Actions

Work Header

Il Me L’a Dit, L’a Juré Pour La Vie

Chapter 24: Snow

Notes:

The final chapter...

I'm not too sure what to do now that this story is done, so if you guys have any writing requests - let me know and I would love to conjure something up for you!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Marinette let out a content sigh as she pushed the doors opened. She stepped into the cold winter air and stretched her arms high above her head. She finally finished her last project for the semester, having just handed it in. She managed to create the golden dress that she designed inspired by Adrien. She felt proud about this piece and hoped it was enough to give her the grade she wanted.

However, she was more relieved to be done with the semester now.  The last few weeks had just flown by as she spent a lot of her free time at school finishing her work. Adrien was undeniably kind and understanding, easing her during her stressful time. Luckily, there weren’t many big akuma fights; she and Adrien were able to defeat them quite quickly, allowing her to get back to her studies.

Marinette’s favourite kind of nights were when Adrien would come over to keep her company, always falling asleep somewhere nearby. If she was working with patterns on the floor, he was passed out on the ground, head in her lap. He constantly made an effort to see her as much as he could, even with his own busy schedule. He spent many of his days modelling, usually showing up with his hair styled in different ways.

Some days, she would surprise him, sneaking into his apartment as Ladybug, scaring the living daylights out of him.

When they patrolled, Adrien was lively, jumping from one rooftop to another as Chat Noir. Sometimes, he would yell how much he loved her into the Paris night and she was quick to pull him back with her yo-yo, scolding him intensely. That never seemed to stop him anyway; he always grinned down at her, kissing the top of her nose.

The air outside that late afternoon was especially nippy as the wind picked up, chilling her straight down to the core. She buttoned up her long grey jacket and tightened her pink scarf around her neck. She pulled out her black beanie from her tote bag, her favourite one with two fluffy pompoms on the top, and slipped it on her head. She made her way to the métro as fast as she possibly could.

She felt Tikki shifting around in her pocket inside her jacket and smiled fondly at the familiar feeling.

Upon arriving at Adrien’s apartment building, he was already waiting for her in the lobby.

“Hey,” Marinette said to him softly as he enveloped her in a deep embrace.

“Hi,” he leaned down and pecked her lips. “Ready to go?”

“Of course,” Marinette raised her shoulders in anticipation as he guided her down to the garage for his car.

He was taking her on a date to celebrate the end of the semester, he didn’t exactly specify where, but Marinette was excited nonetheless. She tried to hold Adrien’s hand the entire ride, however, she scowled when he let go to turn the wheel. The drive wasn’t long but as the days were growing shorter, the sun was already setting in the distance. A thick shade of purple was trickling down, dark clouds covering the vibrant golden rays setting in the distance, masking what could have been a beautiful sunset.

Adrien paralleled parked into a small spot and grabbed a bag from the trunk. Marinette gave him a questioning look. He responded with a smile and laced his fingers with her, leading the way to a building. 

The building looked like any other – nothing about it was any different from a regular old Parisian apartment. She looked around to see if maybe there was something else that she was missing – a sign explaining what this was.

“We’re almost there,” Adrien glanced behind him at his girlfriend trailing. He knew she was getting antsy trying to figure out the surprise.

Adrien punched in the passcode before pushing open the heavy set wooden doors into the courtyard. It was quiet, a couple of iron wrought tables in the middle; white paint peeled off of them, the dark grey metal peeping through. There were flowers and vines creeping up the sides, completely covering the brick, only the balconies peeping through the wildlife.

Adrien guided her through another door and started marching up a set of stairs. Marinette silently challenged him to a race and the duo started taking the steps two by two, hands gripping the railing.

They laughed between pants once they reached the top, Marinette accusing Adrien’s long model legs for his win.

“Oh yeah,” He reached for his side, the thick bag swinging as he hunched over, “That’s definitely the reason.” His tone of voice was dripping in sarcasm.  He chuckled before straightening up and walking down the hallway to a door.

