Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandoms:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Trio Time, Vader and His Twins, Time Travel, In the Blood and the Force, The Bakery’s Best Buns
Stats:
Published:
2022-10-09
Completed:
2023-06-11
Words:
85,230
Chapters:
20/20
Comments:
403
Kudos:
629
Bookmarks:
140
Hits:
25,463

Judgment Day

Chapter 9: Countdown

Notes:

I am deeply sorry for the cliffhanger. Well. Not really. xD

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Obi-Wan is highly unsettled, to say the least, after his conversation with Ahsoka. He knows what she's trying to say, or at least what he's certain she was implying. She thinks that Palpatine is the Sith. And that's... Okay, maybe for fleeting moments he wondered because of how suspicious everything is now, but believing that he's someone around Palpatine and that he actually is him are totally different.

But it means the situation is even more serious than they were worried about, because Palpatine won't give up his position, even when the war is officially over. They have to find something against him first, and... This is why Anakin was supposed to be spying him, because they know he's up to something.

Leaving Anakin on the mission means that he'll be right around the Sith Lord at all times. And... he does not like that prospect, but at the same time, Anakin is the Chosen One, the one who's supposed to bring balance to the Force and destroy the Sith. He might struggle with being a Jedi, but Obi-Wan trusts him to do the right thing.

He comms Windu the first chance he gets. He doesn't have time to go find him in person, and he doesn't want to take anything to the Council until they know something with certainty. "Master Kenobi?" Windu asks in mild surprise.

"I spoke with Ahsoka," he says, without preamble, "And... she said she confronted Maul once, and from what he said, she strongly believes that Sidious is indeed someone high up in the Republic... perhaps at the very top."

"Are you certain?" Windu demands, his voice betraying an obvious hint of anxiety. They suspected he was someone involved with Palpatine, but hearing a likely confirmation is completely different.

"She implied as much, and she was wary about Anakin being around the Chancellor, and I see no other reason for such concerns," he replies.

"I still do not believe the boy should be around him, especially now," Windu declares firmly.

"I don't like it either," Obi-Wan admits, "But if we are to take action, we need a confirmation of his identity. Until then, we can do nothing."

"We will speak with him about returning his powers to the Senate and leaving office as he should have years ago after you have dealt with Grievous. We should be able to determine his identity from there. For now, take care of Grievous."

Obi-Wan murmurs an acknowledgement before the call ends. He has a little more time before he has to leave, and he knows one person who might be able to give them a better idea on what's going on. Maybe.

Luke doesn't seem upset to see him, but he seems... far less open than he was when he first came arrived in this time. Obi-Wan isn't quite sure why or what could have changed so drastically. "What is it?" he asks. It's not cold or sharp, but it still seems to lack life. He doesn't trust him, either, Obi-Wan realizes.

"Anakin has seemed... stressed," he answers. "I was wondering if he told you anything."

"He has good reason to be," Luke retorts evenly. "He is on the Council. Considering the nature of his appointment, I would be shocked if he weren't upset."

Does he know what happened? Anakin shouldn't have told him. Obi-Wan told him not to. It's more a problem of him telling Luke than anything – Luke isn't truly a part of their Order, and therefore, they can't trust him. "I sense something more."

"I would suggest speaking to Anakin himself about it," Luke answers finally. "It's not my place to explain these things. It is my father's choice if he wants to tell you."

"I understand," he replies, most unhappily. He hadn't wanted to go to Anakin, because he knew it would upset his former padawa,n and it would be counterproductive for them to argue right now. A part of him is still tempted to try, but he's become accustomed to keeping his distance. Anakin is a Knight now – his choices are his own. Obi-Wan can't make him do anything one way or another. Anakin clearly expressed how upset he was yesterday, and Obi-Wan doesn't want to push him right now.

"Is that all?" the boys queries, after a moment of silence.

This is the tricky part, because in truth he doesn't know where Luke's loyalties lie. They can only assume. "Is there anything else you can tell me about Sidious?" Obi-Wan asks.

Luke stiffens, almost imperceptibly. "I never heard that name in the future," he replies.

