Actions

Work Header

Golden Age || Chat Noir x Reader

Chapter 4: Warm Night

Chapter Text

I walked down the street intently staring at my suit covered self —or at least the parts I could see— flipping my hands over and around, letting my gaze wander up my arms and down to my chest. Soaking in every little detail I could.

Other Parisians who were walking down the street gave me many wary and confused looks, undoubtedly unsure what to make of me. They gave me a wide berth and when I wasn't looking a could hear their footfalls patter ever so slightly faster.

I mean, I get it though. Usually the people who dress like this are either superheroes, or the mindless crony of a super villain who fuels their anger until it turns into blind, intense, violent rage. And so far I haven't shown them signs of either option.

As I walked past a large window, I caught a glimpse of my reflection. I stopped abruptly, then took a step back, taking in my new appearance eagerly.

Tall, flexible ears tipped with white sat atop of my head, sprouting proudly out from my hair which was now tied up into a massively fluffy bun. Where Evee's miraculous once sat in my hair, the pearl was now protectively covered in thick paracord which was woven into a monkeys knot.

There was a tight, mostly grey blocked suit hugging my body snugly accented with pink trails all throughout. The pink strands all gathered atop my chest in a sharp diamond shape. Despite what the tiny hexagons would suggest, the fabric wasn't the least bit stiff.

I planted my foot up against the wall next to the reflective window, testing the elasticity. It felt like I was wearing nothing but a type of body compression glove that perfectly tailored itself to every dip and curve.

The true miracle here, however, was that the suit didn't go see through at any bend of my body.

I leaned closer, with my leg still up, to get a better look at my mask, only to get my attention snatched by the unnerving adopted shade of black in my eyes. The iris was indistinguishable to my pupil in a mass of dark that had enlarged to take up most of my eye, leaving nearly no white visible anymore.

My animalistic eyes then roamed to my rear only to find a dangling fluff of a tail sitting at my tail bone. A strong feeling washed over me, a feeling that told me that if this tail was attached to my ass, if it was real, I might just lose it.

As I inched my tentative hands closer I took a more inspecting look and, upon taking the time to notice, it was connected to a belt of some sort. Relief fled out of my now smiling lips.

I pulled the white tail belt around to the front and inspected it closer, finding a small zipper at the top of its base.

Ha! Evee comes with a fanny pack!

I stared at it amused. It was almost painful trying to restrain the laughter pushing to get out of my suddenly puffed out cheeks.

I carefully zipped open my longish, drooping tail and found nothing but a small copper coin with an unfamiliar etching of what could only be compared to a thumbs up, it looked almost rune-like. It didn't really look like it held any purpose however. Despite this, I dropped it back inside anyway safe and sound, a strong feeling told me to make sure not to lose it as I zipped the tail back up.

"Time to test this puppy out." I said to myself, opening and closing my hands with a large giddy smile returning to my face.

The best thing to try first was to see how fast I could go, after all it seemed like that was the least destructive option out of a typical hero's arsenal.

Running in heels is going to be fun.

I stared down at my feet at the heel that curved up the back of my foot. A small smile pulled back to my face.

I guess nobody said this was going to easy...

With butterflies in my stomach I stared out a gentle jog. All was well so far.

I gradually picked up speed, not too bad, but I did feel as though my running was much more effortless than usual. It was like nothing was holding me back. Not even the heels, surprisingly.

I looked down at my feet gently falling against the sidewalk. I grinned widely and couldn't help the tiny, gleeful hop in my running before pushing my speed further.

Each stride pushed me farther than the last, the wind whipped past me as I ran faster and faster, the miraculous that held Evee fluttered harmlessly behind me.

Finally my speed plateaued, it felt like I was going the speed of a car in the city.

I nimbly weaved through the sparse amount of cowering people walking the streets, a wide grin plastered itself on my face.

A feeling of confidence lifted into my chest and spread throughout my body as I zipped past a sprinkling of parked cars.

