Actions

Work Header

Another Name for the Devil

Chapter 12: Epilogue

Notes:

This is it!!! We did it!!! I am: very emotional.

Chapter Text

Hongjoong ran a hand through his hair, pushing it back out of his face. It still felt a little strange, no longer having that familiar long fringe at his neck, but he’d decided to chop it all off and dye it a deep blue-gray some time ago. Maybe it had been a newly-turned fledgling crisis, or maybe he just wanted something new. He wasn’t sure he cared enough to think on it.

He pushed the door of the mansion open, dropping his weapons bag unceremoniously onto the floor. Seonghwa would surely gripe about it to him later, but he was used to it.

“I’m back!” He called, though he was sure that most of them already knew.

“Hongjoong!” Mingi beamed, the first to make it to the foyer. He scooped the hunter up into a warm hug, nuzzling his face against his neck. “You get the target?”

“Don’t I always?” Hongjoong replied slyly.

“Mostly.” Mingi chuckled, setting him down.

“Looks like Joongie’s back in one piece.” San commented as he came down the stairs with Jongho.

“Welcome back, hyung.”

“I keep telling you to drop the honorifics. They’re pointless to vampires.” Hongjoong griped.

“Maybe in ten years.” Jongho quipped, smirking.

“Where’s Seonghwa?” Hongjoong asked.

“Brooding, of course. He wasn’t sure when you’d be back and you know how he gets.” Wooyoung answered as he joined them, throwing him a look. Next to him, Yeosang just shrugged agreeably.

“And just how do I get?” Seonghwa drawled from the common room’s doorway.

Hongjoong turned to see him leaning on the jamb with his arms crossed, smirking in amusement. He couldn’t help but smile, all teeth and just a hint of fang, as had become his habit.

“Hey.”

There had always been something unspoken between the two of them, and despite everything, that had never changed. The others seemed to sense the shift in mood and decided to occupy themselves elsewhere in the room quite suddenly.

“Welcome home.” Seonghwa said in a soft voice, grinning fondly. It had been some time before he had seen Hongjoong smile again after turning him, and he treasured every one.

Hongjoong didn’t say anything, just closed the distance between them and leaned up to kiss him, resting a hand along his cheek and jaw. It was meaningful and easy as anything. When he finally pulled back, Seonghwa’s eyes held a familiar expression, one Hongjoong had grown quite used to.

“Everything went well, then?” He confirmed gently.

Hongjoong hummed, nodding. “Yeah. I haven’t lost my touch just yet.”

“Of course not, my love.” Seonghwa chuckled, kissing him again.

“Mm, oh! You’ll never guess who I ran into on the way here.” Hongjoong teased, smirking.

Seonghwa rolled his eyes. “Hongjoong, the number of mutual acquaintances we share is quite slim, so the assertion that I will never guess is rather cocky—”

“It was Eden.” Hongjoong cut him off, figuring it was more logical than trying to argue against Seonghwa’s very valid point. “He was actually on his way here, but I left him in the dust.”

“Of course you did.” Seonghwa said fondly, shaking his head.

“Anyway, we’ve got a little time before he gets here.” Hongjoong told him. “How were the kids while I was away?”

“Mine were as well-behaved as they ever are. That is to say, we had some noise complaints from yours.” Seonghwa regaled, heaving a great sigh. “Yours, however, were truly in rare form. Yunho nearly burned down the forge the night after you left and has been in time-out while it’s being repaired.”

“What’d he do this time?” Hongjoong asked in a tone that was half exasperated but clearly amused.

“Oh, just more weapon prototypes. He struggles to make weapons for you now that you’re a vampire, as you know. He pushes himself trying smithing techniques he has not fully mastered.” Seonghwa explained. “His guilt, as always, is at least half of his punishment, though… so I did go easy on him.”

“Thanks. You know how sensitive he is.” Hongjoong replied gratefully.

Seonghwa leaned back into the common room slightly. “Yunho-yah, you can come and see Hongjoong, you know. I will not keep you from him as part of your punishment… that seems unfair.”

“Oh thank god—” Yunho bleated, and within seconds, Hongjoong was enveloped in a familiar, warm embrace. “Hyung, I’m so glad you made it back. I didn’t have any new weapons for you, so I was worried, and—”

“Yunho-yah, it’s fine.” Hongjoong assured with a laugh as his feet were lifted off the floor with the force of the hug. “The current gun designs still work just fine. Please don’t burn down the mansion trying to make me new stuff, okay?”

