Actions

Work Header

Fooling the world (and maybe ourselves)

Summary:

When four years of fake dating start to catch up to Marinette and Adrien, it seems the only course of action is to take it to the next level.
A fake marriage.
How else are they supposed to get their parents off their backs?

Notes:

I want to write angst and I am, I swear, but its really draining to write and I'm already tired all the time so you guys get fluff in the meantime.
Plus I REALLY like fake dating aus.
My other chapters will be longer, I promise, I just needed to set the story up.
I still don't know what I'm doing with titles *deep sigh*.

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter 1: Prologue

Chapter Text

This was getting out of hand.

They hadn't meant for it to happen like this, they really hadn't.

It was a simple misunderstanding really. When they'd accidentally found out each other's identities, it was only to be expected that they'd become more comfortable around each other (after a week of painfully awkward, strained silence of course).

And with them always disappearing to fight akuma attacks at the same time, well it was only to be expected that people would notice something was up.

Quick thinking (or panicking) on Adrien's part had gotten them out of any more unnecessary questioning by his claim that they were dating.

Marinette had gone along with it, too stunned and frantic at the time to think of a better solution or come up with a reason to say no. Adrien had apologized again and again afterwards, but Marinette wasn't mad. It was a good excuse.

And she may have had some ulterior motives.

But of course, Alya had mentioned the new boyfriend to Marinette's parents and Adrien had to be introduced. Adrien soon became a regular occurrence at their house, staying for dinners and helping in the shop and just relaxing with Marinette in general. And from there Sabine and Tom had wanted to meet Gabriel and Marinette had to be formally introduced and really the whole thing has gotten to be quite the mess.

But still, even with all of their friends and family believing they were a happy couple, Marinette and Adrien remained "just friends".

Not that she was disappointed.

It wasn't all that hard really. Public displays of affection weren't that necessary. Besides the occasional peck on the cheek or the fact they ended up sitting cuddled up close together, it wasn't all that different from the way they were before.

And if Marinette's feelings were more than that of a friend's, well, she could deal. Adrien was her best friend, her partner , and she wasn't going to ruin that because of her stupid crush on him that had only gotten worse when she found out his identity.

Four years of fake dating was no big deal. It was just a ruse to stop people from asking questions. Marinette was content to leave it at that.

Except apparently their little act had been more serious than they'd thought.

"My dad is insisting we get married." Adrien was clearly distressed, holding up an engagement ring that must have cost a fortune and this really could not be happening to them. "If we don't, he's going to set me up with 'a more suitable candidate'; Marinette he's going to force me to get married to one of his business associates' daughters. I don't know what I'm going to do!"

"Why don't we just get married then?" This could not be happening, Marinette could not have just said that. "My parents have been nagging me about when we'll get married anyways. This will keep people off our backs right? It's not like it'll be that different from what we're doing now." Honestly why did she even open her mouth?

"Really?"

"Yeah. A fake marriage with a friend isn't the worst thing right? And when your dad gives up on selling you off, we can divorce whenever, right?" She really needed to stop talking.

"Thank you, Marinette. You have no idea how much this means to me." Adrien rushed forward, enveloping her in a hug she did her best to return.

Honestly.

This was getting out of hand.