Actions

Work Header

The Difference a Wife Makes

Summary:

Following the death of both parents, Lord Anthony Bridgerton must take a wife to help him raise his siblings.

The difference made to one family and their friends following the marriage of one man and one woman in 1807.

OR

Anthony marries Kate in 1807 and together they raise the rest of the Bridgerton siblings and the ways this changes things.

Notes:

This fic is something that has been rattling around in my head for some time. I have been spending far too much time lately lurking on this site reading Bridgerton fics. My characterisations are a mix of book-canon and show-canon along with how I think people would have interacted with each other in the Regency era.

My Anthony is based partly on how I felt after finishing the epic A Thousand Cuts by the amazing wall_e_nelson; I hope that my characterisation is as original as I can make it within this universe that is living in my brain.

Thank you for taking the time to read my nonsense :)

Chapter 1: Prologue - Part One

Chapter Text

1805

Anthony stood in the corridor outside the Viscount’s chambers at Bridgerton House, his chambers in name but not practicality, as the doctors tended to his mother. Violet Bridgerton had never fully recovered from Hyacinth’s birth two years prior, the complicated and drawn-out labour occurring as soon as it did after the death of her husband and had spent the last two years alternating between spending long periods of time in her bed and emerging to try and hold sway over her children who over the last two years had both grown used to her absences and in the case of the youngest two Bridgertons, outright forgotten who she was. 

 

“My Lord,” the doctor said, emerging from the chamber, his head bowed, “I am sorry My Lord but I am afraid we have been unable to stop the progress of the fever, your mother has passed.”

 

Anthony closed his eyes and leaned on the wall heavily, “Thank you for your efforts,” he said faintly as the man filed out of the house.

 

“Anth?” Benedict asked as he watched the doctor leave, “What have they said?”

 

“She’s gone,” Anthony replied, “They couldn’t do anything this time ... I need to speak to someone about getting her back to Aubrey Hall.”

 

“Shit,” Benedict breathed as he sagged against the wall for a moment before straightening and looking directly at Anthony, “What do you need me to do?”

 

“Send letters to the Rokesbys and Aunt Winnie,” Anthony replied, “By express messenger, tell them to meet us at Aubrey Hall. I’ll contact the undertakers and the solicitors,” he continued, “Then we need to tell the children.”

 

Benedict nodded before stepping forward and embracing his brother, the two men silent for a moment in their grief.

 


Two days later Anthony dropped into a chair next to his friend, Simon Bassett, at their usual table in Whites. Simon had already obtained a carafe of whisky and two glasses, “Bridgerton,” Simon greeted as the other man sat, nodding as Anthony drained his glass quickly.

 

“I’m leaving,” Simon announced as Anthony poured another glass, “I’ve bought passage on a boat to the Indies and I’m sailing on Wednesday. There’s room, you could come too.”

 

“My mother died two days ago,” Anthony replied blankly, “I can’t do anything ever again. I’ve got seven children to raise now.”

 

Simon stared at his oldest friend in shock, he remembered the terrified look on Anthony's face when his father had died the summer before they took up at Oxford and the frantic man that finally arrived during their second term but this Anthony, this man, looked broken. 

 

“So what’s your plan?” he asked quietly.

 

“Get Mother back to Aubrey Hall and buried,” Anthony replied, his tone still flat, “Then pay out my degree early, get Ben back to his, Colin back to Eton and sort out the rest of them somehow. I suppose at some point I’ll also find a wife,” Anthony knocked back his second whisky and stared blankly at the table before pouring a third. 

 

“Do you remember those last few weeks at Eton?” he asked with a hollow laugh, “When we planned our world tour? I’m never going to do that,” he continued, “Never going to see the world; my life is over now.”

 

Simon looked at Anthony, “I’ll keep in touch,” he said quietly, “But you know I can’t stay. Don’t let yourself drown Ant, and invite me to the wedding when you find your wife.”

 

1807

 

Anthony stood at the edge of the ballroom watching the festivities; this was his second season since the family had emerged from their mourning period and he was determined to make this the season that he procured a wife. He was the only Bridgerton present, the children were too young to attend any events and Benedict had decided to stay with them in the country for a few more weeks following his return from Oxford at the start of the season. 

 

Anthony sighed, he felt older than his 23 years and when talking with his old Eton and Oxford friends, he felt even older; he had the responsibilities of the estate, the title and his younger siblings to contend with; he would need a wife who could help him with all of them, not a silly chit just out of the schoolroom who would only add to his load.

 

“Lord Bridgerton,” Lady Danbury greeted from his side, “All alone tonight, I thought there was another one of you old enough to attend these events.”

 

“Lady Danbury,” Anthony returned with a small bow, “Yes, my brother Benedict but he is back in the country with the children for a few more weeks.”

 

“And you are continuing your hunt for the Viscountess,” Lady Danbury concluded, “Any prospects so far?”

 

“None that I can imagine putting up with my siblings,” Anthony replied, honestly, “Plenty that would like the title and prestige but I can’t abandon my responsibilities.”

 

“Of course not,” Lady Danbury agreed, “I am not sure if you are aware but I am helping a dear friend this season. Her step-daughter is in town and I am sponsoring her debut. She is older than most debutantes and will understand some of your responsibilities.”

 

“And it would help your dear friend if this girl was married off to a Viscount?” Anthony asked, looking over at his mother’s old friend with a wry smile.

 

Lady Danbury tapped the floor with her cane, “I always said you were bright Lord Bridgerton!” she laughed, “Here she comes now, Lord Bridgerton, may I introduce Miss Katherine Sheffield; my ward for the season.”

 

Anthony bowed slightly, “Miss Sheffield,” he murmured, “How are you finding London?”

 

“Well so far, my Lord,” Kate replied, “But I must confess I am missing my younger sister.”

 

“Is she not yet out?” Anthony asked as they took a turn around the ballroom, “I have several younger sisters that are still in the country.”

 

“Edwina is eleven,” Kate replied, “So she has time yet. How old are your sisters, my Lord?”

 

“Daphne is fifteen,” he replied, “Eloise is also eleven, Francesca is ten and Hyacinth is four.”

 

Kate’s eyes widened slightly, “Several sisters indeed,” she murmured, “I dare not ask but do you have any brothers?”

 

Anthony grinned, “You mean you have not been told of us?” he teased, “I have three brothers, Benedict is twenty-one; he should be here but has decided to stay in the country for a few weeks. Colin is sixteen and Gregory is six.”

 

“My goodness,” Kate gasped, “Lady Danbury did mention that you were the head of your family but she didn’t tell me the extent of it! It is simply myself, Edwina and our mother at home.”

 

“Can I call on you in the morning?” Anthony asked as he deposited Kate back with Lady Danbury. The older woman looked over their interaction with a smug half-smile on her lips and a knowing glint in her eye.

 

Kate smiled, “Of course,” she replied, blushing slightly, “I look forward to it.”


It was soon accepted around the Ton that Viscount Bridgerton had found his wife; he was regularly seen calling on Miss Kate Sheffield and escorting her around various Mayfair ballrooms. Six weeks before the end of the season, Anthony arrived at Lady Danbury’s house with the family betrothal ring safely tucked in his pocket. He emerged an hour later with a fiancee and strict instructions from the formidable Lady Danbury to have the marriage licence sorted and the church booked before the end of the season. 

 

“My siblings are all coming up to town for the wedding,” Anthony said when they were promenading around Hyde Park, “I would like for you to meet them, they can be a little much altogether but I do want you to meet them.”

 

“I would love to,” Kate smiled, “I feel like I know them already, with all your stories. My mother and sister are coming to town in the next few days as well, maybe we could all meet then?”

 

“That sounds perfect,” Anthony replied, “I’m sure Lady Danbury will arrange something.”

 

Just as they rounded onto Grosvenor Square, one of the two Bridgerton carriages slowed to a halt outside of Bridgerton House. A footman helped Daphne from the carriage and then reached in to lower the two youngest Bridgertons to the floor.

 

“Anthony!” Hyacinth shouted as she saw him, “Anthony!” Hyacinth took off at a run towards her oldest brother. Anthony smiled at Kate and mouthed an apology as he squatted down onto his haunches and gathered the small girl into his arms as she squealed in delight. 

 

“Ben said you are getting married,” Hyacinth said as Anthony stood, “Are you getting married?”

 

“I am,” Anthony replied, “To Miss Sheffield,” he turned Hyacinth slightly so she could see Kate, “Run back to Ben and I’ll be back when I’ve taken Miss Sheffield home.”

 

Hyacinth nodded and clambered down before running back towards Benedict, her hair ribbons flying out behind her, “So that was Hyacinth,” Anthony smiled as he took Kate’s arm and they continued towards Lady Danbury’s house. 

 

“She seems sweet,” Kate smiled, “And she clearly loves you. I can’t wait to get to know them all properly, I think my Mama wants to promenade tomorrow, maybe we could have a picnic?”

 

“I’m sure I’ll be able to get them all into the park,” Anthony confirmed, kissing her hand as he left her at the bottom of the steps of Danbury House, “I shall see you tomorrow.”


A few hours later Anthony sat in the nursery at Bridgerton House with Hyacinth on his lap and Gregory sitting on his feet, Eloise and Francesca had stopped their complaints at being too old for the nursery and were sitting quietly on one of the day beds, “So will she be like a new Mama?” Gregory asked as he looked at Anthony.

 

“No she won’t!” Eloise protested, “We don’t need a new Mama!”

 

“El,” Anthony sighed, before looking at Gregory, “She won’t be a new Mama,” he answered softly, “But she will be my wife and she will help to look after you all; do the kinds of things that I sometimes forget.”

 

Hyacinth frowned and tried to burrow her way further into Anthony’s chest, “So she won’t be like another sister?” she asked, “Would she be like El and Frannie’s governess?”

 

“No,” Anthony answered, “It’s hard to explain,” he sighed, and looked at his other younger sisters, “She won’t be replacing anyone,” he stressed, “She won’t be trying to be a new Mama for you all but she will help me, help you all. Do you remember when Daphne moved out of the nursery?” he asked, seizing on something that the girls had experienced a few years earlier, “And you all thought that she was really sick?”

 

Eloise and Francesca nodded, remembering the terror they had felt seeing the blood on Daphne’s night clothes and bedding, “Well, Kate will be able to help you all with things like that,” Anthony continued, “Things that I don’t know about; and Greg,” he smiled thinking of his own conversations with their mother as he went off to school, “She’ll be able to help you when you go off to school in a few years.”

 

The four youngest children all sat quietly, Eloise and Francesca with mutinous expressions. Anthony sighed, “I will still be here,” he promised, “I do believe that this will be a good thing; she isn’t replacing anyone and she isn’t stealing me either.”

 

Eloise and Francesca looked at each other and frowned, having one of their silent conversations, “We reserve judgement until we have met her,” Eloise stated, “But, we concede that you having a wife might be a good thing for us.”

 

Anthony smiled, “Thank you,” he replied, matching the serious tone in which Eloise had made her announcement, “She will be coming for dinner tomorrow evening with her mother so you will meet her then. Now go on, run downstairs and see what the cook has made, I’ll be down soon.”

 

The two girls ran out of the nursery and Anthony could hear them chatting as they ran down the staircase. He moved Hyacinth slightly and pulled Gregory onto his other knee, “Do you two understand now?” he said softly, “I’m still going to be around and I’ll still be here for you both.”

 

Gregory nodded, “I want to meet her first like El and Frannie,” he declared, “But if you think she is nice, I think she will be nice too.” With his statement made, Gregory jumped from Anthony’s lap and moved over to his toy soldiers.

 

“Hy,” Anthony said softly, running his hand through his sister's curls, “Are you OK?”

 

“You’re not leaving us too?” she eventually whispered, “Do you promise?”

 

“I promise,” Anthony said, “I promise that I will not be leaving you.”

 

Hyacinth nodded and reached up to whisper in Anthony’s ear, “I would like a Mama,” she said softly, “I love you Anthony.”

 

“Love you too,” Anthony said, pressing a kiss to the top of her head, “Now I’m going downstairs but if you need me, tell Nanny to come get me.”


 

Anthony entered his study after his four youngest siblings were all safely in the nursery. He hoped that he was doing the right thing in marrying Kate and that his siblings were not all totally set against the idea. A soft knock on the door brought him out of his musings and after calling for whomever was there to come in, he was not surprised to see Colin and Daphne’s heads peeking around the door.

 

“Come in you two,” he smiled, “I’m guessing you have some questions?”

 

“Only a few,” Colin nodded, “We understand why you would want to take a wife, brother, but we want to know what it means for us.”

 

Daphne nodded from her position next to Colin, “Will we be sent to live somewhere else?” she asked, “And if we are, what can we keep?”

 

“And,” Colin added before Anthony could reply, “Will your marriage impact our prospects? Not mine, but the girls, will the girls all still be fine?”

 

“Stop!” Anthony exclaimed, “You will continue to live here or at Aubrey Hall as you have always done,” Anthony looked them both in the eyes, “Nothing about your residence, your possessions or your prospects will change. For any of you.”

 

“And she will be kind to us?” Daphne pressed, “She won’t lock us away and favour your own children?”

 

“Heavens Daphne!” Anthony exclaimed, “What have you been reading? Miss Sheffield will be my wife, she is not looking to take Mama’s place in your lives. She will be able to help you with ... more female issues, than I have been able to but it is my hope that you become friends.”

 

“But what if we don’t,” Daphne pressed, “What happens if she is horrid?”

 

“She won’t be,” Colin said suddenly, “Daph, can you imagine Anthony with someone horrid?”

 

Daphne frowned but then shook her head, “Is she truly very nice?” she asked softly.

 

“She is,” Anthony assured them both, “I know you both don’t like to be treated like you are still in leading strings but I will make you the same promise I made the babies, I promise that I will still be around for you, that I will still be here for you and that I will not be leaving you. No one is being replaced and no one is stealing anyone or anything from anyone else.” 

 

Daphne burst into tears and rushed around the desk to Anthony, “I know things will change regardless and those changes won’t necessarily be bad ones,” she said between her sobs, “But I just miss them both so much.”

 

Anthony brought her into his arms, “I know,” he replied, “I do too,” he reached out his arm and Colin stepped into the embrace.

 

“Love you Ant,” Daphne said softly, pressing a kiss to his cheek, “Congratulations on your marriage brother.”

 

Anthony kissed Daphne’s forehead softly, “Miss Sheffield will be here tomorrow for dinner to meet you,” he replied, “Now, go on up. I’ll be here all evening so if you need me, come back down.”

 

Colin stepped away at the same time as Daphne but let his sister leave the room before turning to Anthony, “I trust you, and I know that you need to do this and you need a wife” he said quietly, “But if this goes wrong and the girls are damaged by this, I will blame you forever.” Colin nodded and left the room, leaving Anthony to his thoughts.


Benedict was the next visitor, he appeared at the study door with a grin and a bottle of brandy, “Thought you might need a drink,” he grinned, “Are they all alright?”

 

“I think so,” Anthony sighed as he accepted a glass, “Remind me to check what the hell Daphne has been reading, she had some fantastical ideas of what would happen now I am getting married.”

 

“They’ve talked of nothing else all season,” Benedict stated, “They have been worried that your new wife would banish them to some outlying estate and make you forget about them.”

 

“And you?” Anthony asked, “Are you concerned?”

 

“Not in the slightest,” Benedict grinned, “I have my own money, I can easily get lodgings in town and I can make my own career if necessary. I’m not in the same position as the children,” Benedict paused, taking a drink, “And I understand that you need to do this, I can see what the last few years have done to you and I know that you need someone to help take some of your load.”

 

Anthony nodded, “I think El and Frannie will be the worst,” he said, thinking about their reactions, “Colin and Daphne seem willing to give it a chance at least.”

 

“They are,” Benedict replied, “Daphne was concerned that she would have to leave for some neglected cottage but understands why you need a wife, that it is right for you to be looking for a wife at least,” he paused, “I suppose now you have reassured her she will be better about things. What about the babies?”

 

“They seem fine,” Anthony replied, “But I’m not sure if they understand fully.”

 

“So we just need to make sure El and Frannie don’t say anything to make them worried about everything,” Benedict concluded, “Are you bringing her to meet them all before the wedding?”

 

“She is coming for dinner tomorrow with her mother,” Anthony replied, “And then we thought we would have a picnic in the park, she has a sister who is Eloise’s age and we thought it would be nice for them all to meet.”


Kate took a deep breath as she walked up the steps to Bridgerton House with Mary; she knew it was silly but she was a little scared about meeting Anthony’s younger siblings and what that meeting could do for her and Anthony’s marriage.

 

“It will all be fine,” Mary reassured her, squeezing her hand lightly, “Oh Kate, I’m so proud of you. A Viscountess! He seems like a fine man too; he will look after you, that is clear.”

 

Kate smiled, “I know,” she replied, just as the door opened and Anthony stood there with a big smile on his face.

 

Soon the two Sheffield women were swept into the loving chaos of Bridgerton House. Benedict was sat on one of the sofas in the drawing room with Eloise and Francesca piled on top of him, reading to him from their books. Colin was on the opposite sofa with Daphne, both entertaining the youngest siblings who were excited to be in the room so late in the day. 

 

Benedict was the first to notice the new arrivals and pushed Eloise and Francesca off his lap and stood to greet the women, his action getting the attention of the other children. 

 

“Which one is she?” Eloise half-whispered to Daphne, “I don’t think any of them will be like Mama.”

 

“Shh,” Colin hissed. 

 

Anthony turned to Kate and smiled, mouthing an apology before he turned to the siblings, “This is Miss Katherine Sheffield,” he introduced, “The lady who has agreed to be my wife.”

 

“You’re so pretty,” Daphne smiled, “I love your dress.”

 

“No Daphne,” Eloise cried, “We’re not going to like her, remember!” 

 

“Eloise!” Benedict snapped, “We spoke about this!”

 

“Thank you,” Kate smiled at Daphne as Eloise and Benedict conducted a whispered conversation in the back of the room, “I like your dress too; that colour is very nice on you.”

 

Daphne smiled and preened slightly under the attention, something Kate noticed and quickly drew the girl into a conversation about fabrics and colours. “I never get to speak about things like this with Anthony,” Daphne said softly, “Boys just simply don’t understand!”

 

Kate smiled, “I know,” she agreed, “Maybe, we could go to the modiste together?”

 

Daphne smiled brighter and Kate realised that the eldest Bridgerton girl had been left to flounder slightly without their mother and therefore, may be the easiest of the girls to win over. Suddenly a small hand hit her skirts, “Hi!” Hyacinth chirped from her side.

 

“Hello,” Kate smiled, reaching down for the small girl, “You must be Miss Hyacinth. I’ve been looking forward to meeting you.”

 

Hyacinth grinned and started to play with the bracelet Kate wore on her wrist, “What about me!” Gregory demanded as he moved over to the group, “Did  you want to meet me too?”

 

“Greg!” Anthony sighed, “Manners!”

 

Kate laughed, “I did indeed,” she agreed, “It is very nice to meet you. And you,” she smiled at Francesca who had slipped into the seat next to Daphne without a word.

 

Francesca smiled and leaned back into Anthony who moved her slightly so that he could join the group, “I’m sorry about Eloise,” he said softly, “I’ll talk to her again. How was your music lesson today Frannie?”

 

“Quite well,” Francesca smiled, her whole face lighting up, “I learned a whole new piece.”

 

Anthony smiled down at her, “You’ll have to play it for me tomorrow,” he said, tugging on her curls softly, “Now go on up, and take the babies with you. I’ll be up in a little while.”

 

Francesca smiled and kissed Anthony’s cheek before holding her hands out for Hyacinth and Gregory; leading them out of the room.

 

“So,” Anthony smiled after they had finished dinner, “Have they scared you off?”

 

“Not at all,” Kate smiled in reply, “They are all delightful.”

 

Anthony snorted in laughter, “No they aren’t,” he grinned, “But thank you for lying about it. Shall we try for a picnic tomorrow? Maybe you could bring your sister, then the children could all get to know each other?”

 

“I would like that,” Kate smiled, “I will see you tomorrow.”

 

Chapter 2: Prologue - Part Two

Notes:

Thank you so much to everyone who has read, left kudos or a comment on this story, I’m honestly blown away by your lovely words <3. One question that has been asked a few times in the comments is why I went with Kate Sheffield (as per the books) and not Sharma (as per the show). The simple answer is for logistics; in the book Kate’s father is the second son of a Baron from Somerset and so, it would make more sense for her to be in London for the season in 1807 rather than six years later as she was in the show. Also, back in 1807 the journey from India would have required going around the Cape of Good Hope and back up along the coast of West Africa and would have taken months! A carriage ride from Somerset would have taken a few days at most and so explains why Kate has been sent to London on her own.

In my head, Kate still looks like Simone Ashley (because she is stunning! And I can’t imagine anyone else as Kate) and I’m honestly not bothered if you want to keep referring to her as Sharma when you read this but I hope this helps explain what was going on in my head when I wrote her as Sheffield. I have tried to reply to most comments about this but I know I will have missed some.

I have a 60+ page Google Doc with snippets of this fic up to 1820 and Francesca’s story but it is all over the place and needs putting together with bits of filler to make it into an actual story rather than my word vomit trying to get ideas out of my head. I have an initial sketch of chapters taking us up to then but this prologue was not meant to be this long so I honestly have no idea how the rest of this will go!

So, this is the second part of the prologue and there are a few time skips to get us up to 1811; the main story will start in the next chapter with 1813 and Daphne and Simon’s story.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

1807

 

Kate smiled to herself as she woke the morning following her wedding, she was now Lady Katherine Bridgerton, Viscountess Bridgerton. She shook her head slightly to clear the giddy thoughts that gathered whenever she heard her new title. She had arrived in London earlier that season somewhat under protest, her father had died a year previously and she knew from the panicked conversations she had overheard between her step-mother and the family’s solicitor that the family funds were scarce. Kate had tried to protest that she didn’t need a London season, she would be perfectly happy continuing to attend the same balls she had been attending in Somerset for the last few years and would find a perfectly respectable husband there but Mary Sheffield had other ideas. 

 

Kate did not really see the point in her doing the London season, she was the eldest daughter of the second son of a Baron with next to no dowry to speak of and really, what kind of man would marry the secondary branch of a family when the main line had the money? She hadn’t counted on Lady Danbury and Lord Bridgerton. 

 

The formidable Lady had welcomed Kate into her home and set about teaching the girl all she needed to know about that season’s most eligible bachelors; one name Lady Danbury seemed to stress above all others was that of Viscount Bridgerton. Lady Danbury had stressed the long friendship between herself and the late Viscountess and the current Viscount’s long friendship with Lady Danbury’s godson who was currently off exploring the world and Kate was intrigued by her stories of the man. She was even more intrigued when she met him and realised just how handsome he really was. 

 

She had spent the first few weeks of their courtship interrogating the staff at Danbury House for any gossip they could share about the Viscount, any tales of rakish behaviour or bad debts but the staff had nothing to say. It seemed that Anthony Bridgerton had gone from carousing around Oxford with a group of friends from Eton to sitting in Parliament with the same men’s fathers within the space of several months and no one around London had heard anything regarding any gambling debts, mistresses on the side or a longing for strong drink in the years since. 

 

Kate frowned and looked over at her husband who was still sleeping peacefully. She didn’t love this man, not yet, but she could see how she could come to do so. She was shaken from her musings when Anthony stirred, “What are you thinking about Wife?” he asked with a lazy smile.

 

“Nothing really,” Kate replied, “Just how much things have changed in the last few weeks. I still can’t quite believe all of this.”

 

“Good changes though?” Anthony asked as he leaned over her slightly and kissed her softly, “And we better start getting dressed, Gregory has a habit of coming in first thing in the morning.”

 

Kate chuckled, “Very good changes,” she smiled as she stood and rang for her maid, “When do we leave for Kent?”

 

“After breakfast,” Anthony replied as he moved towards his dressing room, “I thought we could have breakfast with them all before we set off and then we have a week at Aubrey Hall just to ourselves before they descend.”

 

Kate smiled, “A week alone,” she sighed, “That sounds perfect.”

 


During the following week at Aubrey Hall, the newly-weds took the time to really get to know each other. Anthony learned of Kate’s absolute terror of thunderstorms during one night when thunder crashed around them and she clung to him in their bed, shaking and crying and Kate learned of Anthony’s mortal terror of bees following an ... incident ... in the flower garden when he attempted to remove the venom from a sting on her chest. 

 

“It is a good job we are already married,” she laughed when his panic had subsided, “Otherwise we would be in front of the Archbishop with a special licence!” 

 

Anthony had laughed and taken her hand before walking them both to the memorial for his parents and talking to her softly about his father and the ways in which the late Viscount had shaped the man she had married.

 

“What about your mother?” Kate asked softly as they made their way back to the house, “You rarely speak of her and, well, if she is the Viscountess that people remember I think I would like to know more about her; if only so I can live up to her standard.”

 

Anthony paused before answering, “I find it difficult to speak of my mother,” he replied, “The mother she was before my father died and the mother she was afterwards are two very different people and I find it hard to separate the two.”

 

Kate said nothing and simply squeezed his hand a little tighter in reassurance, “Before my father died,” Anthony continued, “She was the best mother I could imagine; despite having so many of us she always made time for us individually, she was always interested in what we had to say. That woman died with my father.”

 

“I don’t know if you have realised,” Anthony said, “But Hyacinth was born after our father died; it was a very difficult birth and we nearly lost our mother then. She never recovered.”

 

“Benedict said it was a fever that took her,” Kate said softly, “Was it childbed fever?”

 

Anthony shook his head, “It was lung fever that caught her in the end,” he replied, “But for the last two years of her life she was either in bed with a fever or melancholy or she was raging at me over something I wasn’t doing or as was more often the case, something I was doing.”

 

“What do you mean?” Kate asked, as the couple stopped at the folly in the middle of the lawn.

 

“She was most angry when I had to do things for the younger children that our father would have done,” Anthony said eventually, “She would scream at me when she found out that I had taken Eloise and Francesca out on their ponies as that was not my job, it was the job of a father. When she found out that I would sit with Greg and read the newspaper, like our father had done with the rest of us, she was so angry. There were times I honestly thought that she would seriously hurt the children if she was left with them. That woman is still so present when I think of my mother that I struggle to speak of the good times.”

 

Kate sat and thought about all Anthony had shared, it explained so much about how he interacted with the youngest children; his insistence that they refer to him as their brother despite the clear indications that he was a father figure to the youngest siblings and his reluctance to speak about the late Viscountess, even with his siblings.

 

“I hope to be as she was before then,” Kate said softly, “I think I would have succeeded if our children remember me as the best mother they could have wished for.”

 

Anthony smiled softly at her, “If you truly want to know more,” he said taking her hand gently, “Then Benedict will be able to provide you with any number of stories; he will be more than happy to tell you tales of our errant youth.”

 

Kate laughed, “I can imagine you both,” she grinned, “Charging around these grounds with some poor nursemaid trailing behind you!” 

 

Anthony laughed, “I’ll show you how we used to escape from our tutors later,” he replied, “If only so you can remind me to block them up so Gregory doesn’t do the same!”

 


 

After a wonderful week of alone time, the rest of the Bridgerton family descended on Aubrey Hall all determined to have their own time with Anthony, sometimes with and other times without Kate. Over the next few weeks, the family fell into a kind of pattern and rhythm in their interactions with each other but the tensions bubbled underneath the surface and Kate spent half the time waiting for the other shoe to drop. 

 

Benedict was the simplest to deal with, the man was happy that his brother had found a wife and tended to spend time with Anthony after dinner, discussing their siblings and other business over brandy and cigars before coming through to the drawing room to chat with Anthony and Kate together before retiring to bed. Kate could see herself getting along with her oldest brother-in-law, especially as he was also somewhat of an artist and seemed quite happy to spend time with Kate as she worked on her watercolours in the gardens. 

 

Colin seemed to be somewhat of an enigma to Kate, on the one hand the teenager seemed happy to spend time with her and treated her with the same detached politeness he treated family friends and guests but on occasion, he would treat her as a favoured sister and sit and talk to her about his desire to travel when his studies were completed. Anthony did not seem concerned with Colin’s behaviour and so Kate decided to continue as she had been with the third Bridgerton and see how things turned out. 

 

Her instincts regarding Daphne were correct, the eldest Bridgerton girl soon latched onto Kate as though the girls had been friends forever. Daphne was happy to spend hours at Kate’s side as the woman planned dinners and parties and got to work re-decorating parts of both Aubrey Hall and Bridgerton House, chattering away about the latest fashions at the modiste and gossip she had heard from the servants. It soon became a common sight to see the Viscountess and the eldest Miss Bridgerton walking around the property together chatting and giggling away. It shocked Kate therefore, when Daphne sided with Eloise during one particular seismic fight. 

 

The day had started fairly normally, Kate was sitting in the parlour reading when Hyacinth skipped into the room. The four year old had taken to spending part of her morning with Kate whilst the woman read to her and Hyacinth would regularly seek out Kate if she did not enter the nursery immediately after breakfast. 

 

Kate smiled and pulled Hyacinth onto the sofa next to her, allowing the small girl to lean into her side. They remained that way, with Kate reading to her for some time before the other girls all slipped into the room, taking their own seats on the various chairs and sofas listening to the story. Kate smiled to herself, this is how she had imagined spending her time when Anthony talked about his siblings; sitting with the girls and providing the female presence they all clearly needed. 

 

She had stopped reading for a second when Hyacinth’s impatient hand landed on the book, “You’ve not finished Mama,” she said, her bottom lip sticking out in a pout.

 

The atmosphere immediately changed in the room, Kate froze unsure how to address Hyacinth’s declaration. “She is not your Mama,” Eloise said firmly, grabbing Hyacinth’s arm and pulling her from Kate’s side, “She will never be our Mama, you are not to say that again!”

 

Hyacinth started to cry as Eloise’s furious face glowered down at her, “Eloise!” Kate snapped, “Stop that at once! You are hurting Hyacinth!”

 

“You can’t tell me what to do!” Eloise shouted, “You are not our Mama! You are nothing to us!”

 

Francesca frowned and nodded along to Eloise’s words, letting the older girl take the lead in this particular argument. Daphne soon stepped in between Eloise and Hyacinth, “It isn’t Hyacinth’s fault,” she said softly, “And you are hurting her El.”

 

“I knew you would take her side,” Eloise spat, tears coming to her eyes, “You don’t care about Mama anymore!”

 

“That’s not true,” Daphne replied, her own eyes shining with tears, “I know Kate isn’t Mama and Hyacinth, you can’t call her that, it is wrong. But El, Hyacinth was scared of you and that’s not right.”

 

Eloise muttered an apology to Hyacinth before the three older sisters all turned to Kate, “You are not our Mama,” Daphne said firmly, “And we will not call you Mama. Hyacinth will be told that she was wrong and you will let us tell her that.”

 

Kate sat frozen, unsure of her place in addressing the situation. Daphne and Eloise started to try and explain to Hyacinth why the small girl was incorrect but a confused and scared Hyacinth continued to cry and the noise soon brought Anthony to the parlour.

 

“What is going on?” he asked as he entered, picking up Hyacinth in an attempt to calm her.

 

“It’s her!” Eloise shouted, pointing at Kate before the other sisters had a chance to say anything, “She is trying to take over! Anthony, you need to stop this and send her back!”

 

“That isn’t how this works Eloise,” Anthony said, taking a seat next to Kate and allowing Hyacinth to crawl onto her lap, “Now, can someone tell me what has happened?”

 

“Mama sad,” Hyacinth said softly, wiping her hands over Kate’s face where tears had fallen. 

 

Anthony deflated and let out a soft ‘Oh’ as he sank onto the sofa cushions, “Girls, go upstairs,” he said softly, “I’ll come up in a minute, just let me talk to Hyacinth, please.”

 

“I’m sorry,” Kate said softly as the three older girls stormed out of the room, “I was just so shocked that she said it, I froze.”

 

“It’s not your fault,” Anthony soothed, “I should have thought of saying something earlier; I’ll talk to them, tell them that they can’t speak to you like that.”

 

Kate nodded and kissed Hyacinth’s hands as the small girl continued to wipe at her tears, “Thank you darling,” she said softly, “Go and sit with Anthony for a minute whilst I call for tea.”

 

Hyacinth moved back across to Anthony and settled against her brother’s chest, toying with his signet ring as she did so, “Hy,” Anthony said softly, “Do you understand why everyone is so upset?”

 

“No,” Hyacinth replied, “I just wanted Mama to keep reading. I don’t think El liked the story.”

 

“Darling,” Anthony said softly, turning Hyacinth to look at her directly, “Kate isn’t your Mama, she is my wife. We spoke about this, do you remember?”

 

“But,” Hyacinth replied, “In my stories a Mama and Papa look after the children and that’s what you do. So, you are Mama and Papa.”

 

“No darling,” Anthony sighed, “Mama and Papa died, I’m not your Papa, not really. You’re our sister, our most darling sister. But you can’t call us Mama and Papa, it makes everyone upset. Do you understand?”

 

“So you are secret Mama and Papa,” Hyacinth concluded, “I have to call you Anthony and Kate because everyone else gets upset; I’ll go tell Greg. Love you!”

 

Anthony blinked as the now cheerful four-year old skipped out of the room. Kate looked at him from her place near the fireplace, “I never asked her to do it,” she said softly, “I never wanted to come in and take anyone’s place.”

 

Anthony stood and moved over to her, “I know,” he said softly, bringing her into his arms, “She doesn’t remember either of them so I suppose it makes sense in her head. I’m sorry they all screamed at you like that, I will speak to them about it. Are you alright?”

 

“Of course,” Kate smiled, “Don’t be too harsh on them, it was a shock to us all.”

 

Anthony nodded and left the room, heading to the nursery to speak with his sisters. Kate never found out what was said that day but it took a few months before the tensions between the female occupants of the house subsided. 

 

It was also a few months later that Anthony and Kate discovered that the two youngest Bridgertons had taken to blending their names into PapaAnt and MamaKate when talking about the two surrogate parents between themselves. 

 

1808

 

Kate screamed as she laboured to bring their first child into the world and Anthony was plunged back to the night five years earlier when his mother made the same screams bringing Hyacinth into the world. Just as the doctors were discussing cutting the baby out, a small weak cry was heard. Kate had been suffering from a summer cold for the last few weeks and both Anthony and the doctors were concerned that the slight fever would cause problems for both mother and child. 

 

Anthony sat with the small girl cradled in his arms as the doctors tended to Kate, their little girl was so small it was a miracle she had survived the birth. In the end their daughter lived for two hours; and spent her whole life in her father’s arms. Kate had slept fitfully, weakened from the labour and did not know that the baby had died. They had not even had a chance to name their daughter; she had not been baptised and so Anthony did not know what was going to happen to the child. 

 

“We could put her in with Mama and Papa,” Ben said softly from the doorway, “She doesn’t need to go into any kind of dismal plot somewhere.”

 

“I can’t think of it now,” Anthony said, his eyes avoiding the baby in her bassinet as he sat with Kate, “Ben ... what if Kate ends up like she did.”

 

“She won’t,” Ben said quietly, “It’s not the same at all.”

 

“When I told her about Mother,” Anthony said quietly, “She said that giving birth can do things to a woman’s mind; that all the things Mother said, back then, that they were probably due to some imbalance that was caused by Hyacinth’s birth.”

 

“Mother was grieving,” Benedict replied, “She wasn’t herself back then ...”

 

“Don’t,” Anthony said sharply, “Don’t continue to stick up for her; not to me. Sing her praises to the children but do not dare do the same to me.”

 

Ben slumped, “Fine,” he huffed, “What do you want me to tell the children?”

 

“Hyacinth’s was a difficult birth,” Anthony continued as though Benedict had not spoken, “Kate suffered through this one; I can’t do it again Ben,” he broke, “I can’t take all that again.”

 

Benedict moved into the room and sat next to Anthony, “You won’t have to,” he promised, “You won’t have to because you won’t keep it all from me this time. There’ll be no hiding away in some hidden corner of the house this time Ant; if Kate ends up like that then I’ll take it too. We’ll take it so the children don’t have to.”

 

Anthony nodded, “Thanks,” he said softly, “And I’ll speak to the vicar about interning the baby with Mother and Papa. Can you ... just can ...”

 

“I'll send word down to the vicar,” Benedict said, “And I’ll keep the children out of the way for now.”

 

Anthony smiled and turned his attention back to his wife. He hadn’t said it to her, but Anthony had fallen in love with his wife and now, the thought of losing her was crippling him, he grasped her hand and pressed a kiss to the back of it, willing her to wake as he did so. 

 

1809

 

“What if this one dies too?” Kate asked softly, almost not daring to say the words aloud, as she and Anthony sat on their bed; both of their hands on her prominent baby bump, “What if I don’t make it through this time?”

 

“Don’t say that,” Anthony said, kissing her softly, “It will all be fine; the doctors are confident.”

 

“But what if it is me?” Kate pleaded, “What if I’m defective, what if I’m barren?!”

 

“You’re not,” Anthony soothed, “The doctors think it was the fever that caused ... that was the reason last time.”

 

“But what happens if it does happen again?” Kate pressed, “What happens if I can’t give you a child? If there is no heir?”

 

“You seem to be forgetting my three brothers,” Anthony said dryly, “We can always marry Benedict off and a nephew can take the title instead. I don’t care Kate,” he said softly, kissing her lightly, “I just want you to be safe; if we have a tribe of girls then we have girls. Stop fretting.”

 

Kate smiled and relaxed back into the pillows, “I do feel a bit better this time around,” she admitted, “And I think being in London is better, the doctors here are a little more experienced I think, don’t you?”

 

“They are,” Anthony smiled, “I’m going to go and do some work in the study but send for me if you need me.”

 

Pressing a kiss to Kate’s cheek, Anthony smiled and made his way back down to his study. As he passed the nursery playroom he decided to check on his youngest siblings and maybe enjoy a game or two with them, his papers could wait for an hour or so. 

 

“Hello,” he smiled as he pushed open the door, “Room for one more?”

 

“PapaAnt!” Gregory cheered as he saw his older brother, “I’m playing soldiers, you can be Wellington and I’ll be Napoleon!”

 

Anthony smiled and sat on the floor with his youngest brother, “What great battle are we fighting today?” he asked as he set up the tin soldiers. Gregory frowned as he tried to remember the latest lessons he had received from his tutors, “Wagram,” he said finally with a triumphant grin, “Oh, Wellington wasn’t at that one was he?”

 

Anthony shook his head, “Do you remember who was?” he asked, watching the young boy’s face screw up in concentration once again. 

 

“Austria!” Gregory cheered, “Oh, but I can’t remember who leads their army. My tutor thinks I’m stupid you know,” Gregory added conversationally, “I can never remember these things.”

 

Anthony frowned, “Your tutor has not said anything of the sort to me,” he said, “It’s Archduke Charles, the leader of the Austrian army. We can read the reports in the newspaper tomorrow if you like, then you can set this up for that.”

 

“We won’t be able to do this soon,” Gregory said softly, moving to lean against Anthony, “When you have your new baby; you won’t be able to come and see me and Hyacinth like you do now.”

 

“Why not?” Anthony asked.

 

“Because you’ll have your own baby,” Gregory pressed, “And, well, me and Hy; we’re only your practice go. When you have your own children you’ll have to spend all your time with them. It’s fine, we’ve talked about it and we have agreed that as long as we still get to see you at least once a week, we’ll be fine.”

 

Anthony frowned, “How long have you both been thinking that?” he asked softly, sitting more comfortably on the floor and pulling Gregory onto his lap, “And why have you been thinking that?”

 

“We first thought about it last year,” Greg admitted, “But now we’ve started thinking about it again and the night nurse said that she’d soon be looking after your real children and not your orphaned siblings. She doesn’t know that we heard her,” Gregory said quickly, “But it’s true; the baby will be your real children, not your pretend ones like me and Hy.”

 

Anthony pulled Gregory into his chest, “Don’t you ever think that again,” he said fiercely, “You will not be being pushed aside for anyone. You are mine and don’t let anyone ever tell you otherwise. And when you and Hyacinth talk about this again, you can tell her the same. Do you understand me Greg?”

 

Gregory nodded and threw his arms around Anthony, hugging him tightly, “My PapaAnt,” he said, “I love you.”

 

Anthony dropped a kiss to the top of the boy’s head, “Love you too Greg,” he said softly.

 


 

“So, I heard you shouted at the servants today brother,” Benedict teased as the two brothers sat having a drink after dinner, “Did someone not buff your boots correctly?”

 

“I fired one of the night nurses,” Anthony replied sharply, “For speaking out of turn.”

 

Benedict frowned, “What do you mean?” he asked

 

“I popped into the nursery this afternoon,” Anthony replied, “And Greg told me that he had overheard one of the nurses saying that she wouldn’t have to bother looking after them both when Kate gives birth and they have both been worried about it.”

 

“What!” Benedict gasped, “Why would the nurse even think that you would allow it?”

 

Anthony shrugged, “I can only assume that they believed I wouldn’t know,” he replied, “That I would put any differences between the two of them and the baby would be due to Greg and Hy acting up and not think anything of it. I don’t want to know how long they have been gossiping about this where the children could hear.”

 

“Now I want to go down and shout at them,” Benedict grumbled, “Are the children alright?”

 

“I think so,” Anthony sighed, “Kate and I have spent time with them today and told them nothing will change but, can you keep an eye on them too? Things will change when the baby is born,” Anthony confessed, “The nurses will spend more time with the baby, it is only natural, but I hope it would be more how we were all treated with the next new arrival.”

 

“But if the baby is a boy, it will be treated differently,” Benedict frowned, “You were always treated differently to me and Colin; that would be difficult to explain to Greg.”

 

“We can have that conversation later, I just need them to know they won’t be abandoned.” Anthony stressed.

 

“OK,” Benedict agreed, “I’ll keep an eye on them. Don’t beat yourself up about this though; the staff gossip you know that and we can’t shield them from everything.”

 

“They would have done though,” Anthony muttered, “They would have shielded them.”

 

“No, they wouldn’t,” Benedict replied sharply, “It is not possible to do so; you need to stop comparing yourself to them. Ignore everything she said; she was wrong Ant. You know it and I know it.”

 

Edmund Anthony Bridgerton was born on 17 September 1809 to much celebration in Bridgerton House, he was installed in the nursery and had two devoted attendants in his youngest Uncle and Aunt. He was followed in 1811 by Miss Charlotte Mary Bridgerton and she soon became the most beloved member of the large and slightly chaotic family.

Notes:

I know a lot of people have asked about the tension between Anthony and Kate that is shown in the books and the show and how I plan on working that into the story. To me, a lot of the tension between the two comes from the fact that Anthony was seen as a Rake and Kate did not think he was good enough for her little sister (and she fancied him!) By removing Edwina from the equation, I couldn’t see how they would have as much tension as they did in canon. Also, I made the decision to make Anthony less of a Rake here just purely because when would he have found the time! In canon, Violet kept up a lot of the social obligations on behalf of the family and this helped Anthony have more time to rake his way around London whereas in my head Anthony has to do all of the social obligations etc. and he is trying to keep everything going to make sure his family has the best standing in society possible so, sorry, Siena is not going to be making an appearance to ruin things here.

Anthony and Kate are two very practical people who are entering what is essentially a marriage of convenience for the sake of both of their families; as I’ve hinted here a lot of the tension comes from Kate settling into what is in reality a mothering role for the younger siblings. I’ve not rehashed every fight they have in these first two chapters as, with all families, the same arguments will keep cropping up as time goes on and I have plans for them later down the line so it seems redundant to set out everything in time order. The later chapters will have some flashbacks to help with context, I just wanted to use these first two chapters to set the scene and relationships for the rest of the story.

I’m not sure how much people will have liked my descriptions of Violet here but please remember this is from Anthony’s point of view looking back in the immediate aftermath of grief. From his point of view, his mother was the best mother one minute and then everything changed and she became someone else. In my head (and I have no direct experience with this so please, forgive any mistakes I have made) Violet suffers from Postpartum Depression after the birth of Hyacinth and really struggles to see Anthony essentially stepping into her husband’s shoes and taking charge of things she thinks he shouldn’t have had to deal with. But, with this being the Regency era, this isn’t fully understood and to Anthony (who is an 18 year old thrust into his father’s shoes with no warning and clearly struggles with it) his mother changed irrevocably and this really damages how he thinks of her and their relationship before she died.

Chapter 3: Chapter One - 1813 : Part One

Notes:

Thank you again so much for all your comments, kudos and for taking the time to read this <3

The next few chapters will be covering 1813 and Daphne and Simon’s story but I’ll be weaving a few other threads in there for the next few years too.

Just in terms of updates etc. I have fully taken advantage of the four day weekend we have just had in the UK and spent (probably a bit too much) time on this story. Like I have said, I do have a lot of ideas for the story but I do need to work on getting them all into some kind of order. I am hoping to have the rest of 1813 boxed off in my drafts this week so I can start working on the next few years after that but I think I will only be releasing a chapter once a week from here on out just so I have the time to actually write them!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

1813

 

It had started as a rumour, a low murmuring amongst the men in Whites and a high tittering giggle amongst the Mama’s of Mayfair’s ballrooms but Anthony refused to listen and believe it until now.

 

“You must have heard Lord Bridgerton,” Lady Danbury greeted, tapping her cane on the floor as Anthony stopped following Daphne with his eyes, “I think everyone in town has asked me to confirm, everyone that is, apart from you.”

 

“Ah Lady Danbury,” Anthony smiled, “If I believed that particular rumour everytime I heard it, I would still be waiting to wed. I take it that this time it is actually true?”

 

“As true as I am standing here,” she grinned, “I’m expecting him at my table for breakfast tomorrow, the old bastard was finally put in the ground last week.”

 

Anthony smiled, his first true smile in many years, “Send him my way for lunch will you?” he asked, “He has a godson to meet.”

 


 

Simon Bassett, Duke of Hastings, stepped out of his carriage outside his best and oldest friend’s house; it had been nearly ten years since he had last seen his friend and had missed a wedding and the birth of at least one child in those years. He frowned as he took sight of the small line of gentlemen with courting gifts on the steps, surely he hadn’t been gone so long that one of the children was now old enough to do the season?

 

Ignoring the shouts, Simon bounded up the steps and presented his card to the butler, “I’m here to see Lord Bridgerton,” he announced, loud enough for the line of suitors to hear, “I believe I am expected.”

 

“You’ve been expected for the last eight years, Bassett,” Anthony laughed from the door of his study, “Or sorry, is it Hastings now?”

 

“You can keep to Bassett,” Simon replied, before grinning as the two old friends embraced, “How are things?”

 

Anthony frowned, “What is all this Humboldt?” he asked, gesturing to the suitors.

 

“For Miss Daphne,” Humboldt replied quietly, “Lady Bridgerton has not indicated that they are ready to receive callers, my Lord.”

 

“Oh for heaven’s sake,” Anthony sighed, “Give me a minute will you Bassett?”

 

A few minutes later, the line of suitors were being entertained by Kate and Daphne and Simon and Anthony were in his study. 

 

“Little Daphne is old enough to court?” Simon said, the shock clear on his face, “When did that happen?”

 

“Two years ago,” Anthony sighed, “Eloise is out next year and Frannie the one after that.”

 

“Bloody hell,” Simon huffed, “And Daphne’s had no offers?”

 

“Oh she’s had plenty,” Anthony replied, “None of which I deemed acceptable. It seems that every man who has asked wants her dowry to cover off gambling debts; I’m not sending my sister to live in some kind of genteel poverty with a man who can’t control his habits.”

 

“You surely  can’t want to keep her at home forever though,” Simon commented, “And every man has his vices, you know that.”

 

“I have a wife who is more than happy to keep up with some of those habits,” Anthony replied with a grin, “Who you actually need to meet, by the way.”

 

“And I understand I have a godson to spoil too,” Simon retorted, “A very poorly disguised ploy of you and Aunt Agatha to get me home.”

 

“Had to try,” Anthony laughed, “Your steward was a fine stand-in by the way, didn’t drop my son or anything.”

 

“Has it really been eight years?” Simon sighed, looking around the room, noting the changes that had been made, “How have things been?”

 

“It definitely has been eight years,” Anthony replied with an eye roll, “And things have been difficult; I’m raising eight children, it wasn’t going to be easy.”

 

Simon simply nodded and the two old friends sank into their chairs, enjoying the brandy Anthony had provided.

 

“You seem a lot more comfortable with it,” Simon commented suddenly, “Than you did when I left. You’ve grown into it.”

 

“Doesn’t feel like it,” Anthony grumbled, “But I suppose I must have done. Come on, I’ll introduce you to Kate; the children will be in the nursery but they’ll be down at some point.”

 


 

“Anthony!” Hyacinth cheered as he entered the parlour, making a run for her brother who caught her with the ease of someone with years of practice, “I’ve finally completed my sums, can we please go for an ice now?”

 

“Not yet,” Anthony replied, “We have a guest.”

 

“Those silly men who have come to see Daph?” Hyacinth asked, dismissal clear in her tone, “One of them played marbles with Greg.”

 

As the young girl continued to list the faults of the men who had paid Daphne calls that day, Simon stood choking on his laughter until Hyacinth noticed him, “Oh,” she said, mid-word, “Who are you?”

 

“Hyacinth!” Kate snapped, “Manners!”

 

Hyacinth had the grace to blush as Simon smiled easily, “Hello Miss Hyacinth,” he greeted, “I’m Simon, I’ve not seen you since you were in the cradle.”

 

“Did you know us then?” Gregory exclaimed, “Did you know Anthony too?”

 

“Your brother is my best and oldest friend,” Simon replied honestly, “But I’ve been away for a very long time.”

 

Anthony moved over to Kate, “Yes he is who you think,” he whispered in her ear, before gesturing for Simon to come over, “Bassett, can I introduce you to my lovely Lady wife, Katherine.”

 

“Lady Bridgerton,” Simon smiled, taking her hand and kissing her knuckles, “A pleasure. And please accept my apologies for missing the wedding.”

 

“Your Grace,” Kate curtsied slightly, “All is forgiven, it is nice to finally meet you.”

 

“And I’m sure you remember the rest of them,” Anthony commented, “Eloise is  the one with her nose in a book, Francesca is on the pianoforte and this is Daphne. Ben and Colin are out somewhere but I’m sure they’ll be back soon.”

 

Eloise waved absently whilst Francesca and Daphne made small curtseys. Kate slipped out of the room to retrieve their own children from the nursery.

 

“Did someone really start playing marbles with Greg?” Anthony asked as he inspected the cards left by Daphne’s suitors that morning, “And I thought I sent this one packing last season.” He threw the card into the fire in disgust.

 

“Yes,” Daphne smiled slightly, “Mr Finch, I think it was. He didn’t have much to say and then next thing he was on the floor with Greg.”

 

Simon, who had been trying to control his laughter up to that point burst into peals of laughter, “Oh that is priceless!” he stated, “Did he mistake Greg for the Viscount?” 

 

“I do not know Your Grace,” Daphne replied, before giving into her own giggles, “I didn’t know where to look or what to say! Kate got rid of him, thankfully.”

 

“It’s Simon,” Simon replied with an eye-roll, “You called me Simon when I used to visit as a boy so I think you can call me Simon now.”

 

Daphne smiled and blushed, Anthony rolled his eyes and shook his head before catching Simon’s eye with a warning glare.

 

“Papa! Papa!” Any tension was saved by four year old Edmund running into the room and straight for Anthony. 

 

Anthony swung his son on to his hip, “I want you to meet your godfather,” he turned so that the young boy could see Simon, “He has been away for a long time but he’s come to meet you today.”

 

Edmund frowned and looked at Simon, “He's been away?” he asked, with a frown, “Why?”

 

“To see the world,” Simon replied, standing to greet the small boy, “I have got some gifts for you.”

 

Edmund’s eyes grew large, in the only way a small child’s can when promised gifts, “I don’t have them with me today,” Simon continued, “But maybe I could come again tomorrow?”

 

Edmund grinned and nodded before wriggling back down to the floor and scampering off again towards his mother and sister.

 

Simon looked at his old friend and chuckled before taking his leave with promises to visit again. 

 


 

“Anthony’s friend is very handsome,” Daphne commented as she and Kate prepared for that evening’s ball, “Did you think so?”

 

“I didn’t notice,” Kate replied, “But I understand a lot of women do think that, yes.”

 

“I bet he is very interesting to talk to,” Daphne continued, “Do you think he will be at Lady Danbury’s ball tonight?”

 

“I think he will be,” Kate replied, “She is his godmother after all. Why do you ask?”

 

“He just seems to be the most interesting man I have met in a while,” Daphne replied, “After the marble incident, it would be nice to speak with a man who knows the world.”

 

Kate simply nodded, she could see this going very badly. Anthony was fiercely protective of his siblings, particularly his sisters, and she was well aware of the reputation the new Duke of Hastings had left behind in London before he embarked on his tour of the world and she could only imagine how that same reputation was probably now in every country he had visited. Anthony might like Simon, consider the other man one of his closest friends who had been witness to the lowest times of Anthony’s life but Anthony would not trust a rake such as Simon Bassett anywhere near his sister. 

 

Kate looked at Daphne and thought about the relationship she had with the young woman, it hadn’t been as simple as her relationship with the younger children or even with her older brothers, Colin and especially Benedict had easily welcomed her to the family; happy that Anthony finally had someone to lean on, someone to help raise the rest of the children. 

 

Gregory and Hyacinth had simply accepted her and loved her equally as fiercely as they loved Anthony, they were after all the only parents the two youngest Bridgertons could remember but the three middle girls, they had all been so determined to cling to the memory of their mother and so against Kate taking her place that they had actively fought her about everything. It was a hard six months of tears, tantrums and fights before they settled into an easy rhythm of friendship.

 

“Anthony will be furious,” Kate commented casually, “You do realise that he has known the Duke of Hastings from school?”

 

“I know,” Daphne replied with a smile, “But if we get along, I don’t think he would have too many objections, do you?”

 

“I think you should see if His Grace speaks with you tonight,” Kate warned, “And how well you actually get along. If you are serious, and he returns the sentiment, then I will speak with Anthony and try to calm him.”

 

“Thank you Kate!” Daphne gushed, giving her sister-in-law a rare hug, “Thank you!”

 


 

Anthony frowned as he watched Simon leading Daphne around the dance floor in a waltz, “Remind me again why you insisted she have permission to waltz?” he asked Kate as she also watched the couple

 

“Because you do actually want her to be married,” Kate reminded him, “You do actually want her settled and happy. And can I remind you that you clearly trust him enough to be the godfather to our son so surely you can trust him to dance with your sister?”

 

Anthony frowned, “You are forgetting that I know exactly what he will be thinking whilst he is dancing with her,” he replied quietly, “And that is not something I want him thinking about my sister.”

 

Kate rolled her eyes, “I’m sure it is something similar to what you thought the first time we danced in this ballroom,” she replied, “I am not naive enough to believe that your first thought was of love and marriage.”

 

“Well actually ...” Anthony hedged

 

“Marriage I will grant you,” Kate replied quickly, “That was clearly what you wanted, no, what you needed, but when we first danced and talked, I was just another debutante with a nice dress and an ability to dance a quadrille; I was as faceless to you then as the rest of the room. And don’t deny it.”

 

Anthony smiled and kissed Kate’s hand softly, “But that soon changed,” he smiled.

 

“And it could happen for Daphne,” Kate pressed, “She is intrigued by him at the moment, let them talk at least before you go over.”

 

“Fine,” Anthony sighed, “Benedict is on his way over anyway.”

 

Kate rolled her eyes, “I’m at my wits end with the pair of you,” she said, indulgently, “I’m going to go and pay our respects to the hostess, please try and not kill your oldest friend in the middle of Lady Danbury’s ballroom. And, if you see Colin send him my way.”

 


 

“Hastings!” Benedict greeted Simon with a grin, “The long lost traveller returns! Does Anthony know you are back?”

 

“I had luncheon with him this morning,” Simon replied with his own grin

 

“Daph,” Benedict said, suddenly noticing his sister, “What are you doing here?”

 

“It’s a ball Ben,” Daphne replied, as though he was a particularly slow child, “His Grace and I have just danced, we are now getting refreshments and then he is escorting me back to Kate. What else would I be doing here?”

 

Benedict frowned, “And Anthony knows?” he clarified, “Or is he not here?”

 

“No, I’m here,” Anthony replied, from behind Benedict, “Where have you been and where is Colin?”

 

“I’ve been around,” Benedict hedged, “And Colin is ... actually, you know I’m not entirely sure. I can tell you that he is in London though.”

 

“Helpful,” Anthony replied with an eyeroll, “Come on Daph, I’ll dance the next with you.”

 

Daphne smiled at Simon before placing her hand in Anthony’s and let him lead her to the dance floor.

 

“He seems calmer,” Simon commented as he and Benedict stood together, watching the proceedings, “More settled with all of it.”

 

Benedict took a drink, “He is, I think,” he replied after a few seconds, “Kate helped; she helped a lot. The youngest two, I don’t think they remember anything other than Anthony and Kate so it was easy for them. The girls, well, everything is settled now; unless one of them gets in a temper about something.”

 

“So, where is Colin?” Simon asked with a grin, “And does it have something to do with your disappearance all day?”

 

Benedict laughed, “Colin is at home sleeping things off,” he replied, “We’ve been in Whites most of the day and then took a trip out to the boxing. He’s a little worse for wear so I thought it best he went home instead of coming here. Anthony will not be happy though, so I’m hoping he can only find out in the morning.”

 

“Secret is safe with me,” Simon promised, “But  you might want to take a couple of glasses of lemonade before you have any more otherwise you’ll give the game away.” Benedict laughed but picked up a glass of lemonade nonetheless. 

 

“Are you planning on avoiding me all evening?” Lady Danbury asked with a tap of her cane as she reached the pair.

 

“Aunt Agatha,” Simon smiled, placing a kiss on the older lady’s cheek, “Of course not, but I have been catching up with old friends.”

 

“And making new ones from what I could see,” Agatha commented, “Mr Bridgerton, this is your sister’s second season is it not?”

 

“It is,” Benedict replied

 

“Hmmm,” Lady Danbury sighed, “Nice girl, I’m surprised she’s not been wed already.”

 

“That is a conversation you need to have with my brother,” Benedict replied, “Nothing to do with me.”

 

“Hmmm” Lady Danbury sighed again, “Interesting.”

 

“Don’t think I don’t know what you are doing,” Simon stated, “And it won’t work, I’ll sort myself in my own time.”

 


 

“How was the dance with Hastings?” Anthony asked as he and Daphne danced, “Was he respectful?”

 

“Of course he was!” Daphne replied, slightly scandalised, “And it was nice, we talked about his travels a little. And he asked about my interests, what I have been reading and the like.”

 

“And did you like him?” Anthony asked

 

“I think I did,” Daphne replied with a smile, “Did you know he has been to the Americas?”

 

“I did,” Anthony replied with a small, sad smile, “I expect he has been to most corners of the globe.”

 

“Brother?” Daphne asked, “Are you not happy that I find him interesting?”

 

“Ah,” Anthony sighed, “It’s not that, did I ever tell you I had plans to travel a little after I had finished Eton?”

 

Daphne smiled sadly, “You didn’t,” she replied, knowing the reason as to why Anthony had not left the country with his friend. 

 

Anthony smiled and as the dance finished, led Daphne back to Kate before taking his leave from the ball.

 


 

The following morning Simon sat in his Aunt’s parlour, reading the newspaper, “Are you staying here?” she asked as she sat opposite him, “Or are you actually going to open your own house?”

 

“Are you genuinely curious or are you telling me to move out?” Simon replied, not moving the paper from his face.

 

“Simon,” Agatha sighed, “You know I will never ask you to leave my house but you do have responsibilities now. A house to run, staff to employ; it is your house now, your title, not his, not ever again.”

 

“I know,” Simon snapped, closing the paper and running his hand over his eyes, “I hate that house,” he muttered, “I’ve always hated that house. I’ve no problem going and re-opening Clyveden but there’s something about that house. Can we just leave it for now?”

 

“Of course,” Agatha replied brightly, “Did any young Misses catch your eye last night? Young Miss Bridgerton is a catch, is she not?”

 

Simon groaned, “Do we have to?” he complained, “And to answer your question, no, none of the girls in that ballroom last night caught my eye.”

 

“And Miss Bridgerton?” Agatha pressed, “She would be a fine match you know, and her brother is your closest friend.”

 

“And that is precisely the reason I’m not having this conversation,” Simon replied hotly, “I’m going to be spending a bit of time with them all, so I’ll see how things go. I’ll admit to a passing interest,” he said eventually, “But unless she thinks the same and I’m convinced she’ll be the new Duchess then I’m not acting on it. I can’t risk my friendship with Anthony, the man’s lost enough.”

 

Lady Danbury nodded, “She would make a fine Duchess,” she said softly, “But I will leave you alone for now. Come, let us go on a promenade; I can fill you in on all you have missed these last eight years.”

 

Simon sighed but stood and offered his arm to his aunt as they left Danbury House for their promenade.

 


 

Anthony and Kate walked behind their younger sisters as the four girls chatted and walked with the family’s pet dogs, enjoying the time they had before they too took their places in society.  

 

“We really need to try and get Daphne fixed this year,” Kate commented as they walked, “Otherwise we will have three of them to sort next year.”

 

“I know,” Anthony replied, “But no one suitable has shown any interest and she hasn’t shown any interest in anyone either. I’m not going to force her down the aisle for the first fortune that comes calling.”

 

“I know,” Kate soothed, “She does seem quite interested in the Duke, maybe you could speak with him?”

 

“I’m not sure I would consider Hastings to be suitable,” Anthony grumbled, “And he has always said that he would not marry.”

 

“And I’m sure you said the same when you were carousing around Oxford,” Kate shot back, “He is your oldest friend, in possession of a handsome fortune and will be able to keep Daphne in the finest conditions for the rest of her days. On paper he is more than a perfect match for her, and more to the point she is interested. This is the first man she has shown more than a passing interest in for the last two seasons. Anthony, I know of his reputation and I understand your concerns but, if he wishes to set his cap at her then can we not just see how it goes? I would rather not have to try and get Daphne settled at the same time I am wrestling Eloise into a ball gown.”

 

Anthony snorted a laugh at the image, “We are going to have more than our hands full with Eloise next season,” he agreed, “And Edwina will need to be settled; although I can imagine that being a little easier to contend with.”

 

Kate laughed, “Edwina is looking forward to the season,” she agreed, “I think Eloise would delay if we would let her.”

 

“We can’t,” Anthony replied, “We would have her and Fran to deal with the year after if we allowed her to delay.”

 

“I know,” Kate smiled, “I did wonder if we could allow Eloise to attend a few concerts and such to ease her in. She seems to have built the season into something it is not in her head and maybe if she could see parts it might ease her, and in turn make our lives easier next year.”

 

“Of course,” Anthony agreed, “I think it will help that Miss Featherington is out this year; maybe seeing a friendly face will sooth her nerves.”

 

“Yes,” Kate agreed, “And maybe you can talk to Colin about Miss Featherington, he does seem to be taken with her.”

 

“He wants to take a Grand Tour,” Anthony replied, “I don’t think he will be sticking around at the end of the season, it seems cruel to build the young lady’s hopes like that.”

 

Kate nodded in agreement, “Has he asked you to fund that yet? Or is he still working up the courage?”

 

“I keep over hearing plans he is discussing with Ben,” Anthony replied, “I’m tempted to just leave the banker’s draft on his bed and be done with it.”

 

Kate laughed loudly, “Oh that will break his heart!” she exclaimed.

 


 

A few days later the whole Bridgerton family were having a picnic in Hyde Park, Eloise was complaining about Kate’s efforts to get her and Edwina to the modiste to lower their hems now they were due out and Francesca was complaining that she had to wait a further 12 months to have her own hems lowered. Anthony heard snippets of the conversation, the words ‘not fair’ were being repeated a lot. He sighed and shook his head, it seemed that their struggle with Eloise had already begun.

 

Anthony sat on the blanket, holding the hands of his daughter as the toddler attempted some kind of dance of her own making whilst Hyacinth and Gregory entertained Edmund. Benedict and Colin were stretched out on the blanket behind Anthony, having a whispered conversation about Colin’s tour that Anthony was choosing to ignore. He looked up and saw Daphne sat with Kate and smiled softly, his family, his messy, complicated family all in one place being relatively harmonious; it was something that still surprised him.

 

“Isn’t this the picture of domestic bliss,” Simon laughed as he jumped from his horse, “Can I tempt anyone on a ride?”

 

Daphne straightened slightly and smiled, Anthony sighed, “Come on Daph, I’ll take Ben’s horse and accompany you both.”

 

Daphne smiled brightly and kissed Anthony’s cheek, “Thank you!” she grinned, before moving over to her horse and with the help of a footman, mounted the saddle. 

 

The three had been riding for around ten minutes before Anthony spoke, “I know you told Colin,” he said to Daphne, “About my plans for after Eton.”

 

“Should I not have done so?” Daphne asked softly, “I didn’t realise it was a secret, I assumed Colin would have known at the time.”

 

“It’s never been a secret,” Anthony replied, “But he’s now plotting some elaborate way of asking me to fund his Grand Tour instead of just coming out and asking. It’s getting a little tiring to pretend I don’t know what he is up to.”

 

Simon laughed, “Tell him to come to me for some tips,” he offered, “When you’ve put him out of his misery.”

 

“You will regret that offer,” Anthony replied, “I haven’t heard his plans fully as yet but they have changed a number of times in the last few weeks.”

 

“All good plans do,” Simon said thoughtfully, casting a glance over at Daphne.

 

Anthony rolled his eyes, “Are you staying in London for the rest of the season, your Grace?” Daphne asked with a smile. 

 

“I had not planned on it,” Simon replied, “But I think I could be tempted to do so. Will you be in attendance at Vauxhall this evening?”

 

“I think so,” Daphne replied, “We are  still going to Vauxhall, Anthony?”

 

“We are,” Anthony replied, before looking at Simon, “I’ll take you back to Kate and then the Duke and I can have a conversation.”

 


 

An hour or so later, Anthony and Simon were sitting at one of the tables in Whites sharing a few drinks, “I’m not going to compromise your sister Bridgerton,” Simon said with an eye roll, “There will be no need to call me out on the duelling field.”

 

“She is innocent,” Anthony said quietly, “You are a Duke and you have turned her head; if you are simply being polite because she is my sister then let me know and I can talk to her.”

 

Simon set down his glass and tapped his fingers along the top of it, “I ... am not yet certain,” he said after a while, “I would like the chance to get to know her but if you have objections then I will retire to the country and let Miss Daphne find her match elsewhere.”

 

Anthony frowned and raised his own glass for a refill before answering, “I have no objections,” he said slowly, “But if you are not serious then please do not let anything go on for too long.”

 

Simon nodded and the pair toasted each other before turning the conversation to more lighthearted topics.

 

That evening at Vauxhall, Simon and Daphne shared a dance and the rest of the Ton in attendance noted how attentive the recently returned Duke was to the young debutante; the marriage-minded Mamas of the Ton all cursed their delays in placing their own debutantes in front of the Duke before the Viscount had the chance to introduce his sister to his old friend. 

 

“Our little Daphne a Duchess,” Kate whispered in Anthony’s ear as they stood at the side of the dancefloor watching Daphne laugh at something Simon had said.

 

Anthony rolled his eyes, “Not yet,” he cautioned, “I wouldn’t go putting in an order for her Trousseau at the modiste just  yet. Let’s see how things go. She does look happy though,” he added softly.

 

Kate smiled and let her hand slip into his, giving a small squeeze as she did so. He brought her hand to his lips and placed a soft kiss on her knuckles, “One down,” he smiled, “Far too many to go.”

 

Notes:

I am struggling to balance how men would have acted in Regency England with my need to try and explain their inner thoughts to help with the story, hence a lot of conversations with surrogate mothers and wives to try and get things moving. I have no idea if Simon would have treated Lady Danbury with such openness in reality (I know it isn’t really something that is seen in the show) but I do like the idea of her swooping in and rescuing the poor, neglected Baby Simon and I think he would treat her more as a mother as a result of that. Also, I do picture Simon and Anthony being quite close as friends and because Anthony is a little more settled here, he is more willing to listen to what everyone around him was saying regarding Simon and Daphne’s clear interest in each other.

Chapter 4: Chapter Two - 1813 : Part Two

Notes:

Thank you once again for your lovely comments, kudos and for taking the time to read my story ❤

Something that I have been asked following the last chapter is are Kate and Anthony in love with each other or have they stayed in a marriage of convenience? I can confirm that they are very much in love with each other but, by the time 1813 rolls around they have been married for six years and don’t feel the need to show this in public. They are very aware of their status in society and the role they must play but in private they are true partners and what started as a marriage of convenience has turned into very much a love match. There are some cute little moments in this chapter which I hope show that. (I am absolutely hopeless at writing smut though so any steamy moments will just ‘fade to black’ when they get to a certain point - use your imaginations to see what comes next 😂.)

There will be a bit more of a gap before my next chapter, I’m still sorting out timings and other things to get it to come together but I hope to have it sorted by the end of the week.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“I really do think the Duke will propose soon,” Daphne smiled as she sat with Kate and Edwina one morning, a month into the season, “Do you think so? Lady Whistledown keeps saying that he is on the brink of a proposal.”

 

“He has been very diligent in courting you,” Edwina added, “I only hope I can find such a suitor next season.”

 

“Has he mentioned anything to you?” Kate asked, “I know he hasn’t spoken with Anthony about anything yet. And I’m not sure if an anonymous gossip column is the best source of news for something such as this.”

 

Daphne frowned slightly, “He hasn’t,” she admitted quietly, “I thought he might have mentioned something to Anthony though. What do you think Kate?”

 

“I think that he has been a very diligent suitor,” Kate said softly, “And that I will ask Anthony to speak with him shortly. We need to know for certain what the Duke’s intentions are so that we can ensure other suitors come back if necessary. Don’t fret Daphne,” she smiled, “All is not lost, trust me.”

 

Daphne nodded and turned her attention back to her book, missing the concerned look that crossed Kate’s features. 

 


 

“I need you to speak with the Duke,” Kate said as she let herself into Anthony’s study a few hours later, “If he is not going to propose to Daphne then we need to know, there is still time for her to find another match but not if we leave it much later waiting for the Duke.”

 

“I’ll speak to him,” Anthony promised, “I think he has returned to the country for a week, something about his tenants, but I will speak to him when he returns. Has he truly not said anything to Daphne?”

 

“She says not,” Kate replied, “And is he really in the country? A bouquet of flowers arrived with his card this morning.”

 

Anthony sighed deeply, “I told him to retire to the country if he wasn’t certain and to leave us be for a while,” he admitted, “But I expected him to have made his decision earlier than this and if he is still sending flowers then I don’t understand what he is up to. I will get to the bottom of it though.”

 

“Thank you,” Kate smiled, “I just want to make sure that Daphne is settled and he does seem very serious in some respects, but I would have expected a proposal before now. Oh, by the way has Colin spoken with you yet? He was looking for you earlier.”

 

“Honestly,” Anthony huffed, “Am I that much of an ogre that he thinks I will not sponsor his tour? This is just getting ridiculous now.”

 

“He must think so,” Kate giggled, “Shall I tell him you are here if I see him?”

 

Anthony nodded but reached out his arm for Kate and pulled her onto his lap with a soft smile, “Maybe leave it a little while,” he whispered, pulling her into a kiss, his hand running up her back to toy with the top of her dress, “Let us have a minute or two first.”

 


 

Later that evening, Colin slipped into Anthony’s study, “Can we talk Anth?” he asked, hovering in the doorway.

 

Anthony smiled to himself slightly, “Is this where you ask me to fund your tour?” he asked, “I’ve had the banker’s draft drawn up for weeks. I was getting ready to drop it on your bed if you didn’t come and speak to me soon.”

 

Colin entered the room and flopped into the chair opposite Anthony’s desk, “I don’t know if I want to go anymore,” he said quietly.

 

Anthony frowned and leaned forward to look at his younger brother, “Why not?” he asked softly, “It’s all you’ve spoken of for years. I was always going to fund it Colin, I just wanted you to finish Oxford before I did so.”

 

“I know,” Colin replied, giving Anthony a small smile, “Ben said as much it’s just ... I think I ...” Colin frowned and moved over to the decanter of brandy Anthony kept in his office pouring himself a glass, “I like Pen, Penelope Featherington, and I don’t know if I should go on my tour or make myself known to her.”

 

“Ah,” Anthony sighed, “Pour me one will you, it’s the least you can do if you’re going to come in here and steal my brandy.”

 

Colin snorted a laugh and poured his older brother his own glass before retaking his seat. Anthony sat for a moment considering his words before he addressed his brother, “I think you will regret it if you do not take this opportunity to travel,” he said carefully, “And I think you could end up resenting Miss Featherington if you do not take this opportunity.”

 

“We could make it a Honeymoon trip,” Colin argued, “What happens if I travel and someone else courts her?”

 

“It wouldn’t be proper to take this tour as a honeymoon trip,” Anthony replied, “The type of tour you are planning, is not something that you take ladies such as Miss Featherington on. Colin, you have been planning some variation of this tour since you were sixteen, you will regret it if you do not leave.”

 

Colin frowned as he considered Anthony’s comments, “And, I do mean this in the nicest way,” Anthony continued, “But I do not think it likely that Miss Featherington will be courted by another in the off-season if you do leave.”

 

“What do you mean by that?” Colin demanded.

 

“Nothing,” Anthony replied, “You know I like Miss Featherington, she is very good friends with at least two of our sisters and she is good company but Colin, she is not what the rest of the Ton consider a great beauty and her father is a notorious gambler, to say nothing of her insufferable mother. Most men will not consider the wallflower with a questionable dowry when they have the rest of the season’s debutantes parading in front of them.”

 

“There’s nothing wrong with Pen,” Colin grumbled into his glass.

 

“There isn’t,” Anthony agreed with a small laugh, “But just because we have had the opportunity to get to know her over the last few years does not mean that the rest of the Ton will do so.”

 

“So if I decided not to go on my tour and court Miss Featherington what would you do?” Colin asked, “Is this a tour or nothing situation?”

 

“Of course not,” Anthony replied, “If you honestly do not wish to take the trip you have been planning for the last six years and you want to marry then I will happily sort out your settlement and wish you both well. I just honestly do think you will regret not going.”

 

“Do you?” Colin asked after a short pause, “Do you regret not going on your tour and having to put up with us all?”

 

“Not at all,” Anthony said quickly, “I’ve never regretted my life Colin but, I won’t deny that I am a little envious that you will get to see all the things I can only ever read about.”

 

“Well maybe I won’t regret my life either if I stay,” Colin argued.

 

“I think you will,” Anthony replied, “Colin, I’m not saying this because I don’t want you to settle or because I don’t want you to marry Miss Featherington. I’m actually quite happy that you have realised you do like her.” Anthony paused, “But I do know what it feels like to have your choices removed; if you stay and marry Miss Featherington with the intention of reinventing your tour into a honeymoon trip and she falls pregnant then you will never get to go.”

 

Colin frowned, he knew that Anthony was correct but in his heart he just knew that someone else would eventually realise just how amazing Penelope was and he wasn’t sure if he wanted to miss his chance.

 

Anthony sighed as he read the warring emotions on his brother’s face, “If it helps,” he said softly, “I think Miss Featherington feels the same about you. Perhaps you need to have a conversation, I am sure that Daphne or Eloise can invite her for tea at some point and then you can have a conversation. Kate or I can chaperone it discreetly and we can talk again after that.”

 

Colin nodded, “Col,” Anthony said quietly as the younger man stood, “You do know I’m not stopping you from doing anything? I just want you to be certain about what you want before you do.”

 

Colin nodded and smiled at his older brother, “Thank you Anth,” he said gruffly, pulling the older man into a rare hug, “And not just for this.”

 


 

“What did Anthony say?” Benedict asked later that evening as he and Colin sat in the hallway waiting for the rest of their party to leave, “You have spoken with him?”

 

“To think about it,” Colin replied, “He thinks I will end up regretting it if I don’t take my tour as planned.”

 

“I’ve told you the same thing,” Benedict replied, “Penelope Featherington will still be here next season. And if you are late back, I’ll dance with her for you.”

 

“Ant said the same thing,” Colin laughed, “Are you sure you two don’t share a brain?”

 

“No,” Benedict replied, “You are just too obvious most of the time.” Colin’s shouts and Benedict’s laughter rang through the house as Anthony, Kate and Daphne all came down the stairs and the party all set out for the Smythe-Smith Musicale. 

 


 

“Why do we sit through this every year?” Kate whispered in Anthony’s ear as they stood at the back of the room, “It’s not like any of these girls can actually play their instruments.”

 

“Because you feel sorry for them,” Anthony replied, “And Lady Danbury bullies you into it every year and you drag me along to keep you company in your torture.”

 

“You are such good company,” Kate teased, “Anyway, you can help me look out for another potential suitor for Daphne, just in case the Duke doesn’t make his proposal.”

 

“Fine,” Anthony replied with an eye-roll, “Or ... we could leave the chaperone duties to Ben and we could go enjoy some time alone.”

 

Kate smirked, “Let me go and say hello to Lady Danbury,” she said, “And tell her about my terrible headache, it is so bad that my dear husband is taking me home for the evening.”

 

Anthony grinned, “I’ll wait by the door,” he promised, “Let me just grab either Ben or Colin and tell them to keep an eye on Daphne.”

 

Ten minutes later Kate and Anthony were giggling to each other in their carriage as they travelled back to Bridgerton House; the footmen opened the carriage door and the pair half-ran up the steps and stairs to their bedchamber like young newlyweds. 

 


 

A week later Simon had returned to London and was sitting at his usual table in Whites nursing a drink when Anthony dropped into the seat next to him, “What are your intentions with my sister?” he asked bluntly, taking a drink of his own from the carafe on the table.

 

“I think she would make a perfect duchess,” Simon replied flatly, “But I can’t marry her.”

 

“What?” Anthony replied, looking at Simon in shock before his eyes hardened in anger, “So you have been leading her on for weeks. She’s had Kate turn suitors away; they were so certain that you were going to propose. You promised me at the start of the season that you would end it before it got to this stage if you weren’t serious. We sat here and you told me that you would retire to the country if you weren’t going to marry her and leave her to make another match; why didn’t you do that?”

 

“I did retire to the country,” Simon protested

 

“And arranged for at least two bouquets of flowers to be sent to the house in your absence,” Anthony shot back, “Not the actions of a man who doesn’t want to marry.”

 

“I can’t do it,” Simon sighed, “I can’t be the Duke of Hastings. I can’t be him.”

 

“You already are the Duke of Hastings,” Anthony stated, “Just like I became the Viscount when my father died. There’s nothing we can do about it, it’s just a fact of life. What is your actual reason?”

 

Simon sighed and had another drink, “I can’t continue his line,” he said eventually, “Don’t all heirs eventually turn into their fathers? I will eventually become that bastard of a man and I can’t do that to Daphne, I can’t do that to anyone.”

 

“You wouldn’t,” Anthony replied, his anger fading slightly, “You’re nothing like him and that is the worst excuse I’ve ever heard. If you are not going to propose to Daphne then tell me so I can talk to her and then leave and do not come back. I never thought you would toy with my sister in this way, I thought we were better friends than that.”

 

Simon nodded and watched blankly as Anthony left the table and walked out of the club. He signalled for the waiter to bring him more whisky and sat, drinking for a few more hours thinking about what to do next.

 

Simon eventually left the club and spent the rest of the night at Hastings House, drinking whisky and staring into the fire. The portrait of his father still hung over the fireplace and Simon contemplated taking it down and burning it in the grate. 

 

“I hate you,” he whispered, staring directly at the portrait, “I hate you so much, it consumes me. But, I love her too.”