I stopped after a moment of skidding across the sidewalk for a meter or two. While my eyes were glued to a sleek, black porche before me the only thing running through my head was:

This is a great idea.

I strode confidently towards it, cracking my fingers then giving them a good shake as I rounded to the front of the luxury vehicle that could undoubtedly be worth three of me.

My hands hooked themselves under the front bumper as I squatted in front of it. Taking a shaky, excited breath I engaged my insanely strong legs. At least, they must have been insanely strong, because the car felt so much lighter than I would've thought. It was still heavy sure, but I was definitely lifting the thing.

"Hhrrrrnngfh!" I grunted, with puffed cheeks as the front tires started to have less and less weight on the pavement until they were no longer touching. A confident smile momentarily tipped the corners my mouth upward.

I guess I definitely could have caught Chat after all... good thing Ladybug saved him, that might've been on my mind.

"Hey!" A sudden, authoritarian voice called out angrily. My eyes flicked to a large, ginger police man who was patrolling the streets. My body froze in place like an ice sculpture that would shatter if I made a move to crack my stillness.

His hand landed on his taser gun, slowly pulling it out of its holster.

My heart rate spiked and I stood straight up, dropping the car harshly with an unpleasant crunching sound (promptly scratching up the underside of the bumper) and put my gloved hands up defensively. "D-Don't shoot! I didn't do anything!!"

"Back away from the vehicle with your hands behind your head." He commanded. I did as I was told and placed my now shaking hands on the space beneath my bun.

A surge of needing to get out of there no matter the risk flossed my racing brain. "S-Sir, don't arrest me! I didn't do anything!" My eyes flit all about the dark street, trying to figure out what the hell I was planning. A bluff bubbled to mind, and as if I couldn't second guess this decision, I acted.

"If—If you're going to arrest anyone, arrest him!" I proclaimed, confidently pointing across the street to a man who was innocently standing at the bus stop, watching the event fold out. He looked shocked and hurriedly glanced around himself.

"Him? Why? What did —erh?!" By the time the cop turned his attention back to me, I was sprinting away at full speed like the survivalist I am.

"Hey! Stop!" His voice was quickly getting smaller and far away as I sped down the street. My ears were bent back behind me, catching the stern yet concerned voice of the cop in my wake. "We've got a 10-14 Southbound of my location! Suspect is dressed as a rabbit, Could be dealing with a possible akuma victim!"

Oh Christ!

Parisians did not take akumas lightly so the Police force definitely didn't. I'd heard rumours that if someone had caught whiff of even the slightest suspicion there may be an akuma attack brewing, the police sniffed that shit out hard and fast.

I guess I'll find out if that's true tonight.

My feet were flying, propelling me faster than before as I raced down the streets, trying to think of something, anything!

Unfortunately all my being could focus on was running away and finding a hiding place.

The lightness in my flitting footfalls was swiftly evaporating, anxiety weighting down my feet, as if the pressure of the situation was pulling me down to hell.

I looked over my shoulder and saw the man attempting to give chase, but he was already a city block and some behind me. Unfortunately that didn't calm my racing heart in the slightest. Facing forwards again I realized I was heading right into brightly lit road, flooding with cars (compared to the relatively desolate street I was just found in).

I yelped and attempted to change direction, skidding into oncoming traffic for only a moment. The small amount of time I was in the way of a car didn't seem to matter as the horn blared angrily at me, making my limbs scramble and scamper to get away, parallel with the busy street on the sidewalk.

I shoved and pushed people out of my way. Despite trying my best to avoid them the speed I had was making it hard to control my flailing, out of control body.

"Oh god, oh shit." My breath was laboured as tears started to fill my eyes. I could hear sirens coming to life most likely from first responders, I had no idea where it was coming from or how far away it may be, I was picking up way too much for my brain to handle properly.

Running to the end of the street made me screech to a halt. A sudden moment of clarity lifted into my brain as I stilled, standing straight up. Ears swivelled every which way in hopes to locate exactly where the siren where coming from.

