Actions

Work Header

Avoiding the inevitable

Chapter 12

Notes:

Please, don't hate me for this!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

It was the Wednesday after the benefit and the atmosphere around the two women since Monday had been brimming with an uncomfortable awkward tension. It was utterly strange to notice how Miranda seemed to avoid looking into Andy’s eyes or couldn’t seem to stand her presence for more than a couple of seconds. Demands were being curtly delivered, instantaneously followed by the long-established terse dismissal. Not even a single scathing remark had been thrown her way yet and it was making Andy feel remarkably anxious, heading straight for certifiably deranged as if she were suddenly living in the twilight zone. Andy couldn’t for the life of her figure out what could possibly be making the supposedly fearsome and fearless editor behave this way. Was it something Andy had said, or done, at the night of the benefit?   

That whole night had been a rather strange ordeal. They had barely talked, which wasn’t something out of the ordinary. They never talked at one of these events, or even at Runway, if it wasn’t something work-related. So, then what? What was making Miranda behave in such a bizarre way?  

The Dragon Lady was still very much alive and well in all her magnificently splendid, spine-chilling, horrifyingly bloodcurdling glory when it came to breathing down fire on the rest of her minions. And yet, Andy was being treated and repelled as if she were an incubus of viral plague.   

Nigel’s words suddenly kept hitting her at the forefront of her mind.   

‘Surely you must know that people don’t affect Miranda, right? Incompetence, failures, annoyances, fatuousness, and so on, affect her mood for sure, but not the people themselves committing those atrocities. Miranda couldn’t give a rat’s  arse  about other people.’   

‘People don’t affect Miranda, and yet, you do.’   

‘What I’m saying is that she’s been so hostile towards you  because  you affect her. For some reason, you’ve wiggled your way under her skin, and she can’t seem to shake you off, and somehow it seems like she doesn’t want to. Otherwise, she would’ve fired you in Paris. Otherwise, you wouldn’t still be here.’   

Andy still had trouble believing what Nigel had said that day. But she would be a blind fool now if she didn’t acknowledge that yes, Miranda seemed to behave entirely differently around her. For some unfathomable reason, Andy affected Miranda, and she needed to know why so she could fix this. This extraordinarily strange behavior would simply not do, it didn’t feel right. Andy never would have thought she’d say this, but she started to miss the cruel way Miranda had been treating her, if only for the chance to hear and look at the silver-haired woman for longer than five seconds. This wasn’t the Miranda Priestly she knew, and Andy would be damned if she didn’t try anything within her power to get her back.   

Fortunately, they were scheduled to attend a showing of a designer today, and the car ride would take them all the way across town. Plenty of time for Andy to figure out what’s been going on with Miranda. That is, if she could find the courage to actually talk to the older woman.   

This time, it was Cassidy’s words that kept hitting her at the forefront of her mind.   

‘Maybe you can try and start talking to Mom whenever you’re with her? Make her see you’re not a bad person, but really, really nice. Why does she dislike you so much anyway? It doesn’t make any sense...’   

‘You’re always saying that I’m brave for opening up and talking about my feelings. Maybe you should try to be brave too and listen to your own advice. I know you’re brave too. No one else would dare speak to us if Mom doesn’t want it, and yet, you do.’     

‘Maybe she’ll like it. To have someone to talk with. Mom can be really funny  y’know , and you like to laugh, don’t you?’    

Well, Andy was entirely sure that Miranda was not going to enjoy talking with her. The thought that she would, gave Andy a ticket straight to the loony bin. But Andy would risk it, risk her job, risk her sanity, and risk her life, to turn things back to how they were. Having the Miranda Priestly she knew back, would certainly be worth everything.   

***   

Sitting in the backseat of the town car was unequivocally an awkward experience. The tension oozing from Miranda was nearly tangible and it left Andy in all different kinds of a jittery and fidgeting mess. Andy had no clue as to how to approach Miranda without having her head bitten off. But then she thought that that would exactly be the sort of reaction she wanted to induce back into Miranda.   

So, Andy stilled her fidgeting hands, took a deep breath, and without further ado, ventured forward to pet the sleeping Dragon.   

Uhm , Miranda?”    

Came the first gentle caress, rousing the Dragon into wakefulness if the editor’s slight flinch of her shoulder was anything to go by. But the Dragon didn’t stir any further from her slumber, seemingly not deeming the endeavoring peasant appetizing enough to devour.   

Venturing forward once more, the endeavoring peasant decided if a caress wouldn’t wake the slumbering Dragon, then perhaps a scratch behind the ears would.    

“Miranda, is-, are you-, is everything alright?”   

That seemed to have woken the slumbering Dragon as it turned its menacing head towards the endeavoring peasant, its narrowing arctic blue eyes threatening, as if saying another pet, caress or scratch would unmistakably result in the peasant becoming its savory lunch.   

The courageous endeavoring peasant was determined to conquer her quest to lure the ravenous Dragon out from its lair and proceeded to offer herself up on a silver platter.   

“It’s just that-,  y’now , you’ve been-, you seemed out of sorts, or something,  y’know , this week.”   

The peasant trembled in fear by the hungry look in the Dragon’s threatening eyes, who has been thoroughly tempted to devour the delicious meal that has been presented to her. The ravenous Dragon snarled, baring its razor-sharp teeth, and lurched forward, snapping at the peasant.   

“What on earth are you gibbering on about, Andréa? Have you lost your silly, little brain on your way over to work? I am certainly nothing of the sort.”   

The courageous peasant drew up her shield and flashed her mega-watt blinding smile.   

“Oh, thank God. You had me worried there for a minute. I thought I must’ve done something wrong for you to stop insulting me all of a sudden.”   

Having been caught off guard and rendered into stupefaction by the blinding smile, the Dragon blinked, and seemed to have forgotten about its hunger, stalking forward and sniffing as if trying to smell out the ulterior motive behind the peasant’s quest.   

“You-? What are you on about, Andréa? You  cannot  be seriously telling me that you are looking to be insulted by me, are you?”   

“Well, yes. I mean, no. I mean, not entirely? It’s just that you’ve been acting really  stran -, different, towards me. And it sort of,  y’know , unsettled me a little. I couldn’t figure out what I did to, I don’t know, sort of upset you maybe? Since you’ve been trying to avoid me like I’m some plague or something. I just sort of, well, missed you, I guess? So, I thought if I would poke the  Dr -, bear, you would,  y’know , start acting normal around me again.”   

Miranda looked at her as if she had suddenly grown another monstrous head, causing Andy to giggle dumbly for never having seen such a comical look on Miranda’s face before.   

“You missed-?” Miranda shook her head slightly, steeling her features back to normal. “Yes, well. You certainly are a strange creature, Andréa. If you enjoy being insulted by me.”   

Andy giggled again. “Oh, I don’t necessarily enjoy you insulting me, Miranda. I can certainly do without all the scathing remarks. I just missed interacting with you, y’know, for you not to repel me if I were an incubus of viral plague. Because we all know just how much you love that, don’t we?” She said, flashing her mega-watt smile.   

Miranda sniffed and looked questioningly at Andy for a moment. “You want to interact? With me?”   

Andy giggled again and quipped. “Most certainly do.”   

Miranda raised an eyebrow and looked as if there was something wrong with the assistant. “Do you always giggle this much? Or have you gobbled down something alive and furry this morning?”   

Andy couldn’t help but laugh and shook her head. “Gosh, I don’t know why I’m so surprised. Cassidy did say you could be really funny sometimes.”   

Miranda narrowed her eyes. “I am most certainly not trying to be funny, Andréa.” She squinted her eyes even further into mere slits. “And what is this about Cassidy?”   

The menacing look immediately stopped Andy from giggling or laughing any further as a slight panic overtook her and she apprehensively tried to explain. “Oh! It’s just-, something Cassidy said, well, emailed a while back.”   

Miranda’s voice lowered as she threatened. “And what did she say to you, exactly?”   

Andy gulped loudly as a cold sweat started to transpire on her back. “Nothing-, just-, well-, y’know, to talk-, I guess-, uhm, with you.”   

“My daughter told you to talk,” Miranda said slowly. “With me. Why?”  

Rubbing at the back of her neck, Andy mumbled. “I-, I-, well. She'd said that maybe-, you would-, like it? To have uhm, someone to talk with?”   

Tone lacing with venomous incredulity, Miranda asked. “And my daughter thought you to be a suitable candidate to fill in such a position? Why would she think such a thing?”   

“I guess-, because-, I’m not-.” Andy sat up straighter and tried to gather up her confidence again. “Because I’m not like the others.”   

Miranda raised a questioning eyebrow. “Explain.”   

Steeling her nerves, Andy tried to look as if to reinforce the statement she was about to give. “Cassidy thinks, and I know, that I’m not like the others. Because I’m not, well, I’m not afraid of you, Miranda.”   

Miranda let out a rather undignified snort. “Well, that is a rather preposterous statement.”   

Andy frowned. “What makes you say that?”   

Miranda rolled her eyes as if that were the most idiotic question she’d ever heard. “Honestly, Andréa. You cannot have me actually believe that I do not frighten you?”   

“You don’t,” Andy stated adamantly.  

Miranda looked at her, incredulity written all over her face. “Do you think I have failed to notice how you turn into a quivering and stammering mess every five minutes? Or how you sometimes flee my office as if the Bogeyman was after you?”   

Andy shook her head. “That’s not because I’m afraid of you, Miranda. Yes, you turn me into a foolish nervous mess sometimes. But that’s only because you intimidate me.”   

“I intimidate you?” Miranda scoffed. “Is that not the same thing, Andréa?”   

“No, it’s not.” Andy sternly said. “In case you have failed to notice, Miranda. You have a rather out-of-this-world presence going on and all. You act like you’re some sort of queen or a goddess, and I’d be a fool if I didn’t see that you certainly have created your own empire, your own legacy to back that up. I’d be a fool if I didn’t think that you are someone to behold.” Andy huffed, crossing her arms over her chest and looked out of the window. “So, no. You don’t frighten me, Miranda. So, yes. You intimidate me, but only because I admire you.”   

Silence reigned over the two women once more, but Andy was left too agitated to care about any awkwardness between them.   

It wasn’t until they were at the showing that Andy realized that they were back at square one, with Miranda ignoring her once again. Which Andy thought was just ridiculous and it left her even more agitated to even remotely  care.    

So, on the drive back to Runway, Andy couldn’t be bothered to strike up a conversation again as she continued to look out of the window with her chin resting in her hand, thinking she’ll deal with this problem some other time. She certainly hadn’t expected for the disregarding Dragon to start poking the conquering peasant.   

“You are not afraid of me,” Miranda stated more than she questioned.  

Andy was still very much sulking so she didn’t respond, merely shook her head as she continued to look out the window.   

“But I intimidate you,” Miranda stated again, to which the brunette nodded once too.  

“Oh, do stop sulking, Andréa. It is rather unbecoming. You said it was because you admire me?” This time, Miranda questioned more than she stated.   

Andy rolled her eyes, still not turning around to face the older woman. “Haven’t we already gone over this?” She grumbled.   

Miranda retorted sharply. “Well, that is certainly even more difficult to believe than you not being afraid of me.”    

That made Andy’s head snap around to squint her hazel eyes at arctic blues. “That’s just ridiculous. What on earth would make you think that?” Andy snarled.   

Miranda squinted her own eyes. “Do not take that tone with me, Andréa.” She warned threateningly.   

Andy scoffed. “Or what? I’ll do whatever the heck I want. I’m not afraid of you Miranda, remember?”   

“Clearly.” Miranda huffed, then her voice dropped, menacingly soft. “Yes, you have certainly made it quite clear that you will do just whatever you seem fit.”   

Andy frowned in confusion. She suddenly couldn’t shake the feeling that there was something more going on behind those words. She took a moment to think about it whilst observing Miranda but couldn’t figure it out. So, she backtracked the conversation a little to try and understand where all of this was coming from.   

“You said you don’t believe the fact that I admire you. What makes you think that, Miranda?”   

Instead of answering, Miranda rolled her eyes and turned to look outside her own window, chin resting in her hand.   

“Oh, who’s sulking now, Miranda? I thought you said it was rather unbecoming, did you not?” Andy taunted in frustration.  

Miranda’s head snapped back and arctic-turned-ocean eyes threatened vehemently as she snarled. “It would do you well to remember that I am still your boss, Andréa.”   

“Or what, Miranda?” Andy snapped. “You’ll fire me? Blacklist me? Burry me six foot under in your backyard? Go ahead and do all of that if it will please you. Or you can just tell me what I want to know?”   

“Or what?” Miranda snapped back. “You will run off again when I do not do something you want?”   

Then it clicked for the younger woman as every puzzle piece fell into place. Her eyes widened in disbelief. “That?!” She shook her head. “You’re still pissed about that?!”   

“I would tread very carefully if I were you, Andréa.” Miranda snarled menacingly.   

Andy frustratingly ran her hand through her hair. “You can’t seriously still be holding a grudge against me because I left you in Paris, can you? Miranda, it’s been three months!”   

Narrowing her eyes once more, Miranda sneered. “And you cannot seriously have me believe that you admire me after you pulled such a cowardly stunt, can you?”   

Andy groaned as she raised her eyes  heavenward . “Miranda, c’mon! I’ve apologized, haven’t I? I’ve broken my back for you since then, haven’t I? Why are you still mad about that? Why do you even care that I’ve left you in a moment of bad judgment?”   

“I do not.” Miranda snapped. “Do not flatter yourself, Andréa.”   

“Oh, bite me, Miranda.” Andy snapped back. “You can deny it all you want. It’s obvious that you do. Why else have you treated me like shit since then? Care to explain that? I thought people don’t affect you, Miranda. But clearly, I do. So, why? Why do you treat me so differently than anybody else? Even if it is you just being an extra stuck-up rudimental bitch?”   

The moment those last words left the brunette’s lips, she knew she had just made a disastrous terrible mistake. Her eyes widened in shock as she slapped a hand over her mouth.   

“Miranda, I-”   

But Andy wasn’t given a moment to apologize since they seemed to have arrived back at Runway as Miranda threw open her car door, exited the car in less than a second, and stormed off towards the Elias-Clark building, her heels clacking thunderously loud on the pavement.   

“Oh, shit. Oh, fuck.” Andy groaned and held her head in both hands, shaking it at herself. “Fuck, fuck, fuck! If she didn’t hate you before, then she certainly hates you now, Andy. God! I’m so stupid. Why couldn’t I’ve just kept my babbling mouth shut?!”    

As Andy walked her own path towards the Runway offices, at a much slower pace than Miranda had done, she continued to deride herself, not caring that people were looking at her as if she were someone who’d escaped the asylum.   

“Oh, fuck. She’s definitely going to kill me. Stab me full of holes with all the darn heels she’s got. She’s going to skin and fillet me alive, sent Patricia to shred me to pieces. Fuck, firing and blacklisting me would even be more merciful than what she’s going to do to me.”   

“What am I going to do? Getting down on my knees and beg for forgiveness isn’t going to cut it.”   

“God, she’s going to be so fucking pissed! She’s going to fucking terrorize me until I’m dead!”   

“Fuck.”   

“Good job, Andy.”  

Notes:

Finally, the first real conversation between our two ladies!!

Didn't exactly end on a high note, did it?

What are your thoughts as to why Miranda's been acting so strangely? & Why she seems to be struggling in her convo with Andy?