Actions

Work Header

Let me tell you a secret, I'm no human

Summary:

You hid away from your family, from your responsibilities, from the whole world, in hopes that no one would come searching for you. But what to do when you are the Alpha and are bound to figure out all the shiz that is going on. Monsters are emerging from the underground. Hunters are starting to act strange. Strange disappearances in the forest. All the while, your personal space is being violated by the skeleton brothers.

You look at the sky and sigh. “Well, shit.”

(WARNING. This work is written by a not english speaker, and there might be many grammars fails, read with understanding.)

I'm starting to get tired of reading fanfics where the reader is a submissive puddle and allows everyone to do what they want.
In this Fic you can find:
*Soulmates
-The reader is first to know they are soulmates
*Sexuality
-I have different OC and OG have different sexualities
-Original Papyrus might be Asexual, idk, haven't decided yet
*Gender
-I will try my best to make Gender Neutral reader
-All kinds of gender can be found in the fic
*BDSM
-BDSM will be part of this fic eventually
-Safewords and teaching the correct way to use them

Notes:

So i'm sure you have heard this before, but this is my first fanfic, I have never written more than an essay at school. So enjoy!

(Chapter 1, rewritten)

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter 1: Where does all of this begin (and where does it end)?

Notes:

Ama start rewriting this story because I am not satisfied with it anymore.
(Chap 1, rewritten)

Chapter Text

Where does all of this begin (and where does it end)?

 

Have you ever felt like you are doing something over and over again? And you can't break out of this endless cycle, no matter how hard you try? Is it just boredom, or have you gone crazy? You can’t tell anymore.

 

For you, life is something precious. Everyone and everything deserves to have a chance for life, but somehow, your own life has become irrelevant to you. You have been stuck in this limbo of numbness, where no matter how hard you try, you can’t seem to find any emotions. Days turn into weeks, weeks into months, and months into years. But what are those days, weeks, months, and years to somebody like you? Somebody who can’t feel the flow of time itself. You are cursed, cursed with longevity so long that one could call it immortality. 

 

You are part of an extensive world hidden from human eyes, a world full of creatures out of fantasy and mythology books. Creatures that have different appearances, powers,  instincts, hierarchy … you name it. One could find such a creature anywhere in society if one knew where to look. One could spot a creature basking in the sun, grocery shopping or even giving a speech on the TV. They hide and blend with the humans, playing on the same playgrounds, going to the same schools, and working the same jobs. Even in the world of supernatural creatures, your kind is known to be just another fairytale. For even them, your existence is a miracle. You and your kind are bound to live longer than any of the known creatures. Many different names have named your kind; pixie, fairy, haunted spirit, elves, but none of those was the correct term. 

 

You are a dryada. 

 

A spirit born within a tree, growing intelligent and stronger over the years. For dryads to be born, there has to be a strong concentration of magic. There are few places in the world with strong enough magic for a dryada to be born. Hence there are so few of your kind, so few that in all your life, you have never met anyone like you. 

Dryads reach adulthood when they have collected enough magic in their roots to turn it all into a physical body that resembles a human. After that, the body will work as the vessel for the mind while your life essence stays in the tree. It means that your mind will be transported back into the tree even if the human body dies. Of course, dryads will suffer a strong backslash, but they will at least survive. But dryads aren’t immortal. If you cut down the tree that serves as their true self, it is game over. Humans were always scared of dryads. Their ability to turn human and their main body being a tree made it hard to hunt them down.

 

On a wide clearing, there stands a large oak tree. Its size can be compared to a small mountain, as it towers over the clearing. Its crown of leaves, so thick and dense, covers the clearing like a dome. At the same time, its thick and long roots disappear underground. Who knows how far they reach? On one of the lower branches, a wooden swing was attached. 

 

It was evening, or was it already night? You swing back and forth, feeling the gentle summer breeze on your naked feet and face. Your thoughts, far away from this place. 

 

A small gentle smile is playing on your lips. 

 

You take a deep breath, the smell of summer flowers fills up your nose, along with the smell of gasoline and gunpowder.

 

The sky was colored beautiful colors of red, orange, and black, smoke black. Soon you felt the scorching heat, the fire, it was near. 

 

You could hear screams and pleas for you to help them, to save them. 

You closed your eyes.

You could hear your soulmates, crying your name out in worry and pain. 

 

You smiled a gentle smile, as you felt pain penetrate your chest. 

 

As the blood streamed out your mouth, your last smile was colored red.

 

As your soulmates screamed your name, your hands let go of the swing.

 

You fell. 

Chapter 2: Pack p.1

Notes:

One more chapter, it looks like you guys liked it.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

*Present*

 

Your loud sneeze broke the silence. You are standing in one of the many bedrooms of your cottage, which is at the foot of Mount Ebott. Quiet and tranquility surround this place. It is thirty minutes from Marka town, which makes this place deserted. 

 

You are covered in dust from head to toe, it has been a long time since you last cleaned this place. Or to be honest, when was the last time you cleaned any room that you don’t use in this huge house? You let your gaze wander for a moment, when was the last time you have been in this room? When was the last time you have been to any of their rooms? An old wooden bed standing in the corner catches your attention. You slowly make your way toward it, making sure not to trip over any buckets of water and bags of trash. You gently sit down on the edge of the bed, gazing down at the childish bedsheets. You lift your hand to touch the fabric but abruptly stop, your hands are black from the dust and dirt. How long have you been living here alone? You don’t remember. 

A long time ago, this place used to be your pack’s place of residence. The seven of you built this cottage together, so everyone had enough space, but now dust and dirt covered all this space. 

 

 You look down on your hands, black from the dust and dirt. The shower looks really tempting right about now, but not before you are done cleaning this goddamn place. You slap your thighs in an attempt to motivate yourself as you get up from the bed, this will be a long day with cleaning. As you continue wiping the dust, your mind wanders to your pack again. 

 

You accidentally became the packs Alpha. How can you accidentally become an Alpha of a whole pack? Let’s say it’s challenging for you to think when you are suddenly woken up. At that time, you didn’t fully understand what being an Alpha really meant, so that day you just waved them away with the words, “I can be anything you want, just let me sleep for another five minutes.” The happy screeching that followed didn’t really help the sleeping part. A few years later, did you find out that they had planned all this from the beginning to catch you at the most vulnerable time.

 

Your inner pack consisted of six creatures, not counting you. Zero, and Argent, werewolves, brothers, if they are blood-related, still stays unknown. They were the first to appear in your life and bring trouble into the said life. Leng and Kuang were second to appear, two little kitsunes that looked like two werefoxes to you at the first meeting. Then out of nowhere, Victor appeared, a vampire of unknown origins. Lastly, naga Uso was to make his appearance. A nice cocktail, quite explosive, you would say. First, there was no day without a fight, and then they were like besties at a good party. Fought with others and supported each other. Yes, they were a pretty dangerous group of children. And children they were. 

 

*Flashback: First pack member - Zero*

 

It was a quiet night in the forest, on a rare occasion an owl could be heard in the distance. A slow wind ran through your leaves, making them rustle in return. This night was calm and tranquil like any night before it. But nothing lasts forever.  You were awakened from your peaceful daze by the screams of humans and their loud footsteps. The second thing that struck you was the feeling of death. Someone was dying. You were searching for the source of that awful feeling when you saw a black shadow running not so far from your roots. The shadow was running in the opposite direction of the hunters, the shadow was tiny, and it took you a second to understand that it was a wolf pup. Even in pure darkness, you could see that the pup was injured and leaving a bloody trail behind. The pup had a small headstart from the humans, but it looked more like they were playing with him. Even today, you do not understand what made you act, but you acted fast. You still didn’t have a physical body, so you used the magic you collected in recent years. As in a deep bow, the nearest tree leaned toward the puppy. Its frightening-looking branches caught the little intruder and tried to tie him up without causing any more harm. And you hoped that the darkness and the distance were enough so the hunters wouldn’t hear or see anything. 

 

The little thing was fighting back, and he was not going to give up so easily. But to you, his attempts were non-existent, the branches holding him securely. His small frame reminded you more of a cat, too skinny and frail. Were all wolf pups supposed to be like that? You were sure that the answer was a no. He is so tiny. Why were the hunters after him? But the sudden end of the struggle surprised you. Has the little thing lost too much blood? But your worried thoughts were interrupted by human footsteps. They have reached the point where the blood trail ended. Seeing how many hunters there were, you couldn’t stop the idea of what they will do to you if found creep into your mind. 

 

“Where did that parasite go?”

“The bloody trail stops here.”

“How did we miss him?”

“Search around. That monster couldn’t possibly run away.” 

“Is there a hole under the tree?”

 

More than ten humans began to discuss with each other. Their voices were like thunder in the silence of the forest. The little thing is still not moving, which makes you even more worried. “Just leave,” you thought to yourself, “You will not find anything here.” As if having heard your pleading, one of the hunters said, “It’s past midnight, and we are in the middle of nowhere. This parasite will not survive with such injuries. I say we head back to the village.” He looked like a group leader because everyone listened to him and started heading back. 

 

When you no longer sensed humans, your mind and soul relaxed. “You are okay, and you are alive. Nothing happened.” In your panic monologue with yourself, you almost forgot about the little thing still tied up. With the help of your magic, you put the little thing next to your main tree. Your leaves began to rustle from what you saw. Blood, a lot of blood, how the pup is still alive, you do not know, but he is alive, it is a fact. You can still feel life from him, a small pulsating green ball of life in his chest. You have never done this before, but your instincts tell you that you can heal him. But you may not have enough magic to do it. You need to do something. Otherwise, he will not survive. You focus all your magic on the small ball with life. Fail . You can’t give up. Fail . Come on. Fail . Please. Fail . You see the ball getting smaller and smaller. Is that all you can do? Just watch?

Notes:

Yay the end, I thinked I will never be done with this chapter!

Chapter 3: Situation without a way out

Notes:

Chap 2 and 3 were rewritten, I also re-edited the chapter to be more gender-neutral. (Tell me if I missed any)

Chapter Text

No. There is one thing.

 

You felt that guilt had already begun to dwell in you. You looked around at the trees that surrounded you, they did not have a mind, but they instinctively understood what you were going to do and supported you. 

 

You looked again at the little thing, at the life energy that was oozing out of him. With the support of other trees, you became determined, you closed your eyes, and concentrated. Life energy, which was not yours, poured into the magic that was healing the pup. Even with your eyes closed, you could see how the ball of energy grew more prominent, and more stable. At some point, everything stopped. You opened your eyes and saw that your magic completely healed the pup. There were no traces of injuries under his thick black fur. That’s a slight relief. Your eyes were glued to the pup, unwilling to raise and be met with what you have done. To you, it seemed like centuries passed before you got enough courage to lift your eyes, and you could not stop the trembling that ran through your entire body. Some of your old leaves slowly fell to the ground, the ground where there used to be fresh green grass, now was brown, withered, dead. Slowly, oh so slowly, you lifted the gaze that fell on a tree nearest to you, at least what was left of it. All trees twenty meters away from you were withered. Just like grass, flowers, and mushrooms, everything living was dead in a twenty-meter radius. You felt exhausted from the picture in front of you and the overuse of your magic. The branches gently let go of the pup as you felt yourself falling into a deep slumber, guilt still eating you from inside.   

 

*Back to today*

 

Your loud sneeze has raised a cloud of dust around you. You rubbed your nose viciously because today it was your nd sneeze. Enough for you today. Usually, you didn’t even clean in these rooms, but Zero said you would have guests. It unnerved you because your pack thought that you were lonely in your big house. After your pack moved to the Marka town about a few decades ago, you were pretty lonely. You were not used to the silence of the house. But your pack does not need to know about it, and they would again start worrying about nothing. Sometimes it seems that you are not the Alpha, but a small child who was for the first time left alone at home.

 

You used the next hour for a slow hot shower, rinsing away the accumulated dirt. Water always reassures you, it makes you forget about everything and just focus on the hot calm water. As you leave the shower, humming a low tune to yourself, you get dressed. What is next on your to do list? You mentally go through what you have done today, feeling the tiredness sink in. Guess you can skip straight to your job/hobby, do something you enjoy. You have tried many professions and many hobbies in your life. Now you concentrate on mechanics, cars, motorcycles, boats, everything that falls under your hands. But you don’t like to repair them, you prefer building them from scratch.

 

Exiting the bathroom on first floor, you head towards the backdoor towards your backyard. The wild flowers, weeds and overgrown grass greets you. You never seem to have the energy to fix your backyard. Following the small stone path, made out of small boulders, you head deeper into your backyard. Your workshop is located a little further away from your house, it’s own separate building. You open the unlocked door, the loops being satisfactory quiet, and the light comes alive with a clicking noise. It was a wide bright space, one could compare it to a mechanics workshop. the only difference would be that one corner of the worksop did not have cement as it’s floor but earth. As if the cement there was cut out, and replaced by earth, on top of that piece of land a sofa stood. It’s your favorite nap place, being a dryada you prefer being connected to earth at times when you sleep. Next your attention wads caught by the parts laying around all over.

 

Your eyes wandered, looking at every piece, every part, the picture coming to life in your mind as you saw it become more alive with every touch. But sadly you had a few important parts missing, without them your dear 1957 Eldorado Brougham will not be itself. You take a deep breath in and get to work. You slowly sink into the comfort of work, forgetting the world around you. You were so concentrated that you didn’t notice how it was already noon. 

 

You felt the presence of three individuals entering your house, you forgot that you would have guests. Groaning from the uncomfortable position in which you were sitting, you get up and try to return the blood to your limbs. You leave your workshop and unhurriedly head towards the back door of the house. You can feel three presence in your home, one supernatural and two ... monsters?

 

“... thirty minutes walk to the city, but usually no one comes here.”

 

You know that voice, werewolf, from the white side. This is strange. Usually, one of your pack members comes by themself just because your pack members will not miss their chance to bother you.   

 

“NYEH HEH HEH SANS LOOK AT THIS LARGE KITCHEN, GREAT PAPYRUS CAN PREPARE GREAT SPAGHETTI HERE”

 

“That's pasta-tively amazing.” 

 

“SANS STOP WITH YOUR TERRIBLE PUNS”

A small grin creeped it’s way onto your face, the first voice was loud with childish undertone. On the other hand, the second voice was said with a lazy undertone, but too monotone to your liking. You appeared at the doors leading to the kitchen and froze for a second from what you saw. Two monsters, or rather two skeletons, were in your kitchen.

 

The first to whom your attention fell examined your kitchen appliances. He was tall, taller than you, about 185 cm (6 ft 1 in), you, with your 162 cm (5 ft 3 in), reached his shoulder. His clothes looked like… armor? Red boots, red gloves, and a red scarf. What caught your attention were the visible bones. You apparently looked for too long because the skeleton you were looking at turned to you.

 

“WOWIE, HELLO HUMAN, YOU MUST BE OUR NEW LANDLORD. I’M, THE GREAT PAPYRUS, IT’S NICE TO MEET YOU!”

 

One thing caught your attention in his sentence. Landlord? Without changing the smile on your face and relaxed posture, you quickly glanced at the werewolf. She was sweating, her green core pulsating with nervousness, almost panic. She answered with a trembling voice;

 

“T-that's right, Papyrus Alp... Y/N is your new landlord and roommate.”

 

With every word, she became more and more nervous. Finally, she then addressed the answer to the skeleton... Papyrus, but it was actually aimed at you. Great, what can we understand from this?

 

First: Those two are going to live here with you. 

 

Second: You know the reason why none of your pack came but sent someone else.

 

Thirdly: The werewolf knows that you know nothing about landlord things and is almost unconscious from panic. 

 

This day is becoming more interesting with every minute. 

 

All your thoughts took you only a second, and your calm look turned back to Papyrus. He was still looking at you with his bright eye lights and a broad smile (teeth? How do they stretch into a smile?) on his face. What a ball of positivity, your first impression of him is pretty good so far.

 

“I guess I am your new landlord and roommate. I’m y/n, I am also pleased to meet you,” you spoke slowly, almost lazily. You usually did everything leisurely and relaxed. You have no reason to rush.   

 

“HUMAN, YOU ARE SO NICE, YOU HAVE A BEAUTIFUL KITCHEN”

 

There is that word again, human. Does Papyrus think you're human? So they also do not know with whom they will live. It's nice to know that you're not the only one here who knows nothing. Your thoughts were stopped due to the intense look that was directed at your back. You completely forgot that there are two skeletons. You turn your attention to the second unknown skeleton. He is frowning. At least you think so. You’re not used to the skeletal way of showing emotions. He is still glaring at you, or rather, at your chest area. You step back and look at the small mirror next to the doorway. You look in the mirror, trying to find the reason why he is looking at you. There you see your usual h/c, your e/c eyes, bags under said eyes, and the scar that crosses your lips vertically on the left side—no oily stains or paint on your face or clothing that you expected. You look at the skeleton with a raised eyebrow. It seems that he does not see you at all. He is still looking at the area of your chest. Is he a pervert? But the situation was saved by Papyrus, who was fuming over the perverted skeleton. 

 

“BROTHER, WHERE ARE YOUR MANNERS?!” 

 

Are they brothers? This fact made you smile a little. It’s pretty interesting, such different vibes.

 

This exclamation knocked out the second skeleton from whatever daze he was in. He slowly gets up, his gaze now directed at his brother.

 

“Sorry, bro, I had a Skele-ton of thoughts for a second.”

 

He turned to you with a smile on his face (skull?). Now that he is standing in front of you, you can see that he is below you, about 140 cm (4ft 7in). He was wearing a blue hoodie with a zipper, a simple white T-shirt underneath, and short black shorts with white stripes on the sides. When your eyes fell lower, you could not stop the smile, which became larger. On his feet were pink fluffy slippers. Your gaze snapped up again when he began to speak.

 

“Bone-jour pal, I’m sorry if I was rude. I’m Sans, Sans the skeleton.”

 

Even if you cannot read skeletal emotions, you have had many years of experience reading other people. Outside, he has a relaxed posture and a smile on his face. On the inside, he is tense, his eye lights follow your every move, and you can even feel the light hum of magic. He is ready for the moment when you do something wrong, and he will act. What made him so nervous? 

 

A slight, quiet growl caught your attention. The growl was so soft that the skeletons did not notice it. It was a werewolf who was worried a few seconds ago. Now her instincts tell her to protect her Alpha from danger. Her claws slowly began to lengthen. Teeth slowly started becoming more dangerous, eyes glowing dim gold. She did not turn completely, but she was ready to defend.

 

A heavy sigh almost broke from your lips. You now have two creatures almost on edge in your kitchen. Great. Not that it’s the first time, it has been worse, much worse. But you are too lazy to deal with all this right now. You send the werewolf a warning look. She immediately ducks her head. Then, making sure the werewolf is not going to act, you look at Sans. You have an idea.

 

“Hello Sans, you’re a humerus one, aren’t you?” saying this, you slowly reach out with your palm up towards him, but you make it look like you are just too lazy to move. But, of course, you’re trying to show that you are harmless—the amused grin on your face.

Chapter 4: Sans pov

Chapter Text

*Sans POV*

 

The barrier fell four months ago. For four months now, we have been living on the surface—four months of struggle for our fundamental rights for living. We have been under constant observation from the human side. We were given abandoned houses for a living, and there was too little space for all of us. We couldn’t even buy anything. Humans didn’t want to exchange our gold for their currency. At the moment, we were trying to survive. Humans were not happy to see us, and this is an understatement. At first, they wanted to destroy us all. Our king and queen tried to protect us. But even that was in vain. But in the end, when the HoPe was dying out, we received help from an unexpected side.

