Actions

Work Header

Bad Day to Comforting Night

Summary:

Luke was having a good day, until he gets a phone call.

Notes:

I wasn't going to post this, tbh but I kinda just said 'eff it' and went for it. lol. Enjoy!

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Work Text:

Luke was having a good day. 

He woke up on his first alarm, feeling fantastic from a good night's sleep, and Artoo curled up next to him. His favorite coffee place wasn’t crowded; he got his usual and a little extra sweet as a result. He arrived at the office on time, and there were no urgent messages from any young entrepreneur or the nonprofits he worked with. He got to work and fell into an easy rhythm as he analyzed the numbers in the day’s accounts. 

Around noon, Leia called and delivered the news that his audit of the accounts of a corporation she was suing, she achieved victory in court. They relished in knocking another company off their high horse before Luke promised he would celebrate with his sister later that night. He would definitely call Din later and ask the Omega if he and Grogu could join the event.

So yes, Luke was having a very good day.

Luke’s cell phone rang. Briefly glancing at the caller ID, he greeted cheerily, “Hi, Uncle Ben! How are you doing?”

Obi-Wan’s melodious chuckle made Luke grin as he worked. “I am well, Luke. How about your day?”

“Fantastic!” Luke all but sang. “Did Leia call you about her win?”

“Oh? I’m afraid not yet.” Luke could imagine his uncle stroking his beard in thought. “But I am sure I am on her list.”

“Of course you are,” Luke agreed. “She knows she would be in big trouble if she didn’t.”

“Quite right.” Obi-Wan sighed, and Luke heard the signs of his uncle’s squeaky office chair. “While that is interesting news, this isn’t a friendly chat, unfortunately.” 

Luke frowned. 

Before he could ask for an explanation, Obi-Wan continued, “Satine just called me... She put in a hard recommendation that you head over to Nevarro Elementary.”

Luke froze. “Grogu’s school?” he quietly asked. 

Obi-Wan hummed in confirmation. “She wouldn’t tell me what was going on, but Bo-Katan is heading over there to handle something related to Din.”

Luke tossed his pen onto his desk and stood up so quickly that he got slightly dizzy. “Thank you for the information, Uncle,” he gasped as he gathered his stuff.

“Of course,” Obi-Wan murmured. “And please, drive carefully, Luke.” 

“I make no promises,” Luke attempted to joke. But even he knew it fell flat. 

Saying their goodbyes, Luke finished gathering his items, locked his office, and rushed toward his car. 


Parking his car in a visitor parking spot, Luke raced up the elementary school steps so fast that the Alpha nearly tripped over his feet- especially when he saw police cars out front. 

The empty entrance of the school didn’t reveal anything wrong. Blood rushing through his ears, Luke hurried further inside, the clicking of his heels reverberating through the halls as he followed the signs to the school’s office. There was no one in the halls and no signs of anything wrong, but that only deepened Luke’s worry. 

He didn’t even pause as he pushed right into the school office and met with a wall of the scent of a distressed Omega. The Alpha in him went on alert and tried to seek out what could cause the upsetting odor. Yet he only saw a standoff of some kind: the police officers and another person against Bo-Katan, who was sharply dressed in her lawyer attire. 

Not far away, Din stood with his arms crossed tightly over his chest. His expression was completely closed off, eyes tight with dark heavy under bags, and jaw clenched tightly. He stood tall and appeared as if he would attack anyone at any minute. That was probably why the school security guard was standing next to the Omega (though Luke knew that would have little effect if Din actually wanted to hurt anyone). 

When Luke entered, everyone turned to look at him. 

Din’s shoulders slouched an inch as his eyes went wide. “Luke?”

Without a second thought, Luke rushed toward Din. “Darling,” he breathed, coming to stand next to the Omega. He didn’t reach out to his partner at first. But when the other man dropped his arms and held them out slightly, Luke wasn’t about to say ‘no’ and brought Din close to him. 

