Actions

Work Header

The Difference a Wife Makes

Chapter 5: Chapter Three - 1813 : Part Three

Notes:

Thank you again for all the love you are showing my little story!

This chapter is a little bit all over the place, I wanted to set up a few things for 1814; mainly Benedict and his art scene and Eloise’s complete panic about anything society related. I’m trying to get all the adult Bridgerton stories set up and it does make it a little choppy as they are not all in the same place (physically and mentally!).

❗❗Just a bit of a warning here - I do discuss miscarriage at the end of this chapter so if you do not wish to read that then end the chapter when Eloise and Benedict leave the opera. This is also why I have upped the rating. ❗❗

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Over the next few weeks, Bridgerton House turned into a hive of activity as preparations for Daphne and Simon’s wedding got underway. Daphne spent many hours at the modiste being fitted for her bridal gown, trousseau and going away outfits. 

 

“Are you really going to go and live with the Duke?” Hyacinth asked, as she skipped into Daphne’s room with several servants carrying boxes of dresses trailing behind her, “Will he not come and live here?”

 

“No,” Daphne laughed, “I will go and live with the Duke at his house. But I am sure he will let you come and visit.”

 

“But ... Kate came to live with us when she married Anthony,” Hyacinth protested, “So why wouldn’t the Duke come and live here now you are getting married?”

 

“That isn’t how it works,” Daphne replied, sitting on the edge of her bed and pulling her youngest sister next to her, “When a lady gets married, she goes to live with her husband and his family. When you marry, you will go and live with your husband, you wouldn’t stay here with Anthony and Kate.”

 

Hyacinth frowned, “I don’t think I would like to leave PapaAnt,” she muttered, “I won’t get married and then I won’t have to leave.”

 

Daphne laughed slightly and pulled Hyacinth into a hug, “I think you will change your mind,” she said softly, “And I’m sure Anthony won’t mind if you did go and live with your husband eventually.”

 


 

Daphne sat at her dresser on the morning of her wedding, watching Rose pin up her hair. The ladies maid was coming with Daphne to Hastings House and then onto Clyveden and Daphne was glad that some aspect of her old life was coming with her into her new one. 

 

Anthony slipped into the room as Rose was putting the final touches to Daphne’s hair and placing her veil in place, “Are you ready?” he asked softly.

 

Daphne beamed at him, “I am,” she said, “What do you think?”

 

“Beautiful,” Anthony smiled, “Come on, everyone else has already left for the church.”

 

The siblings made their way down the staircase and Anthony helped Daphne into their best carriage, “I’m sure Papa would have had something to say if he were still the one here doing this,” Anthony said softly as they rode to the church, “But in his place, I want to say that I am so proud of you Daph; and they would be too.”

 

Daphne reached for Anthony’s hand and squeezed it softly, “Do you think they would have liked him?” she asked, with a watery smile.

 

“I do,” Anthony replied, “Papa met him a few times when we were both at Eton and he did always like him then. I think if anything, Papa would have sorted all this out earlier for you.”

 

Daphne smiled, “But it all worked out so I’m not too bothered,” she assured him, “I love you Anth, I know I don’t call you the same name as the babies but you have been a very good father.”

 

The carriage stopped and the pair exited, Anthony giving Daphne a firm hug as they entered the church. 

 


 

If she was asked later, Daphne would tell you that she could not remember any of her wedding ceremony. She remembered Anthony walking her down the aisle and giving her a soft kiss on her forehead as he handed her over to the Duke and she remembered Simon standing at the altar, in his new suit with a cravat to match the tiny details of her dress but she could not remember reciting her wedding vows to the Archbishop or him declaring them the Duke and Duchess of Hastings, she felt as though she floated back down the aisle holding onto Simon’s arm.

 

“How do you feel, wife?” Simon asked her with a grin as he seated himself opposite her in the Hastings carriage, “Are you ready to face the Ton?”

 

“I’m so wonderfully happy,” Daphne smiled, “And as long as you promise to stand with me, I’m sure we’ll get through the wedding breakfast.”

 

Three hours later, after greeting what seemed like the entirety of Mayfair, Daphne was back in her childhood bedroom getting ready to leave for her honeymoon. She had sat on the end of her bed for a moment to catch her breath when Kate entered.

 

“I think we need to have a conversation,” Kate said as she sat next to Daphne, “About what the Duke will be expecting tonight.”