 

The first day on the surface was also the first day we met Humans. Frisk had a plan, which consisted of the most harmless-looking monsters meeting the humans first. Papyrus, of course, volunteered to be in the front row. I followed him without saying anything. If things get worse, I can protect them. ~ You said it before, but how many times have they already died? ~ I ignored my thoughts and focused on Humans. Or rather, the emotions they showed. So many different emotions were on Humans’ faces. Surprise. Panic. Anger. Disgust. But they did not attack.

They looked at each other, argued with each other, but did not attack. Why? Because you looked harmless? (I doubt it.) No, there was something else. 

 

Later we learned that there were supernatural creatures in this group of humans, as we thought at the moment. Creatures that were not wholly human or monsters, and that saved us at that time. They later realized that we were not supernatural beings and distanced themselves. For four months, they only spectated.

 

The Marka city at the foot of Mountain Ebott that we reached was famous for its inhabitants. (At least they told us so.) The population consisted of over 40 different races, over 40 races that lived in peace on the same territory. Almost half of the population is supernatural, and that affected how the city was ruled. This city was ruled by supernatural beings more than humans, and they were the real leaders behind the curtain. Supernatural beings occupy many high posts in politics. Even the city’s mayor was under their thumb. So the one and only ruler of this city were the Alpha, the supernatural leader of sorts. This was rather strange because human society was not aware of the existence of the supernatural. At least not many knew about it. 

 

The king and queen met with the supernatural leader, and we received so much needed help. With the help of the supernatural, we pretty quickly got our rights. We could exchange our gold, and the Humans no longer watched us so tightly. Unfortunately, there were not enough buildings in the city for us to live in. Therefore, while building new ones, we were placed in different houses that could accept people. This was not the best solution, but it was still better than being crushed together in an abandoned house without heat and water.

 

So, my brother and I are standing in the kitchen of a cabin located in the forest. A supernatural being drove us here, Ricky, she was a werewolf, so the whole trip was filled with questions from an excited Papyrus. Not so long ago, I myself learned on my skin (ha) that they are very territorial and protective of their family, so I tried not to ask personal questions. Instead, I asked about the place where we were going to live.

 

She told us that we would not live alone. It was expected because due to the lack of places to live, many monsters lived with some person or creature. When we arrived, I was in shock. The cabin was massive. Outside I already could see a two-story building with an attic on the roof. Inside the place, at first glance, I could see that someone was taking good care of the house.  

 

Ricky led us to the kitchen, where Papyrus was bouncing back and forth. He was happy, and I could not desire more. Maybe it won't be as bad as I thought? We talked a bit with Ricky when a human (?) appeared in the doorway. She was the embodiment of relaxation. Her e/c eyes went through the kitchen and settled on Papyrus. Papyrus, of course, as always, was the first to start a conversation. She smiled when she spoke to Papyrus, but there were no emotions whatsoever in her eyes. Her eyes were a bottomless emptiness, almost dead. I began to sweat involuntarily. The last time I saw the same eyes, I stood in front of the mirror after Papyrus’s death. What has happened to her, for her to be like that? I was going to check her soul for her HoPe stat and...

 

Nothing.

 

Nothing?

 

I tried again… and again… but no matter how many times I tried, nothing happened. I could not see her soul. I, The Judge, cannot see her soul. 

 

What does this mean? It doesn’t matter. She is dangerous. ~ I will protect them.

 

“BROTHER, WHERE ARE YOUR MANNERS?!” 

 

I was jolted out of my thoughts by my bro. Then I heard it, not quite a kind growl that was behind me. Ricky is not happy, so the human (? Who is she? Not to know is frustrating me even more) is connected. I cannot act without information, and the King and Queen said that we must behave well. ~ Maybe she is not bad?~ No, I used to think the same way about them. And how many times did my friends die? I can’t make the same mistake again.

Chapter 5: Smile outside, confusion inside

Notes:

PAY ATTENTION if you are going to read my fic in future, I will use super as a reduction of word supernatural.
Like one super in the house, means one supernatural creature in the house.
Thank you for attention.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

*Your Pov*

 

It seemed like it was the right decision because you could see the tension drop from his shoulders. He is still careful with you, but you no longer feel the magical buzzing around you. His smile was more sincere when he shook your hand.

 

“Tibia, honest, that was a good one, buddy.”

 

“UHHHH, BROTHER, YOU HAVE A BAD INFLUENCE ON THE HUMAN!! HUMAN DON’T ENCOURAGE MY BROTHER!!”

 

Yes, you like the tall skeleton more. Well, now that you have got rid of some tension in the room, you have a few questions for the werewolf. “Papyrus, how about you and your brother go and choose a room for yourself? All rooms are empty except the farthest on the second floor. This is my room. And before I forgot, I did not have time to clean the second floor so that it can be a little dusty there.”  

 

“OF COURSE, HUMAN, AND DON’T WORRY, I, THE MAGNIFICENT PAPYRUS, IS NOT AFRAID OF SOME KIND OF DUST!!!!!” 

 

Aaaand he left, at least he took his brother with him. You think that it will not take them very long, so you need to act quickly. But, you still have an interrogation to do. You turn around and discover that the werewolf is trying to merge with the wall. You lift an eyebrow at her. That’s all you need to do before she begins to “pour out her soul” with panic. 

 

“A-alpha, it was the boss’s order t-to bring them here. He said that there was too little space in the city for all the monsters to get a house where they would s-stay. If I quote him: “Tell her that while sitting at home and not leaving for the city, she skips all the entertainment, so the entertainment came to her.” Iwantedtowarnyou, Alpha, butthebossaiditshouldbeasurprise.” She stuttered and muttered at the same time. She seemed to be trying to express all the words as quickly as possible, but the tongue did not keep up with her mind. You have only one question left.

 

“How long?”

 

“Hu-uh?” She looks like she didn’t even expect you to speak with her. The same story happens every time you are in the city. The city is your territory, so everyone who lives in the town is part of your pack or an outer pack. If you explained the situation with your pack, you would describe it as a kingdom. You are the “king” (your self-esteem is clearly not low), your first six members of the pack are “nobles,” and all the other supernatural creatures that live on your territory are “commoners.” The “commoners” are afraid of the “king” who can turn their lives into hell. Therefore, every time you are in the city, the supernatural recognizes you are scared of you. That's why you don’t like to be in the city. You cannot even travel far. Not because of the pack (your "nobles" do their job perfectly), but because of your nature. Your main body is a tree, which is in one place without movement. Your human body also cannot go very far from the tree.  

 

You are sighing in your mind, as not to scare the female werewolf further. You try for a second time. 

 

“How long do skeletons need to stay here?” 

 

“Boss said two to three months. Builders are working at a fast pace, but there are just too many monsters.” Her eyes do not meet yours. It turns out your floor is more interesting than you expected. 

 

You don’t like the idea of sharing your personal space with someone you don’t even know. Heck, you don't even know anything about monster culture. While you were complaining in your head, you heard a loud stomping from the stairs. You only had time to blink once, and the next moment Papyrus stood in front of you, with Sans tucked under his armpit. (? Or what should you call it? Between the humerus and rib cage?) While you were thinking about correctly describing the view in front of you, Papyrus has already begun to speak.

 

“HUMAN YOUR HOUSE IS SO BIG , IS IT REALLY OKAY FOR US TO CHOOSE ANY ROOM?” 

 

Your smile did not falter even for a second from his volume, but inside, you waved goodbye to quiet days in the next two / three months.

 

“Any room you like, except my room, can be yours.”

 

You see how his eye lights literally turn into stars. How easy it is to make him happy, at least you think that the stars in his eyes mean that he is happy. You get confirmation of your thoughts when he begins to laugh and makes a victory pose, raising his right hand.

 

“ NYEH HEH HEH, I THE GREAT PAPYRUS HAS CHOSEN THE BEST ROOM FOR MYSELF AND SECOND-BEST FOR MY BROTHER!!!”

 

How can anyone be so proud to have chosen a room? You guess it's just part of Papyrus’s charm. You could not resist teasing this cute skeleton.

 

“What about my room, Papyrus? Does this mean that my room is not the best in the house?”

 

You got a reaction from Papyrus, but not the response you expected. Papyrus looked almost horrified. His voice got a rise in volume.

 

“OF COURSE NOT HUMAN!!! EVEN IF I DID NOT SEE YOUR ROOM, I AM SURE THAT IT IS ONE OF THE BEST!!!”

 

“It's alright, Papyrus. I just teased you, don't take it to heart.” 

 

You tried to calm Papyrus, but he still looked a little horrified. You should be more careful in the future so as not to scare this poor skeleton even more. You glanced at Sans so that he could help to calm his brother down, but this sack of bones was fast asleep in a chair. Or, at least to an inexperienced eye, it would look like he was sleeping. He was watching everything that was happening. Huh, so he was not so easy to befriend like his brother. The moment you came closer to Papyrus to pat him on the shoulder, Sans opened his eyes and stared at your raised hand. Okay, understood, look but don’t touch. Slowly you moved your hand to open the cabinet that was hanging on the wall next to you. From there, you got cookies that were stored for special occasions, but you think that the skeleton in distress is enough of a special occasion—time to bribe your way to this skeleton.

 

“I will forgive you if you eat the cookies I made.” 

 

This is kind of a lie. You helped make cookies by putting them in the oven. That’s all you did. You are many centuries old, but you still cannot cook. Even if you follow the recipe exactly, what you have prepared is deadly to living things. One member of your pack once said that you might be cursed. After many attempts over the centuries in making something edible, you agreed that yes, you probably were cursed. 

 

“I WILL GLADLY TAKE THIS COOKIE!!!! I DIDN’T MEAN TO OFFEND YOU, HUMAN. I HOPE WE STILL CAN BE FRIENDS!!!!?”

 

How can someone say no to such sweetness? But, then out of the corner of your eye, you saw that Sans closed his eyes again. That’s good. We don’t need a skeleton on edge.

 

“Of course, we can be friends, Papyrus. You will live here for a while, so we must be kind to each other.”

 

You looked at the perverted brother when you said this, but this time he was indeed sleeping. Papyrus was celebrating with his pose again.

 

“Okay, now that you have chosen your room, you can maybe start unpacking your things.”

 

It was an unexpectedly wrong move because the moment you finished talking, Papyrus just kind of dim. The easy-going atmosphere the moment ago was gone. It was replaced by tension. Even the female werewolf was looking down and clenched her fists. The perverted skeleton answered your silent question. 

 

“We have nothing with us. It was not allowed to take anything with us from underground.”

 

And everything clicked into place for you. Humans, afraid of monsters, didn’t allow them to bring anything from underground. Magic was too scary a concept for humans. They didn’t know what could be a weapon.

  

How the hell are you going to get out of this situation?

Notes:

Someone said my chapters are too short, I will try to change it, but I will ask you to understand that even short chapters take me hours to make radeable for you. And I like to post short chapters, but post more often. Thank you for attention =)

Chapter 6: Evening

Chapter Text

You cast a glance in the werewolf's direction, silently asking if she could take this two shopping or buy them clothes herself. She shakes her head at your question and points at her phone, then at your pocket. Getting the hint, you swiftly take out your phone and look at it.  

 

Message from Argent:

 

You probably forgot, but tomorrow is hunting day, most of us will be out of the city.



Your short interaction doesn’t go unnoticed by the skeletons, but you don’t care at this point. A small sigh escapes your mouth as you understand that tomorrow you need to go to the city. At least now you know that most of the supernaturals will be on a hunt for a week or so. With his white faction, Argent will be left defending the city, and the black faction led by Zero will be responsible for the hunt. Hunt on the hunters, how ironic.

 

*Flashback: Second pack member - Argent*

 

The night was in full might, and the moon is shining brightly above you. As you awoke from your slumber with a shiver, something or someone was touching your roots. You don’t know how long you have slept, but not long as you can judge. The grass around you was still as withered as it was when you fell asleep. The shiver went through your body again, pretty unpleasant, may you say. As you looked down to see the situation, you found a tiny little body hastily digging a hole under your roots and your body. You needed a second to proceed. Not every day, someone is digging holes under you. At a second glance, you recognize the small body. It’s the same pup that you saved. You didn’t find any injuries on his body. He looked relatively healthy (his thinness was unnatural for sure). 

 

A slight crying/whining noise caught your attention. Next, five meters away, sat another wolf pup. His fur was all dusty and dirty, but you think under all that dust, his fur is that of white color. His eyes are bright blue, like the sky in the daytime. Another whine left the white pup’s mouth. The next moment the black pup was at his side, yipping and yapping something. How old are they? And where are their parents? 

 

Your leave caught the first raindrop, then the second and third, and then the downpour started. The poor pups were immediately soaked wet, the white one whining so brokenheartedly that you couldn’t stop yourself. You slowly moved your roots till you made a small burrow. The white pup was terrified and was on the verge of running away. The black pup stopped him. The black pup was first to enter the burrow. After checking it, he pushed the other one inside. 

 

*Present*

 

You look up and are met with still dim Papyrus. So, instead, you sigh again and say. 

“It’s too late to go anywhere today, but what about going to the city tomorrow morning? And buy you all some necessities.”

  

Papyrus immediately perks up and has stars in his eyes again. 

 

“SANS, WE ARE GOING TO THE CITY TOMORROW!”

 

“Sans-etional news, bro.” 

 

“SANS!!”

 

The smaller skeleton lifts his hands, a massive grin on his skull. This time you sigh out loud. You are too tired for all this. You send the werewolf away, both skeletons reluctantly letting the werewolf go. Papyrus picked two rooms on the second floor beside each other, and with his help, you cleaned the rooms pretty fast. Sans, that lazy sack of bones was sleeping while supporting himself against the wall. Luckily both of the rooms had beds from before, so you only need to change the sheets. After you are done, you are covered in dust again. You show the skeleton brothers where the bathroom is on the second floor to take a shower. You try not to think about how they will wash (you can probably ask another time.) You decide to use the bathroom on the first floor. 

 

*One shower later*

 

“Okay, guys, I’m heading to sleep. You know where the bathroom and the kitchen are, you can take anything you want. There is a big chance that I will wake up pretty late, but not late enough for our shopping plans. Good night Papyrus. Good night Sans.”

 

“GOOD NIGHT HUMAN, I HOPE YOU WILL HAVE SWEET DREAMS!”

 

“Night, pal.”

 

It is the last you hear before you close the door.

Chapter 7: Morning and the drive

Chapter Text

*Morning*

 

Everyone’s morning starts with coffee or tea or whatever people drink in the mornings. But not yours. A loud bang comes from downstairs, and your eyes fly open, and your body is already rolling out of bed into a defensive stance. Everything is quiet. You need another second to remember that you are, in fact, no longer living alone. You take a deep breath and place your hand on your fast-beating heart. It’s like the old days when everyone and everything tried to give you a heart attack. 

 

You feel like you will not fall asleep again, so you decide to face fate face-on. You pick up your fallen blanket and change your clothes into something comfortable. After a second thought, you put on yourself a hoodie. You leave your room and accidentally use too much force to close your door as it slams shut. Great. You strolled down the stairs, noting that everything was still quiet. You slowly entered the kitchen, and you had to stop dead in your tracks. There was dough, if you had to guess pancake dough, everywhere, all over the floor, your cabinets, and even on the dining table. And in the middle of all that stood terrified Papyrus, in the dough too, you pointed out for yourself, and he was hopelessly trying to scoop some of the dough back into the bowl—totally forgetting that everything was seeping straight through his bones. Your eyes locked with Papyrus, and he just froze, like a mouse looking at a cat. But your gaze competition was interrupted by Sans. He stood in front of his brother. He was sweating, and he had a nervous grin. His hands are lifted in the ‘I give up’ pose.

 

“Hey pal, don’t sweat it. If you can talus where the rags are, we will clean everything in a second.”

 

“How punny of you, Sans.” 

 

You say in a straight voice and sigh. You turn around, not seeing Sans flinch. You can’t say that you are angry with them or anything. You are used to the mess. You even kind of missed it. You sigh yet again and go on an adventure hunting down the needed rags to get rid of this mess. You come back with a bunch of rags and two buckets with steaming hot water. You see Sans whispering something to Papyrus, maybe in an attempt to cheer him up. But seeing you, Papyrus looks back on the dough-covered floor again. How many more times are you going to sigh today? Probably a lot.

 

“Papyrus, there’s nothing to worry about. It happens with everyone, let’s clean this up, and you can have another attempt. What do you think?” 

 

Papyrus is now looking at you, and his eye sockets are getting suspiciously dump, but a small hopeful smile creeps on his face. 

“ARE YOU NOT ANGRY HUMAN FRIEND? I DESTROYED YOUR KITCHEN AND BREAKFAST, AND I EVEN WOKE YOU UP!”

 

“Destroyed is a strong word Papyrus. Nothing happened that can’t be fixed. We will clean everything up together, and as I said, you can try making another bunch. And I needed to wake up soon anyway. In the end, I did promise to take you out shopping.”

 

When was the last time when you have talked so much? You can’t remember yourself. You crouched down and leisurely started wiping the floor, more like smearing the dough further than actually cleaning. Papyrus was fast to follow suit. He energetically was wiping the floor, a big smile on his face again. And even the lazybones was helping out with the cleaning, you and him having the same pace of cleaning. 

 

“DO YOU LIKE COOKING, HUMAN FRIEND? I HAVE PAID ATTENTION, AND YOUR KITCHEN IS PRETTY… EMPTY.”

 

“You can call me y/n Papyrus, and I am indeed not fond of cooking. No matter how much I try, it never comes out edible. So often, I have someone bring or cook food for me. If you need anything out of the equipment, we can buy it today if we will have enough time.” 

 

Papyrus sprung up and now was looking at you and waving his hands around. “NO NEED HUMAN Y/N! YOU HAVE ALREADY GIVEN US SO MUCH. YOU LET US STAY AT YOUR PLACE AND EVEN WILL GO OUT SHOPPING WITH US!”

 

“It’s just y/n,” you say in a tiny voice as you start thinking of how to persuade this cinnamon roll. “What about you cooking for me too while you live here? I will be paying for the kitchen utensils you need me to buy, and I will pay for our groceries. What do you think?”

 

With a loud *click* Papyrus’s mouth shuts as he stares at you and then surprisingly quietly asks, “You want to eat my cooking?” Your nod is enough for him to erupt into a loud and bright laugh. 

 

“NYEH HEH HEH!! OF COURSE, A HUMAN FRIEND WANTS TO TRY THE COOKING OF GREAT PAPYRUS!!!” With renewed energy, the skeleton moves at lightning speed, cleaning everything up in half an hour. After another half an hour, you have a bunch of steaming pancakes on the table. You can’t hold in your moan as you taste the pancakes, not seeing the flush of orange on one of the skeletons. You are not regretting one bit asking the skeleton to cook for you in the future. If you get to eat like this every day, you can die happy. Only the thought of you needing to go to the city today is darkening your mood, but you fastly drown it in food.

 

*Two hours later* 

 

You decided to drive on your latest car that you built, which happens to be a black jeep with an open back. As you roll before the entrance to the cabin and roll down the window, you can hear Papyrus’s loud exclamation, “WOWIE.” That makes you smile. You are pretty proud of yourself for the work you have done on this jeep. “Don’t just stand there. Jump in.” It’s enough of a hint as Papyrus jumps into the front seat, Sans the lazy bones, just plopped onto the backseats after some struggle to get into the car. “Well, buckle up. We have an hour till our destination.” You say loudly and press on the gas without waiting for an answer. Sans almost ends up on the floor, while Papyrus is grinning and laughing loudly. You can’t stop but think about how old he is. It’s been long ago since you have seen such childish pureness. Somehow it eases you up, and the whole trip to the city is full of Papyrus excited exclamations and questions.

