Actions

Work Header

Moonlight Densetsu

Summary:

Koushi Sugawara thought his biggest worry during his third year would be making it to nationals, but it turns out he-and his team-have been tasked with saving the world by a talking cat.

It'd be a lot easier to handle if Tuxedo Mask would do something worth a damn and Oikawa stopped blowing up his phone during class.

Notes:

so for those of you on my tumblr, you knew it was coming. i'm magical girl trash, and this brilliant (?) idea has been sitting in my brain for like ever. if you have monster ideas/minor plot points you'd like to see in this fic, please send em to me! monster creation sucks.

but you came here for boys in short skirts, didn't you.

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter 1: Guardian of Love and Justice

Chapter Text

Koushi Sugawara was having a wonderful day until the talking cat showed up.

He’d woken up to his alarm as per usual, grabbing a protein bar for breakfast on the go and only stopped on the way to morning practice to stop some kids from harassing a cat. They’d stuck some sort of hat on it, and he disposed of the offending item before rushing off again.

Practice had gone smoothly (or as smoothly as it could), and classes went by fast. Nothing suspicious, until he found that same cat waiting for him outside the club room.

“What are you doing here?” He asked, crouching to scratch behind it’s ears.

“I was waiting for you, Sugawara.” It replied, causing Koushi to fall backwards on his ass in shock.

The cat didn’t look bothered at all, instead it studied him with a level gaze. Koushi pinched his cheek, wincing slightly when it did, in fact, sting. “You just spoke.”

“I can do that and more.” The cat responded, bowing its head. “My name is Luna, and I’m here to awaken your true potential.”

Koushi looked around, making sure no one was watching him talk with a cat. “I’ve got practice, can it wait until after?”

“Absolutely not!” Luna shouted. “This is potentially a matter of life and death!”

Koushi raised a brow. “How so?”

“Monsters have begun to appear all around Miyagi. You’re the only one who can fight them off.” The cat then nudged forth a glittering brooch.

Koushi picked it up and inspected it. It didn’t seem like his style, but he did have to admit it was kind of cute. It was a rose gold circle with a pink gem in the middle, and smaller red, blue, green and orange gems on the rim. He looked back to Luna. “What do I do with this?”

“Transform.” She said as if it was the most obvious thing.

Koushi gaped. “Wait. Are you saying transform like a superhero or something?”

Luna huffed. “Or something. Technically, you fall under the ‘legendary warrior’ category, as Sailor Moon.”

“Sailor what now.” Koushi meant to ask more, but was cut off by approaching footsteps. Judging by the speed and weight, it was Kageyama and Hinata, racing each other to practice again.

He stood up, pocketing the brooch, and looked at Luna once more. “We’ll continue this discussion after practice, alright?”

And with that, he left the talking cat, wondering what the hell he had gotten himself into.

 

Practice had been a disaster. Koushi had been unable to focus, and had missed at least five sets. All he could think about was what Luna had given him. A superhero? Him? He couldn’t even stay on the starting lineup. He totally wasn’t salty about that, of course! Kageyama deserved that spot. And that whole transforming thing, what was up with that...

He was brought out of his thoughts by a hand on his shoulder. He turned to find worried chocolate eyes boring into his own. “You’ve been out of it all day, what’s wrong?”

Koushi turned, facing Daichi. “Sorry. I just have a lot on my mind right now.”

“You know you can always talk to me about it. Or Asahi. Or, hell, the entire team.” The dark-haired man reassured him.

“I know, but...” Koushi trailed off, thinking about how bizarre it would sound.

“You don’t have to tell anyone now. Just know we’re here for you.” Daichi grinned before ruffling Koushi’s hair good-naturedly.

God, he was such a dad.

“Yeah, yeah.” Koushi ducked out of his grip with a smile. “You should probably focus your efforts on Noya trying to jump onto the basketball hoops again.”

“Wha-NISHINOYA!” Daichi whirled around to find that the smaller boy was indeed attempting to jump and hang onto the rim of the hoop.

Koushi snickered, watching him for a moment before going to grab his gym bag and change. Luna was crouched into a loaf by the club room, and had just opened her mouth to speak when Hinata came bounding over. “Is that a cat?”