Finally sorting through the sounds, I'd pinpointed the sirens.

They screeched around the corner half a block ahead of me, darting forward in my direction, tires spinning wildly.

"Oh FUCK!!!" I reeled back on myself shooting back the way I'd come. The street lights above and the cars that drove past blurred in my confusion. Tunnel vision consumed me as I focused my attention straight ahead.

The prowlers, however, had gained on me. It's sirens feeling as if it were just behind me, biting at my tail. A blaring voice spoke firmly, and aggressively, cutting the sirens down. "Stop! This is the police! Evading questioning will result in—!" The police officers voice was caught in his throat.

Upon coming to another intersection, the danger of cars hitting me didn't even cross my mind until another cruiser ripped out just in front of me, blocking my path. I instinctively came to an almost instant redirect, shooting across the busy road.

"Wait!—!" The voice tried to warn my scattered brain.

My eyes widened as I realized just where I was. Bolting across a busy road, placed perfectly cantered between bright headlights. The horn was blaring in alarm, pleading to me to move faster as they slammed on the breaks far too late.

My legs felt like they were wading through water. Refusing to go any faster. I couldn't.

The incoming bumper was ready to snap my legs in two with its unrelenting force.

There, in the last breath I could take, preparing for my life after this (if I would even had one), a small jingling reached my ears. A strong force collided against the middle of my back, wrapping itself securely around my body as we jolted forward.

The car slipped past behind me, screeching to a stop a good ten metres away.

I hit the ground hard, rolling and bouncing along the warm asphalt. It took a few seconds to remember how to breathe before a large, scratchy breath dragged itself into my lungs, then roughly coughed it's way out.

My hip was throbbing painfully against the pavement, but other than that I was felt perfectly fine. My heart began to calm itself from that perpetual horror that seemed to feed itself off any overthinking I did.

I groaned, lifting my cheek off the ground by weakly propping up my shoulders and with my forearm. A soreness made itself known by the stiff aching in my body that was definitely not going to help going to school tomorrow morning.

I rubbed my hip in pain, but to my surprise, the suit wasn't ripped. Not so much as a scuff on me.

Another groan that I didn't make roused my attention, ears lazily leaning towards the sound a few feet in front of my legs.

I pushed myself up slightly more, getting a better look over my splayed limbs and felt a sudden familiar frozen feeling taking over.

There was no doubt about it, the blonde hair, cat like getup, sharp claws on those large hands, that was Chat Noir.

I sat up fully and scrambled back, staring with wide eyes as my hand automatically clenching itself against my chest.

He slowly pushed his body up off the ground, lifting his head in my direction in a daze.

Once his striking green eyes landed on me a cold, foreign feeling clamped down on my spine, pinning me in place.

A soft, crooked smile lifted his exhausted face before he let out a big sigh of relief, dropping his head back to the road. He clearly was not experiencing whatever horrible feeling I was wading through.

He lifted his head once more, landing his spellbinding eyes on my wide eyed face. "Are you okay?" He asked, making no effort to stand quite yet.

I opened my mouth, my voice catching in my throat for an awkward beat. "..y-yeah, I'm good."

He nodded once and pushed himself farther up, pulling his legs underneath himself while propping the staff up to climb to his wobbling feet.

"Well, that's a relief." He expressed with an airy tone, padding forwards stiffly. "You aren't after my miraculous are you?" He asked with an amused yet relatively relaxed expression, offering a hand up. The hand without his ring.

I stared at the outstretched palm that was held down to my unmoving form. Another long moment passed before I shook my head, trying to avoid making eye contact. "Uh, n-no I'm not." I said, attempting a smile, but it fell pretty much immediately once my hand landed into his stable grip. He carefully hoisted me to my heeled feet.

"Ah, I see, then Ladybug gave you a miraculous, right?" He said with a side smile, trying to make sense of me.

I blinked a few times, trying to comprehend what he was saying.

