Actions

Work Header

Where the Sea's Asleep and Rivers Dream

Summary:

Most recent chapter: Amy and Rory's wedding night.

A series of One Shots set at night or in dreams and nightmares.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: Nightmares: the Twelfth Doctor

Summary:

River Song is in the Library and the Doctor goes to save her.

Notes:

Fandom: Doctor Who

Pairing: Twelve/River

Characters: Twelfth Doctor, River Song

Rating: G

Words: 633

Chapter Text

The Doctor took in a deep, shaky breath as he pulled the dematerialization lever to land the TARDIS. His eyes snapped shut as he concentrated on his breathing, sweaty hands refusing to let go of the console. His hearts felt heavy in his chest. Tears rolled down his cheeks.

River's arms hugged him from behind and he felt her press her tear-streaked face into his shoulder.

The Doctor turned in his wife's arms to return her embrace. His head nestled into her hair as he took in her sent for what was possibly the last time.

She released him and headed to the doorway. He followed her and lent himself against the doorframe.

"Goodbye, sweetie," she smiled sadly before kissing him as if her life depended on it.

When she pulled away - far to soon - he was gasping for breath and his cheeks were flushed.

"Goodbye, dear," he didn't like it, it sounded too final, but he didn't know what else he could say.

She winked at him. It was an everything's-going-to-be-okay wink, a wink that was supposed to give him hope. He was very much in need of it.

The Doctor watched River walk out of the TARDIS and into Lux's spaceship.

Just before she disappeared from his sight, she turned and waved sadly. He waved back and she blew him a kiss.

Then she was gone.

 

 

The Doctor materialized the TARDIS at the centre of the the Library. He walked over to the doors and put his hand on the handle. He stopped, head resting against the wood of the doors. What he did now determined his future. If he got it right, River would be with him again. But if he got it wrong...

He opened the doors and stepped outside.

 

 

The Doctor's hands danced over the controls of the monitor station at the core of the Library.

The computer made a beeping noise as the Doctor put his wife's escape plan into action. The beep sounded hopeful and he managed a slight smile. Then he read the information readout on the computer screen.

His hearts shattered.

 

 

The Doctor had made a mistake. River Song was dead. Properly and entirely dead and she wasn't coming back.

The Doctor sank to the floor and cried. He had got it wrong. River was gone and it was his fault.

He'd never feel her curls curl around his fingers or trip over her heels in the TARDIS corridor again. And he'd never again have an argument with anyone and not mind losing. He couldn't believe it. It was all over.

His sobs grew louder as his fingers clawed at his hair, scrunched up in a ball on the TARDIS control room floor. He cried for so long he couldn't remember how long he'd been there. He wasn't sure he'd ever stop. He felt dead inside and he would never be whole again. The Doctor was lost.

 

 

The Doctor woke up to find River Song sleeping safely next to him. It was only a nightmare! River was safe and right there, in his arms. They were still on Darillium and the sun was an age away from rising.

A tear of relief escaped his eye and his whole world felt brighter.

He smiled happily to himself as he pulled her closer to him. He kissed the top of her head, taking in the sent of her.

That woke River up. She saw him and smiled. His breath caught. She was so beautiful and he knew how lucky he was.

"Morning, sweetie," she said as he ran his fingers through her curls.

"Morning, my love," he replied as he mentally promised himself he would save her.

He would never let it go wrong.

The Doctor would never let River Song down like that.