 

Simon finished his drink and called for his valet to draw up a bath and pull together his clothes, “I’ll be a better man than you,” he spat, “And my wife will know how much I love her. Maybe I’ll only have daughters, but any son I have will know they are loved for who they are, not just an extension of this accursed line. I will be a better man than you.”

 

As he bathed and dressed Simon thought of the vow he had made his father on his deathbed, when he promised to never marry and never to sire an heir so that the Hastings line would die with him and the vow he had just made to his father’s portrait, to love his wife and be a better man and father. After seeing how fatherhood and married life had calmed his oldest friend, Simon knew that he had to let go of his vow made out of hatred and work to build a life with a wife, and he wanted that wife to be Daphne.

 


 

Simon found his opportunity to speak with Daphne at the ball held by Lady Trowbridge to mark the end of her mourning period. Simon held back a laugh as he overheard Colin Bridgerton make a quip about their young host to the small red-headed girl he seemed very fond of and made his way past Benedict towards Daphne who stood at the edge of the ballroom, looking out over the dancing couples.

 

“May I?” Simon asked as he reached her side.

 

Daphne smiled and held out her wrist so that Simon could claim her next dance, “It is good to see you again Your Grace,” she greeted him with a small curtsey, “I trust your business in the country was profitable.”

 

“It was,” Simon replied as he led her onto the floor, “I think we need to have a conversation, after this set can you meet me on the terrace?”

 

Daphne’s breath caught as she nodded, “Should I let Anthony know?” she asked quietly

 

“I think I would prefer not to see your brother just now,” Simon replied, “I promise, all I want to do is talk.”

 

Daphne nodded and as the dance ended, the couple made their way to the refreshment table before taking their separate ways to the terrace.

 


 

Daphne stood with her back to the ballroom, leaning on the terrace balustrade when Simon approached her from behind, she inhaled sharply when she felt his arms running down her own.

 

“I needed a week in the country to think,” Simon said softly, “When I am around you, I find it difficult to get my thoughts in any order.”

 

“And what did you need to think about?” Daphne asked, not daring to turn her head and look at him.

 

“A lot of things,” Simon replied, “Come, there is a bench just below us we can sit there and talk.”

 

Daphne nodded, “And you are certain I do not need to call for Anthony or Kate?”

 

“I am certain that I wish to have a conversation with you in private,” Simon replied, before taking her hand and leading her away from the terrace.

 

Daphne sat on the bench as Simon stood, pacing in front of her, “What did you need to think of?” she asked again, feeling the tears pooling in her eyes.

 

“About you,” Simon replied, “About marriage and about my father.”

 

Daphne frowned but did not speak as Simon continued, “I’m not sure if Anthony will have said anything, I’m not sure how much he actually knows but I did not get along with my father.” 

 

Daphne nodded, “My mother died giving birth to me,” Simon continued, “After he had pushed her to have another child, he longed for an heir; so much so that he wanted an heir over a son. When I was born, I had a st ... st...  tt...trouble ... sp... speaking. I still do when I am flustered.” 

 

Daphne stood and took Simon’s hand in her own to try and stop his pacing, “I still do not understand what we need to discuss?” she asked softly.

 

“Aunt Agatha removed me from Hastings House when I was seven,” Simon continued, as though Daphne had not spoken, “My father had told his servants and his acquaintances that I had died, he did not want to know me and told me every time I had the misfortune of seeing him. He decided he wanted to know me when he received reports from Oxford that I was on track to obtain a first class degree but it was too late by then. When I received word that he was dying I returned to London,” Simon turned and looked Daphne directly in the eye, “I swore to him, on his deathbed, that I would never marry, never sire an heir and the Hastings line would end with me.”

 

Daphne gasped and ripped her hand from Simon’s, “So what has this been then?” she asked, “Everyone has seen, everyone has commented about how besotted we look, about how you must be on the brink of a proposal. You are my brother’s oldest friend, have you simply been pretending all season?”

 

Simon swallowed at the raw emotion in Daphne’s face, “Do you remember at the start of the season, when we were riding in the Park and Anthony was laughing about Colin’s tour plans?” Daphne nodded, still frowning, unsure of where the conversation was headed, “And I replied that all good plans change?”

 

Simon ran his hand along Daphne’s jaw, “My plans changed,” he whispered, “I never planned on taking a wife, never planned on falling in love and then I met you,” Simon wrapped his other arm around Daphne’s back, drawing her into him, “I made another vow to my father last night, I swore that I would never become him and that any children I had with my wife would be cherished for who they are. I also promised that I would love my wife.”

 

Daphne almost cried as one of Simon’s hands ran across her back and the other cradled her jaw softly, “In the morning,” he continued, “I am going to come and speak with Anthony and then we can have another conversation, I hope that after that conversation, you will agree to becoming my wife.”

 

“I would agree,” Daphne whispered before reaching up to meet Simon’s lips in a passionate kiss. Simon’s hand found its way from her face to the front of her dress and Daphne felt her leg moving to wrap around Simon’s without her even thinking of it. 

 


 

In the ballroom, Kate noticed Daphne and then Simon leaving for the relative privacy of the terrace and debated if she should let Anthony know what she had seen. She still did not know if the two men had managed to speak, Anthony had gone out to the club the previous evening and returned home in a foul mood but he had refused to speak of it when she pressed and experience taught her to leave him when he was in a temper; Anthony would always tell her what had troubled him eventually.

 

A few moments later, Anthony returned from the opposite corner of the room where he had been speaking with his brothers, “Have you seen Daphne?” he asked, scanning the dancefloor for his sister, “Ben and Colin haven’t seen her in a while.”

 

Kate nodded, “She went onto the terrace,” she replied, “I saw her leave but I have not seen her return. Maybe she is speaking with some of the other ladies.”

 

Anthony nodded, “I’ll go take a look, should we take some air wife?”

 

Kate smiled and slipped her arm through Anthony’s, “It is a little warm in there,” she said as they left the room, “It wouldn’t surprise me if Daphne is still here, trying to catch her breath.”

 

“I managed to speak with Simon,” Anthony offered as they walked along the terrace looking for Daphne, “Told him that he has to make up his mind and tell Daphne. Is he here tonight, do you know?”

 

“I think he is still here,” Kate replied, “He did lead Daphne in a dance earlier, that must be a good sign?”

 

“Hmmm,” Anthony agreed, “She isn’t here, can you go and check if our carriage is still here? She may have slipped off home without letting us know.”

 

“I doubt that,” Kate laughed, “That will be Eloise’s trick next season, Daphne would have at least let Ben or Colin know if she couldn’t find one of us.”

 

“I’ll go check if she isn’t down in the garden,” Anthony nodded, “Make your way to the front and I’ll meet you there.”

 

Kate nodded, and the couple went their separate ways.

 

Anthony walked down the steps into the Trowbridge garden, he knew from previous experience that there was a small clearing set a little way back from the terrace with some benches overlooking a water feature and thought that his sister may be sitting there.  He rounded a corner and came into the clearing to find Simon with his hand making its way down Daphne’s dress as they kissed and she wrapped her leg around his. 

 

Anthony didn’t hesitate, he pulled Simon away from Daphne and punched him square in the face sending the other man sprawling to the ground.

 

“If you are not in the parlour of Bridgerton House tomorrow morning with your family betrothal ring, I will end the Hastings line,” he snarled, “Do you understand me?”

 

Simon nodded, wisely choosing to stay silent and away from the siblings as Anthony wrapped his coat around Daphne and guided her out of the gardens towards the carriages.

 

Daphne sat in the carriage, still wrapped in Anthony’s coat as Kate stared at her from the opposite bench in concern, “What happened?” she asked, “Are you alright Daphne?”

 

Daphne shook her head and Anthony’s furious face prevented Kate from pushing him further.

 

“You can’t mean to duel though?” Daphne said suddenly, as the carriage pulled to a stop outside of Bridgerton House, “You didn’t hear what he said to me before you arrived.”

 

“I didn’t need to,” Anthony replied, practically spitting in his fury, “Go upstairs Daphne and leave this to me.”

 


 

“Anthony, what happened?” Kate asked as Anthony stormed around his study, “You aren’t actually going to duel the Duke are you?”

 

“I might have to,” Anthony replied, finally stopping and dropping against his desk, “You didn’t see what he was doing to her.”

 

Kate frowned, “Anthony, what did you see?” she pressed, “What did he do to her?”

 

“I don’t know how long they had been there,” Anthony said eventually, “But he had his hands down the front of her dress and she wasn’t pushing him away.”

 

“Is he going to propose?” Kate pressed.

 

“I told him to be here in the morning with his ring,” Anthony replied, “If he isn’t, then I’ll call him out and ...”

 

“Edmund is still a child,” Kate whispered, closing her eyes and wrapping her arms around her middle, “Benedict would have to oversee everything, could he do that? Could Ben do all of this? And what of me, what of Charlotte?”

 

“It won’t come to that,” Anthony soothed, pulling her into his arms, “He didn’t seem opposed when I found them. Maybe it is time for you to go to the modiste and start ordering her Trousseau.”

 

Kate kissed Anthony softly, “Let’s go to bed,” she whispered, “Tomorrow everything will sort itself out.”

 


 

Daphne collapsed onto her bed in tears when she reached her room, thankful that her younger sisters seemed to be asleep and she could be left undisturbed. What had been the most romantic moment of her young life had been ruined by Anthony and his temper.

 

She ran her hands over her lips, thinking of the kisses she had shared with Simon and his promises to love and cherish her as his wife. She smiled to herself, tomorrow Simon would be arriving and she would be on her way to being a Duchess. 

 

Suddenly, an awful thought gripped her, what if Anthony’s display or her own wantonness had scared Simon away. What if he did not arrive tomorrow with his family’s ring as promised and instead fled London or worse, the country, to get away from Anthony and from her. She gasped at the pain such thought caused her, Simon had sounded so sincere in his words when they had been alone in the garden but what if he had just said what he thought she wanted to hear. Daphne dissolved into another round of tears, clutching at her pillow to muffle her sobs.

 

Eventually, Daphne fell into a fitful sleep, her mind warring between her elation at finally finding her husband and knowing that he loves her too and her worry that she had somehow managed to ruin it all in one unguarded moment. 

 


 

Simon approached Bridgerton House and was not surprised when the door was opened before his foot hit the bottom step, “Get in,” Anthony snarled from the door, “You better be here to ask for her hand.”

 

“I am,” Simon replied, pulling the ring from his inner pocket, “Complete with family ring so you can put your pistols away now.”

 

Anthony rolled his eyes, and pushed the other man into the study, “I can assure you that Daphne’s dowry is quite substantial; I will contact my solicitor to arrange for the transfer of funds to you.”

 

“Stop,” Simon said, “I don’t need Daphne’s dowry. Keep it, you’ve a tribe of sisters to marry off or place it in trust for her directly, I will not be accepting a dowry to marry her. I was going to do this anyway, you know,” Simon added, “When you saw us last night, I was telling her about my reasons for being so reluctant but that I was going to marry her.”

 

“You were not doing any talking when I found you,” Anthony grumbled, “Imagine if someone else had seen you.”

 

“We would be in the same position we are in now,” Simon replied, “Only one of us would be writing to the Archbishop for a special licence. At least this way, everything will be done to a proper timescale.”

 

“Fine,” Anthony relented, “Daphne is in the parlour taking tea with Kate. I’ve asked the others to stay upstairs for now so go and ask and then we can get back to normal.”

 

Simon left Bridgerton House an hour later with plans to speak with the Archbishop about reading their banns as he and Miss Daphne Bridgerton were now engaged to be wed. 

Notes:

I hope my characterisation of Simon works here, I have sped up the journey he goes on through canon when he realises that he loves Daphne and he needs to let go of the power his father holds over him so that he can be happy. In my mind, it is the changes in Anthony that help him realise this; from Simon’s point of view he left a broken and grieving Anthony in 1805 and then returned in 1813 to a relatively happy and settled family man with a stunning wife who is his partner in everything and Simon wants the same thing. Also, I just couldn’t resist the garden scene at the Trowbridge ball but I just couldn’t imagine this Anthony and Simon levelling pistols at each other.

Chapter 5: Chapter Three - 1813 : Part Three

Notes:

Thank you again for all the love you are showing my little story!

This chapter is a little bit all over the place, I wanted to set up a few things for 1814; mainly Benedict and his art scene and Eloise’s complete panic about anything society related. I’m trying to get all the adult Bridgerton stories set up and it does make it a little choppy as they are not all in the same place (physically and mentally!).

❗❗Just a bit of a warning here - I do discuss miscarriage at the end of this chapter so if you do not wish to read that then end the chapter when Eloise and Benedict leave the opera. This is also why I have upped the rating. ❗❗

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Over the next few weeks, Bridgerton House turned into a hive of activity as preparations for Daphne and Simon’s wedding got underway. Daphne spent many hours at the modiste being fitted for her bridal gown, trousseau and going away outfits. 

 

“Are you really going to go and live with the Duke?” Hyacinth asked, as she skipped into Daphne’s room with several servants carrying boxes of dresses trailing behind her, “Will he not come and live here?”

 

“No,” Daphne laughed, “I will go and live with the Duke at his house. But I am sure he will let you come and visit.”

 

“But ... Kate came to live with us when she married Anthony,” Hyacinth protested, “So why wouldn’t the Duke come and live here now you are getting married?”

 

“That isn’t how it works,” Daphne replied, sitting on the edge of her bed and pulling her youngest sister next to her, “When a lady gets married, she goes to live with her husband and his family. When you marry, you will go and live with your husband, you wouldn’t stay here with Anthony and Kate.”

 

Hyacinth frowned, “I don’t think I would like to leave PapaAnt,” she muttered, “I won’t get married and then I won’t have to leave.”

 

Daphne laughed slightly and pulled Hyacinth into a hug, “I think you will change your mind,” she said softly, “And I’m sure Anthony won’t mind if you did go and live with your husband eventually.”

 


 

Daphne sat at her dresser on the morning of her wedding, watching Rose pin up her hair. The ladies maid was coming with Daphne to Hastings House and then onto Clyveden and Daphne was glad that some aspect of her old life was coming with her into her new one. 

 

Anthony slipped into the room as Rose was putting the final touches to Daphne’s hair and placing her veil in place, “Are you ready?” he asked softly.

 

Daphne beamed at him, “I am,” she said, “What do you think?”

 

“Beautiful,” Anthony smiled, “Come on, everyone else has already left for the church.”

 

The siblings made their way down the staircase and Anthony helped Daphne into their best carriage, “I’m sure Papa would have had something to say if he were still the one here doing this,” Anthony said softly as they rode to the church, “But in his place, I want to say that I am so proud of you Daph; and they would be too.”

 

Daphne reached for Anthony’s hand and squeezed it softly, “Do you think they would have liked him?” she asked, with a watery smile.

 

“I do,” Anthony replied, “Papa met him a few times when we were both at Eton and he did always like him then. I think if anything, Papa would have sorted all this out earlier for you.”

 

Daphne smiled, “But it all worked out so I’m not too bothered,” she assured him, “I love you Anth, I know I don’t call you the same name as the babies but you have been a very good father.”

 

The carriage stopped and the pair exited, Anthony giving Daphne a firm hug as they entered the church. 

 


 

If she was asked later, Daphne would tell you that she could not remember any of her wedding ceremony. She remembered Anthony walking her down the aisle and giving her a soft kiss on her forehead as he handed her over to the Duke and she remembered Simon standing at the altar, in his new suit with a cravat to match the tiny details of her dress but she could not remember reciting her wedding vows to the Archbishop or him declaring them the Duke and Duchess of Hastings, she felt as though she floated back down the aisle holding onto Simon’s arm.

 

“How do you feel, wife?” Simon asked her with a grin as he seated himself opposite her in the Hastings carriage, “Are you ready to face the Ton?”

 

“I’m so wonderfully happy,” Daphne smiled, “And as long as you promise to stand with me, I’m sure we’ll get through the wedding breakfast.”

 

Three hours later, after greeting what seemed like the entirety of Mayfair, Daphne was back in her childhood bedroom getting ready to leave for her honeymoon. She had sat on the end of her bed for a moment to catch her breath when Kate entered.

 

“I think we need to have a conversation,” Kate said as she sat next to Daphne, “About what the Duke will be expecting tonight.”

 

“The wedding night,” Daphne clarified, “I know I will be expected to sleep in the same bed as the Duke.”

 

Kate nodded, “It is a little more than that,” she continued, “You will share a bed with the Duke, yes, but there is more to the wedding night. There is an act, the marital act, that you will be expected to perform.”

 

“The marital act,” Daphne repeated, “Is this what brings about children?”

 

“It is,” Kate smiled, “And it can be glorious! The Duke will know what to do but I did not want you to leave without us speaking of it.”

 

Daphne nodded, “Does it hurt?” she asked, “I remember when Hyacinth was born and Mama was in so much pain. And when Anne was born, you screamed for hours. Does the marital act hurt like that too?”

 

“It doesn’t,” Kate replied, “The marital act is different from childbirth. I am not certain exactly what transpired between you and the Duke in the Trowbridge Garden,” Kate began, “And I do not need to know but do you remember how you felt when you and the Duke were in the garden?”

 

Daphne blushed slightly and nodded, “Was that the marital act?” she gasped, “Oh! No wonder Anthony was so angry!”

 

“It isn’t,” Kate assured her quickly, “But the kind of things you and the Duke were doing in those gardens can lead to the marital act. That feeling you had, the one where you just want to be closer to the Duke, that is what you will feel when you come to perform the marital act.” Kate paused, feeling her own intense embarrassment at talking about such things with her sister-in-law, “The man will feel the same way but his body reacts differently, his length will become hard, you will notice this and the Duke seems like the kind of man who will definitely tell you when he is feeling that way.”

 

Daphne frowned, “What length?” she asked, “And how will I know?”

 

“Just trust me,” Kate replied, blushing furiously, “You will know. When you are both ready to perform the act, the Duke will insert his length into your ... the part of you in between your legs and this is how a child can be made. The Duke will release his seed and this seed quickens into a child.”

 

“And this happens everytime?” Daphne asked, “Everytime the act is performed a child is made?”

 

“No,” Kate replied, “It is simply a chance that it will happen when the act is performed. You will know you are with a child when your courses do not come that month. Your maid will know when they are due and I am sure she will inform you.”

 

Daphne nodded, “And this act, the Duke will be expecting us to perform it tonight?” she clarified, still unsure if she had fully understood Kate’s explanations.

 

“He will,” Kate replied, “He seems like an honourable man and he will at least wait until you are in bed but some men enjoy performing the act in a carriage or a study chair or ...”

 

“Stop please!” Daphne laughed, “I take it this is something you and my brother enjoy; well you have had three children, so you must do so.”

 

Kate laughed, “I will leave it there,” she promised, giving Daphne a strong hug, “Now come, I’m sure everyone will want to see you off.”

 


 

Simon turned to Daphne as their carriage rolled away from Bridgerton House, “It is too far for us to journey to Clyveden in one day,” he said, “So I have arranged for us to stay at an inn just outside of Tonbridge for the night. It is a perfectly pleasant place to stay ...”

 

“An Inn,” Daphne repeated faintly, “Well, I suppose there will be a bed in an inn,” she said, almost to herself.

 

Simon frowned, “Of course there will be,” he replied, “Have you never had to ... You’ve never had to stay in an Inn before have you?”

 

Daphne shook her head, “We can travel to Aubrey Hall in an afternoon,” she replied, “And I’ve never visited anywhere else.”

 

“It is a perfectly pleasant place,” Simon assured her, taking her hands in his own, “I have stayed there a number of times and I have ensured we have been given their best room.”

 

Daphne nodded, “And so it is at this Inn that we will perform the marital act?” she asked, “Or, well ... Kate did tell me that some men like to perform it in a carriage ...”

 

Simon looked at her with a look that was torn somewhere between disgust and amusement, “I think that is more than I ever needed to know about the activities your brother and his wife partake in,” he snorted, “And if you wish to wait until we reach Clyveden then I am perfectly content to simply sleep in the same bed as you tonight. Just please, no more talk of your brother and his wife!”

 

Daphne giggled and Simon reached across her to close the curtains of the carriage window, “We do have several hours to fill though,” he muttered, pulling her into a kiss, “And no one can stop us from doing this now.”

 

Daphne sighed happily and reached up her hands to run through Simon’s hair, pulling him deeper into the kiss.

 


 

Daphne stood behind the changing screen in the Inn room and heard Rose the Duke as the maid left the room. She smoothed her hands along the front of her nightgown and took a deep breath. She had half understood Kate’s explanations about what she would be expected to do this evening but Simon’s comments in the carriage had also confused her, she wasn’t aware that the marital act could be postponed in the way he had suggested. 

 

She took one last glance at herself in the mirror before moving the screen to the side and facing her husband. She had chosen to wear one of the nightgowns that had formed part of her trousseau, it was made of a lot more lace than her usual nightgowns and was cut quite low around her chest. Simon sat on a chair by the fire in his breeches and shirt, he did not want to be fully ready for bed when Daphne emerged as he did not want to rush his new bride, especially as they were spending their wedding night at a coaching inn and not one of their properties.

 

“Goddess,” Simon breathed when he caught sight of her, “You are so beautiful.”

 

He crossed the room to her in three strides and wrapped her into his arms, “Do you want to go to bed, Wife?” he asked softly, kissing along her jaw and down her neck. Daphne nodded and Simon guided her over to lie on the bed whilst he removed his braces and untucked his shirt.

 

Simon moved to hover over Daphne as she ran her hands over his arms and along his chest, “I’m not sure what to do,” Daphne said softly, ducking her head to avoid his eyes, “Is this OK?”

 

“More than OK,” Simon replied, lifting her head so they were looking in each other’s eyes, “You can touch me wherever you wish, would you like me to remove my shirt?”

 

Daphne nodded and Simon raised himself up slightly to tug his shirt over his head, smirking slightly at Daphne’s gasp when she first caught sight of his well-muscled chest. Her small hands crept along his chest and lower towards the edge of his breeches.

 

“If you want us to wait until Clyveden to consummate this marriage,” Simon whispered, “You need to stop, otherwise we will have our true wedding night here in this bed.”

 

“Can I see?” Daphne asked, “I ... Kate explained some but ... I have never seen and I ...”

 

Simon closed his eyes and kissed Daphne deeply, running his hands up her legs to bunch her nightgown around her hips, his fingers running along the tops of her thighs, “Daphne,” he groaned, “I need you.”

 

Daphne nodded faintly and untied the ribbons at her shoulders, allowing the top of the nightgown to fall. Simon stood and removed his breeches before coming back to hover over her body again. 

 

The couple kissed deeply and Daphne finally understood what Kate’s embarrassed explanations meant.

 


 

Back in London, Benedict sat at a corner table in Whites, running his finger along the edge of his glass. He had been in an odd mood ever since Daphne’s engagement and he was struggling to explain his mood to his brothers who had noticed his melancholy. 

 

He hadn’t told Anthony but he had returned home from the Trowbridge Ball not long after Anthony and Kate had and he overheard the end of their conversation. Kate asking if he could step up and take Anthony’s place in the family and the slight scoff in her tone as she said it had hurt more than he realised at the time. 

 

Benedict knew he wasn’t as responsible as his older brother, and he was grateful that the responsibility of their family hadn’t fallen on his shoulders all those years ago but he thought he was useful to Anthony, that Kate enjoyed his company to hear them both dismissing him in that way had cut him deeply but he was struggling to work out how he could confront them without explaining that he had been listening into their conversation.

 

"Mr Bridgerton," a voice greeted him warmly, "Come, tell me what you think of these paintings."

 

Benedict smiled ruefully, he had been a bit of a fool the last time he had met Henry Granville, and it seemed that the other man would not be letting him forget that anytime soon.

 

“Do you do any painting of your own?” Granville asked as Benedict joined him, “Or do you spend your time critiquing others?”

 

Benedict blushed slightly, “I dabble,” he admitted, “But nothing I have produced is worthy of being put on someone’s wall. Let alone Somerset House.”

 

Granville smiled, “Us second sons have all the luck you know,” he said, “We get to party whilst our brothers shoulder the responsibilities,” he handed Benedict a card, “I hold a salon every Thursday for other artists and like minded fellows, come along tomorrow; let me introduce you to everyone.”

 

Benedict nodded and left the club feeling lighter than he had for some time. 

 


 

Daphne couldn’t control her reaction when the carriage came up the drive towards Clyveden, she would now be mistress of this house! Simon smiled slightly at her side, reaching over for her hand, “It’s not as awful as Hastings House,” he muttered, “But I can’t wait to make our mark on this place.”

 

“I will need to make friends with your housekeeper, Mrs Colson, you said?” Daphne determined, “Kate said that Mrs Wilson was so helpful to her when she and Anthony first married.”

 

“I’m sure Mrs Colson will help you,” Simon replied, “But I don’t plan on us leaving our bed chamber for a few days first.”

 

Daphne giggled and clapped a hand over her mouth to stop the sound as the carriage rolled to a stop and a footman jumped down to open the door.

 

Daphne’s first introduction to the formidable housekeeper did not go the way she wished with the older woman looking down her nose at Daphne as though she believed the daughter of a Viscount was not suitable to be the new Duchess but before she could think on it any further, Simon swept her into his arms and practically ran to their chamber, the newly-wed pair giggling all the way.

 


 

Two days later their honeymoon bliss had to come to an end with the intrusion of Simon’s duties, “What are your plans for the day?” Simon asked as he pulled on his jacket.

 

“I thought of taking up Mrs Colson’s offer of a tour,” Daphne replied, “I would like to know more about the place now I am mistress.”

 

“Take notes of what you wish to redecorate,” Simon replied, “I have no attachment to anything here, you can rip it all out and start again for me so do not hold back.”

 

Daphne smiled, “I will inform you later,” she promised, “Maybe we could take tea?”

 

Simon nodded and kissed her softly before heading for his study. 

 

Daphne walked alongside the housekeeper as the older woman kept up a steam of information about Clyveden and the late Duchess. It was still clear to Daphne from her comments that Mrs Colson did not believe Daphne would live up to the legacy of her previous mistress. 

 

“The Duke and I would like to redecorate some rooms,” Daphne offered as she took in the dark austere dining room, “Mainly to put our own stamp on things, fashions have changed slightly since the late Duke last decorated I think.”

 

Mrs Colson sniffed, “If Your Grace thinks it is appropriate,” she muttered, “Now, come, this is the nursery.”

 

Daphne smiled softly as she entered the room, knowing that the last child to have taken residence here was her husband. She ran her hand over the crib, imagining a small baby with a perfect blend of hers and Simon’s features laying in it, “Hopefully we will soon add to this room,” she said softly.

 

Mrs Colson gave Daphne a smile, the kindest reaction the housekeeper had had to the new Duchess all week. 

 

“The Duke mentioned that there will be a fayre in the village in a few days,” Daphne offered, “I thought that it would be nice to allow the staff some time off to attend; I know the staff at my brother’s country residence always enjoyed the fayres in our own village.”

 

“I expect they will have too much to do,” Mrs Colson replied, “Now Your Graces are in residence. I doubt they will have the time.”

 

“That is a shame,” Daphne commiserated, “Maybe we could look at something to allow them to attend in groups? I wouldn’t like anyone to miss out on the fun whilst we are here.”

 

Mrs Colson sniffed and moved the conversation on again, pointing out portraits of Simon’s ancestors along with favourite things of the late Duke and Duchess.

 


 

Simon found Daphne curled in a corner of the library when he finished his work, “My love,” he said, noticing that she seemed upset, “What is wrong? Have you had some distressing news from London?”

 

“I am being silly,” Daphne replied, wiping her face and straightening to face Simon, “Ignore me.”

 

“Something has upset you,” Simon frowned, kneeling in front of her and taking her hand, “What is wrong?”

 

“I suppose I’m a little homesick,” Daphne replied with a small laugh, “I’m used to the staff at home and how they act, things are different here and I’m just feeling a little overwhelmed.”

 

Simon sighed and moved onto the sofa next to Daphne, pulling her into his arms, “All of the staff here, apart from Jeffries, were my father’s servants,” he said softly, “They do not like how I want to change everything; I am sorry that they are taking that out on you too.”

 

“I thought that Mrs Colson would like my idea of giving the staff time off to attend the fayre,” Daphne replied, “But she dismissed it immediately. I just wanted the staff to have the time to enjoy themselves too.”

 

“I know,” Simon assured her, “And they will. The time off they have will be staggered and they will all attend anyway. I’m not sure why Mrs Colson wouldn’t have just told you that. Did she tell you about the livestock prizes?”

 

Daphne frowned and shook her head, “As Duchess they will ask you to judge the livestock competitions,” Simon explained, “The winner of each category wins the contract to supply the house with meat and other goods for the year. It is very important to the village and it will help you to get along well with them if you take the time to judge.”

 

“I will,” Daphne promised, “Do the same farmers enter each year? I wouldn’t want to cause friction by picking the same man who wins every year.”

 

“I’m not certain,” Simon replied, “But I will check the ledgers, the last winner has just had his last payment so we can at least ensure that another man wins this year.”

 

“Kate advised me to make baskets with herbs and other things we grow here to send down to the village,” Daphne commented, “Would that be welcomed here? I think Kate’s duties as a Viscountess and mine as a Duchess will be slightly different.”

 

“I think the housewives in the village will welcome a basket from the house,” Simon replied, “And I don’t think the duties of the house towards the village change all that much based on your rank. We can make our own traditions, I don’t have any memories of a Duchess of Hastings so you can do what you like as far as I am concerned.”

 

“Mrs Colson did show me the nursery,” Daphne offered after the couple had sat silently for a while, “It struck me then, that you were the last person to live in those rooms.”

 

“I was here until I was five,” Simon replied, “When it was obvious that I had issues with my speech, my father removed me from the nursery and sent me to London. He did not spend much time in London in those days, and when he came up for Parliamentary business he would stay at his club. Aunt Agatha took me in when I was seven and I didn’t come back to this house until I had word he was dying. I reopened Hastings House under protest at the start of the season, I would have been perfectly happy staying at Danbury House as I always have done but Aunt Agatha had other ideas”

 

Daphne turned slightly so that she could wrap her arms around Simon, “I do have a few ideas about redecorating,” she said, “I thought we could start with the formal dining room, we don’t need it just for the two of us and that way we can entertain Anthony and Kate when the season ends.”

 

Simon smiled, “We could make the arrangements to start on all the formal entertaining rooms,” he replied, “Then we could host your family and Aunt Agatha for Christmas. Do the Sheffields spend Christmas with you too?”

 

“Always,” Daphne replied, “Well, Edwina always does. Mary sometimes spends the time with her parents but I think she would attend if we hosted.”

 

“I will ask Jeffries to make enquiries with some decorators and other trades,” Simon promised, “We can make the arrangements whilst we are here and then have them start in a few weeks, we will have to head back to London for the Royal Garden Party so we may as well stay from then until the end of the season. It will give them enough time to sort out things here and then we can hire some more trades to start on Hastings House when we leave London.”

 


 

After six glorious weeks in the country, it was time for the new Duke and Duchess of Hastings to return to London, as two of the highest ranking members of society; they had to be present at the Royal Garden Party.

 

“We will stop in the same Inn on the way back into town,” Simon stated as they rode away from Clyveden, “Although at least you will know that there will be beds this time!”

 

“Oh hush!” Daphne laughed, swatting his chest lightly, “Kate confused me so much with her explanations of the wedding night I didn’t know what to think!”

 

“The lack of information you ladies are given about your own bodies is shameful,” Simon grumbled, “But I have to say, I have enjoyed teaching you.”

 

Daphne blushed, thinking of the secret she was currently keeping. Her courses had been due the previous week and they had still not made an appearance. Rose, her ladies maid, had advised her to keep the news to herself until she missed a second course but Daphne was sure all the servants were gossiping about things in the kitchens. 

 


 

Eloise sat on the swing in the gardens of Bridgerton House, thinking about how her life would change next year. She had watched Daphne prepare for her debut and saw how excited Edwina seemed to be about their own debuts next season and could not bring herself to feel the same way. 

 

Eloise saw nothing but a boring life of duty and calls in her future if she did debut; she had tried appealing to Kate and Anthony both together and separately to let her delay her debut for a year but Anthony had told her in no uncertain terms that she had to debut at 18 and so she had no choice but to do so next year.

 

She was sitting, rubbing her shoe in the dirt underneath the swing when her friend, Penelope, entered the garden, “El,” Penelope said softly, “Are you well?”

 

“You’ll tell me the truth Pen, won’t you?” Eloise asked, looking at her friend desperately, “Promise me you will.”

 

“Of course,” Penelope agreed, taking her own seat on the neighbouring swing, “The truth about what?”

 

“All of it,” Eloise replied, her voice cracking with misery, “The balls, the performances, being presented. Anthony has told me I have no choice, I have to do it next year and I can’t imagine it being anything other than absolute misery. Is it?”

 

“Not all the time,” Penelope replied, honestly, “But the balls are nice, there is always at least one or two interesting people to talk with and it is nice to dance. And I enjoy the performances, watching the opera or an orchestra perform is wonderful.”

 

“You’ve never said,” Eloise said softly, watching her friend’s face light up when describing the events of the season, “I always thought you went along with it because your Mama made you. Not because you enjoy it yourself.”

 

“I don’t enjoy my Mama’s fashion choices,” Penelope replied, “You will have the better deal there, Kate at least understands fashion, but I do enjoy being out.”

 

“I’m scared,” Eloise said eventually, “What happens if I meet someone and they make me leave?”

 

“Leave what?” Penelope asked, confused by her friend’s line of thought.

 

“London, Bridgerton House, all of you,” Eloise replied, “What happens if I marry and have a child? My Mama died after she had Hyacinth. Kate screamed for hours when she had all three of her children; I can still hear the screams when it is quiet.”

 

Penelope stood and wrapped her friend in a fierce hug, “But if you do marry, you will have met the man you wish to spend the rest of your life with,” she said softly, “Look at your brother and Kate, they are so happy together; and Daphne and the Duke, they are so in love. Do you not want that?”

 

“Maybe,” Eloise shrugged, “I’m just not sure I want all the frippery and feathers that come with it.”

 

Penelope laughed, “The feathers do leave a lot to be desired,” she agreed, “But honestly El, it is magical. And when you come out, we can watch it all together.”

 

Eloise smiled, “You are truly my best friend,” she said, giving Penelope a hug of her own.

 


 

Two weeks after their return to London, Simon and Daphne found themselves at the opera. Anthony and Kate had agreed to allow Eloise and Edwina to accompany them to get the two girls used to society events; Eloise was standing at Kate’s side, visibly uncomfortable whilst Edwina stood with Benedict, her eyes wide in delight. 

 

“You look well Daph,” Anthony said, greeting his sister with a kiss to her cheek, “I trust Clyveden lived up to expectations?”

 

“It did,” Daphne replied, “I can’t wait to tell you all about it, are you looking forward to the concert Eloise?”

 

“No,” Eloise replied, “But I have been dragged here so I suppose I should at least try.”

 

Kate rolled her eyes but otherwise ignored the younger girl, “You will have to update me on your renovations,” she offered, “Are you planning on the same here in London?”

 

The two women then began their own discussion, moving away from the main group, towards the refreshment tables. 

 

“How long will this concert last?” Eloise asked as she moved over towards Benedict and Edwina, “I feel like we have been here for hours already.”

 

“At least three hours,” Benedict replied, sneaking a drink from his flask as he did so, “Why sister, you can’t possibly be thinking of leaving already?”

 

“If only I could,” Eloise retorted, “But you know Anthony will not let me.”

 

“Not alone,” Benedict replied, “But I happen to have a prior engagement tonight that our dear brother is not aware of; I would be happy to take you home on my way.”

 

“You are my most favourite brother!” Eloise exclaimed, clinging to Benedict’s arm as they left the show.

 


 

 

Daphne and Simon sat in their own box, opposite her brother’s and settled into their chairs. Simon let his hand rest over Daphne’s leg slightly, giving them both some comfort for the long show ahead of them.

 

Half way through the first act, Daphne inhaled sharply after feeling a sharp pain across her abdomen. She tapped Simon’s hand lightly and moved it from her knee before slipping out of the box. She entered the ladies receiving room and pulling up her skirts before feeling and seeing the blood coming down her legs. 

 

Before she could stop it, she began to sob, her body shaking with the force of her cries as she pressed the provided linen in between her legs.

 

In their own box, Kate and Anthony saw Daphne slip out of the box followed by Simon’s concerned face, watching her leave, “I’ll go over,” Kate whispered to Anthony, slipping out of her own box and rushing around to Daphne.

 

Kate entered the receiving room and immediately knew what had happened, “Oh Daph,” she said softly, drawing the younger woman into her arms, rocking her slightly, “Shh, come on; we’ll go back to Bridgerton House and all will be well.”

 

“I really thought,” Daphne cried into Kate’s shoulder, “I had missed two ... and I really thought ...”

 

Kate closed her eyes, she knew that this wasn’t something as easily dealt with as a slightly late course, Daphne probably was experiencing some kind of miscarriage, “Come on,” she said, helping the younger woman stand, “I’ll leave word for the Duke and we’ll take our carriage back to Bridgerton House.”

 

Daphne swayed slightly as she stood, leaning heavily on Kate as the two women made their way towards the rear exit of the theatre. Kate left a note for Simon so that the man would know that the two women had left and waited for a Bridgerton footman to arrive to help them both into the carriage.

 

“I asked for my carriage,” Kate stated in confusion as one of the Hastings men appeared in front of them, “The Duke is still here.”

 

“The Bridgerton carriage is not here my lady,” the man replied, “Mr Benedict Bridgerton took it earlier; we can take Her Grace back now.”

 

“Her Grace is unwell,” Kate replied, “We are going to Bridgerton House so I can care for her until the Duke returns.”

 

The two women sat in the carriage on their way back to Mayfair, Daphne’s head resting on Kate’s shoulder as the younger woman cried silently, “Kate,” Daphne said quietly, “Can I just go to sleep? I’m very tired.”

 

“Not until we get inside,” Kate replied, “Tell me more about the plans you have for Clyveden. And Hastings House; I might see if I can talk Anthony into redecorating some of our rooms and I would like some ideas.”

 


 

“Where did our wives go?” Anthony asked Simon with a frown at the interval, “Do you suppose there is a married women's club they can run off to now?”

 

Simon laughed, “I’m not sure,” he said, looking around in concern for his own wife, “Daphne seemed unwell when she left our box but I’m sure they would have left word if they had returned home.”

 

“Your Grace!” one of the theatre employees ran up to Simon, slightly out of breath, “I have a message for you from Lady Bridgerton.”

 

Simon took the note from the man and read the same with wide eyes before pushing it towards Anthony and taking his leave from the room.

 

Simon

 

Daphne has taken ill, we have returned to Bridgerton House. Please tell Anthony when you can and return home. 

 

Kate

 

PS - It appears Benedict has taken our carriage, I will send your own back for you when we have been delivered home.

 

Anthony joined Simon at the theatre door, “I need to collect Edwina,” he said softly, “She is talking with the Featherington girls but then we will join you and go back. Has your carriage returned?”

 

Simon shook his head and Anthony set off to retrieve his sister-in-law.

 


 

Simon entered Bridgerton House just as the doctor was leaving, “Doctor?” he asked, “My wife?”

 

“Her Grace is sleeping now,” the doctor replied, “She will be well enough to return home in the morning and I would recommend that you allow her a week before resuming your marital relations. This should have no impact on Her Grace’s ability to bear further children.”

 

Simon faltered, “Thank you doctor,” Anthony replied for him, pushing Simon further into the house.

 

Edwina smiled and slipped upstairs, wisely choosing to leave the two men and retire for the evening.

 

“I didn’t know,” Simon said as Anthony guided him into the study and put him in a chair, “I didn’t know.”

 

“Daphne might not have known,” Anthony replied, taking his own seat, “This has happened to Kate ... it is too early to know for certain but ...”

 

“There was still a child,” Simon finished quietly, “Can I go up to see her?”

 

Anthony nodded, “I’ll go and see what room she is in,” he replied, “I think her old one but Kate might have put her in a guest room so the girls don’t disturb her.”

 


 

“How are you?” Anthony asked Kate as they lay in bed.

 

Kate stifled a sob, “It hasn’t been that long since it last happened to me,” she whispered, “And I do not wish to say anything too soon but ...”

 

Anthony’s hand moved to rest lightly on Kate’s stomach, “Then we won’t say anything,” he said softly, “I love you.”

 

Kate kissed him softly, “I love you too,” she smiled. 

Notes:

So, there we have it - Simon and Daphne are married. I hope Kate delivering the awkward sex talk works - I’m trying to balance my idea of Kate enjoying having a lot of sex with Anthony with the embarrassment of having to discuss the same with her sister-in-law; also at the time period, it would not have been proper for women of their class to talk about this at all so poor Kate tries her best but she doesn’t fully know how to explain it all - she just knows how much she enjoys it!

I made the decision not to show everything we see with the honeymoon that we do in the show, just because it doesn’t really change that much except Daphne understands exactly how a baby is made and Simon isn’t in the same place regarding his vow with his father so they are very much trying to make a baby Bassett.

I think out of all my couples, Daphne and Simon are the only ones who have their canon children as theirs is the only storyline that happens in the same timeframe.

Chapter 6: Chapter Four - 1813 : Part Four

Notes:

Thank you again for all the love you are showing my story ❤️

This chapter is a little Featherington heavy but it needed to be to help set things up for the next season. This is the end of the 1813 season, I hope you all enjoy.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

It was wonderful to convalesce with a loving husband at your side, Daphne thought as she woke wrapped in Simon’s arms in their bed. She had returned from Bridgerton House following that awful night at the opera a week ago and Simon had hardly left her side, she sighed happily and sank into his embrace feeling his arms tightening slightly as she did so.

 

“Good morning,” Simon said softly, dropping a kiss to her hair, “What are your plans for today?”

 

“I thought I would start to plan our ball,” Daphne replied, “If we are going to host the entirety of Mayfair in a few weeks then I need to go to the modiste and I need to plan the decor and menus.”

 

Simon nodded, “And you are well enough to travel to the modiste?” he asked, concern clear in his face, “Could the modiste come here?”

 

“I am going with Kate,” Daphne replied, “We are getting Edwina and Eloise new gowns too so I will be well looked after, I promise.”

 

Simon gave her a soft kiss, “I will see you at dinner this evening then,” he joked, “I am sure it will take you all day to get Eloise fitted.”

 


 

Whilst Daphne was at the modiste, Simon took the opportunity to attend the club with his brothers-in-law.

 

“How is Daph?” Anthony asked as the four men sat at a table, “Has she gone shopping with Kate?”

 

“Better,” Simon replied, “She has; we’re going to be holding the closing ball of the season so she has thrown herself into the planning.”

 

The group made their way over to the gambling tables, joining a group of other men who were already embroiled in a game of cards. Baron Featherington was already at the table and from the look of things was already losing heavily. 

 

The embattled Baron tried to engage his neighbours in conversation, in the hopes that one of the Bridgerton men would take pity on his state and stand him some coin. The three resolutely ignored the man and soon Baron Featherington left the club.

 

“His poor wife,” one of the older men sighed, “Does he not have three unmarried girls at home too?”

 

“He does,” Anthony confirmed, “And they might be there for some time if he keeps this up.”

 

Colin frowned and Benedict leaned over to whisper in his ear, “Just because Anthony won’t insist on you taking a dowry from Miss Featherington does not mean that other men would be so kind,” he said, “You know how this works Colin, calm down.”

 

Colin nodded and turned his attention back to the table.

 


 

A few days later both the Bridgerton and Featherington families were taking a promenade in Hyde Park, their staff setting up picnics as they did so. 

 

“Pen,” Colin said softly, catching up with her as she walked with Eloise and Edwina, “Can we talk?”

 

Penelope smiled and took Colin’s arm as the pair moved slightly ahead of the other two girls, “Is everything OK Colin?” Penelope asked.

 

“I have been trying to find the words to speak to you for weeks,” Colin said, “It has taken me some time to sort out my thoughts in this matter.”

 

Penelope frowned as Colin pulled them to the side of the path, “You are one of my dearest friends, Pen,” he began, “And, I would like to deepen our friendship but I also long to travel.”

 

Penelope felt as though she had stopped breathing as Colin took her hands softly, “I don’t understand,” Penelope said softly, “What are you trying to say?”

 

“I have decided to go on my tour when the season ends,” Colin replied, “But I want to write to you whilst I am away and when I come back, I want to court you Pen; properly. If you would be amenable to that?”

 

Penelope smiled, “I would be,” she confirmed, “You are my dearest friend Colin and I look forward to hearing many tales of your travels.”

 

Colin kissed her hand softly and led her back towards their families. 

 

“What did Colin want?” Eloise demanded as Penelope reached them, “He has been very odd these last few weeks.”

 

“He is going on his tour at the end of the season,” Penelope began, smiling as Eloise waved her hand to hurry along the tale, “But he wants to write to me whilst he is away and when he returns, he wants to court me.”

 

Edwina almost squealed, “Oh how romantic!” she sighed, “Tell me you agreed?”

 

“I did!” Penelope replied, with a small giggle, “He told me that I am his dearest friend.”

 

Eloise frowned slightly, before schooling her features into a smile, “You do realise he is my most stupid brother?” she asked, “But I suppose if he does court you, then you will be my sister truly.”

 

The three young women linked arms and made their way to the Bridgerton tent, talking about various things all the while.

 


 

Anthony pulled Colin to the side of their tent when he returned from speaking with Penelope, “Have you come to your decision brother?” he asked

 

Colin nodded, “I have told her that I am going on my tour but I want to write to her and then court her when I get back,” he replied, “So, I guess I need to start planning a tour.”

 

Anthony grinned, “Like you haven’t got ten different versions of this tour planned out already,” he laughed, “When we get back to the house, I’ll sort the banker’s draft for you and we can see about getting you booked on a ship.”

 

Colin nodded, “I think I’ll speak with Hastings for some ideas too,” he commented, “And I can check on Daph whilst I’m there.”

 

“I think you have made the right decision Colin,” Anthony said, “Just let me know your final itinerary before you leave.”

 

Just as Colin and Anthony were having their conversation, Lady Featherington pulled Penelope to the side in their own tent, “What did Colin Bridgerton want with you?” she asked her youngest daughter

 

“He wanted to tell me that he is going on his tour at the end of the season Mama,” Penelope replied with a brilliant smile, “And that when he comes back, he wants to court me.”

 

“Oh Penelope!” Portia grinned, “I told you that yellow was a happy colour did I not? Oh, I think you shall have a new dress for the Hastings Ball, he will surely want to dance with you before he leaves. A Bridgerton, well done Penelope.”

 

“What is wrong with Mama?” Prudence asked as Penelope sat next to her, “She is very giddy. Is this anything to do with you speaking with Colin Bridgerton?” Philippa soon joined them, her own question clear on her face.

 

Penelope nodded, her smile still in place, “He has made his intentions clear,” she said softly to her sisters, “He will be courting me next season. Mama says I am to have a new dress for the Hastings Ball.”

 

The three sisters all smiled and clasped each other’s hands, “I think I may have a suitor too,” Philippa said quietly, “Mr Albion Finch, we have danced at every ball this season and he has sent flowers. I think he is speaking with Papa soon.”

 

“So I am the only one left out this season,” Prudence sulked, “You will both have to help me next season,” she declared, “I will not be the spinster aunt to your children.”

 

The three girls laughed as Portia looked over indulgently. 

 


 

The Featheringtons returned home in good spirits, Portia feeling very successful; Mr Finch was on the brink of a proposal to Philippa and Colin Bridgerton had declared his intentions to court Penelope, they would surely be married by the end of the next season which left Portia plenty of time to fix Prudence. Three daughters married in two seasons would be quite the accomplishment. 

 

One of the footmen passed Philippa a note as they entered and after looking at the handwriting, she clutched it to her chest and ran up to her room. 

 

“What did you say!” Philippa shouted from further into the house, “What did you say to him?!”

 

“Philippa!” Portia exclaimed as the other three women made their way to Philippa who was standing in the hallway with tears streaming down her face, “What is the matter?”

 

“Mr Finch has written,” she sobbed, “Saying he spoke with Papa and Papa wouldn’t give his blessing for us to marry.”

 

Portia rounded on her husband, who was sat reading the paper as though his eldest daughter’s heart was not breaking in front of him, “I would like to know that too,” she said, “Girls, take Philippa upstairs, I will talk with your Papa and we will get to the bottom of this.”

 

Prudence and Penelope helped their sister up the stairs to her room and all three girls sat together whilst the eldest cried.

 

“Archibald,” Portia said, her tone dangerous, “I know Mr Finch is not the most illustrious man in town but he is a good match for Philippa. Why would you not want her to be married, she would be perfectly happy with him.”

 

“There is no dowry,” Archibald said softly, “And Mr Finch’s father would need her dowry to agree to the match. None of them have dowries.”

 

“What!” Portia gasped, “How could you?! I don’t care that you are the most notorious gambler in town and that our credit is not always extended in certain shops but I held onto the fact that our girls would be safe; that our girls and their five figure dowries would be well matched and well looked after. You have ruined them all!”

 

“I just needed one more win,” Archibald pleaded, “I was at the club the other day and I was on the brink of asking the Bridgertons for a loan to help but Lord Bridgerton is far too shrewd.”

 

“And his brother has just declared his intentions to Penelope,” Portia spat, “You have broken two of your daughter’s hearts now. Well done. I took you for a lot of things Archibald but you have never been a cruel father before.”

 

With her parting shot, Portia stalked out of the drawing room to find her girls.

 


 

Colin made his way over to Hastings House to talk with his brother-in-law about plans for his tour, he was also eager to see Daphne. 

 

It was odd knowing that she did not live in Bridgerton House anymore, for as long as Colin could remember Daphne had been there, next to him, experiencing life at the same time. Things had shifted slightly when Colin left home to attend school but Daphne was a diligent correspondent, keeping him updated with all that was happening with their siblings and the nephew and niece that followed. Now Daphne was a wife and would soon be a mother herself, his other half had sprinted ahead of him in life and Colin found it decidedly odd.

 

“Colin!” Daphne cheered when one of the footmen ushered him into the drawing room, “I have ordered extra biscuits, how are you?”

 

“I should be asking you, Daph,” Colin said, taking a seat next to his sister and turning her to face him, “You do look better than you did,” he said seriously looking directly at her, “Is all well now?”

 

“As well as it can be in the circumstances,” Daphne replied, patting Colin’s hand and turning his attention to the tea that had been brought up, “Honestly Col, I’m fine. Now, to what do I owe the pleasure?”

 

“I wanted to speak with the Duke about my tour,” Colin replied, helping himself to the biscuits provided, “He did offer to provide some assistance and now I have decided to go ...”

 

“You were considering not going?” Daphne asked in shock, “It is all you have spoken about for years, why would you not go? Did Anthony have something to do with it?”

 

“No,” Colin laughed, “I had some things I needed to sort in my head before I committed one way or another,” seeing Daphne’s frown he elaborated, telling her of his conversation with Penelope earlier that day.

 

“Oh Colin,” Daphne sighed, “I have always liked Penelope, it would be lovely to call her my sister.”

 

The two siblings spent a pleasant hour gossiping about their family before Simon returned and he and Colin retired to the study to discuss his tour at length.

 


 

In a shadowy corner of London, not one usually frequented by the Lords and Ladies of Mayfair Baron Featherington stood with two men trying to extend his line of credit in order to place a significant wager on a boxing fight in the hope that it would win back his daughter’s dowries. Producing the deeds to his Mayfair mansion, the Baron managed to succeed in his endeavours and settled into the corner of the boxing gym to watch the fight unfold.

 


 

The four Featherington women were preparing for the Hastings Ball in Portia’s dressing room, “Do you think you will dance with Mr Bridgerton tonight?” Prudence asked Penelope as the maid applied a face mask to both girls, “Or has he left for his tour already?”

 

“He will be at the ball,” Penelope replied, “And he has asked if I would save him space on my dance card.”

 

Prudence squealed, “I’m so excited for you Pellope,” she said, using the nickname the girls had for Penelope when they were all in the nursery, “Mrs Penelope Bridgerton, I think it sounds very proper.”

 

“Only if Papa doesn’t say no to Mr Bridgerton too,” Philippa muttered from her own chaise, “I should be getting ready to be Mrs Finch right now. I still don’t understand why Papa was so cruel.”

 

“Oh Pippa,” Penelope sighed, “Maybe Papa heard something at the club about Mr Finch; the men know things that we don’t. Maybe he was being kind.”

 

“But why wouldn’t he say anything,” Philipa protested, “What could be so bad about Mr Finch?”

 

“Girls,” Portia said before the girls could speculate any further on Archibald’s reasons for denying Mr Finch, “The modiste has sent over our new gowns for tonight. We are going to need you all looking your best tonight.”

 

“Why?” Philippa sulked, “I think I would just like to stay home Mama, Mr Finch would have told everyone now that Papa told him no.”

 

“But I think that says more about Mr Finch than you,” Penelope protested, “For Papa to deny him something must be wrong.”

 

“Girls stop,” Portia stated, her hand coming to rub in between her eyes, “Philippa you are coming tonight and that is final. Now, go, get ready.”

 

The three girls dispersed to their own rooms to continue getting ready for the ball.

 


 

Across Grosvenor Square, in Bridgerton House, similar preparations were being made. “Are you certain you are well enough to attend tonight?” Anthony asked as Kate moved towards her dressing room, “I’m sure Daphne will understand if you stay home.”

 

“Anthony,” Kate sighed, “I’m pregnant, not dying; and this is Daphne’s first ball as Duchess, we need to go and support her. I promise not to over exert myself if that will make you happy.”

 

“You know it will,” Anthony said, giving Kate a soft kiss. 

 

“Do I really have to go,” Eloise complained as she and Edwina made themselves ready for the ball, “I would be perfectly happy staying here.”

 

“But it is Daphne’s first ball as Duchess,” Edwina replied, “And she has agreed to let us come, even though we are not yet out. You must be a little excited to see what it is all like?”

 

“Not at all,” Eloise grumbled, “You know how I feel about this Eddie.”

 

“I would love to go,” Francesca stated from her position on Edwina’s bed, “I really don’t think it is fair that I have to wait another year.”

 

“You could take my place,” Eloise offered, “I’m sure my dress would fit you and who is going to know the difference between two Bridgertons when we haven’t even been presented yet.”

 

“Daphne, the Duke, Anthony,” Francesca replied, “And do you really think Anthony would let me in the carriage when I am supposed to be staying at home, doing my translations and you are the one who is supposed to be going to the ball.”

 

“He might,” Eloise countered, “We all know he likes you better anyway.”

 

“And Hyacinth is the favourite,” Francesca laughed, “No matter Anthony’s feelings or preferences where we are concerned, we are not switching places so you get out of going to this ball. It’s not the same as when we used to switch seats or beds in the nursery to confuse the nannies.”

 

“I wish it was,” Eloise muttered, “I really don’t want to do this.”

 

Francesca rolled her eyes and turned to Edwina, engaging the other girl in a conversation about her own dress and jewellery choices for the evening.

 


 

The Hastings Ball was a success, everyone who attended was in awe of the decorations and the young couple at the centre of it all. 

 

“I think we have been a triumph, wife,” Simon said softly as they led the party in a waltz, “Even Lady Cowper is enraptured.”

 

“I know,” Daphne smiled, with a slight giggle, “I think we have managed this quite well.”

 

“Very well,” Simon countered, “How are you feeling?”

 

“Better,” Daphne replied, “In fact, the best I have felt in some time.”

 

Simon smiled and dipped his head slightly to her ear, “In that case, should we hurry the party out of the house?”

 

Daphne giggled and rolled her eyes at Simon, “Stop it,” she chided, “We will have the house to ourselves soon enough.”

 

As the dance ended, Simon and Daphne moved to the side of the room to stand with Kate and Anthony. “How are you?” Anthony asked as he greeted his sister, “You do look better.”

 

“I’m fine, Anth,” Daphne answered with an eye-roll, “Stop fussing.”

 

“He is a fussy sort,” Kate laughed from Anthony’s side, “Maybe you can go and fuss around Eloise before she offends every man in the room.”

 

Daphne snorted a laugh, “You are going to have so much fun with her next season,” she grinned, “Maybe I’ll go and let her take refuge in the library before she really does cause a scene.”

 


 

Colin smiled as he greeted the Featherington women as they looked around the ballroom, “Can I have the pleasure of  a dance?” he asked Penelope with a winning smile.

 

Penelope smiled in return and placed her small hand in Colin’s own and let him lead her to the floor. “Is everything OK Pen?” Colin asked as they took their positions, “You seem a little quiet tonight?”

 

“Do you know anything about Mr Finch?” Penelope asked, “Philippa thought he would be declaring his intentions but Papa put him off and we don’t understand why.”

 

Colin frowned, “I haven’t heard anything but I can ask Anthony if you would like?” he offered, “He does seem like an amiable sort though, if a little dull.”

 

“Oh I think he is very dull,” Penelope replied, “But he and Philippa seemed to get along rather well and she is upset by the whole thing.”

 

“I’ll see what I can find out,” Colin promised as the dance ended, “And I’ll let you know. Pen,” he said softly, “I’m leaving tomorrow morning, for my tour. I am booked on a boat from St. Catherine’s dock at noon; will you come across to see me off?”

 

Penelope smiled, “I will,” she promised, “And you promise to write?”

 

“I will,” Colin smiled, “And I’ll see what I can find out about Mr Finch for you too.”

 


 

Colin stood at the side of the ballroom with his older brothers and his brother-in-law, “Have you told Miss Featherington that you are leaving in the morning?” Simon asked, as the four men helped themselves to brandy.

 

“I have,” Colin nodded, “Hastings, what do you know of Mr Albion Finch?”

 

Simon frowned, “I don’t think I have met the man,” he replied, “Why? Who is he?”

 

Colin sighed, “It seems that Miss Philippa Featherington was under the impression that he was on the brink of a proposal,” he explained, “But Lord Featherington has put him off. The ladies don’t understand why and Pen asked me to see if there is something about his character that Lord Featherington would have objected to.”

 

“Anthony might know,” Simon commented, beckoning the eldest Bridgerton with a tilt of his head, “What do you know about Albion Finch and why would Featherington reject his suit of one of the girls?”

 

“Finch?” Anthony frowned, “A bit dim, he didn’t bother with university as far as I can tell but heir to a reasonable fortune. The only reason I can think that Featherington would say no, is the dowry; he is drowning in debts. I wouldn’t be too surprised if Featherington has used the dowries to cover some of it.”

 

“I can’t tell them that!” Colin whispered, “I don’t think the ladies will know. Pen thinks that Lord Featherington unearthed some dark secret about Finch and wouldn’t allow Philippa to protect her.”

 

“Then let them continue to think that,” Simon counselled, “It will make things easier eventually, just tell her that you couldn’t find out anything about him tonight and then you’re leaving anyway.”

 


 

Several hours later, carriages started rolling away from Hastings House ferrying their passengers all over Mayfair. The footman opened the door of the Featherington carriage and helped all four ladies down before they made their way into their house.

 

“My Lady,” Mrs Varley stated as the women entered, “These men are here from the Bow Street Runners, it is about his Lordship.”

 

One of the uniformed men removed his hat and turned to Portia, without knowing exactly what was happening the three Featherington girls grasped each other's hands, “Mama,” Prudence asked, a tremor in her voice, “What has happened to Papa?”

 

Portia turned to the girls with sympathy in her eyes, “Girls,” she said quietly, “Come, let’s sit in the parlour; I have news about your Papa.”

 

The three Featherington girls held each other that evening as they cried for their Papa, they all curled on Prudence’s bed and eventually fell asleep as dawn broke.

 


 

At nine am, the Bridgerton family gathered outside of Bridgerton House as Colin fixed the saddle of his horse, “Your trunk has been sent ahead,” Anthony stated as he stood at his brother’s side, “It should be in your cabin when you board. Send word as soon as you reach the continent and send at least one letter a week so we know where you are.”

 

Colin rolled his eyes, “I know,” he sighed, “Can you pass this over to Pen?” he asked Anthony, handing him a letter, “She said she would be here but ...”

 

Anthony nodded, and both brothers turned to look at Featherington House only to see the butler hanging a mourning wreath on the front door, “Oh,” Anthony sighed, “I’ll get this to her in a few weeks,” he promised, “Go on. We’ll see you next spring.”

 

The two brothers embraced before the rest of the family crowded around all wishing Colin good luck on his travels.

 

Penelope watched from her sister’s bedroom window as Colin rode off down the square, heading towards the docks and his tour.

 

That evening Penelope slipped out of her house and into the gardens of Bridgerton House where she knew Eloise would be sat for her nightly smoke on the swing. Eloise smiled sadly as she caught sight of Penelope and opened her arms for the smaller girl who fell into her embrace, sobbing for her lost father.

 

“All will be well eventually,” Eloise soothed, “Trust me, it will take time but all will be well.”

 


 

Two days later, the lords and ladies of Mayfair and their families packed up their London houses and rolled out of town to their country estates ready for the season of hunting, shooting and gaming before returning the following year to take part in the season once again. 

 

Notes:

So there we have it, Cousin Jack will be joining us next season and everyone else is in the right place for where I need them to be.

I made the decision to make Portia and the Featherington sisters not as horrific as they are in canon, Penelope has secured a fairly advantageous match in her first season and so Portia has no reason to believe she will be a spinster forever and whilst she isn't as loving a mother as Violet is in the show, you can tell that everything she does is to try and get her daughters the best husbands she can, I decided to play on that part of her character. The Featheringtons are a very matriarchal family and I chose to make them all strong women who support each other rather than tear each other down.

Next chapter - 1814. Polin happens along with Eloise and Edwina's first season. Overprotective Kate is coming to play!

Chapter 7: Chapter Five - 1814 : Part One

Notes:

Thank you again for all the love. To answer some questions I had on the last chapter, Jack Featherington has arrived and his storyline stays very similar to the storyline in the show. Eloise still meets Theo but the way that whole thing pans out is very, very different in my story than in the show, that’s all I’m going to say now as that particular storyline will play out in the next few chapters.

Also, because I’m not sure if I have mentioned it so far but Lady Whistledown does exist in this universe but I’m playing it more like the book - so the Queen isn’t too interested in her - and it is still Penelope. I just couldn’t get a Whistledown voice right so I’ve decided to just put references to her in there and not show her actual writings.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

1814

 

The year of 1814 started off with celebrations for the Bridgerton family with Mr Miles Thomas Bridgerton making his way into the world one early February morning, the new addition was followed a few months later by Lady Amelia Violet Bassett and the nurseries at both Aubrey Hall and Clyveden became hubs of activity looking after their new charges.

 


 

“Surely if the babies are staying here then it is too much for us to be presented this year,” Eloise argued as the household prepared for their return to London for the start of the season, “I am only thinking of your wife, brother.”

 

“Eloise,” Anthony sighed, “I don’t know how many more times we need to go over this; you are now 18 and you are being presented at Court. There is no getting out of this, please stop trying.”

 

“But surely, a delay of a year ...” Eloise began

 

“Eloise!” Anthony exclaimed, “Stop. Be grateful I did not make you debut at 16 like some girls do. You have been awarded as much time as possible for this, you will be presented, you will attend balls and I hold out hope that someone, somewhere will find your obstinance charming and will propose to you. I am not having this conversation with you again.”

 

Eloise frowned but seeing that Anthony was being firm on the matter, turned and stormed out of the study. 

 

“Frannie, please don’t start,” Anthony sighed, as he caught sight of Francesca hovering in the doorway, “You get your turn next year.”

 

“Oh I know,” Francesca smiled, “I just heard shouting.”

 

“Something that I fear will become far more common,” Anthony sighed, “Have all your things been packed?”

 

“They have,” Francesca smiled, “I just need to decide which music to bring with me; do you think we can buy some more when we are in town?”

 

“Of course we can,” Anthony agreed easily, “And I think Kate has some trips to the modiste in mind to get you prepared for next season.”

 

“I can’t wait,” Francesca grinned, “Daphne made it sound so much fun; could I attend some of the family balls like Eloise and Edwina did last year?” 

 

Anthony nodded and Francesca squealed, rushing over to give him a tight hug, “You’re the best PapaAnt,” she cheered, “See you at dinner!”

 

Anthony shook his head fondly as Francesca bounced out of the room, he knew that he shouldn’t have favourites but if asked he would easily say that Fran was his favourite sister. She didn’t always acknowledge the odd relationship between them, somewhere between brother and father, but when she did it always fell on the father side of the question. 

 

Francesca was six when Edmund died and had said frequently that she had very few memories of the man, all the memories she had of someone performing the function of a father were of Anthony. Whilst only twelve months older than her sister, Eloise had firm memories of Edmund and still, eleven years later, fought Anthony’s role in her life; it did make for a very fraught relationship. 

 

“Frannie seems happy,” Kate commented later that evening as they sat in the parlour after dinner.

 

“I told her we would allow her to attend the family parties this season,” Anthony replied, “And the theatre with us. She is at least looking forward to her season.”

 

“Ah, Eloise did come and complain to me earlier,” Benedict added with a laugh, “Something about you telling her she has no choice but to debut this year.”

 

“She is 18,” Anthony replied, “We can’t delay it again.”

 

“I was 21 when I debuted,” Kate commented, “It isn’t wholly unheard of.”

 

“Your father died when you were 18,” Anthony replied, “Your situation was different. She has no excuse not to do it this year. She is overreacting as usual, when she gets in a ballroom with Eddie and Miss Featherington she will think differently.”

 

“You hope anyway,” Benedict laughed, “At least this season will be entertaining.”

 


 

A few weeks later, Mayfair was once again filled with the bustle and activities that accompanied the Ton back for the season. Anthony stood with his hand extended outside the Bridgerton carriage as he helped his sisters and wife down.

 

Kate looked over at Featherington House when she descended, “I should go and call on Lady Featherington now we are back,” she muttered, “Do you know if the new Lord Featherington has arrived yet?”

 

“I hadn’t heard anything when I was here last,” Anthony replied, “There was some rumour that he was coming from the Americas so he might not have arrived yet.”

 

“I’ll send my card over in the morning,” Kate nodded, “I know he wasn’t your favourite person but Lady Featherington must be so worried about what will happen now.”

 


 

The following morning, Kate sat in the parlour of Featherington House as Lady Featherington called for tea, “It is so kind of you to call Lady Bridgerton,” Portia smiled, “And I must thank you again for the lovely bouquet of flowers and your kind words. It was nice to know our neighbours had not forgotten us in our time of grief.”

 

“Of course Lady Featherington,” Kate smiled, “It was the least we could do. How are you and the girls?”

 

“We are getting by,” Portia replied, “But it is distressing, we still do not know who the new Lord Featherington is or what he will want to do with us when he arrives. He is not a direct relation you see, so he has no connection or residual feeling of obligation to us like a brother or son would do.”

 

Kate nodded, “I remember feeling the same when my own father died,” she confided, “Not knowing if his uncle would care for us or if any husband either myself or my sister would marry would assist our mother. It is not easy.”

 

“It isn’t,” Portia nodded, “And I am trying to shield my ladies from it all; they are so young, it is not their burden. We must all hope that the new Baron is a kindly man.”

 

“Do you not know anything about him?” Kate asked

 

“I knew his father,” Portia nodded, “And he was a cruel, horrid man. I just hope the apple has fallen very far from that particular tree!”

 

Kate laughed slightly and the two women began discussing the upcoming season and potential matches for the girls they were chaperoning that year.

 


 

Before anyone realised it was time for Eloise and Edwina to be presented at Court, Bridgerton House was a flurry of activity getting both girls ready in their white gowns and feather headdresses before they returned to Bridgerton House for the lavish ball which was being held in their honour. 

 

“Don’t worry,” Kate soothed as they sat in the carriage on the way to Court, “Just remember to curtsey correctly and back out of the room and it is done. If their Majesties do not speak to you then you won’t even have to say anything. It will all be over in five minutes.”

 

“Eloise you will go first with Kate,” Anthony said, “Then Kate will leave you with me and the other presented debutantes whilst she goes back and presents Eddie.”

 

“So we won’t go together?” Edwina asked faintly, “I thought we would with Kate presenting us both.”

 

Anthony shook his head, “It is arranged by your family rank,” he explained, “Eloise is the daughter of a Viscount so she will be presented before you I’m afraid. Don’t worry though El, I’m sure there are a few daughters of Earls and Dukes being presented this year so you won’t be first.”

 

“Don’t even joke about that,” Eloise grumbled, “What happens if the Queen speaks to me?”

 

“Then for the love of all that is holy be polite,” Anthony replied, “And do not go on like you usually do.”

 

“Helpful,” Eloise replied with an eye-roll, “So insightful brother.”

 

“Well, I’ve never had a conversation with the Queen because I have never been a debutante. That is what father told me when I was introduced to the King so I thought you would appreciate the same advice.”

 

Eloise smiled slightly, mollified by the knowledge that her father was indirectly giving her advice through Anthony, “When we return home for the ball, can I hide in the library?”

 

“No,” Kate replied, “Or at least, not immediately, you will need to be available for all the young men who will wish to dance with you.”

 

“I am excited for that part,” Edwina added, “I do enjoy dancing; do you think I might find a suitor tonight?”

 

Kate frowned, “I think we shouldn’t expect too much,” she cautioned, “We have an entire season to enjoy after all.”

 


 

A few hours later, the newly presented debutantes returned to Bridgerton House and the ball held in their honour. Kate announced them as they descended the staircase into the ballroom and Edwina was soon inundated with dance requests, Eloise schooled her face into a scowl so that only the bravest members of society dared approach her.

 

“Eloise,” Kate smiled, “Lord Fife was just saying he wishes to dance. You will oblige, won’t you?”

 

Eloise rolled her eyes but knowing her dance card was empty and could easily be seen, she had no choice but to agree. Kate beamed at her and moved away to stand with Anthony at the side of the floor.

 

“Fife?” Anthony questioned as she reached him, “Really?”

 

“Isn’t he a friend of Colin’s from Oxford?” Kate asked with a frown, “I thought they would at least have something in common to start with.”

 

“He is,” Anthony confirmed, “I just can’t imagine Eloise enjoying his company.”

 

“Stranger things have happened,” Kate replied, “And if Colin is still wishing to court Miss Featherington when he returns, one of his friends courting Eloise might make a nice little party.”

 

Anthony rolled his eyes, “You are turning into one of those Mama’s men run away from,” he stated with a laugh, “Who have you got Edwina dancing with?”

 

Kate frowned slightly at her husband, “Lord Mortimor,” she replied, “I understand he is in possession of quite a fortune.”

 

“And is set to lose most of it at the gambling tables,” Anthony replied shortly before softening slightly, “I know you have lists, at least let me look at them before you start setting them both at every eligible man with a title in the room.”

 


 

The following morning the parlour of Bridgerton House was filled with flowers and suitors vying for Edwina’s attention. Kate was trying her best to field the line of gentlemen and push them to entertain both Eloise and Edwina but Eloise’s attitude made this a difficult task. 

 

After a trying morning of calls, the room breathed a sigh of relief when Humboldt announced that Penelope had arrived for tea.

 

“Pen!” Eloise cheered, jumping from her place on the chaise to greet her friend, “How are you?”

 

“Better,” Penelope smiled faintly, “It has been an odd winter but I think things will be better now we are back in town.”

 

“It will be,” Kate nodded, “And, if I may speak from experience, it does get better the more you have to do.”

 

Penelope smiled and soon was drawn into a conversation with Eloise about the trials of the morning. 

 

“Did anyone else know that Colin has added Albania to his ever growing tour?” Anthony announced as he walked into the room, “Should I be worried he is ever coming back?”

 

Penelope giggled slightly, “He said in his last letter to me, Lord Bridgerton,” she said, “That he had met some travelling companions who were returning home via Albania and he is joining them. He will be back only a week later than planned, I think.”

 

“Well I’m glad he had the thought to let at least one of us know what he is up to!” Anthony exclaimed, “How has your morning been?” he asked Kate as he took his own tea.

 

“Well,” Kate replied, “But I think we may need to review my lists sooner than we thought.”

 

Anthony nodded and Eloise rolled her eyes, turning once again to Penelope and their discussion about the latest novel they had been reading, Mansfield Park.

 


 

A few days later, the Featherington women returned from their promenade to find boxes and trunks all over their hall. Portia frowned as she took in the scene, “Varley, what is going on?” she frowned.

 

“The new Lord Featherington is here,” the housekeeper replied, “Upstairs, moving things around.”

 

“Moving things?” Penelope repeated, her eyes wide, “Our things?”

 

“Of course not,” a jovial voice sounded from the stairs, “Well, not your things. I’ve simply taken possession of the Baron’s suite, as I believe is my right.”

 

Penelope blushed, embarrassed at her outburst in front of the new head of their family. 

 

“So, let me see if I can figure this out,” the man continued, “You are Lady Featherington,” he pointed at Portia, “And this must be Prudence, Philippa and Penelope,” he pointed at each girl in turn, “I’m the new Baron, you can call me Cousin Jack.”

 

The three girls dipped into a small curtsey and smiled at their cousin. “It is late,” Portia smiled, “Let the young ladies go and prepare themselves for the event they are attending this evening and we can all get to know each other tomorrow."

 


 

The following morning, Jack found himself seated with his new-found female relations at their breakfast table. “So, is there anything I need to know?” he asked Portia as the girls left to pursue their own amusements for the morning.

 

“Philippa received a proposal last season,” Portia immediately replied, “My late husband had been profligate with our funds and he refused the match as he worries he would not be able to meet her dowry. The man, Mr Finch, is a good match for Philippa; if you could ...”

 

“Establish a relationship and see if the young man is still interested?” Jack confirmed, “Of course. I will have to ask you for an introduction but I am led to understand that these kinds of discussions between gentlemen happen in the club so I am sure we can come to some arrangement.”

 

Portia smiled, “What about the other girls?” Jack asked, “Are they both out?”

 

“They are,” Portia replied, “And Penelope was given promises by Mr Colin Bridgerton last season before he left for his tour. He hasn’t arrived back yet but he has been corresponding with her for his entire trip so I think a proposal will be coming from there shortly.”

 

Jack nodded, “And that is a good match?” he asked, “I’m led to believe he is only a third son.”

 

“But a very wealthy one,” Portia replied, “The Viscount has been married for years, the second son is a complete rake; Colin Bridgerton is a very good match for my Penelope. You’ll see.”

 

Jack nodded, “And Prudence?” he asked, “What of her prospects? Are you expecting all three of them to be married this season?”

 

Portia smiled and raised her cup slightly to toast the idea. Jack nodded, mentally running over his plans for his time in London. 

 


 

Colin returned to England a week later, as Penelope had predicted, and the following day was swept out of Bridgerton House with the rest of the family to join them at Ascot for a day at the races. Edwina had secured an invitation from Lord Lumley and Kate was chaperoning their afternoon with the Dowager Lady Lumley whilst Anthony and Benedict went to the stables to discuss their prospects with the trainer of Anthony’s race horse. Colin took the opportunity of his first event back in London to catch-up with some of his old Oxford friends whilst Eloise pondered the stalls set up by local traders, noticing with glee that a pamphlet stall was one of them and decided to spend most of her pin money there.

 

Penelope found her a few moments later, as she read over the four pamphlets she had purchased.

 

“But look at the letters Pen,” Eloise urged, thrusting a pamphlet in Penelope’s face, “These two are from the same printer and look at this one. I think this will be very informative.”

 

Penelope frowned as Eloise waved another pamphlet in her face, “Commentary on Thomas Spence,” Penelope read, “Eloise! You shouldn’t have this, isn’t he some kind of radical?”

 

“I don’t think so,” Eloise dismissed, “But, anyway, as I was saying this pamphlet must be printed at the same place as this pamphlet on flower arranging.”

 

“And?” Penelope asked, frowning as she struggled to follow Eloise’s thoughts.

 

“And, if I find this interesting, which I do think I will,” Eloise elaborated, “Then I can find more pamphlets just like this one.”

 

“Eloise you cannot!” Penelope protested, “You cannot be thinking of going to a printer’s shop, it is dangerous.”

 

“I think it would be a grand adventure,” Eloise grinned, “Colin cannot be the only explorer in the family.”

 

Penelope sighed and tried to turn Eloise to other topics with no success.

 

“Hello,” Colin smiled as he came up to the two ladies, “Are you enjoying the day Pen?”

 

“Oh Colin,” Eloise sighed, “We don’t wish to hear any more tales of Greece or Verona or is it Prussia now?”

 

Colin rolled his eyes, “I wasn’t speaking to you Eloise,” he retorted, “What are you doing anyway?”

 

“We have just been discussing some pamphlets,” Penelope replied, “Eloise has found some about, what was it again El? Flower arranging and dog grooming?”

 

“Dog grooming?” Colin repeated, “But you don’t like Newton, now you are interested in grooming him?”

 

“I might give that one to Hyacinth,” Eloise stated with an eye-roll, “Now, what do you want?”

 

“Pen, can I escort you back to your party?” Colin asked, smiling as he extended his arm to Penelope, “Your Mama was looking for you.”

 

Penelope smiled and placed her arm on Colin’s, “How is the new Lord Featherington?” he asked as they walked away from Eloise.

 

“He seems interesting,” Penelope replied, “And he doesn’t find Mr Finch as objectionable as Papa did so he has approved Philippa’s match. Did you ever find out what Papa could have discovered?”

 

“I didn’t,” Colin lied smoothly, “I asked Anthony and Hastings and they hadn’t heard anything. The worst thing Anthony could think was that he is a bit dim and hadn’t bothered with university.”

 

Penelope giggled, “Maybe that was it,” she said, “Papa wouldn’t have wanted Philippa with a silly man.”

 

Colin smiled, “Well you don’t have to worry about that,” he joked lightly, “Even if Eloise calls me her most stupid brother.”

 

Penelope giggled, “I don’t think you are stupid,” she said softly, “And I would like to hear more about your tour. You haven’t told me anything about Prussia yet.”

 

After a short walk, Colin and Penelope arrived back with her party, “Lady Featherington,” Colin greeted Portia with a small bow, “Are you enjoying your day?”

 

“Mr Bridgerton,” Portia smiled, “Thank you for returning my Penelope. It is a lovely day, is it not? Have you met our cousin, the new Lord Featherington?”

 

“I haven’t yet had the pleasure,” Colin smiled, turning to Jack, “How are you finding England?”

 

“It is treating me well so far,” Jack smiled, “I believe we should get to know each other Mr Bridgerton, if you are going to be part of the family.”

 

“I think we should,” Colin replied smoothly, “Tell me, what do you favour today? My money is on Neptune.”

 

Prudence turned to Penelope, “Oh! Do you think Mr Bridgerton is going to propose?” she squealed, “How exciting!”

 

“We could have our dresses fitted at the modiste together,” Philippa added, bouncing slightly in excitement, “Mama, wouldn’t that be fun?”

 

“I think we should wait for Mr Bridgerton to actually propose,” she warned, “And I thought you wanted to become Mrs Finch earlier in the season.”

 


 

Anthony smiled as Colin let himself into his study a few days after their day at Ascot, “How was Greece brother?” he asked, looking at his younger brother’s tanned face with a wry smile, “And the rest of the continent? I’m sorry we didn’t get a chance to speak properly before the Danbury Ball.”

 

“Excellent,” Colin smiled, “And it’s fine, I want to speak to you about something anyway.”

 

Anthony frowned and put down the bill he was reading, “About what?” he asked, looking over at Colin in concern, “Is everything alright?”

 

“Perfectly,” Colin grinned, “I wanted to speak to you about how to properly court a woman.”

 

Anthony swallowed his instinct to laugh and stood to pour himself and Colin a glass of whisky, “Is this about Miss Featherington?” Anthony asked, “Are you still set on courting her?”

