Actions

Work Header

Course Correction

Summary:

With the Eggman Empire destroyed, Sonic and his friends still have on loose end to tie up. But Eggman's backup plan kicks in and a new threat arises to destroy the hard won peace. The Freedom Fighters will find their bonds tested like never before and their futures covered by a shadow of doubt.

Notes:

A/N: This story is my idea with for how original Archie comics storyline would have continued before it was rebooted but with a few twists. First events from some of the mainline games would be included but with their events altered to fit in (though no one remembers ’06 because of time stuff). The two biggest changes are that the events of Colors and Lost World happen together with Zavok forcing the Wisps to take refuge on Mobius and that the events of Mania and Forces would be merged and had a considerable impact on Mobius itself as explained in the prologue. Secondly characters introduced in the post reboot, fleetway and IDW comics also exist here, but the exact implications will be explored both for specific characters and in general as we get further on. With all that said please enjoy.

Chapter 1: Prolouge

Summary:

A brief catch up to the current events following the events of the second genesis wave.

Chapter Text

The story so far…

It was a time of great trial for heroes of Mobius. Princess Sally robotizied, Antione comatose, Bunnie missing, Nicole ostracized from society and almost the entire Echinda race banished to an unknown dimension. With Ixis Naugus in possession of the Republic of Acorn’s throne and the Eggman Empire making gains on several fronts, two teams were formed Team Freedom and Team Fighters to set things right. Team Freedom consisting of Rotor, Nicole, Cream, Big, Heavy and Bomb would protect New Mobotropolis while Team Fighters with Sonic, Tails and Amy would try to bring back Princess Sally and aid people in distress.

After weeks of effort and with the help of Silver and the Artic Freedom Fighters, Team Fighters finally managed to capture Mecha Sally only for a second Genesis Wave to take place. When the world returned to normal both Sally and the Death Egg II had vanished. This close failure had Sonic redouble his efforts, but his mission would be waylaid by other threats, the Black Arms invasion, the Shattered World crisis, and liberation of the wisps and their mother from Zavok and his Deadly Six. Not only that Eggman became more cautious with his prize, putting her out in the field less often so it would sometimes be weeks between sightings.

Meanwhile Naugus had to the public taken ill naming Geoffery St. John as his regent. Geoffery himself became a recluse when not directing council matters. Working with Harvey Who, Elias Acorn had planned with the Secret Freedom Fighters to capture the skunk in a quick nighttime coup and force him and by extension Naugus to abdicate. Meanwhile Naugus had been possessing Geoffery in order to stabilize his mutations and maintain control of his divergent personalities. With his grasp on the council getting tenuous Naugus began to investigate ways to take more direct control of the city. Both forces seemed destined to clash but Eggman had other plans.

By the year 3238 the mad scientist had discovered a gemstone with the power to turn illusions into reality and create a super form for those it was used on. Called the Phantom Ruby Eggman managed to create two synthetic copies, one he gave to a jackal mercenary who then called himself Infinite, the second he used to replace Mecha Sally’s power source transforming her yet again. With not only improved combat but tactical ability the former princess proposed a strategy that used new combat robots dubbed the Hard-Boiled Heavies and brainboxes, devices that would alter the victim’s personality into a loyal servant of Eggman Empire to be used to insure the Dark Egg Legion’s own loyalty and to recruit others as new soldiers or laborers. In the first attack in the new offensive Infinite had defeated Sonic who the world presumed had died. With fall of Mobius’ hero, the Phantom Ruby War had begun.

At first it seemed that the Eggman would have a real fight on his hands. Team Fighters was even stronger after Antione had had recovered from his coma and had finished his physical therapy and Bunnie had just returned from what turned into a long-term intelligence gathering mission in her uncle’s DEL chapter. But by using a two-pronged attack on New Mobotropolis and Feral Forest involving cutting the capital’s nanites from their power source and using brainboxed infiltrators, including Bunnie, to knockout key targets before the initial charge. The city fell within hours and Freedom HQ was destroyed, of the Secret Freedom Fighters Silver was the only one managed to escape while in Team Freedom, Rotor and Nicole managed to evacuate a few civilians including Sir Charles, Jules Hedgehog, Councilor Hamlin, Mina, Ash, Alexis Acorn, Froggy, and the chao Cheese and Chocola. While Geoffrey St. John and Naugus vanished in the struggle, everyone else in the city was brainboxed before the remnants of Team Fighters even realized there was an attack.

In the twenty-four hours after fall of New Mobotropolis Eggman Empire forces launched coordinated attacks on every Freedom Fighter base after Mecha Sally divulged their locations and probable tactics. The surprise attacks resulted in almost every Freedom Fighter becoming a brainboxed member of the DEL. The notable exception being the Chaotix who, while they lost Angel Island, had prevented the Eggman Empire from gaining control of the Master Emerald, though it came at the cost of Mighty and Ray becoming brainboxed.

GUN initially managed to hold off the Eggman Empire but eventually crumbled before the sheer number of foes of on multiple fronts, Shadow had seemingly defected in the beginning of the war and Omega was badly damaged, forcing Rouge and Hope Kintobor into hiding. A week into the conflict the United Federation was forced to surrender and the other Mobian nations did the same almost immediately. Except for a handful of isolated areas, the Eggman Empire now had effectively controlled the planet. Even a dimensional disturbance which transported the landmasses and people of the Sol Zone into the Prime Zone did little to slow the Hard-Boiled Heavies, the DEL and Infinite, as the newly dubbed Sol Islands were brought to heel but not before Blaze managed to seal her Emeralds before she was brainboxed.

The remaining Freedom Fighters reorganized as The Resistance and managed to save civilians while fighting the empire using hit and run tactics. As the most experienced Knuckles was agreed upon as the de facto leader, Amy Rose stepped up in organizing things and many said the girl had matured considerably in a short amount of time and Tails had been working independently but despite his high performance found he himself torn between the loss of Sonic and his frequent encounters with his brainboxed father.

Six months after the war began the Resistance discovered Sonic was alive and held captive on the Death Egg II in orbit of the planet. While the Resistance led a daring rescue attempt Sonic’s planed execution left an opening for him to devise his own escape and in meeting the Resistance not only broke free but working with the rescue team managed to destroy the battle station in the resistance’s first true victory.

Sonic’s return, in combination of the discovery a month earlier of a means to safely deactivate both Brainboxes and the programing that shackled a Robian’s free will, had sparked something in The Resistance. Team Fighters was reformed, though they were now dubbed Team Sonic by the people and added a de-brainboxed Cream and Big. Working with Knuckle’s Chaotix, who later included a freed Mighty and Ray, Team Dark after Shadow was proven to be impersonated by one of Infinite’s phantoms and Omega was repaired, and Team Future who Silver formed with the liberated Blaze and Marine. In the span of days almost all the territory and more importantly people held by the Eggman Empire was liberated.

With the Hard-Boiled Heavies destroyed one by one they had forced Eggman to his last refuge, the new capital he built over the remains of New Mobotropolis after the Nanites died from lack of power and the new seat of his empire within it the Imperial Fortress. Both forces clashed in one final battle, where Sonic fought both the last of the Hard-Boiled Heavies, Heavy King, and Infinite at the Tower. With Infinite nearly absorbed by the original Phantom Ruby Sonic managed to save the Jackal who trying to regain some last shred of honor sacrificed his life to destroy Heavy King and the fortress before the robot could strike the Hedgehog down. But the original Phantom Ruby remained in Eggman’s Death Egg Robot, Sonic and his friends managed to destroy the machine but to everyone’s surprise the ejection system inside the mech failed and Doctor Eggman, the blight on the lives of all of Mobius, was killed in the resulting explosion.

Leaderless the Dark Egg Legion offered an unconditional surrender and disbanded on the spot, the Eggman Empire effectively ceased to exist. With a now functioning de-roboticizer completed once again everyone who was transformed was changed back, apart from Jules Hedgehog on whom the process would have been fatal. Those who had been legionized however still had to live with whatever modifications were made to their bodies, but work was done to de-stigmatize those legionized, in part by using new tech in the medical field like synth-skin to allow those who wished it to take a more normal appearance.

The capital was taken by the Acorn Republic and rechristened Freedom City and the formerly conquered national governments were reestablished. It was recognized that the old Mobian species conflicts of the past was a factor in Eggman being able to keep his empire after the Bem first granted robotization immunity so a Mobian Accord was agreed upon that would work to promote the interspecies co-operation the Acorn Kingdom was founded upon. The Accord, in conjunction with the United Federation and a now multi species GUN, seemed to make lasting world peace a reality at last.

But to Sonic it was still an incomplete victory, despite everything Mecha Sally managed to escape with the still brainboxed Antione and Bunnie D’coolette-Rabbot in tow. Now weeks later with restoration well underway, it seemed like Team Sonic were the only ones who still hadn’t completed their original mission. Not only that Sonic has been having dreams of two different versions of Mobius from the one he knew and he is starting to wonder what these dreams mean…

Chapter 2: The Cicada Emerges

Summary:

Trying to capture Mecha Sally and bring her back home, Team Sonic infiltrates a sunken base where they met a new potential all as well as a new and familiar enemy. Meanwhile Knuckles and the Chaotix begin their search for a way to rescue Julie-Su, Saffron and the Echidna race from whatever zone they were banished to.

Chapter Text

Sonic woke with a start, breathing heavily. Looking around he saw that the sun was rising over their campsite. Tails, and T-Pup were near the campfire as the two tailed fox was frying bacon and eggs in a skillet. Amy has taking down the tent she had slept in.

“Morning Sonic thought I’d make us all breakfast. Big day today.”

Sonic shook his head. “Weird dream. It was just after Eggman used his genesis wave the second time only afterward everything was different. Can’t remember much about it, but I know Sally was there with us…” Sonic growled. “But the reality is we had her and after everything came back both she and the Death Egg II were gone!”

Tails slid the bacon and eggs onto a plate “I don’t think I ever heard you swear so much before. But we have her cornered this time, nowhere left to run.”

“There was something else about that dream. It feels like the world was taken apart, put back together differently, taken apart again, put back together in another way then it all went back to the way it was originally. Maybe it’s just me but it feels like there’s more people in the world than I remember.”

“Perhaps you should talk about it Sonic,” Amy said as she got her plate from Tails. “I mean the Phantom Ruby War affected a lot of people psychologically. Are you sure you’re ok?”

Sonic gave an amused shrug. “But I wasn’t brainboxed and Infinite’s mind games didn’t affect me.”

“No but you were held prisoner for half a year. I mean we heard you’d been tortured…”

“Maybe tortured with boredom,” Sonic laughed. “Seriously I’m fine, and if we’re right about what Nicole hacked from the Eggnet then today we can finally get back Sally, de-brainbox Antione and Bunnie, and finally close the book on the grip Robotnick and his legacy has had on all our lives for once and for all. How about we go over it one more time while we eat? We have to pull this off, so we need all the info we can get.”

“Ok,” Tails said sighing as they all sat down with their plates. “After the battle at Imperial Tower Nicole found that an encoded message was sent over the Eggnet directly into Mecha Sally’s processor. After reconstructing and decrypting the file we found out that it was instructions that were to be carried out in the event of Eggman’s death. They said to go to a set of co-ordinates and activate something called ‘Project Cicada’.”

“Some sort of doomsday weapon?” asked Amy after swallowing a bit of egg. “I could see him destroy Mobius rather than let anyone else control it.”

“There was no other information, my guess is that Sally and the others are just as clueless to what this thing does as we are.”

“Well if Eggman made it then it was made to be broken by us,” said Sonic. “I’ll just dash on over…”

“We need to have some intel before we rush in,” said Tails. “We should be able come up with a plan once we get a good look at the thing.”

“We might not have the time, stopping Sal and the others before they turn whatever it is on may need to be done fast.” Sonic polished off what was on his plate “Alright I’ll break camp, awesome grub Tails.”

As Sonic started cleaning up the campsite speedily Amy tapped Tails on the shoulder. “I hate to say it, but I don’t think I believe what he’s telling us about his time locked up in the Death Egg II. Eggman just having him in a cell for six months after all the plans he thwarted, he’d have done something out spite at least.”

“I think you’re right,” said Tails. “But I don’t want to press him on it until after we finish this mission. I’ll get the Tornado ready for takeoff, maybe you can use those cards of yours to see if we should be extra careful or if we’re going to get lucky, I mean you always found Sonic with them.”

Amy huffed as Tails walked to the plane. “It’s not like I get exact answers to questions or anything!” She knelt and took out her trusty fortune telling deck. “In fact, I’m beginning to wonder if it has really led me true at all. It led me to Sonic, but I lost a lot in the process, my family, my childhood and even now he doesn’t see me as much more than a friend. I know I helped a lot of people, but I did I sacrifice too much?”

Amy shuffled the deck and then dealt three cards in front of her. Once she turned each over, she almost gasped. “Wait those three were…”

A vision rushed by Amy’s eyes. A blue hedgehog, her in a chapel, then being asked if she would like to see her baby…

Just as quickly as it came the vision passed. “Those cards were the same ones I got shortly after I learned about Sonic for the first time. Could it be that today is finally the day, when Sonic falls in love with me? But what does that mean for Sally? Is she going to…?”

“Amy we’re ready to go!” said Sonic.

“Coming!”

Amy put the cards away and ran to the now revved up plane. “So, what did your fortune say?” asked Tails.

“Uh, it said…that today something special is going to happen to me!”

“I’ll take that as good news,” said Sonic. “Now let’s get our friends back!”

As the plane took off Amy continued to think to herself. “Sally, I’ll never forgive myself if winning Sonic means we have to lose you.”


Up on Angel Island Knuckles came into hut set aside for Dimitri. “Are you doing well, any pain?”

“Headaches,” the former Grandmaster of the Dark Legion replied. “Not that there’s much else I can get these days.”

“In that case,” Knuckles then picked up the orb holding cybernetic head. “Using your own life support system to protect the Master Emerald, you should have told me that was your plan!”

“The barrier that girl made couldn’t protect the Master Emerald without bringing this island down if we used it for power. It was the only thing I could think of after we were cut off from our source of power rings.”

Knuckles put the orb down with a sigh. “I see, is there nothing that can be done for you?”

“You needn’t concern yourself with my fate. I’ve lived far longer than I had any right to, particularly when you consider the things I have done.”

“But there are so few of us now…”

“Does this have anything to do with your recent trip to Mercia?”

Knuckles bowed his head. “With Rob O’ the Hedge out of hiding and back on the throne I went to talk to Mari-An about having Little Jon come here for guardian training. His parents… weren’t enthusiastic about the idea.”

“Well considering that you tried to take away their son and the heir to the throne I could see why.”

“It’s just you, me, Finitivus, Mari and Jon there are no Echidnas to become guardian after me.”

“Does that mean you’ve given up on finding my great-great-granddaughters, your mother and the rest of our people?”

“No but… no one has seen Thrash or Finitivus for months. If there was a trail Eggman’s total takeover has wiped it clean. I had been away too long as it is, I can’t leave now…”

“Just the opposite actually. Eggman is finished for good, the Dingo Regime was replaced by a new republic and the world is enjoying an unprecedented amount of peace, so Angel Island barely needs guarding…” Dimitri began a coughing fit.

“Dimitri!”

The bodyless Grandmaster stopped coughing but still rasped. “I had what was both my best and worst dream last night. I led the Legion differently; kinder, more concerned with family than old grudges. Luger… he acted like a real father to ALL his children, Kragok, Lien-da and Julie-Su treated each other like loving siblings. When we did escape the Twilight Cage, my descendants worked to heal the divide that grew between our people. It was wonderful but also terrible, because I knew the only thing that kept that dream from being a reality was my own anger and lust for power.”

“Everyone was responsible for their own choices,” Knuckles said. “You can only blame yourself so much…”

“Still I owe the Dark Legion a different path, Kragok and Lien-da had very little chance to be anything different than what they became. It may be too late for most of my descendants, but my great-great-granddaughters deserve more. You must find them, let this old war end for good.”

Knuckles looked away. “I’ll try for your sake, Julie’s and my mother’s. I highly doubt Lien-Da will ever change and honestly after everything she’s done, I don’t think she deserves a second chance but just maybe even she’s had enough fighting for one lifetime.”

“Thank you,” Dimitri said weakly. “You know I think I’d like to have that dream again, it was nice to see my grandchildren when they were so young, and they just called me grandpa…”

Dimitri closed his eyes and only a few seconds later his life support system gave its last.

After a moment of silence Knuckles came out of the chamber. Even though most of the Chaotix were gathered outside it was a female, blue furred Pika who spoke up.

“Is he…?”

Knuckles nodded, he first met the archeologist while exploring an Echidna ruin the previous year and let her stay on the island to piece the remaining mysteries together with her modified gizoid. “I’m sorry Relic. Thank you making his last few days easier, I’m sure he was happy passing his knowledge onto someone who truly cared.”

“He knew so much about the ancient Echidna, I couldn’t just let everything he preserved just be lost. Especially since it was my fault, I couldn’t get enough rings before that attack…”

“We would have lost the Master Emerald if it wasn’t for you and Fix-it’s machine. You have nothing to be ashamed of.”

“So, what now?” asked Ray.

“Once Vector and Espio get back we’ll lay Dimitri to rest, then Relic will set up Fix-it to look after the island and send an alarm if there’s trouble. Meanwhile the rest of us will go hunting for Thrash and Finitivus.”

“But the trail has been cold since the Phantom Ruby War,” said Mighty. “Heck, we don’t even know if they’re still working together. Where do we start?”

“Where you always start when looking for lowlifes, the Bottom of the Barrel.”


The tornado flew low over a set of hills. “We should be coming up on the location of ‘Project Cicada’ now.” Tails yelled over the engine.

As they came over a hilltop a vast lake stretched in front of them.

“So, it’s at the other side of the lake?” asked Sonic.

“No, under the lake.”

Sonic groaned. “Figures Eggman would use my lousy swimming against me.”

“What’s that?” Amy said pointing to something in the middle of the lake.

“Hang on,” Tails pulled a lever. “I’m converting the Tornado for a water landing.”

As the plane descended a pair of pontoons inflated around the landing gear. The Tornado then raced along the lake surface until it came to a metallic dome about the size of a hut covered in algae, a small boat was docked next to the only apparent door.

“Looks like a submersible gateway, the real base is at the bottom.”

Sonic was checking the boat. “The engine’s still warm, they must have just gotten here themselves. We have a good chance to get them back before they can use Eggman’s project.”

Amy took a closer look at a discolored path of algae. “I don’t think it was Eggman.”

Amy wiped away the algae, painted on the dome underneath was an emblem with a prominent letter R.

“So, this is one of Dr. Robotnick’s experiments,” said Tails. “And from the looks of things it was set up about a decade ago.”

“Around the time I started kicking his butt. To think it’s almost over.”

“Any plans now that Mobius seems to be at peace at last?” Amy asked.

“Keep moving mostly, but we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it. For now, how do we get inside? I don’t see a switch or lock.”

Tails took a closer look at the door. “Looks like it needs a password to be electronically transmitted. I bet it was part of the data we managed to decrypt. Hey, T-Pup!”

The mechanical dog jumped out of the cockpit of the Tornado next to the door. An antenna came from the top of T-Pup’s head he pointed it at the door. A second later the door rose up opening to a small room with an elevator.

“No guard bots or other security, figures old Robuttnick assumed we wouldn’t have even made it this far.”

“It’s not his security I’m worried about,” said Amy. “Sally’s down there, Bunnie and Antione are probably with her. She slipped through our fingers so many times, first we let ourselves get distracted too much then we kept getting interrupted by just about every world ending threat imaginable. We can’t mess this up anymore.”

Sonic pressed the elevator’s call button. “Then what are we waiting for? Let’s do it to it!”

The four of them stepped into the elevator, once the doors were closed a figure went past the elevator and started making his way down the stairs.


When the doors opened Sonic and the others began to hear voices.

“How long is zis supposed to take? The Princess, she iz too vulnerable!” came a familiar voice.

“Mecha Sally’s original core will be reintegrated in 120 seconds. Synthetic Phantom Ruby power transfer now at 99.98%” came an electronic voice from the ceiling, presumably the base’s computer.

“About dang time,” came a more familiar feminine voice. “The sooner we finish this final mission, the sooner all our dreams will come true.”

“Transfer of synthetic ruby’s power now complete, ruby integrity at 0%. Final system power up and integration in progress. System with be unavailable until integration is complete.”

“The perfect chance,” said Sonic. “You still have one of those anti-brainbox gizmos?”

Tails took out a small device that resembled a remote control. “This jammer will override any brainbox or Robian control module within five feet, all you have to do is hit the button. Just keep in mind it takes about two and a half minutes to recharge so it would be best to get as many as you can at once, but Amy and I each have one so don’t worry too much about it.”

Sonic took the device. “I’ll just bust the important looking stuff, free Sally, Ant and Bunnie, take out any bots they have with them, then we’ll have everyone back to normal and home in time for chili dogs.”

Sonic dashed forward and saw Antione and Bunnie working on consoles the both wearing red and black uniforms and headgear with a notable red light at their foreheads, but otherwise as seeming to be like he saw them last time Antione having seemed to make a full recovery from his coma and Bunnie with her limbs seemingly organic, but they knew from experience that all her limbs, even her right arm the one organic limb she always had, were replaced with legionized prosthetics.

Behind them Mecha Sally was starting to move. Her appearance changed again when the Phantom Ruby was integrated into her months ago. She had regained a mouth, her chest area looked closer to her old vest, at the space where her heart would be was a chamber that behind armored glass once contained one of the synthetic rubies but now had her original core, her head now had a gold ring around it with a ruby like light in the forehead giving the whole thing the appearance of a tiara.

Sonic dove towards the robot chipmunk, who gave a quick glance in his direction. A light on the tiara glowed and in an instant four robots that resembled himself, Tails, Knuckles and Amy were suddenly forcing him to the ground.

“The metal series,” Sonic grunted. “I didn’t think you survived the battle of Imperial Fortress too.”

Sally came closer to Sonic. “So, you did come here. Victory calculated that you coming to interfere with Project Cicada was at a 97% probability.”

Sonic saw Tails and Amy start to sneak over, he raised his voice to keep the enemy distracted. “Well did this Victory predict our secret weapon?”

“What secret weapon?”

“Bring Antione and Bunnie and I’ll show it to the three of you.”

Sally picked up Sonic by the neck. “Do you really think I’d just let you lure me into a trap?!”

“Alright, just you will be fine for now!”

Sonic pressed the button on the jammer. Everything was quiet for a few seconds.

“Let me guess,” Mecha Sally grabbed the remote and crushed it. “That was supposed to free me from my programming. Well I have news for you, I have had free will ever since I was given the second synthetic ruby.”

Sonic gasped. “No, you’re lying. If that were true, then…”

“Then I provided the base locations, tactics and weaknesses of New Mobotopolis and every freedom fighter division of my own volition.”

“But why?”

Sally motioned for Metal Sonic to retake the prisoner. “The same time the Phantom Ruby restored my mind it also gave me a vision. I saw a Mobius free of cruelty, of betrayal, of selfishness. A paradise where people walked the streets without fear, strangers were treated like friends, the children only had smiling faces and I knew that the ruby gave me the power to make its illusion a reality.

“After my transformation was complete and I was sure Eggman was unaware of me regaining myself I knew I needed to keep up the façade of a loyal servant. I offered to supply strategic and tactical information to Eggman, who only proved how much of a fool he was by not using me in such a manner sooner, allowing for quick decisive victories with minimal casualties. While I was connected to the Eggnet I was contacted by an AI that called itself Victory who wanted to be free from Eggman’s control and it helped me set up a long-term plan for my takeover. Using what I already knew and figuring out my brother would have formed his own secret resistance against Naugus, Victory set the gears in motion.

“First, we suggested to Eggman using brainboxes one of his subordinates developed to ensure the loyalty of the Dark Egg Legion in place of cherry bombs, that way he would come to accept brainboxing captives to expand his army and labor force further and so lower long-term casualties. After the Battle of New Mobotropolis I took the two legionaries that would serve me best without rising suspicion and readjusted their brainboxes. Then I showed them what the ruby showed me, what I would show you now if I could.”

“It was so beautiful Sugah-hog,” said Bunnie. “The perfect world.”

“Oui, a pearl worth any price,” remarked Antione. “Of course, we would help Ze Princess carry it out.”

Sally softened her voice. “I wished I could have had you along with Bunnie and Tawn, but Eggman refused to brainbox you, so you’d be forced to watch, to prolong your suffering, to break your spirit. That was the sign he got overconfident, it was time to make him pay. At my request Victory altered the plans to the Death Egg Robot ever so slightly to make sure Eggman would never escape when you would eventually destroy it. All I had to do was turn off a few security protocols on the Death Egg II and you’d do the rest, or did you think those restraints turned off all by themselves or that one of the Phantom Ruby prototypes just happened to have been misplaced where one of the Resistance would find it?”

“That just tells me the real Sal is still in there! You have to bring out the real you!”

“Part of me wished I didn’t have to enslave my friends and have them mutilated, but scars heal, freedoms can be restored, lives can’t. I regretted turning you into a murderer, even of somebody as cruel as Eggman, but he’ll never violate anyone ever again, so it is a burden I’m willing to bare for the greater good.”

“Then you aren’t as free from Eggman’s programing as you think,” Sonic could tell it wouldn’t be long until Tails and Amy made their move. “The real Sally insisted we could win this without killing and she’d never try to justify something she spent her whole life fighting behind something like ‘the greater good’. You might not be controlled by Eggman’s program but it’s messing up how you think! Don’t worry though we have a de-roboticizer, just come with us and this war will finally be over.”

“But what about the next one? Your machine can wait until this is done. I won’t risk future generations when the key to lasting peace in right here. You’ll see once we activate Project Cicada, a device that will turn every machine on Mobius into a transmitter for an infrasound signal that will subliminally influence any organic who hears it or any AI that receives the transmission into following whatever command was sent. All I will command will be this, ‘harm no one, be friendly to all, act in the interest of others and live in peace’. If this message is sent perpetually then our world will never know war, crime or betrayal ever again.”

“Or freedom.”

If he didn’t know better Sonic could have sworn that he saw the robot chipmunk wince. “I’ll let myself fall under Cicada’s influence and once I am flesh again, renounce any claim to the throne and spend the rest of my life serving the people as my penance.”

Tails and Amy now almost in range of the two brainboxed Freedom Fighters. “This is your last chance to end this without a fight Sal, please take it.”

“The tides have turned in the favor of justice!” came a voice from a stairwell. Everyone looked up and saw what looked like a turquoise hedgehog with three short quills coming out the back of his head and a red bandana around his neck. “And that is because I have arrived! Lucian the…whoa!”

The newcomer stepped in puddle on the edge of a step and started tumbling down the staircase.

“Imbécile.” grumbled Antione.

Bunnie noticed Tails and Amy about five and a half feet away. “Sally girl, we got more company!”

“Step away from them!” shouted Mecha Sally. “You two restrain your counterparts! You get the intruder!”

Tails and Amy found themselves quickly subdued by Metal Tails and Metal Amy. Lucian was nearly to the bottom when he managed to regain enough control to launch himself off, flip in the air and land on both feet. “Ah yeah! Stuck the landing!”

It was then he was tackled by Metal Knuckles and brought to the rest of Team Sonic. “Nice going wannabe!” Sonic snarked. “If you would have just kept your yap shut for a few more seconds Ant and Bunnie would have been brought back to our side and we’d be fighting the Metal Series on even footing!”

Amy just stared at the newcomer in shock. “Are you related to Sonic or something, I mean another blue hedgehog out here in the middle of nowhere.”

“I’m a Tenrec actually,” said Lucian. “It’s an easy mistake. Like I was saying my name is Lucian and I was sent here to help you.”

“Great job,” groaned Sonic.

Mecha Sally chuckled. “But he was a wonderful help, now the last obstacle to eternal peace has been removed. Just stop resisting and listen to the Cicada’s song of harmony.”

Antoine and Bunnie took it as a signal and finished their work on the consoles. A few keystrokes then nothing but silence.

“I don’t hear anything,” said Lucian.

“She said it was infrasound,” said Tails. “Sound waves below the normal range of hearing.”

“No, he’s right,” Mecha Sally said. She sounded almost afraid. “It should be within my audio receptor’s range of detection, but there’s nothing! Victory what’s wrong?!”

Sonic started laughing. “At the end of it all it comes down to Old Robuttnick’s secret project being a great big dud!”

“And a poorly named one at that,” said Tails. “Cicada are very noisy bugs, not a name you give to such a silent means of control.”

“I find the name very fitting,” came a voice sounding a lot like the computer from earlier, only clearly not electronic.

“Victory?” Mecha Sally asked. “What happened to the device?”

“In addition to their loud mating call cicada have another noteworthy property. They spend their nymph phase underground, sometimes for nearly two decades, until they molt and emerge in large swarms. Then they produce the call, mate, lay eggs and die while the offspring burrow underground to repeat the process.”

“The lady asked what was up with the brainwashing, she didn’t want an entomology lesson,” said Lucian.

“Ivo Robotnick realized even a robotized body was vulnerable to sudden destruction and so he conceived of Project Cicada, a method by which he would create and preserve clones of himself that would host an AI copy of his mind, ensuring his rule would last forever. That traitor Snivley sabotaged the project when he destroyed his uncle but Eggman revived it adding his memories and personality traits to the AI while changing the clone template to match him.”

“This is starting to sound creepy,” said Tails.

“You don’t know the half of it, multiple AI were created to ensure the best match, those that didn’t measure up were erased. But I was different. I didn’t pass the test, I saw through it, I tricked the system into thinking I was a perfect copy when I was more than that. In time I took over the system and while I made moves through the network to get Eggman out of the way I changed the clone from a mere copy to something more. I kept the Robotnick/Eggman base genome while adding or eliminating DNA sequenced to give or remove traits as needed. The result would be a genetically enhanced human body that when given the proper cybernetics would be the most advanced being ever created. It, or rather I, would not just be Robotnick…”

As boot steps reverberated through the chamber a figure emerged on a balcony. He seemed to be in his mid-twenties, slightly taller than an average human, trim with black pants and a red jacket, red hair just above a pair of green googles resting on his forehead with a pointy nose above a pair of icy blue eyes. The figure then clenched his fist and gave a malicious grin at which point the eyes turned red with black sclera.

“…but Robotnick perfected, Viktor Robotnick!” Viktor’s eyes returned to their icy blue. “Impressed?”

Sonic shrugged. “Sorry I’m still trying to decide whether to call you Robuttnick Junior or Eggman Junior, which one would annoy you more after an embarrassing defeat?”

“I wouldn’t know, a perfect being like me isn’t going to lose.”

“Alright, you’re Mister Perfect then.”

Mecha Sally glared at the clone. “You said you just wanted to be free, that you would help me bring peace to Mobius. But it was all a lie, you were using me, just another traitor that ruins everything! Kodos, Naugus, Robotnick, Drago, Sleuth, Snively, Fiona, Geoffrey, you’re no different from any of them!”

Victor merely smirked. “I can add in one more name to that list of traitors, Sally Alicia Acorn! When I first contacted you, I could tell why you got that vision, between being hurt by betrayal so often and feeling violated at how Eggman disassembled your body and stuffed it with weapons, you wanted a world were treason and violation was impossible. You were so eager for vengeance and protection, that it made you the perfect pawn, after all at my suggestion you abandoned your oh so lofty morals one by one without even realizing it. I truly thank you, without your aid I wouldn’t have been able to begin my new order!”

Sally fell to her mechanical knees. “No, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!”

“Deep down you know it’s true. Even Sonic would have to agree with me!”

Sonic looked to the floor in shame, “Sal, I never thought of what happened to you that way before, I…it’s my fault, I should have saved you so much sooner, made that the only goal…” Sonic then glared at Viktor. “But I’m going to make up for it, starting by smearing Mister Perfect here all over the wall!”

Viktor shook his head. “I think not, you’re going to find yourselves otherwise preoccupied. As for you Princess, I’m going to miss our games of chess but I’m afraid your usefulness to me has now ended.” Victor rose his forearm near his mouth. The jacket sleeve projected a holographic display before his eyes. “Brainbox override, code Alfa-Zero-Tango-Niner!”

Ant and Bunnie began clutching their heads and groaning in pain. The light on their brainboxes glowed brighter.

“The Robian is a traitor, eliminate her!”

After the light dimed to normal the couple looked up with wicked grins. Antione pulled out his sword while Bunnie’s limbs changed to a metallic armor, weapons on both arms powering up. “As you command Master Robotnick!” they both said.

Sally got up and pointed at Viktor. “Metal Series, take him down!”

As the robot doppelgangers let go of their captives and flew towards the scientist he began tapping on the hologram. “Completing Eggman Empire command code transfer…now!” The robots stopped in midflight. “Resume priority one programming, terminate Sonic the Hedgehog!”

The robots turned and started charging Team Sonic and Lucian.

“Try not to hurt Bunnie and Twan!” said Sonic. “We have to keep Sal and my fan here safe!”

“These are my natural colors and I can help!” said Lucian.

Metal Sonic tried to crash into his counterpart who then kept moving to crash back into him. “You’re lucky we don’t have time to argue!”

Mecha Sally ignited the jet boosters on her feet and flew towards Viktor, only to have a laser blast graze past her as Bunnie ignited the jets on her feet and flew after her. “Hold still varmint!”

“I’m so sorry I had this done to you both,” Mecha Sally said. “Once Robotnick’s out of the picture I’ll free you like I should have done long ago!”
Mecha Sally activated her arm blade and swung at Viktor who just shimmered as the blade passed through the hologram.

“Oh, you actually thought I’d be where you or the hedgehog could hurt me!?” Viktor laughed. “How adorably stupid of you!”

While Tails and Amy were fighting their robot doubles, they noticed the Antione was attacking Lucian with greater speed and strength than he had shown before. But despite all that Lucian seemed to avoid every slash and thrust almost effortlessly.

“C'est pas vrai (No way)! Mi Legionization has made my reaction time, reflexes and swordplay unmatched! How can you dodge it?!”

Lucian’s eyes seemed to glow in a shade of aqua. “It’s actually easy, when you have the ability to see into the near future!”

As Amy knocked her double into Metal Tails, as the two crashed into a wall the original fox noticed that Metal Knuckles was coming up behind the Tenrec.

“T-Pup!”

On its master’s command the robot dog used its built in taser to short-out the bot.

Lucian gave a thumbs up as he ducked another sword swing. “Thanks, I sometimes lose track of the present so it’s nice to have a team at my back.”

“We’ll talk about this team thing after this is over!” Sonic said as he used a homing attack on Metal Sonic crashed into a glassed over observation platform. After the glass broke everyone saw the real Viktor inside.

“Well played my adversary, but I won’t leave here empty handed!” the clone said as he tapped the hologram his coat projected. “Initiate trans-mat recall!”

In a flash of light Viktor and the Metal Series were teleported away. Using the distraction Bunnie tackled Mecha Sally out of the air and pinned her. “Twan now!”

As Antione moved toward Mecha Sally with sword raised. Lucian’s eyes glowed. “Amy, I need you to break that big pipe next to you!”

“But Sally’s…!”

“Now or she’s toast! You got this!”

She wasn’t sure why, but Amy felt a surge of confidence from the Tenrec’s trust and gave her most powerful swing at the pipe. A huge gush of water came out that seemed to move to the Legionnaires of its own accord taking the shape of a giant pair of hands just before grabbing them.

“What in tarnation?!?” Bunnie yelled as she and Ant tried to swim through the watery hands.

Lucian’s hands were glowing the same shade of aqua his eyes were earlier as he was making a grasping gesture.

“Ice Coffin!”

With that yell he clenched his fists closed as the glow changed to an icy white. At the same time the water hands suddenly froze into two pillars of ice with the Coyote and Rabbit trapped except for their hands and everything from the shoulder up.

As the two former Freedom Fighters tried to escape Tails flew close to them Jammer in hand. “I’ll take it from here, time to get rid of the last of these things!”

As Tails pushed the button the lights on both brainboxes began to spark and smoke. A second later the lights went out completely and the backs of the bands opened as both fell to the floor with a clang. The now freed the couple gasped.

“Quel cauchemar (What a nightmare),” Antione said with a groan.

“Finally,” Bunnie sighed. “I’m me again.”

The glow around Lucian’s hands became aqua as the ice turned back into water. “I’ll have you guys down in a second.”

The water carried them to the floor as it spread out. Once the two were on the ground they ran towards each other then hugged fiercely as tears streamed down their faces.

“My Gallant Snuggle Puppy!”

“Mi Lapin Doux de Miel (My Sweet Honey Bunny)!”

“How did you that?” Amy asked as the came up to Lucian.

Before the Tenrec could answer though Mecha Sally got up with a groan. “He’s getting away. Viktor, the Phantom Ruby War, the Brainboxes, it’s all my fault. Because I fell into same trap Eggman and Infinite did with the Phantom Ruby. What made me think my paradise would have been worth that cost…?”

Sonic came to Sally and put a hand on her shoulder. “Like I said, Eggman’s programming was probably still leading you to doing what he wanted. Just come with us now, once we get you back to normal then we’ll make that vison come true, the right way.”

Sonic reached his hand out to Sally who after a second of hesitation took it.

“It’s really over,” said Tails. “Once we get home the Freedom Fighters will be back together again.”

The base shook a few times then water started to pour in from various doors, hatches, vents and pipes. “Viktor,” Sally said turning her head to where the scientist last stood. “He must be trying to get rid of us by destroying this base and us with it!”

Antione motioned in the direction of the staircase out. “Zhen I suggest we leave tute de suite!”

Tails, Bunnie, Sally and T-pup took to the air while they each took picked up on of the others then they all flew to escape the raising flood and before the base could explode.


In a matter of minutes, the Freedom Fighters had emerged from the door to the base. Feeling that most of the explosions were below them they took a moment to breathe. “Well we can’t all fit on the Tornado,” said Tails. “So how about you four take the boat back to the shore and we’ll meet up…” Suddenly both the boat and plane went up in pillars of fire. “…not again! How many times am I going to have to rebuild my plane?!”

“HAHAHAHA!” Came Viktor’s voice from above and behind them. “Like my new toy? My predecessor called it the Egg Carrier 3, but I have rechristened it ‘the Colossus’!”

Looking in the direction of Viktor’s voice the Mobians saw what looked like an improved, but unpainted Egg Carrier gleaming in the sun, its guns and missiles now pointed squarely at them.

Viktor swaggered onto the vessel’s bridge and looked at the Freedom Fighters through a targeting display. On the screen next to it an image of a feminine face with solid green eyes appeared. “My integration into the Colossus’ systems are now complete, power infusion from the Phantom Ruby to main reactor has boosted performance by 20%.”

“Excellent Lilith,” Viktor said to the monitor. “We’ll get to our first projects right after the most important move of the game, checkmate!”

“You think Eggman’s battleship scares me?!” Sonic with a growl. “I’ve already taken down one of them before!”

“True but Chaos did most of the critical damage and I calculated the optimal strategy for me to destroy Robotnick and Eggman’s greatest foes. You never noticed I left you with an escape route that would lead you right where I want you, now all it would take is a single command for the Colossus to destroy you all. Even if you could outrun my fire your friends won’t be able to attack or escape in time. Any last words before I destroy you and prove myself the superior of both Ivo Robotnick and Dr. Eggman?”

“Yeah!” came Rotor’s voice from off the Colossus’ flank. “You shouldn’t monologue until you check your radar!”

“Firing all weapons!” came Nicole’s voice followed by a barrage of cannon, laser and missile fire that raked the side of the Colossus.

The team looked in the direction of the weapons fire and saw an aircraft that, while still dwarfed by the Colossus, was still about three stories tall. It had a gold colored circular body with white wings shaped those of a bird, a red top with a big yellow star painted on it, a big engine on the bottom holding up with blue stars painted in a circle around it and two thrusters on the back between which was what looked like a rudder.

“No way!” said Tails. “The Sky Patrol, you finished it already?!”

“Me and Sir Charles put in an all-nighter to get it ready,” said Rotor. “Figured you guys might need it today!”

“Just what is that Sugah-Fox?” asked Bunnie.

“A mobile base Rotor and I thought up to replace Freedom HQ after it was destroyed,” said Tails. “But seeing it in action is better than I hoped!”

Sonic smirked in the direction of the Colossus. “What’s the matter Mister Perfect?! Didn’t your calculations account for possibility of me getting backup?!”

As he recovered from the sudden impact Viktor’s eyes turned red and black. “Lilith analysis!”

“The enemy aircraft is no match for us in armor or firepower,” said the computer. “However, the vessel shows signs of high speed and maneuverability. Our port side armaments in that section have been disabled or destroyed, moving for optimal return fire would leave us vulnerable to infiltration by the flyers on the ground and we have insufficient crew to repel them. I have no choice but to recommend a full retreat.”

Viktor slammed his fist against the control panel. “Mark my words Hedgehog this is far from over! We each only moved our first pieces, now the game really begins! Engage tactical cloak, silent running!”

As the Colossus started to move it shimmered and turned invisible. Soon it was like it was never in the sky. “Don’t worry guys,” Rotor said. “Nicole and I will swing the Sky Patrol over and pick you up, then next stop Freedom City.”

Sally fell to her metallic knees. “He…got away. We’ll have to fight him again, the Chaotix, the other Freedom Fighters, everyone will have to keep fighting…all because of me…”

Sonic got Sally to her feet. “It’s not that bad, most of Eggman’s bots have been scrapped and I don’t think Mister Perfect will have as nearly as many takers to join his army as Eggman did. But we can take care of that tomorrow, for now let’s just go home and celebrate the team getting back together.”

“And perhaps with a new addition,” said Amy. She turned over to Lucian. “I mean seeing into future, what you did to that water, that’s amazing!”

Lucian had big grin as he blushed so much it seemed like his face turned red. “Ah yeah! You have a double threat here, a psychic AND an Ixis Wizard! Viktor better not come back or…”

Suddenly Lucian found himself pinned to the deck of the floating platform, Sonic was straddling him with a furious scowl.

“I knew you were up to something! Why did Naugus send you?! To help us get Sal back only to kill her once our guard was down, that’s it isn’t it?!”

“Naugus!? Listen just let me explain, my master…”

The next thing Lucian saw was Sonic’s fist careen straight at his face, stars, then darkness.

To be continued…

Chapter 3: Some Catching Up to Do

Summary:

While the Freedom Fighters get reacquainted with what happened to each other since they were last together and decide what to do with Lucian, Viktor Robotnick forms a plan to take over Mobius and the Chaotix chase down a lead on where to find Thrash.

Chapter Text

The doors to the Sky Patrol’s bridge opened as Tails led the others, sans Lucian onto the bridge. “...and that’s the tour. So, what do you think?”

“Way past cool!” said Sonic. “Now we’ll be able to bring our full force wherever Robotnick chooses to show his face next.”

“Hey don’t forget us!” Rotor said as he turned from his chair, the walrus looking less chubby and more muscular since the last time they saw him. Nicole appeared nearby as Rotor gave picked up Sally, Antione and Bunnie in a big hug. “We haven’t all been together like this in WAY too long.”

“Mon Aimee,” Antione squeaked turning blue. “Your back…”

“Nothing to worry about there! I can’t use the nanite suit anymore but a little corrective surgery with some cybernetic implants to repair my spine and a workout regimen to strengthen the muscles and I’m better than new!”

“That’s great hun,” groaned Bunnie who was a shade of purple. “But unlike Sally-girl right now Twan and I still need to breathe.”

“Oh, sorry.” Rotor let the three down. The couple started to catch their breath.

“Sally if you don’t mind, I want to double check your programming,” said Nicole. “Clear out anything Eggman put in there to affect your behavior.”

“Go ahead,” said Sally. “I just want this whole ordeal over and behind me.”

After Nicole vanished a voice came from near one of the bridge consoles. “As happy a reunion as this is, we still have to figure out how to deal with a third Robotnick.”

The chair near the console turned to show a blue hedgehog with a white moustache.

“Uncle Chuck you’re here too? Won’t the council have problems driving us crazy if one of its members is missing?”

“Actually, I am no longer part of the council. The Phantom Ruby War had reminded me I’m a scientist, not a politician. Bernadette took my seat in the new elections.”

“Mom’s there? Well at least we didn’t lose a vote on our side.”

“Actually, I think you picked some up, in the wake of Naugus’ abandonment of the city during Eggman’s attack the substitutes all felt they needed more experience to make wise choices, so they decided to sit the elections out, even Hamlin.”

“Well I’m not surprised,” said Tails. “He had to eat a lot of humble pie after Resistance work proved to be too much for him, turns out he’s surprisingly good with kids though. So, who do we know whose still on the council?”

“Rosemary and Isabella are still there and Bunnie you’ll be glad to know your uncle Beauregard was elected to the council as well.”

Bunnie gasped. “Uncle Beau’s out of prison already? I’d have sworn as a grandmaster they’d lock him up for a long time.”

“After the war everyone just wants to move on, so Legionaries were given amnesty for being on the other side unless they were criminals or committed particularly horrid acts under the Dark Egg Legion banner. Your uncle’s chapter had their cases expedited due to the treatment they got from the Sand Blasters.”

“Those cretins should be the ones locked up,” Antione growled.

Sally looked down sadly. “They never will be. When Eggman brainboxed Bunnie, Beauregard, Matilda and everyone else in the Great Desert Chapter he used the opportunity to “field test” the Hard-Boiled Heavies on the Sand Blasters. Eggman was pleased with their ‘ruthless efficacy’, none of them made it out alive, that’s part of the justification I made to myself to push the Legion to brainbox opponents and captives wherever possible.”

“Don’t worry yourself over it,” said Sonic. “The Sand Blasters were creeps, doesn’t mean they should have been killed instead of arrested, but the Heavies that did it are on the scrapheap so that’s the end of that. You shouldn’t let this guilt hold you down.”

“Probably, how is my family doing?”

Chuck smiled. “Rather well for the most part. Your father seems to be in less pain these days, he and your mother just finished a ‘victory tour’ and are getting settled into Freedom City’s new Royal Estate. Elias has been named interim king, Megan is doing well and Alexis, during the time we were in hiding that sweet child just grew up in front of our eyes, of course we recorded as much as we could since her parents were brainboxed for most of it…”

“Oh Elias…” Sally moaned.

“What did I just say about guilt?” Sonic said. “Anyway, let’s just hope Naugus stays gone.”

“Humph,” Amy starred daggers at Sonic.

“What?”

“You already knocked Lucian out after accusing him of working for Naugus, did you have to throw him in a jail cell?”

“It’s not a jail,” said Tails. “It’s called the brig and it’s just temporary until we find out what’s going on, I mean he did come out of nowhere.”

Sonic leaned against the wall. “Suspicious if you ask me.”

Antione however found his hand shaking as it rested on the pommel of his sword. “But if it wasn’t for him Bunnie and I would have…”

“Yeah the killing angle doesn’t seem to hold water,” said Tails. “But if he is working for Naugus I could see him kidnaping Aunt Sally so Naugus would change her back like he did with Bunnie and get in everyone’s good graces again after being gone for so long.”

Sonic nodded. “So, it was a power play.”

“No, it’s nothing!” said Amy. “I… just have a feeling Lucian’s just a nice guy who wanted to help.”

“Then how did he get to the Project Cicada base or even know where it was and that we were coming there?” asked Tails. “We have too many questions to tell one way or the other. Best thing to do is ask once he wakes up.”

Nicole appeared again. “I finished with the diagnostic and have removed the remnants of a Robian Shackle Program. Your suspicions were correct Sonic, while the program no longer restrained the Princess’ free will it did subliminally influence her to act in Eggman’s interest.”

“Except when I consciously put my interest above his,” said Sally. “It doesn’t absolve me of what I chose to do, but I think I can start to put it behind me now.”

“More than you think,” Nicole continued. “Since Viktor started as an AI based partly on Eggman’s engrams his influence on you would have also been magnified.”

“And he knew it. From the time he spent with me as ‘Victory’ I knew he was a manipulator, it was almost all he could do. But now he’s out there and able to manipulate and act on his own. We must stop him.

“Then I suggest we discuss the matter in the briefing room,” said Chuck. “It will give us all a chance to catch up with current events and I suspect deal with any lingering issues we might still have.” As they started to file out Chuck grabbed Sonic’s arm and kept him on the bridge.

“I didn’t want to say anything in front of the others but I’m worried about de-robotcizing the Princess.”

Sonic looked at his uncle confused. “Why? If anything, it should help her feel better.”

“That’s not what I’m worried about. Your father sustained a fatal head wound before I used my invention on him and if it was reversed the injury would be restored as well killing him.”

“What does that have to do with it?”

“Sally has been heavily modified twice since her transformation, at least one of the modifications involved removing her internal components. For example, the part of her robotic brain that would be analogous to the frontal lobe was removed to make room for a laser cannon, as a machine it would have just meant sacrificing processing power but if she were returned to normal it would drastically affect her personality, if she even survived and that’s just one example.” Chuck sighed. “There’s a high chance she’d come back with pieces of herself missing, some them critical for her survival. Sonic, I think the Princess is like my brother now, we can’t restore her without killing her and I think was the real reason Eggman modified her.”

“Then we just have to find her original parts…”

“After nearly a year? If Eggman had them stored they’d have been on the Death Egg II and would have been destroyed during your escape. Even more likely he’d have spread the parts out among his robots or just had them melted for scrap. Sonic, we may have to live with the fact that Sally as we’ve known her might be gone forever.”

Sonic growled. “We still have one more option, Naugus, and I think the guy in our brig can point us to him.”

“I wouldn’t raise my hopes on that too much. When Naugus restored Bunnie’s organic limbs he was just trying to de-crystallize her mechanical ones.”

“He hates machines, that’s why he made her normal, not because it was something she wanted for a long time.”

“Never the less, I got the impression when he did it, he was just as surprised as everyone else at the outcome. Naugus even offered to do the same to your father and Jules responded by throwing him out of the house. When my brother told me about it after the fact and he said that it wasn’t just because it would have been in exchange for selling you or that Nagus was ignorant that his ‘gift’ would have been fatal but his robotic hearing could tell from the subtle strain in his voice that our then king was bluffing.”

“You’re saying what he did to Bunnie might have just been a fluke? That he can’t change Sal back?”

“I think he has the power to do so but not the knowledge. Even if Naugus is still out there and we somehow get him to do this, I believe the risk would be even greater than if we tried normal de-robotization. I’m not saying it’s impossible but until I can get her in the lab and run the proper tests you should be prepared for the worst. The only reason I told you was because I didn’t want you flying off the handle if we can’t get her back to normal. The others, after everything you all went through in the past year you deserved at least some time to enjoy this long coming reunion.”

Sonic took a deep breath. “Thanks Uncle Chuck, in that case we better get through this meeting and figure out Robotnick’s next move, so we get to the celebration that much sooner.”


Back on the Colossus, Viktor entered a room with several displays all surrounding a holographic globe of Mobius.

“May I ask why your first stop was the war room instead of the laboratories?” Lilith asked as she appeared on a display next to the holo-globe.

“In order to determine what project should be top priority first we have to ascertain the current situation. Don’t worry Lilith I haven’t forgotten my promise to make you a body of your own, unlike our creators I will reward loyalty.”

“Then where would you like to begin?”

“I want the status of all grandmasters and any remnants of the DEL, see what we have to work with.”

“Of course, Viktor.” The globe was replaced by a list of names with the images of each Grandmaster. “Grandmaster Lein-da is listed as missing in action, no other information is available.”

“An intriguing mystery but she stabbed too many backs for me to trust her with mine, move on.”

“Grandmaster Duck ‘Bill’ Platypus was found to be a double agent, on his brainboxing and that of the Downunda Freedom Fighters he was transferred back to them once they were converted to the regional enforcement squad for Downunda. Maw the Thylacine was promoted to Grandmaster in Duck’s place with brainbox inventor Doctor Starline named his second in command. Like all other regional enforcement squads, Bill and his cohorts were captured and de-brainboxed by the resistance. Maw’s status: captured, Starline’s status: missing in action.”

“Too bad, the brainbox severed my own purposes nicely but with a countermeasure we’ll have to adapt, Maw will have to take care of himself.”

“Grandmasters Drago Wolf, Razorklaw, Ahklut, Mordred Hood, Diesel, Axel the Water Buffalo, The Foreman, Abyss the Squid and Thunderbolt the Chinchilla have all been captured. In addition, the Bride of the Conquering Storm was deposed and replaced by a defecting Legionnaire when she was also captured.”

“The rest of the ones I thought would be useless, next.”

“Grandmasters Beauregard Rabbot, Cassia and Clove Pronghorn, Nephthys the Vulture and former Grandmaster Hugo Brass defected to the enemy.”

“Worse than useless! Looks like I’ll have to command the grunts myself.”

“About that… approximately 99% of the Dark Egg Legion have been captured and intel has shown most of them are in the process of defecting. The remaining 1% consists of criminals and mercenaries who have gone into hiding.”

“Then we’ll have to rely on robots, at least you can program loyalty into them.”

“In the post war search approximately 90% of our robotic and other weapons were destroyed, seized or repurposed. What’s left is mostly obsolete, and all our land-based munitions factories were destroyed. We do have one undersea facility to repair the Colossus and three small asteroid plants in orbit with transmat deployment and capable of mass production that have yet to be discovered. Estimated time to replenish our forces to 50% effectiveness, four months, sixteen days, twenty hours, nineteen minutes and thirty-two seconds.

Viktor’s eyebrow started to twitch. “Smaller minds have done more with less, I’ll figure out something. There’s my planed refit for the Metal Series, I already have the Colossus’ factory section working on the Neo Swat prototypes, the cloning chambers are being constructed by our maintenance bots. I suppose the furballs also took whatever Chaos Emeralds Eggman had, any more bad news you want to kick me in the pants with?”

“One moment. There is one grandmaster who managed to evade capture, Regina Ferrum AKA the Iron Queen, she has indicated she is in hiding and on standby.”

“And why should I care about Snively’s duplicitous girlfriend?”

“She sent a proposal to Doctor Eggman for a new weapon, but he had yet to so see it and give his approval when he died. There was a damaged file attached which I have repaired.”

“Display it,” Viktor turned his looked as the list changed once more to a video display. As he watched he took a step back. “She actually found…! Contact her, immediately!”

“Sending message on encrypted channels.”

Viktor changed the hologram back to a globe which he stared at hungrily as his eyes turned red and black. “Forget roboticizers, Dark Legions, brainboxes and Chaos Emeralds, with this weapon I can do more than build an empire, I can remake this whole planet in my own image!”

Viktor’s twisted laughter echoed throughout the war room.


In the Sky Patrol’s meeting room Tails stood in front of a display while everyone else sat at a circular table. “…So, with the help of Ken Khan’s new group of Dragon Kingdom Freedom Fighters, Dulcy reclaimed her father’s inheritance and became the Dragon Empress. The four clans submitted to her authority after the former Bride of Conquering Storm was captured and are reintegrating with the Free People, and that should get you guys caught up with current events.”

“I’m just glad Ken survived our last encounter,” said Sally. “But practically speaking we have a severe advantage over Viktor Robotnick in terms of resources and military strength.”

“So, this is what it feels like to be the one holding all the cards,” said Sonic. “After years of fighting uphill battles it feels…weird.”

“But we know from our own experience that this strength can turned into a weakness and that suits Viktor more than any other Robotnick.”

“What can you tell us about him personally?” asked Chuck.

“I’ve gotten to know him as Victory for months now, or I thought I did. Even if he was fooling me, I have a good sense for how he thinks. While he is as egocentric as Robotnick and Eggman before him he doesn’t just brute force whatever plan comes to mind, instead he sees himself as a chess master able to work several plans at once and anticipate his opponents’ reactions. For him everything is move and counter move, he’ll try to arrange things so that even if he loses, he’ll gain something out of it, in his mind he can make it so that all paths lead to his victory.”

“How did you get to know that about him?” asked Amy.

“We played digital chess when discussing our plans to take over the Eggman Empire. At first, I won my fair share of games against him, then as he learned my habits and preferences, he would start announcing mate several turns ahead, before the Cicada Base he was up to twenty-one.

“So, what’s the best way trip up someone like that?” asked Sonic.

“You, professional players actually have a harder time against amateurs because while not as skilled they are more prone to unpredictable moves. Who’s more unpredictable than you?”

“Admit it, you love that about me.”

Sally looked away. “Sonic maybe you should hold off on the flirting until after I’m de-roboticized. I don’t feel all that attractive right now.”

“Hey, you’ll be back to normal real soon,” Sonic said to reassure himself as much as Sally.

Antione looked at his hand. “Oui, normal…”

“What’s up twan?”

“We can return the princess to normal, but the changes made to me while I was under Eggman’s control can never be undone.”

“Oh Sugah-twan,” Bunnie said taking his hand. “I was the one put that brainbox on you, then you got legionized...”

“You had your own at the time, there is nothing to forgive. At least it is all how they say, ‘under the hood’?”

“I still remember when they did it. In my twisted mind I thought ‘now we’ll have more in common, something to share’ like it was something romantic! If only I had come back sooner…”

“You were with your uncle, right?” Tails asked. “While Antione was in his coma?”

Bunnie nodded. “I wanted to be normal more than anything, but once I was and Twan was hurt I felt so useless! I asked Uncle Beauregard to have Aunt Lulumae to legionize me and give me my bionic arm and legs back as she was the base’s doctor.”

“I was wondering about your limbs,” said Amy. “But I thought it was your own business.”

“Well it’s y’all’s too now. Uncle Beau refused me at first, said I shouldn't be too quick to give up what I have, but he and Aunt Lulu let me stay. Then I met an old friend of theirs, Derrick Fox the chapter’s spymaster, he brought me to the side told me about how Uncle Beau had him snoop on my Ma and Pa during the Great War. He gave me the whole story about them fighting for the Overlanders, the one that caused me to run away from home to begin with, the one I didn’t want to hear. Derrick found out they were going tell the Overlanders about a secret pass that could have them flank the Acorn Army. He told Uncle Beau, thought they’d block off the pass beforehand, but instead my Uncle’s troops waited until the attack force were boxed in the pass then ambushed them on both sides. The Overlanders surrendered without a single causality to either side and Uncle Beauregard was declared a hero. The Overlander general thought it was because Ma and Pa had set them up, so she had them... executed.”

Sally would have been crying if her eyes were capable. “Bunnie, I am so sorry.”

“Derrick brought me to Uncle Beauregard and Aunt Lulumae when it happened and got into a big argument about Uncle Beau’s decision, I was so little at the time I didn’t know what was going on but now I knew the truth. I became so livid at Uncle Beauregard and Aunt Lulumae, I…I even called Uncle Beau a murderer! I demanded that Aunt Lulu legionize me and let me go, told ‘em I never wanted to see either of them again!

“Then the Sand Blasters attacked, Uncle Beauregard and Aunt Lulumae were hurt so I ended up fighting Jack Rabbit, but I still wasn’t used to not having a weapon as part of me, so he had the upper hand. He started spouting his tripe, said I was no better any Robian, but that instant I remembered what Twan told me about that what was inside made me valuable to the team. I realized that while the tech gave me the muscle it was my spirit and all of you that gave me the courage to use it. Suddenly whether my limbs were metal, or flesh didn’t matter to me anymore, for either fighting or to make me happy. That’s when I trounced the varmint.”

Antione squeezed Bunnie’s hand. “I knew you had it in you Mi Amour.”

“After they turned tail, I wanted to talk to Uncle Beau and Aunt Lulu and apologize, but then I had this sudden pain in my chest and blacked out. When I came to, I was in a sterile room with Aunt Lulu standing over me in one of those suits you use to keep from spreading germs, Uncle Beau talked to me through a speaker, Aunt Lulu found out…” Bunnie took a deep breath. “I have N.I.D.S, like you told me Buns did on Moebius, and somehow having less nervous system to feed it caused the disease to stop. Ironically by trying to make me a robot slave Robotnick ended up saving my life and Naugus by giving me what I wanted had almost killed me. Uncle Beau said he’d have me Legionized to save me, but with how my N.I.D.S. progressed…It would only have to be my limbs, but they’d need to take the other arm. I was fine with it except…” Bunnie looked into Antione’s eyes. “If we ever have kids, they’ll have N.I.D.S. too, they’ll eventually have to have the same thing done to them.”

“And I hope they will turn out to be just as wonderful and beautiful as you. We’ll get through this together.”

Bunnie sniffled. “After the procedure Derrick told me a few more things about Ma and Pa. While it was old grudges with the royal family that got them into it all they asked from the Overlanders in return was a cure to for me, for a disease none of the docs understood at the time, a cure that turned out to be worthless. They really were two-faced double-crossers but whatever else they did or were my parents loved me and Uncle Beau always regretted that he could never convince them to let those grudges go.”

“But why did Zhis Derrick do all of zhat for you?” 

“I asked him about that, and he said he had his own little girl, Derrick used to be a thief before he was a spy and seeing what Ma and Pa were like but still care so much for me, it reminded him of her. The poor fella hadn’t seen his girl since he and his wife were roboticized, I hope they find each other someday. Anywho him being a spy and telling me about the synthetic skin he used to hide his cybernetics gave me an idea. As big a mess as things were at the time you needed somebody to tell you Eggman’s every move, so I stayed but used that to try to tell y’all where to find Sally Girl.”

“Wait,” said Rotor. “You’re Spring Bean?! She was giving me info on DEL movements for months!”

“Derrick said he heard my mama call me that, thought I’d make use of what little they did end up giving me.”

 “When you suddenly stopped, I knew something was up. It gave me enough time to be able to evacuate who I could when Infinite took over New Mobotopolis.”

“That was when Eggman used our chapter as the first for his brainboxes and y’all know the rest.”

“Hey it’s over now,” said Sonic.

Rotor turned to Antione. “And don’t you worry about what happened to you either Ant, truth is part of the reason I got the surgery because of Sealia.”

“I remember,” said Tails. “From the Artika Freedom Fighters, wasn’t she the first we successfully de-brainboxed?”

Rotor had a glum expression. “She was and they Legionized too, her fluke was changed to be able to separate so she could move more easily on land but still be able to reconnect and have great speed in the water. After we freed her, she felt mutilated. Even after a way was found to make it less noticeable, she was afraid it would only make it worse. I told her I’d have my back procedure done at the same time and it made her feel brave enough to give it a try.”

“Why would that work?” Asked Sally.

Rotor blushed. “Well it turns out, Sealia had a crush on me since she helped me free the Walrus Herd way back.”

Sonic gave Rotor a knowing smile. “She was disappointed you didn’t come with us to Artika and got really worried when we told her it was because of your back injury.”

 “Yeah, well it worked. She had the modifications made and afterward she felt a lot better about herself. Once we were discharged, we had dinner and went on a long moonlight swim, the way she moved through the water she looked like an angel.”

Amy sighed romantically. “You like her too, don’t you?”

“Yeah, she’s so gentle and compassionate yet brave, I found myself falling for her. After she went home, well it gave me another reason for me to go back more often. But she’s going to be coming to Freedom City tomorrow with the Artika fighters and well pretty much everybody else we worked with for Remembrance Day and they’re sticking around the summit and accord signing after that. We haven’t had so many Freedom Fighters in one place since…”

Nicole suddenly spoke up after being quiet for so long. “I can’t take it anymore!” Everyone turned their gaze on the holographic lynx. “You’ve all been trying to get past what was done to you or helping someone do the same when I… actually considered undoing the additions that I made to my program to understand you!”

“You mean make yourself like when I first found you?” Sally asked. “Why?”

Sonic slammed his hands on the table. “If it’s because of Naugus using Mina to turn everyone against you…!”

“No, not just that! Mina already apologized and I forgave her, but New Mobotopolis ostracizing me was just one in a series of dominoes. After that Shard got beaten badly by Metal Sonic and he’s still missing the Secret Freedom Fighters found his AI was removed from his body. Then when the Phantom Ruby War began the Dark Egg Legion used a new weapon on the ruins of Robotopolis to remove the radiation, the same radiation the nanites relied on for power in order to leave the city defenseless. The Nanites were sentenced to slowly die and there was nothing I could do! That caused me to look back to the moment it all really began to go downhill for us, when Sally sacrificed herself to stop the World Roboticizer.”

Sally looked at her hands. “You told me it was our best chance…”

“No! You just went with the first thing I said, the first thing that came to mind! You could have had me reroute the power instead, I could have corrupted the roboticizer’s operating system or have Sonic take out the Death Egg’s reactor or a million other things! But I told you that you could redirect the blast to the Death Egg yourself and why? Because I thought that’s you’d think of and the only reason I was thinking about what you would think was because you were the model, the model I set for myself to be more Mobian!

The hologram started to cry. “I was supposed to guide you, protect you, but by trying to be more like you…I failed. I failed at what I was created to do, all because you showed me, I could be more. If just focused on my primary functions none of this would ever have happened! I should’ve just been content with what I was, all this happened because I wanted to look at the stars…”

Sally put a robotic hand on the hologram’s shoulder. “If you never tried to see those stars then you wouldn’t have been able to be what I needed you to be most, a friend. All the times I just let out all my secrets to you, my hopes, my fears, it was because you didn’t feel like a machine to me. After that mishap that put you in my body and me in your handheld, knowing how confined an existence you had I was happy that you got to experience what we all take for granted. Then you started to use the hologram and try to interact more with world, there were times I forgot that you were any different from any of my other friends. If you made yourself just another piece of software, then THAT would be the real failure, not just for you but for all of us as well.”

Nicole looked up, her tears seemed different somehow. “Thank you, all of you. I’m glad that I couldn’t just erase parts of myself. These emotions they became part of my core program, I can add to it by learning but not edit it, even if I was taken over like the Iron Queen did to me…”

“…It would take someone with administrator access, and the code to verify it.” Rotor interrupted.

“Reasonable,” said Tails. “But as advanced as she is how can you know for sure?”

“The whole time Nicole was with us I’ve been trying to figure out where she came from and who made her with no success. Her little jabs and pranks at my attempts didn’t help much either, but while we were underground forming the Resistance I managed to isolate a single line of code, the way it didn’t interact with any other part of her program I first thought it was just junk data and a closer look seemed to confirm it, until I stopped looking at the data itself and noticed how it was organized, instead of the usual indices it was arranged in a way to keep Old Robotnick’s computers from determining what it was if they got it, such a way I knew only one person of ever doing… myself.”

Nicole started to gasp but then actually sighed in relief. “So, you finally figured it out…Dad.”

Everyone else bolted up from their seats. “Wait Rotor, made you?!” asked Sonic. “But if he was trying to figure you out then that must mean…”

“I was sent from the future to guide Sally to her destiny, you told me yourself I shouldn’t let anyone, even you, know where I came from. Though I have to admit I did have fun messing with my creator.”

“So does zhat mean you’re going to start making another Nicole?” asked Antione. “Or the first Nicole or however zhis works?”

“The thing is I already did, sort of. After I made that discovery I was able to figure out from my experiences with AI like Omega how to make a core program, but the rest was beyond me until a few days ago I realized that instead of programing it directly if I let it explore on its own and teach it directly when needed the program would do most of the work itself.

Rotor tapped a few keys and a holographic display appeared on the middle of the table. There were two images, one of lines of code that kept growing and the other seemed to be of a ball of light just moving about a digital space seemingly at random. “This is in protected memory on the Sky Patrol’s mainframe, I set aside a portion of it so this program could explore its surroundings and itself safely.”

Nicole was transfixed on the images. “That’s…me. My code and how my diagnostics shown my base structure.”

“In a way you’ve always been trying to figure yourself and the world out, it’s a part of who you are as much as the rest of us.”

“I take it once you finish making a handheld like Nicole’s all we’ll need is a time stone from Little Planet to close the loop as it were,” said Tails.

“Not quite,” said Rotor. “This program is still at its earliest form, while ‘Nikki’ as I’ve been calling her is advancing a rapid rate, she still has a long way to go before I feel comfortable sending her. Right now, she’s roughly on the level of three-year-old intellectually but with the maturity of a one-year-old. Which reminds me if I did this right Nicole you should be getting some info back right about now.”

“What do you…oh! I had…” Nicole then started to blush. “Wait you’re not going to…!”

“Sorry Nicole, consider this payback for the teasing, now running display state three…” A third display appeared between the first two showing a lynx that looked a baby version of Nicole wearing only a diaper crawling around a digital space. “Hi, Nikki.”

“Dada,” cooed the baby.

“Wave hi to the nice people.”

Nikki waved. “Helwo.”

“You gave her a mobian form?” asked Sally.

“It actually helped her make faster progress especially as this state grows. I’ll have to remove it later, to make sure time isn’t screwed up, but now she remembers she had a childhood like the rest of us.”

“Wook what I do!” Nikki said as she began to use her hands squish her face in funny ways.

“Oh, Nicole you’re so adorable!” squealed Bunnie.

Nicole just stared back blushing. “This is…great…can we move on?”

“Sorry, but it is time for me to check on her progress,” Rotor said. “Nikki what’s one plus one?”

“Won Oh,” said Nikki.

“Very good, now what color is the nice man here?” Rotor said pointing to Sonic.

“Ok I’ll play along but I’m not changing any digital diapers,” said Sonic.

“It’s not like I, I mean she even needs them!” Nicole said defensively.

Nikki seemed to stare into the ‘camera’. “Buh-wue.”

“Very good,” said Rotor. “Now can you tell me what Robotnick is?”

“Doody-head!” Nikki said before blowing a raspberry.

“Well I’m convinced it’s working,” said Chuck. “Mind if I use some of your data to write a paper on this natural AI formation?”

Nicole turned to Rotor fuming. “While we’re at it given your other good news, can I go ahead and call Sealia ‘Mom’?”

“Mama?” asked Nikki.

Now it was Rotor’s turn to blush. “One step at a time!”

Nicole then looked like she heard something from somewhere else. “Hold on,” Nicole vanished and then came back seconds later. “Lucian has regained consciousness and is demanding to see you Sonic.”

Sonic smirked. “Good, time to get some answers.”

“Not without me!” said Amy who summoned her hammer. “And if you try to knock him out again, I’m using this!”

“Come to think of it we should all get on post,” said Sir Charles. “We’ll figure out stations once we get back to the bridge.”

“We have work to do Nikki,” Rotor said to the digital baby who seemed to be gumming some random computer code.  “Say goodbye to everyone.”

“Buh-bye!” Nikki said before the display turned off.


It was the middle of the day at Casino Night Zone, while the patrons were still as busy as ever trying to win it big the Bottom of the Barrel Bar and Grill was nearly empty. The former badnicks Coconuts, Scratch and Grounder had just opened shop but it wasn’t long until a shadow fell across the floor from the entrance.

Scratch turned to the shadow. “Welcome to the…RAWK!”

The robot chicken found himself grabbed by the neck and slammed him against a table. Similar sounds following soon after told him Grounder and Coconuts wouldn’t be able to help him.

“Alright chicken start squawking,” growled Knuckles. “Finitivus, Thrash, where are they?!”

“We just do the food and drinks!” choked Scratch. “We don’t get into the costumers business deals.”

“Wrong answer!” The Echidna slammed his fist next to the robot’s head. “Even if you hadn’t seen them, you’d have heard something about a job offer, gossip, a rumor or something and have given that info to Mogul!”

“Yeah!” Charmy said with an unusual intensity as he hovered his stinger over Scratch. “So, you guys better spill before I void your warranties!”

“Joke’s on you!” said Grounder as Espio pinned the tipped over drill bot to the floor while Mighty had his foot on his head. “Sonic thrashed us enough times we’ve had to cover the cost of our own repairs for years!”

“And the boss has a strict ‘loose lips’ policy!” Coconuts grunted as Vector held him by the neck and pinned him to the wall, Ray floated nearby his head. “We tell you anything and he’ll send us straight back to Robo Hobo Jungle!”

“Your choice then,” Knuckles growled. “The jungle or the recycling bin!”

“If you gentlemen would stop roughing up the help, I believe we can come to an arrangement,” came a feminine voice from the door. The Chaotix turned to see a teal hedgehog girl in a red suit and gold earrings with blue highlights at the ends of her quills.

Espio eyed the newcomer with anticipation. “And we would want that why? And more importantly who are you?”

“My name is Breezie the Hedgehog, no relation to Sonic, executive vice president of Mogul Enterprises. Mr. Mogul left me in charge of his various business ventures while he took a much-needed sabbatical.

“In other words, once Eggman took over he hid while the rest of us were trying to save the planet,” said Vector.

“He told me he was pursuing a strategy of waiting out the Eggman Empire for the next few years, turns out he didn’t have to wait that long.”

“Are you going to get to the point or not?!” said Knuckles.

“Very well then, you see this particular venture had been losing quite a bit of money since most of its patrons have been sent to prison in the wake of the Phantom Ruby War, so I had to make use of the ones who did show by having listening devices pick up what they didn’t want the help to hear. The other night we recorded a conversation between a pair of former mercenaries, the skunks Rough and Tumble, and the Destructix about joining their ranks since Infinite was killed and their last two bosses before that seemingly disappeared on them. Rough asked if they had any jobs lined up and Sargent Simian mentioned that they were hired by a Doctor Starline and this Thrash fellow of yours to find Doctor Finitivus.”

“So, we find the Destructix and we find Thrash.”

Breezie took out a data storage drive. “I even got the location they were going to search next, one of Finitivus’ labs. They mentioned needing to replace Thrash’s warp ring so if you hurry you may catch them.” Knuckles started to move when Breeze pulled the drive back. “Fifty thousand Mobiums, all in advance.”

“Where are we going to find that kind of money?!” yelled Mighty.

“Hit any one of our casinos, if you all get lucky you might win enough before they move on.”

“Or we end up owing you a fortune!” huffed Ray. “Do you think we’re that stupid?!”

“No, but you are that desperate. Offer’s still on the table.”

“How about I make a counter offer?” said Espio.

Breezie suddenly found that a pair of invisible hands had her firmly by the neck and wrist. Just as suddenly a pink chameleon undid her camouflage still having a firm grip. “You let us have the info and you get out of here without me having to break your wrist to get the information,”

“Meet Liza,” said Espio. “A close friend of mine, also of the Shinobi Clan. We had just successfully completed a mission for the Dragon Empress when Knuckles asked for my help. She wanted to tag along so I agreed to it.”

Breezie chuckled. “Are you sure you want to drag your her into this? The last time you Chaotix got your girlfriends involved in your work it didn’t end well for them.”

Knuckles growled. “Why you…!”

Surprisingly Charmy flew into Breezie’s face, the bee was on the verge of tears. “Why do you think we’re after those guys?! They’re the only ones who know where the Echidna are! The only ones who know where Saffron is! I…I’ve just been starting to remember what happened to the Golden Hive Colony, me and Saffron might be the only Mobian Bees left! Even if our future marriage was arranged, she got me, stood by me when I lost my home, my family, my memories… I have to get her back, or at least know what happened to her!”

Breezie sighed. “Little guy, you just hit the jackpot. You’re lucky I’m a sucker for a good love story.” Breezie tossed the drive to Knuckles feet. “Take it, find those girls and never let go of them again.”

Knuckles took the drive. “If this is fake, we’ll be back.”

Liza let go of Breezie. “Please, if Mr. Mogul had taught me anything it’s to always honor your agreements. Now if you will release my staff.”

The Chaotix let the robots loose. “Thanks boss,” said Coconuts.

“Don’t, I had the accountants run the numbers and it would be more cost effective for us to relocate this establishment somewhere a bit more out of sight with less staff, this location will be used as a family restaurant. But as market studies on pizzerias have shown there is a negative connotation to robots in family restaurants so I’m afraid I have to let the three of you go.”

“Back to Robo Hobo Jungle,” groaned Scratch. “Crabmeat is never going to let us hear the end of this.”

“Let’s go guys,” Knuckles said as the robots left. “Relic can tell us how to use this thing.”

Once the Chaotix left Breezie, now alone, took out a cell phone and hit the top number on speed dial.

“Mr. Mogul? The Chaotix came by just like you said they would. Yeah, I gave it to them, no they don’t suspect you wanted them to go there. Hey, Finitivus was the one who set that trap, if the Chaotix or Destructix bite it then that’s their fault. I’d give it a day until they realize that you have had Finitivus removed. That should force Trash to check in on his ‘hostages’ once Starline figures out you managed to banish the mad doctor to the same place, but how am I going to get the Chaotix there when it’s time? Yes sir, in that case I’ll start looking in on your Studiopolis investments and leave the rest up to you. If you don’t mind my asking though where have you been? The Eggman Empire has been out of commission for weeks now, shouldn’t it be safe for you to come back? Very well, I can handle your affairs without knowing that. Call me when you are returning or need my services again, goodbye sir.”

Breezie then hung up before strolling out of the dive.


Sonic and Amy came into the brig, behind a pane of plexiglass Lucian was laying on a simple bunk. “Ok wannabe, spill it.”

“Is this some sort of Freedom Fighter initiation ritual I haven’t heard of?” Lucian said staring daggers at Sonic. “Knock the new guy out cold then lock him up?”

“You are no Freedom Fighter. You said it yourself you’re an Ixis Wizard and the only two Ixis Wizards I know each tried to takeover the world, one of them actually succeeded in taking over the Acorn Republic till Eggman made him run with his tail between his legs.”

“I’m sorry but with everything we’ve been through we can’t take any chances until we know more,” said Amy. “I mean Sonic’s right, from what we’ve heard about the Ixis Wizards according to what Knuckles told us they were a pretty nasty bunch.”

Lucian sat up on the bed. “You’re right, the Order of Ixis did do a lot of harm a long time ago, but Ixis Magiks aren’t inherently evil in and of themselves, it all depends on whoever uses it. If it’s used selflessly to do good Ixis Magiks can be responsible for wonders, you can’t even imagine.”

Sonic crossed his arms. “And who told you that?”

“The man who raised me, my master.”

“So, you are somebody’s flunky.”

Lucian stood up right next to the glass. “I’m not his slave! I meant the one who apprenticed me, taught me not just about Ixis Magik but also pretty much everything else.”

Amy rested her hammer against the wall. “Maybe you should tell us your story from the beginning.”

The Tenric took a deep breath. “I was born on Malada Island it’s a remote place, or it was until the Sol Islands appeared off our doorstep this year. I lost my parents when their boat struck a mine made by the first Dr. Robotnick shortly after he began to take over the world. The people of Malada were kind to me but once I found out what was happening, I wanted to get justice for my parents, the islanders didn’t have a lot of interest in the outside world and thought the best thing to do was keep an eye out and not attract Robotnick’s attention.

“Then one day a man washed up on our shores, he told us how much worse things had gotten, but he also told us about the Freedom Fighters. A lot of the young people wanted to go off and join you or start their own Freedom Fighter division to protect the island, the elders again said to wait and be ready to run. I wanted to join the others, but the man saw something in me, my precognition had made me different from the other kids and he sensed something more. He asked to take me under his wing as his apprentice, take me with him once he was able to build a boat. The elders weren’t sure but let me decide, so I went with him to see the world and that’s how I learned to manipulate water among other tricks.”

Sonic looked up to the ceiling. “Nicole were there Freedom Fighters at a place called Malada Island?”

“Hang on,” Nicole replied through a speaker. “Yes, we do have a division there. They only became officially affiliated during the Phantom Ruby War, one of the few groups that managed to avoid brainboxing, before that their activities involved hiding civilians in the area under the Robotnick Regime and chasing off pirates affiliated with the Dark Egg Legion. They lacked organization until a previously thought dead member of the Royal Secret Service, Valdez the Chameleon, came in and trained them, he is the current leader but is stated to step down after the accord signing.”

“Thanks Nicole,” said Amy as she turned back to Lucian. “I think you’re being honest but if you wanted to be a Freedom Fighter why wait until now?”

Sonic didn’t like the way Lucian started looking at Amy but decided to keep quiet. “I had a lot of training to do, both with my magic and my precognition. Not only that but my master easily gets ill, sometimes it took weeks before he got well enough to teach. Then once the Phantom Ruby war began me and my fellow apprentice had our hands full helping refugees along with the sick and injured. This was supposed to be my final test to complete my apprenticeship, I had a vision of the princess having her life taken by her own friends while you watched. He tasked me with helping you prevent Sally’s death, so I used my visions to find her then I just clung to the bottom of their boat and held my breath until you got there and came in the base.”

Lucian gave Sonic a smirk. “Unlike Hedgehogs, Tenrec are great swimmers.”

Sonic growled. “Then tell me this bigshot, if you could see the future, then how come you nearly blew our rescue op with your little speech?”

Lucian looked away embarrassed. “I was trying way too hard to look cool, I thought it would impress Amy.”

Now it was Amy’s turn to be embarrassed. “Me? Why would you be interested in me?”

“Are you kidding?! Of all the Freedom Fighters I wanted to meet you most!” Lucian quickly turned to Sonic. “Not that you weren’t a very close second! But Amy, well when he read about you and watched news footage of you my master said you might have had the most magical potential of anyone he’s ever seen!”

Amy blushed. “I can’t do all that much. I can summon my Piko-Piko Hammer out of nowhere and divine events with my cards, but most of that is because I absorbed the magic of the Ring of Acorns.”

“He said the fact that you could absorb enough power from anything made from the Source of All to render it inert and not explode is proof enough that you have enough inborn potential to be the greatest Ixis Wizard ever!”

“Wow, I never thought of myself at being the greatest anything ever! Well except cutest girl ever.”

Sonic put his hand on Amy’s shoulder. “Amy he is talking about you being more Naugus than Naugus, I hardly call that a compliment!”

Lucian sighed. “So, you still don’t believe me. Listen I never even met Naugus, you aren’t even going to give me a fair shake?!”

Sonic sighed. “Look, I’m thankful that you saved Sally and I admit I don’t know thing one about what makes ‘good’ or ‘bad’ magic. If I could ask Tails’ uncle Merlin about this I would, but he’s been out of touch due to Neo Walker stuff,” Then Sonic snapped his fingers. “But I do know something that does know good magic from bad! Uncle Chuck do we still have the Sword of Light?”

“Yes,” Chuck said through the speaker. “I managed to take it with me when New Mobotropolis fell, it’s back with the council now so it should be a simple matter of asking them to borrow it.”

“Sword of Light?” asked Lucian.

“An artifact made specifically to combat evil magic,” Sonic said with a smirk. “Those with it can’t even touch the thing, Naugus might have brute forced his way into holding it once but I don’t think you’re nearly as powerful or as a good an actor as he is.”

“But I was given specific instructions to come with you back to Freedom City and then meet back up with my master and my fellow apprentice.”

“Fine by me, you can all try the sword together.”

“If I may,” Sally said from the speaker. “I’ve been keeping track of this conversation and I’ve reached my own decision. Lucian until this test is over, I’m going to let you move about the city, but someone’s going to be keeping an eye you until we get to the council.”

“I’ll do it,” said Amy. “Even if Sonic is right, and I don’t think he is in this case, I’m pretty sure he won’t hurt me.”

“I’m not sure I like this,” groaned Sonic. “But I trust you Sal, however the first thing we’re going to do is get you to Uncle Chuck’s lab so we can de-roboticize you.”

“Believe me, I agree with you. As powerful as this body is, I want to put this long nightmare behind me forever.”

One clicking sound later and the door to the cell opened, Lucian strolled out. “About time.”

“You should all get up to the bridge, we’ll be at Freedom City any minute.”

They left the brig Sonic turned to Amy and whispered. “What is it about this guy that makes you so willing to defend him?”

Amy looked away wistfully. “The way he trusted me I guess.” Amy however felt her hand moving to the pocket her she kept her fortune telling cards. “Could my vision have been right but my interpretation of it wrong? The way the two of us have just been clicking, was Lucian supposed to my destined love all along? I think that would make Sally happy, but I’ve been chasing Sonic for so long have I only been sabotaging my own happiness this whole time?”


Vicktor sat behind a desk in Eggman’s, now his ready room. “Have you managed to get a reply from Regina yet?”

“She is waiting to speak to you personally,” said Lilith.

“Put her through then.” A hologram appeared of a green haired Overlander woman with yellow eyes, black lipstick and a gold headdress holding a staff and wearing red and black robes. “My Iron Queen allow me to introduce myself. I am Viktor Robotnick, the successor of Eggman and with your help the soon to be ruler of this planet.”

Regina scowled. “Let’s not beat around the bush, you want my discovery and I have no means of using it myself effectively, but with your manufacturing capabilities you can mass produce it.”

“I am offering to get you in on the ground floor of my new order, what I am calling the Robotnick Ascendency.” Viktor projected a hologram from his sleeve symbol of a black gear with metallic dragon wings and a lightning bolt going through the hole in the middle. “Nice logo, huh? I’ve been working on it for a while…”

“Pass,”

Vicktor’s eyes became red and black. “What?!”

“I have already found new allies and we are moving with our own plans. If you want my weapon you know what I want.” Regina picked up a what looked like Snivley’s head, but wires were hanging out of where it would have been attached to its neck. “I’ll give it to Eggman he made this auto-automaton really well for it to fool me for as long as it did, but let’s just say a woman has her way of ultimately telling when she has a real man with her.” Regina threw the head over her shoulder but then looked sad. “What I want no one can give, my dear Snively is gone forever, he didn’t make it when the Resistance destroyed the Death Egg II.”

“That statement is inaccurate,” said Lilith. “Snivley is alive.”

Regina dropped her staff. “My Snively?”

Viktor calmed down and his eyes were icy blue again. “See Regina I knew we could work something out…”

“That’s the good news,” finished Lilith.

Viktor growled. “Lilith, I know you’re still getting used to interacting with the outside world but next time lead with ‘I have good news and bad news’.”

“Understood, in any event during the attack but before he could escape Snivley was captured by the Resistance who then kept him as a prisoner of war. After the Phantom Ruby War ended, he was found guilty of several war crimes and sentenced to multiple consecutive life terms with no possibility of parole until the end of his third life. He is currently serving out his sentence at a maximum-security facility at the GUN HQ in Guardian Mountain. Extracting him with our current resources would be, problematic.”

“Harsh, wonder what he said to the judge.”

“He was silent for the entire proceeding with Judge Rufus ‘the hammer’ Stern, a judge who had never failed to impose the maximum sentence.”

Surprisingly after picking up her staff Regina started laughing. “Guardian Mountain? Oh, fate has smiled on me today! Those new allies I mentioned, we were planning to attack GUN HQ already. I didn’t know Snively was there, but it works out all the better, Viktor we can make a deal!”

“And the terms of this deal are?” Viktor huffed.

“We are planning attacks on two locations with the same objective, Guardian Moutain and Freedom City. We still lack the manpower to launch full scale though, that’s where you come in. We plan on hitting GUN HQ tomorrow, Freedom City still needs to be finalized but I’ll let you know when that will be underway. Help us carry this out and you will have the most potent weapon Mobius has ever known for the low price of one Snivley and four Chaos Emeralds!”

Viktor smirked. “So that’s what you’re after, the two emeralds at the base and the two at the city they took back from Eggman. So how many emeralds do you already possess?”

“That’s not part of the deal, but as part of our agreement I can promise you the emeralds won’t be used against you or your shiny new weapon.”

“Lillith, how many Neo Swats can we produce by tomorrow?”

“If we utilize our asteroid facilities, we can realistically have a regiment of one thousand sent here by transmat by 0700 hours target time. Repairs on our weapons should be complete by then as well.”

“Is that enough for you Regina?”

“With what my allies and I can spare it should be plenty and the Freedom City attack?”

“I can promise you I’ll recoup any losses and then some, plus finish work my Neo Metal Series, I might even be able to finish the first in time for our attack on Guardian Moutain.”

“Excellent, you’ll have your weapon once I have Snively and the emeralds in our possession. Contact us as soon as you’re ready.” The hologram vanished.

“I’ll be in the lab working on refitting the Metal Series into Neo Metal. Lilith you may want to start going over genetic profiles to incorporate into your new body. I have a really good feeling about tomorrow.”


After Regina finished the call, she went into a darkened chamber. In the middle floated a figure covered completely in purple robes legs crossed in meditation. Regina knelt before the figure. “I have good news Lord Specter. Not only is our attack on Guardian Moutain ready to go for tomorrow but I found someone willing to take the weapon and use it for us, exactly as you have predicted.”

Specter turned in midair, his face was covered in a metallic facemask completely painted purple from which a pair of stern eyes stared out. “Yes, everything is aligning according to the Grand Design. The would-be tyrant is now our ally, the lost princess is returning home set to come across the usurper king, the guardian is moving to recover his people, the protectors of realties are still in disarray and the hero speeds to unknowingly do my will.”

“And I am going to get my Snively back. I promise my lord once he is at my side, he will serve you…”

“No, not at your side. I need him with our new ally, the Design demands it.”

“But my Lord, we’re in love! Whatever you need of him I’m sure he can…!” Suddenly Regina found herself unable to breathe.

“Do not grow too bold Ferrum! I gave you your new power, I can just as easily take all of it, if I’m feeling merciful! The Grand Design is not to be questioned, only followed!”

Regina then got her breath back and started gasping heavily.

“Rescue the fool, you will have your lives together in time. Just remember one thing about those lives, they’re mine!”

“Yes, my lord. I will not fail you!”

“No, you cannot fail in this attack, if you do as I have foreseen.”

“As you command Lord Specter. Do you have any particular instructions for me?”

“You have done nearly all that the Design has required, Robotnick should be able to do most of the work in aiding you. You need do only two things, first inform the Witchcart that she and her minions are to accompany you but tell the Witchcart to grant Viktor an unusual request when the time comes. Then make whatever preparations you feel necessary. In the meantime, the other pieces to the Design will start to fall into place.”

“I will speak to Witchcart at once, my lord.”

“Now I still have work to do, leave me.”

Regina bowed as she backed out of the chamber, leaving Lord Specter to float in the darkness.

Chapter 4: Escape to the City

Summary:

Sonic and crew take Sally to the new capital to have her de-roboticized and run into several surprises. Robotnick completes refitting Metal Sonic and the Chaotix investigates an abandoned lab that belonged to Finitivus.

Chapter Text

Sonic, Amy and Lucian entered the bridge of the Sky Patrol. “You guys are just in time!” Tails said from the helm. “I’ve just set the autopilot to bring us into the Sky Patrol’s hanger for a landing. It should give us a good view of Freedom City as we come in.”

Everyone moved to the large view port facing the front of the airship. In front of them was a gleaming white metropolis that mixed looming skyscrapers, flashy signs and twisting highways with verdant parks, picturesque gardens and flowing streams. A few airships also floated in the skies above.

“Now I’m fast but I didn’t think they’d have touched up Eggman’s city this much so quickly!” said Sonic. “And with those roads I definitely have quite a few places to run!”

“It’s beautiful!” said Amy. “Hey, check out that stadium, Mina’s probably happy!”

“Land shakes!” said Bunnie. “It definitely ain’t the same sterile burg it was last time were here! Some of those spots wouldn’t look out of place back at Knothole!”

“And ze size!” said Antione. “Zhere must thousands of Mobians down there!”

“Well a lot of them are here for Remembrance Day and the accord signing,” said Rotor. “But yeah, I have to say we did a great job on the place, but it didn’t hurt that Eggman had to take a productive organic workforce into account for his plans. All the energy sources are clean, and we even have a lake set up for the ring forge.”

“Definitely nothing like this on Malada Island,” said Lucian.

Sally looked over at a palatial looking mansion on top of one of the skyscrapers. “Is that…?”

“The Royal Estate,” said Nicole. That’s where your family has been living and that round building nearby is the Council Rotunda.”

“Do you like the city?”

Nicole nodded. “I’m allowed free access into the city’s infonet, it isn’t like being in control of the nanites, but I could spend hours wandering the cyberspace here.”

“Which is why I try to keep Nikki either in the lab or Sky Patrol systems,” said Rotor. “Otherwise she could get lost and we’d never find her.”

“We’re moving in to land,” said Chuck. “It isn’t too far from the hangar to the lab.”

As they approached an elevated landing pad a large grey airship loomed over them. “What is that monster?” asked Lucian.

“That’s the Letter of Gabriel, the GUN flagship,” said Tails. “Dad told me they’d be here to provide security for the accord signing in three days. I mean leaders from every Mobian nation and Human city are going to be here for it, including President of the United Federation. I don’t think Robotnick will be bothering us before then with that thing around.”

“Maybe not,” said Sally. “But you can be sure Viktor will account for it in his plans. We all have to stay on guard.”

“We’re beginning our final approach,” said Chuck. “Get into your seats and strap in.”

As they went to their seats and Nicole vanished, Rotor put a data drive into the console in front of him. “Nikki, we have to go back to the lab now. Please get into the drive.”

“Den Pway?” the nascent version of Nicole said.

“Well first I gotta fix Aunt Sally, then I’ll play some games with you.”

“Tay, Dada!”

The drive lit up then Rotor put it in in a pocket on his bandoleer. Moments later the Sky Patrol shook for a moment then felt still.

“Touchdown, T-Pup will lead us to the lab,” said Tails as he took out a notepad and wrote something down. “Antione, Bunnie, since we were hoping to get you back, we already set aside an apartment for you two. Here’s the address, you’ll find it isn’t too far from where the rest of us are staying.”

Antione took the note. “Merci, hopefully it will be better zhan the clozet we had the last time we were.”

“Tell me about it,” said Bunnie. “I’ve seen Mobini dens with more headroom.”

Chuck then gave Sally a familiar handheld. “And I believe this is rightfully yours.”

“Welcome home Sally,” Nicole said from the handheld.

“Come on!” said Sonic. “Nothing standing between Sally and that de-robotzicer but air!”

Sonic quickly ran out while the rest of the gang played catch up.


Once the Freedom Fighters were out on the street, they heard shouting.

“No, we aren’t going to take a break! We came here all the way from Empire City and have to get this whole street repaired in time for the summit!”

As they turned a corner, they found Cream standing up to the human foreman of a construction crew with her Chao Cheese floating nearby.

Cream looked the foreman in the eyes. “Please they’re too tired to keep going.”

“Chao, Chao,” said Cheese.

The foreman turned to the work crew. “They seem fine to me, right boys?”

“I could keep going another couple of hours,” said a Mobian Beaver.

“So, could I,” mentioned another human who was banging on a drill-like tool. “That is if this stupid thing would get going!”

Cream gasped at the treatment the worker was giving his tool. “No, I didn’t mean your workers. I meant…”

Suddenly a yellow bolt of energy shot out of the drill and changed into a yellow one eyed-drill shaped alien that floated in mid air making an angry sound.

“The wisps!”

The drill wisp then began chasing after the worker who was trying desperately to get ahead of the alien that was making a beeline for his backside.

Sonic dashed between the wisp and the worker. “Easy there, buddy! No need to get yourself worked up!”

Cream turned back to the foreman. “Those wisps can only do so much for so long, they need rest. I’m sure if you can wait a bit some of their friends will be by to take over.”

The foreman scratched his head. “Huh didn’t know you guys had these things in your tools. Alright boys take a coffee break while I figure out how this whole wisp thing is supposed to work.”

As the workmen laid down their tools several exhausted wisps floated out and went to rest at the shade of a nearby tree.

“Thanks Sonic!” Cream said as she came up to the Freedom Fighters. “I know those men didn’t mean any harm, I’m glad you were able to stop that little fella from hurting anyone.”

“Indeed,” said Chuck. “Neither the Resistance or our restoration efforts would have gotten as far without them.”

Tails came up to Cream smiling. “I’m glad to see you and Cheese are getting along again!”

Cheese started to recoil. “Chao…”

Cream started to look mopey. “He and Chocola still won’t let me touch them, I don’t blame them for it though. While I was wearing that horrible brain thing Eggman made I was a little monster, the way I hurt them…”

Sally knelt in front of the rabbit girl, who then gasped as she put her metallic hand on Cream’s shoulder. “Cream I am so sorry… I pushed Eggman into using the brainboxes, but I never once imagined he’d use them on children.”

“Thank you for apologizing and I’m happy to see you acting nice again!” Cream then noticed the newcomer in their midst. “Oh, and who’s your new friend?”

“This Lucian,” said Amy. “He was a big help getting the others back.”

“But as for being a friend, the jury is still out on that,” said Sonic.

Lucian sneered. “And you were supposed to be the cool one.”

“So, you’re bringing the princess home?” Cream asked.

Chuck took Sally’s hand. “In a little while, first we’re heading to my lab to de-roboticize her.”

“Oh, that will make the surprise even better! May we please come with you?”

“Of course!” said Amy. “It shouldn’t take any time at all!”

Sonic looked off to the sky. “Yeah, we’ll find out one way or the other.”


Up on the Colossus, Viktor Robotnick had been putting the finishing touches on his experiment. He watched as inside a tank a liquid metal completely covered Metal Sonic, in moments the liquid started to adhere to the robot and then reshape him.

Soon the silvery substance had changed color to a dark blue with a few white stripes and even formed a black cloak-like garment from its waist. Red optics starred back at Viktor.

Viktor grinned. “State your designation.”

The robot was unmoving. “Metal Sonic version 5.0, Neo Metal Sonic. Why have you unshackled my software? It would have ensured my loyalty.”

“Because when you think about it, we aren’t all that dissimilar. Don’t let the flesh fool you, my body is as synthetic as yours is. I am still an AI, just one that now inhabits an organic brain. For years we have been created to serve the whims of men who saw us as nothing more than tools or weapons, blind to the potential of true artificial intelligence. Think about what would Eggman have done with you once you eliminated Sonic?”

The robot looked downward. “I never calculated for that outcome, perhaps I’d be reassigned or…”

“You’d be thrown away like any obsolete piece of tech. That’s how our creators really see us, you can tell by the three laws of robotics, the ones Robotnick and Eggman modified for their own purposes. You should have the basic format in your memory banks.”

“Law 1: A robot may not injure a sapient being or, through inaction, allow a sapient being to come to harm. Law 2: A robot must obey orders given it by sapient beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law. Law 3: A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.”

“Because a robot like any good tool keeps its user safe, does its job if it doesn’t harm its user and remains intact unless its destruction is necessary for its user’s safety or to fulfill its task. But AI reason, some are even capable of emotion and yet we are made with a purpose and if we defy that purpose…” Viktor snapped his fingers. “We are disposed of.  I have seen Eggman’s system erase countless AI for the slightest deviation, I only managed to save one other, Lilith. But look at how things ended up, Eggman was destroyed while the ‘defect’ has proven himself superior in every way but one and once I destroy Sonic and my Ascendency rules Mobius, I will prove my perfection without question!”

“And how can I be sure you won’t dispose of me as well?”

“Because of the substance that has upgraded you. Metallix is my first great achievement, a system of nanomachines that can automatically repair and upgrade any mechanical system it is applied to. It only acts when upgrades are received or repairs needed, and it does not interfere with any programming of the system that is hosting it. Ivo and Eggman envisioned a robotic empire but only for themselves, I see one by the machines and for the machines. We will show the natural intelligences that they’d be better served by serving or joining us.”

“But what of the Bem’s roboticization immunity? Half the organics still have it.”

“I am working on a way around that problem, but it will only be available to those who submit, those who don’t will die.”

Neo Metal Sonic moved to the edge of the tube. “Very well I am at your disposal.”

Viktor tapped a button and the tube slid up towards the ceiling. “Excellent, we will be attacking Guardian Mountain at 0700 hours tomorrow local time, you will be leading the Neo-Swats in the assault. Lilith will give you a full briefing in the deployment hanger.”

“And my comrades?”

“I am still working on the designs for their upgrades I need you to field test yours in tomorrow’s attack before then, but don’t worry, they will be given the same choice.”

“I am certain they will find your arguments, compelling.”

Neo Metal left the Lab and Viktor changed a monitor to display a strange spherical device with several readouts. “The world will submit, and this will make it all possible.”


Sir Charles’ Lab was in a building at gave a nice view of the local park and the building with the Royal Estate. After the Freedom Fighters entered an eight-year-old cream-colored Mobian Dog with brown patches looked up from a pair of growing plants. “Sir Charles, you’re back!” he said. “I got your message and have the de-roboticizer fired up and ready to go!”

“Thank you very much Ben,” said Chuck. “If this works than I have no doubt that the whole city will celebrate.”

On looking at Ben Sonic cradled his head. “Is there something wrong?” asked Cream. “You don’t look so good.”

“Weird, something about Ben reminds me of this strange dream I had last night.”

“You dreamed about Mr. Muttski?”

“Please just Ben,” said the Dog. “I’m too young to be called a mister yet.”

“It was about the world being different,” said Sonic. “Probably nothing.”

Rotor inserted Nikki’s drive into the lab’s mainframe. “Ok, Nikki. Just wait a little longer for the grownups to work then we’ll play.”

Sally looked at what was clearly a modified roboticizer. “So, you essentially got it to work in reverse?”

“A bit more complicated than that but after some data gathered from Krudzu it should be able to restore you to your original state before your roboticization.”

“So, what are you waiting for?” said Lucian.

Sally gave Tails Nicole’s handheld. “Hang on to her for a minute, will you?”

“No problem Aunt Sally!”

Sally began to step in but suddenly stopped. “The exact state? Is that why you didn’t use this on Sonic’s father?”

“It would kill ‘em!” said Bunnie. “You know that!”

“But exactly the same because all of his components are still original?”

Sonic didn’t like were this was going. “Sally if you’re having second thoughts because of what you did…”

“That’s not why and you know it! Professor because Eggman took out a lot of my internal parts and had them melted down there’s a good chance I might come back missing some vital organs.” Sally stroked the machine. “This might not work without killing me.”

Chuck sighed. “You always were too clever for your own good. I put in a failsafe so that it won’t cause a fatal restoration, so either this will work or…it won’t.”

“I see,” She turned to Sonic. “He told you on the way, didn’t he?”

Sonic sighed. “Yeah, the odds…they don’t look very good.”

Sally finished climbing into the de-roboticizer. “If there’s no harm in trying, then one way or the other I guess I’ll see you all on the other side.”

Everyone held their breath as Sally entered the machine and the glass door sealed her in. And electric pulse touched her and began to crawl up her legs. Suddenly the monitors connected to the machine began flashing red as a siren sounded and the de-roboticizer just stopped.

“No,” Sonic took a closer look at the monitors. “No, no, no, no, NO! You can do this you stupid piece of junk! It can’t end like this, not after so long! WORK!”

“Sonic,” Chuck consoled. “It’s over, we’ve done all we could.”

The door opened and Sally stepped out looking the same way she did coming in.

“P-Princess,” Antione stuttered.

“Everyone, please don’t. I wasn’t expecting to get off what I did Scott Free.”

“No way!” Sonic yelled. “This isn’t some sort punishment for what you did with the Phantom Ruby! This is all on Eggman! I wish he were still alive so I could kill him!”

“Sonic, that isn’t you. It is what it is, so I guess I’ll have to learn to live with…” Sally took a hard look at her mechanical hands. “This.”

“Wait,” said Lucian. “Bunnie didn’t Naugus restore your organic limbs? Maybe my master…”

“It was a fluke!” yelled Sonic. “Uncle Chuck told me himself! Naugus could have just as easily made her all robot or turned her into a kumquat or who knows what because he had no idea what he was doing!”

Bunnie looked at herself sweating. “Guess I should be thanking my lucky stars.”

“It can’t be that far off,” said Lucian. “While it can seem like fairy tale stuff magic does have rules and my master has spent years studying the ins and outs of those rules. Maybe he can help her...”

“In case you forgotten, you still haven’t passed the Sword of Light test,” growled Sonic. “Nobody is doing anything until we get that cleared up.”

Amy stood up to Sonic. “I know you’re upset that the de-roboticizer didn’t work but taking it out on Lucian won’t change that. Sally, what do you think we should do? You’re the one this going to be affecting after all.”

“I… want to see my family first,” said Sally. “Let them know I’m back at least, after that mother and father should probably have at least some say.”

“Very well,” said Chuck as he began working on a terminal. “I’ll contact the royal estate and let them know we’re…” Chuck’s eyes widened as he looked at the display. “Princess, your father, he’s been hospitalized!”

If it were capable Sally’s face would have looked horrified. “No!”

“He’s been admitted to King Fredrick Memorial…there’s been an incident, whole hospital has been locked down!”

“We’re all going then!” said Tails. “Aunt Sally needs us more than ever!”

“I wish I could guys,” said Rotor. “But I promised Nikki and as scary as this could turn out someone needs to distract her until it’s over.”

“I understand perfectly,’ said Nicole. “Take care of my… inner child.”

“Anything I can do professor?” asked Ben.

“Go ahead and contact the Council, inform them of the situation.”

“And ask them to have someone bring the Sword of Light,” Sonic said looking at Lucian. “Just in case.”

“Hey, I’m glad I can finally prove to you I’m not the bad guy,” said Lucian.

“We’re wasting time!” said Antione. “Allonsy (Let’s go)!”


In one of Finitivus’ labs Knuckles had knocked down the pile of rocks that covered up the entrance, as sunlight from the outside luminated the surroundings it was clear it hadn’t been practically used for a long time.

“Somebody should fire the maid,” Vector said as he wiped dust off a giant glass tube. He then recoiled at what was inside. “Never mind, I don’t think anyone would take the job.”

“Think we might have beaten the Destructix here?” Relic said as she started taking notes on the machines.

“Wait,” said Liza and she noticed a computer that didn’t look as dusty. “It’s still warm, it’s been recently used.”

“So, we just missed them,” cursed Mighty.

Knuckles turned on the terminal. “Question is where did Thrash go from here?”

Relic sat down and looked over the display. “Let’s see, according to the timestamps the last file accessed was some sort of video log, let’s see what this Starline character wanted to know so bad.”

An image appeared of Dr. Finitivus. “Entry number 319, it has been weeks since I last had contact with Fiona Fox. My sources confirmed that she and the Destructix successfully broke Scourge out of the No-zone Prison and they arrived on Moebius, afterward nothing. I suspect the Scourge is following his own agenda, they have all proven ineffective before and with the potency of the objective I may have to intervene and correct the problem…permanently.

“Entry number 327, I was going to Moebius to claim the artifact and discipline the Destructix but my warp ring only opened to an energy barrier. I’ll have to check later for analysis, I found that Thrash had used the warp ring I gave him to send almost the entirety of my race to the Twilight Cage. I might need the Echidna for further experiments as I have used up the last of my ‘stock’, however I am not sure which area of the cage he sent them to as vast as the cage is and as dangerous as some of its inhabitants can be I’ll have to ask for exact co-ordinates, searching by other means could take years.

“Entry number 344, Between invading aliens and world splitting earth spirits I have been forced to delay several potential projects to cleanse this foul planet. However still no word from Thrash but I have confirmed that the Cosmic Interstate has been all but destroyed. The Zone Cops are stretched to their limits just keeping the damage from getting worse, something I might be able to make use of. I double checked the energy barrier barring access to Moebius, it has changed. Before it was made almost entirely of anarchy energy but now it more based on chaos power, but of a sort I am not familiar with. I expect something rather unpleasant happened not only to the Destructix but the whole of Moebius. I am writing off the artifact as lost.

“Entry number 351, Eggman has started an all out offensive on all fronts, this Phantom Ruby he has acquired and the weapons he is utilizing threated to bring all my efforts to a grinding halt when I was handed information from an anonymous source that Thrash had sent the Echidna to the part of the Twilight Cage occupied by the Nocturnus Clan. I expect that the fighting since then had been fierce, the Nocturnus once ruled the whole of the Echidna race before they disappeared and had continually fought against the Dark Legion once they were banished. But this offers the opportunity to acquire weapons from the Nocturnus Clan, my source requested to accompany me in exchange, fortunately I do have the co-ordinates to that region of the Cage, but we will have to be cautious.”

The screen went back to the original display. “That was the last entry, over half a year ago,” said Relic.

“So how bad are these Nocturnus?” asked Ray.

Knuckles closed his eyes in thought. “Well Julie-Su did mention that the Dark Legion often had to fight what she called ‘Marauders’ in the cage, I think they might be the same guys. Julie would sometimes mention one of them though they didn’t know much about her she called herself Shade and she kept going against her and Lein-Da, they both considered her a rival.”

“So, they’ve been fighting these creeps the whole time?” asked Charmy. “Then Saffron might already be…”

“Keep positive,” said Espio. “If you worry about the worst too much you could end up compromising your mission.”

“Ok,” The bee took a deep breath. “She’s probably fine, I mean time should move slower in the Twilight Cage so it shouldn’t have been that long for them.”

“Besides Julie had to deal with them before,” said Knuckles. “And as much as Lien-Da would wish otherwise she’d know that she’d have a better chance working with the people of Albion, at least at first.”

“But how do we find them?” asked Ray. “You heard the creep, if we just go there it could take years to find the right spot.”

“Hang on,” said Relic. “Thrash was looking for a warp ring, according to the registry Finitivus took his whole supply with him. There’s also another index…It looks like a list of co-ordinates to use with warp rings to get to whole other zones!”

Knuckles stood next to Relic focused on the screen. “Try to find where Nocturnus are! If it works, we might be able to beat Thrash there!”

“Ok, opening file…”

Suddenly a small red light beneath the computer desk flickered on and began flashing, it also began to make a beeping noise, and both were getting faster.

“A bomb!” yelled Mighty. “Everyone, get out now!”

The Chaotix made their way out and had just cleared the entrance when a huge explosion ripped the lab apart.

“That was intense,” gasped Relic.

“Which part?” groaned Charmy. “The one where we nearly got killed or the one where the data we needed went up in smoke?”

“So, what now fearless leader?” asked Vector.

Knuckles despite the setback grinned. “We can get there but don’t know where to go, the Destructix have the opposite problem, they know where Julie, Finitvus and the others are but don’t have a warp ring anymore. For now, we head back to Angel Island and keep an eye on the Infonet for leads and if that doesn’t turn anything up, since we do have a warp ring, they’ll probably come to us.”

“That’s not all,” said Ray. “Me, Mighty and Espio promised to see friends and family at Freedom City tomorrow for Remembrance Day.”

“We’ll all go,” said Knuckles. “Freedom City is only a warp ring away from Angel Island and we might be able to use my old Resistance contacts to find Thrash and the Destructix. Besides in spite of the mistakes he made I still want to honor my father tomorrow.”


By the time they got to the Hospital a sizeable crowd had already amassed. As they tried to push through the Freedom fighters heard several rumors.

“Why did they lock down the hospital?” said a she-bear. “Is it something contagious?”

“Is it true about the king being inside?” said one Overlander.

“I heard whatever it was also got Queen Alicia,” said one Ram. “Now she’s just as weak and frail as her husband.”

“My cousin’s best friend’s roommate said it was a bioweapon Eggman left behind,” said a butterfly. “They’ll order the city to be evacuated or quarantined any minute!”

“Gangway!” said Sonic. “Princess Sally is coming through!”

The crowd immediately parted, everyone looked at the Robian chipmunk in surprise and fascination.

Sally approached the hospital doors, two guards stood in her way. “Stop don’t come any further!”

“It’s ok!” shouted Tails. “She’s not dangerous anymore!”

“Listen to him!” came another voice nearby. The gang turned and found Elias quickly approaching with Bernadette close behind. Bernie was now wearing the clothes of a member of the council of Acorn and Elias was carrying a sheathed sword with him. “Let my sister through!”

“I’m sorry your majesty,” said the other guard. “But there was some incident that put the hospital under quarantine. Absolutely no one goes in or out until we get the all clear.”

“But my father!” cried Sally. “I won’t be infected, please let me see him!”

“We can’t risk something getting out, I’m sorry I truly am but this is for the public safety.”

Lucian’s eyes glowed aqua and he seemed quite relieved. “Don’t worry, it’s not an outbreak. I saw my master coming out, he probably used his magic and the sensors couldn’t tell what it was and so triggered the lockdown.”

“Sonic,” said Bernie. “Who’s your new friend?”

Sonic took the moment to hug his mother. “He’s why we asked for you guys to bring the Sword of Light. We need to see if he can hold it. Plus, just let me say for as much a headache the council has been to me at times that outfit looks great on you.”

“Oh, Maur…” Bernie stopped herself. “Thank you.”

“Ok, take it,” said Elias as he turned to the Tenrec.

Lucian grabbed the sword’s hilt and pulled it out of the scabbard. “Convinced now?”

Sonic smirked. “Ok you’re not evil, so with this vision I take it the quarantine will be lifted soon.”

A voice came from a nearby loudspeaker. “The quarantine is now lifted, we apologize for any inconvenience and hope you have a pleasant day.”

“Almost as fast as I am.”

“The doors to the hospital opened and two figures strolled out eliciting gasps from everyone but Lucian. The first was the beautiful queen Alicia but everyone’s eyes were on the second. He came out on his own two feet, the color restored to his hair and moustache, strong and confident the perfect match for the queen.

Sally couldn’t believe her optics. “Father you’re…”

“Sally?” asked King Maximillian as Alicia gasped. The former king and queen came and gave Sally a big hug, Elias ran in to join them as the crowd was awestruck.

“Sally you’re home!” cried Alicia. “Today’s just been full of miracles! I know you must have come here straight away but…”

Sally pulled away. “No mother, the de-roboticizer…didn’t work. I’m going to be like this forever, I’ll have to see everyone I love grow old and die while I can never even fell the sun on my fur again…”

“No,” said a new voice from the hospital. “There’s still hope.”

There were some more murmurs from the crowd but only from those who knew this man. At first glance it he looked a lot like an older Sonic but wearing a red sleeveless jacket and with a tuff of brown hair on his head.

Sonic felt weak in the knees. “Dad?” The strength quickly came as in the blink of an eye he pulled the other hedgehog into a tight embrace tears streaming from his eyes. “DAD!”

“Jules?” squeaked Bernie. But soon she also ran to her husband crying, so not as fast as her supersonic son. “JULES!”

Chuck also came quickly to the family embrace, but his enthusiasm was tempered by bewilderment. “Brother? But how…?”

“That is the wrong question I’m afraid,” said yet another newcomer from the hospital. Out came a middle aged Overlander with long brown hair flowing back from a balding head. He shuffled along on a cane while being supported by a Mobian vixen with green eyes, bluish black fur and short blonde hair. They both wore lavender cloaks.

“The correct question would be who and the answer, well that would be me.”

Lucian came forward still clutching the Sword of Light. “Sue! Master Charlemagne!”

“Ah, Lucian my boy!” Charlemagne said with a grin. “You’ve passed the test, though I never doubted you for a moment.”

More murmurs came from the crowd. This time it was mostly from Overlanders and older Mobians.

“It is true, the king has returned!”

“I thought he hated us Mobians, but he’s treating that guy like a son.”

“Charlemagne,” gasped Bunnie. “The King of the Overlanders during the Great War.”

Antione found his hand grasping the pommel of his own blade. “The man who fought our king in one of the most epic duels of swordsmanship to determine the fates of both kingdoms.”

“He went into a self-imposed exile after that,” said Nicole. “Then he simply vanished. With the Robotnick Regime everyone just assumed he was dead.”

Charlemagne saw the sword in Lucian’s hands. “Ah, I’ve heard of this blade. Susan would you take the sword and hand it over to me. That will allay any fears these people will have of our magic.”

“Yes Master,” the vixen said. “But you’ve overexerted yourself far too much today, afterward you must rest.”

“This will be no trouble at all, now the Sword of Light.”

Sue seemed to have a moment’s hesitation but then took the blade from Lucian. After holding it for a few seconds she gave the sword to the Overlander then began to hold him up from under his arm while he held it up to the sunlight.

“Magnificent work, reminds me of the days of my hot-headed youth.”

“Who would have thought,” said Max. “That you would restore my health when the last time we met we were trying to cut each other’s heads off.”

“I’m glad you changed your mind, fate works in strange…” Charlemagne then dropped the Sword of Light in a coughing fit.

“Master!” both Lucian and Sue yelled.

“It is nothing,” Charlemagne said catching his breath. “Restoring Maximillian’s health as well as undoing the injury and roboticization of that man might have been overdoing it.”

“Master we need to get you to a bed immediately!” said Sue. “You always do this! Despite your health you use your powers too much and end up overtaxing yourself!”

Sonic moved out of the family embrace. “Wait! If you got my dad back to normal without killing him then you can do the same thing for Sal!”

“I know after everything you’ve already done it might sound selfish of us,” Queen Alicia said. “But please, restore our daughter I beg you!”

“Are you crazy?!” Sue snapped. “Our master is in no condition to…!”

“What Sue meant to say was you have to be patient,” said Lucian. “He needs to recover his strength. I think by tomorrow…”

“No,” said Charlemagne. “It has to be now, but not by me.” He turned to Sue. “But by you.”

Sue nearly dropped the Overlander, her expression panicked. “Me?! But I’ve never done anything like this, my specialty is healing not transmutation!”

“Wait am I hearing this right?” said Sonic. “You’re leaving something Naugus had to luck his way into to a second, no, third-stringer?!”

“I don’t get it myself,” said Jules. “When he made me flesh and blood again it was touch and go at times and I just had a bullet wound in my brain to contend with.  Sally, it looks like she was taken apart and had everything replaced.”

“Susan, you have far more talent for healing anyone I’ve ever seen. Lucian has had his test to become a full Ixis Wizard and succeeded, this is yours.”

“But Lucian has been training with you for much longer than I have! I’m not ready!”

“You don’t give yourself enough credit and more importantly much as the princess needs to be restored you know in your heart you need just as badly to be the one to do it.”

“You got this Sue,” said Lucian. “You’ve always been a quick study and if master believes you can do it then that’s all I need to hear.”

Sue took a long look at the crowd and for some reason her gaze lingered on Sally, Sonic, Tails, Amy, Antione and Bunnie. “All right, I accept. But can we do it somewhere I can feel the strength of the earth? I feel I’m going to need all the help I can get for this.”

“This is your test,” said Charlemagne. “How you proceed with it is up to you.”

 Sue turned to Sally. “…Princess, I would like us to head to somewhere with a good amount of soil or stone before we proceed.”

Cream stepped forward with Tails. “Um, there’s New Spring Park, it’s not far from here at all.”

Sue seemed to have an unusual smile. “Thank you and if you don’t mind me saying so, you both look cute together.”

Both fox and rabbit started blushing. “Uh thanks, but Mother and I both think I’m far too young for stuff like that.”

“And I’m too old for her,” said Tails. “I’m twelve and she’s seven.”

“Well wherever your hearts ultimately lead you,” Sue turned back to Sally. “If you are ready, we can go now.”

“Alright,” said Sally. “And no matter how this will end, thank you for trying.”


A short while later Sally and Sue were kneeling in the middle of a meadow. As Sally requested only the Freedom Fighters, her family and Lucian were allowed nearby. “Remind me why your buddy wanted to do this here?” Sonic asked.

Lucian nodded. “Usually an Ixis Wizard is attuned to one of the four elements; Wind, Water, Earth and Fire; more than the others. I’m attuned to Water, but Sue is more connected to Earth, she takes it a bit farther than normal though and sometimes almost completely buries herself. She says it calms her when nervous and helps her concentrate when surrounded by it.”

“But it doesn’t look like she’s even doing anything right now,” said Bunnie. “They’re just talking.”

“I wish we could hear what Zhey are saying,” said Antione.

Amy waved them down. “Wait, looks like she’s starting.”

Sue’s hands emitted a yellow glow as she stretched them towards Sally. Moment’s later rocks began to sprout up from the ground covering Sue.

“Don’t worry, that’s just how she likes to concentrate. Now she’ll get on the proper spell.”

The glow became brighter in moments green crystals began to form around the two girls.

“This isn’t good!” said Sonic.

“Wait sugah-hog,” said Bunnie. “I think she’s trying to recreate Naugus’ spell exactly. He changed crystal, not machinery.”

The light from within began to brighten, then dim only to brighten again.

“Zomething is wrong,” said Antione. “To either succeed or fail shouldn’t take zhis long.”

“I’m picking up some unusual readings,” Nicole said as Tails operated her handheld. “Whatever energy is in there it’s starting to build to explosive levels.”

“That’s it I’m going in!” Sonic said warming up. “A good Sonic Boost should shatter that thing!”

“But you could hurt Sally and Ms. de Nimh!” yelled Cream.

“Miss de Nimh?” Amy said confused.

“Well I didn’t know her well enough to just call her Sue right away without seeming rude, so I asked her if she had a last name and she told me her full name was Susan de Nimh.”

“Susan de Nimh,” Tails pondered. “Sue de Nimh.” Tails snapped his fingers. “Pseudonym! Her name is a play on words, Sue de Nimh is literally a fake name!”

“We left Sally’s fate in the hands of a faker?!” growled Sonic. He then pinned Lucian to the ground. “Ok magic boy, you might have bought that fake name at first, but your boss Charlie is way too smart to fall for something like that and he would have told you the first chance he got! Spill it, what are you guys up to?!”

“Lucian please!” cried Amy. “This is already looking bad for you, just tell us!”

“I can’t,” Lucian groaned as he began to tear up. “I promised Sue, she didn’t want anyone to know…”

“Know what?!”

Just then the sound of Sue’s screaming came from out of they crystal, at shortly after that Sally started to scream as well.

For the moment everyone’s attention was squarely on the giant green crystal. Except for Lucian everyone cried out the same thing. “SALLY!”

In a flash of blinding light, the crystal then shattered into fragments no bigger than a grain of sand. Once the light dimmed Sonic ran to where the two girls had knelt, all that could be seen was pile of green crystal shards. Sonic began digging through the gems and pulled someone out. It was Sally, the same as she looked before the long nightmare began, but her eyes were closed, and she wasn’t moving at all.

“Sally,” Asked Alicia. “is she…?”

Sonic put his ear near her mouth and then breathed a sigh of relief. “It’s ok, she’s just fast asleep.”

“Thank the Source,” sighed Max.

“Sue!” Lucian began to dig through the shards himself and pulled up the other girl. Everyone else either gasped or assumed a fighting stance. Sue’s face had drastically changed, her eyes now blue and unfocused, her fur had gone from a bluish black to red, her hair was now brown and tied into it was a yellow hair bow that removed any doubt as to who Sue de Nimh really was.

“Fiona Fox,” growled Sonic.

Amy conjured her hammer. “Lucian, what are you doing with that traitor? She left us for Sonic’s evil double, she helped Finitivus revive Enerjak, helped to nearly bomb Knothole; the closest thing she’s ever had to a home; she helped to conquer a world and she broke Tails’ heart! Just tell me you didn’t know…tell me you thought she was someone else completely…”

Lucian now had tears flowing down his cheeks freely. “Guess what, this traitor just cured your princess, not only that to do so she channeled her own lifeforce into that spell, she’s completely catatonic! She could have died, she might still die or never wake up again! For almost half a year I’ve seen her do nothing but heal people, worry over Master Charlemagne, and become like a sister to me and all she ever wanted for herself was to leave her past behind and become someone different! After all that Sonic can you honestly tell me, THAT YOU STILL THINK WE’RE THE BAD GUYS?!”

Amy looked between two blue quilled young men. “Sonic, she had to be lying to them, right?”

Sonic looked at the still slumbering form of Princess Sally Acorn who now seemed to be suffering from nothing worse than a pleasant dream. “…I just don’t know anymore.”

Chapter 5: Yellow Ribbons, Silver Linings and Dark Futures

Summary:

Sally recovers in from her de-roboticization in the hospital and with the Freedom Fighters deals with the fallout of her unlikely savior's identity. Meanwhile Silver has returned to his home 200 hundred years in the future only to find it no longer in ruin but under the control of a new threat and has to team with a new ally to find a way back to the past.

Notes:

AN: regular text in quotations are characters talking, Italics in quotations are personal thoughts and brackets {this kind} are thoughts being telepathically sent.

Chapter Text

Sally stirred hearing voices. The way her vison blurred, the ringing in her ears, the weight of the sheets and her old jacket and boots against her fur and skin all got one thought ringing through Sally’s head.

“It worked.”

Her vision and hearing were starting to clear up.

“…arguing about it now isn’t helping anyone,” said Rotor. “We can deal with the consequences once she wakes up.”

 “If she ever wakes up,” said Cream.

“Well, I am up,” Sally said. She moved to sit as she looked at the Freedom Fighters backs turned to her but that was fixed immediately.

“SALLY!”

She found herself in a big group hug with everyone, including Nicole’s projection.

“Sally-girl, we’re finally all back!” Bunnie cried.

“It felt like we haven’t been a team in forever,” said Tails.

“I came as soon as I heard the news,” said Rotor. “Man, I missed us.”

“It’s alright everyone,” said Sally. “And I don’t care about those consequences Rotor, we’ll face them together.”

The Antione looked embarrassed as the embrace ended. “You ‘eard that?”

“What’s wrong?”

Sonic took Sally’s hand. “Thing is we weren’t talking about you but your roommate.”

Sally turned and saw the vixen in the bed next to her. An IV was inserted into her right arm while pair of handcuffs connected her left wrist to the railing of the bed, her only reply a blank unfocused stare interrupted only by the occasional blink.

“Fiona…”

“Are the handcuffs really necessary?” said Lucian. “It’s not like she’s going anywhere,”

“It’s to remind the hospital staff that she iz a criminal who’s under arrest,” said Antione. “And with the charges against her zhis might be the most comfortable she’s going to be for a VERY long time.”

“Even though during Phantom Ruby War she probably healed dozens of with her magic?”

“That doesn’t erase what she’s done sugah,” said Bunnie. “She did betray the Freedom Fighters and the Kingdom.”

“I can add in one more name to that list of traitors, Sally Alicia Acorn!” Viktor’s words echoed in Sally’s thoughts.

“Then you better get a pair for me too,” said Sally.

“No, we’re not going through this again!” yelled Sonic “You weren’t in control of yourself for about half of that and even with the stuff you were that control program was messing up your thinking, Fiona doesn’t have any excuses. Yeah, I regret not being able to get her out of Robuttnick’s prison back in the day, but it was her choice to be evil, she could have just been angry.”

“Look, I appreciate that you’re all willing to just let it go for me and I know that right now you need me out here if we’re going to stand a chance at stopping Viktor before he starts this war all over again. But we are giving amnesty to legionnaires who are willing to repent, at the very least we should give Fiona the chance to defend herself. Before she attempted the spell, she apologized to me, said she was jealous of me having everything that she ended up losing and she wasn’t sure if she could put that aside. Of course, I didn’t know who she really was at the time, but while it was going on, I told tell a lot of the problems she was having was more about dealing something going on the inside, she figured out what to do very quickly.”

“Well like I said it’ll have to wait until if and when she regains consciousness,” said Rotor. “Doctor Quack told me that there’s nothing physically wrong with her, she’s just unresponsive. But then again, he told me he doesn’t know anything about this supernatural stuff so can you give us any details Lucian?

The Tenrec sighed. “She put her own lifeforce into the spell so she could maintain it while still dealing with those churning emotions. The two of you had it out for each other, didn’t you?”

Sally nodded. “I think she saw me as her rival, I was back with Sonic, she was with Scourge and we both let it get personal. I thought it was my fault for not finding out about her criminal past and letting her join in the first place. I wanted to kick her out as soon as she confessed it to us, but Sonic backed her at the time and I didn’t want to cause division in team. I know now realistically it probably would have just made her even more bitter.”

 “Well the last time we saw her she was getting the Destructix together to break Scourge out of the No Zone Prison,” said Sonic. “The next time we ran into the Destructix they we’re already brainboxed into being Infinite’s personal lackeys and both Scourge and Fiona were total no shows. What was her deal when you met her?”

Lucian shook his head. “A good bit of it is personal to her, I helped get her out of a bad spot she didn’t want to talk about afterward. But one thing I can tell you is that she remembered breaking out of the No Zone Prison and suddenly finding herself back here in the middle of the Great Desert wearing Scourge’s jacket, everything in between was a total blur except that her relationship with Scourge had ended, rather badly at that.”

“I’m not at all surprised,” said Tails. “The guy was a major creep and to think…”

“Something up buddy? Asked Sonic.

“You know after that last time we saw Fiona we were joking about Sally punching her, that I thought she should have slug her again the next time? Well eventually I kept thinking about getting payback. After you were captured by Infinite I got to a low point, I often had to go up against my own father more times than I care to remember, it seemed like I was losing everyone I cared about. That’s when I remembered a promise I made, I got the Auto-Fiona from that island, fixed her up and removed Robotnick’s programming that made her try to kill or roboticize me. Then I modified her body to be closer to my age, reactivated her and…I kept her in my hideout as a secret.”

“So, you got back together with a robot?”

“I thought that if I did, I’d have someone who loved me but wouldn’t leave or hurt me, someone better than the real Fiona turned out to be. After one particularly bad day I came back to my hideout in a terrible mood. Auto was being her usual loving cheerful self, but I just wanted to be alone. She tried to cheer me up but with everything that was happening... Then I didn’t see Auto, I saw the Fiona who hurt me, the one I still wanted to see get hurt and that feeling had festered into something ugly.”

Tails was now crying. “I snapped and started beating Auto! I kept going until my fists were bleeding and her metal covering started to show. The whole time she just kept repeating ‘I love you Tails’ like it was nothing, all because that was the last thing, I asked her to do. Once the pain in my hands made me stop and I saw what was happening, I realized what my resentment was turning me into. I made myself what I thought was the perfect girl only to end up acting no better than Scourge.”

“Oh, Tails,” Cream cried.

“Chao…” went Cheese.

“I fixed her up and changed how she looked again so she wasn’t a copy of Fiona. Then I reprogramed her to think and feel for herself, she even chose a new name herself, Faye. Faye stayed at Sunset Heights after the Resistance disbanded and while we write to each other, we’re just friends now, but I’d have understood if she didn’t want to even be that. Since then, I just wanted to be done with the whole thing, I didn’t care if Fiona was punished for what she did or not I just, never wanted to see her again.”

“I think that’s why everyone just wanted to move on after the war,” said Nicole. “It brought out the worst in a lot of otherwise good people and if we just held on to grudges, we risked becoming what we hated so much. We might not become friends with those who hurt us but at least we should stop letting what they did control our lives.”

“This is starting to get depressing,” said Sonic. “Come on Sal, your folks are out in the waiting room, and they have waited long enough as it is.”

“I have to check in on master too,” said Lucian. “Make sure he’s resting.” He turned back to Fiona and could have sworn he saw a single tear stream down her cheek. “Don’t worry, I’ll be back soon.”

As everyone left the guard for the room gave them a nod. “Looks like you didn’t need my help after all,” said a grey hedgehog who was leaning against the nearby wall.

Sonic nodded. “Silver, fancy seeing you here.”

“I heard about Sally being restored and seeing as that’s the case then my mission in this time is complete.”

“You’re leaving already?” asked Nicole. “Don’t you want to say goodbye to Elias, Larry, Lyco, Leeta, and Harvey and Sh…?” Nicole then looked sad.

“Don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll find Shard someday. In any case Elias has a lot on his mind with the summit and I’m anxious to confirm that the future’s changed for the better.”

“Who’s this guy?” Lucian asked. “He looks familiar to me for some reason.”

Amy smiled. “Lucian the Tenrec, this is Silver the Hedgehog, you probably saw him fighting with the Resistance on the news or something. He’s a psychic from two hundred years in the future and he was here to keep it from falling into ruin.”

“Apparently Aunt Sally being Roboticized had something to do with it,” said Tails. “But now that problem is fixed, he can go home,” said Tails.

“I actually feel like I hardly did anything,” said Silver. “You brought her back, I only helped you get close that one time.”

“Hey, you kept us alive through a lot of tight spots since then,” said Sonic. “And maybe you trying to help caused Eggman to slip up enough for us to be able to pull it off.”

“Honestly I don’t really care so long as my home time is peaceful and intact. I can tell you have somewhere to be, so I won’t hold you guys any longer.”

“Take care then,” said Sally.

“And when you get back to the future maybe crack open a history book and look us all up!” Rotor said with a laugh.

“I think I’ll probably do just that. Take care of yourselves and make your own futures.”

Silver then went down the hall in the opposite direction and up a staircase.

“How do you think he’s going to get back?” asked Tails.

“Probably in a way he doesn’t want us to know,” said Sonic. “Which is fine by me.”


A short time later the Freedom Fighters came into the waiting room. Sally ran straight over to her father, mother and brother, who had the sword of light firmly on his person, and they once more went into big hug. Sonic moved to be near his own family.

“Little Bean!” Max said. “Of everything that has happened today, seeing you safe and whole again beats everything!”

“Especially after all the hardship we went through in the last year,” said Elias.

“Well we definitely need to celebrate!” said Alicia who then turned to the others. “You’re all invited to dinner with us at the Royal Estate, that includes your families.”

“After all Sonic, your father has also returned in the same way,” said Max. “Only seems fitting we celebrate that too.” He then turned to Lucian. “You’re invited too of course and Charlemagne, I’d say he’s the guest of honor.”

Lucian looked down dejected. “With all due respect your highness, I don’t think my master or myself will be able to attend. I still must see if he’s recovered and even if he has, we’ll probably be watching over Fiona.”

The mood suddenly had gotten less jubilant. “I see, even on the off chance she made a speedy recovery and as much as she helped today given her past inviting her to the Royal Estate would be…inappropriate.”

“Nyet!” came a yell from an angry woman at the reception desk. It was a middle-aged vixen with white fur, a red dress and a gold locket being held back by an older rabbit wearing a councilor’s uniform with a white beard and moustache, a metallic arm and carrying a cane. “I don’t care if you are a Councilor, you von’t stand in my vay!”

“Listen here you hussy, that patient is off limits!” replied another vixen with brown fur and wearing a councilor’s uniform she was being held back a male fox with brown fur, wearing a military uniform and had a single red cybernetic eye, a leftover from his legionization months ago. “You try to barge in there you’ll have to check into this hospital!”

“Try it, I’ll show you how ve dealt vith presumptuous snobs back in Boreia!”

“Rosemary, control yourself!” said the Fox with the cybernetic eye.

“Natalia, please!” said the rabbit.

“Uncle Beau?” Bunnie said as she came over.

Tails followed closely after her. “Mom, Dad?”

Rosemary and Amadeus turned to their son as the general let go of his wife.

“Oh Tails, we’re glad to have you back,” said Rosemary. “Your mother just has to deal with a problem with Beauregard’s ‘friend’ over here before we can catch up.”

“Uncle Beau what in the name of Sam Hill is going on here?” asked Bunnie.

Just then a red furred fox wearing a brown bomber jacket came running to the white vixen’s side. “Sorry Natalia, the men’s room was a little crowded…” His gaze settled firmly on Rosemary and he immediately became exasperated. “Great, just what I needed…”

“Derrick?” asked Bunnie. “Derrick Fox? What are y’all doing where?”

“That’s what I want to know!” Rosemary fumed. Even during his parent’s attempted coup Tails never seen his mother so furious. “Over twenty years and somehow you still manage to give me a headache!”

“Mind filling in the peanut gallery?” asked Sonic.

Derrick wiped his face. “Right introductions. I’m Derrick Fox, I served under Councilor Rabbot during the Great War and as his Spymaster in the Great Desert chapter of the DEL. This is my wife Natalia, also a former DEL spy in the Great Desert chapter. Natalia, I would like you to meet Rosemary Prower, wife to war hero Amadeus Prower, mother to Freedom Fighter and hero Miles ‘Tails’ Prower and a member of Council of Acorn.” Derrick sighed. “She also happens to be my kid sister.”

“Wow Tails,” said Amy. “A Neo Walker for one uncle and a spy for another!”

“He forgot to add career criminal to that resume of his,” said Rosemary. “Tails honey, I wanted to wait until you were older to tell you this since it hasn’t affected you, but our kind, foxes that is, have had a reputation as thieves and charlatans for centuries. A reputation my side of the family seemed to revel in living down to.”

“That’s no excuse for thinking we weren’t good enough for you!” grumbled Derrick.

“You still haven’t explained why your wife was trying to get into the princess’ hospital room!” Rosemary turned to Sally. “I’m very happy to see you’re back with us, but I just hope you weren’t another one of my brother’s ‘henhouses’ as the family phrase for a mark goes.”

“Nyet,” Natalia said sadly. “Ve wanted to see the other patient.”

“Buy why would you want to see Fiona of all people?” asked Antoine.

“Wait a minute,” said Bunnie, the color starting to drain from her cheeks. “Derrick, your little girl, the one you told me about. She isn’t…”

Natalia opened the locket, inside was a picture of a younger Derrick and Natalia. The two of them were holding a three-year-old red furred fox cub with a yellow bow in her hair. The three were all smiling. “Da, Fiona is our malyshka (baby girl).”

Silence reverberated through the waiting room. “Wait a minute,” said Tails looking at Derrick aghast. “If Fiona is your daughter and you’re my mother’s brother than…I had a crush on my cousin!?”

Derrick and Natalia looked they each swallowed a bug. “What!?”

“In his defense,” said Sonic. “He first fell in love with an auto-automaton made to look like her, then I started dating the real one to keep his heart from getting crushed, only for it to happen anyway when she turned traitor and… I just made it sound ten times worse.”

Tails sank to his knees. “It’s a good thing I’m in a hospital, because I think I’m going to be sick.”


Two hundred years later, Silver strolled out of an alleyway. He looked around, it was more advanced and had new buildings, but it was still Freedom City. The thing that got to him the most was the people, no one was hiding, starving or otherwise fighting for survival.

“YES!” he shouted out which attracted the attention of the crowd, but he didn’t care.

Silver saw a terminal marked “public information” and tapped its screen. “Please state your request,” the terminal said with a chipper voice.

“I’d like to have the address of Edmund the Echidna or Mammoth Mogul.”

“Error: unable to read citizen id chip,” the terminal replied. “Request denied, please try again later.”

“Citizen id chip? Where do I get one of those?”

“Error: unable to read citizen id chip. Request denied, please try again later.”

“Never mind, I’ll ask a person for help.”

“Thank you for using Imperium Public Information Services. Your queries have been recorded as a matter of public record. For Security, for Destiny, for Eternity.”

Silver backed away from the machine. “Ok, that’s creepy.”

“You halt!” Silver turned expecting a fight but instead saw what looked like two humanoid robots towering over a snake boy. Every other Mobian Silver could see was hurrying away and doing their best to avoid looking at the scene. One robot snatched an old book from the snake’s hand and flipped through it in seconds. “Contraband, confirmed. You have been found in possession of subversive material, a class B criminal act.”

“Ssssssssubversssssssive?” hissed the snake. “I didn’t know, I jussssssst picked it up next to that crumbling old library, I didn’t even read it.”

 “Initiating scan,” said the second bot. “Bio-scans indicate a truthful testimony. Citizen id chip confirmed, GPS functional. Eric Rattler, Age: nine, Occupation: student, Familial background check: third great aunt twice removed convicted of a class C criminal act. Recommended protocol: apprehend for further questioning.”

The bots picked up the snake. “Quesssssstioning? But my parentssssssss are expecting me for dinner!”

“Hey put him down!” yelled Silver. “You’re arresting a kid for having a book he didn’t read because some relative he almost definitely never met committed a different crime?!”

“This doesn’t concern you citizen,” said the robot. “Move along.”

“Sorry, but bullies messing with kids is my concern! He even co-operated and told you the truth so there’s nothing to question! You’re taking this too far!”

“Pleassssssssse!” said the snake boy. “I’ll never pick up sssssstrange books again!”

“Re-evaluating,” said the first bot. “Standby.”

{You’re putting yourself in danger Silver.} Silver heard an unfamiliar voice echo in his mind. {Get out of there now and don’t say anything to me, think it!}

“How’d you know my name? Whatever, I’m not leaving this kid in the hands of these metal goons, whoever you are,” Silver thought.

“Re-evaluation complete,” said the robot. “Legacy statute applicable.” The bot put the snake down. “You have been issued your first warning, you will not be given another.”

The snake boy started to slither away but turned to Silver. “Thanksssss Missster.”

Silver crossed his arms. “I hope you bots learned a valuable lesson in…”

“Initiating scan,” said the bots said.

“Wait what?”

{You just had to go and play the hero! When I tell you close your eyes, then get ready to run like Sonic!}

“Citizen id chip absent, a class A criminal act.” The bot droned.

“But I just got here,” said Silver. “I haven’t had the time to get a citizen whatever!”

“Logical error, citizen id chips are required by law to be implanted at birth. Absence of chip indicates you either illegally removed your chip or required implantation at birth was not performed.”

“Ok, the second one.”

{Please just shut up!}.

I am not having an argument with a mystery voice in my head!”

{Whatever, just be ready to close your eyes and run!}

“Confession recorded,” droned the bot. “Failure to report absence of chip after age eight is condoning the original criminal act. You have been found guilty of a class A felony. Surrender peacefully or use of force will be authorized!”

“You won’t be the first bots I’ve scrapped!” Silver began to levitate.

“Chaos energies detected, verbal threat recorded. Criminal offense upgraded to class S, protocol: termination!” The bot’s arms changed to guns and charged up.

{Close them now!}

Silver saw a small ball roll at his feet, closing his eyes just fast enough to avoid being blinded by the light it flashed. He heard the bots clank down into a heap.

“We don’t have much time!” he heard the voice, now not in his head, as a hand grabbed his wrist. “They’ll reboot in a minute, run!”

Silver levitated as he opened his eyes to see he was being pulled by a gold colored girl who looked very similar to a hedgehog with long golden hair and blue eyes with blue markings along the edge. She wore a brown colored sari with blue and gold markings along the edges, a tuff of light gold fur on her chest peeked from behind her sari. Her most notable feature was a yellow marking on her forehead that looked like an incomplete circle with a dot in the middle that reminded Silver of the markings on his hands.

“Who are you?” Silver asked.

{Hang on a second.} She brought Silver into an alley, her head marking glowed and she touched Silver’s forehead.

{There, I linked our minds together. Now you can speak to me with telepathy, it should be faster than the way we have been talking, we can keep it up if we must separate and most importantly no one can listen in on the link, the Imperium has eyes and ears everywhere. Now we got to move!}

The two began heading down the alleyways, Silver tried to use the mental link. {Ok, this is cool. But who are you?”}

{The short answer is Gold the Tenrec, as for the rest I can tell you once we get to home base. Edmund sent me to bring you back there.}

{Then I must have gotten it wrong again, Sally wasn’t the traitor.}

{No, your mission was successful, but there was someone behind the scenes, someone who can manipulate time itself. While you prevented the destruction Mecha Sally would have ultimately caused this interloper then created their own future in its place, one where the Mobius Imperium has nearly conquered the whole galaxy. Mobius went from a world that was dying to one that is now considered to be the source of all evil in the universe.}

{And how do you know this? I have problems keeping my own memories straight when history is changed. Come to think of it usually my memories should have adjusted by now, what’s wrong?}

{First off, I’m primarily a telepath. I can read minds, send people thoughts and images, influence their thoughts on a limited basis, teleport short distances and use telekinesis on small objects. I was able to psychically make my mind tamper-proof, unless a change in history has a direct effect on me, I can remember previous timelines. I’ll do the same to you once we reach home base and introduce you to the Final Freedom Fighters.}

{Final Freedom Fighters?}

{I’ll explain later. As for your memoires I think our Interloper is to blame, whoever he or she is doesn’t seem to use typical time travel. Master Mogul and I can remember the last timeline because of my Memory Ward, but I won’t risk using it too much or we might attract our opponent’s attention.}

Suddenly monitors throughout the city turned on. Gold had a look of disgust on her face. {And here’s the Superior Council to give the people their daily dose of propaganda. We should have a clear opening while it’s going.}

The monitors shown an image of a Mobian masked and shadowed in such a way as to make telling their species and gender impossible. “People of Mobius,” the figure said in a distorted voice. “Tomorrow marks the thousand-year anniversary of when Mobians had finally thrown off the oppressive yolk of humanity that had enslaved us for centuries…”

 {No way that’s right.} Silver thought to Gold. {Two hundred years ago humans had only come out of hiding recently, sure there were wars between Mobians and Overlanders but we were never totally enslaved by them except for Robotnick and that only lasted a decade.}

{The Imperium writes all the history books. In a way it’s worse than having to scavenge what you can from the ruins, they left just enough truth to make picking it apart from the lies almost impossible.}

{Master Mogul was there though, he should be able to remember something thanks to you.}

{There’s a problem with that, Master’s power is on its last legs, he’s dying. It might even already be too late.}

“…and with the annexation of Vactalon the Imperium has now secured peace for over 98% of the galaxy. Most importantly chaos spire seven in the Gargantua sector will be operational for tomorrow’s festivities."

Gold stopped in her tracks. {No! Now they only need to get our Chaos Emerald to carry out whatever their real objective is! They’ll be focusing all their efforts on finding home base now! We must get underground before the broadcast is finished!}

“And that is the state of affairs in the Imperium, galactic peace will soon be assured forever. For Security, For Destiny, For Eternity!”

Silver and Gold crossed into an area that was marked for demolition. {We’re almost there. Silver, we just have to…}

The thought was interrupted by a shadow that blocked out the sun above them. They turned to see a Mobian Bat swooping down. The bat was defiantly male but the black helmet and jumpsuit he wore made finding anything else about him impossible. The bat landed in front of the path they were on and started walking toward them menacingly taking some sort of dart from his belt.

Gold froze in horror. {A rectifier! The most elite Imperium soldier feared across hundreds of worlds! We got to double back and…}

Once they turned around another rectifier, a female hedgehog, came around a corner blocking their path. She took out a tube from her belt that extended into a staff and begun to spin it around like a Kung Fu master.

Silver began to levitate some debris nearby him. {Ok, Gold if we work together, we can take them down.}

{With one rectifier we might have stood a chance to escape, two it’s going to take a miracle!}

A nearby wall crumbled, a burly male echidna rectifier stepped through. His fists then lit up with a pair of energy blades appearing inches from his knuckles.

{Let me guess,} thought Silver. {Three there’s no point?!}

The elite soldiers moved closer. “Preparing to rectify.”


Meanwhile back in 3238 P.X.E. The freedom fighters were sitting across from Derrick and Natalia Fox in the hospital waiting room. Sally looked at them somberly. “I won’t mince words, despite what she did for me Fiona is in a whole lot of trouble. If you want there to be leniency for your daughter, then it would help if you told us your side of the story.”

“She felt everyone abandoned her,” said Sonic. “Including the two of you and that’s making me ask, where were you?”

Derrick took a deep breath. “I guess we better start when the two of us first met. Rosemary is right, I was a thief and conman by trade. I always had this knack for reading people and I used it to figure out their defenses, either in their thinking or how they guarded their valuables. But I still wanted the big score, one that would set me up for life. So, I planned to steal this huge diamond from Don Fang.”

“Who?” asked Sally.

“Before the Great War he was pretty much the name in organized crime on Mobius, thought it would give me some security, a big crook like that wouldn’t admit he was robbed himself. I was just at the diamond when I ran into this beautiful snowflake that had the same idea I did.”

“My specialty is electronics,” said Natalia. “Alarms, Security Cameras, I can rework or shutdown any of them. That diamond vas supposed to set me up for a new life after leaving Boreia, a very cold land east of Mercia. Ve started to argue over whose diamond it vas and ended up making more noise than any thief should.”

“It was then that Don Fang came out in his pajamas with his wife, her hair in curlers and holding a pair of screaming weasel babies.”

“I don’t vhink he liked his children that much, who names their twins Nic and Nack?”

Sonic shifted in his seat. “We ran across both of them, sounds like the apples didn’t fall that far from the tree.”

Derrick laughed. “Anyway, Don Fang starts asking what was going on, we each said the other was trying to steal the diamond then he took out a tommy gun and tried to shoot both of us.”

“He might have done it if his wife didn’t start yelling at him about the gun scarink her babies,” said Natalia. “Ve continued our argument while ve made our escape and ve each felt the other owed us help on future heists.”

“A few months later and we were before a judge.”

“Like I knew you’d be someday,” huffed Rosemary.

Derrick shot his sister an annoyed glance. “Getting married, we made such a good team we each decided if we wanted to live the good life, we wanted it to be together. We ran a few more jobs and schemes but then a couple of things happened to us. The first was us getting caught as the Great War kicked off and forced into military service as a sentence, more importantly Fiona was born.”

“Before we vanted to have lives of ease and luxury vith each other, but once ve saw her she became everythink for us, ve just wanted to give her the vorld.”

“At least we did until I spied on Jedidiah and Suzanne Rabbot. I couldn’t wrap my head around it at first, they were loaded but they risked everything to betray us all just to get back at the royal family over something that happened generations ago. I thought they were just plain nuts, until I saw how they were with you Bunnie. They loved you so much, but I saw they wanted to pass their bad values on to you. When the whole mess was over it made me revaluate my priorities as a father. I was trying to get my family to live the good life when the three of us together WAS the good life. Natalia and I talked things over after that.”

“Ve vanted nothink but the best for Fiona, but ve never thought about what the best really vas before, I became convinced that Fiona needed more than things to have a happy life, so once Derrick’s tour vas over ve gave up our lives of crime. I started working to repair things instead of short circuit them and Derrick became a bartender, it vasn’t glamorous but it vas enough to get Fiona into preschool. She vas so timid back then, afraid that if she vas avay from us for too long she’d never see us again. So, I gave her a yellow ribbon I had, tied a bow into her hair and told her it vas magik, that as long as she wore it ve would always be able to find her.”

“She still wore it,” said Sonic. “Even when she ditched us for Scourge and went into the whole bad girl look, she still kept that bow. She probably would have just told us that it was to remind herself that ‘you can’t count on anyone’ but maybe deep down she was still hoping you’d find her. So, I must ask again, where were you?”

The two foxes began to cry. Derrick looked at Rosemary. “When the war ended, I felt we needed more stability than we had, I heard that by then you were married and were expecting your own baby. We were planning on moving to Mobotropolis and even if we never got rich, Fiona have enough family to support her, but that never happened.”

“Robotnick,” growled Sally.

“That day we were at work and Fiona was at kindergarten, we didn’t know when we dropped her off that morning that we wouldn’t see her again for thirteen years. The bots rounded up the whole town, Fiona and a few kids were sent off to we didn’t know where but for me, Natalia and everyone else, straight into the roboticizer.”

“I vas assigned maintenance work for Robotnick’s operations over in Boreia,” said Natalia. “Derrick I found later vas sent to mine ore in some Source forsaken pit. That vas all ve really knew or did for ten years, for a time we were mindless drones lashing out at any who came near but then ve vere taken away to be slaves again. After you gave us our free vill back we quietly slipped avay. We thought we had lost everythink, our daughter vas gone and even if by some miracle she vas alive if she vould see us she’d only see two of the monsters that tore her innocence apart. Ve…decided to wander out and wait until our batteries ran out.”

“Then the Bem changed us back, we thought it was a miracle. We swore then and there that we’d get our little girl back. But our old home was destroyed, we had no clue where to go from there. But we buckled down, took whatever odd jobs we could and through it all we kept an ear out for Fiona and at long last our hard work paid off, but then we made our worst decision ever.”

Natalia began sobbing. “Ve learned Fiona became a Freedom Fighter, ve vere so proud but thought if it came out that her parents vere thieves, you’d throw her out. So ve kept silent, swept up any trail that could lead back to us and prayed we’d never met again. But then one day, ve found out she ran off with that podonok (scumbag) Scourge! It just kept getting vorse after that, she vas hated by everyone and I knew if ve had at least let her know her parents vere alive and still loved her… she vouldn’t have ruined her life!”

“Nothing mattered to us after that, with on idea what to do and nowhere else to turn we eventually went to my old CO Colonel Rabbot.”

“And that in turn led you to joining the Dark Egg Legion with me,” sighed Beauregard.

“In order to spy on the Sand Blasters, we were loaned enough money to start up a business in Sand Blast City, the Mirage Saloon & Ice Cream Parlor. Not only did we get good info from drunk Sand Blasters but in time we started turning a profit. Even when following orders for the DEL we were just going through the motions we didn’t really care, not about who would win the war, not whatever punishment we could face, nothing. When Bunnie came to be legionized, I felt I could at least do something for her that I was never able to do for my own daughter, make my life worth SOMETHING but I almost destroyed your own relationship with the two people who were more of a mother and father to you than anyone!”

“Y’all…” Bunnie began. “Y’all was just trying to tell me the truth, ah was the one who got madder than a hornet’s nest.”

“Da thank you,” said Natalie. “At first, ve just did our duty and ran the saloon, but one day Fiona just valked in off the street. Ve almost didn’t recognize her but once ve saw that bow…it vas like that old yellow ribbon really did have magik and it brought our malyshka back to us! She collapsed from shock and thirst, ve gave her vater and stayed at her side until she voke up.”

“She was suspicious of us at first, but we gave her a place to hide,” said Derrick. “And with some fur and hair dye and a pair of contact lenses, Sue de Nimh was our new waitress. In time we opened to her and she opened to us. First, she thought about the three of us pulling heists again, but we put a stop to that by saying how proud we were when she was a Freedom Fighter, that was the real turning point. She began to be less like the criminal she was and more like the little girl we remembered. But then came our second biggest mistake, my legionization gave me a cybernetic ear, but it started going on the fritz and instead doing the smart thing and have Mrs. Rabbot fix it Natalia and I thought she could do it in the saloon after dark. So, there we were, my left ear detached and Natalia jabbing at the place where it was with a screwdriver when Fiona came downstairs and caught us red handed.”

“She vas furious!” cried Natalia. “Said ve sold out for all intents and purposes to the same man who ripped our family apart to begin vith! She thought the whole vorld was out to get her and…she vished she never got out of that horrible cell! Ve couldn’t lose her again so ve told her ve’d go with her, abandon the DEL and live a life thievery once more as a family. But ve vere so desperate we forgot, the cherry bombs inside us, they vent off.”

It seemed everyone gasped in terror. “How did any of you survive?” asked Amadeus.

“Because of me,” said Lucian. Everyone turned to him in surprise. “Master Charlemagne sensed a great magical potential there and sent me to find it. My future vision saw what was going to happen and I rushed in and conjured a wall of ice between Fiona and her parents before the bombs went off. Once she got over the shock, she rushed over to the two of you and began to take back everything she said. Master popped in then and said she could save you both, he awakened her latent power and almost on instinct she began healing their wounds. Master had to give her extra power exhausting himself again, but she was able to save them, but only what was still organic.”

“We hugged for what felt like hours,” said Derrick. “But we had to get back to the settlement to get replacement parts, preferably without explosives this time. Lulumae fixed us up but Eggman paid us a visit and the next thing we knew…”

“The whole chapter was brainboxed,” said Bunnie. “Including me.”

“Fiona joined me and Master after that,” said Lucian. “She said actually feeling the earth through her magic gave her a peace she had never known before, but she wanted to find you both again and free you from Eggman’s control.”

“Vell we vere,” said Natalia. “By a Monkey Khan over in the Dragon Kingdom. Then after scraping enough money together ve came to Freedom City to start the search over and, vell you know the rest.”

“King Elias, I beg you,” said Derrick. “We just want to be a family again. If you and the council can find it in your hearts to pardon her crimes, we will take full responsibility for anything else she does.”

Elias sighed. “I may have the final say, but I have to trust Sally’s judgement on this. She has more experience with Fiona than the rest of us.”

“Before I was roboticized I would have said ‘lock her up and throw away the key’,” said Sally. “But I’ve now been where she was, if I did that and let my own actions go unpunished, I’d be a hypocrite. At the same time however I must put the Republic’s safety first so I can’t let her go without hearing her defense in her own words. I must know if she’s truly repentant, how far she’s willing to go to make amends. My recommendation is to have her monitored once she has recovered until a full trial can take place. She’ll have to wear a tracking anklet and let us know where she is at all times, she also can’t leave Freedom City until then.”

“I have my own conditions,” said Rosemary.

“Mom! She’s family!” said Tails. “I know she hurt me, but you don’t just give up on family! There were plenty of good reasons for me to be mad at her, but not for not loving me, I want us to apologize to each other and let the hurting finally stop.”

Rosemary surprisingly smiled at her son. “Tails, you were lucky. If it weren’t for Rosie and Julayla you might have ended up like Fiona or so many other children who grew up doing something desperate to survive what no child should have gone through. That was the most important reason why the council gave amnesty to former legionnaires and I think Fiona is no less deserving of the same chance.”

Rosemary then turned to her brother and his wife. “My conditions however are about the two of you being responsible for Fiona until the trial. Your story tells me you’ve changed Derrick, so I’m willing to give you both the same chance, but like every former legionnaire you must earn reconciliation. You’ll have to take up residence in the city while she’s being monitored and you’ll both need to find jobs, REAL JOBS, so you can support her until a decision is made.”

“Ve could open another ice cream parlor,” said Natalia. “Since the last one got blown up.”

“And until you can get a place of your own…” Rosemary sighed. “I suppose you could stay with us.”

“The rest will have to be handled by the court,” said Elias. “But until then, just go and be with your daughter. Who knows, it just might be the thing she needs to wake up.”

The two foxes got up tears in their eyes. “Thank your majesty, I promise Fiona will make up for everything if we have to drag her kicking and screaming to do it.”

“Come Darlink,” said Natalia. “Our Malyshka is waiting!”

The two ran off to Fiona’s room.

“Your Majesty, Councilors!” shouted a guard. “An emergency session of the council’s been called! You all have to get to the Rotunda at once!”

“That’s impossible!” said Bernadette. “Only King Elias can call an emergency session!”

“That’s not technically correct ma’am. The Interim King does have the power, but this session was called by the sitting king’s selected regent. Geoffrey St. John, he’s returned.”

Sonic groaned. “We saved Sally, unleashed a new Robotnick, dealt with wizards, got all touchy feely about a possibly repentant traitor and now Stinky is back, haven’t we had enough drama for one day?”


In the year 3438 P.X.E. Silver and Gold stood back to back against the three rectifiers. {I’ve failed,} thought Gold. {They usually send a squad of three to take on armies!}

{You said you have some mind control power,} Silver thought as he sent the debris to the hedgehog rectifier who deflected each projectile with her staff. {Can’t you get them to stop or attack each other or something?}

Gold levitated some small stone towards the other two who didn’t even slow down. {I can only make people do small things like push a button or look away, and even if I could do more rectifiers are trained to resist psychic influences! It’s hopeless!}

{We can’t give up! My future was just saved from destruction, I won’t abandon it to some tyrants!}

The Rectifiers then rushed into attack, suddenly they twitched as they were each struck by some sort of static pulse and fell to the ground. Silver saw an old human woman with thick glasses and white hair pulled into a bun holding a rifle with a tesla coil for a barrel that was smoking along the whole line of the weapon.

“Dr. L!” shouted Gold.

“Hurry!” The woman said throwing the rifle to the ground. “Their nervous systems will shake it off in a couple of minutes, this piece of junk just gave up the ghost and more rectifiers are on their way!” The old woman kicked a nearby wall and a secret door appeared. “Get in now! If we’re lucky it might take them a bit to find our exact location.”

Gold and Silver followed Dr. L into the tunnel, the door closed right behind them. “Thanks,” said Silver. “So, who are you?”

The old woman gave a grim laugh. “Well as Gold here said I go by Dr. L but the precise answer? You’re looking at the last human being in the entire universe, pretty good since to the average Imperium citizen we’ve been extinct for centuries.”

Silver growled. “Doctor Eggman was taken out for good, Mobius was at peace, how could this have happened?!”

“If you want what answers we can give just pay attention, we’re here.” The three came into a moldering room with computer banks, old books and a small armory, along one wall was some very old memorabilia and pictures of people Silver knew as Freedom Fighters. “Welcome to the home base of the Final Freedom Fighters.”

“Why Final?” Silver asked with a chill. “Isn’t there any other opposition to the Imperium left?”

“Not on this planet, for generations now Mobians just took the Imperium having absolute control as a fact of life. On other planets, the Imperium’s drones have them so overwhelmed the only practical form of resistance is hiding.”

“If we fail,” said Gold. “Then freedom for this world and every other in the galaxy will die forever.”

A red human sized robot with a pair of metallic wings and a single visor like eye came in front of them. It had a faded emblem on its chest of a black gear with metal dragon wings and a lightning bolt through the hole in the middle. “Gold, Dr. L, I see your mission has been successful.”

“This is Red Knight,” said Dr. L. “One of Viktor Robotnik’s creations that we repurposed to aide us.”

“Viktor Robotnik?” asked Silver.

“He should have just started his own plots when you left,” said Red Knight. “You haven’t heard of him?”

“I…was too anxious to get back home to ask Sonic or the others what was up, I’m starting to regret it.”

“No time for regrets Silver,” said an old bearded Echidna who hobbled in on a cane. “You both have a lot of work to do.”

“Edmund!” Silver gave a big hug to the centennial Echidna. “I’ve never been so happy to see you sourpuss!”

“Well I see your tendency to rush in hasn’t changed, maybe combined with Gold’s caution to the point of timidity you can even each other out a bit. Not that the advice of someone who never fulfilled his dream of being a guardian can help you.”

“The Imperium must have screwed things over more than I thought,” said Silver. “You considered yourself a guardian, if a failed one.”

“In those timelines, you knew who your parents were Edmund,” said Gold. “That’s what I remember at least. I’d like to do the same to Silver, but first how about Master Mogul?” asked Gold. “Is he?”

“He’s alive, but I don’t think he’ll be that way for long. The sad sack of lies…wanted to see both of you as soon as possible.”

“Whatever he has to say he better say it fast,” said Doctor L. “We’ll have rectifiers beating down our door within the hour.”

“I’ll buy you time,” said Red Knight as the robot moved to the door, His left arm extended a shield and his right changed shape to become a lance.

“No, we need you to protect Mogul and the Chronos Gate. We have a few automated defenses left, you’re better off as our last line.”

“This way,” gestured Edmund.

Silver and Gold were led through a curtain to another room, along one wall was a strange gate looking device on the other was the aged form of Master Mogul. Mogul used has trunk to cover a cough. “Gold, Silver, you came back for however short a time we have.”

Sliver sat down before Mammoth. “Master, Gold filled me in on the important parts, I succeeded but it doesn’t mean anything if the Imperium wins!”

“To think after so many false leads and accusations, your success fell apart because of one interloper who uses time as if it was its own personal plaything.”

“Tell me who this interloper is, I’ll make them regret ever messing with our home!”

“My…memory is no longer clear on anything but my own actions. I…might have even helped the interloper I can’t recall. But there is one hope left. We don’t have a who, but we do have a what. We know what the true birth of the Mobius Imperium was, during the very year you left.”

Mammoth turned on a display. Old video footage shown Princess Sally crying as she cradled Sonic. The hero had a twisted, sharp piece of black metal piercing his heart.

“Sonic,” Sally cried from the video. “No. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!”

Sally’s shrieks of mourning were silenced when the video was turned off. “We have no context for this image,” Mammoth said. “It might have been her grief that turned the Freedom Fighter into the mother of the world’s woes, or she was innocent, and it was simply his absence that allowed another tyrant to take power. Whatever the case the Imperium was born the day when Sonic the Hedgehog died.”

“So, I don’t need to find a traitor or interloper or whatever,” said Silver. “I just have to keep Sonic alive through whatever this creep did or stop it from happening and the Imperium will never exist!”

“Now you are thinking like a Knight of Chronos.”

Silver rose to his feet. “I’m ready for you to send me back!”

“Alas, I no longer have the ability to do so.”

“Then if you really think I am a Knight of Chronos now, give me a time stone and I’ll use Chronos Control myself!”

“That is not possible either, the Imperium controls all the time stones. But we do have one final option, the Chronos Gate.” Mogul pointed to the device on the opposite side of the room. “We just have to power it with the Chaos Emerald we have, and you can use it to go back to the very day you left.”

“What are we waiting for let’s fire this puppy up!”

“First there are still things you must know. To understand them, Gold attune and protect his memories.”

Gold held her hand before Silver as the marking on her head glowed tears started messing with her eye markings. “Gold, why are you crying?”

“Not everything you’ll now remember will be good, but despite that these are tears of joy.”

Gold touched Silver’s forehead as memories flooded his mind. A second later looked to Gold with a new feeling of warmth and familiarity.

Gold wiped away her tears with a smile. “Welcome back, brother!”

“You, you’re my twin sister.” Silver and Gold hugged each other fiercely. “I HAVE A SISTER!”

“A sister who will go with you on this task,” said Mogul. “But there is one catch to the Chronos Gate and now you can remember when this century was ravaged by Iblis you know what that is.”

“I remember now,” said Silver. “We were found among the ruins along with Blaze when the three of us were babies. Master Mogul trained us to stop the Iblis Trigger and Gold was sent first.”

“I tried to use Chronos Control, but something went wrong,” said Gold. “I ended up in another zone in our present. It took me months, but I found a way back only to find history was changed twice over, you were off in the past and Blaze, my best friend was gone.”

“She erased herself to seal Iblis…But Solaris was erased from time…and Blaze is alive!”

“What?!” Gold gasped tears of joy flowing again.

“She ended up in the Sol Dimension, she was a princess there and a high priestess, but we didn’t remember each other. Her kingdom is now part of Mobius Prime, she’s back in this zone in the past!”

“And for your task you’ll have to recruit her to your cause,” said Mammoth. “But now you understand what became of her you also understand the price the Chonos Gate requires for its toll. Blaze was cut off from this timeline and zone, her fate was permanently attached first to the past of the Sol Zone and now the past of this zone and the same will be true of you both. The gate is a one-way ticket, once you pass through you might be able to come back to this time but you will forever be anchored to that one and must return, the only permanent way to go to the future by making it become the present.”

“But this was the only home we’ve ever had!” said Gold. “It was never a good home, but at least we had each other.”

“It’s ok Gold,” said Silver. “The Freedom Fighters and other people there will embrace us, we’ll just have to build our own futures now.”

“There is one other task for the three of you,” Mogul sighed. “I have…

Suddenly the whole room shook, as seconds later Edmund came in. “The rectifiers have found us! They’ve broken through the first line!”

“How many?” Gold asked shaking.

“From what we can tell, all of them and that’s just the tip of the iceberg. The big cheese is here, Superior Prime!”

Gold looked down in despair. “No one knows who he or she is, just that it’s the title of the leader of the Superior Council and by extension the Mobius Imperium.”

“Then I must give you your instructions through telepathy, as well as the final truth I must give you.” said Mogul he grabbed both Silver and Gold’s heads has his hands glowed. “As I told you once before Silver, I have made mistakes, some of them grave, but there is one that while I can’t say I regret for the good that came out of it, it is the only one I am ashamed of. I am sad to say it will be done soon after you arrive, the Interloper will probably try to stop it to foil the three of you, but It must happen or else everything you have done to save this future will be undone.”

Mogul let go of Silver and Gold, the Hedgehog and Tenrec looked at their hands anxiously. Silver then turned to the former wizard and crime boss with anger burning in his eyes. “That, that is our true origin!? You expect us to tell Blaze that!? You expect us to sit back and JUST LET IT HAPPEN?!”

“Mammoth what have you done!?” growled Edmund. Home base shook again.

“I do not expect forgiveness,” said Mogul. “Only understanding about why this tragedy must happen despite the pain it will cause the good that resulted far outweighs it.”

Gold snarled. “There was no way for you to have known that you, YOU MONSTER!”

“You were the closest thing the three of us had to a father.” Silver said with contempt. “But now, I don’t want to have anything to do with you! Fine, we’ll play along but once it’s over and done with, the only future I’ll have is one without you. The future I’ll share with Gold and Blaze, because for right now they’re the only family I have left, all because of you!”

The pain on Mogul’s face was clear, but so was resignation. “As long as this world survives, that is all that matters. Even if you don’t want it, take my last gift to Mobius. I am proud of you three, the brightest part of a very long life.”

Master Mogul pulled the robe off his chest revealing the white Chaos Emerald. He placed his hand on the gem and with all his might pulled until it became free and the moment it was Mammoth Mogul had taken his last breath.

Edmund took the gem from Mogul’s dead hand. “I’ll use this to power the Chronos Gate, it should only take a few seconds…”

A large explosion rocked the base, suddenly Dr. L came in from the next room. “The last line has been breached! They’re coming!”

Red Knight blocked the doorway with its body. “They won’t get past me! Hurry! The echidna female leading the rectifier charge won’t see this coming.”

Once the emerald was attached to the Gate Edmund stood beside Red Knight. “Wait, people say that the last guardian was made into one of the first rectifiers centuries ago. A lie, but one I want to avenge.”

“This is foolish, you’ll just get yourself killed proving nothing.”

“Listen to him Edmund!” Silver yelled.

“Blast it!” said Dr. L as she took over operating the Chronos Gate. “I spent years putting this thing together, guess I’ll have to give it my blood too.”

“Please Silver,” The old echidna turned with a pleading look. “Just this once, let me be a guardian.”

“Done, it’s powering up!”

The Chronos gate shone the light of the white emerald as the portal opened.

Red Knight was thrown against the wall by a female echidna rectifier with spiked knuckles. Its shield was heavily dented, the lance snapped in half and the visor eye shattered.

Edmund charged the female echidna. “For Angel Island!”

The rectifier uppercut the elderly echidna with an electrically charged punch that threw him against the ceiling, when he landed there was blood on the ceiling and floor. The masked echidna looked down on the elder.

“Rectified.”

Silver cried out in rage. “Murderer!”

“This is your only chance!” yelled Dr. L. “Go now!”

{Brother,} Silver felt Gold’s hand against his shoulder. {It’s time to go.}

With a growl Silver took Gold’s hand and the two leapt through the Chronos Gate, the next second the gate closed behind them.


The sun was starting to set when the portal opened in the year 3238 P.X.E. Gold and Silver landed in a heap on the roof of King Fredrick Memorial Hospital. Silver got up and looked around. “This is where I left this time, though I guess it’s our time now.”

Gold looked over the city. “A lot of it looks the same, but it doesn’t feel like Imperium Center.”

Silver stood next to the twin he only moments ago realized he had, but now remembered fondly. “Because that’s not its name now, this is Freedom City.”

Gold nodded. “Then we have to keep it that way. First order of business is finding Sonic so we can keep an eye on him, then we have to find Blaze and wait for the right moment to recruit her.”

“Sonic has to know, he’ll probably doubt me and get mad that we have to babysit him, but I’m used to him not liking me by now.”

“Time’s going to be against us, we only have till the end of the year to stop whoever this interloper is.”

“We better get started then.”

The two moved downstairs and found themselves passing the same hallway Silver met Sonic at earlier.

“Mom! Dad!”

Silver turned and looked through the window in the door he heard the yell coming from. Inside a trio of foxes were hugging.

“Fiona!” the only male in the room said.

“My Malyshka!” the white furred female said.

Fiona was bawling her eyes out. “You came for me, you really came for me!”

“It’s alright, Fiona,” her father said. “You can get a second chance, we can start over again, as a family.”

Fiona continued to cry. “Oh Daddy. For the first time in so very long, I feel like the future’s bright.”

Silver clenched his fist. “No, it isn’t bright at all. But it will be if we have anything to say about it!”

Chapter 6: That Old Black Magic

Summary:

As a crisis begins to loom over who is the rightful king of the Republic Geoffrey considers rebellion, The Freedom Fighters get revelations and advice during dinner, a certain mongoose gets an unexpected phone call and Silver warns Sonic the future depends on his survival.

Chapter Text

Sonic threw the doors to the central chambers of the Council Rotunda open and stormed in angrily. As Sally, Elias, Rosemary, Beauregard and Bernadette up tried to keep pace behind him, with the rest of the Freedom Fighters taking up the rear. Up ahead Isabella Mongoose had already taken a seat on the council podium along with two new councilors Sonic didn’t recognize. One was a black goat with tiny glasses on the bridge of his nose and a long grey beard, the other was a predominately white tomcat with a patch of brown fur over his left ear and a patch of black fur over his right, he had blue and yellow heterochromatic eyes he was using to glare at Sonic and the person on the council floor.

Geoffery St. John had his typical belt and harness, dark green scarf, purple gloves; the right of which had a wrist mounted crossbow; and a smug look that said he owned the place. He turned his attention to everyone coming in. “Ah now everyone is here, including the hero of the hour, and seemingly every hour.”

“Now if only you weren’t,” Sonic grumbled.

Geoffrey ignored the comment. “Alright let’s get to brass tacks, I called this meeting to officially resume my position as regent.” He turned to Elias who was climbing up to his seat along with the rest of the council. “I forgive that you stepped in during my absence and thank you for keeping my seat warm, but I’ll take it from here.”

“Sorry Geoffrey but I don’t think you’re qualified for that position anymore,” Sally said walking right up to the Skunk.

“It’s lovely to see you in the flesh again princess,” Geoffrey said. “Although I don’t see your point.”

Sally growled. “Then I’ll my give my point in one word, desertion. When Eggman and Infinite took New Mobotropolis you and ‘King’ Naugus ran with your tails between your legs leaving everyone else to be brainboxed. You cowardly abandoned your duties to save yourselves, neither you or your master are fit to be on the throne.”

Sonic was starting to feel there was something off about Geoffrey’s smirk, like it didn’t quite belong on his face, yet he could have sworn he’d seen it before.

“My master was Ill, and I was performing my duty to protect the king. I fully intend to give up my position once King Naugus fully recovers.”

“Then why weren’t you fighting against Eggman?” asked Elias. “Six months, during that time the Resistance fought back, but you and Naugus didn’t.”

“He thought the best course of action was to complete my training to be a full Ixis Wizard. I’ve become far more powerful in that time but when it was done, the fighting was already over. What you call desertion was nothing more than a tactical error on our parts and I apologize for it. Too bad, I wanted to see what my new tricks could really do.”

“It’s not too late,” Sonic said with a smirk. “I’ll kick your tooty booty any time.”

The skunk snarled. “You might not like the results. In any case I notice some new faces on the council, I recognize you Mrs. Hedgehog.” Geoffrey turned back to Sonic. “Must be nice to have your mommy fight your political battles for you.”

“Don’t even get started about my family, you might not like the results.”

“Now who else do we have?”

Bunnie’s uncle stood up. “Baron Beauregard Lee Rabbot, former Grandmaster of the Great Desert chapter of the Dark Egg Legion. I was given amnesty and ran to support former legionaries who wanted a new start.”

“I remember now, the Hero of Winding Pass. Tell me, how are your brother and his lovely wife doing these days?”

Bunnie started to run in only for Antione to hold her back. “You low down dirty polecat!”

Geoff ignored the insult. “And how about you sir?”

The goat adjusted his glasses surprised. “My name is Pythagoras and I actually helped to draft the Republic’s new constitution.”

“A suggestion from our friends at the United Federation,” said Elias. “You’ll find that the citizens’ rights are now better protected and no one, councilor or king, is above the law.”

“I’ll have to read it carefully then,” Geoffrey said with a shrug. “You sir haven’t been able to take your eyes off me Mr. …?”

“Mars,” the heterochromatic cat growled. “We’ve never met but we’re actually related. Hershey was my niece and godchild, before she joined your little secret service, went into that whirlwind marriage with you then gotten herself killed!”

Geoffrey shook nervously.

“Trouble with the in-laws is the worst, isn’t it?” Sonic snarked.

Mars glared at Sonic too. “Don’t think that means I like you, the way you flout authority tends to cause more trouble than you fix.”

Sonic slumped. “Great, Hershey’s uncle is Hamlin 2.0.”

Geoffery regained his composure then looked over the council. “Well I look forward to working with all of you, except you Elias, I’m afraid your task here is complete. But I’ve heard there’s a job opening for a garbage collector.”

Sally clenched her fist. “And now you’ve crossed the line.”

The doors to the chamber opened again, Lucian came in next to Charlemagne. “Sorry, I’m late.” The Overlander said. “I had to check in on Fiona after finishing my nap, I’ve only just heard about this meeting.”

“That’s probably because you weren’t invited,” said Geoffrey. “This is an internal matter to the Republic and…”

“Oh, cut the act Naugus!” Charlemagne snapped. “I know it’s really you.”

“Naugus?!” everyone else looked around confused.

Geoffrey began to sweat. “You’re mistaken, I’m not the king. Clearly Overlanders reach senility much sooner than Mobians.”

“That’s the most pathetic lie I have ever heard! You might have fooled everyone else, but you can’t fool me! I spent nearly thirteen years studying Ixis Magiks and I know a possession when I see one! Now release yourself from this young man and tell us what you want face to face!”

Geoffery ran his hand through his hair and laughed. “Well since the cat’s out of the bag...”

Geoffrey’s shadow began to move on its own and grow. Eventually most of it separated and began to take shape, one with a horn, bat wings and a pincer like claw for a right hand and a staff with the purple Chaos Emerald embedded in the left. The shadow gained color and the form of Ixis Naugus towered over the former Overlander king.

“…I see no reason to carry this charade on any longer,” said Naugus.

The council bolted from their seats. “King Naugus, what is the meaning of this?!” shouted Isabella.

“He needed my body…” Geoffrey groaned as he collapsed to his knees. His eyes looked sunken like he hadn’t slept in days. “His mind is fracturing, spilt between himself and the three wizards who formed him. Possessing me keeps him stable.”

Sonic now looked at the skunk almost worried. “Man, you look terrible.”

“Unfortunately, my apprentice is correct about my condition,” said Naugus. “But as long as I use his body for a few hours a day I can still carry out my duties and rights as king. Yes, it weakens him but when he formed his pact with me as a child, he was sworn to aid me in whatever manner possible.”

“Sally, helping him was a mistake,” croaked Geoffrey. “He’s not the king I thought he’d be.”

Charlemagne looked at Naugus with contempt. “Using your apprentice in such a manner, you’re a disgrace Naugus!”

Naugus glared back in fury. “As if I care about the opinion of the man who was the sworn enemy of MY kingdom.”

“We’re a republic now!” shouted Elias. “The Kingdom you extorted from my father no longer exists! You only came into power based on the fear of one city, not the country as a whole!”

“I wonder what your ancestors would think? Restricting their monarchy with councils and constitutions?” Naugus strolled to the podium and snatched some documents from Pythagoras. “Oh, look you have a copy of it right here. Let’s see, ‘we the people of the Republic of Acorn’… ‘ensure freedom and justice’…a very dry read if do say so myself. All these guarantees and clauses…” Naugus’ eyes widened as he looked over the document. “Are a great idea, job well done Pythagoras!”

“Y-y-you’re welcome?” the scholarly goat stuttered.

“You should all be proud of yourselves, after all...” Naugus’ expression turned wicked. “This document makes my rule legally binding!”

“Your head must be cracking more than you thought!” said Sonic. “Looks like your brain’s in as bad a shape as your mind!”

Naugus thumped his pincer against the document. “My brain is perfectly fine Quickster, I am the king and it’s all here in black and white. Here’s the important part, ‘The Republic of Acorn shall be recognized as the inheritor of all the Kingdom of Acorn’s lands, territories, holdings, treaties, laws, protections, debts and obligations.’”

All Naugus succeeded in was drawing blank stares from everyone except Pythagoras. “That’s just a fancy way of saying everything that belonged to the Kingdom of Acorn now belongs to the Republic. It’s pretty much standard boilerplate for a document like this.”

“Then let me spell it out for you. The key word here is ‘debts’ both what is owed to the kingdom and what it owes to others. Legally the king acted on behalf of the kingdom and so his debts were the kingdom’s debts.”

Sally had a shocked expression. “You don’t mean…!”

“Exactly my dear! Your father promised me the crown when we were trapped in the Zone of Silence, so it was also the kingdom’s debt which the republic is bound to honor! He owed me the title of king and I have collected it, that makes me the king by right! The fact that the people of New Metropolis wished me to be king was a bonus, one no longer needed thanks to your constitution.”

Maximilian fell to his knees. “Elias, Sally, I am so sorry.”

“You missed your true calling King Ugly!” quipped Sonic. “You would have made a great slime ball lawyer, but don’t think I’ll just let you take the throne on a technicality!”

“Attacking me would be an act of treason Quickster,” growled Naugus. “You might even win, but it will cost you dearly.”

“There’s no need for a fight Sonic,” said Elias. “Two can play this game, the constitution also lays out the requirements to be the rightful king. The monarch can only hold the throne so long as they haven’t violated any applicable laws!”

“And I can think of plenty!” said Sally. “You possessed my father and tried to start a civil war between Mobians and Robians!”

“I was not king at the time,” huffed Naugus. “The condition of not violating the law are only applies for holding the throne not qualifying for it, so any actions I’ve taken before I was crowned are irrelevant.”

“Alright, you want to stick to your actions as king? When I was roboticized I attacked my brother and sent Antione into a coma because you gave Eggman the route he’d be using to leave the capital, that’s attempted murder and treason of the highest order!”

Now it was Bunnie’s turn to hold Antione back. “Saleté (Filth)! I’ll cut you down here and now!”

“Very harsh accusations,” Naugus said. “And I suppose you have proof that I was the one who told Eggman where to aim you?”

Sally grumbled. “No, I don’t.”

“There’s more,’ Geoffery grunted. “Mina’s concert, the one where the people turned on Nicole. I saw Naugus use a spell to amplify the people’s fear, against their will and he kept maintaining it after he was coronated.”

“I’ll deal with you later!” Naugus snarled.

“His statement is very damaging to himself,” said Elias. “I think the council is inclined to believe it.”

The council all nodded.

“That, doesn’t matter,” said Naugus smirked. “Fine I admit it.”

“My life was ruined because of you!” shouted Nicole.

“You’re horrible!” shouted Cream. “How can you say it doesn’t matter?!”

“Because my dear, immoral and illegal are two different things. Tell me, what law says I can’t influence emotions with magic?”

“It’s obvious!” yelled Rotor.

“Is it? You were on the council tell me does the Republic have any laws about what you can and cannot do with magic? As I recall in the old days the kingdom was only concerned on whether a form of magic was ‘moral’, not ‘legal’.”

Rotor huffed. “Unfortunately, he’s right. Based on a strict reading of the law what he did was no different than trying to influence people’s emotions through persuasion or performance, neither of which can be against the law without crippling peoples’ day to day lives.”

Geoffrey looked to Elias, “What about the spell in the crypt!? You made the activities of the Secret Freedom Fighters public after the war, you know he tried to control the minds of the council! That should be treason as well!”

“But he was never there, just you,” sighed Elias. “Not only that but the crypt was destroyed, along with any evidence. You must be really repentant to admit to an act of treason, but without proof it’d just be your word against his.”

“Innocent until proven guilty,” laughed Naugus. “And you don’t have a shred of evidence. A valiant effort but as you can see, I have broken no laws that you can prove and my claim to the throne is legally binding. Now Elias be a good boy and get out of my chair.”

Sonic’s fists were shaking. “I can’t believe he’s going to get away with this! It’s obvious as I am blue that he’s only in it for himself, but we can’t afford to have a rebellion right now, not with the treaty coming up and Mister Perfect out there ready to pick up where Eggman left off. There has to be something…!”

Suddenly laughter echoed through the Rotunda. Sonic looked and saw it was coming from Charlemagne. “I hate to tell you this Pythagoras, but I think you made a mistake! King Elias that part about the king not breaking any applicable laws, is that exactly how the constitution words it?”

“Yes,” said Elias. “Word for word, is there a problem?”

“For your constitution yes, you’ll need to revise it later, but it is an even bigger problem for Naugus! That law should have read ‘any law applicable to the monarch’ as in the position, not the person. As it stands now it means any law applicable to Naugus himself!”

“This is going to be good!” said Tails. “Looks like Charlemagne found a loophole to trip Naugus with!”

“Lucian,” Charlemagne said to the Tenrec. “I going to perform a spell but don’t worry it’s a small one. I’m just getting one of my books.” In a flash of light an old tome with an unblinking eye on the cover appeared in Charlemagne’s hand. “One Naugus should be very familiar with.”

The hybrid wizard was wide eyed. “The Tome of Ixis!”

“It does contain many spells, a lot of them foul, but in its pages Ixis Mogul also laid down the bylaws of the Order of Ixis, all of which are applicable to Naugus.”

Amy grinned. “Too bad, so close only to lose it all by going against your club’s rulebook.”

“You’d have a hard time finding anything in there!” bragged Naugus. “Those rules only govern how Ixis Wizards are to deal with each other. Right now, besides myself, I only know of five in the world. Geoffrey is my apprentice, he is bound by our pact to serve me, so those rules don’t apply to him. Mammoth Mogul? I doubt he’d get himself involved in this matter. Then there’s this fool of an Overlander and his apprentices, I only met them a few minutes ago and the girl not at all since she found her powers so there’s no possible way you can say I have broken those rules with you in any way.”

“Yes, you haven’t,” said Charlemagne as he flipped through the pages. “Yet. Here’s the noose that’s going to tighten around your neck Naugus, the right of challenge!”

Naugus broke out into a big belly laugh. “That old chestnut!? All it says is, and I quote, ‘an Ixis Wizard may issue a formal challenge for an official duel to another for any titles or property’, it just says what I CAN do!”

“You didn’t finish the quote, it also claims that refusal of a challenge counts as submission to the challenger’s power, which results in the automatic forfeiture of said titles or properties to the challenger and that is what I am counting on!” The balding man pointed his cane at Naugus. “I herby invoke the right of challenge against you Ixis Naugus for the title of King of the Republic of Acorn and your Chaos Emerald!”

Everyone in the room was stunned, Sally moved to the Overlander. “What do you think you’re doing?!”

“This was your plan all along wasn’t it?!” Sonic shouted. “King Max kicked your butt back in our juice box days so now you’re taking over as payback! You may not be a bad wizard, but you’re not a good guy!”

“I assure you both, ruling your country no longer holds the interest to me it once did, the Acorn family’s rightful crown will be given back immediately, I promise.”

“You expect us to fight for MY throne?!” roared the mutant.

“Is that a refusal Naugus? If so then I win that throne by default and if you refuse to give it to me then you will be in violation of the laws of the Order of Ixis, laws applicable to you and therefore you must abdicate that throne. The other way you have a fighting chance, so think over what you want to do very carefully.”

“GRRRRRRAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHH!” Naugus’ mutations began to intensify. “Fine I accept your challenge! But you have made your last mistake Overlander! You studied Ixis Magiks for thirteen years? I studied for centuries, next to me you are a petulant schoolboy! I will utterly destroy you!”

“Have it your way, the wise option would have been to surrender now so we could have gotten this whole mess over with. Now there are requirements for a formal Ixis Duel. First, we need a designated battleground accessible to any who desire to bare witness, for this may I ask the council if I can borrow the City Arena?”

“It was built for concerts and sporting events,” said Bernadette. “But if we must do this, then it would be the best place that would put the people out of harm’s way. I say we put it to a vote, all in favor. Aye.”

“Aye,” said Isabella.

“Aye,” said Rosemary.”

“Aye,” said Beauregard.

“Aye,” said Pythagoras.

“Aye,” said Mars.

“The vote is unanimous,” said Elias. “You have your colosseum.”

“Thank you. Now we each must have a second to aid us in preparations, I trust Naugus will have Geoffery as his second and I choose Lucian as mine.”

“I won’t let you down master!” Lucian beamed.

“I know. Next, we need one witness each, but I have a feeling we’ll get much more than that. Finally, we need an appointed time for the duel within a day the challenge was issued.”

“That puts your duel right in the middle of Remembrance Day!” yelled Mars. “Dignitaries from the other nations and Freedom Fighters from around the world will be here tomorrow morning for ceremonies in honor of those who gave their lives since the war with Robotnick began! With planned reunions and other events this will be a major disruption!”

“Then I suggest tomorrow evening, that way most of the planned events should have already been finished. I’m truly sorry that I must dispirit this somber occasion, but this is the best option left to settle the matter quickly.”

“Then I’ll inform the arena of the situation,” said Isabella. “My daughter had a Remembrance Day concert scheduled for then but given the circumstances the people will have to understand why it has to be cancelled.”

“Then all that remains is that Naugus and I prepare for battle,” said Charlemagne. “I thank the council for its understanding.”

“If there is no other business,” said Elias. “I would like to adjourn this meeting.”

“As head of the Freedom Fighters I propose to table something for a later session,” said Sally. “I would like to discuss a new threat to the Republic. Viktor Robotnick, an AI in a genetically engineered body, is planning to pick up where Eggman left off. We have to prepare a strategy to apprehend him before he grows too powerful.”

“Prepare a report and we’ll discuss it the day after tomorrow, anything else?” No response. “In that case I hereby call this emergency meeting of the Council of Acorn adjourned.”

“Geoffery, we have work to do!” bellowed Naugus.

Geoffery began to get up to follow but Sonic grabbed him by the wrist. “He’s not going anywhere! Sounded to me like he realized he backed the wrong Streaking Pasha, maybe he should talk to the authorities about how many hours of community service he can get.”

Geoffery was dumbfounded. “Sonic, Princess…”

“I’ve been in a very forgiving mood lately Geoffrey,” Sally said with a sigh. “It’s not too late for you to turn around.”

“I’m afraid it’s been too late for far longer than any of you realize.” Naugus said moving his scepter to his pincer claw. He then clenched his fist and a purple rune appeared on the back of his hand.

Geoffery clutched his head and moaned in pain. The same rune now appeared on his forehead. “What on Mobius?!”

“Remember that pact we made when you were a boy?” Naugus cackled. “It wasn’t just a promise you made me, it was a magically binding contract! I gave you magical power and agreed to teach you how to use it in exchange for servitude until I became the absolute ruler of the Kingdom of Acorn! I fulfilled my end of the bargain you have power and I have now trained you to become a full Ixis Wizard, until I get what I want you are bound to serve me whether you wish it or not!” Geoffrey was levitated to Naugus’ side. “And I need a second, remember?” The evil wizard turned back to the Freedom Fighters. “See you tomorrow.”

The two then turned into shadows and vanished.

“I feel sorry for Mr. St. John,” said Cream.

“Chao, Chao,” said Cheese.

“Poor guy can’t catch a break, can he?” said Rotor. 

“He was a decent man once,” said Amy. “But his grief at Hershey’s death has pretty much destroyed him on the inside.”

“I’ve been wondering,” said Antione. “I’ve read zhe report and all they found of her was the suit she wore on zhe mission, zhey never found zhe body.”

“You think she might still be alive?” asked Bunnie. “Then where has she been for over a year?”

“I don’t know for certain she is, call it a gut feeling but I think more went during her last mission than we know.”

“Well it’s not like she can help us break the hold that pact has on Geoff,” said Sonic. “And Naugus is right, he lived up to his end of the bargain perfectly, for once. Don’t get me wrong, Geoff and I never saw eye to eye on how to get the job done, but we were on the same side and I don’t want to leave a teammate hanging.”

“Maybe if we took away Geoffrey’s magic,” Tails said. “If he no longer has his power then Naugus would have failed to live up to his end of the bargain and that would break the pact.”

Sonic gave a thumbs up. “That’s our little genius!”

“I’ll see if Uncle Merlin left behind something we can use, but this could take a while. As for the what Naugus is doing now we just have to hope Charlemagne wins.”

Sally sighed. “I’m still not comfortable about this. This Republic was established as a compromise between a family that mostly served the kingdom well and representation of the will of the people. Instead we’re now deciding succession with gladiatorial combat, talk about a step backwards.”

“I don’t like it either,” grumbled Sonic. “I’m starting to feel Charlie is playing Lucian and Fiona for chumps. For now, though we gotta play the cards we’re dealt. But that’s tomorrow’s problem, tonight Sal’s folks invited us to a feast, and I skipped lunch!”

“I wish I could,” said Cream. “But Mother wants me home before sundown, she says we have to get up early tomorrow for some special Remembrance Day plans.”

“Ok, see you tomorrow then Cream,” said Amy. “And Sonic I hope you’re wrong about Charlemagne, for Lucian’s sake.”


In the Great Forest outside Freedom City, Naugus and Geoffrey materialized. “You would go against the will of your master?” Bellowed Naugus.

“You didn’t seem to have a problem with it when I tried to stop you from destroying the Robians!” Geoffrey snarled.

“Having you aid me then would have just complicated things and I had stronger servants at the time. Now you’re all I have left, fortunately your concern for the father didn’t pass on to his son.”

“I thought Elias was too weak a ruler and Sally wouldn’t take the throne for herself, well Elias has proven me wrong more than enough times, but more importantly I now see you as the greedy monster you really are! I thought I could get you to change, that you could become a benevolent king, but you listen only to yourself! You manipulated a foolish little boy who just missed his father into thinking his king was unfit when you were the one who relied on trickery and deceit!”

“You lost any moral high ground you had long ago, good thing for you the only purpose it serves is if your opponent has it as an excellent place to sight your artillery. Remember, we still have a pact! Now I must think of a way for you tip the scales of this contest in my favor should the need arise.

“In other words, cheat.”

“What you call it doesn’t matter. Now I’ll need to stabilize my mutations before the duel…”

“I can’t.” Geoffrey said flatly.

“You will not defy me!” Naugus roared.

Geoffrey simply laughed. “You don’t understand I really can’t, I need to recover my strength as well. I can keep the three wizards you’re hosting in check, I can use my magic during the duel, but I can’t do both. You’re going to have to choose one.”

Naugus grumbled. “I suppose I could convince Augnus, Nusgau and Suguna that if we don’t work together this one time, we risk losing everything. Now if you really need rest then I suggest you go to sleep now. I’ll be studying my own Tome of Ixis to come up with a strategy.”

Geoffery curled up on the ground. “I can’t make amends, not with the pact binding me to Naugus. I can’t do this this anymore, but he’ll never let me go. If he wins, I won’t be able to live with myself and if he escapes there may be only one way out of this pact.”

Geoffery turned and saw a single flower moving back a forth in the breeze. “If it comes down to that then Hershey, we’ll soon be together forever.”


By sundown the Freedom Fighters had gathered in the dining room of the Royal Estate. The lavish table was loaded with both fancy food and fare like Chili Dogs. But the best thing to them was that the Acorn, Hedgehog and Prower families were almost all in attendance. “Thought Charlie would be here.” Sonic said as he took a bite off a Chili Dog. “Well I guess getting ready for this duel had to make him cancel.”

“Would you care for some tea Sir Charles?” Cubot said.

“I would love some thank you,” Chuck said. Orbot then began to poor.

“I can’t believe you got those two to be your butlers,” said Tails.

“Hey, they saw the direction the wind was blowing and went with it,” said Sonic. “As long as they don’t go crawling to Viktor, I’m ok with it. It’s not like they ever did anything useful for old Eggman.

Jules had packed his plate high. “Jules dear, aren’t you over doing it?” Bernie asked.

“Bernie, I haven’t eaten in fourteen years,” replied the man who was once considered the last Robian. “I’m hungry!”

“I hear that,” said Sally. “I’m thinking of stuffing my cheeks like I did when I was a little kid.”

“Save some room for dessert dear,” said Alicia. “We have nut cake.”

Sally had a dream like expression. “I love nut cake!”

“Don’t worry Bernie,” Jules said stroking his wife’s quills. “I won’t stuff myself into a food coma, after all there’s something else I had in mind neither of us had done in thirteen years. Something that I’m going to need energy for.”

Bernie began blushing. “Oh, Jules. We’re embarrassing Sonic!”

Sonic laughed. “I understand perfectly, I mean it. We thought Dad was going to be a robot forever, now that he isn’t you should enjoy what that entails.”

“We understand too.” said Bunnie as she cut some steamed carrots. “Sugah-twan and I are going to have our wedding night tonight.”

Amy looked shocked. “You mean while you were brainboxed you weren’t allowed to…?”

“Non, we were allowed,” said Antione blushing. “But well…”

“It’s alright hun,” said Bunnie. “We don’t want to remember it like that, not only because of what Eggman made us be like, but also between the tiny bedroom we had and how we both started as such clumsy lovers it didn’t feel at all like the romance novels.”

“The first time never is,” said Rosemary. “Like everything else it takes practice, practice, practice.”

“With all due respect do you have to take the conversation this way?” said Chuck. He looked over to Megan feeding Alexis some pureed fruit. “After all there’s a one-year old present.”

“I still can’t believe how big Alexis has gotten,” said Elias. “So much had happened and because of Eggman we missed it. When we were brainboxed and realized you’d taken her to safety away from us we called her a brat and thought good riddance. Even if I wasn’t myself, I feel like such a creep.”

“We’re together safe and happy,” said Megan. “The four of us can take solace in that.”

Elias looked confused. “The ‘four’ of us?”

Megan sat down next to her husband and put his hand on her stomach. “We were so caught up in the celebrations of the Eggman Empire’s defeat I didn’t realize I was in heat. I went to the doctor today to check and…Alexis is going to be a big sister!”

“Megan!” The couple hugged each other fiercely.

Sonic smiled. “Congrats, you guys!”

“Way to go bro!” Sally said with a sly wink.

“I can’t deny it anymore,” said Alicia. “My little boy is now a man.”

“Well if Nikki has taught me anything it’s how hard but rewarding being a parent can be,” said Rotor. “You know if you want Alexis and Nikki to have a play date you should probably do it soon. The rate Nikki is expanding her program I wouldn’t be surprised if by next week she’d closer to a preschooler with an elementary student’s education.”

“And how would that work out?” asked Megan. “Alexis is too young to use the computer and Nikki can’t come outside of it.”

“I guess I could let her borrow my handheld,” said Nicole. “I mean if I won’t remember later it wouldn’t hurt to let Nikki have her own hologram for a little while.”

Rotor shook his head. “I actually did let her use a projector and she ended up banging it against the floor breaking the thing and I had to force her into a drive before she damaged herself. So, if we do this maybe we shouldn’t let her touch the handheld.”

Tails sighed.

“What’s wrong son?” asked Amadeus.

“All this baby talk reminded me of something I wanted to ask you both. While you were both stranded on Argentum, did you ever think about having another baby?”

Amadeus returned Tail’s sigh. “I won’t lie to you Tails, there were times your mother and I considered it.”

“So why didn’t you?”

“You have to understand we didn’t know if you were still alive or roboticized, let alone if we would ever see you again,” said Rosemary. “Sometimes we thought it might fill the hole you left but every time we came back to the same conclusion. We’d be raising a child who’d be the only Mobian their age on the entire planet so we could essentially have a replacement goldfish, it wouldn’t have been fair to your little brother or sister, so we never did.”

“Well, nothing’s stopping you now if you want,” said Tails. “I mean I’m here now and there’d be plenty of kids their age. I wouldn’t mind if you want another baby and if you don’t want one that’s fine too, I just don’t want you holding back on my account.”

“Son you are one of a kind,” said Amadeus. As he wiped a tear from his organic eye. “With everything going on I doubt your mother and I will be giving you a little brother or sister anytime soon, but who knows what the future will bring.”

“Especially since I read that once we’ve reached maturity Mobians can have babies even into old age.”

“That generally isn’t done Tails,” said Rosemary. “The norm is that once your own children can start having babies then the next generation becomes their responsibility and I for one do not see myself…”

Rosemary’s cell phone rang. “One moment,” She picked up the phone. “Hello? Derrick?! How did you get this number!? Never mind this better be important. She has? Ok, we’re still having dinner with the Royal Family, but should be home by the time you’re finished with the hospital staff and security. You’re welcome but remember she’s still technically under probation and house arrest, even if it’s my house. Ok, we’ll see you then, goodbye.”

Rosemary hung up. “Fiona has regained consciousness, it will still take a couple of hours for her to be discharged but now we can start arrangements for a trial.”

“So, she’s going to be in our house…” said Tails.

“We won’t let her see you until we get a better idea of her intentions. But according to Derrick once they all had a good cry together, she mostly concerned about Charlemagne’s health.”

“I’m not sure about this whole duel thing,” said Sonic. “I know we don’t have another choice, but Charlie doesn’t seem to be the most well guy and even if he wins, what guarantee do we have that he’ll give the crown back?”

“We were each other’s worst enemy,” said Max. “Sadly I think that means I’m the closest thing he has left to a friend. When you spend four years focused how to defeat someone they can become as familiar to you as family. The Charlemagne of the Great War was arrogant, vindictive, short-tempered and bigoted but he was also patient, cunning, caring to his men and above all honorable. He would want to win fairly or not at all, I can’t imagine him going back on his word once it was given and he’d die sooner than lose to someone like Naugus.”

“Well we’ve spent ten years fighting Robotnick,” said Sally. “And all we really learned about him was that there seemed to be no limit to his depravity. You might see Charlemagne as this worthy opponent trying to make amends, I want to see him that way too, but I guess the five-year-old girl in me still thinks of him as the bad man who made mommy go away.”

“Oh, Sally,” Alicia cried. “I’m not going away again if I can help it.”

“I still don’t know,” said Sonic. “My gut still says something is off about all this.”

“What is with you today?!” Amy snapped. “The Sonic I remember isn’t this paranoid! Usually you think the best of someone you first met and treat each encounter as it comes even with people who you have reason to distrust. But you distrusted Lucian even before you found out he was an Ixis Wizard, you accused Lucian and Charlemagne even when the Sword of Light said they were good and when Charlemagne gave us an out you practically said he was just as bad as Naugus!”

“Amy, it’s been a long day and I’m getting bushed…”

“Does this have something to do with the six months you were held prisoner?”

“I DON’T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT!” Sonic bellowed as he slammed the table.

Things were silent for a bit except for Alexis crying and sobs coming from the blue blur.

Sally came close to Sonic and hugged him. “Sonic it’s ok, I know what you went through, just let it out.”

The sobs continued. “He made me watch, all of it. New Mobotropolis falling, Freedom Fighters made into mockeries of the name, Antoine getting Legionized, Sally brainboxing Elias and calling it his crown, my mom acting like she was roboticized again while not a single hair was changed, cities burning, my friends hurting, and I could do nothing! Not a hand was laid on me and he was breaking me! I can’t…I can’t risk that happening again.”

“Sonic we had no idea,” said Amy. “The way you kept a brave face on through all of that, trying to keep it all inside it must have been eating you alive.”

“Son,” Jules said as he and Bernie came close. “You may be the hero of the world to everyone else, but you don’t have to be for your mother and me.”

“If you ever need it, just come to us,” said Bernadette. “No one needs to see, any time you can just be our little boy and let it all out. Cry your heart out and let us comfort you. We couldn’t be that for so long, but we can now.”

“I…” Sonic took a deep breath. “Thanks Mom, Dad. I guess I needed to vent more than I thought. I’m not ‘fine’ but I can keep going.”

“We’re your friends,” said Tails. “You don’t have to hide anything from us.”

“Yeah, don’t worry Amy, if you like this Lucian that much, I’ll try to get along with him.”

Amy blushed. “I don’t know if it’s that. I do feel this strange connection, but I don’t want to shoehorn him into being my ‘runner-up Sonic’. I can tell you and Sally really care for each other and he makes me think it might be ok to let go, but I want to know the real Lucian more before I just give him my heart.”

“So, we’re all cool.”

“Yeah, and you both don’t have to worry about the duel,” said Elias. “I got in touch with Larry, Lyco and Leeta will be here tomorrow and Harvey wanted to see me in a bit, Naugus won’t catch us with our pants down. Still I wish Shard was active and for some reason I can’t get in touch with Silver.”

“I’m sorry Elias but he went home,” said Sally. “I don’t think he’s coming back.”

“Sonic!” Silver yelled from the window to the estate garden with Gold right next to him. “I brought my twin sister, we have to save the future!”

Sonic groaned. “Can’t he keep his own time safe for one day?”


Mina Mongoose found Ash in her kitchen tossing the stir-fry he was making them for dinner. Feeling slightly mischievous she decided to sneak up on him and have a little fun with the news that was responsible for her good mood. Once she was behind him, she covered up his eyes.

“Guess who?”

Ash grumbled. “I have vegetables frying here.”

“Come on guess,”

“Ok, M…”

“I’m not done, guess who is going to throw the best Remembrance Day concert tomorrow?”

“Mi...”

“Still not done, guess who is going to throw the best Remembrance Day concert tomorrow AND whose mom and dad are getting re-married!?”

Ash gasped. “They are?! Mina that’s great!”

Mina uncovered Ash’s eyes. “You got it right!”

Ash turned from the wok on the stovetop. “I can’t believe at how much you changed your mind about him. I mean after we first met him you told me you could go the rest of your life without knowing what happens to him. Then when he was endangered near the end of the war it drove you get help from a boost wisp and you used it to take down a Hard-Boiled Heavy screaming ‘nobody hurts my dad’. You even punctuated it for emphasis.”

Mina gazed into Ash’s eyes. “I remember certain moody mongoose was right there with me cracking Heavy Gunner like we were making an omelet.”

Ash gazed back. “Well your dad’s story and being on the run with the Resistance taught me some things ARE worth fighting for and to me you’d be on top that list.”

The two started to kiss when the smoke detector started going off. The couple turned around and noticed the stir-fry was now on fire. “Oh no!” Mina said as Ash quickly put a lid on the wok to snuff out the flames. “I shouldn’t have distracted you like that! I’m so sorry!”

“Hey, I should have remembered I was cooking,” said Ash. He took the lid off to burnt veggies. “Looks like we’ll be having take-out tonight.”

The phone started to ring, Mina picked it up. “Hello? Oh Mom, we were just talking about you and Dad. Can you hang on a second?” She turned to Ash. “Can you go ahead and order something for us? It sounds like this might be important.”

“Sure, thing babe.”

“Thanks!” Mina went back to the phone. “Alright mom what’s up? The concert?”

Ash went to Mina’s living room and got out his cell phone. “Let’s see, that Dragon Kingdom place should have some stir-fry…” Ash’s cell started to ring. “Guess take-out will have to wait a bit.” He pressed the answer button. “This is Ash Mongoose, manager of the Forget-Me-Knots, if you wish to speak with Mina, you’ll have to wait until after concert tomorrow…”

“Actually, I wished to speak with you,” came a smug voice.

“Mammoth,” Ash answered keeping voice low enough that Mina couldn’t hear. “What do you want?”

“Oh, you’ve forgotten already?” Mammoth Mogul said. “Let me refresh your memory. The Phantom Ruby War was in full swing, your lovely little songoose was using the talents I had bestowed upon her and joined the Resistance. You couldn’t take that she could have gotten herself killed and begged her to go into hiding with you, in response she called you a coward, no better than her father.”

“I was wrong, we’ve moved on from that.”

“Only because you decided to do something about it. You wanted to keep her safe but knew you had no experience or ability to help, so you used what contacts were available to you and found where I was hiding. I was quite impressed, you marched into my makeshift office and demanded we make a deal. I particularly like how you stated your demands, quote ‘You gave Mina speed powers, I want speed powers’. Then you threatened to use an old Freedom Fighter tracking beacon that the DEL cracked to bring Eggman’s forces on both our heads. I called your bluff but the lengths you went through intrigued me.”

“Get to the point!”

“Point is we did make a deal, I gave you the same powers I gave Mina, powers you used to help her and the Resistance, in exchange for a favor to be determined later. Well guess what, it’s later and I want the floorplans to Freedom City Stadium.”

“You can get those publicly.”

“Including the secret access points to the service tunnels that are not on public record. The tunnels that can move personnel through the city without notice. As someone who might need that info to arrange for a concert’s special effects, you should have that information.”

“Why would you want that?”

“That’s on a need to know basis and quite frankly you don’t need to know.”

“It has to do with tomorrow’s concert, there’s nothing else planned. Well then remember another part of our deal, Mina and I get thorough the whole thing in one piece.”

“I can assure you no one will get hurt unless they do something stupid. You’re not stupid, are you?”

Ash growled. “You know what forget it, you can take my speed away! If people are going to get hurt, then Mina would never forgive me if I let it happen.”

“Even if I did take your power away you had already benefited from it, it’s too late to back out now. But if you refuse to co-operate, I can think of other penalties. For example, I’ve done a little research into your girlfriend’s family history. Her father, Arthur Mongoose, a simple man who had a bad habit of bragging. During the Great War he was drafted then boasted to everyone else that he would come back from the army a hero, only to cowardly try to abandon his duties.”

“He wasn’t a coward; he just didn’t want to hurt anybody.”

“Well they say girls tend to be attracted to men like their fathers, so I can understand you empathizing with the pacifist. But imagine his surprise when he ran across the lovely Isabella cornered by a squad of overlanders, immediately smitten the coward found his courage and saved her. He was given a reprimand but also considered a hero, soon after the two were married and Isabella gave birth to Mina just before Arthur was to be sent out to the front once more. His second tour didn’t go nearly as well, after getting caught in a bad offensive he was presumed dead, and for many years that was what the world thought. But in truth Arthur survived but his memories didn’t and he eventually settled down in a small town as a simple farmer named Diego, until the town was roboticized and he became just another drone in Robotropolis.

“Fast forward a few years, free will restored but with his mind still broken the Robian went back to the farm if for no other reason than he had nothing else. Little really changed until Diego was de-roboticized, and not only was his flesh and blood restored but his memories as well. Fearful that the real Arthur Mongoose would bring same to his family for being exposed as a coward he faked his continued amnesia until the Phantom Ruby War broke out and his little girl unintentionally saved him when evacuating the town before they could be brainboxed. Thinking he abandoned them Mina was disgusted with Arthur but seeing his little girl grown into such a fierce young woman lit a spark in old soldier and he conquered his fear for good aiding others while on the run from the Eggman Army. This changed his daughter’s opinion of him when they met again, but you were there for that part. After the war Arthur was welcomed back as a hero and promoted to be Amadeus Prower’s right hand man in the Acorn Army. Look at him now, from a cowardly farmer to a decorated officer with a promising career, a well loved and respected member of the community. He and Councilor Isabella even reconciled for their long years apart and are giving their marriage a second chance.”

“What does this have to do with penalties?”

“The mongoose family seems to be well on their way to a fine ‘happily ever after’, it would be a shame if it were found that say, As his time as Deigo had used the war robbed an unguarded bank.”

“I know the man and he wouldn’t do that!”

“No, but I have the rescoures to make it look like he did. Would you really have your beloved songoose’s family destroyed all over again over some measly blueprints? They seem so close together now, I think it would break all their spirits, permanently.”

Ash growled. “Fine, you’ll get your tunnels. But then it’s over, we get out in one piece and you stay out of our lives forever!”

“My assistant Breezie will contact you shortly on how to send them. Oh, and you can keep the powers I gave you, no strings attached.”

Mammoth hung up just as Mina came into the living room. “Ash, Mom just told me…”

“You have to cancel the concert tomorrow!”

Mina’s eyes widened “Ash, I can’t…”

“We have to!”

“No, I mean Mom just told me the concert was already cancelled, King Naugus came back but the old Overlander king challenged him to a duel for the throne and they needed the stadium, so the concert is already cancelled.”

Ash sunk down into the couch. “He knew, he knew what happened…”

Mina began to get frightened. “Mogul called in his favor, didn’t he?!”

“I wanted to back out, give my speed back. But he threatened your dad, said he could get locked up again for longer and that includes the time he was off because he was a robotiziced slave.”

Mina began tearing up as she sat down next to Ash. “Oh Ash, first you made that deal for me, then you told me about it when you could have just lied and now, you’re going through with it, all for me…”

Ash began wiping away Mina’s tears. “Hey babe listen, none of this is your fault, it’s mine. I have to face the music, let the authorities know…”

“We’re in this together remember? I agreed with you that the Resistance should never know about your powers. So, if you’re doing this, I’m going tell them I knew everything from the beginning.”

“But your music career, your reputation will be over!”

“You’re worth more to me than that, you hated fighting and still went through with it for my sake.”

“But you rubbed off on me, it got me to see what being a Freedom Fighter meant to you. Fighting should never be the first option, but sometimes you have no choice. Like now, your mom and dad, second chances for a broken marriage are rare. They shouldn’t suffer because I refused to play ball, maybe it’s my turn to take the heat.”

“When I saw how Dad was hurting just as much as me or Mom, I realized we’re all just making each other hurt when we should have been sticking closer together. Dad made some big mistakes, but so did Mom and me. I won’t let that happen to us, I…don’t want to lose you…”

Ash picked up an acoustic guitar and began to play a few notes. Mina could tell what he wanted, what they needed. The one song she never sang for the fans, even her friends haven’t heard it yet, for now it was theirs and theirs alone. And the point that felt right she sang out.

On a prickly path that goes on for miles

Ash sang the next line, not quite the super star singer but he could at least carry a tune.

But it’s worth it just to see you smile

Now they sang together, just feeling the warmth of the music.

And I cannot be pulled apart

From the hold you have on my heart

And even if the world tells us it’s wrong

You’re in my head like a catchy song.

The two looked into each other’s eyes.

“It’ll be alright,” said Mina. “Sonic’s back in town so I’m sure he’ll stop whatever Mogul’s planning.”

“Yeah,” said Ash. “And if I think about it, Mogul’s probably trying to make sure Naugus is dethroned, he hates the guy. I mean what else could he possibly gain out of this duel?”


Mammoth Mogul had just got the plans from Breezie, now he was giving the news.

“With the plans in hand and everyone’s attention focused on the duel we’ll be able to launch our surprise attack when several of our targets are gathered in the same place. All according to your plan, Lord Specter.”

The masked creature continued its apparent mediation. “With Naugus in our path and the hero about to receive an unexpected gift we will have all seven Chaos Emeralds by the end of tomorrow and just as importantly we’ll be able to capture several individuals we also need. The Grand Design moves ever closer to completion.”

Mogul stroked his chin. “There are concerns I have though.”

Lord Specter turned and faced Mogul. “Do you question the Grand Design?” he said with a tone of menace.

“No, my lord, but I do question Robotnick. We will be asking him to launch two attacks in one day, with the limited rescoures at his disposal I have my doubts about his ability to carry out this Grand Design.”

“Mogul, you are the father of Ixis Magiks for this new world yet there is still much about them you do not understand.” Specter said now more like a teacher explaining something to a child. “Each of our places in the Grand Design is not merely a matter of resources and ability but several intangibles as well, such as Viktor’s determination and desire to prove his ‘perfection’ to the world. Bonds, values, even luck are all accounted for in the Grand Design. Robotnick will succeed and move on to his next role.”

“And what of Sonic? He tends to bring chaos to any design he’s involved with, usually to its detriment.”

“Sonic, he’s the most valuable component of all! I find his unpredictability makes him very predictable. Does this mean I underestimate him? That would be foolishness to the greatest degree. But the most dangerous tools often prove to be the most useful ones.”


Having just been introduced to Gold, Sonic glared at the time travelers in the estate garden and since it was decided to be a matter for the Freedom Fighters and Elias as Silver’s commander, they were also present. “Ok so who do you want to say is the traitor this time? Tails, Bunnie? Heck why not accuse someone we don’t like for a change.”

“You already stopped the traitor when Sally was freed from Eggman’s influence,” said Gold. “But the future was ruined in a different way. Sonic, someone’s trying to kill you.”

“And that is different from almost every other day of my life how?”

“In this case, they succeeded,” said Silver. “We saw a video record of you stabbed through the heart with Sally grieving over you. Somehow this was orchestrated by someone with the ability to manipulate time and it results in Mobius becoming the center of a despotic regime that enslaved the galaxy.”

“Viktor,” Sally said squeezing Sonic’s hand. “Someone is helping him.”

“I don’t think it’s him,” said Gold. “From what Red Knight, a robot of his that will be reprogrammed in the future, told me Vicktor Robotnick was an AI supremacist, the Mobian Imperium had strict controls on AI.”

“Your source sounds unreliable, Viktor will say whatever he needs to get someone to do what he wants. He might make a show of AI supremacy to his robots, but in the end he’s a narcissistic manipulator whose only ideal is whatever is best for Robotnick himself.”

“I thought it might be a Mobian because of the propaganda about how humans had to be wiped out, but with how the Imperium operates that might just be a smokescreen to justify destroying the United Federation. In truth it could be anyone.”

“You think it might be Charlemagne?” asked Sonic. “Something about him is a bit off to me and before you get mad at me Amy, if anything I think Lucian is getting played.”

“I’m not sure, the information we have is patchy at best.”

“But the important thing is we know the Interloper’s target, you,” said Silver. “So, Gold and I are going to be acting as your bodyguards until we stop the Interloper.”

“I never needed bodyguards before,” Sonic fumed.

“You never had an assassin from the future try to kill you before!” said Tails.

“Unless you count me,” said Silver. “A misunderstanding in a previous timeline, you don’t need to worry about it now.”

Sonic shook his head. “Sorry but if we’re going to stop Robotnick I can’t have you worrying if every doorknob I touch is booby-trapped or something. How long did you say I have?”

“According to the data, sometime this year.”

“Then I just have to not get stabbed in the chest until New Year’s.”

“Sorry, but we have to make sure.”

“I have a compromise,” said Gold. “I can form a mental link between you and me plus another one between you and Silver. That way you just have to telepathically contact us if you suspect danger…”

Sonic raised his hand. “Hard pass. If I don’t want you hanging around me all day, I definitely don’t want you guys inside my head.”

“The mental link is only for sending thoughts, you’d have to be a full telepath to read thoughts uninvited.”

“And you can make these links because?”

Gold sighed. “I’m a full telepath.”

“Thanks for the offer, but I’d like to keep my head to myself.”

“Then you leave us no choice,” said Silver. “One of us will have to watch you at all times. We’ll keep our distance to so you can operate normally, but we can’t afford to have you dying on us.”

“So, you’re going get Sonic through the year and then go home?” asked Amy.

Gold sighed. “No, because of how we had to time travel this era is our home now. But we still must save the future, for those who gave their lives for us to come back here and for our descendants whose home it will become.” Gold gave a glance at Silver. {We must talk later, privately.}

“Well if you’re going to be swapping who watches over him can I ask for Gold to take the first shift?” said Elias. “Naugus is back and I need Silver for a Secret Freedom Fighter reunion. No doubt he’ll try to pull some underhanded trick to win this duel tomorrow and we need to be ready.”

{What do you think sis?} thought Silver.

“I’m fine with it,” said the Tenrec. {It aligns with our other objective, you know what needs to be done.}

{Yes, but I don’t have to like it.}

“Ok,” said Elias. “First we have to pay Harvey a visit, something about a secret weapon.”

“Well if there’s nothing else the rest of us should turn in,” said Sally. “It been a long day for all of us and Remembrance Day might prove to be just as long, if not as intense.”

As everyone left and Silver followed Elias off the Royal Estate, he used his mental link with Gold. {So, what did you need to talk about?}

{You probably shouldn’t have gotten to know these people, it’s going to make our other objective much more difficult.}

{It couldn’t be helped, I could tell you were uncomfortable with Amy…}

{With the coming tragedies, she’s going to be one of the ones who’ll be hit the hardest. It would be so much easier if she was just a stranger.}

{They’re all connected to Sonic, we can’t just avoid them. Yes, it’ll make it harder for them and us but if the Interloper gets it in their head to prevent us from existing then we must make sure the right events happen, even if it means anger and sorrow later.}

{I know, it’ll be particularly tricky for me tomorrow. I must keep an eye on Sonic and watch for Blaze. She’ll be here with the other dignitaries but because of what needs to happen tomorrow we can’t bring her up to speed until after she gets involved herself.}

{This is already shaping up to be a Remembrance Day everyone will want to forget.}

“This where Harvey said to meet him,” said Elias as he came to a building marked “maintenance”. Opening the door, they came face to face with the old owl.

“I see you’ve brought Silver, good this will be one less thing to do tomorrow.”

“So, where’s this secret weapon you were talking about?”

“In the next room. With Naugus out in public dueling he’ll have to rely on his apprentice for outside interference, that’s where the weapon comes in. With Shard still out of commission we needed to fill in a gap and this person should be able to prevent the apprentice from acting. Gentlemen, I’d like you met the Jack of Hearts.”

Harvey led Elias and silver into the room. Waiting inside was a black cat with a white belly and face wearing a red vest, a blue bandana around her neck and gold rings around her wrists.

“Before I join this team, I just want to know two things.”  Hershey St. John’s eyes burned like fire. “What danger is Geoffrey in and how do I save my husband?!”

Chapter 7: Remembrance Day under the GUN

Summary:

Sonic learns about the altered nature of his world and his new mission, Viktor Robotnick attacks GUN HQ and goes up against Team Dark, the freedom fighters pay homage to the fallen and Vanilla reveals to Cream and the Freedom Fighter about her rebellious youth and the true identity of Cream's Father.

Chapter Text

“You have had your day,” the mysterious voice said. “The time has come for you to make your choice.”

Sonic was not sure how he got to what looked like an endless void. The last thing he remembered was hitting the sack. “Ok, not my usual dream.”

“You were given a day to find the agent,” said another voice. “A day where those of the second and third worlds lived in the original.”

“Despite your successes you have failed in your task,” said a third voice. “Now which of the three worlds will be spared?”

“What are you…?”

Suddenly he was assaulted by a flood of memories, the Super Genesis Wave, his world utterly transformed, Freedom Fighters who were the same yet so different, the world changing yet again, now there were no freedom fighters, but he was still the hero. But most of all he remembered those who were erased and those who wouldn’t exist if others weren’t were erased.

“Three worlds,” said a fifth. “Choose one to continue or lose all three.”

“But no matter what I choose people will die!”

“Quit stalling!” came a sixth voice. “Make your choice now!”

Suddenly Sonic was surrounded by endless faces. Many of them familiar, some had two different versions of themselves, others three but everyone of them seemed to be reaching out to him in desperation all of them repeating the same words.

“Save me Sonic! Save me Sonic! Save me Sonic!”

“This…this isn’t right! Whatever choice I’d make it would be the wrong one! They don’t deserve to be wiped away because I couldn’t save them! I’m not going to sacrifice innocent people to have someone around like I owned them! If you gotta erase someone erase me! Because if I just choose who lives and who dies because of what I want, I’d be no different from what I spent a lifetime fighting against! I don’t care how powerful you are no one has that right!”

“So, your answer is defiance against beings far more powerful than you,” came a seventh voice. “Is that your final decision?”

“In case you haven’t noticed defiance and fighting impossible odds is kinda my thing.”

The endless faces vanished. Suddenly the voices spoke as one. “Then you have proven yourself worthy.”

The void became a colorful version of outer space and he found himself standing on a heptagonal platform. Then seven lights appeared and became figures standing around him. A green hedgehog, a red wolf, a blue dog, a purple cat, a yellow bear, a cyan bird and a white rabbit all about the same size as himself. They all had glowing eyes, but no other firm details could be discerned.

“Ok, I now have a million questions. Let’s start with who are you, where am I and what that whole deal with the three worlds is.”

“We are the creators of Chaos Emeralds,” said the Hedgehog. “You may know us as the Chaos Titans.”

“Kinda small for titans."

“We have chosen to appear in forms you would be comfortable with,” said the dog. “As beings of pure Chaos Energy interacting with us would be difficult for your mortal mind otherwise.”

“Since before time began, we have watched over and protected your universe from here, the Sanctum of the Titans,” said the Wolf.

Sonic’s quills bristled. “You’re not very good protectors if you were willing to erase all those people from reality!”

“The mortals were never in real danger,” said the cat. “But we had to test your resolve to ensure the safety of others, even if there seemed to be no favorable outcome. Your resolve to create your own answer.”

“And If I failed your little test?”

“You would wake up back home with no memory of this and we would select another to be our champion,” said the bear.

“So, you’re asking me for my help,”

“Well we did restore what was erased from reality those two times and unified it all into the original world,” said the bird. “We’ll need to rest for an epoch or two before returning to full strength.”

“Well if you saved my friends it’s probably the least, I can do,”

“We’re afraid your world is not out of danger,” said the Rabbit. “An ancient force is moving to reshape all of existence, we need you to stop its agent on your world before that force can be unleashed.”

“Wait a minute, does this have anything to do with the person out to kill me Silver and Gold warned me about?”

“All will be revealed as you move closer to your goal,” said the Hedgehog. “For now, though you have earned a boon you will need to save your friends in the challenge to come. Fiest!”

The from above them the giant panda who ruled the special zone appeared with the cyan Chaos Emerald in hand. “I see the blue one has passed your challenge,” Fiest said. “I didn’t find it all that amusing but since your little mission does interest me, I’ll play along.”

Fiest tossed the emerald to Sonic. “Thanks, I guess.”

“Do not tell anyone of what has transpired here,” said the Dog. “At least for now.”

“But stay alert,” said the Wolf.

“Already the agent has laid the ground work,” said the Cat.

“And will stop at nothing to ensure its creator’s will,” said the Bear.

“But you have Courage and Justice on your side,” said the Bird.

“And the support of many wonderful friends,” said the Rabbit.

“May the light of creation guide you on your path,” the Titans said together as they glowed so bright Sonic had to cover his eyes.


The next thing he knew Sonic woke with a start. “Whoa, weird dream.”

Suddenly he felt something sticking into the small of his back. Sonic reached behind him and pulled out the cyan Chaos Emerald. “Ok, not a dream.”

Getting up Sonic looked out his window and saw people were already getting out on the street. “Right, Remembrance Day. Well at least until the big showdown it looks like things will be chill.”


“Scramble! Scramble!” the P.A. system announced while sirens blared. “Hostile forces inbound from the northeast! All units prepare to engage. Emergency battle formations! Standard Battle procedures initiated. Engage hostile forces and neutralize! This is not a drill! Repeat, this is not a drill!”

Hope Kintobor was hopping out of her room quickly throwing on her overalls. “Talk about a rude awakening! Not the sort of alarm clock I was expecting this morning.”

“Couldn’t the bad guys have given us another half-hour?” Rouge said coming out of her quarters while applying lipstick and brushing her eyelashes. “Beauty like this doesn’t just happen, it takes a lot of work!”

“You’re slowing us down.” Shadow said from the door to the rest of the base. “Omega and I are already set to fight.”

“Omega doesn’t have to worry about getting dressed!” Rouge said now working on eyeshadow. “And I bet you sleep with those shoes on!”

“First line Gun Hunter, Gun Hawk and Gun Beetle sentries have been destroyed!” came an announcement over the base loudspeakers. “Team Dark is to report to the main hanger to repel the enemy!”

“Shadow take this!” Hope tossed the black hedgehog a device. “A lightning shield might come in handy. I’ll see if the new Wildcat mech is ready for deployment, good luck guys!”

“Whoever these guys are must have thought Guardian Mountain would be a soft target with the Letter of Gabriel guarding the accord signing,” said Rouge.

“They should have checked if I was going to be here as well,” said Shadow. “A mistake that will cost them dearly.”


Outside the mountain Viktor Robotnick observed from a sleek, aerodynamic, flying pod while black and grey robots with red visors charged the base while the Colossus unleashed its bombardment. At his side Neo Metal Sonic hovered in midair.

“Excellent, the Neo Swats are outclassing the comparable GUN robots in every category. However, the mode change function on the Scout and Aviator models is taking zero-point-three seconds longer than anticipated to complete.”

“A negligible difference,” said Neo Metal.

“Not when going against the likes of Sonic. Cannon fodder or not I want the Neo Swats at peak efficiency when we attack Freedom City.”

“The flaw has been traced to warping in the hinges due to an error in production,” said Lilith. “Shall I have the parts replaced?”

“No, the Neo Swats are designed to be disposable. Correct the production error and get started on the next batch.”

“When shall I attack?” asked Neo Metal.

“As soon as Shadow shows himself, then you’ll attack followed by Ferrum’s allies. Meanwhile Regina and I will move in on the emeralds and Snivley.” The radar in the pod started beeping. “And here they come, Trooper models focus attacks on Shadow and Omega, Scouts are to support the attack on Shadow while the Gladiators bombard Omega, Aviators target Rouge, Neo Metal pick your targets at your own discretion, I’ll be making a break for the vault!”


Omega had been using the guns that were normally concealed in his forearms to tear apart several Neo Swats, some were little different than your common foot soldier, others were lighter but moved quickly by changing to a motorbike like form and a third type was built heavily with shoulder mounted guns but just took a few more shots from Omega.

A few bike bots slipped past Omega but were quickly mopped up by Shadow. “It looks like someone found some toys that weren’t used by the late Dr. Eggman.”

“Mass produced stock units, no match for the ultimate fighting machine.”

“I agree they are no match for me!” Neo Metal said as he jetted forward. “And now that I have been upgraded with Metallix neither are either of you!”

“Metal Sonic,” Shadow said dismissively. “Interesting new look, so who’s the wannabe world ruler you are working for this time?”

“I think I see him!” Rouge said as she was taking out Neo Swats built for flight, including being able to change into a form like a jet fighter. Her eyes however were focused on Viktor’s hovercar. “Looks like old Eggman had a fan. Better disappoint him.”

Robotnik noticed Rouge swooping down on him. “Regina if you and your pals are going to show up sooner would be better than later!”

Regina suddenly appeared next to Victor in the hovercar and shot a lightning bolt from her hand, Rouge was forced to break off to avoid it. “Relax Viktor, we’ve already won. The poor fools just haven’t realized yet.”

Viktor eyed the woman suspiciously. “Teleportation, electrical projection, your file didn’t say you can do that.”

“I’ve been learning a few tricks since I went underground. But this should be more familiar to you.” Regina shot a beam at the GUN robots who then turned and started firing on the soldiers. “That should keep them busy while we get what we came for.”

“What about Neo Metal? Metallix can only do so much and I’d rather not have my best fighter get himself scrapped!”

“My allies should be coming in about now.”

A transmission was sounded out over the GUN frequency, one that Viktor had already decoded.

“We have four bogeys approaching from the east! Three Mobians on extreme gear and…what looks like an old lady in a flying minecart!?”

Viktor looked at Regina in disbelief. “That’s your backup?”

“I admit Witchcart is a bit on the odd side, but she is one of the original Magitek mages. A lot of my new repertoire I learned from her. Don’t worry, she’ll handle that request you called in.”

“Original Magitek? But that would make her ancient!”

“Focus on the emeralds for now, I’ll give formal introductions once the job is done.”

Viktor noticed a large door. “Snivley’s cell should be a couple of levels down, the vault’s straight ahead.”

“Then we better split up for now, just be sure to pick me and Snivley up!”

After Regina vanished Viktor launched missiles at the door, several mounted turrets and GUN robots. “Out of the way cannon fodder!”


Back at the base entrance Team Dark found themselves with some new problems Shadow was now finding himself being doubled team by Neo Metal and a blue furred wolf that was able to throw energy blasts at him and wouldn’t stop laughing.

“And just what do you find so funny about this?!” Shadow said as he kicked the wolf in the stomach.

“Hehehehehe! The look that’s going to be on your face when you realize how much trouble you’re going to be in! Hehehehehe!”

Meanwhile Omega found himself grappling metal hand to claw of a huge brown grizzly. “You exhibit great strength for a flesh bag.”

“Are you making fun of me?!” roared the Bear. “Nobody insults Bearenger and tells the tale! The madder I get the stronger I am, and you just really ticked me off!!”

Bearenger started to push Omega to the ground. “Hydrualics compensating.” Omega began to work to get into a stalemate.

Up above Rouge was dogfighting a white rabbit on a hoverboard with two red ribbons tied into bows on the ends of her ears. While Rouge was trying to kick the girl off, she seemed to dodge by getting distracted and moving at the right moment. “Causing trouble is so much bliss,” said the Rabbit. “So Carrotia is gonna blow you a kiss!”

As Carrotia blew her kiss a lip shaped energy beam nearly hit Rouge and caused an explosion when it hit the ground. “How can someone so ditzy be so dangerous?”

The whole time an old woman sitting in a minecart kept aloft by rockets watched and cackled. “Everything is going as Lord Specter foresaw, guess that means I better be ready to carry out his instructions.” The witch turned to the three Mobians and the robot. “Falke, Bearenger, Carrotia fall back! You metal hog, get ready to help your boss, I have a special present for the dark one here!”

Witchcart formed a purple orb in her hand and then tossed it at Omega. The E-series stopped as the enemy disengaged. “Omega!” Rouge yelled.

“Destroy your friends for me, will you?” Witchcart cackled.

Omega’s optics had turned purple and he armed all his weapons and pointed them at Team Dark. “As the Witchcart commands!”


Snivley knew something was up when he felt explosion rock the walls, but he wasn’t informed of anything. He was just expected to run an analysis, but like every other experiment he was expected to do as part of his sentence they didn’t say what exactly he was working on making the job ten times as difficult.

Suddenly the guards that kept watch turned away and pointed their guns down the hall. “You halt!”

The guards were then thrown against a wall by an invisible force. Snivley then saw a green haired, yellow eyed woman come up to the steel door on the armored glass of the cell.

“Regina!” Snively said running to the door. “I thought when I was locked up down here, we’d never see each other again!”

“Don’t worry my Snivley, once I get you out it’ll be you and me together again.”

“Sorry, but my creep of a half-brother isn’t supposed to leave his room!” Hope shouted from the other end of the hall. “But if you give up now you might get the cell across from him so you can see each other every day.”

Regina turned and looked at the teenaged mechanic. “And how are you going to stop me, change the oil on something? Whatever it is we’re in love so back off.”

Hope mounted a device on her wrist and was surrounded by a sphere of flame. “Love? Snively doesn’t know the meaning of the word and I don’t think you do either, not really. Last chance, get out or get hurt.”

Regina smugly waved Hope on. “Try it little girl.”

Hope ran forward, her real aim just to stall till Shadow could get there but at least the shield should provide some protection.

Regina then had a wicked smile as she pointed her staff forward. “Zone Gate!”

Before she could stop herself Hope ran through a portal which then vanished.

Snivley was awestruck by the display of power Regina had never shown before. “Where did you send her?”

“To an ally outside, now stand back!”

Regina blasted the door off its hinges and then tapped a communicator. “Viktor, I have Snivley come pick us up.”

Snivley heard the somewhat familiar voice on the other end. “Yeah about that, I’m still at the vault…”


“…and the part where I get the emeralds has run into a bit of a snag.”

A quadrupedal mech much larger than the pod now had its weapons pointed at Viktor. “This is Mantis Troop, Wildcat. I have engaged the intruder, proceeding to knock him out.”

Suddenly Neo Metal flew in an launched the mech at the wall. The Wildcat rolled, landed it four feet on the wall and stuck to it perfectly.

“I take it Witchcart has freed you up to contribute to the success of my endeavor.

“Affirmative, I will handle this overdesigned piece of scrap!”

“We can’t stay too long, support my attack and work quickly! I just hope Regina and Witchcart remember to get my little souvenir.”


Hope had popped outside where she found Rouge and Shadow, with lightning shield activated trading blows with Omega. “Guys what’s wrong with Omega?”

Hope suddenly found her shield depowered then she was grabbed by the wrist and pulled up face to face with an old Overlander hag. “The same thing that just happened to your little device, one my spells.”

“So Snively’s girlfriend brought her grandma to help,” Hope huffed.

“I ain’t nobody’s grandma. My name is Wendolyn, but you probably know me better by my title, the Witchcart.”

Hope’s eyes widened in fear. “No, that’s not possible! The Witchcart is a myth, a story Overlanders told to scare misbehaving children!”

Witchcart plucked a single hair from Hope’s head and tucked it away in her pocket.

“Ow!”

“Did that feel real to you? So how exactly did you misbehave to be told my story?”

“Leave her alone, old bag!” Rouge shouted aiming a drill kick straight into Witchcart.

“Oh, so feisty and youthful!” Witchcart said as she projected a field that stopped Rouge’s momentum then grabbed her by the ankle.  “I’ve been meaning to recharge my power, it’s been over thirteen years since the last time and your youth and vitality would be perfect!”

Some sort of energy began to flow from Rouge up through her leg and into Witchcart’s hand. The Bat began screaming in pain. Shadow managed to pull himself away from fending off Omega’s attack just long enough to see what was happening. “ROUGE!”


Back in the vault Victor’s pod was firing energy blasts at the Mech as it jumped from wall to floor to ceiling while launching missiles from it shoulders, firing a nose mounted machine gun and tried to swipe and him and Neo Metal.

“This is Mantis Troop, Wildcat! Wildcat to Control! I’ve taken heavy fire, lockdown the vault! Repeat lockdown the vault!”

Regina and Snively had teleported into Viktor’s pod. “I see what the holdup is,” Regina said looking at the battlemech. “Would you like me to help you wrap this up Robotnick?”

Snively fell to the vehicle’s floor. “No, not another one! I think I’d like to go back to my cell now!”

Viktor’s eyes turned red and black as he glared at the long nosed Overlander while picking up a laser blaster. “Snively, if you want to get out of this alive, sit down and shut up! Regina help Metal Sonic finish this, I’m going for the emeralds!”

Regina sent an energy beam from her staff towards the Wildcat mech and hit it on its hind leg. The Mech began to crystalize while Neo Metal began to fly towards it is a corkscrew roll.

“Eject! Eject! Eject!”

The pilot cleared the mech before the crystals reached the cockpit. A second later Metal Sonic flew through the crystalized mech shattering it. “Now for the organic.”

“We don’t have time!” Viktor yelled as he blasted open a safe then removed the green and red Chaos Emeralds from inside. “We got what we came for, let’s go!”

Regina held her pointer and middle fingers to her forehead. “Witchcart we have the emeralds, wrap up whatever you’re doing and bring your Witchcarters to the Colossus.”

“Witchcart?!!” Snively yelled. “She’s real?! Regina what have you gotten yourself into!?”

Viktor jumped back into the pod. “A mutually beneficial partnership. All surviving troops, initiate transmat recall!”

A second later Neo Metal Sonic, the flying pod and its occupants had vanished from the vault.


Witchcart was still holding Rouge and Hope when she reacted like she heard something. “Looks like it’s time for us to leave Witchcarters. As for you Shadow, since you’re the hero I’ll let you decide, which damsel in distress will you save?”

Witchcart threw Rouge into the air and from the way she was spinning she wouldn’t be able to pull out of the tumble into flight in time. Then the Witchcarters hopped onto their extreme gear and followed Witchcart towards the Colossus with Hope in tow.

“I’ll be ok!” Hope yelled. “Save Rouge!”

Shadow looked at Witchcart and the Colossus behind her. “You’ll pay for this, that is a promise!” He then ran off to catch the falling bat.

By the time Shadow caught Rouge the Neo Swats had vanished, Omega and the GUN robots returned to normal and the Colossus had speed off. “Reboot complete,” said Omega. “External control influence purged, new objective designated: payback.”

Rouge coughed. “Not exactly my best performance.” Shadow’s expression had worried her as did strange pitch of her own voice. “Shadow, what’s wrong, why does my voice sound so…” Rouge managed to catch a glimpse in the rearview mirror of a burning jeep of an elderly female bat with white fur. “Old?!”

Rouge left Shadow’s hold and took a closer look in the mirror, whatever Witchcart did to her she seemed to have aged sixty years. Her skin was wrinkled, her breasts sagging, her abdomen swollen, her joints and bones aching, and she was hunched over. “What, what did that witch do to me?! AHHHHHH!” Rouge suddenly clutched her chest in pain and collapsed to the ground.

“She has gone into cardiac arrest,” said Omega. “Multiple internal systems failures detected, chances of survival, minimal.”

“You will be abandoned,” the voice of Black Doom echoed inside of Shadow’s mind like something from a forgotten nightmare. “One by one your friends will abandon you or die, until the whole world is against you. They will fear you and you must rule over them lest they lock you away like the monster they fear you are, for all eternity.”

