Actions

Work Header

Avoiding the inevitable

Chapter 17

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Two weeks had passed since the fateful car ride in the setting sun, and Andy found herself feeling exuberant and all over the moon. It felt as if she were looking through a looking-glass, where her relationship with Miranda couldn’t be more of a contrary contrast to the time when they had returned from Paris.    

The mercurial editor was still very much the same in her tyrannical management of the multi-million-dollar flagship that is Runway magazine. That is a testimony that not even any sign or form of a deity in speculative existence could change about Miranda’s foreseeable destiny. She was still mercilessly unrelenting in asking for the most impossible of inconceivable demands from her minions as well as being frighteningly menacing in her acrimonious demeanor.    

It was still very much expected of Andy to reach for the stars on the daily. The only difference now was that the venomously wicked, ruthless remarks were no longer directed at her, which left her accomplishing the unsurmountable, unattainable, and impossible with high-spirited, light-hearted reinvigorated energy.    

There was one other aspect that had changed in the dynamic between the two women. It was the main reason why Andy felt so utterly elated.  

Miranda had taken to complaining about everything and nothing whilst she was alone with her, effectively opening a door for them to communicate on a level they hadn’t been able to do until now. Even if they weren’t necessarily growing closer on a more personal level, since their conversations were strictly about work and the incompetence surrounding them, Andy couldn’t be more overjoyed and enchanted about the development.   

It was as if the path between one of the many walls surrounding Miranda had been illuminated, making her travels down the barrier-filled road just that little bit easier to navigate. She could still see countless obstacles and hurdles for her to overcome in the distance, but Andy was nothing if not resolutely determined to unwaveringly conquer Miranda’s defenses to achieve her purpose. To become someone fundamentally essential and meaningful in the life of the woman that is Miranda Priestly.   

Andy’s love for the silver-haired woman had only grown with earnest intensity in its already vigorous vitality. At times, especially during the moments where Miranda made a remark that wasn’t intended to be comical, Andy wondered how such an overwhelming, spine-tingling, heart-stopping feeling could exist. How she was one of the lucky ones to wander this earth to have been graced with such mind-shattering and soul-consuming sensations.   

However, she also felt brutally cursed at times to feel as strongly as she did. There were nightly moments where she only felt despair and heartache for loving someone who would more than likely never return her love. It felt like her passionate travels were overpowering her with hopeless endeavors because the one thing she ultimately desired to obtain was a heart that might never be hers, to begin with.   

During those melancholic late-night contemplations, the young woman would lie awake, staring up in the darkness of her bedroom at the crack in her ceiling, and mourn for the hopeless unattainability that would leave her inevitably crestfallen and utterly brokenhearted.    

It was when the sun was setting behind the horizon that the words she had spoken to Miranda, in their fateful car ride, would come to the forefront of her mind.   

‘The harsh truth is that the heavens might not be painted by nature’s treacherous hand. Won’t be colored with an enamoring array of passionate shades, or romantic hues to reinvigorate and enrapture your longing soul. It will only continue to solemnly dim and blacken somber shadows over our world until we’re completely concealed by darkness. Left to wallow in disenchanting disappointment.’   

Andy hadn’t realized it at the time but now recognized in hindsight that her description of a disenchanting disappointed sunset was the spitting image of her nightly wallowing soul.   

Her heavens might not be painted by the universe’s sympathetic hand. Her life won’t be colored, won’t be fulfilled with an enamoring array of passionate feelings, or romantic emotions to reinvigorate and enrapture her love-longing soul. Her spirits might only continue to solemnly dim and blacken as somber shadows would cast over her world until she’s completely concealed by heartbreaking darkness.   

Fortunately, the days did not only consist of despairing sunsets because when the inevitable rising of the sun would awaken her the following morning, the prospect of her soul interacting once more with the woman she desired overpowered her grief-stricken, heavy heart.   