Yunho sighed, setting the hunter down. “Okay…”

Hongjoong patted the other’s head, ruffling his hair, and he’d just pulled his hand away when the front door swung open.

“Okay, where is he?” Eden snarled, plenty of heat but no real anger in his tone.

“Oh, you’re finally here? I left you behind so far back on the highway I’d forgotten all about you.” Hongjoong goaded, smirking.

“Some of us have to worry about killing ourselves if we crash going at those kinds of speeds.” Eden reminded him.

Hongjoong just shrugged dismissively. “Always a new excuse.”

Eden crossed the room, motioning toward the coven’s leader. “Seonghwa-ssi, give me your blood before I punch this upstart punk so I don’t completely ruin the bones in my hand.”

Off to the side, Mingi and San began chanting rhythmically. “Fight, fight, fight, fight!”

Seonghwa barked a laugh, holding up both hands. “As you well know I will not involve myself in your petty contests.”

“Petty? Eden-hyung’s just pissy because now I keep winning.” Hongjoong sniped.

“Oh, so he’s still hyung but I get scolded when I use honorifics with you?” Jongho complained.

“He’s like almost fifty, so it’s completely different, Jongho.” Hongjoong countered.

“I’m not so sure it’s different…” Yunho murmured doubtfully.

“He’ll always be older than me. Even if he waits until he’s an old man to let Seonghwa turn him.” Hongjoong reasoned. “Well, older; he’s already old.”

“You trying to lose an eye today, kid?” Eden snapped.

Seonghwa laughed, full-bodied and unrestrained. It actually took Hongjoong aback slightly.

“You two are in rare form tonight.” He shook his head, eyes full of mirth. “Eden, why don’t you take off your shoes and make yourself at home? Jongho-yah made a lovely dinner and there were plenty of leftovers, since he’s never quite gotten used to cooking for just two.”

Jongho smiled at the acknowledgment of his cooking, nodding eagerly in agreement with the offer.

“I will, thanks. I came to talk with Yunho anyhow. I have a few new designs he might be interested in.” Eden said, toeing off his boots while he spoke.

Yunho perked up at that, but Seonghwa gave him a quelling look.

“You’re still banned from your forge until the repairs are done. You may discuss the designs as much as you will—but discuss only.”

“Okay.” Yunho murmured, a little crestfallen. Seonghwa patted his cheek, then swatted at his butt to encourage him to move toward the kitchen with Eden.

The rest of the coven dispersed, and once they were gone, Hongjoong dramatically threw off his leather jacket, the inner lining filled to the brim with hidden weapons.

“Ugh, I’m so disgusting. I’m gonna shower. Join me?”

“If you’ll have me.” Seonghwa replied with a grin, picking up the discarded jacket and following him up the stairs.

“Mm, would rather you have me.” Hongjoong teased, throwing a coy wink over his shoulder.

Seonghwa rolled his eyes, grinning in a way that was somehow chiding while remaining utterly fond. “Of course, my love.”

And Seonghwa did have him, against the slick tile wall while the pleasantly-hot water falling behind them was left ignored for perhaps too long. Seonghwa pressed sweet welcomes into his neck, against his lips, and Hongjoong held to him tightly as if to assure him he was home.

Showering together was never particularly productive, but even less so when they had recently spent any length of time apart. Even when they had finally finished and dried off, Seonghwa remained all but glued to Hongjoong, nuzzling up against him from behind while the hunter put all his piercings back in.

He rolled his eyes at the outpouring of affection, though it was clear he did secretly revel in it. After a moment, though, he nudged Seonghwa away in feigned annoyance.

“C’mon, just give me five minutes to myself. I’m not gonna evaporate.”

“Very well.” Seonghwa agreed, trying not to sound crestfallen as he pressed a tender kiss behind Hongjoong’s ear. “I will see you downstairs, then.”

“Mm.” Hongjoong grunted in affirmation, nodding distractedly.

Seonghwa toweled off his own hair before heading out into the hall. It hadn’t been ten seconds before he was accosted by San and Mingi.

“You two look like you are up to something.” He told them, raising an eyebrow. “What is it?”

“Just wanted to check with you if we could use your bedroom tomorrow. You know. Since Hongjoong’s back.” San replied, not even remotely appearing offended at the accusation.

