Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warnings:
Categories:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:
2021-06-23
Completed:
2021-11-27
Words:
47,798
Chapters:
18/18
Comments:
354
Kudos:
1,745
Bookmarks:
222
Hits:
28,689

The L in Ladybug Stands for Luka

Chapter 6: Lionfish Duo

Notes:

Pretty boys look at the pretty fish and are so awkwardly dumb

Heyo sleep deprived author Ice here to give you my favorite chapter so far :] Also we made a lot of song references this chapter see if you can guess em :D

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

[He has a better appreciation for puns than her]

 

He taps his fingers against his seat nervously. His bodyguard remains in the driver’s seat, driving them both back to the Agreste Mansion after his fencing lesson. He told Luka to meet him at the aquarium at 2 o'clock, but it’s already 2 and he’s no closer to the aquarium. He knows he needs to ask his bodyguard to drive him there if he wants to be only a couple of minutes late, but his nerves aren’t helping him do that at all.

He’s helped me drive places without my father’s knowledge before, I just have to ask and he’ll probably help.

With a heavy inhale, he stops tapping. “Hey uh.. would you mind taking me to the aquarium? I promised a friend I’d be there.. like 3 minutes ago.”

His bodyguard’s eyes stare back at him in the rearview mirror for a moment before he gives a slight nod, turning the car around towards the direction of the aquarium. Adrien gives a quiet ‘thanks’ in response.

The car arrives at the aquarium almost 15 minutes late. Once the car stops moving, Adrien is all but shoving himself out of the car. He hates showing up super late, he doesn’t want Luka to think he isn’t coming and leave. Speed-walking as gracefully as he can, he moves towards the front of the aquarium, looking around for Luka. He spots him waiting somewhat near the doors to the aquarium, eyes glancing around until they land on Adrien. There’s almost a relief in his expression.

Luka walks towards him, fingers messing with his bracelets. “I didn’t think you were going to show up…” He laughs quietly. “Glad you could make it though.”

I can still make the most of this. I’m late, but that doesn’t mean this won’t be fun.

“Yeah, sorry I’m late, but I would never stand up a friend. Unless I get physically stopped maybe. I had to ask my guard to take me here.” His hand snakes up to the back of his neck. “It’s still pretty early though, let’s go!”

The other boy smiles softly and nods, following Adrien as he begins to walk into the building. “You’re right- What do you want to see first?”

When they get to the doors, the two of them show their individual tickets of which there was much conversation over who’d be paying until they both agreed to pay for their own ticket. The entry guards let them through and then they’re inside, walking into the lobby. There’s two signs, one towards a small reptile area and the other towards all the different marine exhibits. Adrien watches as Luka’s eyes light up at the reptile sign. His eyes dart to the blond.

Adrien shoves his hands into his pockets. “We could check out the reptiles before moving on to everything else?”

Luka smiles, tucking a stray hair behind his ear. “Sounds good to me.”

They both wander into the small reptile section. The room is circular with about eight different cases in total all around. Signs stand in front of each case with a couple benches in the middle and a few small lights to illuminate the reptiles, but overall the room is pretty dim. Together, they visit the first case; One filled with a couple lizards roaming their own handmade habitat.

The dark-haired boy reads the sign silently to himself before his eyes lock on two of the lizards. The lizards are next to each other, laying down and vibing. It looks kind of like they’re holding hands. Adrien glances at Luka’s hand, resting at his side. His nails are still chipped. He wonders what it would feel like just to-

“Adrien?”

What-

His eyes zip up to see Luka looking at him. “You looked lost in thought.”

What am I thinking, Ladybug would probably not hold my hand unless it’s an akuma battle or something.

“Haha, I was just thinking about what exhibit to go to next?” He notices he’d been reaching his hand out and pulls it into his pocket.

Luka nods, “Oh well you can pick whatever you’re interested in seeing.” His eyes move to the next case and light up when he notices there’s snakes in the small habitat. Adrien watches his excitement with a strange fascination. The other stands close to the glass, eyes watching the snakes inside.

He likes snakes?

Adrien coughs loudly into his arm. “You seem really interested in snakes. Is there a reason why?”

