The latest release includes a tiny CSS change that ensures large images aren't cut off on small screens, as well as several bug fixes and behind-the-scenes improvements. Now that Flash is dead, we have also converted all works using Dewplayer for audio embeds to use the HTML
audio tag instead.
- Coders: Alix R, cosette, james_, Jeff Kingswood (Littlelines), redsummernight, Sarken, Stephen Burrows, ticking instant, tlee911, Tom Milligan, translatorzepp
- Code reviewers: redsummernight, Sarken, ticking instant
- Testers: CJ Record, Claire Baker, james_, lydia-theda, Nat, QED, Qem, redsummernight, Ridicully, Sammie Louise, Sarken, Taylor Clossin
- [AO3-5791] - We tweaked the CSS so large images in works will no longer overflow their container and cause sideways scrolling. The "Upcoming changes to images" announcement has a bit more information.
- [AO3-5822] - We've made it so HTML list items (
<li>) and description details (
<dd>) in right-to-left languages now have a margin on the right, not the left, as they should.
- [AO3-6057] - Our code includes a list of right-to-left languages to make sure they display properly in the AO3 FAQ and news posts. In addition to Arabic and Hebrew, this list now includes Persian.
- [AO3-6019] - Other users can add you as a co-creator to their works; however, you have to approve this request first. Those requests could be reached from a menu item called "Creator Invitations", which sounded like you could send invitations to your friends from this page. We have now renamed this to "Co-Creator Requests" to avoid confusion.
- [AO3-6009] - We updated the banner new users are presented with when they log in for the first time. Now it helps folks find our FAQs and Support form in case they have trouble using the site, and our Policy & Abuse form in case they experience harassment or have questions about our Terms of Service.
- [AO3-3765] - When a tag had more than one page of tag comments, the notification email to the wrangler would include incorrect links (i.e. to the first page of comments instead of the comment in question). The links now lead to the correct places!
- [AO3-5615] - It was previously possible to mark a tag as unwrangleable even if it hadn't been assigned to a fandom, making it essentially unfindable in the wrangling interface. Now you have to attach it to a fandom first.
- [AO3-6091] - We've added an ownership check so you can't add yourself as a co-owner of another person's collection.
- [AO3-6100] - Site admins with the Support role can now create news posts.
- [AO3-4743] - We fixed the page listing all external works, which was returning errors for site admins.
- [AO3-4744] - When you bookmark an external work, the form should recognize any URL that had previously been bookmarked and auto-fill creator, summary, tags, etc. for you, if those had previously been provided. However, this wasn't working. Now it does!
- [AO3-6046] - If you saved an AO3 page using some browsers' "Save Page As" option, you'd be presented with the notice we automatically insert on AO3 proxy sites. That won't happen anymore!
- [AO3-5685] - If you accidentally visit the log out URL (e.g. because your browser's autocomplete helpfully added /users/logout when you typed archiveofourown.org), we made it so you would see a confirmation page and not actually get logged out.
Behind the scenes
- [AO3-6096] - We have added a way for us to automatically convert new and existing works that use the Dewplayer audio player to use the HTML5
<audio>tag instead. (Find more details in our announcement post: What the death of Flash means for your audio and video embeds.)
- [AO3-4879] - We fixed an issue with displaying an error message if we fail to update preferences for authors of works imported by Open Doors.
- [AO3-6063], [AO3-6064], [AO3-6066] - We fixed indexing errors that would sometimes occur when deleting works, when deleting users, and when there's nothing to actually index.
- [AO3-5958] - The way we test authentication and user permissions in our automated tests wasn't ideal, so we improved it.
- [AO3-6086] - We laid the groundwork for moving collections data to Elasticsearch, which functions as a helpful layer between the database and the site to make browsing and filtering much faster! Stay tuned for further developments.
- [AO3-6090] - After adding the option to disable anonymous comments on works, there was a little more code and database clean-up left to do. Now everything is tidy! \o/
- [AO3-6098] - Since we've recently added, repurposed, and decommissioned quite a few servers, our deploy script had to be updated to reflect these changes.
- [AO3-6048] - We updated our Docker setup to include pwgen, which will make it easier for people using Docker to create admin accounts.
- [AO3-6068] - Whenever a developer set up a local copy of the Archive code to work on, they'd have to manually set the default site skin, or else they'd be looking at a boring white page with black text and blue links. We've fixed it so the site style loads automatically now.