Hinata crouched in front of it as Luna let out a not-very-convincing meow. Koushi watched as Hinata held his hand out for Luna to sniff before patting her head gently, his heart melting at the sweetness. “It’s so soft! Is it yours?”

“Kind of?” Koushi fibbed. “She follows me around sometimes, but she’s not really mine.”

“You should keep her!” Hinata’s eyes practically sparkled as Luna began purring.

Koushi smiled before crouching to pet her as well. “Maybe I should. I’d have to check with my parents.”

That wasn’t a bad idea, though, taking Luna in. It’d keep them both under the radar, especially with this whole Sailor Moon thing. Plus he had a ton of questions to ask her, and the privacy of his bedroom was the best place for those.

Koushi picked her up carefully, making sure she was secure before walking into the club room and setting her down on top of one of the shelves before beginning to change. Beside him, Hinata began doing the same, as the others began to filter in. Most of them hadn’t noticed the cat until Asahi spotted it out of the corner of his eye and screeched. Noya grinned before patting her wildly, not even bothering to put a shirt on, causing Luna to meow in protest and swipe at his hand. It didn’t seem to deter him much, but Daichi just put a hand on his shoulder and gave him the Stern Dad™ look and Noya went back to changing.

Koushi had just finished changing when he heard his phone buzz, raising his brow. Who would be texting him? He swiped his phone open to find a message from an unknown number.

 

Unknown: yahoo, refreshing-kun! ヾ(☆▽☆)

 

Koushi raised a brow. Who the hell was Refreshing-kun? And how’d they get his number? “Hey, Daichi...”

“Hm?” His best friend turned to him, zipping up his jacket.

“You didn’t happen to give my number to anyone, did you?” Koushi asked, creating a contact for the number.

Daichi shook his head. “No. You know I wouldn’t do that without your consent.”

“I figured.” Koushi began typing out a response. “Must be a wrong number.”

 

Me: Sorry, who is this?

Stalker?: Σ(°ロ°)

Stalker?: how rude of me! not introducing myself

Stalker?: it’s Oikawa from Aoba Johsai!~

 

Koushi frowned. What the hell did Oikawa want? And with him, no less? Probably blackmail on Kageyama, but Koushi wasn’t the one to go to for that.

 

Me: Why do you have my number?

Stalker?: i asked tobio-kun~

Stalker?: i needed to talk to you about iwa-chan and sawamura, actually!

Me: What about them?

Stalker?: i think they like each other!

 

Koushi paused for a second. When the hell did Daichi start talking to Iwaizumi? Whatever, it wasn’t his business. Maybe it was Oikawa’s, but he wasn’t about to be dragged into that.

 

Me: Even if that is true, I’m too busy right now to play matchmaker. Maybe another time.

Stalker?: aw, suga-chan! don’t be a party pooper (ᗒᗣᗕ)՞

 

Rolling his eyes, Koushi shut off his phone and pocketed it, grabbing Luna and letting her slip into his bag comfortably. Waving a goodbye to the rest of the team, he began walking home alone, absentmindedly reaching into his pocket for the brooch. It felt solid in his hand, grounding him, and oddly a little warm.

He made it halfway home before Luna poked her head up, focused intently on something to his left. He raised a brow. “Is there an issue?”

“Yes.” She responded, not blinking or even looking away. “There’s a monster. Jewelry store. I think there’s a hostage, I can hear her cries.”

Koushi swore under his breath. “You’re going to make me transform or whatever and fight this monster.”

“It’s your duty, as the newest Sailor Moon.” She said as Koushi began running in the direction she told him. “Besides, once you’re transformed your speed and strength will multiply.”

“But I can still die?” Koushi grit his teeth, weaving his way through the streets.

“Technically yes, but you shouldn’t be alone for long. Surely the other scouts will awaken soon.” She ducked back in as he approached the jewelry store.

It didn’t seem like much was happening at first, but once Koushi peeked through the darkened glass he could see cases of jewelry opened and emptied. “You sure it’s a monster and not a thief?”

“Either way, you need to apprehend them. Duck into the alleyway and transform.” She told him, pointing a paw.

