Actions

Work Header

Oneshots, Requests, Fanart, and Alternate Paths

Notes:

The first chapter is exactly what the title says. It starts at the second break.

TW FOR CHAPTER:
It's not too bad and very subtle, but there is mention of self-harm and negative thoughts towards the middle. Please read with care.

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter 1: Chapter 11 Alternate Path

Chapter Text

You woke up when the credits were rolling by Sans’s snoring. Slowly, you stretched your arms and yawned. Papyrus stirred, indicating he was returning to consciousness.

“COME, HUMAN. I HAVE A SURPRISE FOR YOU.” He slung Sans over his shoulder and started walking towards the staircase. You followed Papyrus upstairs to his room and waited by the door while he dropped Sans off on his bed.

“HERE, BEHOLD! I HAVE MOVED YOUR BED INTO MY ROOM AS YOU HAVE SO FAR PROVED TO BE WELL-BEHAVED AND A LOYAL COMPANION.” Wait, when did he have time to do this?

“I WILL NOT HESITATE TO REMIND YOU, HOWEVER, THAT THIS PRIVILEGE CAN JUST AS EASILY BE TAKEN AWAY AND YOU WILL GO BACK TO THE SHED INDEFINITELY. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ON THE SHELVES OR DESK.” On his desk sat a laptop, a bunch of paper, the office supplies from earlier, and an autographed photo of the dancing robot from the tv. The shelves were mainly comprised of books and a Rubic’s cube.

“UNTIL YOU HAVE PERFECTED THE ART OF ATTACK MAGIC, IT IS BEST FOR YOU TO STAY INSIDE WHEN I AM NOT AROUND. SO I HAVE ALSO TAKEN THE LIBERTY OF PURCHASING TOYS!” You looked at your basket bed, and on it lay a tennis ball, a squeaky-bone chew toy, and an old stuffed animal with a missing eye. You couldn’t place its species, but guessed a rabbit.

“Thank you, sir!”

You tried to be polite. To be fair, you had quite a few stuffies back home that you missed. You could always get a hug from stuffies if no-one else… it was comforting to have another one.

He seemed pleased with this response.

“THEN WE SHALL RETIRE TO BED.” With that, he climbed into his military-level-made bed, and you curled up with the bunny.

————————

When you woke up, Papyrus had already left the room with a note. It read:

{Good day, Doomfanger.

I have gone to work and left your breakfast in the kitchen. I have included magic supplements to improve your magic reserves. Sans with check on you around noon and bring you lunch. Keep practicing magic -perhaps you can try summoning a shield or some form of defence.

Sincerely,

The Great and Terrible Papyrus}

So you were alone… cool, cool. You had lots of experience of it, anyway. You got up and went to the kitchen. Eating your breakfast, you put your dish in the sink. Time to practice magic! God, that was so cool. You weren’t going to get over that any time soon.

You placed your hands on your chest and your red, glowing soul appeared. You didn’t even have to think about it this time! Putting it back, you donned your bow and arrow. Nice. Maybe you should try to shoot at something. You didn’t want to be destructive, though…

You knew you weren’t supposed to go outside, but Papyrus said that the collar would protect you… Besides, it would only be for a little while.
Putting your collar on full display, you stepped out into the frosty air, searching for a target. A block of wood! Perfect. Taking aim, you shot at the stump and missed by several feet. You were about to retrieve your arrow, when another one spawned in your had while the other dissipated into nothingness. Well, that’s convenient.

You missed a couple more times until you finally hit the target. You could feel a flare of focus and determination for hitting that one spot and drew back your arrow, but before you could, a few more arrows had already locked on and hit the target with increasing accuracy. Interesting…

You chose another spot; a snow poff. This time, four more arrows hit it in a row, with you only having to fire the first. You had no idea where they were coming from, but you assumed what Papyrus referred to as your “magical reserves”. Speaking of which, you were starting to feel tired. You hadn’t exerted much energy physically, but perhaps magic had a similar effect on your body. So figuring you had had enough for now, you returned to the house.

That was fun…

Now what?

———————-

You didn’t have enough energy to practice anymore without eating more magic supplements, and the clock above the counter said it was only 0945. Hm. Well maybe you could read a book! No, you weren’t allowed to touch his shelves or their contents. Go for a wal- wait, never mind. You didn’t feel tired either, having just woken up, so sleeping also wasn’t an option. Looking around the living room, you spotted the tv remote… covered in mustard and other miscellaneous wetness. Actually, you were good.