Where all the miraculous holders gate kept by Ladybug?

I opened my mouth, attempting to formulate a response that refused to come out. Luckily a police officer cut in just in time. "Chat!" Both Chat Noir and I turned our attention to a well built officer, no older than forty, walking towards us both. "Is everything here alright?" He asked his eyes flitting towards myself, warily.

Chat nodded with a passive wave. "Yeah don't worry about it, there's no akuma here. False alarm."

This seemed to pique the officers interest as his eyebrows raised ever so slightly at me. "Oh! A new hero then?" He asked happily, paired with the brightest beam of a smile navigating through the bushy moustache it partially hid behind. This shift in demeanour nearly gave me whiplash.

The cat themed hero considered the question for less than a second, or possibly didn't even think about it. "Yeah, Ladybug must've found her. It's probably her first night." He said, returning his baton to its place on his lower back.

The officer chuckled, ecstatic now with his attention fully on me. "Oh well, I'm very sorry about that miss, we just hadn't seen you before. Usually you hero's are introduced to the public in a more flashy type of way." He apologized, scratching the back of his neck.

This made me subconsciously step away. "I'm not..." A frown crossed my face as I cut myself off.

Should probably word it better than 'I'm not a hero.'

"I've never met Ladybug." I settled, figuring this would be a better way to break the news to both parties.

They both perked at this, sharing a confused glance momentarily before looking back at me in a way that screamed their sudden, collective uncertainty. The police officer seemed more concerned shown by how his hand flinched slightly towards his firearm.

I glanced from his gun to my surroundings of stopped cars and police, who gating off the area. Pedestrians all stood by, watching with great interest, a surprising amount had their phones out, attempting to get a good shot of what was happening. The small occasional flash from the onlookers forced me to wonder if I was supposed to be put in the public eye, Evee and I hadn't really spoke about that yet. Guess it's too late for that anyways.

My sight trailed to the spinning blue lights that eagerly flashed around behind the two people in front of me. I settled my gaze on the stunning, picturesque seen that was the hero. The blue lights made somewhat of a halo along the outline Chat's fluffy blonde hair and jaw, contrasting well with the dark space we stood in between the yellow tinted streetlights where it gets dark.

And for the third time tonight I was completely winded.

Thanks.

I forced my eyes over to the older man to avoid staring, just as a heat started to slowly lift to my face. "I don't mean any harm though." The way I put it was plain and straight to the point despite the breathlessness of my voice. That may not have been the best way to present my innocence because the look he gave me made it painfully clear he was not buying it if there was no Ladybug stamp of approval.

Luckily, he didn't have any real grounds to do anything, afterall, I hadn't done anything illegal unless they considered lifting a car up a little a form of vandalism. Even with a shifty looking character like me, that was a stretch.

He looked to Chat once more as if asking him I would be a problem. The blonde considered me for a moment before sending the officer a smile, placing a relaxed hand on his hip. "Yeah, I think we're okay now Luis. Thanks."

Luis gave a firm nod before turning on his heels and barking orders, collecting all the buzzing officers who were trying to get a better look at me to head out back on patrol.

Chat turned his eyes on me and gave a reassuring smile as he trotted off the road. I followed, without much thought either.

It was quiet for a moment as we just stood by each other on the sidewalk, staring at the police who were all working on piling into their vehicles, allowing traffic to flow as usual.

I couldn't help the uncomfortable feeling of silence get to me. Another wave of warmth flooded my face as I shifted about in place.

"So... h—?" While the cars resumed their travel, a yellow beetle had rolled down its window to show a few young Parisians cheering and hollering, cutting Chat short. A brunette hung her head out of the cars back seat window as she screamed out to him. "I love you Chat!" She swooned.

Another from inside yelled along with her. "Tell Ladybug we say hi!"

"Who's the bunny chick?!"

"Marry me!"

That was all I could be bothered to make sense of before they were made their way out of earshot. Despite the abruptness of their Chat calling, the hero simply laughed through a devilish grin and finger guns.