Koushi did so, pulling out the brooch. “So how do I transform?”

“Lift the brooch above your head and call out ‘Moon Prism Power Makeup”!” She jumped out of the bag and turned to face him.

Koushi sighed before sticking the hand holding the brooch straight up. “Moon Prism Power...Makeup?”

As soon as he had finished speaking, the brooch lit up, filling him with an almost nostalgic warmth, and he watched as ribbons flowed from the brooch, wrapping around his torso and legs. As the ribbons tightened, they solidified into a one-piece sailor styled (girls) uniform, complete with a large bow over his heart and a second bow over his tailbone. The skirt swished into fruition, settling just above midthigh, and he looked down to find knee-high hot pink boots, complete with a small amount of heel. He felt something settle onto his foehead and in his hair, and his earlobes suddenly felt heavier, as if he’d replaced his small studs with heavier earrings. The brooch disappeared from his hand, reappearing in the center of his chest bow, and gloves covered his arms to the elbows.

If cats could properly smile, Luna certainly would be, watching as Koushi twisted and turned, taking in the full transformation. “Am I supposed to have this short of a skirt?”

“Usually it’s shorter.” She snickered. “But rest assured you won’t flash anyone. Both your identity and your...purity? are protected while you’re transformed.”

“Interesting.” Koushi muttered, feeling his forehead to find a solid tiara resting there.

Luna looked back to the building. “Now for the hard part. Getting in and defeating the monster. If you use the front door, chances are good it’ll set off an alarm, and likely a trap.”

Koushi looked up and pointed at a window on the second story. “Think I could get in through there?”

She looked up, analyzing the distance. “You should. Hope your jump started decent.”

Koushi shrugged, picking up Luna and securing her on his shoulder. “I’m no Hinata, but you did say my strength was multiplied.”

He did a couple of test bounces to stretch and properly gauge how much power to put behind the jump before springing up, catching the ledge and swinging up onto it with ease. He grinned as he opened the window, slipping in and looking around. The second floor didn’t have much besides boxes of what he assumed was once stock but were now completely empty, further fueling his thief theory. Careful not to make any noise, he went down the stairs, peeking around the corner to make sure no one was waiting for him. The first floor was deserted as well, but a light from the employee-only room cued him in to where his opponent was waiting. Unfortunately there wasn’t a window on the door, so he had to crack open the door to peek in, still staying silent.

Inside was a scene straight out of an action film. A scared girl in pajamas was tied up to a pillar, and what looked like her mother was crouched over a monitor, muttering something about gathering energy for a “great ruler”. That didn’t sound good.

Koushi set a slightly confused Luna down before sneaking his way into the room, catching the girls eye. He held a finger up to his lips in a shush motion, and she nodded slightly before looking back to the woman at the computer. He looked around for something he could use to knock out the woman, but decided a simple chop to the back of the neck would probably do.

Luna watched with wide-eyed wonder as the newest Sailor Moon delivered a swift and powerful blow directly to the back of her neck, wincing as an audible crack was heard from her bones. Koushi froze as she crumpled to the ground, looking at his hand in wonder. No wonder Asahi always complained about his hits.

Shaking his head to focus, Koushi quickly made his way over to the girl, who on closer inspection was one of the second-years on the Karasuno girl’s team. She was still clearly panicked, and he attempted to sooth her as he undid the restraints.

“Who are you? Why are you here? Did you just kill my mom??” She fired off, scrambling to get up.

“Doesn’t matter, I’m here to save you, I don’t think I did?” He responded, turning to look back to where the woman was but only finding a very wrinkled...being facing him.

She(?) howled, causing Koushi and the girl to cover their eardrums, wincing at the pitch. Shaking it off as best he could, he dashed in to grapple her, but completely forgot about the enhanced speed and went flying into the monster, sending them both into the wall.

The monster moved to pin him to the ground but he held his arms up to protect his throat, struggling against its surprising strength. “Get out of here while you can!” He called to the girl frozen in the doorway, who nodded and fled the scene.

Koushi turned back to the monster, gritting his teeth and shoving himself away from it, landing halfway across the room with surprising grace. “You want a piece of me, you old hag?”

“You’re just some boy in a skirt, what the hell can you do?” It hissed back, getting up onto it’s feet.

