Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 1 of Happily Ever After
Collections:
Cream de la cream of dramione, Done, harry potter master list, All Dramione I've Read - draek, Dramione Best Fics God Tier, ToReadHD, Heartfelt_Dramione, Fics I need to read ASAP
Stats:
Published:
2021-01-01
Completed:
2021-08-16
Words:
100,419
Chapters:
36/36
Comments:
247
Kudos:
1,344
Bookmarks:
547
Hits:
138,793

Our Games we Play

Summary:

Everyone is going back for 8th year. Draco and Hermione navigate a secret and very steamy relationship- nobody can know, except Ginny of coarse...

*The dirty scenes are marked as such in the chapter index.*

-I don't own Harry Potter-

 

—-- "Scared Granger?" He said quietly as if he were asking her to pass the newts eyes.

   "Of what?" She said innocently, knowing the effect these subtle words would have. Her stomach twisted as she felt his energy change beside her.

   He licked his bottom lip and clenched his jaw as one of his hands tightened against the workbench. He wanted to discipline her right now... on the floor... in the middle of potions class. That she knew for sure. ——

Notes:

The beginning of the HP books were always so cute, whimsical and happy. I am hoping to emulate that in this fic, but with a lot of smut (obviously) and with some drama sprinkled throughout. Consider this piece a palate cleanser in between dark fic’s!

Chapter 1: Burrow

Summary:

The trio get the news that they are going back to Hogwarts in the fall.

Notes:

“Family cohesion and provision of a sense of security increase resilience among children exposed to political conflict.”

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

   The Burrow was full to the brim with red hair and the usual ruckus. 

 

   Harry and Hermione had moved in after the war to be closer to their best friends and were now part of the household, officially becoming honorary Weasleys. 

 

  The mood had been very solemn for a few months after the war due to the many losses that tragically had shadowed the clan but the kindness they had received from their friends, acquaintances, and the wizarding world had slowly helped them to pick up the pieces. 

 

   They found themselves living for the moment more and more without having to watch their backs. They were finally enjoying time spent with the family and friends that had made it through with them. 

 

  Molly was keeping busy as ever by fussing over Ginny, Harry, and Hermione, yelling at Ron and George and ordering Kreacher around (a kind donation from the noble house of Black vía Harry). 

 

   The Trio were also making plans for their life after Hogwarts. There had been many job offers and the like but none of them had been accepted into the Auror program yet... even after all they had accomplished. 

 

  Regardless, it had been one of the best summers of their lives... that is until they got the letter from the Ministry of Magic informing them that everyone would be required to return to Hogwarts to complete their NEWTS in September. 

 

   The older students simply hadn't learned enough, mainly because of the sorry excuse for a 5th year and the non-existent 7th year for many of them. 

 

   Also, now that Britain was safe the school had reopened their exchange program for the first time in 19 years. A large influx of new students and faculty would be joining them. 

 

   Hermione figured that the school needed them to return as a way of proving it was safe... and not just the battleground of the previous war. 

 

    The letter from McGonagall a week later stated as much.

 

   This would also effectively solve the dwindling wizard population problem and bring galleons and growth into their economy.

 

 

  The youngest three Weasleys, Harry and Hermione were all sitting on a large picnic bench outside the Burrow. They were surrounded by large pitchers of butterbeer and a dubious substance George had brought along from a friend's distillery called "Gullyfizz". 

 

   Hermione had a healthy suspicion 'Gullyfizz' was not yet approved by the Department of Intoxicating Substances but decided not to give a fig because of the delightfully giddy feeling it induced.

 

  "Can't we just stay here forever and not go back to school? We've successfully saved the world; shouldn't the Ministry throw galleons at us and wish us a job well done?" Ron whined. It looked as though the question was directed at his butterbeer.

 

    "It's all downhill from here, Ronald. You've peaked too early," George said. He always delighted in pestering him. 

 

  "You could use the extra education, Won-Won, and you should probably save all the brain cells you have left." Ginny snorted as she slid the butterbeer away from his grasp. 

 

   Ronald growled and then pulled Ginny's hair violently before she roughly tackled him to the ground. This was a regular occurrence between the two siblings. 

 

  "I'm loaded with b-brain cells! Whatever those are." Ron hiccupped as Ginny grabbed at his arms and face. 

 

   "Let go of my hair, Ronald!" she screeched, but her unbridled fury made him panic and grasp it even tighter. 

 

  "Ginny!! Ginny!! Ginny!!" Hermione and George chanted as they continued their tumble. 

 

   "What do you say, Hermione? Should we wrestle too?" George winked as he looked her up and down cheekily. 

 

    "If you want to lose." Harry chuckled to himself as he looked behind him with worry for Ron. 

 

   Finally, Ginny was on top of him and had her wand out, about to bat bogey hex her poor red-faced brother when a "POP" sounded from the garden near the front gate. 

 

  A lean, tall and handsome sandy blonde-haired wizard stood at the edge of the garden and looked amusedly at the scene in front of him. 

 

  "BENNY!!!!" George yelled running over to the man. "It's been a minute, mate!" 

 

  Harry and Hermione looked at each other, shrugging. Neither of them had heard the name before. 

 

  "He's our cousin from Finland. Mum's sister's kid," Ron wheezed, looking a bit deflated as Ginny gave him one last shove before going to greet her cousin. 

 

  "Don't start a fight if you can't finish it," Harry chided. 

 

  "Ya sure... take Gin's side," Ron breathed, picking some grass out of his hair. "Do the words 'Golden Trio' mean nothing? I could have used some bloody backup."

 

  "Looks like I made it in time before Ron drank the whole reserve," Benny laughed as he walked over, lending an arm to Ron to help him up. 

 

  "Good to see you too, Benny," the redhead chuckled and gave his cousin a hug and pat on the back before flopping back into his seat. 

 

   "This is Hermione Granger and Harry Potter." 

 

   Benny shook Harry's hand and then Hermione's, looking curiously at them. 

 

 "It's nice to meet you finally." Molly never stops going on about you two in the letters she sends our family!"

 

  "Speak of the devil," said George. 

 

  Molly appeared from the house, arms outstretched. "I'm so glad you could make it! Where is your sister?" She engulfed him into a hug and patted his face as she summoned Kreacher to grab his things and take them to George's room where he would be bunking. 

 

   Hermione was reminded of how she had finally given up on trying to free Kreacher. He was a lost cause in her book, after many failed attempts at presenting him with clothes.

 

  "Annie is coming too?" asked Ginny. 

 

  "Yes, we are both in for the Hogwarts experience this year!" Benny laughed. "So... thanks for defeating that dark lord of yours so that we didn't have to go all the way to Ilvermorny again for our last year. 

 

Another "POP" and a tall slim blonde girl that looked like the female version of Benny appeared at the gate. 

 

 

  The twins, Benny and Annie, had been moved to Finland when they were quite young and hadn't been allowed to visit England due to the threat of the Dark lord. Their parents had still stayed in contact with the family throughout the years though and the Weasley brood even visited them in the north on occasion. 

 

   The two siblings listened intently as Ginny and Ron started catching them up on everything they had missed since they last saw each other. 

 

  There was an astonishing amount to go over. 

 

  Benny was very handsome and Hermione was trying hard not to be affected but found herself blushing and giggling like a third-year would when he talked to her. 

 

   Harry noticed instantly and snickered at her 'subtle' attempts at flirting with the bloke.

 

  The group kept chatting in the garden until night fell upon them and the garden lit up with the hundreds of fairy lights surrounding the property. 

 

   The older Weasleys then came home from the pub, along with Fleur. They said their 'hellos' to their estranged cousins and then sat down to join them for a few pints.

 

  George was telling Benny all about WWW's new and upcoming inventions, including a new game he had coined 'Slaps'. It was exactly like muggle tag but instead of tagging people, you use your wand which emits a sharp pain when struck with it, similar to a slap, hence the name. 

 

  "Let's play!" cried Ron, clearly not learning from the previous hour that he was in no state for competition as he was even more intoxicated than before. 

 

  Unfortunately for the redhead, everyone was more than willing to partake in the game. 

 

   "Okay, everyone hide! Once the timer goes off, it's a free for all... and don't worry, Percy, I won't come after you first," George said wickedly. 

 

   "I'm not playing, I have an important floo call in 10 minutes." Percy sniffed seriously as he dismissed himself to the house.