What was there to do? Dogs and cats were able to entertain themselves during the day, so why couldn’t you? You were a “pet”, after all.

Well… there was one thing you co- No! Not happening. Besides for the night before you came, you had been really good about it. Besides, you shouldn’t make a mess of his kitchen as he explicitly stated… But you already disobeyed a direct order by going outsid- no. Stop. You had to maintain control. You could do this. Breathe.

What about something less harmful?

You started scratching at your wrist, but it just wasn’t the same. Gah! What else was there?!

Wait…

You could explore! Yeah! There was a hallway in between the kitchen and the tv, facing the front door that you hadn’t been in yet. There were a couple of doors. Surely a peek wouldn’t matter, right? Besides, you were dying of boredom! The first door was a closet full of boxes, labeled things like, “Old Clothes”, “Photos - 2009-201X”, and Useless Junk Covered in Mustard”. The first few were normal, but that last one was weird… Papyrus seemed to like cleanliness, right? Maybe that was on purpose…

Tentatively opening the flaps, you peered inside. There were a few things; a group photo of Sans, Papyrus, Undyne, a few others you didn’t know, and a… human. That’s odd. You flipped it over. On the back, it read, “Don’t forget”. Huh. Another photo was of a tall skeleton monster in a lab coat, cradling two baby skeletons. “Dad” was written across the frame. When you set it down, however, you couldn’t remember what it was of. You looked again. But by the time you put it back a second time, it were as if your mind had stuttered and erased the contents of the photo…

The last object the box held, was a single rusty key. You turned and saw a locked door at the end of the hall, seemingly beckoning you. You wouldn’t otherwise be this impulsive or disobedient, but you were SO bored that curiosity and the possibility of stimulation consumed you. You turned the key in the lock and heard a click. You tentatively opened the creaky door to reveal a beaten-down staircase with cobwebs filling the dark crevices. Stepping down, you noticed a linoleum floor with few tables covered in papers, blueprints, and lab equipment. But in the very back of the room held a large machine hooked up to a computer.

It looked like a circle, big enough to be a doorway.

While it was clearly off, you could hear a low hum emanating from it. Stepping closer, it started sparking. Out of instinct, even though you thought you didn’t have enough energy, your bow and arrow were summoned and called to action. This set off a chain reaction. The magic on your collar flared up, making the machine spur to life.

“MAGICAL SIGNATURE ACCEPTED”

Magical what? You didn’t have time to ponder this, however, as you were suddenly being swept through the opening.

———————-

There was a flash of blinding light, and you were through. The force had knocked you onto your hands and knees. Looking up, you were… still in the basement? Weird. But lucky. You could have probably been in so much trouble. You decided to go back upstairs. What seemed really strange to you though, was that the machine accepted Papyrus’s magic when he didn’t know about (or at least have access to) it. Whatever. Just go upstairs, pretend nothing happened, and then never try doing that again.

“PAPY, DID YOU HEAR THAT?”

Oh, no! That was Sans. Or, sounded like him? They had a much higher, louder voice.

“yeah, i’ll go check it out, bro.”

Suddenly, you heard a pop and you were surrounded by a cage of bones. Crap! You were going to be in so much trouble! They wouldn’t want you anymore! They would throw you out of the house and-!
“hey, kid. you okay?” There was a skeletal hand reaching towards your shoulder. The bone cage had apparently dissipated. Papyrus wore an orange hoodie and cargo shorts; a far cry from his usual attire. Wait, he wasn’t mad?

“I’m sorry, sir! I understand if you-“

“sir?” Papyrus looked confused. He approached you, this time clearly looking at your neck. He took hold of the tag(when was that added?) and read aloud. “Doomfanger — If found, return to the Great and Terrible Papyrus.” He froze. Then smiled. When he showed his teeth, you noticed they looked normal. Not razor sharp. Was this Papyrus?

“you’re a human, right?”

“Yeah…?”

“huh. i thought ‘rus had a cat.” He then directed his voice up the stairs. “hey, sans! does tale papyrus have a pet human?”

“NO, WHY?”

“ya may wanna see this, then.”

A much chipper, smaller skeleton made their way down the stairs. They looked like Sans but with flat teeth, and were dressed in a more similar fashion to that of Papyrus.

“AS FAR AS I KNOW, HE ONLY HAS HIS CAT, DOOMFA— AAAAAHHHH! THEY’RE SO CUTE! LOOK AT THEM!”

One moment you were being charged at full speed by a child(?) and the next, being pulled into a very tight, friendly hug. He was surprisingly strong for his size.

“HUMAN!ALLOW ME TO INTRODUCE MYSELF! I, AM THE MAGNIFICENT SANS! AND THIS IS MY BROTHER, PAPYRUS.”

Was this some cruel joke to confuse you before you were sent away for good?

“YOU SEEM TO HAVE ACCIDENTALLY COME TO THE SWAPVERSE! NOW LET’S CHECK WHO YOU BELONG TO, SO YOU CAN GET BACK HOME, SAFE AND SOUND!” He read your collar. “HEY! YOU’RE NAME IS DOOMFANGER TOO! YOU MUST BE SWAPPED WITH A SURFACE CAT! THAT’S SO CUTE!” He pet your head beckoned you upstairs. “COME ON! IT’S LUNCH TIME, AND I’M SURE YOUR PAPYRUS WOULD WANT YOU TO EAT, SO I’LL MAKE YOU TACOS BEFORE YOU HAVE TO GO HOME!”

“heh. looks like we both got some explaining to do, kid.”

Chapter 2: Fanart by syrus_ssic and House Layout

Summary:

Special thanks to syrus_ssic for making this awesome fan art!

Check them out here! https://archiveofourown.org/users/syrus_ssic/pseuds/syrus_ssic

Chapter Text

This is the link to the fan art!

Make sure to follow and support the artist!

Thanks, syrus_ssic! https://doctor-inflation.tumblr.com/post/652835653832343552/made-some-fanart-based-off-that-one-chapter-in

And here is a diagram I made of the house layout for reference as it is slightly different than cannon.

https://www.deviantart.com/melonyp/art/Alphys-is-cool-Fan-Fiction-Reference-Guide-881997315

Chapter 3: Request by sooshee

Notes:

Thanks to sooshee for requesting this!

WARNING: Minor mentions of child abuse and alcoholism. Stay safe!

The next chapter for the main story is coming out soon.

Chapter Text

Sans had managed to trudge home from a long morning of procrastinating. Papyrus hadn’t allowed him to teleport saying he “needed more exercise”. Whatever that meant. But knowing the kid might tell on him (little snitch), he played it safe and even made sure to leave footsteps in the snow. Besides, it gave him an excuse to go on (official) break earlier.

He was about to go in when he noticed movement through the window. Carefully standing on the rickety porch so as not to disrupt the barbed wire, he peered through the boards and saw the little human playing with the dog toys Papyrus had given them. It definitely didn’t warm his heart.

He hadn’t really noticed before, but they actually reminded him a lot of Papyrus when he was small. Sweet, soft-spoken, eager-to-please, and able to turn anything into a game. And with the jacket and old rabbit, the resemblance was uncanny. Nostalgic… painful, and yet, he could look away. The whole scene made him reminiscent about when Papyrus was young, kind, wouldn’t hurt a fly. Before their dad had beaten it out of him. Just like with Sans.“Mercy is for the weak,” he had said.

Before Gaster had taken a “liking” to Sans and started testing on him due to his “advanced intelligence and scientific knowledge”, leaving little Papyrus to fend for himself and learn how to entertain himself for hours.

And then it all stopped. The testing, the beatings. He had fallen into the Core with no-one but 12-year-old Sans and 6-year-old Papyrus to remember and for some reason mourn his loss.

He had known Gaster for longer and had hated him for dying. DESPISED him. It was debatably the cruelest thing he had done in regards to its effects.

Unlike Sans, Papyrus only had vague memories of him; each one traumatic and leaving Papyrus to cling to his brother for support. The brother who pushed him away out of grief. The same stupid brother that wasn’t there for him. Who had turned to alcohol rather than deal with his problems. Who left his baby brother alone.

Sans felt something warm dripping down his face. How long had he been standing out here crying?! He wiped his face off with his sleeve and looked at the same scrawny teenager in the way-too-big spiked leather jacket before him. Playing with a rabbit when they thought no-one was watching. Sans gave a full-body sigh, suddenly appearing much older than 28. When did he become such a sap? No, not the time.

He didn’t know what had brought this human down here, but he knew he couldn’t fail it too. Not when they were so similar to Paps in personality and circumstance. The same human who had made Papyrus smile for the first time since Frisk killed everyone they loved. They brought the Paps he knew that still in there back. And forced Sans and Papyrus to conspire for the sake of its care. He felt something…

It was time to start caring again.

It was time to be better.

Notes:

Was this okay? Let me know! If you have any ideas or request, tell me down in the comments!

I hope you enjoyed this different take. I will still be continuing the main story alongside this.

Series this work belongs to: