Actions

Work Header

Avoiding the inevitable

Chapter 9

Notes:

Thanks for reading!!!

If you like the story so far, then make sure to hit that KUDOS button!

Let me know what you think as well!

It's a real mood-booster to read your comments!

Enjoy!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

The next day at work found Andy exchanging emails with the twins, always waiting to read and respond when Miranda was out of the office for her paranoid fear of being caught by her. The last thing Andy needed was Miranda finding out that she’s conversing with her daughters, knowing how fiercely protective Miranda was of them. Andy didn’t even want to think what the repercussions would be if she’d be caught meddling again with Miranda’s personal life. But most of all, she didn’t want to get the girls into trouble.    

Andy knew that she shouldn’t be doing this. She knew she had no right, but subconsciously denied the wrongness of it all anyway. To an outsider, it wouldn’t make sense why the assistant liked to converse with her boss’ children. They’d think their growing relationship was out of the ordinary, and they wouldn’t be entirely wrong about it either. If Andy really thought about it, she’d have to admit that it was definitely highly unusual. A grown woman talking to another woman’s couple of eleven-year-olds without their mother knowing about it. Especially since they’re the children of none other than Miranda Priestly, the woman who seemed to hate her entire existence. She was merely an insignificant assistant, here to fetch and obey and not to think twice about Miranda’s wants or needs unless it was about something work-related, and to simply do what was being asked of her. That unquestionably didn’t include that she should be meddling beyond the sacred boundaries of their workplace.   

Andy just couldn’t help  herself,  it wasn’t even entirely her fault that this had come to be. It was the twins, after all, who had reached out to Andy after she’d given them the unpublished Harry Potter manuscripts. It was them who had come up to her late at night, well past their bedtime whilst she was delivering the Book and dry-cleaning. Andy had never really given it any thought as to why they suddenly decided to talk to her. Why they waited up for her, sneaked and tiptoed down the staircase, and proceeded to tell her about their day. Andy was surprised that first nights they’d come down, and definitely worried about Miranda catching them. But after the second night, Andy couldn’t deny she enjoyed listening to the twins’ shenanigans and the way they communicated, amusing her with that curious way how twins seemed to effortlessly finish each other's sentences or the way they knew exactly what the other was thinking by simply looking at each other. She loved getting to know them bit by bit, learning they each had their unique individual personalities, how they were so very different from the other that their personalities didn’t seem to match, and yet, it was obvious that they were made for each other.    

With each encounter, Andy felt herself growing rather fond and being enamored by them. So, Andy didn’t think talking with the twins was a strange occurrence. She’d like to think of them as her friends, albeit much younger, and she didn’t mind it one bit when Caroline was making fun of her, enjoying her witty and whimsical spirit, or adoring Cassidy’s gallant and considerate nature.   

She just hated the sneaking around part of it all and the feeling that she was doing something wrong. Andy also didn’t let herself acknowledge that because of the girls, she felt sort of closer to Miranda who had captured her heart. It also left her in a bit of turmoil, feeling guilty that she was doing something Miranda wouldn’t approve of and going behind her back. Nevertheless, she would risk the possibility of being banned from the Priestly women’s lives if it meant she could be of any sort of importance to them, however insignificant she was, or how short their time together would be.   

***   

From:  [email protected]     

To:  [email protected]     

Subject: Re: Re: Re:  ‘Sup  twin terrors?   

Hi Andy!   

Congrats on your promotion! Does this mean that you’ll have to spend more time at Mom’s side? Y’know, like going to shows, meetings, and all that stuff together?    

Oh, does that mean that you won’t be bringing the Book anymore? That would suck.   

Yeah, Care doesn’t like to talk about how she feels when she’s upset. Which is sort of strange, because she loves to talk. Seriously, she never shuts up!    

She simply bottles everything inside, and then she erupts and says things she doesn’t mean, and then feels bad about herself. She’s really stubborn.    

I tried talking with her several times to try and get her to open up, but she doesn’t take me seriously when I do. I don’t know why she does that. It’s frustrating. I know she loves me, but I want her to trust me as well. Well, I know she trusts me, I think she just doesn’t think that I can help her since I’m just a kid like her. That’s understandable, I guess.   

She’s acting really strange today. She’s hardly talking, which is so weird! She isn’t complaining in classes about how boring everything is, she isn’t cussing, she didn’t even acknowledge the boy she likes when he came up to her this morning. It’s seriously weirding me out! Then she got mad at me when I tried to cheer her up. For the first time in like, forever, I can’t tell what she’s thinking. I know she’s sad about her fight with Mom but that’s it. She usually bounces right back after a fight. I hope you can figure out what’s wrong with her, Andy. I want my ridiculous sister back.   

I’ll make Mom a painting during art class today, but I don’t know what yet. Do you know what she would like that would cheer her up? I don’t want do anything related to Runway. That’s just boring. I don’t want to cheer her up with more work stuff. I want something more personal, and I don’t want to paint Patricia. I’ve done that too many times, it’s uninspiring and monotonous. (Did I spell that right?)   

I really don’t mind talking to you, Andy! I’m glad I have someone to talk with who doesn’t treat me like a child.   

And thanks for the advice! I’m off to English lit now.   

Bye!   

Cass   

 

From:  [email protected]     

To:  [email protected]     

Subject: Re: Re: Re:  ‘Sup  twin terrors?   

I’d much rather shave my head and eat broccoli before I let Vic turn me into a vampire. Cars are boring anyway and so is he! I’d much rather be an evil witch and turn everyone into stinking toads. I’d use my magic to disappear from this stupid math class and go watch movies all day. Seriously, math sucks!   

You’re such a big dork, Andy! You can’t seriously think Mom would kill you, do you? She’s all bark but no bite, y’know. But I’ll refrain from cussing around Mom. She’s mad enough. So, you don’t have to worry about getting into trouble for encouraging me to cuss. But I’ll still do it whenever it pleases me when I’m not at home! D’you know any cool cuss words? Or are you too much of a boring goody two shoes to cuss? I’m thinking that you are... Care to prove me wrong?   

The cool twin   

 

From:   [email protected]         

To:   [email protected]       

Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re:  ‘Sup  twin terrors?   

Thanks, kiddo!   

Huh, I hadn’t even thought of that. Yeah, I guess I’ll be spending more time at your mother’s side. Gosh, that’s a little scary to think about. Not that I’m scared of her, though she is pretty scary. I just hope she’ll at least try to tolerate my presence a little more. 😛    

And I guess that will eventually mean that I won’t be bringing the Book anymore. Haven’t thought of that either. But that won’t be for a while I’m guessing. Not until your mother deems the new second assistant worthy enough to take over that task.    

I’m sure going to miss seeing you guys when that’ll happen!    

Wow, a not talking Caroline, that’s definitely strange! She emailed me back though and rest assured, she’s still very much into cussing, and still complaining about how stupid math is. So, I guess that’s good right?!   

She does seem a little bitter though. She’s sort of acknowledged that your mother might still be mad at her. Nothing else, much. I wish I could talk to her, instead of doing this over email. But I don’t want you girls getting into trouble. I don’t think your mother’s gonna appreciate me talking to you guys. You know she’s very protective of you, and I certainly understand that.   

Anyway,   

I wouldn’t worry too much, sweetie. I know you’ll get your cheerful sister back in no time! It is Caroline, after all. It’s sweet that you do worry though. You’re a great sis, and a great friend as well.    

That’s a tough question,  y’know . What would your mother like that’s not related to fashion?  Gosh…  As I said, I don’t really know her that well. You’d be much better at figuring something out that she would like. You’re the creative one, after all. But I do know that what she loves most in this world is you guys! So, maybe a portrait of you and your sister? That’s all I can come up with really. Sorry, I can’t be of any more help to you with that one, Cass.   

Anyway,   

Your mom’s  gonna  be back soon! So, I  gotta  go and get some actual work done.   

Oh, and you did spell monotonous correct, good job!   

See  ya  

Andy   

 

From:   [email protected]        

To:  [email protected]      

Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re:  ‘Sup  twin terrors?   

Boring boys certainly won’t do now, will they?!   

Yeah, being a witch sounds pretty neat! I’d just enchant someone to do all my work for me. And I would be able to conjure up as many donuts as I’d like! (Don’t you dare make a fat-comment on that!)   

Oh, your mom has definitely got some bite! You should see her at work! She’s made grown men cry and nearly wet their pants on multiple occasions! If she were a dog, she’d definitely be a version of a vicious furry beast like Patricia.   

And I did NOT, and I would NEVER, encourage you to cuss! Nor will I be teaching you new words for that matter. Are you trying to get me killed?! I’d much rather be a boring goody two shoes than dead, thank you very much!   

What’s this about your mom being mad? She did seem a little sad yesterday though, but certainly not mad, well, not more than usual anyway. But that’s just me, she’s always displeased with me. So, I know how it is.    

Anyway, since I don’t have any magical powers, I’d better get some work done myself.   

See  ya  

The best assistant like, ever!   

 

From:  [email protected]     

To:  [email protected]     

Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:  ‘Sup  twin terrors?   

Hi again!   

Maybe you can try and start talking to Mom whenever you’re with her? Make her see you’re not a bad person, but really, really nice. Why does she dislike you so much anyway? It doesn’t make any sense...   

You’re always saying that I’m brave for opening up and talking about my feelings. Maybe you should try to be brave too and listen to your own advice. I know you’re brave too. No one else would dare speak to us if Mom doesn’t want it, and yet, you do.   

Maybe she’ll like it. To have someone to talk with. Mom can be really funny  y’know , and you like to laugh, don’t you?    

I hope the new second assistant will be dumb then! So, you’ll have to continue to bring the Book.   

Caroline’s back to cussing again! She just called Becca, a girl in our class the b-word, and the boy she’s with the a-word. It looked like she was mad, but I knew she was really sad.    

I don’t think Mom’s still mad at her, just sad as well. They don’t know how to talk about it. They’re really dumb and stubborn if you ask me.   

I just finished my painting. That was a great idea, Andy! It was sort of weird to paint myself though. I hope she’ll like it.   

Anyway,   

I’ve got to go. School’s almost out and I have a bunch of homework to do when I get home.   

See  ya  

Cass   

***   

“Have the run-through be here in ten minutes and get me my coffee.” Miranda snarled, announcing her presence as she walked into the anteroom from her meeting with Irv.    

Surprised by Miranda’s sudden appearance, Andy jumped in her seat, nearly falling off the chair, and quickly closed the email-tab on her computer. Grabbing her phone and coat, she scurried out of the office, sent off a text to the Starbucks across the street, and proceeded to call Nigel to let him know that Miranda’s expecting them in her office nearly two hours sooner than was planned.   

When Andy returned, scorching cup in hand, everyone was in position and they were about to begin. Andy handed over the coffee to Miranda’s outstretched hand. Their fingers brushed, and Andy felt a light tingle run up her arm. She pulled back as if she’d been burned and hastily went to retrieve her notepad and pen from her desk.   

Observing as Miranda and her staff worked, she let her gaze linger on the editor. Miranda had been in and out of the office all day, barely present for more than a minute. As subtly as possible, Andy examined her boss. Miranda wore a marvelous pinstripe power suit with 4.5-inch luscious maroon Prada stilettos. No doubt as her chosen armor to intimidate Mr. Ravitz while they discussed the next issue’s budget. The blouse she wore under the jacket was a blood-red color as well, unbuttoned to show the beginning of that delectable valley again. Unconsciously, Andy licked her lips as she felt her body heat up. Miranda emanated confidence and authority, but to Andy, it screamed of sexual domination.   

Andy’s mind screeched to a halt. This was definitely not the time to be thinking of her boss in a sexual way. Not with all these people around. She shouldn’t be thinking about that, permanently! But Miranda wasn’t making it easy for her. Miranda stood, posture poised all high and mighty, but it was what she was doing with her hand that drove Andy to heated distraction. One hand holding the elbow of her arm right under her breasts, while the other hand’s middle finger was leisurely caressing back and forth from one end of a collarbone to the other.   

Oh, what I wouldn’t give for my tongue to replace that finger,  Andy feverishly mused. Her mind screeched to a sudden stop as her eyes widened.   

What the FUCK, Andy! Get yourself together, you fool!   

Andy tried with a mighty effort to focus back on the run-through, forcing her eyes to look at the clothes instead of her boss. But it was as if Miranda was a powerful magnet, pulling in hazel eyes against their will. Thankfully another distraction came that had Miranda move out of her field of vision, or so Andy thought.   

Miranda moved towards her desk to check her phone and see who was calling her directly instead of the assistants’ desk first.   

“Out,” Came the silent but threatening command.   

Andy was the last person to leave the inner office and heard Miranda answer the phone.   

“Hello,  Bobbsey . Is everything alright? How was school?”   

Before turning to sit behind her desk, Andy saw Miranda walking over the floor-to-ceiling window to be out of hearing range from the anteroom. But the movement was in vain when she heard the editor raise her voice slightly louder than Andy had ever experienced it before.   

“What?! Why? Why would y-” Miranda stopped, seemingly being cut off by one of the twins.   

“Don’t you take that tone with me, Caroline.” She lightly threatened.    

Andy couldn’t help herself, her curiosity got the better of her as she fine-tuned her hearing to listen as to what Miranda was saying. Thinking that Caroline certainly seemed to have a knack for interrupting her mother when she was speaking.   

“Care to explain to me as to why y-”    

“It certainly is my business, young lady. I have a right to  kn -”    

“Is that so? And what makes you think that I’ll-”   

“Caroline, just tell me  wh -”   

“Oh, for God’s sake, fine! But you and I are going to talk when I get-”   

“Alright, fine! Hold on.”   

“Andréa.”   

Andy’s eyes widened, eyebrows nearly sky-rocketing off her forehead, and she felt her heart sink to the pit of her stomach. A dreadful cold sweat crept up her back as she felt frozen to her seat.   

“Andréa.” Came the impatient irritation-laced voice again, making Andy jump into fearful action.   

Andy walked into the inner office and wanted nothing more in the entire world than to turn back around and flee from the building as she saw Miranda looking at her with a murderous intensity in her eyes. Miranda stretched out her arm and offered her phone to Andy, but said nothing else. She just stared at her, as if trying with her gaze to set Andy ablaze. Andy reached out with a trembling hand and took the phone from her boss, apprehensively holding it to her ear.   

“Hi, kiddo?” Andy timidly asked, averting her eyes from Miranda.   

“Hey, Andy. You got a minute? I asked Mom if we could talk. She said it’s fine.”   

Andy had absolutely no idea how Caroline could even think that Miranda would even find this remotely ‘fine’.   

Uhm , Sure. What’s up? How was school?” Andy tried to engage in casual conversation as she moved past Miranda and towards the windows, looking out over the New York skyline.   

“Boring as hell. Anyway, I don’t  wanna  talk about school. I  wanna  follow up on your email.” The girl sternly said, in a tone saying that this matter wasn’t up for discussion.   

Andy closed her eyes, hoping against hope that Caroline didn’t mean she wanted to talk about her mother with Miranda right in the same room as her. She wouldn't mind it if the ground beneath her would suddenly open up and swallow her whole.  

“Alright, sure. What do y-,” Andy  began  but was interrupted.   

Y’said  Mom seemed sad yesterday. How could you tell?” Caroline asked.  

Andy tried to sound as elusive as possible, not wanting Miranda to figure out they were talking about her. “Oh, well, I don’t know. I just could. I saw it in the little things, y’know?”    

Caroline pressed on, seemingly dead set on getting an answer. “Riiight, well. You also said she’s always mad at you. Why’s that?”    

Andy swallowed audibly as she rubbed at the back of her neck in her nervous manner. “Uhm, sh-, it, just is. I don’t really know why. Well, I used to, but now, not so much.”   

“Is she there? Is that why you’re being all weird, more so than usual?” Caroline inquired.   

Andy sighed as she pressed her hand to her forehead. “Yeah.”   

Caroline huffed. “Well, can’t you go somewhere else? I wanna talk about this. Y’said I could talk to you. So, move or something?”    

Caroline sounded frustrated, perhaps at her mother for not giving them any privacy. But what did she expect, really? For her boss to happily sit her down on the couch and bring over biscuits and tea so they could chat and gossip like this was completely normal, as if they did this every day? The girl was definitely something else. Andy turned her head around to look at Miranda, who stood several steps behind her, blocking the path towards the door. Hands on her hips and fiery eyes burning into Andy’s, seemingly intent to not let Andy out of her sight.  

Andy responded as she shook her head “No, seems like I don’t have much of a choice.”   

Caroline huffed once more. “Oh, shit, well, sucks to be you then.”   

“You should really try and tone down that vocabulary, Caroline.” Andy warned lightly, running a hand through her hair.   

Andy heard the girl sniff before she said, “Don’t wanna. I think it suits me.”    

Andy tried for a different approach on the matter. “Well, I beg to differ. But if you must, then at least try and be more creative.”   

Caroline questioned curiously. “Like how?”   

Chuckling, Andy said. “Like being inventive, be ingenious about it. You don’t just want to sound like everyone else, right? That stuff gets boring pretty easily, y’know. I know you’re a bright kid. So, what d’ya say? You  wanna  try and be original?”   

“Oh, you’re on! You, donut-hole!” Caroline challenged.   

“Oh, dear God.” Andy giggled. “What have I done?”   

Caroline giggled conspiringly. “See! You are encouraging me to cuss!”   

“I’m doing no such thing, young lady!” Andy playfully scolded. “Quite the opposite really.”   

“Yeah, right. Keep telling yourself that.” Caroline laughed humorously, and the sound made Andy’s heart light up. “Anyway, so Mom. Why is she mad at you?”   

And her heart sank again. Andy didn’t know how she could openly talk about the issue with the subject of the conversation standing right behind her. She wanted with all her heart to help Caroline and talk about her troubles but didn’t know if she could right now. Then suddenly, Cassidy’s last email came to mind. Telling her that she should just try and talk about her feelings. That she should try and be brave too, concerning Miranda. Listening to her own advice coming from the smartest kid she knew, Andy proceeded to do just that.    

“Well, I can’t say for sure, but my guess is it’s because of something I’ve done a couple of months ago.”   

Curiosity laced Caroline’s voice. “ Oeeh , what did you do?”   

With a timid voice, Andy admitted hesitantly. “I think I might’ve broken her trust in me.”  

Caroline queried knowingly. “Are you talking about you leaving her in Paris?”  

Feeling baffled, Andy asked. “Wha-? How did you-? Did she tell you about that?”    

“No, not really. She’d sort of grumbled about it to herself while we were watching a movie a while back. She was reading something from work on her phone.” Caroline explained.   

“Oh, well, that’s-, yeah. I think I really disappointed her that day.” Andy rubbed at the back of her neck again. “Why are you asking me about this, anyway?” She started to feel unsure, she didn’t really understand why they were talking about her problems with Miranda instead of Caroline’s issue.   

Now it was Caroline’s turn to admit timidly. “I-, I think I might’ve disappointed her as well.”    

Andy inquired softly. “Why do you think that?”   

Sounding upset, Caroline admitted. “I said something to her, but I didn’t mean it. She got really upset.”    

Andy nodded as she asked. “And what has that got to do with me?”   

Caroline sternly started to state the  facts. “You  said she’s mad at you. You upset her. What are you doing to make her forgive you?”   

Realization dawned on Andy. “Oh, I see now. Have you tried apologizing to her?”   

Caroline retaliated defensively. “Have you?”   

Andy warily glanced over her shoulder to look at Miranda. Noticing how Miranda’s tense posture had slightly eased up, and how the murderous intensity had vanished from her face into a look of unguarded curiosity.   

With her eyes still locked with Miranda’s, Andy confessed. “Well, yes. I told her I was sorry right after I left her.” She turned her head back around when Miranda raised an eyebrow at her.  

Sounding incredulous, Caroline fired off questions. “But she’s  still  mad at you? After  all  this time?  Why ? Why hasn’t she forgiven you yet?”   

“Unfortunately, she still is, yeah.” Andy shook her head. “But I think she did sort of strangely forgave me though. I’m not really sure. She didn’t fire me back then, so that’s something, I guess. But that doesn’t mean she trusts me. I’ve been trying though, to make her see that I’d do anything for her, uhm, I mean, so she’ll trust me again. I guess she just needs time to see that.”   

Andy paused for a moment, fighting the urge to glance at Miranda again. “But, sweetie. I’m in an entirely different position than you. I’m just her assistant.”   

Wrapping her free arm around her middle, Andy carried on. “I hold no real meaning in her life. But you’re her daughter. You mean everything to her. I’m sure that if you’d just apologize to your mother for whatever it is that you said to her, she’d forgive you in no time.”   

After a silent pause, Caroline timidly admitted. “I said I’d rather live with Dad than with her. Which isn’t true, Andy! I don’t know why I said that. I was being really childish.”   

Feeling her heart go out to Caroline, Andy tried to reassure her. “Tell her that, sweetie. I’m positive she’ll understand. She loves you, no matter what, okay? Don’t be afraid to talk to her. It wouldn’t do only her any good, but you as well. It’s necessary to express your feelings, Care. If you keep things bottled up, you’ll end up lashing out and say things you don’t mean. Do you get that?”   

Caroline sighed loudly over the phone. “Yeah, I do. You’re right. It’s not that easy for me. I’m not like Cass. She always seems to know what she’s feeling. It just takes me a little longer to figure stuff out,  y’know ?”   

Smiling tenderly, Andy placed her hand against the reflection of her face on the window and leaned her forehead against it. She completely forgot about Miranda’s presence in the room for a moment. “I get that, kiddo. But you have a wonderful, loving sister to talk to and navigate whatever it is that you might be feeling. And a very brilliant and wise mother, who loves you unconditionally and who’ll always be there for you. And you’ve got me as well, kid. I promise I’ll always be there for you, if you need help or simply want to chat, I’m here. Don’t doubt any of that, alright sweetheart?”   

“Ok. Thank you, Andy.” Caroline breathed, sounding sincerely grateful.   

Smiling, Andy said. “You’re very welcome, Caroline. Are you feeling any better now?”   

Suddenly sounding very chipper, Caroline answered. “Yeah, I am. I’ll talk to mom when she gets home. Will you tell her that for me?”   

Andy blinked as she remembered Miranda’s presence. “Of course, kiddo.”   

“Thanks again. Bye, Andy.”   

“Bye, Care.”   

Andy hung up the phone and stared down at the black screen, feeling completely lost all of a sudden. She was glad that she was able to help the troubled girl, but now that she was back in her own reality, she didn’t know what to do, didn’t know how to face Miranda. But she knew she had to, she had to give the phone back, had to relay Caroline’s message, had to probably explain herself, wasn't even sure if she was still working for her.   

She knew she had no other choice but to turn around and meet her doom. So, she did, like ripping off a band-aid. Andy slowly turned around and walked towards Miranda, not daring to look her in the eye. With an unsteady hand, she held out the phone, waiting for Miranda to take it back, but to no avail. Miranda stood motionless.    

Timid voice trembling slightly, Andy spoke up. “Uhm, Caroline asked me to tell you that she’ll talk with you when you get home.”   

When not even a response was forthcoming, Andy apprehensively looked up. Miranda was looking at her, her face stoic as ever but with a questioning look in her eyes. When Miranda still made no move to take back her phone or to say something, Andy anxiously tried again.   

“Would-, would you like me to go get Nigel and the others back?”   

Miranda raised an eyebrow, then shook her head. “No.”   

Andy rubbed at the back of her neck seemingly for the  umpteenth  time. “Oh, ok. Then, I’ll just-,  y’know , go back-”   

“How did that happen?” Miranda inquired, her soft voice holding no menace in it, just mere curiosity.   

“What?” Andy asked, feeling shocked and confused.   

“You, and my girls?”   

“Oh.” Realization dawned on Andy as she explained, smiling shyly. “Well, ever since the Harry Potter, uhm, manuscript. They sort of,  y’know , started talking to me.”   

“When?” Miranda pressed on.  

“When I bring the Book.” Andy admitted, feeling concerned that she might’ve gotten the girls into trouble, she tried explaining the situation some more while she fidgeted with her fingers.   

“At first, I told them not to come down so late in the evening, and that they should go to bed, I swear I did. But they continued to come down every now and then, and I, well, I took a liking to them. Enjoyed talking with them, well, I listened, mostly. But yeah, it just sort of happened.”  

Andy looked at her pleadingly, trying to convey the sincerity she felt “So, please. Please, Miranda. Don’t be mad at them. Fire me if you must, but please don’t be mad at them. They’re good kids.”  

Miranda studied her for a long moment, her face giving nothing away as to what she might be thinking. Giving a slight nod, she took the phone from Andy’s still outstretched hand and stepped to the side, clearing Andy’s path towards the doorway.   

Still as indecipherable as ever, Miranda said. “You’re not fired, but you may go, Andréa.”   

“Y-yes, Miranda.” Andy nodded and practically ran back to her desk.   

Once sitting down, she took a deep breath and exhaled slowly, trying to purge all the stress and anxiety from her system. The whole ordeal had left Andy in an outright disarrayed state. Andy’s head started to pound when she fully started to realize what she’d just done. Feeling mortified, she couldn’t believe she’d actually voiced some of her thoughts and feelings regarding Miranda, to one of her children, for God’s sake. All while Miranda had been standing in the same room, listening to every single word she’d said.   

And what’s more, Miranda hadn’t seemed angry with her at all for speaking to her daughter the way she had, well, at least not at the end of it all. She’d been so sure that this would’ve been the breaking point, the match in the powder barrel, the final straw. The inevitable moment that she be kicked out and banned from ever laying eyes upon any of the Priestly women again. And yet, nothing happened.   

Andy felt a strange sort of déjà-vu. For a moment, she was transported back to that fateful night in Paris. Standing in the presidential suite, pleading for Miranda not to fire her, and by the end, had been feeling utterly perplexed when Miranda hadn’t so much as even breathed a single scathing remark at her.   

Once again, Miranda’s unpredictability had left her completely and utterly  dumbfoundingly  baffled.  

Notes:

Who else adores our little twin terrors?
What d'ya think of them so far?

& About Miranda's reaction to Andy's phone call with Caroline? :D