Actions

Work Header

Avoiding the inevitable

Chapter 10

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Two weeks came and went, seemingly within the blink of an eye. It had been some of the busiest and taxing days ever for Andy. With training Avery, the new second assistant, taking over some of Emily’s workload since the redhead was spending half her time under Nigel’s wings,  customizing  herself to her new position in the art department, and doing her own abundant amount of work. It was safe to say that Andy felt like she was right on the verge of collapse, but unpretentiously, she wouldn’t let her exhaustion show. Andy carried on with her head held confidently high, mega-watt grin firmly in place, and shoulders determinedly squared, remembering the promise she had made to herself to overcome any obstacle, no matter how high, and conquer every predicament thrown on her path. She desperately clung to her resolve to reach the top, knowing it was an undertaking that she’d have to endure for years to come, but endure and succeed she would, chanting daily to herself that she can do anything, that she can do the impossible.   

The massive increase in workload wasn’t all that had changed for Andy. She’d taken notice of a modest, nearly negligible shift in her boss’s attitude towards her. To anyone on the outside looking in, it would’ve seemed like absolutely nothing had been altered between the two women. Miranda Priestly, the Devil in heels, was still very much the same mercurial, acrimoniously vicious, fire-breathing Dragon Lady. The Snow Queen still relentlessly demanded the impossible from her terror-stricken minions, piercing through their quivering souls with her freezing stare.    

So, it wasn’t a visible shift Andy noticed. It was rather something she  felt . Miranda hadn’t let up in her scathing remarks directed towards Andy, but nevertheless, she had felt the change. However ferociously callous the insults were, Andy sensed less menace in them. Whenever Miranda transfixed her with her bitterly cold, penetrating gaze, Andy sensed less contempt in them. The revelation had thrown Andy entirely for a loop. But the instance that had truly and thoroughly boggled Andy’s mind had happened that afternoon.   

The women were sitting in the backseat of the town car, going back to Runway from a showing of a new designer they had attended. When Miranda turned her head towards Andy and seemed to regard her thoughtfully, scrutinizing her from top to bottom. It had been the first time in two weeks that Miranda had looked at her since they’d started driving all over New York together. After an excruciatingly confusing silent moment, Miranda finally spoke up with a soft voice, seemingly to be dripping with profound boredom.  

“What are you wearing to the benefit on Friday?”    

With her mind explosively blown away, Andy struggled to form a coherent sentence. “Oh! Uhm, I-, well, I think-, I was-, Nig-”   

“Do get on with it, Andréa. You know how I love to be kept waiting.” Irritation had obviously taken over the boring intonation.   

Andy took a calming and collecting breath before answering once more. “Well, I don’t know yet. I was going to ask Nigel for some suggestions later today.”   

“Hm.” Miranda hummed, sounding back to being bored as she turned her head to look out the window again.   

After several moments of silence, when Andy’s heartbeat had finally returned to its normal steady pace, it sped up uncomfortably once more.   

“Wear the Versace suit, the one with the belt buckle,” Miranda said, still looking out the window.  

Andy’s eyes widened in disbelief. “Oh, uhm, ok. I mean-. Yes, Miranda.”   

It could have just been Andy’s imagination, probably from the exhaustion, and with her mind going completely haywire, but she nevertheless thought she saw the corner of Miranda’s lip twitch upward for a fraction of a second. It had almost looked as if Miranda had been suppressing a grin of sorts.   

Yep. It’s official,  Andy   mused.  I am without a doubt going completely and utterly insane.   

***   

“Nigel!”   

“WHA-?! Oh, for God’s sake. Stop doing that, Six! You’re going to put me in the hospital!” The art director snarled, only causing Andy to laugh harder.   

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry.” Andy giggled while wiping away a tear from the corner of her eye.   

Nigel scoffed. “I know you’re not.”    

Andy wickedly grinned while patting him on the shoulder. “You’re right, I’m not. It’s just hilarious to watch you jump ten feet in the air.”   

“You just wait, dear Six. You’ll get what’s coming for you. Karma’s a vengeful bitch, you know.” He said, his gaze focusing back on two outfits hanging before him.   

Andy patiently waited for him to make his decision, knowing that he’d only acknowledge her again when he did. He nodded once and picked up one of the outfits by its hanger and proceeded to hang it on a rack at the front of the Closet, Andy following him at the heel.   

“So, what is it this time? No, let me guess. You’re here because you need my worldly desired help again to find you a dress for the benefit.” Nigel said, already looking through the extensive collection of gala dresses that were only a mere small assortment within the vast infinity of clothes hanging in the Closet.   

Andy announced hesitantly. “Uhm, well, no. Not exactly. I already know what I’m going to wear.”   

Raising a disbelieving eyebrow, Nigel asked. “You do?”    

Andy nodded as she warily said. “Yeah, it’s the uhm, the Versace suit, y’know, with the belt buckle?”    

Nigel looked at her as if she’d grown another head. “What?! Why do you want to wear  that ?”    

“I-, I-, because I do?” Andy frowned, not understanding what the big deal was.   

He incredulously inquired. “ You ? Want to wear a  suit  to the event?  That  suit?”    

Andy huffed, crossing her arms over her chest. “Yes! I don’t get what the big deal is, Nige.”    

“Have you even seen the suit?” Nigel asked, still looking as if he didn’t believe a single word she said.   

“Well, no,” Andy said while she rubbed at the back of her neck. “That’s why I’m asking you, and for your help to finish the ensemble.”  

Nigel scrutinized her for another moment. “Right, well. Come along then.”  

***   

“Nige? You forgot the blouse.” Andy said from behind the dressing screen.   

“Nige?” She asked again when he didn’t respond.   

When Andy poked her head around the screen, she saw him looking at her, arms crossed and an evil glint in his dark eyes.   

“Nige?” Andy asked once more, raising a questioning eyebrow at him.   

“There isn’t one.” Nigel deadpanned.   

Frowning, Andy shook her head. “What? What do you mean, there isn’t one?”   

A wicked grin complemented his evil eyes. “That’s exactly what I meant, dear Six.”   

Reversing their roles, Andy looked at him as if he’d grown another head. “You can’t be serious?”   

“Deadly.”   

Shaking her head in disbelief, Andy asked. “How is this blazer supposed to cover,  y’know , my assets?”   

While looking at his fingernails, Nigel explained. “It’s not. That’s the whole point.”   

Andy squeaked. “What?! You can’t be serious, Nige?!”   

“I’m not in the habit of repeating myself, dear Six.” Nigel looked at her, a serious expression on his face. “Why have you chosen this particular outfit anyway?   

“I-, I-” Andy sighed and hid behind the screen again. “I didn’t.”   

Feeling curious, Nigel inquired. “Then what made you decide to wear it?”    

Andy hesitantly began. “Well,  y’know , Miranda-”   

“Miranda?!” Nigel’s voice rose slightly. “What has she-, wait. Did  she  suggest you wear that?”   

Rubbing at the back of her neck again, she said. “Uhm, sort of? Didn’t really sound like a suggestion though.”   

Feeling slightly confused, he asked. “Miranda  told  you to wear that suit?”  

Growing annoyed by his continued incredulity, Andy sneered. “I’m not really in the habit of repeating myself, Nige.”    

Nigel threw a silk robe over the dressing screen. “Put this on, and come out of hiding.”   

When Andy appeared from behind the screen, he considered her for a long moment, holding his chin between his thumb and index finger. “What’s going between you two?” He asked sternly as he raised an eyebrow.   

Andy looked away, crossing her arms over her chest. “What? I have no idea what you’re talking about.”   

Nigel placed his hands on his hips, his tone insinuating that he was deadly serious about this. “C’mon, Six. I can tell when you’re lying to me. Right now, you’re definitely lying.”   

Andy looked him straight in the eye then. “Seriously, Nigel. I don’t know what you’re asking.”   

Nigel sighed and ran his hand over his balding head. “I’m not blind, Andy. I’ve seen things.”   

Growing defensive, she scoffed. “Congratulations, seems those glasses are really doing it for you then."   

Then, after a silent moment, Andy guiltily looked down as she asked. "What things?”  

Crossing his arms over his chest whilst raising an eyebrow again, he asked. “You’re really going to make me say it? Instead of just telling me?”    

Andy frowned as she crossed her own arms over her chest. “What things, Nigel?”   

He sighed again as she shook his head, then admitted. “I’ve seen the way you look at her, Andy.”   

Andy's eyebrows shot off heavenward. “What?”    

Narrowing his eyes at her, he sternly started to prove his point. “You’ve asked me to give you a make-over. To make you more alluring.”   

“I-”   

“For Miranda.”   

“I-”   

“And now you’re telling me she wants you to wear that suit, that rather  revealing  suit?”   

“I-”   

“While you have to be by her side and whisper names and information in her ear all evening?”   

“I-”   

“What’s going on, Andy?”   

“I don’t know!” Andy yelled. “What are you trying to say, Nigel? Because I’m really not following.”   

Nigel looked at her again for a long moment, then deadpanned. “You like her, don’t you?”   

Andy fiercely fought against the blush she felt creeping up her cheeks. “What? Don’t be ridiculous!”  

Pressing on, he asked. “How long has this been going on?”    

Becoming frustrated, Andy said. “Nothing’s going on, Nigel!”   

He rolled his eyes at her. “Oh, c’mon, Andy! Don’t take me for a fool. You were practically undressing her with your eyes a couple of weeks ago. It looked like you were actually going to combust right then and there. And don’t you dare deny it. Don’t you dare lie to me again.” Nigel heatedly accused, pointing a finger at her.  

Feeling overwhelmed and  dumbfounded, Andy  remained silent for several moments, looking down at her feet. Then, she took a deep breath and gathered up her courage.   

“I-, I’m so screwed, Nigel,” Andy admitted softly as her vision started to blur.  

He spoke softly, stepping closer and wiping the tear away with his thumb. “Oh, dear Six. C’mon, none of that now.”   

Andy looked up at him, hazel eyes conveying all the agony she felt. “I’m so screwed because I-, I don’t just like her, Nigel. I’m-, I’m...”   

“You’re in love with her.” He stated, finishing off for her.   

“I am.” Andy groaned, another tear falling down her cheek.   

“Why is this making you so sad?” Nigel asked softly, lightly rubbing circles on her upper back.   

Andy growled angrily, more at herself than at Nigel. “Because! I’ve, like a moron, fallen head over heels in love with Miranda Priestly and she fucking hates my guts, is why.”    

“I agree that you may be a bit of a moron.” Nigel chuckled sympathetically when Andy fixed a deadly stare at him. “But she doesn’t hate you, kid.”   

Angry incredulity dripped from Andy’s voice. “Of course, she does! Where have you been these last couple of months? With your head in the clouds? Have you not seen the way she’s been treating me?”   

“Of course, I have. That’s exactly the reason why I know that she doesn’t hate you.” Nigel tried to explain.   

Andy looked at him as if she’d never seen someone so stupid before. “So, you’re saying that Miranda deriding and belittling my entire existence every chance she gets, does  not  mean she hates me? In what strange world are you living in, Nige?”    

“Don’t give me that look.” Nigel placed the tip of his index finger between her eyebrows and lightly pushed forward. “For all the analyzing you’ve done of our Queen, you’ve certainly failed to notice a very important key-feature.”   

Rubbing her forehead, Andy looked up at him questioningly. “What are you talking about?”   

“Surely you must know that people don’t affect Miranda, right? Incompetence, failures, annoyances, fatuousness, and so on, affect her mood for sure, but not the people themselves committing those atrocities. Miranda couldn’t give a rat’s  arse  about other people.”   

“Okay?” Andy asked, not understanding what Nigel was hinting at.   

Nigel sighed, taking off his glasses and wiping them clean with the handkerchief from his breast pocket. “People don’t affect Miranda, and yet, you do.”   

Losing her patience at the vagueness, Andy grumbled. “Oh, just spit it out, Nigel. What are you trying to say?”   

While folding up the handkerchief, he tried to explain. “What I’m saying is that she’s been so hostile towards you  because  you affect her. For some reason, you’ve wiggled your way under her skin, and she can’t seem to shake you off, and somehow it seems like she doesn’t want to. Otherwise, she would’ve fired you in Paris. Otherwise, you wouldn’t still be here.”    

The explanation confused Andy to no end. After thinking about it for several moments, she could acknowledge the truth in his words, but still had no idea what it all meant. So, she voiced it out loud. “I’m so confused right now, Nige. What does that all mean exactly?”   

Nigel carefully ventured forward. “Well, I can’t say for sure, of course. But my guess is that the reason why she’s been so spiteful and vindictive towards you, is because you seemed to have hurt her feelings. In Paris.”   

Andy’s eyes widened, skepticism lacing her voice. “I-, I-, I hurt her? Because I left her for that one afternoon?” She shook her head. “I figured out whilst talking to Caroline that I disappointed her for sure, that I had even broken her trust in me, yeah. But hurt her, Nigel?” Andy looked up at him, searching for more answers. Nigel gazed at her as if he’d never seen anything so strange in his life.    

“What?” She asked, feeling unnerved by his stare.   

Disbelief exuded from every pore on his body. “You talked with Caroline? A-, about Miranda and-, Paris?”   

Realizing her slip, Andy explained apprehensively. “Oh! Yeah. I’ve been talking with the twins for a while.     

“Why? How?” Nigel asked in shock.   

Andy looked down as she fidgeted with her fingers. “Uhm, because they wanted to talk, and I-, didn’t mind. Sort of happened since Harry Potter.” She looked up again. “Anyway, that’s not the point here. You said I’d hurt her? Not just disappointed, but hurt her? What makes you say that?”   

Nigel thought for a moment, trying to find the right approach. “Well, if you’d simply disappointed her, she would’ve gotten over it in no time. The fact that you’ve broken her trust would’ve taken a little more time and a lot of effort building that back up on your part. Which you’ve certainly been doing like a maniac. But the fact that she’s been holding a grudge well over two months and to such a deliberate extent, implies that your decision to leave might’ve affected her on a deeper level.”   

Andy ran her hands through her hair, completely boggled by their conversation. “But why? If what you’re saying is true. Why do I affect her this way?”   

Raising an eyebrow at Andy, he said. “Use that smart little brain of yours, Andy. What does being hurt by someone entail?”   

Andy frowned as she pondered the question for a moment until a light bulb went off in her head. Her eyes widened in incredulous disbelief as she felt her body going numb. “No. That-, that can’t be-, right?” She whispered.   

Pressing on, Nigel asked again. “What does it entail, Six?”   

Shaking her head, Andy said. “It-, it would suggest that-, that she-, cares?”   

When Nigel didn’t respond, Andy looked up at him. “She-, she cares?”   

Nigel nodded. “It certainly seems that way, kid.”    

“In what way? To what extent?” Andy questioned, feeling utterly discombobulated.  

Nigel shook his head. “That’s something I cannot answer, Six. That’s something only the woman in question holds the answers to.”   

Suddenly turning curious, Andy asked. “So, why-, why does she want me to wear that suit?”  

Chuckling, Nigel grinned wickedly. “Well, it can only be worn by a certain type of woman. Women with an advantage that most of our models don’t have.”  

Raising an inquisitive eyebrow, Andy plowed on. “Okay? So, what do I have that most of the models don’t?”  

Chuckling once more, Nigel drew circles in the air with his finger, indicating Andy’s chest area.  

“Oh!” Andy squeaked, then proceeded to nod numbly as she gazed forward, letting the entire conversation sink in. It took Andy several long moments to return back to earth.   

When Nigel saw she’d returned to the land of the living, he questioned. “So, what will you do about it now that you figured it out?”   

Andy looked up at him, a mega-watt smile lighting up the entire room. “How do I keep my boobs from falling out of that suit?”   

Nigel’s laughter echoed through the entire room. “Oh, dear Six.” He chuckled, wiping a tear away. “That’s why they’ve invented double-sided tape.”  

Notes:

What are you hoping Miranda's reaction will be when she sees our lovely brunette???

& Who else wishes to have a fairy Godfather such as Nigel?

& What d'ya think of his magical advice? :D