Actions

Work Header

bitch’s broken hearts

Summary:

you tried warning them that their date—mate was a menace and that, although supposedly soulmates, was manipulative. they didn’t listen. it wasn’t your problem anymore. you still feel bad for those five. they didn’t deserve the oncoming tragedy awaiting them. what they did deserve was a chance at becoming better, at feeling better about themselves. begrudgingly, helping them would mean helping the rest, and that was something you would put the weight in so that those five could live happily again.

[ lowercase intended ] [ short story ] [ no romance ]

Notes:

— this is a short story of the trope , “ the skeletons live with a mentally abusive / manipulative girlfriend “ , hopefully not too cliche

— its a short story worked in parts

— enjoy

Chapter Text

at first, it was only you and alyza. alyza was a brat who always wanted what she demanded, but she offered a place for you to stay at a reasonable price, and you both never spoke together much anyways, so you didn’t care. there were, of course, a few arguments. one of the most memorable ones were when you came out to her as a nonbinary lesbian. you thought she wouldn’t have cared, but apparently you were wrong.

first, she asked how you were nonbinary since the only genders were girl and boy which led to you arguing over how much genders there are. then she proceeded to ask how you could be nonbinary but be lesbian since lesbians are females who strictly like females to which you corrected as lesbians are non—males who are attracted to non—males. after that, she dropped the lesbian topic, but still said she didn’t care for your pronouns and would simply use she / her.

without any energy to argue about being invalidated, you made an agreement to let her use she / her pronouns as long as she doesn’t assume anything since you’re lesbian.

you both left it at that, but you still are uncomfortable with being considered female when you aren’t. you weren’t going to lose a place to live over pronouns though.

whatever alyza says is pretty much irrelevant, anyway.

 

 

a few months in and alyza comes home, sighing dramatically near you. you ignored her, blatantly showing her that you didn’t care about anything she had to tell you. after a few more loud sighs, you gave up. “ what do you want. “ you said more than asked.

” oh my gosh! thanks for asking! “ she beamed, stopping her stupid pouting. “ i met the most cutest skeleton today! he is sooo cute and sooo funny and sooo... “ she babbled on.

you stopped listening.

you couldn’t give a shit about who alyza dated. her relationships never lasted a few months at most. besides, it’s not your problem who she sleeps with or falls in love with. that’s all on her. “ and so, i was thinking of letting them bunk with us! “ she ended. you blinked. “ what? “ “ were you not listening! they’re filthy fucking rich! they were one of the first monsters to convert their gold or whatever into surface currency and so now, they are drowning in money. they agreed to pay for the house if they stay as well! “ then it hit you.

she only wanted them for their money. “ so i stop paying rent if they come? “ you raised a brow. she scoffed. “ of course! i don’t need your petty little rent money anymore. “ she rolled her eyes. you shrugged. “ cool. “

 

 

when the skeletons, [ which you figured out were called sans and papyrus from alyza ], arrived, you didn’t care much. papyrus was a sweetheart, you couldn’t lie. when he entered the door, tall and proud, standing at seven feet tall, you could tell from just his bright smile that he was as great as he presented himself. and he was. 

he gave alyza and you a big hug. alyza seemed to appreciate it more than you did. his brother, sans, the skeleton alyza was talking about, seemed lazy but kept an eye on— eye socket on you. he had eye lights that were bright in contrast to his brother’s dim eye lights. you concluded that was because papyrus’ sockets were smaller.

alyza told you to introduce yourself while she went to use the bathroom, so you did. introducing your name, you went to tell them your gender and sexuality, but papyrus interrupted. “ WHAT A LOVELY NAME FOR A LOVELY LADY! “

“ ew. no. “ you blurted. sans’ eye lights dimmed a little. “ sorry. i’m not a woman. “ you averted your gaze, suddenly uncomfortable with the accusation and the sudden glaring from sans. “ YOU AREN’T? “ he asked with a tilt of his skull. “ i’m nonbinary. i’d appreciate it if you’d use they / them pronouns to refer to me. and, uh, i’m a lesbian. so, thought i’d let you both know, uh, i guess. “ you shrugged. the silence was deafening, making you majorly uncomfortable. 

well, until you were suddenly lifted. “ THAT IS COMPLETELY OKAY MY THEY FRIEND! “ 

you blinked before exhaling a giggle from your nose, smiling softly. “ good enough. “ papyrus looked at you with wide sockets, you suppose, but quickly hugged you. “ I AM HONORED TO BE ABLE TO LEARN ABOUT THIS NEW GENDER FROM THE SOURCE! “ his voice was even louder since you were pressed against his collarbone, but you didn’t mind. “ mhm. “ you hummed. you didn’t have the heart to tell him he used the pronouns incorrectly, but you hadn’t minded.

you felt as though papyrus and you were going to get along quite fine.

