Actions

Work Header

The Difference a Wife Makes

Chapter 14: Chapter Twelve - 1816

Notes:

Thank you once again for all your reads, kudos and comments ❤️

This chapter covers the off-season after the end of the 1816 season; we last left the family at the end of the 1815 season and I did not have anything planned for the 1816 season so I’ve made the decision to skip a year to help move things along. The positions with the family have not changed in regards to the couples etc. but we finally have the long awaited meeting of Benedict and Sophie - I have changed Sophie’s prospects here and I hope you like what I am doing. I have also taken the book version of the familial relationship with Marina, in that she is a distant cousin of the Bridgertons (on Violet’s side) and not a relation of the Featheringtons. She won’t really be playing a huge part in this fic, but she is a useful vehicle for helping introduce people to each other.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Benedict smiled to himself as he reviewed the canvas he had been painting, the orchard at the end of his manicured lawns at My Cottage provided the perfect landscape for him to practice his craft. He had taken possession of the oddly named property a few years previously but hadn’t spent too much time there since starting at the Royal Academy. 

 

After spending so many years in the chaos of Bridgerton House and Aubrey Hall, the peace and quiet of My Cottage was very refreshing. Just as he was about to dive back into his painting, Mrs Crabtree, the housekeeper came onto the patio, “You asked me to remind you when it was tea time, Mr Bridgerton,” she said, “You need to get ready for dinner at Romney Hall.”

 

Benedict sighed, he had forgotten about the dinner his distant cousin had invited him to. He had forgotten about the relationship before he had moved to Wiltshire but it seemed that the woman’s father had remembered their kinship with the Ledger family and an invitation had been issued by Lady Crane to introduce her distant cousin to the notable families in the area. 

 

A few hours later, Benedict was exiting his curricle outside of Romney Hall; the home of the Crane family was relatively large and Benedict’s was not the only carriage pulling up in the large driveway. 

 

“Cousin Benedict,” Marina Crane smiled as he entered, “Welcome to Romney Hall; how are you finding the country?”

 

“Cousin Marina,” Benedict smiled, happy he could now place the woman he had met a handful of times as a child, “It is a lot quieter than London it has to be said but I am enjoying the peace. It is giving me plenty of time to concentrate on my art.”

 

“Oh an artist!” Marina exclaimed, “You will come as an excellent addition to our little set here. Now come, I must introduce you to our nearest neighbours, the Earl of Penwood and his family.”

 

Benedict soon found himself brought over to a middle-aged couple and a young girl who looked to be around Daphne’s age, “Lord Penwood,” Marina smiled, “Let me introduce my cousin, Mr Benedict Bridgerton, he has just taken over the estate at Purton and I’m introducing him to everyone in the local area.”

 

Benedict smiled at Lord and Lady Penwood, “Mr Bridgerton,” Lord Penwood nodded, “And this is my ward, Miss Sophia Beckett.”

 

Benedict smiled at the petite blonde woman who seemed very stiff sat next to the older couple. She blushed and looked down at her hands which were placed in her lap.

 

By luck, or Marina’s design, Benedict found himself sat with Sophia at dinner, “Lady Crane said that you were an artist,” Sophia offered, “What kind of art do you paint?”

 

“A little bit of everything,” Benedict replied, “I am still studying at the royal academy at the moment, working on different things. What about you, Miss Beckett, do you get up to anything interesting here in the country?”

 

“Oh not really,” Sophie blushed, “Just the usual, my cousins have a large parkland and I do enjoy riding.”

 

“Are you ever in London?” Benedict asked, “I feel like we would have been introduced but I do not think we ever have been.”

 

“I do not go to London,” Sophie replied, “My cousins do not travel to town and I am content here in the country. Do you spend much time in London?”

 

“Most of the season,” Benedict replied, “The Royal Academy is in London and my family enjoy the season.” 

 

“I have never experienced the season,” Sophie admitted, “What is it like?”

 

“Well, my sisters tell me it is very different for young ladies,” Benedict smiled, “But I enjoy it.” The two then passed the rest of their turn talking about the season and its benefits. 