 

You arrive at the mall’s parking lot without a problem. Papyrus is first to jump out of the jeep, soon followed by Sans. You are left alone in the car as you gaze at the people entering and exiting the mall. Your head falls on the steering wheel with a small bang. All calmness that Papyrus brought upon you is now gone, and you just want to turn around and ride back, but you promised Papyrus. With a sigh, you put on your cap and your hoodie on top of that and exit the car. As you now gaze at the mall before you and an eagerly waiting Papyrus, you murmur, “Here goes nothing.”

Chapter 8: Forgotten who you are

Chapter Text

You adjust your hoodie as you pass the skele brothers. They give each other a look but don’t comment on it otherwise. Your strangeness was forgotten as Papyrus looked around with excitement a second later.

 

“LOOK, HUMAN, THERE ARE SO MANY HUMANS HERE!”

 

He was chatting excitedly. You only had time to nod along here and there. As Papyrus politely pointed out, there are many people in the mall today. Nice weather, early summer if you remember correctly, and everyone crawled out of their houses for some “family,” “friends,” or “whatever” time. You walk a little behind the skeletons, but you can see people getting out of your groups’ way even then.

 

Suddenly, the busy shopping mall entrance quieted down. You could hear only low whispers and the sound of cameras going off. You thought people were somehow used to monsters, but it looks like you were wrong. As every gaze is concentrated on your companions, the tension grows more substantial. Even without being in the midst of all this attention, you feel unnerved. You look at Papyrus and see how he is frozen in place. The corner of his teeth is now down, and there are orange beads of sweat on his skull. Sans, on the other hand, is standing protectively before Papyrus. His skull is littered with even more sweat. He has a wide nervous grin on his skull. You are used to the people’s gazes. Being an Alpha, you had to get used to it. But now you aren’t in the middle of attention. 

 

On the other hand, it feels like everyone has forgotten about you again. You have been only a spectator, a shadow, for many years now. You watched as the events slowly flowed past you. As your pack grew and gained wisdom, you stood by every time they made mistakes and just made sure they didn’t kill you all. You have long since stopped taking care of them. But at this moment, right now, you feel like you had fallen many years back when someone still needed your protection.

 

The tension is growing bigger with every passing second. You decide to break the silence by taking two steps forward and giving the tall skeleton a slight push on the lower back. Somehow your voice comes out husky and deeper than intended.

 

“Let’s go, Papyrus. I don’t have all day .” 

 

Your voice worked magically as everything suddenly came into movement. Awoken by your words, Papyrus looks down at you with a bright smile and says in a loud voice. 

 

“OH, I’M SORRY, HUMAN! I THE GREAT PAPYRUS WAS JUST CAPTIVATED BY THE BEAUTY OF THIS PLACE!” 

 

You can object to this statement, but you choose to ignore it, and this time you take the initiative to enter the mall. With every step you take toward the mall, you feel that the day will not go as smoothly as you would like. You decide to go for the three most needed stuff, clothes, food, and kitchen utensils, with that in mind. You have no intention of staying longer than needed. Making sure that the brothers are still following you, you head for the map. 

 

“WHAT IS THIS HUMAN?” Papyrus asks, looking at the earlier named map. Some teenage girl dropped her phone from his loud voice and was now intently glaring at Papyrus. 

 

“This is a map, Papyrus. It will help us locate in this jungle of different shops.” 

 

“ARE WE GONNA VISIT ALL THESE SHOPS?! WOWIE, IT LOOKS SO AWESOME, HUMAN FRIEND!”  

 

You tell him that you will visit only a few of them with a heavy heart, as you have some other stuff to do at home, which is a lie. But you don’t want to stay. Just that teenage girl who is now cursing beside you is good enough of a reason. Papyruss’ shoulders go down, and his voice is a little quieter as he says.

 

“THE GREAT PAPYRUS CAN UNDERSTAND IT, HUMAN FRIEND, WE CAN ALWAYS COME ANOTHER TIME, RIGHT?!!!” 

 

Papyrus addressed the last part to Sans, who was suspiciously quiet. Sans was almost glued to Papyrus’s side.  He is facing the flow of people, his eye lights wholly gone. His teeth are stretched into a grin. But his expression changes back the moment Papyrus speaks to him.

 

“Of course, bro, sounds like a plan.” 

 

He says in a monotone voice, and you are not even sure if Sans heard what Papyrus said. You decide to brush it off, as you have other stuff on hand. And that is how to find the right place you need to go. After 5 minutes of just staring at the map, you decide to go in a random direction. 

 

*A few stores later.*

 

You fall exhausted on the bench, bags of clothes rustling when they hit the floor. You are at the entrance to a toy store that Papyrus wanted to go to. Since the store was small and you could see the couple even from the bench, you decided to give yourself time to rest. You fix your hood and crunch your neck to ease the build-up of tension. These two are literally kids. Whichever store you visit, Papyrus has always found kids’ clothes the most adorable, and you really don’t mind him wearing them, but the stores never had the right size for Papyrus. 

 

On the other hand, Sans was looking for clothes that were too big for his size. Whether Sans did this on purpose or not, you don’t know. But you will forever have the image of Sans in a large enough flannel for the ends to simply drag along the floor wherever he goes. You sigh again and look at the brothers, Papyrus was in the puzzle section, and Sans found himself a toy bed to sleep in. Sans’s blue parka catches your attention. And your eyes are drawn back to the bags on your side, and somehow even though Sans was trying all kinds of different clothes, in the end, he ended up buying clothes only for Papyrus. You tried asking Sans about it, but he always dodged the question with his puns. Only one reason came to your mind, and that was that he didn’t have enough money. You do not know how much the monsters received in exchange for their gold, you do not care, but when you came into contact with the brothers, you cannot stop yourself but to care. So you offered Sans to pay. The next moment you could see his eye lights fading and his teeth spreading into a broader smile than usual as he refused your proposal. He was then dragged away by Papyrus, and you didn’t ask him any further.

 

“HOW DARE YOU TWO FILTHY THINGS ENTER THE MALL IN BROAD DAYLIGHT?!?!”

 

You are dragged out of your thoughts by a screeching scream. You look up and see a woman stand before Papyrus and Sans. She was fuming with rage and pointing at the brothers. Here comes the trouble, you sigh as you lift yourself from the bench, not forgetting to take the shopping bags with you. 

 

“HOW DID THE SECURITY EVEN LET YOU TWO IN??? LOOK HOW YOU SCARED MY DEAR CHILD!!!”

 

Now that you moved nearer, there was, for a fact, a child hugging the woman’s thigh and bawling his eyes out with a screech on his own. Sans raised his hands, palms forward to look less threatening. He stood in front of Papyrus. Sweat was trickling down his skull. On the other hand, Papyrus was panicking himself, he tried to utter something, but the woman immediately shut down his attempt.

 

“I’M S-”

 

“WHAT??? NOW YOU WANNA TRY AND THREATEN ME? YOU ALL ARE MONSTERS ! WHO DID EVEN LET YOU LIVE ON THE SURFACE? YOU ALL SHOULD HAVE DIED IN THAT UNDERGROUND OF YOURS!” 

 

Wow, the woman didn’t even think about calming down. But you decide to interfere as you could see orange tears on Papyrus’s eye sockets.

 

“This is quite getting out of hand, madam, do lower your voice, please and tell me what’s the problem.”

 

It looks like the diplomat died in you, as your voice was calm and steady. But it was of no use as the woman continued her assault on your eardrums. 

 

“AND WHO ARE YOU TO TELL ME WHAT TO DO? AND I AM NOT SAYING ANYTHING WRONG. ALL OF THEM ARE DANGEROUS AND KILLERS ! Or are you with them? ARE YOU A MONSTER TOO?!!!”

 

Every time she stressed the word “ monster ,” she saw them just like that, monsters: no emotion, no feeling, just monsters who destroy everything on their path. Fuck diplomacy. You don’t have the tolerance for this shit. 

 

“Lower your voice. Otherwise, something will really happen to you.”

 

Your voice was deep and husky. You put some of your power into your voice during the conversation, which caused your eyes to glow faintly with the green light under the hood.

 

For the first time in her life, the woman felt such horror, something inside her told her that the person in front of her was dangerous. No words wanted to come out, as she felt as if her throat was squeezed by a heavy hand. Only her child that was still crying stopped her from running away. 

 

A security guard arrived as the woman recited all kinds of prayers to god in her mind. He immediately moved to stand between you and asked what’s the problem. You didn’t have any will to drag this out any longer as you could feel sadness and fear pulsating from Papyrus behind you. You knew that the guard before you was, for a fact, a werewolf. You lowered your head, hiding your eyes as you used your power again. 

 

“Handle this.” 

 

The werewolf went rigid. Before he could stop himself, his body instinctively moved, his head tilted to the side, exposing his neck and averting his eyes. As he froze in confusion, you used this chance to grab Papyrus and Sans and dash out of the mall. You didn’t stop at all until Sans and Papyrus fell into the backseat of your car. You sat down behind the wheel and sighed. You startled the brothers by banging your head against the wheel. You don’t remember the last time you used your powers on someone. Was it 20 or 30 years ago? You don’t know, but it had to be a shapeshifter of all supers. They are susceptible to Alpha’s voice because their inner animal is driven by pure instinct. You never liked using your power on someone who doesn't know your identity. And now, very few people know who you really are. 

 

“Are you okay, pal?” 

 

Sans asked you carefully, with a nervous grin on his face. You answer with a tiered voice, looking before you, not willing to face anyone just yet.

 

“Heh, it’s me who should be asking this. How are you both holding up?”

 

“It’s not exactly the first time something like this happened. We will get over it.”

 

This made you freeze, and from your senses, you could tell that Papyrus got even sadder, but he didn’t refute what his brother said. There’s not much you could say except: 

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

“No human friend, this is not your fault. You have nothing to apologize for.”

 

Papyrus answered you in the quietest voice you have ever heard from him. And it makes you feel worse, because yes, you could change that. You have the most power in the city. If not you, then who has the ability? It’s just that in your long life, you have forgotten what it means to care about others and about what is happening around you. You have forgotten that every choice you make has consequences. 

 

In the end, you say defeated: “Let’s head home.”

Chapter 9: Don't want to.

Chapter Text

After the mall incident, you locked yourself up in your workshop. The time flew past you as you were immersed in your work. The comfort of focusing on something you enjoyed was enough to take your mind off any worries. You were hiding away from the world, from your responsibilities. Even though your body was created by magic, it functioned like any other human body. So you had to leave your hiding place and look for food. To your surprise, you found your fridge full of ready meals. As you were eating a second bowl of fantastic chicken soup, you were very grateful to Papyrus for it.

 

Sometime later, after you had finished eating and were washing your plate, Papyrus entered the kitchen. You were taken by surprise. All the words left your mind. You have been avoiding the brothers since you returned from the mall trip. The silence gets heavier every second. You feel his eyes on your back. Both of you stood in silence as you finished with the dishes. You had a second to collect yourself before you turned to face him. Papyrus stood in the doorway, looking at you and not saying a word.

 

“Thank you for the food.” That’s the only thing that came to your mind before you took a step closer to the doorway, thinking about leaving. He easily makes way for you, still saying nothing. But just as you are about to turn the corner, you hear a surprisingly quiet;

 

“Thank you too.” 

 

As you walk back to your workshop, you ponder what he thanked you for. But you decide not to ponder too much as the door to your workshop clicks shut behind you. 





 

At the moment, you were comfortably lying on the couch you had in the workshop. You lie on your back in total darkness, staring up at the ceiling, barely seeing it. Lately, you have felt strange. You feel like something is out of place as if something that shouldn’t be here has suddenly appeared. You close your eyes and look deep into yourself with a deep breath. Breath in, breath out, and you feel like falling. You enter a dark space in your mind. Six bright-looking threads surround you, and each has its own color, smell, and taste. Those are bonds to your inner pack, your friends, and your family. You look around again, and hundreds of threads appear. They are transparent compared to the first six. You can still make out their color, but that’s how far it goes. Some of them are woven into tight ropes, and these are the ones that hold them together.

 

In contrast, others are proudly standing alone. These are your bonds to your outer pack, many of which you have never met, which is why they are transparent. With your eyes, you follow where they are all connected. A giant oak stands in the middle of the darkness, its leaves shimmering in different shades of blue. Instead of roots, the same threads. You break into a smile; this is your whole life's work.

 

But your smile faltered, and your gaze focused on the two threads wrapped around the trunk. You have never seen threads on the trunk, especially snow-white threads. You have seen and heard of so many different colors of the bonds, but never have you seen or heard about snow-white colored ones. They were shining brightly, just like your inner pack to add to your confusion. Frowning, you carefully pluck at the nearest white thread and follow with your gaze how the other end disappears in the darkness. While concentrating on the thread, you were startled by a knock on the door and accidentally yanked the thread hard. Your eyes fly open as you breathe heavily, still lying on the couch in your workshop. 

 

You jump on your feet and, still in some confusion, yank the door open. The light from outside immediately blinds you. Blinded, you don’t see how Papyrus takes a step back and shoves something back into his ribs area. Blinking rapidly, you are met with sweating Papyrus.

 

It appears to be early in the morning. Before you stands Papyurs in a white t-shirt that says “The Coolest Guy” with pink across the chest and some gray sweatpants. After looking him up and down, you look him in the face and lift an eyebrow. There is no answer as he continues staring at you back. 

 

“What is it, Papyrus?”

 

He shudders and stumbles a little bit in place.

 

“I-I WANTED TO ASK YOU IF YOU WANT TO JOIN ME FOR MY MORNING WORKOUT?” 

 

“Workout? What kind of workout?” you ask in bewilderment. 

 

At this, he gained his confidence back and stood in the heroic pose.

 

“I THE GREAT PAPYRUS WORKOUT EVERY MORNING, SOME JOGGING THEN I DO PUSH-UPS, SQUATS, PLANK…”

 

He goes on and on, naming a lot of different kinds of exercises, which some of them you don’t know what even are. 

 

“...AND THEN I FINISH ALL THAT WITH SOME PUZZLE TRAINING!!! I HAVE TO STAY ON MY TOES FOR IF ANYONE WANTS TO CHALLENGE ME, THE GREAT PAPYRUS THE FUTURE ROYAL GUARD!!!”

 

It took you some time to restart your brain before you actually could answer Papyrus. 

 

“You’re doing great work, Papyrus.” You say without thinking and then look around. “And where are you even exercising?” 

 

He brightens up at your compliment. Yet again, you look around when he replies that he has to do all his training inside. It’s no surprise. Your backyard looks like an abandoned house. Due to the influence of your magic, all plants are larger in size and more numerous than usual. Only the small stone path that leads from the porch to the workhouse is left clean, with the help of some magic, of course. 

 

“Well, we could clean the backyard for you. I can imagine that it is not the most comfortable to train inside.” 

 

You say to him while thinking of where you could be holding your lawnmower. But your thoughts were interrupted when you were suddenly grabbed in a firm hug and spun around as if you weighed nothing.

 

“NYEH-HEH-HEH-HEH!!! THANK YOU, HUMAN FRIEND, THIS IS AN AMAZING IDEA!!!”

 

While he continued to laugh, you just let him spin you around a little more. You can feel genuine happiness emanating from his core, which satisfied you for reasons unknown to you. While getting to work, you caught a glimpse of a blue parka disappearing inside the house.

 

*Sometime later* 

 

You’re sitting on the porch with cold water in your hand, sweat running down your temple. Today was a scorching day. The sun shone brightly on you. A light breeze touches you as Papyrus runs past you with a lawnmower in hand. His work speed was astounding. What seemed like a day’s work was done almost instantly. As if hearing your thoughts, he stops and looks at you. He waves to you and smiles broadly. You cannot control your smile when you wave back. He perks up, and with double, the speed starts running around again. This brings a chuckle out of you. You take a sip of water and, the next moment, spit everything out. You spring up.

 

“Papyrus! Stop right there!” 

 

“WHAT?!” 

 

He did not hear you because of the loud sound of the mower, so he continued to move forward, but more slowly. 

 

“Turn it off!” 

 

You run-up to the lawnmower and turn it off at the last moment, but your momentum causes you to stumble. Papyrus does not understand what is happening but still tries to catch you. But you end up both falling. Your knee and nose are met with a hard surface. The “hard surface” yelps in pain underneath you as you accidentally knee his hip bone. You freeze for a moment before finding your balance and lifting your upper body. You are face to face with the Papyrus that lies beneath you. Being so close, you could see the sun reflecting on the bones. You could see all the tiny chips and scratches on his skull that he had accumulated during his life. There is no light in his eye sockets, which worries you. You frown and ask him in worry.

 

“Are you okay, Papyrus? Hurt anywhere?”

 

He wakes up from a daze with these words, his eye-light glow again, and he trembles slightly. He starts nodding vigorously as his skull glows bright orange. You raise an eyebrow, and after a bit of thought, you conclude that this is what embarrassment looks like on a skeleton. You smirk and decide to stand up, the orange glow intensifying as Papyrus rolls over and tries to get up. You throw a last glance at him before turning to the reason for this whole situation. The space right in front of the mower was full of tiny bright green lights. You spread the grass gently, and following the green light, you see a handful of fluff. Already knowing what is there, you call out to Papyrus, who has already relatively calmed down.

 

“Look, Papyrus.”

 

When you get his attention, you carefully pick up the fluff, and under it, you can see a litter of 6 baby rabbits. 

 

“WOWIE!!!! BUNNIES!!!”

 

Papyrus immediately squats down next to you, staring at the rabbits in complete amazement. His eye lights have taken the shape of stars. You smile at him and then gently put the fluff back in place. 

 

“I’m sorry for falling on top of you.”

 

He didn’t listen at all. On his emotions, he turns to you and hugs you again.

 

“THANK YOU FOR SHOWING ME THIS HUMAN FRIEND!!!!” 

 

“Earresistibly cute indeed.”

 

You flinch in surprise and turn to look at Sans, who is standing next to you. 

 

“When did you get here?”

 

“When I heard Papyrus being all hoppy.”

 

You smile at it. You told Papyrus that you two should finish, and both of you went back to work. 

 

*Two hours of work later*

 

You lie on freshly cut grass and are simply satisfied with the work done. You are covered in the shadow of Papyrus as he leans over your body. 

 

“NYEH-HEH-HEH, NOW THAT WE ARE DONE WITH THE CLEANING LET’S DO THE WORKOUT!!!”

 

You sigh in despair and think about how to tell him you don’t want to.

Chapter 10: Red and Gold

Chapter Text

The color red and gold blind your vision as you pass through the arc door. The room you just entered could be seen in some movie. Bright red Chinese lanterns hang on the walls, giving gentle light to the room. In contrast, the floor is made of dark wood. Old and some of them strange-looking vases stand on the ancient Chinese cabinets. With every step you take deeper into the room, your vision gets more smoke-filled. You would have coughed your lungs out if you weren’t used to it.  There are many red/pink/orange, almost see-through silk hanging from the ceiling, working as a partition. At nearer inspection, you can make out a shadow of a bed and two bodies lying there. You push the silk gently to the side, not wanting to rip this nice-to-the-touch material.



You step into the bedroom. On the bed, you see two bewitchingly beautiful women lying, their foreheads touching whilst they are holding hands. This scene of two sleeping beauties, identical to each other like a water drop, could bewitch anyone. Their porcelain skin was peeking from underneath the tight dress, and silky brown hair was scattered on the pillows. Their faces were as if created by a sculptor, with long eyelashes. But to any human being, the most captivating would have been the sight of fox ears and three tails each. Their red fox ears had fluffy red tips, and each of their tail was red with white ends. 