The Omega burrowed his face into Luke’s neck, right over the Alpha’s scent gland. Luke’s heart fluttered when Din took a deep breath. He softly smiled and laced his fingers into Din’s thick wavy hair, keeping the other man close to him as long as the Omega needed. The only thing that set Luke on edge was that Din’s distress was so strong that it overpowered the Beta soap the Omega wore. 

Behind Luke, he heard Bo-Katan sternly state, “As I was saying, you will allow my client to have access to his child.” 

Luke frowned as Din stiffened in his arms before he pulled away from the Alpha. They both turned, Luke keeping an arm around Din’s waist, to see Bo-Katan glaring at the office worker between the two uneasy police officers. 

The man frowned with his arms crossed. “I was doing my job, ” he insisted. “That man,” he pointed to Din, “is an Omega that let a sickly child that isn’t his come to school-”

“I will sue this school, you neanderthal,” Bo-Katan snapped. “And I will take you to court on behalf of my client for your archaic views-”

“They aren’t archaic because there are still case studies about how Omegas will neglect children that are not their own!”

Din’s distressed scent spiked, making Luke’s teeth set on edge. He held onto the Omega tightly just to not storm over to the other man- another Alpha by his smell- and punch the man in the face. What the hell was going on? 

“One more word, Sir,” Bo-Katan sneered, “and you can promise you won’t have a job anymore.”

While the man turned to the cops for help, Luke's stomach felt sick as he turned to look at Din. His partner’s face was tight and closed off, lips pressed firmly together.

“Hey,” Luke whispered as he squeezed Din gently. “What’s going on?”

Din leaned into Luke’s body, face pulling into a grimace. “...He thinks I have neglected Grogu because the kid had an episode at school today.”

Luke frowned, not really understanding. 

Din closed his eyes tightly. “I brought him in late because we overslept,” he explained quietly. “He had a rough time last night for some reason, and I thought he would be okay. I had meetings I couldn’t miss with some important people.” 

When he opened his eyes, they implored Luke. “I already missed training this morning,” he said, voice getting faster. “And I couldn’t just blow off these meetings because they were some important people Boba insisted I needed to meet-”

“Hey, hey,” Luke soothed, maneuvering his body so one of his hands could touch Din’s cheek. The Omega closed his eyes tightly again and pressed his face against Luke’s hand, looking like he was about to break down at the simple touch. “You don’t need to explain things to me,” Luke promised, gently tracing one of Din’s facial scars with his thumb. “But tell me what happened?”

Din opened his eyes, brown orbs wet. He didn’t say anything at first but continued chokingly, “I got a call from the school that Grogu had an episode. I got here, and everything was going fine until I presented my ID to the office secretary.” 

He lifted his face to glare at the man next to the officers. “And then he started asking me questions about Grogu and how I raise him before saying that I clearly didn’t care for my son.” He looked back at Luke. “He called the police when I wouldn’t leave.”

“Oh, for Force’s sake,” Luke growled under his breath, a complete picture starting to come together, anger licking at his skin. An overprotective Alpha assuming the worst about an Omega with an adopted child. “Where are the principal and the assistant principal?”

Instead of Din, it was the school’s security guard- a beta- that answered as she shuffled toward them. “They are at an all-day school district meeting,” she stated. 

She glanced at the secretary. “I am so sorry about him,” she apologized calmly. “Our usual office secretary is out because he got sick, and this guy is a substitute. I tried to say Mr. Djarin was a wonderful father, but he wouldn’t listen to me. When I refused to throw Mr. Djarin out is when he called the police.”

A little bit of Luke’s anger wanned at her words. At least Din had someone in his corner before Bo-Katan and Luke got here. “Thank you,” he appreciated.

The security guard smiled. “No problem.” She jutted a thumb at Din. “And it isn’t like I could throw him out. Mr. Djarin is the one that taught some of those fancy MMA moves to the security guards that work here. He could probably get out of them faster than we can try and capture him.”

Luke snickered, appreciating that she was trying to keep him and Din calm with her sense of humor.

That was until the temporary secretary all but shouted, “Look! The Omega’s Alpha is here now, so I can let-”

“It is the principle of the matter now, Sir,” Bo-Katan snarled, her Alpha pheromones flaring. 

It fed Luke’s own internal Alpha as he glared at the other man. “ And I am not Din’s Alpha.” When the man’s smirk dropped, Luke gritted his teeth at the audacity this man had. But he needed to be calm for his partner. “I am his boyfriend. Grogu is Din’s child. ” Din’s scent became more distressed for some reason, but Luke put it down to the Omega’s need to be near his child. “And that child needs his father, who loves him very much.”

The secretary nearly sneered. “Then I am afraid-”

Before he could even finish the sentence, the office door burst open again. An ochre dark-skinned woman with neatly braided smooth, salt-pepper hair primly stepped inside. She wore a calm, friendly expression, but her dark eyes were sharp as she peered at everyone.

“Principal Ti,” the substitute sighed in relief. “Thank goodness you’re here.”

Principal Ti smiled slightly. “I received a notice I was needed immediately,” she nodded towards the security guard. “I believe there is a misunderstanding.”

She strode into the room. “But I am unaware of the details,” she added as she stood between the two groups. “Could you all explain?”

After explaining the events, Principal Ti closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She held it for a second before slowly releasing it and turning to Din. “Mr. Djarin,” she started, mouth pinched in contrite, “I am deeply sorry you had to experience this.” 

She looked at the security guard. “Will you please bring Grogu Djarin from the nurse's office, Officer Patel? He has been away from his father far too long.”

“Principal Ti!” the secretary all but screeched as the guard nodded and walked out.

Whatever words he would have said were silenced when Principal Ti turned to him. Her expression was serenely calm, but there was a hint of hardness in her eyes. 

“You said Mr. Djarin did all the right procedures to check his child out of school, correct?” she asked. 

The Alpha nodded. “But he-”

“But you,” she emphasized, “felt there was cause for withholding the child, despite not knowing both these people.”

The secretary went silent. “The child clearly was distressed when the Omega brought him in,” he tried to defend quietly. 

“But in what way? ” Principal Ti asked. “I imagine like a child that didn’t want to be separated from their parent. But how did Mr. Djarin act when he had to leave his child here? Was he also not distressed?”

The man didn’t say anything but, after a moment, reluctantly nodded.

“Sometimes,” Principal Ti went on calmly, “parents will come in because they think their child will be alright as they have important tasks to complete. And Mr. Djarin does have more important obligations than some of our other parents; he needed to handle those and thought his son would be fine at school.” 

The secretary bowed his head.

Luke tried not to smirk at Principal Ti’s words, though he was rather impressed. She didn’t sound like she was talking to a child, even though her words were so simple a child could understand what she meant.

“Now,” she went on, “I believe you owe Mr. Djarin an apology for this terrible misunderstanding you have caused. After, you and I will speak in my office.” 

The substitute was pale but nodded again.

Din remained ridged as the man turned to them. Luke tightened his arm around his partner’s waist as the other Alpha muttered an apology, not liking how sour Din’s scent had become. 

Din nodded back to the man and then looked at Principal Ti. “Can we go now?” he asked, with a hint of anxiousness. 

“Of course,” the woman nodded. “As soon-”

“Sorry to interrupt,” one of the officers spoke up. “But given how serious the accusation was, we will have to make a report.”

Din’s distressed scent spiked. 

Principal Ti turned to the officers with wide eyes. “I don’t see why you would need to.”

“Just procedure, Ma’am,” the other officer explained.

Din started to shake a little. 

Pulling his partner closer to him, Luke asked, “This won’t involve CPS, will it?” 