 

   "Sure he does... Okay, ready? Run!" George said as he bolted behind the side of the house. 

 

 

 

   It was a gory battle... the eldest Weasleys were easy targets since they had far more to drink than the younger adults. Hermione and Benny had teamed up and taken out Annie and Fleur but had faltered in a four-way duel with Ginny and Harry. 

 

    Harry had then been taken out by a shot to the face from his girlfriend once they were the last ones standing, his glasses shattering and falling to the ground. 

 

   "I thought we were a team," Harry sulked as he walked back to his seat. 

 

   "All is fair in love and war, my little chosen one," Ginny replied smirking. 

 

   Charlie looked at his sister. "That's a win for Ginny then." 

 

   "Wait... where is Ron?" Harry asked curiously. 

 

   "Zzzzzzzzz."

 

   "Was that a snore?" Ginny said incredulously. She then started searching around the house for the sound and found a sleeping Ronald in a large bush by the side of the house.

 

     She looked evilly at the group and then dramatically flourished her wand, releasing her wrath upon her brother yet again. She sent a burst of spells upon him and his shrieks could be heard echoing throughout the valley. 

 

  Once she finally stopped, she sauntered casually back to the group, lazily plopping down on the bench.

 

  "I win." 

 

   She was frightfully calm in her victory and threw her long red hair over her shoulder as she downed a pint of butterbeer. The table stared at her in awe.

 

  "Those reflexes are going to win us the Quidditch House Cup this year," Harry said proudly, wrapping an arm around his girlfriend and future quidditch captain. "She's tiny but terrifying."

 

  Laughing slightly, Benny slid an arm around Hermione and whispered in her ear, "I didn't know what we were up against. She's gotten scary since the last time I saw her." 

 

   "So?" George winked at Benny. "How's your girlfriend? Is she transferring to Hogwarts too?" 

 

   Benny dropped his arm sheepishly. 

 

  "No, Vanya is going back to Beauxbatons, but I'll see her over Christmas break."

 

   Harry snorted from Hermione's other side. 

 

  "Shut up," she mouthed. She picked up his glasses from the ground and quickly repaired them, plunking them on his nose for the millionth time. 

 

   "There goes your chance at romance this year Hermione," he whispered. 

 

   "Maybe Cormac has a cousin." She sighed. 

 

 

  The group started yawning, sleepily sipping their drinks in the soft glow of the moon until the matriarch shooed them off to their rooms. 

 

  As soon as Molly and Arthur headed to bed, the rooms reshuffled. Ginny and Harry were now alone in her room, leaving Annie and Hermione to tiptoe to Ron's. 

 

   Annie got the spare bed meant for Harry, so Hermione was stuck with a drunken Ron. She got under the covers and big spooned him. 

 

  "Goodnight Won-Won," she teased. He grumbled something sleepily and nuzzled the pillow. 

 

   She was happy there was no awkwardness after their very sibling-like kiss a few months back. They were still best friends, to the point where they could cuddle in a single bed together and it wasn't odd. She sighed contentedly in the warm bed and tried to sleep.

 

   She awoke a few times, wondering why she was looking forward to school this year. Maybe because everything would be normal for once. There was no Voldemort, Harry was not in constant danger anymore, and she could focus solely on her studies and reading.  

 

  She laid there as Ron snored, thinking of new books and fresh parchment... and platinum hair. 

 

   After his trial, the Slytherin had been on Hermione's mind more frequently than she would ever care to admit. 

 

   There was something different about him now; the evil sneer had been wiped away and replaced by something mysterious.

 

  She wondered what school would be like for him as an ex-death eater... and if he would still be the prat she had known in the years previous. 

 

  She had seen the many rich women he had been spotted with during his little trips to Italy, France, and Diagon Alley, for it was always splashed across page 6. How he managed to charm anyone was something that perplexed her deeply....unless all the women were just as shallow and simpering as one Pansy Parkinson... was it possible he had a different side to him? 

 

  Hermione mulled it over for a few restless hours before sleep finally came... but her dreams were still filled with stormy grey eyes and a sneer that wasn't much like a sneer anymore.

Notes:

Uhhggg! Can we get to the Dramione already?? One chapter without is one too many.