 

Colin nodded, “I’ve always got on well with her,” he replied, “And I told her that I wanted to court her before I left at the end of last season. I just ... I know I would really get on with her Anth; and well, I don’t know how I go about courting her and letting her know that properly.”

 

“I’m happy for you,” Anthony smiled, “I would send your card in the morning and some flowers and then see about taking her on a promenade. If you don’t want her insufferable Mama to accompany you, I’m sure Kate would be happy to do so. Then just see how things go, but Colin, remember she is a dear friend to your sisters and they will no doubt still wish to be her friend if your courtship does not work out as planned.”

 

Colin nodded, “It’s that how things worked out with you and Kate?” he asked, “I never asked, I just knew that you had met her at a ball and had courted her and then you married. I didn’t bother figuring out how you did it.”

 

Anthony laughed, “From what I recall, you had plenty to do with Ben trying to keep the girls in line about it all,” he snorted, getting them both another whisky, “But yes, that is what happened. Lady Danbury introduced us in her usual way and we had a few dances, we talked and I paid a call. We courted for a number of weeks, practically the whole season, I had to be sure that she would fit,” Anthony paused, “It will be different for you and Miss Featherington, you already know each other and, well ... Kate wasn’t just marrying me, I needed to be sure that she would get on with all of you, that I wouldn’t be bringing someone into the family that would happily neglect you all. You won’t have that concern.”

 

Colin nodded, “I remember it being very odd, that year,” he said after a while, “The girls were terrified and the babies didn’t know what was going on. It all worked out though,” he smiled, “And I’m sure it will for me too.”

 

“I’m sure it will,” Anthony smiled, “Just don’t forget to play nice with the new Lord Featherington too; he has the power to stop everything if he wants to.”

 

“And I’m just a third son,” Colin replied, looking down at the floor, “If some first son comes along, he will make Pen throw me over for him.”

 

“A third son with more money due to him than many first sons in town,” Anthony countered, “Don’t be down on yourself before you’ve started anything. The new Baron doesn’t know anyone in town, be his friend and all will be fine.”

 


 

As Colin and Anthony were talking in the study, Eloise took the opportunity to slip out of the house. She had devoured the pamphlet she had purchased at Ascot several times in the last few days and was desperate to know more. 

 

She had some idea that Anthony would not approve of her new reading material but she believed Anthony to Anthony being far too stuffy for his own good and despite how exacerbated he often was with Eloise, she knew that Anthony was far too indulgent to be truly angry with her for too long.

 

She paid the footman the last of her week’s pin money and instructed him to take her to the printer’s shop on Fleet Street so that she could find out more.

 

Eloise smiled as she found the printer’s shop and stumbled into a radical meeting, this was exactly the type of thing she was looking for to provide her some entertainment during the season. She stood at the back of the room, next to a young man who looked about her age, “Theo Sharpe,” the man nodded, “If you don’t mind me saying Miss, you’re a long way from Mayfair right now.”

 

Eloise smiled and the two began talking, commenting on the topics being discussed by the speakers. She left a few hours later with an arm full of more pamphlets and books that Theo had provided to further her education in the matter, hopeful that she had made a new friend.



Notes:

So, there we are. Edwina and Eloise have been presented at Court and Edwina is entertaining a lot of suitors with both Anthony and Kate vetting them beforehand. Eloise has found Theo and the world of radical Regency politics and Colin is back from his tour and still in love with Penelope.

I’ve chosen to take the ‘radical writings’ mentioned in the show a little more literally for my Eloise storyline. At the time, there was a lot of upheaval in British politics, the Prince Regent was not well liked and was spending far too much money on parties and his vanity projects (Brighton Pavillion anyone!) and at the same time the industrial revolution was well underway and people were moving in vast numbers to cities into very poor conditions only a few miles away from the aristocrats (like the Bridgertons) who spent their lives shopping and partying - it made for very fraught politics and Eloise is now discovering that. Considering it is politics like this that led to events such as Peterloo in Manchester in 1819 and the Cato Street Conspiracy in 1820, it is safe to say that Eloise is treading a dangerous line with her new friend.

The next few chapters will show the consequences of Eloise’s decision and considering that her brother is a member of the House of Lords and very much an aristocrat, I’ll let you all figure out where I’m going with this but it is not good news for all you Theoloise shippers out there. Sorry! 😇

Chapter 8: Chapter Six - 1814 : Part Two

Notes:

Thank you again for all the love you are showing this story ❤️

For all those asking, this is most definitely NOT a Theloise story. All canon pairings will happen eventually in this fic, just not all at the same time or in the same way as they do in canon.

I’ve been really scared to post this one as I’m not sure how much you will all like it - please stick with me, I promise things will get better!

Word of warning, this chapter is very angsty and you might end up hating Anthony a little bit half way through. The main part of this chapter is some of the first scenes that came into my head when this universe started taking shape and I really hope you stick with me through the next few chapters whilst I run this arc to conclusion.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

After his talk with Anthony, Colin set out to the florist to select a bouquet for Penelope. He knew that she enjoyed sunflowers, despite her distaste for the yellow dresses her mother insisted that she wore, and that her favourite flowers were peonies. The florist made up a bouquet of pink peonies tied with a blue ribbon and Colin smiled as he carried the same towards Featherington House. 

 

The butler, Briarly, announced him and he was met in the parlour by a smiling Lady Featherington, Prudence and Philippa.

 

“What beautiful flowers, Mr Bridgerton,” Portia smiled, “Are they for Penelope?”

 

“They are,” Colin replied, “Is she not taking calls this morning?”

 

“She’s upstairs,” Prudence replied, “I’ll go and call her. Should I call for tea as well Mama?”

 

Portia nodded and Prudence left the room to find her sister. “Now, Mr Bridgerton,” Portia smiled, turning to Colin, “You must tell me about your tour? We have been receiving letters from all over the continent all winter, I must hear some of your stories in person.”

 

Colin smiled, “I have been told they are quite boring,” he blushed, “But I loved Greece, the sun, the beaches, the sea it was all so much more than I can explain.”

 

Colin stood as Penelope entered the room and paused near the bouquet he had brought for her, “These are beautiful,” she smiled, “Thank you Colin.”

 

“Mr Bridgerton was just telling me about Greece,” Portia smiled, patting the seat next to her on the chaise, “Please, Mr Bridgerton, continue.”

 

Colin spent a pleasant hour with the Featherington women, talking about his travels to their delight. He left with a promise to escort Penelope on a promenade later that week and a meeting with the new Lord Featherington in Whites later that evening. 

 


 

“How was your morning?” Eloise asked as she and Penelope browsed the shops that afternoon, “Edwina had a room full of suitors again and Kate insisted on me staying to entertain them all too.”

 

“Colin called,” Penelope replied with a smile, “Oh, El, he brought me the most beautiful bouquet of peonies. And he stayed most of the morning telling Mama and I all about his travels. I think he really means to court me properly, he’s meeting Cousin Jack this evening too.”

 

Eloise rolled her eyes, “I’m glad you are happy,” she said evenly, “But Colin really is my most stupid brother. I’m sure you could do better.”

 

“Have you not had any suitors?” Penelope asked, looping her arm through her friends, “I’m sure not all the men attending your house are for Edwina.”

 

“They are and I do not wish for a suitor,” Eloise replied stubbornly, “Surely there is more to life for us than this? You are destined to be far more than my brother’s wife, Pen, do you not want to travel? To learn more?”

 

“But I would be able to do that as someone’s wife,” Penelope replied, “Being married would afford me more freedom than living under my Mama’s rules does. And if you found the right man, you would be afforded the same.”

 

“I think I have more freedom than you anyway,” Eloise replied absently, “Anthony really does let me read whatever I like and he never tries to stop me just because I am a girl. The only thing he has been very harsh about is this whole presentation business this season, and he isn’t stopping Kate trying to make me dance with every man she sees.”

 

Penelope rolled her eyes, “But you might meet someone you really like, Eloise,” she protested again, “And the balls are not as bad as you make out.”

 

Eloise grumbled but dropped the topic as the girls turned into Grosvenor Square, “Oh!” Eloise suddenly exclaimed, “I forgot to pick up a new quill! I’ll run back for it, you go home and I’ll see you at the Fife ball tonight?”

 

Penelope frowned, “I don’t mind coming back to the stall with you,” she offered, turning as she did so.

 

“No, no,” Eloise protested, “You know how your Mama gets if we are late shopping. Go on, I’ll see you later tonight.”

 

Penelope frowned but continued walking back towards her house with her maid following as Eloise somehow managed to slip past her own maid and escaped the market-place and finding her way back to Fleet Street and the political meeting she wanted to attend.

 


 

Eloise managed to keep her subterfuge for the first six weeks of the season, Bridgerton House was always full of activity as Kate and Edwina discussed her suitors and Colin spent his time courting Penelope and speaking with Anthony about the estate due to him on his marriage. Benedict was rarely seen as he spent more and more time with his artist friends, enjoying the debauched and rakish lifestyle of a bohemian, much to Anthony’s dismay. Eloise found it easy to slip out of the house and make her way to Fleet Street and the radical meetings she was coming to enjoy very much. 

 

She was intrigued by Theo, he was nothing like the gentlemen Kate kept insisting that she danced with or the gentlemen who paid calls on Edwina. He was a little rougher than any other man she knew but as fiercely intelligent as her brothers who had all benefited from a university education, they had been corresponding for weeks and Eloise devoured every pamphlet she could get her hands on regarding the reforms the group spoke of so that she could discuss the same with Theo. 

 

The pamphlets and letters she exchanged with Theo were some of her most treasured possessions and she kept them in the lacquered wooden box she had inherited from her mother which lived on her desk. She had taken to slipping a pamphlet into her copy of Mansfield Park so that she could read them in front of her family, even if Benedict kept laughing at the number of times she had read the novel.

 

She was so used to her deception that she forgot to remove the pamphlet from her novel when she left the book in the parlour one evening whilst she attended an event with Colin, Benedict and Edwina.

 

Anthony was sitting in the parlour listening to Francesca practise the pianoforte, Hyacinth was sitting on a chair next to Anthony reading a book that had been discarded by Eloise earlier that day and Gregory was sitting with Kate whilst she helped him with a French translation. Anthony was enjoying the relative peace of his three youngest siblings and surrogate children before the rest of the family returned home.

 

“PapaAnt,” Hyacinth asked suddenly, “What does this mean?” she passed Anthony the pamphlet she had found in Eloise’s book, her finger pointing at the paragraph she was struggling with. 

 

Anthony took the pamphlet and frowned, “Where did you find this?” he asked sharply

 

“It’s Eloise’s, she had it slipped in the middle of her novel,” Hyacinth replied, “She left it here before she went out for the evening, she has been reading the book for days and I wanted to see what was so fascinating,” seeing Anthony’s furious face, Hyacinth’s lip wobbled, “I only wanted to read the novel,” she said softly, “I didn’t know that was there.”

 

“I know,” Anthony soothed, “This pamphlet, it is not something that you should be concerning yourself with,” he continued, “Go on upstairs, all of you, I need to speak with Kate.”

 

Kate frowned but ushered her three young in-laws out of the room, “What on earth has gotten into you?” she asked and gasped when Anthony showed her the pamphlet that Eloise had been reading, “How did she get this?!”

 

“I have no idea,” Anthony said through gritted teeth, “But I will find out. What else has she been reading?”

 

“I’ll go check her room,” Kate offered, “She will not be due back from the musicale for a few hours so we have time.”

 

Kate wordlessly handed Anthony a stack of letters and pamphlets that she had found in Eloise’s writing desk and her favoured wooden box, “She hadn’t tried to hide them,” Kate said softly, “Anthony, what should we do?”

 

Anthony read the letters that his sister had been exchanging with Theo, “This could be seen as treasonous,” he said faintly, “She could ruin us all with this; how have we missed this?” 

 

Kate stood by the doorway of Anthony’s study as he read the letters, her hands were shaking, “Edwina is with her,” she said softly, “Oh! I’m going to check Edwina’s things. Anthony, what are we going to do?!”

 

“Leave it with me,” Anthony stated, his eyes betraying his fury, “I’ll deal with her when she gets back. Tell Humboldt to send in her maid.”

 


 

Two hours later, Eloise returned home with Edwina and Colin. Anthony sent Edwina and Colin upstairs and requested that Eloise join him in his study. Edwina smiled and continued upstairs, talking to Kate about her evening whilst Colin rolled his eyes and entered the drawing room to get a drink.

 

Eloise smiled brightly and sat herself in the chair opposite Anthony’s desk, “Do you have anything you wish to tell me, Eloise?” Anthony said seriously, looking his sister directly in the eye.

 

“The Smythe-Smith Musicale was as dreadful as you said it would be brother,” Eloise joked, “Why, do you wish you had attended?”

 

“That is not what I meant,” Anthony replied before throwing a letter onto Eloise’s lap, “I had an interesting read earlier, and a very interesting conversation with your maid.”

 

Eloise paled, “It isn’t what you think,” she started

 

“You don’t know what I think,” Anthony replied, “But what I know is that you are so close to ruin Eloise! What has possessed you!” 

 

“Anthony!” Eloise protested

 

“No!” Anthony raged, “It is bad enough that you are entertaining these dangerous ideas but you leave them lying around for your younger siblings to find! And not only that but you are carrying on some kind of affair with this ... this ... degenerate printer. Give me one good reason why I shouldn’t drag you down to the stables and horsewhip you right this instant!”

 

“Because you are not my Father!” Eloise raged back.

 

Anthony saw red and pulled Eloise from her chair, shaking her by her arm, “I am the closest thing you have had since you were seven years old Eloise!” he spat back, “Get out of my sight! Go upstairs and we will discuss this tomorrow, you will not be going anywhere for the next few days at the very least.”

 

Eloise shrugged off Anthony’s arm and stormed out of the room, pushing past Kate who hovered in the hallway.

 

Anthony sank into his chair and Kate entered the room, dropping to her knees at his side, “I would have done it,” he whispered brokenly, “I have never hit any of them, not even when they were torturing each other as children but I could have easily dragged her down to the stables. What kind of man does that make me? She’s a child!” 

 

“Anthony Bridgerton,” Kate said softly but firmly, “You have been the best father to these children since you were no more than a child yourself, she has pushed you too far. Let’s leave her to stew in her room tonight and discuss things when we are all more calm tomorrow.”

 

“I need to speak with Ben and Colin,” Anthony stated, “We need to contain this somehow.”

 

“I know,” Kate replied, “But you can’t fix everything tonight. Come, the children have sent a letter from the country, we can go into the parlour and I’ll read it to you.”

 

Just as the couple stood, Eloise pushed back into the room, dressed only in her nightgown, Colin rushing behind her trying to pull her back, “Where are all my things?” Eloise demanded, “My books and papers, what have you done with them!”

 

“I am keeping them for now,” Anthony replied, his eyes flashing in warning, “Do you really think that I will let you simply keep all your papers with what we have discovered tonight? Go upstairs Eloise. I am warning you.”

 

“Oh what exactly are you going to do brother?” Eloise taunted him, ignoring Colin who was now pulling on her arm to try and diffuse the situation, “Should I go fetch the whip myself?”

 

Colin gasped and looked at Kate, his eyes wide. Kate simply shook her head, indicating that they would discuss matters later.

 

Anthony’s fine grasp on his temper finally snapped in the face of Eloise’s taunts and he pulled her from Colin’s grasp.

 

“Anthony!” Kate gasped before Colin grabbed her hand and led his sister-in-law out of the room.

 

Anthony dragged Eloise out of the room and pulled her upstairs before slamming her bedroom door shut and locking it himself, leaving her in there whilst she raged.

 


 

“What on earth has happened?” Colin demanded as Anthony returned to the parlour, “I know Eloise has been exceptionally wilful this season but what was that?!”

 

Anthony dropped the incriminating letters on Colin’s lap before helping himself to a very large brandy, “Tell me you had no idea,” he said softly, “Tell me that she has been running around behind all our backs and that you haven’t been helping her.”

 

“Why would I help her do this!” Colin retorted, “I have hidden her from Kate at a few balls when she doesn’t wish to dance and I have kept her talking with Penelope when I know she would rather run but she has not left my sight, I’ve just kept her out of yours.”

 

Anthony nodded and let out a sigh, “I will need to ask Benedict the same question,” he confirmed, “But she cannot go out alone again. I’ve fired her maid, she has been getting out somehow.”

 

“How far has this gone?” Colin asked quietly, “Has she admitted anything?”

 

“We don’t know,” Kate replied, “The letters I found go back weeks but other than that...”

 

“Good evening family!” Benedict greeted with a grin as he entered the parlour before frowning when he noticed the tension in the room, “What’s wrong? Is it the children?”

 

Colin handed Benedict the letters he was still reading and Anthony passed him a drink, “What is this,” Benedict said faintly, “Is this a joke?”

 

“Unfortunately not,” Anthony replied, “Did you know? Have you been helping her do this?”

 

“Do you really think I would!” Benedict demanded, “Do you honestly think that I would take our sister to this part of town and help her ruin herself!”

 

“So how has she been getting there?” Anthony pressed, “This can not have all been happening when she is supposed to have been shopping.”

 

“I have sneaked her out of a few balls,” Benedict admitted, “And put her in our carriage alone whilst I have gone on elsewhere. But I put her in our carriage with our staff and gave them direct instructions to take her straight home.”

 

“So, it looks as though I need to question the footmen,” Anthony concluded, “Her maid admitted that she has turned the other way when Eloise has been running off to these people.”

 

Benedict sank against the cushions with an audible sigh, “What has Eloise said?” he asked.

 

“She hasn’t admitted anything so we have no idea how far her ruin goes,” Anthony sighed, “The only way I can think of stopping this is to lock her in her room for a month, at the very least, and screen all her correspondence.”

 

“We could put out that she has caught some kind of fever,” Benedict offered, “Send the others back to Aubrey Hall and limit ourselves to only the essential functions. I’m assuming that if she bleeds on time we will let her back out of her room?”

 

Anthony nodded, “It’s the only way,” he repeated, “This cannot get out, we will all suffer if it does.”

 

The two brothers nodded, “I need to send a note,” Colin announced, “I was going to call on Penelope in the morning but if we are saying fever is in the house I cannot be seen escorting her around the Row.”

 

“There’s no need for  you to put that on hold,” Anthony sighed, “I’m sure we can think of something else if necessary.”

 


 

A few days later Penelope skipped up the steps to Bridgerton House, it was her usual Wednesday date with Eloise when they strolled through the shops and caught each other up on their gossip. 

 

“Good morning,” she greeted Humboldt, “Is Miss Eloise ready?”

 

Humboldt gestured for Penelope to enter the hallway and disappeared, the next thing Penelope knew Anthony was coming out of his study and striding towards her.

 

“Lord Bridgerton,” she smiled, dropping into a small curtsey, “Is Eloise ready? We have a standing appointment with the modiste.”

 

Anthony  bowed his head slightly, “Eloise is unwell,” he said shortly, “Humboldt really shouldn’t have let you in; there is fever in the house Miss Featherington, let me walk you back to your own house.”

 

“Oh!” Penelope gasped, “Thank you Lord Bridgerton, please pass my best wishes onto Eloise for her speedy recovery.”

 

Later that afternoon Humboldt entered Anthony’s study, “A letter for Miss Eloise my Lord,” he said, handing Anthony the letter.

 

Dear Eloise

 

I hope that you are well, your brother, Lord Bridgerton, informed me that there is fever in your house and you are currently bedridden; I did wonder why you were not at the Cowper Ball but this explains it! Part of me wishes I also had a fever so I could have avoided Miss Cressida and her gaggle, I do not know what I have done to that woman but she seems to hate me. 

 

In other news, I know you do not like to hear of it, but Colin has escorted me on a promenade again this week! Eloise, you would tell me if he was also courting others, wouldn’t you? You know how I feel about him and I keep letting myself believe that he also feels the same; he sent the most lovely bouquet for me and one for my Mama last week. Mama says this means he is serious but I’m not so sure. 

 

I’ve enclosed the latest copy of Whistledown as I’m not sure if you will have been able to send out for it. I can’t wait to discuss it all with you again in person!

 

I hope you are well and back with us soon.

 

Love

 

Pen. 

 

“Nothing but the ramblings of a giddy girl,” Kate sighed as she read the letter Penelope sent to Eloise, “I don’t suppose Miss Featherington is expecting a response but we could give this to Eloise; I can’t imagine there is any code in this.”

 

“We don’t know though,” Anthony replied, “And I clearly need to talk to Colin about making his intentions clear.”

 

“That is a separate issue,” Kate counselled, “And Penelope isn’t the most confident of girls, it’s not unusual that she is second guessing things. Anthony, if you really think they have made a code from gossip about Cressida Cowper and Colin’s courtship then keep this letter to yourself but I honestly think this is just one girl writing to her sick friend to keep her updated.”

 

Anthony sighed, “I know,” he replied, “But I just know she’s had some kind of help outside of the servants, she has to have done.”

 

“But until she wants to talk to us there is nothing we can do,” Kate said softly, “She is locked in her room with the windows nailed shut, she isn’t leaving this house again without your permission or knowledge; she is as safe as she can be right now.”

 


 

Daphne closed her eyes and leaned on Simon’s shoulder as their carriage trundled along the roads between Tonbridge and London, they had spent the night in the same inn they always stopped at between London and Hastings before continuing their journey back to Hastings House.

 

Simon wrapped his arm around her and dropped a kiss to the top of her head, “How are you?” he asked softly, “The journey isn’t too much?”

 

“Do you think Amelia will be fine at Clyveden?” Daphne asked in reply, “The nursemaids will look after her?”

 

“She will be fine,” Simon soothed, “And if the nursemaids value their lives she will be fine. Jeffries will ensure it, he has promised.”

 

“I do wish the new housekeeper had started before we left,” Daphne sighed, “I think I would feel more at peace if I knew her.”

 

“Mrs Colson was wrong to leave us so suddenly like that,” Simon agreed, “But the new housekeeper couldn’t get to us before now. And we have to be in London for Queen Charlotte’s Ball; Jeffries will come to London when she is settled and give us a full report.”

 

“I know,” Daphne nodded, her eyes drooping as the carriage lulled her to sleep, “I just miss Amelia, that’s all.”

 

“Me too,” Simon sighed, “But this journey would have been too much for her; she is only three months old. Let her enjoy the country and we will be back with her before you know it.”

 


 

The following morning, Simon and Daphne paid a visit to Bridgerton House to catch-up with the family and receive the latest gossip from the season that hadn’t found its way into Lady Whistledown’s pamphlets. Daphne stopped as she entered the house, hearing Eloise’s cries for Anthony from upstairs as soon as she crossed the threshold.

 

“What is going on?” she asked as she entered the parlour, “Is that Eloise? Is she in some kind of delirium?”

 

“If only it were that simple,” Anthony replied, “I don’t think I have the words to explain what she has done.”

 

“I swear Anthony, if you don’t shut her up soon then I will,” Colin fumed as he entered the parlour, “She’s being ridiculous about the whole thing! I’m going to the club, at least I will get some sleep there!”

 

“Will one of you explain!” Daphne demanded, staring at her older brothers as she used to when they were all still children.

 

Anthony wordlessly handed her a copy of the letter he had shown Benedict and Colin, “That isn’t the worst of them,” he said, “It’s been going on for weeks, Kate found letters going back to the start of the season.”

 

Daphne brought her hand to her mouth, “What possessed her?” she gasped, “Has she said anything?”

 

“Nothing apart from what you can currently hear,” Anthony replied, “I’ve had her locked in her room since Monday evening and she’s not stopped.”

 

“Can I try talking to her?” Daphne asked, “I haven’t been here, she might actually talk to me.”

 

“That’s not my decision,” Anthony stated, “If Hastings is happy for you to get yourself mixed up in this then go on up, see if you can talk some sense into her thick head.”

 

Simon frowned as he read the letter before nodding to Daphne that she could go and attend her sister. The two men then left the parlour and made their way to Anthony’s study.

 


 

“Eloise,” Daphne called, knocking on the door, “Anthony has said that I can come in, are you near the door?”

 

“I am honoured,” Eloise rolled her eyes as Daphne entered, “The Duchess of Hastings has come to visit her poor imprisoned sister. Did he tell you that he keeps threatening to horse whip me?”

 

“He has,” Daphne replied, taking a seat on the chair, “And do you understand why he is doing so?”

 

“It’s not his business!” Eloise raged, “He is not my parent, he is my brother! It is none of his business how I conduct myself!”

 

“Eloise!” Daphne scolded, “Anthony is the head of the family, everything you do is his business. You know that! Now, sit and tell me what has been happening?”

 

“I didn’t mean for it to get this far,” Eloise admitted as she leaned into Daphne’s legs, “I was just interested in some of the things they were saying and, well, Theo seemed nice.”

 

“But how did you end up there in the first place?” Daphne pressed, “I just can not understand how you came across these people.”

 

“I found a pamphlet,” Eloise admitted, “At the races, I thought it seemed interesting and after I read it, I found details of the publisher so I went there.”

 

“Eloise!” Daphne gasped, “Anything could have happened to you in that part of London, it is not safe!”

 

“But I was fine!” Eloise protested, “And I stumbled on a meeting, I liked some of the things they were saying about votes and reform and I stayed. Theo started writing to me soon after that,” she admitted quietly, “We have only corresponded, we haven’t even kissed or anything like that but Anthony seems determined to lock me away so he won’t believe me.”

 

“Eloise,” Daphne sighed, “I don’t know what is worse, you potentially ruining yourself with a printer’s boy or the fact that you have been attending treasonous meetings! Do you understand what would have happened if you had been discovered?”

 

“Could it be worse than this?” Eloise scoffed.

 

“Yes!” Daphne insisted, “They would have thrown you in prison, an actual prison, not just your room and they really would have whipped you. Those meetings, those people are dangerous Eloise; especially for people like us! Promise me that it is all over. Promise on Mama and Papa’s graves that you will not go there and you will not seek out these people ever again!”

 

Eloise nodded her promise through her tears as she sobbed into Daphne’s skirts, her eldest sister’s hand running over her head to sooth her as she cried.

 


 

“What the hell has she gotten herself mixed up in?” Simon asked as he and Anthony nursed brandies in the study, “And how the hell has she managed it?”

 

“I honestly don’t know,” Anthony replied, “I nearly hit her,” he said quietly after a while, “I was so angry that I could have easily dragged her down to the stables and lashed her. I’ve never done anything like that before.”

 

“They’ve never done anything like this before!” Simon replied, “I’m not going to castigate you for that Bridgerton! From what you have shown me she deserves it and more. What are you going to do, if she is with child?”

 

“I have no idea,” Anthony sighed, “I can’t see having any other choice than to send her to some long neglected estate somewhere. But I can’t imagine actually putting her in the carriage and doing it.”

 

“You’ll have to,” Simon warned, “If this gets out or if she is with child you can’t risk the other girls like that. Not to mention your own children, people have lost their heads for less.” 

 

“I know I’ll have to do it,” Anthony bit back, “But it doesn’t make it any less difficult.”

 

“She isn’t going to be with child,” Daphne announced as she entered the study, “The relationship, or whatever you want to call it with the printer’s boy, didn’t move past letters and few longing looks. She has just sworn to me that they have not had relations, that they have not even kissed. She was enamoured by the subject matter and found it all very interesting.”

 

“I’m not sure that’s any better,” Simon commented as he wrapped his arm around her waist pulling her to sit on his lap, “How do you know she’s not just saying that to get you to talk Anthony into releasing her.”

 

“I made her swear,” Daphne repeated, “I made her swear on Mama and Papa’s graves.”

 

Anthony closed his eyes, “Did she tell you how she came across these people?” he asked eventually.

 

“She said that she picked up a pamphlet at the races. She was intrigued by the contents of the pamphlet and so she took herself off to the printer’s shop to find out more.” 

 

“I knew I should have had that boy arrested,” Anthony muttered darkly, “I found out which of the footmen took her there. She paid him her pin money to do it.”

 

“How has she been managing to disappear so often though?” Daphne asked, “She is always with someone, how have we not noticed her absences?”

 

“She has been getting Ben to sneak her out of balls early,” Anthony admitted, “He has owned up to putting her in one of our carriages, most of the time alone, with the strict instruction to come home. Clearly, she and the footman worked around that. And her maid admitted to looking the other way when she would sneak off from shopping to attend these things.”

 

"There is something that we could do," Simon said after the three had sat silently for a little while, "Daphne, go through the pile and find the pamphlet that started all this."

 

Daphne frowned but stood and moved to the corner of the desk quickly filing through the papers until she came across the offending pamphlet. 

 

Simon quickly read over it, "This is the least offensive of the lot, which is probably why it was distributed publicly. Take this to a magistrate; say that you have found it amongst your sister's possessions, emphasise her youth and innocence, you have chastised her for having it in her possession but you are concerned about what this print shop is putting out. The runners or soldiers will go in and the boy is arrested; depending on his involvement he will either be executed or transported but either way he will not bother Eloise again."

 

"And burn the rest of it," Daphne added, "Maybe this fever that Eloise has is stronger than first thought and she has to leave town. Send her back to Aubrey Hall, let her know this isn't to be tolerated. Maybe let her write to Edwina and Penelope but get the staff to send it here first, that way you get to see everything she is sending out."

 

"It would work," Simon nodded, "An upstanding member of society finds something scandalous when packing up his sister's papers when sending her to convalesce in the country and is shocked. Asks a few questions and finds out that she found this on a stall at Ascot. Said upstanding member of society is now very concerned about other young women and the dangerous things this print shop is putting out."

 

"And if it doesn't work?" Anthony asked, "If the magistrate doesn't take the bait?"

 

"Then you look like a concerned, if slightly overprotective, older brother. You come out of this fine and your house still stands. But, I agree with my wife, Eloise leaves London this week. And if those hysterics continue then take her in hand, no one will disagree with you if you did take the whip to her."

 

"Our parents would never..."

 

“That’s a lie and you know it Anth,” Daphne countered, “Papa took the whip to both Ben and Colin when they did far less than this and you know he did. Not to mention Mama’s behaviour before she died. Eloise has been pushing your boundaries for years and you have let her do it out of some stupid misplaced guilt.”

 

“That’s not ...” Anthony started to argue.

 

“It is,” Daphne finished, “She would never have dared do this if Mama and Papa were still here. She has always been wilful Anth and these people have encouraged it. She needs to know that she can’t act like this, she will never find a husband if she continues and then what will you do?”

 


 

The following morning Anthony and Eloise sat in their carriage as it returned to Aubrey Hall. Eloise was sulking, slumped against the seat as Anthony read the paper.

 

“Can I read that when you are done?” she asked, “Or is your plan to keep me as ignorant as the rest of the empty-headed debutantes in Mayfair?”

 

“You can read the paper El,” Anthony sighed, passing it over to her, “And I’m not trying to keep you ignorant. Just safe.”

 

Eloise rolled her eyes but accepted the paper without further comment, using it to ignore her brother for the rest of the carriage ride.

 

Anthony left her in the parlour at Aubrey Hall as he spoke with the staff, she was curled on her favourite chair when he re-entered the room, “I’ve told the staff that you have been suffering with a fever and that is why you are here,” he said, taking his own seat, “They have been told to leave you alone to give you time to recover. The nursemaids may ask you to stay away from the nursery for a few days but you have the run of the place.”

 

“Keeping me from corrupting your children brother?” Eloise said sarcastically.

 

“Not at all,” Anthony replied, evenly, “But I have just told you that the staff believe you have a fever; the nursemaids will want to keep you from the children to prevent them becoming sick. All I ask is that you play along with the ruse.”

 

“Fine,” Eloise spat, “I accept my banishment with good grace. You can return to London now.”

 

“I did think that we could have tea together,” Anthony stated, “And talk, like we used to when you had finished reading the paper.”

 

Eloise stared at him, “You expect me to talk to you like I used to after how you have treated me this last week?” she asked incredulously, “Like nothing has occurred at all.”

 

“Eloise,” Anthony sighed, “I have done everything this week to protect you. I only hope that eventually you will see that.”

 

Eloise scoffed, “Punish me more like,” she muttered.

 

Anthony stood and made to leave the room, “Eloise, everything I do is always to protect you all. I’ll go and have tea with the children but I’ll look in before I leave.” He paused behind her chair, his hand hovering over her head as he stopped himself running his hand along her hair as he did when she was a child, “I love you, El, just remember that. Please.”

 

Eloise waited until she heard Anthony's carriage pulling away from the house before she buried her face in her knees and cried, Anthony's soft and earnest words echoing in her head as she did so.



Notes:

🙈 *runs away and hides* Please don't hate me!!

One thing I didn't like about the show is that they all kind of ignored the fact that Eloise had been caught going to 'radical meetings'. I know Shondaland Regency London and actual Regency London are two very different things but in reality Anthony could have tried to have Eloise committed to an asylum or completely banished for nearly bringing ruin on the family. The French Revolution was still within living memory at the time and the French King in exile had only just left London to return to France, the Napoleonic wars were still ongoing and anything even a little bit revolutionary would terrify aristocrats like Anthony and Simon. I promise things between Anthony and Eloise get better before the end of 1814 but things do not get better for Theo 😬

Chapter 9: Chapter Seven - 1814 : Part Three

Notes:

Thank you so much for all your comments on the last chapter. I'm glad you've all stuck with me after that! ❤️

There's a few flashbacks in this one which I hope help to start explaining the different relationships between the siblings, particularly Anthony and Eloise, and how the deaths of their parents affected their personalities and how they deal with each other now.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Penelope stood by the wall of the ballroom at the Queen Charlotte Ball, this was the event of the season and everyone was in attendance. Eloise was now back in the country, still recovering from the fever that she had been suffering with for the last week and so Penelope occupied their usual spot alone. 

 

“Oh there you are,” Cressida Cowper simpered from Penelope’s side, “All alone tonight? Well, I suppose even Colin Bridgerton’s sympathies only extend so far.”

 

Penelope rolled her eyes slightly before turning to face Cressida, “I do not know what you are talking about,” she replied, “Mr Bridgerton was just bringing me a glass of lemonade, here he is now.”

 

Cressida smiled and batted her fan as Colin approached with two glasses of lemonade, “Miss Cowper,” he greeted, before passing one of the glasses to Penelope, “Can I claim a dance whilst I’m here Pen?” he asked, taking her dance card in his hand.

 

“I would like to dance,” Cressida smiled, waving her dance card towards Colin, “Perhaps ...”

 

“The waltz,” Colin smiled as he placed his name on Penelope’s card, “And a country dance?”

 

Penelope smiled and flushed slightly, two dances with the same man was inviting gossip. It was tantamount to Colin declaring his intentions in the middle of the ballroom. 

 

“Two dances!” Cressida exclaimed, “Really, Mr Bridgerton?”

 

“Of course,” Colin replied, still holding Penelope’s hand, “Why wouldn’t I have two dances with the woman I am courting?”

 

Cressida snorted a laugh, “Well, thank you for the entertaining joke Mr Bridgerton,” she simpered, “I’m sure I will enjoy the show!”

 

“I can’t stand that woman,” Colin breathed as Cressida walked away, “Are you alright Pen?”

 

“I am now,” Penelope replied, “You do realise that you have declared your intentions now and everyone will know?”

 

“I thought I had done so last season,” Colin replied easily, “When I told you I was coming back to court you this year. I wasn’t joking Pen, I don’t care that the rest of town might be gossiping about this, I’m serious.”

 

Penelope blushed but smiled brightly at Colin, “I am glad,” she smiled, “Now, have you seen Lord Goring’s waistcoat? I think he has been taking fashion tips from my Mama.”

 

Colin snorted a laugh as he and Penelope spent their time spotting people in the ballroom and commenting on their fashion choices.

 


 

Portia stood off to the side of the ballroom with some of the other mothers as Colin and Penelope laughed through their dance. 

 

"Are you expecting a proposal soon?" Lady Goring asked, "Bridgerton Number 3 seems very taken with your youngest."

 

"He has been most diligent in courting her since he returned from the continent," Portia replied, "It wouldn't surprise me if I manage to get another of my ladies married off by the end of the season."

 

"My Cressida has always been quite taken by that particular Mr Bridgerton," Lady Cowper sighed, "It is such a shame she has missed out. I was always certain she would manage to land a Bridgerton boy. How did your little Penelope manage it?"

 

"There is always the second one," Lady Goring commented, "He is still unattached."

 

Lady Cowper rolled her eyes, "Penelope was his friend," Portia replied, realising that the women were waiting on her answer, "They have known each other for a long time, things developed quite naturally. And my Penelope has always been herself, unlike some others I can mention." 

 

With her parting shot, Portia moved away from the women towards Kate who was also watching the young couple's dance.

 

"Anthony has taken the family rings from the bank," Kate said softly as they both followed the dance with their eyes, "He is expecting a conversation with Colin very soon."

 

Portia's eyes gleamed, "I won't say anything," she promised, "I don't want to get Penelope's hopes up for nothing, not just yet."

 

“But just imagine her hair and his eyes,” Portia sighed, “I would have beautiful grandchildren from them.”

 

Kate smiled and the two women toasted their glasses slightly in triumph. 

 


 

As things at Bridgerton House started to calm down following the discovery of Eloise’s adventures, Edwina started to receive suitors again. She found herself bored with the line of heirs to peerages that tried to woo her with bad recitals of Byron’s poetry and Shakespearean sonnets, she had been talking to a very interesting young man at a few balls but he had not yet paid a call and Edwina found herself wanting him to call so that she could spend more time in his company. 

 

“Kate,” Edwina began as the last of the day’s suitors finally left, “Would you or Anthony be angry if I didn’t marry someone who is in line for a title?”

 

Kate frowned, “What do you mean Eddie?” she asked, “We just want you to be happy and properly secured."

 

"I have been talking with Mr Bagwell at a number of balls," Edwina admitted, "He is the younger son of a Baron and a scholar. He is most interesting Kate."

 

"Why has he not come calling if you have been talking so much?" Kate asked, "I have never even seen his card."

 

"I wasn't sure if you would allow him admittance," Edwina admitted softly, "Every man you have introduced me to is either already a Lord or will become one. I thought you only wanted me to marry someone with a title."

 

"Oh Eddie," Kate sighed, dropping into the seat next to Edwina and wrapping her arm around the younger woman's shoulders, "I have been introducing you to those men because I knew that they would keep you in the way Anthony has ensured you are used to. Life can be a lot more precarious for second sons and I didn't want to risk your happiness. But, you clearly like this man; tell me more about him and I will ask Anthony to provide him with an invitation."

 


 

“What do you know about Mr Nicholas Bagwell?” Kate asked as she and Anthony were getting ready for the evening.

 

“Bagwell?” Anthony frowned, “Lord Astley’s son?”

 

“I think so,” Kate replied, “He is some kind of scholar, a second son.”

 

“Why?” Anthony asked as he stood behind her helping her with her necklace

 

“It appears that Edwina has become quite taken with him,” Kate replied, taking her gloves from the maid, “They have been having many conversations in ballrooms but he is yet to pay a call.”

 

Anthony nodded, “And, do you want him to pay a call?” he asked, “Or do you want me to find something to put Eddie off him?”

 

“I’m not sure,” Kate replied, after a short pause, “I think I want to meet the man before I decide if he is good enough for Eddie.”

 

“I’ll see what I can do,” Anthony promised, “But I do  think Edwina would suit being a scholar’s wife.”

 


 

“It definitely does sound interesting,” Colin commented as he and Lord Featherington left the study at Featherington House, “Let me think on it, I’m not one to start throwing money around if I haven’t done any thinking.”

 

“A smart move,” Jack smiled, “But think seriously, the money in these mines would stay in the family if you did come in as we discussed.”

 

“It does make it more appealing,” Colin agreed, “And it would be nice for whatever children Penelope and I do have will be provided for.”

 

“Like I said,” Jack smiled as Colin left the house, “Think about it; you’ve seen the necklace that Penelope was wearing at Queen Charlotte’s ball, you could gift her so many more of them.”

 

Colin smiled and made his way back to Bridgerton House.

 


 

Colin sat in the parlour at Bridgerton House reviewing the notes that Jack Featherington had provided him with along side his own financial documents. 

 

“Is everything alright Colin?” Anthony asked, taking his own seat opposite his brother.

 

“Did you see the necklace Pen was wearing at the Queen Charlotte ball?” Colin asked in reply.

 

Anthony frowned, “I can’t say I spend that much time looking at what she is wearing,” he laughed, “You’re the one courting her, not me.”

 

Colin rolled his eyes, “She was wearing a large ruby necklace,” he replied, “The stones came from the gem mines that the new Lord Featherington owns in the Americas. He has invited me to invest.”

 

Anthony frowned, “Have you seen anything other than that necklace?” he pressed, “And how much is he asking for?”

 

“As much as I would like to put in,” Colin replied, “He gave me some figures earlier and Prudence has been sporting an emerald necklace that he claims comes from the same mines.”

 

“Why would you want to invest in some random mines in the Americas?” Anthony asked, “I know we haven’t spoken of it much but the estate you are due on your marriage will provide substantial enough living for you and Penelope and whatever children you have.”

 

“Based on the state of her father’s debts, I doubt Pen has a dowry,” Colin replied, “We haven’t spoken of it; so I don’t know but I thought, if I invested in these mines; whatever profit comes from it would come to my children so they would benefit, indirectly, from the Featherington money.”

 

Anthony nodded, “That makes sense,” he agreed, “But we are sending word to these mines for a full appraisal before you put any money into them. We know nothing about Lord Featherington, I’m not letting you pour money into this without something more to go on.”

 

Colin nodded, “I wouldn’t even know where to start,” he admitted, “All I have is an idea where these mines are and what Lord Featherington has told me.”

 

“I’ll speak with Hastings,” Anthony promised, “He has been to the Americas so he might be able to assist.”

 


 

Eloise spent the first few days of her time at Aubrey Hall wondering the halls like some kind of spectre, the staff believing she had been struck down by some kind of fever were giving her a wide berth and she found herself spending a lot of time in her room, going through the papers and such that she kept in Kent. 

 

Eloise had kept a diary for years, using the pages to note down her activities of the day or her thoughts on momentous events. Anthony had gifted her the first one at Christmas 1804, telling her to write down all she had done each day so when he returned from Oxford each term they would have a whole book of things to discuss. Eloise took these instructions to heart and spent many hours with Anthony when he returned, leaning against his chest as she half-read and half-remembered everything she wanted her eldest brother to know. 

 

She flipped through the pages of 1805, knowing that the most important thing that happened to all of them that year was the death of her beloved Mama. That was the year that everything changed, the year they all became orphans and most importantly to Eloise, the year Anthony seemed to change. Something about the entry she had paused on caught her eye, and Eloise stopped to read. 

 

20 June 1805

 

Mama shouted at me this morning, I’m not sure why. Anthony took me out on my pony this morning and we were talking about it when Mama heard us and shouted. She told me that Anthony is not my Papa, but I know that. Papa died and it is still very sad but Anthony promised to help me and Anthony can fix everything. 

 

Anthony let me sit with him in the study this afternoon, he never normally lets us do that. He said that he was sorry Mama shouted and that she isn’t angry with me but she’s angry with him. I don’t understand that; I don’t think Anthony was happy when Papa died, he still seems very sad. I don’t understand why Mama would be shouting at him, Papa always let Anthony take us out on our ponies. 

 

Anthony says Mama doesn’t hate me, but I don’t believe him. Mama thinks it is my fault that Papa died because I was the one who wanted to go for a walk when he died. She shouts at me more than she shouts at Daphne and Frannie so that must be the reason. Anthony promises me that he doesn’t hate me and he lets me spend a lot of time with him so I think he is telling the truth. Sometimes.

 

Eloise sat quietly as she read and re-read her childish scribblings in the journals. Every single entry had some mention of Anthony, her entire world revolved around her eldest brother when she was a child; she wanted nothing more than to please him, for Anthony to tell her that he was proud of her when she completed her work in the school room. She wasn’t sure when she started referring to Benedict as her favourite brother, when clearly Anthony was the one who was the centre of her childhood. 

 

She had forgotten the feeling of loneliness that she had in the first few years after their father’s death. She had been the one out on a hike with him when he had been felled by that bee sting, the one who had run back to the house screaming for help. She had forgotten a lot of what had happened in the immediate aftermath in the intervening years, she had just remembered Anthony, picking her up and carrying her back to the nursery; holding her tightly as she screamed.

 

Re-reading her journal from 1805 brought the feelings of loneliness rushing back to Eloise, she had been convinced for years that the whole family hated her because she hadn’t stopped the bee stinging her father and thinking back now, it had changed the way she acted with them. The only person who had told her directly that things were not her fault was Anthony; and her eldest brother with all of his faults was the only one who had ever told her that he loved her after that day.

 

As she continued to read her childhood scribbles, Eloise thought about Anthony’s parting words when he left her at Aubrey Hall. She felt white hot shame flood over her, he was right. Anthony had stopped his entire life to make sure they were all safe, he protected them when their mother was in one of her rages. Even now, Eloise associated safety with her eldest brother, the world seemed a safer place knowing that he was there with a quick remark or a comforting hug. 

 

She realised now that she hadn’t gone about this whole situation in the best way and after finding a blank journal she started to write, as she used to as a child, notes and comments to entertain her family when they were all back together again.

 


 

Benedict slipped into Anthony’s study one afternoon, a few days after Eloise had been sent back to the country. He knew that he needed to speak with his elder brother but the words just wouldn’t come. 

 

“Ben,” Anthony said as Benedict slumped in the chair opposite his desk, “Is everything alright? You seem ... I’m not sure but not yourself.”

 

“I heard you, last season,” Benedict said softly, “You and Kate.”

 

Anthony frowned, “Heard what?” he asked, “Kate and I have many conversations every day, if this is about one of her many plans regarding marrying you off I do try and talk her out of it.”

 

Benedict shook his head, “The night before Daphne got engaged,” he clarified, “I came home from the Trowbridge Ball not long after you did. I don’t know exactly what you were talking about but Kate was trying to talk you out of doing something stupid. And do you know what made you stop?” 

 

Anthony frowned, “The children,” he replied, “Kate asked what would happen to her and to Charlotte. Edmund would have been fine, eventually.”

 

“Because Ben couldn’t do all of this,” Benedict replied, his tone flat, “That is what she said, she practically laughed as she said it.”

 

“Ben,” Anthony sighed, “That night ... everything was so tense. I never had a problem with that, Kate asking about Charlotte is what made me stop, I had no concerns about leaving Edmund in your care.”

 

Benedict shook his head, “I’ve been thinking about it alot,” he admitted, “And I think I need to step away from being Bridgerton number two for a while. That estate, the one I am supposed to take over when I am ready to marry. Could I have it early? Maybe I need something to occupy my mind for a while.”

 

“Of course,” Anthony agreed, “The documents are with my solicitor, it will take a few days to get them all in order but as soon as I have done that we can go over everything and you can take charge. It’ll be nice to have a bit more time, if you take that and Colin takes his this season, it’s a lot less for me to oversee.”

 

Benedict nodded and smiled, “She was right by the way, Kate,” Benedict stated as he stood to leave the room, “I couldn’t do all of this. I couldn’t have handled Eloise like you have done this week; I would have had her hands tied to the stable hook the minute I found those letters. I don’t know anyone who wouldn’t have done it.”

 

“I hardly think I have handled Eloise,” Anthony scoffed, “I’ve removed the problem to try and think about what to do.”

 

“More than I would have done,” Benedict countered, “More than Papa would have done.”

 

“It wouldn’t have happened if Papa was still here,” Anthony replied quietly, “We both know I’m a poor imitation.”

 

“Of a grieving widow’s fantasy,” Benedict finished firmly, “You’re holding yourself to a standard that he never reached. He was a great man, the best father to us both and to Colin but you have been a better father to the girls and Greg. How long are you going to continue holding yourself to the standard set by a grieving woman who was half-mad by the end?”

 

Anthony shook his head as tears leaked from his eye, “Stop it,” he whispered, “Just please, Ben, stop.”

 

1804

 

Anthony had been in the study, trying to work his way through a ledger that his father had never really taken in hand when he heard screaming. He entered the hallway and saw Colin and Daphne practically wrestling as they argued.

 

“Colin Bridgerton!” he shouted, pulling the teenager from his sister, “What do you think you are doing?!”

 

“She started it!” Colin spat, pointing at Daphne, “She ...”

 

“I don’t care!” Anthony replied, holding Daphne off with his other hand, “You do not hit your sister, or any other young lady. Now, stand up and apologise to Daphne, properly!”

 

Daphne stood, straightening her dress as Anthony hauled Colin to his feet, “I’m sorry Daph,” Colin muttered, bowing slightly, “I shouldn’t have hit  you, or taken your ribbons.”

 

Daphne nodded and Anthony turned to her, “Are you hurt Daph?” he asked softly, taking her chin in his hand to look at her face directly.

 

“I’m fine,” Daphne muttered, “I’m sorry too Col,” she continued, “I shouldn’t have ripped your letter.”

 

Anthony rolled his eyes, “I thought you two had grown past all of this,” he stated, “Colin, you are off to Eton in a few weeks, the masters will not tolerate behaviour like this. And Daphne, you need to set an example for the youngers, stop antagonising each other.”

 

“I’m sorry,” both children muttered together before turning and running back towards the staircase. Colin stopped dead at the sight of Violet on the stairs, her eyes glinting in fury.

 

“Mama,” Colin started, pushing Daphne behind him slightly, “We were only ...”

 

“Oh I know my darling boy,” Violet smiled, “You two run on now. I need to speak with Anthony.”

 

Colin frowned, and silently urged Daphne upstairs as he crouched half-way up to spy on his mother and brother.

 

Violet continued down the staircase and stalked towards Anthony, “You had no right,” she hissed, “You had no right to talk to them in that way. You are not their father Anthony,” she reached for his face as Anthony had turned from her, digging her nails into his cheek, “You are a poor imitation of their father. Stop trying, you will never live up to him.”

 

Anthony slumped against the wall as Violet continued walking past him and out into the gardens. Colin sank onto the stair; he didn’t understand his Mama anymore but he knew that she was being mean to Anthony and he didn’t like that. 

 

Colin rushed back down the stairs before Anthony disappeared into the study again, “I’m sorry Anthony,” he said softly, throwing his arms around his brother’s middle, “I didn’t mean to fight with Daph like that. It won’t happen again.”

 

“I know Col,” Anthony replied, “You’ve already apologised, it’s forgotten.”

 

Colin hugged Anthony fiercely, “I think you’re doing fine,” he muttered quickly before running back up the stairs, leaving Anthony standing in the hallway with a bewildered look on his face.

 

Kate slipped into the study after Benedict found her and sank to her knees at Anthony’s side, taking his head in her hands and wiping his tears, “Shh,” she said softly, “I’m here, she’s long gone. It’s just you and me, no one else.”

 

Anthony grasped one of her hands with his own, “I know,” he said softly, “Ben just reminded me of a few things.”

 

“He said as much,” Kate replied, “And he is right, you are one of the best men I know Anthony. And I will keep telling you that every day for the rest of our lives.”

 

Anthony smiled softly and kissed Kate, “Give me a few minutes will you?” he asked, “I love you.”

 


 

Around a week later, Anthony found his way to the local magistrate’s office, “Thank you for agreeing to speak with me,” he said respectfully, “I think I may be overreacting but I wished to discuss this.” Anthony placed the pamphlet Eloise had picked up at the races onto the desk.

 

“I am not certain if you are aware Sir,” Anthony continued, “But I have four younger sisters; three of them are still at home. My wife was sorting through one of their belongings and came across that; my sister has confirmed that she purchased it during a trip to Ascot earlier in the season. I’m slightly concerned at what else this printer has been putting about, if they feel bold enough to push this on young debutantes at Ascot.”

 

The magistrate read over the front of the pamphlet in shock, “Thank you for bringing this to my attention My Lord,” he said, “I must say, I agree with your concerns. To be passing this dangerous nonsense onto young impressionable ladies is unconscionable. I trust that your sister has not been adversely affected by what she has read?”

 

“She has not,” Anthony smiled, “I am just thankful that we discovered this before any of my other sisters found it; they are still in the school room and I dread to think what such writings would do to them.”

 

“Quite right My Lord,” the magistrate agreed, “Leave this with me; we have been looking for these kinds of printers. I will update you when I have the degenerates in custody.”

 

Anthony stood and shook the man’s hand, “Thank you Sir,” he smiled, “I look forward to hearing from you.”

 

Two weeks later, Anthony found himself in the magistrate’s office once more, “Our expedition was more fruitful than I could have imagined,” the magistrate smiled, “We came across one of their meetings; the ring leaders will be in front of my bench tomorrow morning if you wish to be present. I will inform the Lord Chancellor of your diligence in bringing this matter to my attention, my Lord, if only all brothers were as watchful as you.”

 

The following morning, Anthony stood at the back of the courtroom just out of sight as the magistrate’s bench sentenced Theo Sharpe, the man who very nearly ruined his sister and whole family, to twenty years' transportation. Anthony slipped out of the court as the guards dragged Theo out in chains, ready to be boarded onto the penal ship which waited out in the Thames. 

 


 

“It is done,” Anthony announced as he entered the parlour following his journey back from the Law Courts, “He is being transported, if he survives the journey.”

 

Kate sighed in relief, “And Eloise?”

 

“Is an unnamed innocent debutante who stumbled across the literature and brought it to the attention of her head of family,” Anthony answered, “Even when this is reported there is no way to link it back to us. The magistrate ordered a raid of the premises and came across one of their meetings; the soldiers have been breaking them up for weeks so there is nothing odd in that.”

 

“So, it is over,” Kate said faintly.

 

“It is,” Anthony agreed, “I think I will have a busy afternoon. I've put a few things off to sort out this business so I won’t be able to join you and the children for tea.”

 

Kate nodded, “Colin is in your study by the way,” she added, “I’m not sure what he wants but he’s been there most of the morning.”

 

Anthony frowned but kissed Kate softly and made his way to the study.

 

“Brother?” he asked when he noticed Colin pacing the room, “Is everything well?”

 

“Perfectly so,” Colin grinned, “I have come to speak with you about my settlement, when I marry, and to see if I can have one of the family rings.”

 

Anthony grinned and pulled his younger brother into a hug, “Congratulations!” he exclaimed, “I pulled some of the rings from the bank when I realised you were seriously courting Miss Featherington. Kate assures me that any of these will match her colouring perfectly.”

 

“Now, your settlement,” Anthony continued as the two sat, each nursing a glass of brandy, “As you know, Benedict receives a larger sum than either you or Gregory and he has an estate in Wiltshire that he has recently taken over. There are two other estates that are left for either you or Greg; both are a reasonable size with around fifty acres of land which is quite profitable and a small number of tenants to assist with further income. One is in Surrey and the other is in Hertfordshire; it is up to you which you would like.”

 

Colin blinked, “That is more than I expected,” he said after a while, “I think the one in Surrey; it is close to town and not too far a ride to Aubrey Hall.”

 

“And the Featheringtons?” Anthony asked, “Will Penelope not wish to be near her mother and sisters?”

 

“Lady Featherington spends most of the year in town,” Colin replied, “And their country seat is out in Norfolk anyway so no matter where Pen and I live, we would be around a week away from them. Would you be able to help me find somewhere in town as well? I had been looking at bachelor lodgings but none would be suitable now.”

 

“Of course I can,” Anthony grinned, “I’ve had to move all my appointments this morning so I will speak with the solicitor tomorrow and let you know what he finds. When are you going to ask?”

 

“I’m not sure,” Colin admitted, “I’m not sure how to do it ... Ant, when you asked Kate; what did you think about? How did you ask her? How were you sure she would say yes?”

 

It was Anthony’s turn to blink at that, “You know that I had different considerations when I courted Kate,” he said finally, “I needed a wife; I needed someone to help me with everything. You and Penelope, it’s different, you have been friends for a long time Colin, she will say yes.”

 

“But how do I ask?” Colin pleaded, “How did you ask Kate?”

 

Anthony smiled in spite of himself, “I turned up at Lady Danbury’s with the family ring and asked,” he said simply, “We had spoken of it; I had told her about all of you and she had told me of her family. It was a foregone conclusion and everyone knew what was expected. Have you not spoken to Penelope of your intentions?”

 

“I have,” Colin admitted, “But things have been difficult the last few weeks, I don’t like that I have had to lie to her about Eloise. We are going promenading later, Daphne has agreed to chaperone, I think I will ask then.”

 

“Not in the park!” Anthony advised quickly, “Go on your promenade and then when you return her home, ask to speak with her mother and ask her then.”

 

Colin smiled and nodded and on impulse moved behind his brother’s desk and pulled the older man into an embrace “Thanks Anth,” he said softly, “Do you think they would have liked her?”

 

Anthony tightened his grip on the younger man, “They would have loved her,” he replied, “Go, ask your question. I’ll be expecting you for dinner tonight!”

 


 

After his promenade, Colin found himself in the study of Featherington House sharing a drink with Jack Featherington. 

 

“I am happy for you to marry Penelope,” Jack stated, “But you must know, my cousin was not the most  financially prudent gentleman and there is no dowry.”

 

“And I am sure you must know that my family does not need Penelope’s dowry,” Colin replied, “I have a modest sized estate in Surrey and I will be looking to obtain a house in town for the season. Penelope will be well provided for.”

 

“There may be a dowry,” Jack offered, “If you decide to invest in the mines.”

 

“I have told you,” Colin replied, “I am waiting for confirmation of some things before I decide how much money I wish to invest. Are you holding my investment as collateral over my marriage?”

 

“Not at all,” Jack rushed to placate Colin, whose eyes were showing his anger, “Merely pointing out the benefits of the investment, for the entire family.”

 

“And I will inform you when I am ready to make such an investment,” Colin replied, “Now, if you are happy then I will go and speak with Penelope.”

 

Jack smiled and ushered Colin out of the study, and making sure the younger man was safely in the parlour, threw his papers across the room in anger. 

 


 

Colin sat on the chaise with Penelope, Portia had discreetly slipped out of the room to afford them some privacy.

 

“Pen,” Colin said softly, turning to face her, “You do know that you are my dearest friend?”

 

Penelope smiled and nodded, flushing slightly as he took her hands, “I think that we have grown closer this season and I can’t imagine my life without you in it. Pen,” Colin reached into his pocket for the delicate posey ring he had chosen from the family collection, “Will you do me the most absolute honour of being my wife?”

 

Penelope gasped as Colin placed the ring on her finger, turning her hand to watch the stone catch the light, “Yes,” she cried, “Oh Colin!” They kissed briefly before Portia made an unnecessarily loud entrance back into the room.

 

Upon catching sight of the ring now adorning Penelope’s finger, Portia let out a loud excited squeal causing Penelope to chuckle in embarrassment as Portia welcomed Colin to the family.

 


 

Colin practically bounced into the entrance hall at Bridgerton House when he returned from the Featheringtons, “I take it you have had a successful afternoon,” Anthony laughed from the door of his study.

 

Colin grinned, “She said yes Ant!” he laughed, grabbing his older brother into a hug, “She really said yes!”

 

Anthony laughed and returned Colin’s hug, “I’m happy for you brother,” he smiled, “Go find Kate and tell her; we’ll have a dinner with the Featheringtons in a few days to celebrate.”

 

“What can I tell her about Eloise?” Colin asked as he sat in the parlour with Kate, “I really don’t like lying to her about it and she will be family soon.”

 

“It’s not up to me,” Kate sighed, “I think you do need to say something; if only to stop things coming back and biting you when Eloise talks to her about it. But you need to speak with Anthony. The printer’s boy is being transported, Anthony saw him being sentenced a few days ago so that’s one danger passed.”

 

“That’s good,” he replied, “I’ll speak to Ant later; we’re going to look at some smaller properties in town for Pen and I.”

 

“I really like Penelope,” Kate smiled, “I’m glad you’re both settled. I just hope that Eloise comes back from the country next season with a better attitude.”

 

Colin snorted a laugh, “Oh Kate!” he grinned, “I don’t think El will ever change!”

 


 

Back at Aubrey Hall, Eloise read the news from London with a mixture of delight and sadness. She was truly happy for her brother and best friend but she knew that things would never be the same when she returned to London and she wasn’t sure how she would manage the season without Penelope by her side.

 

She turned away from her letter as she heard Edmund calling her name, she picked up her skirts slightly and started to chase the small boy, his delightful shrieks of laughter ringing out across the grounds as Eloise caught him and span him around.

Notes:

Sorry, it turns out 1814 is far more angsty for the family than I had planned! I hope the flashbacks and Eloise’s diary memories help to explain her relationship with everyone else. She is now starting to realise a lot of things but I do think one of the main aspects of her character is that she is selfish and can only see things from her point of view so she’s not going to lose that part of her character.

Colin and Pen are engaged - I couldn’t see them being overly romantic with the proposal (but I like to think I’ve made it better than the book!) and I am imagining Portia listening against the door and loudly bursting in after Penelope has said yes! I have made her a nicer mother but that overbearing gossipy part of her character is just too much fun to leave behind fully.

And yes - Colin is still going to uncover Jack Featherington’s fraud, I’ve set up a few things here to show that Colin and Anthony are a little sceptical of the whole thing from the start.

Chapter 10: Chapter Eight - 1814 : Part Four

Notes:

Thank you again for all the love you are showing my little universe. This is the end of 1814 and is a lot less angsty than the previous two chapters.

I only have a really brief outline and ideas for 1815 so the next chapters might take a while to be posted whilst I get things sorted. The beginning of this story came to me really quickly and I have a few ideas for the years leading up to around 1820 but it will take me time to piece everything together. Please bear with me and I’ll have the next chapter up as soon as I can 😁 (you might have noticed that I’ve changed the chapter total to unknown - based on the current path this is taking, I don’t think I’ll be done in 20 chapters!)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

A few days later, Colin and Penelope were sitting in the parlour at Bridgerton House as Kate and Lady Featherington discussed wedding plans and their planned engagement ball on the other side of the room. 

 

“I need to talk to you,” Colin said softly, “About Eloise.”

 

Penelope gasped lightly, “Is her fever so bad?” she asked fearfully, her eyes wide in concern for her friend.

 

Colin took a deep breath, “This cannot leave this room,” he said quickly, “But she isn’t unwell,” Penelope frowned and tilted her head slightly to indicate that Colin should continue, “Do you remember those pamphlets she purchased at Ascot at the start of the season?”

 

“The ones about dog grooming?” Penelope asked with a frown, “Or was it flower arranging?”

 

“Neither,” Colin replied, “Or at least, not just those.” Seeing Penelope’s frown again, he pushed on, “She also picked up something quite political; and found the printer’s shop.”

 

Penelope’s eyes grew large again, “She didn’t say anything,” she replied, “Colin, is she ... has she ...” Penelope blushed and then practically squeaked, “Has she been compromised?”

 

“No!” Colin replied quietly, casting a look over at Kate and Lady Featherington who were thankfully still discussing the wedding plans, “She managed to sneak out to a few meetings and had some awful literature from them in her room. Anthony sent her back to Aubrey Hall for the rest of the season to keep her out of more trouble.”

 

“I promise you, she did not say anything to me,” Penelope swore, “I would have stopped her if I had known.”

 

Colin smiled and kissed Penelope’s hand quickly, “I know you would,” he replied, “It’s just, she will be at the wedding and the last I heard, she’s still really angry with Anthony and things may get worse when she gets back here.”

 

“Why?” Penelope asked, “I’m assuming Lord Bridgerton is reviewing all her post and she is in the country all alone, how can things get worse when she gets back to town?”

 

“The printer’s boy,” Colin sighed, “She had been corresponding with him; and Anthony may have had him arrested and sentenced to transportation.”

 

“But she is still coming back for the wedding?” she asked, “I think I would like to talk to her about all of this if she is. I don’t understand why she wouldn’t say anything; I have been telling her everything about our courtship.” Penelope flushed, “Oh, has Lord Bridgerton been reviewing all of her letters?”

 

“You can call him Anthony,” Colin laughed, “And yes, he has read everything that has been sent to Eloise. The staff at Aubrey Hall sent it all to him and then he sent it back to El. Why?”

 

“Some things are private,” Penelope whispered, “Oh, I’ll never be able to look Lord Bridgerton in the face again.”

 

“He won’t think anything of it,” Colin soothed, “To be honest, he probably wouldn’t have read your letters in detail; just scanned them to make sure you weren’t aware of the problems.”

 

Penelope nodded, too embarrassed to say anything further. “Pen,” Colin said softly, “Even if he has read things you have said to Eloise, Anthony will not say anything about it. I promise, he is far too honourable to do so.”

 

“Promise?” Penelope whispered, still running over the things she had said to Eloise in her mind.

 

“I promise,” Colin said softly, “But I will speak with him if it will make you feel better.”

 

Penelope nodded and the young couple turned towards Kate and Lady Featherington to join in the discussions regarding their marriage.

 


 

After the Featheringtons left, Colin sat in the parlour taking tea with Kate and Anthony.

 

“Did you have a productive morning?” Anthony asked Kate, “Lady Featherington seemed pleased when they left.”

 

“We did,” Kate smiled, “Lady Featherington has agreed to hold an engagement ball in the next week, I think she is making up for the fact that Mr and Mrs Finch married so quickly at the start of the season but it gets us out of hosting.”

 

Anthony nodded, “The house on Bruton Street is ready for the decorators,” he added, “Colin, do you and Miss Featherington want to tour the place before they go in?”

 

Colin nodded around the biscuit he was eating, “I didn’t think it would be ready so soon,” he commented, “Is Farnley Lodge ready for us to move in at the end of the season?”

 

“It should be,” Anthony commented, “We could take a ride out there this week if you want to check on things though.”

 

“Did you speak about Eloise earlier?” Kate asked, “I noticed that you were both being very quiet.”

 

“We did,” Colin confirmed, “Pen didn’t know anything, if Eloise told her about that original pamphlet at Ascot, she has forgotten all about it.”

 

“I didn’t ever think Miss Featherington would have known about the whole thing,” Anthony added, “Eloise seemed to realise on some level that it was wrong and hid it from all of us. Did she seem alright about it all?”

 

“She was more concerned about the fact you had been reading her letters to Eloise,” Colin replied, “Apparently she has been keeping El well apprised of our courtship and is a little embarrassed that you are now privy to her thoughts on the matter.”

 

“I didn’t read her correspondence in that much detail,” Anthony grumbled, “Not when it was obvious that she was just gossiping.”

 

“And I told you that is all it was,” Kate interjected, “Colin, tell Penelope not to worry. Her correspondence was passed on without being read; she is practically family and her letters were treated as such.”

 

Colin smiled that, happy that his family had recognised the seriousness of his relationship with Penelope before he had made it officially so. 

 


 

“What were you and Mr Bridgerton speaking about?” Portia asked, as the two Featherington women crossed the square to return to their own house, “You were whispering away to each other in there.”

 

“Colin was telling me all about the house he has taken for us on Bruton Street,” Penelope lied easily, “And the estate that Lord Bridgerton has gifted him for a wedding present.”

 

“Bruton Street?” Portia repeated faintly, “That is only ...”

 

“I know Mama,” Penelope smiled, “I think I may need some assistance in setting up a household though, I truly did not expect to be living in such a house in town.”

 

Portia grasped Penelope’s hand, “My darling girl,” she said softly, “We will speak with Lady Bridgerton and get it all sorted out; your maid will come with you of course and I’m sure that Mr Bridgerton has a valet that will accompany him. You will then need a butler and a housekeeper but they should be easily found, it will all be well.

 


 

The following day, Colin and Penelope along with Kate and Portia, took a tour of their new house on Bruton Street. Penelope beamed as they reviewed the rooms and determined a colour scheme, she would very soon be mistress of all of this and hopefully they would soon add to the bright, airy room upstairs that had been designated as the nursery. 

 

“I think you will both be very happy here,” Portia smiled, “And it will be nice to be so close to my grandchildren.”

 

“Dunwoody will be coming with you Colin,” Kate added, “And we can advertise for a housekeeper, kitchen staff and some footmen, Dunwoody can double up as valet and butler for now.”

 

“Maria will be able to act as housekeeper if needed,” Portia added, “But I should think you will soon find staff. Will you need staff for Farnley Lodge too?”

 

“It has a basic staff,” Colin advised, “Some footmen and kitchen staff, but we can find more later. There is enough to keep us going when we first get there and it will be easy to add when needed.”

 

“And will it all be ready in three weeks?” Portia asked, “Or are you planning on going to the country after the wedding?”

 

“Anthony and I are going to Farnley Lodge in a few days,” Colin replied, “It hasn’t been occupied in some time so we’re not entirely sure what work will be needed. We’ll know more by the end of the week.”

 

“That is a fine house Penelope,” Portia smiled as they walked back to Featherington House, “For a third son, Mr Bridgerton has done very well for himself. You will be happy there, I can see it.”

 

“I think we will be Mama,” Penelope smiled, “And I’ll still be in town near everyone and everything.”

 

Portia patted Penelope’s arm, “And when you eventually have children, they will be close to both me and the Bridgertons. Isn’t Lord Bridgerton’s youngest boy only just one?”

 

“Not even that,” Penelope replied, “I think Miles is five months old at most.”

 

“Your own little family, but still in the orbit of the wider family,” Portia said softly, “It is more than I could have hoped for you darling; you will be so well looked after.”

 


 

Eloise scowled as the carriage pulled to a stop outside of Bridgerton House, she had been summoned back from the country for her brother’s wedding; her brother’s wedding to her best friend and she still wasn’t sure how she felt about the situation. She stormed into the house towards Anthony’s study, ignoring Humboldt who stood in his usual spot by the door.

 

“You didn’t have to have him transported,” Eloise protested as Anthony sat behind his desk, face impassive, “He could die on the journey, you have practically killed him.”

 

“And I have saved you,” Anthony replied evenly, “Do you have any idea what would have happened if you had been at that meeting when the soldiers arrived?”

 

“I’m sure it would have been fine,” Eloise dismissed, “You would have fixed it.” she continued with all the confidence of a spoiled child.

 

“I wouldn’t have been able to do so,” Anthony stated softly, “Eloise, if you had been caught they would have made an example of you. You would have been tortured in prison and then you would have been up in that court room and there would have been nothing I could have done to stop it.”

 

“Anthony,” Eloise protested, “You always fix everything, you would have done so.”

 

“We would have lost everything,” Anthony replied, “The Prince Regent would probably have stripped me of my title, the family of our lands and we would be left with nothing, in complete disgrace. They would have used you as an example of what happens to people who step out of line; what happens to their families. Do you think that Lady Featherington would let Colin continue to court and marry Penelope if that happened? Fran and Hyacinth would never debut; Eddie would not be able to continue the season. My boys would never go to Eton, they would not be accepted at Oxford. Charlotte would never be welcome in anyone’s home.”

 

“That wouldn’t have ...” Eloise protested.

 

“It could have done,” Anthony stated firmly, “I did what I had to do to protect us all, to protect you. So I turned in one printer’s apprentice who would probably have found his way to either a noose or a penal ship regardless of my involvement. Don’t expect me to care about some boy from Cheapside when our whole family’s welfare was on the line, Eloise, because I do not and I will not. And if I am forced to choose between you and someone like that again I will always choose to protect you Eloise. Always.”

 

“But I cared about him,” Eloise whispered, “He was my friend.”

 

“No he wasn’t,” Anthony said softly, “You were a curiosity to him; Eloise, do you really think you could have left all of this and gone to live in one of those tenements you see along the river? In some ramshackle house along Fleet Street? You can’t even dress without assistance Eloise, let alone make your own clothes, work for your money or make meagre rations last until you can afford meat and bread. His people would not have accepted you, just like we wouldn’t have accepted him. It is best for all concerned that you put these ridiculous notions out of your mind and move on.”

 

Eloise slumped in the chair as Anthony’s words hit home, she had been denying the truth about her friendship with Theo and part of her still believed that Anthony was overreacting but her brother’s soft earnest words rang around her head until she started to cry.

 

“El,” Anthony sighed as he rounded the desk and pulled her into his arms, “Shh, it’s alright. Everything is fine; I’ve fixed it, you’ll be fine.”

 

“Do you promise?” Eloise asked, her face squashed against Anthony’s vest as her arms tightened around his back, “Anthony, do you promise?”

 

“I promise,” Anthony replied, dropping a soft kiss to Eloise’s head, his own arms tightening slightly around her small frame, “Now come on, dry your face and go upstairs. Penelope will be over for tea and I’m sure she will be keen to see you.”

 

Eloise accepted Anthony’s handkerchief and wiped her face, sniffing slightly as she did so, “Does she know?” she asked quietly.

 

“Colin has told her,” Anthony replied, “He didn’t want to lie to her.”

 

Eloise nodded and her lip wobbled with the effort of trying to hold back further tears, Anthony exhaled deeply and pulled her into his arms again as she cried against his chest, her brother rocking her slightly as he had always done when she cried as a child. 

 

The two siblings stood in that same position whilst Eloise sobbed until she sagged slightly, “I’m sorry,” she whispered eventually, “I’m so sorry, Anth.”

 

“I know,” Anthony replied, “It’s all alright now El; I promise.”

 

Eloise took her brother’s handkerchief and dried her face before letting Anthony guide her out of the room, his arm wrapped around her shoulders as they walked into the parlour.

 


 

“How was Eloise?” Kate asked that evening as she and Anthony relaxed in their bed, “She seemed a bit upset when she arrived.”

 

“We had a chat in my study before she came into the parlour,” Anthony admitted, “She believed that boy to be her friend.”

 

Kate sighed, “You didn’t argue again did you?” she asked

 

“No,” Anthony replied, “We just talked; she gave me one of her journals, said that I should read it.”

 

Kate frowned, “Is she still writing those?” she asked, “Or is it one of her childhood ones?”

 

“A new one I think,” Anthony replied, “She said that she had been reading some of her old ones and it made her think. She always managed to get her thoughts straight if she wrote them down.”

 

“She has sent lovely letters about the children all season,” Kate commented, “Maybe time away was what she needed. If we can get Eddie sorted this season, things might be better for her next year. She and Fran have always shared everything; maybe we could have done this slightly differently.”

 

“That is true,” Anthony sighed, “Frannie would have enjoyed coming out this year; I guess I just didn’t want her to run the risk of her getting married this year.”

 

“You’re far too sentimental for your own good,” Kate chuckled, leaning her head on his chest, “Read her journal and then we’ll sort everything out in the off season. Next year will be a different beast altogether.”

 

Anthony kissed her softly, “Where would I be without you?” he smiled

 

“Completely and utterly lost,” Kate replied, reaching up to kiss him deeply, “You know I just like reminding you every now and again.”

 


 

Penelope was stood at the edge of the dancefloor watching the other couples dancing and trying to avoid some of the more vicious members of the party when Colin sidled up next to her, taking her hand, “I need to talk to you,” he said softly, “Come with me?”

 

Penelope nodded and let him lead her out of the ballroom towards the small library, “Colin,” she said softly as he closed the door, “What are you doing? We shouldn’t be alone like this, my Mama ...”

 

“What are they going to do?” Colin asked with a laugh, “Make us marry? Pen, I need to speak with you about your cousin and his mines.”

 

Penelope frowned, “Is this because my necklace broke the other day?” she asked with a frown.

 

“Kind of,” Colin replied, “I took it to our jewellers, to get the clasp repaired like we spoke of, but he asked why I was bothering.” Seeing Penelope’s frown, Colin took her hand and ran his thumb over her knuckles in comfort, “It turns out that the rubies were nothing but polished glass; the necklace was worthless.”

 

“But ...” Penelope said softly, “Why would ...?”

 

“I’m not sure,” Colin continued, “But I spoke with Mr Finch a few days ago, we were having a drink in the club and he has not been asked to invest. I asked around, discreetly, and it turns out only the more advantageous amongst us have been invited to put money into the scheme.”

 

“What does that mean for us?” Penelope asked, “Colin, do you still ...”

 

“We’re getting married,” Colin stated, “But, I am going to say something to your cousin and I’m concerned that he may cause some problems for your mother and sister. When we marry we will have both the room and resources to house them both, if you want to.”

 

Penelope looked at the man she had loved for nearly half her life in adoration, he wanted to make sure that her mother and sister were looked after but he cared enough about her to ask first, “If we have to then I’m sure we could give them houseroom,” she agreed, “But hopefully it will not come to that.”

 

Colin smiled and taking advantage of the fact that they were alone, stepped forward to kiss Penelope softly. Just as the kiss started to deepen, the door opened and Portia and Jack Featherington entered. 

 

“What is going on?” Portia demanded, “Penelope, come here.”

 

Penelope blushed and stepped out of Colin’s embrace making her way to her mother’s side. 

 

Colin looked at Jack Featherington with loathing as he placed the fake ruby necklace on a table and brought a paperweight down on top of it, “I think it is safe to say that I will not be investing in your scheme, Featherington.”

 

Portia gasped and grasped Penelope’s hand, her eyes wide, darting between the two men. 

 

“Well, I think I may need to reconsider your marriage,” Jack replied, “You are after all only a third son; I think my cousin deserves someone with a better position.”

 

Penelope clutched her mother’s hand tighter as tears came to her eyes. She hadn’t thought of this outcome when Colin outlined his plan, “Too late,” Colin replied, “The first banns were read this morning; you can’t reverse it now without looking even more of a fool.”

 

“How?” Jack spat, “The marriage contract was only signed two days ago.”

 

“It is very helpful to have the Duke of Hastings as a brother-in-law,” Colin replied, “Now, as I was saying; I will not be investing in your scheme and if I am asked I will explain that I have not done so as you have greatly exaggerated the profitability of the mines and I was not willing to take the risk. But I sincerely hope that I will not be asked by anyone else.”

 

Jack frowned, the young man in front of him had ruined all of his plans, “Well,” Jack smiled, “I suppose, it is with great regret that I must sell Featherington House and return to my estates in America. It is such a shame that Lady Featherington and Miss Prudence will be left destitute but I fail to see how I can be left responsible for the actions of my cousin, my very distant cousin, who I barely knew but I understand was a notorious gambler.”

 

“So you would threaten innocent ladies because you have failed to get your own way?” Colin asked, “What a poor excuse for a man you are Featherington. In any event, I cannot stop you from selling this house, it is yours but if you think Lady Featherington and Miss Prudence would be left destitute you would be wrong.”

 

“Oh, why would you take them in?” Jack laughed.

 

“I would,” Colin replied, “Our new house on Bruton Street is more than sufficient to house my in-laws should it prove to be necessary.”

 

“I think this ball is over,” Jack spat, storming out of the library, “I trust  you will see everyone out.”

 

“I’m sorry Lady Featherington,” Colin said softly as the two women still stood in the doorway, “I did not think he would do that.”

 

Portia shook her head, “It is hardly your fault,” she replied faintly, “I think I need to go and see our guests out, and perhaps ensure that I have a small bag packed.”

 

“Have the banns been read?” Penelope asked softly as she lingered in the doorway, “I thought we would have to attend church for that?”

 

“I may have made that bit up,” Colin grinned, “But he doesn’t need to know that. And if we need to move things up a little, having Hastings on side really helps.”

 

Penelope giggled before rushing out of the room to catch up with her mother.

 


 

“Mama,” Penelope said softly that evening as the women were getting ready for bed, “Will cousin Jack really sell the house?”

 

“I don’t know,” Portia replied, rubbing her forehead with her fingers, “I’m only glad that you and Philippa will be married by the end of the season, it will be much easier to find somewhere for just Prudence and I if needed.”

 

“Colin meant it Mama,” Penelope urged, “There will always be room with us. I haven’t seen Farnley Lodge yet but he has described it to me and there will be enough room for you and Pru to live with us. And you have seen Bruton Street, there is enough room for you there if needed.”

 

“I know my dear,” Portia smiled, “But you and Mr Bridgerton will not want Prudence and I intruding on your newly-wed bliss.”

 

“But I don’t think I will be very blissful if you and Prudence are turned out on the street,” Penelope protested, “Just please, Mama, don’t dismiss it completely.”