 


 

On their journey home Sophie sat in the Penwood carriage as her cousins chatted about the dinner party they had just left.

 

“Mr Bridgerton seemed interesting,” Lady Penwood commented, “Didn’t you think so Sophia?”

 

“He did,” Sophie replied, “But he spends a lot of time in London so it is silly even thinking about him.”

 

“There is nothing to stop you having a season,” Lady Penwood pointed out, “You are a ward of the Earls of Penwood, it wouldn’t be too untoward.”

 

“Araminta will be in London,” Sophie said quietly, “She would make a scene.”

 

Lady Penwood scoffed, “Let her try,” she muttered, “That woman needs to remember her place.”

 

“Leave it,” Lord Penwood stated firmly, “And Mr Bridgerton is a second son, I’m sure we can aim a little higher. You are a ward of the Earl of Penwood, a cousin of the line, if you are going up to London then we will look for you a first son.”

 


 

Benedict returned to My Cottage that evening thinking about the intriguing young woman he had met that evening. For all he hadn’t been looking forward to the evening, it had been an interesting dinner party and Benedict was thinking of reasons to meet Miss Beckett again.

 

She had been introduced as a ward of the Earl but Benedict had not spent his entire life in society to not realise how things were coded for polite company. She was clearly either the current or late Earl’s by-blow who was being raised as a distant relative to spare the Countess’ blushes; he decided to see what else he could find out about the Penwoods before making any decisions.

 


 

Hyacinth grinned as Anthony led her out of the stables on her brand new horse, Diamond. Anthony had purchased the horse whilst the family had been in London for the season and tasked the grooms to train her for Hyacinth’s thirteenth birthday. 

 

“Come on,” Anthony smiled, “We’ll go over to the low ridge and back so you can see how you handle the horse.”

 

“This is the best present ever PapaAnt!” Hyacinth cheered, “I didn’t think I could ever have my own horse. Do I look like a proper lady?”

 

“You do,” Anthony laughed, “If you manage well enough you can start coming out with Kate and I in the mornings.”

 

Hyacinth’s eyes grew large, “Really!” she exclaimed, “I will be the best horsewoman ever!”

 

Anthony laughed again and the pair took off at a slow trot out across the vast estate. 

 

Two hours later, the pair returned to the house and Hyacinth was bouncing with excitement, “MamaKate!” she announced, bouncing into the parlour where Kate was sitting with Eloise, “PapaAnt says that I can come riding with you in the mornings!”

 

Eloise scoffed and stood before leaving the room, she still was not comfortable with the casual way Hyacinth referred to Anthony and Kate as parents but had learned over the years to ignore the nicknames as she seemed to be the only sibling who felt that way.

 

“We went all the way to the low ridge,” Hyacinth continued, “And PapaAnt said I looked like a proper lady on my horse. Did you know I have my own horse now? She is called Diamond and she is beautiful!”

 

Kate smiled indulgently, “I did,” she replied, “I’m glad you like her. Now go on up and change out of your riding clothes and then your governess is waiting.”

 

Hyacinth rolled her eyes but skipped out of the room, still floating with happiness at the morning she had spent with her parents. 

 


 

“So, is Hyacinth really joining us in the morning?” Kate asked that evening as the couple relaxed after dinner, “Or has she done her usual trick of presenting it as a done deal before we can object?”

 

Anthony laughed into his glass of whisky, “A bit of both,” he admitted, “If we only have a short ride she will be fine with us. I can’t see it lasting longer than a week or so anyway, she won’t enjoy the time we go out.”

 

Kate laughed then, “That worked for Frannie,” she agreed, “Did you see the letter from her that arrived today?”

 

“I did,” Anthony smiled, “It is a shame she will not be joining us all for Christmas but it is quite a distance to travel, especially at this time of year. Did you speak with Eloise?”

 

“I don’t know how to go about approaching it,” Kate admitted, “If it was just Lord Fife she was opposed to it might be easier but I honestly don’t think she wishes to marry at all; this last season she hardly participated at all.”

