Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
HP fics I keep coming back to, Unfinished fics waiting for update, Tomarry love it, And they were fanfics (Harry Potter), Reading 1, Alt HP, completed_Zmark, My Fav HP fics all in one place, Dragoneggs_Mark_for_Later, Best Harry Potter Crossovers, Ghost' s Slytherin Fics Completed Library, Violent Zombies Faves, 🫧Lux's fav fics🫧, Potter favorites (rheos), Недочитанное, Kaylen Finished HP Favs, HP FF that were really fucking good would Re-read, Long Fics to Read at Work
Stats:
Published:
2020-04-10
Completed:
2023-07-22
Words:
140,452
Chapters:
37/37
Comments:
969
Kudos:
10,682
Bookmarks:
3,333
Hits:
536,847

One Quiet Question

Summary:

Growing Up Harry learned many lessons for life such as being quiet is the best way to avoid trouble and don't ask any questions. What happens if during his first trip to Gringotts he goes against both of those lessons?

Notes:

I do not own Harry Potter, any of the characters or locations the only thing I can claim is the events of this story which is from my own twisted mind.

Chapter 1: Knowledge without Truth is still Ignorance

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

As Harry took in the contents of his vaults he was shocked about how much money he had after all his Aunt always complained how much money he cost him to take care of not that she tended to use much since he was forced to wear Dudley's old clothes, and barely got any food. This made him think of the times when he would clean his Uncle's office and had caught a glimpse of the family's checkbook when his Aunt left it out. He had noticed that his Uncle actually earned a lot of money from his job at Grunnings yet they were still getting some money once a month from an unknown source. So as Hagrid recovered from the next ride on the mine cart to the vault to pick up his package from the school Harry moved over to their guide. Not knowing what was the proper title he decided to just guess, "Master Goblin," only to stop at the startled look on the Goblin's face. "I am sorry I do not know your proper title," Harry said with a slight bow.

"It is alright young Wizard it is just rare to be shown such respect from your kind," Griphook said giving him what Harry guessed was a kind smile.

"Um, I was just wondering if it would be possible to get information on the status of my vault?" Harry asked.

"That can be arranged all you need to do is make a return visit to....," Griphok said but stopped when he saw the Wizard's face fall "will that be a problem?"

"Well I live with my family who do not have magic and I don't think I will be able to get back anytime soon," Harry explained. For though he was mostly left alone at home apart from his chores there would be no way that he could get back to London before he was to go to class and he somehow knew he should see them before he went to Hogwarts.

"That is actually easy to deal with before you leave I will give you a magical artifact known as a Portkey which will allow you to transfer back to the bank when you have some free time. I must say it is rather strange that your family did not come with you for even a Muggleborn, that is a Magical child from a non-magical family, usually is brought to the bank by both a teacher as well as their members of their family," Griphook said.

"Well my Aunt is not a fan of Magic and my Uncle is never home anyway," Harry said.

"Alright, we will make sure to give you one that is both easy to hide as well as easy to pass as an everyday object," Griphook said making a note on a small pad that he pulled out of his vest. By that time Hagrid had recovered enough from the ride to collect the contents of the vault for the school to end their conversation as Harry had learned long ago not to judge a book by its covers. He thought this applied to Hagrid twice over for the man was so large he appeared to be rather intimidating yet acted so kind and carrying but it could all be an act. After all his Aunt and Cousin would act as the perfect family to his uncle but if anything went wrong even if it was Dudley breaking something it was blamed on him. His Uncle whose job keep him out of the house most of the time would believe them over Harry who he was told was a violent troublemaker. When in truth Harry would rather be left alone luckily he found such solitude at the local library only staying at home to do his morning chores then going home at night to make supper, which due to some "problem he had caused" during the day he was never allowed to actually eat. His Uncle, however, never wanted to not feed him so he would at the very least get some bread and water unless his Aunt lied and said he had eaten before Vernon got home leading him to go hungry until breakfast. After Hagrid collected the package the small group of three rode back to the top level of the bank and as Hagrid once more took a little while to settle down from the ride Griphook took out an envelope which contained the Portkey as well as for instructions on how to use it and handed it to Harry.

