Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:
2020-09-02
Updated:
2023-01-09
Words:
51,667
Chapters:
13/?
Comments:
200
Kudos:
591
Bookmarks:
68
Hits:
16,088

What Happens In Vegas...

Chapter 2

Notes:

Since I have so many chapters in the can already, I decided to release a few together to get this thing rolling a little bit before I start the weekly posting schedule. Hope you are enjoying the story so far!

Chapter Text

Jane pulled into Maura’s driveway before the sun was even up. After making sure to leave enough space for them to back Maura’s Prius out she grabbed her bag and the things she’d packed for Jo to spend the week with her grandma. Angela insisted it was easier to watch Jo at Maura’s than to have to go all the way to Jane’s everyday where the dog would be left alone all day. At least here she could play with Bass during the day. At least that’s what Angela kept telling her.

“Come on Jo, your buddy Bass is waiting to kick start your week long play date.” Jane called out quietly into the dark as she got out of the car, trying to coax the little dog to follow behind her.

Jo hopped out of the car and scurried across the dark driveway, she stopped at the side door and looked back at Jane expectantly, waiting for her to open the door. As soon as the door was opened Jo let out an excited bark and ran off into the house. 

“Maura! You almost ready? We need to head out soon to make sure we have enough time to park and get to the gate” Jane called out into the house as she closed the door behind her. Dropping her bag by the door she noticed a pot of coffee and hurried to pour herself a cup. 

“Good morning Jo!” Jane heard Maura call out brightly as the little dog ran past her in the hallway in search of Bass. “Morning.” She repeated to Jane as she entered the living room pulling a rolling suitcase behind her. 

“Hey,” Jane smiled as she poured a cup for Maura “I’m impressed. I figured you’d have a bag twice that size.” she said motioning to Maura’s luggage with her coffee cup.

As soon as the words were out of her mouth Jane rounded the kitchen island to hand Maura her coffee and her eyes landed on two additional, matching rolling cases. “Oh my god! We are going for less than a week, not five months!” 

“Jane! Not everyone can travel with what they can carry on their backs. It's a Medical Examiner’s conference. I have to look presentable and professional.” 

“And that means you have to change six times a day?” 

“No, but there are breakfasts, meetings, lunches, lectures and dinners. Each event calls for a different dress code and I need casual clothes for when you and I are hanging out.” She tried to  rationalize. 

“And the third case?” Jane wondered. 

“For shoes and accessories.” 

“Maura!” Jane complained with a groan.

“I also have my purse and laptop case with my files in it. You are just going to have to deal with it Jane.” she advised with a smirk as she drank her coffee.

“There’s no way all of this is going to fit into your car! I’m going to have to get my own ride.” Jane pointed out sounding frustrated “Speaking of, we need to hit the road.” 

“You’re being dramatic. Besides we have time. I hired a car to come pick us up. They will be here in thirty minutes.” 

“You hired a car?” She repeated slowly “… Like a limo?” Jane questioned eyes wide.

“No, I requested an SUV. Large enough to carry all of our luggage and allow for a comfortable stress free ride. Besides now we won't have to deal with parking and I don’t have to listen to you complain about getting all of the bags in and out of the car.” Maura explained easily “And this gives us time for breakfast. I’ll make omelets!I can even add cheese to yours.” she bargained with a grin. 

“Fine!” Jane threw her hands up like she was upset, even as she opened the fridge and started pulling out ingredients “You have yourself a deal!” 

 



Jane had to admit, the ride to the airport was nice. But even if she did enjoy just hanging out in the backseat with Maura along the way, she still felt like they could have split a cab and gotten there in one piece all the same. When she brought this point up over breakfast Maura just insisted that the car had been booked long before Jane agreed to join her on the trip. Another plus of this situation for Jane was having someone else take all of their bags to the check in counter for them. Jane did not miss having to fight with all of Maura’s luggage to get it all checked in on time. So she decided she was just going to shut up and stop complaining for the rest of the trip. That was until…

“First Class?!” Jane asked outraged when she was handed her ticket and given directions to the First Class Lounge from the man working the check in counter. “I can't afford First Class.” 

“I told you, it was my treat Jane. Don’t worry about it.” Maura insisted as they headed to the security line. Jane just sighed and followed behind the blonde. She hated when Maura bought her expensive things. Not that she didn’t appreciate it, she obviously did, she just didn’t want Maura to feel like she had to buy her friendship. 

Their trip through security was quick and painless, the airport was pretty empty due to how early it was. The only issue was Maura complaining about having to walk through security barefoot. “Do you know what kind of germs are on this carpet? Hundreds of people an hour all with their own fungus, bacterial infections, dirty sweaty smelly feet, all walking in the same space barefoot” 

“You could have worn sneakers like a normal person so you could go through with your socks on.” Jane pointed out as Maura slipped her flats back on. At least she wasn't wearing her four inch work heels. 

“They don't go with this outfit.” Maura pointed out, making Jane roll her eyes. 

“Can I at least buy you a cup of coffee?” Jane offered as they passed a Starbucks cart on the way to the lounge. 

“There is coffee and donuts in the First Class Lounge.” Maura informed her as she put her wallet back into her purse. 

“Really?!” Jane asked excitedly “Maybe this won’t be so bad.” she mumbled to herself.

Maura laughed at that “I didn’t book us on the bottom level of the Titanic. I assure you traveling in First Class is very enjoyable.” 

“I’m sure it is, I just don’t like you spending so much money on me.” 

“It's not a problem, I actually enjoy being able to buy you things.” Maura smiled as they entered the lounge. She had more money than she could really spend on her own, it brought her joy to buy things for Jane and her family when she could. 

“Holy shit! This is nicer than my apartment” Jane announced as she stepped in and looked around then headed straight for the table with coffee and donuts “You want one Maur?”

“No, thank you. I’m still full from breakfast” she answered as Jane handed her the coffee she’d already added non-fat creamer and a packet of Stevia to. “Thank you” Maura looked up with a surprised smile. 

“You don’t think I know how you take your coffee Maur? We have coffee together at least five times a week. Ten if you include repeat trips in the same day ” Jane laughed as she dropped down into the chair next to her taking a huge bite of her donuts. 

Maura looked over at Jane to respond, but could only laugh when she saw Jane had chocolate on her face. She reached over and wiped the chocolate off of Jane’s bottom lip with her thumb. Before she’d even thought about it, Maura lifted that same thumb up to her mouth and sucked the chocolate off, humming in appreciation at the taste while Jane just stared at her. “Okay maybe just one bite.” She conceded and took the treat from Jane’s hand, took a bite and handed it back. All while Jane looked down at her empty hand then back over to the woman sitting next to her to confirm this was actually happening. 

“That was delicious.” Maura admitted as she handed her back the donut with a sizable bite missing from the end.

“Yeah, well…get your own” Jane grumbled, still unsure of what she'd just experienced. She sunk down in her cushy chair to finish her donut and to wait for their flight to board. Maura just shook her head and pulled her tablet out of her purse to start reading the latest issue of her favorite medical journal.


Forty minutes later Jane was looking around wide eyed as she and Maura boarded the plane and took their seats. “This aisle is huge!” She commented happily as she bounced slightly in her seat for a second then stood back up to place Maura's computer bag in the overhead compartment for her “I generally have to request to sit in the emergency exit row so I have enough leg room.”

Maura nodded sitting down next to her “The average Coach seat only allows for seventeen inches of space between the end of the seat and the back of the chair in front of it. Given your height and the length of your femur, you require at least twenty inches of clearance for a comfortable fit.”

“What do you know about the length of my femur?” Jane asked in a mock offence.

Shaking her head at Jane’s antics, Maura chuckled “Given your height and length of your legs, it’s very easy to estimate, which tells me how much space you need to be comfortable.” she answered. 

“That’s guessing!” Jane accused, pointing a finger at her. “Which is the same as assuming” 

“It is an educated guesstimate, given extensive research and data.” Maura explained calmly. “I have never pulled out a measuring tape and held it up to parts of your body, but I am familiar enough with your body and its dimensions to make a solid estimate on your measurements” 

Jane gave her a strange look and decided not to ask any follow up questions. “Thank you for all of that great information.” She laughed as she buckled her seat belt and looked around. “I get my own TV!?” She asked in an excited whisper as the plane finally pulled away from the gate. 

“Yes Jane, everyone in Business Class and up gets one” Maura explained with an amused smile as the plane taxied up the runway.  

“Ladies, can I get you anything to drink?” A flight attendant asked some twenty minutes later as she came up the aisle after take off. 

“I didn’t get a menu or list of prices,” Jane said as she leaned forward to look in the pocket of the seat in front of her. 

Maura reached out and laid a hand on her forearm to stop her as the attendant started to explain “Our First Class passengers can order any beverages they’d like. We have a variety of juices, teas, coffees, sodas and alcoholic beverages.” 

