Actions

Work Header

Honestly, I hate you

Summary:

“I think I did something.”
“What about?”
“Your…” Rapunzel coughs awkwardly. “Uhm, y-your sister.”
When Elsa comes back to Arendelle after another year of doing whatever she does with her life that most definitely doesn’t involve Anna anymore, the younger sister just might not be as interested either. Or at least that was the plan, before every single one of her friends get involved with the renowned scientist in one way or another.

Notes:

New fic! I honestly hope I can entertain you for a little while, as much fun as I have writing this, so please let me know your thoughts and I will love reading them all! Though this is pretty angsty, I also think it’s a lot sexier because of said angst.

By the way, if you know She-ra, you might notice Catra and Adora as eater eggs scattered around the plot.

Chapter Text

Five, six, seven, eight-

One, two, three, four. Five, six, seven, eight. One, two-

“Stop, stop.” Ms. Grayskull sighs loudly and even pinches her eyebrows together in that ever-annoyed headache of hers. The gesture briefly reminded Anna of a certain someone, who also does that all the time, but it didn’t use to annoy her as much. Not that they see much of each other these days anyway, and she normally goes about her day without a single thought in that (her) direction. Wherever that is.

Except the demon- okay, that’s actually too much, but it comes from an inside joke with her friends- is coming over for her annuary check-in, that she always masks with some business she ‘coincidentally’ also has in the premise. How generous of her, really. Anna couldn’t ask for a better older sister, who only spares the time to see her once a year and doesn’t even bother to think for one second that maybe- just maybe- Anna doesn’t want her to come at all.

Like, if you don’t wanna be part of my life, then fine. I made my peace with it, so could you just stop pretending and go live your own?! Mom and dad should know you already did what was ‘expected’ of you by now. Be gone, thot. Seriously.

Anna would never say that to her face, though. Even if she has imagined the argument over and over and every time her sister comes to visit.

“You clowns are just all over the place again.” The sarcastic tone of their choreographer pulls her out from her little inner-monologue, considering she usually goes on for hours straight. She also doesn’t usually get that immersed, to the point of blocking outside voices and the real argument she apparently missed.

One of the dancers had asked what exactly was wrong with the pacing, but someone else answered for Ms. Grayskull and then another girl commented on how the boys on the back aren’t following the front. Everyone took mental notes of what needs to be changed, since they are professionals and not high-school cheerleaders fighting to be right. They fight for the main roles with some discretion.

“Hey, guys? Amelia just got here, so she needs to warm-up and we can go over everything with her”, the light-effects guy warns them over the speaker. It reverberated through the whole stadium, so yeah, they heard.

Ms. Grayskull jumps from the pretty high stage unalarmed, waving them off to take a break wherever. “Make sure to drink some water and not practice. Do you even know what ‘taking a break’ means, redhead?”

“Sit down and drink water.” Anna just knows she is talking to her, since her last incident of almost passing out in the middle of rehearsal, so she nods smiling. “Got it.”

Though some people might argue it’s a pretty good trait to give it her all, she isn’t given enough time to consider finding an empty dress room- Rapunzel is already tossing her a water bottle to catch midair. “I know that look. Don’t.”

“Eh… Don’t, what?” Anna promptly opens the lid and takes big gulps to avoid stuttering her embarrassment of being one of the dancers slacking behind. Well, not like she is slacking per say. Her mind is just elsewhere.   

Rapunzel rolls those sweet green eyes of hers in return. “I’m not even gonna call you out this time. But what got you so distracted?”

The redhead purses her lips together, feeling the too-quick satisfaction from the cold water running down her dry throat already washing away. She proceeds to tighten her ponytail higher, if only to assert herself some type of ground.

“Elsa.”

And just like that, Rapunzel bites her lip understandingly. The girl should know how family matters can be quite complicated, why with her own fair share of connections she still hasn’t fixed, or doesn’t want to, and how it shouldn’t be so utterly romanticized, or pushed around. Plus, they are best-friends and she knows the whole drama. “When?”

“You think she tells me?” Anna giggles sarcastic and completely out of character. “She texted me yesterday with a new number, after I blocked the last one- which, like, can’t she get a hint? Real nice of her to do what~ever she wants and not even respect when I say no over and over. But anyways, doesn’t matter. She said, and I quote, ‘I got a meeting with my sponsors at the university, so I’m coming over’.” The redhead closes her eyes to the skies, sighing her life away for a bit. “Seriously, Raps, what am I supposed to make of that? Is she warning me to stay out of her way? Or that she might show up unannounced any time now?”