 

“I won’t,” Portia promised, “Now, I think we need to have a conversation about what may happen if you keep stealing off into quiet rooms with Mr Bridgerton unchaperoned.”

 

Penelope blushed as Portia launched into an explanation of what Colin would be expecting on their wedding night, or perhaps earlier, if Penelope had understood things correctly. 

 


 

Jack Featherington left town in the immediate aftermath of Colin and Penelope’s engagement ball, with his threats to sell Featherington House from underneath the ladies still fresh in everyone’s mind, Simon and Anthony pulled several strings to get Colin and Penelope’s wedding moved up as quickly as possible. 

 

So, a week after the engagement ball and three weeks earlier than originally planned, Penelope walked down the aisle at Grosvenor Chapel as Miss Featherington and walked back up it as Mrs Colin Bridgerton, both Colin and Penelope were beaming as they were pronounced man and wife. 

 

Portia breathed a sigh of relief as Penelope was pronounced Mrs Colin Bridgerton, she had been trying to keep a brave face in front of her youngest daughter all week but there was still a very real possibility that she and Prudence would find themselves homeless very soon and knowing that her youngest daughter had the weight of the Bridgerton family behind her helped to ease her worries significantly.

 

The family all fluttered around Colin and Penelope as they prepared to leave for Farnley Lodge at the end of their wedding breakfast. The newlyweds had planned on leaving London for the country a few weeks before the end of the season to enjoy their honeymoon in peace before spending the off-season getting to know their new estate and tenants at leisure.

 

Penelope stood with her mother and sisters as they wished her well, “Please tell me if anything happens Mama,” Penelope said softly to Portia, “The house on Bruton Street will be ready in a week or so and Lord Bridgerton has a key. If anything does happen the house will be open for you.”

 

“Do not fret my dear,” Portia soothed, “All will be well. Go and enjoy your honeymoon, I will see you during advent.”

 

Penelope smiled and accepting her sister’s best wishes, moved towards Colin who had been standing with his brothers. “Are we ready, wife?” he asked, smiling down at her. 

 

“We are,” Penelope replied, “Lord Bridgerton,” she addressed Anthony, “Can you please make sure that my Mama is fine whilst we are away? I fear that she will be too proud to come and tell you if Cousin Jack does try and sell the house.”

 

“I promise,” Anthony replied, “We will see you both soon.”

 

With promises made, Colin and Penelope entered their carriage and departed London. 

 

A few weeks later, the rest of the Bridgerton family departed London for Aubrey Hall. The Featherington women remained at Featherington House as Lord Featherington’s belongings were removed slowly, heading back to America with their owner, the agents of sale did not descend as threatened and Portia started breathing slightly easier. 

Notes:

So there we have it, Jack Featherington’s fraud has been uncovered and Colin and Penelope are married and set up in their own little estate - and yes, they are moving to Number 5. I’ve probably made the family a little richer than they would have been in canon but I liked the idea of Colin and Penelope being in Mayfair, just around the corner from the rest of the family so there we are.

I’ve not decided yet if Portia will be aware of the extent of Jack’s fraud or if she will be completely ignorant. I’ve left it as ambiguous as possible here so I have the option to go either way as I write the next few years. It is things like this that I need to fix whilst I’m plotting the next few chapters - this has run away with me a little bit as I’ve been writing and I do take on board your comments and requests for certain interactions and moments and try and work things in.

Next chapter, 1815 and Francesca’s first season - hopefully I’ll have this one up by next weekend (but I make no promises - John Stirling is a relative unknown and I’m still trying to figure him out).

Chapter 11: Chapter Nine - 1815 : Part One

Notes:

Thank you for all the love you have all been showing this story so far. This chapter isn’t as long as previous chapters but I wanted to get everyone set up for 1815 and show the progression in their lives since we left them at the end of the 1814 season.

A lot of you asked about Eloise’s journal that she gave to Anthony in the last chapter, I’m not sure how I will work it in but you will see bits of it as we go through the years. I’m tempted to do a bit of a spin-off showing the entries but if I do that it will be after this has finished; I don’t have the brain space to write two stories at the same time!

I think I’ll have the next chapter ready to go in a week - it has taken me a bit of time to get into 1815 but I’m there now so hopefully the next few chapters will just flow!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

The last few weeks of March were always busy for the Bridgerton family, as the family and staff prepared to leave the peace of the country for the bustle of the city and the season. 

 

Eloise curled herself into a chair in the library, this season would be very different than the last and she was not looking forward to it. She had not been looking forward to her debut season in the first place and with all that had occurred last year, she was not looking forward to being back in London. 

 

Aubrey Hall - 20 March 1815

 

Dearest Pen

 

How are your preparations for the move back to London coming along? I really hope that you and Colin will be arriving at the same time we are; maybe we can go to Hatchards when we are back in town. There must be many new novels and interesting books for us to purchase after nearly a  year since my last visit! 

 

Francesca is very excited about her debut, a lot more excited than I was most definitely. Kate and Anthony have told me that I need to make an effort this year, so that everyone remembers me and the fact that I did debut last year. I know now that I was foolish, rushing off to the print shop in the way that I did but it did seem easier than spending time in a ballroom. 

 

I just don’t think I wish to be married; I know that you and Colin are very happy and I love you both but I can not imagine being married or being with child. The very thought of that terrifies me and the only way I can think of it not happening to me is by refusing to marry. I suppose you think me very foolish Pen but I do not want that life for myself; I sometimes wonder if Anthony will let me remain unmarried. 

 

How is Farnley Lodge? I do wish I could have been to visit but I will content myself with spending time with you in Bruton Street instead when we return to town. 

 

I look forward to seeing you soon Pen!

 

Love

 

Eloise

 

Penelope was relaxing on a chaise in the sunroom at Farnley Lodge when Dunwoody brought her Eloise’s letter. She sighed slightly, all the off-season Eloise had been sending letters requesting to visit the newly-weds and did not seem to understand why Colin and Penelope would want some time alone. 

 

They had managed to keep the entire off-season to themselves, Jack Featherington had not followed through with his threat to sell Featherington House and so Portia and Prudence had remained in London with Penelope secretly using some of her Whistledown money to keep them afloat. 

 

“How is Eloise?” Colin asked as he returned from his walk, “And how are you and baby?”

 

“We’re fine,” Penelope smiled as Colin’s hand ghosted over her now visible bump, “And Eloise is the same, only instead of wishing for an invite here she would like to spend time with us in Bruton Street instead.”

 

Colin rolled his eyes, “I look forward to having that argument with her in London then,” he stated, “Have they started getting everything ready for the move back?”

 

“All ready to leave in a week as planned,” Penelope replied, “Hopefully I’ll have a bit more energy by then too.”

 

“Has Cook given you some of her broth?” Colin asked in concern, “You are looking a little brighter than you have for the last few days.”

 

“They have just removed the tray,” Penelope smiled, “And I suppose we won’t have to attend every event this season, so that will make things easier in town.”

 

Colin shifted Penelope slightly on the chaise to sit behind her, wrapping his arm around her as he too read Eloise’s letter, “Have you told her you are pregnant?” he asked softly. 

 

“I have mentioned it,” Penelope replied, “I think that is why she is talking about how much she doesn’t want this.”

 

Colin sighed and leaned his head on top of Penelope’s, “I don’t actually know what we’re going to do with her this season,” he said, “Anthony is not going to let her go anywhere without someone from the family, she’s not going to have as much freedom this year.”

 

“I don’t blame him,” Penelope commented, “But it might make things better if I could be the family member that goes around with her, that would make her feel normal.”

 

“But I don’t want you to do too much,” Colin replied, “Not when you have been feeling so unwell.”

 

Penelope smiled slightly and leaned back into Colin’s chest as the couple discussed their plans for the move back to London.

 


 

Within no time at all Francesca was on her way to Court to curtsy to the monarch. 

 

“You seem very relaxed,” Anthony commented as their carriage travelled towards Kensington Palace.

 

“Do you want me to start creating a scene like Eloise?” Francesca quipped, “I would have thought you preferred it this way.”

 

Anthony rolled his eyes, “Not what I meant,” he replied, “But even Edwina was nervous last year and she was looking forward to it.”

 

“I spoke with Daphne,” Francesca smiled, “And she told me that it isn’t as big a thing as Eloise built it up in her mind and it is all over in five minutes.”

 

Anthony nodded, “And,” Francesca continued, “She reminded me that  you would be waiting for me when I’m done; and it didn’t seem so scary then.”

 

Anthony smiled, “And then we can open your ball with a dance,” he commented, Francesca beamed back at him.

 

A few hours later, the party arrived back at Bridgerton House for Francesca’s debut ball. 

 

“So, who do you have Frannie dancing with?” Anthony teased as he and Kate watched the proceedings from the edge of the ballroom, “I’m sure you have prepared a list.”

 

“She is with Lord Strange at present,” Kate replied, “And we can discuss my list later, there are a few new faces I would want you to advise on.”

 

“Is that Mr Bagwell?” Mary asked from behind them, “Dancing with Eddie?”

 

Anthony looked out over the dancefloor, “It is,” he replied, “Are you well rested after your journey into town?”

 

“I am,” Mary smiled, “Francesca looks delightful, doesn’t she? Kate, you must be so proud.”

 

Kate smiled, “I am,” she replied, “Mr Bagwell is a good match for Eddie, they are very well matched. We can content ourselves with fixing Eloise and Francesca this year.”

 

“One will be easier than the other,” Anthony muttered.

 

Kate rolled her eyes slightly at his comment before turning to Mary, “Are you sure you are well, Mama. You have been so ill.” 

 

“I am fine,” Mary smiled, “Do not fret, and I long to see my grandchildren, Edmund will have forgotten what I look like. And we may have a wedding to oversee.”

 

Across the ballroom, Francesca was enjoying her first ever ball. After Lord Strange, she had danced with Lord Goring and Lord Young before Colin stole a dance to give her a chance to get her bearings again. 

 

“Having fun Frannie?” Colin asked as they spun around the room, “I don’t think I’ve seen a card so full since Daph’s first season.”

 

Francesca beamed, “I am,” she admitted, “But how do you know if the man you are dancing with wishes to court you?”

 

“They will turn up in the morning with their card and some flowers,” Colin replied, “Don’t worry, I’m sure Kate has a list somewhere. And Anth won’t let  you be courted by just anyone.”

 

“Are you not dancing with Penelope tonight?” Francesca asked as she saw her new sister-in-law sitting at one of the small tables dotted around the ballroom.

 

“No,” Colin replied, “She has been very unwell with the baby, so we’ve decided not to this evening.”

 

As she and Colin finished their dance, she found her next being claimed by Lord John Stirling, Earl of Kilmartin. The young Scottish Earl, despite his own shyness, made the quietest Bridgerton laugh as they danced.

 


 

The following morning, the parlour at Bridgerton House was filled with callers for the three young ladies; Mr Bagwell for Edwina, Lord Fife for Eloise and a line of young men for Francesca. 

 

Edwina and Mr Bagwell sat on one of the couches dotted around the parlour as they debated the philosophies of Hobbes and Locke much to the aggravation of those sat closest to them. 

 

“Miss Sheffield,” Nicholas said after they had finished their discussion, “I do hope that we have become friends over the off-season.”

 

“I think we have,” Edwina smiled, “I have enjoyed your letters and our discussions.”

 

“If I was to speak with Lord Bridgerton,” Nicholas ventured, “Would you be amenable to that?”

 

Edwina’s breath caught, “I think you would need to meet my Mama too,” she said quietly, “But if you speak with Anthony, I am sure a dinner will be arranged.”

 

“And you will need to meet my parents and brother,” Nicholas added, “I will try and arrange a time to speak with Lord Bridgerton this week.”

 

Edwina beamed and Nicholas took his leave with a soft kiss to her hand.

 


 

Across the room, Lord Fife sat with Eloise. He had enjoyed the few dances they had shared at the start of the previous season and knew from speaking with both Colin and his new wife that Miss Eloise Bridgerton was quick witted and an avid reader. 

 

“I do hope that you are feeling better this season, Miss Eloise,” he smiled, “I was disappointed that we could not continue our conversations last season.”

 

Eloise frowned slightly before schooling her face into a slight smile, “I am surprised you remembered me,” she stated, “I was here for such a short time last season.”

 

“I was surprised to hear you had returned to the country,” Fife commented.

 

“I was unwell,” Eloise replied, giving out the lie that Anthony had concocted last season, “The country air is so much cleaner and I managed to spend a lot of time reading whilst I was in Kent. Tell me, Lord Fife, have you read Waverley?”

 

As Lord Fife started talking about his thoughts of Walter Scott’s novel, Eloise ran over her memories of the other man from her last season. Kate had made them dance at her coming out ball and he had called on her a few times, she knew that he was a friend of Colin’s from Oxford and she supposed that he was nice, in an abstract kind of way but she didn’t understand why he was so insistent on spending time with her.

 

“I did manage to pick up a copy of Ms Edgworth’s latest novel earlier this week,” Fife stated, “Have you yet had chance to read it?”

 

“I have not,” Eloise replied, “Do you recommend it?”

 

“I have not yet finished it,” Fife replied, “But maybe I could bring it when I have done so and then we could look to discuss it?”

 

“I suppose we could do so,” Eloise nodded, before turning back to her book effectively ended the conversation.

 


 

Across the room, closest to Kate, Francesca sat entertaining her suitors. Whilst Francesca seemed shy to most people, she was simply the type of person who observed a room before making her opinions known; something which sometimes set her out as a peacemaker in her large and boisterous family. 

 

Most of the young men she had danced with the previous evening had paid a call and the parlour was full of flowers addressed to her. She smiled and straightened her posture slightly as Humboldt announced Lord Kilmartin and the nice man she had danced with the previous evening entered the room with a bouquet of tulips for her and a smaller one for Kate. 

 

“Miss Bridgerton,” John smiled, after they had been talking for a few minutes, “Would you like to accompany me on a promenade tomorrow? My mother and aunt have arrived from Scotland and they will be more than happy to chaperone.”

 

“That would be wonderful,” Kate interjected, “We will be in the park for a family picnic tomorrow, if you come by our tent I am sure we can find any number of chaperones for you both.”

 

Francesca smiled at John as he kissed her hand and bowed to Kate before taking his leave. 

 


 

As the women entertained suitors in the parlour, Hyacinth roamed the halls of Bridgerton House looking for something to do. She was a little lost without Gregory by her side but her brother had started at Eton the previous September and she was now too old for playing with dolls in the nursery with Charlotte. 

 

She skipped downstairs and slipped into Anthony’s study, “Hyacinth?” Anthony frowned as she entered, “Is everything alright?”

 

“Can we go for an ice?” Hyacinth asked, “Or take Newton for a walk in the park?”

 

“Can it wait until after lunch?” Anthony asked, “We could all go then?”

 

“I just want to go with you PapaAnt,” Hyacinth sulked, “I never see you anymore.”

 

Anthony frowned slightly but gestured for Hyacinth to come around the desk and stand with him, “I need to finish this,” he said softly, looking down at his account ledger, “But, we can go when I’m done.”

 

Hyacinth reached up and kissed Anthony’s cheek, “How long will you be?” she asked, looking at the book herself.

 

“Not long,” Anthony replied, “Do you want to pass me that stack of bills so I can get this done quicker?”

 

Hyacinth beamed as she perched on the edge of Anthony’s desk and handed him the bills as requested as Anthony settled the family books. Around half an hour later, Hyacinth skipped down the steps at the front of Bridgerton House, her hand securely in Anthony’s as they walked across Grosvenor Square towards the tea shop.

 

“Did you know that I’m learning Italian,” Hyacinth stated as they sat in the shop, “And my governess thinks that I should be able to learn German too.”

 

Anthony nodded, “I know,” he smiled, “Do you want to learn German? Your governess is able to teach you, if that is what you want.”

 

“I would be able to speak four languages then,” Hyacinth smiled, “That is more than Gregory will be able to do.”

 

Anthony smothered a laugh, even when the youngest Bridgerton brother was not present, the two siblings were competing, “I will speak to your governess tomorrow then,” he agreed, “And we can stop into Hatchards for a German primer on the way home.”

 

As the two made their way back to Bridgerton House they saw several young men leaving, all discussing the three young women as they did so.

 

“Miss Sheffield is so set on Bagwell it seems pointless even trying,” one of them commented to his companions, “But I must say, Fife, you are brave taking on Miss Eloise. Didn’t she spend most of the last season in the country?”

 

“Yes,” Fife replied, not noticing the two Bridgertons walking towards them, “Mr Colin Bridgerton said she had caught a fever and they sent her back to the country so she didn’t get worse in the city. I must admit, I would rather be down in Kent than here if I was unwell.”

 

“PapaAnt,” Hyacinth whispered, “Does that mean Eddie and El will be getting married soon?”

 

“I think we have more chance for Edwina,” Anthony replied, “But I’m sure we will find out more if we go inside.”

 

Hyacinth grinned and clutching her new books, bounded up the steps and into the parlour. 

 


 

“Successful morning then?” Anthony asked as he sat with Kate.

 

“I think so,” Kate replied, “Mr Bagwell still seems set on Eddie, I would expect him to request a meeting with you before the end of the week and Lord Fife seemed to enjoy his conversation with Eloise, even if I’m not certain she felt the same way.”

 

“And Frannie?” Anthony asked, “I noticed the stack of cards on the side table, do you need me to go through them?”

 

“I think that would be best,” Kate replied, “But she has accepted an invitation from Lord Kilmartin to promenade tomorrow.”

 

Anthony frowned but nodded, “I don’t know much about him,” he admitted, “But from what I have seen he is quiet and I know that he came into his Earldom young.”

 

“And we both know that makes even the most outgoing man serious before his time,” Kate added softly, taking Anthony’s hand, “Frannie wouldn’t suit someone loud; she has always been our little peacemaker.”

 

“I don’t think I’d go that far,” Anthony replied, watching as Francesca and Eloise argued over something in the corner, “But I know what you mean. Let’s see how it goes, but I can’t think of any objections to Kilmartin, other than the fact he would take her to Scotland.”

 

Kate laughed, “Stop sulking,” she chided, “See how it goes and if you do find something, we can stop things before they go too far.”

 


 

That evening, Anthony was sat at his usual table in Whites waiting for one of his brothers to join him when the empty seat next to him was taken by Nicholas Bagwell. 

 

“I apologise for the ambush Lord Bridgerton,” Nicholas began, “But I was wondering if I could have a minute of your time to talk about Miss Sheffield?”

 

Anthony turned to face Bagwell slightly and nodded, “I am sure that you are aware, I have been corresponding with Miss Sheffield now for several months and I would like to marry her. She is agreeable but I understand you are the person to speak to about this.”

 

Anthony nodded again, “And what can you provide my sister?” he asked, “I understand that you are a second son and that you are a scholar. What kind of life can you provide my sister when she is used to a certain level of standards.”

 

“I might only be a second son, Lord Bridgerton,” Bagwell responded, “But I have a more than generous settlement from my father. I have managed to support myself as a scholar as opposed to having to make a living. Miss Sheffield will be well provided for, I have a town house in Oxford where we will live for most of the year and I have the resources to ensure that we are able to take rooms in London for the season each year. I will not be able to provide her with a title but she will not want for anything else.”

 

“And you say that Edwina is agreeable to this, that she wishes to become your wife?” Anthony pressed.

 

“She is,” Bagwell smiled, “I told her that I would be speaking with you and her only condition was that I also had to speak with her mother.”

 

“I see no objections then,” Anthony smiled, “My wife will send a dinner invitation around in the next few days and you can meet the rest of the family, you can see exactly what you are getting yourself into.”

 

The two men laughed slightly and toasted the arrangement as Colin and Simon both joined them.

 

A slightly inebriated Anthony slipped into bed next to Kate that evening, “You’re later than normal,” she mumbled, rolling into his chest, “Is everything alright?”

 

“We need to host a dinner in the next few days,” Anthony replied, “Bagwell will be proposing to Eddie. We have had a discussion.”

 

Kate grinned, “I knew it!” she cheered, “Eddie will be so happy!”

 

Within days, Edwina was being fitted for her trousseau at the modiste, sporting a modest emerald ring whilst Kate and Mary planned an engagement dinner for the young couple.

Notes:

So there we go, Edwina and Bagwell (I can’t remember his first name from the books so I’ve gone with Nicholas - if anyone can remember let me know and I’ll go back and change it!) are engaged. Francesca has met John Stirling and Eloise is being courted (not that she realises!)

To all those asking, Francesca will be marrying John first - I think it plays a large part of both her and Michael’s story and in 1815 Michael was still fighting with Wellington so he isn’t around at the start of the season. The Battle of Waterloo hasn’t happened yet so we have to get over that before Michael turns up in London.

Chapter 12: Chapter Ten - 1815 : Part Two

Notes:

Thank you again for all your love ❤️

I’ve had a few questions about Ben and Sophie seeing as they meet in 1815 in the books and I’ve not added their tag to this story yet. Benedict will be meeting Sophie this year but I’m only adding the relationship tags when the couple comes into the story so I will be adding them soon. They won’t be meeting at a masquerade ball in this universe, I’ve changed things slightly for them and I’ve finally got it all worked out so they will be making an appearance in the next few chapters.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Simon sat on the end of his and Daphne’s bed as he prepared himself for the day, Daphne was sleeping with her arm cradled around her prominent stomach which housed their second child, she was approaching her due date and Simon was very reluctant to leave her. He leaned over and kissed her softly, “I need to go to Parliament,” he said as she stirred, “Sleep, I’ll be back as soon as I can be. Send Jeffries if anything happens.”

 

Daphne sighed and settled back into the blankets, her second pregnancy had taken more of her energy than her first and she was finding that she spent longer in bed than she had done previously. It was unusual for Simon to attend Parliament but with the news of Napoleon’s escape from Elba in March, he had taken to attending more than he usually would to be kept abreast of the latest war news. 

 

“Your Grace, are you wanting some breakfast?” Rose asked as she entered the chamber, opening the curtains as she did so, “I can have a tray brought up.”

 

“Maybe a little,” Daphne agreed as she held out her hand for Rose’s assistance in sitting against the headboard, “Only some toast and tea though, I feel a little sick this morning.”

 

“Do you want me to send for Lady Bridgerton?” Rose asked, “It is nearly your time.”

 

“Maybe in a little while,” Daphne agreed, “Let them break their fast at Bridgerton House first.”

 

Rose nodded and bustled out of the room to set about her tasks.

 


 

Over at Bridgerton House, Kate sat with Anthony and the girls as they all had their breakfast. Edwina was chatting happily about her plans for the day which included the latest fittings for her wedding gown and Francesca hoped to tag along to the modiste to acquire some new dresses herself. Eloise was hoping to spend the day with Penelope and was planning to take Hyacinth with her to visit. 

 

Kate took the letter from Humboldt with a smile, “Oh!” she gasped, “I must go to Hastings House! Edwina, ask Mama to accompany you and Francesca to the modiste when she comes down. Walk me out husband?”

 

Anthony stood and walked around the table to Kate, “Daphne?” he asked softly as they walked towards the door.

 

“Her maid has sent word,” Kate replied, equally as softly, “Simon is in Parliament and they think her time is close. I will go over now and send word when we know what is going on. Are you heading to Parliament?”

 

“I hadn’t planned,” Anthony replied, “But I can do, do you want me to tell Hastings the news?”

 

“I will ask Daphne, I’m sure he has set up some system for this. But you could go and keep him calm; and you have been talking about wanting to know about what is happening on the continent. I will let you know as soon as I know what is happening.”

 

Anthony nodded and kissed her softly, “Let Daphne know I’m thinking of her,” he said.

 


 

Kate arrived at Hastings House and was ushered up to the bedchamber by Mrs O’Carroll, the housekeeper, who left Kate at the doorway as she hurried back down to the kitchens to prepare warm linen should they become necessary.

 

“How are you Daph?” Kate asked as she perched at the edge of the bed, “Have they sent for a midwife?”

 

“Not yet,” Daphne replied, “I don’t think I am there yet but I couldn’t get out of bed this morning and I feel so sick. I just didn’t want to be alone, have I ruined your day?”

 

“Not at all,” Kate assured her, “You have saved me from spending the day in the modiste whilst Eddie is fitted for her bridal gown.”

 

Daphne smiled and settled back against the pillows of her bed before talking with Kate about Edwina’s upcoming wedding and the burgeoning courtship between Francesca and the Earl of Kilmartin.

 


 

A few streets away in the town house in Bruton Street, Penelope was also entertaining her family. Portia had taken to visiting Penelope most mornings now they were all back in town and Penelope was starting to regret writing to her mother about her morning sickness and how ill she had been with it. 

 

“Did they give you some broth as I suggested?” Portia fussed as she fluttered around Penelope, fixing cushions around her daughter, “And did that ginger tea help?”

 

“It did Mama,” Penelope replied, “And the broth seems to be working, I have more energy now and I am not as sick.”

 

“You do have more colour than you did when we first got back to town,” Portia agreed, “But I would keep taking a nap in the afternoons, you are glowing now my dear; that new Mr Bridgerton you are carrying is certainly making himself known.”

 

Penelope smiled and ran her hands over her stomach, she was now six months along and very obviously pregnant, “Colin wants a little girl first,” she said softly, “He dotes on Charlotte and Amelia and wants one of his own too.”

 

“A boy first would be better,” Portia warned, “More secure. You don’t want to risk ending up at the whim of one of his brothers if anything goes wrong, like we had to be.”

 

“Mama,” Penelope sighed, “Lord Bridgerton wouldn’t let anything like that happen; I just want the baby to be healthy when they arrive and for us both to be safe.”

 

“Of course!” Portia exclaimed, “I will be here when it is your time dearest, all will be well.”

 

“How are you both this morning?” Colin smiled as he entered the room, pausing to give Penelope a kiss to her cheek, “Are you well?” he asked her softly.

 

“I am fine,” Penelope smiled, “Mama has been making sure I do not overtax myself.”

 

Colin smiled at his mother-in-law, “How are you Lady Featherington?” he asked, “Is everything alright at Featherington House?”

 

“It is fine,” Portia smiled, “Prudence and I do not need as much as we would have done the four of us girls together and hopefully Prudence will be settled this season and I can manage just fine with Mrs Varley and Briarly.”

 

Penelope smiled, “I think I’m going to have a nap,” she announced, “Eloise has said that she may come by for tea so I will need to be well rested.”

 

Colin smiled and helped Penelope out of her seat as she left the room. 

 

“How are things really?” Colin asked Portia as Penelope left the room.

 

“It is a struggle,” Portia admitted, “And I am afraid that I am not very good with the ledgers. I was going to ask Mr Finch if he could ...”

 

“I can come around tomorrow morning,” Colin offered, “Before calling hours, see what I can do.”

 

Portia smiled gratefully, “Now, go and look after my grandchild, Mr Bridgerton!” she ordered, as Colin helped her into her carriage.

 


 

Simon rushed back into Hastings House after a long day in Parliament where much had been debated but nothing had been settled. 

 

“Kate?” he frowned, seeing his sister-in-law taking tea in the parlour, “Where’s Daph? Is everything alright?”

 

“Everything is fine,” Kate soothed, “Daphne is asleep, she felt a little sick this morning so sent for me. I thought it best that I stay until you returned, just in case anything happened.”

 

Simon smiled and sank onto the sofa opposite Kate, “I’m not bothering tomorrow,” he grumbled, “It was a complete waste of time today.”

 

“My Lady!” Mrs O’Carroll shouted as she burst into the room, “Oh! Your Grace!”

 

“Mrs O’Carroll?” Simon frowned already on his feet and moving towards the older woman, “What is it?”

 

“It’s Her Grace,” the woman continued, “The baby is coming.”

 

Kate jumped from her seat and rushed out of the room behind the housekeeper towards Daphne’s bedchamber. “Simon,” Kate called, “Send word to Lady Danbury, and then take yourself to Bridgerton House. It will be a long night, we will send word when you’re needed.”

 


 

In the early hours of the following morning, Lady Belinda Agatha Bassett made her way into the world. Daphne sank against her pillows, exhausted as Kate passed her newborn daughter to her. 

 

“I’ll send word to Simon,” Kate promised as she smiled at her new niece, “I sent him to Bridgerton House last night to keep him out of the way.”

 

Lady Danbury sat on the edge of the bed on her other side, smiling at the baby she considered her newest grandchild, “Give her to me,” she grinned, “Your Papa is not going to know what to do with himself when he sees you!” she cooed as Kate and the midwife fussed around Daphne making sure that she was comfortable. 

 


 

Simon had spent the night at Bridgerton House with Anthony and Benedict as the three men worked their way through a decanter of brandy. The three had intimate knowledge of the dangers of childbirth and knew that they would not rest until word of Daphne reached them, just as the household was waking for the day a Hastings footman ran up the stairs of Bridgerton House.  

 

Simon practically tore the note from the man’s hand before sinking back onto a chair in relief, “Another daughter,” he grinned, “Daphne and baby are both fine. Belinda,” he smiled, “Lady Belinda Bassett.”

 

“Congratulations Hastings!” Benedict grinned, “Another niece, I can’t wait to spoil her too!” 

 

Anthony smiled at his best friend, “Congratulations,” he said softly, “Now, get out of here and send word when we can all descend.”

 

Simon crossed Grosvenor Square in no time at all before striding through Hastings House towards the Duchess’ rooms. He smiled as he saw his godmother with his newborn daughter, “Can I?” he asked softly, trying not to disturb the now sleeping Daphne.

 

“Of course,” Agatha smiled, passing the baby into his waiting arms, “And then you can go and have a bath, have you spent the entire evening in a bar?”

 

Simon grinned, “Bridgerton House with Anthony and Benedict,” he replied before lowering his head to Belinda, giving her a soft kiss, “My darling girl,” he whispered, “Papa will give you the world.”

 

After being ushered out of the room by his godmother who happily reclaimed her grandchild, Simon returned to his own chambers and changed his clothes before deciding to spend the morning in the nursery with his older daughter. 

 


 

A few days after welcoming baby Belinda into the family, Benedict walked into the studio at the Royal Academy of Arts; he had been developing his art for several years and after everything that had happened the previous season, with Eloise and her foray into politics he had decided to pursue the craft seriously and finally do something just for himself instead of spending his time partying and playing support to Anthony and Kate. 

 

As he entered the studio, Benedict smiled at one of his many acquaintances from Granville’s salons and happily accepted the offered glass of wine as he set up his easel and started to sketch the tableau in front of him. 

 

“I would have thought you would have been here last year, Bridgerton,” the other man, Briarly, Benedict recalled,  commented as they worked, “I was sure I had heard you got the place last season.”

 

“I did,” Benedict replied, “But my sister caught a nasty fever and we had to send her back to the country. I needed to help with the others to make sure they didn’t catch it too.”

 

“The perils of having such a large family,” Briarly laughed, “You miss all the fun! Will you be coming back to the salons this year too?”

 

“Hopefully,” Benedict smiled, as he turned back to his work. 

 

Soon enough, Benedict was immersed in the hedonistic, rakish lifestyle of the art scene once again. 

 


 

As Benedict enjoyed himself in the art world again, Francesca was enjoying her first season and courtship. Lord Kilmartin had paid another call and they had enjoyed several promenades. They were currently taking a walk through Hyde Park with Kate acting as chaperone walking a few steps behind them.

 

“Are you feeling well my Lord?” Francesca asked, as John was quieter than usual.

 

“I am,” John smiled, “Just thinking a little, have I ever spoken with you about my cousin, Michael?”

 

“No,” Francesca replied, “Is he in town? I don’t think I have been introduced.”

 

“He is with the Duke of Wellington,” John replied, “In Flanders at the moment. With all the news coming from France and the rest of the continent I can’t help but worry about him.”

 

“Of course!” Francesca gasped, “Has he been fighting with Wellington for some time?”

 

“The last three years,” John replied, “He joined the army immediately after we left school and has been part of Wellington’s camp ever since. I can’t keep myself from pouring over the news reports and every scrap of information that comes through the House. I am sorry it is eating into our time.”

 

“Please don’t be,” Francesca smiled, “I will pray that your cousin is safe. I will not pretend to fully understand everything that is happening but I do read the newspaper and from what I read, Wellington is in control of the situation. I am sure that his men will be safe.”

 

John smiled and took Francesca’s arm into the crook of his elbow, “Thank you,” he said softly, “I am sure that I am worrying over nothing but we are as close as brothers and I can’t help it.”

 

“I understand completely,” Francesca replied, “Last season, my sister Eloise was very unwell and Anthony sent her back to Aubrey Hall. I was so worried I hardly slept for weeks. I think it is something about siblings, you will always worry about them no matter what is going on.”

 

“That is very true Miss Bridgerton,” John smiled before they turned the conversation to lighter topics.

 


 

“Do you think Lord Kilmartin will propose?” Hyacinth asked as Francesca and Kate returned to Bridgerton House later that afternoon, “I think another wedding would be fun.”

 

“I don’t know,” Francesca replied, “And let Edwina have her wedding before you start talking about anyone else getting married.”

 

“If Lord Kilmartin did propose,” Hyacinth persisted, “Would that mean you would have to go and live in Scotland?”

 

Anthony straightened out his paper aggressively at Hyacinth’s comment, huffing slightly as the two girls continued speaking. Francesca looked over at Anthony, who was hiding his face behind the paper he was clutching in a death grip.

 

“He hasn’t said anything yet,” Francesca replied, “And like I said, Edwina’s wedding is happening very soon. Are you not excited about that?”

 

Hyacinth happily chatted about Edwina’s wedding for a while longer before tiring of the subject and skipping out of the room. 

 

Seeing that they were alone, Francesca turned to Anthony, “PapaAnt, I do like Lord Kilmartin," she said softly, "If he came and spoke with you, would you let him marry me?"

 

"You'll be going to live in Scotland though," Anthony pointed out with a slight frown as he lowered his paper, "Are you sure that is what you want?"

 

"I thought all that business with the Scots was sorted now?" Francesca commented, "And anyway, Kilmartin isn't in the Highlands proper, so it's not like there's some warring clans outside the gates."

 

Anthony smiled, "That's not what I meant," he replied, "It's just, you will be so far away Frannie. We all live within a few days of each other at most and you’ll be weeks away. What if something happens or you need one of us?”

 

“PapaAnt,” Francesca sighed, “You’re being silly. Lord Kilmartin spends a lot of time in Parliament so he spends a lot of time in London; I would simply join him here.”

 

“And when Parliament isn’t in session you will be in Scotland,” Anthony concluded, “And it is so far away.”

 

Francesca rolled her eyes, “But if he came and had a conversation with you,” she pressed, “Would you turn him away or not?”

 

“Will you be happy with him?” Anthony asked seriously.

 

“I will,” Francesca smiled.

 

“Then how could I turn him away,” Anthony replied, “If he asks then I will not refuse him. Even if it does mean losing you to the wilds of Scotland.”

 

Francesca laughed, “I’ll miss you too PapaAnt,” she said softly, “But he has not asked yet.”

 

Anthony stood and pulled Francesca into a hug, “I’m sure he will,” he said softly, “And I’ll stop sulking about it, I promise.”

 

Francesca beamed up at the man she considered her father, “Love you PapaAnt,” she smiled before slipping out of the room to prepare for the evening’s ball.

 


 

“I’ve told Frannie I will accept Kilmartin if he asks for her hand,” Anthony stated as he joined Kate in her sitting room, “She confronted me about him earlier.”

 

Kate resisted the urge to laugh, “I thought she might do soon enough,” she replied, “Does that mean you are going to stop sulking about her potential move to Scotland?”

 

“I told her I would,” Anthony replied, “It feels different than when Hastings married Daphne,” he admitted after a while.

 

“Daphne was older,” Kate pointed out, “Frannie is in her first season but she is ready for this. I have been sat with them during every call and she lights up when she sees him and he isn’t much better. I can’t say I’m too happy about sending her off to Scotland but she is so happy with him Ant,” Kate paused, “And I don’t think she would ever forgive us if the only reason you objected was because she would be going to Scotland.”

 

“I know she wouldn’t,” Anthony replied, “But, she did point out that he is quite active in Parliament so they would be here for six months of the year at least.”

 

“And Kilmartin House is only around the corner,” Kate stated, “And we hardly see Daphne in the off season now she is married; I know Clyveden is a lot closer than Scotland but we don’t see her and Simon from one season to the next.”

 

“And are you ready to say the same about Eddie?” Anthony asked.

 

“I’ll have to be,” Kate replied, “She does get married in three days after all.”

 

“And then will only be moving to Oxford,” Anthony sulked, “Not bloody Scotland.”

 

“But still will not be under our roof,” Kate retorted, “Or with Mama. And Oxford is still the best part of a day away.”

 

Anthony sighed, knowing that Kate was correct and he was being ridiculous. Kate smiled as she noticed Anthony deflate and knew that between her and Francesca they had won him around to Fran becoming the next Countess of Kilmartin.

 


 

The following day, Anthony left Bridgerton House early in the morning and returned just before tea with Gregory, fresh from his first year at Eton. 

 

“Gregory!” Kate exclaimed as the gangly fourteen year old entered the house, “Oh come here! You have gotten so big!”

 

“MamaKate,” Gregory smiled, hugging his pseudo-mother tightly, “I’ve missed you.”

 

“I’ve missed you too, my darling boy,” Kate said softly, kissing the top of his head, “Come on, let’s take tea and you can tell me everything about school.”

 

“Gregory!” Eloise and Francesca cheered as he entered the room, the young boy soon was swept up in the loving mothering of the women of the house. 

 

Hyacinth came running down the stairs as she heard the commotion, before bounding into the drawing room to reunite with her partner in chaos. Soon the two youngest Bridgerton siblings were sitting on one of the couches, plotting together to the slight concern of everyone else in the room. 

 

“I’ve missed you,” Hyacinth said softly, “But if you tell anyone I’ll deny it.”

 

“Missed you too,” Gregory replied with a grin before nudging Hyacinth so that she would drop her biscuit causing them to fight over the last remaining few on the plate.

 


 

“Your father would be so proud,” Mary smiled as she and Kate helped Edwina prepare for her wedding, “Mr Bagwell is a lovely young man and you will be very happy as a scholar’s wife.”

 

“I will be,” Edwina smiled, “Nicholas is already talking about a new project that I can help him with; I will be able to spend my time reading all my favourite philosophers, it is all so exciting.”

 

Kate chuckled, “Well, rather you than me,” she smiled, “But I’m sure you will enjoy it.”

 

Edwina smiled as she smoothed down the front of her gown, “Is the carriage ready?” she asked, “It is nearly time to leave.”

 

Mary and Kate walked Edwina down the stairs to the waiting Anthony who held out his arm for his sister and walked her out of Bridgerton House for the last time as Miss Sheffield.

 

Two hours later, the wedding party returned to Bridgerton House to celebrate the marriage of Mr and Mrs Bagwell. Edwina shone as she danced with her new husband and soon the newlyweds were leaving for their honeymoon, a few weeks at Lord Astley’s country estate in Hertfordshire before returning to their Oxford townhouse to start their new life. 

Notes:

So, it turns out 1815 is quite happy for the Bridgertons. We’ve got new babies, marriages and potential proposals. I think they deserve it after the antics of 1814! Next up - another Bridgerton baby and the first appearance of the Merry Rake 😁

Chapter 13: Chapter Eleven - 1815 : Part Three

Notes:

Thank you once again for all the love you are all showing my little story! Here we are, the end of the 1815 season. This whole season has been far too fluffy for my liking and the angst will be back in the next few chapters, I don’t know how to write a story without it!

I think it might take me a little longer to put up the next chapter, I have a few things I want to research before I start but I won’t keep you all waiting too long.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Penelope was sitting in her bed, rubbing her large stomach as Kate and her mother prepared the room for the birth. She had been experiencing pains for a few days but had been assured by the older two women that she was not yet in childbirth and the pains she had been experiencing were normal. 

 

“Can I come in?” Colin asked, sticking his head around the partially open door, “Or is this ladies only from now on?”

 

“You can come in,” Kate replied, “We’ll be downstairs, you know when to call for us Penelope.”

 

Colin slipped onto the bed next to Penelope, “How are you?” he asked softly, his own hand joining hers on her stomach, “Do you need anything?”

 

“I’m fine,” Penelope replied with a smile, “But I do need to tell you something.”

 

Colin nodded, “Do you know the money, the inheritance that  you found in Mama’s books,” she began, “It wasn’t really an inheritance.”

 

Colin frowned, “What do you mean?” he asked, “And should you be worrying about this right now?”

 

“It is my money,” Penelope said quickly, “And my dowry, that was my money too.”

 

Colin frowned again, “What do you mean?” he asked.

 

“Lady Whistledown,” Penelope said quietly, “That’s where the money came from.”

 

“Wait, Pen!” Colin laughed, “How did I not guess that? Of course it was you!”

 

“You’re not angry?” Penelope asked softly, “About all the things I have said about people and the lies about the money?”

 

“Why would I be angry?” Colin asked, “I don’t like some of the things you’ve said about yourself but you’ve never lied about anyone. How much money are we talking about?”

 

Penelope smiled faintly, “Well, you’ve seen how much Mama inherited and you know the amount of my dowry but left over from that there is still several thousand pounds. My Papa’s solicitor has it, he helped me set everything up and he has been keeping the money until I knew what I wanted to do with it.”

 

“So why are you telling me now?” Colin asked, “I don’t care about it, you can keep it with the solicitor or you can start to spend it as you like. Be the best dressed woman in the Ton if you like, buy all of Hatchards to fill our library. I honestly don’t care.”

 

“I’m telling you because childbirth is dangerous,” Penelope replied seriously, “You need to know about it because it will become yours, I think it probably already is yours, but Papa’s solicitor knows to grant you access if anything were to happen to me.”

 

Colin paled, “Don’t say that,” he said seriously, “You will be fine. Do not wish that on yourself.”

 

Penelope nodded, Colin kissed her softly before easing himself off the bed, “I’ll go back down,” he said as he stood, “Get your rest, I’ll see you tomorrow.”

 


 

The following day Colin found himself in Whites with his brothers and Simon as Penelope laboured to bring their first child into the world. 

 

“Have another,” Simon said softly, pushing a glass of whisky in front of the younger man, “Kate or Lady Featherington will send word when you are needed. I’m not going to lie, it doesn’t get any easier.”

 

Colin smiled slightly, “Pen was so unwell at the start,” he confided, “I’m worried it will make the birth difficult.”

 

“She will be fine,” Anthony added from his other side, “She has been fine the last few weeks so it should all be well.”

 

Colin raised his glass in a toast before knocking back the amber liquid, “I have money on having another niece,” Benedict grinned as he downed his own drink, “I don’t think we need yet another Mr Bridgerton running around just yet.”

 

Simon laughed, “There’s more than enough of you thank you very much,” he agreed.

 

A few hours later a messenger arrived for Colin, summoning him back to Bruton Street to meet his son. 

 

“We have a nephew,” Kate smiled as Anthony and Benedict returned to Bridgerton House, “George Anthony Bridgerton. Both mother and baby are fine and Colin is besotted; give it a few days and then we should go and visit.”

 

Over in the house on Bruton Street, Colin sat next to a dozing Penelope with his newborn son cradled in his arms, “I love you both,” he whispered, “And you,” he directed to his son, “Had better inherit your Mama’s brain, she’s brilliant you know.”

 


 

A few days later Anthony was in his study reviewing the ledgers whilst Kate entertained callers in the parlour. He was brought out of his musings by a knock on the study door, calling for the person to enter. Anthony stood to greet his guest.

 

“Lord Bridgerton,” John greeted the older man warily, “Could I beg for a moment of your time?”

 

Anthony stood and gestured for the other man to take a seat, “How can I help you Lord Kilmartin?” he smiled.

 

“I think you may know,” John offered, “But, I have been courting Miss Francesca all season and I would like to offer for her hand in marriage.”

 

Anthony nodded, “I thought this was coming,” he admitted, “I will not insult you and ask if you are able to keep Francesca in the way she is used to but you must understand that I have some reservations about her moving so far away.”

 

John nodded, “I am committed to various commitments in Parliament,” he replied, “I will be spending a lot of time in town to deal with that and I had hoped that Francesca would be here with me.”

 

Anthony nodded, “I have no real objections,” he offered, “But I do not presume to know my sister’s mind. If you wish to speak with her then know you do so with my blessing.”

 

John smiled and exhaled, “I thought that was going to be much more difficult,” the younger man confessed with a laugh, “My mother and Aunt would like to host you and Lady Bridgerton and Miss Francesca, of course, at Kilmartin House for dinner to celebrate the engagement.”

 

“We would be delighted to accept,” Anthony replied, “Have your mother send the details to Lady Bridgerton when all is sorted with Francesca.”

 


 

Four days later at Lady Norbury’s ball there was an atmosphere of unrestrained excitement, the news had been received that the Duke of Wellington and his army had finally defeated Napoleon and the champagne was flowing liberally as the Ton celebrated the end of a very long running war. 

 

“Isn’t it such good news?” Francesca grinned as she stood with John by the refreshments.

 

“It is,” John replied with a small smile.

 

“Have you heard of your cousin?” Francesca asked, sensing John’s worries.

 

“Not yet,” he replied, “And I have heard that casualties are high. I am glad that it is all over but I don’t think I will be truly happy until Michael is home.” 

 

“Does he live at Kilmartin too?” Francesca asked

 

“He has his own establishment but it is on the grounds,” John replied, “I really do think you will get along with him but he will not be living with us.”

 

Francesca giggled, “That isn’t why I was asking,” she clarified, “I just wondered if I would get to know him in the off season, when we retire to Scotland.”

 

John smiled and held out his hand to escort Francesca to the floor as the band struck up a waltz. 

 

Two days later, John and Francesca were promenading in Hyde Park when Helen Stirling came rushing up to them holding her skirts as she almost ran to the young couple, “John!” she grinned, “I’ve had news, Michael is coming home!”

 

John grinned and grabbed his aunt’s hands, “And he is well?” he pressed.

 

“He says so,” Helen replied, “Oh! He will be here in time for your wedding, how lovely is that? I must go and sort his rooms.”

 

John smiled and laughed as Helen turned and walked back towards Kilmartin House at a much more sedate pace.

 

“You must be so happy now,” Francesca commented, “And I am looking forward to meeting him, he must have some very interesting stories.”

 


 

Two weeks later a battle-worn but alive Michael Stirling arrived at Kilmartin House, he had not received many letters from his cousin in the last few months but a combination of the war and John finally deciding to take up the duties of his position meant that the time for correspondence was scarce. 

 

Helen looked up as the butler announced their visitor and flew out of her chair into her son’s arms, her embroidery fluttering to the floor behind her, “Michael!” she exclaimed, “Oh, you are back in time!”

 

“In time for what?” Michael asked with a frown.

 

“John’s wedding of course,” Helen replied, “Did you not receive my letter? I wrote a few weeks ago to tell you; the wedding is tomorrow. John will be so happy that you have made it back on time.”

 

“John is getting married?” Michael repeated, “Who is the lucky lady?”

 

“Miss Francesca Bridgerton,” Helen replied as she guided Michael over to the sofa, “One of Viscount Bridgerton’s sisters. I think you will know one of her other brothers.”

 

Michael nodded as he helped himself to the tea which had just been provided by the footmen. Helen smiled at her son, “I am so happy you are home,” she said softly, “What are your plans now? Do you have to go back to the army?”

 

“I’m not sure,” Michael replied, “I will need to speak with John, but I could pay out my commission easily. I just need to decide what to do.”

 

“You’ll figure it out,” Helen soothed, smiling at her boy.

 


 

“Finally!” Eloise exclaimed as the butler ushered her into the parlour of Colin’s house on Bruton Street, “It has been too long since I have seen you Pen!” 

 

Penelope smiled, “How are you El?” she asked, “Tell me, what have I missed?”

 

“Just a lot of boring parties,” Eloise grumbled, “And Lord Fife keeps coming to call on me in the mornings; Kate thinks that it means something but I don’t.”

 

“It might do,” Penelope replied, “You would be Lady Fife, I hear that he has a handsome living each year and Fife House is quite grand.”

 

“You know I don’t want that though,” Eloise grumbled, “I can think of nothing worse than spending my day planning balls and having babies. Do you not get bored?”

 

“No!” Penelope laughed, “George keeps me entertained and Colin and I spend a lot of time together. Like I told you last season El; I have a lot more time and freedom now I am Mrs Penelope Bridgerton than I ever did as Miss Penelope Featherington. You would be awarded the same freedoms if you became Lady Fife.”

 

“Has he asked yet, or spoken with Anthony?” Penelope asked, “He must be thinking of it, he has been courting you all season.”

 

“I won’t be accepting him if he does,” Eloise retorted, “And Anthony better not give his permission, he made such a show of rejecting everyone but Simon for Daphne and then he goes and accepts the first person who asks for Frannie and I bet he does the same for me.”

 

Penelope sighed, “But Francesca loves Lord Kilmartin and really wants to marry him. I doubt Anthony will make you marry Lord Fife if you truly do not wish to do so; but think on it Eloise, it would be a good match.”

 

Eloise rolled her eyes but brightened slightly as the nursemaid brought baby George down to his mother, “How is my favourite nephew?” Eloise cooed as George reached for her nose.

 

“He is fine,” Penelope smiled, reaching across for her son, “Aren’t you my darling boy? I think he looks like Colin, don’t you?”

 

“I suppose,” Eloise replied, “I should go home, will you be at the Mottram ball tonight?”

 

“No,” Penelope shook her head, “I will be at Frannie’s wedding but I won’t be attending anything else for at least another month.”

 

“So I will be alone at all the upcoming balls?” Eloise groaned, “Is this what happens when you marry? You abandon all your friends?”

 

“I’m not abandoning you El,” Penelope sighed, “But I am still recovering from having George and it is not proper for me to be out again just yet.”

 

Eloise rolled her eyes again and left the house muttering all the time about her abandonment.

 


 

“How was Eloise?” Colin asked as he and Penelope ate their dinner that evening, “Did she stay long?”

 

“Only an hour,” Penelope replied, “She thinks that Lord Fife might propose before the end of the season.”

 

“I think he might,” Colin agreed, “He has admitted to being intrigued by El; and he wouldn’t still be paying calls every other morning if he wasn’t interested. Anthony would see it as a good match, there’s nothing I can think of that would stop her from accepting him.”

 

“She doesn’t want to,” Penelope said quickly, “I still don’t think she realises that she has been being courted all season.”

 

Colin rolled his eyes, “And what was her reason for not wanting to accept him?” he asked.

 

“She doesn’t want this,” Penelope replied, gesturing around them, “She doesn’t want to be tied down to being a wife and mother; she likes the freedom she has now. She can’t see that things would be better for her if she did become Lady Fife. I know Anthony is generous and her life doing the season is a lot better than mine was, especially with my Mama and all the problems we had after Papa died but she is still constrained as a single woman.”

 

Colin nodded, “Anthony is only generous up to a point,” he said, “He won’t force her to marry Fife if she truly doesn’t wish to do so but she is going to have to marry at some point.”

 


 

Francesca descended the stairs at Bridgerton House with a large smile on her face, Anthony was standing at the bottom with a proud look on his face.

 

“Are you ready?” he asked softly, escorting her to the waiting carriage.

 

“Yes,” Francesca beamed, before giving Anthony a sly look, “Are you?”

 

Anthony rolled his eyes, “As I’ll ever be,” he replied, “Come on, let’s get you married off.”

 

The two made the journey to St. George’s chapel in comfortable silence, as the carriage stopped outside the chapel, Francesca turned to Anthony, “Love you PapaAnt,” she said softly.

 

“Love you too Frannie,” Anthony replied, kissing her forehead softly, “Now come on, let’s get you married.”

 

An hour later, the family exited the chapel with the new Earl and Countess Kilmartin smiling brightly at the front of the party.

 


 

“Fran,” John smiled as he wrapped his arm around his new wife, “Come meet my cousin, Michael, he made it back from Flanders yesterday.”

 

“A pleasure to meet you Mr Stirling,” Francesca smiled, “I am glad that you have returned to us safe and well.”

 

Michael smiled at the beautiful woman he had just seen marry his cousin, “The pleasure is all mine, Lady Kilmartin,” he replied, kissing her hand softly, “I am only sorry it has taken me so long to meet you.”

 

“Well, I’m sure we have plenty of time to get to know each other,” Francesca smiled, “After the season ends we will all be in Scotland, no?”

 

“We will,” John agreed, “Now, Michael, go regale someone else with your stories of war.” Turning to Francesca John continued, “And we can go make our rounds before stealing away for our honeymoon.”

 

Francesca grinned, “I am so glad Anthony agreed to let us use Aubrey Hall,” she commented, “A week in the country will be perfect before the end of the season.”

 

“And then we can travel up to Scotland from there,” John smiled, “Michael and the Mothers will follow us from here.”

 


 

A few days following Francesca’s wedding, Anthony was enjoying a glass of brandy in Whites when Lord Fife approached him, “Lord Bridgerton, may I have a moment of your time?” the man asked, visibly nervous.

 

Anthony nodded and gestured to the open seat at his table, “How can I help Fife?” he asked, pouring the other man a brandy.

 

Fife took a deep breath, “I wanted to speak to you about Miss Eloise,” he replied, “As you know I have been getting to know her this season and I would like to offer for her hand in marriage.”

 

Anthony nodded, “And if I agree, would you be able to care for my sister in a way she is used to?” he asked, “Eloise is used to a certain standard of living Fife, would you be able to keep her in the  same fashion?”

 

“I would,” Fife replied, “I know my barony is not as old as some but I have a living of £4500 a year, I have no debts and no other dependants. Miss Eloise would be kept in the finest conditions and any children we may have would be well looked after and educated as befits gentlemen.”

 

Anthony nodded again, “I have no objections,” he replied after a short pause, “But I know my sister well enough to know that she makes her own decisions. If Eloise accepts then know you have my blessing but if not, then there is nothing I can do to make her.”

 

Fife nodded, “I understand,” he replied before standing to take his leave.

 


 

“I have enjoyed our discussions this season, Lord Fife,” Eloise said quietly, a few days later, as the man sat on the opposite sofa from her own, “But I think we have been at cross purposes. I thought that we were friends, that you were enjoying our conversations but knew I did not wish to marry.”

 

Fife nodded, “I do not wish to make you uncomfortable, Miss Bridgerton,” he replied, “But I could not return to the country without making myself known to you. If this is not what you want, I will take my leave now and we will not speak of this again.” 

 

“It is not what I want,” Eloise repeated, firmly, “Thank you for your time this season Lord Fife but I think it is best we part as friends now.”

 

Fife stood and bowed slightly to Eloise before leaving Bridgerton House for the last time. 

 


 

“Talk to her,” Kate hissed as the family prepared for their return to the country at the end of the season, “She told Lord Fife that she does not want to marry, did she mean just him or in general?”

 

“How should I know that?” Anthony replied, “She won’t talk to me anyway, you try when we get back to Aubrey Hall. Or maybe Penelope can get to the bottom of it when they come to visit at Christmas.”

 

Kate rolled her eyes but settled for ushering the children into the carriages, “PapaAnt,” Hyacinth chirped from his side, “Can I start riding out with you and MamaKate in the mornings when we go back to Aubrey Hall? I have gotten so much better now, and I have left the nursery now.”

 

“I’ll speak to the grooms,” Anthony promised, “But only if they say you are good enough.”

 

Hyacinth beamed and skipped over to the carriage to join her niece and nephews, Gregory following as the two would use the journey to plot something or other to entertain the rest of the family when they all arrived. 

 

“It is odd,” Kate commented, “We only need the two carriages to go back now, we had all three bringing us here at the start of the season.”

 

“I know,” Anthony smiled, “But Ben has decided to go straight to Wiltshire and everyone else is settled elsewhere. Come on, we can enjoy the relative peace and quiet before they all descend for Christmas.”

 

Kate smiled and leaned into Anthony slightly as they watched their eldest children clamber over one another to be closest to the carriage window, “One of us better break that up before they start a war,” Kate sighed, “Should we let Gregory ride with us?”

 

“That will start a war!” Anthony laughed, “Leave it to me, we’ll be ready to leave soon enough.”

 

Ten minutes later, the carriages pulled out of Grosvenor Square, joining the throng of others making their way out of Mayfair for the country for the winter. 

Notes:

So there we have it, Francesca is married and the Merry Rake has returned! I spent some time researching gentlemen in the Regency army and found out that they could buy themselves in and out if they wanted. I can’t remember if Michael was in the army for much longer after Waterloo in the books so I’ve decided that he will be buying himself out of his commission and returning to civilian life with the end of the Napoleonic Wars. And Eloise has rejected Fife, he was never a serious prospect but she did turn down a number of proposals in the books and I wanted to work some of that in here. I’m a little torn with my characterisation of Eloise, she is not as brash in the books as she is in the show but at the same time, she is only 19 here and is chafing at the restraints society places on women and she can’t understand that for many women of her class, marriage was freedom. And this chapter marks the end of Whistledown, just in case anyone was wondering - I know I haven’t really mentioned it but I just couldn’t work out how to get it in and so I decided it wasn’t as big a plot point as it is in canon.

Chapter 14: Chapter Twelve - 1816

Notes:

Thank you once again for all your reads, kudos and comments ❤️

This chapter covers the off-season after the end of the 1816 season; we last left the family at the end of the 1815 season and I did not have anything planned for the 1816 season so I’ve made the decision to skip a year to help move things along. The positions with the family have not changed in regards to the couples etc. but we finally have the long awaited meeting of Benedict and Sophie - I have changed Sophie’s prospects here and I hope you like what I am doing. I have also taken the book version of the familial relationship with Marina, in that she is a distant cousin of the Bridgertons (on Violet’s side) and not a relation of the Featheringtons. She won’t really be playing a huge part in this fic, but she is a useful vehicle for helping introduce people to each other.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Benedict smiled to himself as he reviewed the canvas he had been painting, the orchard at the end of his manicured lawns at My Cottage provided the perfect landscape for him to practice his craft. He had taken possession of the oddly named property a few years previously but hadn’t spent too much time there since starting at the Royal Academy. 

 

After spending so many years in the chaos of Bridgerton House and Aubrey Hall, the peace and quiet of My Cottage was very refreshing. Just as he was about to dive back into his painting, Mrs Crabtree, the housekeeper came onto the patio, “You asked me to remind you when it was tea time, Mr Bridgerton,” she said, “You need to get ready for dinner at Romney Hall.”

 

Benedict sighed, he had forgotten about the dinner his distant cousin had invited him to. He had forgotten about the relationship before he had moved to Wiltshire but it seemed that the woman’s father had remembered their kinship with the Ledger family and an invitation had been issued by Lady Crane to introduce her distant cousin to the notable families in the area. 

 

A few hours later, Benedict was exiting his curricle outside of Romney Hall; the home of the Crane family was relatively large and Benedict’s was not the only carriage pulling up in the large driveway. 

 

“Cousin Benedict,” Marina Crane smiled as he entered, “Welcome to Romney Hall; how are you finding the country?”

 

“Cousin Marina,” Benedict smiled, happy he could now place the woman he had met a handful of times as a child, “It is a lot quieter than London it has to be said but I am enjoying the peace. It is giving me plenty of time to concentrate on my art.”

 

“Oh an artist!” Marina exclaimed, “You will come as an excellent addition to our little set here. Now come, I must introduce you to our nearest neighbours, the Earl of Penwood and his family.”

 

Benedict soon found himself brought over to a middle-aged couple and a young girl who looked to be around Daphne’s age, “Lord Penwood,” Marina smiled, “Let me introduce my cousin, Mr Benedict Bridgerton, he has just taken over the estate at Purton and I’m introducing him to everyone in the local area.”

 

Benedict smiled at Lord and Lady Penwood, “Mr Bridgerton,” Lord Penwood nodded, “And this is my ward, Miss Sophia Beckett.”

 

Benedict smiled at the petite blonde woman who seemed very stiff sat next to the older couple. She blushed and looked down at her hands which were placed in her lap.

 

By luck, or Marina’s design, Benedict found himself sat with Sophia at dinner, “Lady Crane said that you were an artist,” Sophia offered, “What kind of art do you paint?”

 

“A little bit of everything,” Benedict replied, “I am still studying at the royal academy at the moment, working on different things. What about you, Miss Beckett, do you get up to anything interesting here in the country?”

 

“Oh not really,” Sophie blushed, “Just the usual, my cousins have a large parkland and I do enjoy riding.”

 

“Are you ever in London?” Benedict asked, “I feel like we would have been introduced but I do not think we ever have been.”

 

“I do not go to London,” Sophie replied, “My cousins do not travel to town and I am content here in the country. Do you spend much time in London?”

 

“Most of the season,” Benedict replied, “The Royal Academy is in London and my family enjoy the season.” 

 

“I have never experienced the season,” Sophie admitted, “What is it like?”

 

“Well, my sisters tell me it is very different for young ladies,” Benedict smiled, “But I enjoy it.” The two then passed the rest of their turn talking about the season and its benefits. 

 


 

On their journey home Sophie sat in the Penwood carriage as her cousins chatted about the dinner party they had just left.

 

“Mr Bridgerton seemed interesting,” Lady Penwood commented, “Didn’t you think so Sophia?”

 

“He did,” Sophie replied, “But he spends a lot of time in London so it is silly even thinking about him.”

 

“There is nothing to stop you having a season,” Lady Penwood pointed out, “You are a ward of the Earls of Penwood, it wouldn’t be too untoward.”

 

“Araminta will be in London,” Sophie said quietly, “She would make a scene.”

 

Lady Penwood scoffed, “Let her try,” she muttered, “That woman needs to remember her place.”

 

“Leave it,” Lord Penwood stated firmly, “And Mr Bridgerton is a second son, I’m sure we can aim a little higher. You are a ward of the Earl of Penwood, a cousin of the line, if you are going up to London then we will look for you a first son.”

 


 

Benedict returned to My Cottage that evening thinking about the intriguing young woman he had met that evening. For all he hadn’t been looking forward to the evening, it had been an interesting dinner party and Benedict was thinking of reasons to meet Miss Beckett again.

 

She had been introduced as a ward of the Earl but Benedict had not spent his entire life in society to not realise how things were coded for polite company. She was clearly either the current or late Earl’s by-blow who was being raised as a distant relative to spare the Countess’ blushes; he decided to see what else he could find out about the Penwoods before making any decisions.

 


 

Hyacinth grinned as Anthony led her out of the stables on her brand new horse, Diamond. Anthony had purchased the horse whilst the family had been in London for the season and tasked the grooms to train her for Hyacinth’s thirteenth birthday. 

 

“Come on,” Anthony smiled, “We’ll go over to the low ridge and back so you can see how you handle the horse.”

 

“This is the best present ever PapaAnt!” Hyacinth cheered, “I didn’t think I could ever have my own horse. Do I look like a proper lady?”

 

“You do,” Anthony laughed, “If you manage well enough you can start coming out with Kate and I in the mornings.”

 

Hyacinth’s eyes grew large, “Really!” she exclaimed, “I will be the best horsewoman ever!”

 

Anthony laughed again and the pair took off at a slow trot out across the vast estate. 

 

Two hours later, the pair returned to the house and Hyacinth was bouncing with excitement, “MamaKate!” she announced, bouncing into the parlour where Kate was sitting with Eloise, “PapaAnt says that I can come riding with you in the mornings!”

 

Eloise scoffed and stood before leaving the room, she still was not comfortable with the casual way Hyacinth referred to Anthony and Kate as parents but had learned over the years to ignore the nicknames as she seemed to be the only sibling who felt that way.

 

“We went all the way to the low ridge,” Hyacinth continued, “And PapaAnt said I looked like a proper lady on my horse. Did you know I have my own horse now? She is called Diamond and she is beautiful!”

 

Kate smiled indulgently, “I did,” she replied, “I’m glad you like her. Now go on up and change out of your riding clothes and then your governess is waiting.”

 

Hyacinth rolled her eyes but skipped out of the room, still floating with happiness at the morning she had spent with her parents. 

 


 

“So, is Hyacinth really joining us in the morning?” Kate asked that evening as the couple relaxed after dinner, “Or has she done her usual trick of presenting it as a done deal before we can object?”

 

Anthony laughed into his glass of whisky, “A bit of both,” he admitted, “If we only have a short ride she will be fine with us. I can’t see it lasting longer than a week or so anyway, she won’t enjoy the time we go out.”

 

Kate laughed then, “That worked for Frannie,” she agreed, “Did you see the letter from her that arrived today?”

 

“I did,” Anthony smiled, “It is a shame she will not be joining us all for Christmas but it is quite a distance to travel, especially at this time of year. Did you speak with Eloise?”

 

“I don’t know how to go about approaching it,” Kate admitted, “If it was just Lord Fife she was opposed to it might be easier but I honestly don’t think she wishes to marry at all; this last season she hardly participated at all.”

 

Anthony sighed, “I suppose if she truly does not wish to marry it would be possible,” he admitted, “Her dowry would be sufficient to live on and we have a number of cottages that she could take over when she is a little older. I would make sure she is taken care of and I know Ben and Colin would do the same.”

 

“It just feels like she is giving up if she announces herself as a spinster now,” he continued after a short pause, “She is only twenty; she is hardly the eldest girl in town and she has a lot going for her. I did hope that seeing Daph, Penelope and Frannie marry it might help change her mind.”

 

“I don’t know if it had the opposite effect,” Kate pondered, “She has always set herself as Daphne’s opposite; seeing her flourishing as a Duchess might have hardened her position. I might talk with Penelope when she and Colin arrive for Christmas, see if Eloise has said anything to her.”

 

Anthony nodded, “Colin has written, they will be here from the first week of December so maybe we wait until they arrive.”

 


 

Kate frowned as she entered Anthony’s study a few weeks later, “Do you know where Hyacinth is?” she asked as Anthony looked up from his desk, “We were meant to be having tea with Eloise and she isn’t here.”

 

“I think I heard her mention something about going riding earlier,” Anthony replied, “Check with the stables, one of the grooms should be with her and there will be some kind of note of where they planned to go. They can’t have gone too far, she’s not that confident yet and at this time of year it is too wet to travel too far.”

 

Half an hour later Kate flew into the study again, “There are no grooms out on a ride,” she cried, “But Diamond is missing and the stable boys said that they saw Hyacinth taking her out this morning but she hasn’t come back. They thought one of us was meeting her and so didn’t think of saying anything to us. Looking at the time she took Diamond it is when I usually go on a morning ride but I decided it was too wet this morning.”

 

Anthony swore and stood, “I’ll saddle Thunder and start to check, the south side of the house would be a slightly better ride at this time of year so I’ll go that way first. If she comes back before I do then ride out that way and find me.”

 

Kate nodded and the two rushed down to the stables.

 


 

It was an hour later when Anthony caught a glimpse of Diamond, he tied the horse to a tree and started his search on foot. He soon came across the crumpled form of his youngest sister and ran to her side. The young girl was shivering and was half-conscious; her left arm at an odd angle to the rest of her body.

 

“Hy!” Anthony cried as he gathered her into his arms, “It’s OK, I’ve got you. PapaAnt’s here now, it’s all going to be fine.”

 

He managed to haul Hyacinth onto his horse and climbed up behind her, wrapping his arm around her waist as he pushed the horse the quickest way he could back to the house. 

 


 

Anthony sat at the side of Hyacinth’s bed as they waited for the doctor to arrive, the young girl had woken when Kate and a maid had taken her out of her riding habit and wrapped her in warmed linens and was now whimpering in pain as she sat in the bed with pillows propped around her.

 

“That arm is broken,” the doctor announced as he examined Hyacinth, “I will need to set the bones, Lord Bridgerton, can you?”

 

Anthony nodded and handed Hyacinth a leather strap, “Bite down on this,” he instructed as he turned her head towards him, “And keep your eyes on me. Do not look anywhere else but at my face. Do you understand Hy?”

 

Hyacinth nodded and clung to Anthony’s hand with her good hand, biting strongly on the strap as Anthony used his free hand to tilt her head and cover her eyes. He nodded at the doctor and leaned over towards Hyacinth to shield her from the sight.

 

Hyacinth screamed as the doctor manipulated her arm, she clung to Anthony’s hand as he ran his thumb along her forehead to sooth her. 

 

“Keep her warm to reduce the possibility of fever,” the doctor instructed, “And I have left some laudanum for her to take for the pain.”

 

“Laudanum,” Anthony repeated, “She is a child, is that safe?”

 

“In small doses yes,” the doctor replied, “I will be back in three days to check on the arm. If her fever spikes in the meantime, send for me.”

 


 

“I’ll sleep on the chair in her room tonight,” Anthony said as he and Kate had tea, “The doctor prescribed laudanum and I don’t want her to be on her own when she first takes it.”

 

Kate nodded, “I’ll send up two trays with dinner,” she promised, “And then we’ll sort out a rota to keep her entertained. Eloise is here so that helps and Colin and Penelope will be joining us in the next few days.”

 

“Penelope can’t go in until we are certain there is no fever,” Anthony stated, “I’ll speak to Colin when they arrive.”

 

Kate nodded, knowing it would be pointless to argue with Anthony about the pregnant Penelope entering Hyacinth’s room until they were certain the danger of a fever had passed. The spectre of their own dead baby, Anne, still hung over them when any fever was mentioned.

 


 

Colin ushered Penelope into the drawing room the following morning, “Where is everyone?” he asked Eloise who was sat frowning at her book.

 

“Hyacinth’s room,” Eloise replied, turning to her friend with a grin, “Anthony wants to speak to Colin so we can catch up, Pen!”

 

Penelope smiled and helped herself to the tea brought in by the butler, “George has started walking now,” she grinned, gushing to her friend about their son, “And he can say Mama and Papa.”

 

Colin slipped out of the room as the two women gushed over his son and made his way to Hyacinth’s room, frowning at the fact his brother was clearly camped out there, “Anth,” he said softly, standing at the open door not wishing to disturb the small girl who looked to be asleep, “Eloise said you wanted to speak when I arrived?”

 

Anthony nodded and waved Colin into the room, “She fell from a horse yesterday,” he offered by way of explanation, “It was hours before we realised she was out, her arm is broken and we’re watching for a fever.”

 

“So you want me to keep Pen out of the way,” Colin concluded, “At least until you know if she has a fever.”

 

Anthony nodded, “The doctor will be back in a few days and if he gives the all clear then Pen can come in but I don’t want to risk it before then.”

 

Colin nodded, “I know,” he smiled, “So, how bored is Hyacinth?”

 

Anthony laughed, “Not too much at the moment,” he replied, “She has been sleeping most of the time but give it a week and we’ll all be going mad!”

 


 

Penelope sat with Kate in the sun room of Aubrey Hall, her hand absently rubbing her now six-month baby bump. 

 

“You look well Penelope,” Kate smiled, “A lot better than last time around.”

 

“I feel it this time,” Penelope smiled, “You said that you wanted to speak with me about something? Is it about Hyacinth?”

 

“No,” Kate replied, easing Penelope’s worries, “It is about Eloise though.”

 

Penelope frowned and gestured for Kate to continue, “She has said a few things, about her wishes to never marry and after she rejected Lord Fife last season I just want to understand what she is thinking.”

 

Penelope nodded, “I can’t pretend to understand her fully but she has mentioned in several letters to me that she believes marriage will constrict her freedom and she worries that if she did marry, her husband would remove her from London and she would never see all of us again. She has complained several times that she does not see me as much as she would like now Colin and I have our own establishment.”

 

Kate sighed, “So it is marriage in general she is opposed to and not just Lord Fife,” she surmised, “Have you said anything to her?”

 

“Oh plenty,” Penelope nodded, “I have explained to her how I have so much more freedom now I am Mrs Bridgerton and how it would be the same for her but she has told me that Anthony allows her a lot of freedom and she would lose some rather than the other way around. I know my Mama is very particular and she forced my sisters and I to dance with every eligible man she could find but even Anthony puts limits on Eloise, I just don’t think she realises.”

 

“I would think the events of the last few years would show her how strict Anthony can be,” Kate commented drily, “I don’t know what to do, she is declaring herself a spinster at 20 and I don’t know how we can change that.”

 

“But marrying in your first season like Fran did is so rare now,” Penelope replied, “I was 20 when I married Colin and in my second season, Daphne was in her third when she married Simon. If you really think about it, Eloise has only had two seasons and she was courted by Lord Fife for the majority of her first.”

 

“That is true,” Kate nodded, “I will speak to her later, there must be some other reason behind her decision not to marry.”

 


 

Eloise was in the nursery entertaining her niece and nephews when Kate found her, they had constructed some kind of fort and Edmund was playing the role of brave knight protecting his sister and aunt from the dragons, also known as a barely toddling Miles and George. 

 

“Mama! Mama!” Edmund shouted as Kate entered the nursery, “You must help! The dragons will set the princesses on fire!”

 

“Oh really!” Kate laughed, “Well we can’t have that can we?”

 

“You hold this,” Edmund directed, passing Kate a wooden sword, “And I will stand here to protect Princess Auntie Eloise and you can protect Princess Charlotte.”

 

Eloise smiled at Kate as the other woman took a seat close to her own position, “And just how did this happen?” Kate asked with a grin.

 

“Penelope is with Hyacinth, trying to get her to do some translations so I volunteered to keep the babies entertained. I planned on reading to them but we started building a fort to sit in and things escalated from there.”

 

Kate laughed, “Miles and George will need a nap shortly,” she commented, “And I think Charlotte could benefit from one too; we won’t be here much longer. Can we have a talk when we have worn them out?”

 

“Of course,” Eloise smiled, “I have written out a new schedule for entertaining Hyacinth with Benedict arriving in a few days and Daphne and Simon soon after that.”

 

“Hopefully, the doctors will let her move around a little from next week,” Kate commented, “Even if it is just to sit in the parlour or the library with us all, she will feel a bit better.”

 

As soon predicted, the young children wore themselves out with the rambunctious game they had been playing and Eloise and Kate slipped out of the nursery heading to the parlour. 

 

“What did you want to discuss?” Eloise asked as she passed Kate the small plate of biscuits that they had been provided.

 

“It is a little delicate,” Kate began, “But I wanted to talk about your prospects and why you are not wishing to marry. I do not want to judge you Eloise,” she rushed, “But I do want to understand, if I understand then I can help you plead your case to Anthony if it is needed.”

 

Eloise sighed and sank back against the cushions slightly, “Truthfully, I do not know,” she said eventually, “I worry that if I do marry then I will end up with someone who will take me far away and I will never see any of  you again. We hardly ever see Daphne since she married and Frannie is over a week away. Even when we are all in town it isn’t the same. Penelope keeps telling me that it isn’t as bad as I am making out but I have not met anyone that I could imagine leaving you all for.”

 

“Eloise,” Kate sighed, “I didn’t know what I was getting myself into when I married Anthony, not really. I had some grand ideas of spending time with all of you and being your friend and getting to know Anthony better but I’m sure you remember how difficult those first few years were.”

 

Eloise smiled ruefully, “We really were horrors, weren’t we?” she laughed.

 

“You were grieving children,” Kate replied, “But what I was trying to say is not all of us have a great love story when we dance with a man in a ballroom and promenade with him around Hyde Park. You use the time to see if you get along, then you spend time together and things develop. I did not love Anthony when I married him and he will tell you the same; that came later. We developed a friendship, we had similar goals for our marriage and that was enough. I’m sure Daphne, Fran and Penelope will tell you the same thing.”

 

“But what about babies?” Eloise said in a small voice, “I can still hear the screams from when Mama had Hyacinth and when you had all of your babies. It sounds so scary, Mama died after she had Hyacinth; she was never the same after that. It is all well and good saying that you become friends with a man and then love might develop but I am terrified of what comes with having babies.”

 

Kate grasped Eloise’s hand, “I won’t lie to you,” she said softly, “Childbirth is not without its dangers but whomever you do marry will have sufficient funds to ensure you have the best medical care to prevent anything from going wrong. Anthony will make sure that whomever asks for your hand will have sufficient coin to keep you in the way you are used to and I will be with you when that time comes.”

 

The two women sat quietly for some time before Kate continued, “I am not telling you to run away with the first man who shows you any attention next season, I am just asking that you give it a chance. You are only 20 Eloise, you are hardly a spinster yet; do not write yourself off so soon.”

 

Eloise nodded, sniffing slightly, “Thank you Kate,” she whispered, “For actually listening to me. If I don’t find anyone, will you truly help me with Anthony?”

 

“Of course,” Kate promised, “I’ll always be on your side in this.”

 


 

In no time at all the Hastings carriage pulled up outside of Aubrey Hall, Simon exited first and held out his hand to help Daphne down before reaching in and lifting their two small girls to the floor. Both girls stood on their wobbly toddler legs before a nurse appeared to whisk them away to the nursery and their cousins. 

 

A few hours after the Hastings arrival, Benedict jumped from his curricle and before anyone could blink, Edwina, Nicholas and Mary arrived as well, completing the party for the Christmas season. 

 

At dinner that evening, the extended family planned the numerous activities they could now partake in, now that they were together. 

 

“I vote for Pall Mall,” Eloise stated, “Penelope, Nicholas and Simon still haven’t experienced it yet.”

 

“It is too wet for Pall Mall,” Anthony replied, “We would spend half the time underneath the trees for cover. It would need to be something inside, and something that Hyacinth can enjoy too.”

 

Eloise rolled her eyes, “Urgh, fine,” she grumbled, “Then Wit and Charades. And Snapdragon, obviously.”

 

Kate smothered her laugh as the siblings all shouted over one another to decide teams for charades, Edwina joining in as always. The Christmas season and its emphasis on family truly brought out both the best and worst in the siblings and Kate was always thrown back into the first Christmases she spent with Anthony and the family when she had first been married, a houseful of excited and competitive children all vying for Anthony’s attention and by the noises coming from the proper, grown and married voices around the table, this had not changed in the nine years since she had first encountered a Bridgerton Christmas. 

 

The next few weeks passed in a blur of visits, parlour games and feasts culminating in a ball for the family and tenants on twelfth night. 

 

“I have missed this,” Kate said to Anthony as they danced, “It is such a shame that Fran and John could not make the journey and Gregory is stuck at school”

 

“I know,” Anthony replied, “But they will have some merriment at school, and I trust that even in Scotland they celebrate Christmas.”

 

“Anthony,” Kate laughed, “You know full well that they do, stop acting like she has gone to some unknown land. We are going up to visit before the season starts, hopefully you will stop fussing then.”

 

Anthony simply rolled his eyes as he spun Kate in the dance, “You know I can’t help it,” he said as they returned to their positions.

 

Kate laughed, “And we will have two new babies to celebrate in the new year,” she added, “Our little family keeps growing.”

 

Later in the evening, the Bridgerton brothers, Simon and Nicholas found themselves in the smoking room, “Edwina is with child,” Nicholas grinned as the men all sat, “She is telling Kate tonight, I see that our child will be in good company in the nursery Colin.”

 

Colin grinned, “Daphne is with child too,” Simon added, “It looks as though we will all be in for a busy few months.”

 

“Penelope is due by March at the latest,” Colin commented, “I think we will have to leave for Farnley Lodge in the next few days if we are to beat the worst of this weather.”

 

“Don’t be so ridiculous,” Anthony commented, “You and Penelope will just stay here until after the birth. The roads back to Farnley Lodge will be simply impassable at present, it is safer if you both stay here and return to Farnley when the babe is a few months old.”

 

Colin took a large gulp of his brandy, “Thank you,” he whispered, “I will talk with Pen, but she will more than likely want her mother here when the time comes.”

 

Anthony visibly grimaced when thinking of his brother’s mother-in-law, “I’m sure I can cope,” he muttered, “For a short period of time.”

 

Benedict and Simon both swallowed laughs, knowing Portia Featherington’s character, “Daphne is due just before the start of the season,” Simon added, “I’m not sure if we will be participating this year.”

 

“Edwina is due around the same time,” Nicholas confirmed, “We will be in Oxford but I assume she will want Lady Bridgerton present.”