“Oh. Well then too bad it's 8am, I could go for a beer.” Jane commented with a frown.

“We’ll have two mimosas,” Maura smiled politely. 

 Jane grinned “I like Vacation Maura, she’s fun!” 

“I’m not on vacation Jane, you are.” Maura pointed out without looking up from her tablet. 

“You don't check into the conference until tonight at 6pm, we are on vacation until then.” Jane reminded her as she figured out how to turn her tv on and started searching through the viewing options. “This is going to be the greatest six hour flight ever.” she grinned as she pulled out her phone’s headphones and plugged them in. 

Maura looked over to see what Jane was choosing between on her screen “Narrowed it down to Law and Order SVU or …” She leaned in to get a closer look and chuckled “A League of Their Own. I should have guessed.” 

“My go to show and my go to movie.” Jane nodded answering proudly. “Now I just have to decide which to start with.” 

Maura just shook her head and went back to her journal. “I still love that your favorite tv show is SVU” She teased with a smirk.

“Olivia Benson is my hero.” Jane replied easily and Maura just smiled at her over her tablet.  

“You are a much better Detective than she is.” 

Jane looked up with a surprised smile “You think so?” 

“Aside from the fact that you are a real detective, you manage to crack cases without beating up all of your suspects or breaking dozens of rules and getting called into the captain’s office every week. Honestly she has almost been fired in more episodes than I can count, and I have an excellent memory and the ability to count very high.” She pointed out with a smirk down at the screen in front of her.

“Hey!” Jane was officially offended “Don’t talk about Olivia like that. She just really believes in what is right and does whatever it takes to get her guy.” Maura just laughed as Jane hit play on a random episode. 

“Damn it Maura!” Jane complained as she pulled one of her ear buds out an hour into their flight.

“What?” Maura asked looking up confused. 

“Benson just got suspended.” Maura let out a loud laugh before she realized where she was and got her volume under control. “You just ruined the whole show” she complained.

“I did not.”  Maura defended herself but couldn’t stop from letting out another chuckle.

“You suck.” Jane complained just as the flight attendant came by and dropped off two more mimosas “No you don’t, I love you!” she amended happily as she sipped her drink. Maura just smiled as she drank from her own glass. “I could get used to this,” Jane admitted after taking another drink and looking down at her glass. 

“You know, you can come with me anytime I go on a trip for work.” Maura reminded her. “Or you can finally let me take you on vacation.” she added on with a hopeful smile. 

“I told you I’m no kept woman” Jane reminded her. “I’m not just going to sit back and let you fly me all over the country!” 

“World.” Maura corrected “I invited you to visit my parents home in Paris last time I went but you declined.” 

“Yeah… that was a mistake. Had I known about First Class back then I would have jumped all over it.” she quipped. 

“Watch your tv show Jane” Maura told her with a chuckle. 

“No I cant, you’ve ruined it. I need to watch something else now.” Jane replied dramatically as she got back to the main menu on her screen “Okay A League Of Their Own it is. If you ruin this for me, I'll never speak to you again.” She threatened.

Maura looked up and studied her face for a moment, she opened her mouth to reply when she realized, “You're joking” she pointed out, but the slight raise at the end told Jane she wasn’t positive. 

“Only slightly. But it is my favorite movie, so I would be really pissed.” 

Maura looked like she was debating something but then shook her head. “I won’t. I actually like this movie, I’m going to watch it with you.” she notified her as she held her hand out. 

Jane just looked at her for a few moments before rolling her eyes and handing over the correct ear bud and starting the movie. Maura repositioned herself so she was pressed against Jane’s side to get a better view of the screen. 

They happily discussed random parts of the movie until Jane turned to make a comment and noticed Maura was asleep with her head resting on her shoulder. She just smiled and turned back to the movie in front of her. 

Thirty minutes later the flight attendant stopped by to pick up their empty glasses “Did you and your wife want another?” She asked before noticing Maura was asleep. “Oh, I guess not.” she chuckled. “You two are adorable by the way.” She smiled at Jane as she walked away, leaving a surprised Jane speechless.

After a few moments of thinking about that comment Jane shrugged her free shoulder and went back to her movie. It wasn’t the first time someone had assumed they were together. Hell, they pretended to be together sometimes as a defense mechanism against guys they didn’t want hitting on them. Jane shifted around just a bit to make herself more comfortable and rested her head against Maura’s. Within minutes she was asleep too.