Actions

Work Header

sanctuary (grief is love with nowhere to go)

Chapter 7: grogu is tired

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Grogu knew the moment they met.

Baba holds a lot of pain in his heart. They don’t talk about it — probably because Baba doesn’t know he understands, or just doesn’t want to burden him — but Grogu can feel it, festering beneath the surface and eating him alive. Grogu knows it's wrong to think that he can fix Baba. It’s not a child’s job to fix a parent. But Baba was the only one he had, one of the first that had treated him with true kindness. Baba had come back for him after giving him away, putting himself at risk and caring for Grogu more than he cared for any material gain.

Baba makes Grogu feel utterly safe. Grogu wishes he could do the same for him.

Then Grogu meets Dada. He had decided on that title in secret on the flight home, when Dada was too busy thinking to hear him. Dada and Baba are good in very similar ways. They care more for others than themselves. They give parts of themselves away until nothing is left. They believe they’re not quite as valuable as the things around them, more deserving of pain and suffering.

But while Baba yearns for comfort and safety, Dada wants to give. He wants things to protect and hold to his heart. He wants to be relied on, to be a foundation of support. There is nothing he finds more important than that.

Dada had held Grogu in his arms. Baba had taken off his helmet, looked Grogu in the eyes, and told Grogu with his entire soul that he loved him. Then he looked in Dada’s eyes, and the universe shifted slightly to the left.

Every living creature provided a spark of energy. They flew through space and time, too small to be noticeable, until they coalesced in the space between them. Grogu watched the thread form between them, nearly invisible. He watched it stretch as Dada walked away. And he felt it pull taut as Baba reached out to Grogu, unknowingly reaching out to Dada, too. The two of them spent a lot of time together after that, allowing the thread to grow in strength.

Grogu felt it snap that morning. Pearlescent shells fell from his hands. Weakened but not gone, he watched the thread as they drew away. Grogu had sat and cried. Part grief, part frustration. Two of the most powerful people in the universe, and two of the stupidest.

But he knows this is not the end. They are like two galaxies orbiting each other, destined to collide. He just hopes they do before their pain kills them.

Grogu rests, swaddled in blankets and tummy full of soup. He hopes to find more shells in the morning.

Notes:

he's just a lil guy ;-;