 

Anthony sighed, “I suppose if she truly does not wish to marry it would be possible,” he admitted, “Her dowry would be sufficient to live on and we have a number of cottages that she could take over when she is a little older. I would make sure she is taken care of and I know Ben and Colin would do the same.”

 

“It just feels like she is giving up if she announces herself as a spinster now,” he continued after a short pause, “She is only twenty; she is hardly the eldest girl in town and she has a lot going for her. I did hope that seeing Daph, Penelope and Frannie marry it might help change her mind.”

 

“I don’t know if it had the opposite effect,” Kate pondered, “She has always set herself as Daphne’s opposite; seeing her flourishing as a Duchess might have hardened her position. I might talk with Penelope when she and Colin arrive for Christmas, see if Eloise has said anything to her.”

 

Anthony nodded, “Colin has written, they will be here from the first week of December so maybe we wait until they arrive.”

 


 

Kate frowned as she entered Anthony’s study a few weeks later, “Do you know where Hyacinth is?” she asked as Anthony looked up from his desk, “We were meant to be having tea with Eloise and she isn’t here.”

 

“I think I heard her mention something about going riding earlier,” Anthony replied, “Check with the stables, one of the grooms should be with her and there will be some kind of note of where they planned to go. They can’t have gone too far, she’s not that confident yet and at this time of year it is too wet to travel too far.”

 

Half an hour later Kate flew into the study again, “There are no grooms out on a ride,” she cried, “But Diamond is missing and the stable boys said that they saw Hyacinth taking her out this morning but she hasn’t come back. They thought one of us was meeting her and so didn’t think of saying anything to us. Looking at the time she took Diamond it is when I usually go on a morning ride but I decided it was too wet this morning.”

 

Anthony swore and stood, “I’ll saddle Thunder and start to check, the south side of the house would be a slightly better ride at this time of year so I’ll go that way first. If she comes back before I do then ride out that way and find me.”

 

Kate nodded and the two rushed down to the stables.

 


 

It was an hour later when Anthony caught a glimpse of Diamond, he tied the horse to a tree and started his search on foot. He soon came across the crumpled form of his youngest sister and ran to her side. The young girl was shivering and was half-conscious; her left arm at an odd angle to the rest of her body.

 

“Hy!” Anthony cried as he gathered her into his arms, “It’s OK, I’ve got you. PapaAnt’s here now, it’s all going to be fine.”

 

He managed to haul Hyacinth onto his horse and climbed up behind her, wrapping his arm around her waist as he pushed the horse the quickest way he could back to the house. 

 


 

Anthony sat at the side of Hyacinth’s bed as they waited for the doctor to arrive, the young girl had woken when Kate and a maid had taken her out of her riding habit and wrapped her in warmed linens and was now whimpering in pain as she sat in the bed with pillows propped around her.

 

“That arm is broken,” the doctor announced as he examined Hyacinth, “I will need to set the bones, Lord Bridgerton, can you?”

 

Anthony nodded and handed Hyacinth a leather strap, “Bite down on this,” he instructed as he turned her head towards him, “And keep your eyes on me. Do not look anywhere else but at my face. Do you understand Hy?”

 

Hyacinth nodded and clung to Anthony’s hand with her good hand, biting strongly on the strap as Anthony used his free hand to tilt her head and cover her eyes. He nodded at the doctor and leaned over towards Hyacinth to shield her from the sight.

 

Hyacinth screamed as the doctor manipulated her arm, she clung to Anthony’s hand as he ran his thumb along her forehead to sooth her. 

 

“Keep her warm to reduce the possibility of fever,” the doctor instructed, “And I have left some laudanum for her to take for the pain.”

 

“Laudanum,” Anthony repeated, “She is a child, is that safe?”

 

“In small doses yes,” the doctor replied, “I will be back in three days to check on the arm. If her fever spikes in the meantime, send for me.”

