Actions

Work Header

The Difference a Wife Makes

Chapter 3: Chapter One - 1813 : Part One

Notes:

Thank you again so much for all your comments, kudos and for taking the time to read this <3

The next few chapters will be covering 1813 and Daphne and Simon’s story but I’ll be weaving a few other threads in there for the next few years too.

Just in terms of updates etc. I have fully taken advantage of the four day weekend we have just had in the UK and spent (probably a bit too much) time on this story. Like I have said, I do have a lot of ideas for the story but I do need to work on getting them all into some kind of order. I am hoping to have the rest of 1813 boxed off in my drafts this week so I can start working on the next few years after that but I think I will only be releasing a chapter once a week from here on out just so I have the time to actually write them!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

1813

 

It had started as a rumour, a low murmuring amongst the men in Whites and a high tittering giggle amongst the Mama’s of Mayfair’s ballrooms but Anthony refused to listen and believe it until now.

 

“You must have heard Lord Bridgerton,” Lady Danbury greeted, tapping her cane on the floor as Anthony stopped following Daphne with his eyes, “I think everyone in town has asked me to confirm, everyone that is, apart from you.”

 

“Ah Lady Danbury,” Anthony smiled, “If I believed that particular rumour everytime I heard it, I would still be waiting to wed. I take it that this time it is actually true?”

 

“As true as I am standing here,” she grinned, “I’m expecting him at my table for breakfast tomorrow, the old bastard was finally put in the ground last week.”

 

Anthony smiled, his first true smile in many years, “Send him my way for lunch will you?” he asked, “He has a godson to meet.”

 


 

Simon Bassett, Duke of Hastings, stepped out of his carriage outside his best and oldest friend’s house; it had been nearly ten years since he had last seen his friend and had missed a wedding and the birth of at least one child in those years. He frowned as he took sight of the small line of gentlemen with courting gifts on the steps, surely he hadn’t been gone so long that one of the children was now old enough to do the season?

 

Ignoring the shouts, Simon bounded up the steps and presented his card to the butler, “I’m here to see Lord Bridgerton,” he announced, loud enough for the line of suitors to hear, “I believe I am expected.”

 

“You’ve been expected for the last eight years, Bassett,” Anthony laughed from the door of his study, “Or sorry, is it Hastings now?”

 

“You can keep to Bassett,” Simon replied, before grinning as the two old friends embraced, “How are things?”

 

Anthony frowned, “What is all this Humboldt?” he asked, gesturing to the suitors.

 

“For Miss Daphne,” Humboldt replied quietly, “Lady Bridgerton has not indicated that they are ready to receive callers, my Lord.”

 

“Oh for heaven’s sake,” Anthony sighed, “Give me a minute will you Bassett?”

 

A few minutes later, the line of suitors were being entertained by Kate and Daphne and Simon and Anthony were in his study. 

 

“Little Daphne is old enough to court?” Simon said, the shock clear on his face, “When did that happen?”

 

“Two years ago,” Anthony sighed, “Eloise is out next year and Frannie the one after that.”

 

“Bloody hell,” Simon huffed, “And Daphne’s had no offers?”

 

“Oh she’s had plenty,” Anthony replied, “None of which I deemed acceptable. It seems that every man who has asked wants her dowry to cover off gambling debts; I’m not sending my sister to live in some kind of genteel poverty with a man who can’t control his habits.”

 

“You surely  can’t want to keep her at home forever though,” Simon commented, “And every man has his vices, you know that.”

 

“I have a wife who is more than happy to keep up with some of those habits,” Anthony replied with a grin, “Who you actually need to meet, by the way.”

 

“And I understand I have a godson to spoil too,” Simon retorted, “A very poorly disguised ploy of you and Aunt Agatha to get me home.”

 

“Had to try,” Anthony laughed, “Your steward was a fine stand-in by the way, didn’t drop my son or anything.”

 

“Has it really been eight years?” Simon sighed, looking around the room, noting the changes that had been made, “How have things been?”

 

“It definitely has been eight years,” Anthony replied with an eye roll, “And things have been difficult; I’m raising eight children, it wasn’t going to be easy.”