It was waking up to a new day filled with the visions, the scent, the sounds, and sometimes even the touch of Miranda that breathed new life into her, replenishing and reviving her spirits to continue to be the person, in any type of transfiguration, Miranda needed her to be.   

And today was that fateful day where Miranda needed Andy to be something more than just an exceptional assistant.   

***   

“Andréa.”   

Andy rolled her eyes at herself as she, for the thousandth time, felt the butterflies in her stomach flutter every single time Miranda would call out her name in that delightful accent that only she used. Upon walking into the inner office, Andy was slightly surprised to see Miranda already watching her. Most of the time, Miranda wouldn’t even look up from her work as she demanded something from her, or would only look up at the very end of delivering an endless list of tasks and errands.   

The butterflies in Andy’s stomach seemed to travel up her tingling spine as Miranda continued to scrutinize her with her elbows elegantly poised on the glass desk, fingers interlaced, her chin resting gracefully on top of her hands, and the look on her face thoughtful, but as unreadable as ever.   

Feeling the butterflies travel down her legs, after what felt like an eternity under Miranda’s single-minded, contemplative attention, Andy spoke up before she went fully weak at the knees, and inevitably making a fool out of herself for falling over for seemingly no reason whatsoever.    

“Miranda? Is there something I can do for you?” Andy queried innocently.   

“Hm.” Miranda hummed softly.    

After another long minute of contemplative scrutinization, Miranda lowered one arm onto the armrest of her desk chair while the other remained in place, the knuckle of her index finger running slowly over her bottom lip. It took all the strength Andy had to not fall over there and then as the butterflies were wreaking havoc in her knees, making them tremble in nervous excitement.   

After what seemed like an eternity, Miranda said softly. “I seem to have found myself in quite the predicament.”    

Andy questioned, already determined to fix whatever the problem was for the older woman. “Oh? Is everything alright? What can I do to help?”    

Suddenly, Andy felt as if she’d been transported to the twilight zone as the editor did something she had never done before, Miranda explained herself.   

“You see, Cara, the twins’ sitter just called. She has gotten herself into a little accident, meaning she will not be able to retrieve and watch the girls after school. She was supposed to stay with them this evening as well since I have to attend Donatella’s soiree tonight. The girls’ father cannot watch them either since he’s in Chicago on a business trip.” Miranda fell silent, seemingly uncertain on how to proceed.   

Ready to establish a solution, Andy suggested. “Should I call a nanny service and see if they have someone available this evening? Or would you rather have me call one of the girls’ friends' parents and ask if they can stay over tonight?”  

Miranda shook her head. “No. I am not comfortable with leaving the girls in the hands of a stranger. And I do not allow them to have a sleepover during a school night yet.”   

“Alright.” Andy inclined her head to the side. “What do you need me to do then?”   

“Well, I was wondering.” Miranda paused for a moment as she sat back in her seat. “Would you mind watching my girls for me tonight? Until I am back from Donatella’s?”   

Andy blinked, no longer feeling as if she were simply in the twilight zone but rather in an entirely different universal dimension on another planet altogether since Miranda wasn’t demanding her, but was asking her, another thing she never did. “You-, you’re-. You’re asking me?”   

Miranda blinked as well. “I-, well-, yes. I suppose I am. Since this is rather something of a more personal nature.” She paused for a moment, an uncertain look fleetingly crossing over her face. “You may decline, of course. Since this is not something that is listed in your job description.”   

Andy flashed her mega-watt smile. “Oh, no. I don’t mind. At all. In fact, I’m thrilled, honored that you thought of asking me. I adore the twins and I love spending time with them. So, yes, of course. I’d love to watch them for you, Miranda.”   

Miranda sighed, seemingly letting out a breath she’d been holding. “Good.” She nodded as she visibly relaxed. “They speak rather highly of you. I am sure they will be thrilled as well. Just promise me that my kitchen, or any other room for that matter, will not end up in a cluster of sticky chaos this time.”   

Andy chuckled, rubbing at the back of her neck as she joked. “I’m not sure if I can make such a promise. They are quite a pair of unpredictable turbulent terrors, after all.” She giggled and winked. “I wonder who they got that from?”   

Miranda rolled her eyes, her voice feigning bored ignorance. “I am sure I have no idea as to who you might be referring to.”   

Andy laughed as she said. “Yeah, that is quite the conundrum, isn’t it? Anyway, I guess I should be heading out then if I want to get to Dalton on time. What do you want me to arrange for the Book? Do you want it electronically delivered or should I make Avery do it?”   

“Oh, it that Emily’s name?” Miranda asked, disinterest dripping from her tone, then shook her head. “No. Leave the Book tonight. I do not know as to what time I shall return after the soiree. However, I shall be home around six to prepare and leave shortly after. I trust my house will not be burned to the ground by then.” She raised a threatening eyebrow, but could not contain the slight twitch at the corner of her lips as she stared Andy down.   

Andy chuckled mischievously. “Told you I’m making no such promises.” Then promptly turned on her heels and  sashayed  out of the office. Glancing back over her shoulder, she laughed. “They’re your kids after all!”   

Miranda continued to gaze at her retreating assistant until she was entirely out of her sight. She rolled her eyes at the newly discovered audacity of the younger woman. However, she could not stop an amusing smile forming on her lips.   

***   

“Andy? Andyy!!!” The twins screeched and torpedoed into a run when they saw the brunette standing at the gates in front of their school.   

Andy laughed as she gave them a small wave. “Hiya, kiddo-umpff”   

The twins had launched themselves at Andy, enveloping her in a bone-crushing hug as she caught her balance just in time before they all would’ve landed rather ungracefully on their bums. The girls started chattering loudly over each other, so excitingly fast that Andy couldn’t make out what they were saying.   

“Girls, girls. Calm down.” Andy laughed as she laid her hands on top of their heads. “One at a time. Or,  y’know , at the same time but saying the exact same thing  you  terrors do in that creepy twin way of yours.”   

“What are you doing here?!” The twins chorused gleefully, causing Andy to laugh again.   

“Well, Cara had a little accident, meaning she couldn’t take care of you today. So, your mother asked me if I wanted to watch over you until she’s back tonight.”   

“She did?!” Cassidy asked, her own mega-watt smile beaming on her face.   

“Mom  asked  you?!” Caroline asked with a look of disbelief on her face.   

“Yup, she sure did.” Andy grinned. “Believe me, I was rather surprised myself that she thought of me to take care of you. I honestly thought for a moment that your mother had been kidnapped and I was talking to her doppelganger when she  asked  me, rather nicely I might add if I wanted to do this for her.”   

“Does this mean we can have pizza for dinner?!” Caroline squealed with a look of earnest excitement as she bounced up and down while clutching Andy’s hand in hers.   

Andy looked down at a still very beaming Cassidy. “You up for pizza, kiddo?”   

Cassidy nearly squealed as well as she frantically nodded her head. “Yes! Definitely! Mom rarely lets us eat any junk food. She said it’ll turn you into a resemblance of Jabba the Hutt in no time.”   

Andy’s eyes widened in disbelief, then she bellowed out in boisterous laughter as she held on to her stomach.   

“What? What’s so funny?” Caroline queried as she looked at her as if she’d lost her mind.   

“I just-, I can’t-” Andy chuckled out the last of her laughter as she wiped the tears away at the corner of her eyes. “God! I just can’t believe your mother made a Star Wars reference. I never would’ve guessed, not even in a million years that she’d know who Jabba is.””   

“Yeah!” Cassidy giggled. “We made her watch them with us. She’s a fan. Even if she’ll deny it as if her life depended on it.”   

“I give you one chance to figure out Mom’s favorite character,” Caroline grinned wickedly.   