 


 

“I’ll sleep on the chair in her room tonight,” Anthony said as he and Kate had tea, “The doctor prescribed laudanum and I don’t want her to be on her own when she first takes it.”

 

Kate nodded, “I’ll send up two trays with dinner,” she promised, “And then we’ll sort out a rota to keep her entertained. Eloise is here so that helps and Colin and Penelope will be joining us in the next few days.”

 

“Penelope can’t go in until we are certain there is no fever,” Anthony stated, “I’ll speak to Colin when they arrive.”

 

Kate nodded, knowing it would be pointless to argue with Anthony about the pregnant Penelope entering Hyacinth’s room until they were certain the danger of a fever had passed. The spectre of their own dead baby, Anne, still hung over them when any fever was mentioned.

 


 

Colin ushered Penelope into the drawing room the following morning, “Where is everyone?” he asked Eloise who was sat frowning at her book.

 

“Hyacinth’s room,” Eloise replied, turning to her friend with a grin, “Anthony wants to speak to Colin so we can catch up, Pen!”

 

Penelope smiled and helped herself to the tea brought in by the butler, “George has started walking now,” she grinned, gushing to her friend about their son, “And he can say Mama and Papa.”

 

Colin slipped out of the room as the two women gushed over his son and made his way to Hyacinth’s room, frowning at the fact his brother was clearly camped out there, “Anth,” he said softly, standing at the open door not wishing to disturb the small girl who looked to be asleep, “Eloise said you wanted to speak when I arrived?”

 

Anthony nodded and waved Colin into the room, “She fell from a horse yesterday,” he offered by way of explanation, “It was hours before we realised she was out, her arm is broken and we’re watching for a fever.”

 

“So you want me to keep Pen out of the way,” Colin concluded, “At least until you know if she has a fever.”

 

Anthony nodded, “The doctor will be back in a few days and if he gives the all clear then Pen can come in but I don’t want to risk it before then.”

 

Colin nodded, “I know,” he smiled, “So, how bored is Hyacinth?”

 

Anthony laughed, “Not too much at the moment,” he replied, “She has been sleeping most of the time but give it a week and we’ll all be going mad!”

 


 

Penelope sat with Kate in the sun room of Aubrey Hall, her hand absently rubbing her now six-month baby bump. 

 

“You look well Penelope,” Kate smiled, “A lot better than last time around.”

 

“I feel it this time,” Penelope smiled, “You said that you wanted to speak with me about something? Is it about Hyacinth?”

 

“No,” Kate replied, easing Penelope’s worries, “It is about Eloise though.”

 

Penelope frowned and gestured for Kate to continue, “She has said a few things, about her wishes to never marry and after she rejected Lord Fife last season I just want to understand what she is thinking.”

 

Penelope nodded, “I can’t pretend to understand her fully but she has mentioned in several letters to me that she believes marriage will constrict her freedom and she worries that if she did marry, her husband would remove her from London and she would never see all of us again. She has complained several times that she does not see me as much as she would like now Colin and I have our own establishment.”

 

Kate sighed, “So it is marriage in general she is opposed to and not just Lord Fife,” she surmised, “Have you said anything to her?”

 

“Oh plenty,” Penelope nodded, “I have explained to her how I have so much more freedom now I am Mrs Bridgerton and how it would be the same for her but she has told me that Anthony allows her a lot of freedom and she would lose some rather than the other way around. I know my Mama is very particular and she forced my sisters and I to dance with every eligible man she could find but even Anthony puts limits on Eloise, I just don’t think she realises.”

 

“I would think the events of the last few years would show her how strict Anthony can be,” Kate commented drily, “I don’t know what to do, she is declaring herself a spinster at 20 and I don’t know how we can change that.”

 

“But marrying in your first season like Fran did is so rare now,” Penelope replied, “I was 20 when I married Colin and in my second season, Daphne was in her third when she married Simon. If you really think about it, Eloise has only had two seasons and she was courted by Lord Fife for the majority of her first.”

 

“That is true,” Kate nodded, “I will speak to her later, there must be some other reason behind her decision not to marry.”