 

Simon simply nodded and the two old friends sank into their chairs, enjoying the brandy Anthony had provided.

 

“You seem a lot more comfortable with it,” Simon commented suddenly, “Than you did when I left. You’ve grown into it.”

 

“Doesn’t feel like it,” Anthony grumbled, “But I suppose I must have done. Come on, I’ll introduce you to Kate; the children will be in the nursery but they’ll be down at some point.”

 


 

“Anthony!” Hyacinth cheered as he entered the parlour, making a run for her brother who caught her with the ease of someone with years of practice, “I’ve finally completed my sums, can we please go for an ice now?”

 

“Not yet,” Anthony replied, “We have a guest.”

 

“Those silly men who have come to see Daph?” Hyacinth asked, dismissal clear in her tone, “One of them played marbles with Greg.”

 

As the young girl continued to list the faults of the men who had paid Daphne calls that day, Simon stood choking on his laughter until Hyacinth noticed him, “Oh,” she said, mid-word, “Who are you?”

 

“Hyacinth!” Kate snapped, “Manners!”

 

Hyacinth had the grace to blush as Simon smiled easily, “Hello Miss Hyacinth,” he greeted, “I’m Simon, I’ve not seen you since you were in the cradle.”

 

“Did you know us then?” Gregory exclaimed, “Did you know Anthony too?”

 

“Your brother is my best and oldest friend,” Simon replied honestly, “But I’ve been away for a very long time.”

 

Anthony moved over to Kate, “Yes he is who you think,” he whispered in her ear, before gesturing for Simon to come over, “Bassett, can I introduce you to my lovely Lady wife, Katherine.”

 

“Lady Bridgerton,” Simon smiled, taking her hand and kissing her knuckles, “A pleasure. And please accept my apologies for missing the wedding.”

 

“Your Grace,” Kate curtsied slightly, “All is forgiven, it is nice to finally meet you.”

 

“And I’m sure you remember the rest of them,” Anthony commented, “Eloise is  the one with her nose in a book, Francesca is on the pianoforte and this is Daphne. Ben and Colin are out somewhere but I’m sure they’ll be back soon.”

 

Eloise waved absently whilst Francesca and Daphne made small curtseys. Kate slipped out of the room to retrieve their own children from the nursery.

 

“Did someone really start playing marbles with Greg?” Anthony asked as he inspected the cards left by Daphne’s suitors that morning, “And I thought I sent this one packing last season.” He threw the card into the fire in disgust.

 

“Yes,” Daphne smiled slightly, “Mr Finch, I think it was. He didn’t have much to say and then next thing he was on the floor with Greg.”

 

Simon, who had been trying to control his laughter up to that point burst into peals of laughter, “Oh that is priceless!” he stated, “Did he mistake Greg for the Viscount?” 

 

“I do not know Your Grace,” Daphne replied, before giving into her own giggles, “I didn’t know where to look or what to say! Kate got rid of him, thankfully.”

 

“It’s Simon,” Simon replied with an eye-roll, “You called me Simon when I used to visit as a boy so I think you can call me Simon now.”

 

Daphne smiled and blushed, Anthony rolled his eyes and shook his head before catching Simon’s eye with a warning glare.

 

“Papa! Papa!” Any tension was saved by four year old Edmund running into the room and straight for Anthony. 

 

Anthony swung his son on to his hip, “I want you to meet your godfather,” he turned so that the young boy could see Simon, “He has been away for a long time but he’s come to meet you today.”

 

Edmund frowned and looked at Simon, “He's been away?” he asked, with a frown, “Why?”

 

“To see the world,” Simon replied, standing to greet the small boy, “I have got some gifts for you.”

 

Edmund’s eyes grew large, in the only way a small child’s can when promised gifts, “I don’t have them with me today,” Simon continued, “But maybe I could come again tomorrow?”

 

Edmund grinned and nodded before wriggling back down to the floor and scampering off again towards his mother and sister.

 

Simon looked at his old friend and chuckled before taking his leave with promises to visit again. 

 


 

“Anthony’s friend is very handsome,” Daphne commented as she and Kate prepared for that evening’s ball, “Did you think so?”

 

“I didn’t notice,” Kate replied, “But I understand a lot of women do think that, yes.”

 

“I bet he is very interesting to talk to,” Daphne continued, “Do you think he will be at Lady Danbury’s ball tonight?”

 

“I think he will be,” Kate replied, “She is his godmother after all. Why do you ask?”

 

“He just seems to be the most interesting man I have met in a while,” Daphne replied, “After the marble incident, it would be nice to speak with a man who knows the world.”

 

Kate simply nodded, she could see this going very badly. Anthony was fiercely protective of his siblings, particularly his sisters, and she was well aware of the reputation the new Duke of Hastings had left behind in London before he embarked on his tour of the world and she could only imagine how that same reputation was probably now in every country he had visited. Anthony might like Simon, consider the other man one of his closest friends who had been witness to the lowest times of Anthony’s life but Anthony would not trust a rake such as Simon Bassett anywhere near his sister. 

 

Kate looked at Daphne and thought about the relationship she had with the young woman, it hadn’t been as simple as her relationship with the younger children or even with her older brothers, Colin and especially Benedict had easily welcomed her to the family; happy that Anthony finally had someone to lean on, someone to help raise the rest of the children. 

 

Gregory and Hyacinth had simply accepted her and loved her equally as fiercely as they loved Anthony, they were after all the only parents the two youngest Bridgertons could remember but the three middle girls, they had all been so determined to cling to the memory of their mother and so against Kate taking her place that they had actively fought her about everything. It was a hard six months of tears, tantrums and fights before they settled into an easy rhythm of friendship.

 

“Anthony will be furious,” Kate commented casually, “You do realise that he has known the Duke of Hastings from school?”

 

“I know,” Daphne replied with a smile, “But if we get along, I don’t think he would have too many objections, do you?”

 

“I think you should see if His Grace speaks with you tonight,” Kate warned, “And how well you actually get along. If you are serious, and he returns the sentiment, then I will speak with Anthony and try to calm him.”

 

“Thank you Kate!” Daphne gushed, giving her sister-in-law a rare hug, “Thank you!”

 


 

Anthony frowned as he watched Simon leading Daphne around the dance floor in a waltz, “Remind me again why you insisted she have permission to waltz?” he asked Kate as she also watched the couple

 

“Because you do actually want her to be married,” Kate reminded him, “You do actually want her settled and happy. And can I remind you that you clearly trust him enough to be the godfather to our son so surely you can trust him to dance with your sister?”

 

Anthony frowned, “You are forgetting that I know exactly what he will be thinking whilst he is dancing with her,” he replied quietly, “And that is not something I want him thinking about my sister.”

 

Kate rolled her eyes, “I’m sure it is something similar to what you thought the first time we danced in this ballroom,” she replied, “I am not naive enough to believe that your first thought was of love and marriage.”

 

“Well actually ...” Anthony hedged

 

“Marriage I will grant you,” Kate replied quickly, “That was clearly what you wanted, no, what you needed, but when we first danced and talked, I was just another debutante with a nice dress and an ability to dance a quadrille; I was as faceless to you then as the rest of the room. And don’t deny it.”

 

Anthony smiled and kissed Kate’s hand softly, “But that soon changed,” he smiled.

 

“And it could happen for Daphne,” Kate pressed, “She is intrigued by him at the moment, let them talk at least before you go over.”

 

“Fine,” Anthony sighed, “Benedict is on his way over anyway.”

 

Kate rolled her eyes, “I’m at my wits end with the pair of you,” she said, indulgently, “I’m going to go and pay our respects to the hostess, please try and not kill your oldest friend in the middle of Lady Danbury’s ballroom. And, if you see Colin send him my way.”

 


 

“Hastings!” Benedict greeted Simon with a grin, “The long lost traveller returns! Does Anthony know you are back?”

 

“I had luncheon with him this morning,” Simon replied with his own grin

 

“Daph,” Benedict said, suddenly noticing his sister, “What are you doing here?”

 

“It’s a ball Ben,” Daphne replied, as though he was a particularly slow child, “His Grace and I have just danced, we are now getting refreshments and then he is escorting me back to Kate. What else would I be doing here?”

 

Benedict frowned, “And Anthony knows?” he clarified, “Or is he not here?”