“If this is where you’re planning on murdering me, just know that you’re at a big disadvantage,” Marinette sized him up.

“What, you think I can’t handle Ladybug?” He cocked his head to the side, teasing her.

“I know you can’t handle Ladybug,” Marinette leaned up and kissed his cheek.

Adrien felt the tips of his ears begin to burn and swallowed thickly, “Well, I would never murder you anyway,” he mumbled as he reached for the door to open it.

Marinette stepped out, smiling to herself. She opened her mouth to respond but a gasp escaped her lips instead.

The vines that were climbing the side of the building were spilling over the edges of the terrace. A wall of evergreen bushes adorned with small glittery lights covered the left side and lanterns were placed along the ledge of the rooftop. Soft music was playing, wisping around in the air calmly.

She felt Adrien place a hand on the small of her back and guided her out even further.

There was a small loveseat facing an obviously artificial fire pit, but it was still keeping the area warm. A few potted trees were placed in the corners but they were barren – the sad reality of the winter season. Nonetheless, the area was stunning. It looked as though they had just stepped into another world.

Marinette walked over to the side, gazing at the view – though she had the privilege of seeing Paris from beautiful heights as Ladybug, the view was breathtaking nonetheless and was something that she could never get tired of. To the right, Marinette could spot the Montmartre standing proud on its hill – to the left, the glittering Eiffel tower welcomed her. This was her home. This was where she belonged.

Suddenly, she realized the song that was playing. Her heart jumped to her throat. She closed her eyes and listened to the melody of ‘La Vie en Rose’. This song – this beautiful, charming song, was the reason she was able to be with him.

“Adrien,” she turned around. Paris was her home, but so was he. Paris would not be complete without him.

He was sitting on the loveseat pulling out two plastic glasses from his bag, a bottle of champagne already waiting on the ground.

“What is all this?” she whispered as she approached him, unable to hide her smile.

“Do you not like it?” He asked as he scooted to make room for her to sit next to him.

“Yes,” she covered her face shyly. “I love it,” she said peeking through her fingers.

Adrien chuckled and pulled her hands away, “I’m glad.”

Marinette leaned over and kissed him. She loved him – she really truly loved him. Everything that he did for her was so selfless; she would give him the world if she could. “Thank you.”

She glanced around her surroundings and sighed, “How did you find such a beautiful place?”

“I know some people,” He winked at her. The young woman grumbled at her boyfriend, hating whenever he pulled a cheeky answer like that. She would get him to spill the details another time, deciding to savour the moment instead.

The plastic fire pit was small but the heat it emitted was comforting. The sun was gone, the stars starting to wake up behind the shifting clouds, constellations seemed to shimmer along with the rhythm of the tune.

Adrien brought the champagne bottle up, his thumb ready to pop the cork. “I wanted to celebrate,” he began. “I wanted to celebrate the end of your semester. You worked incredibly hard.”

“As did you,” Marinette poked his arm. “You applied to school. And you work harder than anyone I know.”

Since they were young, Marinette watched Adrien balance school, modelling and being a superhero (not that she knew at the time anyway), but it still baffled her to see him still striving for the best and he was still like that in the present. He motivated her to work just as hard as him.

“Did you hear back from any of the schools?” Marinette continued.

“Well actually,” Adrien trailed off.

“What?”

“I wanted to tell you this later but…” Adrien shifted uneasily; he began fiddling with the bottle.

Marinette’s eyebrows furrowed. Did he not get accepted? She started to worry, her grasp tightening in a small fist.

“… I got accepted to ESMOD.”

Marinette jumped up from her spot, “What?! That’s amazing! Holy shit!”

Adrien laughed happily as Marinette excitedly shook his arm, showering him in praises and kisses. Her eyes were ignited; Adrien would do anything to see her eyes like this all the time. He found out that morning but didn’t want to tell Marinette right away, hoping to celebrate her accomplishments separate from his own to not overshadow her, but based off her reaction; it didn’t matter and his insecurities were washed away.