 


 

Eloise was in the nursery entertaining her niece and nephews when Kate found her, they had constructed some kind of fort and Edmund was playing the role of brave knight protecting his sister and aunt from the dragons, also known as a barely toddling Miles and George. 

 

“Mama! Mama!” Edmund shouted as Kate entered the nursery, “You must help! The dragons will set the princesses on fire!”

 

“Oh really!” Kate laughed, “Well we can’t have that can we?”

 

“You hold this,” Edmund directed, passing Kate a wooden sword, “And I will stand here to protect Princess Auntie Eloise and you can protect Princess Charlotte.”

 

Eloise smiled at Kate as the other woman took a seat close to her own position, “And just how did this happen?” Kate asked with a grin.

 

“Penelope is with Hyacinth, trying to get her to do some translations so I volunteered to keep the babies entertained. I planned on reading to them but we started building a fort to sit in and things escalated from there.”

 

Kate laughed, “Miles and George will need a nap shortly,” she commented, “And I think Charlotte could benefit from one too; we won’t be here much longer. Can we have a talk when we have worn them out?”

 

“Of course,” Eloise smiled, “I have written out a new schedule for entertaining Hyacinth with Benedict arriving in a few days and Daphne and Simon soon after that.”

 

“Hopefully, the doctors will let her move around a little from next week,” Kate commented, “Even if it is just to sit in the parlour or the library with us all, she will feel a bit better.”

 

As soon predicted, the young children wore themselves out with the rambunctious game they had been playing and Eloise and Kate slipped out of the nursery heading to the parlour. 

 

“What did you want to discuss?” Eloise asked as she passed Kate the small plate of biscuits that they had been provided.

 

“It is a little delicate,” Kate began, “But I wanted to talk about your prospects and why you are not wishing to marry. I do not want to judge you Eloise,” she rushed, “But I do want to understand, if I understand then I can help you plead your case to Anthony if it is needed.”

 

Eloise sighed and sank back against the cushions slightly, “Truthfully, I do not know,” she said eventually, “I worry that if I do marry then I will end up with someone who will take me far away and I will never see any of  you again. We hardly ever see Daphne since she married and Frannie is over a week away. Even when we are all in town it isn’t the same. Penelope keeps telling me that it isn’t as bad as I am making out but I have not met anyone that I could imagine leaving you all for.”

 

“Eloise,” Kate sighed, “I didn’t know what I was getting myself into when I married Anthony, not really. I had some grand ideas of spending time with all of you and being your friend and getting to know Anthony better but I’m sure you remember how difficult those first few years were.”

 

Eloise smiled ruefully, “We really were horrors, weren’t we?” she laughed.

 

“You were grieving children,” Kate replied, “But what I was trying to say is not all of us have a great love story when we dance with a man in a ballroom and promenade with him around Hyde Park. You use the time to see if you get along, then you spend time together and things develop. I did not love Anthony when I married him and he will tell you the same; that came later. We developed a friendship, we had similar goals for our marriage and that was enough. I’m sure Daphne, Fran and Penelope will tell you the same thing.”

 

“But what about babies?” Eloise said in a small voice, “I can still hear the screams from when Mama had Hyacinth and when you had all of your babies. It sounds so scary, Mama died after she had Hyacinth; she was never the same after that. It is all well and good saying that you become friends with a man and then love might develop but I am terrified of what comes with having babies.”

 

Kate grasped Eloise’s hand, “I won’t lie to you,” she said softly, “Childbirth is not without its dangers but whomever you do marry will have sufficient funds to ensure you have the best medical care to prevent anything from going wrong. Anthony will make sure that whomever asks for your hand will have sufficient coin to keep you in the way you are used to and I will be with you when that time comes.”

 

The two women sat quietly for some time before Kate continued, “I am not telling you to run away with the first man who shows you any attention next season, I am just asking that you give it a chance. You are only 20 Eloise, you are hardly a spinster yet; do not write yourself off so soon.”

