Actions

Work Header

Crisis Averted

Chapter 2: Chapter 2

Notes:

Grammarly Streak? Broken
Throat? Sore
Grades? Dropping
Fictional children? Traumatized
Hotel? Trivago?

Not having a fun time over here. Anyway, please enjoy!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

The silence around headquarters was suffocating.

They weren't a particularly loud group- they were a covert operations team after all- but for it to be this quiet was an indicator of how dour things truly were. For the longest time, the Justice League had been infallible. Not even the incident over twenty years ago had come close to taking out so many League members.

Jessica hovered around them, her arm in a sling. She and M'gann were their glorified babysitters, though M'gann was still assisting on the Metro Tower. Normally, Jess was the one they liked to have around, if only because she was a lot more lenient than M'gann.

But Lily wasn't an idiot. She knew her mother had sent Jessica here to keep them here until further notice. She knew the four of them were restless and wanted answers. She knew what would happen if eyes were off them even for a second.

Rex, who was next to her, shifted. "Pissed?" he asked lowly in Themysciran. It was the only language they knew Jessica's ring couldn't translate.

Lily didn't take her eyes off her book, but let out an annoyed huff. "If that's even the word for it," she replied quietly. She was somewhere in between livid and sad, her heart aching for her comatose father. What if he never woke up? What would Gotham do without him?

What would she do without him?

Rex glanced at Jess, then looked back at her. "My parents think CADMUS had something to do with this," he told her.

Lily pressed her lips together, her left eyebrow twitching at the name. It definitely fit CADMUS's style, but why? Why after all these years? Her fist clenched atop her knee; did Amanda Waller have a death wish? "Worth investigating," she commented.

He cringed. "They'll kill us," he pointed out.

The corner of her mouth twitched. "CADMUS or the League?"

Jess peered over at them, frowning. "Hey," she said skeptically. "Just what are you two-" The alarms suddenly began to go off, signifying an intruder alert. She sighed, powering up her ring. "Probably a civilian stumbling around. You three stay here, I'll go check it out." She hovered away.

Lily grinned. "Thanks, B," she said, her eyes flicking over to the speedster.

Barry leaned on her shoulder. "You know I hate being left out," he pouted dramatically. Teaching Barry Themysciran had been futile and as a result, he always had to be filled in later.

Rex nodded. "You're getting more discreet," he noted.

Lily pulled up her mini console, easily hacking into HQ's security system. It was, after all, the same as the Batcave's. "Ought to keep Lantern occupied," she murmured, locking down HQ.

Barry shuddered. "She won't like that."

"She'll deal." Lily began to track down the tracer she had put on Henry's suit years ago. Hey, she might have hated him but he was still a teammate. And teammates looked after one another. "Okay, first thing's first, Kent's just outside of Smallville. We'll fly over there, grab him, and then-"

Rex made a face. "Then what?" he asked, eyeing her suspiciously. "Attack CADMUS? Don't think that'll do much at this point."

Lily smirked. "Better," she said. Neither boy could see it, but her eyes burned with anger under her mask. "We're going to have a little chat with Amanda Waller."

OoOoOo

Things were running as smoothly as they could be. Their injured League members were healing well and the reconstruction of the Metro Tower was coming along. She knew things would take time, but Diana was thankful for the recovery period they were being given. It wouldn't last- as nothing ever did- but things were going well.

'Diana!' exclaimed Jessica Cruz via her communicator. 'Did the kids go back to the Metro Tower?'

Diana froze, then cursed under her breath in Themysciran. She should have seen this coming; this was her daughter after all. Still, she would have thought she had a little time to get things under control. "What happened?" she asked, trying to keep calm. Losing her head would do her no good right now and it certainly wouldn't find the children.

'The alarms went off at HQ,' Jessica told her. 'When I went to check it out, I got locked out of the building. By the time I got back all three of them were gone.'

The Amazon sighed, feeling a headache coming on. She couldn't be angry at Jessica; once Lily made up her mind about something, that was it. And unfortunately, the others were all too willing to follow her. "Come take my place at the Tower," she instructed. "I will deal with the children."

'You got it, boss.'

"Mister Terrific," called Diana once the communication ended. "I will be back shortly. Please continue operations while I'm gone."

"Sure thing, Diana."

With that, she flew off. She knew more than anyone that Lily was in a dangerous place right now. One didn't threaten the loved ones of an Amazon and then expect to walk away. Lily's heart was calling for vengeance, fighting against what her father had instilled in her for her entire life. She was going to end up doing something she would regret.

Diana had to get to her, and quickly.

OoOoOo

"This is a dumb idea."

Nightingale didn't look up from her work. "If you've got a better idea, Superboy, I'd love to hear it," she said calmly as she disabled the security system outside of Amanda Waller's house. It was surprisingly mediocre technology considering how important Amanda Waller was. But then, she was used to advanced technology.

"You know, I normally don't agree with Supes," said Kid Flash nervously, his eyes darting from side to side. "But maybe it isn't a good idea to attack a government liaison."

"We aren't attacking her," Nightingale hissed, agitated. She wasn't in the business of picking on old ladies. She just needed information, that was all.

Warhawk eyed the guards standing near the front gate. "Don't think they'll see it that way," he pointed out.

Hera help her, she was going to lose her shit. "The three of you could have stayed at HQ," she shot back. Maybe that would have been a better course of action. They weren't the best partners to have when it came to stealth missions anyway. "No one made you come along."

Before any of them could retort, the security system activated. The defenses turned on the guards, effectively knocking every one of them out. Nightingale smiled pleasantly, slowly rising up from her spot on the ground. She gestured to the now unguarded door. "After you, boys."

Warhawk shrugged, walking forward into the large house. Superboy followed and Kid Flash trailed after them. Nightingale brought up the rear, hacking into the motion sensors to be sure they weren't met with any surprises. But no, everything seemed to be clear. Odd that Waller wouldn't have more guards; she had quite a few enemies.

They finally reached what looked like an office. Nightingale just knew that the woman would be behind that door. "You guys should wait out front," she told the others. "If the League shows up, tell me and run."

Warhawk and Kid Flash shared a look. "And leave you by yourself?" asked the latter. "Doll, that doesn't sound like a good idea."

Nightingale sighed impatiently. "All four of us are not storming in there," she snapped.

"Well, we can't just leave you," insisted Warhawk, crossing his arms. "We're a team, we don't abandon each other." Nightingale glared at him, but he just stared right back at her.

Superboy apparently got tired of their arguing. "Come on, Kid Mouth," he muttered, yanking Kid Flash by his arm and dragging him away. "Warhawk can stay here, we'll keep lookout for the League."

For perhaps the first time ever, Nightingale was grateful for Superboy. "Sounds great," she agreed curtly as they left. She sent a pointed look at Warhawk. "You promise you'll stay here?"

He nodded. "I'd be stupid to get in your way right now," he commented dryly.

Nightingale smirked. "Smart choice." She looked at the door, her anger growing. This woman had destroyed so many lives in a single day. Those departed League members had families too. Waller didn't see them as people, she saw them as threats.

Her fists clenched as she opened the door.

OoOoOo

It had taken some time, but Diana had finally tracked them down to Amanda Waller's residence. "Damn it," she hissed as she spotted the unconscious guards laying all over the lawn. Lily had already done the damage, hadn't she? She touched down in front of the door, observing Henry and Barry as they noticed her arrival.

Diana put her hands on her hips. "Where is my daughter?" she demanded impatiently.

Barry flinched at her tone, but Henry was completely unphased. He kept staring at her with those violet eyes that were unmistakably Lois'. "You already know," he said, unshakingly.

Any other time, Diana may have commended him on his tenacity. But today, she had reached her level of patience. "Unless the two of you want your parents to find out about your little adventure," she began slowly. "I suggest you move aside."

They glanced at one another. Then, they took off in either direction, essentially disappearing from her view and prohibiting her from chasing them both. Diana nodded to herself; not bad. The children would make great heroes; this was something she had always known.

Diana walked into the house, noting that there were no signs of a break-in. She tried to fight the swell of pride in her chest, she was supposed to be angry after all.

Finally, she got to Waller's office. However, Lily wasn't inside like she had predicted. Instead, she was crouched down on the floor, staring blankly at it. Rex was next to her, his expression unreadable under his helmet. He was like John in that regard; a steady companion who would see you through your worst moments.

But even he seemed at a loss for words.

Diana's anger slowly evaporated as she kneeled onto the floor herself. "Darling," she uttered gently. "Whatever is the matter? What happened?"

It felt like forever before Lily finally raised her head. This was wrong; her daughter was witty and confident. She never hesitated. But she looked at her mother, her heartbreak evident behind her usually impervious mask. With shaky hands, she brought up her mini console. She showed it to her mother, unable to say anything about it.

Diana quickly read the information in front of her face. Then, her own rage flamed as she launched herself into Waller's office. She didn't hesitate to grab the woman by her neck, hoisting her against the wall. "Give me one reason why I shouldn't snap your neck," she growled.

Even though she was struggling to breathe, Waller still gave a smirk that was nothing short of evil. "After your near failure in Metropolis, is that the smartest move, Diana?" she taunted.

Diana's grip tightened; it was taking everything in her not to crush the woman's windpipe. "What is wrong with you?" she spat. "You're a sick, vile woman who planned on destroying an innocent boy's entire life."

"The world needs the Justice League," Waller gasped out. "There's no arguing that. But your League is flawed. Sporadic. Dangerous. We need a fresh start, a humbler Justice League."

Recognition sparked behind Diana's eyes. "This isn't merely about this Terrance McGinnis becoming The Batman," she realized. Horror settled within her stomach. "This was your plan all along. Get rid of us and have the children take over." Her eyes hardened. "But under your restrictions."

"And I thought Batman was the detective."

Diana dropped her, staring down at her with disgust as she desperately gasped for air. "I should kill you," she snapped. "Unfortunately, I have more important matters to deal with." She lowered herself to the ground until she and Waller were centimeters apart. "But know this, Amanda Waller. If you ever come near my family, my friends, or that child, I will personally end you myself." She stood up, looking down at the pitiful woman. "Rot in Tartarus."

Diana turned on her heel; she had a daughter that needed tending to.

Notes:

I hope you liked it and please review!