They were a team.

She wrapped her arms around his neck, “I’m so happy. I’m so proud of you.”

“Thanks Mari,” He kissed her cheek firmly.

“What are we waiting for? Let’s have some champagne!” Marinette picked up the glasses.

Adrien pressed into the cork until it popped off, the sound exquisitely echoing through the air. He carefully poured the bubbly drink in the glasses Marinette was holding before placing the bottle back on the ground. They clinked the plastic together and Marinette happily took a sip of the delicious alcohol.

Adrien finished his glass in a fast swig, held up his finger before reaching down in his bag and pulling out a familiar box.

“You didn’t,” Marinette eagerly grabbed his arm.

He chuckled and handed her the pink box, her parents’ bakery name beautifully scrawled in cursive on the top. She carefully opened the lid and all her favourite macaroons were there, glowing, calling her name. Adrien laughed at the sparkle in her eyes.

“Your parents are great,” he said.

Marinette’s head snapped up, “They didn’t say anything weird, did they?” Though they already did meet him properly as her boyfriend, she still didn’t trust them to not embarrass her. The relationship was too new.

He shook his head, “No, but they did invite me to Christmas dinner.”

Marinette’s face twisted into a grimace and Adrien snorted, “Okay, okay, I guess I won’t come.”

“No! I mean, yes! Do come! I was just hoping to invite you myself… rather than my parents…” She thought about calling her parents the next morning to scold them for beating her to it.

“It was nice that they invited me. It’s all very… welcoming.” He smiled fondly, picking up one of the hazelnut macaroons. Marinette could sense the sadness behind his voice. She placed her glass on the ground and held her boyfriend’s hand.

He squeezed hers, “I’m sorry my father hasn’t been around lately.” Despite all of Adrien’s efforts in Milan and picking the right school, his father was still as distant as ever. Sometimes, he caught a glimpse of pride wash over his father’s features, but he could never truly tell.

He wanted his father to meet Marinette – he truly thought his father would like her.

“Ah,” Adrien glanced up to the sky, “it’s fine. Honestly.”

She waited for him to continue, knowing that sometimes his thoughts took a second to manifest.

“I want to invite you over for dinner too. I could ask to have dinner at my dad’s place for New Years?” Maybe he could ask when he told him the news about the school.

“We’re not missing Alya’s party, right?” Marinette raised her eyebrows.

“No, of course not. She will never let us miss it,” He rolled his eyes, smirking.

“Either way, I would love to.” Marinette brought her lips to the top of his hand, gently kissing the skin.

“Okay.” Adrien flipped their hands and brought hers over to his own lips, “my lady.”

Her heart skipped a beat for a second; he hadn’t done that in a long time. She actually missed it, and all his other silly nicknames for her.

Adrien finally bit into his macaroon and melted at the taste – Marinette took her own and followed suit.

The night was getting colder by the minute, the heat from the small pit not being enough anymore. Adrien reached behind him and pulled the blanket that was draped over the love seat, wrapping around Marinette. It was peaceful – they had their own space away from the world. A place where they didn’t have to think about anything except each other.

Their struggles made everything worth it – the trust that they had built over the years was stronger than ever. Nothing was going to be perfect, and they both knew that, but they knew that they were always going to be together for the hard parts too now.

Unexpectedly, snowflakes started to whirl down sporadically from the navy cloudy heavens. Marinette perked up, her eyes watching the crystal flakes float around. A smile crept up her lips.

“Snow,” she whispered.

“Great,” Adrien answered quietly. He lightly pulled Marinette’s scarf; she looked over at him questioning. He leaned forward and pressed his mouth on hers. She gladly kissed him back, the giddy feelings still sprouting in the pit of her stomach like it was the first time.

When he pulled away, Adrien grinned, “I’ve always wanted to kiss you in the snow.”

Marinette gasped. Thick snowflakes rested on his eyelashes and in his hair, his nose was pink from the cold, and he sent her the most dazzling smile.

“You…” Marinette tried to formulate any kind of sentence, but nothing could spill out, her face was completely flushed.

He leaned forward and nudged her nose with his before kissing her again, wrapping his arms around her tightly. He would never let her go.

Everything was going to be okay. This is where they belonged, together in this city, their home. They loved each other for who they were, though it took some time for them to get there, they were glad they were able to reach each other.

Adrien pulled away, breathlessly. He stared down at Marinette.

“Thank you for all this,” she gave him the sweetest smile.

He shrugged, “It was no problem.”


The snow that fell that night did not last very long, already melting away the following morning, but the weather stayed chilly nonetheless. Unfortunately, Adrien had gotten sick that morning; the combination of the cold air and his stress finally diminishing all caught up to him. He was stuck at home, sneezing.

Marinette had gone to his place to take care of him; both she and Plagg gave him a good scolding, Tikki having to intervene to allow Adrien to rest properly.

Adrien hadn’t left his house in a week now, and insisted on coming over.

She heard a knock on her window. She smiled to herself before closing her sketch book and opened the glass carefully. There was her boyfriend, perched on his silver staff, covered in his leather suit, his piercing green eyes staring at her in the darkness. Marinette’s smile formed into a deep grin and pulled Chat Noir by his bell for a kiss.

“Someone is happy to see me,” He smirked. She rolled her eyes, despite the eagerness written all over her features, before backing away to let him climb into the room. They closed the window, and Chat Noir’s body relaxed into the warmth of the area.

He wrapped his arms around Marinette, pulled her close to him. She snuggled into his touch, leaning up to kiss his jaw.

“What are you up to?” He asked sitting on the side of her bed, pulling her down next to him.

“I was just designing stuff,” she nonchalantly waved in the direction of her sketch book. She was actually preparing his Christmas gift but she obviously couldn’t tell him that.

“Wow, my talented girlfriend…” He nuzzled his nose into her neck and pulled her into his lap.

She giggled, “Keep it down,” her voice dropped to a whisper.

“Fine, we won’t talk then,” He murmured, his lips keeping busy on her exposed skin.

Marinette hummed in response, her hands snaking up the side of his toned arms.

She softly pulled his face towards hers. Her hands rested on his cheeks, his green eyes stared deeply into hers the mask contrasting against his warm skin, his mouth slightly apart.

He didn’t say anything; he didn’t need to, but she wanted to hear him say it.

“I love you,” She whispered.

“I love you too,” He watched the corner of her lips turn up, pink dusting under her freckles.

“I wish we could stay like this forever,” Marinette’s lips grazed over his.

“I promise, we will,” Adrien’s gloved hands rubbed circles on her thighs.

And that was a promise they were sure to keep for life.

Notes:

Ahh... It's done. This is incredibly bittersweet. Thank you to everyone who followed this story through the years, I really appreciate your love and support. It was so hard for me to actually post this because it meant it was over.

I hope you guys enjoyed the last chapter - I am thinking of writing an epilogue chapter, but for now I would like to leave the story as is. Let me know what you guys think of it.

This story was something that I have been working on for over three years and I wanted to see it to the end, and I'm glad that I did. The story changed a lot as my writing evolved and improved over the years as well. I started this story when I was in my 3rd year of university, and now I'm done and it's so so weird. In hindsight, I would've chosen a different title... but as time went on, I felt like people would get confused if I changed it, and so it stuck.

I feel like I have a void now.

I hope to start taking some writing requests - I really love writing, so it would be fun. You can leave them in the comments or on my Tumblr.

Also, I hope everyone is staying safe ♥ The world is a weird place right now and if anyone wants to talk, my Tumblr is always opened to chats.

Anyway, thank you to everyone for giving this story a purpose and for taking the time to read it. I hope you enjoyed it!

Notes:

Check out my Tumblr for more fun stuff! ^^ (http://daisy-constellations.tumblr.com/)

I hope you guys enjoyed it tho! Let me know what you guys think :) ♥