“He will likely wish to rest after his hunt, but you are welcome to the room, certainly.” Seonghwa acquiesced. “I will ask if he would like to join you.”

“And what about you?” San asked.

“I will defer to Hongjoong.” Seonghwa answered.

“Whipped.” Mingi grunted, but by his smirk, it was obvious he was only teasing.

“Should I not be there, you will be more conscious of Yunho’s limits. I will not have a repeat of your last escapade. Between the blood loss and dehydration, he nearly fainted.” Seonghwa added sternly. “He is too deferential and accommodating to speak up, so the responsibility falls upon you to remain vigilant and tend to his needs.”

“I know, I know, and we’re really sorry about that.” San said. “Jongho has already threatened to skin us over it, and claims he’ll interrupt every hour from now on if he thinks Yunho’s not hydrating properly, so don’t worry. Message received.”

“Good.” Seonghwa responded somewhat tersely. “Leave him be with Eden for now. He sounds so enthused over whatever it is they’re discussing.”

“You baby our humans so much these days.” San teased. “You never did that with Hongjoongie.”

“He would have skinned me alive should I have tried.” Seonghwa quipped back, earning a laugh from the two of them. “But now, he does the same. He hasn’t allowed Jongho to hunt with him in some time. He worries for him.”

Mingi nodded in understanding. “I get it. I worry about Jongho, too. He’s fragile. I mean, compared to us.”

“Exactly.” Seonghwa’s expression was much more tender as he ran his hands through their hair, gently caressing their faces. “Go on, now… it’s less than an hour until sunrise.”

The two of them chirped in agreement and headed off for San’s room.

Seonghwa watched them go fondly before heading for the stairs.

He could distantly hear Yunho conversing excitedly with Jongho and Eden in the kitchen, silverware clinking against plates in between loud bursts of laughter. He could not help but smile to himself, because they truly had managed to fit in here, as though they were all family. As though they always had been.

He was pulled from his thoughts when he reached the foot of the stairs only to run into Yeosang and Wooyoung.

“Turning in?” He asked, earning a nod from both of them.

“You’ve been insufferable with your pining after him for the last few days and I’m exhausted from dealing with it.” Yeosang barbed. At his side, Wooyoung giggled.

“C’mon, he hasn’t been that bad. Not as bad as the first time, anyway.” Wooyoung shuddered at the memory. “I’ve never seen the mansion so spotless. I thought we had a cleaning staff, but Seonghwa actually just loves cleaning.”

“I find it relaxing.” Seonghwa mumbled defensively. “And am I truly so insufferable?”

Yeosang shrugged. “It’s understandable. He has clearly seized your heart right from your chest.”

Seonghwa chuckled, shaking his head. “He has. And you have never been too pleased about it.”

“No, I…” Yeosang pressed his lips together, looking down. “He has… done some things that caused me to call his feelings, and his motivations, into question. But he brings you happiness. That is all I could ever want.”

Seonghwa smiled affectionately, then.

“My charming prince Yeosang. You have always been the greatest guardian of my heart.” He murmured, resting a palm against the center of Yeosang’s chest. “But it is time that you solely focused upon your own, don’t you think?”

His eyes tracked to Wooyoung, who ducked his head against Yeosang’s shoulder with a shy smile.

“Solely? No.” Yeosang answered, laying a hand over Seonghwa’s at his chest, while his other arm wound around Wooyoung’s waist. “But I trust your faith in him. He has so clearly earned it.”

He squeezed Seonghwa’s hand before letting him go, the elder vampire’s hand dropping as well. He leaned in and offered them both a soft kiss to their foreheads as they headed up the stairs, arms wrapped around each other.

Seonghwa watched them go with fondness and pride before peeling himself away to head for his own destination.

He retrieved some blood for himself from the feeding room before settling on one of the chaises on the veranda with his glass. He let his mind wander a little as he drank. It was cloudy tonight, so the view of the stars was not as lovely as it usually was.

He wasn’t sure how long he was sitting there when Hongjoong joined him, all but throwing himself down on the chaise in the circle of his arms with a great sigh. Seonghwa grinned in amusement and set his glass aside, only for Hongjoong to snap it up and finish it off himself before placing it on the table.

“Did you want me to get you more?” Seonghwa asked in amusement, but Hongjoong just settled against him easily, tucked up against his shoulder.

“Nah, tomorrow.” He grunted, earning a nod of understanding.