Both officers looked at one another with soft grimaces. “It might,” one admitted. “It could get to them-”

“Unacceptable,” Bo-Katan cut in sharply. “My client did nothing wrong.” 

Both officers nodded, “I understand, Ma’am-”

They were cut off by the door opening. The security guard came in with the school nurse in toe, Grogu in her arms. The little boy hid his face into the male nurse's neck until the group stepped into the room. His head then whipped around and found Din. Luke’s heart broke at the redness around Grogu’s eyes and cheeks as the little boy practically lept from the nurse’s arms to get to his father.

Din rushed to meet his son and picked him up. He hunched his body, turning away from the people in the room as if to protect Grogu. Luke’s heart broke at the sight as he joined the two of them, standing off to the side but between the two and everyone else.

Grogu whimpered as he held onto Din tightly. The Omega murmured soft words of Mando’a as he rubbed a hand up and down his son’s back. Din’s scent saturated the air, attempting to comfort his child.

Luke placed a hand on Din’s back comfortingly, pushing out his scent to help with Din’s nerves. He turned to the nurse. “Will he be okay?”

The nurse- a beta- nodded with a soft smile. “He may be a little hot, but that’s because he worked himself up,” he explained, handing Luke Grogu’s backpack and lunch box. “But he should be fine now that he is back with his fathers.”

Luke’s throat went tight. He opened his mouth to correct him, but Bo-Katan’s cutting voice announced, “My client is going home.”

Luke turned to see her staring hard at the officers. 

“You have his statement of what happened,” she continued. “If you have any more questions, you will do so through me.” She glared. “And I believe we can talk now so CPS won’t be involved in this disastrous fiasco.” 

The guards glanced at each other. “Ma’am-”

“I believe,” Principal Ti interjected, “that Ms. Kryze is right. But please,” she waved a hand towards a door in the back of the room. “Let’s finish this in my office while Mr. Djarin and Grogu go home.”

Din didn’t need to be told twice as he marched out of the office with only a brief goodbye to everyone and thanks to Bo-Katan. Luke quickly followed, corralling the two out of the building. 

Din quickly loaded Grogu into his van. When he turned to face Luke, the Alpha could see the other man wanted to get as far away as possible from the school but was taking a moment to talk to Luke. 

Din shifted on his feet, hands clenching and unclenching like he wanted to reach out to touch Luke. “I... I forgot to ask, but how did you know something was happening at Grogu’s school?”

Luke softly smiled, and he reached out to capture one of Din’s hands in his. “Uncle Ben called me,” he explained. “I guess Bo-Katan called Satine to have her call Ben, to have him call me.”

Din’s eyes watered, and he blinked to keep any tears at bay. “Sorry,” he murmured, hand squeezing Luke’s hand tightly. “I know you are busy-”

“I am never too busy when it comes to you or Grogu,” Luke interrupted. He stepped closer to Din, looking up, so their eyes continued to meet. “You and Grogu are never a problem,” he swore.

Din swallowed and blinked more tears back while the apples of his cheeks pinkened. “I...,” he cleared his throat, “I should let you get back to work.”

The Alpha in Luke rebelled at the words. Din was distressed, and Grogu was upset; they needed him. But he wasn’t about to insert himself into something when he wasn’t invited. Instead, he asked softly, “Are you sure? I can miss a day of work.”

The Omega’s face pinched before he shook his head, his scent full of confusion. “N-no,” he argued. “Your job is important.”

“Not as important as you,” Luke insisted with a squeeze of Din’s hand. “One day won’t be a problem.”

The scent of confusion increased, and it hurt Luke’s heart to see Din appear so caught off guard. As if he still couldn’t believe Luke’s words, even after all these months together. Perhaps it would be because they hadn’t said the “I love you”s yet, though Luke knew in his heart that he loved Din and Grogu more than anything.

“I...,” Din struggled through his words, “but people are counting on you.” 