 

“The wedding night,” Daphne clarified, “I know I will be expected to sleep in the same bed as the Duke.”

 

Kate nodded, “It is a little more than that,” she continued, “You will share a bed with the Duke, yes, but there is more to the wedding night. There is an act, the marital act, that you will be expected to perform.”

 

“The marital act,” Daphne repeated, “Is this what brings about children?”

 

“It is,” Kate smiled, “And it can be glorious! The Duke will know what to do but I did not want you to leave without us speaking of it.”

 

Daphne nodded, “Does it hurt?” she asked, “I remember when Hyacinth was born and Mama was in so much pain. And when Anne was born, you screamed for hours. Does the marital act hurt like that too?”

 

“It doesn’t,” Kate replied, “The marital act is different from childbirth. I am not certain exactly what transpired between you and the Duke in the Trowbridge Garden,” Kate began, “And I do not need to know but do you remember how you felt when you and the Duke were in the garden?”

 

Daphne blushed slightly and nodded, “Was that the marital act?” she gasped, “Oh! No wonder Anthony was so angry!”

 

“It isn’t,” Kate assured her quickly, “But the kind of things you and the Duke were doing in those gardens can lead to the marital act. That feeling you had, the one where you just want to be closer to the Duke, that is what you will feel when you come to perform the marital act.” Kate paused, feeling her own intense embarrassment at talking about such things with her sister-in-law, “The man will feel the same way but his body reacts differently, his length will become hard, you will notice this and the Duke seems like the kind of man who will definitely tell you when he is feeling that way.”

 

Daphne frowned, “What length?” she asked, “And how will I know?”

 

“Just trust me,” Kate replied, blushing furiously, “You will know. When you are both ready to perform the act, the Duke will insert his length into your ... the part of you in between your legs and this is how a child can be made. The Duke will release his seed and this seed quickens into a child.”

 

“And this happens everytime?” Daphne asked, “Everytime the act is performed a child is made?”

 

“No,” Kate replied, “It is simply a chance that it will happen when the act is performed. You will know you are with a child when your courses do not come that month. Your maid will know when they are due and I am sure she will inform you.”

 

Daphne nodded, “And this act, the Duke will be expecting us to perform it tonight?” she clarified, still unsure if she had fully understood Kate’s explanations.

 

“He will,” Kate replied, “He seems like an honourable man and he will at least wait until you are in bed but some men enjoy performing the act in a carriage or a study chair or ...”

 

“Stop please!” Daphne laughed, “I take it this is something you and my brother enjoy; well you have had three children, so you must do so.”

 

Kate laughed, “I will leave it there,” she promised, giving Daphne a strong hug, “Now come, I’m sure everyone will want to see you off.”

 


 

Simon turned to Daphne as their carriage rolled away from Bridgerton House, “It is too far for us to journey to Clyveden in one day,” he said, “So I have arranged for us to stay at an inn just outside of Tonbridge for the night. It is a perfectly pleasant place to stay ...”

 

“An Inn,” Daphne repeated faintly, “Well, I suppose there will be a bed in an inn,” she said, almost to herself.

 

Simon frowned, “Of course there will be,” he replied, “Have you never had to ... You’ve never had to stay in an Inn before have you?”

 

Daphne shook her head, “We can travel to Aubrey Hall in an afternoon,” she replied, “And I’ve never visited anywhere else.”

 

“It is a perfectly pleasant place,” Simon assured her, taking her hands in his own, “I have stayed there a number of times and I have ensured we have been given their best room.”

 

Daphne nodded, “And so it is at this Inn that we will perform the marital act?” she asked, “Or, well ... Kate did tell me that some men like to perform it in a carriage ...”

 

Simon looked at her with a look that was torn somewhere between disgust and amusement, “I think that is more than I ever needed to know about the activities your brother and his wife partake in,” he snorted, “And if you wish to wait until we reach Clyveden then I am perfectly content to simply sleep in the same bed as you tonight. Just please, no more talk of your brother and his wife!”

 

Daphne giggled and Simon reached across her to close the curtains of the carriage window, “We do have several hours to fill though,” he muttered, pulling her into a kiss, “And no one can stop us from doing this now.”

 

Daphne sighed happily and reached up her hands to run through Simon’s hair, pulling him deeper into the kiss.