Andy shook her head. “Let’s see, does he come in head-to-toe black with a helmet that makes his breath sound as if he was scuba diving?”   

“Yeah!”  
“Yes!” The twins chorused as they all laughed.  

***   

After a light snack upon their return to the townhouse, Andy had helped the twins to finish their homework and were now playing a game of Dance Dance Revolution before dinner in the twins’ playroom, which was quite frankly about the size of her apartment.   

Andy absolutely adored to spent time with the girls. They were incredibly, almost scarily smart for their young age, not to mention ridiculously funny since Andy had to often clutch at her stomach and wipe away several tears, nearly making her topple over because she had to laugh so hard. She delighted in their personalities as well. They were so very different from each other, it was as if they were literally polar opposites, and yet they complimented the other so beautifully that it seemed like they were a sister version of soulmates.    

But what Andy loved about them the most was how much alike their mother they were. Each twin held a variety of different traits that were similar to Miranda.   

Cassidy had an extraordinarily brilliant mind. She was so quick on the uptake with everything that it completely blew away Andy’s mind on multiple occasions. She also, without a doubt, got Miranda’s artistic gene. The girl’s drawings were phenomenal and the eye for detail she possessed was out of this world. Her cool and collective nature was definitely something she’d learned from her mother’s behavior. Always thinking with a rational mind, outweighing the pros and cons of every situation.    

The girl was also very sensitive and emotional, something Andy sensed about Miranda that she hid behind her walls and business persona. It was something the editor had learned to control about herself in a meticulous manner. Cassidy was still very much too young to learn how to control her thoughts and feelings, as she carried her delicate heart on her sleeve. Her face always so open and unrestrained that you could easily read her like an open book.   

Caroline on the other hand definitely carried on Miranda’s temper. Even if Miranda didn’t react in an overly expressive way when she was frustrated or angry, it was obvious that her irritation was easily provoked. Caroline was like a mini-Miranda that did lash out in furious exasperation and fiery outrage. Her unpredictable nature often had Andy’s mind swirling in a crisscross of directions. Her quick-wit was undoubtedly another gene from her mother. The girl was so clever and snarky in her comments that it left Andy amazed and maybe even a little bit unsettled about how scintillatingly witty the girl would become when she was all grown up. Caroline might not have as much of an artistic side but she was intensely passionate about a variety of things, mainly all things physical as she loved to play soccer and enjoyed dancing.    

However, what truly had Andy swooning with love and affection were the expressive telling traits they shared with their mother. The raising of an immaculate eyebrow when they queried, the small sniff when they found something amusing but didn’t want to let it on, the way they would raise their chin in challenge, the narrowing of their eyes in scrutiny, or when they inclined their heads to the side in thoughtfulness.    

The entire combination of all three Priestly women in her life left Andy with a bursting heart, overflowing with the love she held for all of them, and she could only hope and pray that she would get the privilege of seeing the twins grow into beautiful mature women as they made their own way into the big wide world.    

“C’mon, Andy! You almost got her!” Cassidy cheered on from where she was sitting on the couch behind Andy and her sister as they were nearing the end of their dance-off.   

“Supporting for the wrong team, Cass!” Caroline jeered breathlessly as she stepped, bounced, twirled, and hopped as if her life depended on it.   

Andy flawlessly executed each move as she panted, heart thrumming intensively as sweat dripped from her forehead and temples, over her cheeks, droplets falling from her chin, landing on her chest, sliding down even further, and disappearing between the valley of her bouncing breasts.   

As the song was coming to an end, Andy twirled out a dance move but failed a step as her eyes caught a glimpse of silver at the doorway. Stumbling over her own foot, Andy lost her balance and within the blink of an eye, landed with a heavy thud on her backside.   

“Ouch! Darn it.” Andy grumbled as she rubbed her left butt cheek.  

“I won!” Caroline squealed loudly as she jumped up and down. Turning to look down at the woman on the floor, she pointed her finger as she laughed. “Got yah! Told you I’d beat yah, Andy! I knew your clumsy feet would be no match for me.” She raised her hands above her head as she laughed evilly, very much like a villain in superhero movies.   

“No fair!” Andy complained. “I got distracted.”    

She turned her head then to look towards the doorway. She felt her already thundering heart skipping several beats as she saw Miranda leaning against the doorframe, arms crossed over her chest, a wicked but amused grin gracing her features, and her enchanting arctic blues glistering with unguarded mirth. If Andy lungs weren’t in desperate need of oxygen, her breath would have been most definitely caught in her throat as she gazed at the stunning silver-haired woman.   

“Honestly, Andréa.” Miranda chuckled, the sound sending a delightful shiver up Andy’s spine. “Why am I not at all surprised that you are as much of a floundering klutz without heels as you are in them.”   

Andy rolled her eyes lightheartedly. “Why don’t you come up here then and try to beat me if you can? We’ll see who will have the last laugh then, Miranda.” She taunted, an audacious challenge beaming from her eyes.   

Nooo !!” The twins horrifying screech made her wince at the harsh sound.   

“Don’t challenge her, Andy! Not if you know what’s good for you. You won’t stand a chance!” Cassidy declared with terror, an earnest worried look on her face.   

Caroline chimed in, utterly terror-stricken as she flailed her arms out dramatically. “She’ll mop the floor with you, Andy! You’ll be left in the dust. She’ll beat you to a pulp! You’ll be squashed, crushed, and completely demolished! You’ll be absolutely annihilated!”   

Andy threw her head back in uproarious laughter. She shook her head in joyous disbelief with a face-splitting grin on her face as her eyes watched Miranda stalking towards her, eerily similar to a feline predator, with an evil smirk and a diabolical look gleaming in her eyes.   

“My God, Miranda. Seriously, you’re as unpredictable as they come. I can’t even begin to imagine what it would feel like to lose against you in a dance-off.” Andy chuckled as she looked up from her seated position on the floor at Miranda, who now stood towering above her.   

“Hm.” Miranda hummed, diabolical look still firmly in place. “And lose you most certainly will, Andréa.” She nearly growled as she held out her hand for the brunette.   

Andy slid her hand into the warm and softest hand she’d ever felt, feeling a delectable tingle run up her arm and down her spine. She let herself be pulled up with surprising strength and couldn’t hide her gasp as she found herself standing almost chest to chest to the older woman, their hands still firmly clutched together.   

It was entirely futile to fight against the burning blush heating up her chest and cheeks as Miranda said, more likely purred. “Surely, you must know by now, Andréa, that I dominantly excel in everything that I do.”   

A scorching heat discharged from Andy’s lower belly, traveling a blazing path through her veins to every single nerve ending within her body. She watched in ardent rapture as Miranda’s arctic-turned-opal intense gaze traveled to one of her temples, following a droplet of sweat down to her chin, and lower still as it fell onto Andy’s still heaving chest, watching it disappear out of sight between her breasts, the tops of which were slightly revealed by her low-cut blouse.   

Opal-turned-ocean blazing blues snapped up to capture and pierce glazed-over hazel ones, nearly blackened out by Andy’s dilated pupils.   

“Mom! Guess what?! We’re having pizza for dinner!” Caroline’s joyful squeal penetrated and ruptured the intimate bubble the two women had found themselves in.    

Both women took an immediate step away from each other as they drew back their hands that had still been clutched together, as if their touch had suddenly burned their skin.   

With Miranda’s otherworldly skill in regaining her composure, she turned her head to look at her daughters who were sitting on the couch next to each other, crossed legs, feigning innocence but couldn’t hide their slightly wider, gleeful eyes.   

“Is that so?” Miranda queried perilously. She turned to face Andy once more who seemed to have regained her innocent and professional composure again, but her cheeks were still a darker shade of pink. “Tell me, Andréa,” Miranda said threateningly as she crossed her arms over her chest, a look of feigned displeasure on her face as she narrowed her eyes and raised her chin slightly. “Are you trying to abrogate my children by feeding them a poisonous amount of carbs into their delicate little bellies?”  

Andy shook her head and smirked wickedly. “Would you rather have us go another round in your kitchen, Miranda? You know as well as I do how wonderful that turned out last time.”   

The twins giggled as Miranda rolled her eyes, then sniffed. “Do not even dare and cook in this house, Andréa. Not unless you suddenly want to find yourself six feet under in my backyard.”   

Andy chuckled. “That’s what I thought.”   

Miranda nodded curtly, then faced her daughters. “Very well. Pizza just this once, girls. Do not get used to it. Now, I have to go and get dressed to meet with your auntie ‘Tella. I will come back to say goodbye before I leave.”   

“Okay, Mom.” The twins chorused.   

Miranda turned her head to peruse Andy from top to bottom once more. “Come with me for a moment, Andréa.”   

Andy felt her heart skip a beat as she nodded. “Yes, Miranda.” And proceeded to follow her out of the playroom.   

Andy had to fight with an almighty effort to not let her gaze rest upon the enticingly swaying hips and derriere of Miranda as she followed her up a flight of stairs. She continued to follow her down a hallway she hadn’t seen before and into a dark room. When the light flicked on, Andy’s eyes widened immeasurably, nearly falling out of their sockets as she realized she was standing in Miranda’s bedroom.   

The room was enormous and exuded a divine, decadent luxuriance as if she were standing in the bedroom of a queen in the most magnificent palace on earth. It was mainly colored in light shades of beige and grey, accentuated with beautiful blue and golden details. The rich wooden furniture went along gorgeously with the dark wooden floor. Her hands twitched to run them over the huge, dark royal blue carpet encircling underneath the bed since it looked like it was made out of the softest, cloud-like fabric in existence. But it was the bed, oh, the bed. It was the biggest, most inviting, four-poster bed she’d ever laid eyes on. Against the headrest were a variety of impeccably placed pillows in different shades of gold and grey. Andy was adamantly certain that the golden sheets with silver embroidery, shimmering exquisitely in the soft light, were made out of the highest thread count ever to be made. The imperiality of it all seemed to call out to her, beckoning her to lie down on it and have a taste of its wanton provocativeness.   

“These should fit you just fine.” Miranda’s voice snapped Andy out of her awestruck reverie.    

Andy turned her head towards Miranda who was coming out of another doorway to the far side of the bedroom, which must’ve led to the closet if the bundle of clothes she was holding was any indication.   

Miranda walked over and held out the clothes to Andy, who had a questioning look on her face as she reached out to take them.   

“These were from the days when I was pregnant with the girls but I have never worn them. They will be entirely more comfortable for you to wear if you will continue to exercise in activities that have you transpiring the way you did.” Miranda rolled her eyes good-naturedly. “Honestly, Andréa. That McQueen blouse you are wearing was most definitely not designed for the purpose of dancing and most certainly will I not allow it to have pizza stains on it.”   

“Right.” Andy chuckled as she nodded once. “Thank you, Miranda. I’ll let you prepare for the soiree tonight.” She turned around but paused before crossing the threshold onto the hallway. She looked back over her shoulder to see Miranda still watching her. Andy raised a playful eyebrow as she giggled and queried. “Auntie ‘Tella, Miranda? Really?”   

Miranda rolled her eyes as she placed her hands on her hips but couldn’t hide the amused smile. “Do not remind me of how ridiculous that sounds. Donatella had insisted the twins call her that.” She shook her head. “I have no clue as to what she was thinking when she said that.”   

Andy chuckled, a wicked glint in her eyes. “So, what does Allegra call you? Auntie ‘ Randa ?”   

Miranda looked positively, horror-strikingly aghast, then pointed towards the door. “Leave right this instant and do not even dare to let me hear such an appalling, foul-mouth ever again.”   

"Yes, Miranda." Andy laughed in delight as she left the bedroom.   

***   

“Alright, I’m off now, girls,” Miranda said as she walked into the kitchen where the trio had just begun digging into their pizzas.  

“Okay, Mom.” The twins chorused, their attention solely focused on devouring their dinner.   

Andy’s mouth hung slightly open, nearly drooling, with her pizza slice that had been on its way towards her mouth hovering mid-air. She was utterly stunned into marveling-turned-arousing paralysis as her hungry roaming eyes drank up the exquisitely stunning-turned-salacious vision of the silver-haired woman.   

Miranda wore a delectable, form-fitting, champagne-colored cocktail dress that ended just above the knees of flawlessly pristine alabaster legs, feet clad in striking strappy black four-inch heels. The neckline of the dress plunged sexually sinful to reveal a delicious set of slopes, pressed together to create a mouth-watering sight of a seductive valley.   

“Dear God, have mercy on me,” Andy whispered breathlessly, unfortunately, loud enough for Miranda to hear.  

Miranda raised an inquisitive eyebrow, a smug smile forming on her lips as she observed Andy’s unguarded look for a long moment. She turned her head towards her pizza-ravaging daughters, her eyes looking up towards the heavens as she shook her head.   

“Girls. I will see you in the morning. I expect you in bed no later than nine.” She turned her authoritative gaze towards Andy. “Or there will be consequences.”   

Andy gulped loudly as she nodded, not daring to speak in fear of her voice coming out in a rather ungraceful and embarrassing squeak.   

“Okay, Mom.” The twins chorused, their mouths filled to the brim.   

Miranda scrunched up her nose at the sight. She let out a sigh and a tender, affectionate smile graced her features, she walked over as she said. “Enjoy the rest of your evening and be good to Andréa.” Bending down to deliver a kiss to each of the girls’ heads, she whispered adoringly. “Goodnight, my Bobbseys. I love you.”   

The loving words uttered from Miranda’s lips pulled at Andy’s heartstrings.   

“Goodnight, Mom. I love you too.” The twins chorused yet again, this time, their mouths empty, and smiled lovingly up at their mother.   

The editor gazed up towards the assistant once more. “I will see you later tonight, Andréa.”   

Andy nodded, still completely awe-struck with love and desire as she rasped out. “Enjoy your evening, Miranda.”   

***   

After Andy had put the exhausted twins to bed after an evening filled with games and joyous laughter, she’d found her way into Miranda’s study. Perusing the wall-to-wall and floor-to-ceiling bookcase of her dreams, she picked out a novel she hadn’t had the chance to read yet. Switching on the gas fireplace, she laid down onto the most ridiculously comfortable couch in existence in front of it, and settled in to read whilst waiting for Miranda’s return home.   

***   

Andy stirred slightly as she felt something brush against her chin. She slowly blinked open her eyes and glanced down, noticing the blanket covering up her body that hadn’t been there before. Looking to her side, she saw the beautiful enthralling vision of Miranda Priestly, still in her champagne-colored cocktail dress but with her feet bare of heels, standing in front of the fireplace that now exuded the only warm, shadow-dancing, flickering light in the dark room.    

Tired hazel eyes gazed at the older woman, her stomach fluttered as she felt her heart beating in her chest, feeling an overwhelming sensation consume her. Andy absolutely couldn’t comprehend how fiercely she had fallen in love with Miranda. Try as she might, she simply couldn’t even begin to describe, or even understand, the emotion that now possessed her entire being. Her heart yearned painfully to reach out and show Miranda just how profoundly passionate she felt about her. If she allowed herself, she could cry because of the unattainable longing she felt, desiring nothing more from life than the woman standing just a few feet away from her, so close within her reach and yet so far away as if she was literally reaching for the stars.   