 

You go around the bed and sit down on the side. Slowly, you lift your hand and gently pet Kuang on the head. Kuang continues faking her sleep as you pet her more. On the other hand, Leng was staring at you with hazel eyes with vertical pupils. 

 

“You came,” Leng says in her melodic voice.

 

“Of course, Alpha just missed us!” you heard the high-pitched voice with a slight purr. Kuang threw aside her pretense of sleep and was enjoying the pettings openly.

 

Their appearance was like that of a water drop, but their personality was almost that of the opposite. You smile at Kuang and turn to Leng.

 

“What is the situation with the monsters?”

Leng slowly stretches, and the already tight dress tightens even more around her curves. 

 

“The situation is as follows….” You tentatively listen to her report whilst your hand continues to pat Kuang on the head.

 

“To summarize it all, the situation has stabilized. Economically, we've reached the point where the monsters could, if they wanted to, trade their gold for our currency, but that's about it. We are still trying to integrate monsters into some workspaces, but there are a lot of protests from both humans and supernatural beings. The creation of an "Only monster zone" helped reduce monster violence to some extent.”

 

Leng says slowly with a gentle tone, not letting her emotions through her tender smile. You slowly nod, thinking through all the information you just received. Being too deep in thoughts, your hand stopped moving, which led to Kuang springing up in displeasure and shouting at you. 

 

“Why do you pay attention to those monsters so much? For the last weeks, you have contacted us more than you have throughout the last ten years! In my opinion, they all could die, and we all should care less! There was no one to help us when we came out to the humans!”

 

Something inside you flares up in a rage. You have never been one to be angered so easily. You spring up and shout-growl at her with magic in your voice. Your eyes flare up with green, and green runes appear on your temples.

 

“SHUT UP!”   

 

The next moment a fox is lying beside your feet. Kuang is curled up whilst her three tales hide her body. She is shivering with all her body, whilst small whimpers are leaving her snout. You are breathing heavily in an attempt to calm down. Leng is standing behind you, hugging you tightly, or maybe holding you down so you wouldn’t do anything, you don’t know. 

 

“Alpha, Kuang didn’t mean anything with that. You know how she is. Please quell your anger.” 

 

You started breathing slowly, in and out, whilst looking down on Kuang. You tapped, Lengs’ hands for her to let go as you bent down and slowly picked the fluff ball, sitting down and putting her on your lap.

 

“Kuang. If we do not help, then no one will help, and in the end, the world will remain the dark place that it is. Please accept them, just the way I accepted you all.” You start patting her slowly as she whines in your lap but does not run away.

 

*Flashback: Third and Fourth pack members - Leng and Kuang*

 

One is a hunter. The other is a protector. That’s what you have gathered about the pups since they appeared. The black pup disappears every morning into the forest and comes back with a good amount of injuries. The white pup was “protecting” the burrow with all his might, chasing the curious small animals away. When something more significant than a squirrel appeared, you had to step in, but just shaking your crown of leaves was enough in most cases. 

 

The time was flying as the pups were growing bigger. You still remember when the black pup came back home with a rabbit. To the naked eye, you could see how proud he was. But one could also see an intelligence not typical of ordinary wild wolves. You realized that you did not shelter any wolves but werewolves on that day.

 

The day began like any other day in this forest, the black puppy left early in the morning, and the white one hid in the hole. You were dozing off as suddenly the white pup sprung away into the distance without any warning. Your roots, which spread farther and farther, worked as one of your senses. With their help, it was possible to fixate any vibration and determine the location of any potential enemy. You were trying to locate the white pups position, but he was out of your reach pretty soon. You were alone, and you hated the sudden silence, the sudden loss of something. This day has been exceptionally long for you. 

 

The black pup comes back and goes into a frenzy, not finding his brother. (? You will just assume they are brothers.) He is smelling the ground in distress, barking and howling. Another second passes, and he, too, disappears into the distance. 

 

They don't show up until late at night, but they seem to carry something in their mouths. They stop at your roots, the black pup spits out whatever it's holding, and the white pup gently lays it on the ground. You thought they were two dead rabbits, but the "rabbits" suddenly stirred. You look closer and understand that those are two fox cubs. The fox cub that is bigger than the other (later known as Kuang) stands up and moves between the wolf cubs and the other fox cub (Leng). 

 

What have you gotten yourself into?

 

*Back to present*

 

You breathed slowly and deeply, trying to calm the anger inside you. You have never been the type to get emotional quickly. Many years of life have taught you patience. 

 

“Leng, get me an appointment with the head witch.”  You say to Leng while feeling quite confused. Your emotions are out of control, and these white bonds do not add to your peace of mind.

 

“Is something wrong, Alpha?” 

 

“Nothing to worry about. I just have a few questions for her about this whole situation.” You decided to keep your concerns to yourself for now. You have no idea what you're dealing with right now, and there's no reason to alarm the whole pack just yet. You decide to change the theme.

 

“Did you get the books I asked you to find?”

 

Leng gets surprisingly serious at that question. 

 

“No matter where I looked and whoever I asked, no one had any books or information about the monsters before the Humans sealed them. As if someone destroyed all information about them. I found several books hinting at their existence, but with such wording that one could easily think that they were talking about supernatural beings.”

 

You nod while being in deep thoughts. After the skeleton brothers appeared, you became interested in monsters in general, so you had Leng try to find any information about them before the Humans sealed them. Your pure curiosity turned out to be a big problem. The situation didn’t seem too promising. If even Leng couldn’t find anything, then the case is turning into complicating one.

 

“Give me those books, and let’s try approaching from a different way. Look if you can find any information on the Humans that could have sealed the monsters. Kuang.” You patted Kuang on the head to gain her attention. “Try talking to the older generation of supers. Maybe some were still alive or have heard anything about this.” 

 

You get a nod from Kuang and Leng. Leng turns into a fox and disappears through the window with Kuang. You fall back on the bed and sigh. There is suddenly too much stuff you have to do.





You enter the cabin with three books in your arms. Those books are the ones you asked from Kuang. The books looked like they were older than you are, each in a foreign language. You enter the living room and gently put the books down on the table. You massage your neck. The books were heavier than you thought. Your gaze lands on Sans, who is sitting in one of the chairs with a notebook in hand. He was writing intently. You don’t think he even saw you coming in. His complexion didn’t look great. He had big eyebags underneath his eyes sockets. You didn’t know skeletons could have them. You decide not to interrupt him. You sit in front of him and take out magic glasses to help you decipher the books. You dive into the book, ignoring the rest of the world. 

 

An hour passed, and you were so in your book that you didn’t see how Sans flinched. He did not notice that you entered, and you were so rarely seen in the cabin that it was a surprise to him that you were there. Seeing that you were utterly absorbed in the book, he took the opportunity to examine you more closely. First, Sans looked at the glasses. Then at your hands that were littered with minor cuts, at your hair that was in disorder at the moment, his attention was caught by the scar on your mouth. Sans was curious about how you could have acquired it. Somehow unwillingly, his gaze moved to your lips. There was a slight smile playing on your lips. Sans looked hastily away as his cheeks dusted with a blue glow. 

 

But you didn’t see all that happening. You were absorbed in the book and smiled at the peace and quiet.

Chapter 11: Sans pov 2

Chapter Text

*Sans/Third-person POV*

 

Three weeks pass peacefully and quietly for him and Papyrus. The monsters are slowly adapting to the surface. Papyrus is cooking, training, doing puzzles, and looks happy in general. And that’s all Sans needs, or it’s all Sans should need. But a little worm of doubt, a voice whispering in his head, that all this may disappear in another Reset . That all the peacefulness and Papyrus's happy smiles will turn into dust. He can’t handle it again.

 

Each day his uneasiness grows stronger, the nightmares growing along with it. Should he close his eyes, he sees a red scarf lying on the cold snow of Snowdin. The emptiness he felt in his bones, in his soul. It broke him. He can’t remember the last time he slept. He can’t remember the last time he was not afraid

 

He decided to dive into his notebooks, focusing on his notes and theories of what he could do to stop the reset. Busying his mind was the only way to stay calm. He didn’t want to worry Papyrus. He did this every time Papyrus cooked or did his morning workout. Sans does not know when was the day that you joined him in the living room. How long have you been sitting there? How long has he been sitting there?  

 

You were immersed in the books, your face void of emotions. Sans couldn’t figure you out no matter how long he looked at you. You are the unknown Sans can’t figure out, and it unnerves him. The more he tries to understand you and the reasoning behind your actions, the more questions appear in his mind. You haven’t done anything wrong. You only have been helping Sans and Papyrus. But everything inside Sans is screaming that you are dangerous. Maybe it is just his paranoia, but you can’t blame him, right?



Papyrus calls Sans to dinner. When he enters the kitchen, you are already sitting there. After you started spending your time reading books in the living room, it happened more often that the three of you ended up eating together. Sans is drowsily eating his food, more like automatically shoving food into his mouth. The formulas and numbers consumed his mind. You and Papyrus are having a conversation about famous actors and popular movies.

 

“THE BEST FOREVER STAR IS METTATON! HE IS THE BEST ACTOR, SINGER AND MOST IMPORTANTLY HE IS THE BEST COOK!!! HIS SHOWS WERE THE MOST POPULAR UNDERGROUND, AND I’M SURE ALL THE HUMANS AND SUPERNATURALS WOULD HAVE LOVED HIM TOO!!!!”

 

Sounds like he is pretty cool.”

 

“HE IS THE COOLEST, NYEH HEH HEH!”

 

“I could show you some of the most popular movies above the ground.”

 

“WOWIE, THIS SOUNDS LIKE THE BEST IDEA, HUMAN FRIEND!!!”

 

You all finished your dinner quickly and went to the living room. Sans plopped down into the armchair and felt the tiredness hitting him in the gut . He followed with his gaze as you closed the curtains while Papyrus came with a big bowl of popcorn. He tried with all his might to hold his eyes open, but he might have dozed off. When he opens his eyes again, you and Papyrus are talking about how cool it would be to get into Hogwarts. He closes his eyes again and is awoken by your and Papyrus's laughter over the pranks that the Weasely twins were playing. He blinked again, and suddenly there was popcorn all over the floor (and himself). There was a plaid gently draped over Sans. You and Papyrus were jokingly waltzing around to the Yule Ball in Harry Potter. Sans is content with how his brother is smiling and laughing happily, letting him finally fall into a deep slumber. 

 

He awakens to the darkness and quietness in the living room. He hastily scans the room and finds Papyrus sleeping on the couch. He is draped with the Sans look-alike plaid. A little bit calmed down, Sans scans the room and doesn’t find you anywhere. Feeling refreshed, he stands up and stretches. His back makes a popping sound. He flinches and looks hastily at Papyrus in embarrassment. Seeing that his brother didn’t hear anything and is still sleeping relieves him. In the next second, Sans disappears from the living room in a flash and appears in the kitchen. He opens the fridge and takes a new bottle of ketchup out. He takes a swing and chugs almost half of it in one go. He sighs in delight and whispers to himself, “There’s nothing better than a good cold and refreshing drink to wake up. He looks at the fridge, which has the lower shelf half full with ketchup. Somehow after that first shopping trip with you to the city, Ricky came by every third day with groceries and made sure to buy a lot of ketchup. You must have told Ricky something because he didn’t disclose his love for this drink. 

 

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw a shadow outside. It was you who was going in the direction of your workhouse. Sans was curious about what you were doing there, but he respected your privacy, primarily because of your hospitality. He waited, expecting you to enter the workhouse, but to his surprise, you just passed it and went deeper into the yard. You disappeared behind the tree line. Sans frowned. Where were you going? Especially so late at night. The thoughts about keeping your privacy flew out of his head and gave way to insecurities and doubts. 

 

The next moment he shortcuts to the place where he saw you a moment ago. You were no longer in sight, but he could see a small trail leading into the forest. He looked back at the house, debating if he should go or stay with Papyrus. But knowing that you went into the woods means that the place is safe at the moment. Sans takes a step towards the forest, sweat appearing on his forehead. He understands this could end badly, but the pain of losing everything pushes him forward. Step by step, he goes deeper, the trees become thicker and taller, and he almost loses the trail in the thick green grass. Something touches his arm, and he jumps to the side, his eye glowing with blue flame, hand outstretched, magic ready, only to see that it is a thick vine. He breathes in relief and tells himself to calm the fuck down. He returns to the trail and continues walking forward, sometimes looking up. He pays attention that there are even more vines appearing on the trees. He suddenly stumbles and almost face plants if not for the shortcut. He breathes heavily and curses quietly. 

 

“Almost died there….”

 

He looks at the thick tree root sticking out from the ground. He could have sworn there was no tree root when he last checked. 

 

“Calm down. You're just being paranoid.”

 

Sans continues, now with a faster pace and looking where he is going. He was walking for maybe five minutes maximum, but to him, it felt like half an hour, as the tree leaves were blocking out the light from the stars and the moon. He sighed and already regretted his decision. But just as he thought to shortcut back, in front of him opened up a wide clearing. He was stunned because of the sudden contrast, but even more strange was that in the whole clearing, there were no trees, no flowers, nothing. Except for the giant oak tree standing in the middle of the clearing, stars and the moon shining brightly on it. Sans was quite shocked by its size. It was like four times big as any oak tree he had seen. The crown of its leaves stretched bridely in all directions. The roots of the tree could be seen almost on the whole clearing.

 

Sans was mesmerized by the image before him. He took a step, then another; in the end, he ran to the tree. He forgot he could shortcut to it, he forgot about you who he followed here, he forgot everything. Something was pulling him, calling for him, and he didn’t resist. He only stopped when he was ten meters away from it. He was intently staring at the tree. Sans grabbed his chest. His soul was dancing and jumping excitedly, pulling Sans toward the tree. But Sans was glued to the place. His eyes were on the soul in the middle of the tree's trunk. 





While on the surface, Sans learned that supers souls differed from humans and monsters. 

 

Monsters' souls were in the shape of a heart that was upside down. They were completely white, made from the monsters HoPe. 

 

The human's soul was in the shape of an upright heart but with different colors representing the human's strongest attribute. One attribute was rarely met in older humans, as they learned and grew throughout life. That’s why you could see mostly one attribute in children, but even then, not many had such strong attribute as Frisk did.

 

By watching the supernatural creatures, Sans figured out that they had some mix between humans and monsters, their soul was just like humans in the shape of an upright heart, and just like monsters, it was white. Sans still hasn’t figured out why it is so, but he didn’t have any data to go from. 

 

Sans was standing and looking at the tree trunk with a supernatural creature's soul. And that soul was strongly attracting his soul, and Sans knew only one reason. This was his soulmate, his other part. He suddenly remembers all the monsters bragging about finding their soulmate and how happy they were, how they described to him how it felt to meet their soulmate for the first time. He was feeling all that and even more. 

 

A small hopeful smile broke out on his skull as he was still tightly holding his chest, not letting his soul out. He somehow calmed a little bit down and looked at what was the reason for his discomfort. There was a soul in the tree trunk, his soulmate, but the soul almost did not react to him, and it was sickly bleak. As if someone drained almost all the white glow out of it. 

 

Sans face turns into that of worry. He slowly starts taking small steps toward the tree. He lifts his hand to touch the nearest root, but yours stop his hand. You stand beside Sans, your hand grasping his. You’re looking at him without any emotion on your face. You let go and slightly push him back, making him step a few steps away from the root he was about to touch.

 

“What are you doing, Sans?”

Chapter 12: The Unknown Threat

Notes:

Thank you all for the comments! I’m really happy that people love my work so far and I really cherish every comment that was written! On my happiness I wrote another chapter for you, hope ya all like it! :>

Chapter Text

The moment Sans suddenly appeared on the forest's edge, you knew he was following you. As he steps on the trail, you see his green core pulsate in nervousness. You stand against a tree, your back supported by it as you stare at the green orb—what a way to feel like a stalker.  You would have stopped them from going deeper if it were someone else. But here you are, silently watching him move nearer to your main body. At one moment, his core pulsates with a sudden spike of fear. There and then, you had a sudden urge to run to him, to ensure he was okay, but you stopped yourself. This is your territory, and there couldn’t be anything possibly life-threatening. You sighed in relief when Sans started moving again. Something was wrong with you; you were too emotional about the skeletons.

 

Sans reached the clearing in no time. You stare at his back, at how he looks ridiculous in his warm blue parka and his short shorts and pink fluffy slippers on his feet. All his attention was on the tree. He didn’t even pay attention to you standing behind him. You lifted your hand to tap his shoulder, but you were a second too late as he sprinted forward. You were left standing in your stupor, looking at your lifted hand. You raised your head to see how Sans stopped, and… 

 

Far, far away from you, almost on the edge of your territory, you felt It . You looked in the direction of this something, staring intently in the darkness. Trying to figure out what it was, just by your senses alone. But it was gone just as fast as it appeared. You frowned and looked back at Sans. It was just in time to see Sans reaching his hand to touch one of your roots. You swiftly reach over and grab his hand. You looked down into his eye lights and pushed him gently a few steps back.

 

“What are you doing, Sans?”

 

The silence was an answer to you. You looked at your main body, took a deep breath, and sighed. Somehow you can’t find to be angry at this skeleton, your mind still bugged by the intruder. 

 

“How long has it been growing here?” 

 

You are surprised by this question and look at Sans, but he, too, is looking at your tree. You frown in confusion and then look back at the tree. If the brothers get to know the truth, it may put you and your pack in danger, but somehow you don’t want to lie to him. 

 

“It has been growing here even before the house was built. And I don’t remember when the house was built.”

 

The house has been standing for a minimum of hundred years. You surely didn’t remember when it was built. You see how Sans nods, and you feel his core pulsates with worry, but you don’t know why. A relatively strong wind ruffles your leaves, and a few fall to the ground. Sans looks down at all the leaves that are lying on the ground.

 

“Is it sick?”

 

“No, it shouldn’t be.”

 

You are confused by the questions, but you don’t have time. You have to contact your pack and warn them about that something. You look in the direction where that something disappeared again—another gust of wind and another portion of leaves. 

 

“It feels as if it’s alive.”

 

Your head whips around to stare at Sans, but he didn’t even spare you a glance. All his attention was on the tree, his eyes shining and a strange smile on his face. You sigh and rub your neck. You grab Sans by his shoulder and turn him to look at you.

 

“Look here, Sans, you may as well say that the tree is alive. So stay away from it, and I mean it. It may get…pretty violent to strangers. So if you and Papyrus want to continue living with me, you will have to promise me never to go near that tree. Do we have a deal, Sans?”



While your mind is in your human body, your main body runs on pure instincts. If it senses even a speck of danger, it will eradicate whatever that danger might be. And you already are fond of these skele brothers to be the reason for their death. Sans looks in bewilderment at you, and a second later, he sighs too and says.

 

“Your house, your rules pal, can’t have the great Papyrus leave his favorite kitchen behind now, can I? I will leaf you to whatever you were doing here.”

 

He starts moving back to the house, following the thin trail. When he is out of your field of view, he somehow disappears and appears in the house. Great, now you have to figure out if all monsters can teleport, or it’s just this one.



You feel your phone vibrating in your pocket. You take it out.

 

*Incoming call Argent*

 

You answered the call with a sigh and were immediately interrogated by several questions, which made you frown.

 

“Are you safe? Did you feel that? Whatever that was, it fried our defense in that region, and the magic level of that thing was over the charts.”

 

“Hello to you too. I’m home and safe. Yes, I did feel that for a fact, but I couldn’t figure out what it was. I’ve never sensed anything like that before. This is not good. Inform all of the clan heads about this danger. Tell them to stay alert before we figure it out.”