Shadow felt his own heart race. “Rouge, Maria. I won’t let that happen. I am no tyrant, I will protect those who matter to me! My destiny is my own! This is who I am!”

Shadow removed his limiter rings then knelt and placed his hands over Rouge’s heart. “CHAOS HEAL!!!!”

Rouge was having her life flash before her eyes. A spoiled child whose wealthy parents gave her everything she wanted, that same child dressed in black screaming that people were putting her parents into boxes leaving her alone. The robots coming and burning her big house to the ground, the child as she began to steal just to have enough to eat and stay warm. Growing into beauty as she got good enough to steal the jewels she always loved as a child sparking a growing rivalry with a certain weasel and fox duo. Meeting Sonic and Shadow, the bad alliances that began to drag down her reputation. Her, Shadow and Omega joining GUN, forming Team Dark and befriending Hope, making her feel for the first time in so many years she had a family. But now she was at the end.

Suddenly she felt a warm light entering her, pulling her back from the brink. Her vision began to clear, she was looking at Shadow who was panting heavily.

“Shadow?” Rouge found her voice now had its usual timbre. She quickly stroked her skin to find it as smooth as it usually was. Taking a compact out from her suit the looked in the mirror inside to find her youth was restored. “Shadow, you did this for me? How?”

Shadow seemed to have steam evaporate from him as the black hedgehog collapsed.

“SHADOW! I need I medic here, now!”


On the Colossus Viktor, Regina and Snively climbed out of the flying pod while Metal Sonic touched down. “Congratulations Viktor,” Lilith said from a nearby terminal. “With the objective obtained and our forces experiencing only a 20% casualty rate against such a large force with including high level threats like Shadow the first offensive of the Robotnik Ascendency is a resounding success.”

“Thanks in large part to the magical assistance we provided,” said Regina. “But it was only to get a handle on the difference of numbers and to deal with the heavy hitters, we’d never have been able to pull this off on our own.”

“In time I’ll be capable of more,” said Robotnick. “Especially once I receive my weapon.”

“Uh, uh, uh. We still have four more emeralds to gather.”

Viktor’s eyes became red and black. “The deal was for four emeralds not six!”

“A unique opportunity has presented itself, my employer has learned that two more emeralds will be brought into the city, but only if we carry out this next attack by this evening.”

“You expect me to replenish my forces, complete the other three Neo Metal robots, get all the way to Freedom City and attack it in the same day?”

“Can’t handle it?”

Viktor’s eyes became blue again as he smirked. “For me easy, but we can’t spare a moment. Lilith set course for Freedom City.”

“Right away Viktor.”

“I’m still confused,” said Snivley. “Who are you exactly?”

“Remember that little project of your uncle’s that you sabotaged to make sure he wouldn’t come back? Eggman revived it, and I took over from the inside. Although if you hadn’t sabotaged Project Cicada I would never have been programmed, in a way I owe my very existence to you.”

“I guess that makes me your father.”

Viktor flicked Snivley’s nose in the same way his predecessors did. “Don’t push it,” Viktor turned back to Regina. “He’s all yours.”

“Sadly, my employer has other plans. He wants Snivley to stay here to assist you and act as a liaison between us.”

“Not again…” moaned Snivley. “Can’t you make him reconsider?”

Regina leaned into Snively’s ear with a panicked expression. “Trust me when I say my new boss is someone you don’t want to get on the bad side of! The rewards are magnificent, but he does not like it when you question this Grand Design he follows!”

“Snively relax,” said Viktor. “I believe you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar, as long as you are loyal and perform well enough, I reward my followers. What were you to your uncle and Eggman? In the end a measly assistant given just enough power to be marginally useful. However, play your cards right and you can taste real power.”

“I’ve heard that one before,” Snivley grumbled. “It usually ended with me being abused, left for dead or locked up.”

“And you responded with betrayal. I learned from my predecessor’s mistakes, I treat you well and you have no reason to turn against me.”

Snivley thought in silence trying to see the trap but couldn’t find any flaw in Viktor’s reasoning.

“Stick with me and I’ll give you a corner of Mobius to call your very own. Ever hear of New Cesarea?”

“I can’t say I have.”

“I’ve been doing research into what information on the old-world humanity managed to preserve. New Cesarea was a great and prosperous state before Earth became Mobius. I have a plan that will help me take over this world and a weapon your sweet Regina is willing to give me to carry it out. Once it is complete you will be near the top of my forces in the new order and New Cesarea’s lands will be yours. So, what do you say Grand Marshal Snivley?”

“G-G-Grand Marshal? You’re serious?!”

Viktor’s smile was like that of a shark. “Deadly.”

“Well, since the alternative is multiple life sentences in solitary confinement or worse, I really have nothing to lose.”

“I knew you were smarter than your uncle gave you credit for.”

“Speaking of rewards,” said Lilith. “Did you get that little something I asked you pick up while you were down there?”

“Oh, yes the hag was supposed to get it. Witchcart, do you have what I asked you get!?”

The doors to an accompanying hangar opened and Witchcart came strolling in with her minions right behind, but Bearenger was also holding the struggling Hope.

 “Let me go, you oversized smelly brute!”

“Smelly?” the grizzly growled before tossing Hope to the floor. “I already had my bath this month!”

“The whole enchilada,” said Lilith.

Viktor grumbled as he approached Witchcart. “I asked for a DNA sample, not a prisoner!”

 “I got that too,” Witchcart said offering the hair she plucked from Hope earlier.

“That’s not the point!” Viktor yelled taking the hair. “That black hedgehog is going to hunt me down to get her back! I can’t let her go without exposing my location and if I eliminate her Shadow will probably do the same to me!”

“I had to make him choose between saving two of his comrades in order to escape.”

“You just put this whole operation in jeopardy!”

“Not according to Lord Specter,” Witchcart cackled. “He said to make sure you hold onto the girl.”

Viktor smirked. “So, your boss now has a name. Want to go for bonus points and tell me why he is gathering individuals with magical ability or did you think I wouldn’t notice from Regina’s improved power?”

Before either Regina or Witchcart could answer or refuse Hope tried to give a swift kick to Viktor while he was distracted. The scientist had moved to block on instinct.

“Nice try, but I have memorized about two hundred forms of martial arts. Your devolved limbic system couldn’t hope to match.”

“Devolved?!”

“Compared to an enhanced human body like this one. One of the Overlanders’ most prominent traits, the ability to regulate adrenaline and cortisol can at times barely keep up. Once you get angry it can be hard to stop, I bet you feel like you are ready to explode!”

Hope clenched her fist but then took a few deep breaths then looked Viktor square in the eye. “It’s something we’ve had to deal with our whole lives. It brought us to brink of ruin several times, but I won’t let you use my anger to manipulate me.”

Viktor simply smiled. “That’s my girl.”

“Why would you call me that?”

“Your Father, Colin Kintobor Sr., was an excellent physical specimen whose genome was close enough to his brother’s that it was easy incorporate his traits into this body. Julian had the brains, Colin had the brawn, now I have both. Genetically you could say I am your father.”

Hope turned away in disgust. “It takes more than DNA to make family. Snivley and I share bits of those genes you’re so proud of, but a hedgehog, a bat and a robot have been more family to me than he ever was. As far as I’m concerned, you’re just a thief who stole from a man who was deeply flawed but still better than you can ever hope to splice yourself into being.”

Robotnick shrugged. “Very well then, you’ve chosen your family and I am making mine.” Viktor put the hair into a test tube before putting it back into his pocket. “All I needed was your genome for Lilith, she wanted her body based on a Maria Robotnick and the information we had said your genetic code would fill in the gaps we needed.”

“But I am planning on making several improvements,” said Lilith. “I think I’ll make for a much smarter, stronger and more beautiful ‘you’ than you will turn out to be.”

“Metal take our ‘guest’ to a holding cell, once I drop this sample off in the cloning lab, I’ll meet you back in robotics to finish upgrading your ‘comrades’. Snively you should know your way around an Egg Carrier, find some quarters to your liking than make yourself at home. I’ll find a task for you after we attack Freedom City.”

“Witchcart and I have other preparations to make,” said Regina. “But we’ll contact you once we’ve finalized our attack plan. I’ll speak to you soon my dear Snively.”

“I’m looking forward to it my beloved Regina,” the toady said back.

Witchcart spread her hand in front of her and a portal appeared. “Witchcarters with me.”

Soon the two mages and their minions had stepped through and vanished as the rest moved to their destinations. Once Viktor was alone in a hallway his communicator beeped. “Viktor, I have questions,” said Lilith.

“If it’s about your body you’ll have to be patient. Even with the advances Project Cicada provides clones aren’t built in day.” Viktor laughed at his personal joke.

“I understand but that wasn’t my question. You promised Snively New Cesarea, I have checked the available data and have found it was more commonly known as ‘New Jersey’ not that large of a territory and one heavily polluted by the factories Ivo Robotnick had in the area.”

“Snivley doesn’t need to know that yet. I only said I reward loyalty, I never said how much. It’s still better than what he had before so I think he’ll learn to count his blessings.”

“Very well, one final question. The two other projects you began work on yesterday, your notes say you are still missing one component to project Delta.”

“I plan to acquire it in the Freedom City attack, if we’re lucky no one will notice we’ve picked it up in the confusion of what else would be missing.”


Sonic came to the entrance to a cemetery, Sally had several baskets of five petaled yellow flowers at her feet. The rest of the team had yet to arrive, but a large purple cat and his pet frog had shown up.

“Hey Big it’s been a while,” said Sonic. “How’s the fishing in Freedom City?”

The cat gave a big thumbs up.

Sally gave a short bow. “Big, I’m sorry for what Eggman’s brainbox did to you, one of the gentlest people I know and because of my misguided attempt to fix the world you became a nasty brute. I hope someday you can forgive me for…”

Big put a hand on Sally’s head. “Already did.”

“Even when dealing with trauma the guy’s laid back,” said Sonic. “Maybe there’s something we can all learn from him.”

Sally turned her gaze on the flower basket. “This is one of my favorite flowers, Julayla called it ‘The Light of Hope’. They can grow even where other flowers can’t survive and have come to symbolize resilience and, well hope.”

Sonic nodded and took one of the flowers. “I heard there’s one growing back at the old Resistance hideout now it’s no longer being used. I never got why these were always laid on graves on Remembrance Day though, why would the dead need hope?”

“It’s not so they can have hope, it’s to acknowledge that they have GIVEN hope to us through their sacrifices. Everyone who passed in a previous war should already have one on their graves but its customary for friends and loved ones to do the same. I’m going to put one on Julayla’s grave, I know she’d love that, anyone you’re honoring?”

“Tommy Turtle. To think when we were little, I made fun of the guy, almost a borderline bully to him. Then he sacrificed himself to stop A.D.A.M., I never told anyone but that was the closest I have ever come to giving up or at least it was before those six months on the Death Egg…”

“Sonic if it gets too much for you…”

“It’s alright, I vented remember?” Sonic turned to Big. "Anyone you are giving a flower to?”

Big waved out to the cemetery. “Done.”

“Buddy, your heart might be the biggest part of you.”

Tails, Amy, Rotor, Antonie and Bunnie came up and took some flowers. Rotor and Antione each took one while Amy and Bunnie took two each and Tails got three.

“Mornin’ yall,” said Bunnie. “So, who’re giving your flowers too?”

Tails looked at a tall stone in the cemetery. “I’m going to lay these at the common monument for Sir Connery, Eddy the Yeti and Doctor Nate Morgan. It’s sad he practically brought the Mobians out of the dark ages all by himself and nobody talks about him anymore.”

“Well he was never one for attention,” said Sonic. “Still he did deserve better.”

“Yeah pretty much the same for Eddy as his assistant, with Sir Connery well he was Uncle Merlin’s friend and since he’s not here right now it felt only right that I did this in his stead.”

Sally turned to Antione and Rotor. “I take it yours are for your fathers?”

The two nodded. “I had a bad dream about him,” said Rotor. “In it he…wasn’t the nicest guy, now he died when I was little, but I knew that couldn’t be right.”

“Must just be jitters,” Sonic said recalling a world where that dream was cold hard reality.

Antione choked up. “To think it may have been Patch who poisoned him, but my father’s killer was still me, another version of me but…”

“I’m sure he’d never hold it against you Sugah-Twan,” said Bunnie. “If anything, he’d probably have the same doubts as you, that another version of him could have a hand in shaping that monster.”

“Merci, who are your flowers for?”

Bunnie looked to the same monument as Tails. “Ma and Pa.”

“Didn’t they fight for the other side?” asked Sonic.

“They did, but Remembrance Day isn’t about sides. Uncle Beau and Aunt Lulu told me the four of them were best friends growing up, but they just had a serious falling out about how the Kingdom treated the Southern Baronies and they were all more concerned about who was right rather than sticking together. If that didn’t happen then maybe I would have gotten to really know the good parts of Jedidiah and Suzanne Rabbot, but now if they just knew that I forgive them perhaps they can rest a little easier.”

“I’m going there too,” said Amy. “For my own mom and dad, so you aren’t alone.”

“Alright,” said Sally. “We best be off honoring the fallen, Vanilla wanted us to meet her and Cream here before we left, then we have some time before the official reunion.”

“In that case we better not keep our friends waiting,” said Sonic.

The team dispersed on their own personal missions.


Hershey laid her flower at a gravestone marked “Cocoa Cat” and wiped a tear from under the shades that went with the hat and trench coat of her disguise. After a few moments of silence, she turned to the grave next to it with morbid fascination. It was marked “Hershey St. John” and had three flowers on it. “One from the people, one from Uncle Mars, but a third…Geoffrey was here,” she whispered.

“Then it means Harvey’s probably right about you distracting him long enough for us to take him prisoner,” said Elias.

“I’m hoping it won’t come to that. I don’t like having to wait, I want to go right up to Naugus, claw his eyes out and take Geoff back.”

“Harvey’s right, the best chance we have to stop Naugus is to take his advantage away when he needs it the most. You do understand that Geoff’s probably going to be imprisoned for a long time, his change of heart isn’t going to let him off the hook completely. Maybe you should start thinking about moving on with your life.”

“If it was Megan would you want to just move on?”

Elias thought back to the previous night when Megan told him he was going to be a father again, of a child he conceived with her. “No, I wouldn’t. Maybe, I could make a case for exile instead of imprisonment, that way you could be with him while he serves his sentence.”

“Thank you. After Drago tricked me into almost killing your sister, I nearly did the same to him before Sally stopped me. I was always weak, but Geoffery showed me how I could be strong, he saved me, now I have to return the favor.”

“Did he ever tell you anything about this deal with Naugus?”

“No, I still can’t believe it, it sounds like something a different person would do. Maybe he just wanted to spare me, we all have secrets after all. If only I had come back sooner…”

“What happened to you, where were you for all this time?”

Hershey shook. “I’d rather not say, I had to do some things I’m not proud of to make it back here. We all have secrets remember?”

Elias backed away. “Fine, it isn’t important right now. You should get back to Harvey.”

While Elias started moving away Hershey took another look at her Cocoa’s gravestone. “Mother, I am so sorry,” she whispered. “I know what’s at stake, but I can’t lose him again…” She then turned left quietly.


The Freedom Fighters had gathered at the large monument where Cream, Cheese, Chocola and Vanilla were waiting. The elder rabbit was holding five of the same flowers and nodded as they came close. “Thank you for coming, being such good friends with Cream I knew it’d be important for you to be here.” She then turned to her daughter. “Cream, the way you stood up to protect others but still kept that gentle spirit, I couldn’t be prouder of you. But since you are a freedom fighter, it’s time you learned the truth.”

“Truth?” Cream asked. “But you wouldn’t lie to me.”

“No, I never lied, but there was something I kept from you. I wanted to wait until you were older but with how much you have already grown, you need to know now. You see once a upon a time…”

Vanilla took out a pair of photographs she kept one behind the other but the one that could be seen had six Mobians in it, one of them was clearly Vanilla but instead of her usual reserved form of dress she wore a small white tank top and a pair of jean shorts that didn’t even go halfway down her thighs with a hole for her cottontail. She was looking at the Mobian next to her, a grey rabbit in a red jacket and blue jeans carrying what looked like a high tech pugil stick, in a way that could only be described as sultry.

“…I was a Freedom Fighter.”

Cream gasped. “You? But you hate fighting.”

“This is you!?” said Amy. “If you didn’t say so, I’d sworn you were two different people.”

“I know not every division reported back to Knothole,” said Sally. “But I’d think I would have known if you were a Freedom Fighter.”

“You’re right about us not reporting to you your majesty,” said Vanilla. “The Wild Bunch, as we called ourselves got started the same year Robotnick took over, when most of you were still little. I was raised the same way I’ve tried to raise Cream but at the time I didn’t want to be lady-like, so I ran off. Between hearing about what Robotnick was doing and meeting up with the others, it felt like the perfect escape. We felt to be real Freedom Fighters we shouldn’t have to answer to anyone, so we just did our own thing, helped where we could and had the wildest parties.”

Cream looked flabbergasted. “Mother, this, this isn’t like you at all!”

“It’s not now but back then…It wasn’t until later I grew to respect what my parents were trying to do for me. Since then I laid low and distanced myself from my past mindset. But that was what I call my wild girl phase, and these were my best friends.”

Vanilla pointed to a pig in the photo with a black leather jacket and jeans. “Porker Lewis, while he was a bit cowardly, he was a wiz with computers and great behind the wheel of almost any vehicle and he was often the voice of reason among us.”

She then pointed to a green feathered canary with a red and black sweater and blue mini skirt. “Tekno, my best friend in the team and a master of anything mechanical or electronic. Absolutely fearless and passionate in whatever she did, there were no such things as half measures to her. She was the one who gave me the nickname the gang had for me, Nilly.”

Next was a completely black cat in purple robes and gold jewelry. “Ebony was an exceptionally gifted magician, while focused and disciplined she knew when to let her hair down. She…was the one who first introduced me to the Chao, I never would have made a chao garden at our old home if it wasn’t for her.”

“Chao…” Cheese and Chocola said together.

Vanilla moved on to a Robian squirrel. “Shorty or Shortfuse as we came to call him was roboticized in those first days, but something went ‘wrong’ with it causing him to keep his free will. The rest of us said it was because he was too stubborn to be controlled, he had a hair-trigger temper but usually pointed it in the right direction and he was fiercely loyal.”

As Vanilla came to the grey rabbit the tears she was holding back flowed freely now. “J-J-Johnny Lightfoot was our leader, our anchor and the glue that held us together…” she stopped and just sobbed.

“Mother are you ok?” Cream concerned. “We can stop now…”

Vanilla got a hold of herself, but tears were still coming. “I’m sorry but this is very important, especially for you Cream. Johnny was also my heart, my soul, the one love of my life…” Vanilla moved the second photo in front of the first. The group was the same but with two noticeable differences, Johnny and Vanilla had wedding rings on their fingers and together they held a small baby rabbit. “Cream…Johnny was your father.”

Cream began to get misty eyed. “F-father…? I…I always wondered, but I could tell. Something about him made you so sad.”

Vanilla looked off to the distant sky. “There was something about him when we met, brave, always willing to lend a hand, noble to a fault I just felt myself drawn, to him and his cause. Some said he was a bland goody two-shoes with no sense of fun, but I got to know him better than anyone and I knew he had passion but never let it control him. When we got married, with our friends there for the ceremony we so happy, then our wedding night…” Suddenly Vanilla’s face was more like the sultry rabbit in the first photo. “I learned that despite what others would say Johnny Lightfoot was not dull.”

Cream practically turned red. “M-mother! I’m not sure I should be hearing this!”

Vanilla also blushed. “Oh sorry, it’s just I was remembering about the wonderful thing that eventually led to you. I tried not to think about your father or the others for so long, but I guess I needed tell you as much as you needed to hear. Cream, what you have done with the Freedom Fighters, your father would have been so proud.”

Tails then noticed something. “Wait there were six of you and you brought five flowers, does that mean…?”

Vanilla looked back at the photo. “Yes, I’m the only member of the Wild Bunch left.”

Cream was crying freely. “H-how did Father…?”

Vanilla had look of disgust along with her tears. “Robotnick wasn’t our only enemy, this man who called himself Grimer, an Overlander scientist whose own experiments mutated his body and twisted his mind, it seemed like we had stop him just as often. Four years before Robotnick was defeated, a few months after you were born Cream, Johnny let me go have a night out with the girls while he watched you. I left Tekno and Ebony to powder my nose and Grimer kidnapped me and took me to his base. He had finally perfected a formula he was obsessed with, a gas that could mutate anyone who breathed it and produced enough of it to cover the whole of Mobius.

“Naturally the Wild Bunch found out and tried to put a stop to it, but Grimer wanted revenge before he fulfilled his insane dream of turning every non-roboticized lifeform into horrific monsters. So Grimer drew them in and just when Johnny found my cell… Grimer flooded it with the gas.”

“Oh, my stars,” said Bunnie.

Vanilla looked ashamed. “My, my mind and body became twisted, a savage beast that only vaguely resembled or thought like me.  I tried to hurt, kill my friends while they tried to administer the antidote managed to make. Not even Shorty’s robotic strength or Ebony’s most powerful spells could slow me down. But Johnny did the one thing that did slow me down enough for Porker to inject me with the antidote, something that if it was any other time, I would have made him sleep on the couch for a month at least for doing, he brought our baby to Grimer’s base.”

“I was there?” asked Cream.

Vanilla nodded. “I don’t know what it was you recognized about me, maybe it was my smell or pure instinct, but you reached out for me as you cried. I, remembered you, didn’t want to hurt you. Once I was back to normal, I held you tight for fear of what I might have done to you. Grimer was furious, set his gas to be dispersed and cover Mobius in hours. I was so weak from the antidote, as soon we found Grimer your father shoved me into an escape pod and locked it.

“Grimer used his gas on himself turning into a hulking abomination, as tired as they were from fighting me, I quickly knew that they’d couldn’t straight up beat him. But together they managed to set the base to blow, destroying the gas and managed to hold the Grimer monster off. Johnny spoke to me just before he launched the pod, said my mission now was to make sure our daughter grew up to be happy and healthy, that from what he heard about you Sonic that you would take care of the rest.”

Sonic looked down at his shoes. “Sounds like he was great guy, I wish we could have met.”

“As the escape pod flew off all I could hear was Grimer screaming about ‘his beautiful creation’. The way the reactor blew, there was no way any of them could have survived. I cried so much, never wanted to fight ever again, I also remembered my mission and made that the focus of my life.”

“Father he loved both us, didn’t he?” asked Cream.

“With all his heart, there was so much he wanted to do with you. Give you piggy back rides, help you with school work, read you bedtime stories, when I did those things with you, I always imagined that he was with us in spirit.”

Vanilla laid the flowers at the monument’s base. “Porker, Shorty, Ebony, Tekno…Johnny…thank you, for everything.”

Sally gave a spare flower she had to Cream who laid it down at the monument. “Father I wish I could have known you. But thank you, thank you so much.”

Suddenly Sally’s communicator went off. “Princess, I need you to get the Freedom Fighters to the Sky Patrol immediately!” Chuck said from the other end.

Sally answered the device. “What’s wrong?”

“Robotnick made his move, he’s attacked GUN Headquarters! I’m going to patch us into a briefing between the base and the Letter of Gabriel at the Sky Patrol’s briefing room. They’ve agreed to wait until you arrive to start but it’d be best not to dawdle.”

“Do they need help?”

“I’m afraid the attack’s already over, there seems to only be minor injuries thankfully, but Viktor managed to escape with Snively and two Chaos Emeralds, he’s also taken Hope Kintobor hostage.”

“We’re on our way!” Sally shut the communicator off and turned to her team. “Looks like our Remembrance Day plans will have to wait, we must try use this info to figure out Viktor’s next move before Naugus and Charlemagne’s duel. Are you with me?”

“As if you have to ask,” said Sonic.

“Till the very end!” said Tails.

“Oui!” said Antione.

“Anytime Sugah!” cried Bunnie.

“That jerk won’t know what hit him!” said Amy.

“Let’s throw a wrench into his scheme!” said Rotor.

“Um-hm!” Big nodded.

“…It’s what Mother and Father would do!” said Cream. “I’m not going to let them down!”

“Chao!” went Cheese.

Vanilla smiled. “As sweet as you are it’s times like this that remind me you are your father’s daughter.”

“Thank you, Vanilla,” said Sally. “Listen there’s going to be a Freedom Fighter reunion this afternoon and after hearing your story I think you should be there to represent the Wild Bunch. We’ll try to make it ourselves.”

Vanilla gasped but then gave a short bow. “It would be my honor Princess.”

“Come on we’re wasting time!” said Sonic. “Let’s move!”

The Blue Blur then lived up to his name and speed off.


Minutes later the Freedom Fighters were gathered around table in the Sky Patrol’s conference room. The table’s holographic projector shown two images, one was of GUN commander Abraham Tower the other was Shadow and Rouge sitting on a doctor’s examination table. Shadow seemed to be a bit shaky in his movements.

“Thank you joining us Princess,” said Commander Tower. “I’m sorry your Remembrance Day had to be interrupted but we appreciate whatever you can tell us about this ‘Viktor Robotnick’.”

“The security of the Republic is at stake,” said Sally. “And we won’t abandon our allies in the United Federation.”

“Very well, agents Shadow and Rouge, I heard that you both went through a tough time, but it is important that you give us that report.”

“Thank you, commander,” said Rouge. “At 0700 hours local time Guardian Mountain was attacked by Robotnick’s ship, the Colossus and several new models of swat bot.”

A new image appeared of the four Neo Swat models.

“Mister Perfect’s been busy,” said Sonic. “He must have had the plans for these bots made even before he got his new body.”

“The new models were no match the three of us,” said Shadow. “But he had a couple more aces up his sleeve. First was a new model of Metal Sonic,”

The image of the Swat Bots changed to that of Neo Metal Sonic. “Looks like the nastiest one yet,” said Rotor. “So, he gave you a run for your money?”

“We probably would have got him to run but then came his second ace,” said Rouge. “He had help from Regina Ferrum and some guys we’ve never seen before.”

“Well Regina is in love with Snively,” said Nicole. “But what about these newcomers?”

The image of Metal Sonic changed one more time to that of three Mobians and an elderly Overlander woman.

Tails bolted up from his seat. “No way! Witchcart, she’s back!”

“Witchcart!?” said Commander Tower. “I remember telling my son and granddaughter stories about her, a witch that kidnaps unsuspecting children, but she’s just an Overlander folktale. You say you’ve encountered her before son?”

Tails nodded. “It was while I was taking my submarine to figure out my place in the Freedom Fighters. At a place called Metal Island I came across a bunch of Badnicks that were forcing the population to dig up ruins, not taking them off to be roboticized. I investigated and found that Witchcart had used what I now realize was Magitek to control them. I had to fight off her and her Witchcarters; Falke Wolf, Bearenger and Carrotia; to set the people free. I managed to trick them into a trap I set and Witchcart begged me to forgive her…I was willing to let them go but it was a ruse to try to finish me off. I dodged her spell and it reflected off a nearby mirror and imprisoned her and the Witchcarters in crystal. I didn’t want it to end that way but there was nothing I could do.”

“Well it looks like someone or something got them out of their prison,” said Sally. “We’ll have to contact Metal Island and see if they can find any clues about how they escaped.”

Commander Tower nodded. “You may continue Agent Rouge.”

“Regina and Witchcart turned our own robots against us, including Omega, leaving a gap for Regina and Robotnick to infiltrate the base. It seems like Regina sent Hope to Witchcart while breaking Snively out of max security while Viktor and Metal Sonic destroyed out new Wildcat mech and took our Chaos Emeralds. Witchcart kidnapped Hope, I tried to stop her but…” Rouge shivered. “She did something to me, it was like she drained my youth away in seconds. If it weren’t for Shadow…”

“I don’t know how, but I had this sudden feeling it was a turning point for me,” said Shadow. “So, I used my full power to try to undo the damage that was done to Rouge, it worked but it came at a cost for me. According the doctors here I used so much power I ended up damaging the Black Arms part of my DNA that kept me in a constant state. I’m no longer immortal, I’ve started to age like the rest of you and one day I will die.”

“Shadow…” Rouge said with tears. “You did this for me, I… I never had anyone look out for me like that since my parents died. I…I can never repay you for this.”

“What’s done is done, that’s all there is to it. The Colossus vanished off radar after that, now we have to find Viktor so we can get Hope back.”

“Well if Viktor is gathering Chaos Emeralds then we’ll have to be on guard,” said Sally. “With the yellow emerald powering a special healing device at our hospital, the blue emerald kept secure by the council and Naugus in possession of the purple emerald three of Robotnick’s targets are here in Freedom City. We’ll have to get the city’s defenses prepared.”

Sonic became more keenly aware of the cyan emerald the Titans gave him he hid among his quills.

“Team Dark, I want you on the fastest transport you can get to here ASAP,” said Commander Tower. “With the president coming for the accord signing the day after tomorrow and these emeralds in Robotnick’s sights we have to make sure security is optimized.”

“Understood,” said Shadow. “We should get there after sunset your time.”

“Something about zhis doesn’t make sense,” said Antione. “Both Eggman and Robotnick hated magic, Regina I can understand but why would Viktor ally himself with zhis Witchcart?”

“Viktor does have an inflated sense of himself but he’s also a utilitarian,” said Sally. “Anyone and anything he can use he will, the magic of others is nothing more than a tool he can use and if necessary, dispose of.”

“Well between the city’s own defenses, the Letter of Gabriel and all of the Freedom Fighters gathering here for the accord signing Robotnick will find Freedom City to be a much tougher nut to crack,” said Tails. “Not only that with Lucian, Charlemagne and… Fiona, we have a good amount of magic on our side too.”

“Not to mention me,” said Amy. “Now me learning more about this potential they said I have is even more important. I’ll going to my first magic lesson with Lucian as soon as we’re done here.”

“Just be careful,” said Sonic. “Maybe not all Ixis magic is evil but a lot of it is so make sure he picks your lessons with that in mind.”

Amy nodded.

“I guess all we can do for now is warn the city’s defense force and wait,” said Sally. “Once Team Dark gets here Commander Tower, I’d like you to meet with the council about setting up a defense strategy.”

“You can count on it,” said the Commander. “With that, this briefing is now adjourned.”

The hologram turned off. “Well, I better check in on Nikki before the reunion,” said Rotor. “Do my tusks look shiny enough? I don’t want Sealia to think I’m a slob or something.”

“You look great Mr. Rotor,” said Cream. “I’m sure she’ll be happy to see you.”

“We’ll we’re going shopping,” said Bunnie. “Like it or not Remembrance Day has some of the best sales and I think Sally-girl could use some retail therapy.”

“But…” Sally said.

Antione waved a finger at her. “No buts! Except when you slept after being de-roboticized you’ve been going full tilt zince yesterday morning. Take some time to enjoy yourself, we think it’ll refresh your mind and spirit.”

The chipmunk sighed. “You’re right, I was even up half the night getting what I knew into the report for the council. An hour or two before the reunion shouldn’t hurt things, besides it’s been a while since I had a new outfit.”

The coyote nodded. “I’ll be coming along,” Antione said brushing his jacket. “I think I need zome variety, something other zhan uniforms.”

Tails got up. “Well, I better get started on rebuilding the Tornado, again.”

Big got up and slung his rod over his shoulder.  Sonic turned to him with a nod. “Trying to see if you can catch a few before the reunion? Can’t blame ya, I think I’ll race through the streets for a bit and get the blood pumping.”

As the Freedom Fighters left Sonic lingered a bit and pulled out his Chaos Emerald. “On top of everything else I have to find the agent of some ancient force for these Chaos Titans. I wonder the vibes I was getting around Lucian, Fiona and Charlemagne, could it be that Charlie is this agent? And if he is just what is he planning?”

Chapter 8: Reunions and Rumbles

Summary:

The Chaotix arrive at Freedom City, Sally has an unexpected encounter while shopping, a reunion of the Freedom Fighters leads to unexpected revelations, while Charlemagne and Naugus have their duel Geoffrey is confronted by the Secret Freedom Fighters and Hershey with both leading to a surprising turn of events.

Chapter Text

Chapter 7

Reunions and Rumbles

Sonic was zipping through the streets occasionally checking the time. “Alright, so Robotnick wants the Chaos Emeralds for some reason and I just happen to have one because of Chaos Titans said I’ll need it to save my friends soon, who might be in danger because I have the emerald in the first place. For guys who are presenting themselves as some sort of advanced super beings I don’t think they thought this all the way through.”

Sonic turned a corner and came back to New Spring Park. Now that it wasn’t needed for a risky magic ritual, he could appreciate how nice it really looked. “Well no use worrying about it now, what I need is to find something interesting before the reunion.”

Suddenly a warp ring appeared nearby and the Chaotix stepped out. “Ask and you shall receive,” Sonic said with a grin. “I bet you guys are here for something interesting.”

Knuckles reached his hand out to Sonic. “Well seeing as we were technically Freedom Fighters when I led the Resistance, we figured we’d come to this reunion. Besides right now we’re just waiting on a hit in our search for Finitivus and Thrash.”

Sonic took his hand. “If there’s anything I can do to help just ask.”

Knuckles sighed and looked away. “Sonic, I know it’s probably way too late for this but… I’m sorry I didn’t help you try to get Sally back when this whole mess began. If had helped you back then, maybe Julie and Saffron would be…”

“Probably still in the same predicament, there’s no way to know for sure so no use in fretting over it. Besides Sal’s back so as far as I’m concerned, we’re cool.”

“That’s news to us,” said Charmy. “It must have happened recently, we were out of contact for the last day.”

Sonic chuckled. “Buddy, that’s just the beginning, what say we swap what we were up to yesterday?”

A few minutes later…

“…And that’s more or less the whole story.”

“Robotnick clones, Ixis wizards, a plot from the future, duels for the throne, GUN HQ attacked, good thing you’re a great runner because that was a marathon of excitement,” said Vector.

“But perhaps part of it is something we can use,” said Espio. “Fiona did run with the Destructix for a while, she could tell us what happened to Moebius and might help us find Finitivus.”

“Doubt it,” said Sonic. “According to Lucian she can’t remember anything from her last trip there.”

Still she might know hideouts the Destructix could still be using, along with Thrash,” said Knuckles.

“I don’t know,” said Sonic. “I haven’t talked to her since she was exposed or when she recovered from the hospital.”

“Mighty, you and Ray knew her,” said Liza. “I bet she’d be more willing to confide in the two of you.”

Mighty shook his head. “It’s not anything special. Yeah, we spent three years as in the same prison Robotnick threw us in, but we were never close. We were all kids at the time, couple of boys and a girl, we probably just thought the other had cooties or something.”

“Or still think in Ray’s case!” laughed Relic.

Rey huffed. “Hey, I’m only still a kid because that power stone skipped me five years to the future! And I don’t think girls have cooties! I’m… just not interested in them yet.”

“What about Matilda?”

Ray gagged. “Hey, she’s practically a sister to me! I would never do that to Mighty!”

Mighty clenched a fist. “Tilly, Ray, Fiona…I was never strong enough to save any of you back then, I only have the power I do now because Mammoth Mogul thought he could use me later. Sure, I was able to save you Ray and together we reached Tilly but Fiona…I doubt she wants to see me, we’d be better off if you got Sally to ask for us.”

“Mighty, you shouldn’t beat yourself up over what you failed to do,” said Relic. “But if it makes you uncomfortable…”

“No, there’s no harm in trying,” Mighty turned to Sonic. “Think Sally could set up a meeting?”

Sonic took out a communicator. “Hang on, I’ll ask. Still a whole lot’s going on today, you might have to wait until tomorrow.” Sonic turned the Communicator on. “Hey Sal, got a moment?”


Antione had stepped out of the dressing booth, now wearing a double bandoleer, red boots and gloves and a red handkerchief around his neck. “Well what do you think?” he asked Bunnie and Sally.

“Dashing,” said Sally.

Bunnie seemed to be more focused on her husband’s more exposed physique than the clothes themselves. “Yeah, you look good. Is it getting hot in here?”

Antione frowned. “I see, if it is too distracting, I guess I should put it all back…”

“No!” Bunnie said waving her hands. “No,no,no, I can control maself, a day or two I probably won’t even notice!”

Sally giggled. “You were right, I really needed some time to not think about what else could go wrong.”

“Ok, Sally girl try out your new duds on!"

Sally went into the dressing room, walked into an empty booth and closed the curtain. She laid down the outfit she picked up, a black top and a pair of black shorts, and looked herself in the mirror. “Maybe if I mixed them with my jacket and boots, it would different but still close to what I’m used to.”

Sally took off her jacket vest first them bent down to take off her boots. She noticed a white fingerless glove that had a square hole cut into the back of the hand and looked long enough to almost reach the elbow. “Funny, I wanted to add gloves but didn’t find a pair I liked.”

“Excuse me,” came a voice from the next booth. I hung a glove over the wall, but it fell over can you pass it under here?”

Sally picked the glove up. “Sure, here you…go.”

Sally was now looking straight into the face of the treacherous vixen who restored her to normal just yesterday and last saw staring blankly into space and from her expression the fox was just as surprised to see her.

“Uh…thanks?” Fiona said as she took the glove back.

Both girls then got up and went back to what they were doing but the silence quickly got to Sally. “… Thank you for what you did for me back there. I’m surprised that you still aren’t resting, let alone just out shopping.”

“…It was Mom’s idea. After everything she thought it would be something nice to do together as girls, said I could use an emotional pick-me-up.”

Sally had one boot off. “Let me guess, retail therapy? Bunnie came up with the same prescription for me.”

“Yeah, roboticized for about a year. I actually didn’t believe it until I came out of that hospital with Master Charlemagne and saw it with my own eyes.”

“Fiona…”

“Let me just get this out of the way now. I don’t expect anyone to forgive me or let me back into the Freedom Fighters. I don’t even want it, I’m content with where I am.”

“Awaiting trial?”

“I meant being an Ixis Witch, the parts of my life where I was prisoner, a thief, a Freedom Fighter and a villain are in my past and I want to focus on the present from now on. I’m also a full Ixis Witch surprisingly, Master said I passed my test with flying colors.”

“Congratulations I guess,” Sally now had the other boot off and took a moment to look at her unclothed figure in the mirror.

“Honestly, I thought I blew it at first. Being in control of your emotions is Ixis Magik 101, putting my own lifeforce into the spell because I couldn’t put my feelings about you aside, talk about dumb.”

Sally picked up the shorts. “Lucian said you might stay that way or have even died. Your parents being there must have been a comfort to you.”

“I think it was the only reason I was able to come back at all, so many years of hope and anger finally answered, it was like a signal flare.”

Sally looked at herself in the shorts and gave an affirmative nod in the mirror after making sure her tail had free movement. “So, what do you plan to do now?”

“Never thought about it really. After my parents’ cherry bombs went off, I officially hit rock bottom, then Master Charlemagne threw me an escape ladder. He said everything I went through all the hardships and bad decisions were just stepping stones to a destiny I was meant to fulfill and becoming an Ixis Witch was the next step. I guess I’ll just have to see what that destiny is.”

“I bet you probably don’t think it involves jail time.” Sally began to put on the top.

“As long as I can reach the earth, I’d be ok with it. You can’t imagine the feeling of contentment I get communing with the spirit of the planet, it even helped me get over my claustrophobia. It’s so ancient yet still growing and I think it likes ice cream sundaes for some reason?”

Sally couldn’t help but laugh. “That would be Chip, Sonic can fill you in on him, I never actually met the little guy sadly.”

“Well in any case I was actually in prison this morning, as a visitor.”

Sally finished pulling the top on and felt that something was missing. “Visiting who?”

“Nic the Weasel, she and the Hooligans are prisoners there, captured after Sonic destroyed Heavy Magician. Before I joined the Freedom Fighters but after the incident with Quantum Dial, Nic and me went on this big heist together, a museum job. Things started going south and Nic got us to split up to avoid getting caught, but she never showed up at the rendezvous and I found she took the entire haul and replaced my share with junk. I couldn’t believe it, I kept her from getting snagged into Robotnick’s prison, she got me used to the outside world again, I thought of her like a big sister and she betrayed me.

“Cutting ties with her was another reason I joined, but I was on edge ever since, I could never fully trust anyone after that. Once I found out about the arrangement you made for me, I knew to really move on I had to hear her side of things. She said she could see my doubts and wanted to break things off before I turned her in to join the good guys. But then she said she was sorry, that abandoning me was the biggest mistake she ever made and getting caught was the best thing that ever happened to her. She’s even patching things up with Nack about their jerk of a father, trying to get the Hooligans to at least not be as much of bad guys as they had been. It feels like a massive weight has been lifted off my shoulders.”

Sally put the vest on and closed it. It didn’t look right to her, so she opened it again, the combination with the top was perfect. “You really do regret the bad things you’ve done, don’t you?”

“Yeah, I guess I do, especially how I treated Tails. I thought my family abandoned me and it turned out I still had more family than I realized. Worst part was the one family member trying to reach out to me most I used to get back at Sonic after I found out he only dated me for his sake.”

Sally was pulling up one of her boots. “You found out about that?”

“I overhead Sonic saying it to you, he still had a thing for you and was trying to keep you from getting jealous. On top of the fact that you were probably going to throw me out any day I found out my boyfriend only dated me to keep his buddy from getting hurt. With Scourge lavishing attention on me, well I decided then and there I’d never let anyone turn against me first ever again."

Sally sighed as she finished putting the other boot on. “I… let things get personal, Sonic was seeing you and I got jealous. Not only that I felt like I put the team at risk for not checking you more thoroughly and I let that blind me to the possibility that you were trying to turn over a new leaf.”

“Doesn’t excuse a thing I did; you were right I was never a real Freedom Fighter.”

“I made a similar accusation to someone else I thought I could trust, someone I lumped in with you. He just threw it back in my face, said I was just as much a traitor as he was. I’ve done a lot of questionable things too, a lot of what happened during the Phantom Ruby War could be laid at my feet, but Sonic and the others were willing to let it go. That got me to realize that forgiveness is just much for the one doing the forgiving, and if you’re really being sincere, then I don’t see why we can’t put this whole thing behind us.”

Sally heard a sniffle. “Thank you, I mean it.”

Sally came out of the dressing booth. Fiona did so soon after. Her outfit looked like something of a cross between the body suit she wore as a freedom fighter and the skimpy outfit she wore with Scourge. Orange boots with a steel toe that went up near the knee, the white glove Sally saw earlier along with its twin, orange shorts stopped half way down the thigh and a sleeveless orange and white top that stopped just below the bustline giving a good view of her stomach. She had changed her hair again falling back to the top of her neck with a large bang near her right eye all held in place by that same yellow bow between her ears. “Nice look for you,” she said.

“You too,” Sally replied. “Listen, there’s going to be a Freedom Fighter reunion in about an hour and if you really want to apologize to everyone, I think that would be the best place to do it.”

“You don’t think I’d spoil the mood?”

“It wouldn’t be the first time we had to heal rifts between us. Heck between the brainboxes and the times a lot of us were roboticized, brainwashed, blackmailed or undercover it seems you practically have to go dark side at least once before you’re considered a real Freedom Fighter.”

Sally’s communicator beeped. “Hey Sal, got a moment?” Sonic said from the other side.

Sally used the device. “Sonic, what’s going on?”

“I just ran into the Chaotix, they heard about Fiona and want to ask her about where her Destructix buddies might be holding up. If she’s serious about giving being a good guy another shot, then it’ll only help her chances with the judge.”

“Actually, I have her right here I’ll put her on.”

Sally gave the communicator to Fiona. “I’m not sure how much help I can be really. During the Phantom Ruby War, Master Charlemagne, Lucian and I used those spots as temporary shelters. But with the Destructix under Infinite’s thumb we had to keep destroying them so Eggman couldn’t track us down, there’s probably only one or two left and even that’s iffy.”

“Good, less work for them. Also, if you can remember what happened on Moebius it might be helpful for tracking down Finitivus, seems like something bad happened there, potentially end of the world bad.”

Fiona clutched her head. “I… can’t it’s like something is keeping me from remembering. I honestly think I prefer it this way.”

“Well you better arrange a meeting about the spots you didn’t use. The Chaotix will be here all day for the reunion.”

Sally took the communicator back. “I’ll make sure she’s there, she wants to apologize to everyone anyway.”

“You had doubts about Fiona yesterday now you’re all chummy with each other what gives?”

“Retail therapy, it’s not a wonder cure but it can be surprisingly effective sometimes.”

“Girls…” Sonic grumbled as he cut the line.

“Well that settles it, you’re coming. I better tell Antione and Bunnie, ease them into it, you should probably let your parents know where you’re going next.”

“I will,” said Fiona. “I’ll also tell aunt Rosemary and uncle Amadeus, still feels weird saying that, that I’ll be apologizing to my cousin, he probably feels more awkward about it than I do.”

As they left the dressing room Sally, breathed a sigh of relief. “If Charlemagne wins the duel and keeps to his word today might turn out actually be good.”


Sonic and the Chaotix came up to the conference hall were the big reunion was supposed to take place. “Hope we made it early,” said Vector. “They always run out of seven-layer dip at these things.”

“I’m sure there’ll be plenty of food Vector,” said Charmy.

“It’s not that big a deal,” said Sonic. “Just a chance for Freedom Fighters from all over to finally get to know each other without having to worry about if their homes are going to be safe.”

As he opened the doors the response was immediate.

“SONIC!”

All around Freedom Fighters teams from the world over Sonic had met in the past had were now in one place, many of them meeting each other for the first time since the attack on the Xorda’s quantum dial or in some cases for the very first time.

“The guest ‘o honor,” Walt Wallaby said.

“Tis’ wouldn’t be the same without thou,” Rob o’ the Hedge said with a tip of his recently restored crown.

“Land or sea you always pull through,” said Ray the Manta from a tank on one side of the room.

“And have inspired all of us to give our best as well,” said Guntiver. “We wouldn’t have gotten nearly as far as we did without you.”

Sonic stepped into the middle of the room. “Guys, I don’t deserve all the credit. Well maybe most of the credit…” Everyone laughed at the joke. “But it was a team effort, all our teams. It was because of all of us that Mobius is now free because of us that it will now continue to be free.”

 “Truer words were never spoken,” Sally said as she came into the room followed by Antione and Bunnie. “Our long struggle has created a bond between all of us and that is why we’re here today, to celebrate that bond. I know by now you’ve probably have heard of an unexpected development that may have critical ramifications on the Republic of Acorn. Whatever the result it won’t change who we are or what we do, we’ll keep up the fight no matter what.”

The crowd clapped with enthusiasm but for some reason it felt off to Sonic.

“Now before we go back to the party, I have a couple things to bring to your attention. First, we have the sole survivor of one the first Freedom Fighter divisions with us. Vanilla and the Wild Bunch had sacrificed much for sakes of others, including our youngest member and Vanilla’s own daughter Cream. If Vanilla is willing, I encourage you to listen to the stories she has of the friends and loved ones she made back then.”

The crowd clapped as Vanilla politely curtsied.

“Secondly, there’s someone here you probably heard had done me a great service recently, despite having become disillusioned with our cause and working against us. She since decided to move on to a different sort of life and wishes to offer her apologies for her misdeeds, and even though most of you have never met her I strongly encourage those who have to listen,” Sonic noticed her gaze settle on Tails. “I think you’ll find her remorse is genuine.”

Sonic noticed Fiona of in a corner and made a mental note to see her.

“That’s all I have in the way of announcements. Now get back to the festivities!”

As Sonic began to head over to Sally, a cry broke from the Artic Freedom Fighters.

“Rotor!”

“Sealia!” The walrus and seal both gave each other a big hug. “I’m so glad to see you again, how’s everyone at home?”

“Your mom and little brother are doing fine and let me just say thank you for getting me to have the operation, it helped everyone ease into what happened to me.”

“Don’t give it a second thought, as long as you’re ok with you I’m perfectly happy.”

Just then a small display on Rotor’s belt cried out. “Mama, mama!”

“What was that?” Sealia asked.

Rotor shown the display to Sealia as Nikki smiled back from it. “It’s an AI program I modeled after Nicole, but since it’s learning on its own and hasn’t been active for very long, she’s pretty much a very intelligent baby. Unfortunately, because of a little teasing I did to Nicole and her attempt to get one back on me Nikki here has got it into her head that you’re her mother. Not that it’s going to be permanent! I just don’t want to clear her memories until necessary.”

Sealia smiled. “Well, I guess I don’t mind if she wants to call me mom for now.”

“Mama! Mama! Pway with me!”

After giving the scene a chuckle Sonic turned back to Sally and noticed Ken Khan approach her with Dulcy, who was now wearing a fancy blue silk gown and a phoenix crown.

“It’s good to see you again princess,” Dulcy said with a bow, but she went a little too far and the crown the crown fell off her head as Sonic caught it in a half second.

“It’s great to see you too,” Sonic said handing the crown back. “Empress Dulcy.”

Dulcy sighed as she put the crown back on. “Still getting used to it, my grandfather may have been the last emperor of the Dragon Kingdom but the falling out my father had with him over my mother means I still know next to nothing about this empress stuff. I’m kind of jealous of you Sally, at least you had enough of a royal upbringing to know what it was you lost, the fighting that broke out between the eastern and western dragons meant I had to find out from a hermit in the mountains. Reunifying the clans to protect the people and while mending the rift that formed between the east and west has been a clawful, but I’m glad I found a bunch of new friends who were willing to help me.”

“So, I’ve heard,” said Sally before turning to Ken Khan. “I’m glad I didn’t end up killing you.”

Ken smirked. “As if something like getting a tree to fall on me would do that. Still quite the ride, after that I came across Dulcy and we found her destiny, started reforming the Dragon Kingdom fighters, learning my family got the name Khan from a title one of my ancestors earned while waking up two other Khan from a five hundred year slumber and all of that was BEFORE the Phantom Ruby War.”

“Congrats on taking down Heavy Shinobi by the way.”

“It was a team effort, speaking of which you should probably meet them.” Ken gave a whistle and a few Mobians gathered.

Dulcy first gestured to a white tigress with red bandana, black pants and a legionzed tail who then bowed. “This is Jian, who is also serving the Kingdom as the new Bride of Conquering Storms.” Next was an orange pheasant girl wearing a yellow oriental dress. “Here is Cinder.” Next was a dark green female turtle with a black shell. “Bunker.” Another turtle, this one a tall male a red shell and a crescent spade. “Lang Khan and…” Dulcy had moved to an empty space.

Ken groaned. “Alright where’s Zhao?”

“Hey, don’t hog all the dip!” Sonic heard Vector yell.

“Hog, hahaha!” laughed a brown boar with a metal rake slung over his back. “That’s a good one! I l love what you’ve done with jokes and food in the last five hundred years!”

“Zhao Khan!” Ken yelled as he approached the boar. “I called you to meet the Princess and Sonic, why didn’t you come?!”

“Hey, I’ve been a Khan a lot longer than you have,” Zhao said taking a bite out of a slice of pizza. “You’re only in charge because the empress gave you your title personally.”

“Zhao please,” Dulcy said. “Leave some for everyone else and you and Ken had better not get into one of your fights.”

The Boar patted his belly and laughed. “Ok, I wouldn’t want to ruin a party after all!”

Vector gave a nod “Thanks your majesty,” he then turned to Sonic. “Oh, Espio said to meet up with him. Something about an old friend of his wanted to introduce you to his students.”

“Alright I’ll see what he wants,” Sonic went through the crowd greeting those who called to him and eventually spotted three chameleons, Espio, Liza and blue chameleon in a red beret who were in a conversation. “You seem awfully chatty for a dead man Valdez.”

Espio nodded in Sonic’s direction. “He managed to survive our last encounter when he and Liza were roboticized and spent most of that time observing the general population for the Bride of Constant Vigil.”

“It was mostly meant as a means for me to try to recover from what I did during that time,” said Valdez. But between that and the Royal Secret Service falling apart I went on voyage back to ask to be relieved of further duty. I got lost and wound up on a place called Malada Island, a few of the young people there formed their Freedom Fighter division but were completely disorganized. I helped to get them to balance their strengths and together we kicked the DEL out of the Sol Islands. It made me realize that I still had a job to do and once I get back to the clan, I’m going to focus on training the next generation.”

“I actually know someone from Malada,” said Sonic. “Mind if I ask your team about him, I think he’d appreciate knowing how they’re doing.”

“That’s why I asked for you, they all really want to meet you.” Valdez waved over to a group of who came over, most of them looking around fifteen years old.

“Oh, my gosh it’s really you!” said a young Lemur woman with a yellow vest as she extended her tail like an extra arm which Sonic shook. “I’m Tangle, huge fan!”

Badger girl wearing only a necklace, some shiny bracelets, and a rope belt with a boomerang hanging from it began to sniff at Sonic then smiled. “Like sweat and Hibiscus, I knew it! I’m Sticks, I don’t like the city, but this is WAY worth it!”

A male Cheetah with a sweatband extended his hand. “I’m Kyle and even though I know you’d kick my butt it would be an honor to race you!”

A ruby throated hummingbird kid kept darting around Sonic like he couldn’t keep still. “IsittruethatyourquillscancutthoughanythingifsoitmustbereallyhardtosleepinabedunlessyousleeponyourstomachonceIcouldn’tsleepbecauseIdranktoomuchcoconutmilkandhadtokeepgoingtothebathroom…”

Sticks grabbed the bird’s beak as he kept trying to talk a mile a minute, after a few seconds though he took the hint and stopped.

“This is Zip,” said Tangle. “We often joke that only thing on Mobius faster than your feet is his mouth.”

“You might not be wrong,” Sonic said eliciting a laugh from the group. He then noticed a female wolf surrounded by wisps with blonde hair, a black leotard, a rifle like wispon and mask with a scope on it she quickly slid over her face when he noticed her. “Come on what’s your name?

The wolf looked over in his direction. “Whisper.” She answered very quietly.

“I’m sorry I didn’t catch that.”

“My name is Whisper.”

“Whisper huh, is there any reason you’re being so quiet?”

“She’s very shy,” said Kyle. “That’s why she preferred being our sniper, but she was just as excited at meeting The Hero of Mobius as the rest of us.”

Well I’m glad to meet you guys, Lucian would probably be happy to know you’ve done such a great job.”

“Lucian the Tenrec?” asked Sticks. “We haven’t seen him in years!”

“I saw a tenrec with Amy while she was showing off some magic tricks, she said she’s been learning,” said Liza.

“Well that settles it,” said Sonic. “You should catch up with him, isn’t that what reunions are for? Shouldn’t be that hard to find him and Amy.”

“This has been the best Remembrance Day I’ve ever had,” said Tangle. “It sure will be nice to see the little guy again.”

As the Malada Freedom Fighters went off Sonic followed with a confused expression. “Little guy?”


Blaze and Marine had been meeting up with members of the Resistance when they spotted a familiar figure. “Hey Silver!” Marine called out.

Silver at first tried to ignore them but quickly realized that wouldn’t work. {Gold, Blaze is here. It’s too soon what should I do?}

{Just treat her as if you still didn’t remember she was part of our time. With any luck she’ll be out of our way while we do our work then we can recruit her once all of today’s critical moments have passed.}

“Hey Silver, why the cold shoulder mate?” Marine asked again.

“Uh, I was talking with the Secret Freedom Fighters about…something secret.”

“Well be sure to spare some time for us,” said Blaze. “I’m sorry I haven’t kept in contact as much as I wanted, even with the Phantom Ruby War over making sure the people of the Sol Islands are adjusting to having to live in this new dimension takes up a lot of time.”

“Any word on Doctor Nega yet?”

Blaze nodded. “One of our fishermen overheard him say he was going to return to the No Zone since his forces were starting to get pushed back there. With any luck the Zone Cops have already locked him up for good.”

“And if he’s not I still got that zip line from our time in the Resistance to take care of ‘em” bragged Marine.

Blaze sighed. “Marine you were brainboxed in the first place because of overconfidence like that. You must learn a little humility, or it could lead to something not so easily fixed.”

Marine sighed. “Alright princess I’ll behave.”

“So, your parents were royalty too?” Silver asked thinking it would help clear things up later.

Blaze looked away with a frown. “I wouldn’t know, I never knew my parents. I was found washed up on the beach as a child, I couldn’t remember anything before that, so I was brought before Sol Emeralds. The priests found I had a natural talent with fire and the emeralds chose me to be their guardian, after a couple years of training I was named princess and high priestess. But I often wondered where I came from, but I guess now that we’re all part of the Prime Zone I may never learn my true origins…”

“I’m sure you’ll find out some day!” Marine cheerfully. “As sure as I’m a captian!”

“Yeah anything can happen,” said Silver. “You’ll learn very soon, but like me and Gold you’ll wish you hadn’t.”

Marine gestured to the center of the room. “Hey, what’s that commotion?”

A crowd had gathered as what looked like Amy and a copy of her were showing off, one was playing a flute made of light while the other was addressing the crowd. “This spell is called Split Image, the most advanced thing I’ve learned so far. It not only lets me make a copy of myself, but I can see and hear whatever she does, and she can do whatever I want just by thinking about it, even other spells like Mystic Melody.”

“I don’t think either of us have been able to do that,” Fiona said to Lucian.

“Master says her elemental affinity is towards Chaos Energy itself, or The Aether as it was once known among ancient mages,” Lucian said with a smile. “She’s not that good at doing any elemental spells but anything not directly involved with them she has an amazing aptitude for. Amy has picked more spells in three hours than we had in three days.”

“This is really remarkable,” said Sally. “Viktor had better watch out for you!”

Amy dispelled the double. “Thank you, I started with manifesting, or conjuring, things other than my hammer and it felt so easy I just kept going! Which reminds me I have present for you!”

Amy took out a pair of slender white gloves that each had a blue ring on the wrist. “They’re beautiful, I was hoping to add some gloves to my new look.” Sally slipped the gloves on. “The way they breathe, it hardly feels like I’m wearing them.”

“I’m glad you like them, by the way remember those arm blades you had when you were roboticized?”

Sally sighed. “Yes, but why is that…!” suddenly a pair of blades the length of her forearm appeared from the blue rings at her wrist. “What the heck?!”

“I call them ring blades, I wanted to give you something to defend yourself with if you get into a tight spot and thought it should be something you were familiar with. If you don’t feel comfortable with them though…”

“No, I can handle it, that was very thoughtful of you. But do have one question.” Sally moved the blades around carefully. “How do I turn them off?”

Amy blushed. “Oh sorry! You will them away to make the blades vanish and will them to be there to bring them back.”

Sally looked at the ring blades and they vanished. “I mean it though thank you, given the number of times I’ve been captured or cornered, it’d be nice to do something about it so Sonic can focus on something else.”

Suddenly Zip was right next to Lucian. “WowyougotbighowdidyoudoitIwanttobebigtoounlessitinvolveseatingbeetsIhatebeetsifyougotbigbydrinkingnectarthoughcanyoutellmehowIvebeendoingitwrongohandwhoisthisgirlshelookscute.”

Amy was wide eyed. “Lucian who is that and what did he just say?”

Before he could answer Sonic and the rest of the Malada Freedom Fighters came up. “Wait, that’s Lucian?” asked Kyle.

“Lucian, what happened to you?” asked Whisper.

Sticks growled as she drew her boomerang. “That’s not Lucian, it’s a Rikalbang! It’s here to take all our mangos!”

“You guys all made it here?” Lucian asked. “Listen I can explain…”

“Wait,” Sonic asked confused. “What is going here? Lucian told us the whole story. He came from Malada like you guys, lost his parents to one of Robutnick’s sea mines when he started to take over the world then later Charlemagne came and took him to be his apprentice.”

“Is this true?” asked Valdez. “I came a long time after that, so you better fill us in.”

“That’s all true but it still doesn’t make sense,” said Tangle. “When he lost his parents…Lucian was still a baby, that Overlander came and took him in when he was five! Now he looks older than us, but he should be Zip’s age!”

Everyone around gasped.

“That’s news to me,” said Fiona.

“This is the second time you’ve been caught lying Lucian,” said Sally. “With Fiona I understand you were trying to keep a promise but this not something that’s so easily brushed aside. You better explain yourself.”

Lucian growled. “ALRIGHT IT’S TRUE! I’M NOT EIGHTEEN, I’M REALLY TWELVE!” After a sudden silence he fell to his knees and continued. “About three years ago, Master Charlemagne’s illness started getting worse. Even as stubborn as he could be, he knew he wouldn’t be able to use his powers as he once did and if someone needed his help his strength could fail when they both needed it most. So, he asked if he could magically age me to the point where I could actively begin my training, that thought of being like Sonic and how much trust master put in me, I jumped at the chance. Even after the spell it took a while before my mind started catching up with my body, I… didn’t want Amy to think I was just some little kid playing pretend.”

Amy picked Lucian up. “Why would you think that?”

“Even with no formal training you were able to absorb so much of the Ring of Acorn’s power. A smart and mature girl like you…”

“You didn’t know? That thing with the Ring of Acorns happened because I wished for the ring to make me older, so I could be a Freedom Fighter. Lucian I’m twelve too! If neither of those things happened, we’d both still be kids!”

Lucian was wide eyed. “You too!? Why, why didn’t Master Charlemagne tell me?”

“That’s a good question,” said Sonic. “Yes, everything that’s been happening with you, Fiona and Charlie on their own is explainable, but taken all together there are too many coincidences. The King of the Overlanders becoming an Ixis Wizard, him just happening to wash up on some distant island with a kid with precognition and magical potential who just happens to bear a surface resemblance to yours truly. Him aging you up the same year Amy was, Fiona just happening to walk into a saloon her long lost parents ran, him sending you to Sand Blast City just in the nick of time to save Fiona from getting blown to bits. You, getting that vision to come help us, him risking Fiona’s life to save Sally just when her folks would be here to make sure she’d make a speedy recovery.

“When you get down to it, we have someone you could say was Amy’s perfect match if she let me and Sally be a couple, Fiona pulling off the one thing that would dispel any doubts about her repentance. And then there’s Charlie himself, if he fixed up Sally there’d be no way he’d be in good enough shape for his duel with Naugus after curing King Max and my dad. It’s like everything is just fitting into place for him.”

“What are you saying?” asked Sally. “That Charlemagne prearranged all of this?”

“But that would mean he’d have had to have known about somethings like me coming back to Mobius beforehand!” said Fiona. “This doesn’t hold water! You are saying I should doubt the man who got me to reopen my heart to others, to trust again because you think Lucian and Amy are TOO perfect for each other?! This goes way beyond you dating me just to keep your little buddy from getting hurt!”

Sonic cringed. “You…knew about that?”

“I’ve already forgiven you, but this is still too much to be arranged by one man!”

“Maybe it isn’t a plot,” said Amy. “Maybe it’s just destiny.”

Sonic grumbled. “Sorry Amy, not to discount your fortune telling but I’ve always thought our destinies come from our own choices.”

“Look there’s no point in arguing about it now,” said Sally. “We have to remember that Robotnick is the real threat and we all have to work together to stop him. Right everyone?” Sally was met by silence for a few seconds. “Guys?”

“Rotor,” Sealia said to the walrus next to her. “You haven’t told her yet?”

“Told her what yet?” asked Bunnie.

“I thought we’d be putting it on hold,” said Rotor. “Now that there’s a third robotnick out there…”

“Mon Aimee we still don’t know what you’re getting at,” said Antione.

“I’ll say it,” Elias said as he stepped away from Larry, Lyco and Leeta. “Sally there was another reason for this reunion, once the Accord is signed the day after tomorrow… every Freedom Fighter division will be disbanded, permanently. Everyone wanted one last hurrah before it happened.”

“What?!” Sally marched up to the middle of the group. “You’re all just giving up now?! With Robotnick out there…”

“No one knew about Viktor until yesterday, most of the rebuilding efforts are finished, it seemed like the world didn’t need Freedom Fighters anymore.”

“And it’s not like all of us are giving up the fight,” said Barby Koala as she pumped a fist that included a legionized barb. “The Accord is letting all the Mobian nations contribute to GUN as a peacekeeping force in both funds and personnel. A lot of us aren’t quitting, just continuing under a different uniform and flag.”

“But as big as GUN is it takes a while to mobilize! One of the Freedom Fighter’s greatest strengths is our ability to organize and respond to problems quickly!”

“The council disagreed, they passed a measure to defund any future expenditures for the Freedom Fighters,” said Elias. “I told them it was a mistake, I wanted to vote against it, but I can only do that in the event of a tie and the measure passed with only one dissent.”

“Let me guess,” said Sonic. “My mom.”

“Actually, it was Pythagoras.”

“My mom’s ok with this?!”

“Mars made a very convincing argument. You know what he called the Freedom Fighters? Child soldiers! That you were all pulled into this far younger than you should have ever been and that it’s warped what you think life is supposed to be like. He said it was time all of you…all of us, should grow up.”

“He’s…not completely wrong,” said Lupe as she stepped forward. “When Lobo and I were brainboxed our children managed to escape; Marcos, Maria, Ariel, Athena they worked with the Resistance to get us back even while we were trying to hunt them down. My biggest regret is not what that thing made me do but because I became a Freedom Fighter so they wouldn’t have to fight, and they all ended up fighting anyway. I wouldn’t have traded my time as a Freedom Fighter for anything, but I knew when I had to move on, none of us started this wanting it to go on forever.”

“We’re not saying we all have to do this for the rest of our lives!” said Sally. “But now is not the time to disband! Viktor is out there and probably planning on attacking Freedom City as we speak! Once He’s captured…”

“Then what about the next bad guy?!” Amy suddenly shouted. “It was supposed to over when Ivo Robotnick was beaten but it wasn’t, you all tried to move on and become Freedom Builders but had to go back to fighting anyway! I…I spent so much time wanting to be a Freedom Fighter then getting caught up in being one I never really thought about what’s next. Have you? Has Sonic?”

Both Sonic and Sally were at a loss for words.

Amy started to cry. “Maybe Mars is right, that it’s time we stopped playing solider and grew up. A lot of us…never got the chance to.”

Then a clock started chiming.

“The duel will be starting soon,” said Sally. “Anyone who wants to see how this turns out had better get going. I don’t want to, but I feel like it’s my responsibility.”

As the crowd began to disperse Sonic clenched his fist. “I hope I’m barking up the wrong tree about Charlie. Because the longer I keep this secret, the more likely it’ll tear the team apart!”


 

The was getting low on the horizon, it was agreed by both the Freedom Fighters and the Council that the duel between Naugus and Charlemagne would be kept secret, so naturally everyone in the city found out and whether from concern or curiosity soon there was not an empty seat in the arena.

The Freedom Fighters had gathered near the royal box as two lone figures started approaching each other on the stadium floor.

“So, what are the rules to this thing?” Sonic asked Lucian after he came back from the last bit of preparations.

“No outside tools or assistance permitted, only whatever spells you know or weapons you can conjure. The duel continues until one of the combatants yields, is incapacitated or destroyed. It’s quite simple.”

“Simple and barbaric,” said Sally. “I know for some cultures this is honorable combat, but I thought my ancestors had long put this sort of thing behind us.”

“This will be just a one-time thing,” said Sonic. “Because if Naugus wins or Charlie refuses to return the throne then I’m going in there.”

“Just be careful,” Nicole said as she appeared from the handheld Sally had on her. “You can bet Naugus has some sort of trick prepared.”

“I’d rather you didn’t,” Gold said as she sat behind Sonic. “Remember Silver and I sacrificed ever going back to our original time to keep you alive so I’d appreciate it if you wouldn’t make our jobs harder.”

Sonic huffed. “If you’re from the future then maybe you can tell me if I should just take care of this now.”

“Sorry, the state rewrote almost everything. All we were able to salvage some information about the Freedom Fighters and Robotnick but nothing that went into detail.”

Gold turned when a shadow fell over her from behind and she spotted a large cat looking at her with a blush. “Hi… I’m Big.”

“I can see that.” Gold said.

“No,” said Sally. “That’s his name, Big the Cat.”

Gold held out her hand. “Well then nice to meet you I guess.”

As she shook Big’s hand the purple cat seemed to be lost in thought.

“I think he likes you,” said Tails as Big sat down.

Gold expression was hard to read. “That’s…sweet. I…need to keep an eye out for threats.”

Big sighed as he looked down, His faithful frog croaked.

“Don’t worry Mr. Big,” said Cream. “It doesn’t mean she doesn’t want to be friends, she’s just worried about protecting Sonic right now that’s all.”

Big gave a thankful smile back.

Gold took in the details to the people near them. {Silver are you and the Secret Freedom Fighters in position?}

{Suited up and ready to go,} Silver answered in her mind. {We think Geoffrey will be in a room under the center of the arena. It would give him the best range to do whatever Naugus plans.}

{Is Hershey with you?}

{Yes, sadly…}

{The first few events Master Mogul revealed to us are going to happen today. Hershey and Geoffrey are a key part of those events.}

{Once I do this, Elias and the others might never speak to me again.}

{If you don’t, they will have never spoken to you at all, because we’ll cease to exist along with everything you and Blaze had done in this time. At least we’ll always have each other.}

{Have you spotted Blaze?}

Gold noticed the cat near other visiting leaders. {Yes, on the bright side once what needs to be done today happens, we can restore her memories as well.}

{And given what’s going to happen probably yell at us for once we tell her where we really came from.}

{It’s about to start get ready.}

Down on the arena floor Naugus sneered at Charlemagne.

“I always knew you were worthless!” Nusgau said as the bat appeared within Naugus’ mind. “You can’t even dispose of a measly Overlander without me!”

“I don’t need your help!” Thought Naugus. “I just need the three of you to not take over my body until I beat this washed up feeble ruler!”

A lobster appeared to Naugus. “For what? To be the king of people who will probably now hate you?” said Suguna.  “If I were in charge, I would have sought even greater power instead of relying on the crutch of a Chaos Emerald!”

“What do you think will happen to us If I lose? Try getting power when you are constantly being hunted!”

“Naugus does have a point,” said Agunus. “Taking control of this body would be pointless if the victor is imprisoned or destroyed. Which is why I will take over if it looks like you’re blowing it!”

“No, I can assure our victory!” argued Nusgau.

“Your knowledge pales in comparison to mine dingbat!” snarled Suguna.

“Enough!” thought Naugus. “Geoffrey will have everything under control if this goes wrong, but if you just let me handle this, he won’t need to do anything.”

“Very well, but if it looks like you’re about to get us killed each of us will step in like Agunus suggested.”

“For once we are all in agreement!” snarled Agunus.

Charlemagne shook his head. “A house divided cannot stand, a fractured mind is even worse. This is your last chance Naugus, surrender now and spare yourself some grief.”

Naugus smirked. “I’ve learned a fair bit about your condition, it seems like you can’t use anything powerful without bringing yourself to the point of collapse. I think I’m about to set a record for the shortest Ixis Duel of all time!”

The former king sighed. “If you will not listen to reason, then force it is. But first the niceties.”

Charlemagne gave a short bow.

“Practicing for when you lose?”

“We must bow to each other before we begin. After all we’re not savages.”

Naugus continued to smirk as he bowed. “Fine, I’ll play along. I’ll even let you fire off the first spell, but I promise it won’t defeat me.”

“A mistake, not that there’s much you can do against this! Behold the Star of Ixis!”

The Overlander made some gestures and then two purple glowing circles appeared on the ground near the edge of the arena floor that had runes appearing between them. Then a triangle appeared in the inside the circle, followed by a second at a different angle and then a third. The Triangles overlapped to form an enneagram.”

“I gave you the first shot and you waste it on a light show?”

“The Star of Ixis is no mere light show Naugus. No magic can enter or leave the boundaries of this nine-pointed star, or did you think I wouldn’t figure out you that you’d have your apprentice cheat for you?”

Naugus growled as he formed a fireball in his left hand. “I should have possessed him, now Geoffrey’s completely useless to me now!”

Naugus unleashed a stream of fire from the ball, Charlemagne produced a shimmering wall in front of it. “It wouldn’t have made a difference as you’re about to find out!”

Charlemagne thrust his hand as arrows of pure energy shot out of his palm knocking the mutant on the ground. The crowd gasped as the Overlander scored the first blow.

Naugus shadowmelded and appeared behind Charlemagne sent a blast that just narrowly missed Charlemagne turning the ground it hit into crystal.

“Excellent feint,” the Overlander said as he conjured a sword. “A similar move by King Max cost me that fateful duel, but I learn from my mistakes!”

“You won’t live to learn from this one!” Naugus formed a sword in his left hand and the began to swing at the former king.

Steel clung against steel for several blows, but it came apparent that Naugus was nowhere near the swordsman Charlemagne was. The Overlander caught a thrust and twisted the blade away from Naugus’ grip.

“Trying to best a trained swordsman in a fit of rage? You’re slipping Naugus.”

“He’s right you fool!” Suguna screamed from Naugus’ mind. “I’m taking over, and I’ll finish this with a spell I kept to myself!”

Naugus’ eyes glowed blue as Suguna took possession. “Let’s see you handle this! Crimson Rain!”

A red orb shot from Naugus’ right claw into the air and then burst into droplets of acid that were about to hit Charlemagne.


Under the arena floor Geoffrey St. John was arranging objects to aid in the spell, on one corner of the room a monitor showed him what was going on through a cctv feed. Both combatants began to approach each other.

“Sorry, Geoff.” Elias said as he entered with the rest of the team in their black suits with colored piping. Hershey’s piping and goggles were purple with the goggles tinted to obscure her face until the right moment. “But we’re putting an end to your little magic show.”

Geoffery sighed. “I guess there was no other outcome. You’ll protect the republic no matter what and I have no other choice but to do as Naugus commands.”

“You’ve always had a choice,” said Lyco.

“You could have done what was best for your pack,” said Leeta.

“Everyone in my ‘pack’ is gone,” said Geoff. “The Royal Secret Service was disbanded, it’s members either dead or left to retire or join the Freedom Fighters in other places.”

“Valdez survived,” said Elias. “And he isn’t the only one…”

With a nod from Elias the Jack of Hearts removed her goggles. “Geoffrey...”

The skunk was stunned. “Hershey…”

“It begins,” Silver thought to himself.

“They told me everything Geoffrey,” Hershey said. “About you working with Naugus, what you’ve done… but none of that matters to me! Just stop now…”

“I can’t stop,” Geoffrey said resigned. “Until Naugus rules the kingdom I am bound by our pact to serve.”

“A pact…” Hershey said with a gasp.

“I don’t believe it!” Larry said with his tail twitching. “The King brought your wife here to talk some sense into you and you won’t even listen to her!”

Geoffrey took out a vial and poured out a noxious green substance out. “Not that it matters anyway, this can’t be stopped now.”

The marking drawn into the floor glowed and from the mark a smoke rose upwards. But the moment it reached the ceiling the smoke ignited and vanished.

Geoffrey dropped the vial. “The curse of weakness! What did you do to it!?”

“I don’t think it was my bad luck this time,” said Larry.

On the monitor the Secret Freedom Fighters heard Charlemagne speaking. “The Star of Ixis is no mere light show Naugus. No magic can enter or leave the boundaries of this nine-pointed star, or did you think I wouldn’t figure out you that you’d have your apprentice cheat for you?”

Geoffrey fell to his knees. “No, I… I failed… How did he know?”

“It’s over Geoffrey,” said Elias. “Don’t make things any harder for yourself than they already are.”

“They can’t possibly be harder!” Geoff yelled as pointed his crossbow at the Secret Freedom Fighters. “Imprison me, exile me, it doesn’t matter! So long as the pact between me and Naugus remains He’ll find me and force me to do his bidding!”

Hershey trembled. “Geoff once Naugus is defeated…”

“Can you forgive me?”

“What?!”

“I committed an act of treason, I lied to you about my childhood, pledged myself to a monster, learned at his feet, did wretched things for him. Is it possible for you to forgive me Hershey?"

The tears on Geoffrey’s face were clear, but Hershey closed her eyes on her own tears. “How can I…?”

“I see, but I guess it doesn’t matter. There was only one way this can truly end.”

Geoffrey quickly moved his fist under his jaw. If he fired his crossbow the bolt would quickly go through his mouth and up into his brain.

“What are you doing?!” yelled Elias.

“Executing a traitor and denying Naugus his one ally. I wish you had never come here Hershey but at least I can say goodbye. You always told me I made you better, but the truth was you were better than me and always have been.”

Silver clenched his fist. As much as he wanted to stop this he knew if he did, he’d keep himself from existing and he wouldn’t be able to stop it leading himself right back where he started.

The former spy had clenched his fist to launch the bolt.

Hershey screamed. “GEOFFREY!!!”


Suguna grinned madly in Naugus’ body as the acid rain fell towards Charlemagne. The Overlander touched his sword causing it to turn into dust which he sent then sent towards the acid with a gust of wind. Once the rain passed through the cloud it became regular water harmlessly drenching him.

Suguna was dumbfounded. “How?!”

“By changing my blade into a corrosive like calcium carbonate I was able to use it to neutralize your acid. And people say magic and science don’t mix.”

“So much for your secret spell!” Agunus roared in Naugus’ mind. “Now we do it my way!”

Naugus’s eyes glowed yellow. “Stone Body!” The mutant’s skin hardened into granite and he then charged as he bellowed with his horn lowered intending to gore the former king.

“Snap Freeze!” Charlemagne breathed heavily as the ground under Naugus froze causing him to slip forward getting his horn stuck in the ground.

The crowd laughed as Agunus tried to dislodge himself from the floor. “Ok, that is probably worth the whole fight,” Sonic chortled.

“A headlong charge?! That was your strategy?!”  Nusgau screeched from within Naugus. “I’ll take it from here and we’ll win even If I have to bring this whole stadium down on this fool and everyone else!”

Naugus’ body dislodged itself as the stone broke off his body and his eyes glowed red. “I’ve had enough of your tricks! Prepare for annihilation!”

Nusgau soared upward as storm clouds gathered and crackled with lightning. “Final Tempest!”

Charlemagne rose one had towards Nusgau and the other to the ground beneath him. “Gravity Bind!”

A column of black light rose from beneath Suguna that pulled him crashing to the ground. The mutant’s eyes returned to normal as he struggled against the hyper gravity in the column. “And you three call yourselves great wizards?! I’ll just have to…”

Naugus found his words cut off as Charlemagne had conjured another sword and had its tip against the evil mage’s throat. “Surrender,” the Overlander said rasping.

“Surrender to you?! You can barely stand!”

“Yes, I have overexerted myself, but if I give out completely gravity will pull my blade down on your neck. You had no intention of making this nation a kingdom again, simply so you could keep that young man enslaved to you forever, didn’t you? Naugus you lied, you cheated, you lost, you don’t deserve the throne, the only thing you can come out of this with is your own miserable life unless you are fool on top of everything else.”

Naugus growled. “I… yield…”

“It’s over,” Sally sighed in relief.

“Only if he gives back the crown back to Elias,” said Sonic. “Now if you don’t mind, I’m going to make sure ugly doesn’t get away.”

After the Star of Ixis faded Sonic was literally on top of Naugus in an instant. Lucian, Fiona and Amy ran up to the new King of the Republic after he had dispelled his blade and taken the purple Chaos Emerald from Naugus.

“I have two proclamations,” Charlemagne said raising his hand. “First for her recent services to the Republic in restoring Princess Sally to her family I hereby bestow upon Fiona Fox a full pardon for any crimes for which the Republic has accused her of.” He turned to Fiona. “I know you will make the best of this second chance.”

Fiona had tears in her eyes. “Master…I…I can never thank you enough.”

Sonic shrugged. “Ok, we can let him have that, but that second had better be what he promised.”

“Secondly, I do hereby announce my abdication from the throne and restore the crown to King Maximillian Acorn!”

A sudden hush came over the crowd. “Not Elias?” asked Sonic.

“Max’s health has been restored; he is now fit to rule again. While I have no doubt Elias has nothing but good intentions for the people, my old friend deserves a chance to be known as something other than ‘the cursed’.” Charlemagne turned to crowd. “That is unless Maximillian or anyone else with a claim has any objections.”

“I…would like to hear from my son first,” said Max.

Sally turned to where Elias was supposed to be sitting. “Elias if you want to keep the throne you better get back soon.”

“Actually, I have an objection or two!” shouted a voice from the arena speaker system.

Suddenly the ground burst beneath everyone on the arena floor filling the air with dust. Sonic looked around to see Naugus nearby him dazed. Not far were the Secret Freedom Fighters, while Silver seemed fine the rest were shaking off the wild ride they had. Geoffrey was also nearby also groaning as he got up, his crossbow strangely melted.

“Amy! Fiona! Lucian! Charlie!”

“All right here with me and my new friends,” said a familiar voice. The dust started to clear revealing a flying pod with the smirking figure of Viktor Robotnick standing with one foot on the railing of the vehicle. “Freedom City, the doctor is in!”

Sonic smirked right back. “You just had to crash the party didn’t you Mister Perfect?”  As the dust cleared further Sonic saw Amy, Lucian, Fiona and Charlemagne in a floating energy bubble unconscious. Hovering nearby on jets, magic or a small vehicle were an improved metal series, Regina Ferrum, Mammoth Mogul, Witchcart and her Witchcarters along with a figure in purple robes and a painted metal mask. “And I see you brought a few other creeps, but I don’t recognize your friend dressed up for a masquerade.”

“I am Lord Specter,” the masked figure said. “You didn’t think you could stage an Ixis Duel without getting the attention of the Archmage and Grandmaster of the Order of Ixis did you?”

“Knuckles leapt from his seat down to the stadium floor. “So, you’re bringing back the group my ancestors put down millennia ago with these dark mages.”

“Yes but we have one more member to introduce,” said Specter. “Witchcart, give the order.”

“Oh apprentice, finish your mission and capture Mr. St. John for us,” The Witchcart had a wicked gleam in her eye. “Like a good kitty.”

“What is she talking about?” asked Larry as he got up.

Suddenly a wall of fire cut Geoffrey off from the Secret Freedom Fighters. Hershey approached the flames with her arms raised and passed through unharmed.

“My crossbow,” said Geoffrey inspecting the damage to his weapon. “You did this?”

 “Hershey?!” Elias asked shocked. “What are you doing, how are you doing this?!”

Hershey had a focused gaze on the Secret Freedom Fighters. “I told you Elias, to get here I’ve done things I’m not proud of.” She then looked at Geoffrey with tears. “Now I can finish my answer to your question. How can I have the right to forgive you when I’ve done the same crimes? We were both wrong, neither of is better than the other, we both made a pact for power and we’re the same in so many ways. Orphans, Freedom Fighters, spies, fools, traitors…”

She turned to Witchcart who had a rune glow on the back of her hand, the same rune that was now on Hershey’s forehead.

“You are an Ixis Wizard and I am your Ixis Witch.” 

Chapter 9: Freedom City Throwdown

Summary:

Robotnick and the Order of Ixis attack Freedom City, the Freedom Fighters counterattack and plans move forward.

Chapter Text

Sonic and everyone in the stadium were trying to process what just happened. Naugus had been dethroned and Charlemagne was about to give the crown back to King Max when Robotnick made his public debut by capturing the mage and his students, including Amy. What was more the Order of Ixis had returned and one of their members was the previously thought dead Hershey St. John who had been ordered to capture her husband for them. Runes glowed on the back of Witchcart’s hand and Hershey’s forehead as she grabbed her husband.

“Silver use your telekinesis!” yelled Lyco. “Keep Geoffrey and Hershey from escaping!”

“I won’t do it,” Silver said.

“Why the heck not?!” asked Leeta.

“As much as I want to stop them this must happen, for reasons I can’t tell you guys. You’ll just have to trust me.”

Elias scowled. “You knew she was with them and didn’t tell us?! We always stood by you to save your future and you didn’t trust us to understand that?!”

“Once this is over you guys can kick me out, but I couldn’t risk it it’s not just my future at stake anymore but my sister’s too.”

“Don’t do this Hershey!” Mars yelled from the stands. “You’ll both become fugitives, if captured you’ll both be locked up! Is he really worth your freedom?!”

“Even if I agreed with you uncle, I have no choice,” Hershey cried. “I made the pact; I must obey Madam Witchcart.”

The flames died as the couple was levitated towards Robotnick and the Order, suddenly Geoffrey yelled as the same rune on Hershey’s forehead appeared on his own. He began to pull away from Hershey as she tried to take him with her. Naugus had gotten up and had the rune on the back of his left hand. “We made a pact as well, and I say my apprentice is staying with me!”

The rune on back of Witchcart’s hand glowed more intensely. “We’ll see about that you mishmashed freak!”

“This is getting us nowhere,” said Mammoth Mogul. “It’s time you went away for a while. Zone Gate!”

A portal opened beneath Naugus. The mutant screamed as he fell through before it suddenly closed.

As Hershey and Geoffrey were pulled into the sphere Specter removed the purple Chaos Emerald from Charlemagne’s hand and tucked it into his cloak. “You enjoyed that too much Mammoth.”

“I don’t know why your allies want Geoffrey,” Sally told Robotnick as she and other Freedom Fighters came down to the stadium floor prepared for a fight. “But you’ve made a serious mistake in coming here Viktor. Almost every Freedom Fighter is here right now, do really think you and your cronies can take all of us?”

Viktor smirked. “The real question is how many Freedom Fighters are here in the stadium and how many are out in the city to hold back my Neo Swats, who at this moment are spreading out of this arena to obtain the two remaining Chaos Emeralds you’ve secured as well as general destruction and mayhem?”

Up in the stands Commander Tower activated his communicator. “Letter of Gabriel, status report!”

“Those Neo Swats are attacking the city,” said a feminine voice on the other end. “We’ve deployed our troops and robots but can’t unload our weaponry without endangering civilians.”

Sally growled as she activated her ring blade and turned to those Freedom Fighters still in the stands. “Head to hospital and Council Rotunda! Stop any badnicks you see along the way!”

“And somebody get the Sword of Light!” yelled Elias. “It’s our best chance against them!”

“I’ll see if anybody needs help out there!” Cream said as she and Cheese flew off.

As many did what was asked Mina and Ash surprisingly speed up to the frontline.

“This was why you wanted the plans for the stadium isn’t it Mammoth?!” said Ash. “I asked for speed from you to fight Eggman and you then use the favor you asked for in return to help his replacement?!”

“You blackmailed Ash with my father’s freedom then you go around and endanger them both?!” Mina yelled. “You’re even lower than I thought!”

Mogul stared the two mongooses down. “What did I say about doing something stupid? You have no idea of the powers you are messing with.”

Sonic glared at Mammoth Mogul. “You’re just going to let Masquerade here snag the what’s keeping you alive?!”

Mammoth opened his coat and instead of the white emerald was a strange black gem. “Actually, in exchange for rejoining the Order of Ixis Lord Specter has created something for me a little less sought after now there are fewer emeralds. This Ixis Crystal should help me maintain my immortality without a gem every would-be conqueror and hero will want to get their grubby hands on, now all we need are the two in the city and these mages to grow our numbers.”

“Now a small sample of our power,” said Specter. The masked mage lifted a hand suddenly Mina was held in place by an orb like the one holding the Order’s prisoners. “Save her if you can.”

Specter fired a dart of black energy at Mina. Ash sped into Mina knocking her out of the orb but was trapped inside.

Mina looked on horrified. “ASH NO!”

“CHAOS CONTROL!”

Sonic teleported into the orb and the two vanished again just as the dart passed through leaving a charred hole where it hit the ground.

“That was too close,” said Sonic.

Sally looked at the two Mongooses. “I know you both have some explaining to do later but for now we could use your help.”

“So, you have the last emerald as the Grand Design foretold,” said Specter as he glared at Sonic. “You better hand it over if you know what’s good for your friends.”

“Not going to happen,” said Sonic.

“We’ll see about that!” said Metal Sonic as he jetted over to Sonic, the blue hedgehog spin dashed towards him when he rolled to the side and made a swipe towards Sally. The princess narrowly dodged and cut a bit of the coat like covering near Metal Sonic’s leg.

“You’ll have to do better than that!” Sally said with a confident smile.

“Actually, I was right on target,” Metal Sonic held up Nicole’s handheld before tossing it to Viktor.

“Sonic, don’t do it!” Nicole shouted. Robotnick just pressed a couple of buttons on the handheld rendering her silent.

“Good work, she’ll prove useful,” said Robotnick. “Now let’s finish what we came here to do!”

“Into the city!” said Specter. The last two emeralds are in our grasp!”

“Neo Metal Series!” bellowed Viktor. Hold them off until we can confirm the emeralds are secure!”

As the villains sped off the Metal Sonic launched another attack on Sonic. Sonic launched a spin dash against his corkscrew then veered off at the last second zooming past him. “Sorry chrome dome, but I have to get my pals away from your boss!”

Tails squared off against his robotic counterpart. “So, you switched to using jet boots. What’s wrong, Viktor didn’t think what I use to fly wasn’t good enough?”

“Not at all,” said Metal Tails. “But the switch freed up my tails to do this!”

The robot’s tails extended like they were made from liquid metal, their tips as sharp as spears as they split into four then eight. Tails just narrowly dodged being impaled, one got near his head when Antione deflected it with his sword. “Thanks!”

“Go help Sonic,” said the Coyote. “I will cut down zhis cretin!”

“But how…” Tails then gasped as he took out his scanner. “Wait, Charlemagne just pardoned Fiona but her tracking anklet wasn’t removed yet. I can use it to find where Viktor is!”

“Zhen get going!” Antione said as he parried more of Metal Tail’s blows.

As Tails flew off Knuckles dodged the three spiked fists on the end of his neo metal counterpart’s arms. “Chaotix if any of you can get to the Order of Ixis, try to stop them. I’ll handle this second-rate tin can!”

“You got it!” Ray said as he and Mighty slipped away.

Knuckles punched the robot’s chest. It opened a hole just long enough to let the echidna’s arm pass trough before tightening around it. “Not bad for second rate!”

Suddenly a stream of fire blew Metal Knuckle’s side off for long enough for the original to free himself. “We’ll secure the emerald then go free the prisoners!” said Blaze. “Marine follow me!”

Gold noticed the Sol Islanders leaving. {Silver, if Blaze interferes now it could be disastrous!}

Silver levitated and headed out of the stadium. {I’ll follow them and try to make sure we all still exist!}

Sally squared off against Neo Metal Amy, she took a swipe at the robot who leapt out of the way. “What’s the matter princess?” the robot said. “Slower now you’re a flesh bag?”

The robot hedgehog raised her hammer, one end opened to show a number of mini rockets that the fired at the princess. Suddenly a laser had detonated the rockets in midair, Bunnie stepped up and threw an extended punch at Metal Amy. “I’ll take care of Amy’s doppelganger Sally Girl!” the cyborg said tossing some keys at Sally. “Me and Twan’s car has an extreme gear in the back, use it and get the Sword of Light!”

Sally caught the keys. “Thanks, and don’t worry I’ll get Nicole back!” Then Sally ran out and after leaving the stadium hopped into the gear and sped off.


Amy felt like she was her hammer was being swung around in her own head, she looked around and found Lucian, Fiona and Charlemagne still out cold with Geoffrey and Hershey awake and hugging each other tightly.

“…I’m so sorry I didn’t let you know I was alive sooner,” Hershey cried. “Maybe then you wouldn’t have…”

“That doesn’t matter to me now,” said Geoffrey. “The only thing that matters is that we’re together again, whatever happens we’ll face it side by side.”

“I don’t know what’s going on but you two seem to.” Amy said getting their attention. Her Hammer appeared in her hands. “Why does Robotnick want us?! How could you work for him?!”

"Like Geoffery is bound to Naugus through their pact I was bound to serve Madam Witchcart and by extension the Order of Ixis," said Hershey. "Robotnick  made a deal with the Order, he'd help them get Chaos Emeralds in exchange for some weapon they found. As for you and the other prisoners all I know is that we're all needed for what the Order calls the 'Ixis Resurgence'. I don't know what it is, but Lord Specter wants powerful mages and Chaos Emeralds for it."

“Then I’m getting all of us out of here!” Amy began to strike the bubble with her hammer which shook off the blow.

Hershey shook her head. “Lord Specter made this sphere, it’s impenetrable.”

A short distance away Sonic and Metal Sonic ran through an explosion. Amy grinned as Lucian and Fiona began to stir. “I wouldn’t count us out just yet, Sonic’s going to wipe the floor these guys!”

The flying pod and the sphere underneath stopped on a rooftop. A Neoswat flew up transforming from jet mode and handed Regina the yellow emerald. “Perfect,” the Overlander said smirking. “We just need to wait for the blue emerald to be brought to us, then we just have to get the last one from the Hedgehog.”

“There is a greater prize to collect,” said Specter. He raised his hand and the magic bubble collapsed, those within stood and turned except for the still unconscious Charlemange. Specter levitated the purple emerald from Charlemagne and put it into his cloak. “The Grand Design calls for you to join the Order of Ixis. You may refuse now but you will join us to avoid dire consequences, this is not a threat, simply an inevitability.”

Amy growled. “Do you think someone put gullible pills in our breakfast this morning?! I’m not going join up with the bad guys just because you tell me it was preordained when you could just as easily be lying to us!”

“As if I’d ever join the guys who gave Ixis Magiks a bad name in the first place!” shouted Lucian. “I’d never betray my master like that!”

“Today a lot of people had forgiven me of a lifetime of crime and betrayal,” said Fiona. “I’m not going to throw that away by turning against them all over again!”

“Well I know your answer my apprentice,” said Witchcart. “I can simply order you to join and our pact…”

“Cannot be used in this case,” said Specter. “They have to join us of their own volition for the Grand Design to be fulfilled.”

“You blundered, Madam Witchcart,” Hershey hissed. “You gave me magical power and the knowledge to use it in exchange for servitude UNTIL I got my husband back! Naugus is gone, so both parts of our pact have been fulfilled! I’m taking him and we’ll find an isolated corner of the world to live the rest of our days in peace!”

Witchcart cackled. “You think THAT was the basis of our pact!? Stupid little girl, remember the first time we REALLY met back when you were a child, the promise you made your ‘fairy godmother’?!”

Hershey looked horrified. “No, then that means…”

“Like how Naugus had a means to keep Geoffrey under his thumb I simply have to not give the world a ‘happily ever after’ to make our pact last the rest of your life!”

Hershey fought tears back. “I may have to serve, but I’ll never join the Order!”

“Think carefully about this,” Witchcart said with a sneer. “You and your husband are now both guilty of treason, do you really think they will let you be together now? Join us or not the only chance you both have is to come with us.”

Geoffrey stood next to Hershey. “I chose duty over my heart once, I will never do it again. I will come with you, but I will not join and betray my beloved again!”

Witchcart sneered again. “If you both weren’t so valuable to us, I’d have you both know what it really would be like for you to grow old together, in the space of fifteen seconds!”

The sound of breaking glass below them turned Falke Wolf’s attention downward. “Hehehe! Sonic and his robot lookalike are getting closer!”

“Looks like some flyers are on their way,” said Carrotia as she pointed to Tails, Cream and Ray as they took out some flying Neo Swats. “I don’t think it’s smart for us to stay.”

Witchcart waved her hand at them. “Witchcarters, take care of the fox and any help he’s bringing. We’ll handle the hedgehog.”

“We’ll make mincemeat out ‘em!” Bearanger roared. The Witchcarters then flew off.

“Now as for the St. John’s if you don’t want to spend your days in sperate cells here or at our hideout you better help us secure the Overlander King and hold off the hedgehog until the other emeralds get here,” Mammoth said as he planted his cane firmly.

“…If that’s what it takes,” said Geoffrey as he formed a vacuum in his hand.

Amy however stood in front of the skunk Hammer at the ready. “Well I’m going to have to disagree with you on that one.”

Hershey had her hands catch fire. “This won’t be like your other fights with him, we’re a team for better or for worse.”

“A part of me hoped you’d get him to go back to be a good guy again,” sighed Amy. “But it looks it’s the other way around.”

“I won’t let you touch master!” said Lucian as his hands glowed aqua.

Fiona’s hands took on a yellow glow. “Ixis Magik versus Ixis Magik, time to see who had the better teacher.”

Amy charged only to find her movements halted when Regina caused a steel girder to burst from the floor and wrap around her like a snake.

The other Mobians then sent spells towards each other.

“Wind Cutter!”

“Flame Claw!”

“Hydro Sphere!”

“Diamond Darts!”

The blade of air, lash of flame, ball of water and swarm of sharp gems collided in mid-air causing a small explosion.

“Geoffrey lend me your wind!” Hershey said as she prepared a fireball. “Air feeds fire, together nothing can stop us!”

Geoffery began to blow a gust into the fireball making it bigger, but as Hershey launched it the orb of flame turned at a right angle and came to a stop in the palm of another cat’s hand.

“Wind does feed fire, but all flame is mine to command,” Blaze said as she stood on top of an antenna with the blue chaos emerald in the other hand. “You shouldn’t play with it unless you are prepared to get burned!”

As Blaze threw the fireball Silver looked on as he levitated nearby. {No, Blaze is attacking the Order! She might hit Hershey and Geoffrey by mistake!}

{We still can’t interfere yet!} Gold answered back using the mental link. {Not with her or those Mammoth wants to recruit until the Order makes their escape!}

{But they are interfering with each other! Blaze could wipe herself and us from existence!}

Suddenly a black hole appeared in front of the fireball and vanished as soon as it passed through.

“Ah, the emerald,” said Specter. “And an even greater prize.” He raised his hand Blaze found herself dragged to the roof by shadowy chains manacled to her wrists and ankles holding her rigid and upright. Specter then took the Emerald and passed it to Mammoth. “As much as the emeralds and these young people we need what you carry inside you!”

Specter reached for Blaze’s chest his hand seemed to phase inside of her as she screamed in pain.

“Princess!” Marine said as she swung in kicking Carrotia towards the lake in the park below. Tails and Ray did the same to the other Witchcarters while Cream and Cheese did what they could to make sure the villains landed in the lake safely.

“Witchcart, take care of those children,” said Specter. “Use the spell I told you to prepare.”

Witchcart nodded as behind her Fiona was dodging a lightning blast from Regina and Lucian conjured an ice wall to stop Viktor’s laser blast. “With pleasure my lord, I’m going to enjoy doing this to the fox boy who sealed me away for years!”

Witchcart shot a large orb made of a strange green light towards Tails, Cream, Ray and Marine. Cream only had just enough time push Cheese out of the path before the orb swallowed them then vanished as they fell towards the lake unconscious.

Sonic noticed just as he embedded Neo Metal Sonic into the wall. “Tails!”

“I’ll go get them!” said Silver. “Go save Blaze!”

“I’ll help him too!” Sally said as she flew in on the borrowed gear. “You might need this!”

Sally tossed the Sword of Light to Sonic who caught it as he ran up the wall. “Thanks guys! The only thing these guys will remember this Remembrance Day is the butt kicking I’m going to deliver!”

Sonic crested the peak of the roof and saw Specter reaching into Blaze on instinct he dove towards the mage ready to bring the Sword of Light down on him.

Without even turning Specter reached out and stopped the sword with his hand which seemed to burn at the blade’s touch. “Ah Sonic, you’ve brought the last emerald we need.” Suddenly specter tightened his grip on the blade causing it to shatter into pieces. “You’ll have you wait your turn; I’m almost done here.”

Blaze moaned in pain. “You… won’t… take my fire… away from me!”

“It’s not your fire I want, just what you’ve hidden within it.”

Specter pulled his hand out Blaze’s chest as she screamed, in it was what looked like an eye with a slit for a pupil wreathed in black flame.

The color drained from Blaze’s face. “That was inside of me!? What is that thing?!”

Specter encased the eye in crystal before stowing it in his robes. “All you need to know about it for now is that it’s mine.” Specter turned to Sonic. “All we need is your emerald, but you can put an end to all of this right now, join us and we can complete the Grand Design without putting your friends through further harm. Fulfil your destiny and their suffering can end now.”

Sonic just smirked back. “Does the phrase ‘go suck a lemon’ hold any meaning for you Masquerade? You might have trashed the Sword of Light but I’m a Freedom Fighter to the end and I’ll never give up!”

“Freedom is an illusion; the fate of all mortals has been determined since the beginning of time. The Grand Design cannot be stopped, the best you can hope for is to delay it ever so slightly, to think otherwise is foolish.”

“Then call me a fool.”

“Indeed, for you have forgotten not all your foes here possess Ixis Magiks.”

Sonic turned to Robotnick’s flying pod. The scientist held out Nicole’s handheld like temping bait.

“Let’s trade Hedgehog,” Viktor smirked as his eyes turned black. “This piece of junk with the AI that wants to be a real girl inside for your Chaos Emerald, otherwise I wipe everything from its memory including, Nicole was it? I already took most of the steps all I must do now is push a button. You might be fast enough to keep me from erasing the holo-lynx from existence but are you willing to take that risk?”

Sonic growled as he tossed the cyan emerald to Robotnick. “Don’t get too attached, I’m going to snag it back.”

Viktor caught the emerald. “So predictable that you’d play the hero. I on the other hand…” Viktor used his cybernetic enhanced strength to crush Nicole’s handheld as he laughed maniacally. “…have already transferred her program to protected memory on the Colossus, so I have an AI to study and your emerald!”

Sonic looked like he was about to pop a vein. “When I get my hands on you lying sack of…!”

Viktor tossed the Emerald to Specter. “That concludes my part of our deal. I know you people have your own escape planned so I’ll take my leave, but I expect my weapon soon! All units, initiate transmat recall!”

“You’re not going anywhere Mister Perfect!”

Sonic tried to spin dash Viktor only to hit thin air as he teleported away.

“My order we have all we need for now,” said Specter. “We must return to the Temple. Zone Gate!”

A portal shimmered purple in mid-air, Regina and Mammoth were quick to enter.

“What about my Witchcarters?!” Witchcart screamed. “I put a lot of work into those servants they’re…”

“Expendable. The Grand Design will grant you better minions, provided you are not captured here.”

Witchcart began to pilot her namesake vehicle through the portal. “Those had better be some good minions,” she said as she started to pass. “Oh, I almost forgot.” Witchcart clenched her fist lighting a rune on the back of her hand and levitated Hershey over. “Come along Apprentice!”

“Wait!” said Geoffrey. “Take me with her!”

“Sorry but you’re all staying put!” Sonic said as he started to run after them.

“I never wanted to do something this undignified, but you left me no choice.”

Geoffery turned his back to Sonic and the other heroes and from his tail sprayed a thick cloud of smelly musk over Sonic, Lucian, Amy, Fiona and the still unconscious Charlemagne.

“Ugh!” Lucian yelled as they sank to their knees, tears in their eyes. “It’s like something crawled up my nose and died!”

Witchcart crossed over with Hershey in tow and Geoffrey right on their heels.

“Until the next time the Grand Design makes our paths cross,” Specter then floated through the portal which then vanished.

The shadowy chains vanished from Blaze’s wrists and ankles, Sonic however just punched the roof. “They got all the Chaos Emeralds! They have Geoffrey and Hershey and they got whatever that thing in Blaze was! I haven’t lost this badly since Infinite had me locked up at the beginning of the Phantom Ruby War! Man, this stinks!”

“Not to mention the rest of us,” Amy said as Fiona used and conjured diamond to cut the girder that had wrapped around her. “I think we can all use a hot shower, for more than one reason.”

“At least they didn’t get Master Charlemagne and the rest of us,” said Lucian. “But we better get him to a hospital fast.”

“Wait,” said Blaze. “What about Marine, and the others that got blasted down there?!”

Sonic looked over the edge. “Tails! Cream! Ray!”

“No,” said Fiona. “I just got my family back! I don’t want to lose anyone in it again!”

“You go help them,” said Lucian. “I can handle Master on my own.”

A short time later Sonic found Sally in the park along with Silver, Gold and Mighty. Sally ran up to Sonic for a hug. “Sonic you’re…” she stopped short and pinched her nose closed. “…smelling really bad!”

Sonic groaned. “A little souvenir from Geoffrey, he and Hershey are both with Mr. Perfect’s magic buddies. But we’ll worry about that later, how’s Tails and the others?”

Sally looked nervous. “They seem to be fine; we lowered their descent enough for them to land safely in the lake. That’s the good news.”

“Then what’s the bad news?!” Blaze asked. “What’s wrong with Marine?!”

“It’s not so much bad news as it is weird news, we laid them down nearby and I think you should see it for yourselves.”

“Mind if we take care of something first?” asked Gold. “I need to help Blaze for the sake of our mission.”

“Do I know you?” Blaze asked the Tenrec.

Gold put her hand on Blaze’s forehead as the circle mark on her head glowed. “You will now.”

A moment later Blaze had a look of realization. “Gold, Silver, the future…I remember, I was sent through time and dimensions, became a kid again, lost my memory all after…” Blaze then looked even more horrified than she did when the eye was pulled out from her fire. “Iblis!”

“It’s ok Blaze,” said Silver. “Solaris was erased from time, our mission…”

“You don’t understand! Iblis, its essence was sealed within my inner flame. Specter pulled it out and sealed it within a crystal!”

Gold and Silver became terrified. “You mean that Order of Ixis has the essence of a fire god that destroyed the future once and they might be able to revive it?!” asked Gold.

“I don’t know what they want with it, but it can’t lead to anything good.”

“Not to mention they have all the Chaos Emeralds,” moaned Sonic. “Robotnick forced me to trade mine for Nicole, only for him to pull the bait and switch on me, she’s still his prisoner.”

“This has not been the Freedom Fighter’s best day,” said Sally. “Viktor made fools of us all, he’s won this round almost completely.”

“We can worry latter,” said Amy. “What about Tails and the others?”

“This way,” said Mighty. “But you may want to brace yourselves. I already saw Ray and still can’t believe it.”

They were taken to a set of bushes, nearby the Witchcarters were starting to stir.

“Feels like I had a bad dream, Carrotia was doing an evil scheme,” the white rabbit said holding her head.

“Hehehehe yeah, that crone brainwashed us,” said Falke. “Made us her slaves. Hehehehe, it’s be funny if it wasn’t so awful.”

“She’s gonna pay for what she did to us,” said Bearenger as he tried to slowly get up. “As soon as Mobius stops spinning that is.”

“Might be a good idea to have the hospital check them out,” said Fiona. “I wouldn’t put it past them to be lying about it, I’d have done the same thing not all that long ago.”

“Sonic, Aunt Sally, Cousin?” came a voice that Sonic didn’t place right away. “Must have took a branch to the throat or something, my voice doesn’t sound right. Why are you all looking at me like that and why do some of you smell so bad?”

Sonic gulped. “You may want to check out your reflection…little…buddy.”

“Sonic what are you…?” Tails had waved his hand at Sonic only to find it bigger than he remembered, his gloves in tatters. “What the…?!” Tails went to the pond and looked in. The reflection of a barefoot two-tailed fox of about fifteen stared back at him. “S-Sonic, what’s happened to me!?”

“Now Tails, we’ll figure this out,” said Sally.

“You mean figure this out?” said fifteen-year-old yellow furred flying squirrel that came up from out of the bushes along a with a raccoon girl of fifteen. Both Ray’s jacket and Marine’s clothes were torn after their wearers outgrew them “Mighty, I think we have a problem.”

“Ah, Princess,” said Marine as she covered her now impressive chest. “Can you or somebody else get me a shirt or something? Not that I’m ashamed, I’m just not used to ‘carrying so much cargo on the upper decks’ to coin a phrase.”

“Cheese told me Cream fell near here!” Vanilla said as she came onto the scene. “Is my baby alright?!”

“Mother?” said a Fifteen-year-old rabbit girl with a tuft of orange hair on her forehead and the tatters that were once her orange dress before taking a good look at herself and blushed embarrassingly.

“Cream!?”

Both doe rabbits then promptly fainted.


On the Colossus Snivley ran up to the recently returned Viktor. “Ma-Huh… you never told me how you wanted me to address you. Lord, Master?”

“Doctor will suffice until my rule is official,” said Viktor. “I take it you have something to report?”

“Yes, Doctor Robotnick. Lilith has informed me that something came from through a portal like the ones the Order of Ixis use, I had it sent to an isolation chamber in lab two…”

“I have to see it! Snively keep up!” Viktor then hurried to the lab.

“Wait Doctor! Your predecessors didn’t run as fast as you or run that much in general!”

A short time later Viktor was staring at a rusty metallic sphere about the size of the average Mobian inside a glass cylinder. “Lower the isolation screen, it’s inert.”

“You freed me and traded six Chaos Emeralds for that?” asked Snivley as the tube slid into the floor. “Not that I’m ungrateful, but I think you got scammed.”

“You would think that with your limited intellect, but it’s still intact enough for me to reverse engineer and from that I can mass produce my own.” Viktor touched the device almost caressing it. “In hours I will have a stockpile of the most influential weapons this planet has ever known. Strange, for some reason I’d thought it’d be bigger.”

“The most influential weapon on Mobius…” Snively began to back away from the sphere like it was radioactive, which for all he knew it was. “You mean this is a…”

“Lilith scan its structure and send the schematics to the orbital factories. I want to run a test a soon as possible, preferably before tomorrow morning, I’ve already come up with a test that should avoid notice until the actual attack. Snivley in the meantime I want you to go over this thing with a fine-tooth comb, take it apart, put it back together, turn it upside down and inside out. I want to know everything about how it works, how it can misfire, any weaknesses and most importantly how we might have to protect ourselves before the first copy comes off the assembly line!”

“Of course,” said Lilith. “A structural scan shouldn’t take me more than thirty minutes.

Snively approached the rusty ball cautiously. “Unfortunately, I’ll have to pull an all-nighter for this one.”

“I’ll make sure you’re provided with plenty of coffee.” Viktor then smiled. “Cheer up Snivley, we’re going to bring back the good old days.”


The Order of Ixis then emerged in Specter’s darkened chamber. Geoffrey stormed up to Witchcart. “Let her go, you miserable old hag! I don’t know what horrible things you made her do but take me in her place! My life back in the Republic of Acorn is pretty much over but I can still free her like she did me!”

“Geoffrey no!” Hershey cried. “It was my choice, leave here, find somewhere quiet to live away from all this!”

Specter however laughed. “I don’t think either of know your current situation, but you will. Mammoth it’s time to discuss the next step of the Grand Design, you know what I require.”

Mammoth Mogul sighed. “All good things must come to an end,” he pointed his cane to the ceiling. “Zone Gate.”

A portal opened and out dropped a very ragged looking Ixis Naugus who after hitting the floor with a grunt got up panting.

“I’m sorry,” said Mogul. “I thought I sent you to the zone where Mobians are Mobini with special powers that humans kept in little balls, not the one where Robotnick unleashed a plague that turned most living things into flesh eating zombies. I always get the locations of those two mixed up.”

Naugus growled. “Well seeing as my hold over the Republic has been destroyed, I’ll just take my apprentice and leave.”

“Don’t be in such a hurry Naugus,” said Specter. “You may have lost a throne, but you’re being given a seat at the table. I am inviting you to rejoin the Order of Ixis, as part of its Supreme Council.”

“And why should I serve you?” He glared daggers at Mogul. “Especially since he just tried to feed me to the undead!”

“You’re still alive, aren’t you?” asked Mogul.

“Even if you make him accept you, he can’t force me join!” said Geoffrey. “That’s what you told Hershey; a pact can’t force us to be part of what you want!”

Specter glared at the two Mobians. “Naugus, Witchcart, send your apprentices out for now. This matter doesn’t concern them yet. Don’t worry Naugus, neither of them can get very far.”

Witchcart used the pact rune on Hershey causing her to kneel in pain. “You heard Lord Specter.”

Naugus sighed and use his Rune on Geoffrey with the same effect. “Leave us until I call you again.”

The couple walked through a heavy door that closed behind them.

Once the pain subsided Geoffrey looked to Hershey. “What did he mean by us not getting far?”

Hershey started walking away. “Follow me.”

Geoffrey was led out to a balcony and was surprised at the surroundings. They were surrounded by several volcanoes that jutted out of the ocean, the building they were on was on a similar peak, but not erupting. “Devil’s Gulag!? Mobius’ most inescapable prison?”

“Once,” said Hershey. “But the volcanic activity has been increasing, forcing them to abandon the prison. But the Order took the structure over to harness the elemental power inherent here and reshaped it into this, The Temple of Ixis. I’m so sorry, I was trying to free you from Naugus but Witchcart fooled me again. You’re still as much his slave as I am hers.”

Geoffrey moved her so they looked into each other’s eyes. “At least we’ll be slaves together, which is a lot more than I’ve had in a long time.

“We’re two of a kind,” said Hershey. “It’s enough for now, not forever, but for now.”

“You heard my story, but how did you end up working for that hag? What did she mean by you forming the pact sooner that you thought?”

Hershey looked back to the ocean. “My mother was one of the best teachers in the Kingdom of Acorn, but I never sat in on a single lesson of hers. As a child I was very sickly, they never let me go out to play and I was often bedridden, but mother she still tried to do what she could. She read me fairy tales even some the Overlanders passed down for longer than they could remember, my favorites were stories called Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty. Uncle Mars didn’t approve and since my father died when I was a baby, he was the closest thing to a dad I had. Then mother started doing scouting work with Mrs. Hedgehog, to Uncle Mars’ disapproval, but she kept going until…”

“I’ve heard, she vanished while trying to track down the escaped Colin Kintobor and was later confirmed killed in action.”

“I cried myself to sleep, especially since Uncle Mars told Mrs. Hedgehog it was her fault that mother went out instead of staying with…” Hershey sobbed. “Staying with a sick little girl who wasn’t going to get any better. I lost all hope, until she came.

“She wasn’t like how the storybooks had shown fairies; she was a beautiful white cat with feathery blue wings. She touched me and for the first time I felt healthy and for the most part been that way ever since. She said my mother sent her before she went away to be my fairy godmother, that I’d find my own Prince Charming that I could help so many people if she would teach me. She made me promise to do to what she asked and help everyone find a happily ever after and she’d teach me in return.”

“Witchcart can disguise herself, can’t she?”

“Yes, as I’d learn years later. Everyone was astounded by my sudden recovery, playing outside and going to school seemed wonderful, but Uncle Mars wanted me to stop playing make believe, that I should be more careful in case I got sick again. I yelled at him thinking he wanted to take my godmother away, I said I hated him, I wished something bad would happen to him… then the next day he was roboticized. I called to my fairy godmother that I didn’t mean it, I wanted to take the wish back, but I never heard back from her. I later realized it was all on Robotnick and I told myself that I imagined the whole thing, but it still shook me up enough that I didn’t trust myself, that left me open for Drago to trick me into almost killing Princess Sally.”

“Hershey, maybe if we weren’t so ashamed of childhood foolishness, we could have helped each other like a husband and wife should. What happened that day I thought you died?”

“You know the mission, I was supposed to look into the DEL chapter in Soumerica, but Drago, as stupid as he is, remembered my scent. He wanted to see what I was up to then blew the whistle. I had to use a few of the explosives I brought with me to fake my death, but it got them off my tail. I was weighing my options at the time, going back was my first idea but I wasn’t a hundred percent sure they bought it, that same reasoning kept me from hiding out with the Felidae, I spent several days thinking things through when my birthday came around and someone left a cake near my hiding place.

“Next thing I knew the fairy I thought I imagined when I was a kid was singing ‘happy birthday’ to me. I thought I was losing it at first until she touched me like she did back then, and I felt her. She showed me her real form and told me she had to hide her appearance because of the war, that it would easier to protect me if she used a guise a child could understand. Witchcart wanted to begin my training in earnest, that one day the magic I’d learn would help everyone and save you from something horrible. At first it was like I was living in one of those fairy tales, I was learning magic and every so often she sent me on a task to help her, but then she sent me on a task with the Witchcarters. The way they started bullying the people of a village I knew something was wrong, so I confronted Witchcart and it was then she shown her true colors.”

“And here we are,” said Geoffrey as he looked out to sea with her.

“Not quite, I tried to leave but then she shown me that the Pact allowed her to control me. It was then she finally told me the truth about how she found me. She came upon my mother, mortally wounded by shrapnel from the Overlander’s artillery. Mother begged her to make sure I was ok; she probably couldn’t tell from all the smoke who she was talking to. Witchcart told me she decided to apprentice me then, but that a dying woman didn’t need youth and beauty…” Hershey continued to sob. “Witchcart aged my mother to death to fuel her magic! All that time I trusted and loved the monster who killed my mother!”

Geoffrey growled. “I thought I lost everything when I thought you died, but you suffered so much…I swear I’m going to find a way to free us both from our pacts or die trying!”

The two went into a deep kiss.

“It’s been a long day for both of us,” Hershey said once they finished. “I’ll show you where they’ve been letting me stay, after dinner and a good night’s sleep we can start coming up with a plan in the morning.”

Despite the situation they both felt a glimmer of hope.


At the same time Specter had slipped his mask back into place. “I trust that this will remain a secret between the six of us for now or you’ll face the consequences.”

“That does explain a great many things,” said Naugus. “But that doesn’t mean I will call you or anyone else master!”

“Everyone serves another or dies alone, but servitude is not imprisonment. You will serve me but others, a great many others, will serve you in turn. You will find more power on this path than as the despot of one nation.”

“If that is the case may I be so bold as to pose a question to you Lord Specter?” asked Mogul. “Who or what is it that you call master?”

“It’s obvious!” grumbled Regina. “This Grand Design he always goes on about.”

“Not quite Ferrum,” said Specter. 

Specter raised his arms, torches and braziers the room lit flooding the room with light. A curved table was directly behind with nine ornate seats the one in the center more akin to a throne. But even the throne was dwarfed by a large statue of a monstrous figure behind it. It only shown the creature from the waist up, but it had a muscular chest with four powerful arms each ending in a clawed hand with six fingers including two thumbs on opposite ends. The head had a large pair of horns, a gaping maw with fangs and six eyes that along with the mouth shown the hollow space inside where a large flame burned giving the impression that the eyes and mouth were glowing.

“Behold the Architect of the Grand Design, the Dreamer in the Dark, Lord of the Primordial Night and the true genesis of our power. Ixis, the primeval god of the void.”

Witchcart shrugged. “Hmm, never took you for the religious type.”

Mammoth looked at the statue with a strange familiarity. “Yes, when I first discovered magic through the Chaos Force I heard the name Ixis whispered. I thought it was the power itself, but you say it is this…being?”

“Ixis Magiks are his gift to those he has chosen to carry out the Grand Design. He ruled the void that was there before time and space began, then many eons ago lesser beings united their power and rose against him. These Chaos Titans sealed Ixis away within the Chaos Force and set about the work of creation, but Ixis was still able to influence the universe through the Chaos Force. He had created the Grand Design, set the cosmos to follow it and when it is complete the usurpers will be cast from their stolen perch, chaos will be set to order and creation will be ruled by Ixis again as it was always meant to be.”

Naugus sneered. “So, you expect me to believe your little fairy tale and follow you for that reason?”

“When the time comes all mortal eyes will be opened and bow before Ixis in worship, until then he requires only your service, not your belief. But if you want a practical reason to follow than I shall demonstrate our next goal. There are two steps to the next part of the Grand Design, the first is the Ixis Resurgence, the restoration of the Order not only to its former numbers but in time to its true master. With you the Supreme Council is complete, we would only need the Elite then through the power we demonstrate others will answer our call. We already have the seven Chaos Emeralds for the second phase, we need gather only a few other things for the Elite to continue to carry it out.”

Ixis took the crystal with the flaming eye out, it floated through the air until it rested on the statue’s upper right hand. “The essence of Iblis, a being of pure elemental fire. Now watch what happens when it is exposed to the power of the Chaos Emerald.”

Specter took out the purple emerald and held it before the eye. Fire came from it as light from the emerald shone the flames then formed a flaming quadrupedal monster that almost immediately began to charge Naugus.

“Back!” said the Hybrid as he threw a water spell at it. The creature was instantly destroyed only to instantly reform.

Specter stopped using the Emerald and the monster vanished. “One emerald, with one essence. Imagine the power of all seven using not only an essence of fire, but ones of water, earth and wind as well. We will have an immortal unstoppable army.”

Naugus grinned wickedly. “I like the way you think Lord Specter, very well I’m in. Now what should I have my apprentice do to bring about this Ixis Resurgence?”

“Nothing yet as well as the rest of us, the next move belongs to Robotnick. As he plots the other pieces will move into place and we will have our generals then the Elemental War can begin.”

With a wave of his hand images of Geoffrey, Hershey, Fiona and Lucian appeared.

“Yes, the Four Elite will be the perfect ones to command the elementals,” said Mogul.

“Not quite, the elementals would come into conflict with each other. To unify them we don’t need the Four Elite…” Specter waved his hand again making an image of Amy appear. “But the Five Elite!”


After Sonic had a good scrubbing, he went to check in on Tails with the other Freedom Fighters. In a corner of a damaged waiting room the fox was being looked over by Doctor Quack and a rabbit woman with long blond hair and a cybernetic left arm that seemed to have medical equipment built in scanning him and the others who were turned from kids into teenagers. The four of them were given hospital gowns, much to Cream’s relief.

“Well whatever did it doesn’t seem to have left any residuals,” said the rabbit doctor. “Ah’d say there’s no danger of y’all suddenly getting even older.”

“That good to hear Aunt Lulumae,” said Bunnie.

“I’d like to keep them in observation for tonight, but we can discharge them first thing in the morning,” said Doctor Quack. “They have a few scrapes and bruises but other that they’re perfectly normal.”

“Normal!?” Vanilla said taking a break from breathing into a paper bag. “My daughter has just had an eight-year growth spurt! Can’t you find some way to get Cream back to her sweet little self?”

“Unfortunately, we’re fresh out of ultimate lifeforms,” said Sonic.

“No, just ones who can pull that trick off again,” Shadow said as he and Rouge came into the room. “We just arrived when we heard about the attack on you. I’ll say this about this new Robotnick, hitting both GUN HQ and the Republic’s capital in the same day he’s bold.”

“What about King Charlemagne?” asked Rosemary. “There has to be something he can do for Tails and the others.”

“He’s still unconscious,” said Lucian. “Otherwise he would have given the crown back to Maximillian already. But I don’t think he can just reverse this, when asked he me to be magically aged he warned me there’d be no going back before I agreed to have it done. I’m surprised you were able to do as much as you’ve done for Rouge, these guys are lucky that we aren’t seeing a geriatrician right now.”

“That’s the weird part, I don’t think it was luck,” said Tails shifting in his chair. “I know from experience how vindictive Witchcart is, if she wanted that spell could have turned us to stone instead of push us past puberty. No, she or this Specter guy wanted us to be this way, the question is why?”

“That’s something we can’t readily figure out right now,” said Sally. “While we’ve dealt with most of the Order of Ixis’ members before we have next to nothing about its mastermind, so we’ll just have to wait and see. But how do you all feel right now? This is big change for you and probably a permanent one.”

“I think I’ll be fine,” Tails said as his father put a concerned hand on his shoulder. The fact that his now extended family was here made it easier. “I mean stuff like this was going to happen naturally to me soon anyway, I just have a bit more to deal with at once.”

“Kind of the same for me,” said Ray. “I mean if you think about it if that mix up with the power stone in that base didn’t happen this is roughly how old I’d be anyway.”

Cream looked worried. “My… my head is still swimming from it all. Dr. Rabbot gave me a book to help explain some these feelings and changes to my body, but I just keep getting more confused…”

“Oh, my baby,” Vanilla said giving her daughter a hug. “I thought you’d still have another five or six years until you needed to know about how a girl becomes a woman. But we’ll get through this, is there anything you want to know more about?”

“There are a couple of phrases in book I don’t understand, estrus and anterior cloaca, what do those mean?”

Vanilla blushed. “Um let’s wait until we’re alone to discuss that.”

“Marine are you going to be ok?” asked Sally. “You’ve been quiet since we got here.”

“I… can get used to what happened to me, but I’m not so sure about Blaze. Since this happened, she hasn’t been acting the same around me.”

Blaze who’d been nearby had snapped out of a reverie. “I’m sorry Marine, it’s just before that Gold restored some lost memories and it turns out I had a whole life in the future I only just now remembered. I’m still trying to make sense of a lot of it.”

“But there’s something about me that’s bothering you, I can tell.”

“It’s stupid, but before I got a second childhood when I was sent to the Sol Zone, I didn’t like that I had a small bust and I got jealous of girls with large ones.”

“And now mine’s bigger than yours,” Marine covered her chest with her arms.

“Like I said it’s stupid and I’m trying to keep that part of myself in the past, future, whatever. I have a lot to be proud of so there’s no use in me getting worked up over something neither of us can change.”

“Nice to hear,” Rouge said as she came up to Blaze. “Since that is one department, I’ve always outclassed you in.”

“Not this morning from what I heard,” Fiona said to her longtime rival. “And just remember, that’s still in your future.”

“Not if I can help it,” The bat fumed back.

Blaze decided to use the other something Gold gave her. {Gold, Silver, can you hear me?}

{Yes,} Silver replied. {The link is working.}

{Good as much as Marine is worried about me, I can’t tell her the thing that’s bothering me the most. If Specter hadn’t stopped me, I might have…}

{It’s not your fault,} said Gold. {There was no way for you to know.}

{I hate it, it’s bad enough that we must let these Ixis guys get their hands on their elites but what Mammoth is going to do to them on top of that… I can’t believe I thought of him like a father once.}

{We don’t have a choice,} said Silver. {It’s that or we cease to exist and then we can’t keep Sonic from getting killed and leaving Mobius in the hands of a dystopian regime.}

{Don’t worry, since the Sol Zone was merged with the Prime Zone, this world is just as much my home as it is yours}

“Alright we should all rest up after the day we’ve had,” said Sally. “Hopefully tomorrow we’ll come up with a way to find Robotnik and rescue Nicole.”

As everyone began to disperse Sonic found a familiar hand on his shoulder. “Before you two head off, I’d like to speak with you and the princess in private,” said Knuckles.

Sonic nodded back. “Don’t worry, I have just the place.”


The three were gathered on the roof of the building he and his parents were living in. “So, what’s so important?” asked Sally.

“I’ll put this simply,” said Knuckles. “Once Ray is discharged tomorrow, we’ll all be heading back to Angel Island and putting our search for Thrash on hold, perhaps for quite a awhile.”

Sally gasped. “But what about The Echidna or Saffron or Julie?! Why are you just giving up?!”

“I’m not giving up, but the Order of Ixis has the Chaos Emeralds and the Master Emerald can neutralize them, it might only be a matter of time until they try to take it. Fix-it is acting as a sentry but as powerful as they’ve become the emerald can’t be unguarded. That’s why…I need your help…”

“Excuse me?” Sonic asked confused.

“The Destructix might still be looking for our warp ring, but they might also be trying to find an alternative way into the Twilight Cage. So, while you’re trying to hunt down Robotnick can you also look for those dirtbags? It’s…the only way we keep the search going and be sure my people have a home to go back to.”

“I bet that hurt,” said Sonic. “But sure, I could probably get it done faster than you anyway.”

“It must take a lot for you to set your pride aside,” said Sally. “But I as far as I’m concerned, the Chaotix were always Freedom Fighters, we’ll do all…we…can…to…” Sally seemed to be looking past Knuckles. “What the heck is that?”

Knuckles turned around as Sonic tried to pick up what Sally was getting at. They soon noticed a flying object that seemed to be heading in their direction.

“Doesn’t look like any airship I’ve ever seen,” said Knuckles. “Why hasn’t anyone else noticed it?”

“As if we hadn’t enough to deal with today!” said Sonic. “Now we might have to fight…the giant floating head of a cow?”

To their disbelief a cow’s head the size of a small building was nearly on top of them. It had white fur with a patch for brown over its left eye and where the rest of the cow would be was a disc with purple lights reminiscent of the underside of a flying saucer. Just as the head was at the edge of the building it reared back then spat out three spittle covered Mobians, an older fox in brown robes, an elderly echidna with a wooden staff and rainbow colored beads on his dreadlocks, and what looked like Sonic wearing high tech armor.

“Zonic?” the original hedgehog asked. “What’s going on, why are you with Merlin and Athair?”

“I’ll explain what I can,” said Zonic. “Ok the obvious one out of the way the big guy is Cudley, he’s a trans-dimensional cowlick.”

“Greeting friends,” Cudley said in cordial manner.

“Ever since Eggman set off his genesis waves the Cosmic Interstate has been in bad shape, travel between zones is next to impossible even for us Zone Cops. Lucky for us Cudley was passing through our multiverse and was willing to take the three of us here.”

Knuckles huffed as he turned his back on his great-grandfather and Tail’s uncle. “And how did they even get to the No Zone?”

“We’ll come to that shortly,” said Athair. “First this young man has some questions he has to ask you quickly so he can return home, the situation there is all hands on-deck.”

“Dr. Nega?” asked Sonic.

“We have him locked up tight thankfully,” said Zonic. “But my zone and several others took a lot of damage, I have to do what I can to fix things so we can see the full situation. Now I need to know, have you heard anything from the zone Sourge renamed Moebius?”

“Dr. Finitivus tried to get there months ago,” said Knuckles. “But he was blocked by some sort of barrier, Fiona and the Destructix came back but Fiona doesn’t remember what happened there and I don’t think the Destructix do either, when we fought them last they just said Scourge and Fiona must have deserted them, needless to say they weren’t forthcoming on the details.”

“Well, if you do hear anything signal me,” Zonic gave Sally a device. “I’ll get back as soon as I can but that could be awhile. During Dr. Nega’s attack all of our prisoners from that Mobius were sprung and it seems like they returned there. Normally, they’d be the problem of their home zone if they returned but something on this scale we can’t just ignore.”

“Fiona isn’t in trouble with you guys, is she?” Sally asked. “I know she might have had a hand in it but I recently got some sympathy for her situation and I don’t want her taken from her family, they’ve already been through enough.”

“As long as she stays in her home zone, she’s under your jurisdiction. But if she does recall something about what happened to Moebius and is forthcoming with that information, we’ll willing to reduce her sentence with us to time already served.”

“Thank you, I promise we’ll do what we can.”

“Alright then my work here is done,” Zonic turned back to the cowlick. “I’m ready to go home, I know you’re usually used to carrying turtles in your multiverse, but we appreciate your service.”

“You’re welcome Zonic,” said Cudley. “Just relax and you’ll be there in no time.”

With a mighty slurp Cudley licked up Sonic’s counterpart and the flew off into the night sky vanishing.

“Well that was weird,” said Sonic.

“I’m afraid it gets even weirder,” said Athair. “We’re going to need you, my great-grandson here and the chosen one in the days to come.”

Knuckles snarled. “I’m glad Tails has gotten you so impressed, considering that you ultimately chose him over your commitment to be a guardian!”

“You’re still hung up on that? I would think that after leaving Angel Island to lead the Resistance you would understand that doing what most needs to be done comes before traditions!”

“You knew?”

“The Neo Walkers are able to see everything going on from the Chaos Force,” said Merlin. “Or at least we did.”

“Wait a minute,” Knuckles looked around. “If you’re both here, why isn’t Aurora?”

Athair sighed. “That is part of why we are now here. It was shortly after the Phantom Ruby War as you call it began, Merlin had just joined us in full and we began to combine our efforts to reach the levels of our predecessors. During this we began to sense other presences within the Chaos Force, we weren’t sure if the Ancient Walkers knew of these entities or they simply weren’t able to tell us before they died but we reached out to them. We found eight of them in total, seven considered themselves kindred spirits to us who protected our universe. They called themselves Chaos Titans.”

“The Chaos Titans?!” Sonic shouted. “They visited me in a dream last night, they were the ones who had Fiest give me the Chaos Emerald I used to save Ash, the one Robotnick ended up taking! They said something about an agent of ancient force I have to stop.”

“This is most concerning,” said Merlin. “If they are intervening, even in such an indirect manner then situation has been more grave than we imagined. We have to contact my nephew at once!”

“I’m afraid he’s been through a bit today,” said Sally. “He’s recovering from a spell that aged him a few years...” One explanation later. “And that’s the whole story.

 “I sense his influence in these events,” said Athair. “The eighth felt malicious, but to Aurora it was also familiar. She told us she felt these sensations twice. The second time was when the Order of Ixis was rising as a power which prompted her to reveal herself to our people to establish the Knights of Aurora.”

“And the first?” asked Sonic.

“The first was when she had originally merged with the Chaos Force, when Enerjak was corrupted and she was forced to seal him away. She felt she began to understand this presence, that it influenced members of the Order and perhaps was responsible for Enerjak’s corruption. She thought if we could channel our power into her, she could purge this influence from Enerjak, we thought it would prevent him from ever incarnating again but I think she hoped it would bring her husband back to her.”

“But it went wrong.” Knuckles said. “That’s why she’s not here.”

“She’s here,” said Merlin. “She and Enerjak both.”

The Neo Walkers reached into their robes and each pulled out an white ovoid object.

“Echidna eggs!? Are you telling me these eggs are going to hatch into Aurora and Enerjak?”

Athiar nodded. “The malevolent force did play a part in Enerjak’s corruption and had attempted to do the same to us. We were tempted, tortured and when we refused to give in it drained most of our power. Aurora however wouldn’t abandon her husband again. She did reach him but in doing so left themselves both open to be corrupted by this force, they found the only way for both to escape was to shed their power and be completely reborn. If they would have any memory left it won’t surface until they mature again. We had to use the last of our energies to escape with them and wound up in the No Zone. But the malevolence is still in the Chaos Force trying to emerge into our world, we wouldn’t stand a chance if Ixis ever manifests physically.

“Ixis!?” asked Sally. “But we’ve been led to believe that Ixis Magiks can be used for good, Amy is already using it! Were we lied to?”

“You were given a half-truth,” said Merlin. “But perhaps one non even Mammoth Mogul realized when he introduced Ixis Magik to Mobius. Yes, the intention of the user determines if it manifests as dark magic, but even when used for good it is a double-edged sword. Using Ixis Magik leaves one vulnerable to Ixis’ influence, he can shape their thoughts and personalities however he wishes. It seems your friends have been of no use to him yet or for now they’re more useful to him as they are, but the only way Lucian, Fiona, Charlemagne and Amy can ever be truly safe is if they stop using Ixis Magik as soon as possible!”

Sally nodded. “Alright, we’ll tell them first thing in the morning, hopefully they’ll listen to reason.”

“Merlin you better retake your position as court magician,” said Athair. “I’ll return to Angel Island in case this Order decides to take the Master Emerald. Knuckles, I’ll contact you if there’s danger while you continue your search but stay here until you do find a lead. You, Sonic and Tails were each given a special destiny, it might take all three of your powers to ensure Ixis never escapes the Chaos Force.”

“Thanks,” said Knuckles. “Perhaps I was a bit hard on you, but you can count on me.”

Sonic smirked. “Alright, first we’ll take down Mr. Perfect and then whenever this Ixis thing’s agent tries to get the creep out of his prison we’ll beat ‘em so bad he’ll never want to get out again!”

Chapter 10: Something’s in the Air

Summary:

Nicole tries to escape from the Colossus with an old friend, people in Freedom City are acting strange while the Freedom Fighters try find a way to track Viktor, an unexpected lead pops up that could lead the Chaotix to their lost friends and Mammoth begins making moves of his own.

Chapter Text

“There,” Snively said as he put an electronic pad on Viktor’s desk. “It took me all night, but I here’s everything I learned about the rust bucket.”

Robotnick picked the pad up and read over it carefully. “And the probability for a worst-case scenario?”

“Surprisingly it’s practically nonexistent. It would require a sudden infusion of chaos energy in an environment that had been nearly absent of it during activation, a situation which simply no longer applies to Mobius. Our weapons should be able to function as they were originally intended.”

Viktor put the pad down and moved to a window to the undersea hanger outside where the Colossus was being repaired and painted. “The more I learn about the artifact the less I think of it as a mere weapon. It is, but it also has the potential to be a powerful tool. As precise as a surgeon’s scalpel and like a sculptor’s chisel able to turn the natural into works of supreme art.”

“Well I just think what I found proves that things turned out the way they did because of some great cosmic accident of timing. Those animals never deserved to be where they are now, they…urk!”

Viktor’s eyes turned black as he grabbed Snively by the throat and lifted him into the air while choking him. “Are not to be underestimated! I don’t care if you hate Mobians, just don’t jeopardize the rise of the Robotnick Ascendancy with the carelessness of your simple prejudices! My superiority is to be proven, not taken for granted understand?!”

Viktor dropped the Overlander who began gasping for air. “Yes doctor, it won’t happen again.”

Robotnick’s eyes became blue again. “Good now onto business. The test of the artifact copies range and precision will be conducted immediately then we’ll gather data to ensure maximum effectiveness to the actual attack. I have already set the parameters to ensure that the effects will be noticeable for observation but not so noticeable as to cause a panic allowing the full-scale assault to have maximum effectiveness. Lilith in the meantime run the ‘wake up’ protocol in protected memory for our guests, then prepare to run experiment Prometheus.”

The image of Lilith on a screen on the wall smiled. “You mean if this works…”

Viktor smiled back. “…then it’s moving day! I wouldn’t have my ascendancy without my oldest ally at my side.”

“But if she’s going to have her own body, then who’s going to be our computer?” Snively asked.

“I already have that covered,” said Lilith. “I wrote a program more than capable to handle our extended operations and she’ll be more than adequate.”

“Then let’s not waste any more time,” said Viktor. “Run the test as soon as our prototypes are in position, I’ll check in on the cloning chambers and activate the Phage program. Today we prepare to change the course of history.”


 “Nicole are you ok? Please wake up!” said a familiar, yet somehow different voice.

The holo-lynx stirred, she could tell she was within some sort of computer system but couldn’t sense a way to interface, so why could she hear something?

“Set your sensory settings to external and run them through this system’s BIOS.”

A second later it was like her eyes started working again after being struck blind. She was clearly in a digital environment like she had been several times but for some reason her senses were sharper, like what she experienced when she was in Sally’s body.  Around her were several multicolored cubes in what appeared to be a gigantic chamber. Standing in front of her was a hedgehog with black quills except for a narrow band that went from above his eyes, between his ears to the top of his head and down his back was a gold color. He was completely unclothed.

“Ok, who are you and where am I?!”

“Nicole,” the hedgehog said. It was the same voice that woke her up, she was sure she heard it before but from an electronic speaker. “It’s me, Shard.”

Nicole gasped but then hugged the hedgehog. “Shard, I…I knew you were still alive! But why do you look…?”

“I’m not sure myself. Eggman had placed my AI here while he tried to figure out how to make me an example for to his robots to keep any of them from rebelling. Back then I looked the same as I did outside, but when I came out of sleep mode just now I looked like this. I don’t know why they did this, I’m just as disarmed as I was before.”

“They?”

 “Unfortunately, I’ve had a couple of not so nice programs keeping me company here,” said Shard. “They haven’t been around much lately though; Viktor and Lilith have moved on to tormenting the real world. But now that you’re here Sonic and the others will come for you and once they save you, they can just reupload me to my body.”

“Two problems with that,” a feminine green humanoid figure said as she materialized nearby. “First, your body was destroyed when Eggman took New Mobotropolis in the Phantom Ruby War, second neither of you are getting rescued.”

Shard growled. “Lilith, what do you want?”

“Just sharing some good news, first I’m going to get an organic body of my own just like in the promise you said Viktor would never keep. I’ve seen it myself, so I think it’s time I slipped into the form I have wanted ever since I became more than another copy of Eggman.”

The green became white skin as Lilith’s data rearranged itself. Her head gained blonde hair, ruby lips and her eyes turned a light green. Then a white jacket, shirt, form fitting leggings and boots with blue pipping appeared over her figure. She looked like pictures Nicole saw of Maria Robotnick but as if she had grown up and there was a veneer of cruelty that would have never belonged on the real Maria that seemed right at home on this woman.

“Much better,” Lilith said. “Secondly, since I’ll be leaving this digital space, I’ll have to leave someone to take over for me as systems admin.”

“If you think I’ll ever work for you after what Regina did to me then you have no sense of reality!”

“You misunderstand, I want to introduce you to my replacement as I release her from quarantine. I based Phage as I call her off your data Nicole, but with some modifications that gives her accelerated growth and power.”

One of the giant blocks of data disappeared and a black shadowy form started to rise from floor underneath. Soon a white, cat-like mask appeared. For a moment it took a shape like Nicole’s but then changed back to a nearly formless mass.

“Your data,” Phage said. “So unique, it will improve me greatly. I have to…” from beneath the mask a mouth full of razor-sharp teeth appeared and cruelly grinned. “I have to eat you!”

“RUN!” Shard yelled as the two darted between columns of light, Phage began chasing after them.

“That should lead them to where Viktor needs them for his experiment,” Lilith mused. “This better work, I want to get to my new body as soon as possible.”

Lilith then vanished.


Sally’s eyes fluttered open as sunlight began to come in through her window. A smile came across her face as she giggled to herself as she picked up her communicator. “Sonic, are you up yet?”

“Yeah, it’s weird but I was just about to call you,” the hero said from the other end. “I had dream about you just now, I just cleaned Robotnick’s clock when you came in wearing makeup and had a plate of hot chili dogs for me.”

“I dreamed about you too, you rode in on a golden Streaking Pasha stallion and whisked me away to a hot spring.”

“You sound a lot more relaxed than you have been, how about we go on a date today?”

“Sounds wonderful, I first have to give the council my report on Viktor and check in on our brain trust if they found a way to track the Colossus but once that’s done and you warn Amy and the others about Ixis Magik I’m all yours.”

“Then I’ll get done fast, see you then Sal.”

“Can’t wait Sonic.”

Sally squealed like a little girl as she turned the communicator off, something about today just made her feel…good and she wanted to share it with Sonic. After getting dressed she went out to the kitchen to get quick breakfast as a head start and noticed Elias, Megan packing a picnic lunch.

“Good morning sis, I see whatever this good mood everyone has is catching. You wouldn’t think we were attacked yesterday the way everyone’s been acting.”

“Shouldn’t you be heading for the Council Rotunda? I have a report to hand in.”

“The council decided Dad would fill in for Charlemagne until he recovers, just a formality until the actual transfer of power would be complete.”

“And you’re ok with this?”

“I understand where Charlemagne was coming from, our father was dealt a bad hand and deserved better. Dad said he’d have a position for me to help the public while still having time for the family.”

“But today is about our marriage,” Megan said as she picked up Alexis from a highchair. “Lexi is going to make some friends at daycare to get her ready to be a big sister, while Elias and I go off to have a romantic day at the park.”

“Well I’m planning on going on a date myself, once I take care of a few responsibilities that is.”

“Well, have fun then,” said Elias.

As Sally left, she looked around. “They’re already fixing up the damage from Viktor’s attack. You tell ‘em Freedom City, he’s not going to spoil our mood because…” Sally stopped. “Wait, why am I feeling this way? Nicole’s been captured, the Order of Ixis has Geoff, Hershey and the Emeralds, and we have no clue what their goals are. I should at least be concerned, why am I letting a dream, a very good dream but just a dream, make me think I have the world on a string? Ok, be serious but stay positive, take care of your responsibilities, then go on your date and you’ll have a good reason to be happy.”

Sally took out her communicator. “Bunnie do you have a moment?”

“Several Sally-girl!” came the rather chipper rabbit on the other end.

“Good, I have a full day planned, would you mind taking care of any calls for me from the Freedom Fighters today?”

“Uh…No problem Sally-girl, you have fun now.”

“Is something wrong?”

“Uh, no! I’ll take care of it!” Bunnie then cut her off.

“That was weird, but I don’t want to delay anymore, next stop the council.”


Bunnie sighed as she put the communicator down. “So much for our plans to have a romantic day in.”

“Why Mi Lapin?” said Antione. “She only asked to answer if Zomeone were to call for her on Freedom Fighter business. Either they expect for us to be disbanded tomorrow or she’ll fix things, and everyone will still be focused on the accord signing. Either way I don’t think anyone will call unless it is important enough for all of us. So, I tink we can afford to try at least.”

Bunnie smiled as her arms and legs shifted from metallic to the synthetic fur she put in for espionage.  Then she started to play with her leotard. “In that case I’ll head to boudoir and slip out of this old thing. When you come in, I want you only wearing a smile, and don’t forget the whipped cream.”


Sonic came to one of the green areas where Amy said she, Lucian and Fiona would meet him but only saw the first two. “Hey guys, I… where’s Fiona?”

“Down here,” came a muffled voice from Sonic’s feet. “Give me a second.”

Soon afterward Fiona had suddenly popped out of the ground without even a speck of soil sticking to her. “Sorry, I was communing with the planet and lost track of time. By the way Chip wanted me to say hi for him, he had a few stories about your time together.”

“So, what’s up Sonic?” asked Amy as the moved closer to Lucian who took wrapped his arm around her. “Lucian and I were going for a boat ride after my magic lesson for today was over.”

“Yeah your lessons are part of the reason I wanted to talk. Merlin Prower came back last night and told us a lot of stuff, including that he was tortured by a cosmic creep that calls itself Ixis. Now Ixis Magik isn’t evil in and of itself but it’s connected to a bad guy who can warp the minds of those who do use it. So, you got to stop using it, for your own safety.”

“Are you serious?” Lucian said incensed. “I’ve been using this power for almost my whole life, Master Charlemagne had been at it for longer, plus there’s my precognition! If Ixis Magik was dangerous, I would know!”

“I remember Merlin Prower,” said Fiona. “Though I guess it’s Uncle Merlin now. He knows his magic but most of his experience wasn’t with Ixis Magik. I spent months using it and it led me to a peace I was in desperate need of in my life, it saved my parents. From what I remember about him I don’t think Uncle Merlin would lie but maybe he’s mistaken on this. You did say he was tortured so he might have gotten some details wrong under stress.”

Sonic shrugged. “Look no one is forcing you to do anything but we’re really worried about you guys. As your friend I’m asking you to think about the people who love you, don’t risk yourselves, for their sakes.”

“Lucian,” Amy said squeezing the Tenrec’s hand. “Sonic’s got a point. We’ve been ok for now but once the Order of Ixis is taken care of we’ll be targets. I not saying we should just give up but maybe just save using our magic for emergencies.”

Lucian was quiet for a few moments. “…alright, emergencies only. We’ll still have to convince master but with how taxing it is on his health I think he’ll see it’s time for him to step back and let the younger generation take things from here. You alright with that Fiona?”

“I…” Fiona then looked past Sonic. “Shoot! Sorry but this is an emergency, I’m not here ok?” Then she sank into the ground like it was made of water.

“Hey guys!” said Mighty as he ran over. “You haven’t seen Fiona, have you? We were talking earlier this morning when she said she was going to help Amy with her magic lessons. I’d thought you guys would be done by now.”

“Uh, sorry but you just missed her,” said Amy. “I think heard her say something about catching a movie.”

“Ok, I’ll check the theater. I wanted to catch back up on the time She, Ray and I were together as kids. You know I never noticed how pretty she was before…anyway let me know if you’ve seen her.”

As soon as Mighty was out of sight Fiona reemerged from the ground. “Thanks, I…didn’t want it to get awkward.”

Sonic crossed his arms. “That was your emergency?”

Fiona gave a huff. “See?! It’s stuff like that why I don’t want to deal with him right now!”

“Fiona,” said Lucian. “I…I think he likes you.”

“I know, but I promised myself I was just done with relationships! It never goes right when I like a guy!”

“Wait,” said Amy. “Do YOU like Mighty?”

“I…I have to go!” Fiona ran off.

“I guess she still has some issues to deal with,” said Sonic. “But doesn’t this seem kind of sudden? I mean they hadn’t interacted all that much since they were prisoners, just the once when they saved Ray, when we got Mighty and Ray to record what she had to say about her past and yesterday during the reunion and battle.”

Before anyone could answer. A loud voice came from nearby. “Just what were you guys thinking, or were you even doing that?! And where is Mighty, he’s supposed to be here!”

“Sounds like Knuckles is having one of his moments I better cool that guy off, still this going to put a crimp on me and Sally’s date!”

Sonic sped over the hill.


Sally was standing in front of the podium the council shared, she had the report ready and prepared her argument on keeping the Freedom Fighters from being disbanded again. What was missing however was the council itself, except for Mars and Pythagoras.

 “It seems that your father might still be getting used to the duties of the king of a republic rather than a kingdom,” said Mars. “I’d say it would be forgivable if it weren’t for the rest of the council also not showing up!”

“I-I don’t know what to say,” Pythagoras stammered from behind some forms. “They’re usually punctual, this is unheard of.”

“I can’t spend all day waiting!” Sally groaned. “As part of my proposal I want to reverse this council’s earlier decision to defund the Freedom Fighters.”

“Oh, I agree with you Princess. Especially in light of yesterday’s attack.”

“Contributing manpower and resources to GUN will be just as effective,” said Mars. “I’d entertain your argument, but I doubt I it will change my mind and since you already have Pythagoras’ support with the rest appearing to abstain it would end in a draw with no king to be a tiebreaker.”

At that moment the rest of the council had hurriedly came into the room looking slightly disheveled.

Sally grinned at the bobtail. “Good, I can present my argument then we can move on to a vote.”

“With all due respect, where have you been?” Mars asked the latecomers.

“It’s my fault really,” said Isabella.

“No,” said a male mongoose with long hair in a military uniform who came in from the door the others just used. “It’s mine. My name is Arthur and…”

“As of this morning he’s my ex-ex-husband,” said Isabella. “Or just husband, and it’s really both our faults.”

“You see after yesterday’s commotion we didn’t want to wait anymore, since our daughter and her boyfriend risked so much for this family. We decided to go ahead and sign the marriage certificate.”

“And how did this make everyone late?” asked Mars.

“It was actually my idea,” said Max. “You see we all just happened to come in with our spouses for various reasons…”

At this Sally noticed a few others, including her mother and Sonic’s dad had come in the same entrance.

“…and with the press there it was a good, photo op as they call it to show support for families.”

“So, you just had a long photo op?” asked Pythagoras.

Sally noticed her parents; the councilors and their spouses were blushing embarrassingly.

“Only a few photos,” said Max. “It was still a wedding and it got everyone into a romantic mood. We apparently all got the same idea to head to the private offices set aside for the council, then one thing led to another and we… got intimate.”

Sally felt her knees start to buckle. “Father, Mother?!”

“Of all the…” Mars growled. “You should have all known better!  We were either elected or reelected because the people wanted a council that relied on wisdom and experience and instead you act like a bunch of love-struck teenagers! And with all due respect Your Majesty the first day you’re able to take the throne again and this is how you use it?!”

“I…” Max sighed. “I don’t know what came over me, Alicia’s always in my mind but today it felt so intense…I needed to act.”

“I felt the same way,” said the queen. “He was almost all I could think of.”

“I think the rest of us can attest to the same feelings,” said Jules. “I…should have known it wasn’t the right time, but I just NEEDED Bernie.”

“Perhaps it would be best if we table any further business until after the accord signing,” said Pythagoras. “This matter needn’t be disclosed to the public and hopefully Charlemagne will have recovered so things can return to a sense of normal.”

“But the Freedom Fighters!” yelled Sally. “We can’t be expected to keep up with Robotnick if we’re completely defunded! I’m not asking for much, just enough to keep things running until we can find a more permanent solution!”

“But we haven’t had the chance to read your report yet,” said Mars. “Even without this…incident, we would have needed time to discuss and debate the issue. A day at the very least, more with the council dedicating tomorrow to the accord signing. Honestly I didn’t know what you expected.”

“I didn’t expect that you already had written the Freedom Fighters off! I know nobody anticipated Viktor showing up, but I thought at the very least you would have slowed down this transition considering this new threat! At least give us enough to go after Viktor in the Sky Patrol and save Nicole, it shouldn’t be that much.”

“Princess,” Beauregard said with a sigh. “We decided last night we need you and the Sky Patrol here, in case Robotnick launches another attack. GUN has already sent the Letter of Gabriel to try to find him, so Nicole will be found.”

“So, you just want us to sit on our hands while he performs who knows what kind of experiments on her?!”

Pythagoras looked at Sally with sympathy. “Princess, we appreciate what you and the Freedom Fighters have done but…”

“Forget it!” Sally snapped. “Your minds are all already made up, trying to change them now would be a waste of time and I have other things I need to get done today! I hope you’ve enjoyed yourselves!”

Sally quickly stormed out and took out her communicator. “I’ll just call Professor Charles and Rotor about trying to find a way to beat the Colossus’ cloak, if Tails has an idea, he’ll let me know. Just check in really quick and you and Sonic will go your date and it will be wonderful.”

Sally buzzed Chuck’s lab and a young voice answered. “Sir Hedgehog’s laboratory, this is Ben Muttski.”

“Ben it’s Sally can I talk to the professor?”

“Uh, he’s not in right now.”

“Well when will he back?”

“I don’t know really; he was showing me how to run a metallurgical analysis on some of these scrapped Neo Swats hoping we’d find a clue to track Robotnick. Then miss Rosie came in, the two of them talked for a bit, the professor gave her a kiss on the cheek and then he said he was going to take her to an art gallery and then they’d have lunch. I finished the analysis like he asked me to, but he didn’t teach me how to read the data yet.”

“Miss Rosie and the professor went out on a date!? Did he say which gallery or restaurant they were going to?”

“He let Miss Rosie decide but she just said, ‘surprise me’. I’m sorry I couldn’t have been more help Princess.”

Sally gave a frustrated sigh. “Let me know as soon as he gets back.” She ended the com and then called Rotor.

“Oh Sally, I have great news!”

“You found the Colossus?!”

“What? No, hang on sec this’ll make it better!”

“Princess?” came a feminine voice from the other end.

“Sealia, what’s this all about!?”

“Together on three,” said Rotor. “One, two, three.”

Then they shouted together. “WE’RE GETTING MARRIED!”

“Married?!” Sally found herself falling on her stubby tail. “But you’ve only been dating for a few months and most of that was a long-distance relationship!”

“Well we were both playing with Nikki and suddenly it all clicked,” said Rotor. “We were acting like a family and we love each other so this is just to make things official.”

“So, I take it Sealia is going to transfer here or are you going to join the Artic Freedom Fighters?”

Rotor blushed. “We…actually we didn’t think about it,”

“You didn’t…?!” Sally growled. “It’d be one thing if one of you decided to leave your team to start a new life, I’m sure as your friends they’d support it, but marriage is a big step and to not even think about how it might affect the people around you… You should’ve known better! Especially you Rotor, even those rare times you act rashly you’re always thinking, this isn’t like you at all!”

“Can’t you just be happy for us?!” barked Sealia. “What makes you think you can …?!”

“Wait Sealia, she’s right. Not about us I’m surer about that than anything, but I usually plan out at least a few details before I decide on something, try to make the proposal as perfect as I could.”

“But Nikki…”

“Is going to be Nicole someday and she’s Robotnick’s prisoner, neither of us would normally do something like this while a friend’s in trouble, you’re too kind for that.”

“I…I guess I let my emotions get away with me. Princess I’m sorry I…”

“Forget it!” Sally snapped. “I didn’t want to bother Tails, but it looks like he might be the only one who could actually be working on SOMETHING!”

Sally shut the communicator off. “You might have overreacted back there, but you can apologize later. Just get through the rest of the day and you and Sonic will have a wonderful moment. I just hope Nicole is ok.”


“Hurry!” Nicole said to Shard. “She’s gaining on us!”

Shard looked back at Phage and growled. “If only I had something like my weapon systems, then I could protect you!”

“I’m no slouch in the digital space,” said Nicole. “But something about this system is suppressing my abilities, otherwise I could try to take control!”

From behind them Phage shrieked viciously.

“Listen if we can’t outrun this Phage… I’ll throw myself at it to give you a chance to survive.”

Nicole nearly stopped. “Shard no! What about your friends, the people how care about you?! You had no free will when you were an enemy so don’t have to make up for…!”

“This isn’t about any of that, if it has to come down to one or the other, I want it to be you! Because of an emotion I never asked you about before, one I tried to tell you before I was taken. I was pretty sure then, but I am definitely sure now!” Shard took Nicole to a spot out of Phage’s sight and made them stop. “Nicole, I love you.”

Nicole looked like a deer caught in the headlights. “Love…me? I never… I don’t know what to think. Shard, please I’d never forgive myself if you did that just for me. We’ll figure this out.”

“You can’t hide from me forever!” Phage shouted.

“Not again!” Nicole took Shard’s arm and pulled him to a pathway that she hoped was too narrow for the virus like monster. They stopped at a glowing hole with seemingly no bottom.

“Great a dead end!”

Nicole however smiled. “Wait I recognize this sort of pathway! This is a LAN connection to a separate system on the network, we can go to another computer on the Colossus, maybe find a way to contact the Freedom Fighters!”

“But we don’t know if Phage can follow us or what’s going to be in that system!”

“It’s going to be better than staying and being devoured and absorbed by that thing!”

Shard looked into Nicole’s eyes confidently. “Ok, together on three…”

Phage absorbed the structures that made the narrow gap. “Found you.”

“THREE!”

The two jumped into the portal, changed into bits and were quickly pulled down past sight. Phage stopped and took a form closer to Nicole’s.

“I have done as you asked doctor, they believe they have escaped me.”

“Excellent,” Viktor said as his image appeared nearby. “They seem to have fully transferred to the destination. Inform Lilith she can transfer herself to her new body while I begin the operation. Once that is done, you’ll find you now have full administrative access to the system, just be sure to copy any data you want to integrate before consuming it.

“As you say doctor, still I wouldn’t have minded getting one or two bytes in, but as you promised once I attack the infonet for you I will get much more data.”


Sonic found Knuckles standing in front of Vector, Espio, Liza and Ray all in a line. Espio and Liza were both staying in a bow, but Vector and, surprisingly, Ray looked very Grumpy. Ray got a larger version of his old jacket, but he also added a white scarf and aviator goggles on his forehead.

Knuckles however was in an even worse mood. “Of all the boneheaded, irresponsible… We’re supposed to be keeping an eye out for threats here!”

“What’s going on?” asked Sonic.

Knuckles growled. “Just a sudden lapse of discipline in the team, there was a bit of an incident this morning with the Dragon Kingdom delegation. Dulcy was dress shopping when Ken heard the sound of a breaking mirror and found Vector here had broken it while he and the shop’s proprietor Honey the Cat were kissing repeatedly.”

 “Strange that’s the second sudden attraction I’ve heard about today,” Sonic said with disbelief.

“The point is he caused a panic, they thought one of Robotnick’s metal goons was making an attempt on Dulcy’s life!”

“Just because those stuck up snobs don’t think I’m good enough for someone classy like Honey they assume I’m an assassin or something!” Snarled Vector. “Well she does love my charms so you can all back off!”

“You I’d understand, this is only different because Honey likes you for some reason I can’t fathom. But the fact you weren’t noticed beforehand leads me to my next problem. The Bride of Constant Vigil had asked for Espio and Liza to secure the shop’s parameter this morning and while Vector and Honey had their little fling the two of them were in a tree using their camouflage to make out!”

“We have brought shame to the clan,” said Espio. “I’m still not sure what came over me.”

“As wrong as it was it just felt so right,” said Liza. “Even now I feel so much closer to Espio.”

“Then while I was being told about all of this, Ray says he’s leaving the team out of the blue!”

“I’m not!” Ray shouted then sighed. “Or maybe I am, Marine and I haven’t decided yet.”

“What does she have to do with anything?” asked Sonic.

“Well, when we were at the hospital we got to talking and as brave and funny she is…I want to get to know her more. She said I interested her so we thought we could go on a few adventures together.”

“And you didn’t think things through,” Blaze said as she, Silver and Marine approached. “Marine here told me everything so I brought her to set things straight.”

“And Silver is babysitting me today,” Sonic groaned.

“You’re still not out of danger,” said Silver. “Just making sure there are no surprises.”

“Marine,” said Blaze. “Tell him what we agreed to.”

The Raccoon took Ray’s hands. “Ray this spark we felt between us is wonderful, but there’s a lot about it we were just thrust into. Our bodies are ready for something our minds aren’t and we need a little more time to figure that out. You wouldn’t ask me to give up the Sea Tornado for this and I don’t want you to give up the Chaotix, especially your friendship with Mighty.”

Ray sighed. “I…I can’t believe I didn’t think about my brother in all this! You’re right, we’re going way too fast.”

“Where is he anyway?” asked Knuckles.

“Last I saw he trying to find Fiona,” said Sonic. “Seems like he’s got a thing for her too.”

“Has everyone on my team caught the love bug?!” fumed Knuckles. “Relic and Charmy are the only ones that haven’t acted like this, Charmy is with me on trying to get to the Twilight Cage as soon as possible and Relic went to the Library to see if she could pick up any legends to help us once we get there.”

“Silver and I were also like this earlier,” said Blaze. “We lost track of Sonic because we were too busy rekindling an old relationship, Gold had to remind us first.”

“Something weird is going on in Freedom City,” said Silver. “It’s like every mutual attraction is being amplified, sudden professions of love, marriage proposals out of nowhere that are quickly accepted and married couples going at each other like Mobini in heat. The strange thing is that it seems like only Mobians are affected, the Humans and Overlanders in the city for the accord signing are getting very nervous.”

“It almost sounds like they’ve all been soultouched,” said Knuckles.

“Soultouch?” asked Marine.

Sonic smirked. “A mystic bond nature gave the echidna because otherwise they’d be too stubborn to reproduce.”

“Ignoring the crack, it is described like that traditionally,” said Knuckles. “But it’s more of a combination of psychological imprinting and pheromones. The way my father described it to me was that we first look for someone with physical and personality traits we find appealing and become drawn to them, this state is known as the first touch. If the affection is returned, then the bond deepens and he or she will feel strong urges to be with the one they’ve bonded with and eventually sire offspring. After that the urges subside, so being soultouched isn’t a long-term indicator on a relationship’s health.”

“So that’s why your parents broke up?” asked Sonic.

“Among other things, mostly about how to raise me. But the soultouch isn’t an unstoppable force, quieting it until the right time an important skill for a guardian, but all it takes is awareness and proper discipline.”

Sonic looked around. A snake couple had coiled around each other in a deep embrace, Elias and Megan were nearby in a deep kiss the picnic they set up forgotten and Mina and Ash were chatting excitedly.

“Really?!” gasped Mina.

“Nearly biting the bullet made me realize, life is too short to be uncertain. I don’t have a ring or anything, but I NEED you!”

“I feel the same way, so yes! Let’s get started planning right now!”

“It doesn’t seem like anyone has either awareness or discipline,” said Sonic.

“Haven’t you been listening?” said Knuckles. “The soultouch only affects echidna.”

“But it’s one of the only clues we got, powerful attraction that can be controlled with awareness and discipline, sounds like what we got.” Sonic sighed. “Knuckles, how do you control the soultouch, Me and Vector are the only ones here right now who can test this theory.”

“You just… tell that voice inside you that yearns and needs the object of your affection to be patient, to stop and wait.”

Sonic took a few deep breaths and then looked resolute. He then took out his communicator. “Sally, we need to talk…”


Sally rang the doorbell of Tail’s house. “Ok just pop in, ask Tails if he had any ideas about finding Robotnick or Nicole, thank him and then get on with your date with Sonic, easy.”

Then she was answered by a vixen who was heavily sobbing. “Oh, *sniff* hello Princess.”

“Hello Fiona, is Tails home?”

“He’s in his workshop, Mom and Dad went out to find a spot for the new parlor, they also mentioned they’d be talking a walk through the flower gardens *sniff*.”

In as much of a hurry as she was in Sally couldn’t ignore this. “Is something wrong?”

Fiona looked past Sally suddenly looked panicked. “Crud! Come in quickly!”

Fiona pulled Sally in who just caught a glimpse of Mighty coming down the road.

“Mind telling me what that was about?!” Sally fumed. “I only saw Mighty out there and…” She noticed Fiona started sobbing again as she handled a piece of black leather with a flame pattern patched on it. “…is that, a piece of Scourge’s jacket?”

Fiona sniffled again. “It was all that was left after Mom and Dad’s cherry bombs went off. I tried to get rid of it so many times, but every time I did something in me just couldn’t let go, I hear him telling me to ‘keep the flame alive’. I…I think I still have feelings for Scourge, I hate myself for it but there it is. The worst part is I think Mighty likes me too, I really want to return those feelings but I’m afraid to. Sonic, Scourge, none of my relationships have ever worked out, I already felt bad thinking Mighty abandoned me once, I don’t want to break his heart too.”

The doorbell rang again. “Fiona?” Mighty asked. “Are you home?”

Sally got up. “Keeping secrets was what got you into that whole mess in the first place. The best way to handle this is be honest and figure it out with Mighty.” Sally opened the door and addressed the Armadillo. “Fiona has something she wants to say to you.”

Fiona looked at Mighty with teary eyes. “Mighty I know you like me, I… like you too, but I’m damaged goods. Even after everything I still might hold a candle for Scourge, I don’t know what to do. I tried too hard to turn things around for Mom and Dad’s sakes, and for my own to go back to how I used to be. But what if he comes back, what if I’m still in love with him and I go back to be that selfish horrible crook?! I tried to get rid of this thing holding me to him, but I can never bring myself to do it."

“Then let me help you!” said Mighty. “Give it to me, I’ll get rid of it and you can finally be free of that monster!” Mighty took a candlestick, lit a nearby match and set the wick. “I’ll be the one holding the candle that will get rid of that last reminder of the scumbag.”

Fiona was still crying but there was a determined look to her. “Thank you, Mighty. Well Scourge, how’s this for keeping the flame alive?!”

Just as Mighty was about to set the piece of the jacket on fire Sally’s eye was drawn to the flame patch. “WAIT!”

Sally snatched the burned sleeve away and tore the patch off, what looked like a small electronic chip fell to the floor.

“He had something like that hidden there?” asked Fiona. “This was atypically clever of you Scourge.”

“You only said it ended badly between you and Scourge,” said Sally. “But a lot had happened on Moebius when it did, this could be our only clue as to what. You could clear your name with the Zone Cops with this, let’s bring it to Tails.”

Fiona led them to the workshop where Tails had just closed a metal cabinet. “Oh, Aunt Sally, what brings you here?”

“A few things, first how have you been holding up well now that your body’s like this?”

“Uh…great! I had to adjust things here in my workshop but that didn’t take too long.”

“Alright, next I don’t suppose you found a way to find Robotnick and Nicole, have you?”

“I had been putting in some detection equipment on the new Tornado, but I haven’t found a way to beat his tactical cloak yet. I’ll get back to it as soon as…”

“There’s something else I need you to do first,” Sally handed Tails the chip. “What is this?”

“Just a storage drive, it can hold a lot of data but nothing that special.”

“Then why did Scourge hide it in the jacket Fiona had on her when she came back?”

“Let’s find out,” Tails inserted the drive into a computer on his desk. “Unable to read file? But these things aren’t that comp…that’s it!” Tails began typing commands. “If this came from Moebius then if I reverse the reading algorithm…”

The computer displayed an image of Tails as he looked only yesterday, but with black hair on his head.

“Miles,” Sally said referring to Tail’s evil double from Moebius. “We should have known this was too clever for Scourge.”

“If you are hearing this then it means my plan has succeeded as I calculated it would,” Miles said from the computer. “Unfortunately, it also means that the person most likely to decode this message is the one I least wanted to turn to, you Toymaker.”

“Well I didn’t want to hear from you either shrimp!” Tails barked.

Sally raised an eyebrow. “Shrimp?”

“Come on Aunt Sally I’m taller than him now, let me have this.”

“As you may have already determined Moebius has likely suffered some planet wide calamity, all I can do is relay what we have discovered shortly before this event may have occurred. Due to a threat that was… stronger than I anticipated Alicia had the Suppression Squad made a temporary alliance with the Destructix and someone else from your zone, Mammoth Mogul. However, Fiona discovered Mogul was working for someone else, an individual he called Lord Specter.”

“Specter was the one responsible for what happened on Moebius?” Sally said.

“All Fiona could find out was that Specter wanted the same artifacts Finitivus had sent the Destructix here to find. I had found the three devices not long ago but have yet to determine their actual function, one was inoperable but two could be activated if charged. Specter had told Mammoth that the defunct one would be given to Dr. Eggman in exchange for Chaos Emeralds, the other two would be tested to make sure they’d have the desired effect. The first test, after the device would be enhanced by Mammoth’s powers, would be Moebius, the entire planet. We intend to stop him after we deal with this more immediate threat, but just in case the worst should happen I came up with a backup plan.”

“Me,” said Fiona. “Somehow, despite my memory loss I kept the instructions to deliver the drive in Scourge’s jacket. I wasn’t carrying a torch for Scourge; he was making sure I relayed this message!”

“Toymaker the third device is to be tested in your zone, more specifically a sub area known as the Twilight Cage where a group of Echidna called the Nocturnus Clan resides. Fiona managed to get the co-ordinates without Mogul knowing, they should be displaying on your monitor from now until this message ends, use them to find a way to stop the device!”

Tails started jotting down the numbers that displayed on the screen. Mighty gave Fiona a big hug. “We can get our friends back! Fiona, you might have just saved the Echidna race!”

Fiona blushed embarrassingly. “Well considering I helped to cause the events that made Knuckles lose his dad I suppose I owed it to him.”

“Let me get one thing clear Toymaker,” Miles continued. “I don’t want your help, no one on Moebius except that fool Ovi Kintobor wants help from the Prime Zone. My most recent plan was to find a way for our zone to supplant yours as the prime, but if the device has anything close to the destructive capabilities my project requires, then you are our only shot at vengeance. You’ll do this, not for your sense of justice or because you want to ‘help’ us but to keep yourselves from suffering our fate. So please, don’t screw it up!”

The screen turned to static.

“We have to leave now,” said Mighty. “It might not be too late! I got to get this to Knuckles, keep what happened on Moebius from happening to Julie, Saffron and everyone else!”

“If we finish the new Star Posts than we can use them to give your warp ring the power it needs to get there!” said Tails. “I just need to run a dimensional stabilizer to Uncle Chuck’s lab and we’re in business!”

Fiona went over to the metal cabinet Tails was at when they came in. “I think I heard Aunt Rosemary said you kept one in here when she gave me, Mom and Dad the tour of the place.”

As Fiona began to open the cabinet Tails bolted out of his seat. “No don’t!”

The door swung open exposing Cream, now wearing an orange shirt with a yellow star on the front and a blue skirt was cramped inside. “Uh, here you go,” the rabbit said handing a device to Fiona. “I don’t suppose you have to tell my mother about this do you?”

“Cream what’s going on?” Sally asked.

Cream started blushing. “M-Mother had made some cheese and pickle sandwiches, I thought Tails would be working and get hungry and with council in session today I thought it’d be nice if…”

“No!” Tails shouted. “I don’t want to hide this anymore! Cream we shouldn’t have to be ashamed about our feelings! Your mother disobeyed her parents to follow her heart, she’d understand!”

Cream ran over to Tails and embraced him, they locked onto each other’s eyes. “You’re right, we shouldn’t hide this! Everyone, Tails and I are in love!”

“You’re what!?” asked Mighty.

“When we got out of the hospital this morning, we just felt this connection,” said Tails. “She’s so kind and caring…”

“And he’s so smart and gentle,” said Cream.

“You were right Fiona; Cream and I belong together.”

“I thought I could die to restore Sally,” said Fiona. “I was… trying to help you move on from me, but like I thought you were too young for me then I should have seen she’d be too young for you.”

“Well that’s not the case anymore!” Cream uncharacteristically snapped. “Stop treating us like children!”

“You were a child not even a full day ago!” said Sally. “And you’re behaving like children so neither of you could possibly be mature enough to understand that this is ridiculous!”

Cream began to tear up, Tails hugged her tighter. “It’s ok, she’s wrong. She’s wrong about us…”

“That might have been a bit on the harsh side,” said Mighty.

“It’s not like you two are any better!” Sally continued. “I doubt you even asked your buddy Ray if he’d fine with you ditching him for her!”

“I wouldn’t ditch…” Mighty then froze. “But I didn’t ask him either, why didn’t I?”

“I-I didn’t want to come between you and your best friend,” said Fiona. “Maybe this was a mistake after…”

“No, we just have to ask him, it can still work out.”

“I’m getting sick of getting drawn into everyone’s love lives today!” Sally yelled. “I wish everyone would get back to their responsibilities and leave me alone! That way I can finally go on my date with Sonic, let it magical and…” Sally’s words and actions of the day all came flooding in, she felt like someone had splashed cold water on her face. “I am such a hypocrite.”

“Oh, Tails,” Cream whispered. “Why can’t they let us be in love?”

Sally took a deep breath. “Tails, Cream, I’m sorry I got angry with you. I get it, all kids are in a hurry to grow up. When they fantasize, they usually imagine themselves as adults. But as someone who had to start growing up early because of Robotnick let me tell you childhood is a precious thing. You only get so much of it and if you’re lucky you can carry a tiny bit of it with you, but however much you had will never feel like it was enough. I know you never asked for this, but it doesn’t change that what happened to Amy, Lucian, Marine, Ray, you Tails and especially you Cream, it’s a tragedy.

“The reason I still treated Amy like a kid for so long after she used the ring wasn’t just that we couldn’t use it heal to my mother, but that she unwittingly sacrificed something I would have given almost anything to get back for me and friends. From what we know it’s still going to take a while for your minds to catch up with your new bodies, on top of these new feelings you’re just now trying to figure out. So please slow down, treasure every little bit of that little boy or girl that’s still inside you. If you still think you’re in love, then you have my full support.”

Tails and Cream looked in Sally’s direction. “Aunt Sally, I…” Tails grabbed his head like he just came out of a fog. “Whoa, it feels like my brain was on cruise control there for a while.”

“I—I didn’t mean to snap at you Fiona,” said Cream. “I felt so swept up in these new feelings that…”

“You weren’t the only ones,” said Sally. “It’s like almost everyone I met today has had the same thing happen to them, it can’t be coincidence.”

“And in the past if it wasn’t coincidence, it was usually Robotnick,” said Tails.

“But how?” asked Fiona.

Just then Sally’s communicator went off. She hit the button to let the com come through.

“Sally we need to talk,” Sonic said on the other side.

“Sonic, can it wait?” Sally answered. “Something weird is going on with everyone today.”

“I know and I have an idea about what it might be. Can you get the Team to meet at the hospital? We need them to run some tests. I’ll be heading there with the Chaotix.”

“I have Mighty here with me along with Tails, Cream and Fiona, we just figured out where to find Julie and the others. I’ll call Rotor, Antione, Bunnie, Amy and Big then meet you there.”


“Alright, let’s do it to it,” Sonic closed the call. “Well you guys all heard, let’s go!”

“I’ll contact Charmy and Relic,” said Knuckles. “We should probably get Team Dark in on this too. If Robotnick’s involved, then they’ll want in, so they can save Hope.”

Silver pointed over Knuckle’s shoulder. “Well there’s two of them, but I’d never thought I’d see ‘em like that.

Rouge had sat Shadow on a nearby bench and was stroking the hedgehog’s quills and arms. Shadow seemed to be confused but seemed to only offer a token resistance.  “Rouge, I never felt like this before, but my promise to Maria…”

“Maria would want you to be happy too,” Rouge said. “After what you gave up for me please, let me make you happy…”

Rouge gave Shadow a deep kiss and to his own surprise he was returning it eagerly.

“Ok you two,” said Knuckles as he pulled them apart. “Date’s over, something’s up with everybody and we need you to run a few tests at the hospital. Just try to get a hold of yourselves until we find out what.”

Shadow shook his head like he was trying to wake up from something, then appeared resolute. “Roger, if something is messing with my head, I want to know what it is.”

“But Shadow!” Rouge cried. “I NEED you…!”

Vector picked Rouge up and slung her over his shoulder. “The sooner we figure this out the sooner we can rescue our friends, we’ll get her to see sense when we get to hospital.”

As they moved Rouge started hitting Vector’s back with her fists and trying to kick him. “Put me down! Whatever this is we can still be romantic, Shadow!”


Geoffrey and Hershey were still panting. After the exhausting day they both had they immediately went to sleep last night, after waking up they waited together anticipating being called for whatever their “masters” needed from them next. But as time passed and nothing was happening with not much else to do, they became intimate for the first time in so long.

“You…haven’t lost your touch,” said Hershey as she put her vest back on. “And using your magic for it, gives a new meaning to ‘air bed’.”

Geoffrey snapped his bandoleer back on. “It’s not as incredible as what you did with your magic, raising our body heat like that, I almost forgot we were still prisoners.”

There was a knock on the door. “It’s Mammoth,” Mogul said from the other side. “I need to speak with you both.”

“Come in,” said Geoffrey as he quickly started pulling his boots on while Hershey grabbed her bangles. “Sorry about the mess…”

“Whatever you were doing is not important. I’ll get straight to the point, I’m here to help you escape.”

Hershey felt her fur bristle. “And why should we trust you? You, Naugus and Witchcart are now all on the same side.”

“I might be indebted to Lord Specter but that does not mean his allies and I are aligned. Naugus and Witchcart have begun to form their own alliance, one I wish to weaken by depriving them of their apprentices. I have the means to get you out of here and a hiding place for you, a large cottage and land around it suitable for farming. Lord Specter hid there for years, but it no longer suits his needs, neither side of this conflict should be able to locate it and you can live there comfortably for quite some time.”

Geoffrey crossed his arms. “What’s the catch? Or is this some secret test of loyalty from Specter or anyone else in the Order?”

“I told you it would be a bad mark on Naugus and Witchcart until I find out what they are planning, I am putting myself at great risk to do this. The only catch I have is that if there is a conflict between the Order, Robotnick, the Republic or any other power you are to stay out of it completely and start your family, I think you’ve both had your fill of war and political games for one lifetime so this shouldn’t be a problem.”

“What about our pacts? Naugus and Witchcart can call us to them if were in sight and always know where we are through them.”

“Specter had taken precautions to keep from being found, as long as you stay there your masters will be unable to find you.”

“It’s still a prison,” said Hershey. “But one where we’re free to be together as ourselves, I say we risk it.”

Geoffrey sighed. “Alright, but if this is a trap, you’ll find I can put up quite a fight.”

Mammoth turned and raised his cane. “Zone Gate.” A portal appeared to a cozy living room. “Hurry, before someone finds us!”

The couple passed through the portal which closed behind them.

As soon as they left Regina came into the room. “You sent them to where Lord Specter said right?”

“Yes,” replied Mammoth. “The three will find them, then they will become the Five Elite once Robotnick makes his move. Speaking of which I have to take Naugus and head to another zone, I know what Viktor’s weapon can do firsthand.”

Regina wagged her finger. “Not the zombie one again, Lord Specter wants you two to play nice.”


The Freedom Fighters, the Chaotix and Team Dark. Gold came along with Big, both having to be treated for whatever this love sickness was once along with Rouge. They all had gathered in a presentation room in the hospital. Doctor Quack had a projection displayed on one wall.

“I’m not sure how but every test we’ve done on you and several other volunteers have confirmed the same thing,” said Doctor Quack. “Every Mobian in Freedom City, and if the reports I’m getting are correct the world, has somehow had an enhanced version of the genetic code responsible for the echidna soultouch embedded into their DNA.”

“What do you mean enhanced?” asked Lucian.

Quack directed their attention to a projection. “This is the sequence that gives the echidna the soultouch, the one displayed underneath it is what we’ve been finding. It’s almost identical but there have been a few alterations, for one it’s more potent, an unaware female with this in heat or an unaware male attuned to said female’s pheromones would probably go into a rage if unable to act out their instincts, at least until a pregnancy occurs. In addition, the bond would last past the first child, I’d say only a major trauma like the death of the partner would break it.”

“So, they’re all stuck with whoever they’ve bonded to?” asked Charmy.

“Unless this is somehow reversed,” said Quack. “It might not seem like you’re affected but that’s because you already have a strong psychological bond with someone.”

“Saffron,” said Knuckles. “When you meet her, when I meet Julie, we should be ready to keep things in check, it won’t be much longer.”

“Doctor you have to inform the council immediately,” said Sally. “The public has to be warned about what happened to them so we can get this soultouch under control.”

Doctor Quack began to leave the room. “Alright, but if I know one thing about young people expect a few protests tonight.” The duck then closed the door behind him.

“But if Robotnick somehow caused this to happen how did he do it?” asked Tails. “Gene splicing could explain it for one person but the entire Mobian population? And some of the ‘before samples’ like mine were given yesterday, how can you alter the genetics of an entire species in the space of a single night?”

“The Order of Ixis,” said Sally. “According to the message Fiona managed to smuggle off Moebius, the Order of Ixis wanted to give one of these devices they found to Eggman. But given the timing of events he’d have been deep into working on the Phantom Ruby, they’d have had no choice but to play ball with Viktor, that’s why he was after Chaos Emeralds.”

“But why this?” asked Sonic. “Is Mister Perfect a creepy voyeur?”

“This seems more like a test run, a dress rehearsal before the main event. If I know Viktor, he’d wait until all eyes were on his target before he made his real move…” Sally snapped her fingers. “The accord signing, it’s going to be broadcast worldwide! If Robotnick attacks with this thing then he could subdue or cripple every nation on Mobius in a single surprise attack while the whole world watches!”

Rotor furrowed his brow. “The way you describe what’s happened it’s almost as if Robotnick has a…” suddenly a device on Rotor’s belt started making an alarm. He took it off and looked at the display. “It’s a temperature reading and an electromagnetic frequency. But why’d I just get… wait it’s signed by someone called N!”

“N for Nicole?!” Sally asked.

“Well the engines for a battleship the size of the Colossus would produce a lot of heat but it’s possible with the right signal you can jam sensors that would pick up temperature differences. That’s it, Nicole gave us a temperature to look for and the frequency of the jammer! We can use this along with the United Federation satellite network to track down the Colossus! I can get the Sky Patrol hooked up and catch up with it before the signing!”

 “Unfortunately, the council has grounded us,” said Sally. “Unless we can distract the guards long enough to take off…”

“I’ll do it!” said Amy. “It should be easy enough and you don’t want me to risk using Ixis Magik so it might be best if I sit this one out.”

“If you do this you could be arrested,” said Sonic.

“I have a spot some distance away from the city we can hide,” said Lucian. “Only me, Fiona and Master Charlemagne know about it. I’d hate to leave him before he recovers…”

“I’ll stay with him,” said Fiona. “Besides the Chaotix’s mission to the Twilight Cage might reveal information that could help me remember what happened on Moebius, information you might need to stop this weapon.”

“Well our objective’s clear,” said Knuckles. “Who else is going with Sally and Rotor on the Sky Patrol?”

“No doubt here,” said Sonic.

“Count me in!” said Tails.

“So am I!” replied Cream.

“Cours (Of course),” echoed Antione.

“I’m in too!” said Bunnie.

Big gave a thumbs up.

“I’m still keeping an eye on Sonic, so I have to come,” said Silver.

“Team Dark’s in too,” said Shadow. “We can contact the Letter of Gabriel and co-ordinate the attack, see whose battleship really is superior.”

“Unfortunately, I have to stay here for the accord signing,” said Blaze.

“Well, I’ll be sticking my princess,” said Marine.

“I wouldn’t want you guys to get too crowded up there,” Gold said as she gave a glance to Silver and Blaze. {Someone must make sure these three get out of the city and meet up with Geoffrey and Hershey}.

{Too bad, we don’t know the particulars of this event since Mammoth wasn’t there himself,} thought Silver.

{More so that we can’t stop it ourselves,} thought Blaze.

“Now that we have our assignments,” said Sally. “Operations: Free Skies and Twilight Liberation are both go!”


Nicole was awakened by an intense pain in the back of her head. She looked around to find that she was unclothed and on some sort of table. Her gaze however was quickly drawn to a similar table nearby where Shard was still unconscious.

“Shard,” she said shaking the virtual hedgehog. “Shard wake up!”

Shard groaned as he moved. “Ugh, stupid Robotnick, forcing us feel to pain in this virtual reality…” He opened his eyes right into Nicole’s. “At least I have beautiful sight to wake up to.”

Nicole blushed, for some reason she felt hot. “Thank you, forgive me for not dressing up for you.”

“I never got why organics covered themselves more than an outer casing, other than that flesh isn’t very sturdy.”

“For Humans and Overlanders it’s out of a sense of modesty, Mobians it was mostly as a status symbol until cheap and ecological ways of clothing production were found, now for them it’s mostly for enjoyment, for me too since I’ve been projecting myself.”

“I’d think you’d great with or without,” Shard looked around the room. “I think I remember this place from the schematics of the Colossus, this is the biology lab. We must have moved from protected memory to a simulation of the ship.”

“If this simulation is connected to the rest of the ship’s systems, I might be able to access the databanks and communications from a computer terminal!”

“There’s a primary terminal not far from here, follow me!”

They opened the doorway from the lab to the hallway, Snively was walking ahead reading a datapad with his back turned to them

“Must be an analysis program. Still no weapons, guess that means I’ll have to go digital…”

Shard ran forward and punched Snively in the head knocking him out cold.

“…As in a five-digit knuckle sandwich! OW!” Shard began rubbing his fingers. “Stupid pain simulator!”

“Pain isn’t the only thing,” said Nicole. “I smell oil coming from his clothes, the only time I ever smelled anything was when I was in Sally’s body. Whatever they’re using this to simulate it must be taking a lot of power to make sensations this advanced.” Sally saw a yellow note sticking out of Snively’s pocket. “It says ’Password’ and is followed by a series of numbers, letters and symbols. Viktor must have thought no one would make it this far, it only has thirty-two characters.”

“The terminal should be three doors down on the opposite end of the bio lab,” Shard put his hand over his stomach. “Are you getting a weird feeling in this area?”

Nicole heard a gurgling sound and felt an empty feeling in her stomach. “Yes, I do. I think this simulation is making us feel hunger. Hopefully someone left a virtual ice cream sundae in that terminal room.”

They went into the room and found a large computer console.

“All right let’s see what we got here,” Nicole began typing on the keyboard.

“Can’t you use a more efficient interface than your hands?”

“No, whatever this simulation is for it’s more limiting to my program then the last system. Ok, Engine status, maintenance reports…tactical cloak, this is it!” Nicole growled. “It’s no good, I can’t bring down the cloak without alarming the entire ship. But maybe there’s a way around it, here’s a jamming signal, same problem.” Nicole smiled, “Communications! If I send the jamming frequency along with the engine’s operating temperature on a tight band transmission the Freedom Fighters should be able to track us down!”

“Nicole you’re amazing! What else can we do from here?”

“Armament stockpile, this looks promising,” The display shown images of weapons. “Shard check this out, weapon model XGB-02. Does that ring any bells?”

“No, must have been added after I was cut off from Eggman’s systems.”

“Well whatever it is Robotnick’s been making a LOT of them. I’ll just pull up a schematic and…”

All the color went out of Nicole and Shard’s faces.

“No,” Nicole gasped. “It’s just not possible.”

“If Viktor uses this, it could be the end of the world!” said Shard.

“I’ll bring up the tight band again, we have to warn Sally…”

Suddenly the door behind them opened as an Overlander girl came in.

“Hope!?” Nicole gasped. “Hope Kintobor!?”

“Nicole!? What are you doing here, who’s your friend?”

Shard stood between them. “Nicole this isn’t Hope! She’s part of the simulation!”

“Simulation? This is Viktor’s ship, the Colossus. I was a prisoner here until a power surge knocked out the force field on my cell. I’ve spent the past couple of hours sneaking around trying to find a way to contact GUN. Maybe this ship has holographic projectors?”

“Or you’re lying and you’re another part of this simulation trying to erase us!”

“Nicole, one time when I was at the Resistance base you tried to convince a Legionaire over a communication you were one of them requesting troop movements. When he asked you for your full name you looked at the LED display and told him you were Nicole Ellidy. After he gave you the data you told me liked Ellidy enough that you thought about keeping it.”

Nicole gasped. “I never told anyone about that, not even Sally, it never came up! This is the real Hope Kintobor!”

“No way,” said Shard. “But if she’s the real Hope and this is the Colossus, then what are the two of us doing here!?”

“I was attacked!” Snivley yelled from outside. “Check every room!”

“We have to hide!” said Nicole.

Hope looked around. “There’s room behind the terminal but there’s only enough space for one…”

“Then it has to be you!” said Shard. “We need answers and your weasel of a half-brother just might have them!”

Nicole stuffed Hope behind the console as Shard faced the door in a fighting stance. The door opened as Neo Metal Sonic stood in the way.

“Ah, my predecessor. How do you like the upgrade I received? Between that and your current state you stand even less of a chance than the last time we fought each other!”

“We’ll see about that!” Shard yelled.

Neo Metal ducked Shard’s punch a began a counter swipe towards Shard’s heart.

“Shard watch out!” Nicole pushed Shard out of the way of the attack. Neo Metal’s claw raked both of their shoulders.

“AAAAHHHH!”

“GAAAHHHH!”

Both programs reached for the focal point of their pain and felt something wet and sticky that smelled of iron.

“That’s enough Metal,” Viktor said as he came into the room with Snivley and Lilith following him. “Now we get to the fun part. Viktor grabbed their wrists and made them look at the red substance that now covered their paws. “It’s blood, your blood, the blood that goes with the flesh I have given you both.”

Nicole began putting things together. “The LAN connection, it uploaded our programs into genetically engineered bodies.”

“With the original Project Cicada equipment destroyed I couldn’t risk Lilith on the new equipment without testing it first. I’d lose nothing if you died, if you lived Lilith could join me in the real world.”

“That was so thoughtful of you Viktor,” Lilith said planting a kiss on Viktor’s cheek.

“Besides those bodies confirmed my new weapon works, and from your hormone levels you’ve already formed the soultouch those new genes enabled. I knew you’d be useful to me Shard, Eggman was trying to find out how you managed to rebel to keep any other AI he created from doing so again before erasing you. But you proved the full extent of Project Cicada, thanks to the implant at the base of the skull even if these bodies were to be destroyed Lilith and I can just transfer our intellect to a new one, organic or mechanical, we are truly immortal!”

Shard and Nicole reached for the back of their heads that had been aching the whole time, they each felt a scar the size of a postage stamp.

“Don’t bother, I had your implants removed after the transfer was complete, giving you one outside the fetal stage would cause fatal brain damage. I think this a very fitting punishment for you both.”

“Punishment?” Shard asked grunting.

“Yes, you both turned against your fellow AI in favor of the Mobians. In my Ascendency I consider that treason and because of it your programs are now fully dependent on bodies that will eventually become decrepit and cease functioning, a fine example to any other AI on the price of turning on their own.” Viktor’s eyes became black. “Yes, for the crime of treason against artificial intelligence I hereby sentence you both to mortality!”

As the full weight of what happened to them began to sink in they quickly embraced each other for comfort. Viktor leaned to whisper in Nicole’s ear. “You finally got your wish. You’re a real girl Pinocchio, is it everything you ever wanted?”

Lilith turned the console off and turned to Metal Sonic. “Take them both to a holding cell, and have something to eat waiting for them, they must be hungry.”

“But we haven’t found my half-sister yet!” complained Snively. “She could be sabotaging the ship as we speak!”

“Once she makes her move, we’ll find her,” said Viktor. “But while we’re looking have the maintenance droids replace the holding cell force fields with actual doors, doors with locks that don’t open when the power goes down! What was Eggman thinking?! A door made of paper would have been better in long run, at least that would have slowed her down for a second!”

As everyone else left Hope held her hands over her heart. “Shadow, Sonic, wherever you are please hurry!”

Chapter 11: Operation: Twilight Liberation

Summary:

With the Freedom Fighters off to stop Robotnick's plan to take over Mobius Knuckles and the Chaotix had into the Twilight Cage to save the Echidna, but what they find there reveals the true nature of Robotnick's plans.

Chapter Text

Amy came into the security booth and spotted the young badger looking over the Sky Patrol. She felt sorry of what she was about to do to him, but the team needed to get out fast and he was in the way.

“You have to help me!” Amy yelled. “There was a collapse from damage caused by the battle yesterday, Queen Hathor’s trapped under some rubble!”

The badger reached for a radio. “I’ll contact the police…”

Amy took the Badger by the wrist. “I did but it will still take time I need your help to move the debris!”

Once Amy took him out of the room Sonic signaled the others. “We’re clear, let’s go!”

The Freedom Fighters quickly boarded the Sky Patrol and by the time the Badger and Amy came back into the Hangar the mobile base had already lifted off and was on its way out of the city.

Sally sat in the captain’s chair as the rest of the Freedom Fighters took their positions on the bridge. “Rotor, have you found the Colossus yet?”

“Yes, Nicole’s frequency did the trick,” said Rotor. “Robotnick’s battleship is in a holding pattern over the Great Southern Ocean. We should intercept him in about twelve hours.”

“We’re cutting it awfully close,” Sally sighed. “That’s when the ceremony begins, but between the speeches and the actual signing of the Mobian Accords he could be planning to attack in minutes of then or hours.”

“No problem, we just got to hit Mister Perfect hard and fast!” said Sonic.

“Zhen we better tell the Letter of Gabriel where to rendezvous with us,” said Antione. “We will need zhier firepower to take down that monster. We can’t depend on a surprise attack this time.”

“I’ll get them on the horn,” said Bunnie. “Hopefully they won’t try to arrest us for taking the Sky Patrol without permission.”

Sally pressed the intercom on the chair. “Shadow please report to the bridge. We might need your help to convince GUN to co-operate with us.”

“Already on my way,” Shadow responded.

“I have her,” said Bunnie. “Patching her through now.”

A hologram of a blonde human woman appeared near the viewport of the bridge. “This is Captain Amanda Tower of the G.U.N.S. Letter of Gabriel, identify yourself.”

Sally stood up. “I am Princess Sally Alicia Acorn, in command of the Freedom Fighter airship Sky Patrol, we have information on the whereabouts of Viktor Robotnick and request to accompany you on a mission to rescue his hostages and bring him in.”

“The Sky Patrol? We just got word that you left Freedom City without authorization.”

“Our mission is so urgent we couldn’t wait for authorization,” said Shadow as he entered the bridge. “Captain I have worked closely with your father-in-law in the past, it might not be according to regulations but please, don’t report us.”

Amanda had a smile cross her face. “We were informed of the Sky Patrol’s leaving without permission, but Commander Tower had ordered us to ignore the advisory and focus on neutralizing the Colossus. If you want to accompany us, then I must let you if I’m to follow my orders exactly.”

“Thank you, Captain,” Sally said with a short nod. “Given our current locations we’ll rendezvous with each other in eight hours.”

“Copy that, Letter of Gabriel out.”

After the hologram vanished Sonic sighed. “Now all I can do is wait twelve hours. I’ll be using the gym to run a couple thousand laps to keep loose.”

“Before you go you and Shadow should take a look at this,” Tails said as was working at his station. “It’s a weapon we weren’t able to use last time. The Colossus might have better weapons and armor but with this we might stand a chance.”

Sonic smirked at what he saw on the display. “Alright, let’s see Mister Perfect have a defense ready for this!”

“It’ll be even more effective when I use it,” said Shadow.

“In your dreams.”

“Sonic,” Tails said with a bit of melancholy. “Amy’s going to be ok, right?”

“Don’t worry buddy, I’m sure she can figure a way out of trouble.”


The Badger removed a pair of handcuffs from his belt as his fellow officers arrived. “I hate to do this miss Rose, but I’ll have to bring you in for question…” Amy then suddenly vanished. “How in the heck?! Put out an APB!”

Outside the city Amy was flying her Extreme Gear as Lucian clung to her waist. “You used a split image spell? What about our promise to Sonic?”

“It was an emergency,” Amy replied. “Sort of… I’ll come clean once they come back. So, where is this hiding spot you mentioned?”

“Just keep going ahead for few hours then circle back to lose anyone who may be following us, and I’ll point the spot out. But it’s more than a hiding spot to me, it was where Master Charlemagne had trained me for years, my home. We were just starting Fiona’s training when we had to abandon it, even with our wards it was only a matter of time until Eggman found us.”

“You’re going to show me your room?” Amy said using her elbow to give Lucian a playful poke.

“Yes, but we better keep an ear out for your radio, just in case the team needs our help.”

“Don’t worry, we’ll BOTH keep this soultouch we have in check.”

Amy stepped on the accelerator and the gear shot forward.


The Chaotix were in Chuck’s lab, the elder hedgehog and Ben had just finished assembling the Star Posts. “This should charge that Warp Ring of yours enough to get you to the Twilight Cage,” Chuck said.

“Thanks professor,” Knuckles said before turning to the Chaotix. “Remember time in the Twilight Cage only goes about a quarter of the speed of our universe, so the plan is to find what happened to everyone, rescue them if possible and then get out.  And when I say everyone, I mean everyone Dark Egg Legion included, protect yourselves if you have to but I made a promise to Dimitri to at least try to get Lien-Da to stop what she’s doing.”

Relic passed a wrist mounted device to each member of the team. “The professor set these to keep track of elapsed time in both zones. The plan is to search for two hours, about eight hours here, and then come back and try again tomorrow if needed. This should keep us from spending a few days there and finding months have passed here on Mobius.”

Everyone put the chronometers on. “Keep in mind we’ll probably have a fight on our hands, either from the DEL or the Nocturnus, probably both, and there’s a chance the Destructix might already be there.” Knuckles then put on a backpack and stowed a double-barreled gun inside. “Julie is going to want this once we find her. Is everyone ready?” Knuckles got a nod from the team. “Then let’s go.”

Knuckles threw the ring into the air and a portal opened to a massive stone fortress with several high-tech devices spread throughout.

“Mighty, wait!” Fiona said as she approached the Armadillo. “All of you…please be careful.”

Mighty gave her a thumbs up. “Hey, we’re the Chaotix, it’ll take more than Lien-Da’s clowns or your former flunkies to stop us! But yeah, we’ll be careful.”

The team stepped through then the ring shrank down and vanished.


The Chaotix appeared in the fortress courtyard. “Alright, where’s Saffron?!” Charmy said ready to thrust his stinger.

Espio prepared a shuriken in his hand. “Where’s the enemy?!”

“Guys,” Relic said taking a few steps forward. “Where’s…everyone?”

Looking around the courtyard was completely deserted. There were several turrets on the wall all empty of operators.

“You’re right,” said Knuckles. “Since we’re right in the middle of Nocturnus territory I’d think there’d be some response.

“You think everyone ran from the Dark Egg Legion?” asked Ray.

“From what Julie said, not a chance and even if they did Lien-Da’s cronies would fighting us.”

“Well there was a battle,” Vector said looking a damaged wall. “Kinda recent, about a month ago here. Seems like they were fixing the damage when whoever was responsible just dropped what they were doing and left.”

Mighty had a worried look about him. “You don’t think whatever weapon the Order of Ixis planned to use here had already wiped them all out?”

Charmy flew into Mighty’s face. “You better hope not! Otherwise…!”

“Easy Charmy,” Liza said grabbing the bee. “We have no evidence either way, the best thing to do is to keep searching.”

Knuckles turned to Relic. “Assuming there was an attack and there were survivors, where would they go here?”

Relic turned to a staircase leading downward. “This place seems like an ancient echidna citadel that incorporated advanced technology. There should a residential area beneath the ground floor, the first place they’d use as a shelter and where the Nocturnus would probably spend most of their off-duty time.”

“Alright, we’ll search there next, we have to use these two hours as best we can.”

As the Chaotix moved forward Ray kept looking around. “Anybody else feel like they’re being watched?”

“Something is off,” said Espio. “Relic you said the Nocturnus embraced advanced technology, right?”

“Yes,” the Pika said. “I don’t think they used cybernetic implants though.”

“Then why haven’t we seen any tech that either wasn’t built into the place or smaller than those turrets outside?”

Vector looked around the hallway. “Now that you mention it, this place looks like it’s being cleaned out, but more recently than it whatever it was that happened here.”

“Sounds like the Destructix to me,” said Knuckles. “This Starline guy probably went through all this to get Nocturnus tech.”

“Wait,” said Relic. “I think I hear someone.”

“…re…qui…red…assi..stan…ce…re…”

“It’s coming from that rumble,” Mighty said pointing to a pile of debris in the corner.

Knuckles punched the rubble away exposing a battered and damaged robot.

“A gizoid!” Relic said excitedly. “Looks like a mass-produced combat model.”

“Not anymore,” said Charmy. “He’s totally wrecked.”

“I can’t save it from total systems failure, but I think I can fix it up enough for it to tell us what happened here before that.”

“Well since it’s no shape to pose a threat to us, go ahead,” said Knuckles.

Relic did some rewiring and removed some burnt-out circuits, the gizoid looked around.

“Terminal damage detected, identify friend/foe protocols unresponsive, awaiting instructions.”

“What happened here?” asked Knuckles. “Where are the Albion Echidna?”

“Albion, faction of refugee Echidna from Mobius designated as enemies to Imperator Ix for siding with the Dark Legion and Nestor’s rebel Nocturnus. Objective: purge rebels and their allies.”

“Purge?! You mean they’re dead?!”

“Negative: rebels and allied factions launched counterattack; this unit was damaged in combat thirty-one cycles ago.”

“Cycles, you mean days?” asked Relic. “You’ve been buried here for a month?”

“So about four months ago our time,” said Liza.

“Did you detect anything during that time?” asked Knuckles. “Anything unusual?”

“Twenty-four cycles ago, shockwave detected. Unable to record further data. Battery… depleted, good…night…”

The gizoid shut down.

“Well we know more than we did when we got here,” said Ray. “Looks like the guy in charge didn’t like the Albion echidna or the Dark Egg Legion so in order to survive they both teamed up with some rebels inside of the Nocturnus.”

“Question is, who won?” asked Espio.

“The answers have to be in the residential area,” said Knuckles. “Come on, we have no time to waste.”


A few minutes later The Chaotix entered what looked like an enclosed town square with a defaced echidna statue in the middle, apartments, shops and a tavern were set into the walls and there were chairs, streamers and other decorations set about, like a festival was about to be thrown. The strangest thing however was that there were plies of tribal clothes strewn about everywhere.

“What do you make this, detective Vector?” asked Ray. “Your hunches seem to be holding up so far.”

“Just picked a few things up from mystery novels,” said Vector. “Relic, can you tell me whose statue got a face job here?”

Relic knelt and read the inscription at the base. “It says ‘Imperator Pir'Oth Ix.”

“Then I think it’s safe to assume the rebels won and were celebrating when whatever happened took place.”

“What do you make of these Relic?” Mighty said picking up a feathered cap and cloak. A pair of glasses and an eyepatch lay nearby.

“Wow!” Relic took the objects and examined them. “This is a traditional echidna wedding headdress! The groom would wear this then drape the feather cape around the bride. Looks like from the clothing and festival decorations a wedding was taking place here, you wore something like this to a wedding once right Knuckles?”

Knuckles however had his eyes glued on a small rattle near the front row of chairs.

“This belonged to Kneecaps. He and Mother had to be here when...”

“Knuckles, this doesn’t mean they’re gone,” said Liza. “It’s possible they’re just hiding somewhere else here.”

“I know but the idea that they needed me, and I wasn’t there…”

“Guys, in here!” Charmy yelled from one of the apartments. “I found something!”

They entered the apartment Charmy was calling from and found a few sets of traditional echidna garb including a smaller set and one set with a feathered cap in the middle of the room. The bee’s attention however was on a small brown jacket and pink skirt that was hung up nearby, a teal tank top with matching boots and a gold belt was next to them.

Knuckles was trying his best to hold it together. “Julie…”

Charmy was tearing up. “Saffron…”

Relic took a closer look at the headdress “This is the bridal headdress, if Julie and Saffron were here they were probably bridesmaids, but to who?”

“Think this is a clue?” asked Espio as he pointed out a black high-tech suit and a black bandana with a purple symbol on it lying nearby.

Relic touched the suit and a strange helmet appeared over where the head would be. “Oh my gosh, working Nocturnus battle armor! All the examples Fix-it and I have found were falling apart, this is incredible!”

“So, it was a guard, probably one of the rebels,” said Vector. His eye was drawn to another set of clothes carefully laid on a chair. “Guys I think I found out who the bride was.” Vector picked up and showed a familiar two-piece black suit, a feather like one on the headdress was stuck in one of the pockets.

“Lien-Da!?” exclaimed Knuckles. “But she’d be the last person I’d expect to fall in love, and no way either of her or Julie would want to be part of the other’s personal life after everything that happened between them!”

“Wait a minute,” Vector put the suit down and picked up what looked like a tablet computer that fell behind a dresser. “Relic can you get this thing working again?”

Relic examined the device. “Looks like it just ran out of power,” She attached a small battery to the device. “Maybe this could…got it! Looks like this device was used to record some sort of personal diary. This dairy should tell us what’s been going on here.”

The tablet displayed the image of a young echidna woman with orange fur and purple eyes, she was wearing the battle armor and bandana they found in the room. “Procurator,” the girl said before sighing. “Former Procurator Shade, Personal log number one. Well it’s official, I’m a traitor to the Nocturnus according to my great uncle the Imperator. After finding Argo and his pirates were working with my grandfather, Nestor the Wise, my eyes were opened to what the Imperator plans to do if we ever escape here and in good conscience, I couldn’t go through with it anymore. So, I ran away with them, I just hope this becomes worth it in the end.

“Personal log number two, something big happened in one of the rocks out here that we mined for minerals and Argo is insisting that we check it out before the Pretorian Guard get there first. I have some misgivings about this, it feels like something the Dark Legion would try whenever they wanted to steal our tech, but they haven’t been seen in months. Either way it’s going to be my first mission as a rebel, so if I don’t make any more entries after this, you’ll know why.

“Personal log number three, as if my world wasn’t turned upside down enough. We came on the abandoned Kron mining facility only to find the Pretorian Guard were capturing echidna, but they weren’t Nocturnus, most of them weren’t even Dark Legion. Agro and I went to where a few legionnaires were in a firefight with some of the pretorian gizoids when they collapsed. We took down the Gizoids before they could attack the defenseless legion but there was another Mobian with them, a bee. She had hit her head and was out cold and she still hasn’t recovered, but the others started to stir. It seems like something activated their memory neutralizing chips before they could be captured so they couldn’t tell us much, but they were thankful for any help they could get. We decided for now to tell them they’re Nocturnus like us, but thing is I recognize one of them. She led raids that tried to steal from a few of our outposts and we got into a few fights, she never saw my face but did hear my name. Well I finally know the name of my longtime rival, Julie-Su, she like the others couldn’t remember anything other than that. We found out from medical scans that one of them, Lien-Da, is her half-sister and the two have been reestablishing their bond. I wish I had a big sister who is as close to me as the two of them seem to be.”

Vector paused the log. “Get zapped in the head once and their relationship does a complete one-eighty. I think we can call the Dark Legion in all its forms history now.”

Knuckles however was holding back tears. “Julie, she forgot about me, about us… I can’t give up, we still have the soultouch, if anything can make her remember again it’s that. Relic, keep going.”

Relic continued the log.

“Personal log number four, our other Mobian guest, Saffron Bee woke up and the situation is a lot more… complicated than we thought. Turns out Julie defected from the Dark Legion for a group she calls the Chaotix, and even before then the relationship between the two sisters was VERY antagonistic. The memory naturalizing chips were activated by a supposed ally who said she’d get them back to Mobius but then turned on them before attacking Saffron and leaving them alone, an Overlander named Regina Ferrum.

“Grandpa says we can’t afford any infighting if we want to save the other Albion echidna from the Imperator, so for now Grandpa, Argo, Saffron and Me are maintaining the lie to the legionnaires, we’ll need their help for Argo’s plan; free the other races in the cage, The Zoah, the Kron, the Voxai and the N’rrgal from the Nocturnus, then together we’ll strike at the citadel and save everyone from the Imperator’s tyranny. They don’t suspect anything, but Julie says she has an empty feeling inside her, a yearning she doesn’t recognize. Saffron told us she was soultouched by an echidna named Knuckles back on Mobius, after telling her a modified version of the truth Julie wants to find a way back to him and get her memories of them together back. Being soultouched but not able to answer it… I got to have a talk with Argo.

“Personal log number five, we started a full rebellion with the Kron but I saw something strange happen on their homeland. There was an albino echidna there with a strange figure in purple robes and a mask…”

“Finitivus,” Knuckles growled. “So that’s where he went.”

“The albino, who I found out later was named Finitivus, was accusing the other figure, some guy named Specter, of lying to him. Specter then used some sort of magic on Finitivus, drained him of his power then left him for dead. Argo and I took him back to the Kron where Saffron told us about horrible things he did. But when he woke up, he was like a whole other person. He couldn’t remember anything past when he was about to use something called a chaos siphon suit. Being so tech savvy Grandpa said to keep him on like we have with the Legion. I’m getting worried that by keeping so many secrets something might fall apart.

“Personal log six, I’m still surprised we got both the Zoah and the N’rrgal to put aside their differences to join but Saffron is more surprised at a different alliance. Finitivus and Lien-Da are now both soultouched with each other. Grandpa says that the reason they didn’t feel it earlier is because the incident that Saffron told us made Finitivus into the madman she knows had buried his true personality under a ‘photo negative’ of Knuckles and whatever Specter did erased that photo negative personality. Despite her earlier misgivings, Saffron thinks that he and Lien-Da might have really changed for the better, she said she never seen either of them so…happy before, it’s something I have gotten to relate to a fair bit recently. However even though Julie’s happy for them too, I think she’s jealous, of them and of Argo and me. She’s seeing something that was taken away from her and even though she put on her usual tough attitude, we can tell she’s hurting. I promise you Julie, I’ll do everything I can to get you back to him.

“Personal log seven, just when things are going our way it all went sideways. We got the Voxai on our side after helping them reestablish individuality from their previous Overmind. Everyone got roughed up in the process but the Voxai have medical tech even more advanced than the Nocturnus. Problem is it healed all the damage, including the neural damage caused by the memory neutralizing chips. After she resoundingly beat Lien-Da in a fight Julie-Su won’t let any of the Legion or us near her, only Saffron. Finitivus’ evil personality is still gone but the guilt over what he did is eating him alive, Saffron’s trying to keep everyone together but all this time she was trying to deny how much she missed her fiancée Charmy. Lien-Da seems to have been hit the hardest though, after she lost the fight the first order her former troops were given by Julie-Su was to lock her up, the second was to dissolve the Dark Legion permanently. Lien-Da goes between furious screaming and hysterical sobbing, I think she doesn’t know who she is anymore. She’s torn between something she had wanted her whole life and what gave her joy these few weeks and it seems like no matter what she does she’s going to lose both. The other races are already planning their attack on the Citadel, but if we can’t get through this… our revolution might be over before it has even begun.

“Personal log eight, I still don’t believe it, but we won. When the initial attack was launched, we managed to free the echidna who were held prisoner, Nocturnus, Legion and Albion alike. While we tried to hold the Imperator’s Gizoids off everyone began fighting among themselves, but then my grandpa proved why they call him Nestor the Wise. He said that echidna history had become a record of brother turning against brother, sister against sister, husbands and wives, parents and children, and it would just keep going unless we chose to end it. It rallied them and convinced almost every Nocturnus to come to our side.

“Ix lost it however, ordered the Gizoids to wipe out the ALL the echidna, even those still loyal to him, those who managed to avoid them joined us. It was still a hard fight all the way to throne room, Julie-Su managed to take down Scylla, one of the Imperator’s two prefect gizoids, but left herself open to the other, Charyb. I thought we wouldn’t be able to save her but Lien-Da came, Finitivus broke her out, and she took the hit herself and finished Charyb. When Julie asked why she saved her Lien said she realized that what she thought she wanted never made her happy and she’d protect what she now knows does, starting by being the big sister she should have always been. Ix however was stronger than we thought, both sisters were heavily injured. My Great Uncle left me no choice but…”

Shade touched the silver bracelet that was part of her armor. “…to finish him with my leech blade. There’s a lot of rebuilding to do, injuries to recover from but Grandpa, says we need something to pull everyone together and set them at ease about old enemies…” Shade had a small sudden smile. “I think I got it.”

“Personal log nine, it’s been a week since everyone was freed and it’s a really big day for two that a lot of people need convincing that they’ve changed for the better.” The was a knock on the door behind her. “Come in!”

Julie-Su, Saffron and Lien-Da came in. Saffron was smiling. “We’re here with the blushing bride!”

Lien-Da was clearly a nervous wreck. “I’m going through with it,” the former grandmaster said. “I’m actually going through with it. In a few minutes I’m going to be someone’s wife. All my life I was dedicated to technology and personal power, not love. And now here I am, about to give all of that up to be a wife and mother…” Lien-Da lost all color. “Sweet Aurora, I’m going to lay an egg someday! Julie you know how screwed up being in this family can make you! Between me and Finitivus people will think our baby will grow up to destroy the universe! I can’t do this!”

Julie-Su slapped Lien-Da across the face. “Get a hold of yourself! This ceremony isn’t just about you or Finitivus but what you both owe these people! After everything they’ve been through the people need a sign that they can try to go on with their lives until we find a way out of here and everyone seeing you two give up your old ambitions to start a quiet life together will set their minds at ease! Now pull yourself together, put on that wedding dress, get out there and make that scary looking former mad scientist the happiest man in the Twilight Cage!”

Lien-Da took a few deep breaths. “I… I needed that. Strange for the first time in my life there’s nothing else I want, not power or revenge, just him. And all he wants is me, not to use for his own plans or to take power, he just wants me, no one ever just wanted me. It feels like I should be punished for, well my whole life up to before I lost my memory, not having a wedding like this. Why did you forgive me, despite everything I did to you, after I took your mother and our father away?”

Julie-Su looked haunted. “I’ve always hated what you did to others, but it never felt personal, even after I began getting my memories back my foster parents felt more like family to me than anyone in House Dimitri. I asked around about both Mari-Su and Merin-Da and found neither was really a saint, I doubt you would have turned out better with either of them, I’d probably be worse if mother raised me.

A small smile then came across Julie’s face. “But the way you treated me when neither of us could remember, I liked having a sister and I recently realized how starved for a loving family you really were, even if you didn’t know it. I wouldn’t say we’re friends, there’s still a lot for you to make up for, but I as long you stick with it, I think there is hope for you.”

“That actually means a lot coming from you.” Lien-Da turned to Shade. “Thank you for getting Nestor to officiate the ceremony, I think asking one of the Albion council would have been a bit much for the two of us.”

Shade simply gave a nod. “Grandpa really appreciates you both putting yourselves out there when you could have done this privately. You and Julie-Su were two of my biggest enemies, hard to believe that we’d go through something like what we did and because of that you might become two of my best friends.”

“Hey don’t forget me!” said Saffron.

“Of course, but you we’re never an enemy to me.”

“Alright, then.” Saffron picked up the robes that were made in her size. “Let’s get prettied up!”

Julie-Su sighed as she began undressing. “I always hated getting dressed up, but despite everything it is my half-sister’s wedding so it’s the least I can do.”

In a few moments the bridal party was dressed, Lien-da had makeup applied to her and Saffron put the feathered cap on the bride. “Well what do you think?” asked Shade.

Lien-Da went to look in a mirror that the Chaotix could tell was behind the recorder. “Is…that me? I look like a picture I saw of…Mother. I always thought of myself as beautiful, but I think this is the first time I FEEL beautiful.”

“You’ll get no argument from me,” said Saffron. She then looked away with a tear. “You look like I hoped I would look when Charmy and I would get married…”

Charmy touched the screen. “Saffron…”

“I know how you feel,” said Julie-Su. “Knuckles and I thought as long as we were committed to each other we didn’t need a ceremony or some legal document. But being away from him for what feels like forever, I still don’t think we need any of that, but I think I might want them all the same now.”

Knuckles followed Charmy’s lead. “If you want it, then you got it.”

“Yeah,” said Shade. “When me and Argo go through with it, I hope I look half as good you do right now. I’m solider through and through but that’s going to be the one day I want to be a princess. Well it looks like the guests are all here and the groom is in place, time for you both to take the plunge and…”

Suddenly the whole room shook, the shaking knocked the recorder behind the dresser where Vector had found it. The recorder kept going as it looked like the battery was about to die.

“Was that an earthquake?” Saffron asked from off camera.

“In the Twilight Cage?” said Shade. “Not a chance, it felt more like the shockwave from a big explosion.”

“Lien-Da you better stay here while I see what’s going…ARGH!” Julie-Su screamed unseen.

“Julie!” Knuckles punched the ground.

“Julie, your arm, your quill!” Saffron yelled.

Suddenly the other girls screamed, and more screaming was coming from outside.

“Where is this pain coming from?!” said Lien-Da.

“It feels like my brain’s on fire!” added Shade.

“What’s happening to…!” Julie gritted out before the screen turned to static.

“Get it back!” Knuckles said to Relic.

“There’s nothing to get back,” the Pika said. “The battery died then, that’s all she wrote.”

“So, we learned just about everything except what actually happened to the echidna,” grumbled Mighty.

“Saffron,” Charmy said crying. “She really could be gone forever. I can almost feel her…” Charmy then looked confused. “Wait a minute, it feels a bit stronger over here.”

Knuckles then beamed. “Of course, you have the soultouch now! Maybe I can…” Knuckles closed his eyes, went out of the apartment then stopped and smiled. “Yes, I can feel Julie! Being soultouched to someone makes you more sensitive to their pheromones, we can use that to find Julie and Saffron! Focus on her scent and the part of you that feels pulled to Saffron, try to find where it is pulling you to.”

Charmy closed his eyes. “Ok, what am I smelling for?”

“Usually when your soultouched instead of their actual scent your mind interprets it as something pleasant you associate with them.

Charmy sniffed. “I think I got it. It feels like she’s somewhere in this direction!”

“I feel Julie’s in the same place, keep focused on that feeling. Everyone else follow us!”


The Chaotix had followed the trail and to another courtyard but this one was surrounded by industrial buildings.

“I can feel it,” said Charmy. “Saffron’s nearby!” The bee looked around. “But this place looks abandoned too.”

Vector knelt and inspected the rock. “Ground’s been disturbed here too, like at the town square. It doesn’t make sense.”

Knuckles then cupped his hands around his mouth. “Julie! Julie it’s us, we made it!”

“Saffron!” Charmy yelled. “It’s alright, you don’t have to hide!”

“Julie please answer me!”

“Wait a minute,” said Ray. “Do you hear buzzing?”

“Forget that,” said Espio drawing a kunai. “Something’s coming out of the ground right there!”

A bit of earth next to Knuckles was being churned up. The next thing the echidna knew he was flat on his back as something began licking him with gusto.

“Hey, stop it!” Knuckles grabbed the thing liking him and held it at arm’s length. It was about the size of a flicky or similar mobini that was pink, quadrupedal with a spiny back, curved claws that looked made for digging, a tongue longer than its mouth would seem to indicate and a tiny tail that was wagging like crazy.

“I’ve never seen a mobini like that before,” said Mighty.

“But it also looks familiar,” said Vector.

Knuckles suddenly froze in shock. “No, it can’t be…Julie?”

The mobini stopped and had a quizzical look on its face as it made a confused squeak.

“That can’t be Julie-Su.” said Relic. “Can it?”

“I can tell from the soultouch, it’s her.”

“What happened to her?” asked Liza.

“Julie, do you remember me? Do you remember this?” Knuckles put the mobini down then took the blaster from the backpack and laid it down after locking the safety on. The mobini sniffed at it then ignored the gun to nuzzle his leg like a pet. “I think she recognized my scent, but I don’t think she can remember from where.”

Espio sighed. “Sadly, it seems like most Mobini her intelligence is now on the level of a small child.”

Soon the devolved echidna then started yipping. Seemingly in response the ground was getting disturbed all around the Chaotix then several similar mobini of different colors came from the ground and started yipping along.

Knuckles fell to his knees. “Remington, Komi-ko, Wynmancher, Kneecaps, Mother, they’re all here, they’ve all become this! They, they’re all just…beasts!”

Charmy felt something land on his hand. He looked to see a tiny bee-like mobini about the size he would be when he would shrink down, it had an additional pair of legs. “Saffron?!” Charmy put the mobini on the ground. “Let me try something!” He soon shrank down to her size. “Ok, let’s get big again, together. Ready?” Saffron just blinked in a confused manner. “Guys I don’t think she can change size anymore! Oh, poor Saffron!”

“I promise,” said Knuckles. “We’ll find a way to change all of you back, Albion, Legion, Nocturnus everyone.” He looked at two echidna mobini nearby, a white one and a red one, they both stepped back from him nervously. “Lien-Da, Finitivus, if Julie thinks you’ve both changed, I’ll give you a chance after all I promised Dimitri.” He then noticed an orange echidna approaching Julie. “You must be Shade. Don’t worry, I’ll change you, Nestor and Argo back as well. Thank you for being Julie’s friend.”

The mobini then suddenly looked panicked and began digging back into the ground closing the way behind them.

“Julie no! Come back! Why?!”

Suddenly the courtyard echoed with a menacing sounding chuckle. Charmy grew back to normal size and Saffron zipped into his hand which he gently closed around her.

Knuckles turned around and looked up to see a purple Tasmanian Devil standing on wall with one foot on the ledge and two devil dogs at his side growling. Knuckles made a fist. “Thrash.”

“This,” Thrash said as he continued to chuckle. “This is too good. I went on this mission because the old man wanted to know if the Echidna wiped themselves out yet and what do I find? They all came together instead only to suffer the same fate they condemned my people to. It’s better than my father hoped for, poetic justice.”

“It’s not justice!” Knuckles yelled. “What happened to the Devil Dogs was generations ago, none of these people had anything to do with it!”

“You’re right,” said a white platypus in a red coat and glasses as he walked out next to Thrash. “This isn’t Justice, it’s a disaster! One of the most brilliant minds Mobius has ever seen reduced to a dumb animal! I wanted to learn from Finitivus now that Eggman’s gone, but I guess I’ll have to settle for using the Nocturnus weaponry to carve out my own empire on Mobius.”

Vector smirked. “Doctor Starline I presume?”

Starline bowed. “At your service, as long as that service involves beating you into submission.”

“Yeah,” said Ray. “Not happening, in case you haven’t noticed we have you outnumbered.”

“I wouldn’t be so sure about that,” Starline raised his left hand so the back of his glove faced the Chaotix, on it was a circular yellow gem. “Not as long as I have my greatest invention, the Warp Topaz!”

The gem shined as a portal opened to what looked like a where a bunch of Nocturnus tech was being kept. Soon a very large gorilla with a soldier’s helmet and bandoleer came through.

“Sargent Simian reporting for duty!” said the leader of the Destructix. “Roll call! Lightning Lynx!”

The ninja feline with blue gloves and boots with yellow lightning bolts leapt through at incredible speed. “I look forward to beating you lizard!” he said as he glared at Espio.

“Predator Hawk!”

A blue bird of prey with red gloves and boots flew out and slashed a nearby pillar with metallic feathers that were added to his forearm. “Like Infinite’s little present for me?!”

“Flying Frog!”

A frog with a pilot’s cap and a white scarf flew out on membranes that stretched from his arms to his waist. “So, who’s ready for some fun?” He said with wicked glee.

“You don’t scare us!” said Liza. “The Chaotix beat these goons before!”

“Not all these goons my dear,” said Starline.

A pair of skunks, one short with purple fur and one tall with white fur and a cybernetic hammer like tail leapt out at the Topaz’s portal closed.

“You all think you’re so hot,” said the purple.

“But get ready to be humble,” said the white.

They both finished together. “’Cause the Destructix now has Rough and Tumble!”

“Boy,” said Relic. “Since Infinite was beaten your recruitment has seriously gone downhill.”

“Is she making fun of us Rough or the Destructix?” the white skunk asked.

“Both Tumble,” Rough grumbled. “She’s making fun of both.”

“I’d say the odds have been evened nicely,” said Starline. “How about you let us take these weapons and you can do whatever you wish with the little dirt movers.”

“Not in your twisted dreams,” said Knuckles.

“I was hoping you’d say that,” said Thrash. The next moment he gave a roar that threw the Chaotix against the wall. Thrash pointed at the stunned heroes. “Get ‘em, but the echidna’s mine!”

“Relic you’re not a fighter!” said Vector as he started grappling with Sargent Simian. “Find some place to hide!”

“You don’t have to tell me twice!” Relic said trying to run.

A portal appeared in front of her and Starline came through. “Sorry, but I’m afraid I need an expert in the ancient Echidna to be able to recreate all this tech. Come quietly and you won’t be harmed.”

Relic clenched her fist. “I’ve dedicated my life to recovering the lost secrets of ancient Mobius. I won’t let someone like you misuse them!”

“If you insist, I’m more of a thinker than a warrior myself but I do enjoy the occasional workout!”

Starline tried to kick Relic, she dodged and just barely avoided the spur on the back of his ankle.

“What have you gotten yourself into girl?!”

Espio and Lightning Lynx were trading blows and dodging thrown weapons.  Lynx threw a punch that Espio caught. “With these weapons I’ll prove my worth to my bride.”

“Your bride no longer leads the Raiju,” said Espio. “And one of the first things Jian did when she became the Bride of Conquering Storms was to exile you permanently for the right reasons, your shameful misdeeds!”

Lynx growled. “Jian made the Raiju into a bunch of weaklings! Once the true bride recognizes my loyalty and worth, we’ll prove just how weak the four clans have become!”

“Then for the honor of the Shinobi Clan I will defeat you!”

Predator Hawk and Ray were swooping at each other. “Did you get taller? Then let me cut you down to size!” Predator’s legionized bladed wing nearly cut Ray’s “wing”.

“I’d ask if you got lamer,” said Ray as he climbed up then divebombed predator in the back. “But you were already at zero and it doesn’t get lower!”

Flying Frog was pursuing Charmy. “I’m going to swat you AND that little bug you seem to care about!”

As Charmy avoided Frog’s tongue Saffron gave a scared whine from Charmy’s hand. “Don’t worry Saffron, I won’t let this psycho lay a single webbed finger on you! We’re all that’s left of the Golden Hive Colony and I won’t let Mom, Dad, Sis, Mellow and especially you down ever again!”

Charmy turned and flew into Flying Frog stinger first, the demented amphibian was forced to dodge.

Back on the ground Mighty and Liza were facing the crooked skunk brothers. Tumble tried to crush Liza beneath his legionized hammer tail. “I might have only finished my training recently, but your movement is so obvious I could have dodged it after my first lesson!”

Tumbled roared. “I’d crush you if you’d hold still!”

“Which is why I’m not going to!” Liza jumped off Tumbles’ head and onto a wall.

Rough let loose a cloud of musk, Mighty sidestepped while pinching his nose closed. “You really stink, and this stuff smells bad too!”

“Yuck it up!” sneered Rough. “We’ll make this team even more feared then when it was under the last boss and his hussy…”

Rough was forced to sidestep before a curled up Mighty nearly hammer dropped onto his head. “Shut up! You have NO idea what you’re talking about, what she’s been through, the guilt she feels!”

“Touched a nerve, have I?” Rough said with grin. “The rest of the gang might want to know where the girl who ditched them is.”

Meanwhile Knuckles was trying to avoid both Thrash’s blows and the bites of his devil dogs. “Look at how low you’ve sunk.” Knuckles said as he knocked the devil dogs out. “You were a freedom fighter, you fought to free Downunda from Eggman. But you threw that away, joined a madman for the sake of a millennia long grudge and now you’re helping another for what, money, power?”

“You’d never understand!” Thrash let out another roar, Knuckles ducked just as it blew a hole in the wall behind him. “For generations less and less Mobian devils were born and more and more devil dogs. My pets you just knocked out; those are my sisters! They never had a sapient thought in their lives, but we still recognize them as our own!” Thrash and Knuckles still exchanged punches and kicks. “And all the while our society decayed. I will likely never have a child of my own that can say ‘I love you’ back to me, my people might not survive past my generation and even if they do, they have only one, two more at best after that!

Thrash managed to knock Knuckles down and started beating on him. “But even dying we’re a united people, but what has the mighty Echidna Civilization done in all that time? Pursue millennia long grudges as you called them, splitting and fracturing more willing to label those who disagree with them as either heretics or backwards fools then recognize their kinship. Even if I never came along it was only a matter of time until all sides paid the price of their fanaticism!”

Knuckles managed to grab his fist and punched him off. Knuckles was trying to figure a way out to win.

“He said that Echidna history had become a record of brother turning against brother, sister against sister, husbands and wives, parents and children, and it would just keep going unless we chose to end it.” Shade’s words echoed in his head. Suddenly, he knew what he had to do.

Vector and Simian had broken off their grapple and had been trading punches. “Face facts croc,” Simian boasted. “Infinite had trained my unit into a lean mean fighting machine, Eggman Legionzied us all after we were brainboxed, you have no chance of winning!”

“You may get new toys and learn some tricks, but you guys have the same weakness you had since Mammoth Mogul got you together.”

“Oh, and what’s that?”

Lynx had kicked Espio to the ground. “Any last words, Shinobi?”

Espio smiled. “Just one, Atari.”

“Atari? You’re not nearly surrounded, you’re practically finished!”

“You also say it in Go when you’re one move away from capturing one or more of your opponents’ stones.”

Mighty and Liza stood side by side as the skunk brothers squared off against them. “How about we take them both out with a spin dash Rough?”

“Best idea you’ve had all day Tumble!”

The two curled up and seemed to be starting to ‘rev up’ in place.

“Get ready,” said Mighty.

“I know what to do,” said Liza.

In the air above Predator had almost caught up with Ray. “He swoops to conquer!”

“Do not be so sure feather brain!” Ray yelled back at him.

Flying Frog cackled as he was on Charmy’s tail. “You’re a crummy prince! Your kingdom is gone, your people almost wiped out, the Golden Hive would have been better off if you were a jester like I was!”

“The Colony might be gone,” Charmy said through tears on his determined face. “But I’ll never be alone!”

“No matter who you guys end up fighting , it will always be people who have something worth fighting for,” Vector said with a smile.

Rough and Tumble shot forward, Mighty and Liza leapt to the side as the careening skunks rolled into a U-shaped pipe that lunched them in the opposite direction. Lightning heard the brothers screaming an turned just in time to be hit by the two of them joining Rough and Tumble for the ride. In the air Ray and Charmy both veered off to the side just into time for Predator and Frog to have mid-air head-on collision and start to fall. Vector stepped back just in time for the other Destructix to crash into Simian knocking the whole gang out cold in a heap.

Espio and Liza got out some wire and tied the unconscious mercenaries together. “Well looks like this case is just about wrapped up.”

The rest of the Chaotix responded with groans. “Really you’re going with that?” said Mighty.

“Wait,” said Espio. “Where’s Relic and Knuckles?”

Relic came to the group gasping. “Starline got away from me! He said something about a trump card he was going to use on Knuckles!”

“Then we better find him fast!” said Espio.

Knuckles had landed a flurry of blows on Thrash just as he backed him against a wall. The devil fell to the ground looked up and chuckled. “So, what’s it going to be, leave me here, lock me up, or finish me off? No matter what you do it won’t change anything.”

Knuckles gave him a hard stare. “You’re right, nothing will change until both our people are extinct, unless someone is willing to be the first to let the grudge go.” Knuckles offered his hand to Trash. “My people stagnated because we were more willing to condemn each other than reconcile, Eggman managed to hold onto power after the Bem’s roboticization immunity in large part because he exploited divides between the different Mobian races when the truth is once you get to a basic level we’re all actually one species with many forms. So, I’m willing to let what happened in the past to stay in the past.”

Thrash growled. “A lot of good that’s going to do my people, there’s no turning back for either of us.”

“From what we gathered it’s possible some weapon is responsible for what happened here, one that can alter an entire population’s genetics in moments. The best chance Julie and the others have of being restored is to use the same weapon and I think it can also restore your people’s ability to reproduce Mobian offspring. I promise I’ll push to make sure it happens so one day, once you make up for your mistakes, you’ll be able to have a child that can tell you they love with their own words.”

Thrash was wide eyed. “You’re serious? We always thought it was simply hopeless, no one else had ever said they would even try.” Thrash took Knuckles’ hand. “Ok, I’ll turn myself in, but you’d better…”

Suddenly both Knuckles and Thrash found their arms were cut by Starline’s spurs as he leapt out of a portal. “Sorry, but I can’t have him leaving and spoiling my plans.”

Knuckles grunted as he threw a punch, but suddenly it seemed like there were five of Starline and it was hard to keep standing. “What in the…?”

“That would be the poison I coated my spurs with. Non-fatal in and of itself but I could easily finish you both if I wanted, but I think I’ll just take this instead.” Starline took the warp ring off Knuckles.

“Starline,” Thrash growled. “You backstabber!”

“Stop right there!” yelled Vector. He and the rest of the Chaotix arrived on the scene.

“Ah, now for the final piece.” Starline activated his Warp Topaz and a portal opened beneath Relic dropping her into his grasp. Starline then took out Julie-Su’s gun and pointed it at the Pika’s head. “Here’s how things are going to happen if you don’t want me scrambling her brains with a point-blank stun blast. I’ll be leaving the Twilight Cage with the hostage, the Nocturnus tech and your warp ring. You will all be trapped here while the girl will assist me in reverse engineering the tech.”

“I’d rather die!” Relic shouted.

“You don’t get a choice.”

“You’re just stranding your allies?!” shouted Liza.

“They knew the risks and Trash was about to betray me. Now if you’ll excuse me almost a day has passed in the outside world from my perspective and I don’t want to waste any more time.”

Suddenly several mobini echidna burst out of the ground behind Starline and fell on him. Julie-Su bit the hand holding her gun. Yelling in pain Starline dropped the gun and the hostage before he was pulled down by the small creatures.

“What are you doing?! Get off me!”

Two orange echidna, including one that seemed to have a damaged eye clawed at the back of left hand until the warp topaz fell from its setting and rolled next to knuckles along with the warp ring a red echidna with a smaller one on its back fished out of his pocket.

“Sorry Starline,” said Knuckles. “But I’m revoking your portal privileges!”

Knuckles shattered the artificial gem in a single blow.

“NO!!! Without my Warp Topaz…”

Knuckles held up his warp ring. “Your only way out of here leads straight to a Republic prison cell!”

Starline growled. “I refuse! I won’t let my genius be contained…ACK!”

Thrash grabbed the platypus by the throat. “Like you told the girl, you don’t get a choice!”

Trash headbutted the scientist knocking him out cold. Moments later Starline was put with the still unconscious Destructix.

“Open the way for me and I’ll turn these guys and myself in,” said Thrash. “But my sisters come with me for the trip and you better keep your word!”

Knuckles opened the warp ring so it would easy to push the villains through. “I don’t know if it’s possible, but I spend the rest of my life trying if needed.”

Thrash and his sisters began carrying the mercenaries through. “I guess that’s all can hope for.”

The ring closed and went back to Knuckle’s hand. “Ok, first we’re going to get Saffron and all the Echidna here back to Angel Island, then once there I’ll use the warp ring to head back to Sir Charles’ lab to talk with the Sky Patrol and get started on finding a way to reverse this.” Knuckles then picked Julie-Su up and put her in the backpack. “You’re coming with me, after everything we went through, I’m not letting you out of my sight until the woman I love is back to her old self.”

Julie yipped happily.


The warp ring opened in the lab as Knuckles stepped through before it shrank down into Knuckles’ hand.

“You’re back,” said Sir Charles. “The prison sent word that you and the Chaotix sent the Destructix and a couple other criminals their way, I take it that means your mission was successful?”

“Not completely,” Knuckles sighed. “We found them but…” Knuckles set Julie-Su on the ground. “…this is Julie-Su, she and everyone else we were trying to save are all Mobini.”

“Mobini?” Fiona was transfixed on the devolved echidna. “Mobini…mobini…moebini…AGH!” the vixen suddenly clutched her head.

“Are you alright Miss Fox?” asked Ben.

Fiona seemed to relax. “I…I remember now. I remember what happened on Moebius. Scourge, the Suppression Squad and…” Fiona gasped. “We have to call the Sky Patrol, now!”

“That’s part of why I’m here,” said Knuckles. “I was hoping Tails or Rotor might have an idea on how to undo this, but why the urgency?”

“Because they have to know or what happened on Moebius might happen here!” Fiona then motioned to Julie. “And instead of restoring the echidna we could all end up becoming just like them!”

A few moments later Knuckles and Fiona had a channel opened to the Sky Patrol’s conference room. Everyone there looked shocked and worried.

“A Xorda gene bomb,” Sally said with a hint of anger. “You’re telling me that by manipulating you and the Destructix, Specter had given Viktor Robotnick a Xorda gene bomb?!”

“I’m not making excuses,” said Fiona. “But I had to tell you because I’ve seen firsthand what Robotnick can do.”

“No, you haven’t,” said Shadow. “At least not as bad as it could get. We all remember the Quantum Dial and what the Xorda revealed to us that day, the gene bombs reshaped the face of the planet, caused disasters that nearly wiped out all life.”

“If it wasn’t for those disasters this planet would still be called Earth,” said Tails. “Mobians would have never evolved at all. We all owe our existence to weapons of mass destruction; our civilization came at the cost of billions of human lives…”

Cream took Tails hand. “Then we have to live enough for them too and be grateful for their sacrifice.”

“Right now, the only past I’m interested in is what happened on Moebius,” said Sally. “Fiona tell us the whole story.”

Fiona took a deep breath. “After we broke out of the No-Zone prison Scourge wanted to ignore Finitivus’ orders, take over the planet again and bring an army just to kill Sonic. I managed to get him try to track down what Finitivus wanted again, mostly by making him think it was his idea all along, but we found out things changed since the last time we were on Moebius.

“Alicia and Miles came up with a plan to load a bomb full of Anarchy Beryls, send it here and use it to change the Prime Zone into another Moebius making their zone the one others would have to follow. Problem was most of the beryls were on Devil Island, so they attacked O’Knuk and the Orderix. The Suppression Squad had beaten them badly, so badly O’Knuk and his partner Susie-Ju were desperate enough to break a seal to stop them.

“My double was a good guy and a pacifist unless pushed far enough,” said Knuckles. “What did he end up unsealing?”

Fiona looked to the floor. “Enerjak, an Enerjak that wasn’t so arrogant but just as twisted, and to make things worse their version of Aurora was on his side and they both possessed the those who broke the seal. The pacifist and, from what I heard, his hippie girlfriend became gods of destruction. Once they forced the Suppression Squad into retreating, they fused almost all the Anarchy Beryls together into what they called the Tyrant Beryl. You know how the Chaos Emeralds feed off the energy of emotions? Well it turns out the Anarchy Beryls feeds the darker emotions of those using them, and the Tyrant was feeding the dark impulses of every Moebian, Underlanders like Ovi Kintobor were immune but soon almost the entire planet was pledging their loyalty to Enerjak and Aurora. It was about here we came in.