“Oh!” He flushes a bit. “Yeah, I guess I just got excited. They’re one of my favorite animals. So many people are afraid of them and don’t approach them, but most snakes are usually chill and just misunderstood. A lot of snakes are friendly little guys.” His face watches the snakes slither around behind the glass with a sense of understanding and Adrien feels momentarily out of place.

“I’m personally not afraid of snakes, I’ve held them before a few times actually.”

A look of appreciation and joy washes over Luka. “I guess you’re someone special then.” He smiles softly at the snakes one last time before facing Adrien. “What’s your favorite exhibit here, we should go there next…”

Someone special?

Ignoring his comment, he instinctively grabs Luka’s hand and leads him out of the reptile room. “Penguins! I love them so much they’re easily my favorite.” He guides Luka past some fish ponds and outside benches and trees towards the penguin exhibit.

When they reach the exhibit, Adrien notices his hand intertwined with Luka’s soft and calloused hand. His eyes move to notice Luka also looking at their hands. The two of them meet each other’s eyes for a moment before each taking their own hand into their pocket.

The two of them watch the penguins swim around in comfortable silence. Adrien feels the ghost of Luka’s hand still and it takes him almost a minute to stop focusing on it. He’s always liked holding Ladybug’s hand. This instance isn’t any different.

One penguin jumps out of the water, only to flop back in, swimming close to the glass. A little girl in front of them shoves her face into the glass, trying to wave at the guy.

Their little peaceful silence gets interrupted when Luka breaks the silence. “What kind of music do you like?”

Get to know each other questions huh?

I probably can’t say Kitty Section...

“Well, I usually focus on the instruments rather than the vocals. So anything I hear with a nice melody I suppose.” His eyes stay on the swimming penguins instead of looking at Luka.

Said male hums to himself. “I understand that. Have you ever heard any Beatles songs before?” His voice seems to pick up in thought. “Or Fall Out Boy? Or My Chemical Romance? Or-” Adrien glances at him and notices Luka flush awkwardly. “Sorry.”

I guess he must listen to a lot of music since he is a musician and all.

Nudging his arm, he laughs lightly. “Don’t apologize. I don’t know all those, but I think it’s cool that you do.”

Luka grins, nudging his arm back. “You should check some of them out. I could make you a list if you’d like.” They both wander over to other exhibits nearby.

“That would be nice. I’ve been running out of auto-generated youtube music.”

And Kitty Section videos…

The two of them wander around, chatting idly and watching the different marine animals swim and move. It’s nice, simple, and comforting in a way Adrien considers soothing after so many stressful photoshoots and classes. They admire the seahorses, discussing each other’s favorite movies and then there’s turtles where they quiz each other on Jagged Stone lyrics. It’s all enjoyable and he forgets about his responsibilities and his mansion and his school.

Then someone taps him on the shoulder and he turns to see a girl with a ponytail and jean shorts.

“Are you Adrien Agreste?” She has her phone in hand and suddenly everything is back. The illusion and peace are disrupted.

He smiles, but it’s tight and hurts. “Yes! That would be me. What can I do for you?”

Her lips perk up. “Can I take a photo with you and your boyfriend?” She holds up her phone. He notices her nails aren’t painted like Luka’s are.

Adrien hears Luka’s voice behind him, but he’s too scared to turn or move. “Oh huh? Sorry, I don’t know him. I think you’re misinterpreting.”

What? He could’ve just said we were friends… Does he not… want to be seen with me or something?

She raises an eyebrow and rolls her eyes. “Whatever, can I have a photo with you, Adrien?” Her feet tap in a minor annoyance.

“Yeah, of course.” His voice strains.

He forces a smile and she takes a selfie with a peace sign. She looks at the photo and then smiles. “Thanks.” She turns around and walks back to a group of girls. Her hand with her phone raises into the air.

“Guys guess what I got for my blog!”

Oh. She planned to post it. Of course.

His eyes move to Luka and notice Luka is watching him. He gives a thumbs-up, low enough the girl won’t look back and see it.

He knew she’d post it and start a rumor or something didn’t he… Was he trying to… protect me?

The pinches of hurt eating at his insides turn to mush and butterflies. Suddenly the fact that he even thought to doubt Luka’s kindness makes him want to burst out laughing. He doesn’t, but he thinks about it. The two of them wait until the girl and her friends leave the area before speaking.

“Sorry, I just didn’t want all of Paris thinking you were dating me or something. That’d be bound to make trouble for you.” He scratches the back of his neck.

