Actions

Work Header

Avoiding the inevitable

Chapter 24

Notes:

Hello, lovely loves!

First of all, let me start by saying that I absolutely adored your comments about my ABBA & Mamma Mia questions. Someone I know had teased my silly little sensitive heart because I get all emotional when I think about the second movie. So, I apologize, but it's selfishly great to hear, and that I can now prove to her, that I'm not alone in this, hehe.

& Secondly, as always, thank you so much for all your lovely comments! They're a delightful way to wake up to & they never fail to cheer me up during the day as well!

So, as a little thank you from me, here's another fluffy chapter for you darlings!

Enjoy! <3

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Wednesday, 2:03 PM  

“I cannot for the life of me even begin to comprehend the outrageous atrocities one can commit when given the most elementary, self-explanatory directives that even an untrained monkey could perform. Honestly, Andréa, what have you been thinking when you approved of that birdbrain? All that imbecile has done since your absence is prove that it is entirely possible for one person to be dimwitted and incompetent enough to such ludicrous extents, to drive a whole industry into its ruination. This is not just merely ridiculous, Andréa, it is utterly preposterous, and that is even an outright understatement,” came the irritably expressed rant when Andy answered her phone after the first ring. 

Andy chuckled as she sat up from where she’d been lying down on the couch and turned off the TV, thinking how much she enjoyed the fact that Miranda now turned to her, seemingly relaxed, or rather, untroubled enough with their relation to openly talk about anything that was bothering the older woman. 

It was as if, over the course of the last week or so, one of Miranda’s many walls had started to come crumbling down with every conversation they’ve had, making way for a foundation of comfortable communication between them as they now seemed to easily interact with one another through light-heartedly delivered repartee or freely provided banter, without worrying about their growing affinity being unprofessional in nature. 

Miranda’s aggravated voice came through the line again before Andy even had a chance to speak. “Pray tell, Andréa, what could you possibly find so amusing about this debacle that is fundamentally your wrongdoing?” 

Smirking, Andy rolled her eyes as she shook her head. “Well, hello to you too, Miranda. I’m feeling better, thank you for asking. And I am utterly delighted to hear about the pleasant day you’ve been having so far, but it almost makes me sad that I seem to be missing out on so much fun. Or is you making me jealous, your objective all along?” 

Miranda huffed. “Be assured, Andréa, I am being absolutely serious. You have truly no idea how frustrating it is that I cannot rectify this headache myself by simply firing the girl since it will leave me with no assistant to take up the slack. How is it that you were able to keep the office running as competent as you did while working with such a nitwit? I know that you have been doing most of the work, more than that is actually required of you since you could have easily passed on a fair share of your workload to her, but did you even bother to train her? The girl can do absolutely nothing right, all she has been doing is make problems even worse, for God’s sake.” 

Andy blinked. “How did you-, I mean, you knew-, know, about that? About me doing most of the work?” 

“Of course, I do, Andréa,” Miranda answered sternly, as if Andy couldn’t have asked a more foolish question. “I know everything that goes on at Runway. Well, except for the fact that there had been an idiot with the brain capacity of a neanderthal mucking about within these walls. That oversight needn’t have required my attention up until now due to you keeping everything functioning adequately enough. However, I can no longer ignore such a transgression, Andréa. The girl will undoubtedly need to go upon your return. Unfortunately, that means that in the meantime, I have to deal with the destruction the cretin is leaving in her wake.” 

Andy winced, realizing that Miranda wasn’t even remotely close to feigning overdramatization, then she warily asked, “What did Claire do?” 

Miranda scoffed. “Where do I even begin? She forgot to take fundamental notes on meetings, lost thousands of dollars worth of samples as well as essential documents, spilled water on her computer, nearly setting her desk on fire, ruined a shoot because she booked the wrong date for the venue, delivered unsatisfactory coffee more times than you can even begin to imagine, ordered a revolting well-done steak, and the flower arrangements that are dispersed around my office all have freesias in them, need I go on, Andréa?” 

“Oh my God,” Andy breathed. “Okay, you’re right, that’s just ridiculous. I never would’ve thought she’d make so many mistakes in just a couple of days’ time.” 

“No, Andréa,” Miranda grumbled. “The twit did all of that today.” 

“Fuck,” Andy gasped in disbelief as she got up from the couch. 

“Quite.” Miranda sighed, suddenly sounding weary. “Do you now see what I have to deal with, Andréa? For heaven’s sake, in the twenty years that I have been running the magazine, I have never come across this level of incompetence before.” 

Walking into her bedroom, Andy took off her t-shirt, then jested, “Think you can manage not to kill her, or anyone else for that matter, within the next hour?” 

“If things continue the way they are now, I fear that such a scenario will be entirely possible.” Miranda paused for a short moment. “Why?” 

“Because I-, ouch, shit.” Andy groaned as she stubbed her toe against the dresser while she was taking off her sweatpants. 

“Andréa?” Miranda questioned. “Is something wrong?” 

“Sorry,” Andy mumbled. “Just banged my toe while undressing.” 

“Undressing?” Miranda asked, her voice sounding slightly higher than usual. “What are you-, I mean, why?” 

Cradling the phone between her ear and shoulder, Andy breathed as she pulled up a pair of jeans, “Because I’m coming over.” 

“You are coming...” Miranda trailed off. Sounding a little confused, she asked, “What are you talking about? I did not ask of you to come here, Andréa.” 

Buttoning up her shirt, Andy said with conviction, “I know, but I’m coming over to help, anyway. Claire’s mess is sort of my mistake too, so, I’m going to fix this.” 

“No, Andréa,” Miranda said sternly. “I did not intend for you to take it seriously when I blamed you for that idiot’s incompetence. You should be resting, and not burden yourself with wanting to rectify someone else’s failures.” 

“It’s no burden, Miranda, I’m happy to help,” Andy said as she tied her hair up in a messy bun. “Besides, I’ve been going slightly crazy with boredom just sitting around my apartment all day. I want to feel useful, even if it is just for a couple of hours.” 

“Andréa-” Miranda began to object again but was cut off. 

“I’m coming over, Miranda,” Andy said sternly. “Whether you like it or not.” 

