Actions

Work Header

Lost Descendant

Summary:

Before her transformation, Lady Dimitrescu had a daughter, both of them were very close. It fell apart once Mother Miranda showed up. Afraid of her own mother, she fled to America, and had a child of her own.

Chapter 1: A Gifted Journal

Notes:

This chapter has been overhauled from its original version. 07-22-2021

Chapter Text

A girl who just turned eighteen gets ready for the day, or at least attempts to. In reality she spent the last ten minutes scrutinizing her rather expansive wardrobe without any success in deciding what to wear. Eventually she settled for a more casual outfit, consisting of a red shirt and skirt with a black belt in the middle, making sure each piece had a slight shine to them. While in the process of putting on said clothing, a soft rapping on the door gets her attention.

“Kala, are you ready yet?” Her mom, Alcina Dimitrescu, spoke from the other side.

“Almost finished mother, you can come in though.” Just as requested, her mom walks in, with one hand hidden behind her back. Kala looks her over and lets out an exaggerated sigh.

“Again with the fancy dress? I know its my birthday, but its not like we're going to have a party or anything.” The mother smiles at her little jab then plays along, matching her energy.

“You wound me Kala, its not like it is a special day or anything, oh no. I just felt like wearing this for no other reason then I wanted to, I can be very spontaneous when it comes to fashion.” 

“Awww, but I liked the idea of you dolling yourself up for me. The biggest of shames.” She puts her hand to her forehead in mock hurt, earning a chuckle from her mother. With the exchanging of words finished for the moment, Alcina takes the opportunity to give her gift

“Happy birthday my daughter.” Kala graciously takes her present, and looks it over, its a book decorated with her mothers insignia. Opening it reveals every page to be blank from cover to cover.

“It is a journal for you, and you only. It used to belong to me, but it never saw any pencil marks under my ownership. So I’m passing it on to you, to hopefully give the poor thing a true purpose.”

“I love it mom, but how come you never wrote in it yourself? Were you scared of someone finding it?”

“That is exactly the reason, I don’t need the trouble of blackmail on top of my usual business, you know me too well.” With the conversation coming to a close, Alcina kisses her little girl on the cheek, then proceeds to exit the room. “I’ll be waiting for you in the main hall.”

“Alright mother.” Wasting no more time, Kala puts on the finishing touches of her outfit, then makes the first entry the journal has ever seen.

 

February 16 1958-   Kala Dimitrescu

Mother has given me this journal for my 18th birthday. She said it was given to her when she was my age, but it went unused because she was too scared of it being found by someone who would blackmail her with it; it even has her flower and sword emblem on it. I don't know how often I will use this thing but hopefully it isn't a ploy by mother so she can learn of my little secrets, though I doubt she will stoop that low.

  -.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

“Kala!” Alcinas sudden call echoes down the halls, even startling the nearby maidens. Her daughter emerges from around the corner of the main hall.

“What is it mother? You sound distressed.”

“It has come to my attention that a new medical professional has arrived at the nearby village, and as such I’m going to pay them a visit right now.”

“A stranger? But we don’t really trust visitors by default, why is this one so different from all the rest?”

“Plenty of travelers come and go. Not every one of them has ill intentions, besides I still need to find a cure for my condition.” Kala looked away for a moment, she hated being reminded that her time was limited.

“Are you still sure you want to go to them? They could be a fraud for all we know.”

“Of course I’m sure, I’ll be damned if I let some sickness take me away from you!” Alcina can feel herself getting emotional, and tries to reign in her heartache. “I want to see my baby spread her wings, even if I’m confined to my deathbed when she does.” Kala hugs her tightly, nuzzling the crook of her neck.

“I’m sorry, I’m just concerned with what foreigners can bring. Please be safe out there.”

“You know I always am.”

 

February 28 1958-

An outsider has come to the nearby village claiming to be a doctor. She caught the attention of mother, who is now planning to visit her as I write. I hope she finds the cure she is looking for, otherwise she may not live to see the next few years.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Kala noticed over the past few days that the atmosphere of the castle was changing, and for the worse. It wasn’t even a gradual realization that something was wrong, it felt like the flip of a switch, and it all started with the maids whispering among themselves. She tried to get information off of every one of them, but they kept insisting that nothing was wrong, which couldn’t be more incorrect.

It wasn’t until she noticed them tense up whenever her mother was present, which irked her greatly. Doing a bit more snooping afterwards, she managed to sneak up on a pair of maids doing a bit of tidying up with each other in the cellar, completely unaware of Kalas presence who was also aided by the dim lighting. With the silence that normally accompanied the dark basement, listening in on what is being said was far easier then in other locations within the castle. The younger of the pair decided to break the silence.

“I’ve heard that the lady has been getting desperate, so much so that she is relying on the newcomer.” It was already not off to a good start.

“Is this about the stranger that has set up shop recently? You don’t really believe the gossip that has been spreading, do you?” The responding maid raised her brow in annoyance.

“Well...yeah, I just think she does her job...a bit too well. It seems to teeter onto the black magic kind of treatments, a literal witch doctor.”

“Really now? Do amuse me on how this person performed such feats to gain this reputation.”

“Well that's the thing, she only offers her services if her patients are sworn to secrecy, and as such, her methods are completely hidden from the rest of the community.” Kala has heard enough, she quietly snuck back into the main part of the castle, then went to her room.

 

March 6 1958-

A few of the maids have started getting uneasy around my mothers presence. I eavesdropped on some of them and apparently a rumor has started that she is seeing a witch doctor to get her sickness cured. I don't know who started these rumors but they must be relieved of their services should this degrading talk spread outside of our home.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

It was early in the morning, and everyone in the castle was waking up to start the day, or turning in to be ready for the night shift later, as such the dining rooms around the castle were filled with staff eating dinner or breakfast. The Dimitrescus was no exception. Kala is waiting quietly for the maidens to serve her meal, still in her nightgown with a rather extreme case of bedhead. Alcina, on the other hand, already has her daily apparel on, complete with makeup and the usual curled hairstyle. It is evident how restless the matriarch of the castle has been getting, even now she is rapping her fingernails on the table and tapping her foot on the floor in impatience.

“Honestly Kala, how many times have I already told you to be properly dressed by the time you come out of your room?”

“Too many to count, but don’t worry, your message has gotten through.” That was obviously a lie. Her mother sighed in annoyance.

“You have to start someday, make sure that it happens soon.” Her voice is stern, reaching the end of her rope. Her daughter just nods nonchalantly, further frustrating Alcina bit by bit.

They both continued to wait for a few minutes before they were finally served. The maiden bringing in the food was freshly hired, and was being shown the ropes by the veteran maids, though of course they stood off to the side and allowed the new blood to perform some of the tasks herself. Have to get her accustomed to the new environment and all else that comes with the job. For the most part she did well, that was until she got to Lady Dimitrescu, she noticeably became more uneasy as she got closer to her. One by one she removed the appropriate items from the metal cart, placing them in the right spots in front of her, and with each placement her hands got more and more shaky. It peaked when it came to pouring the water into an average tall cup. In her clumsiness, she bumped the side of it with the pitcher she poured it from, which resulted in a small puddle forming on the table. Now to most it wouldn’t be that big of a deal, in fact, both Kala and Alcina fit in this category, but this instance showed that it was no longer the case with the matriarch. The slap echoed throughout the dining room and then some, everyone was frozen in position, even Kala instantly snapped out of her drowsiness.

‘What the hell was that!?’

No one said anything the entire meal time, afraid of drawing the ire of the fuming lady. Once Kala finished her breakfast, she quickly excuses herself to the kitchen, looking to talk to the hurt maid.

“Hey miss, are you okay?” The maid is still shaking in her boots.

“Is she always like this?” Her voice is weak and feeble.

“No, of course not. This is the first time I’ve ever seen her put her hands on someone.”

“Can you tell her I’m sorry?”

“You have nothing to be sorry for, but I will.” Kala turns to the one of the head maids that was just off to the side. “Don’t let her near my mother until her mood improves, just to be safe.”

“Yes, miss.” She bows her head.

 

March 19 1958-

Mother has been getting extremely aggressive with the maids, this worries me, she never was this angry towards them for any reason. A maid spilled a bit of water on the table, and mother slapped her for it, she never abused the help at all like this. Hell, she normally wouldn't even make it that big of a problem, its only water after all. I think the medication she is taking may have something to do with it. I may have to ask her to stop seeing that quack doctor anymore.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Kala stands just outside of Alcinas bedroom door, hesitant to do what needed to be done. After swallowing the lump forming in her throat, she gives it a soft knock.

“What do you want?” Even being blocked from view didn’t make it any easier.

“It’s me, mother. I need to speak to you.” Silence proceeds to follow, neither making any sound for but a moment.

“You can come in.” She cautiously opened the large door, which felt heavier then it would normally be. Alcina is sitting in front of the fireplace on her chair, her eyes closed as if to be in meditation. “What do you need, Kala?”

“I just wanted to see how you were doing, especially with the mood swings that are becoming more frequent as you continue to see the outsider.” She finishes that statement with an awkward smile.

“Ugh, this again. I’m getting tired of having the same conversation with you. Let me handle my business, and everything will be fine once it's all said and done.”

“But it’s so apparent that something about you has changed-”

“I’ve haven’t changed anything Kala!” Alcinas daughter is stunned into silence.

‘What is happening to you?’

“You know what, I just had a thought. If you are so paranoid that my visits are doing more harm then good, why don’t you come with me for the next one?” In an instant, Kala needed to end this conversation, subtlety be damned.

‘I’m not paranoid! I’m just trying to look out for you!’

“I’m sorry but no. I’ll just wait for you here when you come back” She hastily left the room, not seeing her mothers narrowed eyes.

 

April 12 1958-

Its getting worse, not just for the maids, but me as well. Mother has tried to convince me to visit the self-proclaimed ‘doctor’ with her, but I refused. I try to tell her that something about her treatment is turning her into a different person, but she insists that nothing about herself has changed. This scares me, has she always been like this inside?  Is this "doctor" who they claim to be? Something is very wrong about this whole thing and I hope it doesn't escalate any further.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Morning has come, and Kala sat alone at the dining room table, not even a maid is present within the room. To her it felt unnatural, her mother should've been here already, and yet, here she wasn’t. The entire situation gave off a suffocating sense of false peace, like everything could go wrong faster then an instant. Thankfully, the silence was broken upon a maid entering the room rather then the matriarch, it was the same one that was slapped a little over a month ago.

“Miss Dimitrescu?” Kala couldn’t stop the sigh from escaping, she wasn’t ready for whatever was she about to say.

“Is something the matter?” Her tone was weak from how mentally tired she still was.

“No, not anymore. I just came to inform you that I’m resigning from my position as a maiden.” Kala wished she could be surprised, but she couldn’t even fake it. All that she wondered is how many others would follow in her footsteps.

“May I ask why? You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to.” She had a feeling she already knew what the reason was.

“I no longer feel secure staying here as a handmaiden.” Kala thought she would be ready when the first maid would quit because of how unstable her mother has become, but she found herself ill prepared for such an event.

“I suppose that is to be expected with how things are going with my mother. I’m sorry you didn’t have a good experience here, unlike the older maidens. Inform the head maid, she will sort out the situation, and give you your final cheque.” She went to do just that, not seeing Kala cover her face as her eyes began to water.

 

April 30 1958-

One of our maids resigned, but she didn't go to mother to report, she came to me instead. She said she no longer felt safe to work in our castle anymore and frankly, I don't blame her.

-.-.-.-.-.-.- 

“Mother please, I implore you, stay away from the foreigner! Ever since they arrived, your ability to think and react rationally has been impaired!” They were having yet another confrontation within the main hall. The maids have long since steered clear of them both whenever an argument inevitably happened.

“You seem to have forgotten the stakes, daughter. I have worked and traveled for far too long trying to ensure my longevity, and now is the only chance I could break free from my contract with death.”

“I understand that you want to live, but is it really worth sacrificing your integrity?”

“I...I don’t know.” There was uncertainty in her tone, before she quickly regained her composure. “Although I’m sorry you feel this way, I have already committed to this procedure, and I will see it through!”

“Even if it means driving me away?” Alcinas breath hitched within her chest, she was stumped, and she couldn’t come up with a rebuttal good enough for both herself and her daughter. So she stayed silent, having an unwilling staring contest with her. Her silence being all Kala needed to get her answer.

“It’s fine...I won’t hold it against you. I want you to be around too...just...not the way it seems to be heading. I’ll still be here, if you need me.” She only gave a half-truth, if her mother was truly going down the path of no return, then she wasn’t going with her.

 

May 23 1958-

I begged my mother to stop seeing that doctor for almost a month now, but she refuses to listen to me. She says that she is her "only chance" at getting her sickness cured. I don't think she even gave my words a second thought in all that time. I think I'm going to have to start packing my bags if this situation gets any more unstable.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

All is quiet, and for all the wrong reasons. Kala looked down upon the main hall from up the balcony, making sure to stay out of view from its only occupant, Alcina Dimitrescu, who had a tea cup on hand with a red liquid inside of it. Only something is very off about her, and it was physically visible for all to see, for her skin had become as pale as death itself. The matriarchs daughter slowly descended down the stairs and came behind her just off to the side, mentally preparing herself for what was to come. All she hoped for is that it would be a quick back and forth.

“Are you okay mother? You look like you have half a foot on the other side of deaths door.” Alcina sipped from her cup without making acknowledgement that she heard her, then she spoke without turning to face her.

“I’m feeling much better then ‘okay’, I would go as far to say that this is the best I’ve ever felt in my life.” Alcina possessed a devilish smile upon her red lips. Kala swallowed the lump in her throat, bizarre wouldn’t even begin to describe the situation. “Not to worry though, my daughter, the visits should be ending soon, and when they do, I look forward to what comes in the near future.” She looked at her daughter, who noticed another change to her physical appearance. Her eyes turned golden, and they looked hungry.

“This...isn’t natural, mother! Have you looked in the mirror this morning!? How can you let this have continued for this long without even questioning the methods of the stranger!? Look at what she did to you!” Her words fell on deaf ears.

“I’m well aware of my looks, and I don’t mind as long as I’m free from the shackles my aliment has always had me under!”

‘This has gone too far, so much so that you’re forgetting who you used to be.’

Kala didn’t even look back as she retreated back to her room, with her mind having come to a conclusion.

 

June 2 1958-

Mothers skin has turned ghostly pale with her eyes becoming a harsh golden color, she claims that she has never been better, with a predatory look on her features. I hate to think that my own home is no longer safe but it seems to have come to that. I must be ready to leave at a moments notice. This, I'm sure of.