Unhelpful, but he's fairly certain that he's right. It would best explain how Palpatine was the Emperor in the future. "Did you know of any Sith in the future?"

"There was two, that I know of. I know there were Inquisitors, who were specially tasked to hunt down Jedi, but I never met any."

Also unhelpful, but either Luke really doesn't know much, or he's intentionally not answering. It's obvious enough that the Sith were somehow supporting Palpatine, though, if they were using Dark Side users against the Jedi.

He'll have to tell the Council later. It's getting late, and he needs to leave for Utapau.

***

Luke does not have a good feeling about Obi-Wan leaving for Utapau, but he keeps his concerns to himself. Honestly, there is nothing Obi-Wan would do that he couldn't himself. More and more, he's beginning to think of Obi-Wan and Ben as completely separate people, and that's even more true for Anakin and Vader.

He stays with Anakin the entire time now as he has been from the start – after all, he doesn't know how else to help. Luke is watching from a distance when Obi-Wan prepares to leave, only for Anakin to decide to have a few final words with him.

"Master, I've disappointed you," Anakin says, and Luke is careful to keep his distance to give them privacy. He's still... interested, though. "I haven't been very appreciative of your training. I've been arrogant, and I apologize. I've just been so frustrated with the Council."

Is this for real? Luke really wishes someone would explain to him right now how this could be the same person who became Darth Vader. It's unthinkable. Anakin is... he's light and compassionate and empathic, and soft-spoken almost to the point of being shy.

And really, what is Anakin apologizing for? He had every reason to be upset with Obi-Wan earlier if that's what this is about. Or is there something very major that Luke complete missed?

There's a heartbeat of silence. "You are strong and wise, Anakin, and I am very proud of you," Obi-Wan replies.

Luke blinks in surprise. That... was not what he was expecting to hear. Now that he thinks of it, he can't remember Obi-Wan saying anything of that nature whatsoever to Anakin in all the time he's been with them – which hasn't been long, but still.

"I have trained you since you were a small boy. I have taught you everything I know, and you have become a far greater Jedi than I could ever hope to be."

Anakin looks down, a small, genuine smile crossing his face. Luke can't see him well from where he stands, but he can sense his emotions as clear as day. They're far stronger and more pronounced than most of the people Luke has met, and he can feel the way Anakin's presence is glowing softly with light, with gratitude and love and... something far too close to shyness for his liking. Owen was never as strict as Obi-Wan seems to be, but praise from him was rare enough that it'd often make Luke feel like this himself. He's seen it. He knows the signs, but it's different on his father for reasons he can't explain – maybe because he'd truly thought Obi-Wan was like Anakin's father – merely by watching their interactions.

"But be patient, Anakin. It will not be long before the Council makes you a Jedi Master." Obi-Wan gives him a smile that actually looks sincere – actually, Luke is pretty it's the first time he's seen him smile about anything except when they were fighting – before he turns away, walking down the steps.

"Obi-Wan!" Anakin calls.

He pauses, looking back.

"May the Force be with you."

"Goodbye, old friend. May the Force be with you."

The small, almost shy smile on Anakin's face is back again, if only for a moment. He feels... happier, lighter, than he has since his nightmare. Luke approaches, standing next to his father as they watch Obi-Wan's ship take off. Neither of them says anything for a few long minutes until the ship starts lifting off.

"What was that about?" Luke inquires.

"We... argued," he answers finally, slightly awkwardly. It's like he's never really talked about his with anyone before. "I just wanted to sort it out before he left. I... don't have a good feeling about this."

A chill runs through Luke. He can't shake the foreboding feeling that everything is about to collapse, and apparently, Anakin senses something too. But what he doesn't understand is what Anakin was apologizing for. True, he never saw the whole argument, but Anakin had every reason to be upset. "I never saw what happened," Luke replies slowly, "But he was asking you to do something treasonous, and I understand why you were upset."

"It is my duty. He was only doing what the Council asked of him. This – this is how it is. It doesn't matter if I don't like it. I've been a Jedi for years. I should know this."

