Actions

Work Header

Land of the "Living"

Chapter 18: So Close

Chapter Text

Ethan was on his way to the reservoir. He was so close. One lord left. He was excited. He couldn’t wait to get everyone together. He couldn’t wait to apologize to Karl. 

 

That thought made him glance toward the factory and noticed it was enveloped by the same tree-like structure from his initiation. 

 

No. 

 

Ethan started running towards the plant. He tripped in the snow and fell hard. He scrambled to his feet as he choked on his panicked breaths. He got up the hill and took in the massive structure. “Heisenberg?!” Ethan shouted as he got closer, “K-Karl!?” He feared the worst. Was he too late? Did Miranda-

 

“Ethan!” The formerly dead man turned to see Karl running up to him, “Where the hell have you been?!” 

 

Ethan looked at Karl “I-Karl, what’s going on?” 

 

Karl ripped off his cracked glasses and grabbed Ethan’s arm tight, “Miranda knows.” 

 

Ethan’s blood ran cold. No, no no no. He needed to know how. “What-How?” 

 

“I don’t know! But we have to move now. She’s coming. The army….my army…” he looked towards the structure and gritted his teeth “She made this so I can’t activate them...I don't know where she is.” There was terror shaking the older man's voice.

 

Ethan’s face paled. Someone told. It was his fault. This was all his fault. 

 

“Where do we go?” Ethan asked and Karl gulped. They both knew there wasn't a good answer. 

 

“Just...follow me…” The greying man muttered and began rushing away from what used to be his home. 

 

Ethan followed closely behind. Who the fuck told her? How much did she know? It had to be Alcina, did she really play him? Ethan’s throat hurt as he fought to inhale. If he just fucking told Heisenberg. If he just told him anything he felt. This was his fault, and Karl didn’t even know. 

 

They ran through the trees and entered a clearing. It started to rain as a flock of birds crossed over the tree line on the opposite side. Karl stopped, his boots sliding against the sleet. He looked at them in horror. He looked back at Ethan and balled his fists. “Ethan...you need to go. Run as fast as you can...I can hold her off.” 

 

Ethan narrowed his eyes and shook his head “I’m not- I am not leaving you.” He started to walk closer “I’m with you.” He met Karl’s eyes and the other man looked confused. “This is...” Ethan stopped. He couldn't bring himself to tell the other lord. So, he didn’t.

 

Karl nodded and looked back towards the flock. “I...Ethan, if we die here, It was...I know we aren't friends, but it was nice knowing you.” 

 

“We are friends,” Ethan stared at Karl as the wind kicked up around them, “ and it was nice knowing you too.”

 

Heisenberg’s hair whipped around his face as met the blonde’s eyes and bit his lip. He nodded again. They didn’t have time for apologies. They didn’t have time to understand how they felt. They were in this together. That is what mattered. 

 

The birds landed and Miranda appeared. The woman stood about 20 feet from them, his wings stretched wide and her eyes narrowed behind her mask. She tsked as she looked at them, “You really thought running would save you? Even begging for mercy won’t save you now.” She walked forward and the two stood their ground. “Seems you two have lost your lead. Not that you ever really had one.” She turned his gaze towards Ethan and he fought back a shiver, “I do have to thank you though, Winters. I knew what Heisenberg was doing, but I wouldn’t have known he was ready without you.” 

 

Karl looked at Ethan and his lip quivered, his eyes were mixed with confusion and betrayal, “You-?” His voice cracked. 

 

Ethan walked forward and stood in front of the bearded man, “I’m sorry,” was all he could bring himself to whisper out. His hands turned a deep black and the ground rumbled a little. 

 

Miranda looked down, “You have so much potential. You are so connected. Such a waste.” 

 

Karl was thrown away by a gust of wind, propelling him into a tree. He hit the icy ground and took a moment to look up. Then his eyes got as wide as saucers. 

 

Ethan felt the pain before he understood it. Miranda had transformed again and was now right in front of him. He looked down at the pain and saw her hand in his chest. He looked back up as she smiled and yanked it out. He saw what was in her hand. His heart. He grabbed his chest, feeling only managed flesh and broken ribs. He fell back and laid in the melting snow. The sky was fuzzy. It didn’t hurt as bad as he thought it would. Suddenly Karl’s face replaced the sky. 

 

The Engineer focused down and yelled. Ethan couldn't hear him, but it looked like he was screaming his name. Ethan opened his mouth, but nothing except blood poured from it. Karl's eyes were red as he grabbed Ethan’s coat tight enough where his knuckles were white. 

 

The last thing Ethan saw was a tear falling down Karl’s cheek.

 

The world went black.