 


 

Daphne stood behind the changing screen in the Inn room and heard Rose the Duke as the maid left the room. She smoothed her hands along the front of her nightgown and took a deep breath. She had half understood Kate’s explanations about what she would be expected to do this evening but Simon’s comments in the carriage had also confused her, she wasn’t aware that the marital act could be postponed in the way he had suggested. 

 

She took one last glance at herself in the mirror before moving the screen to the side and facing her husband. She had chosen to wear one of the nightgowns that had formed part of her trousseau, it was made of a lot more lace than her usual nightgowns and was cut quite low around her chest. Simon sat on a chair by the fire in his breeches and shirt, he did not want to be fully ready for bed when Daphne emerged as he did not want to rush his new bride, especially as they were spending their wedding night at a coaching inn and not one of their properties.

 

“Goddess,” Simon breathed when he caught sight of her, “You are so beautiful.”

 

He crossed the room to her in three strides and wrapped her into his arms, “Do you want to go to bed, Wife?” he asked softly, kissing along her jaw and down her neck. Daphne nodded and Simon guided her over to lie on the bed whilst he removed his braces and untucked his shirt.

 

Simon moved to hover over Daphne as she ran her hands over his arms and along his chest, “I’m not sure what to do,” Daphne said softly, ducking her head to avoid his eyes, “Is this OK?”

 

“More than OK,” Simon replied, lifting her head so they were looking in each other’s eyes, “You can touch me wherever you wish, would you like me to remove my shirt?”

 

Daphne nodded and Simon raised himself up slightly to tug his shirt over his head, smirking slightly at Daphne’s gasp when she first caught sight of his well-muscled chest. Her small hands crept along his chest and lower towards the edge of his breeches.

 

“If you want us to wait until Clyveden to consummate this marriage,” Simon whispered, “You need to stop, otherwise we will have our true wedding night here in this bed.”

 

“Can I see?” Daphne asked, “I ... Kate explained some but ... I have never seen and I ...”

 

Simon closed his eyes and kissed Daphne deeply, running his hands up her legs to bunch her nightgown around her hips, his fingers running along the tops of her thighs, “Daphne,” he groaned, “I need you.”

 

Daphne nodded faintly and untied the ribbons at her shoulders, allowing the top of the nightgown to fall. Simon stood and removed his breeches before coming back to hover over her body again. 

 

The couple kissed deeply and Daphne finally understood what Kate’s embarrassed explanations meant.

 


 

Back in London, Benedict sat at a corner table in Whites, running his finger along the edge of his glass. He had been in an odd mood ever since Daphne’s engagement and he was struggling to explain his mood to his brothers who had noticed his melancholy. 

 

He hadn’t told Anthony but he had returned home from the Trowbridge Ball not long after Anthony and Kate had and he overheard the end of their conversation. Kate asking if he could step up and take Anthony’s place in the family and the slight scoff in her tone as she said it had hurt more than he realised at the time. 

 

Benedict knew he wasn’t as responsible as his older brother, and he was grateful that the responsibility of their family hadn’t fallen on his shoulders all those years ago but he thought he was useful to Anthony, that Kate enjoyed his company to hear them both dismissing him in that way had cut him deeply but he was struggling to work out how he could confront them without explaining that he had been listening into their conversation.

 

"Mr Bridgerton," a voice greeted him warmly, "Come, tell me what you think of these paintings."

 

Benedict smiled ruefully, he had been a bit of a fool the last time he had met Henry Granville, and it seemed that the other man would not be letting him forget that anytime soon.

 

“Do you do any painting of your own?” Granville asked as Benedict joined him, “Or do you spend your time critiquing others?”

 

Benedict blushed slightly, “I dabble,” he admitted, “But nothing I have produced is worthy of being put on someone’s wall. Let alone Somerset House.”

 

Granville smiled, “Us second sons have all the luck you know,” he said, “We get to party whilst our brothers shoulder the responsibilities,” he handed Benedict a card, “I hold a salon every Thursday for other artists and like minded fellows, come along tomorrow; let me introduce you to everyone.”

 

Benedict nodded and left the club feeling lighter than he had for some time. 

 


 

Daphne couldn’t control her reaction when the carriage came up the drive towards Clyveden, she would now be mistress of this house! Simon smiled slightly at her side, reaching over for her hand, “It’s not as awful as Hastings House,” he muttered, “But I can’t wait to make our mark on this place.”