Why does he always defend the Jedi no matter what they ask of him? Luke can't understand it, and it confuses him even more on how his father could ever turn on them. He respects them so much, more than Luke can even understand. "They might have legitimate reasons for their concerns, but they didn't have to drag you into it. They shouldn't have asked you to betray a friend."

It would be safer if his father was as far away from Palpatine as possible, not working right near him now. It's outrageous the Council would do this, and Luke can only remind himself over and over that it's not like they know what was going to happen. He can't help wondering if this isn't why Anakin Fell, though, but he doesn't want to think about it. It seems so outrageous, like something from a nightmare or another lifetime.

It definitely doesn't seem like something Luke could've lived through. Part of him wonders if he was sent to another reality instead of time-traveling, but he banishes the thought just as quickly. Even if he was, it doesn't matter. He's still here with the same purpose, that of destroying Sidious and keeping his family together. He's willing to do it whatever the cost, even that of his own life. Especially that of his own life – he doesn't belong in this time, anyway, no matter how badly he wants to stay here and get to know his parents.

"They try," Anakin replies, shaking his head. "I know you're upset and I – I am grateful for it, Luke, but it doesn't matter."

A surge of icy fury flares through him, but he quickly tones it down. There's no sense in lashing out, not that there's anyone to lash out at. "How," he demands. "How can you look at me and say, 'it doesn't matter'? You're my father. Of course, it matters!"

"Luke," Anakin answers, sounding tired, "That is how it always is. I'm willing to sacrifice myself for the greater good, if need be, as I should be."

It makes him wonder, with a start, that Luke doesn't know if he's angry because of what the Council did or because they put Anakin in this situation, that he doesn't trust him to do it.

And with good reason.

"I know you are selfless. You always have been, even in my time." Years ago, it had been something Luke wanted to live up to, to be like. Now that he knows him, he's beginning to realize more and more it's simply impossible – no one can hold the same light and purity that his father does.

"I would not put it that way."

"I would," Luke replies, firmly. He tries not to dwell on it, but the final memory of his father's living moments replays in his mind. He had known he would die, but he didn't care. Luke can't make sense of it, because that – that is what he sees in Anakin, not anything Vader ever said or did, though they do have some... strangely similar habits. They hold themselves much the same way, and Anakin's manner of speech is also an odd mix of formality and non-formal, depending on who he's speaking with. Luke understands that – he doubts Basic was his father's first language. He was a slave when he was young – he probably never learned.

Anakin looks at him again, the burning fire of his presence wrapping around Luke's. It's warm and comforting, and the single focused attention has a strange way of making Luke wonder if he is truly the only thing that matters to his father. He wonders, briefly, if he looked closer, if he'd seen the same on Vader, too. He almost wants to see him again, just to know, but it's probably best not to. That's the past. Forever. "The Jedi are... selfless. I am not the Jedi I should be."

Luke barely suppresses a sigh. He doesn't even see why Anakin thinks these things about himself. Although from everyone's attitudes, maybe it's not so surprising. "I told you before you're the best Jedi I met since I came here. You're everything I thought they would be." He pauses, a sudden thought forming in his mind. He doesn't want to leave his father yet, and they've had little time so far where it's only the two of them, when Anakin isn't busy. "Do you have to go back to the Senate yet?"

"I should soon," Anakin replies, "Palpatine will want an update on the situation."

Luke nods, suppressing his instinctive flare of anger at the mention of the name. "I was thinking maybe we could... meditate together?" The sense of foreboding he feels in the air is smothering him, and he thinks maybe that would actually help calm him. He can't afford to be irrational when dealing with Sidious.

Anakin thankfully agrees, so long as they don't take long, so they go to one of the meditation rooms at the Temple. He sits across from his father, letting himself sink into the Force, feeling the brilliant presence that shines as brightly as a star, but is still so gentle. Moments like this... it's all he's ever dreamed for, and he knows he'd do anything to keep Anakin away from Sidious.

***

The next several hours pass like a blur. Anakin goes over to talk to Padme again. Luke keeps his distance while his parents have a private conversation – mainly with his father relating how he has an idea of how to save her, which perks Luke's attention, but he doesn't press for details. If Anakin wants to tell him, he will. It's probably best not to push.