“You didn’t have to do that for me. But yes, it is really annoying when people do that. Hell even if it was true and I suddenly got bashed on, then oh well, they’re uneducated clearly.” He thinks about Kagami and how stupid someone would be to judge her just because she likes Marinette.

Luka nods frantically. “I mean of course! I just,” His head lowers, his voice growing quiet and private. “Know what can happen when people are uneducated. I had to protect Juleka from a lot of it before she got held back a year.” He clears his throat, changing the subject before Adrien can respond. Pulling his blue hoodie off, he hands the jacket to Adrien. “If you want, you can put this on with the hood to try and help make it harder for anyone to recognize you.”

Seems like there’s more to what he was talking about- Wait his hoodie?

“I-I mean it’s kinda cold, isn’t it? You should keep it.” He looks between Luka’s face and the hoodie in quick flashes.

The other frowns. “I don’t have to worry about being recognized. Even Rose has barely gotten recognized before.” He presses the fabric of the hoodie into Adrien’s hands. “You won’t enjoy yourself if people keep coming up to you right? Then the possibility of me getting cold isn’t nearly as important.”

If I were a random fan, I’d recognize you…

He grips the hoodie tighter, “You win this round, but you’re still important.”

“If you’re really concerned…” Luka’s face is pink even in the dim light. His eyes look at the crabs in the tank nearby. “I could wear your overshirt…” His ears go red. “O-Or not! That sounds bad-”

Luka? Wearing my white button-up? Wearing- Him- He-

His brain doesn’t really think about it. “No- yeah- that sounds like a fair trade.” He says it all in one quick breath.

Luka takes his white overshirt when Adrien offers it. Adrien slips on the blue hoodie, pulling the hood on and feeling snug, even safe. His eyes move to Luka, who rolls up the white sleeves like Adrien does and pops the collar too. His eyes move to Adrien and he smiles dorkily. “The blue suits you.”

Everything suits you.

Adrien opens his mouth to respond back, but Luka goes redder and pulls him towards the fish tunnel where all the walls are glass by the wrist. He notices that the back of Luka’s neck gets red like his ears.

He gets his wrist released when they reach the beginning of the tunnel. Luka’s eyes widen and he looks up at it. “I’m surprised you’ve been allowed to go here.” He nears the glass and presses a hand to it lightly. “It’s beautiful.”

“Father used to take us on sorta field trip-like outings all the time before.. But it’s really nice. He doesn’t know I’m here now though.” He resists checking the time. He doesn’t want to know.

Looking over his shoulder at Adrien, Luka gives a small nod of empathy. “Hopefully he won’t find out then.” He walks farther down the tunnel and makes sure Adrien is following before he stands near the glass again. His head follows different fish. “I’ve always thought that water had this unique, hidden beauty… but it seems life only adds more to that beauty.”

The lights from the water and the tunnel flicker over Luka’s skin, making him look kind of like an angel. He notices scribbled writing and art all over his arms, each most likely handmade with a pen or sharpie. There’s a snake that wraps around his lower arm, lyrics he can’t read very well along the spine of the snake. Flowers, fish, and birds are drawn around with more scribbled words. His chipped, black nails shine on the top next to the glass and Adrien’s gaze moves up his arm to his face which looks so peaceful he can’t help but smile himself. The lights are like little stars in his eyes.

“Yeah.. really beautiful.”

Like Ladybug…

He thinks this is the closest he’ll get to a ‘yes,’ and it makes his heart drop.

Luka turns and motions behind himself. “I think I see the Lionfish exhibit over there. You ready to head over?” He smiles.

Adrien is snapped out of his haze and laughs awkwardly, hoping Luka didn’t notice him staring. “Ready as I’ll ever be!”

They make their way over and stand in front of the lionfish tank, watching them all swim around. One of the lionfish stands out to him when he notices it’s sharp blue color. It dances around another lionfish, one of the more common cream and caramel colored ones. The two fish swim together, interacting more than most of the rest of the fish.

A voice interrupts his thinking. “They kind of remind me of us. Colors and all.” Luka comments.

Of us, huh?

We’re the lionfish duo, I guess.

“The blue one is incredibly pretty then.”

Luka’s eyes go wide, his face lighting up like fireworks. “What?”

