Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 11 of The Abdication of Hou-Ting LIV or: How Wu Learned to Stop Being Foolish and Love the Detective
Stats:
Published:
2015-09-18
Completed:
2015-10-17
Words:
45,136
Chapters:
30/30
Comments:
171
Kudos:
270
Bookmarks:
28
Hits:
5,327

30 Day OTP Challenge: Love Is In The Details

Summary:

The infamous 30 Day OTP Challenge! Sometimes a writer just needs to get her head back into the game. Thirty drabbles in thirty days that are being crossposted over at my Tumblr account. Whatever comes into my head, typed in. Let's see where this takes us.

I created a playlist for this series! Head on over and have a listen....

Love Is In The Details from ourimpavidheroine on 8tracks Radio.

Chapter 1: Holding Hands

Chapter Text

Wu politely skirted around a small spirit that looked like a cross between a rutabaga and some sort of jellyfish, sprawled in the middle of the sidewalk. He wasn't entirely clear on how one was supposed to handle this sort of thing - eyes to the horizon? A cheerful hello? Ba Sing Se didn't have nearly the spiritual presence that Republic City had, especially now that it sported a spirit portal in the middle of what used to be downtown. He wasn't sure of the protocol involved.

The spirit solved the ethical conundrum by opening its eyes and speaking. "Looking for someone?"

Wu automatically made a cordial bow. "I am, in fact. A policeman. Tall? Dark hair? Firebender? Wears a glove on his left hand?"

The spirit thought for a moment. "Oh sure, sure. That one. He comes here to eat." A tentacle-ish thing wavered up and pointed. "Go on down the path, take the first right, you can't miss him. Always sits on the same bench."

"Thank you very much."

"No problem, Your Highness."

Wu blinked a little at that. How on earth had it known who he was? Mysteries of the Spirit World, unsolved, he assumed. He made his way down the path. He'd only been back in Republic City for two weeks now. He supposed he probably shouldn't bother Mako at work, but he just wanted to see him. He couldn't get enough of seeing him. Not to mention, he was more than a little bored. The big house was too big; Mako was gone for most of the day and Wu rattled around it, desperately trying to find something to do. He needed something to keep him busy, something beyond learning to play the yangqin and playing with little Naoki. The firebender who had come up with her - Lozan was his name, although Naoki called him LoLo and he didn't seem to mind - had taken over the running of the house with almost terrifying efficiency. Wu was hoping he'd stay. He knew he'd have to hire some sort of housekeeper and cook anyhow - he certainly couldn't cook or run a house and didn't have much interest in learning how, quite frankly - but LoLo suited him. When people suited him, Wu liked to keep them. 

The path split in front of him and he took the first right, walking another few meters. There he was, just as promised, sitting on a bench, chopsticks in one hand, a take-out container in the other. Wu smiled. Maybe someday he wouldn't get that little jolt of pleasure he always felt when he saw Mako - mine, he's all mine, he loves me, he's mine - but he couldn't help himself. Mako glanced up.

"What are you doing here?" Mako frowned. Wu had to laugh to himself. He was fairly certain that Mako had no idea at all how he put people off with his irascible faces; he usually looked like he wanted to set someone on fire. It had put him off for awhile too - he was more than a little afraid of Mako when Mako first started working for him, although if you didn't know Wu very well you wouldn't know that his endless babble and insouciant attitude covered up his own nervousness. Mako had glowered; Wu had chattered. Round and round in circles they had gone.

"Nice to see you, too," he said, and Mako craned his head to peer behind him.

"Is something wrong? Is the baby sick or something? You didn't crash the car or anything, did you?" His voice sharpened.

"No, no and no. Nothing's wrong. I just missed you. I wanted to see you."

Mako's frown deepened into a scowl. "Wu, I'm working. You can't just come and visit me when I'm working."

Wu gestured around. "Looks to me like you're eating lunch, not hunting down dangerous criminals. What, you can't have a ten minute break to eat your lunch, talk to your boyfriend? Won't they call you on that radio thing if they need you?" Mako grunted and Wu took that as an invitation, sitting down on the bench next to him. "Don't worry, if any bad guys come I'll make a run for it. I'll even scream in terror if you think it will add to the crime fighting ambiance."

Mako snorted at this and held over his container. "You hungry?"

"No, you eat it. I'll get something later."

"You didn't drive over here, did you?"

"No, I did not, Mister Ask A Million Questions. I took a taxi, if you must know. I suppose I should see about getting a driver or something. I really don't like relying on taxis."

"So long as you aren't driving."

"Mako, it was one insignificant crash. I was learning!"

"Wu, you took out two dumpsters and half of a shop window! Not to mention you never look where you are going. You can't turn around to talk to people in the back seat when you are driving!"

"Well, if cars were designed properly you could!"

"Also, traffic signals are not suggestions."

"So many rules! I hate rules!"

Mako looked down at him and raised an eyebrow. "Royalty. Useless." Ah, there came a smile. Wu wanted to snuggle right up to him but he refrained. Mako was, after all, on duty. He might not like rules but he knew how seriously Mako took his work. He wouldn't get in the way of that. Mako wasn't his concubine. He was his equal partner.

"That's me, Prince Useless." He tried to give a carefree laugh but it came out a little flat.

"Not useless," murmured Mako, and he entwined the smooth fingers of his gloved left hand around Wu's fingers. 

"I'm not so sure about that," muttered Wu, and Mako took his hand out of his. Wu was disappointed but Mako was only tugging off the glove before returning his hand into his, the roughness of the lightning scars scraping against his palm.

"I'm sure," said Mako in that tone that meant there was no arguing. Wu risked resting his head against Mako's shoulder and got a kiss dropped on his crown for his trouble. "You'll find your way. I know you. You'll find something to do." His thumb stroked little circles on Wu's hand. 

"You really think so?" Wu increased the pressure of his own fingers around Mako's.

"I know so," Mako replied, and brought his hand up to kiss their entwined fingers.