 

“I will need to make friends with your housekeeper, Mrs Colson, you said?” Daphne determined, “Kate said that Mrs Wilson was so helpful to her when she and Anthony first married.”

 

“I’m sure Mrs Colson will help you,” Simon replied, “But I don’t plan on us leaving our bed chamber for a few days first.”

 

Daphne giggled and clapped a hand over her mouth to stop the sound as the carriage rolled to a stop and a footman jumped down to open the door.

 

Daphne’s first introduction to the formidable housekeeper did not go the way she wished with the older woman looking down her nose at Daphne as though she believed the daughter of a Viscount was not suitable to be the new Duchess but before she could think on it any further, Simon swept her into his arms and practically ran to their chamber, the newly-wed pair giggling all the way.

 


 

Two days later their honeymoon bliss had to come to an end with the intrusion of Simon’s duties, “What are your plans for the day?” Simon asked as he pulled on his jacket.

 

“I thought of taking up Mrs Colson’s offer of a tour,” Daphne replied, “I would like to know more about the place now I am mistress.”

 

“Take notes of what you wish to redecorate,” Simon replied, “I have no attachment to anything here, you can rip it all out and start again for me so do not hold back.”

 

Daphne smiled, “I will inform you later,” she promised, “Maybe we could take tea?”

 

Simon nodded and kissed her softly before heading for his study. 

 

Daphne walked alongside the housekeeper as the older woman kept up a steam of information about Clyveden and the late Duchess. It was still clear to Daphne from her comments that Mrs Colson did not believe Daphne would live up to the legacy of her previous mistress. 

 

“The Duke and I would like to redecorate some rooms,” Daphne offered as she took in the dark austere dining room, “Mainly to put our own stamp on things, fashions have changed slightly since the late Duke last decorated I think.”

 

Mrs Colson sniffed, “If Your Grace thinks it is appropriate,” she muttered, “Now, come, this is the nursery.”

 

Daphne smiled softly as she entered the room, knowing that the last child to have taken residence here was her husband. She ran her hand over the crib, imagining a small baby with a perfect blend of hers and Simon’s features laying in it, “Hopefully we will soon add to this room,” she said softly.

 

Mrs Colson gave Daphne a smile, the kindest reaction the housekeeper had had to the new Duchess all week. 

 

“The Duke mentioned that there will be a fayre in the village in a few days,” Daphne offered, “I thought that it would be nice to allow the staff some time off to attend; I know the staff at my brother’s country residence always enjoyed the fayres in our own village.”

 

“I expect they will have too much to do,” Mrs Colson replied, “Now Your Graces are in residence. I doubt they will have the time.”

 

“That is a shame,” Daphne commiserated, “Maybe we could look at something to allow them to attend in groups? I wouldn’t like anyone to miss out on the fun whilst we are here.”

 

Mrs Colson sniffed and moved the conversation on again, pointing out portraits of Simon’s ancestors along with favourite things of the late Duke and Duchess.

 


 

Simon found Daphne curled in a corner of the library when he finished his work, “My love,” he said, noticing that she seemed upset, “What is wrong? Have you had some distressing news from London?”

 

“I am being silly,” Daphne replied, wiping her face and straightening to face Simon, “Ignore me.”

 

“Something has upset you,” Simon frowned, kneeling in front of her and taking her hand, “What is wrong?”

 

“I suppose I’m a little homesick,” Daphne replied with a small laugh, “I’m used to the staff at home and how they act, things are different here and I’m just feeling a little overwhelmed.”

 

Simon sighed and moved onto the sofa next to Daphne, pulling her into his arms, “All of the staff here, apart from Jeffries, were my father’s servants,” he said softly, “They do not like how I want to change everything; I am sorry that they are taking that out on you too.”

 

“I thought that Mrs Colson would like my idea of giving the staff time off to attend the fayre,” Daphne replied, “But she dismissed it immediately. I just wanted the staff to have the time to enjoy themselves too.”

 

“I know,” Simon assured her, “And they will. The time off they have will be staggered and they will all attend anyway. I’m not sure why Mrs Colson wouldn’t have just told you that. Did she tell you about the livestock prizes?”

 

Daphne frowned and shook her head, “As Duchess they will ask you to judge the livestock competitions,” Simon explained, “The winner of each category wins the contract to supply the house with meat and other goods for the year. It is very important to the village and it will help you to get along well with them if you take the time to judge.”

 

“I will,” Daphne promised, “Do the same farmers enter each year? I wouldn’t want to cause friction by picking the same man who wins every year.”

 

“I’m not certain,” Simon replied, “But I will check the ledgers, the last winner has just had his last payment so we can at least ensure that another man wins this year.”

 

“Kate advised me to make baskets with herbs and other things we grow here to send down to the village,” Daphne commented, “Would that be welcomed here? I think Kate’s duties as a Viscountess and mine as a Duchess will be slightly different.”

 

“I think the housewives in the village will welcome a basket from the house,” Simon replied, “And I don’t think the duties of the house towards the village change all that much based on your rank. We can make our own traditions, I don’t have any memories of a Duchess of Hastings so you can do what you like as far as I am concerned.”

 

“Mrs Colson did show me the nursery,” Daphne offered after the couple had sat silently for a while, “It struck me then, that you were the last person to live in those rooms.”

 

“I was here until I was five,” Simon replied, “When it was obvious that I had issues with my speech, my father removed me from the nursery and sent me to London. He did not spend much time in London in those days, and when he came up for Parliamentary business he would stay at his club. Aunt Agatha took me in when I was seven and I didn’t come back to this house until I had word he was dying. I reopened Hastings House under protest at the start of the season, I would have been perfectly happy staying at Danbury House as I always have done but Aunt Agatha had other ideas”

 

Daphne turned slightly so that she could wrap her arms around Simon, “I do have a few ideas about redecorating,” she said, “I thought we could start with the formal dining room, we don’t need it just for the two of us and that way we can entertain Anthony and Kate when the season ends.”

 

Simon smiled, “We could make the arrangements to start on all the formal entertaining rooms,” he replied, “Then we could host your family and Aunt Agatha for Christmas. Do the Sheffields spend Christmas with you too?”

 

“Always,” Daphne replied, “Well, Edwina always does. Mary sometimes spends the time with her parents but I think she would attend if we hosted.”

 

“I will ask Jeffries to make enquiries with some decorators and other trades,” Simon promised, “We can make the arrangements whilst we are here and then have them start in a few weeks, we will have to head back to London for the Royal Garden Party so we may as well stay from then until the end of the season. It will give them enough time to sort out things here and then we can hire some more trades to start on Hastings House when we leave London.”

 


 

After six glorious weeks in the country, it was time for the new Duke and Duchess of Hastings to return to London, as two of the highest ranking members of society; they had to be present at the Royal Garden Party.

 

“We will stop in the same Inn on the way back into town,” Simon stated as they rode away from Clyveden, “Although at least you will know that there will be beds this time!”

 

“Oh hush!” Daphne laughed, swatting his chest lightly, “Kate confused me so much with her explanations of the wedding night I didn’t know what to think!”

 

“The lack of information you ladies are given about your own bodies is shameful,” Simon grumbled, “But I have to say, I have enjoyed teaching you.”

 

Daphne blushed, thinking of the secret she was currently keeping. Her courses had been due the previous week and they had still not made an appearance. Rose, her ladies maid, had advised her to keep the news to herself until she missed a second course but Daphne was sure all the servants were gossiping about things in the kitchens. 

 


 

Eloise sat on the swing in the gardens of Bridgerton House, thinking about how her life would change next year. She had watched Daphne prepare for her debut and saw how excited Edwina seemed to be about their own debuts next season and could not bring herself to feel the same way. 

 

Eloise saw nothing but a boring life of duty and calls in her future if she did debut; she had tried appealing to Kate and Anthony both together and separately to let her delay her debut for a year but Anthony had told her in no uncertain terms that she had to debut at 18 and so she had no choice but to do so next year.

 

She was sitting, rubbing her shoe in the dirt underneath the swing when her friend, Penelope, entered the garden, “El,” Penelope said softly, “Are you well?”

 

“You’ll tell me the truth Pen, won’t you?” Eloise asked, looking at her friend desperately, “Promise me you will.”

 

“Of course,” Penelope agreed, taking her own seat on the neighbouring swing, “The truth about what?”

 

“All of it,” Eloise replied, her voice cracking with misery, “The balls, the performances, being presented. Anthony has told me I have no choice, I have to do it next year and I can’t imagine it being anything other than absolute misery. Is it?”

 

“Not all the time,” Penelope replied, honestly, “But the balls are nice, there is always at least one or two interesting people to talk with and it is nice to dance. And I enjoy the performances, watching the opera or an orchestra perform is wonderful.”

 

“You’ve never said,” Eloise said softly, watching her friend’s face light up when describing the events of the season, “I always thought you went along with it because your Mama made you. Not because you enjoy it yourself.”

 

“I don’t enjoy my Mama’s fashion choices,” Penelope replied, “You will have the better deal there, Kate at least understands fashion, but I do enjoy being out.”

 

“I’m scared,” Eloise said eventually, “What happens if I meet someone and they make me leave?”

 

“Leave what?” Penelope asked, confused by her friend’s line of thought.

 

“London, Bridgerton House, all of you,” Eloise replied, “What happens if I marry and have a child? My Mama died after she had Hyacinth. Kate screamed for hours when she had all three of her children; I can still hear the screams when it is quiet.”

 

Penelope stood and wrapped her friend in a fierce hug, “But if you do marry, you will have met the man you wish to spend the rest of your life with,” she said softly, “Look at your brother and Kate, they are so happy together; and Daphne and the Duke, they are so in love. Do you not want that?”

 

“Maybe,” Eloise shrugged, “I’m just not sure I want all the frippery and feathers that come with it.”

 

Penelope laughed, “The feathers do leave a lot to be desired,” she agreed, “But honestly El, it is magical. And when you come out, we can watch it all together.”

 

Eloise smiled, “You are truly my best friend,” she said, giving Penelope a hug of her own.

 


 

Two weeks after their return to London, Simon and Daphne found themselves at the opera. Anthony and Kate had agreed to allow Eloise and Edwina to accompany them to get the two girls used to society events; Eloise was standing at Kate’s side, visibly uncomfortable whilst Edwina stood with Benedict, her eyes wide in delight. 

 

“You look well Daph,” Anthony said, greeting his sister with a kiss to her cheek, “I trust Clyveden lived up to expectations?”

 

“It did,” Daphne replied, “I can’t wait to tell you all about it, are you looking forward to the concert Eloise?”

 

“No,” Eloise replied, “But I have been dragged here so I suppose I should at least try.”

 

Kate rolled her eyes but otherwise ignored the younger girl, “You will have to update me on your renovations,” she offered, “Are you planning on the same here in London?”

 

The two women then began their own discussion, moving away from the main group, towards the refreshment tables. 

 

“How long will this concert last?” Eloise asked as she moved over towards Benedict and Edwina, “I feel like we have been here for hours already.”

 

“At least three hours,” Benedict replied, sneaking a drink from his flask as he did so, “Why sister, you can’t possibly be thinking of leaving already?”

 

“If only I could,” Eloise retorted, “But you know Anthony will not let me.”

 

“Not alone,” Benedict replied, “But I happen to have a prior engagement tonight that our dear brother is not aware of; I would be happy to take you home on my way.”

 

“You are my most favourite brother!” Eloise exclaimed, clinging to Benedict’s arm as they left the show.

 


 

 

Daphne and Simon sat in their own box, opposite her brother’s and settled into their chairs. Simon let his hand rest over Daphne’s leg slightly, giving them both some comfort for the long show ahead of them.

 

Half way through the first act, Daphne inhaled sharply after feeling a sharp pain across her abdomen. She tapped Simon’s hand lightly and moved it from her knee before slipping out of the box. She entered the ladies receiving room and pulling up her skirts before feeling and seeing the blood coming down her legs. 

 

Before she could stop it, she began to sob, her body shaking with the force of her cries as she pressed the provided linen in between her legs.

 

In their own box, Kate and Anthony saw Daphne slip out of the box followed by Simon’s concerned face, watching her leave, “I’ll go over,” Kate whispered to Anthony, slipping out of her own box and rushing around to Daphne.

 

Kate entered the receiving room and immediately knew what had happened, “Oh Daph,” she said softly, drawing the younger woman into her arms, rocking her slightly, “Shh, come on; we’ll go back to Bridgerton House and all will be well.”

 

“I really thought,” Daphne cried into Kate’s shoulder, “I had missed two ... and I really thought ...”

 

Kate closed her eyes, she knew that this wasn’t something as easily dealt with as a slightly late course, Daphne probably was experiencing some kind of miscarriage, “Come on,” she said, helping the younger woman stand, “I’ll leave word for the Duke and we’ll take our carriage back to Bridgerton House.”

 

Daphne swayed slightly as she stood, leaning heavily on Kate as the two women made their way towards the rear exit of the theatre. Kate left a note for Simon so that the man would know that the two women had left and waited for a Bridgerton footman to arrive to help them both into the carriage.

 

“I asked for my carriage,” Kate stated in confusion as one of the Hastings men appeared in front of them, “The Duke is still here.”

 

“The Bridgerton carriage is not here my lady,” the man replied, “Mr Benedict Bridgerton took it earlier; we can take Her Grace back now.”

 

“Her Grace is unwell,” Kate replied, “We are going to Bridgerton House so I can care for her until the Duke returns.”

 

The two women sat in the carriage on their way back to Mayfair, Daphne’s head resting on Kate’s shoulder as the younger woman cried silently, “Kate,” Daphne said quietly, “Can I just go to sleep? I’m very tired.”

 

“Not until we get inside,” Kate replied, “Tell me more about the plans you have for Clyveden. And Hastings House; I might see if I can talk Anthony into redecorating some of our rooms and I would like some ideas.”

 


 

“Where did our wives go?” Anthony asked Simon with a frown at the interval, “Do you suppose there is a married women's club they can run off to now?”

 

Simon laughed, “I’m not sure,” he said, looking around in concern for his own wife, “Daphne seemed unwell when she left our box but I’m sure they would have left word if they had returned home.”

 

“Your Grace!” one of the theatre employees ran up to Simon, slightly out of breath, “I have a message for you from Lady Bridgerton.”

 

Simon took the note from the man and read the same with wide eyes before pushing it towards Anthony and taking his leave from the room.

 

Simon

 

Daphne has taken ill, we have returned to Bridgerton House. Please tell Anthony when you can and return home. 

 

Kate

 

PS - It appears Benedict has taken our carriage, I will send your own back for you when we have been delivered home.

 

Anthony joined Simon at the theatre door, “I need to collect Edwina,” he said softly, “She is talking with the Featherington girls but then we will join you and go back. Has your carriage returned?”

 

Simon shook his head and Anthony set off to retrieve his sister-in-law.

 


 

Simon entered Bridgerton House just as the doctor was leaving, “Doctor?” he asked, “My wife?”

 

“Her Grace is sleeping now,” the doctor replied, “She will be well enough to return home in the morning and I would recommend that you allow her a week before resuming your marital relations. This should have no impact on Her Grace’s ability to bear further children.”

 

Simon faltered, “Thank you doctor,” Anthony replied for him, pushing Simon further into the house.

 

Edwina smiled and slipped upstairs, wisely choosing to leave the two men and retire for the evening.

 

“I didn’t know,” Simon said as Anthony guided him into the study and put him in a chair, “I didn’t know.”

 

“Daphne might not have known,” Anthony replied, taking his own seat, “This has happened to Kate ... it is too early to know for certain but ...”

 

“There was still a child,” Simon finished quietly, “Can I go up to see her?”

 

Anthony nodded, “I’ll go and see what room she is in,” he replied, “I think her old one but Kate might have put her in a guest room so the girls don’t disturb her.”

 


 

“How are you?” Anthony asked Kate as they lay in bed.

 

Kate stifled a sob, “It hasn’t been that long since it last happened to me,” she whispered, “And I do not wish to say anything too soon but ...”

 

Anthony’s hand moved to rest lightly on Kate’s stomach, “Then we won’t say anything,” he said softly, “I love you.”

 

Kate kissed him softly, “I love you too,” she smiled. 

Notes:

So, there we have it - Simon and Daphne are married. I hope Kate delivering the awkward sex talk works - I’m trying to balance my idea of Kate enjoying having a lot of sex with Anthony with the embarrassment of having to discuss the same with her sister-in-law; also at the time period, it would not have been proper for women of their class to talk about this at all so poor Kate tries her best but she doesn’t fully know how to explain it all - she just knows how much she enjoys it!

I made the decision not to show everything we see with the honeymoon that we do in the show, just because it doesn’t really change that much except Daphne understands exactly how a baby is made and Simon isn’t in the same place regarding his vow with his father so they are very much trying to make a baby Bassett.

I think out of all my couples, Daphne and Simon are the only ones who have their canon children as theirs is the only storyline that happens in the same timeframe.