 

“Better safe than sorry, Alpha? It’s such your thing to do. I will forward your orders.”

 

“Good, stay safe.”

 

And that was that. Another headache has just fallen on your head. 

 

The next few days turned into a blur. The amount of magic you sensed couldn’t have disappeared without a trace. But no matter how many people were deployed, they could find nothing. And all while, Sans was unnerving you by going to the tree every evening. He wasn’t going near it, and neither was he trying to touch it, so you guess he kept his word. You have a feeling both of these situations will not end well.

 

*Papyrus POV*

 

Something was wrong with Sans, worse than usual. 

 

Not long after the human friend Frisk fell into the underground, Sans hid away from me. He tried to appear normal but rarely looked into my eyes. I have no idea what happened, but I’m scared to ask. What if I will make it only worse? 

 

So the day when Frisk broke the barrier was the happiest in my life, and I hoped my brother would feel better. But I was wrong. He got only worse, he was trying not to show it, but he was falling apart. I don’t know what burdens he put on his shoulders, but I wanted to lessen them anyway. But he stayed silent no matter how much I hinted or told him that he could tell me anything. It breaks my heart to see him in his state. 

 

When we moved together with y/n, Sans appeared to be defensive against the human for some reason. But no matter how much I looked, I didn’t see anything wrong with our new human friend. They have been only kind and amazing to us. All the little things that y/n did for us helped with the anxiety of being in this unknown place. Of being on the surface. 

 

I hate seeing the eyebags under my brother's eyes growing. I hate the sounds I can hear at night when he is having a  nightmare. I wish I could help, but I don’t know-how.

 

But it suddenly changed. Sans was no longer sitting on the armchair all day long. He wasn’t mumbling and talking to himself. Suddenly his eyes had a spark of life, the spark of good old Sans before the human friend Frisk fell into the underground. I tried figuring out what it was. What did make his brother feel hope again? What helped with what Papyrus couldn’t help with. 

 

But no matter how much I tried, he was fast at dodging questions and even faster at escaping away from me. It lasted for a few days until I decided he would come to me when he was ready to talk about it. I will be patient and always wait for him with open arms.

Chapter 13: Oh poor Papyrus

Chapter Text

You yawn heavily while entering the kitchen and shuffle to the fridge. Your days have been filled with looking for answers and looking after Sans. You looked like a raccoon shapeshifter rather than a dryad because of the big eye bags under your eyes.

 

You pour yourself a glass of milk and are left standing and looking at Papyrus, who looks like he hasn’t even seen you. He is staring at a glass that he is polishing with a towel, or rather he is staring somewhere beyond. It looks like he is in deep thought. You look a little lower at his green core. You grimace. For the last month that the brothers have lived here, Papyrus core has been getting bleaker every day. And lately, because of Sans’s strange attitude, Papyurs’s core is coated with a layer of worry.

 

“Papyrus?”

 

He flinches, and the glass in his hand slips and shatters on the floor. It’s a second of silence before Papyrus comes to his sense. He bends down to collect the glass.

 

“OH NO, I’M SORRY HUMAN FRIEND, I DIDN’T MEAN TO!”

 

“Papyrus.”

 

“I-I’M SORRY, JUST GIVE ME A SECOND!”

 

“Papyrus!”

 

“I WILL CLEAN EVERYTHING UP IMMEDIATELY!”

 

“PAPYRUS!”

 

You grab his hands, not caring about the glass pieces that cut into your hand. One by one, you open his phalanges that were tightly holding the glass pieces. He had cuts on his hands, from which little dust particles fell. Papyrus froze, barely daring to move, watching the drops of crimson blood roll down your fingers. You slowly take the pieces out of his hands and onto the floor. You collect the most significant shards in a bunch and push them away to the side. You take a towel and start wiping Papyrus's hands, looking for the damage. The towel is soon pink and red from your blood. You sigh in relief as you see that there was not much damage. It didn’t look like any more dust was falling. Suddenly something warm fell on your connected hands. It was glowing with a gentle shade of orange. You lift your eyes to see Papyrus crying. 

 

“I-I’M SORRY, HUMAN! THIS IS MY FAULT!”

 

“It’s okay, Papyrus. It happens with everyone.”

 

“NO! BECAUSE OF ME, YOU ARE INJURED. I’M SO SO SORRY!”

 

“You are feeling alone here, Papyrus, aren’t you?”

 

He looked at you like a deer caught in the headlight, tears still running down his skull. 

 

“HOW? WAIT, NO, I’M FINE! I GOT YOU AND SANS HERE, A-And I’m having fun training and doing puzzles a-and cooking.”

 

Somewhere on the way, he lost his voice and started talking at a lower volume. The tears didn’t seem to stop running from his eyes. You see how his core is pulsating with sadness and loneliness. You gently take your hands out of his. He reaches for your hands in return, but you gently open your arms instead. He takes the hint and dives into the hug. You hug him tightly as he is silently crying. 

 

“Tell me about your friends from the underground.”

 

It was all he needed before he started telling you about the people he thought about as a family. The coolest and most awesome royal guard Undyne, and her sweet and intelligent girlfriend, Alphyse. About the king and queen of monsters, along with the human Frisk. About a little white dog that apparently is called Annoying Dog and so many more. He talks about their personalities and how happy they were to be on the surface. The more he spoke of them, the brighter his core became, which for some reason was satisfying for you. He tells you a funny story, which leaves you two laughing out loud.

 

“NYEH-HEH-HEH!”

 

You slowly pull away and look into his bright eye-lights, a bright smile back on his skull. Using your thumb, you brush away the last tear drop from the corner of his eye socket and stand up.

 

“I actually have a gift for you, be ready at the main entrance in five minutes.”

 

You turn around and start leaving the kitchen. You can hear Papyrus’s curious and excited exclamations following after you. You lick the orange tear from your thumb,  tasting its sweetness. Green lines appear on your hand where your cuts have been. It only takes a second as the light disappears, and you can see how your hand is again perfectly fine. You make a fist, and your phalanges crunch. You hum. Your power works on the monsters too.

 

Ten minutes later, you stop before the entrance in a bright red cabriolet and glance at the time. It’s around two pm, perfect. Papyrus exits the cabin and just explodes with excitement. 

 

“WOWIE! THIS IS AMAZING HUMAN FRIEND. I’VE NEVER SEEN A CAR COOLER THAN THIS.”

 

He had stars in his eyes. You smile fondly at him and tell him to get on. He eagerly does so, looking at every inch of the car. 

 

“Hold tight. We are going to break some speed laws before reaching the city.”

 

You don’t give him a chance to say anything as you press on the gas. The car speeds onto the road and goes even faster from there. Having the opportunity of seeing living things is a good bonus in knowing that it will not end up with any murder. And if anything unalive appears on the road, they will most likely survive the impact. Papyrus is squealing in excitement beside you, his arms high up in the air and giggling.

 

“THIS IS SO COOL HUMAN FRIEND, AND I FEEL LIKE I’M FLYING.”

 

As he continues holding his hands up, you can see how he rotates his arms and giggles.

 

“What you doing, Papyrus?”

 

“IT’S TICKLISH BECAUSE OF THE WIND THAT GOES THROUGH MY BONES! BUT I’M THE MAGNIFICENT PAPYRUS, AND I’M NOT GONNA LOSE TO SOME WIND!!!”

 

And right after those words, he giggles again. You can’t stop the small smile that creeps onto your face. And you are reminded of another question that you wished to ask.

 

“How old are you, Papyrus, if you don’t mind me asking?”

 

“I BELIEVE I TRIED EXPLAINING IT TO MY DEAR HUMAN FRIEND FRISK. THEY WERE SHOCKED WHEN I TOLD THEM I WAS AROUND TWO HUNDRED AND TWENTY-FIVE YEARS OLD. AFTER DISCUSSING IT WITH ALPHYS, WE COME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT ONE YEAR OF HUMAN LIFE IS EQUIVALENT TO  TEN YEARS IN THE MONSTER LIFE. SO I AM TWENTY-TWO YEARS OLD IN HUMAN AGE. AND SANS IS TWENTY-EIGHT IN HUMAN YEARS!”


“So Sans is two hundred and eighty?” 

 

“HE IS TWO HUNDRED AND EIGHTY-THREE YEARS OLD, TO BE EXACT! AND HOW OLD ARE YOU, HUMAN FRIEND?”



You furrow your brows and contemplate. It should be somewhere around eight or seven hundred. How do you do the math for your kind? You’ve never been curious, so you don’t know. You glance at Papyrus and see him staring at you in return. You answer with a smile, gaze back on the road;

 

“Who knows.”

 

“NYEH-HEH-HEH YOU SO FUNNY HUMAN FRIEND, WHO SHOULD KNOW YOUR OWN AGE BESIDE YOU?! NYEH-HEH-HEH-HEH-HEH!”



With banter like that, you reach the city. Papyrus is excitedly looking around. The combination of your bright and roaring car and Papyrus's loud laughter attracts much attention. But neither you nor Papyrus cares about it at the moment, as you drive to the area marked as the monster zone. It is an area in the city where they are building new apartments for the monsters to live. As later on, more and more monsters will move in, it will be a kind of safe zone for monsters. You are neither deaf nor blind, and you see how much monster hate there already is. And the more time goes on, the more on edge people will be, so you hope the construction will be done before anything terrible happens. The white side is doing a fantastic job keeping a relative balance. 

 

When speaking about the white side, you talk of the supers under Argent's command. The white side is the ones that are responsible for the safety of the city, both from outside and inside threats. The black side, commanded by Zero, is the attack force; they go out “hunting” they make sure that supernaturals on my territory but outside the city don’t overuse their power. And at the same time, they are hunting down hunters who have breached the Code. The Code is like moral rules that hunters must follow, but many hunters change the Code to their liking or completely throw it aside. 

 

As you enter the monster zone, you can see the change in the number of humans and supers. You hear an excited Papyrus chatting away and greeting all the monsters he sees. You reach a neighborhood where small, sweet, and comfortable houses stand. 

 

“I have a surprise for you in the glove box Papyrus.”

 

He looks curiously at you and then opens the glove box with excitement, where he sees only one package. He takes it out and opens it. In there lies a new model of a phone. He looks up at you in confusion.

 

“I heard that your monster phones don’t work on the surface.” 

 

“WOWIE, I DIDN’T EXPECT TO GET ANYTHING FROM YOU! I REALLY DON’T NEED ANYTHING, HUMAN FRIEND, I LOVE THE THOUGHT, BUT I FEEL IT’S TOO MUCH. BUT THANK YOU!”

 

“I felt a little responsible in ensuring that you could contact me anytime if anything were to happen. I have one more for Sans at home. So don’t feel burdened and accept it. I will just feel calmer.”

 

“IF YOU SAY SO, HUMAN FRIEND! I, THE GREAT PAPYRUS, AM HAPPY TO RECEIVE SUCH AN AMAZING GIFT, FROM SUCH AN AMAZING FRIEND!!!”

 

He tries to tap on the phone, but the screen doesn’t seem to respond to his phalanges. You expected that, so you take out a new phone cover for his phone that comes with a small pen for the phone. He cheers in excitement and tunes the settings with the help of the pen. He was so taken up with the phone that he didn’t seem to see how you came to a stop. You looked at the house you stopped before and looked at the sign beside the door. «Welcome To The Dreemurr Family House!» 

 

When Papyrus was anxious in the kitchen and told you about his friends,  you remembered that the Dreemurr family, as supers, gave the royalty their own house. So you decided to take Papyrus to at least see some of his friends, which led to you asking Leng for the address of the Queen and King of monsters. She also informed you that there also lived the popular human kid Frisk, which freed all the monsters. You sigh and look at Papyrus, who was taken up by the phone. You gave him a piece of paper which had your phone number on it. 

 

“I’m sure you will get the hang of it, and I’m sure your friend Frisk there will be happy to help you.”

 

You say, spotting a tiny human in the garden staring at Papyrus with an open mouth and almost stars in their eyes. Papyrus's head snaps up, and he is disoriented for a second. Swift as the wind, he jumps out of the car and is already standing beside Frisk. They were immediately hugging away, Papyrus's core pulsating with happiness and contentment. You smile at the picture before you. You can see movement in the house from the side of your eye. You don’t really wish to meed the royalty of the monsters, so you tell Papyrus.

 

“Papyrus, I will come to pick you up in three hours. If you feel like you want to go home earlier, just give me a call!”

 

You wait until Papyrus tells you that he is okay with the plan and tells you to have a nice day. You nod, say your goodbyes and speed off just as the door opens, and you can hear a cheerful voice calling for Papyrus.

Chapter 14: Day of Trouble

Chapter Text

You speed through the city, in an unknown direction even to you—thoughts swirling in your mind, apparently unwilling to calm down. With the appearance of the monsters on the surface, too much unknown followed. You take a sharp right turn, wheels screeching in protest. You had too many questions and almost no answers. Your car slows down as you stop at the red light, your fingers tapping against the wheel as your eyes follow a family of monster rabbits crossing the road. The tiny rabbits happily jump around as their mother tries to get them to the other side safely. The neighboring car to you blasts its horn in impatience. You glance at the driver, and there sits an angry-looking human. You can see how he mouths curses in the monster family's direction. You are sitting with a completely blank face, looking down at your side-view mirror and seeing how your eyes flicker with green. You look calmly back up, and the monster family is safely on the other side. You slowly start moving forward. Your biggest concern as of lately is your emotions. Even such a minor interaction made you irritated. Of course, you could always blame it on not being used to social interaction and being in the city. But you have a feeling there’s another reason. You tighten your grip on the wheel, your knuckles turning white. You need to calm down, somewhere where there are no monsters, brother skeletons especially. Your car takes a sharp U-turn as it heads to a bar downtown known as “The Lair.” 



You find a parking spot relatively quickly, dragging your feet through the bar's doors. Nothing has changed from the last time you have been here: the same private booths with tables and sofas. Relaxing dim lightning and not-so-loud music is pleasant to even the most sensitive supers ears. For a fact, this was a supernatural creature bar only,  and even then, this bar was known to be a “serious business” bar. It’s a meeting place for the higher-standing pack mates to meet in a pseudo-serious atmosphere. As you take a step further into the bar, you can feel the eyes of different creatures on you. But you don’t care. You’re not in the mood for any interaction right now. You go straight for the bar counter and sit in one of the high bar chairs. The bartender slides gracefully to you, folds his hands on the counter, and drops his head on them. You throw a glance at the bartender and sigh. Without knowing them too well, you wouldn’t be able to tell if they are a man or a woman. Their physique is strongly androgynous, not giving people any help in understanding who they are. To confuse people, even more, they use he/she/they as pronounce. They look at you slyly with their yellow eyes with vertical pupils and purr at you.

 

“Not often I see you here, beautiful.~ What can I get for you?~.” 

 

You lift your eyebrow at them, and they chuckle. Lifting their upper body from the counter, they walk away to make your regular. They move swiftly with efficiency behind their counter. They are making a show just for you by throwing bottles and the shaker, not forgetting to add the usual extra sugar. You catch their gazes lingering on you as if they are making sure you are still there. You can spot their thin prolonged tongue darting in and out in an attempt to smell your mood. At least his small nervous habit didn’t change. A mock-tale is set before you, and it’s swirling with the beautiful color of bright blue. 

 

“What is bothering you, my dear?~ Tell me, maybe this bartender of yours could help you.~”

 

You sigh and support your head with your hand as you swirl the ice cubes in your drink with the straw. And glance at the bartender, who is also your inner pack member Yor. 

 

Yor is of the rare species known as nagas, often called half-human half-snake. They have three forms: a full human, a full snake, and their strongest form, half and half. You know for a fact that Yor prefers his half and half form, but when they are at work, they are in their human form. 



Yor is the youngest member of your inner pack. Hence they are spoiled little brat. They were spoiled and cherished by your fellow pack members, but Yor still grew up responsible somehow. In the beginning of establishing yourself and your pack in this city, you created “The Lair” along with some other bars to be a place where supers and humans could go seek help. If there were to happen a conflict between supers and/or humans, one could seek “official/legal” help from one of such places. “The Lair” was a supernatural creature-oriented bar, so any super could seek help here. 

 

You throw a glance at Yor, and they acknowledge your request. They press a rune underneath the counter, and a barely visible barrier surrounds you. This barrier doesn’t let any sound escape outside, keeping your conversation private. Yor smiles with a satisfied smile at you. It’s not often he gets to interact with the runes he has all over the bar. You decide to fill them in about the matter between you and the twins (Kuang and Leng), along with the strange thing you felt on the edge of your territory.





————————————————————








Your car pulls up to the cabin with a roar of the engine before it dies out. You exit the vehicle with a tiered grunt. The night brings a pleasant chill to the skin. The day was full of events, it seemed endless, but finally, it ended. You crack your neck gently and, without looking up, trudge to the cabin. You enter quietly and head straight for the stairs, wishing you could just get to your bed and drown in it.

 

You were awakened from your daydreaming rather rashly. You were standing at the entrance to your living room. There was gentle blue light illuminating the room, which made the room look surprisingly cool and comforting. Only if the lightning wasn’t coming from the sharp bone that was too near your throat for comfort. On the other side of the room stood Sans. Without your senses, you could see that he was furious. Sans's hand was stretched toward you, his left eye glowing brightly with blue and yellow light. 



“Where is Papyrus?! What did you do to him?!!”



You try lifting your hands slowly but stop as soon as you feel the pressure on your throat. This skeleton is totally out of his mind to dare to threaten you like this, but you could see the anxiety, the grief(?), and the pain rolling off him. You speak slowly and with a guarded voice in an attempt to soothe him.



“Papyrus is at his friends' house.”



Sans didn’t let you finish; you could see him sweating profusely.



“What, friends?! Where is Papyrus?!!” 



“His monster friends Sans, the Dreemurr family. He called me and told me he was staying for a sleepover there.”



You patiently tell him there’s no point in you getting angry. Or so you thought. His following words made you rage at him. You could see how his shoulders relaxed slightly, but the bone near your throat didn’t go anywhere. 



“How could you take him away without telling me?!”

 

“Maybe because you left him first!? Poor Papyrus was so lonely and scared on this unknown surface to him, but what did his dear brother do!? He left him every day and night to stand and ogle at a giant tree in the backyard!!”

 

You were riled up. You felt so so bad for the poor Papyrus, and because you could feel his loneliness and pain from his brothers' actions, you couldn’t hold back your emotions. You didn’t care about the drop of blood running down your throat, and you didn’t care about how Sans flinched. You started walking toward him, the bone or the magic in Sans’s eyes not existing anymore. With each step toward him, Sans would take a step back. In the end, Sans was squeezed into the wall, with you towering over him. You glare down at him.

 

“You decided it was okay for you to threaten me in my own house? Yes, my bad that I didn’t warn you, but I wouldn’t have had to if you were here when Papyrus, your brother(!), was feeling miserable and crying on the kitchen floor!”

 

You wanted to berate him some more but had to stop abruptly. Sans was squeezed into the wall, sweat apparent on his skull. His eyelights disappeared completely, so you couldn’t really understand where he was looking. His whole body was slightly trembling. He looked like he wasn't even breathing. (You don’t know if he has to breathe, but it still didn’t help.) 

 

What scared you more was the way his core was pulsating, you knew too well what was going on, and it scared you. You watched in dread as his core was pulsing and twisting, waiting for his core to collapse. For him to give up.

 

You were so busy looking at his core that you didn't pay attention to the pulsating white light coming from his rib cage area. Neither did you pay attention to how you grabbed your chest area, where every monster knows is the human soul supposed to be.