 

 

one month into the skeleton’s stay and a lot of changes. one of them being the house. there were only three rooms in the previous house which meant papyrus and sans had to share a room, but alyza had suggested they bought a mansion with more than enough space.

sans and papyrus didn’t mind, and you didn’t either, so, sans bought the mansion and you moved in. papyrus instantly liked it because the living room was large enough for him to do indoor training without causing damage to any furniture. alyza instantly liked it because it was big, pretty, and expensive. sans liked it because alyza and papyrus were happy.

you? eh, you didn’t care. after the house purchase, alyza and sans were much closer and in the span of only a month, sans asked her out, which she replied with yes. papyrus and you had also gotten closer. it was mostly because now that sans and alyza have been going out on dates, papyrus was left out of the picture. you noticed and thought it wouldn’t hurt to befriend papyrus a little more.

you enjoyed his company.

he would always rant about his day and his adventures in the underground. he spoke of how he always wanted to be in the royal guard which disbanded since there was no need for it on the surface. he also spoke of how he loved to cook and how terrible he was while underground. it dawned onto you that you had never tasted papyrus’ cooking.

so, you suggested to eat some when he cooked.

he looked completely shocked, gaping at you before squealing and pushing both hands on his cheekbones. “ WOWIE! OH BOY, WOULD I LOVE TO! I’LL GET TO COOKING SOME PASTA RIGHT AWAY! “ he sprinted to the kitchen and you could automatically hear the sounds of pots being taken out and ingredients being used. alyza and sans were still out on their date, so you decided to go and watch papyrus whip up a dish for you. you weren’t an expert at cooking, but you weren’t clueless. you could make a mean bowl of cereal if you wanted to.

and maybe a good plate of fried rice if you watched a tutorial on how to make it on youtube.

watching papyrus in focus was amusing though. that happy—go—lucky, everyone—in—the—world—deserves—a—pat—on—the—shoulder—and—a—pint—of—nice cream facade disappears. he looks focused and seems to be putting one hundred percent into cooking a simple pot of spaghetti. 

possibly one hundred and one percent.

“ AAAAND VOILA! THE PERFECTLY CRAFTED PLATE OF PASTA TOPPED WITH HOMEMADE TOMATO SAUCE AND COOKED TO PERFECTION! “ papyrus turned around with an appetizing plate of so spaghetti. you must admit, it smelt even more heavenly. you took the plate of food with a thank you and picked up the fork. twirling the fork in the noodles to gather up to eat, you took a bite and chewed. papyrus stood patiently but seemed a little nervous.

you dropped the fork onto the plate with a clatter.

” no way. this shit is fucking good. it’s actually so fucking good. “ you covered your mouth while complimenting, swallowing. papyrus lit up. “ REALLY? I MEAN, AHEM, OF COURSE IT IS! “ papyrus put his hands on his hips.

” there’s no way you were that bad to have mastered cooking in just one month. “

” ON THE CONTRARY, I WAS SO BAD, THE TASTE WAS... “ he paused. “ INDESCRIBABLE. “ he finished. “ well now, your food tastes so good and i am going to have that whole pot to myself, thank you. “ you continued to eat, talking between chews. “ NYEH HEH HEH HEH! WE, OF COURSE, MUST LEAVE SOME FO— “

” was that your laugh? “

papyrus was cut off by you asking your question, you swallowing the food left in your mouth to point it out.

” NYEH HEH HEH? YES, IT IS! “ 

“ it’s adorable. you should laugh more. “ 

you continued shoving food into your plate, nearly done with the food still left on it. papyrus took this time to think about you a little. every time you complimented him, his soul fluttered, but he never felt anything past platonic for you. perhaps it was just because you were one of the first nicest humans to him? maybe? he couldn’t tell, but in all honesty, he hadn’t minded. there was something telling him that he should savor the time he had with you. something in his soul. something deep within him, telling him that he should soak up all the happy moments with you.

he didn’t know why, but he wasn’t complaining.

