Actions

Work Header

Father in the Wolf's Den

Chapter 33

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Almost in an instant, he opened his eyes, sitting up in bed to look around the room. He half expected to still see the two dead bodies just by the door where they had been the day before, but they were nowhere to be seen. There wasn’t any blood, but the scent of the hydrogen peroxide still almost burned into his memory at that point.

Even the bed had been moved back into place compared to the strewn about way it was the last he had seen it. It was almost as if nothing had even happened, but everyone in the house had known better to think otherwise.

Heisenberg shifted beside him with a light groan, only then waking up to the day they had ahead of them.

Last night had mostly been a blur to him. He remembered getting out of the tub and getting dressed after he had been provided with clothes. Then his memory practically skipped to him straightening out things down in the living room, to him later being led to bed by the man beside him.

“You’re thinking too much,” Heisenberg spoke gruffly, lazily pulling his arm closer to him to press a kiss against it, “You just got up, give that brain of yours a break.”

“It’s hard not to think of anything knowing what we have to do today,” He said, gently placing a hand onto Heisenberg’s head to run his fingers through his hair, “It's a big day.”

“I know that,” Heisenberg said, eventually sitting up in bed himself, “I just don’t want to think about it yet, not while the morning is still good.”

He nodded his head lightly. He understood perfectly, and he wouldn’t want to ruin any of it either.

“How’s your face doing?” Heisenberg then asked, bringing a hand towards his face to ghost over the bruises, “It doesn’t hurt anymore? I swear those bastards…”

“I’m grateful it's just bruises,” He moved away from Heisenberg’s hand, throwing his legs over the side of the bed and getting to his feet, “And no, they don’t hurt anymore. It's just skin coloration at this point.”

“You’ll tell me if it starts hurting though, right?”

He paused at the closet door, hand hovering over the door handle, just where the leader had been. For some reason, it almost seemed like Rose was still hiding just on the other side.

“I promise I will,” He said finally, turning the doorknob and opening up the closet. He crouched, digging more towards the back to look for something to wear, something that he wouldn’t bother missing if it were to get ruined.

He could hear Heisenberg get up from the bed, his feet hitting against the floor as he stretched.

Eventually, he managed to find two different pairs of old pants and shirts, standing to toss Heisenberg a pair.

The other caught it, giving him a confused look.

“You can wear that,” He explained, “I assumed you wouldn’t want to get yours ruined.”

“Thanks,” Heisenberg said, setting the clothing down on the bed to start getting dressed.

He followed, stripping himself of the clothes he slept in to change into the new ones.

“I’m going to go wake Rose up, get her ready for her day with Elena.”

“Alright, I’ll join you guys downstairs in a bit,” Heisenberg responded as he slipped the shirt over his head, “Rose will eat at her place, right?”

“Yeah, she will, why?”

“Figured I’d call to have something made for us to pick up and eat for breakfast,” Heisenberg shrugged.

“Oh, alright. The phone is over there,” He replied, motioning to the old phone he kept near the back of the room, out of the way. He remembered finding it when he first moved in, surprised that Chris had even bothered to keep it in the building. He knew just how...well...Heisenberg could handle his phone, so he kept it so the man had something to use that he was more familiar with.

“See you downstairs.”

-

He watched as Ethan walked out of the room, shutting the door behind him to give him his privacy as he made his way over to the room just next to them.

A sigh escaped him as he made his way over to the old phone, trying to remind himself of the exact number that he needed to call. As he reached it, it began to ring.

The ringing immediately confused him. The only ones who would know the number of the old thing would be Ethan and his siblings, which Ethan had given him permission to share. What would any of them want so early in the morning?

Not wanting to test his luck he waited till the phone stopped ringing. When it did, he reached over to pick up the phone, only for it to begin ringing once more. He frowned, just wanting to order something for them to eat, and annoyed that he couldn’t do such.

After a moment of deciding, he finally picked up the phone.

“Hello?” He asked plainly.

“Heisenberg-”

“What the hell do you want?”

Alcina sighed from the other end of the line, “Will you allow me a moment to speak? You’d find that you would know much sooner if you’d let me.”

“Well you certainly have my attention, but if you’d speed it up a bit, I have food to put an order in for to feed people,” He said, pinching the bridge of his nose lightly.

“I’m offering you a warning,” She huffed, “Being mother’s favorite, she has shared some troubling information about your little man thing.”

“Whatever she told you is wrong,” He said immediately, “Ethan did what he had to.”

“Then why on Earth did mother tell me that he murdered a family?”

“That family tried to murder him!” He snapped, “And quit listening to every little damn thing Miranda has to say, she’s lying out of her ass.”

Mother-”

“Don’t correct me, I know what I said. She isn’t my fucking mother anymore, even more after the shit she pulled last night.”

“What are you even talking about?”

What am I talking about?” He repeated, fist clenching at his side, “That bitch sent men after Ethan and Rose! They were trying to fucking take her away from him and fucked up his face! You should see all the goddamn bruises on him. If you think I’m going to call her mother after all that then you’re just as fucked in the head like her.”

“She did what? That doesn’t sound like something mother would do at all!”

“Yeah? Well, she did it, and she’s going to fucking pay.”

“What exactly do you even plan on doing?” Alcina almost seemed scared to ask.

“If I told you, you’d stop me,” He said simply, “Just stay out of my way, you got it? And don’t you even think about warning her because I swear to you, Alcina, I will get back at you for it. This is between me and Miranda, none of you will be a part of it.”

“Is that a threat, Heisenberg?”

“Think of it as whatever the fuck you want it to be. I’m done talking,” He said, not even giving her a chance before he set down the phone, hanging up on her.

He closed his eyes, taking a deep breath before opening them again, letting out the air as he began dialing in the number he actually wanted to be on call with.

-

He sent Rose out of the room and downstairs and had just finished packing her bag for the day. It was a bold thing to do, and he surely was overly confident in himself that he would return to get her, and that she would only need what was in her bag before they’d go home.

He stood from where he was crouched on the floor, zipping up the bag before he caught a glimpse of the outside through Rose’s window.

It was nice outside.

The sun was shining in an almost cloudless, baby blue sky. Birds outside were chirping their morning tunes as the grass below swayed in the gentle breeze. It was nice, and he knew as much. If only the buried bodies just beyond his property line would agree.

Would anyone be looking for them?

He shook his head quickly at the thought, leaving the room behind him to head downstairs.

When he reached the bottom of the steps, he was greeted with the sight of Chris and Rose sitting on the couch, as if the tears in the fabric meant nothing to them. He then let his eyes wander around the room. The blood was gone as well, and very few pieces of furniture was left standing. A lot of things had to be moved or thrown out since they had been damaged or broken. Though, a lot of the said furniture was simply moved to the basement below after Heisenberg insisted that he would be able to fix it for him. He didn’t have any room in him to bother arguing, so he simply put it away in storage in the meantime. Everything else had been disposed of.

“Are you alright?”

He looked over, noticing that Chris was now looking at him.

“It all feels like some strange dream,” He admitted, walking over to the couch to set the bag down beside it.

“That’s pretty normal,” Chris said, offering him the seat beside him, “It feels like that for me too.”

“I barely even remember all of it anymore,” He then said, looking at the offered seat before gently shaking his head.

Chris only nodded.

“Are you three ready to go?” Heisenberg asked them as he descended the stairs, “Sorry, that call took longer than I wanted it to.”

“I’ll have to go grab the lei-”

“No, it's fine. I’ll cover it.”

“Are you sure, Heise?”

“I’m sure.”

He looked towards Chris, who shrugged.

“I’m ready to go,” Chris answered.

“Yeah, we’re ready to go then.”

-

After dropping Rose off at Elena’s to spend the day with her, they made their way to the village. It seemed like the entirety of its people ignored them besides the vendors and market sellers. They made their way to whatever the place was that Heisenberg had requested their food from, looking out for anyone happening to sell guns just along the way.

They didn’t have any luck at first, nor did anyone magically come by to offer them any when they sat outside the shop eating their breakfast for the morning. When they were finished, they only began walking around again.

“Christ, suddenly no one is selling shit!” Heisenberg huffs, frustrated after another hour of nothing.

“Think your mom told them not to?” Chris mused, “Fewer things for us to kill her with.”

“I wouldn’t be surprised if she did,” Heisenberg shoved his hands into the pockets of his pants, “Which pisses me off even more if it is true.”

“Maybe we’re just missing them somehow?” He offered.

“That hashas to be someone selling somewhere.”

“Ethan Winters, is that you I hear?” A man called out to him, immediately making him look over to where he heard it from.

“Duke?” He questioned.

“The one and only,” Soon enough the Duke’s carriage came into view just as they rounded the corner, “My, you look troubled. Sharing will, without a doubt, ease your worries, and I am all ears.”

He opened his mouth to explain their situation before he noticed what exactly the Duke had laid out on display.

“Since when did you sell guns, Duke?”

“I began selling as soon as you needed someone to,” The Duke responded easily.

“Freaky,” Heisenberg muttered beside him, earning a chuckle from the other man.

He walked over, letting his eyes run over the different types that were available. Carefully, he reached out, taking one of the guns, the M1911, in his hand, letting himself get a feel for it. It was strange to hold the cold metal of a weapon again after so long.

Heisenberg walked up to the Duke, dropping his large pouch of lei in front of him.

“I want to buy everything this can get me,” Heisenberg stated, retreating his hand back towards his side.

The Duke observed the bag of lei carefully before smiling, “It seems you three are in luck. You may take the entire stock.”

The entire stock?”

“Heise, how much did you just pay?”

Heisenberg only shrugged at both him and Chris.

“Nothing I can’t make back,” The man put simply, already beginning to pick up guns and shove them under his arm, “Now let's go, start grabbing things.”

Notes:

I think once this story ends, I'll add in one extra chapter where I just put all the ideas and scenarios that never made it into the final cut, cause there are actually quite a few. I think it'll be cool to just put those discarded ideas out there.