Actions

Work Header

Yellowstone's Legacy

Summary:

When his fiancée brings home two unruly teenagers, Rip has to take on a role he'd never thought he'd have-father. But what happens when one of the teens ends up falling for him instead?
Female OC x Rip Wheeler

SPOILERS FOR YELLOWSTONE THROUGH SEASON 4

Still working on this, apologies for the wait.

Notes:

I will be posting 1 chapter a day until the first fifteen are out, then 1 a week from that point on. Please leave comments, they motivate me to continue!

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Summary:

Rip gets more than he bargained for when his fiancée brings home two teenagers.

Chapter Text

"Who the fuck are they, Beth?" Rip asks, slamming the front door and staring down at his fiancée.

"I think they're ours, baby," Beth responds simply, taking a drink of her beer then setting it on the porch step beside her.

"Fuck no, they ain't," Rip says, giving Beth a hard look.

"They don't have anywhere to go, Rip. They're like you."

"They have everywhere to go. Everywhere but here. What the hell were you thinking? Teenagers aren't toys, they're problems. Don't you think we have enough of those?"

"Fine, but you'll have to be the one to tell 'em," Beth says, taking another swig.

Rip turns around and opens the door, stepping back into the house where two teens sit eating tuna-burger-helper. The siblings have matching black hair and blue eyes and are wearing clothes that haven't been washed in a week.

"Who are you?" Rip asks angrily.

"Uh, I'm Carter, and this is my sister Lila-"

"Nevermind, I don't care. Get out. Both of 'yuns," Rip says as he stands by the doorway. When they stare at him blankly, he takes a threatening tone. "Y'all too stupid to understand? I said get the fuck out NOW!"

That message gets through to them loud and clear. They scramble out of the dining room chairs and toward the door.

Carter rushes past with his head tucked, but Lila looks defiantly at Rip as she passes, light blue eyes blazing with anger behind her messy waves of hair.

"Don't forget your shit!" Rip says, grabbing their backpacks and throwing them carelessly in their direction.

"Sorry, we tried our best," Beth says to the teens as they exit the house in a hurry.

"Where do we even go?" The boy asks, pulling his backpack over his shoulder as they approach the road.

"You have four choices," Rip says, "north, east, south, and west. Pick one and start walking."

"Come on, it's only ever been us and we were stupid for thinking things could be any different." The older sister spits on the ground, grabs her brother by the backpack handle, and pulls him with her away from the house.

Rip gives Beth a look and she follows him into the house, bringing their beers with her.

"Now what the hell was that, Beth? I don't remember you being one to bring home strays," Rip says, closing the door behind them.

"Those kids out there? They're you twenty years ago. Young, alone, nothing but the clothes on their backs and no place to go," Beth says, handing Rip his beer. He drinks it all in one swig and sets the glass on the table.

"They aren't me, Beth. I had no one. They have each other. They'll be fine."

"They'll be in trouble in a week. The boy's reckless and the girl has an attitude."

"That isn't our problem, Beth. I've got enough to deal with. Don't need them two making things worse."

Beth shrugs. "Whatever you say, baby. I'm going to bed."

Rip runs a hand through his black curls. "Alright honey, I'll be there in a minute."

"Love you," Beth says, ascending the stairs, her long red hair lit up by the foyer light beside her.

"Love you too, baby," Rip says, his tone gentle for the first time all day. He watches his gorgeous fiancée ascend the stairs until the last sliver of her sundress disappears behind her.

He lets out a sigh and grabs Beth's unfinished beer, leaning against the table and drinking the rest while looking out the window.

"What the-" Rip says as he glimpses movement.

"These little shits," he growls, throwing the front door open.

"Hey! What the hell do you think you're doing?" Rip yells, making his way across the porch and down the steps in three long strides.

"Fuck!" They say in tandem from where they stand near Beth's car. The girl runs, but her brother freezes in place. She grabs his arm and tries to drag him away.

"Couldn't wait for me to go to sleep? You're both fucking idiot thieves, you know that?" Rip says, easily making it to the kids and grabbing the boy by his collar.

"Take your hands off him!" The girl screams, tearing at Rip's jacket. He pushes his forearm into her and she falls into the dust, sputtering.

"Don't you even think about it, girl," Rip says to Lila, then turns to her brother. "Can't let you fucks stay and can't make you leave either. Get back inside," Rip says, throwing Carter toward the porch.

Noticing his back turned, Lila pulls a switchblade from her jean pocket. Rip hears the subtle click of the knife flipping into place and turns to the girl on the ground at the same moment she lunges for his legs.

With one swift movement, he steps to the side and her swing hits air, sending her into the dirt face-first. This time, she screams in pain.

"What did your idiot sister do to herself now?" Rip gripes, kicking her switchblade away. He uses the toe of his boot to flip her over.

Blood flows from a wound on her left shoulder. It doesn't look deep, but it needs stitches. She groans and slaps her hand over the wound, wincing.

"I knew you two were nothing but trouble. Now you've gone and given me even more work, dammit."

He offers a hand to her, but she looks up with hateful eyes and stays on the ground. "No thanks, I'd rather die."

"Well, I'd still have to carry your corpse to the nearest hole, so you can have me move you now or later."

Stubbornly, she stays seated, blood seeping between her fingers.

"Fine."

Rip leans over and picks her up, tossing her over his shoulder like she weighs nothing. She kicks her feet and pounds at his back with one bloody fist, but Rip barely registers it.

"What are you looking at, boy? Didn't I tell you to get inside?" Rip growls at the kid who had been watching from the porch. The boy rushes inside, making space for Rip to bring his thrashing sister through the doorway.