Once they were far enough away the hero sighed as his hands flopped back to his sides, completely and utterly exhausted. There were a few more Parisians watching with great intrigue, they looked like they wanted to run over and talk. Not much but nerves was holding them back.

Chat followed my stare towards the group of people excitedly whispering amping themselves up. He hummed to himself before turning to me, a hand gesturing down the street. "You up for a walk?"

I didn't exactly know if I truly wanted to, especially with this unfortunate development of a possible crush. However I wasn't about to chance it with the police again, that Luis guy was just waiting for a reason to put me into custody. Plus, there was a sizeable side of me that felt I owed Chat that much.

"Sure." I decided, walking hurriedly down the street without him.

Unfazed by the cold demeanour, he jogged after me, falling into my stride shoulder to shoulder with a curious look. He seemed to be mulling over what he was wanting to say from the way his mouth opened and closed every so often.

"So uh, who are you?" His eyes flicked towards me, curiosity brimming over and flooding down onto me in a constant pressure.

This slowed my pace briefly, as I took his words in. "... I uh... hm..." The white-gloved hand of mine found its way to my chin, taking time to steep in this seemingly simple question. Was he looking for my name? I'd have to talk to Evee about that first.

A timid chuckle bubbled from my throat as I raised my gaze to him. "I don't know."

He hummed wisely, straightening his spine. "Ah. Amnesia?" He questioned, completely seriously may I add, with a tilt of his ears.

Flabbergasted, I stared at him. Was he actually joking? Is this a normal Parisian sense of humour?

It took a bit before I finally spoke. "Uh, no." Another shy bout of laughter took over. "I just don't have a name for... all this." I gestured to my rabbit hero themed body.

"Do you usually encounter many amnesiac kwami-powered people?" I asked, tipping my head slightly to the side. The cat ears that sat on his head perked as his eyes opened a bit wider.

"Oh! Well... No, heh... I guess I was just expecting things to be more difficult." He confessed, scratching his cheek in an almost bashful kind of way.

We partook in another uncomfortable chuckle until a painful, pregnant silence set itself down again. His eyes landed on his his feet, eyebrows furrowing gently in thought.

I cleared my throat uncomfortably. "So.. uh, Chat Noir..."

His green eyes landed back on my face, politely giving his full attention to me. Unfortunately I didn't exactly know what to say at this point.

"Uh... heh... how did you get a kwami?" I figured focusing on this hero stuff would be best for the time being.

"Oh! Well..." He fiddled with the ring that sat comfortably on his long, sharp finger.  "I helped an old man, and he gave me one." A genuine smile pulled across his face as he turned his eyes back on you. "I guess it's not that exciting of a story, huh?"

I smiled back sheepishly. "Well, at least it's better than the way I got Evee." I guided the protective monkeys fist knot that dangled down my back over my shoulder and lifted it up for Chat to have a better look. "I just found her in a museum." I confessed with a chuckle.

"A museum? ...Did you steal your miraculous?" He questioned hurriedly, absentmindedly hiding his ring behind him.

"No! No! I mean, she just happened to be at that exhibit at that time!" That poor explanation didn't ease Chat's defensive stance. If anything he was getting more sceptical by the second.

"Okay, no! I mean like, ugh! She chose me to be her holder and that's that! She wasn't even part of the exhibit!" I plopped my forehead against my palm and muttered an embarrassed; 'Oh my god.'

He didn't seem feel at ease, but an edge had worn off. "What do you mean she chose you? I didn't know Kwami's did that." He commented, rubbing his chin as thoughts swam throughout his skull.

I sighed and pet down the front of my hair while lifting my head. "You're lucky, because being 'chosen' is the most agonizingly painful experience you'll ever have the displeasure of going through."

he frowned, curiously tilting his head. "What? Why?"

I shrugged. "Beats the fuck outta me."

Literally...

As we came to the end of the block, Chat spared me a glance then made it a point to look both ways before venturing across the road with me in tow.