He's waiting outside the briefing room when he senses something in the Force. Something is wrong. Luke has been feeling it ever since he came, but it's even stronger now. He knows that feeling – that something very, very bad is about to happen, and with a jolt, he wonders if this is the end. Is this the final sequence of events which lead to the formation of the Empire? Something still isn't adding up, because he doesn't have the answers to why or how Anakin could have Fallen, but only time will tell. Luke had assumed it was right around the Empire's formation, but he may have been wrong.

Perhaps more so than he thought.

He wishes he knew what was going on inside the briefing room. Luke is certain Obi-Wan will be alright on Utapau, but he can't deny part of him is worried. He doesn't know this happened last time, and there is no guarantee of anything. There is no guarantee anyone involved will come out alive, and while Luke is well-accustomed to death and destruction, he doesn't want to witness it again.

He waits outside the briefing room, unease twisting inside him, until the door opens, and Anakin walks out. He looks... relieved and troubled, at once. "What happened?" Luke asks, immediately falling in step beside him.

"Cody contacted the Council," Anakin replies. "Master Windu told me to go tell the Chancellor."

"Go tell him?" Luke repeats, surprised. "Why not contact him?"

"It's not as though I could ask," Anakin replies. It sounds like he's attempting to joke, but it falls perfectly flat. Nothing with Luke was ever like this, and he has no idea how to handle any of it. "I don't understand it," he continues, "And I would prefer not thinking about it. He told me that this... will help determine what the Chancellor's intentions are."

Luke tries to suppress his flare of bitterness – this is about that mission again. It's likely to get his father killed, and if it does, that'll be on the Council – and himself for not stopping it. He wants to keep Anakin as far away from Sidious as possible, but nothing he does will matter if the Council doesn't stop messing around.

He tries to let out his anger into the Force, letting his rage flow away. It doesn't go as fast as his anger almost always does. He needs to be fair here – Luke doesn't know everything that's happening here. The Council should know what they're doing, but he's questioning that more and more.

Palpatine is looking at a projection of something when they come into the room, which he immediately shuts off, turning around. "Chancellor," Anakin greets, "We've just received a report from Master Kenobi. He has engaged General Grievous."

"We can only hope that Master Kenobi is up to the challenge," Palpatine replies. It sounds like genuine concern, but it also seems like... a way to push the conversation in a certain direction, especially from how Anakin looks away, staring at the floor.

"I should be there with him."

"It's upsetting to me to see that the Council doesn't seem to fully appreciate your talents," the Sith says sympathetically, "Don't you wonder why they won't make you a Jedi Master?"

And just like that, he can see all of Anakin's doubts and questions about that coming to the surface again. "I wish I knew," he replies, quietly. "More and more, I get the feeling that... I'm being excluded from the Council." He'd been defending the Council before, and now, he's suddenly questioning them again. Not that Luke thinks he should be taking this so passively anyway – the Council is being completely unfair, from as much as he understands – but he's suddenly seeing more and more how Palpatine is able to manipulate him so much. "I know there are things about the Force that they're not telling me."

That's... also very different from what he was saying when he was only with Luke, although he has to say he can't disagree. He can't trust the Council either anymore, seeing what they're like. "They don't trust you, Anakin," Palpatine declares, standing and walking towards them, "They see your future. They know your power will be too strong to control." He lays a hand on Anakin's shoulder as they walk up the steps, towards the doorway on the other side of the room. Luke trails behind them. "You must break through the fog of lies the Jedi have created around you."

Oh no. The direction this conversation is going... No, this is not good. "The Jedi are far from perfect," Luke interjects, "But they... are not lying." He doesn't know that he truly believes what he's saying, but he can't just stay silent while Sidious is manipulating Anakin like this.

"Aren't they?" Palpatine replies, turning to him, "You know they have always treated Anakin differently. There is a reason for it."

There's nothing he can say in defense of the Jedi to that, because it's the truth, though he doesn't understand the reason why. But whatever it is, it doesn't justify it. But he hates not being able to argue with everything Palpatine is saying, because he... does have some good points.

When Luke doesn't reply immediately, he continues. "They've always seen him as an outcast because he is different. You know they treat you the same way." Anakin looks... slightly uncomfortable at the line of conversation now, though he stays quiet.

