Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warnings:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:
2021-03-11
Updated:
2021-08-31
Words:
12,985
Chapters:
13/?
Comments:
16
Kudos:
177
Bookmarks:
18
Hits:
4,249

When will you be back?

Summary:

"Why would I join?" Diluc remarks, a scowl present on his face as he takes a sip of grape juice from a wine glass.

Ajax only smirks, a chuckle coming out of his mouth. "I knew you would say that, Master Diluc. You're so predictable," He stands up and reaches his hand to gently grab Diluc's jaw, his thumb pressed against the redhead's lips. "But, wouldn't you like a peek from inside the Fatui's base? You would learn so much."

Diluc scoffs and slaps away Ajax's hand. "Why," Diluc questions, Ajax making a 'hm' sound. "Why would you like me to do that? I could join and then double-cross you all. That's a stupid idea allowing me to join. Either way, I would never think about being in the Fatui." He says.

"Think about it," Ajax informs him, taking his last sip of wine. "I'll be taking my leave now. Have a good day, Master Diluc. I'll be back."

Notes:

Help my sanity, please. Stay safe and enjoy.

Chapter 1: His Arrival

Chapter Text

 

   Today was one of those rare days in which Diluc decided to work behind the counter in Angels' Share and he picked the worst day to do so. The tavern was energetic and drunks were bellowing for their glasses to be refilled every five minutes. Diluc grumbled as he heard another person yell: "Another -- hic! -- drink, please!"

  Diluc pinched the bridge of his nose, motioning Charles to go get the glass that demanded to be filled. Charles nodding and leaving the bar to go grab some glasses. The redhead looked at the door, hearing it open. Much to his dismay, Kaeya, the Calvary Captain, had arrived. 

  "Ah, hello, dear brother," He says, Diluc's eyes furrowing. Diluc gives him a glare Kaeya knows too well. "Tavern's lively today, isn't it? I'm surprised you decided to work today. Normally, you would simply lounge in the Dawn Winery all day." Kaeya chuckles.

  "First, I've told you on many occasions to not call me 'brother'," Diluc tells him. "Second, what do you want? Go away and sleep with some random person you find laying in the streets again."

  Now, the two have a tricky relationship, to say the least. For Diluc, it's sort of a love-hate relationship. He cares for his brother, don't get me wrong, but he also has a place in his heart that tells Diluc to throw Kaeya away. 

  That place in his heart is a dark place Diluc tries to neglect, but at times, it overcomes him, consuming him. There have been times where he's had the urge to slam a bottle of wine on Kaeya's head, to let him bleed, to turn his back on Kaeya. That thought scares Diluc.

  Kaeya gasps dramatically, placing his hand on his heart. "Oh, my Barbatos! How rude of you, Diluc! I feel offended," He huffs, crossing his arms. "Now, could you please give me a glass of Dandelion Wine? Thank you."

  "Fine, but you're paying for it. I already have the bard not paying me, I don't need someone else deciding not to pay." Diluc groans, grabbing a clean cup and a bottle of wine.

  Kaeya nods, "Okay, okay. I'll pay this time," Kaeya retrieves a bag of mora from his pocket and places it on the bar. "See? Real mora."

  "Okay. I'll believe you this time," Diluc states, handing Kaeya his wine. Kaeya gives him a stare. "Hm? What is it?"

  "The Fatui. I heard one of the Harbingers had arrived in Mondstadt today." The Calvary Captian notifies him, Diluc's eyes widen.

  "A Harbinger? In Mondstadt," Diluc questions trying to keep a monotone voice. "That's surprising. I assumed they would leave Mondstat alone after La Signora took the bard's gnosis. Do you know which one arrived here?"

  "That's what I thought too. Apparently, they have some more business here," Kaeya answers. "Now, I don't know what else they need here, that is what I'm trying to find out currently. I'm assuming they want something else from Venti, but I'm not certain. I also haven't found out with Harbinger it is."

  Diluc sighs: "Ah, alright. I'll try taking matters into my own hands if the Knights of Favoinus can't do their job right again. I'll try finding out which Harbinger arrived and I will make sure they are dead. I won't allow Mondstat to suffer more than it already has."

