Actions

Work Header

"One Day I Will Punch A Customer"

Summary:

“Do you want the good news or great news first?”

“Good.”

“I’ve got you a job.”

“...And the ‘great’?”

“It’s with me and Megs!”

No. No fucking way.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter Text

Light poured in through the windows of the apartment, Shadow blarily opening his eyes with a glare as the light shone on his face. The dark curtains did little to block the light unfortunately, the flowers on the windowsill swaying slightly as a breeze came through.

With a grumble, the balck and red hedgehog resigned himself to his fate. If he wasn’t going to be able to sleep again, then so be it.

With a look of longing towards his warm bed, he made his way out of the room, not even bothering with socks or gloves just yet as he continued rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

“Well good morning, sleepyhead!”

The bat’s greeting was met with a glare as she smirked in reply. “What a ray of sunshine you are.”

“It’s too early for this.”

“INCORRECT. ACCORDING TO STATISTICS, YOU HAVE WOKEN AT A LATER HOUR THAN THE MAJORITY OF MOBIANS. YOU ARE JUST DRAMATIC.”

“No one asked you, Omega.”

“I WILL TAKE YOUR SOUR ATTITUDE AS THE RESULT OF A LACK OF COFFEE.”

Well, that wasn’t entirely incorrect in all fairness.

Instead of verbalising this though, the hedgehog just trudged over to the counter Rouge was leaning on, reaching up into the cupboard for the bag of coffee beans.

And then immediately ate a handful of them.

“Shadow hon, why.”

“Why are you acting surprised about this.”

“Because I’ve never seen anyone else eat coffee beans straight from the fucking bag.”

“You’ve seen me do it repeatedly.”

“And I will never understand it.”

He ate another handful in response, because he’s that mature.

The three remained quiet after the coffee beans debate, Rouge sipping her tea whilst staring wistfully out the apartment window, and Omega cleaning the dishes, still a comical sight despite the fact it was their routine.

Shadow himself sat at the dark wooden table, legs swinging idly to keep his pads from touching the cold kitchen floor. His heart felt… warm, knowing that this was his life, sharing an apartment with his two best friends, waking up to playful teasing and the smell of Rouge’s tea and whatever lemon-scented dish soap Omega was using that week.

It was peaceful.

The faint ringtone from down the hall brought him from his musings as he leaped out of the table towards his room, ignoring the faint chill as his feet met the floor.

His phone was, mercifully, still sitting on the nightstand as always, the contact name bringing a rare smile to his face as he swiped across the screen to answer.

“Good morning, Maria, how are you?”

Bright laughter met his ears, slightly distorted by the static of the phone but still completely unmatched. “Oh don’t be so formal, you goof! I’m alright, I’ve convinced grandpa to take a break for once and watch some movies with me so I’d say that’s a win!”

“Thank chaos for that, when was the last time he left his ‘science lair’ as he so fondly calls it?”

“Hmmmm, y’know I’m not convinced he ever has, maybe he’s stuck to his chair.”

“Perhaps, you never know with him.”

“That’s what makes it fun!”

The bubbly laughter continued as they spoke, joking about the man that had raised them and giving updates about their lives since their last phone call only the day before, grinning until their faces hurt.

A cough cut through one of Maria’s bouts of laughter, Shadow immediately ceasing his own as he waited for her to breathe normally again.

“Are you-”

“I’m fine, Shads, you worry too much.”

“I didn’t even finish the question, how do you know that’s what I would have asked?”

“Cause you’re my baby brother, silly! I know you too well.”

“I’m 17.”

“Still my baby brother, asshole, you’ll never escape the title.”

He snorted at that, but didn’t continue denying it, instead letting a smile return to his face. “Yeah yeah, love you, Maria.”

“Love you too! Same time tomorrow, don’t be late!”

“When am I ever?”

“Well there was that one time-”

“Shush, it isn’t my fault you called when I happened to get roped into helping Omega with the dishes.”

Another bubbly laugh and another few goodbyes until the call ended, the hedgehog continuing to stare at the phone for a few moments after, smile still on his face.

Setting it back in its place on the desk, he moved to grab a clean pair of gloves and socks, carefully maneuvering them around his inhibitor rings before turning to the mirror and attempting to fix his quills.

Now satisfied with his appearance, he made his way back down the hallway towards the kitchen and living room, where Rouge lay splayed on the sofa with what was probably her fifth cup of tea that morning, Omega nowhere in sight.

Shadow himself decided to sit in the armchair that he had claimed as soon as they had originally walked through the door, the dark fabric causing him to almost blend in as he curled up and glanced towards whatever stupid tv show Rouge had decided to zone out to this time.

They sat there in comfortable silence, Shadow vaguely piecing together the context of the badly acted scenes that played out, before the sound of a cup being placed on the ground broke him from his trance.

Noticing she had his attention, Rouge grinned. “I’ve got news.”

“...Okay?”

“Do you want the good news or great news first?”

Hearing that from Rouge was never a good thing.

He had no way out of it though, that was a fact he’d learned long ago, so instead he just sighed before answering “Good.”

“I’ve got you a job.”

“...And the ‘great’?”

“It’s with me and Megs!”

No. No fucking way.

“I feel like those options should be reversed.”

“Oh ha ha, very funny.”

“I think so, yes.”

Rouge snorted at that, shaking her head in exasperation. “You’ve got an interview in a few days, so be prepared, I’ll help you of course! I know just how to butter up the higher ups.”

It was his turn to shake his head. “Of all the places, Rouge-”

“Oh come on, Shadow! Don’t act like it wouldn’t be fun for all three of us to work together, you have to admit it would be a riot.”

“Rouge, it’s retail. You know I’m not a people person.”

“Oh don’t worry about that, you’ll probably just be told to make the aisles look nice and that’s it, the most you’ll get is the occasional question about where something is.”

“Are you sure?”

She seemingly softened at that, giving him a genuine smile instead of the smirk as she moved to pick her cup off the ground and bring it to the sink. “I’m positive, you’ll do wonderful hon! It’ll be nice to get out of the house, have money that’s your own, really your own.”

“It’s minimum wage.”

“You get what I mean.”

“I do,” he gave her a small smile in return, getting up to follow her back to the kitchen. “I just have one request.”

“Oh?”

“If we’re working together you’d better tell me every rumour you hear.”

“My, my, you wanting to hear about workplace drama? I’ve made a great influence it seems.”

“That’s debatable.”

“Oh shush, you know I have, But yes, of course I will, you’re my gossip buddy!”

“Damn right.”

As they began to go about their day, Rouge continued talking about the store she and Omega, and soon Shadow himself, worked in, filling him in on any specific rules or ‘tea’ as she called it.

“Don’t worry, hon,” she said. “Me and Megs will look out for you against any assholes.”

And even as he protested that he could look out for himself, the worry that had built up dissipated at the words.

Maybe it wouldn’t be so bad.

Notes:

So uh, retail au go brrrr-

I'm making an actual fic for once! Let's see how far I get lmao, but I'm hopeful! I'll update as often as I can but I'm not sure if there'll be a set schedule or not, I never do chaptered stories so this is v new to me :,) I hope you enjoy!!