 

In a rushed panic, you grab him by his shoulders and shake him up. You said with urgency and panic in your voice.

 

“SANS! Papyrus is okay! He still needs you! Just think about how sad he will be! It will not help him knowing that his brother gave up because of him! Just think about your brother Sans! Don`t give up, Sans!”

 

You were spouting all kinds of nonsense just to keep him grounded. You don't know how long time has passed, but you had to stop as Sans stumbled forward. You were surprised and dragged along with him onto the ground as you attempted to catch him. 

 

You were lying on the floor, Sans on top of you. He was not moving. You were lying there as dread set in. Did you just kill him? Did you just kill him with a few words?




But all those upcoming thoughts of panic were stopped as you felt a slight rise of his rib cage against you. You looked down at his face and saw that he was fast asleep. He had big dark eye bags under his eyes. His features are of someone who hasn't slept in decades. But he was asleep now, his facial expression showing actual peace, and most importantly, his core was back to normal. You cover your eyes with your hand and laugh lightly from all this situation. It's been a long time since you have been on such a rollercoaster of emotions.

 

You gently roll Sans on the side and get up from underneath him. With some maneuvering, you lift him up, almost sending him flying into the roof. You haven't paid attention, but he didn't weigh as much as you expected.

 

On the other hand, it was expected that he was just a pile of bones. You carry Sans princess style to the second floor, stopping before the door leading to his room. On the one hand, you don't want to breach his privacy, but simultaneously, you can see how much he needs to sleep with comfort. You sigh and push the door open with your hip. It was dark in the room, but you decided not to turn the lights on for fear of waking Sans up. You stepped into the room and onto one of many papers lying all around the floor. His bookshelf is full of books of unknown origin, along with many empty mugs from coffee and empty ketchup bottles. This looks like a room of a scholar or a scientist. 

 

You maneuver yourself around the stacks of books and paper on the floor. You gently put Sans down on his bed, ensuring his head is on the pillow. You pick up the blanket from the floor and throw it over him. You don't know if skeletons feel temperature, but you surely didn't want to find out if they can get a cold. Sans was lying worryingly unmoving on the bed. You had to make sure that he was still breathing. Not even once did he stir when you were moving him around. You plop yourself down on the floor, your back supported by the bed. You glance at the window, seeing only darkness and bright shining stars in the night sky. It must already be the middle of the night. You let out a long, slow exhale. This day has been a long one.

Chapter 15: Nightmares

Chapter Text

You must have dozed off as the sudden noise awakened you. You turn your head and see Sans tossing and turning violently on his bed. His face was fixed in a deep frown, sweat dripping down his temple. You stand up and hover over him, unsure of what to do. You look down at his face, full of fear and pain. You see how his rib cage jumps up and down erratically in an attempt to take a full breath. The small noises of crying reach your ear, and you can't stop feeling like you were punched in the gut. Your breathing becomes out of control as your hand sneaks up to lie on your chest. 

 

What are those feelings? What is wrong with you? Why does it pain you so much to see Sans in this state?

 

You could hear another tiny cry from the bed, and at this point, you didn't care what it was. As Sans tossed around again, you gently caught his hand. As you were to wake him up, his phalanges caught your attention. You gently stroke his boney hand with your thumb and marvel at how his bones hold together. You don't know how long you stood there, but as if mesmerized, you looked at those snow-white bones full of tiny scratches and scuffs. You gently lift his hand nearer to you. You lean in and kiss gently on the back of his hand as his name gently leaves your lips. 

 

"Sans…"

 

And you freeze as if struck by lightning, your muscles all tense up in an attempt to move. But your body felt as heavy as a mountain as you struggled to breathe.

Like a ragdoll, you were sent flying into the wall. A loud crack echoed in the room. Your head was first to connect with the wall. You couldn't hold back a painful grunt and a string of curses as your body, not supported by any force, hit the floor. You were breathing heavily and trying to hold still. The room was spinning, and you felt like throwing up. Slowly you looked down at your arm, even that tiny motion making you dizzy. Your wrist was bent in completely the wrong way. You gritted your teeth as you understood that your wrist was broken. Except for your heavy breathing and occasional grunts of pain, the room was eerily quiet. You look up and spot Sans sitting upright on the bed, hand outstretched in your direction, big blue sweat drops running down his temples. You could only guess that whatever sent you flying must have been Sans's magic. As your eyes gaze at the empty eye sockets, you can see his eyes lights slowly returning. He must have just woken up.

 

You could see the moment Sans realized what he had done. His eye lights were trembling violently. Both his hands flew up to his teeth, covering them, his forever grin gone. You looked at how his eyes filled with blue-colored tears running down his cheeks. His whole body shook violently with sudden tremors. You could only silently watch how Sans broke entirely down. What scared you the most was how he wasn't making any sound. 

 

From Papyrus's story, you knew the brothers lived tightly in the same house, so Sans must have held back a lot not to bother his brother. You should be angry at him and blame him, but somehow looking at Sans breaking down hurts you too much. You gather yourself together, and with your good hand, you support yourself. You almost fall back as the room just inclines strongly to the left, but you catch yourself last second. You stand up, pain shooting through your head. You quietly growl in irritation but still wobble your way to the bed. You hover over Sans, looking down at his trembling posture, and sigh. 

 

With your good hand, you pick him up and slide onto the bed. You hiss as your head rings, and your hand shoots with pain. You perch your upper body on the pillows and have Sans sit/lay on your lap. You breathe heavily but slowly slow it down, in and out. You glance at Sans and understand that he is completely gone in his panic attack. Sans is still tightly holding his mouth shut with his hands, not letting a sound out. You gently hold one of his hands, trying to pry it away, while murmuring:

 

"It's okay, Sans, everything's fine. Let it all out. Shhh. Just cry out loud, Sans, Papyrus is not at home. You will not have to worry about him."

 

Sans doesn't seem to react. You pry one hand away from his mouth and gently place his hand around your neck. You do the same with the other hand. Now you have Sans lying on top of you, his hands around your neck, holding tightly onto your back. You were holding Sans tightly, your good hand around his waist. 

 

"It's okay, Sans, you're safe here with me. I got you. Now you must breathe, Sans, come on repeat after me. In and out."

 

You started breathing slowly, lifting your rib cage in an attempt for Sans to follow. It takes a hot minute, but you can feel Sans's breath in sync with you. You felt like your head was about to explode from all this movement. Now that you had a second to think, you glanced down. A bright white light was shining in Sans's rib cage area. The longer you looked, the more you fell into a state of trance. Something in you wanted to lift his white T-shirt, to look nearer at whatever it was. To touch whatever it was, you could swear you could hear a humming sound. You moved your hand to lift his T-shirt and see what it was but were awakened by the pain in your wrist. You hissed gently. You had to brace yourself as Sans suddenly sprung up. He had his hands on your stomach. He was sitting in a "rider" position on top of you. Your good hand was on Sans's thigh bone, supporting him. You looked up at Sans. His white T-shirt was crooked, one side fell off his shoulder, and his shorts were hanging low on his hip bones. The white light was still vivid underneath his T-shirt. His skull was stained with traces of blue tears. His eyes lights were intensely staring at you with worry. 

 

"Y/N! A-are you okay? Oh my god, what did I-I do? This is my fault. Everything was so much l-lately and a-all the nightmares and I-I just…."

 

He didn't finish as a new wave of tears started running down his face, and for some reason, your heart was crying along with him. 

 

"It's okay, Sans. Everybody has a bad day. It's good that you don't hold everything inside."

 

You gently wiped away his tears with your good hand. You couldn't stop yourself from licking the tears off your fingers to seek some pain relief. And you were met with Sans's surprised eyes as if you were doused with cold water. Your eyes must have changed color to green. 

 

“Y/N your eyes…they, they are…”

 

And there was the confirmation of your thoughts. What is going on? Why is your defense so down around these skeletons? This situation is absurd. What kind of magic did he use to make you act like this?

 

In anger and frustration, you flipped each other around. You ignored how your whole world spun. Sans was sprawled underneath you as you held him in place with your entire body. In your anger, you didn't hide your shining green eyes. You stared at Sans in rage. To your satisfaction surprise, Sans didn't protest or try getting out. His eyes lights were intently staring into your green eyes. 

 

"What are you doing to me, Sans? What kind of magic is it?"

 

He winced.

 

"I'm s-sorry, it was my blue magic. I didn't intend to use it on you. I would never use such magic on you w-without your consent. I'm really sorry."

 

"Never? So except for your blue magic, you have never used any other magic on me?"

 

Sans only does a slight nod, and you sigh in defeat. You could tell from his core that he wasn't lying. Another wave of pain came from your head and wrist. You looked down upon Sans. Now there's only one way out of this situation. In your concussion head, that is . You grow,l and lower your face to Sans's. He had only time to flinch as you connected your lips with his teeth. They were surprisingly soft. Sans mumbled in protest, but it was too late. His body was reflexively relaxed. You pried his mouth open and were surprised to be met with a tongue. Sans was entirely charmed by your magic. Sweat covered his skull, along with a deep blue blush. You distanced yourself ever so slightly. A small green "path" of magic was connected between yours and Sans's mouth. Your green eyes were shining brightly, and as the magic flowed into you, you could feel your head and wrist regenerate. You bit the "path" off when you were fully healed. Sans's eye lights were fuzzy and unconcentrated. He was sprawled on the bed, breathing heavily, deep blue blush on his cheekbones. You couldn't stop a grin appear on your face. You gently stroke his cheekbone with now healed hand, capturing his unfocused gaze, and whispered.

 

"Sleep, Sans. Forget everything of this night, and sleep peacefully."

 

Sans closed his eyes, and his breath slowly evened out. He was sound asleep. You lifted yourself and sat on the edge of the bed. You cracked your neck and threw a look at Sans. Sigh.

 

"I really need that appointment with the head witch." 

 

You stood up and headed towards the door. You threw the last look at Sans and gently closed the door.





In the now completely dark room, only the soft snoring of the sleeping skeleton could be heard. A batch of fresh blood could be seen on the wall where y/n hit their head. Should there have been a witness, they could have witnessed how the blood was absorbed at a fast pace into the wall. And just like that, there were no traces of blood left.

Chapter 16: Chap 16: Time has come

Summary:

Inspiration is in the air. Not gonna lie.

Chapter Text

Days slowly flowed past as you were left with conflicted feelings. You could see the change in the brothers. Papyrus didn't depend on Sans so much now that he knew you were ready to drive him to his friends whenever. And Sans was ensuring his brother wouldn't feel like Sans had abandoned him. 

 

In subsequent weeks, you caught Papyrus standing outside in the backyard at dawn. 

The sky was colored in shades of purple, red, and orange, creating a breathtaking picture. The early sun rays fell on the forest, scaring away the darkness of the past night. Waking up the inhabitants living there, you could hear the birds singing their happy tune for yet another new day in the middle of all that stood Papyrus. He was staring at the sunrise as he was panting, orange sweat running down his temples after his morning workout. His sleeveless white t-shirt clung to his frame. He closed his eye sockets and forwarded his skull toward the sunrays as if willing to absorb all of them. You could see how peaceful and calm he was, which surprised you the first time you saw him. But now you understand that this is part of him too. Papyrus was like the sun, calm and beautiful for those who were to be there when he rose. Blinding and full of heat when it was time to meet the new day and new people. 



On the other hand, Sans asked about your basement, and after some questioning, it came down to his desire to build something. He wasn't willing to explain anything, but you weren't one to pry as long as he didn't explode or set your house on fire. You told him just that, but you weren't worrying since your basement was designed to be a bunker of sorts. Each centimeter of the surface was covered in runes and magic circles that were invisible to the naked eye. You unlocked the door to the basement, and as you moved down the steps, you couldn't see a single speck of dust. You haven't set foot in here for many years, but the runes kept the room clean and supplied it with fresh air. The basement consisted of two rooms, the one that was bigger was chosen by Sans to be perfect for whatever he wanted to do. You helped him clean up the boxes with stuff left behind by your pack, which they never ended up taking with them. He nicely asked you not to set foot into the room, and you could only agree. And since then, it has been three weeks, and you were right to assume that Sans will hole up there. You had no idea what he was doing there, but you could rarely hear the sounds of metal meeting metal. 



You have found a peaceful middle with the skeletons throughout the past weeks. Your mornings started with Papyrus gently knocking on your door. You respond with a groan but still get up and ready. You trudge down the stairs with what you now started calling "morning Papyrus." You enter the bright kitchen and sit down in one of the chairs, laying your head down on your crossed hands on the table. You stare at Papyrus's back as he hums some tune while making breakfast. The rays of sun peeking through the window, landing on the tall skeleton, making him look even more adorable than he is. He turns around and slides to you, placing a warm cup of tea and a plate with pancakes before you while taking a seat opposite you. Papyrus looks expectedly at you as you collect yourself together and sit straighter. You look up at him, smile, and say the words that he expects so much. 

 

"Good morning, Papyrus."




*Third person view: Papyrus*

 

"Good morning, Papyrus."

 

Your smile was gentle and warm, your e/c eyes looking straight at his eyes lights. He couldn't stop the wide smile spreading on his skull, his own voice answering to you. 

 

"Good Morning To You Too, Human, Nyeh Heh Heh."

 

He felt so calm and peaceful with you here that he couldn't stop but use his inside voice. He didn't want this morning's peacefulness interrupted by anything, even his voice. He didn't know when he felt the need for this calming morning with you, but he found himself unable to resist. He found he had gotten used to the surface for the past weeks. The sun was standing up, shining brightly at everything, how the air here was nothing compared to the underground, how his monster friends were getting happier and happier with each passing day. He got used to you being there for him, looking at him with a gentle smile. Something fluttered in his soul every time you threw your rare gentle smiles. He stared at how you were lazily eating your pancakes, trying to memorize each movement. As you lifted your gaze, Papyrus hastily turned his gaze down. With his everything, he was trying not to blush. 

 

Papyrus couldn't hold his smile. Today was Friday, which meant your every week's movie night. After the incident in the kitchen (him crying his eye sockets out, like some baby bones), Y/N come up with the idea of having a movie night every week. And Papyrus couldn't remember when he felt so good, so happy. The monsters were on the surface. On the surface, he and Sans had a house they could call home here. He could see all the popular movies Frisk told him about, cuddled up in a blanket with you on one side and Sans on the other. 

 

He threw his last glance at you before springing into action, the peacefulness was pleasant, but he had so much to do! Papyrus collected your plates and headed to the sink. Yet again, he was humming a tune. If anyone from the underground heard him, they would understand it was the tune that the statue in Waterfall was playing. Papyrus could feel your gaze on him, which was unnerving him initially. He was scared that you would look at him like other humans did. Disgust, pity, hatred, and so on. But. Your gaze was far from such emotions. With time he understood that you looked at him, but you weren't here. He paid attention to how your gaze would linger on something, and you would just stare, your thoughts entirely elsewhere. 

 

As Papyrus was done with the kitchen, he spun on his heels to face you and hesitated for a second before beaming at you. 

 

"HUMAN! I, THE GREAT PAPYRUS, HAVE A FAVOR TO ASK FROM YOU!"

 

You had your hand supporting your head from falling unto the table and possibly falling asleep. Your gaze slowly shifted upwards as you gently mumbled into your hand.

 

"Do tell, darling."

 

"I WAS ASKED BY THE QUEEN AND KING TO BE THE OFFICIAL MONSTER MASCOT! AND I WANTED TO ASK YOU IF YOU WERE WILLING TO HELP ME WITH GETTING TO THE NEEDED PLACES!!! I KNOW IT MAY BE AN INCONVENIENCE TO YOU, SO I WOULD LIKE TO PAY YOU FOR…"

 

Papyrus was cut off as you said something. Because of you mumbling into your hand Papyrus didn't quite catch it.

 

"Sure."

 

"I'M SORRY, HUMAN. I DIDN'T QUITE CATCH THAT!"

 

"I said sure, no problem, and I don't need payment. I'm good."

 

Papyrus couldn't help but stare. He didn't expect you to agree. Papyrus felt his soul do another flutter. 

 

"THANK YOU, HUMAN!!!! I AM SO HAPPY THAT I HAVE SUCH A HUMAN FRIEND LIKE YOU! I WILL IMMEDIATELY GET BACK TO YOU ABOUT THE SCHEDULE WHEN I TALK TO THE KING!!!"

 

Papyrus was so happy that he couldn't hold himself back as he lifted you gently to hug you. You readily accepted the hug, giving one in return and patting him on his back.

 

"No problem."



*Third person: You*

 

You don't know what made you agree, but somehow you don't regret the decision. You were happy to see Papyrus getting out of the house and getting that much-needed to him social interaction. 

 

As time flew too fast, the promised two months were over. And the wolf from the white side happily announced to you that the apartment for Sans and Papyrus was ready. You smiled at the wolf, making her almost drop on the floor with her belly up, thanking her for the news. You were met with two torn-up eye lights as you closed the entrance door and turned around. Papyrus was looking at you with sadness and pain while Sans looked somewhere to the side. You knew for a fact he was glancing in the direction of your tree. You still caught Sans standing beside your tree sometimes, but he never tried touching it again, so in the end, you decided to leave him be. 

 

As you stared at Sans in thought, Papyrus suddenly shook his head and looked down at Sans in determination. When they meet each other's gaze, as if communicating telepathically, Sans nods and just slumps. On the other hand, Papyrus turns his attention back to you, and his voice booms louder than usual, his voice tense and nervous.

 

"HUMAN N-NO Y/N, I KNOW THAT WE WERE SUPPOSED TO MOVE OUT OF THE HOUSE IN TWO MONTHS, BUT FOR THE PAST TWO MONTHS, I AND SANS CAME TO REALLY LOVE THIS PLACE. THIS IS ACTUALLY THE FIRST PLACE ON THE SURFACE WE WANT TO CALL HOME. I KNOW WE MAY BE OF ASKING TOO MUCH, BUT WE BOTH WISH TO STAY IN THIS HOUSE AND CALL IT OUR HOME IN THE FUTURE!!!"

 

Papyrus was looking straight into your eyes, his pose screaming with confidence. On the other hand, you could see how Sans was slouching, his skull covered in sweat as he was nervously staring at your feet. 

 

You covered your eyes with your hand, slowly breathing in and out and trying to decide how you felt about this. You didn't have time to meet with the head witch. You didn't know what was going on. Why were you feeling and doing such strange things that were not normal to you? Your breathing evened out as you peeked at the skeletons through your fingers. You could see how with each second, Papyrus's confident pose was slowly melting away, giving way to nervousness and hope. Sans was now staring at his feet, not even looking up at you. You closed your fingers again, sighing. You don't care, heck even if they put a curse on you or something, you didn't care at this point. You felt so lonely for the past decades and got used to the skeletons. No, you needed their company. You were slowly rotting away here in this cabin, and the skeletons made you feel alive. You remove your hand while sighing. 

 

"Yes…" You look up at them and say in a gentle voice, giving up a smile on your face. 

 

"Welcome home, Sans, Papyrus."

 

You were swept away by Papyrus as he was laughing in delight. You stole a glance at Sans, he was still looking down at the floor, but he had the brightest smile you have seen on his face.

Chapter 17: Don't touch le tree

Notes:

I got good news and bad news.

Bad news; idk I have conflicted feelings about this chapter, so I may rewrite it later on.

Good news; In the next chapter or two, the au's are coming in, eyyyy :>

(P.S. I'm actually thinking about adding Underlust or/and Dancetale to this explosive mix later on, do tell me in le comments what ya think.)

Chapter Text

You were slowly swinging back and forth on the swings attached to your tree. You don't remember which of your pack mates put it here, but it's been here long enough to be your space for reflection. 

 

The night breeze gently touches your body as you swing back and forth. Your bare feet gently touch the cold ground with each slow swing. Your gaze is directed upwards, looking at the shiny stars and full moon. You could feel somebody watching you, but you didn't worry. He is already a presence you are used to. 

 

If Papyrus were the sun, you would compare Sans to the moon. The stars surrounded it, but it still looked lonely. It looked cold but caring, with an inner light ready to help those in need. You swing gently back and forth, ignoring the gaze strained on you, ignoring the upcoming problems. It's just you, your tree, and this swing.




------------------------------




The smell of chamomille attacks your sense of smell as you take a step inside the apartment. You slide off your shoes and shuffle inside. The apartment was made of the latest fashion trends; your eyes strained to look at all the marble. You sit yourself down on the sofa, which you are sure costs more than your whole house does. Just as you got comfortable, a young woman's voice sounded from behind you.

 

“You're surprisingly early today, Alpha. Usually, you will be at least thirty minutes late.”

 

You just throw a glance behind you before looking back ahead at the magically lit fireplace…in an apartment. The woman moves around the sofa to sit opposite you on one of the armchairs. The woman or maybe the word teenager would suit better. The person before you looks to be in her late teens. She has a “male cut” dyed into vibrant blue color, and her ears, nose, and eyebrow are covered in piercings. Her arms and hands peeking from underneath the pink flannel, are covered in different tattoos.

 

“Not in a talking mood today, Alpha? Now you actually look like an Alpha, being all gloomy and important.”

 

It was said with a shit ton of sarcasm, but it was what made you break out into a slight grin.

 

“Mary, you know why I am here. Those strange bonds on my tree trunk aren't exactly making me jump with happiness.”

 

You said tiredly to your head witch. Who looked at you with a bright smile as if this situation was entertaining her. Which it probably was. You sigh and throw another glance at her. Mary has been in your pack for over a decade, but she doesn't seem to get any older. As if her looks froze in her late teens. 

 

“How so! I think it’s such an interesting phenomenon! I’ve been so busy lately with all the new information about the monsters and their culture. How don’t you understand Alpha? It’s like a completely new unexplored territory! Especially their magic! Did you know their magic is strongly connected to one's soul? And damn, those souls are completely another topic….”

 

You silently listened to her, nodding there and here as she paced around the room in excitement. Her tongue wasn’t fast enough for her brain, so it wasn’t surprising to you when she jumped from topic to topic. At one point, you stood up, went to the kitchen, and filled a glass of water. When presented with the water, Mary was distracted enough that you chimed in. 

 

“I’m happy that you are having fun and found another interesting topic to concentrate on. I have a lingering feeling that the bonds I told you about are connected to the monsters too.”

 

“Why didn’t you say so from the start?! Quickly lay down on the sofa. We gotta check it out!” 

 

You did as instructed, lying down on the sofa. Your head was positioned on Mary's lap. You felt her fingers gently grasp your temple. As she gently imbued her magic, the green runes on your temple appeared. Those runes were tattooed there by Mary herself. Being a dryad, you were strongly weak to mental magic, which was unacceptable as an Alpha. So she had specially created those runes for you. They were acting as a mental shield from any unwanted probing. They were invisible to the naked eye, but should you use your magic, they would light up in vibrant green—the color of your magic. 

 

When you blink, you open your eyes inside your “inner world,” as Mary calls it. You are again inside the dark space in your mind, but you are not alone this time. You could see Mary already beside your tree trunk. She is looking at the two white bonds wrapped around your trunk. You slowly start walking up to Mary while looking at all the bonds. You pay extra attention to the six bonds of your inner pack. As your walk, a shade of red covers you. You look up and see the leaves shimmering in different shades of red. 

 

“This is interesting. I’ve never seen bonds of a bright snow color, grey, yes, but completely white. Never.”

 

Mary’s voice echoes around this space as you stop in your tracks to stand beside her. Your eyes land on the white bonds, and you can’t stop but look at them in fascination. You glance at Mary. She intently stares at the bonds and snaps her fingers on her right hand in deep thought. You’ve often seen her do that. It’s some sort of action to help her concentrate her thoughts. 

 

“What do you think, Mary?”

 

She violently shakes her head and looks up at you with a grin. 

 

“Dude, this is just so fascinating, and I actually have no idea! This looks like a solid bond, but you said it appeared within just a few days. That is impossible only if you save that person's life. Or rather… monsters' life! I’m like eighty-seven percent sure this is a bond to a monster. As I told you before, I’ve learned that monsters' souls are white. I never got to see it, yet, but damn if this isn’t proof of it.” 

 

Mary walks around your trunk, looking in excitement at the bonds. You stepped forward to stop her when she found where the bonds were stretched into the black void. But it was too late as she pulled on one of the bonds, which was shining brighter than the other. 

 

And you fell.




*Besides your tree in reality*

 

Sans didn’t understand why you were allowed to be near the tree, and he wasn’t. He was the soulmate, he, not you. Sans couldn’t stop the feeling of jealousy sweeping over him as he took some steps nearer to the peeking roots. He was staring at the roots intently, he just needed to stretch his hand out, and he would touch the roots. But Sans was scared. What would happen to his soulmate if he did that? He tried ignoring the little thought of nothing happening; he wouldn’t be able to take it. 

 

He was left staring for some time, and just as he was to leave, something pulled his soul forward. He couldn’t stop his momentum as he fell forward. His kneecaps painfully connected with the ground, and his arms stretched out to not faceplant. A small upside-down heart floated before him; it had a big scar going through the middle. Sans felt dread creep in as he understood that his right hand was lying on top of a root. 

 

Everything seemed to freeze for a moment, the clearing tranquil of any sound. The ground shook violently. Sans felt something slither between his fibula and tibia bones. He glanced down and saw roots coil around his legs. With a setting in panic, Sans looked back up to capture his soul and push it back in place. 

 

But he froze. 

 

Sans could see his soul dancing in the air happily, shining brightly as if screaming, “I’m here!” to his soulmate. Sans felt another pair of roots slithered up his hands, but he couldn’t care. He was staring at the soul that was in the tree trunk. Your soul was like a beacon of light, shining strongly as if trying to scare away enemies with just the radiance of your soul. And he could see that your soul was furious. Sans tried breaking free, not being able to shortcut without his soul. Sans suddenly felt his body being lifted from the ground, his soul following just a few centimeters away from his rib cage. He was now hanging right before your tree trunk. He felt how the roots painfully squeezed his bones, on the verge of breaking them. 

 

It stopped just as abruptly as it started, Sans didn’t know when he closed his eye sockets, but he opened them abruptly when he felt a slight touch to his soul. A thin brunch of yours was carefully touching his soul. Even in this situation, Sans felt ecstatic. His soulmate was right before him; looking at your brightly shining, moving soul, he knew that you were alive. 

Sans shuddered as the brunch gently nudged Sans’s soul again.





*Your Pov*

 

You don’t know how your mind was pulled into your main body, but it was just in time to stop from breaking all of Sans’s bones. Your roots tightly bound him as he was hanging before your tree. You warned him not to come near your main body; you felt fury rise in you. How dare he come near you when you were defenseless. But you quickly snapped out of the emotional storm. You were about to let him go when you felt a shock surge through your whole being. Your eyes snapped in the direction of a floating upside-down white heart. From Mary’s words, you could understand it was a soul, a monster's soul, Sans’s soul. Your branch gently touched the soul again, sending another shock wave through you. Suddenly you wanted that soul as near you as possible; you felt the incredible feeling as your branch gently wrapped around the soul.

 

“Please don’t! I am your soulmate! I didn’t mean to anger you!”

 

Sans was screaming in panic in your direction, trying to struggle free from the roots. What was he talking about? Your gaze fell on the soul in your branches; as if awakened, you saw a white thread go out of the soul. It was connected to your own tree, and at this moment, you understood that this was the mysterious bond that had been bothering you for the past months. You gently let go of the soul while lowering Sans to the ground, letting him go from all of your roots. You stared intently at how he pushed his soul back into his ribcage, keeping his hands on his ribcage as if stopping the soul from running away again. For an unknown reason, you felt unsatisfied with what he did; you shook your crown of leaves, some of your leaves slowly cascading down to the ground. Sans was intently staring at you; you could feel how he felt conflicted, scared, hopeful, and happy. You could feel his emotions through the bond, which now was brighter and thicker than before. Sans took a step closer to you, but you stopped him with one of your roots and nudged him toward the house. You felt like you were falling again, so you returned all of your roots in place and let the feeling consume you. 



Chapter 18: Sweet Dreams

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Your eyes flew open as your body shuddered in an attempt to take a much-needed breath. Taking in your surroundings, you felt green fresh cold grass tickling your arms. A light night breeze tickled your bare feet, and the breeze brought you the familiar scent of chamomile. You were lying on your back, sprawled out on the ground. You knew this was Mary’s backyard from the amount of chamomile surrounding you. Laying here in the calming smell of this flower, you understood why Mary loved it so much. You sigh, and you direct your lazy gaze upwards toward the shining stars in the night sky. You close your eyes again, breathing deeply, as you fall into a trance. Connecting yourself with the earth, connecting yourself with your roots that were everywhere. They were leading thousands of kilometers away. You saw how a young fawn took a step on its shaking legs. Another second and you were many kilometers away, before you an image of an owl flapping its wings in silence as it descended on a small rodent. Another breath and you could see the bustling of teenagers beside a bar, an old man slowly taking a night walk, a woman sitting on a bench, a child, a cat, a dog… and so much more. Images flashed in your mind as you took in everything, the whole city in the hand of your palm. Another deep breath in and out, gently you opened your shimmering green eyes as you felt a presence beside you. Mary was hovering over your lying form, hands on her hips as you felt her not so gently nudge your side with her foot. 

 

“You not dead yet, Alpha? What the fuck was that? One second I just touched a bond, and the next second I’m thrown out into the real world. You know how strong of a headache I have now?”

 

You could only furrow your eyebrows and stare her in the eyes. 

 

“Mary, the definition of the word soulmate.”

 

She mimicked your face by furrowing her eyebrows and tilting her head to the side.

 

“A soulmate; is a person ideally suited to another as a close friend or romantic partner. First appeared in 1822 as soul mate , first attested in Coleridge, in human history, that is. 

 

It is known as a term widely used on the supernatural side to describe somebody whose fates are tightly tied together. If we take witches, a soulmate is somebody who complements their magic perfectly; it may be more than platonic but happens rarely. On the other hand, shapeshifters hold that word dearly to their culture as it indicates their only and forever mate.”

 

Mary is studying your face as if to make sure you haven’t gone completely nuts. You sigh and cover your eyes with your hand. You knew so much, but you had hoped you remembered wrong.  A soulmate, huh? Now you sure know what those bonds were, which explains your strange mood swings. From Sans’s reaction, you knew that it was a monster thing rather than your race thing. You knew shamefully too little about your race, never too curious to find out more. 

 

You felt a shift beside you as Mary sat cross-legged down, her gaze on you, studying, calculating. You could only smile at her curiosity; you were one of the reasons she decided to stay here for longer. She wanted to study you and your race since she had never met a dryad before.

 

“Mary”

 

She perked up, looking at your curiously. 

 

“Find out everything you can about monster bonds and soulmates, and do so discreetly as possible.”

 

You looked at how your words sunk in, and slowly her lips started spreading into a maniacal smile. Her eyes shone brightly with the ideas that were swirling in her head. Her voice rose in volume as she squealed in excitement.

 

“Does that mean those bonds were…iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!”

 

Her hands shook in the excitement. Right now, she looked like any other teenager reacting to a romance scene in a book.

 

“Not a soul can hear about it, especially my pack.”

 

She nods vigorously, her thoughts already somewhere else. You could only sigh heavily and regret all of your life decisions.



---------------------



You were perched at the top of the stairs, gazing down at how Papyrus scolded Sans for being a lazy bone and berating him for not eating any meals with us lately. Sans apologized half-heartedly, but you were sure he wasn’t even listening to Papyrus, a loopy grin plastered on his face. Sans looked like that since he made a connection with your tree. On that day, you were hesitant to come back home, dreading what Sans might do, but that block of bones was as oblivious as ever. You could only guess that he didn’t connect you and the tree being the same being. 

 

You silently watched the interaction between the brothers, feeling happiness, hope, restlessness, and strong despair. It would all be okay if you knew for a fact that those feelings weren’t yours. Since Sans touched your tree, the bond between you two grew stronger, letting you feel Sans; so far, you knew you felt only his strong emotions. As if they echoed in your being, you had to make sure not to take them for your own. 

 

You didn’t know what the gnawing feeling of despair that Sans was feeling was, and neither did you know the reason for his restlessness. 

 

Your eyes connected with the white eye lights that were staring up at you. You continued to study Sans’s face, his dopey smile not disappearing, but a sweat drop appearing on his temple. A soulmate, huh? The staring contest was interrupted as Papyrus' frame covered Sans completely. Is Papyrus also your soulmate? 

 

“Y/N?”

 

You evidently had two bonds connected to you, but at the same time, it could be any other monster you have met because you couldn’t pinpoint the exact time the bonds appeared. 

 

“Y/N!?”

 

You snapped your eyes open, not remembering closing them. Papyrus was crouched down before you. Even though he was positioned one step lower, his frame was big enough to be on your eye level. You must have dozed off. Papyrus was looking at you with worry. Your gaze shifts to the smaller skeleton still standing on the first floor. His gaze was now directed at you. His grin went back to normal. 

 

“ARE YOU OKAY, FRIEND? IT DOESN'T LOOK COMFORTABLE TO BE SLEEPING HERE!”

 

After the latest incidents, your sleeping schedule wasn't the greatest. The body you created from scratch with magic functions just like any other normal human body would. So in order for it to function well, you still needed much-needed sleep. You can only gaze at Papyrus tiredly and smile gently.

 

“I was just feeling sleepy, must have dozed off.”

 

You could see how Papyrus's cheeks flushed with a gentle orange hue. And the next second, you let out a small sound of surprise as you were easily lifted off the ground. Papyrus was holding you princess-style in his hands. 

 

“IN ORDER TO GET A GOOD SLEEP, ONE HAS TO SLEEP ON SOMETHING SUITABLE!!! DO YOU WISH TO SLEEP ON THE SOFA, OR SHOULD I CARRY YOU TO YOUR BED?”

 

You could only smile tiredly up at him. You should have told Papyrus to put you down, to not carry you like this, but you didn't have the energy. You felt how warm his embrace was, how gently he was holding you, and you missed it, really. So you gently pointed in the direction of your room. That must have been enough for Papyrus as he easily climbed the spiral stairs toward the attic. He stopped before your room door, looking down at you. You knew if you asked him to put you down, he would, but you didn't want to part with this warmth just yet. So you nodded to him, and he gently opened the door and trudged in, with you still held tightly to his rib cage. 

 

You could see his eyes lights darting around in curiosity since the brothers had never stepped foot in there. Your room wasn't the biggest, but neither was it the smallest. The right wall had three sliding doors that were the height of the room, and they were made of dark wood. If one were to open them, they would find a big garderobe. On the floor, a big fluffy sky blue colored carpet was sprawled. Besides it, your favorite California king-sized bed was standing proudly. You and your pack used to have pack cuddles on it all the time. 

 

Two nightstands with lamps are standing on each side of the bed. And the rest of the room was filled with shelves with different trinkets and old books. As Papyrus took another step toward the bed, his gaze lingered on the two closed doors that were on the left wall. To your happiness, Papyrus didn't seem to comment about the pile of clothes that were lying on the floor. As he reached the bed in a few strides, he had really long feet, you noted, as he gently lowered you down on the bed. 

 

“Sleep tightly y/n! I hope you will have wonderful dreams!”

 

Papyrus said gently as he gave you a kiss on the forehead with a loud “MWAH” sound, which made you both giggle. You could feel yourself falling asleep as you grabbed Papyrus's hand as he turned away. Your eyes were already closed, but you still muttered.

 

“Could you stay with me, Papyrus?”

 

You asked him earnestly as you felt a wave of loneliness hit you.

 

“OH … My dear friend, I will never say no to cuddles!”

 

His volume increased out of excitement, but he still laid down beside you as you scooted over to make space for him. You sighed in content as you felt the warmth coming from the skeleton. Even though they were skeletons, their bones were warm and soft to the touch. As you drifted away to sleep, you could hear the gentle “Nyeh-heh-heh” above your ear. 




Being so tired, you didn't understand that the feeling of sudden loneliness wasn’t for a fact yours to begin with.

Notes:

Thank you all for the comments! (Tbh I read them, then re-read them, and then re-read them again and just grin like an idiot every time)
I hope ya all are just as excited as I am for the next chapter (The new skele-boos appearing) because, damn, when I started this fic, I already had the image in my head.
I hope ya all are having an amazing Christmas, my dearies!

Chapter 19

Notes:

Happy soon New Year my dearies!!!

This chapter got lil longer (just a 1000 words longer pffft) hope ya enjoy the chapter just as I did when writing it.
:>

P.S. (I wrote it at three am, whilst being drunk (Do not do it kidssss) so idk how the grammar is in this chapter, but I don't careeee. I just love the skellies!!!)

Chapter Text

The slight tremor of the house awoke you. You tumbled out of bed in confusion. You looked around sleepily. Everything was quiet and silent, Papyrus no longer beside you. As you contemplate if the shaking was just you dreaming, another slight shake runs through the house. The terrain outside is silent, so you know the source was coming from inside the house. And your best guess would be the basement, especially as you felt Sans's emotions being everywhere. You grabbed the nearest hoodie and skipped down the stairs. When you were on the stairs leading to the first floor, you felt a sudden spike of fear coming from Sans. The fear was getting stronger with every step you took. You tried concentrating on your feet not to fall. 

 

You felt a wave of panic from Sans as you reached the door to the basement. There was another tremor to the house. Without another ado, you swung the door open with the harsh words flying off your tongue. You hated being woken up from such a good sleep, and Sans’s emotions weren’t helping you to stay calm.

 

“WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?!”

 

You froze, and so did the people or, rather, monsters in the room. You stared at the pair of new monster skeletons in your basement. They looked like your Sans and Papyrus, but darker(?), or rather word edgier, would suit better. A tall skeleton that looked like Papyrus was standing in front of your Sans. Just like Papyrus, he had some sort of armor attire. His top armor was made of black material, a battered red scarf on his neck, tight black jeans with a red belt, and red leather combat boots on the high heel. His skull had sharp-looking teeth. He had two vertical scars running through his left eye socket. But the most significant difference from your Papyrus was the gaze the edgy Papyrus was looking around with. He was on guard. He was analyzing his surroundings and his chances of survival. You knew immediately that he was a warrior with experience in battle. The sharp red bone he held in his hand strongly supported that theory. 

 

Little to the side behind him stood a more miniature in size skeleton, which had a strong resemblance to Sans. He had a black parka with a pelt on the hood, a red turtleneck underneath it—black shorts with gold stripes on the side, and black sneakers on his feet. The most attention-catching was the black collar with golden spikes on it hanging on his neck and a sharp golden fang seen on his grin. His red eye lights darting between you and your Sans, his skull covered in thick red sweat drops. He was slouched as if the gravitation was too strong to stand straight, his hands hidden away in his pockets. 

 

The basement walls and floor were charred, along with red bones sticking out of the furniture. Your Sans was standing with his back to you. His hand is outstretched towards the newcomers. You felt the buzz of his magic surround you, but this time around, it was in a protective gesture.

 

You took in your surroundings and could only repeat your question.

 

“What the fuck is going on?”

 

It was all that was needed for everyone to go back to action.

 

“Y/N, get out of here! It’s dangerous!”

 

Thank you, Sans, but the red bone that came flying toward you was enough motivation to lunge forward toward a relatively safe zone. You slid your way behind a knocked-over bookshelf and a table. And came face to face with another pair of skeletons, yet again looking like your skelebrothers. You supported your back against the bookshelf, feeling the buzz of magic flying around. 

 

You were met with a loud “WOWIE” from the smaller skeleton, which looked like Sans, but smaller and stars as his eye lights. His attire was a grey t-shirt with a sky-colored bandana on his neck. Grey pants and blue boots. All in all, he looked like a cuter version of Sans. He was just staring over the cover and at the ongoing battle in excitement.

 

The other one looked like Papyrus. He was supporting his back against the furniture just like you. He had a cozy-looking orange hoodie on his torso. Black knee-length shorts that sported a lot of pockets, along with red sneakers. He was staring at you nonchalantly, an unlit cigar between his teeth.

 

What the fuck did Sans do?








“WOWIE PAPY, LOOK, THEY ARE MONSTER SKELETONS LIKE US. I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANY OTHER MONSTER SKELETONS!!!”

 

You were immediately deafened by the volume of the smaller of the skeletons. How did the tiny skeleton have the lunge capacity for that? Technically they don’t have lungs, right? You don’t know anymore. 

 

“This is indeed strange, Sans. Why don’t you ask the person beside you?”

 

You were thrown under the bus by the taller skeleton, but you didn’t care, as a bad feeling was settling down in your stomach. Did they call each other Papy and Sans? As in Papyrus and Sans, right? As the eye stars of the smaller skeleton settled down on you, you could only sigh and try to stay calm. 

 

“OH, HELLO, HUMAN! DO YOU KNOW THOSE MONSTER SKELETONS? AND DO YOU KNOW WHERE WE ARE?”

 

You felt a strong deja-vu as if you were meeting your Papyrus all over again. Just that this skeleton was a tiny bit louder, you can only sigh in defeat and mutter quietly as you attempt to take a peek at the battlefield. 

 

“In my fucking basement.”

 

That was a wrong move as the edgy Papyrus spotted you, and he sent a bone whirling your way. You hastily hid behind your hideout, but that calculating bastard was waiting for it as another bone pierced through the thin wall of the bookshelf and plunged into your left shoulder. 

 

You couldn’t hold back the groan of pain as the blood started seeping out. With the side of your eye, you could see the two skeletons beside you get a look of panic and worry. The skeleton in the orange hoodie gently distanced the small blue skeleton. He was hovering over you as he called out.

 

“Yo, skeleton in the blue parka! What ya call them? Y/N? They were hit! They have a bone in their shoulder, and it isn’t looking good!”

 

“WHAT?! Oh god, no, no, no, no. You two must calm down, or you are about to have a really bad time .

 

You felt worry and rage wash over you, but you knew they were Sans’s emotions. Your back is again supporting against the furniture, the okay hand trying to hold the bone in place not to make the wound worse. What did you get yourself into? At this very moment, you regret all of your life decisions for the past three months. Soulmate or not, but wth? 

 

You hiss in pain as you feel a wave of warmth wash over you. Glancing to the side, you see the small blue skeleton hover over your wound with his hand outstretched, green magic waving in his hands. The green stuff must be green magic, aka healing magic, following the warm feeling you got. Cyan tears were already present in his eye sockets, ready to spill any second. You don’t know when but the skeleton in the orange hoodie has already left your side to calm down the edgy pair. You could only give a weak grin and say tiredly. 

 

“Thanks, buddy, but save the energy. It’s of no use before the bone is removed. And I would rather get out of here before I do pull it out and bleed out.”

 

“As you wish, sweets.”

 

A rough voice could be heard beside you as you felt something grab your good shoulder. The skeleton gave you a toothy grin. His golden fang shone in the light. The small blue skeleton tried to interfere, but it was too late. 









You fell… 









And fell…












Deep…












And even deeper…









You were surrounded by nothingness.







Void.






You felt nothing.






The silence of the void was interrupted by the silent scream of agony . Your whole being was screaming in pain as you were no longer connected to your main tree, your soul , yourself

 

You created ripples throughout the void. For the first time in a long time, something was strong enough to move even the void. The ripples were far and wide as they raged through the void and back. You felt them crash against you as you felt yourself drowning.









But it came to a stop as you were unceremoniously thrown down on the wet grass. You had only time to lift yourself up onto all fours before you emptied your stomach, everything swimming before your gaze. You breathed in deeply as you clenched the grass between your fingers. You felt yourself. You felt your soul. According to the roots, you were just before your own entrance door. Breathing heavily, you glanced to the side at the small edgy skeleton. He had his head thrown up, eyes wide, mouth agape as he was staring at the night sky. From all the movement, your stomach had to be emptied one more time, even though there was already nothing to empty. You don’t know what that was, nor where you were, but you for sure knew you were ready to do anything to not repeat that experience. You were trying to breathe slowly and deeply, but it was as if your body was in a state of overdrive. Your body was heavy. Everything before your eyes was swimming, a loud ringing in your ears. The worst was that no matter how much you tried, you couldn’t pull your magic from the roots. You had to stop at one point as another wave of nausea hit you. 



Suddenly you felt warmth coming from your back. Something sweet was shoved into your mouth as you felt warmth spread throughout your body. This feeling was just like in the basement when the small guy was trying to heal you. Slowly the ringing in your ears stopped, and you could hear Papyrus sniffle beside you.

 

“I-I GoT YOu Y/N! I THe GreAT P-PAPyRUs GOT YOu!” 

 

There was a lot of screaming in the background, but you couldn’t move just yet, nor mutter a word. So you were left with listening to Papyrus quiet crying and something sweet being shoved into your mouth now and then. 



After long minutes you were able to grab Papyrus's hand and croak out with a hoarse, broken voice.

 

“Stop. You. Use. Too. Much. Magic.”

 

You had to breathe after every word as you felt like dying. Not letting go of his hand, you slowly move into a sitting position, your world tilting to the side. But out of sheer stubbornness, you sit straight and glance at Papyrus and, to your surprise, the small blue skeleton sitting beside you. 

 

“Y/N, DON’T MOVE SO ABRUPTLY! YOUR WOUND WILL REOPEN! THANKS TO MY AND THIS SWEET SKELETONS HELP, ALONG WITH THE MONSTER CANDY THEY HAD, WE WERE ABLE TO CLOSE YOUR WOUND!! BUT IT MAY REOPEN, AND I WAS SO SCARED WHEN I HEARD YOU SCREAM, AND PLEASE DON’T GET SO HURT AGAIN!!!”

 

Papyrus was now blabbering and crying, and the only thing you could do right now was to squeeze the hand you were already holding and give him your best reassuring smile. You glanced at the smaller skeleton beside you two as he was looking at you intently. The moment your eyes met, he was grinning and saying to your Papyrus. 

 

“THEY LOOK A LOT BETTER. THAT’S A GOOD SIGN! DON’T BE SADDENED, FOR I, THE MAGNIFICENT SANS, AM ALWAYS HAPPY TO HELP THOSE IN NEED!”

 

As he says that, he lifts his hand up, a candy hanging from his fingertips. You guessed those were the candies Papyrus named earlier. You just opened your mouth, which made the smaller skeleton blush slightly as he gently put the candy in your mouth. Now that you weren’t in pain, you could enjoy the candy's taste as it spread warmth through your whole body. 

 

“Thanks … Sans.”

 

You said with your slightly better voice. The small skeleton burst into a bright grin immediately. You decided it was an excellent time to take in your surroundings. Little to the side, you saw the two edgy skeletons surrounded by what looked like blue bones. Your Sans and the skeleton in the orange hoodie are standing before the edgy pair and arguing with the tall edgy skeleton. Your eyes met with the red eyes of the small edgy skeleton as he called out.

 

“Whatcha screaming like chicks early in the morning? Look, your human is in tip-top shape!”

 

He gestures toward me with his chin, his hands still in his pockets. Large red sweat drops ran down his temple as his grin was nervous. Your Sans and the skeleton in the orange turned around to look at your group. You felt a strong sense of relief wash over you. The feeling was coming from Sans. You were happy that, in the end, Sans did care for you, but damn, you didn’t really want to find it out in such a painful way. 

 

“Y/n, are you okay?” 

 

“With two such amazing skeletons taking care of me, what else could I be?”

 

You respond to Sans, gesturing to your Papyrus and the small blue skeleton. Gently you try to lift your body off the ground. Papyrus is immediately at your side, supporting you the best he can, even though he did murmur about you not taking it easy. You take three steps toward the other group, your every step followed by the six pairs of eye lights. But you had to stop your brave efforts as you felt something suddenly running down your lips. You gently lift your hand to touch whatever it is, and you hear a worried “AH” from Papyrus beside you as you glance down at your blood-covered fingertips. What the fuck did that small edgy skeleton do?

 

You hear worried exclamations around you, followed by “are you okay” but you don’t care about them as you hear a snort. That edgy bitch of a tall pile of bones just snorted at you, and your eyes connected with his eyelights which were full of ridicule and disgust toward you. 

 

Oh boy, he was playing with fire. You weren’t in the greatest of moods. You slip out of Papyrus's grasp and take steps toward the edgy tall skeleton.  

 

“Y/N?!”

 

“Hey, hey pal, what are you about to do?”

 

The exclamation from Papyrus and Sans was the last thing said as you wiped the blood off your face with the back of your hand and sucker punched the skeleton square to the face. It was quiet for a second as a hiss escaped your lips, and you shook your hand in pain. Hitting bone wasn’t exactly pleasant, especially since the dude didn’t even flinch. But damn, his smirk was gone, and blood covered his face. Granted, it was your own blood, but still. You turn around to glare at your Sans as you almost snarl. 

 

“You, mister, better prepare a room for those two (you point at the small blue skeleton and the skeleton in the orange hoodie) and keep those two locked in the basement or something.   I will be leaving for my room to finish my sleep, and I hope not to be murdered in my sleep. We will talk about this in the morning!”

 

With that, you turn around, grabbing Papyrus's hand and taking him along with you. You could see how exhausted he was from all the healing.

You threw a last glance over your shoulder. The tall edgy skeleton was staring at you in thought, you couldn't really figure out what he was thinking. You just grin back at him and leave for the night.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And somewhere in the void, something was awakened by the ripples created by you. And even in this nothingness, they easily located where you disappeared. Not finding what they were after, t hey silently merged back into the void. 

 

For now.



Chapter 20: Why you?

Chapter Text

You were startled awake by a bang coming from downstairs. Again. As you pried your eyes open, you felt how heavy your body was. You don’t know what the edgy small skeleton did yesterday, but it took a toll on your body. Papyrus was curled-up against you, holding you in his embrace as if you were a teddy bear. With some struggle, you moved your head upwards, a sad sigh escaping your mouth as you saw Papyrus’s condition. His breathing was slow and even as he was deep asleep. The loud noise from downstairs didn’t wake him up, which was worrisome, as Papyrus was a light sleeper. There were deep eyebags underneath his eye sockets. All in all, he looked exhausted, which must have been because of his overuse of healing magic yesterday.

 

You gently freed yourself from the embrace of the tall skeleton and sat on the edge of the bed. You planted your feet securely down on the wooden floor and closed your eyes. Slowly you started to feel warmth creep up from the soles of your feet. Soon enough, the warmth was all over your body. You felt your muscles relaxing as magic filled your body.

 

Humans didn’t have a big magic reserve. Some are bigger, some smaller, but small non the less, unlike the supernatural creatures. It was lucky that you could even have magic in this body at all, but the amount of magic in the human body was depressingly small compared to your main body. But it was enough to remove most of the heaviness in your body. You don’t know what that smaller red skeleton did, but you certainly didn’t want to repeat the experience. 

 

You sigh in relief and throw another glance at Papyrus. Technically you could give him some of your magic, but…you would have to… your fingers touch your own lips. You shake your head slightly. No, you tell yourself, what happened with Sans was an accident. You hit your head! So that concussed brain of yours didn’t think of anything better than to steal a kiss. You are not going to repeat the same thing with Papyrus!

 

You stand abruptly, trying to forget what happened that night. You were starting to feel hungry. You immediately head for the door. In the end, you do have to find out the noise source. You pray it isn’t the same scenario as it was yesterday. 



You were sure you didn’t make any noise as you slowly descended the stairs, but one pair of red-eye lights intently stared at you. It was the tall edgy skeleton. He and his brother were positioned on the sofa. To the left of them, the more likable pair of brothers stood, your Sans standing to the right. They were just intently staring at the broken-in-half coffee table. From its position, you would say the tall edgy skeleton must have brought his fist down upon it. You met the edgy skeleton's gaze as you came down to sit in the armchair that was opposite the sofa. So now you have completed the circle in a way.

 

“Well…I guess good morning to everybody.”

 

You received a happy and loud good morning from the tiny blue skeleton and a “sup” from the skeleton in orange. Along with good morning and “how are you feeling?” from your Sans. You just lift your hand at him and say with a sigh. The edgy brothers are throwing daggers with their eyes at you.

 

“It could be so much better if my night wasn’t interrupted in the first place. Now, do you mind telling me what the hell is going on?”

 

Just as your Sans opened his mouth, the tiny blue skeleton appeared beside the armchair and started jumping up and down. He had stars in his eyes as he began to spill the beans.

 

“I, THE MAGNIFICENT SANS, WAS QUITE AMAZED! WE ARE FROM A DIFFERENT DIMENSION, CAN YOU IMAGINE?!! WE WERE JUST TAKING A WALK IN A PARK, AND THEN BOOOOM, WE WERE IN THIS BASEMENT! ANOTHER SECOND AND MORE OF ME AND PAPY APPEAR!! IT’S JUST SO MAGNIFICENT!”

 

You stare wide-eyed at the tiny blue skeleton as the information sinks in. You furrow your brows in thought as you take out your phone and shoot a quick message. When you look up, the edgy tiny skeleton stares bewildered at something beside you. You look down to find your hand gently patting the tiny blue skeleton's head. You must have done it out of the habit of patting Kuang. You were about to stop, but you saw that the tiny skeleton was actually enjoying it. (Was he purring?) So without a second thought, you just continued. By doing so, you received funny glances from the small edgy skeleton and humorous grins from the skeleton in orange.

 

You glanced at your Sans while lifting an eyebrow. He was looking at the tiny blue skeleton receiving pets from you; his eyes light extinct. You caught his attention by calling his name. Somehow your voice sounded worried. Sans immediately snapped out of whatever he was in as his attention landed back on you. Sweat appeared on his skull as he answered with a nervous grin.

 

“The kid pretty much said it all. An experiment of mine went wrong, and they appeared. By sharing some basic info, we quickly understood they were “us,” as in Papyrus and me, from other dimensions. That’s pretty much….”

 

He was interrupted by the sudden outbreak from the tall edgy skeleton. He stood up, pointing in your direction.

 

“WHY ARE YOU ALL EVEN LISTENING TO SOME PEST?! WE SHOULD JUST KILL IT AND TAKE ITS SOUL AND NOT PROLONG THIS ANY LONGER!”

 

From the start of the rageful speech, the tiny blue skeleton was moved to stand behind the orange-clothed skeleton. While your Sans moved to stand beside you, a warning could be heard in his voice.

 

“Listen, pal. This is the Surface, and we no longer need souls. We are not touching nor harming the humans, and if you dare to do anything to Y/N like you and your brother did yesterday, You’re Gonna Have a Bad Time.

 

The atmosphere immediately turned cold. You couldn't see his facial expression as Sans stood with his back to you. But you didn’t need to, as you could see the nervous look that the tiny edgy skeleton was getting. His expression turned sour, his skull filling with thick and big sweat drops. On the other hand, the tall edgy skeleton stood and looked down at Sans, a scowl on his face. In the end, he did sit down, but not without throwing you a look of disgust.  

 

You frowned and rubbed your nose bridge. If you were anybody else, or heck, a human, you wouldn’t believe what Sans was saying. But you were acquaintanced with one particular witch, and at this point, you could believe in anything. You take a deep breath and feel a wave of worry and fear fall over you. You throw a glance through your fingers at Sans. He was looking at you, and his eye lights slightly wavering. He was trying to look fine, but the feelings were reaching you through the bond. You decided to have an experiment of your own. Your bond with Sans differed from your inner pack, but it was a bond non the less. You took a deep breath as you closed your eyes, hiding your facial expression behind your hand. You located the bond with Sans in your mind, another deep breath. Well, here goes nothing. With some concentration and a calm heart, you send a wave of calmness through the bond. As you gently open your eyes. 

 

Looking at Sans's surprised face (Insert shocked Pikachu face here), it worked, so you redirect your gaze to the new skeletons. You were getting tired of calling them edgy or blue and so on. So you voice your concern and surprisingly receive the answer from the skeleton clad in orange. So far, he has been quiet and spectating all of us. To your surprise, his voice was a combination of Papyrus and Sans. His volume was on the softer side, compared to the other two Papyrus’s. His voice was deep, as he was speaking slowly and lazily as Sans would. 

 

“We had the same problem when we started talking. It’s hard to address somebody when half of the room turns around. Right, Sans?”

 

As if to prove his point, he called for his brother, but your Sans and the edgy Sans looked at him too. 

 

“So, with some fighting, we concluded to have nicknames.”

 

“I’M THE MAGNIFICENT BLUE, AND MY BEST BROTHER PAPY IS STRETCH. ON THE SOFA, THE TERRIFYING EDGE IS SITTING ALONG WITH HIS BROTHER RED! THERE WAS SOME DISCUSSION ABOUT WHAT TO DO WITH THE NICKNAMES OF THE SANS AND PAPYRUS OF THIS DIMENSION, BUT WE HAVEN’T COME TO A CONCLUSION YET, SO THEY ARE JUST SANS AND PAPYRUS FOR NOW.”

 

You nod at the tiny skeleton, no, Blue, and thank him out loud. You also note in your mind how, from all of the group, he took the lead in talking to you. You turn back towards the edgy pair of brothers. Edge was looking around, sometimes shooting you disgusted looks. Red, on the other, has been silent all this time. His gaze was directed at his phalanges, which he was fidgeting with. You look to the side, and your gaze meets with eye lights of a dark shade of orange. Blue was excitedly telling something to his brother, but Stretches attention was on you. A small white stick was hanging from the side of Stretches' mouth, which caught your attention. It wasn’t there just a moment ago, and you didn’t see him put anything in his mouth. You can see how Stretches' grin spreads as your gaze returns to his eyes. With the back of your mind, you noted how Blue was already beside your Sans, discussing something. The next moment you had to catch yourself and your feelings in order to not send them through the bonds with your inner pack and Sans. 

 

Stretch opened his mouth without breaking eye contact, and a thick, long dark orange tongue rolled out. It was created out of his orange magic, thick and dense; his magic looked so tasty. It was slightly glowing even in this early morning lightning, which didn’t help you at all. As if showing off, the tongue continued to emerge, reaching lower than his jaw, where it abruptly stopped. You didn’t know if it could go any further, but it was not important at the moment. At the tip of his tongue, a yellow honeycomb-shaped sucker was positioned. Your gaze snapped back up as the tongue disappeared, replaced with a satisfied grin. You don’t know what expression you had at that exact moment, but Stretch had immense satisfaction written all over his face.

 

You had to lift your hand and hide your mouth as you turned away. You could not hold the grin that was spreading on your face. You could only hide it.

 

Oh god, what have you gotten yourself into? 

 

You murmur as you feel hunger spreading through your body.

 

Notes:

Congratulations, you made it to the end!