“They will be okay,” Luke assured.

Din’s eyes lightened with small hope. But just as it appeared that he might allow Luke into his home, Luke’s cell phone went off.

The Alpha nearly cursed at the little device as he pulled it out of his pocket. He frowned upon seeing a client's number but didn’t answer it.

He looked at Din, and his heart ached at the resigned expression the other man wore. “Go,” Din urged. “People need you.”

Luke pressed his lips together as the phone in his hands stopped ringing. He wanted to say that whoever it was would be fine, that Din and Grogu needed him more. Then his phone rang again with the same number.

Sighing, Luke wanted to cry at Din’s understanding expression. “Can...,” he hesitated, unsure if his idea would be welcome. “After work, can I come by and see you and Grogu?”

Hopeful eagerness brightened Din’s eyes as he nodded slowly. “If you want...”

“I want,” Luke hastily nodded, ignoring his phone ringing a third time. “I really want.” 

Din’s hands trembled slightly as he pulled out his keys. He had trouble for a second but managed to get a key off. He cleared his throat. “Here,” he handed the key towards Luke, face pinkening, “this key will let you in.”

Luke frowned as he took it. “Won’t you need a key to get in?” he asked, knowing how thoroughly Din locked up the house, including the door in the garage that led inside. 

Din ducked his head while his hands fisted around his keys. “I, um,” he strangled out, “I have my own.” He glanced at Luke. “I, uh, had that key made a few days ago.”

Luke tightened his hand on the key, heartbeat stuttering while his breath caught. He slowly grinned, catching his own scent of a pleased Alpha in the air, but he couldn’t help it.

Fighting back the urge to purr, Luke nodded. “I’ll bring some food when I come over.”

Din nodded, face still red. 

Before the Omega could turn away, Luke stepped into the man’s space. Sliding his phone into his back pocket, he reached up and slowly brought a hand up around the back of Din’s head. The Alpha coaxed the other man’s head downward and relished in the soft gasp Din let escape as their foreheads touched. Din’s eyes fell shut as he pushed his head further against Luke’s.

Both of them remained that way, Din breathing deeply with his eyes shut tight as Luke stared at his love while gently running a thumb over one of Din’s scars.

When Din pulled away, he was more relaxed, but tiredness was deep in his eyes. 

Luke gently smiled and dropped his free hand to grip one of Din’s. “Text me when you get home?”

Din nodded, “I will.”

Luke would have been more than happy to stay this way for a moment longer, but then his phone started going off again. 

He sighed heavily as Din grinned. “Go,” Din urged again. “Grogu and I will head home.”

Refusing to pout, Luke stepped back. “I’ll text you when I get back to the office. And when I am on my way after work.”

Din nodded again with a slight smile. 

Luke continued to walk backward, fighting the desire to run back over to Din. To usher Din into the car and drive them to Din’s house, where they would spend the entire day together to heal. But Luke had a job to do. And although Din and he were close, they weren’t that close (giving Luke a key to the house was a step in that direction, however). 

Yet Luke had to turn away after a few steps to see where his car was. He ignored how he wanted to turn around when he heard the car door open and the engine start. 

Instead, he took a deep breath and strode towards his car as he answered his phone when it went off again.


When Luke finally let himself into Din’s house, it felt like he was about to burst out of his skin. For the rest of the day, he had fought with himself to keep working when all he wanted to do was gather Din and Grogu in his arms. To keep them safe from the world and ease any fear and worry that plagued them. But he had clients to help, and they needed him too.

The only thing that helped keep him at ease was Din’s text messages. Short phrases or one-answer responses but enough to know the Omega wasn’t blocking Luke out. That the plan for the evening was still okay.

After closing the office at the end of the work day, Luke had ordered from Din and Grogu’s favorite pizza place, ordering their favorites. He then went home and changed, gathered his old dog, Artoo, picked up the food and drink, texted his partner, and was on his way over to Din’s home.

Taking a deep breath, Luke calmed at the familiar scent of Din and Grogu. Moving into the house with Artoo by his side, neither of the Djarins were in the living room. That made Luke and Artoo climb the stairs to the second floor.

Luke followed his instinct, first to Grogu’s room, but no one was there. He then moved to Din’s door. 

He knocked gently and waited. It took a moment, but he heard a familiar rasp telling him to come in.

Opening the door, he let Artoo in first as he balanced the food and drinks in one hand. When he walked in, he silently closed the door behind him. 

His heart ached when he smelled the familiar light scent of distress in the air. It didn’t saturate the room, but it was enough for Luke to know that the events from earlier today still ate at the two people he loved. 

Shaking his head, Luke took stock of the area but didn’t see anybody. But Artoo had walked toward the closet, the door slightly opened, and pushed his way inside. Luke followed and pushed the door open wider.

His throat and heart clenched at the sight. The majority of Din’s walk-in closet was now a fort of blankets and pillows, big enough for three full-grown adults. It was a little haphazard but held up against the pillows and walls. Din’s clothes had been pulled down to intentionally surround the little camp, and there were probably more clothes inside. Artoo was at the entrance, tail lazily wagging as he waited to be allowed in.

In a small gap at the top of the fort, two sets of brown eyes peeked through. The sight would have made Luke laugh in any other circumstances. 

Luke smiled softly. “May we come in?” 

The eyes disappeared, but Din’s foot kicked out to open the flap of the fort wider. Artoo bustled his way in first, and after Luke passed the goodies and closed the closet door. 

Before he followed in, he removed the glove over his right hand, knowing how much Din liked it when the Alpha didn’t hide his scars. And Force knew Din needed as much comfort as he could. (It made Luke love Din all the more, and he once again said a silent thank you to the Universe that the Alpha found such an understanding partner that accepted all of him.)

When inside, Din’s spiced-earth Omega scent and Grogu’s child smell washed over Luke. They mingled heavily in the air, indicating that the two of them had been in here for an extended time. Maybe since they had come home. (Luke didn’t want to think about that because it would only make him feel glum.)

Artoo found his spot around Grogu and Din’s heads, letting the older man lay on his stomach. Grogu was pressed up against his father, head nestled into the Omega’s chest. Luke breathed a silent sigh of relief that Grogu’s face looked much better. His eyes were bright, and he grinned as he waved at Luke but made no move to extract himself from Din. 

“Hey buddy,” Luke greeted as he crawled across the blankets on the floor. Slowly, so if Din didn’t want him there, he slit himself behind Din’s back, matching the way the other man lay on his side. “You feeling better?”

As the little boy nodded, Luke stuck one arm between Din and the ground- not caring that he would probably lose feeling in it later- and wrapped the other around Din. He pulled the two Djarins close to him before he laid his head on Artoo’s body to act as a pillow. 

“And you?” Luke asked before he kissed the back of Din’s head. 

“Better,” Din murmured, turning his head to look over his shoulder. 

Luke hummed in acknowledgment and pulled father and son closer to him. He kissed Din’s cheek. “I’m glad.” 

“You locked the front door when you came in?” Din asked, a bit of anxiousness in his tone. 

Luke took no offense as he nodded. “Locked and alarm set.”

Din sighed in relief, body curling tighter around Grogu. 

“You two hungry?” Luke asked. In lieu of actual words, two rumbling sounds filled the air.

Luke bit his lip to not giggle. “Well, that is answer enough,” he teased.

Din started to move. “I’ll just-”

“No, you won’t, ” Luke huffed, locking Din in place. “You’ll let me get your food ready.” 

Din frowned. 

Luke kissed the man’s cheek again. “Let me take care of you,” he offered. “It has been an emotional day for you both.”

