Actions

Work Header

Collecting Stars

Chapter 3: In a Trance

Summary:

This explains what happened when Kasumi found the stone.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

A bright light enveloped Kasumi in an instant and she was no longer at the shop. She looked to her side but Arisa wasn't there. Suddenly she was alone in an empty field. Taking in her surroundings, she saw was standing in the middle of a meadow. Flowers of all colors dotted the landscape as far as she could see. The sky was clear and the sun was shining bright. It seemed almost perfect but it was all so confusing. Where am I ? The stone was still in her hand. She looked at it for a moment before it started glowing. It pulsated similar to a heartbeat. She felt a warmth envelop her, the scene changing as she blinked. She was in a cave now, large and illuminated by bioluminescent moss and mushrooms. The stone floated out of Kasumi's grasp while emitting a bright light. She turned her head and shielded her eyes. The stone and light radiating from it seemed to take a humanoid form. It was a simple silhouette. It stayed floating in front of Kasumi, keeping level with her head. 

"You have questions. I have answers'' it said, its voice hollow yet booming. Kasumi didn't know if she felt fear or curiosity. She said nothing and kept a puzzled look on her face. The entity gestured for her to follow. She did. As they walked through the cave the colors seemed to grow brighter, lighting up the cave. Then they came to a stop, reaching a dead end. The end had a waterfall coming from atop but it was dark. Kasumi then noticed the water wasn't actually water. It was something else and it was glittery and shiny, almost like stars. She was fascinated now and moved towards it. The entity put an arm out, indicating for her to stop. 

"This is where I came from. Tossed here millennia ago. You are not the first to wake me, but you could be the last."  With this. the entity turned to face Kasumi. She looked around, then asked, "What do you mean by that? What are you and... and why did I ‘wake’ you?" with confusion in her voice. She seemed to be at a loss for words, her usual excited demeanor quelled and replaced. 

It seemed to stare in response, Kasumi couldn't say for sure. It had no face. 

"When there are those chosen by fate, we flock to them. I flock to you," it finished with a pointed finger in Kasumi's direction. She had her thinking face on, putting together the dots. 

"Was me meeting Arisa fate then?" Kasumi asked, a wide grin on her face. 

"Yes," responded the entity. 

This earned an embarrassing giggle from Kasumi, who was more relaxed now. 

“I have more questions,” she said.

“The squirrel? That was fate. It is magical after all,” the entity answered. 

“Dude! I thought I was gonna die!” Kasumi exclaimed, surprised at the revelation. 

“You would also like to know my name, correct?” the entity nodded at Kasumi. She nodded back.

“Mashiro,” it said. Kasumi gave a small ‘aah’ at this. 

“Well, Mashiro, how can I help you?” she asked enthusiastically. Mashiro turned towards the waterfall, crossing its arms.

“I am not the only one of my kind. There are four others like me. Think of us as fallen stars. We used to occupy a space in the sky together, creating a constellation. But a fight broke out and all of us paid the cost. If we can be reunited, I am sure we can go back,” it finished, raising a hand up towards the waterfall. Kasumi stared in awe. I’m talking to a real star!? She freaked out. 

“Please refrain from touching me, I could seriously hurt you,” Mashiro said, anticipating Kasumi’s next move. She gave a frown and slumped her shoulders. 

“Well, will you help me? You are not obligated to but I would greatly appreciate it, Kasumi,” Mashiro asked, turning towards her. Kasumi smiled and nodded.

“Of course! Why wouldn’t I?” she replied, grinning now. 

“Believe it or not, my last owner refused my request. It is how I ended up entrapped in that sealed container,” Mashiro answered, its glow dimming a bit. Cool… Its glow changes with its mood! Kasumi thought.

“Anyways, can I go back now? It feels like we’ve been here forever!” she asked, giving a small stretch. 

“Ah, Uhm, the thing is I… do not have good control over my powers. That is why you were zapped here so suddenly. Let me think,” it responded, taking a spot on the ground. It turned its head towards the waterfall.

“This waterfall has magical capabilities. I am sure if you go into it, it will transport you back to where you previously were. I do not know how much time has passed in your world but I assume it is not a drastic amount,” it finished, looking down into the hole the waterfall was descending into. 

“How does it know where I was at?” Kasumi asked, concern in her voice.

“Most magic responds to thoughts and feelings. If you concentrate your feelings on where you were last or where you want to be, I am sure it will take you there. It put me here at the very least,” Mashiro explained. Kasumi nodded, still unsure. She did want to get back, though. 

“So do I just… jump in?” she asked, looking at Mashiro. 

“I assume so. But remember to concentrate on your feelings as you submerge yourself. I do not wish for a mistake to occur,” it answered. Kasumi gave a small nod before standing at the base of the hole the waterfall fell into. She looked down into nothing. It was pitch black, which made her stomach turn. Turning toward Mashiro, she gave a small wave.

“Guess I’ll see ya later! Maybe? I hope so,” she said before taking a brave jump down into the waterfall. 

It was cold, like water. She also could not breathe. Attempting to focus on her last location, she flooded her mind with her past surroundings. The dimly lit shop was filled with arrays of knick-knacks, weapons, and tools of the like. She imagined Arisa, who had a disappointed look on her face now that she remembers it. I’ll apologize when I’m back… Kasumi thought to herself as she felt the cold fade. She opened her eyes and saw she was in Arisa’s arms now. Realizing she was not breathing that whole time, she took a deep breath and choked on some ‘water’ that got into her mouth. She wasn’t wet but still cold . The stone was now floating in front of her, glowing a faint red. She grabbed it and stared at it for a moment. She knew she had to stand up but she wanted to stay in Arisa’s embrace for a few moments longer. To her dismay, Arisa began to stand up, reaching a hand to help her up. She took it.

“Here, let's go inside. I’ll clean this up,” Arisa said, gently taking Kasumi’s hand and leading her toward the door. Kasumi saw Arisa’s grandma standing nearby, a concerned look on her face. 

"Can you tell me what you saw?" she asked, gesturing for Kasumi to sit. She nodded and recalled everything. By the time she was done Arisa arrived. She had a disappointed look on her face. 

Kasumi's head was clouded with thoughts as the pair headed outside. She felt very drained as if the Stone was sapping her of her energy as it possessed her. That is a likely possibility… she noted to herself. Arisa opened the gate for her which made Kasumi snap out of her haze.

"I'll see you tomorrow!" she promised, taking Arisa's hands for a moment. At that, she headed home, ready for a good nap.

Notes:

I meant to upload this earlier but new pokemon game ... Hope u guys enjoyed !!