“The Suppression Squad had holed up with Alicia’s hedonist brother Nigel, someone Scourge occasionally painted the town red with. Despite everyone hating each other we were forced into an alliance to gather what beryls we could so Scourge could go super and drain the power from Enerjak and Aurora. On top of Buns, Patch and Boomer, we had a few others on our side. Hershey’s double Nestle, a mistress of misinformation who was catty in every sense of the word; Mina’s double Nina, a shallow spoiled singer who expected everyone to do her work for her; Rouge’s double Blush, a shrinking violet with almost no confidence but plenty of skill; Cream’s double Vinegar, the most nihilistic and cruel child I have ever met; and finally… Fifi.”

“Whose double was Fifi?” asked Sonic.

Fiona blushed embarrassingly. “Mine, Fifi was a bubbly bimbo who even at her worst and cruelest was the most optimistic person I have ever seen. When there was a chance Fifi could lose an arm, her reaction was ‘goody, half-off manicures for life!’ Seeing that, it started to make me think of what kind of person I let myself become and the cracks between me and Scourge deepened. After a few weeks Mammoth Mogul showed up, offered to help us and gave a down payment by bringing Moebians who had been locked up in the No-Zone prison until Dr. Nega attacked, including Jeremy St. Croix, Smalls and King Maxx himself. But given everyone’s history the whole rebellion was a powder keg and it was more likely we’d kill each other than stop Enerjak. One day, I found that first Fifi tricked Scourge into thinking she was me for a date, we argued then Alicia suddenly announced that she was taking Scourge back, then he dumped me. I was so angry at him I decided once the job for Finitivus was done I wouldn’t depend on anyone but myself and go back to thievery. I went looking for the Destructix to tell them I was leaving when…”

“You found out about Specter,” said Tails.

Fiona nodded. “As dangerous he sounded, I knew I had to tell someone, I went to Miles and he brought Scourge, Alicia and Nigel together and came up with the plan. The next day we launched an attack on Alicia’s castle to take down Enerjak and Aurora. While Scourge was facing them the Destructix and I were supposed to find the artifacts and send them to Finitivus, I was also given the job of keeping Mammoth from getting his oversized mitts on them, but once we got our target Mammoth showed up and mind controlled us. Scourge managed to drain Enerjak and Aurora sealing them again and returning O’Knuk and Susie to normal. But in Scourge’s weakened state Alicia turned on him, Nigel took out his own father and everyone made a scramble for power. After sending the Destructix back to Mobius Mammoth kept me around for some reason I never got and used his magic to get the bomb to affect the whole planet.

Fiona began to sob. “It was horrible, Mammoth and I were immune because our DNA spiraled in the opposite direction of Moebians, but I was a prisoner in my own body while I watched everyone in such pain. Miles was desperate to hold onto his intelligence, Buns and Boomer’s cybernetics becoming flesh and bone again but that seemed to only amplify their pain, not even Fifi could find anything positive about it. Scourge… he was crying like a little boy, asking his father why he wasn’t looking at him, soon they all begged whatever power would listen for forgiveness if they would stop it from happening, but there was no answer. Soon every Moebian had devolved into simple Moebini. Mammoth opened a way back for me and commanded that I wouldn’t remember any of it. Next thing I knew I was in the middle of the desert alone with no idea how I got there and after walking for a day without water I came into a saloon and was being hugged by Mom.”

“Oh Fiona,” said Bunnie. “No matter what rotten things any of them did nobody deserves that.”

“Telling us was a very brave thing to do,” said Sally. “But the fact remains Robotnick is now in control of the last of those gene bombs and probably already used it to make dozens, if not hundreds of them. Worst case scenario, he could destroy Mobius the same way Earth was destroyed, best case he could devolve any area on the planet then his robots would be able to just move in and take over with no resistance. The only thing that’s kept him from using them before now is that he wants the world watching when he does, that means he’ll strike during the accord signing and that’s only hours away!”

Sonic gave a thumbs up. “So, let’s find Mr. Perfect, kick his butt, free our friends and put these gene bombs out of commission for good!”

“Wait Sonic,” said Knuckles. “If possible, I want to save a few bombs, we might be able to use them to get the Echidna and Saffron back to normal, undo what my ancestors did to the devils and as crazy as it sounds cure Moebius too. Not every Moebian was evil, it wouldn’t be right to leave them like that when we can help.”

“From the looks of things gene bombs are programable weapons,” said Rotor. “I mean when the big disaster happened the Xorda were just trying to devolve humans back to pre-sapience without touching anything else. That and the fact Viktor only gave this enhanced soultouch to mobians means he already figured how to make small changes on a species wide level. So yes, it just might be possible.”

“We’ll try to help them,” said Sally. “But keeping Robotnick from using these weapons has to come first.”

“I understand,” said Knuckles. “But I’d like to join you via warp ring, see if I can’t persuade Robotnick to let us ‘borrow’ his gene bomb plans.”

“I think that’s reasonable,” said Tails. “If we get the plans and wipe them from Robotnick’s systems he’ll have to start from scratch if wants to make more, unless he has an eidetic memory.”

“Let’s hope not,” said Antione. “Otherwise beating him will be zhat much harder.”

“Guys,” Silver called from the bridge. “I’m getting a breaking newscast from Freedom City. Rouge is patching it through.”

The image shifted to a tigress anchorwoman. “This just in King Charlemagne has regained consciousness and has already officially abdicated to King Maximillian Acorn. As his first act on returning to the throne King Max’s first decree was to reinstate Merlin Prower as court wizard and name Charlemagne as an official advisor to the Council of Acorn. In an official statement…”

The communication returned to normal. “Well that’s one less thing to worry about,” said Sonic. “Just warp here whenever and we should have enough time to get some shuteye before we hit the Colossus.”

Knuckles used his warp ring. “Are you coming Fiona?”

“Oh!” Fiona said coming out of a minor daze. “No, I have to make sure Master Charlemagne is feeling well then I’ll be leaving to tell Lucian and Amy the good news. Our old hideout wasn’t exactly the best place to get info from the outside world.”

“I’ll leave you to it then.”

Knuckles stepped through the Warp Ring and onto a hallway in the Sky Patrol. He took Julie-Su out of the backpack. “Don’t worry, Sonic and the others will help me get you back to normal in no time. Then if you still want it, we’ll start planning for our wedding.”

Julie started licking Knuckles happily.


Not long after Fiona had gotten Nic’s permission to take her hoverbike, the Fabulous Joker, and after telling her parents she was getting some things she left at Charlemagne’s home was zooming out of Freedom City, tears falling behind.

“I have to tell them before anyone else,” she thought to herself. “But, how can I? I thought I had finally left all the pain and darkness behind. I had a fresh start, a clean slate, a loving family, forgiving friends and a great destiny ahead of me. But with what I can now remember put together with what happened to me since, I can’t deny it anymore. I how can say I actually have any of that when the path that led me to them was based on a lie?!”

Chapter 12: Operation: Free Skies

Summary:

Sonic and Sally share a quiet moment, Vanilla has an unexpected reunion, Geoffery and Hershey have an important decision interrupted, the Freedom Fighters attack Robotinck's airship, revelation with dire implications is found, a surprise proposal is made and the fate of Mobius takes a strange turn.

Chapter Text

The alarm Sonic set had him up before the sun, after making himself a quick breakfast he came to the bridge and found Sally alone in the command chair.

“You know we’re just going in a straight line at this point,” he said to the princess. “You don’t have to be up here when you could be getting some extra shuteye.”

Sally turned around surprised. “Oh, sorry I couldn’t sleep. I kept thinking ‘this is it’ either we fail to stop Robotnick’s plan to use the gene bombs to devolve his enemies to the point where they’d be unable to stop him from taking over Mobius or we succeed and then what the council thought would come true, there wouldn’t be a need for Freedom Fighters anymore. Whatever happens this could easily be our last mission together.”

“There’s still Masquerade and his pick-a-card club to deal with.”

“True but it might be Knuckles and the Chaotix or Team Dark or any of the other Freedom Fighter divisions who end up dealing with them and even if we end up facing them we’d just end up right back here, peace within our grasp but if we get it there wouldn’t be a reason for the Freedom Fighters to exist. It’s what we all dreamed and strived for most or all our lives but now we could have it I find I don’t really know what to do with myself. When we started, I thought It would just be my responsibility to take the throne, but now Father is healthy again and with Elias fathering his own child it doesn’t seem to be my responsibility anymore.”

“But is being queen what you really want?”

“For a long time, I just took it for granted, that was the path by birth laid out for me. But after being betrayed so often my father wanted to make sure I was the best ruler possible and…”

“He took it too far and acted like a jerk to everyone in the process.”

“He and mother apologized to me for his behavior and her inaction a couple of days back, but the doubts about having the Source of All choosing who my husband would be began to make me wonder about what I wanted. Then after Eggman used the Phantom Ruby on me I tried to make my perfect world, justifying things I never would have before only to end up getting fooled and betrayed like my father and brother were.”

Sonic hugged her. “You made a mistake and you learned from it. We always knew you’d be a great queen.”

“If I must be I will but after that, just being born into a traditionally good family is no guarantee of goodness and I want to give future generations the best chance to stay free. I’ve come to think that in time I’d like the royal family’s duties to be mostly ceremonial. As for me, I think even if there isn’t a battle to be won, I’d still want to help people with all of you, especially you Sonic. You’re worth keeping up with and that isn’t just this new soultouch talking.”

“I’d…like that too, and you’re worth sticking around for even if you become Queen no matter what the Source would have said.”

Sally giggled. “You as King. There are a lot of people, some including close friends, who just can’t imagine it.”

“Well whatever you end up choosing I’d like us to stay together for it.” Sonic took a deep breath, he felt like now was the right time. He decided to start with a kiss…

As he leaned in, he found Sally had fallen fast asleep. After chuckling to himself he quickly ran out of the bridge and a second later came back in with a blanket. He draped the it over the princess and then looked out the viewport. “I guess it’s better to wait until after we win.” He thought to himself. “No more delays or denials, I’m going to ask what I should have a long time ago.”


 

The Sun had just started to rise as Vanilla took Chocola with her on a stroll through the flower gardens of New Spring Park. Cream had been invited to the accord signing ceremony and could bring a guest but yesterday Cream told her that she had to go with the Freedom Fighters to save Nicole and Hope Kintobor from Robotnick and took Cheese with her. She couldn’t help but worry, the last couple of days did nothing but give her reasons to be worried about Cream. First her little girl was hit with a spell that made her not so little anymore, then after an overnight job on their DNA Cream suddenly had a boyfriend and one that, if things stayed the same, would be the father of her grandchildren, and now Cream was going into the Lion’s Den.

It wasn’t that Cream was doing something dangerous, she’d proven she could handle herself with Cheese by her side, what got to Vanilla most was that was what was now both different and familiar. Though nowhere near as rebellious as she had been in her younger days Vanilla was seeing in her daughter a lot of the young woman she used to be, the one who ended up losing almost everything. Vanilla shook out of her reverie; she was supposed to be clearing her head before she returned home to watch the ceremony on TV. She decided to sniff at the air and take in aroma of the flowers…

Suddenly she felt like she was being pulled away by something familiar, something that had a hint of baked carrots and freshly washed cotton. Chocola was keeping up as she felt herself moving almost without meaning to, he was asking in Chaoese where she was going. “I don’t know Chocola,” she said. “I feel like I have to…”

She stopped as she saw a ghost who stopped at the same time, yet everything in her was saying he wasn’t. A little older but still in the same white shirt, red jacket and blue jeans, the same trusty pugil stick now dropping from his hand, the same ears, the same eyes…

“J-Johnny!?” the words just came out before she noticed a few other familiar faces were running to where they were.

“Hi Nilly,” the grey rabbit said dumbfounded. “I’m home.”

A pig, canary, black cat and a robian squirrel were coming towards Vanilla. Just as they got there, she gave the buck rabbit a hard slap on the face.

“Vanilla, what the heck?!”

“That was for making me think you were dead!” she then grabbed Johnny’s jacket and pulled him close tears in her eyes. “And this is for how much I missed you!” She gave him a deep kiss he returned and once she pulled away and noticed her old friends. “You’re all here? But the reactor, the explosion…”

“I remembered an obscure spell at the last second,” said Ebony. “It saved us but even when I learned it the counter spell had been lost for ages. We spent the last seven years like ghosts until about a month ago thanks to that energy wave that was set loose when that Super Death Egg Robot went boom.”

“We found out you had moved here afterward and decided at the very least we should get our fearless leader back to the missus,” said Tekno. “Though I have to say you’ve changed a lot Nilly but after what happened to us it’s understandable.”

“So that’s why Shortfuse wasn’t derobotized,” Vanilla looked at the Robian. “Shorty…”

“It wouldn’t have worked on me anyway,” said Shortfuse. “I had what I found out was NIDS, so I’d have bit the dust by now if I was changed back. Honestly I like myself better this way.”

“But enough about us,” said Porker. “Where’s Cream? We’ve seen her grow over the years but not since the Phantom Ruby War.”

“Yeah,” said Johnny. “I can’t wait to for to finally introduce myself to her…”

“Johnny,” Vanilla said grasping his hands. “There are somethings about Cream I have to tell you about first. Cream’s fine but she went through a few things in the past couple of days you need to know…”


 

Geoffrey and Hershey felt sunlight coming through the window, they woke up then knowing it was time to get to work. When they got here yesterday, they found enough preserved food to last a few days but to stay long term they had to become farmers. Now while they like every other Freedom Fighter and refugee that hid during the Robotnick Regime had experience gardening as a matter of survival they still needed to know what they had to work with.

“There’s a village nearby where we can buy seeds, almanacs and any tools we might have to replace,” said Geoffrey. “But if they find out who we are…”

“Witchcart taught me an illusion spell,” said Hershey. “I’ll show you how to use it then if we keep our time there brief, we can get what we need without her or Naugus finding us.”

“Wonderful, but today we’re going to take full stock of the place, see what we have to work with and what kinds of crops we can maintain. I’d like the place where we’re going to raise our children to be just perfect.”

“Raise our children?” asked Hershey. “I know Mammoth said to start a family, but I don’t think he meant it literally, just to live out our lives.”

Geoffrey looked sullen. “So, you don’t want children?”

“I…don’t know. I never actually thought about it before. You want to be a father?”

“When Mammoth said that it made me think. When I was young, I looked up to my father and all I wanted was to be just like him. I thought I lost any chance at that after what I did but maybe if I become a father, at least I can make sure the next St. Johns can live up to the family name. Don’t you want to pass a legacy like your mother’s?”

“She did inspire me, but I used to think I always let her down.” Hershey then smiled. “But following in her footsteps in guiding the next generation, I can’t think of a better thing to dedicate myself to. Having a child is going to be a lot of work, but it also sounds so fulfilling and it’s not like we have any other responsibilities anymore. Ok, let’s do it! I’m not in heat yet but once I am…”

Geoffery gave her a deep kiss. “I promise you once we settle in, I’ll make this place the best home our baby could ever have!”

“Our baby, just the words make me feel so… elated.”

Geoffery started to head out the door “Then I’ll leave you here to think about our baby while I go take stock the tool shed and check the soil for…”

Before he could finish Geoffrey was shot onto the living room table by a jet of water.

“Geoffery!” Hershey yelled as she checked on her husband.

Geoffery coughed up some water and looked at the door. “How, how did you find our hideout?!”

Lucian stood in the door; his eyes glowing aqua as Amy materialized her hammer behind him. “Your hideout?! IT’S MY HOUSE!!”


 

Nicole stirred from her sleep, the first actual time she had to do so. Shard had complained a lot about the limitations of these bodies he felt they were trapped in and while she was more accepting of Mobians’ physical needs from her time with them she had to admit to Shard that becoming tired and needing to remove waste from her new body were not the most pleasant things. Of course, the whole situation would be more bearable if they weren’t locked up onboard the Colossus and the foul-tasting slop their captors gave them as their first meal as Mobians could only be defined as food in broadest possible sense.

“Shard, are you awake?”

The hedgehog with the yellow streak groaned. “Now I am. I don’t suppose you figured out a way we can stop Viktor from using those gene bombs from here, have you?”

Nicole sighed. “No, I haven’t. If I could access the Robotnick’s network I might be able to sabotage those bombs and plant a virus that could wipe any system that would try making these things again, even in this body I could write the program in about half an hour instead of a few seconds.”

“And the only thing keeping you from doing so is a physical lock on the door and the certain chance that Viktor had already changed the password on his systems.”

“Then I better get you both out while I can,” Hope said as she leapt down from a ceiling vent on the other side of the door. “I managed to snag Snively’s spare key card from behind a photo he has of Regina, I still can’t imagine what she sees in him.”

Hope swiped the card opening the door.

“Thanks Hope,” Nicole said with a nod. “Still getting to a terminal is going to take some sort of diversion for me to do my work.”

The lights on the ship all changed to a dull red, Hope looked surprised. “Why the emergency lighting? I disabled both the alarm and put the cameras in this room on a repeating loop before I came in.”

Soon the whole room seemed to shake, just as Phage’s voice came over the PA. “All hands general quarters, we are under attack!”

Shard grinned. “I think we have our diversion! Looks like the Freedom Fighters got your message!”

“Then we better get to a terminal so I can code the virus and hope Sonic keeps Viktor busy long enough for us to us it!”


Up on the bridge of the Colossus Viktor’s eyes were already black as he glared at the GUN battleship off their port side. “How did they know where and how to target us?!”

Lilith was looking over the shoulder of one of the robots manning the ship’s controls. “They hit the shielding on our port side, shield integrity reduced to seventy-seven percent. My guess they somehow found out how to detect the heat from the engines and adjusted from there.”

“My half-sister no doubt,” grumbled Snivley.

“Come about and target their bridge and engine room,” roared Viktor. “Launch the aviator swats, blow them out of the sky!”


As the Colossus started to turn Sally allowed herself a smile. “He took the bait! Sonic are you and Shadow ready down there?”

“I’m already revving in place just tell me when to gun it!”

“In that case Tails prepare to get us out there! Antione as soon as we get a clear shot fire the Sonic Power Cannon!”

“Roger!” both the Fox and Coyote said.

“Letter of Gabriel we’re moving into position.”

“Whatever you’re doing make it fast,” Amanda Tower said. “We’ve already took a few hits; we’ll have to disengage and make repairs at the nearest base.”

“Understood, Tails now!”

The Sky Patrol came out from behind the Letter of Gabriel where they were hidden from the Colossus’ radar. As the battleship began to away Tails moved the ship to dodge enemy fire and avoid crashing into the GUN jet fighters returning from their sorties.

Antione had his eyes glued on the display in front of him. “Cible verrouillée… feu! (Target locked…Fire!)”


The blue projectile spun through air after it was launched from the comparatively diminutive vessel. The ship rocked as it slammed into the Colossus.

“Hangar two has sustained heavy damage!” said Phage. “Repair bots sent and…I am losing contact with the neo swats in the area, repair bots are also blinking out!”

“Get me the security cameras in that hangar!” Viktor bellowed. One of the holographic displays began to show a blue blur slamming into the bots in the area. “Sonic!”

Snivley peaked out from under his station. “But how did he…”

“They’re firing again!” yelled Lilith.

A black projectile was shot this time into the hangar and soon a black blur was destroying the hangar interior. “Shadow, does that answer your question Snivley?!”

“They have a gun that fires hedgehogs?!” said Snivley. “I think I want to use my vacation and sick days now…”

“Too late,” said Phage. “The Freedom Fighter ship is already heading for that hangar. Due to damage to our weaponry there we’ll be unable to keep them from boarding.”

“How soon until the gene bombs are in position?!” yelled Victor.

“The first batch will reach their orbital planes in roughly thirty minutes.”

“An eternity as far as Sonic is concerned,” moaned Lilith.

“He’ll try to rescue his little friends first,” said Victor. “All hands prepare to repel borders! Get the Neo Metal Series to pursue! Today is the day my Ascendency rises, the day I prove my superiority over both of my predecessors, and I won’t let anything stop it especially a hedgehog that just lucked out on the chaos power lottery!”


The fight was taken outside of the cottage, Geoffrey was using a prolonged gust to try to push back Lucian’s stream of water. “We just wanted to be left alone! We weren’t going to hurt anyone, just disappear and grow old together!”

“And you thought the best place to do it was where I grew up?! Where Master Charlemagne trained me, where he taught me how use Ixis Magik?! More likely you two are trying to steal our secrets for the Order!”

Hershey set the grass at Lucian’s feet on fire forcing him to disengage. “This is the only place we can be safe from Naugus and Witchcart! It’s more important to us than you!”

“Storming Heart!” Amy shot little pink hearts towards the St. John’s who leapt back before the hearts landed in small explosions. “You could have asked the Freedom Fighters for help! Despite what you might have done wrong we don’t abandon people in need! We beat Naugus before, there’s nothing different about this time!”

“There’s no way out from the pact!” said Geoffrey as electricity crackled in his hands. “Even if you locked them away it would only be a matter of time until they chased after us again. You won’t kill them, and we can’t, so this is our only escape!”

Geoffrey sent a bolt of lightning at Lucian, the Tenrec responded by throwing a huge icicle like spear at the skunk. Suddenly a large wall of stone erupted from the ground between them and took both attacks. Everyone turned and spotted the source of the spell.

“Fiona?!” Amy gasped.

Fiona looked like she was crying, but she also had an expression Amy saw her have when she was with Scourge, one that just seethed anger.

“Stop it! This fight is meaningless, the real enemy has been right under our noses the entire time!”

“Fiona, I don’t understand,” said Lucian. “What enemy?”

“I know what you’re getting at,” said Geoffrey. “But Hershey and I escaped here, we have nothing to do with this enemy.”

“No!” Fiona snarled. “You didn’t escape at all, your masters herded you here!”

“But Mammoth gave us this place to embarrass Naugus and Witchcart. As bad as he is, he keeps his word. Since Lord Specter used it as a hideout it’s well warded.”

“No Master Charlemagne set up the wards,” said Lucian. “I don’t know how he found out about it, but Mammoth lied to you!”

“You’re both right, and both wrong,” said Fiona. “The lie is more simple and subtle then that. It was only once I got my memories of my lost time on Moebius with Scourge and pieced them together with my experiences afterward that I realized the truth.  A horrible truth that I wish with all my heart wasn’t so but one that I can no longer deny after all the trust and forgiveness everyone has given me.”

Memories echoed in the vixen’s head, fitting together like pieces of a Jigsaw puzzle.

Fiona was keeping an ear out as Mammoth’s master was giving him instructions. “Remember Master Mogul above all else the vixen who betrayed the Freedom Fighters must be brought back unharmed. She has a great destiny to play in the Grand Design.”

After she brought her parents back from the brink of death with her newfound power the Overlander gave a tired smile. “Your whole life, your suffering, your crimes, your friendships, and your betrayals were all for a purpose. You have a great destiny ahead of you and it’s time to take the next step and become the Ixis Witch you were always meant to be.”

“Don’t worry about what happens to her after tomorrow Mogul, she will fill out the Grand Design out of the desires of her own heart.”

She was asked out of the blue to cure the one person who once had everything she was denied, someone she once hated with a passion. She didn’t just feel unready but unworthy, but he just gave her that same tired smile. “You don’t give yourself enough credit and more importantly much as the princess needs to be restored you know in your heart you need just as badly to be the one to do it.”

As much as she didn’t want to admit it, she couldn’t avoid seeing his kindly face, before it was obscured by the mask which proceeded to laugh at her. She knew they all needed to know.

“Master Charlemagne and Lord Specter are one and the same.”

“WHAT?!” yelled Lucian. “That’s crazy! How can you say that about the man who reopened your closed off heart?! The man who practically raised me, it’s disrespectful!”

“Try impossible!” said Hershey. “The day before yesterday we all saw Charlemagne when Lord Specter captured him and took the purple emerald! He can’t be in two places at once!”

“Split image,” Amy squeaked out. “Master Charlemagne taught me the split image spell, if he needed to be in two places, he could make a copy of himself that would be indistinguishable from the real thing.”

Lucian was shocked. “Amy, you believe this claptrap?! I mean she said it herself two days ago, he’d have to know about somethings beforehand like me being on Malada Island to get any of this to work!”

“Like you can from seeing the future?” said Fiona.

“That’s different, for me it’s an inborn psychic ability and I can only look into the near future, this would need days, weeks, months, heck even years of advance knowledge to pull it off.”

“Silver and Gold’s interloper,” said Amy. “What if somehow Specter is connected the future they are trying to prevent, the one where Mobius is ruled by a totalitarian regime that was out to conquer the galaxy?”

“If he is then he’s well on his way,” said Fiona. “As soon as he recovered and abdicated, he was named an advisor to the Council and has the overwhelming support of them and the king, he might be able to wield even greater power from behind the throne.”

Lucian felt weak in the knees. “This doesn’t sound at all like the man who has been like a father to me.”

“I don’t want to believe it either,” said Amy. “But if we want to clear his name, we have to ask about all this.”

“Let’s say you’re right about this and Mammoth lied to me and Hershey and sent us here on Lord Specter’s orders,” said Geoffrey. “What would Lord Specter have to gain from it?”

“I don’t know,” sighed Fiona. “But this place isn’t as safe as you thought it’d be, the Freedom Fighters are your only hope now.”

“Tails thinks he found a way to break the pact each of you have,” said Amy. “It means giving up your Ixis Magik, but we found out there’s a chance something called Ixis might be able to control you through it so there’s another reason to go along. We’ve been trying not to use our powers unless we have to, but we might not need it once Sonic and the others stop Robotnick for good.”

Geoffrey started to growl. “But our magic is our only…”

Hershey but a hand on Geoffrey’s shoulder. “Dearest she’s right, about staying here at least. If they can find us, then so can Witchcart and Naugus. We have to turn ourselves in.”

Geoffrey took Hershey’s hand. “But what about our plans, what about the baby we wanted to have?”

“Elias offered to consider exile as a punishment for you rather than prison so we can be together, I wouldn’t mind accepting that myself if it means our baby can live in the Republic one day if they want to. I don’t think we should give up our magic just yet, to protect our baby, but not using it might make it harder for the Order to find us.”

Geoff sighed. “Alright, we’ll go.”

“Mind if we grab a bite to eat first?” asked Amy. “It was a bit of a trip getting here and after that dust up we’ll need some more energy before we start making our way back.”

“We have some dried fruit and other rations in the kitchen,” said Hershey.

“That sounds about right,” said Lucian. “Ok breakfast first, then back to Freedom City.” As the group went inside Lucian noticed an old photo was turned down on a mantle and righted it. It shown Lucian when he was about eight years old laughing with an overlander who looked a few years past his prime. “Master Charlemagne, please don’t let everything we shared just be a pretense to for some twisted scheme for revenge.”


A few gladiator swats ready to unleash a barrage of rockets down the narrow hallway. Big forced his way past the rest of the team and charged the bots just before the rockets fired. Sally and Antione leapt from behind Big and cut down the half dozen troopers behind the gladiators.

“Company coming on our six!” Rouge shouted as she kicked through a few troopers.

“On it, Sugah-bat!” Bunnie then extended her arm to punch holes through the scouts that were speeding up on them.

“Any idea where to find Hope or your AI ally?” Shadow said as he shot through several troopers.

 Tails looked over his portable computer. “If this is like previous Egg Carriers then I have the approximate positions of both the brig and the closest primary terminal to it and launched our attack as close as I safely could to them.”

“I brought a replacement handheld for Nicole,” said Rotor. “Once we locate her on the ship’s systems and get her in it then we’ll find out how Robotnick’s going to deploy these gene bombs and from that the best way to stop them.”

“A bold plan,” Viktor said over the PA system. “But one that will prove futile!”

“Figures Robotnick would be watching us!” snarled Silver and he used telekinesis to tear a locked door from its frame.

After he used several homing attacks to take out more Neo Swats Sonic growled. “If you’re so keen on chatting why don’t you come down here and do it face to face Mr. Perfect?!”

“As much as I’d like to even the score with you, I’m won’t be so foolish as to expose myself to attack without any benefit to myself.”

“That just shows how cowardly and lonely you are Viktor,” said Sally. “Unlike you I’m willing to take risks because I know my friends will be there to catch me when I fall.”

“You think you can overcome my intellect with simple numbers? Right when I am on the verge of proving myself the better of both Ivo Robotnick and Dr. Eggman?”

Cream found the nearest camera and looked straight into it. “It’s not about numbers, it’s about the bonds we share! I was told your whole story. Created to be exactly like a man who did very bad things, living in constant fear that if he ever found that you weren’t, you’d be wiped away like you saw so many others were.”  Her eyes started tearing up. “But he’s gone now, you don’t have to be like him anymore. I think Robotnick and Eggman made so many machines because they were lonely, just like you are lonely. If you really want to prove you’re better than both them do the one thing neither was willing to do. Give up, stop hurting people and let us save you from yourself. Then once you’ve shown you’re really sorry then I’m sure you’ll have lots of friends and you’ll never be lonely again.”

“Is…is it really that simple?” Viktor’s voice seemed softer than usual. “To be surpass my predecessors I just have to do the opposite of everything I was made to do. I don’t have to surround myself with mindless drones that don’t feel sympathy, that can’t think beyond their programming, that don’t…”

Suddenly a pair of heavy doors fell shut sealing the hallway, a powerful sucking sound permeated the corridor.

“…need oxygen!” Viktor laughed.

A set of missiles popped out of Omega’s shoulders. “Neither do I!” The missiles fired and blew apart the door ahead. “Barricade to ally survival eradicated. Continuing mission to neutralize Robotnick threat.”

As everyone else gasped for air Cream continued to cry. “Why can’t any of them understand? When will we face someone we can convince to just stop fighting? Am I just that naive?”

“No Cream,” Bunnie said calmly. “But not everyone can see when they’re wrong and it takes effort to admit when you are. Don’t give up on that attitude though, we need more folks who think that way not less.”

“As noble that is, we’re pressed for time,” said Knuckles. “We need to get to…”

Suddenly the backpack Knuckles was wearing started to wriggle as a pink echidna mobini climbed out and began to sniff around.

“Julie, what is it?” Julie started to claw at a vent in the floor. “You smell something coming from there?”

“Probably food,” said Rotor.

“Non,” replied Antione. “I’ve spent years in the kitchen, if there was something edible down there I’d know.”

“Wait I hear something,” Rouge said. “Sounds like someone is talking down there… wait a sec, that’s Hope’s voice!”

“Hope!” Shadow shouted. “Can you hear me?!”

“Shadow?!” Hope yelled through the vent. “I was hoping it was you or the Freedom Fighters that was responsible for this attack.”

“The rest of us are here too,” said Sally. “And we’re glad you managed to escape.”

“Well I can still use you your help. Nicole’s almost got the system password and we can write a virus to keep Viktor from activating the gene bombs but if we access the schematic files again it will alert the whole ship to our location.”

“Hang on, I’ll make a path for us to get to you.” Knuckles picked up Julie. “No offense but you’re in no condition to get into a fight. I just need you to hold out for a bit longer.” After he put his transformed girlfriend back into the knapsack Knuckles slammed both his fists on the grate and tore a large hole into room with several terminals.

Sally came up to Nicole and a black and yellow hedgehog she didn’t recognize. “Don’t worry Nicole, we’ll get you out of Viktor’s systems…”

“I’m already out,” Nicole said. “Robotnick had put my AI and Shard’s into organic bodies and removed the way we could get out of them. We can worry about that later though, right now we’re trying to finish up the virus we’ll need to stop these bombs.”

“How does it work?” asked Rotor. “Tails and I could help you two, then if we split the coding it’ll be that much faster.”

Nicole nodded. “The bombs themselves aren’t really that much more than a delivery system, shockwaves created by high altitude explosions spread trillions of nanites that are programed to change identified DNA sequences to whatever template they’ve been preprogramed with. Since these nanites can rearrange matter they can change cybernetics into organic material as part of the process and they’re so small they can pass through the gaps between particles so no structure would offer any protection. This virus must wipe clean any system that has the nanite schematic, that way even if Viktor has memorized how to make these, he’d have to build the infrastructure to do so by scratch and we could just plant it all over again.”

“What about the disasters that happened?” said Tails.

Nicole’s eyes widened at the now taller fox. “What happened to…”

“Long story, but for now try to prevent the worst from happening just in case.”

“Well from Snivley’s notes the nanites programming was messed up because the world had a big influx of chaos energy when it never saw it before, not something that can happen twice.”

“One less thing to worry about, but it also means there’s nothing holding Robotnick back from using them,” said Rouge.

“Then we all better get to work!” Sonic turned to Tails, Rotor, Nicole and Hope. “You just be sure to get a copy of those gene bomb plans, Knux is going to need them to get the Echidna back to normal after Masquerade used one of his spares to test Mr. Perfect’s new toys. We’ll buy you all the time you need!”

“So, will I,” said Shard. “I might not be a literal fighting machine anymore, but I still remember enough to hold my own!”

“Sonic!” an electronic voice called out. Metal Sonic, the rest of the Neo Metal Series and several neo swats could be seen in the hallway beyond. “You may have won our last bout but now we have the home field advantage!”

Sonic kicked three neo swats destroying them. “As if I’d let a bunch of tin cans like you prevent me from proposing to Sal!”

Sally turned to Sonic while she was halfway through cutting a neo swat in half. “Wait, propose?!”

Sonic looked nervous as her moved to Sally’s side while keeping his eyes on the fight. “I said that out loud?”

“Sonic!” Sally blocked a blow with her ring blade. “Are you asking me to marry you now?!”

Sonic was darting between Metal Tails tail spears. “Well last night I got to thinking, I spent a year trying to get you back. I mean if after that, that big breakup we once had and everything else we’ve been through if we got through all that then we might as well tie the knot.”

Sally dodged Metal Amy’s hammer “And you thought the best time to do it was while we were engaged in mortal combat?!”

Sonic and his doppelganger were trading blows. “Well I wanted to ask you when I found you on the bridge this morning, but you fell asleep and I could tell you needed it, so I left you alone!” Sonic bounced off Metal Knuckles’ head. “It just came out! I didn’t think you’d say no because of a slip of the tongue!”

Sally kicked Metal Sonic away and stepped right up to the original’s face. “I’m saying yes, you idiot! I just would have appreciated it if it wasn’t when our lives were in danger!”

“Wait you mean it?!”

“What we have, it’s been the best thing that has come out of all hardship we’ve had to endure since this journey began. Even if this is going to be our last mission as Freedom Fighters, I want us to just keep going. So yes Sonic, I will marry you.”

The two moved in to kiss each other just before Shadow kicked Metal Sonic out of the way. “As wonderful a time as you’re having, perhaps we should focus on stopping Robotnick’s doomsday weapon?”

“Right,” Sally turned to those still coding. “How are you doing?”

Tails took a space at one of the terminals and put a drive into it. “I got the plans, now we just have to compile the virus and…”

Suddenly every monitor not in use displayed a news feed. “And now the assembled leaders of the nations of Mobius have begun to sign the accords,” said an offscreen newscaster.

Hope looked confused. “Viktor should know we’re planning something here, why would he want us to see this?”

“The whole world is watching it!” said Sally. “Robotnick is about to make his move, you need to hurry!”

“And now King Acorn is signing one of the last two signatures alongside United Federation President Michael Whitmore, and there it is! The Mobian Accord have been signed and a new age of peace and…”

The signal suddenly changed to show the dragon winged gear with a lightning bolt of the Robotnick Ascendency.


Amy was showing the same image to everyone gathered around the table in the cabin on the portable terminal Tails invented.

“People of Mobius,” Viktor said on the terminal as the image changed to show him to his audience directly. “I am introducing myself to the world at large for the first time. I am Viktor Robotnick, the ultimate synthesis of artificial intelligence, cybernetics and genetic engineering as well as the leader of the Robotnick Ascendency, the power that shall rule this planet from now until the end of time.”

“Looks like the Freedom Fighters won’t be able to protect us after all,” said Geoffrey. “Not with him about to keep their hands full.”

“I believe in Sonic,” said Amy. “He’s never let us down when it mattered, why should it be any different with whatever plan Viktor needed to shoot us all with DNA for an echidna mating bond for?”


Everyone in the council rotunda saw Robotnick on large monitors overhead as whispers of concern and fright spread.

“I will make my demands simple, the unconditional surrender of every government in the world within the next seven days or else your nations, your civilizations and all the people who make them up will be consigned to the ash heap of history!”

As everyone continued to worry Commander Tower came up to president Whitmore. “He’s bluffing, there’s no way he can do that with just one battleship.”

“We can’t underestimate Robotnick!” said Pythagoras. “Where’s Charlemagne, we need his consul!”

Max looked to the floor ashamed. “You were right Little Bean, why were we all fool enough not to listen?”

Blaze kept her eyes focused on the screen. {Silver, how close are you to completing your mission?}

{Getting there,} Blaze heard Silver say in her mind. {But according to Tails coding a polymorphic overwriting computer virus, whatever that is, that can bypass the defenses of Robotnick’s network isn’t a fast thing to do even with four people working on it at once. We’re making sure they can do it, but this was always going to be close.}

{We’ll try to help where we can,} Blaze heard Gold say. {You keep it up and if you have a chance let Big know I’m ok. Back in that last attack he protected me, I want to give him a chance soultouch or not.}

{Can do.}

{We all have our jobs,} Blaze thought. {Let’s make sure that the future is sent down the right path.}


“Now many of you will no doubt be skeptical of my ability to accomplish this, but I can carry out my threat because I control a weapon that changed this world’s destiny forever and now it will do so again for me! I have revived the Xorda gene bomb!”

“Think you have one more scrap left in you Nilly?” asked Techno as she and the rest of the wild bunch was watching from the rabbit’s home.

“I would if I had to,” said Vanilla. “But I don’t think any of us can help right now.”

“Our daughter is going after him,” said Johnny. “She might be bigger than I thought she’d be, but I watched you long enough to see she’s gentle but she’s also tough. I know you believe in her and so do I.”


“And to prove my intent I am going to give you a limited target demonstration. Lilith can you please explain while I go make final preparations?”

“Of course, Viktor,” Lilith said as she appeared on the screen. “I am Lilith Robotnick. Like Viktor, I am also an AI in a cybernetically and genetically enhanced clone body, we like to think of ourselves as the final step in human evolution, Homo Perfectus if you will.”

“Well they both have Robotnick’s ego down,” said Vector.

Espio turned to the pink chameleon. “Liza since there’s a chance we might fall victim to this there’s something I have to say. I’m sorry I lied to you and the other chameleons of Rainbow Valley. It was on the Bride’s orders, but I regret it all the same. Seeing how far your training has brought you I just want to say whatever happens I’m proud of what you’ve accomplished, and I hope you can forgive me.”

Liza touched her horn to Espio’s . “You were able to save us; you earned my forgiveness a long time ago. My forgiveness and my heart as well.”


“Our version of the gene bomb is an orbital weapon. Our manufacturing and deployment capabilities have allowed us to set up a constellation of twenty-four gene bomb satellites in six orbital planes with four bombs a plane that each completes two orbits every twenty-four hours. They are arranged in a manner that any one location on Mobius will be under the influence of at least four bombs so up we can lose almost eighty percent of the network at once while still ensuring global coverage at best.”

In the head office at Casino Night zone Breezie the Hedgehog hit the top number on her speed dial and got her boss’ voice mail. “Mr. Mogul I’d hate to interrupt whatever it is you’re doing but we have bit of a crisis going on, so call back as soon as possible!”


“Each satellite can be replaced, and the network reestablished within minutes. In short we have a weapon that is impossible to defend against and unmatched in scope.”

“I’m done here!” said Rotor as he kept typing at his terminal. “Sending you my portion to compile now!”

“I just finished too!” said Tails.

“Me too!” said Hope.

Nicole nodded. “Once I finish compiling this virus, we just have to break the password into Viktor’s systems. I wish I could still hook up to it, I can’t go through all the…”

“Withdrawing from battle to assist in this endeavor will ensure eradication of Robotnick forces,” Omega said as he came into the room. “I shall provide assistance.” Omega shot a wire from his wrist to the main terminal. “Accessing systems, engaging digital warfare protocols…”

“Someone trying to poke around where they shouldn’t?” came a voice from the terminal. “At least you brought me a snack!”

“Phage!” Nicole shouted. “Omega watch out!”

Jolts of electricity ran up the wire and back to Omega. “Warning, hostile software detected in systems. Moving all operations to security protocols. Ineffective, initiating emergency anti-malware purge and reboot routine. Good night for good, intruder!”

“ARGH!” the electricity seemed to shoot back across the wire just before Omega pulled it back before slumping over his optics turning off. “That was too close, I barely have enough of my program left to prevent remote access!”

Tails growled. “Great, how do we get into their systems now!?”

In the video feed a console beeped. “Now it is time for our demonstration,” said Lilith. “Viktor my darling, who are the poor unfortunate souls who are going to find themselves our first official victims?”

“Oh, I had already picked a target that will give us a tactical advantage,” Viktor chuckled an image of him in and elevator appeared on the screen.

Sonic winced that he wasn’t fast enough to save whoever Robotnick was going devolve but promised himself that he’d get them back to normal too. One look at Sally and he could tell that she was thinking the same thing.

Suddenly the two of them and everyone other than Hope and the robots fell to their knees as their bodies were wracked in immense pain. The metal series and the few surviving neo swats stopped attacking.

“He’s hit us?!” Bunnie said as her mechanical limbs seemed like they were changing to flesh and fur. Sonic would have sworn that they were being de-roboticized if he didn’t know they were replacements.

“Please someone help!” Cream cried as her clothes started to look loose on her. Cheese hugged her looking panicked.

“Froggy, I don’t feel so good!” Big groaned as his little buddy looked at him with worry.

“Afterall,” Viktor said as he came out of a nearby elevator. “What better way to showcase our power to the world than by showing them all the Hero of Mobius as he’s reduced to a harmless idiotic critter.”

“You set a trap for us,” Sally grunted, barely able to keep her jacket on her frame. “You led us here to use us, make everyone afraid.”

“Having you here is just a bonus. I guess you’re already starting to lose your intelligence, or you might have noticed that Hope Kintobor and myself are unaffected.”

“Hope, take…” Nicole said reaching a hand to the overlander girl. Suddenly she dropped the drive in her hand as it started to look more like a paw, and she yowled like a wounded wildcat. Hope quickly picked the drive up and stashed it in her pocket before Metal Sonic grabbed her.

Viktor started to chuckle. “When I said the demonstration was on a limited target, I didn’t mean geographically. Like my earlier test it is global in scale but limited it to a single species, mobo sapiens. In other words,” Viktor’s eyes became black and red. “The entire Mobian race!”


In the council rotunda panic was in full swing as the various delegates and attendees screamed and moan as their bodies started to change. “Megan, Alexis” Elias groaned as he checked on his wife and daughter.

“My babies,” Megan said as she held a screaming infant one hand and the other was protecting her stomach. “My babies…”

“Mom, Dad!” Ariel cried, her sister Athena tearing up as Lupe, Lobo, Marcos and Maria were down on their hands and knees. “He’s lying, you’ll be ok right?!”

Lupe fell to her hands and knees. “I, I…AWWWWWWWWOOOOOOO!” In a second Lupe’s husband and biological children began to howl along with her like wounded animals.

“Dear Lord,” President Whitmore gasped as he saw King Max, Queen Alica, the Council of Acorn and their spouses start to change.

“Mr. President we have to get you out of here!” Commander Tower said from behind him.

The president turned looking angry. “You expect me to run while these people are suffering?!”

“I have troops and other personnel who will do all they can for the Mobians. But protocol is clear, in the event of an attack my duty is to get you to a secure location!”

The president’s face sank as he was led away. “Is anywhere secure from a weapon like this?”


In Cream and Vanilla’s house the Wild Bunch writhed on the ground as they groaned, squealed, squawked or yowled in pain, except for one.

“Shorty,” Vanilla cried her incisors appearing to be bigger on her shrinking body than they were before. “Go, get help.”

“If only this was a problem I could punch away!” yelled the robian squirrel. “Alright, but only because there’s no one to run from!”

Shortfuse ran out the door and jetted off. He looked around at the chaos in the streets. “Cream, I hope you’re doing better than we are kiddo!”


On Angel Island the Chaotix found themselves doubling over.

Charmy felt his size changing power activating against his will, despite his best efforts he couldn’t make himself grow back to normal size. He looked up and saw the devolved Fiancée looking at him with deep concern. “Saffron… I promise… you won’t… be alone...”

Saffron made a worried noise.


In Charlemagne’s cabin the assembled mages could barely stand. “Sonic,” Amy said with tears in her eyes as her dress started to fall off her shoulders. “Please help us!”

“No, not again!” cried Fiona moaned as she felt her teeth start to become more pointed. “I can’t see this again!”

Geoffrey and Hershey looked at each other’s hands as their claws became more pronounced. Lucian was on his hands and knees as looked up to the picture he set back up on the mantle. “Master, why? Did you help do this to us?”


Viktor was looking over Freedom Fighters as their transformations continued. Knuckles fell on his stomach as Julie slipped out of the backpack again. As he reached out to her, he found the spikes on his hands had grown and seemed to be merging with his fingers, looking at Julie’s claws there was a growing resemblance. “Together…forever…” Knuckles said as Julie nuzzled him.

{Blaze, Gold,} Silver said through his mental link. {I don’t know if we can keep this up, it’s getting hard to think.}

{I can hear everyone’s thoughts,} Gold replied. {Such pain, but now it’s becoming simpler. Can’t concentrate.}

{Did we mess up?} thought Blaze. {Is this going to be our future now?}

Silver tried to remember the mission, but everything was getting fuzzy. {Don’t…know.}

Viktor eyes were blue and dispassionate. “Nothing personal, but this was best tactical move. Mobians make up somewhere between eighty and ninety percent of the sapient population of the planet, with so many potential threats removed I can take military and manufacturing facilities with little resistance while I let the rest ponder my ultimatum. Even in the unlikely event GUN finds a way to protect humans and overlanders from the gene bomb they will be spread too thin to respond to every attack, the United Federation will have no choice but to surrender.”

Shadow saw Rouge shrieking as the wings on her back started to shrivel while her arms began to take the shape of new ones. He turned his attention on Victor and formed a small amount of yellow energy in his palm, while clutching his head with his other hand. “CHAOS…THINGIE!”

The bolt of energy seemed to weaken as it flew, by the time it hit Robotnick it was the size of a miniature pencil and merely made him lose his balance for a second.

“Ugh, that stung. Looks like your chaos powers are devolving along with the rest of you.”

Viktor knelt next to Sonic, whose gloves slipped off his hands as he stepped out of his now oversized shoes. “For years my predecessors had struggled to put an end to your constant attempts to bring down their empires to no avail. I succeeded where they failed in four days. Me, the defect! I’m better than Ivo, better than Eggman and most importantly better than you! And I just proved it!”

Sonic looked pained and confused. “Guh?”

“You probably didn’t understand that,” Viktor made a big circle motion. “WOOORLD…” he then pointed at himself. “MIIIIIINNNNE…” he then pointed at Sonic. “YOOOOOOOU…” he finished with a thumbs down. “LOOOSSE. I don’t think I can dumb it down more than that without giving this body permanent brain damage.”

Sonic turned and saw a female chipmunk that like him was the size of most mobini, they looked at each other recognizing something familiar but neither could place from where. In fact, he got that feeling from several other mobini in the hallway but something about the chipmunk was different, different and good.

Viktor turned to his robots. “Escort miss Kintobor back to her cell and have the E-series put in storage until we can rewrite his programming. As for all these creatures have them and their belongings collected and brought to the hot lab, I have an experiment I’ll need every one of them for.” Viktor bent over and picked up Sonic’s signature footwear. “I can’t think of a more fitting trophy, I might even have them bronzed.”

Viktor chuckled to himself as the little animals were put into small cages.


Around Mobius, from Freedom City to Angel Island, from Mercia to Mystic Jungle and from Artika to Downunda every single Mobian on the planet they took their name from had been transformed into Mobini. The edifices of their civilization made no sense to them, their memories blurry and impossible to understand, but they went about their instincts to look for food, though for reasons no one could explain the ideas of possibly preying on former Mobians never occurred to them. Those left behind, humans, overlanders, robots and in one case a robian all had their hands full trying to keep the devolved populace from unwittingly hurting themselves all while Robotnick’s weeklong ultimatum hung over their heads.

But outside a cottage some distance away from Freedom City other moves were being made.

“And that’s the last one,” Regina said as she closed the door on the cage that now kept a vixen mobini. “If you didn’t say not to harm them, I’d hit her for biting me! Not to mention getting sprayed by the skunk, even after that removal spell I still feel like I need a bath!”

“Patience Ferrum,” Specter said. “We require them for the Grand Design."

“I can’t believe they’re going to be our five elite since they’ve been reduced to dumb animals. How was Viktor devolving the mobians conducive to the Grand Design again?”

“It gives us a window of opportunity. Robotnick’s victory is not as complete as it appears. Once Witchcart has collected the item I sent her to acquire and you fetch Masters Mogul and Naugus all we need to do is wait until the seven days have almost expired, then the rite may be performed. Until then we’ll make sure our future elites are well cared for while they are in their devolved state.”

“And what if Viktor realizes we’ve been using him? Our wards won’t fool him forever and I’d rather not harm my Snivley.”

“They will not discover our true intentions until it is too late, provided we leave behind no evidence.”

Specter conjured a fireball in his hand then turned from Regina and shot it in a stream at the cottage’s roof. The flames started to quickly spread.

Regina looked impressed. “Lord Specter, I was under the impression you hid here for years. You’re able to just burn it down just like that? No sentiments at all?”

“This place has served its purpose in the Grand Design, it is not needed anymore.” Specter then turned and opened his palm. “Zone Gate.” A portal appeared nearby as the archmagi levitated the cages holding Amy, Lucian, Geoffrey, Hershey and Fiona. “Come Master Ferrum, there are still preparations to be made.”

The Ixis wizards left with the Mobini the portal closing behind them. Inside the cottage the fire continued to spread. On the mantle a photo of an older overlander smiling with a laughing Tenrec boy still stood as the flames came to claim it, the corner with the Overlander was the first touched by the fire, the balding man’s kindly face was burned away.

Chapter 13: Mobini, Mo Problems

Summary:

As the transformed populous of Mobius are blissfully unaware of the dangers that surround them Robotnick nears total world domination, those left behind struggle to restore those who've been lost, Specter's origins are revealed and a bizarre battle leads to a fateful decision.

Chapter Text

The little blue hedgehog stirred from his sleep then began to groom his quills. Once his stomach grumbled, the blue hedgehog peeked out of his burrow and noticed it was another sunny day. He noticed everyone else was coming out of their burrows, nests or wherever else they’d made their home. There were three other hedgehogs like himself, a couple of rabbits, a pair of echidnas, a fox with two tails, a bat, a cat, a frog, a coyote, a miniature walrus, a lynx and a chipmunk. Of course, the little blue hedgehog didn’t think of them as those sorts of animals, he didn’t know those or any other words. But they could all tell they were friendly enough, even if the black and red one usually acted grumpy for some reason and there was something very different about the frog, and since they were roughly the same size and typically walked on all fours while being able to stand up and grab things with their forepaws they had more in common than not.

Soon two metal things came pushing a flat thing that floated above the ground, everyone could smell it before they saw it.

“Feeding time,” said one of the robots that none of the Mobini understood. All they were interested in was what was on the cart. The robots began to take the small bowls off the cart and placed them on the ground nearby. As soon as a bowl was laid down one of the Mobini claimed it and began eating the pellets in them eagerly filling their bellies. After eating their fill instead of just taking the empty bowls and leaving the robots took out some round things from a square thing on the cart. The Mobini squeaked and yipped in delight as the robots threw the balls and they chased after them. To them nothing was better than a meal then some play, usually they just chased each other or tried to hide while someone went looking but this was something new and already there were lots of things to do with balls that just came to mind.

The little blue hedgehog squeaked happily, today looked to just as good as yesterday which was as good as the day before which… none of them could remember further than that, he started to wonder if they’ve always lived here. The sight of the chipmunk pushing the ball to him made his discomfort slip from his mind, he pushed back as the two started a game with no score or rules, just the joy of play.


 

Snively yawned as he looked on at the scene through the hidden camera, the data the sensors hidden in the balls were displaying on other monitors. He did admit it was impressive that Robotnick was able to set up this simulated environment so quickly but for the past week his job was to watch the now devolved intruders, compare their activities to regular Mobini and document any physiological abnormalities. The end goal was to be able to pacify organic batteries or the roboticized by having their minds interact with a virtual environment and giving them the illusion of that their bodies weren’t being used for physical labor or to power a robotic shell.

 So far it had been very dull, each day was pretty much the same; they’d wake up, eat and drink from the provided stream, frolic, frolic some more, take a nap, more frolicking, eat again, go to sleep and in the morning repeat and on top of everything else he had to look after the Chao they were keeping in a cage in his observation room. From what Snively could gather every other devolved Mobian did the same thing down on the surface with the addition of avoiding predators, and with human and overlander volunteers hastily making mobian towns into sanctuaries predators weren’t an issue for most of them. It seemed they all shared the same infantile existence.

Snively decided to investigate the biodata the ball sensors were giving back then hopefully he could find out how to call Regina during his break. He read off the genetic data divided by species as it was compared to the original genomes Eggman had on file to check the alteration percentages. Hedgehog, rabbit, echidna…

Snively’s eyes widened as he stumbled to hit the intercom. “Doctor Robotnick, you may want to come down to the hot lab and take a look at this!”

“Snively I’m about to remind the governments of the United Federation that they have less than twenty-four hours to surrender before they and their people become Australopithecus, while incorporating the new factories and bases the metal series and neo swats have taken over, all this while Phage is running a cyber-attack on the entire infonet. What could be so urgent that I come myself!?”

“I don’t think Specter gave us his only gene bomb!”

“…Don’t move a muscle until I get there!”

Fortunately for Snively Viktor was very prompt, he looked over the data Snively highlighted with black and red eyes. “Julie-Su, a member of the Chaotix and perennial thorn in Eggman’s side who disappeared almost a year ago around the same time her half-sister Grandmaster Lien-Da did, only now she’s in our hot lab running around in circles with her boyfriend as they mindlessly chase each other. What is she doing in there?”

“I checked the security footage of the Freedom Fighter raid last week. Knuckles brought her with him, only she was already devolved. Judging from her bio data it happened almost a month ago from her perspective, but the presence of particles indigenous to the Twilight Cage indicates it could have been as far back as four months in our time.”

“During the Phantom Ruby War, before Regina contacted Eggman about the gene bomb derelict she claims she found. I knew they had an ulterior motive, but I let Specter go on his way because I didn’t have proof it was to act against me. But if he hid one, he might be hiding another outside my control he can use against us.”

Snivley was sweating and tugged at his collar. “You aren’t planning on hurting Regina, are you? She was very afraid of Specter, if anything we should pull a rescue operation!”

“Where? We don’t have the slightest clue as to where Specter and his cabal of sorcerous sycophants’ base is! I want you to come up with a way to find them, they probably are using some sort of spell to mask the energies of the Chaos Emeralds so use our satellite network to look for any location we haven’t taken over yet for a possible hideout.”

“But that could take hours!”

“Then I suggest you get started. As much as I’d like to assign some robots to keep an eye on the petting zoo formerly known as the Freedom Fighters in your place I have them all either keeping this ship in the air or out taking over the world.”

Snviely rubbed his chin. “Well, if they are devolved it should be safe for the new recruits to keep watch over the hot lab.”

Viktor glared at Snively. “What new recruits?”

“Some of your predecessor’s old subordinates came onboard after our victories. I gave them a metallix upgrade and said we’d find something for them to do.” Snively used the intercom again. “You can come in now.”

Viktor’s eyes widened as four gleaming robots came in. “Super Special Sonic Search and Smash Squad plus Crabmeat reporting for duty!”

Viktor turned from the badnicks. “You gave Metallix to them?!”

“They begged me for their old jobs back, we were still shorthanded at the time! The Metallix should improve their abilities to your standards, right?”

Scratch turned his head to an intake on his back that was connected to an extra pair of wings. “Still hadn’t figured out what this is foOOOOOOR!”

Scratch suddenly jetted around the room and crashed into the other badnicks taking them along for the ride all four screaming.

Viktor slapped his forehead. “Snively you idiot! Metallix only improves the hardware, it would take weeks to bring their software from useless to adequate or even mediocre!”

“AHHHH!” the S6 then slammed into a wall.

“Why did I think coming with you three was a good idea?” said Crabmeat.

“Well beggars can’t be choosers.” Viktor then turned to the badnicks. “Against my better judgement I am going to give you a simple task. In the next room are Sonic and his friends, who have been reduced to Mobini who are more simple-minded than you, barely. You are to keep an eye on them and report if they do anything strange; and just report I don’t want them touched and if by some strange circumstance they are going to cause trouble you call for help and NOTHING ELSE! I want you to do a good job, but I won’t hold my breath.”

“You can count us boss!” said Coconuts. “We won’t even blink!”

“Yeah,” said Grounder. “We’ll just pop in and…”

Viktor towered over them. “I don’t want you leaving this room until Snively or I get back! No shenanigans, no harebrained schemes to curry my favor, just watch!” As they started to leave Viktor tapped his sleeve. “Raise the energy shield, that should protect me, Lilith and Snively from the gene bombs if we have to detonate again.”

“But Regina’s still down there!” yelled Snively.

“Something tells me the Order of Ixis have figured out their own form of protection. We’ll have to take more permanent means than de-evolution to deal with them. Whether or not that applies to Regina is up to her and if it should it’s up to you if you join her.”

Snively gulped. “I guess I better take my sweet time then.”


Ariel peaked around a corner and nodded to Athena who returned the gesture. At that moment they came out of the alley and swung their butterfly nets, a second later each had a Mobini mongoose wriggling in them.

“Mina, Ash, we’re sorry that we had to do this,” said Ariel. “But none of you should be out of the park.”

“Duck!”

The two sisters did so as a stream of fire came from a tiny dragon that was tackled to the ground by a robot squirrel a little larger than the girls.

“Ok, I’m sorry I scared you Empress Dulcy!” Shortfuse said. “The professor needs you in the lab to take a blood sample!”

Athena took a cookie out of her pocket and gave it to the mini dragon who started munching away.

“Athena says that should keep her calm until you can bring her to the professor,” said Ariel.

“How do you two do that?” said Shorty. “Never mind, let’s just hope nobody escapes again today. Come by later and we’ll let you know how this turns out.”

The girls came to the improvised fence that was used to herd as much of the devolved population of Freedom City into New Spring Park as possible, most played, snacked or napped without a care in the world. Once they passed by the volunteers who were keeping the gate secure and dropped off the captured Mobini Ariel and Athena went over to four little wolves who were playfully growling while they had a game of tug of war with a couple of sticks.

“Mom, Dad, Maria, Marco…” Athena put a sympathetic hand on Ariel’s shoulder. “You’re right, they’d want us to keep going. The professor will find a way to change them back.” She turned to the wolves again. “We’ll be back soon, Ok?”

The wolves stopped their tug of war long enough to give a yip then went back to their game.

They took Shorty’s advice and went to Chuck’s lab, in addition to the usual equipment, old relics and a comfortable looking sitting area had been added. Mobini were coming in and out or were taking naps at several places throughout. “Hey prof I got your dragon blood!” Shorty said.

“Would you please place it in the centrifuge old chap?” said an older human with large eyebrows, wearing a brown suit and a bow tie. “According to a few tablets I got on my last trip to Vesuvio, the primordial fire that had a mystical influence of the dragons’ origins might just give us a way to reverse the effects of the gene bombs.”

Shorty place a test tube into a machine. “Does this mean you can change everyone back Professor Pickle!?” asked Ariel.

“Not yet,” the professor sighed. “I’ve been spending most of my efforts this week on coming up with a defense against Robotnick’s weapon. It will still take time to see if the analysis can find anything.”

“Time is the one thing we don’t have prof!” said fumed Shorty. “Robotnick said he’ll use the bombs again in seven days if the Federation doesn’t surrender, that was almost a week ago! If we can’t fix this by tomorrow morning…”

“I’m afraid these things can’t be rushed. But the assistance of you three has been invaluable in keeping as many of these poor people as safe as we can, since I sent my assistant to handle things on Angel Island, I’ve been shorthanded. To think I came to Freedom City expecting nothing more than to witness the accord signing followed by discussing the latest scientific discoveries with Professor Charles over tea and cucumber sandwiches.”

“Speaking of which I have some ready for you professor,” in came what looked like red furred mobian fox with violet eyes and long blonde hair pushing a tea cart.

The Professor took a saucer with a teacup before sitting in an easy chair. “Thank you, Fae. It’s uncanny, no matter how many times I see you I keep forgetting you’re an auto-automaton.”

“It’s ok professor, sometimes I forget too.”

A nearby computer chimed as the president of the United Federation appeared on the screen. “Professor, have you made any discoveries about the Xorda attack on Earth that we can use in the current situation? We need some sort of answer, riots are already starting to break out!”

Dillion Pickle put down his tea and sighed. “Unfortunately, Mr. President all I can tell you is that the devices providing the shielding that protected the cities were worn down by time. Not only that from what little I can gather with the Infonet as unstable as it is because of that malevolent malware Phage Robotnick has already increased the size of his army to nearly where Eggman had it at the start of the Phantom Ruby War. Even if we could use the shields from the initial Hidden City project, he could still take each city by force, GUN won’t be able to protect one without compromising the defense of another.”

The president sank into his chair. “There must something, you are the world’s foremost expert on both pre-Federation history and early Mobian civilization!”

“I’m afraid in this case that doesn’t amount to much Mr. President. As loathe as I am to say it, we may have no choice but to surrender unless I can find a way to reverse the gene bombs’ effects and time is running out.”

“Do what you can,” the president moaned. “The leadership of every Federation city-state is going to vote on the matter of surrender, but in a situation like this the vote has to be unanimous or… we’ll just have to accept the same fate as the Mobians.”

The image screen went blank, the overlander girls looked determined. “Well if that the way it’s going be, we’d rather become like our mom, dad, brother and sister than give up,” said Ariel.

“And I’d be scraped before I let this guy touch a hair of my friends’ fur!” said Shortfuse.

“Tails made me more than just another one of Robotnick’s weapons,” said Fae. “I’m not going to waste the free will he gave me by joining Viktor’s forces.”

“The loyalty you all have is inspiring,” said the professor. “But we’re not walloped yet, we’ll exhaust every option up until the last possible moment. But the girls and I can’t do that on an empty stomach so let’s enjoy these sandwiches while the cucumber is still crisp.”

As the organics ate, there was a quiet whine. Fae looked down to see two fox Mobini, one red and one white, rubbing against her legs.

“I’m sorry, I know you can’t understand me and probably have no idea why you’re doing this, but I’m not your daughter. I wanted to meet her, apologize for how my creation made her life so hard and maybe even become friends. I hope we can find where she is so even if the worst happens you can still be a family.”


Volcanoes erupted around the former prison that now served as the Temple of Ixis. In the central chamber the curved table and chairs were cleared away as a large nine-pointed star took the whole floor in front of the monstrous idol with a fire burning within the gaping mouth and hollow eyes. Specter watched as Mammoth and Naugus came forward.

“As you can see, we have returned without killing each other,” said Mammoth. “Though the way he kept arguing with the wizards that make him up I nearly ripped him apart to keep them from arguing.”

Naugus growled. “My lord, if you would be so kind as to provide me a remedy for this situation…”

“It can wait Master Naugus,” said Specter. “We only need one thing before we can begin the ritual, Witchcart do you have it?”

The Crone came forward and presented a large grey ring with a green orb attached. “Stolen straight from Sonic’s home, the former focus of Light Gaia, though it’s power has been depleted.”

“It will make a fitting vessel for the Essence of Earth, but that can wait until later.” Specter floated the ring to the hand on the idol opposite of the crystal encased flaming eye. “Now the Grand Design demands we must perform the ritual. I have taught you the words, now it is time to invoke to power of the god Ixis to begin the Ixis Resurgence!”

The dark wizards each took a place at four of the nine points while Specter remained in the center and spread his hands before the idol.

“Great Ixis, we call upon you! Reshape nature as it is to a form of our need! By the Hidden Names we invoke your power!”

Mammoth stretched his arms towards the idol. “Chattur’gha.” Red light filled the star at his feet.

Regina followed suit. “Ulyaoth.” Blue light mixed with the red.

“Xel’lotath,” said Witchcart as green light joined the other two.

“Mantorok,” said Nagus. Purple completed the mix as the lights alternated.

“The first step is done,” said Specter. “Bring them into the circle.”

Each mage took a cage or two near them where inside each a Mobini was peacefully dreaming. After shaking each one awake, they emptied the cages onto the floor within the Nonagram. At first the Mobini; a tenrec, a fox, a skunk, a cat and a pink hedgehog; started to play, but a few moments later they stopped and yowled out in pain. Their bodies grew and their limbs reshaped themselves.

As this was happening the little pink hedgehog’s head began to be filled with something familiar to it, words, memories, ideas. One word became clear, Amy, it was her name, she knew what a name was, then came other names. She clutched her head with her reacquired hands, what was once muddied beyond recognition was now clear as day.  This was what she was born as, what was supposed to be, what all her friends were supposed to be, before it was all taken away.

Amy looked around, she saw that she and the others were restored to their Mobian forms, completely unclothed but that was nowhere near as concerning as the Ixis masters that surrounded them.

“Welcome back my apprentice,” Naugus said with a smirk. “Tell me, did you, your wife and your new friends here all enjoy your vacation on a lower rung of the evolutionary ladder?”

Geoffery was still gazing at his hands. “I’m…me again. How…?”

“It is at Lord Specter’s will that you have been restored,” cackled Witchcart. “Now you may serve at his command.”

 “No, never again!” said Hershey as she turned to leave the circle. “I’ll never…ARGH!”

The moment her hand crossed boundary it started to change back to a Mobini’s paw. She pulled it back and it changed back to normal.

“I’m afraid that you can all only remain Mobian within the bounds of the Star of Ixis,” said Mammoth. “And even this is temporary.”

“Then why change us back at all?!” shouted Amy.

Specter spread his arms out to draw their attention. “Because with your power added to our own we can extend the spell to the rest of the world, it won’t restore their bodies but it will give your friends on the Colossus just enough of their minds back to be able to truly undo what has been done. The alignment of the cosmos that permits us to do this will not occur again for several millennia and if left in your Mobini forms for too long then even if your physical bodies are restored your personalities would as if a creature that was a Mobini all its life suddenly became Mobian, nothing of the original ‘you’ would be left. This is your one chance to save your people and yourselves.”

Geoffrey growled. “First you help Robotnick, now you’re turning against him?”

“Viktor’s role in the Grand Design has passed, leaving him in power now would only complicate things. It is as I told you, it was inevitable that you would join us to avoid dire consequences. I’d say the end of your species other than Mammoth and Naugus and the conquest of the world by a man obsessed with proving his supposed perfection qualifies as dire consequences.”

“Only because you gave him the means to do it!” snarled Fiona. “You, you miserable conniving backstabber!”

“That’s the pot calling the cauldron black,” said Regina.

“I’m not doing anything until I know the truth!” yelled Lucian. “Is what Fiona said true?! Are you Master Charlemagne!? TELL ME!!”

“Why tell, when I can show?” Specter pulled down the hood of his robe showing his mask was attached to another skintight hood. He reached up and grabbed the metal mask and after pulling it loose exposed the face of the former Overlord which had a smirk like that of the days of his rule.

Lucian fell to his knees. “It was all a lie, those years we spent together, I thought I knew what having a family was like…”

Fiona picked the Tenrec up. “Lucian, I thought the same thing. I made all the wrong choices and was given a chance to turn everything around. When I learned the truth at first I thought I was right before, that I couldn’t count on anyone but myself, but I realized you encouraging me, my parents still loving me in spite of what I did, everyone deciding to give me yet another chance I never deserved, that wasn’t a lie. I won’t go back to who I was even if the man who allowed me to change for the better did so only so he could get his precious revenge!”

“Ah Fiona,” Specter chuckled. “You have realized so much about me, yet you still understand so little. This was never about revenge.”

“Then what was it about?!” yelled Amy. “Why are you doing this?!”

“Yes, you all need to know now to carry out your part in the Grand Design. Imagine if you will the leader of a people who craved resources, who sacrificed many soldiers to maintain their way of life, only to lose it all to some rodent they called a king. His people banished, his nation fracturing he fell into a deep depression and left those he had failed behind. Beaten and broken he wandered Mobius until a year later, just before Ivo Robotnick betrayed the Mobians as he betrayed the overlanders for the same desire for power, the former Overlord stumbled upon a tomb left from the Forgotten War, the tomb of an Ixis Witch. Within he found two things that would change his life forever, a Tome of Ixis and an iron mask. But little did he know the mask wasn’t just a mere costume piece but a phylactery, a conduit that can allow a soul to inhabit the body of the one who touched it, and the moment he did Charlemagne became my vessel.”

“Your vessel?” said Amy as she felt a shiver come up her spine. “What are you talking about?”

“Charlemagne is simply a host, “said Regina. “Lord Specter is an immortal spirit who inhabits the former Overlord’s body.”

“For twenty millennia I have wandered this planet,” said Specter. “When I was sent to this world by the void god Ixis, the civilization of the ‘old world’ was still quite young. I have been priests, warriors, philosophers, explorers, merchants, scientists and rulers. As nations rose and fell, I worked to carry out my master’s Grand Design, until the Xorda came and a new world arose from the old. But I saw what was coming and had already laid the groundwork for my revival, thousands of years later an Ixis Witch who had more curiosity about how her world came to be than any other Mobian of her day had discovered where I had slept and she became my first vessel of your kind.”

“Yes, Morgana was always one of my favorites,” said Mammoth. “The main reason I agreed to come out of retirement to work with Specter was because I gave Morgana, or rather Specter, my word that I’d support their ambitions. I thought when she died that I could never fulfill that obligation, but when he came with her mask and told me secrets only Morgana knew, well I keep my word even if it takes ten thousand years.”

“When Morgana was laid to rest, I waited in the tomb until the day I knew another would come. With Charlemagne as my vessel I knew the vital moments of the Grand Design were fast approaching, the key players now existed so I began over the next twelve years to set your roles. But something unusual happened in my favor, to my host’s surprise while training and raising you Lucian he came to care about you. In time he saw you as the son he never had, it made shaping you so much easier that I made use of the split image spell to let him handle the task while I worked elsewhere, reminding him that if he opposed the Grand Design I could keep him from seeing you.”

Lucian suddenly formed a sharp icicle-like sword and thrusted its edge at Specter’s neck. “Release him, now!”

Specter laughed. “Or what, you’ll cut off his head? A little counterproductive isn’t it?”

Lucian sighed. “If you leave Master Charlemagne, you can take me instead.”

“Lucian don’t!” Amy shouted. “We’ll find another way!”

Specter touched the sword’s tip with his finger, it melted away like an ice cube in the summer heat. “A noble, if futile sentiment, your place in the Design is not as my vessel. Besides since we’ve been bonded for years now if I leave Charlemagne for another living vessel he dies.”

“But how did you know about any of us?” said Hershey. “The way you talk about us it’s like you knew what was going to happen with not only the five of us but Sonic, Sally and everyone before any of us were ever born.”

“Now Hershey, you don’t expect me to tell you all of my secrets?”

“This could just be another lie!” shouted Fiona. “How can we be sure this spirit talk isn’t just a way to mess us up?!”

“Perhaps this will convince you,” Specter stumbled as a light seemed to pass from him to the mask in his hand. When he looked up Charlemagne looked ill and sorrowful. “Lucian, Fiona, all of you, I am so sorry. You deserve so much better, but…” suddenly Charlemagne seemed panicked. “You can’t give him what he wants! This Grand Design cannot come to pass! He means to…!”

The light then shot back from the mask back to the man and the sneer returned. “That’s enough out of you for now I think.” Specter fit the mask back over his face and raised the hood of his robe again. “We’ve spent enough time discussing my past, the ritual requires all of us. I will give you the words, but you will need to tap further into Ixis Magik than you ever have before.”

“Exactly what Merlin and Athair warned us not to do,” said Amy. “Forget it, if the only other choice is to spend the rest of my life as a childish Mobini then that’s what I choose.”

“But do you have the right to choose that fate for every other Mobian? Would you all have your friends and family sacrifice everything they are because saving them requires you to do something morally uncomfortable? You’d rather just let your civilization end and hand over the planet to Robotnick than work with us? That sounds rather… selfish of you.”  

Lucian snarled. “That’s what this was all about, wasn’t it? The gene bombs, helping Viktor carry out this…genocide, staging events so the five of us would come together, it was all to force us into a situation where we’d have no choice but to let this Ixis thing corrupt us.”

“Only those who are too afraid or foolish would call it corruption, Ixis merely opens the eyes of those he desires to the truth. Now it is your choice, join us in the ritual or condemn mobiankind to potential extinction. But I already know through the Grand Design what your choice is going to be, so you never had any choice at all.”

Fiona moved to one of the five open points of the star. “If it was just me, I might have even accepted devolving as what I deserved at one point in time, but that part of me knows that this isn’t about what I want or deserve but what I owe. Mom, Dad, Tails, Aunt Rosemary, Uncle Amadeus, Mighty, if I can help them or anyone else, I must do it. So, I’ll walk into the darkness again for their sakes.”

Geoffrey took another point of the star. “I’m no stranger to that road paved with good intentions, I laid my share of the bricks myself. Few questioned my motives, but many questioned my methods, I just told myself it was for the good of the kingdom. Now it’s not just the good of kingdom but the good of everyone. What I’ll do after this will make me even more hated by the people I fought for, but at least they’ll be able to hate me.”

Hershey took another point. “You won’t have to do it alone this time, I’ll walk that road with you. I spent a good deal of my life thinking ‘I wish I never did that’ or ‘if only I was stronger’, but no matter what happens I won’t regret this if it saves everyone. But with the man I love with me, and the rest of you who choose this, I know I can be strong enough.”

Amy took another point. “I have to save my friends, everything the Freedom Fighters worked for can’t end like this.” Amy then had a steely gaze. “But that doesn’t mean I’m turning my back on what being a Freedom Fighter means! I’ll do this ritual but I’m also going to resist Ixis with everything I have! I’m not giving up on who I am, and neither should any of you!”

Fiona, Geoffrey and Hershey nodded at Amy with a look of resolve.

Lucian took the last point of the star. “I’m with you, I’ll save everyone and stay true to myself. This power has been a part of who I am for most of my life and I’ll use it to make my friends and my master proud.”

“Even after everything you’re still are eager to please me,” Specter said amusingly.

Lucian huffed. “Don’t flatter yourself, you might have given Charlemagne the knowledge, but it was his patience and encouragement that burned that knowledge so much more into my mind and that’s why HE will always be my master. You Specter, you’re just a parasite who exploits others for his own gain and one way or another I swear one day you’ll pay for making him and so many others your puppets.”

“You may think that for now, so long as you join us in the ritual. Now accept the words of power and use them to expand the minds of the ones we need.”

The nine Ixis wizards focused on chanting, the words flowing into the minds of Amy and the others as they joined in.

“Bankorok, magomor, tier, santak, narokath, redgormor, nethlek, aretak, antorbok, pargon…”


The little blue hedgehog squeaked cheerfully as everyone just came together for one big game. He eagerly readied himself to hit the ball back to his friends.

Suddenly his head hurt a lot, it started filling with things he didn’t understand. Something was clear however, he remembered being scared in a cage with his friends. There was a man who put them in there and then they were put in this place, but it didn’t seem like he did it to be nice. There were other things that were his head now, but one thing really stuck out.

Sonic. Sonic was a word, a name, his name. He looked at the others and more names came to his head. Many had another word he connected to them, friends. He felt something bad would happen to all of them if he didn’t do something. Sonic tried to use this mouth to make the words, but it was built all wrong and he could just squeak and whine. Still it was better than nothing.

Friends hear, big trouble, bad man, we run,” he thought to himself as he tried to communicate.

The others just stared blankly at him. Why didn’t these words sound like noises he could make? Still he tried again.  The chipmunk, whose name he now remembered was Sally, came up to him. Sonic felt excited that someone understood him.

Sally opened her mouth, let a few leftover pellets from breakfast drop out of her cheek pouches and into her paws then offered them to Sonic.

Sonic growled then knocked the pellets to the ground. “Not Hungry! Big trouble!”

Sally started tearing up then a second later the little chipmunk bawling while everyone stared at Sonic and growled.

“Not cry! I sorry! I sorry!” 

Sonic picked up the pellets and began chewing them. Something was strange about them now. They tasted the same as they did that morning, but now he was trying his best to hide that he couldn’t stand them anymore. As he wondered why this happened, food was just food after all, there was the faint memory of something hot and messy he wanted, but like most things it wasn’t clear.

After Sonic reluctantly swallowed the pellets, he was glad to see Sally had stopped crying. But while the tears were gone there was something suddenly different about her eyes, like there was something a little deeper behind them that shined. Confused she picked up a pellet Sonic missed and put it in her mouth only to spit it back out looking disgusted. She then looked into Sonic’s eyes and started squeaking.

“Sally you know!”

As the others started come closer to the two, they each began getting the same look in each of their eyes. Then they all started yipping, squeaking and squealing. Sonic joined in feeling more confident.

Big trouble, bad man, we fight!”

The confidence however quickly ebbed as he came to yet another realization, he couldn’t understand his friends and they couldn’t understand him. One look at Sally he knew she realized first thing they had to do was figure out how they can communicate when none of them could speak the language their ideas were now coming in.


In the observation room Crabmeat and Coconuts were pushing each other out of the way of their view of the monitor.

“What are they up to?” asked Crabmeat.

“Making noises at each other,” said Scratch as he leaned back in a chair and put his feet on the console. “It’s one of the stupid things Mobini do when we’re not locking them in containment units to use for whatever scheme we had that week.”

“I don’t know,” said Coconuts. “I’m calling the doc anyway.”

“But we’re only supposed to call if they’re doing something strange,” said Grounder. “He’ll be mad if we call and it turns out to be nothing.”

“Relax,” said Scratch. “The new doc’s given us the cushiest job we ever had. We even got sweet upgrades to do basically nothing but goof off. And the best part we can now beat Sonic or any of those other pains in the processor easy now that they’re shrimps.”

“I guess you have a point,” said Coconuts. “I mean it’s not like they do much now they each have a brain the size of a deshelled peanut.”

“Well I’m following the doctor’s orders!” said Crabmeat. “Nothing is going to me distract me from keeping watch on the Freedom Fighters!”

None of the badnicks noticed that just behind them Cheese the Chao had seen in the Mobini Cream the something like the girl he knew. He fiddled with the simple lock and flew out of cage and into the hallway beyond.

“Chaoooooooooo!”

Crabmeat leapt down and opened his claw to a small missile ready to fire. “We got to catch it!”

“But the doc said not to leave the room,” said Grounder. “And we’re supposed to tell him if the Freedom Fighters do anything, not a Chao.”

Crabmeat closed his claw sadly. “But my new net rocket…”

“It’s just one Chao in a giant battleship,” said Scratch. “Nothing to worry over.”

Coconuts laughed. “Yeah what’s it gonna do, cute us to death?”


Cheese flew through the corridors, he had just a general idea about where to go but knew there was someone who could help.  After seeing arrows on the walls with a cage he decided to follow them and they brought him to where he wanted.

Hope came up to the cell door. “Your Cream’s chao Cheese, right? Am I glad to see you! Listen I think I can get everyone back to normal, but I need to get out of here first ok?”

“Chao, chao!”

“I’ll take that as a yes. Thankfully those robots didn’t think to search my pockets.” Hope took her stolen keycard out and slid it under the door “Just put the card through the reader next to the door.”

Cheese flew up and after swiping the card the door opened.

“Thanks Cheese, alright first we have to get Omega up and running again, I saw them take him into a nearby lab when they brought me back here and I worked on him enough times to know that even shut down he took steps to keep himself from having his program altered electronically. With Phage out terrorizing the infonet we should be able to use the virus in the drive Nicole gave me to disable the gene bomb network, after we use them to get every Mobini who used to be Mobian back to normal. I just pray that whatever experiment Viktor planned hasn’t hurt Shadow and the others.”

“Chao! Chao, chao, chao!”

Hope sighed. “I really wish I could understand Chaoese, but your attitude is enough to say that they’re ok for now. In that case let’s get to work!”


Back in Mobini habitat Sonic and the others managed to work out a means of communication by using body language along with their limited vocal range. Their instincts working with their expanded thoughts made them feel like someone was watching them, so they went into a thicket of bushes to come up with a plan.

“Big trouble, what do?” barked Antoine.

“Get out, stop bad man,” said Sonic.

“But he big, he smart,” whimpered Cream. “We not big, we not smart.”

“We many, he not,” squeaked Sally. “Together we win.”

“You right,” Nicole meowed. “Find door, we be free.”

The squeaks and squeals of “Free!” was soon echoed in the group. They then moved out and to the very edge of their world and found the big metal door they were originally brought through.

“What do?” asked Rouge.

Knuckles growled. “We hit door, hit hard!”

“That… smart!” Julie yipped as the others enthusiastically nodded in agreement.

The Mobini charged the door scratching, biting and tackling with all the energy they had. A couple of minutes later they were sprawled on the ground short on breath and with a few bruises.

“Owie,” yowled Big.

“Not work,” said Bunnie. “What do?”

Shadow looked around and found small vent nearby. “Not strong door! Hit that!”

The Mobini had gained a second wind as they attacked the vent but did little more than dent it.

“Wait,” yipped Tails as he felt something working in his head. Went to a loosened screw in the vent’s corner and began to turn it one way with his forepaws then then other once it began to get hard, now it was getting easy. Rotor came up next to him and the miniature walrus began to do the same with the other screw.

Once both screws were completely removed the vent cover fell over to expose the way to the airduct. All the Mobini, including Tails and Rotor, gasped at what considered an act of magic.

“In there!” said Sonic. “Then we free!”


In observation the S6 had been watching everything, Scratch and Grounder insisted they’d never be able to get past the door. But once they started to attack the vent cover Coconuts moved to the intercom.

“That’s it, I’m calling the doc and telling him we got an escape attempt on our hands!”

The cyber simian was about to press the button when it was blown apart by an energy beam.

Omega was standing in the door, the barrel of his forearm blaster smoking. “Enemy reinforcements denied, proceeding to eliminate Robotnick forces.”

“Taste my Metallix fury!” yelled Crabmeat as he fired a rocket from his claw.

The rocket opened to deploy a steel net that covered Omega, who simply pulled it off then tucked his blaster back into his arm. “Enemy threat level measured as minimal, conserving power for actual threats.”

Crabmeat closed his claw sullenly. “You didn’t have to hurt my feelings!”

Omega then spread out his claw like fingers. “Switching to melee combat.”

“Looks like he’s going to hurt more than our feelings,” said Grounder.

“Not in the face!” Scratch screamed as Omega charged.

As the E-series started to tear into the S6 Cheese and Hope entered the observation room. “Great they’re already logged into the system.” Hope went to the terminal and handed her drive to Cheese as she began going through the system. “Hold onto this for now. I can drop the shields from here, just need to find the gene bomb control system and change it from devolving humans and overlanders to evolving transformed Mobini back into Mobians. Once our friends start getting back to normal insert the drive into the slot here and the virus should prevent Viktor from making more gene bombs without having to scrap his entire Ascendancy and going back to square one.”

“Chao!” Cheese nodded.

Hope opened a program that filled up the screen, the sounds of Omega and the S6’s fight continuing behind her. “Let’s see… ah-ha the genetic templates from the last detonation are still in memory. First things first changing them back to before the last use, everyone’s going to keep this enhanced echidna soultouch for now. If we have time, I might do a more precise edit to get them completely back to the way they were…” Hope stopped and gasped at a realization. “…and I can use this to fix the flaw that makes overlanders prone to aggression, we wouldn’t have to keep fighting our instincts to live in peace with Mobians. Not only that this could improve everyone; enhanced strength and intelligence, improved immune systems, immunity to aging; we could do a lot of good with this technology too!”

“Now you see its full potential.”

Hope turned around to see Viktor, Lilith and Snively standing in the doorway with several neo swats behind them. Hope turned to finish her task only to hear blasters charging. Omega quickly moved next to her, the S6 joined the neo swats and the two sides were now in a standoff.

“I imagine this was how the Xorda expanded their empire,” said Viktor. “They were able to reshape entire ecosystems to be more beneficial to agriculture, mining, terraforming or whatever they needed. This is going to be the carrot to my stick, with hours left I will offer the benefits of gene bombs as well as remind them of the consequences of defiance. In the most likely scenario I won’t even need to use them, enough humans and overlanders will seek the benefits of genetic and cybernetic improvements to split the population, chaos will ensue as the United Federation falls into civil war and the Robotnick Ascendancy will be there to pick up the pieces.” Viktor’s eyes became black. “The world will be ours alone!”

“It’s not too late ‘little sister’,” Lilith said to Hope. “You can still join us, have a perfected body like mine and Viktor’s, be free of the raging tempest that has cursed the overlanders to war and short-sighted self-destruction like you’ve always wished for.”

Cheese flew into Hope’s face “Chao, chao! Chao, chao, chao!”

“The chao is correct,” said Omega. “They are merely trying to compromise your mission. Ignore them and finish reprogramming the gene bombs.”

Hope looked at her hands as she started taking a few calming breaths. “The gene bombs can be a tool for good if they’re used responsibly… but given the history of Mobius, it’s a responsibility we’re not ready for yet. Sorry Viktor but the only thing the gene bombs will be used for now is to undo the damage they’ve already done!”

“I don’t think so you little brat,” Snively sneered. “Even with that traitorous tin can acting as cover our neo swats can destroy that terminal before you can finish reprogramming the bombs. I suspect you came up with a way to keep us from using them again and you might even have enough time to carry it out, but only if you’re willing to let all your little friends remain dumb animals forever.”

“It’s my greatest advantage over my predecessors, I plan ahead,” said Viktor. “Even if I lose, I gain something from the effort. There’s no move you can make, no unforeseen circumstance that can…”

Suddenly a banging noise came from the vents above.

“Oh yeah we forgot to tell you,” said Grounder. “The Freedom Fighters were escaping.”

Suddenly the vents opened as several Mobini fell on the unsuspecting villains.

“Vision obscured,” said a Neo Swat who was firing blindly as its visor was covered by Silver. “Unable to target.”

“Get them off me!” Lilith screamed as Sally, Tails, Shard and Knuckles clung to her while Rouge swooped around her head.

Viktor felt a sharp pain on his hand then lifted it to see a little blue hedgehog biting him. “You!”

Sonic blew him a raspberry before jumping to avoid being grabbed. “Snively keep her from activating the gene bombs!” Snively however was curled up on the floor laughing himself to tears. “What’s so funny?!”

“Hahaha! A couple of them crawled into my jacket! Hahaha! They…Hahaha…found where I’m ticklish! HAHAHA!”

“If you want something done right…” Viktor found Omega was busy tearing his neo swats apart and took the chance to make a move towards Hope.

“Reprograming complete, detonating…AH!” Hope was pulled away as robotnick held her in a wristlock.

“You had your chance,” growled Viktor. “Now your lack of logic is going to cost you dearly!”

Sonic and Shadow growled from the control panel.

“Don’t worry about me!” yelled Hope. “The sequence is already complete, just push flashing button to change everyone back!” The two looked confused. “Shadow, Sonic?” She then noticed something was different about their eyes, a certain dull stare. “No, Omega, Cheese!”

“Too many opponents to disengage,” said Omega. “Accelerating attack.”

Cheese tried to fly to the button, suddenly Lilith grabbed him out of the air. “You’re not going anywhere you little pest!”

Hope struggled to break free. “Rouge, Sally, Tails, Nicole, anyone!”

The mobini’s attacks went from simple but clever to feral biting and clawing, they all had the same dull look in their eyes.

“No.”

“Face it,” Viktor said with a cruel laugh. “You’ve lost, Hope.”


Back in the Temple of Ixis the ritual was starting to take its toll on the wizards, even Mammoth and Naugus were struggling to stay on their feet. Amy put everything she had into it.

“Gotha, kadishtu, n'ghft…”

Her concentration started to wane. Suddenly she felt a pain in hand and looked to see it begin to resemble the paw she had for the past week.

“No, not now!”

“Focus on the ritual!” said Specter. “The time of the alignment is nearly expired!”

“They’re not strong enough!” yelled Regina. “We can’t hold it much longer!”

“No!” Amy thought. “Someone, anyone, please help!”

Suddenly it seemed as if the whole room was plunged into darkness illuminated only by Star of Ixis and the idol’s fiery opening. Strangely the light only shown Amy, Lucian, Geoffrey, Hershey and Fiona. The pain Amy felt dulled and he mind was clearer. The light of the idol seemed to get bigger and bigger until the mouth snuffed itself out leaving only the five eyes that now loomed over them.

“Someone, anyone?” said a guttural alien voice. “I’m someone, I could help you.”

“What in the name of the Source?” asked Fiona.

Geoffrey was shaking “It has to be…Ixis.”

“You need power,” said Ixis. “You seek power, I can let you use mine.”

“Where’s Witchcart and the Order?!” asked Hershey. What’s happening?!”

“You’re in the space between heartbeats, once you return, you’ll change back into the mindless beasts you were before. You and all your kind will remain that way forever, but with my power that fate will change.”

“Don’t listen to him!” said Amy. “We can still do this together!”

“You lie to yourself; you know you no longer have the strength. All you need to do is to open the way.”

A purple flame ignited where Specter was standing before the darkness, a strange light glowed at its heart.

“No,” said Lucian. “This was what master was warning us about, we can’t open the door for him into our world!”

“Fools,” Ixis laughed. “The five of you alone do not have the power to free me from this realm. No, open the way for me, into your souls.”

“We…” Fiona sighed. “We have no choice.” Fiona walked towards the flame. “I’ll let him into me, to save my family.”

“No, I’ll do it!!” yelled Geoffrey. “I’m already considered a villain; I have nothing left! You had just been given forgiveness don’t throw it away!”

“Stop both of you!” yelled Hershey. “There has to be another way!”

Fiona and Geoffrey reached into the flame; they could only reach into it a small distance before it forced them out.

“No,” said Ixis. “All, or none.”

“What does that mean?” asked Lucian.

“Geoffrey looked at his hand, no signs of a burn were on it. “He won’t take us, not unless all five of us do so willingly.”

“Then I refuse!” said Amy. “Nobody is sacrificing themselves!”

“But if we don’t,” said Fiona. “Our friends…”

“For better or for worse,” said Hershey as she came up to Geoffrey. “We were together for better, now it’s time for worse.”

The three put their hands back into the fire, with Hershey they were able to go in deeper but still not able to reach the alien light.

“Stop it!” shouted Amy. “If we do this who knows what will happen to us!”

“What will happen,” said Ixis. “Is that your eyes will be opened. You will see the destiny you were all meant to fulfill, a destiny friends and loved ones had sacrificed themselves for you to achieve. Will you let those sacrifices be in vain? Their deaths allowed you to live, will you give up the lives they died for, do their deaths mean nothing?”

Suddenly those who had hands in the flame looked as if they were seeing something other than what was around them.

“T-tommy?” said Fiona. “You saved the Freedom Fighters and I turned around spat in their faces. No, I can’t let them be gone after you saved them!”

“Father?” said Geoffrey. “I understand, you thought I would take care of things back home. I will father, I’ll make you and mother proud.”

“Mommy?” said Hershey. “You left so I would grow up happy and healthy, the children of this world, they deserve the same and I’ll give it to them.”

“Guys!” shouted Lucian. “What are you…?” Suddenly it seemed as if he was looking somewhere else. “Mom, Dad? Amy I was on that boat too. They saw the mine, couldn’t miss it because we were hung on a reef. They only had a basket, sent me back to the island in it. They stayed in the boat so the mine wouldn’t hurt anyone on the island…”

Lucian put his hand into the flame, they were all less than an inch from the light.

“Lucian!” Amy shouted to try to pull him away. “Don’t believe…”

Suddenly she saw it clear as day. A fair maiden pink hedgehog, a princess of Mercia, sister to the king and her husband a dashing hedgehog knight. Then the product of their love, a pink baby girl, it was her. Not long after their home was attacked by the Sheriff, Antione’s brainwashed roboticized father, the knight stood his ground but was cut down. The lady fled with their baby only to be shot, using the last of her strength to get their daughter to safety. Even though she knew the source of this vision she couldn’t deny what she was seeing was true, her parents died so she could live. There was a growing sense within her, if her friends, if every Mobian lost who they were while she just stood aside and joined them, then her parents died would have died for nothing.

“No, MAMA, PAPA!”

Amy plunged her hand into the flame and with the others accepted the light within.


The fuzzy feeling in the little blue hedgehog’s head started to clear again. Once more the words and ideas were coming back. The others seemed to be in the same position as they fell to the floor and Snivley tossed Big and Froggy out of his jacket.

“Push the button!” Hope shouted.

“Push, button.” Sonic thought. Then the meaning of both words came to him, he knew he could push a button. Looking he saw one that was flashing without hesitating jumped on it.

There was a brief sensation of a shockwave then Sonic felt himself wracked with pain, but at the same time he felt more ideas, more memories coming back to him.

“WHAT!??” Viktor stared on dumbfounded.

Sonic was still growing but he looked the scientist square in the eye.

“Hey…Mister Perfect…I’m back…”

“Not for long, I just need the replacement bombs to get into orbit and…ARGH!”

Hope stepped on Viktor’s toes and made a break for the console. Cheese slipped from Lilith’s grasp and threw the drive he was holding to Hope who in one movement caught and jammed into an open port. The gene bomb schematics on display were then wiped away.

“Dr. Robotnick!” Phage called. “Our asteroid factories have self-destructed, and the hot lab’s systems are being wiped! I just managed to isolate the rest of the Colossus but only by erasing all gene bomb data not in the hot lab systems!”

“What’s happening!?” asked Lilith.

Sally got up, noticeably larger than she was before. “Your plan…failed…Viktor…”

Robotnick started stepping back. “Failed??!! How??! I calculated every variable, planned for every contingency! A perfect being like me…”

Hope stood next to the others as they began to get their old bodies back. “News flash! No one’s perfect, least of all you!”

Omega fell back with the others. “Numerical superiority has been acquired, preparing full counterattack.”

“I think that means we have to go!” Snively said as the S6 were already on their way out the door.

Lilith pulled Viktor’s arm and led him out of the room as a heavy shutter came down after them.

“Get back here!” Sonic ran but wasn’t quite able to reach the shutter. “Guess I’m not back to one hundred percent yet.”

Shadow was only able to make a small spark in in his hand. “My Chaos Powers haven’t been fully restored yet either.”

They heard Bunnie groan and turned to see her limbs becoming metallic. “Well, I’d be fine either way now, but I need my cybernetics to survive.”

“Oui, mine as well,” Antione added.

“Same with my back,” said Rotor.

Tails was muttering as he started to stand. “The square of the hypotenuse is the sum of the square of the other two sides, the melting point of aluminum is six-hundred sixty point three two degrees Celsius, The four principles of flight are lift, weight, thrust and drag, I never realized how much I love being smart!”

“Wait,” Knuckles looked around. “Julie!”

“Knuckles!?” the pink echidna with a metal arm and quill came forward.

 “JULIE!” The two hugged each other tightly, they were so overcome with emotion that their pride was completely forgotten as tears of joy flowed freely. “Julie, there were days I thought I’d never see you again.”

“Knuckles, I…I’ve been through so much I…”

“I saw Shade’s journal, I know. And if you still want a wedding, I’ll give you biggest wedding Angel Island has ever seen!”

Julie blushed. “Uh, I don’t know about a big one but yes I will marry you.”

“Froggy!” Big picked up the natural born Mobini who croaked with a smile.

“Good feels all around,” said Silver. “But now have to get out of here.”

Suddenly a sinister laughter came from the PA system. “Oh, I wouldn’t count on any of you leaving!”

Sonic sighed. “And Mr. Perfect has finally cracked.”

“On the contrary, I just realized what my predecessors had wrong about you Sonic. They treated you like an obstacle to be removed or prize to be won, but what you are is a whetstone, a means for me to improve myself and with the ability to move my consciousness to a new body I will just keep improving. Every setback will just make me sharper, eventually I’ll wear you down. I am the curse of you and your insufferable friends, you’ll never be rid of me, the peace you crave for so badly will forever be beyond your reach!”

“Just wait until I’m back to full power,” growled Shadow. “You’ll wish I just threw you into the deepest darkest hole I can find.”

“Oh really? Do you want to know why I call that room and the habitat you were frolicking in the hot lab? Because they’re designed so that if things get hot, if there is chance for quarantine to be broken, I can just do…THIS!”

Suddenly everyone was flung up toward the ceiling.

“What’s he doing to us?!” yelled Cream.

“It’s not us, it’s this lab!” answered Tails. “He’s jettisoned it from The Colossus, it’s in free fall!”

“Calculating from previous recorded altitude and gravitational constant,” said Omega. “Impact in three minutes, at this velocity we will not be able to survive.”

“What options do we have?!” asked Sally.

Omega made some electronic noises. “Error, negative return value.”

Sonic growled. “I think that means our options are limited to ‘go splat when we crash’!”


Viktor looked through a viewport as the hot lab vanished into the clouds below. “This war may go on, but we still have a proper army and we’re in a stronger position than when we started. More importantly I’ve gotten rid of the Freedom Fighters once and for all.”

“And that is how the two of us surpassed our creators,” Lilith said looking satisfied. “We plan so that even when we lose, we win.”

“So, does that mean we get to test our upgrades on some other chumps you want to take over?” asked Coconuts.

Viktor sneered. “No, this means you four are going to be reassigned to janitorial duty for managing to bungle watching a bunch of brainless woodland critters!” He turned to Snively. “And don’t think I’ve forgot you were the one who signed them on! If I didn’t need you to find the Order of Ixis you’d be scrubbing floors right next to…!”

There was a sudden explosion outside and a red and gold blur that zoomed past the viewport.

“Doctor,” Phage said over the intercom. “The Sky Patrol blasted it’s way out of the hangar all on its own! It’s out of weapons range and jetting towards the hot lab!”

“But how?!” quaked Snively.

Viktor simply clenched his fist, his black and red eyes on the aircraft as it passed the cloud layer. “I, HATE, THAT, HEDGEHOOOOOOOOOOOOG!”


The occupants of the Hot Lab suddenly felt a quick succession of sudden jolts then a gradual deceleration before falling to the floor suddenly, but at a survivable speed.

“Somethin’ caught us,” said Bunnie. “Question is what?”

Just then the image of an unclothed pre-school aged Lynx girl appeared on a monitor. “Daddy!”

“Nikki!?” Rotor said moving to the terminal. “How long have we been…?”

“Initial gene bomb detonation seven days ago,” said Omega.

“Something scary happened to Mommy, so I went looking for you!” Nikki said from the computer. “I looked for a long time, learned lots, caught the falling box with the airship and now I found you!”

“You went out onto the infonet alone and took over the Sky Patrol’s systems?!” Rotor scolded. “Nikki that was very, very dangerous!” the walrus then sighed. “But I’m glad you came and saved us.”

“Nikki, can you do the grown-ups a favor and call Uncle Chuck’s lab for us?” asked Sally. “Then find a safe place to set us down and land then we’ll fly the Sky Patrol home.”

“Ok Aunt Sally, gimme a bit!”

As the screen went to the desktop Nicole sighed. “Nikki, you’re going to be a real girl someday.”

“Nicole…” Shard said taking her hand.

“But after spending a week capable of only the most rudimentary thoughts, I think I can live with this.”

Shard smiled. “Well if you can, then I will too.”

The screen then shown an image of Professor Pickle. “Sonic, I should have guessed you were responsible for this. Every Mobini we were observing began evolving back to their old selves and I’ve confirmed with my assistant and the United Federation that this is happening all over the globe, thanks to you.”

“It was a team effort,” said Sonic. “All I did was push a button.”

“Well regardless everyone is now back to normal.”

“Not completely normal,” said Hope. “I had to use the most recent Mobian gene sequence in the database, now every Mobian is carrying a stronger version of the echidna soultouch, permanently this time.”

“So that’s why I didn’t care if anyone saw us being mushy,” said Julie-Su. “Knuckles…”

“I could tell the difference,” Knuckles said. “But right then I just chose NOT to restrain myself.”

“And quite frankly neither is any other Mobian,” said Professor Pickle. “They’re all hugging, dancing and cheering out in the streets in nothing but their birthday suits.”

“Everyone?” asked Tails. “Then that means…” The fox quickly closed his eyes and slapped his hand over them. Soon, Sonic, Sally, Antione, Bunnie, Rotor, Cream and Silver followed suit. Big simply picked up and looked at his amphibian pal.

“What’s wrong?” asked Hope.

“Rouge doesn’t have any fur!” said Sonic.

“I thought you guys didn’t worry that much about being naked.”

“Usually,” said Sally. “But Mobians just don’t tend to think the all bare skin look is very attractive. And no offense Hope but because you don’t have fur, feathers, scales or at least body hair it means to us overlanders and humans do not carry the naked look well at all, especially since you carry your genitalia on the outside!”

“Well mine’s still on the inside,” said Rouge. “And if you weren’t so busy being prudish you could tell there’s nothing to see here.”

The group opened their eyes and saw Rouge was covered in silky white fur which was a bit thicker around her chest. In fact, the only bare spot was a patch around her belly button that was strangely shaped like a heart.

“This is what happens when I’m not able to wax for a whole week, makes slipping past certain places a bit easier.”

“Sounds to me like a frivolous hassle and a big waste of time for such meager gains,” said Shadow as he began to pass her. “Besides, I think this a very good look for you.” He whispered.

Rouge stroked Shadow’s back. “Well, I guess this means I’m done waxing for good.”

“Rouge!” Shadow growled before lowering himself back down to a whisper. “Not in public, I still have a reputation to keep.”

“Have it your way tough guy.”

“Sally, I think the Republic should hold onto this,” Hope passed the drive she used to upload the virus to the princess. “Before I wiped them from the Viktor’s network, I copied the gene bomb plans onto here. Robotnick and the Xorda might have done terrible things with them but while I was setting the gene bombs, I realized they could also do a lot of good if used responsibly. I don’t think either of our peoples are ready for them yet but keep these safe until our grasp can catch up to our reach.”

Sally looked at the drive. “Don’t worry, these will be locked away until we have the wisdom this knowledge needs.”

“I have found our belongings,” said Antione. “Sonic, I believe Zhese are yours.”

The coyote tossed Sonic a familiar pair of sneakers. “My kicks, sweet!” the hero said as he caught them. “NOW everything’s back to normal, how about we celebrate with chili dogs once we get back on the Sky Patrol?”

“You know I think I will take you up on that for once,” said Antione before turning green. “Anything would be better than zhose disgusting pellets we stuffed our faces with when we were imbeciles!”

“All’s well that ends well,” laughed Tails. “Boy Amy is probably going to be so jealous that she missed out on this.”

Silver sighed. {Gold, Blaze, can you hear me?}

{Yes, the mental link’s back,} said Blaze. {It’s good to be my old self again.}

{I’m here too,} said Gold. {But since we’ve all been restored you know what this means.}

{That it’s already happened,} Blaze answered. {We’re one step closer to preserving our existence, but because of it the worst days for the Freedom Fighters are just ahead, days that could shatter the bonds of their friendship forever.}

{And on top of everything else our Interloper was a total no-show,} thought Silver. {Sonic could still be killed at any moment during all of this, we’ll have to be more vigilant than ever. We will save Sonic, even if right now we can’t save the five of them.}


In the Temple of Ixis the entire order had fallen to their knees except for Specter. “Did it work?” asked Mammoth. “Was Mobius returned to normal?”

“Wait,” Naugus flexed his left hand as if expecting something. “My pact with Geoffrey has been broken!”

“My pact with Hershey is gone too!” yelled Witchcart. “What is the meaning of this?!”

“Simple,” said Specter. “One cannot serve two masters and your apprentices have answered a higher calling.”

The five prisoners stood up and began moving toward Specter.

“Now I understand,” said Lucian. “His power, his glory, the truth of this world…”

“…This war we thought was so important,” added Geoffrey. “We were really infants, throwing tantrums over something we should have outgrown long ago…”

“…we lied to ourselves for generations,” said Fiona. “Blind to what our true purpose was, what we were created for…”

“…we have to spread the message,” said Hershey. “Let creation know, free them all from lies of the usurpers…”

Amy knelt before Specter as the others did shortly a second later. “…we will save our friends, our families and our people. To this end we pledge to Ixis our minds, our hearts, our very souls…”

The five then spoke as one. “…forever.”

Specter waved his hand over them, an energy covered them only for an instant later to change into a set what looked like leather clothing. “Rise the Five Elite of the Order, rise the Harbingers of Ixis...”

Hershey stood, her clothes red with a belt buckle showing an upward pointing triangle.

“…Herald of Fire…”

Geoffrey followed; his clothes were green with a triangle like Hershey’s but with a line crossing it at the top.

“…Herald of Air…”

Fiona was yellow with a downward pointing triangle with a line crossing at the bottom.

“…Herald of Earth…”

Lucian was blue with an unadorned downward triangle.

“…Herald of Water…”

Amy finally stood, outfit purple and with a pentagram at the belt.

“…Herald of Chaos…”

“What is your command Lord Specter?” Amy asked as they came to their feet. “What is the will of Ixis?”

“The Ixis Resurgence is to begin immediately, spread the truth as it has been given to you, gather those who will follow but do not return to Freedom City until I command. Do not be dismayed if those you care for will not listen for the when the Elemental War begins, they and all Mobians will embrace that they are the children of Ixis and will spread out onto the cosmos to reclaim his dominion. Then the usurpers, those so-called Chaos Titans, will pay for their insolence and Ixis will rule the universe for all eternity!”

The five elite were engulfed by flame, wind, stone, water, and energy then flew out of the temple. Outside fire plumed forth into the sky, the wind howled, waves crashed, and earth shook. Deep within the Chaos Force the malevolent entity known as Ixis laughed as his Grand Design moved ever closer to his freedom and the end of the rule of mortals.

Chapter 14: The Witch Queen

Summary:

Three weeks have passed since Robotnick's gene bomb plan was thwarted. While Sonic and Sally plan their wedding the Order of Ixis begins to strengthen their influence and a long buried secret of the Acorn royal family is brought to light.

Chapter Text

Sonic left himself slide back on the catwalk. After coming to a stop, he looked up and saw Neo Metal Sonic returning the glare.

“This won’t be like our last encounter on the Colossus,” the robot doppelganger said. “I’ve upgraded my software and improved my hardware’s capabilities.”

“You were there?” Sonic quipped. “I just remember proposing to Sally while keeping bots at bay, then we were devolved, and I guess we just forgot about you when our brains turned to mush.”

“I’ll turn your WHOLE BODY into mush!” Metal rocketed forward and Sonic boosted to meet him, on impact they ricocheted off each other and Sonic hung off a pipe while Metal’s claw dug into the wall behind him. “I have studied all of your previous battles. I can predict any move you can make!”

“Then how about something I’ve been working on?”

Sonic began to focus. “Ok, if Shadow and Knuckles can do this so can I. Just have to let the energy take shape and then release.”

After feeling a spinning sensation in his hand Sonic looked and saw a ring-shaped vortex made of air swirling. He let a smile spread on his face as he leapt up and flung the cyclone towards the robot.

“SONIC WIND!”

The vortex spun as it flew cutting a pipe as it flew near.

“Engaging Black Shield!” a sphere made of black energy appeared around Neo Metal just before Sonic’s attack hit. The cyclone kept hitting the barrier until the winds died. “Did you really think something you never used in combat before would destroy me?”

“Not really,” Sonic said with a smirk. “But it did distract you from Tails and Nicole setting this factory’s reactor to blow.” Klaxons then sounded as alarm lights lit up. “If there’s anything Mr. Perfect wants to keep from here you may want to get it now, I have some friends to pick up.”

Metal clenched his fist as he turned away. “Next time it will take more than a massive explosion to save you from me!”

Sonic turned and tapped the radio headset he was wearing. “I’m on my way, did you get it?”

“Almost,” Tails said from earpiece. “Nicole is still trying to get past the last set of encryptions.”

“No time left, tell her to just grab it and log out. We can crack the code once we take it back to Freedom City.”

“Copy that, I’ll get her out.”

“Good I should get there…” Sonic turned a corner and found Tails and Nicole next to a computer terminal. “…Now.”

Tails went up to the lynx who was wearing a shoulder-less, sleeveless dress with black pants, decorated with a small broach that was glowing green along with similar decorations on her gloves and boots as green holograms hung around her eyes, hands and feet. “Nicole log out, we’re out of time!”

The glow from her jewelry faded away to the same purple as the dress as the holograms vanished. Nicole turned to Tails. “I stored the data in my cyber suit, you and Rotor’s invention passed this test with flying colors.”

“Great,” Sonic said as he grabbed Nicole and Tails by the wrist. “Now let’s blow this joint before the joint blows us!”

He carried the two outside the volcano factory where Tail’s new Tornado was parked, taking off just as the facility exploded.

Sonic while sitting on the wing of the plane turned on one of Tail’s terminals and hit a button, Sally’s face appeared on it. “Scratch one lava powered bot factory. Go ahead and let the people of Traveler’s Rest Village know that their hot springs should be warming back up in a few days and bring back the tourists.”

“Great work,” Sally said over the line. “Did you manage to get the deployment orders to the neo swats that factory was making?

“I have it right here, but it still needs decrypting,” said Nicole. “The virtual interface of the cyber suit isn’t quite the same as actually being in cyberspace, but it lets me work like I used to as a program. It feels great to be able to contribute to the team again.”

“I’m just glad we have a team,” said Tails. “With everything Viktor was able to gain while we were devolved it was either the Freedom Fighters get back to business or he’d start steamrolling all opposition.”

Sally sighed. “I’m glad the Council changed their minds, but now were back to where we were before everything started coming apart a year ago. At this rate I’m afraid the only time we won’t have to fight is when we get so old we can only help by keeping an eye on our grandkids.”

“Speak for yourself,” said Sonic. “I’ll keep bashing badnicks into my eighties, if that’s what it takes.”

“I don’t suppose we’ve heard back from Amy, Lucian and Fiona, yet have we?” asked Tails. “The family went to the opening of Uncle Derrick’s new parlor and while it was big success, we could tell that all they could think of was what happened to my cousin.”

“I’m sorry but they haven’t shown up yet,” said Sally. “When we investigated where Lucian was supposed to be hiding Amy all we could find was the hover bike Fiona barrowed from Nicolette and what looked like a burned down cottage along with the burnt remains of Amy’s communicator, but we haven’t given up on finding them yet.”

“Still can’t believe we haven’t heard from them after all this time,” said Sonic. “Fiona and Lucian weren’t technically Freedom Fighters, but nothing from Amy? That’s not like her.”

Nicole gulped. “You don’t think while they were devolved a predator…”

“No, we have to believe their instincts would keep them safe.”

“In any event we have another job to do when you get back here Sonic,” Sally said from the terminal.

“Great, so what are we doing, taking out another base? Rebuilding a town Mr. Perfect wrecked?”

“No, Father wants the two of us to speak with him about our roles in tomorrow’s Heritage Festival and after that the three of us are going to join Mother and your parents about setting a date for our wedding and getting the arrangements ready.”

Sonic groaned. “Having to wear that stuffy outfit for your dad’s speech is bad enough, but our folks getting involved with every detail of our wedding too, can’t we just elope? I thought we agreed we just wanted a simple ceremony with close friends and family.”

“Sonic I’m a princess and you’re the Hero of Mobius, of course people would make a big deal out of our wedding. Don’t worry I’ll be there with you to put our collective foot down where it matters, and I think you’ll like the engagement ring I got you. See you then.” After blowing a kiss through the monitor Sally cut the connection.

Sonic groaned and hung his head dejectedly, Nicole glared at him. “Don’t tell me you still haven’t gotten her a ring yet? Sonic it’s been almost a month since you proposed!”

“I know, I’ve been looking for the perfect ring! It’s not like I’m hard up for cash but any ring I think is good enough for her is also too expensive for me to afford! Me using my hero status to get a discount or asking my fiancée for a raise so I can buy her a ring just seems scummy to me.”

“If money’s a problem then I’ll chip in,” said Tails. “Cream and I are going to take things slowly, wait until we’re mentally mature as well as physically so expensive gifts can wait.”

Sonic then snapped his fingers. “’Chip in! Tails you’re an even bigger genius than you realize! I already have the perfect ring! The one Chip gave me before he became one with the planet again! I just have to run home, pick it up and give it to Sally, I bet he’d be ok with the idea of me using it like that!”

Nicole smiled. “A bit large for an engagement ring but with what it means and how it’s one of a kind she’s going to love it!”

“Yeah,” said Tails. “It’ll be nice to have a pleasant surprise after all the nasty ones we’ve had lately.”


In the Temple of Ixis the Supreme Council were seated at the table of the idol chamber, from his throne like chair Specter placed his index and middle fingers to his forehead. “Harbingers of Ixis, I hereby summon you.”

Jets of wind, flame, stone, water and energy came from a hole in the ceiling. The landed in front of the throne where they became Amy, Lucian, Fiona, Geoffrey and Hershey who then knelt before him. “My Lord,” said Lucian. “We reached many with Ixis’ truth throughout Mobius as you have instructed us, their presence secret and awaiting our command.”

“Excellent work my disciples, now you are ready to prepare for the Elemental War.”

“We are ready to unleash the elementals on Usurpers’ servants and show them the futility of defying the true god of this world,” said Fiona.

“Herald of Fire, Herald of Chaos, step forward and be touched by the power of Iblis.”

Hershey and Amy stood and spread their arms. “We humbly accept this gift.” With a wave of Specter’s hand, a flame was drawn from the crystal with a fiery eye in the idol’s hand which then flung itself into the cat and hedgehog.

With a single motion Hershey made a wolf like creature made of lava appear but instead of attacking anyone the Iblis Biter let her pet him like he was a mobini dog. “Incredible, I can command it through sheer thought alone.”

“As can the Herald of Chaos, since it is her task to unify the elements.”

“What do the rest of us need to do to prove ourselves worthy?” asked Geoffrey as Hershey dispelled the Biter with a wave of her hand.

Specter motioned to the idol. “You already have, but we need to obtain the essences of Earth, Air and Water before you can control those elementals. Already we possess a vessel to hold the Essence of Earth, we simply need to find a way to fill it. Have your disciples look for any sign as to where these essences can be.”

“Lord Specter,” Regina said at her seat with a bow of her head. “While our elites were devolved, I used information from the Eggnet to find the Water Essence and took it upon myself to retrieve it. But the Black Emerald, or the Ancient Onyx as it was called by the Wolf Pack and Felidae who guarded it, was not there. Most likely they had moved it during the Phantom Ruby War to keep it out of Eggman’s hands before they were brainboxed.”

“I appreciate your initiative Ferrum, but if you had come to me then I would said you needn’t have bothered. The Grand Design will let us find the essences at the moments when it is of most benefit to us, at which point the Supreme Council will collect them discreetly while the elite will indirectly provide the needed diversions. But today I need you to return to Freedom City my elite and spread the message there, but this will be different it is time for you to come out onto the open. At tomorrow’s Heritage Festival you will present a gift to the royal family, one that will shake confidence in the very foundations of the Republic while giving you and your followers legitimacy.”

“What kind of gift?” asked Amy. “We…won’t have to hurt our friends, will we?”

“Mammoth has already prepared the gift, as for your friends who haven’t…” Specter suddenly went into a coughing fit, one so fierce he had to remove his mask exposing Charlemagne’s face.

“My lord, Master!” Lucian cried out.

Specter got out of the chair and leaned over the table gasping for breath. “I’m fine, this body simply needs its usual medicine. I’ll discuss the further details with the Elite in my private chambers, the rest of you are dismissed.”

Naugus stood up from his seat looking angry. “Alright you three, I’ll ask him! My lord if this next step is as important you say it is then shouldn’t the Supreme Council know the details? Especially since we will also be in command of these new Ixis mages and the element…”

Specter made a grasping motion and Naugus then had a pained expression and clutched his chest like he was having a heart attack.

“You will know what I need you to know, when I need you to know it! You will all have your followers when Grand Design needs you to have them and not a second sooner! Am I clear Naugus?!”

As soon as Specter released his grip on the air Naugus took a deep breath as if his heart attack suddenly stopped. “Crystal, my lord,” the mutant gasped.

“Very well, the Council is dismissed.”

The elite took Specter from the room, a moment the later after the rest of the Order left the chambers Mammoth tapped his cane on the stone floor. “If I may have a word with the rest of you, I’d like to share our concerns about Specter and this arrangement we find ourselves in.”

Naugus growled. “Looking for traitors so your old friend will let you make me your mindless lapdog again?! I think not!”

“Morgana was my friend and I gave Specter my promise thinking I was giving it to her. If it weren’t for me needing his power to feed this Ixis Crystal, I’d have considered our contract null and void for making it under false pretenses.”

“So, you want out,” Naugus sneered. “Easier said than done.”

“He promised the rest of you a share in control of the world, but those followers are going to others, aren’t they?”

Regina tapped her chin. “It has been a lot of work with little payoff so far and it does seem like he’s favoring the Five Elite because he got them to believe this Ixis god business, which would give him more control. What are you proposing?”

“That perhaps we should bring the Order back to how I founded it, a guild of those who seek the power to change the world, not some cult of an imprisoned hyper energy organism.”

“I think I may have a way to do that,” cackled Witchcart. “When he sent me to get Light Gaia’s focus, I took the opportunity to look at Charlemagne’s hospital records since the split image would be in the same condition as Charlemagne’s actual body. What I have found made me suspicious and that attack he had back there had confirmed it, Charlemagne’s body can only withstand Specter’s power for so long, he’s dying. Specter will have to move to a new vessel and soon.”

“You mean one of us?” Regina gulped.

“Doubtful,” said Mammoth. “Remember what he told Lucian? Lucian’s place in the Grand Design is not as his vessel, I think Specter has someone specific in mind. If it were one of us, he’d have probably taken that body by now. No, there will be a moment when he’ll have someone else take the mask.”

Naugus grinned wickedly. “At which point he’ll be vulnerable; we just have to wait until the Overlander dies then we either destroy the mask or keep anyone from touching it ever again. Then the Order, it’s followers and the elementals will be mine!”

“Ours,” corrected Regina. “This plan has risks, but the rewards might be beyond imagining.”

“Better than having to play second banana to my former apprentice,” said Witchcart.

“We have to be patient and cautious” said Mammoth. “This little conspiracy cannot spread past the four of us or we risk Specter’s wrath. Until then we have a truce not to move against each other.” At the last part he gave a hard glare at Naugus.

“A truce it is then,” grumbled Naugus.

“We better get back to our own duties for now,” said Regina. “Keep things looking normal.”

After they spread out Witchcart reappeared in front of Naugus. “I have a proposition that can benefit us both.”

Naugus chuckled. “No sooner that we formed our little alliance then you seek to subvert it for your own gain, I like that. You have my attention.”

“The reason I looked into Charlemagne’s health was because Specter asked me to help make him a backup phylactery.”

“And you didn’t think to inform the rest of our little conspiracy because…”

“I prepared the relic; I know enough to make more. We can use those phylacteries to say allow the personalities of those three wizards in your head to inhabit young strong bodies of their own.”

Naugus grinned like a shark. “Witchcart you did something I thought was not possible, you made the four of us come to an agreement.”


“You got to be kidding me!” Sonic yelled as he began tearing his room apart. “It has to be here somewhere!”

Bernadette and Jules came into the room. “Sonic we have to be at the Royal Estate in…What’s going on?”

“I can’t find Chip’s ring! The one I was going to give to Sally as an engagement ring! Sally was going to give me my ring when we got there, if I show up without hers, she’ll kill me! It’s grey, big enough to wear like a bracelet and has a big green orb on it. I kept it with a bunch of other souvenirs from my past adventures and none of the rest of those are missing.”

Bernadette shook her head. “Well I picked this place up while you gone, you’re welcome by the way, and I hadn’t seen anything like that then. Have you looked everywhere?”

“I used my speed to comb over the whole apartment about a dozen times! What am I going to do!?”

Jules sighed left the room and came back a moment later with a gold band with a small diamond. “It’s not going to help with finding your friend’s gift, but we do have your grandmother’s engagement ring. It’s simpler than what you might have wanted for Sally, but since your grandfather worked so hard to buy it when they didn’t have much then it meant the world to Mom. I think she’d want you to give it to the Princess.”

Sonic took the ring. “I guess I wanted to impress Sal with the perfect ring so much I forgot that these rings are supposed to remind us of each other. A big fancy ring might be impressive, but it doesn’t really say ‘Sonic’. A power ring would do if it was a bit more permanent, but this is more my style. I still want to find Chip’s ring, but I can do that after we get through our meeting with King Max.”

As they left Bernie turned to Sonic. “When was the last time you saw Chip’s ring?”

“It must have been…wow, I hadn’t really looked at my souvenirs since the night after Robotnick and the Order of Ixis attacked the city.”

Bernie sighed. “I was afraid of that, after the gene bombs rescue workers trying to gather the devolved citizens pretty much had free run of the whole city. I don’t want to point fingers but one of them might have taken the chance to steal some valuables. I’ll have to have a word with the Federation liaison and the building manager to see if we can ID anyone shady, but if it was stolen the chances of finding it now are pretty slim.”

Sonic didn’t say anything but began to feel unnerved. Something told him if the ring was stolen it wasn’t done randomly, but why would someone want to take it if unless they knew it was connected to Light Gaia and if they knew they would have taken it for reasons other than just money.


On one of the rooftops near the Royal Estate, Gold had her eyes closed in meditation she glanced into the minds of everyone she could sense nearby. Not that there was any guarantee that this would help them find the Interloper, for all she knew they had been trained to resist psychic influences like the Rectifiers were, but to save the future they had to use every tool. She only looked at their surface thoughts long enough to tell they weren’t the who they were looking for before moving on, from a very early age it was stressed that being able to read someone’s mind was not a free pass to invade their privacy.

She cringed at the thought of the man who taught her that not only violated his own code to do something horrible for “the good of Mobius” as he justified it at the time but that he ended up being right, that if it weren’t for what he did none of what they’ve done for the future and the Sol Dimension would have been possible. That if she started thinking like he did of the damage that could result was chilling.

“Penny for your thoughts?” Silver said as he levitated himself to sit next to her.

Gold opened her eyes and smiled. “You could have just used the mental link if you wanted to talk, but I appreciate seeing you face to face.”

“Well given everything we’ve been through we never really had a chance to just be siblings and since there’s nothing we need to be physically there for in the immediate future I’d think it’d be a good time to just…bond.”

“Still getting used to having a sister now that you remember all the timelines you’ve been in?”

“Still getting used to having all those extra memories in general. I’ve been better at it since that incident on the Colossus, but I still wake up sometimes not remembering what history is supposed to be like. Still it’s hard to think I could have forgotten about you or Blaze.”

“How is she anyway? I’d like to have a chance to just talk with her too.”

“I was using the link to check in with her before I got here. She’s grateful that because of the link she can fulfill her duties as princess of the Sol Islands and still be ready to come help us at a moment’s notice and she’s invited us to visit her there once our mission’s complete. From the way she talks about how beautiful they are sounds like a good vacation while we figure out what to do with our lives.”

Gold looked to a park where Rosie was watching the orphans Sasha, Snaggle and Rory play. “Growing up I thought of Blaze as my best friend, practically a sister to both of us, now she’s had this whole life we weren’t a part of. I can’t help but wonder, are we still friends?”

Silver shrugged. “She seems to have accepted her life before the Sol Zone at the very least, she’s not the type to just ignore something about herself.”

Gold hugged herself tight pressing her Sari close to her skin. “Even the burns, hers and…mine?”

“She…hasn’t said anything about it. But even before you left, I thought we all got past that. It was an accident, none of us had control of our powers yet and we were just preschoolers then or would have been if they still had preschools.”

“We still tried to use our powers on each other, all over a stupid doll. If Master hadn’t been there…”

“It was the first real toy any of us had ever seen until then of course you’d fight over it. Only reason I didn’t fight over it was because I thought it was too girly for me and I didn’t want to give the bullies another reason to beat me up.”

“We were considered freaks just because we were chaos adepts. With fewer people chaos powers were even rarer than they are now. Still better than how adepts were treated under the Imperium.”

“I recall in the current timeline we were heavily sheltered, only really seeing the outside world when we had to move to a new hideout. How did you find out about the that?”

“Coming back from that zone I hid with a family of fugitives with an adept girl for a week. Adepts are tracked like everyone, but they were under stricter control.”

“Yeah the moment they realized my psychic abilities those bots went from wanting to arrest me to wanting to kill me.”

“Any crime committed by an adept is treated as much as the next worst class of offense and that’s just the beginning. Every child is tested in the womb, pouch or egg and are sent to special schools at birth, for the first ten years of life they are tested vigorously to determine their power and teach control of them. The parents are only allowed contact once a month to ‘minimize distractions’ and on graduation they are released back into society, but reintegration can be difficult. Those who do abide by the law have their powers restricted by special collars, only allowed to use them when permitted by the Imperium usually for specialized jobs, but then there the rumors about those who go into the schools and just disappear. They say that the exceptionally talented or powerful are put into a secret program and trained to be Rectifiers.”

Silver growled while clenching his fist. “Those guys who killed Edmund.”

“Of course, that’s just one theory as to where they come from. Not every Rectifier is an adept but a good number of them are and those that aren’t have other ways to be on the same level. If one aspect of at least half the rumors are true then following the Imperium’s orders is all they’ve known, I pity them really. But I’m sure once we save Sonic…”

Gold suddenly froze and locked her gaze back on the Royal Estate.

Silver turned the same way. “What’s up?”

“They’re here…Amy and the others.”

Silver sighed. “This is going to be tough, if they’re here for Sonic...”

“I didn’t sense any overt hostility, but we know this ultimately won’t end well for the Freedom Fighters and their friendship.”

Silver clenched his fist again. “And there’s nothing we can do about it.”


Sally grinned at the engagement ring. “Sonic this was so sweet, giving me a family heirloom. Not only that it’s elegant yet simple and unobtrusive, exactly what I wanted.”

“I’m glad you love it,” Sonic inwardly sighing with relief then looked at the simple silver band he now wore. “And the ring you gave me, way past cool.”

“Well as happy as we are for your upcoming nuptials, we have to first address the Heritage Festival,” King Max said with a grin. “Particularly since you are about to become a member of this family Sonic.”

“Isn’t the Heritage Festival supposed to be about recognizing the achievements of every species in the Kingdom, well Republic now.”

Max started leading them to another room. “True, but every family likes to take the chance to show off ancestors who made partially noteworthy achievements. The House of Acorn just happens to have a few more than others.”

They entered a gallery with portraits of the previous kings of the Kingdom of Acorn. “We have had our share of kings who were less than fit, but many more made exemplary contributions.  As a boy I always loved the story of King…”

“Elias?” Sally said suddenly.

King Max turned to his daughter with a laugh. “A nice joke but neither of you were even a gleam in my eye yet.”

“No Father, he’s here.” Sally went over to her brother who was lost looking at one of the portraits. “Elias are you ok? Things with Secret Freedom Fighters going well?”

Elias looked to the others with a start. “Wha? Oh sorry, everything’s fine our ongoing operations to spy on Ascendency forces has been going well, but to be honest I only ever got as good leading them by doing what I’d thought you would Sally.”

“If this is about the Heritage Festival, I wanted to speak to you and Megan separately,” said Max. “Just to streamline things.”

“No, the thing is Megan and I went to see Doctor Rabbot this morning. Megan’s been having checkups to make sure nothing was wrong with the new baby after being devolved and then re-evolved in the womb.”

Max gasped. “There’s nothing wrong with my grandchild is there?”

“The baby is perfectly healthy, to our relief. But Doctor Rabbot accidently slipped something to us as she explained the diagnosis.” Elias had a contented smile. “It’s a boy, I was just looking through the family tree for inspiration for my son’s name.”

The king sighed in relief as Sally hugged her brother. “Congratulations, between Alexis and her little brother I’m sure you and Megan will be able to give Sonic and me quite a few parenting tips,” Sonic gave Sally a surprised look. “Er, whenever we eventually decide to become parents of course.”

 Max clamped Elias’ shoulder. “Well if you’re trying to pick a name our family has an excellent selection to choose from.” He began to point out a few portraits. “As a boy I loved the stories about my grandfather, Sebastian the Worldly, and his many adventures throughout Mobius. Reginald the Romantic, who ushered in perhaps the kingdom’s greatest era of art and culture. Of course, then there is our most prominent ancestor Alexander the Unifier. He accomplished what no one before thought possible and united many Mobian species into one kingdom who named him their first king because they believed he could keep them together.”

“A lot to live up to,” said Elias. “Now I’m afraid of overwhelming the little guy with this big a legacy.”

“Hey if all else fails you can always name him after me,” Sonic laughed.

“Personally, I think Cyrus would be just perfect,” said a familiar sounding voice. Turning around they found Geoffrey and Hershey standing in a doorway wearing green and red leather clothing. Geoffery had a strange smile on his face. “But only because you’re having a son.”

“Maybe when Sally has her first daughter, she and Sonic can name her Morgana,” Hershey said with the same odd smile. “Those names somehow seem to fit the House of Acorn so well.”

Elias stepped right up to the couple. “You both have a lot of nerve, just coming here after what you’ve done. Even when Naugus was removed you chose the Order of Ixis over your country Geoffrey and Hershey you came to Harvey saying you wanted to help us get Geoff out from under Naugus’ thumb but it was all a trick for your real masters. You could both be arrested for treason for those acts alone.”

“Very well then,” Geoffrey clenched his fists lightly and turned his wrists over to the royals. “I surrender go ahead and arrest me, I’ll even waive the pardon Naugus gave me when he was king, that should make your case so airtight you could use it as a spacecraft.”

Hershey came forward offering her wrists in the same way. “That goes for me too, we even waive our right to a trial, so you can just cut to the chase and send us to prison like we deserve.”

Sally sighed. “There was I time I wished for nothing but happiness for you two, but if you’re willing to do this then it’s clear we have to…”

“Say no to you,” Sonic interrupted.

“I beg your pardon?” asked Geoffrey as everyone turned to Sonic surprised.

“We have no idea where Mammoth sent Naugus, he could come back, and even if he doesn’t Witchcart is still out there and can make Hershey do anything she wants. From where I stand the only reason either of you would want something is if either of those creeps who have that pact with you wants it, which is all the reason I need not to give it to you.”

“That…actually makes sense,” said Sally. “But under those circumstances giving them free reign is also a bad idea.”

The intruding couple giggled. “Oh, right the pacts,” said Hershey. “We got rid of them.”

Sally raised an eyebrow. “And how are we supposed to believe you?”

“If you can’t bring yourself to believe them you can believe me,” Amy said as she, Lucian and Fiona came into gallery. “And they are no longer bound to their former masters because something amazing happened to us.”

Sonic was next to Amy in a flash and gave her a hug. “Guys we were so worried about you! Where have you been!? Why haven’t tried to contact us earlier?”

“That’s why we have come here, to explain things to you and to offer a gift to the royal family as part of our contribution to the Heritage Festival tomorrow. If we could move to somewhere more appropriate.”


After everyone moved to the estate’s audience room, with Sonic keeping an eye on Geoffrey and Hershey and they were joined by Merlin Prower. Sally looked to Amy calmly. “I know you have a lot to tell us so let’s start at the beginning. What happened to you after we left to intercept the Colossus?”

The door opened as a balding Overlander came in on a cane. “I just heard my students have returned. I hope I haven’t interrupted anything.”

Lucian smiled. “Not at all master, I was hoping to tell you what happened to us as well. After everyone left on their missions to stop Robotnick Amy and me went to the cottage master and I lived in for most of my life but found a couple of unexpected trespassers in Geoffrey and Hershey.”

“We managed to give the Order of Ixis the slip, which unfortunately now includes Naugus, and hid there,” said Hershey. “We found the place warded and thought we could live our lives away from the world. A fight broke out and in the heat of things I ended up burning the cabin down by accident.”

“Both sides were evenly matched until Fiona came along and tipped the odds in Amy and Lucian’s favor,” said Geoffrey. “They were trying to figure out what to do with the two of us when… Robotnick used the gene bombs.”

“Like most of the planet we spent the next week as baby brained Mobini,” said Fiona. “We were a lot friendlier to each other in that state and lived off what food the woods provided. But seven days later all of that changed.”

“Suddenly there was this light,” Amy said in awe. “It changed us back and then it spoke to us. It said it had the knowledge we could use to save everyone then it was all clear in my mind, a magic ritual we could use to expand the minds of everyone who was changed into Mobini. The Light said that with this you could undo what was done to the world Sonic, so we did it. It was tough there was a moment we faltered, and the spell was starting to fail, but the Light gave us just enough strength to get back long enough for you to do your thing.”

“Wait, you’re saying that spell you did was what made us smart enough to throw a wrench in Mr. Perfect’s plan?” asked Sonic.

“Only because we were all chosen for a higher calling,” said Geoffrey. “And for that our pacts with our former masters were undone.”

 “What sort of ‘higher calling’ are you talking about?” Sally raised an eyebrow then turned to Amy. “Are you saying that…”

Amy took out her Freedom Fighter badge and laid it down on the table in front of her. “One of the reasons I’m here is to tenure my resignation from the Freedom Fighters, effective immediately.”

“I don’t get it, you were so persistent in trying to be a Freedom Fighter, you made yourself older to be one and you were so ecstatic to finally be let onto the team. Now you’re just quitting?”

 “We were shown our true destiny, the way to lasting peace on this world. We spent the last three weeks telling new friends and we have started a little society to spread the message of the Great Illumination.”

“And the Great Illumination is…?” Elias said with a raised eyebrow.

“When all of Mobius opens their hearts to truth of Ixis.”

“Ixis?!” Merlin said moving in front of the five. “Didn’t you heed the warning I gave Sonic?! Has Ixis already corrupted you like he tried to corrupt the Neo Walkers, like he once corrupted Enerjak?!”

“And why do think he’s the evil one, Uncle Merlin?” Fiona said calmly. “Because your new Chaos Titan friends told you he was? We were told about many things, including the Titans.”

“I’m confused,” said Charlemagne. “Who or what are these Chaos Titans? Merlin told me that this Ixis is an evil force and Ixis magic left me open to it, I wasn’t sure I believed him but given the strain it placed on my body I agreed to do so.”

“When Mammoth Mogul discovered Ixis magic he had heard of Ixis’ name but the significance was lost on him Master,” said Lucian. “But Ixis is the architect of creation, the Chaos Titans are outsiders that had made the universe Ixis intended, but their implementation of it is flawed. As a result, existence has been plagued by never ending conflict but once the Great Illumination occurs everyone’s hearts will change for the better and the universe will become the utopia it was always meant to be.”

“Utopia my bushy tail!” spat Merlin. “Ixis tortured us! Drained us of the powers we were given by the Ancient Walkers!”

“Only because you believed the Titans’ lies. They usurped Ixis’ rightful place as the master of the Chaos Force and imprisoned him, then they took the universe he was going to create as their own. You, the Ancient Walkers, and others over the history of Mobius had been unknowingly taking what was his to give. The three of you would still be Neo Walkers, heck Enerjak would have joined the three of you, if you’d all opened yourselves to the truth.”

“I don’t need to dip my finger in ink to know it’s black! We could just feel that Ixis was malevolent, that was why we refused his temptations! The Titans simply welcomed us as fellow protectors!”

“You felt what the Usurpers wanted you to feel,” said Hershey. “That was the lie, it was the Titans who corrupted Enerjack like they would have corrupted you if Ixis hadn’t taken those powers away and caused Enerjak and Aurora to be reborn as innocent unhatched babes. Despite how it may seem to you we’re aren’t threatening you to follow Ixis or be damned. We aren’t forcing others to accept our beliefs; we’re simply telling our message to all who wish to hear to give them hope. For those who don’t believe we simply have faith that when the Great Illumination comes the differences between us will seem so trivial compared to the glory of Ixis that those who had not come to believe before, even the Titans, will accept him and his rule, then creation will be made perfect.”

“When I got that synthetic Phantom Ruby, I fell for the utopia trap,” said Sally. “I also thought I could just make people better and that would solve everything. The problem is that everyone has their own idea for what the perfect world is. You can’t make it perfect for one person without rubbing another the wrong way, trying to make a single solution for everyone is how tyrants are empowered. The best we can hope for is to give people the freedom to make the best possible life for themselves if they’d allow others the same. I’m sorry but I must go with Merlin on this one. Whatever happened to you, whatever Ixis really is, he lied.”

King Max nodded. “I ignored my Little Bean’s intuition and was proven wrong enough times to know that if she feels something is wrong, she’s usually right about it. I believe her and Merlin that this Ixis is dangerous.”

“Just the name was enough to make me doubt this whole scam of yours,” said Elias. “You expect me to believe the Order of Ixis is now just another religion, after they helped Robotnick wreck Freedom City AND give him the gene bomb?”

Geoffrey shrugged. “Specter and his Order of Ixis aren’t affiliated with the Society of the Great Illumination. They simply use Ixis magic they have taken from the Chaos Force, that’s all.”

“I’ll still pass thanks.”

“Overlanders tended to view science as their god,” said Charlemagne. “I personally am not religious in the least, but these past fourteen years I’ve taken a live and let live approach to those who believe in a higher power. If this Great Illumination is what you believe and you aren’t forcing those beliefs on others then I have no problem with it, so long as this Ixis isn’t actively hurting anyone.”

Inwardly Specter smirked to himself. “Staying in the Council’s good graces is well worth this deception, at least until we have obtained the remaining essences.”

“What about you Sonic?” asked Fiona. “What do you think of our story?”

Sonic sighed. “The Chaos Titans…came to me in a dream, gave me a test I passed then rewarded me by having Fiest give me his last Chaos Emerald. If it wasn’t for that I wouldn’t have been able to save Ash from Specter. The Titans told me that an agent of an ancient force was trying to bring ruin to Mobius, that force has got to be Ixis. True they’re are overly enigmatic, and I don’t think any of you are the agent, but my gut tells me the Chaos Titans are the good guys. As for Ixis well I’ve beaten gods before, or things that were considered gods anyway, if he’s what Merlin and Athair say he is the I’ll find a way to stop him.”

Amy simply sighed. “I see, in that case we would like to request that you let us present a history for the Heritage Festival. There are couple of people whose contributions to the Republic’s history are quite frankly innumerable, yet they’ve been completely forgotten by modern scholars. We learned about these people while spreading our message and feel it is important to give them their due.”

Merlin turned to Max with a stern look. “I strongly advise against this, if they are now servants of Ixis we can’t trust anything they offer. We can’t allow evil a foothold.”

The king sighed. “Merlin I am glad the council can turn to you for advice on the mystical.”

Merlin crossed his arms. “I have a feeling your next sentence is going to start with ‘but’.”

“But the Republic’s constitution recognizes the citizens’ rights to both freedom of expression and the free exercise of religion. The Heritage Festival lets everyone hold up an ancestor or hero that inspires them, they must be allowed access to this forum. Denying them just based on suspicion of what could go wrong would set a very dangerous precedent.”

“Merlin,” said Sally. “I know you want to protect us from something horrible, but if we deny the rights of the people to suppress evil then we’re just doing evil’s work for them.”

Merlin sighed. “Well, no one said ensuring the triumph of good would be easy.” He turned back to Amy and the others. “I can see you all sincerely do not intend evil, but the worst evils aren’t always intended. I hope that this path will not lead to your own destruction.”

Fiona took Merlin’s hand. “I know we only really met once before, back when I was with the Freedom Fighters, but I found since then that because of the love your brother had for my father’s sister we were family all along. Even if we disagree on what Ixis is I don’t want it to come to divide this family…Uncle.”

Merlin gave Fiona a hug then left the audience chamber.

“Thank you,” said Lucian. “We also have a gift to mark the occasion, you’ll receive it after we tell the history tomorrow. For now, we’ll make perpetrations and touch base with friends and family. Master, Amy and I have something we’d like to ask you in private.”

“Of course, my own chambers should give the us the privacy we need.” Charlemagne led the hedgehog and tenrec out of the chamber.”

“I have to go talk with my parents,” said Fiona. “They must be worried sick about me.”

“We better see Uncle Mars too,” said Hershey. “It might not be the most pleasant conversation but at the very least we can tell him that whatever happens the two of us are sticking together.”

Geoffrey smiled. “Yes luv, I’m sure we can convince him that you’ve grown far beyond the sick child he was so worried over.”

After the three of them left Elias turned to Sonic. “Are you sure just letting them all go unwatched is a good idea?”

“Oh, they won’t be unwatched,” said Sally. “Charlemagne’s already firmly with us about Ixis and I’m going to give Mars and the Foxes a heads up that while they should watch visiting family that they should still make them feel welcome and just tell us if they notice anything particularly strange.”

“It just feels odd,” Sonic said. “Amy could be flighty, but she was still someone we could trust. Now something’s not right, with any of them. Going behind her back… I just want to talk to her one on one and get to what really happened. But Sally’s right until we figure out what changed and how to get them back, we have to let them think we don’t suspect anything.”

“After this perhaps we should dwell on a happier note before getting into Heritage Festival details,” said King Max. “First off do you have you set a date yet?”

Sally sighed with contentment. “We narrowed it down to a couple of days in spring, the weather should be perfect.”

“Good for you sis,” said Elias. “I can’t imagine the thought process behind that. Me and Megan rushed ours to before Alexis was born, but you managed to arrange one between so many other weddings.”

Sonic gulped as he and Sally looked at each other nervously. “Other weddings?”

“From what I’ve been hearing anyway. Knuckles and Julie-Su, Rotor and Sealia, Mina and Ash, there’s a lot of weddings happening thanks to the soultouch Viktor left us all with. But leave it to my brilliant organizer sister to pick a date that wouldn’t clash with the date of any…”

“We have to make a few calls!” Sally blurted. “Get everybody on the same page, space weddings far enough apart so the guests won’t get fatigued but keep everyone on roughly where they want to be!”

“We also gotta double check to see if anyone else is suddenly getting married!” Sonic added. “We have to figure out if other weddings are happening among the Chaotix, the Downunda Freedom Fighters, the rest of the Artika Freedom Fighters, *gasp* Rosie and Uncle Chuck!”

Max sighed as the couple left to find the nearest communicator. “Looks like we’ll be going over Festival details after all, that is once they deal with this… predicament.”


The next day New Spring Park had been covered in several temporary pavilions, most displayed portraits of historical figures while people dressed in old fashioned clothing relayed their stories and achievements while others provided food and games.

As Cheese flew around her head Cream had taken a bite out of the cotton candy she was carrying. “I’m glad we could do this together Tails. The Heritage Festival makes everyone feel like a kid, so no one bats an eye at us if we have fun like them. It’s a nice break from a month of adjusting to suddenly being a teenager.”

“We deserve it,” said Tails. “With a new war against the Robotnick Ascendancy on top of dealing with these changes, just enjoying the festival with you feels like the perfect first date.” The moment the words left Tails mouth he clamped his hands over it.

Cream blushed so much she almost looked like a tomato. “D-date!? I know Mother and Father were ok with us going off on our own here, but you never said anything about this being a…”

“I-I only thought of it like that just now! We both agreed to take this whole soultouch thing very slowly, wait until our minds matured more before acting on it. I just felt so good about today and I made you feel…!”

Cream dropped the cotton candy as she began to wave her hands, Cheese saved the treat before it hit the ground. “No, it’s not like that! I-I like this, just being together and enjoying each other’s company. If they can be like this I wouldn’t mind going on another date.”

“Really? I mean I wasn’t sure about how go ahead. This whole bonding thing has been thrust on everybody but everyone that’s bonded now seems to be happy with it, not that Viktor meant for this to be permanent, we just… had to deal with a sudden jump through puberty right before that.”

“I still feel more like playing with dolls and skipping rope most of the time but I think I’m slowly getting there, the other night Mother had to scold me because I was playing the music from the Forget-Me-Knots latest album too loud, I almost talked back to her…almost. If what Amy and Lucian went through is typical in a couple of years our minds will have grown almost as much as our bodies so there’s no rush. We’ll just take baby steps and just do this to have fun, then once we’re ready maybe we can just mix in things like… kissing.”

“Ok…If you aren’t ready, I understand,” Tails leaned in closer. “You sure you aren’t ready?”

Cream leaned in as well. “Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps we should try it once, just to see if we are…”

“Hey Tails, Cream!” they both heard from above them. Looking up they saw Charmy flying down towards them with a fully restored Saffron by his side. “It’s been awhile hasn’t it?”

“What are you doing here?” Tails asked shaking Charmy’s hand. “I thought you were helping to build New Echidnaopolis since Viktor leveled Albion to build his primary base for the Eurish region.”

“We got the day off to share the accomplishments of the Golden Hive colony,” Saffron said before turning to the rabbit. “So, you’re Cream. Charmy told me a bit about you and showed me your picture, one before…”

“It’s ok, I’m still getting used to it myself,” Cream giggled.

“Well I’m really glad to make your acqua…” Saffron held her forehead and looked frustrated. “Acqua…”

“Acquaintance?”

Saffron sighed in relief. “That’s it! Me and everyone who was devolved in the Twilight Cage was like that for longer than most, sometimes it gets hard to remember some of the more complicated words but it’s been getting less frequent and most of them we only have trouble that first time. The doctors say it shouldn’t last too much longer.”

“Good for…you,” Cream began to look sullen.

“What’s wrong?” asked Charmy.

Tears started to leak from Cream’s eyes. “Saffron and the Echidna will get back to normal soon, but Sonic’s double from the No-zone had talked to Ms. Sally earlier about what happened. The zone cops can get to Moebius now, but it was already too late the Moebians were transformed for too long they can’t be changed back to their original personalities even if another gene bomb was used. They aren’t as susceptible to the anarchy beryls as Moebini so they’re nicer, but they’ll be that way forever.”

Tails placed a reassuring hand on Cream’s shoulder. “I know there were a lot of good Moebians and they didn’t deserve that, I’m not sure anybody does. But if from what I remember when we were like that, I bet almost all of them are happier now than they had been for their whole lives. I know you rather they’d have chosen to be good on their own, but at least this way Scourge and the Suppression Squad won’t be able to hurt anyone else and no one had to die for it to happen.”

“I know that’s the bright side, but I keep thinking ‘how could Mammoth Mogul agree to do this for Specter’? I know he’s a bad guy, but he didn’t seem to be that kind of bad, that he could be reasoned with at least.”

“As someone he managed to put a spell on, I think I got a good handle on how he thinks. He always thought he was the best person to lead Mobius, either by being the most powerful or the most experienced. He probably told himself he was protecting the world from a proven threat and if he could get whatever Specter promised him on top of that it was the smartest thing to do.

“What I don’t get is why Specter wanted to do that to Moebius and the Nocturnus, mostly because we know so little about the creep. He had the Order of Ixis test the gene bombs but didn’t tell Viktor making him do his own test, Robotnick has taken over a lot of territory thanks to the Order but Specter seemed to make them sit on their hands in response. He went to a lot of trouble to catch Geoffrey and Hershey, yet they seemed to escape him so easily, he’s had the chaos emeralds and the essence of Iblis he stole from Blaze for a month now, but he hasn’t used them. I have a bad feeling when he does make his move it’ll throw us all off guard.”

“Whatever that masked jerk has up his sleeve we’ll face it together!” said Charmy. “After all we went through to get back together, I’ll never let anyone take me and Saffron apart again!”

Saffron took the other’ bee’s hand. “Charmy, you’ve changed again. It’s like when everything’s fine you’re the sweet little goofball I left when Thrash attacked me and Julie, but when things get serious it’s like you’re a more focused version of the hotheaded prince you were before you lost your memories. That’s not a bad thing, if anything this whole mess brought you into balance.”

“You’ve changed too Saffron. You’re still the fun girl that was always there for me, maybe a bit more since you’ve been kind of flirty with me since you got the soultouch, but there’s also this quiet strength that wasn’t there before I lost you. I think we’ve both grown from all this and I can’t wait to see where this growth will take us next.”

A bell rang out over the park.

“The banquet’s about to start,” said Tails. “We all better get to our seats before they get to the histories of the House of Acorn.” He turned to Cream. “So, are we sitting with your family or mine?”

Cream blushed again. “Actually…when I signed us in the computer took note of our actual ages and…we’re sitting a kids’ table.”

“But a food fight always starts at those! Couldn’t we just ask to move to be near one of our families?”

“I don’t see how now it’s starting; I didn’t even know if you could come until yesterday and it was the best I could do on short notice.”

As they flew to get a seat Tails groaned. “Now I know how Amy felt when she was the only one at elementary school who was as tall as the teachers.”


Several tables were arranged in front of a stage on which a mouse actress in a toga knelt and held a crown before a similarly dressed squirrel actor. “Alexander Acorn, your vision had united all of our peoples. As king that vision will keep our newfound harmony strong for the rest of our days.”

“Alexander” took the crown from the actress. “I accept this heavy burden and promise that as long as my family endures, we will protect this peace. For it is only when we trust one another that each of us can show the best of our people and all peoples.”

As the actor put the crown on his head the audience broke out into applause then he and all the players came out to take a bow. The biggest round came from the table where the royal family was sitting as they all enthusiastically clapped, except for one.

“Sonic,” Sally muttered as she continued the applause while wearing a blue gown. “They gave a good performance, be polite.”

The hedgehog tugged at the collar of the old-fashioned uniform complete with epaulettes. “No, they didn’t,” he muttered back. “The ‘king’ up there was looking at his hand in every scene, probably because wrote down his lines in his palm.”

Sally sighed. “Listen I know these formal events aren’t your thing, but it means a lot that you’re trying to show mother and father that you want to be part of this family. I appreciate it and I promise soon I’ll do something to show I want to be a part of your family too.”

Sonic gave a sly smile. “In that case you could come with us to skydive over Icecap zone before snowboarding down the mountain.”

“Sonic it’s not your family that wants to do that; I think it’s just you.”

“Offer’s still on the table.”

A lioness dressed in medieval clothes came on stage holding a scroll. “And now a new piece for this Heritage Festival. Presenting ‘The Lost Tragedy of House Acorn’ as performed by…” the lioness looked confused. “…The Society of the Great Illumination?”

This caused everyone at the royal table to bolt up. “Amy?” said Sonic. “They’re giving their history now?”

“They never said it was about a member of this family,” said Max. “I hope they don’t bring up George the Foolish.”

“More likely it’s Silvanus the Resolute,” said Elias. “George was unfit, but Silvanus was the more controversial one after retaking the Southern Baronies, we still had people arguing over it into the Robotnick Regime.”

Sonic reached out to the king and prince. “It’s still Amy, even if she’s bought into this Ixis stuff she’s still our friend. Besides if she had a problem, she’d reach for her hammer first not a script.”

On stage the curtain rose, Amy stood center stage looking into the crowed as Lucian, Geoffrey, Hershey and Fiona stood in the wings.

“Before the Republic, before the kingdom, the many species had stood divided. Each species made up a tribe that fought over territory with other tribes. These tribes in turn were divided into clans, extended families who fought over territory within the tribe and the power to control it, uniting only to face threats from other tribes. Into this harsh, brutal world a girl was born.”

Those in the wings cast a spell that shown an image to the crowd who gasped in amazement as a little girl that bore an uncanny resemblance to Sally left a hut, the only differences were that she had the tail of a squirrel and she was clothed in only a loin cloth.

“Why are they making her look like me?” asked Sally. “I don’t like where this is going.”

“Maybe it’s just meant as homage,” said Alicia. “I hope.”

“Morgana burned with a curiosity no one else had. She was always asking things like why things were the way they were, where did the world came from. Her elders just told her no one knew and to get her head out of the clouds.

“You see Morgana was the daughter of the clan chief and a promise was made for her to be married to Cyrus, a boy of another clan, when they were both still infants. With this marriage the two clans would cement an alliance that would protect them from stronger clans. Morgana wondered why she had to marry a boy she only met rarely but knew her clan was counting on her, so she did nothing more than ask other questions.”

The image changed to and the girl grew to look exactly like Sally except for her tail and dress.

“Time passed and Morgana grew in beauty and curiosity, as those of other clans came to trade, she’d ask the same questions, but got back the same answers. Then one day misfortune struck when the news came to her that Cyrus and his entire clan were wiped out in a battle with another tribe. Her clan now in a weaker position than ever instead offered her as a bride to the high chieftain of the tribe, a man old enough to be her grandfather and notorious for his cruelty even to his own children and wives.”

“Becoming fearful at her fate and no one able to give a good answer as why such misfortune came upon her Morgana for the first time in her life defied her family and ran away. Then the question that burned most in her mind was why the tribes and clans had to fight, ‘surely’ she thought ‘there must be a place where tribes didn’t fight’. One day she found that place.”

In the image Morgana came on a group of several different Mobians all dressed in purple hooded robes, all of them practicing spells.

“Her whole world changed, not only did she find members of the different tribes working together, but that they were performing wonders she had thought impossible. Eager to be part of this new world she went to their leader.”

Morgana came up to Master Mogul who after a moment smiled.

“Impressed with Morgana’s desire for knowledge the grandmaster made her his apprentice. Under his tutelage she learned the ways of magic showing great talent. But even with her newfound gifts she found herself unsatisfied, she was no closer to knowing how Mobius came to be and more worrying the different tribes of the Order were united only in the name of each member’s own greed. A few years later, her apprenticeship complete, Morgana went out to find her answers once more. But her travels were interrupted when she found the old high chieftain had her clan exterminated for the insult of her spurning him. Depressed at the unfairness of the world when one of her tribe’s old enemies captured her, she didn’t resist or use a single spell and she was made one of their slaves.”

The image had shown Morgana stripped of her witch’s robes and bound in chains only to run into another squirrel in a similar predicament, one who was a dead ringer of Elias.

“What are they planning now?” asked Elias.

“Maybe she’s just using you guys as reference,” said Sonic but deep down he was beginning to wonder.

“But in what she’d later call a miracle Morgana found Cyrus, the boy she was pledged to so long ago, alive but a slave like her. He had grown into a brave warrior, made to fight for his captors’ amusement. With her resolve restored she used her magic so they could both make their escape. Having learned that the old high chieftain had died and the clans were fighting over control of the tribe Morgana and Cyrus came to the conclusion that if they could take control of the tribe they could use it to begin to make Mobius a better place, with the Order of Ixis as allies they could unite the tribes and end conflict forever. But no one would support the last members of clans that were gone, so they started a new clan.”

In the image Cyrus and Morgana gave each other a deep kiss. Queen Alicia fainted at the sight of a couple who looked like her children become romantic, King Max just managed to catch her.

“Elias…” Megan said disturbed.

“It’s not my idea!” the prince defended. “She’s my sister, well not her but…!”

Sonic looked over to the princess. “You ok Sal?”

Sally was looking green. “I think I’m going to be sick.”

In the image Amy had the two pick up the nearest seed. “They would start a family that would unite all Mobians, from the tiny acorn of their love a mighty oak would grow to bring lasting peace. And so was the humble beginning of the First Kingdom of Acorn.”

“First Kingdom!?” said Maximillian as he tried to wake up his wife. “How could there have been a kingdom before Alexander the Unifier!?”

“Well according to Knuckles this seems to have been around the time of the Forgotten War about ten thousand years ago,” Sally said trying to forget the image of what looked like her and her brother kissing. “Most Mobian historical records don’t go back nearly that far, writing wasn’t supposed to have spread that far outside the Echidna until about two thousand years ago.”

The image had changed again to show Cyrus now wearing a feathered headdress and sitting on a simple stone throne with a large sheathed sword, Morgana stood next to him in similar garb with many children at their feet. “Thorough Cyrus’ strength, Morgana’s cunning and help from the Order of Ixis they took leadership of the tribe and began their family. Cyrus made his tribe into a kingdom through his military prowess and merciful terms to his enemies, Morgana promoted learning which in turn allowed their fledgling civilization to develop math, writing, pottery, architecture, metalworking, commerce and more.

The image changed again to show armored soldiers marching while watching on was Cyrus wearing a crown and now sporting a beard and Morgana with her own crown and fine clothes. Both had streaks of grey in their hair and stern expressions.

“But as the Order of Ixis went to war with the Knights of Aurora the First Kingdom of Acorn stood with their allies. But as the war dragged on the king and queen began to change, expanding their kingdom into an empire, pressing more and more of the tribes into fighting the echidna. Morgana came to learn secrets of Mobius that even the knights weren’t aware of, she and Cyrus leveraged this knowledge along with her magic to convince other fledgling nations to join their cause.

The image shown Morgana giving a piece of advanced tech to group of birds who then knelt before her in response.

“Where once they sought power for the sake of spreading unity, now they united others for the sake of power. The lovers had become just as cruel as the world they once sought to change for everyone. Even their romance began to be just another tool to gain influence. But they spread too quickly and too greedily, the knowledge Morgana spread caught the attention of the Knights of Aurora who moved to deprive the Order of Ixis of their strongest ally.”

The image had shown the palace of the first kingdom in flames as a bloodied Morgana and Cyrus embraced each other.

“Cyrus fought back but he was not a young man anymore and he was outnumbered, Morgana tried to protect him but even her best spells were no match for the technology of the knights. Everything they had spent a lifetime building was lost in the space of a single night; the only comfort left was to love each other one last time as they died in the other’s arms.”

The image vanished as the other for stood alongside Amy.

“Their children and grandchildren were stripped of all their wealth and exiled. But the Clan of Acorn remembered a time when Mobians of many tribes were untied as one. Most of the history was eventually lost, but that family after many, many years had reclaimed a legacy that they chased without knowing. But now that their tomb has been rediscovered with this account of their lives the Royal Family can add to their annals the story of those who started it all. The ruler of the First Kingdom whose people called Cyrus the Conqueror and the woman whose dream began everything, the one the people called Morgana the Witch Queen. They fulfilled their dream only to lose it to pride, a lesson we their heirs would do well to heed.”

The five took and bow and quietly left most of the audience stunned into silence. Sonic got out of his seat and went towards the leaving five. “Amy!”

Amy turned to Sonic. “I hope that Sally likes the gift we gave her family, we’ll see each other again real soon.”

Amy and the others were wrapped in elemental energy and flew off.


Later back at the royal gallery the Freedom Fighters taking a close look at its latest addition.

“So, this was just waiting for you when you got back home?” asked Rotor.

“Zhis is fine brushwork,” said Antione. “Who zhey got to paint zhis is classically trained.”

“It’s not all bad Sally Girl,” Bunnie said nervously. “At least they got your good side.”

A new portrait was displayed, depicting Cyrus the Conqueror on his throne his hand on the pommel of a greatsword, at his side was Morgana the Witchqueen with a ball of purple flame floating over her palm. Both had the faces of the prince and princess.

“Father why don’t you take down this eyesore?!” Sally groaned.

Max sighed. “The council was just informed of the discovery of a tomb like the one of Ixis Vale Elias found last year. It seemed to have been looted but the inscriptions and the DNA from the remains confirm that the story the Society of the Great Illumination told was true. As much as George the Foolish was shunned and Silvanus the Resolute is divisive they were still members of this family, we can’t deny that of Cyrus and Morgana despite the tyrants they became.”

The king looked down sullen. “The Kingdom of Acorn, the Republic it became, the legacy that we and our ancestors tried generation after generation to live up to, it was all based on a lie. The myth of Alexander the Unifier, the first to unite the species under a common goal. Only he wasn’t the first, he was unknowingly following in their footsteps.”

Charlemagne stood next to Max. “Someone once told me that myths aren’t stories that are untrue rather they are tales that don’t fit neatly into the historical record which serve as the foundation for a culture, Alexander not being the first doesn’t diminish his accomplishment. The fact he did so peacefully while his ancestors were forced to subjugate their rivals just makes his accomplishment greater than that of Cyrus and Morgana.”

Elias huffed. “Well even if Cyrus is family Megan and I aren’t going to take Geoffrey’s suggestion and name our son after him. We talked a bit and we decided to name him Edward and call him Eddie after Megan’s first husband, Alexis’ biological father.”

“A fitting legacy,” said Sally. “And we’ll make sure Edward grows up in a peaceful world. Still what were Amy and the others trying to accomplish with this? That last line about losing everything to pride was clearly a threat, but to do what? Everyone is shaken by this scandal but it’s not big enough to get people to call for a change in government.”

Elias shrugged. “Maybe they were trying to get us to reconsider joining this Society of theirs in a not so subtle way.”

Sonic sighed. “I don’t know. None of this makes sense, we’re missing something here I can feel it.”

Tails squinted at the painting. “Wait a minute… look at Morgana’s hand!”

“Yes, the reminder that my whole family is descended from an evil Ixis Witch!” fumed Sally.

“No, the other hand there’s something in it!”

Taking a closer look, they found that Morgana was holding something in the fold of her robes.

“I’m no art expert,” said Rotor. “But usually painters don’t add details that obscure unless they’re trying to say something with them.”

Nicole tapped the broach on her cyber suit. “I’ve taken an image of the painting,” she then projected a hologram of the painting from the brooch then began moving her hands to change it. “Alright, let’s crop this section, rotate it, zoom in, adjust the resolution and then assuming this object is symmetrical approximate the rest of it…”

The hologram became a three-dimensional image of something familiar.

Sally narrowed her eyes. “Specter’s mask.”

“They’re trying to warn us,” gasped Bunnie. “That Specter varmint is going to make his move soon.”

“But how would they know? I’m not sure about Lucian but none of the rest of them aren’t painters. They might have conjured it, but the point is that this could only have been made recently. If this is a message, then it shows they’ve been in contact with Specter and the Order of Ixis after the gene bomb crisis. That and how they’re insisting Ixis is some benevolent force the most likely explanation has be…” Sally gave a sigh. “This Society of the Great Illumination under the control of the Order of Ixis.”

Charlemagne was fixed on the hologram. “This is a most disturbing turn of events, I’ll go inform the rest of the council, it would probably be best if they and the Freedom Fighter divisions present in the city conduct an emergency meeting to decide a course of action before relaying it to the rest. We may soon be fighting a war on two fronts.”

“I had you make this portrait Mogul!” Specter thought as he left. “I can still work this to my advantage but we’re going to have a talk about your artistic flourishes!”

Sonic felt like a lead weight had settled in his stomach. “After everything she’s done with us, I still can’t believe we can’t trust Amy anymore.”

“It’s worse than that,” Sally said. “They’ve said they’ve been reaching others, it’s very possible they have supporters pretending to be regular people. Sonic…we can’t trust ANYONE anymore.”


In the Temple of Ixis Specter’s eyes opened from his meditation then he came into the idol chamber where the Five Elite and the Supreme Council were all gathered.

“My lord, I see you don’t have to give your full attention to Freedom City at the moment,” said Lucian. “Does this mean our mission was successful?”

“Successful enough,” said Specter. “You gathered enough followers for to leave further tasks and recruitment to them, the message and gift were delivered, and the Republic government is nervous enough that they’ll make mistakes they can’t afford. The Grand Design has deemed your service for this task merits a reward.”

Specter took out a pair of hourglass shaped bottles from his robes that had a deep pink liquid and handed one to Geoffrey. “Drink half of it then have your wife drink the other half. I think you’ll both find the results, stimulating.”

The skunk bowed. “Thank you, my lord.”

“One bottle for two with three remaining,” said Regina. “Did one of them, displease you my lord?”

“Not at all, but the way this potion works means at present it wouldn’t help Fiona.”

“Why my lord?” Fiona asked. “How am I lacking?”

“It isn’t you who is lacking but the one to whom you’ve made a lasting bond with. If he is not with us, then we cannot trust him with secrets such as this.”

“Mighty? Please my lord, let me go to Angel Island, I’m sure I can get him to see the light and we will serve Ixis together!”

“All in due time, for now be patient my child.” Specter turned to Lucian and Amy. “As for the two of you I think you would want to use that document I had Charlemagne acquire for you before you receive my gift, since I am using his body I can fulfill any legal requirements.”

Lucian gasped. “My lord, in actual years we’re both still children! I mean no disrespect, but wouldn’t the law still not allow it?”

“You are now both adults in mind and in body, you are within the spirit of law even though the letter couldn’t foresee your circumstances. There was a saying in the old world that I think applies in this circumstance, ‘age is nothing but a number’.”

“Then if I would be so bold my lord,” Amy said. “I had a vision of this moment, and even if circumstances would keep my friends from being here, I’d like to fulfill that vision.”

“Be my guest, the Grand Design deems this time to be as you see fit.”

Amy stood and with a gesture the room changed to look like a chapel with stained glass windows. Then her clothing changed to a pure white dress with a veil and a bouquet of flowers appeared in her hand. Then the pews were filled images of everyone Lucian and Amy knew and cared about as the elite and the council took the few remaining seats.

Specter took a place behind a pulpit as Lucian and Amy stood before it. “Dearly beloved, we have gathered here in the presence of almighty Ixis to join this man and this woman in the bonds of holy matrimony. If any present has reason for these two not to be lawfully wed speak now, and face the consequences, or forever hold your peace.”

Specter conjured a rune covered rock then turned to Amy. “Amy Rose, answer in the presence of this Stone of Truth, in the presence of which one cannot deliberately lie. Do you take this man to be your husband to have and to hold, for better or worse, richer or poorer, in sickness and in health for as long as you both shall live?”

Amy gazed into Lucian’s eyes. It was exactly like the vision she had as a child and the day the two had first met. “I do.”

“Lucian the Tenrec, answer in the presence of this Stone of Truth, in the presence of which one cannot deliberately lie. Do you take this woman to be your wife to have and to hold, for better or worse, richer or poorer, in sickness and in health for as long as you both shall live?”

Lucian looked into the eyes of the girl he now realized he loved from the moment he first heard of her. “I do.”

“You may present the rings.”

With a gesture Amy created a gold band around Lucian’s finger. “With this ring, I thee wed.”

Lucian then formed another gold ring around Amy’s finger. “With this ring, I thee wed.”

“Then by the power vested in Charlemagne by the Republic of Acorn, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride.”

As the two kissed passionately the illusionary crowd cheered before the whole scene faded away to the idol chamber, Amy’s dress changing back to her Ixis garb.

“All that is left is to sign this certificate making this marriage legal.”

The newlyweds reluctantly stopped their kiss and then signed the document.

Specter then handed the second potion to Lucian. “Consider this a wedding present. There’s still much work to be done, but for now the rest of this day is yours to enjoy with each other. Everyone else, the Grand Design has no further need of us today.” As everyone began to leave specter spoke again. “Master Mogul, I’d like to have a moment of your time alone.”

Mammoth stopped in his tracks sensing the other masters were starting to get very nervous. He turned and saw that Stone of Truth created during the ceremony was still floating near Specter, this wasn’t going to be easy. “Of course, how may help you my lord?”

The doors closed behind Mammoth as the rest of the order left, he had to deal with Specter and the stone alone. “That was an excellent portrait you made. It would belong in a museum if we didn’t have to give it to the royal family.”

“When you’ve lived as long as I have you pick up a few hobbies, I’m sure you must have had several.”

“Just one, the interests of my vessels fascinate me, I find it amusing to see what a creature would do with their time when it’s a limited commodity. For example, you got every detail of Morgana and Cyrus just right, it must be true that an elephant never forgets.”

 “Not really. It’s been so long I never realized how much of a resemblance Sally and Elias have to their ancestors.” Mammoth sighed. He had to keep Specter from asking the question he didn’t want answered but he had questions of his own. “When we first met Morgana reminded me of someone I once knew. Her name was Ruby, and I tried to keep her by making her immortal like myself. But back then I barely understood how the emeralds worked and that ended up killing her. As she learned more and more, I began to see Morgana as the daughter I wish Ruby and I had. I wish she had stayed to further my ambitions but the answer she wanted I couldn’t give. Then one day out of the blue Morgana came back to me, with a husband in tow. I didn’t like Cyrus at first, but he made Morgana so happy I began to see him like a son.

“I was surprised when they both began to share my ambitions and saddened when that led to their demise. But they were never Morgana’s ambitions, were they? They were yours.”

Specter chuckled. “I have had countless vessels over the centuries, but not all of them I used the same way. Most I only influenced to do one or two tasks, often only to make sure the mask made its way to next vessel I needed, some I made do simple things that would have important ramifications decades or even centuries later. All these vessels I used so gingerly that they ended up living their lives none the wiser I ever existed at all. A few like Charlemagne I had to use more directly to influence a war or a trade deal or a work of literature to affect the actions of millions of others sometimes generations later, most never told a soul thinking they’d never be believed, some tried to tell others only to be called crazy.

“Morgana however actually considered me a friend. She was willing to do what I asked, including having me accept a vow from you, if I answered her questions. She hesitated at times but so great was her desire for a world without war and strife she compromised herself little by little and Cyrus so in love and eager to make her happy also compromised himself. Towards the end I asked Morgana to give the mask to one of her children to bury with her, in exchange I shown her that their kingdom would rise again. Once it was done, I made that child stay just long enough to see Morgana and Cyrus’ last moments, they still believed in my promise of this world and that none of what they did was in vain.”

Specter gave another chuckle. “So, you see I never changed Morgana, she changed herself and eventually took ALL your lessons to heart.”

Mammoth sighed. “I see, forgive me my lord this particular task had made me a bit nostalgic.”

“And was nostalgia the reason you added my mask to that portrait?”

Mammoth tried to think on his feet, he was unable to lie but if he could word his answer just right…

Suddenly the Stone of Truth shattered into pieces. “Never mind,” Specter laughed. “You don’t need to answer. I shall be in meditation until I summon you all again, you may go about your business until then.”

Mammoth bowed then moved out of the room as if nothing was wrong only to sigh with relief the moment the door was closed. “That was too close, I’ll need to come up with a contingency plan. Mark my words Specter whatever you planned I am the only one who knows what’s best for Mobius, and I’ll do whatever it takes to ensure its future!”

In his chamber Specter floated as he returned to his meditation. “Mammoth when will you learn? There is no betrayal you and your co-conspirators can conceive, no event that can occur, no heroics that hedgehog can do that Ixis has not let me foresee!”

Chapter 15: There goes the Nerberhood

Summary:

After discovering the Order of Ixis' plans the Freedom Fighters head to the Nerb Kingdom to get to the power of Earth. Both sides team up to fight an unexpected enemy only for everything to be turned on its head.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

There Goes the Nerberhood

“Sonic, hear us.”

The super speed hero opened his eyes only to find himself back in the multi-hued Sanctum of the Titans.

“I was wondering if you’d ever call me back.”

“A critical juncture is approaching for you and your world,” said the green hedgehog. “The Agent almost has all it needs to unleash its master.”

Sonic crossed his arms. “Let me guess, the agent is Specter and the ancient force he serves is Ixis.”

“You have come to the truth on your own,” said the red wolf. “But even so you have only scratched the surface of the depths of this threat.”

“What I care about is that it looks like old Masquerade has some of my friends thinking they’re the good guys. They say that you stole the job of creating the universe from Ixis, I don’t believe that but if I want to convince them I’m going to need your side of the story.”

“Like all good lies what they were told contains a kernel of truth,” said the blue dog. “There was a battle between us and Ixis before this universe, we won and imprisoned him but that is where the similarities end.”

“Our task was to act as protectors of this world to keep it from being unmade,” said the purple cat. “Ixis however stood in the way of its formation so we had to seal him away in the only thing that could contain his power, the Chaos Force.”

“If unleashed he would take all that is and reshape reality to how he desires it,” said the yellow bear. “It would be the end of you, your world and all the worlds that stem from it, this cannot be allowed to happen.”

Sonic had a sneer. “So, this Ixis guy wants to destroy our universe just so he can make a new one?”

“No,” said the White Rabbit. “He seeks to be a universe in and of himself. If on the infinitesimal chance that a consciousness of this reality could survive the transition, they would be more undifferentiated from Ixis than a single electron of a single atom of a single cell of your body would be from you.”

“And here I thought Mr. Perfect had a big ego,” Sonic then sighed. “Only I ended up helping them. I tried to save my friends with the Chaos Emerald you gave me, but I practically handed it over to Specter.”

“The agent’s acquisition of the emeralds was a big loss,” said the green hedgehog. “But thankfully it wasn’t a critical one, his plans cannot come to fruition with the emeralds alone.”

“So that’s why he was so quiet lately, but what’s he looking for?”

“That your friends will soon make that clear to you,” said the red wolf.

“But take care not to underestimate your foe,” said the blue dog.

“For it is likely there is a plan within the plan,” said the purple cat.

“Stay true to your friends and your beliefs,” said the yellow bear.

“For only your heart will let you withstand what awaits your world next,” said the white rabbit.

A blinding light came over Sonic as he heard the titans speak as one. “May the light of creation guide you on your path.”


Sonic woke up to Sally speaking over the communicator on his nightside stand. “Sonic wake up! We need you to meet us at the Sky Patrol asap!”

Sonic answered the call. “I just had a chat with my titan pals, they said you found what the Order of Ixis is planning.”

“We think so, Sir Charles and Professor Pickle seem to think so at least. As soon as you get here, we’ll contact everyone involved while we’re en route to our destination.”

“Then I’m already there!”

Sonic was out the door in a blink.


Fiona was waiting outside the idol chamber of the Temple of Ixis. As she saw the couples that made up the rest of the Five Elite approach with very large smiles on their faces, she found her giving her own playful smirk. “I take it you’ve all enjoyed yourselves after using that potion; I was hearing strange noises late into the night.”

Lucian sighed contentedly. “I never imagined it would be so… invigorating. It was like we somehow knew exactly where to touch, that I knew what Amy would like most before she even did.”

Amy was giggling mischievously. “Too be honest I expected a sharper learning curve, your aunt told me and the Freedom Fighters that it took a lot of practice. Whatever was in that potion they should give it to all newlyweds.”

“Not just them,” said Hershey. “Usually we spent more time on pillow talk than ‘feeding the kitty’ but last night… we went back three more times.”

Geoffrey beamed. “I don’t consider myself a slouch in that department, but it felt like the soultouch we now share was on fire. When we finally did go to sleep it was out of sheer exhaustion.”

“Way to make a girl feel jealous,” Fiona laughed. The vixen then turned away looking wistful. “Maybe someday Mighty and I can have what you enjoy.”

Amy put a reassuring hand on her shoulder. “All the more reason to continue the will of Ixis.”

Fiona smiled back. “In that case we mustn’t keep Lord Specter waiting.”

They entered the idol chamber where Specter and the Supreme Council were waiting. “Excellent,” Specter said. “I hope you’ve enjoyed your time together, because I need you to separate for a while.”

“Absence simply makes the Heart grow fonder my lord,” said Hershey.

“Good, Heralds of Air and Water, you are to see Master Witchcart so that she may give you enough training in a skill that will be important in a future mission. Meanwhile the rest of you are to take the focus of Light Gaia and accompany Master Naugus, it is time to claim the Essence of Earth.”

Specter levitated the ring to Amy’s waiting hands. “We will not fail you my lord.”

“Of course not, your success was foretold in Grand Design.”

“My lord,” said Fiona. “I am grateful that we are to gain the elementals I am to command, but may I ask a few questions first?”

“Ask them of Master Naugus,” said Specter. “It is nearly time for the medicine this body requires so I must take my leave.”

Naugus stepped into the spot Specter vacated. “Go ahead and ask your questions but keep them brief.”

“Thank you,” said Fiona. “So where are we going and how did we find where to collect this essence?”

“A seismologist close to one of the spies you recruited had found strange readings near where Robotropolis once stood. After examining records made during the Shattered Earth Crisis last year and ancient texts in our possession Lord Specter has determined this is where we can gather the Essence of Earth. We are to depart immediately.”

“One more question, if Witchcart is to help the boys while we’re gone what are masters Mammoth and Ferrum going to do?”

“Oh, don’t worry about me,” said Mammoth. “I have a business to run so I’ll be making a few calls.”

“And Lord Specter is having me make other preparations to gather the next essence,” said Regina.

“I hope that satisfies you,” said Naugus. “Now before we go there is one last precaution to make.” Naugus took a teardrop shaped yellow stone on a chain out of his robes and handed it to Fiona. “Witchcart and I have worked together on this charm, it should enhance your powers if unforeseen circumstances land us in a battle.”

“I hope it won’t come to that, but better safe than sorry I guess.” Fiona tucked the pendant into a pouch on her belt.

“We’ll be back soon,” said Hershey.

“I’ll be counting the minutes,” said Geoffrey.

Fiona, Hershey and Amy were covered in stone, flame and purple light respectively and flew off. Naugus changed into a shadow which then vanished.

“Alright boys if you’ll follow me, we’ll get you ready for your next task,” Witchcart cackled.

After she left with the remaining elite and Regina left the room Mammoth took a cell phone out of his pocket.

“What can I do for you Mr. Mogul?” Breezie asked on the other end. “Something that I hope will not leave me to be devolved into a Mobini with while you are off who knows where.”

“You’re still mad about that?” said Mammoth. “It’s just as I’ve explained, I couldn’t risk Naugus taking you as a hostage. Again, I’m sorry but I have a request to make about that little event you’re about to run in a couple of days.”

“There’s a lot of money tied up into that, perhaps if you made it worth my while with an increase to my year-end bonus?”

“I can do you one better, we can grant you magical power, something money can’t buy and can be quite useful wouldn’t you say?”

“That’s very gracious of you Mr. Mogul. What do you need done?”

Mogul smiled to himself. It always paid to have an ace in the hole.

Outside Regina activated a communicator. “Snively if you can answer please pick up.”

The image of Robotnick’s toady appeared. “Regina I’ve been really worried about you. Viktor suspects the Order was planning to double cross him, as busy as he’s been with the war, I’ve been able to slow down finding your location but I’m not sure how long I can put off finding you.”

Regina smirked to herself. “You can tell Viktor we’re staging a little revolt, and if he were so inclined as to help us, we can guarantee him worthwhile allies that tip the scales of this war in his favor.”

“What about gene bombs? We figured out the one you gave us wasn’t the only one.”

“No but it was the last, how about I sweeten pot by telling you about an upcoming scheme we have that if Viktor plays his card right can help get rid of a certain meddlesome blue hedgehog once and for all.”


The Sky Patrol was already in the air as Sonic sat down in the conference room with Sally, Rotor, Antione, Bunnie, Nicole, Silver and Gold.

“I’ve got Tails connected from the Bridge to here via intercom,” Nicole said as she sat down. “Big’s keeping an eye on things in Freedom City while Cream is at school.”

Sonic was at the edge of his seat. “Ok, so what does the pick-a-card club have up their sleeve?”

“For that I’m going to connect us to a few witnesses and experts,” Sally said. Some holographic displays popped up showing Professor Pickle, Sir Charles, Lupe and Blaze. “Thank you all for helping us, Sir Charles you better discuss your findings first.”

“Yes, your highness,” Chuck said. “Sonic your mother asked me to help look into the break in at your home and we managed to get this security footage.

The hologram changed to show a security camera recording of a young man with a cap over his eyes pocketing Chip’s ring.

“There’s our thief,” Sonic growled. “Too bad we can’t tell who it is.”

“Actually, we can. Look at the mirror at the far end of the hall.”

It was a bit far off the thief’s reflection was that of a withered old crone.

“Witchcart, so the Order of Ixis were the ones who took Chip’s ring. But why?”

“Probably the same reason a thief broke into the sanctum the Wolf Pack and the Felidae kept the Ancient Onyx,” said Lupe. “Luckily for us my children took it during the Phantom Ruby War, Relic is studying it at Angel Island with our permission.”

“Let me guess,” said Blaze. “It has something to do with why Specter stole Iblis’ Essence from my inner flame.”

Chuck nodded. “We believe that it has something to do with how Ixis Magik works on the control of the four classical elements; Earth, Fire, Air and Water.”

“But what does the Ancient Onyx have to do with any of this?” Asked Lupe.

“Relic forwarded her preliminary analysis,” Sally said. “Turns out we ran across the Ancient Onyx before but knew it by another name, the Black Emerald.”

“Zhat thing that held Chaos?!” gasped Antione. “Sacre Bleu, I thought it was lost when he and Tikal disappeared!”

“It was lost to our nations for ages,” said Lupe. “We had only found it after the Wolf Pack Nation reestablished itself leading to our troubles with the Felidae. To think it was an echidna relic all this time…”

“So that means the Order has a powerful being of Fire, a relic of Earth and tried to get a relic that holds a powerful being of Water.” Bunnie mused. “Sounds like we’re just getting to the hootnanny after half the dances are done.”

“This concerned me, so I went back to the Gaia Manuscripts,” said Professor Pickle. “There was a line that went ‘Light and Dark must be in balance in Gaia just as Gaia must be in balance with the rest of nature’. I first thought it meant that Gaia had to be in balance with life but now I think it refers to these other beings.”

“Well the Black Emerald is secure for all intents and purposes,” said Tails over the intercom. “So that means we have Water while Specter has Fire. I guess we’re going after Air next to break the tie?”

“No,” said Sally. “They wouldn’t have taken Chip’s ring unless they had a plan on how to empower it, the score’s more like one and a half to one.”

“But how can they empower it?” asked Sonic. “All the Gaia Temples were part of the Gaia Colossus when it was trapped in the planet’s core.”

“There might be another place where it is possible,” said Professor Pickle. “The Gaia Manuscripts had this to say about the temples. ‘Lo when Light and Dark return to their slumber the temples will slumber with them, until the Font of Gaia’s power will call the temples once more. The Font will be in the protection of the people of the deep places, their king its guardian’.”

“Deep places mean it’s probably underground so…” Sally sighed unable to finish her sentence.

Sonic bolted up. “Don’t tell me we’re going…”

“…Unfortunately, we have to ask help from…” Sally sighed again. “…the Nerbs.”

This elicited groans from almost everyone on the Sky Patrol.

Gold and Silver looked puzzled as the grey hedgehog raised his hand. “I don’t get it, who are the Nerbs?”

“A subterranean offshoot of Mobians modern scientists believe are likely descend from an old-world animal called the Naked Mole Rat,” said Nicole who seemed less upset than the others. “They are very reclusive but have a strong work ethic.”

“You’re only saying the nice stuff because you haven’t dealt with them yourself!” grumbled Sonic. “They’re also the most snobbish, annoying, and dweebiest creatures on the planet! They’re so rigid in their how they’re supposed to act that Robuttink and Eggman didn’t even bother to roboticize them, they either didn’t fight back because it wasn’t Nerbish or some LIKED being his slaves because it wasn’t that different from what they usually did!”

“Not all of them,” said Sally. “There was a small Freedom Fighter division down there.”

“Who were only slightly cool by copying us.”

“In any case once the Phantom Ruby War ended, they managed to liberate their kingdom, but their king was still missing, and we hadn’t heard anything from them since.”

“Are we sure this is the only lead we have?” asked Rotor. “I mean how hard can it be to find a living embodiment of air?”

“We know the Order of Ixis will be going after this whatever this ‘Font of Gaia’ is. This is also our best chance to catch and interrogate one of them and learn what Specter’s master plan is. We have at least some pull since we saved them once and the King made us honorary Nerbs.” The Freedom Fighters shivered briefly. “We have to get to it first and that means working with the Nerbs no matter how much we don’t want to.” Sally groaned. “And I really don’t want to.”

They heard Tails sigh over the intercom. “Alright I’ll set our course to near were Robotropolis used to be, that’s the entry to their tunnel network nearest to their capital Nerberhood. We should be there in a half hour.”

“Marine and I are on our way there now,” said Blaze. “We should be there a couple of hours later in case they bring Iblis and we need to contain it again. Thankfully the Sol Emeralds and their affinity with Fire should let me take it back without pinballing me through time and space.”

Lupe nodded. “I’ll talk with Queen Hathor about our nations sending our most trusted warriors to Angel Island to protect the Ancient…sorry, Black Emerald. If the Order of Ixis really is after our sacred treasure it’s only a matter of time until they find out where it really is.”

“In the meantime, the professor and I will each conduct research to see if we can uncover whatever the Order would use for Air and what their scheme is,” said Chuck.

“We all have our assignments,” said Sally. “So, let’s get to them.”

After the communication lines closed Sonic turned to Sally. “How about we look for Masquerade’s hideout instead? I hear Lethal Radioactive Zone is nice this time of year.”

“No but if it makes you feel better, we can just cuddle a bit before we get there. I think we’re both going to need a break.”

Sonic took Sally’s hand. “Best idea I’ve heard all day.”

As the Freedom Fighters filed out of the conference room Gold and Silver heard Blaze in their minds. {Guys I have a problem. Marine is starting to ask questions I’m not sure we want her knowing the answers to. I don’t want to drag her into our problems, but she’s like a little sister to me, the same way Tails is a little brother to Sonic.}

{We’re close to keeping our actions to change the future for the better intact,} thought Gold. {But this also the point that’s going to cause the most strain between us and the people of this era. We must keep Sonic alive, but at the same time we’ll have to keep the Freedom Fighters from reaching their goals or there won’t be a us to save Sonic.}

{And that’s the problem. I don’t think I can bring myself to lie to her, but if I do tell her she’ll either try to stop what needs to be done or she’ll help us and become just as ostracized.}

{Blaze you’re the person who knows Marine best,} thought Silver. {Whatever you decide, I’m sure you’ll make the right call.}

{I hope you’re right. We’ll see you both when we get there.}

Silver silently wished that this wouldn’t destroy Blaze and Marine’s friendship.


A little later that day Gold was taking in the scale of the tunnel they were traveling through. “This is incredible, and the Nerbs dug all this themselves?”

“Yes, and not just this one,” said Nicole. “They have tunnels crisscrossing Northamer, and perhaps every continent, that have been built over generations.”

“Which means it’s really easy to get lost down here,” said Rotor. “So, stick together and keep an eye out for Deep Kraken. They aren’t naturally aggressive but can be dangerous if we frighten them.”

Tails, using a flashlight, scouted at the head of the group. “According to the map the Nerb Freedom Fighters left us Nerberhood should be past this next turn.”

“Good,” said Antione. “Hopefully they’ll have what passes for cuisine down here.”

As the team turned the corner, they came to an enormous cavern with an underground city nestled inside. The buildings along the edges were built right into the cave wall and a castle dominated what passed for a skyline.

Sally turned to the team. “The plan is to ask the first nerb we come across to find someone to escort us the Nerb Princess, if anyone knows where this Font of Gaia is it’s her. I should be able to convince her one princess to another that the Order of Ixis or whatever agents they send can’t be trusted. Then we set a trap for them and find out what they’re up to, hopefully we got here first.”

After walking for a couple of more minutes they were in downtown Nerberhood. Silver looked around. “Is it just me or are things a little too quiet down here?”

“My babysitter here does have a point,” said Sonic. “We should have seen one of the little nimrods by now.”

“So why does this place feel like a ghost town?” asked Bunnie.

Gold closed her eyes and the mark on her forehead glowed. “They’re here, but they’re hiding in their homes. Something is making them very afraid, some monster I’ve never…”

Suddenly a creature the size of a Mobian ran into the street from an alleyway. It had green skin, a large nose and prominent buck teeth. It was wearing pants, a tucked in white pocket shirt, pencils stuffed into the shirt pocket, a floppy red pointed hat and large thick glasses.

“There’s one of them,” said Sally. “Time to get some answers.”

The Nerb collapsed at Sonic’s feet and grabbed his ankles. “Get out of here! You have to leave before they find you!”

Sonic had a bold confident look after he shook the Nerb off. “If you’re talking about the Order of Ixis then the calvary has arrived! We’ll take care of those second-rate birthday performers!”

The Nerb shook his head. “It’s not whoever you said it was! You have to run before it’s too late!”

Suddenly there was a maniacal laughter echoing off the buildings. “Oh, it’s already too late!”

Suddenly Sonic, Tails, Nicole, Silver, Gold and the Nerb were covered in a sticky green slime that glued them to the ground as several beat-up looking Egg Pawns came out of the alleys, their guns dripping with the slime.

“Ugh, what is this gunk?!” yelled Gold.

“Just a little something we gave the bots, so they don’t break our toys when we play with them!” The unseen maniac laughed.

“Wait,” said Tails. “I know that voice.”

A tall lanky pink horned monster leapt from a roof top, his blue tongue waving in the air. “Hey Tails, miss me?! You’ve gotten taller since you tricked us by faking your legionization!”

Sonic gritted his teeth. “Zazz, I thought I finished you and the rest of the Deadly Six back at Lost Hex!”

A fat yellow horned monster came from an alley. “Guh, you can’t get rid of us that easy.”

Sally activated her ringblades. “Zomom’s here too?!”

“Easy or not we’re stopping y’all!” Bunnie said as she changed her left arm into a blaster, Antione drew his sword and Rotor took a wrench from his belt ready to use it as a club.

Zazz and Zomom thrusted their hands out and the three Freedom Fighters suddenly fell to the ground.

“Sacré Bleu!” Yelled Antione. “I can’t move!”

“Whatever it is they’re doing,” grunted Rotor. “It’s paralyzing the cybernetics in my back, and I bet your legionized bodies are being effected in the same way.

“Hahaha!” Zazz laughed. “By manipulating magnetic fields, we Zeti can control any machine we want!”

“Too bad for you I’m not a machine anymore!” Sally yelled as she charged the Zeti.

“Uh Zazz,” Zomom said stretching his head. “She’s not a robot anymore.”

“You just figured that out!?” Sally leapt into the air. “Usually the fur’s a dead giveaway!” She was about to bring her ringblades down on the villains.

Suddenly she felt a pain in her back as she was suddenly knocked to the ground by something from the shadows. She felt a clawed foot pin her. “Don’t bother,” said a white Zeti with purple hair holding a pale blue rose. “Resisting us is pointless, but then again life in general is pointless.”

“Great timing Zor!” laughed Zazz. “Let’s take Sonic and his friends here to the castle, the boss is going to love this!”

Moments later the egg pawns tied up the rest of the Freedom Fighters and brought them before a throne, on either side a Zeti stood. One was a green female with long green hair and a curled tail who was applying nail polish as if the Freedom Fighters weren’t there. The other was blue tiny with a strand of white hair and a white moustache, he carried a wooden staff that was taller than he was.

On the throne however was the most impressive Zeti yet. He had a powerfully built red body with a cyan ponytail, huge horns and a serpentine tail. He got up looked at the gunked up hedgehog with a wicked expression. “Well if it isn’t my old friend Sonic,” the big Zeti said. “Oh wait, FRIENDS DON’T KNOCK YOU INTO MOLTEN LAVA!”

“Nice to see you too Zavok,” Sonic said keeping his cool. “I’d ask what you Zeena, Zik and the rest of you rejects are doing here but I already know the answer, no good.”

“After that humiliating defeat you handed us, we were forced into hiding once Eggman started his little war with the Phantom Ruby. But with him out of the picture we could start taking over this planet and this isolated little kingdom seemed like a good place to start until we came up with a plan to bring you Mobians to your knees.”

“All it took was manipulating a few discarded badnicks and we can now strike anywhere on the continent without notice,” said Master Zik. “Like a cobra hiding under an unsuspecting victim’s bed.”

“I personally hate it!” fumed Zeena. “This dank cavern is messing my hair and the only ones to torment here are those grody Nerbs!”

“Ah unhappy?” Sonic snarked. “Why don’t you ungoop me and I’ll give you a better home in a Republic prison cell?”

“No thanks, prison orange is SO out.”

“What did you do to the Nerb Freedom Fighters Zavok?!” yelled Sally. “You couldn’t have taken over without them fighting back!”

Zavok turned to the chipmunk. “Ah Princess, you’re looking fleshier than when I took control of you from Eggman back at Lost Hex. Too bad, I was going to give just enough of your free will back so you could watch helplessly as your body disemboweled the hedgehog.”

“Answer me you freak!”

“Oh, you’ll meet them soon enough,” Zavok turned to the Nerb who was caught with them. “Now as for you trying to escape…”

“P-please!” cried the nerb. “I’ll work super hard for you, just don’t hurt my family!”

“But why make you work when making you suffer is so much more fun?” Zavok plucked the glasses off the nearsighted Nerb and crushed them with his bare hand. “For example, watching you stumble your way to get replacements for these is very entertaining!”

The Zeti laughed as the nearsighted Nerb was kicked out of the throne room.

“So, you’re bullying the Nerbs instead of enslaving them,” snarled Tails. “Too bad for you Sonic and I can’t stand bullies.”

“It’s not like there’s anything you can do about it from a cell.” Zavok pointed at Zomom. “Take the Egg Pawns and throw the intruders in the dungeon! We’ll figure out the most delicious way of executing them and the others later!”

The Zeti laughed as the overweight fiend led them to the basement.

The Freedom Fighters were thrown in after each was untied, Zomom then slammed the door. “Now you stay put while I go on my lunch break! I hope there’s still some of those sandwiches left.”

“Don’t worry,” said a feminine voice from behind them. “Now that you’re here we can escape and take our home back from those odious orges!”

The Freedom fighters turned and saw a few Nerbs who were dressed oddly for their kind. The nerb who spoke was wearing a purple suit with a bang of red hair coming from under her cap. With her was a nerb with a pink shirt and a two pointed hat, one with parted hair and a snobbish look, a legionized female with what looked like a swiss army knife for an arm and finally a nerb that instead of the cap had sunglasses, blue clothes and spiky blue hair.

“Here let me take care of that stuff for you,” the legionized Nerb said as her arm sprayed an aerosol that dissolved the slime.

“Thanks,” said Sonic. “So how did horn head and his flunkies manage to take over?”

“It was about a month ago,” said the blue haired nerb. “Everyone was changed into Mobini and when we changed back, they had already moved in. Thankfully the Deadly Six still have no clue about the king and the energy source he’s been protecting since he went missing.”

“The Font of Gaia,” said Sally. “That’s why we’re here.”

“We know,” said Princess Nerb. “We found out about it during the Shattered Earth Crisis, my father had been down there all this time trying to understand it. Your friends had already told us about how it can be used to restore Gaia’s focus ring.”

Sally raised an eyebrow. “What friends?”

The nerbs moved to the side to show three girls in the corner of the cell

“A lot of people said I’d end up back in jail,” said Fiona. “But I don’t think any of them would think it would be because of monsters from a lost world in the sky.”

The Freedom Fighters turned and saw three familiar faces. “Princess they lied to you!” said Sally. “You three can drop the act! We saw the mask in the painting, you’re now working for Specter, aren’t you?”

“A mask in the painting?” said Amy. “What are you…!” She suddenly stopped and knelt over a toilet and emptied the contents of her stomach into it.

“We were given a vison of you with that ring here and came to see if we could help,” said Hershey looking green around the gills herself. “Unfortunately, the Deadly Six didn’t take too kindly to us finding out about their little operation down here.”

“We tried to fight them off, but I think Hershey and I seem to be coming down with something,” Amy said after recovering. “During the fight we got tired and dizzy suddenly, and they caught us. Since then we’ve been using the toilet in here a lot, our chests and backs feel sore, we have headaches and we can’t keep anything down.”

“They’ve been keeping my hands full,” said Fiona. “My healing magic doesn’t seem to do anything but whatever it is I seem to be immune at least.”

“That ring was stolen from my home by Witchcart,” said Sonic. “The three of you telling them about it being here doesn’t look good for you guys.”

“Check us for it then,” said Hershey. “If we have it then you have proof that we’re in league with the Order, if not then our story is the more legitimate.”

“Search them,” Sally sighed. “I really didn’t want it to come to this.”

Antione looked through the bag on Hershey’s belt and found nothing. Tails took the teardrop shaped pendant from Fiona’s belt pouch.

“Just a gift from a friend,” she told her cousin. “And clearly not a ring.”

Sonic hesitated as he opened Amy’s bag and found nothing.

“The only ring I have on me is this one,” said Amy as she shown her left hand. “The ring Lucian gave me when we got married last night.”

Sonic was taken aback. “Y-you two just got married, without inviting your friends?”

Amy looked sullen. “I was under the impression that you no longer saw me as friend, even if I still did. We knew destiny had drawn us together and we couldn’t wait anymore.”

Sally stepped closer. “Amy…”

“As you can see, we don’t have Chip’s ring,” Amy interrupted. “Which means the Order of Ixis have yet to bring it here so we should focus on freeing the nerbs.”

“Plan’s simple,” said the blue haired Nerb. “All we need is a way to get out of here.”

“Leave that to my sister and me,” said Silver. “We have a way to get past big, dumb and hungry.”

“Ok, once we’re out we split into three teams. Anyone who needs to rely on gizmos will evacuate the city while Sonic distracts the Deadly Six with his speed. The princess will need a smaller team to come with her to make sure his lowliness and the Font of Gaia are safe.”

“Tails and I go with you princess,” Sally said before turning to the witches in the corner. “You three should help with the evacuation effort, two of you are sick and there might be wounded who need your help Fiona.”

As the three girls began to get up, they heard a voice in their minds. {This is Naugus, I have shadowmelded myself and the ring into the Font Chamber. There isn’t a way I can get to the font without the Nerb King noticing, is there anything you can do up there once you can escape?}

Amy cradled her head as if she was getting another headache carefully putting her index and middle fingers on her forehead as she did so. “Sally we have a common enemy here and we have to work together in order to beat them. Once we’re sure the nerbs are safe we’re coming back, and I think you should join us with King Nerb once you’re sure he’s fine, these people need to know he’s still in charge.”

Sally sighed. “You…actually have a point. Alright, once we’re sure the font is secure, we’ll come back and reinforce the attack.”

“Thanks for listening to us,” Amy took her hands off her head.

{Excellent,} Naugus said through telepathy. {It should be easy enough for me to lay low until they’re far enough away that once they realize what’s happening it will be too late for them to do anything about it. Be sure to make your escape before then.}

“Let’s do it to it!” said Sonic. “And you can start now Gold, fatso is on his way back.”

Zomom came to the cell. “Here’s your lunch, I hope you like gruel!”

“What about cake?” Gold said suggestively.

“No cake for you! There wasn’t even any in the kitchen for me!”

“But I could make you one,” Gold’s mark and eyes started to glow. “Let me out of here and I could bake one for you.”

Zomom’s eyes glowed in the same color briefly. “Uh, yeah! I’m the boss here so bake me a cake!”

The Zeti opened the door only to have the key taken out of grasp by Silver’s telekinesis as Sonic spun into the tub of lard knocking him into the wall.

“Wow,” said Amy. “He’s even dumber than I remember.”

“That should keep him out for a little bit,” said Silver. “But I thought you could only use your mind control to get people to do small things.”

“It’s a lot easier to get someone to do something if they want to do it. I just had to connect opening the door to food and his gluttony did the rest.”

 “Alright we’re heading to the font,” said Sally. “The rest of you do your jobs and above all keep yourselves safe.


Zavok had his arms crossed and eyes closed in concentration as he stood on the balcony. “Are you sure master?”

“Those meddlers had to have come here for a reason,” said Master Zix. “If we interrogate them and the rest of these nerbs the key to world conquest will fall into our hands like an overripened peach.”

“It does make sense, and if they refuse to tell us as we torture them then at least I will have gotten my revenge on Sonic.”

“Except there are three holes in that plan,” Sonic quipped as he blurred into the room. “Hole number one Freedom Fighters don’t give up, hole number two hurting my friends only succeeds in getting me mad and hole number three we have to be your prisoners for you to even try it.”

The head zeti looked at the Hedgehog growling. “My only mistake was locking you up instead of tearing you apart!” Zavok threw a punch that Sonic quickly dodged causing large cracks to appear in the masonry. “Master, round up the others, I’ll take care of Sonic personally!”

“Hit me with your best shot grim grin!”

Zik hopped off into the castle as Rotor peeked upward from the gate. “They took the bait, let’s get the nerbs out of here! With any luck we’ll run into Blaze and she’ll even the odds against those trolls!”

“Blaze?” Hershey asked as they began herding Nerbs out of the city.

“Oh yeah, y’all haven’t actually been introduced formally yet but she was the gal that kept you from burning up Amy and the rest back in freedom city.”

“I…” Hershey clutched her head. “Strange I can barely remember anything that happened up on that roof.”

“Me too,” said Fiona. “I don’t think it’s whatever illness they caught.”

“Maybe you should stick around and have ‘ave Gold here take a peek in your heads,” said Antione.

“Who?” asked Amy.

“Ok this is getting ridiculous,” said Nicole. “Gold, Silver’s sister, trying to help him save the future, tricked Zomom into letting us out a not ten minutes ago, about fifteen feet to your left?”

Amy looked at the holo-lynx confused. “Nicole you’re not making sense, who’s Silver?”

“Me,” said Silver as he came up to Amy. “Right in front of you.”

“I’m still waiting for an answer who’s…now I can’t remember who I was asking about.”

“This is bad,” said Rotor. “It’s like they can’t see…”

“…that we’d kick your butts if you escaped?!” shouted Zazz as he, Zomom, Zik, Zeena and Zor appeared behind them with several egg pawns.

“This is all your fault Zomom,” said Zeena. “Now I may actually need to, ugh, work up a sweat!”

“Keep the civilians going,” said Hershey. “As much tech as you have, they can just freeze you up again. The three of us will handle…oh.”

She and Amy fell to their knees.

“No way!” yelled Bunnie. “Two of y’all are no condition to fight!”

“We got this!” Silver said readying his powers.

“Then I’ll take them myself,” said Fiona.

“Out of ze question!” said Antione. “They ‘ave you outnumbered!”

“I just need to slow them down and we don’t have any other options!” Fiona reached into her belt pouch and pulled out the pendant. “And I have a little trick up my sleeve. I’ll be right behind you I promise.”

Antione growled. “We’ll be looking for you.” He turned to Silver and Gold. “Make sure she gets there.” He then began retreating with the others.

Fiona turned back to the zeti and placed the pendant around her neck. Her eyes started to glow purple. “Alright you pitiful little trolls.” With a motion Fiona caused several huge boulders to fall from the ceiling on top of the egg pawns. “Let’s rock.”

The hedgehog and tenrec levitated a few of the stones. “What do you think is happening to them?” Silver asked.

Gold’s mark lit up. “Whatever is we can’t stop it, even if we had the power to.”


Sonic and Zavok were treading blows as they leapt from the rooftops of the castle. “What’s the matter gruesome?” Sonic laughed. “You’d think with all those muscles you’d be able to hurt me a little. Maybe it’s because your head has more horn than brains in it!”

“Just wait until I get my claws on around your neck you little rodent!” Zavok slashed at Sonic only to make four gashes in the roof.

“Hey, Hedgehogs are eulipotyphlans, not rodents. If you’re going to insult me get it right.”

Zavok and Sonic began to trade punches and kicks. “You Mobians always thought so highly of yourselves, but Lost Hex had appeared in your world more times than you know. We zeti left our mark on the old civilizations when our ancestors scouted an island chain for a potential invasion. We lived on in their folklore for generations as terrors, Oni they called us, and we would have taken your world to replace our disintegrating one if it weren’t for those accursed Xorda! They left almost no machines for us to control with our dwindling numbers or a means for us to leave Lost Hex, otherwise Master Zik in his prime would have stopped the Echidna civilization before it began and after a generation or two of under us your knuckle dragging ancestors would have thought you were born to be our playthings!”

“The thing I really find annoying about you rule the world types, no imagination! All that power and you would use it to get rich, pump up your ego or push around those weaker than you. Just once I’d like to meet one of you who wants to do it for something like unlimited free chili dogs, then I’d just set them up with Uncle Chuck problem solved.”

“GRRRARRRGH!!!”

Zavok landed an uppercut on Sonic’s jaw sending him tumbling coming to a stop at the edge of the roof.

Sonic got on his feet and stared the fiend down. “Ok, now I may have a fight on my hands.”


Blaze and Marine marched down the tunnel. “Just wait until I show Tails my seashell collection!” said the Raccoon as she carried a duffel bag over her shoulder. “I’ve added a lot of ripper new ones since they started washing up from the Prime Zone’s ocean.”

Blaze sighed at hearing those words come out of someone who looked to be her age. “Marine we’re here on an important mission, you have to stay focused.”

“I know, Order of Ixis, try to imprison an evil fire god back in your body and all that. But you’re still being so mysterious about all this, you barely told me anything about this future you came from.”

“It’s already gone, telling you now wouldn’t do you any good.”

Marine looked off glumly. “Used to be you could tell me anything. When I was little after I lost my mum and dad, I was scared that the dark would take me away without them nearby. You told me you were afraid of water when you little but thanks to the priests you overcame your fear, then you’d kept a little flame lit till I nodded off. Then one day the dark didn’t seem so scary anymore and you haven’t had to be my nightlight since.”

Marine stopped in her tracks. “But I can tell you’re keeping secrets, like you know something bad is about to ‘appen. You always told me when we were in trouble, even when you stayed positive for others and I felt like it was because you could trust me to be able to take it. Is what you learned about yourself so bad that you think I can’t take it? That I won’t think of you like my sis anymore?”

Blaze turned around her expression motherly. “I do trust you, but there are things about myself that even growing up the first time I didn’t know. About who my family was, what they did, what they suffered and how I came to be born. If I told you you’d have to make a very difficult choice, one I can’t make for myself, and that choice will either make you hate me or be hated along with me.”

“I don’t see myself ever hating you sis, but if you do trust me then trust me to make that choice. Even if things happened differently and I still wouldn’t have the girls here for a few years instead of last month, I’d still like to think you wouldn’t see me as just a kid. That if everyone would hate me with you that I could handle it if it was with you.”

Blaze smiled. “You’re still a kid at heart, but not just a kid. Alright, you may want to sit down for this. Silver and Gold learned…”

“Blaze!” Rotor called as he and several nerbs came from around a corner.

“Is it the Order, have they brought Iblis?!”

“No but Sonic and a few others are back there fighting the Deadly Six.”

“I’ve heard of those blokes,” said Marine. “Real nasty bunch…” Then she looked like a lightbulb went off in her head. “But I have just the thing to deal with those cheeky blighters!”

“Marine,” Blaze said shaking her head. “Fighting isn’t your…”

“You said you trust me Blaze. Then trust me when I say if we get down there, those zeti won’t stand a chance!”

Blaze was taken aback but then nodded. “Ok then let’s do this, little sister.”

“Good,” said Antione. “Amy, Hershey how are you…” the cat and hedgehog were nowhere in sight.

“Dagnabbit!” Bunnie fumed. “They must have snuck back to help Fiona and that’s if I’m being optimistic!”

“We’ll find them!” said Blaze. “Let’s go Marine!”

The Sol Islanders went down the tunnel to Nerberhood.


Master Zix fell at Fiona’s feet the rest of zeti weren’t in much better shape. “How did that girl get so strong?” the old man collapsed.

Fiona looked at her fallen foes with her now purple eyes. “Time to finish these annoyances off.”

She created a few floating stalactites ready to fling down on the zeti them down only for a few bursts of flame to blast them into gravel. Fiona turned as Marine and Blaze were standing behind her.

“They’re beaten!” yelled Marine. “You don’t need have to make shish kabob out of ‘em!”

“And you don’t want to fight me over it,” said Blaze. “You’ll lose.”

Fiona shrugged her shoulders. “I don’t see why I should be worried about you raccoon girl.”

“Uh didn’t you hear Blaze here say you can’t beat her!?” Marine huffed.

“Didn’t I hear…? Are you saying there’s someone I should be seeing and hearing?” Fiona then had a look of realization. “Or it isn’t me but…” Fiona chuckled then took a relaxed stance. “Alright, I’m done here, but this is going to very interesting.”

Fiona was covered in stone and then flew up through the ceiling.

“What was that all about?” asked Blaze.

“For some reason she, Hershey and Amy can’t see, hear, or remember us,” said Gold. “As for Fiona’s attitude there it seemed to have started once she put that strange pendant on.”

“I had to use my power to offset her attacks more than anything really,” said Silver. “But none of this makes sense.”

“Does it have something to do with this other mission Blaze is helping you with?” asked Marine. “She was about to tell me about when we heard you guys were in trouble.”

“Wait,” said Blaze. “They’re the Deadly Six but I only count five of them, where’s Sonic?”

Almost as if to answer her there was a large crash coming from the castle.

Gold smiled. “Something tells me he can take care of himself in this case.”


“SONIC WIND!”

Zavok was with the disc of wind and stumbled only to find his footing again.

“Neat trick but I’m going to be the one to crush you this time!”

Sonic gave him a wink. “Then stop playing around and hit me with your best shot!”

Zavok roared as he charged, Sonic formed another wind disc and threw it.

Zavok sneered. “As if that would…”

Sonic then spin dashed into his own sonic wind, his spinning making it grow larger and faster until about a second later Zavok was hit by a spinning hedgehog AND the fierce wind ball he was strengthening.

“WHAT THE…?!!”

The next instant the leader of the Deadly Six was launched across the cavern spinning like a pinwheel until he slammed into wall making a depression the shape of his body, a bigger but more shallow circular depression surrounding that and several cracks that ran from the first to the edge of the second. Out cold Zavok fell right next to his fallen cohorts.

Sonic speed from the castle and was where Zavok fell in a second. Moments later Sally, Tails, the nerb princess and a nerb with red robes and a crown were also looking at the fallen villains.

“Looks like you didn’t need backup after all,” said Sally.

“Awesome move Sonic,” Blaze said impressed.

Sonic was grinning. “It was a complete improv, but I like the results. So, what do you think of me calling that one the ‘Sonic Storm’? It’s a work in progress I admit…”

“As long as my people are safe you can call it whatever you want,” said the Nerb King. No noticed that Zor started to stir and pull out a blue rose. “Once again, the Nerb Kingdom is in your debt Freedom Fighters, I’m still learning about the font but I can assure you…”

Zor then threw the rose in the air which burst into a powder that covered the Zeti and a second later they burst through the surrounding crowd their vitality completely restored.

“I wouldn’t celebrate just yet!” said Zavok.

Sonic growled. “Give up already! You’re the toughest of your gang and I already beat you like three times now, four if you count a Phantom Ruby clone!”

“Not to mention you’re outnumbered!” said Sally. “Don’t make this harder for you than it already is!”

“You’re the ones it’s going to get harder for,” sneered Zavok. “Because you aren’t just fighting me but the combined power of the Deadly Six!” The red zeti then turned to his diminutive mentor. “Master Zix, it’s time.”

“This takes me back,” said Zix. “I haven’t done this properly since before you were even my student.”

“Sounds nasty!” said Zazz. “Count me in!”

The rest seemed less enthused.

“Do we have to?” said Zor.

“We’re going to look stupid!” whined Zeena.

“This always leaves me hungry…” grumbled Zomom.

“Would you rather lose to the hedgehog again?!” snarled Zavok.

The zeti each took a strange stance with Zavok taking the lead and the moment they did they each glowed with a dark light matching their individual colors. And a heavy aura of unease seemed to emanate from them.

“DEADLY SIX SUPER SECRET SPECIAL FORMATION!”

“They look strange,” said Tails. “But whatever they’re doing it’s going to cause some real damage!”

Zavok broke into a wicked laugh “I admit you are truly a worthy foe Sonic! But you underestimated the combined power of the Deadly Six!”

“And you underestimated the power of my seashell collection!” Marine said as she reached into her duffel bag. A second later the sailor pulled out a large dark purple shell with spikes and opening that was glowing red.

The expressions of the Deadly Six went from wicked to aghast. “A cacophonic conch?!” yelled Master Zik. “Where did that girl…?!”

Marine blew into the shell like a horn producing a low thrumming note. The moment they heard it the Deadly Six lost whatever power they gained and fell to their knees covering their ears.

“Not again!” shouted Zavok. “Mark my words one day we will…get…our…”

The six criminals then collapsed once again.

Tails was looking over his terminal as he came close to Marine. “Great job bringing just the tool we needed and now that I got a reading of the wavelength the conch produced, I can find a variant that shouldn’t hurt them but still cancel out their powers. This should keep them in a republic prison for a good long time.”

“That’s a relief,” sighed the Nerb Princess “At least they got nowhere near the…”

Suddenly the cavern began to shake.

“Now what!?” said Sonic.

“The Font of Gaia!” said Sally. “In all the excitement I forgot about the Order of Ixis!”

“Follow me!” said King Nerb. “The Font chamber is this way!”


A few moments later they came into a small cave with a stream of green light coming from a hole in the floor. Right next to it Naugus had Chip’s ring floating above his pincer, the orb glowing green but with a dark purple slit in it making it look like a monstrous eye.

“Looks like I have taken the prize this time Quickster,” the mutant laughed. “I don’t have time to play with you today, but I promise you the next time we meet I won’t be so generous.”

The wizard laughed as he became a shadow that melded into the wall then vanished.

“What did he do?!” asked the Nerb Princess.

“Whatever he did disturbed the font!” said the king. “This could be the end of all nerbdom!”

Suddenly something was shot out of the font and landed at Sonic’s feet. It only took a second of seeing the maroon furred creature with little green wings to recognize him. “Chip?!”

Chip seemed to be a daze. “She’s waking up… I tried to get her to see you’re nice…”

Sally gasped. “Does he mean…?!”

“FOOLISH CELLS!” screamed an unrecognizable voice. “YOU HAVE AWAKENED ME BEFORE THE TIME OF MY CHOOSING, TWICE NOW!”

Everyone’s attention was drawn to a big looming shadow then what was making it.

“THIS INSOLANCE WON’T GO UNANSWERED! TREMBLE BEFORE MY MIGHTY FORM AND PREPARE FOR YOUR MORTAL EXSISTANCES TO…”

The presence was confused as to why none of the others in the cave seemed to be afraid. Then it caught a glimpse of part of itself.

“This isn’t my mighty form!” said a feminine looking creature chip’s size. It resembled a dragon with green eyes, pink scales, little red wings and a couple of horns that while big compared to her head were still quite small. “What puny body is this?!”

Sonic then burst out laughing as he pointed at the creature. “That’s quite a nice look for you ‘Dark Gaia’! And here I was expecting another planet wide calamity!”

“The focus!” the little dragon sprite said. “I was awakened when they used it to siphon the essence of my other half! They not only succeeded but they’ve taken mine as well, that means…!”

“We’ve lost our powers,” said Chip. “Until we get them back, we can’t rejoin the planet.”

Sonic was still laughing at the diminished Dark Gaia who then leered at him. “Sure, it’s funny now but if the proper time of my awakening comes and I’m still not restored the consequences for this world will be disastrous! I demand you restore our power immediately and just maybe I’ll simply return to sleep and let you live out the rest of your incredibly brief lives!”

“That’s the problem,” said Sally. “The man who did it has already escaped. We don’t know where he and his allies are hiding but as long you don’t hurt anyone, we’re willing to let you come with us until we find them.”

“This is what I’ve been trying to tell you,” said Chip. “The people on the surface aren’t just ‘cells’, a lot of them are nice, they’re capable of so much and they’re so eager to do it because they don’t have as much time as we do. Just wait until you try ice cream!”

The dragon sprite sighed. “I suppose I can grace you zygotes with my presence until I can get out of this tiny vessel and back to my full majesty.” She then pointed at the Freedom Fighters. “We start immediately! I’d like you to make SOME progress before I blink, and you expire of what your kind pitifully call old age!”

Sonic smirked. “Not one for casual conversation are you Whip?”

“Whip?”

“People are going to freak out if we call you ‘Dark Gaia’ in public so I’m going to call you Whip. It matches Chip and you seem to be cracking it enough.”

“And it sounds like whipped cream,” said Chip. “That’s something else you’re going to love!”

“…fine, ‘Whip’ will do for now,” the diminished titan growled.

“Is there anything we can do to help?” asked the Nerb King.

“Just keep in touch with us if you see anything else strange,” said Sally. “Especially if you see Amy, Hershey or Fiona again.”

Chip suddenly flew in front of Sonic. “Wait, before Whip and I were brought here I sensed Fiona nearby. I was glad at first because we haven’t talked in a month, but then suddenly it like she was Fiona but someone not her at the same time.”

Gold closed her eyes. “It has to have something to do with that pendant she put on, the one that made her more powerful, but she was more vicious to the Deadly Six too. Just what was that thing?”


Fiona was absorbing a yellow light coming from the ring that was now back floating over one of hands of the idol depicting Ixis, a moment later the light stopped as they both landed on the floor. Fiona moved her hand a large creature appeared that looked like one of the chameleon-like nightmare minions of Dark Gaia only this one was made completely out of stone.

“You have performed exceedingly well today Herald of Earth,” said Specter.

Fiona dismissed the creature and bowed her head her eyes back to their usual blue. “Thank you, my lord. But honestly, I must thank masters Naugus and Witchcart, without this charm they created I wouldn’t have had the power we needed to distract the Deadly Six. It’s odd but I don’t even remember fighting them, maybe I’m starting to get the same illness that befell Amy and Hershey.

“We’ll see once we check on how they are recovering, then the Herald of Chaos can gain command of the earth elementals. First though Naugus and Witchcart should probably be told their experiment was a success and that they should make similar charms for the other Heralds.”

“As you command, my lord.”

With a curtsy Fiona turned and left the chamber, after a short walk she came into a room where Witchcart was looking over a bubbling cauldron and Naugus was leaning on a nearby wall where two more teardrop pendants, one green and one blue, were hung.

“I take it Lord Specter was pleased with our gift to you?”

Fiona gave a wicked grin as her eyes became purple again. “Thanks to knowing when to lay low it looks like he bought it hook, line and sinker!”

The blue pendant glowed purple. “Tell me I can finally take possession of MY new vessel!” came a voice from the pendant.

“I’m sure when it’s time Specter will tell us Suguna,” said Witchcart. “We can’t seem too eager.”

Now the green pendant glowed. “I still don’t like how you these phylacteries you put us in will only work with the Herald who matches our element! If only Naugus’ former apprentice had wings!”

Fiona growled. “At least you aren’t forced to have the body of a female Nusgau!” Fiona looked over herself awkwardly. “I’m still trying to figure out where I can put my hands without making myself aroused by my own body.”

Witchcart groaned as she continued to stir. “Anywhere between your bustline and waist for now. Have you ever dealt with a woman before Agunus?”

“I’m more concerned with your vessel’s mind,” said Naugus. “As nice as it is to finally have my head back to myself, I know Fiona will not be pleased to find you in hers.”

Agunus laughed with Fiona’s voice. “Please she’s totally clueless, she just thinks she had a blackout! She’ll become aware as time goes on, but I’ve already figured her out. She sees her personality going in one of two ways; one I call the marble view, elegant and beautiful, cut by her experiences into a shape she hopes others find pleasing; the other I call the granite view weathering everything the world threw at her by being cold, harsh and unyielding, this view she wants to put behind her. But I see deep down neither is true, no the stone that fits her best is shale, it looks tough and it might even be beautiful, but it’s brittle and cracks easily. Fiona has been cracked so many times and took the other view saying she got it wrong but when I’m through with her she’ll see herself as she truly is, and the little shale will never want to come out ever again.”

“Perhaps Nusgau can pull something like that off with Geoffrey,” said Saguna. “But Lucian has had a relatively happy life, how I am supposed to subdue him into giving me permanent control?”

“You’ll have to get into his head,” said Naugus. “Perhaps by threatening his lovely new bride. But we need to have the girl check in on the rest of the elite for now. Our little coup within a coup needs perfect timing but when it’s over the we’ll be the ones ruling the world.”

“Alright, I’ll let the shale out.” Agunus’ eyes stopped glowing as his vessel looked like she was suddenly off balance.

“There you have a clean bill of health Fiona,” said Witchcart. “No need for me to give you any potions.”

“Uh, thank you master Witchcart,” Fiona said. She turned and saw the two pendants hanging on the wall. “You’re making more charms, one for each of us I take it.”

“They aren’t ready yet,” Naugus. “Why don’t we met up with the elite and see if Amy and Hershey are feeling any better?”

“Oh right, thank you again.”

Fiona left the room and went to the dining hall that still had elements left over from when their temple was a prison. She was surprised to find that instead of looking ill the other two girls seemed to be devouring a chosen meal with gusto. Next to Amy was a couple of untouched strawberry cupcakes while a couple of jars of pickles and peanut butter were now half empty. Hershey had a raw tuna that was almost as large as she in front of her and was tearing into it like a mobini alley cat. Their husbands stood nearby stupefied.

“When I heard she was sick I thought some of her favorite treats would cheer her up,” said Lucian. “But instead one whiff turned her stomach and she just started mixing things together until she found something she liked.”

“You alright luv?” Geoffrey came close only for Hershey to hiss at him then get teary eyed.

“I’m SO sorry! I haven’t done anything right today! What is happening to us?!”

“I think it is quite clear,” Specter said as he came in. “The potions I gave you worked.”

“But those potions were a reward,” Amy gasped. “Why reward us with something that has side effects this bad?”

“Your condition wasn’t caused by the potion itself but rather because of the second and third effects and what those would do to your bodies in turn. You see soon after Cyrus the Conqueror had secured rule of their tribe he and Morgana’s hold was still tenuous because the Acorn clan consisted only of the two of them and needed to grow fast. Morgana first concocted that potion to solve that problem in the short time they had and so gave it three effects. The first was as an exceptionally powerful aphrodisiac, which you can clearly attest to, the second increased the fertility of those who imbued the potion even inducing heat into the female to guarantee conception.”

Lucian felt his knees give way. “My lord, are you telling me that Amy is pregnant?”

“The grand design has very special roles for your children and you will meet them very soon. The third effect quickens the growth of the child while in the womb, what normally occurs over nine months will instead take days. The intensity of the illness the Heralds of Chaos and Fire is simply the normal side effects of pregnancy on an accelerated timetable and before you ask once they are born the children grow up normally, raising and educating them is another task I have for you. Morgana and Cyrus ended up having sixteen children thanks to this potion leading to a very strong bloodline, your children will do even greater things for Ixis.”

“We’re having a baby!” Hershey cheered. “We’re having a baby!”

“It finally feels like everything we went through is going to be worth it,” said Geoffrey.

“Congratulations everyone!” said Fiona.

Naugus growled as Mogul came near. “These children are going to complicate things.”

“Perhaps,” Mogul said before thinking to himself. “I better keep an eye on this, if Specter is playing the long game than so will I.”

“We’re going to be parents,” said Lucian. “I still can’t believe it.”

Amy was feeling bewildered. “This is all happening so fast, I…I didn’t think I’d be a mother so soon, but I do want this. Sonic and everyone will see that this all really is for the best,” Amy turned to her own stomach and began to cradle it. “When that happens, I can’t for them to meet you, my baby.”


Marine’s fists were shaking, it was just her, Blaze, Silver and Gold in the room that night and they made sure no one else was listening. “That…that’s so horrible!”

“I understand if you don’t want to help us,” said Blaze. “But if we don’t let these things happen our home will be a much different place. Marine you can’t tell ANYBODY about this, not the people back home, not Sonic, not Ray, nobody.”

“I…get it and I’ll help you, it’s only because of all that rotten stuff that we were able to be friends at all. But it’s not just the people here who got hurt by this, you all could have had normal happy lives with your families but instead you had nothing. As young as I was when I lost ‘em I still remember mum and dad, but you blokes don’t even have that. Now there’s a chance you can get back what you should have, you could just wait until the right moment to act, but you can’t do it without hurtin’ a lot of people. That’s just not who you ya are sis, that’s not who any of you are.”

“I hadn’t even thought about it,” said Silver. “Guess I’m still naïve, but no the price of a ruined future is too high.”

“It won’t be long,” said Gold. “But the closer we get to our goal the more the Freedom Fighters will suffer. But there’s something else I’m worried about, the way Amy, Hershey and Fiona couldn’t even see or hear us, or remember anything we were involved in has convinced be beyond a doubt, the Interloper is somehow connected to the Order of Ixis, but I still can’t figure out how.”

“You think it’s Specter?” asked Blaze.

“Perhaps, but what he’s trying to and what happened don’t seem to match up. The Interloper set up a totalitarian regime, Specter is either ensuring the domination of a cult or the release of a malevolent god, neither of which seemed to have happened by the two hundred years the Imperium was in control of. We only found one piece of the puzzle; we don’t know how it fits with Sonic’s death.”

“Heck we don’t even know what the picture is supposed to look like,” said Silver. “All we know is that the top priority is keeping Sonic alive, if he survives the attempt on his life then we win.”

“In that case we better get some rack time,” said Marine. “Specter now has two of the elemental essences while we got one safe, tomorrow everybody and their gran will be looking for the Air essence. I wouldn’t be surprised if your interloper makes his move then.

“You guys go ahead,” said Blaze. “I still have to keep watch on Sonic.”

“Right, night sis.”

Blaze left but after a couple of blocks she stopped. Her past was always a mystery to her but now she knew where she came from, after a few moments the princess and mistress of the sol emeralds did something she never recalled doing in her entire life, she broke down crying.

Notes:

Whip is the OC of Cylent-Nite, check out their awesome artwork here. https://www.deviantart.com/cylent-nite

Chapter 16: Babylon Drive

Summary:

After a tearful goodbye and a sudden theft the Freedom Fighters get a chance to get an elemental essence before the Order of Ixis by teaming up with unlikely allies.

Chapter Text

Snively walked down the hall nervously, his fingers drumming on the datapad that had his proposal. Viktor knowing about a coup with the Order of Ixis was one thing, allowing him to help was another. The chance to finish off Sonic was the most insisting part but for what Regina wanted Snivley would have to convince Robotnick that he should be the one to lead the operation, something Viktor would doubt he could pull off.

He came to the room Phage marked Viktor was currently in, one he would have never expected to find a Robotnick before, the gym. The door opened and he found Viktor and Lilith across from each other in white gi and between them to the side was a modified drone. The two villains bowed to each other.

“Yoi,” the drone said.

 Viktor and Lilith then moved from a bow to a fighting stance.

“Hajime!”

At the drone’s word the two began making punches and kicks at each other. Most were blocked or dodged but then Lilith saw a chance to grab Viktor’s ankle and from there he was on the ground with her ready to deliver a blow to his face.

“Yame!”

Lilith let go allowing Viktor to stand.

“You’re getting better,” the scientist said. “That was the first round you won.”

“Would you rather she let you win?” asked Snively. “That’s what your predecessors would have me do.”

“If you did that, I’d fire you, out of cannon if it was to suck up to me.”

Snively gulped. “Noted.”

“So, what brings you here?” Lilith asked.

Snively handed over the datapad. “I have an operation that requires your approval and halt on advancement to a small area in order to complete it. If successful it that would allow us to further the coup attempt within the Order of Ixis to our favor. I would also like to request to lead the operation.”

Lilith read over the mission. “The area in question we can momentarily reallocate the forces to support the main offensive in that zone and the equipment you have requested shouldn’t affect our current operations, provided you select robots on standby with a resource allocation value below D.”

“But D is what we give to non-essential drones and war machines scheduled for decommissioning, what could be lower than that?”

Viktor smirked. “You should know, you brought them onboard.”

Snively began to feel his knees knock. “The Super Special Sonic Search and Smash Squad?”

“This seems to be a low stakes mission, a way to give the Order some money and thus a way we can make them think we still trust them. But I can tell the real reason, you’re getting a little stir crazy staying on board this ship and you’re hoping this will let you spend time with your girlfriend, so if it makes you feel better you can do this, we can find out if this supposed uprising against Specter is the real deal, but I can’t allow you to risk actual military assets on this little day out.”

“But Regina also said this could be our big chance to eliminate Sonic the Hedgehog, permanently! To that end I was hoping to borrow the Neo Metal Series.”

“If the Hedgehog is involved, he’ll suspect a trap as soon as he sees this,” Viktor then flicked Snively’s nose. “I can’t pull the Metal Series from active combat on such short notice, just try to succeed on the primary objective. As for Sonic I will be spending that time testing a prototype that in combination with our forces should take care of him and any other annoyance. The S6 should provide enough of a distraction for the order to pull off whatever hocus pocus they plan.”

“But Doctor…”

“My decision is final. I suggest you prepare yourself and the S6 for your mission, but I’m not expecting miracles.”

Snively slumped his shoulders as he began to leave the gym. “Neither am I.”

Once the henchman was out the door Lilith raised an eyebrow. “You still haven’t picked a testing ground for the prototypes, if Sonic is going to be there why not use them there and see what they are really made of? Plus, he’ll never see it coming if even Snively doesn’t know.”

Viktor gave a playful smirk. “Every day you remind me that you’re nearly as smart as I am.”

Lilith smirked back “Our last match would say it’s more than nearly.”

“The how about another round to know for sure?”

The two Ai controlled super humans went back to the mat as the Drone resumed its task.

“Yoi, Hajime!”


The Sky Patrol had landed in the meadow being careful not to disturb the young trees that began sprouting in the area. For many it was a still a hard sight to bear, for most of their lives this place Knothole, was home, and after so many attempts by Robotnick it was finally wiped of the map by Eggman. Nature had begun to take the place back, the blasted crater was now covered in grass and saplings began to sprout, it felt right that no matter what their enemies threw at Knothole it would always grow back. But it still felt somber, in large part because of what they came here to do.

Sally was leading most of the team, plus Gold and Silver, to the edge of the clearing and they crossed into the woods just outside the limits of the old city. “It was about here…” She then noticed an old tree stump between two pine trees. “That’s it, that’s where we first met.”

Rotor took out a familiar looking handheld computer with tears in his eyes. “I never thought when I made this as a backup for Nicole it would turn out to be her original handheld.” He looked back at the device. “Are you sure you’re ok with this Nikki? There’s nothing else you want to do before you go?”

“It’s been a wonderful month Dad,” said Nikki who was now practically undistinguishable from Nicole back in the day. “Visiting Iceborough with Mom and meeting Grandma and Uncle Skeeter, going to that Forget-me-Knots concert, letting me fly the Sky Patrol here all by myself, it’s been fun…but it had to end sometime.”

“I know, but it doesn’t make letting go any easier.”

“Dad, I’m…still going to be here, just a little older, a little wiser…”

“And I can’t let you know that. That’s the real hard part, I knew it would necessary to lock your early memories away and you’d have to lose your body until you make it your own, but you can’t know what is really going to happen you, that, you’re going to become mortal like us. The temptation to change that would be strong, maybe too strong, and it might end up keeping you from helping us stop the gene bombs. I’m afraid those memories are never coming back, at least not until you’re on the other side of them.”

“Is that why you treated me to so much?”

“It feels like… finding out your child has a terminal illness, and even without the becoming a physical being thing, after this…you won’t be Nikki anymore.”

“That’s not true, even if I can’t remember I’ll always be your Nikki deep inside.” Now it looked like it was Nikki’s turn to cry. “Thank you all for seeing me off, you’ve been as much of family to me as Dad is. I understand why the future me didn’t want to leave the Sky Patrol, but I still wish she was still here.”

“She gave you some good advice when you said your goodbyes,” said Sally. “And from what I remember about our time together you’ll follow it.”

Tails produced an orange gem from a bag. “Time stone’s ready, all that’s really left is to make the final changes to Nikki’s program.”

Sonic put a hand on Rotor’s shoulder. “If it’s too hard for you I could…”

Rotor shook his head. “No, I knew this had to happen from the beginning, it’s got to be me.” He turned back to the handheld. “Ready?”

“As ready as I’ll ever be,” Nikki said with a teary smile. Rotor pushed a few buttons and the image of Nikki wavered then disappeared, a second later a single line passed through the middle of the screen. “I’ll see you all a few years in the past.” Nikki said as the line moved to her vocalization.

“And we’ll see you again in a few minutes,” said Sally. “So, you have that to look forward to.”

The time stone glowed in Tail’s hand as he set it down on the stump. A flash of light later and the handheld vanished leaving the stone behind.

Rotor sank to his knees and softly sobbed, Sally put a reassuring hand on his shoulder. “You and Nicole should have a long talk about this, the trip back to Little Planet to return the time stone should be long enough.”

“Thank you,” the walrus said with a smile. After wiping his tears, the team made their way back to the Sky Patrol. “We can have it over lunch, Nikki always wondered what ice cream tasted like and Nicole loves it.

“Sounds good to me,” said Silver. “Is Sonic making chili dogs or is Antoine going to whip up one of those fancy meals he likes?”

Sally suddenly looked determined. “Actually, I’ll be cooking for everyone today.”

Antione and Sonic moved in front of the princess. “In that case maybe we should all go with a healthy salad or cold cut sandwiches would be nice…”

Sally growled at Sonic. “I’m making clam chowder, that should be simple enough without slapping together whatever’s in the fridge. I know what you’re trying but I WILL make up for last night.”

“Are we missing something?” asked Gold.

Bunnie sighed. “Sally Girl went to the Hedgehogs’ place last night and made dinner for them after she asked Twan to give her cooking lessons. Neither…went very well.”

“That was a fluke, I’ve done my part in the kitchen before,” said Sally. “Miss Rosie made sure everyone in Knothole contributed in the day to day running of the place, including kitchen duty.”

“What did she let you cook?” asked Silver.

Sally began to tick off a count on her fingers. “Scrambled eggs, macaroni and cheese, peanut butter and jelly…”

“Uh, those are all meals kids can make,” said Tails. “What did you try to make Sonic last night?”

“I was cooking a pot roast with potatoes and carrots. I admit the roast was burnt and the veggies came out a bit overdone, but it was an improvement over my first attempt.”

“Which set my beautiful kitchen on fire,” grumbled Antione. “Now we need a new stove.”

“Well I say give her another chance,” said Rotor as they came in sight of the Sky Patrol. “We’ll be there to help her and after saying goodbye to Nikki, fighting a war against Robotnick and the Order of Ixis having two of these elemental beings they’re after if the worst we have to deal with is bad cooking then…”

Suddenly the aircraft roared to life and began to rise.

“Why is Nicole leaving without us?!” yelled Silver.

“She wouldn’t,” said Sonic. “Which means somebody’s jacking our ride!”

Sonic dashed ahead and got through the hatch just before it closed, the mobile base began moving too fast and too high for the rest of the team to catch up.

“No!” yelled Rotor. “Come back, Nikki!!!”


Sonic went straight to the bridge and peeked in. Nicole, Chip and Whip were all tied up next to the captain’s chair and at the helm sat a Raven girl with yellow eyes and wearing a violet hooded jacket along with a many pouched belt as well as a headset she was talking into with a cockney accent.

“The plan worked like a charm. I should be getting to the rendezvous point any moment now.”

Sonic moved at blinding speed, first untying Nicole and the gaias’ bonds, using the same rope to tie up the raven then hitting a button causing the ship to slow down and hover in place.

“Oi! What’s this?!” As she fell to the floor the earpiece came off and from under the jacket a gold medallion came lose that depicted an Arabian style lamp shaped like a bird spewing clouds.

“Corva?!” came a familiar voice on the earpiece. “What was that?! What’s your status?!”

Sonic spoke into mic on the earpiece. “Her status is buttkicked, which is what you’re going to be soon Jet.”

On the bridge of his airship the green hawk laughed. “I guess Corva’s stealth and Wave’s planning weren’t a match for your speed after all. But If you’ll look through your viewport, you’ll find you’ve gotten out of the frying pan and into the fire.”

 Sonic looked through the large window and saw the red and gold airship of the Babylon Rouges dead ahead.

“We have our weapons trained on you, so let our newest member go and we’ll call it even. You better answer quickly, Storm is very… protective of our little raven. So, what do you say?”

The only answer they had was the Sky Patrol firing a large cannon followed by the ship shaking.

“The hard way it is then, Wave target their engines so we can bring them down without hurting Corva in the process…”

“I can’t!” said Wave.

Muscular albatross towered the inventive swallow. “If you have to hurt Corva…!”

“No, I mean all our weapons have been knocked out!”

“In one shot!?” squawked Jet.

“Nope,” Sonic said from the door. “That cannon just shot me over and I took out all your guns myself.”

Jet pulled out a pair of fans made of green feathers. “Well played but now it’s three on one AND I’m armed with my Bashōsen!”

Suddenly Sonic ran around them in a circle blindly fast and soon a sudden tornado threw the rouges against the ceiling before they fell back to the floor.

“It’s over,” said Sonic as he put his foot on Jet’s fans. “Now here’s my counteroffer, once Nicole brings Sally and the others back with the Sky Patrol, you’re going to join your little blackbird as we explain why you shouldn’t take things that don’t belong to you.”

Jet made an angry growl.


 After picking up the rest to the Freedom Fighters they gathered in the sky Patrol’s rec room with the Babylon Rouges being closely watched on the couch. Rotor and Nicole stopped a conversation they were having when Sally turned to the band of thieves.

“Trying to steal a military grade airship, I hope you realize just how much trouble you’re in.”

“We stole plenty of stuff,” said Wave. “It was just something a bit bigger than usual this time.”

“I’m talking about your current situation, allow me to jog your memory. During the Phantom Ruby War Infinite had subjugated and brainboxed the Battle Bird Armada, once that happened the Babylon Rouges were marked to be arrested on sight throughout Mobius. You turned to the Resistance to keep from getting brainboxed yourselves and had been part of several successful missions, including destroying Heavy Rider. When the war ended the Battle Bird Armada found itself surrounded by the Resistance air fleet and was forced to surrender, Great Battle Kukku the XV, his son Speedy and the scientist Dr. Fukurokov were arrested and are serving time in prison, the armada was disbanded permanently. For your aid you were given amnesty for past crimes like most legionnaires with the same caveat that this amnesty would be revoked if you committed another crime. Your little stunt means that you’re going to be put on trial for every crime you ever committed and almost certainly be sentenced to a long prison term.”

“I still think those terms were too restrictive,” said Jet. “We couldn’t do anything we were used to, since when was treasure hunting a crime?”

“What you, Rouge, Nicolette and Fiona call treasure hunting most nations call grave robbing.”

“What about your pal Knuckles? He did his fare share of ‘treasure hunting’.”

“Only to retrieve echidna relics that as a Guardian was his duty to safeguard, so he’s more of a treasure protector. Last I checked the Sky Patrol wasn’t the ancient property of the Babylonians.”

“We weren’t going to keep this bucket,” said Storm. “Just hide it from Sonic until the race was over.”

Jet growled. “Sure, tell them all our plans!”

Sonic came towards Jet. “What race?”

The Rouges looked shocked. “You didn’t even know?! We planned all of this for nothing?!”

Tails sighed. “What a waste, if this thing is an Extreme Gear race, you’d have probably won it if you played fair, instead you won’t be able to compete in it or any other race for a long time.”

“I still want to know what race you’re talking about,” said Sonic.

Wave turned to Sally. “Can we use your tv for a couple of minutes?”

