1. Gathered together and summed up
2. Let the berry ferment to make a fine drink for summer nights
3. KY shares a portmanteau, but not a border, w/ this Commw.
4. We put all our money into it, but no one really wants to see it (1, 4)
5. Abbrev. for, e.g., our introduction to Joe Gillis
6. Never odd
7. The launch is imminent; all _______ go (7, 3)
1. A great dynasty ended in its jaws
2. It's made of molten rocks and it's before your eyes at this moment
3. Eastern game of territorial strategy
4. The eye commonly does it, but the hand may too in the right circumstances
5. You can only know this stone by smashing it open
6. 5,200 of them get you a UNIVAC
7. He or she goes to the lower depths
8. The multiplicative identity for the set of real numbers
Can I decode a chess move from this puzzle? I wanna follow along with the game like in Through the Looking-Glass.
No, because I'm terrible at chess. If I tried to include enough information for a coherent game it would just bother readers who are good at chess, trust me.
What exactly is the secret non-chess-move message from Donald to Joseph and how is it encoded?
There is no answer, because
1. that's between Donald and Joseph
2. I'm terrible at math. I honestly googled "interesting facts about the number one" to try to come up with a clue for 8 Down.