Koushi snorted, balling his fists. “I’m Sailor Moon, and through the power of magical bullshit, I’ll kick your ass!”

They flew towards each other once more, Koushi ducking low to sweep its feet out from under it. It jumped, landing and throwing a punch, and with reflexes he didn’t know he had, dodged and grabbed its arm, throwing it over his shoulder and into the monitor it had been working at earlier. He grinned, barely even winded.

As it began to get up, Koushi watched as a pale white rose was flung directly into its chest, causing it to convulse. He whirled into the direction it came from, finding the silhouette of a tall person in a top hat and flowing cape standing in the same window he’d come from.

“Please tell me you’re not an enemy.” Koushi pleaded, causing the other to chuckle, a smooth and almost sweet sound.

“I’m no enemy yet, Mister Moon.” He turned, revealing a white mask and tuxedo, and Koushi tried to focus on their face but realized quickly that they likely had the same kind of magic protecting their identity.

Koushi rolled his eyes and focused back on the monster, seeing it had stopped seizing and had ripped the rose out. “Luna, how do I beat this thing?”

“Glad you asked, finally.” Luna walked up behind Koushi, tail curling around one of his ankles. “Take off your tiara and yell ‘Moon Tiara Boomerang’, and fling it at the enemy.”

He heard a snort from the windowsill, causing his eye to twitch. “Laugh all you want, asshole, at least I’m not the one flinging flowers like a tool.”

“Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?” The silhouette gasped as Koushi peeled off the tiara, eyeing it.

“No, but I kiss yours.” Koushi retorted, knowing he was being petty before grasping the tiara and calling out the words he was told, flinging it at the enemy.

Both Koushi and the silhouette watched as the tiara turned into a glowing Frisbee, flying straight through the enemy and slicing it clean in half. It let out a bloodcurdling screech as it began to turn to dust from the impact point, blowing away in the soft evening breeze from the window. Luna looked up at Koushi, who grinned.

“Well, I suppose my work here is done.” The hidden figure declared, causing Koushi to look at them bewildered.

“What are you talking about? You didn’t do anything!” He yelled as they swished their cape around them, jumping out of the window.

Koushi moved to follow him only to pause at Luna’s paw on his foot. “Bad idea. You’re likely worn out, and Tuxedo Masks are crafty. Let’s go home for now.”

With a start, Koushi realized that she was right, and that his energy had suddenly disappeared. Probably the Tiara Boomerang, it likely ran off his energy.

He nodded, and with another flash of light he became Koushi Sugawara again, and the duo headed home.

 

Koushi yawned for what felt like the millionth time as they were warming up for morning practice. He’d slept like a log, sure, but his body still wasn’t used to the strain of being Sailor Moon. He looked to where Hinata was bouncing up and down, talking animatedly with Kageyama, and wondered why Luna hadn’t picked him. But then again, Hinata would’ve made a disastrous Sailor Moon, not knowing how to handle the speed and strength at all.

He thought back to Luna’s talk about his goal, about how he needed to find the other four scouts in order to find the “legendary moon heir” so they could restore peace to the world. Koushi thought it was ridiculous at first, saying surely Sailor Moon would’ve been the moon heir.

“Not always.” She’d responded. “I’ve been around for many generations of Sailor Scouts, and while about half of the Sailor Moons have been the moon heir, the other half the time its someone who isn’t a scout at all. Who knows?”

Koushi shook his head. He didn’t need to focus on the moon heir just yet, he had to find his other scouts. He’d asked Luna what he should look for, but she gave him pretty vague stuff.

Sailor Mercury was the brains of the team, strategy oriented and able to keep cool. Sailor Mars was passionate, but still able to de-escalate any issues and serve as a steady presence. Sailor Jupiter was strong, with a heart of gold and usually with an unnerving exterior. Sailor Venus was feelings-driven, incredibly talented but easily distracted by love.

How the hell was he going to find those, and would he even be able to get along with them? And who was that stupid Tuxedo Mask?

Koushi groaned and faceplanted in his split, causing Daichi to look over confused. One thing was for sure though.

 

Koushi Sugawara was in for one hell of a ride.