“The moon is beautiful tonight, isn’t it?” Seonghwa said wistfully, though he was not looking at the sky, the waxing half-moon hidden by a wisp of gray clouds above the treeline.

“It’s about the same as every other time you mention it. Which is often.” Hongjoong replied with a knowing grin. “How does it go again?”

He repeated the same phrase as Seonghwa, but this time in Japanese. It had featured heavily in a book he’d recently read, one of Seonghwa’s favorites, according to its placement on his personal bookshelves.

Seonghwa raised an eyebrow at him. “You’ve been practicing.”

“Well, you know. Figure I got all the time in the world now.” Hongjoong shrugged.

“That you do.”

Seonghwa’s fingertips played soothingly at his scalp, threatening to lull him to sleep. But he blinked away the tiredness in his bones, staring up at the other accusingly.

“So, do you always plan to be so cryptic?”

Seonghwa regarded him curiously. “Is it truly cryptic if you understand?”

“A little, yeah.” Hongjoong quipped. “Just seems like you’re being needlessly dramatic.”

“Perhaps. Such is my nature, as you well know.” Seonghwa admitted. “Perhaps I was remaining conscious of your comfort level.”

“I am very fucking comfortable.” Hongjoong said with a soft chuckle, shaking his head. “I know I haven’t made this easy on you. Any of it, from the very beginning. I’ve been an asshole, honestly, for most of it. When I think back on all of it, I actually can’t imagine how you could—

“I do.” Seonghwa cut him off, soft but reassuring. “With everything that I am, Hongjoong.”

The hunter let out a shaky sigh, but he wasn’t afraid. Not anymore.

“I love you too, you know.”

Seonghwa regarded him with a gentle smile, cocking his head a little. “I did not, but thank you for telling me.”

Hongjoong scoffed, incredulous. “Really? With all your intuition, you never parsed that one out?”

“I would never expect, no.” Seonghwa explained. “And I would never presume that life would deign to grant me such a kindness.”

The hunter snorted, rolling his eyes. “I’m not a prize you get for winning the karmic lottery or something. That would be pretty terrible, if I was your reward—”

“How dare you.” Seonghwa chided in a faux-scandalized tone. “Do not speak so ill of yourself. I would not trade you for anything.”

“Seems like a big commitment. You sure you wanna go all in on me like that?” Hongjoong teased, bumping his forehead against Seonghwa’s chin.

“Kim Hongjoong… I love you.” Seonghwa told him, succinct but full of conviction. “And, if you would permit me, I would very much like to keep doing so, for the rest of forever.”

“The rest of forever is a long time.”

“I could love you longer, still.”

Hongjoong rolled his eyes. “You’re such a fucking sap.”

“We’ve talked about this. I know little of being anything else.” Seonghwa reminded him.

“That’s all right. I don’t think I’d have you any other way.” Hongjoong admitted, lying back against Seonghwa’s chest. “Honestly I… don’t think I’d have any of this any other way. No matter what brought us to this point, you know? I’m just glad I’m here.”

“I am glad, too.” Seonghwa replied softly, pressing a kiss to his hair.

“I just never thought I’d have something like this.” Hongjoong continued. “You know, this coven. This family. I love you… all of you. I didn’t think I’d ever be able to say that, but. People change, I guess. I certainly have. I mean, now I’m a fuckin’ vampire—”

“Hongjoong.” Seonghwa cut him off softly, giving him a somewhat admonishing look. “How many times have I told you? Being a vampire hasn’t changed you. Not really.”

“No, but I did change. Before that. Thanks to you.”

“Any number of vampires could have helped you see the truth.” Seonghwa insisted. “I just happened to be there.”

“Eden would disagree with you.” Hongjoong countered. “Any number of humans who have watched your interviews would disagree with you. Anyone who’s picked up a history book of the Accords would disagree with you.”

Seonghwa gave him a look.

“I’m serious, Seonghwa. I’m glad it was you. I don’t think anyone else could’ve gotten through my thick skull.” Hongjoong admitted, chuckling softly. 

“It was my privilege to get to know you, that you would get to know me—and vampires—in turn.” Seonghwa replied, smiling fondly.

Hongjoong laughed, swatting at his chest. “You’re ridiculous.”

Seonghwa’s smile remained, though, as he gave a dismissive shrug.