 

“No, I’m here,” Anthony replied, from behind Benedict, “Where have you been and where is Colin?”

 

“I’ve been around,” Benedict hedged, “And Colin is ... actually, you know I’m not entirely sure. I can tell you that he is in London though.”

 

“Helpful,” Anthony replied with an eyeroll, “Come on Daph, I’ll dance the next with you.”

 

Daphne smiled at Simon before placing her hand in Anthony’s and let him lead her to the dance floor.

 

“He seems calmer,” Simon commented as he and Benedict stood together, watching the proceedings, “More settled with all of it.”

 

Benedict took a drink, “He is, I think,” he replied after a few seconds, “Kate helped; she helped a lot. The youngest two, I don’t think they remember anything other than Anthony and Kate so it was easy for them. The girls, well, everything is settled now; unless one of them gets in a temper about something.”

 

“So, where is Colin?” Simon asked with a grin, “And does it have something to do with your disappearance all day?”

 

Benedict laughed, “Colin is at home sleeping things off,” he replied, “We’ve been in Whites most of the day and then took a trip out to the boxing. He’s a little worse for wear so I thought it best he went home instead of coming here. Anthony will not be happy though, so I’m hoping he can only find out in the morning.”

 

“Secret is safe with me,” Simon promised, “But  you might want to take a couple of glasses of lemonade before you have any more otherwise you’ll give the game away.” Benedict laughed but picked up a glass of lemonade nonetheless. 

 

“Are you planning on avoiding me all evening?” Lady Danbury asked with a tap of her cane as she reached the pair.

 

“Aunt Agatha,” Simon smiled, placing a kiss on the older lady’s cheek, “Of course not, but I have been catching up with old friends.”

 

“And making new ones from what I could see,” Agatha commented, “Mr Bridgerton, this is your sister’s second season is it not?”

 

“It is,” Benedict replied

 

“Hmmm,” Lady Danbury sighed, “Nice girl, I’m surprised she’s not been wed already.”

 

“That is a conversation you need to have with my brother,” Benedict replied, “Nothing to do with me.”

 

“Hmmm” Lady Danbury sighed again, “Interesting.”

 

“Don’t think I don’t know what you are doing,” Simon stated, “And it won’t work, I’ll sort myself in my own time.”

 


 

“How was the dance with Hastings?” Anthony asked as he and Daphne danced, “Was he respectful?”

 

“Of course he was!” Daphne replied, slightly scandalised, “And it was nice, we talked about his travels a little. And he asked about my interests, what I have been reading and the like.”

 

“And did you like him?” Anthony asked

 

“I think I did,” Daphne replied with a smile, “Did you know he has been to the Americas?”

 

“I did,” Anthony replied with a small, sad smile, “I expect he has been to most corners of the globe.”

 

“Brother?” Daphne asked, “Are you not happy that I find him interesting?”

 

“Ah,” Anthony sighed, “It’s not that, did I ever tell you I had plans to travel a little after I had finished Eton?”

 

Daphne smiled sadly, “You didn’t,” she replied, knowing the reason as to why Anthony had not left the country with his friend. 

 

Anthony smiled and as the dance finished, led Daphne back to Kate before taking his leave from the ball.

 


 

The following morning Simon sat in his Aunt’s parlour, reading the newspaper, “Are you staying here?” she asked as she sat opposite him, “Or are you actually going to open your own house?”

 

“Are you genuinely curious or are you telling me to move out?” Simon replied, not moving the paper from his face.

 

“Simon,” Agatha sighed, “You know I will never ask you to leave my house but you do have responsibilities now. A house to run, staff to employ; it is your house now, your title, not his, not ever again.”

 

“I know,” Simon snapped, closing the paper and running his hand over his eyes, “I hate that house,” he muttered, “I’ve always hated that house. I’ve no problem going and re-opening Clyveden but there’s something about that house. Can we just leave it for now?”

 

“Of course,” Agatha replied brightly, “Did any young Misses catch your eye last night? Young Miss Bridgerton is a catch, is she not?”

 

Simon groaned, “Do we have to?” he complained, “And to answer your question, no, none of the girls in that ballroom last night caught my eye.”