  "Oh, wow. How chivalrous," Kaeya jokes, taking a sip of wine. "I'm sure the Knights can handle this. You don't always need to take credit for everything, Diluc."

  Diluc grumbles, "Master Diluc, here are the wine glasses people have asked to be refilled," Charles says, wine glasses in hand. "Ah, Mister Kaeya, greetings."

  "Oh, Charles, thank you. Sorry for having the tavern packed today. I'm sure it's a burden, feel free to take the rest of the day off," Diluc replies, taking the wine glasses from Charles' hands. "Could you do me a quick favor, though? Could you tell the drunkards that we're closing?"

  "Oh, alright. Thank you, Master Diluc. I appreciate it. Have a good day, Master Diluc and Mister Kaeya." Charles replies, going to complete his mission. Diluc witnesses people starting to leave, Charles smiles and walks out of the tavern.

  "Now that he's out of the way," Diluc says. "I don't take credit for everything nor do I intend to. I simply get the task done because the Knights are useless."

  "How rude. We are not useless," Kaeya complains. "We get plenty done."

  "You only do the minimal amount of work required, that's not working hard enough. Amber, what has she done? Lisa? All she does is read and punish people if they don't return their books. Jean, she actually does work. Except, she can't get as much done as she should. She always ends up passing out due to lack of sleep." Diluc groans.

  "You simply have too high of expectations, that's all," Kaeya tells him. Diluc only rolls his eyes. "Mean. Anyways, feel free to do our work for us then. Let's make a bet."

  "Alright, fine. What's the bet?" Diluc questions, arms crossed.

  "If the Knights get the Harbinger situation solved, then I get free drinks for 1 month," Kaeya tells him.

  "If I get the situation solved, you're not allowed to buy any drinks for a month nor are you allowed to call me brother," Diluc says to him.

  "Hmph. Alright, fine. Deal," Kaeya sticks his hand out, Diluc shaking it. Kaeya takes a drink of his wine. "Aw, I'm all out. Well, better get going. See ya, Diluc." Kaeya waves and strolls out of the tavern, leaving Diluc alone with a bag of mora and a wine glass.

  Diluc exhalations, grabbing the glass to clean it. "Ah, so you're the famous Master Diluc." Diluc's eyes widen, him scanning side to side.

  "Who are you," Diluc inqires. "And, the tavern is closed, leave."

  A laugh comes from the stairs. "What a shame," Diluc clutches the glass, ready to attack. "Now, now, put the glass down. I'm not gonna kill you just yet. I only wish to talk, Master Diluc."

  "Get out. I'm not dealing with this bullshit right now. I have some business to do." Diluc growls, scowling at the staircase.

  "Oh? The Harbinger business I'm assuming." The voice answers, catching Diluc off-guard.

  "How did you know about that? Don't tell me Kaeya tells everyone he sleeps with everything," Diluc huffs. "Now, I want you to leave. I'm not dealing with you. I don't care about what you know about the Harbinger arriving, I just need some peace."

  "Aw, but I know the Harbinger who arrived is, my dear." Diluc hearing footsteps emerge from the staircase.

  "You do? Then, tell me," Diluc responds. "Now or else I'll smash this glass on your head." He walks out from behind the counter, glass in hand.

  "Firstly, I think that's mean. No hitting me with a glass--"

  "I don't care what you think." Diluc interrupts them, hearing a dramatic groan.

  "Don't interrupt me, my dear. Secondly," The voice pauses, more footsteps coming from the staircase. Light shines over the male. "I am. I am Tartaglia, 11th of the Fatui Harbingers. Code name: Childe. How are you today, Master Diluc?"

  Diluc's eyes furrow. "I'll kill you here and now, Fatui. I want you gone from this world, but first, why are you here?"

  Tartaglia chuckles. "I just want to fight someone. That's it. I'm also looking for recruits."

  "Huh, I assumed you wanted something more from Venti," Diluc says, raising the glass and throwing it towards Tartaglia. Tartaglia ducks down, the glass shattering the wall.

  "Wow, close one," The ginger laughs. "It would've been fun to catch it and throw it back, but too late." Tartaglia shrugs.

  "Fun? You're insane." Diluc mumbles.