"They don't know me," Luke argues, grudgingly.

"No, perhaps not," Palpatine muses, "But they are hiding something. They keep pushing for more control. They're shrouded in secrecy and obsessed with maintaining their autonomy. They keep Anakin out of everything important, even though he is on the Council." Palpatine turns to Anakin. "This is true, is it not?"

"Yes," Anakin admits, eyes downcast.

He wants to deny it, but... can he? His father would know better than anyone. The Council only rightfully want to know what's going on with Palpatine, but... If they want Anakin to spy on Palpatine, why are they telling him nothing about their suspicions? Of course, it's not likely Anakin would believe them anymore than he would believe Luke, but... The simple fact is that he can't trust the Council like he thought he would be able to, and he doesn't know what to do.

"They are lying to you and holding you back," Palpatine continues, turning back to Anakin, "Let me help you know the subtleties of the Force."

"How do you know the ways of the Force?" Anakin asks warily, stopping. He turns to face the Chancellor, immediately on guard.

"My mentor taught me everything about the Force," he replies smoothly. Too smoothly, and Luke already knows what he's about to say. "Even the nature of the Dark Side."

"You know the Dark Side?" Anakin demands sharply. His expression is slowly closing off as he realizes what the future-Emperor is telling him. This, Luke realizes with a jolt, is the expression Anakin always wears when he's at the Temple or near other Jedi. Even Obi-Wan.

"If one is to understand the great mystery, one must study all its aspects. Not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Jedi. If you wish to become a complete and wise leader, you must embrace a larger view of the Force," Palpatine responds, seeming unfazed. Anakin stares at him in silence, a stormy expression on his face. As he continues speaking, they start slowly circling each other. Their focus is completely on one another, almost as if they've forgotten Luke's presence. This, Luke knows, is the end. They're approaching the fight to destroy the Sith, and he's not quite sure what to think about that. Honestly, he'd hoped he'd have more time to prepare. Everything is about to come undone. It's too soon, and he is not ready for this.

"Be careful of the Jedi, Anakin. Only through me can you achieve a power greater than any Jedi. Learn to know the Dark Side of the Force, and you will be able to save your wife from certain death."

"What did you say?" Anakin demands sharply.

"Use my knowledge. I beg you." Beg? Come on. He's an unbearably good actor, even now. It's no wonder everyone was so fooled and watching it is making Luke feel downright sick.

Anakin's lightsaber hisses to life in his hands, and he levels it at him. "You're the Sith Lord!"

Luke immediately follows suit. They have their chance now, to take down Sidious. He revealed himself, and that's all they need.

Palpatine paces away from them, though he still looks unconcerned. "I know what's been troubling you. Listen to me. Don't continue to be a pawn of the Jedi Council. Ever since I've known you, you've been searching for a life greater than that of an ordinary Jedi. A life of significance, of conscience."

Anakin doesn't reply, but Luke can see the conflict raging in him. He can only imagine how much a betrayal like this must hurt – he can't really compare it to when he found out about Vader, but it took time before he could truly accept that.

"Are you going to kill me?" Palpatine asks calmly, turning away.

Which is when any hold Luke has on his anger just snaps. Palpatine really thinks he's that secure here, that he's willing to turn his back on them? It's much like what happened back on the Death Star, and Luke knows it. His control shatters, and he lunges forward.

Notes:

If you liked this maybe consider reviewing and/or leaving kudos...? :)

Final Notes: If you want to join our Discord to receive updates or just hang out, here’s the invite link! :) discord.gg/nqSxuz2

You can find us on tumblr at @fanfictasia (which is our more serious blog which does have controversial posts on it; I won't be offended if you choose to block it, promise), and @disastertriowriting (which is our fun blog with crack posts or incorrect SW quotes; we also advertise our SW gift exchanges on there)

And! We have a YT channel for tributes! :D youtube.com/channel/UC_g1M5rSCxJUzQCRS29B6pA

Finally, if you’re interested, you can submit a SW gift fic request via the following form: forms.gle/rmXWtRomMMaULuPa6