"Okay, so... I hope this doesn't sound too weird, but I recognize your ears." He said, hopping onto the sidewalk.

I absentminded lifted a hand, brushing against the bottom of my earlobe. "M-My ears?"

He nodded and pointed upwards with a gentle smirk. "That pair of ears."

"Oh!" I looked up to see the rabbit ears falling forward a bit. "Those ones.." A feeling of idiocy warmed my face as my hands shot back down to my sides.

"Yeah, I saw them at the last akuma attack. You were in the alleyway, right?"

More feelings of idiocy bubbled up and started to fuzz my brain, inducing an unnecessarily high amount of panic. "Wha—? Me? Pft! I don't even— why would you—? I mean..— pfft!" My wrists were twitching and flicking my hands everywhere in some form of poorly executed denial, while I made it my job not look him in the eyes.

He swiftly swivelled on the ball of his foot, stepping on light feet in front of me to put our walk to a stop. "It's okay, I'm not mad or anything. I just wanted to make sure that it was you."

A defeated sigh pushed out as I hung my head a bit lower. "Yeah, that was me." I peered up at his brilliant green eyes that seemed to emit their own unique glow. "Sorry I didn't help you out there." 

He shrugged nonchalantly. "It's no big deal, you're new this hero stuff so I don't blame you."

Hero stuff? Buddy I'm not even an official citizen of France yet.

He bashfully gripped at his tricep with his clawed hand. "So then, if that was you, then that means you saw Ladybug and I... get in a bit of an argument."

I sceptically nodded. "Yeah.. is it usually like that?"

"I mean, it didn't use to be. But, she's just been getting more and more stressed out ever since our previous kwami guardian passed down his responsibilities onto her..." thoughts fled and flickered about in his head, trying to pin whatever it was in his mind down. "So... it's been a handful of years now." The way he said this squeezed my heart.

But that didn't last.

His downcast expression suddenly turned optimistic in a matter of seconds. "But, what I'm thinking is that maybe it'll help if we had an independent miraculous holder! One she doesn't have to monitor!" He cheered, his hands locked together at his chest while he leaned down towards me.

I couldn't help my jaw dropping a little. "Me?!" I squeaked, placing a hand to my chest.

He nodded enthusiastically. "Yeah! That way she doesn't have to worry about as much stuff, and could relax a little more, like the way she was before!"

"B-But I've never fought before! I have no idea what I can actually do!" I countered desperately.

He waved my concerns off. "That doesn't take too long, plus," He pointed down at my feet. "We know your legs can carry you pretty fast, so, one less thing to figure out!"

This air that hung around him was brimming with unbridled hope, as if convinced I was the key to his Lady's problems. A soft breeze tussled throughout his golden soft hair, making stands sway all about his eyes and tickle the bridge of his masked nose.

Nothing made me want to brush it out of his face more than in that moment.

What kind of person did it take to spend this much time and effort working to protect people they didn't know or have a reason to care for?

Call it selfish, but I wasn't sold on making this a thing I did just out of the goodness of my heart.

"... I really don't have much business as a hero." I said a bit cooler than I'd meant to as I side-stepped around him.

"What?" He tilted his head confused, eyes trailing after me before padding along behind. "Why?"

"I don't know. I just don't really feel the urge to do the 'hero thing' I guess." I said, only sparing the littlest glance at Chat who was thoroughly confused.

"But why not?" He sped up a little stood in my way, staring down at me with his pair of rich green eyes. "Having another hero will help everyone. It's a net positive!"

"Maybe in your eyes." I stated, avoiding him by slipping under his outstretched arms. "I barely have enough time to attend to my own life, so I can't really babysit all of Paris on my downtime."

He frowned after my retreating form. "So you don't have anyone you want to protect?"

An unintended stagger in my feet publicized that his words sunk deeper than I was letting on.

"..Of course I do." I grumbled sourly, keeping my head forward proudly.

"Then..."

I turned my head slightly, to get a better earshot to his softened voice.

"... why don't you?"

The question hung heavily overhead, suffocating me slowly. Something told me not to look at him, but my eyes would not listen as they peeked back.

The street lights around softened to nothing but a dewy glow, capturing everything inside its sweet embrace. All but Chat's blazing green eyes, lapping at the dark of his slotted pupils. The smallest of encouraging smiles turned his stern frown into a kaleidoscope of unreadable intentions behind the sly yet earnest front.

An embarrassing heat slid its gross tendrils up my legs and my wrists, meeting at my neck to light my face ablaze.

"I..." Something innate inside snuffed out anything I might say. So instead of forming a sentence like a functioning person might, I stand there silently, looking away.

"Okay. Just... come to the next patrol!" He urged, stepping towards me.

I took a step away, one shoulder pointed towards him, the other itching towards my escape. I eyed him confused. "... what?"

"Yeah!" He said as the gears turned in his head, gradually getting more enthusiastic, making up this plan on the fly. "You'll meet Ladybug, we'll all patrol, and if we run into something fishy, you can try your hand at being a hero!"

He took another step towards me, smirk teasing and confident. "That way you can be sure if the 'hero thing' really isn't for you. Sound fair?"

My eyes flicked all over his body language, finding nothing that may suggest some type of trick.

A light, pillowy laugh pulled from his chest and wrapped me up in a feeling of security. "I don't bite. Promise." He crossed his heart with his right hand up defensively.

Oh, please don't promise that.

I nearly choked at the sudden perviness floating about in my head unmonitored. I placed my fist to my mouth as my eyes dropped to my toes under a cough.

"Fine..." My tall ears fell back as I cleared my weak voice.

The cat hero smiled brightly, excitedly even. "Purrfect! Meet us at the Sacre-Cœur, tomorrow night at 10:30!"

He started to back up with a skip in his step. "Don't be late, Bunny!" He said, shooting a pair of finger guns right before grabbing his staff off his sacrum and leaping off into the night atop the moonlit rooftops.

"...Bunny?..." I groaned and fell face first into my palms, completely burning up. "Oh god..."

 

*•.*•.*•.*•.*•.*•.*•.

 

Quietly, I climbed back through the window to my new home. Careful not to fall out and land on the pavement again.

Unfortunately I had entered with about as much grace as I left with. I stumbled into the living room, falling against the coffee table when my leg didn't quite get through the window as smoothly as I'd needed.

I fell to the ground in an exhausted heap, curling into a ball at the warm embrace of the home. "Evee, istop." I muttered.

The costume dematerialized off my now completely spent body, like it took that last bit of strength I had. The specs of light culminated back into the tiny hare, Evee who landed on the floor next to me with droopy eyes.

"That was fun." She said with a sarcastic tinge laced in her tone, laying on her back close by.

"Mhm..." I agreed, fighting to keep my eyes open.

She sighed, but stayed quiet, almost letting me drift into a much needed sleep. That didn't last too long before she yanked me back to consciousness with a start. "So, are you gonna go? On the patrol, I mean?" She asked, looking towards my scrunched, frowning face.

"I don't know." I grumbled, keeping my eyes closed, hoping she wouldn't say anything that may need me to respond so I could drift off this time.

Another few seconds passed.

"But you said you'd go." She whispered, staring at me.

I cracked my glare upon her tiny, unintimidated form. "Yeah, I know."

"So what're you going to do?" She pushed.

"I'm going to sleep." I grumbled and closed my eyes again. "We'll see how school goes tomorrow."

She hummed and floated to close the window, cutting off the slightly chill draft. "Well then. You should probably go to bed." She said, then floated back to my limp form breathing steadily.

"... Y/n?..."

No response.

She looked towards the hall that held the rest of my sleeping family in their rooms, then back to the giant baby in front of her. She shook her big head with a tiny smile before floating over and heaving a throw blanket over me.

"See you tomorrow."