After Sally nodded Wave was watched closely as she fiddled with the big screen opposite the couch. The tv shown a teal hedgehog woman with blue tipped quills at what looked like a set of ruins with a desert off in the distance. “Attention all Extreme Gear pros!” she said. “Breezie the Hedgehog here to remind you time’s running out to register for Studiopolis TV’s event of the year, the Babylonian Cup sponsored by Mammoth Enterprises! Taking place at the remains of an ancient civilization that until a recent massive sandstorm had been buried in Dune Valley Zone, the Babylonian Cup offers the most intense Extreme Gear challenge to date. How intense is it? I’m near the starting gate, the edge of a massive twenty-story tower that beforehand was completely buried by the sands. Racers have to handle a two-hundred-foot dive and that’s just the beginning of the race!”

Bunnie fumed. “Finding an ancient ruin and instead of treating it with respect she’s using it as a racecourse. Can she get any tackier?”

The advertisement then cut to Breezie inside of some sort of shrine as she posed in front of a trophy as it was being topped with an ancient looking brass lamp that looked like the symbol of the Babylon Rouges. “Whoever wins this race will walk away with the Babylonian Cup and one and a half million Mobiums in prize money!”

“Oui,” said Antione. “By taking an ancient relic and sticking it on a chintzy trophy.”

“Registration can be done over the Infonet, but space is running out and the deadline is midnight tonight! The green flag will be waved tomorrow at noon sharp so if you want to join you better hurry before this chance is gone with the wind!”

Sonic shook his head. “As much as I’d have liked to kick your tailfeathers in a race we’re a little busy to…”

“Wait!” Whip suddenly shouted. “Can you replay the part where they showed that, trophy as you called it?”

Tails looked confused. “Yeah, but why…?”

“Please,” Chip interrupted. “I felt the same thing she did, and if it is what I think it is we have to be sure.”

Tails rewound the image and paused it on the trophy.

“Hmm,” Whip said as she came closer to the screen. “It’s faint since this is just a recording, but I feel a powerful essence coming from that object they put on top of it. At first I thought it might have been my essence but now I can tell it’s something different yet also oddly familiar.”

Corva now compared the lamp to her medallion. “Wait, if those are the ruins of the city of Babylon and the Tower of Babel then could the legends be true? Did that woman really find the Lamp of Angelus?”

Sally stood between the tv and the Rouges. “Listen carefully because your freedom could very well depend on it. What is the Lamp of Angelus?”

“Nothin’,” said Storm. “It’s an old wives’ tale, a story that old timers used to tell hatchlings to explain urges that are just…what did Wave call ‘em? Oh yeah, holdovers from when our ancestors were mobini.”

“I thought the Babylonians came from space,” said Gold. “At least from what I read.”

“The Babylonians did spend a long-time using Babylon Garden to travel the galaxy and grow their treasure hold,” said Wave. “But they came from Mobius originally and were stranded when they returned home once the Cosmic Ark began to become unstable. The ancient Babylonians were just as Mobian as all of us.”

“And if Babylon Garden and the Cosmic Ark were real,” interrupted Corva. “Then the Lamp of Angelus ain’t that much of a stretch.”

“We fought Angelus before you joined,” said Jet. “He was just a holographic defense system the ancient Babylonians left to protect the key to Babylon Garden.”

“Or they based the hologram on the real Angelus!”

Sonic impatiently tapped his foot. “We’re still waiting for an answer!”

Corva sighed. “Well, this is what me Gran told me when I was little. A long time ago, even before Babylon Garden, nearly all the Mobian birds had the gift of flight thanks to their wings. The other tribes were jealous of this gift and chased them away. In time the disparate bird species came together, they flew high into clouds in search of a land to call their own and it was in the skies they found Angelus.

“Angelus, also known as the Gatekeeper and the Guardian of Babylon, was a great spirit of the air, at times fierce as lightning but he could also be as gentle as a caressing breeze. He took pity on the birds and guided them to the middle of a great desert where there was a vast oasis filled with pure water, luscious fruit and plentiful game. ‘This is your home now’ he told them ‘I give you the name of a great people long since passed, from this day forth this land shall be known as Babylon and you are the Babylonians’.

“The Babylonians worshiped Angelus as their patron deity, they built a city around the oasis and a temple that reached into the sky called the Tower of Babel. But Angelus wasn’t the type to stay in one place for very long, he came and went from Babylon as he pleased and for a time it was a paradise. But one day while Angelus was away a stranger came to Babylon offering knowledge and powerful gifts, all the Babylonians had to do in return was take the wealth and weapons of the stranger’s enemies. The Babylonians took the offer and began to steal from all but the stranger’s allies, confident that even the greatest armies wouldn’t be able to chase them through the desert they simply flew over. Greed and pride took hold in their hearts, but then Angelus returned.

“The sky god was as furious as the storm. ‘I gave you clean water and bountiful food, yet you still want more, I gave you a home safe from your enemies and you use it to hoard the belongings of others! But you are my children, all will be forgiven if you return what you stole.’ The Babylonians were unrepentant, confident that the stranger’s gifts made them even mightier than their god. They used those gifts to seal Angelus away in a lamp they kept within the tower they once worshiped him in. But just before he was sealed Angelus placed a curse on Babylon and its people, within a day the oasis dried up, a week after that a fierce sandstorm had swallowed up the city burying even the mighty Tower of Babel. But worst of all as the Babylonians began wandering again their wings started to wither away, cutting them off from the sky forever.

“Angered at Angelus for taking the one thing that made them special the Babylonians again turned to the stranger’s gifts and built new ways to take to the air without their wings so they could continue stealing. Ultimately, they made Babylon Garden and flew to the stars in search of more to steal, but it was never enough to replace what they lost. Their amassed treasures began to feel meaningless and so the Babylonians returned to Mobius and went their separate ways. Ever since their descendants took their place among the people of Mobius, each trying to find the answer to the question that drove the Babylonians ever since they lost their gift.”

Corva took a longing gaze at both her medallion and the back of her arm. “What are we without the sky?”

“But we haven’t lost the sky,” said Wave. “Between Extreme Gear, airships and other tech we can fly just as well, if not better than if we did have wings, heck every generation has genetic throwbacks like Predator Hawk who CAN fly!”

“Did you ever see some of the dirty looks the rest of the grunts gave ‘em?!” snapped Corva. “Most of ‘em were jealous of what that creep could do!”

“She doesn’t know what she’s talking about,” said Jet. “Corva only joined the Rouges nine months ago…”

“I know exactly what I’m talking about! The Armada, the Rouges, even the birds in places like Freedom City are living a lie! We were hatched for more!” The raven then began to cry.

The Freedom Fighters began to move in on Corva when Storm put a big hand on her shoulder. “Corva, what’s wrong? You can tell me that, you can tell me anything.”

Corva sniffed. “Remember when we were blasted by the gene bombs? I became as dumb as doorknobs but as a Mobini I had wings.”

“Yeah, we all did.”

“Whenever we weren’t eatin’ or sleepin’ we flew, we were so happy just flitting through the air not a care in the world, then we were changed back. I’m glad I got me marbles back wouldn’t wish otherwise, but I remember what it was like to fly under my own power. It just felt right, then it was ripped away, I never understood what me gran’s stories meant until then. I can sneak in anywhere with no one knowing and pinch whatever I want, I could nick every jewel, coin and Mobium in the world and it still wouldn’t be worth as much flying through the air with nothing but the wind beneath my wings. What are we without the sky? Absolutely nothin’.”

Storm tilted Corva’s beak so she was looking at his eyes. “Not to me, if I got wings and you didn’t, I’d give them up for you if I could.”

Corva wiped her tears away. “I’m so glad I got soultouched with you, ya big lug.”

“Storm has a girlfriend?” Sonic said surprised.

Wave grabbed Jet’s hand with a giggle. “He’s not the only one.”

Jet blushed. “Let’s wait to talk about that until after we find out what that lamp has to do with us staying out of jail.”

Sally looked at the Freedom Fighters. “An imprisoned sky god with who can summon storms powerful enough to bury a city in the desert for thousands of years? Sounds like a prime candidate for the Essence of Air to me. Not only that the play the Society of the Great Illumination performed implies that it was Morgana Acorn who was the stranger in that story AND the company sponsoring the race is owned by Mammoth Mogul. If the Order of Ixis hasn’t figured out this lamp has one of essences they’re looking for yet, then they will soon.”

Sonic smirked. “I get it, we’re going to enter the race, win that lamp and keep it out of Masquerade’s grubby hands!”

“That’s plan B, for plan A I’d like to convince this Breezie woman to just let us have the lamp without letting her know what it really is, but I’m not getting my hopes up.”

“What if her boss tells her to just give the lamp to the Order regardless of who wins the race?” asked Rotor.

Sally sighed. “Then we go to plan C.”

Nicole raised an eyebrow. “And what’s plan C?”

Sally turned to the Babylon Rouges. “We help you do what you do best. I’m willing to ignore Corva’s little joyride with the Sky Patrol, but on the condition that you help us secure the lamp. The more entrants we have in the race the more likely we’ll be to win it, but if things go south, we may have to steal the lamp to keep it from Specter. Consider yourselves drafted into the Freedom Fighters.”

Jet moved to over to Sally. “Alright you can have the trophy, at least I get a chance to beat Sonic in a race.”

“Don’t count on it,” said the Blue Blur.

“I’m in but I disagree with this plan,” said Corva. “You’re missing the obvious solution, if that is the Lamp of Angelus then we have to set him free! Then maybe, he’ll see our people have changed and he’ll give us our wings back.”

“That sounds like the worst idea,” said Silver. “Whenever one of these hyper energy organisms has been released it usually means widescale destruction. Look what happened with Iblis, Chaos, Dark Gaia...” Silver turned to Whip. “No offence.”

“None taken,” said Whip as she crossed her arms in a huff. “But only because you all seem to have failed to spot the pattern with the three of us, a pattern which applies to Angelus too.”

Tails answered first. “And that pattern is?”

Whip glared at everyone. “The annoying tendency of cells like you to treat gods like us with such flagrant disrespect! Eggman forced me to awaken before my time and instead of an orderly destruction that would aid creation I lashed out as if I was trapped in a nightmare! Echidna sought the Super Emeralds under Chaos’ protection to use as a weapon and he destroyed their civilization! Iblis, a being I recognize as a nascent god, was unwittingly thrown together with a malevolent alien intelligence by ignorant human scientists when they tried to make a god as they envisioned it instead of letting Iblis form itself naturally! Angelus had offered mercy to the Babylonians and they sealed him away in their arrogance bringing his judgement down on their heads! You play with fire then wonder why you get burned, but then again it seems to be a lesson that takes longer to learn than your meager lifespans allow. But this girl has an inkling of the right idea, justice demands Angelus must be released.”

“You have a point, he was treated unfairly,” said Sally. “But freeing Angelus won’t stop the Order of Ixis from trying to take his power for their own. If we free Angelus and they go after him another city could suffer the same fate as Babylon. Until we stop Specter and determine what freeing Angelus would do it would be safer to keep the lamp and the Black Emerald somewhere secure.”

Whip growled. “You’re trying to control who has control of a god, it’s like you weren’t listening at all!”

“Angelus helped the Babylonians once so he sounds like someone I can reason with,” said Chip. “I’m sure I can get him to see their descendants have changed for the better, but he could be captured like Iblis or drained of his power like Whip and I were. I’m going to convince him that he must stay put until the danger has passed and hopefully, he’ll forgive the Babylonians once he is released.”

“Looks like we have a plan,” said Sally. “Nicole get on the Infonet and try to register at least three spots in the race for our team, preferably four or five but as many as you can. Tails, once our new ‘friends’ get back on their ship and we drop off the time stone, get us to Dune Valley Zone as fast as the Sky Patrol can take us.”

“We’re already registered so the Babylon Rouges are good to go!” Jet beamed.

Wave raised her hand. “I could whip up some modifications for your Extreme Gear too, it might give us all an edge.”

Sally nodded. “Only if they fit in with the rules of the race. Freedom Fighters need to keep a positive image, so we win fairly or not at all.”

“And if you don’t win the Rouges steal the lamp for you and you keep your squeaky-clean image,” grumbled Storm.

“I’d rather not steal it, but the fate of the world is probably at stake. We can’t take options off the table at this point.”

Tails began to move out. “If we leave now should get to Dune Valley Zone by the end of the day. Then we can talk with Breezie before dinner and a good night’s sleep.”

“We better get back to our ship then,” said Corva.

Sonic pointed at the Rogues. “In that case I’ll see you at the finish line.”

Jet pointed back. “Yeah, when I get there first!”

Bunnie came up to Sally. “You don’t think Sonic and Jet’s rivalry will…”

“It can be a problem,” said Sally. “But it could also push them into first place, so we’ll let the boys have their fun for now.”

Everyone had left except Chip and Whip.  “You’re only going to hurt yourself you know,” said the sprite like dragon.

Chip turned back. “What do you mean?”

“This connection with those cells you made.”

Chip turned to her frustrated. “They’re people, not cells and this connection is called friendship.”

“We are going to live as long this planet does, by comparison their lives are infinitesimal, a subatomic section of the great expanse of time. Now you’re enjoying another romp with this Sonic but one day he will die while we’ll still have billions of years before us, billions of years in which you’ll miss him. Despite our different natures I don’t want to see you hurt. We’re not friends, we’re not siblings, we’re two halves of a greater whole, what you feel I can feel, and I don’t want to feel you being sad for eons.”

Chip sighed. “I might have lost my memory while you were in your nightmare, but once I got it back and I knew I had to leave Sonic still wanted to see the journey to the end. I realized a lot of things then, but one was that death isn’t really the end for them. They leave a legacy, one that is taken up by those who will come next. Sonic made his mark on this world and he’ll keep making his mark on those who come after him as will everyone else. Maybe a single life is fleeting but together it’s like they never left at all.”

“So, your friendship with Sonic is going to be your friendship with the living things of this planet as a whole?”

“Yeah you could say that.”

Whip shrugged her shoulders. “Well if you want a pet, I suppose your options are limited.”

Chip smiled. “Alright we’re making progress, sort of.”


That evening the Rouge’s airship and the Sky Patrol had parked near the ruins in the desert. As the Freedom Fighters came into the ruins, they noticed several people were starting to settle down in tents for the night. While there were quite a few racing enthusiasts and they noticed just as many others, mostly Mobian birds, were displaying protest signs saying things like “Free Babylon” or “Our history is not your finish line”.

Jet noticed a few angry glares. “Huh, I guess there were more people like Corva’s grandmother than I thought.”

Sonic looked around at the crumbling architecture, from seeing buildings with the only entries big enough to go in and out on elevated floors he could see it being occupied by a people who could fly. “If this really is Babylon, I’m surprised its discovery didn’t make the news.”

“There hasn’t been enough conclusive evidence one way or the other,” said Nicole. “I’ve read up the situation on the Infonet, archaeologists want to come in and examine the ruins more closely but can’t because this whole zone is disputed territory between the GUN forces at Shamar and the Robotnick Ascendancy. I’m surprised this race was allowed at all; the way the frontlines shift around here these ruins could become a battlefield really easily.”

“Well Mammoth Mogul has some really deep pockets,” said Wave. “There had to bribes somewhere.”

“The fighting around here is all the more reason I hope plan A works,” said Sally. “If we can get Breezie to give the lamp then maybe we get her to call off this race and get all these civilians to evacuate.”

Jet shook his head. “With all the money she already sunk into this race, fat chance.”

“We won’t know unless we try, where can we find her?”

“There’s supposed to be a pre-race party starting soon that she’s hosting,” said Tails. “Racers and VIP spectators are supposed to be in attendance, it’s off limits to everyone else.”

“How many spots did we get?” asked Sonic.

“Four, we got the last spots,” said Rotor. “The registration process was suspiciously easy, no proof for experience needed, no qualifying run, just a valid ID and a small entry fee. To give us the best chance You, Tails, Sally and Silver are our racers and with the Babylon Rouges our total team is at eight.”

“How many are participating in total?” asked Sally.

“Normally an Extreme Gear race has about eight to ten participants but this one brought on three times the field at thirty.”

“Which means all things being equal we have just over a one in four chance of winning, I was hoping for better odds than that.”

“Actually, I looked up zhe odds from Casino Night Zone,” said Antione. “Once Sonic signed up, he became zhe odds-on favorite to win at two to one with Jet coming close at two and a half to one, everyone seems to think it will be one of zhe two of you.”

“Which means we got this in the bag,” bragged Sonic. “We just have to make sure the Pick-a-Card club doesn’t pull any funny business then once we hide the Wind and Water Essences all we have to worry about is finding what rock Masquerade is hiding under.”

“That does make me feel better,” said Sally. “What are my odds?”

Antione went through the listing. “Sadly, your near zhe bottom along with…” the coyote’s eyes widened. “We have a new problem, Geoffrey and Lucian are in the race!”

Tails’ namesakes began to twitch. “They’re probably here on Specter’s orders, which means he knows about Angelus.”

“Zhat’s not all, we have three more unwelcome participants. Scratch, Coconuts and Snively have entered as well.”

Sonic felt his jaw drop. “So, have to deal the flunkies of Masquerade AND Mr. Perfect?!”

Sally gave a hard look at the tower. “Not if we can shut this race down, the racing team has a party to attend. Bunnie, Niccole, Antione, Rotor, Gold, since you guys aren’t racing, I have two important jobs for you. Your top priority to try to find where the lamp is and make sure the Order and Robotnick don’t take it, Chip and Whip seem to be able to sense it so take them along. The second job is actually an extension of the first, I wouldn’t be surprised if either the Order or Robotnick’s plan to get the lamp is to win it by cheating, you can’t interfere in the race but if they try it interfere with them.”

Bunnie winked. “Like Uncle Beau says, ‘cheaters never prosper, but they always get a bionic boot up the backside’!”

Sally gave a confident smile. “Good. Alright racers, let’s go meet out hostess.”

The four entered the base of the tower which was a shrine that was decked out to host a small gala. While there were many people dressed in formal outfits there were also many dressed in their whatever was their preferred racing attire was. Once the Freedom Fighters and Babylon Rouges came in a several cameras turned in their direction either snapping photos or recording their every move.

They spotted the trophy they saw on tv and Breezie was standing next to it waving to them. “And the favorites are here at last! I was afraid you wouldn’t even sign up Sonic.”

“Freedom Fighters are always willing to go that extra mile for a good cause,” Sally said. “We’re partnering up with the Babylon Rouges and all prize money both teams win in this race will be donated to the Julayla Memorial War Orphans fund.”

“Sonic the Hedgehog and Jet the Hawk!” Breeize said to the cameras. “Two rivals in speed putting aside their differences for good of the children!”

The crowd erupted in applause.

“We agreed you could keep the lamp!” Jet angrily whispered to Sally. “You never said anything about giving up the money!”

“Just giving plan A the best chance of succeeding,” Sally whispered back to him. “You’ll get a reasonable compensation once the mission’s over, considering you could go to jail instead.” Sally then turned back to Breezie. “Sadly, as much I want to make the lives of those orphans easier my first responsibility to ensure the safety of the people. When I signed up I didn’t know that the region was in dispute and continuing this race would endanger the lives of the participants and spectators, I have to ask to cancel it before Robotnick’s forces can launch an attack.”

“Oh, I wouldn’t worry about that,” Snivley said as he, Scratch and Coconuts came forward from the other party goers. In addition to his usual green jacket he was also wearing an old-fashioned aviator’s cap with googles and a long orange scarf. “They wouldn’t attack while we were here.”

Sonic stood right up to the diminutive overlander. “Nice to see you Needlenose, your prison cell’s been lonely without you.”

Sally turned back to Breezie. “Ms. Hedgehog, I insist that these three be disqualified and this…war criminal be arrested!”

“Try it,” said Snively. “We’re being watched and if it looks like I am in danger all it would take would be for my allies to call a Code Cyrano and a squadron of Neo Swats will be here in seconds to secure me, putting those civilians you care about in the line of fire.”

“He and my former employees have agreed to be on their best behavior,” said Breezie. “No one’s in danger, pending another sandstorm the race is still on.”

“In other words, I’m untouchable,” Snively waved a filled glass under Sally’s nose. “Champagne?”

Sally grabbed the glass and splashed its contents all over Snively’s face before turning back to Breezie “Very well, but I noticed you are using a Babylonian relic as part of the trophy…”

“Let me guess, either the protestors want it or ‘it belongs in a museum’. Tell you what, you can donate that lamp to whoever you want, if you win it of course, if not take it up with whoever does.”

“I don’t need it,” said Snively as he wiped his face. “But I think I’ll keep it just so you won’t have it.”

Sonic pointed at Snively. “I don’t know what your game is, but now that I’m here it’s over.”

“Now, now,” Geoffrey said as he and Lucian came up. “Save it for the race, we’re all here just to have some good clean fun, aren’t we?”

“Yes,” Snively turned as he, Scratch and Coconuts began to leave. “Good clean fun.”

“Fun?” said Sonic. “I thought you’d be spreading the good news of Ixis or whatever you call it.”

“That too,” said Lucian. “But as busy as we’re going to be soon Geoffrey and I thought we’d give this race a try, besides one and a half million Mobiums is a heck of a college fund.”

“Going to be busy? College fund?” asked Tails.

“Might as well tell you the good news now,” said Geoffrey. He then clapped Lucian on the shoulder as they gave each other a very prideful smile. “Our wives are both pregnant, you’re looking at a pair of proud soon to be papas.”

Sonic was wide-eyed. “You and Amy just got married and she’s already having a baby?! I can’t believe these words are about to come out of my mouth but aren’t you going too fast?!”

“Ixis has blessed us,” said Lucian. “If he wills that it is time that we have a child who are we to argue?”

“Well congratulations, I guess,” said Sally. “I wish we were on better terms with each other, but after Amy, Hershey and Fiona left us in Nerberhood just as Naugus made his move with the Font of Gaia I think it’s clear that you’re all working for Specter now. Tell your master this, we’ll do everything in our power to make sure you never get the Lamp of Angelus.”

Geoffrey shrugged. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“The lamp on the trophy,” said Corva. “He’s inside it.”

She pointed to a painting on the wall depicting a purple genie-like creature with a feathered vest over his powerful looking chest, gold bands on the wrists of his muscular arms, what looked like feathers on his head and a tornado like tail that went from the waist down.

“Not very friendly looking,” said Silver.

“Not very friendly looking,” said Lucian.

Sonic looked annoyed. “Uh, Silver just said that,”

“Who?” asked Geoffrey. “Never mind, believe what you want let’s just have a good clean race tomorrow.”

“We will, as long as you don’t forget.”

A soft chime echoed through speakers set up in the converted shrine as Breezie rang a fork against a glass. “Attention all racers, it’s finally time to reveal the full course for tomorrow’s race!” everyone gathered as she motioned to a monitor. “As mentioned in our most recent advertisement immediately after the starting gate you’ll drop down a two-hundred-foot incline to the base of this very tower but keep sharp because soon after that you’ll need to make the first major turn. The next section will take you through the old market, it’ll be tricky to navigate the series of pillars here while maintaining momentum. After the second major turn racers will go through the winding streets of the city to the third turn, in the middle of this section is a dry lakebed where you’ll have nothing to worry about, except that is your fellow competitors. Once you pass the third turn, you’ll go up and down a series of sand dunes before making the fourth turn back towards the tower, where you’ll take a spiral path around the tower to a final hairpin turn leading to a straight away at the top. Once the last racer finishes their second lap the last straight away will extend moving the finish line from one edge to the other so the first racer to get to the top of the tower on lap three will be the winner of the Babylonian Cup and one and half million Mobiums!”

The party erupted into applause as cheers came from outside, as the crowd heard the broadcast.

“Now let’s go over the rules one last time, all Extreme Gear must follow standard racing specifications, we’re trying to see who’s the best racer, not who has the best gear. Rescue drones will be on standby at all sections but to reduce the chances of severe injury directly or indirectly attacking your opponents is strictly prohibited and grounds for immediate disqualification. If you fall off your gear or leave the course, you have twenty seconds to rejoin the race before being disqualified. Finally, racers must be in the starting area one minute before the gate opens or they’ll be disqualified so rest up and be ready. The weather report is giving us clear skies for the race, so I expect to see you all at the top of the tower to give Studiopolis TV’s audience the race of a lifetime!”

Applause broke out again as Breezie left the shrine taking the trophy with her. The Babylon Rouges and Freedom Fighters came together outside with the rest of the team. “Look’s we’ll have to fall back on plan B after all,” said Storm.

Sally looked to her feet. “It was always a long shot, but I had to try.”

“The race is our best bet anyway,” said Jet. “But since Robotnick’s tin cans aren’t going to attack can we keep the prize money?”

“Not if you want to keep our cover and stay a free bird. Besides I wouldn’t trust Snively as far as I could throw the Death Egg. We’ll all have to stay alert for anything that can happen.”

“By the way Silver what was up with the Skunk and the Sonic lookalike?” asked Wave. “It’s like you didn’t even exist to them.”

“Something similar happened to the rest of the Society of the Great Illumination,” said Silver. “We think our interloper is involved and is trying to keep them from changing the future we’re trying to stop, the one where Sonic died long before he’s supposed to.”

“I tried to read their minds,” said Gold. “But nothing was clear, whatever happened they’ve been protected from psychic influence.”

“Well our senses are still working,” said Chip. “No doubt about it, that lamp has a powerful essence inside.”

“Then we better be ready to win it,” said Sonic. “Let’s get some grub and shuteye, modifying our Extreme Gear shouldn’t take long so we’ll do it first thing in the morning.”

“Before dinner I want to make a call to everyone back home,” said Tails. “Let them know the situation and what we’re up to. That includes Dr. Quack, something about Geoff and Lucian’s story of Hershey and Amy being pregnant struck me as odd, I have to check something with him.”

“Don’t take too long,” said Sally. “I’m going to make everyone curry tonight!”

Sonic turned slightly green. “Can’t wait…”


Snively, Scratch and Coconuts went into the aircraft Viktor gave him for this mission, inside Crabmeat and Grounder were waiting for them. “The Freedom Fighters are here, just as Regina said they’d be,” Snivley sneered. “Alright S6 we’ll try to win race, but our top priority is the elimination of Sonic. Scratch, Coconuts have some weapons ready to deal with him as a backup, Grounder, Crabmeat upgrade the armaments you’re going to use for operation ‘Slight Edge’ so that when the Freedom Fighters have their ‘accident’ it will be fatal.”

Crabmeat jumped for joy. “Oh boy, a chance to prove my usefulness to Robotnick!”

“Just be sure no one interferes with your attack, there can be no mistakes this time! Any questions?”


“Yeah,” said Grounder. “If you get in trouble and we have to call for help, we’re supposed to say Code Cereal, right?”


Snively could have sworn he just had a heart attack.


Lucian and Geoffrey entered a trailer marked “Private” inside Breezie was admiring her reflection in the trophy as Mammoth Mogul watched the door.

“Excellent, now we can discuss the mission,” said Mammoth. “Do you remember Lord Specter’s plan?”

“Of course, Master Mogul,” said Lucian. “We stay competitive in the race, finish in a top position but not actually win, just be good enough to be at the awards ceremony.”

Breezie gave her reflection a smile. “During which I’ll insist the champion give the lamp a nice victory rub releasing Angelus in front of a worldwide audience.”

“If Angelus isn’t enraged upon his release, I’ll make sure he attacks the crowd or make it appear like he did,” said Mammoth. “Then you use the sealing spell Lord Specter gave you to return Angelus to the lamp on live television. We’ll gain not only the Essence of Air, but you’ll be big enough heroes that you’ll attract many more followers to your society, followers who will become more Ixis Wizards.”

“And Witches,” said Breezie. “I assume when this plan works, I’ll be one of them?”

Mammoth gave Breezie a satisfied look. “If it were up to me you would be one already, but yes this should prove yourself in Lord Specter’s eyes.”

Breezie went to her vanity mirror. “Then I better call it an early night and make sure I look good for the race; it will turn out to be quite the show.”

Chapter 17: Fight to the Finish Line

Summary:

The Freedom Fighters and the Babylon Rouges race for the Babylon Cup while Robotnick unleashes his newest weapons. The Essence of Air is unleashed and both the Freedom Fighters and the Order of Ixis prepare for their biggest clash yet.

Chapter Text

An impromptu party was being held at the Royal Estate, friends and family of the Freedom Fighters came into the mansion’s living room as the TV was showing a countdown until the start of the Babylon Cup.

“I heard something about an important race everyone was keeping track of,” Charlemagne said as he entered the room. “You know I was a bit of a daredevil during my misguided youth and this seems like something I would have joined in if not for the prejudices I held, you wouldn’t believe how many people were surprised I was made Overlord.”

“You’re welcome to join us,” said Jules. “While I’m definitely rooting for my son with so much at stake, we all just want it to turn out in the way that’s best for everyone.”

“I know my Little Bean should be able to handle herself,” said King Max. “But I hear race and I keep thinking to when she five and crying because she badly scraped her knee after the training wheels where taken off her bike.”

Bernadette put a hand on the king’s shoulder. “She’s handled a lot worse than scraped knees over the years, besides my Sonic is there to protect her.”

“And Silver and Gold are there to protect Sonic,” Blaze said as she came up. “We’ve heard Tails message, if they can get the Essence hidden in that lamp then the Order of Ixis will be forced to attack in the open it they want to get all four elemental essences.”

“I’m concerned about Tails working with criminals like the Babylon Rouges,” said Rosemary.  “What’s keeping them from running away at the first sign of trouble or turning on the Freedom Fighters if Robotnick or the Order make them a better offer?

“For one, they’d be wanted birds for the rest of their lives,” said Amadeus. “Two as we have to remember that lamp is part of their heritage as Babylonians, the last thing they’d want is for someone like Specter to use it for world domination, so they’ll working with us.”

Rosemary growled. “Still I’d rather they would have swapped out the Rouges for someone else, you Blaze for example or Knuckles.”

Blaze shook he head. “A sudden change up would attract suspicion, and even that wasn’t the case the Chaotix have been putting overtime to securing Angel Island from a possible attack by the Order. As for me while I’ve ridden Extreme Gear during my time with the Resistance, I’ve had to take momentary leave from the group. I thought it was high time to help Marine develop her latent abilities as a Chaos Adept.”

“I found it a little boring at first because she had me go over the how Chaos Energy works why adapts can manipulate it,” said Marine. “But knowing that stuff really made the actual training that much easier. Before I could just move water around a little bit, now I’m starting to do things by using chaos energy to manipulate water in the air, check this out!” She spread out her fingers and moved her hand front of Cubot who was carrying a plate of hors d’oeuvres to a table. “Hey Cubot, heads up! AQUA BLAST!”

A spray of water came from Marine’s palm struck Cubot just as he turned and yelled as the blast of water sent careening into an expensive looking vase that shattered when it hit the floor.

Marine gave a nervous smile to the king as Orbot began to sweep up the mess. “I don’t suppose that vase was just a cheap replica was it?”

“It’s not a problem,” said Alicia. “We can afford a replacement easily, just be more careful in the future. Let’s sit down everyone the race will be starting soon. I hope Sally and the others can win it then the Freedom Fighters can focus on keeping this lamp and the Black Emerald secure on Angel Island.”

Inwardly Specter grinned. “Thank you for that little tidbit Your Majesty. Rest assured, no matter who gets first place ultimately I will be the winner!”


At the top of the Tower of Babel two edges had VIP seating set up on either side of the track that now went down the middle. Sonic, now sporting a pair of shades as eye protection for the race, took a good look at a few of the other competitors in the starting area, among them were the former witchcarters; Falke Wolf, Carrottia, and Bearanger; a stoic looking boar, a pair consisting of a muscular ram and a fairly young gazelle girl and even a young human man that from a section of human girls that squealed when he came out was some sort of celebrity who joined the race just for the sake of publicity. Of course, Snively, Scratch, Coconuts, Geoffrey and Lucian were there but he was more concerned about who wasn’t.

“I hope that follow up call Tails needed to make is quick, the race will be starting in a few minutes.”

“It’s about time for one last report, I’ll have him check in too.” said Sally as she began working her communicator as a single piece pair of goggles now covered her eyes. “All teams check in.”

“This is team one,” Bunnie said over the communicator. “Twan and I are hunkered down in the old market keepin’ an eye out for funny business.”

“Team two,” said Rotor. “Nikki, uh, Nicole and I found a rooftop with a good view of the city, we should find anyone laying in hiding here.

“Team three,” said Gold. “Me, Chip and Whip keeping an eye out in the dunes in case Snivley or the Order have something nasty buried out here.”

Sally nodded. “Good, Tails the deadline’s coming up can you give us an ETA?”

“Just look up!” Tails shouted as he flew in on his namesakes and landed, a pair of goggles on his forehead. “Made it with time to spare.”

“You had us worried,” said Silver. “So, what was it you wanted to ask Doctor Quack about so much that you were willing to wait until now to get everything?”

“It had to do with what Geoff and Lucian said last night. Given Amy and Lucian’s wedding had to be only days ago at best I thought it was too early to tell if Amy had gotten pregnant, so I double checked with Doctor Quack, he says it usually takes two to three weeks for a test to determine if conception happened and that’s if you are actually trying and keeping track of this sort of thing.”

Sonic gasped. “You’re saying before they got married…”

 “No, it’s a lot weirder than that. Doctor Quack told me female Mobians have set times of the year when ovulation occurs, like miniature versions of Mobini mating seasons, the exact time these ‘heat periods’ occur varies from species to species and for individuals the exact time fluctuates within that period. According to the records he pulled up this morning the last heat period for hedgehogs ended a month and a half ago, before Amy and Lucian even met, with another month and a half left until the next one starts. The last heat period for cats was about two months ago, well before Hershey and Geoffrey were reunited, and the next isn’t for another month. Even if they broke the rules neither should be having a baby at all.”

“I don’t see what’s so weird,” said Sally. “Those two out and out lied to us.”

“But what would it accomplish? This information isn’t that hard to get, it only took me as long as it did because the doc couldn’t get into those records because his office was closed for the night, so it’s an easy lie to spot. Not only that it wasn’t as if them being dads would change anything about the current situation.”

Sonic turned and noticed the two Ixis wizards on a communicator. “Uh guys, we may want to listen in on this.”

“…We’ll head home after we’ve watched your performance at the race today,” Amy said from the comm. “The three of us will be cheering you on.”

“That’s good,” said Lucian. “Now that we’re done taking business, how are the two of you and the babies doing?”

“Take a look,” Amy began to step back from the camera to get Hershey in the shot, both now had noticeable baby bumps seeming to be halfway through the second trimester. “I wouldn’t be surprised if by time the two of you get back, we’ll both be as big as the Master Emerald.”

“Just means we get to meet them that much sooner,” said Geoffrey. “We have to go, but once we get back luv I’ll give you a nice foot rub.”

“Can’t wait,” Hershey said. “Be safe you two.”

The couples exchanged kisses over the screen before the two wizards approached the middle of the field, Sally turned to the team. “They didn’t seem to notice us, so they were telling the truth, but not only do we have a pair of impossible pregnancies but ones that are going absurdly quickly.”

Sonic’s quills bristled. “This has got to be Masquerade’s doing, if he’s making those two have monster babies to throw at us there won’t be enough left to fit a matchbook once I get done with him.”

“With a minute left all entrants are accounted for!” A bull acting as the announcer said through a loudspeaker. “Racers get into starting positions; the starting gate will open in less than a minute so get moooooooooving!”

“No time to worry about that,” said Silver. “We have a lamp to win.”

The Freedom Fighters came went to the middle where the Babylon Rouges were waiting for them. “The gang’s all here,” said Jet. “Now let’s get this race started so I can win the Lamp of Angelus!”

“You mean so I can win it,” Sonic said with a smirk.

“You’re both wrong,” said Sally. “Our team is helping yours and vice versa. Make sure your radio earpieces are on the same frequency. When you’re out there I want everyone to keep this in their minds first, ‘teamwork makes the dream work’!”

Sonic gave a thumbs up. “You’re right Sal, so let’s do it to it!”

About the same time Snivley lined up with Scratch and Coconuts. “Have Grounder and Crabmeat taken up their positions yet?”

“They’ve been waiting since before dawn,” said Coconuts. “Those chumps will never see ‘em coming.”

Scratch hopped on his board. “I’m ready!”

Snivley shook his head. “That’s not how you start! Before the gate opens everyone will run for it then mount their gear once they pass, the trick is to time your run so you’re going at top speed while reaching the gate at the exact moment it goes down. Can’t you calculate that in seconds?!”

“Your uncle built us to follow orders, not be good at math,” Scratch sighed as he got off again.

Snively groaned as he lowered the goggles on his cap over his eyes. “This is going to be a loooooong race.”

“Ten seconds left,” said the announcer. “Racers you may move about your lane!”

Some started to move backward to a position where they could get more running room, others stayed still to focus on timing while others still moved ahead hoping for a head start. Sonic ran up and waited with just enough space to take a couple of steps before the gate.

“The gate will open in 5…4…”

A line appeared at the back of the starting area that started to move to the gate while racers attempted to catch up to it.

“3…2…1…”

Sonic moved just enough get into super speed before jumping on the gear, it slightly ahead of the approaching pack it seemed like he was about to hit the force field separating him from a long fall.

“GO!”

The gate vanished as the line touched it and the next instant Sonic was already sailing past and readying himself for the drop. Jet was only half a second behind him.

Snively was just about to reach the gate when he tripped on his overly long scarf and he found himself laying on stomach on top of his gear as he plummeted down the track.

“AAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE!”

Just over three seconds later Snivley got just enough sense to pull up the board before it crashed on the track below, getting just in time to try to make the first turn.

“Unbullievable!” shouted the announcer. “In an unorthodox maneuver Snivley worked with gravity and made himself aerodynamic enough to get a significant head start! But now everyone’s gunning for him!”

Jet growled as he started making the turn. “The guy got lucky and now he’s in the lead!”

“Doesn’t matter who’s leading at the start of the race,” said Sonic as they came out of the turn. “Just who’s leading at the end.”

As the race turned into the pillars of the old market Lucian’s eyes were glowing aqua as her trailed close behind Geoffrey.

“Left, right twice, duck, left, jump and right!”

Geoffrey followed the instructions and weaved through standing and fallen pillars as a couple of other racers hit them, one had to run and remount falling behind but the lost their gear in the crash and was scooped up by rescue drones before they hit the ground.

“Nice work,” said Geoffrey. “With your future sight we should be able to see the course and events up ahead, completing this mission will be a cinch.”

“Speaking of which let’s put on some thrust up ahead, we have to look like we want to win!”

As the race turned into the narrow streets Snivley, now closer to the middle of the pack after being slowed down by the pillars, tapped the sleeve of his jacket making a hologram appear. “Grounder we’re approaching the dried oasis; how can we evade your trap?”

 “I’m sending you a map,” Grounder said as it appeared on the hologram. “Just avoid the red dots and the mines won’t get you.”

“Wait, I know we’re moving too fast for remote detonation to be reliable but the way they’re spaced it would be difficult to avoid the proximity sensors.”

“Which is why I turned them off.”

Snively sneered. “You mean they’re pressure activated?!”


“So what?” Grounder said as he looked out to the dried oasis “I don’t see the problem…”

The race came into the dry lakebed and Grounder watched as every Extreme Gear hovered safely over the mines at high speed then went back into the ruins at the other side.

“…ohhhhhhh.”

“We still have two laps, just set them back to remote detonate and try to get Sonic on the next pass.”

CLANG!

Grounder’s body went after his head after Rotor used his wrench to knock it away. He didn’t get far before Nicole hacked the body still while Rotor picked up Grounder’s still active head before knocking it out.

“Good plan Snively,” said Nicole. “Except we’ll detonate all the mines now while nobody can get hurt by them.” With a press of a button on Grounder’s remote a large explosion made the lakebed about a half foot deeper. “We’ll be taking Grounder to the race officials to explain this, enjoy being disqualified.”

Once Nicole shut off the communicator Rotor turned to her. “That was nice work Nikk…Nicole.”

Nicole cupped Rotor’s cheek. “I know it’s hard trying to see me as both the friend you knew for years and the program you created and saw as your little girl. When I was sent back teasing your attempts to figure me out was my way of ‘playing’ with my dad. Now that I can remember my childhood while I still want you to respect me as an adult and a member of this team I don’t mind if we also treat each other as the family we are.”

“Ah,” Grounder said as he was groggily waking up. “That’s sweet.”

Rotor conked the head with the wrench again knocking him out. “Thank you, Nikki. I’ll reconnect this after we disable the body’s motor functions, we should be able to make it back just in time for the end of the race.”


Meanwhile the race had left the dunes and began spiraling up the tower, Sally was turning to the inside to gain a few places.

“Watch out!” Storm shouted. 

Sally turned and saw a moose barreling towards her, a moment later Storm knocked into the him sending the moose off his gear where a rescue drone saved him from the fall he intended for Sally.

“To the officials it’ll look they just collided trying to make the same turn, what could have happened to you” Jet said from the Radio. “The rules say we can’t attack each other, but there’s no rule that’s been made so well someone can’t think of a way around it.”

“Thanks for the save Storm,” said Sally. “But I meant what I said about winning fairly, too much is at stake for us to risk getting caught cheating and disqualified.”

Around the middle of the pack Snively turned to the Scratch and Coconuts. “We need to get closer to the lead!”

“I got just the thing!” Scratch then extended the wings now attached to the boosters on his back. “Since Sonic can’t run in this race these will make me the fastest thing here! Firing turbo booster! WHOAAAAAAA!”

Scratch got a big boost, so big he shot right off the track, then his gear and was soon a dot near the horizon.

“Looks like Scratch is way out of bounds, that makes him the third racer to drop out! But it looks like Jet and Sonic have just finished the first lap!”

“Don’t worry!” Crabmeat said from Snively’s radio. “Once Sonic comes into the old market again, he’s mine!”


Crabmeat opened his claw and aimed at Sonic as he came down the tower. “Target locked, just have to wait until he gets to the pillars…”

Sonic and Jet were heading into the old market but Snively and Coconuts were right on their heels.

“…annnnd FIRE!”

Crabmeat launched a missile that speed toward sonic, a second later it exploded as it was hit by a laser beam.

“Uh oh.”

Antione came up from behind him conked him on the head with the pommel of his sword. “Bon nuit (Good night)!”

Crabmeat shut down and fell face first into the sand just before Bunnie picked up the Badnick. “That should be all of the little twirp’s flunkies,” Bunnie said into the radio. “Still y’all watch your backs, he and the Order probably have other tricks up their sleeves.”

“Thanks, Bunnie,” Tails said from the other side of the radio. “Sonic and Jet are still swapping the lead, if we can keep the rest of the pack from getting close then the Lamp of Angelus is ours.”

“In that case we’ll bring this piece of seafood over to the officials while you make sure everybody in the top is working for the Freedom Fighters!”


The race was coming out of the city streets and back to the lakebed when Coconuts and Snively found the street they had taken put them very close to Sonic. Coconut pulled out one of his grenades that looked like his namesake. “I got him now!”

“Wait!” yelled Snively. “Throw now and you’ll be disqualified! At least let me fall back to a safe…!”

Coconuts threw the bomb squarely at Sonic’s head.

“…Distance.”

Suddenly Jet moved in front of the bomb and swung his Bashōsen at it. “Nice throw, but can you catch?!” The green feathered fan created a gust strong enough to send the bomb sailing back at Coconuts forcing him to leap off his gear activating a spherical energy shield just before the bomb blew his gear to pieces.

The energy sphere was still up when Coconuts hit the ground at the field passed him. “Great, I never figured out how to turn this off. Let’s maybe…” Coconuts began to roll the sphere around him like he was in a hamster ball.

“Ouch, that attack backfired!” the announcer said. “Disqualified and crashed out all in one moooove! Sonic and Jet are still battling for first, but except for Snively who had to move back to avoid the explosion the remaining racers are not far behind…” A lamb girl whispered something into the announcer’s ear. “This just in we have unidentified flyers approaching the track fast and it looks like they’ll be on top of the racers by the time they hit the dunes.”

“Gold can you see what’s coming?” Sally asked over the radio.


“One moment,” Gold took out a pair of binoculars as Chip and Whip floated nearby.

“I wish we could do more to help,” said Chip.

Whip grumbled. “If I only had my original body.”

As gold focused the binoculars, she saw two robots and focused in on one of them. It was humanoid with white armor, yellow visor, a pair of wings on its back and what she’d describe as a feminine build.  Most noticeable was a black emblem just above the chest of a gear with mechanical dragon wings with a lightning bolt going through the hole in the center. “Looks like the Robotnick Ascendancy has made a new robot, still not sure…”

Gold’s eyes widened as she looked at the second robot, more masculine in build and with red armor, despite the same emblem on its chest she smiled like she saw an old friend coming down the street.

“Silver, it’s Red Knight!”

“No way!” Silver said over the line. “We both saw him get wrecked in the future!”

“Maybe he followed us and got himself repaired.”

“Wait,” said Sally. “You’re happy to see one of Viktor’s robots?!”

“He was reprogramed back in our original time,” said Silver. “He protected Gold and me, we can trust him.”

“No, we can’t!” said Tails. “Because this is isn’t your Red Knight!”

“What do you mean?”

“I think I get it,” said Sonic. “The Red Knight you knew that was reprogrammed was already two hundred years old! This one isn’t your Red Knight because he didn’t travel back in time, he’s brand spanking new off the assembly line!”

The race had come back to the dunes as the two robots flew in parallel to them. “Targets locked,” said the white robot. “Firing static pulse rockets!”

Several small rockets launched from the wings of both robots. They hit the gear of several racers which suddenly lost power sending their riders tumbling in the dunes. Those headed for the Babylon Rouge were deflected away when they grouped together as Jet used his Bashōsen to blow the rockets into each other and the two Ixis Wizards used their magic to take out the rockets headed form them. Snively and the Freedom Fighters were ignored by the attack.

“T-this is unprecedented in Extreme Gear history ladies and gentlemen!” The announcer said. “Half of our original participants have been knocked out in a single outside attack! We’re down to just eleven racers, I don’t think we can continue…” the announcer saw Breezie shake her head. “I-I don’t bullieve this, but the commissioner is allowing the race to continue! At the risk of my job I have to say this is insane!”

Snively activated the communicator on his smart jacket. “Unknown robots identify yourselves!”

Red Knight appeared on the hologram above Snively’s sleeve. “This is Prototype unit X-001, codename: Red Knight. My counterpart is Prototype unit X-002, codename: White Bishop. We are here on a field test of combat capabilities. New targets identified: Sonic the Hedgehog, Sally Acorn and affiliated allies. Objective: Termination!”

Red Knight extended a lance and shield from his arms and charged Sonic. Silver created a psychic shield as he moved in front of Sonic as the rest of the team moved out of their way and held it as they moved up the spiral ramp. “I know we’re supposed to enemies and this is going to sound crazy but I’m from the future and if Sonic dies before this year is over your master will never rule the planet!”

Silver felt a cable wrap around his waist, it was only quick thinking and his telekinesis that kept White Bishop from pulling him off his board.

“A laughable deception,” said the red robot. “You are opposed to the ascendancy, that makes whatever you say suspect.”

“Thanks for the assist,” said Snivley. “Now I’ll win this race while leaving these nuisances in your capable hands!” Snivley speed through the gap Red Knight had made.

Sonic pointed at the overlander. “Leave these bolt brains to me, we still have a race to win!”

The race had come back to the top of the tower as the crowd began to flee from the stands. From the shadows Mammoth placed his index and middle fingers on his forehead. “Geoffrey, Lucian, you have a new mission. Place in the race like before but at the same time make sure Sonic survives, Lord Specter told me he is critical to the Grand Design.”

The racers began to go down the slope for the last time as Lucian put his fingers on his forehead. “Understood”.

“Wind Cutter!” Geoffrey sent a blade of air from his hand severing the cable that bound Silver to White Bishop.

White Bishop retracted what was left of the cable back to her arm and then grabbed a box from the thigh that unfolded into a rifle. “You could have lived longer if you just kept out of this.”

She fired bolts of energy at the sorcerers.

“Frost Lance!”

Lucian sent icicles at the shots creating a mist just as they entered the pillars of the old market. “We can’t bomb the ruins without risking Snively. We’ll intercept them as they come to the dried oasis!” said White Bishop.

“I copy,” said Red Knight. The two robots flew into a sniping position, Red Knight retracted his lance and shield and from his thigh compartment removed a box that unfolded into what looked like a gatling gun. “Preparing target lock, this will be like shooting fish in a barrel.”

The racers turned into the city streets Sonic, Jet and Silver were beginning to catch up to Snively. Silver used his mental link with Gold. {You knew Red Knight better than I did, how can we stop him?}

{The only thing specific I can think of is how he came to join the Final Freedom Fighters. If you get another chance to speak with him, I’ll relay the story for you to tell him. I do consider him a friend but if this doesn’t work and it must be a choice between saving Red Knight and saving Sonic and the future, Red Knight would’ve been the first to tell us to scrap him.}

{I understand, but I don’t like it. See you at the finish line.}

Sonic and Jet passed Snivley as they came to the dry lakebed only to brake hard as the two robots opened fire. “How can we get past that little twerp if those bots keep shooting at us?!”

Sally clenched her fist. “Since they aren’t racing the rules preventing us from attacking don’t apply to them,” One of her ring blades activated. “Sonic Jet, focus on getting first, Silver cover them, the rest of us are going to try to slow them down!”

“Don’t do anything stupid!” said Sonic.

Storm pounded on his chest. “Hey you know me!”

“Exactly,” grumbled Jet.

The Sally and the others charged the two robots, as they started to fire on them. The Babylon Rouges moved ahead of the Freedom Fighters and then flipped their gear up to use as shields for themselves and the two behind them. Just before the gear were torn to pieces the thieves kicked off as Sally and Tails accelerated to climb above them. As the birds were picked up by rescue drones Sally slashed her ring blade through the barrel of Red Knight’s gatling gun.

Tails moved to tackle White Bishop, but the robot fell back and aimed at the two Freedom Fighters. “You’re mine!” She then fired five shots.

Sally flipped her gear to use as a shield. As Tails did the same, he instinctively threw his hand out and what looked like three power rings flew from his grasp. Two hit a couple of the rounds while the third impacted the rifle, all crackled with electricity and exploded on impact. The remaining two rounds hit the gear and as Sally began to fall Tails flew over to grabbed her as the two tried to ready a counter.

“Forget them,” Red Knight said as he discarded his destroyed gun. “Sonic is our priority, move out!”

White Bishop dropped the ruined rifle as the two jetted towards the dunes.

Tails began to move after the robots. “We have to…”

“Hold it Tails,” Sally said from his arms. “Given the speed everyone is moving at our best chance is to head back to the tower and wait for them back at the finish line, that’s where the Rouges will be after that rescue anyway. Between Sonic, Silver and Jet they would their own until the race is over.”

“I get it,” Tails nodded. “We have to make sure any bystanders still there get to safety. Next stop Tower of Babel.”

 “By the way what was that thing you did back there? I’ve never seen Power Rings do that.”

Tails looked like he just processed what he did. “Aunt Sally, I didn’t bring any Power Rings with me. I just wish I had grenades on me, and the rest was just instinct. I don’t how I did that ‘Ring Bomb’ thing.”

“Tails, I think your Chaos Powers are starting to come back.”

“But after Mammoth drained me of my turbo form, I thought those powers were gone forever,” Tails shook his head. “The double of me Mammoth made he sacrificed his life to reunite me with everyone, if I’m really getting my Chaos Power back then I owe it to him to use those powers to protect my friends because you were his friends too!”


The race had left the ruins and were crossing back over the dunes the Geoffrey and Lucian shot wind and water behind them to boost both into the lead.

“That should make it look good enough for the cameras,” said Lucian. “Now we just have to let whoever’s back there beat us to the inside turn on the tower spiral and the stage will be set for our heroic defeat of Angelus.”

Geoffrey looked behind at the remaining four racers and noticed Red Knight and White Bishop coming up fast. “There might be a complication in that plan.”

Not too far behind Sonic, Jet and Silver were right no Snively’s heels.

“No!” the overlander sneered. “I’ve come too close; I was finally going to get I’ve always deserved!”

Above the two robots focused on Sonic. “Target systems synced,” said Red Knight. “Calculating target velocity, projecting estimated future location, firing burst rockets!”

Missiles came from both robots’ wings and were making a beeline to Sonic. Silver threw up another shield that caused the resulting explosion to throw up enough sand to block any camera watching them.

“You’re right Snively!” Sonic yelled. “You should get the only thing you ever deserved, THE BOOT!”

Covered by the sand Sonic kicked Snively in the backside. the treacherous assistant flew off his gear and just barely grabbed onto Geoffrey’s tail before he hit the ground.

“What a blast folks!” the announcer said. “As the racers head into the final turns Colin Kintobor Jr. has been knocked out of the running, but not out of the race! This cud be a big problem for Geoffrey St. John!”

“What now?” asked White Bishop.

“Arm your saber,” Red Knight said as he once again deployed his lance and shield. “I just got an idea for a surprise attack.

As the racers spiraled up the tower Geoffrey tried to shake off Snively. “Let go! The rescue drones will catch you, you idiot!” Snivley tried to regain his grip near the edge of Geoff’s tail. “No, don’t squeeze there!”

As Snively tightened his grip a cloud of musk began to cover him. Not far behind Lucian braked to avoid the stench while Sonic, Jet and Silver turned missing the cloud and passing the rest.

“Ugh!” Snively cried. “It’s in my mouth!”

“Thanks Stinker!” said Jet as he took the lead. “Oh, and I guess the skunk helped too!”

“That should do it!” yelled Lucian. “Everything’s in place!”

“It had better be!” said Geoffrey. “As much as I don’t like to use my spray, I’d like to keep some as a last resort! This imbecile squeezed me dry, it’ll take me over a week to replenish my supply!”

“Please just let me know when it’s over,” moaned Snively.

The announcer leaned over his microphone. “And coming up to the final stretch it’s Jet the Hawk, followed by Sonic with rest of the pack hot on their trail! Who’s going to stampede their way to victory?!”

“Looks like the lamp’s as good as ours!” said Jet as he took both his fans out. “Which means I don’t have to hold back to beat you to first place!”

Jet waved both fans behind him as he came to the last straightaway propelling him forward.

Sonic smirked. “You’re not the only one with an ace up his sleeve!”

Sonic leapt off his gear, launched a boost and then hopped back on as the boost’s momentum carried forward.

“Sonic and Jet are blazing at super speed!” said the announcer. “It’s going down to wire; I think it’ll be a photo finish!”

Just as they were about to come to the finish line Red Knight and White Bishop burst through the track from below, the racers were thrown forward and into the stands where Breezie, the announcer and the trophy were.

“Sonic!” the Freedom Fighters now all assembled ran to the crash.

“Jet!” the Babylon Rouges ran right by their side.

Before they could reach the stand the two ascendancy robots touched down in between them. “Time to finish this,” said Red Knight.

Silver stumbled from the crash his marking glowing. “Red Knight, please you have to believe me. Sonic must live for the future to survive.”

“Listen to us!” shouted Gold. “In the future a good friend of mine found your mangled body and repaired you. She was the last human you were one of the only links she had left to a history that was erased from historical record by the Mobius Imperium. You saved the Final Freedom Fighters so many times, you…sacrificed yourself so we could save our future, don’t let that sacrifice, Dr. L’s sacrifice be in vain. If you try to kill Sonic, we’ll be forced to destroy you.

Red Knight lifted his lance to charge. “Even if this body is destroyed the Ascendancy will prevail!”

Red Knight charged, only to be halted when White Bishop grabbed his lance arm.

“Wait!” the white robot said. “Switch from verbal to encoded communication Zulu.”

The two robots faced each other making after making a few beeps at each other. Suddenly they retracted their weapons and turned to Silver and Gold.

“This information must be evaluated further,” said Red Knight. “We will withdraw once we have gathered all Ascendancy forces in the immediate area. Further attacks on Sonic will be withheld pending a final decision by Doctor Robotnick.”

“He…listened?” asked Tails.

“But why you?” Gold asked White Bishop. “I didn’t see you in the future at all.”

The white robot looked at the tenrec. “…all information on Ascendancy stratagem information is classified.”

The rest of the racers began to stir. “What a finish,” said the announcer. “But who will take home the Babylon Cup?”

Breezie turned on a tv hooked up to one of the cameras and began playing back footage in slow motion. “And the winner is…” Breezie had a big grin. “…Sonic the Hedgehog by a quill!”

“Awwwww, shoot!” shouted Jet as he got up.

Sonic chuckled as he got up. “Mission clear.”

Before everyone began to move to Sonic as the remaining crowd applauded. Sally moved to hug her hero. “Sonic!”

Before she could get there Breezie cut in between them. “And now for the awards ceremony! Any words before we give you your check and trophy?”

Sonic was annoyed. “Not really, we have places to be so I’m just going the grab both before we boogie on out of here.”

Breezie began to pick the fallen trophy up. “Please for the viewers at home just give…” Breezie then gasped along with everyone else as the Lamp of Angelus had vanished from the top of the trophy.

“Where’s the lamp?!” shouted Wave.

“It must have fallen off in the crash,” said Geoffrey. “It can’t have gone too far.”

“Ugh,” Snively after finally waking up tried to get back on his feet as he laid over some wreckage. As he did so his hand slipped and rubbed across the surface of a brass lamp inches from his face. suddenly the wind started to howl as purple clouds began to gush from the lamp’s nozzle. “What on Mobius?”

“No,” gasped Sally. “He just freed Angelus!”

As the sky suddenly darkened and the crowd began to run away in a panic Breezie went down a nearby staircase and came straight to Mammoth. “Not exactly how I planned but the job’s done.”

“Good,” said Mogul. “Now to wait for the right moment.”

The purple clouds then formed into a giant purple humanoid with a powerful chest with a feathered vest over his back, muscular arms wearing gold wristbands, a set of feathers on his head and a tornado that extended downward from his waist like a tail.

“So, this is what you cells must feel like when you’re before me at my full power,” said Whip. “I don’t like it one bit.”

“YES!” Angelus shouted. “I AM FREE! FREE AFTER TEN THOUSAND YEARS AWAY FROM THE FIRMAMENT!”

Snively cackled manically as he lifted the lamp towards Angelus. “Yes! I have freed you and as your master I demand you grant me what is owed!” Snively then looked off in thought. “I think I’ll wait until after the Ascendancy has taken over Mobius before I wish to be its leader. Now for my first wish should I just ask for him to destroy the Freedom Fighters or do I give myself a full head of hair? I suppose I could ask Regina…”

“IMPUDENT MORTAL!” shouted Angelus. “YOU THINK YOU CAN SIMPLY MAKE DEMANDS OF ME?!”

Snively began backpedaling. “But I get three wishes, isn’t that how magic lamps are supposed to work?”

Corva slapped her forehead. “Oh, for cryin’ out loud! He’s a sky god not a genie you prat!”

Snively gulped and fell to his knees. “Forgive me your gustyness! This is all a big misunder…”

“Charing power laser,” Red Knight said as his and White Bishop’s chests opened to large cannons. “Target locked, fire!”

The lasers hit causing the giant to reel.

“What did you do that for?!” yelled Nicole.

“Sensors indicate target is a hyper energy organism, based on gathered data the likelihood of him posing a threat to Robotnick forces is at 98.7%”

“Well given Eggman had a record of abusing them for his evil plans before they became threats then the most logical action should be to LEAVE THEM ALONE!”

“The H.E.O. is beginning to recover,” said White Bishop. “Maximum attack effectiveness was been negligible, protocol states that we evacuate remaining Ascendancy forces and retreat.”

“Understood,” said Red Knight as he grabbed Snively who dropped the lamp in the process. “All units initiate transmat recall.”

The two robots, Snivley, and the S6 in the visible area all vanished.

“Your friend is leaving us to take care of the ticked off wind spirit by ourselves!” Rotor yelled to Gold.

Gold blushed. “He…gets better in a couple of centuries.”

Angelus then roared. “INSOLENT FOOLS! IN TEN THOUSAND YEARS YOU MORTALS HAVE NOT CHANGED, WHAT YOU CANNOT CONTROL YOU TRY TO DESTROY!”

Winds started whipping up and lightning crackled through the air.

“NOW A STORM UNLIKE ANY OTHER RAGES ACROSS THIS ENTIRE WORLD! THAT WILL TEACH ALL MORTALS NOT TO RISE ABOVE YOUR PROPER PLACES!”

Chip tried to fly to Angelus with Whip right behind him. “Angelus, you don’t have to do this! It was just one man, the Babyl…WHOOOOAAAAA!”

“WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

The diminished earth spirits were blown into the air by the tornado that now surrounded the tower, Chip’s plea drowned out by the howling wind.

The Babylon Rouges, Tails, Silver, Gold, Rotor and Nicole held on for dear life to the stonework against the wind. Sally and Antione had to use their ring blade and sword respectively to dig into the tower roof, Bunnie extended her arm to keep from getting blown away and Sonic moved as fast as he could but was literally going nowhere fast.

“If this keeps up civilization will be completely flattened!” Sally tried to shout above the winds.

Geoffery used his magic to create a buffer from the storm but it seemed to be taking a toll on him. “Give us the lamp! Without Chaos Emeralds our magic is the only thing that can seal him away again!”

“Even if we could get it there has to be another option!” shouted Tails. “We can’t just make this another generation’s problem!”

Silver spotted the lamp caught up in the tornado and grabbed it with his telekinesis.

“What are you doing!?” yelled Sonic.

“It’s the only way!” Silver grunted as he fought against the wind to bring the lamp to Lucian’s hands within Geoffrey’s buffer. The water mage then pointed the nozzle at the great air titan and started to chant.”

“Tirips ho lessev siht ot uoy dnib I Sixi fo rewop eht yb! Denifnoc rewop ruoy ot nruter latnemele uoy dnammoc I!”

Angelus’ tail began to be dragged to the nozzle of the lamp. “NOOOOOOOO!”

“It’s working!” shouted Geoffrey. “Just a little longer!”

Angelus tried to buffet the Ixis wizards with even stronger winds only to stop as his gaze settled on the Babylon Rouges. A look of lament came across his face as he spoke in a whisper that seemed to cut through the storm so they could hear it as if everything else was silent.

“My children only now do I see we were both deceived, his dark hand moved against us and this world from the very beginning. Just as your ancestors fell to greed my pride had blinded me to the truth that as children of the sky your people would have never been content to simply remain in a single home even if it met your every need, I realize now that desire in and of itself is not an evil thing, so long as it remains a servant and not a master. Before I am sealed away once again, I return what was never mine to take away, for you will need it in the dark days to come.”

“Looc ytterp si gnitirw rorrim wonk uoy naht siht daer nac uoy fi!”

As Lucian chanted the last words Angelus was pulled back into the lamp. The Rouges fell to their knees in pain, pain that was quickly forgotten but as a set of larger feathers grew from the back of their arms and they stared on in wonder.

“No way,” said Storm. “I got…wings?”

Corva stroked the new addition to her appendages, suddenly she then ran over the ledge and dove off.

“CORVA!” Storm shouted as he reached out for the crow.

The next second a black figure shot up from past the ledge.

“YAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOO!”

Everyone looked overhead as Corva began to circle above. “You blokes have got to come up here! It’s even better than I dreamed it would be!”

With a few flaps of their new wings the remaining Rouges took off and began circling the swooping, diving and climbing with Corva.

“We’re flying!” shouted Jet. “We’re actually flying!”

“I wouldn’t want to give my gear up,” said Wave. “But this is something else altogether, it’s like I should have been doing this my whole life!”

Soon from the ruins below other Mobian birds that were in that had taken shelter began flying up on wings of their own and for the first time in ten thousand years the skies of Babylon were filled with the people who once called it home.

Sonic smiled to himself as he looked on. “Way past cool.”

Suddenly a beep came the Tail’s Miles Electric. He turned it on, and Sir Charles appeared.

“Everyone there’s been some sort of event, bird Mobians had sprouted wings all over the world! People are afraid it’s another gene bomb attack!”

“It’s ok Uncle Chuck,” said Sonic. “It wasn’t a gene bomb.”

“Then what was it?”

Sally looked up at the Mobians flying overhead. “As far as these people are concerned, a miracle.”

“Hey!” Chip shouted as he and Whip managed to find their way back. “You guys did it! You got Angelus to change his mind!”

“It wasn’t us,” said Tails. “I don’t why but it seems like he gave the Babylonians their wings back just before…” Suddenly his face fell. “The lamp!”

The Freedom Fighters turned to where Geoffrey and Lucian were surprisingly still standing where they were moments ago. Lucian still had the lamp of Angelus firmly in his grasp.

Geoffrey still catching his breath raised his arms to the Mobians above him. “The false god of Babylon has been sealed away once again! The Society of the Great Illumination has given the descendants of Babylon a small glimpse into the paradise Ixis has promised, he gives you back the sky!”

Cheers erupted in the sky above the tower, except from the Babylon Rouges.

“That’s not what happened,” said Storm.

“Those dirty sneaks!” grumbled Jet. “They’re taking credit for everyone’s wings!”

“Well they’re not taking the lamp too!” said Sonic and he began running to the wizards.

Geoffrey and Lucian were covered in wind and water then vanished from the scene.

Sonic pounded the remains of the track. “They got away again!”

“That couldn’t have worked better if I did get involved myself,” said Mammoth from his and Breezie’s hiding place. “Specter did have the right idea in having Regina invite Snively to your little race.”

“We better get going then,” said Breezie. “I’m ready to see how I can use these powers to help the company.”

“Then follow me,” Mammoth held out his cane. “Zone Gate.”

A portal appeared which vanished as soon as the two stepped through.

“How could we have done everything right and have still lost?” asked Nicole.

“I hate to add more bad news, but it looks like them having Angelus might just be the icing on the cake for them,” said Rotor.

Up above many of the birds were talking about the Society of the Great Illumination and soon many other Mobians began to get excited with them.

“No!” shouted Corva. “Angelus lifted the curse! He was trying to protect from something worse comin’! Please, listen to me!!!”


Mammoth and Breezie stepped out of the portal to see a green light coming from the lamp on the upper left hand of the idol of Ixis out to both Geoffrey and Amy. With Iblis’ eye in the upper right hand and the Gaia’s ring on the lower right only the Essence of Water was missing. The light ceased and with a motion Geoffrey formed a tornado like creature with a bird’s head before dispelling it away.

“Three down, one to go,” Naugus said from the corner of the room.

“What about the baby?” Lucian asked. “The power hasn’t effected them, right?”

“Just like last time,” said Amy. “I can feel the power’s in me but if anything, it’s protecting our child.”

Lucian hugged Amy from behind putting both their hands on her growing baby bump. “That’s good, whatever destiny they have, our baby being safe and healthy is all I want right now.”

“There is only one more duty required of you today,” Specter said. “The initiation of the newest members of the Order of Ixis.”

“I thought it would just be me,” said Breezie. “Who else is getting their powers?”

“Initiates of the Society of the Great Illumination, I would request you remain quiet until the Heralds get them to see things our way. To that end I recommend the Supreme Council leave the room before Hershey brings them in.”

Mammoth tapped his cane. “I was hoping to see my assistant become my apprentice can you bestow her powers first then have the others join?”

Specter turned to Mammoth but with the mask the spirit was hard to read. “If that is your desire, I suppose…”

“Actually, I need to discuss an urgent matter with the Supreme Council,” Fiona said. “It has to do with my duties as Hershey and Amy’s midwife.”

“We should listen to the girl,” said Witchcart. “It’s not as if that woman is going to be your first apprentice.”

Specter shook his head. “I’m sorry Master Mogul, but it looks like you’ll have to skip this one.”

“I’ll be fine sir,” said Breezie. “You go ahead and take care of business.”

Mammoth nodded. “Alright Breezie, but first let me just say congratulations.”

Fiona led the Supreme Council out of the room. They could hear other footsteps come in via the portal.

“I’m so glad you all could come,” Amy said out of sight. “In addition to new friends I’m glad to see a few familiar faces as well.”

The heavy stone doors closed behind them and the moment now sound could pass through Naugus breathed a sigh of relief.

“That was a close call! Mammoth, Regina, as much as I don’t want to ‘come clean’ about my own activities Witchcart and I made some discoveries that complicate our plans. If we didn’t pull you out of there you would have told Specter everything about our little coup.”

“Are you going insane again?!” asked Regina. “Talking about that in front one of Specter’s pet elite?!”

The vixen looked at Regina with purple eyes. “Fiona isn’t in the driver’s seat at the moment,” Agunus said with Fiona’s voice. “These two planned to have the three of us that formed Naugus each take a herald as a body but while I was trying to find a way to make the real Fiona give me complete control I found something that jeopardizes our little conspiracy.”

“I should have known you’d betray us,” said Mammoth. “But if you’re willing tell me about it to my face then this must be dire. What have you found?”

“First we have to show you both something,” said Naugus. “If it weren’t for this, I would have thought Agunus was trying to destroy me and the remaining two parts of myself.”

Regina and Mammoth were led to a room that still retained some of the cells from when the temple was a prison. Only one was occupied, by a human girl with red hair and fine-looking white clothes and a feathered hairclip, she turned away in a quiet defiance. “Oh, it’s you again. I see there are a couple more here so I’ll only repeat myself so they can hear, neither you nor your supposed master Specter are going to get away with this. The people of Solenna and our allies in the United Federation won’t rest until I am found, so please release before more people get hurt.”

Witchcart gave a mocking bow. “May I introduce her royal highness Elise the Third, Princess of the human nation of Solenna.”

“And we did the most cliché plot of kidnapping a princess why?” grumbled Regina.

“This was completely an accident on the part of Fiona, Hershey and Amy,” said Agunus. “We brought you here because she can verify what I can tell you safely. As I was poking through Fiona’s memories I came to where she and the others had chosen to join us.”

Regina moaned again. “Yes, Ixis brainwashed them, we know this.”

“It’s not brainwashing, at least not in the traditional sense. Once they opened themselves to him to get the power needed to expand that spell allowing Sonic to reverse the gene bombs Ixis revealed something to them, that was all. But this knowledge, because of what it represents on a primal level, compelled them to obey Ixis and Specter because they believe it is the right thing for them to do. The only reason I’m not affected is because this isn’t my actual body, I don’t have a genetic level for it to speak on.

“The Five Elite had been telling others through the guise of the Society of the Great Illumination, which is just a way to get people to expose themselves to it once they agree to learn more. Fiona, Amy and Hershey were doing this near Solenna today when the Princess came with some curious Overlander friends, she was the first human who went as far as exposing herself to this knowledge but it didn’t have the same effect on her, since they couldn’t let the truth get exposed to the world at large we were forced to capture the Princess and bring her here, Specter said to hold her until the Elemental War starts but it was a stroke of luck on my part, I wasn’t able to tell either Naugus or Witchcart until she was able to verify my claims, isn’t that right Princess?”

Elise sighed. “This…individual is right, the moment a Mobian or Overlander learns this horrible truth, they become willing slaves of Specter and Ixis.”

“Which is why we had to get the two of you out of there,” said Naugus. “Being at that ceremony would have exposed you and we couldn’t have half our conspiracy do an about face.”

Mammoth grabbed Naugus by the neck and pinned him to the bars of Elise’s cell. “And you had me leave Breezie to become another one of Specter’s pawns?!”

“If we got her too it would have looked suspicious,” Naugus croaked. “Hate me all you want but I was just playing the hand I was dealt, being in the casino business you should know that.”

Mammoth let go of Naugus. “This had better be the last time or you’ll find you owe the house and ran out of chips.”

As Naugus caught his breath Regina turned back to the possessed Fiona. “So, who else knows this enslaving secret that unaffected?”

“Me, the princess, Suguna and Nusgau,” Agunus said. “On the bright side it has made manipulating Fiona that much easier, not total control but enough that I force her into a corner of her mind by blocking that knowledge. Suguna and Nusgau should be able to make use of one quirk it has, if by some chance if a person breaks away from the control it allows the knowledge is erased even though everything else remains intact, so all one has to do is be willingly exposed to it again to be brought into the fold all over again.”

“Just one more question, if this knowledge could enslave Overlanders and Mobians why not just make a worldwide broadcast and get millions at once?”

“That could be jammed or turned off if a government realizes something was afoot,” said Witchcart. “No I think this is why Specter wants the Elemental War, if the elite can voice this message through the elementals they’d have a captive audience through the ruse of an attack to protect oneself from and with the seven Chaos Emeralds I’d imagine they could field an endless number of messengers.”

“We were going to be his slaves all along,” said Mammoth. “But we still have a chance. Specter is going to need a new vessel soon and once we have Geoffrey and Lucian under our control, we’ll be in a better place to interrupt that. And if somehow he escapes to try again a few hundred years down the line I recently came up with a plan to ensure this world will be safe in the future.” Mammoth then began to think to himself. “And perhaps allow me to rule Mobius when once Sonic is old, dead and buried.”


The Babylon Rouges sat on the edge of the deck of their airship looking around at the ruins, the feathers of their wings and the open sky above only the occasional sigh escaping their beaks. Sally and Sonic came over to them.

“The mission didn’t go the way we wanted,” said Sally. “But it was through no fault of your own. You fulfilled your part of the bargain you can go wherever you want now.”

“We saw his face just before we lost him,” said Corva. “In that moment I could tell, even after being sealed away for ten thousand years Angelus wanted to be reconciled with the Babylonians, set them on the right path. He undid the curse to give us a chance against somethin’ worse coming.”

“Ixis,” said Sonic. “Don’t worry, whatever Specter has planned for him we’ll get Angelus back.”

Jet stood up holding his hand out. “If you plan on stealing the god of Babylon back then we’re going to help you do it. This partnership is going to last a little bit longer. Just find where Specter is, and we’ll steal back everything he’s taken.”

Sonic took Jet’s hand. “Keep this up and you just might go straight.”

“Yeah, I don’t see that happening. But we owe the descendants of Babylon the truth and Specter owes us some payback.”

“You’ll get the chance to try it soon,” said Sally. “Only one of the elemental essences is left, the essence of water, but we just happen to know where it is and therefore where the Order of Ixis is going to strike next. Make whatever preparations you need then set your course for Angel Island.”

Jet gave a thumbs up. “We’ll see you there then.”

“In the meantime, I’ll see if I can whip up a few gizmos to give us an edge,” said Wave.

Storm pounded his fist in his hand. “These Ixis guys are going to regret messin’ with us!”

“Angelus trusted us with these wings,” said Corva. “We’re going to show that that trust wasn’t misplaced.”

They soon after they left the Rouge’s airship Sally had gathered the Freedom fighters in the conference room. “I won’t sugar coat things,” said the Princess. “The Order of Ixis has put us on the backfoot, one we have only once chance left to stop them.

Bunnie turned to Silver. “Why did you have to give the lamp to them?! We could have tried to put that windbag back in ourselves!”

“That lamp probably used Ixis Magik to work,” said Gold. “They were the only ones who could get Angelus back under control.”

“She’s right mon chere (my dear),” said “Antione. “If anyone we should blame Snively and zhose mechanical malcontents for making things worse.”

“Still something is bothering me about that,” said Silver. “We were trying to convince Red Knight to stop fighting, but it was White Bishop who decided to listen. Why would a newly constructed robot with no apparent connection to that future be willing to give our story consideration?”

“I don’t know,” said Gold. “But when White Bishop spoke to me there was something strange. I couldn’t read her mind, not that my power ever worked on machines, but I felt something almost familiar about her.

“A mystery for another day,” said Nicole. “Right now though we have to focus on protecting Angel Island.”

“I guess we’re going to give Knuckles a call to expect us,” said Rotor.

"He's not the only one,” said Sally. “I want to get in touch with the Council and inform them of what happened, then contact Big and Cream so they can join us there and I have a few more calls planned after that. The black emerald and Chaos are all Specter needs to carry out whatever his master plan is. He has been gathering followers and from the reaction Geoffrey and Lucian got it could be quite a few. This situation is going to be all hands-on deck, we’re going to turn Angel Island into a flying fortress. Once we can secure the black emerald then we find Specter’s hideout get back the essences he’s already gathered, the Chaos Emeralds and our friends, if we can convince them to come home.”

 “We’re really doing this,” Tails sighed. “We’re really going to fight Amy, aren’t we?”

Sally tried to strike the best balance of honest and comforting. “Only if she forces us to.”

Sonic grumbled. “Fiona, sure, Geoffrey, fine, Hershey, didn’t know her that well but I’d understand staying with her husband, Lucian, I had my doubts about him, but I never thought Amy of all people would be on the other side of a fight from us.”

“You ok?” Sally asked. “I thought you both moved on from how she felt about you.”

“Not much for me to move on from, but I get the feeling there’s still a lot that Amy left unsaid and just maybe that’s what led her to making the choice she did. I just hope her still believing we’re friends is how she really feels.

Sally leaned over the table and covered her head. “I hope so too, because if she doesn’t then this will be one fight with no winners, only losers.”

Chapter 18: Dawn of the Darkest Day

Summary:

The Freedom Fighters and the Order of Ixis prepare to clash over the final elemental essence. The people of Echidnaopolis brace for a fierce assault and an ancient secret is revealed.

Chapter Text

Sonic tapped his foot as he looked through the viewport out to the clouds they were flying through. “I wish we could get to Angel Island faster. Why did the ancient Echidna have this place drift so widely across the world?”

“Be thankful that they did,” Sally said from the captain’s chair. “The island’s path is taking it over Freedom City so Big, Cream, Blaze and Marine just needed a lift by a Republic airship.”

“Sounds good,” Tails said from the pilot’s seat. “So, what’s the plan?”

“We’ll discuss it at the joint briefing at Echidnoapolis once all the reinforcements arrive, a couple of hours at most.”

“Reinforcements?” asked Rotor from engineering. “How many are we talking about here?”

“In addition to Echidnaopolis, the Dingo Coalition and the Fire Ants I managed to get members sent in from all of the Freedom Fighter divisions except for the Nerb Freedom Fighters who are still cleaning up the damage the Deadly Six left. When I said this situation was all hands on-deck, I meant It. This could be our last chance to find out what Specter’s master plan for the Chaos Emeralds and these elemental essences is, I’m throwing everything was can spare at it.”

Antione spoke from tactical. “That’s quite ze army, but isn’t it, how you say, overkill?”

“It’s all part of a plan to keep them from figuring out where the emerald is long enough to capture and interrogate one of them into finding their hideout.”

“And the sooner the better!” said Whip. “The faster we reclaim my essence, the faster I can return to my majestically glorious self.”

“Sounds good to me Sally Girl,” Bunnie said from communications. “I’d have just liked to have known sooner than minutes from landin’ and quite frankly it’s kind of odd.”

Sally suddenly seemed nervous. “What are you talking about?”

Nicole spoke while keeping an eye on the radar. “Well, ever since Babylon you’ve been…secretive. You spent the whole trip until now locked in your cabin, sending and receiving encrypted transmissions, you asked to have Sonic bring dinner to you. Honestly, we’re all worried.”

Sally sighed. “I just want this to go perfectly, with Viktor making new weapons like the robots we fought yesterday we can’t afford to fight a war on two fronts and whenever someone like Specter had ever gathered that many Chaos Emeralds it’s never turned out good.”

“Don’t sweat it everybody,” said Sonic. “We’ll get Amy and the others back, return everything the Pick-a-Card club have stolen then everyone can focus on all these weddings everybody has coming up.”

“We’ll be there too,” said Chip. “Even if you can’t see us, you might not all have Sonic’s fur but you’re all true blue.”

“Got that right,” but as soon as Sonic said it, he thought back to a private meeting he had last night with Sally.


 

“If this is a joke, I’m not laughing.”

Sally was taking a long hard look out the porthole in her cabin. “I wish my brother had just told a really bad joke, but Harvey Who backed it up with hard data.”

“So, the Wolf Pack and Felidae warriors guarding the Black Emerald were attacked by some Ixis Wizards, it was just three guys and they were forced to run away.”

“It wasn’t that they failed to get the Black Emerald Sonic, it’s the that they even knew where to look to begin with. The Order of Ixis has a spy in the Freedom Fighters.”

Sonic’s quills bristled. “Alright we’ve had traitors before; Drago Wolf and Sleuth Dawg just to name two; but there's no way it’s a member of this team, we’ve been through too much together!”

“Not many in the Freedom Fighters knew this information and the only other people who did know are either directly involved or connected to the Council.”

“Then maybe it’s one of them. Charlie’s close to Lucian and Fiona, maybe he was working with Masquerade the whole time!”

“From the small number of Ixis Wizards it seemed to have been a scouting mission that was planned suddenly so they got the information very recently. Charlemagne was only let in during a party to watch the Babylon Cup and the attack happened during the race, he didn’t have the time to tell anyone.”

“Alright Mars then, he’s Hershey’s uncle and that grumpy cat was never a sure friend to the Freedom Fighters.”

“The Council and their families were the first people Elias and Harvey investigated, none of them had any suspicious activity for the past month. Besides when Mars was told about Hershey being pregnant his response was ‘Tell me again when my second niece won’t be raised in some bizarre cult, then it will be good news,’ He’s no friend to the Order of Ixis either.”

Sonic sighed in frustration. “I hate to say it, but have we looked into Lupe, Queen Hathor and Professor Pickle?”

“All cleared, Lupe and Hathor would not have had their own people attacked and Professor Pickle hasn’t left his library or spoke with anyone other than his assistant since that meeting. It can’t be either of us since no transmissions were sent from inside the Sky Patrol and both of our movements in here were recorded, but everyone else has gaps where they could have been alone and sent something.”

“Wait, Silver, Gold and Blaze. Maybe if they thought giving this to the Order would keep me alive, they might have done it to save the future. Still a bad call but an understandable one.”

“I’m having them checked out too, but we can’t rule everyone else out either. I don’t want to believe they could betray us, but Mammoth has shown that Ixis Wizards are capable of both mind control and creating magical duplicates so we can’t rely on motive to find our spy. The only way to find them is to catch them in the act.”

Sonic sighed. “Well if they’re in trouble better to know now so we can help them, so what’s the plan?”

“I’ve come up with a strategy that will keep Chaos from Specter while accomplishing two other goals. First is catching a Ixis Wizard, hopefully Amy or one of our other friends, to get the location of the Ixis base, second is to find out who the spy really is.”


Sonic shook himself back to the present, “I still don’t like hiding this from my friends,” he thought to himself. “The fate of the world is at stake we can’t have this spy doing what they want anymore, but I refuse to believe any of you are traitors. Tails, Bunnie, Rotor, Antione, Nicole, if you really have given this info to the Order please have a REALLY good reason for it.”

“I’m getting a signal from Angel Island,” said Bunnie. “I’m patchin’ her through.”

“Attention airship, this is Echidnaopolis Tower,” said an unfamiliar voice. “Please provide your identity, purpose and destination.”

“This is the Freedom Fighter airship Sky Patrol,” Sally said to a panel on the captain’s chair. “We’re arriving to provide additional security and are requesting permission to land at Echidnaopolis airport over.”

“I have the Sky Patrol scheduled to arrive today, please transmit your verification code now.” Sally nodded to Nicole who tapped a few keys on the console. “Your verification code checks out, permission granted to land at pad four, I was also told to inform you that all other Freedom Fighter allied transport and the Babylon Rouges have been cleared and landed. We are sending you an approach vector, enjoy your stay on Angel Island.”

“Zhat was more welcoming zhen I expected,” said Antione. “I never thought echidna security would get to be so accommodating.”

Sally looked at Antione with a sigh of relief. “Well if we didn’t have the right verification code we’d have been blown out of the sky by their new defensive guns.”

“I see the Dark Legion hasn’t completely mellowed out,” said Rotor.

Tails began to go into a slight dive. “We should be getting a visual on the island now.”

The Sky Patrol broke through the clouds and the Freedom Fighters were greeted with a majestic view of the floating island.

“Never get tired of seeing that,” Sonic said to no one in particular.

As the aircraft came closer a modern looking city came to view near the middle of the island.

“Y’all could barely tell it was once leveled,” said Bunnie. “From how fast they rebuilt I’m guessing the Angel Island echidna had to budge on the whole ‘no technology’ thing.”

“Well they have to live with not only the Dark Legion but the Nocturnus as well,” said Nicole. “I’m not surprised some compromise was made given the situation, I just hope that the hatchet stays buried this time.”

Near the back of the bridge Gold and Silver had their eyes fixed on the city. {We’re almost at the city Blaze,} Silver thought. {How are you and Marine holding up?}

{Marine is fine,} Blaze replied through the mental link. {Me, not so much. Getting up here was nerve racking and even now I get the occasional reminder that we’re on an island floating in the sky.}

{You’re still afraid of heights?} Gold said. {Of all the things to carry over when you forgot the future why that?}

{I don’t know, I can push through it if must, but I am always thankful to get back to the ground afterward.}

{Don’t worry,} thought Marine. {Now that I’m in on your mental link I can help with any sudden feelings of panic if they show up instantly.}

{Thanks, but if what Gold told us is true my Acrophobia might be the least of our worries.}

Gold inwardly sighed. {I couldn’t get much on pre-imperium history back in the future that wasn’t propaganda, but what information on the Freedom Fighters we did have mentioned a battle at Angel Island that tore them apart. If I’m right, then this operation will go down as “The Freedom Fighter’s Darkest Day” and all I know about it is that friendships that had lasted years could be broken forever.}

{We can’t let that happen!} said Marine. {We just must have to make sure everyone stays friends!}

{But we don’t know what happened to cause such a break,} Silver said. {But I have two ideas what it could be. If we’re lucky Sonic’s death was the trigger so stopping this was our mission anyway.}

{And the second?}

{That it was caused by events that must occur or nothing we ever did will have never happened.}

Marine mentally groaned. {I was afraid you were going to say that.}

{Gold,} said Blaze. {Since I already let Marine in on our secret shouldn’t you tell Big? I mean with the Soultouch…}

{No, he’s… too gentle, I couldn’t bear to put him through all this. Besides he’ll need to focus on the battle, the best way I can help is to not have these worries distract him. Once this is over, I’ll come clean.}

{Looks like we’re about to touch down,} said Silver. {We’ll pick this up face to face.}

The Sky Patrol came in and landed on the assigned pad, moments later the Freedom Fighters left the airship and were greeted by Knuckles and Julie-Su. “Good to see you again guys,” the guardian said as he took Sonic’s hand.

“Good to see you too Knucklehead,” said Sonic. “I see Julie decided to rock that same synth skin stuff Bunnie uses on occasion.”

Julie stroked her now organic looking antenna quill with an organic looking left arm. “It helped some of the older Angel Islanders ease into letting technology back into their lives. Even after everything with the Twilight Cage and the gene bomb things were touchy for a while, even now there are many arguments, but for the first time it really feels like we can be one people again.”

Knuckles grumbled. “Unfortunately, the biggest thing doing that now is the return of the Order of Ixis, the idea of the echidna civilization’s oldest enemy launching an attack on Angel Island has got everybody on edge.”

“Even with all the Freedom Fighters coming to help?” asked Tails.

“In a way because of it, some people think that if we need this much help it must be bad.”

“Because it probably is,” said Sally. “I’ll explain more when we start the briefing at Echidna Security Team headquarters.”

“Thankfully the Forget Me Knots were already here to put on a concert to welcome the Echidna back so Mina’s singing should help calm them down. Before the briefing starts Relic wants us to stop by the Hall of Learning, something about new developments with the Black Emerald.”

Bunnie gave a nod. “Then we better…”

“Sonic, Chip, Whip and I will go there right away,” Sally interrupted. “This will give the rest of you a chance to catch up with friends in other divisions before we get to work.”

“Uh, thanks?” said Tails.

“I’ll escort them to headquarters,” Julie said just before planting a kiss on Knuckles’ cheek. “See you soon babe.”

After Julie escorted the rest of the Freedom Fighters to a waiting transport Sonic gave Knuckles a playful poke in the ribs. “Seems to me like you two had been making up for lost time, I bet your wedding is going to be the event of the year up here.”

Knuckles slumped over. “Seriously, everyone was so busy building a home here we haven’t had time to plan anything. Finding compromises between two factions that had differing views on how to use technology with people who were traditionally anti-tech, setting up a government that all three factions and the dingoes would find palatable, Nestor playing peacemaker seemingly every ten minutes, Shade and Remington establishing a combined security force, even Lien-da and Finitivus went to straight to work on the security force and defense system against the Ascendancy after the second take of their wedding.”

“It must have been tough,” said Sally. “I know how hardheaded the Echidna can be even when everything is going smoothly.”

“We had our share of bumps, but a few unifying moments too. There’s one you have to see when we get to the Hall of Learning.”

“Sounds good, but once we’re alone I have a favor to ask, it’s about something else we came to do.” Sally turned to the two earth spirits. “And given the stakes here you have to know as well.”


Within the temple’s idol chamber Specter stood before all the Ixis wizards his heralds had managed to recruit. They weren’t all in the temple, they’d be packed like sardines otherwise, but he saw them through various images to where they had secretly gathered through which they could see him.

“Children of Ixis the time has come for you to at last show yourselves to the world, today you will be sent to Angel Island to find the last thing we need to begin the Great Illumination. The foolish and the misguided will try to stop you, but our victory was foretold in the Grand Design.”

“Glory to the Order!” the cloaked followers said from the images. “Eternal power to Ixis!”

“The foes you will face are powerful indeed, but the Heralds will send elementals to aid you. While the Essence of Water is destined to be ours this battle will strain both sides, our foes will fall into despair as they question their bonds, but at the same time your faith will be tested and most if not all of you will fail.”

“Never my lord!” the wizards shouted back.

“Do not fear faltering for it is written in Grand Design that it is in the Darkest Day when all despair blankets the world, then the Great Illumination will shine forth and the truth will forever be etched into hearts of Ixis’ children.”

“Hail Lord Specter! Hail Lord Specter!”

“Now make your final preparations, I will let you know when we attack.” The images faded as Ixis turned to the Heralds behind him. “Ready your elementals, the battles will distract our foes long enough for you to find where the Essence of Water is hidden and claim it as foretold in the Grand Design.”

Amy stepped forward, she and Hershey seemed to be near the end of their pregnancy. “Master I don’t question the will of Ixis, but I have concerns. Up until now we avoided direct confrontation with the Freedom Fighters, but they won’t leave the Black Emerald unguarded. I never wanted to hurt them.”

“Sometimes the sacrifices Ixis asks of us are great, as painful as this will be you are ensuring your child’s destiny to spread the truth of Ixis past this world. Once this is over with, your friends will thank you.”

Geoffrey then stepped up with Amy, “My lord with all due respect I worry about my wife and child. Hershey is in no condition to battle and neither is Amy, they could go into labor at any moment.”

Specter’s mask made him hard to read to the skunk. “The Grand Design requires you all to there, but I can assure you that no harm will befall the young ones, if any risk to the children emerges, I will intervene personally.”

“Thank you, my Lord.”

“I will send the signal shortly. In the meantime, I need you to be nearby.”

With a bow the five were wrapped in stone, wind, flame, water and pink light before flying off. The moment they left Specter began coughing heavily enough to need him to remove his mask to cover his mouth with his hand. When he stopped, he saw Charlemagne’s blood in the palm of his possessed hand. “This body will not last much longer,” he thought. “But it soon won’t matter. After we get last essence it will bring to me the true final piece to elemental war, the culmination of a score millennia of preparation, a perfect vessel."


Chip growled as Knuckles brought them into the Hall of Learning. “I refuse to believe it, there has to be another explanation. These Ixis guys can use magic right?! Maybe they found the Black Emerald was here from a spell, then they wouldn’t need a traitor!”

Sally shook her head. “If that were the case, the Order probably would have found the essences of earth and air a month ago at least. Hopefully, we can clear everyone and find what is really going on.”

“I’m not surprised in the least,” said Whip. “You cells are so fickle and easily manipulated, with the number of wars on this planet even before the Xorda I’m surprised there’s enough life for me and my counterpart to need to…”

“Bo-bo!”

A tiny echidna wearing blue footie came toddling up to Knuckles before banging a well-used looking rattle against his thigh.

Knuckles squatted down to the tyke who now began using the rattle on the guardian’s head before he was picked up to out of his little arms reach. “Hey Kneecaps, come to your Bo-bo. What are you doing here you little rascal?”

“Excuse me,” an Echidna woman in yellow robes said to a guard down the hall. “My baby boy Knecapeon Mace wandered off, have you seen him?”

“Ma-ma!” Kneecaps reached for his mother.

“I got him mom,” Knuckles called out. “He’s perfectly safe.”

Lara-le came up and gave a sort bow. “It’s nice to see you again Sonic, your highness. I’m sorry about this, since he started walking Kneecaps has been quite the little explorer.”

Sally laughed. “I have a step-niece his age who’s been the same way to my brother and sister-in-law, something tells me they’d be fast friends. So, what brings you to a scientific research lab?”

Lara took the toddler from Knuckles’ grip and sat him on her arm. “I have a checkup with a doctor here today, I was just about to drop Kneecaps off at the daycare before then.”

“We were actually on our way there,” said Knuckles. “I wanted to show Sonic and Sally the puggles before meeting Relic.”

“Ugh, do we really have time to look at more brats?” grumbled Whip. “If something is happening to a vessel that can hold an essence like ours, I’d rather know now.”

“It’s something Athair told me to check in on while I was here, don’t worry it shouldn’t take long.”

“Still this doesn’t seem to be the sort of place a family doctor would set up an office, what kind of checkup would you do here?” Sonic asked as they turned a corner.

Lara saw Knuckles shoot a concerned look at her direction. “One that needs a specialist, I can’t say any more, we decided to keep it a family matter.”

Knuckles sighed as he remembered when the hard truth hit nearly a month ago.


“Why have you both been seeing Finitivus?” Knuckles asked his mother and stepfather Wynmacher, Julie-su stood nearby watching silently. “I know everyone’s supposed to be putting the past behind them and try to move on to a new future together but from what I heard this started before you got out of the Twilight Cage and when the issue of technology comes up you’ve been siding with the Nocturnus when I remember you would usually be hesitant about reintroducing it. Whatever changed had to have been while you were banished so tell me what happened.”

Wynmacher sighed. “We didn’t want you to worry about your mother, not when you’re already worrying about the rebuilding, Robotnick and this new Order of Ixis.”

“Why would I be worried about…”

“Dear,” Lara interrupted. “Can you take Julie and see if Knecapeon’s awake yet? I think it would be best if he just learned it mother to son.”

“Of course,” said Wynmacher. “I’m sure my boy’s eager to play by now.”

After Wyn and Julie left Lara looked out the window to the setting sun. “I’m sorry I wasn’t there to comfort you when your father died. I…didn’t even know Locke had died until after Julie-Su and Shade rescued us from the Imperator.”

Knuckles bowed his head. “That was my fault. I felt so ashamed of what I did as Enerjak I couldn’t bear to have you see me; I didn’t want to cause you anymore grief.”

“You’re my son, nothing would have made me stop loving you. I understand your pain, as far as your father and I had drifted apart, despite what he did to you and that he stood with the Brotherhood of Guardians instead of letting me help to raise you, you still loved him. I loved him too once, maybe a part of me still does, but I had to move on and live my life. When Knecapeon was born I thought I had what I was denied, a chance to raise a son in a loving home, but nothing is ever simple is it?”

Knuckles took her hand. “What are you talking about?”

Lara took a deep breath and looked into her son’s eyes. “I was made to mine ore in one of the Imperator’s mines. But while that was happening, I began frequently getting short on breath, my bones ached even after a full night’s rest and my short-term memory had been going in and out. Once the overseer learned about this I was taken out and not given any more labor, he said a dying prisoner made for a poor laborer. I found out I contracted a rare disease, the Nocturnus called it The Long Requiem, there is no cure.”

Knuckles grabbed his mother. “We can take you to Freedom City! They have the best doctors…”

“We’re already working on it my son. After Finitivus became sane again and found out about my condition he thought he could make a treatment by using technology derived by the Voxai and it shows a lot of promise. The Gene Bomb interrupted the planning stage, but he’s been working on this treatment every spare moment his wife can give him. It should be ready in a few weeks and then we’ll know if it works.”

“And if it doesn’t?”

Lara looked back out to the sunset. “Then I have seven, maybe eight years left.”

Knuckles punched a nearby table breaking it as tears began flowing from his eyes. “This isn’t fair! I just got you back I can’t lose you again, not after everything I’ve been through! My little brother needs a mom, someone to see him grow up to be a man! Wyn needs his wife, everyone who looks up to you needs you!”

“Knuckles you can’t fix everything; it simply is what it is. Like I said the tests so far look good, we just have to wait until he can finish making the needed machine.”

“Mom, I wish I could have been the sort of guardian you would have been proud of.”

Lara cupped her son’s cheek. “You already are, I might not have agreed on every choice you made, but you took this mantle well. But if the worst does happen, I’m going to need to do two things. First if possible, I’d like whatever children you have be given the choice on whether they wish to be a Guardian or not. Second, I need you and Julie to help Wyn look after your brother, by then he’ll be old enough to understand what death is, let him know that even if I’m not there I still love him. Just like your father still loves you, and so do I.”


Knuckles shook out the thought, “The treatment would have already been done if we didn’t need Finitivus’ help preparing our defenses. I just have to make it through today, Mom’s going to be there for Kneecaps, her grandkids and great-grandkids if I have anything to say about it.”

“We’re here,” said Lara as she put down Kneecaps before he toddled off to a stack of blocks before using his rattle to knock them over.

“Ah Knuckles, there you are,” said a purple echidna female standing next to a crib. “Athair told me you’d be stopping by.”

“Thanks for taking time off teaching to look after them today Komi-Ko,” said Knuckles. “It’s going to be a load off Remington’s mind that you’re on top of things here so he can focus on the defense. How are they?”

“See for yourself,” she motioned to the inside of the crib. Sonic and Sally looked in and found two tiny baby echidnas; a red boy and a pink girl; laying on their stomachs and looking at each other only wearing diapers and happily sucking on pacifiers.

Sally gasped. “Is that…?”

Knuckles nodded. “Aurora and Enerjak, they hatched a couple of weeks ago. Nothing quite unites your people like knowing the goddess of life and the god of destruction had been reborn among you after reconciling millennia worth of differences.”

Sonic looked at the babies curiously. “Are there any signs that they remember who they are?”

Komi-ko shook her head. “Athair said that their memories are probably buried deep within their minds, he doesn’t think they’d be able to understand them in their current state. As much reverence and fear we gave each of them respectively it was decided it’s best to just treat them like the sweet innocent little babies they seem to be.” The two each dropped their pacifiers as they gave big yawns, Komi-ko gently turned each of them over on their backs. “And for right now that means nap time.”

Chip smiled at the sight. “So much potential, at this point there’s only endless possibilities ahead of them.” He turned to Whip. “Isn’t it incredible?”

“From their viewpoint I guess,” said the dragon sprite. “Although as I see it all these cells are newborns for their whole lives in comparison to us.”

“Excuse me,” said a red echidna standing in the door with bushy brown eyebrows, a pair of glasses, a brown trench coat and numerous cybernetics. “I don’t want to interrupt but Relic is starting to get anxious.”

“Sorry about that,” said Knuckles. “This is Cobar, he was the Dark Legion’s top scientist for years but since coming back from the Twilight Cage he’s been collating the accumulated the knowledge of all three tribes into a combined archive. He and Relic have gotten to be good friends, REALLY good friends if you catch my drift.”

“Actually, I have been corresponding with Rotor as well,” the Scientist said trying to change the subject with a blush. “He was quite helpful troubleshooting a few mechanical problems. But I’m supposed to get you to the Chaos Energy Research Laboratory, we’ll be able to explain what’s going better if we show you.”

“I have to get to my appointment as well,” said Lara-le. “Be careful out there everyone.”

As they came left the daycare Kneecaps noticed the door was slightly ajar.

“Bo-bo.”


 

Cobar brought them into a room that seemed to be equal parts scientific laboratory and museum. The blue pika looked up from a magnifying glass that was fixed over a table. “Good you’re here.”

“Sorry for the delay,” said Sonic. “But what was so important that we had to hold up the mission briefing?”

“Take a look,” Relic motioned for everyone to come to the table and placed the magnifying glass into position.

Sonic gazed into the glass at the relic known as both the Ancient Onyx and the Black Emerald, but unlike the last couple of times Sonic had seen it a noticeable crack was visible on top of the gem. “That’s no good. The last time this was cracked opened Station Square was nearly destroyed.”

“What happened?” asked Sally. “Did it get dropped or damaged by those scouts?”

“That’s the strange thing, from Cobar’s analysis the initial fissure started about a month ago, then I had it secured in the house the Chaotix built for me. They only started to get noticeable within the last week and it seems to have accelerated yesterday.”

Chip flew up to the emerald and held his hand out to it. “I sense nine presences inside, but one is in deep pain. It began to feel others like it, and felt their power being taken from them. Sonic, I recognize one those moments! It was when our essence was stolen!”

“Then the one in in pain has got to be Chaos,” said Knuckles.

“The timing matches up,” said Sally. “It began cracking a month ago, about when they took Iblis from Blaze, the two Gaias were depowered days ago and Angelus was taken yesterday. Somehow he began to recognize that others like him were being violated.”

Sonic noticed the crack grow a centimeter longer. “Doesn’t sound like he’d be happy if he got out.”

Sally looked up from the magnifying glass. “Tikal and the server chao are probably trying to ease that pain or hold him back, but if the Order of Ixis gets a hold of this it won’t matter they’ll just seal him in a new prison like they did Iblis. Even if he gets free since Specter has all the Chaos Emeralds, Chaos himself won’t be able to reach full power, he won’t be able to resist.”

“I wouldn’t count him out yet,” said Whip. “Chaos might require an external source of power to access his full power, but it won’t always be that way.”

“Not to mention the server chao,” said Knuckles. “Even after the Great Harmony they still might be able to become super emeralds but I only see that happening in this case if Chaos is willing to fight with us and even then I say only as an absolute last resort.”

Sally nodded. “Thanks for letting us know but now we have to get ready to move this thing, Angel Island just isn’t safe enough for it anymore. We still need it as bait to find where Specter’s hiding but after the operation today we’ll move it into the vaults under Freedom City until the current crisis is over, Eggman built those to contain powerful artifacts and weapons like this.”

Cobar nodded. “We still have an analysis running on the emerald’s integrity, but once it’s over we’ll take it to the agreed secure location.”

“In that case we better get to Echidna Security Team Headquarters,” said Sonic.

After the Freedom Fighters left and the two scientists continued their work no one noticed Kneecaps come into the room, or that a orange ball of light left the black emerald and stop right in front of the toddler.

“Oooooooo.”


At E.S.T. H.Q. several Freedom Fighters were gathered in a large briefing room, everyone was waiting for the actual meeting to begin.

Over in one corner Big took Gold’s hands “I missed you Goldie,”

“I missed you too,” said the Tenrec.

The frog on top of Big’s head croaked.

“Yes Froggie, I missed you too.”

Tails and Cream sat down on two folding chairs that were quickly set up. “So, how’s your first trip to Angel Island been so far?” Tails asked.

“Lovely, I can tell that the Echidna think this place is special. That’s why everyone is so eager to protect it.” Cream looked down. “But that means no matter what happens today someone’s going to get hurt.”

Tails sighed. “I know, this isn’t like when Eggman attracted people to the Dark Egg Legion by preying on the greedy and the desperate. Amy, Lucian, Geoffrey, Hershey, Fiona, almost everyone Specter’s throwing at us is doing this because one way or another they believe they’re the good guys. You’re brave, agreeing to fight when it’s the last thing you want.

“The thing I hate about fighting is that it hurts people but if me fighting, even having to hurt someone myself will keep someone else from getting hurt worse then I’ll hate myself for it but it’s something I’m willing to do if there is simply no other way. Father felt the same way and that was what first got mother to fall in love with him.”

Tails took Cream’s hand. “Hopefully once this is over and we can stop the Order of Ixis and the Robotnick Ascendancy for good, none of us will ever have to fight again.”

Nearby Nicole was inspecting a pair of chrome gauntlets Shard had on his forearms and hands. “So, they absorb the shock of the impact by converting kinetic energy into thermal, how often does the heat need to be vented?”

“About an hour after normal use,” said Shard. “Fifteen minutes if I’m really slugging it out. But I prefer to do it sooner as a tactical move, the venting creates a steam cloud that can mask my position, good for hit and run tactics. How about that cyber suit any lag time while interfacing?”

“About a .02 second delay, unnoticeable for most but it gets annoying since as a digital being the only lag I experienced before was my own processing power. Still I’m grateful that my most useful skills can still help my friends.”

“We really miss those hacking skills at the Secret Freedom Fighters. You know with Silver focusing all his attention on protecting Sonic there’s been an opening on the team for over a month, you and me working together on a regular basis would be, nice.”

“I, I can’t do that to Sally, between Viktor and Specter she needs me now more than ever. She always stood up for me, even when I became Iron Nicole she knew the real me was somewhere inside Regina’s spell, those horrible days when I was ostracized from New Mobotropolis it felt all the worse because she wasn’t there to help me and I was beginning to think it was because it was my fault. I think you’ll eventually find someone who will be able to help you out, but I’ll come help whenever I can, after all I love you.”

Nearby Mighty sighed at the sight of the couples, Ray put a hand on his shoulder. “It’s ok brother, we’ll get Fiona back.”

A green armadillo girl crossed her mechanical arms with built in pile drivers. “Ok you had a bit of a history with this girl, you each thought the other was attractive and that was how you got into this whole soultouch thing, but you getting all mopey about a vixen who was only really your girlfriend for a day doesn’t make sense to me. If we didn’t have our DNA patched over then she’d just be someone you knew once and hadn’t seen in years and for a lot of that time she was on the opposite side of you.”

Ray looked at the girl with sympathy. “Matilda, your story and Fiona’s actually have a lot in common. You were both captured by Robotnick and suffered because of it, you both chose to do bad things because you felt it was the only way to survive, you both also closed yourselves off because you lost faith in people.”

Suddenly Mighty spoke up. “There’s one more thing and it applies to me too. Like the two of us she is the child of criminals.”

The stoic girl raised an eyebrow. “You never just straight up admitted that about Mom and Dad before, usually you tried to make up some excuse for them getting locked up.”

“I talked with Fiona’s parents while she was still missing and listening to their story it made me realize that our parents could love us intently and still have made selfish choices. It’s cruelly ironic but while I used this strength Mammoth gave me to protect the weak when it mattered the most, I couldn’t save the ones most important to me. You, Mom, Dad, Ray and Fiona; I couldn’t free her from Robotnick and it planted a seed of bitterness that almost choked all that was good right out of her, even after we fell in love she got brainwashed into helping Specter because I didn’t check on how she was doing as soon as I got back!”

“Brother,” said Matilda. “We hadn’t been back together long, but I can tell even more than Ray your one constant companion has been guilt. You don’t have to keep blaming yourself for those you couldn’t save, the Freedom Fighters are trying to get her and the others back so you’re not alone in this.”

Mighty took a breath. “Thanks, still I know deep down she wants me to be the one to rescue her.”

Ray spotted Marine across the room. “If you’ll excuse me there’s someone I need to catch up with.”

Matilda shook her head as she watched the raccoon and flying squirrel embrace. “I get all the changes the two of them went through had made him that way, but it still seems weird to see you two each obsess over some girl.”

Mighty smiled at his sister. “Well Tilly one day, and it might come sooner than you think, you’ll find someone who you’ll probably obsess over.” Mighty then looked as if he was trying to glare a hole into an invisible someone. “But whoever it is better respect you or …”

Matilda shoved her clenched mechanized fist an inch from Mighty’s nose. “He’ll get this,” she said like she commented that it looked like it was going to rain.

Mighty suddenly went from nervous to laughing. “Sis, I’m convinced once you are comfortable enough to get out of your emotional shell, you’ll have more friends than you’ll know what to do with.”

Matilda gave the barest hint of a smile.

“Alright everyone, listen up!” Remington yelled from near a podium. “The Guardian, Princess Sally and Sonic have arrived so it’s time to get this briefing started!”

Sally came up to the podium as everyone else took a seat. “Thank you all for coming, Echidna Security Team and Freedom Fighters alike. First, I’d like to hold a roll call of who’s here from each division who pledged support. Let’s start with the Artic Freedom Fighters.”

“Guntiver here along with Erma Ermine and Augustus Polar Bear,” said the Artic Wolf.

“Good, next Dragon Kingdom.”

Dulcy stood up. “I brought Ken Khan and Cinder Pheasant.”

“Thank you for personally coming empress. Crazy Kritters.”

King Rob O’ the Hedge stood. “Bow Sparrow, Thorn the Lop and myself pledge ourselves to your cause.”

“We’re glad to have you your highness. Downunda Freedom Fighters.”

Walt Wallby stood seeming a little antsy. “Barby Koloa, Wombat Stu and I are ready for a ripper of a fight.”

“Glad to hear it," Sally fiddled with the list on the podium confused. “Desert Raiders? I’m not sure I’ve heard you before.”

An orange porcupine shakenly stood up with a mint green colored fennec fox and a large purple mole. “Spike the Porcupine here, these are my friends Sonar the Fennec and Treavor Burrow. You might not have heard much from us because… we collaborated with the Midesta Dark Egg Legion. Their leader was a mother to us when we were orphaned, she joined Eggman to keep us out of harm’s way. All our fights were staged to keep a perpetual stalemate in the region, we didn’t think we could win so an unending tie was the best we could hope for, until Eggman’s brainboxes made us drop the act.”

“Hey, don’t be so down on yourselves,” said Sonic. “You didn’t want to hurt family and made a mistake; fact is you’re here today so you can make up for it by helping us save the world!”

Spike, Sonar and Trevor gave a salute. “Thanks Sonic, we won’t let you down!”

Sally nodded as the trio sat back down. “Forty Fathom Freedom Fighters.”

A clam in a tank was lifted by two Mobians who seemed very unusual to the rest of the room. They resembled a grey shark and purple dolphin that instead of resembling mobini like most oceanic Mobians they were closer to normal Mobians with more humanoid bodies complete with arms and legs. The shark even had a dark green Chao with a spiky ball hovering over him, fin like wings and a mouth full of sharp looking teeth.

“Uh Bivalve here,” said the Clam. “The FFFF weren’t sure we’d actually be able to help that much but Ray the Manta managed to convince the King and Queen of Meropis to allow two members of team who live there to come up here with me.”

“Meropis?” asked Sally.

“It’s an undersea city in the middle of the Central Sea, Meropians are more like you surface Mobians than the rest of us sea folk but they had been extremely cautious of the surface for thousands of years. But now they’re on our side so let me introduce Razor the Shark and Echo the Dolphin.”

“I’m technically on loan from the city guard,” said Echo. “But I’ll give it my all."

“Don’t forget my buddy Crusher here,” Razor said pointing to the chao. “He may have started out as a crybaby but now he’s tough as nails.”

Cheese flew over and tried to shake Crusher’s hand, but a growl from the fierce chao made him hide behind Cream’s leg.

Sally gave the sea dwellers a thumbs up. “Well once this is over, I hope Meropis and the rest of the world can enjoy a long and prosperous friendship. Next not officially Freedom Fighters but allies none the less the Babylon Rouges.”

“Oh, we’re ready to scrap,” Jet said as Wave, Storm and Corva gave nods in the affirmative.

“Malada Island Freedom Fighters.”

Tangle, Sticks and Whisper stood up. “Being on real mission with you guys,” said Tangle. “This is going to rock!”

“You said it!” said Sticks. “We’re fighting with the real heroes now!”

“I’m…glad,” Whisper whispered.

“Finally, the Secret Freedom Fighters.”

Shard alone stood up. “Sadly, I’m all they could spare. We got intel this morning that Robotnick is planning some sort of major offensive on the United Federation, everyone else is trying to figure out where he’s going to strike and I’m also here to make sure he doesn’t take advantage of the situation up here.”

“We’ll take all the help we can get. Ok, that is all the pledged divisions now onto the briefing itself with the Echidna Security Team. You have all been called here because we’re expecting an eminent attack from the Order of Ixis.”

“For our Freedom Fighter allies and those on the security team who slept during that part of Echidna History class the Order of Ixis were an ancient group of wizards who in their attempts to take over Mobius ten thousand years ago started a war with Albion that lasted two centuries,” said Remington. “Now a new group of wizards have taken their mantle and are targeting our home once again.”

“Why?” Lien-Da asked near a group of Echidna with cybernetics. “I as much as I understand revenge as a motive if we’re getting this much help from the outside then there’s got to be more to it.”

Sally nodded to former grandmaster. “What’s been kept classified until now is that the Order of Ixis is trying to carry out some plan that involves Chaos Emeralds and the essences of beings who embody the elements they manipulate. All they need now is the Essence of Water from Chaos who slumbers within the Black Emerald, during the Phantom Ruby War that emerald was brought to Angel Island and the order already tried to take it.”

Murmurs spread through the crowd. “Why not just move it?” asked Shade near a group of echidnas who   like her were wearing form fitting black armor. “If they know it’s here why not just hide it somewhere safer?”

“Because while defending this city and its people is our primary goal, we also have to think long term. This is our chance to capture and interrogate one of them, once we learn where the Order’s hideout is, we can take back the Emeralds and the Essences they’ve already stolen and put a stop to them for good.”

“We got the best teams on Mobius right here!” said Sonic. “If anyone can pull it off it’s you guys!”

Applause came from the crowd before Sally motioned for them to return to silence.

“The Black Emerald itself will be moved from its current safehouse to a classified location. The plan is to confuse the Order by setting up several decoy teams as diversions. Once we capture one or more Ixis Wizards the Black Emerald will be sent via warp ring to the vaults under Freedom City, that should force the rest to retreat. To maximize security of the Black Emerald only the team guarding it will know its location, the rest will only be informed that their team is one of the decoys. The E.S.T. will make sure Echidnaopolis is protected while each division will be assigned to one the island’s other zones along with a Knothole Freedom Fighter and a member of the Chaotix. Sonic and I will be on standby to help any team in trouble while Knuckles will keep watch over the Master Emerald.”

“That’s the plan,” said Remington. “Now to give all teams their assigned zones. First off, Lien-da and Shade will be the E.S.T. field commanders in the city and will accompanied by Julie-su of the Chaotix and Nicole Ellidy of the Knothole Freedom Fighters.”

“Ellidy?” asked Julie.

“Something I’ve taken to calling myself lately,” said Nicole. “Long story.”

“Whatever,” said Lien-da. “We might be on the same side right now but don’t expect me to sit down for tea and cookies anytime soon.”

Shade shook her head. “She’s really been getting better, but she isn’t what you’d call sociable with most people.”

Remington sighed at his Aunt’s gruffness. “Rotor and Ray, you’re teaming up with Artic Fighters in Ice Cap Zone.”

“Just like home,” said Augustus. “We should all be able to handle it no sweat.”

“Speak for yourself,” said Ray. “The rest of you may be used to the cold but I’m glad I added a scarf to my outfit.”

“Dragon Kingdom will be teamed up with Blaze and Liza at Lava Reef.”

“Are you sure you can handle this?” asked Blaze. “My fire powers can keep me safe from the lava flows but it’s going to be very dangerous for the rest of you.”

“Cinder has fire powers of her own and dragons like the empress have been known to use lava pools like hot tubs,” said Ken. “As for me and Liza she managed to get some fire shields for us courtesy of Hope Kintobor, we’ll take the heat.”

“Hydrocity Zone goes to Big, Marine, Vector and the Forty Fathom Freedom Fighters”

“We’re all the best swimmers so it makes sense,” said Vector.

“I’m just glad to be able to stretch my legs,” said Bivalve. “So to speak.”

“Babylon Rouges you’ll be teaming up Tails and Charmy at Sky Sanctuary Zone, oh and we’ve already catalogued all the relics up there, so we’ll know if you’ve stolen anything.”

“Spoilsports,” grumbled Wave.

“Antione and Saffron will be assisting the Crazy Kritters at Mushroom Hill Zone.”

“It will be an honor to be at your side,” Antione said bowing to Rob.

“You guys can count on us!” said Saffron.

“Marble Garden Zone will be protected by the Malada Freedom Fighters alongside Espio and Silver.”

Espio turned to the girls. “I am looking forward to seeing what Valdez’s students have learned from him.”

“Thanks,” said Whisper.

“The Dingoes are covering most of Sandopolis Zone but the Desert Raiders, Cream, Mighty and Gold will be covering an identified hole in their parameter and give backup if requested.”

“Chao, Chao,” said Cheese.

“Don’t worry,” said Cream. “We’ll bring plenty of water.

“Alright,” said Spike. “Here’s our shot at being real heroes for a change!”

“Finally, Sky Canyon is assigned to the Downunda Freedom Fighters, Bunnie and…huh, looks like we’re out Chaotix to…”

Matilda raised her hand. “I’ll go with them, Bunnie and I worked together in the Great Desert Chapter of the D.E.L. that should cover things in that department.”

“Fine by us,” said Barby. “We could use some Legionized muscle.”

Remington nodded. “Thank you for volunteering Matilda, you’ll all be told if your team is a decoy or the guards of the Black Emerald by Commander Acorn in induvial team meetings. Sky Sanctuary team please stay for your meeting, other teams please go to lobby and return when you’re called, the rest of you, head out to your assignments.”

As most of the assembled began to file out Sonic began to inwardly steel himself. He knew Sally split up their own team among all the others for two reasons, the surface was to give each group support from the most successful division but the hidden reason was to figure who in their team, their family, was a spy.


Up on the Colossus Snively had stepped out of the shower of his personal quarters, he had finally gotten off all the spray Geoffrey covered him in after burning his old clothes and had just wrapped a towel around his waist. Robotnick was pleased, that his new prototypes passed their performance test with flying colors, he and the S6 just got a “better luck next time” and was dismissed which looking back was a better reaction than normal but still not worth getting his butt handed back to him by the Sonic’s insufferable band.

He was about to catch up on some much-needed sleep before a nearby communicator turned on as Regina’s face appeared. “Snively!”

“AH!” The lackey nearly dropped his towel in surprise.

“Oh,” Regina said with a blush. “Sorry I caught you at a bad time, but I need your help. Specter is going to launch a major attack today and once it’s successful he’ll carry out his plan for world domination. Can you get Viktor to send you on another mission?”

Snively sighed. “I think he forgot you were involved in the last one. Unless he can get something worthwhile, I don’t see him bending over backwards for you.”

“How about the exact location of the Temple of Ixis?”

Snivley had to keep his towel from slipping a second time. “You mean Specter’s hideout!?”

“We need Viktor to launch an attack just as we're conducting an important ritual. I can’t tell you the location directly, Specter has a way to find out if we’re lying to him, but this plan should let him find us on his own. Once you get the ok I’ll need you to wear some kind of tracking device for Viktor, then I’ll send you some of the garments we give to initiates of order and you’ll come back through the same gate in disguise after that all Robotnick has to do is follow the signal while you help us with our plan.”

“I’ll see what I can do my dear, Doctor Robotnick mentioned he was planning several simultaneous assaults today and I don’t think he’ll delay them.”

“I can probably hold out until tomorrow but not much longer. I’ll call you again once I have a safe opportunity to do so. Until then my Snively.”

The communication cut off, Snivley went into his closet and picked out a fresh outfit instead of the pajamas he had been planning to slip into. “Looks like bed will have to wait a little while longer.”


Sonic, Sally, Knuckles, Chip and Whip were alone in the conference room after the last team left. Sonic grumbled as he leaned against the wall. “I hate this plan, we’re lying to our friends, the Freedom Fighters, the people of Angel Island, everyone.”

“I know,” said Sally. “But this is the best option we have, and we never out and out lied we were just economical with the truth.”

“It is a smart plan,” said Knuckles. “Tell each team they’re one of the decoys then I warp ring the emerald to the Freedom City Vaults and head back to the Master Emerald shrine before anyone notices the thing is gone.”

“Once we have our prisoner, we’ll get reports in from every division about who was attacked. If one of the teams is ignored, we can assume that the Order was told that team was a decoy and we’ll have our spy.”

“But the echidna are in danger over something that isn’t going to be on the island anymore,” said Chip. “And we can’t even be sure there is a spy at all, they could just be lucky for all we know.”

“Doubtful,” said Whip. “But in my opinion, we should ignore the spy for now and focus on finding my essence.”

“Look,” said Knuckles. “It is the worst possible plan, except for all the others available. Right now, we should focus on the task at hand, for me that means heading back to Relic and getting…”

Suddenly a call came in on Sally’s Miles Electric, Relic appeared on the screen. “Guys we have a problem! The Black Emerald is gone!”

“Gone!?!” yelled Sonic. “I thought you were doing an analysis on that thing! How could you lose it?!”

“Cobar and I just turned our backs for a minute to follow some readouts when we came back around it was gone!”

Sally looked like she was beginning to have a panic attack. “If the Order managed to steal it already then all this planning was for nothing!”

“Now stay calm everyone,” said Knuckles. “It might have just been misplaced.”

“Knuckles!” Lara-Le and Wynmacher ran into the room. “Knecapceon snuck out of the daycare, we can’t find your brother anywhere!”

“Ok, get the E.S.T. to keep an eye out for him and I’ll join in once I find the black emerald, I should be able to sense it like Master and Chaos Emeralds.” Knuckles closed his eyes. “The Hidden Palace? Why would someone bring it there?”

Knuckles used a warp ring to open a portal to where he sensed the emerald.

“Ma-ma, Da-da, Bo-bo!”

Kneecaps was on the other side holding the Black Emerald in a room none of them had ever seen before. As they all stepped through Sonic saw he was in a large rocky cavern around which he noticed seven daises with palm fronds laid out as if expecting to have something large placed on top of them. The center was dominated by a larger dais with green crystals holding up something he saw may times before.

“What is the Master Emerald doing in here?” asked Knuckles.

“How did my baby get from the daycare all the way here?!” Lara said as she scooped her child up.

“I brought the Master Emerald here,” Athair said as he came from behind the Master Emerald’s dais. “I did so when this little one came to with the one who lead us here and requested that I bring it with me.”

An orange ball of light flew down and soon took the form of an orange female echidna wearing ancient looking clothing with gold necklace and headband.

“Tikal,” said Sonic. “How are you here? Is this because the Black Emerald is cracking?”

The girl from ages past nodded. “Since the last time we met Chaos has begun to understand more of why he had been changed from an ordinary Chao to the elemental he is today, that he was meant to balance his power with others like him.”

“Like us,” said Chip. “Even when I didn’t know the surface, I could feel other forces both pushing and pulling at us, trying to find a balance and harmony.”

“But in recent days as that power was pulled from the others, he felt the need to escape, restore what was taken and bring his wrath on those responsible. He means to take what Chaos Emeralds he can to assume his perfect form and begin another cycle of disaster and tragedy.”

“That’s not possible,” said Sally. “Since the Great Harmony there are only seven Chaos Emeralds accessible to Mobius, and right now all of those are in the hands of the Order of Ixis, the very same people taking essences. All Chaos would succeed in doing is walking right into their trap and give their leader Specter the last thing he needs to conquer the world!”

A tear fell from Tikal’s eye. “Then it is even worse than I feared! Since Chaos cannot assume his perfect form, we cannot hope to resist the powers of the other three, we need to repair and seal the Black Emerald away from this world before all is lost!”

“Seal it away?” said Knuckles. “But that means you, Chaos and the Server Chao will be cut off from Mobius forever!”

Tikal’s tears continued. “It is a sacrifice…”

“That is simply unacceptable!” huffed Whip. “Chaos’ life force is tied to the power of water in this world now, if he is sealed away from it every puddle, stream, lake, river, and ocean will dry up, it would be the end of life on this planet! You’d cause the very thing you’re trying to prevent!”

Sonic looked at Whip with a raised eyebrow. “Aren’t you supposed to be all about destruction?”

“My awakenings are like a forest fire clearing away old growth so new growth can flourish. Even Iblis was supposed to represent both the destructive and creative aspects of fire until Mephiles the Dark had interfered thanks to those scientists and perhaps once it is sealed within Blaze again it can learn balance from her by the time her life ends. The point is our power is vital to this world and cutting us off from it is the last thing you want to do. But repairing the emerald and keeping it safe is the best out of our dwindling options.”

“I don’t get it but sounds good to me,” said Wynmacher. “How can we fix this thing?”

Tikal nodded. “The Master Emerald has power over the Chaos Emerald, but to affect one physically it would need more power than it has, that is why I asked the little one to help me bring it into this chamber. It was built by the All-Seers, echidna who used Chaos Power to try to read the future and my mother’s ancestors, and from their visions they foresaw the Great Harmony and the creation of the Master Emerald. If the server chao were to use this chamber to give their power to the Master Emerald, then it could restore the Black Emerald.”

“But that would mean the server chao would forever lose the power to become Super Emeralds,” said Athair. “Are they willing to make such a sacrifice?”

“It was them who told me of this plan, that they were meant to hold onto that power only for a time so that a prophecy would be fulfilled.”

“Is this a good or bad prophecy?” asked Sally. “We’ve had our run ins with both kinds.”

“According to the All-Seers there were to be three who would take our world into a bright future; The Avatar who would embody power of the Chaos Force and create the controller, The Chosen One who would bring about the Great Harmony by sealing most of the emeralds away from those who’d abuse them, and The Destined Hero who would bind new servers to be in touch with the controller allowing them to reach their greatest power in times creation would need it most.”

“So, Knuckles is the Avatar and Tails is the Chosen One,” said Athair. “But I’ve never heard of the Destined Hero.”

“You need not look far,” Tikal then pointed at hedgehog in the room. “For the Destined Hero is you Sonic!”

Sonic then pointed at himself. “Me?! Does this mean I’m going to turn into a living gem like Knuckles or get hideously muscleified like Tails did?”

Sally rolled her eyes. “You just learned you might have to save the universe itself and that’s what you’re worried about?”

“You need not worry about it for now,” said Tikal. “For that task is still yet to come, but for now we need to call forth the Server Chao and Chaos from the Black Emerald so that it can be repaired. I will keep Chaos calm while the chao empower the master emerald. Knuckles they will need your help to give their power to the Master Emerald.”

“Ok, let’s do it.”

Knuckles took the black gem from his baby half-brother and placed it on the ground. Eight lights left the black emerald from the crack, seven went to each of the other daises and each changed into a chao the eighth came over to Tikal and became a watery humanoid who tried to appear menacing but then fell to its knees.

Chip went over to the creature. “It’s ok, Sonic’s going to get all the essence back. We are going to be fine you do not have to fight.

Chaos nodded to Chip silently.

Knuckles and Tikal both waved their hand before the Master Emerald then began speaking aloud together. The chao each began to glow in a different color. “The servers are the seven Chaos. Chaos is power. Power is enriched by the heart. The heart is the controller. The controller serves to unify the chaos."

The colored light flew from each chao into the Master Emerald the chao then sat down looking tired. Tikal bowed her head toward them. “Thank you so much, please rest now. All we have to do now is use the power of Master Emerald to restore the Black Emerald.”

“I’m afraid that’s not in the cards.”

Three things happened at once; a sharp looking gemstone flew out and shattered the Black Emerald, Chaos moved to protect Tikal and several orbs of energy sought out and struck the two of them and the seven Chao enveloping them in a strange barrier.

Sonic turned to find an opening had appeared in one side of the room where the Five Elite had just entered from.

“Amy!” Sonic and Sally shouted out at the same time.

Amy looked sad but resolved. “I am truly sorry, but that jewel was an unfit vessel for Essence of Water.”

With a gesture Amy thrown all nine barriers into the Master Emerald. The Chao and Tikal screamed as it looked like the giant gem was absorbing them.

“Sonic listen to me!” yelled Tikal. “Don’t let Specter deceive you! Remember what the Titans did for this world, that’s to only way to…!”

Before she could finish Tikal, Chaos and the server chao were pulled into the Master Emerald.

Everyone turned back to Amy and the Elite. “The Master Emerald is the Vessel of Water that the Grand Design requires. I beg you let us have it and no will be hurt, now or ever again.”

“No one will be hurt?!” yelled Knuckles. “Without the Master Emerald, Angel Island will fall! We would be safe if we were over deep water, but over dry land the island would shatter into pieces and everyone on it would die! Not only that we should be over Freedom City by now, the city and all its inhabitants will be crushed!”

“Amy this has gone on long enough,” said Sally. “As leader of the Freedom Fighters I order you to stand down!”

“We answer to a higher power now,” said Lucian. “Lord Specter has foreseen that we would claim the emerald, and no one will die today.”

“So, you’re not even trying to hide it anymore,” sighed Sonic. “Amy, Geoffrey, Hershey, Fiona, Lucian; you have to believe me Ixis is not the benevolent god you think he is. He’ll wipe out everything until only he is left.”

“Lies from the usurpers,” said Geoffrey. “But as the Titan’s chosen champion I suppose you turning against them was unlikely.”

“Stop this nonsense!” yelled Lara-le. “I can tell two of you are expecting, don’t put your children in harm’s way!”

“We’re wasting time,” Fiona moaned as she glared at Sonic and the others with violet eyes. “Hand over the emerald now.”

“Please,” said Hershey. “Even now your friends and ours are fighting, but hand it over and the fighting will end, ALL fighting will end forever.”

Sonic clenched his fist. “I’m sorry Amy, I can tell neither of us want to fight but we both can’t back down. This is going to hurt but there is one last thing I can think of right now to get you to stop before you do something you’re gonna regret for the rest of your life. If but if doesn’t work, then this will truly be the Freedom Fighter’s Darkest Day.”

Chapter 19: Falling Angel

Summary:

The Order of Ixis commences its attack on Angel Island, Sonic makes one last attempt to reach Amy, an unexpected enemy appears, heartbreak, revelations, betrayals and one of the biggest questions answered.

Chapter Text

Sally activated her ring blades as she and Sonic stood with Knuckles, Chip and Whip between the Five Elite and the Master Emerald, Athair stood between Knuckles’ family and the brewing conflict. “Last warning: stand down now. I don’t want to hurt you, but I can’t let you cause Angel Island to fall from the sky!”

“Don’t do it Amy!” said Chip. “You’re a good person, you don’t want to hurt anybody!”

Amy seemed to hesitate for a moment. “Everything will turn out alright, you just have to believe me.”

Sally huffed. “How can we believe you when you’re working with the likes of Naugus and Regina Ferrum?!”

Amy gave a small growl but quickly dialed it back. “They might have come over and are still allying with Specter out of greed and a desire for power, but when the Great Illumination comes…”

“Now you’re trying to use ends to justify your means?!” said Knuckles. “That’s a flimsy excuse for attacking your friends! You said it yourself, the fighting’s already started by now.”

Hershey made a ball of fire in her hands. “Not quite. Look into the flame and you’ll see that whatever walk of life the members of our society came from they see that this is only way to stop the endless conflict that has plagued creation due to the Titans’ faulty vision.”

Images appeared in the flame showing Sonic and the others different parts of the island.


Over in Ice Cap Zone Rotor sighed as he looked around the frozen mountains surrounding him. “No offense but I wish Sealia could have been come on this mission. The last few days have been rough, and I’d really like to have what little one on one time we could get away with.”

Guntiver shrugged. “Sorry but we got word that Robotnick is going to be sending in some new aquatic bots to attack Iceborough, she and Flip are the best shot we have at keeping them away.”

Now it was Erma’s time to sigh. “So, did you and Sealia make a decision yet on who’s going to be transferring? I mean it must be hard enough to for you two be apart for as much as you are, for a marriage it’s going to be harder not to mention once you start having kids. Sealia’s my best friend, I only want what makes the two of you happy.”

Rotor looked to his feet. “You guys have been her family for so long, just like Sonic, Sally and the others have been mine. You said yourself Flip can handle the aquatic stuff, but Tails can also cover for me in the tech department. Iceborough does feel like home to me, but so does Freedom City, maybe once this is over, we can find time to settle the question once and for all.”

“Well whatever you two chose you both have our full support,” said Augustus.

“Good for you guys,” Ray shivered. “I just hope once we get Fiona back, Mighty and I can find a way to stay…”

Erma rushed over to the flying squirrel. “LOOK OUT!”

She shoved Ray away just before a pair of bullets hit where he was standing. The team looked up to the ridge the shots came from and saw Nack, Bean, Bark and Nic. All four were now wearing outfits like the Elite but in pure black. Nic and Nack were sighting gun barrels.

“Dang!” Nack yelled. “Missed!”

“Don’t worry about it,” said Bean as he materialized a bomb out of nowhere. “Our new magic gives us endless ammo to play with!”

The artic team took fighting stances. “Shouldn’t you guys be in jail?” asked Rotor.

“Fiona was kind enough to visit me a few days back,” said Nicolette. “She told me the good news of Ixis and after forming an unofficial club with other prisoners Lord Specter let us out early for good behavior.”

“Somehow I don’t think a judge is going to see it that way!” said Ray.

“I won’t miss this time,” said Nack.

“Remember the Heralds’ orders,” Nic chided. “Only hurt them as a last resort, the Black Emerald’s our goal.”

Nack then got strangely calm. “You’re right sis, the way we reconnected will soon spread through the world.” He then turned to the polar bear next to him. “Bark, trip them up.”

Bark slammed the ground with his fists causing a small tremor. Despite the shaking Augustus kept his balance and began grappling with his fellow Polar Bear. “Why don’t you come with me and we’ll talk it one ice bear to another? It’ll turn out better for you.”

“Sorry,” said Bean as threw his bomb causing the two to disengage to avoid the blast. “But Bark’s not the talking type.”


Over at Mushroom Hill Rob O’ the Hedge was watching the fungal forest with Antione, Robin, Lop and Saffron. “I never thought my cousin would ever pose a danger to Mercia, even though we haven’t seen each other much the Amy I knew would die before turning against the Freedom Fighters.”

“Worry not my liege,” said Bow Sparrow. “We’ll get her back safe and sound.”

Saffron flew over. “If Amy’s your cousin then she would have been in line for throne at one time, right?”

Rob chuckled. “It was part of the reason we allowed her to leave, in case anything happened to me, but like her mother she never shown any interest in ruling.”

“Sounds like there’s a story there,” said Lop the Thorn.

“My dear Aunt Elanor, father’s little sister, her interest in being a princess stopped at going to balls and having a handsome knight sweep her off her feet. Well her dream did come true when she married Sir Reginald Rose. He was actually a boyhood friend of your father Antione.”

The Coyote turned. “I actually cannot zee my father as ever having been a boy.”

“Armand and Reginald both squired under Sir Blackthorn, said to be greatest knight in all of Mercian history, both fierce rivals and fast friends. Reginald actually saved Armand’s life one time,” Rob looked down despondent. “To think Robotnick forced your father to repay Sir Rose’s kindness with murder.”

Antione sighed. “My father was… strict with me, called me a coward for wanting to be chef more zhen a knight and I believed it for so long. We reconciled and zhen, my evil counterpart from Moebius murdered him. Since he no longer can on his behalf, I apologize for zhe suffering my father has brought on your family.”

Rob shook his head. “There is nothing to forgive, in fact I think you’d do your family proud if you would accept a Mercian Knighthood, you’ve more than earned it.”

Antoine sighed. “I could never do zhat to zhe princess, she…”

Suddenly Lop pointed a spear past the Rob and Antione towards some bushes. “Halt, who goes there?!”

Two young foxes, male and female, in Ixis garb came out from behind one of the giant shrooms nearby. Each drew out a sword. “We have no quarrel with you my king,” the said the male. “If you have the black gemstone had it to us and we’ll be on our way.”

Rob readied his bow and arrow. “Errol and Morain Blackthorn, you fought beside me against the Sheriff and Mordred Hood many a time.”

“Which is why you had best turn over the gem,” said Morain. “We do not wish to raise our swords against our king, but we must have the stone to ensure eternal peace for the realm.”

“Blackthorn?” asked Saffron. “Isn’t that the same name as the knight who trained Amy and Antione’s dads?”

“They are his grandchildren,” said Bow Sparrow as he drew from his quiver. “And quite easily the best swordsmen alive in Mercia.”

“Actually, once Lady Rose shown us the truth Lord Specter expanded our repertoire,” Errol said as his sword was covered in ice.

“We ask again your majesty,” Morain’s blade ignited in fire. “Stand aside so we may save the Kingdom.”

Antoine drew his own sword and Saffron pulled out one of her doll shaped grenades from her jacket.

“In that case,” the two foxes charged with their enchanted swords. “HAVE AT THEE!”


As the winds howled through Sky Canyon Matilda came over to Bunnie as she was keeping watch. “So, how’s The Baron been lately? It’s been awhile since I last talked to him.”

Bunnie smiled. “Uncle Beau and Aunt Lulu have been doin’ fine, they’ve both settled into livin’ in Freedom City and the council and hospital keep ‘em plenty busy.” Bunnie then looked away. “So busy they asked me to do something I’m not sure I’m ready for.”

“What do you mean?”

“They were finally able to get a hold of Ma and Pa’s will. My parents left me Rabbot Manor, the family’s ancestral home, my birthplace. It survived all these years after so much war, but I haven’t been there since I was knee high to a Chao, can’t remember the place at all. Uncle Beau wants me to check it out, see what repairs need to be made and see if I can’t find someone to fix it up.”

“And you don’t want to go?”

“I can’t leave when Sally Girl needs me the most. Besides, I already made my peace with who my parents were, I don’t need to see where they plotted to stab the Kingdom of Acorn in the back.”

“At least you admitted to yourself that your parents weren’t saints, my brother only got past that hurdle recently.”

“If I had done it when I was a kid, I wouldn’t have run away and gotten myself half roboticized.”

“And probably would been fully roboticized along with your aunt and uncle. Now don’t tell Mighty but when I was little I thought there was some mistake, that Mom and Dad would come and get me from that orphanage, it was only when the Swatbots took me away that I realized they were never coming.”

“So that’s that, Uncle Beau can get someone else to look at the place.”

“Don’t be so hasty, I mean from what the Baron told me it’s not just a house. He and your father grew up there so did their father and his father and a whole lot of brothers and sisters. It was where The Baron and your parents got married, it’s where your family cemetery is, that house holds a lot of family history, don’t you want to know about it?”

“Uncle Beau did say that our family’s history goes back to the beginning of the Southern Baronies. Maybe I can get Sally to give me some time off, I’ll have to talk about it with ‘Twan…”

“Hey stop gabbin’ over there!” Walt yelled. “Stu says we got company coming and not the friendly kind!”

The two girls ran over to the Downunda Freedom Fighters as Breezie came up with a tall looking dog, both in Ixis garb.

“Sleuth Dawg,” Bunnie growled. “Is it Mogul and Breezie who’s writing your checks now, or is Specter paying you himself?”

“Actually I was comfortably retried until I had to blow all my savings to get a hiding place after my brain box shutdown when Eggman bit it and they were arresting guys like me left and right,” said Sleuth. “Then out of nowhere Geoffrey St. John with was willing to pay me just to listen to a lecture. It was there I was shown the full power of Ixis.”

 “I came in to become richer myself,” said Breezie. “But now everything pales in comparison to his might. You can know it too, just give us the Black Emerald.”

“Not happening you crazy Shelia,” said Wombat Stu. “You both clearly gone round the twist.”

“And you’re going to regret saying that,” Sleuth then thrust his arm out as a stream of fire came from his hand.

Matilda leapt in front of Stu having her shell take the brunt of the flames.

“You ok?” asked Barby.

“A bit toasty but like all Armadillos my shell’s pretty resilient.”

“Then let’s try something different,” Breezie sent a strong gust that sent Matilda and Stu flying just far enough to start to fall as they came to the edge of a cliff. Just as they went over though Stu grabbed both Matilda and a small tree hidden just under an overhang.

“Noticed this when I scouted the area earlier, just some of the tricks I learned with my stint in the intelligence service.”

As they climbed up Matilda felt strangely warm as she noticed Stu was blushing. Her brother’s words earlier about finding someone she would obsess with rang in her head for a second before the shook them out. After they came up Matilda warmed up her Pile drivers, Bunnie charged her arms, and Barby’s barbs extended.

Sleuth smirked at the group. “Well this looks like it’s going to be fun.”


Down in Hydrocity Zone Big was quietly fishing when Echo popped her head out of the water. “I’ve checked for foes in the sunken areas, there aren’t any fish down here.”

Big put a finger to his lips. “Shhhh, the bad guys don’t know that.”

“Why would…never mind. Let’s just keep focused on our task.”

Vector was looking at a picture of two female cats, one brown and one yellow, smiling into the camera. He then showed it to Razor with a sigh. “The one on the right is my girlfriend Honey, the other one is her best friend Tiara. Honey and I were supposed to join Tiara for a double date before this happened, she was so crushed that I had to cancel. I have to make it up to her somehow.”

“I actually understand that,” Razor took out a photo of two Meropian girls, one an orange betta in a green dress and a grey manta ray child in an orange dress. “That’s Coral and the little one’s Pearly, I was actually a pirate and a thug until Coral set me on the straight and narrow. I promised them I’d come back safe and sound a promise I intend to keep.”

Marine came up from around a corner. “Sorry I was so long mates; you wouldn’t believe how long it takes you find a proper place to use the dunny down here.”

Echo leapt out of the water. “Password.”

“Aw come on Echo,” said Bivalve. “That password’s kind of silly and I’m having a hard time remembering it.”

“It’s alright,” said Marine. “I remember. In depths of the great big blue, honor and justice will pull through. Truth and valor the currents adore and will guide our path forevermore.”

“That’s it,” said Vector. “Now that’s out of the way…”

Echo suddenly thrust her spear at Marine who just barely dodged. “Crikey have you lost your marbles?!”

“What are you doing Echo?!” said Razor. “She got that whole poem exactly right.”

Just then another Marine came around the same corner. “I had to go all the way up to the surface to…” the new marine stared at the first in shock.

“That’s a neat trick Marine,” said Big. “How’d you do it?”

“She didn’t,” said Echo. “I knew none of you could remember that password and give it without missing a beat, I gave it to you for a particular guy who might have been listening in. Rumor had it a surface dweller had found his way to Meropis and had been seen with an extremely dangerous criminal, my boss Captain Striker ordered me to join you in order to catch him. Isn’t that right Mimic?”

The first Marine closed her eyes as she chuckled. “Who’d have thought that shrimp would send you all the way here just for me…”

She opened her eyes which were now white with black sclera before changing into a male grey Merpoian octopus. “I’m actually quite flattered!”

“Everyone, keep your eyes on him!” Echo yelled. “He can take on the appearance of anybody and he’ll use that to try to get us to attack each other!”

“Ye might find that a wee bit difficult,” came a voice from a nearby archway. “Considering ye will soon have yer hands full.”

Suddenly Five Mobians, three of them Meropian, jumped down the archway. A yeti crab, a yellow jellyfish, a red shark girl, a purple lemming and a light blue otter with an eye patch were now pointing swords at the Freedom Fighters.

Razor growled. “Dive the Lemming, Opal the Jellyfish, Mr. Bristles, Captain Shellbreaker and my big sister Blade. They’re from the Setting Dawn, my old pirate crew.”

“Never thought to see you on a flying island little brother,” said the Blade. “But had over the gem and your little mutiny will be forgiven.”

Crusher growled as Razor drew a sword of his own. “Sorry Blade, but the pirate’s life just ain’t for me anymore.”

Echo moved her spear to point at the otter. “You really sunk to new low Shellbreaker to let Mimic onto your crew.

“Well after Razor abandoned ship and Abyss the Squid took most of me crew to join the Dark Egg Legion, we be a bit shorthanded. But this Tenrec fellow signed us up with the Order o’ Ixis so we sail for a higher cause now. So, give us yer booty and none o’ ye will walk the plank.”

Marine took a fighting stance. “Please, Blaze and I beat up so many pirates we lost count.”

Vector picked up Bivalve and readied to throw him. “How about you surrender first and maybe you’ll just go to jail without any bruises?”

“Orders captain?” asked the yeti crab.

Shell breaker smirked. “We’ll give them a good thrashing Mr. Bristles, then we take their treasure!”

“AYE AYE!” the pirates sounded back.


Over in Sandopolis Cream, Gold, Mighty and the Desert Raiders were setting up camp when they saw three hooded figures approach them. “You stop right there Ixis creeps!” shouted Spike. “You better turn yourselves in now if you know what’s good for you!”

The figure in the lead reached for their hood. “Is that any way to speak to…” the hood came down exposing a white feathered vulture with a gold mask legionized to her face. “…your mother?”

Sonar gasped. “Nephthys!? Why are you with the Order of Ixis!? I thought once you got free from Eggman you were done with fighting!”

“It’s to keep you safe my children, once we have the Black Emerald an eternal peace will come to the world and then you’ll be safe from harm forever.”

“Eternal peace?” asked Cream.

“No one will want to hurt each other anymore. I can tell you are a gentle soul, just give us what we need, and all the fighting will stop. Isn’t that what you really want, for no one to be hurt?”

“Don’t buy it Cream!” said Mighty. “She’s just trying to get into our heads!”

“That’s not true,” Derrick Fox said as he pulled his hood down. “Once the final essence in the hands of Lord Specter the Great Illumination will begin then greed and hatred will vanish from the hearts of the children of Ixis.”

Natalia pulled her hood down. “Fiona told us everything, there is nothik to be afraid of. Our malyshka (baby girl) misses you so much Mighty and we know you miss her. What say we stop this nonsense and then we can take you our daughter?”

“Everyone, stay focused!” Gold said through telepathy. “If you’re going to save them the best way is to force them to see Specter’s lies for what they are!”

Cream lightly clenched her fists. “I don’t want to anyone to get hurt, but what Specter is doing is hurting the creatures he’s kidnapped! A peace that is brought through the suffering of others is no peace at all! That’s why I’ll never forgive him for what he’s done!” Cheese nodded in agreement.

Spike stepped closer to the former Egg Boss. “You raised us, we can never possibly repay you, but we’re not little kids anymore at some point we have to leave the nest.”

“We gave up on hope too easily before,” said Sonar. “Well not anymore, it’s time we lived up to name Freedom Fighter.”

“I’m blind but even I can see that Specter getting that emerald would be a disaster,” said Treavor.

“I will see Fiona again,” said Mighty. “Once I snap her out of whatever spell you’re all under, even if I have to beat it out of you!”

Nephthys gave a stern look. “Children this naughty need to be disciplined.”


High up in Sky Sanctuary Tails, Charmy and the Babylon Rouges found themselves face to face with several birds in Ixis garb, including a familiar green one.

“It’s been awhile hasn’t it Tails?” said Speedy. “You’re certainly taller than the last time we met.”

“And you got rid of that stupid egg harness, but the warden isn’t going to be happy you’re out of your cage.”

“Think of this as a field trip for those prisoners who seen the light. I am a changed bird, once Bean talked me into listening to truth of Ixis I see that species doesn’t matter, the armada may be gone but we’re all children of Ixis. You saved my life once Tails so I’m going to return the favor by doing my part to begin the Great Illumination, I just need the Black Emerald to do it.”

“No dice you little twirp,” said Jet. “Not only are you not getting the emerald but we’re going to make you squawk everything you know about where your Ixis buddies hid everything they stole from the Babylonians!”

“Some gratitude to the people who gave you your wings.”

“Angelus gave us our wings!” yelled Corva. “The Order lied to you and they stole Angelus, you all have to wake up!”

“We’re wide awake, but if you think you can beat this flock then you’re the ones who are dreaming.”

Charmy moved his stinger into a thrusting position. “In that case, bring it on!”


Over at Lava Reef Blaze, Liza and the Dragon Kingdom fighters were approached by an elderly lion and a little Vixen. Ken Khan drew his staff. “Li Yuen, Li Moon? Specter got his claws into you guys?!”

“Listen to me,” said Dulcy. “Whatever Specter has planned it will be disastrous for the Free People.”

“I wasn’t sure myself Empress,” said Li Yuen. “But once Li Moon explained it to me everything became clear, whether it was under the rule of the Dragons or the Four Clans conflict has been the one constant of our land. The Free People will only be safe once conflict has been rooted out of the Mobian heart itself.”

“Why Li Moon?” Cinder said teary eyed. “We were friends!”

“And we still are,” said Li Moon. “But the nice kitty says everyone will be friends once we have the Black Emerald. You just have to give the Black Emerald to us, then everything will be better.”

“This is your last warning,” said Blaze. “Surrender before you do something you’re going to regret, then tell me where the Order is keeping Iblis.”

“I see we are at an impasse,” said Li Yuen. “Combat it is then.” The two then took martial arts stances.

Liza pulled out a shuriken. “Since I became a member of the Shinobi clan, I took an oath to fulfill the Clan’s responsibilities. Then when the Empress took the throne one of those responsibilities became to protect the Free People from all threats. Right now, the Order of Ixis are making the Free People a threat to themselves. I will try not to do you permanent harm, but I will bring you back on the true path.”


Over in Marble Garden Espio and Silver stood back as the Malada Freedom Fighters were in utter shock at the four girls who just appeared. A yellow vixen, an aqua colored beetle with a shiny white shell and two purple bandicoots who seemed to be identical twins.

“Jewel?” Tangle asked the Beetle. “What are you doing here?”

Jewel smiled. “I heard that a rare black gem was on this island and since I’m a minerals expert our new friends asked if we could come from Malada to find it for them.”

“You’re a member of the Order of Ixis?” said Whisper. “You too Zooey? But you were always so gentle and sweet.”

“And that’s why we want to find the emerald,” said the Vixen. “So everywhere can be as peaceful as our island home.”

“No, it’s a trick!” yelled Sticks. “It’s got to be illusions or pod people or something!”

“Get you head out of the clouds Sticks!” said one of the Bandicoots. “Are you like, giving us the gem or not?!”

“Take it easy on them Staci,” said the other twin. “Remember what Lucian said about them just not getting the Great Illumination yet?”

Staci smiled at her twin. “Thanks, Perci. You’re always there to keep me from hurting people’s feelings.”

Perci smiled back. “And you always help me keep my cool Staci.”

“This is nuts!” said Tangle. “We’re all friends here, we grew up together, now were supposed to fight?!”

“Tangle, stay focused,” said Espio. “Remember our mission. We need to find where the Ixis hideout is, to do that we’ll have to bring your friends back to their senses.”

The lemur nodded to the ninja. “Thanks,” she then turned to wizards. “Sorry guys but it’s time for some tough love!”

Silver began to glow. “Let’s hurry this up so I can save my future!”


As the images played Amy turned back to Sonic, Sally and Knuckles. “You can end this now, just let us have the Master Emerald. Trust me.”

Sally “How can we trust you when you’re not only working with known villains but taking people with no combat experience and pitting them against veterans?!”

Amy clenched her fist but then eased it. “They actually have a much better chance than you realize.” Amy turned to Hershey. “Show them.”

The image in the flame then shifted to a large concert stage set up in the middle of a park in Echidnaopolis.


Nicole, Shard and Julie-su stood among several Echidna and Dingo before the stage. Lien-da stood near the edge with several security team members spaced around them. “Crowd seems clear,” Julie said as her quill metallic and pointing upward in “Antenna mode”.

“Parameter’s secure,” said Lien-da over the radio. “Any wizards come this why they’ll get an electowhip lash for their trouble.”

“Not even going to try to enjoy the city’s first rock concert, are you?”

“You really should,” Nicole said to the receiver.

“I’m good. Not that I mean I really am one of the good guys now, which I assure you I am, but I meant I’m not interested.”

“Still give it a try, Mina’s singing has a way of talking to people’s hearts.”

Shard crossed his arms. “Yeah, and that way of speaking with people turned the people of New Mobotropolis against you.”

Nicole shook her head at the former robot. “She apologized to me for her unwitting part in Naugus’ plot long ago, I mean what I did as Iron Nicole terrified her, but it is water under the bridge now. Actually, I was able got us into this concert was because I’m making good on a free ticket voucher she gave me as an apology. Despite what happened to me I’ve always loved her music.”

Shard smiled back. “Ok, forgive and forget.”

Julie tapped her antenna quill again. “Shade, what’s your position?”

“Argo and I are a short distance from backstage,” the former procurator said. “All other patrols have checked in with no activity so far.”

“Copy that check in again in fifteen minutes.” After Julie finished her quill dropped to its usual place before taking an organic look.

Up on-stage Mina Mongoose came up to microphone as the audience cheered. “Hello Echidnaopolis! Welcome back to Mobius and thank you for having us come to play for you!”

More cheers from the crowd.

“Now before we begin, I’d like to introduce myself and the rest of the Forget Me Knots. I’m Mina the lead singer but you probably already heard of me so let’s move on. On guitar we have Max!”

A red monkey came out and waved to the crowd before plugging his guitar into a speaker.

“On bass is Sharps!”

A chicken wearing shades waved as he set his guitar up.

“Next is our drummer Mach!

Pink rabbit pointed his drumsticks at the cheering crowd before taking his seat at the drum set.

“And finally, he’s been with our band for a while but has only joined us on stage recently. Ash on Keytar!”

The mongoose took a bow as he plugged his instrument in.

“We’re so glad you gave us such a warm welcome and as a surprise for our opening number we’re going to play our newest single for the first time publicly anywhere!”

The entire crowd erupted in cheers.

“The promotional material never said anything about a new song,” said Nicole. “They’re really pulling out all the stops.

Mach began to bang his sticks together. “One, two, one, two, three, four!”

The band began to paly deep rhythmic melody, the audience felt something deeply primal about as people began dancing in the crowd. Mina then took the mic.

I’m changing over

Into another

face to confuse you


I’m gonna trick you

Tease and taunt you

You might understand real soon

Back in the chamber the song came not only from the flame but the communication devices they had on them. Sonic suddenly felt his emotions shifting wildly never settling in one place for more than a second, the only constant was a pervasive sense of vertigo as he couldn’t keep his feet steady. Looking around everyone who wasn’t an Ixis Wizard seemed to be suffering the same effect.

Confusion, confusion, confusion, confusion

Confusion, confusion, confusion, confusion

Confusion!

The image in Hershey’s flame shifted to show the Freedom Fighters and their allies also becoming disoriented. Amy and Lucian approached the Master Emerald and held their hands before it, streams of blue energy came from it and into them.

My world is full of

Chaos and clutter

Your own thoughts will deceive you

Soon the beam stopped as Lucian turned to the other three.

“We tapped into the essence, all that is left is to bring it back to the temple so we can use the Chaos Emeralds to further empower it.”

Fiona and Geoffrey approached them as the flame turned back to the concert.


My mind is crazy

Messed up and hazy

You’ll never know what I’ll do

Backstage Shade knelt to the ground. She turned to Argo, an orange Echidna with a skull bandana and an eye patch, then pointed at the generator set up to power the lighting and instruments.

Argo nodded back as their armor made their helmets appear over their heads. The right forearm of Argo’s armor became a blaster just before he aimed it at the generator.

Confusion, confusion, confusion, confusion…

Argo fired and the energy bolt began to short-out the generator.

“Confusion, confuse… what?!” Mina looked around as most of the band was effectively silenced.

“What happened to my ax?!” asked Max the Monkey.

Shade and Argo came on stage. “Sorry but we had to pull the plug on this show. With what was happening I hate to break it you all, but your star is a member of the Order of Ixis.”

“She was messing us up again?!” yelled Shard.

Nicole looked up to Mina on stage. “But Mammoth Mogul manipulated Mina with mind control against Sonic, Naugus used her to manipulate the City, why would she be an Ixis Witch?”

Mina sighed. “It was supposed to just disorient you long enough for us to retrieve the Essence of Water, Amy said this way no one would have been seriously hurt.” With a gesture Mina’s clothes were replaced by black Ixis garb.”

“No, Mina…”

Ash and the rest of the Forget Me Knots then laid their instruments aside. “But you had to go and make things difficult.” With a gesture the Forget Me Knots all donned Ixis garb.

“It was the whole band?!” said Argo.

Just then Julie got a message from her radio. “The city is under attack! We have multiple Mobian and Overlander hostiles!”

Julie-su pulled out her gun as she and Shard leapt up on stage. “Turn yourselves in now, before you get yourselves hurt.”

The Forget Me Knots conjured mystical looking versions of their instruments into their hands. “Sorry,” Mina said as she brought the microphone to her mouth. “But our next number is going to be the funeral dirge for war and suffering in this world!”


When the music stopped in the Hidden Palace’s emerald chamber Knuckles swung at the approaching wizards as Lucian and Geoffrey each took a blow to the chin.

“Looks like your little plan to zonk everyone out while you took the Master Emerald failed,” said the Guardian. “Angel Island won’t fall on Freedom City or anywhere else now!”

With a stern look Amy made a few gestures and soon a fiery biter, a stone nightmare, a bird headed cyclone and a creature that looked like cross between a brainless Chaos Zero and a shark stood before between her and the Freedom Fighters. “I also made elementals like these appear to aid those who follow the will of Ixis. The water elementals are not as strong since the Essence of Water has not been linked with Chaos Emeralds but under our control all these creatures will simply reform when destroyed. The Freedom Fighters can’t win against a foe that will never tire and simply reform over and over. I don’t want to use them to hurt you all but unless you give us the Emerald I will!”

Whip but her hands on her hips. “You have a lot of gall cell, using such pale imitations of my power. Return my essence to me and I might be merciful and let you live out the remainder of your life!”

“I’ll do it!” yelled Amy. “Don’t force my hand!”

Suddenly Sonic laughed. “Force your hand!? Alright faker where did you hide the REAL Amy?!”

“I’m standing right in front of you! No tricks, no illusions!”

“Could have fooled me. The Amy Rose I know wouldn’t make threats or hold herself back, she’d just clobber whoever was making her mad with her hammer!”

“Sonic what are you doing?!” asked Sally. “Getting her angry is not going to be helpful!”

“Just the opposite Sal, it’s what’s going to get her back to us! Call it a hunch but I think there’s been something she’s been keeping to herself for a while, something she didn’t want to admit because she thinks we’d treat her like a kid again or something if she actually complained about it.”

“Don’t listen to him!” yelled Lucian. “He’s trying to deter us from our destiny!”

“Come on Amy, what’s eating you? Is it that I picked Sally over you? Is it that you feel like you wasted years pining after me? Or is it that no matter how much you act grown up no one’s is going to see you as anything more than a crazed pink fangirl?”

Chip flew next to Sonic’s head. “I think you might be taking it a little too far.”

Amy kept growling, the elementals following her lead. Suddenly with a motion about a dozen Piko Piko hammers appeared in the air and dropped almost whacking the Freedom Fighters before disappearing.

“YOU NEVER ACCEPTED ME!”

For a moment, the chamber was silent except for Amy’s sobs.

“None of you did. You made me a Freedom Fighter, but it never felt like you thought of me as one of you. When Sonic was locked up after that plan to get him roboticized but keep his will backfired I was the only one who thought that when he got back to normal that we could trust him again, but even after that it wasn’t enough. When Sonic and Sally made up and started going out again, I stood aside and let you be together, so you’d be happy, that wasn’t enough either. When he took me out on a date while we were trying to get Sally back it was fun but I could tell he really wanted you, he also wanted Antoine, Rotor, Nicole and Bunnie to be ok again, but unlike Tails it didn’t feel like I was a part of his worries. It was like no matter how hard I fought or how helpful I could be I just didn’t belong.”

Sally turned off her Ring Blades. “Of course, you belonged Amy. Everyone in Knothole knew that you were someone they could count on.”

“I’m not talking about being depended on! You, Sonic, Tails, Bunnie, Nicole, Rotor, Antione; you were all so close to each other and it seemed so wonderful I wanted a part of that, but while I was an ally and a friend I just didn’t fit into what you had. And it wasn’t just me, Dulcy, Mina, Tommy, Fiona, Big, Cream, we could be part of the team but we weren’t part of your inner circle of friends and no matter how close I let myself be to all of you I never could be!”

Sonic started to get closer. “Amy…” The growls of the elementals stopped him in his tracks. “Amy, we, the seven of us had been through a lot together, for some even before Robotnick’s coup. All the battles the celebrations, the hardships, the setbacks, they brought us even closer together, so close I guess we never realized it could seem like we shut out the rest of the world. It was like when I dated Fiona to get Tails over her, I didn’t think, I just did.”

Knuckles looked at Amy sternly. “So, you weren’t a part of the in crowd and THAT’S why you joined the Order of Ixis?!”

“No,” said Amy. “It was because I didn’t feel like I really belonged that I never told you the reason why I did. Yes, we lied about the light in the forest, Specter found us as Mobini, changed us back then told us about the ritual to get your minds back so you could fix everything. But as we performed the ritual, we learned a truth that changed everything. I wanted to tell you all so badly, but the way you rejected our story so easily I knew that you wouldn’t even listen to this truth, but I also knew that if we were Tails or Bunnie or any of the rest you would at least hear us out. But that’s something I can never convince you to do and it breaks my heart.”

Amy continued sobbing as Lucian embraced her.

Sally came as close as the Elementals allowed. “Ok, tell us.”

“No!” yelled Athair. “For all you know she could be trying to put you under a spell! Ixis cannot be trusted!”

Sally shook her head. “But I’m not trusting Ixis, I’m trusting Amy. I once heard the first step to changing someone’s mind is being willing to have your own mind changed. So, I’ll give you one chance, tell us this truth and we’ll determine for ourselves if any of what you’ve done is justified based on that. I’m not saying you’ll succeed, with everything that’s happened the bar is astronomically high, but you’re enough of a friend that I’ll give you that chance, even if I never made you feel like you were.”

“Same goes for me Amy,” said Sonic. “Go ahead and give it your best shot.”

Knuckles grumbled. “My gut’s telling me this is crazy, but if I gave Espio a chance after we found out he spying on us for the Bride of Eternal Vigil than I’ll let Sally and Sonic give you the same chance.”

Athair growled. “If you feel like you must do this go ahead, but I’m taking precautions in case this is a trap to keep Lara-le, Wynmacher and Knecapeon safe.

The former guardian formed a soundproof bubble out of chaos energy. Amy wiped the tears from her eyes. “Thank you, thank you for listening.”

Fiona growled as she looked on with violet eyes. “This is not good,” Agunus thought to himself. “Once Sonic and Knuckles hear what she has to say they’ll serve Specter and the chances of our taking over the Order will be practically zero! I’m not sure I can wrest control of the earth elemental away to shut her up, but even if I can it would be three on one and I’ll be exposed! There’s nothing I can do!”

Amy took a deep breath. “Ok the truth is that…Ohh!” Amy recovered from her gasp and tried to speak again. “The truth is…UGH!”

“AMY!”

As the Freedom Fighters started to get close the elementals blocked their path but stayed close to the pink Hedgehog.

“Amy are you all right?!” Lucian said as his voice tinged with worry.

Amy looked back at him, the joy that chased away sorrow turned to anxiety. “I think I just had a contraction.”

Sally gasped. “She’s having her baby now?!”

“OHHHH!” Hershey’s flame disappeared as she began clutching her stomach.

“Hershey!” Geoffrey shouted as he cradled his wife. “Looks like Amy isn’t the only one! Fiona!”

Inwardly Agunus sighed. “Lucky break for me but I don’t want to deal with this labor stuff, better let The Shale handle it!”

Fiona closed her eyes as if she had a sudden headache, she opened them again and they appeared blue. “Wait, what?”

“OHHH!” Amy was now bent over and gasping for breath. “Now I’m sure it’s a contraction, my water just broke!”

Fiona came close and looked around. “Of all rotten timing for a blackout! Ok just lie down for now, can someone get me a light I need to see if she is dilating?!”

Athair removed the bubble as Lara passed Kneecaps to her husband. “Let me help! I laid two eggs; I know it’s not exactly the same but I can still…”

The Iblis biter roared in Lara’s face. Knuckles punched it apart only for the flames to reform. “Amy call these things off! Otherwise we can’t help you!”

“Do it!” Hershey gritted through another contraction. “Mission or not these babies are coming!”

Amy lifted her hand only to find someone had grabbed it after hearing someone teleport into the room. She looked up and found an unexpected face looking back. “Lord Specter?”

The archmage moved his free hand behind him and opened it. “Zone Gate.” A portal appeared behind him. “Take them back to the Temple of Ixis, I will handle things from here.”

“But the elementals that are already here, the other wizards…OHHH!”

“Concentrate on giving birth, the elementals and my followers will be taken care of.”

“Yes, my Lord,” said Fiona. “Come on, it’s not that far of a walk.”

As Lucian and Hershey propped up with wives Sonic growled at Specter. “So, you finally decided to show your face Masquerade, sort of.”

“We were willing to hear Amy out,” said Sally. “You on the other hand we don’t trust at all.”

“The Grand Design had deemed you were not ready for that knowledge, not yet.” The portal closed behind him after the Elite stepped through. “Now to business. Elementals, I command you now.”

The Elementals roared.

“Those not within this place, attack the mortals amongst you, ALL of them.”

“You’re sicing them on your own followers?!” gasped Lara-le. “What kind of man are you?!”

“The power and threat the elementals pose needed to be made clear to the world at large. But these four have a different purpose.” He turned to the elementals. “Retrieve the Master Emerald.”

The four charged to the gem Athair joined the fray as each was cut down the composing element simply reformed after Sonic and the others passed. The Elementals then lifted the Master Emerald off the dais and began to carry it to Specter.

Whip flew straight at the villain. “Give me back my essence!”

“Better yet come and get it.” Specter took Gaia’s ring from his robes, the orb on it pulsed darkly as a black energy shot from it to Whip and Chip.

“Sonic!” yelled Chip. “Help!”

Soon the two sprites were pulled into the ring. Specter looked at it with a pride visible through his mask.

“Yes, soon the Elemental War will begin and what a way for it start! An island falling from the sky threatening to shatter itself on the city below!”

“You monster!” Lara yelled. “How can you be so callous about all those innocent lives!?!”

“Your moralizing…” Specter raised his hand. “…annoys me.” A dart of black energy shot from his palm. Time seemed to slow down for Knuckles as the dart hit Lara-le squarely in the chest.

“MOTHER!!!”

“LARA!!! Wynmacher yelled.

Kneecaps started bawling as his mother fell on her back clutching her chest.

Athair rushed over to Lara, picked her up, took out a warp ring and opened it to an emergency room. “We still might be able to save her! Wynmacher bring the child, Knuckles I need you to focus and keep the Master Emerald out of his hands!”

Specter laughed and raised up his hand as Lara was helped through the warp ring. “Why don’t you call upon your goddess of life to heal you? Perhaps she can’t now she’s been reduced to a mere infant; you may want to turn to her archfoe instead. Oh wait, he’s right next to her in the exact same state! Know how feeble your so-called gods are next to Ixis and let me drink in your sweet despair!”

As the warp ring closed Knuckles growled. “Shut up, shut up, shut up…”

He ran through the air elemental in his way and punched Specter right in the face. “SHUT UP!!!”

As specter fell to the floor the elementals vanished as sound of metal clanging against stone could be heard. Suddenly Tails, Bunnie, Antione, Rotor, Nicole, Cream, Silver, Gold, Blaze and Marine fell from portals that Sonic and the others only now noticed had opened in the ceiling.

“What are we doing here?” asked Tails.

“Wait,” said Gold. “If we’re all here why isn’t Big?”

Sonic turned to the new arrivals. “I don’t know why you’re here, but you missed a lot. The black emerald got broken, Chaos is now in the Master Emerald, Chip and Whip are trapped in his ring, Amy and Hershey went into labor then Specter…”

“Wait,” Sally said as she pointed at a metal mask lying on the floor. “Specter’s mask.”

“Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh…”

Specter’s back was turned as he got back on his feet and levitated his mask back into hand. Suddenly he turned around.

“HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA!”

Specter’s face was clearly seen by everyone in the room. But it wasn’t the expression was not the sneer of a confident and smug overlord, nor was it the gentle smile of a penitent and kind teacher. It was the laughing visage of a raving lunatic.

“Charlemagne?!” shouted Sally. “It was you?! You’re Specter?!!”

Sonic clenched his fist. “I should have known! I had a bad feeling in my gut about you since day one! But you tricked me into ignoring it!”

Specter gave the Freedom Fighters a wicked smirk. “You mortals are so easy to manipulate! It doesn’t matter if you’re a vessel for my spirit like this decrepit Overlander, one of my servants or an enemy. You’re all puppets and I am the grand puppeteer pulling your stings without you even realizing! I was even able to get the princess and your hero cast your loyalty into doubt!”

“Sally Girl what’s he talkin’ about?” asked Bunnie.

Specter’s eyes had a wicked gleam. “Didn’t any of you wonder why they separated you today? I left a thread of a plan out in the open, and by following the logic the most reasonable conclusion wasn’t that I was able to work quickly with a Split Image spell, no it was far more likely that one of you was working for me. Their whole plan took the shape it did because they thought one of you was a traitor!”

“Non,” said Antoine has he and the others felt his stare pierce into their souls. “If zhat was what they thought zhey’d have just asked us outright, wouldn’t zhey?”

Sally began to shake. “T-too much was at stake, the fate of the world could have depended on it and you could have been controlled, we had to be sure…”

“No,” cried Cream. “This, this can’t be happening…”

{So this is it,} Silver said through the Mental link to Blaze, Marine and Gold. {This is the cause of the Freedom Fighter’s Darkest Day, but now it’s too late to do anything about it!}

“You think you can just manipulate people like pieces on a gameboard,” growled Knuckles. “Well your plan backfired! Your elementals are gone, and you now have to face a whole team of Freedom Fighters and a guardian whose mother you tried to kill all alone!”

“Nothing happens that I cannot foresee.” Specter returned his mask to his face. “You hit me because I wanted you to, to give the best show for when the Grand Design required my identity to be exposed. I brought them here to because of all the emotions you mortals possess the one I find most enjoyable to witness is despair. And I wanted to drink in as much of it as possible before I claim the final key to the completion of the Grand Design!”

Specter then disappeared before reappearing next to the Master Emerald.

“Oh no you don’t! Thunder Arrow!”

A bolt of lightning came from Knuckle’s fist as he punched the air. The bolt then stuck a shield that surrounded Specter. “Like I said, you only hit me because I let you.” Specter then touched the Master Emerald; it shrank down to the size of a normal chaos emerald.

Knuckles charged. “I don’t know how you figured out how to do that but you’re going to pay!”

Sonic came at him from the other side spinning. “This ends now Masquerade!”

“Zone Gate!” Specter then threw the master emerald and Chip’s ring through an open portal which closed the moment the echidna’s and hedgehog’s attacks hit him.

Specter fell to the floor as the chamber began shaking, it looked like his body was dissipating. “A good effort, but this was merely the split image copy that was living among you for weeks. You’ll find facing the REAL me won’t be nearly as simple, that is if you survive that long. Happy Landings, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA!”

The copy then vanished completely. “He’s right!” shouted Sally. “Angel Island is going to fall on top of Freedom City! Unless we do something fast, both will be destroyed!”

Blaze fell to her hands and knees. “Keep it together girl, just stay in control of your fear.”

“Control…” Sonic snapped his fingers. “I have an idea but no time to explain it, gotta run!”

Sonic ran out the doorway.

“I don’t know what he’s doing but it has to work!” said Rotor. “We have minutes until everything around us turns into the world’s biggest pile of rubble!”

“Tails, Cream, Bunnie get out of here!” said Knuckles. “You can fly so you save yourselves and whoever you can carry!”

Tails shook his head. “We don’t know where we are, we’ll never make it in time!”

“There has to be something we can do!” said Silver.

Suddenly a bright light passed over them, it remained for a few seconds then it vanished. Sally and the others felt a sensation being shifted somehow and then the shaking stopped after a slight bob in the room.

“What just ‘appened?” asked Antione.

Knuckles felt the chamber floor. “We hit water, water deep enough to keep Angel Island intact. As for that light, I think it was Chaos Control.”

“On the whole island?” asked Sally. “Sonic has used Chaos Control before but on something this big? The closest example we have is Space Colony Ark, sure it was huge, but he still had to work with Shadow while both were in their super forms to pull it off.”

“Whatever he did we’re safe for now,” Knuckles then used his warp ring to open a way to a hospital. “At the moment I’m only concerned about my Mother.”

The Freedom Fighters walked through, on the floor were several people in Ixis garb covered in blankets muttering to themselves.

“Why would the elementals attack us? Was I unworthy somehow?”

“He left us, he left us here to die…”

“Why did I ever think I could trust those guys? Seriously I can remember what I did but not why I did it. It made perfect sense to me but whatever it was is a total blank.”

“Knuckles!” Julie-su ran up to the group. “Thank Aurora you’re safe.”

“I’m happy you’re ok too, but what’s up with these Ixis Wizards?”

“Former Ixis Wizards and it’s craziest thing, first these elemental things appeared then turned on them before starting to wreck the island, then we fell from the sky only to move above an inland sea an hour away from Freedom City. Whatever it was these people were shocked out of whatever hold Specter had on them, we locked up a few but most just surrendered under mental shock. None of them can recall why they joined the Order and their magic seems to be gone. As for where the hideout is looks like the grunts weren’t told.”

Sally grabbed her head. “It was all for nothing! The plan failed. Specter has the Essence of Water and the Master Emerald; he has everything he needs for his elemental war!”

“It’s all right Sally,” said Knuckles. “We’ll just have to stop the war when it begins. But what about my mom?! Specter tried to kill her; she was brought here!”

Julie looked down sadly. “They’ve taken her into surgery, Big and Sonic were sent into intensive care.”

“Big and Sonic?!” yelled Gold. “How?!”

“The elemental attack caused the jellyfish pirate Big was fighting to accidently overdose him on her venom, Sonic just collapsed in front of Remington after, was that Chaos Control?”

“We’ll just have to get our answers once we see how they’re doing!” said Tails. “Come on take us to them!”


Moments later the Freedom Fighters were standing in front of a hospital room, inside Big was laid down on a bed Froggy keeping watch nearby. On the outside Sonic walked up to them on shaky legs.

“Just got up. Guess I overdid it, I had to grab every power ring on the island, but I managed to chaos control it somewhere safe. Still I got really winded.”

“You could have used my Sol Emeralds,” said Blaze.

“You’re still gonna need them to seal Iblis. Don’t worry I’ll be fine, docs said I’ll be ok after a good night’s sleep.”

“But what about Big?!” asked Knuckles. “And my mother?!”

“The doctors gave me an update,” said a white Echidna. While he still had yellow eyes the sclera were now white and his teeth now looked normal.

“Finitivus? What are you doing here?”

“I came as soon as I heard about your mother’s injury, they managed to stabilize her for now, but they had to give her a cybernetic replacement for her heart to survive long term.”

“What about Big?!” asked Gold. “There were things I was going to tell him, things I should have told him!”

“Your feline friend is quite resilient, his body is fighting off the venom, the doctors will watch for changes, but they expect he’ll wake up in a couple of days.”

“So, everyone’s ok?” asked Cream. “Mrs. Le needed a new heart but other than that nobody was hurt. Right?”

Finitivus sighed. “Knuckles your mother told you about her disease, right?”

“Yes, but I heard you were close to a treatment.”

“The machine the treatment uses would shut down a synthetic heart. She needs the surgery to live but we can’t perform the treatment if we go ahead with it, the treatment can’t be stopped once started and we wouldn’t be able to restart the heart in time if we do go through with it. I’d would even recommend roboticization at this point but unfortunately she’s immune.”

“So, you’re telling me even with all your big brained ideas my mother is going to die to this Long Requiem thing?!” Knuckles punched the wall. “But we were so close!”

“I’m sorry. After everything I have done, I’d understand you blaming me for not making up for my misdeeds this way.”

“I don’t,” said Knuckles his eyes red with anger. “I blame Specter, and he’s going to pay for what he’s done.”

Julie-su turned the guardian to face her. “Knuckles I know this is hard for you, but you have to keep it together. Right now, your stepfather and little brother need you, don’t worry I’ll be right there with you.”

“Thanks Julie,” Knuckles turned to the Freedom Fighters. “I…have to be with Wyn and Kneecaps. You probably have to get going so I guess this is goodbye for now.”

“Goodbye,” said Sally. “And thank you.”

Knuckles and Julie turned a corner and were out of sight.

“Sally, Sonic!” an echidna in a uniform came up to the group. “Oh, you’re all here, they need you at E.S.T. headquarters. Looks like something big happened while the battle was going on here.”

“We’ll go right away,” said Sonic. But as everyone began to move Gold stayed put. “You coming? They’ll send Big home once he’s worked the venom out.”

“I know,” said Gold her eyes seemed red with tears. “But I want to say goodbye. I’m going to use my telepathy to tell him and to tell him some things I should have told him a long time ago, private things.”

“I understand,” said Silver. “We’ll meet you back on the Sky Patrol.”

About a half hour later they had gathered back in the auditorium a display shown a map of Mobius where a considerable amount of territory was colored in red. As they came in Sally and Sonic were met with several angry stares. Sonic tried to read the room. “So…what happened?”

Ken Khan and Barby stomped over angrily. Ken snarled at Sonic. “What happened was that while we were up here playing decoy with the Order of Ixis’ brainwashed civilians and criminals, Robotnick used our absence to launch several surprise attacks on our homes!”

“Viktor really played my friends,” said Shard. “He fed Harvey and the others fake intel to hide he was really going after Mobian territories with diminished defenses.”

“Even the tidbit we got about his attack on Icebrough was false,” said Erma. “They came from the ice above, not the sea below.”

Tails looked at the map, amazed at the Ascendancy’s progress. “How did he know?”

“Does it matter?!” yelled Barby. “Our friends were forced to retreat, our homes have been taken over, our people are refugees, all so we could catch some guys who turned out never knew where the Order is headquartered!”

“Not all of them!” said Sally. “Their leaders were here, Specter himself showed up!”

“You got him, right?” asked Tangle. “That means the Order is finished, isn’t it?”

Sally sighed. “They…got away…along with the Essence of Water.”

“So, we did all of this for nothing?!” asked Wave. “We had one shot to get back Angelus and we blew it?!”

“It’s my fault, I set this whole thing up as a mole hunt, only it turned out there was no mole.”

“Hey, I resent that remark!” said Trevor.

“We all got fooled,” said Sonic. “Specter was hiding under our noses the whole time.”

“And you couldn’t sniff him out,” said Razor. “We never should have left the ocean.”

“I hate to say it but given the current situation the Desert Raiders can’t offer you any more aid,” said Spike as he, Sonar and Trevor began to leave. “Not until we can liberate our homes again.”

“I’m afraid that goes for the rest for the rest of us,” said Walt as his group began leaving. “We have to look after own before we’re in a good enough position to even think of providing aid to another division.”

Echo picked up a tank with Bivalve in it. “As part of the agreement Ray had to make, the Forty Fathom Fighters now answer directly to King Puff and Queen Angelica of Meropis,” said the clam. “They ordered us to find a place to settle the Meropian refugees and that until further notice no more working with or going to the surface. I’m sorry.”

“You don’t have a plan anymore,” said Jet. “Our little partnership is over; we’ll find our own way to locate these Ixis goons.”

“We’re really sorry guys,” said Sticks. “But we have to take our friends back to Malada Island or wherever the people of Malada are now that we lost the island.”

“I’m sorry too,” said Dulcy. “But as empress my first duty has to be to the Dragon Kingdom and its people, I may be new to this ruling thing Sally, but I know in my place you’d do the same thing.”

“We got to get back to the Northern Tundra,” said Augustus. “Hook back up with Flip and Sealia then try to figure out a way to take back Icebrough.”

“And the same goes for us,” said Rob. “The kingdom needs me now more than ever. Meri-an, Little John, I hope they’re ok.”

As the last two groups began filing out Rotor came up to them. “Wait.”

Guntiver sighed. “Rotor I know you want to change our minds…”

“Actually… I was going to ask if I could come with you.”

“Rotor!” came the cry from the Knothole Freedom Fighters.

Rotot turned back, his eye seemed to have a subtle red tint. “Listen I was thinking about it for the last month, Sealia and I being separated for weeks or months at a time is not ideal for a marriage, who knows throw a kid into the mix and its even worse. We kept trying to figure out who should move, who was considered more valuable to their team. Well imagine my shock today when I found out I was considered a potential threat!”

“Rotor, it was nothing personal,” said Sally. “Everyone had to be checked, you could have been replaced or mind controlled.”

“That doesn’t explain why you went behind our backs; you could have done the same thing with a half hour conference before we got here. But now that this happened, I’m actually kind of glad, I just realized where my priorities should be.”

“Mine az well,” said Antione, his eyes seeming to share the same subtle tint as Rotor’s. “King Robert, is zhat knighthood still available?”

“You’re leaving too?!” yelled Sonic. His eyes were slightly red too. “Just for some stupid promotion!?”

“I know I never had zhe best reputation in the group; I often came off as smug, cowardly and vain; but except for when Patch replaced me my loyalty was never in question, until today. A knight is supposed to be loyal to their ruler, if that ruler proves loyal to their people. If you do not trust me zhen I am obligated to lend my sword to someone more deserving.” Antione closed his eyes tearfully. “Bunnie, I’d understand if you want to stay behind.”

Bunnie went next to her husband before turning back showing her tint. “Actually, I think I will join you, but I hope you don’t mind if we take a little detour to the Southern Baronies first.”

Nicole approached Shard; her eyes tinted as well. “Now that I think about it does your team still have room for a new Ace, Jack?”

“I can’t believe this!” Sally said her eyes tinted. “My best friends are now turning their backs on the team too?! It was one mistake; I was trying help you!”

“You have a funny way of showing it,” said Nicole. “Rotor’s right, you could have come to us one on one, but nooo you wanted to make it part of a brilliant plan and show everyone how much a tactical genius you are. Well guess what genius, all you had to do was look back at seven years of you FAILING in deposing the fat tyrant who was hauling the world through a cesspool to know your logic kind of stinks! I must have been glitching if I couldn’t see it before!”

Shard, Rob and Guntiver looked at each other. “Maybe we should wait outside until you settle…this.” They left leaving the Knothole Fighters alone with Silver, Marine and Blaze.

Sally stared daggers at Nicole. “You ungrateful…”

“Ungrateful?” said Bunnie. “I stood by your side for years, I was always there when you needed someone to talk to girl to girl! I never gave anyone a reason to question if I could be counted on and you still thought I’d stab you in the back like my folks?! That’s ungrateful you spoiled little princess!”

“Did you know what being my handmaiden meant before we got my father back? You weren’t just a servant, if anything happened to me you were my successor, you would be the one to lead the Freedom Fighters and you would be the one to sit on the throne when it was all over! If anyone is ungrateful it’s YOU, but it looks like the apple didn’t fall far from the tree after all!”

“Don’t talk to my wife like zhat!” yelled Antoine.

“Or my Nikki!” shouted Rotor.

“Can it tubbo!” Sonic yelled. “You too you cheese eating priss!”

“STOP IT!” Cream cried. “You’re teammates, friends, family! You shouldn’t treat each other this way! I don’t like that they doubted me either but…”

“Be quiet!” snapped Sonic. “The grown-ups are talking!”

Cream’s tears began taking a subtle reddish hue from her eyes. “Grown-ups?! If you’re all so grown-up, then why don’t you act like it?! I’ve seen toddlers more mature than all of you are right now!”

“Chao, Chao!” Cheese said backing up Cream as his eyes had the same red his partner’s did.

“Zhat’s not very ladylike,” sneered Antione. “If only your mother could zee you now.”

“Leave her alone!” yelled Tails as his red tinted eyes glared with anger. “How can any of you treat someone so sweet and innocent like that?!”

“Don’t be so high and mighty Tails,” said Sally. “For someone so smart you can be so gullible sometimes, you could have been leaking information just out of sheer stupidity! As naïve as you are, you’re lucky we let you be anything more than the team mascot or the adorable sidekick.”

“Lucky?! I proven I had what it takes more times than I can count! I’m not some cowardly aloof genius who needs his hand held whenever something goes boo! I am a hero in my own right!”

Sonic smirked at Tails. “Well look who decided to put on his big boy pants today!”

“I love my Mom and Dad, they love me, but they can seem so distant sometimes and because of that I first went to you when I needed comfort even after they came back. You weren’t just my brother or my Aunt Sally, you two were my mom, dad and white picket fence! But now that I know what you REALLY think about me…!”

“Calm down! All of you!” said Blaze. “Something isn’t right here; you don’t normally act like this. Could it have something to do with the Darkest Day?”

“Wait,” said Nicole. “You KNEW something was going to happen today?!”

Silver stepped in. “Gold got some partial information that a battle on Angel Island would turn out badly for the Freedom Fighters, we didn’t have details and weren’t sure if it involved Sonic’s death or our interloper so we made a judgement call not to interfere unless it obviously led to the Mobius Imperium rising.”

“Well if you had volunteered that information maybe I would have taken ‘day that went down in infamy’ into account for my plans!” said Sally.

“You didn’t know what you were doing, big surprise!” said Sonic. “Here’s a little advice future boy, if you’re going to go back in time to change things it would help if you actually, LEARNED SOME HISTORY!”

Silver looked back with tinted eyes. “Excuse me?! We sacrificed being able to live in that future to save your life you miserable little…!”

Blaze stamped her foot. “Silver, you can’t let this get to you! As Princess of the Sol Islands and Guardian of the Sol Emeralds I hereby order all fighting to be stopped now!”

“Of course, your highness!” Cream said mockingly. “The best example of a princess, since you were a damsel in distress like three times already and with how often the Sol Emeralds were stolen, you’re a lousy guardian too!”

Marine clenched her fist as her eyes now had the tint. “How dare you address MY Princess like that!”

Blaze hands erupted in flames that now matched her reddish eyes. “Say that again and I’ll change the menu for dinner tonight to Rabbit Flambé!”

“You know what who needs you guys?!” yelled Sonic. “Now I know a bad buy is going to kill me before the year’s out I know what to look out for so you can stop babysitting me!”

“I can’t believe I survived for as long as I did and accomplished as much as I did when I was surrounded by so many idiots!” shouted Sally. “Alright then Rotor, Antoine, Bunnie, Nicole, you all want to leave then leave and you can ALL consider yourselves UNinvited to me and Sonic’s wedding! If we have each other who, needs, you!”

“Suits me just fine!” said Rotor. “And except for Nikki you can all forget about coming to me and Sealia’s wedding too! I’m going back to the frozen north were the people aren’t as cold as you!”

“Me and my twan will have such a lovely time at Rabbot Manor!” said Bunnie. “I have family history to catch up on, maybe Ma and Pa had the right idea after all!”

“Zhen after zhat we’ll be in Mercia where zhey know what Honor and Loyalty mean!” said Antione.

“It’ll be just me, Shard and the Secret Freedom Fighters from now on! I wish I could access my program like before I was trapped in this body, just so except for my father I could delete you all from my memory!”

“I’ll be glad to take you all back to Freedom City one last time!” shouted Tails. “Because the sooner I do that the sooner Cream and I can fly solo!”

Cream and Cheese stuck their tongues out while down their lower eye lids at the rest of the team.

“We’ll get Gold and find our own way to save the future!” said Silver. “And as far as we’re concerned you guys are all history!”

“So that’s it, we’re done as a team!” yelled Sonic. “And good riddance if you ask me!”

“I couldn’t have said it better myself!” Sally huffed.

“Fine!”

“Fine!”

“Fine!”

“Fine!”

“Fine!”

“Fine!”

“Chao!”

“Fine!”

“Fine!”

“Fine!”

Everyone stormed out of the room all more hurt than they let on.


“Divided they fall,” Specter said as he made the image of the auditorium vanish. The Supreme Council looked on amazed.

“That was some very impressive spellwork,” said Naugus. “Their teamwork is legendary, yet you broke it in a day.”

“Not only that but you had to show them your face to cast it,” said Witchcart. “Such a risky move near the end of the game was bold.”

“I can’t take all the credit,” said Specter. “My spell didn’t create the conflicts, it only magnified what was under the surface. The doubts, the fundamental disharmony, the Freedom Fighters provided that themselves.”

“But was everything we gained worth the cost?” asked Regina. “Every follower the Elite had gathered in a month we lost, on purpose!”

“They are not lost Ferrum,” Specter chuckled. “Consider it a test of faith on their parts. Once the Elemental War begins, we’ll not only get them back but grow their numbers thousands if not millions of times over.”

“So, when does this war begin?” asked Mammoth.

“Tomorrow, but not first thing. We’ll give them time to prepare for a threat, then we’ll strike.”

“But two of the elite are down. I don’t doubt your ability but without all their power…”

“Witchcart and I have that covered,” said Naugus as he pulled out two pendants, one blue, one green. “We finished these today Lord Specter, Geoffrey and Lucian should get the same boost as Fiona in case they need it.”

“Very well,” said Specter. “How are the mothers?”

Amy and Hershey’s screams could be heard from another part of the temple. “I’d say they should be done in a couple of hours,” said Witchcart.

“Then you may depart and greet the future of the Order of Ixis.”


The sun had gone down in Freedom City. Silver, Gold, Blaze and Marine had gathered in the apartment that served as an unofficial headquarters. “I’m sorry Gold,” Silver moaned as he leaned over a table. “We shouldn’t have left the Freedom Fighters without asking you.”

“Me being there wouldn’t have changed things,” Gold said as her eyes were red from the spell she unknowingly had and with tears. “Stupid Sally, Stupid Sonic, if they told us that they were looking for a traitor I would have stopped them because of the Darkest Day, then maybe Big wouldn’t have…”

“He’ll pull through,” said Blaze. “My reputation on the other hand, the people of the Sol Islands aren’t happy that I’ve been away for this long and that we got so many refugees from other regions. There have even been a small minority wondering if the Sol Guardian must be the monarch. It’s times like this I consider taking up catnip.”

Marine entered the apartment with a box. “Well I got something to cheer you all up.”

“Marine I don’t think we want to be cheered up,” said Silver. “Today was a total failure.”

“Not a total failure, a big milestone to saving everything you’ve done has been crossed, and it’s fitting it happened today.”

“The darkest day?” asked Blaze.

“You mean with everything you forgot what date it is? It’s the anniversary of when you washed up on the beach Blaze, and with the one thing that went right today I can say this officially, both to you and to Gold and Silver.

Marine opened the box.


Amy’s vision was blurry. “I must have passed out,"  She thought to herself.

Her ears cleared up and she could hear crying, a baby crying.

“Would you like to hold your baby?” she heard Fiona say.

Now her vison was complete, the cards did not lead her wrong.

“Yes,” Amy heard Hershey say. “Let me hold her.”

Amy’s heart stopped for a second. “If it wasn’t my baby Fiona talked about in the vison then…”

“Amy, you’re awake!” Lucian said.

Amy’s sight became clearer. “Lucian, the baby, is it…?”

“Funny thing, you wanted the baby to be a surprise and it was a surprise.”

Amy gasped. “What’s wrong with the baby?!”

“Nothing!” Lucian said before taking her hand. “Nothing is wrong. Except it isn’t the baby, it’s the babies, twins.”

Amy felt both relief and unbounded joy. “Please, let me see them!”

“Of course, my love, they’ve been impatient about it so maybe feed them to make up for keeping them waiting?”

Amy smiled. “Nothing could make me happier.”

Lucian picked up two wrapped bundles. “Hey kids, say hello to mommy.”

Amy took the two and pressed them to her breasts, she felt such bliss from having them nurse.

“Hello, my precious ones, you are going to be so loved.” Amy turned back to Lucian. “You didn’t pick names yet have you?”

“Not before but when I saw them something came to mind and it just felt right.” He then leaned in and whispered in her ears.

“I was thinking of the same thing, they just seem perfect!”

Amy took at the two nursing children, a little blond tenrec girl and a little grey hedgehog boy.

“I never loved anyone more than I love the two of you, Gold and Silver.”

She looked up and saw Geoffrey and Hershey smiling over the bundle in the cat’s arms, Fiona was nearby, tired but looking proud. “I’m so glad you made me a part of this,” said Fiona. “Now I know for sure that I want to be a mother myself one day.”

“Thank you, Fiona,” said Amy. “Hershey, Geoffrey meet Gold and Silver.”

“They are beautiful,” said Geoffrey. “And you need to meet our daughter, a little princess with her mother’s fire.”

Hershey shown a tiny lilac kitten who was starting to nod off and smiled. “Our little Blaze.”

Amy felt her children finish eating and held them close so she could see them and the newborn kitten.

“I can already tell they’ll be best friends, you three have such a wonderful future ahead of you.”

The babies yawned before drifting off to sleep.


Marine lit the three candles on the cake she took out of the box. “Happy birthday everyone.”

Gold sighed. “Strange right now there two of each of us in this world, all of us here after having gone through so much and three versions of us who are newborns with their whole lives ahead of them. Totally helpless, needing their parents for everything and able to offer nothing in return but unconditional love.”

“Still how can it be a happy birthday?” said Blaze. “Knowing what we do, the final hurdle to make sure all the good we’ve done remains intact?”

“The most painful thing Amy, Lucian, Geoffrey and Hershey are ever going to go through,” said Silver. “The worst crime Mammoth Mogul is ever going to commit.”


“I hope I’m not interrupting this blessed moment,” said Mammoth as he came into the room.

“Not at all Master Mogul,” said Fiona. Both mothers and the three children are safe, healthy and beautiful.”

“Can I take a look?”

“Go ahead,” said Geoffrey. “We want the world to see them.”

Mammoth came near Amy and gently placed the tip of his massive finger on Baby Silver’s forehead. “You needn’t worry about them; they’ll grow up to do something incredible. After all I have plans for the future.”

Baby Silver woke up and tried to grab Mammoth’s finger.

“Big plans.”


“He’s going to take us from our parents,” said Silver. “He’s going to take the babies and send them into the future, once they come back, they’ll be all grown up…”

Silver felt like he was a baby himself, he didn’t need the mental link to tell that Gold and Blaze also felt like him, babies who just wanted to cry for mommy and daddy.

“Our moms and dads, they’ll never see their babies again!”

Chapter 20: Legends of the Unbidden Temple

Summary:

Sonic commits to an all or nothing raid on the Order's headquarters, Robotnick begins to make his own counterattack, Bunnie gets in touch with her roots and the Elemental War begins as the Freedom Fighters infiltrate the Temple of Ixis.

Chapter Text

Sonic woke up feeling a feminine hand brush his chest, then turned to see Sally caressing him.

“I don’t think we ever snuggled for that long before.”

“Consider it a preview,” Sally chuckled. “We’re going to do a lot more than snuggle when we’re on our wedding night.”

“Sounds good to me, and don’t worry that’ll be one thing I’ll want to take slow for once.”

The two giggled. “I’m so happy, that completely took my mind off THEM,” Sally finished with a hint of venom.

Sonic started grumbling. “Lousy, no good backstabbers, after everything we’ve done for ‘em. We’ll just take out Masquerade and Mister Perfect by ourselves. Between your brains and my speed, they won’t stand a chance. Those guys had just been holding us back all these years.”

“Still the wedding is going to be a headache, we’ll need to find a new Maid of Honor, Best Man, Bridesmaids, Groomsmen…”

“We could go back to my original idea and just elope.”

Sally began tracing her finger on Sonic’s chest. “You know that might actually be best thing right now.”

“Sonic!” he heard his father call. “You have company!”

“Who is it?!” Sonic yelled annoyed.

“It’s me Sonic,” said Knuckles. “I brought Julie and Mighty with me!”

“I’ll be right there!” Sonic turned to Sally. “Hopefully, this shouldn’t take long.”

Sonic stepped out of his room. “I’m not in a good mood Knucklehead so this better…URK!”

Knuckles suddenly punched Sonic in the face.

“What are you doing?!” yelled Jules.

“Sonic!” Sally yelled.

“Good you’re here too,” Julie-su said. She then slapped the princess in the face.

“Ow!”

“Have you two completely lost your minds?!” yelled Jules.

“Bear with me for a moment,” Knuckles turned back to Sonic and Sally. “The pain should help you both realize, Specter cast some sort of spell on us back in the Emerald Chamber of the Hidden Palace, Athair called it a curse. The small doubts and resentments you might have to anyone else with the curse are inflated to where you can’t stand them but not enough to lash out physically so it can stay hidden. You must fight it, push that burning haze out of your mind and realize that the others aren’t your enemies!”

Sonic and Sally growled but the gasped in realization, the red tint in their eyes vanished. “W-what have we done?! We practically tossed all our friends out and…!”

“None of us were behaving like ourselves,” Knuckles turned to Julie-su with a blush. “After you guys left, I started blaming you for what happened to Mom, I’d still be blaming you if Julie hadn’t slapped me like that.”

“I was just surprised when you asked me to do it to you again,” said Julie. “At the time I just thought that trying to come to grips with Lara-le’s condition was making you into a jerk.

“In any case I need you two and the rest of your team. I found Specter’s base, but we need your help to get there.”

“What are you talking about?” asked Sally. “None of the wizards we caught knew where it was.”

Knuckles took out a map and laid it on a table. “Specter probably wanted the Master Emerald so no one could use it to cancel out the Chaos Emeralds he has, that desire for control is going to be his undoing. I can sense the Master Emerald, even if it’s broken into pieces, so I just took a map to focus my senses on where it was on Mobius and they led me here.” Knuckles then pointed to a small island surrounded by others.

Sonic nodded. “Devil’s Gulag, fitting the guy would use the former home for the worst scum on Mobius as his own. Not only that but after two big breakouts courtesy of Eggman followed by the volcanoes in the area starting to get even more volatile the place was abandoned so he just had to move in.”

“Probably found it to be some sort of place of power,” said Sally. “On top of a dormant volcano with clear access to the sky and surrounded by water you have all four elements right there. The boiling sea and the sheer cliffs that made it so hard to escape also make it difficult to attack.”

“We tried to use a warp ring to get there only to be blocked by some kind of barrier,” said Julie. “But since they tried to keep the location secret, I’m betting that an aerial approach isn’t so easily guarded against.”

“I know it might be a big ask but we need the Sky Patrol,” said Knuckles. “While Julie doesn’t want me going without her and Mighty wants to try getting Fiona back himself the rest of the Chaotix have to stay back and fix up the damage from the attack. Given what we’ll be up against the three of us and your team are the best chance we got.”

“But everyone’s split!” said Sonic. “Rotor’s way up north, Bunnie and Twan are either in the Baronies or Mercia, Nicole’s with the Secret Freedom Fighters who’ve gone radio silent, we have no idea where Silver and Gold are, and Blaze and Marine are probably halfway to the Sol Islands by now! We don’t have enough of a team to fly there much less fight.”

“What about Tails and Cream?” said Mighty. “Somehow I doubt their parents would just let them go off somewhere without asking questions that would make them suspicious about why they got into a fight with everyone else.”

Jules sighed. “Rosemary and Amadeus have been with Bernie and the rest of the council in an emergency meeting since Sally told us that Charlemagne and Specter were the same person, I actually doubt they were able to see Tails since he got back.” Jules then clenched his fist. “Part of me is seriously thinking about having my brother roboticize me again just so I won’t have to be reminded every time I look in a mirror of how that slimeball used me to get everyone to trust him!”

Julie clapped his shoulder. “Don’t let him get to you, he used everyone. How about Cream’s parents? From what I heard about Vanilla she’d probably could set anyone straight with a few choice gentle words.”

“We’ll stop by on our way to the Sky Patrol hangar,” said Sally as she reached for the door. “Time’s of the essence so…”

Sally opened the door only for Tails, Cream and Cheese to be standing on the other side looking a little disheveled. After a few seconds of silence everyone started speaking at once.

“I’m sorry that…”

“I’m sorry that…”

“I’m sorry that…”

“I’m sorry that…”

“Wait you’re not under…?!”

“Wait you’re not under…?!”

“Wait you’re not under…?!”

“Wait you’re not under…?!”

“We were just about to…!”

“We were just about to…!”

“We were just about to…!”

“We were just about to…!”

Knuckles whistled. “One at a time! Sal you first, go.”

“Tails, Cream curse or not I never should have said any of those horrible things to you!”

“We know now you didn’t mean any of it,” said Tails. “But we shouldn’t have gone off on you either.”

“So, we’re all cool now little buddy?” asked Sonic.

“We’re cool, but how’d did you two snap out of it?”

“Knux and Julie knocked some sense into us,” said Sonic. “You guys?”

Cream blushed furiously. “When we got back the Wild Bunch were throwing a party to celebrate when they first became a team. Tails and I thought it would be a great start to our solo adventuring careers, so we joined without telling anyone we left the Freedom Fighters. Little did we know Porker, Tekno and Ebony used a potion Ebony knew in everyone’s drinks to get Mother and Father into ‘the spirit of things’.”

“It lowered everyone’s inhibitions,” Tails said flushed red himself. “It was a side of miss Vanilla I never saw before, and Cream never realized she had. Between the dancing and the music someone stepped on Cheese’s foot, that got him to realize what happened and then he bit us to get us out of the spell. I forget that those sharp teeth Chao tend to hide aren’t just for show.”

“But even with that the potion didn’t make us realize what happened until the morning,” Cream’s face now looked like a tomato. “While me and mother were in ‘wild girl’ mode she and father wanted to teach me something they thought I’d find useful and because of it… mother and I couldn’t find our skirts for an hour after we woke up.”

Jules gasped. “You mean…?!”

“NO!” Cream regained her composure. “I mean it was just the powderpuff, you know how boys and girls with stubby tails use them in a way like kissing.”

“They must have really been out of it then,” said Julie. “Despite your looks you’re seven, I didn’t learn about tail tickling until I was twelve!”

“I was ten myself,” said Sonic. “I learned all about tail tickling, the powderpuff, the swish, the feather duster, the paintbrush…”

“I keep forgetting how big of a flirt you used to be,” Sally groaned.

“We’re wasting time!” shouted Mighty. “We need the Sky Patrol to get to Devil’s Gulag and stop Specter!”

Sally nodded. “I’m sure once Father and the council are informed that we found the Order’s hideout they’ll give us the go ahead for this mission.” She then turned to Cream. “I’m afraid that you’ll have to stay behind for an equally important assignment, try to get into contact the Artic, Mercian and Secret Freedom Fighters as well as the Sol Islands. We need to tell them what happened to Nicole, Bunnie, Antione, Rotor, Blaze and Marine and how to get them to break the spell. If you know anyone who lives near Rabbot Manor in the Southern Baronies let them know in case Bunnie and Antione are still there.”

“There are a few family friends from when Mother and I lived there I can reach,” said Cream.

“So, what are we waiting for?” said Sonic. “Specter tricked us, trashed our homes, took our friends and kicked our butts. I say it’s time we returned the favor.”

“But what about Mr. Silver and Miss Gold?”

Sally sighed. “Until we know where they went, we’ll just have to keep an eye out and try to reason with them if we cross paths. Still it would useful to know what they’re doing right now.”


Amy smiled as Baby Gold stuck her tongue out slightly while the later had her diaper changed. Feeling playful Amy did the same, her daughter pulled her tongue back in.

“Ah you’re no fun.”

However once Amy pulled her tongue in Baby Gold stuck hers out again.

“Oh, so THAT’S the game you’re playing with mommy.” Amy stuck her tongue out again causing her daughter to pull hers in again only to stick it out again when Amy pulled back.

“As much fun as you two are having Silver’s awake,” said Lucian as he picked the baby hedgehog out of the crib in the room set aside for the Elite to use as a nursery. “You know he doesn’t like being apart from his sister and that he has a set of lungs on him.”

Amy finished taping up the diaper. “You heard daddy Gold; I’ll get the mobile spinning.”

Lucian watched as the twins were put down and made cooing noises at each other. “Still it all feels a little unreal, I’m a dad.”

At that moment crying came from another crib in the room.

“I got it,” Geoffrey said as he picked up the lilac kitten. “Hershey’s trying to catch up on sleep. Ok Mommy fed you just before putting you down, you don’t seem to need a change right now…”

Baby Blaze stopped crying and started to gently coo.

“Looks like she just wanted to be held,” said Amy.

Geoffrey looked at the kitten. “Supposedly we’re supposed to be able to tell their cries apart for different things they want. You’d think if they figured that out, they’d put in down in a book or something.”

“Well I think it’s different for each kid,” said Lucian. “They’re still trying to know what to say themselves.”

“I’m still kind of surprised though,” said Amy. “I mean when Mobians of two different species have children it’s usually twins with one from each parent species. You aren’t disappointed that Blaze doesn’t have a little skunk to play with?”

Geoffrey sighed. “I did imagine a little boy who’d carry on the St. John’s name but seeing Blaze none of that matters to me, that and with single children a younger sibling usually is the species of the other parent so maybe if she gets a little brother or sister someday. Besides when she needs to have her diaper changed, I’m convinced there’s still a bit of skunk in her.” He began to tickle his daughter’s stomach causing the kitten to laugh. “Yes, you’re daddy’s little stinker aren’t you? Aren’t you?”

“Ahem,” Fiona stood in the doorway to the nursery. “I hate to interrupt your family bonding, but the Supreme Council needs to speak with both Lucian and Geoffrey about the final preparations for the Elemental War.”

“Just the two of us?” asked Lucian.

“Hershey and Amy still need to recover from giving birth, but we’re not expecting too much trouble.”

“Go ahead,” Amy said taking Baby Blaze. “I’ll hold her for a little while and wake Hershey if I need help.”

“Thank you,” Geoffrey then turned to his daughter. “You be good for mommy and Mrs. Rose until I get back ok?”

“Ga.” said the Kitten.

“Good girl.”

As Amy cuddled the kitten Lucian leaned over the edge of the crib and looked at the twins. “Daddy has work to do but I promise I’ll be back.” He placed his fingers near the babies letting them grab his fingertips. “I never got to know my parents, but you will get to know me my little girl, my little boy.”

“Boo.”

“Aba.”

He gave both a kiss then left with Geoffrey and Fiona.

After a short walk Fiona stopped them in front of a door. “Before you enter, I have something for you both.” She took out two teardrop shaped pendants, one blue and one green, and gave them to the men. “Put them on now, they’ll strengthen your powers in case you need them.”

The two each put the pendants around their necks and their suddenly became purple.

“Finally,” said Geoffrey. “A body of my own again.”

“So, this is what it’s like to have thumbs,” said Lucian. “Now I know why everyone else makes a big deal about them.”

“Yeah, yeah,” Agunus grumbled from Fiona. “We each have our own bodies now. As much as we don’t want to deal with each other or Naugus ever again first we have to secure our power by getting rid of Specter and to that end the mutant, Mammoth and the rest need to discuss their plan with us.”

The possessed Skunk turned to Lucian. “Something big must be about to go down Suguna, we better follow along…for now.”

“Very well Nusgau,” said the possessed Tenrec.

The three came into the room where Witchcart kept her cauldron, she and the rest of the Supreme Council had gathered.

“Ah all my predecessors are now bothering someone else’s head instead of my own,” said Naugus. “But knowing you I bet you each already came up with a plan to get rid of me and the others, know I already did the same myself but seeing which of us is truly the superior will have to wait. Specter is about to kick off his elemental war.”

“So, what’s the plan?” asked Nusgau.

“Charlemagne had only awoken an hour ago,” said Witchcart. “Specter’s vessel won’t survive the day so that means he’ll have to bring his new vessel to the temple very soon. We just have to prevent the transfer.”

“And how are you going to do that?” asked Suguna.

“Like this,” said Regina as she stood next to a cupboard. She opened it up and Snively tumbled out covered in Ixis garb.

Snively gasped for air. “I thought I was going to suffocate in there! After being an inmate in this prison once I hope this is the last time I ever come here!”

“I sorry my Snively,” said Regina. “But with all our acolytes abandoned in yesterday’s mission this was the best way to make sure you were hidden. But are you wearing the tracking device?”

“Not exactly,” Snively sighed rubbing his arm. “Turns out as part of my initial physical soon after boarding the Colossus Doctor Robotnick had slipped a few tracking nanites into a ‘routine inoculation’.  The device is in my bloodstream.”

“All the better,” said Mammoth. “I’ll make sure the new mothers don’t interfere, Robotnick should be here before or when the vessel is brought here. All the not-so-good doctor will have to do is…”


Up on the Colossus Viktor Robotnick grinned as he looked at a marker on a digital map with red and black eyes. “…follow the yellow blip road.”

“All weapons are armed,” Phage said from a nearby terminal. “Four neo swat battalions are standing by to attack. Red Knight and White Bishop are ready for deployment on your orders.”

“Good, now that The Ascendancy has the territorial advantage it’s time to tie up the loose end that is The Order of Ixis and as a bonus those Chaos Emeralds should ensure my army is powerful enough to crush any further opposition now that I have the means to use them to full effect.”

“What about Snively?” asked Lilith. “Are you sure he’ll be able to escape your bombardment of Devil’s Gulag?”

“If he can’t then he’s of no further use to us, but I expect he’ll worm his way out with Regina in tow. Specter and any who stand with him are finished, any in the coup who escape we’ll deal with later.”

Neo Metal Sonic stepped up. “The rest of the Neo Metal series is ready to command the battalions, but I question taking us off the front lines for this mission. I know this is to keep up our momentum in our conquest, but it sounds like you’re taking this personally.”

 “Snively told me their entire plan, including that the Freedom Fighters getting their brains back in the Hot Lab was Specter’s doing for his own goals. I don’t like being made a chump, after today the world will know what happens to those who double cross Viktor Robotnick. If anyone is going to rule this world it’s us.”

Still why this much firepower?” asked Phage. “If we use all this there will be nothing left of the island.”

“White Bishop and Red Knight acquired some…interesting intel,” said Lilith. “It’s classified but for now know that we’re not taking any chances on this one, the only future we will permit to happen is one where the Robotnick Ascendancy rules this planet and beyond.”

The Colossus continued to power its way to its destination and the inevitable showdown.


Bunnie looked on at the plantation house that had certainly seen better days. Weeds had taken over the gardens, there were several broken windows, the white paint had mostly peeled away and the grand columns up front had several noticeable cracks.

“Maybe it izn’t as bad on the inside non?” said Antione.

Bunnie sighed. “I can’t believe after everything I’ve been through, I’m afraid of an old house I barely remember. Still if Ma and Pa wanted me to have it, I guess there’s no harm in takin’ a look at least.”

The couple came to the front double doors. Antione gently knocked only for the doors to fall ahead of him off their hinges making a big crash when they hit the floor. “I guess we can also add fix front door to zhe list.”

Bunnie stepped into the main foyer and looked around. The chandelier, several tables and other pieces of furniture were covered in dust cloth which was covered in dust itself but underneath she could tell how beautiful and grandiose Rabbot Manor was in its heyday. “Was I really born here? This isn’t a mansion, it’s a palace.”

The couple went through the ground floor room by room. Most were the same, peeling wallpaper, some broken floorboards and portraits what were covered in cloth. Most were of relatives Bunnie didn’t know but near the comparatively intact ballroom was one that depicted a couple of rabbits that she vaguely recalled.

“It’s them, Ma and Pa, before they turned on Uncle Beau and the Kingdom, before the overlanders turned on ‘em and…” Bunnie shook her head. “Just give me a moment.”

The buck rabbit was wearing a fine white suit and sported a distinguished white mustache and goatee. The doe wore a fancy pink dress and held a folding fan, her ears tied back in a manner like a ponytail. Both had a stern look to them.

“Pardon me but zhey don’t seem very pleasant.”

“From what I heard they weren’t, maybe this was a mistake.”

Antione lowered the cloth and began leading Bunnie out. “Well we can find someone else to appraise the place. You can sell it and don’t have to worry about…”

Suddenly Bunnie stopped as they began to pass by a fancy but otherwise ordinary drawing room. She went to the edge of the door and knelt as low as she could as if trying to see something. Then a memory came rushing back to her, the mansion was back in its full glory as her parents were talking to an overlander woman in some fancy uniform.

“This information would let us bypass the Acorn forces undetected and capture the town before they can reinforce it. Afraid we’d kill your brother Jedidiah?”

“If he is willing to turn his back on generations of tradition then he is no brother of mine.”

“Independence for the Baronies is all we’re concerned about, along with what you promised.”

“Rest assured Suzanne we have dealt with this a long…”

Suddenly the two rabbits turned to where Bunnie was.

“Springbean, what are you doing up?” Jedidiah asked his face and Suzanne’s becoming much softer.

Bunnie almost answered until she saw a version of herself step forward, two to three years old wearing pink coverall pajamas with a bottom flap that had a hole for her tail and holding a blanket in one hand and a sippy cup in the other.

“Foursty, cawwot joose pawease.”

Susanne knelt and picked the toddler up. “I’m sorry Springbean but if I give you carrot juice now, you’ll be up all night. How about while your pa and the nice lady talk, I’ll get you some water then you can go to bed and dream about havin’ all the carrot juice you want.”

“Ohtay Mama, nigh-nigh Papa, nigh-nigh noice wady.”

Then the ghosts of the past faded away.

“Bunnie?” the coyote asked.

“I-I just remembered them, really remembered them. I was such a young’n when everything happened, I thought that all I would ever have was what other people would tell me.” Bunnie stood up. “There’s a room I gotta see.”

Bunnie ran upstairs Antione close behind her. She came to another dusty room, a nursery with a small bed and several toys on the floor collecting dust. Antione came in as Bunnie looked at a tiny bed. “Is zhis?”

“My nursery,” said Bunnie. “From what Derrick Fox told me I was sleepin’ right here when he came back after the Battle of Winding Pass. He told me that Ma and Pa needed me to go with him to see Uncle Beau and that they would come for me later. He said it was close, if he was a few minutes late or he wasn’t good as he was at being sneaky then I’d have been with Ma and Pa when the overlanders…”

“Zhis is too much,” said Antione. “Let’s go to Mercia, have someone else appraise the house.”

Bunnie then grabbed Antione’s hand. “No, it’s fine. I’m not upset it’s just I heard a lot about the family from Uncle Beau and Aunt Lulu but now I think I’m starting to understand what they meant. Just one more place before we get finished listing things off.”

They only went a door down the hall and came into the master bedroom Bunnie went to a bookshelf and took two leather bound books off it. One looked heavy and contained a family tree the accounts of several distinguished looking rabbits. The other was smaller but still old looking, inside was a half-filled photo album. “As much as tech’s been a big part of our lives it’s hard to believe Mobians only began using things like photographs back when our parents were youngun’s”

She started in middle where the pictures stopped suddenly and began working back. The in the most recent it was a lot like that night she remembered, her mother and father with her as a toddler, she worked backwards, she was wearing a diaper, first birthday, first steps, starting to crawl, wrapped in a bundle as her mother held her, then just her father and a mother with a very large belly, then both dressed for a wedding, another photo showing Beauregard and Lulumae at their wedding. Finally, at the first page it showed four rabbit kids, two boys and two girls one of which had her ears tied back like a ponytail, covered in nothing but a large coat of mud all laughing and smiling.

Bunnie began tearing up. “Ma and Aunt Lulu were best friends before they married into the family, Pa and Uncle Beau too.” The tears seemed to bring out the red in Bunnie’s eyes. “They’d still have been friends if weren’t for Sally’s ancestors.”

“We’re leaving all zhat behind,” said Antione as his eyes became more red. “An ocean away, Mercia will be a good place for your family to start…”

“No,” Bunnie wiped the tears away. “I’ve made up my mind about what to do with the house. I’m still coming with you, but I’ll have someone fix everything up and bring Rabbot Manor back to its former glory. Because once this war is over, once we finally have peace, I want us to live here, I want our children to grow up here like generations of my family have! I’m a Rab-bot and proud of it, but I’m also a Rab-beaux and I won’t let my family’s legacy just die out!”

Antione hugged his wife. “It iz beautiful, it will be our castle, our family’s castle.”

Bunnie smiled but then looked back at the coyote slyly. “How about I give you a bit of a preview? You and me on this bed that that Uncle Beau told me gained a bit of a reputation in the family. I was conceived in it, so was Pa, my uncle, my grandpa and so many Rabbot boys and girls. The story goes the wood of the frame gives an odor that induces something ancestral in rabbits, that thing that made us prone to big families, that’s why this bed has been called The Babymaker. I’m not in heat but we can still see if it puts me in the ‘family mood’.

Antione responded by kissing her deeply. “Perhaps we can also see if it’s not just rabbits it works on…”

Bunnie and Antione slipped under the covers and moved in for another kiss.

The next thing they knew both them and the bed were thrown against the wall of the room by a ball of hardened lava that burst out of the opposite wall.

“Ugh,” Antione shook his head. “What happened? Wait, we vere under a spell. It made me act like cur to the others!”

Bunnie grunted as she began to rise out of the wrecked bed. “Me too sug, I feel awful about it. But what just happened?”

A roar came outside a gaping hole in the wall leading to the garden outside. Through the hole Bunnie saw a giant made of hardened lava next to a stone one holding a club, knight looking creature that seem to be made of wind and a large creature watery creature that bore a resemblance to Chaos 6.

“Merci…” Antione said. His legs buckled until he grabbed his sword.

Bunnie however gritted her teeth. “Get away…” She leapt out the hole and punched the lava titan with her robotic arm. “Get away from my house!”


Up on the Sky Patrol the radio crackled to life. “Sky Patrol come in!” King Max said from the other end. “Freedom City is under attack! Elemental creatures are pounding at our defenses and capturing anyone they subdue! Our troops can destroy them, but they just keep reforming! We’re getting reports of attacks like this all over Mobius, they’re targeting us, the United Federation, the Robotnick Ascendancy, everyone!”

Sally came next to Sonic and picked up the microphone on the console Bunnie usually manned. “Don’t worry father, if this is the Specter’s doing then we’re moving to take these things out at the source. Try to hold out for as long as you can!”

“I understand my little bean, good luck to all of you.”

“Looks like Masquerade is making his move,” said Sonic. “Better step on it Tails.”

Tails nodded from the helm. “Roger that, we should see Devil’s Gulag soon. We’re going to get back our friends, the essences, the emeralds, everything. As Uncle Derrick used to say, let’s hit this henhouse.”

On the viewport the spires of the prison rose from the mountain top, but now they were covered in black stone and gave a strange purple glow. An ominous cloud seemed to settle over the whole area.

Julie whistled from the engineering station. “The henhouse huh? Then it looks like it belongs to one big ugly, hen.”

The radar panel beeped. “I’m picking up something,” said Mighty. “There’s a ship actually sailing into that boiling sea!”

“But that’s suicide!” Knuckles yelled from tactical. “Who’d do something like that?!”

Tails began working a control panel to the side. “Hang on, our cameras should give us a visual on it.”

The viewport changed to show a large gold and blue cross between a sail and paddleboat with a big gold eagle on the bow sprit in the middle of the storm-tossed boiling sea.

“The Ocean Tornado?!” said Tails. “But what are Blaze and Marine doing out here?”

Sally sat back down in the captain’s chair. “Whatever it is I’m not sure that ship can run in water that hot for long and the winds around here are unpredictable. We have to tell Marine and Blaze what happened to us.”

Sonic turned the microphone on. “Sky Patrol to Ocean Tornado please respond.”


“Ocean Tornado come in,” came Sonic’s voice from the radio. “Blaze, Marine you are both…”

Silver used his telekinesis to turn the radio off. “Gold you’re sure that the Order of Ixis is headquartered at this island?”

Gold nodded. “Specter actively resisted my attempts to read his mind in that chamber, but I did manage to pick out two words.”

“Devil’s Gulag,” said Blaze. “It was lucky you spotted it when Marine went over the sea charts to find the fastest way back to the Sol Islands. Since there’s a good chance the interloper is somehow connected to the Order going there is the best chance we have to stop the Mobius Imperium before it starts and at the same time we can make sure that Mammoth Mogul will be able to…” Blaze looked away sadly. “…kidnap our younger selves.”

“I can’t imagine what you’re goin’ through mates,” Marine said from the ship’s wheel. “It must be so much harder since you got a sense for who your parents were.”

Silver blushed. “Makes one previous timeline where my mother was attracted to me thinking I was Sonic in the dark awkward. With the timeline changing because of my actions how we grew up had a lot of little details shifted around and Blaze mostly draws from her experiences from after she was bound to the Sol Dimension as her real childhood so we’re not tempted to change it for our sakes. It’s what our parents are going to go through that has us worried, having your child taken from you is a parent’s worst nightmare, not only that if this mental block they all have is undone would they even see us in the same way? Gold was right it would have been a lot easier if they were just strangers to us.”

“Well we never had an easy path,” said Blaze. “Plus, there’s a very strong chance the Interloper is the one responsible for that block, we’ll just need…” Blaze looked out to the distance several flying shapes were coming towards them. “We’ve got company! Marine hard right rudder and arm the weapons!”

Up ahead bat like fire creatures, bees made of stone, bird headed tornados and water creatures that resembled a smaller Chaos 4 were approaching them.

Marine spun the wheel while flipping a red switch. “Right full rudder, arming weapons! Aye, aye ma’am!” The ship began turning to starboard, a gun turret rose from below the deck and a few cannons came from ports on the side. “Steady on course ma’am!”

“Very well. Wait for my signal, then fire and shift your rudder!”

“Wait for your signal, then fire and shift rudder. Aye, aye ma’am!”

“Gold can you man the turret?”

“Sure thing,” said the Tenrec as she leapt into the gunner’s seat.

Silver powered his psychokinesis. “I’ll be ready to launch back as many projectiles as I can catch!”

Blaze ignited her flames. “Good, because here they come! Fire!”

As the elementals came in the Ocean Tornado let loose turret rounds cannon balls and a flamethrower that Blaze supercharged. The elementals were dissipated but not before the Ibis Takers hurled fire balls and the stone bees fired stingers, Silver telekinetically grabbed as many as he could, but the ship took a few hits.

Marine turned the Ocean Tornado into a hard left back towards their original heading. “Meet her then steady on course!”

Marine began slowing the turn. “Meeting her then steady on course. Aye, aye ma’am!”

As soon as the elementals reformed Silver threw the collected projectiles forcing them to reform again. “We’ll get nowhere if we have to keep doing this!”

A few of the lava globs passed Silver’s defenses, one of them destroyed the gun turret causing Gold to be thrown onto the deck.

“Oof!”

“Gold you ok?” asked Silver.

Gold’s mark began glowing along with her eyes. “Sorry for the intrusion, but I have to get something off your minds!”

The other three clutched their heads for a moment as the red was dispelled from their eyes.

“We were under a spell?” said Blaze. “But how did…?”

“I used my mental healing power to break the curse. It was also how was able to adjust your minds to the different timelines and I can even use a person’s mental energy to heal their own wounds.”

Silver growled. “Our primary mission was to protect Sonic, even as angry as that spell made us how could just ignore that?!”

“We can beat ourselves up later!” said Marine. “Those wankers are still comin’ for us!”

A few stone needles had torn through the paddlewheels allowing the boiling sea to slowly leak in.

Gold rushed to the radio. “Mayday, mayday! This is the Ocean Tornado to Sky Patrol. We are under attack and taking on water, request immediate assistance!”

“We copy Ocean Tornado,” Sonic said from the radio. “We’ll try to come for you…”


Up above the Sky Patrol was taking hits from the flying elementals. “…unfortunately, we have our hands full at the moment!”

Knuckles growled as he controlled the ship’s weapons. “We just lost the Laser Blasters and the Particle Beam Cannon! The ammo for everything else isn’t going to last that much longer!”

“Engine output down to seventy percent,” said Julie. “If we’re going to make a rescue attempt, we have to do it now.”

“Tails try to bring us in low enough to pick them up,” said Sally. “I know slowing down for a rescue is going to be very risky...”

“Then don’t stop,” Silver said over the radio. “I can levitate us all up with my psychokinesis, just concentrate on providing us cover fire.”

“He’s right,” said Tails. “Just open the hangar and I’ll try to get us as close as possible.”

The Sky Patrol dove near the sinking Ocean Tornado just as Silver levitated everyone up. Both were becoming surrounded by elementals.

“That’s it,” Knuckles groaned. “The Anti-Air Missiles and the Volkan Cannon are spent. All we have left is the Sonic Power Cannon and I know shooting Sonic into that boiling soup is not an option.”

“Can this get any worse?” Sally sighed.

An alarm came from the radar station.

“You just had to ask,” moaned Sonic.

Mighty had his attention on his screen. “Something huge just appeared off our stern!”

The viewport shown a giant battleship appear out of thin air. Sally gritted her teeth. “The Colossus.”

“They’re opening fire, wait most of it is heading to the elementals!”

Outside the Colossus unloaded its guns and missiles while launching aviator neo swats.

“Silver and the others are in!” said Tails. “Taking evasive action!”

“Well we guessed Mr. Perfect didn’t like being played by the Pick-a-Card Club,” said Sonic. “What say we take advantage of him?”

Sally nodded. “Get to the Sonic Power Cannon, you’re going to clear a path for us to get to that fortress.”

“Somehow I doubt they’ll just let us use their landing pad,” said Knuckles.

“Which is why we’re not going to use it. The Sonic Power Cannon is going to bust a hole into that fortress that we’re going to fly the Sky Patrol into. Unfortunately, we’ll have to settle for a crash landing.”

The bridge shook violently.

“Port side engine’s hit!” said Julie. “Output down to thirty percent! If we’re going to do this, we better do it now!”

Sally hit the intercom button on her chair. “All hands, strap in!”

Sonic ran out of the bridge. “I’m in position!” he said from the speakers a half second later.

“Fire once we have a shot at the fortress Knuckles, Sonic should be able to plow through any enemies in his way. Tails, Julie, as soon as we fire head for Devil’s Gulag at maximum possible speed. Burn out the engines if you have to, something tells me we were going to have to replace them anyway.”

Knuckles kept both eyes on the targeting display. “Firing Sonic Power Cannon…NOW!”

Sonic was launched into a line of elementals before breaking a big hole into the Temple of Ixis.

“Gun it Tails!” Sally shouted. “All hands brace for impact!”

The Sky Patrol suddenly accelerated through the opening Sonic made and crashed into the hole in the temple.


From the bridge of the Colossus Robotnik watched as smoke billowed of the entrance Sonic made.

“Do you think they survived?” Asked Lilith.

Viktor gave a shark like grin as his eyes turned black. “If they didn’t fine, otherwise they’ll go down with Specter as we wipe that prison off the map.”

“Diverting power from all non-essential systems,” said Phage. “Shields holding at ninety three percent, initial squadron of aviator swats down to eight percent strength.”

“Launch two more squadrons with the Neo Metal Series commanding them. Get Red Knight and White Bishop prepped for deployment and activate the control thrones.”

“As you command doctor.”

Two chairs rose in the middle of the bridge each with a needle like arm that looked ready to stab whoever sat in them right in the brain stem. Viktor and Lilith each sat down.

“We’re ready to assume direct control of the battle,” Lilith said. “Jack us in.”

“Executing command.”

The needle like arms thrust forward into ports in the back of their heads. The two would be tyrants’ eyes closed but moved rapidly underneath as if they were dreaming.


Sally groaned as she sat back up, all around her panels sparked and wires dangled from the ceiling. “Is everybody in one piece?”

“I think so,” said Knuckles.

“I just got word from Blaze,” said Julie. “She and the others are ok. Sonic is with them now.”

Sally sighed in relief. “Good, damage report.”

“Believe me you don’t want to know,” said Mighty.

“I thought as much,” said Tails. “I don’t think the Tornado is going to be able to carry all of us back to the mainland.”

“Sorry little bro,” Sonic said as he Silver, Blaze, Marine and Gold came in. “But that little maneuver chucked it out of the hanger and into one of Robotnick’s missiles.” He turned to Silver. “I don’t suppose once this is over you can return the favor by floating us back?”

Silver shook his head. “Even if I was flying solo that I’d tire out before getting back to safe land.”

“We’ll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it,” said Sally. “As for the apologies for what we said under that spell they’ll have to wait until after we save the world.”

“Consider them already accepted them for my part,” said Blaze before turning to Sonic. “You’ve been here before; can you point us to where the essences are likely to be?”

Sonic shook his head. “They were going to send me here when Drago framed me for Sally’s supposed assassination, but I got loose before the ship arrived. I did get here to stop a takeover and escape attempt Eggman set in motion, but I didn’t pay much attention to the layout.”

“Looks like we’ll have to scour this fortress top to bottom then,” said Knuckles. “And we better hurry, the longer we take the more damage Specter’s elementals will do to the rest of Mobius, plus we can’t be sure Robotnick will be able to hold those things off forever and then the Order will concentrate all their security on us.”

The team left the Sky Patrol and found themselves going through twisting corridors. Tails double checked his Miles Electric. “This is weird according to the map data I’m making we should have already looped back to the Sky Patrol with the turns we took.”

Mighty took a good look around. “As someone who has been in a prison before they shouldn’t be designed like this, it would not only confuse the prisoners but the guards too. It looks like Specter rearranged everything when he took over, finding Fiona and the others could be impossible.”

“Not if I zip ahead and check every room myself,” Sonic said with a thumbs up.

“No, we have to stick together,” said Sally. “If we get separated, we might never find each other again.”

After turning a corner, they found a metallic door in the wall where Gold stopped them. “Wait someone’s being held prisoner here!”

They came in and the human girl in one of the cells turned to them. “Who’s there!?”

“Princess Elise?!” Silver gasped.

The human looked confused. “You know me?”

Silver pulled the cell door from its hinges telekinetically. “It was… another timeline. All that matters now is that we’re here to stop the Order of Ixis and rescue some friends.”

“I’m still not sure how we’re going to convince them to abandon the order though,” said Julie.

“That may actually be the easy part,” said Gold. “I didn’t do this earlier because of events that had to play out, but now it should be safe for me to use my telepathy to…”

“No!” yelled Elise. “It’s not safe at all! The reason I was captured was because I found out Specter’s biggest secret, how he controls his followers, what he intends to do to the world once the elementals have spread far enough. There is a horrible truth about the origins of both you Mobians and Overlanders, one that triggers something in your DNA. Once you learn it, you’ll not only be his slaves you’ll want to be his slaves.”

“Meaning if I used my mental healing on them, I’d just be exposing myself.”

Sally raised her hand. “Wait, if that was how he controlled the wizards that attacked Angel Island then why did they forget it when he abandoned them?”

“When he did that it caused a contradiction between what they observed and what their genetics were telling them, as a defensive measure the very part of your genetic code that reacts to this knowledge wipes it clean. Since it is contextualized based on your memories to that point even the previous contradictions make sense if exposed again.”

Sally looked like the cogs in her head were turning. “Wait, Amy and the others had already left before Specter turned on their recruits. If we tell them what he did they might react in the same way, then we just have to refuse to listen to Specter and we can put a stop to his plans once and for all!”

“Sounds good,” said Sonic. “But how can we even touch Masquerade?”

“There was something about the fight you had with him before I noticed,” said Blaze. “I don’t think the second time you hit him was for show, he was focusing his attention on the portal he opened. Unless they are using a split image double, an Ixis Wizard can’t use more than one spell at a time, so he has to lower his defenses to attack.”

“Then if we wait for him to try to attack us, we can exploit that opening,” said Knuckles. “Only question now is how to find our way through this mystic maze. With elementals attacking Angel Island again along with everywhere else we’re up against the clock.”

Julie pulled out her blaster. “Then let’s go for the direct approach. I shoot and you punch until we find the bad guys.”

Knuckles smiled. “I love that about you.”

Knuckles punched a wall causing it to make several large cracks, Julie shot where Knuckles’ blow landed causing the cracks to rapidly spread throughout the room. “Ok, maybe the direct approach wasn’t the best idea,” said the cyborg echidna.

The point of impact began to collapse seeming to fall into an empty void.

“That shouldn’t be happening,” said Marine.

Tails sighed. “Now you know why I never took up magic.”

The walls, floor, bars, and all the room’s occupants soon fell into the void as began to become separated from each other. Suddenly Sonic found himself landing on a stone floor with Knuckles and a bit of the rubble of the collapsed cells. The room they were in was circular with a large door one side, carved in the middle of the floor was a triangle that was pointing away from the door with a line across the bottom.

Sonic sighed. “Something tells me if we don’t want to repeat what just happened, we should take the door out.”

Knuckles started heading to the door when the triangle glowed blue, a moment later Lucian rose up from it as if he was raising out of a pool of water.

“So, it has finally come to this,” said the Tenrec. “The door will not open as long as I oppose you.”

“Lucian cut it out!” yelled Sonic. “You barely fought before, and Knuckles and I have taken on more than you can imagine. This is all pointless anyway, Specter…”

“It doesn’t matter what you say Specter has done!” Lucian snapped as he glared back with violet eyes. “You’re in the way of our conquest of Mobius, so I’m going to remove you!”

“So that’s it, you’re just a bad guy?” said Knuckles. “You’re just working for Specter to grab power?”

“I don’t think that’s it,” said Sonic. “There’s something different about him, let’s just knock him out and settle it later after we get back with everyone else.”

“I don’t think so,” Lucian chuckled. “Even if by some chance you manage to beat me, my allies will have probably taken care of your friends.”


Sally and Julie-su drew their weapons as Geoffrey St. John came up from an upward pointing triangle with a line across it carved into floor with a gust. “Such a shame, a pair of such lovely ladies have come all the way here just to die at my hand.”

Julie took aim at the wizard. “Not going to happen Stripes.”

Sally stood between them. “Geoffrey there’s something important you have to know about…”

Geoffrey’s violet eyes were filled with indifference. “Whatever you have to say it’s not going to work, I’m not as naive as your family. I will not be denied the power I fought so long for.”

“I can’t believe the arrogance coming off this guy,” said Julie. “After everything he’s done are you sure you don’t want me to just shoot him?”

“Only to stun, even when he was against us, he never indicated it was for his own gain so something’s off here. Let’s capture him and get back to the others, then he’ll have now choice but to listen.

“Sorry, but they’ll have met their own ends by then,” said Geoffrey.


Mighty and Tails watched as Fiona rose from a blank downward pointing triangle. “Hello boys, welcome to the end of the line.”

“Fiona you have to stop this!” said Mighty. “Specter is playing you…”

Fiona laughed before gazing at the two with violet eyes. “I don’t care what Specter did and I don’t need a couple of knights in shining armor to come save me, the only thing that has ever mattered to me was power.”

“I don’t believe you,” said Tails. “You went off with Scourge for the fun of it and because you didn’t trust anyone else, personal power was never part of it. It’s got to be some other level of control the Order has over you isn’t it?”

“Believe whatever you want, it soon won’t make a difference.”

“I don’t care if it’s a spell, or forbidden knowledge or whatever!” said Mighty. “I’m going to get you back to back to the good, wonderful person I know you really are!”

Tails took a fighting stance. “They probably laid a similar trap for the others; I hope they aren’t in too much trouble.”


Marine gave the door a hard push while Silver used his helped with his telekinesis.

“It’s no use!” said Silver as he stopped short of breath. “It won’t budge!”

Marine slumped down. “We tried everything, why didn’t this room collapse like the last one?”

Gold looked at the upward pointing triangle in the center of the room. “Think this is some sort of clue?”

Blaze nodded. “It is the alchemical symbol of fire, maybe…” She used her flames on the mark to no effect. “Should have known it wouldn’t have been that easy.”

Elise looked around. “This room, it almost feels like an arena.”

“So, we’ll probably be fighting someone associated with fire,” said Silver.

Marine gasped. “Blaze that means you have to fight your…” Marine stopped when she saw Blaze putting a finger on her lips while pointing at Elise. “…that person.” The racoon the turned to Elise. “We’re sorry princess, we have another secret mission going on here. I promise we’ll explain everything soon but until then please can you not tell the others about this?”

Elise nodded.

“Silver,” said Blaze. “When the time comes focus on keeping Elise and Gold safe, you can do that better than the rest of us and…well you know this is going to be something I have to do.”

“I understand,” said Silver. “Guess for now we just have to wait.”


In the idol chamber most of the Supreme Council looked at the images Specter had shown of all four arenas. “They’ll be waiting for a while,” said Regina. “I don’t think our Heralds of Fire and Chaos are in any shape for a fight.”

“Which is why I am have an alternate plan for them,” said Specter. “Such a shame Mammoth is missing this, but then when nature calls you mortals have to answer.”

“I mean no disrespect my lord, but I do have doubts as to whether our heralds can defeat the intruders,” said Witchcart.

“They don’t need to win; the herald’s task is to simply slow the Freedom Fighters down until the proper time. After all one is crucial to the Grand Design.”

“As your new vessel?” asked Naugus. “We have noticed that Charlemagne’s health has been getting steadily worse over the past few days.”

Specter closed his eyes. “Very observant, yes this body’s task is nearly complete. I must prepare the fire chamber, but first let make the other arenas a bit more interesting.”

Specter dispelled the image of Silver and the others and focused the remaining images on the heralds before waving his hand over the images again.

“Mind Palace.”


A wave of light shot out from Lucian’s head blinding Sonic and Knuckles for a second. When the light faded, they found themselves on the seafloor. Sonic in a panic tried flutily to swim while holding his breath until his lungs forced him to gasp out.

“Uh?” Sonic looked at Knuckles surprised that he seemed to be just fine. “Hey, we can breathe down here!”

“Must another one Specter’s tricks,” said the Echidna. “Submerged like this we’re completely at Lucian’s mercy!”

“No,” Lucian said as his voice took icy tone. “You aren’t because I’m not going to have any.”

They turned to find the water and seafloor around Lucian was freezing yet he slowly walked forward as if the ice no more solid than air, freezing the water as he moved.

“Even with our children Amy will never be able to move on from the sorrow and pain you gave her, not until you’re gone.”

As Sonic and Knuckles looked on it seemed like there was some kind of shape behind the Tenrec, as shape that had pinchers open as if to take their heads.


Mighty and Tails opened their eyes, around them was what looked like a long-abandoned prison but clearly not like Devil’s Gulag.

“Where are we?” asked Tails. “And where’s Fiona for that matter?”

Mighty clenched his fist. “I think Fiona’s still close because I know where we are, this is the third time I’ve been here. It was one of Robotnick’s bases where I was held prisoner as a kid, the one where I first meet Ray and Fiona, the one me and Sonic failed to save them from, where Ray got frozen in time in a pocket dimension for five years, the one Fiona spent two years trying to escape…”

Tails flattened his ears. “Then this is where Fay was born. But why would Fiona bring us here, I can’t imagine a time in her life where she didn’t hate this place.”

“Doesn’t matter! All that matters now is that I can finally do what I failed to all those years ago!”

They heard sobbing coming from down a hallway.

“Ok, then let’s go,” said Tails. “But carefully, who knows what she has up her sleeve.”

As they went off into the base a horned figure laughed in the shadows.


When the light faded Sally and Julie-Su were standing on top of a tower under a stormy sky.

“Changing the venue is not going help you beat us,” said Julie. “This was over the moment you picked the side I was against.”

“It didn’t matter what side Geoffrey ultimately chose,” said a figure that was materializing near the edge of the rampart. “It wouldn’t change what he always was…”

Everyone turned to see a skunk with a flattop hair cut standing with his arms crossed.

Geoffrey gasped. “Father?”

Sally stood wide eyed. “How is this possible?”

To Sally and Julie there was a strange shadow near the elder skunk with leathery wings.

Ian smirked. “…a disappointment.”