Adrien takes a moment to realize he spoke aloud. “Huh?”

The dark-haired boy’s eyes look to the floor. “You think I’m p-pretty?”

His face becomes increasingly warmer as his own words hit him. He covers his face with his entire arms, thinking that maybe, if he becomes still enough, he’ll become a statue. It doesn’t work. Instead, his mouth blubbers for an excuse as his brain works overtime to deheat. “I meant- I just thought- I mean the fish was pretty. Fish are nice.”

“Oh right, of course.” Luka’s face turns from being flushed to more dark in a morbid embarrassment. “The fish are pretty. Definitely the orange-yellow one.” He says in a quiet shame.

Oh fuck. Wait, does he think I’m pretty?

They stand in a much more awkward silence. Even as they begin to talk more and more as time passes, the awkwardness is still there in spirit.

As the two of them say goodbye later on, Luka hands Adrien a quick list of song and band recommendations.

“Sorry M’lady, he already knows that my love is fire.” He quips in a singsong manner when an akumatized villain that's going after people not in love doesn’t target him as much as Ladybug.

He doesn’t know the victim, just guesses someone got friend-zoned hard today.

His focus is momentarily on Ladybug, looking for a reaction at his Chainsmoker lyric, but they just respond how they usually do. He knows Luka might not remember everything from the songs and bands he recommended, but he has a gut feeling Ladybug understood the reference even if they seem indifferent.

The two jump down and he moves under, dodging the villain’s attack and Ladybug grabs the villain’s arm with their yoyo, giving him a chance to cataclysm the object with the akuma inside. It cracks open, the small moth flying out and fluttering until Ladybug snatches it with their yoyo and de-evilizes it.

Overall, the fight wasn’t too bad and Chat Noir gets up, grinning at Ladybug.

“Another one bites the dust, huh bugaboo?” He bounces on his feet.

They stare at him with a confused expression before shrugging to themself. “I guess so kitty.” Their earrings beep. “Bug out!” And then they’re off.

I wish they would’ve laughed at one of my jokes. Maybe Ladybug doesn’t want any clues to their identity.

He bounces off towards his house, ring reminding him he has about 3 minutes left till he de-transforms. Paris isn’t all that busy below, since the akuma struck during the first few hours of nighttime. Chat Noir watches the streets simmer down, people locking up shops and turning off lights.

His ring beeps loudly in his ears as he notices a familiar figure down below, biking through empty roads.

Luka?

Chat Noir hops into an alleyway, de-transforming in the dark. Plagg sighs tiredly, floating into his jacket pocket. “If you end up giving your damn clothes to him again, you better give me fountains of cheese.” He grumbles. The ride home from the aquarium the other day was filled with angry Plagg looks.

“Zip it Plagg that's not happening again. I’m just gonna say hi, so stay in there.” He wanders to the end of the alley, turning and seeing Luka on the sidewalk, squatting next to his bike.

Wait, this is a great chance to show him I listened to the music he sent.

Adrien walks over, squatting down on the opposite side of the bike. “Hey Luka.” He points a finger up at the sky and Luka’s eyes focus on him after he speaks. They follow his pointed finger, looking up at the dark sky above.

His mouth opens to respond to Adrien, but Adrien speaks first, speaking to the tune of the song. “There’s a million, billion, trillion, stars. But I’m down here with you.” His voice cracks at the end, changing the lyrics a bit.

Luka’s eyes light up and he smiles. “It’s because I’m ghosting your dreams.” He almost sings it, voice melodic.

He got my reference!

A giddy grin covers his face as he rushes through his memory for a response. “Then I’m living in a daydream.”

Singing to a song I couldn’t play...

“And I, well I found a burning rose.” He hums.

Adrien rests his arms on his knees. “It takes a dedicated hand.”

The other boy opens his mouth to respond, but his face contorts and he giggles softly. His hand moves and covers his smile in an almost dainty way. It's soft and cute and Adrien is suddenly unable to remember any song lyrics. He feels his heart go nuts, in a way he doesn’t have happen very often. He doesn’t realize he’s subconsciously leaning in to memorize every detail until he bumps the bike and it crashes backwards into him.

He’s pushed onto his back, face being squished with metal and pedals. Luka stops giggling immediately, rushing to grab the bike and pull it off him. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to let go!”