 

“And Miss Bridgerton?” Agatha pressed, “She would be a fine match you know, and her brother is your closest friend.”

 

“And that is precisely the reason I’m not having this conversation,” Simon replied hotly, “I’m going to be spending a bit of time with them all, so I’ll see how things go. I’ll admit to a passing interest,” he said eventually, “But unless she thinks the same and I’m convinced she’ll be the new Duchess then I’m not acting on it. I can’t risk my friendship with Anthony, the man’s lost enough.”

 

Lady Danbury nodded, “She would make a fine Duchess,” she said softly, “But I will leave you alone for now. Come, let us go on a promenade; I can fill you in on all you have missed these last eight years.”

 

Simon sighed but stood and offered his arm to his aunt as they left Danbury House for their promenade.

 


 

Anthony and Kate walked behind their younger sisters as the four girls chatted and walked with the family’s pet dogs, enjoying the time they had before they too took their places in society.  

 

“We really need to try and get Daphne fixed this year,” Kate commented as they walked, “Otherwise we will have three of them to sort next year.”

 

“I know,” Anthony replied, “But no one suitable has shown any interest and she hasn’t shown any interest in anyone either. I’m not going to force her down the aisle for the first fortune that comes calling.”

 

“I know,” Kate soothed, “She does seem quite interested in the Duke, maybe you could speak with him?”

 

“I’m not sure I would consider Hastings to be suitable,” Anthony grumbled, “And he has always said that he would not marry.”

 

“And I’m sure you said the same when you were carousing around Oxford,” Kate shot back, “He is your oldest friend, in possession of a handsome fortune and will be able to keep Daphne in the finest conditions for the rest of her days. On paper he is more than a perfect match for her, and more to the point she is interested. This is the first man she has shown more than a passing interest in for the last two seasons. Anthony, I know of his reputation and I understand your concerns but, if he wishes to set his cap at her then can we not just see how it goes? I would rather not have to try and get Daphne settled at the same time I am wrestling Eloise into a ball gown.”

 

Anthony snorted a laugh at the image, “We are going to have more than our hands full with Eloise next season,” he agreed, “And Edwina will need to be settled; although I can imagine that being a little easier to contend with.”

 

Kate laughed, “Edwina is looking forward to the season,” she agreed, “I think Eloise would delay if we would let her.”

 

“We can’t,” Anthony replied, “We would have her and Fran to deal with the year after if we allowed her to delay.”

 

“I know,” Kate smiled, “I did wonder if we could allow Eloise to attend a few concerts and such to ease her in. She seems to have built the season into something it is not in her head and maybe if she could see parts it might ease her, and in turn make our lives easier next year.”

 

“Of course,” Anthony agreed, “I think it will help that Miss Featherington is out this year; maybe seeing a friendly face will sooth her nerves.”

 

“Yes,” Kate agreed, “And maybe you can talk to Colin about Miss Featherington, he does seem to be taken with her.”

 

“He wants to take a Grand Tour,” Anthony replied, “I don’t think he will be sticking around at the end of the season, it seems cruel to build the young lady’s hopes like that.”

 

Kate nodded in agreement, “Has he asked you to fund that yet? Or is he still working up the courage?”

 

“I keep over hearing plans he is discussing with Ben,” Anthony replied, “I’m tempted to just leave the banker’s draft on his bed and be done with it.”

 

Kate laughed loudly, “Oh that will break his heart!” she exclaimed.

 


 

A few days later the whole Bridgerton family were having a picnic in Hyde Park, Eloise was complaining about Kate’s efforts to get her and Edwina to the modiste to lower their hems now they were due out and Francesca was complaining that she had to wait a further 12 months to have her own hems lowered. Anthony heard snippets of the conversation, the words ‘not fair’ were being repeated a lot. He sighed and shook his head, it seemed that their struggle with Eloise had already begun.

 

Anthony sat on the blanket, holding the hands of his daughter as the toddler attempted some kind of dance of her own making whilst Hyacinth and Gregory entertained Edmund. Benedict and Colin were stretched out on the blanket behind Anthony, having a whispered conversation about Colin’s tour that Anthony was choosing to ignore. He looked up and saw Daphne sat with Kate and smiled softly, his family, his messy, complicated family all in one place being relatively harmonious; it was something that still surprised him.