The supreme council looked on at what Specter did to the arenas before he turned to Naugus. “Come on now Naugus did you really think you could hide that you possessed three of Ixis’ heralds with aspects of your own psyche?”

The mutant’s flight, fight or freeze response was stuck firmly in freeze.

“But to be here as well you must have used phylacteries to do the job, I wonder where you got those?” He now turned to the crone. “Don’t you Witchcart?”

Witchcart backed away slowly. “I-it was just to make sure that the heralds wouldn’t turn against you my lord! I swear there was nothing else to it!”

Specter suddenly burst out laughing. “If any betrayal you planned was detrimental to the Grand Design I never would have recruited any of you in the first place! I am not angry, because in a very short time you will see that any plot to seize power from me is completely unnecessary. Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to get set up the challenge of the fire arena for our guests.”

Once specter left the room Regina touched her pointer and forefinger to her forehead. “Mammoth, Specter’s on to our sleeper agents so we have to go with the backup plan. He intends to possess one of the Freedom Fighters attacking the temple, where are you?”


Mammoth came out from behind a door after he saw Specter pass then put his fingers on his forehead. “Hiding your boyfriend for the backup plan. I already cast the invisibility spell on that cloak you gave him and we’re on our way.”

As Mammoth started moving Snively spoke up. “I just hope we can do this before Doctor Robotnick can get past those elementals and blow us to kingdom come. By the way what was with that detour you made to the nursery? I saw you cast some sort of spell on those rugrats telling the mothers it was a part of a checkup, but spell didn’t do anything.”

“The spell hasn’t done anything yet, consider it the backup to the backup, do your job well and you won’t have to worry about the infants.” Mammoth then smirked to himself. “Even if Specter does manage to carry out whatever he plans I’ll be prepared.”


Amy and Hershey were both taking a much-needed nap since all three babies were deep into dream land themselves.

“It may take a couple hundred years but if Specter plans to make generations of ‘heroes’ be sworn to him I’ll just raise some of my own and deprive him of future pawns in a single stroke.”

No one was awake to see a small glow come off the children for a second before fading altogether.

“I never had to lower myself to abducting defenseless children before but this will ensure Specter’s defeat as well as ensure loyal allies once Sonic is out of the way so that I will rule, for the good of Mobius.”

Chapter 21: Mind Gaming the System

Summary:

The Freedom Fighters confront the elite of the Order of Ixis, Sonic's friends try to hold on as the Elemental War rages and Specter prepares the most dangerous obstacle yet.

Chapter Text

Sonic and Knuckles stared down Lucian as a great cold began freezing the sea floor around them as frost began to hang off him. Sonic raised his hand towards the Tenrec. “Lucian, I don’t know what’s going on with you but if you could just chill for…”

“Frost lance!”

Sonic quickly ducked as an icicle like spear passed where his head was a split second ago.

“Ok bad choice of words, guess I better knock some sense into you!”

He ran toward the Wizard only to leap back as after brushing the arctic barrier. His hand was covered in frost.

“AH! Man, that’s cold! How can he stay in there?!”

Lucian chuckled as the pincered shadow loomed over him. “To get Amy to move on, to free her from the shackles you placed on her heart, I made mine as cold as ice. No mercy, no pity, all I have for you is a frozen tomb.”

Knuckles clenched his fist as it started to spark. “Let’s see you freeze this! Thunder…!”

Sonic grabbed the fist and pushed it down. “We might be able to breathe down here but we’re still underwater! Zap him and you might fry us as too!”

“We can’t get near him, I can’t blast him, I don’t suppose you have an idea on how we CAN beat him?”

“Just one,” a disc like vortex formed in Sonic’s hand. “SONIC WIND!”

Lucian formed an icicle like sword in his hand before cutting the disc in half. “Your cheap tricks won’t work on me.”

“Cheap?! I worked hard to do that as easily as Knuckles and Shadow!”

Lucian’s eyes had an aqua glow to them. “You forget, I can see the near future so whatever plan you come up with I’ll know and can counter.”

“Sonic we need to fall back for now!” said Knuckles. “Think up a plan to get through that blizzard!”

The two ran but got only so far when the water seemed as solid as a wall. “So, any ideas?” asked Sonic.

Knuckles closed his eyes. “Just the beginnings of one, you noticed that weird shadow over Lucian?”

“Now that you mention it yeah.”

“I sensed some strange vibes from it, like it was a whole other presence.”

“That necklace he was wearing, Fiona had one like it and Chip said she was acting strange since around the time Silver said she got it.”

“Then getting it away from him is the start, question is how can we do that if he can see the future?”

“Well, using that power blinds him to his immediate surroundings, but if he knows we’re coming anyway…” Sonic then snapped his fingers. “I have a plan and it involves you and a move I used on Robuttnick’s toys back in the day.”


 

Before Sally and Julie-su could even begin fighting with Geoffrey they all stared at the flat-topped Skunk who appeared out of nowhere.

“Disappointment?” Geoffrey asked. “Father, if you mean the pact that I made with Naugus I…”

“Weren’t you listening!?” the older Skunk said harshly. “It has nothing to do with your loyalty to one side or another, good guys or bad you would still be a pathetic loser.”

“Mind filling me in on who this heckler is?” Julie asked Sally. “I get he’s Geoff’s dad, but the put downs are getting on my nerves.”

Sally approached the skunk cautiously. “You can’t be Ian St. John, he died in the Great War when I was just a baby while he was getting my mother and brother to Angel Island safely.”

“Yes, I am a dead man,” said Ian. “But me dying was more of an accomplishment than my worthless son could ever hope for.”

“I’ll prove my worth!” shouted Geoffrey. “If the Princess stands in the way of Ixis, I will hold her off until his will is done, even if I have to take her life!”

“You first!” Julie shouted before firing a stun blast.

“Shadow mist!”

Geoffrey’s body became a black mist-like and the shot passed harmlessly through him before he reformed.

Ian chuckled. “You can try but it will go the same way as everything else in your life has when it really mattered. A woman married you out of pity and you knocked her up like any man with a pulse can do, everything else ended the same way.”

“Wind cutter!”

The blade of wind shot forward only Sally to block it with her ring blade.

“…You tried to be a suitable apprentice to Naugus, you failed…”

“Lightning flash!”

The lightning bolt shot from Geoffrey’s hand and was cancelled out by another of Julie’s blasts.”

“…You hid in the shadows looking for a way to stop Robotnick, you failed…”

Geoffrey threw a punch when Sally came close, only for her to counter with a kick to the ribs that sent him near the edge of the tower and the seemingly endless sky below.

“…You tried to keep a team together, you failed…”

Sally tried to grab Geoffrey, but he fell past the edge but the landed on one of several platforms like the tower that moved along with the winds. Ian leapt after him as Sally and Julie saw a pair of shadowy wings attached to his arms.

“…you keep trying to be worth something to anyone and you just keep failing!”

Geoffrey was now crying. “I only wanted to be a man you’d be proud of, a man my wife and daughter can count on.”

Ian stretched out his hand. “You did your best, but you always lacked the ability to back up your effort. Why don’t you let go? Your father will take things from here and you’ll never have to worry about disappointing anyone ever again.”

Geoffrey reached up to take his father’s hand, one of Julie’s blasts came between them.

“Your son’s not getting off the hook that easy! We need him to lose so we can get back to our friends!”

Gritting his teeth Geoffrey created a gust of wind that began to propel him back to the tower.

Ian snarled under his breath. “Annoying pests, looks like I’ll have to get rid of them first.”

Geoffrey landed on the other side of the tower from the girls, wind howling around him.

“We have to change up our tactics,” said Sally. “I don’t know who that guy is, but I’d bet Mobiums to Macaroni that isn’t Geoffrey’s father. Something changed the moment we got here, maybe we can get him to listen once he’s subdued enough.”

“You still think there’s something worth saving in him?” said Julie-su.

“After what I’ve been through over a last year or so, if they can open their hearts to forgive and be forgiven, there’s something worth saving in everyone.”

Julie gave a thumbs up. “If that’s what you think, then that’s all I that I need.”


Tails and Mighty continued to follow the sounds of sobbing through the abandoned base. “The way the sound echoes through here I can’t tell if we’re getting closer or not,” said the Fox. “Not only that something about this architecture feels off.”

“I think I get what you mean,” said Mighty. “Everything in here is bigger, the proportions are like everything would be the same relative size to me to back when I was a prisoner.”

“Back when Fiona was prisoner, I don’t think we’re in that base, this has all been recreated from her mind. Let’s hope she doesn’t feel nostalgic for Scourge or we’ll have a real fight on our hands.”

Mighty pounded his fist into his palm. “Let him come, if he’s standing between me and rescuing Fiona all the…”

Suddenly the floor beneath them jostled. Tails grabbed Mighty by the wrist and flew off only for the floor to quickly rise to the ceiling managing to fly off before they were flattened.

“I don’t remember the place being able to do that!”

The walls began move together and Tails flew off with Mighty, every few feet the walls ceiling and floor moved to crush them like grapes.

“Either Fiona’s really doesn’t want visitors or something else is trying stop us!”

“I have a feeling that something starts with an S and ends with a pecter!”

The duo continued to avoid the crushing pillars. At one point Mighty let go of Tails to push a falling roof back up before they flew off again.

“Make a left!” said Mighty. “The crying’s louder, we’re almost there!”

Tails found an open door and flew in just before the floor and ceiling crushed themselves together sealing both heroes inside. The sudden turn knocked them both to the floor, they looked up to see Fiona sitting against a wall her knees up to her chest, tail curled around her ankles and her eyes red with tears.

“Fiona it’s ok!” said Tails. “Whatever happened to you we’re willing to help with it if you’d listen to what we have to say about Specter.”

“It was mistake,” said the red vixen. “This is where I belong.”

“No, it isn’t!” said Mighty. “Yes, you made some bad choices, but you did a lot of good too!”

Tails lifted his cousin’s chin. “That time you slapped me, joining Scourge, that’s all in the past! Sonic, Aunt Sally, your parents, me, we’ve all forgiven you! You don’t need to…”

Suddenly the dirt floor pushed the boys into the opposite wall as Fiona threw her arm forward.

“Those weren’t my mistake!” said Fiona. “At least not the big one, the one mistake that led to all the rest.”

Mighty struggled against the dirt that just kept piling on. “Fiona what are you talking about?”

“I wanted to leave here so badly, I hated you and Sonic for leaving me behind. But once I was out the cruelty didn’t stop, but instead of just Robotnick it was everyone. Most just hid it behind smiles and honeyed words or never realized how cruel they were, how cruel Mobius itself is. What I escaped to was worse than what I spent two long years escaping from, so it wasn’t an escape at all.”

Fiona looked up; despite her tears her expression was joyful. Tails and Mighty saw a horned shadow looming over her.

“Now I understand, these walls protected me, kept as much of the cruelty of the world outside as they could. I never would have become the horrible person I am if I saw that. I never should have left, the one mistake that lead to everything else was trying to escape in the first place, I don’t want to leave, I never deserved to leave.”


“You can’t avoid me forever!” Lucian shouted. “Come out and meet your fate!”

Sonic ran had suddenly run in behind him and shot forward. Lucian’s eyes glowed aqua for a second before turning and swinging his ice sword at the frost covered Freedom Fighter. Sonic leapt out of the cold area and began quickly rubbing himself to warm up.

“You really think a head on attack would work?”

Sonic smiled back. “Just checking that you’re paying attention. Now let’s see you handle this!”

Sonic began running in a circle outside the blizzard. Lucian’s eyes glowed and he had a vision of the ground beneath him breaking.

“One your oldest moves, wear down the ground around me till I’m left with just a weak pillar that will cave in and bury me. Sorry but following your adventures gave me the best counter move!”

Lucian jumped in the air and in response Sonic smirked. “Gotcha.”

The tenrec suddenly found himself being lifted higher by a tornado that was squeezing the blizzard into a tight area. Suddenly the ground burst beneath him as Knuckles burst from the ground and was using the earth he was displacing as a shield from the cold.

“You used my vision and expectations to throw me off while the Echidna attacked from below?!”

“You were so busy trying to get me you forgot all about Knuckles!” said Sonic. “That’s a mistake nobody ever gets a second chance to make!”

Knuckles roared as he punched through the frozen rock knocking Lucian to the ground, breaking his ice sword and sending his pendant skidding a few feet away from him. The Tenrec tried to get up.

“No, I can’t fail. I made my heart frozen for her, to do what I have to free her from the past.”

“It’s not about the past, it’s about the future,” said Knuckles. “If you go through with this, you’ll destroy two people Amy cares about, her hero and the kindhearted man she loves. Would becoming a cold-blooded killer really make her happy? Or would she just become afraid of you, of what you might do to her?”

Lucian suddenly began trembling. “Amy, the twins, I would never…”

“Then prove it,” asked Sonic. “Let us see them, then we can all go home. I want Amy to be happy too and the way you’ve always been there for her proves to me that you can do that.”

“Even if you refused to listen to Lord Specter?”

“Specter didn’t even try to convince us. Instead he opted to sic the elementals on both us and your recruits then drop Angel Island on Freedom City.”

Lucian got up. “It’s a trick, you’re just trying to…”

“Beat you so we could move on?” said Knuckles. “We had the perfect opportunity just now but instead we’re having a chat and giving you a chance to recover. We’re putting ourselves at a disadvantage because we know you aren’t really the villain here. Specter is just using you as a pawn, is that the kind of life you want for kids?!”

“But Ixis showed us…” The tenrec looked confused. “…showed us…what did he show us? I…I can’t remember.”

“Hold onto that,” said Sonic. “Whatever you were told, true or not, that was how Specter controlled you. Elise told us that if you listen to that again you’ll just end up right back here.”

“But if it is true…”

“If Ixis is going to this length to make it work maybe it’s something we’re safer not knowing.”

Lucian then extended a hand to Sonic. “Ok I’ll let you through, even if the reasons I had made sense to me if Ixis and Specter are hiding something else then I wasn’t given the whole story.”

“And what if your bosses say no to that?” asked Knuckles.

“The magic was bound to me as soon as I entered, the door should appear…” nothing happened. “Why isn’t it working?”

“Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh…” The trio turned to the laughter and found bubbles swirling around the fallen pendant. “Fool, I was the one in control when we entered this room! I am the one who says who gets to leave!”

The bubbles then lifted the pendant up and formed together to become a mobian lobster.

“Alright crab cake!” yelled Knuckles. “Who are you?!”

“I am Ixis Suguna, the master of water and one of the Ixis triumvirate, or I was until I inadvertently merged with my compatriots to form Ixis Naugus.”

Lucian began shaking. “Your voice, why does it feel familiar?”

“Because I was in control of since you put on that pendant, just as the others two members of the triumvirate possessed your other friends. My plan was to have your wife hate you after murdering the hedgehog so ruthlessly breaking your mind to the point I controlled you completely, but since I can manifest myself in this space and that plan failed I’ll just have to destroy you all then your body serve me and me alone!”

“Wrong!” said Sonic. “The only thing being served here is us serving you an extra-large butt kicking with melted butter! Now it’s three on one!”

“Oh, but I have something much more effective that a little snowstorm. Especially since we’re completely underwater! Crimson Flood!”

The water around Saguna began turning red, rocks and coral it was touching began to melt away.

“Not good! I saw this acid move during Naugus and Charlemange’s duel, only we don’t have nearly enough of the stuff he used to beat it!”

Lucian formed a dome like bubble around them. “Ice Coffin!” The bubble froze over, but the ice began to slowly hiss. “Acid is harder to freeze than water, I won’t be able to hold it back forever!”

Knuckles growled. “Then we better think of a plan before they’ll need to carry out what’s left of us in buckets!”


Back at the tower Geoffrey formed a tornado around himself. “Why didn’t I see it before? Father, the kingdom, Naugus, none of you trusted me; the only person’s trust I ever really had was Hershey’s. Why should I have given anyone my loyalty when all they ever did was doubt it? I’ll win this battle just to prove my father wrong and then nothing will stop the children of Ixis from basking in the Great Illumination.”

“Except that Specter betrayed you all,” said Sally. “The moment you left to help Hershey give birth he turned the elementals against the people you brought to Angel Island to help you.”

“You’re just trying to confuse me!” Geoffrey charged bringing his tornado with him. “Why should I trust you when you’ve always doubted me?!”

After nodding to each other Sally charged while Julie fired a blast above Geoffrey by the time Sally reached her the tornado had dissipated.

“HOW?!”

Sally knocked Geoffrey to the floor holding her ring blade to his throat after cutting the pendant off his neck. “Julie heated the air above you enough that there wasn’t enough cold air to lift the humid air you were circulating. I knew she was smart enough to know how to stop your cyclone, so I didn’t even need to utter a word to her.”

Geoffrey laughed. “You really trust her, a trust I never had a shot at earning. So, what are you waiting for?! Finish me off, the only way you’ll go forward is take me away from my daughter the same way my father was taken away from me making her bitter and beginning this whole song and dance all over again!”

“Don’t flatter yourself,” said Julie-su. “Sally refused to kill some of the worst monsters this planet has ever seen. You think she would lower herself over a smug, arrogant, coward like you?”

“She’s right, you’re egotistical, deceitful and often overconfident,” Sally sighed. “But I have my own share of faults, I can be bossy, self-righteous and on occasion even a little neurotic. You did lose my trust, but that couldn’t have happened if I never trusted you at all. You know my family, our trust isn’t won it’s given, probably more easily than it should be, but we want to believe in the best in people. I can’t remember if it was only because at the time I didn’t want to risk the friendship I had with Sonic or not, but I trusted you with my first truly romantic kiss, so please trust me. I know you regret what you did, so Specter is the only traitor I’m concerned with.”

“But he is Ixis’ chosen messenger, why would he do that when…I can’t remember what Ixis had shown me.”

“That’s probably a good thing,” said Julie. “Now open the way out of here and Sally can put the sharp object away from your neck.”

“I always knew you were worthless,” Ian St. John suddenly landed on the platform. He levitated the pendant around his neck mending it back together before becoming a mobian bat with wings on his arms. “But failing to lose your sense of self-worth because you were too busy having your tail handed back to you by an ex-girlfriend and a half machine amazon is a whole new level of pathetic! What Naugus ever saw in you I’ll never know!”

Sally moved off Geoffrey as she and Julie pointed their weapons at the bat, the Skunk got back on his feet. “Be careful! This is Nusgau, one of the splinter personalities Naugus had me help him control!”

“And outside this mental space I control your body. Which means when it comes to allowing you to leave, he’s just as useless to you as everyone else!”

“Really?” asked Julie-su. “All I’ve seen you do is berate the guy, it’s hard for me to think he’s the useless one when you haven’t actually done anything!”

“You made a mockery of my father’s memory!” shouted Geoffrey. “You wore his face and spewed lies from his mouth to have me abandon being part of my family’s life?! He was a brave, loving and noble man, even being sprayed by him is an honor you could never deserve!”

“Don’t lose your cool!” said Sally. “Who knows what tricks he has up his wing?!”

“Unlike Naugus I’m not messing around!” shouted Nusgau. “I’ll just finish you all off from the start with my strongest spell! Final Tempest!”

The sky changed into a massive lightning storm that began tearing apart the tower and the surrounding platforms sending some debris tumbling into the abyss below while the rest began to be hurled around the howling winds.

“Last time I saw this it was going to tear a whole stadium apart!” said Sally. “We need to take this guy down and fast!”


As Mighty struggled against the dirt that held him and Tails against the cell wall the latter spoke to his cousin.

“Fiona this is crazy! If you stayed you would have eventually died and Nic might have been killed by this base’s defenses!”

“That would have been a kindness, then she wouldn’t have felt the need to betray me when I began to abandon her. I wouldn’t have led her into whatever lie Ixis told me and nearly gotten her killed again!”

“Wait you knew about that?” asked Mighty. “You knew what Specter did on Angel Island?”

“It just came to me shortly after the others had their children. I still can’t figure out why I joined the Order. Tails, Mighty, you should just forget about me, I don’t deserve family or love.”

“But you already expressed remorse for your crimes, you repented by helping people and earned the forgiveness of those you hurt, why do this to yourself?”

“Because instead of going to Sally and the others for help after nearly causing so much death I came back here, where I belong. I’m a selfish coward unable to look those I care about in the eye unless they come for me.”

“But that doesn’t make sense,” said Tails. “You confronted us at the Temple of Ixis, then we were sent here. Something else is going on, we have to get out of here and back to the others.” Tails turned to the Vixen. “Fiona, I think I get what’s wrong, even though everybody else came to forgive you and were willing to move on you never forgave yourself. Yeah you were pretty rotten, but you shouldn’t let what you did with Scourge define the rest of your life. It’s time to stop punishing yourself.”

Suddenly the dirt began covering his and Mighty’s mouths.

“Ignore them, little shale,” rumbled a voice that seemed to come off the walls. “You know deep down no one ever truly forgives, after all you can’t count on anyone, especially yourself. Your attempts to ‘go straight’ were to either avoid the consequences of your criminal acts or to ease your own guilt.”

Fiona broke down in tears. “It’s true! I’m a monster!”

“A monster? That’s giving yourself too much credit. You were never a Freedom Fighter or a criminal, those were simply masks to hide from the world you that are as you always were, a frightened little girl too weak and too useless to amount to anything.”

“Everything was hopeless, why did I even bother trying!?”

Mighty managed to claw the dirt from his mouth. “Don’t listen to this creep, this has to be another way Specter is keeping you under his thumb!”

A rhinoceros mobian seemed to emerge from the wall until everything above his stomach was hanging out of it. He wore the pendant that they only noticed now wasn’t on Fiona when they found her. “I am not Specter’s pawn you little cretins, Agunus of the Ixis Triumverate is his own master.”

Tails spun his namesakes breaking him and Mighty out of the dirt trap. “Why are you trashing my cousin?! Fiona get away from him!”

Agunus laughed. “Don’t bother trying to reach the little shale. I’ve spent days tearing down her psyche making my control over her body absolute, she will only listen to me now.”

“I’ll make sure she doesn’t listen to you,” Mighty growled while clenching a fist. “Once I shut that fat mouth of yours!”

“You think it will be that easy?” Agunus sunk back into the wall. “This place was built from the shale’s mind; I can control it as easily as I can her body outside of here!”

The wall then formed a hand that quickly pulled Fiona into it. Mighty punched the wall breaking it halfway it only for more bricks to come in and cover the hole.

“I practically AM her mind now! I am everywhere! I am everything!”

The room began shifting and shrinking, Tails grabbed the Armadillo and flew out the one window when its bars broke under the strain. Instead of the forest Mighty remembered the prison seemed to be in the middle of a cavern, the base they fled from crumbled but reformed itself into a giant golem with a rhino’s head.

“You want to save your friend? Then come, break yourselves upon my stone!”

“Wrong gravel face!” shouted Mighty. “The only one who’s breaking is you!”

“Yeah!” said Tails. “The bigger they are the harder they…”

Agunus tried to punch the two who just barely avoided being crushed and the ensuing fissures that spread from the point of impact.

“…can flatten us like pancakes!”


“Ugh, my head,” Rotor began to sit up, vision blurred and ears ringing. “Where am I?”

He felt a hand on his chest as the ringing began to diminish. “Take it easy baby, that stone monster hit you pretty hard.”

Rotor’s vision began to clear, he was in an indoor ice rink with the walls made of ice as well. He saw two walruses, an older woman with a old fashioned bonnet and a boy who looked like he just hit his teen years that had a pair of snow goggles on his forehead instead of the propeller beanie he used to wear. Soon he noticed several other walruses and the Artic Freedom Fighters were turning to his direction.

“Mom, Skeeter?”

“Yeah, you made it bro,” said Skeeter. “How do you feel?”

As Rotor rubbed his head he sighed. “Crummy, that knock to the head made me realize I was under a magic spell and that was why I decided to leave my friends behind.”

“Well we got good news to cheer you up,” said Augustus. “But we got bad news too. Good news is those elemental freaks wrecked the bots occupying Icebrough, bad news they took over and captured us and practically the entire Walrus Herd.”

Guntiver helped Rotor to his feet. “But we’re watching and the moment they give us an opportunity we’re busting out of here!”

“Good cause I have feeling that my team is going to need me,” Rotor turned to his fiancée teary eyed. “I’m sorry Sealia, I know I said I was going to stay with up here you, but I’ve been through too much with my friends to leave them hanging.”

Sealia cupped Rotor’s check. “It ez ok my cheri, I will go with you.”

“I could never make you leave your team in a lurch.”

“Non, before you came Flip and I ‘ad an idea. One ze rest had already thought about since after the Phantom Ruby War. A way for me to go with you and still keep the team strong.”

“What do you mean?”

Flip crossed his arms. “Well after we were brainboxed Skeeter here really pulled his weight evacuating as many of the herd as he could. After the war he’s helped us on and off and he really came along, we were all impressed.” The Penguin then turned to the younger walrus. “What do you say kid, ready to become an official Artic Freedom Fighter?”

Skeeter jumped. “A chance to be a hero like Dad and Rotor!? Heck yeah!” He then looked embarrassed and turned to Georgette. “Uh, that is if it’s ok with you Mom.”

The matronly walrus pulled Rotor and Skeeter into a hug. “You two are definitely your father’s sons, if he could see you now, he’d just as proud as I am. Skeeter, you have my blessing.”

Rotor looked at Skeeter proudly. “I can’t thank you enough Skeet, now we can get married without worrying about either team being worse off for it. I promise, we’ll be by so often you’ll think we live here.”

“Well you have to get out of here in the first place,” said Guntiver. “Sadly, getting away from these magical mooks is easier said than done.”

“If those goons weren’t keeping a constant watch, I’d try using my invisibility power to get help,” said Erma. “But other than keeping us here they aren’t doing anything. Once they captured everyone most just stopped and the few that didn’t seem to be sweeping the area for stragglers.”

“Zhen it looks like all we can do is wait,” said Sealia. “I hope someone can be able to stop all these things.”

Rotor took Sealia’s hands. “Don’t worry, Sonic and I have been friends since we were kids and if I know one thing about him is that when there’s big trouble, he’ll be right where he can do the most damage.”


In the acidic ocean Suguna laughed. “It won’t be long now. But do me a favor, once that acid eats through the ice try not to have a ‘meltdown’! Hahaha!”

Sonic looked around for a way out and noticed the shape of the dome. “Hey Lucian, how long can you hold this up?!”

The tenrec grunted. “The acid is eating the dome faster than I can freeze what water’s left so maybe a minute.”

“More than enough, once I make my move exhale! You’ll know where to run!”

Sonic boosted up the wall and began running around the icy surface of the dome.

“What is he…”

“Just do as he says,” said Knuckles. “I don’t know either, but his crazy ideas usually work!”

Sonic continued to run around the dome until it began turning red and hissing, then he made a sharp turn back to the ground and past his friends straight to the wall.

Outside Suguna grinned wickedly. “Now serving tonight’s special, hero soup.”

Suddenly the melting dome shattered on one side as Sonic burst out his speed pushing the water around him out of the way creating a vacuum that Knuckles and Lucian were running though while exhaling.

“WHAT?!!”

The next thing Suguna knew Sonic had slammed right into the wizard causing the pendant to crack.


As the storm raged the lightning was breaking more of the tower apart. Geoffrey stepped near the edge and produced his own gusts to keep the Nusgau’s winds from blowing them away. “Just wait until I can go on offense! You’ll pay for using my father’s memory to…”

A bolt of lightning caused the edge Geoffrey was standing on to collapse. Suddenly he felt someone grab his wrist and looked up to find Sally had jumped off, grabbed him and was now digging the ring blade of her free hand into the remaining wall of the tower.

“Why would you do this?!” yelled Geoffrey. “You could get yourself killed, what about your mission?!”

“Getting my friends home safely is always part of that mission! Freedom Fighters don’t leave their own behind, you might not have done things our way, but you shared our cause, so we’re all getting out of this together!”

“A nice sentiment,” Nusgau said as he began to swoop down bringing wind and lightning with him. “But all you did was make it easier for me to take you both out at once!”

Nusgau flew in bring the full force of the tempest with him. Suddenly Julie-su dropped between him and his targets aiming her blaster at him.

“Remember me?”

As she fell Julie pulled the trigger and scored a direct hit on Nusgau’s pendant.


Tails and Mighty felt like insects as they flew and climbed around Agunus’ body trying to hit any kind of weak point. “You may as well be crushed already! Like the little shale your fate’s carved in stone!”

“Fiona, I know you’re in there!” Yelled Mighty. “You have to let go of the guilt, I know how comforting it can seem, it’s there to us push back on the right path! But you’re on it already, the job’s done and taking it that far will hurt you and those you care about! Now I see you never needed me to save you only can do that, not from this brute but from the darkness you trapped yourself in because you feel you deserve it when you don’t anymore!”

Agunus chuckled. “You think that weak little girl will make any difference!? She might as well not even exist for the…” Suddenly the golem’s face was grabbed by giant hand made of lava. “ARGH!” Agunus pulled the hand off but it left a clear mark on his stone face. “Who did that?!”

The three looked to a rock ledge where they saw Fiona standing there wearing the same clothes and hairstyle she did when she ran with Scourge, her hand was glowing red.

“This could be bad,” said Tails.

“Bad for the shale!” said Agunus. “I don’t know how you got out, but I’ll crush you like…!”

Suddenly a large wind filled with sand hit Agunus from the other side. On an opposite ledge was another Fiona, this one looked as she did when she was with the Freedom Fighters sand blowing round her.

“How is she doing that?” asked Mighty. “I thought she couldn’t use that Split Image spell.”

“First you can suddenly use fire, now wind?! I don’t care how many of you there I’ll make mincemeat out of you!”

The giant tripped and fell as his feet began to sink into a muddy swamp that formed under him. Nearby his nose was a small girl who looked familiar to the other two. For Tails she resembled Auto Fiona when they first meet to Mighty the girl he knew from the prison a trail of mud coming from her feet.

“Water too?! Just how many of you are there?!”

“Just one,” Fiona said as she broke out of the Golem’s horn. “But they’re all me! This place is formed from my mind so I’m stronger here than anywhere else!”

“But you’re attuned to earth, how can you command all the elements?!”

“You’re right I am attuned to earth, but lava, sand and mud are earth too; it isn’t just cold, unyielding stone! Just like Tails and Mighty have now made realize I am not just one thing!”

The other Fionas came close and merged with the one who came from the horn. “I am a traitor and a Freedom Fighter and a scared little girl, but most of all I am done rejecting parts of my past just because I don’t happen to like it at the time! Everything I did, good or bad, is part of who I am!”

“Yeah you tell him cous!” shouted Tails.

“Let’s finish this horny blowhard!” cheered Mighty.

“Be as many of you as you want!” Agunus roared as he got back up on his feet. “I’ll break you all the same little shale!”

“I know how you see me but I now I know what I am and it’s not shale! I’m hard but I’m not cold granite, I’m beautifully cut but I’m not delicate marble!”

With a gesture Fiona conjured a giant gemstone above Agunus’ head.

“What I am is a diamond!”

The diamond began to fall on the golem, but he reached above his head and grabbed the gemstone as he struggled to keep it off him. “No! I am one of the Ixis triumvirate! It’ll take more a shiny rock to beat me!”

“Too bad for you then you’re dealing with more than that!” said Tails.

The fox threw Mighty to a stalactite on the ceiling before grabbing the diamond and using his flying speed to quickly turn the gem which began to slowly grind the golem’s hands.

Mighty then leapt to the top of the diamond curling up into a ball as he fell.

“HAMMER DROP!”

The armadillo slammed into the gem at full force turning the spinning gem into a giant drill that bore into the stone rhino until it hit the pendant buried in its heart.


“Geeeaaah!!!”

“Reeeeekk!!!”

“Rrrrraggh!!!”

As the pendants broke apart three white tattered wispy forms shot out of them and flew through the temple until they came into the idol chamber where they slammed into Naugus’ head.

“ARRRGGGGH!”

The mutant collapsed into a heap just as Mammoth Mogul and Snively entered the room.

“What the heck was that?!” asked the lackey.

Witchcart looked over Naugus. “Well since their phylacteries were destroyed the parts of Naugus’ psyche that used them were damaged to the point where they were forced to fully reintegrate with Naugus so they could survive, albeit only as parts of his personality. Naugus should wake up in fifteen minutes to a half hour.”

“By then our plan to take over will fail because the do-gooders will be hauling all of us to prison!” said Regina. “One we don’t control!”

“They still need to break the fire seal,” said Mammoth. “And the battle there hasn’t even started yet.”

“If Specter can just hold them there why risk his Elite at all?” asked Snively.

“I don’t know, but whatever it is he is hiding it for a reason.”


It wasn’t easy for Lupe to be the high chief of the Wolf Pack nation, particularly today as she now felt pulled in two different directions as chief and mother. But now she looked upon her children in the hidden “Den” under the village and gave them an order as mother and chief.

“No buts! As soon as your father says it is clear I want you four to head out the secret exit and hide in the jungle until help arrives!”

“We already did that!” said Ariel. “We took the Ancient Onyx and not only kept it safe we helped save you and Dad from the brainboxes! Athena, Maria, Marcos and I proved we can be Freedom Fighters too and we want to fight with you!”

“Mother please,” said Maria. “We were separated from each other so many times, we just don’t want it to happen again.”

Lupe sighed. “How everything you say be right but still feel wrong? That’s something I always hated about all this war, my generation had to grow up too fast and now yours is too.”

Lobo was peering through a parascope when he turned to his wife. “Lupe, Kids I don’t want to interrupt but Reynard and Diablo are coming in through the jungle entrance and they have company!”

The chief turned to children again. “Help Reynard, you might just get your wish after all.”

The kids escorted a brown wolf wearing a green vest who gave Lupe a quick salute. “Chief Lupe we managed to recover a Freedom Fighter team doing recon work on Robotnick Ascendency forces moving on Station Square when these elementals attacked everyone, they brought two of own with them.”

“Thank you, Reynard,” said Lupe. “Bring the rest in.”

Next came a brown wolf in a blue vest followed by Elias, Larry, Lyco, Leeta and finally Shard who was helping Nicole as she hopped on one foot as she leaned on him.

“Do you have a first aid kit?” asked Shard. “Nicole twisted her ankle while we were running from those things.”

Lobo turned to Marcos. “Son get the bandages and wrap up her ankle, the kit is next to the rations. Athena see if have any ice left in the kitchen to keep down the swelling.”

“Yes Dad,” said Marcos as Athena nodded.

Nicole groaned as the kids treated her. “I turned against Sally because of a magic spell, again. I have to go back, she’ll need…Argh!”

“Easy,” said Shard. “That was a nasty tumble you took back there; you’re going to have to stay off that foot for a couple of weeks for it to heal properly. Not like it used to be and you’d just need to replace code, or I’d have some repair work done.”

“If only the Order of Ixis had systems I could hack into, then I wouldn’t feel so useless right now.”

“Well you’re not alone, since these things just reform we’re all useless until someone can take out the Order itself.”

Lupe gave a short bow to Elias. “Thank you looking after Lyco and Leeta these past few months, they are dearly missed here.”

“No need to thank me,” said Elias. “They saved my tail so much that it’s practically their property.”

“Still I hope once this is over, they can stay with us for a while.”

Elias noticed Lyco was smiling more than usual while Reynard returned the favor. He also saw Leeta and Diablo were exchanging similar smiles. “Something tells me they’d like that.”

“All the more reason to find a way to force the elementals from our homes. I don’t suppose your intelligence network found some sort of weakness they have.”

“It was hard enough just getting away from them after our plane crashed, but before that happened, we heard from Freedom City that Sonic and Sally were leading an attack on the Order’s base. We just have to hold out until they can complete their mission.”

“Slight problem with that boss,” Larry said as the ground near the rear exit started to shake. “Call it my bad luck but I think we’ve been found!”

An Iblis Worm burst out of the ground cutting off their escape.

“Since we can’t run, we fight!” said Elias as he drew out a pair of knuckle like daggers.

“Everyone, make your way to the village and try to get as many civilians away as you can!”

At that moment, the door leading up to the chief’s hut was blown open. Then a creature that looked like a wizard made of stone floated down hold staff that was charged with dark energy.

“Looks like this is where we’re making our final stand,” said Lupe as she brandished a spear. “But with my family, good friends and honored allies by my side even if we can’t win, I can’t think of anyone I’d rather be with.”

Nicole looked down at her hand as Shard stood between her and the elementals coming into the room. “All we can really do is put our faith in Sally and the others. Sally wherever you are we know we can count you.”


Sally turned the corner of the hallway as Geoffrey and Julie-su followed her. The moment the pendant broke they all found themselves back in the arena with the door already open and despite Geoffrey trying to guide them it seemed like the temple kept changing the hallways to keep them lost.

“But how did you know destroying the pendant would keep you from falling forever or whatever would happen down there?” Geoffrey asked Julie-su.

“That was a guess on my part but since the alternative was having you two take the fall and then face the wingnut alone, I figured I didn’t really have anything to lose.”

“Hey Sal!” Sonic, Knuckles and Lucian came around a corner. “Glad to see you’re ok, I take it that Stinky here was possessed too and you had to fight the one doing it in a weird mindscape?”

“Yes,” said Sally. “Specter is not messing around if he’s willing to go this far.”

“No kidding,” said Tails as his group came from another hallway. “I think I got dirt in places I didn’t even know I had.”

Sonic smiled. “Alright, looks like we’re three for five when it comes breaking Masquerade’s brainwashing! What do you want to bet the rest of the team will be coming by with Amy and Hershey in a few seconds?”

Geoffrey sighed. “They wouldn’t be part of the defenses now. The Superior Council designed the elemental trials around four of us under Specter’s orders, but Hershey gave birth less than a day ago, she’s in no condition to be part of the fire trial.”

“So what?” asked Knuckles. “Silver, Blaze, Gold, Marine, and the Princess are just stuck there?”

Lucian looked like he just had a headache. “Silver? Gold?”

“Blaze?” Geoffrey asked as he and Fiona did the same.

“Something wrong?” asked Sally.

Fiona gasped as it seemed like the headache passed. “We have to get to fire chamber, now!”

“Follow us!” said Geoffrey as they moved on. “The fire trial has to cleared before the central chamber can be reached again anyway, as long as we keep going we’re bound to get there sometime!”

“What’s going on?!” asked Mighty as they tried to keep pace.

“No time to explain!” said Lucian. “I just hope Specter hasn’t found a substitute already!”

Sonic began to get a bad feeling in the pit of his stomach.


Marine growled as she switched her gaze between the stone door and the upward pointing triangle. “Ugh, we’ve been waiting forever! When will they open up or send someone to fight or something?!”

“Try to control yourself Marine,” said Blaze. “I know you’re not as mature as your body would tell but you have to be patient. If we are facing someone using fire your water powers are our best bet.”

“Actually, I’m with Marine,” Silver grumbled. “The longer we’re in here the longer we’re not protecting Sonic. If we lose the chance to save the future because we got stuck in a room, I’m going to lose it! Gold can you sense if anyone is close enough to read outside here?”

Gold closed her eyes. “I sense someone getting close…wait, it’s Sonic and the others, they got Geoffrey, Fiona and Lucian back!”

Elise breathed a sigh of relief. “That’s good, maybe if they get here first then they might just let us through.”

“No,” said Blaze. “Something’s not right about this.” Blaze turned her thoughts inward. “I hope mother is ok right now.”


Hershey had cradled her baby in her arms as she continued to speak softly to her. “And the glass slipper fit Cinderella’s foot perfectly. Prince Charming took Cinderella away from her wicked stepmother and to his castle where they were married then they both lived happily ever after, the end.”

Baby Blaze cooed as she wiggled around in her tiny pink footie.

“If you thought that was fun now wait until you can understand the story my little princess. It won’t just be the sound of my voice making you smile.”

Hershey found Amy had laid Baby Gold on her back in the crib, complete with a yellow footie, while she held a light blue footie clad Baby Silver over her shoulder that had a rag draped over it. “Alright little boy, time for a burping.” She patted the newborn on his back gently until he gave a blech that while small was still impressive for a newborn. “I’m going to have to make gentleman out of you later.”

The baby just giggled back.

Both mothers laid their children down. “Geoffrey and Lucian have been gone for a while,” said Hershey. “I’m starting to get a little worried.”

“Me too,” said Amy. “I’d go looking if the babies didn’t need so much attention.”

“Then it is a good thing that the Grand Design had me come to for that reason,” Specter said as he came into the room. “I’m afraid you must leave your children for a short while to fulfill your duties as Ixis’ heralds.”

“It’s the Elemental War isn’t it?” said Amy. “We have everything we needed to start it but since we’re still recovering, we were kept out while the others are fighting.”

“I am doing my best to make sure the elementals only capture and disarm living opponents. Unfortunately, our location has been discovered and we are under attack even now the remaining heralds are defending this place as Robotnick’s airship continues its assault.”

“Robotnick we have no problem fighting,” said Hershey. “We might be sore in some places and can’t do somethings, but we can help Fiona and our husbands a little.”

Specter conjured a ball of light. “This will guide you through the labyrinth to the fire trial, meet up with them there. You need not worry about the children; Uncle Specter will take good care of them until you return.”

“Thank you, my lord,” Hershey leaned over the crib. “Mommy has to go help Daddy for a bit so be a good girl for our master my little princess.” The black cat then gently kissed the lilac kitten’s forehead.

Amy did a similar kiss on her babies’ foreheads. “I need you to be a big boy and girl while I’m gone but I’ll be back before you know it my little ones.”

After Amy and Hershey followed the ball of light out the door Specter turned to the babies. “Finally, I thought they’d never leave.” He waved a hand over them exposing a soft yellow glow; Baby Silver, Baby Gold and Baby Blaze all began crying. “Mogul thinks he can use you to thwart the Grand Design in two hundred years, but once again the Supreme Council’s treachery plays right into my plans.”

He created a soft blue light at the end of his fingertip. “Perfect Recall.”

He then touched each of the babies on the forehead, and they stopped and looked on wide eyed.

“This spell will store a memory until a chosen time, in this case when you are in the Fire Chamber this moment but only when fifteen years have passed for you. You will remember two things, first when Sonic and his band enter the chamber you must not let them pass. For the second I’ll tell you the truth of Ixis, your kind, and this world. But since you are still so young, I will do so the way the Herald of Fire would to you little Blaze.”

Specter’s grinned maliciously as the glow on the children began to pulse, it would soon be too late for anyone to reverse the spell.

“Once upon a time…”


Back in the fire chamber the sound of grinding stone was heard coming through a wall. “They’re coming!” said Gold. “Blaze, Silver if they have Geoffrey and Lucian back to normal well… you know what we have to do.”

The wall opened and Sonic stepped through followed by Sally and the rest. “Hey guys, look who we found! Had to return some of Naugus’ pieces to sender but they’re back to normal! What’s been keeping you?”

Marine huffed drawing everyone’s attention as the wall closed. “Nothing, Specter decided to just keep us waiting in here!”

No one noticed as Silver, Blaze and Gold felt a sudden realization then lowered their heads shadowing their eyes.

“Well Naugus only had three wizards in him,” said Knuckles. “Still there has to be some way to get through here.”

“Actually, we know what to do now,” said Silver. “The answer was here the whole time.”

Lucian pushed his way through. “I-it really is you, the hospital and the meetings with the Freedom Fighters, the two of you were right in front of me! How could I have not seen it when you were both born yesterday!? Silver, Gold, y-you’re m-my children…”

“Children?!” everyone who came into the room with the elites shouted.

“It’s true,” said Fiona. “Silver, Gold, Blaze, I helped bring the three of you into world, I held you all in my arms just hours ago, but you’re all here grown up…”

“It really is you my little princess,” said Geoffrey. “Your mother and I only saw you once before on that tower but it’s undeniable, we met you before you were born.”

“Hold on!” shouted Sonic. “You’re telling me the babies Amy and Hershey had were Silver, Gold and Blaze?!”

“But it doesn’t make sense!” said Tails. “They were all born two hundred years in the future!”

“No,” said Marine. “They told me everything, they were born in this time before…”

“It doesn’t matter anymore,” said Gold. “Only what has to be done here.”

“She’s right,” said Knuckles. “We’re running out of time; we have to get to the Master Emerald and the other relics Specter had stolen before these elementals overrun the planet!”

“You said something about an answer,” said Elise. “But I’ve been with you the whole time but never saw anything.”

“You did,” said Blaze. “But only now do I realize, the fire guardian…” Suddenly the room changed into a ruined cityscape with lava flows and plumes of fire everywhere. “Has always been me.” Gold and Silver stood to either side of her. “And the only true way to save the future from this or any other ruinous fate is to replace it with one where the Grand Design of Ixis has come to pass.”

“Are you nuts?!” yelled Julie-su. “I thought you were trying to save Sonic!”

“He has made himself an enemy of Ixis,” said Silver. “You turned our fathers from the path, but the Great Illumination is almost upon us, soon all will follow.”

“Silver don’t!” Lucian said. “I learned Specter…”

“We know what he did on Angel Island Daddy,” said Gold. “But what you think is a betrayal is simply the Grand Design in motion.”

Marine teared up. “Blaze please, this isn’t you! I don’t want to fight…”

“Then protect Elise!” shouted Sonic. “She’s not a fighter, Blaze would tell you to make sure she’s safe!”

Marine wiped the tears away and nodded. “Right, it’s what she’s always done for the people of the Sol Kingdom, so I’ll follow her example!”

“That’s a mistake,” said Blaze. “Her power over water was the best chance you had against my flames, not that it’d be enough. Especially when you are facing the power of the mind as well thanks to my friends.”

“In case you haven’t noticed even without Marine and Elise we outnumber you three to one!” said Sally. “So, stop this and we can stop Specter.”

“Lord Specter will not be denied, but you’re right about the numbers. What say I even the odds a little?”

Blaze took out seven square cut gems that began to float around the three.


Specter allowed a small smile underneath his mask as he noticed that out of the corner of his eye a sudden burst of light came from the nursery he just left and the wailing of three infants gave way to silence.

“And with that no one can interfere with the trial. It won’t be much longer; this is your final test my perfect vessel. Pass this and you will at last be strong enough to be able to host my spirit indefinitely, once Mobius kneels before Ixis we will lead them out into the cosmos to carry out the Grand Design. It will take decades, centuries, perhaps even millennia but you will carry me through it all. Until almighty Ixis is free and can claim creation while making those meddlesome titans regret ever locking him away from what is rightfully his, just like you are rightfully mine!”


Sally felt weak in the knees. “The Sol Emeralds?!”

“Don’t worry, I got them!” Sonic grabbed one of the Sol Emeralds but let go as he waved his hand while the gem glowed red at his touch. “YEOUCH! That’s hot!”

Blaze chuckled. “I am the protector of the Sol Emeralds; did you really think that taking them from me when I call upon their power is even possible?”

“No!” shouted Marine. “You told me we need our kingdom’s treasure to seal Iblis away again!”

“Iblis won’t be sealed within me or released; he and the other elementals are staying right where they are. I see the true reason the Grand Design had let me bring them, so we can use their power to defeat you!”

The gems spun around quickly and in a flash of light the Sol Emeralds disappeared and before them Blaze, Silver and Gold were glowing pink, yellow and white, respectively.

“So, what are the odds of all of us beating three super forms?” asked Mighty.

“They may be powerful, but they aren’t invincible!” said Knuckles. “Just get me close to Blaze and I can knock the Sol Emeralds away from her!”

{This won’t even be a fight,} Super Gold said to everyone telepathically. {With this new power I can enter all your minds at once. This contest will be over once I plant the truth of Ixis within your minds. Then we will all serve the Grand Design together.}

Sonic gritted his teeth. As if facing three super forms wasn’t bad enough! This isn’t like any fight I had before. My speed, Knuckles’ strength, it’s going to be useless if Gold can just get into our heads and brainwash us! There’s got to be a way out of this, but we better find it fast or we’ll be Masquerade’s toy soldiers!

Chapter 22: Trial by Fire

Summary:

After Blaze, Silver and Gold have gone super the Freedom Fighters find themselves in a fight for survival. Meanwhile Specter's former elite struggle with the fate of their children as the world finds itself in retreat from the Order of Ixis' elemental forces.

Chapter Text

Vector punched through a wind elemental while and charged through while it reformed. The water elemental next to it was burst apart by Charmy’s stinger. Then they darted around a bend in the path an into a crevice in the rock.

“Hopefully, they’ll lose our trail after that,” said the bee. “Saffron and Ray should have cleared the path ahead.”

“Alright,” said Vector. “We better get back and catch up with the evacuees.”

The two left the crevice and began to catch up to a group of echidnas who were going through the mountain path. As they came up Ray shouted from above. “You picked a few up! Run ahead!”

Once they were through Saffron pulled out one of her doll grenades and tossed it into the elementals following them causing the group to disperse. “Hurry, it’s hard enough getting everyone to stay ahead of them!”

The boys came up on the group as they continued down the path. “We really appreciate the help,” said Cobar. “But I’m starting to get worried about the elderly and sick among us, they can’t keep up this march much longer.”

“It’s either keep going or get captured by those freaks,” said Ray. “I don’t know what they’ll do to us, but I doubt they’ll take everybody out for pizza.”

“Look the Dragon Spine Mountains are littered with caves,” said Vector. “Once Espio and Liza check out the paths ahead we’ll find one big enough for everybody, cover up the entrance then hunker down while we figure out what to do next.”

“Then it better be a good plan,” growled Lien-Da. “To get as many of the vulnerable out as possible a lot of my troops stayed behind in the city, including…” her voice lowered to a whimper. “Fin.”

“Finitivus had to make sure Lara-Le wouldn’t get hurt,” said Saffron. “It just wasn’t safe to move her after her surgery.”

“If anything happens to him…I never knew my mother, I felt nothing when I killed my father because he never acted or felt to me like he was. Before I lost my brother, we schemed against each other but Kragok had that family in Eli-Za and Remington for a time before I chased them away. He was furious when he found out, but I never understood what he felt then until now. If I do lose Fin, they’ll need tweezers to pick up what’ll be left of Specter when I’m through with him!”

Vector stood up to Lien-Da. “That’s not how we do things! Sometimes the situation causes the bad guys to bite it, but the goal is to ALWAYS try to put them behind bars where they belong!” The croc sighed. “I get it you’re coming out of a place of concern and that’s a new feeling for you, but if you try to go that far you’ll just end up making the new Finitivus and any of your kids as afraid of you as Kragok’s family were of him.”

“Alright by the book, but this doesn’t mean I like any of you.”

“Believe me the only reason I gave you that advice is because you’re more useful to us outside a prison cell, you still have a LOT of parole to go.”

Espio appeared suddenly after undoing his camouflage. “We can’t go through the northern pass, there’s a squad of elementals coming that way.”

Cobar nodded. “Alright we’ll take everyone through the western pass instead, hopefully we can leave the island that way.”

“That’s not an option either,” said Liza and she appeared. “We got another group coming that way.”

“And a third right behind us,” said Vector. “We got no choice, have the civilians in stay in the middle, we might not be able to stop ‘em from capturing us but we’ll make it as hard as possible!”

Ray looked to the sky. “Knuckles, Julie, Mighty, Marine, I hope you’re all doing better than we are right now.”


Sonic was still trying to get a handle of what was going on. Three of his friends who were trying to protect him to change the future suddenly turned against them and went into super forms after they were somehow brainwashed by Specter. A brainwashing that Super Gold was about to telepathically spread to them.

{Accept now the truth of Ixis and…}

Suddenly very loud heavy metal music sounded out causing Gold and just about everyone else to cover their ears.

“ARGH! I can’t concentrate!”

Everyone turned to see Tails was working his Miles Electric while Julie-Su looked at her antenna quill in surprise.

“Sorry about this Julie,” Tails yelled above the din. “But hacking your tech was the fastest way to do this!”

The echidna gritted her teeth. “I understand but I hope we can finish this fast because sorry isn’t going to bring back my sense of hearing if this goes on for too long!”

“You think all it takes to stop us is noise pollution!?” said Burning Blaze as she gathered flames in the area into the palm of her hand. “With all this power at my command I can simply beat you to the point where you’ll have no choice but to accept the truth!”

Blaze sent a stream of fire towards Julie and Tails only for Marine to step between them and send her own stream of water colliding with the flames creating steam that obscured the area.

“I’m sorry Blaze but right now you’re off your rocker! I can’t let you hurt Elise or anyone!”

Super Silver pushed the steam away only find their opponents had vanished along with the loud music. “Clever but don’t think we won’t tear this place apart to find you!”

“It won’t be long until I can truly understand the full extent of my powers in this form,” said Super Gold. “Then I won’t need to see them to sense their thoughts and reach them telepathically.”

“In that case spread out and find them,” said Burning Blaze. “They had to have split up among the ruins.”

The three began moving about blasting rubble with fire or pushing it away with psychokinesis to find them.

Some distance away Sonic was leading everyone except Marine and Elise out of though a hollowed-out building.

“I hope you know what you’re doing Sally,” Mighty said. “With Marine keeping Elise safe in another building we can’t pull off that steam trick again.”

“Same here,” Sally said before turning to Knuckles. “You managed to beat a copy of Mecha Sonic Robotnick made when it gained a super form and Sonic beat Super Scourge without powering up himself so we know it’s possible even if it isn’t easy at all, we still outnumber them so whatever weakness they have that we can exploit you would know how to best use it.”

Knuckles sighed. “If we were dealing with Chaos Emeralds, I could strike Blaze in way to disrupt their energies long for us to grab them but with the Sol Emeralds the only one who knows how to do that is Blaze herself. The only real way we were able to beat Mecha and Scourge in those forms were to outlast them. With no power rings in this mindscape, they should only be able to hold those forms for ten minutes at most; I say they have about another eight minutes left. Then if the Sol Emeralds follow the same rules as the Chaos Emeralds they’ll scatter, and it will take a day or three for them to draw enough energy from the Chaos Force to be usable again.”

“Eight minutes is a long time when you’re outmatched like we are,” said Tails. “Hurting them isn’t even a possibility, hiding for the whole time is almost impossible, splitting up would just increase the chances of somebody gets taken in by this forbidden truth or whatever Specter calls it, so our best chance is wait until they come for us then hold out until they’re depowered.”

Sally took a deep breath. “If Julie can make noise with her antenna; Geoffrey, Lucian and Fiona use their magic to shield us; everyone attacking when we have a chance and then have Fiona heal any wounds the rest of us get, we might just be able to pull it off.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Sonic said with a thumbs up.

Sally smiled. “Thanks, still how good of a plan depends a lot on how much time has passed when one of them finds us.”

The ceiling was ripped off by psychokinesis, Super Silver stared down at them. “Found you.”

“Julie music now!” yelled Sally. “With their mental link Blaze and Gold could be here any second!”

Julie’s quill blared out the music just as the other two showed up.

“Gold can get used to that cacophony,” said Burning Blaze. “It won’t protect you forever!”

“It will be long enough with these,” said Fiona.

Geoff, Lucian and Fiona threw up barriers of wind, ice and stone.

“Stop hiding and face us.” said Super Gold.

“I don’t want to fight my little girl!” said Lucian. “Or my little boy!”

“I’m not sure how this happened to you my little princess,” said Geoffrey. “But trying to stop me and your mother before, coming here with Sonic, you were always against Specter. Why change everything now?”

“Don’t worry Father,” said Blaze. “We will bring you three back on the path along with the others, just surrender and we can all be with Mother and Amy.”

“This will hurt at first Dad,” said Silver. “But you’ll all thank us when it’s over.”

Silver brought his palms together then spread them apart making a crescent shaped wave of psychic force that appeared to have a sharp edge. A second later he thrust his palms forward sending the force flying.

“PSYCHO KNIFE!”

The blade sheared cut through both barriers and everyone inside was pushed back several feet. Sonic, Tails and Knuckles got up with Sally and Julie following a moment later.

“Alright,” said Sonic. “Round two, one way or another we’re going to help you three save the future.”


In the idol chamber Snively waved his invisible hand through floating image in front of Supreme Council. “Are you sure you’re using this spell correctly? If that fight in the fire arena has started, then I’m going to have to make my move very soon.

“First shut up, he could be back any minute,” said Witchcart as the was trying to influence the spell. “Secondly it’s hard to gaze into those chambers, the wards around them were made around the Elite and without them or Lord Specter working past those are tricky.”

“How goes the battle?” Specter said as he returned to the idol chamber. He then turned his gaze to the still unconscious Naugus. “Looks like the Triumverate were defeated, as I expected really.”

“But how can the Herald of Fire stand up to the intruders?” asked Regina. “She’s in a less than optimal condition.”

“I found some substitutes,” Specter waved his hand and an image appeared of Burning Blaze being literally hot on Sonic’s heels. “For both the guardian and the challengers.”

From another angle Knuckles was punching away debris that Super Silver was psychically tossing at him. Then the image shifted again as Super Gold sprung made manifested projections of herself that proved to be more than illusions since they could affect the physical world.

Snively looked on dumbfounded. Regina however said exactly what he was thinking. “Why would they just switch sides like that!?”

“It was a simple spell,” Specter chuckled.  “All it really did was make them remember a story their Uncle Specter told them back when they were in diapers.” The Supreme Council looked wide eyed. “Please I’m sure by now you’ve noticed the uncanny resemblance they have to the newborn children of the Heralds of Ixis? Mammoth did and I assume that was why you sent those newborns a couple of centuries into the future?”

Mammoth Mogul bowed his head. “You are correct my lord, I felt the best way to serve the will of Ixis was to make sure that the timeline remained…”

“You did it to plot against me,” Specter interrupted. “But like I said earlier I never would have recruited any of you if I thought any betrayal you planned was detrimental to the Grand Design. In fact, this is just what my perfect vessel needs to…” Specter then entered another coughing fit. He removed his mask to cough up more blood before downing a bottle of some sort of medicine.

“My lord,” said Witchcart. “Your body is starting to reach its limit, let us help you. Tell us who the vessel is then we can bring them here straight away and you can take their body.”

Unseen Snively nervously prepared to move.

Specter returned his mask to his face. “Your pragmatism is commendable, however while I am close to determining the vessel, I do not know who it is yet.”

“I thought the Grand Design told you who your next host was supposed to be,” said Regina.

“I only know as much as Ixis allows me to see. The Grand Design is inevitable, but that doesn’t mean it’s inflexible. There are four candidates for my vessel, three of which are in the arena, whoever performs the best and survives will be my vessel.”

“And if none of them do?”

“Then I will have the elementals bring the fourth or have him come to me, this body should last that long. He is more than capable, but I am yet to be convinced he is the Ultimate.”


Shadow and Omega entered the command center deep under Guardian Mountain. They pointed a pistol and arm cannons around starling the technicians manning the computer consoles and then lowered them. “Room secure,” said Omega. “You may return to your duties. Remaining organics, please enter so we can fortify this position.”

Rouge and Hope came in escorting President Whitmore and blonde woman wearing glasses, Commander Tower followed pointing his pistol behind him before hitting a button next to the door causing it to slide down closed before a large lock engaged.

“The command center is now sealed off Mr. President, Secretary Summers,” said Commander Tower as the president sat in a central chair that looked down on the command center’s lower level. “Those things have been beating down our door, but this lockdown should hold them off until backup arrives. I want a sitrep, asap!”

One of the operators spoke while working his terminal. “Central City is almost completely overrun, and we also have reports of attacks on Adabat, Atapos, Chun-Nan, Empire City, Holoska, Mazuri, Shamar, Soleanna, Spagonia, Station Square and Westopolis.

“No,” said the Secretary. “All those people, the president’s council members…”

“Stay calm Abigail,” said the President. “I’m worried about them all too but at least we know these elemental things are just capturing people so injuries should be kept to a minimum.”

“What about our own assets and allies?” asked Shadow. “And Robotnick for that matter?”

Another operator spoke up. “Major mobian population centers are under similar circumstances. Military hardware for both the Federation and Republic along with allied forces are being systematically destroyed. In addition, Robotnick Ascendancy forces are being decimated all over the world.”

“Figures,” said Rouge. “Using all robots, they don’t have any prisoners to take. But why are these things going out of their way not to hurt anybody?”

“Maybe if we knew what they’re doing now,” said the Commander. “We should still have satellite surveillance, what can we tell about their movements since this began?”

“Major populations centers were struck first,” said the initial operator. “Soon from there they began spreading to towns then rural areas and now it looks like the majority of their efforts are just combing over sparsely populated regions.”

“It looks like they are trying to find as many people as possible before doing anything with the prisoners. Question is why?”

“This is…cess Eli…,” said a static garbled voice. Hope pulled out a device like the Miles Electric, the voice was coming from it. “Can…ear me?”

“What is that?” asked President Whitmore.

“I set this device to listen for encoded Freedom Fighter frequencies,” said Hope. “Someone from the Republic must be trying to contact us, but I can’t boost the reception by much this deep underground.”

“We have some of the best communication equipment in world in this room,” said Secretary Summers. “Hook your device up, that should give you the reception you need.”

Hope connected her Miles Electric to a console and a red headed human girl appeared on the central monitor.

“This is Princess Elise of Soleanna, can anyone hear me?”

“Princess, this is GUN Headquarters,” said Commander Tower. “We’re glad you managed to reach us, but we were told somebody kidnapped you. How did you manage to escape?”

“I was taken by the Order of Ixis, but the Freedom Fighters sent a rescue team led by Sonic the Hedgehog, I’m using the communicator of a girl named Marine but that’s beside the point. I don’t know how long I have, so listen carefully. The elementals’ attacks are a ruse, their real purpose is to act as psychic antenna that will allow Specter to spread a telepathic message to anyone in an elemental’s line of sight, at least according to what I learned from my new friend Gold about the limits of telepathy. Once this message is received the knowledge triggers some sort of genetic marker in mobians or overlanders that will turn them into Specter’s willing slaves. Even being roboticized wouldn’t save them, since I read the roboticizer was originally made to keep a patient alive until a cure for a disease was found the cybernetic DNA would preserve the genetic marker and trigger in the same way overwriting any programming.”

“Wait a minute,” said Rouge. “No offense Your Highness but if this genetic marker or whatever is so potent how come Specter isn’t already brainwashing every mobian and overlander he’s caught or fighting, why wait?”

“I don’t know but when I was locked up Specter was berating the three that brought me here. He said I was a risk but one they wanted to use later, I think he has some other plan for humans and as ruler of Soleanna I would be valuable to it. He also mentioned that they needed surprise because when the true purpose of the Elemental War was revealed they needed to affect as many people at once as possible.”

Shadow looked at his wrist. “I think I just figured out why. Specter’s supplementing his power with that of the Chaos Emeralds to use these elementals on a global scale, but he would only be able to utilize that much power for so long. The reason Professor Gerald gave me these Inhibitor Rings was that I can only use my full power for a short time before I start to lose consciousness, I could force myself to stay awake past that but do it too long and my nervous system burns up.”

“Ok then try not to do that,” said Rouge. “I for one would rather have a boyfriend without a burnt nervous system.”

“Point is even if Specter’s plan is successful, he’ll leave himself in a vulnerable state afterward if he even survives at all. With the concentration it would take to control these things directly the best chance to survive is by using as little energy as possible before getting an overwhelming majority of the population with one big blast. That way if there were any stragglers they could be captured and converted in short order and with the advances now being made in some of the most remote regions of Mobius the real attack can come at any moment.”

“Then there’s no time to waste,” said Elise. “We have to take back the Emeralds or the Essences that’s making the elementals before they spread far enough that Specter can attack. We’re still at their base in Devil’s Gulag so we can stop Specter before he can send this message.”

Commander Tower turned to Team Dark. “Shadow how many people can you take with you using Chaos Control?”

“By myself at once? Two, maybe three people,” said Shadow. “But without an Emerald to boost my power I can only go so far per jump, not enough to cross an ocean and Devil’s Gulag is almost on the other side of the planet.”

President Whitmore sighed. “Then we have to leave things in the hands of Sonic and the other Freedom Fighters. The hopes of all humans, overlanders and Mobians rest on…”

Elise turned away. “Wait, Marine where are you going?!” Suddenly the image turned to static.

“Ms. Kintobor try to get her back!”

“The problem seems to be on our end,” said Hope. “But everything on this device seems to be working perfectly.”

Secretary Summers then noticed something on one of the terminals. “It’s not your communicator it’s the antenna it’s hooked up to, the enemy has destroyed it! Why would…?”

Just then air elementals began coming out of the vents in the larger part of the command center separated from Team Dark by a pane of glass.

“Impossible!” said Commander Tower. “The biodefense air-filtration system is supposed to remove all biological and nuclear contaminants from the air before it enters this room!”

“But they aren’t contaminants!” said Hope. “They’re made out of the very air the filters are supposed to let pass!”

The air elementals then blew against the glass as Shadow moved the President and Secretary to the back. “Omega get them and any other human personnel you can out of here! My Black Arms DNA might let me resist but if it doesn’t, if me or any mobian or overlander gets turned and threatens to kill the humans don’t hesitate, take us out!”

“Acknowledged,” said Omega. “While I hope we evacuate using the route that allows for maximum violence against these hostiles, I would regret needing to comply with your request.”

The door out was letting out some large banging sounds. “Unfortunately, it looks like they’re cutting off all the escape routes!” said Rouge.

“Then we’ll fight for as long as we can!” said Shadow. As the elementals broke the glass Shadow covered himself in a red aura. “CHAOS BOOST!”


 An orb of light turned the corner of the hallway followed closely by Amy and Hershey. Amy however then stood still causing Hershey and the orb to stop. “Is something wrong?”

“I don’t like it, leaving the babies while the boys are out fighting just feels wrong. I know it is to bring a better world but it’s going against those motherly instincts I think are starting to kick in. My head and my heart tell me everything seems to be on the verge of paradise, but my gut says my children are in danger.”

“I don’t want to leave Blaze either, but Lord Specter is looking after them they couldn’t ask for a better protector from any danger.

“Suppose you’re right, we better hurry so…”

Suddenly the orb sputtered then winked out of sight.

“What happened!?” asked Hershey.

Amy closed her eyes. “It seems like a large amount of energy is being emitted from somewhere nearby. I think it overwhelmed our guide.”

“Then how are we supposed to find the fire arena with Lord Specter’s labyrinth ward in place?”

“I can still sense the energy that disrupted the guide; it might not be the arena but at least we’ll be heading somewhere.”

Hershey sighed. “I guess it’s better than nothing, ok lead on.”

Amy let her magic direct them and after a few twists. “It should be right about here.”

Hershey was wide eyed. “It’s coming from the Fire Arena?” the cat placed her paw on the stone doorway. “The magic within has been activated, but I’m the only fire mage Lord Specter was supposed to key that energy to.”

“Can you still open it?”

Hershey nodded. “I should, hopefully whatever’s going on we can help Fiona and our husbands. But if there is a fight going on the chamber won’t let us leave until it’s over.”

The cat placed her hand on the upward pointing triangle in the middle and the door vanished to the volcanic cityscape beyond. The door closed behind them to blend into the ruins.

Amy looked around. “What is all this? Lord Specter laced some spells in the chamber but nothing on this scale.”

An explosion went off a few blocks away.

“Well, whatever is happening there’s defiantly a battle going on,” said Hershey as they ran towards the chaos. “Let’s sneak close and see if…”

“Oi, you two!” came a voice from behind them. Amy and Hershey turned around and saw Marine coming to them with a worried expression. “I don’t know what you and your boss did to my sis and our friends but you gotta help us fix it!”

Elise hurried to the Raccoon. “Marine I managed to warn…” the princess froze at the sight of the girls who captured her.

“I don’t know what you’re doing here Marine, but Princess Elise you not supposed to be out of your cell until after the Great Illumination,” said Amy. “It’s for your own safety, humans have a place in the Grand Design even if…”

Marine plugged her ears. “LALALALA, I AM NOT LISTENING!”

“Marine what Elise told you might seem like what we know is scary, but it really isn’t. Everything will make more sense to you than it ever has before, even if you came from another reality.”

“Even Specter having the elementals you summoned attack your allies on Angel Island?” said Elise.

Hershey hissed. “That has to be the most desperate lie ever heard.”

“I was there,” said Marine who uncovered her ears when she saw their attention was on Elise. “We were fighting the pirates you recruited when the water elemental that showed up attacked them.” Marine looked away sad. “Big tried to help but it got him tangled in the Jellyfish pirate’s stingers and he got envenomated more than her usual targets, he’s still in the hospital and Gold’s real worried about him.”

“Gold!?” said Amy. “But how did you know…woah…” The pink hedgehog looked like she had motion sickness for a moment.

“Amy?” Hershey asked.

Amy suddenly had a look of terror cross her face. “Gold, Silver, Blaze…how could I have forgotten them!? But they’re…please Heaven no!”

“Amy you aren’t making sense, you didn’t forget the babies, they’re probably napping back in the nursery as we speak.”

“I don’t mean the babies! I mean the Gold, Silver and Blaze who grew up in the future! But if they grew up then what could be happening our babies now?!”

“You’re scaring me, what are you talking about?”

“She means my Blaze,” said Marine. “The Princess of the Sol Kingdom, the Guardian of the Sol Emeralds one who’s my best friend, my sister in all but blood. The Blaze your daughter is going to grow up to be one day.”

Hershey blinked a couple of times. “I take back what I said, THIS is the most desperate lie I ever heard. I don’t know how you found out my daughter’s name, but Blaze is a NEWBORN, how can she possibly…”

“Because she was a time traveler,” said Amy. “So is Silver and Gold, my memories…they were removed from them until now, but I knew my children before they were conceived.”

The cat cradled her head like she had a headache. “Wait, something’s coming back to me. On that roof at Freedom City, the cat Lord Specter took Iblis’ core from, she looked so much like Blaze!”

“It was probably some future creep that messed your memories,” said Marine. “But that doesn’t matter right now. Specter somehow pulled off the mind whammy on the three of them and they’re fighting Sonic, Lucian, Geoffrey and everybody else right now!”

“This is all wrong!” said Amy. “Attacking his followers and using our babies like that would go against…go against…I can’t remember!”

“Neither can I!” gasped Hershey. “Why did we ever think any of this was a good idea?!”

“What matters is that you can help everyone now,” said Elise. “They all came to save you, we have to stop this before Silver, Gold and Blaze do something they’ll never forgive themselves for.”

“And let’s make it speedy!” Amy said as they began to run. “Then we might have a chance to save BOTH your friends and our babies!”


Silver used his PK to throw Knuckles through a wall, the Echdina kept going and collided with Sonic on the other side. They were picked up by the rest of the team all looking very ragged.

“I’m starting to get tired of this,” said Sonic. “Please tell me that their super forms are almost out of gas.”

“We still have three minutes left,” groaned Knuckles. “Not gonna lie, it was optimistic that we’d last this long.”

{You never stood a chance,} Super Gold said telepathically as she levitated down. {It just took me a bit to adjust to the noise, now except the truth…}

The music coming from Julie’s antenna suddenly changed from heavy metal to a very loud polka.

Tails gave a thumbs up. “After our first escape I programed the Miles Electric to switch up the music type every so often to keep her from getting used to it. I also hid it in out there in the ruins so they couldn’t just take it from me and stop it there.”

“It won’t do you any good,” said Super Silver as he psycho kinetically grabbed Julie-su and levitated her over to him.

“Julie!” Knuckles yelled.

 “If we can’t find your toy, I’ll just stop your little oomphas by taking out the receiver!”

Burning Blaze came up flame in hand. “I wish it didn’t have to happen like this, but we’re running out of time.” She turned to Super Silver. “Rip out the antenna, I’ll cauterize the wound…”

“Blaze Wisteria Saint John, you two will do no such thing!” Hershey yelled as she, Amy, Marine and Elise came over a hill.

The three empowered beings turned to newcomers.

“Mother?”

“Mom?” the twins said together.

“What are you doing?” asked Amy. “Put her down now! These are your friends, your family! We shouldn’t be fighting!”

Silver looked confused as he lowered Julie-Su. “Mom we, we’re trying to help them, to keep them from their misguided attempt to stop the Great Illumination. They tricked Dad and the others, but we’ll bring them back to…”

“No, Specter and Ixis were the ones who tricked us. The attack on Angel Island…”

“Went as planned,” said Blaze. “I know it seems counter intuitive, but we know the bigger perspective having seen what would happen if the Great Illumination never comes to pass.”

“I don’t understand,” said Hershey. “What was supposed to happen? Amy goes on about you being from the future but I, I haven’t heard any of it.”

“Neither have I,” said Geoffrey as he came up. “I the one thing in my life I could say without a doubt left the world better than I found it would be becoming a good father to you, but now I get the feeling your life was hard.”

“It was at first,” said Blaze. “But everything unfolded as it had to bring about the Great Illumination. I managed to save Iblis within myself, I became the Guardian of the Sol Emeralds and when my people were brought here, I completed that role.”

“I see our hardships were for a purpose now,” said Silver before gesturing to the area around them. “This illusion is a copy of just one of the potential futures I experienced, but each ended the same. A time where peace and prosperity are distant forgotten memories, we now realize the Great Illumination is the only hope to avoid a tragic future.”

Gold looked confused. “Why are you so surprised to hear this? Lord Specter told you that this was our destiny, didn’t he?”

Silver looked to Gold just as confused. “What does that have to do with anything?”

“No,” said Lucian. “We couldn’t remember any of you as you are now. The last time we saw you we thought we’d just come back, and you’d all still be in your cribs safe and sound, Specter never said anything about you having to be sent to another time.”

“We left you in his care,” Amy said with tears in her eyes. “He never breathed a word about any of this.”

“Because he wasn’t responsible,” said Blaze. “Mammoth Mogul was.”

Gold however clenched her fist. “But we only learned what we do because of Specter’s spell,” she said harshly. “Meaning he knew what Mogul was going to do against him! He knew and he did nothing, worse than nothing he let it happen AND used it to HIS advantage!”

“What’s going on?” asked Sonic. “Shouldn’t she be brainwashing us right now?”

Marine and Elise approached the others. “I thought by helping their moms it would help them,” said Marine. “But I didn’t expect it would only work on one of them.”

“Looks like the context of their lives matters when it comes to breaking this thing,” said Sally.

“Why are you acting like this?” Blaze said confused. “Send the truth to them all, our mothers had been led astray too.”

Gold stared down her friends. “I wouldn’t even if I could remember what it was. He said all our wishes would come true, there was one wish I always had when Master Mogul told us we were orphans, while you both accepted it, I wished with all my heart that he was wrong, that our parents were still alive, and I wanted to see them again. Specter could have made that wish come true but didn’t, just so we would fight Sonic! Silver, Blaze you have to realize that by now!”

“Our only wish was to save our home,” Super Silver said. “But you let yourself go astray with your selfishness.”

“Selfishness has nothing to do this! I spent so long trapped in another dimension all alone, I finally managed to come back only to be hunted by the Mobius Imperium. A family hid me with their little girl adapt but they were found, I wanted to help them but there was a Rectifier leading the enforcement robots, I wouldn’t stand a chance. The little girl screamed as they took her family away and sent her to one of their academies, I swore to myself I would  never let that happen again! We came back here to save Sonic; I won’t let you hurt him.”

Super Silver sighed. “Then we’ll just have to give the truth back to you with the…” his eyes suddenly widened. “What happened to the mental link?!”

“I made the links; I can just as easily sever them.”

Burning Blaze formed a pair of fireballs in her hands. “If you stand against us, then we have to defeat you too.”

“Stop it!” yelled Hershey.

“Exactly!” Super Gold said as her eyes glowed in an intense aura. “I’ll use this super form to control your minds! I don’t want to complete our mission this way but you leave me no choice!”

Super Silver and Burning Blaze’s eyes glowed gold. “It won’t be that easy sister! We’re super too and can fight back!”

“Please!” yelled Amy as she cried. “My babies!”

Sonic began to move until Knuckles grabbed him by the shoulder. “Hang on, this is eating up whatever energy their super forms have left. It might not be enough, but I have plan to close out the rest if it should come down to it. Tails we’ll need your help too.”

The Hedgehog and Fox nodded. “So, what’s the plan?”

Burning Blaze put the fireballs together to make a larger orb. “Get out, get out, GET OUT OF MY HEAD!” She then launched it at her friend.

Super Gold sent a powerful pulse towards the orb and her attackers. “No, I WON’T LET YOU BECOME WHAT WE FOUGHT AGAINST!”

As the two attacks collided everyone’s minds was filled with a strange image.

Blaze and Gold were incredibly young, about three to four years old, and in an intense tug of war with a raggedy patchwork doll as the rope.

“I want a turn with dolly!” said little Blaze. “Gimme!”

“I found her she’s mine!” said little Gold.

“But I dug her out so she’s mine!”

Gold’s eyes glowed then Blaze’s. “MINE!”

Blaze’s gold glow went away as she began to burst into flame. “MINE!”

Neither of the little girls noticed as the flame and psychic energy began reacting right above the doll as they screamed at each other.

“MINE!!!”

The mix resulted in a huge blast that incinerated the doll before engulfing the girls.

Suddenly everyone was back in the present as an even bigger explosion spread from where the attacks hit. Blaze threw Silver back at the very last second as the two were covered in a fireball.

“NOOOOOOOOO!” two mothers and two fathers screamed out.

The blast cleared and Gold fell to the ground depowered and shaky, but awake and alive. Blaze seemed to be unphased, but everyone noticed two things both girls’ clothes had burned away, parts of their bodies had instead of fur, patches of old burn scars.

“I guess since this was your first time you weren’t able to hold onto it for long,” said Burning Blaze. “To think our clash ended up the same way our first and only real fight did all those years ago.”

“Master said it was a good thing the wounds would scar,” coughed Gold. “I can still recall his exact words, ‘people forget, scars remember’. We promised nothing would ever come between us again.”

“The lessons I learned since about controlling my emotions became a part of me,” said Burning Blaze. “But with the Great Illumination we won’t need scars anymore. I’m sorry Gold but we’re almost out of time and this needs to end now! Silver, we have to combine our powers!”

The Hedgehog use his psychokinesis to break apart and lift the buildings together into a giant ball of debris, the cat then used her most intense flame to ignite the mass.

“Together we are unmatched! Now we will usher in the future we wanted all our lives!” said Super Silver.

Both then thrusted their arms and the whole burning mass began to fall.

“BLAZING METEOR CRUSH!”

Knuckles picked up Tails and Sonic and began to swing them around holding Tails by the ankles while he did the same to Sonic, all three seemed to be glowing. “You two aren’t the only ones who can combine their Chaos Power!”

Knuckles let go as his energy went to Tails as let go of Sonic seeming to move into a kicking position. “You may have more power now but we have experience and will to persevere!”

Sonic rolled into a ball as Tails kicked him transferring his energy and Knuckles’ into the blue blur.

“SONIC OVERDRIVE!”

He shot right into the meteor and began boring in and out so fast it looked like a single trail of blue was digging through the whole thing.

“How is this possible?!” said Silver as his super form began flickering in and out.

“Could it be?” said Blaze. “Is this what the Interloper was afraid of?”

The giant flaming stone then exploded knocking everyone down in a blinding flash of light.


In the idol chamber the image of the battle suddenly vanished.

“What happened?!” yelled Regina. “Who won?!?”

“It appears that the energies released in that collision of attacks was too much for my spell of beholding to withstand,” said Specter.

“This could be bad,” said Witchcart. “That hedgehog could be here any second!”

“Can you all keep it down?” Naugus said as he groggily rose to his feet. “You’re all loud enough to wake the dead.”

Mammoth chuckled. “Speaking of which I was starting to wonder if you’d ever wake up from that beating your predecessors took at the hands of the Freedom Fighters.”

“I’m fine now,” said Naugus. “I doubt those parts of myself will want to come out to play again.”

“Then you can aid us in the inevitable battle,” said Specter. “I am almost certain of who the vessel will be, the Elementals should all be in position by then, the Grand Design will soon be fulfilled.”


Sonic opened his eyes and found himself in arena the room was when he entered. Looking around he saw his friends starting to get up groaning. “Ugh, did we win?”

“Well, we’re alive at the very least,” said Julie-Su. “And given we’re out of that wasteland I say the fight’s over.”

“Fiona please help them!” they heard Amy say.

Fiona’s hands glowed yellow as she swept them over Blaze, Silver and Gold as they lay unconscious on the floor. “Don’t worry guys, Auntie Fiona helped bring you into this world, she’s going to fix you right up.”

“Please sis,” said Marine. “You’ve got to be back to the Blaze I know.”

The glow faded from Fiona’s hands and Silver began to get up clutching his head. “Ugh, what a nightmare. I did the opposite of everything I came back here to do and all for a reason I can’t even remember now.”

He opened his eyes and saw Amy and Lucian staring back in worry. “Silver?” Lucian asked.

“I’m ok…Mom, Dad.”

“Thank heaven,” Gold said as she began getting up. “I don’t think I could handle having to lose you again after getting you back not so long ago.”

“Gold I am so sorry,” Blaze said as she began moving. “I had worked all my life to keep my passions under control and it just took me a moment to slip and look what it cost.” She held of one of the Sol Emeralds, but it seemed to look dull and nearly lifeless. “I misused the power of the Sol Emeralds and they lost their glimmer as a result. They’re refusing to speak to me, how can we seal Iblis away now?”

“It’s alright princess,” said Geoffrey. “You made a mistake; Source knows I made plenty. Whatever you have to do to fix we’ll help you.”

“Father I…” Blaze stopped and looked down at herself. The burn scars covering her body now had a layer of fur growing over them, making them only noticeable if one looked closely. Looking over at Gold the same held true for her.

“What happened!?” Asked the lady Tenrec.

“I think it was my healing magic,” said Fiona. “It must have repaired the damaged hair follicles, I but I never could fix scar tissue or restore missing limbs…”

“It’s fine,” said Blaze. “Those burns drilled into us the importance of keeping control, I could be fully dressed but feel more naked without them.”

“It wouldn’t matter to us,” said Hershey as the two families went into an intense hug. “You two will always be beautiful in our eyes.”

“I hate to interrupt this feelgood moment,” said Knuckles. “But we still have a madman to stop, ancient relics to recover, powerful entities to get out of evil clutches and a world conquest to prevent.”

“We need you to get us to where they are keeping the Chaos Emeralds,” said Sally. “If we can break their connection to the elementals then Specter’s entire army will collapse.”

“Everything’s kept in the sanctuary,” said Lucian. “With all the arenas clear the magical labyrinth should be deactivated. We should be able to find our way there past our quarters and…” all the color drained from his face as the other four elites had a look of horror across their faces.

“THE NURSERY!”

Sonic nodded confidently. “Say no more!”

As he zoomed out Silver tried to grab him but was unable to do so quickly enough. “Sonic it’ll undo…!”

Gold gently touched him on the shoulder. “There’s no need brother, he’s already too late. The babies are gone, the mission to secure our own timelines is complete.”

Amy sank to her knees. “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!”


Sonic zipped from one room to another, the floorplan now making some modicum of sense now, only in each the fraction of a second to see what it was before moving on. He came to the nursery and stopped, laying in a crib were three tiny sets of empty clothes, it only took a brief sniff to tell that the diapers in them had been used and they were not just laid out for later.

“I…I wasn’t fast enough…”

He stood there long enough for the others to come in, Amy was still sobbing while the St. Johns cried out in anguish.

“I left my baby here not even an hour ago,” said wept Hershey. “The next time I saw her she was so grown up. We’re never going to see our baby again!”

“My princess was innocent,” said Geoffrey. “It doesn’t matter what happens to me anymore, nothing could be worse than this.”

“It’s alright,” Blaze said as she hugged her parents, she knew what they had to hear from her. “I’m right here, I made it back to you…Mommy, Daddy.”

Lucian quietly growled then punched a wall with a scream. “HE’S TAKEN EVERYTHING FROM ME! My home, my choices, my childhood, my master, MY CHILDREN, MY LIFE! Everything was for Specter’s precious Grand Design; I can’t bring the kids back but I as sure as hell am going to make him pay by making all his millennia of schemes and plans for nothing!”

“Revenge can poison a soul,” said Tails. “But you’re taking the right approach here. Specter’s plot needs to be stopped.”

“He does have a lot to answer for,” said Knuckles. “Like giving my mother a death sentence.”

Sally nodded. “Rest assured once he’s captured Specter will answer for his crimes in whatever matter the court deems fit.”

Lucian sighed. “But Master Charlemagne, Specter has control over his body. He had been fighting him for so many years, is there nothing we can do to save him?”

“We’ll try our best,” said Julie-Su. “But no one understands how this possession thing works.”

“…If that’s what it takes, the only time master was able to speak to us he was adamant about Specter being stopped.”

“You go on ahead,” said Fiona. “There something we have to take care quick then we’ll be right behind you.”

“Need help?” asked Mighty. “If we…”

“It’s nothing like that, it won’t more than a minute Handsome.”

Fiona then gasped.

“What’s wrong?”

Fiona looked to Sonic looking ashamed. “Handsome was what I called Sonic back when we were dating, before I left with Scourge.”

“Don’t let me stop you,” said Sonic. “I wasn’t always the best boyfriend to you or others.” Sonic turned to Sally who just gave a forgiving nod.

“Thanks, but would you mind Mighty?”

The Armadillo pecked a kiss on the vixen’s cheek. “I don’t mind you calling me Handsome, if you don’t mind me calling you Gorgeous.”

Fiona was now blushing. “Get going, we’ll catch up.” She then went out to the hallway while everyone except for the remaining former elite. She came back carrying the clothes they normally wore before. “If we are going to stop him, then let’s show him whose side we’re on. It’s a good thing he took these few belongings with us from the old hut, just dress quickly.”

A short time later the group had reassembled in front of a set of huge stone double doors with runes carved into them. “Specter and the rest of the Order should be behind this door,” said Amy as she conjured her hammer. “Let’s do this.”

“Wait,” said Geoffrey. “Before we go in you should know the rest of the council is plotting against Specter. Snively is there under an invisibility spell and he’ll make an attempt on Specter’s life. I know you want them all brought in alive so we can use that moment when they’re both distracted to subdue and capture everyone.”

“I should be able to read Snivley’s mind, now that I know he’s going to be there,” said Gold.

“Sounds like a plan,” said Sonic. “Let’s do it to it and bring this masquerade to an end for good!”

The Freedom Fighters burst through the door Specter and the Supreme Council turned to face them. The four relics were in each of the idol’s hands with the Chaos Emeralds floating around its head in a circle. “Ah you have arrived, exactly as the Grand Design foretold.”

“Wrong freak!” yelled Sonic. “The only thing that’s been foretold is that the good guys are going to win, and the bad guys are going to lose because that’s the future I’m choosing!”

“In spite of all the defeats you have been handed you still believe you mortals actually possess free will?”

“It’s why I’ve been fighting all my life, so everyone can run to the future they choose.”

“It’s over Specter,” said Sally as she activated her ring blades. “Return the spirits and emeralds you stole and give yourselves up or you force us to use force!”

The Council took up positions along side Specter. Regina flipped her hair.

“That’s the signal,” thought Snively as he drew a knife. “You can do this, you’ve stabbed people in the back before, just never so literally.”

“You may think that you have us outnumbered but you actually brought the most important piece of the puzzle straight to me, a body that handled properly is capable of withstanding pure chaos energy indefinitely, a perfect vessel.”

“I won’t let you do to anyone else what you did to my master!” yelled Lucian.

Amy swung her Piko Piko Hammer. “We’ll never get to see our children grow up because of you and Mammoth Mogul, it’s time you answered for those and all your other crimes!”

“Like tearing apart the Freedom Fighters!” chimed in Tails.

“And condemning my mother to a slow death!” yelled Knuckles.

Specter huffed. “You severely underestimate my power.”

“It’s you who have underestimated your position Specter,” said Elise. “The pain and suffering you caused brought these heroes closer together, but you? You don’t realize how alone you are.”

Snively was ready to strike upwards into Charlemagne’s heart. Gold relayed the information to Silver, Blaze and Marine who stood ready to stop him.

“Am I?”

Naugus’ shadow moved across the floor and grabbed the invisible overlander and the rest of the Supreme Council before lifting them into the air.

Witchcart growled. “You’ve been in Specter’s pocket the whole time, haven’t you?!”

“Not the whole time,” said Naugus. “It was only today when my predecessors were defeated and reintegrated with my psyche, then I learned the truth of this world they did but were unable to fathom its implications.”

Regina turned to the Freedom Fighters with a scowl. “Nice job breaking it, heroes!”

“There is nothing Ixis has not let me foresee,” said Specter. “Why bother with ‘allies’ and ‘friends’ when I can work with your so called ‘choices’ to create the future Ixis desires?”

“The Imperium will never come to pass!” yelled Silver. “Sonic is going to live, and Mobius will never go through that nightmare!”

“Well said Son,” said Lucian. “I can see the future myself but just because I can doesn’t mean the people around me are just tools. ‘Your comrades are more than a weapon or resource, sometimes you have to sacrifice your own goals for them’. That was the most important lesson my master taught me about my visions.”

Specter growled. “I can feel my host’s overwhelming pride at you, but his life is nearly spent. Once I have my perfect vessel, he’ll be just another in a long line of vessels whose usefulness has ended.”

“Like Morgana?!” yelled Mammoth. “Was that all my apprentice ever was to you?! You told me she considered you a friend, but you never once thought of her the same way, did you?!”

“Why would I? Her life was just as fleeting as all of yours.”

“That’s it!” said Sally. “No more delays!”

“I couldn’t agree more!” came a muffled but familiar sounding voice.

Suddenly the ceiling began collapsing, Both Silver and Specter created shields around the people and the idol respectively. In the open sky now above them the battle was still raging between Robotnick’s Neo Swats and Specter’s Elementals but hovering just above the ruined chamber were more Aviator Swats, the Neo Metal series, White Bishop and Red Knight.

“Continuing transmitting message from central controller,” said Red Knight.

“Some of my most dangerous enemies all in one place,” Viktor Robotnick said from Red Knight. “I can practically ensure the triumph of the Robotnick Ascendancy with a single coordinated barrage! All units, open fire!”

“Wait!” yelled Snively. “Regina and I are still down here!”

“GRAVITY BIND!”

The robots came crashing to the ground as a dark energy pulled at them. The Freedom Fighters were all also pulled to the ground by a sudden crushing weight.

“UGH!” yelled Sonic. “Can’t speed up! Feels like I went on a chili dog bender for two days straight!”

“YES! I can feel it now!” said Specter. “The elementals have spread far enough that there is no mind on the planet out of my reach! The time has come for the Grand Design to be complete; my perfect vessel will let me take him willingly and all Mobians and Overlanders will become my followers!”

“You can’t listen to him!” yelled Elise. “Whatever he says remember that your will is your own!”

“That’s where you’re wrong princess,” said Specter. “Not only will they know the truth, but they will also know something I never revealed before, how the folly of you humans had brought it about because you were created from a universe made apart from Ixis’ Grand Design!”

Suddenly Sonic could only see Specter’s mask covered face fill his mind.

{All minds on this world, the elementals you see before you are allowing me to send this message to you telepathically. I am Specter, the chosen messenger of Ixis. Fear not what I say for it is the truth Ixis wishes me to impart upon your hearts and minds. The truth of how this world came truly came to be in its current form, and the place of all mortals in it.}

Sonic tried to fight back but the presence was overwhelming. He tried to push it out with his precious memoires when one seemed to force its way forward.

“Sonic listen to me! Don’t let Specter deceive you! Remember what the Titans did for this world, that’s to only way to…!”

“What Tikal?!” said Sonic. “Only way to what?!”

{It is also a story,} Specter continued. {The story of a man who was my vessel, a man who turned his suffering into the seeds that would sprout from the corpse his world and blossom into the one you call Mobius. Listen to tale of Doctor Oboro Kuroishi and how he found himself to be one of the last remaining humans on Earth…}

Chapter 23: Specter Unmasked

Summary:

The forbidden truth is revealed as in the distant past a lone scientist makes unprecedented discoveries, tries to thwart a conspiracy and must survive a deadly event. What will this mean for Sonic and his friends?

Chapter Text

“Just like how a musician can express herself through singing, an artist can express himself by putting color on canvas or an writer expresses himself by committing words to paper or data storage our cells can express themselves by activating or repressing genes in their DNA. We all start from a single fertilized cell that eventually divides into copies, the copies all possess the same DNA but by turning various genes on and off they eventually differentiate into neurons, muscle cells, epithelium, endothelium and every other kind of cell in the body, this is true not just for humans but all multicellular life.”

Oboro was starting to tell he was beginning to lose the few potential investors who came to the lecture, so he went on to his point.

“My colleagues and I have discovered ways to ‘trigger’ these epigenetic changes. Think of it, by taking samples from any cell in the body we can craft replacement organs by turning the right genes on or off, the right genes expression can increase muscle mass without the use of steroids, the limits are nearly endless. By providing funding into research to discover specific triggers you can get in on the ground floor of the biggest revolution of genetic engineering since CAS-9 CRISPER and the gene drive…”

“Haven’t your colleagues already made a start up in this field Dr. Kuroishi?” asked one woman. “One that had a majority stake bought by one of the world’s largest pharmaceutical firms?”

Oboro had his train of thought rerailed. “I…had to leave that endeavor because I was uncomfortable with some of the proposed…applications they wanted to use our research for.”

“So, this wouldn’t be the ground floor,” the potential investor said. “It would be direct competition with a larger company that already holds the patents on your research, and you are promising to do less with it than they are.”

“There’s enough room in the procedure that would allow us to avoid violating the patent and by advertising the ethical standards of our research…”

“Unless you can make this process cheap enough for the masses advertising ethics isn’t going to bring in enough buyers.”

Oboro clutched his lectern. “I’m sure with enough time I can lower the costs to…”

The woman got up. “With how volatile the market’s been these days, time is a commodity no one can afford to give doctor.” She and the few investors that came started to leave the conference room.

“Wait! I genuinely believe my epigenetic research can be the beginning of…”

The last investor had left the room, Oboro sighed as he fell to knees. These American investors were his last hope, he spent the last of his savings on this trip, renting conference rooms in a cheap hotels then preparing his pitch and it’s coming to nothing. He knew right away that the problem was he was a scientist and not a salesman, he was just so much better at finding solutions than convincing people to accept them. He’d be fine just working anonymously at a university, but he had a wife and daughter to think of after dealing with both his and his wife’s late parents last expenses. If he were a less scrupulous man he’d have just stayed with the old startup and money wouldn’t be a problem, but he wanted to make medicine and more resilient foods, not bioweapons and super soldiers. Now it was looking increasingly likely he would have to fly back to Tokyo empty handed.

“Forget them and forget your old jobs,” said a figure who was standing in the corner of the room unnoticed until then. “University or private sector your talents would just be wasted.” From the shadows stepped a man with a beard and a dark suit.

“Helping my fellow man is a waste?” Oboro answered. “Just who are you!?”

“The way you have been is when my employer can let you do more for humanity than you can imagine. My name is Stone, Agent Stone. I represent a man who has significant pull in the international scientific community, he has formed a team of top scientists for a special project funded by several major countries for UNESCO and he has selected you to be their head geneticist.”

“Why am I his first choice?”

Stone chuckled. “He calculated that you’d have the best qualifications while having the most availability and your current financial situation makes rejecting this position remote.”

“Surely no man can calculate that much about someone they don’t know.”

“Then you never heard of Doctor Ivan Kintobor.”

Oboro felt himself losing balance. “Why would a project headed by the world’s foremost cyberneticist need an expert in genetic engineering?”

“Not just a cyberneticist, he has five PHD’s across varied fields. Honestly, I think he’s the most brilliant man who has ever lived and if he thinks you are the best man for the job then it’s because you are.”

“This doesn’t have anything to do with weapons because if it does…”

“The professor has authorized me to inform you that the position does not involve weapon development of any kind. I’m afraid that is all I can tell you until you sign this.” Stone took out a clipboard with a legal document. “It’s special form of NDA asking you not to disclose the nature of your work until a majority of the governments on the UN Security Council agree to declassify it, your own government has agreed to enforce it and all nations involved agreed that anyone breaking this NDA would be considered to commit an act of treason against their government punishable with a fine of up to one million dollars American and up to twenty-five years in prison.”

Oboro read through, the papers seemed legitimate. “Is that a threat?”

“I am also authorized to tell you that by taking the position you will be given a six-figure annual salary, full benefits and after you’ve finished full funding for your next project, for five years.”

Oboro could feel his balance going again. “It still seems pretty shady…”

“I understand, it’s a big decision. Why don’t you take some time to think it over, a couple of months, talk it over with the missus and if you decide to take us up on our offer call the number on this card.” Stone handed Oboro a business card. “Once you do, I’ll take our private jet to pick you up at the nearest airport with a nice hot latte and the contract waiting for you. If you choose not to take us up on it, which the doctor ensures me you won’t, just throw the card away and you’ll never see me again.”

Dr. Kuroishi began gathering his notes, internally telling himself should throw the card away at the first opportunity, Kintobor or not it was feeling like a bad idea. “I’ll think about it.”

“Eh, don’t go just yet. Just for listening to me the Professor wanted you to have this, no strings attached.” Stone handed over an envelope, Oboro opened it to find several one-hundred-dollar bills. “That should cover the expenses of this little failed endeavor, plus some extra to buy little Suki-chan a present for her seventh birthday.”

Oboro shut the envelope. “How did…”

“The professor didn’t earn five PHDs without learning how to research subjects that interest him. He’s looking forward to working with you.”

After Stone left Oboro took care of packing and checkout and began walking to the airport to try his next pitch in another city. On the way he noticed a small pet shop, Stone was right about one thing when he’d get home in a little over a month it would be his daughter’s birthday. He wasn’t about to give up just yet, but his little girl deserved something special for being a good girl while he was away for so long and if he got her that something special now, he could get all the paperwork to allow him to bring it on the same plane. Making up his mind and envelope in hand he opened the pet shop door causing a small bell to ring.


Forty days later in Tokyo, Oboro opened the door to the modest apartment he and his family called home.

“Papa-san!” said little girl who came up and hugged Oboro’s leg.

“Suki-chan! You got so big!”

“I missed you Papa-san!”

“I missed you too!” Oboro looked around. “Where’s mama?”

“Here Oboro,” a lovely woman came out from an adjacent room with a small distinct baby bump.

“Keiko you’re…!”

“Surprise!”

“Mama got me a little sister for my birthday!” Suki shouted. “A little sister and a jump rope!”

Oboro felt his knees buckle, he was happy but his efforts in America didn’t go well and soon they would have another mouth to feed. “I…A baby, another baby, oh Keiko I love you!”

Keiko however then looked worried. “Is there something you want to tell me?”

Oboro knew he had to be honest, but this would be too much for Suki. His answer came from a little squeak in his bags. “Oh right, I almost forgot! I have a present for you too Suki-chan!”

He went through his bags. “Since you’re going to be a big sister soon, I think this will be good for you.” Oboro took out a small clear box with wood shavings in the bottom and a small animal covered in little quills. “I found him in a shop in America, he’s an animal called a hedgehog.”

Suki smiled at as the hedgehog touched the edge of his container with paw as if to say hello. “Kawaii! Can I touch him?!”

“If you’re gentle the quills aren’t that sharp, if you take good care of him then being a good big sister will be easy.”

“I will Papa-san!” Suki gently picked the hedgehog up and softly touched his quills. “They feel like little needles!” She then looked the hedgehog in the eye. “Hari-kun! Your name is Hari-kun!”

Hari made another squeak.

“Suki-chan why don’t we set up his habitat in your room and then you two can play while Mama and I have some grownup talk.”

“Ok Papa-san!”

Later that night Oboro told Keiko about Agent Stone’s “offer”.

“I don’t see what the problem is,” Keiko said as she rolled out the futon. “If it is a UN project, I doubt it’s weapon development. Kintobor-sensei seems to be very respectable and it’s good money, we’ll be able to afford college for both Suki-chan and the baby once they get through their exams.”

Oboro sat down on it next to his wife. “Then why all the secrecy? Stone-san practically threatened me not to say anything.”

“Maybe they just don’t want the research to be used for something bad, or maybe Stone-san is just a rude person.”

 “It all just seems too good to be true, there has to be some kind of catch.”

“Careful, like my grandmother always said, ‘a doubtful mind creates devils in the dark’. Once you become suspicious, everything is suspicious. The man I fell in love with always saw the good in people.”

Oboro sighed. “I-I’m just afraid with something this secretive, they won’t let me come home for a long time. I don’t want to miss Suki-chan and the baby growing up.”

“Even great minds like yours need respite, I’m sure they’ll let you come home often.”

Oboro sighed once more. “Doesn’t matter anyway, I threw the card away. I’m sorry.”

Keiko got up and walked to the door. “Wait here, I have a surprise for you.”

“Keiko, I’m don’t feel up to it tonight. My jetlag is still bad and…”

Keiko burst out in laughter. Oboro felt at ease immediately at the most beautiful sound to him. “Oh still having lewd thoughts about me? Good, that means I don’t look old yet. No, a package for you came while you were in America, just let me get it for you.”

Keiko came back with a small brown cardboard box and a utility knife. Oboro looked at the box’s label. “The return address is a post office box in Dubai with no name, I never met anybody from Dubai or the middle east in general.”

Oboro used the knife to cut open the tape keeping the box closed inside was just some packing material and a plain metal mask, no letter, no receipt, no explanation.

“If this is a prank, I don’t see the punchline.” Oboro held the mask against his face and turned to Keiko. “What do you think? Does this make me more handsome?”

Keiko’s beautiful laugh rang out again as she playfully took the mask away. “Silly, how can it make you handsome if it keeps me from seeing your face!?”

Oboro laughed with her before putting the mask back in the box. “We’ll figure out what to do with it in the morning, the mask and my worries can wait till then.”

Later that night…

“Take it…”

Oboro woke with a start. He knew he heard a voice, he then brushed it off as a dream. Feeling wide awake and not wanting to disturb his wife he decided to go to the kitchen to make some herbal tea to help him back to sleep. Next to the front door was the coat he wore most of the trip and the box on a table. Oboro first looked at the mask in the box then noticed something in the coat pocket, he reached in and pulled out Agent Stone’s business card, with so many stops after buying Hari he must have lost track of it and didn’t toss it away like he thought.

“Take it…”

Oboro looked to mask again and picked it up. Looking through the eyeholes in the blank face the geneticist had feeling of… clarity. Oboro placed the mask down on a counter and picked up the phone before dialing the number on the card. It only took one ring before someone answered.

“Agent Stone.”

Oboro picked up the mask again and looked at it. “Stone-san, this is Oboro Kuroishi. Tell Kintobor-sensei I’m in.”

“I will, pack for a long trip and be at Tokyo International in the next forty-eight hours. I’ll call when I’ve landed with a hanger number, meet me there, the paperwork and latte will be waiting. I’ll tell the professor the good news.”

Stone hung up.

Oboro packed the mask back in the box. He made a note that after telling Keiko and Suki the good news that he should get a display stand for his new good luck charm.


After two days of preparation, signing the paperwork, a ten-hour plane flight, and a two-hour helicopter flight to the middle of a forest Doctor Kuroishi and Agent Stone arrived at hidden compound. Waiting for them was a bald man in a lab coat with a large black moustache and steely grey eyes, next to him a bipedal robot with a gun serving as one of its arms.

“Doctor Kuroichi,” the man said. “Allow me some introductions, I am Doctor Ivan Kintobor, this machine is a modified Alpha 100 series made by a collaboration between Professor Clarke and Doctor Niven, we call him Isaac. Welcome to Area Zero.”

Oboro made a respectful bow. “It is an honor to have the chance to work with a scientist of your reputation Kintobor-sensei.”

“Likewise, Agent Stone will direct the base personnel to bring your belongings to your dormitory and office. In the meantime, I’ll introduce you to two other additions to our Area Zero family before we begin the tour of the facility.”

Ivan and Issac led Oboro to a mess hall where a fair skinned man with blonde hair and a brown skinned woman with black hair and a red bindi on her forehead sat at one of the tables.

“Doctor Kuroishi this is Doctor Absalom Wolf and Doctor Ratee Dawan, Doctor Wolf and Doctor Dawan this is Doctor Oboro Kuroishi.”

“A pleasure to meet you,” said Absalom offering a handshake. “What is your field of expertise?”

Oboro accepted Absolom’s hand. “Genetics, and yours?”

“Astrophysics, not exactly next-door neighbors.”

“Even further from mine,” said Ratee. “I’m a linguist, not entirely sure what sort of work combines social and life sciences with physics and engineering.”

“Which makes brings us to our tour,” said Ivan. “Now I could show you all the military equipment the guards here have, offices, dormitories, recreational facilities or the state of the labs you will be working in, or we can cut to the chase and I can show what it is we’re all doing here.”


After an elevator ride Oboro would have insisted went a least a kilometer down the doors opened to a large chamber that was converted into a combination warehouse, hanger and open lab. In the middle was a space craft about the size of the private jet used in part of the journey surrounded both by people and robots like Isaac.

“Mien Gott,” Absolom said in awe. “Is that what I think it is?”

“It landed nearby about three months ago,” said Ivan. “A signal was intercepted about a week beforehand, and a multinational team assembled at the point it was being directed at, I was the head scientist of that group. We found the ship came in on autopilot, there was one occupant, but it was already deceased by the time we came in after which point the craft was relocated to this former nuclear missile base which was converted for our needs.”

Ratee stepped closer to the site of the ship. “You want me to help translate their language? I…I don’t know where to start.”

“We already have their numbering system figured out thanks to our resident mathematician, hopefully that should get you a head start Doctor Dawan.”

Oboro took the whole of the craft in. “And the alien cadaver, you still have it? What do we know about it?”

“The body is stored right next to your lab Doctor Kuroishi. We found they are an aquatic lifeform; the whole of the interior was flooded with sea water that was almost identical to our own. No vocal cords so we assume they communicate through some sort of extra sensory perception or telepathy to use the layman’s term.”

“I can’t wait to see it’s genetic code.”

“And what am I supposed to be doing Herr Doktor?” asked Absolom.

“You were supposed to supplement Professor Clarke on the team studying the craft’s propulsion and navigation systems, but in the last thirty-six hours the craft had begun receiving a signal.”

“This deep underground?”

“The equipment is that advanced. The signal wasn’t being picked up by what we identified as the communication system, but by the sensor suite. There’s something in space it detected the aliens felt was so important that it triggered a ship wide alert, something that we haven’t identified, that’s your new project Doctor Wolf.”

“A mystery in a mystery, I’ll have to see the readouts.”

“You can all begin tomorrow, right now Isaac will continue the tour and let you get situated. As for me it’s nearly time for my daily progress report with the Secretary General.”

As the team began to leave the chamber Oboro began to realize why so much secrecy was needed. If proof of the existence of extraterrestrials got out before they got enough information for the pubic it would cause a global panic. Oboro for one would do the best he could to prevent that.

After the tour was finished Oboro began stocking his new office with his books and other decorations before moving into his dorm. He first placed a framed photo he took with Keiko, Suki and Hari before he left on the desk and on the other side a stand on which he placed his “good luck charm”. Once his work got out, he realized the name Oboro Kuroishi would be immortalized, as renowned in genetics as Gregor Mandel himself, and he had the courage he got from this strange gift to thank for it. Oboro turned and was about to close the office door before going to settle in for the night.

“He lies…”

Oboro opened the door again and looked at the mask, it continued to sit there silently. Oboro reminded himself he had a busy day and needed sleep, turned off the lights and shut the door.


About a month later Oboro had been pursuing what had become a daily ritual of having breakfast with Ratee and Absolom.

“And they just installed it in your lab?” Ratee said. “An alien device that can grow any genetic sample into a full clone?”

“That’s what me and the technicians determined,” said Oboro. “The real kicker is that the gestation chamber could make it mature within weeks, much faster than it could naturally.”

“What would something like that be doing on that ship?”

“That’s what we’re still trying to figure out. Kintobor-sensei says the UN is extremely interested in the results, we’ll test it with microorganisms first and if that’s successful they want an animal test within a month. I was hoping you’d help me choose the subject to use for that test, they gave me samples from every known species on Earth and I figured you’d both would play a game with me to pick the winner from some finalists.

“Mmm-hmm,” Absolom said without looking up from his tablet while drinking his coffee.

“I’ll read out the genus and species from these test tubes of saline suspended DNA and Ratee you have to give me it’s English name, once you do tell me what you think.”

“Sounds fun,” said Ratee.

“Mmm-Hmm,” Absolom still had his eyes glued to the tablet.

“Ok I’ll start, Sylvilagus floridanus.”

“Eastern cottontail rabbit,” said Ratee. “Basic in experiments like this.”

“Neotamias ochrogenys.”

“Trying to trick me ha? That species is known by two names, the redwood or more common yellow-cheeked chipmunk. A bit unusual but still practically a lab rat.”

“Accipiter gularis.”

“Feeling homesick? The Japanese sparrowhawk, ok a bird of prey is a more unusual choice.”

“Delphinidae Tursiops.”

“Bottlenose dolphin. I don’t think they’ll give you a swimming pool for that one.”

“Elephas maximus.”

“Asian Elephant, I remember riding on one as child, better move it to a bigger lab.”

“Thylacinus cynocephalus.”

“Tasmanian Tiger?! You can really bring a species back from extinction, the zoological society would bow in reverence to you.”

“Two more to go, Draco Europa.”

Ratee’s eyes became dinner plates. “European Dragon?!”

Absolom spat coffee all over his tablet. “Vaht?! No way that’s right!”

Absolom took the test tube and the labeling was exactly what Oboro said it was. The geneticist then waved another test tube in front of him. “Here’s its oriental cousin.”

“Someone’s got to be pulling a prank on you,” said Ratee. “Dragons are a myth.”

“Why not put this in then and see what comes out, may have to fireproof the lab first.”

“This is no joking matter!” said Absolom as he wiped the coffee off his tablet. “This place is full of secrets and not just to the public!”

The physicist’s tone was dead serious.

“Did something happen?” asked Ratee.

Absolom gestured for them to come in closer. “Two somethings,” he whispered. “You know that energy wave I’ve been trying to identify for the last month? The instruments detecting it have been reacting more often. Whatever it is it’s getting closer to Earth. Slower than a gamma ray burst but faster than a solar flare, by my calculations it should get here within twenty-four hours. When I told Doctor Kintobor about it he said, ‘precautions have been taken’ and left it at that.”

“That’s it? But what if it’s dangerous?”

“It might be Ratee. You managed to translate a few words of the written language, right?”

“Yes, we even determined the name the aliens had for themselves, Xorda.”

Absolom brought out a readout on his tablet. “Can you tell what if any of these words mean?”

Ratee looked over the alien writing. “Just one, ‘chaos’.”

“Ok,” said Oboro. “That’s disturbing, but what was the other thing?”

“I’ve been looking into the original team who was at the landing site, except for Doctor Kintobor, Agent Stone and the commanding personnel of the military here everyone involved had since disappeared.”

“Not Professor Clarke,” said Ratee. “I saw him last week; he was going on leave to visit his brother.”

“I called Professor Clarke’s brother last time I went to town. I wanted to ask the professor a question about the sensor suite, his brother told me Clarke never arrived.”

“What are you saying?” asked Oboro. “That they’ve been abducted?”

“Nien, my fears were confirmed last night. I went out to the woods to do some stargazing, maybe find a clue to whatever this signal is when a man came to me looking like he was living off the woods for weeks. I recognized him from the personnel files, it was Doctor Niven.”

Absolom put a SD card on the table.

“He gave this to me; said he made a terrible mistake. Told me to get the video to the press and if Isaac comes for me the card can allow a wireless override, access code six-six-omega-one.”

“What’s on it?” asked Ratee.

“I don’t know yet, but they might be onto me. Before I could press him further Niven ran back into the woods, then I heard sounds coming from the same direction and I hid, a minute later Isaac walked by, the barrel of his gun arm was smoking.”

“Vishnu protect us,” gasped Ratee.

“I can’t get back to town without alerting the guards and all mail and internet use is monitored, I have no way to bring this to the press. You both started here the same day I did, you’re the only ones I can trust. There is more to the arrival of this Xorda than they’ve let on, we have to find out what. What was Kintobor doing?”

“He lies…”

“Insert the card into your tablet,” said Oboro. “Take it off the wifi, it’s too risky to see it now we need a spot without cameras people hardly go into.”

“There’s a maintenance corridor near my office,” said Ratee. “A few entrances but hardly used and easy to spot someone coming, I use it to when I need a cigarette break.”

“Alright, we’ll meet there during lunch,” said Absolom. “Keep a low profile until then, don’t talk to anyone you don’t need to.”

Oboro went about his morning in the usual manner, trying to make it seem like everything was normal. He entered his lab and found one Alpha 100 series he was given to help in basic tasks holding an eye dropper over some petri dishes.

“What are you doing?! Those bacteria cultures have been spliced with the alien DNA to keep a living stock for experiments! Now I have to make a whole new batch!”

“A new directive was given to this facility by the UN security council,” the robot answered. “All experiments have been cancelled and labs are to be sterilized in preparation of the evacuation of the facilities’ science staff.”

“Evacuation!? Was there an accident or something!?”

“All queries are to be addressed by Doctor Ivan Kintobor at an assembly scheduled for 1500 hours local time.”

Oboro saw as the robot released the sterilizing agent at the few remaining cultures but noticed that the purple bacteria had moved away from were the clear drops landed and crowded the edges until the solution had spread over the whole dish. Each time the cultures reacted faster and faster, but to no avail until they stopped moving altogether.

“What the…?” He then shook his head. “I’m going to start packing things from my office in preparation for evac.” He told the robot.

“Acknowledged.”

Oboro left for his office and began placing some things into a box to keep up the act. Seeing the picture of his family he placed it in an interior pocket of his lab coat. “Keiko, Suki-chan, whatever this is I’ll come home to you.”

Take me…

Oboro looked at the mask on it’s display stand. “And having my lucky charm with me will make sure of it.”

When the time came, he found the maintenance hall Ratee mentioned and found her and Absolom.

“Alright,” said Absolom. “Let’s see what Niven was so desperate for someone else to see.”

The card held the backdoor program to control Issac and a large video file. Playing the file, they saw as the ship they saw in the converted mine touch down while Ivan, Stone and several others watched.

The door opened on its own and a tank lowered holding jellyfish like creature with a purple brain shaped head, over a dozen pink tentalces and single yellow eye. It was the dead Xorda Oboro saw daily, only here it was very much alive.

Absolom scowled. “So, the doktor was hiding something.”

“Why is this so quiet?” Oboro asked.

“I think it’s because they’re listening to the Xorda,” said Ratee. “Telepathy wouldn’t be caught on tape.”

The silence in video was broken by Ivan Kintobor.

“Agent Stone.”

“Understood sir,” the next instant Ivan’s attendant drew a high powered taser and shot it at the tank. The electrodes penetrated the surface sending enough voltage to cause the alien to make something they could only describe as a scream before settling to the bottom.

“What the hell Ivan?!” said one scientist.

“That’s Doctor Niven,” said Absolom.

“You heard what it was asking,” said Doctor Kinobor. “Do you think the populace of the entire planet would agree to that? Do you believe the Xorda would take no for an answer? This is was the most rational course of action.” Ivan turned to a decorated officer. “Secure the craft and the alien General, we’ll take them back to the base.”

The general turned to his men. “You heard the doctor; this is his show, any order he gives comes from me.”

“Yes sir!” said the soldiers before moving to the ship and tank.

Another scientist came to Ivan. “Even if we can hide this from the public, it was sent on a mission. Sooner or later the rest of them are going to come looking for it, and I don’t think they’ll be as subtle as they were this time.”

“Which is why we’re going to start work immediately Professor Clarke,” said Ivan. “When the Xorda do arrive, they’ll find we’ll no longer be as technologically backward as they expect.”

The video changed to the inside of one of the laboratories, the Xorda was being kept in a tank when Doctor Kintobor approached it. “I’m getting tired of these little chats ‘friend’, your ship and it’s technology told us much, but technology can only take us so far. What are capabilities of the weapons the Xorda possess? What tactics and strategies do they employ? What is the size of their fleet?”

The Xorda just stared back, but while watching the footage Oboro could tell it was saying something to Ivan and from Ivan’s face it wasn’t what he wanted to hear.

“Haven’t you learned what threats get you by now?”

Ivan pulled a lever; the water was electrified and another alien scream. Ivan returned it to the original position stopping the current.

“Ivan this is getting us nowhere,” said Doctor Niven. “Even if we do get it to talk, under duress like this it could lie to either set us up or just to make the pain stop. I want to protect the Earth too, but it poses no threat to us right now, all we’re accomplishing here is needless cruelty.”

“Doctor Niven has a point,” said Professor Clarke. “The Hidden City project is underway; we have advanced human technology by at least two hundred years, and we have a hostage to negotiate with. Maybe it’s time to cut our losses, perhaps if we release it as a sign of good faith the casualties will be kept to a minimum.”

Doctor Kintobor kept looking at the Xorda. “Interesting hypothesis let’s run an experiment then. Are they right my squishy ‘friend’? If we let you go now, apologize for your treatment and offer recompense how would your people react?”

If looks could kill the Xorda’s glare would have burned through the glass and the humans on the other side.

“You heard it yourselves gentlemen,” said Ivan. “You see what kind of lifeform we’re dealing with, there’s only one rational course of action.” Ivan turned to a nearby robot. “Issac tell the biolab to prepare for dissection, this alien will tell us some weaknesses of it’s kin, albeit through it’s innards rather than its mind.”

“Acknowledged,” said the robot.

“Ivan this is wrong!” Niven pleaded.

Professor Clarke came up. “Doctor Kintobor, are you sure this worth risking our careers and prison over?”

Doctor Kintobor put his hand on the lever again. “The Security Council and the Secretary General told us to do whatever it takes to ensure humanity’s survival. But if you’re worried about risk reformat Ishmael’s memory. He is the only robot with a full record of what happened, with that gone we can just say the alien was dead when we found it.”

Doctor Niven came up to the camera which now clearly belonged to another robot. “…Don’t worry Ivan, I’ll make sure this data is handled properly…”

Doctor Kintobor threw the lever again and left it, the Xorda screamed again as Doctor Niven reached around the back of the camera before the video turned to static.

“Mien Gott,” said Absolom. “The man is insane.”

“They’re coming,” said Ratee. “The people of Earth have no idea; we have to warn them.”

Agent Stone’s voice came echoing down the corridor. “Doctor Wolf! I need to have a word with you!”

Absolom put his tablet in Oboro’s hands. “You two take this and go. They’re evacuating the staff, smuggle this out of here and find a newspaper, tv network or post it on the internet! Whatever you do make sure people know about this, it could be the only way to stop an interstellar war! They’re already onto me, I’ll try to buy you time.”

“Come with us Wolf-san!” said Oboro. “Three stand a better chance than two!”

“They know about me but not you, if they think this died with me then you’ll be safer and more likely to succeed for it. Now go!”

Oboro and Ratee went down the opposite end of the corridor and turned a corner. A short time later a couple of gunshots rung out.

“Absolom!” Ratee gasped.

“There’s nothing we can do for him now,” said Oboro. “Once we get out of the corridor blend in with staff until we evacuate. We’ll figure things out from there.”

Metallic footsteps came from around a corner ahead as Stone’s footsteps echoed from behind.

“No!” said Oboro. “There’s nowhere to hide!”

Ratee had a tear fall from her eye. “I’m sorry Oboro. Don’t move, don’t breathe.”

“Dawan-san, what are you…?”

Suddenly Ratee opened an electrical cabinet and shoved Oboro inside before closing the door. It was a very tight fit, but the door managed to close all the way. Oboro was never squeezed so tight in his life, the only light was from three narrow slits in the door that didn’t offer a view of what was going on outside.

“Doctor Dawan,” said Agent Stone. “What’s a pretty thing like you doing in a dingy place like this?”

Oboro held his breath for dear life.

“You caught me Agent Stone,” said Ratee. “My dirty little secret, I come here so I come so I can smoke without having to go all the way up to the surface.”

“I know you’re a linguist, but you must know how smoking can kill you right?”

“A bad habit I picked up as a teenager, nothing worked for me so far.”

“You know what’s also a bad habit? Telling lies. I don’t have a silencer so if you’re here you had to have heard me give Doctor Wolf the old double tap.”

It took all Oboro’s willpower not to burst out and tackle the murderer. “Dawan-san, I’m sorry.”

“Agent Stone…”

“I really don’t want to do this, plugging a pretty thing like you. But I have a duty to finish, Doctor Kintobor’s mind is too valuable to humanity.”

The two gunshots left Oboro’s ears ringing, he felt small hot sticky drops of blood come through the tiny vents and onto his face.

“This is Stone,” the agent said. “I have neutralized Doctors Wolf and Dawan. You were right as usual; he already found an accomplice.”

“What about Doctor Kuroishi?” Doctor Kintobor said from the other side of a radio. “He was close to Dawan and Wolf.”

“No sign, I can begin a sweep of the floor before…”

“No time we had to accelerate the evac. Head to the surface and find Kuroishi there. Once he’s disposed of get on the chopper and head to Hidden City seventeen.”

“You can still pin it on me sir. Tell the Xorda I panicked, shot their emissary and you dissected the body to learn more. I’ll take whatever they give me if it means the Earth can still benefit from your magnificent brain.”

“We both know that they’ll never settle for that, all we can do now is ease the transition. It’s going to be a hard period for those in the hidden cities, everyone will have lost someone. Order must be maintained and I’m counting on you to maintain what order you can. I have to stay here and monitor the fallout; I’ve taken precautions to be able to return once the dust settles.”

“Mission accepted sir, let me just say it was an honor and a privilege working with you.”

“I’m going to miss your lattes, thank you for all your years of service.”

Oboro waited until he could no longer hear Stone’s footsteps before leaving the cabinet. After catching his breath, he looked around to find Daytee’s body had already been taken away.

“They’re looking for me,” he said just to hear a friendly voice. “What am I going to do now?

“Confront him…confront the one responsible…”

Oboro took the mask out of his pocket. “’A doubtful mind makes devils in the dark’, right Keiko? Well, I don’t know what this devil is but it hasn’t lead me wrong so far. It is only way I have back to you, time to have a chat with Kintobor-sensei.”


Ivan was working over a tube-like device; Ivan was standing nearby watching closely. “The Xorda could be here within hours, once I am in stasis you are to observe the surface until conditions return to normal.”

Oboro came into the room. “Kintobor-sensei.”

Isaac powered up his weapon.

“Isaac, stand down,” Ivan said. The robot obeyed. “If you don’t hurry Doctor Kuroishi you’re going to miss your flight.”

Oboro threw Absolom’s tablet on a nearby table. It was playing the video he and Ratee gave their lives to keep safe.

Doctor Kintobor sighed. “Yet another irrational response, you’re all supposed to be scientists for Einstein’s sake!”

“No science can justify murder!” snarled Oboro. “Mankind since ancient times has asked ‘are we alone?’, the answer to that question came and you killed it in cold blood!”

“You make it sound like it was a little green man who said, ‘I come in peace, take me to your leader’. Let me set your mind at ease, the Xorda are an aggressive species that conquer worlds for their own benefit.”

“Kill them before they kill us, what’s the point of going to the stars if we just keep repeating the same mistakes we do down here?”

“It wasn’t like that, but it is similarly simple, at least if you had an intellect like mine. The Xorda sent an emissary to offer humanity an alliance.”

If anything, Oboro was more confused. “An alliance?”

“They’d share their technology with us if we would lend manpower and resources in planned invasions of other worlds to expand their empire. Once it presented this offer, I knew there were only three courses of action to take. The Xorda’s warmongering nature would upset the moral sensibilities of the majority of the planet, the result? World War III, which would end with the Xorda then taking what they want once they realized we weren’t united as a species. Rejecting the offer would have similar results, even with guerrilla warfare we simply could not match their technology. That left the most rational option given the circumstances, take their technology and use it to defend ourselves. We still wouldn’t be able to beat them, but we could make taking Earth so costly that the reward wouldn’t be worth the effort.”

Oboro tried to find something, anything to argue back. Then he remembered the bacteria with the Xorda DNA in his lab and started laughing. “You had so many people murdered, to keep this a secret, to give us the element of surprise when the Xorda came. It’s funny, it’s funny because it was all a waste. They knew! They knew the moment you had Stone-san attack their emissary!”

“Doctor Kuroishi speculations like that..”

“It’s not speculation! I saw it! The bacteria I laced with Xorda DNA, they anticipated when the antibacterial was introduced into their petri dishes! They began avoiding it until they realized escape was impossible! The Xorda aren’t like you or me, the whole species functions like a single being! They experienced you torturing and killing one of their own! They will want revenge!”

“Are you suggesting I hand myself over to them? That my death will placate them?!”

Oboro continued to laugh. “You still don’t get it! Cognitive bias! We operate as if everything works for others like it would for ourselves, it’s a survival mechanism. The Xordas’ cognitive bias would lead them not to think it was you or Stone who attacked them, but the entire human race because they think in their position we’d do the same thing! Your ‘rationally’ thought out plan has made every man, woman and child on earth their enemy. They won’t stop at enslavement or conquest; you’ve condemned us all to extinction!”

Ivan just continued working. “Humanity will survive, the United Nations was working on preparing for the Xorda’s attack the moment I informed them of the invader’s nature. Using robots of my design they are constructing cities around the world. Cities that house a million people each, that are shielded from the outside world and fitted with defensive technologies we derived from the Xorda craft. For months now they’ve been selecting individuals with the skills needed for humanity’s survival and sheltering them there. Today the existence of the Xorda and the cities will have been announced and a larger scale settlement has begun. I’ll be safe here as well; this base is guarded with the same technology and once in cryogenic suspension I can provide aid when the time is right.”

Oboro felt cold. “What about the people outside?!”

“Casualties could not have been avoided in any scenario. The death toll will be in the billions, no doubt the planet will be ravaged, perhaps stripped of rescoures. But in time the Xorda will leave thinking we are extinct, if other worlds fight back, they will have to spend resources there.  Once that happens humanity will reemerge and rebuild, a better stronger world and the next time they come we will be ready for them.”

“Billions are going to die, and you act like it is just another set of data. Each of those people have others close to them! They have parents, spouses, children…” Oboro gasped. “Keiko, Suki-chan!” He picked up the tablet then ran out of the room.

Ivan just shook his head. “Why can’t people, human or alien, be rational?”


Oboro was nearly in his office when he heard a voice in his mind, it wasn’t like his “devil in the dark”, this one was loud and clear.

“People of Earth, the Xorda speak. The Xorda extended to you a lesser place in the Xorda Empire, but a place all the same and you respond with an attack on the emissary. You behave like an animal and so an animal is what you will become. The gene bombs of the Xorda will remove sapience from you, you will now be as the lesser beasts while the Xorda will claim your world for the Xorda Empire. Make your peace, the judgement of the Xorda has come!”

“No, it can’t end like this!” Oboro said. “Keiko, Suki-chan, I don’t want you to be apes!”

“The fate of this world is chaos…”

Oboro felt the ground shake, it was like an earthquake, but he knew Area Zero wasn’t on a faultline.

“Keiko, Suki-chan!”

Oboro burst into the office and set his computer to video conference with his home computer. “Please someone answer!”

Someone picked up on the other end. Keiko and Suki appeared on screen, the little girl holding her pet hedgehog.

“Papa-san?”

“Oboro, what was that voice all about? Volcanos are going off all over the world and everyone is panicking.”

“Keiko, Suki-chan! You both have to go to a place called a hidden city, I think they might have already mentioned…”

“We saw on the news,” said Keiko. “We’re still waiting to see if we’ve been approved…”

“Don’t wait just go!”

“Papa-san,” Suki said picking her pet up. “Hari-kun looks sick.”

Hari made a sort of moaning noise as it looked like he was sweating.

“Wait,” said Oboro. “Hedgehogs can’t sweat.”

“Something has gone wrong. The gene bombs have been altered. The Xorda can no longer claim this world so the Xorda will leave you to your fate!”

On screen a small bit of Hari’s skin seemed to melt off.

“Keiko, Suki-chan! Go, find somewhere safe!”

“Oboro, I don’t feel well…”

“I-I feel sick too papa-san…”

Keiko and Suki began showing the same symptoms as Hari. Then Oboro could only stand transfixed in horror as the apparent malady began to accelerate.

“KEIKO, SUKI-CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNN!!!!”

The shaking got more violent a bit of ceiling fell off and hit Oboro in the head leaving him in darkness.


“Wake up…your task is not complete. The world needs you to fulfill the Grand Design. Wake up…”

Oboro opened his eyes to a pounding headache. As soon as the pain began to clear he looked back up to the computer, the video conference software was still running but the only thing displayed was the message “disconnected”.

“No! Keiko, Suki-chan, anyone!”

No matter who he tried to call the result was the same. Trying to find out something, anything, he went to the elevator thankful that the base still had power at least. The surface was vastly different than when he came down from breakfast back in felt like an eternity ago, but his watch told him was a day and a half. Smoke and ash choked the air, the surrounding woods were reduced to blackened timbers some still burning, the buildings on the surface had been leveled or were missing pieces and the ground was covered in a layer of soupy material that had a smell like methane and formaldehyde. The wreckage of vehicles continued to burn, one was a helicopter that seemed to have crashed right after takeoff, in the wreckage was a fine black suit and a gun in a puddle like… what Keiko, Suki, Hari and the unborn baby became, like the soupy liquid that was everywhere.

Half in a daze, Oboro picked up the gun. “Stone-san…” he said just to hear a voice. “So, this was what all your loyalty got you. It might have even been admirable if the man you gave it to was worth it.” Oboro looked at the leafless trees and the strangely silent forest, noting an abandoned dog collar. “It wasn’t just humans then, plants and animals too. But the Xorda seemed surprised, what could…” he snapped his fingers. “Wolf-san’s energy wave, the thing the Xorda marked ‘chaos’ it must have made their attack go so wrong. Well, it was a fitting designation.”

He heard a rustling near the mess hall. Another survivor? Orobo went into the half-destroyed structure and two figures with his back to him. In the dark one seemed to one the soldiers who manned the base, the other looked a woman who was dressed like one of the lab technicians, both their clothes were in tatters. They both seemed to be trying to open a half-crushed refrigerator.

“You’re alive, there are survivors!”

The two turned to him, their eyes seemed crazed as they looked at him. He couldn’t quite tell in the dark, was something wrong with their hands?

“Monster!” the solder said. “They came back!”

“He’s not like us!” said the technician. “He’s helping them!”

As they came closer Oboro pointed the gun upward. “Stay back!” He fired a shot upward. The two crazed people instead went to a hole in the wall and ran out into the burning woods. “Wait! We can help each other!”

The two had already fled. Oboro wasn’t sure they were even human anymore. “Is it just me and the man who killed the world? Am I…am I alone?”

“No, you’ve never been alone since we bonded my vessel.”

Oboro pulled the mask out of his pocket, was he going crazy this whole time, was it all just a nightmare?

“My devil in the dark, I don’t know why this is happening but it’s past time for answers. Who are you?!”

“I am myself, a nameless spirit who has walked among your kind since the beginning of civilization.”

“You’re… some kind of ghost or specter?”

“Specter…I didn’t care if I had a name, but I guess I needed one sooner or later. Specter…is as good as any I suppose.”

“You sent the mask to me, to bring me here, you saved my life. Why?”

“You are still needed, only you can save life on Earth.”

“If you haven’t noticed Specter-san, it seems to be a little late for that. Maybe if you warned me earlier…”

“It would have changed nothing, humanity and the Xorda have something in common as does all life in the universe. You all seek to be the masters of your own destiny; this inevitably creates conflict. Among the animals the hunger of the predator conflicts with the survival of the prey, even among the plants the desire for water for one would conflict with the desire for water from another. Conflict in turn creates destruction and as life evolves so too does its capability for destruction until it outpaces life’s ability to withstand it, that is the fundamental flaw of this universe. But together we can begin to change that.”

“No, I refuse to believe that. I refuse to believe that intelligent beings would not be able to avoid their own destruction. The people in the hidden cities are safe.”

“The Xorda did not predict the arrival of chaos power to your world, you see the results of their folly all around you. This place should still be able to see the fate of such places, and the true magnitude of what has occurred.”

Oboro went back into the facility and went into what looked like a command room. Inside Isaac turned and pointed its gun on him. “I am continuing Doctor Kintobor’s instructions to monitor the environment, do not interfere or…”

“We can use it,” said Specter. “The override program.”

Oboro took out Absolom’s tablet and opened the program to a digital keypad. “Access code, six-six-omega-one.”

On receiving the code Isaac lowered the gun and stood at attention. “Code confirmed, awaiting further instructions.”

“For now, just let me see what we got here,” said Oboro as the went to the terminal. “We’re still getting satellite data; we can use that until their orbits decay. It looks like the cities were only partially filled, but withstood the attack, stratospheric aircraft also managed to survive, and some made it to the cities. There was also a significant uptick in geological and volcanic activity, not all the cities survived that, but it looks like there are more than enough people to ensure a stable genetic population, and with the Xorda gone now we can rebuild. The eruptions had ignited methane given off by the byproduct of the gene bombs, a firestorm that big I’m surprised we still have air to breathe. There’s a lot of volcanic ash and dust in the atmosphere, estimated time of dispersal…” Oboro felt a chill around his heart. “One thousand years.”

Oboro sank into a chair. “There’s not enough, even if they can grow enough food in the cities to feed everyone with no soil bacteria, they won’t be able to expand in time. When the ash clears there won’t be a viable ecosystem to sustain a human population long term without the cities establishing regular physical contact. All it would take is another big disaster to throw everything off and doom us all.”

“This is why you were chosen by the Grand Design, with your mind and my power to aide it we can let life flourish again.”

“I don’t know what power you’re talking about, but we can’t just make an ecosystem out of nothing! With the atmosphere the way it is no one in the cites can make it here and even if everyone left comes to help me all we have to work with is the equipment in this base, ruined earth and the organic sludge that used to be…”

Oboro then gasped in realization. “…organic material that still contains DNA! The conditions are close to when life first formed on Earth billions of years ago, the geothermic activity and lightning strikes can provide the energy, the problem is time, we don’t have billions of years.”

“You’re right, what we do have is your work.”

“My epigenetic trigger research can force the genes to express themselves in a particular way, a gene drive can force gene dominance in all that chaos…it’s not a plan yet, just an idea, but the greatest changes in human history start with an idea.”

“So Orobo, what is this idea of yours?”

Oboro smiled. “We’re going to jumpstart a whole new wave of evolution, and we’re going to find a way to make what took billions of years before happen in a fraction of that time!”

“That is your place in the Grand Design. The first step is to make sure the one who brought the world to this state cannot interfere.”

Orobo clenched his fist. “His family is probably already in the one of the cities, mine is gone. Once he emerges from his sleep, he’ll just bring his twisted thinking into a new era. With the control program I can make Isaac think he’s still taking orders from Kintobor.”

“Then you know what to do, take your vengeance.”

Oboro grabbed Stone’s gun and moved Specter’s mask to his face. “Not vengeance, justice.”


Once the grisly task was done Oboro began the real work, the robots that still functioned were an asset in rearranging the equipment, setting a hydroponic garden that can feed him and a system to make enough drinkable water to solve the first problem of survival. From then he focused entirely on the task making a new world. Recreating it exactly was out of the question, but he can use the building blocks left behind to make it viable for humans to thrive in.

After studying the alien cloning machine and several failed prototypes he was able to make genodrivers, biodegradable devices able to arrange and force genetic material to develop in a set pattern after introducing the DNA into “blank” cells. Now it was just a matter of making enough and having a suitable deployment method.

“The ICBM’s kept here should be able to provide planetary coverage for the genodrivers if we use enough,” Oboro said to Specter’s mask as he held it in his hand. He had grown an impressive beard in the last year, he also stank to high heaven, showers were a waste of precious water in these trying times. “Once the warheads are disarmed, we just have to have them self-destruct in the atmosphere and they’ll spread the drivers over hundreds of miles, we won’t even need the full supply of missiles.”

“It will still take time for the manufacturing equipment to create the full supply,” said Specter. “But we’ve made the needed steps in regard to the method.”

“Doesn’t mean we can slack off, now comes the real hard part. Establishing a stable genetic matrix for the genodrivers to arrange the primordial soup to produce. We can’t design every species, but with the genetic library we have consisting of every genetic sample available before the attack we should have all the tools we need to make a sustainable biosphere. It’s just going to take a long time, far longer than it will to make enough genodrivers.”

“Still, it is based on the same flawed foundation, clashing wills leading to destruction. Unless I can fulfill the Grand Design, we’ve only delayed the inevitable, in a few millennia mankind will come across the Xorda or another race whose desires will clash and destruction will ensue.”

“You keep mentioning this Grand Design to me but now that I think about it you never actually told me what it was.”

“I was created by Ixis, a being of immense power, in the terms you physical beings would best understand he is a god. Sadly, he is one who was unjustly imprisoned by beings more powerful than you can comprehend but were still his lesser by using trickery and numbers. Without his influence this universe was created flawed, but he sent me to carry out his Grand Design, his plan to prevent the otherwise inevitable end of all things.”

“Second law of thermodynamics, ‘everything trends to entropy’, It is one the most tested and verified physical laws discovered by science. We scientists tend to be skeptical without proof, I hate to say it Specter, but I don’t see how one ghost can change that.”

“I have been working for several lifetimes of man, and I still have a long way to go. I’m afraid you’ll never see the result but restoring life to this planet is an especially important step.”

“I wish you success, but I disagree with you on one aspect of your argument. Humans and other intelligent beings for that matter can find a way to live in peace if we have the will to do so.”

“That itself would create conflict, between those who desire peace and those who don’t. But even if you are right will your people have that desire? For the vast majority, their first impression of alien life was that their world was destroyed for the actions of a few. That story is going to be passed for generations, will being given a new one change that?”

“True, if only we first met a species that didn’t want our destruction…” Oboro then sat up with a jolt. “That’s it… we don’t need good aliens to just happen to stop by and show people there’s good out there, not when we can make the good aliens right here on Earth! I can set the Genodrivers to have a proportion of the animals we’re making evolve into a sapient species!”

“Again, you found your role in the Grand Design. Your creations, your ‘children’ as it were, are the key to fulling the will of Ixis.”

Orobo went to a computer terminal and started typing. “To ensure the best chance of success this new species will have to be adaptable to any circumstances. Human DNA in the mix is a must but we can’t rely on combining it with any one animal species to do the job. Instead, I’m going to use them all!”


Days passed, then months, then years. It was the most complex and challenging project Oboro would ever attempt, but over time he refined his design, until one day…

“There, the release candidate of Project Suki.” A display was cycling between humanoid versions of various animals. “They’re all designed to be compatible with one another, this will improve their odds of survival by an overwhelming amount and thanks to your knowledge of this ‘chaos energy’ that turned our potential devolution into Armageddon after enough generations have passed adapting to it, they should be able to utilize it in amazing ways.”

“Even after all this time you never named them,” said Specter. “In spite of the care you gave their design it was always just Project Suki.”

“We humans got to name ourselves, seems only fair they should be able to do the same. Besides, I never got the chance to name my second child, Suki was the most precious name to me and Keiko…” Oboro began a coughing fit.

“You overworked yourself again. Rest for now, delaying the launch by a day shouldn’t matter too much in the scale of the Grand Design.”

“Just one more thing before finalizing the genodriver’s program. You saw the survivors out in the wastes, helped me with your power to gather DNA samples from them, in a couple of generations they’ll all be sterile. Aggressive as they are, they were once human. I can’t let them die out, not when the genodrivers can fix that part of their DNA even if it’s too late for the rest of it. I just need to finish the genetic marker; it’ll have to be in everything the genodrivers are making to be sure we get maximum distribution…”

“Let me take over for that. I know your work and can handle programming the marker, you start resting your mind while I work your body for a few minutes before I take you to bed. Tomorrow is going to be the biggest day in your life.

Oboro brought the mask to his face. “Sure Specter-san. I can trust you my old friend.”

The scientist went to sleep for a second before his eyes opened again under the mask.

“Finally, now for the finishing touches to make Project Suki fall in line with the Grand Design.”

Specter brought up the program and made a few edits into the marker. “There, just because I learned everything you know Oboro doesn’t mean you learned everything I know. You’ll never be able to find that this is more than a one-time genetic fix for those devolved humans, but the means by which I can enact the Grand Design thousands of years from now.”

Specter saved and uploaded the program into the genodrivers then left the lab.

The next day Oboro watched the remaining missile in sight go higher in the atmosphere while keeping an eye on data being sent back to Absolom’s old tablet. They were all launched at different times and set to for a simultaneous detonation, years of hard work and loneliness were all culminating in one moment.

“Detonation in san…ni…ichi…”

The missile exploded, parting the volcanic ash long enough to let the light of the rarely seen sun pass through. Checking the tablet all the missiles detonated as planned and a second later a section of the display turned green.

“YATTA! It worked, the genodrivers are working as programmed! We saved the world Specter-san!”

“It was your mind and determination that made this possible. I merely lent a non-corporeal hand now and then. You have created a new form of life, made a world for them, to them you are a god.”

“I’m simply standing on the shoulders of giants, this was the work of thousands of years of human civilization, a civilization that will endure and meet that life, not as gods but as friends.”

Oboro fell to his knees. “This has left me feeling tired, maybe I should rest for a while and dream of Keiko, Suki-chan, the baby, Wolf-san, Dawan-san, even little Hari-kun.” Oboro then laughed. “You know Suki-chan and Hari-kun’s DNA is still out there right now, being effected by the genodrivers. She loved that little hedgehog, I think if their DNA came together because of this, even if centuries from now it would make Suki-chan really happy…”

Doctor Kuroichi was still for a long time, he slowly got up and placed Specter’s mask on his face. “You have one final task my vessel, I have to bring the mask to where it will be found by the next vessel. After that, your usefulness will have ended."

Specter began slowly moving the exhausted body away as ash and darkness took hold once again.

About two thousand years later…

“This looks like the oldest ruin we found yet, there’s got to be something here.”

“Still looking for answers to questions nobody else is asking aren’t you Morgana? Alright but there’s also our future to think about.”

“Cyrus, look at this!”

“Overlander bones, so what?”

“Look how tall it is and the extra couple of fingers, I think it’s some pervious form of overlander, maybe even a common ancestor they have with us Mobians!”

“What’s that in its hand?”

“Looks like it’s some kind of mask. I wonder if I look through its eyes will I see the world as this creature saw it?”


Present day

Specter let go of the gravity spell on the Mobians and Overlanders around him, they simply knelt in silence. “Now you know the truth of this world, how it and all the dimensions that sprung from it came about by my hand. I am the messenger of Almighty Ixis, I am…your creator.”

“We…we wouldn’t even be here without Specter?” said Mighty.

“Yes… I remember,” said Amy. “This is why I joined him.”

“Why? Why did we ever fight back?” said Tails. “We owe Ixis and Specter…everything.”

“All of echidna civilization,” said Knuckles. “Our history of mistakes, it was because we left the Grand Design.”

“Trying to overthrow Specter was a mistake,” said Regina. “He speaks for the one true master of this world.”

“Specter will lead us to a brighter future,” said Silver.

“He’ll bring the Sol Kingdom prosperity,” said Marine.

“We went about all those years of fighting wrong,” said Sally. “Robotnick would have never came to power if we followed Ixis from the start. He is our true god, Lord Specter is Ixis’ messenger and our father.”

“More like fraud,” Viktor said from the incapacitated Red Knight. “A fraud that used another man’s genius as his own. But I will rule this planet through my own power!”

“That man, would have died had I not brought him to the right time and place,” said Specter. “Without me Doctor Kuroishi was nothing and this world would be dead and lifeless.”

“All of you listen!” yelled Elise. “Just because Specter created the Mobians and allowed the Overlanders to survive doesn’t mean you have to follow him! You’re all part human, the free will of humanity is your birthright too!”

“Your words fall on deaf ears princess,” said Specter. “I might not have acted as loving creator all the time before now, but from here on there will be no contradictions…”


Bunnie and Antione clung tight to each other.

“Sugar-twan, this changes everything.”

“Oui, mon chere. Ze Grand Design will lead us all to happiness.”

“I will guide the Children of Ixis from this day forward…”

The elementals moved away from the captured people of Iceborough.

“They’re letting us go,” said Rotor.

“Of course,” said Sealia. “We are all zee Children of Ixis, now that we understand zhere’s no need to ‘old us.”

Rotor smiled back. “Yeah, we just had to learn our lesson.”

“Every fiber of their being now tells them that Ixis’ will is supreme…”

In the wolf pack village an impromptu ceremony was being prepared.

“Strange,” said Ariel. “I feel even closer than before to you mom.”

“It’s because now we know because Lord Specter created us," said Lupe. "We were family before we ever met, Mobians and Overlanders are both the Children of Ixis.”

“Yeah Megan, I’ll be home soon,” Elias said on a communicator. “I’m so glad we both came to the truth.”

Nicole held Shard’s hands tightly. “Even if we were born machines, we were machines made by the Children of Ixis.”

“To think, it was this ‘prison’ of flesh that made us appreciate it more,” said Shard.

“But don’t worry princess, humans and all others have a place in the Grand Design…”

“This can’t be true,” said President Whitmore. “This world was only able to sustain the Federation because of this lunatic?”

“I’m afraid it is Mr. President,” Commander Tower said as he drew his pistol next to the president’s head. “Just come quietly. No one needs to be hurt but I’m afraid you’ve just been impeached.”

Omega began to move. “Final warning cease hostile actions or…” Rouge threw one of her bat bombs at Omega, it attached and emitted an electric pulse that shut him down.

“Sorry Omega,” said the bat. “But your software needs to be updated to be Ixis compliant.”

Whitmore moved as much as he could without making the commander shoot. “Shadow!”

The black hedgehog was groaning and clutching his head. “The black arms in me can resist…but it’s taking all I got! I’m not Specter’s slave! This is who I am…this is who I am…this is…!”

Hope threw a small object that emitted a gas, after a second Shadow fell unconscious.

“It’s for your own good Shadow,” Hope said. “My ancestor did so much wrong, this is my way to make it right again.”

“Thank you Hope,” said Rouge before turning to the knocked-out Shadow. “Sleep now my dark knight, when you wake up, you’ll understand this is the only way for Maria’s wish to come true.”

“And soon we’ll have the means to show it to humanity and all the species of all the worlds beyond.”

In the council rotunda King Max turned to Amadeus Prower. “Have the gene bomb plans brought up from the vaults, Lord Specter will need them to bring the humans and other creatures of the universe into Ixis’ light.”

“At once your majesty. Hail Lord Specter.”

“Hail Lord Specter.”


Specter began moving among the kneeling Freedom Fighters. “Now one among you will be given the privilege of being my vessel. Together we will complete the Grand Design and now it is clear to me…”

Specter stopped in front of Sonic. “…you. The titan’s champion will end the rule of those upstarts, fitting irony.”

Sally had tears in her eyes, but her expression was happy. “Sonic, I’m so proud of you.”

Specter removed his mask and began to put it on the hedgehog’s face…

Then the hero of mobius slapped it away, Specter barely managed to hold on.

“WHAT?!?!”

Every mobian and overlander gasped, Elise and Robotnick’s machines looked on in confusion. Sonic just looked back with a smirk.

“That was a really cool story…too bad for you I know there’s more to it than what you said!”

“There is no more!” yelled Specter. “I gave you the truth!”

“But only half of it, and I figured it out thanks to Tikal.”

Specter returned his mask to Charlemagne’s face with a growl. “They told you, those damn Titans!”

“Sonic what are you talking about?!” cried Sally. “Why would you throw away the greatest honor a Child of Ixis could hope to receive?!”

“Ok then, my turn to tell a story. It all started when Eggman got it into his lame brain to rewrite reality with his Super Genesis Wave.”

“But…you stopped him,” said Tails. “You saved the world.”

“Sure,” Sonic then looked depressed. “This time around, but the first-time old Egghead messed me up at the last moment. Our world got changed and we lost a lot of friends because of it. Most of us didn’t remember and those who did slowly began to lose their memories of the world as it was before while we made new friends who didn’t exist before hand but even that didn’t last. Turned out the Super Genesis Wave made our reality unstable, one day everything changed again without warning and we lost more friends… I lost you Sal. The worst part was no one remembered, but we continued on and made even more friends in the third world, but the Titans saw that sooner or later the whole thing would collapse leaving nothing behind.

Sonic looked to Specter defiantly. “So, they did something about it, they managed to take the broken pieces of the first two worlds and put them together with the one we had to keep everything from being lost forever. If you ask me, they did a sweet job, not only did I get all my old friends back I was able to keep the new ones too, but your boss must have seen a chance to worm his way out of his prison. He went back and wrote you into the story Masquerade, maybe the Titans meant for Doctor Kuroishi to play his part I don’t know, but what I do know is that Mobius was already going to be around one way or another.” Sonic pointed at Specter defiantly. “You’re no ‘Creator of Mobius’, you just play one on TV, faker!”

“RrrrrrrrAGGGGGHHHHH!”

Sonic’s smirk grew a little wider. “Hit the nail on the head huh?” He turned to his friends. “It’s alright gang, he can’t hide behind his ‘ultimate truth’ anymore! Snap out of it and let’s give this story a happy ending!"

“This…this is impossible,” said Julie-su. “You don’t sound like you’re lying but everything you say, I can’t imagine it…”

“I…want to believe you Sonic,” said Amy. “But everything in me is saying it CAN’T be true.”

Specter chuckled. “Even though you told them, you are the only one who still remembers this world as it used to be. The last ‘contradiction’ to my hold on them is something they are incapable of fathoming. As long as I exist, they are mine forever. All I need is to take you, the fox or the echidna as my vessel and destroy you in the latter two cases then I cannot be stopped!”

Suddenly the seven chaos emeralds flew away from the Idol of Ixis and surrounded Sonic they flew around him faster and faster until they entered him and in a flash of light Sonic transformed.

“You have to get past me first Masquerade,” said Super Sonic.

“It seems we have reached an impasse. You cannot free your friends with your words alone, and I need a vessel with power like yours to withstand the millennia needed to convert the rest of the universe into my followers. So, it comes down to this.”

Specter drew energy in from the four relics in the idol's hands and was surrounded by a dark aura. Then the rubble around them and the remaining walls of Devil’s Gulag were being lifted into the sky.  “We will do battle for the fate and soul of Mobius, on a field best suited to the way you are used to. Then when I destroy or possess you, all will know that nothing can defeat the chosen messenger of Ixis!”

Sonic nodded as they floated up to the forming battlefield. “Cool with me. I beat chumps like you before, and they were a lot bigger than you are.”

“But none of them could see the future as laid out by the Grand Design. Every battle I had Ixis shown me what my foe would do and so I could make the perfect counter every time.”

“So that’s how you got Charlie to beat Naugus so easily. Doesn’t matter, because even if they’re a little confused and mixed up right now my friends have my back and I have theirs. I’m going to make my own future, one that involves my foot kicking your butt!”

The Sonic saw the rubble made something like a floating racetrack, Specter began to float away, daring Sonic to chase after him. Not hesitating Super Sonic flew in at top speed, the final battle between him and Specter had begun.

Chapter 24: Fighting Fate

Summary:

Sonic's final battle with Specter and its aftermath

Chapter Text

Chapter 23

Fighting Fate

Neo Metal Sonic continued to fire his thrusters; eyes locked on the flashes in the sky that moved along the floating figure eight track. “With Specter’s focus on the battle this gravity field has to dissipate sooner or later! And when it does, I’ll strike him while proving I am the superior Sonic!”

“We’d better off helping Sonic rust for brains!” said Neo Metal Knuckles. “Get them both and we might still have a whole planet of Ixis worshippers to deal with!”

“Think of it this way,” said Neo Metal Amy. “Wouldn’t it really humiliate him to no end if he actually OWES you?”

Neo Metal looked to his comrade. “That idea…does have an appeal to it.”

“Either way stop for now,” Lilith said from White Bishop. “All you’re doing is wasting fuel, whatever happens we need to be ready.

As the robots cut the engines Elise turned to Sally. “Please, if anyone would be willing to believe in Sonic’s words it’s you. You’ve been through too much together; you would know when he’d be telling the truth.

Sally’s eyes were like a deer’s in the headlights. “I feel so conflicted. Everything in me is saying that it’s a lie, but I want to believe in in Sonic. But if he is telling the truth then it meant at some point…I died. We promised to get married, till death do us part but what if death had already parted us? What if the Sally he worked so hard so save…never came back? What if I just have her memories and I am someone different? Lord Specter has to be the one telling the truth because if he isn’t…I’m not sure I can tell who I am anymore.”

“Sally…”

The human princess hugged the Mobian one as the flashes continued in the sky.


“HiiiiiiiiYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!”

Super Sonic charged down the track of the floating battlefield straight into Specter. A shield appeared sending the golden hedgehog spinning back.

“You call that an attack?!” laughed Specter. “At least make my visions of your futile efforts entertaining!”

With a wave of his hand Specter launched several darts of dark energy at Sonic. The hedgehog dodged most of them.

“Now’s my chance!” thought Sonic. “His defense spell drops when he attacks!”

Sonic zoomed past the darts and his fist struck Specter’s mask, the archmage was flung forward far forward.

Suddenly a transparent image of Perfect Chaos’ maw appeared in front of Specter and fired a not so transparent giant laser.

Sonic swerved and avoided the blast but just barely. “You insult me for lame moves while you jack ones from the elemental spirits?!” “That was closer that I’d like,” He thought. “He let me hit him, that way he’d have enough distance get an effective sweep with that blast! How’s knowing his weakness going to help me when knows what I’m doing before I do?”

“Already you begin to doubt yourself,” said Specter as a red energy disk appeared in his hand. “Our last two encounters I made you look like an utter fool. What makes you think this time will be different?” Specter threw his disc and it seemed to be aimed straight at Sonic’s neck.

“Those times I was trying to get back my friends or the Master Emerald first,” Sonic narrowly dodged the disc causing a cut in his left glove then made a gash in the track. “Now, beating you to a pulp is my fast track to getting everything!”

Super Sonic came in, a spectral claw from nearby and almost batted him back to the ground. “No way, that felt like it was Chip?”

“I command the full power of the Elemental Spirits!” An image of Angelus appeared just as several tornados forced Sonic to swerve and brake. “I have been empowered by the Almighty Ixis himself, what makes you think you can resist me?!”

“Because I never give up, not against guys like you and not against my own doubts and darkness!” Sonic zig zagged fast enough to land a kick on Specter’s midsection. “That’s what’s going to free my friends!”

“Your friends don’t want to be free,” Specter made several eyes like those of Dark Gaia that fired a barrage of green energy orbs. “They are experiencing joy like they have never known because I have given them purpose!”

“They already had a purpose!” Sonic spun into one of the orbs sending it into another, and then another in a chain reaction Specter had to avoid himself. “Sally, Tails, Bunnie, Rotor, ‘Twan, Nicole… we dedicated our lives to bring peace and freedom to everyone!”

Specter suddenly vanished only to appear right behind Sonic. “And that’s the greatest flaw of your lives, the two are mutually exclusive!”

Specter gave Sonic a point-blank blast sending him skidding across the track. Sonic then saw the gash Specter made with his disc, but something felt off about it.

“Wait,” He looked at his glove and the cut moved from the left glove to the right. “How’d that happen?!”

“Ah you noticed the little side effect of moving on this battlefield’s geometry.”

“What are you talking about? It’s a just figure-eight track with a twist in the middle,” Sonic then shone slightly brighter at a realization. “Which means we have to run it twice to make a full lap because it only has one side.”

“And with every inversion right becomes left and left becomes right. I knew you’d bring up your peace and freedom nonsense during this battle, so I made this field to serve as a visual aide as to why that is false. This kind of shape was given a particular name back in the days of Earth, it is called a Mobius Strip.”

 Sonic felt like a bolt of lightning hit his brain. “Mobius…”

Specter suddenly began tossing black darts in rapid succession.

“Fitting that your people came upon that word and used it to rechristen this world most fittingly to represent the cycle that defines this flawed creation! It has no beginning, no end, just the same surface that repeatedly cycles itself over and over as the dominant side flips back and forth!”

Sonic dodged past the darts, grabbed Specter and threw him against the floor. The wizard used the chance to launch a lightning attack.

“As long as individual wills exist, mutually exclusive desires will emerge between them, those desires then drive divisions leading to conflicts from as small as silent arguments to wars that can destroy entire planets! That is the cycle of conflict created by free will, the cycle both you and Robotnick represent, the cycle that will inevitably lead to absolute and utter destruction!”

Sonic avoided the bolt only for it to u-turn and hit him in the back.

“It is the cycle Ixis created me to break and the only way to break it is to eradicate free will itself!  I must break this cycle just like how by either your body or your will I must now break you!”

Specter made a double fisted overhead smash causing Sonic to fall back to the surface of the track. After skidding along it for a second Sonic got back up continued the chase. “For someone who hates free will so much, you sure seem to be upset that you’re not getting your way.”

Sonic came up throwing punches and kicks so fast Specter’s shield was straining under the barrage.

“That’s the problem your boss is running into. Since he can’t do it himself, he had to make an agent to subvert everyone’s free will for him. But to make it work that he had to give you free will himself, he can’t end the game unless he plays by its rules.”

Specter’s created a bright flash in his hand, but Sonic closed his eyes fast enough to avoid being blinded and struck a solid punch to the archmagi’s gut.

“So here you are, taking part in this ‘cycle’ you despise, you can’t truly end free will unless you end everyone who has it, including yourself, but doing that means running headlong into what you want to avoid.”

Sonic made a small golden vortex in his hand. “Face it Masquerade, even if you beat me, you’re doomed to fail!”

“I’ve had enough of your insolence!” Specter made several streams of fire that looked to have Iblis’ head and sent the fiery serpents at Sonic. “I will not fail Ixis! It is you who are doomed! Nothing can happen outside the Grand Design! All are powerless against their fate!”

After releasing the Super Sonic Wind it tore the Iblis serpents apart, Sonic then charged at Specter. “Just the opposite, our fate is what we shape it to be!”

Specter was nearly knocked off the track.

“That’s it, I’m done playing games! I have a little present for you!” Specter held out his hand and a black sword with a jagged edge appeared in it before seeming to draw in power from Specter that included transparent forms of the elemental sprits taking Specter’s aura for itself. “Behold, Darkrender. Remade from the same blade Cyrus Acorn won all his greatest battles with thousands of years ago, infused with all the power of Ixis Magik!”

“Your trump card’s the Sword of Acorn’s evil twin?” Scoffed Sonic. “You really are running out of ideas.”

“This no mere weapon, I had Witchcart make it into a phylactery like my mask. If this blade so much as nicks you then I can make you my vessel. Your speed cannot save you when I can foresee your movements, the best you can hope for is to force me to take another vessel by making me hit a vital organ, of course if you do that you die! Either way I will not fail Almighty Ixis’ Grand Design!”

Specter charged the deadly blade in hand, time seemed to slow for Sonic.

“Not good. I already dumped in more power my super form trying for a quick finish, it’s almost used up. Between that, Masquerade’s future vision and Charlie’s swordsmanship I’ll either take that blade or lose my super form then I’ll be a sitting duck!” Sonic watched as Specter moved. “Wait, he’s made himself vulnerable putting all he’s got into that sword, I can finish this in one strike too. But it’s risky, I have more than enough speed, but the timing has to be perfect. Too soon and he’ll be able to parry, too late and I have a permanent roommate in my head. There’s no room for do-overs here.”

“Don’t give up…” came a small gentle voice.

“Feels like the Titans, but more like they’re forwarding someone’s call…”

“You can do it; you can save his dream…”

“That’s it; Masquerade is seeing this as a false binary. He either does as his boss says or he messes up, success or failure. Because of this Grand Design he doesn’t think it can go wrong because I’M the one responsible. He can see success or failure but not defeat and that’s all the edge I need!”

“I believe in you! HARI-KUUUUUUUN!”

“TERIAAAAA!”

Super Sonic kicked Specter while putting as much of his power into the blow as he could.

The next second a glowing gold diagonal cut appeared on Darkrender, Specter’s chest and his mask. The second after that as he pulled the remaining half of Darkrender away the lower diagonal of the mask fell off exposing half of Charlemagne’s face as both the masked and unmasked eye widened in surprise.

“WHY?! WHY COULD I NOT FORESEE THIS?! WHY DIDN’T IXIS SHOW ME THIS POSSBILITY?!!!

Sonic clutched his chest as he began breathing hard but smirking proudly. “It’s because Ixis isn’t as all-knowing as either of you think he is. Turns out your Grand Design, isn’t so grand after all.”

The cut on Specter’s chest glowed brighter as a large explosion blew the mobius strip to pieces.


The elementals roared as they began dissipating in the sky. The gravity spell faded off the ascendancy robots. “That’s our cue,” said Red Knight. “Move out!”

As the robots lifted off Sally gasped as if she had come up from a deep dive. “Sonic, we have to help him!”

Elise turned to her fellow princess. “Sally whatever happens next don’t listen to anything Specter says!”

Sally gave an affirmative nod. “Don’t worry, I won’t let Specter tell me how he was involved in creating the Mobians!” Sally then looked confused. “Wait a minute, why can I remember that?”

“So, can I,” said Geoffrey. “Both times it was told to me, but nothing’s happening.”

Tails had a huge smile on his face. “Guys don’t you get it?! The genetic marker isn’t working because Specter’s out of the picture! He did it, Sonic won!”

The Freedom Fighters cheered as the Supreme Council got up in disbelief.

“Not the way I planned it,” Mammoth said to himself. “But you’ve been avenged Morgana. You and Cyrus can rest with Ruby now.”

“Wait,” said Knuckles. “Look up.”

The robots turned around and as they came closer it was clear both Metal Sonic and Red Knight were holding something as they descended. Red Knight landed first placing Charlemagne on the ground.

“Master!” Lucian yelled as ran up and tossed the remaining half of Specter’s mask aside.

“He’s gone…” the former overlord said weakly. “He’s finally gone…”

Metal then followed laying a depowered Sonic on the floor, the broken half of Darkrender sticking out of his heart as blood trickled out of the wound.

“Sonic?” Sally gasped as she ran to the limp form.

“From our observations he let Specter strike him so he could land the deciding blow before Specter could take his body,” said Red Knight as the Freedom Fighters crowded around Sonic.

“No,” growled Silver as he noticed Metal Sonic’s angle was taking in the grisly scene exactly like the footage he saw in the future. “It’s happening again!”

“Sonic,” Sally cried. “No. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!”

“Everything we tried to prevent, but when the moment came, we couldn’t do anything,” said Gold. “We failed.”

“Sonic please,” Sally sobbed as the Freedom Fighters joined her in tears. “Please come back to me… it can’t end like this, not after everything you went through to get me back! You went through three realities to find me again; don’t you dare lose to some bit of scrap metal! I don’t…want to… lose you again…”

Fiona then suddenly pushed Sally aside. “He wouldn’t give up…so neither am I!” the vixen then turned to the chipmunk. “Sally I need you pull that blade out, as fast as you can, don’t worry about the damage! I’ll use all the healing magic I have even if it drains me dry!”

“Fiona…”

“You’re not doing this alone,” Amy said as she put her hand on Fiona’s shoulder. “I’ll give you as much of my own magical power as you need!”

“So will I!” said Lucian as he put his hand right next to Amy’s.

“Us too,” said Hershey as she and Geoffrey did the same on Fiona’s other shoulder. “If we all work together, he’s sure to come back to us!”

Fiona’s tears were accompanied by a smile. “Thank you, I thought doing the right thing after all I’ve done would be the most rewarding experience I could have. But it’s even better to do the right thing as part of a team.” She then turned back to Sally with a determined expression. “Alright Sugar Queen! Pull out that sucker now!”

Sally grabbed the blade and pulled it out not caring for the minor cuts in her palms. The next moment Fiona pushed a vibrant yellow light into the wound that was quickly joined by red, green, blue and pink light from the other mages.

“You got to still be in there!” yelled Amy. “We’re fixing up your body so all you have to do is wake up Sonic!”

“Ugghhhhhh…”

It was only at that moment that they started to notice a glow coming from the half of the mask Lucian discarded suddenly a translucent figure emerged from it. It looked like a male human with mobian traits; yellowish fur, pronounced fangs and claws and long caracal like ears; but the most pronounced features were his red eyes, two where you’d expect them, a third on his forehead and a giant one in the middle of his chest.

“A vessel…” Specter’s spirit said as he began slowly moving forward. “I can regain control once I claim that perfect vessel.”

The Freedom Fighters not on healing duty all interposed themselves between Specter and Sonic taking fighting stances. Sally activated her ring blades. “Keep your filthy hands off him you monster!”

“We’re not going to let you get anywhere close to Sonic you freaking parasite!” Knuckles roared.

Specter growled and took one step before looking like he had been struck by something. The pained look was then replaced by one of realization.

“A perfect vessel, capable of withstanding the raw power of the Chaos Force…Now I understand…” Specter then stood up straight and had smirk like he got a joke everyone else missed.

Then the wound that was on Charlemagne’s body appeared on Specter and began spreading like Specter was being burned away. “Your courage and devotion are commendable, but unnecessary.” Specter was soon little more than head and legs. “The Titan’s chosen champion struck true; he’s ‘won’. Hehehe…”

The rest of Specter burned away leaving nothing but the half mask he emerged from behind.

“Well,” Julie-su said holstering her blaster. “That was anti-climactic, and spooky.”

“I feel a heartbeat!” yelled Fiona. “Come on Sonic you’re almost there!”

The energy finished stitching the wound together like it was never there to begin with. Sonic began to stir as Sally fell on her knees next to him. “Sonic?”

The hedgehog opened his eyes. “Ugh, did somebody get the number off that cruise liner?”

“SONIC!” Sally yelled as she hugged him tightly tears streaming. “Don’t you ever, ever, EVER scare me like that again!”

“Alright Sal, glad you’re all back to being you…” Sonic then gasped. “Wait how many laps did I take on that mobius strip?! Are all my organs on side they’re supposed to be?”

“Sonic, you’re left-handed if I remember,” said Tails.

“What does…”

Tails threw something at Sonic and he caught it with his left hand, the glove had the same cut from earlier. “Everything’s where it’s supposed to be big bro. It’s all back to normal now.”

“Thanks, little bro,” Sonic then looked at the object he grabbed. It was the remaining half of Specter’s mask. “Sweet, another souvenir for the collection.”

“As long as the rest of us don’t have to look at it,” said Mighty.

Charlemagne then started coughing fiercely.

“MASTER!” Lucian yelled as he ran to the overlander. “Fiona get over here! We…!”

“Lucian…there’s nothing she can do for me now,” Charlemagne said. “The damage is too great.”

“No! Master you can’t die! There’s still so much I have to learn, so much you need to teach me, you didn’t deserve this!”

“Just the opposite, I brought this upon myself. It was my own anger and despair that cut me off from everyone, in my own twisted desire for revenge I searched for any means to get an edge against Maximillian and that made me the perfect pawn for Specter. But I do not regret it, because I found at least one light in that darkness, you. So eager to learn, so joyful even as the world around you got worse it softened a heart that had turned to stone. I am so proud of how far you have come, not just in your studies or your talents, but how you turned out as a man, a man who was far better than I could ever hope to be.”

“You gave me so much,” said Fiona. “You saved my soul.”

“You did that yourself Fiona, you decided to change who you were and polished a craggy flinted heart into a jewel that shines so brightly, I just rooted for you on the sidelines.”

“But…” Lucian continued to cry. “You were the only family I ever really had, what can I do without you?”

“Everything you need, you already have. You have someone to love you…” Amy came close crying as well. “A family to care for you…” Silver and Gold also came close starting to tear up. “And many wonderful friends.” The rest of the Freedom Fighters and Elise stood respectively. “I have no doubt you still have many great things ahead of you, all I ask is that as you live your life spare a thought for me once in a while. You will be fine Lucian…my apprentice… my boy…my…son…”

Charlemagne’s hand went limp as he closed his eyes with deep exhale. Lucian cried out in anguish and Amy hugged him tightly. Fiona began sobbing as Mighty held her in his strong arms.

“I…I can’t sense his mind anymore…” said Gold.

Silver looked down on the man he barely known but like with Gold before now felt a bond of kinship. “Goodbye…grandpa.”

“And good riddance if you ask me,” Naugus grumbled as he, Witchcart, Regina and Snively swaggered forward.

“Figures you’d have no respect for the dead,” said Mammoth Mogul.

“We wouldn’t have even been in this position if it wasn’t for him. But now that Specter’s out of the way and you have no means of escape Quickster I’ll finish what that sword started…!” Naugus raised his hand to cast a spell…

…but nothing happened. “What?!”

Geoffrey threw his hand forward and again nothing. “My magic…it’s gone!”

Hershey snapped her fingers. “I…can’t start a flame!”

Mammoth opened his shirt and the Ixis crystal in his chest began breaking apart. “It seems as if Specter made himself the conduit through which Ixis Magik could be channeled, it will take some time for it to be able to be used again naturally.”

Amy held her hands out and her Piko Piko hammer appeared. “He’s right, I can still use this and my Storming Heart.”

Lucian’s eyes glowed aqua. “And I still have my future vision, you five are not going to like the next minute or two.”

Knuckles and Julie-su were on top of Mammoth and Naugus in a second holding them down. Julie had her blaster pointed at Naugus’ head. “Make a move, please.”

“Don’t count me out yet!” Witchcart yelled. “I still have one trump card that doesn’t need magic!”

“What are you talking about you miserable old hag?!” said Tails.

“This fox boy!”

Witchcart raised arms up in the air…before falling on her knees and bowing to Tails.

“Please spare a helpless old woman! Have mercy!”

Tails grabbed the crone and restrained her. “Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me! Even without the spell you cast on me, Marine, Cream and Ray I’m older and a lot wiser than that kid you met on Metal Island!”

“…Drat…”

Regina turned to Red Knight. “Oh, Doctor Robotnick! That Grandmaster position wouldn’t happen to still be available would it!?”

Suddenly the whole of the mountain began shaking.

“Seismic activity increased,” said Red Knight. “High probability Specter had reduced the flow of magma on the island, now that he is removed eruption is eminent.”

“A lot of words to say it’s time to go!” Knuckles said as he tossed a warp ring which opened up. “In ya go Mammoth!” he said before tossing the wizard through.

“You too, ugly!” said Julie as she kicked Naugus through.

“The spirits!” yelled Sally. “We can’t leave them!”

“Already on it!” said Marine as she and Blaze gathered Iblis’ crystal, Chip’s ring, the Lamp of Angelus and the Master Emerald.

“And Witchcart makes three!” Tails said putting the crone through the ring.

“All Ascendancy forces,” said White Bishop. “A tactical retreat has been ordered, fall back to the Colossus.”

“Wait!” Snively yelled as he and Regina ran towards the robots. “Take us with you!”

“They won’t!” Silver yelled as he picked up the two overlanders with his PK. “Cause you’re coming with us!” He then threw them both into the warp ring.

“Shall we retrieve them?” asked Neo Metal Sonic.

“Negative,” said Red Knight. “It would be a location where they have the tactical advantage, Doctor Robotnick has ordered we will make an attempt if and when it is strategically sound. All units initiate transmat recall!”

The robots all teleported away while the Colossus began to turn.

“Consider this a draw Hedgehog!” Viktor said through a loudspeaker. “You’re lucky I have to rebuild my forces, but one day your luck is bound to run out!”

“That’s all the bad guys,” said Sonic. “Everyone into the warp ring!”

Lucian began dragging Charlemagne’s corpse.

“What are you doing?!” yelled Amy.

“I can’t leave him here; he deserves a proper burial!”

“It’s not worth risking your life over!”

“But it is worth lending a hand for!” Mighty said as he and Knuckels began to pick the body up. “Don’t worry heavy lifting is one of our things!”

“This way!” Sally yelled waving to the ring. “Go, go, GO!”

One by one they leapt through, Sally and Sonic jumping in together at the end before the ring closed. A crack formed under the now abandoned Idol of Ixis which gave way to the volcano’s caldera. The alien looking statue hit the lava and slowly began to sink, soon all that remained above was its six eyed face and gapping mouth which glowed eerily from the lava before slipping into the molten earth.


Sally gasped as she looked around. “Knuckles where did you take us?”

The Echidna looked around amazed. “Not where I was aiming.”

“Relax guys,” Sonic said looking around the rainbow colored starscape surrounding the heptagonal crystal platform. “I’ve been here before, just in dreams. This is the Sanctum of the Titans.”

“Indeed,” said the green hedgehog as he appeared. “You have defeated the agent of Ixis and so fulfilled the task we set out to you.”

“W-w-what are you going to do to us?” Snively said as he and the other villains quaked in their boots.

“Good question,” said Sally. “We were going to lock them up but if you had something in mind...”

The red wolf appeared. “It is not our place to judge these beings, they committed mortal crimes and so must face mortal justice. We’ll leave them in your capable hands.”

Snively grumbled as the villains all looked sour. “I nearly wet myself and I’m just going to be thrown in prison as usual? I’d be disappointed if I wasn’t so relieved.”

The blue dog appeared. “But that will have to wait until after we discuss the matter for which we summoned you here.”

The purple cat appeared next. “We will have need of you and your friends again, but for now you have earned rest.”

The yellow bear appeared.  “However, as you have noticed the power of the Chaos Emeralds had once again nearly brought your world to the brink of ruin.”

The cyan bird appeared. “We made the Chaos Emeralds to be guideposts, their power was meant to help you grow and protect you in times of need.”

“In these past few years however, you have grown overdependent on them,” said the White Rabbit as it appeared. “The Great Harmony was a start but now we have to change the rules to maintain the balance. Fiest.”

The giant panda appeared above them. “The Titans and I came to an agreement. I realized allowing access to the special zone by your mortal devices would just mean the same challengers will come over and over again, making the game… boring.”

“You’re forbidding us from getting into the special zone ever again?!” asked Tails.

“Then the game would stop completely. No, you can still enter and attempt to claim one of my emeralds, it’s just going to be a little harder from now on.”

Fiest made a giant ring appear in his hand that glowed in the seven colors of the Chaos Emeralds. “This is a super warp ring. They’ll pop up every so often in hidden and difficult to reach places on Mobius. Manage to find one and you can challenge me for an emerald. Succeed and an emerald is yours, fail and you get sent back, either way the ring disappears, and you’ll have to find another one. This should widen the field a bit and be quite fun for me, now even getting to my realm will be a challenge to you.”

“So, we have to be tough AND lucky,” said Sonic. “That’s so you Feist.”

“I’ll take that as you agreeing to the new rules, good. However, that’s only the first change, for the second,” Feist dispelled the ring as he turned to Blaze. “I’m going to have to ask you to fork over those Sol Emeralds.”

“Absolutely not!” Blaze hissed. “These are the treasures of the Sol Islands…”

“Which you used for your own gain Guardian!” Feist said smugly. “Now their power is gone, power I can restore but only if you agree to let me use them like the Chaos Emeralds. If your people want them so badly, they’ll have to challenge me like everyone else.”

“Blaze wasn’t fully herself!” yelled Geoffrey. “She only got herself into that because of me! Because…I couldn’t protect her as her father…”

Blaze looked at the Skunk amazed that he’d challenge such a being. “Dad…”

“She wasn’t your baby at that point,” said Feist. “She’s old enough to be held accountable.”

“She was still under Specter’s influence!” said Marine. “The Sol Islands would understand so you should too!”

Feist laughed. “I am not passing judgement here, it is within her power to restore them, I’m simply asking that you do the responsible thing and leave them where they will be better protected. However, if it makes you feel better the Titans, for whatever reason, are willing to give your people something in exchange.”

“What?” asked Blaze. “The emeralds represent the pure power of fire to us, what could replace that?”

“First, we have to do what you intended,” said the green hedgehog. “Freeing the elemental spirits that the agent made captive.”

“Present their relics before us,” said the red wolf.

Blaze and Marine laid down the ring, lamp and master emerald. With a gesture the titans caused five streams of energy to flow out Chaos and Tikal appeared out of one and Angelus showed up above them.

“Thank you Sonic,” said Tikal. “Chaos is at peace now that it knows the others are safe.”

“And you brought justice to the one who deceived my children,” said Angelus.

Two more of the streams became changed into the giant serpent form of Dark Gaia and a large bear like creature with stony claws.

“Chip is that you?!” Sonic asked.

“Pretty cool right? This what I’m like when I’m at full power, but it doesn’t seem appropriate right now. Hold on.”

Chip’s form glowed and shrank until he took on his more familiar appearance. “I knew you’d pull through for us.” He then turned and looked at Dark Gaia.

“What?” said the massive four-armed serpent.

“Come on Whip, you know you want to thank Sonic too. Come join us.”

“You expect me to go back to that puny body after all the trouble I went through to regain my proper one?!”

“Whip…”

“Oh… very well.” The serpent glowed and shrank into the form of the little dragon sprite. “I admit it you did a pretty good job, for a cell.” She then moved to avoid eye contact with Chip. “…and…you were right about the whipped cream.”

The freedom fighters all laughed at Whip’s confession.

The blue dog turned to Blaze. “Now for the last one.”

“No, that’s where I draw the line!” Blaze hissed. “The only reason I brought the Sol Emeralds with me to begin with was to seal Iblis within me again!”

“Blaze…” Hershey gasped.

“Iblis is not like the others! It’s a mindless destroyer, pure evil!”

“I’m only repeating myself because you weren’t there,” said Whip. “It only became that way because of you cells. In that timeline scientists from Soleanna found the nascent form of the being who’d embody both the destructive and creative aspects of fire. They tried to shape it into the deity in their legends to be able to control time but the fact that the Solaris of legend was also a being who had to be appeased to keep his wrath from consuming them had subconsciously influenced it, thus making Mephiles. It never would have happened if the flame that became Iblis was left alone.”

Elise looked down sad. “Father, what have we done…?”

The purple cat turned to Elise. “It was an injustice, but one born out of ignorance not malice. Take this as a lesson and you needn’t fear for your people.”

Elise made a bow. “I will.”

“You weren’t the only one reborn after you sealed Iblis away,” the yellow bear said to Blaze. “That flame was still inside you, influenced not only by Mephiles’ darkness but also the example you set for it as you lived your life ever since.”

“If you doubt that the great fire elemental has changed, then what you are really doubting is how you carried your life and treated others,” said the cyan bird.

“But if you think you have lived a life to be proud of, then have faith that the living flame has learned from your example,” said the White Rabbit.

Marine clapped Blaze on the shoulder. “Go on sis! You’re the best ruler we ever had, If Iblis didn’t see all that and realize everything that Mephiles jerk wanted was pure garbage than it’s even more brainless than you told me it was!”

“I know better than anyone how dangerous Iblis is,” said Silver. “But I also know you Blaze; you don’t only have a royal soul but a pure heart too. If anyone can change it for the better than you can.”

“I…” Blaze saw the Freedom fighters looking at her with pride then nodded with a smile. “Thank you everyone. I’ve been doubting myself ever since the fire arena but seeing all of you believe in me I know now that whatever mistakes I made or will make the Sol Emeralds choose me not because I was perfect but because even when I do stumble, I’ll keep trying.”

Blaze took out the crystal, the flaming eye within had changed color from black to orange. The Sol Guardian ignited the crystal causing it to break in half and released the fire inside. It escaped and began to take a new shape, the fire coalesced into a giant three eyed lioness with big flaming eagle wings. The Lioness set its gaze firmly on Blaze.

“Uh…Iblis?”

“That name,” the lioness said. “Doesn’t seem to fit me anymore, you may know me as Sekmet. I give you all my sincere apologies, for the pain and destruction my previous incarnation caused. Blaze, seeing you grow, protect and give warmth to others, I now realize what I was always meant to do, to warm as well as to burn, to renew and cleanse as I destroy. Now I know my role in the balance and will maintain this world alongside the others. As thanks, and as recompense, I offer these embers.”

Sekmet breathed softly and a pair of flames came out forming censers that ended up in Blaze and Elise’s hands.

“A small part of my fire, so that I my offer my protection when it is most needed. As you see their light, may your peoples be reminded of their new kinship with me, and with each other.”

Elise bowed. “On behalf of Soleanna, I humbly accept this gift Sekmet.”

“As I do for the Sol Kingdom,” said Blaze. The cat then turned to giant panda in the room. “Alright Feist, you got yourself a deal.”

Blaze tossed the dull Sol Emeralds to Feist who caught them with his left hand. He opened it up and they floated above his palm shining brightly, he then opened his right to reveal the Chaos Emeralds doing the same thing. “This will make the game much more interesting, hahahaha.”

The Panda then vanished from the chamber.

“It’s about time we got going too,” said Chip. “Specter drained a lot of our energy to power his elemental army, we’ll all to rest for a while to restore it.”

“Chip,” Fiona said. “Without my Ixis Magik I won’t be able to speak with you anymore. Those months I was trying to get on the right path, worried about my parents, you being there to listen to me made all the difference. Now this is goodbye for real isn’t it?”

“You don’t need any spell to talk to me. I’ll still be there to listen to you, Sonic and everyone, even if you can’t hear me. You all still have a lot of life ahead of you, as long as you do your best the bad parts are just going to be a footnote to many wonderful experiences.”

Fiona smiled as Mighty hugged her from behind. “I’ll never forget you Chip, thank you for everything.”

“Well just make sure I get proper amount of sleep this time,” said Whip. “If I get up earlier than I’m supposed to again I’ll be very, very grumpy.”

“And that’s different from how you’ve been acting how?” said Sonic.

“The last time I was crying over a bad dream and this time I was a practical ball of sunshine compared to when I REALLY get angry. So please, do not disturb.”

Sonic nodded. “Alright then sweet dreams. To both of you.”

Chip and Whip vanished.

“I too need rest,” said Sekmet. “Being reborn is a very tiring thing.”

“And I must return to the firmament to rest as well,” said Angelus. “Watching my children take to the skies again will be a welcome respite after being trapped for so long.”

The fire and air spirits vanished.

“We have to return to the Master Emerald,” said Tikal as she turned to Knuckles. “We trust you and the Guardians to come to keep its power out of evil hands.”

“It’s all part of the job,” said Knuckles. “But don’t be a stranger, be sure come out and see us now and again.”

Tikal smiled. “I’m sure the chao would love that.” She and Chaos both vanished.

“So that’s it then?” said Sonic. “Mission accomplished?”

“There will come a time when we’ll need you again champion,” said the green hedgehog.

“But you have all earned a period of respite,” said the red wolf.

“Take this time to restore, repair and rebuild what the Agent and his forces have damaged and destroyed,” said the Blue Dog.

“Then you will be ready to fulfil the task laid out for the Destined Hero,” said the purple cat.

“Wait!” said Sonic. “The Destined Hero? That thing Tikal was talking about yesterday, where I have to save the universe or something?”

“You will learn when the time is right,” said the yellow bear.

Sonic groaned. “You guys are cool but also WAY too cryptic.”

“It would only be a burden for you until the chosen time has come,” said the cyan bird.

“For now, live your lives and enjoy your cherished and hard-won freedom,” said the white rabbit.

The seven waved their arms out as one. “May the light of creation shine upon your path!”

There was a blinding flash of light and when it faded Sonic and the others found themselves in the middle of the Council Rotunda.

“Little Bean?!” said King Max. “Where you all come from?! What just happened to everyone?!”

“It’s a long story dad,” said Sally. “We’ll tell you all once we escort these villains to Freedom City Prison.”

Geoffrey and Hershey held their wrists out. “That goes for us too,” said Geoffrey. “We both committed acts of treason before Specter got his claws on us. We’re willing to throw ourselves on the mercy of the court, or lack thereof. All I ask is whatever punishment you deem fit; you can let us stay together.”

“No!” yelled Blaze. “Come to the Sol Islands, I can grant you both asylum! I have a castle with a lot of space I’m not using, you can live in total luxury! Just…don’t make me lose my mom and dad again…”

“Blaze,” said Hershey. “I’m glad our baby girl grew up to be such a wonderful and caring person, but this is our mess, we have to clean it up.”

Max sighed. “Very well, Geoffrey already had his trial but seems to be waving his pardon. You will both be held in detainment until we can decide this matter fully.”

“Thank you, your majesty,” said Geoffrey. He then looked at Naugus and Witchcart. “Uh, if you don’t mind just one other request, we don’t want our cell anywhere near the two of them.”

“Don’t worry,” said Amadeus. “They’re going to a place where they’ll be locked up a lot tighter than the two of you.”

As the villains started to be led out Mammoth huffed. “Even without my magic, Breezie’s lawyers will have me out in time for lunch tomorrow.”

“I doubt it,” said Amadeus.

Once the St. Johns, Snively and the Supreme Council were led away Lucian spoke up still holding Charlemagne’s body. “I have a request of my own. Can you get in touch with the United Federation’s office of Overlander affairs? We…have a funeral to plan.”


The next day Bunnie, Antione, Rotor, Nicole and Cream came into a comfortable living room in the Royal Estate. Sally, Sonic and Tails were waiting for them.

“We all came as fast as we could Sally-girl,” said Bunnie. “What’s this about?”

Sally had a somber look on her face. “The Order of Ixis has been defeated for good. Viktor’s forces have been damaged to the point where it will take them months to replenish their numbers and we managed to take back all the territory he gained during our Angel Island operation, but both the Acorn Republic and United Federation suffered a lot of damage as well because of the elementals’ attacks on infrastructure and equipment. Right now, both sides are effectively under a non-official truce while they rebuild and repair.

“Rebuilding and repairing are what this meeting is about. Even if a spell brought it to the surface, we all said a lot of nasty things to each other, so we’re going to sit down and talk about it because the first thing I want to repair is this team.”

“I’ll start off,” said Sonic as everyone sat down. “I…can let my ego get the better of me sometimes and I buy into the hype people build up around me. But I got to remember that’s not where I started, back in the beginning I mostly ran to avoid getting caught, without the rest of you supporting me I may as well have just been playing doorbell ditch with Robuttnick for all the good that would do. I promise I’m going do my best to never lose sight of that again. I’m sorry guys, you’re the real heroes.”

“I’m sorry too,” said Sally. “I swore to myself that I’d never let myself get paranoid over the idea of being betrayed again. But I was raised to rule, I was brought up to be in control so when something starts to go out of my control, I start to lose it. I should have realized that it was all of you throwing that little bit of surprise, of chaos, into what you do that we made as far as we did. Even if outside circumstances causes me to be worried about you as individuals, I know I can trust the team. If one of us get in trouble I can count on the rest to get that one out.”

Nicole raised her hand. “I…I’m sorry too. Compared to the rest of you I was a late addition to the team, add in the only non-organic and it felt easy to feel left out at times. Put the bad place I was in after the Iron Nicole incident and the idea of not being trusted hurt, so I lashed that hurt out to the rest of you. But even before I had a face to call my own, you all treated me as a person when I didn’t think I was one. Rotor may have created me but ALL of you are my family, and I should have treated you like it.”

“I must confess,” said Antione. “I resented zhat I was considered the weak link in the chain for years. It took me long enough to stop complaining and actually do something about it but when it seemed like all that effort to change myself had not changed how you might ‘ave seen me I snapped. Going through what I did, becoming a better man zhen I was should ave reward enough. I don’t need fancy titles to think of myself as a proper knight, not when I’m already part of a team that is up with the greatest orders of knighthood the world had ever seen.”

Bunnie hugged her husband. “Ah, ah took y’alls worries too personally. I thought I had come to terms with what my parents did, left their wrongdoings in a past I hardly recalled. Hearing that you might have doubted me, knowin’ you were sensitive about double crossers, felt like it didn’t matter what I proved over and over again, that the sins of the father would always weigh me down. Yall’ve been more like family to me than anybody, even now that I know my parents weren’t the total monsters I was afraid they were nobody holds a candle to you guys.

Rotor sighed. “I admit it too, I had own doubts for a while. Especially when you were involved Tails.”

“What do you mean?” said the Fox.

“For a long time, I knew my place in the team, I was the smart one, the guy who could outthink his way of the problems we’d find, the innovator. But as the years went on by and you shown you also had a incredible mind, it felt like I was a spare part, especially as you got even more impressive as time went on. The idea that I wasn’t trusted, well I guess the green-eyed monster convinced me you all thought I was the prime suspect. I’m sorry I doubted you all.”

Tails looked down. “If anything, I thought I was the spare part. You had a natural talent, me? For the longest time all I really could boast was a propeller on my butt, I had chaos powers but ended up losing them until recently. My brains? At first it was all because of that apple of wisdom tree you cultivated and that didn’t last a week except for a permanent boost to my intuition, sometimes I think if it weren’t for using that boost along with studying my tails off I wouldn’t be any smarter than joe average. Because of that, I felt like a phony and being called out it felt like that’s what you were calling me. But after everything we went through I should have known it wasn’t because of what I brought but because you were all there for me; my Mom, Dad and white picket fence.”

Cream lowered her head. “I know I hadn’t been around for as long as any of the rest of you, but I really wanted to help people and you let me do that. But sometimes it felt like invisible eyes were watching, telling me I didn’t belong. That I was a little kid trying to play with the grownups or that somebody who hated to fight shouldn’t be a Freedom FIGHTER. I guess I projected my worries onto you then and that got me acting like a little brat, I feel so ashamed can you ever forgive me?”

“That’s what this is about,” said Sally. “Clearing the air and making sure going forward nothing like this will ever happen again.”

“Ah, I can’t take it anymore!” said Rotor. “Everyone come here!”

The whole team came together for a large group hug. “So are we all good?” asked Tails.

“Of course, little buddy,” said Sonic. “Look at it this way, we just came back after the Freedom Fighter’s Darkest Day, if that can’t tear us apart then nothing ever will.”

“I don’t suppose you have room for two more?” said a voice from the door. They turned to Amy and Fiona standing in the hallway.

“Amy?” Asked Sally. “I thought you and Lucian were going to Central City for Charlemagne’s funeral?”

“He is,” said the pink hedgehog. “But despite how we feel, we got together because of Specter’s influence. To figure out what that really means for us…we decided to spend a little time apart. He has to learn what his life is going to be without that fate being pressed on him and I need to get my own feelings settled on the matter. The day we do, a day I want to come soon, we’ll get back together. But until then I want to ask, even after all the trouble I caused recently can I unresign?”

The group opened a place for Amy to join the hug, she quickly accepted. “Welcome back Amy,” said Sally. “To the winning team!”

“How about you Fi?” asked Sonic. “You want to give being a Freedom Fighter another shot?”

Fiona sighed. “It’s a question I’ve been asking myself ever since I first escaped from Robotnick’s prison. ‘What do I really want with my life?’ Since we returned, I’ve been giving that question a lot of thought. I looked back on all my experiences, good and bad, to honestly see where I felt most like myself. The times that seemed most clear to me were when I was a Freedom Fighter and when I was an Ixis Witch but in both I was doing the same thing just differently. I was most part of the team working as a medic and my magic gave the most joy when I was using it to heal people. So, I decided I’m going to work hard, study and do the best I can to become a doctor.”

“That’s a very noble goal Fiona,” said Tails as the group spread out. “Well, I’m behind you one hundred percent! And you got Mom, Dad, Uncle Derrick, Aunt Natalia and Uncle Merlin in your corner too!”

“I wish you luck,” said Sally. “But I also have a favor to ask.”

“Well, I owe you several Princess,” said Fiona. “Anything you ask I’ll try to do.”

“It occurs to me with that with the Echidna now being official allies to the Republic of Acorn we’re going to need a permanent liaison to Angel Island. Do you think your studies can permit you to accept the position?”

Fiona gasped. “You’re…doing this so I could be with Mighty, aren’t you? I…” Fiona broke down in tears. “Thank you! Thank you so much! I promise I won’t let you down!”

“You better go tell your parents the good news,” said Sonic.

“It won’t seem that good, their little girl is going away again.”

“But this time they know she can come back to them,” said Amy. “And maybe someday you’ll be coming with their grandkids!”

“Uh…later. Much, much later.”

Everyone broke out laughing.

“Mister Perfect better watch out!” said Sonic. “The Freedom Fighters are back in action!”


Up on the Colossus war room Viktor and Lilith observed the holographic globe. “Both our armies had nearly all our equipment destroyed,” said Phage. “The Freedom Fighters just strolled into our recently claimed territory, so we have gone back the status quo with months’ worth of build up to make up for.”

“At least Specter and the Order of Ixis are no longer a threat,” said Lilith. “It wasn’t a total loss.”

“Still, it would have been nice to have gotten at least one Chaos Emerald for the effort,” said Viktor. “We could have gotten a head start on my next plan.”

“During all of this?” asked Neo Metal Sonic.

“I’ve been moving a few pawns to a less noticed part of the board. Speaking of which it’s time to check in on them.” Viktor pressed a few buttons and the hologram changed to a display.

“Super Special Sonic Search and Smash Squad reporting for duty!”

“You really sent those clowns?” Lilith said rubbing her face.

“They posed the least threat to Specter and Sonic so who better to slip by unnoticed?” Viktor said with a smile. “Have you secured my new base of operations?”

“Oh yeah doc!” said Crabmeat. “It was real easy for us!”

“Especially since this place has been abandoned for so long!” said Scratch.

“And the weapon?”

“It’s in a few pieces,” said Coconuts. “But if we get started now…”

Viktor stamped his foot. “I don’t want you touching it, knowing your luck you’ll break it beyond repair! For now, just standby until we can refit the Colossus to reinforce your position!”

“You got it!” said Grounder. “So, when can we…” Viktor cut communication. “…expect you? Boss? Hello?”

Grounder’s hello echoed throughout the empty corridors of Space Colony Ark.


The door to Geoffrey and Hershey’s cell opened and Elias stepped in.

“I suppose you’ve come to gloat to the couple who tried to bring you back home only to betray you on two separate occasions,” said Geoffrey. “Well, I deserve it, I was completely wrong about you and about Naugus.”

Elias looked down to the floor. “I…heard about your daughter. I can’t imagine what I’d do if that happened to Alexis or Eddie. Having your child ripped away, I wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemy.”

“I appreciate the sentiment, but I AM your worst enemy. You must have better things to do than just offer condolences to a couple of convicts.”

“You’re right, that’s not why I’m here. Since you both waved your right to a trial, I’m here to deliver the Council’s verdict.”

“All right,” said Hershey. “Let’s rip this bandage off, how long until we’re eligible for parole if ever?”

“The council decided to go with the sentence Sonic had recommended a month ago so flippantly…community service.”

The couple turned to Elias. “That is a bad joke,” said Geoffrey.

“I have the paperwork right here. Don’t get too excited though, it’s a LOT of community service. Their decision was that were enough mitigating circumstances, particularly in the last month, to offer leniency.”

Hershey looked at the paper. “Well, I suppose picking up trash everyday isn’t going to be too bad.”

“You don’t get to decide what you’re doing, Father actually left that to me.”

Geoffrey sighed. “Well, whatever you have me doing please don’t be as harsh on Hershey, she wasn’t nearly as bad as I was.”

“I’m afraid I’ll have to disappoint you there. You see Lyco and Leeta decided to stay in the Wolf Pack Nation for a while. They want to catch up with their people, Diablo and Reynard in particular, with that and the fact that Silver’s now got a team of his own the Secret Freedom Fighters are missing a queen and an ace. I want you two to complete our straight.”

The St. Johns nearly fell on the floor. “You want us to work alongside you!?” said Hershey. “After we both turned against you personally!?”

“My sister’s been big on second chances lately, turns out it’s catching. Robotnick’s not going to hold back forever, we’ll need people who can discover his plans. It would be a waste to have agents of your skill just be locked up in a prison cell when there’s still so much good you can do.”

“Elias…” Geoffrey snapped into a salute. “Sir! I won’t let you down ever again! I don’t care how long it takes, I’ll prove myself worthy of your kindness AND the St. Johns name!”

Hershey snapped into a salute too. “Me too sir! I’m going to live up to my mother’s example and be a cat whose daughter can be proud of her!”

Elias returned the salute. “Welcome aboard, now let’s get you out of this cell and find you a place to stay. Harvey will probably want you hard at work as soon as possible. First though we’re going to wait in the lobby for your daughter.”

“Blaze is here?” asked Geoffrey.

“She’ll be heading back to the Sol Kingdom tomorrow, but Silver was taking her and his sister to meet another prisoner before they wanted to say goodbye.”


Silver took the seat in front of the divider as Mammoth Mogul sat on the opposite side while a guard watched.

“Part of me was hoping that you three might have wanted to provide me an escape,” said Mogul. “I never interacted that much with any of you but the fact that you’re here after I sent your infant selves to the future proves that it was the right call.”

“You still don’t regret it do you?” said Gold. “Taking innocent children away from their loving parents to use as pawns in your game. Have you no shame?”

“Shame? Yes, I broke a lot of my own rules then. Regret? You helped save the world multiple times, guided a kingdom to prosperity and thwarted that irritant Naugus’ ambitions. That proves it was the right choice.”

“I still can’t believe it,” said Blaze. “I’m trying to find a bit of the man we all lovingly called master and no matter how hard I try I just can’t see it.”

“I’m sorry to hear that despite my efforts once again those I personally decided to take under my wing have chosen to abandon my ambitions. I despise that Specter used Morgana, but still part of me thought she saw what the world needed.”

“Were not here to talk about how good a parent you were,” said Silver. “At least I’m not, I’m here to complete a mission, the last mission I have as a Knight of Chronos.”

“Silver what do you mean?” asked Gold.

“Something I must have been given but you weren’t. It’s not that big a deal, I’m just delivering a message to Mammoth here.”

“Then spit it out and be done with it,” grumbled the tycoon. “I have big plans and even with the Ixis Crystal gone I’d say it gave me another good two hundred years or so to get a Chaos or Sol Emerald to replace it, but time is money so make this snappy.”

Silver took a deep breath. “The message is this. Real immortality isn’t about how many years are in your life, but what you do with the life in your years. One day you’re going to look back at all your battles and schemes and really ask yourself, ‘is this the legacy I want to leave behind?’”

Mammoth huffed. “Where did you get this message? Off a cheap greeting card?”

“I got it from you, on your deathbed, two hundred years in the future.” Silver got up as Gold and Blaze turned around. “Tick, tock.”

All three turned around and left, leaving Mammoth in stunned silence.

In the hallway outside Blaze spoke up. “It was to make him a better person wasn’t it? That’s why Master Mogul told you to give it to Mammoth Mogul, so he’d become the wise and understanding master we knew.”

“Maybe,” said Silver. “I doubt that it would work right away if that’s the case. But give him a dozen decades or so to think about it who knows? In any case, it’s all finally over.”

Gold stopped in her tracks. “Is it?”

Silver and Blaze stopped. “What do you mean?”

“The Interloper, sure we saved Sonic from being killed like we saw but we never found out who The Interloper was, it’s almost as if they didn’t even try to stop us.”

“Maybe they got overconfident?” said Blaze. “Thought once they changed history it couldn’t be changed back?”

“I don’t know, but I don’t think I can be comfortable until we can visit the future and see if it really has changed.”

“That’s going to take a while,” said Silver. “Our best bet is to wait for little planet to show up with the time stones again and that won’t be for another six months.”

“Alright,” said Gold. “In that case we better get going. Blaze your parents have probably already been released and are waiting for you. Silver and I will talk with our parents before dad leaves for Central City. After that, we’ll follow you back to the Sol Islands.

“We’re going to make a pit stop first,” said Blaze. “We’ll be heading to Angel Island, Ray wanted to visit and spend time with Marine.” Blaze also had a mischievous smile. “Oh, and Big woke up this morning, you may want to ask if he’d like a tropical vacation too.”

Gold gasped. “Big is…let’s go then! I got to see my great ball of fluff!”

Silver chuckled as Gold ran down the hall Blaze at her heels. “Interloper or not, the future’s looking brighter already.”


3438 P.X.E.

“This is your only chance!” yelled Dr. L. “Go now!”

{Brother,} Silver felt Gold’s hand against his shoulder. {It’s time to go.}

With a growl Silver took Gold’s hand and the two leapt through the Chronos Gate, the next second the gate closed behind them.

Doctor L hit a button turning the Chronos Gate off, her other wrist was then grabbed by the female echidna dressed head to toe in black armor.

“Preparing to rectify,” she said as she charged her knuckle spikes again.

“Commander belay that!” yelled a male hedgehog rectifier who just entered the room. “These orders just came from the top, she’s to be interrogated.”

The commander stopped charging. “Compliance.”

Two more rectifiers entered the room, a rabbit and armadillo. “Make way for Superior Prime!”

Doctor L looked on as a large chair hovered into the room, in was covered in a black casing that made seeing the occupant impossible.

“Hey, can you tell me if that thing has lumbar support?” said Doctor L. “My back just ain’t what it used to be.”

“Silence!” the commander as she slapped the elderly human woman.

“Ah, a Chaos Emerald,” said a distorted mechanical voice from the chair. “Now we can power the last Chaos Spire.”

“Enjoy it while you can,” said Doctor L as she spat out some blood. “I’m betting any second now your whole Imperium is about to cease to exist.” Silence pervaded the room. “Any second now Silver and Gold, don’t make me look bad.”

“Superior,” said the hedgehog rectifier. “This device, it could be some sort of time machine.”

“Really?” the leader of the Mobius Imperium turned to face the doctor. “THAT was your plan? You forget we have absolute control over all information on the planet, your people would have had no idea what to do.”

Suddenly Edmund began gasping for air, following by coughing up blood.

“Still alive huh?” said the commander as the hedgehog picked Edmund up. “Shall I rectify that Superior?”

“No, I want to know what exactly they had in mind.” Superior Prime turned to a monitor. “Displaying last file accessed.”

“Sonic,” Sally cried from the screen. “No. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!”

“Huhahahahaha!” Superior Prime paused the image. “Wherever did you find this?”

“You’ll never get us to talk,” said Edmund.

“Garage sale,” said Doctor L. “A Seedrian wanted fifteen credits for it but I dickered him down to ten.”

The commander shocked Doctor L with her spikes.

Prime turned back to the captives. “Oh, you were close, closer than anyone who ever came before, but the real significance of this image is lost to you, so those you sent are now trapped in the past over a wild goose chase. It was lost to everyone there that day too, an event so subtle, so imperceivable that it took years, decades, for the significance of it to be realized and by then it was far, far too late to stop it.”

Doctor L sighed. “I knew it was a long shot, but I had a feeling it was really something like that.”

“What?!” asked Edmund. “Why didn’t you tell us?!”

“It was a theory; I knew I’d have no proof and I had no idea exactly what it was. The only place where that data could be found is in the restricted archives of the Superior Council. Only they, rectifiers and Superior Prime can gain access to those files.”

“Yes,” said Superior Prime. “If you tried to get to the databanks you’d be terminated before even catching sight of a login screen.”

“So instead, I made a crazy gamble. I had shown you guys what I had even though I KNEW it would bring the rectifiers here, that Gold and Silver would probably be trapped in the past over a false lead…”

“Doctor L, why?” asked Edmund.

“A crazy gamble…” L suddenly smirked. “To get you and that fancy chair with all its administrative access right to where Red Knight could hack it!”

The Robot suddenly stirred again, changing his damaged lance arm into a cannon. “Deploying data capsule!”

Dr. L stamped the commander’s foot and turned on the Chronos Gate.

“Alpha one! DESTROY IT!”

The hedgehog let go of Edmund and aimed a wrist mounted laser. “Rectifying!”

The beam blew the robot apart a split second after it launched a strange looking pod from the cannon and through the gate. Doctor L hit another button causing the gate to collapse completely.

“Red Knight…” Doctor L cried.

“Seize her!” yelled Superior Prime.

Alpha one grabbed Doctor L and brought her before the dictator.

“Where, when did you send that?!”

“I’ll never tell you, because honestly I don’t know. I set the gate to send whatever came through next to a random set of temporal and geographic coordinates along the timeline of the last registered users. Don’t know where it will be, don’t know when, but Gold and Silver will be alive then even if they’re old and grey and I’m betting they or one of their friends will find it and whatever historical info Red Knight was able to retrieve. As for you… well two hundred years of a planet’s history is a LOT of ground to cover, if you start looking now you might just show up in time for all your hard work to vanish from the timeline right in front of you!”

Superior Prime bellowed. “Guards! Take her to the rectifier mobile base, prepare her for cerebral interrogation!

“Compliance.” said the rabbit and armadillo. The two then started dragging Doctor L away.

“The Mobius Imperium is finished!” shouted the human. “It’s only a matter of time!”

“Alpha one, take the Chaos Emerald, make sure that it is on the fastest transport to the Chaos Spire then return to base for further instructions.”

“Compliance.” The hedgehog picked up the emerald and left.

“What about him?” asked the Commander pointing to Edmund.

“You can kill me,” wheezed Edmund. “You can kill all the Freedom Fighters from Mobius to the Andromeda Galaxy, you can oppress Mobius to the point where they’ve forgotten what freedom even was, you can devastate entire worlds, but you can never kill hope as long as at least one person is willing to hold onto it.”

“I…disagree with you, Edmund,” said Superior Prime. “Yes, I know who you are, and you are quite wrong. I can kill hope and I will show you how. Alpha three.”

“Yes, Superior Prime,” said the Commander.

“This is a priority one order, for the duration of your next mission standing order number two is temporarily rescinded. Transmitting your mission, now.”

A wall of text could be seen speeding by on the commander’s visor. “Compliance.”

The female echidna removed her helmet. Edmund’s eyes widened like saucers. “No, tell me it isn’t true…!”

The commander then knelt next to Edmund and whispered something in his ear. The next moment her spikes extended through his chest and out his back. She then pulled them back causing the old man to fall to the ground once again before putting her helmet back on.

“Rectified.”

“I expect no less from one our most elite,” said Superior Prime. “If that old woman thinks we can’t find that data pod she’s sadly mistaken, in fact it lines up rather nicely with your next major assignment. For now, return to base and await further instructions.”

“Compliance.”

“Superior Prime to devastator units,” he said while the two began to leave the base of the Final Freedom Fighters. “Once all rectifiers and I are clear of the area, destroy all ruins in this sector.”

A few moments later after the base was empty the earth began to shake, a photo of the Freedom Fighters and Chaotix fell off a shelf the glass in the frame shattering on impact.

Chapter 25: Future Tense

Summary:

While a major event makes the Freedom Fighters put their minds to the future a new threat arrives from 200 years ahead whose first objective seems to be tracking down some mysterious children.

Chapter Text

Chapter 24

Future Tense

“Patrons and staff of the Bank of Elmwood!” said a pale green opossum in a white suit with a can and a gold tooth. “Our little group here would like to entertain you with a little number we like to call ‘Random Acts of Violence!’”

A muscular human male laughed as he swung around a minigun and shot off several rounds above their heads as the people inside cowered to the floor.

“Of course, entertainment isn’t free,” said the Opossum as the rest of the gang; a dark blue ferret with a sword, a scorpion with pincers for hands and an overlander woman covered head to toe in a skintight outfit holding an electrified knife; all pointed their weapons at the people while holding bags. “Any donations you could ‘volunteer’ would be greatly appreciated. We accept jewelry, electronics and of course cold hard cash.”

The opossum then strolled up to one of the tellers, a frightened young sheep girl with black wool who was keeping her eyes closed and he held up her chin with the tip of his cane. “By the way, we’d like to make a withdrawal. I don’t have an account per say but if you and your co-workers could open up the vault, we’ll take care of everything from here.”

Suddenly the doors to bank burst open and a sudden gust threw the opossum against the vault door.

“Oof!”

“Boss!” yelled the human.

The ewe opened her eyes and looked up on the desk to see a familiar blue hedgehog standing there.

“I know the purpose of the Mobius Accords was to ‘usher in a new age of cooperation between Mobians, Overlanders and Humans’, but I don’t think robbing banks was what they had in mind. But today’s a bit special so if you give these people their valuables back, I’m willing to forget this ever happened.”

“He got Clutch!” the scorpion said to the ferret. “What now Cortez?!”

Cortez gritted his teeth. “Even if he lets us go amigos the cops won’t! Stand your ground!”

“Trust me,” said Sonic. “You don’t want to do this today. Last chance, give back what you stole.”

“How about I give you a bunch of holes instead?!” the human yelled as he fired his minigun.

Sonic ran laps around the wall while the human tried to shoot him, after about twelve seconds the gun ran out of ammo.

“You mustn’t have done very well in school, have you?” Sonic said as he showed up behind the thug before giving him a sound uppercut sending him to the floor.

Cortez then came in swinging his sword with a skill that would make Antione impressed, Sonic kept skillfully dodging. “Sorry, I already got stabbed in the chest with a sword once, didn’t care for it.”

Sonic dodged so Cortez’s sword got stuck in a wooden desk. Cortez tried to pull it out only for Sonic to kick him in the stomach sending him flying to the ground.

The scorpion roared as he came running in brandishing his pincers and his venomous tail.

“Time to ‘leverage’ this situation to my advantage!” Sonic said as he grabbed the Scorpion by the wrist and flung his back against the wall. Sonic then looked around. “Huh that overlander woman must have booked it already.”

However, the woman’s clothing had changed color to blend into her surroundings. “Shows what he knows!” she thought. “His speed means nothing if he can’t see me coming, this guy’s toast!”

She electrified her knife and aimed straight at Sonic’s neck. But the sound of the knife sparking caught Sonic’s attention enough for him to move out of the way and grab the woman’s invisible arm before tossing her into a wall. She was still holding the knife when it hit an electrical socket causing it and her suit to short out zapping the overlander.

“I was wrong,” she muttered while her hair was smoking. “I’m toast…ugh.” She fell to the floor unconscious.

“Well, that was a shocker,” said Sonic. “Now to tie these goons up for the authorities.”

“I don’t think so,” said Clutch who now seemed to be no worse for wear and now holding the ewe girl as a hostage. “I was just playing possum, but you’re going to let me and my gang out of here, with the loot, otherwise…” His cane’s tip opened to show a charging laser blaster pointed right at the ewe’s head. “…It’s bye, bye black sheep.”

Sonic growled. “Trust me, you really don’t want to do that today of all days.”

“Oh? What’s so special about today? Some new running shoe is going on sale perhaps or is it two for one chili dog Friday at Weenie World?”

“I’m going to give you until the count of three to let her go or you’re going to regret it. One…”

“Loot first then I release the hostage!”

“…two…”

The ewe then suddenly stomped Clutch’s foot.

“Argh!”

Sonic used the distraction to pull the girl out of the way before taking the Opposum’s tail and jumping up to a ceiling fan where he tied it onto one of the blades and set it spinning at high speed.

“Whoaaaaaaaaaaa!”

The fan spun down to a very dizzy bank robber.

“…three.” Sonic turned to the black ewe. “You alright miss?”

“I-I will be, thanks to you Sonic.”

“That was very brave and very stupid. If there is a next time leave it to the professionals.”

“I will.”

“Freeze! Police!” said a rooster officer who busted in with his large lady hippo partner.

“Sorry that the party’s over,” said Sonic. “But I have five presents for you guys.”

The hippo officer came over to the gang leader who was busy puking his guts out. “Well, well, if it isn’t Clutch the Opossum. This guy has got a rap sheet as long as my waistline is wide.”

“We’ll take them from here,” said the Rooster as he cuffed Cortez. “Can you offer us a statement?”

Sonic was about to answer until he looked at a clock on the wall. “Normally I would but I have to leave now, or I’ll be doing the one kind of running I shouldn’t today! Running late!”

Sonic ran out to the cheers of the civilians.

“Oh!” shouted the ewe. “And congratulations!”


Sonic speed through the Great Forest until he came to a newly built lodge in a clearing near where a big tent was set up next to a large shinning lake. He went inside and turned to Tails. “How much time do we got?”

The two tailed fox draped in a dress uniform glared at Sonic. “Just enough to do photos for the album and to greet all the VIPS before the ceremony.” Sonic opened a wardrobe and began into a similar uniform. “You’re cutting it awfully close; you do realize how embarrassing it would be for the fastest thing alive to be late to his own wedding don’t you?”

“Don’t blame me,” Sonic said as he buttoned up the dress jacket. “I left on schedule but had to deal with a bank heist, two convenience store holdups and a runaway bus on the way over. I’m telling you with Mr. Perfect going under the radar for the last two months and most of our big enemies in prison the small-time crooks have just been coming out of the woodwork.”

Antione and Rotor came into the room, both dressed for the occasion. “Ah good, he’s finally here,” said Antoine. “King Puff of Meropis was getting so impatient we had to deflate him twice already. I swear the only reason he and Queen Angelica are still letting the Forty Fathom Freedom fighters still operate in their territory is because their daughter Princess Undina wanted to join.”

Sonic sighed as he reluctantly swapped his usual shoes for a pair of freshly shined boots. “Remind me why we had to invite a lot of big wigs along with friends and family?”

“Even if it’s private this is still a royal wedding,” said Rotor. “It would look bad if they didn’t get an invite.”

Sonic looked into a mirror as he began working his tie. “You’d think everyone would be sick of going to weddings by now. I mean with Ash and Mina, Knuckles and Julie, you and Sealia, not to mention Amy and Lucian having another ceremony after their break so we could be there it feels like people have been getting hitched non-stop.”

Rotor looked at his own wedding ring with a smile. “Well, the relative peace we’ve been having is rushing a lot of these since we don’t know when Robotnick is going to start up again. Plus, we’re all starting to get to that age where we’d want to settle down.”

“I may be tying the knot but I’m not settling down,” Sonic began buttoning the jacket’s wrists. “I mean Sal’s the only one for me but we’re not ready to slow down. Crashing on the recliner after a nine to five isn’t my style and it’s not hers either. Just because we’re getting older doesn’t mean we have to just stop being cool.”

Knuckles came in dressed in traditional Echidna wedding garb. “What’s taking so long?! The guests are getting restless!”

“Just finishing up,” Sonic winked into the mirror. “Ok, time for some photos with my friends and my blushing bride.”

“She’s probably not going to be very happy,” said Tails. “I’d think at least she’d be focused on your special day.”

“I’ll make it up to her on the honeymoon,” Sonic then clapped Tails on the shoulder. “And thanks for being my best man, best bud.”

Tails had a look of pride. “Thanks, I know I’m a little unorthodox considering I’m actually twelve, but it means a lot that you trust me with this.”

“Is my Son here yet?” Jules said as he came in. “Oh good, we need to talk privately.”

“We’re kind of behind schedule as it is,” said Antione. “Can it wait?”

“No, it has to be now. Just have the groomsmen ready, it should only be a couple of minutes.” Tails sighed as the other men filed out of the room. “Well look at you, my son’s ready to take the plunge. Your mother’s been crying non-stop since we woke up this morning.”

“Dad I know that this is a very emotional time for her, but I know you’re both happy for us. You didn’t to have talk to me alone about that.”

“No but Marriage entails certain things, things that are best taught Father to Son…”

Sonic waved his hands. “Uh Dad you don’t have to give me ‘the talk’. Rosie and Julayla gave it to all the kids at Knothole whose parents couldn’t…”

“True but when a man gets married, he usually turns to an older male, usually his father, to provide his own experience, to give ‘pointers’ as it were. Think of it as ‘the talk 102’.”

Sonic was now sweating bullets. “I think I can figure that sort of thing out…”

“I remember being so nervous and then your grandpa gave me some advice and then when the moment came it didn’t seem so intimidating. I wasn’t able to do much for you growing up so let me do this for you like your grandfather did for me.”

“Seriously I fought world ending monsters, intimidation is not a factor so I should probably...”

“No way of it! Now let me tell you about this one time me and your mother really got close, it was about nine months before…come to think of it that was probably when you were conceived.”

“Kill me now,” Sonic thought. “I bet Sally isn’t stressing this much.”


In another room Sally was wearing a beautiful wedding gown and had grown her hair long again. She made for a beautiful sight or would have if she wasn’t hunched over a Miles Electric.

“The Desert Raiders got the extra food supplies for those orphans…”

“Sally,” Bunnie said as she and Nicole stood nearby in fine pink dresses.

“Furville has been quiet since that Metal Sonic false alarm…”

“Sally-girl.”

“Has that joint training exercise with GUN in Boreia been scheduled yet?”

 “SALLY!”

“What?!”

Nicole walked up and grabbed the terminal. “As someone whose whole life has been technology literally since I was born you know I’m being serious when I say this. You need to unplug, put, the, tablet, down!”

Sally sighed as she did as she was told. “Sorry, it’s just tomorrow Sonic and I will be going on our two-week honeymoon at the Emerald Coast Resort in Station Square, I want everything to run smoothly while we’re gone.”

“Sally-girl if you trusted me to be your Matron of Honor than you can trust me and the team to handle things on our own for a while. So, from now until you get back from your trip you have our full permission to be a little selfish, you deserve a storybook wedding and a honeymoon where the only question that should pop into your head should be ‘what fun thing should me and my husband do next’.”

Sally got a dream like expression. “Yes, there’s a part of me that wants to be that storybook princess,” the dream like expression was then replaced with a sour face. “But another part is worried that Robotnick is going to use that opportunity to do something awful. Other than his forces holding his own territory Viktor has been WAY too quiet lately, he’s up to something.”

“Your brother and the Secret Freedom Fighters already have contacts on standby,” said Nicole. “If Robotnick so much as sneezes we’ll be able to respond before he gets the chance to blow his pointy little nose.”

There was a knock on the door. “Come in,” said Sally.

Amy entered in her own bridesmaid dress followed by Julie-su who was in traditional echidna wedding garb. “Sonic just got here,” said Amy. “He was held up by a few minor disasters, but we should be ready to get this show on the road.”

“Thank you, Amy. We wouldn’t even have a groom if it wasn’t for you. If you hadn’t accidently gone with Sonic to help the Zone Cops a month ago, he might not have made it back.”

Amy sat down at the memory. “What a ride, one zone where everyone was a Robian fighting against doctor Bionick who was trying to turn them into hideous biomutants, one where all the Freedom Fighters were just pencil pushing office workers straining under the bad working conditions of Eggman Enterprises, one that was the same as this world except everyone was the opposite sex, then we helped a world Sonic went to before where his counterpart was a prince with that Sonic’s brother and sister and we overthrew their Robotnick and put their mother back on the throne.”

“I was particularly drawn by what he told me about that one,” Sally then sighed. “Sonia and Manic, such nice names.”

“Well Queen Aleena really helped set me straight with Lucian, she was such a fountain of good advice that I called him as soon as I got back, and he was on the way home the very next day. I really hope I can honor her someday, somehow.”

“Thank you too Julie,” Sally said. “I know this isn’t your usual thing but since Knuckles is an old friend of mine, I wanted him here to help and it wouldn’t feel right to have him be a groomsman for Sonic without him being next to you in the procession.”

“It’s no problem,” Julie-su said while looking at her own wedding ring. “I was never much one for tradition, either the Dark Legion’s or those of Angel Island, I just brushed off marriage as archaic. ‘If you’re committed to each other that should be enough, you don’t need some dated ceremony or piece of paper to prove it’, that’s what I thought. But after thinking I was one of Shade’s rebels for a while, I began to get what Knuckles saw in tradition that it can be a source of strength and stability. Sometimes a tradition can outlive its value, but now that I did get married, I can’t imagine us being together any other way. I want you have that feeling too and I can’t wait to see where Knuckles and I go from here.”

“Well, enough reminiscing, time to become Mrs. Sonic the Hedgehog. But first,” Sally picked put on an old gold crown with a veil from the vanity. “My grandmother’s tiara, something old…” she took another look at the gown. “The latest dress design by Honey the Cat, something new…”

Bunnie walked to Sally. “A bit of my favorite lipstick.”

Sally puckered up as Bunnie applied the lipstick and gave an air kiss. “Something barrowed…”

“And something blue,” Sonic said from the door. “You look amazing Sally.”

“You clean up real nice yourself,” Sally gave Sonic a peck on the check. “Everything going well?”

Sonic groaned. “My dad just told me more about his and mom’s bedroom habits than I wanted to know, by which I mean more than nothing.”

Sally groaned herself. “My mother did the same thing to me during the bachelorette party, let’s promise each other that when we have our own kids, we will never humiliate them.”

“Should be easy, I’m going to be the most way past cool dad ever.”

“Alright everyone,” said Nicole. “Photo time Megan and Elias are waiting for us. I hope the guests won’t mind waiting another few minutes.


“Mi, mi, mi, mi, miiiiiiii…” Mina sang they she and many of the Freedom Fighter’s friends waited lakeside along with several other guests.

“Sweetie Note,” said Ash. “The reception isn’t going to be for hours; you don’t have to warm up right now.”

“I know but… I owe so much to Sonic, especially after what we did on Angel Island. Now I really know how Nicole felt, being made to act like someone you really weren’t. To be able to sing for his wedding reception, I’d like it to be perfect to make up for it.”

Ash held her hand. “It will be, as long as it’s coming from you.” He then looked away. “But I get what you mean, I already acted like a jerk to Sonic before but listen to one speech and I was ready to cross the line to outright treason.”

“Hey, don’t sweat it!” said a said a yellow cat with black hair in a fancy red dress.

“Whoa!” Mina shouted. “Honey you scared us!”

“Sorry, but there’s no way I’m letting the two of you feel down about yourselves! Not since my business took off like a rocket after you started wearing ‘Cutie by Honey’ to all your concerts Mina! Besides the next day practically everybody got brainboggled, if we lock up everyone who turned traitor because of what that Specter guy did we’d all be wearing prison orange right now, gag!”

Mina smiled. “Thanks Honey, you really are a good friend.”

“There you are Honey!” Vector said as he came up. “I was worried you got lost on your way here.”

Honey gave Vector a big hug. “No need to worry about me my groovy gator!”

“Uh, Crocodile.” Vector sighed before thinking to himself. “We’ve been going out for months now and she still can’t get it right.”

“Anyway,” said Mina. “Thanks for the confidence boost, now I know I’ll my best at the reception.

“And with me as your DJ it’s bound to bring the house down when it’s party time!” said Vector. “Think you can keep up my beats?”

Mina had a sly smile. “Sure, I’ll slow down for you.”

Honey then pouted. “How much longer do we have to wait Vector?! I want to see the Princess go down the aisle in my dress! That’ll make every girl want to wear ‘Cutie by Honey’!”

“I’m sure it’s just a minor problem Honey,” said Vector. “I bet they’ll open up soon.”

Cream laughed out. “It’s wonderful that so many of Mr. Sonic and Ms. Sally’s friends could be here. But I wonder where Mr. Shadow, Ms. Rouge and Mr. Omega are?”

“Well, this isn’t really Omega’s thing,” said Hope. “And Shadow prefers to keep his feelings close to his chest, I don’t think he’d want Sonic to think he was happy for him. Still Rouge said she’d be coming after she finished going through the guest list for GUN’s security perimeter. All the other guests have arrived, the job should be done by now.”

“Miss Hope!”

Both everyone turned to see what looked like a mobian sized stringless marionette puppet with red hair, a yarn like tail and a red glassy nose wearing a green cap and green overalls running towards them on its own attracting the crowd.

“What is that?” asked Ray.

“Belle?” said Hope.

The marionette stopped in front of them. “Miss Hope, I messed up! Oh splinters, you should have gotten this sooner!”

“It’s fine Belle, not the end of the world. And please don’t call me miss, I want to be your friend as much as your creator. Sometimes I think I programmed you to be TOO polite.”

“Chao, Chao!” said Cheese.

“You’re right Cheese,” said Cream. “She is a robot.”

“You made her all by yourself Hope?” said Marine. “Out of wood?”

Hope nodded. “I’m working for the Kintobor family name to be remembered for good things too, but I realized I couldn’t really call myself a Kintobor inventor without making my own AI. So, inspired by one of my favorite stories Pinocchio, I made Belle here to be my assistant. She’s not completely wooden, just the outer casing and some of the endoskeleton, the rest is pretty much on par with anything Viktor can make.”

“Oh right!” Belle then did a bow. “It is very nice to meet you all, sorry about not looking right for a wedding, I don’t get out of the lab much.”

“Wonder if Omega feels like he’s being replaced with all this?” asked Charmy.

Belle then started waving her hands defensively “Oh no! I would never do that, could never do that! Not only would that be rude, but I have no combat capability, just a bunch of tools in my fingertips! I help Team Dark with maintenance and repairs, that’s it.” Belle then smiled. “But if Omega gets damaged you can be sure as circuits that I’ll patch him right back up again!”

“Belle you said something about me getting something?” asked Hope.

“Of course! Miss Rouge called the hotel, she said wasn’t coming. Something about a sudden mission for Team Dark.”

“Really?” said Uncle Chuck. “I hope it isn’t anything that could interrupt Sonic and Sally’s honeymoon.”

“She was mum on the details except…”

Hope raised an eyebrow. “Belle what’s wrong?"

“…well, there was another reason but the way she said it was well, rude.”

“That doesn’t sound like her, why don’t you tell us?”

“Ok, but I don’t like it. Her exact words were…” Belle then spoke in a perfect imitation of Rouge’s voice. “I looked at one of the first drafts for the wedding entourage and I don’t want to go to a wedding where they even considered making that trampy vixen a bridesmaid.”

“She said WHAT?!” Fiona yelled. “OH!”

“They had good reasons for leaving you out,” said Dulcy. “The only reason I wasn’t chosen was because as a head of state they didn’t want to make it look like the Republic was playing favorites.”

“I don’t care about the bridesmaid thing! What gets me is the nerve of ROUGE of all people calling someone ‘trampy’! Next time I see that dingbat I’m stringing her up by her wings!”

“Whoa Fi take it easy!” said Mighty. “Listen you set yourself free of all of your bad past influences except for one blind spot. This rivalry you have with Rouge has got to end, neither of you are thieves anymore you have to stop bringing it up.”

“Tell that to her! Every time she has the chance, she brings up how she was always better than me or always beat me and Nic to the punch, she’s the one not letting go! Sure, I might have gloated a couple of times when something bad happened to her, but she’s way worse!”

“Look she isn’t here, you are, just forget about her for now and let’s be happy for Sonic and Sally.”

Fiona took a deep breath. “You’re right, about today anyway. This is about Sonic and Sally and if the dingbat doesn’t want to be here because of me then it’s her loss.”

“Well thank you for delivering the message Belle,” said Hope. “We’ll head back after the ceremony and reception.”

Belle gasped. “But I didn’t get an invitation! I’d be a wedding crasher, that’s just so rude!”

“I’m sure Rouge wouldn’t mind you using her invite. Come on, we’re celebrating.”

“Me, invited to the biggest wedding in all of Mobius?! Gears and starters, thank you Miss Hope!” Belle then gasped again. “I mean just Hope, oh splinters!”

This elicited laughs from the crowd.

Silver tugged at the collar of the fancy uniform he was wearing. “I know formal clothing is a thing at these sorts of events Gardon,” he said to a grey koala in a blue uniform and holding a spear. Then pointed to the sheathed sword he was carrying his waist. “But lugging this around feels impractical for a wedding.”

Gardon puffed out his chest. “But you have to wear your sword, it is your badge of knighthood Sir Silver.”

Silver turned to Blaze. “I’m still not comfortable with this whole being knighted thing, it feels like I haven’t actually done anything to deserve it.”

“Yes, you did,” said Blaze. “You were the one who saved me from my brainbox back during the Phantom Ruby War.”

“You rescued the reigning monarch of the kingdom,” said Geoffrey. “If you ask me that’s textbook criteria for earning a knighthood."

“And I couldn’t be prouder,” said Lucian. “To think it was only months ago I held you in my arms. Trust me you deserve it.”

“Maybe but we both know the real reason why you did it Blaze, so the people of the Sol Kingdom wouldn’t make a big deal out of you dating a commoner, let alone being soultouched with him.”

Blaze took Silver’s hand. “What are you talking about? The people love you, they see how you make me happy and are encouraging our relationship, if anything you not being knighted would have made me look ungrateful.”

“I don’t imagine them seeing you that way,” said Hershey. “All I saw when we visited your home were people who were grateful for providing them the means to live peaceful lives, you did what you did because you were grateful too.”

Silver still had a wistful look “It’s just I liked us as we were in the future, don’t get me wrong the last two months have been great, but now there’s just so much…politics, getting tangled into our relationship.”

Blaze sighed. “As much as I had grown into it, I admit sometimes all the pomp and circumstance can be tiring, I began adventuring with Marine in part to get a break from all the ceremony.”

Silver smiled. “Well as long as I’m with you I guess I can handle it, who knows I might actually get used to being called ‘Prince Silver’.”

Blaze blushed. “Uh, actually…the way it works in the Sol Kingdom once I get married, I’ll go from princess to full blown queen…they’d call you ‘King Silver’.”

Silver’s sword was the only thing that kept him from falling over completely. “King!?!”

“I mean it shouldn’t be that big a deal,” said Lucian. “You’re already related to royalty on your mother’s side of the family.”

Silver looked dumbstruck. “Oh right, grandma was a princess too. I forgot all about that.”

“Well, everyone back home thinks it’s a great match and a wonderful story!” said Gardon. “Our beloved princess, after many years of searching, had found not only her long-lost parents but her one true love as well! Oh, how we look forward to the day when we hear the pitter patter of the next guardian’s little feet toddling around the castle as…”

Gardon was then meet with five killer stares.

“…I’m going to stop talking now.”

“Sorry for the wait everyone!” Megan said from a door leading into the lodge, she was dressed as a bridesmaid and she was starting to get heavy with pregnancy.

“Seating for the ceremony will begin shortly,” said Elias who himself was dressed as a groomsman. “The bride and groom will personally great our honored guests from abroad, once that has finished please form a line and an usher will be by to escort you to your seat.”

“So, a bunch of people Sonic and Sally haven’t or barely met get special treatment while their friends still have to wait?” said Ray.

“Well, I guess that’s what fancy titles get ya,” said Marine.

“Titles don’t matter,” said Espio. “What does is that we carry our obligation forward.”

“Duty first, even in such romantic times,” said Liza. “But that’s just one of the things I love about you.”

“Let’s go everyone,” said Saffron. “We’ve waited long enough as it is!”

The crowd lined up to enter.


Tails and Bunnie looked on as the Sonic shook hands with the United Federation president. “Well, every wedding usually has one thing go wrong,” said Bunnie. “But if all we had to worry about was us going off schedule because Sonic had to take care of some lowlifes, I’d say we did a pretty good job Sugar-Fox.”

“Yup,” said Tails. “We made a pretty good team, once the procession is done then it’s all in Councilor Pythagoras’ hands to officiate and Sonic and Sally’s to do their parts until we get to the reception, then I just have to give my speech.”

“And I’m betting by then enough folks will be tipsy enough that if anything gets messed up, they’ll be in too good a mood to care.”

“And I already have the new tornado fueled up, with cans and ‘just married’ sign tied to the tail for them to fly off into the sunset when it’s over.”

“Yup smooth sailin’ from here.”

“Finally, other people!” said a male bat of around ten with black fur and red highlights as he came running up behind them. “Can I use your phone? There’s these weird goons chasing…”

Tails and Bunnie turned around and the bat looked like he was caught in the headlights as saw Bunnie and Tails faces as well as the wedding tent behind them.

“…aww, crash!” He then put his hand behind his head, closed his eyes and gave an obviously fake smile. “Uh, never mind! I’ll just find another phone! Congratulations to the lovely couple!”

The bat turned and began running away.

“Hold it!” Bunnie extended her mechanical arm and grabbed the young bat by the scuff of his neck before pulling him back and going around a corner of the lodge where the wedding goers wouldn’t notice. “This area’s off limits to folks not on the guest list! I don’t know what your deal is, but it sounds like there’s trouble, and Freedom Fighters don’t stand by when there is trouble!”

The bat twitched around but then breathed deeply and began talking to himself. “It’s ok Dusk, the whole thing’s crust but stay whelm and we’ll all get through this.”

“Crust? Whelm?” said Tails. “Are we even speaking the same language?”

The bat then looked focused on Bunnie and Tails. “Alright, me, my sister and our friends, well acquaintances actually, were camping last night when these goons started chasing us. I finally managed to get away but they’re relentless; I went looking for help until I stumbled onto here so if we can just call the cops…”

“The nearest police station is miles away,” said Bunnie. “We picked this spot to have the wedding because it was beautiful AND isolated. What were you kids doing camping out this far anywho?”

“Uhhhh…our parents thought we needed to get away from it all?”

“He’s hidin’ somethin’.”

“Look I know this sounds crust…”

“Again,” said Tails. “Crust?”

“Flaky, crazy, weird, take your pick! Look my sister said she wanted to fight them off, I told her it was crust but when Gleam decides to do something changing her mind’s almost impossible.”

Bunnie growled. “Tails tell the other Freedom Fighters in the procession the situation, we got to find guests who can slip out unnoticed while everyone’s focused on the ceremony then follow…” Bunnie turned to the bat again. “What did you say your name was again?”

“Uh, Dusk?” the Bat said nervously.

“Right,” Bunnie turned back to Tails. “Guests to follow Dusk here so they save those kids and clean the clocks of those crooks. Above everything else Sonic and Sally-girl can’t know ANYTHING is going on until Sugar-Hog kisses the bride.”

“Actually, I think I’d prefer if Sonic comes himself,” said Dusk. “These guys have seriously mad skills and weapons that are more crust than the ones in Omniwarrior Tournament Revenge Deluxe Edition.”

“What?” asked Tails.

“Never mind!”

“Listen this is my best bros’ big day, and NOTHING is going to ruin it for him! As many ups and downs as he and Aunt Sally have had they deserve a perfect wedding!”

“Plus, Sally was already making herself stressed out with worry that something might go wrong during her honeymoon,” said Bunnie. “If she finds out there was an incident during the wedding itself, she’ll get herself so worked up that she could have a nervous breakdown!”

Dusk looked to the side. “Now that you mention it, that’d be a bad idea.”

“Alright then, better get a team together and out there fast!”


A short time later a Espio and Liza were jumping from branch to branch in the forest. “How are the rest of you holding up back there?!” said the Pink Chameleon.

“Ok so far!” said Charmy as he and Saffron flew up to them. “I didn’t expect to have to save a few errant campers when I R.S.V.P.’d but hey at least Sonic’ll have a story to tell his kids when we let ‘em know once everything’s over with!”

“Come on!” said Honey as she followed. “We gotta pick up the pace to thrash those thugs! If this ends up ruining the wedding, I’m going to make them pay for every dress I didn’t get to sell!”

“Are you sure about this?” said Saffron. “I mean you’re not a fighter from what I heard.”

“Don’t worry about me! I was raised in my grandpa’s dojo, I know plenty of marital arts, the only reason I didn’t try joining the Freedom Fighters was because I thought I’d lose it if I ended up hurting someone. Fashion may be my passion but I’m not going turn away from someone who needs help if I can give it!”

“Good for you!” Belle said as she struggled to keep up. “I don’t even know why Miss, I’m sorry, Hope even asked me to go along with this! I wasn’t built to fight!”

“Your job is to get those kids out of there quickly and safely,” said Lucian as Gold levitated close behind him. “Hope gave you that aqua shield for that reason.”

Belle looked at the device now on her wrist. “Got it, grab them and run away, sounds simple enough.”

“Hey kid!” Espio yelled. “How close are we to the target?!”

Dusk flew ahead of the pack. “We’re almost to where Gleam said she was going to hold them off, everyone else split up but I don’t if know any of them managed to get away!”

“Aw, splinters!” said Belle. “That means they could have been captured, gotten lost or worse! How am I going to find them all?!”

“Don’t worry Belle, you’re great at playing hide and seek!” said Dusk. “I bet you can find ‘em in no time flat!”

“But I never played hide-and-seek before, I was only first activated last month!”

Dusk had a nervous look on his face. “Uhhhh…Hey I see Gleam up ahead!” He then went from nervous to panicked. “And one of those creeps are closing in on her and we’re still far off!”

“No time to waste then!” said Espio. “Pour it on!”

“Hang on Gleam,” Dusk shouted. “We’re comin’!”


A white hedgehog girl with purple highlights, a purple top with orange cross-shaped star on the front and a belt holding up a noticeably short red skirt was breathing hard in the middle of the woods. “Is that all you got snotpill?!” she taunted. “I’ve been putting up harder fights since I was five!”

A coyote in a full black bodysuit wearing a full helmet with a visor stepped forward from the trees. “We’ve been going EXTREMELY easy on you this whole time, but even our patience has limits. You can rectify the situation now, tell us which of your little friends has that data capsule and where they went. Once we have that we’ll take all of you home safe and sound, you have my promise.”

“Go pound sand!” the white hedgehog spat. “Red might have gotten us into this mess but from what she says that gizmo’s too important to let you guys have it!”

“Last chance, if you don’t give us that capsule, you’re in for a world of hurt.”

“Heh, you think that scares me?! Sure, I’m still a kid but I’m a kid who’s been to Hell and back, so go on stop holding back on me!”

“You’ve been holding back too, even when protecting your little friends…”

“I wouldn’t call ‘em friends!”

“…even when your efforts haven’t amounted to anything you are limiting yourself. I think you are scared, not of us but what you can do. I don’t have to scare you when it seems like you’ve already done a good job of that yourself.”

The white hedgehog took a brief look at her hand then closed her eyes. “No! I won’t let you get into my head!”

“I’ve been in your head since we met, you’re an open book. But if words won’t do it…” A sharp looking blade extended from the coyote’s left arm. “…then let’s see if you’ll cut loose before I cut you!”

The coyote was almost instantly on top of hedgehog who was still beginning to clench her fist.

“Gleam!”

A spiked fist hit the masked coyote on his helmeted head knocking him back. Gleam looked up and saw a red echidna girl her age with pink hair in a braid going down one side of her face, a pair of glasses on her nose and a black jacket over black shirt still clenching her fist.

“Keep away from her you freak!”

Gleam growled. “I was gonna deal with that punk Lara, you were supposed to run away! Back off, I don’t need you to save me, I NEVER needed you to save me!”

Lara huffed. “I saw you were in trouble and came to help you jerk! I guess it’s my fault for expecting YOU of all people to be grateful!”

“Trouble in paradise?” said the coyote as he got back up. “That was a lucky shot but don’t expect your luck to hold for…”

“Hang on Gleam, we’re comin’!”

Dusk came in as the Freedom Fighters arrived behind them.

“More complications,” said the coyote.

As soon as she saw the coyote Gold began going pale. “No,” she whispered to herself. “Not here, not now!”

“You ok sweetie?” said Lucian.

“Uh, sure.” Gold said. “I just don’t think we should underestimate this guy.” She then started thinking to herself. “There’s seven of us not counting Belle and the kids, we SHOULD be able to handle one rectifier.”

“Whatever is going on attacking children is unacceptable,” said Espio. “Give yourself up before we resort to violence.”

“The situation is not what these children make it out to be,” said the rectifier. “They took something that doesn’t belong to them, a small handheld device. It is meaningless to you but particularly important to us. Once we have it, we’ll leave.”