“Anna-”

“No, I get it. I know she will show up. We just fight every time, so I keep wondering if she will actually stop one day. But then I think she wouldn’t bother texting me.”

“…”

Anna finally opens her eyes to Rapunzel still biting her lip in presumable frustration. But what is she frustrated about? Not like the girl is actually living her life together, as much as they make sure to tell each other everything and laugh the sorrows away.

“I think I did something.”

“What about?”

“Your…” Rapunzel coughs awkwardly. “Uhm, y-your sister.” She brings a hand to cover her blushing face, although not the good kind. She’s embarrassingly embarrassed- if that even makes sense. Scared, even. A deer in the spotlight. Like when you fall down the stars, but isn’t with your friends to laugh it off, so you try to just quickly pick up your stuff and run from the concerned/amused gazes. Raps very much looks like she wants to hide away right now.

Anna’s first instinct is to take the few steeps closer and grab her free hand, giving one little reassuring squeeze. “It’s okay, dummy. I promise not to be mad.” Though she frowns at her state, since the cause of it. “What about Elsa?”

Rapunzel looks away for a second, then takes one deep breath to meet her concerned gaze again. “Okay… You know how I went out yesterday?”

“To see the new club that opened downtown, yeah, I remember.”

“Well- I met someone.” The nervous blondie squeezes her hand back harder. “But only after I already had a few drinks! More than a few, if I’m being honest… Merida was driving anyway-”

“Raps, I love you. You know I do.” Anna has to hold in a giggle, even if she is still worried for her friend. “But can you get to it? I need to know who to kill.”

“That’s kind of the problem here…?” Because it’s me who you might want to kill… is splattered all over her face. “She-uhm, was really pretty. Like, Victoria Secret’s model level-” Sudden panic washes over Rapunzel’s face then, batting away all of her embarrassment from before and much so that she doesn’t know what to do with it, or doesn’t realize it.

“Or not! Oh, my God, no! She was awful! Who even bleaches their hair white anymore?! That’s so 2019, right?” She forces an awkward laugh out.

“Right...” Anna just blinks in confusion. “She?”

“RIGHT!”, Rapunzel practically yells and gets the attention from their nearby colleagues. Though they go back to their own chit-chats, or stretching alone.

The nervous bubble of a girl has to grab Anna’s hand again, since the latter jumped from her ‘excitement’. “I- yes. Did I mention the… alcohol… uhm, involved?”

“You did. Listen, I’m happy you decided to test the waters and it wasn’t a mistake-”

“It was.”

“-I know how much you’ve been troubled- Wait, what?” The redhead is genuinely not following anything right now. “And what does this have to do with Elsa?”

Rapunzel sighs. “I don’t know how to make this clearer for you…”

“…”

“…”

“You mean…?”

“Yes.”

“…”

“…”

“YOU SLEPT WITH MY SISTER?!”

“NO!”

Anna makes frantic gestures with her hands that make no sense even to her, but somehow Rapunzel gets it.

“I mean, no, Anna. I didn’t have sex with your sister. I just… maybe…” She looks down at her very interesting sneakers, apparently. The white ones that they are all wearing alike for the show. “Bought her a drink… and such…”

“And such?”

“Okay, look.” Rapunzel takes another deep breath, this time even closing her eyes for a second too long. Anna waits patiently all the while, not knowing what to make of this yet.

Still, she has thought about this exact same scenario before. That one of her friends could be easily bewitched by Elsa’s charms, although not guessing it would be Rapunzel of all people. The girl is more loyal than a dog, and that’s not talking about the fact that she has never been with a woman before. Is this even about betrayal, anyway? Anna doesn’t feel angry like she thought she would. Or sad. Yet.

“I didn’t know it was her at the time. And I might be wrong about this, since you never showed us a picture, but she was tall and had really pale skin. Plus the white hair that you once told us about, that’s kinda hard to miss. I didn’t stop to think that there is no other Elsa we know…”

“It’s not bleached.”

“… What?”

“Her hair.” Anna sighs. “Elsa has albinism. It’s not bleached.” For a split second there, she thinks about asking for a moment alone to process the situation- even taking a step away- but decides against it just as quickly, looking back up at her apprehensive friend.

Right. Raps is my friend. She’s my best-friend. Whatever makes her happy.

“Do you like her? Elsa?”

Rapunzel bites her lip, seemingly not wanting to plainly lie.

I mean, who wouldn’t like Elsa? She’s perfect in every aspect: from personality, to looks. She has the money. She’s smart. Anyone who turns her down would be because they just don’t want a relationship- Rapunzel very much does.

“I did” is the predicted answer Anna gets. It still burns down her throat, as if she just swallowed two shots of vodka in one turn. “But, Anna, that was before I knew who she was. No matter how cool a person is, I’m not one to ignore all the bullshit they have done to someone else.”

The redhead widens her eyes briefly, both at how sweet-innocent Rapunzel cursed for her and how she is still taking her side, after meeting the infamous calm and collected Elsa. Anna had sworn her friends would never take her side, if they actually ever met the demon.

“Okay… So, you don’t like her?”

“Nope.”

“Are you sure? Because it would totally be cool, if you did. Like, I just might not come to the weeding, but we could work that out later-”

“Anna, I’m sure.” Rapunzel smiles to the slight relief passing Anna’s mind, although she is still quite restless. “And just for the record, we didn’t even kiss.”

The redhead actually giggles to that. “Yeah, she never takes initiative unless you ask her to.”

Somewhere in the huge stadium- or right beside them- someone chokes on their water and tries covering it up with small giggles to two other people’s conversation, whom just frown at him oddly. “Ha, haha. That was really funny. You’re a funny guy, Flynn!”

“Kristoff, what are you doing?” Anna straight-up rolls her eyes at him. Though playfully and not so straight.

The blonde guy turns his built body towards them, gripping his water bottle fearfully. Their choreography does require him to be shirtless after all, so it isn’t doing anything to hide his insecurity. “I- me? You called? Honey?”

“Oh, my God. Was I like that just now?” Rapunzel chuckles, while her hand tries to hide the pink blush on her cheeks.

Anna simply shrugs, before crossing her arms over her chest and taking the power-pose she likes to practice on the mirror. You never know when you might need one and it’s kinda funny to see them stay put for her final judgement. “I’m feeling some curious vibes here, Kristoff. I suggest you come clean.”

“…”

The redhead lifts a ginger eyebrow at him. She learned that from a certain someone, but will never admit, or acknowledge, any possible references. There is only one possible, really.

“Okay, so like-” Kristoff finally breaks. “You ladies were talking about someone’s sister-”

“Mine.”

“Right. So, Elsa.” He flexes his arms back and forth, occasionally switching the hand holding one of the plastic bottles given to everyone. “You said a lot of stuff you never told me before. Which I’m cool with! Like, all on your own terms and I’m always here for you.”

“But?”

“But…” He stops to point the bottle’s cap at her. “I wanna hear about the albinism situation later, but that was true? That you guys are exes-”

“KRISTOFF!”, Rapunzel suddenly shouts. She practically ran to shove his blabbering mouth elsewhere. Except, well, the girl is tiny and only gets held aside.

“What?!”, Kristoff asks baffled from such a short person having so much strength, regardless of losing to him. “She just said that Elsa ‘never takes initiative unless something’! How could she know that, if they weren’t lovers!”

“… Who was it?”

The wrestling pair switches their attention to the actual subject of the matter, who is only blinking rapidly and telling herself that they cannot see her cheeks heating. God, she feels like her parents just caught her sneaking out the house to meet a boy. Or girl, in this specific scenario.

There were the days when her friends pushed her around to also get a boyfriend, then there were the days after her mother got re-married. The latter was about the girls.

“Oh! Oh! Are we talking about Anna’s incestuous affair that Merida told us not to tell anyone, or not tell that it was her who told us?”

Anna slowly- so very slowly- blinks one last time, to turn her full attention for the newest arrival. She smiles sweetly. “Thank you, Olaf.”

“Sure! Though I’m not sure how I helped!” The dark-haired dancer gives her an even bigger smile. He doesn’t move away, despite everyone’s awkward tension. “What’s the tea? You know I’m not moving.”

Anna sighs, before plopping down on the hard stage and maniacally laughing it off.

“… Did we break her?”, Rapunzel whispers.

“Uh, I’m not sure… Maybe she’s just laughing at us.” Kristoff gambles a few forced giggles.

“Yeah, no.” Anna catches his gaze again and promptly sits up with it. “I don’t like people talking behind my back, so I’m not about to do it myself. You wanted to know if me and Elsa are exes? Yes, we used to be lovers. She’s also my sister from mama’s second marriage, my legal guardian after our parents died and the little demon in my life now, but you knew that already.” She lowers her voice by the end, just as their choreographer is coming up the stairs to the stage again, but with the whole band this time.

With her ginger hair straightened in a higher ponytail, Anna jumps to her feet and presses her lips in a thin line of a smile. “I told you it’s complicated.”

______________

Occasional and coordinated click-clack of heels had reverberated through the halls of Libas University, until it stopped far beside one random door to a random laboratory from the chemistry’s department.

Hidden light blue eyes look through dark lenses, then through the window to a class learning how to assemble distillation systems. She has to force herself on schooling her expression, not to smile at enthusiastic younger people paying attention to a subject she is also passionate about.

“Good to be back?”, Honeymaren tries.

Elsa bites the inside of her cheek, before walking ahead again. “Maybe if I was actually wanted here.”

They make it all the way to one of the meeting rooms directed to study groups, but there were no signs of students around, only old man and woman in expensive suits with too much money to know what to do with. Not that she can judge that much, since also being one and all. “Good afternoon.”

The rest of her day couldn’t have gone slower. After reviewing her research and its progress to take any question they might have had- but mostly to satisfy Liria, who used to be a chemical engineer once upon a time- they went over more potential private buyers, instead of only selling to the Icelandic government. Elsa had yet again to convince them it’s a small country that can buy it all themselves, but, again, mostly to reassure her ground on not wanting to profit over their plague any further. It was all about how she phrased it and how they sugar-coated things back.

Honestly, she already made her career on it and even has international sponsors now. With the new research base in Iceland coming up, Elsa might as well have turned them down without room for discussion. But money is money.

They said their formal goodbyes, as she was at least the first to leave. It was quite the power move, if she could say so herself. The small smile on her lips definitely wasn’t from the equally small satisfaction that it brought her.

Now Elsa is promptly slushed on a beanbag in the library. There’re a few students actually studying about, so no one looks her way twice.

She pulls out her phone and, without really thinking, scrolls down her messages to the actual ones she cares about. Not that she can deny coming up with excuses to visit her sister, but this time is also not about Anna. Hell knows how much she doesn’t have a clue on what to do about their relationship. How to act. How to think.

Oh, Elsa knows how much Anna doesn’t want her visits at all. Except it’s not for her. It’s for Elsa. She is human after all, and having to break the love of her life’s heart wasn’t exactly a fun experience to her either. Really, she just wants to make sure her sister can live a full life for herself now, so a few live glances to keep Elsa’s own heart pumping shouldn’t be much to ask, right?

Yesterday

I got a meeting with my sponsors at the university, so I’m coming over. < 3:30pm

Today

8:41am > then just stay there

She chews on the inside of her cheek, huffing to let her phone down. “Right.”

“Elsa?” Honeymaren’s curious face suddenly appears from above. “Hey, I was looking for you. How did the meeting go?” She walks around to sit on the other blue beanbag.

“The usual. Are you done with your classes?” Elsa puts her phone back inside her purse, effectively disregarding her latest failed interaction. Though her friend follows the move.

“Yeah… What was that about?”

“What was what about?”

“You know what.”

“If I did, I wouldn’t be asking.”

The brunette lifts both her eyebrows and squints her eyes in amusement. “You’re seriously not gonna tell me?”

“I could… If you told me what you want to know.” She still feigns naiveness.

“For God’s sake- Your phone, Elsa! You were texting someone!”

“Isn’t that what you do with it?” The woman in question has to command every fiber of her being not to laugh now. 

“You’re just making fun of me.” Honeymaren huffs, annoyed.

Elsa actually giggles a little then, at the sight of her friend so overworked. “Sorry, sorry. I-” Though the fun environment dies on her throat next. “Anna, uhm, texted me back and… that was it.”

“Anna, as in your little sister? The dancer?” Honeymaren reaches around for her back pocket and takes out her phone, so she can scroll down lunch options in front of them.

Elsa rather focuses on the different kind of meals showing about, than actually answering anything.  She never told anyone what was happening back then, never told what happened after and will probably never tell what is happening now. People only knew about her father and stepmother passing away; you can’t really hide the deaths of such a known sweet couple. Not without committing one or two crimes, at least- nothing too out of her league, but it didn’t prove necessary.

“Hm… The one you were in love with?”

“Maren!”

As for the fact that Honeymaren had somehow figured out Elsa’s obsession over her sister wasn’t (isn’t) exactly innocent-like, neither platonic… Well, it just proved that she will die alone in a random laboratory doing random titrations.

You see, Honeymaren is her ex from almost two years ago, the one who broke them up and the closest thing she has to a best-friend these days. The brunette had figured out why Elsa just couldn’t fully love her back, so that was that.

“Do you? Still?”

Elsa looks away, very much still trapped by her mind, by her past, by her love. She usually enjoys reading how romantics describe how an enamored person blushes or giggles from thinking about their significant other. Her own lips press in a thin line of a smile, while her eyes glisten involuntarily to the plain silver ring around her little finger. “Yeah…” Though she blinks away just as quickly. “But you know I met someone yesterday?”

“Oh? I had a feeling Rapunzel would catch your attention.”

“… Who, now? She said her name was Merida.”

Chapter 2

Notes:

I forgot to say that Anna might seem bitter and unempathetic at times, compared to how she is in the movies, since their past is different here and she grew up with different people. Still, consequently so, she despises herself for that.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Well, if she didn’t wake up 110% to do her precious job like usual, she figured she wouldn’t be more excited to hang out with people. Except Anna is a people’s person, so her tough introvert act fell short just a few minutes into the loud music pumping in her ears.

“Where are my shots?!”

Everything was going as smoothly as losing Rapunzel once, having to cut through numerous groups of people to find her and being asked out a few times, then convincing Kristoff not to go home with the first girl he had laid eyes on. All until Anna found herself somehow alone in the jumping crowd to the electronic music. She remembers promising to get drinks, but doesn’t really- for lack of a better word- care right now.

Here she can scream to the top of her lungs and still not be heard, while everyone is doing the same around her and the music picks up the pace again and again. She throws her hands in the air, swinging her ponytail from side to side unconsciously, then even locks eyes with a stranger.

The woman seems around the same height as Anna, if only by her mane of lighter curly ginger hair, as they both scoot closer and closer. Lights continue to flash different colors across their features, briefly blinding Anna’s vision from time to time, but she forces her eyes to stay absorbed in the apprehensive expression of her friend, once she actually sees the girl.

Most of her friends have looked at her the exact same way just today for some reason. Oh, she knows why- Elsa.

This is exactly why she never so much as showed them a picture.

Anna decides to relax her arms around Merida’s neck by the occasion’s swift. “Wanna dance?” She even cheerfully smiles, much contrary to the frown she gets back.

“Anna… We need to talk.”

“No, we really don’t.”

“Don’t be a bitch.”

I’M being a bitch?!”, she exclaims louder and promptly scrambles off first. Merida will probably keep stuck on her trail, anyway.

“Juist let me explain!” Yep.

Her sigh goes only heard by her own ears, before she turns around with her eyes closed for another second. Anna damn hopes to Heaven and Hell that her friend can’t tell she is actually almost crying- really not up to discuss anything right now. Specially with alcohol in both of their systems.

“What” is the only dry response she manages.

“Can we- can we get outside? Like, talk or whatever.” Merida claps her hands together in return for Anna’s incredulous gaze. “Ye have to hear me out. Please.”

“Fine!” But not without rolling her eyes first.

They excuse themselves past the crowd- well, Anna does. Merida just pushes people aside until they get to the narrow stairs leading to the entrance. There was a couple buying tickets, who they have to squeeze by, but surely the night’s cool breeze hits them afterwards, as if mother nature wants to awake them from under the alcohol influence. It only works as much, not like they are waisted or anything.

Anna walks over to a nearby tree and leans back on its hard trunk, leaving her friend to be awkward by herself. She sniffs a little, but blames it on the change of temperature: from crumped heat, to fog leaving their lips when they breathe.

“So…”

“So.”

“Yeah.”

“Uh huh.”

“… A’m sorry.” Merida looks up to meet her gaze again, although still with that nervous attitude.

“What for?” Anna hugs herself to close her red jacket with it. She doesn’t really care for the cold right now, yet her body moves accordingly. Though it’s much colder where she is from.

“Fur telling Kristoff ‘n’ Olaf about…”

“Oh my God, you can’t even say it!” Her tears actually threaten to fall now, and it doesn’t go unnoticed by her friend.

Merida takes a step closer with glistening eyes of her own, but looks down again and fidgets her hands together. “Ah dinnae- ah didnae ken it. Ah thought Kristoff ‘n’ Olaf could explain it to me…”

Now that is a sight to make Anna freeze momentarily.

Merida is normally a fierce woman, who doesn’t take shit from anyone and never shows any kind of vulnerability in public- Hell, not even when they are alone. But then again, Anna also strongly believes in the strength it takes to share your vulnerable side.

“I didn’t understand it either, Mer.” She shrugs. “But why didn’t you come talk to me about it? Why didn’t you say anything when I told you?”

Merida looks her dead in the eye, actually mocking her from some angle. “How could ah, An? Ye had juist opened yerself’ fur me. How could ah turn ye down like that?”

“…Hm.” Anna is the one to look down this time, as she aims her foot to kick a random little rock to the middle of the street by its bounce. “What didn’t you understand?”

“All of it, kinda. Ye know ah come from a conservative family.”

Anna kicks the next rock harder, bouncing it all the way to the opposite sidewalk. “That’s no excuse. And you even said you came to Arendelle because you wanted to get away from that mind-set.”

“A’m not giving excuses.”

“Then what are you? What did you want to talk about, exactly?” She almost glares at her friend now- her tears long dry.

Merida sighs, while brushing her curly hair back. “Ah can’t say ah completely ken it yet, but ah dinnae have to. Ye mah friend and a’m always gonna be here fur ye. Ah really juist wanted to say a’m sorry for telling Kristoff ‘n’ Olaf-”

“OLAF!”

“DIBS ON FLYNN!”

“RAPS DON’T-”

“AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!”

“The Hell”, Anna whispers under her breath. They both turned to stare aimlessly down the stairs to the club and, just another second in, the rest of their friends come running up.

“Call a cab! Call a cab!”, Kristoff desperately asks them.

“There’s no time! See you on the other side, losers!” Rapunzel giggles off with Flynn on her trail.

“Come on!” Olaf grabs Anna’s hand and pulls her along.

“What happened-”

“COME BACK HERE YOU LITTLE SHIT!”

“Oh.” She promptly starts running too, after that husky threat from back in the club and some noise of glass breaking.

Merida stays put, though, even crossing her arms over her chest in a power pose. Kristoff has to stop on his tracks and go back to pick her up and put her on his shoulder, despite all the unabashed name-calling he receives in return.

“They have guns, Merida!”

“What makes ye think ah don’t have one too, eejit?!”

“YOU HAVE A GUN?!”, Anna is the one to shout this time.

“Ah didnnae say that either…” The redhead looks away.

______________

Anna jumps over the metallic gate last, after helping Olaf not rip his shirt when he got stuck, then looks around to everyone panting just as much as she. Though Rapunzel is practically dying on the grass, having the smaller legs and so she had to force her limbs to run twice as fast.

“Think we lost them?”, Kristoff questions Merida still watching the desert streets, as if squeezing her eyes would make the darkness any brighter. Really, only the light of the moon is shining over them, but maybe her inner ‘grew up in the mountains’ self can muster better vision.

“Yep-”

A single sound of gunshot in the distance interrupts her, followed by incoherent yelling.

“Or not.”

Flynn quickly pulls Rapunzel in his arms, and that is their cue to start running again. Though, this time, with an actual plan to go inside one of the buildings of the university they just broke in.

Anna gets ahead of the group, successfully yanking a window open (thank God). She bends her knees slightly for Olaf to step on and jump inside, so he can pull her arm up from above. Next is Kristoff, which takes both of them to pull the brute-ish guy inside. It’s not before Kristoff takes her place on helping Flynn and Rapunzel (Merida got in by herself), that Anna really looks around where they just trespassed.

Wait. Do you go to prison for trespassing?

Eh, just don’t get caught.

It’s a modernly decorated library, although the building is old, with colorful beanbags scattered around and wooden tables the same color as the bookshelves. There is even a huge L-shaped sofa in the corner, which just called Anna to take a quick nap. God, she is so tired. But she forces herself to wander about, looking for the entrance or maybe a bottle of water someone left behind.

Anna knows very well where the entrance is, since she has actually been to this department a lot before, but her body keeps walking mindlessly between the bookshelves, instead of turning to the right on that last corner. The little darker corners too, she knows every single one of them. Where only books could see her falling more and more into the forbidden love that they so loved to tell you about.

Oh, it was just as fun as the books make it be, if not more.

She can hear her friends whispering behind her, on what should be a deserted room except for themselves, yet, somehow, it doesn’t surprise her to stop on a certain long desk between longer halls. The woman that is sleeping soundly on her crossed arms there doesn’t snatch her breath away, either.

“Isn’t that…?” Rapunzel tries behind Anna, who just forgets to blink for a longer second.

“This way.” The redhead takes the right turn this time, as her friends promptly follow her without questioning anything-

“Oh, what a pretty lady.” Except for Olaf, of course. “Why are you looking at me like I should shut up? Jeez, just ask.”

“They, uhm…” Anna calls beside the entrance, before Rapunzel can actually murder him with her glare. “They don’t keep security as tight in this part of the building, so we can find an empty classroom to hide for a little while. Just- be quiet. Please?”

“Honey, I’ve done this multiple times.” Flynn squats to spy mode, moving stealthily to the door.

“What? Breaking into universities?” Kristoff mocks in a louder whisper.

“Hiding from people that want my head.”

“Whoa, this is just like Brazil last year!” Rapunzel goes to clap her hands excited, but Merida slaps them back down.

“Ah dinnae have mah knives with me this time, so keep it down.”

“What? You never leave without your knives.”

“A’m not with all of them-”

“Anna?”

The redhead snaps back from staring intensely at a specific red book almost falling off its bookshelf. The blood-colored leather looks darker without a light source, but it still caught her attention in a bitter sense.

“Everything okay?” Kristoff tries again.

Anna shrugs her head, then smiles up at him. “Let’s go- oof.” Olaf suddenly hugs her- more like he threw himself at the taller girl. Her heart squeezes and beats louder in her eardrums, almost breaking her complacent act, just in time for that old red book to fall completely off and with a loud bang on the ground.

Everyone freezes at the noise that reverberated through the whole library, waiting for a cop to burst in and arrest them.

They sigh in unition when nothing happens.

“Uh, yes, Olaf?” Anna pats his back gently, until he puts an arm distance between them again.

You, sweetheart, are repressing your feelings again. I thought we agreed to stop that!”

“Wha- What? But I’m not-”

“You are.”

Well, understandably, her friends turn to the voice first. The calm, sweet and elegant voice that haunts her life better than a real demon ever could.

Now Anna wishes a cop might as well have burst in before, it wouldn’t be as chaotic to her heart. Not that it’s pumping from anything new or at least exciting, nor the other way around. It’s just- erratic.

“Oh, the pretty lady is up!”, Olaf comments cheerful.

“So, is that…?”, Anna hears Merida and Rapunzel whispering even lower with each other, what she decides to ground herself in.

“Seriously, can you not?” The redhead glares at them, as they both fidget away.

“Should we…” Flynn coughs awkwardly. “I mean- I’m assuming-

“Yes.” Anna sighs, taking the time to close her eyes momentarily. Though she still hasn’t even taken a glance to the cause of her life distress. “Just give me a minute and I’ll be right behind you guys,” the words leave her lips without any prior- Did I just- Oh, God, I did.

______________

Okay, first off: Elsa had never fallen asleep in a library before, as much as her workaholic character can scream that pattern sometimes, and it’s really uncomfortable. She has worked herself to sleep in her office and at a random park that one-time, but that’s not the point.

Second off: she had just made her mind about not seeing Anna this year. Or at least for the month. To see said girl at a private campus she very much doesn’t have a pass to be at, it actually made Elsa mad in some lost sense. Though she might as well use the opportunity to have the higher ground for a change.

Once the last of Anna’s friends leave and close the door behind them, Elsa leans on a bookshelf and crosses her arms over her chest. She didn’t really get a glimpse on the others, only tried to have her sister look at her back. “If you want to leave, the door is right there.”

Anna also crosses her own arms, but more into a self-hug. Then, and only then, does she look up with a rather blank expression. “I’m sure you would like that too.”

“What makes you think that?”

The redhead shrugs. “Maybe because it’s been three years since you last spoke a whole coherent sentence to me.”

Elsa bites the inside of her cheek, forcing herself not to fight who’s really at fault right back at Anna. Still, she is feeling pent-up of this bullshit already. “Right, since last year you were screaming so much, I couldn’t exactly say anything.”

Anna finally shows some type of shocked emotion for that. “That was-” She takes a step into the moonlight, only to rest her hand on the bookshelf facing Elsa. The action made them face each other fully, so Elsa loses a little bit of that higher ground to Anna’s outfit. “That was a mistake and you are just hiding behind it again.”

She takes a moment to remember Anna’s light green eyes that are dark now, the rounder shape of her face and the dark red hair. Everything still takes her breath away, and it probably forever will. She leans down with her own eyes glued to her sister’s lips, before looking up to the hidden freckles on her cheeks. “But was it?”

“What was?”

“A mistake.”

Anna quite roughly pushes her away, but Elsa is actually glad to see the stern face. Whether because she thinks she deserves it, whether because it’s better than apathy… “Yeah, Elsa, it was a mistake. It might have been great for you to get laid, since you don’t have that many people to call, do you? But I was honestly stupid to think you would at least stick around for fucking breakfast. And you know what? I’m way better than you, so the whole shitshow was a mistake!”

“… Weren’t you the one who asked-”

“I KNOW! I WAS THERE!”

Elsa watches her sister frankly turn around to sit on a desk and sigh with her eyes closed again. She didn’t use to sigh that much before. Or at least when Elsa watched her interact with her friends from afar. Not even when the girl was tired from rehearsal. Honestly, why is she even questioning it? It’s obviously because Elsa is there. She is the problem. She was the problem then, she’s the problem now.