Miranda sighed in reluctance. “Very well. However, I will only allow you to work for a couple of hours, Andréa. And if I see you showing even the slightest hint of discomfort due to your concussion, I am sending you straight back home.” 

Grabbing her bag after she’d donned her coat, Andy grinned as she nodded. “Alright, you’ve got yourself a deal, Priestly.” Andy blinked. “I-, I mean, Miranda. I’m on my way.” 

“And do not even dare to use the subway, Ms. Sachs. Take a taxi, I will pick up the tab,” Miranda said in a no-nonsense tone. 

Locking up her front door, Andy grinned. “Was already planning on it, but I’m not letting you pay for it. Honestly, it’s no problem.” Running down the stairs, she said, “I’m gonna make a few calls now. I’ll see you soon, Miranda.” 

“Alright,” Miranda said softly. “And I, you.” 

*** 

Exiting the elevator onto the Runway floor, Andy was very much aware of the disapproving glances thrown her way because of the casual attire she was wearing, taking her back to the first time she’d walked down these halls. She couldn’t help but proudly recognize how much she’d changed over the course of a year. Without a single care in the world as to what people might think of her, Andy strode down the halls with a purposeful gait in her step. When she entered the anteroom, the second assistant was nowhere to be found. Approaching the threshold to the inner office, Andy was glad to see that the bouquets in the office were currently being replaced by Miranda’s customary florist. 

“Oh!” The florist smiled as she noticed Andy approaching her. “Hi, Andy. Good to see you. You gave everyone down at the shop quite the scare when you called.” 

“Hiya, Madelyn.” Andy politely greeted the older woman. “I’m sorry ‘bout that, but I can’t tell you how grateful I am for delivering these on such short notice.” 

“Pfft, don’t even mention it.” Madelyn waved her hand dismissively. “We’re always happy to help you, dear.” Fixing a few flowers in place, she said, “They turned out beautifully, didn’t they? You got a great eye for flowers, Andy.” 

Andy shrugged. “Not really. I just know they’re Miranda’s favorites.” 

Madelyn nodded, then grinned as she looked over Andy’s shoulder. “Hello, Miranda. Just finished fixing the final piece for you. I hope they’re to your liking.” 

Turning around to face Miranda, Andy’s breath left her as her eyes took in the silver-haired woman. Wearing a shimmering satin, sapphire blue wrap blouse, tucked in a pearl river grey pencil skirt, and four-inch black Prada heels, Miranda was undeniably an exquisite sight to behold, driving Andy’s senses into overload for having been deprived of such a vision since she’d been home. 

Looking at Madelyn, Miranda gave a curt nod instead of her usual cold-delivered dismissal, which the florist took as her cue to take her leave. 

“’Till next time, Andy,” Madelyn said. 

“Bye, Madelyn. And thanks again.” Andy smiled. 

Once the florist left, Miranda walked over to the side of her desk, hand reaching up to gently caress a petal of a red camellia between her thumb and forefinger. For the first time since she’d entered the office, Miranda gazed up at Andy with a tender smile and curious eyes. 

“How did you know which ones are my favorite?” Miranda asked softly. 

Smiling shyly, Andy shrugged. “I-, I just picked up on it over time, I guess.” 

“Hm,” Miranda hummed as she inclined her head to the side. “How?” 

 “Well, I’ve been, y’know, paying attention to, uhm, you.” Fighting against her rising blush, Andy cleared her throat. “I’ve noticed that your eyes linger a bit longer when you like a particular arrangement.” 

“I see,” Miranda said, then looked back down at the red flower, her gentle smile fading slightly as a wistful look glazed over her eyes. “My grandmother had camellia trees all over her garden.” She paused for a short moment, her voice softening to a near whisper, causing Andy to lean in. “They bloomed beautifully every single year.” 

With a tender smile, Andy asked quietly, “Are they a good memory? Or do they make you sad?” 

Turning her head away from the younger woman, Miranda gazed out the window and fiddled with her necklace. After a moment, she admitted, “A balanced combination of both, I suppose.” 

Andy cautiously ventured further. “They don’t bother you then? Seeing them in your office? Just, for, y’know, future reference. So, I’ll know if I should include them or not from here on out.” 

Miranda shook her head. “Perhaps not in my office next time. However..." Her voice faded as she looked back at Andy. “I would not mind seeing them more around the house.” 

Andy nodded once. “Consider it done.” 

They gazed deeply at one another for a long substantial moment, right when Andy started to feel herself getting lost in the blue depth, Miranda’s soft features turned into a look of cold indifference as she glanced over Andy’s shoulder, then went so sit behind her desk. Slightly confused, Andy turned around to see Ian, the IT-tech she’d called from the cab on her way over, idling in the anteroom. 

“Alright, time to get to work,” Andy said, straightening her posture in resolution, and walked out of Miranda’s office. 

“Hey, Andy,” Ian greeted friendly. 

“Hi, Ian. So, what’s up? Were you able to fix Claire’s computer?” 

Ian shook his head. “I’m afraid that computer’s a goner. Tech’s on his way over with a new one. If you could just log into yours, I can just copy the files onto it when I’m setting it up.” 

“Sure,” Andy said. Taking off her coat, she sat behind her desk and waited for her computer to boot. “Here you go. I trust I can leave the rest up to you?” 

“Of course.” Ian nodded. 

“Great.” Andy stood back up. “Now, if you’ll excuse me. I have some unfortunate blunders to rectify.” 

*** 

After around two hours later, Andy walked back into Miranda’s office, placing a center-of-the-sun hot, no-foam skimmed latté with an extra shot, and a manila folder on the glass desk. With a huff, she sat down, slouching into one of the chairs across Miranda’s desk. 

Miranda lifted her head from the document she was reading and narrowed her eyes, lips slightly pursed at the younger woman’s audacity. 

“Sorry,” Andy mumbled shyly, belatedly realizing her boldness as she hastily righted herself into straighter posture.  

It was then that Andy noticed the slight twitch at the corner of Miranda’s lips, and upon closer inspection, as Andy narrowed her own eyes, she definitely saw the amusement glimmering in Miranda’s eyes. 

“Oh,” Andy breathed, then grinned. “My God, Miranda, even your pretend death-stare is scary.” 

Smirking, Miranda said, voice taking on a soft threatening tone, “What makes you think I was pretending anything, Andréa?” 

“Hm,” Andy hummed as she frowned slightly. “Well, I guess I’ll just-” Andy stood up then and was about to turn around to stand at her usual spot behind the chairs but, just as she predicted, she was halted by Miranda. 

“Oh, just sit down, Andréa.” 

Andy grinned winningly as she sat back down. “So, you were just pretending your look-of-doom, huh?” 

Miranda rolled her eyes seemingly in annoyance, however, the nearly imperceptible tilt at the corners of her lips gave away her amusement. “I would think that you knew me better by now, Andréa, or am I wrong?” 

Andy shook her head as she chuckled. “No, you’re not wrong. Just took me a little bit longer to read-, I mean, figure you out this time, but to be fair, you’re a true master at facial expressions, Miranda. I just had to really look into your eyes to realize you were playing me, and also, y’know.”  

Andy pointed her fingers at the corners of her own lips. “You seem to have a harder time controlling your smile than your eyes. I suppose that makes it a bit more difficult.” 

Miranda raised an eyebrow, then smirked as she asked curiously, “Difficult how?” 

Andy realized she’d just fallen into a trap of her own making as she flustered and stumbled over her words. “Well, it’s not like, y’know, I can just stare-, look, at your mouth when I-, I mean, instead of gaz-, looking into your eyes,” Andy said as she cursed the blush she felt blooming on her cheeks. 

Miranda softly chuckled in such a seemingly wicked way that it did a great deal of fluttering things to Andy’s insides.  

Andy cleared her throat then as she tried to steer the attention away from her flustered state. “Accounting, editorial, and legal will be sending you the notes on today’s meetings before the day is through. Claire’s computer’s all fixed, and I took the liberty to send off and reply to today’s emails, we should be back on track with everything now. I was able to track down the copies of the list of documents you’d sent me, they’re in that folder. The Tom Ford shoot is rescheduled and regulated to Monday.” 

Reaching up to rub her forehead due to the slight headache she was feeling, she diverted her hand to rub at the back of her neck at the last moment, thinking better of it while sitting in front of Miranda, even though the older woman was looking down at her desk again, scrutinizing a spread. “I’m afraid we’ll go over a bit above budget on that one.” Andy continued. “There wasn’t much I could do to govern on that front. Luckily, Claire took a cab on Runway’s expense when she was out to retrieve Posen’s samples, and fortunately, the driver was one of the good ones, he turned the bags in. After some, well, admittingly rather ungraceful pleading on my part, I was able to convince Emily to go get them because, y’know, didn’t want to leave that up to Claire again. And on that note, I contacted HR, they gave me several résumés to look through. I’ll go over them at home and give notice to HR about the ones I think have the most potential, they’ll contact the candidates tomorrow, and conduct the interviews on Friday.” 

With a contented smirk, Andy said, “So, you’re free to fire Claire before you begin your weekend, and on Monday, when I’m back, I’ll train her replacement.” She turned serious once more. “And I promise, I’ll do better this time, make sure the new second assistant is adequately reliable and competent. I suppose should apologize for that error. I might’ve been rather reluctant to relinquish most of my tasks because I-, well, I guess I liked doing them for you,” Andy admitted softly. 

After Andy was done talking, Miranda looked up from the spread she was scrutinizing, picked up her coffee cup, took a sip, and sat back in her seat with a satisfied sigh. “I had assumed that such was the case. There is no real reason for you to apologize, Andréa. I cannot deny that I rather liked you taking most of the reins since you never fail to exceed my expectations. And if you are ever to repeat what I am about to say, I will downright deny it. But, my God, Andréa, you have proven once again that I can always rely on you, you are positively heaven-sent.” 

Andy chuckled shyly in surprised delight, then leaned forward in her seat, resting her arms on the desk as she secretively hushed, “Careful what you say around the office, Miranda. Not that I mind you finally praising my efforts, not at all. But it won’t do to have people hear that you actually know how to be grateful, right?” 

“Hm,” Miranda hummed, amusement glimmering in her eyes as she glanced down at Andy’s chest. “Stand up,” she ordered. 

Andy blinked. “What?” 

Getting up herself, Miranda said, “I am not in the habit of repeating myself, Andréa.” Then walked around her desk. 

Andy complied and turned to face Miranda who was now standing in front of her. She let out a surprised gasp as Miranda’s hands reached up and started to undo the top buttons of her shirt. 

“Miranda?” Andy breathily squeaked, her heart skipping into overdrive as she felt her body heat up along with the blush that was creeping up from her chest to the tips of her ears. 

Smirking subtly, eyes transfixed on Andy’s chest, Miranda whispered, “You missed a button.” 

“Oh,” Andy rasped as she looked down to watch Miranda’s fingers start to slowly button up her shirt again. Even if her life depended on it, she couldn’t contain the intense shiver running up and down her spine as the tips of Miranda’s fingers brushed up against her breastbone. 

When Miranda reached the final button, both women glanced up, hazel eyes drowning in arctic-turned-ocean ones. The previous comfortable atmosphere was now laden, prickling Andy’s skin with a sizzling charged tension, raising the hairs at the back of Andy’s neck and arms to suspensive attention. The darkly-hued, enigmatic depth in Miranda’s gaze inflamed Andy’s spirit with tormented, yet riveting hunger. After smoothing her hands over Andy’s shoulders to straighten out her shirt, Miranda lowered her hands as she took a step back.  

Andy cleared her throat, but her voice came out still slightly hoarse. “Thanks, must’ve missed it in my haste to get to you-, Runway, I mean. Can’t believe no one pointed that out to me while I was running about.” Chuckling, she said, “Actually, I’m not really that surprised. I must’ve pissed off quite a lot of people by hounding them to get the job done.” Andy’s eyes widened in realization then. “Hey, wait, why didn’t you say anything?” 

Miranda smirked wickedly. “Even though slovenliness is something I would never stand for when it comes to fashion, I cannot deny that the look suits you rather befittingly.” 

Andy growled, then grumbled. “When I said that I liked you praising my efforts, that was not what I meant.” 

Miranda chuckled, her gaiety clearly glowing in her eyes, then her features softened as she asked, “I trust you did not overdo yourself? How are you feeling?” 

“I feel alright, honestly,” Andy said with a reassuring smile. “A lot better than the past couple of days.” 

Miranda nodded, then asked, “Are you hungry?” 

“Positively famished,” Andy answered as she clutched her stomach. 

Miranda smiled as she good-naturedly rolled her eyes. “Why am I not surprised? Let me finish up here.” Moving away to sit behind her desk again, Miranda said with a light-heartedness to her voice, “I will take you out to an early dinner, show you, and only you, how grateful I can truly be.” 

“Oh,” Andy blinked, feeling stunned. “I-, you don’t have to. I mean, don’t you have to go home to the girls?” 

“Cara is taking Caroline out for dinner before her dance practice, and Cassidy is at a friend’s house. Roy will be picking them both up, so they will not be home until later this evening,” Miranda clarified as she finished typing off something on her laptop. Then, she busied herself with clearing up her desk as she said, “And I am rather famished myself since that nitwit ruined my lunch.” 

Feeling ecstatic but also slightly nervous, Andy smiled as she asked, “Alright then, do you need me to call ahead and make a reservation somewhere?” 

Miranda shook her head, stood up with unrivaled grace once more, and rounded her desk. “No, that will not be necessary.” Passing the younger woman, she called out, “Come along now, Andréa.” 

Retrieving Miranda’s coat and bag from the closet in the anteroom, she took a gamble as she held out the coat in a silent gesture. Miranda raised an amused eyebrow, then delighted Andy by turning around and allowing the younger woman to assist in donning her coat. 

When they left the anteroom, Andy made sure to stay her usual two steps behind the older woman as they walked towards the elevator. As if summoned by magic, the elevator doors opened, ensuring Miranda’s exit to go uninterrupted. Once again, following their usual traditions, Andy stayed behind in the hall to wait for the next car. Miranda rolled her eyes, then gestured with her head for Andy to enter the elevator.  

Standing next to Miranda, arms nearly touching, Andy spotted Nigel coming around the corner. Right before the doors closed, his face portrayed his surprise at seeing the two women about to ride the elevator together. 

When they were a couple of floors down, Andy looked down at her clothes, then at Miranda with an unsure look on her face. “Maybe I should’ve made a pit stop at the Closet first. I’m not really dressed to dine at a restaurant, and I-, well,” She rubbed at the back of her neck. “I guess I don’t want to embarrass you?” 

Miranda shook her head. “Nonsense, Andréa. You should know by now that I do not care what people might think about me. Besides, your attire will not matter where we are going.” 

“Oh, alright,” Andy said, still feeling a little apprehensive. “Care to tell me where we’re going then?” 

With a small smile, Miranda said softly, “You will find out soon enough.” 

*** 

The ride to the restaurant had been in comfortable silence. When Andy got out of the town car, she was surprised to see that their destination wasn’t one of Miranda’s usual dining places, but seemed to be a rather ordinary Italian bistro. With a curious, yet pleased look on her face, Andy followed Miranda inside.  

The restaurant was definitely humble due to its small-scale, with only four modest tables on one side of the room, and three booths along the opposite wall. The interior and decorations were rather old-fashioned, which, in combination with the soft jazz music playing, gave the restaurant a charming antique vibe. Andy instantly fell in love with the place, but what she loved the most was the mouth-watering smell hanging in the air. 

A stout little man wearing a chef’s jacket appeared from what Andy presumed to be the kitchen, his senior face lighting up as he spotted the two women.   

“Miranda! Buona sera, mio bella signora. Oh, how good it is to see you again,” he greeted enthusiastically with a thick Italian accent. He approached Miranda with his arms wide open and Andy was surprised to see Miranda stepping, without hesitation and a genuine smile, into his embrace. 

“Dante,” Miranda greeted softly, kissing the man on both his cheeks, eerily similar as they do in all the mafia movies. Then, surprised Andy once more by wreaking havoc to her insides as she spoke in what seemed to be flawless Italian. “È bello vederti anche tu. È passato troppo tempo, non è vero?” 

Dante nodded as he held onto Miranda’s hands. “Sì, too long indeed. How are le tue dolci ragazze?” 

Smiling, Miranda said, “Stanno bene, grazie. They seem to grow up too fast for my liking.” 

“Sì,” Dante’s grin softened. “They always do.” His warm gaze focused on Andy then. “And who is this bella giovane donna you have brought with you?” 

Taking a step back to stand next to Andy, Miranda said as she placed her hand onto the small of Andy’s back. “This is my An-, my friend Andréa.” 

Before Andy could let Miranda’s introduction sink in, she squealed in surprise as Dante grabbed her by her upper arms and pulled her in to kiss her on both cheeks. “Andréa, such a beautiful name, fitting for such a beautiful woman.” 

Andy giggled. “Thank you, it’s nice to meet you. You have a wonderful restaurant, it smells amazing in here.” 

Dante’s smile grew impossibly brighter. “Grazie, amore. But wait until you have tried the food, we have the best pasta in the whole of New York. Wouldn’t you agree, Miranda?” 

Miranda chuckled as she nodded. “Most certainly.” 

“Va bene allora,” Dante said as he gestured them towards the corner booth. “Let me feed you piccola ladies. Onestamente, women these days have no meat on their bones.” 

“I am sure that would change if the food everywhere else was only half as good as yours, Dante,” Miranda kindly said as she sat down. 

“You flatter me, amore.” Dante grinned as he handed both women the menu. “Would you like your usual wine while you choose?” 

Looking at Andy, seemingly a bit worried, Miranda asked softly, “How is your head, Andréa?” 

Andy smiled tenderly at Miranda’s consideration. “I’m fine, honestly. A glass of wine will truly be no damage done, I promise.” 

Miranda gazed at her for a moment longer, then nodded slightly. “Alright then, do you enjoy red wine?” 

Andy grinned. “Love it.” 

Miranda nodded once more, seemingly pleased, then glanced up at Dante again. “Sì, sarebbe adorabile.” 

“Va bene, I shall be with you shortly,” he said grinning, eyes darting back and forth between the two women for a short moment, then disappeared into the back of the bistro. 

“I’m just taking a wild guess here,” Andy said, smirking. “But it seems like you’re rather familiar with this place.” 

“Hm,” Miranda hummed as she glanced around the room with a small smile lingering on her face. “I used to come here quite often when I was younger, and I have brought the girls here when they were little on several occasions too.” 

“But not so much anymore now?” Andy asked curiously. 

Miranda shook her head. “No, unfortunately. The girls seem to like to go out at the rather trendier places now that they are a bit older. I suppose such is the influence of only having friends whose parents are from the, well, upper class.” 

Inclining her head to the side, Andy asked, “Why don’t you dine here anymore then? You seem to like it here.” 

Miranda sighed as she sat back in her seat. “Well, I suppose I have not had the opportunity to do so lately, nor the time, really.” 

“How so? You dine out all the time,” Andy queried gently. 

“I do,” Miranda agreed softly, sounding slightly hollow. “However, it is always inevitably connected to my job.” 

“So, why not choose to eat here then?” 

“Because,” Miranda sighed once more. “I do not wish to corrupt the fond memories I have of this place with something work-related.” 

Feeling a bit apprehensive, yet curious Andy asked, “So, you bringing me here, uhm, you don’t see this as, well, as something work-related?” 

Miranda remained quiet for a moment, then a gentle, small smile graced her features as she shook her head. 

“I see.” Andy smiled tenderly as she expressed her heartfelt delight through her steady gaze with the older woman. “Well then, I’m honored that you chose to bring me here, Miranda.” 

Miranda was about to say something but was interrupted by Dante’s arrival holding a bottle of wine. 

Pouring the wine into their glasses, he politely asked, “Have you lovely ladies decided on your dish yet?” 

“Oh,” Andy blinked as she looked down at her still closed menu. “I-” 

“Would you mind if I made a suggestion for you, Andréa?” Miranda asked gently. 

Andy nodded. “Not at all, go right ahead.” 

“Are you allergic to anything?” Miranda asked, which Andy shook her head to. 

Looking back up, Miranda said, “I will have the Spaghetti alle Vongole, Dante, and the Bucatini all'Amatriciana for Andréa.” 

“Excellent choices, amore.” Dante grinned, then disappeared into the kitchen again. 

“So,” Andy drawled as she leaned forward on the table. “Where’d you learn how to speak Italian?” 

Miranda seemed to hesitate for a moment, seemingly feeling a little uneasy. Naturally, Andy noticed Miranda’s sudden discomfort, so, she sat back in her seat, not wanting to make the older woman uncomfortable by prying into Miranda’s personal history. Then, the apprehensive look on Miranda’s features faded away, as if she had made up her mind about something.  

“At one of my very first jobs,” Miranda admitted softly. “The woman that owned the shop was of Italian descent. She was a rather ferocious boss to work for, however, I have learned quite a lot from her.” She then added as an afterthought, “My God, looking back now, that seems like a lifetime ago.” 

Smirking playfully, Andy said, “A ferocious boss, huh? I happen to know someone matching such a description too.” 

Miranda rolled her eyes good-naturedly. “Oh, believe me, Andréa. Compared to Casimira, working for me is rather equivalent to a walk in the park.” 

Andy’s eyes widened. “Seriously? My God, I can’t even begin to imagine what that must’ve been like.” 

With a wicked glint in her eyes, Miranda said, “Let us just say that you struck gold on that front.” 

Chuckling, Andy shook her head, then held out her wine glass. “I’ll drink to that.”  

With another roll of her eyes, Miranda clinked her glass to Andy’s. 

“So, Casimira?” Andy said softly. 

“Hm?” Miranda hummed as she took a sip of her wine, then let out a satisfied sigh. 

Approaching the topic carefully, Andy asked, “Could that be in-, y’know, as in Cassidy?”  

Miranda’s eyes subtly widened, seemingly surprised at Andy’s deduction. Then, with a small smile, she nodded once. 

“How about Caroline? Was she named after someone you knew too?” Andy prompted further. 

Her small smile still lingering, Miranda nodded once more. 

“Are you going to tell me about it?” Andy asked curiously. 

Miranda’s eyes narrowed for a moment, running the knuckle of her index finger over her bottom lip, as if she were contemplating something. She leaned forward then, a glimmer of curiosity in her eyes. “You certainly seem to have quite a lot of questions today, Andréa. I do not think there has ever been a person before you that has dared to ask me so much.” 

Even though Andy had started to feel slightly nervous under Miranda’s observational gaze, Andy shrugged innocently. “I guess I’m just trying to make hay while the sun shines.” 

Inclining her head to the side, Miranda asked, “By rattling off a seemingly never-ending list of questions?” 

“Yeah,” Andy nodded. “Well, more like, by wanting to get to know you more.” 

Miranda’s eyes narrowed slightly again, her voice lightly tinted with disbelief. “Because you find me so interesting?”  

Smiling shyly, Andy shrugged her shoulders as she replied, voice barely above a whisper, “Sure do.” 

Eyes slightly conveying her surprise, Miranda chuckled quietly as she shook her head. “Well then, it is only fair if you offer something about yourself as well, Andréa.” 

With a faint blush tinting her cheeks, Andy grinned. “You may ask me anything, Miranda. I’m like an open book.” 

They silently gazed at one another for a moment, both women seemingly deep in thought as they considered something about each other, then Miranda asked, “Whatever happened to that cook-boy you were living with?” 

Andy choked on her wine, eliciting an amused chuckle from Miranda. “I’m sorry,” Andy rasped, then cleared her throat. “Took me a little by surprise there.” 

Miranda smirked. “I do have a reputation to uphold, Andréa, wouldn’t you agree?” 

“You mean about you being as unpredictable as ever?” Andy queried, to which Miranda nodded. 

Chuckling, Andy said, “I wouldn’t worry about that if I were you, you’ve certainly gone above and beyond in exceeding my expectations today. I think it’s a high probability for Emily to have a seizure if she’d ever see you dining out in a place such as this one.” 

Miranda let out a little snort. “Oh, please, I think Emily would have a seizure for far less than that. Honestly, that girl needs to learn how to take a moment to just sit and breathe for a change.” 

Andy laughed as she shook her head. “God, I’d love to see her reaction if you were to demand such a thing from her. She wouldn’t know what hit her.” 

“Hm,” Miranda hummed. “Perhaps I should. I do like to keep my staff on their toes.” 

“Oh, don’t I know it.” Andy grinned, then her smile softened. “But she seems to be doing a lot better these days, probably Serena’s doing.” 

Miranda rose a single questioning eyebrow. “Serena?” 

“Yeah,” Andy nodded as she smiled. “Ever since they got together, that sardonic stick that seemed to be stuck in Emily’s a-” She cleared her throat. “Y’know, hindquarters, well, I mean, let’s just say she’s been a lot more pleasant to work with.” 

“Emily and Serena,” Miranda muttered. “I had no idea.” 

Andy’s eyebrows shot up. “You didn’t? Huh, well, they’ve been rather discreet about it at work. So, I guess it hasn’t been that obvious now that I think about it.” 

Whilst stroking her thumb over the rings Miranda was wearing on that hand, she said, seemingly feigning an air of indifference. “What has been obvious is how Serena seems to be pining after you every chance she gets. I cannot imagine Emily being remotely okay with such behavior.” 

Andy shook her head, slightly startled. “Oh, no. Emily is very much aware about that. That’s just Serena for you. She likes to flirt, however, she has only honest and good intentions when she does it.” 

Tilting her head to the side, Miranda asked, voice tinged with incredulity. “How so?” 

Andy sat back in her seat as she explained, “Well, her intentions are merely friendly. She just wants to make girls feel better about themselves. She’d said so herself one time when I first started working at Runway, y’know, after my make-over. I’d asked her why she kept hitting on me, that’s when she explained that she wanted to help me to feel more confident in my appearance. She’s truly a great and loyal friend to have, and I have no doubt whatsoever that her devotion to Emily is as unwavering as can be. They’re perfect for each other. Sort of like yin and yang, if you ask me.” 

“Hm,” Miranda hummed softly. “So, you are not bothered by her, well, teasing displays then?” 

Andy shook her head. “No, not at all. I’d even say they sort of did the trick. Our friendship is entirely platonic, however, I can’t deny that Serena’s comments did help me in a way.” 

“Help you how?” Miranda asked, her face still giving nothing away as to what she was thinking. 

Tucking a stray lock of her hair back behind her ear, Andy said, “I guess, well, there’s no denying that Serena’s a beautiful and confident woman, so, to be on the receiving end of such attention, I suppose it did help me to feel better about myself while talking to her.” 

Fiddling with her hands, Andy continued. “Especially since, y’know, at Runway, I’m constantly surrounded by all these gorgeous, perfect-looking women, and most of them aren’t really, uhm, let’s just say they aren’t very-, approving, of women that look like me. So, it had been a bit of a struggle, those first months, for, well, my self-esteem. Serena sort of helped me through that.” 

Chuckling, Andy said, “So did Nigel, in a way, by helping me dress the part. He once said to me, ‘it isn’t always the clothes that make women more beautiful, it’s the woman wearing the clothes that make them perfect.” 

After taking another sip from her wine, Andy smiled. “Then, one day, as I got off the elevator and walked down the halls of Runway, it suddenly hit me. I realized I no longer cared about how some of the clackers were looking down at me. Because I was feeling good about myself. I loved the clothes I was wearing, but I felt great, strong even, in them, like they were made for me. And the fact that I was finally doing a pretty decent job, only served to boost my morale and integrity even more.” 

Leaning forward in her seat, arms resting on the table, Andy looked deeply into Miranda’s attentive eyes. “Therefore, I have a lot to be grateful for since I met you. I’ve grown so much as a person, I’ve learned so much as well, and you-,” Smiling shyly, Andy admitted, “This past year, even with our ups and downs, you’ve played such a fundamental role, such an integral part in my life, Miranda, and I just, well, you’ve got my eternal gratitude for that.” 

Sitting back in her seat, Andy picked up her wine glass, staring into the burgundy liquid, she chuckled lightly before adding softly, “Sorry, I’m rambling, but I guess, I just wanted you to know that.” 

After a silent moment, Andy looked up at Miranda again, an enamored warmth swirling in her belly, traveling up, engulfing her chest by the endearing look on Miranda’s face. 

After humming lightly, Miranda reached forward and gently laid her hand on top of Andy’s. “I am glad that you have come to see your worth, Andréa.” 

After a short pause, Miranda added softly, “As for me, it has been a wonderful thing to watch you grow into the beautiful woman you are today.” 

Blushing, Andy glanced down at their hands, feeling Miranda’s warmth travel up her arm, then slowly closed hers, gently holding onto Miranda’s fingers. When Andy looked up again, she felt utterly bewitched as her gaze locked with Miranda’s once more. 

Smiling affectionately, arctic eyes glimmering with ardor, Miranda admitted, “And you have no idea how thrilling it is to think about the prospect of your future career, Andréa. I have no doubt that you will only continue to flourish and thrive in this part of your life. If only one year has changed you so much for the better, then I cannot wait to see the woman you have become in several years from now.” 

Lightly squeezing Andy’s hand, Miranda said quietly, voice barely above a whisper, causing Andy to lean in, “You had once explained to me, rather eloquently, all the reasons why you admire me, you thought of me as a person to behold-” 

“Think,” Andy interjected gently. “I will always think that about you, Miranda.” 

With a faint blush coloring her cheeks, Miranda cleared her throat. “Well, be that as it may, I am, beyond any doubt certain that somewhere along the way that you will venture upon, the world will come to view you as such as well, Andréa.” 

Andy couldn’t have been more relieved that she was sitting down, for she was sure that the tremble running through her body would’ve weakened her knees into falling forward like a fool. Drowning in Miranda’s eyes and losing herself in her touch, Andy failed to notice Dante approaching them with their dishes. Miranda retracted her hand as Dante reached their table, and Andy instantly missed and longed for her touch again. 