Miranda glanced over her shoulder seemingly sensing the brunette’s gaze on her as mystifying arctic blues captured love-struck hazel ones. The women continued to stare at each other for a long moment, with Andy trying to recover her sensible thoughts and Miranda being as unreadable as ever before.   

“I did not mean to wake you,” Miranda whispered in a  gentle voice.   

Andy smiled a tender smile. “That’s alright.” She sat up and held a hand over her mouth as she yawned. “I should be going anyway. Now that you’re home.” She said as she stood up from the couch.   

Miranda frowned. “No.” She said as she shook her head.   

Andy inclined her head to the side as she questioned. “No?”   

“No,” Miranda confirmed more sternly this time as she turned to fully face the younger woman. “I am not letting you go across the city at this time of night.”  

Andy looked up at the antique clock hanging on the wall above the fireplace to see it was well past midnight. “Oh.” She breathed, then shook her head. “It’s alright, Miranda. I don’t mind. I’ll just take a cab back home.”   

“No,” Miranda said once more as she walked over until she stood right in front of her. “You are welcome to stay in the guestroom on the first floor. It is down the hall.”  

Andy shook her head, ready to decline again for not wanting to intrude in the editor’s house any further than she’d already done. “Really, Miranda. It’s okay. It’s not-”   

“Andréa.” Miranda interrupted, a small hint of a plea lacing her soft voice. Arctic-turned-opal eyes intensely pierced Andy’s uncertain ones. Then, the light plea Andy thought she’d heard in Miranda’s tone was actually voiced in a whisper. “Please. Stay.”   

Andy felt as if an invisible force was squeezing her heart almost painfully at Miranda’s soft request. She smiled tenderly again, knowing she could never deny the woman she loved as she nodded once and whispered. “Alright.”    

The small earnest smile forming on Miranda’s lips and the unguarded gentleness in her opal eyes left Andy utterly breathless, then, in an instant, felt suddenly confused as Miranda glanced down, an uncertain look crossing over her face.   

“Miranda?” Andy queried softly as she bowed her head slightly to try and capture Miranda’s eyes again, then whispered. “Is everything alright?”   

Miranda looked up again, her eyes focused so deeply into Andy’s, it was as if she were trying to read what was inside the younger woman’s soul.   

After a heavily tensioned, blood rushing, and heart thrumming moment of silence, the intensity in Miranda’s gaze slowly diminished. “I-, I realized-, Andréa.” She shook her head slightly as she graced the brunette with an affectionate smile, making Andy  weak  in the knees. “I realized I had not thanked you yet, for taking care of my girls tonight.”   

Andy flashed her mega-watt smile, eyes blazing with loving fondness. “No thanks necessary, Miranda.” She breathed. “It has been my absolute delight and utmost pleasure to do so.”   

Miranda shook her head once more as she took a step forward until she was merely a hair’s  breadth  away and raised her hand to hold Andy’s chin between her thumb and index finger, making Andy tremble and breathless all over again.    

“Nevertheless,” Miranda whispered.  

Andy’s knees trembled as she felt Miranda’s breath ghost over her slightly parted lips. Miranda leaned in as she gently laid her soft lips onto Andy’s blushing cheek in a warm, lingering kiss.   

“Thank you.” The hot, whispered breath caressed Andy’s already heated skin once more in delectable delight.   

Before Andy could regain even the slightest amount of her equilibrium, Miranda had dropped her hand and walked past her. Leaving behind an almost fainting, entirely and deliciously love-induced, dazing brunette as her fingertips rested on the still burning spot where the silver-haired woman had touched her skin with those otherworldly, breath-stealing, heart-stopping lips.  

Notes:

Ooh, our lovely Ice Queen seems to be melting, don't you think?

What d'ya think of our inevitable couple's interactions?