Actions

Work Header

By Arrangement

Summary:

Makoto knew his family's tradition about his parent's finding a suitable partner for him, but did they know his preference?

The love and life of Makoto and his partner.

Notes:

UPDATE 14th April: Total brain freeze on where to take the story next, I apologise, unless anyone has any ideas this may take some time.

UPDATED 19th March: I have gone back over this chapter and changed a couple of things to match up with the accompanying piece. I have also found a load of mistakes and have altered those, however, there may still be a few lurking about.

My first attempt at writing anything. So the style is all over the place at best - apologies in advance.

I have a vague idea about what where the story is to progress but nothing set in stone - any ideas are welcome. I have tried to keep the characters to a minimum to make it easier to keep track of the events that are taking place for the time being, this may change, however, I wanted to just focus on the main relationship. It is a little AU with the turn of events etc.

There will be some time skips through the story due to my inability to write those events, or generally my lack of attention span to write those parts and just wanting to go to the main events.

I found the idea on a writing prompt site, which I would cite but can't seem to find it.

That is about it, so good luck with it.

Chapter 1: By Arrangement

Summary:

Makoto has just finished University and on returning home he is informed about his impending marriage. Makoto knew his family's tradition, and about how his parents would find a suitable partner for him, but did they know about his preference?

The background and the run up to the wedding.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

A world away...

Throughout High School and University, Makoto always knew that once he finished his education he was expected to fulfil his duty to his family and marry. Makoto’s family had taken time to meet different families for a potential partner, and during his final year of school a match had been made. Makoto knew nothing about his intended partner other than what his parents had told him, stating that his prospective spouse was a perfect match and complimented him superbly.

Even though this situation seemed to be archaic in the present day, Makoto held no resentment towards his family, he had been witness to the happy unions of his parents and grandparents who were the results of arranged marriages. Makoto had confidence that his family would have found him a partner that would be suitable. However, Makoto had a hope, a small hope that his parents were aware of his gender preference when they had selected the individual, but he would stand by the choice that his parents had made.

Sitting in his final exam at University, Makoto waited for the clock to tick down, he was a conscientious student and had no trouble with the paper, giving him time to reflect on his life, and its future path. Makoto had been received a number of job offers to teach in the local area, but it had always been his intention and his parent’s wish for Makoto to return home. Makoto’s reasons were simple, to keep his family happy but to also give back to the community that had helped raise him. Makoto fondly remembers his home town, full of life and yet relaxed, so much different to the hustle and bustle of the city, his thoughts turn to his High School years, the Swimming Club, the competitions and the one person that he allowed to become more than just friends.

As the countdown to the end of his final exam continues, Makoto reminisced about the boy who had stolen his heart during High School. With a small smile, Makoto remembered the swimmer and the stolen kisses at practice. Throughout their final year of High School, they had gotten to know each other better, with a shy Makoto admiring the other swimmer from afar until they had become friends through their many joint practices together. The innocent friendship evolved due to a quick, chaste kiss initiated by Makoto, who had spent weeks thinking about the other boy and how his lips would feel on his own, and was taken aback when his feeling were reciprocated. Closed mouth kisses made way for more heated exchanges, Makoto loved the warmth and strength he felt when he was with the other swimmer. Makoto was surprised to find that the other boy was a great listener and Makoto spoke about his concerns for the future, his plan to go away to study, his arranged marriage and anything else that he had kept hidden from everyone else, with the exception of Haru. It was a comfort to find that it was not only Makoto’s family that believed in arranged marriages but the other swimmer confessed that his family was the same. Both boys agreed that their secret tryst would remain a secret and chaste (to a point, they are teenage boys after all.). They never proceeded beyond heavy make out sessions and grinding against each other while they were still partially clothed. Both knew that they needed to abstain from going further and going against their families’ wishes but it did provide an outlet for their raging hormones and teenage frustrations, specifically when physical contact was craved.