“Here you go, ladies,” Dante said enthusiastically as he placed their plates in front of them. “I have put an extra sprinkle of l'ingrediente dell'amore on top of it. Buon appetito.” 

“Grazie, Dante,” Miranda said softly, eyes never leaving Andy’s. 

Feeling as if her emotions were coming undone by Miranda’s drowning gaze, Andy averted her eyes and smiled up at Dante. “Thank you, it looks and smells wonderful.” 

With a bright smile and a wink, Dante left the two women to themselves once more. After taking her first bite, Andy moaned loudly, then groaned. “My God, Miranda. This is amazing.” 

Miranda blinked subtly, then smirked as she jested, “You seem surprised? I am rather well-known for my sense of taste, after all.” 

Andy laughed. “You sure are. God, I wish I could cook like this.” 

“Hm,” Miranda hummed after taking a sip of her wine. “Speaking of cooks, you still haven’t answered my question, Andréa.” 

“Oh, you mean Nate?” Andy sighed. “There isn’t much to tell really. We had a falling out before Paris, and when I got back, he was gone. He moved to Boston for a job, took most of our stu-, things with him as he went. Haven’t heard from him since.” 

After a quiet moment, Miranda asked, voice barely above a whisper. “Do you still want to?” At Andy’s questioning look, Miranda elaborated. “Hear from him again, I mean.” 

Andy restrained the impulse to raise her eyebrows in questioning wonder, instead, she shook her head. “No, I have no interest in hearing, or seeing him again. That’s all in my past now.” 

After eating in silence for a moment, Miranda asked, sounding slightly apprehensive, “What was your altercation about?” 

Andy chewed her food slowly, feeling a bit unsure about answering that question. 

“It is just-,” Miranda clarified. “You seemed to be happy in your relationship with him, then, out of the blue, you stopped mentioning him around the office.” 

Andy inclined her head to the side, no longer able to hide her surprise at Miranda’s inquiries. “You noticed that?”  

Miranda raised an eyebrow. 

“Right,” Andy mumbled. “You notice everything at work.” Smirking, she added, “Well, except for Emily and Serena being a thing.” 

Miranda rolled her eyes. “As you said, they seemed to be handling their relationship rather discreetly.” Then, she narrowed her eyes slightly. “Are you trying to avoid the question again, Andréa?” 

Chuckling, Andy shook her head. “Yup, you do notice everything.” 

Miranda intently looked at her for a moment before she gently relented. “You do not have to answer that if you do not want to.” 

Looking down into her wine glass, Andy said, “No, it’s okay. It’s just been a while since I thought about it.” After taking a sip, she explained, “We’ve just been growing apart, ever since I started working for Runway. He didn’t like the job, and he didn’t like the fact that I was changing because of it, said he didn’t like the person I’d turned into beneath all those clothes and make-up.” 

Andy shrugged. “So, it’s safe to say that he wasn’t very supportive of my career as he continued to complain about me not having any time for him. In the end, it came down to him accusing me of no longer being able to identify the priorities that mattered because of whose calls I-” She stopped herself abruptly, eyes slightly widening. 

Before Andy had a chance to divert from that last statement, Miranda questioned, “Whose calls you, what?” 

Fiddling with her napkin, Andy mumbled, “Nothing, it doesn’t matter now anyway.” 

Miranda narrowed her eyes as she drawled, “Andréa. What did cook-boy accuse you of?” 

Andy sighed as she looked down at the table surface, then admitted in a whisper, “The calls I always take, that’s the relationship I’m in.” 

“And whose calls did you always take?” Miranda asked softly. 

Andy looked up from underneath her eyelashes and gazed deeply, yet unsure into Miranda’s eyes. 

After a short moment, Miranda’s eyes widened as she registered what Andy was silently conveying. “Oh,” Miranda breathed, then sat back in her seat. “I-, I’m, the reason you-, why you-” 

Andy frowned as she sat up straight, then said sternly, “No, Miranda.” She shook her head. “Don’t you even think that. You’re not the reason we broke up.”  

Placing her arms on the table, Andy leaned forward as she asserted, “Ending things with Nate was the right thing for me. It would’ve ended sooner or later, since I didn’t want to, I couldn’t even if I tried, change back into the naïve girl I was before I’d met you.” 

Andy reached out, gently holding on to Miranda’s forearm. Lowering her voice, Andy professed, “Apart from leaving you in Paris, there isn’t a single thing I regret since I’ve come to know you. I wouldn’t change a damn thing about the person I am now. I’m proud of who I’ve become because of you. And don’t you even dare to question, or ever forget that, Miranda.” 

A heavy and somewhat awkward silence enveloped them as they continued to eat their food, albeit in a very slow fashion. Andy’s nerves were wreaking havoc to her insides, berating herself for everything she admitted about herself to Miranda, thinking that she undoubtedly made the older woman uncomfortable with everything that she revealed about her thoughts and feelings. 

After Andy finished her dish, she’d inwardly talked herself down so much that she felt too unsettled to gaze back up again as she continued to avoid looking into Miranda’s eyes. 

After another excruciating moment, Miranda’s barely audible voice broke the silence between them.  

“Coralie.” 

Due to Andy’s confusion, she looked up at Miranda with a questioning look on her face. “What?” 

“You had asked me,” Miranda began softly. “If I had named Caroline after someone I knew too, as I did with Cassidy.” 

“Oh,” Andy breathed, feeling startled by the sudden change in direction after their conversation. “Yeah, I did.” 

“She was named after Coralie,” Miranda admitted gently, then looked down into her nearly empty wine glass. “After my grandmother.” 

“Oh,” Andy breathed once more, a tender smile creeping up her face. “That’s beautiful. She must’ve been very dear to you.” 

“Hm,” Miranda hummed, then finished her wine. “She was.” 

After another quiet moment, with Andy still feeling too nervous to ask any more questions, Miranda spoke up once more as she fiddled with her necklace. “They are still very dear to me, my grandmother and Casimira. I would not be here, be the person I am today, if they had played no part in raising me.” After a short pause, she added, “I looked up to them when I was still very young.” 