Din didn’t say anything, but Luke watched a war wage across the Omega’s face. He was probably fighting all instinct to let Luke do as he wanted, but eventually, he nodded.

Luke grinned and kissed his love’s cheek again before withdrawing. The food was at their feet, and the Alpha had to keep his head awkwardly low as he loaded pizza slices and cheese sticks onto paper plates he had the forethought to bring. But there was an archaic part of his brain that was pleased with being able to provide for the man the Alpha loved and the child they cared about. Part of him desired to hand feed Din, but he knew it would hurt Din’s pride. Even if Luke was coming from a place of love. 

They set up Grogu with his tablet to watch the Galaxy of Adventures, Luke and Din snuggled together. Din’s head rested on Luke’s shoulder while Luke’s head rested on Artoo’s stomach. 

Luke wrapped his arm around Din and Grogu, breathing deeply into Din’s hair. Din’s scent was still a little sour, but it was mostly full of the familiar calmness that Luke was used to. 

“Has Bo-Katan had to call you?” Luke softly asked. 

Din shook his head. He turned his face into Luke’s shoulder and took a deep breath. “She sent me a text about still suing the man,” he murmured, “just as some sort of message. I’m not sure if I want to go through with it.”

Laying on his back, Luke reached over his chest to take Din’s closet hand. He squeezed it, not saying that Din should or shouldn’t. He would come to that decision later. “I’ll support you, no matter what you choose to do.”

Din nodded and took another deep breath. 

“Do... do you think that man was right?” Din cautiously asked. “That I-”

“You will stop that train of thought right there,” Luke snapped. He mourned when Din jerked his head back, but it was for the best so they could look at each other.

Luke frowned sharply at Din’s cautious look. “You are a wonderful parent,” he stated. “But even the best parent can’t always protect their child, especially from themselves.” He should know, given his own family. 

Squeezing Din’s hand tightly, Luke went on. “You did your best,” he reiterated. “And when you got the notice that Grogu wasn’t doing well, you rushed right to him. Don’t let that kraking idiot let you think otherwise.”

Din’s eyes cast downward. “Do... do you think another parent would have done the same thing I did, though? Let their child go to school after a rough night?”

“Probably,” Luke answered honestly. 

Din’s eyes lifted.

“You thought Grogu would be okay,” Luke murmured comfortingly. “Grogu loves school. Loves his friends and teachers. He knows how to bounce back even if you had a rough morning.” He smiled slightly. “You had no way of knowing it wasn’t going to be okay when it has been fine in the past.”

Din’s scent became entirely calm, and he relaxed in Luke’s hold. His mouth wobbled into a weary smile. “Thank you, Luke,” he whispered.

Luke huffed. “No need to thank me when it is true, Darling.” He giggled. 

Din nodded before his face fell back into Luke’s shoulder, and breathed deeply.

Silence fell, the only sound filling the space being from Grogu’s show. Luke took a moment to enjoy this peace, to breathe in Din and Grogu’s scent and have it interlace with his own.

After a moment, Din raised his face to meet Luke’s again and said, “Thank you again for coming.”

Luke shook his head. “No need to thank me,” he insisted. “I would come running for you and Grogu no matter what.”

Din pressed his lips together and swallowed. It looked like he wanted to say something but was holding himself back. 

Luke’s heart fluttered as he knew what he was going to admit. Yet he wasn’t even slightly nervous. “Din,” he leaned forward and kissed the Omega’s forehead, “never doubt that I’m yours. Whenever you need me, I’ll be there.”

Eyes watering, Din looked stricken, his scent starting to shift slightly. “You... you mean that?”

Luke would have giggled at the ridiculous question if Din didn’t appear so confused. So he turned slightly onto his side and raised his hand to cradle the back of Din’s head. 

Luke messaged Din’s scalp soothingly. “I know it isn’t something we talked about,” he admitted sheepishly, resisting the words he wanted to say on the tip of his tongue. “But yes, I mean it. I give myself to you if you will have me.”

Din appeared a little shaken by the news, which was fair.  He released an uneven breath. “Then- Then you know I am yours too, right?”

Luke froze, the words striking at his heart. His throat grew tight, and he tried his best to stop any wetness from forming in his eyes. “Din...”

“I love you, Luke,” Din whispered fiercely, a tear escaping. 

A whimpered escaped Luke's throat before he pulled Din’s head so their mouths could meet halfway. The- no, his- Omega gasped into the kiss, but it was short-lived before he pushed back. 

Luke closed his eyes tightly and kissed with everything he had. Their kiss was like a promise, sweet and full of hope. It spoke of an uncharted future that they would share together. 

In his heart, Luke knew he loved Din. He would give his Omega anything if the man asked for it. But the Alpha never would ask Din to love him in return. Would never ask Din to surrender himself and let Luke in, not after everything Din had worked so hard for. All Luke could ever hope for was just to be allowed to be a part of Din’s life as long as the other man would let him.

But Din, his sweet Omega, loved Luke. His words still rang in the Alpha’s ears. They were a balm to the little tears in Luke’s heart that he had just gotten used to being there. Where he gave everything and was content to never receive anything back.

When they pulled apart, Luke whispered into Din’s mouth, “I love you, I love you, I love you so much, Din.”

Din smiled that beautiful wide smile that twisted his scars and made his eyes shine. “I love you too,” he whispered back. 

Luke’s breath caught. But when he tried to lean in again for another kiss, Din pulled away slightly and hurriedly added, “So because I am yours, you do realize that Grogu is yours too?”

Luke froze again, eyes flickering over to Grogu. The little boy lifted his head at his name and looked at the two adults with wide eyes. 

Heart pounding, Luke felt like he was melting as tears filled his eyes. “You mean that?” he asked, looking back at Din. 

Din nodded while he still smiled. “We’re a packaged deal.” He ducked his head a little. “I was thinking of adding you to his registered people that can drop off and pick him up,” Din said, cheeks reddening. “If you want.”

“Yes!” Luke wrapped his arms around father and son and brought them close. He giggled as Din chuckled. Despite the awkward angle, his Omega kissed his chin and then focused on Grogu when the boy wiggled up to look at both adults. 

“Favorite next,” Grogu said and pointed at the tablet. 

“Your favorite episode is next?” Luke asked with a sniff, wiping away the wetness in his eyes. 

Grogu nodded excitedly. “Watch together!” He pointed at Artoo. “Artoo too!”

Din chuckled. “If he is up for it,” he agreed. “He is an old dog.”

Because said dog was so intelligent, Artoo bark-huffed and started to stand. 

Luke laughed as everyone shifted, so Artoo was now facing Grogu’s tablet. “I stand corrected,” Din huffed. 

Luke giggled and pulled everyone close to his chest again. “So what has happened so far, Grogu?” he asked as if he didn’t already know.

As their son started to explain with hand signs and words, Luke held tightly to his little family. A family he could have only hoped would allow them to be a part of their lives but now would be entirely in their whole world. 

He kissed the back of Din’s head. “I love you,” he whispered again into his Omega’s ear.

Din turned his head to allow Luke to kiss his cheek. “I love you, too,” he whispered back with his beautiful smile. 

Grogu then giggled at the adults. “Grogu loves too!” Grogu yelled as Artoo barked. 

Luke laughed. “Good! Cause I love you too, Grogu! And, of course, I love you, Artoo.”

The little boy shrieked happily, waving his arms. He then started to babble about where he left off about his show.

It warmed Luke to the very core. The heat only increased when he met Din’s eyes again and saw the Omega’s love and adoration shine through.

Luke couldn’t help but kiss him again before they both focused back on what Grogu was saying.

Notes:

Could be part of a bigger series, idk. I just needed to scratch an itch. Hope you all enjoyed!