Actions

Work Header

Under the Stars

Summary:

What's a better place for a kiss?

Notes:

Seeing the Flash Prompt image, I couldn't get these two boys out of my head

These two OC's belong to my darling dears!!

Duke: Multifangirl69.

Sebjorn: BlueJayCalling.

Work Text:

There were very few moments in life when a Witcher was able to really just enjoy a quiet evening. A fire to keep them warm, a more or less comfortable bedroll to sleep on, and food to warm their bellies.

This Witcher, in particular, still feeling bad about killing the rabbit for his meal, sighed heavily as he stirred the small pot over the fire, the smell of rabbit stew wafting into the air, and he smiled ever so slightly when a small head bumped into his cheek. Looking from the corner of his eye, he watched as the small white critter skittered about on his shoulder, weaving in and out of his scarf before finally settling and stared up at him, a quiet squeaking leaving the small animal. The Witcher laughed softly, reaching up and gently scrubbing at the critters head, having it squeak again and close its eyes as it rubs and nuzzles all across his finger, relaxing further into his scarf, but not before it had stretched out and poked its nose against the Witcher’s cheeks like a kiss.

“You know,” the Witcher tensed, his head whipping around at the voice, “that sort of relationship is frowned upon in many parts.”

The man smirked, seeing a fellow Witcher come out of the bushes, strawberry red hair pulled back into intricate braids that hung together in a loose ponytail, barely tanned sun-kissed skin making the Witcher stand out in the dark, a roaring Griffin head hanging around his neck.

“Fuck off, Sebjorn,” the witcher growled with a playful roll of his eyes, watching as the other placed a hand over his chest and dramatically stepped back.

“You wound me!” Sebjorn exclaimed dramatically before stepping closer, smirking at the other. “I’m starting to think you like your forest friends better than me, Duke!”

The Witcher, Duke, rolled his eyes and smirked, tilting his head back and turned ever so slightly, the curly black strands of his hair falling across his back, dark skin lighting up against the fire, a snarling Bear face dangling around his neck.

“And if I do?” Duke asked, watching as Sebjorn gaped and floundered for words, trying and failing to keep up the charade of being wounded as his lips turned up into a smile.

“I guess you don’t get your present then,” Sebjorn said, still smiling, and walked over to the trunk that Duke had taken as his seat and dropped down next to the Bear, making sure not to jostle his bag when he put it down and sighed heavily, tilting his head back to look at the sky.

“Present?” Duke asked, brow lifting in curiosity as he watched the other Witcher. He had known Sebjorn for years, even before they were both made into Witcher’s, and while Duke was still learning how to interact better with other people and trying not to offend quite so often, the Griffin was Duke’s best friend and he cared a great deal for him.

“Hmm? Oh, yes, present!” Sebjorn smiled, glancing at Duke. “Later, eat your stew, any longer over the fire there and it will boil to nothing or you will end up pouring it out so you won't have to eat the poor rabbit who perished for its creation,” Sebjorn said with a smirk and looked towards Duke just as the Bear looked away, his cheeks warming ever so slightly.

“What about you?” Duke asked, “eaten?” He clarified when Sebjorn made a curious noise.

“Oh, yes, I made sure to have my fill of venison before finding you,” Sebjorn said, smiling as he looked up at the sky. Duke couldn’t help the blush that coloured his cheeks, while eating meat was a necessity to keep the proper strength their bodies needed, Duke always hated the thought of killing an innocent creature just so he could stay strong, always appreciating when Sebjorn didn’t wolf down his meal of whatever poor creature he had caught in front of him.

They sat in silence while Duke ate, the Bear drinking the broth in large gulps so he didn't have to actually chew the rabbit and instead just swallow it all down whole, occasionally pausing to chew one of the vegetables he had cut up for it. He kept glancing at Sebjorn, tilting his head whenever he saw the Griffin looking at his bag or peeking inside of it, but he knew that he wouldn’t get an answer until his meal was polished off.

After half an hour, and Sebjorn’s encouragement that Duke finishes off the entire pot, the meal was finished and Duke went about rinsing out the pot with a little water from his waterskin and putting everything away. The Bear was stuffing his pot and bowl away, his back turned to Sebjorn, and could hear the Griffin fumbling with something.

The Griffin was always tactful, having prepared some short lesson or another for whenever he and Duke crossed paths to help him with his social skills, and the Bear sighed heavily as he spun about, ready to ask the other Witcher if they could skip this meetings lessons, but what he wasn’t expecting was to come face to face with bluest eyes he’s ever seen.

Duke blinked in confusion and leaned back, staring at the creature being held in front of him. It was a fox, a pure snow-white fox with sapphire blue eyes, being held up by the scruff and had all four of its legs tucked against its belly. Duke blinked, looking at its front leg and seeing that it was bandaged and splinted, his eyes trailing up towards Sebjorn who was holding out the small fox cub towards him.

“Okay, so… I admit that I was the one to hurt him, but not on purpose!” Sebjorn said quickly, looking away from Duke when the Bear lifted a scolding brow at him. “He ran into a trap I had set for a rabbit and… well… he’s young, right? Too young to be on his own, and even after letting him out the mother didn’t come back, and you like animals! So…” Sebjorn trailed off, glancing back at Duke who was slowly reaching out to the fox and smiling as it growled at him but quickly stopped when the Bear placed a hand against its muzzle, right where it connected to its head and gently scrubbed.

“So, what? You are just dumping it on me to fix?” Duke asked, reaching up with his other hand now and plucking the cub from Sebjorn’s hand, cradling it against his chest.

“What?! No! Sweet mother of--” Sebjorn rubbed his hands over his face, looking about the clearing they were in for a moment as he tried thinking about what to do next. “I know you like animals more than people, and I know you’ve been a little sad since that wolf of yours died,” Sebjorn was now waving his hands about, slightly panicked. “Not that this is to replace it! I just thought that maybe it would help! You know!? And at any rate--!”

Sebjorn’s rant was cut off as Duke started laughing. Full-on belly laughs, holding the fox close to him as he shut his eyes tightly, mouth split open in a smile so wide his teeth were showing, and Sebjorn could only stare as he watched Duke laugh and try to collect himself after a moment.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry… you just looked so… frazzled!” Duke exclaimed, laughing again as his whole body tilted back.

“Oh, yes. Har har, so funny,” Sebjorn said sarcastically but had a smile on his face. “Laugh at your friend, such a sweet person you are, Duke,” he rolled his eyes but kept smiling, letting Duke collect himself.

Sebjorn had started to kick dirt onto the fire, putting it out, while Duke tried to stop laughing. He didn’t mind, it was very few and far between that Duke had a laugh this good, and Sebjorn could wait. Once Duke had finally stopped laughing, wiping the tears from his eyes and taking deep breaths to get his air back, Sebjorn had kicked a final pile of dirt onto the fire and extinguished it, getting a curious glance from Duke.

“We always have fires going, but tonight is warm and clear,” Sebjorn said, tilting his head and looking up, Duke following the direction with his eyes and sucked in a breath as the sight of so many stars filled his vision.

They sat in silence, watching the stars while Duke pet and cradled his new friend, the fox cub falling asleep easily in the hold of the Witcher. After a while, Duke turned towards Sebjorn to see the other Witcher was staring at him, a smile appearing on his face when Sebjorn was caught looking.

“It’s beautiful,” Duke said, looking back at the sky.

“Hmm, yea, it is,” Sebjorn breathed, but Duke had a feeling that the other Witcher wasn’t talking about the stars.

Sebjorn scooted closer to Duke, the warmth of the other Witcher seeping into his side, and the Bear turned to watch him. Sebjorn was shorter than Duke by half a head, but right now Duke felt smaller by the way Sebjorn was staring at him.

“Do you like your gift?” Sebjorn asked quietly, glancing at the fox asleep in Duke’s arms, and he nodded stupidly. “Good, I’m glad,” Sebjorn smiled, his gaze shifting between Duke’s eyes. “I’m sorry I hurt him.”

“He will heal,” Duke reassured gently, watching as Sebjorn hummed in the back of his throat and looked back down at the fox, pulling his lower lip into his mouth in thought. He looked back at Duke, gold meeting gold, and Duke sucked in a sharp breath as Sebjorn leaned forward quickly and captured the Bear’s lips in a gentle kiss.

Duke was frozen for a moment, eyes wide, spine straight, till Sebjorn’s hand found its way into his hair and pulled him just that little bit closer, their lips moulding together and Duke melted into the touch, a breathy sigh leaving him as he, albeit clumsily, returned the kiss. Duke let out a noise of protest when Sebjorn pulled away, the Griffin chuckling softly as he reached up with his other hand and gently wiped the corner of Duke’s lips.

“Hmm, going to kiss me every time you give me something?” Duke asked, finally managing to open his eyes again to look at Sebjorn.

“I could,” Sebjorn answered, his head tilting ever so slightly. “Or,” Duke liked ‘or’, “I could just do it whenever I wanted,” Sebjorn grinned wolfishly at Duke and the Bear couldn’t help the shudder that ran down his spine.

“That. Definitely that,” Duke breathed, his eyes fluttering shut as Sebjorn cupped his cheek.

“Good,” Sebjorn breathed, pulling Duke back in for another sweet kiss, one of many more to come.