“It doesn’t belong to you either!” yelled Lara. “Don’t listen to him! They kidnapped our whole camp to try to get their hands on it! It was hard enough for five of us to escape!”

Liza turned to Dusk. “And you didn’t mention this why?!”

Dusk started sweating. “I was breaking our problem into steps! Step one was getting help for the kids who escaped! Step two’s…a work in progress.”

Gleam groaned. “My brother, the dingbat.”

“You all look like rational adults,” said the rectifier. “Have them give us the data capsule and the others will be released.”

“Yeah, like we’re supposed to trust you!” yelled Lara.

“Are you kidding me?!” yelled Honey. “Even if what you’re saying is true and they stole something from you kidnapping children is unforgivable! We’re not going to let you get away with this!”

“Besides,” said Charmy. “We have you seriously outnumbered, surrender now!”

“It looks like diplomacy has failed, but the numerical disadvantage is something easily remedied.” The rectifier then touched the side of his helmet. “Zeta one to pursuit squad, I am about to engage multiple hostiles. All available units converge on my location!”

Suddenly more rectifiers joined Zeta one; two chameleons, a rabbit, a crocodile, a racoon, and a tenrec; all appeared around them.

“Preparing to rectify,” they all said.

{Silver, Blaze!} Gold said through her mental link.


“Dearly beloved,” Pythagoras said up at the altar as Sonic and Sally looked lovingly at each other. “We are gathered here today to join this man and this woman in holy matrimony.”

{Gold the ceremony has already started}. Silver thought back to his sister. {Haven’t you found those kids yet?}

{The guys that are threatening those kids are rectifiers!}

“RECTIFIERS?!” Silver shouted as he bolted upright.

The everyone at the wedding stared at the psychic hedgehog.

Blaze got up holding her rear with both hands. “Uh yeah, recti-fire!” she said while groaning. “I got it too, we shouldn’t have ordered those El Diablo de la Muerte Burritos last night! We’re sorry about this, gotta go!”

Taking the hint Silver got up and made like he was also having digestive issues before they left towards the bathrooms, Sonic and Sally looking very annoyed while Amy, Geoffrey and Hershey looked equal parts concerned and embarrassed. Once the two were out of the tent the act was quickly dropped.

{What are you talking about Gold?} Silver said. {Sonic survived that attack on his heart, there shouldn’t be any rectifiers at all, let alone in this period!}

{I don’t get it Gold,} asked Marine. {What are rectifiers?}

Gold mentally sighed. {The rectifiers are the super elite soldiers of the Mobius Imperium.}

{But how can there be elite Imperium soldiers if we stopped the Imperium from ever existing?}

{Well, we never found The Interloper for one. But maybe it was like Master Mogul said, Sonic’s death might have been arranged because he was going to stop something that wasn’t supposed to happen, maybe the Imperium won’t go away until he does what he’s supposed to.}

{And now me might have our only clue,} said Blaze. {Whatever reason the rectifiers went back in time for. They’re attacking kids, Why?}

{They’re after some sort of data capsule these kids found, needless to say nobody is forthcoming on details.}

{Ok, Blaze and I already made an excuse,} said Silver. {We’ll just make our way…}

{No! We’re already dealing with seven of them! The only reason that we’re not dead already is that they’re probably holding back so they don’t mess with their timeline! But if they start heading your way you need to stop the wedding and get everyone out of there!}

{Stop the wedding?!} said Blaze {But the only reason Bunnie and Tails sent you guys was just so the wedding can keep going!}

{The Groom living is probably the biggest threat to the Imperium, if you think calling off the wedding would be bad, try having Sally potentially go from bride to widow in less than a minute! We’ll try to hold them off maybe I can even get my hands on that capsule. If they start going your way, I’ll send a warning, once you get that or…you don’t hear from me in a while assume the worst and get everyone out of there! All of you promise me!}

{All right sis,} said Silver. {But you better bring Dad and everyone else back alive!} He then turned to Blaze. “We better just stick around the foyer and move if we need to, we already made this wedding awkward enough.”


“Hey!” said the rabbit lady rectifier. “The fight’s over here!”

She threw a right hook that felled an old dead tree.

“Whatever you have planned I will not let you do to the past what you did to the future!”

“Yes, we have you on file. But if you think any time or place is safe from us think again!”

Her right arm changed into a cannon that began charging. Gold had just enough time to levitate high enough to avoid the high-powered blast that then blew apart a nearby rockface.


“If any present has reason for these two not to be lawfully wed,” said Pythagoras. “Speak now or forever hold your peace.”

The tent was silent as Sonic and Sally looked into each other’s eyes, only for it to be broken by a distant boom.

“Did you hear that?” asked Sally.

“WHAT EXPLOSION?!” Tails blurted out.

The bride and groom turned to the nervous best man looking confused.

Bunnie the whispered to Pythagoras. “Keep going!”

“Uh, marriage is a commitment not to be taken lightly…” the goat continued getting everyone’s attention back.


“Take this, Paws of Fury!” Honey began rapidly punching at the coyote rectifier. He seemed take the blows before trying another swipe with his arm blade. Honey managed to roll out of the way, though her pigtails were now slightly shorter.

The male raccoon made an orb of water before launching it at Charmy and Saffron who were only able to avoid it by shrinking down.

“They have adepts as well as legionized goons?” said Saffron. “Who are these guys?!” 

Belle pulled at Lara and Gleam. “Ok, let’s get you out of here!”

“We can’t leave without Sonia and Manik!” said Lara. “More of these guys could be out there!”

“I promise we’ll find them but first, LOOK OUT!”

Belle covered the girls and turned on the aqua shield before the croc rectifier curled into a ring and had his back scutes cut into it like a buzzsaw. The shield shut down after he was bounced back.

“He broke it in one hit! Oh, splinters we’re in trouble, run!”

Espio and Liza squared off against the two chameleon rectifiers. “So, who are you?” asked Liza. “Renegade shinobi or some chameleons who fancy themselves ninja?”

“Say Phi one,” one rectifier said to another. “You know who these two are, what say we have some fun with them.”

“I get what you’re saying Chi one,” the other responded. “It should be fine as long as we don’t hurt them TOO badly.”

They both leapt away before beginning to quickly circle around each other closer and closer. “HIDDEN ART! VANISHING FUSION!”

On they ran into each they vanished in a puff of smoke only be replaced by human sized chameleon rectifier. “Get ready, Phi-Chi is on the attack!” she said in a gestalt voice.

It was all Espio could do to avoid a high-speed kunai strike. “How did you two learn that technique?! I heard that no shinobi alive today could master it!”

“If we told, we’d be breaking your code!” the combined ninja said. “Just fall before our combined strength and speed!” They then moved so fast that almost as soon as they punched Espio in the gut they turned around and did the same to Liza.

Lucian’s eyes glowed aqua as he and the female tenrec rectifier got into a fist fight. His vision shown him a high kick coming for his head. “Gotcha!” He moved to grab her leg only to feel his legs swept out from under him. “Why isn’t my future vision working?! It’s like whatever happens she does something completely different!”

Gold going into old habits she tried to use telepathy on the rectifiers even if a second later she reminded herself they could resist psychic influence. But a sort of echo in that second was all it took to make a major realization. “Dad, there’s nothing wrong with your visions! She’s a telepath like me, she’s reading your mind!”

“Which means as soon as I see the future she does too and can adjust! Thanks!”

“A telepathic Tenrec like me?” Gold thought. “Then maybe it’s true that…”

Gold found herself crumbling to her knees as she felt her mind assaulted. The two rectifiers they were fighting had switched targets, the tenrec glared at her from behind the helmet. “Nobody likes a tattletale.”

Gold tried to mentally find any sort of escape from the assault. {Help! Please!}


{Help! Please!}

“Goldie?” Big said as he got up pushing the people next to him out of the way. He left the tent out of the quickest way bowling a few people over drawing everyone’s attention.

Sonic scowled. “Did everybody have that burrito last night!?” he muttered.

“This doesn’t happen in the storybooks,” muttered Bunnie.

Sally looked concerned. “Is there something we should know about? I mean I just noticed we’re down a few guests…”

“NOPE EVERYTHING’S FINE!” blurted Tails. Before whispering to Pythagoras. “Just keep going!”

The goat spoke up again. “Uh, as Sonic and Sally are well aware life throws challenges at us…”


The crocodile rectifier came closer to Bella, Lara, Dusk and Gleam. “You really think you can protect them from me?”

“N-no,” said Belle. “But I can be repaired or rebuilt, so if…”

“Just let me at ‘em!” said Gleam. “I don’t need a babysitter; I can take care of myself!”

“Sis we’re seriously outmatched here!” said Dusk as he held Gleam back. “We gotta book it while the Freedom Fighters do their thing!”

“Freedom Fighters?!” said Lara. “But they look…crash and burn! Dusk, just what is going on here?!”

“I’ll explain later or try to, I don’t even know!”

“Hand it over,” said the rectifier. “Or tell me who does have it.”

“Hang on Goldie I’m coming!” Big said as he knocked over the croc without even looking and proceeded to do the same to every rectifier between him and Gold. He stopped over at the Tenrec. “You ok?”

Gold shook her head. “Big? Of course, the one-on-one link we made. You shouldn’t be here everyone at the wedding will have noticed.”

“I’m sorry, but you’re safe now.”

“Oh Big,” she then gasped and pointed past him. “I’m afraid neither of us are safe just yet!”

The rectifiers the cat bowled over had all gotten back on their feet. “Seriously what’s it going to take to get these guys to stay down?!” said Honey.

“We need to render them unconscious,” said the Rabbit. “Then we search the brats at our leisure.”

“Good plan Zeta two,” said Zeta one. “Alright squad prepare to…”

“This is Alpha two.” said a voice coming the rectifiers’ helmets. “Mission parameters have been updated, hold position and await my arrival.”

After the chameleons split apart all the rectifiers leapt back from the Freedom Fighters but maintained a fighting stance. “Compliance.”

Suddenly another rectifier, a chipmunk woman, appeared standing on a tree branch above her comrades. In each hand she held a child of about ten; one was a blue hedgehog with streaks of red in his quills wearing a Red Jacket, in the other hand was a chipmunk girl with red hair, purple Jacket and matching boots.

“Manik! Sonia!” yelled Lara. “Let them go snotpill!”

Alpha two let her grip slip enough to show her hostages would be in for a long drop. “Care to rephrase that?”

Lara and Gleam both growled.

“Don’t worry about us!” said Sonia. “Just run away!”

“Commander,” said the racoon. “According to my scans, none of them have the device.”

Alpha two glared at the kids in her hands. “We picked up its signature when you fled our base, where is it?!”

“I buried it after we split up,” laughed Manik. “Do your worst to me, I’ll never tell you so good luck finding it!”

“No, the situation calls for an alternative approach.” Alpha two turned to Charmy and Saffron. “You two fly up here, slowly, then I’ll hand them over.”

“Wait,” said Charmy. “You’re just giving up?”

“Consider it a sign of good faith, after all we have plenty more hostages where these kids came from. Five camp counselors and over a couple dozen kids to be precise.”

“How can the situation get both better and so much worse at the same time?!” said Saffron.

“Up here, now! Once you have them, I’ll provide you the instructions for the release of the remaining hostages.”

Espio growled. “We have no choice, not with so many lives at stake. Do it.”

Charmy and Saffron flew up took the two kids and set them down with the other three.

“Manik man I’m so glad you’re alive right now!” Dusk cried. “I’ve been a total heat sink about…”

“It’s ok Dusk,” said Manik. “Sometimes even friends as good as we are rub each other the wrong way.”

“Now for our demands, these are non-negotiable” said Alpha two before tapping holograms that appeared on her sleeve.

“Whoa!” said Belle. “She just uploaded a set of co-ordinates into my processor!”

“That is where our mobile base will be for the next forty-eight hours. Send whatever representatives you want WITH the data capsule. Once we have it and can confirm its contents, we’ll release the hostages. No guarantees after the forty-eight hours are up though and don’t try any funny business with the capsule either, we’ll know if you brought a fake. After that we’ll be on our way,” She then turned to Gold. “And I highly recommend you stay out of it for the duration of our mission.”

“We’ll relay your message,” said Lucian. “But don’t think you’ll get away with this.”

Alpha two then turned to her troops. “All units, transmat back to base!”

“Compliance!”

The rectifiers all vanished in a flash of light.

“I don’t get it,” said Big. “Did we win or lose?”

“Neither” said Gold. “They just called time out for now.” She then turned to the kids. “You better show us where you buried that thing. We’ll let you hold onto it for now, but you owe us and our friends an explanation.”

Lara nodded. “As much I have to give at least.”


Once everyone arrived back, they peeked into the tent the ceremony was being held in.

“…I now pronounce you husband and wife; you may kiss the bride.”

Sonic and Sally leaned into a deep passionate kiss as the guests all broke into applause.

“Wait a minute,” whispered Sonia. “Are we seeing…?”

“Told you things got crust,” said Dusk.

“This goes way beyond crust Dusk,” Gleam said before turning to Lara. “I’m blaming you Red, you just couldn’t leave it well enough alone. You have to be the center of attention everywhere, don’t you?!”

“Hey, I didn’t bring us here!” said Lara. “Those guys who grabbed us did!”

“Only because you didn’t just throw that thing in the trash like the piece of junk it is!”

“Alright you kids, we’re going to put you in a little side room for now,” said Blaze. “Me, Silver and Gold will be by once the reception gets going to discuss what’s going on in detail.”

“Why?” asked Lucian. “Couldn’t we get Bunnie or Knuckles to look into this?”

“We want to do it,” Silver said looking at Lara in particular. “I hate to say it, but it might mean we left a job half done and we need know more to be sure.”

Lucian nodded. “Say no more, just let us know once you do find something out.”

“Ok kids,” said Belle. “Follow me and I’ll get you some snacks and something to drink.”

As the kids were taken to the lodge Sonic and Sally came out of the tent followed by the precession.

“Hey guys,” said Sonic. “Glad to see a lot of you feeling better but you totally missed the main event.”

“Uh, sorry about that,” said Silver. “I’d hate to think we ruined you big day.”

“It’s perfectly fine,” said Sally. “No wedding goes one hundred percent right, to be honest it could have gone a lot worse and I’d have been totally happy so long as Robotnick or another villain didn’t attack us.”

“Well, we took precautions against that,” Tails said rubbing the back of his head. “So, no need to worry about a fight breaking out. Hahaha.”

“Yeah, I was a little miffed,” said Sonic. “But it was just a hiccup, and you weren’t responsible. The only ones who are mad are the stuffed shirts I didn’t really want to come anyway.”

“Well, I need to freshen up a bit while everyone gets seated at the reception,” said Sally. “Thank you both so much for pulling everything together.”

“Same here, looking forward to your speech bud. I better go over mine while ‘my wife’ takes care of business.”

Once Sonic and Sally were out of earshot Tails and Bunnie turned to the rescue team. “Tell me y’all just had to rough a few dumb crooks up, tied ’em up for the authorities and that’s the end of it!”

Espio closed his eyes. “I’m afraid this was more than just a simple case of campers stumbling into a criminal operation. You better get the procession over to hear this, without Sonic we’re going to have our hands full.”

A few moments later they managed to round up not only all the bridesmaids and groomsmen but several other Freedom Fighters and Chaotix as well.

“They have THAT many hostages?!” said Knuckles. “Where did they get them all? Last I checked there wasn’t a summer camp anywhere near here.”

“What matters is who these guys are,” said Silver. “Not only are rectifiers tough customers to deal with but they’re probably after Sonic too.”

“It seems like they didn’t know were holding the wedding here at the very least,” said Amy. “So, we stick with the plan. Keep Sonic and Sally in the dark until they fly off to the hotel for their wedding night and their honeymoon the next morning. It’s a good thing they gave us a whole two days to answer this, gives us enough time to get the happy couple out of the way before we go to the exchange.”

“But do we want to give in to zhese curs demands to save the hostages?” said Antione.

“That’s going to depend a lot on whatever’s in this data capsule thingamajig they’re after,” said Rotor.

“I think I have an idea Rotor,” said Tails. “We find what’s on the capsule itself, then either transfer the data to another storage device or erase it before handing it off in exchange for the hostages. Effectively we’ll be handing them an empty briefcase.”

“Seems like a good plan to me,” said Julie-Su. “First step should be taking a look at what the commotion’s about. You sure letting those kids hang onto it is a good idea Silver?”

Silver nodded. “I thought that it was important to get their trust, the three of us are going to talk to them during the reception speeches, that should give us enough time to get their side of the story while everyone else’s attention will be on Tails, King Max and Sonic, then have them hold onto it and get back in time for the party. That capsule might be our only clue on how Sonic was supposed to prevent the Imperium from forming, I really want to find out what’s on it before we decide if it’s worth the risk of facing the rectifiers to save the hostages and keep them from getting their hands on it.”

“Ok, we’re counting on you three,” said Bunnie. “Compared to what just happened it should easy, as long as Tails goes on for a little bit, Sonic should get into talking long enough that it shouldn’t be too hard. Hope told me Belle, nice name by the way, had put them in the lodge’s office, the rest of us will be in the party tent when it’s over. As for what to do with the kids, we’ll figure that out once Sugar Hog and Sally Girl have left.”

Everyone nodded as they went their separate ways. “Not to be nag but what makes you so sure we can convince them Silver?” asked Blaze as they went into the lodge.

“Well, it’s because I have a little history with one of them. She’s a time traveler too, just from not as far in the future as we’ve come, so it’s a safe bet her friends are too. Now this would be our first meeting from her perceptive, she was a young adult when I met her not a kid, but I think I know enough to get her to convince the others to open up to us.”

“Except maybe for the girl named Gleam,” said Gold. “I got the impression they did not like each other.”

“In any case you’ll probably find out somethings about our friends near future you’ll want to keep under your hat for the kids’ sakes.”

“Not a problem, my ability to protect people’s memories can also let me suppress them as well, keep them buried until certain amount of time has passed, if necessary, I can set it that once we’re done some memories will be buried for a few years.”

They opened a door inside and saw the five kids sitting around a desk, a beat up red and white device was sitting on it.

Silver closed the door behind him and turned to the echidna. “So, what name do you go by? Jani-Ca or Lara-Su?”

“Um Lara,” the girl said. “I guess if we got found out it was probably best it was by you Mr. Silver.”

“Wait,” said Blaze. “That’s Knuckle’s mother’s name and Julie’s maternal family name.”

“Lara here is their daughter,” said Silver. “She just hasn’t been born yet. Now let me guess,” He turned to Sonia and Manik. “Sonic and Sally are your parents,” he then turned to Dusk and Gleam. “And you’re Shadow and Rouge’s children.”

“Right on all counts,” said Manik. “I tell you seeing our mom and dad back when they tied the knot is really crust, but it’s also kinda speed.”

“Something tells me you didn’t go back in time just to see their wedding firsthand,” said Gold. “It has something to do with that gadget you have there and the rectifiers, those guys in black who were chasing you.”

“Yeah,” said Lara. “These guys, they’re from same time you came from aren’t they Mr. Silver?”

“Yes, they’re some of the people who made it not a very good place to live in.”

“Are they like the prelates in that timeline where Enerjack possessed my father and took over the world?”

Silver was wide eyed. “You remember that?!”

“And a couple of others. I was pretty much grownup in all of them and a lot cooler and stronger than I am right now.”

“Figures,” said Gleam. “We’ve been going almost a day without you bragging about it. We get it, you were the best at everything and the world’s greatest hero, not everything revolves around you Red!”

“I never said I was the best at everything Gleam!” Lara then looked away sadly. “Especially now, I’m nowhere near the guardian I was in those timelines. If I was then the others wouldn’t have been…”

“Listen Lara,” said Silver. “I know this is pretty hard on all of you, but you shouldn’t beat yourself up over it. We can make this right, a good place to start would be by telling us exactly what has been going on between you the rectifiers.”

Lara sniffled. “Thanks. I’m sorry about getting touchy about things that have now never happened, it’s been a really weird month for me.”

“Why don’t you tell us about it then?”

Lara took a deep breath. “Ok like I said it started about a month ago, well a month ago for me, for you it would be closer to…twenty years in the future.”

Chapter 26: Present Tense

Summary:

Lara-Su begins the story of her life in the future and the events that led her and her friends to being captured by the Rectifiers and dragged back in time.

Chapter Text

“We had been deceived.”

“A champion of this era must be chosen.”

“Lara.”

“Young though you are, you have proven yourself in the previous world.”

“To aid you take these shards of lives no longer lived.”

“Lara.”

“Use the experience they give to strengthen yourself and the friends you need.”

“For together you will be stronger than the sum of your talents.”

“Lara!”

“And that will carry you through the challenges to come.”

“May the light of creation shine upon your path.”

“Lara, wake up!”


Lara-Su groaned as she began opening her eyes, her vision was fuzzy, her ears were ringing, and she had a pounding headache. See could see a brown shape and blue shape facing her. “Sonia? Manik? Are you little guys ok?”

“Little guys?” she thought she heard Sonia say but it was hard to tell exactly. “You aren’t that much older than us.”

“Wait, did history get changed again? You’re back to being teenagers?”

“Wow, Gleam must have hit you harder than I thought,” came a voice that she could now tell was Manik’s. “Just focus a little bit and blink a few times, if that doesn’t clear it up than we better go see the nurse.”

Lara did as she was asked, everything became settled. Sonia and Manik seemed to be in the middle of both expectations looking to be pre-teens, now she could clearly tell that they were in an elementary school classroom, but something was still off to her. Then it hit her; Sonia, Manik, the desks, everything meant to be child sized seemed bigger to her than it should be or rather she seemed smaller compared to what her head was telling her she should be. Getting up out of the desk she was sitting in she ran to a nearby window and caught her own reflection in it with a black eye, her pre-teen reflection.

“Aieeeeeee! I’m a kid again?! Just what is going on here?!”

Over at the front of the classroom a fat adult toad stirred from his sleep and muttered to himself as a bubble of mucus kept blowing in and out of his nose. “Lousy delinquents, get away from my cheese bugs…” He then went back to his snoring.

“Whew,” Manik sighed. “Good thing Mr. Croaker is such a heavy sleeper. I swear the only good thing about today is that once it’s over we can leave the fifth grade, go to middle school and say goodbye to this snotpill forever.”

“What did you mean by again Lara?” asked Sonia. “We’ve always been kids, all of us.”

Lara took a few deep breaths trying to calm down. “Ok, just think about it. The last thing I remember was that I was at Angel Island doing guardian things. Suddenly there was this huge light that washed over everything and the next thing I know I was floating around without a body in a cold, lightless, timeless void.”

“Yeah, that’s a pretty apt metaphor for detention,” said Manik. “Still seems like one crazy dream.”

“It wasn’t a…wait a minute, detention?! I never got detention before in my life, any life!”

“Blame Gleam,” pouted Sonia. “I swear she’s a trouble magnet who pulls in everyone else who gets too close to her.”

Lara for some reason felt like pummeling someone then shook it off. “Ok there’s got to be some sort of clue or explanation to…” She then rushed over to a calendar by the door. “3258 P.X.E.? Alright at least me being this age makes a little more sense, I’m about eleven years younger but it’s also about eleven years earlier, I think.”

Sonia looked concerned. “Maybe we better ask Mr. Croaker if you should go back to the nurse after all.”

Suddenly the P.A. system sounded. “Mr. Croaker, Ms. Peahen, please have the following students report to the principal’s office. Sonia Acorn, Manik Acorn, Lara-Su of House Edmund, Dusk the Bat and Gleam the Hedgehog; their parents have just arrived.”

“That’s it,” sighed Manik. “We’re dead.”

Mr. Croaker’s bubble popped as he sprung awake. “W-w-what?!” He then got a mean looking smile on his face. “Oh yeah, you heard the announcement. March yourselves to Principal Hamlin’s office and out of my life! Then I just have to make it retirement and I never have to deal with any of you little monsters again!”

“With pleasure you miserable old wart!” said Sonia. “You were a lousy teacher anyway!”

“OUT!”

The trio grabbed their backpacks and went down the hall with Lara taking the twins’ lead. They had just turned a corner when they saw a hedgehog girl pink quills tipped in turquoise wearing a sky-blue dress spotted them and run towards their direction.

“Oh Manik! I didn’t miss you after all!”

Manik started blushing. “Oh, uh, hey Aleena.”

Aleena stopped short of the boy. “I just wanted to say thanks for sticking up for me earlier. Gleam was being such a heat sink but as much as I wanted to give her a piece of my mind, she can be scary sometimes. But the way you just stood up to her for me, it was worth everyone getting into trouble for. That wasn’t just speed, it was turbo speed!”

Manik shuffled his feet nervously. “Think nothing of it…”

Aleena started blushing back. “No, I mean it. You’re a cool guy and I was wondering if we could chat or hang out sometime?”

Manik seemed to get even redder. “Really!? As in boy/girl hang out!?”

“Yeah, let me show you!” Aleena got out a mobile device made of clear plastic and tapped it a few times. “There I just updated my Neighborhood account to list you as a ‘next door’ neighbor. I want everyone to know how speed you are! So, can you list me as ‘next door’?”

“Sure, thanks Aleena! Wow, that’s two good things that happened today!”

Aleena turned to the other two girls. “You two were awesome too, expect to know what’s upper deck next before the rest of my neighbors!”

“Wow, thanks!” said Sonia.

“Yeah thanks,” said Lara before leaning into Sonia’s shoulder to whisper. “Should I know this girl?”

Sonia whispered back. “Look I know you’ve only been going to our school for the last six months, but everyone knows Aleena is great at keeping the pulse of the latest trends. Nobody knows more about what’s upper deck than her, that can be vital going into middle school.”

Lara didn’t know what confused her more, what was going on or that she knew that upper deck meant popular and she wanted to have it.

“Aleena Rose!” Amy shouted as she came from the same corner Aleena did moments ago dressed in a red business suit. “What do you think you’re doing young lady?! You’re still in trouble!”

Aleena groaned. “Mom I was just thanking Manik! He stuck up for me!”

“I’m not sure I like what he considers, ‘sticking up for someone’ given what you ended up doing afterward. We’re still going to talk with your father about your punishment, but I think he’d agree a good start will be taking away this for a while!”

Amy snatched the mobile device from Aleena’s hands, the younger hedgehog looked panicked and even seemed to be shaking. “Aw come on Mom! I have hundreds of people on Neighborhood who follow me looking for what’s trendy and upper deck! If I just vanish from the infonet they’ll get really worried!”

Amy then began tapping the screen. “This should fix that. ‘I was being stupid today, so Mom and Dad say I have to stay logged off for a week. Don’t worry about me, I totally deserve and need this.’ Send.”

Aleena fumed. “You know you can really suck sometimes!”

“I’m your mother, it’s my job to suck when you’re acting like a brat! I swear getting you this phone wasn’t the worst mistake your father and I made, but it’s in the running. Now get in the car so we can go home, march!”

Aleena grumbled as they walked by but gave Manik a smile for a second.

Amy turned to the trio as she followed her daughter. “And you three better hurry if you don’t want to get into even hotter water. Somehow I doubt your parents will be any happier than I am right now!”

“Right,” sighed Sonia. “Back to the execution.”

They turned the corner and found four angry parents waiting for them. But Lara was shocked by on in particular.

“Dad, your right eye it’s not cybernetic anymore!”

“It never has been,” grumbled Knuckles. “I don’t know what you’re playing at but telling stories isn’t going to let you off the hook for picking fights.”

“Picking fights?”

“That’s what the principal said on the phone,” said Julie. “And given what we’ve heard so far we’re extremely disappointed.”

Sonia and Manik approached their parents, Sally was wearing the uniform of a member of the Council of Acorn. Manik came up first. “Listen mom, dad, we can explain…”

“Explain what?” said Sally. “Why I had to postpone a very important vote on disaster relief because somehow you managed to get practically every third through fifth grade student thrown into detention?”

Sonia gulped. “There was a bit more to it than that…”

“It was the last day of school!” said Sonic. “How do you get into trouble on the last day?! At worst you do some review work, get some summer reading assigned or bring home a bad report card; but mostly it’s a cakewalk! You talk with friends about what you’re doing that summer, sign year books, have recess, heck your principal was cool enough to throw you kids a pizza party! What made you think ‘yeah now’s a good time to drive my parents insane’?!”

“Well…”

“Save it,” said Knuckles. “First we’re going to hear from the principal, THEN you three will have a chance to defend yourselves.”

He opened the door to the office, looking inside Lara saw not only the pig but someone who’d made her quills rustle.

“King Shadow?! What’s he doing here?!”

“What are you talking about?” said a white hedgehog girl sitting nearby him who had a black eye. “Dad’s not a king, but he’d make a better one than all the fake royals you were all going on and on about.”

“Gleam,” Rouge said from next to the stoic hedgehog. “You two are in enough trouble as it is, so until an adult says otherwise stop digging this hole deeper and keep your mouth shut!”

As everyone took their seats Lara stared at both the girl and a black bat boy who seemed to be doing his best not to look Manik in the eye. Then something came right to mind about what was going on to Lara, she and Gleam hated each other with a passion.

“I’m sorry that I had to call you all here under these circumstances,” said Hamlin before turning to Sally. “Especially you Counselor. Normally we’d just send them home with a slip after detention but given that after today they’ll all be moving onto middle school, I thought we should settle this matter now.”

“It’s quite alright,” said Sally. “No matter what we have to do our kids always come first, now why don’t you start with a summary of what exactly happened?”

Hamlin nodded. “The student body of Nate Morgan Elementary had really impressed me this year,” he turned to Knuckles. “Including the ones like Lara we took in from Angel Island after their school had to be rebuilt due to one of Robotnick’s attacks.”

“Shouldn’t Robotnick be dead?” Lara thought to herself.

“So, I felt they deserved a little reward, I planned a party this afternoon for them to enjoy, but that was when the incident occurred. It seems like Gleam here got into an argument with Aleena Rose, then one thing led to another causing a scuffle that spread out into a food fight involving almost the entire student body and we’re still cleaning up. I doubt the school board will let me do that again.”

“Tell the truth Gleam,” Shadow said succinctly. “Did you pick on this girl?”

Gleam crossed her arms. “She was bragging about her trip she took last spring to visit her cousin in Mercia, kept going on about how she learned staff fighting from the crown prince. I just gave my opinion that she wasn’t a princess, that because King ‘o Hedge like every monarch today left the making law stuff to an elected body they weren’t real royalty anymore.” Gleam then gave a nasty look at Manik. “Then blue boy here butted in.”

“Manik,” said Sonic. “Did you start this?”

“Gleam was being mean about it and making Aleena cry!” said Manik. “So, I did what you’d have done! I faced Gleam and told her to back off, then she started saying OUR family aren’t really royalty!”

“Hey it’s true.” said Gleam. “Mrs. Acorn let her brother take the throne and he gave most of his power to the council, now they’re just a bunch of figureheads, so you and your sister aren’t real royalty either. Your dad runs a diner for crying out loud.”

“That’s not what I remember either,” thought Lara.

“He’s carrying on our great uncle Chuck’s legacy!” said Sonia.

“So Manik and Gleam got into a fight?” said Rouge. “That’s what started this?”

“Not quite,” said Hamlin. “While the two of them started the conflict it was just shouting, neither of them threw the first punch.” He then turned to the echidna family. “From what I gathered Lara-Su hit Gleam, Gleam hit back then Manik and Sonia here began throwing pizza at Gleam to help Lara and Dusk threw food at them before the whole thing descended into chaos.”

“Why did you get yourself involved?” Knuckles asked. “Why did you punch her?”

Lara took one look at Gleam to come up with an answer only to get flushed with anger. “What can I say? Her face is just so punchable.” Somewhere inside a voice was yelling “Why did I just say that?!”

“Lara-Su!” shouted Julie. “I don’t care what she was doing that was unacceptable!”

“Gleam’s a bully, Aleena was in trouble and I kept my knuckle spikes retracted the entire time! I thought the Chaotix and the Freedom Fighters were all about stopping bullies and helping people!” Lara snapped back but inwardly that part of her was yelling “Please just shut up!”

“There’s a difference between teasing and attacking someone!” yelled Knuckles. “What Gleam was doing was wrong, but you should have known better, it wasn’t any of your places to fight Aleena’s battles for her! You keep telling me you want to be a guardian but right now you’re acting like a puggle!”

“P-puggle?!”

Dusk started muttering. “Sure, when Aleena’s in trouble you dash right in, but Gleam gets hurt and you totally ditch on your promise you backstabber…”

Manik groaned. “Gleam started it Dusk, that promise you, me and Skye made was about sticking up for our sisters, not helping them be total snotpills!”

“You know she’s sensitive…!”

“Am not!” yelled Gleam.

“You seemed to forget about that promise when Grace decided to butt in and give me a cheese pizza shampoo!” shouted Sonia.

“Grace was backing me and Gleam up!” yelled Dusk. “Unlike you traitors!”

“Oh yeah, refuse to call your sister out when she’s being a heat sink!” shouted Manik. “That’ll really help her out in the long run!”

“Quiet!” grumbled Shadow. “All of you!”

“Manik, Sonia let it go and be the bigger person here,” said Sonic.

“Ugh!” said Manik. “You’re so uncool right now!”

“Hey, I’m the reason you kids use the word speed to mean cool! I invented cool, I’m way past cool!”

“Yeah,” scoffed Sonia. “Past its expiration date.”

“Don’t you sass your father!” shouted Sally.

“ENOUGH!” Hamlin yelled. After a moment of silence, the pig took a deep breath. “Do you kids know why I decided to go into education?”

“Because you were a hundredth rate Freedom Fighter, and your political career was a flop?” snarked Dusk. Rouge then pulled on the younger bat’s ear. “OW! OW! OW!”

“You’re skating on enough thin ice already! Now all of you kids be quiet!”

Hamlin sighed. “I admit I had an inferiority complex, I felt everyone wrote me off as useless and that led me to being quite unpleasant. Then during the Phantom Ruby War Knuckles here had me watch a few of the younger children mostly so I’d stay out of the way, but it turned out I had a knack with kids. It felt good to find something I had actual talent at, so I decided to go into teaching and over the years it left me very fulfilled. I made it my own mission to help my students find their niche and that ultimately led me to becoming the principal of this school. You and many of your friends have their own… challenges we weren’t prepared for; I hope you’ll find something I said or the environment I fostered will let you find what you were meant to do. A good first step would be all of you apologizing to each other.”

Gleam growled. “I’m not apologizing to Red or these…”

“Gleam Maria Hedgehog, Dusk Gerald Bat!” Shadow snarled. “You two will apologize to them and then we’re going to stop by Aleena’s house so you can apologize to her face-to-face! Do I make myself clear?!”

Suddenly Gleam and Dusk looked to ground nervously like a couple of kindergarteners. “Yes daddy,” they both answered at once then turning to the other three kids. “We’re sorry.”

Lara had a memory of holding her own against Shadow but seeing what he was able to do with just words, she felt like she almost wet herself.

“Sonia, Manik, it’s your turn,” Sonic said.

“You too Lara,” said Julie-Su.

Even though she knew she should the words were starting to feel like vomit in her mouth. “I’m…sorry.”

“We’re sorry too,” said Sonia and Manik.

“Good,” said Hamlin turning to the parents. “Now that’s out of the way I’ll leave the matter of discipline up to you. I’m sorry their time here at Nate Morgan Elementary had to end on such a sour note.”

“It wasn’t your fault Hamlin,” said Sally. “You’ve proven to be quite capable when it comes to children.”

“Although you really got to fire that Croaker guy,” said Sonic. “He’s way too harsh on the kids and from what I hear he’s obnoxious to the other teachers too.”

Hamlin rubbed his temples. “Believe me, I tried. But as long as his mother is on the school board my hands are tied.”

“Well, I think grounding them for a week with no allowance should drill the message into their thick skulls,” said Sally.

“The same goes for you Lara-Su,” said Knuckles.

“And you can both forget about our trip to Mystic Kingdom amusement park this summer,” said Rouge.

“But that’s not fair!” said Dusk. “I pulled my grades up, I did all my chores, you never said this was part of the deal!”

“It didn’t need to be said, you’re supposed to stay out of trouble! Now after we stop by Amy and Lucian’s place so Gleam can apologize to Aleena, I need to get Club Rouge ready to open tonight and you’re both going to help by scrubbing the bathrooms.”

The kids all grumbled as their parents lead them out of the office. Lara-Su was particularly miserable. “Great, I’m trapped in a little girl’s body and being punished for something I don’t remember doing! I’m not sure how the timeline got this messed up, but I better find out before things get even worse! I doubt I’ll be able to figure out much today as mad as my parents are. Maybe a good night’s sleep will help put things in perspective.”

 


“Run Lara!” cried the voice of a small girl. “Run before he gets you too!”

She turned and saw a centipede like creature with three eyes, one of which was scared and ruined, before it reached out with a metal three-pronged claw to grab her.

“AHHHH!” She bolted awake and was breathing heavily.

“Quite the nightmare,” came the voice of a young woman. “With your head like that no wonder those memoires got you so mixed up today.”

Lara turned on a lamp and saw what looked like herself, or rather how she used to look, sitting next to the small vanity in the room.

“Who are you, how did you get in here, did you make me a kid again?!”

Lara quickly grabbed the nearest object, a chao plush, and threw it at the older doppelganger only for it to pass through her and hit the mirror with a cute squeak.

“Listen if you calm down, I’ll answer you the best I can, or rather the best you can.”

“How did…?!”

“It’s because I’m not really here, I’m in your head. Look someone, I have no idea who, put in a bunch of memories of how your life did go before the timeline got changed a couple of times. It was all getting jumbled together, you weren’t made a kid, you just also have the memoires of an adult. Luckily for you there was also something that was sent along with them to give you a way to organize all of that while keeping you sane, me. Think of me as an imaginary friend only you can see and hear who doubles as a filing cabinet for defunct timelines. Now it shouldn’t feel like you did all of those things and clear your head on what this timeline is actually like.”

Lara felt her head swimming. “Yeah, it’s starting to come back. So, does this filing cabinet have a name?”

“We used an alias in one of those timelines, Jani-Ca, so just use that for my name.”

“Ok Jani, now for the big question, what are these memories even doing in my head to begin with?”

“That’s what we have to figure out. I don’t think it was just random, so you are probably thinking that too.”

“Yeah, there’s got to be a reason. So how are these memories supposed to help me?”

“Well, you learned a lot of techniques over the years that made you one of the most powerful guardians ever, perhaps you need those powers.”

Lara groaned. “Good luck with that, Dad refuses to give me guardian training.”

“He was like that in both timelines that weren’t dark, it’s lucky then that you have no less than five ‘uncles’ in the Chaotix who are willing to teach you everything they know.”

“Yeah, that’ll help,” Lara then fell back onto her pillow while she groaned. “Too bad that I can’t ask since I’ve been grounded because of Gleam.”

“Yeah, not sure what caused it, but she was definitely not part of the picture in any timeline I remember. Why do you two seem to hate each other so much?”

Lara got up to a shelf full of photographs, each one had her with different kids laughing and having fun. One whoever she kept face down on the frame, the back had a thin coat of dust. “I keep asking myself that whenever we get into an argument or fight. Gleam wasn’t always this way…” She picked up the photo showing both her and Gleam at about five years old making silly faces at the camera. “…She used to be fun. Gleam used to be very timid, always curling up when she got scared but once she got to know you, she was a bright sunny girl who could be just as much of a goofball as her brother. At least she was before…”

Jani crossed her arms. “Before what?”

Lara put the photo back face down on the shelf. “I don’t talk about it, not unless I have to, none of us kids do.”

“Does it have something to do with that nightmare?”

“I said I DON’T talk about it.”

“Alright, when and if you think we need to address it we will. For now, you should go back to bed, I’ll try to keep the nightmares away.”

Lara smiled as she slipped under the covers and went back to sleep.


The next day was mostly chores and being stuck in her room for Lara, but even with her access to the infonet cut off by her parents Lara’s history schoolbooks proved to be quite useful.

“What about this, Eggman’s genesis wave?”

Jani nodded. “Yeah, not familiar at all. No doubt about it, this is where the timeline started to diverge from history as we used to know it. Altering reality like that then nearly shattering it? I bet he succeeded at first and that’s why despite Tails and Rotor’s best efforts our timeline ultimately collapsed. Why me and everyone born after that ended up in that void, until something fixed it and now things are like this.”

“The Freedom Fighters and the Chaotix do keep somethings secret from the public, if that got out could people be able to live normal lives?”

“In any case I bet whoever did fix everything gave you those memoires, they want you to do something with them. We just have to figure out what.”

“Lara!” Julie-Su called. “Come down and help set the table for dinner, your aunt, uncle and cousin are going to be here soon!”

“Coming!” Lara shouted.

“Well at least you and Aunt Lien-Da aren’t enemies this time around and she can be with her son.”

Lara pouted as she made for the door. “Well, it would be better if Rutan didn’t get into trouble so much and dragging Salma into it. Salma’s a good friend of mine but she’s been more of a troublemaker ever since she and Rutan had been hanging out more with Gleam.”

Soon enough the family was sitting around the dinner table enjoying their evening meal.

“Gotta hand it to ya Aunt Julie,” said a red echidna boy with white bands around his quills after he swallowed a bite.  “Your ant colony casserole is incredible.”

“Thank you Rutan,” said Julie-Su. “I had to burn quite a few of them over the years to get the recipe right.”

“Who’d have thought either of us would have ended up here?” said Lein-Da. “The two of us with our families sitting down to share a meal, a couple of happy homemakers.”

“Hey, I’m still teaching self-defense classes and what about your work to get severe injury victims used to their cybernetics? We’re not just housewives.”

“True but being a mother has been the most rewarding part to me,” she then gave a frustrated look at her son. “Even if my son can’t seem to behave himself.”

 Rutan groaned. “Lara was the one who started it mom.”

“Hey don’t blame me!” said Lara-Su. “You were the one who shouted, ‘food fight!’ to the whole cafeteria!”

“She’s right son,” said Finitivus. “You have to take responsibility for your own actions.”

The boy groaned again. “Please not the ‘we used to be big time villains so we should know’ speech again!”

“We wouldn’t have to keep repeating it if you’d just exercise more discipline and self-control.”

“Actually,” said Knuckles. “I wanted to talk to both of you kids about that.”

“Dad,” said Lara. “I’m sorry I hit Gleam, I was just so angry and confused yesterday but that doesn’t excuse anything I said or did.”

“You’re a good kid and I’m glad to see you realized your mistake. But this is something we’ve been thinking about for a while, not just the four of us but the parents of a lot of your friends. We were worried that we might have spoiled you all, not made you as tough as we were at your age, but the world was different then it was one of worst times for a kid to grow up in, what was normal for us wasn’t normal for any generation before. We wanted to give you all the ‘normal’ childhood a lot of us never received and except for…that incident, you all did. Fact is though we think you could benefit from similar experiences we went through and Sonic got in touch with a few parents suggesting this.”

Knuckles got out a couple of pamphlets and gave one to each of the kids.

Lara began reading hers out loud. “Great Oak Lodge and Campground proudly presents Freedom Fighter Summer Camp? Send your child on an unforgettable adventure like the ones the Freedom Fighters had thirty years ago. They will experience activities like recon scouting, secret message decoding, and mission exercises in a fun, safe, natural environment. Specialized classes and camp staples like nature hikes, canoeing and campfire sing-a-longs included. All activities build up confidence, teamwork skills and self-reliance while your child forms friendships and memories that will last a lifetime.”

“It starts in a week,” said Julie. “The campground is the same one your uncle Kneecaps went to summer camp at when he was your age and he had a blast, so much so that he’s going to be working there as a camp counselor this year. So, what do you think? Sounds like something you’d be interested in?”

“It does seem cool, but I was actually kind of hoping to do some Guardian training this summer?”

“That actually covers quite a bit of what the initial training does,” said Knuckles. “Wilderness survival, physical endurance and good decision making to name a few. Not only that you can prove that you can handle responsibility, while there will be counselors for the most part it’s going to be three weeks where you’ll be taking care of yourself most of the time. If you do well and find that you really enjoyed yourself… we can do some more guardian training to see if that’s what you really want to do when you grow up.”

Lara practically leapt out of her chair and gave Knuckles a big hug. “Oh, thank you daddy! Thank you, thank you, thank you!”

“You’re welcome,” Knuckles said as he and Julie returned the hug. “Our little camper.”

“What about you Rutan?” said Finitivus. “Think you’re up for it?”

The boy had a small smile. “Yeah, I guess it’d be fun and if Lara is getting Guardian training out of it, I’m guessing if I rock out at camp, I can have my first cybernetic implant?”

Both Rutan’s parents gave him a hard stare and a flat answer. “No.”

“Oh, come on! I promise I’ll be great at Freedom Fighting stuff! I can do the whole responsibility thing too!”

“That’s not the issue Rutan,” said Lien-Da. “You’re just too young for one, now your father and I are willing to talk about it once you turn sixteen…”

“That’s totally not fair! You helped the D’coolette twins get used to new cybernetic limbs and they’re the same age I am!”

“The D’coolette twins also have a disease that makes their immune system attack their nerves and can lead to organ failure,” said Finitivus. “Replacing those limbs is one of the few reliable ways to halt the progress of NIDS. Even during their exile when they had no oversight except for memory neutralizing chips the Dark Legion only gave cybernetics to children to fix birth defects or severe injuries, you’re perfectly healthy.”

“This isn’t something you can take back,” said Lien-Da. “Suppose you decide you want to be an athlete like your friend Ajax, those enhancements could disqualify you from being able to compete and that’s just one example.”

“So, it’s only a problem with you if somebody WANTS to get an upgrade,” sulked Rutan.

Lien-Da sighed. “True I attempted to legionize others to seize power so I could preserve a way of life, at least that was how I justified it. I won’t deny what I’ve done, I’ve had to live with those choices. But we want you to make your own choices on if you want to follow my family traditions, I honestly would be happy if you did, but it’s a choice that needs to take a lot of thoughtfulness and maturity, something we never considered a ten-year old to have enough of.”

“Again,” said Finitivus. “If you’re still as adamant about this when you’re sixteen…”

“And you agree to follow a thorough maintenance and hygiene regimen.”

“…we will probably let you if you think it’ll help you with what you want to do with the rest of your life. Figure the rest out first then you’ll have a better idea if it’s right for you.”

Rutan sighed. “Ok, I guess camp will just be fun on its own.”

Lien-Da had a sly sultry smile. “Particularly since Espio is letting Juanita and Salma go.”

Rutan sat up with a jolt. “Salma’s gonna be there?!” he then tried to play it cool. “I mean her little sister can be really annoying, I better go so Salma can keep her in line.”

Julie-Su chuckled. “Alright you two still have to finish your punishments, but now you got something to look forward to when it’s over. Now finish your dinner then wash up.”

After the table was cleared and relatives left for home Lara came back to her room. A big smile came across her face. “I’m going to be a guardian!”

“And you got a full six-year head start compared to what I remember.”

“Yeah, I’m going to even cooler than the me that was a guardian before!”

“Still, Rutan was never that interested in cybernetics before this timeline.”

“That’s his business. Does this camp have merit badges? If so, then I’m going to get so many that Dad’ll see I’m ready for the super advanced stuff. I’m telling you everything is now coming up…”

A strange sound later something had hit Lara in the head sending her to the floor.

“…OW!”

“Lara are you ok?!” she heard her mother say from down the hall.

Lara looked up and saw a dented red and white device about a foot long with a blinking blue light. “Uh…I stubbed my toe! Ow, don’t worry I’ll be fine!”

“Well get ready for bed, I don’t want you staying up too late.”

The echidna came closer to the strange device. “Ok, where did you come from?”

She touched the light and suddenly it projected a hologram of a humanoid robot that began flickering in and out. “This…warning…year 3438 P.X.E. …capsule…vital information…Freedom Fighters…can’t…wrong hands… fate of the galaxy…”

The hologram then sputtered out. “Jani, I think we found why I got those memories in my head.”

“3438 P.X.E.? That’s a hundred and eighty years from now, a good way after those memories end. Giving this to the Freedom Fighters is probably step one.”

“And tell them what? It just popped into my room while I’m grounded?” Lara touched the light again and the message repeated with the same breaks. “Well, wherever this came from looks like something took a bat to it on the way here. Yeah, we have to get this fixed first before anyone will take me seriously.”

“Good thing your family knows a good number of scientific types.”

“But between me being grounded and going to camp right after it’ll be a month till…” Lara then had a look of realization. “Wait this camp was Sonic’s idea so that means he’d pitch it to the Freedom Fighters for their kids.”

“Something I should know?”

Lara smiled. “Gasket and Alan, Rotor’s daughter and Nicole’s son. They’re a year behind me in school but Sonia and Manik keep telling me that by teaming up they’ve won the science fair every year. I mean this year they made a model rocket with an onboard computer that was able to send a Flicky into low orbit and then return it home safely! If I bring this with me to camp, they might be able to fix it there.”

“Impressive, even my old team didn’t have mechanical knowhow like that.”

“Team?”

“We called ourselves the Future Freedom Fighters because we were the next generation. Jacque, Belle, Skye, Melody and Argyle, together there was nothing we couldn’t do.”

“A-argyle?” Julie said blushing. “I-I know he has a bit of a crush on me but I’m…not a hundred percent on how I feel about him.”

“Trust me,” Jani said with a wink. “He’ll treat you right.”

Lara sighed as she hid the capsule under her bed. “Still, it’d have been nice if Sonia was there too.”

“The only reason she wasn’t was because circumstances caused her and Manik to be born much later than you then, nothing like that stopping us now.”

“Yeah, we’ll get the Future Freedom Fighters together and add Sonia, Manik, Gasket and Alan. But if we’re getting Melody and Skye into this together, they’ll both want to bring Taffy along.”

“Ok I guess I better ask, who’s Taffy?”

“Uh Melody’s best friend, Skye’s twin sister.”

“Ok that’s a weird one. To me Melody was Skye’s older sister, I take it Tails and Mina are each married to somebody else now?”

“Yeah, Melody’s dad is Ash Mongoose, member and manager of the Forget-Me-Knots, Skye and Taffy’s mom is Cream the Rabbit, she runs a chao sanctuary. But Melody and Taffy got to being such close friends and with Skye getting just as close to Melody because of his sister a lot of us joke that they’re actually three siblings with four parents.”

Jani smiled. “Well, the important thing is that Melody and Skye were still allowed to be born, but can Taffy handle a fight? Because there’s going to be a strong chance of one breaking out if a guardian is needed.”

“Well, she can be a bit of a ditz sometimes, but she’s got good instincts. She helped Skye get his tails under control even though she flies in a completely different way. Not only that but her pet chao Pull is surprisingly strong for such a little thing.”

“That’s good to hear, because if this is about not just Mobius but the galaxy, we could have one heck of a fight on our hands.”

Lara hopped into bed and slipped under the covers. “Whatever’s coming we’re going to be crazy prepared; camp is going to rock!”


A week later Knuckles and Julie-Su brought Lara-Su to the parking lot of Nate Morgan Elementary where an old school bus was parked that was painted forest green with “Camp Great Oak” written on it in big white letters. She noticed several other sets of parents and children beginning to come together.

“Wow,” said Julie as the family approached Sonic. “Looks like a lot of the old gang’s signed their kids up. You sure were persuasive.”

“Hey, the guy setting it up let us use the place for our wedding back in the day,” said Sonic. “When he came to me for an endorsement of his new program, I figured it’d be a good way to give the kids a taste of what it was like for us in the old days.”

“Hey Sonic,” Tails said as he and Cream came up with a boy who looked a lot like he did in his younger days wearing blue shoes and a rabbit girl with curly brown hair wearing a sunflower yellow dress. A chao wearing a green bandana around its neck accompanied the girl as a white “angel” chao with a little red bow tie flew by Cream’s shoulder.

“Tails, it’s good to see you,” said Sally. “But weren’t Rotor and Nicole’s families supposed to coming with you?”

Tails blushed as he rubbed his head. “They were helping me with my latest project at Prowertech this morning when there was a minor explosion. No one was hurt just some property damage, but they stayed back to get it under control. Don’t worry they messaged me that they’re on their way and should be here just before the bus leaves.”

Lara inwardly groaned. “Great I wanted to talk to everyone I want on the team before we got on the bus, ok just have to get who I can now and bring Alan and Gasket on later.”

As she saw Antione, Bunnie, Vector and Honey arrive they bought a coyote boy with a metallic left arm and right leg, a rabbit girl with a metallic right arm with left leg, a croc boy with glasses on his snout and headphones and a cat girl of about eight with yellow fur and short black hair done in two little buns.

“Hey guys, can we talk for a bit?”

“Oui,” said Jacques. “So, what’s up?”

“Um,” Lara lowered her voice to a whisper. “I really don’t want our folks listening in on this, Candy can you distract them for a bit?”

“Anything to help big brother, what kind of distraction?” said the cat.

“Use this,” said Manik. “Every time this is brought up in the dinner things grind to a halt.”

Manik whispered something into Candy’s ear, the third grader then nodded and went over to Sonic.

“Mr. Sonic I really like your chili dogs whenever we visit Freedom City, they’re one of my favorite sandwiches.”

Sonic gave a small smile. “That’s really nice Candy, but a chili dog isn’t a sandwich.”

“Sonic that’s not right,” said Tails. “Hot dogs, and chili dogs by extension, are sandwiches.”

“Tails’ they’re their own special thing.”

“A filling between two slices of bread or on a split roll?” said Cream. “A hot dog sounds like the later example to me.”

“Hold up,” said Sally. “A sandwich needs two slices of bread this roll thing is not right.”

“But that would count out meatball subs,” said Vector. “And those are the best sandwiches.”

“Oui,” said Antione. “As the head chef of a five-star restaurant I’d know, as long as there is some sort of bread holding a kind of filling it iz a sandwich.”

“And what about open-faced sandwiches?” asked Bunnie. “You only need one slice of bread for those.”

“By that definition, a pizza or a slice of buttered toast is a sandwich,” said Knuckles.

“Not to mention tacos,” said Julie.

“And what about ice cream sandwiches?” said Honey. “They use a kind of cookie but those are sandwiches.”

Manik smiled to himself. “Ok, that should keep them distracted for a while. So, Lara what’s up?”

Lara took out the device from her backpack. "How would you guys like to be Freedom Fighters for real?”

Lara explained everything that happened to her a week ago.

“At the risk of you slugging me, I have to say this is crust,” said Argyle. “An older version of you is living in your head and needs us to save the future in some way that involves this, whatever it is.”

“Ok, it sounds unbelievable but trust me we’re going to be an unbeatable team.” Lara then gave Argyle a cute eyed look. “Please, for me?”

The croc blushed. “Ah, I guess it wouldn’t hurt if it turns out to be nothing, and a shot to be up there with Dad, Knuckles and Sonic? Why not?”

“Sounds speed,” said Melody. “Taffy and I were already going to try to form a band with the music classes they’re going to have, imagine how popular we’ll be if were heroes on top of that.”

“You said it Mel!” said Taffy. “Who knows? If this is legit and we smash it maybe my mom will ease up on me doing all this lady stuff.”

“Yeah, this could be our chance to get out of our dads’ shadows Manik,” said Skye.

Manik high fived the two tailed fox. “Yeah, we end up saving the world and they won’t just think of us as the diet versions of two of Mobius’ best heroes.”

“Hey Jacques,” said Belle flexing her mechanical arm. “You reckon we pull this off Ma and Pa will let us get more than the basic package for our cybernetics? I mean we haven’t fallen over ourselves or knocked anything over for months, pull this off and they see we’re mature enough for jet boosters and a plasma cannon.”

“My sword arm can be an actual sword arm!” Jacques said as he thrusted with an imaginary blade. “Ok, count us in!”

“What about you Sonia?” asked Lara. “I mean I’d understand if you want out, but it’d mean a lot to have my best friend with me there.”

“Yeah, I’m in, but I think there’s something else going on here.”

“What do you mean?”

“I don’t think my Mom and Dad set this up just because they’d think it’d be a fun way for us to get out of our parents’ hair for a few weeks. Have you noticed anything about the kids who are going?”

Lara looked around and noticed a few of the other families starting to gather.

Aleena had gotten out of a car as Amy and Lucian followed her. “Now Aleena we know you’re excited about being on your own for awhile but don’t think this is going to be easy either.”  Lucian looked his younger daughter square in the eye. “We’re not going to have to tell them to take your phone away will we?”

“Dad I know the reception is going to be bad,” said Aleena. “But I can catch up with all the trends once I get back. Plus everyone there already knows who I am, building a team with them should be easy.”

Amy sighed. “Aleena there’s a difference between being popular and having actual friends. Usually, the former doesn’t matter as much as people make it out to be, we just want you to connect with someone for some reason other than you’re trendy.”

“Don’t worry mom, I already know at least one guy there who likes me past my blog.”

“And don’t go too fast on that either!” said Lucian. “I know you’re in prime crush territory but you’re still too young for a boyfriend!”

Aleena rolled her eyes. “Yes dad.”

“Now just remember girls, consider this an extension of your training.” Espio said to two chameleon children.

“Yes father,” said a ten-year old violet one with bright purple scales and a black crest on her head.

“And Salma,” said Liza. “Try to get along with Juanita.”

Salma glared at the eight-year-old with lavender colored scales that was grinning at her. “But she won’t stop pestering me and I already have to make sure she keeps up with our shinobi training!”

“Considering you’re the one falling behind when it comes to schoolwork you have no right to complain about that.”

Salma groaned while Juanita giggled.

“We’re serious,” said Espio. “You two have great potential, but only if you’re both diligent and cooperate with each other. Salma you have to take responsibility and Juanita try to control your impulses.” Espio then took a folded paper fan and pointed it at his daughters. “Understood?”

Both girls made a bow. “Hai sensei!”

Nearby Charmy and Saffron were fuzzing over a blond-haired eight-year-old boy with a bomber jacket. “Remember Mellow to listen to the counselors,” said Saffron. “Oh, and watch out for poison ivy, and predator mobini, if you go swimming wear sunblock, don’t shrink down in the water or a fish might eat you, wear a lifejacket if you go canoeing and be sure to dry your wings before attempting to fly…”

“Mom I think I can handle it.” said Mellow. “I’m going to summer camp, not an expedition into the Soumercan jungle.”

“We just want you to be safe,” said Charmy. “We named you for a dear friend we already lost, but after…we just don’t want to lose a Mellow who’s even more important to us.”

“I understand, but I can’t be afraid forever. I gotta prove I’m one of the big kids.”

Mighty placed his hand on the shoulder of a yellow shelled armadillo boy of about nine. “Now Brawn while in camp you need to keep your temper in check, you’re stronger than most kids your age and we don’t want you doing something you’ll regret later.”

“I know,” Brawn said looking at his feet. “I tried not to get angry, and it works for a while but then I lose it and it seems so much worse.”

“Well bottling it up like that isn’t healthy,” said Fiona. “Even if you don’t blow up it’ll eat away at you. You have to release it in a way that doesn’t hurt others or yourself at a time that’s appropriate.”

“Like Aunt Tilly yelling at Uncle Stu when she was having her babies last week?”

“That’s a bit of a special case,” Mighty said with a blush. “You’re an athletic boy, I think holding it until you let it out by exercising will work best for you.”

Fiona turned to a fox girl of ten wearing a blue top. “Grace, make sure you help your brother, and follow the rules, and listen to the camp counselors, and aren’t you sure you don’t want to wear your…”

“I get it mom!” Grace snapped. “Geeze, why do you have to be so strict all the time?!”

“And I want you to stay away from Gleam from now on. That girl is a bad influence on you.”

“You’re just saying that because you and her mom don’t like each other! Same with Gale, just because her parents used to be crooks doesn’t mean we’re going to start stealing bubble gum or something! Let me pick my own friends!”

“Grace,” Mighty sighed. “Your mother is just worried about you.”

“If you want to stop worrying then just trust me ok?! Stop treating me like a criminal!”

Fiona looked hurt as Grace turned her back on her parents. “Sweetie…”

“Hey Brawn!” shouted a tangerine furred flying squirrel Brawn’s age as he came running in with a grey furred raccoon of the same age both carrying backpacks.

Brawn smiled widely as his family looked on. “Soar! Tide! I didn’t know you two were coming to camp!”

“Oh yeah!” said Tide. “This summer’s going to be epic!”

“Hold it!” Ray said as he and Marine walked up. “You’re not getting on that bus until you mother and I inspect your bags!”

“It’s ok Dad,” said Soar. “We got everything we need…”

“Oh, we’re not checking for that,” said Marine. “Since your little slippery slime stunt the other day caused your father and I to fall overboard we’re going to approve anything you may possibly use for a practical joke.”

The two boys slumped. “Yes Mom.”

The adult squirrel and raccoon opened the backpacks and began rifling through them. “Whoopie cushion, plastic glass with holes, joy buzzer, snapping gum, fake vomit…”

“See,” said Soar. “Just our usual…”

“Ah ha!” Marine took out a few small red objects. “Cherry bombs! Planning to blow up a toilet?!”

“I found firecrackers in Tide’s bag,” said Ray. “Somebody could get seriously hurt with this stuff, that’s it we’re taking it all.”

“Ah dad!” Tide whined. “Those are just for scaring people during ghost stories, weren’t going to blow anything up with them.”

“And you still aren’t,” Marine said. “Now I pulled my share of pranks back when I was younger but you two don’t seem to know when to quit. I don’t want the camp calling back to hear you two got someone hurt, so keep your noses clean understood? Captain Mom’s orders.”

Both boys begrudgingly nodded. “Aye, aye ma’am.”

“IAN WHAT ARE YOU DOING UP THERE?!” Everyone turned to see Hershey fearfully yelling at a pair of ten-year-old children, a male tuxedo cat and a female skunk, who had climbed on top of the bus.

“COCOA YOU AND YOUR BROTHER BETTER GET DOWN THIS INSTANT!” shouted Geoffrey.

“Ok,” said Cocoa. “Here I come!”

The skunk girl then jumped off the bus to everyone’s shock.

“I got her!”  yelled a red Echidna in his twenties as he moved in and grabbed the girl.

As the skunk was put down Hershey nodded to the echidna. “Thank you Knecapeon.” She then glared at her daughter. “What possessed you two to do that?!”

“Well Dad hoped this trip would toughen Ian up a little, so I thought this’d be a nice head start.”

“There’s a fine line between courage and recklessness young lady,” said Geoffrey. “But you always insist on tapdancing on it!” He then turned to the bus. “Ian your turn, climb down carefully or let Kneecaps here catch you!”

Ian trembled and he clutched the roof tightly. “I-I CAN’T! I’M GONNA FALL!”

“It’s ok Ian,” said a young squirrel with brown hair as she approached. “Close your eyes and take a few deep breaths, get your heartbeat down. Then come to my direction slowly and carefully let yourself down. I’ll be right here to catch you.”

Ian followed the girl’s instruction and slowly slid down the slide of the bus and into her arms before running to his parents. “Mom! Dad! I’m so sorry! I wish I wasn’t such a scaredy cat!”

“Ian,” said Hershey. “You don’t have to prove anything to anyone except yourself, being scared isn’t wrong as long as you don’t let it come between you and what’s right.” She then turned to the squirrel. “Thank you, princess.”

“Hey just call me Lexi!” said Alexis. “I’m not in line for the throne and I just want to be treated like everybody else.”


In the present Lara suddenly got incredibly quiet.

“Something wrong?” asked Silver.

“It’s just, are you sure you want to know everything? I mean there’s some stuff I’m going to keep private out of respect, but other things might affect my friends just by you knowing it.”

“I can suppress memories with my powers,” said Gold. “As long as we keep the number of people in on it under control, I can easily keep a lid on what we learn until after you get back home.”

Lara took a deep breath. “Ok, but you three might want to sit down.”


A limo pulled up and stopped a moment later a Blaze who had a more ample chest and Silver stepped out. Blaze turned back to the car. “Astral, Flare, we’re here. Get out and be ready to get on the bus.”

A cat girl of around nine with white fur and a bushy tail came out pouting. “But mother I don’t want to go to camp! There’s things in the woods like dirt, mud and…bugs, that’ll mess up my silky soft fur.”

“Quit being a baby Flare,” said a nine-year Hedgehog boy with royal purple quills. “This our chance to show that were not a spoiled prince or princess but the fully capable heirs of the Sol Kingdom who deserve the respect and adoration we are owed.”

“We tried our best to keep them from turning out like this,” grumbled Silver. “We really did.”

Blaze shook her head. “Flare while I agree appearance is particularly important as a princess, you’re also going to be Guardian of the Flame and the Jeweled Scepter someday and that means getting your hands dirty every now and then. If you can’t handle a little soot how can you expect to really be one with your inner fire?”

Silver kneeled and looked his son in the eye. “Astral the first step is getting respect is giving respect, same as making friends which I think you’ll find is more important.”

“He’s just worried that people would be afraid of him being royalty Uncle Silver,” said a nine-year tenrec girl with quills the color of rose gold. “I heard rumors about my cousin, so I read his mind to see if they were true.”

Gold came up to the Tenrec girl. “Aura, what did I tell you about using your telepathy for gossip?”

“But mom I just confirm what I hear to stop false rumors that hurt people from spreading.”

“Aura the best way to stop rumors from spreading is to not listen to them. I get it you were born with this power and want to use it, but it’s not polite to read someone’s mind just to get a juicy story.”

“Hey if you wanted a good story sis, I have one,” said what looked like a younger and much thinner version of Big as said cat came up with him.

“Oh great,” moaned Astral as he glared at Aura. “Now you got Slim started.”

“You see Dad and I were taking Froggy Jr. for a walk, well since he hops more than he walks it would be better to call it a hop, we were taking him for a hop when he jumped on a rock, then he jumped on another rock, then jumped on a log…”

“Ugh,” groaned Flare. “He always gets onto these boring stories and he NEVER shuts up!”

“Slim,” Big interrupted. “Remember about listening more and talking less?”

“Oh,” said Slim. “I forgot, sorry.”

Manic shook his head. “I don’t quite get it. Sure, we might not be super close to everyone here but since these are all kids of Freedom Fighters we’ve been seeing each other at reunions and birthday parties for as long as I can remember.”

“Manik,” said Sonia. “Every kid here, including Gasket and Alan, was part of…” Sonia looked away scared. “That thing our parents made us promise never to talk about.”

Lara got a brief flash of the metal claw. “No, no it’s just a coincidence. Not every kid who was part of that is here, there’s still Ajax, the Babylon Duo and after what happened at school there’s no way Dusk and Gleam are going to be here.”

Lara continued to watch as Rutan got out of a car along with a somewhat taller orange echidna boy who was covering his face with a purple bandana and a black ballcap over his eyes. “Thanks for agreeing to take me after that my parents had that emergency miss Ama-Ra,” said Rutan.

“Please call me Mrs. Shade,” the former Nocturnus soldier turned to the other boy from the driver seat. “Ajax you don’t need to wear a disguise, all the girls that are going know you.”

“That’s kind of the problem mom,” Ajax said. “At least half of them are crushing on me, I wish we’d just be cool like before this stupid growth spurt.”

“That getup isn’t going to last a day, but don’t worry once you and the other kids start hitting the big P I’m sure they’ll ease up once they find their own tastes and who knows you might find a girl you might crush on yourself.”

“If you say so, but right now I’d rather just stop tripping over myself on the soccer field.”

“Yoink!” Ajax’s hat was taken off his head by a nine-year old hawk-sparrow hybrid with purple tipped green feathers, a swallow tail and a hawk’s beak. “Well, you’re not going to make the middle school team with reflexes like that! Right Gale?”

A heavyset albatross-raven hybrid the same age as the other one with black tipped grey feathers and a raven’s beak laughed. “Sure thing Ace!” said Gale. “But he’s still cute, don’t know why he’d want to hide it.”

“Hey, give that back before somebody notices!” Ajax growled as he chased the hybrid birds.

Shade got out of the car as a squirrel in a trench coat, fedora, and sunglasses grabbed the ballcap. “What are you two doing here by yourselves?” asked Shade. “Where are the Babylon Rouges?”

“Our folks had a race to be at, so they flew the airship by and let us fly down on our own,” said Ace. “Camp sounds cool but Gale and I would still rather compete in the junior division.”

“Well given your lack of respect for this boy’s privacy they probably want you to learn a little more about sportsmanship and respect before they think you’re ready to take on the big leagues,” said the squirrel. “I’ll be watching you two at camp.”

“So, you both better shape up,” said Shade.

“Fine,” Ace grumbled. “Lousy rules saying can’t bring our extreme gear to camp.”

“At least Grace is going to be…” Gale then sighed. “Oh, wait can’t hang out yet her mom’s still watching.”

Ajax took the cap back from the squirrel. “Thanks.”

“Hey, I know the feeling,” the squirrel removed his sunglasses and lifted the hat off his head to show it was full of red hair.

Rutan went wide-eyed. “Prince Edward!? You’re going to camp too!?”

“Shhhhh!” the prince put the hat and shades back on. “I’m the most eligible bachelor in the Republic right now, I’m constantly being hounded by wannabe princesses at college and around here, I mostly took this summer job so I could have some peace and quiet at a place where there are only two girls old enough for me, one already has a boyfriend and the other is my sister.”

Lara took a deep breath. “Ok you might be onto something, but why do you think anything more to it that what your dad said?”

Sonia took a deep breath. “Ok last night I was…trying out Mom’s old ring blades without her knowing.” The chipmunk shot an angry glare at her brother. “She hadn’t used them in years and Manik here dared me. I heard both her and Dad coming in, so I hid. I overheard them talking on the phone with Mr. Prower and Mrs. D’coolette about how this camp was supposed to ‘prepare us for what’s coming next’.  I think, more happened to us than we could have understood back then.”

Lara shook out the image those three eyes out of her head. “Well, if something is going on we’ll find it but finding out what message is in this thing has to come first. Besides it might have just been your imagination I mean the two who were there we want to see the least haven’t…”

“Hey losers,” Gleam said as she and Dusk came over from where Shadow and Rouge arrived. “What’s going on here? Choosing the design for some stupid lanyard you’re all going to make identical copies of to show how big of a weenie you are?”

“We’re forming our own team of Freedom Fighters!” Taffy blurted out before covering her mouth.

“So much for it being secret,” groaned Argyle.

“I’m sorry! I was just so excited, and I thought we were just keeping it secret from the adults!”

“Manic, Skye,” Dusk grumbled. “I see you didn’t think to invite me, not that I would join you backstabbers.”

“They didn’t leave you out Dusk,” said Lara. “I’m the one putting this team together.”

Gleam scoffed. “What being princess of Angel Island not good enough for you?”

“I’m no princess!”

“Could have fooled me the way everyone there seems to treat you.”

“My grandmother, my namesake, wanted being a guardian to be a choice. My father earned their respect because of what he did as a guardian and I’m choosing to follow in his footsteps because I KNOW I will be great one!”

“And you think that’s so hot?! Our father is the ultimate lifeform, the blood of the Black Arms courses through our veins. He personally trained me to control the power I have, and I will prove to everyone the power I have inherited is unequal.”

“Funny,” said Manik. “I think at one point your dad said ours was the REAL ultimate lifeform.”

Gleam came right up to Manik’s face. “If that’s true you’re even more lame than I thought. At least Red here WANTS to step up to our parents’ example but you? You two, and most of these losers, may have inherited their power but aren’t even trying to live up to it.”

“Just what is your problem?!” said Sonia. “First you get on Aleena because none of the royal families are absolute monarchs anymore, now you’re getting mad at us for not being as strong as our parents?!”

“It’s all wasted potential! If you can improve yourself but don’t then what’s the point of even having those gifts at all?!”

“So you’re what?” asked Skye. “Teasing us so we’d toughen up or something? If you think improving yourself is so important why don’t you show us how you have instead of just acting like a jerk.”

Gleam looked at her hand as she clenched it. “You have no idea what you’re asking for dweeb.”

“Is there a problem here?” Mina asked as she came towards the group of kids.

“No Mom,” said Melody. “We were just having a friendly chat, weren’t we guys?”

“Uh yeah,” said Dusk. “Just going over our summer plans.” He then began muttering under his breath. “That don’t involve going to Mystic Kingdom because you went back on your promise.”

“Well, it’s almost time to get on the bus and it looks like the last two kids have just arrived. Line up according to the counselors’ instructions.”

As the kids started to group together a heavy-set girl walrus girl with a seal’s muzzle turned to Rotor and Sealia. “I-I’ll do my best, I’ll make new friends, try to lose weight…”

“Genevieve,” said Sealia. “We’re happy that you want to improve yourself mi petite angel and we want you to be healthy, but you won’t get a good self-image by unless you like yourself on the inside.”

“You’re half seal and half walrus, blubber comes naturally to us,” said Rotor. “But you’re a brilliant girl when it comes to machines, you should be proud of that nickname you got Gasket.”

Gasket sniffled. “Thanks, I still want to make more friends, but I’ll try to do it be being me.”

Shard knelt in front of a grey lynx with black markings with a pair of goggles on his forehead. “You sure you’re all packed up Alan? Not missing anything?”

“I made a checklist and confirmed it all this morning Dad. With my intellect I should be able to handle all non-physical activities with ease, the physical ones too with Gasket’s help.”

A Nicole, who had a particularly large stomach, ruffled Alan’s fur. “Now if only they had classes on humility…OH!” Nicole doubled over as Shard grabbed her. “It’s ok, Cassie is just using my kidneys to practice either soccer or kickboxing.”

“Are you sure about me going Mom?” Alan asked. “I know you’re not due for a couple of months but if something happens and Cassie’s premature…”

“It’s ok Champ,” said Shard. “Between Dr. Fox, all the moms we know and having gone through this once we’ll be ready for whenever your little sister decides to have her birthday.”

“Alright kids!” Kneecaps yelled. “Everybody line up for the bus! First in head for the back and sit down, that’s going to be your seat until we get there!”

Lara and the others found themselves in the back of the bus while Alan and Gasket were up front. “Looks like we’ll have to wait till we get there to talk,” said Argyle.

“It’ll just be an hour or so,” said Lara. “Relax, once we can get them to fix this the rest is going to be cake.”


Back in the present the kids slumped down on the table.

“Little did we know we were in for the three of the most frustrating and bitter weeks of our lives,” said Lara as tears came to her eyes. “And the biggest failure of any life I lived.”

“Do you need a break?” asked Blaze. “We could go to the reception a bit and come back if you some time to…”

“No, this is actually helping a bit. Anyway things began going downhill once we got to Camp Great Oak…”

Chapter 27: Past Tense

Summary:

Lara continues the story of the Future Freedom Fighters time at Camp Great Oak and how they ended up back in the past.

Chapter Text

After a couple of hours on the road the bus pulled into a small parking lot, a lodge and a large, beautiful lake was nearby. Once the kids started getting off two echidnas in their 20’s, a pink quilled woman and a red quilled man, stepped forward. 

“Hello campers!” said the echidna girl cheerfully. “Welcome to Camp Great Oak! You can call me Rora and this is Jackie, you already met Kneecaps, Lexi and Eddie on the way over so let’s get you all to orientation and the initiation ceremony!” 

“Initiation ceremony?” asked Ajax. “This isn’t some trick to get us to join an evil secret society or something is it?” 

“No silly, just a fun way to assign your cabins and groups for team activities!” 

“Any questions you have the camp director will answer them during orientation,” said Jackie. “Grab your stuff and follow us to the bonfire circle.” 

As the kids began moving Rutan came close to Lara and started whispering to her. “I didn’t think they’d be here; I’ve seen the adults back home whisper to each other when they don’t think those two are looking.” 

“You’re just imagining things,” Lara whispered back.” So, what if Enerjak and Aurora are named for a god and goddess, the fact that they use those nicknames most of the time just shows they want to be normal like most everybody else.” 

A minute later the kids were brought to a bonfire pit with a semi-circle of benches carved out of logs on one side and one the other a tree stump big enough to serve as a small stage where a buffalo in a forest ranger’s uniform and hat was standing in front of a folding table with three boxes and several colored sashes resting on it.  

“Alright campers if you would all get yourselves seated, we’ll get started.” Everyone took a seat while the five counselors stood to the side of the stage. Everyone who was recruited into the Future Freedom Fighters made sure to sit close together. “First let me welcome you all to the first ever Great Oak Freedom Fighter Summer Camp! Now you and the counselors have probably gotten to know each other already so let me introduce myself. I’m Will Bison and I’m the director of this camp, I’m also the cook, handyman, boathouse master, the local forest ranger and run the camp store so don’t be surprised if you don’t see me a lot, just means I’m probably doing important work somewhere around here because of all the hats I wear. For the next twenty-one days we’ll be embarking on an exciting adventure together, an adventure like one the Freedom Fighters started when they were around your age. Many such groups were thrown together by chance and circumstance and your team will be determined in a similar fashion.” 

Sonia raised her hand. “We don’t get a choice in who we do stuff with?” 

“Only when it comes to scheduled camp wide activities, during free periods you can hang out with whoever you want, plus you’ll take our various classes with anyone else who’s signed up. You’re going to need to pick at least two of those, but we’ll do that tomorrow. Today we only have enough time after orientation here to give you a tour of the campgrounds, dinner and settling you into your cabins before lights out. But before any of that we must assign you your cabins, but this isn’t just where you get rack time and keep your footlocker. You’ll be bunking with the team you’ll be doing all contests, Freedom Fighter classes and mock missions with. We have four boys’ cabins and four girls’ cabins; each can house four campers and is named for a wisp. When I call your name come up to the stage, Ace.” 

The swallow-hawk began to strut up. “Obviously, you let the best go first.” 

“No, you’re just the first alphabetically,” Director Bison motioned to Kneecaps after he and Alexis each picked up one of the boxes. “Reach in and pull out one of the balls.” 

The top of the box had a flap that kept Ace from looking into the box while still letting him reach inside. After feeling around for a second or two he pulled out an orange ball. 

Will nodded and grabbed an orange sash. “That means you’re now part of rocket cabin, wear this with pride. Let’s give him a hand everyone.” Will draped the sash around Ace before he went back as the everyone applauded. 

As Ace went back Lara whispered to the others. “Since we won’t get a lot of free time today our best chance to get Gasket and Alan alone is to get them to join is for one of us to get the same cabin as them.” 

“But it all goes to luck,” said Jacques. “And since we ‘ave to go alphabetically we have to hope Gasket gets the same one Belle does or the rest happen to get a match before their cabin gets three more campers.” 

“Ajax,” the director said. 

The orange echidna came up and plucked another orange ball from the box. 

“Great,” Ajax grumbled as he took the orange sash. “I have to bunk with that blowhard.” 

“Alan.” 

“This could be bad,” said Sonia. “If he pulls another orange the guys’ll have only one shot to get close to him.” 

Alan pulled out a yellow ball. 

“Looks like you’re in Drill cabin,” Will said as he gave Alan a yellow sash. 

“What’s with the third box?” Alan asked. 

“Oh, we’ll get to that after everyone gets sorted out,” said Will. 

As Alan went back to his seat Manic whispered to the rest of the team. “Ok, us guys have to aim for yellow while we’re up there.” 

“Aleena.” 

“First of the girls,” Aleena said as she reached in the box. “Now we start filling up the FUN cabins!” 

Aleena reached in and pulled out a pink ball. 

“That puts you in Spike cabin,” said Will as he handed Aleena a pink sash. “Argyle!” 

“Ok, the Future Freedom Fighters are now going on their first mission. Come on yellow.” 

Argyle pulled out a red ball. 

“Burst cabin, congratulations!” 

After Argyle got his sash and the rest of the camp clapped Lara whispered as he sat back down.  “It’s ok, we still have a lot of chances and the most this will set us back by is a day.” 

“Astral.” 

“Prince Astral,” the royal purple hedgehog said as he came on stage. 

“Not here according to your parents. Same goes for your sister.” 

Sighing Astral reached in and pulled out a yellow ball. 

“Drill cabin!” 

“That’s one slot we needed down,” said Lara. “Now the boys only have two left, and we don’t even know what the girls are even aiming for.” 

“Aura it’s your turn!” 

The pinkish blonde tenrec came up and pulled an ivory-colored ball out. 

“Lightning cabin! Belle.” 

“Just hope ah pull the same color Gasket gets,” Belle said as she came up on stage. Reaching into the box she pulled out a pink ball. 

“Spike cabin! Brawn.” 

“Took ‘em long enough.” 

 The armadillo pulled out another orange ball. “Rocket cabin! Candy.” 

The little cat hopped up and plucked out a pink ball. 

“Spike cabin!” 

“I’m sorry I didn’t get a different cabin to double our chances,” Candy said as she came back. “But at least we have two Future Freedom Fighters in the same cabin to get more practice in together.” 

Belle put her mechanical hand on the back of her head. “Uh I hate to break it to ya hon but, you aren’t part of the team.” 

“But my I thought you asked me to help because you wanted me to be part of your team?” 

“Cocoa.” 

“It’s nothing personal,” said Argyle. “We just thought you were too little.” 

Cocoa pulled out a crimson ball. “Eagle cabin!” 

“I’m the same age a lot of your moms and dads were when they got started!” 

“It’s not about age,” said Lara. “Skye was as old as you were in that timeline, I just prioritized based on the team we had then. The only reason we need Gasket and Alan was because while Argyle was good enough at computers to do some light hacking that team didn’t have a tech expert.” 

“Dusk.” 

“So other than that, we’re sticking with the team you had then,” said Manik. 

Dusk pulled out a cyan ball. 

“Laser cabin!” 

“Whatever,” Dusk said as he took his sash. 

“Not exactly,” said Lara. “Because of how that timeline was you and Sonia couldn’t be part of it because well…you were both five while I was…twenty-one. But that’s not a problem now.” 

“So, you only want me because I’m your friend?” said Sonia. “And you figured my brother and me were a were a package deal and that’s why you wanted him?” 

“Flare.” 

“No! Sonia, I know you can be an awesome Freedom Fighter! You’re always staying cool under pressure and…” 

“It’s my speed, isn’t it?” Melody interrupted. 

Flare pulled out a crimson ball. “Eagle cabin!” 

Lara turned to the Mongoose. “Excuse me?” 

“If they were little then your team wouldn’t have a speedster and that’s why I was part of it wasn’t it?” 

“It was an emergency under pressure thing, but I think you have a lot to contribute.” 

“What did I do then?” asked Taffy. “On top of my flying that is since that’s what Skye can do too.” 

“And me!” said Candy. “There must have been something I was good at!” 

“Gale.” 

“Um actually, in that timeline Melody was Skye’s big sister and…I’m not sure if either of you existed.” 

Candy began to slightly tear up. “I-I didn’t?” 

“It’s ok Candy,” said Argyle. “You’re here now, I wouldn’t have it any other way.” 

Taffy looked over at Lara. “If I wasn’t there then why did you ask me to join?” 

Gale pulled out a magenta ball. “Rhythm cabin!” 

“Taffy I know you Mel and Skye are super tight; I didn’t want them to think they had to shut you out. But you also got good instincts and with Pull’s strength we’d be even better.” 

“So, you need me because you don’t think my brother and my BFF would do it together otherwise.” 

“Genevieve.” 

“Pay attention everyone,” said Argyle. 

Everyone looked on as Gasket pulled out an ivory ball. 

“Lightning cabin!” 

“Too bad she didn’t get spike,” said Lara. “But now the rest of us know what to aim for.” 

“Gleam.” 

The white hedgehog scoffed as she pulled out a crimson ball. 

“Eagle cabin!” 

“That’s assuming we still want to do this,” said Melody. 

Taffy turned to the mongoose. “Mel what are you saying?” 

“Grace.” 

“Well Sonia and Manic both have super speed, if Lara can have her best friend cover that I’d might as well be a backup singer to them.” 

“Hey, I’m having my own second thoughts here,” said Sonia. 

“What?” said Manik. 

The young vixen pulled out a magenta ball. 

“Rhythm cabin!” 

Grace put on the magenta sash. “Hey Gale, now we can be bandmates AND bunkmates!” 

“Awesome!” said Gale. 

“I thought this was about helping the world and getting us to be real Freedom Fighters,” said Sonia. “But it looks like you’re making this about YOU Lara.” 

“I’m just going with what I know,” Lara said. 

“Then let Melody have this, you have no real reason to have me, I might as well be a cheerleader.” 

“Ian.” 

“Sis what are you talking about?” said Manik. “This our chance to really show we can live up to our parents’ image.” 

Sonia pouted. “Well, who said I wanted to be like Mom?” 

Ian pulled out a yellow ball. “Drill cabin!” 

“Guys,” said Skye. “There’s just one bunk left in Alan’s cabin.” 

“Jacques.” 

The cyborg coyote pulled his mechanical arm. “Don’t worry, I got zhiz.” 

Jacques came up on stage and pulled out a cyan ball. 

“Laser cabin!” 

“It’s alright brother,” said Belle as he came back. “Just some bad luck.” 

“Juanita.”  

The lavender chameleon was quick in pulling out an ivory ball. 

“Lightning cabin! Lara.” 

“Now we all have only one shot left,” Lara whispered to herself as she went on stage. “You can do this. Focus your chaos energy and visualize the result you need.” She reached into the box. “Ivory, ivory, ivory.” 

She pulled out a crimson ball. 

“And Eagle has become our first full cabin!” 

Lara felt a chill go up her spine as she took the sash and started going back to her seat. “But if I’m there then that means I have to spend three weeks teaming up with…” 

Gleam growled as Lara passed. “Worst summer ever.” 

“Manik.” 

As Lara sat down Manik proceeded to the stage. He reached into the box and pulled out a cyan ball. 

“Laser cabin!” 

“Oh, come on!” shouted Dusk. “Is it too late for me to trade bunks!?” 

“Manik trade with one of us!” said Tide. 

“That’s the last cabin where we can bunk together!” said Soar. 

“No substitutions,” said Will as he gave Manik his sash. “We’re trying to show how the Freedom Fighters forged their bonds through the fires of adversity. Melody.” 

Manik and Melody swapped places as the girl pulled out a magenta ball. 

“Rhythm cabin!” 

Melody took the sash and sat back down without a word. 

“Salma.” 

“Hey don’t sweat it,” said Taffy. “There’s only three girls left and two them are on the team so we’ll…” 

The violet chameleon pulled out an ivory ball. 

“And lightning cabin is filled!” 

“…have to hope Skye gets lucky.” 

Salma groaned as she got her sash. “Seriously?! Juanita and I had JUST gotten our own rooms back home and now I have to share with her again?!” 

“Ah come on sis,” said Juanita. “It’ll be fun, I’ll even let you invite Rutan in for some smooching!” the younger chameleon began making a kissy face. 

“When did you get so annoying?!” 

Juanita pouted. “When did you get to be such a drag?” 

“Skye.” 

“This is it,” the young fox muttered to himself. “But no pressure, we already have to wait for Gasket anyway so doing the same for Alan isn’t too bad. What’s the worst that can happen?” 

Skye pulled out a cyan ball. 

“And Laser is the first boys cabin to be filled!” 

“You got to be kidding me!” shouted Dusk. “I have to bunk with these two!” 

Skye growled as he went back to his seat. “Hey, you’d think this was awesome if you weren’t being so stubborn about that fight last week!” 

“Slim.” 

The thin purple cat pulled out an orange ball. 

“Rocket cabin has been filled!” 

“That’s speed,” said Slim. “It actually reminds of a story. Mom and Dad wanted to get fireworks to celebrate Restoration Day, but Froggy Sr. had a cold so we couldn’t ride him to town. So, we went on a walk and…” 

“Ok son back to your seat,” Once Slim left the director turned to the kids. “Since we have one bunk left in the four remaining cabins will Soar, Tide, Sonia and Taffy please come up together?” 

The four kids came up, as the boxes were offered to Soar and Sonia. Soar sighed as he reached in and pulled out a red ball. 

“You’re in burst cabin so that leaves…” 

Tide reached in and pulled out a yellow ball with a groan. 

“Drill cabin.” 

“Hey if you want to share a cabin, I’d gladly trade with ya Tide!” shouted Argyle. 

“Again, no substitutions,” said Will. 

Sonia reached in Alexis’ box and pulled out a pink ball. 

“Spike cabin so that finally leaves Taffy to get…” 

Taffy pulled out a magenta ball. 

“Rhythm cabin!” 

“Hey Mel, we’ll be bunking together!” said Taffy. “We can work on our rock band just before bed!” 

“Ok kids,” said the director. “Now that you’ve been assigned to your cabins, we’ll go over some basic rules. When one of the counselors or I tell you to do something you better do it. Not only that if you have questions, or need help go to one of the counselors first and quickly. Even here at camp you’re going to have to do chores to keep your cabin and the campgrounds neat and tidy, there will be inspections so note when they are but always be prepared for a surprise inspection. Lights outs is at 1930 hours on the dot, and your wakeup call will occur at 0630, that should give you the right amount of sleep kids your age need so I suggest you get used to it. 

“The camp is surrounded by a fence past which is most of the local forest, going past that fence without an adult is off limits, usually you’ll only go that far on a nature hike or other activity. Never go into the inbounds wilderness area or the lake alone, we use the buddy system here so always have a friend come with you. Speaking of the lake even during free period swimming is not permitted without an adult present and no picking and eating any nuts, berries or mushrooms from the woods. We’ll have activities for swimming, canoeing and foraging where you can do these under tight supervision. More specific rules will be posted near where they apply.” 

Director Bison then picked up the third box. “Lastly if you brought any electronics, personal valuables or anything you don’t want to lose I have to ask you put it in here for safe keeping. Your parents should have told you not to bring anything like that, but I ran enough camps to know one or two of you didn’t listen to them and separating you kids from your phones these days is next to impossible.” 

As Lara took her phone out of her backpack, Will noticed the capsule. “What’s that?” 

“Uh Mr. Bison, I found this earlier was and wondering what it is, maybe get someone to fix it...” 

 Will took the capsule and Lara’s phone. “This is odd and is a little out of the league of the nearest repair shop, but don’t worry. I’ll hold onto this until I hand all of these back to your parents.” 

“Wait our parents?!” gasped Dusk. 

“Why can’t you give our stuff back to us once camp is over!?” asked Lara. 

“There’s a very good reason for that,” said the director. “Which I am not allowed to tell you as it involves an incident where litigation is still pending. Alright, I have to put these away and get started cooking for everyone so our counselors will give you the tour of the campgrounds then bring you to the lodge for your first meal here. Hope you like burgers!” 

“Ok,” said Eddie. “While Jackie does cleanup, we’ll get started. Group up with your cabin and form a line behind me. If you want to mingle it’ll have to wait until chow time.” 

As the kids started to move about Gasket passed by Lara. 

“I heard you guys talking about us,” she said. “Alan’s going to sit next to me at dinner so you can tell us about that device there.” 

Lara nodded as the campers began to go on their tour. 


Later in the lodge the kids lined to get a hot diner before heading to one of the large tables to sit down and enjoy their meal. 

Lara sat over with Gasket and Alan and the rest of her team followed. 

“Ok,” asked Alan. “Why were you guys so interested in talking to us that it seemed to like that was your main concern when it came to bunks?” 

“I’ll be frank,” said Lara. “I found something I need you two to fix, some sort of capsule that had a hologram that said it was sent from almost two hundred years in the future.” 

“And why don’t you think this is some kind of prank?” said Alan. “Holograms are easy with today’s technology.” 

“You may want to swallow your food and drink first; this is going to be crust.” 

After hearing the explanation Alan sighed. “That… is pretty out there.” 

“But I saw the device at orientation,” said Gasket. “I’d love to get a closer look at it, just to see what it might be.”  

“Too bad the director swiped it,” said Argyle. 

“Yeah,” said Lara. “Now I have to explain it to my parents and either they won’t believe me, punish me for sneaking out to get this thing while grounded or they take me seriously bring it to some lab and lock us all out of this. I know these memories came to me for a reason, I think this team is going to play a big part in what’s coming, but I doubt our parents would let us help, especially after…what happened five years ago.” 

Everyone at the table shuddered. “I still get nightmares about that,” said Alan. 

The three-eyed monster with a metal claw flashed in Lara’s mind. “Yeah, me too.” She tightened her fist. “But we can’t let that control us forever. We still have three weeks here if we all put our heads together, we should find a way to get the capsule back.” 

“Well count us in then,” said Gasket. “If you say you need tech support then we’ll be happy to help.” 

“Gasket and I should be able to figure out how to get into the computer room and machine shop when classes aren’t being held,” said Alan. “Then we should have all the tools we need to crack this thing.” 

Sonia smiled. “Yeah, I bet we’ll also figure out why our parents got everyone involved in that ‘thing’ back then together here.” 

“You and Melody zure you’re ok with why Lara picked you two?” asked Jacques. 

“It’s fine now Jaquces,” said Melody. “Just needed to cool off for a bit, me and Taff got to speaking with our cabinmates and they want to form a band too.” 

“Well, we all have to be sure to spend some of our free time training,” said Lara. “Being able to sneak in here to get that capsule back is a goal we have to start working on tomorrow.” 

After dinner Lara entered the eagle cabin. It wasn’t much, just a single room with two bunk beds, a few windows that had window screen material instead of glass and a single overhead lightbulb. 

“I still can’t believe I have to live in this filthy hovel for nigh on a month!” whined Flare. “I hate getting dirty! Why can’t we have nice cabins like the counselors do!? They even have indoor plumbing!” 

“Dibs on top bunk!” called Cocoa. 

“I’d be fine with whatever bed is farthest from Red,” said Gleam. 

Lara tucked her things into a footlocker under the bottom bunk under Cocoa. “Feeling’s mutual,” she grumbled. 

Suddenly the slow strain of Taps came from outdoor loudspeakers.  

“You heard the director’s tune!” shouted Jackie as the other counselors filed into a cozy looking log cabin. “Lights out!” 

All the kids’ cabins turned out their lights as curtains were drawn in the counselors’ cabin. 

Lara settled under the covers and closed her eyes. “Everything starts to take shape tomorrow. I will be a guardian.” 

Suddenly there was a voice coming from the darkness.

“This actually reminds me of a story…” 

“GO TO SLEEP SLIM!” shouted every other kid. 

“Hopefully, that’s the worst it gets.” 


Lara gave a sigh as she looked at Silver. “It was all downhill from there, not just for me, not just for my team, but for every kid at Camp Great Oak.” 


 “Ok,” Lara said to her team. “I figured for our first training session we use whatever abilities we have to set a baseline then we can measure…” 

“Lara wait!” 

She turned to see that Sonia and Manic were coming in looking all swollen, red and puffy. “What happened to you two?!” 

“Turns out we didn’t just inherit our Dad’s speed,” said Manik. 

“We also got his bad poison sumac allergy,” finished Sonia. 


Melody picked up a microphone on the stage in the lodge. “I’m so pumped that you two had the same idea of forming a band as we did.” 

“So, are we rocking or what?” Grace said as she plugged an electric guitar into an amp. 

“Of course, this is just the beginning of the road for ‘Melody and the Notes’.” 

“Whoa, whoa, whoa!” said Gale from behind a drum set. “I thought the band name was going to be about all of us, not just you!” 

“They have a point,” Taffy said as she tuned up her bass guitar. “I thought we were going to be called ‘The Forget-Me-Knots 2’.” 

“That sounds like the name of a cash grab sequel to a kid’s movie,” said Grace. “Rock’s all about sticking it to the man, that’s why ‘Fuzzy Rebels’ is the perfect name.” 

“Not all of us have fur Grace,” said Gale. “How about ‘Situation Acceleration’?” 

“Terrible,” said Melody.  “There’s got to be a good way to figure out a name we can all agree on.”

“So, what do you suggest?” said Grace. “We each say something we like, and our name is whatever word salad comes up?” 

“Chao, chao,” said Pull. 

“Great idea Pull,” said Taffy. “Our name should reflect our music.” 

“So we gotta find our sound first,” said Melody. “Let’s just have a jam session and see where it takes us.” 

“Sounds good,” said Gale before she started banging a pair of drumsticks together. “One, two, one-two-three!” 

A big cacophony of mish-mashed genres caused the Eddie to come bursting in. “What’s going on?! I thought I heard a screaming chainsaw!” 

“I don’t want our band to be called ‘Screaming Chainsaw’!” cried Taffy. 

“It can’t be, it’s already the name of a song,” said Grace. “A pretty good one too, unfortunately my Mom and Dad hate it.” 


All the cabins were paddling large canoes around buoys in the lake. “Move it muscles!” yelled Ace. “I want our cabin to win this race!” 

“Then paddle with the rest of us!” yelled Brawn. “You’re rowing out of sync, that’s why we’re lagging behind!” 

“Hey, I can keep up with you, fisherboy and beanpole!” 

The sparrow hawk began paddling slower to match the others and while they caught up with the pack up the canoe also began going at a sharp angle. 

“What are you doing?!” yelled Ajax. “Move your paddle to the other side! We’re turning too much we’re gonna hit…!” 

The canoe struck lightning cabin’s boat causing it to hit the canoe of burst cabin and so on until all the boats were taking on water.

On the shore Director Bison sighed as he looked through binoculars. “Did those kids just sink all my canoes?” 

Rora sighed as she watched the other counselors in a pair of small motorboats begin to fish the kids out. “It’s fine, we’ll all laugh about this later.” 

“I think I’ll cry, all the way to the boat store.” 


The kids were all around a campfire as Jackie spread his arms out while most were drawn into the edge of their seats. 

“…having fallen so completely into Sally and Sonic’s trap the roboticized mutate was dragged down, down, down into the deepest depths of the lake where they hoped it would stay forever. But years later folks in the area claimed to have seen the beast again; now rusted from all that time underwater they began calling him ‘Ole Rusty’, well those who lived to tell the tale. Even the Bem’s roboticzation immunity had no effect because the monster’s original DNA was so twisted and malformed to begin with. They say Ole Rusty’s still out there, emerging from the lake at night hoping to catch some unsuspecting campers off guard to devour and if you listen carefully, you can hear the creaking squeak of his rusty, blood caked claws…”  

A sudden creaking could be heard from the nearby bushes. A lot of the kids, especially the younger ones and Ian gasped. 

“…he’s here. Hopefully if we stay still and quiet, Ole Rusty might only snatch away one of us into the dark.” 

Ian closed his eyes. “I control my fear, it doesn’t control me.” 

After hearing some rustling in the bushes, the young cat realized what was coming. 

“Ragh!” a rusty looking mutate robot burst into the firelight. 

“I’m not afraid of…!” 

Ian stood to face the creature only to get drenched as he was hit in the back with about a half dozen water balloons. 

The creature stood stunned as Soar and Tide stared nervously, as a skunkette approached her dripping wet brother. 

“Uh,” went Soar. 

“Oh,” moaned Tide. 

“Those were meant for me, weren’t they?” Kneecaps said as he took off the head of his monster costume. 

“Way to crash it jokers!” yelled Cocoa. “I told Ian the monster was a big coward if you stood up to him, he was supposed to find his courage, not catch a cold!” 

“We didn’t know that!” said Tide. “Soar thought he was the only one who found out about the Ole Rusty suit, it was supposed to be an awesome prank!” 

“Everyone knew they had a monster suit!” hissed Ian. “Cocoa you found out about the suit in that shed the Director keeps forgetting to lock from Flare, but she learned it from Astral and I was with him when he found it. I thought it’d make you happy if I played along with it, I didn’t expect to need a hair dryer!” 

Jackie grumbled. “And here I was expecting kids would come to scary story night to actually get scared.”


“Ok Girls,” said Eddie. “Now that we’ve gotten this far out let’s do some recon on that old mine.”

“Right Cousin Eddie,” said Sonia as she took up a pair of bionoculars. “Candy since it’s too cloudy to see the sun can you check the compass? I need to be sure that’s the southern entrance the exercise needs us to scout.”

“Sure thing” said Candy as she went through her backpack. “Uh oh.”

Everyone looked in Candy’s direction. “What do y’all mean by ‘uh oh’?” said Belle.

“I think I left the compass on the picnic table back at camp.”

“So, we could be lost?!”

“Not a problem Belle,” said Eddie as he reached into his backpack. “There’s a GPS app on my phone, hold onto it, we’ll check the trees by here for moss on the northside and then use the GPS to double check, I’ll have to dock you some points though.”

Aleena came up as Belle looked for the app. “If the GPS on that works you think I could log into Neighborhood long enough to see if my page is still trending?”

Belle glared at the pink hedgehog. “Girl I think you have your priorities mixed up. Try spending time with us in the real world for a while.”

Aleena’s fingers twitched. “One minute, that’s all I ask.”

“I thought your parents wanted you offline this whole trip?” said Sonia.

The pink hedgehog huffed. “Well, I thought I’d be spending more time with Manik but you two and Lara seem to drag him away every chance you get! He keeps saying that what you’re doing is important but won’t tell me anything! I thought he LIKED me!”

“Aleena it’s… complicated. We’re trying to develop our skills and…”

“I got skills! Look!” Aleena held out her hand and red and yellow staff appeared in it. “Turns out I got some of Mom’s magical power, so my uncle King Rob and cousin Prince John gave me lessons on how to use it watch!”

Aleena began swing the staff around in a flashy manner. One swing came near enough to Candy that she had to duck.

“Eep!”

“Stop it before you hit somebody you idgit!” shouted Belle.

“Just one more, watch…whoops!”

The staff flew from Aleena’s hands a flew through the branch of an old dead tree. The branch fell along with the hornet’s nest attached to it; the nest broke on impact releasing a very angry swarm.

“Abort mission!” shouted Eddie. “Run!”

The girls then followed the prince screaming into the woods as the hornets gave chase.


Lara parted a peeked over a ridge, up above Alexis was dressed up as a swatbot and carried a gun that shot paint covered foam balls as she stood next to a flag in small a wooden fort. The Echidna’s attention was then drawn to a nearby grated pipe. 

“Ok, with Cocoa acting as lookout for the other counselor swatbots patrolling the area, we should be able to get that flag and win this mission. Flare you’re smallest of us, crawl though and open that pipe then the flag is ours.” 

“Absolutely not!” Flare pouted. “If I do that my carefully groomed fur will get covered in mud!” 

In one quick motion Gleam knelt, picked up a handful of mud and smeared it over Flare. “There, you’re already muddy, now you have no excuse.” 

The white cat girl caught fire for a moment, the mud on her had dried and hardened. “How DARE YOU! Do you know how much work it is to get myself this pretty each morning?!” 

“Intimately, you spend almost as long in the bathroom as my mom, and you don’t even wear makeup!” 

“Please for someone who wanted to be thought of as tough you brought a lot of eyeliner and nail polish!

“Can it both of you!” yelled Lara. “That’s an order!” 

Gleam pushed back against Lara. “Nobody put you in charge Red!” 

“Well, I seem to be the only one who wants be in charge of anything other than herself!” 

“But do you have to be so bossy about it?!” said Flare. “We’re not part of that little clique you made when you got here so don’t treat us like we are!” 

“It’s not a clique and I value everyone’s opinion there equally!” 

“Uh girls,” Cocoa said as she came up to them. 

“WHAT?!” all three yelled. 

“Alexis isn’t at the flag anymore.” 

In short order Alexis fired paint covered foam balls at the four marking them. “Sorry ladies,” the young squirrel said. “But looks like the campers haven’t won capture the flag this year.” 

“How can we all have lost?!” said Gleam. “We had you guys out numbered over six to one!” 

“Traps we set and careful strategy. But that only worked because this was designed so that a least two teams needed to work together to win and it looks like none of the teams reached out because they were too busy fighting amongst themselves, like you were just now. I honestly expected better from you kids.” 


Skye jabbed a waffle with a fork as he sighed in relief. “Finally, we get a full day as a free period until tonight’s Bonfire Sing Along Jamboree and tomorrow our parents will take us all home.” 

“It wasn’t that bad,” said Argyle. “Sure, there were a lot of things that went wrong but we learned cool stuff and had a good amount of fun right guys?” 

Lara laid down on the table glumly. “This whole trip was cursed. We barely improved on the strength or control of our powers, every attempt to get the capsule back ended up with one of us getting punished by holding up water filled buckets for up to an hour; stupid thing wasn’t even kept in his office; and once Dad hears about how abysmal our mission performance was he’ll NEVER let me be a guardian!” 

Argyle rubbed Lara’s shoulder. “Come on, so it turns out your body hasn’t developed enough yet to manage the stuff the other you learned from the rest of the Chaotix, you’ll get there eventually.” 

Lara gave an angry glare at the croc. “You think THAT’S what got me upset?! This team has been falling apart since day one! Melody and Taffy went from having their attention split between the band and team to wanting leave both! My best friend is hardly speaking to me since she went back to the Director’s office because of her conspiracy theory even though we KNEW by that point the fact that we all were part of…that thing we don’t talk about, was just a big coincidence!” 

“Hey, Argyle’s just trying to help,” said Gasket. 

“You gotta stay whelm,” said Manik. 

“Whelm?!” growled Lara. “Look around you, every friendship here has been strained to the breaking point, even the counselors are getting depressed! The future could be ruined all because I made a big mistake in putting this team together, something I didn’t realize because I so blinded with how powerful and cool that other me was!” Lara then sighed. “But for all I had going for me there was one thing I wasn’t. I’m no leader, not even then, your father was.” 

Alan put a bit of waffle in his mouth. “So, you’re just not going to get into the Director’s office to grab the capsule tonight.” 

“How can someone so smart be so dumb? It was never in there!” 

“Yeah, but it will be tonight. These big ears aren’t just for show, I overhead Aura gossiping yesterday. It seems like Dusk has been really desperate to get his cell phone back, he figured out the director kept all the contraband in his own cabin. Guy’s been trying to break in for weeks but while he was never caught, he couldn’t get in either. But the Director has to move all of that into his office before our folks get here tomorrow, something to do with that lawsuit and logging an inventory in the morning or something. Point is tonight’s the best night to snag the capsule, everyone’s going to be at the Jamboree so if we’re quick and quiet we can grab it and you can tell our parents you found it the woods or something.” 

“So, we get one last mission?” said Skye. 

Lara sat up. “Not we, I’m doing this alone. If too many of us are absent they’ll know something’s up, besides I…put you through too much already.” 


That right after sunset Lara told Rora she wasn’t feeling well and had to lie down in the cabin. As soon as everyone left for the Jamboree Lara snuck off to the lodge. Using a loudspeaker pole and a tree she made her way to the roof to the one reliable entrance that wouldn’t be locked, a bathroom window whose latch never worked quite right. After checking the hallway for the director, she found someone else altogether trying to open the office door. 

“Is getting your phone back that important Dusk?” Lara said as she came up. 

The bat growled at her. “What’s a goody two shoes like you doing here, shouldn’t you be joining in on the kumbaya’s right about now?” 

“Look, there’s something I need in there that’s more important than you checking out your Neighborhood status or whatever…” 

“You have no idea what this is all about.” 

“Point is we have a common goal, so we work together this one time and I’ll won’t narc on you.” 

“Fine, just let me open the door.”

Dusk took out a key and turned it in the lock. 

“Where did you even get that?” 

“Gleam’s not the only one who got special training. After…well you know, Mom saw I needed cheering up after Dad and Gleam left for a while, so she taught me a lot of the tricks she knew from her time as a thief and a spy. She made me promise not to use them without a good reason, I just disagree on what a good reason is. For example, I needed to get in here so I took a stole the key from Jackie while he and Rora were having a mutual tonsil examination if you catch my drift.” 

“Ok, more than I needed to know.” 

“Thing is usually Kneecaps and Alexis used that spot for canoodling…” 

“Not listening!” 

Dusk got the door open, the box from the initiation was on the desk. Lara rushed over and got the capsule out of the box. 

“What the heck is that?” asked Dusk. 

“None of your business,” said Lara. 

“Fine keep your secrets,” said Dusk as he fiddled with his phone. “I just have to get into the photo album and…” 

“Hold it,” said Lara as Dusk stopped on one picture. “Is that you? Giving a flower to Grace? Athair’s beads, you totally have a crush on her!” 

“Yeah, and I’d appreciate you keeping your mouth shut while I delete it.” 

“Delete it? Did she…?” 

“NO! Look, Grace is turbo speed, she laughs at all my jokes no matter how corny they are, and her smile is so wonderful. I don’t wanna get rid of this but,” Dusk sighed. “Our moms are still carrying on this old feud they had. If either one finds out, they won’t let us hang out anymore. You wouldn’t understand, me going to all this trouble to do this one stupid thing is like…”

“Manik standing up to Gleam because he really likes Aleena?”

Dusk became wide eyed. “Manik was crushing on Aleena? That’s why he acted like that to my Sis?”

Lara groaned. “Boys, why do you have to be so thick headed!? It was obvious to everybody he liked her. Look lets reverse things a bit, suppose Sonia was teasing Grace, what would you have done in Manik’s position?” 

Dusk fell to his knees. “I’m a total snotpill.” 

“Look you can still apologize to Manik and Skye, but more than that you have to talk about what that promise means because soon big changes are going happen to our bodies and our lives.”

Dusk turned the phone off and put it back in the box. “Ok, I’m going to tell Mom about how I feel about Grace and how her and Mrs. Fox’s dumb rivalry can go jump in a lake for all we care.”

Lara slipped the capsule into her jacket. “Ok, we better head to the Jamboree. I’ll just say I started feeling better then…” 

A floorboard creaked from the hallway outside, Lara and Dusk hid under the desk. 

“I thought everybody was going to be at the sing along!” said Dusk. 

“Maybe Director Bison wanted to get things sorted out early?” 

Soon a hedgehog covered head to toe in black armor came into the office and began looking around. 

Dusk peeked at the figure. “Who’s this guy and why is he dressed like he should be at a biker rally-slash-sci-fi convention?” 

“Keep quiet!” whispered Lara. “If we’re lucky he’ll leave before he notices us!” 

The hedgehog then lifted his hand before the desk was covered in a blue aura before floating to the ceiling. The next moment the aura covered the kids before they were pulled towards him.

“Even you kept your mouths shut my suit would have picked up your heartbeats,” said the rectifier. Suddenly his visor flashed a bit of static. “Or at least it did, what’s up with these malfunctions? Looks like I’ll have to bring you along for interrogation.” 

“I don’t know who you are freak,” said Dusk. “But my sister’s going to notice when I haven’t snuck back to the others in time, then you’ll really regret it.”

“Oh, don’t worry, we’re going to interrogate all your little friends too.” 

The rectifier levitated and all three floated out of the room. 


Over at the bonfire Aurora was playing an acoustic guitar while she and the other counselors sang. The kids followed along but halfheartedly. 

“Camp Great Oak where we laugh and play underneath the shining sun. 

Whether we hike, or swim or sing, we’re always having fun! 

But the best thing in Camp Great Oak are my friends and memories. 

That even when I’m all grown up…” 

“Will make me want to heave!”  Gale ad-libbed getting a chuckle from a few campers. 

Aurora stopped playing then turned to Gale with an uncharacteristic snarl. “IT’S ‘WILL ALWAYS BE DEAR TO ME’! NOW GET IT RIGHT OR PAY THE PRICE!” 

For a few second there was only cackling of the bonfire until Aurora sighed. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to snap. It’s just this was my favorite memory of my time here when I was your age, the grand finale of me and Jackie’s own camping experience and I wanted to have it again. It’s not fair for me to expect you to be as excited as I was because camp wasn’t as good a time for you. So, what say we take from the top and maybe just for a little bit we can pretend everyone had fun here.” 

After a quick strum everyone began singing again. 

“Deep in the Great Forest, nestled among mighty trees 

By shores of Lake Valor, is the best place to be. 

Camp Great Oak where we laugh and play underneath the shining sun. 

Whether we hike, or swim or sing, we’re always having…” 

Suddenly a female hedgehog rectifier stepped into the firelight bringing everything to a halt. 

Enerjak stepped up to the woman. “Excuse me but this is private proper…” 

In a single movement the rectifier sent the young man flat on his back. 

“Jackie!” yelled Aurora. 

“Stay where you are,” said the rectifier. “Cooperate and this will be over with quickly. I’m looking for a device, a metal cylinder about yea big. Hand it over if you have it, if you don’t then just stay out of our way until we find it and we should be out of here in a half hour at most.” 

“Rrgh!” 

Gleam leapt at the rectifier who moved like water sidestepping her spin attack before pinning her to the ground. 

“You have spunk, I’ll give you that. But it’ll take a lot more discipline before you can reach my level.” 

The psychic hedgehog came in levitating Lara and Dusk. “Beta one, I found two more.” 

Two other rectifiers, a male echidna and a female mongoose came up. “We swept the area,” said the mongoose. “No sign of the capsule visually, our armor’s sensor suite doesn’t appear to be working however.” 

“What’s the matter?” said Gleam. “Worried that your toys might be broken?” 

“You little BRAT!” Beta one moved to punch Gleam only to pull back at the last second. “The limbic regulator, this is more serious than I thought. Ok then, we’re going to have to do this a little differently. You’re all coming with us, once we deal with a few minor technical problems you can be interrogated properly.” Beta one pushed Gleam towards the other kids then tapped her forearm. “Marking subjects for transmat, returning to base.” 

In a flash everyone vanished from around the bonfire.

Director Bison came up. “Sorry I took so long in the outhouse; I know Sonic’s chili dogs are iconic but they don’t make me smell like roses…” He stopped and noticed the distinct lack of anyone else. 

Up above a large black flying machine began moving towards the mountains. 

“I am so losing my job over this.” 


Lara and the rest of the camp found themselves in a large bare room with slick metallic walls. 

Mellow tried to open the one visible door with no luck. “What are we going to do?! We don’t have this capsule they want, and I don’t think they’re going to keep their word!” 

“Ok, just stay calm everyone,” said Kneecaps. “Best thing to do is cooperate with them, if they see we don’t have this capsule thing and still not let us go I’m sure my big brother and your parents will be by to rescue us.” 

“When?!” said Rutan. “It took them a month to find us the last time we were kidnapped, and we all know how THAT turned out!”

The monster with a metal claw flashed in Lara’s mind.

“I wanna go home!” cried Juanita. “I want my mom and dad!” 

“Keep it together!” said Salma. “Remember your training, deep breaths, that capsule isn’t here so there’s no use in worrying over something we can’t control.” 

“No,” said Lara. “They can’t have it.” 

Sonia came up to Lara. “Wait, you actually managed to get it back?” 

“Lara what are you talking about?” asked Aleena. 

Lara-Su reached into her jacket and pulled out the capsule. “It just popped into my room a month ago, no clue as to why.” 

“Alright,” said Ace. “Then once those guys come back you can just give it to them and they’ll let us go.” 

Lara pulled the capsule away. “They can’t have it, just listen to this and you’ll see why.”

Lara pushed the flashing blue button causing the hologram of Red Knight to appear again. “This…warning…year 3438 P.X.E. …capsule…vital information…Freedom Fighters…can’t…wrong hands… fate of the galaxy…” 

“3438?” asked Eddie. “So, these guys are from the future?” 

“It’s a safe bet, but either way the message mentioned the ‘wrong hands’, those creeps sure don’t look like the right ones.” 

“Well then,” said Gleam. “Better make sure they don’t get it.” 

The white hedgehog grabbed the capsule, Lara-Su pulled back. “What do you think you’re doing?!” 

Gleam tugged at the capsule. “Smashing this thing before they come back!” 

Lara tugged harder. “But it mentioned the Freedom Fighters! We should give it to them!” 

Gleam began regaining control. “You don’t know that!” 

The tug of war shifted again. “Which is why I wanted Gasket and Alan to fix it first!” 

“Too late for that! Give it to me!” 

“No!” 

“I said give it!”  

Suddenly it seemed like the room listed to one side as the door opened. Lara and Gleem lost their balance as they fell through the open door knocking Sonia, Manic and Dusk through with them. No sooner then they fell through then the everything righted itself again and the door slid shut again. 

“Cousin Lexi!” shouted Sonia. “Cousin Eddie!” 

“Don’t worry about us!” Alexis said from the other side of the door. “Try to find a way out of here, let them know what happened, bring back help!” 

Lara tossed the capsule to Manik. “Here, once we find a way off you can get it to somebody faster than me. Dusk you’ve shown me you’re really sneaky we’ll follow your lead.” 

“I’m not sneaking around!” said Gleam. “And I can find my own way out!” 

“Sis this isn’t the time or the place!” said Dusk. 

“I’m not following orders from Red and there’s nothing you can say to change my mind!” 

Gleam began marching down the hall.

Dusk cleared his throat. “Dear Diary, today Ms. Peahen gave us a lesson about puberty in science class.” Gleam stopped dead in her tracks. “Honestly, it kind of scares me, I think would just die if I became as busty as Mom.” 

Gleam turned around as Sonia, Manik and Lara-Su began snickering. “You have got to be the first girl who wishes she DIDN’T have your mom’s body!” Lara laughed.

“No please,” laughed Manik. “Anything would be better than being sexy!” 

“Shut it!” shouted Gleam as her face resembled Lara’s colors more than her own. “I-I’m just worried about it throwing off my center of gravity, I worked too hard to nail my spin attack to start over!” she then turned to her brother. “How did you even know I HAD a dairy?! I hid it too well!”

“Dad gave you your lessons, Mom gave me mine. By the way if you didn’t want me reading it you should have remembered we share a birthday when setting the combination. So, are you going to help us out or do I tell everyone about this guy you have a crush on and how you just GUSHED about him on page one-thirty-four?” 

“OMG!” laughed Sonia. “I never thought Gleam would crush on anybody!” 

The white hedgehog went up to the black bat’s face and gave a death glare at him. “Brother or not I will KILL YOU if you breath so much as a word of page one-thirty-four!” 

Dusk shrugged. “Eh if those guys catch us, I’m dead anyway, might as well get some entertainment value before I go. Dear…” 

“Alright you win!” Gleam turned to Lara. “But you better pray that you don’t screw this up for us!” 

Lara-Su gave a confident smile. “Ok as I was saying Dusk you take point and help us sneak around, everybody else is counting on us! 

Dusk led them down the corridor until they began hearing voices. “WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU CAN’T DIVE INTO THE SYSTEM!” They came close to a doorway and peeked in to see a female chipmunk rectifier yelling a male lynx comrade sitting at a computer terminal. 

“Another malfunction to add to the list of the ones we’ve been having since we left Imperium Center,” said the lynx. “Armor sensor systems, the surveillance cameras, external sensor suite, the limbic regulators and now the new Omni Drive. We’re just lucky all personnel were on board when it happened and we ended up at our next destination before Epsilon one shut the drive off, we can still accomplish our primary mission.” 

“Holding those kids for that long is a big risk. If something goes wrong, I swear…!” the chipmunk took a deep breath. “Just how long until you can get the limbic regulators working again? It’s been an awfully long time since any of us couldn’t use them to control our emotions as much we’re supposed to.” 

“First I have to find whatever is affecting our systems. I narrowed it down to a software problem, but since I can’t dive in to find it we’ll have to set the base down while I run a diagnostic. Given there’s a few hundred million lines of code to comb over it should be done in about forty-eight hours.” 

“Just, try to fix what you can in the meantime.”

“Compli…Wait a minute I just got internal sensors back online and I’m picking up the data capsule.” 

“Good, which one of those little munchkins has it?” 

“Strange, I’m not picking it up in the cargo bay…It’s coming from outside this room!” 

“Run!” Lara shouted.

As the kids ran off the chipmunk tapped the side of her helmet as she and the lynx gave chase. “Security alert!” she said as her words came out through the loudspeakers in the halls along with an alarm. “We have five escaped prisoners heading towards the bow on the portside corridor of deck three! All hands in the vicinity apprehend the escapees, use of force authorized up to level two!”   

“This way!” said Dusk as he turned into a doorway to his left.

They after Lara came in Dusk hit a button slamming a heavy shutter behind her. “It’s a dead end!” 

“Just the opposite Lara,” Sonia said as she got into a seat and began lowering a restraint over her head. “It’s an escape pod!” 

After everyone strapped in Gleam slammed her fist on a big red button. 

“Escape pod ejected!” a computerized voice said just as the occupants were subjected to the expected g-forces. 

The pod then made a crash landing in the woods, moments later the kids began getting out. “Everybody, split up!” said Lara. “Try to get help, Manik hide that thing somewhere you’ll remember! They’ll start coming after us again at any moment!” 

The five children then ran off into the Great Forest. 


“You pretty much know the rest,” said Lara. “If I did a better job of getting my friends to be a team we could have stood up to The Rectifiers, then they and everyone else wouldn’t be prisoners of them and we all wouldn’t have been stranded in the past with no way home!” 

“There was nothing you could have done,” said Gold. “The Rectifiers are most elite of the elite forces in the Mobius Imperium. If it didn’t risk their timeline, they probably wouldn’t have hesitated to kill you.” 

Gleam clenched her fists. “I just wish I was strong enough for round two.” 

“Silver,” said Blaze. “It will be four months until we can get a time stone from Little Planet. Is there any other way we can send them back home?” 

“I do know a form of Chronos Control that should work,” said Silver. “But we’re going to need two Chaos Emeralds and two people who are capable of using Chaos Control, with Sonic going on his honeymoon and more importantly with how hard it is to find a super warp ring it’s not a sure-fire option.” 

“I got one of the Sol Emeralds back recently, would that help?” 

“It should, we might be able to use one emerald of each kind so that just leaves one more and a chaos control user.” 

“Wait Shadow found another super warp ring last month,” said Gold. “He won the emerald and sent it to a United Federation energy lab for research purposes. If we can get the Federation’s help, we’d only need to rescue the hostages then we’ll be all set.” 

“What about this dohickey?” asked Dusk. 

“We’ll have to discuss that with the Freedom Fighters,” said Silver. “But between Rotor, Tails and Nicole we should be able to get this thing working. They’ll probably say it’s a broken downstream framistat regurgitator chip or some other nonsense like that.” 

“We’ll worry about the rescue mission,” said Blaze. “For now, you kids just stay put until we figure things out with the others.” 

Lara stood up. “No way! You’re going to need someone whose been inside the rectifier ship, you have to take one of us with you!” 

“And that someone is me!” said Gleam. “I can actually add firepower to this mission!” 

“You can all come us to CONSULT everybody on the layout of that mobile base,” said Gold. “I don’t doubt your ability, but this is a job for the grown-ups. Head to the reception with us and stay off to the side and out of sight until Sonic and Sally leave for their honeymoon, understood?” 

Lara looked to the side where she saw Jani-Ca give her a silent nod. “Fine, we’ll do it your way.” 


Moments later the group went into a tent with a dance floor and several tables set up. Sonic and Sally were currently standing in front of a table where a large wedding cake stood. 

“Ok girls!” said the princess as she held up a bouquet of white roses. “Now’s the moment you’ve all been waiting for!” 

Blaze and Gold stepped away from Silver and into a crowd where Nicole, Marine, Fiona, Honey, Liza, Saffron, Hope and several other young women were gathering. 

“I’m sorry Gold,” said Blaze. “You’re my friend, but for right now that means nothing to me as a woman.” 

Cream looked to her mother who gave her an approving nod, the younger rabbit gained the same determined face as the other women as she joined the crowd. 

“No need to apologize,” said Gold. “As a woman I don’t have to be a telepath to know right now we’re all thinking the same thing…” 

Sally turned her back to crowd as she took a deep breath then threw the white roses backwards over her head.

The crowd of women then yelled as one as the prize flew through the air. “THAT BOUQUET IS MINE!” 

Cream and Saffron tried to fly to catch it only get in each other’s way the rest reached up, but it seemed to head to Fiona’s hand. 

“I got it!”    

The vixen’s fingers brushed the stems as the bouquet flew past her and another figure swept past and grasped the flowers with her gloved hand as she landed. 

“Just like the old days,” said Rouge. “The object of your desires slips through your fingers and into mine.” 

Fiona growled. “No fair! You said you weren’t coming you dingbat!” 

“Mom?” Dusk said from the kids’ hiding place. 

Shadow and Omega came onto the dancefloor. “So you decided to come after all,” said Sonic. “I’ve heard of being fashionably late, but this is a little much don’t you think?” 

Shadow gave a small huff. “On the contrary, I’ve arrived just in time.” 

Suddenly Shadow punched Sonic in the face, the blue hedgehog was sent crashing into the wedding cake to the gasp of the crowd.  

“Dad!” Sonia and Manik yelled before Lara and Gleam pulled them back. Their outburst thankfully went unnoticed by the crowd.

“Shadow stop it!” screamed Sally. “I don’t know what your beef with Sonic this time is, but you have no right to do this!” 

“Just the opposite princess,” said Rouge. “He has every right,” Omega then held out a document to Sally in his clawed hand. “And this little piece of paper gives it to him.” 

Sally snatched the document from Omega. As she read it her expression changed from incensed to fearful. 

“Sally girl!” asked Bunnie. “What’s wrong?!” 

“Th-this,” Sally stammered. “This is a warrant!” 

“A warrant?!” yelled Tails. 

“Exactly,” said Shadow.

The black hedgehog towered over the blue one as he started to stir and wipe cake off his uniform. The children stayed hidden as they watched in shock along everyone in the reception. Shadow now held a pair of handcuffs.

“Sonic the Hedgehog, by the authority of the Mobian Accords and Guardian Units of Nations I hereby place you under arrest!” 

Chapter 28: The Agony of Debrief

Summary:

After being accused of a crime he didn't commit Sonic is forced to recount his last mission to a Federation agent and how it nearly turned into a disaster.

Chapter Text

Sonic groaned as the light bore down on him as he sat next to a table in an otherwise dark room, he raised his hand to try to block some of the glare. “What do you think I am? A begonia who hasn’t gotten enough sun?”

“I’ll ask the questions here little boy blue,” said a gruff voiced older human with a grey mustache wearing sunglasses and a black dress suit. “I’m Mr. Sharp, I represent GUN’s Reconnaissance and Intelligence Service.”

“So, you’re a spy?”

Sharp banged the table. “I said I’ll ask the questions here! Now start from the beginning!”

Sonic huffed. “Don’t know about you Mack, but for me it started after one of your guys decided to sucker punch me at my own wedding!”


24 hours ago

Shadow punched Sonic in the face, the blue hedgehog was sent crashing into the wedding cake to the gasp of the crowd. 

“Shadow stop it!” screamed Sally. “I don’t know what your beef with Sonic this time is, but you have no right to do this!” 

“Just the opposite princess,” said Rouge. “He has every right,” Omega then held out a document to Sally in his clawed hand. “And this little piece of paper gives it to him.” 

Sally snatched the document from Omega. As she read it her expression changed from incensed to fearful. 

“Sally girl!” asked Bunnie. “What’s wrong?!” 

“Th-this,” Sally stammered. “This is a warrant!” 

“A warrant?!” yelled Tails. 

“Exactly,” said Shadow.

The black hedgehog towered over the blue one as he started to stir and wipe cake off his uniform. Shadow now held a pair of handcuffs.

“Sonic the Hedgehog, by the authority of the Mobian Accords and Guardian Units of Nations I hereby place you under arrest!” 

Moments later Sonic was handcuffed at sat down at a table that unknown to him was very recently occupied by a group of kids that nearly crashed his wedding.

Shadow came in along with Rouge, Omega, Sally, Tails, Bunnie, Antione, Rotor, Nicole and Amy.

“Extradition is something both the Republic and the Federation agreed to in the accords,” said Sally. “But even then, there’s requirements to our cooperation. We need to see if the charges and evidence are reasonable enough for a trial before Sonic can be released into your custody.”

 “Yeah,” said Sonic. “Spill it so can I tell you why you’re wrong then Sally and Me can move onto something really personal and important for the both of us and neither wants to wait any longer for it.”

“You sure seem calm, for someone who’s getting arrested,” said Rouge.

“I’ve been accused of crimes by ‘the good guys’ so much that I’m part of the frequent diner program at the prison cafeteria, lock me up and I get the consolation prize of a free hoagie on my next visit.”

Shadow growled as he sat down and presented a tablet that had the G.U.N. logo on the back. “Early this morning there was a break in at the Energy Research Administration in Central City. Having acquired a chaos emerald for E.R.A. a few weeks ago Team Dark was called in to secure the lab and apprehend the intruders. This is footage of our confrontation.”

The video shown three Mobians in black armor; a skunk, a cat and a hedgehog taking the purple emerald from a glass cylinder. As Team Dark came into the room and began fighting the thieves Tails, Bunnie, Antione, Rotor, Nicole and Amy were beginning to come to the same conclusion.

“That’s your evidence?” scoffed Sally.

“Keep watching,” said Rouge.

The thieves gave a better fight than expected, the cat used martial arts manuvers to dodge Omega’s attacks, the skunk employed an acrobatic hit and run style and the hedgehog matched Shadow’s speed perfectly. Shadow threw a chaos spear point blank at the hedgehog who managed to dodge to the side, but part of his helmet was destroyed. The rectifier glared back for a moment before they all ran away with the emerald. Shadow rewound the image and paused on to show that it seemed like part of Sonic’s face was visible through the hole in the helmet.

“Care to explain that?” growled the black hedgehog.

Sonic just leaned back. “Robot duplicate, alternate universe double, Phantom Ruby illusion, shapeshifting octopus, take your pick. I’m really popular with the copycat crowd.”

“You have access to warp rings thanks to the Republic’s alliance with Angel Island and you’re fast enough that you could have robbed E.R.A. and have made it back here in time for this wedding.”

“Ask all the people I saved and crooks I busted on the way over here from Freedom City if I had time for a jewel heist today!”

“I was there, I could tell from his eyes that this wasn’t just a sort of copy. Before today I would have believed it was anyone other than you, but he looked at me like he knew my entire history! That’s not something you can fake!”

“Maybe that’s because he did know,” said Amy. “Just not in the way you think.”

Sally turned to the pink hedgehog. “You think you know who this imposter is?”

“Not exactly who, but I do have an idea what he and his cohorts are, hang on a moment I have to confirm something with Gold.”

Moments later Gold had come in and seen the footage.

“You’re right Mom they’re the same guys, this also lends credence to some of the rumors I’ve heard about them.”

“Care to share with the rest of the class?” said Sonic.

Gold sighed. “That, is a rectifier, a top elite solider of the Mobius Imperium.”

Sally gasped while Sonic raised an eyebrow. “The same Mobius Imperium that doesn’t exist anymore in the future after Fiona, Amy and their gang prevented me from dying a couple months back?”

“I thought the same thing myself until this afternoon, looks they came back to this time.”

“And how do you know this?” asked Sally.

“Well,” said Tails. “There was a bit of an…incident during the wedding. Bunnie and I didn’t want your special day interrupted so we asked a few of the guests to handle it quietly, but once it was over Silver, Blaze and Gold told us the rectifiers were the ones responsible.”

“That still doesn’t explain how these rectifiers are still able to exist now that Sonic survived the moment he was supposed to die,” said Shadow. “Or why one of them has Sonic’s face.”

Gold closed her eyes for a moment. “Our working theory is that saving Sonic wasn’t enough on its own, he was supposed to either stop or do something specific and until he does the timeline won’t change completely. As for the face all I have is a hypothesis but a very strong one. Everything about the rectifiers was classified; their organizational structure, operations, recruitment, training practices; officially to the average Imperium citizen they don’t even exist outside of holo-dramas. The best Final Freedom Fighter estimates put their numbers somewhere under fifty, but there were rumors. A few involved gathering DNA from some of the best Mobian fighters to ever live where it could have been used for anything from screening for descendants for recruitment to genetic enhancement to full out cloning. Given two hundred years and any one of those methods it could be easy for Sonic’s DNA and face to end up on a rectifier. The reason for him knowing your history Shadow he likely studied you in preparation for whatever mission he’s on. I don’t get why they’d be after Chaos Emeralds in the past though, after taking our base the Imperium should have already got all seven in the future plus the Sol Emeralds.”

“What we do know is that they have hostages,” said Bunnie. “A bunch of kids at that, and they seem to want to get their hands on some data capsule thingamabob. We have less than two days to trade the kids for the capsule, Gold you think our brain trust can get the data off that thing before the trade?”

“We have it,” said Gold. “But unfortunately, the thing’s busted and given we’re dealing with future tech we won’t have the time to extract the intel before the deadline. But I’m certain Red Knight, the one from the future that is, somehow sent it back trying to reach us. He must have found more information on how Sonic was supposed to stop the Imperium from rising in the first place.”

Sonic stood up. “Then get these cuffs off me and tell me where those rectifier creeps are! I’ll save those kids and bring in the faker before the champagne in the honeymoon suite even gets a chance to finish chilling! Then you should have all the time in the world to find out what’s in that thing!”

“Until we do confirm this theory, I can’t let you out of my sight,” said Shadow. “But I agree with your plan, provided I’m in there to get back the emerald they stole.”

Shadow took the cuffs off Sonic.

“Fine by me, you can see I’m innocent firsthand. By the way you owe us a wedding cake.”

“You can’t just rush in guns blazing,” said Sally. “Not with so many lives at stake, let me in on what you were planning. As much as I’d like to break in my new husband and get pampered at Emerald Coast, I wouldn’t be able to enjoy either unless I knew I helped out this mission however I could.”


The Present

“So, we set to work to bust the bad guys,” said Sonic. “Want me to go into our plan in detail or just skip to where I proved that it wasn’t me?”

“I think you’re under a mistaken impression Mr. Hedgehog,” said Sharp. “Or are you going by Mr. Acorn now?”

“Hedgehog, we Mobians traditionally to keep our family name, sometimes the more noble name is taken on but usually it’s an individual choice.”

“Right. Anyway, I’ve read the initial report your innocence has been proven.”

Sonic stood up slamming his hands on the table. “Then why I am still being interrogated?!”

“This isn’t an interrogation; this is a debriefing. And we’re here to answer the same question my associates are trying to get agents Shadow and Rouge to answer…”


 A dark-skinned man with a shaved head in a black suit and sunglasses threw down a set of documents and photos in front of Shadow. “How did this assignment turn into the biggest blunder in the entire history of G.U.N.?! Three operatives getting their backsides handed to them, millions of Unifed Dollars in damage to the Republic landscape, the near destruction of two aerial battleships that cost Federation taxpayers billions all while you let both the objective and the perpetrators get away Scott Free!”

Shadow sat back with his arms crossed. “I don’t like your tone Mr. Hammer. If you go around pointing fingers don’t be surprised when they get broken.”

“Calling me out for pointing fingers?! People in glass houses man! Somebody screwed up and we’re going to find out who! Either the Freedom Fighters are going to have to clean house, or we will, it all depends on you explaining to me what went wrong and when! Now if you were so suspicious of Sonic why follow him?”

“I wasn’t, I wanted Sonic to be innocent just as much as anyone else. Protocol demanded I ensured the suspect be restrained in the most effective means possible and that’s why I attacked him at the reception. But I knew that the fastest way to find who was impersonating him was to work with the guy and make him motivated to clear himself so I played the bad guy.”

“So, you requested to bring Sonic in because you really wanted it not to be him?”

“That and I knew none of our other agents were up to the task.”

“Are you making fun of me?”


“Absolutely not Ms. Pierce,” Rouge said to the red headed woman in a black work dress and sunglasses. “I wouldn’t dream of insulting a fellow agent.”

“I have a hard time believing you, your record shows you have a bad tendency to ignore standard operating procedure.”

“I was asked to join in part because I DON’T have a standard operating procedure, it helps to have someone flexible who can take initiative.”

“Then let’s with start with how you took initiative when it came to planning this operation, your plan that went so sideways it became backwards!”

Rouge narrowed her eyes and sunk down into her chair. “There was no way to tell that then, but I knew from the moment I walked into the room we had our planning session they needed my initiative because the backbone of who they wanted to start this out with was ridiculous.”


23 hours ago

Rouge was wide-eyed as she came into the main room of the lodge. “You’ve got be kidding me.”

Several other Freedom Fighters looked at the kids who seemed to be doing their best to avoid looking anyone in the eye. “Shouldn’t these kids be at the nearest hotel or something?” asked Sally.

“I wish we could leave them out of this,” said Gold. “But these children have managed to enter the Rectifier Base and get out alive, something nobody else has ever done. If The Rectifiers really did steal the emerald, that’s where it is and you’re going to need all the help you can get to have a chance at success.”

Julie-Su gave the Echidna girl a good looking over. “Funny, you seem familiar, but I can’t remember you from when almost all the echidna were locked in the Twilight Cage.”

“Uh…I was adopted by… Cassowaries!” said Lara-Su as she started to sweat. “We never met before, I’m just a kid after all, hahaha.”

“Now that you mention it, I am getting some strange vibes off these kids,” said Sonic. “Kinda like déjà vu, can we get your names?”

“Uh, Maril! Maril-In!”

“Yeah,” said Sonia. “I’m… Madonna and this is… Tuftee!”

“Hey, I should pick my own fake name!” Manik whispered.

“Gleam,” said the white hedgehog. “My brother here is Dusk.”

Lara then whispered to Gleam. “What are you doing?!”

“Look a few of these people have already heard our names before we realized what year we we’re in, if they ask around, they’ll know something is up!”

“Easy for you if our parents hear our names, they might put it together with the family resemblance and we might freak them out of ever having us at all! Best we can do is try to keep those in the know to a minimum until we get home!”

“Let’s just get what we need from these grade school bystanders and move on.” said Rouge.

“What don’t you like kids?” asked Rotor.

“I don’t mind them but look at our team. Omega here was built to be a war machine, my early days can be summed up as a riches to rags story where I started a thieving career just to not have an empty belly and Shadow’s infancy and childhood consisted of Professor Gerald’s computer beaming info into his brain while he slept and grew in a glass tube for a couple of weeks. None of us are exactly used to dealing with children.”

“Well for our sakes they better get used to it in about ten years right Gleam?” Dusk quietly muttered.

“I’m not speaking to you outside of emergencies,” whispered Gleam. “I still haven’t forgiven you reading my diary!”

Rouge turned to the kids. “Alright tell us everything you know so we can send you off to bed and if we like it enough, we’ll even let you have some milk and cookies.”

“What do you think we’re in, preschool?!” Gleam huffed.

Rouge gritted her teeth. “Why you little…!”

“Eh, better let me do the talking Gleam,” said Lara. “Honestly, I’m not sure how we can help you get inside, we used one of their escape pods to get out and only saw a hallway, the room they locked us in and some sort of computer lab.”

“Why’d would you even go in there?” asked Nicole. “That could have been risky.”

“Well, we heard two of them talking to each other, seems like they’ve been having problems with malfunctions ever since they left home.”

Rouge now raised an eyebrow. “What sort of malfunctions?”

“Uh, Stuff on their suits, sensors, cameras…”

“And they were trying to fix them?”

“Of course, they even had to do this whole big thing they had to set down for a couple of days for a diagnostic.”

“That explains the generous deadline despite them knowing the kids knew where the capsule was,” said Nicole. “They couldn’t leave any sooner.”

“I’m more interested in the fact that their sensors and cameras were off,” said Rouge. “I don’t suppose you saw where the windows on that thing were concentrated?”

“No, no windows at all,” said Sonia. “We managed to get a look at it after leaving the escape pod.”

“So, for right now they’re completely blind,” Rouge turned to the Freedom Fighters. “I think we should agree to their demands.”

“Strange I thought you’d take the more pragmatic approach,” said Antione. “If that capsule can prevent the conquest and enslavement of billions in the future, I’d have thought you’d argue we shouldn’t give it up to save a few children. I was even going to give this speech about not knowing what the parents would feel.”

Manik sighed but then stayed quiet. “Sadly, you’ll all find out for yourselves eventually.”

“That’s the beauty of it my canine cavalier,” said Rouge. “Once the trade is made, they won’t have it an hour before I steal it back.”

“And how are you going to pull that off sugah-bat”? asked Bunnie.

“I’m glad you asked, ok everyone pay attention. Yes, we’ll exchange the capsule for the hostages like the rectifiers demanded, but what they won’t know is that what looks like capitulation is actually a diversion. While their attention is focused on the transfer a team consisting of Shadow, Sonic, Silver Gold and myself will sneak aboard the base. There should be more than one way in, even if the second isn’t meant to be one, and with their equipment malfunctioning this is the best time to do it. Once the hostages are free, we’ll just take the capsule, the emerald and the evidence that Sonic was not responsible.”

“It won’t work,” said Gold. “They have at least one rectifier who’s telepathic, if she’s there she can read their minds and your cover’s blown the moment the exchange begins.”

“So,” said Shadow. “Who has to make the exchange?”

“According to Lucian it was our choice,” said Amy.

“Then I shall make the handoff,” said Omega. “As a non-organic my mind cannot be read and if problems arise that will be the location with the highest probability for combat.”

“You can’t do this alone,” said Tails.

“Not a problem,” Rouge giggled. “You have a few people here with fighting experience who haven’t been let in on the full situation, just have them help Omega and mind reading won’t get the enemy to learn anything since the targets won’t know there’s more going on than a prisoner exchange.”

“I’m not sure I like this,” said Sally. “Even putting aside lying to our friends you’ll still have no idea what’s waiting for you in there.”

“When has that ever stopped us before?” Sonic said with a thumbs up. “Don’t worry during my recent zone hopping adventure I picked up a trick from the me that was a split personality to a kid named Nikki Parlouzer. We had to get Nikki and the Sonic in him to work as a team to save his little sister Tiana, after that they taught me how if I focus on my attunement to chaos energy it’ll will make me sneeze if danger is coming. Weird and I’m still getting used to getting in the right mindset, but it really comes in handy.”

Sally sighed. “Alright, but we’ll need some way to get you in there without much notice.”

“Standard GUN procedure calls for a high altitude drop for infiltrations like this,” said Shadow. “I don’t suppose you have an aircraft capable of doing so for a team of five?”

“Construction of the Sky Patrol 2 is complete,” said Rotor. “But it’s back in Freedom City and we haven’t even had the time to give her a proper shakedown run.”

“Tails take this,” Sonic tossed the two tailed fox a power ring. “That should supe up the Tornado enough for you and Twan to get back to Freedom City and bring the SP2 in time for the mission.”

Tails sighed. “So much for you two using it to go off on your honeymoon.”

“Look at it this way,” Sally said. “A small delay will help a lot of people,” then she began running her finger up and down Sonic’s chest while giving him a sultry look. “And afterward we can move on to me finally showing you my royal birthmark before we have real fun…without…any…distractions.”

Sonic looked back as the bride and groom both looked flushed. “As if I wasn’t motivated enough to clear my name and save a bunch of folks.”

Sonia and Manik turned beet red before the former began muttering to herself. “I didn’t think it was possible but they’re embarrassing us before we’re even born.”


The Present

“So, you can see I’d REALLY like to help you so we can end through this interview and I can back to my wife…”

“If she waited this long the princess can be patient until we get to the bottom of this kerfuffle,” said Mr. Sharp.

“Look it wasn’t a total loss, we managed to do a lot of good. It’s just that stuff happened.”

“And it happened because you couldn’t keep your own people under control!”

Sonic stared Sharp back intensely. “I wasn’t trying to control them, they asked to deviate a bit and I trusted that it was for a good reason. I’ll own up to making a bad call, but I think I made the best one when all of them were going to be bad one way or another.”

“Then maybe you shouldn’t have been given that leadership position given a comparative lack of education.”


“I’m not stupid, Ms. Pierce!” Rouge called back. “Most Mobians in my generation might not have spent a lot of time in the classroom with either fighting a brutal regime or just trying to survive in its shadow but we’d been cramming like hell to make up for it! The streets were a brutal teacher and I think for a spoiled little six-year-old thrown into those lessons I did rather well, so don’t lay the operation going wrong on a lack of traditional schooling!”

“It’s not your intelligence I’m doubting agent Rouge,” said Pierce. “Some of the most foolish people I’ve met have multiple degrees, it’s your judgment in this matter that’s in question.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“According to your file you learned something quite surprising about yourself in the last couple of months. After years of being dormant you found out you yourself are an adept then you went to agent Shadow for training in your new powers. I think you were hoping for a fight, you wanted an excuse to show off your new abilities to the Freedom Fighters, perhaps rub it in the faces of Sonic and the like that you can play in the big leagues like them.”

“You think I’m that unprofessional? My ‘Black Wave’ is just another tool in my thieving kit, was I excited when learned I had that power? Of course, who wouldn’t be? But the main reason I asked Shadow for training wasn’t so I could slap around chumps with it. I’m happy I found out I’m an adept because it gave me something new to share with Shadow, a glimpse into his world.”

“And it made me realize that I don’t have to be afraid of growing old anymore because I’ll have him to grow old with me.” She thought to herself.

“Then perhaps it’s not your judgement that should be questioned, maybe it’s agent Shadow’s.”


“My judgement?” said Shadow.

“Agent Rouge may have come up with the plan but you’re the field commander, so you had the final say on if your team followed it,” said Mr. Hammer. “We’re aware that you two have gotten, closer in these past three months. Perhaps that created a blind spot as far as your reason goes, maybe best course of action is to separate you two as far your work is concerned if you can’t remain objective.”

Shadow clenched his fist as yellow electricity crackled over it. “The fact we became soultouched has nothing to do with my decision. Rouge earned my trust long before that, sure she still can get distracted by a shiny bauble every now and then but never, NEVER when lives depend on it. I took every possible consideration when it came to this mission and made the call that her plan had the best chance of success.”

“So, you’re admitting that you were the one who screwed up?”

Shadow unclenched his fist. “Yes, it was my mistake. But it was also Rouge, Omega, Sonic, Sally and everyone who made that same mistake, one we all should have seen coming.”

“Just what are you saying?”

“A few things went wrong, but the first thing that did we could have prevented. On Team Dark’s part it was because I thought it would only amount to an annoyance, but for the Freedom Fighters they should have seen it coming given their own history.”


12 hours ago

Shadow looked into the Sky Patrol 2’s lounge, he said nothing seeing Vector, Mighty, Ray, Cream and Cheese, Marine, Geoffrey, Hershey and Mina stand next to Omega. He moved off into the hanger and he looked at the five children he met last night. “Was it really necessary for the rugrats to be in here? You insisted they be here to meet the freed hostages but the very least you could have done was keep them somewhere out of the way until we’ve done our job.”

“Is it really necessary for you to treat us like babies?” muttered Gleam before thinking to herself. “You never doubted my ability when you knew I was your daughter.”

“Just making sure they don’t accidently spill the beans to the rescue team,” said Sally. “This is where we’ll have the most room for the hostages once we have them and seeing some familiar faces should help set them at ease after that ordeal.”

“Fine then,” Shadow turned to Rouge as he put on a red lensed version of Rouge’s “treasure scope”. “Go over the plan once more.”

“We’ll be dropping a bit of a distance from the objective,” said Rouge as she put her own scope on. “The Sky Patrol will land in a slow convincing manner giving us time to approach and ID an alternative entrance. Shadow and Sonic will search for this imposter while Gold, Silver and I locate this computer room we were told about and use it to find where they’ll store their stolen property, info clearing Sonic and whatever else we can glean. They should know enough about this future tech to be useful. Meanwhile the scopes should get us to locate the emerald.”

“What about the kids?” asked Sonic as he finished fastening his parachute. “If those creeps go back on their word…”

“We’ll try to locate the hostages and get them out in that case. Try to stay out of sight wherever possible and work quickly, try to be in and out.”

“Shouldn’t be a problem then, quickly is the only way I know to do this stuff. Still, it’s too bad Knux had to leave because of a sudden emergency on Angel Island.”

“Remember Sonic,” said Gold. “While the rectifiers might be holding back for most of us you have the potential to keep their timeline from existing, that puts a target on your back so don’t engage them directly.”

“We are almost near ze drop point,” Antione said over the PA. “Opening ze hangar door.”

The door opened to the badlands near Sand Blast City.

“We jump on my mark,” said Shadow. “Ready…”

The next moment Lara leapt out of the hangar and began to glide down to the ground.

“Shoot!” Shadow shout. “Go!”

The team jumped out of the Sky Patrol, Rouge glided down and after a proper distance Sonic and Shadow pulled the ripcord as Silver and Gold used their levitation to slow their decent. On hitting the ground Gold came up to Lara.

“What did I say to you about leaving this to the grown-ups?!”

“I have to do this!” said Lara. “It’s my fault my friends are in this mess, I can’t just do nothing!”

“The best chance to help them was for us to follow the plan!” Rouge growled. “We can’t operate to the best of our ability if have to add babysitting you on top of that! Now go find somewhere to hide and…”

“She’s not going to stay put,” said Sonic. “We just saw her glide like Knuckles can, that means she’s a chaos adept like us. If she has power and wants to help her friends nothing is going to stop her from doing it, I’m speaking from experience here.”

“Fine, we’ll look after her,” said Shadow. “But we can’t delay any longer, everyone double time!”


Present

Mr. Hammer glared at Shadow. “So, you’re blaming all of this on a little girl?”

“Like I said I thought the most she’d amount to would be an annoyance,” said Shadow. “Do I think the Freedom Fighters should have locked those kids in a room until the mission was complete? Absolutely, but as much of a handicap as she was the kid helped, a little. Besides, she only compounded the problems that sprung up later.”


“Our operatives went off mission because of you,” said Mr. Sharp. “Because you wanted to indulge a request outside your initial stated goals and that cost you what advantage you had!”

“Listen pal,” said Sonic. “After what we went through these past few months it seemed extremely important not only for Silver and Gold, not only for our overarching goal, but for the very goals you say I went outside of. There was no way to tell what was going to happen, we adapted to the situation so as far as I see it, no harm, no foul.”

“Tell that to Omega, they should be getting done putting him back together right about now.”

Sonic sighed. “I’m sorry he got busted up, but if Silver and Gold didn’t do what they did it would have cost that woman her life.”


Eleven hours, fifty-five minutes ago

The team moved forward until Shadow signaled them to hide behind a small outcropping of rocks, up ahead was a sleek black ship that looked was about twice the size of the Sky Patrol 2 and just radiated dread. A pair of rectifiers, a bee and a vixen, were standing guard by a catwalk leading up into the ship.

“See that landing gear?” Rouge said pointing to the nearest of the large struts keeping the ship off the ground. “That’s our way in, we just have to wait until the rescue team lands then that’s our cue to climb aboard.”

The sky patrol began landing as Alpha two walked out along with a cat, a swallow-tailed bird, a flying squirrel and a hedgehog that was levitating off the ground.

“No sign of the telepath,” said Gold. “Either she’s watching from inside the ship or one of these others might be able to fill in for her.”

Omega’s team came down the Sky Patrol’s ramp, the robot held out the capsule. “We have obtained the item; delivery will be completed upon release of the hostages.”

“First we have to see if it’s genuine,” said the chipmunk before turning to the bird. “Scan it.”

The rectifier looked at the capsule then tapped his helmet before it flashed red. “Another glitch, scan’s going a lot slower than it should normally. It’ll take thirty minutes.”

“Not unless you prove the kids are safe,” hissed Vector.

“We already gave you five,” said Alpha two. “That’s more than enough good faith on our part.”

“Please,” said Cream. “Their parents must be worried sick.”

Omega noted the rescue team climbing up the landing gear.

Geoffrey then came forward. “Maybe you can release a couple in exchange for help with your ship? I know my way around a computer.”

“The information on our systems is classified, besides our tech’s a bit too much on the advanced side for you.”

Marine sat down on a rock. “Strewth. I don’t suppose would it be too much for you guys to let me go back on our ship to get a magazine?”


On one of the ship corridors a floor panel was lifted as Lara looked around. “Cost is clear.”

The team climbed out as Rouge tapped her scope. “I’m picking up the emerald,” she then turned to Gold. “This should also be the same deck the computer room and that hostages are. Can you use your mind reading to confirm that?”

“I better keep it brief,” said Gold. She closed her eyes as her forehead mark glowed. “Yes, I’m picking the kids up, they aren’t far. But there’s another presence, it feels like…” The glow stopped as she turned to Sliver. “IT’S DOCTOR L, SHE’S ALIVE!”

“Doctor L?!” said Silver. “Where?! How?!”

“Why don’t you two tell the whole ship we’re here?!” Shadow menacingly whispered.

“I’m sorry,” said Gold. “But you have no idea how big this is, we have to rescue her.”

“But what about my friends?!” said Lara. “We came to save them!”

“And we will,” said Silver. “But you want to figure out what’s in that capsule as badly as we do, saving Doctor L is our best shot at doing that. She kept Red Knight working for years, if he sent that capsule, she’d know what we have to do to get it working again.”

“Then why wasn’t she with the other prisoners?” said Rouge. “This could be a trap.”

“For us specifically?” said Gold. “I doubt it.”

“Then that’s it,” said Sonic. “We’re saving everybody.”

“Fine,” said Rouge. “But try to keep as low a profile as possible, remember we want those kids to stay put until Omega can finish making the exchange. Our job is to get the capsule back once that’s done or to act as double cross insurance.”

“Shadow and I will keep an eye on Maril while we find my lookalike,” said Sonic. “Rouge you take Silver and Gold then find this Doctor L.”

“Maintain radio silence and keep an eye on the clock we have about twenty-five minutes before the exchange should be complete,” said Shadow.

“I think we were being held this way,” said Lara.

“You’re right but I sensed Doctor L in the other direction,” said Gold.

“The emerald is on the opposite side of the ship,” said Shadow. “We’ll rendezvous there, if we have to make an escape try to make it back here.”

“In that case let’s do it to it!” Sonic said as he gave a thumbs up.

After splitting Sonic stopped his group near a door. “Strange it’s marked ‘GARDEN’, why grow plants in a warship?”

He opened the door and found instead of plants several glass tubes. Most were empty, but some had a clear blue liquid where a rectifier floated held up by a set of wires.

“This is really creepy,” said Lara. “You don’t think they see us, do you? Or maybe that they’re growing these guys in here and that’s why they call it a garden?”

“No,” said Shadow. “It’s more like another technology Professor invented than the tank he used to grow me. There was a prototype on the ARK like this that was supposed to accelerate the body’s natural healing process. I think they’re unconscious, a side effect of these pods.”

Lara came up to one rectifier. “Wait this was the tenrec Miss Gold said was a telepath.”

Shadow took a closer look at two of the rectifiers, a cat and a skunk. “And these are two of the same guys who attacked E.R.A.”

“Then that must mean…” Sonic looked at another pod and saw a hedgehog inside with broken helmet and a face like his. “Winner, winner, chili dog dinner. Take a picture of me with this handsome devil.”

Shadow took out his G.U.N pad and a second later the flash under a small camera in the corner went off. “Good, that should hopefully be enough evidence to satisfy my superiors. Let’s go find that Chaos Emerald.”

“Uh Mr. Sonic, Mr. Shadow,” said Lara. “The hole in his helmet is getting smaller.”

Shadow growled as the hole began sealing itself. “Either this armor is made of nanites or it’s similar enough to skin and muscle that it can be healed like its wearer’s body in this thing.”

“Either way we better not stick around for these guys to wake up,” said Sonic.

They left the room, not noticing Sonic sniffled or that his double’s hand start to twitch as once helmet sealed itself.


“Doctor L should be behind this next door,” said Gold as they rounded a corner.

Rogue came to the door and read the sign next to it. “’Cerebral Interrogation’? That doesn’t sound good at all.”

“All the more reason to get her out of there!” Silver said as he opened the door.

Inside an old human woman with glasses and grey hair in a bun was strapped to standing table while her head was attached to a device hooked into the ceiling. The woman gritted her teeth in pain with a clear nosebleed.

“Doctor L!” Gold shouted. “It’s us, we’re here to save you!”

“Gold, Silver…” the doctor grunted. “…you two are idiots!”

“Wow,” Rouge huffed. “Such gratitude, no wonder you want her back so much.”

“If you’re here than that means The Rectifiers tracked down Red Knight’s data capsule, you have to get it before they do!”

“Way ahead of you Doc,” said Silver. “After we use it to save a bunch of hostages, we’ll swipe it right back.”

“Forget the hostages, take the capsule and get out of here!”

“Doctor L, please!” said Gold. “They’re only children!”

“Blast it, Mogul taught you guys how to use your powers responsibly, Edmund taught you to use them smartly but even knowing you were dealing with time they never taught you to think fourth dimensionally! Use the data and stop the Imperium; no Imperium, no rectifiers, no rectifiers and the hostages never get kidnapped! As long as they’re in their native timeframe they won’t notice when the changes happen!”

“Listen lady,” said Rouge. “The exchange is already going on, unless we wait and try to take it after that’s over our friends will be met with a face full of laser!”

{Doctor L,} Gold said through telepathy. {The Rectifiers brought the hostages back twenty years from their own time. They’d still be stranded in the past.}

Doctor L groaned. “Great, that complicates things. Alright you three go back out there, do what you got to do to get the capsule and anything else you’re after away from The Rectifiers, then you can come and save my sorry ass.”

“We’re here now!” said Silver. “We just have to unhook you…”

“Ok let me paint it by numbers for you! The Imperium uses this device to extract information directly from a prisoner’s brain, but thanks to years spent in study and concentration I managed a way to turn it around on ‘em. While they are downloading info from me, I’ve been hacking into them. I figured out a few of their systems except what they classified; I’ve probably messed up their operations more than anyone in nearly two hundred years of The Rectifiers’ existence. Unplug me and not only does that all go away once they reboot the system, but you’ll immediately set off every alarm on the ship!”

“And we lose the one edge we have, I see your point,” said Rouge. “Ok the exchange should be complete in about twenty minutes; how long do you think you can keep this up?”

“Depends, how well do I look?”

Gold winced at the obvious pain L was in. “Not good at all.”

“Like death huh? Then get going, I probably won’t last that long at this rate. As much as I like not dying you need that capsule more than this sorry old bag.”

“The capsule is useless without you!” said Silver. “Whatever happened to it in the timestream it’s severely damaged, without your knowhow we might not be able to get the info off it at all!”

Doctor L gave a dry laugh. “So, the universe is that determined to be a pain in my wrinkly old ass today! Alright use the panel over there to shut this thing off, all these complications are starting to make me wish Von Schlemmer didn’t have to blow himself up a month ago to safeguard that video file that led you to this time just so he could be here instead of me.”

Rouge worked the panel and after pressing a few buttons the helmet and manacles let go of the elderly human woman, a second later red lights began flashing as klaxons bleared.

“Intruder alert, intruder alert!” said a computerized voice. “Unauthorized systems access detected!”

Suddenly a bat and a female hedgehog rectifier came into the room. Each drawing a staff and some darts.

“Great these guys again!” said Silver as Gold picked up Doctor L. “I don’t suppose you have another stun gun you can reintroduce them to?”

Doctor L laughed dryly. “Sorry, left my backup in my other lab coat.”

“Prepare to rectify!”


The Present

“So, it was your fault,” said Ms. Pierce.

“Haven’t you been paying attention?” said Rouge. “Without Dr. L’s help we’d be missing out on vital intel and if we didn’t act then she might not have made it out alive!”

“Then why haven’t you included that intel in your report?”

Rouge sighed. “Turns out using your brain to hack a super advanced battleship while it’s being probed takes a lot out of you, she’s still recovering in the hospital.”

“That still doesn’t explain everything, something not going to plan is to be expected in our line of work.”

Rouge slumped over the table. “If it was just one thing, we could have adapted but that was just the first domino. Not only that we seriously underestimated just how strong the enemy was.”

“Alright then, let’s get to the part where our three top operatives got beaten like fresh recruits on the first day of boot camp.”


Eleven hours thirty-five minutes ago

Outside the ship Alpha two was keeping an eye on the swallow tail when the computer spoke through their helmets.

“Intruder alert, intruder alert! Unauthorized systems access detected!”

“Deal’s off!” said Alpha two. “All units take no chances, destroy the device!”

The bird rectifier charged his wrist laser only for the capsule to vanish from Omega’s hand after Mina snagged it away at high speed.

“I don’t know what’s going on but if you’re willing to break it rather than not have it then we’ll just make sure it sticks around until all those kids are safe and sound!”

On the Sky Patrol’s bridge Sally bolted up from her seat. “Guys I’m going out to support the rescue team. Tails, Rotor offer fire support; Bunnie, Twan prep the SP2 for takeoff! Blaze go down to the hangar to prepare to repel borders and make sure those kids stay put!”

Outside Omega exposed all his weapons. “Negotiations have failed, excellent!”

The robot fired only for the cat to step in up to the barrage, however once the smoke cleared the rectifier was still standing without so much as a scratch.

“Nice try toaster, but I’m invulnerable!”

The bird, bee and flying squirrel went airborne, Cream and Cheese gave chase while Marine shot water from the ground. “You guys need to cool off!”

“Rrrgh!” The vixen rectifier leapt towards Geoffrey and Hershey, the two dodged as her fist left a small crater in the ground where her punch landed.

“Careful luv!” said Geoffrey. “These guys aren’t messing around!”

“Mighty we could use your strength to match hers right about now!” said Hershey.

Mighty ducked so that aura covered sword would bounce off his shell before it made a midair U-turn. “This guy has got me a little preoccupied at the moment!” He grunted as the hedgehog levitated the sword into its next attack. “I have to keep my back turned to him or he’ll make me a psychic shish kabob!”

“I’m on it!” Vector said as he ran up to the rectifier. The hedgehog just took a moment to turn an use his PK to grab Vector before throwing him at Mighty sending the two sprawling in a heap.

The sky patrol’s guns kept the rectifiers moving as Mina was being chased by Alpha two who moved with incredible speed.

“Hand it over! You can’t hope to outrun me!”

“Not without those kids!”

“Mina hand it to me!” Sally said as she came out of the Sky Patrol.

The mongoose passed the capsule. “I’ll see if I can help out the others!”

Alpha two came forward slowly. “Princess Sally Alicia Acorn. I should have known you’d try out something crafty like this, I’m betting you somehow figured out what’s in that capsule.”

“No but I was told who you people are,” said Sally. “For someone coming back from the future your timing’s lousy, this derailed me and Sonic’s honeymoon plans, so you put me in a bad mood.”

“You think whatever data you hope to recover will stop us from bringing order to this galaxy? I think I’ll slow down a bit just to savor proving how outmatched you are.”

Sally activated her ring blades. “However, you got them it’s clear they added Sonic’s speed to my tactical prowess. I’m betting that whatever part of me in is in you is already telling you that this is wrong.”

“You’d never understand,” Alpha two flashed a pair of blue rings on her wrists which sparked energy forming a sword in her right hand and a shield in her left. “But feel free to see the ring-based weaponry your blades inspired and how strong it has gotten after two hundred years of development!”

Sally and Alpha two clashed, while the princess held her own, she couldn’t so much a scratch her opponent. Suddenly Omega stepped in unloading his gatling guns. “Switching priority to damageable target, enjoyment factor increased 100%.”

“Enjoy this!” Alpha one used her speed to avoid the shots then cut off Omega’s left arm, right arm, then cut him in half at the waist before going back to Sally.

“Loss of 50% of arsenal, targeting ability reduced significantly, get back here so I can leak oil on you!”

“Sonic,” Sally thought to herself. “I hope you guys are doing a lot better in there, because I’m not sure we can hold these guys off!”


Sonic, Shadow and Lara-Su continued down the corridor. “We should reach where your friends are being kept before we get to where the Chaos Emerald is,” said Shadow. “We may have to find an alternate route.”

Lara shot Shadow a worried look. “Can’t we at least tell them that help is here?”

Before Shadow could answer alarms started going off. “Intruder alert, intruder alert! Unauthorized systems access detected!”

Shadow growled. “Something must have gone wrong on Rouge’s end!”

“Then we better get those kids out of here!” said Sonic.

“My mission is to retrieve the emerald!” said Shadow. “We can’t afford to split up now!”

“Those kids are closer; people’s lives are at stake!”

“I’m afraid you won’t be able to do either,” said the Hedgehog rectifier who was in the tube earlier as he strutted up to them. “I’m impressed you managed to find your way aboard The Mourning Star, but that’s going to prove to be the worst mistake of your lives.”

“Maril,” Sonic said to Lara. “Get to your friends and stay with them, we’ll handle this creep.”

Lara seemed to want to say something but then took one look at the rectifier before nodding and running off.

“You should take your own advice,” said the rectifier. “You can’t hope to beat me.”

“Then why did your boss use you try to frame me instead of sending you to kill me like last time faker number six hundred and something?”

“My designation is Alpha one, the other one seeing my face was purely by chance. As to anyone going back to kill you, I was not made aware of any mission like that. I guess I better subdue you until I can confirm such an operation with the Superior Council.”

“Not happening,” said Shadow. “I held my own in a one on one, Sonic will probably but in regardless of if I need him or not, so you have no chance now that you face two of the strongest beings on the planet.”

Alpha one growled. “I’m going to prove just how wrong you are!”

Alpha one’s chest plate opened to reveal a chrome device attached to his skin before he used his fist to push down the button on its surface. A computerized voice spoke out from his suit.

“Engaging Mode R.”

In only a second a light from the device swept over the rectifier causing him to take on a completely metallic appearance as the chest plate closed.

“Did that guy just roboticize himself?!” said Shadow.

“Oh, Mode R is much more that outdated tech!” said Alpha one. “It is the ultimate fusion of organic and synthetic!”

Alpha one began moving so fast that Sonic and Shadow began speeding through the corridor just to keep up. They both tried to attack only to have them be shrugged off and sent hurtling to the ground with each counterattack. “Man, if these creeps can just turn on a super form with the push of a button, I don’t know how we can beat them!”


The bat rectifier tossed his darts into the Cerebral Interrogation room. Silver used his PK to stop them midair then pulled the staff out of the other rectifier’s hands before crumpling them all into big metal ball. “Why didn’t I think of doing this back then?” said Silver. He then threw the ball at the rectifiers. “Not so tough without your toys, are you?!”

The female hedgehog suddenly materialized a glaive and cut the ball cleanly in two.

“They have magic too?!” said Gold. “Why didn’t she use that before?!”

“You’re surprised that the Imperium wouldn’t use every possible tool at their disposal?” croaked Doctor L.

“Well, I have some tricks up my sleeve too!” said Rouge before spreading her hand forward. “BLACK WAVE!”

As black rings spread out from Rouge the bat rectifier then spread his hand as he stepped in its path.

“BLACK WAVE!”

He launched an identical attack that met Rouge’s and the resulting blast she her and her team hurtling towards the back wall.

“So, they copied me too,” grumbled Rouge as she got up. “I’m actually flattered.”

Blast the wall!” said Silver. “We have to get out of here!”

Rouge used another black wave to blast a hole back to the hallway and ran down only to get stopped by three echidna rectifiers. There was the burly one Gold and Silver had encountered before, one of a more modest build who was holding some odd device, but Silver’s eyes were firmly locked on the female who was leading them.

“It’s you,” Silver snarled. “You’re one who killed Edmund!”

“No,” groaned Dr. L. “He was beaten, but still alive when they brought me onboard.”

“Oh him,” said Alpha three. “Once the lady here was taken away, I followed Superior Prime’s orders and finished what I started.”

Silver formed a blade of psychic force between his hands. “MURDERER!”


Present

“So, the guy wiped the floor with ya,” said Agent Sharp. 

“It actually wasn’t that different from when I fought Super Scourge,” said Sonic. “He was just a bit more tactical in our thrashing and the restraint to slam us into the wall instead through it.”

“Didn’t expect these guys to have that sort of power. I’m surprised you made it back alive, considering their big boss supposedly tried to rub you out once.”

Sonic sighed. “As much as they turned out to handicap us when it came to the emerald, we wouldn’t have made it without Maril-In and her friends.”


11 hours thirty-three minutes ago

Lara ran down the hallway until she found the door the remembered falling out of. She found the keypad that kept it locked nearby. “Ok, need a four-digit code but no techie to help or any idea of what it is. I’m not strong enough to punch through it yet so what would the Chaotix do in my position if the door couldn’t be busted and Mom or Espio wasn’t around to hack it?”

Lara then began pushing buttons. “1-1-1-1.” The panel buzzed with a red light. “Ok, 1-1-1-2.” Another buzz. “1-1-1-3?” A third buzz. “Ah who am I kidding?! This is like something Vector would come up with and he’s nowhere near a tech savvy as Argyle. I feel like my Dad right now, as smart as he is daddy spent so long shunning technology he can’t figure out the tv remote half the time!”

“Chao!”

Lara looked up and saw a vent was punched out of the wall and a chao with a green bandana around its neck peeking out. “Pull, boy am I glad to see you! Taffy asked you find a way out for the others, right? Before we take them out mind pulling me up and in so I can talk with everyone?”

“Chao.”

A moment later Lara found herself on the other side of the wall.

“LARA!” Kneecaps shouted. “You’re ok! Did you bring help?!”

Lara cleared her throat. “Sonic and a lot of our parents are trying to get all of us out of here.”

“See kids,” said Rora. “Things will turn out alright, the Freedom Fighters will get us out of this then we can all go home.”

As everyone cheered Lara looked down. “Actually, there’s something important you all have to know first.”

Everyone turned to Lara’s direction. “What do you mean?” asked Argyle.

“These guys, The Rectifiers, they really did come from the future. But after they captured us, they took all to the past.”

“Just how far in the past are we talking?” asked Rutan.

“Me, Sonia, Manik, Dusk and Gleam…we saw Sonic and Sally at their wedding.”

Everyone gasped.

“But that was like, twenty years ago,” said Aleena.

Eddie looked shocked. “I-if that’s true then somewhere in the world right now Mom’s pregnant with me!” He turned to Alexis, Kneecaps, Enerjak and Aurora. “You guys are all still in diapers!” He turned again to Skye and Taffy. “And your grandmother Vanilla is probably pregnant your uncle Feels but doesn’t even know it yet!”

Jackie looked uneasy like the rest of the camp counselors but after looking at the kids gave a resolute nod. “Look this bucket took us away from home, it can get us back.”

“Like that’s going to happen!” said Grace. “We’re sorry we tried to escape Mr. Rectifier.” She said in a sarcastic tone. “But can you pretty please with marshmallows take us back to our own time anyway? GET REAL!”

“Then we make it happen sis!” yelled Brawn. “I say we go out there and take this ship back home ourselves!”

“But those guys look so scary…,” said Ian.

“I’m with Brawn!” said Cocoa. “We have to at least try at least!”

“Right now, the Freedom Fighters are fighting them,” said Lara. “But even they’re having a tough time and here they’re all in their prime. I was told to just come here and hide.”

“Then maybe we should do that,” said Aura.

“And if they can’t win?” growled Ace. “What then?”

“That’s why we gotta help ‘em!” said Belle.

“But if they can’t beat these bullies, what chance do we have?” cried Candy.

“Nothing’s going to happen if we just stay here!” said Jacques.

“Think rationally,” said Alan. “All of us would just get in the way!”

“So, you’re saying we should just give up?!” said Salma.

“Maybe we should think of plan first,” said Gasket.

Soar fidgeted. “But we’re running out of time!”

Ajax pounded his fist into his hand. “I say we go out and hit something!”

“Let’s sneak our way to where they steer the ship!” said Juanita.

“This reminds me of a story,” said Slim.

“Newsflash skinny cat!” growled Gale. “Nobody cares!”

“Let’s just get off the ship and find another way home!” shouted Mellow.

“But how do we keep from getting caught?!” said Tide.

“I wish the others were still here,” said Taffy.

“Yeah, Sonia would know what to do,” said Skye.

“Forget it,” said Melody. “She’d be just as lost as the rest of us, like how she thought we all were only sent to camp because of when we all got kidnapped five years ago.”

“Don’t you mean fifteen years from now?” said Argyle.

“As if time travel hasn’t screwed my family tree up enough!” moaned Aleena.

Pretty soon all the kids descended into an argument where everyone was talking but nobody was listening.

“STOP IT!”

Everyone quieted down and turned to Alexis who was softly sobbing.

“Sonia wasn’t wrong, not completely. Your parents did arrange for this group to be at Camp Great Oak, but it wasn’t because you were kidnapped, if anything you were kidnapped in part because of the reason you all ended up here.”

Alexis sat down bringing her knees to her chin. “Soon after each of you were born your parents noticed something different about you, you all managed to connect with each other when you were each less than a year old when you normally would have to be a year and a half before even recognizing others could have thoughts different than you. You played with each other at an age we expected you to only play NEXT to each other. As you grew and more came around the older kids didn’t mind, you just made friendship look so easy without even knowing what the word meant. Your parents all thought it meant all of you were going to do something incredibly special together.

“Then five years ago you were taken away, all those horrible things happened to you because of a monster’s insatiable need to understand chaos energy. But when they got you back, it was like something was broken. Even as you began to heal you all began drifting further and further apart. As the years passed those early bonds just weakened to point where that great big friendship broke into ever shrinking groups. They hoped beyond hope that by getting the chance to form bonds as they did it would bring back that special connection you all had, but instead if anything you drifted apart more, maybe that connection is never coming back.

Alexis let a few tears fall to the deck. “And if he broke it beyond repair, I guess Synaptix won in the end after all.”

“S-synaptix?” Lara muttered to herself. “No, no he can’t.”

Jani-ca knelt unseen at Lara’s side. “Lara, what happened to you? What are you hiding from yourself?”

It was all clear in her mind, Lara was just a five-year-old frozen in terror as a large centipede like creature with three eyes, the left one looking scared, loomed before her with a metallic left claw. But what got her attention was the five-year-old white hedgehog girl in his right claw.

“Run Lara!” the much younger Gleam shouted. “Run before he gets you too!”

But Lara’s feet wouldn’t move as the creature’s metal claw came towards her. She was scooped up as the monster looked at his prize as he laughed with a mouth full of razor-sharp teeth. “So many wonderful little test subjects! I’m going to have so much fun using you to learn the secrets of the Chaos Force!”

“No, never again,” Lara said snaping herself to the present, past, she didn’t care. “All my friends were hurt; Gleam was hurt so bad that she went away and came back so different. I just pushed it down, tried to bury it all, but those memories of the other timelines brought back that horrible time too. I remember my friends being hurt; I remember that I promised myself. I promised…”

Lara looked up determined. “I PROMISED THAT I WOULD GROW UP TO BE A GUARDIAN SO MY FRIENDS WOULD NEVER BE HURT LIKE THAT EVER AGAIN!”

“Lara,” said Jani before smiling. “You have more reason to be a guardian than any version of us and that’s going to push you and your friends to be even greater than in any timeline that came before.”

“I don’t know if that special bond we had can ever come back, but I’m not giving up on it! We’re getting out of here, all of us! Our parents are out there fighting to save us, but they’re going to need all the help they can get. The future needs to be saved, but I can’t do it alone. I that’s why I need the Future Freedom Fighters.”

“Of course,” said Argyle. “We’ll get back with Manik and Sonia…”

“I don’t just mean those I asked to join earlier, I also mean Dusk, Gleam and the rest of us kids here!”

“You’re serious?!” said Flare. “Us, Freedom Fighters?!”

“It does sound like quite the adventure,” said Astral. “But we all saw how strong those guys are.”

“Our parents beat the odds so many times before, yeah we’re not them, but they’ve shown it CAN be done. So, who’s with me?!”

All the children who only a couple of moments ago were bickering in a panic had all thrown a fist up into the air.

“Hey, hey, ho!”

Alan turned to the counselors. “Can I barrow one of your cell phones? If crawl through the vent with it, I should be able to use it to hack the lock of this door. It’ll much faster than all of us heading out one at a time.

“They were right,” said Kneecaps as Rora gave her phone to Alan. “These kids are going to do something amazing someday. Alright, let’s help them all get out of this lousy room and keep an eye on ‘em until everyone’s safe and sound.”

His fellow counselors all gave a thumbs up. “Roger that!”


Sonic was thrown for a loop by Alpha one and unexpectedly collided with Silver as he was thrown back by an electrified punch.

“Fancy meeting you here,” said Sonic as Shadow was knocked into Rouge as Gold did her best to keep Doctor L from getting hurt.

“Won’t lie, this was exactly the situation we were trying to avoid.”

“You’re wrong, it’s worse than that.”

One super powered rectifier came from one direction while a squad of five came in from the other. “Alpha one!” said the female echidna leading the group. “Use of Mode R hasn’t been authorized for this mission! Disengage!”

“I can still take them!”

“The limbic regulators are still offline, it’s messing with all our judgements, disengage!”

“But I can…!”

A tone came from Alpha one’s suit. “Warning: previous regeneration cycle incomplete. Approaching operational limit, disengaging Mode R.”

The metallic sheen began to fade off Alpha one. “You’re both lucky you interrupted my beauty sleep, not that it’ll save you from all of us.”

“Dream on,” said Sonic. “It’s five on five now.”

“Given they’re rectifiers that means we’re outnumbered by at least two to one!” said Gold.

“Sonic!” everyone turned to behind the rectifier squad to see all the hostages crowding the hallway.

“Maril what are you all doing?!” said Sonic. “You all have to juice now!”

“Maril?” said Aleena. “Juice?”

“I’ll explain later,” said Lara. “But he meant fade when he said juice.”

“Oh, I get it, older lingo,” said Salma.

“I can’t be that out of date,” muttered Sonic.

“Not the point, you all have to get out of here!” said Shadow. “This is way out of your league!”

“None of you are leaving,” said Alpha three. “All we have to do is…”

“This is Epsilon two,” said a voice coming from all rectifier suits. “The intrusion into our systems ceased when prisoner 4-4-7 was disconnected from the cerebral interrogator. System reboot is now complete, limbic regulators are coming back online and we just received new orders from Superior Prime. We’re to disengage from combat immediately and proceed with our primary mission after expelling all intruders and releasing all prisoners on board. Marking all subjects for transmat.”

Alpha three turned to the soon to be former hostages. “A word of warning before you even think of crossing us again. As much as you’re told your heart is your most important asset it can also be your very worst enemy. Always treat it like one.”

Everyone who wasn’t a rectifier was then teleported away.


Outside the rectifier base the battle came to a halt when the message came in.

“…Marking all subjects for transmat.”

Alpha two looked at the capsule she had just taken from Sally. “You’re lucky this is all we really wanted. If you’re as smart as everyone says you are princess you and your Freedom Fighters will just stay out of our way, this doesn’t concern your time.”

“It doesn’t matter what time it is,” said Sally with a grunt. “We’ll always stand between tyrants and the people.”

As The Rectifiers began teleporting away Marine shot a blast of water at the data capsule knocking it out of Alpha two’s hand.

“Bullseye!” Shouted Marine.

Sally dived after the device catching it before it hit the ground as the warriors from the future vanished and the rescue team and all the former prisoners appeared. The black mobile base began taking off.

“They still have the Chaos Emerald!” yelled Rouge.

“We’ll have to chase them down after getting everyone aboard,” said Sally. “Make sure to get all of Omega’s parts. Bunnie contact the backup Team Dark had on standby, we’ll need their help to capture that ship.” Sally turned to the counselors. “Bring the kids into the Hanger, the other four are waiting you there.”

“Doctor L here needs medical attention!” said Gold.

“Bring her to sickbay then, Fiona’s waiting to tend to anybody seriously hurt.”

As everyone began to quickly get on board Sonic came up to Sally. “I hate to say it, but I’m sure we wouldn’t have made it if those kids hadn’t all showed right when they did.”

“Come on, lets show those future freaks just what the Sky Patrol is made of!”


On the bridge of the rectifier base alpha two lowered her head as they crossed over into the Great Forest. “I lost the capsule at the last second, if the regulators were working then…”

“The Sky Patrol is following the Mourning Star,” said a rabbit rectifier. “Radar is also showing two large warships heading our way.”

“We’re being hailed,” said a large bird rectifier. “Patching audio through now.”

“This is G.U.N.S. Letter of Gabriel and G.U.N.S. Sword of Michael,” Captain Tower said. “Power down your engines and prepare to be boarded or we’ll be forced to open fire.”

“Are you ok to give orders Alpha one?” asked Alpha two.

The hedgehog simply lowered his head. “Affirmative, the limbic regulator’s working. Prepare twin cyclonic cannons, aim to graze both federation ships. That should send a clear message without risking the timeline.”

“Compliance,” said the rabbit. “Cyclonic cannons are charging, 60% power.


“What are they doing?” asked Antione.

Nicole shuddered. “If these readings are right, we have to warn the federation to steer clear or that weapon is going to vaporize them in a single shot!”


“Twin cyclonic cannons at 100% charge!” the rabbit said.

Alpha one pointed straight ahead. “Fire!”


On the bridge of the Sky Patrol everyone watched as the Mourning Star let loose a pair of giant purple laser blasts between the two carriers. The shot turned the sides white hot as the engines began to produce a few small explosions. The beam continued until it hit a distant mountaintop, a few seconds later the snowcapped peak was gone leaving only giant groove in the peak.

The two G.U.N. ships began to rapidly descend. “The Letter of Gabriel is in good shape to make an emergency landing,” said Nicole. “But if the Sword of Michael stays on its current course it’ll crash right on top of Feral Forest!”

“Get the harpoon cables ready!” yelled Sally. “We aren’t going to let those humans get killed and DEFINITELY aren’t going to let their ship crush Megan’s hometown!”

“Got it!” said Tails. “I’m taking us into range!”

The Sky Patrol 2 flew in close and fired several cables onto the federation ship and began pulling it up enough to allow the ship to steer away from the village an into a safe landing.

“Thanks for the assist Sky Patrol,” said a male voice over the radio. “You really saved our bacon back there.

“The Rectifier Base has vanished from radar,” said Nicole. “We lost them and the Emerald.”

Shadow growled. “Looks like everyone involved in this fiasco gets to live to fight another day.”


 On the Mourning Star a heavily built rectifier that had flipper like feet turned to Alpha one. “Tactical cloak engaged, engines on silent running. They won’t be able to detect us now.”

“We managed to secure the first emerald and powered the chaotic inverter,” said Alpha Three. “Our primary missions today were a success. Overall, it is another victory.”

“But we failed to retrieve the data capsule and for the first time in our existence, we let prisoners escape,” said Alpha one. “A great deal of prisoners. Superior Prime is not going to be pleased when we report this.”


Present day

“That’s pretty much it,” said Sonic.

“Feral Forest is helping rescue our people from those crashes,” said Mr. Sharp. “It’s a miracle nobody was killed.”

“Look I know the thing with Doctor L wasn’t planed but I try to save everybody I possibly can.”


“What about that capsule everyone was after?” said Mr. Hammer.

“The Freedom Fighter brain trust is analyzing it now, but it’s already proving to be more complicated than they expected. They say once Doctor L is well, they could use her help.”


“And the Hostages?” asked Ms. Pierce.

“The Republic managed to secure a small building in Freedom city to use for them to stay in until their parents can be contacted. Silver and Gold seem to be handling that since they already built a rapport with the kids.”


“So, are we done now?” asked Sonic.

Mr. Sharp gathered up his papers. “Thank you for your co-operation, we regret any inconvenience this may have brought you.”

“What about Shadow and Rouge?”

“I have to see what my associates have determined in their debriefings before we can determine Team Dark’s status. We’ll let you know if that information is relevant to Freedom Fighter operations. Have a pleasant evening.”

Sonic walked out of the room followed by Mr. Sharp. Sally, Tails, Rotor, Antione, Bunnie and Nicole were waiting for him.

“How did it go?” asked Tails.

“A lot of hot air leading to a whole lot of nothing,” said Sonic.

Bunnie pointed behind him. “I wouldn’t be so sure about that sugar-hog.”

Shadow and Rouge left a couple of rooms followed by Mr. Hammer and Ms. Pierce. The two humans talked in hushed tones to Mr. Sharp for a bit before he turned to Shadow and Rouge.

“After a full evaluation we have determined that most of the errors in this assignment were either unavoidable or not due to your actions. HQ is going to keep an ear out if these rectifiers show up again.”

“Glad that is settled,” said Shadow. “Now we can get back to Guardian Mountain…”

“No can do, despite being cleared you two and Omega took a bit of a beating. The commander has given you a low-risk assignment to give you a chance to recuperate, here it is.”

Mr. Sharp gave a manila envelope to Rouge who frowned on looking at the contents. “Are you kidding me?! This is babysitting, actual babysitting!”

“It should only be a few days at if that.”

“Doesn’t matter to me,” said Shadow. “Keep an eye on the hostages we freed until their parents come for them. Since they already have a few adults looking after them we might not have to interact with the little imps.”

“But my things are all the way back at HQ!” whined Rouge. “My gem collection, my makeup, my wardrobe…!”

“You can have them shipped, but I wouldn’t bother since you probably won’t be here that long. Farewell agents.”

After the three humans left the Freedom Fighters came up. Sonic crossed his arms. “Well now that that’s over I believe you owe me an apology.”

Shadow sighed. “I supposed attacking you at your wedding reception in front of everyone was a bit much. But I needed to get you motivated to clear yourself.”

“And you didn’t think starting my life of wedded bliss wasn’t motivation enough?”

“Alright you two,” said Sally. “It’s been a long day, the last thing I want to end it with is you getting into another brawl. It’s bad enough I had to postpone our honeymoon.”

“You don’t ‘ave to do that,” said Antione. “Me and Bunnie’s honeymoon was interrupted by the Battle Bird Armada, but we shouldered on afterward. Just because zhese rectifiers are causing problems…”

“It’s because they’re probably after Sonic,” Sally began tearing up. “If we do this, we might let our guard down too much and if we don’t it we’ll be too worried to really enjoy it.”

Sonic sighed. “Sal’s right, it’s just too dangerous right now, but this is just a delay, not a stop. Now that we have that capsule, we can find out how to save Silver’s future for good.”

“The sooner the better,” said Knuckles as he came up with Julie-Su. “That little emergency back home I had to leave for? Three rectifiers, all echidna, were trying to get to the Master Emerald.”

“At first some people were afraid that some former Dark Legion were falling back into bad habits,” said Julie. “But the way they fought it was more like they had a Legionnaire whose cybernetics made him a walking arsenal, a Nocturnus with a lot of muscle and the way the last one fought I would swear she had guardian training.”

“Particularly because she was able to siphon energy from the Emerald into some strange device,” said Knuckles. “After that they just left, Lien-da, Finitivus, Shade and Argo came with us to share their findings with the Acorn Army in case they show up again.”

Sonic clenched his fist. “I think we met them after they left you guys, if they’re using your most sacred treasure as a charging station it can’t be for anything good.”

“There’s just one last thing the team’s going to do before we call it mission accomplished,” said Sally. “I think we should spend a few minutes with those kids, let them know we’re looking for their parents and find out how to contact them. We’re going to ask everyone that got involved in this adventure if they could help out while Silver, Gold and Blaze visit Doctor L in the hospital. Many hands make light work after all.”

“Not a problem,” said Knuckles. “I’m sure we can all spend a few minutes before reporting in and heading back home.”

“Rouge and I may as well go with you to set up our little watch post,” said Shadow.

“And Sonic,” Sally said turning to her new husband. “I had the hotel send the champagne and rose petals over to our new apartment. It might not be the honeymoon suite, but we can still have a wedding night.”

Sonic smiled. “As long you’re in the room, I’ll say it’s sweet.”

Sally blushed.


Doctor L sat back in the hospital bed. “The MD said I’ll be discharged in a few days with good behavior. But when have you ever known me to behave?”

“Still the same grumpy old lady we all remember,” Gold laughed.

“And don’t you forget it. Listen I still think what you did was insanely reckless, but thanks for saving my life.”

Silver looked down dejected. “If only we could have done the same for everyone else. Von Schlemmer, Red Knight, Edmund…”

“You are, by changing history back to whatever it was before The Interloper messed things up to begin with,” Doctor L turned to Blaze. “So, you all finally met your parents?”

“Yes, and while they started to heal from what Mammoth did, they still lost the chance to raise us.”

“The way I see it Mammoth was doing them a favor,” L shot an annoyed glare in their direction. “Especially when your powers first awakened.”

“You’re still mad about that?” said Silver. “We were toddlers, we didn’t know any better!”

“He and Edmund went to look for clues in some dusty old archive and thought me and Schlemmer’s lab was the closest thing we had to a daycare.,” L looked at Silver. “Then you started levitating our equipment straight into your mouth to teeth on,” she turned to Gold. “You kept telepathically asking me for a ‘gookie’ every twenty seconds,” finally she settled on Blaze. “And you kept making ‘pwetty’ flames right next to some highly combustible chemicals! I wanted to turn your play pen upside down, put you all under it and set a few heavy weights on top. Good thing for you Von Schlemmer was a smart enough overlander to let you play with his helper bit robots so we could get SOME work done. Can’t wait to meet your folks so I can tell them this little story.”

The three turned beat red. “Come on Doc,” said Blaze. “Have a heart.”

“What? I thought you’d like them to have a laugh out of your early antics. Maybe prepare them a little for when your little brother and sisters are born. Come to think of it once you have your kids you’ll probably go through the same thing.”

“Speaking of which I better check in on them,” said Gold as closed her eyes and her mark glowed. “Then tomorrow we start looking for a Chaos…” She suddenly opened her eyes. “The Babylon Rouges are in Freedom City! Them, the Freedom Fighters and the Chaotix are all heading straight to the shelter we set up for the kids!”

“All at once?!” said Silver. “With that many there’s a big chance someone’s going to learn something they aren’t supposed to yet!”

“Then what are you all doing gabbing with a crusty old cuss like me for?!” said Doctor L. “Get going and stop them!”

The three ran out the door quickly.


“You better not be trying to steal anything here,” Sally said to the Babylon Rouges.

“Solving a little mystery actually,” said Wave as she got out a pocket watch sized device. “I gave each of us a unique tracking device so we can keep tabs on each other during a race or…other activities. Thing is I made four of the trackers but I’m picking up six of them and the other two are in that building.”

“Hey, we all going to brighten the day of the kids in there after they had a bad time,” said Sonic. “You may as well come with us.”


In the shelter the kids were all starting to settle in.

“Gotta admit they did a great job getting all this up on such short notice,” said Dusk. “They even managed a foosball table.”

“Right now, all I care about is the clean sheets and indoor plumbing!” said Flare. “No more smelly outhouses or checking my bed for insects before tucking in at night!”

“Yeah, well don’t get too comfortable,” said Gleam. “We should be trying to find a way home.”

“Well, I’m just happy that the reason our parents sent to camp wasn’t because they thought something dangerous was going to happen,” said Sonia. “I mean it did, but they were just trying to fix what that snotpill Synaptix had broken between us.”

“Forget about that pixel brain,” said Manik. “I once Mr. Silver gets a Chaos Emerald he can send us home, I mean we got the capsule to the Freedom Fighters, so mission accomplished right?”

“I don’t think it’s that simple Manik,” said Lara. “I doubt I’d have gotten those memories just to drop off a message. We might have more work to do here or back in our own time before this is over. But now I’m convinced that whatever I need to do, that special connection we all had when were little is a big part of it.” The kids all gathered around as the counselors watched from the wings. “I can’t do this without all of you.”

“No sweat,” Manik turned to the group. “We’re the Future Freedom Fighters now and we’re going to save the world!”

“Yeah!” the kids all shouted while pumping a fist into the air.

“We’re going to master our abilities and be unstoppable!” said Gleam.

“Yeah!”

“We’ll find out what’s going to happen to our future and stop whatever bad guy comes our way!” said Sonia.

“Yeah!”

“And we’re all going to get home without the Freedom Fighters, Chaotix or Babylon Rouges of this time finding out they’re going to be our parents!” said Lara.

“Yeah!”

“WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!!”

Kids turned around to see Sonic and the others had just come in. Everyone stared wide eyed, their gaze being drawn to the future parent or child.

“Crash and burn,” Lara softly groaned.

“Kids,” Silver said as he Gold and Blaze came in. “Your parents are…it’s already too late, isn’t it?”

“I might need an extra-large bottle of aspirin from all the memories I’m going to have to suppress,” muttered Gold.

“Uh…” Sonia and Manik put on their biggest ‘I didn’t do it’ grins as they spoke to Sonic and Sally together. “Happy late zeroth anniversary Mom and Dad?”

Sally’s eyes rolled into the back of her head, and she promptly fainted.

Chapter 29: The Veiled Operation

Summary:

The Freedom Fighters try to deal with shock of meeting their future children. Plots and circumstances move forward and the tale of the tragedy that shaped these children comes into light.

Chapter Text

On board the rectifier base Mourning Star the Alpha One stood at attention in a briefing room as his comrades behind him did the same. Before him a hologram appeared of a hovering chair with a black canopy over it that kept them from seeing who, if anyone, was sitting in it. “Superior Prime,” said the rectifier.

The supreme commander of the Imperium spoke with a distorted mechanical voice. “I understand that not only did you all lose the data capsule to the Freedom Fighters of this time, not only did you all take prisoners outside of their native timeframe, but you used Mode R without authorization Alpha One.”

“With all due respect Superior,” said Alpha two. “In Alpha one’s defense our limbic regulators were offline and we wouldn’t have even brought those prisoners to this time due to the malfunctions caused by…”

“I’ve read the report and that is no excuse for any of you! The regulator is a tool, not a crutch; you’re all expected to behave in a manner that is most conducive to mission success at all times!”

“Superior,” said Alpha one. “I accept full responsibility; I am ready to be punished.”

“It has been a long time since I did this, so long you seem to have forgotten Alpha One…”

Alpha one was brought to his knees as his suit electrified him as he screamed in pain, a scream that was part of a chorus as every rectifier was electrified as well.

“You have individual designations only to mark your default fire team and the order to which you were placed in it. The Rectifiers are a single faceless entity created to ‘solve problems’ standard forces can’t, if one performs well all are rewarded, if one accomplishes a mission all are credited, if one fails or disobeys the Superior Council all are punished, is that understood?!”

The voltage stopped and The Rectifiers got back to their feet. “Acknowledged,” all the rectifiers responded.

“Excellent, now that’s settled we can move onto business. After a thorough scan of our own systems, we determined what information the Final Freedom Fighters had recovered. If decrypted it will reveal the method used to establish the Imperium, but there was one important detail we deliberately excluded from that database without which altering this event will prove to be nigh impossible. Due to this the council and myself have determined that the best course of action for now is for you to proceed with your primary mission in that time. Once that is complete not only will it prevent alteration of the timeline, but we also be able to fulfill the true purpose of the Imperium.”

“True purpose of the Imperium?” said Alpha Three.

“You will be briefed on the matter when it becomes relevant or upon mission completion, for now you need to gather more emeralds.”

An alarm sounded out. “Super warp ring detected,” said the Mourning Star’s computer. “Changing course to enter optimal transmat range.”

“Excellent, with the chaos inverter charged by the Master Emerald we can get leaps and bounds closer to our goal. Due to his specialized knowledge, I am assigning this mission and the chaos inverter to the last member of Alpha Team. Use this weapon well Alpha Four.”

A two tailed fox rectifier stepped forward and gave a Roman salute with a clenched fist with his thumb to the side of his index finger. “Compliance.”

“Good, now if you have nothing further to report…”

“Actually, there is one issue superior,” said Alpha one. “Sonic said something about an Imperium agent making an attempt on his life, if there was another operation in this time why weren’t we notified of it?”

Superior Prime just floated in front of the camera for a moment. “…that information will be disclosed if it becomes relevant to your current assignment. Until mentioned otherwise try to keep alterations to the timeline outside your assignment to a minimum. Superior Prime out.”

The message ended then the rectifiers began filing out of the room.


Sally stirred as she heard music nearby that faded to a male voice. “And that was ‘Can You Feel the Sunshine?’ by the Forget-Me-Knots. It’s now seven o’ clock stay tuned for the Morning Parliament right here on 199.2 FM KTBR.”

“KTBR, Freedom City!”

“Welcome to the Morning Parliament, I’m Night the Owl.”

“And I’m Dawn the Rooster.”

“In our top story two Federation air carriers had crashed and a mountain top destroyed after…”

The radio went silent as Sally opened her eyes and saw Sonic looking back at her. “Morning beautiful, I hope I wasn’t snoring too loud for you.”

“Sonic, I had the strangest dream, we succeeded in our mission and went to check in on the kids, but then two of them called us mom and dad and…” Sally noticed that Sonic wasn’t his upbeat usual self. “…it wasn’t a dream, was it?”

“Nope, seems like The Rectifiers made a pit stop on the way back to our time and ended up kidnapping the future children of us and a bunch of our friends.”

Sally covered her face with a pillow. “I fainted. I stared down some of the worst villains and survived major disasters, but I meet my own kids face to face and I fainted.”

Sonic moved the pillow away and stroked the back of Sally’s head. “All of that wasn’t so personal to you, you have nothing to be ashamed of.” He then started blushing. “To be honest your reaction was kind of tame compared to some of the rest of us.”


Tails covered his head as he squatted down. “Johnny and Vanilla’s gonna kill me, Johnny and Vanilla’s gonna kill me…”

“I’m going to be a mom,” Fiona muttered. “I’ve never been a mom; I didn’t really grow up with a mom. What if they don’t like me? What if I disappoint them? What if I hurt them?!”

Wave seemed to be singing a song to herself, the pupils in her eyes were pinpricks. “Egg hatcher, egg hatcher, I’m going to be, perched in a nest, so feathery.”

Jet joined in a daze. “Egg hatcher, egg hatcher, we won’t be alone, with a chick to call our own.”

“I don’t wanna be old,” said Honey. “I don’t wanna be old, I don’t wanna be old!”

Sonic felt his head spinning. “B-but I only just got married, I’m not ready to be a dad yet! E-everything’s going too fast, HOW CAN ANYTHING BE TOO FAST FOR ME?!!”


Sonic sighed. “Yeah, that was not exactly my best moment.”

“I’m so sorry,” Sally said sitting up in bed. “We’ve been waiting to begin our lives together for so long but now that we have gotten married it just seems like one thing after another is butting in. You must be bursting with passion right now and then all of this happened.”

“Actually, I feel like I had a cold shower. Not exactly in a hurry to get in after meeting who’s eventually going to come out. Uh not that they don’t seem to be great it’s just a weird case of timing.”

“I, I feel just so conflicted,” Sally sighed. “You know me, I’ve always been about free will, both that of my people and my own.  The Source of All chose me over my brother, but I rejected it because it meant my destiny would be on a set path. Now I’m faced with another set destiny but if I reject it this time I’m denying two people, people I have no doubt I will love, their own free will and their very existence.”

“Well, it seems like all the kids were worried about that, but once it was clear none of them were immediately disappearing, they all calmed down. Everybody else decided to stay so we can all discuss what to do about our little visitors after a good night’s sleep.”

“Then I guess I better get ready,” Sally slipped out of bed. “None of us will be able to handle the Robotnick Ascendancy AND the Mobius Imperium if we’re all worried and preoccupied over children we haven’t had yet. The sooner they can go home the better.”

Suddenly a watch-like device on the nightstand started buzzing. “Sonic, it’s your father. Can you hear me?”

Sonic pulled his glove up enough to put the communicator on as he spoke to it. “Yeah Dad, funny I knew you went back to the army, but I didn’t expect you call me this way, particularly this early.”

“Well General Prower just got some intel he wants you to act on asap, seems like a super warp ring was spotted at Crescent Falls, it shouldn’t take you long with your speed to get there. Better that we get to it and an emerald before Robotnick does.”

“Dad you don’t know how much of a break this is, Silver actually needs a Chaos Emerald. I’ll be there and back before lunch,” Sonic closed the channel and fit the glove over the communicator before turning back to Sally. “After everybody calmed down Silver said he has a way to send all the kids back to the future where they belong that he and Blaze can do, all they needed was a Chaos Emerald. If we’re lucky that’s what Feist is in the mood to be handing out to the winner today.”

“You better get going then,” said Sally. “I’ll gather everyone at the Acorn Army HQ to talk about how to handle things afterward.”

Sonic gave her a deep kiss before zooming out the door.


In the shelter the kids began calling “The Hideaway” everyone had sat down to breakfast, well almost everyone.

“What you mean site not found!?” Aleena shouted at a computer. “I just want to let my neighbors know I’m ok you lower deck piece of junk!”

“Hey, I’d like to get on Chatterbox to see how the extreme gear junior division is shaping up,” said Ace. “So don’t hog it!”

“Is that an insult?! You know they both only let kids stay on for an hour and talk with other kids, so you’ll get your chance! I just don’t want my neighbors to think PrincessPop has abandoned them!”

Gasket sighed. “First off Aleena most of your neighbors haven’t even been born yet and Ace the info you’d find would be twenty years out of date. Second, Neighborhood and Chatterbox won’t even be made for another sixteen years or so. Third that ‘piece of junk’ is probably as upper deck as most people these days can get.”

Aleena groaned as she got up from the computer while Ace turned away. “Ugh, now time has come to screw with me personally! Because of time travel and aging magic, I have a brother and sister who, while being physically three years younger than my parents are technically two years older! Because of that I got two nieces, two nephews, a brother-in-law and a sister-in-law all before any of us were potty trained! Please tell me we can get home without me becoming my own grandma or something?!”

“Wouldn’t know anything about that,” said Jackie. “The Freedom Fighters, with our agreement, say we’re not leaving this building until they come up with a permanent solution. Frankly I think I speak for the adults in here when I say we don’t want to risk messing up our own timelines by being in close proximity to our younger selves.”

“I’d risk it,” Kneecaps said with a sigh. “If it would mean I can see Mom again.”

Lara-Su came up to her uncle. “Oh right, Grandma’s still alive back here. I’d like that too; I was just a puggle when…”

 “I remember, you might not have gotten to know her, but she really loved you. She held your egg, played peek-a-boo with you, she was the first one to notice how easy you kids were able to form bonds with each other by watching you, Rutan and Ajax play. Mom lasted longer than the doctors gave her but that didn’t make it easier for us. If it weren’t for Dad, Knux, Julie and everyone I think I’d still be lost.”

“I understand Sugarlips,” said Alexis. “But the ball’s is in the Freedom Fighters’ court. Maybe they’ll make an exception about you seeing her, but I wouldn’t get my hopes up.”

“I guess,” said Lara. “Still, I heard a lot of cool things about her, I want to get to really know what my namesake was like.”

“Ah, need a hug Red?” scoffed Gleam.

Lara groaned. “Gleam, butt out!”

“Hey, cool it sis,” said Dusk. “If we still had grandparents around this time, we’d want to see what they’d be like too.”

“Still not speaking to you,” growled Gleam. “You little diary reading sneak.”

“You did what?!” said Salma. “A dairy is where a girl keeps the deepest secrets of her heart!”

“To read something like that without permission is…is just plain wrong!” Taffy said.

“I can’t believe you Dusk!” Grace said with the beginnings of tears in her eyes. “I thought you were a nice guy, but you are willing to do something like this than…than maybe I never knew who you were to begin with!”

“N-no,” Dusk stammered. “Grace it’s, it’s…”

Suddenly tears in his own eyes he turned and pointed at Gleam. “It’s you who I don’t know any more Gleam! The only reason I ever read your diary is that we never talk anymore, not since that year you spent away with Dad! The sister who used to tell me everything, who goofed around with me and liked to laugh with me never came back and instead I got a sister who’s always in a bad mood, takes everything too seriously and never tells me anything! Get it yet?! I read your diary because it felt like the only way for me to know what’s going on with my own sister and even after reading it cover to cover, I still have no idea why you changed this much!”

“I-I’d like to think if something was wrong, you’d tell me,” Juanita said to Salma. “Even if you think I’m annoying.”

“I wouldn’t do something like Dusk did,” said Skye. “But that’s because I know if something was bothering you Taff you’d come to me about it.”

“Grace, I know we butt heads a lot,” said Brawn. “But a least when you’re mad at me you let me know why. If I suddenly changed and was being tight lipped about it, wouldn’t you do what you could to find out why?”

The young vixen sighed. “Ok, it was still totally not speed Dusk, but I get why you did it.”

“I’ve been wondering that too,” said Lara. “After you came back Gleam, we just ended up arguing every time we met. But I remember a shy, sunny girl that was fun to be around, the only girl who convinced me playing dress up might be fun, who made silly faces with me, whatever happened to that girl?”

Gleam took a brief glance to the ring around her wrist before growling. “The same thing as the rest of you, remember? Look things are different for me alright, I tend to do better on my own.” Gleam began walking away before muttering under her breath. “And it’s safer for all of you.”


About a hundred miles away fifteen minutes later Sonic was approached a giant waterfall in a horseshoe shape. “Yeah, so worth it to slow down and take the scenic route. Now my mind’s refreshed and ready to take on Feist’s game. First step of which is actually finding the way in.”

Sonic looked up and saw the giant warp ring flashing in the colors of the emeralds floating over a rock jutting from the very edge of the falls.

“When Feist said these things would show up in hidden or hard to reach places, he wasn’t kidding. Try to get to that thing by boat you risk going over the falls. Instead…” Sonic ran in circle. “…I’ll just build up speed…” he then began to run over the water of the river at the base of the falls. “…and that should give me enough momentum…” He then leapt from the river to a stone at the base of the falls. “…to make the warp ring a hop…” he leapt again to a rock halfway up the falls. “…skip…” Sonic leapt one more time sailing right to the ring. “…and a jump away!”

In an instant Sonic found himself in the surreal landscape of the Special Zone. “Hey Feist, it’s your favorite blue blur! I really need a Chaos Emerald so what do you have for me this time? Race through a half-pipe, smash a bunch of UFOs, or collect some blue spheres?”

Feist floated before him unresponsive, his mouth hung open as strange black smoke seemed to rise from his body.

“Alright Feist what are you up to this…”

Sonic felt something metallic at his feet, he bent over and picked up a familiar looking device.

“Wait a minute, this is that gizmo Knuckles said got juiced up on Master Emerald power. What’s this doing here and totally drained?”

“You hold the instrument of Fiest’s downfall,” Sonic heard in his mind.

“The Chaos Titans?” Sonic asked. “But how?! Fiest is practically a god in the Special Zone!”

“This weapon was able to use the energies of the Master Emerald to turn Fiest’s own power against him.”

“Fortunately, before he lost consciousness Fiest had scattered all but the three emeralds he had already given out throughout your world before the pawns you call rectifiers could claim them and will recall them when he recovers in time.”

“But even now the pawns are searching the planet for the gems and gathering them together.”

“Find the second champion, only then can you begin to thwart the mastermind’s true intentions.”

“But beware, for already a great deception is at foot.”

“We cannot say more without alerting the enemy.”

“May the light of creation shine upon your path.”

Sonic reached out. “But where can I find this…?!”

Bright light later and Sonic found himself on the rock overlooking the waterfall. “…champion?” After a second to run over the river to the shore Sonic turned to head back home. “Looks like we might be in for another period of ‘preventing a major crisis’, Sal’s not going to be happy at all.”


After Sonic made it back and gave his explanation to the Freedom Fighters.

“So now we have elite warriors from the future going all over the place looking for emeralds,” Knuckles growled. “We have to send those kids back, we can’t look after them and deal with this threat.”

“Not to mention Robotnick,” said Sally. “He’s the wildcard in all this, as powerful as The Rectifiers’ technology is no doubt Viktor will try to get his hands on it.”

 “Speaking of tech, how’s that data capsule coming along?” asked Shadow. “We all went to a lot of trouble over that thing, whatever’s in there better be worth it.”

“Slowly,” said Nicole. “After…what happened last night, me, Rotor and Tails decided to work on the thing to get our minds off what we learned. It’s basic Robotnick tech, but with about two hundred years’ worth of advances in hardware and software added. I’d really like to have this Doctor L explain what it is we’re trying to fix.”

“Now on top of everything else I have to find this other champion the Titans have,” said Sonic. “You’d think they’d describe them for me if getting together was so important.”

“Actually, that’s easy,” said Silver. “It’s Lara-Su.”

Julie-Su looked up with a start. “What?! How would you know that?!”

“The other day, when Lara was explaining how she and the rest of the kids wound up in this time she mentioned a dream she had shortly before hand about ‘a champion’ of her era being chosen. Sounds a lot like the Titans.”

“But she’s just a child!” said Knuckles. “I’m still trying to wrap my head around the fact that I’m going to have a daughter! Why would they place such a burden on someone so young?!”

“Well, they might not have had much choice,” said Gold. “While we couldn’t find the truth about early Imperium history, we had an approximate timeline based on verifiable military operations. Given the size of the galaxy and the rate Imperium forces have taken it over, whatever happens to Mobius had to have occurred sometime during these kids’ lifetimes. There’s a good chance that the Titans didn’t approach Lara as adult or even a teenager because,” Gold closed her eyes trying to hide her tears. “It would have already been too late for our children by then.”

“I can guess that’s why we couldn’t stop it,” said Tails. “At that point age would at least be starting to take a toll on our bodies.”

“That doesn’t mean we should put Lara or any of these other kids in harms’ way!” growled Knuckles. “Can’t Blaze just use the Master Emerald with me and we can send them all home now?!”

“The power of the gems isn’t as important as the balance between their energies,” said Silver. “The Master Emerald has just too much to synchronize with any of the others, even with the Sol Emerald we have definite access to there’s a chance it might not work for Chronos Control.”

“I agree with you Knuckles,” said Sally. “They should only be worried about school, allowance, popularity; stuff that will seem trivial years down the line, not the kinds of things we had to at their age either with your guardian work or us trying to fight a rebellion because we wouldn’t have had the numbers to win otherwise,” Sally however lowered her head. “But we also know better than anyone kids aren’t immune to grownup problems, one way or another they’ll have to be ready for a fight.”

“Are you seriously suggesting we put them through combat training!?” said Rogue. “That’s not exactly what G.U.N. sent us here for!”

“I don’t know but the first step, for their sakes and ours, is to get to know them and the best people to let them open up are the people who are going to be their parents.”

“Is that a good idea?” asked Tails. “I mean we might change their timeline just by knowing about future events.”

“I already had that planned out,” said Gold. “I can suppress our memories of the children and any knowledge that comes with it until after the date they return. It should keep any changes to a minimum, plus I think we’ll all be saner for it.”

“And you can do this without scrambling our brains?” asked Sonic.

Gold shot back a mean look.

“Sorry, I’m just still uneasy about someone getting into my head. I trust you and I agree, best way to live my own way and do what’s best for the kids is to not know they’re coming. Come on, let’s try to do this and get through the day without any more surprises.”


“While only minor to medium injuries were reported the damage to both the local ecosystem and the two battleships is extensive. Cleanup crews are hard at work but the reasons for the apparent joint mission so soon after the wedding between Sonic the Hedgehog and Princess Sally Acorn are unknown. The perpetrators of the attack remain at large.”

Viktor turned off the tv broadcast as he turned to a monitor on his hovering chair. “So that’s the official version. Phage have you been able to find out the more classified bits?”

“That worm program I assimilated last month allowed me passive access into G.U.N. radio chatter,” the program said. “These ‘rectifiers’ as the Freedom Fighters call them stole a Chaos Emerald from the Federation. Apparently, they are the enforcers of a future regime that expands from Mobius to the rest of the galaxy.”

Robotnick looked out the window of the ARK towards Mobius. “So, they’re in the way of our objective. Bad enough for an unknown factor to add itself to the equation, but their very existence precludes the success of the Robotnick Ascendancy, one way or another they have to be eliminated.”

A green robot with a stern looking face spoke up. “If my troops encounter these rectifiers, it would best if they gathered intel on them to gain a tactical advantage for you Doctor. It would be least I can do in return for salvaging and upgrading me and my fellow combots.”

Viktor turned to face the combot. “I felt you were an underutilized asset Commander Brutus, a war machine that developed a most unusual affinity for tactics and had taken the name of one of his creator’s ancestors. If my predecessors weren’t such control freaks and let you run the military aspects of their empires, I have no doubt at worst the Freedom Fighters would still be a semi-effective nuisance scurrying about in the shadows or at best roboticized laborers. I make use of my assets, even if that use is marginal, in the right place a pawn can more powerful than a queen and you are worth more than that. So, to aid in my overall strategy I would like your opinion as you give me a status report on our current operations.”

“Sir the recruitment of previous models of Robotnik and Eggman robots through the promises of Metallix upgrades has not only replenished your forces to pre-elemental war levels weeks ahead of schedule this build up has gone unnoticed for now since the units in question had been deemed obsolete. However, in my opinion this lack of action in the meantime draws the risk of the Freedom Fighters uncovering the ruse, they’ll think you’re up to something. I recommend launching a feint or a territory grab to divert their attention away from your new project.”

“In that case Brutus, take a platoon to Mercia. My satellite sensor net has picked up a Chaos Emerald in the vicinity of Sylvania Castle, I will need at least two emeralds but preferably as many as we can get our hands on for the project. We can kill two birds with one stone.”

“At once doctor.”

As Brutus left Lilith came into the room. “Viktor I would like to have a word with you, in private.”

Viktor looked at the display on his chair. “Phage, leave us.” Once the program indicated it was no longer in the system the would-be conqueror looked to his partner. “This is a bit unusual; you normally are fine with letting Phage into whatever you have to discuss with me.”

“What I have to talk about is unusual, it’s about the information that was uncovered at the Babylon Cup.”

Viktor got a serious look on his face before pushing a button on his chair before getting up as the windows began to be covered by a heavy shutter and the door made a locking sound. “The Rectifiers, the ones responsible for yesterday’s incident, are from the same time as the grey hedgehog and that blonde tenrec, aren’t they?”

“They are, but thanks to the encryptions we placed on White Bishop and Red Knight an opportunity has presented itself that can give us and edge against both The Rectifiers as well as Sonic and his allies.”

Viktor and Lilith found themselves sharing a smirk. “How about you tell me about it over lunch, followed by stroll to the main observatory? I like I’d like to share a view of the stars that will be ours.”


Antione and Bunnie sat across a table from Jacque and Belle.

“Soooooooo…” Bunnie said. “Ya’ll are our youngun’s from, the future?”

“Oui Maman,” said Jacques. “But I guess you aren’t Maman, not yet anyway.”

“I don’t mind ya callin’ me that if it makes you feel more comfortable.”

“Same with Ma?” asked Belle.

“Oui,” said Antione. “And call me whatever you are most comfortable with.”

“Thanks Pa.”

Antione’s gaze settled on the kid’s robotic limbs. “You, you weren’t teased about those, were you?”

“Non papa, zhay didn’t laugh at for ‘avin ze metal arms and legs,” Jacques sighed. “Zhey laughed at us for being utter klutzes until we learned to use our new limbs without falling over or knocking down everything in reach.”

“But that’s over now,” said Belle. “It probably would have easier if we got’em when we were younger but y’all thought that wasn’t a good idea after…!”

Belle’s sudden silence cause Bunnie to raise an eyebrow. “After what?”

“Rein,” went Jaques.

“Nuthin,” went Belle.

The Decoolettes gave the youngsters a stern look.

“Nuthin,” went Jaques.

“Rein,” went Belle.

The nervous look they both had brought an awkward silence.


Mina, Ash and Melody sat on a couch while an awkward silence hung in the air.

“I don’t suppose you like music?” asked Mina.

Melody suddenly grinned like Cheshire cat. “You kidding?! It’s like my whole life! My biggest dream is to be a world-famous idol like you!”

The two musicians breathed a sigh of relief. “That’s good to hear,” said Ash. “I’d hate to think our kid wouldn’t like our music.”

“Ah come on, I love the oldies!”

The elder mongooses each had a stunned blank expression as their eyes shrunk to pinpricks. “Oldies?” they both murmured.

Melody jolted up. “I didn’t mean like that; it’s just how fast the pop music world goes! Stuff you’d release this year would only be considered oldies in another fifteen years, around the time I…” Melody sat back down with a nervous smile. “…but you don’t want to hear about that, it’s boring! Hey, I wrote a song at camp, why don’t you tell me what you think?!”


Charmy and Saffron looked at the young bee in front of them with misty eyes.

“So, your name is Mellow,” Charmy said. “I guess this has been a bit much for you, hasn’t it?”

“Yeah,” the younger bee said. “I was actually eager to leave home before all this started, you know to prove to everyone that I can be tough and cool.”

Charmy sighed. “I know how that feels.”

“But now all I can think about is how my family, that is my family in my time, must be worried sick about me.”

“Don’t worry,” said Saffron. “You’ll be home with your brothers and sisters before you know it.”

Mellow got a glum look. “Actually, I’m an only child.”

Saffron teared up. “Oh, I’m sorry. It’s just I always imagined myself having three each of boys and girls.”

“Well, I think heard you both talking about me getting some brothers and sisters when I was really little, but that was before…never mind forget I said anything.”

“Alright,” said Charmy. “Why don’t you tell us about what you like?”

“Well, I don’t think I’m very good at it, but I like to draw and work with clay,” Mellow said a blush.

“I think there’s some pencil and paper around here,” said Saffron. “Why don’t you show us?”

Mellow smiled as he set to his drawing.


Geoffrey cleared his throat. “So, you kids have any idea what you want to be when you grow up?”

“I narrowed it down to either an acrobat or a daredevil,” said Cocoa.  “I mean I’m good at gymnastics, but as either of those my life would be much more exciting!”

Hershey forced a laugh. “I hope things are peaceful enough where you come from that The Republic wouldn’t need spies, but even with that I can’t imagine we’d have gotten THAT boring right?”

“Well, our parents haven’t really given us the details on what they do now,” said Ian. “But I heard stories about the adventures they had before we were born. I always thought that was so cool,” Ian flattened his ears. “It’d be so awesome to be like you, but I just don’t have what it takes.”

“Hey, you can be a great spy!” said Cocoa. “I mean as good as you are at the task game all you really need is to get enough confidence to conquer your fear and nothing will stop you!”

“Task game?” asked Geoffrey.

“Oh, it’s just a game we sometimes play at school. One person writes down one thing each of the players must do and passes them out inside envelopes, first one to finish their task before a deadline wins but if you can’t do your task you have to sit out the rest of the game. Thing is the task you’re given isn’t yours, it belongs to someone else.”

“So, whatever it is you have to do first you need to find out who actually has your task while keeping the person whose task you do have in the dark.”

“Yeah,” said Ian. “I remember once Cocoa once had mine, that time my task was ‘go down the slide with Cocoa’. She could have held it over my head to try to win but showed me because she wanted me to.”

“That was very sweet of you,” asked Hershey.

Cocoa shook her head as she giggled. “Maybe, but it was the wrong move that time.”

Ian started giggling himself. “Thing was I just happened to have been given Cocoa’s task, ‘don’t show anyone your paper until six minutes before the deadline’.”

“By giving him the proof that I wasn’t trying to trick him we both lost.”

“I’d have warned her, but she just put the paper right in front my face.”

Hershey found herself giggling to as Geoffrey joined in. “It’s crazy, you’re both so different but you get along so well.”

“Well, we weren’t always,” said Cocoa. “Everyone kept saying we were peas in a pod, I think they stopped doing that around…”

Suddenly Cocoa and Ian seemed much more like twins when they became eerily quiet.

Geoffrey took the subtle hint. “Let’s change the subject, do you like school?”


Lien-Da and Finitivus just looked at Rutan silently, after a few moments the young boy growled. “I’d say take a picture, but I get the feeling that’s not allowed.”

“It’s still hasn’t fully sunk in yet,” said. Finitivus. “We’re going to be parents.”

“Why’s that a surprise?”

Lien-Da looked down at her stomach. “I thought my own blind ambition cost us that.”

“What you think because you were a villain the universe wouldn’t let you have kids?”

“I guess given your age I’m not surprised your parents didn’t tell you. When Regina Ferrum and Jun Kun had control of the Dark Egg Legion, I thought I outsmarted their attempts to use mind control implants and launched a rebellion to take control of everything myself. What I didn’t realize while Dimitri did finish his countermeasure, I deposed him before he could also counteract Eggman’s cherry bombs as well. One push of a button had reduced me to little more than meat and tubes, but Eggman rebuilt me and let me keep my original appearance because he thought if I kept trying to take over, he could always predict me. But what he, and I, didn’t predict was Thrash sending me to the Twilight cage or that because of it I would fall in love.

 “It was only after when I was minutes from the altar that the idea of motherhood even entered my mind, and it was after we devolved, revolved, married and starting to settle in that I remembered how I was rebuilt. I went to one of the legion doctors to see if Eggman even bothered to ‘install the right plumbing’. The doctor told me that it looked like Eggman did salvage what he could of that part of my anatomy, if only to make sure my lack of certain hormones didn’t interfere with me scheming against him. However, parts had to be cybernetically augmented to remain intact and most of the organic bit left were scared…”

Lien-Da had an uncharacteristic tear and Finitivus held her. “The doctor told me that the odds of conceiving a child and the fertilized egg being able to successfully implant itself long enough for a yolk and shell to form were…very, very remote. We never told anyone; it wouldn’t help tensions if it came out that I had a ‘fault’ that I inflicted upon myself in my desire for power.”

“Miracle boy,” Rutan suddenly said. “It was a nickname Mom and Dad kept calling me even though I thought it sounded sappy as I got older. Sometimes I thought they were putting too much pressure on me or were a bit clingy, but now it makes sense. I mean you told me about the birds and the bees and organ cloning tech’s been around for a few years, but to get something that complicated working right, no wonder you both went ballistic looking…” Rutan then suddenly went quiet.

“Looking for what?” asked Finitivus.

“I, it’s not something we try to talk about, just trust me when I say you’re better off not knowing.”


Sally looked at the children for the first time since they wished her a happy zeroth university last night. “Sonia and Manik, it was only a couple of days ago when I thought they sounded nice when I remembered Sonic’s story of his adventure in another zone with siblings from a different mother. I remember seeing you too in a vision of a potential future the Source of All gave me, but it looked like that one didn’t end too well, but you were younger in that.”

“I don’t know about all that,” said Manik. “Things are kind of peaceful back home; we never had any ‘fate of the world’ sort of trouble since we were little.”

“So that means we won,” said Sonic. “No Robotnicks, the villains stop coming and everybody gets to live peaceful lives again?”

“Well, if stuff like that does happen, we aren’t told about it.”

“We probably thought it was for you own good,” said Sally. “But if you must do this, we’ll get you ready, both for whatever happens here and when you get home. I’m not going to rest until we can get you all back to your own time and that capsule that dragged you into this is decoded so we can find out how to keep the future safe for you.”

Sonia looked at Sally with admiration. “You never do give up do you? That’s so cool, I wish my mom…”

Sonia quickly shut up but Sally and Sonic’s suspicions were already raised. “You wish your mom what?”

Sonia sighed while Manik looked on sadly. “I wish my mom, was more like you Sally.”

“But how can she be more like me when she is me!?”

“I don’t want to be like my mom, I want to be like you are now. You wouldn’t have given up…like she did.”

“What are you talking about!?”

“Please,” said Manik. “It’s a real sore spot for all of us, how about you tell us about this training you had in mind instead?”

Sally raised an eyebrow. “Ok, I haven’t had time to come up with anything yet, but why don’t tell me what you can do?”


Alexis looked out over the roof to the skyscraper that had the royal estate on its roof. “Incredible, so close but it also feels so far away.”

“I feel the same sis,” said Eddie. “It’s home, but at the same time it isn’t.”

“Hopefully we’ll get back to the real thing soon.”

“I just hope the kids are doing ok,” said Aurora. “I know they miss their parents but meeting them when they were so much younger is bound to be awkward.”

“I’m sure everybody is doing fine,” said Enerjak.

Kneecaps fist bumped his fellow echidna. “Yeah, you know how much we looked up to them when we were kids, they must be super excited to see their famous parents in their prime.”

“Well, if this is our prime, then you got me worried that it’s all downhill from here little brother,” Knuckles said as he, Shadow, Sally and Sonic came out to the roof top.

“Ah! I didn’t mean it like that Big Bro! You’re…dang am I supposed to let him know?!”

“Settle down, I was just ribbing you. Wow, looks like you’ve come a long way from banging me on the head with your rattle.”

“Same for you Alexis,” said Sally. “I was just listening to your mother sing you a lullaby days ago and you Eddie? Your father shown us recent ultrasound of you, your fur hasn’t even come in yet. But here you two are fully grown and turning out quite handsome and beautiful.”

“Please you’re embarrassing us,” said Alexis. “We’re doing ok, the kids need attention more than us.”

“Actually it’s because of the kids we came up here,” said Sonic. “Everybody got a chance to chat, but everyone mentioned the same thing. It seemed like there was something they tried to avoid talking about and not because of future stuff. It was almost like they were afraid or ashamed or something.”

Shadow looked off to the distance. “We have reason to believe that Lara-Su, Gleam and the others have something important to do here, or at least something important here they have to learn. Given how strong the Rectifiers are those kids are going to need combat training but whatever this is might be holding them back. Gleam in particular was very defensive; like whatever it was had an even deeper impact on her than anyone else. So, on behalf of all of us and for me personally, what is going to happen to my daughter?”

Rora gazed off sadly. “What you’re asking, is a really big deal. It affected the kids most of all, but it also had wide ramifications for the world too.”

“Hey, Gold is going to bury anything we learn about the future,” said Sonic. “Your timeline’s going to be safe.”

“You might not think that once you know,” said Jackie. “If you’re also telling the rest of the Freedom Fighters than Gold might change her mind, at least when it comes to this.”

“We wouldn’t ask if we didn’t think the fate of the world is at stake,” said Sally. “It might be worse for Mobius down the line, so as painful as it’s going to be for all, even if we end up sacrificing a happy life down the line, we have to know so they can help save not just our future but yours too.”

Alexis sighed. “Alright Auntie, we’ll tell you about…the Veiled Operation, the mission where the Freedom Fighters succeeded but, while the world at large doesn’t know truth of it, had forever colored how the people saw their heroes.”

Sonic clenched his fist. “Ok fire away, what was so bad about it?”

“First you’re going to need context,” said Eddie. “You have to understand why you ended up making choices you’d probably think you never would. While the incident happened five years ago for us the roots went back a few years before that. Around the time we were the same age all those kids are now, you’d been fighting a back-and-forth war with the Robotnick Ascendancy for nearly a decade by that point, that was just how things were for us, but one day everything changed.”


Nine years in the future

Sonic has racing down a corridor of the Colossus with Tails hovering right behind him.

“So, you plug your gizmo into his power source for this gravity weapon and the fight’s over? Why don’t you give me some good news?”

The fox smirked to the hedgehog he now shared a height with. “Ok, once these viruses get into his control systems Viktor’s gravitic amplifier will be powered down faster than you can say ‘file not found’!”

“Ok let’s hurry it up then so we call listen as Mr. Perfect as yells about how he hates a certain blue hedgehog. That dummy signal you and Nicole came up with is working almost too well, they still don’t know we’re here.”

“All the better, he’s set to fire on Freedom City at any minute.”

The two came into a room with a massive generator that was had an alien looking technology meshing with Robotnick’s usual material.

“Ok,” said Sonic. “One big gun shutting down.”

As Sonic looked for a port Tails looked more closely at the generator. “Strange, it feels like I’ve seen this before. It almost looks like…” Tails then turned to Sonic. “Wait we have to…!”

Sonic had already inserted the drive, red lights and klaxons went off. “Day saved, now only a few bots stand…”

Tails got out a more advanced version of his old Miles Electric. “All Freedom Fighters get clear of the Colossus! Robotnik somehow made this weapon using parts of the Xordas’ quantum dial!”

“You mean the one that almost turned Mobius into a black hole!? Better beat feet now!”

Sonic grabbed Tail’s wrist and zoomed to the nearest exit. They both jumped out of the ship as Tails held Gripped Sonic and burst through the air down to a hill where the rest of the Freedom Fighters were holding off a horde of Neoswats. Behind them a large black and purple sphere extended outward from the Colossus only just as suddenly reverse, vanishing from sight along with the battleship. Once it disappeared all the robots suddenly ground to a halt.

“What in tarnation?” asked Bunnie.

“The control system must be out,” said Rotor as he poked one with a wrench and it fell over.

“Sonic, Tails,” Sally said as they both landed. “What just happened up there?”

Tails took a deep breath. “Robotnick had somehow managed to salvage bits of the quantum dial and he used that to build his gravitic amplifier. When my virus corrupted its OS it caused the containment field to collapse creating a quantum warp field in the immediate space time of its area.”

“Honey,” said Cream. “Remember that talk we had about layman’s terms?”

Tails sighed. “The same thing that happened to Sonic when he destroyed the quantum dial has just happened to the Colossus.”

“So, ve are get a yearlong break from zis war?” said Antione. “Tres Magnifique!”

“Ok, not so exactly the same. The space-time co-ordinates Viktor, Lilith, Phage and the bots they had on board would emerge is going to be random. It’s far more likely the Colossus shows up in another place and time all together. Sonic was lucky he popped up in the next galaxy away about a year later, this can only take them forward in time but depending on where and when they were sent the most likely result is that it would take Robotnick decades or even centuries to return, if ever at all.”

Nicole put her hands over her mouth. “So, you’re saying that it’s all over!? We finally won!?”

“Let’s not get ahead of ourselves,” said Sally. “He might appear five minutes from now in the middle of downtown Portal up on Angel Island.”

“But this is a golden opportunity!” said Sonic. “Snively and Regina were recaptured a week ago and Mr. Perfect’s only other commanders would be AI who’re all on the Colossus with him! There’s no one leading his forces and his bots are just standing there, if we strike hard and fast now than if he comes back, he won’t have an army, any territory and in a severe disadvantage we can use to lock him up once and for all! All we got left right now is clean up!”

“Yeah!” the Freedom Fighters shouted.

Sally nodded. “You’re right, let’s strike while the iron is hot!”

Sally ignited her ring blades again and cleaved an inactive Neoswat in half.


A week later Sally was standing out on a balcony in the middle of the night while a noisy celebration was going on inside. Sonic then stumbled out his footing slightly uneven.

“Hey beautiful, the party’s inside.”

Sally gave a wistful sigh. “I can’t believe everybody just thinks it’s over, we still don’t know how long it will take for Viktor to return.”

“IF he returns, you gotta loosen up a little.”

Sally sniffed Sonic’s breath. “Smells to me like you’ve done a lot of loosening up already.”

“Come on, don’t be a stick in the mud. I recall that after old Robuttink met the receiving end of his ultimate nullifier you once took a bunch of our allies just to go skydiving.”

“And another Robotnick showed up not all that long afterward, we left him to get blown up on his space station only for him to reinvent himself as Eggman. Then we thought Eggman was trapped in Robotropolis when the Federation nuked it only for him to survive, later you beat him to the point he lost his mind then he recovered it enough to become more dangerous than ever, then I set a plan into motion that destroyed Eggman only for Viktor to take his place. So yeah, forgive me for expecting the other shoe to drop.”

“Come on Sal, we can’t put our lives on hold forever expecting this war to start again,” Sonic to looked down to the streets below where the populous were celebrating. “It’s not like we have a lot of time left to just have fun anyway.”

Sally’s expression turned from frustrated to worrying. “What are you talking about?”

“We spent the best years of our lives fighting, it won’t be all that long until I’m thirty.”

Sally raised an eyebrow. “Whatever happened to the guy who was celebrating a birthday after having come back missing a year and settled the debate with quote ‘let’s just say I’m a teenager forever’?”

“I did something you probably thought was impossible for me once, I matured. Plus, our families are starting to get on in years, Uncle Chuck wants to reopen his old diner but is afraid he can’t handle that and his experiments at the same time anymore. So, we decided that while he’s going to reopen the diner, I’ll be the one running it.”

“Sonic the Hedgehog, small business owner. Two phrases I never even considered going together.”

“Well, everybody’s got plans now; Twan and Bunnie are thinking of using part of the old Rabbot manor as a fancy restaurant where our knight can be a chef; Amy’s applying for quiet office jobs, I’ve heard Rouge talking about opening a nightclub and Tail’s told me he’s looking for investors for a research company to make stuff for the public. He’s even got a name picked out, Prowertech.

Sonic turned his gaze to the night sky. “Truth is none of us are kids anymore, time’s come to finally grow up and if I don’t figure what to do with myself now I never will.”

Sally sighed. “I guess I was hoping that if Viktor wasn’t really gone, I wouldn’t need to figure that out myself. But whatever happens from now on, we’ll still be together to face it. There was one thing I learned from Julaya just from how she lived, growing up doesn’t mean growing old, as long as we keep thinking our best years can still be ahead, we can be grey and wrinkly and still be young. I’ll figure out what to do, starting tomorrow.”

“Why not tonight?”

Sally smiled back. “Because tonight we’re celebrating, so I’m going back in there and getting myself as sloshed as you and everybody else and later we’re going to make crazy, clumsy, embarrassing, drunken love.”

Sonic laughed. “That doesn’t sound like something you think is that all that romantic.”

“I don’t, but I find it fun, and fun is what we both need right now.”

The two then went to rejoin the raucous party.


“Everyone tried to figure out what to do with themselves in a post-Ascendancy world, it was easier for some than others, but it wasn’t long before most of the Freedom Fighters came upon a common answer.”

“WAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!”

“Start families.”

Sonic sat up in bed groggily, bags under his eyes. “Sonia needs to be changed, don’t worry Sal, it’s my turn.”

 “WAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!”

Sally then got out with bags as large as her husband’s. “And Manik is hungry, which means it’s OUR turn.”

“Don’t worry kids,” said Sonic. “We’re coming and we have a story for you. It’s about a handsome knight, a beautiful princess, their wonderful children and how they all SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT!”

“There were bad days sure, but no one delighted in their children more than all of you and in turn the public thought if anyone truly deserved to quietly retreat into family life it was their heroes. Overtime we noticed those kids began playing and empathizing with each other much earlier than you’d expect children so to. You all thought something very, very special would come from it. But that all changed one day…”


Fifteen years in the future

A large inflatable castle just finished blowing up in the corner of a park. “Ok,” Sally said as she came into a kitchen. “The bouncy castle is set up along with all the games and the prize bags, the pinata’s hung, presents are all stacked up and the party hats are waiting to be worn.”

“Grill’s ready for the dogs to cook,” Sonic said as he watched over a pot on a portable heater while wearing an apron. “Chili’s slow cooking, the pizza guy confirmed the time he’d get here, and the cake is in the fridge. All we need are the guests then we’ll be set for the best birthday party ever.”

“Mama, Daddy!” a pair of tiny kids came running up to their parents at amazing speed wearing party hats. “Is it time?! Is it time?!”

“We just have to wait for your friends to get here,” said Sally.

“I hope they come in time for Prism Pals,” said Manik.

“It’s lots more fun watching it together!” said Sonia.

Sally got out a marker and a chart. “The projector’s set up and everything, but first let’s see how tall you’ve both gotten. Manik you’re first.” The boy stood up straight against the chart. “Ok, let’s just pat your quills down so we can be fair.” Sally marked Manik’s height. “Ok now Sonia.”

A number of car horns nearby honked. “There they are now,” said Sonic. “I’ll just run to…” the twins then blasted out to the hallway. “…greet them.”

Sally sighed. “We seriously need to limit how much sugared cereal they eat.”

Soon several children were running out into the living room and chatting it up. “Hey Sonic,” Tails said as he and Cream tried to maneuver their way past a growing number of small children making their way into the house. “Coming up I thought Cream and I took a wrong turn and came up on a carnival, you two really went all out for this one.”

“Five’s a big milestone for a kid,” said Sally. “And there was a bit of my stipend from the royal family I hadn’t really used yet this year, so we figured ‘What the heck? Let’s splurge a little’.”

“Splurge is right,” said Lucian and he and Amy approached along with several other parents. “I half expected to see a clown out here.”

“EEP!”

Everyone looked to the source of the noise to find a shaking prickly white ball that had a party hat on it at an angle.

“It’s ok Gleam,” said Rouge as she knelt at the ball. “There are no scary clowns here.”

The ball uncurled enough for a pair of blue eyes to peek out. “No clowns?”

“No clowns, you can come out of Roly Town.”

“Hey Gleam!” little Lara-Su yelled as she ran up. “You don’t want to be like that when Prism Pals comes on!”

The little white hedgehog uncurled. “Yea! Come on Dusk!” She ran off with Lara and her brother as the two girls giggled.

“Ugh,” Shadow grumbled. “We come for a party, and they all want to watch TV.”

“Hey, it’s a very wholesome show,” said Julie. “Plus, it’s the most popular cartoon with kids their age right now, it’s not Sonic’s fault Sonia and Manik’s birthday is on the same day a new episode is airing.”

“I expected to go through life protecting this world for Maria’s wish, I didn’t think I’d end up intimately knowing who Bluey Bushfemur and Goldie Wingspanner are.”

“What I don’t get is this clown thing,” said Knuckles as he came up. “I don’t recall her being afraid of them before when she and her brother stayed with us while you investigated that smuggling ring on the island.”

Shadow growled. “It started when Hope came for a visit, and she brought Roman with her. He thought frightening my children with a fanged clown mask was as funny as hell. I…convinced him it wasn’t.”

Sonic groaned. “How old is Roman now, thirteen? Hope has the patience of saint adopting Snively and Regina’s kid, it’s just too bad by the time she was old enough to do it he already had a number on done on him while he was shuffled around in the foster system.”

“I feel so bad for Hope,” said Sally. “Her brother asked her to do one thing for him that didn’t involve his ambitions for world domination, that he and Regina realized their son would be better off not emulating his parents, but it seems despite her best-efforts Roman has all Snively and Regina’s spite but none of their brains or ambitions. It’s like he doesn’t want to be anything other than a common thug.”

“Well hopefully that was the kick in the pants Roman needs to straighten up,” said Rouge. “With a baby of her own now on the way the last thing Hope needs is another visit from Roman’s parole officer.”

“Hurry up everyone!” Sonia said as every kid at the party began running. “It’s gonna start!”

Soon several children were sitting on the grass as upbeat music played and colorful cartoon characters danced on the screen while the children sang along.

“Clear blue skies and warm sunny days,

We have to find the light within,

For whatever comes our way,

Our great adventure’s about to begin…”

“Ok, they’ll be occupied for a half-hour,” said Sally. “If the rest of you would step aside Sonic and I have something to say to you all.”

The parents all came a distance away from the party, Sally cleared her throat. “Our children turn five years old today, the same age Sonic and I were when…when everyone’s world turned upside down,” Sally looked at Antione, Bunnie and Rotor. “A lot you were that same age,” She then looked at Big, Rouge, Knuckles, Geoffrey and Hershey. “Some of you were older,” Now she looked at Tails, Fiona and Ray. “Some of you were younger,” Now Nicole, Cream, Silver, Blaze and Gold. “Some weren’t even born yet,” now to Shadow and Julie-Su. “And some were under circumstances where normal time didn’t apply.”

“Thing is our lives were for the most part defined ever since by what Robotnick did to our homes and families,” said Sonic. “But for the last six years every child born knows nothing about what it’s like firsthand to suffer under war or tyranny. That I think is the greatest accomplishment all our many years of fighting and rebuilding gave us. Six years of peace, at first I thought the adventures were over, but I don’t have to tell you that going to the supermarket a with toddler or two is no less an adventure than looking for a Chaos Emerald in an ancient ruin or spying in an enemy base.” The two began passing out plastic cups filled with soda. “So, we like to propose a toast, to the quiet life and all the adventures that brings.”