“C’mon, lets go to bed.” Hongjoong said with a nudge to Seonghwa’s side. “I’m dead tired… no pun intended.”

“Wait.” Seonghwa murmured against his neck, a somewhat needy lilt to his tone. “Watch the sunrise with me.”

Hongjoong huffed, whining a little. “I was hoping to be in bed before morning. I’m beat to hell.”

“Just a little while longer. I’ll carry you to bed if you fall asleep on me.” Seonghwa promised.

Hongjoong sighed, throwing his head back in defeat. “Fine. I can’t say no to you anyway you giant sap.”

“As I recall I am your sap.” Seonghwa countered, grinning.

“Mm, true.” Hongjoong murmured contentedly.

He settled back against Seonghwa’s chest again, eyes on the horizon. The haze of dawn was just beginning to glow across the clouds when he spoke again.

“Say it again.”

“I love you.” Seonghwa told him easily.

“That other part.” Hongjoong corrected.

“For the rest of forever.” Seonghwa amended.

Hongjoong gave a pleased hum. “Mm… I really like the sound of that.”

Together, they watched the sunrise.

Seonghwa had always enjoyed them, but now, seeing them the way that Hongjoong saw them, he enjoyed them even more.

The promise of tomorrow. The possibility for endless, unknowable new beginnings.

That morning, when Seonghwa fell asleep with Hongjoong in his arms, he could not help but to find comfort in the thought of the infinite sunrises that would come after, for the rest of their forever.

***

Seonghwa had fallen asleep in his own bed, but now, he was no longer at home.

Seonghwa sat upon a familiar garish carpet in a mansion in Hanam, cradling the man he loved there in his lap. The paisley-patterned golden fibers were stained vermillion with blood as Hongjoong bled out in his arms.

Seonghwa rested his own bloodied wrist to Hongjoong’s mouth, pressing the blood against his tongue. Hongjoong’s body began to heal… the wound at his neck knitting closed, but when his eyes flew open, they were a startling crimson-red.

“What have you done, Seonghwa?” Hongjoong asked, his voice a harsh, accusatory rasp. He sat up, the skin of his face beginning to melt away.

Hongjoong’s visage had become warped into the very monster he believed himself to be; a vile, hideous predator, maw filled with gleaming razorlike teeth and bloodied across his lips and cheeks and chin.

“You did this to me!” He wailed, hate burning in his crimson eyes. “How could you betray me, Seonghwa?”

The horrifying amalgamation of monster and man leapt at him, claws and teeth gnashing—

 

Seonghwa awoke with a start, clutching the duvet so hard that the seams protested, several popping under the strain.

Hongjoong was awake all but instantly, looking around blearily at first before he realized what had happened. He sighed, pulling Seonghwa into his arms. The clock on the far wall told him it was hardly past noon.

“The same nightmare again?” Hongjoong asked softly.

Seonghwa nodded. “Yes, but… it helps that you are here. It is worse when you are not.”

“Because I prove it isn’t real?” Hongjoong questioned.

Seonghwa nodded again. “I can look into your eyes and see something other than hate. When you are not here… that is all I see. It is hard to remember anything else.”

“I don’t hold it against you anymore. I’ve told you before. I’ll keep telling you.” Hongjoong said, quiet but so full of conviction.

“I know.” Seonghwa replied, his voice low and raw and haunted. “I know.”

Hongjoong stared at him for a long moment, like he didn’t know what to do. Finally, he moved back against the headboard, sitting up and pulling Seonghwa to lay his head in his lap.

The other didn’t argue, but he did look up at him with questions in his eyes. Hongjoong just cleared his throat, speaking softly and so measured in the quiet dark.

His Japanese wasn’t the best… he was still learning, but he had been practicing with a passage he liked from a book he’d taken from Seonghwa’s personal collection. He recited what he could of it from memory, all the while petting a hand gently through Seonghwa’s hair.

Seonghwa, who clutched at his delicate ankle like a lifeline, going still as the grave.

Hongjoong may have felt a small patch of wetness touch his thigh, where Seonghwa’s head lay… but if he did, he did not mention it.

Time healed all wounds, it was said. It could take years for him to move past the gnawing guilt. It could take decades, even. Centuries. But that was perfectly fine. He could take all the time that he needed.

After all, they had the rest of forever. They had an eternity.

 

 

Fin

Notes:

You can find me on twt and CC @VermillionVamp

Series this work belongs to:

Works inspired by this one: