Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:
2021-05-18
Updated:
2021-08-13
Words:
8,288
Chapters:
9/?
Comments:
27
Kudos:
301
Bookmarks:
27
Hits:
5,835

School Sucks

Summary:

Aether was still sleeping when their alarm went off. Infact, he probably would have slept through the insistent beeping if someone hadn’t so rudely slapped him awake.

“Lumine what the hell?!” Aether glared up at his sister who was still holding the pillow she slapped him with.

 

or

genshin highschool AU where Lumine and Aether are freshman making their way through the year.

Chapter 1: First Day

Summary:

The first day begins their journey

Notes:

this fic is written on impulse and will update randomly although I try to get a chapter in every week
you guys are in for a ride cause this isn't gonna be wholesome the entire time, but it'll work out...probably

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Aether was still sleeping when their alarm went off. Infact, he probably would have slept through the insistent beeping if someone hadn’t so rudely slapped him awake.

“Lumine what the hell?!” Aether glared up at his sister who was still holding the pillow she slapped him with. Without saying a word, Lumine turned around and gracefully exited their shared room, calling out, “School, remember?” before slamming Aether’s door shut. He begrudgingly dragged himself out of bed, pulling on his new uniform and pulling back his long, blonde hair into an ugly braid -Lumine would fix it- before heading to the kitchen.

Lumine was already sitting at the table eating a bowl of cereal, she looked up for a second and groaned at Aether’s appearance. The second he sat down, she was already fussing over his hair.

“I just bought you a new brush, it’d do you a lot of favors if you used it, but noooooo I just have to do your hair every morning- HEY THAT’S MY CEREAL!”

While Lumine went on her daily rant, Aether ate what was now his cereal, occasionally adjusting the navy blue blazer he was wearing. Lumine finished his hair quickly - tugging the neat braid for good measure - and started making toast for the road.

“Mom had to leave for work early and dad’s taking Paimon to school, so we’re stuck taking the bus which really sucks cause it’s always so noisy.”

“Lumine what the fuck.”

“What? I’m just telling you, would it kill you to be a little nic-”

“No, no. Why, are you making plain bread for breakfast?!” Sure enough the older twin was spreading butter on a very much untoasted piece of whole wheat bread. And while the twins were alike in most ways, this was not one of them.

“Shut up you're literally eating soggy cereal, now let’s go, I’ll kill you if we’re late.”

The twins walked side by side, one would occasionally try to get ahead of the other to no avail. Lumine was still eating her toast while Aether fumbled with his tie. When the pair finally arrived at the bus stop, it had already begun to leave. Lumine was able to catch the driver’s attention and luckily they could hop on.

“Thank you” Lumine nodded politely towards the driver, practically dragging Aether behind her. “See I told you we were gonna be late” is what she said when they were out of earshot. Lumine quickly found a seat with her middle school friends, a soft spoken girl with light purple hair and a girl holding a strange panda plush. He couldn’t remember their names, all Aether knew was that they had been his sister’s friends since kindergarten. They soon started an upbeat conversation amongst themselves and Aether took it as his cue to find a seat alone in the back.

For the most part, the assembly was uneventful. It was just a large group of freshmen listening to the principal recite some nonsense along the lines of: You’ll be so happy here! All our seniors are kind! Welcome! Aether’d heard enough of these speeches to promptly zone out when it got too boring. He was grateful to be sitting next to Xiangling - that was the girl with the pandas name - who seemed to have an endless amount of food she wanted him to try.

“Okay okay, now you have to try this one, it's my new creation!” A piece of dough? was handed to Aether. It was still warm and looked normal, so he decided it was safe to eat. Which was clearly the wrong decision since it was filled with - was this cream cheese?

“Do you like it? I wanted to go for something simple, but surprising! You know? I wanted to add jelly, but I figured that was too much like a donut and the recipe was much more unique without it.”

Xiangling kept speaking, but all Aether was thinking about was how to spit this out without offending her. He really hated cream cheese, but he couldn’t bear to hurt Xiangling’s feelings, so he ate the rest of her contraption, muttering an “It’s great!” when he finished.

Suddenly students were getting up and heading out the doors on all sides. Had the assembly ended already?

“Aether! Noelle and I have the same homeroom! Goodluck!” Lumine flashed him a thumbs up before running in with the crowd. Now he was all alone. Again. Xiangling had already disappeared….somewhere, so he was left in a room full of stampeding kids with no clue where to go and no one to help him. He was tempted to curl up in the corner and cry, but the reasonable part of his brain told him it’d be better to start moving sooner rather than later.

And that’s how he found himself aimlessly wandering the halls, desperately trying to find his homeroom while fighting the urge to cry in the hallway. That would explain the reason he didn’t see the girl running right towards him until the two collided.

"Oh ow…Goodness! Are you okay? I’m so sorry. Here let me help you!” the cheerful voice was coming from… an upperclassmen? At least she looked older than Aether was. She wore the same uniform he did - a white shirt, blue blazer, and tie with the only difference being a tan skirt rather than khakis and a vibrant red headband.

“Um… it’s okay, really! I wasn’t looking where I was going anyways…” Aether trailed off, not knowing how to respond, no one had apologized to him in so long, besides Lumine that is.

“Oh Archons it’s not your fault. I can’t believe I nearly killed a freshman already…” She mumbled the last part, looking pretty downcast about the whole situation.

“Are you sure you’re okay? You look like you’re about to cry.”

Shit. Shit. Did Aether really look like that? What if he’d walked into class looking all sad and mopey? No one would like him then.

“Actually I’m kinda….lost? I could really use some help.”

“Oh of course! That’s my specialty!” The brunette snatched his map, examining it for a few seconds before shouting, “Mrs. Nieve’s room is the second door down that hallway! I can walk you, it’s my job to help out freshman as a sophomore anyway!”

“Thanks. I’m Aether by the way.”

“Aether? OH! Jean was talking about you before! She’s really nice, I’m sure you’ll love her! She’s been president of the student council since like….forever! I’m Amber by the way, proud class rep! My current job is to help lost freshmen.”

“Jean was talking about me?” Aether would rather not have the president of the student council gossiping about him already, it’s not like he’s a bad kid after all.

“It’s nothing bad, don’t worry. She was actually really vague… oh look, your class!”

Notes:

and we're off! kinda excited to get this started
this chapter's kinda short, but I just wanted to get the hang of posting
next one might be longer!