 

The rest of Harry's visit to Diagon Alley nothing really happened as Hagrid would talk about how great Hogwarts was though he tended to only talk about a man named Dumbledore and one of the Houses, Gryffindor as if they were the only things good about the school which Harry found hard to believe. After the crowd invading his space when he had entered the bar, Harry made sure that his messy hair was covering his scar as much as he could, and having learned long ago how best to go unnoticed he was thankfully able to get by without another scene. In fact, the only other people who he interacted with besides some of the shop owners was a young boy as he was getting measured for his robes. The boy taking in his cousin's old clothes that were at least two sizes too large on him just let out a small scoff and lifted his nose haughtily in the air and made no other noise until he was told to go. Hagrid did get him a birthday present, of a small snowy owl telling him that owls were the best way to stay in contact with people not that Harry had anyone to talk to anyway. When it was time to leave Hagrid took him out to eat at a Muggle fast food joint having noticed how Harry had paled when mentioned they could eat at the Leaky Cauldron. Evidently having no experience with non-magical money Hagrid handed Harry some money to pay for their meal handing him a fifty-pound note for a meal that was only fifteen but at least he let Harry keep the change. Hagrid dropped Harry off at his house at Seven PM before he waved and just disappeared. "He could have at least helped me carry my trunk to the door," Harry thought to himself as he pulled his stuff up to the front door and tried the handle only to find it locked. He knocked a few times before he suddenly realized that to reach the island he had left that morning it had taken two days. "Great what am I do until they get home it is not like I could go the neighbors," Harry muttered before he suddenly remembered the thing he had gotten from the bank. Pushing his trunk behind one of the bushes by the door he began to dig through it until he found the envelope and opened it to find what looked like an American Quarter. He raised an eyebrow as he read the note.

 

Heir Potter,

To activate the Portkey and return to the bank just hold the object and say "Knut"

 

As soon as Harry read the word out loud he felt a jerk behind his navel as if he was a fish on a line while the world seemed to zoom by around him until he stopped almost falling to his knees in what looked like an office. Harry looked around seeing a couple of black leather chairs on one side of what looked like a redwood desk with a similar chair on the other side. There was a sound of footsteps as Griphook entered the office, "Ah Heir Potter I did not expect you so soon."

"I am sorry Master Griphook I was dropped off home and it was locked leaving me with nowhere else to go," Harry said.

"Ah it okay Heir Potter," Griphook said.

"Why do you keep calling me that?" Harry asked.

"What? Heir? It is a title given to someone who is in line for one of the Noble Family," Griphook explained.

"I come from a noble family?" Harry asked.

"Do you know nothing of your own family?" Griphook asked in shock taking one of the two chairs before the desk.

"I know nothing I did not even know my last name until I had gone to school," Harry said with a shrug.

"Well, I think the best thing we can do to let you start learning about your own family history is do something called an Inheritance Test which will inform you of who your parents, Godparents, any family lines you belong to, any vaults you can access as well as any strange charges to the vaults. It can also show any magical spells or potions you are under which due to how young you were when your parents died you may have some blocks that most parents put on their kids. Don't worry," Griphook said seeing the horrified look on the young Wizards face "if we find anything like that we the test also comes with a cleansing."

"I would like to do the test then Master Griphook," Harry said settling into the other chair. Griphook gave him another Goblin smile as he moved to the other side of the desk and pulled out a black parchment, a silver goblet, and a metal knife covered with what Harry would guess were runes.

"Now Heir Potter all you need to do is take the knife and prick your finger and let seven drops of blood fall into the goblet," Griphook explained handing him the knife. With some trepidation, Harry pricked his left index finger and let the blood into the goblet which glowed a soft golden brown as Griphook muttered something that Harry could not make out. Taking hold of the goblet the Goblin turned it over on the parchment, making Harry gasp, rather than some liquid as he predicted but almost what looked like silver string fell out. The string rested on the parchment for a moment before it was absorbed into the parchment and words began to appear on the page. In less than a minute it was finished and Griphook turned towards him. "Time to find out about yourself Heir Potter," he said as Harry picked up the parchment and began to read.

