Actions

Work Header

Culture Shock!

Chapter 15: Fashion Part 2

Summary:

Shadow goes to the store

Shadow, Amy & Rouge Friendship

CW: Mentions of gender roles and toxic masculinity

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Fashion Part 2

Shadow had been to the store plenty of times before to pick up various things like groceries or nail polish remover. It was a strange, startling experience the first time around. Rummaging through shelves seemed to bring up more questions than answers. But after visits to the grocery store became routine, it became nothing more than another part of life on earth.

But this was different… overwhelming. Who in their right mind decided all-white fixtures against all white flooring and all-white walls was a good decision. And who turned the radio this loud? And what is this music? It was like a personal assault on all his senses. But the girls didn’t seem to mind in the slightest, they dragged him about, trying to get him to pick some clothes.

Ok, the environment was one thing he couldn’t do, but he always had a secret appreciation for fashion. Even if it was frivolous. To their face, he pretended not to care, to be above such silly things. He was the ultimate lifeform after he didn’t need clothing. But a veridian knee-length raincoat was calling his name in a way he couldn’t explain.

Oh, it didn’t have back holes to accommodate his quills, but it didn’t matter, he had learned to sew in his youth. Regardless, he turned up his nose. Continuing to fight the urge to indulge in such a thing.

The point of his false Insouciance was defensive despite how it may appear on the outside. He feared, as embarrassing as it was, the defamation of his reputation. Wouldn’t his friends make fun of him if he were to express interest?

Unfortunately for Shadow it was becoming more and more difficult to hang on to his little farce as his eyes grazed a particular pair of blush pink waist-high gingham shorts. But he was a boy, what would he do with something so girly? He could already picture Gerald’s disapproving eyes looking down on him when he was playing dress-up with Maria. What a shame.

But it was when they were at the cheap earrings portion of the store that his eyes became fixated on the collection. Rouge was talking but he couldn’t hear, he was much too busy thinking about how a pair of gaudy gold hoops would look in his ears. Of course, as any good agent would, she picked up his fascination. He wasn’t very subtle.

While he was gingerly poking at earrings Amy turned to Rouge holding the tackiest bright blue sweatpants with pink flames at the end. “Do you think Shadow would like this?”

“I know he’d like this.”

It was sometime later after Rouge and Amy had secretly acquired all the store’s loudest items, they shepherded Shadow into the dressing room. He put up his little indignant fight, draping his feet until the curtain closed. But in reality, he was excited even though he didn’t admit it to himself.

He couldn’t place what had him derive pleasure from pieces of cloth that hung from his body. Was it the colors? The way it fit him? How it made him look? It wasn’t like anything he has ever worn before. He doesn't remember ever being this excited about clothes. Maybe the other’s reactions would give him clarity.

He stepped out wearing a blue Hawaiian shirt paired with black cargo shorts with a chain attached for flare. He hoped they wouldn’t bug him about leaving his shirt open, it was a bit small and he had already ripped the back enough with his quills. But to both his shock and delight the girls were all over it. Asking to take pictures of him.

It felt good. Shadow wasn’t an attention seeker but.. This was nice. He tried a couple of other things, crop tops with distressed jeans, flowery shirts with short shorts, the aforementioned raincoat with gingham shorts. However bizarre the combination, his friend’s appeared excited to see it.

He wouldn’t tell them, but he was grateful that they dragged him out of the house today. Also, he was rather excited to delve into the world of modern fashion.

Notes:

I loooove the headcannon that Shadow's a fashion disaster but somehow makes it work (he already looks unique enough as it is, the clothes j compliment it)

Btw this chapter is purposefully queer coded (pride month so things are a bit gayer than usual maybe) so feel free to see this in a questioning sexuality/gender sort of light. Or even as Shadow j breaking away from tradition since ig male mobians don't ware clothes much