Because it’s not like they were happy as a couple either.

But I miss you.

Couldn’t it just be that simple?

“Do you ever…” Elsa bites her lower lip, before she can say too much or entirely not enough. It had never been enough, after all. Everything she did or could have said. “Fuck, could you stop doing stupid shit when you’re drunk? It’s getting old.”

“Not your business.”

“Then why did you stay?”

“I’m giving them time to get away from you.”

“…I forgot I’m a demon now. Maybe that’s why I can’t understand you.”

Anna finally looks at Elsa again, but with her eyes kind of dropped. As if she isn’t really seeing her there, not even acknowledging the mere existence that her sister is actually showing some type of emotion- putting some weight on her words.

Why.

Just- why?!

“You know Merida?”

Okay, that’s something else.

______________

“Anna, just go.” Elsa points at the door with her thumb, holding her own type of stern expression this time. It used to scare Anna when they first met, but now it’s just plain annoying. “I’m not talking to you when you’re acting like a child.”

And that most definitely doesn’t help.

The redhead also can’t help and laugh so uncharacteristically over the whole thing. It’s just- annoying. So fucking annoying. The way her hair is still long and perfectly straight with that white color that sometimes flashes a light blonde on certain strands. The way she doesn’t even try to hide how her gaze still falls on Anna’s lips from time to time. The way she holds her posture with her shoulders back and a hint of arrogance on her eyes that Anna knows would be light blue on better lighting, but now it’s pure dark. The way the moonlight blends with her almost-completely white skin, just like a demon would be summoned on Anna’s mind. The way she picks on her nails when she wants to punch something, or someone, but has to keep the act of that put-together adult when she is anything but.

It’s actually hilarious.

“Oh, I know you still want me.” Anna breathes final little giggles. “I just wanted to know if the girl you’re fucking to replace me is my friend or not, but I guess it doesn’t really matter.” She catches that slight waver on her sister’s eyes, before the famous scientist decides to get closer again.

Elsa puts the palm of her hands on either side of Anna, still managing to tower over the redhead. Ever with that arrogant attitude, of course.

She looks down, then up with that dangerous distance between them. “Doesn’t it?”

“Not your business.” Anna nods, smiling. She steals a glance at one of Elsa’s hands tightening in a fist, effectively encouraging her to push a whole lot more. Honestly, Anna has, for a while now, been constantly pulled back to her teenage years and the influence of her friends back then- not very respectful people. You could say she used to get around the wrong crowd, compared to her more sincere and empathetic personality. It’s an easier switch to turn to, especially with someone like Elsa, who already fundamentally never shares her real self. “But you wanna know a little secret?”

Elsa’s jaw flexes visibly so. “Don’t-”

“She wouldn’t love you either.”

Because they weren’t in love.

They weren’t.

For the love of God, they weren’t.

Because if they were… If Anna had actually loved Elsa from the little bits of her heart, to the little bits that made her smile- They weren’t. Elsa didn’t break Anna’s heart as much as Anna is seeing the deeper cut claw itself over Elsa’s expression now.

The redhead tries reaching her hand confidently to caress below her sister’s hurt blue eyes up close, but it shakes involuntarily. “Elsa, you need to let go.” Because I’m the demon. You need to hate me. I’m putting a stop to this.

Elsa, herself, frowns down at Anna and slaps her hand away. “I don’t care. You think I care about that? After all the things I told you about- Ah, you’re right. It really doesn’t matter.” As if a switch just turned that Anna didn’t intend to, Elsa reaches a hand of her own, but forcefully grabs her sister’s chin to tilt it up. The action finally catches a breath out of her lungs, alike of almost ten years ago, even if it’s not in that passionate sense. “I know something you always wanted from me, that’s good enough.”

“What?”

“…You said it yourself, darling. Still want me to let go? You never even really met me to begin with.” How the fuck can someone’s eyes darken like that?! “Last year we were both drunk and we didn’t fuck, by the way. I was messing with you.” She lets go of her chin to slowly brush her jacket off one shoulder, as Anna shrieks away involuntarily.

“But I-”

“You asked me to make you feel something, but I just dropped you off at a hotel.” Elsa giggles. She actually- this little shit! “What? Don’t tell me you’re scared now...”

Oh, fuck.

I mean, fuck me.

What the Hell is happening-

Notes:

I’m sorry for taking too long on updating, but your comments always make me excited to show more and more of this little mess! I never had such thought-out reviews before, some of you even tried guessing the whole plotline (damn little detectives), so let’s see if you’ll get it right!

Yes, they are gonna fuck.