Luka sits down beside him, looking at his face. “Are you okay?”

Physically? Yes.

Homosexually? No.

“I’m fine! I’m fine. It’s okay, really. All good!” Despite this, Luka still helps him sit up, the bike kickstand down this time. He rests a hand against his cheek, checking for any bruises or injuries. Adrien holds his breath. After a second or two, Luka’s hand drops, seeming to find nothing.

“I’m glad you’re alright then.” He sits back. “What are you doing out so late though? Won’t your Dad get onto you?” He bites his lip.

Adrien misses his hand. “Oh y’know.. Just wanted to go out for a bit. Night times nicer than day anyway.” He glances at the bike. “Why are you out so late?” He absentmindedly rubs the spot on his cheek that Luka’s hand was.

Said male blinks and ducks his head awkwardly. “I worked late today, but I sort of got lost on the outskirts of the city. Now my bike needs to be pumped.” He blinks in some form of realization. “How are you going to get home? The Agreste Mansion is a long walk from here.”

So is the pier.

“Oh! I think there might be a bike pump at my house so you can fix your tires. If you’re up for walking that is..” He laughs nervously.

Luka’s eyes go wide and he flushes. “Oh. Sure.” He looks to the side. “I can make sure you get home safe then.” He mutters the whole sentence quietly.

I don’t think there’s a bike pump at my house. I’ll figure it out.

They both stand up and begin walking, Luka pulling his bike behind him. At first it’s a silent walk, nobody outside and only some lights being on in the windows. The silence isn’t bad, but it becomes a bit awkward after a while.

He decides to interrupt it. “Have you been working on any new music lately?”

The question makes Luka go bright red and he isn’t sure why, but his face calms before Adrien can think much of it. “Rose and I have been working on a couple of things for Kitty Section, but nothing major.” He coughs into his arm. “What about you? Any interesting photoshoots or projects lately?”

My Ladybug related project has been pretty big, but I probably shouldn’t mention that.

Adrien laughs awkwardly. “Nothing special. I did get shoved into way too many onesies the other day though.”

Luka giggles again. “Really? I kind of want to see that!” He adds a quiet, “I’m sure you looked good though.”

Maybe I should find some of the pictures for him…

“It was kinda silly, but thank you. I’ll ask Nathalie for some of the photos for sure.” He smiles to himself.

The dark-haired boy smiles too. “Thanks.”

They stop at the front gates of the Mansion and Adrien teaches him how to climb over. The two of them make their way over to doors and it suddenly hits him that he usually gets in via his window using Chat Noir. He can’t exactly do that now.

“You said you have a bike pump I could borrow?” Luka quips.

Uhh….

Adrien doesn’t have to look around very much to realize that he definitely doesn’t have a bike pump. “Damn, maybe I don’t have one afterall. Or Father had it moved somewhere since I haven’t biked in years.”

Luka frowns slightly. “Okay. I guess I’ll need to get going then. I can probably walk back before it’s too much later.” He scratches the back of his neck. “Goodni-”

“Wait! I don’t wanna make you walk all the way back. Nobody checks my room until past noon on weekends so.. You could stay the night?” He holds extremely still, unsure if he overstepped some invisible boundary.

Apparently, he didn’t.

The other boy simply fiddles with his fingers. “I wouldn’t want to cause you trouble though. What if someone catches me there?” He grips his bike.

Staring holes into the ground, he responds quickly. “You’re not trouble Luka. If we’re caught then I can deal with it, Nathalie is usually forgiving anyway.”

C’mon.

He hears Luka exhale sharply and then say, “Okay.” A pause. “Where should I put my bike?” His voice is quiet as if he’s already worried about getting Adrien caught.

Nobody would notice it if it’s around the back right?

Adrien motions for him to follow and the two of them walk around to the far side of the Agreste Mansion. There’s a small bush and some flowers with a tree that’s close to the outside of his window up above. He helps Luka pull the bike over.

“No one checks out here very often so it’ll be fine for the night.” He motions up towards the tree. “That is how I get back into my room after sneaking out.”

I do not need to mention that now with Chat Noir I just vault into my room.

Luka nods. “Let’s go then.”

Notes:

Adrien's a simp my dear readers :]

Anyway hope you enjoyed! see you next thursday!!!