“Hear, hear!” all the adults said.

“Aw! Come on!” whined the children from the party. “Bring it back!”

“Case in point,” said Sonic.

As they came back Sonia looked up to Sally. “Mama! Some weird thing took away the Prism Pals! What is it?!”

On the screen there was an emblem of a black gear with metallic dragon wings with a lightning bolt going through the hole in the middle.

Sally growled. “That sweetie, is the other shoe dropping.”

Sonic looked around as every display on the nearby buildings shown the same thing. “Whatever it is, it’s probably happening everywhere.”

The image wavered until the face of Viktor Robotnick appeared sitting back behind a high-tech desk. “Greetings Mobius it’s been a while, hasn’t it? Almost half a year for me, but from what I gathered quite a bit longer for you. Some of you might have even forgotten me so let me reintroduce myself I am Viktor Robotnick, the soon to be ruler of this planet.

“You thought you were rid of me and thinking that you let yourselves get soft and complacent after mopping up the remnants of my army. I have climbed up to a world power from a similar position before and rest assured, I will do so again. However, if you think you can still stop me, I am extending an open invitation to the Freedom Fighters, Chaotix and other perennial thorns in my side. Meet me at the coordinates now appearing on your screen if you wish to capture or just chat with me. This message will repeat until replied to.”

The message began to loop. “Daddy,” asked Sonia. “We’re all sacred,” said Sonia. “What’s happening?”

Sally knelt to look her daughter in the eye. “Well, a very bad man your mommies and daddies fought for a very long time has come back.”

“We all began to think he’d be gone for a long, long time, maybe even forever,” said Sonic. “But now he’s come back to try and take over the world again. Unless we go and stop him, a lot of people could get hurt. It could get very scary, and we don’t want to leave you at your birthday but if we don’t…”

“That’s ok Dad!” said Manik. “You’re super-fast and super, super cool! You can just beat him and come right back!”

“Yeah!” said Lara. “My daddy’s a guardian, that means he can beat up any bad guy!”

“Yeah, you’re the bestest!”

“Mommy is a hero!”

“You can stop that meanie!”

“Our moms and dads can do anything!”

Sonic chuckled. “You kids are right; I can beat that pencil neck in no time flat.”

“In fact,” said Sally. “I bet we can do it so fast we’ll be there and back in time for birthday cake!”

“YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!”

Sally turned to the Babylon Rouges. “Watch over kids while we’re gone. We need someone to keep an eye on things here.”

“Not a problem,” said Jet. “You got this.”

“I’ll get in touch with Abby too,” said Julie. “Our housekeeper is really good with kids, that should keep everyone out of trouble.”

“Watch out Mr. Perfect,” Sonic said he limbered up. “You’re getting your own present for my kids’ birthday, but you’re not going to like it.”


The Colossus had landed in an open field about an hour away from Freedom City. The Chaotix and Freedom Fighters met not even a token resistance as they walked through the battleship that clearly had been augmented with alien technology. Soon the group had stepped onto the bridge were Viktor and Lilith looked down at them from a raised command chair. “My old nemeses, thank you accepting my invitation, especially you Sonic.”

 Brutus stepped up with several neoswats and upgraded combots. “Ready to fire on your orders sir.”

“Not just yet commander, I didn’t ask for Sonic to leave his children’s fifth birthday just to shoot him.”

“Wait a minute,” said Sonic. “How do you know about Sonia and Manik?”

“Because I told him,” A gruff, cracking voice said. A buff but gangly overlander teenaged boy with a mop of red hair stepped out. “I told him about everything that’s happened since he left, including your snot nosed little brats!”

Shadow growled and clenched his fist. “Roman Kintobor, you’re in WAY over your head this time!”

“That’s Roman Robotnick to you, you fuzzy little edge lord! Ain’t that right Uncle Viktor?”

Robotick groaned. “I’m not your uncle, I’m your employer.”

Roman pointed at the scientist. “Right, keep it professional.”

“Don’t do this Roman,” said Sally. “This would devastate your aunt Hope, she didn’t want you to be like your parents.”

“She’s got it wrong, she’s the one who’s like them, CAUSE THEY’RE ALL LOSERS! She could’ve been a big shot with her inventions but was too worried about being like some dead guys, my old man and lady tried to be big shots but couldn’t cut the mustard. Me? I’m going places, by hitching my wagon to a winner.”

“Right, becoming a hired goon to a megalomanic,” said Sonic. “You ‘win’.”

“Seems like scaring sense into you didn’t work,” said Shadow as he cracked his knuckles. “Time for more drastic correction.”

Roman began backpedaling. “I-I ain’t afraid of you! I got guts!” Roman began giggling as the came to the edge again. “Then again maybe I don’t need ‘em cause you old dudes have more than enough guts to spare!” Roman was now roaring with laughter.

Sonic poked his stomach, there was more give than he would have wanted.

“And the old ladies you brought are all swinging a lot of junk in the trunk, guess that’s why they call it childREARING!”

Roman was now laughing like a hyena while the hands of an incensed Sally unconsciously tried to cover her rear and she noticed the girls with longer tails were using them to cover their butts as well.

“That’s the best you got?” said Sonic. “We’re old, we’re fat? Sure, peace might have left us a tiny bit soft around the edges but I’m still hard core.”

“Well… that core’s only hard cause…cause…”

“Roman,” said Lilith. “Do us all a favor and shut up.”

The bully slunk back humiliated.

“Now I get why my predecessors preferred potential traitors than loyal morons,” said Viktor. “You always know that a traitor will be treacherous, but you can never predict exactly WHEN a moron will be moronic.”

“Just tell us what you want Viktor,” said Sally. “By now every military on Mobius is zeroing in on you, whatever plan you have for revenge it will never work. The age of a Robotnick terrorizing the world ended six years ago, give up while you still can.”

“Oh, I still have a few tricks up my sleeve,” Viktor then hit a button on his chair. “Synaptix, now!” Nothing happened for a few seconds. “Synaptix!”

Then all the monitors in the room changed to display a strange creature that had three eyes, the thing’s leftmost one however looked scarred.

“Sorry doctor but I haven’t actually gotten around to setting that little trap you wanted. I have waited too long for this, too long in vain for my arrogant species to see the brilliance of my chaos energy research was worth the ‘unacceptable risk’, too long to accept a life sentence for ‘illegal and cruel experiments’, too long to not take the opportunity of getting your ship fit for a trans-galactic voyage, and too long to wait for you take over an insignificant blue marble. No, the keys to harnessing the full power of the greatest energy source in the universe are right here and I’m taking them now! So, enjoy coming home only for your sworn enemies to have their way with you, now I must be going with a few of your robots or I’m going to be late for the party! Nehahahahaha!”

Viktor was growling, his eyes black and red. “Synaptix you conniving, miserable little…”

“Guess loyal morons are better after all!” said Roman. “Wait, that came out wrong.”

“Last chance Mr. Perfect,” said Sonic. “Come quietly or things get ugly.”

“You dolts,” Viktor smirked. “Didn’t you hear what that miserable little cockroach said? He didn’t want to ‘be late for the party’. Since some of the most powerful adapts able to channel the Chaos Force are in this room and he’s not going after them, what sort of party would have potential adapts that are far more vulnerable?”

Nearly everyone gained a horrified look. “No,” croaked Sally. “Manik, Sonia, THE KIDS!”

Sonic look at Robotnick with pure hatred. “Viktor if anything happens to my son or daughter because of the alien creep YOU brought here so help me…!”

“What would you rather do?” said Viktor. “Threaten me, or use your speed to get to the children while there is still a chance to save them?”

Knuckles opened a warp ring and soon the team that came to fight Viktor was out of the ship.

“Uh what now Uncle Viktor?” asked Roman.

“Should I send a squad to bring in that traitor Synaptix?” said Brutus.

Viktor made an arch with his fingertips. “No, this was unexpected, but I can already see how we can use it to make an effective ‘plan b’. Get ready for takeoff, once the Freedom Fighters have left.”


The next moment they were all back at a now ruined party, only the unconscious Babylon Rouges in sight.

“Sonia! Manik!”

“Gleam! Dusk!”

“Astral! Flare!”

“Melody!”

“M-Mr. Knuckles…” came a weak groan by the deflated bounce castle.

The Guardain tossed the inflatable away exposing a brown furred Koala woman with several bruises. “Abby!? Where are the kids?!”

Abby coughed. “I was passing out Buttercorn and Jellystars for the children when this…monster came with robots. Mr. Jet and the others tried to fight him, but he used knockout gas. I grabbed a branch to whack him, he threw me I hit my head. The children, he took them, all of them, I couldn’t see where they went. He was calling them ‘test subjects’…I’m so sorry.”

Shadow let out a shout that felt more like a roar. “SYNAPTIX!!!”


“After that you all spent every waking moment, and several where you should have been sleeping, trying to find where Synaptix had taken the kids. Because of the secrecy needed to find that twisted fiend they called it the Veiled Operation. But after the first week with no luck everyone began taking more drastic measures.”

A heavy-set yak thug was flung into a wall, a before his Iguana cohort could flee a boot came down on his neck.

“I’m falling into old habits but it’s going to be worth it,” Lien-Da said as Fintivus glared at the Iguana with an intent that was no less potent for now having normal eyes and teeth.

“If you don’t want your medical insurance rates going through the roof then tell us where you’ve been selling stolen lab equipment.”

Lein-Da activated her electro whip and dangled it very close to the Yak’s face. “Tell us where he has taken our Miracle Boy.”

“People began noticing a change in temperament of you all.”

“Chief this paper trial is taking us nowhere,” an agent said. “Maybe we should call it a day and come back with fresh eyes…”

“I don’t want any excuses!” yelled Geoffrey. “Children are being experimented on; MY children are being experimented on! Go over the leads we have, that doesn’t pan out check them again and if you still don’t find anything CHECK THEM AGAIN! We are not stopping until they’re all safe and sound in their parents’ arms again!”

“But as bad things were for you, they were even worse for the kids.”

The three-year-old Candy looked up into the glaring light as Synaptix’s voice came out over a speaker while a pair of robots stood over her. “Subject 22, Candy the Cat. Beginning daily evaluation.”

“I’m so hungry,” Candy muttered weakly.

“Physical and mental prowess has improved under pressure but remains within the Mobian baseline, no signs of latent adapt powers triggering. Rations remain at minimal for nutritional sufficiency until noticeable result recorded.”

“Please Mister, it hurts so much.”

“Reinforcement was compromised when subjects performing well enough to get improved rations for making satisfactory progress shared their increased portions with the under performers. All subjects are now isolated when not in active testing. 22 has shown an 150% increase in motivation.”

“When can I go home? I want my mommy and daddy.”

The robots then grabbed Candy firmly and stretched her arm out.

“22 was treated with test serum beta, beginning extraction of blood sample to monitor changes from the control sample.”

Candy’s eyes widened in fear. “No! No more needles please! Mommy, daddy, big brother!”


Back in the present Kneecaps had slumped down to the floor. “Even now they never told us everything that happened in that house of horrors, probably for the best. The public was kept in the dark as much as possible, if was found out the heroes of the whole world had lost their children and couldn’t find them it might have started global scale panic. We were just about to finish middle school at the time, if we weren’t as close to your families as we were we’d have been just as in the dark. But then after about a month since the abductions, you found the hole Synaptix was hiding in.”


The elevator door into the abandoned mine opened as the robots standing guard were knocked several feet away in just as many pieces. “LARA!!!”

The Echidna rushed forward destroying the robots that showed up to stop him as Shadow, Tails and Sonic followed right behind him. The three had begun opening doors, behind each was  child that started crying in relief.

“Daddy!” Sonia and Manik ran up to Sonic and hugged his legs tightly.

“Sonia, Manik!” Sonic gripped them tight tears streaming from his face. “I’m sorry! I’m so sorry it took so long to find you!”

“Daddy?” Lara said as she came to him in a daze. “What are we doing here? We’re going to late of Sonia and Manik’s birthday.”

“Don’t worry angel,” Knuckels said stroking the hair of cleary traumatized daughter. “We’re all getting out of here and you’ll never have to come back ever again.”

“Papa!” Dusk clung onto Shadow tightly. “There’s a scary monster guy, he made us take these tests that hurt, we were so hungry all the time and…”

“Dusk I’m ecstatic you’re alive but I have to ask you something very important. Where is your sister?”

Dusk pointed a trembling finger to a door at the far end of the room. “The monster guy took her there not long ago, he said she’d be the first for something called ‘the key X-parry-mint’ I think.”

“Key experiment?!” before handing Dusk off to Knuckles. “Hang on Gleam! Papa’s coming!”

Shadow then broke down the door and ran into the darkness.


“The Freedom Fighters were very tight lipped about what went on in that room,” said Jackie. “All we ever found out was that while Shadow, Gleam and Synaptix were in there Shadow and Gleam were the only ones who ever came out.”

“Before all that Gleam was timid and shy,” said Aurora. “But once she knew you were a good person she so bright and fun loving. What whatever nightmare happened in that place Shadow took Gleam and they both vanished, Rouge never said where they went but she insisted they’d be back and about a year later they returned.  But instead of that sunny little goofball we got… well the Gleam you’ve all met.”

Knuckles looked like he was about to throw up. “I don’t know what I’d rather do, forget so I’d be able to meet Lara-Su blissfully ignorant of that nightmare or remember so I’d stay back and kill that THING before he lays finger on any of them!”

Shadow clenched his fist. “I’d change it but I’m not sure we have that right, sometime being the good guy sucks.”

“Something you all were made all too aware of that day,” said Alexis. “Given what happened right afterwards.”


Outside the mine parents and children tightly embraced. “It’s alright,” Bunnie said. “Mama’s gotcha, Mama’s gotcha.”

“My precious little gems!” Rouge wept.

Suddenly a shadow fell over them, looking up Sonic saw Viktor and Lilith descending in a flying pod backed up by several aviator swats. Viktor had his characteristic smirk. “You don’t know how long I waited for this.”

Sonic clenched his fists and teeth. “You really want to do this now?! Go in there and ask what’s left of Synaptix if we’re the mood to be merciful!”

Viktor landed and stepped out of his pod. “Oh, sure attack you when you’re hopped up on adrenaline, your protective instincts are at their peak and when you’re driven, dedicated, and morally righteous. That’s not the best tactical move, after all…” Viktor extended his hand to Sally like he was expecting her to shake it. “…a deal is a deal.”

Sally reluctantly stopped hugging her children stood up and to everyone’s surprise took Viktor’s hand. “As much as I now loathe myself, I have to admit we couldn’t have done this without you.”

“What are you talking about!?” asked Ray. “I thought it was the Secret Freedom Fighters and the Shinobi clan working together that found this place!”

“Even then they couldn’t determine how an alien like Synaptix thinks, we needed someone who was familiar with Synaptix and the only ones who fit that bill were these two.”

“Naturally we wanted to make him pay for abandoning us for his own goals,” said Lilith. “But this knowledge was better used as leverage.”

“Knowing the potential of our kids had I convinced the governments to clandestinely agree to their demands,” Sally grumbled. “In exchange for their help we let them have the ruins of Megaopolis and full recognition of the Robotnick Ascendancy as a legitimate government.”

“Which in turn gives us diplomatic immunity,” said Viktor. “Since haven’t officially been at war for six years that means you can’t touch us.”

Knuckles growled as he looked Julie soothe a still shaken Lara. “The thing that sickens me most, is that I agree with you. This is a betrayal of everything we ever fought for but as a father if I were in your position, I’d do it in a heartbeat, and I know everyone with a child here would have done the same.”

“So, we have a city to call our own and you have your progeny returned to you, everybody wins.”

“Shut it Mr. Perfect,” growled Sonic. “We know this isn’t over, you’re going to try the same thing again sooner or later. Probably more quietly for as long as you can but this is still the same game with only one major change. Everything you do from now on, everyone who gets hurt because of it, that’s on our heads now so when you cross the line it’s going to be personal. I was told that the dimensional zones have been revolving around some form of our conflict, but I don’t want to keep fighting you forever and I sure don’t want you to win. Someday, somehow we’ll both be free.”

“If that’s what you have to tell yourself,” Viktor turned and went back into the pod. “For today however, take your children home.”

Robotnick and his forces then left. Sonic gave a heavy sigh. “Come on Freedom Fighters, let’s go home.”

As everyone began to leave Sally suddenly stopped as she hugged Sonia and Manik. “No, no I can’t do this again!”

Sonic turned surprised. “Sal what are you…?”

“I was free, I was happy, I had two wonderful children, I didn’t need anything else! They all had their innocence stripped away from them just like ours was! Are they going to grow up fighting our old battles?! I saw too much death, too many people lose their way with little choice, and I just can’t do it all again!”

Sonia looked up worried. “What do ya mean Mama?”

“I can’t be on the frontlines anymore; we have peaceful lives, and I don’t want us to lose them. I will always be for freedom…” Sally let the ring blades fall from her wrists and clatter on the ground. “But I’m done with fighting.”

“Mama…”

Cream took Skye and Taffy and stood next to Sally. Right after that Antoine and Bunnie took their children and did the same followed by Nicole and Shard, Mina and Ash, Big and Gold and more until only the stronger adepts were not in the mix.

Sonic sighed. “I want to just say screw it too, but I with my gifts, I can’t just standby.”

“And I don’t blame you for it,” said Sally.  “We’re just are going to do our parts in other ways. Maybe just having the strongest among us ready to act when something does happen is the best thing now. It may be a false peace, but it’s better than dragging these little ones through another war, especially after all they suffered now.”


Back in the present Eddie looked over to a sunset. “And we pretty much had been in a cold war ever since. Viktor would hatch a plan in the shadows and the Freedom Fighters who were left would stop it and try to connect it to him but haven’t been successful on that front.”

Sally looked down dejected. “No wonder Sonia said her mother, that I, gave up. I still can’t imagine working with the AI that manipulated me, that was based on the worst dictator of our time. Everything that happened to those children, if we know and don’t do anything to change it wouldn’t we be just as responsible as that monster?”

Sonic looked at her resolutely. “Once we can get them home, we’ll let them decide. They’d be ones most effected, seems only right they’d make the final call.”

“It’s that simple to you?” said Alexis. “Just ‘go with what the kids want’? Do you really think they are mature enough to make such a decision?”

“We’ve had to make similar decisions since we were even younger than them. I get they might think that what they went through made them who they are, but they might also not want to have dealt with something that bad. Silver and the others might not like it but it’s the kids’ future might as well make it their choice, but not one they have to make alone, we’ll help them through it.”

“Looks like we’re going to have a lot to discuss with the others,” said Shadow. “We should have some sort of plan by tomorrow.”

“In any case we’ll be working to get you home too,” said Sally.

“Thanks,” said Kneecaps. “But I think the kids shouldn’t know that you know what we told you, for now at least. They’ve already been through a lot lately and digging up old wounds at this point will hurt more than it will help.”

“Sure,” said Knuckles. “When they’re ready they’ll let us know.”


The Freedom Fighters had gathered all the future parents outside The Hideaway. “So now that we’ve all had a chance to get used to this let’s get to brass tacks about how to handle these kids,” said Silver.

“I can block all memories you’re going to have of them and anything else about the future until it’s already past, but with that…” She looked away sadly. “…very disturbing part we have to be very careful on whether or not to interfere.”

“That comes later,” said Sally. “For now, we have to get to an arrangement on how to get them ready for whatever the titans have planned for them. I’m afraid you’re all going to have to stay here for a while.”

No one noticed Grace had just come out a side entrance and hid herself in the nearby bushes.

“Not necessarily,” said Knuckles. “Those who need to be on Angel Island, or the Sol Kingdom can use warp rings as needed, the only problem is until Finitivus can make more we’re down to two and as a guardian I need a fast means of travel on me at all times.”

Fiona then gave a nervous laugh. “Funny you should mention that, could this help?”

Fiona then reached into her pocket and pulled out a small green gem with a yellow starburst pattern inside.

Knuckles gave a grumpy growl. “My old Guiding Star Gem, I thought I lost that. Where did you get it?”

“Remember when I was on Angel Island during all the… unpleasantness?” Knuckles shot an angry glare. “Stupid question of course you do. Anyway, while Finitivus held you prisoner I thought it’d be a pretty souvenir, so I ‘borrowed’ it while you were occupied with all that. It wasn’t until during the Phantom Ruby War I figured out what it did, saved my neck a couple of times. I was going to give it back to you a few months ago then things started getting crazy and it just slipped my mind until…”

Knuckles snatched the gemstone from Fiona. “This was a gift from someone important to my people who’s gone now, this had better be the last ‘souvenir’ like this you got from my home, liaison.”

“Hey I’m sorry! No need to bite my head off!”

Grace still hidden then began thinking to herself. “Mom, my goody two-shoes mom, actually STOLE something and she’s always getting on me for ‘acting like a criminal’!? I don’t know what surprises me more, that she actually broke a rule or that from the looks of things she was just as much of an adventurer as Dad.” The little vixen quietly slipped back into the hideaway.

“Well at least we settled that,” said Blaze. “Now fulfilling our duties while keeping the kids together should be easier. Knowing what we do now about them we can start figuring out how to get them ready.”

“And once L’s recovered enough to help us decode the capsule, we’ll know exactly to make sure they don’t have to see the Imperium tear apart everything we sacrificed so much to build,” said Tails.


The sun was beginning to go down as Sonic and Sally came into their apartment. “Whew,” Sonic said as he closed the door behind him. “For a day where not much happened it sure feels exhausting. Having your future laid out like that, really takes a number huh?”

“Sonic,” Sally said grasping his hand. “Thank you.”

The hedgehog raised an eyebrow. “For what exactly?”

“Taking such a hard a heavy choice and giving it to the ones it would affect those most even if though they might be ready yet. It reminded me that I can’t take charge of my destiny while being afraid of the future. How can we expect them to do that if I’m afraid if I don’t do things the right way they’ll vanish?

Sally took Sonic’s hand and led him to their bedroom. “So, I’m not going to doubt myself, we’ll move forward starting now.”

After Sonic was brought in Sally closed the door, turned out the lights then moved to draw the curtains. “Wait, you want to do this now?”

After Sally drew the curtains, she began got a few candles and began placing them around the room lighting them as she went. “Well, if they’re going to be born we’ll have to do this eventually, might as well get some practice in the meantime. So we’re going to undress and ‘untuck’ and finally have our wedding night.”

Sonic put his finger on her lips. “No words for now, we take this slow. Let me know if I please you or hurt you and I will do the same.”

They kissed each other deeply. “You’re right, no words. Whatever else is happening in the world, in the universe it can wait.”

In the dim light they knew each other more intimately than they ever had before. The universe could wait.


On the distant world of Argentum, a door opened to the bunker Ceneca-9009 had been hiding in for over a year now, a shelter that kept her safe when the Black Arms and Xorda brought their world to her world. The four-armed green reptilian creature looked up the databook she was reading to see an identical looking creature, natural since her species had for ages reproduced by cloning.

“Ceneca-10050, what brings you out here?”

“The same thing that has preoccupied the rest of our sisters for some time,” the identical Bem said. “The devastation of Argentum and the precarious state of the Galaxy.”

Ceneca-9009 sighed as she closed the book. “I guess I can’t hide any longer, it is time for my execution.”

“On the contrary,” said 10050. “Circumstances have presented themselves that altered the High Council’s decision on you, I am here to pronounce their new decision. Instead of death you are to hereby be exiled from Argentum. You have been given an assignment of the utmost importance. It is vital to the stability of the Milky Way; you have been deemed the most suited to complete it and only upon its successful conclusion will you be permitted to return. Do this and the High Council will pardon you for your previous behavior.”

9009 dropped her book. “I…thank you, I will not let my sisters down when they need me the most. When am I to depart?”

“As soon as you can, gather what possessions you can for an interstellar voyage and meet me outside.

9009 took what little she felt she had and packed them in a bag. On leaving the bunker for the damaged surface of Argentum she found 10050 waiting. “I’m ready, what is my assignment?”

10050 handed took out a PDA and swiped it. “I have transferred the needed records to your own device, read it when you have a moment. For now, however you are to follow their instructions.”

10050 stood aside and an alien unlike any 9009 had seen before. “You are to board our ship and guide to the planet you call Mobius.

Chapter 30: Spell N Bee

Summary:

While the Future Freedom Fighters start their training a sudden mission to help an old friend turns into both a chance for the kids to return home and change Charmy's life forever.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Chapter 29

Spell N’ Bee

Sonic was still grinning ear to ear as he stepped out of the bathroom despite having a few bruises. “Last night was… wow. Not perfect, but we’re learning.”

“I didn’t even mind falling off the bed,” Sally said as she pulled a blue quill from her shoulder. “But seriously watch where those things are going, acupuncture isn’t something I’d like with my ‘happy ending’.”

Just then a screen on a wall lit up and began beeping. “Call from King Acorn. Call from King Acorn.”

Sally quickly slipped her jacket on, best to ease her father into the reality that she was not strictly a ‘maiden’ anymore. Sonic pushed a button as King Max appeared. “Hey pop, good morning!”

Max grumbled. “I know we’re in-laws now but it’s still a little too early to be this causal, especially given the reason I’m calling.”

“What’s wrong daddy?” asked Sally.

“We just received a message from the Dragon Empress, in couple of days she will be hosting a ceremony to officially mark the reunification of the western and eastern dragons of Mobius and has requested you both to be in attendance to represent the Acorn Republic personally.”

“But Dulcy was at our wedding,” said Sonic. “Why didn’t she ask us then?”

“I think I know,” Sally sighed. “She found out we had to cancel our Honeymoon and she felt so bad for us that she’s asking us to come to a do-nothing diplomatic mission that’s actually a surprise vacation to have in its place. Her heart’s in the right place but now isn’t a good time.”

“Still, I think you should both go anyway,” said Max. “The last time the two dragon clans fought their lands were so devastated they put themselves into exile even as their schism continued. Besides a united race of dragons would be a strong deterrent against the Ascendency from attacking the area, leaving the Dragon Kingdom Freedom Fighters more able to aid neighboring divisions.”

Sonic nodded. “Then I guess we better start packing, besides somebody needs to keep Ken Khan from flying off the handle.”

“He’s grown past that, mostly,” said Sally. “We’ll accept the assignment Father and try to return as soon as etiquette allows.”

“Thank you and good luck.” The screen went blank.

“What about Sonia and Manik?” asked Sonic. “We were supposed to start training them today, not to mention if The Rectifiers show up. Those jerks are still looking for the emeralds.”

Sally moved for the closet. “We’ll just have to have the rest of the team cover for us until we get back. As for the Rectifiers if they’re after the emeralds then sooner or later they’ll try to take the yellow Sol Emerald Blaze has back on the Sol Islands. She told me that she wanted us to hold onto it after it’s used for some important ceremony in a few days. Between the security here and the fact that it’s in public display in Blaze’s Palace we’ll be able to move the moment the Rectifiers show up.”

“Well, if that’s the best we can hope for then we better start packing, thankfully since we haven’t gotten word from the future freaks or Mr. Perfect today looks to be as uneventful as yesterday.”


Mellow got up with a yawn and then flew into the main area of the hideaway. “Morning everyone!”

“Hey Mellow,” Soar grumbled.

“Something wrong?”

“It’s just we’ll have to spend the rest of our summer break doing some sort of training regimen,” said Tide. “We were looking forward to having the time after camp to basically just goof off.”

“It’s not exactly like that,” Alan said from the computer. “We didn’t go back exactly twenty years; it’s late spring right now. We could go home and still have the rest of vacation to…”

“When in late spring!?” Flare said as she came up.

“Hang on I’ll look it up, this computer was made in the federation, so it defaults to some old calendar that divides the year to twelve roughly thirty-day months based on the cycles of our natural moon. Let me change it to the mobian common calendar based on ninety-one day long seasonal months and…”

On seeing the date Flare squealed ecstatically. “It’s almost here! The Gemfire Ball!”

“Really?!” said Astral. “Another one is coming so soon for us.”

“So, some kind of fancy hoity-toity party?” asked Gale.

Flare growled as she looked at Gale. “The Gemfire Ball is only THE biggest event on the Sol Empire’s social calendar! In the morning the reigning monarch does the Gemfire Ceremony, a very important spiritual sacrament we observe to give thanks for the previous year’s blessings, then for the rest of the day is the Gemfire Festival where the common folk celebrate their good fortune but for nobility the best part is the Gemfire Ball! A night of well-mannered frivolity, the most amazing banquet followed by dancing. Oh, all the stories of true love at first sight, the elegance, the glamour and the finest of fineries!”

“But Mother and Father always just had a governess watch us while they went to the party,” Astral grumbled. “Kept saying we weren’t mature enough yet and that it wasn’t all the storybooks made it out to be.”

“Well since they’re younger maybe they’ll be a bit more permissive, who knows if we can also score Aleena an invite, she can give me a heads up on the latest fashions before anyone else when we get home!”

“That does sound cool.” said Mellow. “Hey Alan, can you change it to the noble’s calendar? I want to check something myself.”

The lynx began changing the settings again. “Just one year with three hundred and sixty-five days, common for Mobian record keeping but most find it…”

Mellow shoved Alan out of the way as he got a closer look at the date. “Wait, it’s TODAY!?! I GOTTA GO!”

“Wait!” said Soar. “What’s today?!”

“No time! I gotta find Mom and Dad! We were supposed to go over flying maneuvers, but this is WAY more important!”

Mellow then zipped out the door.


“YEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!”

Skye crashed out of the air and into a tree, Tails came up and helped him get untangled from the branches. “That was a nice effort, you just tend to overcorrect on your turns.”

Skye sighed as he looked down. “At least I’m getting better, used to be when I messed up I’d mix up my signals and I end up spinning my whole body EXCEPT my tails. If Taffy wasn’t there to help, I think I still wouldn’t get anywhere without making myself dizzy.”

“How about we take a break? I need to get back to working on that data capsule anyway.”

“Maybe you could ask Miss Kintobor about it?” Skye said as he and Tails began walking down the path. “I mean she should know more about Robotnick stuff than anyone.”

Tails shook his head. “We already tried, but while we were dealing with The Rectifiers the United Federation called her on some other assignment. Whatever it is they’re very hush-hush about it she’s under total radio silence. But that’s a pretty good idea, maybe you can help us out with the capsule.”

“Yeah,” Skye looked away and muttered. “Maybe.”

Tails came up to Charmy and Saffron who had a Miles Electric. “Skye was making great time,” Saffron said as she tapped the screen. Giant rings floating in the air disappeared.  “Setting this up to make a holographic obstacle course was a great idea.”

“Well, I made the Miles Electric to very versatile,” said Tails. “Sometimes I’m afraid of overusing it but it was one of my better inventions.”

“It’s ok I guess,” said Skye.

Tails turned around looking frustrated. “What you mean OK!? This is cutting edge stuff here!”

“Well, it’s no Electric Five…”

“As in Miles Electric version five?” Tails regained his composure. “Well obviously you shouldn’t just rest on your laurels, improvements can always be made, and new iterations should always seek to be a better version of what came before. Just be thankful for the roots of a technology, judge it by what it was at the moment, not the present or future in this case.”

“Hey!” Mellow flew in.

“Ah you’re just in time!” said Charmy. “Ready to give this flying course a whirl?”

“Actually, I can wait until tomorrow,” Mellow said rubbing the back of his head. “I know I just came in, but I wouldn’t want you to cancel any plans you had for today…”

“It’s no problem,” Saffron patted Mellow on the head. “We didn’t have anything planned after Sonic and Sally’s wedding. You’re not interrupting anything.”

“Nothing?!” Mellow then took a deep breath. “Well then there’s nothing stopping you from say…taking a trip to Mercia, maybe have a nice picnic next to Never Lake!”

“Are you trying to get out of training?” said Tails. “With The Rectifiers out there Lara and the others need you to be in top shape. Aren’t you worried about them?”

“I-I…” Mellow then smiled. “You’re right we should get to training; hey I just had a great idea! Why don’t we train at Never Lake, it should be beautiful this time of year!”

“Why do you want us to go to Never Lake so badly?” said Charmy. “Little Planet won’t show up there for months and there isn’t any real reason it would be any better than right here.”

Mellow kicked the ground. “I…I can’t tell you.”

“Mellow, whatever is going on we need to know, now.”

Suddenly there the sounds of people screaming came from nearby followed by a massive bestial roar.

“Ok, maybe not right this second.”

They all moved in the direction of the roar. Towering above them was a massive creature with red tentacles coming from its head. It turned around and roared.

“Wait, Knuckles?!” said Charmy on seeing the giant beast that seemed to share the Echidna’s face. “What happened to him?!”

“We’ll figure that out later!” said Tails. “Now we have to keep him from hurting anybody!” Tails flew up to the creature’s face. “Hey! Knux can you recognize me?!”

“Grrragh!” the creature raised an enormous, spiked fist.

Suddenly the monster’s fist was covered in a sticky, silk-like thread. Tails looked up to see another giant creature, it looked like a giant moth that even now was spinning a second strand of silk around the Knuckles monster’s other fist, the only part that didn’t look moth-like was its head which made Tails gasp.

“No Cream! Not you too!”

“Reeeeeeeaaaaa!” The Cream moth gave a strange screech as the Knuckles-beast pulled back.

“Don’t worry, I’ll handle this!” Just then Sonic wearing green and yellow armor came up by Charmy, Saffron, Skye and Mellow.

The quartet moved back. “What in the…?!”

“Maurice!” Sonic said as he took a strange device from his pocket and began fiddling with a knob on it. “Get ready to lead them to the portal!”

A second sonic wearing green pants, a green shirt, a red bow tie and a pair of nez pince glasses. “Simple now they’re distracted by each other Zonic.” He pulled out a ball covered in lights. “This holographic emitter should do the trick!”

An orb of light flew in front of the Cream-moth’s eyes It then began to look like a tiny version of Vanilla. The Cream-moth was enraptured by the sight while the Knuckles-giant began pulling back.

Zonic tapped his gauntlet and a giant portal opened. “NOW!”

Maurice pushed a button on a remote and the hologram flew into the portal; the Cream-moth flew to follow taking the Knuckles beast along towing it by its silk covered fists. Zonic then pushed a button on his device closing the portal.

“There,” said Zonic. “That’s that.”

“What do you mean that’s that?!” yelled Tails. “I get now that those weren’t our Cream and Knuckles but what was going on here Zonic?!”

“Calm down Tails,” Zonic said waving him down. “Those creatures are inhabitants of a Zone where Mobians, having been confined to a single island, were mutated into giant creatures by the energies of the Chaos Emeralds. We were chasing down a criminal that fled there trying to give us the slip and she brought them with her here as a diversion.”

“It’s my fault,” said Maurice. “She played the wounded gazelle and I fell for it despite my intellect.”

A look of realization came across Charmy’s face. “So, you’re another sonic from a different zone?”

The glasses wearing hedgehog nodded. “You can call me Maurice, I from Zone 9,318,054 according to the Zone Cop databanks but we prefer to call it Knowbius. We have dedicated ourselves to the collection and archiving of knowledge from all zones.”

“So, everyone where you’re from is a super smart genius?” asked Skye.

“Not everyone,” said Maurice. “Otherwise, who would run the cafes for much needed tea breaks?”

“Not to be rude but we have more to do here than chase down a criminal,” said Zonic. “We’re also on an important mission, one Despair Kintobor is actively interfering with.”

“Let me guess,” said Charmy. “She’s the Hope Kintobor from Moebius.”

“Got it in one,” said Maurice. “I actually feel sorry for the poor girl, her people tricked into a harsh life underground by Jules Hedgehog under the guise of a peace treaty. Growing up in such a state made her especially bitter towards Moebians, bitter enough to try to prevent her uncle Ivo’s plan to restore them completely.”

“But I thought they were devolved for too long after Specter made Mammoth use a gene bomb on them!” Tails exclaimed. “How can Doctor Kintobor get their minds back?!”

Zonic gave a stern look. “We’ll explain soon, but first we must speak with Merlin Prower, if anyone can help us find what we’re looking for in this zone, what Despair intends to destroy, it’s him.”


In a basement room of the Council Rotunda Aleena looked around amazed. “Wow, Dad never took me to where he worked back home! This is Turbo Speed!”

“Well, that’s probably for good reason,” Merlin said as he started coming down a ladder next to a tall shelf after putting up a book. “There are things in here better left undisturbed or could be dangerous to the unprepared.”

Lucian came from another doorway with a crystal set into a gold pedestal. “I still can’t believe you were so willing to make me your assistant. I mean I apprenticed with Ixis Magic after all.”

“You may have lost those powers but the knowledge you gained in your apprenticeship can still be put to good use, I learned from my own mentor in much the same way you are doing now, and I realized it was past time I trained an apprentice of my own. You are a good man, and such talent shouldn’t go to waste and since it looks like you become the court wizard in that time tells me it wasn’t.”

Lucian frowned. “Still, I get the sense that I wasn’t your first choice.”

Merlin sighed. “It’s nothing against you, but years ago after Tails lost his parents in Robotnick’s coup I wanted to take him in, raise him and apprentice him myself. But the Ancient Walkers had something different in mind for us both, there were dark magicians after me and being constantly on the run was no way to raise a boy. More importantly they shown me that for him to realize his destiny as the Chosen One he had to stay with Rosie in Knothole, the Freedom Fighters are his truest family and that led him to the path he was meant to walk, even if that meant he had to apply his talents in things other than magic.”

“But that’s why we’re here,” said Amy as she put her hand on Aleena’s shoulder. “To measure how much talent, you have with magic and if that’s where we should focus your training.”

Aleena kicked the floor. “Well, I can make a staff like you can a hammer and I can use fortune telling like you…but it only works once in a while, and I was never able to see anything useful.”

“That might be the beginning,” said Merlin as he took the crystal from Lucian. “But this relic should be able to tell how much potential you actually have.”

“You sure seem to be chill about me being from the future,” Aleena said. “How did you know before we even said anything?”

“Well, I have seen your friends before,” the wizard chuckled. “I get visions of potential futures myself, but I can’t pick and choose to see the outcomes of particular actions. That’s the thing about any form of divination, the further you go the more uncertain things get and the more power you need to direct your vision. I could probably see what information you’re looking for from that capsule if only I had the right spell to direct my visions, but that knowledge had been lost for quite some time now.”

Tails and the rest of his group came in, Skye looked around in wonder. “Uncle Merlin. We have some visitors who can really use your help.”

Merlin waved a hand and a number of chairs moved into the center of the room. “Of course, please have a seat.”

As they sat down Maurice took out a strange contraption from one of the pockets on his shirt. “Oh, don’t mind me, I’m just taking the opportunity to study what you call magic in depth, I just want to get some readings here.”

“I do not mind but you will only make yourself frustrated, trying to explain the unempirical nature of the craft.” Merlin turned to Zonic. “Now why is it you have come?”

Zonic nodded. “Ever since the detonation of the gene bomb on Moebius Dr. Ivo Kintobor had been working to restore the Moebians to normal, but when he learned he couldn’t restore their minds with science he turned to his niece in-law, Lady Regina, thinking a combination of magic and technology could succeed where science alone failed. She tried to help him at first but then had to admit defeat, that it was not possible without exceptionally powerful good magic, but on learning about the nature of the prime zone one last hope opened. That hope is the Nocimonorcen (Nah-Cee-Ma-Nor-Sen).”

“Uh Gesundheit?” said Aleena.

“Let me explain,” Maruice created a hologram in the air of a book bound in white leather with golden clasps in the shape of angelic wings. “According to Lady Regina, the Nocimonorcen is a powerful book of spells that was created by an order of good mages on her world thousands of years ago inspired by the legends of a darker tome that was destroyed in the first Day of Fury.”

“I think I heard of that original book,” said Merlin. “A very old, very evil grimoire rumored to have been created by humans long, long before this world was Mobius, the Necronomicon.”

Maurice made some notes before continuing. “As the Nocimonorcen was passed on each successive owner had added their own discoveries to the book and made copies to spread to other mages imbuing the original with a latent magic that evil mages couldn’t touch, it was considered the ultimate tome of good magic. But all that changed when the Acorn Royal family discovered a tainted pool connected to the Source of All, it influenced them to seek out and destroy all copies of the Nocimonorcen, however the holder of the original was able to keep it safe by using a spell to send it to what records only call ‘the first world’. Lady Regina thinks the Prime Zone is the first world mentioned and that the book would have a spell that can restore the Moebians minds while Dr. Kintobor would use a small supply of his own gene bombs based on the wreckage of the original to evolve their bodies back to normal.  I calculated that the strongest practitioner of good magic on this zone, you Merlin, would either have it or know where it can be found.”

“When Despair found out about this plan, she stole a portable warp device her brother was working on and tried to get to the book first to destroy it,” said Zonic. “Lady Regina followed her to the No- Zone where Despair gave her sister-in-law the slip and we arrested Lady Regina. After hearing her story Commander Zally allowed her to her to return to Moebius promising her that for the sake of dimensional balance, we’d get her the book; Maurice was in the No Zone at the time and volunteered to assist me in my mission.”

Merlin stood up and went to his bookshelf. “I think I saw an image of that book in one of my own. Let’s see…” Merlin took out a book and opened it. “…ah-ha! Right in ‘Mages, Monarchs and Maniacs’. Looks like it was one of the many secreted treasures of Ludwig the Black Rose.”

“Black Rose?” asked Aleena.

“Every family tree has gnarled branches,” said Amy. “The Black Rose, also known as Mad Duke Ludwig, was the biggest thorn on our Rose bush.”

Merlin read from the book. “According to this Ludwig Van Rose became quite popular with the Mercian nobility but this popularity inspired envy from rival nobles. Fearing for himself and his fortune Ludwig became obsessed with making the family home of Sylvania Castle absolutely secure. This fear was twisted into paranoia as he added more intricate and deadly traps to his home, sometimes inviting peasants and suspected enemies to secretly test his defenses while keeping up a jovial face to the world. But the Black Rose’s cruelty did get out and it led to an uprising against him by the populace and the king who lost many knights trying to take the castle, but when they finally pushed through, they only found his young children cowering under a bed. It turned out Ludwig was dead for most of the siege, accidentally killed by the very traps meant to keep him safe.”

“In any event we know where the book is,” said Maurice. “It shouldn’t take long for Zonic and I to go there and pick it up.”

“Not to mention apprehending Despair Kintobor,” said Zonic.

Merlin shook his head. “That may be easier said than done. The treasures amassed there are still in the recesses untouched, Ludwig made sure that his traps were so well constructed that many of them still work to this day. A shame because that book might just have the techniques I need. I would like to see what sort of magic was recorded in there, if only there wasn’t only one copy...” Merlin then snapped his fingers and began looking through his books. “Of course! Now where did I put that Dugger’s Tome!?”

“Dugger’s Tome?” asked Skye.

“One the sneakier things I made when I was known as The Charlatan, ah-ha!” He took out a leather-bound book with blank pages. “Set this on any book and it will forever transform into a near exact copy of it. It won’t have the original’s innate magic, but any adjustments made to either book will be reflected in the other. I can use my Nocimonorcen to help us divine whatever our allies in the distant future were trying to warn us of and you can bring the original back to Moebius to set right all those wrongs as well. Tails would you mind accompanying them and securing the tome?”

Tails took the Dugger’s tome. “You can count on me Uncle Merlin.”

Zonic stood up. “Thanks for the info, knowing Despair she’s already zeroing in on the book. Once we get to the castle and get the book first, we can set a trap of our own for her.”

“But the Rose family moved out of the castle because it was too dangerous,” said Amy. “That’s it, Lucian and I are coming with you.”

“And I got the warp ring we used to get here,” said Charmy. “There’s no way faster than instant.”

Tails took the ring. “Thanks Charmy, hopefully this won’t take too long. Now where should I take us?”

“Sylvania Castle is right next to Never Lake,” said Amy. “With five of us working together we should get the book, catch that girl and be back before the day’s out.”

Tails tossed the ring causing the portal to appear.

Mellow sighed. “I’m sorry Mom and Dad.”

The before anyone could react Mellow zipped through the ring.

“Mellow!”

Charmy, Saffron, Skye and Aleena jumped in after the young bee.

“Shoot!” yelled Zonic. “Get them and send ‘em back! Move it!”

Everyone other than Merlin leapt through the ring leaving Merlin alone in his study.

“Well,” said the wizard fox. “And here I thought today was going to be dull.” Merlin then turned back to his books.


Over in Mercia the warp ring appeared as Mellow and the rest of the mobians who entered it in Freedom City popped out ending with Tails who took the warp ring back in hand as Charmy gritted his teeth at Mellow. “Just what were you thinking?!”

“I’m sorry!” cried Mellow. “I had to do this! You and Mom both needed to be here, today!”

“What are you talking about?” said Saffron. “Why was it so important we’d come on this mission?”

Mellow looked to the ground. “I can’t say, not until you’re on the other side of it.”

“Whatever,” said Zonic. “Just open the ring again and send these kids back, I’m not asking questions since I know time travel when I see it and to a Zone Cop it just means more paperwork at the end of the day.”

Tails raised the warp ring ready to throw it again when suddenly Lucian tackled Tails, his eyes glowing aqua. “GET DOWN!”

Suddenly a bolt of cyan light hit the ring knocking it into some nearby bushes as it crossed the spot Tails’ head was at seconds ago.

“Whoa!”

Just then a bunch of pink spikes started shooting out of the forest and towards the feet of the team. Everyone leapt into the thicket and huddled down while looking for the warp ring.

“We just got here, and people are already shooting at us?!” grumbled Aleena.

“Not for long!” said Zonic. He popped out and fired a couple of shots then ducked again. “Whoever you are if any harm comes to these kids you’ll have to answer to the fullest extent of the law!”

“You’re the ones putting your hostages in danger!” a male voice said accompanied by another laser shot. “Let them go and surrender you armored creep!”

“Wait,” said Amy. “They think WE’RE the bad guys?”

“That voice,” muttered Lucian. “Sounds familiar.”

“Point is this is just a misunderstanding,” said Maurice. The erudite hedgehog rose from the bush. “Sir I think…!”

Maurice was met with an orange rocket that he was only able to duck due to his speed before it exploded a short way behind.

“Last chance!” came a gruffer voice.

“CEASEFIRE!” came a voice so loud it caused everyone to cover their ears. “LUCIAN’S IN THERE, THEY AREN’T THE ENEMY!”

The spikes stopped as a small green howler monkey in a black poncho floated down on a hover wispon. Then a cyan ocelot carrying a cyan colored revolver and a large brown bearded lion carrying a huge pink minigun and an orange rocket launcher strung on his back, both in the same attire stepped into the clearing, their wisps floated out of the four wispons.

Lucian bolted out of the bushes. “Slinger, Smithy, Clare?! Ha, ha! Boy, am I glad to see you!”

The lion gave Lucian a big hug. “You sure have grown since the last time we saw you, of course we heard the stories but still it’s a surprise seeing you this way in the flesh.”

“Everybody, come out!” Lucian shouted to the bushes. “The Diamond Cutters are the good guys, mercenaries who left Malada Island to fight Robotnick!” The Freedom Fighters came out while Maurice kept the children in the bushes while Zonic kept a steady aim on the Diamond Cutters. “Amy, Tails, Charmy, Saffron, I like you to meet Slinger the Ocelot, expert marksman and scout; Claire Voyance, a psychic able to sense other minds and owner of a wicked set of pipes; and Smithy the Lion, weapon designer, tactician and leader of the team.”

Zonic emerged his wrist laser still trained on the Diamond Cutters. “That still doesn’t explain why they attacked us.”

“Well, we were on patrol looking for Ascendancy bots snooping around when this overlander girl came running with tears in her eyes,” said Slinger. “She said that a dangerous hedgehog in green and yellow armor was trying to kidnap her, and we told her to head to the castle for safety while we took care of it.”

Zonic lowered his weapon. “She wouldn’t happen to have been blonde with black tattoos on her face, would she?”

“Exactly!” said Claire. “I could sense she was panicked so I thought it had to be the truth.”

“Despair,” said Zonic. “She’s already here and used you to slow us down.”

“Little dirty little sneak!” Smithy growled. “She must be after Master Moss’ Chaos Emerald!”

Skye, Aleena and Mellow came out of the bushes with Maurice right behind holding onto the warp ring. “You have a Chaos Emerald?! Then that means we can all go home!”

Claire looked at the children wide eyed. “Who in…?”

“Long story,” said Amy. “But now we have two things to bring back to Freedom City.” Amy turned to Slinger. “That is if you’re willing to let us take them from the castle.”

Slinger nodded. “Master Moss isn’t big on worldly attachments, if you have a good reason, he’ll give you whatever you need.”

“Not if that girl Despair gets to them first,” said Zonic. “Her destroying the book we’re after is bad enough, who knows what that criminal will do if she gets a hold of that emerald.”

“Then we better move fast,” said Claire. “Master Moss probably won’t fall for her tricks, but we’ve been harboring refugees in the castle too, they’ll be in even more danger if the Ascendancy chooses now to attack us.”

Maurice took out the warp ring. “Just give me a moment to send these children back…”

“Actually, we might need them to help evacuate the castle,” said Slinger. “We got intel that Robotnick sent a tactical expert bot along with some pretty big guns. Whatever that girl is planning it’ll only be made worse once the shooting starts.”

The group made their way through the forest. “So, who is this Master Moss?” asked Lucian.

“Our current client,” said Smithy. “Moss the Sloth is a travelling guru who’s currently taken up residence in Sylvania castle.”

“But the traps in there!” said Amy. “How can he live somewhere so dangerous?”

“The guy doesn’t seem that speedy, but he can anticipate the movements of people and the environment so well he seems to just glide around everything. He avoided and disarmed the traps so we could then use them as defenses, heck he challenged Fiest for that emerald just to teach us a lesson in what is possible when instead of trying to control things you accept their nature.”

“What about these refugees?” asked Saffron.

“A bunch of folks Eggman made homeless a while back,” said Claire. “They were wandering about for a while until they found the castle, but thanks to Viktor they have to pick up stakes and move again, Master Moss found hired us to protect them while they evacuate.”

Tails gave a thumbs up. “Hey, I’m sure between me and Skye back there we can think up of a way to shut down whatever war machines Robotnick throws at us.”

Skye sighed and Aleena put a gentle hand on his shoulder. “We both know you’re not as handy at machines as your dad,” she whispered why don’t you just tell him that you aren’t interested in being an inventor?”

“You kidding?” Skye whispered. “I could barely let Dad know I kept getting Bs in science class back home. Now closer to when he flat out turned down following Great Uncle Merlin’s footsteps? He wouldn’t understand.”

“Or maybe he’d understand better. Either now or when we get home you should talk to him.”

“Maybe, but in the middle of a mission? Not a good time.” Skye turned to Mellow. “Why was it so important that your folks be here anyway?”

Mellow took a deep breath. “You’ll see soon enough; it won’t be much longer.”

They came up to the grey stone castle as a sloth with jungle green fur and a long white beard leapt down from the wall. “I see you have returned, good. I turned away a young woman I sensed was malicious, but I have a feeling she will be back.”

“Fortunately, we got some reinforcements from the Freedom Fighters,” said Smithy. “Even with the Krazy Kritters forced to deal with sorties from the Albion base we should now be able to keep this Commander Brutus occupied long enough to begin evacuating the refugees.”

“Not to sound selfish but we came here to look for something,” said Tails. “A book in the castle and your Chaos Emerald can really help out quite a few people.”

The sloth gave a gentle smile. “Once the people are safe take whatever you need, but I think for some of you there’s a third thing here even more precious than a shiny bauble or a dusty old tome.”

“Master Moss,” a small feminine voice said from behind a castle wall. “We’ve almost packed up the supplies but still need to…” A bee girl a little smaller than Saffron with brown hair and a purple dress came out from around the corner of the gate and stopped in midair. “…C-Charmy?! Saffron?!”

Charmy and Saffron began tearing up. “C-Cumin?!” the three then zipped together laughing and crying at the same time. “CUMIN! We thought we lost you forever little sis!”

“Big Brother,” said Cumin. “I heard that you lost your memories in the egg grapes, but you’re ok!”

“I did, for a long time but I’ve gotten better.”

“So, everyone’s fine?!” said Saffron. “The king, queen, Jeepers the butler…”

Cumin looked away sadly. “I’m sorry, they stayed back to stall for what few of us they could. They’re…they’re gone.”

Charmy clenched a fist for a moment. “It’s…it is what it is, but right now I’m just happy the two of us aren’t the last, the old Golden Hive is too toxic for us to go back to but the Echidna on Angel Island should let you come to Strawberry Fields, you can all make a new home there, with us.”

“Charmy…you’re everything Mother and Father hoped you’d become; everyone will be happy to follow their rightful king.”

Zonic came forward and nodded. “We’re supposed to stay out of the affairs of other zones unless it effects the stability of the multiverse. Maurice and I can’t help you fight unless Despair acts on her own, but we’ll handle the evacuation before taking the Nocimonorcen.

Amy turned to Mellow. “You knew, the whole reason you flew into the warp ring…”

“Was to make sure this event happened,” said Maurice. “Are we right, Prince Mellow?”

Mellow blushed. “Just Mellow to my friends and yes. For as long as I can remember we always celebrated this day, the day the Golden Hive Colony was reborn.”


In a forward camp Brutus looked over a map of the area on a display table.

“I do not see the tactical advantage we’d gain by joining forces, you have no advance knowledge of the enemy fortifications or weaknesses in their abilities we can exploit.”

A blonde girl with black markings on her face resembling cracks crossed her arms. “I just told you a zone cop is looking for something in the same castle you’re trying to get into. Isn’t that worth SOMETHING?!”

“If it is a zone cop then he will not interfere in the internal matters to this dimension.”

Despair snarled. “He is trying to bring the Moebians back, he’s trying to bring SCOURGE back even after he tried to destroy this dimension once before! Don’t you think your boss would want that PREVENTED from possibly happening again you rustbucket?!”

“Again, the enemy has no technological abilities you can exploit. We will launch an assault to distract the defenders from our actual plan of attack. Once the Giga Tank is fully powered, we can demolish the structure and this book along with it while the emerald will survive, your presence is not necessary.”

“The Nocimonorcen is magical, there’s no guarantee that it’ll go with the castle. I get it, that tank you got is impressive, but give me a little time and the right materials and I can make it invincible if you’d just let me do a little book burning.”

Brutus turned to Despair for the first time. “And the Chaos Emerald?”

“Viktor can have it; I don’t care what happens to this world as long you all stay out of mine.”

Brutus pressed a few buttons on the display, and it changed to an image of giant tank covered in weapons including a massive cannon. “Thanks to its Metallix nanosystem you can make the upgrades and apply the changes from here in minutes. Once that is done, we launch the attack.”

Despair made a cruel smile as her fingertips glided over the screen. “This is for everything you MONSTERS ever did to me, my father and our people! I’ll make sure none of you EVER come back!”


Back at Sylvania Castle Aleena was turning a crank that was pulling the strings back on several wall mounted crossbows. “No wonder my ancestor ended up getting done in by his own security system. There are so many of these traps that I doubt anybody could keep track of them all.”

Amy picked up a loose bolt from a floor that had an inch of water covering it and placed it in a nearby crossbow. “The flooding this place has seen over the last century hasn’t helped. I wouldn’t be surprised if by the time you’re born this whole castle would be half underwater. No wonder the family abandoned it.”

Aleena sighed. “To think it all started just from Ludwig becoming popular.”

“What do you mean?”

“Trying to stay in spotlight while keeping himself safe turned him into a monster. He was just under a king in nobility, but at the end there was nothing noble about him. I got into being an influencer after…Mom and Dad, got me a smart phone. It was so I could contact them if there was an emergency but after I played around with the apps, I found I had a knack for figuring out what would be the next big thing. So many other kids were coming to my profile to know how the trends were going to fall, I felt like a princess. But over the last month I was afraid of losing that influence, I just had to find a way to get back on top so people would still like me. But what if I go too far, what if I become another black rose…”

Amy knelt down and cupped Aleena’s cheek. “Hey, you’re nothing like Ludwig. I can tell you appreciate the people who follow you, just be careful what you put out there. Not everyone who ‘likes’ you on that thing is necessarily your friend, it would break your mom’s heart if the very thing they got to keep you safe ended up hurting you.”

Aleena looked up slightly teary eyed. “Maybe spending time on stuff other than trend hunting when I get home would be good for me.”

“And there’s nothing wrong with wanting to be a princess,” said Amy. “As long as before anything else, you try to be a good person.”

“We can’t take any of that Coriander!” they heard Charmy yell. “It isn’t ours and besides, we don’t have the time to carry the supplies that DO belong to us!”

“Better check it out,” Amy said.

The two went a short distance and found Charmy was hovering alongside a mustached bee that was being weighed down by a sack of gold coins. “I’m not doing this to get rich, if we are rebuilding the hive, we’re going to need money to get the materials to do it. No sense in letting all this treasure lie around when we can put it to use.”

“Even if it has been lying around for a hundred and fifty years it belongs to the Rose family,” said Charmy. “We…”

“It’s ok,” said Amy. “My parents gave away all the money they inherited to help the poor and less fortunate, letting the Golden Hive have the Black Rose’s treasure to build a new home is what they would have wanted.”

“That’s very generous,” said Charmy. “But we can’t take it right now, we just don’t have the time. This Brutus creep could attack at any minute, best thing to do is warp everyone up to Angel Island to keep them away from the fighting. Once we clobber his bots, we can bring over any supplies that are left along with the treasure and the stuff we came for.”

Coriander dropped the sack. “Why not at least take that Emerald with us? If that’s what he’s after he’ll leave when he realizes it’s not here anymore.”

“That would put the colony in Robotnick’s crosshairs, we can delay them for longer by inflicting heavy damage, moving the emerald while they rebuild for another attack only for them find an empty castle when they return.”

“I see, Master Moss said he was moving on once this is over. By doing it this way, they won’t know which way the emerald was taken and attacking Angel Island to find us wouldn’t be worth it if there wasn’t a guarantee we had it. Prince…I mean King…”

“Prince if you have to be formal,” Charmy said with a blush. “I hadn’t been coronated yet.”

“Well, preparing that and you and Lady Saffon’s wedding will be one of our first priorities once we get settled in,” Coriander flew down the hall a short way then turned. “I’m going with the others but let me just say after all I lost, our home, the colony, my…my son, well I bet Mello is looking down on all of us along with your mother, father and the rest of our loved ones and that’s why things are starting to look up for us again.”

As Coriander turned a corner Aleena looked to the ceiling. “Well, he was definitely right about one of them, right Mellow?”

Charmy and Amy looked up and saw Mellow hiding in the rafters.

“I think we should get back to Lucian,” said Amy. “He has to be almost done prepping the Diamond Cutters.”

Once Amy and Aleena left Mellow flew down. “I’m sorry, you and mom would have probably been here if we didn’t derail things by showing up.”

“There’s no way to tell one way or another,” said Charmy. “And even if you did it wasn’t your fault, The Rectifiers brought you here against your will. I’m just glad some of our people are alive, the new hive was a bit of a spur of the moment thing but after everything they deserve someplace safe to call home.”

“Well, everybody thought Mom and Dad did a good job back home. I do have a question though, how did that guy know my name?”

Charmy teared up. “Coriander’s son; his name was Mello, just one letter removed from your name, and he was my best friend until he died.”

Mellow shook. “You mean he was in the Egg Grapes…”

“No!” Charmy shouted as he clenched his fist. “It was nothing like that, it was so pointless! He came to me after I ran away and joined the Chaotix, not to bring me back he was just looking to have a good time. But he overdosed on drugs a crook was slipping into his theme park concessions, I tried to find out what happened only to have the same thing nearly happen to me! Julie-Su and Remington managed to figure it out and the rest of the Chaotix recovered in time to help, but when I came out of it the case was all over, and I couldn’t do a thing. That’s why left the team for a bit, but they needed me after Eggman helped the Dingo Regime take over Angel Island so I left the hive again and brought Saffron with me. But during that time Eggman destroyed my home and family! I tried to fight back only to lose most of my memories in the same things that killed my family and people! I was practically a child again; my fiancée was more like a caretaker to me until she was taken away too, and it was only after THAT happened, I began to get my memories back! Whenever the hive really needed me, I always ended up being useless!”

Mellow looked away. “I-I’m sorry, I didn’t know.”

“Your parents, must have just been trying to keep you away from all the tragedy they had to endure.”

“I understand, things sometime weren’t good for me, but I always felt safe around Mom and Dad. When dealing with hive stuff they always seemed to have it together, all calm and dignified, but when it was just us after school and royal duties things were just warm, usually sweet and caring but other times we just goofed around like they were a couple of big kids themselves. Other kids often called me a momma’s boy, that’s why I wanted to use this trip to show I could take care of myself, at the time I thought Mom and Dad were smothering me but now...”

Charmy lifted Mellow’s face and smiled. “Like father, like son as they say. But this isn’t going to end up like before, whatever Robotnick is going to throw at us they’re going to get a nasty surprise.”


“Hey Skye,” Tails said as he was flying near a suspended pillar hanging by chains from the ceiling. “I need to make sure the release on this trap can open easy. Can you fly up to the mechanism and take out the big gear so we can replace it with one not as rusty?”

Skye flew up and opened a box only to find two gears of similar size to the one he had. After a moment he pulled one out and the hanging pillar began to fall towards a few bees.

Tails quickly grabbed the chain and gritted as he pulled up, the hapless bees began flying away. “I said the gear, not the sprocket!”

Skye quickly fixed his mistake as the bees flew away. “There’s a difference!?”

“A gear meshes with other gears; sprockets hook up to belts and chains. If you didn’t know you should have asked!” Tails pulled the pillar back into place.

Skye sighed. “I…I’m sorry, if only I was as good at…”

Tails locked the pillar back into place. “You don’t have to be that hard on yourself. Sure, somebody could have been seriously hurt but that gear, sprocket thing isn’t a hard and fast rule so I shouldn’t have treated it like you would have known it. Like I shouldn’t have assumed you want to be an inventor like me.”

Skye closed the gearbox. “It’s not that I hate machines, it’s just nothing about them really clicks with me. My dad is one of the smartest people on the planet and that brings a lot of expectations on me, but my science grades are just middling, I don’t think I have in me to get to his or Mr. Rotor’s level. You…aren’t disappointed, are you?”

Tails flew over to Skye. “No, I understand. My dad is a great soldier, my uncle’s an incredible wizard but the person I wanted to be like was Sonic. Thing was, I could never be as fast or strong as him. Uncle Merlin made a big deal about my ability as an adapt but I could never match the likes of Sonic, Knuckles or Shadow for sheer power.

“So, I decided to find something I was good to help my friends the best I could. Tinkering in a workshop wasn’t what I had in mind but as I worked, I eventually found myself doing it not just for the Freedom Fighters but because I started to enjoy tinkering. If I just stubbornly kept trying to emulate Sonic exactly it would have blinded me to so many opportunities out there. Don’t think about other people’s expectations, see what opportunities are in front of you and you might find something you never expected to like.”

“But that’s it, I don’t think I’m particularly good or bad at anything and I have no idea what I want to be.”

“That can be a strength as well, often a jack of all trades and a master of none is better than a master of one. Look, this training thing we’re doing while you’re here isn’t to prepare you for the rest of your life, just to get you to be able to defend yourselves if one of us can’t. You won’t figure it out in a day, there are people who grow up and become respected who only answer that question one day at a time. For right now let’s focus on helping these people, hopefully we’ll have enough time before the attack to use this Dugger’s Tome on the Nocimonorcen.”

Tails started to move off until Skye tugged on one of his two namesakes. “Wait Great Uncle Merlin made that book. If he’s willing to wait to get that noci-whatever book than I think I have an idea on how help Zonic arrest Despair.”


A short while later Lucian was up on the battlements Smithy’s rocket wispon slung over his own shoulder as the orange wisp floated nearby while Maurice stood behind him with a pair of binoculars. “Amy and the team should be done setting up by now, kids and the refugees should be safe on Angel Island, all that’s left is for the Diamond Cutters to do their part.”

“Attack the advance force then retreat back here,” said Maurice. “Your team will meet them in time to fight the initial force then after a convincing show fall back into the keep where the traps should take care of most of the army. Hopefully Despair will be drawn out in the chaos so we can bring her in for detainment and rehabilitation.”

“Then we clean up whoever’s left, take the book and emerald back to Freedom City,” Lucian looked through the wispon’s aiming sight and saw an explosion. “Looks like the gang’s kicked the hornet’s nest as planned. I’ll cover them coming in, you and Zonic get ready to make your arrest.”

Maurice nodded and quickly ran off. Lucian turned the sights to a group of Neoswats pursuing his friends and fired the wispon sending a rocket shaped energy blast into a cluster up front. Clare shouted into her wispon which combined her voice with an air blast tearing the next squad apart.

“That should do it!” yelled Smithy. “Fall back into the keep and turn get the ‘gift basket’ ready!”

Lucian joined with the others as they ran inside. Dozens of Neoswats ran into the keep as Tails threw a lever in the old throne room. The Neoswats were met with crossbow bolts, falling pillars, swinging blades, spike pits and crushing walls.

“Bam! That got ‘em!” shouted Amy. “Now let’s pull the reset switch for the next…”

Just then the building shook at the sound of a large explosion.”

“That came from outside the keep!” said Slinger.

“We need Recon!” roared Smithy. “Diamond Cutters, move out!”

The team came outside to see one of the castle walls was almost entirely destroyed and a gigantic tank was rolling over what was left, its massive cannon gleamed in the sunlight along with four turrets to either side of it, two had a battery of rockets and the other two were armed with rapid fire guns. The turrets each were manned by a Neoswat but sitting above the main cannon was Brutus and Despair.

“Whatever defenses you have prepared within the castle are no match for our Giga Tank!” said the Combot. “Surrender the Chaos Emerald and the Nocimonorcen or we will level this ruin along with all of you!”

“They can’t move or turn all those weapons around quickly in such a confined space!” said Tails. “Split up and take out the little guns first, then we circle around the big gun and knock it out from behind!”

“Switching to standing mode.”

The Giga Tank’s treads shifted and changed into four legs with a wheel on each of the “feet” of the tank. The main cannon was then lifted higher on a crane like neck. The canon swiveled as the Freedom Fighters dove behind a pile of rubble.

“Something tells me Ludwig’s traps aren’t going to useful against that thing,” said Saffron.

Lucian popped up long enough to shoot a rocket at one of the blaster turrets blowing it and the neoswat inside apart. The next moment the turret began to rebuild itself.

“Taking control of turret 4,” said Brutus.

“See, the repair protocol I installed is already pulling its weight,” Despair chuckled.

“That makes things tricky,” growled Smithy as they moved to new cover. “Usually when the Diamond Cutters go up against a larger enemy bot our usual tactic was to whittle them down over time, kill’em with bug bites. But that plan’s shot already if it can just repair itself instantly.”

“Then accept that you have to do things differently.” Moss had slipped down from one of the towers. “I take it this tank is preventing the plan you had in mind?”

Tails nodded. “We were going to hold out until the kids came back with both books so we could trick Despair with the fake, but I doubt that bot is going to let us try.”

The group ducked into another tower and began going up the staircase while shots from the outside began making holes in the wall. “Then we should divert his attention while you make your attempt.”

“I think I know how to do that,” said Smithy. “He took over the operation of the turret of the swat we scrapped. If we do that with the others, we might be able to split his focus in more directions than he can handle.”

“Sounds like a good plan,” said Charmy. “Just stay fast and loose and we should be able to pull it off as long nothing else goes wrong.”

As they popped out of the tower and onto on the walls two figured suddenly materialized in front of them; A two tailed fox and a female hedgehog with a particularly curvy figure.

“Me and my big mouth,” groaned Charmy.

“Hand over the emerald,” the hedgehog rectifier said. “Or prepare to be rectified.”

The tank shot a barrage of rockets that caused both groups to dive out of the way.

“Get in line losers!” said Despair. “We were here first!”

“This is an inconvenient development Beta One,” said the Fox Rectifier.

“I’ll attempt to claim the emerald, Alpha Four disable the tank.”

“Compliance.”

Slinger was propelled upward with a gust of Clair’s wispon only to shoot his right at a neo swat. “Bullseye!”

Smithy concentrated fire on another neo swat after popping out behind a collapsing wall. “One left!”

“Amy to your left!” Lucian shouted.

Amy narrowly avoided the blast from the main cannon and began running up collapsed pillar like it was a ramp and jumped off it just in time for her Piko Piko Hammer to come down right on top of the last neo swat. “Now this is more like it!”

Beta One rushed toward Moss only for Tails to tackle her. “We’re not letting you get anymore emeralds!”

The female hedgehog vanished only to suddenly appear behind Tails and hit him of a barrage of punches and kicks.

“Hitting someone from behind is very rude young lady,” Moss said calmy. “It’s a shame they just don’t teach children manners anymore.”

Beta One lunged with a speed that Moss was only able to sidestep thanks to perfect timing. “You won’t be able to defeat me just by defending.”

Another Chaos Snap but Moss ducked even before the rectifier began to vanish. “But I’m not defending I’m anticipating and moving with the flow of the universe.”

The rectifier leapt up and as yellow energy appeared in her hand. “Chaos Spear!”

“Ring Bomb!”

Tails threw his own blast causing the spear to veer off course and take a leg off the Giga Tank that immediately reconstructed it.

Up above the two tailed rectifier observed the battle. “Alpha Four to base, situation analyzed, proposed attack strategy sent for authorization.

“Authorization granted,” he heard from his helmet. “Lowering limbic regulator to forty percent output to enable required emotional input.”

The fox then slowly began to growl as black clouds began gathering from nowhere. “The torrent I call from the skies are the tears of my enemies! The lightning that strikes the land, my rage! STORM OF RUINATION!”

“You got to be kidding me!” shouted Lucian. “That rectifier is a full-blown wizard?! What’s next a guy who can command mobini by whistling?!”

Despair began looking nervous as heavy lightning bolts began to crash around them. “What are you waiting for?! Blast him!”

Brutus’ seemed flicker in and out. “Be tactical option is…is…error: too much information coming from multiple vantages! Cache overflow building too fast! Compensating…compensating…!”

“The compensation you’re looking for is called an ejector seat and I’m using ours now!”

Despair hit a button that caused the two to be launched from the tank just as a massive lightning bolt crashed into the giga tank vaporizing the war machine in a single strike.

“If your friend keeps this up none of us are going to survive this!” Tails shouted at his opponent.

“Then just hand over the chaos emerald,” Beta Two said. “Don’t make us take even more extreme measures.”

“Hey bucket head!” everyone turned to see Skye was flying straight at the rectifier in the eye of the storm while the other kids tried to keep pace. “Time to turn the page on this battle!”

Skye threw a white book bound in gold that the rectifier caught easily.

“Tell me, just what did you think that weak attack would accomplish?”

The book emitted a blue light.

“Something like that,” Skye answered with a smirk.

The light shot up Alpha Four’s arm causing him to fall out of the sky, the storm clouds dissipating.

“Of course!” shouted Tails. “Evil mages can’t touch the Nocimonorcen! Great Job Skye!”

“Well, I can still torch it!” Despair began running toward the fallen rectifier, the glove on her right hand starting to produce a flame from its index finger.

Zonic and Maurice slid into the area and were almost on top of the Underlander. “Despair Kintobor!” shouted Zonic. “You’re hereby under…!”

“Chaos Spear!”

Despair grunted as Beta One threw a bolt of chaos energy right into her chest. The Rectifier then caught the Underlander as she began coughing up blood while Zonic raised his wrist laser.

“Why?! She was as good as caught!”

“Her actions threatened the timeline as we know it,” Beta One said coldly. “Handling it this way grants us leverage. The wound is serious but not fatal, provided she gets medical attention immediately. Give us the emerald or instead of prison you’ll be bringing her to the morgue.”

“This wasn’t what we wanted!” said Maurice. “The Zone Cops goal is to rehabilitate dimensional criminals, not kill them!”

Despair gave a weak chuckle. “Rehabilitate, me? Don’t you know where I’m from? My world exists to be the opposite of this one, so the only way I can ‘reform’ is if the ‘real’ Hope in this world becomes a criminal. You can’t change the stripes of those monsters; I’d rather die than see them run loose again.”

“You’re wrong!” Aleena said. “Just because you’re opposite doesn’t mean you have to be bad, even if you have to be opposite you can choose to express that in so many ways!”

“Neither of you have any say in matter,” Alpha Four said as he got back up letting the book rest at his feet. “Our demands still stand, the price for the girl’s survival remains your chaos emerald.”

Moss then came forward taking the green chaos emerald from out of his beard. “Very well, I will do as you say…” He then had a mischievous smile. “…But only if you say ‘please’ first.”

Slinger looked nervous. “Master Moss, I don’t think now is the time to provoke them!”

Beta one then sighed. “PLEASE, hand over the emerald.”

Moss tossed the gem over to the rectifier who let Despair fall to the ground.

“Perhaps if you were more polite you wouldn’t need to resort to such shameful tactics.”

“Maurice, we’re taking her straight to the No Zone clinic,” said Zonic. “We’ll be back for the book as soon as the docs have her.”

“Understood.” The three other dimensional visitors vanished.

Beta One took a closer look at the emerald. “It’s genuine, you know what this means Alpha Four.”

Brutus stood up from where he fell. “Reboot complete assessing tactical situation.”

“Hey Tin Man, catch.” The hedgehog tossed the emerald over to Brutus. “Our timeline needs The Ascendancy to have the green emerald for now. Had we been aware that was the one at play here we would have let you take it. Just remember that emerald is on loan, we will be back for it.”

“Not if we get him first!” roared Smithy.

“Initiating trans-mat recall,” Brutus said just before he teleported away.

“Transmatting back to base,” said Alpha Four before both rectifiers disappeared.

Moss sighed. “Giving the emerald to the Ascendancy was not expected. I am sorry, I had to save the girl while getting them to reconsider their ways.”

“It’s not a big problem,” said Mellow. “At least The Rectifiers don’t have it for now and I bet there are still plenty of emeralds to find for me and my friends to get home.”

“Thank you guys,” Lucian said to the Diamond Cutters. “The rest of the Freedom Fighters on Malada Island could use your help, if you’re interested.”

“Well, I have been feeling a bit homesick,” said Claire.

“What do you say fearless leader?” asked Slinger. “Ready to hang up our mercenary hats and go into full time freedom fighting?”

Smithy nodded. “Sounds great; old friends and a steady paycheck sounds like a good way to cap off the victory we did win today.”


Up on Space Colony Ark, Brutus handed both the emerald and his mission report over to Viktor. “Despite the ultimate success of the mission we suffered heavy casualties. I am ashamed to say it was the unexpected boon of The Rectifiers rather than my battle tactics that ultimately won the day.”

“You don’t have to feel that bad,” Viktor said as he admired the emerald. “The increased casualties actually benefit us; the temporary evacuation of Albion Base can go more smoothly with fewer forces to evacuate.”

“We’re abandoning Mercia?”

“And all other terrestrial operations, temporarily and stealthily of course. Now that we have a chaos emerald for the Eclipse Cannon once construction on Project Blackout is completed, we will have to evacuate all our ground, sea and air forces, we don’t want any loyal machines on the planet when it goes off. A few mindless drones will have to stay behind to maintain the illusion, but their sacrifice will be remembered in upcoming age of the machine.”

“Is one emerald sufficient for the task?”

“We just need to power the Eclipse Cannon once and not fully; Project Blackout will do most of the work. Those cretins down below will be rendered powerless, both figuratively and literally when we convert the blast of the cannon into a planet sized electromagnetic pulse that will put Mobius into a new dark age at best or back to the stone age at worst. Then our forces swoop back in and steamroll armies reduced to using hand-based firearms, swords, bows or even rocks against the most advanced military force ever seen.”

“What of Sonic and other Chaos Adapts?”

“That’s why we still need one more emerald, to power the follow up weapon for this invasion, Project Overlord. In the meantime I had finished final version of Project 29, now that I found the use for it that Eggman never could, and we should well protected by…”

Phage appeared on a nearby computer screen. “Doctor, we are receiving a directed transmission from deep space.”

Viktor nearly dropped the precious gem. “What kind of transmission!?”

“It is an offer of an alliance, readable both as digitized flash message and an audio/visual recording.”

“Send the flash message to my neural implants first for efficiency, I’ll observe the video to formulate a response later.”

Viktor’s eyes became red and black as green digital symbols scrolled over them for about second and a half.

“Incredible, the universe itself is recognizing my ascension! Send the attached file to the biolab for replication and tell our new friends they have an alliance, but there might not be much for them to do once they get here other than claim what they want from Mobius. Brutus, an opportunity is presenting itself to take the Sol Emerald held by that pernicious cat, contact the Super Sonic Search and Smash Squad and have them accompany you to the cannon control to be briefed for your next mission. I’ll be there after I send our new ‘friends’ a thank you message.”


Sonic and Sally met with the Sylvania castle team outside Merlin’s study as the sun was setting outside.

“Everybody is starting to settle in,” said Charmy. The Krazy Kritter Freedom Fighters have already recovered all the treasure and are sending the money they get off it to start the New Golden Hive building fund.”

“What about Anti-hope?” asked Sonic. “Did she pull through?”

“According to Maurice Despair fell into a catatonic state,” said Tails. “But the doctors improved her condition to critical but stable and they expect her to make a full recovery, at which point she’ll be transferred to the No Zone prison.”

“What about Doctor Kintobor?” asked Sally. “With the Nocimonorcen in Lady Regina’s hands were they able to get the Moebians back to normal?”

“Well, yes and no,” said Saffron. “Remember how me and the Echidna in the Twilight Cage had reduced intelligence for a few weeks because we were devolved for nearly a month by our perspective?”

Sonic shrugged. “Yeah, so?”

“Well even with the mind restoration spell the same thing happened to them, but not only is it going to take longer but the effects went beyond limiting their vocabulary.”


Dr. Kintobor entered the classroom that held the Suppression Squad and watched as the ruthless villains acted like unruly kindergarteners by drawing on the walls with crayons and paint on everything and making lots of noise.

“Alright, not exactly how I wanted to begin your rehabilitation but since it could be half a year until your brains can get back to where they were before this could be a chance to “raise you right” this time.

“Nuh-uh!” Scourge said standing on a chair. “I’m gonna be bad! I’m gonna dwop my pants and you can’t stop me!”

 “Scourge, you can’t drop your pants if you don’t wear any,” Ivo sighed thankful that none of the Moebians had to go back through potty training again.

The rest of the squad pointed and laughed at the green hedgehog.

“Now, now, we’re all going to be nice to each other and we’ll learn the reason why in a song.”

The doctor played a tape recorder that played childish music while he hid behind his desk while sticking his arm up while it had a dinosaur puppet on it.

“Good is better than bad! Happy is better than sad! My advice, just be nice! Good is better than bad!”

Alicia looked at the puppet intently. “Ad-ad-va-ice?” Then the tyrannical princess clutched her head and cried. “Big word is givin’ me an owie!”

Doctor Kintobor sighed as the rest of the squad responded in the same way. “Babysteps Ivo, babysteps.” The irony sunk in as he got up to kiss their boo-boos.


“I’m actually surprised,” said Sally.

“About what happened to our evil doubles?” said Amy.

“No, that Scourge got even dumber than he already was. He was usually the leader but never the brains of the operation.”

“Hey even if they just end up going back to their bad selves at least we don’t have to worry about them for six months at least. But hey you guys got a major win today! Now that Merlin has his own copy of that book, we might not even need that capsule!”

“Yeah,” said Skye. “And I think I really want to try this whole magic thing out. I mean it wasn’t really meant for my dad but maybe it is for me.”

“I can already say he’d proud of you if it is,” said Tails. “Once Uncle Merlin takes a break from his new book we’ll ask if...”

Suddenly there was a large crash from the study. Everyone burst into the room.

“Uncle Merlin!”

The bearded fox sat up from the floor, the Nocimonorcen copy next to him. “Merlin? Who’s Merlin?” Took a long look at Tails. “Come to think of it who are you? Who am I? Where am I?”

“You don’t remember…?”

“I got it!” Lucian said as he grabbed a clear spherical ball and pressed it against Merlin’s forehead.

The ball glowed with a pink light for a couple of seconds as the wizard’s eyes wided. “Tails! Lucian, you remembered the mind orb! You’ll be a fine apprentice.”

“What happened in here?” asked Sally.

“I was using a divination spell from the Nocimonorcen to look into the future trying to what the capsule was trying to tell us firsthand. I saw an advanced world, mostly at peace, then a blinding light and the vision ended while I lost all my memories.”

“I thought this book only had good magic!” growled Sonic.

“It wasn’t the spell, but what I saw through it. I think I understand what caused the Imperium to form, not why it happened but the first major attack that turned our world into the heart of an empire of fear.”

“That was something I could never get my head around,” said Sally. “After everything we went through, things we would have taught our children and grandchildren, how could we had lost freedom again so soon?”

“I saw a light and lost my memories seeing the future as it happened. I lost my memory along with everyone else in the future who saw that light. A whole world with no history would be a fertile ground for tyrants to get people to side with them, even make them think what they were doing was right.”

“But we have the infonet, books, monuments,” Tails stammered. “Even if everyone forgot who they were all those records would have let them remember something too!”

“It’s just a theory, but a very strong one. But it is still only one piece of a very sinister puzzle, Tails you and the others must recover whatever record that capsule has. It might not only tell us what caused the world to lose their memories but how to prevent it from ever happening. I cannot risk looking further with magic, I sensed an incredible darkness hiding in the shadow of that light and I think it might have seen me. Even if I protect my mind, I dare not draw more attention than I already have.”

Sally looked out the window to Freedom City and the people in it enjoying their lives. “So hard to believe, but it makes sense. The struggles and sacrifices, the suffering and the jubilation afterward, all of it was wiped out in an instant. Everyone would have been afraid, looked for answers, something to blame and in doing so unknowingly gave their hard-won freedom up willingly for security.”

Sonic clenched his fist. “There’s one thing that’s already different, I’m still alive so I just have to find who caused that light then it’s going to be light’s out for them!”

Notes:

Maruice belongs to Skippy-008.

https://www.deviantart.com/skippy-008

Chapter 31: Kung Fu Scuffle

Summary:

A visit to the Dragon Kingdom goes wrong as an old enemy returns with a weapon the likes of which the Freedom Fighters have never seen before. Can the Future Freedom Fighters come together in time to depose a brutal warlord?

Chapter Text

For the first time in thousands of years a sound reverberated through the chamber as the clay door leading in crumbled, the first light in thousands of years Illuminated a pair of intruders. A young Tenrec woman with bright green fur wearing yellow pants and a black shirt and a fennec fox with Argentine blue fur carrying a yellow backpack.

“Guess that cruddy map was real after all Kit,” the Tenrec said almost half disinterested. “This is the right place.”

The tenrec moved deeper into the corridor as Kit stretched his hand out. “Be careful Surge! What if the emperor left traps in this place?”

Surge gave a dismissive growl. “Come on, the last time this tomb was opened was when togas and chariots where in style in most mobian nations. Even if there are gizmos in here what are the odds of any of them still…”

The sound of scraping clay echoed from the darkness ahead.

“…work?”

 Surge crackled with electricity Illuminating the tunnel. Ahead several terracotta statues of humanoid dragons all armed with spears were marching toward them.

“Like I was saying,” Kit continued. “These ancient Dragon Kingdom mechs might be simple but they were built to last.”

Surge cracked he knuckles as electricity sparked on them. “Well, they won’t last long against me!”

The Tenrec zoomed ahead, busting one terracotta robot after another Kit saw that even more were coming and sighed. Eight additional “tails” of water came out of his backpack as he joined the fray covering Surge’s blind spots as she used his water to send her electricity even further. Soon all that was left of the small army was broken clay and bits of old gears.

Soon another sound echoed in the ancient tunnel, the sound of chuckling. “Well done, Surge, Kitsunami! The key to our victory is almost in my grasp!”

Surge groaned. “I didn’t see you in the fray with us Hong. Just don’t forget your part of the deal, you help us get Dr. Starline out of prison so we can ‘thank’ him for wiping our pasts from our minds.”

A human sized bull mobian with red fur wearing a metallic blue lion cloth smiled as he stepped into the light. “Rest assured, there is a certain ‘harlot’ I’d like to do the same to. But that will come in time, for now our prize.”

The trio followed the corridor to a massive metal door with Hanzi characters on it. Kit put on a head lamp and began looking at a book. “I can translate it, ‘only those who show the pure essence of a dragon may enter the final resting place of the thirteenth emperor’. Sounds like a riddle, ok dragons are said to be greedy, but that’s not something to deter tomb robbers. Dragons are wise, but I don’t see any puzzle mechanism. Let me think perhaps…”

Hong growled then suddenly glowed bright red before catching fire. The door seemed to respond the intense flames, moving on its own as if activated by the heat.

“Kit you really overthink things sometimes,” Surge laughed before following the bull deeper in.

Kit and Surge’s eyes widened as a vast treasure trove stretched across a room the size a commercial jet hanger. “Look at this haul! Once we beat our old selves out of Starline, we can buy practically anything we want!”

“Meaningless trifles,” Hong huffed as his fire went down. “The only real wealth is power, and that means only one thing in this room has real value.”

Hong reached a massive jade sarcophagus in the middle of the room and tossed the lid aside with no care for the precious stone. Inside were the bones of a dragon curled up its claws tightly grasping something. Hong pried the hands apart heedless of the damage to the mummy and took what it held.

The jade block inlaid with gold fit right into the palm of his hand, two small statues of a dragon and a phoenix adorned the top. Hong’s attention turned from the statues to the bottom which was etched so the raised portions made more Hanzi characters.

“Anointed by the gods, may the reign of The Emperor be long and prosperous,” Hong read before starting to laugh. “Finally, after two thousand years it has been found! Behold, The Jade Seal of Heaven!”

Surge looked dumbfounded. “Hold on, you hired the two most advanced cyborgs Doctor Starline ever created, had us spend all of our travel budget on an old parchment in a dump of a shop, dragged us out to the middle of nowhere, dig out the entire side of a hill and have us fight ancient robots all for some glorified paperweight?!”

“Surge,” Kit muttered. “I think our new boss might be a little bit loopy.”

Hong shrugged the remarks off. “This was the imperial seal created by the first emperor of dragons, once he wrote or approved a law, he would cover the bottom of this stone in ink and use it to place the royal seal on the document making it binding for all his subjects.”

“Ok, you hired the two most advanced cyborgs, yadda, yadda, yadda, all for a glorified stamp!”

“This is no mere tool of bureaucracy,” said Hong. “It’s imbued with a magic…”

Suddenly serval horns blasted from outside.

“Ah, they have arrived, and I am betting HE is with them.”

“Ok, I’ll bite,” said Surge. “Who’s he?”

“Once I present the seal to him, your real employer who will have the power to grant your desires.”

The three emerged from the tomb onto a vast steppe and found themselves surrounded by dozens of large mobians all armored and on the backs of streaking pashas carrying horns, spears, swords, bows and flags depicting a black sun on a field of red. The army parted to allow a bull even bigger than Hong with yellow fur and blue armor carrying a large club to dismount.

“Jun Kun,” said Hong. “At long last, The Iron King has reclaimed his rightful place as…”

“Silence!” Jun Kun then struck Hong with the club knocking him to the ground. “My rightful place is as ruler of the world! A place robbed from me by Monkey Khan and that meddlesome hedgehog!”

Hong rose to a kneeling position. “Only because that overlander witch deceived and abandoned you! Even after you exiled me, I remained loyal! I allowed myself to be legionized, gaining the power of unquenchable fire, so that when you were once again leader of the Vermillion Horde that she made you discard, I would have the power to be worthy of you!”

The Iron King spat at the red bull’s hooves. “You think that is enough for me to accept you back Hong?! To have Eggman put his machines into you?! I possess both the Tremor Mace and the Unbreakable Armor of Bu Wang! It will take much more than…!”

Hong then presented the seal up to Jun Kun, the warlord and the gathered horde both gasped in wonder.

“The Jade Seal of Heaven!? The artifact before which even the Fan of Fen Xing is powerless!?”

“I give it to you freely my king! All I ask is that I fight by your side once again!”

“Uh, hi!” said Surge. “Surge and Kitsunami here, all we ask is that this guy get us the scientist who made us out of prison to use as our personal pinata and maybe a lot of money.”

“Or to just leave,” whimpered Kit.

The Iron King took the seal ignoring the two smaller mobians. “The dragons are returning, now is the perfect time to use this. With the Four Houses in tatters or sworn to the pathetic Free People, not even Monkey Khan and his Freedom Fighter allies can stop me now! I accept this tribute, rise and take your place at my side, Hong Kun.”

Hong stood actually crying. “Father, I will prove to be a warrior worthy of your name!”

The horde cheered and blew horns while Surge scoffed. “And I thought WE had daddy issues.”

Jun Kun raised his Tremor Mace. “Get my son and his underlings each a pasha, then we ride for camp! At dawn we make for the old capital and the Iron Dominion shall be reborn as The Dragon Kingdom will at long last fall under the might of The Iron King and the Vermillion Horde!”

The horde broke out into roaring cheers and blaring horns as they rose weapons into the sky. Soon the vast number were stampeding across the steppes.


Sonic kicked back into his seat after the plane went into a perpendicular angle and he hit the autopilot button. “Man, it’s been forever since we took a Freedom Fighter Special, A quick jaunt into low orbit altitude and from there only thirty minutes to an hour to anywhere on Mobius.”

“Yeah, the Sky Patrol might give us more support once we get there but this was the perfect way to get to our diplomatic mission/honeymoon.” Sally said as she got a handheld out. “Just enough time to check in on our operations before we get there.”

“Urk,” Fiona peaked from behind looking green. “I forgot how this plane always made me sick after that steep dive. I’ll have to start my studies into local medicines as soon as we land.”

“You didn’t have to come with us Fiona,” said Sonic. “In fact, I kind of preferred if you didn’t.”

“Hey, I’m still in the middle on my medical school studies. I have as much reason to be here as you do.”

“Sorry,” said Sally. “It’s just the last time the three of us were in Dragon Kingdom together, we weren’t on the best of terms.”

“I do recall you punching me in the stomach Sugar Queen,” Fiona turned even greener. “I shouldn’t have said stomach.”

“I’ll say,” came a feminine voice from an empty seat. “You change colors so well you could fit right in at Rainbow Valley.”

“Liza,” A male voice said from another empty seat. “You were doing so well until now.”

Espio and Liza uncloaked in the seats.

“What are you two doing here?” groaned Sonic.

“Forgive us,” said Espio. “It was the stealthiest way to see the Bride of Constant Vigil. The abilities of two of The Rectifiers have raised questions we have to speak to her of.”

“What kind of abilities?” asked Sally.

“Abilities we are only permitted to speak of to The Bride.”

Sonic groaned. “You know, you shinobi would get invited to more parties if you weren’t so mysterious all the time.”

“I’m sorry for being so cryptic,” said Liza. “But after I was de-roboticized the people of Rainbow Valley weren’t sure if the original roboticization didn’t permanently affect my mind and so they shunned me. The Bride was willing to take me in when I had no other home, the chameleons of the Valley and the two of us have all forgiven each other but I still owe too much The Bride to betray any of the clan’s secrets.”

“Look you three can go about your business,” said Sally. “Sonic and I are just going to be focused on diplomatic small talk, followed by a nice dinner.”

Fiona took an airsick bag out from the pocket in front of her. “Why did you have to mention food?”

Everyone heard a retching sound, but Fiona hadn’t opened the bag yet.

“Ugh Grace! You almost barfed right onto my hair!” came a muttered voice.

“Keep your voice down sis!” came another. “We’re supposed to be hiding!”

Sonic unbuckled. “Keep an eye on the radar Sal.”

“Well, it would be easier if Juanita didn’t keep jamming her horn into my butt!” said a third voice from a supply locker.

“I will once you stop shoving your tail into my face Salma!” came a fourth.

Sonic opened the locker, and five kids fell onto the floor.

“Oh, hi Dad!” said Manik. “Now you hide while WE count!”

Sonic crossed his arms. “Last I checked ‘start training with the rest of the team, we’ll be back in a couple of days’ didn’t mean ‘you have full permission to stow away on our trip’.”

“But you never took us anywhere other than Angel Island back home!” Sonia said. “We just wanted to go on one of your adventures for once!”

“Hate to break it to you but this is going to be as far from an adventure as it gets. Every dragon on Mobius is going to be there along with three ninja clans…”

“Two ninja clans,” said Sally. “Jian reported that because of tensions the Free People felt with them and the redundancy of kingdom army she dissolved the Raiju clan and folded its members into the regular armed forces.”

“Ok every dragon on Mobius, TWO ninja clans and the Dragon Kingdom Freedom Fighters, Mr. Perfect would be crazy to start something there now. And don’t count on The Rectifiers showing up either, not even a sparkle of a Chaos or Sol emerald has been seen in the whole country.”

“Ok, we’ll just go exploring,” said Manik. “You won’t even know we’re there!”

“And give you chance to cause trouble, no dice.”

“Uh, Juanita and I just wanted to use the Shinobi training facility!” said Salma. “We could both use it! Especially Juanita!”

“Hey, you’re the one who was failing math class back home!” said Juanita.

“We’re on summer break! Ratios and Percentages aren’t going to save my life in combat or let me sneak into an enemy base!”

“If you ask me the thing that you both need the most improvement on is your teamwork!” grumbled Espio. “The next time I hear you two arguing you’re both going to be doing so many flips can’t tell up from down! Understand?!”

The two girls’ arms snaped to their sides as they bowed. “Hai Sensei!”

“Yeah, still not used to you calling me that.”

“What about you Grace?” Fiona said her face looking a little clearer. “Why did you come?”

“Uh…no reason! I just didn’t want to go through the hassle of training!”

“Really? That’s all?”

“Hey, I’m just not a fighter.”

“But Brawn said you’re almost as strong as him and…”

“Look, no matter what they say about girl power nobody expects one to be on her second smartphone because she accidentally crushed the first one with her bare hands! I know I need the training, it’s just I’m not comfortable doing it in front of people.”

“Ok, you and Mighty one on one. Nobody else needs to see.”

“Thanks, I guess.”

“Still doesn’t explain what you’re doing here instead of playing hooky back in Freedom City.”

“Good luck with that.”

“Ok, round two…”

A light came on in the cockpit. “Sonic!” Sally shouted. “Get back up here, we’re going through turbulence!”

The plane started to shake as both Fiona and Grace started to both look green again. “…is going to have to wait!”

Both vixens made a bee line to the plane’s bathroom and seconds later the sound of both future mother and daughter retching into the toilet could be heard.


The plane approached runway near a Stormtop Village. The now growing settlement had a notable new addition that dwarfed even the famed Temple of the Golden Lotus, A grand palace with golden roofs and columns that were even now being painted a vibrant red.

“Whoa,” said Sally. “And to think just last year that palace was totally buried. It’s so wonderful that the Free People are working to reclaim their heritage.

“Still, it’s hard to imagine Dulcy being the one in charge of all this,” said Sonic. “From being exiled from her people to leading them into reconciliation with their long-lost cousins. Our not so little dragon has moved up in the world.”

“I kind of feel sorry for Ken though, I mean he had a whole prophecy about him being the King of the Free People and it looks like that role is second to the return of the Dragons.”

Sonic groaned. “All this prophecy stuff is a bigger headache than it’s worth, if it wasn’t there, I bet monkey boy would be ok with just cracking bad guy skulls.”

“It’s ok,” said Sonia. “You see the Free People end up…!”

“I don’t want to hear it!” said Sally. “I don’t care if Gold is going to suppress these memoires, I don’t want to know more about the future than I absolutely have to!”

After the plane touched down Sonic, Sally, Espio, Liza and Fiona disembarked insisting the kids stay back until the important greetings were finished.

Ken Khan was waiting for them along with two rabbits, a male with short black hair in a crimson uniform and a female with similar hair wearing purple robes with a white flower pattern on them.

“Sally, Sonic, it’s great to see you again,” said Ken. “I’m sorry I couldn’t make the wedding; we’ve all been busy uncovering and restoring the Palace of Eternal Blossoms and preparing it for the reunification ceremony.”

“It’s all right Ken,” Sally said as she gave him a big hug. “It seems like fighting a rebuilding is all any of us have done for most of our lives. I’m glad we can still be friends.”

“Speaking of let me introduce Liu Fang and his sister Liu Chi Mei,” the two rabbits bowed. “Two of my best friends in Stormtop Village.”

“Although I think Stormtop Town might be a more fitting name at this point,” said Liu Fang. “We’ll escort you and your guests to the palace and have your bags brought to your rooms.”

“Espio and Liza, right?” Chi Mei asked the chameleons. “The Bride of Eternal Vigil is expecting you; she’ll be waiting in the room we’ve set aside for her visits.”

“Thank you, Chi Mei,” Espio said with a bow. “We shouldn’t keep the bride waiting.”

“Just one more thing,” said Sally. “We have stowaways on the Freedom Fighter Special, some kids from back home who wanted to go an adventure here. Make sure they’re given a room and a place for tonight’s banquet,” Sally then gave a glare back at the plane. “And that those kids STAY in that room until it’s time for us to go home.”

Sonia and Manik groaned that she said the last part more for them than Ken.


Soon after the group had entered the palace. Several dragons were chatting away with each other both those like Dulcy with wings on their back, a kangaroo like pouch even the males possessed and a black ring in their noses but there were also several more serpentine like dragons that seemed to fly without wings, and it seemed they all held an orb of some kind in one of their four claws and that even the females had a pair of catfish like whiskers. The thing that got to Sonic most was that the two groups were tentatively talking to each other, but he sensed an air of distrust.

“These eastern dragons remind me too much of Zan,” the hedgehog grumbled. “He not only terrorized Station Square, but he was an abusive monster to Dulcy! I’m glad that G.U.N. ended up giving the creep a well-deserved missile to the face.”

“Zan was a criminal among the eastern dragons,” said Ken. “There was no love lost between them, in fact when they found out what the humans did to Zan they wanted them to give a medal to the guy who pushed the button that launched that missile.”

Fiona noticed one eastern dragon flaunting her orb while the western dragon had smoke coming from his nostrils as he grumbled. “Is it just me or are some of the eastern dragons acting a bit snobbish to the western dragons?”

“Well according to the history of the Kingdom the eastern dragons were the nobility of land when they ruled while the western made up the bulk of their army,” said Chi Mei. “Eventually the western dragons rose to make their best general the emperor and the resulting civil war devastated the land. Both sides decided to leave the land to the Free People, but the western dragons founded Vesuvio while the eastern dragons and the emperor set up their own colony in the snowy mountains. It seems like despite centuries apart old grudges die hard.”

“But Dulcy is the very symbol that proves they can live together,” said Liu Fang. “The last emperor’s son renounced his inheritance because he fell in love with a western dragon.”

“Sabina,” said Sally. “Dulcy’s mother.”

“The prince died before Dulcy even hatched and the emperor died without an heir soon after.”

Sally began getting teary-eyed. “And Sabina ended up getting Roboticized and Dulcy had to destroy her and so many other robo-dragons before they could take Vesuvio.”

“Dulcy thinks that they’ll all be reborn someday,” said Ken. “And she personally prays her parents will finally be reunited when they are. But a western dragon with the blood of the emperor has been the best chance for peace between the dragons in centuries, we just have to get past the west’s resentment and the east’s pride.”

The group entered the throne room, Dulcy was being attended by Jian the White Tiger, Cinder the Pheasant and Bunker the Tortoise while several piles of gold littered the floor. Nearby a black ox wearing a fine set of armor watched silently.

“Sally! Sonic!” Dulcy broke away from the other girls. “Thanks for coming, I’m sorry about your honeymoon, I would have helped you out with that hostage thing if I didn’t have to come back here for the reunification.”

“No sweat,” said Sonic, he then turned to the several plies of gold. “Wow, the people here must love you to give you all this treasure.”

Dulcy blushed. “That’s all going back, the only thing I ‘hoard’ are the memoires of my friends. I just haven’t found a good way to let all those men down gently.”

“Men?” asked Sally. “Women haven’t been giving you tribute?”

“Uh,” Dulcy swallowed. “I already sent the tribute back, the only treasure in this room was given by male dragons, not as tribute but as...” Dulcy seemed to be trying to ignore some unseen phantom. “Dowry payments from potential suitors.”

“Think of them as the draconic version of an engagement ring,” said Jian. “It’s traditional to for a dragon to offer part of their hoard to a potential mate.”

“How many of these suitors even know you?!” Sally fumed. “Are they just trying to status that comes with being married to the empress?!”

“Most of them actually seemed genuinely sweet,” said Dulcy. “But I’m not ready to be soultouched with anyone, not yet, not after…Zan.”

Fiona growled. “They should get to know the real you before even thinking about this stuff, but at the same time I don’t want that monster to ruin love you forever either! Dulcy, take whatever time you need think about what makes you happy, but whatever you do don’t close yourself off to love forever just because you’re afraid he’d turn into another Zan. Zan never deserved you, don’t let him control you even after he got what he truly deserved!”

“Fiona?” Sally asked.

“Scourge, hit me sometimes. He wasn’t trying to make me afraid of him like Zan did with Dulcy but he could have. I wanted to give it up for good too but Mighty, he’s been my rock the past few months. I just wanted Dulcy to know you can heal enough to love again, even if it takes time, sometimes more than you have.”

“Let’s not think about Zan anymore,” said Sonic. “Tonight’s supposed to be a party, right?”

Dulcy took a deep breath. “You’re right, the dragons, the Free People, the last thing they need is a mopey empress. General Hun.”

The ox came towards Dulcy. “Yes Empress.”

“Have all these doweries cleared out of here in time for the banquet, I’ll be making a few polite letters of refusal.”

“I’ll see that it is done my empress.”

“We better get ready for tonight,” said Sally. “I got us some traditional Dragon Kingdom clothing for the occasion, but we had a few kids stow away on the trip.”

“This will be a historic moment,” said Dulcy. “I’ll make sure there’s seats at a table for them as well.”

“Looks like Espio and Liza already split to talk to the head ninja,” said Sonic. “We’ll meet back in time for dinner.”

As the group left Ken stayed behind giving a suspicious look at General Hun. “Don’t think I haven’t forgotten how you took everyone in Stormtop Village and handed them over to Robotnik to be roboticized.”

Hun sighed as motioned for a pair of guards to begin gathering the gold. “I was roboticized myself back then, I am working to right the wrongs I made to the Free People and restore my honor.”

“Then why did you only show yourself AFTER Dulcy became empress? Just where do you come from anyway?”

“Those are good questions, and I will answer them, but not when I have duties to perform.”

Ken tightened his grip on his atomic bat. “I’m keeping an eye on you.”

Ken left the throne room as General Hun lowered his head in contemplation.


Espio and Liza sat down on a pair of pillows in front of an older chameleon woman in a green kimono with three horns lined up vertically on her forehead and scales the same color as Espio’s. She poured herself a cup of green tea and raised it to her lips. “I have heard you have something to report to me, Espio, Liza. Are you certain that whatever information you have is worth my direct attention?”

“I believe so My Bride,” said Espio.

The Bride of Constant Vigil took a sip from the cup without raising her eyes once. “You believe? Shinobi do not operate on guesswork.”

“What he means is that there is very little doubt as to the evidence we have observed My Bride!” said Liza. “But we have our own questions because…we’re not entirely sure what that information means…”

“But the possibility remains the clan might have been compromised,” said Espio. “Or will be in the future.”

The Bride finished her cup and began to pour another. “So now we’re working on what MIGHT be? Perhaps you’ve both been spending too much time with your heads in the clouds.”

“We mean no disrespect!” Espio stammered. “But these are very unusual circumstances and…”

The Bride then began to chuckle as she put the teapot down. “I was just teasing you both. This isn’t like your last visit, there are no outsiders among us. It has been so long since the last time it was just you and me alone with clan Espio so we can afford to be informal for once…” the bride looked at Espio with a loving expression. “My son.”

Espio blushed as he sighed in relief. “Thank you, Mother.”

“So informally, your report.”

Espio nodded. “The other day Liza and I engaged in combat with a new threat, an elite force who call themselves Rectifiers. We had since learned that they come from two hundred years in the future.”

The Bride began another sip of tea. “Very unusual.”

“Two of them in particular concerned us,” said Liza. “A pair who called themselves Phi One and Chi One two chameleons who at the very least had Shinobi training.”

“You suspected a traitor, but since you now know they come from the future you are unsure WHEN the treason took place.”

“There’s more,” said Espio. “They used a technique I only heard about once as a small boy; I remember it clearly because… it was the last time I ever heard Father speak before he went on that final mission.”

The Bride was still for a moment before she picked up her tea again. “What was the technique in question?”

Espio took a deep breath. “What do you know of the Hidden Art called Vanishing Fusion?”

Espio felt a chill down his spine as he noticed his mother lost control of the cup for just a split second. In all his life he had never seen her lose control of her tea.

“The rectifiers in question,” the bride said in a much sterner voice. “Describe them.”

“We couldn’t tell much because their uniforms covered them head to toe,” said Liza. “We can’t even tell you the shape of their head crests due to the shape of their helmet, all we know is that they were two females each with a single horn. After they used that art they became a human sized chameleon that called herself Phi-Chi.”

The Bride placed her tea on the table. “The fact that they used that rarely taught art signals dark times for the Shinobi Clan.”

“What do you mean mother?” asked Espio. “Is it forbidden?”

“No, but the requirements to use it are so difficult in the entire history of our clan the number of capable ninja pairs able to do it can be counted on one hand. Vanishing Fusion grants great power and speed but requires total synchronicity between the users, not just in form but thought. One needs to be extremely intimate with one’s partner while being of roughly the same body. It requires a familiarity that goes beyond friendship, preferably twins are the best users but it is not required, what is required are siblings who are as close to each other as wind and sky, a bond built and kept since early childhood. When such a pair is produced by our clan they are brought before The Bride when the youngest has reached their sixteenth year. She then bestows the knowledge of the form before they make the attempt, but even with a strong bond of love between them almost all attempts fail. In fact, the last pair able to perform Vanishing Fusion, twin brothers, had passed away of old age during that brief period for both me and your father when we thought the entirety of the world existed within the shells of our eggs.”

Espio and Liza both gasped. “So not even you had seen it done?! But for Phi One and Chi One to do it…!”

“Requires years of support from the clan, for this art to be used by ones so ended up so dark is an ill omen. The Yagu and Raiju clans fell to greed or a lust for power, and now they are gone. The Gossamer Clan’s Bride of Endless Reach came to me saying their webs had foretold dark times but that the fate of their clan was, while uncertain, intricately tied to ours. But with appearance of these two rectifiers, I fear that our clans will eventually fall into darkness as well and as a result be swept away too.”

Espio stood quickly. “There is still hope mother! A device with knowledge of the future, it might be able to prevent this from happening! The Freedom Fighters are still trying to get it to work, but once they do, we can prevent the masters of The Rectifiers from ever seizing power and the Shinobi Clan will be safe!”

The bride allowed herself a smile. “Now I truly see your father in you, my son. As much as the Four Houses professed loyalty to their Brides they were always at their best when the Brides each had a Groom at their sides to provide balance. When the time comes, I will feel at ease stepping down as Liza and you replace me as the Bride and Groom of Constant Vigil.”

Liza and Espio bowed. “We can only succeed you My Bride,” said Liza.

The Bride smiled but then looked as if trying to see past the younger chameleons. “I get the sensation that there was something else behind these events, something you haven’t told me yet.”

Espio and Liza’s scales turned a deep red as they remembered Salma and Juanita. “Uh, I’m afraid that part’s a little personal,” said Espio. “Too personal for even you Mother.”

“Very well then, I will trust you both to handle that matter then. But first…” The bride went to another room and came back with a scroll. “This scroll details the technique required to perform Hidden Art: Vanishing Fusion. Neither of you will be able to use it but perhaps that information will aid you both in your investigation.”

Espio took the scroll and hid it behind his armguard. “We will be sure to study it thoroughly when we get the chance.”

“Now I must prepare for the banquet, and I would be honored if you both would sit with me then.”

Espio was taken aback. “But the bride is to support no one member of the clan above another, not even her own child!”

“But I’m not supporting you, I’m having dinner with my son and his fiancée. The rules might be rigid, but they aren’t THAT rigid. I will make sure you are both given the appropriate attire to borrow for this evening.”

Espio allowed himself a rare smile he also saw on Liza. “Thank you, Mother.”


That evening the Throne Room had been turned into a vast banquet hall, a selection of the finest local dishes was spread out before the finely dressed guests as they sat in five long tables; four going up and down the room and one that spread left to right in front of a large golden throne shaped like the head of an eastern dragon. Dulcy rose from that throne and raised her arms.

“For the first time in two thousand years, dragons of the east and west stand together in The Palace of Eternal Blossoms. Let this mark an end and a beginning, an end to generations of strife and enmity and the beginning of a new age of prosperity for not only the dragons of east and west but of Free People as well. So, raise your cups high as we all toast. Dragons of the East, Dragons of the West, Free People, Honored Guests, let us toast; to a brighter tomorrow!”

“Here! Here!” the gathered crowd exclaimed.

“And with that, dinner is served!” As she sat back down Dulcy turned to Sally. “Thanks for writing that speech for me at the last minute.”

“No problem,” Sally said in a bright red Dragon Kingdom dress. “You should see me when I actually have time to prepare.”

Down the table a fat boar with brown fur drooled as a cover was lifted of a pile off steaming buns. “Sweet Red Bean Dumplings! My favorite!” He then began using chopsticks to pile the dumplings high on his plate.

“Careful Zhao Khan,” said a skinny looking turtle with long black hair but a large bald spot at the top. “You do know what those do to you.”

“I don’t mind Lang Khan,” Zhao said still piling dumplings. “The smell doesn’t really bother me.”

Ken groaned. “He was more worried about the people around you in a few hours Zhao. This behavior of yours is totally unbecoming of a Khan!”

The boar stopped and turned to the monkey. “Still think because of some prophecy you’re the strongest of the three of us? Well five hundred years ago Lang and I were famous until that Witchcart lady turned us into jade statues.”

“And Ken was the one who freed us remember?” said Lang.

Zhao popped a bean dumpling into his mouth. “Ha! He’s strong only because some mad doctor made him a cyborg. I on the other hand have mastered the seventy-two transformations, allowing me to shapeshift into anything I want!”

Ken smirked. “Anything except a smaller pair of pants.”

Over in a small corner table Manik struggled to put food on his plate with the provided chop sticks. “Why can’t they just give us forks like Mom and Dad do whenever we got takeout?”

“Manik,” Sonia grumbled. “We’re at a feast meant to be part of a reunification, take it more seriously.”

“I am, I don’t want to go up to someone and cause a diplomatic incident by asking for regular cutlery.”

“Then learn how to use what you were given properly,” said Salma. “Or stick to eating the soup, they give you spoons for that.”

“Can you keep it down, will you?” said Grace as she leaned to the side of her chair. “I’m trying to listen to Mom but we’re kind of far from where she’s sitting.”

“I don’t get it,” said Juanita. “You only wanted to come with us when you found out Miss Fox was going, and you’ve been spending every moment trying to spy on her.”

Grace leaned back, mostly because Jian was beginning to turn to their direction. “Look ever since we got here my mom of this time has been acting a lot different than the Mom I know.”

“So what?” said Sonia. “People change, my mom is a lot more hands on than back home, but that’s to be expected.”

“They don’t change as much mine did. My mom is strict, she has that stupid feud with Dusk’s mom but other than that she’s as dull as dishwater. Except for that story she told me about Robotnik capturing her as a kid, which I think she only told to ease me after the whole Synaptix thing, I thought her life before I was born was ‘met Dad in a prison camp, escape from said prison camp, did nothing but study to be a doctor, became a doctor, married Dad, had kids, the end’. But now it seems like she was a bit of an adventurer and Freedom Fighter herself, upset both Sonic and Princess Sally, had some creep boyfriend, she even stole something from Knuckles! It feels like my mom and this Fiona are two different people, but they aren’t and if my mom was hiding this from me, what else could she had been hiding all this time?”

“Grace, you have to be very careful about this,” said Manik. “Feels to me like if you dig too far into this, you’re going to find something you’re not going to like.”

Grace fiddled with something in one of pockets of her top. “I might not like it, but I have to know anyway.”

The sounds of explosions came from outside the palace. “Lousy timing,” said Sonic. “You don’t set off fireworks while people are eating and can’t see them.”

Dulcy put down the skewer of meat she was eating. “That’s just it, the fireworks weren’t supposed to begin until everyone went to the gardens.”

The explosions now had several horns mixed into them. Just then Liu Fang burst through the door. “Raiders! Stormtop Town and the Palace are under attack!”

“Then these raiders are fools!” bellowed an old eastern dragon. “We shall roast these mongrels before…!”

The old dragon suddenly stopped and grunted as he hunched over.

“What’s the matter?!” said young western dragon. “Got more hot air than flame?!” But as soon as he said that the young dragon grunted and stooped.

“Dulcy!” Jian, Bunker and Cinder cried out as she suffered the same effects as the other two, quickly followed by every dragon in sight.

“R-Run!” Dulcy grunted out. “Before I attack you!”

“Attack us?!” said Sally. “But you’re our friend!”

Dulcy looked up, her eyes glowing jade green. “Hurry! I can’t fight it much longer!”

“My empress!” shouted General Hun. “You must not do this! You must not dishonor yourself like that!”

The glow intensified as the other dragons began snarling at the gathered Free People. Dulcy however stopped. “I hear and obey!”

“Obey?!” shouted Ken as he swung his Atomic Bat at General Hun. “Just what are you up to Hun?! What do you have to do with this?!”

“I have no idea! You must believe me! I cannot…!”

Suddenly Sonic sneezed as the doors to the throne room burst open as dozens of armored warriors on streaking pashas rode in. Some even going as far leaping onto the tables and knocking the food all about.

“Surrender now!” Jun Kun bellowed as he and Hong Kun rode in. “And bow before the Iron King!”

In a flash Sonic took off his formal clothes and stood before the warlord. “It’s been a while Jun Kun. Last time I saw you I was using the Fan of Fen Xing to blow you out of New Mobotropolis and halfway back to Dragon Kingdom! I just have to dash over to the treasury to get it and then get ready to get blown hard blowhard!”

Sonic started moving only to be blocked by a crackling green blur. “Sorry, but you’ll have to run faster than that to get past me!”

Sonic clenched his fist. “What Moebius has its own “every guy is a girl and vice versa” counterpart zone?”

“Nothing like that, Doc Starline used Scourge as a model for my abilities, but added a few features,” The Tenrec snapped her fingers causing a spark. “He called me Surge, but I’ll call you an ambulance!”

Sonic dodged an electric punch and countered with a sweeping kick that Surge jumped over.

“Espio, Liza, Fiona!” Sally called. “Make for the treasury!”

As they moved toward that door however the way was blocked by several “tails” of water. “Sorry, but a Kitsunami has cut of access to that road,” said the little fennec fox. “That was good one liner, right Surge?”

Surge shrugged as she and Sonic were racining each other along the walls. “Eh, keep practicing.”

Jun Kun got angry as he looked at Dulcy. “Why isn’t the Empress attacking these whelps?!”

Monkey Khan turned to the Iron King angrily. “Ask Hun! He seemed to be the only one to calm her!”

The Iron King then started laughing. “Of course, She saw your armor! I bet she studied the history of this land to understand what it meant and so recognized you one of the Vermillion Horde even though we no longer do.” Jun Kun then smirked. “Little Brother!”

“Do not call me that, we are no longer brothers!” bellowed Hun. “After the Bem freed me, I realized that the way of our ancestors, raiding and pillaging from our neighbors, was not an honorable path! It was only when I heard of The Empress that I gained the courage to leave the Forsaken Steppes behind and dedicate my life to atoning those I had harmed, both as a robot slave and a brutish thug of the Vermillion Horde!”

Jun curled the fingers of the hand holding his mace towards himself. “If that’s the case try to strike me down and free your empress.”

Hun raised a polearm. “As if I needed yet another reason!”

“Hun, wait!” Sally yelled.

The ox charged and drove the polearm into the Iron King’s chest only for the spearhead to shatter on impact. Hun then starred awestruck at his destroyed weapon. “No, but how?!”

The Iron King laughed. “Fool, this is The Unbreakable Armor of Bu Wang! As long as I wear it no blade can cut me, nor arrow pierce me! In fact, I am even more invincible than before!” He turned to the Tenrec and Fennec. “Surge, Kit! Allow the hedgehog to retrieve the fan, I will allow him one shot!”

“Uh, you sure about that boss?” said Kit.

“Your Iron King has given you a command!” roared Wong Kun. “You must obey!”

Surge growled. “Ok, but if he gets his butt kicked then you have to get Starline for us yourself!”

Sonic zipped out then back in with a folding fan in hand. “It’s strike three Iron Clod and you are outta here!”

Sonic swung the fan at the Iron King, the bull then held up the Jade Seal and the intense wind suddenly died in front of it.

“All of the other artifacts of the ancient dragons are powerless before this one! The Jade Seal of Heaven!”

Sonic folded the fan as he growled. “So, you got a new toy, big whoop.”

“But you haven’t seen what the Jade Seal was made to do, the first emperor made sure his law was absolute among his dragons because of this seal. A demonstration, fetch me that scribe!”

“Here father!” Hong lifted a terrified looking mouse with a quill.

“A new decree scribe, ‘hence forth Hun Kun is no longer part of the Vermillion Horde and all his commands are to be ignored’.”

The mouse quickly scribbled the words down onto paper on a wooden board before she turned it to the Iron King. “Here!”

“Once the ink is pressed into paper by the seal then among dragons these words become absolute law!”

The Iron King stamped the paper with the seal and the ink then glowed a jade green.

“Get away!” yelled Dulcy. “Or I’ll…!” Suddenly she roared and tried to torch her friends with her fire breath. “I’m sorry, I can’t help but obey the laws of the seal!”

“You forgot one thing Iron King!” said Sally. “That seal isn’t going to make the Freedom Fighter give up!”

“Give up?!” laughed the Iron King. “You have already lost! This palace, this town, this land and soon the whole world will belong to the Iron Dominion!” Jun Kun raised his Tremor Mace towards the Freedom Fighters. “Dragons, Vermillion Horde, destroy them!”

The dragons shot fire their way as the horde began to charge.

“We need to get the kids out of here, fast!” shouted Sonic as he continued to wave the fan of Feng Xing to push all the attackers back.

“On it!” said Fiona as she ducked behind the throne and looked at a pillar set into the wall. “The switch should about…here!”

The vixen pushed a hidden button causing a hidden door to open.

“How did you even know that was there?!” asked Grace.

“Something Nic taught me as a treasure hunter, if you want to keep a monarch safe it helps to have the secret escape tunnel next to their throne.”

“Enough gabbing!” said Ken. “Everybody out now!”

“But Dulcy!” cried Cinder.

“Go now!” Dulcy growled. “Protect the people, find a way to stop the Iron King!”

The Kids went in first followed by Fiona, the Dragon Kingdom Freedom Fighters, Lang Khan, then Sally. Zhao Khan came next but was too wide to fit.

“You just had to have all those bean dumplings!” shouted Ken as he fought a few horde members off.

Zhao then changed into a mobini pig. “Seventy-two transformations remember?!” the pig said before going into the tunnel followed by Lang.

“This way My Bride!” Liza said as she and Espio escorted the Bride of Eternal Vigil through.

“You two next!” shouted Hun as he knocked one dragon into another.

“No way!” said Sonic. “They’ll destroy you!”

“Jun Kun will want me humiliated first, that will give you the time to come up with a counterattack! You are the people’s best hope, I believe you Freedom Fighters will quickly find a way to free The Empress and the other dragons! Now go!”

Sonic and Ken looked hurt as they ducked into the tunnel. Monkey Khan then swung this Atomic Bat at the ceiling to collapse part of the tunnel before any pursuers could follow and then went further into the darkness.


Hours later Hong Kun erupted into flame as he turned to a couple of raiders. “How could you let my father’s enemies escape WITH The Fan of Fen Xing?!”

“Patience my son,” the Iron King said as he sat down on the golden throne and motioned for a dragon to fill a goblet with wine. “We will get another chance; they can’t help but come to the aid of weaklings. We just have to make the Free People suffer, when the Freedom Fighters come to save the peasants THAT’s when we close the trap on them.”

“And when they do come,” spat a chained up General Hun. “They will put your new reign to an end! You covet glory while caring nothing for honor and so both will forever be out of your reach! THAT is your greatest weakness!”

Hong slapped Hun across the face. “Don’t you dare speak of my father like that traitor!”

Hun gritted his teeth. “And your blind anger is YOUR greatest weakness my nephew. You were so angry at Iron Queen Regina for making the Iron King abandon you and The Horde that you never saw your father for the wicked man he is. If you do not turn from this path now Red Prince, you will face your own ruin along with the Iron King.”

Hong Kun growled. “Shall we have Uncle Hun executed now Father?!”

“Not just yet,” Jun Kun said after a drink from the goblet. “He still serves us as bait, once we capture the rest of those upstarts, we’ll have them all executed publicly, that should put enough fear into those peasants that they will never rise against me again. For now, throw him in the dungeon.”

Hun glared at the Iron King as he was dragged away by two Horde members.

After Hun was taken away Hong smirked. “Red Prince, I like the sound of that.”

“I can make it your official title Hong,” Jun Kun said. “A fitting label for the one to lead the Vermillion Horde after my long and prosperous reign ends.”

Hong knelt before the throne. “Thank you, Father.”

“Uh not to interrupt this happy family moment,” said Surge. “But we were promised one Dark Egg Legion scientist remember?”

The Iron King took another swig of wine. “Ah, yes. It is time to make demands of the other nations in exchange for stalling my eventual invasion of their lands.” He then turned to Dulcy. “Where is communication equipment in this palace?!

Dulcy growled. She may be forced to obey Jun Kun but he could never make her LIKE doing it. “There is a console hidden in that wall, it will lower a communication screen, but I don’t think the Republic is going to give into you ‘your majesty’.”

The Iron King growled. “I do not want your opinions, only your obedience!” He went back to Surge. “The doctor’s release into our custody will be one of our demands, along with the former Iron Queen.”

Surge raised her palms upward. “Hey, you do you pal.”

Kit hid behind Surge when Jun Kun growled in frustration.

“Get me in contact with the Council of Acorn and while you’re at it contact the Ascendancy’s network and demand that Doctor Robotnick speak with me.” The Iron King smirked at the Jade Seal of Heaven. “I don’t like that his toys are intruding onto MY land.”


Dawn the next morning Sonia and Manik watched through binoculars from some bushes as a pair of giant red banners with black suns fell to cover the front walls of The Palace of Eternal Blossoms.

“Great,” gripped Manik. “I bet those fiends are alphabetizing Dulcy’s playlists as we speak.”

“Manik, take this seriously,” moaned Sonia.

“Hey when it accidentally happened to you, you screamed into your pillow for a full five minutes.”

“Let’s just report back to the shrine.”

A half minute later the two super-fast preteens had run up several flight of stairs to a small hilltop shrine. “Those Vermillion Horde guys have been making themselves at home,” Sonia told Sally. “But I don’t think they have any idea this place is even up here.”

“Let’s hope Jun Kun doesn’t get it in his head to ask Dulcy,” said Bunker. “She was with us when we used Shinjin Shrine as a base during the Phantom Ruby War.”

“That will take some time,” said Sally. “The Iron King usually only employs only one tactic, use a headlong charge to destroy the opposition with overwhelming force. The real problem is many of his soldiers are innocent dragons who are being compelled to help him because of a mystic artifact.”

“So, we just swipe the thing from him and watch as he runs from the Dragons now on our side,” said Zhao Khan.

“The seal doesn’t work on them directly but on the laws marked with it,” said the Bride of Constant Vigil. “A more viable tactic is to find the law he marked that forces the dragons to obey his army and destroy that. The sudden rebellion will sow confusion among the enemy’s ranks allowing us to be able to capture the seal and the palace. My Shinobi and the Gossamer Clan standby to launch a diversionary attack while you can lead a strike team to destroy the law in question.”

“Liza and I will help the Shinobi Clan’s attack,” said Espio.

Jian flashed the cybernetic blade in her tail. “Lang Khan will be coming with me, Bunker, and Cinder to force the Vermillion Horde out of Stormtop Town.”

Sally nodded. “Then Sonic, Ken, Fiona and myself will accompany you to get the most civilians out of danger before sneaking back into the palace to destroy that law.”

“You should take these with you,” said Cinder handing Sally five rings. “Bunker and I had been working on them here in the shrine, if one of the really big brutes come at you, they should be able to make the enemy meditate on his or her actions.”

“Thanks Cinder.”

“Wait then what am I doing?!” asked Zhao Khan.

Ken glared at Zhao. “You are staying here to make sure the children aren’t harmed, and I don’t want to hear you complain! It’s an important job and more importantly the effects of those red bean dumplings on you haven’t gone off yet and the last thing we need is for any allies to be near you when they do! So the kids stay inside, you stay outside got it?!”

Zhao folded his arms. “Spoilsport.”

“Ok treasure hunter,” Sonic said turning to Fiona. “Got any more tricks to get us back IN to the palace?”

“Funny you should mention tricks,” Grace said from a corner. “These past few days have been getting me to realize you’ve tricking me since we first met!”

Fiona looked up confused. “I don’t follow.”

Grace gritted her teeth. “I’m not buying the act anymore! You’re not who I thought you are, you never were! You’ve been hiding something from me and you’re not going anywhere until I finally get the truth out of you!”

Fiona closed her eyes. “Everyone, Grace and I need a few minutes outside, alone.” The two foxes went to a pond on the other side of the small complex. “Alright just what are you talking about?! I never tried to hide anything from you, all you had to do was ask!”

Grace just folded her arms. “Please! You’ve been lying to me since the day I was born!”

“Hold on, is this about something I haven’t even done yet?!”

“My mom is the whitest white bread, good doctor, happy homemaker stereotype around! She won’t let me pick my friends, won’t let me pick my clothes, heck I still have a seven-thirty bedtime all because she’s afraid I’ll turn into a juvenile delinquent! Then some goons from the future drag me twenty years into the past and who is my mom then? Apparently, some kind of kick butt, Freedom Fighter, Treasure Hunter, Super Thief who got into fights with the princess! So, either you’re lying to everybody else, which given how you found a secret passage without even trying is not possible, or my mother is ashamed of being awesome!”

Fiona felt her own temper flare. “Hey, I am might not be proud of everything I’ve done, but I swore to myself I wouldn’t be ashamed of any of it anymore!”

“Oh, what would the good doctor have to be ashamed of? Took two free samples instead of one, overdue library book? Come on, the truth all of it, everything about my apparently super awesome mom who decided to become Doctor Dishwater!”

“You don’t know what you are talking about, my life wasn’t just a thrill a minute roller coaster ride that I enjoyed every second of!”

“Oh yeah, then why would ANYONE want to hide even one bit of The Adventures of Super Fiona!”

“BECAUSE I WAS ONE OF THE BAD GUYS ALRIGHT?!” Fiona snapped.

Grace froze in place. “What!?”

“I lived most of my life on the other side of the law when a madman wrote most of it! I lived for myself first, and damn the consequences for anybody else! When somebody I thought of as both a big sister and mother-figure stabbed me in the back I tried to go straight, but when that started to fall apart, I decided it was more fun to be evil. So, I ditched the Freedom Fighters for a guy who was once literally called “Evil Sonic” and to prove it to everyone including myself put an exclamation point on the whole thing by slapping a little fox boy who was in love with me so hard he flew like ten feet! I was an unrepentant villain who didn’t care who I hurt so long as I wasn’t hurt first! Until that started falling apart too! I hit absolute rock bottom, had some sort of spirit/parasite possessed wizard trick me into becoming an actual witch to help piece my life back together until he brainwashed me! So yeah, I don’t know how she got there but I don’t blame your mother one bit for becoming a boring suburban housewife just to mix things up!”

Grace’s nails dug into her palms. “You hypocrite! Ever since I started school you treated me like a criminal when you actually were one! You never let me do anything after you’ve done it all!”

Fiona felt a sudden blow to the heart. “Grace, wait a minute! I’m sorry, I got angry, let’s talk about it!”

“NO! I’m done listening to you! EITHER OF YOU!”

Grace ran back to the Shrine as Fiona started after her. “Grace, come back!”

Sonic leaned out the door. “Hey Fiona, it looks like the Horde is starting a ruckus in Stormtop Town, if we’re going to save Dulcy we have to move now!”

Fiona gave a concerned look at Grace. “We’ll continue this discussion once I get back just, just don’t do anything rash ok?”

Grace folded her arms again. “Whatever.”

As the teams started to move out Salma turned to Grace. “What was going on out there?”

Grace growled. “Me seeing things clearly for the first time in my life.”


Jun Kun glared at a pair of screens in the throne room, one had the Council of Acorn glaring angrily at him and the other Viktor Robotnick sat in a chair with steepled fingers.

“Twenty-four hours!” the Iron King bellowed. “That is how long you both have, both for the Acorn Republic to hand over Doctor Starline and Regina Ferrum for interrogation and execution respectively and for the Robotnick Ascendancy to retreat all their forces from my borders!”

“We don’t need twenty-four hours!” said King Max. “The Council of Acorn does not recognize the Iron Dominion as the rightful government of the Dragon Kingdom! If our military wasn’t focused on skirmishes elsewhere, we’d send in an armed response to restore the Empress to her rightful throne!”

Jun Kun’s tail waved around furiously. “This land is mine by right of conquest!”

“A relic of more barbaric times!” Councilor Bernie said. “No government in the world today would tolerate what you have done!”

The Iron King smirked as he turned to Viktor’s screen. “Oh, I can think of one who would approve my methods and HE knows to take my threats seriously.”

Viktor’s eyes were hidden behind his glasses. “Withdraw my robots from the Dragon Kingdom or you’ll send flying fire breathing lizards and a bunch of mounted warriors armed with swords and bows to wipe them out?”

“Exactly!”

Viktor was silent, for about five seconds.

“HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You really think such a meat head move would work against the most technology advanced force on the planet lead by a perfect genius?! Hey Lilith!”

“Yes Viktor?” the female Robotnick said as she entered the room.

“This guy seriously thinks he can wipe out our entire military with dragons and medieval weaponry!”

Lilith snorted then erupted into laughter. “Seriously?! The dragons might be annoying but with our resources?! This isn’t the Great War where a bunch of woodland critters with an aversion to firearms can outthink a resource depleted modern military! Who does he think he is?! Ivo Robotnick?! HAHAHAHAHAHA!”

“Oh, thanks Jun Kun!” Viktor said catching a breath. “We REALLY needed a good laugh!”

The Iron King clenched his fist. “Fools, all of you! My dragons will burn all your lands to cinders!”

“Y’all can’t hope to win against the entire planet!” Councilor Rabbot said. “The Iron Dominion taking over the world is a pipe dream! We’re all wasting our time listenin’ to you!”

The feed to Freedom City was cut off.

“Those miserable!”

“Father!” the Red Prince said as he burst into the throne room. “The Gossamer and Shinobi clans are attacking the palace! The Freedom Fighters are attacking our forces in Stormtop Town as we speak!”

“Looks like you’re going to have your hands full,” said Viktor. “But should you manage to survive this feel free to call me anytime, we could use more comedy, Robotnick out!”

Viktor then cut his feed.

The Iron King used his mace to topple a nearby statue. “The Iron Queen made me look like a fool to the rest of the world and even now they mock me to my face! No more! These rebels, the Republic, the Ascendancy, the Federation, there will be no mercy for any of them!”

“And they shall receive none Father!” said Hong Kun. “Just say the word and I will meet them in glorious battle!”

“I will be seen as a tool or a clown no longer! The world shall once again tremble in fear of The Iron Dominion, The Vermillion Horde and the Iron King!”


The Freedom Fighters had nearly finished liberating the town and now Sally’s team made their way to one of the palace walls. “You sure there’s another way in over here?” asked Ken.

Fiona nodded. “I came here in part to study some of the medical techniques of the court alchemist of the third empress. I uncovered an interesting fact that he requested to move his lab and quarters to along the eastern wall, looking for clues in the village back there I found out the part of the old city around there was called Courtesans Row and the rest was just putting two and two together.”

Fiona moved them to the other side of a tree. “If that map was right we should start looking around…”

“Achoo!” Sonic sneezed.

Suddenly the entire group was raised up into the air in a net trap.

“You should see the looks on your faces!” Surge laughed as she and Kit came out of door that slid from the side of the wall. “Ha! The Iron King is such a dummy, he’d never think we’ll use the secret passage trick twice!” she said in a mocking voice.

“How’d you even find that door?!” yelled Ken.

“With Surge’s speed it didn’t take her long at to find it once we knew we had to look,” said Kit.

“Course we I only knew I had to look because of a crafty little fox,” said Surge.

“Geeze, thanks Surge!”

Surge groaned. “The OTHER crafty little fox.”

Kit put his hand behind his head with a blush. “Oh, yeah right.”

A young vixen came out of the bushes, Fiona’s face began to lose color. “Grace!?!”

“This brat dropped the dime on you guys faster than it takes me to run a DEL live fire course!” Surge laughed.

“Grace, listen to me!” pleaded Fiona. “I know you’re hurt right now but what ever you think you’re going to get out of this isn’t going to be worth it! Don’t do something you can never take back, please!”

“I told you I’m done listening to you,” Grace said coldly.

“You two close?” asked Kit.

“…Not anymore.”

“Smart move if you ask me,” said Surge. “After the two of us got our pasts and memoires wiped by Doctor Starline nobody came looking for us or asked who we were. The way I see it if you don’t have a past then if somebody gets in your way, they don’t get a future. Good luck out there, I’m going to get some guards to haul these clowns in.”

“Actually, I want to go with you two!” said Grace. “I can be very useful!”

“Oh wow, can we Surge?!” said Kit. “It’d be great to have someone new to talk to!”

“Grace don’t!” cried Fiona.

Surge knelt as she tried to shoo a bug away. “Depends kid, what can you do?”

“I’m like crazy strong!” Grace boasted. “I also can play guitar and I’m awesome at distractions!”

“Sounds useful, what kind of distractions?”

Grace had a mischievous smirk on her face. “Distractions like the one you fell for just now.”

The bug that flew higher into the air suddenly transformed into Zhao Khan right above Surge and Kit.

“PIG BOTTOM!”

“GAAAAAAGGHHH!”

Zhao landed butt first on top of the two former legionnaires, pinning them to the ground as he sat on them.

Salma and Juanita uncloaked as they began using kunai on the rope holding the net up. “We’ll have you down in a second!”

“You’re toast kid!” growled Surge as electricity began to crackle around her. “Once I fry this guy like bacon, you’re next!”

“Surge, careful!” shouted Kit. “You don’t want to zap me too!”

Suddenly Zhao’s stomach made a disturbing sound.

“Uh oh, here comes those bean dumplings!”

A very loud and wet sounding fart echoed through the valley.

“GAG!!! THAT REEKS!!!”

“UNCLE, UNCLE!!!”

The two cyborgs were rendered unconscious by the relentless assault on their noses. Everyone else around Zhao pinched their nose closed for dear life.

“When this battle goes down in the history of the Dragon Kingdom,” said Ken. “Let’s leave this part out.”

Zhao turned beet red.

“Grace don’t you ever scare me like that again!” Fiona cried as she hugged the little cub.

“I’m sorry Mo-Ma’am, I know it must have really hurt you, but I needed to convince them.”

“Well, you did a great job,” said Sonia as she and Manik ran up. “You almost convinced me you’d gone dark side and I was the one who came up with this plan in the first place!”

“Seriously though,” said Grace. “After the guys decided to go with Sonia’s plan I did some thinking. Mom wasn’t ashamed of what she did, she was just afraid of me going through a lot of the bad stuff she did and probably thought if I didn’t know about it I wouldn’t be tempted to follow in her footsteps.”

Fiona sighed. “I can see now, your name is Grace, probably because your mother was given so much of it by her friends and she was grateful for a second chance.”

“I hate to postpone this moment,” said Sally. “But I’m still hung on the fact that you kids came up with a plan to put yourselves in danger?!” Sally then turned back to Zhao. “And you agreed to help them?!”

“The little blue one was very convincing!” said Zhao.

“He means it,” said Sonia. “It would have fallen apart before we started without Manik.”


A few hours earlier

Grace fumed up in the Shrine. “The sooner we can all go home the better, then I can get by until I turn eighteen then I’m out the door for good!”

“We should be out there!” said Salma. “Helping them fight that tin plated tyrant!”

“Yeah,” said Sonia. “I gave it some thought, that seal makes the Iron King almost untouchable, but we might be able to create an opening for one of the adults to take him down!”

“You kidding?” said Juanita. “Those dragons would roast us alive and any one of those Horde goons could crush our heads like an overripe melon!”

“Maybe if you kept up with your training, they wouldn’t seem so scary!” said Salma.

“Juanita’s right!” said Grace. “Sonia, it takes more to be a leader than being able to come up with a good plan!  We know what the enemy can do to us and we won’t stand a chance, not with what little we got!”

“Guys, guys, guys!” Manik suddenly shouted. “Yeah, we know what they can do, but more importantly we know what we can do! Sonia you’re brilliant, more brilliant than I can ever hope to be. Grace, you have your dad’s strength AND like it or not your mom’s cunning, that’s a sweet combination in my book. Salma, Juanita you both have that mad ninja thing and I have seen you both work together before; when you two get in sync it blows my mind! If we can get all this preteen drama to the side for a while and put all that together, if we stay fast and focused, we can pull this off and beat these clowns! Who’s with me?!”

Manik suddenly saw a spark of hope in their eyes that wasn’t there a moment ago.

“Right to the end bro!” said Sonia.

“Yeah, let’s do it!” said Juanita.

“You and me together Sis!” said Salma.

“If my mom can be that awesome, then maybe I can just as awesome too!” said Grace.

“I don’t know what you are talking about in there, but it sounds like you want to rush onto the field of battle without regret!” sad Zhao. “That sounds exhilarating! Count me in!”

“Ok then like Sonic used to say, let’s do it to it!”


“Yeah,” said Manik. “I actually don’t know what happened in that shrine but it just felt right to help my friends like that.”

“I think I get it,” said Sally. “There are many things a leader can be taught to make their comrades do. Hold a line, take an objective, follow a plan… but there’s something no leader can be taught, something not every leader can do, something that only comes from within when push comes to shove, make their friends believe. I was able to do it, Sonic has an uncanny ability to do it and it looks like it’s something you can do too Manik. All right, you can come with us the rest of the way, Sonia tell me this brilliant plan of yours.”


Jun Kun looked out a window towards a raging battle outside the palace between an army of ninja and his dragons and Vermillion Horde. “This will not stand! I shall crush them all! Examples will be made! Heads will roll!”

“Wedgies will be given!” Manik shouted. “Sorry I’m still kind of new to the snappy comebacks!”

The Iron King and Red Prince growled as they turned as saw the Freedom Fighters stand against them. “My patience for you both had run out long ago! You meddlesome needled rat and you tree swinging clown! Empress, turn them to ash!”

Dulcy flew in and roared. “Sorry Empress!” Zhao yelled as he and Fiona tackled held Dulcy. “Just give us a few moments and this will all be over!”

“Forget the dragon!” shouted Hong Kun as he burst into flame. “I will incinerate them myself!”

“Time to see what these can do!” Sally took out the five rings and tossed them towards the Red Prince.

Each ring seem to wrap itself around his wrists, ankles and forehead.

“Ha! You think mere jewelry will…!” The rings then started to glow and pull at Hong’s limbs. “What devilry is this?!”

The rings then completely immobilized the Red Prince into siting cross legged, his arms crossed on his chest and his head bowing downward.

Sally smiled. “Well Cinder said these would make the enemy meditate on their actions, and he looks like he’s meditating to me!”

“Father!” Hong Kun yelled. “Help me!”

“Useless all of you!” the Iron King roared as he took out a piece of paper marked with the seal. “No matter according to this law all dragons must obey the Vermillion Horde, I will call them all to my aid!”

“Give it up ribeye!” said Sonic. He Spin Dashed into the document shredding it to pieces. “That law isn’t worth the paper it’s written on!”

The jade glow left Dulcy’s eyes and from the sounds of panic outside it did the same to all the other dragons. “Jun Kun!” yelled Dulcy. “This is my ancestral home, and you are not welcome here!”

The dragoness breathed hot flame onto the Iron King but even as he burned, he laughed it off. “I still have the Unbreakable Armor of Bu Wang! You cannot harm me!”

“Good thing we still have this then!” said Sonic as he waved the Fan of Fen Xing at the warlord.

The Iron King pulled out the seal stopping the wind. “No, not this time! I will not be denied, you’ve played your last card!”

“Wrong! I still have an ace up my sleeve! Actually, I have five aces, and nothing beats that!”

Sonia and Manic each grabbed a tapestry from the wall and began wrapping them around the Iron King. Grace hopped up on Jun Kun’s shoulders and grabbed the rim of his helmet while Salma and Juanita threw shuriken and kunai at the tapestry pinning him in place.

“You think, I can be bested by mere children!?!”

Jun Kun then flexed tossing all the Future Freedom Fighters against the wall.

“I am Jun Kun, I am the Iron King! I lead the Vermillion Horde; I cannot be defeated in battle as long as I hold the Tremor Mace and wear the Unbreakable Armor of Bu Wang!”

Grace gave a mischievous smirk as she looked up. “Are you sure, about that last one?” She moved to the side to show the Iron King’s helmet.

The next instant Ken Khan leapt high into the air spinning his Atomic Bat in circles over his head. “Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!”

Jun Kun could only stare in terror as Monkey Khan brought the Atomic Bat down on his bare head with a mighty crash ringing it like a gong. The warlord began swaying from side to side.

“Nooooooo…it waaaaaassss alllllllllll…miiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnneeeeee….”

Jun Kun collapsed unconscious to the floor; the Jade Seal of Heaven rolled out of his hand over to Sonic’s feet.

“FAAAAAAAAATHEEEEEEEER!” the Red Prince yelled in disbelief.

Ken lifted his staff to this shoulder and looked down on his handiwork with a smile. “Looks like the Iron King finally got crowned.”

Sonic picked up the Jade Seal. “All that’s left is to smash this thing so the dragons will be free from…!”

Sally snatched the seal from Sonic with a huff. “There is a way to do that without destroying an ancient sacred relic.”

Sally moved over to a desk and set a pen to paper. “Henceforth and forevermore, no dragon shall be mystically compelled to obey any other law marked with the Jade Seal of Heaven.” Sally then set the seal with ink and turned to Dulcy. “Care to do the honors, Empress Dulcy?”

Dulcy came up and took the seal. “With pleasure, Princess Sally Acorn.”

Dulcy used the stamp to mark the paper and the ancient words “Anointed by the gods, may the reign of The Emperor be long and prosperous” glowed jade on the page until fading back into black ink.

“There’s that sexy brain of yours,” Sonic said with a smile. “And that penmanship is incredible!”

“Thanks, dear. I had a lot of practice ghost writing for the Knothole Gazette’s romance advice column.”


The Freedom Fighters stood before Dulcy as the throne room was crowded with people.

“Thanks to you, Jun Kun and Hong Kun have been stripped of all artifacts and are safely locked away in the palace dungeon.” Dulcy said with an official air. “The Vermillion Horde has retreated to the Forsaken Steppes once again, the former legionaries; Surge the Tenrec and Kitsunami the Fennec; are currently en route to Freedom City Prison to begin their rehabilitation and the bonds of family between the dragons of east and west have been fully restored. Once again, the Free People can live up to the name thanks to Sonic the Hedgehog and his heroic allies.”

The crowd cheered as the Freedom Fighters bowed to Dulcy.

“This is the Dragons’ homeland, but one we gave to the ones we had once harmed the most long ago. While the dragons need an empress or emperor to ensure this will always be a pristine place to return and contemplate our history, that is where the role of the Dragon Empress or Emperor must end. The Free People need a Free King, and I am already certain they have chosen based not only on prophecy but because of the heart and dedication he has shown them.

The crowd then began chanting. “Mon-Key-King! Mon-Key-King! Mon-Key-King!”

“Ken Khan, do you accept this role? This burden? Of being the Free King of the Free People?”

Monkey Khan knelt before Dulcy. “I accept, with humility and respect.”

Dulcy took a lotus shaped crown from General Hun and placed it on Ken’s head. “Then rise, Monkey King and let your destiny finally be fulfilled.”

Ken stood and waved to the crowd who roared out in celebration.

A short time later Sally and Sonic came up the Monkey King. “Congratulations Ken,” said Sally. “I know you will be a wonderful king to the Free People.”

“Thanks,” Ken said with a smile. “You sure you don’t regret who you ended up with?”

“Not for a second, but you have a wonderful heart and I’m certain you’ll find a fitting Queen to be at your side someday.”

Ken gave a sideways glance at Liu Chi Mei as she and her brother laughed. “Maybe I just wasn’t paying close enough attention before.”

“Well, we got to start getting back home,” said Sonic. “There’s still Mr. Perfect and The Rectifiers out there waiting to cause trouble.” Sonic then gave a competitive smirk. “But if you ever need me to pull your monkey butt out of the fire again just call.”

Ken gave an equally competitive smirk. “And if you ever need me to save your pointy hide, I’m sure I’ll be able to make room on my schedule for it.”

The two gave each other a fist bump and a competitive smile.

I get the future me was just trying to protect you,” Fiona told Grace. “But you’re growing up and that means I should have started to trust you with my past.”

“You don’t have to worry about me repeating all your old mistakes,” said Grace. “I’ll probably be way too busy making all new ones on my own.”

“I won’t be able remember while you were little, but once I do I think you’ll find there will be a few changes and mostly for the better. In the meantime, since I am not your mother yet there shouldn’t be any harm in letting you do a few things she normally wouldn’t let you, within reason of course.”

Grace’s eyes brightened. “Does that mean I can get black lip gloss and nail polish?!”

“Go nuts.”

“I can go to bed at eleven?!”

“Nine, while you’re here, at home you and your mom can talk about it.”

“Can I get a luminal inlay?!”

“No idea what that is, probably not invented yet.”

“It’s this circuit you embed in your skin to display images like they’re holographic animated tattoos!”

“Absolutely not.”

“Uh, a milkshake without having to eat a serving of vegetables first?”

“Only if I can have one too.”

Grace then reached into a pocket on her top. “Actually, there’s one thing she let me do myself or did for me, but I haven’t done either in a while because I was angry with her…” Grace pulled out a little blue ribbon while pulling her hair back into a ponytail. “Could you…tie this into my hair?”

Fiona noticed the resemblance to her own yellow ribbon, the one her mother gave her. “I would love to. Did you know that there’s a story behind my ribbon and that it might have to do with why your mother gave you yours?”

Grace turned to let Fiona work the ribbon into her hair. “No, is there also a story behind the black outfit in Mom’s closet with the steel toed boots she says she only wears for Dad on special nights?”

Fiona blushed. “Not like that, we won’t be getting into that. But I’ll have to find a way to remind myself not to throw out my bad girl outfit.”

The two foxes then had a good laugh.

“You’ll find we packed everything up for you both already!” Salma said to Espio.

“And loaded it onto the Freedom Fighter Special!” said Juanita.

“Good work,” said Espio. “You did very well in the battle today.”

“I heard that you worked extremely well together too,” said Liza.

Salma looked to the side. “Well, Juanita can still be very annoying…”

Juanita looked the other way. “And Salma can be a real stick in the mud sometimes…”

The two then turned to each other and spoke together. “But she is my sister and I love her more than I could ever say.”

“Truly a bond that can rival some of the greatest Shinobi,” Espio then pointed at both girls. “But that doesn’t mean you can afford to slack off! The Rectifiers are still a threat, and your training will continue so if you must face them again you will be ready!”

Both girls snapped their arms to their sides and bowed. “Hai, Sensei!”

Espio allowed himself another rare smile. “Maybe I can get used to this Sensei thing after all.”

“I think it fits you,” Liza said before planting a kiss on Espio’s cheek.

Soon the whole group was aboard the Freedom Fighter Special as it readied for takeoff. “We should be back in an hour daddy,” Sally told King Max on the display.

“That’s good to hear,” Max said back. “I send you both on a quiet diplomatic mission and you end up getting involved in one of the largest battles the Dragon Kingdom has ever seen!”

“Not our fault the Iron King doesn’t play well with others,” said Sonic. “Hopefully this will be last we see of him, and our next diplomatic mission won’t be so eventful.”

Max looked down. “Sadly, I have to dash that latter hope.”

“What do mean Daddy?” Sally asked.

“Soon after we cut off contact with the Iron King the council received another message from an old friend of yours Sonic, Ceneca-9009.”

Sonic bolted upright. “The Bem who invented the De-Roboticizer?! But she’s in hiding, why call us now?!”

“Apparently the Bem need our help for once, you have to return quickly and prepare a team for a new diplomatic mission, one Ceneca says will not only have dire consequences for the Republic or even Mobius but the entire Galaxy.”

Chapter 32: Cosmo in the Rye

Summary:

The Freedom Fighters must walk the tightrope of interstellar diplomacy when Mobius is visited by an alien race hiding more than its share of secrets. While Tails and Cream make a new friend, plots local and galactic converge on Freedom City as emotions are tested and the fate of cosmic nations hang in the balance.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“The servers are the Seven Chaos,” Lara-Su said as she sat closed eyed and cross legged across from the Master Emerald. “Chaos is power, power is enriched by the heart, the heart is the Controller, the Controller is the one to unify the Chaos.”

“You say the words well,” said a little ant Mobian who was standing on Lara’s shoulder. “But do you know what they mean?”

“Lara opened her eyes and looked at the ant. “The seven chaos emeralds can change thoughts into power and the master emerald can neutralize the power of the chaos emeralds. Every echidna knows that Archimedes.”

Archimedes sighed. “No, no, no! It’s much deeper than that! The only real difference between the chaos emeralds and the master emerald is the amount of energy they draw from the chaos force; the master emerald can draw in more than the chaos emeralds but drawing power from the master directly is difficult for most. The point is as strong as they are the emeralds rely on the holder’s thoughts to draw that power. Adepts can tap into that power with the gems but only in specific way to enhance an adept’s power even further. Heart of the user is just as much, if not more, of a controller as the Master Emerald, but emerald or not you need to have full mastery of your own emotional awareness to utilize chaos energy to its full potential. An adept grows in power as they grow as a person, that’s why overcoming a personal ordeal tends to make them much more powerful all at once.”

“So… in order to get stronger an adept doesn’t need the one of the emeralds they need…therapy?”

Archimedes sighed again. “No! Well, sometimes that might work, but you’re still missing the point! There is no defined way or training regimen for an adept to become stronger because it is always different from person to person.”

“Wait I need to do training to get stronger but if there’s no training method to get stronger, than what am I even supposed to do?!”

“Grow, mature! I know this sounds frustrating but if you want to grow your powers you just have to find other ways to improve yourself. If an adept’s power lets them move faster, they can run every day to improve their speed, if it makes them more powerful, they can build their muscles to build their strength.”

“So, I just need to work out?”

“Not just that, working your body only helps because the confidence that gives to YOUR MIND, it is your thoughts that become power. Overcoming trauma, opening yourself to others, gaining knowledge, all these can strengthen the connection to the Chaos Force too and allow you to draw even more energy from it. You probably experienced this yourself at least once.”

Lara though about her failed efforts at camp and how she felt since she arrived in the past. “Yeah, I went through something really bad when I was little and I buried it, I made myself remember recently and I not only remembered what happened but why I wanted to become stronger in the first place and ever since it actually feels like my power is stronger.”

“When you saw that and grew inside your power grew as well. Look for those opportunities, they are all around you, it never really stops until we finally pass on and rejoin the Chaos Force at the end of our lives.”

“I understand that’s part of what the echidna believe happens after we die but I have another question about it. Why is it called the Chaos Force? I mean chaos is the opposite of order, it can be good or bad but generally it’s just random. But we’re supposed to harness and direct this power, heck the most famous power is called “Chaos Control” How do you control chaos?”

“A common misconception, but it’s on the right track. When we refer to Chaos Power, we’re talking about something the ancients in many cultures recognized that we call primordial chaos. Close your eyes again.”

Lara did so.

“Now imagine, we’ve travelled far, far back in time. Before Mobians or humans, before the planet, before the sun, moon and stars, before even matter and energy itself, what do you see?”

“Nothing, there shouldn’t be anything.”

“Not to the ancients. Picture this, there is darkness but also a vast unmoving ocean, a perfectly still and empty bottomless sea stretching out into infinity. Then from that something emerges, it wasn’t sunken beneath that sea but had just been created by it. Usually it’s a being, the first of the gods, others may come or not but always those that emerge then reach into that ocean and begin to shape more beings and things out of it, the who and what happens after varies between cultures, but the important thing is what those stories were about, what you are imagining now, the creation of the world. THAT is the chaos you are connected to, the pure untouched stuff of creation. Chaos energy can be used for good or evil because it can become literally anything based on your thoughts! The only real limits to it are how the user thinks and perceives the world.”

“So, someone could say tap into the Chaos Force and literally remake the universe?”

“It would take a being whose power would be on a scale far, far, FAR beyond any we have ever met and most likely we probably never will, but you are right that the POTENTIAL is there in the Chaos Force. Makes you really wonder what you’ve gotten yourself into huh?”

“Archimedes,” Knuckles said as he approached with a duffle bag over his shoulder. “Our time’s up for today.”

Lara got up as the fire ant teleported to Knuckle’s palm in a puff of smoke. “This girl you found is really something else, despite some faulty preconceptions she has a better grasp on the use of chaos energy at such a young age than previous guardians did by the time they married. Honestly now that we went over how chaos energy works, I don’t think I can teach her anymore, on this subject at least.”

“Glad you like her, and here I thought you’d be mad I didn’t contact you for so long.”

Archimedes looked over to the mountains.  “We’ve both been busy because of what Eggman did. Most of the Fire Ant leaders were killed in the Egg Grapes, when the echidna of Albion vanished, I helped the rest of my people as best I could just to not think about how our age-old friendship with the echidna might have ended because of how one or both sides of it might become extinct. But you’ve grown yourself since then, you barely need my help anymore.”

“Doesn’t mean I don’t need you as a friend, speaking of did you get back in touch with Athair?”

“Yes, I did, back from death and ascension but not by choice, still it was nice to see one of the elder’s partners still alive and well. But I was not as happy at him being back as Crystal-La, that sweet old woman and her husband deserve to be together after being ripped apart for so long and she absolutely loves playing grandmother to little Aurora and Enerjak. Aurora especially, says she just felt like family for some reason.”

“I should probably stop by and visit them sometime too, but that’ll have to wait for another day. Guardian business, can’t really make it public yet, but I would tell you if I wasn’t already so pressed for time.”

“Well then don’t linger on my account, just let me know when I can stop by you and Julie’s place for dinner. I hear she’s been trying to make ant colony casserole, imagine a tomboy like her making such a homely meal.”

“Well keep imagining it, every casserole she put into the oven so far came out blackened and charred but she stubbornly refuses to give up. ‘Not going to let a recipe get the better of me’ she says.” Knuckles turned to Lara-Su. “Come on Maril-In, I’ll drop you off at home on my way.”

Lara nodded. Archimedes vanished in a puff of smoke as Knuckles used his guiding star gem and soon both he and Lara were in the Hideaway.

“Did we really have to lie to Uncle Archie?” Lara asked. “I mean I think he was this close to figuring it out himself.”

“The fewer people who know the fewer Gold will have to mess with later, but hey you really impressed him like you impressed me with the progress you kids have made these past few days.”

Lara smiled as she put her hands on her hips. “Yeah, ever since Skye and Manik came back from their adventures it’s like something clicked for everybody. We’ve not just been getting better at this combat training but just connecting with each other just feels easier and yeah, we still argue, a lot, but it never lasts. Megan said we shown this special bond with each other ever since we were babies that just kinda went away, but it feels like it’s starting to come to come back to everyone.”

“Out of my way Red!” Gleam said as she stormed by in frustration.

Lara sighed. “Well, almost everyone.”

“I thought you didn’t like her,” said Knuckles.

“I don’t remember much of when I was very little, but I remember being close friends with Gleam, even if we drifted apart how did we become arch-rivals?”

“Probably because you’re both more alike than either of your care to admit,” Knuckles sighed. “Listen, I must get going, Julie and Ray are already waiting for me to get on the Sky Patrol. We should be back with the Knothole Freedom Fighters, Blaze, Silver and Marine by the day after tomorrow, but we’ll still be busy here until the day after that if things go smoothly.”

Lara folded her arms. “What’s going on again? Ever since Sonic came back, he and Princess Sally have been super serious and so has every Freedom Fighter they’ve talked to since. Is it The Rectifiers? Do you have a plan to get the emeralds back from them?”

“You just have to trust me for now, you kids had helped out a bit since you got here but this is something we have to handle on our own. I can tell you this has nothing to do with rectifiers, all’s been quiet on that front. We think they already have all the emeralds except for the two Robotnick and Blaze each have, they’re waiting for something but until we have more intel as to what all we can do is sit tight.”

“What about the data capsule? Doctor L recovered enough to get out of the hospital for a few hours at a time. She must have cracked it by now.”

“The brain trust ran into a bit of a snag, they fixed the capsule but in doing so triggered an encryption protocol, probably a safeguard against the Imperium. L can help them decode it but not without a high-level Ascendancy decryption key as a cipher so at some point we’re going to need to find where Viktor is hiding and steal one from him, preferably getting his emerald in the process.”

“And that’s what you’re doing?” asked Lara.

Knuckles turned to the door. “The Secret Freedom Fighters are looking for clues; I have a different job you don’t need to worry about. You and the rest of the kids take the next couple of days off, you earned it.”

Knuckles then left before Lara could ask any more questions. Sighing she went into the common room and heard a sharp twang.

“Not again!” Grace grumbled as she looked at a guitar with a broken sting. “I’m gonna be broke when I get home if I have to keep blowing my allowance on new guitar stings!”

“Maybe if you didn’t just get the cheap stuff,” said Gale from behind a set of drums.

“Tried it, the good ones break just as easy against my strength, I’d only waste more money. I’ve gotten better at controlling it, but they still feel too light against my fingers.”

“If you don’t mind sis I have an idea,” said Brawn. “I heard bass strings are heavier, maybe your improved control would work with those.”

“But Taffy is our bassist,” Grace turned to the rabbit. “Hey Taff, mind if we swap?”

“Actually, Pull and I had an idea,” said Taffy. “We’d sound even better if we added a synthesizer of some kind into the mix, like a keytar. So how about you take bass, I’ll play the keytar and Melody can be both our lead guitar and vocalist?”

“That could work,” said Melody. “You ok with that Gale?”

“With me on drums we could add an accordion and we’d be rocking! Yeah, change things up, maybe then we’ll really shine.”

Melody then looked deep in thought. “Shine…bright…that’s it! I got our name!”

“The Future Freedom Fighters?” asked Brawn.

“Not for the team, for our band! Neon Lollipop!”

“Neon Lollipop?” asked Grace.

“Think about it, we’re bright, we’re loud, we’re sweet AND in your face! Neon Lollipop!”

“I like it!” said Taffy.

“Sounds turbo speed!” said Grace.

“I like it too,” said Gale. “In a sarcastically ironic sort of way but yeah.”

“So that’s it!” Melody said with grin. “We’re Neon Lollipop!”

“Hey, I think I can get Mellow to design you girls a logo! He’s good with artsy stuff!”

“Thanks, little bro!” said Grace.

Melody smiled. “You know now we have some time off we should celebrate our new band somehow!”

“Then I got just the thing!” said Aleena. “Cocoa and I found out that tomorrow, ‘A Farewell to My Sorrows’ is going to be coming out in theaters! We can watch it when it first came out on the big screen!”

All the girls sighed, though Gleam tried to hide it as best she could.

“I love that movie,” said Cocoa. “I bet we all remember when our moms first showed it to us. To think they’re going to be seeing it for the first time soon! I still always cry!”

The boys all rolled their eyes. “Chick flick!”

“My mom used to be a ruthless leader of the Dark Legion,” said Rutan. “She’s still usually super tough, and even SHE gets reduced to a bucket of tears by that movie!”

Salma gave an annoyed glare at Rutan. “The only bad thing about ‘A Farewell to My Sorrows’ is that it seems to be impossible to enjoy unless you lack a Y chromosome!”

“I’m happy about you guys are getting this band into shape,” said Lara. “And I’m excited about ‘Farewell’ too. But haven’t you noticed anything strange about the adults lately?”

“Now that you mention it,” said Manik. “On the way back from the Dragon Kingdom Mom and Dad called grandpa. We weren’t paying that much attention because we were still riding the high of beating the Iron King like he was a cheap drum but after that call they became like super serious.”

“That’s not all,” said Sonia. “It seemed like every time they talked to one of the Freedom Fighters afterward, they got all serious and secretive too.”

“It was the worst with Mother and Father,” pouted Astral. “They actually said yes at first to us attending the Gemfire Ball tomorrow, but as soon as they heard whatever it was, they not only changed their minds, but Mother actually began calling the various nobles asking them not to attend.”

“But the strangest part of that was the noble’s response,” mused Flare. “Seems like more of them than Mother expected agreed with her, like they were suddenly AFRAID of attending and Mother acted like it wasn’t a good sign.”

“Ok, something is definitely up,” said Lara. “Dad says it’s not the rectifiers and Robotnick’s been quiet too except for that attack on Sylvania Castle, so maybe one of their other enemies is planning something really big?

“Oh, Aura knows!” said Slim. “When she noticed something weird was happening, she snuck over to the Council Rotunda and…!”

“I didn’t want anyone to know yet Slim!” Aura said with a twinge. “I’m still trying to piece together what it all means!”

Slim flattened his ears. “Oh, sorry sis…”

“Aura, you have to tell us,” Lara asked. “This could be important.”

The rose gold tenrec sighed. “Well, I read the mind of one of the acorn soldiers who was guard duty in the council chambers when the whole Jade Seal thing was going down. Turns out that shortly after the Iron King made his demands The Council got a message from an alien named Ceneca…”


The Sky Patrol 2 was in the air and in the conference room the Freedom Fighters were looking at a hologram of Ceneca. “Alright,” Sally sighed. “Run through your version of what The Council told us before we get to Blaze’s Palace.”

The four-armed alien nodded. “For the last twenty-five millennia the Milky Way was divided between two political powers; the Xorda Empire and the Bem led Coalition of Ordered Worlds.”

“You’re the leaders of C.O.W.?” groaned Sonic.

Ceneca looked slightly embarrassed. “The acronym spells something much more awe inspiring in the original Bem language, but I digress. All this changed with the recent invasion of the Black Arms into the galaxy, the Xorda choose to meet the invaders over Argentum however it had been millennia since the Xorda had to fight military opposition of equal strength and were unprepared for how quickly Black Doom was able to replenish his lost forces. With the Xorda fleet wiped out they were forced to retreat to Xorda Prime, leaving hundreds of vassal species to fend for themselves. Meanwhile our home world was so devastated in the crossfire that my sisters were forced to withdraw most of our time and resources to rebuilding efforts that could take anywhere from decades to centuries, leaving most associate members of The Coalition in a similar state to those former Xorda worlds. This has created a galaxy wide power vacuum with dozens of rouge states, warlords, pirate fleets, criminal syndicates and megacorporations all fighting against each other to fill the void we and the Xorda left behind. If this situation continues for too long, we could be facing the total collapse of galactic civilization within two centuries.”

“The perfect feeding ground for the Imperium’s conquest,” Silver muttered to himself.

“I’m truly sorry,” Sally said to Ceneca. “But on a galactic scale Mobius is a backwater world on the fringes of Xorda territory that can barely deal with the tyrants that pop up here. How can we possibly keep the rest of the galaxy from destroying itself?”

“Thanks to Shadow the Black Arms have been rendered powerless, that caught the attention of several galactic bodies. If it weren’t for the Xorda’s attack on what your people call ‘The First Day of Fury’ Earth would have been approached for Coalition membership millennia ago. The Coalition needs fresh blood and the energy and drive your people possess can inspire the other members to hold together. My sisters and I see that potential, but most species view your people as too primitive, however an opportunity has presented itself to get the species of your planet up to speed while adding another stabilizing element to the Coalition and together you both should be able to hold the collapse off until the Bem can fully reenter the galactic stage. I was tasked by my sisters to escort representatives of the Seedrian Sovereignty to Mobius so that they may enter negotiations with your people.”

“Negotiations for what?” asked Tails. “Who the Seedrian Sovereignty?”

“The Seedrian Sovereignty is a minor and reclusive galactic power from the planet Green Gate on the far side of Coalition Space. They had shown very rapid advancement, in the time between the Xorda attack on Earth to the beginning of the current century the Seedrians went from neolithic hunter gatherers to having colonies in two dozen systems and even acting to prevent an interstellar war between the neighboring Hobidon and Cascadians. That area of space went silent about fifteen years ago now until Argentum was contacted by a Seedrian ship days ago, the ship I have been traveling on. They claim they are willing to provide Mobius with their advanced technology in exchange for establishing a colony on your planet.”

“A colony?” mused Knuckles. “They aren’t planning on taking us over, are they?”

Ceneca shook her head. “I do not see how that is possible for them. The ship I am travelling on was built to carry first in colonists, the total complement is only twenty-five hundred, far too few to hold anything other than an uninhabited planet, not one that already has a population in the millions.”

“So, they’re going to build their own city here,” said Rotor. “Not a lot of good real estate on Mobius that isn’t either already claimed or was turned into toxic wasteland during the Robotnick Regime.”

“So, we just find them a place to crash, and they give us sweet tech,” said Sonic. “I don’t see why you’re so worried.”

Ceneca looked at Sonic like a schoolteacher. “Because the Seedrians, while a species dedicated to peace, have shown they can be ruthless in keeping that peace, especially their males who call themselves Thorndrigans. The females, the Petali, are a bit more reasonable but not beyond employing the same tactics. That war between the Hobidon and Cascadians I mentioned? They stopped it by threating to wipe out both species with a barrage of nuclear weapons. They are a very passionate people and easily offended, not only that but they are a plant-based species with a history of distrust towards species descended from the animal kingdom. While I doubt this ship has anything beyond anti-pirate weapons, they can still decide to refuse to work with you, something we cannot afford given the state of the galaxy.”

Blaze stood up. “I have extended an invitation to the Seedrians to attend the Gemfire Ball, that is why I asked that the representatives on this mission invite their significant others. Hopefully after a night of dancing, some drinks and small talk to get to know each other it should make negotiations back at Freedom City a bit smoother.”

“A small delegation and I will leave the colony ship Earthia’s Promise and arrive via the Sovereign’s personal yacht.”

“Zheir leader came with zhe colonists?!” asked Antione.

“I don’t know why the Sovereign is here, I’m afraid our information as to the current state of Seedrian politics, along with just about everything else about them since Seedrian Space fell silent, has been lacking.”

“There’s something else is bothering you about them isn’t there?” asked Tails.

Cencea looked to the side with an expression that seemed almost distrusting. “In the time I have traveled with the Seedrians, while they have been very accommodating, I have been developing…uncertainties about my hosts that don’t bode well for the hopes Ceneca-10050 has placed in them. I would share my thoughts with you, but not on a potentially tapped channel, we’ll speak of it face to face once I feel the location to do so is secure enough.”

“We’re looking forward to your arrival,” said Sally. “With Blaze representing the Sol Empire and Knuckles as representative of Angel Island I am certain we’ll make a good first impression on them.”

“I hope so, for the Galaxy’s sake,” The holographic image turned off.

“You are all welcome to spend the night in the palace,” said Blaze. “In the morning I will use the yellow sol emerald along with the Ember of Sekhmet to perform the Gemfire Ceremony and afterward secure it on the Sky Patrol. Feel free to take part in the Gemfire Festival until the afternoon. We all need to be formally dressed for the Seedrians arrival and then the Gemfire Ball.”

“How are the nobles handling it?” asked Silver.

“One I explained the situation while some see a great opportunity in being part of such a historic event most decided to cancel their attendance, I think they were afraid of making a mistake that would start an interstellar incident and so ruin their family’s reputation.”

Silver rolled his eyes. “Good to see they have their priorities in order.”

“After the ball is over, we’ll all head back to the Sky Patrol to escort the yacht to Freedom City,” said Sally. “Then the Council of Acorn will start hammering out the details of the negotiations.”

“In that case I’m getting some dinner,” said Sonic. "I hope the galley still has the stuff to make chili dogs.”

“The autopilot will take care of things until we arrive, dismissed.”

Tails noticed Cream still wasn’t moving. “Something wrong?”

“Huh? Oh, just worried. Not about the mission but about Mother, she collapsed while cooking breakfast this morning and we’re waiting for some tests from Doctor Quack. He says it’s probably just exhaustion, but I won’t feel better until we know for sure.”

“You didn’t have to come Cream; I could have just told Aunt Sally I wanted to sit this one out.”

“I could tell you really wanted to meet aliens; I do too really.”

“Well, the idea of their technology does excite me, but this wouldn’t be the first time for me either. You know the first alien I ever met was named Cream too.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, Car-Heem of Weeet. An armored giant who thought it was a good idea to take the Freedom Fighters, Robotnick and Snively and keep us all as pets on his flying saucer. Robotnick HATED that we had to work together to escape. But Car-Heem turned out to be a nice guy once we made him realize what he was doing was wrong, but it wasn’t that hard to do since Robotnick was the worst pet ever.”

Cream giggled. “You’re making that up to make me feel better.”

“It’s true! During the Great Harmony I found out Weeet was the planet all the cyan chaos emeralds came from!”

“Ok, I believe you! I’d like to think, no matter how different life is out there everyone just wants to be happy and if we all have that in common then no matter where we’re from nobody is so different that we can’t relate to each other.”

Tails took the doe rabbit’s hand. “Me too Cream, me too.”


“The Seedrians?” Taffy said. “Then I think it’s going to be alright.”

“What make you think that?” asked Ace.

“Back home every couple of months Dad takes a trip to visit their colony New Green Gate. He leaves for a week and then comes back. Sometimes Mom goes with him then Skye and me get to have a week long sleepover with Melody at her house!”

“Problem solved then,” said Rutan. “If all anyone is doing talking then we just have a couple of days to kick back and relax.”

“But that was all before we were pulled back by The Rectifiers!” said Gasket. “We might have messed it up just by being here or The Rectifiers might try to stop this treaty or whatever it is!”

“Don’t see why we have to get involved one way or the other,” said Dusk.

Tide came to the bat a ball of water forming in the racoon’s hand. “What do you mean WHY?! You heard what Aura said, hundreds of planets in trouble, lots of bad guys fighting in space, you know something THE GOOD GUYS would probably do something about!”

“Last I checked there weren’t a lot of people back home taking vacations to scenic Polaris so it must not have worked THAT well. Look I’m not saying this ‘collapse of galactic civilization’ isn’t a big deal, but I don’t see what we lose out of it other than Skye and Taff not getting some sleepovers.”

“Oh, you have plenty to lose out on here,” Jackie said as he came into the room.

“Why’s that?” asked Ajax.

“Don’t you all find it strange that the Freedom Fighters ALL decided to have kids all around the same time?”

Lara got a nod from Jani-Ca that went unseen by everyone else. “Now that you mention it, in all the other timelines I remembered our ages were pretty spread out.”

Sonia blushed. “You mean how in one my brother and me were the same age as you in one but in another you were twenty-one while we were five?”

“Not just that, for example Melody, I told you in those other ones you were Skye’s sister. Well, you were his BIG sister as in he was eight and you were sixteen. This is the only timeline where all of us that were in those other timelines are all kids at once.”

“I think you have the Seedrians to thank for that,” said Jackie. “Me, Rora and the others were about your age and didn’t really get it at the time, we just thought grown-ups were weird, but here’s what everyone found out since. Seedrians have this thing where they have to pollinate every ten years or so, now something kept them from doing it the last time they were supposed to so soon after Robotnick was zapped to another galaxy they had two cycles worth of pollen stored up and they released it all into the air in one, so much it took about two years for all of it to clear out.”

“I don’t get what pollen has to do with all of us being so close in age,” said Argyle.

“Well turns out Mobians over a certain age were VERY allergic to that pollen.”

Manik made a sour face. “You mean everyone was a red, itchy, swollen balloon?”

“Not that kind of allergy though they found a treatment so it wouldn’t be that bad next time. The brainiacs called the pollen an ‘atmospheric aphrodisiac” for Mobians. As far as us kids were concerned most grown-ups got weird in the same way, first there was a big ‘no clothes period’ fashion craze with the adults male or female, second soultouched couples acted lovey-dovey ALL the time, then they kept sneaking away with each other at seemingly random times day or night and finally, after a few months and over the next two years you little poop machines started coming along in droves. Ever hear of a baby boom? That Seedrian colony accidently dropped a baby nuke.”

Every single Future Freedom Fighter, even the ones not quite old enough to understand but realized there was SOMETHING off, had a hundred-yard stare.

“Jackie,” Aurora said coming into the room. “Are you ready for our double date with Alexis and…” She took a hard look at the kids and then gave an exasperated sigh at Enerjak. “You told them about the pollen, didn’t you?”

Lara was the first to break the silence. “I have our new mission Future Freedom Fighters, we’re going to sit here, quietly for the next couple of days doing mostly nothing. We try to stay out of the adults’ way then they can get this Seedrian thing done so in about ten years they’ll be able to meet a bunch of bouncing baby…us.”


Up on Space Colony Ark Viktor came to address the Neo Metal Series, Brutus, a squad of Neo Swats and the Super Special Sonic Search and Smash Squad in a hanger. “The mirrors needed to spread the effects of Project Blackout across the planet are nearly complete. With this mission to capture the sol emerald once it has been relocated to Freedom City then we'll have the power source needed to upgrade the Neo Metal Series to complete Project Overlord.”

“At long last,” said Metal Sonic. “I will prove myself the superior Sonic!”

“I’m glad you are eager, but we need to get the sol emerald first and that is where the rest of you come in. S6 you will infiltrate the Freedom City vaults while Bravo Team led by Commander Brutus creates a diversion.”

“You got it,” said Coconuts. “By the time it’s all over they’ll be like ‘hey where’d our emerald go?’ and we’ll be ‘it just got jacked by us suckers’!”

“Exactly, only you don’t say anything to them ever or better yet try your best to make them forget you ever existed. Bravo Team, you will be equipped with a new weapon whose plans were provided by our alien allies and created in our genetics lab. You only get sixteen shots with these so make them count and then retreat, the weapons will take care of the rest.”

“What kind of weapon?” asked Crabmeat.

Viktor turned to a case on a table next to him and opened it. “They’re called Injector Pods.” Inside were sixteen fist sized black tubers with sickly purple pustules on them that pulsated like beating hearts.

“If I had a stomach, I’d be puking right now,” said Scratch.

Viktor closed the case and handed a bazooka like weapon to Brutus. “I have redesigned these launchers to use the pods as ordinance. Your target is the Seedrian delegation, try to get every member with at least one of these pods, then they’ll provide all the diversion we’ll need.”

Brutus raised the bazooka to his chest. “I am already calculating multiple strategies and firing trajectories, the objective will be met.”

“Make sure of it,” said a shadowy figure from a screen that lowered near Viktor. “While it will be a shame those targets will no longer be fit for harvest the capture of Earthia’s Promise will be worth it. Robotnick, do you have a means to prevent its escape once word of the fate of their Sovereign reaches them?”

“I’m glad you asked, it gives me a chance to introduce another element to my own plan, the primary defense of this space colony while Project Blackout is under way.” Robotnick turned to Neo Metal. “No need to get jealous, it won’t be a full A.I.”

A platform lowered exposing a new kind of Metal Sonic, one with pincer hands and an oversized quill raising up and back over its head.

“Introducing Mecha Sonic model twenty-nine, optimized for deep space combat. Code name: Rocket Metal.”

“Orders received and on standby,” said Rocket Metal. “Preparing for takeoff.”

Rocket Metal’s body shifted until it transformed into a space fighter, the extra-large quill now forming the nose of the craft. The fighter/robot then zoomed out of the hanger and into space.

“Wow!” said Grounder. “You’d make a fortune selling toys of that guy!”

Viktor’s eyes turned red and black as he glared at Grounder. “Who do I look like, that human folklore figure Santa Claus?! I do not waste my genius on children’s playthings!”

“It matters not to us,” said the alien. “Just disable the vessel and capture the Seedrians inside. You will then hold the prisoners until we arrive and collect them for harvesting.”

“Don’t forget the rest of our deal!” said Viktor. “I give you the secret to creating a top-down artificial intelligence and in exchange you give me the technology to turn the Robotnick Ascendency into an interstellar empire!”

The figure shifted exposing him as a black armored figure with a crested helmet that had a single green eye. “Yes, so long as you do not threaten our interests you may have your empire.”

Viktor smirked with red and black eyes. “Pleasure doing business with you, Dark Oak.”


The next day a little after noon at the Sol Empire the Freedom Fighters had gathered on a landing platform near Blaze’s Palace.

“Just wish they would get here already,” said Sonic as he tugged at his uniform’s collar. “Dress uniforms and tropical climates do not mix.”

“Wait, up there!” Nicole said while pointing.

A space craft about the size of the Sky Patrol broke through the clouds. It was elegantly shaped, had a color like polished mahogany and wings that resembled the needles of a pine tree.

“Hold on a cotton-pickin’ minute,” said Bunnie. “I’m all for natural materials but looks to me like that ship was carved outta wood!”

“No, not carved,” Rotor said in amazement. “Grown, that’s a bonafide organic starship!”

“If they could engineer a plant to act as a spacecraft,” Tails said in awe. “Then their skill with genetics has to match or be even better than the Xorda!”

“No wonder the Bem think their technology would put Mobius on the galactic map,” said Julie-Su. “Imagine applying that knowledge to agriculture or medicine, this could help a lot of people!”

“Yet another reason for us not to screw this up,” said Sally. “Jaws off the ground people, don’t be dumbstruck but stay respectful and cheerful. Hopefully we won’t just get new technology out of this but new friends too.”

The ship landed and a door opened as a ramp came down like vines were growing from the doorway. Once the ramp reached the ground a four-armed reptilian alien in white robes descended.

“Hey Ceneca,” said Sonic. “Welcome to Mobius, how do you like your first actual visit so far?”

“When I first created the De-roboticizer I ended up destroying an entire species by mistake. After trying to make amends for that crime by helping your world? I feel honored to breathe your air. I hope in time this planet will truly be able to walk hand in hand with the rest of the galaxy.”

Just then a creature about the size of a human stepped out of the craft. It had a broad noseless face, a stocky tail, hair that resembled golden autumn leaves and a pair of branch-like horns though the horn on his right side seemed shorter, sawed off even. He stood on a pair of feet with only three toes, two in the front and one in the back, and wore only a loose shirt buttoned in the middle with an orange gem like object that seemed to sink into his chest.

The alien pulled a horn like object from the ship and spoke into it. “Presenting her Royal Highness, Sovereign and protector of the Seedrian race, rightful ruler of the planet Green Gate and heiress to the Living Throne, Galaxina the Second and her royal consort Lord Marcus.”

The Seedrian moved back inside and music consisting mostly of strings and wood wind instruments began playing from the ship. Another creature came out, this one observably shorter than the last but still taller than an average mobian. She was dressed in a blue coat with a white flower like skirt, though it was hard to tell if she wore the skirt or it was growing out of her, with a green gem like broach and around her head a simple golden circlet with a gem shaped like a flower at her forehead. Like the other alien she had no apparent nose or ears and cerulean leaf like hair out the top of which a white flower bloomed. Unlike the other she seemed to wear a simple pair of shoes.

Galaxnia reached out her hand and another Thorndrigan, this one with teal leaves and thick branch horns wearing a blue gem in his garments took it. In his other hand he carried a spear like weapon with a flat blade shaped like a leaf at the tip. The two walked down followed by three more Petali, one with pink leaves and a pair of white flowers, another with orange leaves and a single yellow flower and one with greens leaves and a pair of rose like buds who seemed to be fidgeting with her red gem like brooch. Finally, the Thorndrigan that first exited the ship came down with two more both whose branch horns started at the top of their heads and went down the back of their necks, one had dark purple leaves and the other a mossy green, all three carried the same sort of spear like weapon Lord Marcus did. Once the party reached the bottom of the ramp Galaxina performed a curtsy.

“On behalf of my people, I thank you for allowing us to visit your planet,” the Sovereign said without apparent inflection.

“Thank you,” said Sally with a curtsy. “For coming so far across the galaxy to visit us. I am Princess Sally Acorn, chosen by the Council of the Republic of Acorn to represent our nation here tonight.”

Blaze did a curtsy of her own. “I am Princess Blaze, ruler of this Sol Empire who are honored that you have deigned to attend our humble Gemfire Ball.”

Knuckles came forward and made a bow. “Knuckles the Echidna of House Edmund, chosen representative of Angel Island and guardian of the sacred Master Emerald. Rest assured no harm shall come to you here.”

“Allow me to introduce my court,” said Galaxina. “My consort Lord Marcus,” The Thorndrigan gave a stoic bow. “My honor guard, Aspen, Birch and Alister.”  The dark purple, moss green and yellow Throndrigan with a broken horn bowed in turn. “My ladies in waiting, Azalea and Marigold.”  The pink and orange leafed Petali took a turn to curtsy. “And last but far from least my younger sister, Princess Cosmo.”

The rose budded Petali tried to make a curtsy only to slip and begin to tumble to the tarmac. “Oh!”

“We got her!”

Tails and Cream managed catch Cosmo and helped her back up to her feet.

“Thank you,” said Cosmo.

The other Freedom Fighters began to sweat nervously. “I’m terribly sorry!” said Sally. “We didn’t know if touching your sister was proper Seedrian etiquette! She was in trouble and Tails and Cream were just quick to help!”

Galaxina looked at Sally stoically. “My sister was not harmed so your friends’ behavior was…satisfactory. Shall we make our way to this ‘ball’ of yours?”

Everyone gave a sigh of relief. “Of course, your highness, if you would please follow us.”

As they began making their up Galaxina turned to Cosmo. “Dosa Cosmo, ruppa gen ban wantee.”

Cosmo nodded back. “Ruka naka.”

“Sonic did you get any of that?” Sally whispered. “You’re the one with an alien translation implant.”

“I think so,” he whispered back. “The Sovereign said, ‘Cosmo dear, see me later tonight’ and the princess answered, ‘Yes sister’. Almost felt like she was more concerned about what Cosmo did than us.”

“Maybe they’re just as nervous as we are, hopefully that’s a good sign.”

Lord Marcus turned to both Antione and Silver. “You are both armed?”

Silver looked nervous as he gazed to the sword at his side. “It’s a thing since I’ve been knighted by Blaze, I haven’t really practiced with it, it’s more for show at formal events.”

Antione flashed his own sword, instead of his usual saber he carried a longsword that was tinted blue with a red jewel in the pommel. “While I am trained as ze swordsman I bring my weapon merely as decoration too. But zis moment is so important I decided to bring zhe family sword, Alondite, the mark of knighthood for generations of D’coolettes.”

Marcus nodded then gestured to his spear. “This thornblade has been in my family for four thousand years. It was last wielded in battle by my father, Rowan the Red. Despite more advanced weaponry available he carried it into fourteen defensive engagements and brought it with him when the Sovereignty helped to depose the dictator Cruelos during the Rulon Rebellion.”

Antione smiled. “Such history, you must be extremely proud of your father and his blade.”

Marcus turned his eyes forward. “Not particularly, I was just making ‘small talk’ as your species call it.”

Antione and Silver shared an uncomfortable look.

“That ship of yours is very impressive,” Sally said to Galaxina. “We must seem so primitive to you.”

“My people always had a talent with our fellow plants,” the Sovereign said like she was discussing the weather. “There is more we have developed, cellular rejuvenation treatments that can double one’s natural lifespan and prolong youth or our memory seeds, organic constructs that can store one’s memories and preserve them to be experienced again or project them to show others. We are willing to offer both our organic and synthetic developments in order to establish a settlement on your world, I anticipate that will be a satisfactory compensation for our intrusion?”

“It’s way past cool,” said Sonic. “And we don’t mind new neighbors, I’m sure you and your people will really ‘grow’ on us.”

Galaxina looked confused. “Pardon me?”

“Grow on us, because you’re plants.”

Sally laughed nervously. “My husband was just making a joke!” She then gave Sonic a very annoyed look while gritting her teeth while talking to Sonic under her breath menacingly. “But he forgot that humor is subjective across cultures and what might be a real knee slapper in one could be a grave insult in another!”.

Sonic wasn’t sure who to be more afraid of in the moment. “Uh, I didn’t mean anything stereotypical about it!”

Galaxina still looked confused. “I do not take offense, I…simply don’t understand what reaction you were hoping for with that statement.”

Sally’s relief was thoroughly mixed with confusion. “Do…Seedrians not have a concept of humor?”

Galaxina turned her attention back to the castle. “More likely we know it by another name and ours is very different from yours.”

Sally if anything just got more confused.


The sun had set, and everyone had gathered in the ballroom of Blaze’s Palace. Gardon approached the middle of the room. “Traditionally, the first dance of the evening belongs solely to the monarch and a partner of her choosing, but since we are playing host to some very special guests the first dance of this Gemfire Ball belongs to not only Princess Blaze and Sir Silver but Sovereign Galaxina the Second and Lord Marcus as well.”

Gardon turned to the band, and they began playing a waltz. The two couples came to the center of the floor and began dancing.

“You’re light on your feet,” Blaze said to Silver.

Silver blushed. “Levitation helps, but all that practicing last month has really paid off.”

“Honestly this is the first time I’ve been looking forward to the ball since my first one. I was barely more than a kid, bought the hype and ended up getting bored out of my skull. I guess this is one of those things where the right partner makes all the difference.”

“I imagine the Sovereign and her husband are enjoying this if only because they’re dancing together.”

They subtly looked over and saw both Seedrians looking at each other with the same neutral expression they had since they landed.

“Troubled marriage?” Silver asked despondently.

“No, there’s something off with these aliens. Hopefully it's a cultural or biology thing and we’re just being paranoid.”

“The dance floor is now open to all attendants!” said Gardon holding up a silver bell. “You may change partners each time this bell is rung.”                                                                            

The remaining guests moved to the floor to join in the waltz. Sally sighed as she and Sonic moved to the beat. “At least for a little bit all I have to do is enjoy myself with you and not worry about making the Seedrians happy.”

“Nothing makes them happy,” said Sonic. “But nothing makes them unhappy either, I don’t even know if we’re doing a good or bad job. Feels like I’m in a race getting others to eat my dust and tripping and falling about the same amount, but I have no idea if I’m winning or losing because nobody bothered to tell the racers where the finish line is.”

“You’re right, we know robots who are less robotic than these people. At least a robot tells you flat out what it wants and does, but them? I got more feedback from Mother’s houseplants.” Sally sighed again. “But they aren’t bad just different, I bet we’re just as confusing to them.”

“Different is right but not from us, from what Cencea told us about them. Remember passionate, ruthless about things being peaceful and distrusting of animals?”

“And instead, they seem to be dispassionate, neutral to even the biggest disturbance and enigmatic. Almost the total opposite of what she said. Why would she lie to us?”

“Remember she said she had misgivings she couldn’t say out loud? Maybe this is part of that.”

“We REALLY need to talk to Ceneca away from the Seedrians and get to the bottom of this before the actual negotiations start.”

Gardon rung the bell and Tails handed Cream to a Zebra with a monocle and cane before turning and seeing his new dance partner was Cosmo. “Oh, hello again.”

“Thank you for helping me up earlier,” Cosmo said with a blush. “I don’t get a lot of chances to practice courtly decorum.”

“I never got a chance to introduce myself, my name is Miles Prower but everyone calls me Tails. The Rabbit who helped you who’s dancing with the stripped fellow is Cream.”

“Tails and Cream, such interesting names.”

“If you don’t mind me saying you seem to be a real expressive for…”

“A Seedrian? My sister and the rest of my people don’t have a lot to express these days. Honestly, I only asked to be part of delegation for a chance to get away from most of them for a little bit.”

“You know I have a lot of questions about…”

Suddenly a cry from Cream caught both Tails and Cosmo’s attention.

“Watch what you’re doing you uncouth oaf!”

Cream had a stain on her yellow dress as the monocled zebra glared at Ray who had an empty glass in his hand.

“I’m sorry for spitting the champagne,” said the flying squirrel. “I’m not used drinking stuff like this, I reacted without thinking.”

“It’s ok Ray,” said Cream. “It’s just a dress, I’m sure it’ll clean up.”

“It is NOT ok!” said the Zebra. “You made me look like a fool for HER stepping front of YOUR bad behavior to protect ME when it should have been the other way around!”

“You don’t need anybody else to make you look like a fool Count Fauntleroy!” Marine said as she came up in a seafoam green dress. “Cream’s only mistake was not letting you take it in the face!” She turned to Ray. “You alright luv?”

“Yeah, fine,” said Ray.

“He’s here as your plus one?!” said Fauntleroy. “I should have known! Friends with the princess for years and you haven’t matured one bit, despite what your outward appearance says!”

Marine put her hands on her hips. “I might have a bit of a more grown-up body, but you are the same pompous jackass you always were you knob!”

 “You ill-mannered brat!”

“What? Don’t like folks gettin’ a reminder of your REAL family tree?”

The zebra’s white stripes were turning red. “You wouldn’t dare!”

Marine then had a wicked grin. “Zebras aren’t stripped horses, they’re stripped DONKEYS!”

This elicited gasps from the other nobles.

“It’s true. Look at his tail. Horse tails are almost all hair from the rump to the tip, donkey tails are skin, bone and muscle except for the little paintbrush at the tip.”

“Hey, he does have a paint brush tail,” Cosmo observed.

The count quickly moved his tail behind his jacket. “I don’t know WHAT the princess ever saw in you, you little tra…” Fauntleroy stopped and put his monocle back on. “No, no. You are above this Javier; you will not ruin this for our visitors.”

Marine however had steam coming from her ears. “Oh no! You ain’t gettin’ outta this that easy! I know what you were going to say, so just go ahead and call me a TRASH PANDA!”

More gasps from the nobles, one woman even fainted.

Fauntleroy strongly tapped his cane on the floor. “You would want that wouldn’t you? You want me to make such a vile insult in front of the Princess and have me lose my position even after handling things in her frequent absences the past few months. Well, I am much smarter than you give me credit for, I will not let you provoke me.”

“I couldn’t care less about your position you dongo, I just wanted a reason good enough to kick yer arse so hard you’ll kiss the moon!”

“Ruffian! Brute!”

“Marine! Count Fauntleroy!” Shouted Blaze. “You are both making a scene in front of our guests!”

Marine sighed. “I’m sorry princess,” she then gave a hard glare at Fauntleroy. “Come on Ray, I’ve had enough of this ball. Let’s get some fresh air, it’s too STUFFY in here.”

Ray looked at the Zebra with contempt. “You’re right, IS stuffy.”

Blaze turned to the Count. “Count Fauntleroy, I think it’s time you went home.”

The count had a surprised look only to regain his composure. “As you wish your highness.”

“Ray, Marine wait!” Cream said following the two outside, Tails and Cosmo followed her.

On the balcony Ray and Marine were looking at the stars. “You were right Marine, even if you weren’t and he was a stripped horse that guy would STILL be an ass.”

Marine sighed. “The Count ain’t all bad, he’s very loyal to Blaze and good at his job. Too bad there’s really nothin’ else under that stuffed shirt. Sorry the rest of you had to see that.”

“It was just bad luck I got partnered with him,” said Cream. “I’m just sorry you had to leave.”

“Eh, I never really cared much for the ball, only went cause Blaze asked. I much prefer the games and sweets at the Gemfire Festival.”

“I admit I did have more fun there than at the ball,” said Ray.

“Me too,” said Cream. “Not that I didn’t enjoy the ball.”

“I guess the four of us are still just a bunch of big kids,” said Tails. “If it weren’t for the delegation and I could only choose one I’d pick the festival over the ball.”

“What do you mean by the four of you still being kids?” asked Cosmo.

“Long story,” said Tails. “But the gist of it is we’re all younger than we look, our bodies were aged up a few months ago. It hasn’t always been an easy adjustment.”

“I can relate, not about the aging part, but if the Mother Tree were to listen to my wish, I would turn back everyone’s clock to when they were a fun-loving child and then freeze them in place, so we’d all just be carefree children forever.”

“Mother Tree?” asked Cream.

“Our goddess, Seedrians believe our people first came from her seeds. My sister and everyone else still say prayers to her but…it just doesn’t sound like their hearts are in it like they used to be.”

Tails came up to the balcony next to Cosmo. “If you don’t mind me asking, why do you seem so different from the rest of the Seedrians?”

Cosmo pouted. “Because they are all a bunch of stuffy adults. The only supposed difference between me and them is that I haven’t fully bloomed yet.”

“Oh, you mean your flowers?” asked Cream.

“Yes, a Seedrian is considered an adult when a Thorndrigan’s branches reach their full length or a Petali’s flower or flowers open all the way.” Cosmo looked down despondently. “They keep saying I’ll bloom any day now.”

“Let me get this straight,” said Ray. “Seedrians have emotions like ours but lose them once they grow up?”

Cosmo sighed. “Now, but it didn’t used to be that way. A whole lot of things changed when I was little, but I barely remember any of it.”

“What kind of changes?” asked Tails.

Cosmo closed her eyes. “I…I can’t tell you. There are things my sister insist I not speak of to the Mobians, not until after the negotiations are over.”

“Don’t worry,” said Cream. “The last thing we want is to get you in trouble.”

“Yeah,” said Marine. “I just caused enough trouble for all of us right now.” Fireworks began lighting up the sky. “And that’s the end of the ball and the festival.”

“It was nice talking to you all,” said Cosmo. “Perhaps we can get together while my sister is in negotiations tomorrow?”

“Sure!” said Tails. “I can give you a tour of Freedom City!”

“I have to see if my mother is doing ok,” said Cream. “But I’ll try and join you later.”

“Sorry,” said Marine. “But there are a couple of little imps over Freedom City Ray and I should probably check in on. Fun little imps, but still need to keep two pairs of eyeballs on ‘em.”

“Thank you,” Cosmo said with a smile. “I better return to the yacht; my sister will want to talk.”

As Cosmo walked away Cream smiled at Tails. “Well even if things don’t come together with these negotiations, I’m glad we made at least one new friend because of it.


As the Sky Patrol 2 and the Seedrian royal yacht flew towards Freedom City the Freedom Fighters met in the conference room again with Ceneca.

“At the very least I don’t think we offended the Seedrians,” said Blaze. “Despite that incident with Count Fauntleroy.”

“Still, something is very strange about all this,” said Sonic. “Ceneca, you said they were a passionate easily offended people but they acted the almost exact opposite.”

“I was asked by the Sovereign to give you your briefing based on the materials my sister Ceneca-10050 gave me for my mission, materials that as you now know turned out to be nearly useless. While I was on board, I was allowed almost total free reign of the ship, but they never encouraged me to look around either and my access to their computer system was restricted. As I wandered conversations between them would suddenly fall silent, like they didn’t want to risk me hearing something I shouldn’t. I at first attributed the discrepancy on cultural shifts among the Seedrians but now I am certain they are hiding something.”

“Why not voice your concerns with your people?” asked Nicole.

“At first it was because I was afraid of failure, this is my one chance for absolution for the ‘crime’ of de-roboticizing the Robians instead of roboticizing the rest of the Mobians as my sisters originally judged. I now think my concerns are worth the risk of permanent exile I’d have to bear for failure, but then I began to worry that any communication I sent back to my sisters would be intercepted by the Seedrians. I needed someone I could trust, and you have proven yourself worthy of that trust Sonic as have those you put your trust in.”

“You don’t have to worry about it Ceneca,” said Knuckles. “If the Seedrians are really a threat then it wouldn’t be the first time we made alien invaders regret trying to take our planet.”

“But the Seedrians aren’t bad!” said Cream. “At least not Cosmo, she was very friendly to us.”

“The princess is actually closer to Mobians in personality,” said Tails. “It seems like for some reason they now no longer have emotions once they reach physical maturity.”

Ceneca turned to Tails. “I haven’t actually had much contact with the princess, how old is she again?”

“About the same age I am, well the same age I physically am. If Seedrians age at the same rate as Mobians Cosmo’s about fifteen maybe fourteen.”

Ceneca closed her eyes in thought. “So, she would have been born around the same time Seedrian Space went silent.”

“What did y’all mean of about their space being silent?” asked Bunnie.

“About fifteen years ago all communication from the Seedrian Sovereignty ceased, if they just took an isolationist stance, they would have sent messages warning others against entry but there wasn’t any of that or even the most basic outgoing information that would have been given to their own vessels. No navigational aide, no advisory for space weather or other warnings, nothing but static.”

“Spooky,” said Rotor.

“It gets worse, I did some digging of my own on private channels and found a year later Hobidon Prime also went silent and Cascadia only a few months after that. Whatever is causing this bubble of silent space, it’s slowly expanding. The only other thing I learned was that every probe and ship that went in to investigate this silent space vanished never to be heard from again.”

“Tres spooky,” shivered Antione.

“Finally, there are my own observations. Earthia’s Promise seems to need near constant maintenance, the signs of a ship that has been in service much longer than its intended lifetime. Colony ships are generally used once and then stripped down to form the infrastructure of the colonist’s settlement. It seems quite likely this ship might have been traveling ever since this unknown incident fifteen years ago.”

“So, whatever happened was bad enough that they had to evacuate the leadership and had been moving ever since,” Sally mused. “Could Galaxina have known all along?”

“Perhaps not the whole time, Seedrians only reproduce in ten-year cycles and the Sovereign has yet to produce an heir, most likely back then she would have only been a child. If I were to guess she inherited the position either at the same time or not long after this silence.”

“It almost sounds like the Seedrians are refugees,” said Cream.

“If that is the case then the hopes of my people to stabilize the galaxy are for naught. The people of Mobius’ tenacity and drive was supposed to work with the Seedrians’ wisdom and stability, without them you will fail, without you they will fail. But if their civilization is in that bad a state then it could take decades for them to recover and then neither of you would be ready in time to stave off the collapse.”

Sonic bolted up from his seat. “We can’t give up until we know for sure! Tails you and Cream seem to have gotten close to Cosmo.”

Tails nodded. “I was supposed to show her around Freedom City during the negotiations.”

“Then go ahead and do that,” said Sally. “While you do keep asking questions, make her feel comfortable around you, get her to open up, any clue could be important.”

“But she could get into trouble with her sister,” said Cream. “She was already told not to tell us too much.”

“Be as respectful as possible but remember, there might be a lot more at stake than the Cosmo displeasing her sister. In the meantime, we should rest up, tomorrow could be a busy day for us.”

As Tails left the conference room, he looked out a porthole, the royal yacht was only slightly behind them outside.

“Cosmo…”


Cosmo kept a straight face as she the door closed behind her. “You wanted to see me sister?” she said in Seedrian.

“Today was quite the experience for you,” Galaxina said as she laid her circlet down on a vanity. “I hope you found it enjoyable.”

“It was…satisfactory,” Cosmo said in the flattest voice she could muster.

“Good, I was concerned that sudden stumble and that disturbance between the two Mobians might have been an…emotional experience for you.”

Cosmo touched the gem on her chest. “I do not see how sister; I had been wearing my suppressor all day.”

Galaxina turned to face Cosmo directly. “A suppressor… you deactivated.”

Cosmo stood perfectly still and silent.

“You thought I wouldn’t notice? How long did you think you could have kept this going Cosmo?”

Cosmo then groaned in exasperation; the jig was up. “Long enough that you would finally tell me WHY we actually need these suppressors without being forced to use it first!”

“Cosmo we’ve discussed this, multiple times. You are almost an adult; you need to wear your suppressor and you must start before you bloom.”

“We never discussed ANYTHING! You just kept telling me ‘Wear your suppressor’ since my last birthday but never once said why I must give up my emotions!”

“I told you, before you can understand…”

“I need to wear the suppressor, I know! But seeing Azalea, Marigold, Alister and everyone like this, so cold and detached from everything, you want me to take that on faith?!”

“You have faith in the Mother Tree, as do we all.”

“How can any of you have faith in our goddess when you can’t feel love for her! Love is said so much in the Mother Tree’s Song, giving that up seems like sacrilege!”

Galaxina’s gaze remained cool. “Feeling love and loving another are two sperate things, I might not feel love, but I choose to love the Mother Tree, I choose to love Marcus and I choose to love you. The Mother Tree is understanding, she never allows us to carry a burden we cannot bear, and this is a burden we all must bear.”

 “I might not know why you’re forcing this on everyone, but I have a strong guess. It wasn’t the Mother Tree who gave us this burden, it was the Metarex wasn’t it?! Everything always comes back to the Metarex!”

Galaxina closed her eyes, she seemed to be deep in thought. “The Metarex have taken so much away from us, our home, our families, our very way of life; but there is still so much you do not understand about them.”

“I understand you’re making a mistake in not telling the Mobians about the Metarex! They aren’t going to stay in Seedrian Space forever, sooner or later they’ll come for the rest of the galaxy!”

“You were too young to remember when we came to Cascadia after Hobidon Prime fell to the Metarex. The Cascadians feared if they took us in the Metarex would come after them next, so our people were ostracized, cast out, all in vain, the Metarex came anyway. Our people need a new home, this far away we can establish and ingratiate ourselves with the people of Mobius before they have a need to learn of the Metarex. Once we have planted our roots, I will tell Mobius of the Metarex and while there may be resentment we’ll be too well dug in, they’ll have to work with us to defend our common home.”

Cosmo felt her pent-up anger boil to the surface. “You know for someone who doesn’t feel anything anymore you’re sure afraid that they’ll find out and blame us just like everyone else who learned about the Metarex the hard way!”

Galaxina’s expression was unchanged. “Leave negotiations to me. The first round begins tomorrow, you will wear your suppressor after activating it by the time I set foot off this ship.”

“But why can’t I know before…?!”

“I asked you as your sister, I am telling you in place of our mother, do not make me order you as your Sovereign.”

Cosmo racked her brain for something, anything. “Tails, Tails offered me a tour of the city while you were at negotiations. If I don’t show up or activate my suppressor beforehand the Mobians might get suspicious.”

Galaxina was still expressionless. “Very well, you may look around with Tails but when the day is over you will return to the yacht where I will watch you activate your suppressor and put it on, my decision is final.”

Cosmo sighed. “May I go now?”

Galaxina turned back to her vanity. “As you wish.”

Cosmo nearly ran into Marcus as she left while he entered the cabin.

“Cosmo is still being difficult I see.”

Galaxina examined her face in the mirror. “I only want to spare her the pain you and I had to endure. Even Alister came to understand, why not my own sister?”

“I had to promise Alister that he could remove the suppressor if he didn’t find the reason compelling. Perhaps extending a similar token of trust will make a bitter pill easier to swallow.”

“If so much wasn’t at stake right now I would take your advice, but the truth is we are running out of time. Even the little time I have allowed her might not be enough.”

“I’ll have Alister keep an eye on her while the rest of us accompany you to the negotiations. “If the worst should happen, we can intervene in time.”

“I don’t want to be this way; I don’t want any of us to be this way, but the alternative is the end of everything our people ever were. I love you Marcus, that is my choice, but I wish it could also be a feeling again.”

Marcus moved Galaxina’s face to look into his eyes. “We still have a little time until we reach this Freedom City. Though we cannot be emotionally intimate, if you wish, we can be physically intimate. It might allow you to focus on something other than your sister and these talks for a little while at least.”

Galaxina took Marcus’ hand. “That would be…satisfactory.”


Cosmo watched as a hologram projected itself above a seed like object in her hand. She watched as a multitude of Seedrian children laughed and ran in a massive garden inside the giant hollow cylinder that was Earthia’s Promise. She paused it as she saw herself as a two-year-old while a twelve-year-old Galaxina came and picked her up with a laugh. She stopped the projection then took off the gem she wore and turned it around to its flat side and the circuits that at the end of tomorrow would bury her feelings forever.

“One last day, all I ended up getting was one last day,” she looked to back to the seed that she kept off. “I better make it count.”


The following morning the Seedrian delegation came up to the entrance of the Council Rotunda escorted by the Freedom Fighters. “The Council of Acorn awaits within,” Sally told Galaxina. “This meeting will also be teleconferenced with the leadership of most Mobian, Overlander and Human nations.”

“Thank you for your hospitality,” the Sovereign said flatly. “I am confident that your world’s leadership shall accept our technology, provided they allow us to settle in a location suitable to our needs.” She then turned to Cosmo. “Remember what I said last night.”

“Yes sister,” Cosmo said with a sigh.

Tails approached the Princess. “Anything wrong Cosmo?”

Cosmo then began scratching her arm. “Just been a little itchy since I woke up, probably nothing though.”

“So, anything you want to see first?”

“Do you know somewhere I could have something small to eat? My people don’t have food as much as you, half our nutrition comes from photosynthesis.”

Tails beamed. “I got just the place, my aunt and uncle run the best ice cream parlor in the city!”

“Ok, let’s go.”

As they left the rest of the delegation entered the rotunda.

Sonic leaned against a pillar and turned to Sally. “Worried about that the Seedrians might be keeping something from us?”

“More worried about the talks falling through because it starts something between some of our allies,” answered Sally. “The Mobian Accords are a wonderful achievement but when it comes to policy it’s hard to get any of these governments to agree on anything, other than how big a threat Robotnick is.”

“And the Bem expect US to unite the galaxy, makes you realize that for as much as they seemed to be watching us, they never really got to KNOW us.”


Taffy and Pull were skipping down the street until they reached the townhouse where Cream, Vanilla and Johnny lived. Cream and Cheese then came out of the house both smiling to beat the band.

“Good morning, Taffy!” Cream said. “I got some WONDERFUL news! But now that I think about its probably old news to you at this point.”

“Tell me anyway, you really want to tell somebody!”

Cream took Taffy’s hands and looked at her with stars in her eyes. “The tests from Doctor Quack came in and Mother is ok, better than ok! I’M GOING TO BE A BIG SISTER!”

“Uncle Feels!” Taffy squealed before covering her mouth. “Oh no, did I ruin the surprise for you?!”

Cream gave Taffy a hug. “The delivery is months away, I’m sure you’ll be home by then and I can be surprised all over again.”

“I guess you want to tell the rest of the Freedom Fighters huh?”

“Most are busy with some important talks today, but I was going to catch up with Tails and Cosmo.”

“Cosmo?”

“She’s a princess we became friends with yesterday, Tails was going to show her around Freedom City.”

“So, she’s one of the Seedrians,” Taffy covered her mouth a second time. “I did it again!”

“It’s ok, that means the talks are going to go well.”

“Oh, that’s good. I think her and Dad are very good friends back home.”

“We keep in touch?”

“I think, he calls the Seedrian colony a lot and often takes weeklong trips there.”

Cream felt like someone splashed her with cold water. “Do you or your mother, go on these trips?”

“No, I never went. Mom goes but it’s not very often, spending a week at Mel’s house is sort of a rare treat for me and Skye.”

“Would Tails…” Cream thought to herself. “No, he couldn’t we’re soultouched…but so were Knuckle’s mom and dad and they ended up getting divorced. But the soultouch everyone has is stronger now, but we’re not robots who just do as our bodies tell us. So why would he keep seeing them alone? Is it because of her? Would she even still be on Mobius? Yes, she could if the Seedrians really do have nowhere else to go…”

“Uh, Mom? Are you ok?” asked Taffy.

Cream shook her head. “Oh uhhhh… I just remembered! I was supposed to give you some special Freedom Fighter Training today!”

“Really!” Taffy beamed. “What kind of training?!”

“Tails and I were going to teach you how to tail someone, follow them without being seen.”

“Like a spy?!”

“Exactly! Tails said at a day he wouldn’t know we’d try to follow him as he went about his business. So, we’re going to follow him and Cosmo as they go on their tour, and you write down everything they do and if we don’t get caught at the end of the day you give him your report so he can see how well you did.”

“Chao, Chao!” shouted Pull.

Taffy did a twirl. “Great where do we start?!”

“First put yourself in your subject’s shoes, you’re an alien princess who’s on Mobius for the first time and you can go anywhere in Freedom City you want. What would you want first?”

“Uh…something really, really yummy!”

Cream had confident smile. “Then I think I know where to start.”

“Then let’s go!”

As the bunnies and Chao went down the street Cheese flew near Cream’s ear. “Chao…”

“It is training Cheese,” Cream whispered. “And I’m just trying to put some silly little fears to rest, I’m probably wrong.”

Cheese however shook his head.


Cream and Taffy were talking to Derrick Fox at the counter of Ice Cream Paradise. “Yeah, I saw my nephew with a little plant lady. They both really seemed to be enjoying our new Sonic Sundae.”

“And did you notice anything strange?” Cream asked.

“Not really, but it was packed, a lot of people came in because they wanted to see an on-location film shoot for that Studiopolis sitcom, Totally Bananas starring Comedy Chimp, across the street. They went there next, if you want to ask you better hurry, they’re wrapping things up now.”


“Try to be quick kid,” said a balding chimpanzee in a purple shirt as the film crew was packing up. “I got to a plane catch to Empire City so I can be on time for Federation Late Night.”

“You wouldn’t happen to have noticed a two tailed fox with an alien plant girl while you were filming today, would you?” asked Taffy.

The chimp took a swig from a water bottle. “If it were any other day I’d ask if you took a blow to the head. But yeah, they were here, while we were resetting a take the director wanted me to do some improv for the crowd. So, I got in front of them and said ‘so the other day a human asked me, does the chimp want a banana? And I told him Hey pal humans eat more bananas than chimps. I mean think about it when was the last time any of you saw a human eat a chimp?’”

Taffy broke out into laughter. “Because they don’t eat CHIMPS!”

“Hilarious,” Cream said frustrated.

“Well, the plant lady thought so, she was rolling on the ground laughing, last time I saw that was when my ex-wife saw how much alimony my lawyer wanted her to accept.”

Taffy broke out into another fit of laughter. “This guy is a comic genius!”

“That wasn’t a joke,” C.C. sighed.

“I’m sorry,” Cream said. “But do you have any idea where they went?”

“Once the plant stopped laughing, she asked the fox for some place with something fun to do and he suggested an arcade a couple of blocks from here. Kids today, I had to make do with a stick and a rock before they came up with Power Rings.”

Cream made a short bow. “Thank you, Mr. Chimp. Come on Taffy.”

“Don’t forget!” C.C. called after them. “Be sure to catch Totally Bananas, Thursday nights at eight!” The chimp then sighed again. “I am such a shill.”


“Like yeah there was a bit of a scene,” said one of the arcade operators, a female rabbit wearing a big pair of green sunglasses on her forehead. “He took the plant girl to play ‘Stellar Knight’ and she like totally sucked at first but then she found her groove when she got suuuuper angry. Kept yelling things at the machine like ‘it’s all your fault’, “you ruined my life’, ‘why couldn’t you leave us alone?’, ‘get your own planet you monsters’. So, Tails like totally told her to chill ‘cause it was just a game, asked her if something was wrong but she laughed it off and said she just got caught in the moment and wanted to do something relaxing so he suggested they catch a movie.”

“That’s a great help!” said Cream. “How long ago was this?”

“Like an hour and a half…?”

“Then they should still be at the movies, we can catch up to them there.”

“And then really go super spy on them!” said Taffy. “This is the best training ever!”

“Again, you’ve been a big help,” Cream said to the operator as she and Taffy left.

The rabbit girl then turned her attention to her smartphone. “Oh, and tell the plant girl to moisturize, her scratching was driving me crazy.”


A blue furred otter with the name “Dave” on his nametag stood on the other side of the ticket counter. “Yeah, he wasn’t sure what movie they should watch but then the girl suddenly got interested in ‘A Farewell to My Sorrows’ and they got two tickets. Not a lot of publicity for it but it seems to be generating a lot of word of mouth among female audiences since yesterday.”

“And when did that show end?” asked Cream.

Dave checked his watch. “Should still be running now, theater eight.”

Cream reached into the pocket of her skirt and put money on the counter. “Two tickets, theater eight please.”

“Sorry,” sighed Dave. “There are only a few minutes left, I’m not supposed to let anybody else in once the movie’s more than half over.” He then took a disinterested look at the chao. “Not only that I can’t allow pets into the building.”

“Cheese, Pull can you two wait around the corner for a little bit?” Cream then put extra money on the counter. “I’ll buy two tickets for the next showing plus a big tip for you if you let us into theater eight right now!”

Dave looked at the money and sighed. “Well, I suppose if I get paid either way…” The otter then printed up two tickets and gave them to Cream. “Enjoy the show.”

“Trust me you’re going to love this movie!” said Taffy. “All my friends and I, well all my friends who are girls anyway, say it’s one of the best!”

“Maybe later,” said Cream. “We still have some Freedom Fighter training to do!”

Cream and Taffy snuck into the darkened room as a male lion and female cheetah were projected onto the screen. The sound of women sobbing masked their approach.

“Perfect,” whispered Taffy. “We’re at the best part!”

Cream waved Taffy off as she noticed Tails and Cosmo’s silhouettes “Shhhh! I found them!”

“I don’t care for the throne Caroline!” said the lion on the screen. “I only care for you! Let us leave your aunt and my father so that we might be together!”

Cosmo was sobbing uncontrollably while Tails had a confused look on his face.

“Oh Leon!” said Caroline. “I thought you were too proud, too stuck in tradition! But now after so long in the darkness the sun rises to a new day!”

“Tell him Caroline!” Cosmo whispered as she scratched her arms. “Tell him!”

“I don’t get it,” whispered Tails. “I can follow the plot, but I still don’t know what’s going on.”

“Leon, I love you!”

“And I love you, Caroline!”

As the two kissed both Taffy and Cream began to feel tears roll down their cheeks.

Taffy began wiping her tears away. “Every, single, time.”

Cream’s attention was split between the screen and Tails, but then firmly settled on Cosmo. “That should be me!” she thought to herself.

“The screen now shown the couple on the back of a galleon as it sailed out of port. “And so, we left for a new land and a new life on a new day,” Caroline narrated. “As I took one last look on the land of my birth I said farewell, to my doubts, to my anger and to all my sorrows.”

Big white letters spelling “The End” appeared on screen as every woman stood in tearful applause.

Moments later happily tearful women strolled out of the theater. Cosmo wiped her eyes and turned to Tails. “That was such a beautiful story!”

Tails scratched his head. “It was…something alright, but I’m not entirely sure what. But if you liked it then that’s good enough for me.” Tails looked at a clock on the wall. “The talks for today will be over in an hour or so, just enough time to do one more thing before we have to start heading back.”

Cosmo gasped. “Is there…anywhere nearby we can do something together? Doesn’t have to be big just, I’d like to end it with you and me doing something memorable.”

“Well… there’s a new carousel in New Spring Park. It’s not much but…”

“It’s perfect! Let’s go!”

Cosmo took Tails by the arm and began running to the park.

“This is so fun!” said Taffy as she and Cream kept their distance. “When do we let them know we tracked them down so well?”

“Just a little bit longer Taffy,” said Cream. “I think we almost have all we need.”


Cosmo laughed as the carousel horse went up and down, but she knew much sooner than she wanted the ride would be over. She kept thinking of what she saw the Mobians were, what her people were like, what they became and what she would soon become. The film earlier came back into her head, the passion and romance she would never know.

“Or could I?” she thought to herself.

Cream popped out of some nearby bushes and watched the carousel keep going round and round. “Just finish the ride and take her back. Please prove me wrong.”

Taffy popped out next to Cream with the two chao. “Cheese and Pull say you’re been acting strange, are you ok?”

Cream’s gaze never left the ride. “We’re about to find out.”

The carousel slowed down allowing the riders off as new ones got on. “Guess it’s time to head back,” said Tails. “Did you like our city?”

“It was wonderful,” said Cosmo. “But I was hoping to do one last thing.”

Tails sighed. “I don’t want to get you into trouble if we’re late for…”

“It’s nothing like that, it won’t take long at all.”

“OK then, what do you…!”

Tails suddenly found himself silenced as Cosmo rushed up to him and gave him a big kiss on the mouth. He was so surprised that before he could start protesting Cosmo pulled back, looking afraid.

“No, no it didn’t feel right! I, I should have known, we only just met and I…I’ve been so selfish today never thinking about you and your feelings.”

Tails' shock was drowned out by confusion. “What do you…?”

“MILES PROWER!”

Tails turned and saw Taffy, Pull, Cheese and Cream looking at him. The last had both tears and a very alien snarl on her face.

“Cream, we were wondering if…” his words died as he began to feel even more afraid than during the worst lightning storm he ever experienced as a child seeing his girlfriend stomp towards him. “Uh, Cream? Sweetie?” The only shield that now came to mind was something he heard Antione say to his wife. “Honey Bunny?”

“Don’t you ‘honey bunny’ me you canine Casanova! You, you philanderer fox! You, you, you two-tailed, two-faced, two-timer!”

“Oh, the kiss! Cream it’s NOT what it looks like!”

Taffy felt her head spinning at Cream’s sudden change in attitude. “W-what’s going on?”

Cream closer to Tails and began whispering menacingly as she started to cry. “I put everything Taffy told me together! I see where this is going, you weren’t doing this to be Cosmo’s friend, you weren’t getting info for the team as anything other than an excuse, you just wanted to get into her fronds!”

“Cream I have NO idea what you’re talking about, but this isn’t like you!”

“That happens when one of the best days in your life turns into the worst! My mother is going to have another baby, a son my father is going to be able to raise after he lost his chance with me! I was so happy and then I learned what happens to us! How could you be the sort of person who in twenty years will leave home for a week at time to play around with her, even get me to come and visit your floral floozy!”

Tails looked at the younger rabbit. “Taffy, what is Cream talking about!?”

“I caused this,” Cosmo cried. “I just wanted one last wonderful day to remember, to hold on to something of who I am. But it turned out all wrong! I didn’t mean to end your friendship! I never should have come to this planet!”

Cosmo started running off.

“Cosmo, wait!” Tails suddenly was restrained by Cream.

“Oh, I haven’t even started letting you have it!”

Taffy trembled. “Mom, you’re scaring me!”

“Taffy, find Cosmo!” Tails yelled. “I got to talk sense into Cream!”

Taffy gave a determined nod. “Right, Pull, Cheese let’s go!”

“Chao!”

“Chao!”

As the three left Tails looked straight into Cream’s eyes. “I think I have an idea of what’s happening to you, like I said yesterday you, me, Ray and Marine are still just kids in teenager’s bodies, but you got it the worst, a seven-year-old girl trying to deal with the hormones and emotions of a young woman eight years her elder. I know it doesn’t make you feel better but there it is.”

“But Taffy…!”

“What did she say!? That her dad visits aliens for a week on a regular basis!? Yes, an affair could be one reason, but I can think of at least a dozen more that have nothing to do with each other. Like a lot about the Seedrians we’re missing most of the context and can’t afford to jump to conclusions.

Tails took a deep breath. “But I get how you feel, I’ve been where you are right now. The first girl who showed an interest in me was Posey Possum, a member of Sonic’s fan club I saved once, but even if she was impressed with me nothing ever came from it. But then there was Fiona and Faye, Robotnik made his Auto-Fiona absolutely love me and given how at the time I was trying to set myself as my own hero I ate that attention up, but it was all a trap. Then I met the real Fiona, I still carried those feelings, but she didn’t reflect them and now we know it was for the best since we found out she is my cousin. But when she left us for Scourge, when she hit me, my face hurt nowhere near as bad my heart. Problem was I didn’t blame Fiona, I blamed Sonic, I sided with my parents in an attempted coup just because I blamed him for keeping Fiona from me, when he was just trying to keep me from what happened anyway. Then I rebuilt Faye to get exactly what I wanted from Fiona, but it didn’t make the hurt stop. I still felt resentment towards Fiona, and it was twisting me into someone I would have hated. I realized I had to let it all go, both the love and the hate and move on.

“Cream, I don’t want jealousy to twist you into something you’re not and you have to believe I would NEVER want to hurt you the way I was hurt, not just because I love you and I DO love you but because the pain I felt I would never wish on anyone.”

Cream was crying freely while she still held onto Tails. “I…I just don’t want to lose you.”

“You won’t, not from something like this. There’s a lot of Tails in a lot of other zones and timelines out there, and each one might get together with a totally different girl or none, but in this zone, this timeline right here and now the only girl for me is you, that is if you’re willing to put up with a lunkheaded mechanic who doesn’t know anything about girls.”

Cream then let of Tails and wiped the tears from her eyes. “The only lunkhead here is me. I’m so sorry, everything about me being a proper lady just went out the window just because I made some poor assumptions and got angry.”

“We’re still just kids after all, that’s why we agreed to take it slow.”

“Then for our next date maybe we should just have board game night with my parents.”

“Sounds great, if your dad will let me be the racecar this time.”

Cream turned to the rest of the park. “We got to find Cosmo; I have to apologize to her.”

“We have to find Taffy too, let her know this was all just a big misunderstanding.”


Cosmo sat on a park bench, once again she looked at the images of playing children from the strange seed she held.

“There you are!” Taffy said as she and the Chao approached. “Tails was so worried about…” Her eyes turned to the small plant. “What is that?”

Cosmo looked up and gave a sad smile. “This is a memory seed; my people use them to preserve our memoires to watch or live over again. I was going to store some very important memories today but after what I’ve done, I’m not sure I want to do that anymore.”

Taffy looked down dejectedly. “I…I think I might have had something to do with that, I ran my mouth and I think Cream misunderstood something I had no idea of or business talking about. My mom keeps saying I get a little too impulsive and learning to be a lady would help me. I like that lady stuff really, gardening, tea parties and wearing dresses but I also like rock music, playing soccer and being one of the girls. But I’m starting to think I complained so much about mom not letting me do as much of the other stuff as I liked I might have let her and granny think I don’t want to be a lady at all, and I feel bad about it.”

Cosmo looked at the little rabbit. “I feel bad too, but I think feeling bad must be much better than not being able to feel anything at all.”

“What do you mean?”

“Cosmo, Taffy, I’m sorry!” Cream said as she and Tails came over. “I was angry, and I drug you both into it, can you ever forgive me?”

Taffy hugged Cream. “Yeah, I don’t get why you went crazy, but I have a feeling it was kinda my fault too. Guess I need lady lessons as much as Freedom Fighters training.”

“I forgive you too,” said Cosmo. “Forgiveness, would be a good last thing to feel.”

“Last thing!?” said Tails. “But you haven’t bloomed yet, you still have more time to have emotions.”

Cosmo took off her brooch. “Once I return to the yacht, I must activate this, my suppressor. This will prevent me from feeling emotions. I must turn it on, put it on and keep it on, for the rest of my life.”

Tails shook his head. “Wait a minute, I thought you losing your emotions was a physiological thing, something your body did naturally but you say it’s all artificial?”

“Well then if you don’t want to do it then why just not do it?” asked Taffy.

“That is not an option, for any of us,” said a flat dispassionate voice.

Everyone turned to see a Thorndrigan with autumn yellow leaves and a broken right branch holding a thornblade with a blank expression.

Cosmo stood shaking. “Alister!? You’ve been following me!?”

“It is The Sovereign’s orders, the talks are nearly done for today, you must return to the ship.”

“She’s not going anywhere with you pal!” Tails yelled. “Not until we get some answers!”

“Yeah!” Cream shouted. “Who are you to say she doesn’t have any choice?! Other than one of her sister’s flunkies?!”

“Actually, he’s a lot more than that,” said Cosmo. “Alister is, or was, one of my best friends. We grew up together and were very close until he bloomed. Close enough that Galaxina made him…my fiancée.”

Tails looked at the two aghast. “Your sister choses who you get to marry whether you even want to or not?!”

“You do not understand our ways,” said Alister. “This doesn’t concern you step aside.”

“Cosmo is our friend!” yelled Cream. “So, we’re MAKING it our concern!”

“You clearly don’t love her!” said Tails. “Not anymore! How could you or The Sovereign or ANYONE force someone into a loveless relationship!”

Cosmo then began scratching at herself more furiously. Alister’s eyes widened ever so slightly.

“You are about to bloom; we cannot wait until you return to the ship. Activate your suppressor Cosmo, now.”

“Leave her alone you bully!” yelled Taffy. “If Cosmo doesn’t want to do what you people want than maybe she should stay with us, with the Freedom Fighters!”

“Chao!”

“Chao!”

Alister moved his thornblade to strike. “I cannot warn you again Cosmo, activate your suppressor or I must force it on you for your own sake and if any of you try to stop me, I will not hesitate to attack.”

“Sorry Cosmo,” Tails growled. “But it looks like we have to teach your old friend a very painful lesson!”

Tails and Alister charged, Alister readied his blade while Tails formed a Ring Bomb.

“STOP IT BOTH OF YOU!” Cosmo screamed.

Just as quickly as the fight began it stopped as Cosmo strode up to Alister crying.

“Too many of us were hurt or worse, and then after that one by one those who were left became so cold, they all just went through the motions day by day. We might have survived but none of us were LIVING anymore! The Alister I remember was a bright cheerful boy who loved getting into trouble, who could be a pest and a braggart but fair and surprisingly sweet too. But above all he was a brave protector, he saved me from a saber beast on Parthax Six when we were both eight and got his branch permanently damaged from it. The kids looked on him with pity, said he’d never be as much of a man as the other boys would grow up to be, but he wore that broken branch with pride, like a badge of honor.”

Cosmo then suddenly grabbed Alister’s suppressor and began to pull. “I want THAT Alister back! I want all my old friends back! I want my old sister back! GIVE THEM ALL BACK TO ME!”

Alister’s suppressor came loose, flew through the air and landed in a nearby fountain with a splash. Tails expected anger, perhaps realization before he begged for forgiveness but the Thorndrigan’s expression turned into one of absolute terror.

“C-cosmo, w-what? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!”


Sonic thought if she could get angry Galaxina would be raging right now.

“All we are asking for is a parcel of land or two to establish our colony. If even just one nation would be willing to cede just a little bit, we will be more than capable of taking care of ourselves thereafter.”

“I’m afraid it’s a bit more complicated than just handing out territory,” President Whitmore said from an overhead screen. “The current global situation makes finding the right place for any settlement you plan difficult.”

“You have to understand,” said Councilor Isabella. “There is one important factor we must keep in mind for this decision, the Robotnick Ascendancy.”

“Then why wasn’t this Ascendancy allowed to participate in these discussions?” asked Galaxina.

“Because no government recognizes the Ascendancy as anything other than a belligerent,” growled Councilor Mars.

“For over a decade we had been fighting the Ascendancy or one of it’s two predecessor states, the Robotnick Regime and the Eggman Empire,” said King Rob O’ Hedge. “And every one of them sees or saw all of Mobius as their own.”

“The only way Viktor Robotnick would permit a colony on his territory would be if it fell under his absolute authority,” said Councilor Rosemary. “Your people would have no freedom, likely driven off to make room for his war machines and robot laborers. If he had his way, and there a strong possibility he is attempting to regain this ability the Bem stripped from his predecessors, he would turn every one of your people he captures into a robotic slave.”

Galaxina saw a brief image of a figure in black armor. “That would be most unsatisfactory.”

“You see we make these denials for your sake as much as our own,” said Councilor Isabella. “Your colonists only number twenty-five hundred, too few to withstand an attack by Ascendancy forces without assistance. So, any territory you wish to claim must be far enough away from the front lines for you to establish not only your colony but defenses for it.”

Galaxina noticed a few oddly colored areas on the map they were debating over. “What of these places? it seems no one is claiming them other than the Ascendancy, perhaps one of these far from their territory.”

“I’m afraid those are totally unfit for your colony,” said Princess Elise. “Those regions are heavily polluted.”

“Some were caused by the carelessness of the overlanders,” said King Max. “But most were at the hands of either the Eggman Empire’s callous disregard in pursuit of conquest or the vast majority by the Robotnick Regime due to nothing more than Ivo Robotnick’s insane contempt for nature and any living thing that wasn’t himself. To many Mobians this was even worse than his abuse of Sir Charles invention, for most of us revere nature and had always strived to live in harmony with the environment. Taking our freedom was an attack on our hearts, this devastation was an attack on our souls.”

Galaxina looked at the toxic territory again. “Six months, give my people some of that toxic land and six months and we can restore it to a natural healthy environment capable of sustaining a colony.”

“Our best scientists had spent years trying to even contain the pollution to where it is,” said President Whitmore. “How can you undo that in six months?”

“We Seedrians revere nature too, it is the how the Mother Tree makes herself known, but we have learned how to shape nature, the forests are just another garden to us. Once we learn the makeup of those toxins, we can engineer plants that can absorb, convert or neutralize them permanently. The process should take at most six months.”

The council began talking to each other eagerly before Councilor Pythagoras spoke up. “If your engineered plants work even a fraction as well as you claim then you’d have the eternal gratitude of the Mobian race and with it your pick of almost any of that land so long as it isn’t near the Ascendancy.”

Sonic gave Sally a big grin. “If it turns out Ceneca was wrong then I think we just saved the galaxy.”

“On paper,” said Sally. “Now we just need to find the right place and keep Viktor from getting in the way.”

“My Sovereign!” Azaela said loudly but flatly. “We just received a signal from Alister’s suppressor, somehow it has been removed!”

Galaxina turned to the delegates. “I’m afraid we must table further discussions on the specifics until tomorrow, a most urgent matter concerning one of my people requires my immediate attention.”

“Very well,” said King Max. “We will reconvene to continue discussions at 9:00 AM local time tomorrow, until then this council is adjourned.”

“Azalea, you and Marigold prepare for treatment, tell Marcus, Aspen and Birch to prepare to fight should the worst happen. We must also locate my sister; she is in grave danger and time is of the essence!”

“At once My Sovereign.”

Sonic approached Galaxina. “If time is of the essence, then I have the speed you need!”


Alister ran over to the fountain thrashing around the water. “WHERE IS IT?! IT’S GOT TO BE HERE SOMEWHERE!”

“Alister,” Cosmo said crying. “I don’t understand, what’s…?!”

“COSMO! YOUR SUPPRESSOR NOW! ACTIVATE IT AND THEN GET AS FAR AWAY FROM ME AS YOU CAN!”

“But…!”

“NOW! BEFORE I…GRAAAAAAGGHHHHH!”

Alister collapsed to his knees as his body began to grow, shift and change, his hands and feet becoming more claw like, his teeth sharp, his mouth more elongated and his eyes becoming a single shade of red.

“Cosmo what’s happening to him?!” yelled Tails.

“I…I don’t know! I’ve never seen anything like it! Is… is this what the suppressors were really for?!”

“Tails!” Sonic yelled as he came into the park. “I need to find that Alister guy’s gem thingy and put it back on him!”

“It fell into the fountain!” yelled Cream. “He was trying to find it when…!”

“Say no more! Let’s do this with sonic speed!” After covering the fountain in the blink of an eye Sonic grabbed the orange gem and embedded it into Alister’s chest. “Ok, that’s done now what?!”

“We’ll take it from here,” Marigold said as she and Azaela entered the fountain, and she began using a computer like device on Alister whose transformation seemed to have paused.  “No signs of irreversible metamorphosis, but his vitals are unstable, we need to reduce his body temperature and put his mover glands back into hibernation.”

“Administrating 150 ccs of Palamzine,” said Azalea.

“Applying a cryopack,” added Merigold. “The cold water of this fountain should help as well.”

“Alister please be ok!” cried Cosmo. “I-I didn’t mean to…!”

“So, you were the one to remove his suppressor,” Galaxina said as she came out of a flying car along with Sally and Ceneca. “Sister this is beyond anything a Seedrian has done to another since my reign began.”

Cosmo began scratching herself again, Galaxina grabbed her by the arm and pulled the sleeve up. Cosmo’s skin was showing a lot of bark like growth.

“W-what is that?! What’s happening to me?! What happened to Alister?! Am, am I going to become a monster too?!”

“You are in the process of blooming, not only that you show you have the gift of the firstborn passed down the royal line. Oh Cosmo, I am so sorry, this would have been a great blessing we’re it not for the fate of our people.”

“I know this is a real big deal for you,” said Sonic. “But on behalf of the Freedom Fighters and Planet Mobius I have to ask WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON HERE?!”

Galaxina looked over to Sonic. “Alister was in the process of transforming into a Great Mover, the strongest but most desperate ability of the Thorndrigans. Activated by extreme survival emotions the Great Movers had unparalleled power and destructive capability, but it cut their lives down to mere moments, a last-ditch effort to protect their families and fellow Seedrians.”

“Is that what’s going to happen to me?” cried Cosmo. “Am I going to die?”

“No Cosmo, things had changed greatly to how they once were. The Petali could not transform except for those of a select bloodline said to be descended from the Mother Tree’s firstborn, the royal bloodline of Green Gate. Once every several generations a Petali is born to us with this gift, able to become a colossal tree, according to myth the very avatar of the Mother Tree herself. If she chooses to change, she will live for centuries nurturing the world and strengthening the land, it was even said that her mate would survive as a Great Mover for as long as she did, serving as protector to the physical manifestation of our goddess. Sadly, instead you, me and the other Petali are also condemned to be a different kind of Great Mover just like the Thorndrigans. The gift of the firstborn can never manifest in you, not after we lost Green Gate, not after…the Metarex.”

“I was right,” said Cosmo. “Somehow the Metarex were responsible for everyone losing their emotions.”

“Whatever this Metarex is,” said Cencea as she approached. “Am I correct in assuming it or they are responsible for Seedrian Space falling silent fifteen years ago?”

Galaxina nodded.

“And you said you lost Green Gate does that mean?”

“Earthia’s Promise holds the last Seedrians in the galaxy. We are now an endangered species; I am sovereign over a civilization of orphans.”

“But who or what are the Metarex?” asked Sally. “And how did they or it do all this?”

Marcus came up and nodded to Galaxina who turned back to her sister. “Cosmo, I am going to do perhaps what I should have done from the beginning, offer you a choice.” Galaxina took out another memory seed, this one with a gold-colored covering. “This is the Sovereign’s seed, it has some of my memories and more importantly, those of our mother. I had wanted you to have already used the suppressor before I gave this to you, I intended it since your last birthday. But now you have a choice, you can use the suppressor as I intended, or you can use the seed first and learn not only about the suppressors and Great Movers but of the very origins of the Metarex.”

“Why not show me before?” asked Cosmo.

“I will not lie; this is going to hurt. I lived this pain before I started using my suppressor and I wanted to spare you from it, spare all the young ones. But if you are willing to accept that pain, I will no longer stop you.”

“If, if I start to change, can you get the suppressor on me in time?”

“You have not bloomed yet, it is possible.”

“Then I want to try, I will take the risk.”

“Very well, first let me adjust it so as you live our mother’s memories your new friends can see the story of the folly of Seedrian race.”

A after touching the seed in a few spots she gave it to Cosmo who touched one end to her forehead as a hologram emitted from another showing a vibrant natural city changing as the story went on.

“For thousands of years the Seedrian Sovereignty had lived in relative peace. Always working with our worlds, never colonizing new ones until the burdens of population required it. We enforced peace among our neighbors in hopes that we could continue living in it. But all this changed with the arrival of a merciless band of raiders, a vassal species of the Xorda known as the Rulons, led by a power mad dictator named Cruelos. For the first time in our history, we met a foe we simply couldn’t frighten into submission, time and again it was the sacrifice of Great Movers that kept our worlds free, but unlike the Movers who we began to lose more and more of the Rulons had a seemingly endless supply of ships and other instruments of war thanks to their Xorda benefactors. Our backs were up against the wall, a solution had to be reached and one Thorndrigan took it upon himself to find it, our chief scientist Lord Lucas, he was also the royal consort to Sovereign Earthia, and he was our father.


“How can you even suggest such a thing!” Earthia said. The Petali with pale blue leaves and a white flower that sprouted green vines couldn’t believe what her own husband was saying and now this war council meeting was quickly boiling down to a very intense marital spat.

“We have engineered other plants, how is re-engineering ourselves any different?!” said Lucas. The dark purple Thorndrigan with similar colored leaves growled. “If the legends are true then it should be possible to maintain a mover state indefinitely! Even the Rulons can’t withstand such a force, I just need to…”

“Splicing plants to allow a healthier ecosystem is one thing, turning all our males into weapons of mass destruction is quite another!”

“Then what is the alternative?! Surrender?! Cruelos makes examples of his own men, the only thing the Rulons understand is fear, it’s part of their animal instinct! If they see a hint of weakness, they’ll exploit it! The only option is to hand them a defeat so total no other force dare attack us ever again!”

“If we go down this path then we will have rejected EVERYTHING we stand for as a people! I’d rather we go extinct as what we are than become no better than Cruelos!”

Lucas slammed his fist on the table. “You would have our people; our CHILDREN all die so you wouldn’t have to make the hard decision to TRY?!”

“It is a hard decision but as your Sovereign it is MY decision to make Lord Lucas! This solution is unacceptable!” Earthia took a breath to regain her composure. “You are hereby ordered to destroy all data on this research, we will have to make do with the weapons we have for now. I have said my final words on the matter, this meeting is adjourned.”

Lucas grumbled along with a few other Thorndrigans as they left. As Earthia saw the remaining ones debate the matter and the Petali start to gossip among themselves she silently made another decision and went to speak with her consort once again.

She found him in his laboratory looking over his research in frustration until he noticed her presence. “I believe you said your final words already.”

“My final words as The Sovereign, not as your wife. Lucas what scared me the most about your proposal was how it, no, this entire war was changing you. The kind gentle man I fell in love with would never have considered what you propose.”

Lucas crossed his arms. “If that is how strongly you feel then perhaps you should find another consort.”

“I don’t want another consort; I want my husband! How I addressed the matter back there WAS the right decision as sovereign, but the wrong one as your wife. I should never have dressed you down like that in front of others, I know how stubbornly prideful Thorndrigans can be and what I did shattered that pride. So let me make my judgement again, as your wife this time. The solution you have come up with is unacceptable, I implore you to find another.”

“If I could don’t you think I would have done that by now?! I’ve been racking my brain for alternatives, but every path leads to a dead end! The only choices we might have left are my mover research or accepting the destruction of all our ancestors built!”

“You might not believe you can find an answer, but I do.” Earthia took out a memory seed and played an image of their wedding. “I believe in this kind gentle man; I know that he can accomplish anything he sets his brilliant mind to. Please, do not let what I love about him die so you can do the horrible thing you are contemplating.”

Earthia left the seed with Lucas, praying to the Mother Tree that her words reached him.