  "I'm insane? Heard that one before," Tartaglia smiles. "Think of a new one. Ooo! Maybe call me sexy or some shit. Just compliment me!" He walks towards Diluc, their faces only centimeters apart. 

  "Call you sexy? Absolutely not. You're unappealing to the eye." Diluc says, a small smirk on his face. 

  "Unappealing? Wow, how rude, Master Diluc." Tartaglia sighs, shaking his head and placing a hand on his hip. 

  "Even if you were appealing, I still wouldn't go as far as to call you sexy," Diluc replies. "Now, why are you even here? Answer me."

  Tartaglia laughs: "Like I said, my dear, I'm looking for a fight," Tartaglia pauses. "And I would like to fight you." 

  Diluc looks at the Harbinger. "Fight me? Hmph," Diluc ponders for a moment. "No."

  "Haah," Tartaglia looks at him shocked. "Why?"

  "The answer is simple," Diluc starts. "I'm not going to give you what you want until you leave Mondstadt ."

  "What about when I leave Mondstadt?" Tartaglia asks. 

  "I'm still not giving you anything you want. Deal with it and get out." Diluc points towards the door, Tartaglia laughing. 

   "Haha! Never. Not until I get a fight with you." Tartaglia grabs Diluc's waist, pulling him closer. 

  "Let go of me," Diluc mumbles, slapping Tartaglia in the face. "I will never give you what you want, even if I have the opportunity to kill you."

  Tartaglia keeps a firm grip on the redhead's waist, ignoring the pain in his cheek. He licks Diluc's cheek, Diluc cringing. "Ew, that's disgusting. Stop it, Fatui."  

   The ginger smiles, "Not until you fight me,"  He licks Diluc's cheek again, earning a sucker punch to the mouth. "Ow! That really hurt." He whines. 

    "I'll do it again. Now, let go of me." Diluc scowls, punching Tartaglia again in the mouth. 

    "Ahaha! Wow, feisty, I like it," Tartaglia replies. Diluc strikes him again, blood dribbling from his nose. "This is kinda like fighting, nice." Tartaglia pushes Diluc onto the counter, pining the redhead's arms over his head. 

  "Let go of me for the last goddamn time. I will kill you here and now." Diluc grumbles, kneeing Tartaglia's crotch. 

  "Ow! Meanie," Tartaglia raises Diluc's legs, Diluc punching Tartaglia again, for his hands were free now. "Oh, you little shit." Tartaglia punches Diluc back, the redhead's blood dripping down into the small gaps between his fingers. 

  Diluc rubs his nose, lifting his leg to kick Tartaglia's stomach. "Get out and rot on the streets." Tartaglia stumbles back, allowing Diluc to stand up and punch the Harbinger again. 

  "I'd rather rot in your arms, dear." Tartaglia laughs, kicking Diluc's knee, making Diluc fall. 

  "Shut up, Fatui," Diluc stands up and punches Tartaglia in the mouth, busting the ginger's lip. "And don't call me that." He kicks Tartaglia's stomach, Tartaglia falling to the floor. 

  Diluc steps on the Harbinger's face, digging his heel into Tartaglia's cheek. "Owie! Fine! You win, now stop it!" Tartaglia whines.

  Diluc sighs and gets off of the whining male. Tartaglia stands up and wipes the dust off his pants. "That was a good little fight there, thank you, dear," Tartaglia kisses Diluc's cheek. "I'll be off now. Toodaloo~!"

  Tartaglia walks out of Angels' Share, leaving Diluc alone once more. The redhead groans, walking over to the shattered wine glass to clean the mess. He picks up the shards. "Damn, so that's the 11th Harbinger, huh?" 

  Diluc takes the broken glass shards to the trashcan and dumps them in the bin. He goes to get a tissue for his bloody nose. "I wonder if I'll see him again. Who knows? Maybe, just maybe," Diluc shakes his head. "What the hell am I saying? I hope he dies. I hope he leaves Mondstadt for Barbatos' sake." 

  Diluc glances up. "Goddamn it. Help me here, Venti; and please stay safe. I don't know what the Fatui are doing here, but stay safe. Please, for my sake and Mondstadt’s."