 

The men spent the rest of the evening talking about their various business interests and the recent Parliamentary session before rejoining the ladies. Anthony caught Colin’s arm as they exited the smoking room, “I meant it,” he said seriously, “You and Penelope should stay here until she has the baby. It is no trouble for us and you have mentioned that you wanted to carry out some maintenance at Farnley; take advantage and stay here.”

 

Colin nodded, “I think we will,” he nodded, “The roads getting here were bad enough, with the amount of rain we have had since they will be terrible. Are you sure we will not be imposing?”

 

“You will not be,” Anthony assured him, “Stay here, get your maintenance done before everyone returns to town and when Kate and I travel up to see Fran, you and Pen can either head back to Farnley or head to town.”

 

“Thank you Anth,” Colin smiled, “I’ll send for some extra trunks in the next few days and we will stay.”

 

A few days into the start of 1817, the majority of the guests left Aubrey Hall for their own establishments leaving behind promises of correspondences and visits when they all returned to London in a few months for the start of the next season. 

 

Notes:

So there we have 1816 😊 next, we are onto 1817 and three upcoming babies! Just in case it wasn’t clear, the Earl and Countess of Penwood we are introduced to here are not Sophie’s father and Araminta - the full relationship will become clear in further chapters when the relationship between her and Benedict develops. Araminta will feature and she will be just as horrid as she is in the books but she is not in control of Sophie’s life and prospects as she is in the books as she has not been left with custody.

The angst is back in full force in 1817 so be warned! I should hopefully have the next chapter up in the next few days, the main plot of 1817 is another one that I have had written for a while so it will be published quicker!

Chapter 15: Chapter Thirteen - 1817 : Part One

Notes:

❗❗This chapter is very angsty - this is your warning - we get right into it from the off. This chapter talks about a difficult birth and the aftermath of that - I’ll put a summary in the end notes if you don’t want to read about this. ❗❗

This is a hard one and I don’t know where it came from but I did have a little cry writing parts of this.

I’m sorry and the next chapter will be up in a few days - it is already written and is a lot better than this one. I promise. ❤️

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Penelope screamed as she pushed her baby into the world, she had been struggling with labour for almost a day and she felt her energy draining out of her. Her mother and Kate had been at her side, urging her to push for hours. 

 

Suddenly with one last scream Penelope fell back against the pillows, exhausted and drifted into sleep. The midwife handed her baby daughter to Portia before looking back at the bed, “My Lady,” the woman said softly, “There is blood. Too much blood.”

 

Kate and Portia looked at each other in terror, “I will go and find Colin,” Kate said quickly before rushing out of the room. 

 

Portia nodded and held her newborn granddaughter closer, “Your Mama will be fine,” she whispered, “And your Papa will love you as soon as he sets his eyes on you.”

 

Colin burst into the room seconds later, “Pen!” he gasped, seeing the blood on the bed and his wife’s pale and exhausted face, “No,” he whimpered, “Pen ...”

 

“You have a daughter Colin,” Portia said softly, passing Colin the baby, “She’s perfect.”

 

Colin sank onto the edge of the bed, taking the bundle from Portia, “She is,” he smiled faintly, dropping a kiss on the baby’s forehead, “Just like her Mama.” He grabbed Penelope’s hand and balancing the baby carefully he kissed Penelope’s hand, “She just needs to wake up now,” he cried, “Please, Pen, please just wake up.”

 

Portia and Kate lifted the baby from Colin’s arms and passed her over to the waiting wet-nurse. Anthony stood behind Colin and helped him stand from the bed, “Come on,” he said softly, “Let them change the bed; we can wait outside.”

 

Colin let his brother lead him out of the room and heard the door close behind them when he broke, “Anth,” he sobbed, “Anth, she ... I ... I can’t ...”

 

Anthony grabbed Colin and pulled him into a strong hug, wrapping his arms around the younger man as Colin sobbed into his shoulder, “She’ll be fine,” he soothed, “You’ll see, she’ll be fine. And you’re both staying here until she is.”

 


 

Kate curled into Anthony’s chest as they lay in bed that evening, sobbing as he held her tightly, his own tears pooling in his eyes.

 

“I told Colin she would be fine,” Anthony whispered, “But I can’t promise that, can I?”

 

Kate sobbed harder as she shook her head, “The doctor seemed optimistic though,” she finally managed to reply, “I’ve never been so scared Anthony.”

 

“I know,” Anthony replied, “We need to keep things together for everyone though, Colin can’t see us like this.”

 

Kate took a deep breath and nodded, “Just like when we first married,” she said softly, “Promise me you won’t hide it all from me?”

 

“I promise,” he said softly, kissing the top of her head, “We’ll be fine; we’ll get through it.”

 

Kate burrowed herself into Anthony’s chest, screwing her eyes shut as she clung to him. Anthony’s arms tightened around her as his own tears fell. 

 


 

The following morning Anthony sent notes off to the rest of the siblings, urging them to return to Aubrey Hall as soon as possible and met Portia Featherington in the hallway instructing her own note to her daughters who were staying together at Philippa’s house in Brighton. 

 

“How is Penelope?” Anthony asked, “Has there been any change overnight?”

 

“No,” Portia replied faintly, “The doctor doesn’t think there will be any change for a while.”

 

Anthony nodded, “Have you seen Colin?” he asked.

 

“He went into the breakfast room,” Portia replied, “Lord Bridgerton, would it be too much trouble to have a tray? I don’t want to leave Penelope on her own for too long.”

 

“I’ll get them to send one up to you,” Anthony promised, heading towards the breakfast room. 

 


 

“You have killed my best friend,” Eloise said quietly, as she sat in the parlour with her brothers later that morning, “If you hadn’t married her and made her have a child, she would be fine.”

 

“Eloise,” Anthony said, the warning clear in his voice, “Stop talking about things you do not understand.”

 

“No!” Eloise shouted, “She is dying and it is all his fault!”

 

Colin sat on the sofa, staring blankly into the middle distance, “She’s not dead,” he said quietly, “She is not dead so stop willing her there.”

 

“Whatever you did to her, you made her have a child and now she’s dying,” Eloise spat, “I hate you.”

 

“That is enough!” Anthony thundered, “Stop acting like a child Eloise. What has happened to Penelope is a tragedy but it is not anyone’s fault. Colin is right, she is not yet dead so stop acting as though she is and stop acting like you are the only person in this house who cares for Penelope. You are not.”

 

Eloise flopped back onto her own sofa and huffed, “If you can’t behave like a civilised adult then remove yourself from the room,” Anthony said, “You are not helping this situation at all.”

 

“She’s my best friend,” Eloise repeated, “I should be here.”

 

“And she’s my wife!” Colin exploded, “She is my wife and that is my daughter! Just stop Eloise, please!” Colin turned his head and Anthony moved to his side, placing a strong hand on his younger brother’s shoulder half in support and half to prevent Colin’s temper from erupting. 

 

“Please just at least go for a walk Eloise,” Anthony said quietly, “We’re all overwrought and I think some space would be best.”

 

Eloise huffed again but stood and left the room, taking care to slam the door behind her.

 

“You really need to marry her off,” Colin said with a watery chuckle, “If only so she understands how this all came to be.”

 

Anthony snorted a small laugh, “If only she would consent to it,” he sighed as he dropped into a chair opposite Colin, “I’ve written to everyone by the way,” he offered, “I’d expect Ben within the next day or so and it wouldn’t surprise me if Daphne took the quickest carriage she could from Clyveden to get here.”

 

“Lady Featherington has sent for Prudence and Phillipa,” Colin replied, “Have you sent word to Fran?”

 

“I have,” Anthony confirmed, “But I wouldn’t expect her back if the worst does happen. I’ll only contact Greg when we know more too, there is nothing he can do from school; I’ve told Hyacinth to leave this out of any letters she sends in the next few days.”

 

Colin nodded, “Sorry we’re still here,” he mumbled, “We should have headed back to Surrey weeks ago, at the end of the Christmas season.”

 

“Don’t be so ridiculous,” Anthony scoffed, “I offered you the room until the birth, you couldn’t have taken the carriage back to Surrey in this weather anyway.” Anthony paused, “I’m glad you’re here and not stuck in Surrey on your own,” he said softly, “At least this way we’ll all be here if you need us.”

 

Colin nodded and sank back into the cushions, exhaling shakily, “El is right though,” he said softly, “If we hadn’t had Agatha then she wouldn’t be in this condition.”

 

“Don’t think like that,” Anthony replied softly, “You couldn’t know this would happen.”

 


 

Two days after the birth, a weakened Penelope woke and the house breathed a collective sigh of relief. 

 

Just as Anthony predicted, Benedict arrived the same morning. He had taken the swiftest horse he owned from Wiltshire and jumped from its back before practically running into the hallway. He entered the parlour and found Anthony reading the paper whilst Eloise sulked on one of the sofas. 

 

“Where’s Colin?” Benedict asked, “And how’s Penelope?”

 

“The doctor is here,” Anthony replied, “Colin’s upstairs with him and Penelope woke up this morning but she still seems weak.”

 

“Because Colin nearly killed her,” Eloise spat, “This is all his fault.”

 

Benedict frowned at Anthony in question and the older man shook his head, “And the baby?” Benedict asked.

 

“Another niece,” Anthony grinned, “She’s in the nursery, come, I’ll introduce you.”

 

“And that baby nearly killed Pen,” Eloise grumbled, as her brothers left the room.

 

Anthony rolled his eyes as the two left the parlour, “She’s been like that for the last two days,” Anthony stated as they climbed the stairs, “It’s easier to ignore her than engage. We’re just trying to keep her away from Colin and Lady Featherington.”

 

“She’s not said that to Colin?” Benedict gasped in shock, “Do you want me to take her back to My Cottage with me?”

 

“She did,” Anthony sighed, “She doesn’t understand, she can’t understand but she’s acting like Colin had control over all of this. I’ll see how things are in a few days, but she might be better going back with you; Colin and Penelope will be staying here for a while, she’s not going to be well enough to travel back to Farnley Lodge for a long time.”

 

Benedict shook his head, “You’ll have to get Kate to double down on marrying her off this season,” he joked.

 

“I know,” Anthony sighed, “But she’s fighting it all the time. And I don’t think this will have endeared her to marriage and childbirth.”

 

“Lord Bridgerton,” Portia smiled as Anthony and Benedict entered the nursery, “And Mr Bridgerton, have you come to meet Baby Agatha?”

 

Benedict smiled and moved over to the cradle which held his newest niece, “Hello Agatha, I’m Uncle Ben,” he smiled, picking up the baby, “I’m so very glad to meet you.”

 

“How’s Penelope?” Anthony asked Porta, as they moved to the other side of the nursery, “Is the doctor still with her?”

 

“He has just left,” Portia replied, “He seems to think that the worst is over but she will be weak for some time. She’s sleeping again now but the doctor seems to think that is fine.”

 

“I’ve told Colin they are welcome to stay as long as needed,” Anthony said, “The invitation is also open to you.”

 

“Thank you,” Portia smiled, “I think I may avail of your hospitality for a little while longer, at least until Penelope is out of immediate danger.”

 

Anthony nodded, “Are Mr and Mrs Finch and Miss Prudence coming?” he asked, “I know you wrote to them.”

 

“I think so,” Portia nodded, “I sent the letters when we thought the worst so I can imagine Phillipa and Prudence have insisted on coming as soon as they can. It is about a day’s carriage journey from the coast so they will probably arrive later today.”

 

“I will arrange for some rooms,” Anthony promised, “And Lady Featherington, I mean it, all of you are welcome for as long as you wish to stay.”

 


 

The Hastings carriage arrived a few hours after Benedict, Simon exited first as usual before helping Daphne from the carriage. Daphne rushed into the house as quickly as her own pregnancy would allow with Simon striding quickly behind her. 

 

Colin was coming down the stairs as Daphne entered and upon seeing his sister, rushed down the rest of the stairs. “Oh Colin,” Daphne sighed, pulling him into her arms, “How is Penelope?”

 

“She woke up this morning,” Colin replied, “Daph, I’ve been so scared.”

 

“I know,” Daphne replied, hugging her brother tighter, “But if she has awakened then that must be a good thing. Now, where is my newest niece?”

 

“Should you not sit down?” Colin asked, “You shouldn’t have rushed here.”

 

“Stop it,” Daphne scolded, “Simon has been bad enough, I’m not having you and Anthony start as soon as I arrive too. I will have some tea and then you can show me to the nursery.”

 

Simon rolled his eyes fondly at Colin from behind Daphne’s back and with years of practice, Colin hid his own smirk, “Come on then Your Grace,” he replied, leading the newest arrivals into the parlour.

 

Simon left the siblings in the parlour after a short while to find Anthony and as he left the room, Daphne turned to Colin, “How are you really?” she asked.

 

“I’m terrified,” Colin admitted quietly, “She has woken up now but she is still very weak; she has only been awake for an hour since the birth. I’m scared she will end up like Mama; do you remember the rages she used to have?”

 

Daphne nodded, “I’m scared what that will mean for George,” Colin continued, “I don’t know if I could watch Pen go through all that, like we had to with Mama.”

 

“And it must have been so much worse for Anth,” Daphne said softly, before looking at Colin directly, “Penelope will not end up like Mama but if she does then we will all help you. You will not be on your own Colin, I promise you.”

 

Colin grasped her hand in thanks, “Come on, I’ll introduce you to Agatha.” The two siblings stood and made their way to the nursery.

 


 

“Mama, where is Pellope?” Philippa Finch asked as Portia ushered her daughters and son-in-law into the parlour, “Is she...”

 

“She is upstairs, asleep,” Portia replied, “The doctor believes that the worst is over but she will probably be weak for some time.”

 

Both Philippa and Prudence sank back against cushions of the sofas they had been sitting on in relief, “Oh Mama, I have been so scared,” Prudence replied, grasping Philippa’s hand, “Can we see her?”

 

The sisters entered Penelope’s bedroom to relieve Kate who had been sitting with her for the morning, “Lady Bridgerton,” they greeted, “Can we ...”

 

“Of course,” Kate smiled, “I will check that your rooms are arranged. If she does wake, please ring the bell. She needs to take some broth when she can.”

 

The girls nodded and took their positions in vigil at the side of their sister’s bed, keeping close watch as the younger woman slept. 

 


 

Eloise was wandering around the gardens when Benedict found her, “El,” he called, “Come back inside will you, it is starting to rain.”

 

“Anthony told me I had to go for a walk,” she sulked, “So I am going for a walk.”

 

Benedict sighed, “He didn’t mean for you to walk the entire grounds in the rain for days on end,” he argued, “He just needed you and Colin to have some space.”

 

“She’s my friend,” Eloise sobbed as Benedict wrapped her in his arms, “I know she is Colin’s wife and they love each other but she was my friend first.”

 

“I know,” Benedict soothed, “But Colin is hurting as much, if not more than you are right now. You need to think before you say things like you have been doing. Have you seen baby Agatha yet?”

 

“I don’t want to,” Eloise replied, “I don’t want to see the baby because she might look like Pen and ...”

 

“Oh El,” Benedict sighed, “Agatha is a beautiful baby and Penelope has woken up.”

 

“So she is fine now then,” Eloise asked, “I can go and see her?”

 

“She is sleeping and is still very unwell,” Benedict replied, “It might be best if you can wait until she is a little stronger.”

 

“Why do I have to keep waiting?” Eloise grumbled, “Colin will have seen her.”

 

“Eloise,” Benedict chided, “Colin has seen her because he is her husband. Only her mother and sisters have been in otherwise, it is not your place, El. Come on, come back to the house and please try and keep calm.” 

 

“Do you think Colin will let me see Pen?” Eloise asked, as she walked with Benedict back towards the house.

 

“I’m not sure,” Benedict replied, “You can’t today, her sisters are sat with her now and three of you will be too much. Speak with Kate after dinner and see if they will let you go in tomorrow. But El, if Colin doesn’t want you there, or Anthony and Kate say you can not be there you have to accept it.”

 


 

As Benedict was talking to Eloise, Simon found Anthony and Colin in Anthony’s study. 

 

“How are you?” Simon asked as he accepted a glass of whisky from Anthony.

 

Colin took a shaky breath, “Things have been better,” Anthony replied for them both, “Penelope is awake now which makes things better.”

 

“That’s good then isn’t it?” Simon asked, trying to get Colin to engage in the conversation. Anthony and Simon looked at each other in concern, “How’s the baby?” Simon continued.

 

“She’s perfect,” Colin finally replied, “Agatha Emma Bridgerton; for Pen’s aunt and some book she enjoys. She still might not be alright,” Colin closed his eyes and exhaled shakily, “There was so much blood.”

 

“Col,” Anthony sighed, “You need to stop thinking like that, Penelope is fine.”

 

“I’m going up.” Colin stated, “Going to try and get some sleep, make sure they wake me if anything happens?”

 

Anthony nodded before slumping in his chair and turning to Simon, “How’s Daphne?” he asked.

 

“Fine,” Simon replied, “I would have liked to take an extra day, travel a little slower to get here but she wasn’t having any of it. How bad is it, really?”

 

“Bad,” Anthony replied, “Colin is right, she might be awake but she isn’t over the worst of it. And now I have a house full of Featheringtons.”

 

Simon snorted a laugh into his glass, “Daphne and I will stay for a week,” he offered, “But I want us in London after that, I’m not risking Daphne or the baby by travelling any later than that.”

 

Anthony nodded, “Edwina sent word back, she is staying in Oxford as she is due any day,” he added, “I need to find the words to tell Greg but ...”

 

“The Masters won’t let him home unless there is a funeral,” Simon finished, “There’s no point worrying him, send word when you know more.”

 


 

By the end of the week, Penelope had managed to stay awake for several hours a day and had some colour back in her face. The doctors still recommended that she stayed in bed until she was feeling a little stronger but they were now convinced that she would survive.

 

Penelope grasped Colin’s hand as he sat at her bedside, “How is the baby?” she asked, “I think someone told me, but I can’t remember.”

 

“She’s perfect,” Colin smiled, “I’ll bring her in tomorrow so you can meet her. Anth and Ben are already laughing at me, Anth swears I will end up spoiling her rotten.”

 

Penelope smiled, “We will have to sort things, we will need to head back to Farnley Lodge soon.”

 

“No, we won’t,” Colin replied, “Anthony has said we are to stay until you are well enough to cope with the journey. If that takes until the end of the season then so be it.” He leaned across to kiss Penelope softly, “I nearly lost you Pen, I’m not going to let that happen again so we will be staying here until you are fully recovered.”

 

Penelope smiled as Colin kissed her again before leaning his forehead on hers, “I love you Pen,” he whispered.

 

“I love you too Col,” she smiled back.

 

The rest of the household seemed lighter with the news of Penelope’s recovery and the visitors started making plans to return to their own properties before all meeting again in London for the season in a few weeks time, leaving Penelope to her convalescence in peace.

Notes:

For those who didn’t want to read the chapter - Penelope gives birth to Agatha but loses a lot of blood. She is unconscious for two days but survives and is very weak when she wakes up. Kate and Anthony struggle with the situation but know they have to keep up a brave face for the rest of the family and only cry when they are alone at night. Benedict, Daphne and Simon arrive to help pick up the pieces and give everyone a shoulder to cry on.

So, can I just say I’m sorry again! I hope I’ve done everyone justice here, Anthony and Kate being the strong supportive parental figures everyone needs whilst breaking down in private; Colin being worried and struggling to hold it all together and Eloise being equally as worried but not fully understanding how everything came to be which leads her to blame Colin for everything. Hyacinth and the rest children are not really mentioned, they will have realised something is wrong but with all the nursemaids, nannies and governesses they would have been kept well entertained and away from the rest of the family - it’s just how things worked in these kinds of families back then.

The next chapter shows the start of Penelope’s recovery and some cute family moments. It doesn’t get as bleak as this again.

Chapter 16: Chapter Fourteen - 1817 : Part Two

Notes:

Thank you for sticking with me after the last chapter. As promised, the next part of Penelope’s recovery - this is a lot lighter than the last chapter and we spend a lot of time with Gregory and Hyacinth as they try to prove themselves as something other than just the babies of the family. I think this is one of the longest chapters to date as I wanted to get everyone in the right place for the start of the 1817 season.

We won’t be spending as much time at Aubrey Hall in the next chapter as we will spend more time in London with the rest of the family as they enjoy the season.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Francesca read and re-read the letter she had just received from her brother, she had been summoning and cancelling the carriage south for the last few weeks as the weather prevented travel down to Aubrey Hall to join the rest of the family. 

 

“I hope that one brings good news,” Janet said softly, seeing Francesca pouring over her letter, “I’m sure the weather will clear now to get a good run down south.”

 

“It is good news,” Francesca smiled, “Penelope is on the mend but Anthony and Kate will not be coming up before the season starts. I think if the weather stays this clear for the next few days, I will ask John if we can go down early. I don’t think I will rest properly until I have seen them all with my own eyes.”

 

“Of course you will not,” Helen agreed, “But it is good news that Mrs Bridgerton is recovering.”

 

Two days later, the coachmen declared the weather clear enough and the Kilmartin carriage started the week-long journey south towards Aubrey Hall. 

 

“Fran!” Colin exclaimed a week later as she and John entered Aubrey Hall, “What are you doing here?”

 

“Did you really think that I would stay away?” Francesca replied with a scoff, “This is just the earliest the coachmen would risk the journey. How is Penelope?”

 

“Better,” Colin smiled, “But we’re staying here for a while longer. How are you? How is Scotland?”

 

Francesca looped her arm in Colin’s and the pair set off for the parlour, Francesca telling him all about her new home whilst John headed off in search of Anthony. 

 


 

In the suite of rooms that Colin and Penelope had taken over, Penelope sat wrapped in blankets and furs on the chaise reading some letters that had arrived from her sisters and sisters-in-law. Daphne and Edwina’s letters were full of their own experiences of pregnancy and their excitement for their babies who were due at any moment. Both Philippa and Prudence sent their own letters full of gossip with Philippa adding her own comments about her longing for a child and Prudence setting out her hopes for some of the bachelors she knew would be returning to London that season. 

 

It was Eloise, as usual, whose correspondence struck a different tone. She had returned to Wiltshire with Benedict when it was obvious that Penelope was out of danger and had been writing letters to Penelope ever since. 

 

Dear Pen

 

I have been spending a lot of time walking around Benedict’s gardens, they are quite pretty and I can see why he keeps painting them. When you are recovered, you should join me here and we can promenade as we used to before you married Colin. 

 

Will you be joining us for the season? Benedict doesn’t think you will be doing so but how else will you see everyone? Anthony and Kate leave the babies in the nursery for the season all the time so surely you could leave George and Agatha there and spend some time in London with us? 

 

Benedict has introduced me to some of his neighbours who seem interesting and manage to live a full life without bothering with the Season, I wonder if I could ask Anthony to leave me in Kent next year and then I wouldn’t have to bother either. 

 

I have sent a copy of Northanger Abbey which I have just completed, Pen, it is a wonder! Let me know what you think when you have finished it. I have not yet heard your thoughts on Glenarvon; perhaps our letters have crossed. 

 

Please write back soon!

 

Lots of Love

 

El

 

Colin slipped into the room just as she finished reading Eloise’s letter, “You look like the Penny Post,” he laughed, “When did all of these arrive?”

 

“Over the last few days,” Penelope replied with a small smile, “Today is just the first day I’ve felt up to dealing with them all.”

 

“Francesca and John have just arrived,” Colin stated, “Are you feeling well enough to see them? Or should I ask Fran to come here?”

 

Penelope sighed, “I think it would be best if Fran came here,” she replied, “I’m not sure if I could get myself down to the parlour.”

 

Colin smiled and kissed her softly, “I’ll go tell her,” he promised, “Or do you want me to tell her that you’re asleep? You do look a little pale.”

 

“No, I think I will be fine if I stay here,” Penelope replied after a moment, “But when Fran leaves, could you help me back to bed?”

 

Colin sat on the chaise next to Penelope, allowing her to lean into him slightly, “I don’t want you to overdo it,” he said softly, “I can just tell Fran that you are tired and we will see her tomorrow. I’ll get them to send us up a tray and we can stay here for the evening.”

 

Penelope sank back into Colin’s embrace, “That does sound wonderful,” she sighed, “And you don’t think Fran will mind?”

 

“I know she won’t,” Colin assured her, “Give me five minutes and then we can spend the evening together.”

 


 

Gregory sat on the bench of the carriage opposite Anthony, sulking. He was finally on his journey home from Eton and had just found out how unwell his sister-in-law had been when she gave birth three months earlier. 

 

“Why didn’t you tell me anything?” he asked again, “I’m sixteen now, I should be told things.”

 

“Greg,” Anthony sighed, “There was nothing you could have done from school, we didn’t want to worry you.”

 

“But you did anyway,” Gregory protested, “When I got all of your letters later, telling me how lucky Penelope had been, how sick she was. I’m not a child anymore Anthony; you can tell me these things.”

 

“But you still would have been here,” Anthony replied, “We didn’t tell you at the time because there was nothing you could have done. Everyone else could come home to help but the Masters would not have allowed it. I didn’t see the need to worry you about it when you could not have done anything to help.”

 

“So, when we get back to Aubrey Hall and Colin needs something, will I be able to help?” Gregory clarified, “I know you kept Hyacinth in the nursery with the babies, you won’t do the same to me?”

 

“If Colin needs you to do something then you will be able to assist,” Anthony replied, “Benedict will be joining us in a few weeks and I thought the four of us could go hunting.”

 

Gregory nodded, pacified with the thought of finally being able to join his older brothers in their pursuits, “And I will speak to Colin myself to see if I can be of any help,” he added, not willing to fully let the subject drop.

 

A few hours later, Anthony and Gregory arrived at Aubrey Hall with Gregory immediately heading for his room to change whilst Anthony headed further into the house.

 

“You’re back,” Hyacinth beamed as she stood in the doorway of Gregory’s room, “How were your exams?”

 

“Fine,” Gregory replied, as he dropped onto the edge of his bed, “How have things been here?”

 

“Odd,” Hyacinth grumbled, “Colin and Penelope are staying for now; she is still very unwell but they won’t tell me anything.”

 

“I shouted at Anth,” Gregory admitted, “On the way home; I told him that he couldn’t keep these things from me anymore. I’ve told him that he can’t keep treating me like one of the babies anymore.”

 

“Which is all well and good for you,” Hyacinth complained, “But it didn’t stop them hiding me in the nursery for weeks. I love Ned and Lottie but do you know how boring it is to be stuck with them for days on end whilst everyone else is somewhere else in the house?”

 

“So we both have not had the best few months,” Gregory agreed, “When you broke your arm, didn’t Penelope sit with you?”

 

“Yes,” Hyacinth frowned, “But what has that got to do with anything?”

 

“So,” Gregory continued, “Offer to sit with her, read to her or something. I’ve told Anth that I will help Colin and they can’t stop me so you do the same. I’m sure Anth didn’t treat Colin like a child when he was my age so he shouldn’t do the same to me.”

 

“I don’t remember,” Hyacinth admitted, “Was Mama, our first Mama, still alive then? I think that’s the difference.”

 

Gregory frowned as he thought, “I think so,” he concluded, “But anyway, we’ll make them take notice of us this season, make them realise we are old enough now.”

 

Hyacinth grinned and the two nodded before dispersing to enact their plans.

 


 

After dinner that evening, Gregory sat with his brothers and John making sure he copied Anthony’s relaxed posture as he sat in the dining room with a heavily watered whisky as the men all talked about business. 

 

“Finch has written,” Colin said during a lapse in conversation, “He has offered to help Lady Featherington and Prudence this season so Pen and I can stay here.”

 

“I’m always surprised that he can write,” Anthony commented and Colin snorted a laugh, “But that will help, the investments you set up last season will still be in place and he clearly manages his own fortune well enough.”

 

“I could help,” Gregory added, “Did Anthony tell you about the prize I won in mathematics this term?”

 

Colin frowned and looked at Anthony who subtly shook his head, “I’ll keep it in mind Greg,” Colin replied, “But if Finch wants to take it over, all the books will be in London. Unless you want to go to Featherington House to sort it?”

 

Gregory shook his head quickly, he had seen enough of Portia Featherington to not voluntarily spend time in her house. 

 

In the parlour, Kate, Francesca and Hyacinth sat playing cards whilst they waited for the men to come through. 

 

“MamaKate,” Hyacinth started as she placed down her cards, “Do you think Colin would let me sit with Penelope during the day? After my lessons have finished, of course, but she must be bored sitting on her own all day; I thought I could read with her or something.”

 

“I think that is a marvellous idea,” Kate smiled, “But if Colin says no, you can’t force your way in.”

 

Hyacinth nodded, smiling to herself as she enacted her part of the plan her and Gregory had concocted earlier that day.

 


 

“Gregory and Hyacinth are up to something,” Kate announced as she and Anthony readied themselves for bed that evening, “They are being too accommodating.”

 

“I thought that too,” Anthony smiled, “Greg shouted at me on the way back from Eton, I think they are both going to try and prove that they are old enough to help.”

 

“Well I suppose Colin and Daphne were helping you when they were the same age,” Kate sighed, “And Penelope is patient enough to put up with Hyacinth reading to her most days. You might have to speak to Colin about Greg though.”

 

Anthony nodded, reaching out his arm for Kate as she slipped into their bed, “They will be staying here for the start of the season at least,” he said as Kate settled herself against his chest, “Penelope still isn’t strong enough for the journey to Farnley Lodge.”

 

“I thought as much,” Kate agreed, “I think I might head off to Oxford to Eddie in the next few days though, she is nearly due and I want to be there.”

 


 

“Fran is back at Aubrey Hall,” Eloise grinned as she read the letter her sister had sent, “Can we go back now?”

 

Benedict looked up from his own letter and frowned, he had agreed to bring Eloise back to My Cottage with him to try and put some space between her and Colin as they both worried about Penelope but Eloise still didn’t seem to grasp how much things had changed. She spent a long time writing letters to Penelope and grumbling to Benedict when the other woman did not respond quickly or sometimes, at all. 

 

“I told Anthony we would go back in another week,” he replied, “He is going to have a small family party before we all head back to London for the season.”

 

“I am looking forward to being in London this season,” Eloise commented, “Penelope and I can spend all our time shopping again like we used to. I am sure we will have many new books and things to browse in Hatchards.”

 

“El,” Benedict said softly, “Colin and Penelope are not joining us in London this season. They will be staying at Aubrey Hall, that is why Anthony is hosting a party.”

 

Eloise frowned and slumped in her seat, “But I thought ... I thought that Colin would ...”

 

“Colin would what?” Benedict asked with a frown, “Penelope is better but she isn’t strong enough for the journey anywhere yet.”

 

“But I overheard Kate and Anthony saying that Pen probably wouldn’t have any more children so I thought that Colin wouldn’t really care if we went back to how things were before they married,” Eloise explained, slightly tearfully, “That Pen could just be my friend again and not Colin’s wife.”

 

Benedict sighed as Eloise finally explained her thought process, “That isn’t how these things work, El,” he replied, “Colin and Penelope are still husband and wife, just because they probably won’t have any more children does not mean that things will go back to how they were when you and Pen were debutantes.”

 

Benedict took a large gulp of his tea, “They are still married,” he continued, “They still love each other, you saw how much Colin suffered before it became clear that Penelope would be well; there is more to marriage than having children. And Penelope will be weak for some time, even if they did come back to London she probably wouldn’t have the strength or energy to trail around Mayfair with you as you both used to.”

 

Eloise’s face crumpled, “I will be so alone this season,” she cried, “Everyone is married and I do not want to be. And now my friend will not even be with me.”

 

Benedict rounded the table and pulled Eloise into his arms, “It won’t be as bad as you think,” he said softly, “I’m sure there will be other ladies you are friends with that will be around this season. And Frannie will be around.”

 

Eloise shrugged slightly as she tightened her arms around Benedict, “Do your neighbours ever do the season?” she asked, “I liked Lady Crane and Miss Beckett.”

 


 

A week later, Benedict and Eloise had rejoined the family at Aubrey Hall and the four Bridgerton brothers had made plans to go hunting whilst the women relaxed in the gardens. John Stirling had begged off from the hunt as he had some Parliamentary correspondence to review in time for the start of the new session in a few weeks and set up a workstation in the library. 

 

Penelope sat in the gazebo set up by the footmen with Prudence, Philippa and Francesca, Colin was sat on his haunches in front of her, holding her hands gently, “I don’t have to join them,” he said softly, “I could stay here and make sure that you are well.”

 

“Go Colin!” Penelope laughed, kissing him lightly, “My sisters are here and my Mama; they will not let me overexert myself or do anything that will cause harm. Go, please, enjoy your hunt and I will see you at dinner.”

 

Colin sighed, “Are you certain?” he pressed, his concern clear, “I don’t wish to ...”

 

“Colin!” Penelope exclaimed with a laugh, “Please go and join your brothers, I will be fine.”

 

Colin nodded and giving Penelope a soft kiss, stood and left the gazebo making his way to the stables to join the men for their small hunting party.

 

“He worries so much,” Francesca commented, “But I suppose we will all do so for a while.”

 

“It is sweet,” Prudence commented, “But you are looking more like yourself than you did a few months ago sister.”

 

“I am feeling more myself,” Penelope agreed, “I still seem to tire quickly though, and I can sometimes feel faint but it is just so nice to be able to get out again.”

 

Prudence reached across the small table and gripped Penelope’s hand, “It was so frightening,” she whispered, “I am so glad that you are well again sister.”

 

Penelope squeezed her sister’s hand in response before taking a sip of her tea and blinking back the tears that had formed at her sister’s words.

 


 

Eloise had joined the small group an hour or so later and sat chattering about the latest novel she was reading and some pamphlet that she had somehow managed to sneak past Anthony. Penelope could feel herself becoming lightheaded and simply smiled at her friend as she talked.

 

“Pellope,” Prudence said softly, “Do you want me to take you back indoors?”

 

“Oh she doesn’t need to go indoors,” Eloise laughed, “She’s been very boring since she married my brother, I hardly see you these days, Pen!”

 

“I think I should like to lie down,” Penelope said softly, “The heat is getting to me a little.” Before any of the women could stand, Penelope slumped in her chair, upsetting the tea service set on the table next to her elbow.

 

Eloise gasped and set off running towards the house, shouting for a footman to assist getting Penelope back to the house.

 

“What is all this?” John asked with an easy smile as he rounded a corner from the library, “Eloise, what’s the matter?”

 

“Penelope!” Eloise gasped as John held her upright, “Come, help, please!”

 

John frowned and picked up his pace, rushing out to the gazebo. He didn’t hesitate as soon as he saw Penelope he swept her into his arms and turned for the house, ordering the staff to send for a doctor immediately. He carefully placed Penelope on her bed and left her in the care of her sisters, sisters-in-law and mother before running down to the stables, calling for his horse.

 


 

As the women chatted, the Bridgerton brothers were in the woods surrounding the grounds, hunting for deer. Gregory was grinning as he held his gun, it was the first hunt he had been allowed to take part in and was enjoying his time with his brothers. 

 

Gregory stopped at the felled tree and tried to copy Benedict as the older man set up his gun against the large trunk. He struggled to balance the gun and seeing this, Anthony came behind his youngest brother and helped him steady his shot. 

 

“Now,” he said softly, “You need to hold it just so, and if you look along there ...”

 

“A stag,” Gregory breathed in awe, “Could I hit it from here PapaAnt?” 

 

Anthony took a moment to respond as Gregory surprised him with the term of address, the young man had not referred to Anthony as Papa since he had started Eton three years earlier and Anthony had come to terms with the fact that he would not hear the nickname from his surrogate son again. 

 

“Not with Anthony directing your shot,” Colin smirked from their other side, as Benedict chuckled.

 

Anthony swore at his brothers before turning his attention back to Gregory, “You need to take your time,” he counselled, “And only take your shot when you can get a clean hit.”

 

Gregory nodded and Anthony stepped back, watching the young man line up his shot with a look of utmost concentration on his face. “Come here,” Colin muttered after a while, “You need to shift this way a little and then breathe.”

 

Gregory allowed Colin to move him slightly to the left and took a deep breath before squeezing the trigger of the gun.

 

“Yes Greg!” Benedict cheered as the shot felled the stag, “How does it feel knowing that all your younger brothers are better shots than you Anth?”

 

Anthony swore at Benedict as Colin and Gregory laughed, Colin handed Gregory his flask with a wink, “Only a sip,” he cautioned, “But your first kill deserves a taste of the proper stuff.”

 

Gregory grinned, taking the flask from Colin and hid his grimace as the strong whisky hit the back of his throat. Before he could speak to Colin, John arrived and summoned Colin back to the house.

 

The mood amongst the three other brothers changed immediately as they set off back towards the house, “Is Penelope still very sick?” Gregory asked Benedict as they walked, “I thought everyone said she was getting better.”

 

“She is,” Benedict sighed, “But she is still weak. Don’t worry, the doctor will be there when we get back to the house and he will ensure she is well.”

 

“I’m not a child Ben,” Gregory grumbled, “You don’t need to lie to me.”

 

“We’re not lying to you Greg,” Anthony replied, “Penelope is a lot better than she was but she is still unwell; we will know more when we get back to the house.”

 


 

Portia Featherington sat in her chambers at Aubrey Hall looking over the documents she had discovered in her late husband’s study. She knew that she needed to speak with various Bridgertons about the documents but she had at least wanted to speak to Penelope and Colin but the events of the afternoon had overtaken them slightly. 

 

She swallowed and took a deep breath before knocking on the door of Lord Bridgerton’s study.

 

“Lady Featherington,” Anthony smiled as he ushered her into the room, “Is everything alright? Is it Penelope?”

 

“Penelope is sleeping,” Portia replied, “It is something else that I would appreciate some advice with my Lord.”

 

Anthony frowned and Portia continued, “I’m not sure how much Colin or Penelope would have told you about our cousin, Lord Featherington, who has returned to America?”

 

“Not much,” Anthony replied, “But I understand there was some financial mis-management?”

 

“The gemstones he spoke of, were not quite what he stated,” Portia stated, “I had no idea until he left but I was in my late husband’s study a few weeks ago; and I came across this document,” Portia handed over the signed document, “I have looked at it but I think I am confused by what it means. I had wanted to speak with Penelope before anyone else but in the circumstances, I don’t want to cause her any other stress.”

 

“Of course not,” Anthony muttered as he reviewed the document, “Lady Featherington!” he gasped, “Are you sure that this document is accurate? With your permission, I would ask my solicitor to look over this but; my understanding of this is that George would ...”

 

“Inherit the entirety of the Featherington estate,” Portia finished, “That is why I wished to speak with you my Lord, it is a lot to put on Penelope, especially now. I need to be certain.”

 

Anthony nodded, “When we go back to London, I will ask my solicitor to take a look at this and test its veracity,” he promised, “I will also speak with Colin.”

 

“Thank you,” Portia smiled, “If this document does hold to be true, could I ask for another favour?”

 

“You can ask for the favour without this being true,” Anthony smiled, “You are family now, and we Bridgertons take family very seriously.”

 

Portia visibly relaxed, “As you know, I am a widow with an unmarried daughter still at home,” she said quickly, “Lord Featherington’s scheme has left us in a precarious position and I am uncertain how to manage things. Both Colin and Mr Finch have been very helpful in managing the day to day expenses and bringing a little more money in.” Portia closed her eyes for a moment to collect herself, “But, I would appreciate some help in reviewing our financial position and maybe some help in more investments to help increase the family coffers. If that document is true then it will all help George in the end.”

 

Anthony nodded, “Leave this with me Lady Featherington,” he smiled, “I will set up an appointment when we return to London to start helping you with the accounts and some investments.”

 

Portia smiled and let herself out of the office, “I will be sitting with Penelope tonight,” she said as she left, “The doctors have said that it is likely a combination of the sun and her coming downstairs caused her episode but I don’t want to leave her alone and Colin will need to eat at some point.”

 


 

Penelope spent the next few days in her rooms with Hyacinth as her constant companion. The younger girl appeared the morning after her episode armed with a copy of Northanger Abbey and declared that she would be reading to Penelope so they could both finally discuss the novel with Eloise. 

 

Colin simply laughed when Penelope told him of Hyacinth’s actions and agreed that Penelope was the only family member patient enough to allow Hyacinth to sit and read to her all day. 

 

A few days before the start of the season letters arrived from London and Oxford bearing news of even more family members, Daphne had safely delivered yet another girl for the Hastings nursery, Lady Camilla Sarah Bassett, who was according to her father the most beautiful baby in the city and Edwina had also safely delivered her first child, Mr Matthew Bagwell, a strong little baby who was quickly taking over Edwina’s world. 

 

“It will be you next,” Eloise grumbled to Francesca, “I’m going to lose track of all of these nieces and nephews the way you are all going on.”

 

Francesca laughed, “I can only hope I am next,” she muttered, running her hands across her stomach. She had not mentioned to any of the family how much she and John were longing for a child of their own nor how much time she had spent in the Kilmartin chapel praying for the same. 

 

“Perhaps I can see if Anthony will let you stay with John and I for a while during the season,” Francesca added, looping her arm through Eloise’s as they walked across the gardens, “It has been very odd, not having you in the next room. With Penelope staying here and Daphne just having delivered her baby, we should stick together. I could even help you try and find a suitor this season.”

 

Eloise leaned into her sister, “I would like to stay,” she said softly, “And I did promise Kate I would try this season but none of the men I have met so far are very interesting at all.”

 

“I will see if John or Michael have any friends to introduce you to,” Francesca promised, “I will make sure that they are interesting enough for you.”

 

Eloise smiled, “Do you think Anthony would let me stay with you?” she asked quietly, “He always seems to want me with him in London.”

 

“I think if I ask you will be at Kilmartin House as soon as the maids can pack your things,” Francesca replied, “We both know he never says no to anything.”

 

Eloise laughed as the sisters reminisced about the many times they had forced Anthony to bend to their will as children by a combination of Eloise’s persistence and Francesca’s ability to wrap their eldest brother around her little finger. 

 


 

A few days later, the carriages pulled out of the driveway of Aubrey Hall conveying all the Bridgertons except Colin and his small family towards London for the amusements of the season. 

 

As the last carriage pulled away, Colin returned to his rooms and found Penelope dozing on top of their bed. He slipped out of his boots and lay on the bed pulling her into his arms as he did so.

 

Penelope relaxed as she felt Colin’s arms around her, “They’ve all gone back to London now,” he said softly, “So you just need to concentrate on recovering.”

 

Colin dropped a kiss to the top of Penelope’s head, “I have sent instructions to start the renovations at Farnley,” he commented as Penelope stirred, “When we get back, we will have all the modern conveniences like we discussed.”

 

Penelope sighed happily and sank into Colin’s embrace, “It will be a while,” she commented, “I’m still so tired all the time.”

 

“We have weeks of peace now,” Colin soothed, “So you can sleep as much as you need to and no one will be around to disturb us. Anthony will not turn us out so take as long as you need; I have no need to be in London this year so we can stay.”

 

Penelope smiled as she curled into Colin’s side, her head resting on his chest as his arms held her tightly. As she started to fall asleep she had the fleeting thought that an entire season wrapped in her husband’s arms would be a very nice place to be indeed. 

 

Notes:

So I hope that I’ve managed to help explain Eloise’s behaviour here, she still doesn’t understand how pregnancy comes about as this isn’t something that would have been discussed. She might have an idea that married women become pregnant and understand that this is something that all married couples strive for and so when she overhears that Penelope probably won’t be able to have any more children she thinks that this means Penelope and Colin will not be married anymore.

Ultimately, Eloise is very lonely at this point in time, her sisters and closest friend are now all married and her brothers don’t understand her; they want her to be happy but are constrained by their own positions and the structure of the society they live in.

Things start to look up for Eloise in the next chapter, and I didn’t go into it here but she has now met Philip Crane so that arc will be coming into play shortly.

Chapter 17: Chapter Fifteen - 1817 : Part Three

Notes:

Thank you so much for the love you have given me over the last two chapters, I promise there is a point to it ❤

Someone did ask about the Featherington title and if Penelope’s son is the first born grandchild - yes, he is and I address that exact point in this chapter!

This one is a little all over the place as I wanted to give everyone a chance to get their own little story this season. I also introduce a known character, he isn’t here for any great length of time or for any particular reason; he is just a name from the series that no one really likes so suits this purpose.

The next chapter will be up in a week but then I might have to take a little break, I have a few summer plans and I do need to re-read the Hyacinth and Gregory books before I get to their stories here as I’ve forgotten a few of the plot points which will need to be worked in.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Francesca sat in the parlour of Kilmartin House with Michael, her husband’s cousin had arrived just after breakfast from his bachelor lodgings and was soon entertaining Francesca with his tales of debauchery. 

 

“Oh Michael!” she giggled, “You are wicked!”

 

Michael laughed, “Oh you wish!” he teased, “Do you have anything exciting to tell me?”

 

“My sister Eloise is coming to stay,” she replied, “I need you to help me introduce her to some of your friends.”

 

“Do you really want your sister to meet my friends?” Michael laughed, “After all the stories I have just told you?”

 

Francesca laughed, “I think they might be just what my sister needs,” she replied with a grin.

 


 

Eloise stood in her room at Bridgerton House directing the servants who were packing her trunks for her extended stay at Kilmartin House. 

 

“Do you think Francesca would let me stay too?” Hyacinth asked from the door, “It will be very quiet here this season, everyone is still in the country and I’m too old to stay in the nursery with Lottie now.”

 

Eloise rolled her eyes, “I don’t think so,” she replied, “Francesca is a married lady now, she doesn’t want you cluttering up her house, you will just have to stay here like you are told.”

 

“But you will be cluttering up her house,” Hyacinth pointed out, “Why are you allowed to go and I am not?”

 

“Because Francesca invited me,” Eloise replied, “Not you; now run along, won’t your governess be looking for you.”

 

Hyacinth frowned but turned and left Eloise’s room heading towards the schoolroom and her waiting governess. 

 


 

Anthony was sitting at his desk with Charlotte on his knee when Eloise entered the office. Charlotte was busy drawing on some spare parchment as Anthony read, Eloise smiled softly at the scene; it was one she knew well, Anthony had done the same with all of his sisters when they were similar ages.

 

“Are you all packed?” Anthony asked when he caught sight of Eloise in the doorway, “Humboldt has called for the carriage. Do you want me to accompany you to Kilmartin House?”

 

“I am going across the square brother,” Eloise replied with an eye-roll, “To stay with Frannie, I will be fine. I just wanted to let you know that I am leaving.”

 

Charlotte slid off Anthony’s knee and ran towards Eloise, “Bye-bye Auntie Eloise,” she grinned, “Tell Auntie Frannie hello from me!”

 

Eloise hugged her niece, “I will,” she promised.

 

“Come on El,” Anthony smiled, “I’ll walk you out. I’m glad Frannie offered for you to stay,” he added, “Things might be a bit more lively at Kilmartin House this season for you; we’re going to be a quiet house this year I think.”

 

“I do wish that I could have stayed at Aubrey Hall,” Eloise added, “That way I could help Penelope. I still think she will be bored with only Colin for company.”

 

Anthony smiled, “One day El, you will understand that sometimes a husband and wife just wish to be alone,” he replied, “And Penelope needs the peace to help her recovery; I know you have been worried about her but Colin is looking after her.”

 

Eloise nodded, “I know,” she replied finally as Anthony helped her into the carriage.

 

“Enjoy yourself,” Anthony smiled as he closed the carriage door, “And you know where we are if you need anything or Frannie and John bore you.”

 

Eloise grinned as Anthony nodded to the drivers to drive on, waving to him from the carriage window.

 


 

Francesca beamed as Eloise stepped from the carriage with the help of one of the Kilmartin footmen, “Oh El!” she cheered, “I have so many things planned for us, John’s cousin Michael is here. I think you will find him very interesting.”

 

Eloise grinned at her sister and allowed her to lead them both into the house, “Colin wrote,” Francesca continued, “To both of us here, Penelope is getting better; they have been able to sit downstairs for the last few days but she is still not fully herself. I’ve left the letter out for you, I thought we could send a letter back when we have something to say.”

 

Soon enough, Eloise was sitting in Francesca’s drawing room as Michael Stirling regaled them both with tales from his time in the army, giving them both an impression of the war as a grand time of parties and gambling with a few skirmishes to break things up a little. 

 

“You’ll have them both running off to the army,” John laughed as the sisters disappeared upstairs to change for dinner.

 

“Would you rather me tell your wife how it feels to kill a man John?” Michael asked, “Or how to exactly hold a bayonet to cause the most possible damage? I was with Wellington at Waterloo, we really did ride out in our dress shoes; there are certain things that do not change even in the middle of a war.”

 

“I think I understand why they call Mr Stirling the Merry Rake,” Eloise stated as she and Francesca climbed the stairs, “He is very witty.”

 

Suddenly, a terrifying thought struck Eloise, “Fran,” she said softly, “You haven’t brought me here for any particular reason in regards to Mr Stirling have you?”

 

Francesca laughed, “Oh goodness no!” she replied, “I just thought you would appreciate being out of Bridgerton House for a while, especially with everyone else being away this season. Michael is fun, but he is not ready to marry and even if he was, I do not think you would suit; you need someone a bit more bookish, someone who would happily stay in the country for most of the season and Michael enjoys London far too much for that.”

 

Eloise almost collapsed in relief, “I have decided to introduce you to some of John’s friends though,” Francesca continued, “Not today, I was thinking of holding a small party in a few days and inviting some slightly different people. Obviously, Anthony and Kate will be invited and Simon and Daphne but I don’t think they will attend. My new neighbours will be invited too; I haven’t met them but I understand they live near Benedict in the country. You may have met them when you stayed with him earlier this year, the Earl of Penwood?”

 

“Oh I did,” Eloise smiled, “Their ward, Miss Beckett, is about our age; I didn’t think they did the season though.”

 


 

A few days later, Francesca stood at the side of the ballroom of Kilmartin House with a small smile, “Congratulations Frannie,” Kate smiled, “A successful event indeed.”

 

Francesca beamed, “I have invited a few of John’s friends, I mean to introduce them to Eloise,” she confided, “They don’t always do the season but I think Eloise would prefer that in the end.”

 

Kate grasped Francesca’s hand, “When did you become so grown up?” she asked softly, “I would not have thought of that but you are right, Eloise hates the season. A match with someone who spends more time in the country would be perfect for her.”

 

“I will, of course, run any potential suitors past you and PapaAnt,” Francesca promised.

 


 

“Ah, Weston,” John greeted his friend, “Can I introduce you to my sister, Miss Eloise Bridgerton. Eloise, this is Sir Robert Weston, he is working with me in Parliament on the anti-slavery legislation we were speaking of a few evenings ago.”

 

Eloise smiled as the young man bowed to her and invited her to the floor for a dance. Eloise grinned as the pair engaged in a spirited conversation.

 

“Have I had a little too much whisky or is Eloise laughing with a gentleman on the dancefloor?” Anthony whispered in Kate’s ear

 

“Hush!” Kate giggled as she turned and shot him a reproachful look, “According to Frannie, he is a colleague of John’s; he has been discussing the work he is doing in Parliament and Eloise has seemed interested.”

 

“That would be a good match for El,” Anthony mused, “I would never have thought of a Parliamentary man for her.”

 

“All it needed was a fresh set of eyes,” Kate smiled, “I will ask Fran to provide all the details so you can properly vet him.”

 

Eloise was still smiling when she joined Kate and Anthony at the edge of the dance floor, “Kate,” she grinned, “I have just had the most wonderful conversation with someone. I think I understand what you were talking about when you spoke of finding friendship with someone.”

 

Kate smiled, “I am happy Eloise,” she replied, “You must tell me more about him, come over for tea tomorrow morning.”

 

“You look happy,” Anthony said softly, bringing them both a glass of lemonade, “Are you enjoying your time with Fran?”

 

“I am,” Eloise grinned, “Thank you for letting me stay.”

 

“Of course,” Anthony smiled, “Come on, I’ll dance the next with you.”

 

Kate smiled as Anthony and Eloise took to the floor, the pairing was unusual but both Bridgerton siblings were exceptional dancers and Anthony soon had Eloise grinning and laughing as he had always seemed to do when she was a child. 

 


 

“Mr Bridgerton,” Lord Penwood smiled when he caught sight of his neighbour, “I did not know we would see you tonight.”

 

“The Countess is one of my younger sisters,” Benedict replied, “It is nice to see you in town; is Lady Penwood with you?”

 

“Yes,” the Earl replied, “She is just with Miss Beckett, I believe she is looking to introduce her to some people. It has been many years since we were last in town, I had forgotten how tedious these things can be.”

 

Benedict gave his neighbour a look, “Not that this is any reflection on your sister,” the other man hurried to clarify.

 

“Oh, I know,” Benedict laughed, “Honestly, if this wasn’t Francesca’s event then I wouldn’t be here either.”

 

The Earl laughed, “You prefer the country too then?” he asked, “I know I would much rather be leading a shooting party at this moment.”

 

“I do enjoy the pursuits that city living affords,” Benedict grinned, “But I must confess, a shooting party in the country does sound more entertaining than being paraded around yet another ballroom.”

 

“Even though my ballroom is very lovely, yes Benedict?” Francesca added from his side, “You would not possibly be dismissing my event?”

 

“Frannie darling, how could I?” Benedict replied with an easy smile, “Let me introduce you to my neighbour, Lord Penwood. We were just commenting on the delights of country living.”

 

Francesca rolled her eyes, “I wanted to introduce you to my neighbours but I see you have already met,” Francesca smiled at Lord Penwood, “It is nice to see you again Lord Penwood, I was just speaking with your wards; perhaps they would like to join my sister and I for tea in the next few days?”

 

“I am sure they would be delighted,” Lord Penwood smiled, “Please send the details when you have made the arrangements.”

 

Francesca smiled and looped her arm through Benedict’s, “Come brother, you can escort me to the refreshment table.”

 


 

“Eloise told me about Miss Beckett,” Francesca said softly as the siblings circled the room, “About how you seem to get along well in the country when she visited. I have just been speaking with her and she seems delightful.”

 

“Frannie,” Benedict said with warning in his voice, “Leave it alone, I already have Kate on at me there is no need for you to start too.”

 

“Fine,” Francesca sighed, “I’ll leave it alone but I will be making friends with Miss Beckett and you cannot stop me.”

 

“I wouldn’t dream of it,” Benedict replied with a laugh.

 


 

Francesca smiled as she slipped into bed that evening, her very first event had been a success.

 

"Congratulations darling,' John smiled as he held out his arm for her to slip into his embrace, "Everyone looked to be having fun."

 

"It was fun, wasn't it?" She replied, "And Eloise seemed to be having fun with Sir Robert."

 

"He seemed to find her quite entertaining too," John confirmed, "But I am not sure if your brother would find him all that acceptable.”

 

Francesca deflated slightly, “He is from trade,” John continued, “His father made his money in the North and Weston has been knighted for his work over the Regency Acts. He has money, but would your brother allow him to marry Eloise?”

 

Francesca frowned, “I honestly do not know,” she finally replied, “Anthony just wants us all to be happy but I’m not sure how far that extends.”

 

“And as much as I like his company, I do not think Weston has the backbone to stare down Anthony Bridgerton!” John laughed, “Your brother can be quite terrifying when he wants to be.”

 

Francesca shook her head, “He is no such thing,” she chided, before leaning into John’s side and settling into sleep; thinking all the while about Eloise and Sir Robert.

 


 

Six weeks into the season, Anthony walked into the drawing room at Aubrey Hall, surprising Colin and Penelope who were relaxing on one of the sofas, Penelope looking slightly brighter than she had in some time. 

 

“Has something happened?” Colin asked with a frown, “Do we need to go back to London?”

 

Anthony shook his head, “Sorry for startling you,” he apologised, “I just had some news that I needed to discuss with you in person. It doesn’t need you to travel to London, you can stay here until you are well enough for the journey.”

 

Penelope smiled and with Colin’s help eased herself into a sitting position, “Is everyone alright?” she asked softly as Colin helped settle her against the bolster cushions with a throw over her shoulders.

 

“When we were here a few weeks ago,” Anthony started, “Lady Featherington brought an extraordinary document to my attention. I’m not sure if you were both aware of the extent of the current Lord Featherington’s deception but before he left for America he left behind a document which Lady Featherington asked me to investigate and confirm if it is correct and proper.”

 

“What kind of document?” Colin asked, “If this is about those investments, he conned half the Ton; surely someone hasn’t decided to stick their head above the parapet and cause problems?”

 

“No,” Anthony replied, “But we will be speaking further of that. Your cousin left a document,” he turned to Penelope, “Stating that he will resign the title from his line and the title and estate will pass to the first born grandson of the Late Lord Featherington.”

 

Penelope gasped, “Georgie?” she breathed, “It all goes to our Georgie?”

 

Anthony nodded, “I have had the document investigated and it bears true. George will eventually become the next Baron Featherington. Colin, we need to look over the accounts properly with Lady Featherington shortly,” he continued, “We need to help build back up the coffers if George is to inherit a title worth anything.”

 

The three sat comfortably chatting for an hour or so until Colin noticed Penelope’s energy flagging, “Come on, I’ll take you up,” he said softly, he helped her from the sofa and Anthony stood as the young couple made their way out of the room. 

 


 

“She’s looking better,” Anthony said as he handed Colin a glass of whisky as they sat in his office, “Are things getting better?”

 

“A little bit,” Colin nodded, “She manages most of the day downstairs now but I still don’t want to risk a carriage journey; it just seems to be inviting trouble.”

 

“I’m not going to throw you both out,” Anthony assured Colin, “Stay as long as you need; don’t rush these things.”

 

Colin nodded, “I just sometimes think that we are on borrowed time,” he said softly, “I know I was off at school and I don’t remember much of what happened back then, but I do remember being told that Hyacinth’s was a difficult birth and Mama never recovered from it. I don’t really remember seeing her out of bed again after that; and she was dead within two years. What happens if that happens to Pen?”

 

Anthony closed his eyes and took a large gulp of his drink, trying to put his thoughts into words. 

 

“I didn’t mean to upset you,” Colin said softly, “It’s just been on my mind and well, I thought you would understand. Especially after Kate ... and Baby Anne.”

 

Anthony let out a deep sigh, “You didn’t upset me,” he replied, “I just ... I don’t like thinking of things from back then. It was difficult and I’ve never wanted to talk about it with you ... not just you ... all of you.”

 

“Because Mama was horrid before she died,” Colin stated, “I might have been at Eton for most of those two years but Daphne did write and I do remember certain things. We don’t have to speak of it, if you don’t want to.”

 

“It’s fine,” Anthony replied, “I don’t believe Penelope will go the same way Mother did,” he said quickly, “Because Penelope has you. Kate didn’t go that way after the little girl and Penelope won’t either.”

 

“Mother was grieving Father,” Anthony continued, “I sometimes speak with Kate about it all and she thinks that the grief damaged her in some way; that is what changed her. Penelope has you, she has you to look after her and she only needs to concentrate on herself. She will not go in the same way Mother did because you will not let her.”

 

“And if she does?” Colin whispered.

 

“Then we will all help you,” Anthony replied, “You will not have to deal with it all on your own. But she seems well, or at least well enough; she will be fine.”

 

Colin nodded, the topic finished as he began informing Anthony of the details of the maintenance he was undertaking at Farnley Lodge.

 


 

Lord Nigel Berbrooke sat in a quiet corner of the smoking room at Whites, he was hoping that his secluded position would allow him to hear anything which could help his current predicament. For all he put about that he was very comfortable, with a 200 year old barony and an estate to match, he was in dire financial straits. His estate was lying fallow, the crops had failed for too many years in a row to sustain anything and he had never been able to wrap his head around the complex financial dealings that many of his peers had engaged in with the emerging industrial discoveries. 

 

However, he did understand gem stones and so he had been more than happy to invest the last of his liquid capital into the mines that Lord Featherington had spoken of the previous season. That one decision had proven to be his undoing; within weeks of Nigel handing over the funds, Jack Featherington had left town with all the money he had accumulated and leaving the Featherington ladies practically destitute. 

 

He spotted the Bridgertons and their various in-laws entering the room, he had been a schoolmate of Lord Bridgerton but the other man had been too clever, too popular to ever really consider Nigel a friend. Nigel had hoped to use that old connection to obtain a marriage with Daphne Bridgerton but somehow his old school-friend had thwarted every effort he had made and then married his eldest sister to the Duke of Hastings. Nigel felt his old schoolroom envy and bitterness swell everytime he saw the two men, laughing and joking and commanding the attention of whichever room they entered as they had always done at school. 

 

“Did you go out to Aubrey Hall last week?” Benedict asked Anthony, “How is Penelope?”

 

“I did,” Anthony replied, “She seems better, but she’s still quite weak. I had some news for them that could not wait.”

 

Simon frowned, “What could not possibly wait a few weeks?” he asked, “Are we not all going out for the week at the end of July?”

 

“This can go no further,” Anthony cautioned, looking around the room and missing Nigel who was now hiding in his shadowy seat, “It is about the Featheringtons.”

 

“That man hasn’t decided to sell the house has he?” Benedict asked in disgust. 

 

“He left a letter in the study and Lady Featherington found it,” Anthony replied quietly, “In the letter, Lord Featherington states that he will resign the title from his line and on his death it will pass to the first born grandson of the late Lord Featherington.”

 

Simon and Benedict both gasped as John frowned, “Mrs Finch does not have any children as yet, does she?” John asked, “Colin’s children are currently the only Featherington grandchildren are they not?”

 

Anthony nodded, “I have spoken with our solicitors and the Lord Chancellor,” he confided, “The document bears true. Georgie will be the next Baron Featherington. Now do you see why I needed to speak with Colin and Penelope.”

 

Nigel’s own eyes grew wide at the information, this could be his ticket to getting some of his fortune back. With the Bridgertons now in charge of the Featherington finances, they would only grow, Nigel just needed to find a way of getting leverage on the family. 

 

The four men soon left the smoking room for the gambling rooms of the club and Nigel also made to leave the room. 

 


 

“How is Mrs Bridgerton?” Mr Finch was asking Benedict as Nigel entered the gambling room, “My wife does not really say much beyond that she is getting a little better; I do not wish to disturb them but if you speak with Mr Bridgerton please tell him that I am more than happy to assist in any way they need.”

 

Benedict nodded, “I am sure they would appreciate correspondence,” he replied, “Anthony was only at Aubrey Hall last week, she is looking brighter but we think they will be seeing out the season there.”

 

Albion Finch nodded, “I do need to update Colin about the work I have been doing with Lady Featherington,” he added, “Lord Featherington is a villain of a man that is for certain; leaving the ladies in such a state. I think Lord Bridgerton has also been helping in that regard.”

 

Benedict nodded, “I think if you sought an appointment with my brother in the next few days it would be beneficial for you,” he replied, “There are too many ears around now to discuss things fully but there are things you need to know.”

 

Nigel smiled, so Mr and Mrs Colin Bridgerton were hiding out in the country for the season; perhaps that new arrival they had welcomed was not as healthy as the family had made out. Or perhaps, Mr Bridgerton was hiding in bachelor lodgings somewhere and keeping his wife hidden in the country; Nigel had always found it an odd match, the plump little Featherington girl and a Bridgerton, maybe the young Mr Bridgerton had opened his eyes to exactly what was in front of him. Nigel smirked to himself and left the club, thoughts swirling in his mind. 

 


 

A few weeks later, Simon and John were sitting in Whites discussing some recent Parliamentary business they had both engaged in when the chatter of the other men invaded their discussion.

 

“Wait a moment, Kilmartin, you will likely know!” Lord Fife exclaimed, “What is going on with Colin Bridgerton this season? Are the rumours true?”

 

Simon frowned, “What rumours are these?” he asked, “Has fatherhood made me so far removed?”

 

Fife had the grace to blush, “That he is keeping a mistress on the other side of town and has thrown over his wife for her.”

 

John couldn’t help the laugh that came out at that statement, “Sorry Fife,” he spluttered, “But that is so wrong. Mrs Bridgerton is unwell and they have decided to stay in the country with their children. Nothing too exciting in that.”

 

Fife frowned, “So he isn’t keeping lodgings near the Strand?” he pressed, “I have heard that Mr Bridgerton has lodgings just off the Strand and his mistress is in permanent residence there.”

 

“Mr Colin Bridgerton doesn’t have lodgings in town other than the house he maintains on Bruton Street,” Simon replied, his tone offering no room for argument, “But as you know, there is another Mr Bridgerton in town. Perhaps you are simply confused.”

 

Fife nodded, seeing that the two men were not willing to entertain his gossip. That did not stop the rumour flying through the clubs, ballrooms and drawing rooms of Mayfair over the next few weeks as the rumour put about by Nigel Berbrooke took hold amongst the bored Lords and Ladies of London. 

Notes:

There is one more chapter of 1817 to go and we will be back at Aubrey Hall for the Hearts and Flowers ball. I re-watched season two over the weekend and I feel a little more confident at working a Pall Mall scene in now.

To everyone concerned, do not worry - Colin is not having an affair. He is happy in the country with Penelope and their babies - more will be revealed in the next chapter. Also, Sir Robert will not be around for long; I just wanted to show that Eloise is leaning into the season slightly and having a break from Bridgerton House is good for her. I also wanted to give her and Anthony a fresh start, so they can go back to the easy relationship they had before her debut - Francesca is a big part of this. In the books her and Eloise are quite close and I want to get that across here; Francesca understands Eloise a little more than Kate and Anthony do and she is trying to push them both towards Eloise’s point of view to help ease all the upsets.

Chapter 18: Chapter Sixteen - 1817 : Part Four

Notes:

Thank you again for all the love you are showing this story

I had a number of questions after the last chapter about what on earth Berbrooke is up to; he is not very bright and in my head he has known both Anthony and Simon for years and has been wildly jealous of them all that time. He put money into the fake gem mines and lost it all; he wants to try and get his money back and thought a nice bit of blackmail might work. However, he isn’t very smart and instead of picking on something that would be difficult to prove, he decided to make up an affair. Angry Colin !My Wife! Bridgerton is in fine form in this chapter!

Just on a slightly unrelated note, I’ve just finished re-reading Hyacinth and Gregory’s books so I now have ideas for their parts of the story but Oh My! I had completely forgotten how absolutely wild Gregory’s book is!

There might be a bit of a delay for the next chapter due to some fun summer plans I have over the next week but it will be with you as soon as I’ve written it.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Colin and Penelope were sat on lawn chairs, Penelope holding Agatha in her arms as George toddled around them, “Anthony has written,” Colin stated, “The family will be down in the next few days for a small party and then the rest of the Ton descend the following week for the main party. Will you be alright for all of the festivities?”

 

“I think so,” Penelope replied as she passed George his wooden spinning top, “I probably will not be able to take part in all of the festivities but it will be nice to see people.”

 

“Promise me that you will not overexert yourself,” Colin said softly, “And we can always spend a few days locked away in our rooms if things become too much.”

 

Penelope smiled softly and bounced Agatha softly before Colin lifted the now four month old into his arms, “And Agatha can see Papa finally win at Pall Mall,” he chuckled, “Daphne has said that she will be bringing her girls as well so the nursery will be fun for them all.”

 


 

A few days later, the rest of the family arrived from London and Penelope soon found herself sitting in the parlour with the rest of the women as they all took tea.

 

“You look so much better Pen,” Daphne smiled, “And how are George and Agatha? The girls were so looking forward to meeting their new cousin.”

 

Penelope smiled, “The children are fine,” she replied, “Colin simply dotes on Agatha and George has enjoyed having both of our attention for the last few months.”

 

Soon the women all started talking about their children with Eloise commenting occasionally on her niece and nephews and their antics in the Bridgerton House nursery. Francesca sat silently as the women talked, her hands resting softly on her lap as she closed her eyes to stop the tears falling.

 

Before long, the family filed out of the house onto the lawn for the annual Bridgerton Pall Mall game. 

 

“Are you alright Frannie?” Kate asked softly as they walked towards the game, “Everything is alright with John, isn’t it?”

 

Francesca nodded, “It is all the talk of children,” she said softly, “John and I have still not been blessed with any and I do so long for babies of my own.”

 

Kate grasped Francesca’s hand, “It will happen,” she whispered, “You have not yet been married a year; I’m sure you will soon have a baby in the Kilmartin nursery.”

 

Francesca smiled, “I hope so,” she murmured, “I really hope so.”

 


 

Kate grinned as she swiped the black mallet from the stack before Anthony had the chance to pick his own, her husband rolling his eyes in exasperation as she gloated. 

 

Colin and Benedict laughed as Eloise stood frowning at everyone as she plotted her chance to win.

 

“Colin!” Anthony grumbled, “Why have you put that wicket so close to the lakeshore? We can’t lose any more balls to the lake!”

 

“I didn’t set up the course!” Colin protested, “That is all Eloise!”

 

“It is not!” Eloise protested, “Gregory set up that portion, not me.”

 

“It is staying,” Gregory added, staring at his older siblings, “The way it is set is that we stand at the lakeshore and hit the balls back towards the house.”

 

Anthony rolled his eyes again, “Fine,” he stated, “How are we starting this year?”

 

“Youngest to oldest,” Gregory grinned, “That way I get to go first for once.”

 

As everyone else groaned, Kate and Anthony held a silent conversation, “Fine,” Anthony agreed eventually, “Greg, you’re first, then Frannie, Eloise, Colin, Kate, Ben, me and finally, Hastings.”

 

“Because you are now ancient, brother,” Benedict laughed, “Flask?”

 

Anthony grinned, pushed Benedict slightly and grabbed his flask, “Hastings is older than I am,” he grumbled, “Go torment him.”

 

“Not as fun,” Benedict grinned, “Greg! Take the shot already will you?!”

 

Gregory launched his ball through the first wicket, closely followed by the rest of the family. 

 


 

The non-playing members of the family all sat in a tent towards the edge of the playing field watching the proceedings. 

 

“Do you think they will let me play next year?” Hyacinth asked as she sulked in the corner, “I still think I could have played this year.”

 

“We drew straws,” Daphne reminded her, “It is the only way to make it fair, there are too many of us now to all play every time.”

 

Hyacinth grumbled as John chuckled to himself in the other corner of the tent, “Why don’t we play our own game tomorrow?” he offered, “Those of us who wanted to play today but haven’t had the chance?”

 

“Can we?!” Hyacinth begged, “Daphne, would you play too?”

 

“I think I could be persuaded,” Daphne replied with a smile, “I’ll speak with Anthony and Kate later and let them know.”

 

“We will play too,” Edwina added, indicating to herself and Nicholas, “Penelope, are you well enough to join us?”

 

“I don’t think so,” Penelope replied with a sad smile, “It all seems a little too much for me this year. I will be the neutral party when everyone starts to argue.”

 

“Who says that we will?” John laughed.

 

“They are Bridgertons,” Penelope replied, “It is what happens when Pall Mall is played.”

 

“That is very true,” Lady Mary added, “I have been watching them play this game for years, inevitably someone will send someone else’s ball either into the lake or the woods and it will all descend into chaos.”

 

“And I’m missing out,” Hyacinth grumbled.

 


 

Back over in the field of play, just as Lady Mary had predicted, chaos was descending, “Eloise!” Francesca shouted, “You did that on purpose!”

 

“I did no such thing!” Eloise retorted, grinning as she watched her sister stomp down towards the lake, “And it hasn’t gone in.”

 

“So you won’t mind if I ...” Colin grinned as he lined up his own shot to push his own ball through the next wicket but send Eloise’s ball hurtling into the trees.

 

“Colin!” she shouted, “You do this every year!”

 

“And yet you still don’t manage to line your ball so he cannot,” Benedict muttered from his place next to the fourth wicket, “He does this every year Eloise, you need to read the game better.”

 

Eloise pulled a face and stuck her tongue out at Benedict, “And like every year, you are losing,” she retorted.

 

“So I am,” Benedict grinned, taking a drink from his flask.

 

Simon stood at Benedict’s other side and frowned at the other man, “What exactly is in that flask?” he laughed.

 

“Just whisky,” Benedict replied with a grin, “I’m simply topping up from last night, no ill effects that way you see.”

 

“Oh to live the life of an artist,” Simon replied with an eye roll and a grin. Before too long, Kate was cheering as she knocked Anthony’s ball down the hill and propelled herself to victory.

 


 

Within a few days the rest of the Ton had joined the family at Aubrey Hall and the party had gathered on the lawn to play the games set up. As she had at a similar gathering earlier in the year, Penelope was sitting in the tent with her mother and Kate relaxing and watching the games unfold. 

 

Colin strode over to the tent, “The men are putting a hunting party together,” he said, squatting down on his haunches in front of her, “Are you going to be alright if I join them?”

 

“Why do I feel like we have had this conversation before,” Penelope laughed, “I’m a lot better now Colin, and the weather is not as warm. I’ll be fine, I promise. Go and join the hunting party, I’ll see you for dinner.”

 

Colin grinned and gave her a soft kiss, “Promise you will go inside well before then,” he pressed, “It is the ball tonight and I want to take a turn with my wife so I need her to be well rested.”

 

Penelope grinned back, “I will, I promise,” she said, “Maybe we could try more than one dance.”

 

An hour or so later, Penelope turned to her mother, “Mama,” she said softly as the rest of the women chattered around them, “Would you mind escorting me back inside? I think I would like a nap before dinner.”

 

Portia smiled, “I would like to see the children,” she replied, “Come, let’s go in.”

 


 

Two hours later, Colin entered the set of rooms he and Penelope had been occupying for the last few months calling for his valet to ready a bath as he did so. He smiled softly as he entered the bedroom, catching sight of Penelope fast asleep on top of the covers, still in her day dress. 

 

“Pen,” he said softly, running his hand across her face as he did so, “Do you want me to call for your maid? We have an hour or so before we would need to be down.”

 

Penelope stirred slightly, before blinking at her husband, “Oh,” she gasped, “I didn’t mean to fall asleep for so long. How was the hunt?”

 

“It was fine,” he replied, sitting on the edge of the bed and taking Penelope’s hand, “Are you sure that you are well enough? We can always have dinner here, Anthony won’t mind.”

 

“We should go down,” Penelope sighed, “But maybe delay it as long as possible?”

 

Colin grinned, “I’ll call for your maid,” he said, “And I’ll get my bath; as long as we are down before Anthony leads Kate into dine, we’ll be fine.”

 


 

“There you go Mrs Bridgerton,” Maria, her maid smiled as she set Penelope’s curls, “You’re looking brighter now than you did earlier.”

 

Penelope smiled back at Maria, “I think that nap was exactly what I needed,” she replied, “But can you please be ready for me to come up a little earlier than the other ladies tonight?”

 

Maria nodded and curtseyed to Penelope and Colin who entered the room, also dressed for dinner. He offered Penelope his arm and the couple left their rooms and headed towards the entertainment below.

 

“We can leave as soon as you wish,” Colin said softly, as they walked down the stairs, “Just let me know and I’ll come up with you.”

 

“I will,” Penelope smiled, “Now, leave me with your sisters and I’ll be fine.”

 


 

Colin had escorted her down to the ballroom and Penelope drifted away from his side towards Francesca and Edwina who were standing in a corner of the room, gossiping. “What have I missed?” Penelope asked as she reached them

 

“Penelope!” Edwina smiled, “Oh that dress looks lovely, did you get someone to make that here?”

 

“No,” Penelope laughed, “My maid did my measurements and Madame Delacroix sent the dress up a few days ago. I’ve always found she makes the best dresses and I wanted one that wouldn’t wash me out.”

 

“You do look better than you have in a while,” Edwina replied with a smile, “And Colin can’t keep his eyes off you!”

 

“He’s worrying,” Penelope replied, “This is the first ball we’ve attended since Agatha and he’s worried that I’ll overexert myself.”

 

“It’s only natural,” Francesca said softly, “And anyway, from what Daphne told me, Colin’s eyes have always followed you around a ballroom.”

 

Penelope giggled, “I suppose they have,” she blushed, “I’m surprised I’ve managed to talk him into standing with his brothers tonight.”

 

“To be honest, I did overhear Anthony and Ben planning to kidnap him if he didn’t,” Francesca replied with her own grin, “He’ll be back over when the dancing starts though, the waltz is usually yours isn’t it?”

 

“Or the quadrille,” Penelope replied, “But that may be a little much for me tonight so I’ve told Colin to stick with the waltz and we’ll see from there.”

 

“I’m just happy you’re actually here,” Edwina said softly, “It was such an awful letter to receive, who cares if you never dance a quadrille again?”

 

Penelope smiled gratefully at her friend and the three women all slipped into a comfortable silence.

 


 

“Oh Mrs Bridgerton,” Cressida Cowper greeted, in her grating false voice, “It is so good to see you out and about again. I thought you had decided to hide in the country this season, the best way to ignore your husband’s ... friends.”

 

Penelope rolled her eyes, “I have no idea what you are talking about Cressida,” she stated, “I have been spending time with my children.”

 

“I knew I would be proven correct,” Cressida continued, “You always were too plump for your own good. You might have bagged a Bridgerton but it isn’t your bed he’s been sleeping in every night this season. Such a shame you couldn’t keep him.”

 

Francesca frowned, “I thought Colin had been here with you all season,” she said, looking at Penelope, “Has he been going up to London?”

 

“No,” Penelope laughed, “Colin has been here all season. I’m not sure who you have seen Cressida, but it wasn’t my husband. Now, if you’ll excuse me I need to sit down.”

 

Penelope walked away from Cressida with only a slight tremble to her hands and sat herself at one of the many tables Kate had ensured were placed along the wall of the ballroom. As soon as she sat, Kate took the seat on the other side of the table, “Are you alright?” she asked quietly, “I saw you with that odious Cowper girl.”

 

“She has just tried to insinuate that Colin has been having an affair all season,” Penelope said, with a scoff of disbelief, “I do not know what I ever did to that girl but she seems to enjoy making me miserable.”

 

“But Colin ...” Kate started

 

“Has been here with me all season,” Penelope finished, “I know, and I know what she has said is untrue. I just ... it makes me so angry. Clearly that is what half of London has been saying all season and now they will be here scrutinising my every move to see if I know about my husband’s supposed affair and all I want to do is go back to sleep.”

 

Kate looked at Penelope in alarm and grasped her hand, “You do not need to be down,” she said forcefully, “Who cares what everyone has been saying, you know the truth and so does Colin. If you are not well enough to be here then go back up,” Kate stressed, “Penelope, you nearly died four months ago; it is alright to accept that you are still unwell.”

 

“I know,” Penelope smiled, “But I have missed all of this, and I do want to dance. I promise I’ll stay here and I’ll only move when I feel up to it but let me have this Kate, please.”

 

Kate nodded and the two women stayed in their seats whilst the band started the first dance of the evening.

 


 

Colin stood with his brothers and brothers-in-law at the back of the ballroom, looking out at the couples taking to the floor, “Is Penelope dancing tonight?” Albion Finch asked quietly.

 

“We agreed on the waltz,” Colin replied, “And then see how she is following that.”

 

Albion nodded, “Just watch out,” he said, almost whispering, “I’ve heard some rumours this season, they will make their way back to Penelope.”

 

“What kind of rumours?” Colin asked with a frown.

 

“Someone asked me and Hastings in Whites,” John added, “I laughed in their face but it must be going around if people are feeling bold enough to ask.”

 

“Ask what?” Colin pressed, “What have you all heard?”

 

“Apparently, Penelope hasn’t returned to London this season because you have tired of her,” Simon replied, “And you haven’t been seen around town as you are busy conducting an affair and are trying to be discreet about it.”

 

“What?” Colin gasped, “And people believe this? I haven’t been anywhere near London since last season, where have I been keeping this so-called mistress?”

 

“Ah well that is for you to tell us brother dear,” Benedict laughed as he joined them, “Do you think Penelope has heard this yet?”

 

“You don’t think she’ll believe it, do you?” Colin asked in a panic, “I mean, I wouldn’t.”

 

“Colin, you’ve been here with her all season,” Benedict said, as though he was speaking to a child, “Of course she won’t believe it, she’s sat over there with Kate by the way, in case you want to go and check.”

 

Simon laughed as Colin made his way over to Penelope, “She won’t believe it, will she?” he asked Benedict softly, “They can’t have been spending every waking moment together and it is possible to get to London and back here within a day.”

 

“She won’t,” Benedict replied, “At least I don’t think she will, I’m guessing she knows Colin is a bad enough liar to be unable to get away with it at any rate. I’d love to know who started the rumour though, and why they would do it.”

 

“Someone who wanted revenge on the Featheringtons,” Simon pondered, “After all that business with the fake investments. Penelope has made the best match out of all her sisters, what better way to drag them all back down again than to suggest that she isn’t pleasing enough for a Bridgerton.”

 

“Ridiculous,” John scoffed, “As if they haven’t had enough to be getting on with this season.”

 


 

Colin approached Penelope just as the orchestra was setting up for the waltz, he smiled at his wife as they made their way to the floor, “Is this where you tell me all about your mistress?” Penelope joked as they danced, “Cressida Cowper couldn’t wait to tell me how I’ve been thrown over.”

 

Colin laughed, “You know it is a lie,” he said softly, “That I wouldn’t ever dream of it.”

 

“Of course I do,” Penelope smiled, “When would you have had the time for a start? People have noticed our absence and will have seen the notice of Agatha’s birth so just want to make trouble.”

 

“Are you alright though?” Colin pressed, “This isn’t too much?”

 

“No,” Penelope assured him, “I don’t think I’ll be dancing another though,” she apologised, “But I’ll stay down for a few more; I’ll just stay sat and let you bring me cake.”

 

Colin laughed as the dance finished, “Whatever you desire,” he quipped, kissing her knuckles softly, “Come on, I’ll sit in the corner and we can judge everyone like we used to.”

 

Penelope laughed as Colin escorted her from the floor.

 

Two dances later, Colin escorted Penelope back up to their chambers, “Please go back down,” Penelope said as she began to remove her jewellery in anticipation of her maid’s arrival, “Even if it is just to spend some time with your brothers, I’m just going to sleep; there’s no need for you to stay.”

 

Colin smiled and kissed her softly, “I have missed spending time with them,” he admitted, “Promise that you’ll send someone down if you need me,” he said, “I won’t be too late,” he promised.

 


 

“Not off to see your mistress,” Anthony joked as Colin entered the smoking room, “How’s Penelope?”

 

“Sleeping,” Colin replied, “Where has this rumour come from? I’ve not been anywhere near London since last season, I don’t understand.”

 

“I don’t know,” Anthony shrugged, “I hadn’t heard it fully until tonight. I’d heard whispers of Mr Bridgerton and his mistress but I figured they were talking about Ben.”

 

“Fife asked Kilmartin and I directly,” Simon added as he joined the brothers, “I’m surprised though, surely someone heard us talk about how unwell Penelope has been.”

 

“They must have thought we were putting about a story to help cover things for Colin,” Anthony shrugged, “No one has said anything to me directly, I honestly thought the whispers I’d heard were about Ben.”

 

“They won’t have had the nerve,” John added as he too joined the group, “Fife was nervous as hell asking us. He would have wet himself if he had to stare you down Bridgerton.”

 

Colin snorted into his glass, “Does Ben have a mistress?” he asked, “Could someone have been confused?”

 

“I think he does,” Anthony hedged, “But he hasn’t said anything directly. I suppose it is possible but you and Ben don’t have a similar look so I don’t see how that is possible.”

 

“And Ben isn’t married,” Simon added, “The rumours specifically mention Penelope being left in the country; there’s no confusion in that at all is there.”

 

“Odd though,” John added, “Why would they even bother?”

 

Colin shrugged, “Unless it is to do with her cousin, the one who fled to America,” he pondered, “He did leave a string of bad investments behind when he left.”

 

“And Portia hasn’t exactly been quiet about George being the one who will inherit the barony,” Anthony added, “I wouldn’t be surprised if whoever has started this rumour lost a lot of money and is hoping to blackmail you over your supposed affair.”

 

“I suppose that would work if I hadn’t been sitting with my wife all season whilst she recovered from nearly dying in childbirth,” Colin replied, “I suppose I’m interested in seeing who tries to approach me.”

 

“Might make things a bit more interesting,” Simon added.

 


 

On the other side of the smoking room another group of men were sitting around another table, listening to the Bridgertons talk.

 

“You told me that you had seen him coming out of lodgings near the Strand,” Fife hissed to Nigel Berbrooke, “I saw Mrs Bridgerton earlier, she clearly has been unwell.”

 

“That is just what they are all saying,” Nigel replied, trying to smooth things over, “You must know how they cover up for each other.”

 

“Ignoring someone taking a mistress and inventing an illness are two different things,” Lord Cho retorted, “My wife was talking with Miss Featherington earlier and even she spoke of Mrs Bridgerton being very unwell following childbirth. Why would her own sisters go along with such a ruse?”

 

“If I didn’t know any better Berbrooke,” Lord Fife stated coldly, “I would say that you had invented the whole thing for some reason.”

 

“Why would I do such a thing?” Nigel smiled, his voice tinged with a note of panic.

 

“Why don’t you tell me?” Colin demanded. He had been leaving the room to retrieve a bottle of brandy from Anthony’s study when he heard the other men’s conversation, “After all, you have had fun talking about me all season Berbrooke.”

 

“Oh Mr Bridgerton,” Nigel laughed, “There is no need to pretend, we are all friends here.”

 

Fife subtly moved his chair as Colin lunged for Nigel, grabbing the other man and pinning him against the wall by the throat, “You have been talking about my wife all season,” Colin growled, “My wife, who has done nothing to offend anybody. Tell me now, what your purpose has been.”

 

Across the room, Benedict and Anthony looked at each other in alarm; it had been many years since they had seen Colin’s temper flare in such a manner. In the way only two brothers can, they moved instinctively to stop Colin causing the foolish man too much harm. 

 

“I ... I ... I ....” Nigel spluttered, “The mines, my money.”

 

Colin loosened his grip slightly, “Just because you did not take care with your money does not give you the right to spread such vicious rumours about my wife,” he spat.

 

“But she will be getting the benefit of my money!” Nigel shouted, “And that brat of yours!”

 

Colin stepped towards Nigel again but Anthony quickly intervened, “I will not be able to save you from the noose if you go any further,” he said softly, pushing Colin back slightly before turning to Berbrooke, “You always have been a sly little worm Berbrooke,” he spat, “And you will not be staying in my house any longer. Your valet has been informed and your trunks are being packed; leave now.”

 

“And if I do not?” Nigel challenged.

 

“Then I will set the dogs on you,” Anthony replied before turning away from the other man and making his way back to the rest of the family, “Colin, with me now.”

 

Colin sneered at Berbrooke as the other man scrambled out of the room but followed Anthony back towards his brothers, “Drink,” Benedict stated, pushing a large glass in front of him, “And do not leave this room until he has left the house.”

 

“I found some papers,” Albion said softly, trying not to attract the attention of the rest of the room as the other men blatantly stared at the extended Bridgerton family, “Relating to some of these purported investments. Will you be coming back to London? I think we need to discuss a plan to protect the women from any further comments.”

 

Colin nodded, “I am not certain if Penelope will join us,” he replied, “But I will travel back; we need to put a stop to this.”

 


 

The following morning Colin left Penelope sleeping in their bed and made his way down for breakfast. The rest of the party were starting to make their own way down to the formal dining room for the same purpose with many of the party giving Colin a wide berth as talk of his fight with Berbrooke had clearly made the rounds of the house party.

 

“Is Penelope coming down this morning?” Prudence asked as she reached the dining room doors at the same time as Colin.

 

“She’s still asleep,” Colin replied, holding the door open and allowing his sister-in-law to enter before him, “They’ll send a tray up when she wakes.”

 

“I was hoping to speak with her this morning,” Prudence replied, “I thought she was looking much better last night, do you think you will be coming back to London with us all?”

 

“I don’t think so,” Colin replied as the pair sat down, “We planned on staying here for another few weeks and then heading back to Farnley Lodge; we’re hoping to be back in London next season.”

 

Prudence made her way up towards the nursery following her breakfast, taking the opportunity to spend time with her nephew and niece before she returned to London, “Oh look at you,” she smiled as the nurse passed Agatha to her, “Those cheeks, just like your Mama. You are just a beautiful little thing,” she said, running her finger along Agatha’s cheek, “Your Papa will have to beat all those suitors off with a stick, he will.”

 

Penelope entered the nursery as Prudence continued to cluck over Agatha, “I think a convent is his current plan,” she said faintly from the doorway, “But I’m sure that will change before her debut.”

 

“Pellope!” Prudence grinned, greeting Penelope with the childhood nickname the sisters had for her, “How are you? I was hoping to speak with you before Mama and I return to London.”

 

Penelope smiled and lowered herself into the chair opposite, wrapping her shawl tighter around her as she did so, “I’m a little tired, I don’t think dancing was such a good idea last night,” she admitted, “Hopefully, Colin and I will be able to return to Farnley Lodge in a few weeks. Little Miss Agatha needs to see her home.”

 

“But Lord Bridgerton will let you stay if you are not well enough to return?” Prudence asked, her face showing her concern, “There’s no rush for you to leave?”

 

“Not at all,” Penelope replied, “But Colin and I do have our own establishment; it would be nice to start living there  again. Lord and Lady Bridgerton have been kind and we’ve not wanted for anything but ... I really liked having my own house, with Colin, and ... I just want that back.”

 

Prudence giggled, “What is it like?” she asked, “Being married? And not living with Mama?”

 

“Well, I can’t say I miss all the yellow,” she giggled, “Pru, I love Colin and it’s just different, being the mistress of your own home.”

 

“I think I may have a suitor,” Prudence said softly after a while, “Do you know anything about a Mr Joseph Harrington?”

 

“I think I have heard the name,” Penelope said as George came toddling over to the sisters and climbed up Penelope’s skirts, “He is the younger son of one of the northern Barons and has made some money in business. Why? Has he made his intentions clear to you?”

 

“He has,” Prudence smiled, “He wants to introduce me to his brother when we are back in London and then when his parents come down for the Hastings Ball at the end of the season, he wants to introduce me to them too.”

 

“I’m happy for you Pru,” Penelope smiled, “Has he met Mama?”

 

“He has,” Prudence confirmed, “She seems to like him too. I just ... he will want to live near his family, back in Lancashire, and it is so far away.”

 

“But now we are all married, there is no need for us to be in London as much,” Penelope replied, “I know you will be a little further away but that’s the best part about marriage Pru, we don’t need to attend every ball and let Mama throw us at eligible gentlemen anymore.”

 

“But if something happens,” Prudence said softly, “I will be at least a week away. Pellope, the carriage ride here with Pippa was bad enough and that was only a day; if I had to spend a week getting to you or you had to spend a week getting to me; it would be horrid. It is just so far away.”

 

“Oh Pru,” Penelope sighed, “Don’t think of that, I was unlucky. Please don’t let this stop you from being happy.”

 

Prudence sighed and looked down at Agatha again, “Pru,” Penelope continued, “If you are truly worried, if ever you find yourself with child ask if he will allow you to have the child in London. I will only be half a day away and Pippa is close to London.”

 

“Please see if you can come to London this year,” Prudence said softly, “I do so want you to meet him.”

 

“I promise to try,” Penelope replied, “I will at the very least send Colin to meet him.”

 


 

A few hours later Colin returned upstairs to find Penelope still in the nursery with their children, “They’ve all returned to town,” he said softly, “Benedict is staying here for a few days, he claims to have grown bored with the city.”

 

Colin sat next to her and took George from her lap, “Are you alright?” he asked softly, “You look a little pale today.”

 

“I am a little more tired than I have been recently,” Penelope admitted, “I think it is simply the excitement of the last few days.”

 

Colin nodded, bouncing George slightly as the toddler played with his cuffs, “I need to go to London in a few days,” he admitted, “We discovered who had been spreading those rumours last night and it is all related to the scam investments your cousin started last season. Mr Finch and I need to review some papers he found to try and fix things.”

 

Penelope nodded, “Of course,” she urged, “I know this is a wicked thought but I cannot wait for Georgie to inherit; at least we know things will be safe then.”

 

Colin grasped her hand, “It is not,” he assured her, “I know exactly what you mean.”

 

Notes:

There will be one more chapter of 1817 coming, I hadn’t planned on it but there are still a few too many loose ends to tie up that just would have made this chapter too big. I know in the books Prudence marries Nigel Berbrooke but I couldn’t have him sticking around after this so I’ve made someone up.

Next chapter - A return to London for the Hastings Ball.

Chapter 19: Chapter Seventeen - 1817 : Part Five

Notes:

Thank you again for all the love you are showing my story. This chapter finishes off 1817; I think I have managed to tie up all the loose ends I created. We finally see a bit of Benedict and Sophie in this chapter and a little more of her back story.

Sorry this chapter is a little late, I had visitors this week so I’ve not had as much chance to write as normal. The next chapter should be up in a week.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Colin sank into the leather chair behind his desk in Bruton Street with a sigh, he had come up to London alone leaving Penelope and the children in the country to try and help Mr Finch figure out how to best help the Featherington women whether the still ongoing problems from the fall out of their cousin’s scheme. 

 

“This is everything I found,” Albion said as he dropped several ledgers and some parchment on the desk, “Berbrooke was the only one stupid enough to invest his entire fortune in the scheme but several others came close.”

 

Colin pulled one of the ledgers towards himself, “I know Anthony has taken some funds and invested them into one of the businesses he has in Yorkshire; it is relatively low risk but with a decent return. We thought it would be the quickest way to build some of the fortunes back to help Lady Featherington and Prudence. Perhaps we could ...”

 

“I have done the same,” Albion added, “I think between the two businesses we could arrange for the majority of these to be paid back within two years. But if we did that ...”

 

“Lady Featherington would be left destitute if we did that,” Colin frowned, “And I’m not certain if us paying back the money implicates us all in the scheme.”

 

“I think it is well enough known that you blew the whole thing apart,” Albion argued, “And aside from Berbrooke, I can’t see any of these taking everything back if they realised it would leave Lady Featherington in such peril.”

 

Colin frowned again and pulled out his own ledgers to review some more figures, “Do you have any liquid funds?” he asked, “I think I may be able to pull some to help cover things for a few months but I’ve been doing some improvements at Farnley which has used up most of my available liquid.”

 

Albion sighed, “I put the majority of mine into a new venture earlier in the season,” he replied, “I was going to invite you along but with everything that happened ...”

 

Colin chuckled, “You would think as a family we would run shy of speculating,” he smiled, “What is this venture?”

 

“Have you heard of the steam engine?” Albion asked, leaning forward in his excitement, “A chap I have been acquainted with on some mining ventures has been developing this new technology, a way to transport goods and perhaps people over vast distances quickly. He estimates that it would cut journeys north in more than half; imagine the ability to reach the cotton mills of Lancashire in four or five hours instead of three days, he imagines the technology would eventually give us the ability to reach Edinburgh in ten hours. The possibilities would be endless!”

 

Colin frowned, “That sounds like fantasy,” he muttered, “But if it comes off it will make everyone involved very rich indeed. Provide me with some figures, that sounds like something I could be very interested in. But, it doesn’t solve our immediate problem.”

 

“It does not,” Albion agreed.

 

“Let me speak with Anthony and Hastings,” Colin stated, “They will have a better idea of whether we should arrange repayment or if we should simply try and rebuild the coffers for Lady Featherington.”

 

“And Georgie,” Albion grinned, “Have you any idea of the condition of Hindringham Hall yet?”

 

Colin shook his head, “I dread to think,” he muttered, “I think it would be best if we concentrated on rebuilding the funds before we turned our attention to Hindringham. Have you ever been? I don’t think I have, I’ve only ever known the Featheringtons as being in town.”

 

“Philippa and I married in town,” Albion replied, “And then we spent the off-season in Brighton, until I started reading those documents I didn’t realise they still owned a country house.”

 


 

Anthony entered the study in Bruton Street to find both Colin and Albion Finch pouring over the Featherington accounts, “Need any help?” he smiled from the doorway.

 

“We think we have a plan,” Colin replied, “But we would appreciate some advice.”

 

“We have decided to move some of the return from the investment you helped set up, Lord Bridgerton,” Albion continued, “And the return from the investment I set up to pay off some of the money taken by Featherington in his scheme. Between us both, we have sufficient liquid capital to assist Lady Featherington and Miss Prudence for the next few months until the next quarter’s returns come in.”

 

“But I think that if we arrange for refunds to be made, it is almost as though we are admitting that the ladies knew,” Colin added, “Admitting that we knew of it.”

 

Anthony nodded, “I can see why some would think that,” he agreed, “And I do think that if these men were stupid enough to invest such sums without undertaking some investigation then they do not deserve their investments back; you both managed to stay clear despite being a lot closer to Featherington.”

 

“It was only chance that stopped me from investing,” Colin commented, “If Pen’s necklace had not broken then I would have followed the rest and put my money in. The documents he provided seemed genuine enough; but whatever we do cannot backfire on the ladies.”

 

Anthony nodded, “I wouldn’t pay them back,” he concluded, “I think everyone knows now that you both are taking the Featherington finances in hand and so when they start spending again everyone will just assume it is from your investments. If anyone asks for repayment then we can look again but I wouldn’t go around offering it.”

 

The three men nodded in agreement before Albion took his leave and left the two Bridgertons alone.

 

“Come to Bridgerton House for dinner,” Anthony offered, “We’ve been a quiet house so far this season, Hyacinth will enjoy the company.”

 


 

“Colin!” Hyacinth cheered as Colin entered the parlour at Bridgerton House, “Is Penelope with you?”

 

“I see,” Colin laughed, “Am I not good enough for you now?”

 

Hyacinth laughed as she flung her arms around Colin’s waist, “I just wanted to see that she was well,” she muttered into his vest, “Are you here on your own?”

 

“Only for the next few days,” Colin replied, kissing the top of his sister’s head, “Penelope is well, she is coming back for Daphne’s ball in a few days.”

 

“But I can’t be there,” Hyacinth sulked.

 

Colin sighed, “Well, when she is back, I will have her invite you around for tea,” he promised, “Will that be alright?”

 

Hyacinth beamed, “Of course,” she nodded, “I have finished reading The Antiquary and I wanted to discuss it with her.”

 

Colin wrapped his arm around Hyacinth’s shoulders, drawing her into his side as they walked into the dining room. 

 


 

A few days later, Benedict was promenading in Hyde Park with Eloise and Francesca; Eloise was talking about Sir Robert Weston who she had been enjoying talking with when the other man attended dinners with John at Kilmartin House. 

 

“He has not yet introduced himself to Anthony,” Benedict said when Eloise paused for breath, “Is he truly serious sister? He can't keep up with such a courtship without ever meeting Anthony.”

 

“Maybe I just want to keep something for myself,” Eloise replied, “Why does Anthony need to meet him before I have even decided if I like him in that manner?”

 

“Because it is odd that Anthony does not know him at all,” Benedict stated firmly, “Do you even know anything about him beyond the fact that he works with Kilmartin in Parliament? Frannie, what do you know of him, of his family?”

 

“Not much,” Francesca admitted, “John has told me that he is from trade, he was knighted for work he did on the Regency Acts but I do not know much of his family, or how they made their money.”

 

Benedict looked at Eloise, “And you?” he pressed, “What do you know of his family? Is he not simply looking to advance himself by marriage; gain the prestige and admittance if not for himself but for his children?”

 

“Because it is so laughable that a gentleman should want to speak to me simply for my mind,” Eloise retorted, “Kate told me to try and enjoy speaking to a gentleman in a ballroom and at dinner and I am doing so. No one has mentioned proposals or marriage or increasing one’s prospects. Have you even bothered to speak with Sir Robert or are you just passing judgement because he cannot trace his family line back to the Plantagenets?”

 

Francesca smothered her laugh as Benedict rolled his eyes and sighed heavily, “That is not what I am doing El,” he eventually responded, “But even you must admit, it is odd that he has not even tried to seek an audience with Anthony, any other man would have at least met with us for a drink in Whites by now. John had joined us several times at this point last season and that was before he had asked for Francesca’s hand. Colin had spent time with Lord Featherington before he married Penelope. If he is serious, he should be looking to foster good relations with your family, it is normal.”

 

Eloise sighed before smiling brightly as she saw Francesca’s neighbours walking towards her, “Good afternoon Lady Penwood, Miss Beckett,” she smiled.

 

Benedict smiled at Sophie who immediately blushed furiously, “Good afternoon,” Lady Penwood smiled, “We decided to take advantage of the dry weather after being cooped up indoors for the last few days. I always think that is the worst thing about being in town; at least in the country when it rains there is always plenty of room to pursue one’s interests without being on top of one another. Here, we are all in each other’s pockets.”

 

“I know what you mean,” Francesca replied, “There is a lot to be said about the space the country affords; but I do always enjoy being in Town with everyone.”

 

“I suppose that is the benefit of a large family,” Sophie offered quietly, “We are a little family and well ...”

 

“My late cousin’s wife and step-daughters are also in residence,” Lady Penwood explained, “We are not used to having such a large household.”

 

“Whereas I find it difficult to adjust to being in a smaller household,” Francesca laughed, “You are both always welcome at Kilmartin House for tea should you wish to escape the confines of Penwood House.”

 

Sophie smiled gratefully and the two parties took their leave of each other to continue their respective promenades.

 


 

“Do you think they know?” Sophie whispered, “Mr Bridgerton was so friendly in the country and now he will not speak with me. They must know.”

 

“They do not,” Lady Penwood replied softly, “Mr Bridgerton is being polite Sophia, in Town it will not be proper for him to speak with you as he did in the country. And he was with his sisters. I know you are an only child but I grew up with brothers and they do not appreciate the teasing of their sisters about anything.”

 

Sophie nodded, “But surely they know Araminta and Rosamund,” she worried, “They must have met them in previous seasons; Araminta loved talking about how she would spend every ball talking with Mamas making sure they would never let their sons near me.”

 

Lady Penwood shook her head, “She did no such thing,” she replied, “Most women in town see that woman for what she is; you are a ward of the Earls of Penwood and have the support, respectability and dowry that comes with it. Most Mamas would be falling over themselves if their sons showed any interest; maybe next season you will find your way onto the dancefloor more than a handful of times.”

 

Sophie grinned, “Maybe I will try to dance at the Hastings Ball,” she replied, “I do still think Mr Bridgerton is very interesting though.”

 


 

Across the park, Benedict had turned his attention from Eloise’s potential suitor as he quizzed Francesca about her neighbours, “So there are two Countesses of Penwood,” he asked with a frown, “Have we ever met the Dowager?”

 

“I have,” Francesca replied, “She is a very unpleasant woman; she has two daughters from her first marriage. One of them is as unpleasant as her mother but the other seems a little quieter, I think the older sister bullies her slightly. I have never heard them say anything pleasant about Miss Beckett; the Dowager in particular seems to hate her.”

 

“But she is the daughter of a cousin or some such like,” Eloise frowned, “Why would the Dowager Countess care that the family is looking after her? It would be like Kate being annoyed at Anthony helping Aunt Winnie, it seems silly and a little pointless.”

 

Benedict and Francesca looked at each other, they both understood the realities of Sophie’s situation but explaining the same to their unmarried sister was not something either would be comfortable doing. 

 

“Not everyone is as happy to support extended family like Anthony and Kate are,” Benedict replied after a few moments of silence, before the small group continued their walk back to Kilmartin House.

 

As they entered the house, Eloise returned upstairs to her rooms and Francesca turned to Benedict, “You know Anthony wouldn’t care if you did offer for her,” she said quietly, “We might be able to guess things but for all everyone knows, she is an orphaned cousin. Why are you holding back?”

 

“I don’t know,” Benedict admitted, “I think I have spent so long supporting Anthony and Kate, helping them with you lot, I’ve not put much thought into my own prospects. I know you don’t really remember them, but part of me is holding out for what Mama and Papa had. She used to tell us stories, Anthony and I, when we were boys, about how she first met Papa in a ballroom and knew she would love him; I want that Frannie.”

 

Francesca grasped her brother’s hand tightly, “You will have that,” she whispered fiercely, “I promise you Bennie, you will have that.”

 

Benedict smiled softly, “I’m being silly,” he laughed, “Don’t breathe a word of this to Anthony or any of the others; I’ll sort myself out soon enough.”

 

Francesca reached up and pressed a kiss to Benedict’s cheek, “You are our favourite for a reason,” she whispered into his ear, “Anthony is our PapaAnt but you are our favourite brother. Don’t think we didn’t notice everything you did too.”

 

Benedict hugged her fiercely, “I know,” he grinned, “Now, stop this, you’ve got me all maudlin; I need to go and meet Colin and Anthony for a few drinks and I can’t look as though I’m crying when I do.”

 

Francesca giggled, “Give them both my love,” she grinned, “And maybe you could ask a certain friend to dance at Daph’s ball next week?”

 

Benedict grinned and waved as he left Kilmartin House, feeling slightly lighter after Francesca’s declarations than he had done in some time.

 


 

Penelope settled against the cushions of the new carriage Colin had purchased for her journey to London. The staff at Aubrey Hall had packed her a small picnic basket and had arranged for the cushioned benches to be covered in furs and blankets to ward off any chill she may feel on the three hour journey back to London. 

 

Soon the rocking of the carriage lulled Penelope to sleep and before she knew it, she was being jolted awake by the carriage pulling to a halt outside of their house on Bruton Street. 

 

Colin opened the door of the carriage and held out his hand to help Penelope down, “How are you?” he asked softly, tucking her hand into his elbow as they walked up the steps towards the door of the house, “Was the carriage comfortable enough?”

 

Penelope leaned into her husband slightly as they entered the house, “The carriage was fine,” she assured him, “The staff provided me with some snacks and I was well wrapped against the chill. I am a little tired though, I think I should like to take a nap before we make any plans for the day.”

 

“Of course,” Colin nodded, “I thought that we would spend the evening here and go to see everyone tomorrow. Your mother has sent a dinner invitation so that we can meet Prudence’s suitor tomorrow.”

 


 

“What are you up to?” Daphne laughed from the nursery door as Simon spun in slow circles with Amelia and Belinda on each hip. 

 

“We’re dancing,” Simon grinned, “Camilla is sleeping so Amelia, Belinda and I decided to practice our steps.”

 

“Papa! Again!” Amelia demanded, with a wiggle of her legs. She giggled as Simon began to slowly spin around again, his arms holding both toddlers tightly to him.

 

“Do I get to join in?” Daphne asked, stepping into the room spinning slightly to let her gown flare.

 

“Mama very pretty,” Amelia declared, holding out her arms to Daphne.

 

“She is,” Simon agreed as he passed over the small girl, “I think a waltz my darling, don’t you?”

 

Both girls giggled as Simon and Daphne started to dance something resembling a waltz with their girls between them, squealing in delight. 

 

“Ah my little loves, it is time for bed,” Simon said eventually, “Mama and Papa have people to entertain this evening. If you are good, I might sneak you both up some cake.”

 

“Night night Papa! Night night Mama!” both girls chorused as the night nurses came to take them to their beds. Simon kissed each girl on their foreheads before holding out his arm to escort Daphne down to the ballroom. 

 


 

As always, the Hastings ballroom glittered for the ball. Daphne stood with Kate and Francesca as the three Bridgerton women watched the dancefloor. 

 

Colin and Penelope had taken to the floor for a dance, Penelope looking brighter than she had for months, laughing with Colin as he spun her around the floor.

 

“Who is that girl in the silver dress Benedict is dancing with?” Kate asked as she spotted Benedict and Sophie. 

 

Francesca smiled, “That is Miss Beckett,” she replied, “She is a ward of the Earl of Penwood; she is mine and John’s neighbour in town but I understand Penwood Park is somewhere near My Cottage, so Ben has known her for some time.”

 

Kate’s eyes gleamed in delight, “He has never said,” she breathed, “Has he mentioned anything to either of you?”

 

Daphne shook her head, but Francesca turned to look at her surrogate mother, “We have spoken of it,” she admitted, “But Benedict doesn’t want to say anything just yet so please, Kate, leave him be.”

 

“I will,” Kate nodded, “Where is Eloise?”

 

“She is in the library,” Daphne replied, “She seemed upset earlier so I told her to hide out in there, one of the footmen is guarding the door to make sure she is not disturbed by anyone other than us.”

 

“I will go and check on her,” Kate replied, “If you see Anthony, tell him to join us.”

 


 

“El,” Kate said softly, as she entered the library, “Oh, Eloise, come here; what is the matter?”

 

Eloise leaned into Kate’s embrace, “I thought Sir Robert would be here,” she said softly, “That he would finally come and speak with you and Anthony. I guess he was just a fortune hunter like Ben said.”

 

Kate sighed, “What did Benedict say?” she asked softly, “I did not realise you had grown so fond of Sir Robert.”

 

“He comes to dinner sometimes,” Eloise replied, “I found him very interesting and he always seemed to be interested in my opinions. But Benedict said he was only interested because I would give him respectability and the admittance that he is currently denied.”

 

Kate pulled Eloise closer, she knew that both Anthony and Benedict were concerned about the attention Sir Robert had been paying Eloise but Anthony had decided to not say anything in order to protect the fragile truce that had finally developed between the two, clearly, Benedict had no such concerns. 

 

“If that is true,” Kate said softly, “Then you are better off without him. Do you want to come back to Bridgerton House tonight? I will ask Anthony to take you home if you wish.”

 

Eloise nodded tearfully, “Do you think I will ever enjoy a season?” she asked as Kate wrapped an arm around the younger woman and led her towards the carriages, “Maybe I’m not meant for all of this.”

 

“I don’t think that is true,” Kate soothed, “Maybe next season you will feel differently and we have the entire off-season to sort things out.”

 

Anthony stood next to their carriage and smiled sadly at Eloise when the pair reached him, “Are you alright staying for a while?” he asked Kate as he helped Eloise up, “I’ll sit with El for a bit and return for you later.”

 

“No need,” Kate smiled, “I’m sure between Ben, Colin and John I will be able to find a way home. Just, do not mention your concerns about Sir Robert; she seems genuinely upset about the whole thing.”

 

Anthony nodded and gave Kate a soft kiss before jumping into the carriage to take Eloise home.

 


 

Benedict escorted Sophie to the refreshment table as they finished their dance, “I know we are reaching the end of the season,” he said softly, “But would I be able to call on you in the morning?”

 

Sophie blushed but nodded, “I would like that,” she smiled, “But, the Dowager Countess will be there and I do not think that she would appreciate such a visit.”

 

Benedict frowned, “Well, perhaps we will see each other in the country this winter then,” he replied as he left Sophie with Lady Penwood, “Lady Penwood, Miss Beckett,” he bowed and walking around the edge of the dancefloor found his brothers-in-law and the three men left for the smoking room. 

 

“What did Mr Bridgerton want?” Lady Penwood asked Sophie, “I am sure we could arrange a small house party if you would like to see him again.”

 

“He wanted to call in the morning,” Sophie admitted, “But I put him off.”

 

Lady Penwood nodded sadly, between Araminta’s scathing commentary and Lord Penwood’s expectations, it would be a wonder if Sophie ever married. The Countess smiled slightly as she began to think of plans to get her young charge and Mr Bridgerton down the aisle. 

 


 

“I understand that you are the person to speak with regarding Miss Prudence’s dowry,” the Baron Bowland asked Colin as they both stood at the edge of the ballroom, “My youngest son is quite enamoured and I wish to be certain of how things stand.”

 

Colin blinked, he knew that as George’s father he was technically the one in charge of the Featherington family but he hadn’t really expected to be dealing with the duties of the family in this way, “I suppose I am,” he replied, “What would you like to know?”

 

The Baron nodded, taking in the younger man who he had heard a lot about but had never met, “I might spend most of my time in the country Mr Bridgerton, but I have heard of the cousin who ran off to the Americas a few years ago. I understand you had a lot to do with that, shall we repair to the smoking room to discuss?”

 

Colin nodded and the two men settled into the smoking room with cigars and whisky, “So, do you want to know the extent of Prudence’s dowry or the extent of Lord Featherington’s dealings?”

 

“I suppose, if Miss Featherington is going to be part of my family, I would like to know the extent of the dealings and if there would be any come back onto me or my family,” the Baron replied, looking directly at Colin, “I understand that you married your wife as all this unfolded, your brother is one of the richest viscounts in the country; I’m sure that he taught you how to manage things.”

 

Colin nodded and took a sip of his drink, “My late father-in-law was a gambler,” he began, “I’m sure you had heard talk of that, it was hardly a secret. He was not a successful gambler; but I can assure you that the dowries for his three girls were protected, and this has not changed. The current Lord Featherington spent most of the last twenty years in the Americas and when he returned to London to take up the barony he was full of talk of mines he owned in Georgia which were full of rubies and other precious stones and managed to drum up a lot of investments from various families with promises of plentiful returns.” 

 

“But not you,” Baron Bowland noted, shrewdly, “What made you pause?”

 

“I was looking to invest,” Colin admitted, “I thought it would be a very good idea, I was marrying one of the daughters, it would ensure that some of the family fortune would be bestowed on the descendants of the family. But, you are correct, my brother has always ensured that I do my due diligence before committing to any investments. It transpires that the stones he was showing around town were false and then word came back from the Americas that the mines were empty and they always had been.” 

 

“So you refused to invest,” Baron Bowland concluded, “But how did that run Lord Featherington out of town?”

 

“Lord Featherington made the mistake of trying to hinge my marriage on my investment,” Colin said wryly, “Lady Featherington was hosting our engagement ball and Lord Featherington stated that my investment in his mines would help him fund Penelope’s dowry and without it, we would be unable to marry. He also made insinuations towards preventing Miss Prudence from marrying and of leaving Lady Featherington destitute; I wouldn’t stand for that and so made it clear that I was aware he had been running a con all season and that I would make it clear to anyone who asked me if I was going to invest the reasons exactly why I would not be doing so. He left the day of our wedding; we received word that he was back in the Americas a few months later.”

 

“And now  your son will inherit the barony,” Baron Bowland nodded, “And you are in charge of the purse strings.”

 

Colin nodded in reply, “And there has been no blow-back about Lord Featherington’s fraud?” Baron Bowland pressed.

 

Colin took a moment before answering, “No one has had the courage to say anything to me directly,” he replied, “But there have been rumours this season, about my wife and the reasons as to why we have remained in the country. But no one has started any kind of legal action against any of the Featherington women, if that is what concerns you.”

 

The Baron nodded, “My son is very enamoured with Miss Prudence and she does seem like a nice girl,” he mused, “I will offer no objections to the match. No doubt, I will see you at the engagement dinner.” 

 

Colin nodded as the Baron took his leave and Albion dropped into the seat he vacated, “Well?” the other man asked.

 

“Prudence is engaged as soon as Harrington asks,” Colin replied, “His father will offer no objections and I have told him of the dowry.”

 

“We have sufficient funds for a grand wedding,” Albion added, “Which one of us do you suppose will end up with Lady Featherington?”

 

Colin snorted into his glass, “Maybe she would enjoy the Lancashire countryside,” he replied, “Otherwise, I fear she will end up with me; especially after what happened this year.”

 


 

The following morning, Mr Joseph Harrington proposed to Miss Prudence Featherington and the wedding date was set for the following month, just before the last carriages departed London for the off-season. 

 

With all three of her girls married, Portia Featherington decided to remain in London for the full year, allowing her to travel to all of her daughter’s married establishments easily and all three of her son-in-laws found themselves host to Lady Featherington for several months at a time, just as Colin predicted.

Notes:

So, 1817 is finished. The next few chapters will probably be covering a few years to speed things along a little. Don’t worry about Eloise, she is realising that she can find fun during the season and she is coming to the realisation that she would prefer a quieter life in the country (if only she could find a widower who enjoys spending all of his time in the country!) I think it is a big part of her character development that she needs to realise this before her story with Sir Phillip really develops; she is still going to be the opinionated chatterbox that she is in canon but she isn’t going to be rebelling against everything now.

Also, I couldn’t resist having Colin and Mr Finch talking about the steam engine and the possibilities of the railways. It still baffles me completely that people used to spend days at a time in a carriage to do a journey that I can do in two hours now and the industrial revolution was starting to stir at this point in time; the technology was being developed and I just like the idea of the Bridgertons and their friends investing in some of it. I’ve always found this period in time quite fascinating - everything was changing in terms of what we could do in terms of making things but we still knew relatively little compared to now and I just wanted to get some of that in this story.

Chapter 20: Chapter Eighteen - 1818 : Part One

Notes:

Thank you once again for all the love you are showing my little story 🥰

Here you go with 1818 and the proper start of Benedict and Sophie’s story - this has been a long time coming! I’ve gone a bit more into Sophie’s background here and explained her relationship with the current Earl and Countess of Penwood. I hope it makes sense. I was originally going to get 1818 boxed off in one chapter but as usual, this story had other ideas.

See you all again next week for the rest of 1818

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

It was a relatively quiet New Year at Aubrey Hall as 1818, Benedict had returned to Wiltshire before the frost started thawing and the roads became impassable; Colin, Daphne and Francesca had all spent the season in their own establishments and with Gregory away at Eton the remaining family had spent a quiet season together, celebrating the Christmas season with their tenants and neighbours. 

 

Anthony sat in the parlour reading the Times which had been delivered with the morning post revelling in the peace of the house. The children were all in the schoolroom, Eloise had disappeared into the grounds with her letters and Kate was still wrapped up in blankets and furs in their bed. She was now four months pregnant with their fifth child and was finding it more and more difficult to wake in the mornings. 

 

Just as Anthony was about to leave the parlour to see how Kate was feeling, Eloise came barrelling into the room in tears.

 

“Eloise!” Anthony exclaimed, jumping up and pulling her into his arms, “What is the matter? Are you hurt?”

 

“I just received a letter from Ben,” she hiccuped, “One of his neighbours has died; Lady Crane.”

 

Anthony frowned, “Mother’s cousin?” he asked, “I wasn’t aware you knew her.”

 

“I met her when I stayed with Ben last year,” Eloise explained, “I thought she was very nice, she had a few dinner parties and we had been corresponding; she has twins a little younger than Charlotte and she would tell me stories of them. It was nice having a friend, especially after what happened to Penelope last year.”

 

Anthony sighed and hugged Eloise tightly, “Does Benedict say when they are holding the funeral?” he asked quietly, “It is only a day’s journey to Wiltshire, I will accompany you if you wish to attend.”

 

“It was yesterday,” Eloise cried, “She died very suddenly, she hadn’t even been unwell.”

 

Anthony kissed the top of Eloise’s head and swayed slightly to try and calm her, “What do you want to do?” he asked softly.

 

“I don’t know,” Eloise replied, wiping her eyes before hugging Anthony tighter, “Could we go for a walk to the church to say a prayer for her? Or do you want to stay here with Kate?”

 

“I’ll come with you,” Anthony replied, “Go and change into your boots and get something warm to wrap around yourself, I’ll change and let Kate know where we are going. We can take the long way back, if you like?”

 


 

“I don’t really remember Lady Crane,” Anthony commented as the siblings walked back from the church, “I think I must have met her at some point, probably around the time Mother died but I don’t really remember her.”

 

“I think we did,” Eloise agreed, “She seemed to remember all of us, I liked that she managed to be a grand lady without ever coming to town.”

 

“I know you dislike the season El, but would you really be happy on your own?” Anthony asked softly

 

“I don’t know,” Eloise admitted, “I did enjoy this season, until the end at least. Did you dislike Sir Robert, the way that Benedict seemed to?”

 

Anthony frowned, he had not really liked the idea of the man but had not expressed this to Eloise, “I did not know the man,” he replied honestly, “He never sought an introduction with me, so I cannot comment on his character. I know of him in the House and he is a fine orator, he seems to be a man of principle but I cannot say I would have let him marry you based on just that alone.”

 

“Because he is from trade?” Eloise scoffed

 

“No,” Anthony replied, “Because I did not know him. Do you think I will let the first man who comes calling marry you?”

 

“You did with Frannie,” Eloise replied, “And Daphne.”

 

“I did not with Daphne,” Anthony countered, “If I had done that she would be in some ramshackle house by now living from the dregs of her dowry whilst her husband gambled his fortune. I have standards that I will hold any suitor for any of you to; it was sheer luck that John met those standards for Frannie and he just so happened to be the first man who came calling.”

 

“Benedict made it sound as though you would say no purely because he does not have a title,” Eloise said softly, “Maybe he was just a little wary of approaching you because of that.”

 

“Eloise,” Anthony said seriously, “If the man has enough money to keep you as you are used to, is of good character and does not have any significant debts, disturbing habits and is not known to be violent then I will be happy for you to marry them. I cannot comment as to whether I would have been happy for Sir Robert to marry you because I do not know him; I cannot say if he meets those standards.”

 

“But how would I know if a man met those standards?” Eloise asked, “They all put on such a show for ladies, how would I be able to tell if the man I was talking to would be suitable?”

 

“That is what I am here for,” Anthony soothed, “I know you laugh about Kate’s lists but she prepares them for a reason; if any man who does not meet my standards is on that list, I tell her and he is refused admittance and you are not encouraged to dance with him.”

 

The pair had found their way to their parent’s memorial and sat together on one of the benches, Eloise leaned her head on Anthony’s shoulder, “Anth,” she said softly after a short while, “What happens if I never marry?”

 

Anthony sighed and wrapped his arm around Eloise’s shoulders, “If you never marry then I will settle your dowry onto you and find you a cottage, somewhere on the estate that you can have as your own.” He paused, staring at the stone monument, “But I want you to try for a few more years yet,” he said, “You are too young to declare yourself a spinster; if you are still unwed at six and twenty then we can start looking for a cottage for  you.”

 

Eloise sighed and leaned into Anthony, “But that is four years away,” she complained, “Daphne and Frannie were both married before they were my age now. Why do I have to wait four more years?”

 

“Because I want you to have the chance to find someone,” Anthony said softly, “I know you El, if I settled your dowry on you now and let you have a cottage, you would stay here; be everyone’s favourite aunt and live out your life reading your books and writing us all letters. You are too young for that; I want you to at least have a life.”

 

Eloise chuckled weakly, and Anthony held her tightly to his side, “And, if you did not want to live in a cottage by yourself,” he said softly, “There will always be room for you with me; you know I will always look after you.”

 

“Do you think they would have done the same?” Eloise asked, looking at their parent’s memorial, “Or would everything be different?”

 

“I think Papa would have done the same,” Anthony said eventually, “You will not remember her, but Papa had an aunt who never married; she lived in a little cottage just on the edge of the park grounds, close to the village. Papa looked after her, I remember her coming up to the house on feast days and we used to ride out to her for tea; she died quite young but she was always looked after. If you did not marry then Papa would look after you in just the same way.”

 

“And Mama?” Eloise whispered.

 

Anthony sighed, “I’m not sure,” he admitted eventually, “She would have wanted you to be happy but she would have also wanted you to be married, I imagine that things would have been quite fraught.”

 

“But we have had such peaceful seasons,” Eloise quipped.

 

Anthony laughed and stood, pulling Eloise up from the bench with him, “Come on,” he stated, “Let’s head back, Kate will be up by now and the children will be done with morning lessons. We can take tea with everyone and then you can run and hide in your rooms for the rest of the day.”

 


 

“Have you and Eloise rowed again?” Kate asked, as Eloise and Hyacinth dispersed after they had all taken tea, “She looks upset.”

 

“One of Ben’s neighbours passed away a few days ago,” Anthony replied, “Eloise had made friends with her when she stayed with Ben last year; the news has come as a shock.”

 

“That is why you went for a walk,” Kate realised.

 

“We spoke a little of Sir Robert,” Anthony admitted, pulling Kate into his side and wrapping his arm around her, his hand resting lightly on her stomach, “And what would happen if she did not marry.”

 

“And you both managed it without shouting at each other?” Kate asked in disbelief, “Or was I sleeping so soundly that I missed it?”

 

“We managed a rational conversation,” Anthony replied, “She wanted to know if I had the same feelings as Benedict about the prospect of Sir Robert.”

 

“Which you did,” Kate pointed out, “I definitely remember you both taking objection to the fact he is not on the books at Whites or that you could not find out anything about his background. What did you tell her?”

 

Anthony sighed, “That I could not pass comment on the man as I did not know him,” he replied, “She seemed to understand, we spoke a little of our parents too.”

 

Kate turned slightly to look at Anthony, “And are you alright?” she asked softly, “I know you don’t ...”

 

“It was fine,” Anthony replied, kissing her softly, “I just can’t help but worry for her. She seems so lost; I just don’t know what we can do to help her.”

 

“I don’t think we can,” Kate said sadly, “I don’t think this is something you can fix Anthony; she needs to sort this in her own time.”

 


 

Benedict was sitting on top of his horse, talking with Lord Penwood as the men followed the hunt, “We have changed the route,” Lord Penwood advised, “We were originally planning to cross Romney Hall land but in the circumstances ...”

 

“Of course,” Benedict replied, “I keep meaning to call, she was my mother’s cousin, but I can’t say we were close.”

 

“I had forgotten that connection,” Lord Penwood apologised, “Did Lady Penwood extend our invitation for dinner this evening?”

 

“She did,” Benedict smiled, “My man should be delivering my dinner clothes to Penwood Park whilst we are out.”

 

Whilst the men were out on the hunt, Lady Penwood and Sophia were preparing Penwood Park for the hunting party. 

 

“Did Mr Bridgerton accept the invitation?” Lady Penwood asked the housekeeper, “We will need to make a room up if he has done so.”

 

The housekeeper checked her list and nodded in confirmation, “The maids are making up the Blue Room for him as we speak, My Lady.”

 

Sophia smiled to herself, she would hopefully be able to speak with Mr Bridgerton at dinner that evening; she still regretted not allowing the man to visit at the end of the last season but did not want to subject him to Araminta before she had to do so. 

 

Lady Penwood looped her arm through Sophia’s, “I will make sure that you are seated next to him at dinner, my dear,” she smiled, “He is a very good match for you.”

 

“But Cousin David does not wish for me to match with a second son,” Sophia said softly, “And Araminta ...”

 

“Is nothing,” Lady Penwood said firmly, “And I will speak with David; he likes Mr Bridgerton and I think he will have more than sufficient funds to keep you my dear. I do not want you to let Araminta spoil things for you; our obligation to that woman ends as soon as her daughters are married then we can cut her as we have always wanted to do.”

 

The two women walked through the formal rooms of the property, making sure that the final touches were ready for the return of the party, “Go and start getting ready,” Lady Penwood said fondly, “I have asked your maid to lay out the dark blue silks for you; I think you will look particularly lovely in those.”

 


 

Sophia sat at her dressing  table as the maid completed the finishing touches to her hair. Anne had been part of the staff at Penwood Park for as long as Sophia had lived there, she had been one of the housemaids when Sophia was a child and had trained as her ladies maid when Sophia turned fifteen and had returned to Penwood Park. 

 

“I have heard talk about Mr Bridgerton,” Anne said softly as she fussed with Sophia's hair, “The maids who took up the hunting luncheon say he is very handsome; I think you deserve a little bit of happiness Miss.”

 

Sophia smiled at Anne through the mirror, “If it doesn’t work out, I could always start scrubbing the hearths again,” she replied, with a watery chuckle, “I think Araminta will try and make it so that I never marry.”

 

Anne reached down and grasped Sophia’s hand, “You were terrible at scrubbing the hearths,” she replied with a small grin, “I know I shouldn’t really say anything but I really did not like the Dowager Countess, I think the late Lordship did you a great favour; asking his cousins to take you in.”

 

Sophia sighed, “I know,” she whispered, “I couldn’t imagine my life if I had been left in Araminta’s charge.”

 

“You have a little while before you need to be down Miss,” Anne said softly, “I would wait until the last moment to make your entrance, your Mr Bridgerton will be blown away when he sees you in this dress.”

 

Sophia giggled at the other woman as she slipped from the room before slipping back into her memories. 

 

She had experienced a lovely, if slightly distant, childhood at Penwood Park. Her natural father, the late Earl, had provided her with everything she needed but was a cold man who did not provide much affection to his only child. Sophia had always known that she was illegitimate, that her natural mother was a housemaid who had worked at Penwood Park but the staff who looked after her had never made her feel anything less than a daughter of the house. She had been happy, until Lord Penwood brought Araminta home as his wife.

 

The other woman was deeply offended that Sophia existed, that she was treated as a legitimate daughter of the house, and made Sophia’s life hell. The Earl spent a lot of time in London in those days and did not know how his wife treated his daughter, how Araminta was slowly removing all of Sophia’s privileges and instructing the staff to ignore her calls; slowly turning the happy, slightly spoiled girl, into one of the servants to be pushed and bullied by the family. 

 

Sophia was eleven when the Earl returned from London to find her locked in one of the servant’s rooms, hungry and cold with Rosamund resident in the room which had always been Sophia’s. It was the only time Sophia could remember being hugged by her father, as he carried her from that room and placed her in his own bed to warm her through. Two days later, David Bingley and his wife Persephone arrived at Penwood Park; David had been a regular visitor throughout Sophia’s childhood in his position as the heir to the estate and he always made a fuss of his cousin’s child. 

 

The following day, Sophia was bundled into the Bingley’s carriage, wrapped in blankets and placed in Persephone’s arms for the short journey back to their cottage at the edge of the Penwood estate. The Earl had placed her in the Bingley’s custody and immediately changed his will to ensure that the care of his child would never fall to the woman he had married. 

 


 

Benedict forced himself to keep his face straight as Sophia entered the drawing room before dinner, she looked regal in her dark blue silk dress and sapphire jewellery; the artist in him longed to commit her to a painting, the rake in him longed to sweep her into his arms but the gentleman in him knew to control himself and work to win her hand. 

 

“Miss Beckett,” he smiled, sketching her a small bow, “How have you been since we were in London?”

 

“Well,” Sophia smiled, “I do prefer being here in the country with my cousins; how was the hunt?”

 

“Successful,” Benedict grinned, “I know we have spoken previously about how much I enjoy being in town but nothing beats a successful day’s hunt. How did you spend the day whilst we were out?”

 

“In the usual way,” Sophia replied with a smile, “I helped my cousin with the preparations for the dinner and took tea with some of the other ladies. I also managed to spend some time with my new novel but I am sure you do not wish to hear about that.”

 

“If you wished to tell me about your novel then I would be happy to listen,” Benedict replied, “I am sure that I have bored you enough with talk of my art every time we have met so it only seems fair that you return the favour.”

 

Sophia grinned and soon engaged Benedict in a discussion of her newest story. 

 


 

“He would be a good match for her,” Persephone said to her husband softly, “I know he is only a second son but he will have a decent portion and the Bridgertons are very wealthy. She won’t have a title but she would be well looked after.”

 

“I know,” David sighed, “And I do like him but the things I heard in London about those artistic types; I worry what would happen to her if she fell in with that crowd.”

 

“But look at them,” Persephone pushed, “He is looking at her like she hangs the moon. And don’t all young men run a little wild in their youth before they settle down with a wife? My father heard rumours about you before we wed and we have been happy, have we not?”

 

“We have,” David replied with a small smile, “And I will take your advice and hold my tongue for now.”

 

“I know you want to protect her,” Persephone whispered, “But you also want her to be happy, I think I will ask Mr Bridgerton to stay for an extra night; he must be lonely out here all alone especially having all those siblings at home. Perhaps Sophia can take him out on a ride across the park, I would chaperone of course.”

 

“You won’t stop meddling until I give in, will you?” David chuckled fondly, “Alright; extend the invitation and see how things go.”

Notes:

I hope I did Anthony and Eloise justice here; I wanted to show Eloise growing up a little and repairing her relationship with Anthony.

I hope my idea of Sophie’s background makes sense, Araminta still tried to make her into a servant but failed here. I’ve invented David and Persephone as the new Earl and Countess; Sophie’s father loved her and wanted the best and with the option of an heir he left Sophie in their custody instead of with Araminta which has changed the course of her life.

We’ll check in with all the Bridgerton (and Bassett) babies next chapter too for some cute family moments.

Chapter 21: Chapter Nineteen - 1818 : Part Two

Notes:

Hello! I’m sorry this is so late everyone, I’ve had some trouble bringing this chapter together there was so much I wanted to fit in and I couldn’t get it to gel, I tried to write more of the children but I can never seem to get their voices age appropriate so that has taken some time to sort out as well. This is the best I could manage so I’m sorry if it feels a little all over the place but the Bridgertons are quite literally all over the place at this point!

Also, because I found it helpful when I was writing this, I thought I would leave a reminder of the ages of all the Bridgerton (and Basset) babies:

Anthony’s :
Edmund - 9
Charlotte - 7
Miles - 3

Colin’s :
George - 3
Agatha - 1

Daphne’s :
Amelia - 4
Belinda - 3
Camilla - 1

And just on a slightly reflective note, I started publishing this story back in June over the long bank holiday weekend we had to celebrate HM The Queen’s 70 years on the throne and it seemed like the whole country was having a massive party. This chapter is being published during the weekend before her funeral and the country has taken on a completely different tone; it has definitely been an odd week for us here in the UK.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

A week later, Benedict was back at Penwood Park with one of the Bridgerton betrothal rings in his pocket. He had experienced a nerve-wracking interview with Earl Penwood who had finally overcome his objections to Benedict and approved the match. The older man had rightfully pointed out Benedict’s well-known reputation for being a rake, the known bohemian lifestyles of the artistic set Benedict ran with and Sophie’s delicate nature, her natural shyness and the Earl’s valid concerns that Benedict’s friends would overwhelm Sophie leaving her miserable. 

 

Thankfully, Benedict’s arguments that he was ultimately a family man, that he would be looking for a townhouse in Mayfair to be closer to his married siblings and that whilst he enjoyed his art, was happy to be considered for exhibitions at the Royal Academy and Somerset House, he could happily leave the lifestyle behind, won out and he was now on his way to find Sophie and propose marriage.

 

He found Sophie walking around the gardens, despite it being March the weather was fair and Sophie was enjoying the chance to be outside with the weather starting to dry and warm up. 

 

“Mr Bridgerton,” Sophie smiled as she caught sight of him, “I did not know you were visiting today.”

 

“I came to have a conversation with your cousin,” Benedict replied, “I did not want to tell you in case the conversation did not go as I wished.”

 

Sophie frowned, “What do you mean?” she whispered, “Is everything alright with you and Cousin David?”

 

Benedict motioned for them to take a seat at one of the stone benches placed around the flower garden, “It is,” he smiled, “I know we have been getting on well now for some time and ...” Benedict paused and reached into his pocket for the betrothal ring he carried, “Will you grant me the honour of becoming my wife?”

 

Sophie gasped in delight, “Oh Benedict!” she grinned, “Yes! Yes, I will!” 

 


 

“Oh finally!” Francesca grinned as she finished reading the letter she had received from Benedict, “John, can we head to Aubrey Hall? Benedict has finally proposed to Miss Beckett; the banns are being read over the next few weeks. I can’t miss Bennie’s wedding.”

 

“Of course not,” John smiled, “I will speak with the coachmen and we will head south as soon as possible. Are you sure that you will be well enough to travel? You are looking very pale.”

 

“I will be,” Francesca confirmed, “I had thought I may be ...”

 

“Oh Fran,” John sighed, pulling her into his arms, “It will happen, it will.” He tightened his arms around Francesca as she cried into his chest, “And besides,” he chuckled, “We can have so much fun trying.”

 

Francesca giggled, “It is so much fun,” she agreed, “You are truly not angry, that I am not yet with child?”

 

“I am not,” John confirmed, “I am selfish enough that I want you all to myself for a while longer; and anyway, if we do not have a child we will just have to marry Michael off and be the doting aunt and uncle to his children.”

 

Francesca smiled and leaned into John’s embrace, “Should we take a walk?” John asked, “The weather is still clear, we can go over the hills if you like.”

 


 

“Benedict is engaged,” Anthony frowned as he read his own letter from Wiltshire, “To a Miss Sophia Beckett; do you know her?” 

 

Kate frowned, “I think I met her in passing last season,” she admitted, “Frannie knows her. She is a ward of the Earl of Penwood, apparently Benedict has known her for some time.”

 

“My Cottage is somewhere near the Penwood estate,” Anthony nodded, “How typical of Ben to court a girl without us realising it.”

 

Kate smothered a laugh, “I will invite them here,” she decided, “A house-party to celebrate the engagement; I will start the planning now.”

 

Anthony shook his head fondly as Kate left the room quickly, summoning their housekeeper as she did so. He smiled as he stood and made his way to the nursery to see his children.

 

“Papa! Papa!” Charlotte cheered as Anthony entered the room, “Can you come and have tea with us?”

 

“Of course I can,” Anthony smiled, allowing the small girl to lead him to the tea table by his hand, “I have some exciting news to tell you all.”

 

“About Mama and the new baby?” Edmund asked as he joined his father and sister at the table.

 

“No, not yet,” Anthony said softly as the children’s faces fell, “The new baby will not be here until later in the year. It is about Uncle Benedict.”

 

The three children shouted over each other, all trying to guess what news there could be about their uncle until Anthony laughed, raising his hand to silence them. “Uncle Benedict is getting married,” Anthony smiled, “And Mama is going to hold a house party so we can all meet his betrothed.”

 

“Is Uncle Benedict’s wife nice, Papa?” Edmund asked, “Like Aunt Pen is nice?”

 

“I am sure she will be,” Anthony replied, “I do not know her as well as we know Aunt Pen but Uncle Benedict will not marry a mean lady.”

 

Miles found his way onto Anthony’s knee, playing with the cuffs of his father’s jacket, “I will like her,” he said boldly, “I like Uncle Ben so I will like her.”

 

Anthony smiled and kissed the top of his son’s head, “I will like her too,” he smiled, “Now, what have you all been learning today?”

 

Edmund and Charlotte soon began talking quickly about their recent lessons with their respective tutors, both trying to outdo each other despite their differing lessons with Miles joining in to inform his father about his success in learning his letters. 

 


 

Daphne gasped as she read her own letter from Benedict, unknowingly echoing the rest of the family as she did so. 

 

“Simon!” she exclaimed, finding her husband in his study, “Benedict is engaged! He’s finally proposed to that lovely Miss Beckett we met last season.”

 

Simon frowned, “Which one was she?” he asked, “You know I can’t keep all of these debutantes straight; I only take notice of your sisters and I expect I will until our girls debut.”

 

Daphne rolled her eyes, “The Earl of Penwood’s ward,” she clarified, “Frannie’s neighbour in town; I thought she was very nice, she will suit Ben.”

 

“The quiet one?” Simon frowned, “I have dealt with Penwood’s son and he mentioned that his cousin is very shy. Are you sure she will suit Benedict? He is very bohemian these days.”

 

“She will,” Daphne nodded, “Benedict needs someone to help ground him, he has been lost for the last few years. Everything changed so much when our parents died; I don’t think Anth and Ben were ever the same after that.”

 

Simon sighed and held out his arm so Daphne could slip onto his lap. He had seen the changes in Anthony first hand, “Well if that is the case, then I am sure she will be most welcome,” he said softly, “Have you seen the girls this morning? Has Belinda recovered from her cold?”

 

“The girls are fine,” Daphne replied, “Ameila is terrorising her nanny, Camilla is determined to chase after her even though she is still a little wobbly.” Simon chuckled, “And Belinda is still in bed but the nurse believes that she is over the worst of the cold, they just want her to stay in bed for a few more days.”

 

“And it is only a cold?” Simon stressed, “She was so unwell last week, do I need to call for the doctor again?”

 

“It is just a cold,” Daphne soothed, kissing Simon softly, “A spring cold, like we all caught as children, the doctor was not concerned and the nurses are not either.”

 

Simon nodded, “I’ll go up later,” he determined, “She must be getting bored by now.”

 


 

Colin laughed as George ran around the nursery with his wooden sword, declaring himself a brave knight protecting his sister who was sitting on Colin’s lap cheering her brother. 

 

The young boy had just celebrated his third birthday and gifts were still arriving from the many Bridgerton relatives scattered around the country; the latest being a wooden horse and sword from Francesca and John which had just made their way south from Scotland. 

 

“I will have to tell Francesca that her presents were a success,” Penelope smiled from the nursery door, “We have just received a letter from Benedict by the way, I have left it in the hallway.”

 

“Mama!” George cheered, “Come see! I am a knight like in my stories!”

 

“I can see my darling,” Penelope smiled, “A big, brave knight indeed. Are you protecting your sister?”

 

George nodded fiercely, “She is the Princess,” he declared, “Papa has stolen her and I will rescue Princess Aggie!”

 

Penelope laughed, “I can see that,” she grinned, “When you have rescued the Princess, can you let Papa go?”

 

George paused to think before nodding in agreement and launching himself at an invisible foe again. 

 

Colin frowned and looked over at Penelope in concern, “Is everything alright?” he asked quietly.

 

Penelope nodded, “We’ve just had a few letters I want to speak to you about,” she replied, “Nothing urgent, I promise.”

 


 

“Ben’s getting married,” Colin grinned as he read Benedict’s letter, “But you hadn’t opened this one, what did you need to speak to me about?”

 

Penelope handed him a letter, “Mama sent it,” she stated, “But you need to read it.”

 

Colin frowned and took the letter from Penelope, “A shoot-out,” he muttered, “Not even a duel, I can’t think of a more fitting end.”

 

“Georgie is the Baron,” Penelope whispered, “What happens now? He is three years old, how does it all work?”

 

“Pen,” Colin exclaimed, pulling Penelope into a hug, “Calm down, please, breathe. I will speak with Anthony and we will sort it all out. Nothing will have to change for Georgie at all, I will continue to oversee the books and properties and when he is old enough, Georgie will inherit it all like he would have done regardless.”

 

“Colin,” Penelope giggled as she calmed, “Your son now outranks you. Lord George Bridgerton,” she muttered, “It sounds so odd.”

 

Colin chuckled, “I will speak with Anthony when we attend the party for Ben’s engagement,” he promised, “Maybe we will get a better bedroom.”

 

Penelope laughed again, “Oh, it is terrible,” she blushed, “I suppose I should do something to show we are mourning my cousin but after all he did ...”

 

“He died weeks ago in America,” Colin replied, “Wear a dark gown for a few days and be done with it if you really want to. I will not be mourning the man who caused us so much trouble.”

 


 

“Well, we have a new member of the family,” Anthony commented as he read Colin’s letter, “Or, rather, someone in the family has a new title,” he amended, catching Kate’s confused frown.

 

“Anthony,” she sighed, “I am far too tired for you to be speaking in riddles. What are you talking about?”

 

“Penelope’s cousin died,” Anthony clarified, “Georgie is now Baron Featherington. Colin is in a bit of a flap about it, he wants to know what they need to do to secure his inheritance. And if you are tired, should you really be planning this party?”

 

“I am fine,” Kate replied with an eye-roll, “Mrs Wilson is doing most of the work as usual. You are fussing again. Now, what do Colin and Penelope need us to do?”

 

“And I will continue to fuss until you deliver and you and baby are both safe and well,” Anthony replied, “And Colin can wait, he wanted to let me know that he will be asking questions when they next visit. Can you promise to at least sit in the library or the parlour with your feet up?”

 

Kate sighed, “Of course,” she replied easily, “I’ll be in the library, maybe I’ll see if Eloise or Hyacinth will help.”

 


 

“Lord Penwood has died,” Benedict stated a few weeks later as he read the tear stained letter he had received from Sophie, “In his sleep two days ago; Sophie is distraught.”

 

“Of course she is,” Kate replied, “That poor girl; the wedding will need to be delayed now. Maybe we could move plans to just before next season? A March wedding?”

 

“I don’t think I can think about that just now,” Benedict replied, “I’ll head back to My Cottage, then I will be around for the funeral. Anth ...”

 

“Give me half an hour to arrange my things,” Anthony nodded, standing to head to his rooms.

 

“I’ll send notes to the guests telling them we are postponing the ball,” Kate added, “Ben ... I’m sorry.”

 

Benedict nodded, “I think I’ll stay at My Cottage after the funeral, I’ll send Anth back so he is back for this one to make their appearance.”

 

Kate smiled and ran her hand over her stomach, “I’ll be fine,” she promised, “Ben, just ...” Kate paused, swallowing nervously, “I think we all know how grief can change people, how it changes things. Just ... make sure you don’t let her change that much.”

 

“You don’t know her,” Benedict replied.

 

“But  you love her,” Kate stated quickly, “And you deserve to be happy, she makes you happy so just, make sure you look after her and yourself.”

 

Benedict pulled Kate into a hug, “Thank you Kate,” he whispered, “I promise, you will love her too.”

 


 

Benedict and Anthony arrived at My Cottage two days after the news of Earl Penwood’s death had reached them, with the funeral taking place the following day. 

 

“I think I briefly remember meeting her last season,” Anthony stated as they rode away from Penwood Park following the funeral, “How long have you actually been courting her?”

 

“Officially, not that long at all,” Benedict replied, “Since Daphne’s ball at the end of last season. But I have been interested since I first met her.”

 

“It is typical of you to marry someone not known to us all,” Anthony laughed, “I suppose I’m just happy she is not some kind of bohemian.”

 

Benedict snorted a laugh, “Her cousin, the late Earl, he made the same point,” he admitted, “He had grave concerns about how my lifestyle would impact Sophie; it took some talking to get him to agree to my suit.”

 

Anthony scoffed, “How are things going at the Academy?” he asked, “You mentioned Somerset House in your last letter.”

 

“Some of my paintings have been selected for an exhibit,” Benedict admitted, “There is to be an exhibit of work from students at the Academy and mine will be among them.”

 

“Ben!” Anthony exclaimed, “Why did you not say anything? When is this exhibit?”

 

“It will be at the start of the season,” Benedict admitted, “And I didn’t think any of you would come, you and Kate will not be in town this year; Colin and Pen will probably stay in the country again. If Daph and Fran came into town I would have said something.”

 

Anthony rolled his eyes, “I will come in for that,” he promised, “And you will not stop me buying something if I so wish.”

 

“Fine,” Benedict sighed, “I’ll let you know the details when I know more. I might not spend too much time in town myself this season, I know I won’t marry Sophie this year but I don’t really want every eligible young Miss in town being thrown my way.”

 


 

Sophie was sitting on the edge on the sofa in the parlour of Penwood Park as her cousin, Charles, spoke with the family solicitors finalising the last aspects of the late Earl’s will. 

 

“I’ve heard from Mr Bridgerton,” Charles said softly as he sat beside Sophie, “He has agreed to put the wedding on hold for a few months, for your mourning period. He said to let you know that he is staying at his estate and if you would like, he can visit when it is appropriate.”

 

Sophie nodded, “But I can still marry?” she whispered.

 

“Of course,” Charles replied, “Sophie, everything will stay the same for you. You can stay here until you marry and your dowry is unaffected; there will just be a delay whilst we observe a correct mourning period.”

 

Sophie exhaled and slumped in her seat before crying. Charles wrapped his arms around her as they both mourned for their father figure. 

 

“Oh isn’t this touching,” Araminta mocked from the parlour door, “Are you finally showing the bastard her place, Charles?”

 

Sophie flinched and Charles hugged her tightly before standing to deal with Araminta. 

 

“If by that, you mean I was comforting my cousin and sadly informing her about the inevitable delay to her wedding,” Charles replied “Then yes, Araminta. What are you doing here?”

 

“To see what provisions have been made for my girls of course,” Araminta replied, “They are still unmarried, I need to be sure we have the funds for the season.”

 

Charles rolled his eyes, “Your funds were set by my late cousin,” he replied, “They have not changed.”

 

“What?!” Araminta screeched, making her way across the room before pulling Sophie from the sofa, “You are stealing from my daughters! Why do you get all of this, a marriage to a Bridgerton and a dowry! You are nothing but some housemaid’s bastard! I knew I had it right when I had you scrubbing my floors; are you going to get on your back for Charles now to secure your dowry? We all know it is the only way you had one in the first place!”

 

“I have never struck a woman before,” Charles growled, “But you are testing my resolve Araminta. You forget your place, you are the Dowager Countess and your daughters are not my cousin’s natural children. My late cousin generously provided for his step-children and you received a generous allowance but that is all. My father did not provide for you and he had no duty to do so. You are lucky I am generous enough to allow you to continue residing in the dower house but that position could easily change.”

 

“You wouldn’t dare!” Araminta gasped, finally letting go of her grip on Sophie’s arm.

 

“I would,” Charles confirmed, “Now get out of my house.”

 

Araminta scowled at Charles, practically spat at Sophie and twirling her skirts, stormed out of the room.

 

Sophie dropped back onto the chaise in shock, “Charlie,” she whispered, “Do you think she would ...”

 

“That woman is nothing to us Sophia,” Charles said softly, “She is not able to do anything. She is angry because she has burned through the allowance she was left by your father and she was expecting my father to leave her more.”

 


 

Kate gave birth to her fifth child, Mary, in June 1818 just before Benedict returned to London for his exhibition at Somerset House; Anthony fulfilled his promise and attended his brother’s opening exhibition returning to Aubrey Hall with three paintings from the collection to support his brother’s burgeoning art career. 

 

Benedict and Sophie finally married in her parish church with all of his family present in October 1818, both bride and groom looked radiant and soon they were off to Scotland for a few weeks in Kilmartin for their honeymoon. 

 

Notes:

So, 1818 is finally boxed off. I know I’ve glossed over Benedict and Sophie’s wedding and some parts of their relationship but to me it has happened in the background to everything else and Benedict just surprises them all with his proposal. We will see more of them in the coming chapters as they become part of the wider family.

The next chapter will skip a year and we will reunite in 1820; it will not be a fun year especially for Poor Francesca and John 😢

There will be a delay for the next chapter, I’m off to catch some late summer sun this week and my laptop will not be making the journey!

Chapter 22: Chapter Twenty - 1820 : Part One

Notes:

Hello! Sorry for the delay on this one, I’ve been on my summer holiday 😁

We see a grown-up Gregory here getting into some drunken antics which I just couldn’t resist! Also, this is a bit sad as we catch up with poor Francesca and John. I also introduce a certain someone who will become more important later in the story - I hope you like where I’m going with that.

This one is a little shorter than usual but I wanted to get this out after a few week’s gap. I might not be able to get the next chapter up in a week, taking two weeks off will mean I have a lot of work to catch-up on in the next few days! But it will be with you as soon as possible.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

It was a slightly subdued evening in Whites at the start of the 1820 season, the late King had finally passed in January and the new King, George IV, was continuing his reign in the same way he had conducted his regency; his Court was full of mistresses and lavish parties and the mood amongst the common people in the country was turning more and more resentful. 

 

The Cato Street Conspiracy had been broken up earlier that year and the trials were ongoing, but the ongoing tensions were making the aristocracy very wary leading to a sombre note amongst the gentlemen in the club. 

 

“The last of the trials was today,” Simon said softly as he stretched out in his seat next to Anthony, “They’re all down for execution.”

 

“I expected no less,” Anthony replied, “It was a clear case of treason; are they really going to use the mediaeval punishment?”

 

“It is still on the books,” Simon replied, “But I can’t see them going through with it. Did you see that Mrs FitzHerbert is in town?”

 

Anthony nodded, “She was hovering around the presentation room when I took Greg for his levee,” he admitted, “But apparently she has been around since the late Queen died in ‘18; I suppose we haven’t been around to see it before this year.”

 

“I’m tired with it all,” Simon admitted, “I’ve had to leave Daphne at Clyveden, she’s too far gone to travel to town and I don’t like being two days away.”

 

“If the trials are done,” Anthony started, “Then surely you can go home.”

 

“Hopefully,” Simon sighed, “Are you all in town?”

 

“All except Ben,” he replied, “He and Sophie are still in Wiltshire; he has a commission that he wants to finish before he comes down.”

 

“Are you both as exhausted as I am,” John asked as he dropped onto the other seat at their table, “I swear I’ve had a headache since the accession.”

 

Simon snorted a laugh, “You and half the House,” he replied, “Do you sometimes wish we had all decided to just lounge around the club, ignore the House and just turn up at Court for the season.”

 

“All the time,” Anthony laughed, “But then, I think I would get bored without the House to keep me occupied.”

 

“True,” John sighed, “But this last year has been especially difficult.”

 

“How is Fran?” Anthony asked, frowning in concern, “She mentioned being unwell in her last letter.”

 

“She is fine,” John replied, before looking around to check no one else was listening to their conversation, “We thought that she was pregnant but she was not.” he sighed, “She took it very badly.”

 

“Daphne experienced something similar when we first married,” Simon said sympathetically, “It doesn’t signify anything.”

 

“Kate also,” Anthony added, “More than once. I’ll see if Kate will speak with Frannie, maybe if she knows it has happened to others she won’t feel so badly.”

 

John smiled thankfully at his brothers-in-law, “I’m going to go home, see if sleep will get rid of this headache for once and for all.”

 


 

“Brothers!” a clearly intoxicated Greg cheered as he stumbled across Anthony and Simon in their corner.

 

Simon burst out laughing at the nineteen year old as he attempted to lean on the arm of Anthony’s chair, only for him to fail and be steaded by his eldest brother’s arm. 

 

Anthony rolled his eyes in fond exasperation at Gregory’s antics, “Come on, let’s get you home before Kate has apoplexy.” he chided, “What on earth have you been drinking?”

 

“All sorts of things,” Greg laughed, before sobering slightly, “Will MamaKate be angry?”

 

“No,” Anthony replied, hauling Gregory up and steering him towards the door, “Come on, Hastings; see you tomorrow.”

 

Simon raised his glass in a toast, chuckling at the pair as Anthony guided Gregory out of the club. 

 


 

“Simon,” Gareth St. Clair said as he dropped into the seat recently vacated by Anthony, “Can I talk to you?”

 

“Gareth!” Simon exclaimed, “How long have you been here? You could have come over earlier, you know.”

 

“Didn’t want to with the others here,” Gareth muttered, “Simon, I need your help.”

 

“Not here,” Simon replied, looking around the room and the eyes of the rest of the men now in their corner thanks to Gregory’s exuberance, “Come on, I’ve opened Hastings House we’ll go back there. Are you staying with Aunt Agatha?”

 

Gareth shook his head, “She doesn’t know I’m back in town,” he confessed, “She thinks I’ve had to stay at Oxford for a few more weeks to finish my viva.”

 

Simon handed Gareth a glass as they entered his study at Hastings House, “What is going on?” he asked, “You actually look worried.”

 

“My father has cut me off completely,” he admitted in a rush, “I’ve finished at Oxford and I cannot get any lodgings in town, I can’t get anyone to present me at my levee and I don’t know what to do.”

 

“Right,” Simon sighed, “I will present you at your levee. Daphne and the girls are still in the country so you can stay here for now and I’m sure between Aunt Agatha and myself we can sort out some kind of income for you.”

 

“George left me some things, in his will,” Gareth said softly, “And He has stopped me from having those. I remember hearing that Grandfather Danbury had left me something but I think He will have taken that too.”

 

Simon frowned, “I will look into that tomorrow,” he promised, “Uncle St.John will have left you something; we all were left something but I can’t remember the details. Gareth, we will have to tell Aunt Agatha.”

 

“I know,” Gareth sighed, “I just ... I don’t want to be hiding behind her skirts anymore; surely at this point I should be able to stand on my own.”

 

“I wasn’t at your age,” Simon admitted softly, “My father was still alive and I was definitely still hiding behind Aunt Agatha’s skirts when I was in town. I just had the funds to set off around the world for a few years to escape it all.”

 

Gareth frowned, “I could set you up with funds to do the same,” Simon offered, “If you wanted.”

 

“Maybe,” Gareth shrugged, “Thank you Simon, just thank you.”

 


 

Anthony managed to manoeuvre Gregory out of the carriage and up the steps of Bridgerton House with little fuss only to be met at the drawing room door by a smirking Kate.

 

“Oh dear,” she laughed, “Fun night at the club Greg?”

 

“MamaKate!” Greg cheered, tilting slightly as he tried to press a kiss to her cheek, laughing as he failed.

 

Anthony sighed and pulled Greg upright using the back of his jacket, “I’ll get him upstairs,” he laughed, “I’ll be back down when I’ve got him into bed.”

 

Kate laughed again as she watched her husband and the boy she considered to be her eldest child wrangle up the stairs; Gregory had left Eton earlier that year and was due to start up his term at Cambridge at the end of the season, it seemed that the young man was fully enjoying his newfound freedom.

 

“Is Greg in bed?” Kate asked as Anthony entered the parlour thirty minutes later, “He didn’t cause any issues did he?”

 

“He is,” Anthony replied, sitting on the chaise next to Kate and pulling her into his side, “And he didn’t, I was sitting with Simon and John when he came to greet us. People will have heard Simon laughing at him but I got him home as soon as I realised how drunk he actually was.”

 

“I almost feel sorry for how ill he will feel tomorrow, Hyacinth will be merciless,” Kate laughed, “You look tired,” she added, looking at Anthony, “Is everything alright?”

 

“Much the same,” Anthony replied with a sigh, “Are you seeing Fran at any point this week?”

 

“I hadn’t planned on it,” Kate admitted, “Why? Is she still unwell?”

 

“John confided that they believed she was pregnant,” Anthony said softly, “And she is a bit upset that she isn’t. Simon mentioned the miscarriage Daphne had when they first married and I offered that you had experienced some as well. I thought maybe you could talk to her? She wouldn’t listen to Daph and the others can’t really help.”

 

Kate leaned up and kissed Anthony deeply, “The best of men,” she whispered, “Of course I will, I’ll send my card tomorrow. Come on, let’s go to bed.”

 

“I better check Gregory hasn’t choked,” Kate laughed as she made her way up the stairs, “You did put him in easy reach of a chamber pot?”

 

“Of course!” Anthony replied, “He isn’t the first of my brothers I’ve had to put to bed deep in his cups.”

 


 

Francesca smiled as Kate entered her drawing room, "Kate," she greeted, "How are you? Did I forget we were meeting today?"

 

"Not at all," Kate replied, "I just thought it would be nice to drop in and see how you are. Your last letter was a bit of a concern and I thought you would appreciate me coming rather than Anthony."

 

Francesca sighed, "I should have known," she muttered, "I am fine now. I thought that I may ... I had missed two courses and ..."

 

"Oh Frannie," Kate sighed sympathetically, "It will happen. I promise, it will."

 

"Can you?" Francesca asked, her voice hardening slightly, "With your four living children, can you really tell me that I am not barren? That after the fourth time of this happening that I will give John a child?"

 

"I can," Kate replied firmly, "Because I have experienced this too. Once after Edmund, once after Charlotte and twice after Miles. I can tell you that it will happen because I thought the same and, like you said, I have given birth to five children; four still living."

 

"I'm sorry Kate," Francesca muttered, "I just ..."

 

"Daphne has done also," Kate said softly, "When she and Simon first married, before she had Amelia. It is not unusual and it does not signify anything."

 

Francesca's hand shook slightly as she placed her teacup on the small tea table at her side. 

 

"I thought it was just me," she whispered, "That there was something wrong with me."

 

"There isn't," Kate replied forcefully, "Fran, you are three and twenty, you are still young. There is plenty of time."

 

Francesca nodded and the two turned their conversation to Gregory's antics the previous evening.

 


 

In Clyveden, Daphne was in her sitting room, hand rubbing over her stomach absently as she read Simon's latest letter. Her husband was stuck in London for the moment and was worried about his cousin, Gareth, who also had an unfortunate father. 

 

She frowned as she thought of her response, she knew that Simon was miserable in London and desperately wanted to help Gareth. She had met the young man a few times over the course of her marriage and liked him but she could not do much to assist, stuck in the country eight and a half months gone with her fourth child. 

 

She sighed deeply, causing Penelope to look up in concern from her place on the opposite chaise, “Daph?” she said in concern, “Should I ask Mrs O’Carroll to send down for the midwife?”

 

“No need,” Daphne waved off her concern, “I’m just thinking about how to reply to Simon. He is not happy in London on his own.”

 

“Colin did say that it has been an odd season so far,” Penelope commented, “I’m quite happy to be in the country again this season. How are you, really?”

 

“I think I will probably stay in my rooms tomorrow,” Daphne admitted, “I think I’m nearly there.”

 

The following day, the midwife arrived at Clyveden and Penelope sat on the edge of her sister-in-law’s bed holding her hand and urging her to push. 

 

Several hours later, Daphne cried happily as she held her newborn son, “Earl Clyveden,” she breathed, “Your Papa is going to be so happy!”

 

“He is a beautiful boy,” Penelope smiled, “Did you have a name in mind or are you waiting for Simon?”

 

“We thought David for a boy,” Daphne replied, “Can you ...”

 

“Already done,” Penelope smiled, “I sent an express messenger off when the nurses were cleaning you up.”

 


 

“That man has not got his hands on Gareth’s Danbury inheritance,” Agatha confirmed as Simon explained Gareth’s current predicament, “Gareth wasn’t old enough to take it when St.John died and so I kept it in a trust for him. It isn’t much; he was a younger son at the time but it will be enough to pay for his bachelor lodgings.”

 

“I might be able to help too,” Simon offered, “I’m sure I have a small estate or property that he can take over which should give him a bit of income but he’s still going to struggle until he comes into his St.Clair inheritance.”

 

“If there is any St.Clair inheritance left,” Agatha commented pointedly, “I hear the same rumours you do, Simon.”

 

Simon sighed, “He’s at Hastings House at the moment,” he stated, “I’m hoping to go back to Clyveden in the next  few days but I’m happy to leave a rump staff there with him for this season.”

 

“I will go and see him in a few days,” Agatha promised, “Between us we will be able to help him. Now, do I need to drag that idiot son of mine into town to present Gareth or will you do it before you run back to the country?”

 

Simon laughed, “I’ll do it,” he replied, “I already promised I would, I sent word to St. James’ today to get it all sorted.”

 

Just as the pair started to plot how to better help Gareth when he had been presented to society, a footman entered bearing a letter for Simon.

 

“Your Grace,” the man bowed, “A man has just brought this over from Hastings House.”

 

Simon frowned and took the letter from the footman, “Simon?” Agatha frowned, “Is everything alright?”

 

“I have a son,” Simon whispered, reverently, “Aunt Agatha, I have a son. David Anthony Joseph; I have a son.”

 

“Congratulations my boy,” Agatha beamed, “Go, back to Clyveden to be with your family. Give that great-godson of mine a kiss from me.”

 

“But Gareth ... his levee ...” Simon frowned. 

 

“I’ll drag that idiot, John, from the country then,” Agatha promised, “Gareth will be presented either way, we’ll sort it all out. Go and meet your son.”

 

Simon grinned and kissed Agatha’s cheek before bounding out of Danbury House and into his carriage. 

 


 

Francesca laughed as Michael told her tales of his exploits in the club the previous evening, “No wonder you all spend so much time there,” she giggled, “It sounds so much fun.”

 

“Well, maybe we could ...” Michael started. 

 

“What have I told you about putting ideas in my wife’s head,” John laughed as he entered the room, kissing Francesca’s cheek lightly, “Are you alright today?”

 

“I’m fine,” Francesca smiled, “Are you alright? You look so tired.”

 

“It’s this headache,” John admitted with a sigh, “I think I need to ask the doctor to come back again, but I’ve been so busy.”

 

“Take some of the laundenam the doctor prescribed,” Francesca stated with a frown, “You need to sleep without being in pain.”

 

“Later,” John promised, “I’ve got that meeting with Lord Liverpool this afternoon, I want to be clear headed for that.”

 

Francesca nodded, “Well, go for a nap then at least,” she pleaded, “I will make sure they wake you in enough time to get to your meeting.”

 

John kissed Francesca deeply, “I love you,” he whispered, “And I have made that other appointment we spoke about as well.”

 

Francesca beamed, “I love you too,” she replied, “I will see you for lunch.”

 


 

“Lady Kilmartin,” Lewis, the butler said, a tremor in his voice, “We can’t wake his Lordship. Is Mr Stirling still here?”

 

Francesca frowned, “What do you mean Lewis?” she asked, “And I believe Mr Stirling is in the library. What do you mean you cannot wake Lord Kilmartin?”

 

“Exactly that, My Lady,” Lewis replied, before leaving the room to find Michael.

 

Michael entered the drawing room five minutes later, tears streaming down his face. He dropped to his knees in front of Francesca and took her hand, “Frannie,” he said softly, “Frannie, John is ... John ... he.”

 

Francesca shook her head, “No,” she whispered, “He went for a nap; he can’t be.” She ripped her hand from Michael’s and rushed out of the room and upstairs.

 

Her scream echoed around Kilmartin House until Michael found his way blindly to her side and pulled her out of the Earl’s chambers turning her against his chest so she did not have to look upon her husband’s still form and holding her as she cried.

 


 

Francesca broke down when her oldest brother walked into the drawing room at Kilmartin House and pulled her into his arms. She screamed and cried and Anthony simply tightened his arms and kissed the top of her head, rocking slightly as he had done when she was a child. 

 

"What do you want to do Frannie?" Anthony asked softly, "Your room is exactly how you left it back at Bridgerton House or you can stay here."

 

"I don't want to be on my own," she replied.

 

"You won't be," Anthony promised, "I'll stay either way."

 

After a small negotiation it was decided that Francesca would return to Bridgerton House for the time being and Anthony wrapped her in her cloak and a blanket and ushered her into his carriage before directing the footmen to take them home. Francesca silently leaned into her brother's side, her eyes blank.

 

Anthony half-carried her upstairs and waited outside her bedroom as her maid helped her change and get into bed. The last thing Francesca saw before she fell into a fitful sleep was her oldest brother, sitting in a chair next to her bed, his legs extended as he read a book, one hand running across her hair as he had done when she was sick as a child. 

 

"Love you PapaAnt," she sighed, before she closed her eyes and silently cried herself to sleep.

 

Anthony's hand stilled slightly at Francesca's words before he collected himself, "Love you too," he replied quietly, "Just sleep, I'll be here when you wake up."

 

“How is she?” Kate asked quietly as she slipped into Francesca’s room.

 

“She’s broken Kate,” he said softly, “I’ve never seen Frannie like that. I’ll go back and speak to Stirling in the morning; we’ll sort things from there.”

 

Kate nodded, before gesturing to Anthony for him to leave the room as she slipped into the chair he vacated to watch over the younger woman. 

 


 

Francesca woke the following morning to the sight of her sister-in-law asleep in the chair next to her bed and Eloise and Hyacinth wrapped around her in the bed. She had no doubts that if she opened her bedroom door she would find Anthony and Gregory slumped asleep in the hallway too. Francesca would later discover that both Colin and Benedict had also returned to the family home on receipt of the news and had spent the night in the parlour, keeping watch in case anyone made their way downstairs or any callers came with condolences.

 

Kate and Hyacinth helped Francesca dress that morning; Hyacinth kneeling on the bed behind her to help pin up her hair whilst Eloise simply stood at her side, providing the steady comfort that only she could do.

 

“Frannie,” Colin smiled as he opened his arms to his younger sister, “Oh Frannie, I’m so sorry.” 

 

Francesca crumpled slightly and felt the weight of her other brother holding her up from behind, “We’re all here Frannie,” Benedict said softly, as both Bridgerton men held her tightly.

 

“Where’s Ant?” she asked quietly, “He said he would stay.”

 

“He’s gone to Kilmartin House to speak with Stirling,” Benedict replied, “Do you think you could eat something?”

 

Benedict sat with Francesca as the young woman nibbled on some toast, wrapping his arm around his younger sister’s shoulders as she cried silently.

 


 

“He didn’t have a will,” Michael Stirling stated as he and Anthony tried to sort through John’s papers, “The solicitor has been and said that we have to wait and see if Frannie is pregnant before everything is decided.”

 

“Shit,” Anthony breathed, “I’ll get Kate to ask,” he said, “She’s hardly speaking at the minute.”

 

“That little toady who is always following the King has been,” Michael spat, “Wanted to know exactly where the Dowager Countess Kilmartin was and if she was pregnant. He wants to set up camp to make sure we can’t either smuggle in a baby or fake some kind of miscarriage.”

 

“Let him try and come to Bridgerton House,” Anthony glowered, “We’ve all decamped back for now; that officious little bastard won’t get up the front steps.”

 

Michael snorted a laugh, “That’s why I forced her to go back with you,” he admitted, “I knew you would all protect her, better than I can do here on my own at any rate.”

 

Anthony nodded, “Let me know if you need any help going through all of this,” he offered, “And you are welcome to come to Bridgerton House at any time.”

 

Michael nodded, “I think I’ll wait here for my mother and Aunt to come down,” he replied, “I sent word yesterday but it will be ten days before they get here at the earliest.”

 

“You know where we are if you need us,” Anthony promised, “There’s only Daphne and Simon still in the country now; I’ve sent word but Daphne has only just given birth so I’m not sure if they will make it back.”

 

“I need to arrange for John ... for his body to be sent back to Kilmartin,” Michael stated, “We can hold the funeral mass here if that is what Fran wants but John will want to be buried back home.”

Notes:

So, there we have it. John has died and Francesca has been left on her own 😢. I hope I’ve managed to show how the family all comes together to help her. Also, I hope you liked the introduction of Gareth; I wanted to show a bit of a relationship between him and Simon as they would have known each other in this universe and with them both not having the best fathers, it made sense to me that they would be quite close. I've invented the names of Agatha Danbury's husband and son, they're not that important here we won't meet the son (and her husband is dead) but I couldn't have her and Simon talking about them without giving them names, it didn't work. (If anyone does know their actual names, let me know and I'll change it)

See you all next time for the continuation of Francesca’s story and the fall-out following John’s death.

Chapter 23: Chapter Twenty One - 1820 : Part Two

Notes:

Sorry this chapter is a bit later and shorter than usual; it’s quite a heavy one as we deal with Francesca’s grief and the fallout on the family and it just took a lot to write it. I normally manage to get a good chunk of the chapters written in a few hours on a weekend but this was a bit raw and I had to keep taking breaks away from it. So, here we go - this is not a fun chapter; we go deep into how grief impacts the family and there is a flashback to 1803 and Violet’s grief.

Also, there is a section where Anthony and Michael talk about opportunities in India. The East India Company is mentioned and I’ve tried my best to be as sensitive as possible whilst still trying to get across the attitude of British aristocrats at the time but I am a white English woman so please, please, if what I have written is offensive and not at all as sensitive as I think then let me know and I will come back and change it. I am not trying to offend anyone but I appreciate that I do not understand the cultural sensitivities that surround this.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Francesca hasn’t left her room in days,” Kate stated as she curled into Anthony’s side as they were sitting in their bed, “I’m worried about her Anth.”

 

“I know,” Anthony sighed, wrapping his arm around Kate, “I am too but I don’t want to push her.”

 

“Fine,” Kate agreed, reluctantly, “She is eating at least.”

 

“Eloise has spoken to her,” Anthony said softly, “They’ve opened the connecting door like they used to as girls, El came down to the study and told me.”

 

“That’s something,” Kate sighed, “I don’t know how to help her.”

 

“I don’t think we can,” Anthony replied, sadly, “I’m just comforted by the fact she is eating and she is at least, speaking with Eloise.”

 

1803

 

Anthony sat on the floor outside of the Viscountess’ chambers at Aubrey Hall, “Mother,” he pleaded, “Please, come out the babies need you.”

 

A wail was the only reply he could hear, “Mother,” he tried again, “At least unlock the door, please. I’m worried about you.”

 

Violet continued to cry, locked in her bedchamber. Anthony leaned his head against the door, closing his eyes as his mother broke down. 

 

“Anth,” Benedict said softly from the end of the corridor, “Is she coming for dinner?”

 

Anthony shook his head, “She won’t answer me,” he frowned, “I don’t know what to do Ben.”

 

Benedict frowned and made his own way to the door, “Mama,” he said softly, “Mama, are you coming for dinner?”

 

The only response was another wail from Violet, “She hasn’t eaten in days,” Anthony said softly, “Her maid says that she is refusing to dress and she hasn’t been to see the babies at all. I don’t know what to do.”

 

“Could a doctor help?” Benedict asked, “Is she still sick from the birth?”

 

“A doctor could quite as easily admit her to Bedlam as well as help her,” Anthony said softly, “I’m not prepared to take that risk.”

 

Benedict stared at his older brother in shock, “It can’t be that bad?” he breathed.

 

“She refuses to eat, to dress, even to leave her bedchamber,” Anthony listed, “When she does leave she flies into uncontrollable rages and she is refusing to see the babies. If that isn’t madness Ben, I don’t know what is. If we asked the doctor to come and see her, he would sedate her and then sit me down and press that I agree to let him admit her into that place. I can’t do that.”

 

“So what do we do?” Benedict asked, sinking to the floor to sit beside Anthony. 

 

Anthony simply shrugged and the brothers sighed before trying to plead with their mother again. 

 

“Anthony,” Kate said softly, “Anthony, it’s just us; we’re fine.”

 

“Sorry,” Anthony muttered, running his hand over his face, “Memories.”

 

Kate curled into Anthony’s side, “Do you want to talk about it?” she offered.

 

Anthony shook his head, “Fran is grieving,” he sighed, “But it could be so much worse, we just need to give her some time.”

 


 

“Frannie?” Eloise said softly, “Daphne has written, do you want to read it?”

 

Francesca simply held out her hand for the letter before settling back against her pillows. She had spent much of the last week in her bed, only allowing Eloise admittance through their connecting doors. 

 

“Is Anthony really worried?” Francesca asked softly, “I know he keeps walking past the door.”

 

“We all are,” Eloise replied, perching on the end of the bed, “I’ve told him that you are fine but I think he will feel better if you come down to dinner.”

 

“I don’t know if I could sit with everyone,” Francesca whispered, “Who will be here for dinner?”

 

“Just us two, Anthony, Kate and Hyacinth,” Eloise replied, “And I’m sure Anthony could make Hyacinth go to either Ben’s or Colin’s if you didn’t want to put up with her endless questions.”

 

Francesca nodded, “I’ll go speak to Anth,” she promised, “I just ... I don’t know what to do El.”

 

Eloise hugged Francesca tightly, “You don’t have to do anything,” she promised, “We can just stay here.”

 


 

Kate closed her eyes as she slipped out of Francesca’s room the following morning, the younger woman had just disclosed the fact that she was pregnant and did not know how to feel about it. 

 

“Is everything alright?” Anthony asked, as Kate slipped into his study, “Did you manage to speak with Frannie?”

 

“She’s pregnant,” Kate replied softly, “John knew and he was meant to go and sort out his will the day he died.”

 

Anthony shook his head, “Does she know how far along?” he asked.

 

“Baby will be with us early in the new year,” Kate replied, “I suppose you’ll have to let the officials know.”

 

“Not yet,” Anthony replied, “Let them come again, that little toad is lucky I didn’t kick him down the street.”

 

Kate smiled, “I know,” she said, giving Anthony a soft kiss, “But she’s 23 years old, she’s a widow. She isn’t that quiet little girl from the nursery anymore; she wants to be here for our love and our support but she doesn’t need you to threaten every caller with pistols anymore.”

 

“I know,” Anthony sighed, “But she just looks so fragile right now, I do just keep seeing that quiet little girl who would slink into the room and climb onto my knee. I’m just ... I’m glad it happened in London and she wasn’t on her own in Scotland with all of this.”

 

“The best of men,” Kate smiled, “You are honestly the best father to all of our children.”

 

Anthony smiled sadly, before giving Kate a soft kiss as she stood to leave the room.

 


 

“PapaAnt?” Francesca said softly as she entered the study just after Kate left.

 

Anthony turned and opened his arm for Francesca to slip onto his knee as she had always done as a child, “I think I should go back to Kilmartin House,” Francesca said quietly, leaning into Anthony’s shoulder, “John’s mother and Michael’s mother have both arrived now and well, it is still my house.”

 

“I know,” Anthony said softly, “But you are still welcome here, you know that.”

 

“I know,” Francesca smiled, “But, seeing everyone and all the children ... it’s just ... I just ...”

 

“Frannie,” Anthony sighed, “Trust me; I know. If you want to go back then I’ll get the maids to pack your trunks and arrange for the carriage to take you back. If you want to think about it and stay for a bit longer then, you stay.”

 

“I think I want to go back,” Francesca said after a short pause, “But, can El come with me? I don’t want to be all on my own there without John and ...”

 

“You and El always did seem to end up on the same bed when one of you was ill or upset,” Anthony said wryly, “Go get the maids to pack for you both and ask her to come and see me will you?”

 

Francesca nodded and kissed Anthony’s cheek, “You are the best, you know that right?” she sighed, “The best Papa. I love you PapaAnt.”

 

Anthony tightened his hold on her slightly, “Love you too Frannie,” he said softly.

 


 

“Frannie said you wanted to see me?” Eloise asked as she dropped into the chair opposite Anthony’s desk, “Is everything alright?”

 

“She wants to go back to Kilmartin House,” Anthony replied, “And has asked if you will go with her.”

 

“I’ll go,” Eloise replied quickly, “Why did you need to ask me that? Of course I’ll go with Fran.”

 

Anthony shook his head, “I know you would, I just ... will you make sure she looks after herself? I don’t know if she will have told you El, but she is with child. I need you to make sure she eats at every meal and rests properly.”

 

Eloise nodded, her eyes wide, “I will,” she promised, “Anth, will Fran be coming home now?”

 

“I don’t know,” Anthony answered honestly, “Kilmartin and Kilmartin House are her home now too. The decision is hers.”

 

Eloise frowned but nodded before leaving the room to oversee the packing of her things.

 


 

Michael sat looking over the account books in John’s study, even if Francesca was pregnant it was highly likely that Michael would be the person who would be overseeing the estate until John’s potential son was old enough to take over. He frowned as he read the lines of the accounts; John had placed an order at a jewellers a few days before his death, some trinket for Francesca no doubt but Michael had no idea what it could be or even when it would be ready. 

 

“Michael,” his mother, Helen, called from the door of the study, “Francesca has just sent word; she is coming home.”

 

“Oh,” Michael breathed, “I didn’t think ...”

 

“Her sister, Miss Eloise is accompanying her,” Helen continued, “But she wants to come back for now. I know everything is a little ... unsettled, right now but ...”

 

“It is still her home,” Michael cut in, “No matter what happens, Fran will always have a home at Kilmartin.”

 

Helen crossed the room and kissed the top of Michael’s head softly, “It will all be well,” she muttered, “Are you going to be alright dealing with all of this for a while?”

 

“I will have to be,” Michael stated, “Until we know how things will end up, I need to be here.”


 

Michael entered the study a few hours after dinner that evening to find Francesca curled on the desk chair, crying.

 

“Fran,” he said softly, “Fran ... did you need something?”

 

“Sorry,” Francesca replied quietly, “I know this is your study now but, it still reminds me of John and I just wanted ...”

 

Michael leaned heavily against the desk, “It isn’t my study,” he replied, “Not really; I’ll get out of your way.”

 

Michael left the study and leaned against the wall, Francesca looked broken. She had curled into the chair, wrapped in John’s banyan and Michael wasn’t sure if she realised that she had tears rolling down her face. He had always thought that Francesca was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen and even now, despite how broken she looked, there was still something ethereal about the younger woman. He wasn’t sure how much longer he could be around her without acting on his feelings and acting inappropriately on them now John wasn’t around to remind him of his real position in the family.

 

He thought back to the letter he had received just before John’s death, from one of his army friends, the man had set up a business in India and had invited Michael to not only invest in the business but to move out to India and oversee things with him. The two men had met in Whites the evening before John had died and Michael had expressed an interest in the venture; he had sent a short note the following evening explaining that he would not be in any position to make any moves or decisions for the short term but he was still interested. The more Michael thought of the beautiful but broken woman on the other side of the study door, the more the tropics of India appealed to him.

 


 

“I was thinking,” Benedict stated as he and Anthony nursed whiskeys in Whites, “Now Fran has gone back to Kilmartin House, maybe Hyacinth could come and stay with Sophie and me. We could take her to the opera next week when we go.”

 

“She does need to get used to being out,” Anthony agreed, “I’m not sure how Hyacinth will react to her season.”

 

“Well let’s hope she goes more the Daph and Fran route rather than taking Eloise’s example of a first season,” Benedict quipped, “You’ll never be rid of her if she decides to emulate Eloise.”

 

“Don’t even joke about that,” Anthony groaned, “But if you and Sophie are happy to host, I think Hyacinth would enjoy being out of Bridgerton House for the rest of the season.”

 

“How is Fran?” Benedict asked after a while.

 

Anthony sighed, “Grieving,” he replied eventually, “She’s interacting with Eloise more than anyone, but she is dealing with things.” Anthony paused for a moment, “I keep thinking about Mother, and how she was back then. Fran isn’t anywhere near that so I presume she is doing well.”

 

“I have been thinking the same,” Benedict confided, “I keep hearing her wailing; I suppose if Fran is making decisions about where to live and what she wants to do then she is doing well.”

 

“That’s what I keep thinking,” Anthony sighed, “I didn’t think we would be here again,” he said softly, “I always thought we would be old men before we had to go through all this again.”

 

Benedict nodded, “I know what you mean,” he stated, draining his glass, “I’m heading back, Sophie has been feeling a bit off colour the last few days; I don’t want to leave her for too long.”

 

Anthony nodded, draining his own glass before standing and leaving with Benedict.

 


 

“I am excited to go to the opera,” Hyacinth declared as she sat with Sophie and Benedict in the carriage on their way to Covent Garden, “Eloise does not enjoy it and she doesn’t think I will, but I do.”

 

Benedict sighed, Hyacinth had clearly decided that she would do the opposite of everything her sisters suggested. Part of him was glad that it was Eloise who had spoken to Hyacinth before this outing; the youngest Bridgerton sibling was very much spoiled, with all of her siblings giving her the most attention to make up for the fact that she had been born in that horrible period following the death of their father. Whilst it had given Hyacinth a strong and protected childhood, it had also rendered her hopeless in polite company as she was liable to speak her mind at any given opportunity regardless of whether it was called for or not. 

 

“I enjoy the opera,” Sophie agreed, “I adore Rossini’s work, it was always the one thing I loved coming to London as a girl.”

 

Hyacinth couldn’t help the awe that she felt as she stood in the foyer of the theatre, she had longed to join events such as this ever since Daphne had come out nine years earlier. No matter what Eloise told her, this was what she wanted; to be in a full gown and jewels in a room with the adults being taken seriously as a Bridgerton with her brother.

 

“I’m not as big a fan of the opera as my darling wife,” Benedict muttered in her ear, as Sophie chatted to some of the other women about that evening’s performance, “I’ll sneak you some wine if you don’t let on.”

 

Hyacinth giggled quietly, “I promise,” she replied, “I’ve never heard an opera before. I’ve heard Frannie playing some of the music and it sounds wonderful though; I really do think I will enjoy this.”

 


 

It was a month later when Eloise’s hastily scrawled note summoned Anthony to Kilmartin House, she met her brother at the door, shaking.

 

“El,” Anthony gathered her into his arms when he reached her, “What’s happened?”

 

“So much blood,” Eloise sobbed, “Frannie’s lost the baby.”

 

Anthony closed his eyes and exhaled heavily, “Where is she?” he asked softly.

 

“The doctors are with her,” Eloise said, her head still buried in Anthony’s chest, “She’s lost a lot of blood.”

 

Anthony tightened his hold on Eloise, “I thought she was going to die,” she whispered, “I’m scared.”

 

Anthony pressed a kiss to the top of her head and swayed slightly as the siblings embraced before Eloise led him into the drawing room where Michael and the mothers waited.

 

“I didn’t know what else to do,” Eloise admitted, as she sat next to Janet, “Anthony always knows how to fix everything, I just sent for him.”

 

Janet grasped the young woman’s hand, “It’s only natural,” she comforted her, “Francesca will want to see her family when she is feeling up to it.”

 


 

“I suppose this means I’m the Earl now,” Michael stated as he passed Anthony a glass of whisky in the study, “I don’t think I can do this.”

 

“You can,” Anthony replied, “You have to. I only ask that you allow Francesca time to recover, then I will make sure she comes back with us.”

 

Michael stopped his pacing at Anthony’s words, “Why would you do that?” he asked, the shock clear on his face, “Fran is John’s wife, this is her home.”

 

“And you are now the Earl,” Anthony replied softly, “You will need to take a wife eventually, whomever you marry will not take kindly to your brother’s widow still living here.”

 

“But ...” Michael protested, images of Francesca moving back to the Bridgertons and eventually re-marrying flying through his mind, “I ...”

 

“I won’t ask for her dowry back if that is your concern,” Anthony continued, “Like I said, I just ask that you allow her the time to recover before she moves again.”

 

“That is not my concern,” Michael snapped, “Francesca is the Countess of Kilmartin and she will have a home with me and at Kilmartin for as long as she wishes.”

 

Anthony slumped as he sighed in relief, “Thank you,” he whispered, “I wasn’t sure if you ... I know some ...”

 

“I am not some men,” Michael continued, “I understand that you are concerned for Fran’s welfare but please believe me when I say I am also concerned for her well-being.” Michael paused to take a large gulp of his drink, “John was more my brother than my cousin,” he explained, “We were raised together. I could not live with myself if I did not take care of his wife when he cannot do so.”

 

“I apologise,” Anthony offered, “I only wanted to...”

 

“I know,” Michael waved off Anthony’s apologies, “But you have no concerns on that front. In fact, I have been offered an opportunity in India and I am tempted to accept it. An old army chum has an in with the East India Company, he needs someone to help run his export business and it seems too good an opportunity to pass up. John’s steward has agreed to remain in post and he is more than capable of running the estate.”

 

Anthony blinked in shock, “I was going to ask if you wouldn’t mind acting as some kind of proxy,” Michael continued, “To take any decisions that the steward could not. Everyone knows how well the Bridgerton estate is run; I know you will do a good job of the thing.”

 

“Are you sure you should be making such a decision at this time?” Anthony asked.

 

“I have been thinking about the opportunity for some time,” Michael stated, “I put off the offer after John but ... I think now will be a good time to take it up, you must have heard the rumours, seen the things these Company men are coming back with. I think an expansion to India is just the thing the Earldom needs.”

 


 

A week after Francesca’s miscarriage, Michael told her of his new business venture in India.

 

“But you are only going to help set the thing up?” Francesca asked from her position on the chaise, “Then you will come back and run things here?”

 

“I was thinking of staying for a while,” Michael admitted, “It will take some time to set things up and I am not certain how things will work with the Company and the Rajas; I will need to be there for a long stretch of time.”

 

“But Kilmartin ...” Francesca protested, “You need ...”

 

“Campbell can run things perfectly well,” Michael replied, referring to the steward, “And I have asked Lord Bridgerton to act as my proxy for things that Campbell is unable to deal with. And you will be there.”

 

“And what if I am not?” Francesca challenged, “What if I decide to stay at Aubrey Hall with my brother? Or Clyveden with Daphne?”

 

“Fran, please don’t make this more difficult than it is,” Michael pleaded, “I can’t stay here, not now.”

 

Francesca was crying by the time Michael had finished his pleas, “Will you ever come back?” she asked.

 

“Of course I will,” Michael promised, “Kilmartin is home; I just need to get away for a while.”

 

Francesca nodded shakily and two days later stood at the steps of Kilmartin House with Janet and Helen as they saw Michael into his carriage for the first leg of his journey to India. 

Notes:

And it’s done! I hope it wasn’t too bleak for you all. I hope I’ve managed to show Michael’s grief and his longing for Fran here - I think that is an important part of their story and a large part of the reason he runs to India and I needed to get it in.

Next chapter we’re in 1821 - Hyacinth’s debut and Eloise finally meets a certain botanist. I hope I’ll have that one done in the next week as it will be significantly lighter than this one but no promises!

Chapter 24: Chapter Twenty-Two - 1821 : Part One

Notes:

Sorry this is so much later than planned! It took me a while to get this one going, I couldn’t decide where to start it as there is quite a bit going on really.

We are finally getting to Eloise and Sir Phillip’s story here and little Hyacinth is now ‘out’ in society. I know in her book, Hyacinth is quite outspoken and that is a large part of her character but I felt that as the youngest child she would have been quite spoiled and she has watched three (four if we count Edwina) of her sisters come ‘out’ and part of her has always wanted to join in so I’ve leaned into that part of her for this.

Hope you all enjoy!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Hyacinth perched on the bench at her dresser as Kate directed a fleet of maids around her room. Her presentation was now only days away and boxes from the modiste, milliner and jewellers had been arriving all week. She was brimming with excitement, she was finally, finally becoming an adult. She would now be able to go to all the events, the balls, the concerts that her sisters had enjoyed; enjoy time with her brothers outside of tea time and most importantly of all, she would finally be treated like one of the Bridgerton siblings and not like Charlotte, a child still stuck in the nursery. 

 

She had received letters from Francesca and Daphne both with their own advice for the season, telling her their tips for managing the whole thing and still having fun. Eloise had chipped in with her own advice but Hyacinth wasn’t so sure how helpful that was and so she was disregarding the majority of it until she had experienced some of the season for herself. 

 

Change was afoot at Bridgerton House in general, Edmund was almost ready to attend his first term at Eton and Charlotte had moved out of the nursery. Anthony had started wandering around the house complaining that he was now old but privately, Hyacinth and Gregory had decided that it was Anthony’s new tactic for getting out of things he did not want to do. 

 

Anthony was not the only sibling who was feeling the passage of time keenly; a few days before Hyacinth’s presentation the four brothers had gathered in Anthony’s study to have a private drink.

 

“I can’t believe it has been eighteen years since Papa passed,” Colin sighed as he sipped his drink, “We’re all grown now.”

 

“Don’t remind me,” Anthony groaned.

 

“You are not old,” Gregory interjected before Anthony could say anything further.

 

Benedict stifled a laugh, “Anth has always been an old man,” he quipped, “He’s just indulging himself now.”

 

Anthony threw a ball of parchment at Benedict and both of them grinned, “This is what you have been missing,” Colin rolled his eyes at Gregory, “So worth the wait, isn’t it.”

 

Gregory laughed and took his own drink, he still wasn’t sure how to react to this relaxed and joking version of his eldest brothers, he was so used to the more serious aspect of his brothers and this more relaxed and teasing versions of his brothers was taking some getting used to.

 

“So, I guess Kate has a list,” Colin laughed, “Who is top, or does she not think anyone in the Ton has the backbone to take on Hyacinth?”

 

Gregory sputtered into his glass, “Is there anyone who would?” he asked, “I don’t think I want to introduce her to any of my school friends; she would terrify them.”

 

Benedict lost control of himself and burst out laughing, “Hyacinth is too young to meet someone this season,” Anthony grumbled, “And your friends are still children.”

 

“If she is so young, then why are you having her come out this season?” Colin asked, “If you don’t want her to be married off somewhere then why bother?”

 

Anthony sighed, “Don’t you start,” he groaned, “Eloise was bad enough her first season. Hyacinth is eighteen and it needs to be done.”

 

“We could always get Daphne to take her in hand,” Benedict offered, as his laughter subsided, “The worst thing that could happen is if she and Eloise get into cahoots.”

 

The four brothers laughed again at that statement before turning their attention to other pursuits, namely a few hands of cards and discussions of Anthony’s race horses.

 


 

Whilst all the preparations for Hyacinth’s season were under way, Eloise holed herself up in her room. She had promised Anthony that she would try this season, they had their agreement that he would settle her dowry on her when she reached the age of twenty-six but that was another year away and she was enjoying her current correspondence. 

 

She had been writing to Sir Phillip Crane now for several years, what had started as a brief note of condolence and enquiry after his children had turned into years of correspondence and, at least on Eloise’s part, a burgeoning feeling that she believed could be love.

 


 

Colin rolled over as he heard Penelope getting out of bed and the unmistakable sound of her vomiting into the chamber pot in their small convenience attached to their bedchamber. 

 

“Pen?” he frowned, pulling his dressing gown on as he padded across the room to her side, “Is everything alright? Do I need to call the doctor?”

 

“There’s no need,” Penelope groaned as she reached for a small towel, “I know what is going on.”

 

Penelope gestured for Colin to move back towards their bed before she sank back against her pillows, “Colin,” she said softly, “I’m with child again.”

 

“Really?” Colin asked, with a quiver in his voice, “But I always thought ...”

 

“I know,” Penelope sighed, “I did too but ... well, maybe things have recovered now.”

 

Colin kissed her softly, “You’re staying in bed,” he ordered, “I’ll get the maids to bring you up something to ease your stomach. Promise me you will take it easy and won’t over exert yourself with the children today?”

 

“I promise,” Penelope said, seeing Colin’s obvious worry in his eyes, “And I promise that apart from Hyacinth’s ball, we can have a quiet season too.”

 

Colin smiled and kissed Penelope again, before disappearing through the connecting door into his own room.

 


 

A few hours later found Colin pacing Anthony’s study as he waited for his oldest brother to return. He had managed a somewhat brave face when Penelope shared her news earlier that morning but he was terrified and needed to talk to someone before he went back home. 

 

“Colin?” Anthony frowned as he entered his study, “Is everything alright? Humboldt said that you have been here for an hour; you should have sent word. I would have left Parliament early if you needed me.”

 

Colin shook his head, “I just ... I needed space to ...”

 

“Colin,” Anthony stood in front of his brother to stop his pacing, “You’re worrying me, what is going on?”

 

“Pen is pregnant,” Colin whispered before half collapsing into Anthony, “Anth, I’m so scared ... I shouldn’t have even ... she might ... ”

 

Anthony grabbed his brother to hold him up, “Oh Colin,” he sighed, “I won’t lie and tell you all will be fine, you and I both know I can’t guarantee that. But Pen is fine now, she should be well this time and between us all I am sure we can find the best doctors to make sure she is well.”

 

“I’m so selfish,” Colin whispered brokenly, “I should be happy with what we have and I just kept ...”

 

“Stop that,” Anthony said sternly, “I know you well enough to know that Penelope will have been just as willing to get to this point. You are worried and that is normal but you are not selfish Colin, not at all.”

 

Anthony pushed Colin onto the chair at the side of the desk and pressed a glass of brandy into his hand, “I can’t stop seeing all the blood,” he admitted quietly, “They had to burn the mattress in the end; we can’t possibly be that lucky twice.”

 

“Stop thinking like that,” Anthony stated, leaning on his desk as he sipped at his own brandy, “Penelope is still young; she has been healthy now for the last three years. There is nothing to suggest she will have the same experience this time.”

 

“We can’t be sure though,” Colin replied, “And I don’t know what I would do ...”

 

“Stop that now,” Anthony said firmly, cutting off Colin’s thought, “Retire from town for the season, I’m sure Lady Featherington and Kate will come out to Farnley when it is near her time and I will send down the best doctor I can find.”

 

“Pen wants to stay for Hy’s ball,” Colin replied, “But after that, we will go back to Farnley for the rest of the year. I’m sure the children will enjoy being in the country anyway.”

 

The two brothers finished their glasses and Colin stood to leave, “Congratulations Col,” Anthony smiled as he ushered Colin out of the office. Colin smiled sadly as he left Bridgerton House for home.

 


 

Within no time at all, Bridgerton House was a hive of activity as Hyacinth prepared for her presentation and ball. The young woman’s excitement had been growing ever since the family had returned to London and she was spending most of her time with both Kate and Daphne as the two women passed on the tips and tricks they had picked up over their years of doing the season. 

 

Daphne stood behind Hyacinth fussing with the jewels in her hair as Kate ensured that the feathers in her headdress were secure, “Are you ready?” Daphne asked softly, looking at Hyacinth in the mirror.

 

“I am,” Hyacinth grinned, “And PapaAnt is downstairs?”

 

“He is,” Kate assured her, “We’ll go to the Palace whilst Daphne finishes getting things ready here and then you can come back and dance all evening if you wish.”

 

Hyacinth beamed, “I am looking forward to that,” she admitted, “Gregory has said that he will introduce me to some of his friends.”

 

Daphne and Kate exchanged looks over an oblivious Hyacinth’s head, Gregory had plenty of friends not all of them would be considered suitable company for his younger sister; with many of the young men gaining reputations as rakes and gamblers alongside their studies at Cambridge.

 


 

A few hours later Daphne was fluttering around the Bridgerton House ballroom, making sure all the flowers and refreshments were perfect. With Francesca staying in Scotland this season, it had all fallen to her to make sure that the servants arranged everything to perfection; Eloise had always had no interest in helping to plan events and had somehow managed to even get out of helping Daphne with this one. 

 

“Mrs Wilson?” Daphne greeted the housekeeper, “Have you seen Eloise?”

 

“Sorry Your Grace,” the older woman replied, “Not since before Miss Hyacinth left for the Palace.”

 

Daphne rolled her eyes, “More than likely holed up in her room,” she muttered, “It’ll be easier to leave her there for now.”

 


 

Just as Daphne was bemoaning the fact she had been left alone to finalise the ball, Eloise was making her way down the servant’s staircase to the stables. She had made the decision to visit Sir Phillip in person; they had been corresponding for years and she felt as though she really knew the man now. He rarely came to town and with Sophie expecting hers and Benedict’s first child, Eloise had not had the opportunity to visit My Cottage and arrange a visit that way. 

 

She had been saving her pin money for months to have enough to pay one of the footmen to take her to Romney Hall or, if they refused, enough to pay a hired hack to take her the same distance. She had drafted a note to Anthony and Kate and left it on the sideboard in the hallway, knowing that Dunwoody would take it to them when they returned from the Palace. 

 

Confident in her scheme, Eloise left the stables when she realised none of the Bridgerton carriages were available and flagged down a hired hack just as he was turning into the square. 

 


 

Hyacinth felt as though she was floating as Lord Penbury led her across the dancefloor at her ball, the conversation was leaving a lot to be desired but this was her very first dance! She and Gregory had always spied the ladies who attended all of her sister’s coming out balls at Bridgerton House and she was now joining them. As she moved across the floor, she caught sight of her siblings. Anthony and Kate were standing close to the door, greeting any latecomers; Benedict and Sophie were sitting at one of the small tables positioned on the far side of the room, Sophie’s now obvious pregnancy preventing them joining in the festivities fully; Colin and Penelope had joined them with copious amounts of cake, to no one's surprise; Daphne and Simon were standing together on the opposite edge of the floor, both smiling broadly at her and Gregory was in a corner with his friends, trying not to look as drunk as he probably was.

 

Francesca had decided to stay in Scotland this season and that explained her absence from the ballroom, but, “Where is Eloise?” Hyacinth demanded as Lord Penbury returned her to Daphne and Simon, “I’ve seen everyone else, has she really not bothered to come down?”

 

Daphne huffed in frustration, “Honestly!” she grumbled, “I’ll go speak to Kate and we’ll get her down. I can’t believe she is missing your ball.”

 

Simon shook his head as Daphne made her way across the room, “Should we?” he asked with a grin, “Show them all how it is done?”

 

Hyacinth giggled, Simon was her favourite in-law for a reason, “Let’s!” she agreed, placing her hand in his as they headed to the floor.

 

“What do you mean she hasn’t come down?” Anthony asked as Daphne explained that no one had seen Eloise for a few hours, “We had an agreement this season.”

 

“I’ll go up,” Kate stated with a sigh, “You are too annoyed and we all know she won’t come down if you head up Daph.”

 


 

Kate slipped into Eloise’s room when her knocks were ignored, “Eloise, how are you sleeping through this?” she muttered, lighting the oil lamp on the younger woman’s desk before actually looking around the room. 

 

“How is it that I am playing hide and seek with a twenty-five year old?” Kate muttered as she looked in the nursery, Charlotte’s room and one of the quieter receiving rooms on the family floor, “If she is hiding behind some topiary in the ballroom I will not be held responsible for my actions.”

 

Kate made her way back down to the formal entertaining rooms and stopped along the way to check the library and Anthony’s study. She hurried back into the ballroom, “I can’t find her,” she whispered to Anthony, discreetly, “I’ve checked all the rooms upstairs, your library and the office. Could she be here and hiding?”

 

Anthony’s jaw clenched, “I’ll go and speak with Ben and Colin,” he replied, “Maybe she has slipped outside for some air. Where else could she be?”

 

“Colin has gone checking outside,” Anthony said as he circled back around the room to Kate, “And Ben has gone to check the attics.”

 

“Anthony,” Kate whispered fearfully, “What do we do if she isn’t in the house?”

 

“Question the servants,” Anthony replied, “Daphne says she spoke with Mrs Wilson earlier and she hadn’t seen El since before we left for the Palace. I don’t think anyone has seen her in hours.”

 


 

“What is going on?” Hyacinth demanded as Gregory led her on a circuit of the ballroom, “Why is everyone disappearing?”

 

Gregory sighed, he had known that keeping this secret from Hyacinth would not have worked, “We can’t find Eloise,” he admitted quietly, “But given that this is your night, we are trying to think of anywhere she could be hiding before we fully panic.”

 

“I’m guessing everyone has checked the obvious places,” Hyacinth replied, “What about the small nursery? It would be really quiet if she is really hiding away.”

 

“Ben has already checked all the rooms up there,” Gregory replied, “And Colin has checked outside. We honestly don’t know where she is; Penelope is going to check her letters now and see if there is anything in those that might give us some clues.”

 

Hyacinth’s eyes widened slightly in panic, “But ...” she began.

 

“Don’t,” Gregory warned, “Too many eyes and ears, just enjoy the ball and I’m sure by the time it is over, El will emerge from her hidey-hole.”

 


 

Penelope perched on the end of Eloise’s bed as Colin and Benedict emptied drawer upon drawer of correspondence on top of it, “There must be something in here,” Benedict stated, “But where on earth do we start? Looking at these, it is no wonder her hands are always covered in ink.”

 

Penelope grabbed the first bundle, “I think she might have grouped them,” she stated, “These are all from Gregory, and she has tied them with a dark blue ribbon. This bundle is from Edwina and it is a green ribbon.”

 

“These are from you,” Colin added, “A yellow ribbon. And these are Ben’s, with a white ribbon.”

 

“Daphne’s are pink,” Benedict added, “And these must be Fran’s in the red.”

 

“So what about the rest?” Benedict frowned, “There’s some here to aunts I think I have forgotten exist.”

 

Penelope sighed and grabbed a stack of the unsorted letters, “You two go back down,” she stated, “You can easily tell people I felt unwell if they ask. If all three of us stay up here, people will realise something is going on. I’ll be fine here and if I find anything I’ll come back down and send someone in to get you all.”

 

Penelope settled against Eloise’s pillows and started to scan over the many letters her friend had received. There were many to her aunts, catching up on family gossip and some to the Rokesby cousins. A surprising number from Mr Bagwell with Edwina’s comments in the margins; it seemed as though the three had set up some kind of debating society by correspondence. But nothing to suggest where Eloise could have gone or indeed, if there was someone that she had decided to meet.

 

Dejected, Penelope eased herself from the bed and started to make her way back to the door. Just as she was going to open it and head back downstairs, Kate rushed into the room.

 

“Sorry, Pen,” she rushed as she realised how close the door had come to hitting Penelope, “I just remembered something.” Penelope frowned as Kate continued, “She has a false back in the desk,” Kate clarified, “This is where we found all of those horrid pamphlets the season you and Colin wed.”

 

Kate jiggled the back of Eloise’s desk until a panel came loose, “There’s more in here,” she breathed, “Did you find anything in those letters?”

 

“These are all family letters,” Penelope replied, “Apart from an ongoing debating society with Edwina and Mr Bagwell, there is nothing but family gossip in all of them. Could she be headed to Oxford?”

 

“I doubt it,” Kate replied, “Edwina and Nicholas are heading to his father’s estate this season; they aren’t there. I’m sure Edwina will have told Eloise that in her letters.”

 

“To be honest, I haven’t read all of them,” Penelope admitted, “I read Fran’s latest to double check she wasn’t heading to Scotland and I was about to check with you if Edwina was in town before I read her bundle.”

 

“Let me read the last few,” Kate offered, “Can you see if there is anything in those hidden letters?”

 

Penelope nodded, and taking the new bundle settled back against the pillows and started to read.

 

“Who is Sir Phillip Crane?” Penelope asked after a while, “All of these letters are from him. I don’t think I recall the name but Colin and I haven’t been in town fully for the last few years.”

 

“I have heard the name before,” Kate admitted, frowning, “But I can’t think where.”

 


 

A few hours later, the ball came to an end. By some miracle, the family had kept the news of Eloise’s disappearance from the guests and everyone was happily talking about how beautiful Hyacinth had looked and how the Bridgertons always knew how to throw a fabulous ball. 

 

Anthony sighed in relief as the last guest was helped into their carriage and drove off from the front of the house. Kate and Penelope came downstairs at that moment with a bundle of letters they had found in Eloise’s room.

 

“Who is Sir Phillip Crane?” Kate asked, “I recognise the name but I cannot place it.”

 

Benedict and Sophie frowned, “He is one of our neighbours,” Sophie stated, “I think his late wife was some cousin of yours.”

 

“Lady Crane was some relation of mother’s,” Benedict added, “The estate is between My Cottage and Penwood Park. Why on earth would Eloise be writing to him?”

 

“I’m not sure,” Penelope stated, faintly, “But it has been going on for some time. I think it started as friendly correspondence, but these last few letters ... well ... I wouldn’t say they were just friendly.”

 

Anthony took the letters from Penelope and read them with a deepening frown, “It is only a few hours ride to Wiltshire,” he commented, “Could she?”

 

“But it is another hour from My Cottage to Romney Hall,” Benedict added, “They are into Gloucestershire; she would just about make it there in an afternoon. When was the last time anyone saw her?”

 

“She didn’t help us when we were getting Hyacinth ready for her presentation,” Daphne admitted, “And I was here from luncheon. I don’t think I’ve seen her since then.”

 

“So she could have left hours ago,” Anthony surmised, “She could be anywhere.”

 

“It looks like this Romney Hall is the safest bet,” Simon commented, “I can get my coach driver to put our fastest horses on the carriage and we could be there in a few hours.”

 

Anthony started to pace as he thought through their options, “If you come with us, we will only highlight something is wrong,” he admitted finally, “If the four of us go, we could just be enjoying some sport before Benedict becomes a father.”

 

Simon nodded, knowing that Anthony was correct, “We will stay here tonight,” Daphne decided, “Just in case something happens. When will you leave?”

 

“At first light,” Anthony decided, “It is too dark and late to leave now. In the morning, we will head out.”

 


 

“Will you stay here?” Colin asked Penelope the following morning, “I don’t want you at Number 5 on your own, not now. Get Nanny to bring the children over; they can run riot in the nursery with their cousins.”

 

Penelope nodded in agreement, “How long do you think you will be?” she asked, “If she really is at Romney Hall?”

 

Colin sighed, “It will take us the best part of a day to get there,” he admitted, “And then we will need to deal with whatever she has gotten herself into. A night at My Cottage at least, so at most, a week?”

 

Penelope nodded before kissing Colin deeply, “Don’t be too angry with her,” she whispered, “I think Eloise has been very lonely for a long time.”

 

“She might be,” Colin replied, his voice hardening, “But she knows how things work; it’s not like he is some printer’s apprentice that she had to hide from us all.”

 


 

In their own rooms, Benedict and Sophie were having a similar conversation, “If I had known this season would have resulted in a mad dash back home, I would have stayed in the country,” Benedict grumbled, “I don’t know how long we will be and I don’t want to drag you back across the country, not in your condition.”

 

“I could come in a few days,” Sophie replied, “I’m not that far gone yet that I cannot travel, and it is only a day to get home. I won’t come as far as Romney Hall or Penwood but I have always wanted to have this little one at My Cottage.”

 

Benedict sighed and kissed Sophie before cradling her bump softly, “When I know more I will send word,” he promised, “I did think better of Sir Phillip though, I must admit.”

 


 

In their rooms, Kate stood behind Anthony who had leaned down to put on his boots, she ran her hands over his shoulders, “Please don’t do anything you may regret,” she said softly, “I know Eloise has behaved abominably but this may be her only hope at marriage, you do not want to end it by killing your potential brother-in-law.”

 

Anthony sighed, leaning into Kate’s touch, “I know,” he replied, “I can’t work out if I am so angry I don’t know what to do, or if I am so worried I will just be happy to see that she is alive and well.”

 

“Well be both,” Kate shrugged, “Just send word as soon as you know what is going on.”

 

The four brothers met in the entrance hall of Bridgerton House before climbing into their carriage and setting course for Gloucestershire. 

Notes:

I really didn’t want to just copy wholescale Eloise’s story from the book so I’ve imagined her sneaking out of Bridgerton House and the family realising she has gone and the frantic (but discreet) search for her. I’m not planning on going into the details of her few days at Romney Hall before the brothers arrive because I imagine it being the same as the books. We’ll pick this story back up in the next chapter when the Bridgerton Brothers arrive at Romney Hall to ‘rescue’ Eloise. I’m not putting a timescale on when I’ll have it up because as we all know, I’m terrible at sticking to my own deadlines!

Chapter 25: Chapter Twenty Three - 1821 : Part Two

Notes:

Hello! This one has taken a while!

It’s taken me a while to get this one together, there’s a lot of jumping around and it’s been a bit of a struggle to get it together. I hope this works!

This is it now for 1821, next chapter we’re into 1822. I’m jetting off for some winter sun next weekend so it will get the second week of December at the earliest before the next chapter is up (I will get to 1822 before Christmas, I promise!)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Benedict entered My Cottage to the shock of his housekeeper, “Mr Bridgerton!” the woman exclaimed, “Is Mrs Bridgerton with you? We haven’t set anything up for the birth, I thought you were staying in London.”

 

“Just me and my brothers, Mrs Crabtree,” Benedict replied, “Has Miss Eloise been here at all?”

 

“Miss Eloise?” the older woman frowned, “No Sir, no one has been by since you and Mrs Bridgerton left for London. Is everything alright?”

 

“Of course,” Benedict smiled, catching Anthony’s eye as the three other brothers hovered in the entrance hall, “Can you please set up some rooms for my brothers and arrange for a small dinner for this evening. We’re going to head out for some sport tomorrow and may return with guests.”

 

Mrs Crabtree blinked and nodded before rushing off to ensure that Benedict’s orders were carried out.

 

“So she hasn’t stopped off here,” Anthony sighed as he dropped into an armchair, “How far is it to this Romney Hall from here?”

 

“About an hour across country,” Benedict replied, “Probably longer along the roads in a carriage. She couldn’t have done it all in a day from London.”

 

“So where did she stay last night?” Gregory asked, his eyes wide, “She took a hired hack from London, surely she wouldn’t have slept in that?”

 

Benedict shook his head, “I doubt the coachman would have carried on in the dark,” he replied quietly, keeping his eyes on Anthony who was growing more and more furious as the brothers spoke, “There are a couple of coaching inns along the road from London but there is no way of knowing which one she could have stayed in.”

 

“And we are not asking,” Anthony stated, “We’ll get some sleep tonight and then go over to Romney Hall in the morning.”

 

As Colin and Gregory made their way out of the parlour, Anthony turned to Benedict, “What is he like? Sir Philip?” he asked.

 

“I always found him to be pleasant,” Benedict replied, “But then I also didn’t imagine that he could have carried on this level of correspondence with El behind all our backs so I’m not sure I’m the best judge of character here.”

 

“But you’ve met him,” Anthony pressed, “Which is more than the rest of us can say.”

 

Benedict nodded, “But clearly, I didn’t know him as well as I thought I did.” 

 


 

As her brothers were settling into My Cottage for the evening, each of them worrying about her welfare and safety, Eloise was sitting down to dinner with Sir Philip. 

 

“Did you manage to get your work done this afternoon?” Eloise asked, “The children and I had a lovely afternoon in the grounds.”

 

Philip smiled, “I did manage to conduct my experiment,” he replied, “I think this set will bear fruit. I hope the twins did not run you ragged, it is bad enough that they have been pranking you.”

 

“Oh that wasn’t too bad,” Eloise laughed, lightly touching the bruise that had formed over her eye, “My younger brother has done worse to me over the years. They took me over to the stables,” she continued, “I think Amanda would like a pony, she was talking about how her mother used to ride.”

 

Philip sighed, “She did,” he admitted, “And I suppose Amanda is the right age to start to learn. Oliver will need to know how to ride before he goes up to school, maybe I will start teaching them but they need to learn how to behave first.”

 

“They are not that bad,” Eloise protested, “Just a little wilful.”

 

Philip simply raised his eyebrow at Eloise’s statements, “They arranged for you to fall down the stairs,” he pointed out, “And tried to cover you in scraps from the kitchen.”

 

“And I have done worse to my siblings,” Eloise replied with a grin, “There are eight of us and only my eldest brother has ever been exempt from our pranks.”

 


 

The little bubble that Eloise and Philip had created at Romney Hall came crashing down around them the following morning. Part of Eloise knew that it had been too good to be true, that Anthony would not let her simply return in a few weeks as planned with an announcement of a suitor and potential husband but she was not prepared for Anthony’s anger when he arrived at Romney Hall. 

 

Anthony stormed into Romney Hall and stopped dead when he saw Eloise, or more accurately, the bruise on her face. 

 

Anthony crossed the hallway in several strides, taking her chin in his hand, “Who did this?” he said, a dangerous undertone in his voice, “Tell me you are unharmed.”

 

“It was an accident,” Eloise replied, “Anthony, I’m fine. Why are you all here?”

 

“Is that a serious question?!” Benedict scoffed.

 

Eloise rolled her eyes and lifted her chin out of Anthony’s hold before turning and heading into the dining room. 

 

The brothers all exchanged uneasy glances, Anthony’s anger had been boiling ever since they left London and Eloise seemed unconcerned, even annoyed at their interruption. 

 

Anthony followed her into the dining room and pushed her into a seat, the other three Bridgerton men followed to try and keep tensions between the siblings from completely destroying their relationship.

 

“Anthony!” Eloise shouted, as Anthony grabbed Sir Philip and forced him against the wall, “Get off him!” 

 

“Stop it Eloise,” Benedict ordered, pulling her away from Anthony, “Sit down and be quiet for once in your life!”

 

“No!” Eloise protested, “You cannot do this! Anthony, stop!”

 

Colin walked up to Anthony, “One square punch and then we see what she has to say for herself,” he whispered, “I’m sure there will be other ways of sorting this out, if needed.”

 

Anthony nodded and gave Sir Philip a look of complete loathing before turning and punching the man square in the face. Sir Philip wisely stayed slumped against the wall as Anthony spun to face Eloise.

 

“Sit down Eloise,” Anthony spat before he started pacing the room.

 


 

Eloise sat at the dining table feeling very small as her brothers all took up positions around the table, Benedict next to her glaring alternately and her and Philip; Colin at the opposite end with a look of frustration on his face and Gregory, baby Gregory next to Colin looking exhausted. 

 

Anthony paced the room, a look of utmost fury on his face. She had not seen Anthony this angry since the distant season of 1814 when her foray into politics had been discovered.

 

“I thought we had passed all of this Eloise,” Anthony said quietly as he finally came to a stop, “That we were beyond you acting like a child when you were not the centre of attention.”

 

“That isn’t ...” Eloise began but upon seeing the looks on her brothers faces stopped immediately.

 

“Do not argue with me Eloise!” Anthony thundered, “How else do you explain this? We were all occupied by Hyacinth’s presentation and you leave to ... to do what? Come here, to see some man we do not know.”

 

“Did you not think of saying something, of going to My Cottage?” Benedict asked as Anthony stopped, “You must have passed a dozen roads leading to My Cottage before you reached here. And the only reason you know this man is because I introduced you both!” 

 

“You must have known we would not approve,” Colin continued, “Penelope found your letters to him in the false bottom you had built into your desk.”

 

“Do you know what the family back in London is doing right now?” Anthony asked, standing next to Benedict and leaning towards Eloise, “They are contacting the solicitors to make sure we had enough liquid funds in case someone had kidnapped you. How stupid of us to not realise you had simply run away.”

 

“I left a note!” Eloise shouted at her brothers, “On the hallway table.”

 

“A note!” Gregory scoffed, “Well that would have solved everything wouldn’t it. We did not find a note Eloise, you disappeared in the middle of Hyacinth’s ball but you left a note so we are just being ridiculous!”

 

“I will not be scolded by an infant!” Eloise protested, “Gregory is only just out of leading strings!”

 

“You will if you continue to act like an infant,” Anthony retorted, “Do not take your tantrum out on Gregory simply because he pointed out the flaws in your plan.”

 

“Go back to the note,” Benedict said, coldly, “What did this mythical note say? You claim to be a writer Eloise, your hands are permanently stained with ink, so what did you write that would make us not think you had been spirited away by some nefarious person?”

 

Eloise flinched at the tone taken by her favourite brother, “That I was going away for a few weeks but I was fine and I would come back with news within three weeks,” Eloise replied with a smile, “So really, if you had all just bothered to look ...”

 

Anthony slammed his hand down on the table, “You are not this stupid Eloise,” he laughed, “You run off to stay with someone we do not even know and  you expect us to smile, pat you on the head and tell you everything is fine?!”

 

“You have always been so desperate for me to marry ...” Eloise protested, “I just ...”

 

“You are not this stupid!” Colin exploded, “We have seen your letters, it is clear that you have been corresponding with this man for years. Is there something wrong with you?” Colin directed to Philip, “Something that would mean we would not accept you?”

 

“You can’t speak to him like that!” Eloise shouted back, “How dare you!”

 

“It is a fair question,” Benedict stated, “Why have you never made yourself known? You have carried on a correspondence with my unmarried sister for years, why have you never mentioned it? You cannot say that you did not know who to speak to, where to find us.”

 

Eloise slumped in her chair, “Go upstairs and pack your things,” Anthony ordered, “Do not argue with me Eloise, leave the room now.”

 

Eloise scoffed and stormed out of the room, muttering all the while about being treated like a child.

 


 

With Eloise out of the room, Anthony turned to Sir Philip, “I should call you out right now,” he stated, “And I do not believe that she came by that bruise accidentally. Tell me what happened and I will hold off getting my pistols from the carriage.”

 

“My children,” Sir Philip sighed, “They are a little wild and have been playing pranks on Miss Eloise, one prank resulted in her falling down the stairs.”

 

Anthony and Benedict exchanged looks, “Fine,” Anthony sighed, “So I won’t call you out for injuring her ...”

 

“Why did you not send her to My Cottage?” Benedict asked softly, “You had to know that we would react this way.”

 

“I know I should have done,” Philip replied, “But Eloise also told me that you were in London.”

 

“What about Penwood Park?” Benedict replied, “Why not send her there?”

 

“I didn’t think,” Philip admitted.

 

“Clearly,” Colin scoffed, with an eye-roll.

 

“You will marry her,” Anthony stated, “As soon as possible.”

 

“Anthony!” Eloise protested from the doorway, “What about what I want?”

 

“I would think you being here was some indication of what you want Eloise,” Anthony replied, “You will be marrying this man; as soon as can be arranged.”

 


 

“You can stay at My Cottage,” Benedict stated as the brothers and Eloise climbed into the carriage, “I’ll change horses when we get there but then I’m heading back to London.”

 

“I’ll come with you,” Colin nodded, “If we leave immediately, we should be back in London by nightfall.”

 

“But why would you...” Eloise began, tearfully, “I want you both at my wedding.”

 

“Well you should have thought of that,” Benedict snapped in reply, “Sophie is due to give birth soon; I will not be asking her to drag herself back across the country now and I will not leave her whilst she gives birth to my first child.”

 

“And I am not leaving Pen in London on her own either,” Colin replied.

 

Eloise stared at her brothers, her eyes clouding with tears, “But surely, Pen ... She is my best friend.”

 

“Is she?” Colin replied, “You didn’t bother to tell her about all of this. You do not get to be upset because she will not be here for your wedding when you plotted to make sure she wouldn’t be.”

 

“Anthony!” Eloise gasped, “How soon can Frannie get here?”

 

“Too late to actually be at your wedding,” Anthony replied, “I trust that Sir Philip will be able to obtain a licence in the next few days and you will be married by the end of the week.”

 

“And if I refuse?” Eloise challenged, “What will you do then?”

 

“Do not test me Eloise,” Anthony snapped, “Not marrying him is not an option.”

 


 

A few hours later, the Bridgerton party arrived at My Cottage and after a quick meal Benedict and Colin were back on the road to London.

 

“So, I know why I’m rushing to get back,” Benedict commented as they stopped for a rest along the way, “But why can’t you just ask Penelope to come with Kate and Hy in a few days?”

 

“She’s pregnant again,” Colin admitted softly, “After last time, I don’t want to leave her for too long and I’m not risking the ride back.”

 

“When is the new arrival due?” Benedict asked, “Surely she isn’t that far gone?”

 

“Baby will be with us by December,” Colin admitted, “And seeing as last time we had trailed all the way to Aubrey Hall and ...”

 

“I know,” Benedict stated, “Sophie said that she would be alright to return to My Cottage to have our little addition but I don’t want to risk it.”

 

“I’m tempted to head back to Farnley when we get back into town,” Colin continued, “So Pen is settled for the birth. I can’t see how racing back to Wiltshire and then back down to Farnley will do her any good at all.”

 

“Would you wait for Anthony and Greg to get back?” Benedict asked softly, “Before you go back to Farnley? I’m guessing Daphne will want to go to the wedding and we both know Simon can’t say no to her.”

 

Colin snorted a laugh, “How close is Sophie’s time?” he asked.

 

“Within a few weeks I think,” Benedict nodded, knowing that Colin had understood his wordless question.

 

“I’m sure Pen would want to be there for Sophie,” Colin continued, “We’ll stay for the birth and then head back to Farnley, I don’t want to stay in London for any longer than a month.”

 


 

“What happened?” Kate demanded as soon as the brothers reached Bridgerton House, “Where is Anthony and Eloise?”

 

“At My Cottage,” Benedict replied as he dropped into a chair, “They’re getting married, as soon as Anthony can get the licence from the local vicar.”

 

“So, what happened?” Sophie asked, reaching over from her own seat to hold Benedict’s hand, “Was she at Romney Hall?”

 

“She was,” Benedict answered, “And she was utterly bemused when we all turned up, worried out of our minds, demanding she return.”

 

Penelope sighed and looked at Colin who nodded with an exhausted look on his face, “Apparently she left a note,” he added, “She found it outrageous that we did not find it and that we did not simply take her word that she would be fine and would return.”

 

Kate rolled her eyes and sighed, “How angry was Anthony?” she asked.

 

“Oh absolutely furious,” Benedict replied, lightly, “At both of them, I think. But Eloise being Eloise did not help his temper.”

 

“But she is getting married?” Kate pressed, “There are things I need to prepare if she is.”

 

“She is,” Benedict confirmed, “You could get to My Cottage in a day if you wished to go.”

 

“Are you two going back?” Kate asked, “Or at least, Colin will you be going back?”

 

“Probably not,” Benedict replied, “I’m not dragging you back to Wiltshire when nothing is ready for us there,” he said to Sophie, “Anthony knows I will be staying here.”

 

“And I think we will be too,” Colin stated, from his place next to Penelope, “I was thinking of heading back to Farnley in the next few weeks and I don’t think racing off to Wiltshire will help at all.”

 

“Colin,” Penelope sighed, “I’m not going to break if we go to Eloise’s wedding.”

 

“I’m not risking it,” Colin replied softly, “We will stay here for a few weeks and then we are going home.”

 

Kate looked at the younger couple in sympathy, Penelope had disclosed that she was pregnant again when the men had left for Wiltshire and Kate knew that she was just as scared as her husband, “I’m sure Eloise will understand that you don’t want to travel such a distance,” she stated diplomatically, “Especially after...”

 

“But we can go?” Hyacinth asked from her own seat, “I would like to see Eloise get married, I’ve been to everyone else's weddings.”

 

“We will be going,” Kate declared, “I will arrange the carriage for the morning.”

 


 

“I’m sorry for being such a boor,” Colin said that evening as Penelope curled into his side in their bed, “But I’m terrified of dragging you all over the country after ...”

 

“I know,” Penelope replied, kissing him softly, “And I am too.”

 

“And I kind of told Ben that we would stay with him and Sophie,” Colin continued, “Until the others get back from Wiltshire. He is refusing to travel back until after she has the baby but he doesn’t want to be left here alone.”

 

“Understandable,” Penelope nodded, “So we stay in London until everyone returns.”

 

Colin kissed her softly, pulling her tighter into his side as they drifted to sleep.

 


 

Eloise sat at the vanity in the guest bedroom she had taken over at My Cottage as Kate and Daphne fluttered around her, preparing her hair and jewels for the wedding. 

 

“Have Ben and Colin arrived?” Eloise asked, looking at her sisters, “I do want to see Pen on my wedding day.”

 

“They aren’t coming,” Kate replied softly, “Ben doesn’t want to travel with Sophie so close to her time and Colin offered to stay in London with them.”

 

“But why couldn’t Pen come with you?” Eloise persisted, “I don’t understand why Colin is keeping her in London.”

 

Kate and Daphne exchanged looks over Eloise’s head, “Pen hasn’t been feeling too well,” Daphne stated eventually, “She and Colin thought it would be best to stay in London.”

 

Eloise frowned, but accepted the excuse as given, “Come on then,” she stated, waving Kate and Daphne away, “Let’s go get me married.”

 


 

For all her objections and arguments in the days leading up to her wedding, Eloise smiled brightly as Anthony held out his arm to escort her down the aisle of the church. Philip stood at the altar, smiling at her as she made her way towards him. 

 

Before she knew it, Eloise was pronounced as Lady Eloise Crane, married woman and step-mother to rambunctious twins who were chasing each other around the churchyard cheering at the celebration of the day. 

 

“Congratulations,” Anthony smiled, hugging her tightly, “When we get back to London, I’ll make sure all of your things are packed and sent on.”

 

“You’ve finally done it,” Eloise grinned, “I’m married, you can stop looking for that cottage to hide me away in now.”

 

Anthony rolled his eyes fondly, “I’m not arguing with you today El,” he replied, “For all that has happened, he seems like a decent sort and you do hate doing the season.”

 

“And seeing as Philip doesn’t like it either, I will never have to subject myself to it all ever again,” Eloise replied, triumphantly.

 

“Just promise that you will come and visit at least once during the season,” Anthony asked, “If only so we can all have dinner together at least once a year.”

 

Eloise smiled and leaned into Anthony’s side, “I promise,” she replied.

 


 

Whilst the rest of the family were celebrating Eloise’s wedding, back in London, Sophie was in her bed with Penelope by her side as she brought her first child in the world. 

 

After several hours of labour, a baby’s cry could be heard around the house on Mount Street that Benedict had taken for his London lodgings. 

 

“Congratulations,” Colin grinned as he and Benedict toasted the new arrival before the elder man rushed out of the study for his wife’s chambers. 

 

“Oh my love,” Benedict sighed, kissing Sophie deeply, “You’ve done so well.”

 

Sophie smiled back at him, “A son,” she replied, “Ben, we have a son.”

 

Benedict reached out for the baby and cradled his newborn son reverently, “Alexander,” he smiled, “That is what we agreed?”

 

“Alexander,” Sophie agreed, as Benedict passed the baby back to her.

 

“I’ll go and let everyone know,” Benedict grinned before bounding out of the room in excitement.

 

Notes:

I hope this worked! I wanted to show the concern the brothers had for Eloise and then their utter frustration when she is so unconcerned by her situation. I also wanted to show that Ben and Colin have other things to worry about and are so done with Eloise’s attitude at this point. There isn’t going to be a permanent falling out, please don’t worry, but in every family people need a bit of time apart and this is what they are doing here.

See you in a few weeks for 1822 and a new baby Bridgerton and the start of Hyacinth and Gareth’s story.

Chapter 26: Chapter Twenty Four - 1822 : Part One

Notes:

I promised that I would have this done for Christmas and I’m just sneaking it in! Sorry, it has taken so long; these later years are proving a little tricky as I’m trying to keep up with everyone’s different lives at this point and try and move things along as they all grow and that is proving a little difficult to keep track of!

This one is a bit shorter than normal and jumps all over the place - quite literally! We’ve checked in with everyone at the start of the 1822 season and I hope that I’ve done everyone justice. The next chapter will be up in the New Year (at some point) definitely by the end of January.

Hope everyone that celebrates has a lovely Christmas ❤️

EDIT 21/12/22 - I appear to have attracted a troll who has taken exception to the way I have written this story. Is this a Christmas present from the internet? However, I do this for fun in my spare time and I am not prepared to be abused by people who are not prepared to engage in actual conversation about the choices I have made for this story. So, I am sorry but I have changed my comment settings so only registered users can now comment and I will be moderating my comments before they appear on the site. Thank you to all the lovely people who take the time to read, comment and engage with this story - I love you all!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Gregory sat on the edge of his bed as he listened to the rest of the house moving around as they went about their morning tasks. He had been out with some friends the previous evening to the club and a few less-reputable establishments and was nursing a slightly woolly head as he woke. 

 

He knew that he was being somewhat of a coward but he did not want to go down to breakfast and see Anthony’s disappointed face again. Anthony had been deploying the disappointed face more and more often since Gregory had completed his studies at Cambridge and had taken to carousing around London with his friends. In Gregory’s mind, Anthony simply did not understand the temptations for someone of their station and Gregory had no way to explain it to him. 

 

Greg had no desire to explore the world, as Colin had done at his age; he possessed no artistic talents such as Benedict and so any kind of artistic pursuits were lost on him and despite the fact he was a better shot than Anthony (which really, did not take much!) he was still not of a standard that would endear him to military service, the thought of entering the Church bored him silly and so really, what was a young man in possession of a handsome fortune left to do with his time? At 21, Anthony was the Viscount, in charge of his seven orphaned siblings and conducting his search for a wife; Gregory did not have those responsibilities and so spent his time enjoying himself, much to Anthony’s annoyance. 

 


 

“Greg,” Kate knocked on his door, “Are you well? Do you want to eat breakfast this morning?”

 

“I’m fine MamaKate,” Gregory replied, pulling himself out of his thoughts and ringing for his valet, “I’ll be down shortly, please save me some food.”

 

“Of course,” Kate sighed, “And Greg, you can accompany me to the opera tonight. Please be home on time.”

 

Gregory groaned in response and heard Kate chuckle as she walked away from the door. 

 


 

“Is Gregory in any state to eat breakfast this morning?” Anthony asked as Kate re-entered the dining room.

 

“He is coming down shortly,” Kate replied, “I have told him that he is taking me to the opera tonight, I’ll try and speak with him then.”

 

“Or I could just speak to him,” Anthony replied, “When he finally puts in his appearance.”

 

“No,” Kate counselled, “Let me try first, you two have been clashing too much recently for that to work.”

 

“He is too old to be acting like this,” Anthony grumbled, “When I was his age ...”

 

“It was different,” Kate stated firmly, “When Colin was this age he was planning his tour and flirting with every girl in a ballroom. Greg is doing the same thing, leave him be for now.”

 

Anthony simply rolled his eyes and straightened his paper as Gregory slipped into the room.

 


 

“What are your plans for the day?” Kate asked as she reviewed some correspondence, “Colin has written, he will be bringing Hyacinth back to town by the end of the week but Penelope will be staying at Farnley.”

 

“Is Penelope well?” Gregory asked, as he loaded up his plate, “It’s not like last time?”

 

“She is fine,” Kate replied, “But it is too soon for her to travel, especially with the baby. I doubt Colin will be staying for the season.”

 

Anthony hummed in agreement, “I sometimes think he has the best idea,” he grumbled, “Coming in for a few events and spending the rest of the year in peace.”

 

“I take it you are spending the day in Parliament then?” Kate chuckled, “I am taking Charlotte to the modiste, she has grown out of her dresses again and I think Mary will need some more ribbons. I have no idea what that girl does to them at all.” 

 

“And you Greg?” Anthony asked, “Do you have any plans? Outside of spending the day lounging around the house that is.”

 

Gregory rolled his eyes, “Nothing set yet,” he replied, “But I’m escorting MamaKate to the opera this evening.”

 


 

Across Grosvenor Square, Simon and Daphne were sitting down to their own breakfast when Jeffries escorted Gareth into the breakfast room.

 

“Gareth!” Daphne beamed as the younger man entered the room, “Come, sit. Jeffries, can you please bring Mr St. Clair a plate?”

 

Gareth smiled at the couple as he helped himself to breakfast, “So, what brings you to town?” Simon asked.

 

“I thought it was time to come back,” Gareth answered, “I know my father is still around but I’ve tired of being on my own.”

 

Daphne beamed, “Well, I could ...”

 

“Daphne,” Simon interjected, “Leave it for now. Gareth, are you staying here or at Danbury House?”

 

“I have taken some lodgings,” Gareth replied, “Just off the King’s Road. It is only a simple set of rooms but more than sufficient for me.”

 

“Well you must at least come for dinner once a week,” Daphne insisted, “If my brother’s tales of his lodgings were accurate then you will not be fed otherwise.”

 

Gareth chuckled, “That’s not far wrong,” he admitted, “I would be honoured to accept that invitation Your Grace.”

 

Simon snorted at Gareth’s formality, “Do you have any plans going forward?” he asked, “My offer is still open, you know.”

 

“I know,” Gareth replied, “But I can’t accept it, you funded my trip. I can’t accept a house from you as well, Simon.”

 

“You would be doing me a favour,” Simon countered, “I have more than enough to be keeping up with, gifting you Martland Park would be one less for me to manage.”

 

“And one less for you to pass onto David,” Gareth countered, “I am not stealing your son’s inheritance. And we are not having this conversation again.”

 

“You wouldn’t be stealing anything,” Daphne soothed, “But what are you thinking of doing now?”

 

“I found some diaries from my grandmother,” Gareth admitted, “Grandmother St. Clair, they were in a bundle of things that Grandmother Danbury had kept for me. They are in Italian so I thought I would work on translating those; see if there is anything in them worth anything.”

 

“My sister speaks Italian,” Daphne smiled, “Perhaps I could introduce the two of you.”

 

“That does not narrow it down,” Simon chuckled.

 

“Hyacinth,” Daphne replied, “And she has been reading to Lady Danbury for the last few months; they somehow balance out each other and have been getting along fantastically.”

 

Simon rolled his eyes, he now had some idea of Anthony’s objections when he had first started courting Daphne. Gareth was far too much of a rake to spend any time with Hyacinth; to Simon Hyacinth was still the little girl just out of leading strings who ambushed him and Anthony whenever they walked into a room and therefore, was far too young to even entertain courting someone such as Gareth. 

 


 

Hyacinth sank into the chair at the side of Penelope’s bed and picked up the novel they had been reading. Penelope had given birth to Thomas a few months earlier and whilst she was nowhere near as unwell as she had been after Agatha’s birth; Penelope was still weaker than usual and was spending most of her time in bed. 

 

“Are we nearly finished with this one?” Penelope asked, sitting herself up against her pillows, “You can take it with you if you like.”

 

“I think we will finish it before I go back to London,” Hyacinth determined, “Unless you are too tired?”

 

“It’s fine,” Penelope smiled, “Just carry on if I doze off, I sometimes find this author a little dreary.”

 

“He is rather,” Hyacinth agreed, “But I am keen to find out how everything resolves. And it certainly beats the nonsense that I read with Lady Danbury.”

 

Penelope giggled, Hyacinth had shared the novellas that she read with the elderly matron and Penelope agreed that they did leave a lot to be desired.

 

“Colin said that you will be coming into town for Daphne’s ball,” Hyacinth continued, “Do you suppose I might have a suitor by then?”

 

“I’m sure if you wanted a suitor you would have one,” Penelope replied, “But, given that you seem to enjoy spending your time reading to invalids, I don’t think you want a suitor.”

 

Hyacinth grinned before huffing in agreement and picking up the novel.

 


 

A few weeks later, Hyacinth was back in London and back reading the adventures of Miss Butterworth and her Mad Baron with Lady Danbury. The older woman seemed to enjoy laughing at the ridiculous predicaments the protagonist would find herself in and Hyacinth seemed to have found her calling in drawing out the scenarios to the most ludicrous limits in order to entertain herself. 

 

“Don’t think I haven’t seen you!” Lady Danbury exclaimed as Hyacinth realised that someone had just tried to close the door they had just opened.

 

“Grandmother,” Gareth smiled as he crossed the room to kiss her cheek, “I was only coming to see if you were busy. But I can see you are so I will come back later.”

 

“Nonsense,” Lady Danbury scoffed, “Miss Bridgerton can only do so much with poor Miss Butterworth; come, sit. I’ll call for tea. Have you two met?”

 

“Miss Bridgerton,” Gareth smiled, with a small bow, “I do not think I have had the pleasure. I do know your sister though.”

 

“Which one?” Hyacinth quipped, “I have a few.”

 

“The Duchess of Hastings,” Gareth replied, “She did mention that you kindly entertained my Grandmother.”

 

“Well someone has to,” Lady Danbury grumbled, “Seeing as my own Grandson decided not to.”

 

Gareth rolled his eyes, “She says this like she didn’t help fund my tour,” he stated to Hyacinth, “And like she didn’t receive regular letters from me.”

 

Hyacinth giggled, she had heard tales of Mr St.Clair and would be happy to report to her friends that he was just as handsome as described.

 

“Actually,” Gareth continued softly, “Your sister did recommend that I introduce myself to you. I have a project I believe you may be able to assist with.”

 

Hyacinth frowned slightly, “I’m not sure what assistance I could provide that Daphne finds so indispensable,” she demurred, “What is your project?”

 

“My Grandmother St.Clair was Italian,” Gareth replied, “And I have her diaries. I had thought that they might be published, an interesting take on the events at the turn of the century, but she did not write in English and so I am a little stuck.”

 

“And I speak Italian,” Hyacinth concluded, “I only speak Italian though,” she continued, “I was never much good at writing or reading the language, but if no one of your acquaintance speaks Italian then I suppose I could be of some assistance.”

 

Gareth grinned, “It would be most appreciated Miss Bridgerton,” he replied, “Perhaps I could meet you here again next week to discuss the particulars?”

 


 

“Shall we go and see what Papa is doing?” Sophie asked Alexander as she bounced the baby on her hip, “He has been hiding in that studio all day, hasn’t he?”

 

Alexander giggled in response and clapped his hands as Sophie moved through My Cottage to the room Benedict had set up as his studio. It was rare that Sophie entered the studio, she was always loath to disturb Benedict when he was working but it had been hours since she had last seen him and Alexander was surely starting to forget what his father looked like.

 

“Oh Ben!” Sophie gasped as she saw the landscape that Benedict was working on, “That’s beautiful. Is that Penwood?”

 

“Based on Penwood,” Benedict replied with a grin, “With a bit of the gardens from Aubrey Hall too. It’s for the commission, do you really think it is good?”

 

“Of course,” Sophie replied, “And Alex agrees too, don’t you baby?”

 

Alexander giggled and kicked his legs, “Well that’s good enough for me,” Benedict laughed, “Did I forget something?”

 

“No,” Sophie replied, “We just thought we would come and see you. Is this the last one for the commission?”

 

Benedict nodded, “I’ve nothing else I can do with it today,” he sighed, “Come on, I’ll clean myself up and we can take tea in the garden whilst it is so nice.”

 

A short while later, the small family was gathered in the garden Benedict sitting on the ground with Alexander as the baby crawled around between his parents and toys.

 

“He looks so much like Greg did at that age,” Benedict said quietly, “I’d forgotten how small they all used to be.”

 

“Oh I bet Anthony wishes Greg stayed that young,” Sophie laughed, “I had a letter from Kate today, it seems that they are both sniping at each other again. Gregory still has not decided what he wishes to do now his studies have finished and Anthony is becoming impatient.”

 

“Anthony was born impatient,” Benedict laughed, “It was different for us,” he stated after a short pause, “Anthony was eighteen when our father died and he became the Viscount; he was younger than Greg is now when Mama died. He has been responsible for all of us in some way ever since; I helped him as soon as I had finished my studies at Cambridge. It was only when Daphne married that I started looking to pursue art as more than a hobby. Greg has the luxury of time but Anthony can’t see that.”

 

“How old was Colin when he married?” Sophie asked, “It must have been young, given that George is seven now. Surely Anthony should allow Gregory to act like Colin did at that age.”

 

“Which would work if Colin hadn’t decided he was in love with Pen when he was Greg’s age and declared that he would marry her when he came back from his tour,” Benedict replied, “Greg doesn’t seem to want to travel but has no desire to settle down either. I’m at a loss as to what to suggest he can do and Anthony must be feeling the same way.”

 

Sophie hummed in agreement before the couple turned to talking about gossip from Penwood Park.

 


 

A few miles away from Benedict and Sophie, Eloise was sitting in her dressing room staring in shock at her maid, “And you are sure?” she asked, again, “You haven’t miscalculated?”

 

“I am sure, my Lady,” the young woman replied, “You have missed two courses now and you are getting sick in the mornings or anytime someone serves fish, you are with child.”

 

Eloise shook her head, “I can’t be,” she muttered, “I have much to do, most of my sisters have children and they do not do anything anymore. Are you absolutely certain?”

 

“My Lady,” her maid sighed, “A child is a blessing, and didn’t you say that both Mrs Bridgertons have just had their own babies, having cousins the same age will be lovely for this little one. And Master Oliver and Miss Amanda will be thrilled to have a new baby.”

 

Eloise hummed and dismissed the maid, before leaving her dressing room to find her husband. She wasn’t certain how she felt about baby, she knew that both Sophie and Penelope had recently had their own babies and thankfully, this time Penelope was recovering well but she still clearly remembered the terror she felt when Agatha was born and the length of time it took for her best friend to be well again. 

 

“Are you feeling well?” Phillip asked as he entered the morning room, “You have been looking very pale lately.”

 

“I am with child,” Eloise replied, “Or at the very least my maid thinks I am. The symptoms match up with what Kate told me to expect.”

 

Phillip grinned, “That is fantastic news!” he exclaimed, “We must start telling the family, I’m sure your brother and Kate will be thrilled.”

 


 

“Are you heading to London this year?” Helen asked Francesca as the young woman entered the house after returning from her walk, “I don’t think we will be doing; not with Michael in India.”

 

“Not immediately,” Francesca replied, “But I will go down for a few weeks towards the end of the season; just to see everyone. I won’t be opening Kilmartin House, I’ll stay with PapaAnt at Bridgerton House or with one of my brothers.”

 

“Have you heard from Michael?” Francesca asked as the three Stirling women had tea, “I know it will take quite some time for post to reach us from India but I would have expected something by now.”

 

“Not much of anything since he confirmed that he had arrived and had located somewhere to live,” Helen confirmed, “I have sent him a few letters but I have not had a response.”

 

“I’m sure we would have heard if something had occurred,” Janet stated, “His letters are probably stuck on a ship somewhere on its way back to Liverpool.”

 

“That is true,” Francesca mused, “Perhaps something will arrive now the weather has cleared.”

 

“It did take a long time for the letters from your brothers to reach us over winter,” Helen agreed, “I’m sure something from Michael will arrive before you head down to London.”

 


 

“Papa, Baby Thomas is boring,” Agatha declared as Colin entered the nursery, “All he does is sleep!”

 

“That is what babies do my darling,” Colin laughed as he picked up Agatha and sat with her on his knee, “You did the same when you were that small, I’m sure George thought you were boring too.”

 

“But George is boring too,” Agatha declared, “All he does is his lessons, no one plays with me now Papa.”

 

“You had  your lessons this morning too,” Colin reminded his daughter, “Mama was looking forward to seeing your letters.”

 

Agatha sighed and jumped from Colin’s lap to grab her slate, “I’ll go show Mama now,” she decided, heading out of the nursery with a laughing Colin behind her.

 

“Mama!” Agatha exclaimed when she found Penelope in the sunroom, “I’ve come to show you my letters. Everyone else is boring!”

 

Penelope giggled and pulled her daughter onto the chair next to her, “Let me see,” she smiled, “Can you write your name?”

 

As Agatha bent over her slate, frowning in concentration, Penelope and Colin grinned at each other over her head, trust that their daughter would be the one to inherit Eloise’s temperament over the more easy-going nature of her parents! Penelope only hoped that Agatha would not prove as trying as Eloise had done when the time came for her debut. 



Notes:

So, I hope it’s kind of clear where I’m going with this. Gregory is a little lost (bless him!) and Anthony is being the typical father-figure here and doesn’t understand why Greg can’t just sort himself out. Hyacinth has finally met Gareth, we will see more of them in the next chapter and Simon is understanding why Anthony nearly duelled him all those years ago in 1813! I had it in my head that Simon would also see Hyacinth as this little girl who was always so excited to see him and is struggling to reconcile that with the nearly 20 year old woman she is by this point.

And Eloise! She’s pregnant but is so terrified of it all she doesn’t want to believe she is. I’m hoping to show her maturing now that she is a married Lady but she is still going to be that little girl in some respects.

See you all in 2023!

Chapter 27: Chapter Twenty Five - 1822 : Part Two

Notes:

Well, Happy 2023 everyone! This chapter concentrates more on Hyacinth and Gareth as we see their relationship develop. I hope that I’ve done Hyacinth’s character justice here, in my head she is a little (well a lot, really!) spoiled as all her siblings have babied her over the years and she has gotten away with a lot at Bridgerton House which leads her to be a bit too brash when compared to the rest of the debutantes out in society and I wanted to show that.

Next chapter we will check in with everyone else, particularly Eloise as she gets used to the idea of having a baby of her own but I just wanted to get Hyacinth and Gareth’s story underway before I got side-tracked by everyone else again.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Hyacinth stood at the edge of the ballroom with Kate, watching as this year’s debutantes took to the floor with the crop of young men who were all competing for the hand of the richest girl amongst them, Miss Noakes. 

 

“Penelope said that if I really wanted to be married this season, I would be,” Hyacinth stated to Kate, “But with Miss Noakes making her debut this year, I sincerely doubt that will happen.”

 

“Do you want to be married this year?” Kate asked with a frown, “You’ve never said, I’ve not started my list.”

 

Hyacinth rolled her eyes, “Don’t pretend Daphne hasn’t got one,” she retorted, “And I’m sure whomever decides that I am worth the trouble will need to be vetted by both PapaAnt and Simon.”

 

Kate chuckled, “I’m not even going to deny it,” she replied, “They have a whole plan of how to do it as well. I think they plan on roping Ben and Colin in on it too.”

 

Hyacinth slumped slightly, “Well then, I’m never getting married,” she sulked, “I’m not like Eloise, I actually do want to marry someone before I’m declared a spinster. I just think I scare them all off.”

 

Kate considered the statement, Hyacinth was still, even after years of coaching and polishing from both her and Daphne, a little too brash to be the most sought after debutante. She had been thoroughly spoiled by her brothers, Anthony most of all, and was far too used to being the most beloved and most adored person in a room. 

 

“I think Anthony might have something to do with it too,” Kate replied diplomatically, “Everyone knows he can be absolutely terrifying when he wants to be.”

 

Hyacinth laughed, “No he isn’t,” she giggled, “Why on earth would anyone think that?”

 

Kate shook her head, “Just trust me,” she replied with a grin of her own, “The Right Honourable Viscount Bridgerton is a terrifying man. We get Anthony, the rest of the world gets the Viscount. These boys in this room are far too green to try and stare down Viscount Bridgerton.”

 

Hyacinth pouted slightly, “Well, if someone thinks that then maybe they aren’t worth the trouble,” she declared.

 

Kate smothered a grin as a young man approached, with a self-assured smile on his face.

 

“Miss Bridgerton,” Gareth smiled as he reached the two women, “May I have the honour?”

 

“Mr St.Clair,” Hyacinth replied, holding out her dance card, “MamaKate, this is Mr St.Clair, Lady Danbury’s grandson. She introduced us one afternoon while I was reading.”

 

Kate smiled, “Well, it is nice to meet you Mr St.Clair,” she replied, “I understand you have been on your tour?”

 

“Yes,” Gareth confirmed, “I travelled the continent and some of the Americas before coming home. Miss Bridgerton, when you are next with my Grandmother I may drop by with those books we discussed. I truly do not have any other acquaintance that can read Italian.”

 

Hyacinth grinned, “I do love a challenge,” she agreed, “I will be at Danbury House on Tuesday afternoon.”

 

When Gareth led Hyacinth back to Kate following their dance, Kate simply looked at Hyacinth, “Discussing books?” she asked.

 

“He has some diaries from his maternal grandmother, she was Italian,” Hyacinth explained, “He would like them translated and Daphne mentioned that I know Italian and volunteered my services.”

 

“How does he know Daphne?” Kate frowned, “I know Lady Danbury knows most of London but even for her this is quick work.”

 

“I am not sure,” Hyacinth replied, “But I think he probably knows Simon.”

 

Kate hummed in agreement, her mind already racing through all the things she knew about the young Mr St.Clair and his family. The look on Hyacinth’s face suggested that she had in fact made up her mind as far as her suitor was concerned, Kate just wasn’t certain that the young man had reached the same conclusion. 

 


 

“What do you know of Gareth St.Clair?” Kate asked Anthony as they sat in their bed, “All I know is he is Lady Danbury’s grandson and somehow knows Daphne.”

 

“Why?” Anthony frowned, “He is still abroad isn’t he? I know Simon was helping to fund his tour; I’ve met him a few times before he left.”

 

“He is back,” Kate replied, “Has already managed to meet Hyacinth and she seems quite taken by him. Is he close with Simon?”

 

“I think so,” Anthony replied, “But unless there has been a drastic change in his circumstances since the last time I saw him, he will not be marrying Hyacinth. The St.Clair barony is being run into the ground by his father and he is not having Hyacinth’s dowry to prop it up.”

 

“Gareth or the father?” Kate asked lightly.

 

“Either. Both,” Anthony replied, “Gareth is nice enough, for an irresponsible rake, but his father is a right bastard. They had a falling out, around the time Gareth went up to Oxford and Simon and Lady Danbury have been supporting him ever since. I’m not sure if Gareth is aware of the extent that Simon is propping him up though; I only know because he told me when David was born.”

 

“In one of your many manly discussions,” Kate laughed, “Where you both discuss ...”

 

“Terribly boring things,” Anthony replied, but on seeing Kate’s face, elaborated, “Mainly what we want to happen with dowries and inheritances should we die unexpectedly. I’m not leaving Edmund in the same mess I was in when I inherited and Simon doesn’t want to do the same to David. I won’t claim to be privy to every transaction of his Duchy but I know how much the girls will be getting, how much he is leaving to support Daph and how much he is leaving to Gareth St.Clair.”

 

“And ...” Kate pressed, “Anthony, I think Hyacinth really likes him, if you are serious about not letting the match go ahead you will need a better reason than his father is a bastard and the barony is nearly destitute. Not when we both know that Hyacinth will be a very wealthy woman and Mr St.Clair will be inheriting a tidy sum from his relative, the Duke of Hastings.”

 

“It is substantial enough that the inheritance from Hastings would not only support the barony but it would transform it,” Anthony sighed, “And I have always said that when the girls marry, it would be to someone who could support them, someone that would let them live like they are used to. I know they all have substantial dowries Kate, but it would not be enough to guarantee that for Hyacinth. Not with the way St.Clair is burning through his money.”

 

Kate sighed but sensing she would not get anymore out of Anthony on the subject, let the matter rest. She would speak with Daphne and see what the other woman thought of the match before deciding how to best approach the matter with Hyacinth. She only hoped that Mr St.Clair did not come calling in the morning, she did not want to deal with the fallout if Anthony ran him out of the house.

 


 

Gregory stumbled through the reading room at Whites laughing with one of his friends when he spotted Anthony in the corner, frowning at him over his newspaper. Gregory rolled his eyes and bid his friend good-bye before making his way over to his brother.

 

“Is this all that you have done all day?” Anthony sighed as Gregory slumped into the chair on the other side of the small table. 

 

“No,” Gregory replied, slightly petulantly, “We have been to the boxing.”

 

“Oh, I am sorry,” Anthony replied with an eye-roll, “What a productive day you have had Gregory, do you want to know what I have done today?”

 

“Not really,” Gregory grumbled, “But I’m sure it was terribly important and serious.”

 

Anthony shook his head, “Greg,” he sighed, “I don’t know what to do with you. You say you don’t want to join the church or the military; which is fine. You don’t want to travel, you don’t want to pursue a career in anything else and you don’t want to marry. Greg; you cannot keep carousing around town forever.”

 

“Ben wasn’t married when he was my age,” Gregory protested, “And we all heard the rumours of his antics before he met Sophie. Just because you and Colin were married, does not mean that I need to be.”

 

“I’m not saying that Greg,” Anthony replied, “I just ... Kate and I are worried about you.”

 

“Don’t be PapaAnt,” Gregory grinned, “I’m fine.”

 

Anthony shook his head fondly as Gregory ambled away, back towards his group of friends who were cheering each other around the gambling tables.

 


 

“Oh look, my wondering Grandson,” Lady Danbury drawled as Gareth walked into the drawing room where Lady Danbury and Hyacinth were taking tea, “And just in time for tea.”

 

Gareth grinned and kissed his grandmother on the cheek, “I may have found out the time you serve tea,” he quipped, “As a young man in my situation, I must take my meals when I can.”

 

Lady Danbury rolled her eyes, “He says this like he is begging for scraps at the side of the road,” she stated in an aside to Hyacinth, “Not living in bachelor lodgings along the Kings Road.”

 

Hyacinth giggled, “I know my brother always said that bachelor lodgings leave much to be desired in terms of cuisine,” she replied, “Or at least that is the excuse he gave MamaKate when he always turned up for dinner.”

 

Gareth gave Lady Danbury a pointed look, and the elderly woman rolled her eyes as Gareth loaded his plate with sandwiches and cake. 

 

“Miss Bridgerton,” Gareth began after he had arranged his food, “I have one of the journals we spoke of, could I perhaps pass it to you today?”

 

Hyacinth beamed, “Of course, Mr St.Clair,” she agreed, “I have pulled out my Italian primers at home to assist. Would you be happy if I took the journal home with me today and I should be able to get the first few pages back to you by next week?”

 

“What is this?” Lady Danbury asked, sharply, “I do hope nothing untoward is going on; I would hate to have to arrange your funeral Gareth.”

 

“Miss Bridgerton has kindly agreed to help me translate my Grandmother St.Clair’s diaries for me,” Gareth explained, “She has written it all in Italian and I do not speak or read the language.”

 

“And you do, I presume,” Lady Danbury addressed Hyacinth.

 

“I do,” Hyacinth grinned, “And German and French; if you ever have the need.”

 

Lady Danbury hummed as she thought over the situation, “Any exchange of books or notes must be done here,” she decreed, “Under my supervision during tea-time. I appreciate that you will see each other at balls and such and you will converse there under the eyes of the Ton but I cannot and I will not condone you meeting in secret all with the purpose of reading these diaries. Do you both understand?”

 

Hyacinth nodded whilst Gareth rolled his eyes, “I do know how to behave you know Grandmother,” he grumbled, “I have no desire to be on the other end of Viscount Bridgerton’s duelling pistol.”

 

“PapaAnt is a terrible shot,” Hyacinth quipped, “It’s Eloise you would need to stay clear of.”

 

Lady Danbury gave Hyacinth a pointed look and Gareth left the room, placing the book on the side table as he did so.

 


 

Over the following weeks, Gareth and Hyacinth grew closer. He would appear at Danbury House each Tuesday to receive the translated pages of the journal from Hyacinth.

 

“So, your grandmother seems interesting,” Hyacinth commented one afternoon as Lady Danbury dozed in her chair, “Your Grandmother St.Clair, I mean.”

 

“She does,” Gareth replied, “I didn’t really have the chance to know her but this diary is helping.”

 

“You want to find her diamonds,” Hyacinth stated, boldly, “I’ve heard the rumours about your estate, you want her diamonds so you are not a bankrupt when you inherit.”

 

“And you really are the boldest young lady in town,” Gareth replied, grinning in spite of himself, “But yes, I am interested in finding her diamonds.”

 

“And they are somewhere in St.Clair house,” Hyacinth concluded, “I have narrowed it down to a handful of possibilities, I just need to consult with my old governess to double check some of my translations to help narrow it down further.”

 

“Your old governess,” Gareth repeated, “And when did you last correspond with her? Will she even reply?”

 

“She only left our employ last year,” Hyacinth replied primly, “Charlotte does not have the same talent for languages and so her services were no longer needed. If I write, she will reply. The last I heard she had taken a position in Brighton so the post will not be delayed too much.”

 

Gareth chuckled quietly before quickly looking over at Lady Danbury, “Do you think she is still asleep?” he asked, “Or has she been faking whilst we talk?”

 

“Who knows,” Hyacinth replied, “Why?”

 

“Because, if she is truly asleep then I can get away with doing this,” Gareth replied, before leaning across and kissing Hyacinth deeply.

 

Hyacinth smiled as they broke apart, her hands coming to her lips lightly, “I think she is truly asleep,” she replied with a small giggle, “Should we ...”

 

Gareth grinned before kissing her again, “I’m going to go before she does wake up,” he whispered, “I will see you again next week.”

 


 

Gareth and Hyacinth managed to keep up their game for several more weeks into the season, it helped that most of Hyacinth’s siblings were still at their country estates and that Anthony was only in town under protest and had the habit of ignoring most rumours that found their way to his ears. Only Gregory was around to hear and take notice of any potential rumours but even he seemed oblivious to any of the activities that Gareth and Hyacinth were engaging in. 

 

Hyacinth smothered her giggles as Gareth attempted to sneak out of the drawing room without attracting his grandmother’s attention. The older woman was again dozing in her chair after tea, leaving Hyacinth reading alone when Gareth decided to take advantage of their chaperone’s absence, stealing a few kisses and more. 

 

Gareth slowly closed the drawing room door behind him and turned to find an enraged Simon standing there, “Walk with me,” the Duke spat, grabbing Gareth’s arm and marching him down the corridor. 

 

“Simon,” Gareth smiled, “How are you? Does Grandmother know you are in town?”

 

“Does she know that you are busy compromising debutantes in her drawing room?” Simon replied, “Debutantes whom I consider to be my sister?”

 

“But debutantes who are not in fact your sister,” Gareth countered.

 

“I have known that girl since she was still in leading strings,” Simon replied, “She is as much my sister as you are my brother but make no mistake Gareth, if you are not in fact rendering a proposal I will not hesitate to inform Lord Bridgerton and stand as his second when he calls you out.”

 

Gareth deflated slightly when he looked at Simon’s face. The older man had always been a brother figure to Gareth, even when they were both boys running around the Danbury estate causing mischief and to see the disappointment and anger in Simon’s face was crushing. 

 

“If I thought she would agree I would do so,” he admitted quietly, “She has been helping me translate my Grandmother St.Clair’s diaries, I did not think I would feel this way and I do not know if she feels the same. Or even if she did, if Lord Bridgerton would even accept my suit.”

 

“You are aware that she is Lord Bridgerton’s sister, not his daughter,” Simon stated, pushing a glass of brandy into Gareth’s hand, “And if Anthony thinks you are a fortune hunter simply after her dowry, he will not hesitate to refuse you. I know the realities of your position Gareth, I know that you would find Hyacinth’s dowry quite an attractive prospect.”

 

Gareth flushed, “I know,” he replied, “That she is Lord Bridgerton’s sister, that is. She is helping me translate the diaries as the man I call my father believes me to be illegitimate and I believe that the diary might help to disprove that. If only to prevent him from running the family fortunes into the ground so I do not inherit anything from him.”

 

Simon frowned, “I don’t think you are,” he replied, “You look like a St.Clair; your father is a bastard Gareth. An irredeemable bastard who favoured your brother for some reason but that does not mean that you are the footman’s by-blow.” Simon sighed, “If you are serious about Hyacinth then I might be able to help; I know you have refused a small property but it would help if you are serious about asking for Hyacinth’s hand. Speak to me before you go and speak to Lord Bridgerton; we will figure it out.”

 

Gareth nodded and the two men left the study, making their way back to the drawing room.

 

“Look who I found,” Gareth grinned as they entered the room, “Grandmother, are you well?”

 

“As I ever will be,” Lady Danbury replied, “And just what are you doing here? You do not visit me regularly enough, you know.”

 

Simon rolled his eyes at Hyacinth before bending to kiss his aunt’s cheek, “I am a busy man you know Aunt,” he grinned, “I am in town for Parliamentary business and I thought to beg for a bed to save opening up Hastings House.”

 

“It would be nice to have company for dinner,” Agatha replied, “Let these two young people be on their way.”

 

Simon glared at Gareth as the young man went to offer his arm to Hyacinth, “Hy, I’ll walk you home,” he offered, “I’ll be back for dinner.” he promised Agatha.

 


 

“You need to be more careful,” Simon warned Hyacinth as they walked across Grosvenor Square, “Be glad it was only me who nearly walked into that drawing room.”

 

Hyacinth flushed, “You won’t say anything to PapaAnt will you?” she asked quietly, “I think Mr St.Clair will propose but I need to lay the groundwork with PapaAnt and MamaKate.”

 

Simon nearly laughed, “And have you told Gareth that you would accept his suit if he asked?” he asked, “Or are you both just sneaking into rooms and hoping for the best.”

 

Hyacinth flushed again, “We are working on translating his grandmother’s diaries and trying to find the jewels she had hidden in St.Clair House,” she answered, “I think he will propose when that is all sorted.”

 

Simon stared at Hyacinth in disbelief, “I have already spoken with Gareth,” he said softly, “I know his financial situation may give Anthony pause and I will help you both. But Hyacinth, you need to be careful. Anthony will call him out if anyone else catches you both.”

 

“PapaAnt is a terrible shot,” Hyacinth scoffed.

 

“I think he could steady his aim if your honour was on the line Hyacinth,” Simon replied seriously, “I have told Gareth to be careful and now I am telling you; I will not hold Anthony back if he finds out what is going on.”

 

Hyacinth nodded, “It is nice seeing you Simon,” she smiled, giving him a quick hug and kiss to the cheek as she skipped up the steps of Bridgerton House.

 


 

“You and Gareth looked like you were plotting earlier,” Agatha commented as she and Simon sat with a few glasses of brandy after dinner, “Do I need to be worried about finding frogs in my bed?”

 

“That happened once when we were boys,” Simon replied with an eye-roll, “And we were talking about his plans.”

 

“With Miss Bridgerton?” Agatha continued, “I knew that would be a good match.”

 

“Yes, congratulations, your match-making prowess is undimmed,” Simon drawled, “But, Anthony Bridgerton will not accept Gareth as he stands now. It is well known that St.Clair is running the barony into the ground and Gareth will not be inheriting much; Anthony won’t let him marry Hyacinth if her dowry is going to be the only income supporting them.”

 

Agatha sighed, “So what is your plan?” she asked, “I could give Gareth some money but it would not be an income so it will not erase the main problem.”

 

“I have any number of small estates that I could gift over to Gareth,” Simon replied, “It would provide them with a reasonably sized house, land to support them and it would be no great loss to my estate if it was subsumed into the St.Clair barony when Gareth inherits, but we have been arguing about him accepting it for months. Did you know he believes that he is illegitimate?”

 

“What?” Agatha frowned, “But he looks like a St.Clair? Why on earth would he think that?”

 

“That is the reason St.Clair gave him when he left home,” Simon replied, “St.Clair does not believe that he is Gareth’s natural father and so is running the estate into the ground to prevent what he believes to be a footman’s by-blow from inheriting.”

 

“That man,” Agatha grumbled, “Why I let him marry my Isabella, I do not know.”

 

Simon snorted a laugh, “Isabella was too headstrong to be told no,” he said softly, “She was so happy to marry him, and you got your grandsons from it.”

 

Agatha smiled softly, “When did you start making so much sense?” she asked, patting his hand, “If you carry on, you’ll make me redundant.”

 

Simon squeezed her hand gently, “You’ll never be redundant Aunt,” he smiled, “And apparently this is what happens when one becomes a father, Daphne tells me I am becoming very wise.”

 

Agatha stood, leaning heavily on her cane for support before leaning over and kissing Simon softly on his head, “I always knew you would be a good man,” she said as she started to make her way from the room.

 

Simon stood and took her arm, “Are you sure you are well?” he asked softly, “You are being very maudlin tonight.”

 

“I am as well as anyone could be at my grand old age,” Agatha replied, “Just these old bones are having a little difficulty these days.”

 

“I’ll get the doctor to come see you in the morning,” Simon promised, kissing her cheek as he handed his aunt over to the waiting footman at the door, “No arguments and you will see him.”

 

Agatha nodded as she allowed the footman to escort her up to her bedchamber.

 

Simon sighed as he sat back at the dining table, nursing a glass of brandy. It looked as though his quick trip into town would turn into a longer stay, grumbling to himself about his preference for the country with small children, he requested writing materials from a footman before writing a letter for Daphne, calling her and the children back to town for a season-long stay. 

 


 

“What is this I keep hearing about you and my sister, St.Clair?” Gregory asked as he dropped into the seat opposite Gareth in the smoking room at Whites.

 

“I’m not sure Bridgerton,” Gareth replied, “What have you heard?”

 

“Are you courting her?” Gregory demanded, “Because Anthony believes that you are just an acquaintance. And I know you might be a rake but even you can’t be that bold. So, what is going on between you and my sister?”

 

“I am not courting her,” Gareth began, “Yet. She is helping me translate some diaries I have found. We meet in my Grandmother’s drawing room, with my Grandmother sitting on the other side of the tea tray. If you believe that I can find a way of compromising your sister with Lady Danbury sitting opposite then you are a braver man than I am.”

 

Gregory frowned, “I’m not that stupid,” he replied, “But just know, I am keeping an eye on you St.Clair. If this carries on much longer then I will speak with Anthony; even he can’t ignore every rumour that swirls around here forever.”

 

Gareth nodded before leaving Gregory at the table. Gareth sighed deeply as he exited Whites, he had managed to be threatened by two of Miss Bridgerton’s brothers in one day; he knew that Lord Bridgerton was fiercely protective of his sisters and he wasn’t certain that he was bold enough to sneak around behind the man’s back for much longer. He hoped that Hyacinth’s letter to her governess helped to narrow down the location of these diamonds soon; otherwise he might have to just do something stupid and risk it all in order to win Miss Bridgerton’s hand. 



Notes:

Thank you again to everyone that is still reading this. I’m not going to lie, there was a short period of time where I contemplated stopping this altogether after the reviews I received on the last chapter but I figured that would be letting the trolls win and that didn’t sit right with me either.

Next chapter should be up in a few weeks but work is manic at the moment and I feel like I need a bit of a screen break in the evenings and at weekends so it might take a little longer than usual.

Chapter 28: Chapter Twenty Six - 1822 : Part Three

Notes:

Hello again! Thank you all for your lovely reviews on the last chapter, I promise I do read them all I’m just terrible at actually replying to them 🤦🏻♀️

This chapter is a little more focused on Hyacinth and Gareth and their story. I’ve tried to show how Anthony is really not happy with the idea but comes to realise that everything is being stacked against him as Hyacinth is just a force of nature when she wants something.

The next chapter will round off 1822; hopefully I’ll have it up by mid-March at the latest but I don’t think it should take me that long (famous last words right there!)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“So how are things in London?” Sophie asked as Kate helped herself to tea, “Benedict has finished his commission and we’ll be heading down in a few days.”

 

“Well Hyacinth has a suitor,” Kate replied, “Or at least, she has someone in mind and he doesn’t seem too disagreeable about it all.”

 

Sophie simply raised an eyebrow and smirked, “And what does Anthony think?”

 

“That he is not good enough,” Kate replied, “And, well, I suppose I see his point but you know Hyacinth. It is all going to end in tears.”

 

“But they won’t be Hyacinth’s,” Sophie concluded with a laugh, “Does this suitor know what he is letting himself in for?”

 

Kate laughed, “He is Lady Danbury’s grandson so I think he has some idea,” she replied.

 

“Have you heard anything from Eloise?” Sophie asked, “I tried calling a few days ago but Sir Phillip said she was not accepting visitors. I’m a little worried, with how everything happened.”

 

“That is why I am here,” Kate sighed, “She is pregnant but I’m not sure she is having the best time with it. She isn’t saying much in her letters and Daphne is back in town now so she can chaperone Hyacinth.”

 

“Oh,” Sophie breathed, “She hasn’t said anything in her letters to Ben and I.”

 

“She slipped it into a letter a few weeks ago,” Kate supplied, “But has made little mention of it since. She has never really been interested when we have all had babies, she’s perfectly happy to sit with them when they are here, play with them as they get a bit older but the rest of it; she’s never wanted to engage with the process.”

 

Sophie sighed, “Do you want me to come with you?” she asked.

 

“No,” Kate decided, “If we turn up en masse, Eloise will only be annoyed. I’ve visited everyone else, apart from Fran, at their country houses after they married so it’s not too unusual.”

 

Sophie nodded, “Let me know if you need me though,” she insisted, “I’m still not sure how comfortable I am with the whole situation.”

 

Kate nodded, “What is he like?” she asked, “I only met him at the wedding, at least with Simon and John I had an entire season to make sure they were suitable.”

 

“Well I thought that I knew him,” Sophie replied, “I’ve known him and his late brother for years and he always seemed quiet, reserved even. I still can’t quite believe what you all discovered in Eloise’s correspondence; I just would have never thought it of him.”

 


 

“Kate!” Eloise cheered as the butler showed Kate into the parlour, “What are you doing here? Is everything alright in London?”

 

“Everything is fine,” Kate replied, “I just wanted to visit, to see how you are. I visited everyone else after their weddings, did you really think you would miss out?”

 

Eloise smiled slightly, “The housekeeper has been trying to set up a nursery but ...”

 

“But what?” Kate asked, reaching for Eloise’s hand, “Eloise, is everything alright?”

 

“What happens if I am sick like Pen was?” Eloise whispered, “Or the baby doesn’t live? Or ...”

 

“Oh El,” Kate sighed, “It is usual to feel like this, especially with your first baby. Come on, show me what the housekeeper has done so far and we can make things right.”

 

Eloise and Kate made their way to the nursery, “The housekeeper said a lot of this is from when the twins were small and I think it is all fine but ...”

 

“I’ll arrange for some things from the nursery at Aubrey Hall to be sent,” Kate stated, knowing instinctively what Eloise was trying to say, “I know your quilt is still in storage and there will be toys that were solely yours.”

 

Eloise smiled softly, “Anthony and Ben always said that Mama and Papa made sure we all had our own quilts with embroidery that was just for us and we all had at least one toy that was only ours and not for sharing,” she confirmed, “Did everyone else take their things?”

 

“Daphne did,” Kate replied, “And I think Colin did when Agatha was born.”

 

Eloise nodded before showing Kate back down to the parlour, “Kate,” she began as they sat, “Why are you here on your own? Is Anthony still very angry about everything?”

 

“He isn’t,” Kate assured her, “I just thought you might want to talk about things, the baby, without Anthony here. There’s some things that he just doesn’t understand and after you told us about the baby you stopped talking about it in your letters. I was worried.”

 

Eloise smiled gratefully, “It’s been a lot,” she admitted, “I’m still so scared about it all and Phillip doesn’t understand but I didn’t want to write anything about what I was thinking because maybe if I wrote it, it would come true.”

 

“Oh El,” Kate sighed, reaching across to wrap Eloise in a hug, “You are young, you are strong and well. All will be fine,” she soothed, “And, I can be here if you want me to. And Sophie is so close.”

 

“I know,” Eloise replied, “Do you think Pen would come, if I asked?”

 

“Of course she would, if she is well enough,” Kate replied, “Now, come, show me these gardens you describe so beautifully.”

 


 

“The diamonds are definitely in St.Clair house,” Hyacinth stated as she and Gareth sat at the small tea table in the parlour at Danbury House, “I have narrowed it down to two possible places, I’m just not certain if my translations will hold up.”

 

“What two places?” Gareth asked, sneaking a look at his grandmother who was still dozing in her chair, “He will be out in a few days, I might go in and take a look.”

 

“Either a wardrobe in Lady St.Clair’s rooms,” Hyacinth replied, “Or a cupboard in the Lady’s study. The translation is interchangeable that I cannot be certain which one she means, wardrobe or cupboard, or which room.”

 

Gareth nodded, “The two rooms are next to each other,” he mused, “I should be able to look at them both in one evening.”

 

“There will be a false panel in which ever one they are in,” Hyacinth continued, “They will be hidden there. What will you do with them, if you find them?”

 

Gareth reached out for Hyacinth’s hand and held it loosely, “First of all, I will use one to fashion a ring for you,” he promised, “And then probably sell the rest for the income. I will need to show something in my balance books to impress Lord Bridgerton.”

 

Hyacinth scoffed, “You leave PapaAnt to me,” she replied, “I know how to get around him. And Simon will help, he promised me.”

 

“And me,” Gareth laughed, “After he finished threatening me. But Hyacinth, if I do find the diamonds and I came to see Lord Bridgerton, would you accept?”

 

“Maybe,” Hyacinth grinned, “I suppose I could put up with you.”

 

“Such high praise,” Gareth replied, with an eye-roll.

 


 

Hyacinth and Gareth left Danbury House an hour later, after being ushered out by Lady Danbury. Gareth glanced around before pulling Hyacinth around the corner of the house into a secluded part of the garden.

 

“Gareth,” Hyacinth gasped, “What if someone sees?”

 

“Don’t care,” Gareth grinned, kissing her deeply, “I’ll be getting those diamonds later and then we can do this all we want.”

 

Hyacinth grinned back, returning his kiss with enthusiasm. Unbeknownst to the pair, the garden was not as secluded as they believed and one particularly gossipy member of the Ton spied the young couple unchaperoned in the garden and rushed away to the club to share what they had just seen.

 


 

A few weeks later, Anthony was sitting in his usual spot in the club, frowning from behind his paper as the general gossip of the club continued around him, he made a point of pretending not to listen to half of the whispers that reached him but people must really be foolish if they believed that he really did not hear all that was being said by his peers. 

 

“What have you heard about Hyacinth and St.Clair?” Anthony asked, as Colin dropped into the seat opposite him.

 

“She told Penelope that she met him at Lady Danbury’s,” Colin replied, helping himself to a glass of brandy, “And that they were translating some correspondence from Italian. Why?”

 

Anthony shook his head, “I keep hearing things,” he replied, “But no one is coming out and saying anything to my face.”

 

Colin snorted back a laugh, “Are you surprised?” he grinned, “Greg would be the best bet if you really want to know. Are you two even speaking?”

 

Anthony sighed, “We have reached a ceasefire,” he replied dryly, “I ignore the fact that he spends all his time in the gambling room here and he ignores my attempts to try and give him some direction.”

 

Colin laughed, “And I can see that it is working wonderfully,” he replied, “Given you are here, frowning at the paper and glaring over to the corner when you think Greg can’t see you. Leave him alone, Anth, he’ll settle himself eventually.”

 

Anthony huffed, “You were settled,” he pointed out.

 

“Not at Greg’s age,” Colin replied, “I was three and twenty when Pen and I married, and that was after I had been on my tour. Greg only finished his studies this year, give him time to figure out what he wants. When his friends start thinking seriously about their positions he will do the same.”

 

“Evening,” Ben greeted as he joined the table, “Are we all here?”

 

“Well, Greg is over there,” Colin stated, “But yes, why?”

 

Benedict caught Gregory’s attention and waved the youngest Bridgerton brother across to their table, “Because we all need to talk about these rumours circulating about St.Clair.”

 

“So, I’m not hearing things then,” Anthony sighed, “Do I need to go to Kent and get my pistols?”

 

Colin’s eyes grew wide, “What have I missed?” he breathed, “She met him at Lady Danbury’s, there’s no way that old battle-axe has let anything untoward happen.”

 

“He’s not marrying her,” Anthony stated, “Hyacinth’s dowry is not being used to prop up that profligate rake.”

 

“But what happens if they have to,” Benedict pointed out, “If Colin and I have heard things then you know everyone else will have done too.”

 

“What exactly have you heard?” Anthony asked, with a heavy sigh, “She has been very secretive this season; she seems to spend more time at Danbury House than she does anywhere else.”

 

Colin and Gregory shared a heavy look, “And isn’t that where she has met St.Clair?” Colin questioned

 

“I spoke with him earlier in the season,” Greg stated, “Told him that he had to come and speak to you, PapaAnt, make himself known. He laughed it off, said that even he wasn’t bold enough to seduce a debutante under Lady Danbury’s nose.”

 

“Well clearly he is if these rumours are anything to go by,” Colin hissed, “Have you spoken with her Anth?”

 

“She’s not saying anything to me,” Anthony scoffed, “She’s insisted that nothing is going on and I am being too fussy.”

 

The four brothers all looked at each other in concern as they all considered the rumours that they had been hearing about their youngest sister.

 


 

As her brothers were trying to get to the bottom of the rumours circulating London, Hyacinth was relaxing on her bed translating some more of the St.Clair diaries when her window opened. She had given Gareth some options for the location of the diamonds but there were parts of the diary that she was still working on in case her earlier guess was not correct.

 

“Gareth!” she gasped, “What are you ...”

 

Gareth crossed the room, “I did it,” he breathed, kissing her deeply, “Last night, I broke into his house and I found them.”

 

Hyacinth grinned, kissing Gareth back, “Did you get them?” she asked, pulling back from Gareth slightly to settle herself against her pillows.

 

“I did,” he grinned, “Hyacinth, if I came to speak with Lord Bridgerton tomorrow ...”

 

“Give me a few days,” Hyacinth replied, “MamaKate is still in the country, she will need to be here to calm him down.”

 

“But if I asked?” Gareth pressed, sitting on the edge of her bed reaching up to kiss her again, “If I came and asked, would you agree?”

 

“I would,” Hyacinth breathed, “Now, are you going to show me what you were talking about the other day?”

 

Gareth groaned softly, before kicking off his boots and crawling up the bed to cover her body with his.

 


 

“How was Eloise?” Anthony asked as Kate returned from her visit to the country, “Are you feeling better about her situation now you have been?”

 

Kate smiled and slipped onto Anthony’s lap as he held out his arm, “I do,” she replied, “And she is fine, a little worried about things but I think we managed to sort everything out. Remind me to send down to Aubrey Hall, she wants her things from the nursery.”

 

Anthony nodded, “I’ll send someone down later this week,” he promised, “Eloise with a baby,” he wondered, “I didn’t ever think we would see that.”

 

“I know,” Kate laughed, leaning her head on Anthony’s shoulder, “She seemed so settled. Maybe we could go and see them in the off-season; I told her I would be with her when her time comes.”

 

“Of course we can,” Anthony replied, “Just wait until you hear what Hyacinth has been getting up to.”

 

“Let me guess,” Kate sighed, “Gareth St.Clair?”

 

“Some of the rumours I’ve heard,” Anthony shook his head, “Benedict has had to restrain me a few times from going to Aubrey Hall for the pistols.”

 

“Let me talk to her,” Kate stated, “You know how rumour can grow, maybe it is all innocent.”

 

Anthony huffed, “And you know you are a terrible shot,” Kate teased, “And Eloise is in no condition to come back to town to duel St.Clair for you.”

 

Anthony snorted a laugh before kissing Kate softly, “What have I done without you these last few weeks,” he murmured, “Next season we are staying in Kent; I’m done with all of this now.”

 


 

“How have you been?” Kate asked as she and Hyacinth sat down for tea, “Did Daphne accompany you to all the balls you wished to attend?”

 

“She did,” Hyacinth replied, “And the opera one evening and I have been spending a lot of time with Lady Danbury.”

 

“So I hear,” Kate frowned, “And not just with Lady Danbury.”

 

Hyacinth huffed in irritation, “He means to propose you know,” she stated, “He has found a source of income and is setting his books in order and will be coming to speak with PapaAnt in a few days.”

 

“Anthony is very against the idea you know,” Kate cautioned, “What is this source of income? Will it hold until Mr St.Clair comes into his inheritance?”

 

“I know what it is,” Hyacinth replied, “And it will all be fine, Simon knows what is going on and he has said that he will help. MamaKate, I need you to help me persuade PapaAnt on this.”

 

Kate sighed, “Are you completely set on him?” she asked, “I’m sure we could find someone more ...”

 

“I am,” Hyacinth stated firmly, “And what could we look for? Someone with a bigger property? More income? I like Gareth, we get along well and I can see us being very happy.”

 

“He is a rake,” Kate warned, “And we have all heard the rumours about the state of the estate he will be inheriting. Anthony will not be changing his mind on this one.”

 

Hyacinth frowned and after a short pause muttered, “He might have no choice.”

 

“What have you done?” Kate gasped, “Tell me you haven’t?”

 

“I just mean that people will have seen him escorting me to the carriage when I have been reading to Lady Danbury,” Hyacinth lied, “You know how people talk.”

 

“And I’m sure you have not done anything at all to encourage these rumours,” Kate rolled her eyes, “If he is serious, he needs to pay a call; none of this sneaking around at Lady Danbury’s. He comes here, he takes tea with me in this room and he equips himself like a true gentleman. Then I will talk to Anthony, not before.” Hyacinth nodded, “And Hyacinth, if I find out you have ruined yourself, I will not stop Anthony from acting as he sees fit. Understand?”

 


 

“Anthony!” Daphne smiled as Anthony entered the parlour at Hastings House, “What are you doing here? Is everyone alright?”

 

“Everyone is fine,” Anthony assured her, “I just need to speak with Simon, is he in?”

 

Daphne led Anthony along the corridors of Hastings House to Simon’s study, “Should I leave you both?” she asked, “Or have you just come to gossip?”

 

“You can stay,” Anthony stated, “You might be able to help anyway.”

 

Simon offered Anthony a glass of brandy and waved him into a chair, “What is the matter?” he asked, “And don’t say there isn’t anything going on, you look far too agitated for that to be correct.”

 

Daphne nodded as Anthony rolled his eyes at Simon, “Hyacinth and Gareth St.Clair,” he stated, “You must have heard the rumours.”

 

“Ah,” Simon breathed, “He won’t be as bad a prospect as you think, you know.”

 

“So St.Clair has suddenly had a change in fortunes has he?” Anthony shot back, “Has someone died and I haven’t noticed?”

 

Daphne rolled her eyes, “I’ve seen him and Hyacinth together,” she commented, “They make a lovely couple, he is clearly besotted with her.”

 

“And I’m sure that will keep them warm as St.Clair House collapses around their ears,” Anthony replied.

 

Simon rolled his eyes, “I understand why you don’t think he is good enough,” he started, “I have my own reservations and Gareth is my family but you know as well as I do, there is no changing Hyacinth’s mind when she has it set on something.”

 

“I know,” Anthony sighed deeply, “I just worry she will end up regretting it; that he won’t be able to care for her properly.”

 

Simon nodded and Anthony continued, “And you must have heard the same rumours as me, I think things might be too far gone for me to say no to him.”

 

“Hyacinth isn’t that stupid,” Daphne scoffed, “He’s been nothing but respectful when I’ve seen them together. You’re fussing because it’s Hyacinth.”

 

Anthony frowned slightly but acknowledged Daphne’s correct statement, he had been putting up more of a fuss with Hyacinth and her prospective match than he had done for Daphne and even Francesca, after he had gotten over the idea of her moving to Scotland, but Hyacinth was different. 

 

“Kate is back from visiting Eloise now isn’t she?” Daphne continued, “I’m sure she will take everything in hand; even Gareth can’t fool both Kate and Lady Danbury.”

 

“And Aunt Agatha is very set on the match,” Simon added, “And you’re a braver man than me, Bridgerton, if you want to take her on over this.”

 

Anthony laughed, “I suppose I should get used to the idea,” he conceded, “At least if Hyacinth does get married this season it means I can hide in Kent next year and have a break.”

 

“There’s still Greg,” Daphne grinned, “Would you leave him running around town alone next season?”

 

“You say that like he listens to anything I say at the moment,” Anthony grumbled, “Maybe a season here alone will help focus his mind a little more.”

 

Simon laughed at that and poured Anthony another brandy before guiding the siblings out of his office towards the parlour as they all gossiped about their various family members. 



Notes:

So, there we have it. Anthony is coming to the realisation that he is going to have to accept Gareth as a suitor for Hyacinth. Gareth has found the diamonds, I’ve decided that a large part of Gareth turning around his fortunes is based on him finding and selling the diamonds as he courts Hyacinth and this is why Anthony finally will decide he is good enough for Hyacinth.

Also, I hope you all like how I’ve worked in Eloise here. She’s not had the best experience with her mother and sisters being pregnant around her and she is terrified. So, in typical Eloise fashion, she had decided not to say anything about it beyond the initial announcement. Kate helps her calm down slightly and we will meet her baby next chapter.

Chapter 29: Chapter Twenty Seven - 1822 : Part Four

Notes:

Hello everyone! I’ve managed to get this one up quicker than I thought I would. It’s very heavily focused on Gareth & Hyacinth and the reactions of the Bridgerton brothers to their antics.

In Gregory’s book it is obvious that Hyacinth really holds a grudge against Lucy for how the whole calling the wedding off / toying with Gregory’s feelings happened and I just really wanted to play on that idea in this chapter. They are such a little unit together, so much younger than the rest of the siblings that I imagine them both being very close and Gregory does not like what is going on with his sister and Gareth.

This is the end of 1822, I’ll be back at some point before Easter with the start of 1823

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Penelope sat in the newly sprung carriage, embroidering patterns onto a baby’s shift as it trundled along the roads between Surrey and Gloucestershire. Kate was meeting her at Romney Hall and they would stay with Eloise until her baby was delivered. 

 

Penelope had been trying to embroider two shifts, one for Eloise’s new baby and one for her sister Phillipa’s new baby who was due towards the end of the season. It had taken her a little longer than she would have liked to recover from having Thomas earlier in the season and had spent a lot of time in the country with Colin and their babies enjoying the slower pace of life away from the city and the season. 

 

“How was the journey?” Kate asked as she and Penelope as they sat in a small parlour at Romney Hall taking tea, “You do look brighter than you did earlier in the season.”

 

“It was fine,” Penelope replied, “Colin had the carriage re-sprung so it was very smooth. Spending the season in the country has helped, especially with how busy the season can be.”

 

“And this season has seemed especially busy,” Kate muttered.

 

“How are things between Anthony and Gregory now?” Penelope asked with a grin, “I know Colin has written to Greg a few times to try and help but I’m not sure if it has helped.”

 

Kate sighed, “They have reached an impasse,” she admitted, “I think Colin has spoken with Anthony as well, to try and smooth things over. It is difficult, Greg doesn’t seem to know what he wants to do and Anthony well ... when Anthony was Gregory’s age he was the head of the family and looking after them all.”

 

“But Colin was travelling at Gregory’s age,” Penelope pointed out, “And Benedict was ... well ... I think we all heard the rumours of Benedict’s time at the Royal Academy. Why should Gregory be different?”

 

“And that is the problem,” Kate laughed, “He shouldn’t be and he isn’t but he just doesn’t seem to have any direction, Colin had always wanted to do his tour and then he came back and you two married. Gregory just seems a little lost; he’s too much like Anthony to admit that though and so they keep clashing. I’m quite looking forward to the peace whilst we’re here.”

 

Penelope laughed and the two women stood, leaving the parlour to find Eloise.

 


 

“I could be back from Aubrey Hall in five hours PapaAnt,” Gregory stated seriously as the two Bridgerton men watched Hyacinth greet Gareth St.Clair as she reached Danbury House, “You know I could get there and back quicker than you, the servants wouldn’t need me for anything, I could be in and back out with the pistols without anyone realising I was even there. Why are they at Aubrey Hall anyway? Wouldn’t it make more sense to have them here?”

 

“Kate made me leave them at Aubrey Hall after Daphne and Simon were married,” Anthony replied with a grin, “Let’s just say they didn’t exactly wait for their engagement to be announced before they started sneaking off into gardens unchaperoned.”

 

“So Hyacinth is just taking after Daphne then?” Gregory grinned, “And she likes to be so original.”

 

“No,” Anthony stated firmly, “At least we knew Simon before they started that. And it only happened once ... not all season long and not behind all of our backs.”

 

“So did you really nearly duel Simon?” Gregory asked incredulously, “I thought you two had been friends since Eton.” 

 

“We have,” Anthony replied. “And he is my oldest friend which is why I didn’t end up duelling with him. But for one evening, I did seriously consider it. And, given that Eloise, Frannie and Edwina all came out the two years following Daphne’s wedding, Kate made me leave the pistols in Kent.”

 

“Because you wouldn’t have thought about it with any of their suitors,” Gregory laughed, “So why have you held off calling out St.Clair?”

 

Anthony sighed deeply, “Because as far as we can prove, she has been speaking with him at Lady Danbury’s, under the watch of Lady Danbury and the very few occasions he has been seen with her in a ballroom he has been nothing but polite and they have never left the dancefloor. I’m not stupid enough to effectively call out Lady Danbury as a useless chaperone without proof.”

 

Gregory nodded, “But the rumours ...” he protested, “What has Hyacinth said?”

 

“Nothing,” Anthony grumbled, “And you know she won’t unless one of us sees something.”

 

“I’ll see what I can find out,” Gregory promised, before turning to leave Anthony’s study. He paused in the doorway, “PapaAnt,” he hesitated, “I’ve been thinking, maybe I should find some bachelor lodgings for next season.”

 

Anthony frowned and tugged Gregory back into the study, wrapping an arm around his shoulders, “I’m never going to throw you out Greg, no matter how much we argue about things” he muttered, “What’s going on?”

 

“Well,” Gregory sighed, “I’ve been thinking this season, I’m still not sure what I want to do. I don’t have the brains to be a surgeon or lawyer or anything like that and politics bores me and we both know I’m not cut out to be a soldier. I just ... I think I need to manage on my own for a little while, to think about things properly and well, Ben took on My Cottage to do that and I know I have that other estate but I’m not ready for that yet.”

 

“But a set of rooms just on the other side of the square would do you just fine,” Anthony replied with a wry smile, “I’m sure we can find you something Greg. Next season though, I’m not sure I can let you and Hy go at the same time you know.”

 

“I don’t understand why everyone finds you so terrifying,” Greg laughed, “You’re nothing but a big softy! I’m off to the club, I’ll see what I can dig up!”

 

Anthony rolled his eyes and threw a bunch of parchment at a laughing Gregory as he dodged his way out of the study.

 


 

“Pen!” Eloise cheered as her oldest and best friend entered her bedchamber, “You look so well! How are you? How are the children?”

 

Penelope grinned and slipped onto a chair next to Eloise’s bed, “They are all fine,” she replied, “Georgie and Agatha are giving Greg and Hyacinth a run for their money in being the most destructive children imaginable and Thomas is such a darling.”

 

“And you are well?” Eloise pressed, “Promise me?”

 

“I am,” Penelope replied, “I was a little tired after Thomas’ birth but I am well now.”

 

“Pen,” Eloise said softly, “I need you to promise me something, can you?”

 

“Of course,” Penelope replied easily, “What do you need?”

 

Eloise took a deep breath and reached out for Penelope’s hand, “If something happens to me,” she said softly, “If I am unwell, like you were after Agatha, then I want you to promise me that you will help Philip look after the twins, and this one, if it lives. Pen, do you promise?”

 

“Oh El,” Penelope sighed, reaching over and hugging her friend, “Of course I promise. But I was unlucky, you will be fine and this little one will be fine too.”

 

“You can’t promise that,” Eloise cautioned, “I know you cannot but you can promise to look after my children.”

 

“And I do,” Penelope replied seriously, “I promise you.”

 


 

“We need to talk,” Gregory announced as he stood next to Gareth’s chair in Whites, “About what you definitely have been doing with my sister.”

 

“I have no idea what you are talking about Bridgerton,” Gareth replied with an eye-roll, turning back to his drink.

 

“Yes you do,” Gregory replied, “I’ve been hearing all sorts of rumours, about you and my sister sneaking around in quiet corners of the Danbury House gardens when you think no one is watching; about your father and the state of your so-called inheritance and about how our night hall-boy saw someone who looks remarkably like you rushing away from Bridgerton House one evening when everyone else was out. Now, unless you want me to tell all of this to Lord Bridgerton, you will start talking. Or I will happily hold his jacket as he puts you in the ground for daring to even look at Hyacinth.”

 

Gareth sighed, “Not here,” he replied, “Meet me at my lodgings, Cadogan Lane in twenty minutes. I’ll explain it all then.”

 

Twenty minutes later, a furious looking Gregory was pacing the street in front of the lodgings Gareth had taken in Cadogan Lane waiting for the other man to arrive. 

 

“I want a full explanation,” Gregory snarled as Gareth invited him into the three rooms that made up his bachelor apartment, “And your word that you will marry her, as soon as possible. My sister is not going to be caught out with a child, especially not your child.”

 

Gareth handed Gregory a glass of brandy and started to explain about his quest to find his grandmother St.Clair’s diamonds, how that had led him to become closer with Hyacinth and how he was waiting for her say-so to arrive at Bridgerton House and present his suit to Lord Bridgerton.

 

Gregory looked at the other man as he explained the situation before standing up from the chair he was lounging in and pinning Gareth against the wall, “It will take me five hours at most to get our pistols,” he spat, “If Simon has his in town, I’ll be even quicker. You have five hours at most to get yourself over to Bridgerton House and beg for an audience. You took liberties with my sister, if you are not proposing to her then they will not find your body. Do you understand me?”

 

Gareth wisely nodded and stayed silent as Gregory left his lodgings before he swore under his breath, he had known that he was treading a dangerous line with Hyacinth but he had expected the outright threat to come from Lord Bridgerton, not Gregory who the Ton at large regarded as the easy going, affable youngest Bridgerton brother.

 


 

“We need to talk,” Gregory stated as he walked into the parlour of Bridgerton House and found Hyacinth curled on one of the chairs, reading her novel, “Now.”

 

Hyacinth looked at him over the top of her book and rolled her eyes, “Stop being so dramatic Gregory,” she scoffed, “You sound like PapaAnt in one of his tempers.”

 

“You do not want PapaAnt to hear what I have to say,” Gregory replied, “I’ve just had the most illuminating conversation with Gareth St.Clair.”

 

Hyacinth flushed, and made a point of looking anywhere other than at her brother, “Well, I’ve always thought you men gossiped as much women do,” she stated, “Is this supposed to shock me into some sort of confession?”

 

“It should do,” Gregory hissed, “He was seen you know, one of the night hall-boys saw him running away from the house when you were the only person here. I suppose we’re lucky that PapaAnt pays the staff enough to keep our secrets otherwise the entire Ton would know what you have been up to.”

 

“It was only once,” Hyacinth retorted, “And I think he is going to propose so it will all be well.”

 

“I know he is,” Gregory spat, “I’m going to go and speak with PapaAnt, to keep him calm. How are you this stupid?!”

 

“I am not!” Hyacinth shouted back, “And I had this under control!” 

 

“You did not!” Gregory shot back, “Everyone has been whispering about this, this is by far the most idiotic thing you have ever done Hyacinth, and I thought climbing out of the nursery window at Aubrey Hall was the limit of your stupidity.”

 

“You swore you would never tell!” Hyacinth gasped, “Why are you always like this!” 

 

“I haven’t ever told!” Gregory replied, “And I am trying to protect you! You’ve been running around all season with a rake like St.Clair and you seriously thought that we would do nothing about it!”

 

“What are you two screaming about?!” Anthony demanded from the door of the parlour, “You both sound like you still belong in the nursery.”

 

“We need to talk,” Gregory stated, heading towards Anthony’s study, “Hyacinth is going to think about things here, aren’t you?”

 

Hyacinth rolled her eyes again and flopped back into her chair, using her book to shield her face from her two brothers.

 


 

“I take it you have heard something else?” Anthony stated as Gregory paced his study.

 

“I’ve given him five hours to get here and seek your blessing,” Gregory replied, “And you need to give it otherwise she might be in real trouble.”

 

“Are you saying they ...” Anthony asked, sinking into his chair. 

 

Greg nodded, “He admitted it to me earlier and she all but did so, that’s what we were arguing about in the parlour.”

 

Anthony shook his head, “I always knew she would be the most trouble,” he muttered, “Why five hours?”

 

“I told you, I could be to Kent and back in that time,” Gregory stated, with a grin, “He did also tell me that he has found a source of funds to prop up the St.Clair estate and it should be in a better position when he inherits so I don’t think he is as bad a prospect as you originally thought.”

 

Anthony nodded, “Go and get Ben will you?” he asked, “And Colin, I think we need to show St.Clair exactly what he is getting into.”

 

Greg grinned and took off to inform his other brothers of the situation.

 


 

Gareth braced himself as he entered Bridgerton House, if Gregory Bridgerton had been spoiling for a fight earlier it would be nothing compared to how Lord Bridgerton may react. The butler showed Gareth through to Lord Bridgerton’s study where he came face-to-face with all four Bridgerton men. 

 

“St.Clair,” Benedict Bridgerton nodded, as the three youngest brothers left the room all glowering at the younger man as they did so.

 

“I’m not even going to ask why you are here,” Anthony stated, as Gareth took a seat, “How soon do we need to arrange for the special licence?”

 

Gareth flushed and swallowed nervously, “Two weeks would be fine,” he replied, before straightening his posture and looking Anthony in the eye, “I know this is not what you wanted for Miss Hyacinth but I do have the means to keep her.”

 

“And how much of that has come from my brother-in-law?” Anthony scoffed, “The rumours of your conduct are not the only things I have heard talk of this season. Everyone knows your barony will be bankrupt by the time you inherit; I do not appreciate the fact that you have pre-empted my decision in this matter St.Clair.”

 

Gareth flushed again, he would have preferred Lord Bridgerton punching him or calling him out than the calm disappointment that the older man was currently emanating. Gareth had always known that the Bridgertons would not see him as an attractive prospect and part of his reasons in being so blatant in his pursuit of Hyacinth was to ensure that he would not be rebuffed but with Hyacinth’s own nature it had spiralled slightly out of control. 

 

“I will ensure that Miss Hyacinth is well cared for and well looked after,” Gareth stated softly, “I care very deeply for her Lord Bridgerton.”

 

“Which is all well and good but we both know whatever you say has no bearing on my answer,” Anthony replied, “I have no choice but to accept your suit. Hyacinth is in the parlour, Benedict will chaperone whilst you ask your question.”

 


 

“He didn’t kill you then,” Hyacinth smiled as she and Gareth stood in the corner of the parlour, Benedict glaring daggers at the couple from his position on the chaise, “What did he say?”

 

“He is not happy,” Gareth replied, “But he agreed, we can be married in two weeks.”

 

Hyacinth grinned and kissed Gareth softly, “Hyacinth!” Benedict snapped, “That’s enough.”

 

Hyacinth scoffed and rolled her eyes as Gareth smothered his laugh, “I should leave,” he whispered, “Two weeks, Hyacinth. Perhaps one of the Mrs Bridgertons can come with us to view a house when I have secured one.”

 

“Sophie,” Hyacinth nodded, “Penelope is with Eloise. Send word when you have secured a property and I will talk with them all.”

 


 

“Eloise! She is perfect!” Penelope grinned as she handed Eloise her newly delivered baby, “You’ve done so well.”

 

“How have you done this three times!” Eloise groaned, “I’m exhausted, but she is so pretty.”

 

“Do you have a name?” Kate asked, “I’ll just go and inform Sir Phillip.”

 

“I was thinking Penelope,” Eloise stated, looking at her best friend, “What do you think?”

 

“Really?” Penelope whispered, her eyes watering, “I would be honoured.”

 

The two friends grinned at each other tearfully as they admired the newest member of the family before Penelope stepped away to allow Sir Phillip to come and sit with his small family.

 

Notes:

I hope you like how this chapter ended up. I wanted to show a bit of a resolution to the conflicts between Anthony and Gregory with Anthony seeing that Gregory is starting to mature a little. I’ve not bothered adding a scene between the four brothers when they talk about Gareth & Hyacinth as it would have been a little repetitive with the I tother scenes I already had written, but imagine them all having a few drinks and talking each other into and out of grabbing some pistols and hunting down Gareth!

Also, Eloise is a mother! I really wanted some cute moments between her and Pen given that Pen’s experience is the reason Eloise is so frightened of having children, I hope it works!

I think I might have said that Michael Stirling was coming back in this chapter but I got my timings wrong, he’ll be back towards the end of 1823 and then it will work out.

Chapter 30: Chapter Twenty Eight - 1823

Notes:

Hello! I’ve not disappeared and I’m so sorry this chapter is weeks later than promised. I’ve had a few things going on in real life and I’ve not been in the right frame of mind to write this chapter.

Given that, this is a shorter chapter to set things up for 1824 and the two pairings for that year. This is another one where things are all over the place and we’re not visiting everyone but I’ve got it so we know what everyone is doing for this year.

I have no idea when I’m going to get 1824 ready, things have calmed down a bit in my real life but it has been a bit of an upheaval these last few weeks and I’m not sure how that will impact my writing process.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

In a large open room in the middle of the city of Delhi, a man groaned as he pushed himself upright against his pillows. Michael Stirling swiped his hand over his face as he woke, realising that his latest malaria attack had finally passed. The doctor he had spoken with a few months previously had indicated that the only way to get his attacks under control would be to leave the tropical Indian climate and return home. 

 

Michael sank back into his bed, reaching for the stack of letters that had arrived over the last few days. As usual, there was a report from Lord Bridgerton and a long letter from Francesca along with other letters from friends and acquaintances seeking business opportunities. 

 

Michael read Francesca’s letter about the last winter at Kilmartin and her plans to travel south to spend the season with her brother at Aubrey Hall as the family were not looking to participate in the entire season that year. He read on to discover that her youngest sister had now married and she had a new niece and nephew with another one due, probably around the time Michael was reading his letter. 

 

Between his own health challenges and Francesca’s detailed letters, the idea of returning home was starting to become more and more appealing to Michael. The three years he had spent in India had lessened the feelings of grief and guilt that he had associated with Francesca in the immediate aftermath of John’s death and Michael knew now that he would be able to co-exist with Francesca in Kilmartin and London without causing either of them any embarrassment. Michael sighed as he called for his valet, it was time to start making plans to return home. 

 


 

“If this one is a girl,” Benedict said softly to Anthony as they sat in Anthony’s office, “I want to name her after Mama. Would you mind?”

 

Anthony shook his head, “I’m not the one to ask,” he replied, “You know why I wouldn’t use her name. Eloise would be the one to ask, Colin won’t want to think of having anymore and Daphne seems to be taking the alphabetical approach.”

 

“Eloise said to ask you,” Benedict replied with a small grin, “She thinks that you might have been saving it. If we ever needed proof that you protected the youngers from finding out what was going on in those few years, that is it.”

 

Anthony rolled his eyes, “I’m fine with you using the name,” he stated, “I can’t see anyone else wanting to.”

 

“But would you ...”

 

“Ben,” Anthony interjected firmly, “I am fine with you using her name and I will be fine with a niece having the name. I know that any daughter of yours will not be like she was.”

 

“I know we agreed to not tell the youngers about what happened,” Benedict stated cautiously, “But do you think you might need to ...”

 

“No,” Anthony said sharply, “They barely remember her as it is, I’m not going to ruin what memories they have left. Let them think that I decided to let you use the name, I took Papa’s name for Edmund so it fits.”

 

Benedict shook his head but chose not to argue with his brother, “You know my thoughts, I’m not going to argue about it with you again,” he sighed, “We’re never going to agree on this. Have you heard from Greg?”

 

“He will be joining us for Christmas,” Anthony replied, “He seems to be enjoying his bachelor lodgings and has started up something with Colin regarding some investments in the new technologies coming out of the factories in the North. I’m not sure what exactly they have both found but they both seem to be making enough return.”

 

“I do not have the head for that,” Benedict laughed, “I’ll keep finishing my commissions and leave it at that.”

 


 

Francesca felt herself relax as a footman handed her down from her carriage as it stopped at Aubrey Hall, Anthony stood in the entrance with a broad grin on his face. 

 

“How was the journey?” he asked as she reached him, “I hope you managed to beat the worst of the weather.”

 

“I did,” Francesca smiled, “I ordered a new carriage over winter and collected it on my way through Edinburgh, it is a lot easier travelling in that one than the old one. I stopped in with Eloise too for a few days on my way down, I have finally met Sir Phillip and darling baby Penelope.”

 

“And let us hope that baby Penelope takes after her namesake as opposed to her mother,” Anthony chuckled, “How is El?”

 

“She was fine,” Francesca replied, “I think motherhood suits her, she seems very grounded.”

 

Anthony hummed thoughtfully, “And are you staying here until the season starts?” he asked, “Or are you disappearing back to Scotland?”

 

“I had thought to take part in the season this year,” Francesca replied, “I’m just not sure whether to do it from Bridgerton House or Kilmartin House.”

 

“Well, Kate and I will be taking part this year,” Anthony replied, “She has it in her head that we need to get Gregory settled.”

 

Francesca laughed, “Well you might not like to hear what I have been thinking,” she mused.

 

Anthony frowned, “I am thinking of re-marrying,” Francesca continued, “I would like children and I know I will always love John but ...”

 

Anthony sighed and tugged Francesca into his side, “If that is what you truly want Frannie, then we will help you. And of course you can do the season from Bridgerton House.”

 


 

In the centre of London, Gregory stood in the middle of his bachelor lodgings making sure that he had not left any papers behind. He was looking forward to returning to Aubrey Hall and showing Anthony the fruits of his success in the businesses he had been investing in, the profits he had made meant that his bachelor lodgings were a little more appointed than some of his peers’ lodgings as most young men seemed to take rooms as somewhere to sleep without taking into account a living space. 

 

He still spent most of his time at the club and ate most of his meals there but he was starting to feel like a true adult and like someone Anthony would start to take seriously. 

 

A few hours later Greg jumped down from his horse and was greeted at the door of Aubrey Hall by Miles and Mary who had been chasing each other through the hallway.

 

“Greggy!” They cheered as they jumped to hug him, before chattering over each other to tell him stories of all he had missed in the few weeks the family had all been back in Kent. 

 

“I thought I heard something,” Kate grinned from the parlour door, “How was the journey? I didn’t hear a carriage.”

 

“I rode over,” Gregory replied, “My man is coming with my trunk in a few hours,” he walked over to Kate and kissed her cheek, “Hello MamaKate,” he grinned, “I hear I have missed all the fun these last few weeks.”

 


 

“Colin has written,” Anthony stated as he and Kate relaxed in their sitting room that evening, “He and Penelope are staying at Farnley for Christmas this year. It looks like it will just be us, Fran and Greg this year.”

 

“Did you speak with Greg?” Kate asked, “The children were so excited to see him.”

 

“He wants to speak tomorrow,” Anthony replied, “He seems to have brought his entire portfolio to show me.”

 

“He’s excited,” Kate chided, “I spoke with Frannie earlier. She told me her plan for next season.”

 

Anthony sighed, “It’s her decision,” he replied, “I suppose it will be a little different than when she was a debutante, but there’s still plenty of men who will just want to get their hands on her money. I’ll have to send a letter to Stirling, let him know what is going on.”

 

“Not tonight though,” Kate replied, “There’s nothing we can do tonight or for another few weeks. Frannie knows her own mind, and she has always wanted children.”

 

“I know,” Anthony sighed, “I just ...”

 

“Worry,” Kate finished with a grin, “I know, you wouldn’t be you if you didn’t worry about them all.”

 

Anthony smiled at Kate before kissing her soundly and rolled over to lean over her.

 


 

Gregory grinned as he presented his books to Anthony the following morning, “And, if the new combustion engine performs as everyone seems to think, then these figures will double at least,” he continued, “What do you think?”

 

“Greg,” Anthony grinned, “This is good, even if the figures stay the same this is a very healthy return. How are your lodgings? Do you not want to look at a small townhouse instead?”

 

“I think my lodgings are perfectly fine for now,” Greg replied, “Something like what Ben and Colin have in town would be too much for me right now. And anyway, isn’t the point of bachelor lodgings to be small and contained.”

 

Anthony grinned, “I suppose you have a point there,” he conceded, “Fair warning, Kate is looking to try and get you settled this season. If you are totally against it let me know now and I’ll try and talk her out of it.”

 

“I suppose I’m not totally opposed,” Gregory replied with a frown, “I like the idea of having what you all have, but I suppose I would have to find someone that I liked enough to marry first.”

 

Anthony handed Greg a glass of brandy and chuckled, “You have no idea what you are letting yourself in for,” he stated.

 


 

Daphne linked arms with Hyacinth as the younger woman entered Clyveden with her husband following behind her, “I’m so happy you agreed to come for Christmas.”

 

“Well, at least we know that we’re both welcome here,” Hyacinth replied, “PapaAnt still won’t speak to Gareth.”

 

Daphne chuckled slightly, “Well, what were you expecting?” she asked, “He didn’t want to accept that you were ready to marry and the way you went about it...”

 

“I know,” Hyacinth replied with an eye-roll, “MamaKate lectured me enough over it all, things just got a little ...”

 

“I know what that feels like,” Daphne smiled, “Did Kate tell you about the time Anth nearly duelled Simon before we married?”

 

Hyacinth stared at her oldest sister in shock, “And he made such a fuss about everything with Gareth,” she muttered, “Both of them did.”

 

Daphne chuckled again, “Of course they did, you’re the youngest,” she explained, “Both Anth and Simon still see you as the little girl you were when Simon and I married. They struggle to see you as the woman you now are.”

 

“Well they’re not going to have a choice soon,” Hyacinth replied with a grin, “I’m expecting, baby will be due in May.”

 

Daphne practically squealed in delight, “Oh Hy! Congratulations!” she exclaimed, “Have you told any of the others yet?”

 

Hyacinth shook her head, “I’ll tell them all after Christmas,” she replied, “I’ll write to MamaKate and let her tell everyone.”

 


 

Just after the Christmas festivities finished and 1824 rolled in two letters arrived at Aubrey Hall, one from Benedict proudly announcing the birth of his daughter, Miss Violet Bridgerton, and confirming the health of both mother and baby which was received with much celebration. The other from Hyacinth announcing her own pregnancy.

 

“GrandpapaAnt,” Kate laughed as Anthony fumed in his office, “Goodness Anthony, our first grandchild.”

 

“We are not that old,” Anthony replied, “But I suppose it is, yes.”

 

“If it makes you feel any better, we’ve got six years now until Charlotte debuts,” Kate grinned, “Plenty of time to relax and ignore London.”

 

Anthony rolled his eyes, “Sometimes I think Eloise has the right idea,” he grumbled, “Hiding out in the country and completely ignoring the season.”

 

Kate laughed as she left the study, leaving Anthony to his grumbles knowing full well that he was as excited as she was at the thought of Hyacinth’s baby calling them Grandpapa and Grandmama.

 

Notes:

I hope this works, I’ve resolved the conflict between Anthony and Gregory and they are now in a better place and Gregory is now in the right frame of mind to meet Lucy next season so that’s all ready to go. And Michael Stirling is on his way back from India just in time for Francesca to be ready to re-marry. Also, Anthony and Kate are nearly grandparents which will help Anthony come to terms with how everything went down with Hyacinth and Gareth in the last few chapters.

Chapter 31: Chapter Twenty Nine - 1824 : Part One

Notes:

Hello! Hello! I'm not dead, I promise! 👋

Thank you so much to everyone who has commented, given kudos and read my nonsense.

I've not really been in a Bridgerton mood recently, I've re-watched the series and Queen Charlotte (and I have thoughts about that - more in the end notes) but I've not been in a space to write much.

I've made the decision to give you this chapter as is, despite the fact that it is not as complete as I would like. The beginnings of this have been sat on my computer for months and I've really struggled to add more to it which has caused the massive delay in posting this. I hope you enjoy and the next installment will be of a suitable length but I'm not putting a time on when it may appear.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this and I'll try and get the next chapter out with not as much of a delay.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“I know I said that I wouldn’t mind trying to find a wife this season,” Gregory groaned as he dropped into a chair across from Colin in their usual corner of Whites, “But MamaKate is simply ridiculous about the whole thing. Do you know those lists she had for all the girls?”

 

Colin snorted a laugh into his glass, “Don’t tell me she has one for you too,” he laughed, “Who tops the list of eligible misses then?”

 

Gregory rolled his eyes, “Miss Persephone Wells,” he sighed, “Younger daughter of Baron Greening and the most emptied headed Miss I’ve ever had the misfortune of speaking with. How did you get out of all of this?”

 

“I’ve known Pen since we were both in leading strings,” Colin quipped, “I didn’t do the whole courtship ritual like this so there was no need for a list. Have you not spoken with anyone you could see marrying?”

 

“Not yet,” Gregory replied, “But I suppose the season is young.”

 

“Can you not just tell Kate that you find Miss Wells to be, what was it ... the most emptied headed Miss.” Colin laughed.

 

“Be quiet,” Gregory grumbled, “And she just thinks I’m being too particular about it all. I don’t suppose it helps that she isn’t the first I’ve complained about.”

 

Colin laughed again, “Sorry Greg,” he sputtered, “But this is just too funny. Anth warned you about what would happen if you let Kate take control of the situation.”

 

“I know,” Gregory grumbled further, “And that is why I’m complaining to you. PapaAnt keeps laughing at me!”

 

At that point, Colin lost all control and laughed loudly as Gregory sulked in his chair.

 


 

“My Lord,” Lewis, the Kilmartin butler greeted Michael as he opened the door of Kilmartin House, “We were not expecting you.”

 

“Apologies Lewis,” Michael replied, “I sent word to Kilmartin, perhaps it is still in transit. Is anyone here?”

 

“Lady Kilmartin is in residence,” Lewis advised, “But she is taking tea with the Duchess of Hastings presently. Will you be requiring anything?”

 

Michael shook his head and made his way to his chambers, Francesca had not changed anything in the last few years and the house still looked as though John would appear from his study at any moment. Michael felt the weight of his grief settle a little as he walked the halls of the house he now owned which still did not feel like his own. 

 

Francesca returned from tea with Daphne a few hours later and practically fell over the trunks that were littering the hallway. 

 

“Lewis!” she called, “What is all of this?”

 

“Hi Frannie,” Michael grinned from the parlour door, “How was tea with the duchess?”

 

“Michael!” Francesca gasped, rushing across the hallway to embrace her cousin, “What are you doing back? Is this a permanent return?”

 

Michael hugged her tightly, “Did no one receive my letter?” he groaned, “I sent word that I was coming back. It is a permanent return, I think it is time, don’t you?”

 

“We didn’t receive any letter,” Francesca replied, “But, this means you will not have received my latest letter too.”

 

“Well, I’m here now so you can catch me up on all the things I’ve missed and we can go through whatever you had written to me about,” Michael replied, before catching sight of Francesca’s face, “Fran, what did you have to tell me in your last letter?”

 

Francesca looked down at her hands to avoid Michael’s concerned gaze, “I am here for the season to try and find a husband,” she whispered, “I want to become a mother, I know I will always love John ...”

 

“Frannie,” Michael whispered brokenly, “I know you will. I didn’t expect you to mourn him forever, just ... let me help, please.”

 

Francesca gave Michael a small smile, “Of course,” she promised, “But I think between you, PapaAnt and His Grace I will struggle to find someone brave enough to stand up to you all.”

 

Michael laughed and reached into the small bag that he had hidden alongside the chair he was occupying to hand Francesca the treasures he had brought back from India for her.

 


 

Hyacinth cradled the small baby in her arms as the St.Clair carriage rolled to a stop in Grosvenor Square, “Do you think PapaAnt will still be angry?” she asked Gareth as he went to open the carriage door.

 

“I think until he sees Isabella he will be,” Gareth replied as he helped Hyacinth down from the carriage, “But after he sees this angel ...”

 

Hyacinth grinned and the small family made their way up the steps of Bridgerton House. 

 

“Hyacinth!” Kate cheered as she greeted the young family, “Oh, let me see her.” 

 

Hyacinth grinned as she handed Isabella over to Kate, “Say hello to GrandmamaKate,” Hyacinth said softly.

 

Kate’s eyes teared up, “Hyacinth,” she breathed, smiling softly as Hyacinth walked the room and headed towards Anthony’s study.

 

“PapaAnt,” Hyacinth smiled as she slipped into the study.

 

Anthony stood from behind the desk and pulled Hyacinth into a hug, “It’s so good to see you Hy,” he said softly, “You look so well.”

 

“You need to come with me,” Hyacinth declared, “GrandPapaAnt.”

 

Anthony chuckled and shook his head but allowed his pseudo-daughter to pull him from the room.

 


 

“Michael is back from India,” Francesca confided to Daphne a few days later over tea, “And he hasn’t changed a bit.”

 

“Are you alright staying in the house with him?” Daphne asked, “Both of you, alone?”

 

“I’m fine,” Francesca promised, “And if things change, I can go and stay with PapaAnt. It’s just ... I had forgotten ...”

 

“Forgotten what?” Daphne frowned, putting down her tea cup to turn and look intently at her sister.

 

“How much he looks like John,” Francesca whispered, “When I walk past the study and I catch sight of him, I sometimes think ...”

 

“Oh Frannie,” Daphne sighed sympathetically, “Are you sure it is best for you to be staying at Kilmartin House? If you are seeing ghosts at every turn.”

 

“Do you think this is what it was like for Mama?” Frannie asked, “I don’t really remember that much of her anymore but I do remember things being quiet for a long time. And that she was very sad.”

 

Daphne sighed, “I think she grieved for Papa for a very long time,” she replied eventually, “And I think things were very difficult and Anthony and Benedict hid a lot of that from us all. But the bits I remember, the bits that I saw ... Mama was not in a good place after Papa died and she was not the same woman afterwards.”

 

“I sometimes think that I am not the same woman,” Francesca whispered.

 

“It is not the same,” Daphne replied firmly, “Yes, Mama grieved Papa for a long time but she also shut herself off from everyone, us all included. You are still going out, you still visit us all. Just ...” Daphne paused, “I know that Michael looks a lot like John, don’t let that get to you. If you are struggling then there is always room for you with me and I know Anthony, Benedict and Colin will say the same thing.”

 

“I know,” Francesca nodded, “I know that you will all give me house room and I know Eloise would if I asked but I am a Countess, I’m sure I could find my own house if I needed to.”

 

“Of course you could,” Daphne smiled, “The point is you do not need to Frannie, let us help you.”

Notes:

Thank you so much for reading my nonsense, I hope you are all still enjoying my nonsense.

So, has everyone watched Queen Charlotte?

I have thoughts ... I loved the storyline and the way they handled the progressive nature of King George III illness and the way Queen Charlotte dealt with that, the love story between them both was beautiful and I particularly loved the fact that the baby they are celebrating at the end of the series is Queen Victoria but the timescales and the way they moved things around really irritated me. King George and Queen Charlotte married in 1761; Lady Danbury being her companion and of a similar age makes sense but Violet Bridgerton was 20(ish) when she gave birth to Anthony in 1784 and so would not have been a teenager at the time that Queen Charlotte is set.

I know that it is a small thing in the grand scheme of things but if the two series are meant to interact then the timeline needs to add up and it just felt like the writers were shoehorning Violet into the Queen Charlotte story line to make the link-up obvious when it wasn't really necessary.

I think this is just me and my inner history geek being very picky but there we are ...

I'll be back at some point eventually with the next chapter and I thank you all again for continuing to give love to my rambles. ❤