 

 

when sans had come to the mansion telling alyza and you that he had a few cousins from out of town arriving here and that they needed a place to stay, you hadn’t cared.

in all honesty, you were a little relieved. it meant that as papyrus was soon going to go to college, he had someone else other than you to keep him company. you still had to work to purchase items of your own and whatnot. 

when sans said few, you thought two or three. 

not eight. eight is not a few, sans.

alyza was ecstatic to meet sans’ family, probably hoping they were as rich as he was. alyza has been using sans ever since they started dating. buying, taking her places, pleasure. [ they hadn’t fucked yet but had loud and intense make out sessions... somehow... you weren’t going to get into it. ]

when they arrived, alyza took the lead to introduce herself and giving them a tour. you were going to join them, but you decided not to. papyrus was cooking again and you were all ready to have the first plate. “ sup pap. “ you pulled out a chair from the massive dining room table to sit on. papyrus turned away from the now boiling pot of water. “ OH HELLO! HOW ARE YOU WITH OUR ADDITIONAL FAMILY? “ papyrus asked before turning back to pour the hard noodles into the pot.

” eh, haven’t met them. they are taking a tour with alyza and sans around th’ house. “ you propped your elbow onto the table, your hand curled into a fist while you rested your cheek against your knuckles. “ AH... IS THAT SO? “ he asked, still focused on cooking. “ yeah, but i came here because i want to be the first to eat your heavenly spaghetti...ly. “ you snorted.

papyrus let out a few NYEH HEH HEH’s. onwards, you both idly chatted about whatever came to mind when papyrus finished his, always delicious, spaghetti. being handed a plate of the food, you immediately dug in. “ where has this been all my liiife. “ you groaned, already stuffing your face with spaghetti.

” i smell food. “ “ back off sans, this piece of heaven is mii— you’re not sans. “ you rolled your eyes at the somewhat familiar voice behind you, but when turning around, you paused, correcting yourself at the sight of the cousin that was behind you.

” i am not sans. “ he said to you, but his one, big, red, eye light was focused on your food. your gaze flicked from your food to the unknown skeleton. “ you want it, skeleton with the cool eye light? “ you held the plate up to him. his eye light immediately started tracking your movement, but went back to the food. after a moment of silence, he snatched the plate and completely swallowed the entire plate of spaghetti as though he had swallowed it, thankfully leaving out the metal fork.

” holy fuck. “ you muttered. you wondered how he practically breathed your plate of spaghetti and leaving only a little bit of spaghetti stains near the bottom of his mandible. “ DID YOU ENJOY IT? “ papyrus asked hopefully. the odd skeleton’s eye light slowly looked towards papyrus. “ one a’ th’ best things i’ve eaten... in a long time. “ at this, papyrus looked a little better.

” how the fuck did you taste it when you breathed the whole thing in? “

his eye light snapped to you. “ i didn’t... breathe it in. human. “ he said human as he tilted his head down a bit. this is when you realized that he was massive and tall. sans was only five foot two, but this guy was bordering six feet. “ yeah, but it looked like yo— is that a hole in your skull? “ you narrowed your eyes at the skeleton but then immediately widened them when you saw the cracks along the top of his skull.

” ...yes. “ he answered. “ hey pap, can you plate us some more spaghetti? “ you said as you stood up. the eye light never left you. “ OF COURSE! “ papyrus grabbed two more plates [ since this new skeleton still had your previous one ] and started scooping more spaghetti into two more plates. you took his cheekbones and stood on the tips of your toes to see a gaping hole in his right side of his skull. “ holy shit, this is cool as fuck. “ you muttered.

” ...cool? heh... you must be blind if you think it’s cool. “ he backed away from you, red eye light gone and in place a black abyss. you raised a brow, unfazed. “ i’m not blind. i’m telling the truth. had my sans taken that hit, he’d be dusted as soon as the blow hit. “

from the corner of your eye, you noticed papyrus flinch.

” obviously you aren’t as weak, plus, a cool looking scar never hurt anyone. you’re still standing from an obviously fatal blow to the head, and that, my friend, is cool. “ you explained, arms crossed. the skeleton stared at you, analyzing you almost. soon, the big red eye light reappeared [ which you noticed was to the side where the injury wasn’t on ]. “ i musta... underestimated ya’ human. “

you correct him but stating your name.

” huh... i’m no good with memory, cause a, “ he knocked the side of his skull, inches away from his injury. “ this. but i’ll try ta’ remember. “ 

“ i think we’ll get along. anyone who can devour papyrus’ spaghetti faster than me is an instant friend of mine. “ you joked. papyrus took this cue as a way to insert himself to the conversation. “ HERE YOU BOTH ARE! TWO PLATES OF MY WHOPPING, INCREDULOUS DISH, SPAGHETTI! “ 

you and your newfound friend ate the food like no tomorrow.