 

Harrison Orion Potter-Black

Parents:

  • James Claudius Black nee Potter (Bearer) Deceased
  • Regulus Alnilam Black (Sire) Deceased

Godparents:

  • Lily Marlene Evens (Blood Adopted mother) Deceased
  • Sirius Alnitak Black (Uncle) Incarcerated Illegally
  • Severus Tobias Snape (not claimed)

Lord/Heir:

  • Lord Potter: from Bearer (Claim fully after coming of age)
  • Lord Gryffindor: from Bearer (Claim fully  after coming of age)
  • Lord Peverell: from Bearer (Claim fully after coming of age)
  • Lord Emrys: from Bearer (Claim fully after coming of age)
  • Lord Slytherin: from conquest (Claim fully after coming of age)
  • Lord Gaunt: from conquest (Claim fully after coming of age)
  • Heir Black: from Sire after Uncle
  • Heir Ravenclaw: from Sire after Uncle

Vaults:

  • Potter Trust Vault
  • Potter Main Vault
  • Gryffindor Trust Vault
  • Gryffindor Main Vault
  • Peverell Main Vault
  • Emrys Main Vault
  • Slytherin Main Vault
  • Gaunt Vault
  • Black Trust Vault
  • Ravenclaw Trust Vault

Abnormal charges to Vaults

  • 1000 Galleons a month transferred from Potter Main Vaults to Dumbledore family vaults
  • 1000 Galleons a month transferred from Potter Main Vaults to the Bird Fund
  • 500 pounds a month converted from Galleons transferred from Potter Main Vaults to Dursley accounts

Magical Spells:

  • Core block 5% cast by James Potter applied at age one week old
  • Blood Adoption to Lily Evens applied at one-month-old
  • Horcrux attached to soul cast by Tom Riddle applied at age one year old
  • Core block 60% cast by Albus Dumbledore applied at age one year old
  • Loyalty geared to Albus Dumbledore, Gryffindor House, Light Side, Order of the Phoenix, Petunia Dursley applied at one year old
  • Hatred geared to Dark Side, Slytherin House, Severus Snape applied at one year old
  • Parsalmouth block 100% cast by Albus Dumbledore applied at age one (50% broken)
  • Intelligence block 60% cast by Albus Dumbledore applied at age one (25% Broken)
  • Eidetic Memory block 89% caster by Albus Dumbledore applied at age one

 

Harry no Harrison gulped as he finished reading the results of the test before passing them back for Griphook to read. "Oh dear it seems that a cleansing is in order Lord Potter," Griphook said getting out of his chair and motioning the young Wizard to follow him. "This might take a while do you know how soon until you are missed? Griphook asked as they reached a room with some strange designs drawn on the walls, floor, and ceiling.

"I think I have another day before my family gets home,' Harrison guessed with a shrug knowing it might be longer since Hagrid and he had taken the boat away from the island.

"Good that should give us enough times to give you the cleansing, as well as make sure you get your rings,' Griphook said handing the young Lord a pure white robe with golden runes stitched into it. "Now just put that on I will see to gathering your Lordship and Heir rings," the Goblin said staying with him until the cleansing began before hurrying out out the room. Based on the number and nature of the spells the young Lord had in his system Griphook knew the ritual would take a couple of hours so rather than gather the rings he went to report to the branch manager about the boy.

 

Harrison had thought that some of the beatings his Aunt or his Cousin and his gang had been bad but not now as he felt as if his very skin was being cut off him as the group of Goblins cast spells on him to cleanse him. He had been informed that everything except the blood adoption would be undone for that ritual had taken place at Gringotts under his parent's supervision according to their records but everything else was being removed from his system. When he woke up he felt lighter than he had ever felt before as looked around and spotted his glasses on a nearby table. Putting them on he saw that he was in a completely different room filled with beds only one of which was occupied by a Goblin who looked as if he had broken his arm. "Ah Lord Potter it is good to see you up," a Goblin dressed in a light greenish-blue robe said as they came over to his bedside.

"How long have I been out?" he asked worried that he would get home to find the Dursleys had found his new trunk and had destroyed it.

"Just over eight hours," the Goblin said "we had been able to get rid of most of the spells on you cleansed in less than a half-hour it was the Horcrux that made your procedure take so long."

"But I am fine now right?" he asked.

"You are as the humans say right as rain Lord Potter," the Goblin said.

"Thank you Master Goblin," he said with a bow seeing the smile come to the Goblin's face as they bowed back.

"Well if you follow me your Account Manager has told us to bring you to him when you finally woke up," the Goblin said helping Harrison out of bed and back to Griphook's office.

"Ah Lord Potter it is good to find you up and about it seems while you were getting cleansed I found out some troubling news it seems that your Bearer's Will had never been read after his and your Godmother's death those years ago," Griphook said gesturing to parchment on his desk next to a long black box.

"Only my Barer what about my Sire?" Harrison asked.

"Well as it turned out he had died before your Bared had and his Will had been read already," Griphook said reading from some of his notes. "We shall go over the Will after you have taken your rings though alright Lord Potter?" Griphook asked.

"Sure thing," Harry said with a shrug as the Goblin opened the long box revealing five sparkling rings and two plain ones.

"The five rings that seem to sparkle are your Lordship Rings while the rather plain ones are your Heir Rings," Griphook explained.

"Isn't one of the Lordship Rings missing?" Harrison asked recalling he had six Lordships not five.

"Ah the Gaunt Family ring is missing due to it being placed under some enchantments that can only be removed in person one of which is to hide it from locator spells or summoning it," Griphook explained with a hint of annoyance in his voice.

"It is alright Master Griphook," Harrison said, "is there a specific order I need to put them on in?"

"The rings should be put on in the order that they came out within your test," Griphook said as he handed over a Silver Crystal ring that had a P on the front. "All you have to do is slip it onto the middle finger of your dominant hand and let it read your magic," the Goblin said as Harrison slipped the ring onto his right middle finger and felt a surge of magic wash against him for a bit before it settled down as the ring re-sized itself to his finger. "Now as you grow the ring will grow with you and only you can remove them yourself," Griphook said handing over the next ring this one a sterling silver ring with a red gem, which took less time to accept him than the Potter ring before it merged together with the other ring. Soon Harrison had claimed all of his Lordships Rings as well as the two Heir rings as Griphook took out James' Will.

 

I, James Claudius Black nee Potter being of sound mind and body leave this last will and testament let all others before this be considered null and void. I must first say do not morn for me that I am dead for I am now back with Regulus until the rebirth of Magic. If I die my son is to watch over first by Lily Evens, Silverwing, I can not begin to tell you how happy I am that you decided to help me raise my and Regulus's son I know you will tell him all sorts of stories about us and keep us both alive. I also gift you the Peverell Secondary Vault for your own personal use. To Sirius Black, Padfoot, my brother in all but the blood that introduced me to the love of my life, I hope you will come around to see your Godson and share with him stories of Regulus as he grew up as well as teaching him some pranks I want him a second-generation Marauder after all. I also gift you the Gryffindor Secondary Vault to help you live until Walburga finally accepts you back into the family. To Remus Lupin, Mooney, my old friend the only reason you are not a Godparent is England's prejudiced Creature laws which also prevent me from giving you a full vault so I set up a vault in your name which will be refilled anytime it empties from the Emrys Secondary Vault. Remus, I also offer you this piece of advice live free, have fun, and for Hera's sake ask her out already. To Severus Snape I can only apologize for what I did to you in school I was a little jealous of your relationship with Regulus I know that does not condone my treatment of you. I want you to know that Regulus had selected you to be Harrison's Godfather before he vanished and died. I have chosen to honor his wishes so please treat our son well. To Peter Pettigrew I leave nothing for at the making of this will you are my Secret Keeper which if I die by Voldemort you are the cause of it.

The order that my son is to be watched over in case of my death is as followed: Lily Evens, Sirius Black, Severus Snape, Frank Longbottom, Amelia Bones.

People who should never get my son, Albus Dumbledore, Bellatrix Lestrange, and due to Blood Adoption in case Lily dies her sister Petunia.

As it is to whoever takes my son in is to be paid 1000 Gallons a month until he reaches the age of maturity from the Potter Main Vaults

To Harrison, my son I wish I could have watched you grow up just know I would be proud of you no matter what you do or become. Live well, laugh often, and beware of Albus Dumbledore it is due to him and his war that your Sire and I died.

 

Harrison found tears in his eyes as he finished the Will and jerked as Griphook patted his back holding out a tissue. "There there Lord Potter let it out," Griphook said as the young wizard cried for a long while. When he was finally able to stop he looked up to see that the Will had been copied a couple of times.

"Master Griphook?" he asked.

"Ah since this is the first time the will has actually been opened let alone read since it was given to us we need to send copies of it out to the people who are given something in it," the Goblin explained. "Now I know this is highly irregular but it seems that not only had someone prevented the wills being read they also sent you to live with that was not on the approved list, however until you are of age you must live with them at least until you finish your first year at Hogwarts. Since you have one more day until the time you gave me they are meant to get home I would suggest you buy not only a meal, but also these books which should help you better understand the Magical World," Griphook said passing over a sheet of books that included How to Write With a Quill, A Beginners Guide to Latin, Hogwarts a History, Magical World a Muggleborns Guide, and finally Noble is as Noble does: a Guide to Pureblood Culture for Muggles and Halfbloods.

"Thank you Master Griphook I assume to get back home I use the Portkey again?" Harrison asked

"That is correct just make sure you are holding everything so it will travel with," Griphook said shaking the young wizard's hand having grown quite fond of him in the short time they had been together.

"Um, Master Griphook is there a way I could visit the bank again so you can help me learn from these books?" Harrison asked.

"You can return to the bank at any time young Lord but unfortunately I would be unable to help teach you," the Goblin said seeing the young boy's face fall "however, the bank does offer classes for Muggleborns and their family's to attend as they enter the Magical World for a small fee of a Gallon a person."

"I would like to enroll in that is it a daily class?" Harrison stated.

"Well I say class but it is more like one on one tutoring sessions whenever you are available to take it between Goblin hired teachers and all family members who wish to learn," Griphook said making the boy smile as he left the office. Making sure his hair covered his scar once again Harrison exited the bank and blinked in the sunlight having been inside the bank for almost eleven hours now. As the Dursleys were not due to get home until around maybe six pm and it was only nine in the morning he had nine and a half hours at most to spend in the Alley. He immediately went to Flourish and Blotts to pick up the books that Griphook had suggested. As he was getting them he noticed some other interesting books and grabbed them as well so rather than just the five books he walked out of the store with twenty all of which dealt with learning to live in the Magical World as well as an autobiography of a famous Muggleborn and how they learn to live Magically. Glancing at his watch Harrison saw it was now almost midday. Deciding he would use the change from the meal with Hagrid yesterday to eat in the Muggle World he quickly stopped by the supply shop to pick up spare parchment and quills so he could learn to practice without using up all his school supplies. As he was heading out of the Alley he stopped at a sign that advertised an expandable bag: Keep Everything in Just One Bag, and purchased one so he did not have to explain to any Muggle about his bugling bags of strange books or quills he was caring around. His shopping done and his stomach rumbling Harrison walked out of the Alley and to a nearby restaurant to eat leaving the rest of the Muggle money behind as a tip before he used the Portkey to go home just in case his Uncle drove fast due to his anger.

 

Arriving back at #4 he tried the door again and found it still locked so he pulled his trunk out of the bushes thankful that Hagrid had talked him to let the owl out of its cage to hunt rather than find a hungry and angry bird on his hands. Out of curiosity he wondered if he could get his trunk into his new bag and decided to try it to his utter delight he was able to get his trunk into the small bag which thankfully according to the Witch that sold it to him and explained how the bag worked he would not have to lug his trunk around for the bag no matter what was inside it always felt like it weighed no more than six kilograms. Having really nothing else to do he sat down on the front steps and pulled out one of his new books and began to read it. The book was so fascinating Harrison shut out the whole world until a cry of "Boy!" caused him to look up. "I thought you decided to got to that school Boy why are you back here already?" his uncle asked his face a little red with anger as Harrison quickly moved to the side so that he could unlock the door.

"The term does not start until September first," Harrison explained hoisting his new bag onto his shoulder and going to enter the house only for Dudley to shove him aside making him almost fall into the bushes. As he righted himself his Aunt passed him by head raised high nose in the air like the boy in the robe shop had done the day before.

"Hm and how long have you been waiting out there on the front porch?" Vernon asked as Harrison entered and shut the door behind him.