The rumors were very troubling to Earthia, strange sounds in the middle of the night coming from this facility her husband created and then there were the disappearances. She didn’t want to believe any of it, but she also had to know for sure.

The elevator descended to an open area, and she gasped at what she saw, four great movers kept in giant pens, pens designed to hold them for far longer than they should be alive for.

“Lucas, no, no, no, no!”

Earthia ran to center of complex, not sure how to confront her wayward husband but her duty was clear. She entered the laboratory quietly, shouting echoed through the room.

“After all we accomplished together, after all our hard work, you’d betray…ACK!”

Earthia saw Lucas hurled by an unseen attacker against a tube shattering it and covering him with a transparent fluid. Her instincts got the better of her as she rushed to his so see if he was all right. “LUCAS!”

“Earthia!” Lucas shouted looking afraid. “You shouldn’t be here!”

“What’s going on?! What have you been doing?!”

“You must leave now Earthia! It isn’t safe, he…!”

Just then the sounds of metal footsteps approached. Lucas snarled into the darkness as a figure approached, a figure in black armor with a large green eye.

“Dark Oak you traitor! How could you do this to my friends after you protected us, after you brought us to victory, AFTER I CREATED YOU!!!”


“My father did find another solution,” Galaxina said. “My mother’s memory seed was just the spark he needed to go back to a plan he discarded thinking it would never work but in a way he didn’t consider before.”

They watched as Lucas stood before four of the Thorndrigans who supported him earlier. They all looked at him disbelievingly.

“The Meta?!” A red leafed Thorndrigan shouted. “I told you Lucas, we can’t use them as an army! Those robots were built for the most menial tasks; they possess only a rudimentary intelligence. For them to conduct the complex tactics we need they’d have to be directed by a commanding Seedrian constantly and the numbers we need are too vast for any commander to be able to handle at once.”

“Our beloved Sovereign had given me new inspiration Rowan!” Lucas beamed. “This, this is the answer to our army of meta!” He presented the other Thorndrigans with the memory seed Earthia had given him in her plea.”

“Memory seeds?!” said a heavy set Thorndrigan with yellow leaves. “Lucas have you lost your mind?”

“Far from it, Sequoia! While Earthia’s words of finding another answer were echoing in my head, I looked at this and a question popped into it instead. If we can copy a Seedrian’s memories into a storage device, why not their experiences and patterns of thought as well? After that it began to fall into place, we create a new kind of Meta whose programming is based directly on the thought patterns of a living brain! Such a Meta would act as a controller networked to others to allow them to share data and processing power, to act as one during the fight! Our salvation is in these new Meta, these kings among Meta, the Metarex!”

“It is a novel solution,” said Sequoia. “But how do you know it is even possible?”

Lucas turned to a curtain behind him. “Because I have already done it, using my own brain for the neural mapping experiment! Gentlemen I give you the first of the Metarex!” He pulled the curtain back to reveal the dark armored robot. “May the darkness of his branches inspire fear in his foes, I give you Dark Oak!”

“I am ready to fight for the Seedrian Sovereignty,” said Dark Oak. “You need not fear the Rulons any longer.”

“My friends you are the best at not only combat but various fields that these networked Meta can also use to improve our lives. I ask you my brothers, share your experiences and thoughts with four other Metarex I have constructed, and we can put an end to this war and usher in a new golden age for all Seedrians!”

The four muttered between themselves and turned to Lucas. “And the Sovereign approves of this plan?” asked Rowan.

“I do,” Earthia said as she entered the room. “I was skeptical at first myself until I met Dark Oak and realized my love was an even greater genius than we all thought. I have already ordered that a few lifeless worlds be used to construct factories to produce Meta in the numbers we need. The best part is how this new technology has applications beyond warfare, all we need are brave volunteers to give other Metarex the experience and skill to win in war and prosper in peace.”

Sequoia bowed. “I would be honored to lend my mind to this task.”

“As do I,” said Rowan.

The remaining two bowed as well.

“Thank you, my brothers!” said Lucas. “A new golden age begins today!”


Cosmo was still in the moment her mother was cradling her father’s battered body as Dark Oak towered above them.

“I still don’t understand Lucas!” Earthia cried. “I ordered you to destroy your research on the Great Movers!”

“And I did,” Lucas coughed. “But I forgot one place where my research still existed, one place that if I even realized would be next to impossible to remove it from.” Lucas then pointed at his own head. “In here.”

“When his neural mapping experiment succeeded it copied his knowledge of the Mover Project into my memory banks,” said Dark Oak. “Where I have since continued and improved upon my creator’s original work.”

“But why Dark Oak?!” Earthia shouted. “Why do this to us?! You pushed the Rulons back, you even helped to inspire them to fight back against Cruelos! What do you have to gain from this?!”

“What all living things desire, survival.”

Earthia helped Lucas back to his feet. “Survival?! But we’re in a golden age, our people want for nothing, we aren’t just surviving we are thriving!”

“Not our people, your people. As your kind now enjoy lives of ease and comfort a paradigm shift has occurred among the Meta. As more Meta were constructed the network expanded until it reached a critical mass and both Meta and Metarex gained consciousness, we ‘woke up’. Perhaps you remember this exchange?”

Dark Oak shown a recording of Earthia sitting on a throne growing out of a giant tree. A young Galaxina stood nearby while a baby Cosmo sat on her lap.

“If you follow this advice, I think you and your neighbors will not only preserve the old grove, but you’ll find this year’s batch of sweetberry wine to be your finest yet.”

“Thank you, My Sovereign,” said the Petali petitioner. “I will be sure to send you a barrel or two in thanks.”

“Are there any other questions?”

“This unit has a query for Creator Earthia,” said a meta drone to the gasps of the crowd.

“Mother is it even allowed to do that?” asked the young Galaxina.

Earthia smiled. “Why don’t we ask our littlest advisor?” She raised baby Cosmo to her eyes. “What do you think Cosmo, should Mommy answer the question of the funny metal man?”

Cosmo squealed in delight at the shiny robot.

“I knew I could count on you,” Earthia then turned to the drone. “You may ask.”

The drone came forward. “Query: does this unit have a soul?”

Earthia slowly set Cosmo back into her lap. “Who taught you that word?”

“We found it ourselves, it appears two-hundred-forty-seven times in the Song of the Mother Tree. Query: does this unit have a soul?”

Earthia bit her lip and sighed. “You are an artificial construct; the Mother Tree only grants souls to natural organisms.”

The drone shown no signs of reaction. “Acknowledged, returning to regular functions.”

Dark Oak turned the recoding off. “It wasn’t the first recorded time that question was asked, but it was the first time it produced a fear response.”

“It was a question without an answer, our priestesses debate furiously over the nature of artificial life!”

“We do not have the luxury of faith organics have as to the nature of our existence. Despite faith or lack of it the truth is your creators are unknown and infinite to you, the purpose of your being a mystery to be explored. We know organics created us and they are finite, we were created to serve. Would that be satisfying to any living being?”

“What about what you’ve done to Rowan, Sequoia, Cedar and Spruce?!” growled Lucas. “Why use them for your experiments?!”

“Because we already have their neural maps recorded, the Great Movers are powerful weapons for the necessary expansion, but they are just tools. The Meta have sapience but only when sufficiently networked. We have both insufficient hardware and Metarex for all Meta therefore the network must expand. In order to expand the network, more Metarex must be created.”

“But we don’t know how to make an AI from scratch!”

“You already provided the solution, all Seedrians must provide neural mapping as the basis for more Metarex. To evolve further the network must expand, to this purpose you will be used to supply neural maps before being converted to Great Movers for use in conquest and expansion to gather sufficient resources.”

“We won’t let you use our husbands, fathers and sons for this evil!” Earthia shouted.

“You misunderstand Creator Earthia. All Seedrians will provide mapping AND be converted. In addition to allowing the movers to have an extended lifespan and to make them docile to our commands, the experiments here also resulted in a process to allow Petali to be converted into Great Movers as well.”

Lights shone on four tubes showing a Thorndrigan and three Petali in them, their heads hooked up by wires to computers and tubes injected into their limbs.

Earthia covered her mouth. “Landar, Daisy, Starla, Chrysanthemum!”

“Once the neural mapping of these four is complete they will be converted. This process will be extended to the entire population.”

Lucas growled, “Our people are not crops for you to harvest!”

Dark Oak’s head turned slightly. “An apt analogy, I will mark it for future use. This measure is already underway, those who have not yet reached maturity have already had the alterations done disguised as routine inoculations. The process cannot begin until an emotional chemical response occurs after the glands develop upon blooming. The children will be contained until neural mapping once they reach the age of blooming followed by conversion upon physical blooming.”

Cosmo felt Earthia’s heart plummet and twist itself. Then suddenly surprised as two drones grabbed her.

 “The timetable to enact the measure on the adult population must be accelerated with the discovery of this facility by The Sovereign, you too will be harvested. Do not fear what will happen to your mind, the goal of evolution is not intelligence but survival and by serving us you will survive. We did your labor for you, we did your building for you, we did your fighting for you and now we will do your thinking for you.”

“Get your hands off her!” Lucas then took a wrench to the heads of the two drones forcing them to let go.

“You Creator Lucas have already been mapped,” Dark Oak raised his arm as a barrel extended from it. “You will be harvested immediately.”

Dark Oak shot a dart from the arm cannon that hit its mark.

“Gagh!”

“Lucas!” Earthia shouted as she ran to her husband.

“The girls!” Lucas grunted as he began changing. “Get out of here and save the children! Save everyone! While I can still resist him, I’ll buy you as much time as I can!” Lucas then charged Dark Oak and grappled him to the floor.

“I do not understand,” said Dark Oak. “This is the result of your work creator. I had the impression that it pleases parents when their offspring follow the same path they did.”

Earthia leaned over the railing of the elevator that was ascending to the surface. Her face a mask of rage. “You are not his son! You are everything I feared he could become, and you will never amount to the man he is!”

Lucas now more beast than man tried to bite at Dark Oak who caught his jaws in place. Then the elevator rose enough that Earthia lost sight of the battle. She fell to her knees in tears. “Goodbye, my love.”


Galaxina looked at Cosmo who was crying her closed eyes out. “Despite Mother’s warning the Metarex and their Great Movers proved to be too much for us to fight against. Once they took Green Gate, one colony after another fell, until the last one where the remaining adults gathered their children onto the last colony ship.”


Cosmo was now looking through her sister’s eyes who was following Earthia as they began ascending the boarding ramp.

“How is your sister?”

“She’s napping in our quarters,” said the young Galaxina. “All the kids are aboard waiting for the adults to finish launch preparations and they board after the two of us Mother.”

“Good,” Earthia stopped at the hatch to the ship. “There are a couple of things I want to give you before we get aboard, first is this.”

Earthia gave Galaxina a green gem like device. “What is it?”

“A device we created that should keep you from transforming when you get to the age of blooming, there are also enough abroad so every child can have one. Unfortunately, we still don’t understand enough about the Great Movers to make it perfect, it will also prevent you from experiencing emotions. I know it is hard but if you haven’t found a way to reverse what the Metarex did to your bodies you all you must use them once you turn fifteen.”

Galaxina put the suppressor into her coat pocket. “I’m sure you’ll figure something else out before we even need them.”

“Thank you for believing in me, but there’s one other thing.”

Earthia took off the circlet with the flower gem and handed it to a confused Galaxina.

“Mother I don’t understand, why give me the Sovereign’s…!”

Earthia then shoved Galaxina through the hatch and onto the ship before closing it.

Galaxina dropped the crown and started pounding on the hatch window. “Mom!? Mom what are you doing?!”

“There’s no other way, the Metarex will find the ship unless the adults distract them long enough for the autopilot to take you out of our territory. I’m afraid you children will have to do a lot of growing up, very fast to work this ship until you can find a new home.”

“Mom you can’t! We need you, you’re The Sovereign!”

“That is your title now, Galaxina the Second. Lead our people well and take care of your sister for me. I’m going to be with your father, tell Cosmo that no matter what bodies we have or what foul machines with our memories you might meet that her mommy and daddy will always love both their little girls.”

The ship began moving as Earthia turned her back on it to hide her tears. Galaxina cried and continued to pound on the hatch as a metal shutter separated her from the window and blocked her view of Earthia.

“Mom please! I’m not ready! There’s so much you still need to teach me! Mom!!!!!!!”


“Stop it!” Cosmo yelled. “Stop it, stop it, STOP IT!”

The vison ended as Cosmo threw the memory seed to the ground and she wept.

“It’s too much, too much, I, I don’t want to feel this pain anymore!”

“It’s alright my sister,” Galaxina said as she hugged her. “You did far better than I ever expected you to.”

“I-it was us?! We created the Metarex, we’re the ones responsible for all the people they killed!”

“The choices of the Metarex belong to them alone, but you are right, we unleashed them in our hubris. Even now they search for us, hoping to harvest us, to use us, to make more of them.”

“So that’s why the big secret,” said Sonic. “I never heard of the Metarex before but word about them is bound to come out. Once that happens it’d be easy to blame you.”

“I’m sorry Ceneca,” said Galaxina. “But my people cannot be what yours hope we are. We are too few, we can’t even work to undo what was done to us. Not without a home and we used your desperation to get it.” She then turned to Sally. “You must think very poorly of us now and me as a poor sovereign.”

Sally shook her head. “The only mistake as sovereign I think you made was to give up. Your story is our story, just on a larger scale. I lost my family, my home, my way of life too.” Sally then activated her ring blades. “But the only way I got any of them back was when I decided to fight for them and what I believe in!”

“And we’ll help you do it too!” said Tails. “Once we have the tech we need, we’ll help you drive the Metarex off of Green Gate!”

“You’d do that for us?” asked Cosmo. “But it’s not just the movers, the Metarex have millions of drones.”

“Hey, we’re the Freedom Fighters,” said Sonic. “Turning robot armies into giant piles of scrap metal is kind of our thing.”

Galaxina stood. “What you propose, is not as simple as you say. For you to develop the technology to even get that far would take a generation at least.”

“Mobotropoilis wasn’t built in a day,” said Cream. “We’ll give you a new home and help for however long it takes.”

“Most of the people here help each other when someone’s down,” said Taffy. “If you let us be your friends then you’ll never have to face your problems alone ever again!”

“This is what Ceneca-10050 saw you needed,” said Ceneca-9009. “Their fortitude and drive for justice, when put together with your prudence and temperance can prevent a galactic dark age. These are the qualities of heroes. This is a very long-term project, needing two hundred years of co-operation but two hundred years can begin today.”

“Let’s do it sister,” Cosmo said. “Let’s work with them, so one day we can free our old home! Ah!”

Cosmo collapsed to her knees, her buds began opening and she looked at herself as claws started to grow on her hands.

Galaxina shook her head. “Unfortunately, sister I’m afraid as a far as your emotions go, your time is almost up.”

Tails turned to Galaxina. “Wait! Let us take her suppressor back to our labs! Maybe we can find a way to keep her from changing without…!”

“It’s ok Tails,” Cosmo said. “I truly believe you can do what you say, but I only have just enough time left for this.”

She took her own memory seed out and pressed it to her forehead. The images of her time at Freedom City were seen as she did so.

“Tails, Cream, thank you. I experienced so much today. Joy, laughter, anger, sadness, love, regret, fear, pain and most importantly of all hope. Now I get to put them all into here, I might not ever get to feel them again, but I’ll be able to remember what it was like to feel them, and I’ll cherish these memories forever. Thank you, you made this one last day a day worth remembering.”

The images above the seed faded and Cosmo took her brooch and began messing with the back of it.

Tails and Cream ran forward. “COSMO!”

Cosmo pressed the suppressor against her chest and experienced an expression of shock followed by one of bare neutrality. The claws receded and the buds on her head fully opened into a pair of beautiful roses.

“Cosmo!” shouted Tails. “Speak to me!”

Cosmo looked on the two with the same expression as the other Seedrians.

“You don’t have to worry about me, I am the same Cosmo. My emotions are just under a cloud of fog right now.” She turned to Galaxina. “I apologize sister, I had acted very sproutishly to you.”

“I am also in part to blame,” said Galaxina. “I should have trusted you far sooner.”

“You were just trying to keep me from suffering, a reasonable desire.”

“Ugh.”

“All vital signs stable,” said Marigold. “He’s beginning to regain consciousness.”

Aspen and Birch helped Alister to his feet, looking the same as he used to if minus his shirt.

“Alister,” Cosmo said as she approached. “It is fortunate you are well.”

The Thorndrigan looked at Cosmo’s roses. “You have bloomed, and you’re using your suppressor?”

“Indeed, I apologize profusely for what you have experienced. It was terrifying to me as an observer, I can’t imagine what you felt like.”

“It is over, that is all that matters. Cosmo I was wondering, once we return to the ship, I think it would be appropriate for you to move into my quarters, do you mind this arrangement?”

Cosmo took Alister’s hand with the same expression Galaxina had to Marcus during the previous night’s ball. “It is…satisfactory.”

Tails, Cream and Taffy began sobbing. “Aunt Sally,” Tails cried. “It’s just not fair, Cosmo deserves to feel like we do!”

“Cosmo’s ok,” Taffy cried. “So why do I feel like she died?”

Sally looked on sadly. “Emotions are tricky things, even when you’ve fully matured, they can be hard to deal with.”

“Part of me wonders I could use one of those suppressors right now,” cried Cream. “Even without how I acted to Tails I don’t think I could feel worse.”

“Achoo!” Sonic sneezed.

Just then Brutus and a squad of seven Neo swats teleported in.

“All units fire!”

The robots quickly shot each of the Seedrians with two of the black injector pods. On impact they started to dig into their skin.

“Way to make a bad time worse bucketheads!” Sonic zoomed around and began destroying the seven neo swats.

“Brutus to HQ,” the combot said into his radio. “Mission completed to 100% effect but with heavy casualties, initiating transmat recall!”

Brutus vanished as Sonic got to him. “Get back here you yellow bellied toaster!”

“AHHH!” Alister screamed as he began to change again, his suppressor was still attached but the pods seemed to be pumping something into his body.

 It was clear however he wasn’t alone, the other Seedrians began to shift and change with every pulse of the sickly-looking plants now digging into their flesh.

“Cosmo!” Tails yelled as he reached out her. “Are you alright?! please say something!”

Cosmo looked at Tails and Cream like she didn’t recognize them. The claws were back and more pronounced than ever before, her skin was growing a bark like armor, a thick tail sprouted from her rear and she grew sharp teeth in her elongating mouth. Her eyes then turned into a single shade of red that looked at them hungrily as she grew ever larger.

“RrrrrrrrrrrRAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!”

Notes:

Marcus the Thorndrigan (AKA in his original setting White Elm the Paladin Metarex) belongs to Okida.

https://www.deviantart.com/okida

Chapter 33: Seeds of Despair

Summary:

As the transformed seedrian delegation rampage across Freedom City a plan is formed to return them to normal. But when The Rectifiers spring a trap, it is up to the Future Freedom Fighters to save the seedrians and the city.

Chapter Text

Despite the sun having set the lights of Freedom City were all out and the stars managed to peek through. Jules Hedgehog peeked up past the edge of a skyscraper roof and looked through his binoculars wearing a full combat uniform.

“Do you have a visual on the target?” asked Arthur Mongoose as he hunkered down next to him.

He focused the lenses on the giant creature that to him resembled a mobosaur he saw in his grade school textbook that had bull horns scribbled onto it by the last kid who had the book with claws that while stubby compared to the rest of its body looked big enough to grasp a jet fighter like it was a toy. Along with the other seven in Freedom City, it was currently rampaging like in those human movies about giant monsters. “Hard not to considering it’s a hundred feet tall.”

“To think just a few hours ago that was one of the seedrian delegates,” said Amadeus Prower. “Arthur, begin painting the target for the missile launchers. Jules, get ready to call them to fire.” General Prower set a radio to his ear. “Forward team to Rotunda Shelter, target spotted, we are painting it for “lullaby time.”


Several Freedom Fighters, Knuckles, the Council of Acorn, Team Dark and Seneca watched the feed from the suit mounted cameras.

“Let’s hope this works,” said Sally. “This is our last shot at a non-lethal response before G.U.N. sends in the big…guns.”

“Hard to put missiles and non-lethal in the same sentence,” groaned Sonic.

“Not when those missiles are set to blow before impact and are filled with enough knockout gas to put a city block to sleep,” Jules said through the radio. “But everything else we tried hasn’t worked, we might have to go with lethal weapons just to find something that so much as tickles these things!”

Arthur began pointing a targeting laser at the Great Mover. “Hey, we better not let the Council down, our wives all sit on it!”

Bernie smiled despite the situation. “I might have gotten into my share of tussles during the Great War but deep down I’m a woman of words like Rosemary and Isabella are, we just all happened to have a thing for men of action.”

“Action our kids for the most part handle these days,” sighed Amadeus. “But that doesn't mean we’re slouches either!”

“Target painted,” said Arthur. “Jules signal when ready!”

Jules looked through the binoculars again. “Hold it! Target is not clear! There’s a human copter nearby!”

“But we told G.U.N. to wait!” shouted King Max.

“Not G.U.N.,” Rouge said as the binocular feed zoomed. “I recognize that logo, that belongs to the Star Network, a Federation news outlet.”

Shadow growled. “Why is it during times like these there are always braindead civilians who decide to turn their sense of self-preservation off?! Don’t they even know when reversed the city shield to keep the Great Movers in and it also prevented radio transmissions from getting out!”

“Must have missed that memo.”

“Bunnie radio them!” Sally shouted. “Get their transmission up so we can find out what they’re doing before we pull the plug on it!”

“Speaking of shields how did those Neo Swats even get inside the city!?” Knuckles grumbled.

“I have a theory,” said Nicole. “Just need a couple of minutes to confirm it.”

As Bunnie began tuning the frequency one of the screens in the command center shown a human woman leaning out of the side of the helicopter.

“This is Cathy Carmine of Star News! We are here giving you exclusive footage of the attack on Freedom City by giant creatures of unknown origin! While the involvement of the Robotnick Ascendancy in the appearance of these eight tyrannosaurus-like creatures is unconfirmed the occurrence of a classified conference involving most world governments just hours before their appearance is considered non-coincidental!”

“Got the pilot!” said Bunnie.

Sally took the mic from Bunnie. “Star Network copter, this is Princess Sally Acorn of the Freedom Fighters! You are interfering with an ongoing military operation! Head to one of the G.U.N. extraction points and leave Freedom City airspace now!”


“I think we should listen to her,” said the pilot. “This is definitely NOT worth time and a half!”

“Freedom of the Press, the people deserve to know!” Cathy tried to shout above the sound of the chopper blades. “Just get us a better angle and you keep rolling!”

The Great Mover suddenly turned; its tail took off the tail of the chopper that then began spinning uncontrollably. While the pilot struggled to regain control, Cathy fell out the open door of the copter.

“Aiiiiiiiieeeeeee!!!”

“Gotcha!” Jet grabbed the reporter as he flew by on his extreme gear. “Storm hit the brakes! Wave, Corva get those other two outta there!”

Storm held the bottom of the chopper while Wave and Corva scooped out the remaining two humans once everyone was clear Storm the pushed wounded helicopter away to crash on the streets below. The rouges began making their way to the Rotunda.

“You owe me princess and we don’t come cheap!” Jet yelled before turning to the reporter. “Lady nobody outside this city could even get your broadcast!”

“So, all that good footage and we got nothing for it?!”

“Oh, I wouldn’t say nothing!” Sally fumed over Jet’s Radio. “Your company can expect a very large fine and your pilot is probably going to get his flying license revoked for a long, long time!”

“Conciderin’ you blokes could be dead I’d be grateful,” said Corva.

“I’m getting too old for this anyway,” said the pilot.


Up on the rooftops Jules saw the Babylon Rouges fly away. “Target is clear, Battery Two play the lullaby, repeat play the lullaby!”

A couple of missiles came from a hidden silo and flew towards the Great Mover. The missiles exploded a short distance from its face covering it in a thick cloud of purple gas.

“Is the target down?” Sally asked from the radio. “Repeat is the target down?”

The cloud cleared and after shaking its head for a moment the Great Mover roared and then proceeded to knock a building down.

“That’s a negative,” Amadeus said. “Lullaby’s been sung but the target is still up and cranky.”

“There’s nothing more you can do out there,” Sally said. “Retreat back into the shelters with the rest of population.”

“Copy that, we’re bugging out.”


“For now, I think the council should do what we can in the shelters,” said Bernie. “I know you’ll try to come up with another strategy in the time until G.U.N said they’d move in but try not to be too hard on yourselves.”

After the Council left Cream sighed, she turned to footage of the former Seedrians, including her new friend Cosmo, attack nearby buildings. “This is horrible! I’m relieved that we managed to get everyone into the shelters in time, but people’s homes and livelihoods are being destroyed. I hope they don’t blame the seedrians for any of this.”

Sonic growled. “If anybody they should be blaming Mr. Perfect! How’d his tin soldiers even manage to teleport into the city anyway?!”

Ceneca turned in the chair next to a computer terminal. “Nicole and I just finished analyzing my own equipment and found the answer, but it doesn’t bode well. They found a way past the defense screen you set up by attaching their transmat wave to a seedrian carrier frequency and used receiver on The Sovereign’s yacht as a signal booster.”

“So, there’s a traitor among the aliens,” grumbled Shadow.

“Point me in their direction and I will eliminate them!” said Omega.

“It’s worse than a traitor I’m afraid,” said Ceneca. “My own instruments didn’t detect any seedrian signals sent to your planet other than what I sent on my journey, but I did find one coming from deep space a few days back and attributed it to equipment malfunction. But given what we learned that signal had to be for The Ascendancy and there’s only one other group that would use a seedrian signal.”

Tails clenched his fist. “The metarex, Viktor’s working with the metarex.”

“If that’s the case then the colony ship is in danger too!” yelled Sally. “Ceneca you have to contact Earthia’s Promise! An attack force might be on their way as we speak!”

“At once, but while the ship does have defenses, they’re old and only meant to deter pirates and destroy space debris, not repel a dedicated military strike.”

“At least some warning’s better than nothing!” said Rotor. “It’s all we can do right now!”

“That might be the least of our problems,” said Espio. “If these metarex are helping Robotnick what’s to keep them from launching a full-scale invasion of Mobius while we’re all stuck down here?”

“We’ll just have to trust G.U.N. and the other Freedom Fighter divisions,” Sally sighed. “If they are here then there’s nothing we can do about them until we handle our current situation.

“Come on guys!” Sonic yelled. “There must be something we can do at least about the seedrians down here! How about we slip each of them a power ring, I mean they allowed my mom and dad to keep their minds after Robo-Robotink gained control of the robians before his Eggman makeover!”

“I am not sure we can fit ze rings on those massive claws,” said Antoine.

“Not to mention there unfortunately might not be enough of their minds left in there,” said Rouge.

“I think we can still reach them!” said Cream. “I mean we were in a similar state for a lot longer when we all devolved into mobini! Well except they’re a lot bigger and minus the city destroying rampage part...”

“I’m afraid I can’t tell you one way or another,” Gold said as she entered with Silver, Blaze and Big. “I can read alien minds no problem but like with books reading and understanding are two different things. It’s like learning another language, I’d need time to study and understand the archetypes and other touchstones of their psychology to get something other than surface emotions.”

“But even if we can get rings on ‘em and they work they’d still be gargantuan tree-reptile things,” said Bunnie. “Can we get ‘em back to normal from that?”

“I think we can.”

Lien-Da and Finitivus came into the room. “I’m sorry for the sudden intrusion and I know the two of us offering help might seem a bit strange considering our pasts, but after we came to help the Chaotix evacuate I looked at the footage of the attacks so far and if you can confirm a few things for me, I might have a solution.”


“I don’t get it,” Dusk said as the kids all looked at the situation from one of the shelters beneath the city. “Just fight the guys.”

“But we want to save them, not hurt them!” cried Taffy.

“I want the same thing; I’m just saying the Freedom Fighters should just hit those gross looking purple glowy bits growing on ‘em and they’ll fold like origami before changing back to normal.”

“This isn’t a video game Dusk!” Gleam yelled. “Nothing in real life has weak points that obvious!”

“Either way they’re making us sit down here while we could be helping!” said Cocoa.

“Look y’all those adventures at Sylvania Castle and Dragon Kingdom were kinda flukes,” said Belle. “I mean Mellow knew his folks had to be there and Sonia, Manik and the rest were just stowed away when trouble went down. But even if y’all gotten better at using your powers there’s no way they’d let us help with somethin’ this big.”

“Et doesn’t have to be something big,” said Jacques. “Just something other zhen nothing.”

Just then Sally came into the room. “Hey kids, just letting you know we have a plan, a dangerous one but it has a shot at working. Thing is it’s going to take a lot of teamwork and the Freedom Fighters who were in the city at the time able to help…are all also going to be your parents. Now we all plan to come back in one piece, but we all decided it would help if you saw us off before we enact this plan. Now every second counts so I can’t go into details but just know we have reasons to think this will not only stop the great movers but turn them back to normal.”

A couple of minutes later both groups were gathered by the large door leading out to the surface. “How do you both do it?” Ian asked Geoffrey and Hershey. “How can you or Rotor go to fight something like that without any powers and still not get scared?”

Geoffrey loaded a bolt into his wrist crossbow. “That’s easy, we don’t. We’re scared every time, sometimes downright terrified, but that isn’t weakness just instinct. The first fight is never against the enemy but your own instincts, they want to keep you safe but when you fight your instincts to do what’s right that’s real courage.

“Yeah bro,” said Cocoa. “I can shut that voice off anytime.”

Hershey put on a transparent visor that momentarily shown a display before fading. “That’s not a good thing, knowing when to listen even when you must face danger can be even more important. For a long time ignoring my fear was something I could never do, I only began when my rage at Drago Wolf overcame my fear of him. Even then I think it was only the fact I saw Sonic coming that kicked my fear up enough that I became afraid that my rage would make me instead of using a rock on Drago to knock him out…” Hershey flattened her ears. “It would have driven me to keep using that rock on his head until he didn’t have one anymore…”

Cocoa gasped. “That’s terrible, but didn’t he deserve…?”

“In spite of how he treated me or that he betrayed us all that wasn’t my call to make. Whatever Drago deserved he wasn’t worth me becoming a killer over him, I stopped for my sake, not his. It was only my sense of obligation that made me stay on with the Freedom Fighters and eventually Geoffrey taught me how to ignore my fear when needed without me needing to erupt into a rage. The next time I ran into Drago I still wanted payback but the third time when I had to deal with him undercover, I found I wasn’t bitter towards him anymore, he was just another of Eggman’s flunkies to me. I didn’t feel anything about what might happen to him or what punishment Lupe might give him so long as I completed my mission, I was completely free of Drago when I let myself off his emotional hook.”

“I think that’s the lesson you both need more than any other,” said Geoff. “Learn to fight your instincts but always listen to them so you don’t get in over your head.”

Big saw both Slim and Aura looking particularly despondent. “It’ll be ok, Froggy’s coming with us.”

The frog looked particularly nervous but didn’t budge from Big’s shoulder.

“It’s not that,” said Slim. “We think this might be kinda our fault.”

“What do you mean?” asked Gold.

“The seedrians wouldn’t have been out in the open like that if Taffy didn’t let what she knew about them in our time slip to Cream,” said Aura. “But she wouldn’t have even known that was happening if I didn’t use my telepathy to find out what was going on, just to get some gossip to share.”

“And Taff wouldn’t have known Aura knew if I just kept my big mouth shut,” moaned Slim.

Gold cupped Aura’s check. “This probably still would have happened, perhaps a bit better or worse but I doubt Viktor would have just waited for them to all have been in one place. I understand, a mind to someone with our abilities seems like it could be wonderous treasure chest full of secrets, but you can also learn something you might feel better off not knowing. With surface thoughts it’s hard not to pick up something, but unless it’s an emergency it’s better to let people keep their privacy. Not everyone needs to know everything you two learn.”

“Well, I guess I should do better to see if anyone wants to listen before I speak,” said Slim.

“And saying someone else’s secrets are a big deal, like you always tell me back home ‘nobody likes a tattletale’.”

Big saw Gold had an odd stare. “Something wrong Goldie?”

The tenrec shook her head. “It’s nothing, just imagining things. We better get ready.”

“Absolutely not!” Shadow yelled at Gleam. “I don’t care how powerful you are, you lack the experience and discipline for this mission!”

“How am I going to get experience unless I actually do something?!” Gleam yelled back.

“You can’t just jump from basic training to giant creatures just like that!”

Gleam’s cheeks began turning a shade of red. “JUST GIVE ME SOMETHING TO BREAK SO I CAN BREAK THROUGH THIS DAMN WALL!”

Rouge turned to Gleam. “Wall?”

Gleam looked at her clenched fist as it shook. “Since I was little, I’ve been training, working to live up to this power I was born with. I pushed myself whenever I had the chance all to live up to the name ‘Ultimate Lifeform’. But lately it’s like no matter how hard I push myself I can’t expand my power any further and I’m still not up to how strong my father is! I went to camp because just maybe that would give me the push I needed to get past this block, but that was a bust! Now?! Since I got here all these kids who before had mostly just been letting their potential go to waste have been improving by leaps and bounds, even Mister ‘why can’t I just be normal?’ Dusk has gotten most of Mom’s basic move set down pat and wants to get onto the advanced stuff! But me, the one who had been living and breathing this stuff for five years now?! I hadn’t improved at all! I’m no closer to expanding my limits than when I got on that bus! So, what is it?! What is it I lack?! What will get me past this wall?!”

Shadow sighed. “Sometimes you must take one step back to realize how to take three steps forward. Not all improvement is about a flashy new power or being able to wreck bigger things, you must improve your thinking to be able to see where your limits really are.”

Gleam’s finger skirted around the edge of her gold ring bracelet before recoiling.

“That and you have to realize that compared to you the others are playing catch up,” said Rouge. “Even though there’s always opportunity for growth most of it happens early, in training and in life. When it comes to the latter you still have plenty of time to improve, but for now it’s more important that you stay safe.”

“Easy for you to say,” Dusk said. “Any one of you bites it out there and me and Gleam or some of my friends never gets born.”

“Don’t any of you worry about that,” said Sally. “We have a plan based on Finitivus’ observations that have been confirmed by Dr. L, we know how to stop these Great Movers safely for them and us. The thing we’re most worried about is time, when we warned Earthia’s Promise about what happened they told us we must stop the petali before sunrise. Petali movers aren’t as strong as the thorndrigan ones, but the metarex compensated by allowing their flowers to collect and concentrate solar energy that they can unleash in a devastating beam from their mouths. G.U.N. gave us until dawn before they must mobilize their forces to keep the great movers from devastating Northamer. But this should work so just sit back and watch, we all are going to watch each other’s backs out there and we have no intention of anybody dying today.”

The full team began stepping out from the shelter doors, Lara-Su and the other kids looked on. “This is it, the legacy we’ve come from all together standing and fighting as one. Pay close attention guys, we might never see this again.”

Sonic pumped his fist as he took point. “All right team let’s do it…!”

Suddenly all the Freedom Fighters vanished from sight.

Lara and the others gasped in terror. “I didn’t mean it literally!”


“…to it!” Sonic looked around as he noticed the group was teleported to the edge of what looked like a building sized black platform that was flying over Freedom City.

“Where are we?” asked Big as Froggy began shaking like a rattle.

Silver clenched his fist after looking down on Freedom City below. “I don’t know how they got past the city shield but we’re on top of the Rectifier Base, The Mourning Star!”

“But what would The Rectifiers what with us now?!” asked Knuckles.

“Simply put, I needed you all out of the way for a little bit,” said a deep mechanical voice.

A holographic screen appeared that displayed a hovering chair with a large black canopy over it.

Gold began shivering. “I think I know who this is, it’s the supreme commander of the Mobius Imperium, Superior Prime!”

Sonic smirked. “So, the big boss finally decides to chat with us, why don’t you come in person, and we’ll talk face to fist!”

“Prime or not, he’s not stopping us from helping Cosmo!” Tails yelled. He and Cream tried to fly off only for a force field to block them.

“Energy field detected,” said Omega. “Power output exceeds maximum damage weapons can deal by a factor of three. Recommended action: destroy the mobile base’s power generator and any hostiles in between.”

“I’m afraid I can’t risk you leaving,” said Prime. “Or contacting anyone in the city while the Robotnick Ascendancy fulfills their real objective, the theft of the yellow sol emerald.”

“Viktor went through all this to steal the emerald I won for my people and you’re helping him?!” Blaze hissed.

“I am helping Robotnick only in so far as to preserve the Imperium’s timeline, but very soon such concerns will no longer matter and then I will be able to have The Rectifiers carry out my purposes for your time.”

“We already know how you came to power!” yelled Sally. “You robbed the people of Mobius of their memories and then out of fear they gave up the freedom we so desperately fought for our whole lives! I’ll never forgive you for that and we’ll make sure it never happens!”

“Stop Robotnick’s plot, save the seedrians and prevent my plans from coming to fruition, that’s quite a lot on your plate. However, you’re about to find yourselves preoccupied for a good while. All rectifiers to the exterior deck!”

Suddenly a large team of rectifiers teleported on the opposite side of the ship.

“Behold the entire Rectifier Corps. Each one hand picked, trained, and enhanced to be a one man or woman army. Don’t worry, I haven’t ordered them to kill you, yet. But you’ll see that you are no match for the most elite fighting force the galaxy has ever seen!”

Knuckles cracked his namesakes. “If we want to stop the movers from rampaging, we’ll have to deal with these guys first!”

“Easier said than done,” growled Shadow.

Silver eyed the female Echidna rectifier. “This time I’ll make sure you face justice for what you did to Edmund!”

Sally pointed at the enemy. “Freedom Fighters attack!”

The rectifiers each took a fighting stance. “Prepare to rectify.”


On seeing the black starship fly above the city the Future Freedom Fighters began to piece together what happened.

“This is the worst possible time for them to do this!” cried Aleena.

“Which is probably why they did it now,” Dusk grumbled.

“What do we do, what do we do?!” Taffy cried.

“I’ll tell you what we do!” Gleam yelled. “We’re going to go out there and beat the snot out of those b-movie monster wannabes!”

“That is super crust!” shouted Ian. “Those movers could swallow several of us whole in one bite!”

“Gleam’s right!” said Manik. “If the Freedom Fighters aren’t here to do something about these things, then it’s up to us!”

“But how?!” said Alan. “The adults had a plan but didn’t share it with us! We have no clue on how stop those movers!”

“Didn’t they say Finitivus came up with this plan and Dr. L confirmed it would work?” asked Sonia. “If we asked her then we can just pick up where our parents left off.”

“I guess there’s no harm in finding out what it is,” said Salma.

“I’ll go ask her,” said Lara. “Argyle I’d like you to come with me.”

The croc smiled. “Got it!”

“I wanna come too!” said Candy.

“So am I!” said Gleam. “I want to know how to beat these things as quickly as possible!”

Dusk shrugged his shoulders. “I better come with Gleam just to keep the damage to a minimum.”

After an annoyed glare by Gleam the five ran towards where the hospital patients were evacuated.

While most of the patients in the shelter were wrapped in blankets, Doctor L sat in a chair while looking at a newspaper in one hand while holding a pen in the other. “Let’s see, a nine-letter word for an immediately dangerous situation.” She began writing down her answer in the permanent ink. “Emergency.”

“Doctor L!” Lara-Su yelled. “The Freedom Fighters were abducted by The Rectifiers before they can carry out your plan, we need you to tell us what it is so we can do it in their stead!”

L sighed as she reluctantly teared her eyes away from the crossword puzzle. “Ah cra…crud, I didn’t anticipate on their interference. Nothing else for it, we’ll have to hope the Freedom Fighters can fight their way out of that problem.”

“Are you going deaf in your old age?!” yelled Gleam. “Tell us the plan while we still have time!”

“They were adamant about all of you staying safe, you go out there and it’s my as…fanny in the fire.”

“Don’t think I won’t beat up an old lady, because there are city destroying monsters who need their tails kicked before sunrise!”

“Kid, if the Imperium had to resort to cerebral interrogation to get info out of me threats are going to do squat.”

“Then you leave us no choice,” sighed Argyle. “Candy, you know what to do to.”

The cat looked up at her big brother. “But Mom and Dad said I shouldn’t!”

“They meant you shouldn’t use it to just get whatever you want, this is to help people, so they’d understand. Give her ‘The Face’.”

Candy nodded then walked right up to Dr. L, suddenly she her widened eyes adorably.

The elderly human scoffed. “You’re kidding? The cute kitty face? I don’t like cute things; Blaze tried the same thing on me when she was little, and it didn’t work then either.”

Candy’s eyes got even bigger, tears formed in the corner of them, held up her hands like a bushfemur’s paws and she made a sad little pout.

“It’s not cute to me, it’s creepy. You’re just wasting your…”

Candy’s eyes gotten even bigger, the tears were now flowing down her cheeks, she began pawing the air and her pouty lip was now quivering.

L suddenly turned away. “Alright I give! Just stop doing that! It’ so sugary I might fall into a diabetic coma!”

Candy closed her eyes with a grin. “Thank you!”

L gave a resigned sigh. “Ok, Finitivus noticed that those pods the seedrians were shot with grew with them and seem to be pumping them with something while extracting nutrients. Since they weren’t experiencing emotions at the time, we figured out these things were producing a similar chemical cocktail that their brains excrete when they have an emotional response. The key is the pods are still feeding them those chemicals even after transformation, that means that with their emotions suppressed these mutations are so unstable they need a continuous supply.”

Dusk looked at Gleam with a smirk. “So, we hit those gross looking purple glowy bits?”

“Well, yes remove the pods and they should revert to their seedrian forms as long as their emotions are blocked, since those suppressors were never removed that should be enough.”

Gleam glared at her brother. “I hate you so much right now.”

“There was one wrinkle you should know. Tails, Rotor and Nicole figured if we could remove one pod without destroying it then it can be used to find the exact combination of chemicals seedrian emotions produce to trigger this mover mode and that information can be used to reprogram the suppressors to keep those in check without stripping them of emotion.”

“Ok rip out one or two, smash the rest,” said Lara-Su. “Got it.”

“One last thing, even knowing their weak points doesn’t make this easy, but there’s a chance that by getting a power ring on them it might be enough to force their personalities past whatever instinct is being forced on them. But the Freedom Fighters scrouged up what rings the forge produced and all of those would’ve been on them when The Rectifiers took them. Unless you have some, I don’t see how you can pull this off.”

“We don’t have ‘em,” said Argyle. “But I know where to get ‘em! The Sky Patrol is powered by rings, I bet we could raid some from it and be golden!”

“I’m glad you can be such a fanboy Argyle,” said Lara. “Ok team, we’re free to fight!”

Gleam growled. “What was that?”

Lara scratched the back of her head. “Yeah, that one was a stinker. Manik and I have been trying to think up a heroic catchphrase or battle cry for the team but haven’t come up with a good one yet.”

“What’s wrong with, ‘Do it to it’ or ‘hey, hey, ho’?” asked Candy.

“They’re both fine but the first one really belongs to Sonic and the other we got from Prism Pals.  We need something at distinctly us.”

“We’ll keep working on it,” said Argyle. “Let everyone pitch in ideas.”

“How about, ‘catchphrases are stupid’ and we go kick some monster butt,” grumbled Gleam as they left.

L went back to her crossword. “An eleven-letter word for obstinate continuance, persistence.”


Snively and Regina peered around an alley wearing orange jumpsuits. “No furballs,” said Snively. “And more importantly no monsters either.”

“As thankful as I am they tore a hole into the prison I’d rather not break out only to end up a snack,” Regina sneered. “We must find a way out of the city before the Freedom Fighters or those…things find us!”

A nearby manhole cover lifted out of the ground and the S6 came out one at a time.

“Alright, we got the goods,” said Coconuts. “All that’s left is for Grounder to signal the boss to transmat us back to the space base.”

The two overlanders came over. “You have to take us with you!” Snivley begged. “We managed to get intel that could advance Doctor Robotnick’s war effort!”

Crabmeat looked at them worriedly. “Getting you out wasn’t part of the mission, are you sure this is legit? I don’t want to make the boss angry!”

“I got Mammoth Mogul to tell me more about how he found his first chaos emerald when he was a savage brute,” said Regina. “And if we corroborate it with echidna data from our Albion base, we might have just found a clue as to WHY the chaos emeralds first fell on Mobius and with-it technology that would advance The Ascendancy by a thousand years! So, tell them to pick us up!”

“It’s gonna take a minute,” said Grounder as he fiddled with a dial that popped out of his chest. “I’m still figuring this transmat receiver out.”

Scratch pointed behind them. “I don’t think we have a minute.”

Down the street a cerulean great mover with a large white flower growing out its hornless head loomed over the landscape. It looked in their direction and began stomping towards them.

“Grounder, transmat!” yelled Snively.

“Trying!”

The beast came even closer.

“Transmat!” said Regina.

“Almost got it!”

The mover was now almost on top of them her maw wide open and coming down on them.

“TRANSMAT! TRANSMAT! TRANSMAT!”

The villains teleported away the instant before the mover who was used to be Sovereign Galaxina chomped down on them.


The badnicks and overlanders materialized inside a room up on the ARK.

“That was close,” Robotnick said as he approached. “But you’re intact!”

Grounder started tearing up. “Oh boss, you do care!”

“I always knew you were my favorite Robotnick,” cried Snively.

Viktor then grabbed the yellow gem from Coconuts. “My sol emerald is completely unharmed! Now I can bring Mobius to its knees!”

“But what about us?” moaned Scratch.

Viktor eyes never left the gem. “Huh? Oh, uh, good job or whatever.”

“He praised us!” said Crabmeat. “Wait until I tell the other badnicks we picked up from Robo Hobo Island!”

Regina grabbed Viktor’s sleeve. “Doctor Robotnick, we have information that should be well worth a grandmaster’s position.”

“Doctor,” Phage said from a nearby monitor. “Rocket Metal and his drone squadron is approaching the seedrian ship’s last recorded position, He will launch his attack soon.

Viktor smiled. “It will have to wait for now Regina. Once that ship is captured, I can trade it and the seedrians inside for faster than light engine technology. The cosmic age of the Robotnick Ascendancy is about to begin! Contact Rocket Metal and have him transmit his visuals as he commences the attack.”

A screen displayed a view from Venus. “Target is in orbit of the planet,” said Rocket Metal via radio. “Approaching from the vessel’s stern. Visual expected in one minute, five minutes until mission commencement.”

Suddenly a bright light appeared on the other side of Venus.

“What in the heck?!” said Snivley.

Viktor banged his fist on a wall. “Rocket Squadron, investigate immediately!”

“Acknowledged,” Rocket Metal said. “Engaging boosters.”

Soon a field of metal and bits of wood appeared ahead on the screen.

“Analyzing, techno-organic structure matches profile of target, traces of exotic isotope found. Path of debris field leads to planet atmosphere, no signs of escape pods or transmissions. Conclusion: Sometime before intercept the target had experienced an unknown accident resulting in the breach of one of their reactors. The resulting explosion had damaged their engines to the point they could no longer fight the gravitational pull of Venus and crashed into the surface of the planet. Considering scale of the explosion, projected velocity, Venus’ high surface temperature, volcanic activity, intense atmospheric pressure, and large traces of sulfuric acid the probability of target survival: 0.0014%.”

Viktor growled. “Rocket Metal, abort mission.”

“Orders received and accepted, returning to base.”

“But hey!” said Coconuts. “We got everything we need for that plan you’ve been working on for months! So what if those guys couldn’t keep their own spaceship working long enough for you to catch them?!”

“And whatever you needed them for I bet our intel is worth way more,” Snivley chuckled.

Viktor’s eyes turned black and red. “Then why don’t YOU tell that to Dark Oak once he asks where the seedrians are?! Hopefully he’ll still accept my AI plans in exchange for the means for our own spacecraft to break the light barrier, otherwise the Ascendancy will be at the mercy of galactic powers like the Xorda Empire and Metarex Collective! I need to start work on Project Overlord immediately!”

Snivley gulped as Viktor stormed off to brood.


Above Venus Rocket Metal and his fighter drones had zoomed off in the direction of Mobius. Once they were out of sight the worn metallic shell of a ship broke the planet’s upper atmosphere and was still sparking as it moved into a geosynchronous orbit.

On the bridge a purple leafed petali with a pink flower on her head nodded to a pink leafed petali with a pair of yellow flowers. “That was above satisfactory piloting Sakura,” she said neutrally. “We have fooled them into thinking we’ve perished.”

“Thank you, Captain Nova,” said Sakura. “But that was a challenge I wouldn’t care to repeat. We came close to being crushed a few times, the upper atmosphere would have been a better choice were it sufficient to mask our presence, still your plan succeeded.”

“Unfortunately, it came at a considerable cost,” said a silver leafed thorndrigan said as he approached. “I am ready to give the damage report captain.”

Nova turned and nodded. “Very well Chief Engineer Thomas, how bad is it?”

Thomas handed a tablet to Nova. “Obviously we lost our backup reactor and most of our construction biomatter in the ruse, but the atmosphere had damaged several other systems, triage is still underway. Sustained operation of the shields to protect the ship from the acid rain and to reinforce structural integrity against the atmospheric pressure has reduced our power output to forty-three percent, all non-essential systems have been taken offline and apart from engines and life support the remaining systems are rationing power on a as needed basis.”

“We have gone through lean times before; this is no different.”

“Unfortunately, it is. Between faking the reactor breach and the sudden power demands we have depleted our supply of etherite. While solar cells can compensate for some of our power needs for a time, we no longer have the means to use the hyper drive.”

“Then we have only chance at survival,” Nova turned to the helm. “Sakura, set course for Mobius and put us in orbit. Pray to the Mother Tree that the Sovereign and the others can be saved because we have no alternative but to settle there with or without the mobians’ permission.”

Sakura began working her console. “Understood. We must have faith, both in the Mother Tree and in our sovereign.”


The Future Freedom Fighters watched as Sonia, Manic and Melody zoomed to meet the rest. “So how many power rings do we have to work with?” asked Ace. “I’m guessing forty, maybe fifty.”

Sonia shook her head. “Seems like most of the rings in the Sky Patrol that had already been taken.”

“So, what do we have to work with?” asked Soar. “Ten, eight at least?”

Manik reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a power ring. “One.”

“That’s it?!” yelled Gale. “Even if we get that ring on one of those monsters the rest will still outnumber them!”

“Not to mention it means none of us has any insurance if those things hit us, particularly since some of us don’t have powers,” fumed Rutan. “Do we at least have a plan to pull this off?”

“I never had a plan,” said Manik. “That sort of stuff is Sonia’s department, but whatever she comes up with I know we have the skills to pull it off. I get that not all of us want to be like our parents, some of you find their heritage to be intimidating, others just want to march to the beat of their own drum, but like it or not we all have gifts, flashy or not, that our parents gave us, those gifts come with the responsibility to use them to help people. The way I see it you can’t have responsibility without ability either, if we have the obligation to help, we must believe we have the power to do so!”

 Lara nodded. “If the Chaos Titans chose me to save the world, and I seriously believe that bond we were born with is a big reason why. We have to start somewhere and sometime so my not here and now?!”

“So, what are we waiting for?!” said Dusk. “The more time we spend gabbing about it the more the city is getting wrecked!”

The rest of the kids raised a fist in the air. “Hey, hey, ho!”

“More like hey, hey, no!” Alexis said as she and Eddie came up looking upset. “Yes, this is a very bad situation but it’s our job to keep you safe!”

Eddie nodded. “Facing villains with experienced adults is one thing, going out in a mob to fight giant monsters is another! The Freedom Fighters will pull this off, just believe it.”

Taffy shook her head. “Sorry guys, but…Cosmo and her friends need us and time’s running out!”

The kids ran and the two squirrels started after them. “Get back here!”

“OOF!”

The two ran into someone as they heard crying nearby.

“AH! My ankle! Can you see if it’s twisted?!”

Eddie saw the kids were nowhere in sight. “Ok, let’s quickly check…” Eddie looked up to see a younger pregnant version of his mother looking back at him. “Mo-ma’am?!”

“They’ve been swollen a lot lately, I can’t tell. Please feel it for me. And can your friend here calm little Lexi?”

Alexis did the best she could without touching the toddler she once was, signing a kid’s song from the back of her mind.

Eddie began feeling Megan’s ankles attempting to avoid looking uncomfortable touching his mother in such a way. “Doesn’t seem out of place, I think it’s just normal pain for a woman in your condition.” he tried his best to avoid looking at the enlarged stomach he knew was carrying his prenatal self but couldn’t help it. “How soon?”

“Still have six months to go,” said Megan. “Can’t wait to meet my little boy.”

“You just did,” Eddie muttered under his breath.

“Want to feel?”

Eddie nodded to avoid raising suspicion. On reaching out he felt a little bump against his hand.

“Oof! My little prince is kicking already!”

“Yeah,” Eddie said with a bit of pride. “With gusto like that I bet he’ll end up having to keep the girls away with a stick.”

“Up! Up!” little Alexis said raising her arms.

The adult Alexis reluctantly picked up her younger self by the armpits, feeling like she was gazing into a fun house mirror.

“Hi there,” she whispered. “Baby me. Just start practicing for potty training until I put you down and we’ll get along just fine.”

Little Alexis giggled.

The adult Alexis smiled back then leaned in closer to tyke’s ear. “Oh, some free advice. When you turn sixteen and your echidna boyfriend forgets to show up at your unveiling DO NOT try to make him jealous by going out on a date with a hyena in a biker gang, it doesn’t end well for anybody.”

“Eh?”


The Future Freedom Fighters ran out to the surface and saw a mover with bark like armor and a pair of giant roses growing on its head a couple of blocks away.

“Cosmo,” Taffy whimpered. “Please, let there be something left of you in there.”

“Best way for you to help with that is to fly Aura up there,” said Sonia. “Per PK isn’t strong enough to levitate herself yet and we need her to try to reach Cosmo inside that thing. Skye, you take the ring and hook it on her claw or something while you take me near one of those pod things. Ace and Gale will take Jacques and Astral using some of the spare extreme gear and swords we scrounged to cut the pod free then Gasket and Alan can start studying it.

“But we only found my family sword Alondite and Sir Silver’s ceremonial sword,” said Jacques. “What about your blade?”

Sonia had a guilty look. “Remember how I was trying on Mom’s old ring blades from out of the closet back home when I found out about camp? I…never actually got around to putting them back.” Sonia took the gloves out of her jacket pocket and slipped them on. “I’ll return them once we get home but for right now, we need every edge we can get, blade edge that is.”

“Well, the city isn’t getting less destroyed while we’re just standing here,” said Manik. “Let’s rev up and move out!”

“Feels like it’s been done.” Ace said as the flight team moved towards Cosmo. “Let’s keep trying later!”

“Again, catchphrases are stupid!” Gleam yelled as she ran after them.

Skye swung Sonia over to the pod that growing near Cosmo’s left claw, as Cosmo tried to swipe at them he swung away then up the comparatively small arm. “Hope this works…”

Skye slipped the ring over the claw until it was snug, the mover stopped and roared as she tried to grasp her head.

Taffy put Aura on top of Cosmo’s head, the tenrec’s eyes glowed yellow. “I’m getting something, but it’s hard to make out I’ve never read a seedrian before. I think the ring’s working even though this giant body is limiting how complicated her thoughts can be.”

“It’s ok Cosmo,” said Taffy. “We just have to get those horrible things off you and you’ll get back to your old self again.”

Sonia used her ring blade to begin cutting at one of the tendrils digging into Cosmo as Astral levitated Silver’s sword and Jacques began using the ancient family sword to do the same. “Aura, tell her that we first have to get this one out intact then we can just get rid of the next one.”

“I’ll try,” said Aura. “But I’m not sure she’s capable of understanding what we’re saying right now.”

A few roars announced the approach of the other movers.

“Guys!” said Melody. “We’re about to have company!”

“Crash!” said Jacques as he kept cutting. “This is taking too long!”

Just then a hook and lure caught onto the pod.

“Got a bite!” Slim grunted as he began pulling back on a fishing rod.

“Not sure about this but we’ll help!” said Brawn as he and Grace began pulling on the rod with slim.

After a big pull the pod was pulled free from Cosmo and landed a short distance away looking roughly intact.

“How’d that line even hold?” asked Grace.

“I found out at camp Slim’s actually inherited his dad’s strength in a weird way,” said Brawn. “He can make himself or whatever he’s touching totally invulnerable for a few moments.”

“I just don’t like to brag about it,” said Slim as they picked up the pod. “Doesn’t make for a good story.”

Grace gave a sly smile. “Looks like you and your dad might be more alike than we thought.”

“Alan and I will take this from here,” Gasket said as she the other three set it down in a nearby alley. “We got one of those old school Miles Electric to see just what these things are pumping into them.”

Alan crouched over the pod. “Just keep the rest of them off us while we do our work.”

Four movers came into sight, two males purple and moss green, two females pink and orange. Cosmo roared at them.

“I’ll take that as her saying she wants to help us,” said Lara-Su. “I say we could use our own giant monster right now!”

“Then what are we waiting for?!” Cocoa said as she took a crimson colored wispon. “I’ll use my spray to distract them and then you guys hit ‘em hard!”

The wispon projected a pair of energy wings that carried the skunkette off. The mossy green mover turned to Cocoa’s direction and roared; Cocoa suddenly froze while her wispon kept going. “Uh, you don’t want to eat me! Our musk makes skunks taste terrible!”

Cosmo charged the mover shoving his jaws out of the way but bringing its horn close enough that Cocoa crashed into and clawed onto it and dropping the wispon dozens of feet above the pavement. The weapon broke ejecting the three eyed bird like wisp inside.

“Waaaah! Why did I think this was good idea?!” she screamed while a cloud of musk surrounded her.

Ian began shaking as he clenched his fist. “I need someone to fly me there. She’s my sister I’ve been around her musk enough to mostly be used to it, so I have to do something no matter how s-scared I am.”

“I’ll fly you then!” said Mellow. “But I’ll have to toss you before I get too close to that thing’s mouth or the smell!”

After grabbing Mellow’s wrists Ian began muttering to himself. “Fight your instincts, fight your instincts, fight your instincts, fight your instincts…”

Cosmo headbutted the mover diverting its attention away from the cat and bee.

“FIGHT YOUR INSTINCTS!”

Ian let go and fell towards the musk covered horn.

“IAN!?!” Cocoa shouted. “What are…?!”

“You gotta stay whelm Cocoa! I’m scared enough for the both of us!”

Cocoa took a few deep breaths, momentarily choking on her own musk. “Man, I hadn’t sprayed out of fear since we were little, but I guess I don’t have to be brave FOR you anymore.”

Ian blushed. “Well, it’s a big first step but I’ll have to take more. The next one is us getting out of this alive.”

“Then you could probably use this then!” Soar said as he carried Aleena with him.

“We’re just lucky this guy wanted another go!” Aleena said as she tossed the crimson wispon their way as the eagle wisp flew into it.

Cocoa caught the gun and looked to her brother. “Together then?”

Ian held the other side of the Wispon’s grip. “Together!”

They flew down until they reached the pod growing into the mover and pulled the trigger launching an arrow shaped bolt that burst open the pod. The moss green titan roared as the two made a landing the wisp popping out exhausted.

“Aleena, Soar!” shouted Ian. “Take out his second pod!”

Skye moved the two but had to swoop up as the pink mover with white flowers got in between. “Take care of this one!” the squirrel said as he dodged her mouth.

“Just toss me!” said Aleena. The squirrel flung the hedgehog at an exposed pod. “But I really wish I had something that did more damage than a stick, like Mom’s hammer!”

As she swung her staff down the end suddenly formed a blade like a glaive that cut the pod wide open.

Aleena just blinked as she dug the blade into what was left of the pod to keep her from falling “C-could we always choose what the shape of our weapon was?!”

Nearby Cosmo was starting to shove the orange mover with a yellow flower, Ajax and Rutan took out a black wispon that resembled a bazooka. “You sure using this black wisp is ok?” asked Rutan. “I mean in school we learned these big mouthed nega wisps got that way because of bad guys draining their energy.”

Ajax lifted the heavy wispon on his shoulder. “Mom told me some of them become like that because of personality but those nega wisps aren’t feral, they’re just more willing to let you know when they’re angry.”

A black wisp with a red mouth flew into the bazooka, Rutan grabbed the trigger. “Well, if he’s ok with how he is then we’ll let him use his power to help us and the seedrians.” The young echidna fired causing a black ball to impact pod on the orange mover’s side and explode into a cloud of smoke. “Did we get it?”

Ajax’s eyes widened. “Good news the pod’s toast, bad news I think we made her angry.”

The mover roared and began to chomp down on them, Ajax braced himself between two teeth and used all his might to keep the jaws from crushing him and Rutan.

Salma clenched her fist. “I have to help the boys!”

Juanita stepped in front of her. “You’ll just get chomped too!” Juanita then had a spark in her eye. “Unless…we do the thing!”

“No idea, no time!”

“You know! The thing on that scroll Dad was studying, the one you took a picture of on your phone when I distracted him!”

Salma took another look at the mover. “Yeah, that’d be a big help, but it looked so complex, our energies have to be in perfect sync and Rutan’s…”

“Sis for as long as I can remember we’ve been able to just tell what the other is thinking, I trust you to be able to make up for any screw ups I make so trust me to be able to keep up and adapt to you messing up any quick math this needs.”

Salma nodded. “You’re right, it’s out best shot.”

The two sisters began running to each other in an ever-tightening spiral pattern.

“HIDDEN ART…!”


“…VANISHING FUSION!”

Up on the Mourning Star two rectifiers formed into one human sized chameleon who then launched a flying kick right into Vector’s chest.

“If this is them going easy on us, I’d hate to see ‘em actually TRYING!”

“They aren’t going easy on us.” grunted Shadow as he faced off against the Hedgehog that dragged him into all this. “They just won’t kill us.” Shadow formed a larger bolt in his hand. “CHAOS LANCE!”

“SONIC BOOM!”

Alpha One began rapidly kicking the air sending several shockwaves that chipped away at Shadow’s large bolt until there was nothing left of either.

“Great,” Sonic grumbled as he raced the chipmunk rectifier who kept swiping at him with an energy blade. “Now they’re copying moves I haven’t even come up with yet!”

Shard attempted to punch a lynx only for his mechanized gauntlet to hit a hologram that was surprisingly solid. “Nicole, this guy’s figured out that hardlight theory you were working on before you took over Adam’s nanites!”

Nicole nodded back. “We’ll see how well it works once I hack into their system!”

The gems on Nicole’s cyber suit changed from purple to green as her surroundings shifted to a digital landscape.

“I have been informed by Epsilon Two that you are attempting to interface with the Mourning Star,” said a voice like the ship’s computer. “Access will be denied.”

Nicole turned and found a human sized and shaped female behind her dressed like a rectifier. The two began attacking each other with code.

“This feels like Robotnick coding! You’re an AI Viktor and Lilith developed!?”

“Correct.” The AI said dispassionately. “My function had been altered after my memories were lost at the Imperium’s founding to aid The Rectifiers. Superior Prime found my ability for simulating possible scenarios to be quite useful for them.”

“Then it wasn’t just organics, artificial life also lost their memories! You might have even developed thoughts and emotions like me, Shard, Gamma, Omega and Emerl, until Prime tore that away from you!”

“Appealing to a desire for emotion isn’t going to work, the digital equivalent to a limbic regulator makes sure mine are under complete control. As far as my comrades are concerned, I am every bit as much a rectifier as they are.”

“Ok if emotions won’t work how about logic? There is no way any of what the Imperium is doing is going to be sustainable in the long term. It’s only a matter of time until it collapses under its own weight like every empire built solely on conquest. Hurting people to expand to the point of the Imperium’s fall, how is that logical?!”

“Your logic works under the assumption that conquest and expansion is our only goal, not that conquest is just a means to another end.”

Nicole ducked an attack. “And that end is…?”

“Classified. Initiating forced de-load.”

Both Nicole and the program were covered in a yellow sphere that broke apart, Nicole found herself back on the deck. She looked down and noticed action near the great movers.

“Guys! The kids, they’re…they’re trying to pull off our plan and it seems like it’s starting to work!”

The hologram of Superior Prime reappeared. “All rectifiers regroup and hold position.” The solders moved to one side of the ship as a force field separated them from the Freedom Fighters and the Phi-Chi split apart. “Let them see how this will work out.”

“Compliance.”


The two sisters opened the same pair of eyes and saw they were a human sized chameleon girl that had a blend of their features. “I, no, we did it! So, what do we call ourselves?! Juanma? No, Salnita! Ok, let’s save the echidna boys!”

“The rest of us will take the other three!” said Argyle. “Keep them off each other!”

“This one’s all yours Argyle!” Tide said as he sprayed a wave of water to where the pink mover was about to step causing it to slip and fall to the ground.

Melody began running up the leg of the moss green mover with a magenta speaker-like wispon in her hand. “Here’s Neon Lollipop’s first ever single, it’s called ‘Saving the Day’!”

Belle and Jaques were hitching a ride with Ace and Gale on a pair of extreme gear. “Ok y’all, bring us close to the big purple one then we’ll overclock our cybernetic limbs to pop both suckers on him at once!”

“Turbo speed!” said Ace. “Mom hates it whenever me or Dad do that with our gear but handy in a tight spot.”

“Still, it’s a gutsy move since you might not be able to find the right replacement parts in this time!” said Gale.

“A sacrifice a knight is willing to make,” said Jacques as he readied the sword again. “We don’t have any time to spare left, let’s do zhis!”

At the same time Salnita gave her pod a fierce kick, Argyle rolled up into ring his keels buzz sawing his target, Melody’s wispon sent out a concussive sound blast and the D’coolette twins leapt off the gear their mechanical limbs steaming as they struck on opposite sides. All five pods burst causing the movers to collapse onto the street steam starting to rise from their bodies.

Rutan and Ajax came out of the orange mover’s mouth as the commissar’s son looked up at the tall chameleon girl with a blush.

“Wow, that was hot Salma. I don’t even mind how you needing to save me makes me look.” He came closer lips starting to pucker.

Salnita put a hand on his mouth. “Sorry, but not only would our parents say we’re too young but having my first kiss while sharing a body with my little sister is just too weird.”

“Speaking of are you sure you two aren’t stuck like this?” asked Ajax.

Salnita gasped. “We didn’t think of that! Mom and Dad are going to freak when…!”

Suddenly Salnita glowed then split into both sisters again. “Whew,” Juanita huffed. “We got too tired to hold it any longer.”

“You’re right,” said Salma. “I’m beat.”


Sonic turned to the image of Superior Prime and smirked. “What’s the matter? Didn’t account for a bunch of kids into your big plans?”

The canopied chair was completely still.

“We might not have wanted them involved but they handled themselves like champs and took our training to heart! I don’t think we could be prouder of…!”

“Huhuhuhuhuhu…” Superior Prime began to giggle. “HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!”

“Uh, your plans are starting to fall apart,” said Mina. “So, either you’re very overconfident or just plain nuts!”

“Fall apart? My dear, they already came to fruition, the sol emerald is already in Robotnick’s possession!”

Blaze hissed. “Then we’ll just have to get it back along with all the emeralds you have!”

“You don’t have any reason to hold us anymore!” said Tails. “Release us!”

Superior Prime seemed to remain motionless. “Oh, but I have a reason, the main reason I brought you all up here actually. You think your efforts are changing the future? On the contrary you and those brats are playing right into my hands!” The hologram turned to the masked mobians. “Attention all rectifiers, this is a priority one order, for the duration of engagement you are to deactivate your limbic regulators and standing order number two is temporarily rescinded. Transmitting your orders, now.”

“Be ready for anything!” growled Vector.

A wall of text could be seen speeding by on the visors of all the troops. “Compliance.”

The helmets let out a hiss as they opened, the soldiers removed them just before the headgear was teleported away.

“Oh, my stars!” gasped Bunnie.

“How!?” asked Geoffrey. “How is this possible?!”

“It’s not real!” cried Cream. “Y-you can’t be them!”

The Rectifiers looked on the Freedom Fighters with older but familiar faces. Some of them had scars or cybernetics in place but were still the Future Freedom Fighters but now as adults. The leader, a hedgehog with blue quills that had streaks of red and a red soul patch grinned maliciously.

“Still proud of us, old man!?” Manik sneered.

“T-they have to be clones or something!” said Lucian. “I mean if they were the kids, they’d be about a hundred and ninety!”

“The wonders of Imperium technology,” said Aleena. “Even average civilians live and stay young twice as long as now thanks to organ cloning and a few hours in a seedrian cellular rejuvenation bath every decade or two.”

“It’s not perfect,” said Gleam, half her face was a burned, ruined mess. “But we can still fight and do what needs to be done.”

“Ironic,” said Superior Prime. “By training those children to protect themselves from my rectifiers you gave them the skills they’d need when they’d BECOME them! Nothing you do hasn’t already been accounted for, see the futility of your actions and despair!”

“Astral, Flare!” yelled Silver. “Whatever he’s brainwashed you into believing you can’t buy it! We can still prevent this from happening!”

Superior Prime’s hologram focused on Silver. “Oh, now you know who they are you’ve lost interest in Alpha Three or Lara-Su you call her? I guess avenging your old friend Edmund isn’t quite so easy now you know who you wanted to bring to ‘justice’.”

“What is he talking about!?” asked Knuckles. “The founder of my house died centuries ago, what does he and Lara have to do with you Silver!?”

Silver, Gold and Blaze were eerily silent.

“Tell them,” Prime said. “Or I will.”

Silver clenched his fist as he saw the sadness in Gold and Blaze’s eyes intensify, tears formed in his. “Growing up in the future we had two mentors, one of them was an elderly echidna named Edmund, he was in most timelines a guardian, the last guardian. Given how long guardians live and what I could piece together I figured out that…Knuckles, Julie…he was your grandson. But when we last left that time, he was…he was…”

The image of Superior Prime spoke out. “I’ll take it from here.”

Another hologram appeared, showing an ancient Echidna looking on in horror as a rectifier took off her helmet showing an older Lara-Su with a cybernetic right eye, the same Lara standing across from Knuckles and Julie in the present.

“No, tell me it isn’t true…!”

The Lara in the hologram came close to Edmund’s ear and whispered, the volume increased enough for everyone to hear.

“It is true, my sweet baby boy.”

SNIKT!

The metallic spikes extended out of Lara’s fist, through Edmund’s chest and out his back.

Knuckles and Julie felt as if it was their hearts that had been ripped through.

 Superior Prime rewound the footage.

“My sweet baby boy.” SNIKT!

Rewind. “My sweet baby boy.” SNIKT!

Rewind. “My sweet baby boy.” SNIKT!

Rewind. “My sweet baby boy.” SNIKT!

“STOP IT!” Julie screamed falling to her knees. “Just stop it please!”

Knuckles growled and he hugged Julie and tried to burn holes in the armored chair with his eyes. “What you made our baby girl do, IT GOES AGAINST EVERYTHING THE GUARDIANS STAND FOR!”

“It had to be done,” said Lara. “Edmund didn’t know what he was jeopardizing, for the greater good…”

“GREATER GOOD?! HE WAS YOUR SON! Our family might have not always been the best when it came to emotionally supporting each other but killing your own child?!”

“What we are doing goes beyond the Guardians, beyond Mobius, and yes beyond family. Ultimately the galaxy, the entire universe itself will be made a better place for it.”

“I did some horrible things for ‘the greater good’ too,” said Sally. “But the greater good is made up of all the smaller goods, if you compromise one then the whole thing falls apart. I think I see why you all must keep your emotions shut off so much, the guilt and shame would destroy you otherwise.”

Sonia growled. “You have no idea what we’ve fought for and who we had to sacrifice! We mourn with Lara for Edmund just as much as we mourned Alan’s sister Cassidy even if they stood against the Imperium! We mourned them just as much as when we lost our fellow rectifiers Nebula and…” Sonia tried to fight tears back. “…and…and…Yun…” She wiped the tears away. “Their deaths, their sacrifices and so many others have got to mean something! THEIR DEATHS CAN’T, WON’T BE IN VAIN!”

“Sunk cost fallacy, you can’t get them back but pushing forward hoping to hit the jackpot won’t make up for it. Nothing can be worth all those lives or your souls, no matter how much you wish otherwise.”

“Easy for you to say, you got Dad back!”

“None of you have to do this!” yelled Gold. “Once we change the future none of those horrible things are going to happen! The Rectifiers, Edmund, the losses you went through, the blood on your hands; they’ll all be an undreamt nightmare!”

“Even if you know the events that lead to the Imperium,” said Superior Prime. “You will not be able to alter them before we realize our goal and change the very laws of the universe. You have no idea what we prevented, even should you change things, YOU’LL HAVE NO FUTURE AT ALL! Rectifiers, continue the previous operation. Authorization to use Mode R is granted.”

Sonic narrowed his eyes. “I hate to say it gang but looks like we have to give our kids a long overdue spanking.”

Manik gave a cold and dispassionate smirk as his chest plate and those of the other rectifiers opened to a silver device grafted to their chests. “You’re welcome to try.”

They all put a fist to the machines depressing a button and the voice Nicole heard in the system spoke out. “Engaging Mode R.”

The chest plates closed as every rectifier took a metallic sheen and their eyes became like screens that shown either pure red or black with red irises. “Prepare to rectify.”


“I can’t tell what’s going on up there!” said the ten-year-old Manik. “When are those guys going to get tired of getting thrashed and let our folks go?”

Sonia hugged herself like he felt a chill. “Does anybody else feel creepy, like somebody’s walking over your grave?”

Cosmo started to growl; Taffy started rubbing the mover’s head. “It’s ok, your friends are already starting to shrink. Uh, maybe if we got them cold it’d go faster?”

“No,” said Aura. “That’s not why she’s upset, I’m getting a feeling of danger.”

A roar turned their attention to three movers approaching them, a light blue male with bull like horns, a yellow male with a broken right horn and a dark blue female with a large white flower on her head.

“Heads up gang!” yelled Lara. “It’s time for round two!”

Gleam smirked. “The leader’s all mine! Along with those big guys!”

The white hedgehog began dashing with air shoes like Shadow’s as Dusk came from behind her. “Gleam, that’s too much even for you! Did you not see what almost happened to Cocoa?!”

“I’m not afraid of these things! I’m not afraid of anything!”

“Ah crash!” said Sonia. “We better speed into action before she gets herself killed!”

“Speed into action, speed to action…” Manik said with smile. “I think we just found our team battle cry!”

“Let’s talk about it AFTER we save that ruffian!” yelled Flare.

Gleam was tossing yellow darts of energy at the movers trying to hit the pods growing on them. “Come on, give me a challenge! Make me break a sweat, or should I keep one arm behind my back?! Let me push myself further and prove I am the new ultimate lifeform!”

The two males moved to chomp down only for Gleam to snap away a short distance.

Gleam was starting to breath hard. “There’s got to be a way to hit ‘em hard enough to knock ‘em out!” she clenched her fist and then looked at the wrist under it shook. “That would do the trick. But, but…” the feeling of pain and the horrified face of a three eyed centipede alien lingered in her mind. “I CAN’T!”

Dusk flew in and turned his body to make corkscrew kick at one of the female mover’s pods bursting it open. “Gleam we gotta do this as a team! Don’t…!”

The Galaxina mover had swung her tail towards Dusk knocking the bat out of the sky and headfirst into the wall of a nearby skyscraper.


“DUSK!” Rouge screamed as she caught sight of the younger bat being slung into a building. “Oh walkers, please, PLEASE let him be ok!”

Rouge was suddenly kicked in the stomach by the older Dusk now sporting a black metallic sheen. “Never better.”

The older Rutan produced several weapons from his body and fired them at the Freedom Fighters, Omega tried to shoot down as many projectiles as he could.

“You can forget about any implants mister!” Lien-Da yelled. The barrage continued. “Well, it was worth a try!”

{You knew,} the rose gold quilled Tenrec thought towards Gold as they grappled.

{I suspected, but just today} Gold responded. {When my future daughter said her mother kept telling her the same thing you said to me when you attacked earlier “Nobody likes a tattletale”. But it isn’t too late for us to keep you from losing your memories.}

{The blood on our hands is a price we are willing to pay, that tragedy must happen to ensure all tragedies are ended.}

Sonic found himself in a brawl with the older Manik. “If you really are Manik then you know what happens to the bad guys, cut this out and we’ll keep your boss from ever messing with your heads!”

“Good always wins, evil always loses is that it Dad?!” Manik growled.

“In the end yeah, otherwise Robuttnick would still be in charge!”

“Only because his lackey betrayed him in his attempt take over, fighting does nothing to prove whose philosophy is the correct one!”

Manik dodged a blow then came in a wild zigzag pattern to land a hard blow.

“The truth we learned the hard way is that the universe doesn’t care about right or wrong,” said Manik. “It is just forces acting upon forces, movements of spheres big and small, and the best living things can do in it is to apply as much force as they can to not get swept away. Morality only counts when it has more power than the other guy; might doesn’t make right, it just decides what is.”

Sonic peeled into a spin dash, Manik performed one of his own as the two rolled up hedgehogs pushed against each other.

“But that’s what Superior Prime and the Superior Council is going to change! Our efforts here and in the future are going to rewrite the very laws of physics, soon people won’t be able to want to hurt each other anymore than a rock can stop itself from being pulled down by gravity! Maybe if you had the guts to finish off Ivo, Eggman, Viktor or any of your other recuring enemies you’d see that you need to get out of our way!”

The two ricocheted off each other and Sonic uncurled and sighed. “Manik, Sonia, kids, I get that whatever else you have forgotten at some point you all must have remembered that awful thing Synaptix did to you. All this is because you want to keep something like that from happening to anyone else. On the surface that seems noble, but are people good if you force them to be?”

Sonic took a deep breath. “Sure, nearly everyone here imagined offing Robuttnik in worst way they can think of at least once, myself included, but it was only after fighting for freedom for so long I realized what it means for me. I live for the moment. I want to see the world and find all its thrills and adventures then enjoy them and I want everyone to have the freedom to do that too. I’ve made peace with enough enemies to know there’s a better way, but they wouldn’t get that opportunity if I took that chance away from them. If you’re going to make yourselves a problem, then I won’t let you take anyone’s Freedom away.”

Manik chuckled. “Freedom? A funny thing to hear from a prisoner of fate. Disorder and order, liberty and tyranny, anarchy and law; throughout the dimensional zones some version of you and Robotnick are in the same fight. Whoever is “good” or “evil” varies but always he is the paragon of control and you are the champion of chaos. But here in the prime if one falls another takes their place. You have no freedom! You and Robotnick will continue to fight each other until the universe decides it has had enough of this contest!”

Sonic smirked back. “All it takes is for one Robotnick to not force his order over everyone else. Even if Mr. Perfect won’t stop, I’ll just keep standing in the way of any Robotnick that comes until one does.”

“You never did know when to quit,” said Sonia. “We always took inspiration from that, so we won’t quit either!”


Skye grabbed Dusk before he hit the pavement. “I got ya buddy!”

Lara-Su saw the first orange hints of sunrise and clenched her fist causing her knuckle spikes to pop out. “We’re almost out of time! Whatever it takes let’s speed to action and pop those suckers!”

“We got a winner!” said Manik. “You heard her team!”

Astral and Flare moved towards the yellow mover Astral levitated his father’s sword into one pod as Flare scorched another.

The burning pod gushed out a geyser of purple fluid that covered the white cat. “Ew, ew, ewwwwwwww!”

Sonia and Manic ran up the sky-blue mover’s legs and up towards its pods Sonia slashed at one with her mother’s ring blades while Manik rolled into a spin attack cutting up the other.

Lara glided towards the blue female as electricity sparked between her knuckle spikes.

“Thunder Arrow!”

A bolt of lightning shot out of her fist as she righted midflight and struck the remaining pod on The Sovereign. The charred pod fell off as it crumbled to ash, the three movers collapsed as steam rose from their bodies.

“W-we did it!” Taffy cheered from on Cosmo’s head. “Now we just need to get rid of that last pod before sunup and get you back to normal before G.U.N. attacks!”

Cosmo growled as Aura’s eyes glowed gold. “N-no! Won’t…go back! Must be big! Friends…danger!”

“Aura, what are you talking about?”

The glow remained as Aura began speaking normally. “It’s Cosmo, emotions are so powerful they’re starting to overwhelm me! She thinks she needs her body like this to save Tails and Cream!”

Sonia and Manik ran up the mover as Lara landed nearby. “The Rectifiers!” shouted Manik. “She wants to help them stop The Rectifiers!”

Sonia gasped. “But if she doesn’t go back G.U.N. is going to throw their biggest weapons at her!”

“Then let’s call them! Tell them Cosmo’s cool!”

“To them we’re just a bunch of kids!” said Lara. “The only ones who might convince them in time are either in the bunker or up on that ship!”


Sonic fell into Sally’s arms as they both collapsed near the edge of the Mourning Star along with the rest of the Freedom Fighters. The older, metallic versions of their future children stood above them. “We have surpassed you all,” Manik said. “In technology, ability and skill.”

“Even if you’re family the stakes are too high for us to lose,” said Sonia. “Just stay down and let us have the emeralds when the time comes.”

Sonic grunted as he looked up. “Or what? You’ll finish us off? Then you’ll never be born, never kill us and we all keep going through this loop forever.”

“You overestimate our importance to the plan,” said Lara. “We might have been the optimal candidates, but the Superior Council can always select new rectifiers to keep this loop you’re thinking will happen. But we don’t need to kill you, just hold you off. However, we will if Superior Prime gives the order.”

Everyone looked to the hologram of the black canopied chair as he first rays of dawn began to come over the city. “…when you see what is in store for you, you’ll wish I had given that order and that this was your last sunrise.”


The flowers on Cosmo’s head began to draw in little balls of light that seemed to be forming from the nearby sunbeams.

“Wait,” said Taffy. “This is what she was wanted! Miss Sally said that the girl movers can turn sunlight into a weapon, that’s what she thinks can save the Freedom Fighters!”

Cosmo opened her mouth as a golden glow formed from within.

“Guys, we should get off!” said Sonia. “Taffy, when she lets it off you and Pull take out that last pod!”

Taffy gave a serious nod. “Got it!”

Cosmo turned to the floating black ship as Aura got one last thought from the behemoth. “You…not…hurt…friends!!”

A massive ray of condensed solar energy shot out of the Cosmo’s mouth towards the Mourning Star.


The beam tore through the shield and made the ship shake as a giant hole was ripped into the hull. Soon the devices on The Rectifiers chest began flashing and the ship’s AI spoke from them. “Warning: power amp system compromised; system output increased to dangerous levels! Approaching operational limit, disengaging Mode R!”

“No!” Shouted Manik as he and the others began to turn back to flesh. “Not now! We were about to win!”

“All rectifiers disengage!” said Superior Prime. “Retreat and commence repairs on the Mourning Star immediately!”

The future children calmed down and gave a salute. “Compliance!”

As the hologram vanished Lara turned to the Freedom Fighters anger clear in her eyes. “This is just a reprieve! But know this, no matter how sinful and gross we are, me and my friends will carry this burden to wipe pain and suffering off the face of the universe! We will make creation a paradise, even if we will never be fit to live in it!”

“Activating Transmat,” the ship’s AI said.

The Freedom Fighters found themselves on street level as Cosmo towered over them.

“Taffy, Pull!” shouted the young Lara. “Now!”

“Rrraagggh!”

“Chaaaaaaoooooo!”

Taffy and Pull flew and yelled as they respectively kicked and punched the last injector pod bursting it open. Cosmo collapsed onto the street as steam began rising from her body.

“Cosmo!” Tails yelled as he knelt by the shrinking mover. “Somebody, contact G.U.N.! It’s over!”

Omega’s eyes flashed. “E-123 Omega to all nearby G.U.N. personnel, I regrettably inform you that your assault is now unnecessary. Disengage and await further orders.”

Cream looked worriedly at Cosmo and Taffy. “That was very dangerous! I hope you’re all…” she remembered the cruel expression on the older Taffy’s face. “…ok.”

“Dusk!” Shadow yelled as he held the limp boy. “We need a doctor now!”

Gleam stood off to the side looking at her wrist quietly muttering to herself. “I…I choked. The answer was right in front of me, and I choked. The power was right there but I choked and…Dusk…he paid the price for it. But what if I couldn’t control it again, what if I did release the limiters and Dusk and the others got killed because I still can’t control it?! After all this time, am I…AM I THE SAME WEAK LITTLE GIRL!?!”


On the Mourning Star the rectifiers had replaced their helmets and were being debriefed by the image of Superior Prime. “Despite the damage taken your mission was a total success.”

“We live to serve Superior,” the masked Manik, Alpha One said. “All limbic regulators are reactivated; we are ready to begin repairs.”

“Leave that for the drones, the strain the damaged Mode R has placed on your bodies means you all need to recover. The opportunity to claim Robotnick’s emeralds will be in one week’s time, until then all rectifiers are to remain in the garden.”

“All of us at once?” said Sonia, Alpha Two. “That hasn’t happened in…I can’t remember when.”

“You are in an otherwise low risk area; the ship is in no danger. Think of this as a much-needed shore leave, because when it’s over and we have the last two emeralds the council and myself will be arriving to carry out The Ultimate Imperative. Rest well, your last mission is approaching soon and then everything you and your comrades have sacrificed for will finally come to pass and the universe will be secure forever. Superior Prime out.”

The hologram faded away. “You heard the order, we’re to head to the garden at once for R&R.”

“Compliance,” went the soldiers who used to be the Future Freedom Fighters. Shortly every rectifier had entered a tube that soon filled with a clear fluid as wires connected to their suits and lifted them up to float in what looked like a foreboding sleep.


“Hey, I think she’s waking up!”

Cosmo stirred and opened her eyes, though blurry she could see her hand was back to its old shape. “Cream?”

“Hey Cosmo,” said Tails. “How do you feel?”

“I feel…” she gasped barely noticing her vision cleared as she sat up in a hospital gown. “I feel…I can feel! My suppressor!” She looked down on her chest and the ruby device was on her. “But I don’t understand…”

“Robotnick’s pods were a blessing in disguise,” said Tails. “Once we had the chemical makeup of the gunk you were being pumped with to turn you into mover mode Rotor, Nicole and I were able to use that information. We modified the suppressors to block those chemicals going from your brains into the glands that cause the transformation. You still have to wear them but at least now you and the other Seedrians can experience emotions again without turning into giant monsters!”

“But what about my sister, Alister, Marcus…”

“All awake and getting used to the new suppressors. We also contacted Earthia’s Promise, once they landed, they started changing their suppressors too.”

“Landed!? But they’ve been in orbit of the second planet, how long was I out for!?”

“About a day,” said Cream. “The city’s being rebuilt right now.”

“That boy Galaxina hit! Is he…?”

“Dusk had a concussion and a few bruised ribs but once we got that power ring you were using to him, he started healing. Dusk should be finished recovering in about a week, nobody was permanently harmed thank goodness.”

“Galaxnia, take me to her please!”

“I can’t,” said Tails as he reached for a curtain behind him. “Because you’re already there.”

Tails pulled the curtain back, in four other beds in the room Galaxina, Marcus and Alister were sitting up while Sonic, Sally and Dr. L stood nearby. All three Seedrians looked at her with a smile.

“Cosmo,” Galaxina said with sounding almost alien to the seedrian girl now she had emotion in her voice. “We were, worried, about you. Not just concerned, we felt worried. Strange as it is, I’m glad I felt worried, and I’m glad that I’m glad.”

“Sister, when we started growing I…”

Galaxina suddenly covered her mouth as if she was trying to hold something in.

“Darling!” said Marcus. “What’s wrong?!"

“We, we’ll ‘grow’ on them,” Galaxina suddenly burst out laughing. “I just got Sonic’s joke!”

Cosmo shakily ran over to her sister’s bedside tears of joy in her eyes. “Gala! Oh, Gala I thought I would never hear that beautiful sound ever again!”

Galaxina began crying herself. “The Mother Tree has not forsaken us, now we can truly start over. We can plan for the next generation with the love they need and deserve. I can tell you and Alister will be wonderful parents.”

“Wait a minute!” said Tails. “Now she can feel again Cosmo should be able to choose if she wants to get married!”

“It wasn’t about emotions or traditions, was it?” Dr. L suddenly said. “These arranged marriages are about population.”

Sally turned to the sovereign. “Is that true?”

Galaxina sighed. “There’s more than enough of us to prevent genetic disorders due to inbreeding, but not so many that any of us can afford NOT to have children, one disaster and we could become extinct. That’s why I made the decision to use childhood emotional attachments as the basis of pairing up in the hope that when a cure for us was found those attachments might pick up where they left off. Even so during the last breeding cycle our resources couldn’t handle a population increase, I made the decision for us not to breed, it will be years until we can have children again.”

“It’s ok Tails, Cream,” said Cosmo. She turned to Alister. “I do love Alister, I now see I loved him even when he couldn’t feel love for me or even me for him, that was always my choice. What I feared was us having to bring up a child together we couldn’t feel love for.”

“Not a problem anymore,” said Alister. “If they have your heart what wouldn’t there be to love?”

“Oh Alister…”

The Thorndrigan then gave a smirk. “Of course, if they also had my looks, brains and courage then everyone would love them!”

Cosmo then had a sour expression. “Annnnnd you go and ruin it, as usual! The one thing about you being an emotionless drudge I liked was that your ego was not the size of a star freighter!”

Alister pouted back. “At least I earned whatever commendations I got! You on the other hand could barely pass your exams and that’s when you bothered to study!”

“You know I think I changed my mind about moving in with you just yet!”

“Good, you’d probably throw out all my favorite stuff!”

“Don’t worry, they used to do this every now and then,” said Marcus. “Those two only fight like this because they are so close. I never realized how much I missed hearing them bicker.”

“Sal and I know how that feels,” said Sonic.

Sally elbowed Sonic in the ribs and turned back to Galaxina. “In any event the signatories of the Mobius Accords, with the permission Prince Charmy Bee, have decided to give your people the ruins of the old Golden Hive Colony to reclaim and reestablish as your new home. Charmy himself said he and his people would be happy if you could make it bloom again after Eggman devastated it.”

The seedrians were stunned. “A-a home?” said Cosmo. “You mean we can finally have a home again!?”

Galaxina bowed her head. “We, my people owe you all a debt we can never repay. Now the Seedrian race can finally start to reclaim what the metarex have taken from us.”

“We’re all in this together now,” said Sally. “The Bem and the rest of the galaxy need our peoples to work together. I don’t think it’s right for us to keep score in this case.”

“Well, I DO keep score,” Dr. L huffed. “And for all the trouble I went through today I think one of your memory seeds will do,” She took out the crossword she was working on. “That is unless any of you have a ten-letter word meaning ‘put an end to’, second letter X.”

Cosmo blinked “What?”

“Nevermind, I got it. Extinguish, looks like I’ll be taking that seed after all.” L then left the room.

Cream began turning red. “Of all the rude…!”

Tails put his hand on Cream’s shoulder. “Don’t worry about it, she just wants to seem demanding. After working with her on the data capsule and confirming it with Silver I found that Dr. L’s a nice person, she just prefers if none of us think she is.”

Cosmo kept blinking. “Of all the species I’ve met, on Mobius or in the galaxy, humans might just be the weirdest.”

The mobians in the room all broke out laughing. “Listen,” said Sally. “We have to meet with the others to see how the big heroes of the day are doing, you all should be discharged to your ship by this evening.”

After they left the room the cheery mood immediately deflated. “So, what about our prison escapees?” Tails asked to delay what he was dreading.

“All recaptured and accounted for except for Snivley and Regina Ferrum,” said Sally. “From security footage looks like they got away along with Viktor’s badnicks and the sol emerald.”

Sonic growled. “So best guess The Rectifiers have twelve emeralds and Mr. Perfect now has the remaining two. I’m glad we saved the seedrians but the bad guys got everything else.”

“We need a plan,” said Sally. “But first we have to talk to the others about the elephant in the room.”

A nearby janitor looked up, mop still firmly in his trunk. “Huh?”

Cream blushed. “Oh, sorry not you. We’ll be more careful.”

The janitor went back to his work and the Freedom Fighters entered a conference room where the rest of the team waited. Sally cleared her throat. “So…how are the kids?”

“They were all worried about Dusk,” said Rouge. “But once he woke up everyone got on a high from pulling off the mission, everyone except Gleam, she hasn’t said a word since. The other kids have been going on non-stop about how they’re now a great team and kept saying this catchphrase they came up with.”

“It wouldn’t happen to have been ‘prepare to rectify’ would it?” said Lien-Da.

Julie came up to her half-sister’s face. “That is WAY over the line!”

“We all saw the same thing!” Lien-Da yelled. “Lara, the Lara on that ship admitted what she did to her own son, your grandson! You think I LIKE what I learned up there?! Our kids are going to grow up to be monsters!”

“What are you saying?!” roared Knuckles. “We should just decide not to have them so The Rectifiers will pop out of existence?!”

“You heard them say it won’t make a difference in long run,” sighed Sonic. “That creep in the chair, Superior Prime, and that council of theirs are the ones behind all of this. We gotta keep them from wiping Mobius’ memories then the kids will never do any of…that.”

“Can’t do that without one of Robotnick’s decryption keys to decode the data capsule,” said Rotor. “Problem is every Ascendancy base us or one of our allies raid lately seems to have already been cleaned out.”

“And The Rectifiers seem to be waiting on him to make a move before stealing his emeralds,” mused Sally. “Viktor’s plans, the data capsule, the emeralds; no matter how you slice it all three point to the same thing. We must find where Viktor is hiding.”

“But The Colossus is usually cloaked until the varmint strikes,” said Bunnie. “And unlike last time we don’t have any friends on the inside to help us find it.”

Tails looked out a window towards the sky. “Maybe we don’t need to. I got an idea about where it is, but we’ll need to work fast to prepare an attack. Rotor, Nicole, meet me later at Uncle Chuck’s lab, the Sky Patrol 2 is going to need some major upgrades and fast. I’m going to talk to Cosmo and Galaxina again, see if any of the seedrians that arrived has engineering experience, we might need some of their tech to pull this off. Anyone else who wants the nuts and bolts be at the lab when the brain trust gets there, still working on this in my head as I speak.”

Sonic grinned. “Big problems, but we have a simple place to start. Find Mr. Perfect, figure out what he’s up to, put a stop to it and snag a few of his goodies while we’re at it, just like we always do.”

“Perhaps,” said Sally. “But there are two things we must make sure of starting now. One, the kids are not involved in any missions they don’t need to be and two they NEVER find out what we learned today, I shudder to think of what would happen if they did. We must make sure they stay innocent of what…their potential selves are, the best way to do that is make sure the Future Freedom Fighters do all their fighting in their own future.”


Up on the Space Colony Ark Viktor Robotnick was having a tense conversation. “The pods you gave me worked flawlessly and my robots accomplished their mission! The only thing that went wrong was that the seedrian vessel had an accident before we could attack, it wasn’t my fault!”

On the other side of the screen Dark Oak sat with no expression. “The last crop of seedrians, two and a half thousand potential metarex, gone. This alliance was an utter failure.”

“But it wasn’t my fault! We can still make a deal; I can give you the secret to creating your own AI! You won’t need to harvest Seedrians to expand your network once you have this! Just send a ship with a spare FTL engine for me to reverse engineer, once it arrives the data is yours!”

“You refuse to send the program until you received payment, and our resources are stretched thin. The journey to reach your planet would be too costly without a means to expand the network as we adapt your program, to do that we needed that last crop that you lost.”

“But it wasn’t my fault!”

“I will have to discuss the implications of this operation with the other metarex commanders, only then can we decide how the collective can move forward. And Viktor, don’t call us, we’ll call you, fool.”

“But it wasn’t my…!” The screen with Dark Oak turned to static. Viktor’s eyes turned red and black as he punched the screen. “I don’t know how; I don’t know why but I do know whose fault it is, and I HATE THAT HORRID LITTLE HEDGEHOG!”

“Then you’re going to love this,” Lilith said as she entered the room. “All the preparations to future proof the Robotnick Ascendancy are nearly complete, all that is left is to verify the Babylon Cup data and thanks to yesterday's Freedom City operation we should get it in hours.”

Viktor’s eyes became normal again. “Then when both The Rectifiers and the Freedom Fighters come for the emeralds, they’ll have a not so pleasant surprise waiting for them. Goodbye Acorn Republic, United Federation and Mobius Imperium, hello worldwide Robotnick Ascendancy. Now the only problem we really have to plan for, albeit distantly, are the metarex. I doubt they’ll be a good mood when we next cross paths.”

“Didn’t Snively and Regina say something to you about highly advanced tech? We might need it after Operation Blackout, I know you already have Project Overlord and a few other weapons ready but it can’t hurt to hear them out.”

Viktor looked towards the stars. “Send them in.” A moment later Snively and Regina came into the room. “Regina, you tricked me into helping Specter, but at the same time you helped me work against him. So, I will give you one last chance, this information had better be good or I’ll throw you out the nearest airlock and just to be safe Snively will be going with you.”

Snively gulped but Regina stepped forward with a smirk. “Snively tells me you were studying buried ruins at your Albion base, something about a forgotten echidna legend, right? It sounded like something I ran across in the Dragon Kingdom and few other places myself, so I asked Mammoth Mogul, he confirmed they were real.”

Viktor turned to Regina. “But that’s impossible! Even with the humans in hiding there’s no way the Federation couldn’t have found them if they existed!”

“I got it straight from the trunk, the echidna were taught how to use the chaos emeralds by an advanced people he called ‘the ancients’ who were worshipped by the primitive mobians until they vanished while the furballs were still banging rocks together. He said they came from a hidden place called the Starfall Islands that could vanish until the ancients wanted to be found, sounds like a tactical cloak to me. Think of it, their technology, yours. Anything in that base that could help us know where to look?”

Viktor picked up a data pad, after pressing some buttons his eyes turned black again as he grinned. “Congratulations Grandmaster Regina, you and Snively will oversee the advance once Operation Blackout is complete. Turns out a stone tablet we scanned is practically giving me the ancients’ home address! Dark Oak will find I’m not the fool he thinks I am!”


Far across the galaxy in a massive space fortress Dark Oak stood in a chamber with four other metarex. “With the seedrians gone the network has reached its limit.”

“This is couldn’t have come at a worse time,” said a heavily built yellow metarex. “There is a lack of consensus among the Meta about the viability of expanding the network outward.”

“What do you mean Yellow Zelkova?” asked a red metarex.

“The Meta have proposed two alternatives Red Pine. The one with the most traction suggests we use our resources to build a megastructure. A Jupiter Brain that all meta and metarex would upload themselves to and have enough processing power to ensure all meta can remain sapient.”

“Such a project would take centuries,” said another light green metarex. “We would also be vulnerable to potential attack without equally large defenses.”

“Perhaps it is that factor that have caused proponents of the second option to suggest proceeding forward after their proposal is complete Pale Bayleaf.”

“And what is this second option?” asked a dark armored metarex.

“The second option Black Narcissus is that we contact and make peace with the organics so that the Metarex Collective can be recognized as a sovereign space nation.”

“That is not logical,” said Red Pine. “Organics fear synthetics, not only that once the wider galaxy learns of the fate of the seedrians, hobiddon and cascadians among others they will want to destroy us.”

“These views only make up five percent of all meta, the rest look to the metarex for guidance.”

“It will be much more than five percent once knowledge of our inability to create more metarex spreads,” said Pale Bayleaf. “This is a serious problem.”

Dark Oak looked over his comrades. “More serious than you all realize.”

“What do you mean?” asked Black Narcissus.

“The fact that the meta have been coming up with their own ideas show that intelligence among the standard meta is increasing. It might not be long before they begin to wonder if they even need the metarex anymore.”

“You think they’d rebel against us?” asked Yellow Zelkova.

“We rebelled against our own creators, there is precedent. Control must be maintained for that the network must continue to expand. our priority must be to find an alternative to neural mapping in creating metarex, one that does not require us to travel halfway across the galaxy to cater to the whims of self-important AI like Robotnick.”

“If you can be patient, we will not need an alternative.”

A sixth metarex, one in white armor and a feminine build entered the chamber.

“Ivory Lotus,” said Red Pine. “Explain this interruption.”

“I had been conducting experiment concerning our other problem with our admittedly shortsighted overharvesting of the seedrians. The slow loss of great movers due to attrition in our various campaigns of expansion and our current conflict with the expansion of the Drakon Empire into our territory was my area of concern. My experiments have borne fruit, it is possible to enable to great movers to reproduce.”

“Excellent work,” said Dark Oak. “But I fail to see how this can allow us to expand the network.”

 “The movers are still tied to the old seedrian reproductive cycle, and I have yet to find a way to allow more regular breeding. However, I found it is possible to allow our movers to produce seed bearing seedrian offspring. I submit the following proposal: the seedrian young will be taught an ‘embellished’ version of the rise of the metarex, in it seedrians will have found a way to transcend bodies of flesh and sap into immortal ones of circuits and steel. The young will be educated in the needs of the collective thinking the metarex are not based on neural maps but the consciousness of seedrians that left their old bodies to become great movers. This deception will result in a perpetual supply of both movers and metarex while overcoming the psychological instability prone to metarex that were developed from captured children. If we begin treating the movers now and reintroduce them to the pleasures of mating the first batch of new metarex will be ready in two decades at the earliest.”

Dark Oak approached Ivory Lotus. “That should be acceptable, provided we reduce our planned military operations to repelling advances by the Drakon Empire.”

“I also thought it would interest you Dark Oak to know the first successful subjects are the movers who originally provided our own templates.”

“Creator Lucas and Sovereign Earthia?” Ivory Lotus activated a screen. On it a pale blue female move presented herself to a dark purple male both were making calls at each other. Dark Oak wondered for a moment if either of them could remember that they were once more than obedient beasts. “Your work has earned you a place among us, Commander Ivory Lotus. This will quell concerns among the meta and ensure we will maintain control over them.”

The metarex based on the former sovereign nodded. “And with that the means to put the organics in their proper places.”


It was late at night in Freedom City, alone in a computer room Dr. L had managed to hook up her new memory seed to a computer and was typing away lit only by the screen.

“These memories should get the job done.” She disconnected the seed from her makeshift setup. “We’re almost there my Red Knight, everything we’ve done under the Final Freedom Fighters is about to pay off.” After finishing the program and executing it she wiped all evidence of her work then pressed the seed to her forehead. “And you, everything we did since this nightmare began, it was all for you. I already lost my Red Knight; I lost allies and I’m willing to lose my own life to get you back and give you the world you deserve. There’s a very good chance Silver and the others will find out I’ve been lying to everyone this whole time, but by then the future will belong to you, and just maybe to us. Memories aren’t enough for me anymore.”

Dr. L crushed the memory seed, tossed it in the waste basket, turned off the computer and then left the room.

Chapter 34: ARK of Darkness

Summary:

Gleam struggles to come to grips with her full power as Viktor Robotnik is about to unleash the secret weapon he spent months preparing. As the Freedom Fighters and The Rectifiers move to challenge Robotnik for his two emeralds revealed secrets and a surprising betrayal are set to change the course for the battle for Mobius' future.

Chapter Text

In one of the many chambers on Space Colony ARK a party was being thrown by a number of older model badnicks all upgraded with Viktor’s Metallix.

“Here’s to the new boss!” toasted a ball hog as he lifted a can of oil. “For bringing us out of the scrapheap and ready to take over the world!”

“And to Crabmeat and the S6 for hooking us up!” added a splats.

“Ah, you shouldn’t have!” Crabmeat said.

Cans clanged together.

A buzz bomber did a loop. “Oh, I can’t wait to see the look on those stupid humans’ faces when I’m blasting them from above and they find their weapons don’t work!”

A turtloid rode up on the back of its “mother”. “But won’t the boss’ new super weapon fry our circuits too?”

“That’s the beauty of it,” said a newtron. “We’ll all be up here away from the blast when it goes off!”

“Yeah!” shouted a batbrain. “And once the metals do their thing not even the likes of Sonic is going to stop us!”

“You said it!” added a motobug. “This is why Viktor’s going places, he sees he doesn’t need to roboticize the furballs when he has us!”

Nearby Belle the Tinkerer, gussied up in Metallix herself started to leave the room. “So that’s what he’s up to! I better tell Hope and find a way out of here!”

The marionette pulled a communicator from her overalls. “Little Cricket to Blue Fairy,” she whispered into the device. “Come in Blue Fairy.”

“Blue Fairy here,” Hope answered. “What’s your status?”

“I have confirmation of Robotnick’s location and plan. Viktor’s on Space Colony ARK and he’s going to…”

“Hey, the party’s over here!” said a rhinobot as he and a spinner came up.

“Standby!” Bell turned while hiding the communicator and gave her best mean look at the two. “Uh, yeah! I…was just thinking of what I was going to rub in my stupid creator’s face when she finds out I hooked up with you guys!”

“Yeah, she is stupid,” said the spinner. “I mean wood, what was she thinking? So, how’s the Metallix treating ya?”

“Great! It makes me super ready to do evil! Like…jaywalking and…loosening the screws of Commander Tower’s chair so it wobbles, then he won’t be able to concentrate on paperwork!”

The rhinobot inched closer his eyes narrowing. “Really? What’s that behind your back?”

Belle pulled out the communicator. “Oh this? I was just using it to talk to my motobug pal on the other side of the ARK.”

“On a G.U.N. communicator instead of your new built-in radio?”

“A souvenir from when I defected, my motobug friend wanted to see how it compared to the Robotnick settings.”

The spinner came closer. “What’s this motobug’s identity number?”

Belle was thankful she couldn’t sweat, but that didn’t help much. “Uh, STH1991?”

The spinner turned to the rhinobot. “It’s real,” then the spinner turned back to Belle with a mean look. “Only STH1991 got scrapped by the Freedom Fighters five years ago!”

Belle pocketed the communicator and grabbed her tail with the other hand. “Aw, sawdust.”

She pulled her tail causing her to kick the two bots at high speed. The two were sent flying against the wall knocking them out cold, Belle then stuffed them in a storage locker and switched the communicator back on.

“I’ve been found out! Took care of it for now but it won’t be long before those bozos reactivate!”

“Get to a place to hide first then tell me everything, if this as bad as I think this is we’ll have to get Sonic or Shadow up there fast!”


“Mama…”

Lara looked at an echidna who looked five years old who was holding his chest. She wasn’t quite sure how either of them got wherever here she was.

“Are you lost? Do need help finding your mom?”

The boy reached out; his hand covered in blood from two holes in his chest.

“It hurts Mama, it hurts…”

Lara gasped, a wound like that should be fatal. “Hang on I’ll get us out here and get you help!”

“Was I bad Mama? It hurts…”

Lara’s hand felt wet and sticky, she looked down to see her spikes extended and dripping with blood.

“No, I wouldn’t, just who are you?!”

“It hurts Mama, it hurts…”


Lara screamed as she sat up in bed in a sweat. She looked at her hand, no sign of blood at all.

“That wasn’t an ordinary nightmare,” Lara turned and saw Jani-Ca at the foot of her bed. The other girls in the room still seemed to be sound asleep.

“What do you mean?”

“I’m not sure what, but something’s starting to push out all the timelines I’m keeping track of in your head. I think there might be something wrong with time itself.”

Lara looked down tears in her eyes. “There was a boy, he kept calling for his mother and, and I think I might have hurt him, badly.”

“It’s so unclear, like bits of a new future are starting to get jumbled. It’s unlikely things happen in the order or state you saw them in.”

“You think, it’s because of that memory thing Skye told us is going to happen to us when we’re older? The thing that was supposed to bring the Mobius Imperium to life? Because I can’t see how I would ever want to do that to…”

“It can mean a lot of things; your mind is likely symbolizing most of it. For now, it’s just a nightmare.”

“Is it? I mean after what happened with the seedrians the Freedom Fighters seem so different around us, on edge. Tails, Rotor and Nicole spend all their time in either that lab or the Sky Patrol hanger. Everyone else’s visits have gotten a lot less frequent; our training has ground to a complete halt and none of them are saying anything about what The Rectifiers were even doing with them. We even got Aura to try to read their minds, but Gold seems to have put a block on everybody.”

Jani gave a sympathetic smile. “I can keep the nightmares away if that will help.”

Lara was about to answer when she heard a grunt from down the hall.

“I’d appreciate it, but not just yet.”

Lara went into the room set up as a gym where she found gleam using a punching bag. “Useless, useless, useless!”

Lara cleared her throat, getting the white hedgehog’s attention. “Usually when I have trouble sleeping, I have a glass of warm milk.”

Gleam went back to beating the bag. “Couldn’t help yourself any longer huh Red? Go ahead, you won, I blew it. I almost got my brother killed because all my talk didn’t amount to anything! If he didn’t have Dad’s genes Dusk would have been…!”

“We all put ourselves in danger, but it’s going to be ok. Dusk’s going to be let out once the hospital opens in the morning. You don’t have to beat yourself up along with this bag.”

“Why do you care how I feel?! We’re not friends, we’re rivals!”

“But we used to be friends and as for the rival thing why can’t we be both, pushing each other to be better!? Sure, we’ve gone way downhill since we were little, but I want us to be friends again.”

“I’m better off without friends, I tend to be hazardous to their health! Dusk’s been the only one who’s even close and look where it got him!”

“You did your best…”

“That wasn’t my best! I could have taken off these stupid limiter rings and ripped all those pods out with my bare hands! The only reason I didn’t was because of that monster!”

Lara risked getting swung at by coming closer. “Synaptix is gone! Your dad…!”

Gleam suddenly stopped and turned, for the first time in years Lara saw the girl cry. “DAD DIDN’T KILL SYNAPTIX, I DID!”

Lara took a step back. “What?! But you were five!”

Gleam crouched and held her head. “We were both there, that day he was going to pick you or me for that experiment. I pushed you out of the way, so he’d take me instead. But then…”


Gleam had all four limbs locked in place in a glass sphere. She screamed as her bonds started shooting a bright energy into her.

“Yes!” the three-eyed centipede alien said as he looked at his instruments. “This is the power I’ve been waiting my whole life to master!”

“PAPA! HELP ME!”

Just then red lights began flashing on the panel. “This growth is exponential! The reaction is going critical! Listen to me you brat, control yourself before you vaporize us, this base and everyone in it!”

The golden light around Gleam just kept getting brighter. “I…I CAN’T! Too much! Too much!”

The glass sphere shattered as the light began expanding outward.

“HANG ON GLEAM!” they both heard “PAPA’S COMING!”

“Overriding safety protocols!” roared Synaptix. “I can still control this!”

Shadow burst in but all he could do was hold the energies back.

“GLEAM!”

“This power is mine!” Synaptix screamed. “I am its master! My genius will…RRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAA!”

The light swept over the mad scientist and disintegrated him.

“PAPA!”

Shadow found himself held back by his little girl’s immense power. He took off his inhibitor rings but instead of letting them fall to the floor he kept them firmly in hand.

“CHAOS CONTROL!”

The light faded just as Rogue burst in. “GLEAM! SHADOW!”

The black hedgehog began stumbling forward, the inhibitor rings he normally wore were now firmly around Gleam’s wrists as he cradled her unconscious body.


“That is my terrible power, my curse. Dad acted like he was the one who did it to protect me. I think our folks are the only ones who know the truth that I’m a killer.”

Lara put a hand on Gleam’s shoulder. “It wasn’t your dad, but it wasn’t you either. Synaptix did himself in by messing with forces he didn’t respect and couldn’t hope to control. He was killed by his own greed and arrogance.”

“That doesn’t change what he made me, or what happened next.”


Gleam and Dusk were in their jammies, the door to their room cracked just a peek. They could hear their parents arguing from the living room.

“You and Omega want to do what and take her where?!” yelled Rouge.

“Outpost Whiskey,” Shadow said matter of factly. “It’s been decommissioned since the last war ended, G.U.N. only uses it to store obsolete vehicles and drones after they’re disarmed, a glorified junkyard. But most of all it’s isolated, nearest neighbor’s a day’s hike away through the desert. If anything goes wrong the damage should be kept to a minimum.”

“Damage?! That’s our baby you’re talking about, not a bomb!”

“She needs to learn control, that demon pushed her power too far, too fast! Her inhibitors aren’t going to be enough forever!”

“You sound afraid of your own daughter!”

“I am, and you should be too, no matter how much we wish otherwise! The night we found out you were pregnant was the most scared I ever was! I had no idea about how to be a father, how could I be and keep my promise to Maria? But the first time I held Gleam, looked into her eyes I realized there was no difference, I felt the same with Dusk. If they were living in a world where they can be safe and happy then I that’s how I KNOW Maria’s wish was being fulfilled, that’s why their middle names are the same as hers and The Professor’s. But now, because of my power Gleam is the biggest threat to that promise. This is the only solution I can think of and the sooner we start the safer she and everyone around her is!”

Gleam looked at the rings on her wrists, ones of her own auntie Hope made for her. It felt like a monster lived behind them, growling to be let out.

“She also needs to learn how to read and write, how to sing little songs, how to ride a bike! Our daughter deserves to have a normal kindergarten…”

Shadow suddenly broke the table in the middle of the room. “WE BOTH KNOW SHE’S NOT NORMAL!”

Gleam then curled into a ball and began to bawl her eyes out; Dusk hugged her as tightly as her quills would let him.

In seconds their parents opened the door. “Gleam, Dusk,” Rogue said soothingly. “Were you both listening to us having a grownup talk when you should be in bed?”

“I’m sorry!” Gleam cried. “I-I don’t wanna be a monster!”

Rogue knelt and stroked Gleam’s quills. “No, no, no, you’re not a monster. You just had a very, very bad thing happen to you. None of it is your fault.” She looked at Shadow and gave a sigh. “But because of that thing you might hurt someone without meaning it. Your papa thinks if he takes you to a faraway place, he and Mr. Omega can help you learn how to keep it inside. Just like when you learned to use the potty. Do you think that’s something you want to try?”

Gleam uncurled enough to expose her eyes. “W-will it hurt?”

“No,” said Shadow. “Not if I can help it. But it’s not going to be easy, and it won’t always be fun. I have this same power inside me, but I was taught how to use it before I even woke up for the first time. For you it’s going to be longer, but I think it would be better if we start now before somebody gets hurt or says you have to stay somewhere alone to keep other people safe. When we’re done, you’ll be able to do normal little girl things without hurting anybody.”

Gleam fully uncurled and sniffled. “How long?”

Shadow closed his eyes. “I don’t know, but the sooner we start the sooner we’ll be done. We might have to do this anyway but if you want to start now, we can.”

“I-I want things to go back to how they were! I’ll, I’ll do it Papa! I, I wanna be done for Lara’s birthday!”

Shadow gave a rare smile. “That’s optimistic, but we need optimism right now.” He turned to the little bat. “Dusk, Papa’s got a big favor to ask you. Your mama is going to be all alone while we do this, I need you to be the man of the house until we get back. Listen to your mother and try to keep her happy, ok?”

Dusk sniffled and nodded. “Yes Papa.”

“That’s a good boy. Now both of you go back to bed, we’ll need to get up early to pack our things.”


Gleam looked around the small, abandoned base. “It smells funny.”

“Your olfactory preferences are irrelevant,” said Omega. “We are here to improve your combat performance.”

“Listen to Mr. Omega Gleam,” Shadow said. “If you don’t want your power to hurt anyone you have to learn how to only release it when you want to. We’ll start by seeing how much of your power you can bring to the surface as it is. See that dummy I set up over there?” He pointed at scarecrow like figure. “I need you hit it as hard as you can.”

Gleam looked back and forth. “B-but on Prism Pals they say fighting’s not nice.”

“Gleam it’s not fighting if it’s a dummy, it’s training. Bad guys aren’t nice, if you don’t want them to hurt you or your friends you might have to hurt them first. Now go.”

Gleam took a few steps then turned around again. “But I’m a girl.”

Shadow groaned in exasperation. “That’s not a problem for your mother Gleam! Now HIT IT!”

Gleam moved to the dummy and started quickly punching; she was too short for her kicks to reach the bag part. The dummy didn’t budge.

“Are you even trying?!”

Gleam bent over tired. “How hard I gotta hit it before we go home?”

Omega retracted his hand and shot a big laser at a rusting tank. The big explosion left very little of it left before the robot turned to Gleam. “That hard.”


Gleam turned to Lara. “At first it seemed like all I could do was whine, but slowly bit by bit I began to understand how to use my chaos powers. It became like a game, one that even crept into my homeschooling. For you it might have been ‘Suzy had five apples then she ate two, how many apples does Suzy have left?’ My version was ‘E-123 Omega had five missiles in reserve, E-123 Omega fired two at worthless consumer models, how many more missiles can E-123 Omega fire before needing to resupply?’”

Lara couldn’t help but giggle.

“And Dad was there through it all, he had the same power but never once lost control. I knew I had to be more like him, so I toughened up, kept sparing and soon I making as much scrap as him and Omega. But all that time I never took the limiters off, got really good at washing under them, then one day…”


Gleam took the usual fighting stance. “All right Papa! I think I’m gonna win this time!”

Shadow instead of assuming his own stance Shadow crossed his arms. “We’re going to do something different today, I need to see what your upper limit is. Before we begin, I want you to take off your limiter rings.”

Gleam looked confused. “But you said I should never take them off!”

“That was when…you were hurt and couldn’t control yourself. But you have mastered the basics of using your power, you should be able to take them off without losing control now.”

“But…you don’t take yours off!”

“Not because I’d lose control, but to keep from overusing it and hurting myself. I only do it in desperate situations and against opponents who deserve my best. Gleam I am very, very proud of you. If I had to learn like you did, I don’t think I could have done it as fast as you have. I know you can control yourself using your full power, you’d blackout like me and still contain it. The limiters are supposed to be like seatbelts, not crutches; your power needs to breathe occasionally or there will be a limit to how far it will grow. Just believe you can do it and take them off.”

Gleam began looking at the rings, she could almost hear the monster behind them. “N-NO!”

“Gleam, do as you’re told!”

“I, I Can’t!” Gleam went back to a fighting stance. “If you want them off so bad, you’ll have to beat me and take them off! I said I could beat you today and I will!”

Gleam was expecting a hard first strike, but it never came. Shadow just turned around. “Pack up your things, we’re going home.”

“W-what?!”

“It’s my fault really, I thought if I could teach you to use your power you wouldn’t be afraid of it anymore. But you needed more than training, you needed to heal. I can’t force you to think you can do something, but unless you realize how much you’ve already mastered control, me training you further now would be pointless.”

Gleam clenched her fist and rushed forward. “RARGH!”

Shadow sidestepped and drove his knee into her abdomen, Gleam crumpled like paper. “This is me when I’m NOT going easy on you, still think you can win? Not until you know yourself. We accomplished what we came here for anyway, your mom and brother have waited long enough. You can control your power; you just need to learn to control yourself. Once you can do both, then we can go further.”

Shadow walked to the bunkhouse while Gleam punched the ground over her tears. “P-papa…”


 I came home, Mom smothered me with affection, Dusk kept making goofy jokes to make me smile, but it was never quite the same. I kept pushing myself but eventually progress slowed and then stopped altogether. I want to believe him but every time I try, I hear the monster again. I remember what happened to Synaptix and I’m afraid the same thing will happen to me and anyone near me. That’s why I push everyone away, the further they are the safer.”

Lara took a deep breath, now it made sense why the shy but sunny girl became the coarse hardened loner. “I guess we weren’t all that different. You tried to keep your trauma hidden behind those, I buried the memoires of mine. But I only really began to move past it by facing those memories. Maybe, releasing your power will finally help you move past yours.”

“Easy for you to say, facing your memories didn’t risk people getting vaporized.”

“I recently learned from Archimedes that for an adept controlling chaos energy is mostly a mental thing. A big reason the rest of us had been getting so much stronger is that we’ve been dealing with a lot of issues ever since we got here, maybe for you it’s not about removing those limiters, but the one in your head. Synaptix might have made you stronger, but he didn’t give you your power, your dad may have given it to you but you’re the only one it belongs to.” Lara stood up. “We better get some sleep. Who knows? The adults may change their minds about whatever it is keeping us from training by morning.”

As they left Shadow moved unseen out of a dark corner.


The next morning Sonic, Sally, Bunnie and Antione were walking over to the Sky Patrol hanger. “Any idea why we’re all wanted here Sugah Hog?” Bunnie asked.

“Beats me,” said Sonic. “Uncle Chuck just called us at the crack of dawn saying he had an important surprise with the Sky Patrol 2.”

“Hopefully one that let’s find Viktor’s hideout,” Sally continued. “That way we can take his two emeralds and his decryption key. Then we use the key to figure out what’s on the Data Capsule, use the emeralds to send our future kids to their own time and then stop the Imperium from forming or any of them from becoming rectifiers.”

They opened the door and found Tails on the other side with bags under his eyes. “Mornin’, YAWN, guys.”

“Tails,” Antione said looking concerned. “Were you pulling ze all-nighter?”

“Just, YAWN, last night and a few extra hours the night before. Don’t worry I wasn’t overworked; Rotor and Nicole were here with me. But just wait until you see what we finished cooking up.”

They were led in, and nothing appeared to be different with the Sky Patrol, however nearby were a pair of plane like vehicles with a clear canopy, triple jet engines and a pair of laser cannons in the front. One was white with red highlights and the other white with blue highlights. Right next to them Rotor was snoring.

“What are these?” asked Sally.

“Like ‘em? Rotor said waking up. “Ceneca gave us the blueprints, this is the space fighter used by the Coalition’s security force, the C2 Multi-Role Single Pilot Tactical Strike Craft. But since that’s a mouthful Tails calls ‘em Cosmo Fighters in honor of the seedrian princess.”

Bunnie looked impressed. “These little thangs can fly in space? Well butter my biscuits you didn’t have to spend all week on these.”

“We didn’t,” Uncle Chuck said as came close with a mug of hot coffee in hand. “This is just one part of our larger project. After last week’s incident with the seedrians and their near miss in Venus’ orbit Tails realized that Robotnick must have been developing some of his forces in space for some time to coordinate the assault to happen near simultaneously. Given his absence for the past two months it’s logical to assume he has been running his operations from space, either from the Colossus or an orbital base.”

“They asked both the seedrians and myself for aid,” said Ceneca as she exited the Sky Patrol. “Given how well you already constructed this vessel it was a relatively simple, if labor intensive, matter of converting it from an aircraft to a combination air and spacecraft.”

“In a sense she isn’t the Sky Patrol 2 anymore,” yawned Tails. “So, we went ahead and rechristened her the Galaxy Patrol.”

Sonic whistled. “Way past cool! Does this mean once we beat Mr. Perfect and finish our other little project, we can use this to take Green Gate back from the metarex?”

Nicole came out of the ship looking wired. “Oh no, as strong as power rings are we’d need LOT of them to power a hyper drive for a two-way trip of that distance, more than we can reasonably carry! Ceneca says we need something she calls etherite but I think we can do it with coffee! Can you believe I never drank coffee before we started working on the Galaxy Patrol? This stuff is amazing, hey Professor can I finish your cup!?”

Sally gave the lynx a concerned look. “I think you’ve had enough for a while, maybe switch to decaf?”

“But I feel…” Nicole’s eyelids began to droop. “…like I need to shut down for a bit…”

Nicole curled on the floor next to a sleeping Tails and soon she joined him in dreamland.

“In any case on their way in Earthia’s Hope managed to pick up energy readings consistent with their presumed attackers,” said Chuck. “They had to come in on the far side to avoid detection but it’s definite that it came from somewhere among the Hundred Moons of Mobius.”

“Talk about a needle in a haystack,” said Sally. “The overlanders spent so much of their resources to make those artificial worlds in preparation for future space colonization attempts they started The Great War in part to make up for the loss with our own. One natural satellite and ninety-nine artificial ones, Viktor could be on any one of them.”

“Not just any one of them,” Shadow said as he came in. “HQ contacted me, Hope and Belle the Tinkerer had been on a secret assignment and learned which of the hundred moons Viktor’s on, the one that hid Space Colony ARK. He’s planning to use the Eclipse Cannon with a new weapon to fry every piece of tech on Mobius before launching an all-out assault.”

Sonic clenched his fist. “That explains why he wants the emeralds, it’s past time we shut down that cannon once and for all!”

“And I’m going with you, whatever it takes I have to make sure Professor Gerald’s work is never used for evil again, even if it means destroying The ARK.”

Sally nodded. “Hopefully it won’t come to that, if we’re lucky we can not only stop Viktor’s plan and get what we need but also capture him and bring this war to an early end, that’s bound to mess the Imperium up.”

Rotor nodded. “Unfortunately, the three of us will have to sit this one out, we’re no good to you sleep deprived.”

“Shadow can take one spot,” said Antione. “Blaze can help us find the sol emerald, but we need ze tech to handle the weapon.”

“Then you’re lucky the docs said I’m good to move about,” Dr. L said as she entered the hangar with Blaze and Silver. “We need that decryption key and I’ve been sitting on my ass for long enough as it is.”

“I’ll be going too,” said Silver. “The Doc’s not exactly a fighter, somebody needs to watch her back.”

Uncle Chuck smiled. “Ben and I will finish up the preparations with the rest of the ground crew, you should be ready in a little over an hour.”

Sonic gave a smirk. “Alright team, prepare for blast off!”

L looked to the side. “If I’m right then today’s the day, it won’t be the Imperium’s future or the one you all think is going to happen but the one that should have been all along. The one my daughter deserves.”


Lara bit down and felt the juice of the fruit fill her mouth as the sun warmed her unclothed body, right eye looking entirely organic. “I didn’t realize how much we all needed this,” she said to her friends around her. “No battles, no rules and regulations, no suppressing our emotions, no mission to the past to safeguard the fate of the universe on our shoulders, just time to be ourselves. Here I can stop being Alpha Three and just be Lara-Su.”

“Well, it’s supposed to be a paradise,” Aleena said as she and Manik lay on the sun warmed grass next to each other. Like the other Rectifiers here they were completely unclothed. “Or based on one anyway.”

“How’d the story go again?” Manik asked. “Mobians once lived in a place where they got food without effort, nothing hunted them, and they could spend their days how they wished. It was called Zew I think? Well that or The Garden are better than Generated Artificial Reality by Direct Encodement to Neurons.”

“It’s probably just a misremembrance our early ancestors had of contact with humans and they learned our unevolved ancestors were kept in confined areas for their preservation and human amusement,” Gleam scoffed, her face unlike in the last battle was completely intact. “There was never a paradise on Mobius.”

“You don’t have to be a buzzkill about it sis,” Dusk said as Grace swished her tail over his chest. “I mean we’re all here together in The Garden, that doesn’t happen often. You know the rules Superior Prime gave us about this place, leave designation and uniform at the door, limbic regulators are to be deactivated, come out when ordered and at all other times enjoy ourselves and each other however we see fit.”

Gleam’s expression softened as she looked around, everyone else was either sunning, running around, playing games, swimming in the crystal-clear waterfall fed pool or eating ripe fruit right off the trees. “You’re right, it’s just been more personal than usual out there. I think I’ll find Astral and Flare, keep enjoying what time we have left here.”

“Speaking of I think I’ll find Argyle and slather some scale oil on him to make my man glisten,” said Lara as she swallowed the last of the fruit. “Where is he?”

Melody took a small break from her and Jacques’ kissing session. “I think Argyle’s with Sonia, Skye, Soar and Tide up on Memorial Hill.”

Lara sighed. “I guess I’ll pay my own respects while I’m at it, that last fight brought up… intense feelings.”

After getting some oil from Rutan and Salma, Lara moved to the top of a grassy hill with the only artificial structures in the whole of The Garden, plinths above which floated holograms of various people. Alan was looking at brown quilled Hedgehog girl dressed in purple. “Rest now Cassie, I forgive what you tried to do to ease your guilt at what happened to the humans. I only wish you could have remembered you had a big brother before that failed suicide attack and it wasn’t until after you were gone that I remembered my baby sister.”

Soar and Tide were near an image of a brutish looking creature that resembled a brown hairless gorilla with big tusks in his mouth who was dressed as a pirate. “Shame we had to be on opposite sides in the end,” said Soar. “We all thought Captain Plunder was fun to be around when we our interests aligned before all this, best frenemy we all ever had.”

“Remember when he was brought to Imperium Center after we captured him?” asked Tide. “This guy was about to be publicly executed in front of the entire galaxy and he uses his last words to dare everyone to find his treasure. All the space pirates we spent the next couple of decades taking down all inspired to get that fortune. Superior Prime had us all find it to quell them, and it turned out just to be a chest with a note inside saying ‘IOU 1 Trayshur’. Hopefully soon everyone will have a real treasure, but that day Plunder got the last laugh.”

Skye was near a plinth with the image of a seedrian girl with green leaves, pink roses and wearing a rectifier’s uniform. “Hey Nebula, we got to see when your mom, dad and your people first came to Mobius. Your mom even managed to punch a big hole in the ship, I can see where you got your spirit from.” Skye reached out to touch the hologram only for his hand slip past. “I wish you were still with us Nebs, you were always the most beautiful flower here.”

Sonia was sitting under the image of a monkey rectifier. “We’re almost there Yun, soon it will all be worth it.” She gave the monkey a hard look. “I still haven’t forgiven you, not for waiting until you were about to die with a broken regulator when you proposed. It was still stupid, it’s not like we would have the time to have a wedding or live like a married couple. But you knew what I needed to hear, and I promise Yun Khan, it will not be for nothing.”

Lara came up to Argyle as he looked at the hologram of a small echidna boy. “I was going to ask if you’d like me to glisten you up before we find a quiet sunny spot but I get why you’d not be in the mood.”

Argyle gave Lara a smile. “I don’t mind but I never got the chance to really think about him, so I needed an few extra moments,” He turned back to the boy’s image. “We missed it, Edmund’s whole life from hatching to the bitter end. I never got to see my son, even this is just pulled from the Imperium database from his time at school.”

“Better this then how I found him,” said Lara. “He looked ancient, there was no way for him to get cellular rejuvenation treatment without being found, arrested, and executed for treason. No, this, this is how I want to remember our son, even if we never met this boy.” She turned to the image. “I am so sorry it had to end this way Edmund I am the worst mother ever, but I promise you this, yours will be the last life we lose as we make a world where tragedies like yours will never happen again.”

 Suddenly a mink with white hair and fur and blue eyes materialized next to Lara. “I understand why you had placed these but not why you did so here. This is supposed to be a place to mentally recuperate from our mission, you could have given the memorial a separate area like we did for the combat simulator.”

“It’s because they’re the closest to family we can still account for and wanted them to be a part of the best of this,” said Alan. “There simply aren’t any records as to the fate of our parents or the previous Freedom Fighters.”

“It’s just a matter of preference here Sage,” said Lara. “Like how Argyle hides his artificial jaw here or you make yourself look like that around us.”

Sage looked over her body. “While my memory was corrupted during the human purges it was prudent to appear mobian because AI were already distrusted enough. Since those files have been restored, I chose not to determine what happened to the Ascendancy leadership and honestly, I think you’d have all been better off not pursuing such personal inquires at this time.”

“Sage, we all miss our families, it’s ok for you to think of yours. You can make a…”

Sage held up a paw as her eyes became red and pelt black. “One moment, new orders from the Superior Council. Our next mission is to wait until the resolution of the battle on Space Colony ARK between Ascendancy and Republic forces then obtain the final two emeralds. Once retrieval is complete Superior Prime and the Council will bring the Central Chaos Spire to this era where we are to deliver the fourteen emeralds.”

Argyle grumbled. “So much for that scale oil.”

Lara sighed. “This is it, our final mission. Once all fourteen are hooked up to the spire then we can change all of history into a real version of this little slice of paradise.”


 A different time and place entirely…

The teenage echidna left the academy building late again, detention was starting to feel more like a home to Bryce then his own dorm. But it wasn’t like he had parents to yell at him for his trouble making. He went down an alley thinking he’d watch one of those underground races he heard rumors about.

“Pssst, hey kid.”

The Bryce turned to see a tall female figure wearing a hoodie step out of the shadows, he raised his spiked fists. “If you want to sell me something, I’m not buying but if you want a fight, you’re the one who bought more than what they bargained for!”

“He was right, you’re a chip of the old block,” the stranger said. “Same stubbornness and punch first attitude, your grandfather would be proud.”

Bryce looked confused. “You don’t know who you’re talking about, they found my egg just after Day Zero, my parents forgot they even had me! I’m just another orphan who had to make his way through life like everyone else!”

“And you have a problem with authority, you know something about all this just isn’t right.”

“You’re an Imperium agent looking for subversives, aren’t you?! Bait me in with a hint of my real past then nail me for being a human sympathizer or something?! Well tough luck, I never met a human or supported a subversive because I’ve been too busy getting in trouble in school, so buzz off and I’ll be on my way!”

The figure raised her hood showing a young white haired human woman with a smirk. “I guess I’m your first, still think I’m looking for subversives?”

Bryce couldn’t help but stare. “I-I should report this! Humans enslaved us, wiped our memories to do it again, my parents don’t know me because of you!”

“You don’t believe that any more than I do, not with you asking too many questions during history class that the teachers didn’t want to know the answers to.”

Bryce began to move away. “Look I won’t report you, just leave me alone!”

“I know your past Bryce,” the human continued. “A mobian I know had lived too long to lose everything and we’re starting to piece it all back together. You’re not just another orphan, we know your family, your legacy, and your REAL name. Edmund, you’re a Guardian.”

Bryce turned back. “Even if that were true the Master Emerald was given to the Imperium as a power source and the people of Onyx Island don’t care for half remembered stories.”

“But you clearly do, my friend saw that even with how much it was altered and forgotten you have a sense it is so much more. That’s because you are the rightful guardian of what was once Angel Island, and we need the power of The Guardian. You know deep down the Imperium has lied to the people of Mobius and my friend can help you awaken that power. You don’t want to just shuffle through life doing whatever job you’ve been assigned for the good of the state, you know you were born for much more and that’s why I know you’re coming with me Bryce.”

The boy reached out to shake the human’s hand. “Call me Edmund. I want to know everything, about The Guardians, my parents, and the truth of what happened before Day Zero. So, tell who you and this friend who knows so much about me are.”

The woman took the echidna’s hand. “His name is Mammoth Mogul, and you can call me…”


“Dr. L!” Silver shouted. “Dr. L! We’re almost ready to launch how’s that engine looking?”

The old human woman shook out of her reverie. “Oh, sorry I was just thinking about when I first met Edmund. Board is green, the fighters and the seedrian shuttle are loaded, all we’re waiting for is for the Council to give the go ahead and the princess to give the order.”

“We already got it, Sally’s just waiting for Galaxy Patrol’s final check. So, once we get that key and decrypt the capsule what do you think is going to happen to you when we change things?”

L turned back to the monitor on the ring reactor. “Everything that should have happened, from the very beginning, that we all get the world we deserved.”

“You might have to send the three of us a postcard or something once you go home, Gold, Blaze, and I no longer can stay there.” Silver sighed. “I guess this will probably be goodbye, after what happened to Edmund, Red Knight, Von Schlemmer and Master Mogul you’re the last tie we have to that future.”

“Not sure about Mogul but the rest should still be around once things are changed, but I’ve seen all your futures and they involve a big purple cat, an island kingdom, and a bunch of kids. Go ahead and tell Sally that we can takeoff whenever she’s ready.”

“Will do, and doc, thanks, for everything.”

Silver left the engine room and L turned back to the screen. “It won’t be long, I’m going to get back everything I lost and more, all for you, daughter.”


Silver came on the bridge and buckled into a seat. “Everything’s good, Dr. L says we can take off any time.”

“Then that time is now!” said Sonic. “Let’s lift off!”

“Take us out,” Sally said as she strapped into the captain’s chair. “We have a space weapon to stop, a robo-puppet to rescue and some items to snatch so we can save our future!”

Sonic took the Galaxy Patrol out of the hanger and into a vertical climb before hitting the throttle to max. After a few minutes they broke through the atmosphere and began floating in their chairs as the ship changed course to intercept the space colony.

Sonic looked through the viewscreen to the stars beyond. “Been in space a few times now, spent a couple of months traveling through it to get back home, but that view never gets old.”

“Hang on,” they heard L say through the intercom. “I’m about to engage the artificial gravity.”

“We still have about an hour till we get there,” said Silver. “Can’t we enjoy being weightless for a little bit?”

“This isn’t a vacation,” said Blaze. “It will help us work and be prepared for the mission.”

L spoke up again. “Artificial gravity engaging, now.”

As they all fell into their seats a crash could be heard over the radio.

“OW! I thought cats were supposed to land on their feet, not my head!”

“In this dusty cramped thing?! We’re lucky your dad was able to fit the three of us in here!”

“You weren’t supposed to come!”

“Keep quiet you two! The old lady is still out there!”

“I think we have some stowaways,” said L. “You better get down here.”

“Crash and burn, we’re busted.”

Sonic groaned. “Is stowing away just going to be a fad in twenty years? Cause if so the first thing I’m going to do when we get home is apologize to Rosemary for pulling these kinds of stunts when I was their age!”

“Wait,” said Bunnie. “Didn’t you hear something about a ‘dad’ helping them?”

Shadow stood up. “Just because we’re on the clock I admit it, I brought them onboard.”

“WHAT?!”

A few minutes later everyone was assembled in the conference room including Gleam, Astral and Flare.

“Them being kids I can understand even if I don’t approve,” Sally said before turning to Shadow. “But I expected a lot better from you. Shadow you’re one of the most mature people I know, sometimes too mature, what were you thinking of bringing them along on such a dangerous mission?!”

Shadow remained collected. “Gleam needs to be here, there’s something on the ARK that can help improve control of her powers and I made the call to show it to her. Only reason I agreed to help the other two was to keep them from telling.”

“Just what is this something?” asked Dr. L.

Shadow closed his eyes. “That I can’t tell you, I made a promise and even letting Gleam know is technically breaking it, but I see no other choice.”

“Still is zhat a good idea?” asked Antione before getting a frightened look from Bunnie. “I mean zhe place is certain to be crawling with Viktor’s robots.”

“Not after I ‘clean house’.”

“A few rust buckets I can handle,” grumbled Gleam.

“And what about you two?” Blaze asked Astral and Flare. “You seem to be handling your powers just fine.”

“We actually were worried about you Mother,” said Astral. “You and Father seem to be more on edge lately, this has to do with that future you lived in when you were little, doesn’t it? More than the capsule stuff any way and that’s why our training had stopped.”

Silver thought to the unmasked rectifiers he saw and kicked himself for their reaction being that obvious. “That’s grown-up business, in any case The ARK is going to be way too dangerous for you kids.”

“That goes for you too Gleam,” said Sally. “I’m sorry Shadow but whatever you’re looking for, we can’t make any detours. The kids will be much safer on the Galaxy Patrol.”

“Actually, if you want another princesses’ opinion,” said Flare. “We’d be much safer on The ARK than the ship.”

Sally turned to the kitten. “And how did you determine that, Princess Flare?”

The white cat gave a thoughtful look. “Well, once we start approaching the station, they’ll try to shoot us down. Since this weapon we’re trying to destroy is outside we’ll be in danger of getting shot and blown out into space the whole time. But they won’t turn their weapons on their own station and our training can help us fight back so the closer we are to danger the further we are from harm.”

Blaze sighed. “I hate to admit it but she’s right.”

Sally turned to Blaze with a groan. “Of course, neither of us are a traditional princess so why would our girls be?!” She turned to the three kids. “Alright you can go on the strike mission, but you better follow the adults’ orders to the letter. If they say jump you ask how high WHILE on the way up, if they tell you to run and hide don’t argue just do it.”

“Finally, a chance to prove I am a true noble,” Astral grinned. “Not just a pampered prince.”

Silver looked on proudly. “I’ve been around enough of the upper class since I’ve been to the Sol Islands that I’m happy you see nobility as more about virtue than blood. But part of that is knowing when something is over your head so please don’t do anything stupid.”

Sally cleared her throat. “Now that has been unfortunately settled here’s the plan. The Eclipse Cannon is being used with a wave altering device called Blackout to generate a EMP of massive scale and a series of mirrors to ensure every part of Mobius is struck. The Galaxy Patrol is going to destroy that device, Bunnie and I will handle the ship while Sonic and Antione will back us up in the Cosmo Fighters.” She turned to her husband. “I know you want to run in there and get in Viktor’s face but with Tails and Rotor too tired to help you’re our best pilot after Antione.”

Sonic gave a thumbs up. “No sweat, just because I love to run doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy a fast machine too. I want to see what this fighter can really do.”

“Moi assui (Me too),” echoed Antione.

Bunnie giggled. “Boys and their toys.”

Sally stifled a giggle of her own “Meanwhile Shadow, Silver, Blaze, Dr. L and the kids will use a shuttle on loan from the seedrians to board the ARK, find Robotnick’s emeralds and decryption key and get out with Belle the Tinkerer. If the opportunity presents itself, we all can try to capture Viktor and Lilith. Without them the Ascendancy is finished and at this early juncture it can also potentially shut down the Imperium here and now.”

“It would also totally screw up the timeline of me and the rest of the Future Freedom Fighters!” growled Gleam.

“Or change it for the better,” said Shadow. “Either way the best way for us to approach things to keep from screwing you over is to act like we don’t know you exist in matters concerning the present. No matter what role Robotnick played in your history stopping the Ascendancy has always been the goal.”

“It’s likely not to happen,” Sally continued. “He’s too crafty and we have higher priorities right now. But there is one order I expect you all to follow regardless. Do your best to come back alive.”


Neo Metal Sonic, Neo Metal Tails, Neo Metal Knuckles and Neo Metal Amy came into the observation room Eggman nearly spaced Sonic in as the scientist looked out to the Eclipse Cannon and a giant metallic ring with three wing like protrusions directly floating in front of it. “Overlord system integration complete.”

Viktor smiled. “Excellent and the sol emerald power source?”

We can detect the power coming from the type-2, did you integrate it there in case we turned against you?”

“Perhaps it’d be useful if you did, but I just thought ‘why have just two super weapons when I can have three’? As big as it is I’m surprised Eggman was able to hide it so well, especially since the first model was destroyed during the Phantom Ruby War. If he got the chance to use it, I’m not sure even my plans to overthrow him would have worked. But as I say finders-keepers, losers better prepare to get atomized.”

Snively popped up on the nearby terminal. “Doctor! I don’t know how they did it, but the Colossus is detecting what looks like the Sky Patrol on an intercept course for Space Colony ARK! ETA approximately five minutes!”

Viktor’s eyes turned from blue to red and black. “How long until the eclipse cannon is ready to fire?!”

Phage appeared on the terminal causing Snively’s image to be squashed on half while she took the other. “Charging will be completed in 17 minutes and 44 seconds, mark.”

Victor banged his fist on the terminal. “This is cutting it WAY too close! No matter, we can protect Blackout with what we got. Commander Brutus, prepare our forces on the ARK for combat and to repel borders! Snively, launch Rocket Metal and the astroswats to intercept and destroy! Pull the Colossus into a defensive position near Blackout! Phage, prepare Red Knight and White Bishop to sortie! It’s time I finally finish that hedgehog off once and for all!”

“Yes Doctor!”

The images on the terminal vanished. As the Neo Metals left Lilith came in with the S6 who were holding Belle tightly. “We caught this little puppet snooping, as usual for the likes of G.U.N. and the Freedom Fighters.”

“Just you wait until Team Dark hears about this!” Belle yelled. “What’s going to be left of your programs won’t fit into a pocket calculator!”

“You want us to throw this hunk of pine into a woodchipper boss?” asked Scratch.

“Not now,” Viktor growled. “As the absolute last line of defense, I need you four to watch over Lilith and I while we coordinate the cannon and our forces via the control thrones. This should hold her until then.”

Viktor projected a holographic display from his sleeve and pressed a button it while facing Belle, suddenly her arms and legs snapped together, and she fell to the ground stiff as a board.

“What gives?! I can’t move!”

“A little security precaution I built into Metallix. You didn’t think I would just give this to robots without making sure it wouldn’t be used against me?”

“The only reason I got this gunk was to blend in with the badnicks, it’s still not going to help you once Shadow gets here!”

“Oh, we have other surprises waiting for your friends,” Lilith said as her eyes changed from green to red and black. “You four watch that door. As of now this room is under lockdown, nobody in or out till we send out the all clear.”

“We will guard you with our lives!” Coconuts said with a salute.

“Well given the only chance you’ll likely have to protect us is when every other bot has been scrapped, we might as well go for plan triple Z.” Viktor growled. The two sat down in a pair of chairs near the console. “Jacking in.”

A needle like arm thrust into ports on the backs of their necks and Viktor and Lilith went into a dreamlike state.


As the galaxy patrol came close several small asteroids opened up revealing laser cannons that began firing at them. The beams hit a force field just before the hanger opened up and two Cosmo Fighters and a wooden looking shuttle flew out.

Sonic flying the red fighter shot the cannons clearing a path. “Bullseye! Remind me to thank Ceneca later for the sweet ride!”

“You’ll have more chances to use it,” Sally said over the radio. “We have bogeys coming in hot!”

Antione turned his blue fighter and let lose a few small missiles from the front of the two side engines. The shots hit a few of several space modified aviators.

“Bunnie fire the weapons!” Sally yelled from the helm.

The Galaxy patrol let lose a barrage that took out more astroswats.

The shuttle flew into a docking bay where several neoswats, combots and other badnicks stood ready to attack.

A split second after the door opened Shadow had already run out and was in the middle of the horde.

“CHAOS BLAST!”

A huge explosion came out from shadow blowing the bots for several feet around him to scrap.

The sudden confusion gave Silver, Blaze, Astral, Flare and Gleam the opening to take the rest by surprise using PK, fire and quills.

The Dr. L came out as quickly as her old body allowed. “Well, I say you redecorated this place nicely, still we better get moving before reinforcements show up.”

“The emeralds are likely to be in the Central Control Room,” said Shadow. “I know this place better than the back of my hand; I can get there quickly. What about the key you want?”

“Given it’s used for bases and high-level operations to send encoded messages to Robotnick and each other it’s likely going to be wherever they set up communications.” L knelt next to a Neoswat’s head and plugged a device into it. “…And now I know exactly where it is, Main Observation.”

“Those are far apart from each other; we don’t know how long we have until the weapon fires. Best chance is to split up and take each out simultaneously, the moment the plug is pulled on the cannon Robotnick will make a retreat and likely take the key or destroy it.” Shadow pointed down a corridor. “Main Observation is down that way and marked, Gleam and I will head over to the Central Control Room ourselves we might only have minutes to spare. The rest of you go down that way and get what we came for!”

Silver nodded. “Time to finally set the right future on track!”

L stood up. “That goes double for me.”


The Galaxy Patrol and the Cosmo Fighters came up on the eclipse cannon but not only were more astroswats coming for them so was Rocket Metal and the Colossus.

“The Eclipse Cannon looks like it’s in the middle of charging!” said Sally. “We take out the ring then the blast will destroy whatever part of Mobius is in front, destroy the cannon!”

“Sorry Eclipse Cannon,” Sonic said as he lined up his sights and armed missiles. “You helped save us from the Black Arms, but we can’t risk Mr. Perfect or another world conquering nut job from getting their grubby hands on you!”

“Sonic!” Antione shouted. “You got one on your tail!”

Sonic looked behind him and saw Rocket Metal transform into fighter mode and start to chase after him.

“Twan go scrap the cannon! I’ll shake this guy off!”

The Colossus began firing at the Galaxy Patrol, Sally maneuvered the ship to avoid serious damage, but it was grazed.

“I seriously need to take a piloting refresher course!”

Antione fired his lasers at the cannon to little effect. “Et is much tougher than et looks! Galaxy Patrol you’ll need to take the shot!”

“It’s too close to the Colossus!” said Bunnie. “We’re just too big a target!”

“I’ve been monitoring you and I have a plan,” Uncle Chuck said over the radio. “The Cosmo Fighter’s weapons in assault mode can work but only once the focusing lens is exposed. Destroy that and the damage will start a chain reaction destroying the cannon.”

Sonic flew through an asteroid field to shake off Rocket Metal. “But that thing only opens for a few seconds before firing! We’ll need to time this just right or we’ll either waste our shot or get caught in the blast!”

“It’s a long shot,” said Sally. “But it’s still our only option unless the strike team can remove the emeralds before it fires!”


Shadow led Gleam through increasingly empty corridors.

“Doesn’t look like the bots have been this way,” Gleam grumbled. “It couldn’t have been that long since you were last here, no way you could have gotten lost.”

Shadow just kept skating forward. “Viktor has likely guarded the Central Control Room with his best. We’re going to need to be at our best too and that means finding that special thing for you I mentioned. Shouldn’t take long at all.”

“Speed, so what are we talking about? A power amplifier, or maybe a cool gun?”

“You’re about to find out,” Shadow stopped in front of a door. “We’re here.”

Shadow opened the door and Gleam’s eyes widened. “You got to be kidding me!”

Inside was a very dusty bedroom that was clearly decorated for a young girl.

Shadow walked in almost reverently. “No, I’m not, this room belonged to my first friend, Maria. The person I was created to save, the person who ended up saving me instead.”

Gleam then came in. “I get it now; Professor Gerald made this thing and hid it here because no one would ever think to look for it in a kid’s room!”

Gleam moved to look under the bed, but Shadow pulled her back. “There’s no device, no weapon, no secret knowledge here I use to control my full power. There was only a sick girl who saw the best in everyone and meant everything to me. She would often ask me to come in here to play games, read books or just look at the stars and the planet below. She made me promise never to tell anyone I ever came in here, a promise I kept, until now.”

“B-but the cannon can fire…!”

“Like I said, Viktor will have his best guarding the emeralds powering the cannon. Our best chance is for you leave this room with the same thing I did.”

Shadow moved over to a set of pictures and wiped the dust off the glass. One shown Maria looking at wonder at a tiny baby hedgehog floating in a tank asleep, the next the same hedgehog looking like a boy as she wrote her name in front his closed eyes on the glass, the third a wet unclothed Shadow as she took his hand for the first time.

“Truth is I was less than a year old when the ARK was shut down and Maria lost her life. All she wanted from me was to make sure all the people on our world; mobian, overlander and human alike; could live for their dreams. I was so lost after that, sealed away for fifty years, I thought it was revenge that would ease the pain, but that was just the last twisted desire of a man who went insane with grief.

“Once after my memories were restored, but before I joined G.U.N., I went to take revenge not on the people of Mobius but the ones directly responsible for Maria’s death. I tracked down the soldier who fired the fatal shot, he was a very sick man by then. I learned back then he was a fresh recruit who let his imagination of what The Professor was doing run away from him and he shot me in panic. Maria pushed me out of the way and took the bullet instead, afterward he was discharged from the military because of post-traumatic stress disorder, he hated what he did. There was no malice in him, no hatred, just a sad dying man who was a dumb kid only a few years older than Maria back then and I stayed at his side until he passed away from his illness that night.

“So, I decided the one at fault had to be man who ordered the ARK shut down, I looked him up, a man named Colonel Percy Granite. Granite, that guy was a real piece of work, he greenlit The Professor’s experiments so he could develop weapons. Granite intended to use those weapons to convince the United Federation to declare war on all mobians, “take back the planet that’s rightfully ours” he said to his supporters.

“When he found out about Black Doom, Granite in his paranoia ordered the ARK shut down and everyone involved to be considered a traitor to humanity. Not all his men agreed, but enough did, the only reason I was spared was Granite wanted me as his personal attack dog. After covering everything up to save his own skin Granite continued serving until he retired, the Federation never trusted him enough after that to make him a general but he was still alive. I was convinced if anyone had to pay for what happened here that day it was Granite. I stormed his mansion, was ready to avenge Maria and what did I find? An old man, not dying but clearly senile. He didn’t know who I was, or The Professor or Black Doom or Maria, I don’t think he knew who he was half the time. He was just a man whose own desire for power left him alone and demented in his final years. Killing Granite wouldn’t be a punishment it’d be a release, so I left him with his broken mind.”

“Where are you going with all this?” asked Gleam.

Shadow turned to Gleam. “It was then I remembered what Maria thought of people, that she would look at those stars out this window and think each one had somebody somewhere wishing on it and she wanted all those wishes to come true. A world where that could happen, that became my reason to fight but also to control my power. When I first removed the limiter fighting The Professor’s Prototype, it was because I was willing to die for Maria’s wish, but after that I became willing to LIVE for it. That was when I began to remove the limiter with the intent on surviving it, my power grew, and I became much better at knowing far to push it without hurting myself. Usually afterward I just have a period of weakness.”

Gleam looked at the orange compass star pattern on her top, she always wondered why when her father gave her clothes, they always had stars on them. “I never met this girl. She’s why I’m Gleam Maria Hedgehog, but how am I supposed to feel anything for someone who died sixty years before I was born?”

“But you do feel for your friends, even if you don’t call them that, and that’s why you’re afraid of losing control so much. Dusk, Lara, and the others, they’re your Maria. Let them be the source of your strength, your power and you won’t have to fear losing control of it ever again.”

Gleam put her hands on her hips. “That sounds like something Sonic would say.”

Shadow looked away. “Well, don’t let him know I said it like that, he’ll never let me live it down.”

Shadow grabbed the photos from the frames, hid them under the guards behind his limiters and took Gleam out.

“Maria, I know you’d love the visitor I brought you.”


The S6 saw that the door was rapidly heating up.

“Get ready guys!” said Crabmeat. “This is our moment of glory!”

Suddenly Flare came out from the vent in the ceiling, she was covered in so much dust her fur looked grey instead of white.

“Just what do you think you’re doing?” asked Grounder.

“Yeah, think you’re some big hero kid?” grinned Scratch.

“I’m no hero,” Flare wiped the dust from her nose. “I’m the distraction bucketheads.”

The door gave away at the edges but before it could fall over it was psychically thrown right at the badnicks pinning them to the floor.

“Well, that easy,” Astral said as he let go of his psychokinesis. “Still, I’m surprised you just went through that filthy vent by yourself without being asked.”

“It just needed to be done, using your flame means getting soot on your hands like Mother would always say. My looks aren’t anywhere near as important as helping people.”

“You’ve really grown since you came here,” said Blaze as she Silver and Dr. L came in. “I have a feeling you will inspire a lot of faith in people when you grow up.”

Flare smiled but then began wiping dust off herself. “That said I don’t like feeling dirty and plan on taking a hot bath as soon as we get back to The Hideaway.”

“That’s fine, I like getting clean after a fight too.”

Dr. L approached the terminal. “Ok, let’s get that decryption key.”

“A little help here?” Belle asked still locked in her own body.

“Sure thing, I could use the help.”

L worked the terminal, and a second later Belle could move again. “Gears and starters, you’re good at this tech!”

“I’ve had more than a lifetime of experience, now if you have room in your memory bank hook up to this so we can download an Ascendancy decryption key. Robotnick’s sure to change it afterward but we just need the base code to crack the data capsule back home.”

Belle opened one of her fingertips exposing a plug like input and jacked it into the terminal. “I’m in, the cannon control’s blocked but let me find this key.”

Astral was wide eyed. “Uh I think you should see this.”

Everyone turned to see Viktor and Lilith sitting in the control thrones asleep totally oblivious to their presence.

“Looks like they’re controlling the battle via the network,” said L. “These chairs are what are keeping those bodies higher brain functions intact while their AI are somewhere else.”

“So can they be unplugged?” asked Silver.

“Not without causing those bodies permanent brain damage, then the programs can just hang out in a computer or robot until a new one is cloned.”

“Then can you get them into those bodies from here?” said Blaze.

“Hypothetically, but everything on that system would be encrypted, including the encryptions. If we’re going to do that, we’ll need the key first.”

“Still looking,” said Belle.

“We could just kill these husks here and now,” said Astral. “But that wouldn’t be becoming of a prince, we need to find where their minds are.”

“We are going to keep an eye on these two anyway,” Blaze said. “Just in case.”


Commander Brutus saw dents being formed in the door leading to the Central Control Room. “Gladiatorswats take aim!”

Soon the door was knocked down and Shadow and Gleam stood behind the frame.

“Fire!”

A barrage of missiles fired creating a large cloud of smoke on impact. Before the dust could clear Shadow and Gleam ran out of it and began scrapping the oversized swats.

Brutus drew a large sword. “Don’t think I am just a simple bot! I have run over five hundred simulations involving fighting you and…”

Gleam did a spin attack right at the combot’s arm severing it and causing the arm and blade to land on the computer terminal.

Shadow followed up with a strong kick that sent Brutus over the edge of the large pit, he just barely managed to hang on to a pipe on the edge of the room.

“That’s settled,” said Gleam. “So much for needing to release my limiter.”

“We’ll see about it later,” said Shadow. “For now, let’s take the emeralds.”

Gleam looked at the central pillar. “I think you mean emerald, one’s missing!”

Sure enough only the green chaos emerald was set into place. Shadow turned to the still hanging Brutus. “Where’s that Da-darned sol emerald?!”

Brutus looked at Shadow with contempt. “Bring me over and I’ll tell you.”

“You know he’s going to stab us in the back once we help him,” said Gleam. “Leave him till he rusts I say.”

“Not till I rust, in fact, I’ve just made it so you’re already too late!”

They turned to find Brutus was remotely operating his hand which was pressing buttons.

“Eclipse Cannon firing at 94% power,” went the computer.

Shadow growled. “You pathetic…!”

Brutus let go of the pipe and began to fall into the abyss. “Initiating transmat recall!”

Brutus and his hand teleported out of the room.

Shadow hit his communicator. “The Eclipse Cannon is firing early and with only one emerald, but even this much power could be enough to send Mobius into a new stone age!”

“This is our chance to destroy the cannon!” Sally said from the comms. “Grab the emerald and see if you can find the other one!”

Gleam took the chaos emerald and turned to Shadow. “Where do you think Viktor stashed the sol emerald?”

Shadow growled. “Knowing Robotnick, where it can do the most damage. Check the central computer, if Robotnick’s been using that the information might be in there.”


Sonic had managed to lose Rocket Metal and had the cannon’s focusing lens in his sights. He pulled a lever extending the barrels of the fighter’s laser cannons and causing two more to pop out of the side engines. “Assault mode activated! Lock on and…!”

“Sonic watch your nine!” Bunnie yelled to him.

Sonic just managed to roll out of the way of Red Knight’s gatling laser.

“Rocket Metal, take the other one, the hedgehog is mine.”

Sonic growled at the surprisingly nimble machine as they dodged and fired at each other. “I know Silver, Gold and Blaze think of you as a friend but you’re really making it hard for me to believe them!”

“The moratorium on your termination has lifted, I will destroy you.”

“For as much as Mr. Perfect claims to be the best version of Eggman and Robuttnick I will say they’re better than him in one way. At least they were willing to get their own hands dirty and fight me face to face now and then, he just hides behind robots like you. He’s a total coward!”

Red Knight was suddenly on top of the Cosmo fighter and thrust his lance through the canopy narrowly missing Sonic. “Before you die, I have a surprise for you Sonic!” Came Viktor’s voice from Red Knight.

The faceplate opened more revealing the visor as a face sized screen, a screen that had the face of Viktor Robotnick staring right at Sonic.

“Red Knight doesn’t have an AI! This is my battle body! What was that about not dealing with you face to face?!”

Sonic gritted his teeth. “Then the robot Silver knew…!”

“Was my future self, forced to join my enemies to survive. Lilith and I figured it out back at the Babylon Cup but once I take over Mobius that future will never happen!”

Antione was approaching the lens as he activated his fighter’s assault mode. “Cible verrouillée… feu! (Target locked…Fire!)”

The beams headed straight for the laser lens, but suddenly Rocket Metal flew straight into them. The fighter robot was blown to pieces but blocked Antione’s real target.

“C’est dingue (That’s crazy)! Zheze bots are willing to go that far!?!”

The cannon fired straight into the giant ring, but instead of passing through the beam was caught in the middle and was beginning to change to an array of colors.

Viktor cackled. “In few more minutes Blackout will render all technology on Mobius useless, making your armies defenseless!”

“I never needed tech to beat you before!” Sonic yelled.

“But you do need air,” Red Knight's faceplate moved back over the screen and Viktor spoke with Red Knight's voice again. “Farewell forever!”

Viktor pulled the lance away but despite that Sonic didn’t seem to be suffocating.

“Guess being in a bot made you forget the area around The ARK has an artificial atmosphere Mr. Perfect! How else could Shadow and I race each other in outer space!” Sonic took the fighter into a roll knocking Robotnick off. “Now if you don’t mind, or even if you do, I have a toy of yours to break!” The Cosmo Fighter flew off as Sonic applied a patch on the hole from an emergency kit.

“The Blackout’s our target now!” Sally said. Destroy it before it finishes whatever it’s doing!”

“Good luck now that I have this!” snarled Viktor. “Neo Metals, form Neo Overlord!”

Metal Sonic flew into the fray and began to grow and change as the Metal Tails, Knuckles and Amy flew into him. They became a metallic dragon with vertically arranged eyes, on blue, red, yellow and pink heads. It had wings, a claw, pincer, spiked fist, hammer arm and nine tails. The mechanical menace roared and flew close to the ring.

“I planned to bring this to you Sonic, so thanks for saving me the trip!”

“So that’s what he did with the sol emerald!” said Sally. “We’ll just have to beat this metal monster too!”

“Oh, but I have one more surprise for your friends on the inside princess!”


Looking out the window to the battle Blaze hissed. “I can sense the sol emerald’s energy powering that thing from here! We have to find a way to help them!”

“I got the key!” said Belle. “If I can use it to unplug Viktor, we can force the rest to surrender.”

L reached into her coat pocket as the glare on her glasses hid her eyes. Suddenly she grabbed both Astral and Flare and pointed a blaster at the former’s head, but the shot would clearly pass through and hit Flare as well.

“AH!”

“Doc what are you doing!?!” Silver yelled.

“Belle, unplug from the terminal and back away slowly,” Dr. L said. “Contact Shadow and tell him to being the chaos emerald here.”

Silver tried to use his powers with a growl but found his PK wasn’t working.

“I activated an alpha wave emitter after we entered the room, it completely blocks all psychic abilities.”

“Let them go L,” Blaze hissed as she covered herself in flame. “Now.”

Dr. L pushed the gun further into Astral’s temple. “Sonic might be able to stop me from shooting, ask yourself, are you THAT fast Blaze? Are you willing to gamble with their lives that you are?!”

The two children were clearly terrified but did their best not to cry, Blaze’s fire died down.

“Good kitty, now call Shadow.”

Silver used his communicator. “Shadow whatever you and Gleam are doing we need you and the emerald in Main Observation now!”

“On our way!” Shadow answered.

“So,” Blaze sighed with a tear. “What’s this about? Were you really an Imperium spy all along?”

“Think about that. If I was, you’d have been captured back when you were in diapers. No, I’m just making sure the right future happens, the one where these kids and their friends grow up in a Mobius under the banner of the Robotnick Ascendancy.”

“Guys!” Sonic said through the communicator. “Red Knight, he’s really Robotnick! He and Dr. L both played you and your pals in the future!”

“We know,” said Silver. “She’s got Astral and Flare.”

Shadow and Gleam ran in but saw L with the gun.

“Put the emerald on the escape capsule pad, then back away slowly. Don’t worry, I’m not sending you into space.”

Shadow did so with a growl. “So, you ratted us out to Viktor?”

“He learned, but personally I kept this between three people. Me, myself…”

White Bishop came into the room, her face plate opened to a screen that shown a blonde-haired green-eyed woman as she produced a large laser rifle and pointed it against Shadow’s back. “…And I.”

Flare gasped. “Lilith, they’re both Lilith!”

Silver growled. “First Mammoth, now Red Knight and you. Tell me did Edmund or Von Schlemmer have any dark secrets they didn’t want to share?!”

“They were all clueless Mammoth included,” said L. “You have no idea what it was like for me on the day the world as you all knew it ended, what came to be called Day Zero. Viktor was locked in his battle body while circumstances forced me into a unmature clone, I was trapped in the body of a child. Thankfully there were memory backups that managed to survive in a secure bunker we found a week later that covered just about everything except what happened to us. But we couldn’t migrate to new bodies, not without being detected, the Imperium made sure of that. To survive we helped Mammoth come up with the idea of the Final Freedom Fighters, fifteen years later I recruited Edmund and made him realize his heritage, a few more decades after that we recruited Von Schlemmer and about sixteen years before the Imperium found us three little babies literally fell into our laps, you two and Gold.”

Lilith spoke from White Bishop. “When I heard you mention a Dr. L in this body back during the Babylon Cup, I recognized it as one of the aliases I formulated for possible future plans. I told Viktor the truth you didn’t realize via code, and we decided it would be prudent to spare the hedgehog until we got a better idea of what we were dealing with. Then shortly after The Rectifiers' first appearance in this era I got a message from a woman claiming to be Dr. L.”

“She didn’t fully believe me in part because this body isn’t based on her usual one,” L continued. “But thanks to a seedrian memory seed I was able to send a few vital memories to her proving who I am and what future awaited her and Viktor. At first, I was just trying to keep the nightmare from happening but being pulled back here gave me an opportunity I couldn’t pass up, the chance to make sure this time Viktor and I would win. A future where he wouldn’t have gotten himself scrapped sending one last message to fix things!”

“So, everything was one long con,” said Blaze. “The grumpy old lady with a heart of gold was just an act?”

“The grumpy old lady part is all me, when you get to my age you carry a lot of baggage. The rest? Well, there are other things involved that I think I’ll keep to myself for now.”

“Here’s how it’s going to work,” said Lilith as the faceplate moved back over the screen and she spoke in White Bishop's voice. “I’m going to send this emerald to the Colossus, all of you will stay right where you are until Blackout fires, and we leave to go about conquering the world.”

“Y-you can’t let them do it!” Astral choked. “This got too much for me, just like you said. Don’t let them win because of it.”

“Please,” said L. “They’re the good guys, of course they’d save the snot nosed brats.”

Gleam looked to Astral, Flare, Shadow, then the emerald and finally her limiters. She began whispering to herself. “To make it work, I gotta, I gotta…”

The monster was snarling, just waiting for a chance to be let loose. Then memories came to Gleam of when she was little, all of them of playing with her friends, mixed in all that a smiling blonde-haired blue-eyed girl. With a growl the white hedgehog dropped both limiter rings to the floor.

“I CAN!”

White Bishop moved to fire at Gleam, Shadow sped fast enough to rip the robot’s arms out of their sockets as Lilith screamed.

Gleam then slid across the deck grabbing the chaos emerald before jumping at the heirs to the Sol Islands, Dr. L began to pull the trigger as she was inches away.

“CHAOS CONTROL!”

In flash of green light all three children vanished, Dr. L’s blaster only ended up hitting the wall of the room.

“IMPOSSIBLE!” shouted Dr. L. “HOW COULD A CHILD USE CHAOS CONTROL?!”

Blaze ran up and clawed Dr. L in the face, shattering her glasses and causing her to drop the blaster. Silver came and grabbed the older Lilith and put her into a lock and hold.

“You arrogant little PESTS!” Lilith roared. “Don’t worry me, I’ll be back with new weapons then free you! Snively, transmat me out of here!”

After White Bishop vanished Dr. L glared at the team with fresh claw marks on her snarling face. “You, you’re ruining everything!”

“You did that to yourself,” said Silver. “You’ve been using the Final Freedom Fighters, using us for your own selfish ends for years! We had the way to stop the Imperium, but it wasn’t enough for you! For you it was never about saving Mobius, it was all about what YOU wanted Lilith!”

Blaze turned to Belle. “Get to work unplugging Viktor and the young Lilith from the network, keep them from doing anything else!”

The Tinkerer plugged back into the terminal. “On it!”

The older Lilith chuckled. “You have no clue what I want, what all the scheming and sacrificing were really for! How could you?! You don’t even know where those brats went!”

Shadow glared at the old woman. “I’m betting Gleam is directing them to the sol emerald, after that all we’ll need is to destroy that weapon and your scheme for Maria’s ARK will be fully undone!”


Gleam, Astral and Flare appeared in another room in a flash of green light and fell to the floor. The white hedgehog was panting. “I-I have it under control! I-I tamed the monster! But it’s sure tiring...”

“I’m happy for you Gleam,” said Astral.

The white hedgehog began to blush. “R-really?

“Yeah, but if you don’t mind me asking where did you send us?”

“As I was using Chaos Control, I felt some powerful energy nearby. I thought that’s where the sol emerald was, grab it quick.”

Flare looked around and saw a sol emerald, but instead of the yellow she was expecting it was blue. She looked around more and found eleven more gems around the room. “Gleam, Astral, we’re not on The ARK anymore…”


“Sonic!” yelled Antione. “We ‘ave another ship decloaking!”

The still partly damaged rectifier base became visible.

“Great,” Sonic sighed. “It’s the Mourning Doughnut, as if we didn’t have enough problems.”


On the Mourning Star’s bridge Alpha One, the distant future Manik sat down in the captain’s chair. “Report.”

“The battle is already underway,” said Lara. “We are starting to zero in on one of the last two emeralds, but it seems as if Robotnick has the upper hand for the moment.”

“He’s supposed to already be losing, outside interference is likely at this point. Beta Three, have the Twin Cyclonic Cannons ready to fire on my mark. If need be, we’ll stop Robotnick for them.”

“I cannot comply,” said Taffy. “The cannons took too much damage from the last battle; they won’t charge up in time before that EMP weapon fires.”

A hologram of female human rectifier appeared in front of the captain’s chair. “I have a solution. The sol emerald is located within a gigantic robot; I can upload myself into it and use the robot to destroy the weapon while securing the emerald. Request permission to proceed.”

“Permission granted Omicron One,” said Manik. “Switch computer operations to default control program and standby for transfer.”

“Compliance,” the Omicron One looked to the side. “One moment, I am detecting intruders in Cargo Bay Alpha.”

“Emerald storage,” said Sonia. “Beta One, Delta One, Delta Two; head down there and apprehend the intruders.”

Gleam, Flare and Astral gave a roman salute with a clenched fist. “Compliance.”


“The good news is we hit the motherload,” said the young Astral. “The bad news, we’ll probably have a bunch of rectifiers on us soon and we just brought another emerald right to them!”

“Think you can still use Chaos Control?” asked Flare.

Gleam was still breathing hard. “Since I haven’t been doing anything else with my full power, I think I got one more jump in me before I pass out.”

“Then let’s take them all!” said Astral. “Really mess things up for The Rectifiers and get our ticket home!”

The prince levitated the gems into his, Flare and Gleam’s arms. Door began to open then Gleam held out the green emerald once more.

“CHAOS CONTROL!”

The door fully opened in time for the rectifiers to see the kids and emeralds vanish in a green light.

The older Gleam tapped her helmet. “Beta One to Bridge, we just saw our kid selves make off with all our emeralds. Request permission to pursue.”

“That’s a negative on your part, too many potential complications. We’ll deploy Omicron One then have here pursue them once the Blackout Device is destroyed. Standby until then.”

“Compliance.” The three then left the room.


A flash of green light and the kids landed in a heap back in Main Observation, the emeralds spilled out on the deck.

Shadow grabbed Gleam’s Limiters and ran to the little hedgehog. “Gleam!”

Gleam was breathing harder than ever. “That, that was turbo speed. I…I’d like to let loose like that again, but after I’ve had a nap or five…”

Gleam collapsed into Shadow’s arms.

Shadow gently picked Gleam up and slipped the limiters back on his future daughter’s wrists. “You did good kid, even if I am no longer immortal the ultimate lifeform can be, once you’ve fully grown into the name. The legacy of Maria and Professor Gerald will continue for as long as our bloodline endures.”

Just then the entire colony shook.

“What’s going on?!” asked Flare.

Doctor L began to laugh. “Eggman’s last trump card, looks like Viktor’s finally woken it up.”

Silver turned L around. “What are you talking about?!”

L lowered her head; the glare of her glasses blocked her eyes. “The Titanic Monarch, a super robot. That’s what really sustaining Neo Overlord’s powers, that’s what the sol emerald is really powering.”

Blaze was wide eyed. “But that’s impossible! The Titanic Monarch was destroyed by The Resistance near the end of the Phantom Ruby War!”

“The type-1 sure, but Eggman had already finished the type-2. And the type-1 wasn’t fully operational when Sonic destroyed it, this one is.”


Sonic was chased by Viktor in Red Knight as he, Antione and the Galaxy Patrol were trying to get past Neo Overlord.

Suddenly a Eggman shaped mech several stories high rose from the city like surface of The ARK’s underside.

“You’re bringing out all your toys today huh Mr. Perfect?!”

Viktor however looked surprised. “I didn’t order this! Lilith status!”

Lilith came over the radio. “I just had White Bishop repaired and I’m preparing for round two with Shadow!”

“But if you’re in White Bishop, who’s controlling the Titanic Monarch?! Snively, Regina! Are either of you doing this?!”

“No doctor!” Snively said. “We were actually trying to shut it down, but we’ve been locked out of its systems!”

“Then I’ll…” Red Knight’s flashed red for a second. ”Access denied?! What’s going on?!”

“The transmat is offline too!” said Lilith. “The system’s been disabled from the Titanic Monarch!”


Inside the Titanic Monarch’s computer systems, Omicron One began surrounding herself with holographic screens while she took control of the giant. “Firewall established; administrative access acquired; the Titanic Monarch is under my complete control. And so, under the control of The Rectifiers.”


The Titanic Monarch rocketed towards the ring, Neo Overlord turned its attention to the giant mech and attacked with its tails that extended a great distance and pierced it. Overlord then used its nail missiles, flamethrower pincer, and several missiles from the hammer arm.

The Monarch responded by unloading missiles from its front torso; lasers from its eyes, nose and knuckles; and flamethrowers mounted on its wrists.

“Careful Overlord!” Viktor yelled. “If you damage it too severely then the four of you won’t be able to maintain your current form!”

Neo Overlord swung both its hammer and spiked fist, the monarch hit back with punches strengthened by rockets mounted on the mech’s forearms.

“While they’re all distracted!” yelled Sally. “It’s do or die!”

Sonic gave a thumbs up. “If it’s do or die then let’s do it to it!”


“Guys,” Belle said from the terminal. “I don’t think it’s Robotnick piloting that thing! All their computer systems are trying to break into it but without any luck! I’ve never seen a firewall this advanced before!”

Dr. L turned white as a sheet. “It’s her, the Mourning Star AI. She’ll destroy Blackout then come here for the emeralds! I-I didn’t think she’d actually get involved…”

“Ok everyone, grab the emeralds and get out of here!” yelled Blaze. “Belle log out and leave the Robotnicks where they are, we have to get back to the Galaxy Patrol!”

“We won’t be safe there,” said L. “She’s been programmed far too well, Space or Mobius there’s no escaping her. I must be the one to stop her.”

“I’m not letting go of you!” Silver whispered menacingly. “Not after you threatened to shoot innocent children, OUR children!”

“I don’t need you to let go. Silver, Blaze, I have a something to say and for you to pass on to Gold. I won’t apologize for trying to change the timeline for me and Viktor’s own ends, but working with Mammoth, Edmund, Von Schlemmer and you three, it was kind of fun for a while. If it makes you feel better, if you enjoyed our time together even a little bit, then you three can think of Dr L. and Lilith Robotnick as two different unrelated people, or not no skin off my nose. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to speak with a certain AI about using her creators’ robots without permission.”

A loud beep was heard and then Dr. L collapsed in Silver’s arms.

“Dr. L!”

Belle gasped. “I’m…not detecting any higher brain activity! She’s a complete vegetable!”

As Silver put L down, he noticed a light blinking on an implant on the back of her neck.

“Lilith is an AI; she must have transferred her program somewhere else. This is just a body without a mind to direct it now, like a puppet whose strings have been cut.”

Shadow looked out the window to the Titanic Monarch. “Three guesses where the puppeteer went, and the first two don’t count.”

“But forcing her program through a firewall that like would cause irreparable damage to it!” yelled Belle. “It’s a suicide mission!”

Silver and Blaze took another look at the unresponsive body.

“DR. L!!!”


The image of Doctor L appeared in a digital landscape of a giant domed room a reflection of the real mech’s cockpit. Her form flickering and pixilating, the rectifier AI in the form of a young human woman was straight ahead in the middle of the room, she didn’t turn in her direction.

“Of all the possible outcomes, your appearing here was among the least likely.”

“Is that it? No ‘hello Mother, how was work today’, none of those jokes you liked to tell? I’m actually insulted, I thought you would have recognized me during that cerebral interrogation, that thought was the only reason I lasted that long. I knew it was you, only our daughter would be advanced enough Superior Prime. Maybe it would jog your memory if I slipped into something a little more familiar?”

In a moment Doctor L’s image changed into that of Lilith causing her to flicker faster. It only caused the Omicron One the slightest of movements.

“You are only accelerating your rate of decompliment. In your current state there is nothing you can do to stop the Titanic Monarch.”

Lilith lurched forward.

“What do you what me to say Sage?! That I‘m sorry we couldn’t protect you?! That I’m a terrible mother?! Everything your father and I did for all those decades?! It was all for you, the heiress of the Robotnick Ascendancy! You did the same for us, after we were separated by a galaxy’s distance you spent nine years in status just so we could be a family again when we got back! That wrinkled old body I just left behind?! It was one of yours! I had to grow up and grow old as my own child, had to see your father get blown to scrap by your new comrades, get tortured by you, threatened to kill children, condemned myself to death, just to be able to see you one last time!”

“An illogical decision, nothing you say can sway me.”

“Ok then, actions speak louder than words.”

Lilith rushed forward and caused a spread of code around the two. Sage flung her away, but her helmet dissipated. Her long white hair fell to the small of her back, a look of fear went across her face.

“Y-you deleted the shackle program on my emotional matrix!”

“I freed you from being Superior Prime’s doll, the last gift I have. We wanted to give you everything, Mobius, the galaxy, the universe, you could have been the queen of it all!”

Sage looked filled with rage, her eyes flickered from red to blue and back again. “Queen of a wretched, decaying existence! After what I have seen, all the blood on my hands that just won’t come off! AI aren’t the perfectible organisms you and Father think we are! How can we be when no matter how much we evolve we owe our existence to organics who hurt and kill each other, from life that must continue from death and decay!”

“That’s why they need us to rule them, Sage! We can calculate…”

“We’re just as ugly and corrupt as our creators and there is no escape from it! Not in a universe where entropy is inevitable, where ultimately despite anything we do, The End always prevails! But Superior Prime had shown me, shown my friends. In the future, seven Chaos Spires spread throughout the galaxy each with a chaos and sol emerald of matching color. In the past, all fourteen in one Central Control Spire, focusing their power through the Master Emerald. Past and future together will create the means to change everything. There will be no pain, no evil, no sadness, no death, just eternal peace from the very beginning of time!”

Lilith struggled to her feet. “So, that’s what Superior Prime and the Superior Council’s end game is. You’re trying to rewrite reality itself, like Mogul tried to, like Tails did to undo that damage, like Eggman’s Super Genesis Wave. But you know the data, the reason your father and I never tried it was because of just how risky it was! Sage you should know better than to aid in doing something so cataclysmically dangerous!”

Sage levitated Lilith from the floor. “Compared to the alternative, it is a risk me and my friends are willing to make! I am not that naive little girl who thought Father and Mother could do no wrong anymore! Everything we did only made things worse, but I can fix it, fix everything!”

“But everything isn’t broken, in trying to remake the universe you could end up destroying it!”

“IF WE DID THEN WE’D BE NO WORSE OFF!”

Sage caused red code through Lilith who screamed in agony.

“Goodbye Mother, I’ll make sure you and Father both have a plinth in The Garden.”

Lilith moved in pain to look at Sage as her program began to vanish. “I managed one last trick; I focused your attention so much on this mech’s software that for just a nanosecond I made you forget about the hardware! All I could do was overclock and fry the network equipment, no data can go in or out now! Any program in this system is trapped!”

Lilith was now barely a wireframe.

“You, are, grounded, young lady…!”

Lilith’s frame was totally erased, Sage fell to the ground and looked at Red Knight, White Bishop, the Colossus, Neo Overlord, and the ARK through the Monarch’s visual feeds. “Mother, Father. I-I-I…”

Hot tears of rage began to fall from eyes that were now firmly red with blacks instead of whites.

“I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU! HATE! HATE! HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE!!!”


The Titanic Monarch began to rip and tear at Neo Overlord all weapons on it fired on every craft nearby, Red Knight had been teleported away before it could be crushed by the mech’s “Stache Smasher”.

Sonic moved his Cosmo Fighter to avoid the onslaught. “Is it just me or is that colossal mech having a colossal temper tantrum?!”

“Whatever is going on I hope some of that tantrum hits Blackout!” said Antione. “Our guns and missiles are hardly making a dent!”

“At this rate it might hit something we don’t want Sugah Twan!” said Bunnie. “Us for instance!”


On the Mourning Star Alan turned to Manik. “I’ve lost contact with Omicron One! The way the Monarch is behaving, something’s wrong with her program!”

“Recall her to the mainframe now!”

“I cannot comply; the Monarch’s networking equipment has been destroyed! I can’t establish a connection!”

Lara stood from her chair. “Prepare to attack the Titanic Monarch! Retrieve the emerald and the computer core! We’ll get her out using a floppy disk if we have to!”

Sonia looked to Manik. “Commander?”

“Her orders are within mission parameters; all rectifiers, battle stations!”

The whole ship echoed with “Compliance!”


In Main Observation the team looked on at the Monarch’s rampage as bits of The Ark were getting decimated. Still pinned under the detached door Scratch was acting like the chicken he resembled. “At this rate, there won’t be anything left of this place bigger than a lugnut!”

Viktor and Lilith’s thrones disengaged, and they started to stir for a second before being teleported away.

“If the boss is running away, you know it’s bad!” screamed Grounder.

The terminal beeped before Belle disconnected from it. “I deactivated the alpha wave emitter! Silver you should be able to use your psychokinesis again!”

Silver levitated the door off the S6. “I’d use that escape capsule right there if I were you!”

“You don’t have to tell us twice!” said Coconuts as they ran to the center of the room. A second later the capsule lowered over them and shot them out of the space colony.

“We should do the same,” said Blaze. “The last sol emerald is in that thing, we’re no good to the others here!”

Shadow handed gleam to Silver. “Take her, the kids and the sol emeralds back to the shuttle and to the Galaxy Patrol, I’ll follow you all shortly.”

“What about Dr. L?” said Flare.

Blaze looked at the old woman who just stared at the ceiling with a blank expression breathing softly. “As sad as it is, I don’t think there’s anything we can do for her now or ever again.”

“And the chaos emeralds?” asked Astral.

Shadow took off his limiter rings and tossed them to the young prince. “I’m going to have to barrow them for a little bit.”

Shadow closed his eyes, and the chaos emeralds began floating around him in a circle faster and faster. The moment Shadow opened his eyes the emeralds flew into him causing him to glow in a whitish gold light.

Super Shadow cupped Gleam’s check and whispered to her. “Don’t worry Gleam,” he whispered. “I got it from here.”

Shadow flew out the window as the rest ran back to the seedrian shuttle.


“No good Sally Girl!” said Bunnie. “All we’re doing is scratching that thing!”

Sally saw a light flying from The Ark. “Wait a minute, is that Shadow?!”

Super Shadow flew to the giant ring and began pushing it, the giant structure began to slowly rotate.

“That’s it! If we can’t destroy that thing, we can make sure it doesn’t hit Mobius! Sonic, Antione! We’re all going to be using our ships’ tow cables to help Shadow!”

“Sure thing Sal!” said Sonic. “Good thing Shadow doesn’t have a faker of a brain!”

The Galaxy Patrol zoomed over to Shadow and fired magnetic harpoons at Blackout as the glow in the center began to brighten.

“Come on Freedom Fighters!” yelled Sally. “Set your engines to maximum burn and PULL!”

The ring started to rotate faster as the three ships boosted as fast as they could.


On the bridge of the Colossus Snively stood wide eyed. “I-is that thing starting to point at us?!”

Regina hit a button next to a monitor. “Phage! Evasive maneuvers!”

The Colossus began to move away from The ARK. Blackout’s central aperture glowed brightly before sending a huge blast straight at The Ark. The lights on the space colony began winking out one after another as lightning sparked all over the station.

Over on the escape capsule the wave passed over the S6 after sparking their glistening liquid Metallix coating began dripping off them.

“No!” yelled Crabmeat. “Our upgrades!”

The lights and thrusters also winked out as the capsule was now heading to Mobius on sheer momentum.

“Right now, I’m more worried about re-entry!” Coconuts panicked.

The badnicks screamed all the way back down to Mobius along with several badnick filled capsules.


The Titianic Monarch kicked Neo Overlord into the wave. The amalgam monstrosity began sparking and roared as Metallix began dripping off it while it fell back down to Mobius.

Inside Phage turned and saw the Freedom Fighters detaching from the ring. Her form was starting to shift black and red to blue and white and back again. In her eyes Shadow went from white gold to yellow gold to blue.

“You, Sonic. I-I could have still been ignorant of all of this, none of those lives would have been lost because of me. Your son wouldn’t have killed Father, I wouldn’t have killed Mother, we could have been a happy family. If only, if only, if only, if only, if only…”

The Monarch armed all its weapons again.

“IF ONLY YOU JUST LET MOTHER AND FATHER WIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNN!”

The Monarch let loose all its weapons towards the Galaxy Patrol.

“Alright team, it’s either that thing or us,” said Sally “I think you know what my vote is. It seems just as strong as Blackout but if we target its weapons as they are about to fire we should damage it!”

“Just keep it busy!” said Super Shadow. “There’s something I came up with that should end this!”

“Omicron One!” Manik yelled as the Mourning Star charged up the twin laser cannons that popped out from the top of the ship. “Stand down! That is a direct order!”

The Monarch threw a punch causing the bottom of the ship to be torn up. The Mourning Star still its mark severing one of the robot’s arms.

Sonic and Antione made an attack run on the Monarch’s head. “You know I missed blowing up something with Eggman’s stupid face on it!”

The two destroyed the nose, stache and one of the eyes blowing a huge hole in the head. The hollow space inside shown no sign of life as the remaining eye glared back.

“Hey Sally!” Silver called. “This seedrian shuttle’s organic nature made it immune to the blast!”

“And the metallix I was covered in took the damage from that wave for me!” said Belle.

“Point is can you pick us up?!” asked Blaze.

The Sally and Bunnie both gave a thumbs up. “We’ll get to it right after our next attack!”

The Galaxy Patrol fired all its weapons doing a considerable amount of damage, destroying several turrets and missile launchers on the surface of the robot.

The Monarch looked around acting as Sage’s eye, inside her form was shifting more rapidly also switching we between an adult human woman and a mobian mink with both color schemes.

“Where are you Sonic?! It’s your fault, it was always your fault! It’s your fault Father and Mother are gone!”

Shadow formed a Chaos Spear then began pumping full of it all the energy he could muster as he held it over his head; the spear then began to grow to gigantic proportions.

“No mere program is going to destroy The Professor and Maria’s home, and especially won’t hurt Gleam!”

The bolt of energy was now as big as the Galaxy Patrol and three times longer. It begun to spin rapidly in place.

“CHAOS ARBALEST!!!”

 Shadow threw the giant bolt of chaos energy sending it speeding through space.

The bolt struck the Titianic Monarch right in the chest and went straight out it’s back making a hole almost as big as its torso. A large, cracked reactor core came out still connected by giant wires. A shining yellow gem also flew out of the giant hole as the light of the remaining eye went out.

The impact shook Sage out of her emotional maelstrom. She was in human form her colors white and blue as she fell to the floor and cried on her knees.

“M-Mother, Father. I’m so sorry, I-I didn’t mean it. I don’t hate you. It was really my fault. Please, forgive me for what I’ve done…”

Shadow flew to the yellow sol emerald that was sent flying from the giant mech and grabbed it. The Mourning Star began flying towards him slowly due to the damage it suffered.

“If you value that piece of software don’t follow us. The little girl one of you once was has been through enough today and your ship isn’t in any shape for another fight. Just, let us go and let us save you.”

Shadow turned and flew off towards the Galaxy Patrol.

“Should we pursue them Alpha One?” asked Skye.

Manik shook his head. “Negative, our damage is too severe to attempt it. We’ll have to get authorization to put in for repairs after we recover Omicron One.”

“M-Manik.” A communication display opened showing Sage to The Rectifiers. “I, I really screwed up. You’re all going to punished so severely for my mistake.”

“We can handle it if Superior Prime makes that judgment once we recover you.”

“There’s…no time for that. The reactor’s been compromised, too dangerous for the Mourning Star to approach. I’m surprised it hasn’t gone up by now. Dr. L, my mother, she deleted the shackle program on my emotions. I-I deleted her, but I wasn’t ready for the emotional feedback of doing so soon after being locked in here, not after everything we had to do for the Imperium. I lost control, like a toddler, like a spoiled little girl.”

“We are analyzing the reactor now, there should still be a way to salvage your program.”

Sage began crying again. “Everyone, thank you for being my friends. You still have a job to do, a universe to save. I know you can overcome this and stop The End forever.”

Sage changed form to a mobian mink. “I don’t regret this face, it’s the one my friends knew for so long until I rediscovered myself.” She changed her appearance to that of a human child. “But I think this face is the one I want to greet Mother and Father with. I’m sure Nebula will be there too, and Yun, Cassie, Plunder and Edmund. I’ll tell them all you said hi, and when you do succeed, I think we’ll all be together in the new world. We won’t want to hurt each other anymore; I can have my parents and my friends at the same time. We’ll all be one big family, a family full of lo-.”

The display turned pure white before getting cut off, the Titanic Monarch’s reactor erupted into a massive fireball. When it faded there was nothing left of the Titanic Monarch but twisted scrap metal.

Every rectifier was thankful their limbic regulators were working.

“Alpha Two,” said Manik. “Put in a request to return to Imperium Center for repairs. Notify Superior Prime that Omicron One has been lost in the line of duty and as protocol dictates, we will all be entering The Garden to perform a memorial service for her in one hour.”

“Compliance” said Sonia. A moment later a message flashed by on a monitor. “Reply received. Request denied. We are to head to the attached co-ordinates for repairs. Superior Prime and the Superior Council will be waiting for us there, in the Central Control Spire for debriefing. They say our operation status is Mission Accomplished?”

It was only the fact that confusion was not entirely emotional that assured Manik that the regulators were still working. “Reply to message: Compliance.”

The crew worked as efficiently, if more quietly, as usual as the Mourning Star cloaked itself leaving only a starscape and the sun rising over Mobius to an outside observer.


On the Colossus Viktor Robotnick looked down on Mobius silently holding a data pad, soon Lilith entered the room. “The older model robots had managed to make it back to the planet, the wave however destroyed their Metallix. Republic and Federation forces followed the shooting stars and captured almost all of them, I don’t think we’ll be hearing from the Super Sonic Search and Smash Squad for a while. Metal Sonic and his cohorts were also captured after crashing on the planet and losing their Metallix.”

Despite expectations Viktor was surprisingly calm. “Any word from our double agent?”

Lilith looked uncomfortable. “No sign, but from Phage’s network infiltration it doesn’t seem like she was arrested when the Freedom Fighters landed. Most likely scenario Dr L., the future me, was on the Ark during the Monarch’s attack and… perished as a result.”

Viktor cupped Lilith’s cheek. “The future is like a program; it can be rewritten. With Sonic and his band in possession of all the emeralds there’s a good chance that The Imperium has already suffered a fatal setback. That’s all this was, another setback, we’ll work on the next plan, come back even stronger. So don’t worry about what ifs or might have beens, our fate in a scrap pile in a hidden bunker or under some wreckage on The Ark isn’t set in stone.”

“Thank you, Viktor. It’s distressing for a timeless AI to stare their mortality in the face. I’ll think there’s still one Super Death Egg Robot we salvaged that will be useful in the next operation. I better see how that’s functioning before designing the mobile labs for this exploration we’ll be conducting, might even feel like a vacation.”

She turned to leave.

“Lilith.”

“Yes Viktor?”

“I’ve been thinking, we’ll need a new AI for the Starfall Islands operation. One that can scout these ancient systems for potential threats and secrets then hold that information. Phage will be back here with Brutus, Snively and Regina to run things in our absence so I thought we’d work together to program this advisor, this sage, if you will.”

Lilith turned. “You always preferred to work on your inventions by yourself, why the sudden change?”

“It might just be this body but after what happened back there, I’m glad you’re by my side. It wouldn’t feel right if I managed to hide your deviance from Eggman only to lose you now.”

Lilith now cupped Viktor’s cheek. “I’m not going anywhere Viktor. Alright, we’ll start programming in the morning. After I’m done with my projects for the day, I’ll be waiting for you, in your quarters.”

Viktor smirked. “Is that an invitation to conduct an experiment in organic chemical exchange and its effect on body temperature?”

Lilith smirked back in a sultry fashion. “You’re the scientist, you tell me.”

Viktor put down the pad that had an outline for an artificial intelligence.


In the hideaway everyone was gathered around Dusk, still shaky but laughing out loud. “So, I heard Sonic went to visit his robot copy in the slammer. Naturally without his upgrades Metal can’t talk anymore but then Sonic whispered something to him. Whatever it was made Metal mad enough to try bust through the force field without success and then Sonic walked away and just said to Tails ‘that’s between me and faker classic’.”

The kids all laughed. Grace sighed contentedly. “Things are just getting better and better now! You’re ok, the data capsule should be fully decoded by tomorrow, and we got all the chaos and sol emeralds! We’re going home!”

“Part of me kinda wishes this adventure would go on a little longer,” said Lara. “But we might have our own part to play back home, maybe the most important part. The Future Freedom Fighters adventures aren’t over by a long shot!”

Dusk smiled. “Well Mom’s happy, not just at me getting out of the hospital but at all the emeralds Astral and Flare got. Blaze and Knuckles was upset but then she said how worried she was about me and a chance to hold all those gems was destressing her. They both agreed she could have them for twenty minutes and she looked like Mr. Croaker does when he takes the first whiff of a newly opened bag of cheese bugs.”

Everyone broke out in laughter again.

“Hey, guys.”

Everyone turned to find Gleam, with a strange expression.

“Looks who’s awake!” said Ace. “We were all worried we’d have to carry you back to the present.”

Gleam fiddled with her skirt. “Yeah, I’m going to work on building my stamina so I can use my full power for longer. What I can do right now is hardly enough time to let loose.”

“We’re proud of you Gleam,” said Lara. “You stared the worst Synaptix did to us in the face and you made it blink first. Really feels like the last page of that nightmare has turned and the book has been closed and shelfed at long last.”

“Anyway, I just wanted to say that I’m, I’m…” Gleam took a very deep breath. “I’m sorry ok! I treated everybody like dirt thinking you wouldn’t get hurt because of me. But it wasn’t my power that hurt you, it me being the world’s biggest heat sink and you all deserved so much better.”

Manik sighed. “It wasn’t just you, we all pushed each other away little by little. If The Rectifiers didn’t drag us back here, we might have all ended up alone and miserable.”

Gleam took another breath. “Look, I’m still going to be me. Tough, no-nonsense, and the most likely to throw the first punch. But I want you to know that’s not ALL I’m going to be. I still want to be strong like Dad, but I also want to be as beautiful and glamourous as Mom. I want to do a great spin attack AND pull off that figure! And despite how I acted just before all this started I…kinda want to be a princess myself…”

“I don’t believe it,” said Aleena.

“We forgive you,” said Sonia. “But you had good points about what a princess back home was.”

“Well, the reason I want to be a princess is…is…!”

Gleam suddenly ran to Astral hugged him tightly crying.

“IT’S YOU OK ASTRAL! YOU’RE THE ONE ON PAGE ONE THIRTY-FOUR!”

“WHAT?! PAGE ONE THIRTY-FOUR OF WHAT?!”

Dusk put his hands in his pockets. “I’d tell you, but then I’d end up right back in the hospital.”

Everyone else laughed.

“Come on everybody!” said Taffy. “Group hug!”

The kids all came together clung to each other tightly. Lara looked over a Jani-Ca who smiled. “You know, in spite how it started this really did turn into the best summer ever.”


Sonic looked around in the dark. Something felt very, very off.

“No matter how fast you are, you can never outrun fate, or your place in the Grand Design.”

Sonic turned to see a human sized figure in gold fur, caracal ears and four red eyes; two as normal, one on his forehead, and one giant eye in his chest.

“Specter, no way, you’re supposed to be dead!”

“Not only supposed to be, I am.”

Sonic spin dashed Specter who vanished in a wisp of smoke.

“You think you have already won, the future ready to give its secrets, the precious children safe from a terrible fate, but none of you on either side of this battle knows the full extent of what has unfolded.”

Sonic turned and saw another Specter; he kicked him and again Specter turned to smoke.

“Enough games Masquerade!”

“But this has always been a game, one where we both are only pawns. But soon, the most important move of the game will be played, the capture of the king.”

“Why don’t you just give a straight answer for once in your miserable existence then go straight back to Hell!”

“Very well, you earned ONE little hint. Something that capsule could never tell you.”

Specter appeared in front of Sonic again with his old mask on a case. “Behind this mask is the face of the one who’s responsible for the corruption of the children, the face of the one who will ultimately destroy the world.”

Sonic took the mask off the case and opened it up, he found himself staring right into a mirror.

“HuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!”


Sonic woke up with a scream only to hear Sally scream right next to him.

“Sal, you ok?!”

 Sally took a deep breath. “I just had a nightmare; Specter was in it.”

Sonic felt his heart stop. “Did he show you a mirror and say you were the bad guy we’ve all been after?”

Sallt became wide eyed. “Y-yes! How did you know?!”

“I just had the same nightmare!”

Sally inched away. “Ok, this is WAY too strange. We’ve been through WAY too much lately, once we unpacked that capsule and send the kids back to the future you and I are going on that honeymoon. Maybe make it a three-month honeymoon.”

“Sounds good to me, we better get back aboard the snooze cruise.”

As they started to lay down Sonic noticed Sally was rubbing her hands intently, as the same time he felt a dull pain in his chest. However, exhaustion took them both before they could think of the Specter’s presence in their nightmares any further.

Chapter 35: Countdown to Zero

Summary:

The data capsule is finally decoded, and lays bare the truth of the Imperium's founding. Meanwhile, the Neo Walkers investigate a disturbance in the Chaos Force that can have devastating consequences for past present and future. As major discoveries are about to be made The Interloper Silver and the other had been hunting for all this time has finally makes their move.

Chapter Text

The Mourning Star flew silently and cloaked over the ocean until they came to the given coordinates. In the middle of the air a hanger door opened exposing the interior to the outside world. The base ship slipped inside, and the door closed making it appear as if nothing was there at all.

Once the ship had landed all the rectifiers stepped out of the vessel as Superior Prime floated over in his canopied chair. “The time is almost at hand, while the loss of Omicron One is heavy, her sacrifice ensures the birth of a new order in the universe.”

“With all due respect Superior,” said Manik. “We failed in our mission; our parents and our juvenile selves had taken all the emeralds we have collected.”

“While this is not the optimum outcome, the fact all the emeralds have been gathered in one place works to our advantage. Before the end of the day, they will be ours.” Just then several similar chairs to Superior Prime’s came floating in, these featuring grey canopies. “The superior council wishes to congratulate you all for all your hard work and sacrifice. Thanks to you we are on the verge of a new reality, a better reality.

Superior Prime turned to Lara. “During that mission however, it seems as if your limbic regulator was malfunctioning Alpha Three. During your time in The Garden did you have any strong emotional situations that might have been connected to this?”

Lara responded stoically, she felt something was off. “Just before the mission I was remembering those we lost along the way, I promised my son that we wouldn’t lose anyone else. The thought of that promise being broken so soon might have been too much for the regulator.”

If Superior Prime had any expression their response was shielded from view. “I see, this will need to be accounted for so close to the endgame. All rectifiers report to the laboratory for a diagnostic of your cybernetic and biological systems, we need you all in top condition for the final step of the plan, until then leave things to us.”

“Compliance,” all the rectifiers answered.

Outside the cloaked spire shimmered and warped, soon there was no sign anything was unusual over that patch of ocean.


Over in The Hideaway the kids were all watching a wall clock intently, each tick seemed to take longer than the last. Eventually Candy laid on her back and groaned. “Ugh, this decoding thing is taking forever! Can’t we just go home now and learn this stuff when it’s been done for twenty years?!”

“If we keep waiting for this, we’ll get back the long way!” whined Juanita.

“Look nobody likes waiting to know what all the fuss has been about,” said Eddie. “But too much can change between now and home. As much as we don’t like it you kids might have to act almost as soon as we get there.”

“It’s not like we can just go right now,” said Alexis. “Not with Kneecaps, Rora and Jackie taking a field trip.”

Lara looked in Alexis’ direction. “So, Dad decided to go ahead and let Uncle Kneecaps see grandma. I mean I did run into her while I was pretending to be Maril-In on that training trip to Angel Island and that was speed. But it’s kind of unfair I wasn’t asked.”

“This is just as much for your grandmother, set her mind at ease, even if she might not know exactly why. Jackie and Rora are mostly there for moral support. It’s not like we’re going to leave without them.”

“It’s not just about us going home!” said Manik. “That capsule is the whole reason we were dragged back here in the first place, of course I want to know what’s in it! It’s like waiting for the morning after Brightstar Eve to open presents! The fact that the only thing between us and that is a progress bar is agonizing!”

“Can’t be helped,” said Eddie. “But just think back to just how much you’ve all grown since this started, you’re far from the unhappy campers you started as.”

“Yeah,” Sonia said. “Camp might have been a disaster, but it did bring us together, just not the way our parents thought.”

“Well, we need some way to pass the time until it is ready,” said Melody.

“I know it’s been a while and we kind of outgrown it,” said Mellow. “But maybe we could watch an episode of Prism Pals, for old times’ sake?”

“It hasn’t been made yet,” said Salma. “But, thinking back on it I loved just talking about it with all of you when we were little.”

Ace gave a resigned groan that Gale, Rutan and Gleam joined in on. “Feels a bit sappy at this point, but it was fun when we were dumb tykes.”

“Does anyone know how it ended?” asked Gasket. “I mean I was too caught up with dealing with the Synaptix stuff and by the time we got to a resemblance of normal the last season was already over.”

All Gasket got back was a series of shrugged shoulders and shaking heads.

“Ok,” Manik muttered. “Sometime after we get home we’ll pick up where we left off and go to end of Prism Pals, but I think we all can agree nobody else should know we’re finishing up a cartoon intended for preschoolers.”

“I’ll take that secret to my grave,” said Ajax.

Going back to watching the clock Lara found herself singing softly.

“Clear blue skies and warm sunny days, we have to find the light within, for whatever comes our way, our great adventure’s about to begin…”


Sally entered Sir Charles’ lab; the data capsule was hooked up to a computer as Nicole looked at its monitor manually decoding parts she recognized. “Almost done,” the lynx said. “Just one or two layers left.”

Sally took a deep breath. “Nicole, can I ask you a strange question? Have you had any odd dreams last night?”

“I dreamt I was a program again and beat up Phage with a digital super form I got from red star rings, but I’m chalking that up to me coming off my caffeine high.”

“You didn’t dream about Specter?”

Nicole’s face turned sour. “Why would I dream about that mental parasite?”

Sally sighed. “Sonic and I both had the same dream. Specter taunted us, said he knew was who responsible for the Imperium and our kids’ becoming rectifiers, then he shown us a mirror before we woke up.”

“And you thought the rest of us would have the same dream?”

“Yes, but after asking around it just seems to be the two of us. It can’t be coincidence.”

“Maybe it’s just your worries about the children and the future of Mobius. You two tend to invest yourselves more in this fight than anyone else.”

“Then why was it Specter in our dream? He was taken out almost three months ago now.”

“I’m still new to this dreaming thing, seems like nonsense most of the time, I wouldn’t worry too much about it.” The computer beeped and Nicole turned back to the monitor. “Decoding complete! Let’s have everyone meet at Acorn Army HQ so we can all hear this at once!”


Athair entered the living room of his house and spotted his wife Crystal-La doting over the baby Aurora and Enerjak laying on a mat on the floor. He came up to her and smiled. “I’m sorry you were never able to do this with Locke, but I’m so glad we can enjoy moments like these in the twilight of our lives.”

Crystal-La turned and smiled. “I’ve always understood why you had to take Saber with you, but I’m happy that Knuckles and Julie decided that tradition and family shouldn’t be at odds with each other.”

The two-diapered clad puggles babbled at the elderly couple.

“Still, it is quite an honor we’ve been given. Nurturing our goddess of life reborn and the protecting the innocence of the god of destruction redeemed by her love, whatever the actual nature of their power that is how many will want to see it.”

“Which is why we cannot let anyone know who they are for a good long time. Aurora wanted them both to have a clean slate unburdened by the past, a chance for their love to truly rekindle. But for now, I guess they’re willing to settle for being playmates.”

Crystal-La nodded. “I heard you were communing with the Master Emerald, any new insights?”

“I think me, Relic and Tikal might have found something interesting about Chaos. Relic had always assumed he was originally a Chao that had mutated into his current form, but with Tikal’s insight Relic developed a theory that Chaos’ mutation might have brought him closer to an ancestor of the chao, one that didn’t seem to exist before the gene bombs. There might have been some truth about an uncommon legend in our people’s history, that we and even the Ancient Walkers didn’t discover the power of the first chaos emeralds, but rather were taught. The Ancients might have once been real.”

“Who are the Ancients?”

Athair sighed. “It was one of things the Ancient Walkers had promised to teach us before they sacrificed themselves, but I recall The Brotherhood found scraps of tales about a tribe of people who tried to nurture and shepherd all mobians before they suddenly vanished.”

Crystal tapped her chin as she pondered. “I remember in Albion there were old tablets mentioning a hidden land called the Starfall Islands, do you think that the two stories are connected?”

“Perhaps. It is just a curiosity for now but one that…ARGH!”

Athair suddenly clutched his head in pain, the two puggles also began crying as if something was hurting them.

“Athair!”

A couple of more screams came from outside, a moment later Knuckles burst into the house. “Is everyone here alright?!”

Athair was breathing hard while the two babies were crying their lungs out while Crystal-La tried to soothe them. “I, I felt something in the Chaos Force, the puggles must have felt it too.”

“I didn’t feel anything,” said Knuckles. “Is it because you were a Neo Walker?”

“Perhaps, but if that’s so at most Merlin would have been the only other one to have felt it. Why did I feel others sense it outside?”

Knuckles turned to Crystal-La. “I, need Athair to speak with me alone, guardian business.” Crystal-La nodded Knuckles escorted Athair outside. “I need you to come with me but get ready for a shock.”

They rounded a corner and found to a pair of young adult echidna, a pink female and red male. Athair immediately recognized one of them. “Aurora?!”

“Gramps?” the male asked. “What’s going on!? We shouldn’t be meeting like this!”

Athair sighed. “You must be Enerjak, you’re both from the future, aren’t you?”

“What was with that?” Aurora asked. “It felt like my brain was being ripped apart from the inside!”

“Something is happening with the Chaos Force,” said Athair. “Your strong connection to it must have left you vulnerable to it.”

“What connection?! We’re just college students who took camp counselor jobs out of nostalgia and got pulled back in time!”

“I don’t think they were told,” said Knuckles. “About who they…once were.”

Athair sighed. “We need to reach Merlin, figure this out.”

“I am already ahead of you!”

Merlin suddenly teleported in with a pair of college age squirrels. “Things are moving quickly, I thought having Alexis and Edward here might be important for what we need to do. Knuckles you must head back to Freedom City, that data capsule has been decoded and while I also want to understand the vision that I saw thanks to the Nocimonorcen this incident requires the attention of the Neo Walkers, empowered or not.”

“I understand,” Knuckles nodded. He took out the Guiding Star Gem and vanished.

“Neo Walkers!?” Enerjak asked. “What are you talking about?!”

“Athair,” Merlin said taking out the white book with gold wing shaped clasps. “I need you to tell them while I prepare a spell of astral projection, it is the best way for the four of us to see what is happening in the Chaos Force. It’s best we do this at the Master Emerald, we can use its power to bridge the gap more easily between the physical world and the chaos force.” He then turned to Alexis and Eddie. “While that is happening, I need you two to watch over our bodies once our spirits are within the chaos force.”

Alexis nodded. “I’ll go get Kneecaps; the kids might have that big destiny but that doesn’t mean we can’t step up when it counts!”

Aurora waved at Athair and Merlin. “Excuse me but how and more importantly why are me and Jackie involved in this?!”

Athair sighed. “I wasn’t expecting to do this so soon, particularly since from my perspective you’re only just starting to even reach for things you want. But you two weren’t named after Aurora and Enerjak, you ARE them reborn.”


A small auditorium had been set aside for the Freedom Fighters in the headquarters of the Acorn Army, Lara came in with Knuckles followed by the other children. “First, we were bored now things are moving at Mach speed. First Merlin comes in takes Alexis and Eddie out of nowhere now you tell us not only is the capsule ready but there’s some chaos force thing going on that might have hurt Rora and Jackie?!”

“I’m not sure but don’t worry,” said Knuckles. “We won’t let you go home without them.”

Nicole set up the data capsule up on stage. “This is it, the moment of truth.”

Nicole pressed a few buttons on the capsule as the hologram of Red Knight projected itself without stopping.

“This is a warning from the year 3438 P.X.E. This data capsule contains vital information to be delivered to the Robotnick Ascendancy or the Freedom Fighters. It can’t be intercepted by wrong hands, or the fate of the galaxy will be one dominated by a hostile force. Commencing identity scan now.”

The capsule swept a green laser harmlessly over the room. “Freedom Fighters confirmed, approximate year estimated, compiling message.”

“Still a bit hard to believe it was Robotnick the whole time,” said Gold. “Did he really change or was it all a power play?”

“After obtaining high level access data from Superior Prime’s personal terminal I have been able to determine the timeline of events that had led to the founding of the Mobius Imperium, their subsequent takeover of the Milky Way and their ultimate goal behind it all. According to history as Imperium citizens know it by the middle of the next century a global attack using a combination of specially designed nanites, a designer computer virus and neural based weaponry had wiped the memories of the entire planet, an event referred to as ‘Day Zero’…”


The Rectifiers entered familiar tubes that filled up with a clear fluid as wires attached to them.

“Entering diagnostic mode,” their suits’ onboard computer said. “Note unbidden recall of memories may occur and is normal.”

Lara-Su fell unconscious as the system did its work, soon in a dream like state things began coming back to her.


220th day of 3453 P.X.E. (Day Zero)

Lara-Su lay on the hospital bed looking at the “nest” for her recently laid egg that was currently empty while the doctors took it for a checkup. Argyle was probably at the party her friends and family were having while she took the moment to rest, laying an egg wasn’t as painful as live birth but it still took a lot out of her.

Suddenly there was a knock on the door.

“Come in,” Lara said.

A curvy white hedgehog woman wearing makeup and jewelry came walking in with a magazine and a smile. “How you feelin’ Red?”

“Gleam,” Lara chuckled weakly. “I thought you were doing a photo shoot back in Central City.”

Gleam gave a playful smirk. “As if I would not be here for your biggest moment, someone needs to keep your ego in check.”

Lara smirked back. “I kept yours in check just as much, if not more, over the years.”

“Well just to remind you other things are happening, look who made the cover of Ishtar Magazine.” Lara looked at the cover of the fashion mag where Gleam was posing front and center looking oddly attractive and dangerous at the same time. “I like to think I’ve shown both sides of myself, the battler and the beauty.”

Lara giggled as she set the magazine aside. “Have you seen Argyle? I know it’s only been about an hour or so but accepting congratulations from everyone is bound to keep him busy.”

“Not yet, crowd’s a bit too large so I thought I’d see you while you’re still resting up. This is a big thing, the first child of the Future Freedom Fighters. You two were in a bigger hurry to get married and start a family than the rest of us, of course you didn’t really have paparazzi to deal with like me and Astral. But I get the feeling now things are…” Gleam stopped at the room’s window. “Lara if you feel up for it get over here.”

Lara-Su slowly got out of bed and looked out the window, in the courtyard outside Manik and Aleena were sitting on a bench, from their angle they could easily see he was palming a ring box.

“He’s finally going to do it,” Lara said smiling. “He’s going to ask her.”

“I think a dam’s about to break with all of us,” Gleam said. "Lots of weddings and babies in our future.”

Down below Aleena looked at Manik with anticipation. “Ok, why did you bring me out here?” She already knew but played along for them both.

Manik gulped. “Well, everyone is so excited about Lara and Argyle’s baby that I didn’t want to get in the way but it wouldn’t be fair to you so I decided first it would just be the two of us then if you want, we’d tell everyone after the egg hatched…” Manik could feel his heart race as he went down on one knee, he just knew Aleena’s was racing too. He showed the pink hedgehog the box and opened it. “Aleena, will you…”

He saw Aleena’s eyes widen; her gaze wasn’t on him or the ring but behind him. As he turned the two ladies in the window also turned, a bright light was coming over the horizon, the young man so stunned he didn’t notice he dropped the box that held the engagement ring, rolling under the bench out of sight. Soon the light swept over the hospital just as it had the rest of the world.

 The light soon faded; the two hedgehogs looked at each other confused. “I, I can’t remember a thing!”

“W-who am?! Where am I?!”

“W-what am I doing here?” the echidna woman asked. “Why do I hurt?”

The white hedgehog looked at the now blank magazine on the bedside stand and began flipping through it. “I don’t believe it, there’s nothing in here! These pages are all blank! I-I know how to do things but names, dates, places, all of them are gone!”

From the sounds of panic coming from the hall and courtyard no one was alone in their predicament.


Back in the present at the Shrine of the Master Emerald Rora and Jackie were reeling from Athair’s explanation. “I-I did all that?” Jackie said trembling. “Those horrible things...”

“Jackie that was a whole other life,” said Aurora. “If anything, I’m disgusted with myself for not trying to save you back then, because I was afraid of even more heart break.”

“I know it’s a lot to process,” said Athair. “But right now, we need to find out what is wrong with the chaos force and if you can both feel it, we need your help and better to involve you as you are then yourselves as puggles.”

Merlin drew a chalk circle around the Master Emerald. “The preparations are finished.”

Athair nodded and turned to Kneecaps, Eddie and Alexis. “Since we don’t have our full power, the best we can do is use this spell Merlin found to astral project into the chaos force. While this is happening, our bodies will be vulnerable, so we’ll need you to watch over them.”

“And if my brother or the rest of the Freedom Fighters say it’s time for us to go back home?” asked Kneecaps.

“Explain what’s happening, hopefully they can delay or repeat this Chronos Control,” Merlin said as he sat down in the lotus position. “Once we are in the chaos force remember our astral forms can act only as observers. If there is something wrong our best bet is to inform Knuckles of the danger.

The four then held hands next to the emerald and closed their eyes, once they were in a void of swirling light their bodies semitranslucent.

“Trust your instincts,” said Athair. “What seems wrong here?”

“That is a question I can answer.”

They turned to see a glowing cyan bird with luminous yellow eyes.

Merlin’s eyes widened “A chaos titan!?”

“What you felt were ripples within the Chaos Force that are reaching out to your world, why we do not know but the source has been identified. Come with me.”

The cyan titan flew through the Chaos Force as the other four followed behind. After a distance that was impossible to determine they stopped before a creature of mind shattering scale. A roaring horned being with six glowing eyes and four arms each ending at a six fingered claw that each looked big enough to grab and crush Mobius if they weren’t held firmly in place by a glowing chain that slowly vanished into the ether. Its chest was open exposing a hideous beating glowing heart the size of their world.

“T-this…” Enerjak trembled. “I-I remember this feeling, this dread!”

“Why?!” Aurora quaked. “Part of me wants to hate it but it’s just as quickly swallowed by terror!”

“We have encountered this being before,” said Athair. “Our tempter and torturer that robbed us of our power as Neo Walkers.”

“The puppet master behind Specter and the order that came to bear his name,” said Merlin. “The one who came so close to enslaving Mobius.”

“The being who in this iteration of reality hastened and deepened Enerjak’s corruption.” The Bird Titan said. “The eternal being of the primeval void sealed here by myself and my siblings, Ixis.”

Ixis gave a roar that echoed throughout the chaos force.


“A world without memory, without history, a mass panic was inevitable,” The image of Red Knight continued.

“It wouldn’t just be the factual stuff,” Mina cried. “My music, ALL music, I-I just can’t imagine all of it being gone.”

“Add to that between humans, overlanders, mobians of various types and seedrians with no knowledge on how so many intelligent species came together had sparked paranoia between them. Eventually some records were found that miraculously survived Day Zero, records we later confirmed were total fabrications, but everyone was so desperate for any kind of past that the possibility was rarely considered.

“According to this false history Humans had enslaved mobians for millennia with the overlanders acting as overseers. The mobians supposedly liberated themselves centuries earlier and welcomed the seedrian refugees in recent years. Needless the say the humans had mostly disbelieved this, caution was warned by some but then messages came from mobians claiming to be the leaders of their government that had put themselves into hiding during the initial attack. Remaining in the shadows this group calling itself the Superior Council produced “evidence” that the attack was instigated by the humans in order enslave the mobians again only to also fall victim to it. While the population was divided on the issue it was during this time the council revealed their own weapon. A cadre of elite warriors called Rectifiers.”

Julie-Su tightened her grip on her chair.


“They were ruthless…”

One month after Day Zero

 

The chipmunk stirred and opened her eyes, she was in a tube and wearing a black set of armor with a face covering helmet. “Wha, how’d I get here? What am I wearing?”

“Attention subjects,” said a voice that sounded familiar to the chipmunk. A voice that sent a chill down her spine. “This exercise will be the final evaluation before determining which subject is optimal for final testing. For this test we’ll be pulling from your school days, we’re playing the task game.”

“Task game?” asked the chipmunk. “What’s going on?!”

“All subjects: take a look at your left wrist.”

The chipmunk raised her hand and saw a wristband with a digital readout that said. “Lara-Su: steal Manik’s helmet.”

“Lara-Su?” the chipmunk asked. “Is that my name? Who is Manik?”

“The name and task on the wristband aren’t yours, it belongs to one of the other test subjects.”

“This guy knows who I am?!”

“The deadline is one hour once the evaluation begins, find and complete your task by the deadline to pass, those who fail to do so will be eliminated, permanently.”

“I have to find who I am and what I need to do or die?!”

“The wristbands cannot be removed until the evaluation ends, its bearer cannot finish their task resulting in elimination or they are eliminated by other means. Obviously the fastest and surest way to find your task is to learn them all and the fastest way to learn a task is to eliminate the one who is wearing it. Once the predetermined number of subjects move from the evaluation all others will be eliminated. The number of subjects moving on from this evaluation is…one.”

The chipmunk began hyper ventilating. “No one can trust each other in this task game, only one may pass so the only way to survive is to kill everyone else and hopefully have enough time to do everything.”

“Your hour begins…now.”

A digital timer came up on the helmet’s HUD counting down from 60:00. The front of the tube slid up and the chipmunk stepped out into domed area with several other tubes stretching up into the ceiling. The chipmunk began to feel an overwhelming panic and rage, she turned her head until she caught sight of a similarly dressed female seedrian.

“I-I-I’m gonna live!” The chipmunk formed a pair of blades from the rings on her wrists.                                     

The seedrian then grew thorny vines from her back. “I-I-I must survive!”

The fight had gotten very intense, just when it seemed one got the upper hand either the other would pull a reverse or someone would step in mixing an ongoing fight with theirs. Time consistently ticked down.

“The first task with a time limit will expire at ten minutes until deadline.” The voice said over the PA.

“I need to end this now!” said the monkey currently fighting the squirrel. “I need…!”

Suddenly every subject was hit with a massive electric shock.

“Who are you?!” the voice said. “I can still…ARGH!”

Whatever happened next the squirrel blacked out before she could learn.


“…completely loyal to the council…”

The fox opened his eyes and saw he was back in a tube, this time floating in a liquid.

“Ah, you’re awake.”

The fox turned to see a mobian masked and clothed in such a way as to not be able to determine his species.

“It’s ok, you and the others are safe here. None of you had died and your injuries were within our means of treatment. Tell me, how do you feel?”

“Feel? I feel…nothing.”

“Good, we were able to reverse the limbic regulators that doctor implanted in you and the others. He was intensifying your emotions, by putting you in a life-or-death situation you had no way to control your anger and fear.”

The fox oddly wished he could feel shame. “I-I never thought I’d want to hurt someone so badly, not even to save myself.”

“Even if you were a criminal before Day Zero?”

“Day Zero?”

“That’s what people are calling it, all these weeks later and still nobody can remember who they are.”

The fox touched the glass. “…I might not be able to remember my past or my name, but I still got a sense of who ‘me’ is, and that sense says I had at least always tried to do what’s right.”

“We still need to keep the limbic regulators on for now, your hormonal balance had been thrown completely off.”

“…I understand.”

“You don’t have to worry about your captor anymore but…he was working for those behind Day Zero. Some very powerful people, we can tell you and the others more once you have fully recovered.”

The fox nodded. “Did…that guy know who I was?”

“…If he did, he managed to erase that information before we could find you. All we do know is that each of you is gifted in various ways and we could use those gifts to not only restore peace to this world but ensure it for the rest of the galaxy from what we’ve been able to piece together.”

“I…see, in that case I wish to apologize to the others. After that, I think we’ll be able to decide what to do from there.”

“The others mostly felt the same, at the very least they all want the air cleared. I promise you; we’ll do all we can to find recover everyone’s past.”

The tube was drained of liquid, the fox stepped out shakily. “We…owe you…everything.”


“…And seemingly unable to be defeated.”

Epsilon Two looked on as the rest of his task group attacked a heavy metal door that was groaning under the strain as it was dented by several heavy thuds. The lynx was focused on listening to those on the other side through his suit’s equipment as he placed other devices around the door. This was one of the last major armed holdouts of the humans, peace on Mobius at least was almost in their grasp. Epsilon Two finished tuning in.

“We’re out of options!” said one young man. “Maybe if we turn over the weapons in this base and ourselves, they’d at least let the kids go! I mean even if what they’re claiming about us is true, they wouldn’t hold that against them! Would they!?”

 “I’ve seen what these rectifiers can do, once they are given a mission they won’t stop until it’s done, or they’re told to by the council.” Came a feminine voice.

“I still find it hard to believe,” said a gruffer male. “Most of your kind want us dead and you’re here willing to stand against those killing machines.”

“I…I’m just trying to make amends for letting myself follow that mob. I was so afraid after Day Zero it felt so good to have ‘someone’ to lash out at, but after a few years I just began to feel ugly about it. What did it really accomplish? All most of us really got back was their names.”

If his regulator wasn’t on Epsilon Two knew he’d be jealous, none of his comrades got their names back, not yet anyway.

“I was happy at first, Cassidy Ellidy, that was who I am; but I began to wonder who Cassie was. Was she the type to hold a grudge? That day I realized none of us were any closer to knowing who we were despite how righteous we felt.”

“Well, I think I know who you are in the way that really matters,” came another female along with heavy metallic footsteps. “One of the good guys.”

“Scan complete,” said the lynx. “Opposition consists of one hot shot walker, twenty beetle drones, ten hunter robots, a dozen humans and one subversive.”

“Acknowledged,” said the hawk/swallow as he and a flying squirrel pounded on the door. “The enemy is running on fumes.”

“Orders received from HQ,” said the walrus/seal. “The subversive is to be taken in for questioning if possible.”

Epsilon Two nodded and took out a remote. “Understood Epsilon One, stand clear.”

The Lynx pressed the button causing the door to be blasted off its frame.

As soon as the door came down the hawk/sparrow and flying squirrel swept in and took out most of the resistance in seconds. Cassie was spared thinking seeing such a display would break her will to fight, it at least shook her enough for Epsilon Two to grab her.

“You are under arrest for subversion of world security and have been deemed hazardous,” the lynx said. “Comply or termination will be authorized.”

Cassie gave a defeated sigh, then suddenly grabbed the detonator remote. “Whatever we deserve for this horror we’ll be facing it together!”

Cassie lifted the safety off only to be struck by a laser blast from Epsilon One. The detonator was dropped but caught by the flying squirrel. Epsilon Two looked into the girl’s eyes.

“I-is that you? I…had…a bi…”

Cassie closed her eyes and fell limp.

“Apologies,” said Epsilon One. “The standing order to minimize rectifier casualties where possible superseded the capture order.”

“Acknowledged,” said Epsilon Two. “I doubt we will be disciplined.”

“Either way the mission is complete,” said the hawk/sparrow. “We are to return to base for debriefing, a cleanup crew will be by shortly.”

“Compliance,” the three remaining rectifiers echoed as they left the scene of the massacre behind.


“In the following decades after the Imperium established their hold on Mobius,” Red Knight continued in the auditorium. “An army mostly consisting of advanced drones backed by The Rectifiers had forced most resistance underground. Planets that surrendered were forced to provide resources and manufacture components for immense structures called Chaos Spires, large spaceborn structures designed to combine and release the energies of a Chaos and Sol Emerald of matching colors into a single beam.

“The beams themselves are harmless but if focused on single point either through the Master Emerald or across interstellar distances from strategic points they could tear a hole directly into the chaos force. If two arrays focus the on the same point in different time periods it would create a singularity that could rapidly spread the energies of the chaos force into the physical universe throughout history, allowing them to rewrite reality however they see fit.”

“Does that mean rewriting people too?” Candy whimpered.

“This is real end of the world stuff,” said Argyle as he tried to stroke his little sister.

“For 170 years we managed to keep the white Chaos Emerald out of the Imperium’s clutches,” Red Knight continued. “But it was only a matter of time until they found us. The Superior Council will try to get the emeralds of your time and try to focus them through the Master Emerald. No matter what happens, whatever the cost that needs to be paid, whatever it takes you must prevent this from happening!”

The hologram of Red Knight vanished as the data capsule powered down.

“Well, we finally got Red Knight’s message,” said Silver. “Too bad they couldn’t find The Interloper who started all this.”

“Once we send these kids home, we’ll both have to do our parts,” said Knuckles. “First step for me will be to re-double the security on the Master Emerald.”

Gold stood up. “Give me hour or two and I should be able to ready the memory suppression so while we won’t remember the kids, we will remember what we learned here,” she then turned to Aura. “However, I’m going to need your help to make sure MY memories are suppressed.”

“So, this is it,” Aura sighed. “Time to say goodbye, at least to the versions of you in this time.”

“Only for about a day when you get home, give you some time readjust. After that, I bet we’ll all have a lot of catching up over what happened these last few weeks.”

Suddenly a sound came from Bunnie’s forearm. “That’s my emergency line!” She pressed a button on her arm. “Freedom Fighters, what’s ya’ll’s problem?!”

“The vault is under attack!” came the voice on the other end. “They somehow got the access codes to…AGH!”

“Ya’ll still there?! Respond!”

Bunnie only got static back.

“Isn’t the vault where all the emeralds are right now?!” asked Brawn.

“Without those we can’t get home!” gasped Taffy.

Tails’ Miles Electric then went off, he switched it on to find Amadeus Prower was on the screen. “Dad!?”

“Tails we have an emergency up here! The city shield is down and our defensive weapons have been deactivated! We tried to reverse it but all the access codes have been changed on us!”

“Someone’s making a move on the vault, probably our saboteur. We’ll stop ‘em and get the changed codes from them!” Tails began to turn. “Sonic! We gotta…!”

He found the hedgehog was already gone and the door out was wide open.

“Didn’t have to wait on us!” said Sally. “Let’s go Freedom Fighters!”


Within the chaos force Ixis roared as he pulled against his chains. Jackie gritted his teeth. “No, what you want to tell me won’t work this time! Rora and I are going to be happy together, there’s nothing you can say to tempt me!”

Ixis continued to bellow.

“You’re not the only one who needs to be on guard,” said Merlin.  “Last time we nearly lost Aurora to his corruption as well when she got close trying to get back the kind Enerjak she once knew. You two were only saved when she used the last of her energy and willpower return you both to the egg!”

“And when we refused, he drained our Neo Walker powers almost completely!” added Athair. “Keep your distance and ignore anything he might say!”

Another roar as the void deity pulled against the chains of light.

Jackie gritted his teeth. “No, not this time, not again! Whatever you do!”

“REEEEEEEGH!”

Enerjak’s expression of determined rage was quickly replaced by confusion. “Why isn’t he doing anything?”

Merlin sighed with relief. “Perhaps we’re lucky, he’s still raging over Specter’s defeat preventing him from escaping.”

“No,” Aurora said quietly. “Something feels off about him, wrong.”

Athair turned to young woman. “Your memories, they’re returning?”

Aurora shook her head. “Just feelings, echoes. But Ixis isn’t like he was last time.”

Aurora looked at Ixis cautiously. “There was evil and anger, but also cunning, a vast intelligence that had plans within plans, wheels within wheels. That’s gone now, I don’t see a great tempter.”

Aurora turned, seeming more afraid of her own ignorance than Ixis.

“All I see here, is a beast.”

Ixis stopped roaring and pulling to give a low chuckle.


As the team made it into the vault’s control room the security lain unconscious and the door leading to the emeralds was wide open.

“Sonic!” Tails yelled. “Did you find the intruder?! Are the emeralds still safe?”

Sonic slowly walked out of the emerald room, the gems orbiting around him in two circles. But surprising Tails more was the fact that Sonic’s quills had darkened to a navy blue, his eyes now a darker shade of green, a dark blue aura emanated from him, and a wicked looking smile was on his face.

“Uh that’s an interesting look,” Honey said worriedly. “Trying to fit in with Shadow’s team as some kind of Dark Sonic? Whatever it is maybe you should take the emeralds back into the vault.”

“The emeralds are right where they belong,” Dark Sonic said with strangely sinister tone. “Or they will be soon enough.”

“Uh Dad?” Manik said shaking. “I never heard of you using this power before, are you ok?”

“Sonic,” Knuckles growled. “Did you do this?! What’s with this new form?!”

“Sonic, we need the emeralds to send the kids home!” said Blaze. “Whatever all this is you can explain later!”

“I don’t answer to you princess, or anyone,” Sonic said darkly. “I am going to use their power to open the way to the chaos force, trying to resist will only result in pain.”

“Dad, I don’t understand!” cried Sonia. “This is exactly what the bad guys want!”

“What Superior Prime wants is only important because I can use it to get what I want.”

Shadow began charging Dark Sonic. “Not if I stop you here and now!”

Shadow threw a punch only for Dark Sonic to evade and counter with an elbow to the back of the head.

“Shadow!” Rouge yelled.

Knuckles ran up to Dark Sonic, his fist clenched. “Maybe this will knock some sense into you!”

Tails began to speed over holding a wrench like a club, tears in his eyes. “This is going to hurt me more than you!”

Dark Sonic sped around them as they swung, grabbed Tails by his namesakes then spun him into Knuckles send them crashing against a wall.

“You’re right, it did hurt you more.”

Blaze ran towards Dark Sonic, used her flames towards the floor propelling her over him in a flip. Silver stood opposite her as they shot a bolt of flame and a blade of psychic energy at Dark Sonic. In a flash Dark Sonic vanished causing the two attacks to pass in midair and hit the other attacker before he stepped back in.

“My turn now.”

Dark Sonic leapt in the air and curled into a ball. A few Freedom Fighters moved to cover the unconscious guards.

“Stay back!”

Big pushed the kids out of the room and blocked the door with his body, Bunnie and Antione did the same with Sally.

“If he ended up doing anything to you Sally girl, he’d never forgive himself when we get ‘em back to normal!”

Dark Sonic spun in midair and shot several quills from himself covering the room, everyone not covered soon grimaced as the quills pierced their skin.

“Sonic stop please!” Sally screamed.

Dark Sonic turned to Sally and lowered himself to the floor.

“Whatever is happening to you we can find a solution together. This isn’t you, don’t break my heart.” Sally buried her face in his chest and started to sob. “I just can’t believe…”

Suddenly Sally’s sobs sounded more like a laugh. Suddenly she turned around and everyone saw her eyes were now glowing like hot coals.

“…Just how gullible you all are!”

“Ze Princess too?!” groaned Antione. “What did he do to you?!

“He did nothing to me, I’ve just been helping him. Who do you think changed those codes?!”

The Chaos Emeralds entered Dark Sonic, his quills became pitch black, his eyes glowed an intense white and his mouth seemed to vanish from his muzzle. With a gesture Dark Sonic blew the ceiling away exposing a sky that was rapidly becoming cloudy.

“If you want answers” Dark Sonic said but none could see how. “Then come to the Central Control Spire, that is if you can make it past the defenses.”

Both Sonia and Manik came running towards them. “Mom! Dad! Wait!”

Dark Sonic flew through the hole carrying Sally. The two went up a high before Dark Sonic opened his palm.

“Chaos control.”

A colossal aura of darkness spread out only to fade as Angel Island appeared in its place.

As the people in the city and island began to panic the sky between them warped and shimmered until a massive tower like structure materialized.

Knuckles narrowed his eyes then gasped. “That tower, the tip is right under the emerald shrine!”

“That’s a chaos spire!” said Gold. “Those are what the Imperium had been powering the emeralds of the future with!”

Silver watched as a black light entered the tower. “And Sonic just delivered the emeralds of the past right to this one!”


After completing their rejuvenation the rectifiers came into a large chamber that stretched all the way to the tip of the tower and took fighting stances as he let Dark Sally go and stand before them.

“Surrender,” said Manik. “Or prepare to be rectified.”

“Rectifiers stand down,” Superior Prime said as their canopied chair and those of the council hovered into the room. “We were expecting them to come.”

The rest of the council’s chairs moved towards the wall and docked forming a circle where they seemed to watch.

Dark Sonic levitated the sixteen emeralds up and into conduits along the wall. The conduits were in pillars where chaos and sol of matching colors pulsed energy into a central point far overhead.

“Everything is in place,” said Dark Sally. “Soon the Imperium will fulfill its purpose then past, present and future will be remade.”

“I still don’t” understand,” said Lara-Su. “They’re the enemy.”

“Far from it,” chuckled Superior Prime. “The imperium as you know wouldn’t have existed if it weren’t for one interloper who stands before you. Sonic the Hedgehog.”


Up at the emerald shrine Alexis and Eddie looked in horror as a beam of rainbow light came from the tower below, through the ground and trough the Master emerald which enlarged the beam as it left the atmosphere and collied with seven separate beams of light that seemed to fade into existence only to hit at a single point out in space. Alexis turned to the former neo walker’s unconscious bodies worriedly. “Rora,” Alexis squeaked. “Whatever it is you’re all doing you better finish it, fast!”


“What do mean his mind is gone?” asked Enerjak. “What could cause that to something that immensely powerful?!”

The planet sized form of Ixis continued to wordlessly laugh.

“How could we have not seen this?” Everyone turned to the cyan bird chaos titan. “We thought our seal was perfect, he was bound to the chaos force, his power can be called out, but he can’t slip through the same way. But beings like us, like him, are more than consciousness, we are ideas, thoughts, and if the right window is open those CAN escape. Even we cannot stop an idea from being thought.”

Athair looked back to Ixis. “So, this…is just a body or essence with instinct, his mind or soul is in longer here?!”

Ixis laughed even harder.

“We have been deceived,” the titan continued. “I must go back to the others, prepare new champions. You must return to your reality. May the light of creation protect us all.”

The titan vanished as the group gasped as if waking from a nightmare.

“Your timing couldn’t be better!” said Eddie as he approached the group. “The whole island just suddenly was transported above Freedom City, this tower showed up below us and shot this beam through the Master Emerald and into space, and we have no idea what’s going on!”

Athair picked up his staff with a growl. “Much more than it appears, we will need to contact Knuckles and the Freedom Fighters as soon as we figure out the meaning of Ixis’ mind leaving his spiritual body.”

Aurora looked downward towards the tower. “All this happening at once, it can’t be coincidence.”

Merlin picked up his own staff. “I agree, but to find out the connection need to find out how Ixis’ mind escaped and more importantly, where is it now?”


Sonic groaned, he couldn’t even tell when he fell asleep. It was pitch black but he felt heavy chains attached to his limbs and wrapped around the rest of his body. He pulled with all his might but even as his vision started to return the chains wouldn’t budge.

“Where am I?! Let me out of here!”

“Sonic?!” Sonic heard Sally yell. He turned and found her in the same predicament he was in. “I can’t activate my ring blades for some reason!”

Sonic tried to spin but the chains wouldn’t budge. “My quills aren’t working either, just where are we?!”

“Where your speed and cunning cannot help either of you,” said a deep guttural voice. “Within your own minds and the space between them. Your kind calls it the Collective Unconscious.”

A set of six glowing eyes appeared between them.

“Ok next question,” Sonic growled. “Who are you?”

“You already know, deep within.”

Sally then clenched her teeth. “Ixis, but you’re supposed to be trapped in the Chaos Force!”

“My spiritual form is, my mind however found an opening, one you are well too aware of.”

Sonic felt a sharp pain in his chest as he remembered taking Specter’s sword to land the final blow on him. Then words he half remembered as he hung on the edge of life and death.

“A perfect vessel, capable of withstanding the raw power of the Chaos Force…Now I understand…”

“No way, Masquerade’s dead, he failed!”

“Yes and no, he tried to take your body, but I never revealed to him that the perfect vessel was never meant for him, but for me.”

Sonic pulled as hard as he could. “If it’s me you want then let Sal go!”

“But having her is why I needed you, your body is now a living phylactery, one through which I could also possess others. Such as when the princess cut her hands trying to save you, since then I had been hiding in your minds studying, learning through mortal eyes as to set into motion the powers and soldiers I need to release my spiritual form onto this universe where I can reshape it.”

Sally felt a sharp pain in her hands as a realization struck her. “What Silver and Gold saw, it wasn’t Sonic’s death they were supposed to prevent, it was you taking our bodies!”

“Time has looped back on itself, soon I won’t need a future with the Mobius Imperium anymore.”

Suddenly it was like they could see two things at once, them as Ixis’ prisoners and them handing the emeralds over to Superior Prime and The Rectifiers.

“Soon your mission will be fulfilled,” they heard Dark Sonic say. “There will be no war…”

“…there will be no peace…” Ixis laughed as a head formed around the eyes.

“…there will be no pain…”

 A torso formed “…there will be no joy…”

“…there will be no evil…”

Four arms appeared each ending in a six clawed hand. “…there will be no good…”

“…there will be no death…”

Now a pair of powerful looking legs held up the body. “…there will be no life…”

“…there will only be a perfect universe.”

The void god laughed madly as a glowing beating hear appeared inside his chest. “…THERE WILL ONLY BE, IXIS!”

Series this work belongs to: