Actions

Work Header

Open My Eyes and Show Me Reformation

Summary:

Confidence and charisma doesn't equate to authentic relationships. Rouge wasn't concerned, she thought she was above the very concept.

Notes:

This one is dedicated to my sibs, analogical-spacegays and raighteous, hope you losers like it. (Not to be sappy on main but I'm v lucky to have siblings who I can be so close to). ALSO, I'm using he/they pronouns for Shadow bc I headcanon him as nonbinary and so dose my brother. I want to use them pronouns more often for Shadow but I am a cis girl so PLEASE I BEG, lmk if I'm using them wrong or changing in between he and they too frequently and infrequently bc I don't want any sort of transphobia going on in or around this here ao3 account, even if it is unintentional.

Work Text:

Open My Eyes and Show Me Reformation

Though she smiled so freely and let all that meet her know of her poise and larger-than-life spirit, the impression she was often criminally misleading. Her confidence was no farce, she genuinely did believe in all her innate beauty and competence. But it was in the notion she put forth that she was able to be so charismatic and possess so many hearts that was the fallacy.

It wasn’t something she continuously said out loud, firmly believing in the notion that her actions could speak for themselves, but it was well understood that she was an affable social butterfly, someone akin to Sonic in similar tantalizing promises of deep understanding. She exudes an image of high class backed by the friends you may perceive her to have at her side. But the bitter reality was, she didn’t have any friends at all.

Her image stemmed from her job, which she only held due to the forced compromise she made, keeping out of incarceration. She is an illustrious spy, sly enough to steal your wallet along with your heart. She had to build a trustworthy repertoire in order for her plans to work, which was a cakewalk for a woman such as herself given her background as a criminal.

It wasn’t hard for her to play a character. In fact, it was a little too easy. She could feign interest at the drop of a hat, convincing anyone in all her femme fatale divinity that you had her in the palm of your hand. She was a skilled actor, her personality and countenance so fluid and malleable she adapted so perfectly to any social situation she so chooses.

So when she was to manipulate the famous Ivo Robotnik, or Eggman as she lovingly put it, to gain intel on this elusive project she didn’t bat an eye. It was as easy as she expected, gaining his trust and camaraderie. And when she first laid eyes on the black and red creature, she didn’t anticipate depth beyond a sadistic need to complete his mission.

Shadow was just another villain. Nothing laid behind those eyes besides the primordial need to inflict pain on others as his purpose did entail. It would be easy, get the information needed out of him and GUN would take care of the rest. But, even in the short time that she knew him in this state, she could see that something lied deep underneath.

He reminded her of herself. She recognized the feeble attempts of hiding oneself through a thin veneer portraying something contradictory to their true self. But the problem with Shadow was, they didn’t make a good liar. He quite obviously didn’t have the experience Rouge had when it came to long-form deceit as told by the incident in the vault where he saved her. Shadow’s little farce fell apart at the seams the moment they saved her life, his untimely, pyrrhic death further cementing the fact.

She didn’t derive the schadenfreude one may have at the fall of a villain because Shadow was so obviously not one. Though their glower and grit may tell one otherwise, Rouge identified the hurt residing deep within his soul through his wilful voice and listless gestures.

The months without them were more than enough to feel the bitter sting of grief. Rouge presumed, given the arguments they had in the short time of knowing each other, that Shadow only knew her as a vapid criminal only looking out for herself. Oh, how she merely had a glimpse into what could’ve been, somebody affected by the image she played up and chose to help regardless strictly out of the goodness in his own heart.

Then came Omega, violently, unceremoniously, establishing himself as the newest member of his life. Rouge, once again, as she told herself to do, acted upon selfish desires that demanded she utilize his potential as the weapon he claimed to be. But, once again, her once impervious duplicity crumbled under the robot’s candid appeal with every utterance of the word ‘maim.’

She only wished for the best for them. She saw to it with the same unshakable persistence and passion she put into her work that they could find the freedom and happiness they deserved.

For Shadow, she recognized loneliness. She saw the longing, wistful stares he’d give her as he denied the idea of their friendship. But, after a bit of vivacious persuasion and after all the surreptitious occasions that just so happened to have them crossing paths, they relented and conceded to the bat’s company.

For Omega it was freedom. He confined himself to the role of Eggman’s prosecutor with a personal vendetta laden with thoughts of brutal revenge. It had to be exhausting, holding this level of malice. So Rouge made it her own personal mission to relieve him of this constant pressure and teach him other outlets. She soon found that vengeance was fun for him, but also was many other activities.

She wasn’t simply stratified at their companionship with her. She made a point to have them both acquainted with others outside of their limited circle. But, as delightful serendipity often works, Rouge fell victim to the friendships of the others too. She’d push Shadow to accept Sonic’s invitations to race and soon find them all chatting afterward. She’d encourage Omega to allow tails, the young prodigy, to inspect his interior, and after, she’d give him flying tips.

Surprisingly enough, she’d soon find all three of their names on invites to birthday parties, celebrations, get to gathers all the way down to simple texts just to hang out. Unbeknownst to them, Team Dark had become a bonafide staple of Sonic’s posse they often criticized.

These two individuals charmed the un-charmable, warmed through a thick encasing that denied the temptations of vulnerability, and snaked their way into her heart without even trying. She fell in love in a way she never thought possible, they were her family, her little siblings she nothing but adored. How a bat formerly only concerned with herself melted for these two often morose characters was a miracle in and of itself but she was more than thankful that it happened.

It was all in this lonely little diner at a booth next to a window dripping with condensation that coaxed the late-night thoughts out of her. The place was almost completely void of company that she told them this, painting the false illusion of privacy. After the conversation shifted from simple platitudes to more niche inside jokes she told them how they had reformed her.

And to her honest expression, she looked to them for a response. Omega, a robot perceived to have no emotion, no soul, flickered his lights and offered a claw in support. And Shadow had to turn their head as his eyes became glassy and sentimental. When it was time to leave and they all rose from the table, stood up only for Rouge to feel a sudden warm pressure at her side. Shadow had wrapped her in an awkward hug, soon finding Omega joining them in unique synergy.

By their joint reluctance, it was clear such open affection and vulnerability were new to all of them. But by the open understanding that they were to head back to their joint living room and watch a movie they were all willing to laugh at, it was apparent this wouldn’t be the last of many awkward yet no less endearing hugs.