Makoto smiled at the memory that flooded his mind, the time with the tall, strong swimmer had been so fleeting but it had stayed with him even though they had lost contact years before. Makoto often thought about how the other boy was, what he was up to, wondering what may have happened if they had told their parents about the relationship. Closing his eyes to clear his mind of a future that could never happen, his thoughts briefly turned to his time at University, over the years he had been invited to a number of gatherings of young men and women, and he had enjoyed the experience of group dates, but he always responded to any confessions with a shy smile and a polite refusal, leaving the other party, sad but with an understanding that allowed them to remain friends.

A shuffling of paper near Makoto jerked him out of his thoughts as the Teaching Assistant collected his exam paper and told the class they could leave. After retrieving his belongings, Makoto returned to his room to start the task of packing, with finals over and the start of the spring break the next chapter of Makoto’s life was to begin.


A blessing and a curse...

Returning to his home town was full of excitement and anxiety, it was a relief to be away from the madness of the city and back in the warmth of his family with good career prospects, and a curse as Makoto knew that the marriage arrangements would have to be discussed. What Makoto had not realised was that his family had been busy during his final semester of University, planning and preparing for the wedding and ensuring a comfortable start to the couple’s future.

During the first week back, Makoto spent his time playing with his siblings, catching up with friends that had returned for the break, and waiting for his degree classification to be finalised before turning in the relevant documents to his prospective employer. In the second week of March, Makoto found a letter waiting for him after being out for the day, recognising the University emblem, he quickly picked up the letter and rushed to his room, with his family in hot pursuit to find out the result. Makoto, having kept up with his swimming at University, was able to get to his room first and shut the door. Leaning against the door, he looked at the envelope in his hands, this held his future, it had the ability to make or break his plans and the career he was looking forward to. With shaking hands he carefully opened the envelope, making sure not to rip the contents inside.

“I am pleased, I got to this first, I don’t want to think about what state it would have been in if the twins had got hold of it.” thought Makoto, taking a nervous gulp, he pulled out the letter.

“YEEEEEESSSS!” was heard from Makoto’s bedroom, and as the pressure from the door was released his family tumbled through. Four sets of eyes watched their normally quiet and reserved Makoto bouncing around his room waving the letter in his hand.

“I did it, I did it!” shouted Makoto excitedly. “Makoto, tell us.” said his Mother from under the twins. Unfortunately, Makoto had lost the ability to form any further response other than repeating the previous statement.

Ran, unable to contain her impatience any further wrestled the paper from her brother and quickly read it before joining her brother jumping up and down. “The top grade! No way!” she shrieked, grasping Makoto’s hands and bouncing with him excitedly, swiftly joined by Ren.

“Well Done son.” said his father retrieving the letter from where Ran had dropped it in her elation. At the sound of his father’s voice, Makoto snapped out of his frolicing and looked round. Both parents were quickly pulled into a hug, with the twins clinging onto his torso to be part of the family embrace. “I could not have done this without you all.”

“Makoto, this is all you, we only believed in you. This is your achievement. We are so proud of you.” Makoto’s Mother said looking up at him with teary eyes.

“Mum.” gulped Makoto, swallowing back the tears that were threatening to spring from his eyes. The conversation was interrupted by Makoto’s phone chiming, pulling his phone out of his pocket he saw that it was a message from the school where he had his offer confirming his place.

“Wow!” exclaimed Makoto, looking up from his phone. “That was fast, the school already have my results and are confirming my job and start date with more details to follow.”

Makoto’s parents glanced at each other, just quick enough that it was only caught by Makoto as he replied to the message and put his phone away. Seeing the look that passed between his parents, he spoke up. “What?”

“It is nothing, Makoto, we are just so proud of you, and how well you have done. We know it was not easy to be away from home and living in the city over the past few years.” replied his father. Makoto nodded but knew that there was something else on his parents’ minds but decided to leave it until another time.

Over the next few days, Makoto received the details of his job and met up with the head of the department he would be teaching in, to get the relevant programmes of study and resources. Makoto’s father found him in his room a few days later reading through the material, making notes as he went along.

“Makoto.” said his father.

Looking up from his folder, he saw his father with a serious look on his face, as this was not a usual expression that his father sported, Makoto put down his work. “Can you come downstairs please, your Mother and I would like to speak with you. I think you understand what it is about.” With that his father turned around and walked back down the stairs. Makoto stored the folder away and followed.

As Makoto entered the lounge his father gestured for him to sit down on the sofa opposite them. “We need to discuss your future, now that you have graduated and had your job confirmed.” Before Makoto could get a word out to respond his father continued. “You understand that once you had completed your education that it was time for you to be married, in keeping with our family’s tradition.”

Makoto looked at his father dumb-founded, he know that the marriage would be taking place in his near future but he had no idea that his parents would bring it up quite so soon. With a deep breath Makoto replied “I understand what is expected of me and I am happy with the arrangement. I know that you will have found a great match for me.” With this response, both his parents looked at each other and smiled.

“What does that mean?” thought Makoto, but his musings were cut off as his father spoke. “Yes, we believe that we have found someone that will compliment you completely. We are very pleased with the match. Now, due to you starting your job at the beginning of the new school year we would like to see you settled by then.”

“...What?..” stuttered Makoto.

“This gives us three weeks, there is the week of your graduation ceremony and the following week for you to get settled. This leaves next week.” said his father, contemplating the timings of all the events that needed to take place.

Makoto looked at his parents with wide eyes. “Next week for what?” Makoto had a sudden chill creep down his spine as the realisation of what his parents had planned dawned on him.

“To get married!” said his mother excitedly. “It has all been planned, everything is booked.”

“....” was all Makoto could manage before resting his head on the back of the sofa to compose himself. “But, it is so fast, I knew it was coming but I thought I might has a year or so.” he said, fighting back the tears that were threatening to spill in his panic.

“We realise that this has come as a shock, but we believe that it will be the best for both of you. You will be starting a whole new chapter of your life, a new career, newly married and in your own home.” said his father calmly.

“My own home?” Makoto stated, raising his head.

“Yes, both families have pitched in to buy a house as a wedding gift.” said his mother. “We felt that it would be a great start for you both.” continued his father.

The tears that were threatening to fall, were now flowing freely down his face, choking over his words, Makoto couldn’t believe what he was hearing. “A house!”. He never thought that this would be the outcome, he had expected to live with one of the families or rent for the first few years. “I can’t believe how generous everyone has been.” thought Makoto.

“It is too much, you have already done so much. The arrangement, the planning and now this.” he said to his parents, swallowing back the lump in his throat.

Makoto’s mother stood up and moved to sit next to her son, patting his hand. “No, Makoto. We sat down and spoke about it, we want what is best for you, for the both of you. To give you the best start, you deserve it, not once have you questioned our tradition or given us reason to doubt you in anyway.”

“Anyway.” his father cut in. “As you have now finished University and plan on starting work at the beginning of the new school year, it was planned that your wedding would take place before that. And with graduation and moving, we thought that the ceremony should be done in time to allow you both to get settled before starting work.”

Makoto knew that if he could see what he looked like, it would be a picture, his eyes large and glassy, his mouth hanging open as he took in what he was being told. “So, next week.” said Makoto weakly.


And so next week…

The days following his parents reveal past in a blur, they weren’t kidding when they said that everyone had been busy planning this wedding. Makoto couldn’t believe that his friends had been able to keep it to themselves, but on further investigation he discovered that they had been kept mostly in the dark about the whole situation and thought they were returning for a graduation party, only finding out the true nature of the gathering after Makoto had been informed. The only member of the Iwatobi group that didn't seem to be surprised was Haru, he wore his usually stoic expression but Makoto could see the sparkle in his eyes telling him that Haru knew more about the whole series of events than the others.

"Haru." asked Makoto, Haru looking at his best friend. "Do you something about the wedding?"

"I just helped your Mum with some of the arrangements." replied Haru quietly. "That is all."

"OK, just wondering." replied Makoto, just missing the small smile that crossed Haru face that blatantly showed he knew far more than he was letting on.

In the run up to the wedding, Makoto’s days were filled with final fitting for his outfit, running through the ceremony, the documentation for the house and any other jobs that his parents found to keep his occupied. Rolling over in bed, after hearing his mother call him for breakfast, he realised that it was the day. “Waaaaaaa!” and a loud thud could be heard through the house. “Makoto, are you OK, honey?” called his mother. “Mm..Fine.” came a muffled response.

In his realisation of the day, Makoto had hastily rolled over on his bed and fallen out with a bang, reaching up to the bedside table he grasped for his glasses. Makoto pulled himself into a sitting position and plonked them on his face, and looked around his room. It was looking a little sparse as everything was in boxes being moved into his new house - “not a home yet” thought Makoto. Gathering his thoughts and taking a few deep breaths he made his way to the kitchen for breakfast before the process of getting ready for the wedding ceremony started.

It seemed like only seconds later that Makoto was stood in front of a full length mirror looking at his father and himself. Both men were dressing in simple but well tailored suits that consisted of a morning coat and waistcoat in a charcoal grey, it was decided that black was too harsh a colour for Makoto's colouring. This was teamed with a crisp white shirt and green tie that matched Makoto’s eyes. Makoto was still fiddling with his tie when his father’s hands closed over the top of his to still the slight tremble.

“Makoto.” said his father, having to look up at his son, over the years at University Makoto had continued to gain height that put him well over his father’s six foot one inches. “Calm down, it is nearly time. We are so proud of you son.” he continued pulling Makoto into a hug.

Burying his head in his father’s shoulder, Makoto took a few deep breaths to calm his racing heart. “Thanks, Dad.” he said raising his head and looking down at his smiling father. “It is OK to be nervous, Makoto, this is a big step. Just go out there and do your best.” replied his father, reading the emotion in his son’s eyes.

Makoto’s brother popped his head around the door. “It is time, everyone is here.” At once, Makoto’s hands shot to his tie and then to his hair, wishing that it could be tamed even for just today. “Why am I so worried? I don’t know this person...but I still want to make a good impression, my parents have said this person is perfect for me.” mused Makoto.

“Makoto.” his father said, pulling him out of his panic. “Let’s go.”

The doors to the ceremony room opened and Makoto was greeted by family and friends lined up on each side of the aisle. “Why am I coming down the aisle?” he thought. Makoto looked around the room, it was light and airy, it was decorated in mainly white with delicate shades of green with accents of another colour that Makoto could not quite make out. As Makoto’s father led him down the aisle he was still unable to see who was at the end waiting for him due to them being hidden from view by the guests standing and blocking his line of sight. “Damn it, I can’t see anything.” thought Makoto, hoping to catch a glimpse of his future spouse. He could just make out a dark suit, broad shoulder and short hair. "Is that the registrar, or another official?”

Upon reaching the end of the aisle, Makoto’s father bowed to the registrar, and the family of his intended partner. Makoto, at this point was so overcome by nerves after the first initial glance down the aisle, that he was staring at the floor, unable to prise his eyes away to look up and catch the first glimpse of his future. Only when his father placed Makoto’s hand into the other person’s, and he felt a large hand that was warm, slightly rough and felt somewhat familiar did he look up and see his future spouse.

“Sousuke?” whispered Makoto, looking into the teal eyes that had been haunting his dreams ever since High School.

Notes:

UPDATED 19th March: I have gone back over this chapter and changed a couple of things to match up with the accompanying piece. I have also found a load of mistakes and have altered those, however, there may still be a few lurking about.

My first attempt at writing anything. So the style is all over the place at best - apologies in advance.

I have a vague idea about what where the story is to progress but nothing set in stone - any ideas are welcome. I have tried to keep the characters to a minimum to make it easier to keep track of the events that are taking place for the time being, this may change, however, I wanted to just focus on the main relationship. It is a little AU with the turn of events etc.

There will be some time skips through the story due to my inability to write those events, or generally my lack of attention span to write those parts and just wanting to go to the main events.

I found the idea on a writing prompt site, which I would cite but can't seem to find it.

That is about it, so good luck with it.