"I returned around Seven PM last night I believe," Harrison said deciding not to tell them that he had shortly made his way back to the Magical area again.

"You have been outside for almost twenty-four hours? Did none of the neighbors offer to take you in?" Vernon asked confused for yes the boy might be a little strange and according to Petunia somewhat violent but still to leave him outside overnight what if it had rained.

"They did not," Harrison said raising his eyebrow at his Uncle who balled his fist at the three simple words spoken with such a casual tone. "Oh you must be starving," Vernon said placing one of his meaty hands on his nephew's shoulder "Petunia be a dear and whip up some of your delightful Bacon Breakfast Platter."

"Oh, what is the occasion?" Petunia asked poking her head out of the kitchen doorway and glared at seeing her husband with his hand on her freak of a nephew's shoulder.

"Harry has not eaten since yesterday and that is just the thing to fill him up," Vernon said leading Harrison into the living room.

"Ah I will need his help to make it," she lied for in truth it was Harrison who cooked most dinners and several of the breakfast including that one, for the family with her taking the credit for them.

"Nonsense the poor boy has been out there all alone with no food or drink for almost a full day he needs to recover I am sure you can cook it just fine without him there to help for once," Vernon said making Harrison lay on the couch before he went to get the boy something to drink not noticing his wife silently fuming. A half-hour later the family sat down at the table and began to eat. After only a few bites all but Dudley spat out the food. "Are you feeling alright Petunia love this appears to be undercooked?" Vernon asked using his fork to push around a half-cooked piece of bacon which was sitting next to a rather runny serving of scrambled eggs.

"Yes, that must be it," Petunia lied.

"I wish Harry had been the one to cook it like normal," Dudley muttered making Vernon shoot a startled look at his son as his wife paled a little.

"What was that Dudders?" Vernon asked.

"I said I wish Harry han cooked dinner like he normally does not mom," Dudley said

"Always?" Vernon said shifting his gaze between his pale wife and his nephew.

"How often do you cook our dinner's Harry?" Vernon asked at last. Harry quickly looked at his Aunt and gulped before answering,

"Unless it some big event I tend to cook every night apart from weekends." Vernon sat back in his chair shocked Petunia always told him Harry had just help finish the meal and then serve it not make the entire thing. A cold feeling of dread came to rest in his stomach as he thought about all the times he had made his nephew not eat the food that he himself prepared as punishment for something Petunia had told he had done that day.

"Harry do you have any control issues with your magic?" Vernon asked making both Petunia and Dudley gasp at his use of the M-word.

"Not really apart from the glass at the zoo, the last time I lost control was last year when I was running from Dudley and his gang and ended up on the roof of the school," Harrison said.

"Gang?" Vernon said shooting Dudley a look and making his son gulp in fear at the expression on his father's face. Vernon turned to his wife as he asked, "You told me that Harry's magic causes a lot of problems here like it acting out and breaking things was that at all a lie?" Petunia got if anything even paler as she shook her head no.

"Harry do you prefer Dudley's old clothing or was that a lie as well?" Vernon asked turning to his nephew having a sinking feeling that everything his wife and son had ever told him about the boy had been a lie.

"Not really I just did not think you could pay for anything else for me to wear," Harrison said, "but I found out at the Wizarding back when I went to get money for supplies for school that you were getting money to take care of me."

"And we do Petunia just told me that you did not need clothing as you liked Dudley's old clothing," Vernon said. Harrison had to stop himself from snorting and making a joke about what was not to love about dressing in clothing that he could use as a parachute. "Harry I think the two of us need to have a little chat one on one before you go to bed tonight alright?" Vernon asked. Harrison nodded his head at his Uncle. "Alright, then lad why don't you go help yourself to something in the fridge as I talk to your Aunt and Cousin for a bit and I will be right up to talk to you in your bedroom."

Notes:

So it seems I have picked up a troll on my stories, so I am going to explain a few things. First, all troll comments will be deleted without a single second of thought. Two I tag very clearly my couple and usually who is the top and who is the bottom in the relationship, I prefer a bottom Harry, so if you do not like it do not read it. Also since the troll has assumed my gender I will reveal I am a cis-male who is a Homoromantic-Asexual.