 

“Isn’t this the picture of domestic bliss,” Simon laughed as he jumped from his horse, “Can I tempt anyone on a ride?”

 

Daphne straightened slightly and smiled, Anthony sighed, “Come on Daph, I’ll take Ben’s horse and accompany you both.”

 

Daphne smiled brightly and kissed Anthony’s cheek, “Thank you!” she grinned, before moving over to her horse and with the help of a footman, mounted the saddle. 

 

The three had been riding for around ten minutes before Anthony spoke, “I know you told Colin,” he said to Daphne, “About my plans for after Eton.”

 

“Should I not have done so?” Daphne asked softly, “I didn’t realise it was a secret, I assumed Colin would have known at the time.”

 

“It’s never been a secret,” Anthony replied, “But he’s now plotting some elaborate way of asking me to fund his Grand Tour instead of just coming out and asking. It’s getting a little tiring to pretend I don’t know what he is up to.”

 

Simon laughed, “Tell him to come to me for some tips,” he offered, “When you’ve put him out of his misery.”

 

“You will regret that offer,” Anthony replied, “I haven’t heard his plans fully as yet but they have changed a number of times in the last few weeks.”

 

“All good plans do,” Simon said thoughtfully, casting a glance over at Daphne.

 

Anthony rolled his eyes, “Are you staying in London for the rest of the season, your Grace?” Daphne asked with a smile. 

 

“I had not planned on it,” Simon replied, “But I think I could be tempted to do so. Will you be in attendance at Vauxhall this evening?”

 

“I think so,” Daphne replied, “We are  still going to Vauxhall, Anthony?”

 

“We are,” Anthony replied, before looking at Simon, “I’ll take you back to Kate and then the Duke and I can have a conversation.”

 


 

An hour or so later, Anthony and Simon were sitting at one of the tables in Whites sharing a few drinks, “I’m not going to compromise your sister Bridgerton,” Simon said with an eye roll, “There will be no need to call me out on the duelling field.”

 

“She is innocent,” Anthony said quietly, “You are a Duke and you have turned her head; if you are simply being polite because she is my sister then let me know and I can talk to her.”

 

Simon set down his glass and tapped his fingers along the top of it, “I ... am not yet certain,” he said after a while, “I would like the chance to get to know her but if you have objections then I will retire to the country and let Miss Daphne find her match elsewhere.”

 

Anthony frowned and raised his own glass for a refill before answering, “I have no objections,” he said slowly, “But if you are not serious then please do not let anything go on for too long.”

 

Simon nodded and the pair toasted each other before turning the conversation to more lighthearted topics.

 

That evening at Vauxhall, Simon and Daphne shared a dance and the rest of the Ton in attendance noted how attentive the recently returned Duke was to the young debutante; the marriage-minded Mamas of the Ton all cursed their delays in placing their own debutantes in front of the Duke before the Viscount had the chance to introduce his sister to his old friend. 

 

“Our little Daphne a Duchess,” Kate whispered in Anthony’s ear as they stood at the side of the dancefloor watching Daphne laugh at something Simon had said.

 

Anthony rolled his eyes, “Not yet,” he cautioned, “I wouldn’t go putting in an order for her Trousseau at the modiste just  yet. Let’s see how things go. She does look happy though,” he added softly.

 

Kate smiled and let her hand slip into his, giving a small squeeze as she did so. He brought her hand to his lips and placed a soft kiss on her knuckles, “One down,” he smiled, “Far too many to go.”

 

Notes:

I am struggling to balance how men would have acted in Regency England with my need to try and explain their inner thoughts to help with the story, hence a lot of conversations with surrogate mothers and wives to try and get things moving. I have no idea if Simon would have treated Lady Danbury with such openness in reality (I know it isn’t really something that is seen in the show) but I do like the idea of her swooping in and rescuing the poor, neglected Baby Simon and I think he would treat her more as a mother as a result of that. Also, I do picture Simon and Anthony being quite close as friends and because Anthony is a little more settled here, he is more willing to listen to what everyone around him was saying regarding Simon and Daphne’s clear interest in each other.