Lowering her hand that had been fiddling with her necklace, Miranda leaned slightly forward, gazing up to look into Andy’s attentive, yet gentle eyes, then stated softly, “Caroline and Cassidy look up to you.” 

Andy smiled at that, she opened her mouth to say something, but closed it again as Miranda held up a finger, indicating that she wasn’t done talking yet. “You said tonight, that you are grateful for having met me.” 

Andy nodded, expressing her sincerity at that statement through her eyes. 

“Well,” Miranda whispered, a small smile gracing her features as she admitted, “I am grateful they have come to know you.” After a short pause, she added, “And I am grateful for having met you as well.” 

“Thank you,” Andy breathed. “That means a great deal to me.” 

Smiling at each other, Andy reveled in the soothing warmth and pleasant tingles within their little bubble. As she watched Miranda glance down at her wristwatch, with reluctance, yet understanding, Andy realized that their intimate evening together was coming to a close. 

“The twins will be home soon?” Andy asked. 

Miranda nodded, then looked up, seemingly trying to read through hazel eyes as to what Andy was thinking. 

Smiling in understanding, Andy said, “Well, you mustn't keep them waiting. I’m sure they can’t wait to tell you all about the day they’ve had, and I’m sure they’d be delighted in hearing about yours as well.” 

“Hm,” Miranda hummed. “I am sure that will change soon enough. Once they are teenagers, they probably cannot wait to lock themselves into their rooms for the remainder of the evening.” 

Andy chuckled as she shook her head. “I wouldn’t be so sure about that. You’re lovely company to have, Miranda. I had a wonderful time this evening. Thank you for this.” Rubbing at the back of her neck, Andy mumbled shyly, “I-ah, I hope that we can, y’know, do this again sometime? Whenever you’ve got the time to do so, of course.” 

Miranda smiled tenderly. “I had a rather pleasant evening myself, Andréa. It has been a refreshing change from the usual working dinner. I would not mind obliging to your request if you were to ask me.” 

“Really?” Andy nearly squeaked in disbelief, then composed herself as she cleared her throat. “Well, that’s-, great, I mean, lovely, I-, I’d like that.” 

Miranda chuckled lightly. “Yes, so you have said.” 

*** 

They stood waiting outside the restaurant after Miranda had paid and they’d said their goodbyes to Dante. When the town car arrived at the curb, Andy stepped forward to open the door for Miranda. 

“Say goodnight to the twins for me,” Andy said gently. 

Miranda inclined her head to the side. “Are you not getting it? It is no problem to drop you off at your apartment, Andréa.” 

Andy shook her head. “Thank you for the offer, but I feel like walking for a bit. My apartment’s close by, actually.” 

“Are you sure?” Miranda asked as she attentively observed Andy’s face. 

Smiling, Andy took a step closer. Miranda’s eyes subtly widened at their sudden close proximity, but didn’t seem to mind it as she continued to gaze into Andy’s eyes. 

With her heart pounding vehemently inside her chest, tentatively, Andy leaned forward, her lips hovering in the air for a short moment, barely an inch away from Miranda’s skin.  

After a slight intake of breath, Miranda made no move to pull away. Andy closed the final distance, delivering a lingering kiss to Miranda’s surprisingly warm, and predictably soft cheek. 

Moving to Miranda’s ear, Andy whispered, “Goodnight, Miranda. I’ll hear you soon.” 

As Andy moved back, she delighted in the endearing flush coloring Miranda’s cheekbones, and the vibrancy glimmering in her artic-turned-ocean blues. 

Miranda’s hand came up, its warmth a desirable cherishment, traveling from where it laid on Andy’s cheek, all the way to every single nerve ending. Her thumb stroking a gentle caress, Miranda whispered back, “And I, you.” 

Their eyes held one another’s for an expressive and momentous moment longer, before Miranda gracefully slipped into the back of the car, disappearing from Andy’s vision as she softly closed the door for her.  

Andy watched until the town car moved around the corner before she began her track to her apartment. Feeling as if the stars, the planets, and every single cosmic power in the universe had aligned themselves, carrying her beyond the top of the world, beyond cloud nine and the seventh heaven, all the way over and beyond the moon. 

Notes:

Okay, so, I thoroughly enjoyed your answers to the questions I'd asked you last week.
Since they've made me feel a bit closer, I suppose, to you as my audience.
It's really nice to learn something, some little tidbits, about the people reading, and commenting on my story.
So, now I can't help it, but to feel a bit more curious about you darlings.
Therefore, I have another question for y'all.

Do you think of yourself as an Andy-type of person, or do you think you have more in common with Miranda, or perhaps even a little bit of both?

I used to identify more as a Miranda-type myself, since I'm quite the perfectionist, I prefer not to mingle with incompetent people, & (even though I'm a people person when I'm out and about) I find myself rolling my eyes quite a lot of times when I'm caught in a conversation, or when I'm surrounded by people who I find to be rather dim-witted. I'm a very open person, I can talk about anything and everything, however, I do have several walls set up around me. I don't trust easily, but I'd go above and beyond for someone dear to me. I enjoy dressing up, however, definitely not in a girly-type of way, & probably spend way too much time on my hair (even though it's really short) & sometimes indulge in the bit more pricy range when it comes to red wine.

Also, someone recently pointed out to me that I'm more of a real-life Andy. & Whilst talking to this certain someone, I've come to realize that I can't deny that silly little fact. That had certainly been a mind-boggling revelation, haha!
Not really though, since I do recognize myself a lot within the Andy-type. I love to lounge around in comfy clothes, or wear pajamas all day. I can also be very opinionated, which will lead me to be rather head-strong when discussing something.
I suppose I'm a little (okay, let's be honest here) I can be very silly and quirky. I can also be very strong-willed, & when I'm passionate about something, I tend to lose myself in it (but in a good way). & I love to read and write,... and eat. Definitely eat. Even though, as I said, that I don't trust easily, much like Andy, I wear my heart on my sleeve a lot. I'm very sensitive, but I'm also incredibly strong at heart, & also very proud of the person I am today.

So, are you Andrea, or Miranda? Or Mirandy, haha!