 

Eloise nodded, sniffing slightly, “Thank you Kate,” she whispered, “For actually listening to me. If I don’t find anyone, will you truly help me with Anthony?”

 

“Of course,” Kate promised, “I’ll always be on your side in this.”

 


 

In no time at all the Hastings carriage pulled up outside of Aubrey Hall, Simon exited first and held out his hand to help Daphne down before reaching in and lifting their two small girls to the floor. Both girls stood on their wobbly toddler legs before a nurse appeared to whisk them away to the nursery and their cousins. 

 

A few hours after the Hastings arrival, Benedict jumped from his curricle and before anyone could blink, Edwina, Nicholas and Mary arrived as well, completing the party for the Christmas season. 

 

At dinner that evening, the extended family planned the numerous activities they could now partake in, now that they were together. 

 

“I vote for Pall Mall,” Eloise stated, “Penelope, Nicholas and Simon still haven’t experienced it yet.”

 

“It is too wet for Pall Mall,” Anthony replied, “We would spend half the time underneath the trees for cover. It would need to be something inside, and something that Hyacinth can enjoy too.”

 

Eloise rolled her eyes, “Urgh, fine,” she grumbled, “Then Wit and Charades. And Snapdragon, obviously.”

 

Kate smothered her laugh as the siblings all shouted over one another to decide teams for charades, Edwina joining in as always. The Christmas season and its emphasis on family truly brought out both the best and worst in the siblings and Kate was always thrown back into the first Christmases she spent with Anthony and the family when she had first been married, a houseful of excited and competitive children all vying for Anthony’s attention and by the noises coming from the proper, grown and married voices around the table, this had not changed in the nine years since she had first encountered a Bridgerton Christmas. 

 

The next few weeks passed in a blur of visits, parlour games and feasts culminating in a ball for the family and tenants on twelfth night. 

 

“I have missed this,” Kate said to Anthony as they danced, “It is such a shame that Fran and John could not make the journey and Gregory is stuck at school”

 

“I know,” Anthony replied, “But they will have some merriment at school, and I trust that even in Scotland they celebrate Christmas.”

 

“Anthony,” Kate laughed, “You know full well that they do, stop acting like she has gone to some unknown land. We are going up to visit before the season starts, hopefully you will stop fussing then.”

 

Anthony simply rolled his eyes as he spun Kate in the dance, “You know I can’t help it,” he said as they returned to their positions.

 

Kate laughed, “And we will have two new babies to celebrate in the new year,” she added, “Our little family keeps growing.”

 

Later in the evening, the Bridgerton brothers, Simon and Nicholas found themselves in the smoking room, “Edwina is with child,” Nicholas grinned as the men all sat, “She is telling Kate tonight, I see that our child will be in good company in the nursery Colin.”

 

Colin grinned, “Daphne is with child too,” Simon added, “It looks as though we will all be in for a busy few months.”

 

“Penelope is due by March at the latest,” Colin commented, “I think we will have to leave for Farnley Lodge in the next few days if we are to beat the worst of this weather.”

 

“Don’t be so ridiculous,” Anthony commented, “You and Penelope will just stay here until after the birth. The roads back to Farnley Lodge will be simply impassable at present, it is safer if you both stay here and return to Farnley when the babe is a few months old.”

 

Colin took a large gulp of his brandy, “Thank you,” he whispered, “I will talk with Pen, but she will more than likely want her mother here when the time comes.”

 

Anthony visibly grimaced when thinking of his brother’s mother-in-law, “I’m sure I can cope,” he muttered, “For a short period of time.”

 

Benedict and Simon both swallowed laughs, knowing Portia Featherington’s character, “Daphne is due just before the start of the season,” Simon added, “I’m not sure if we will be participating this year.”

 

“Edwina is due around the same time,” Nicholas confirmed, “We will be in Oxford but I assume she will want Lady Bridgerton present.”

 

The men spent the rest of the evening talking about their various business interests and the recent Parliamentary session before rejoining the ladies. Anthony caught Colin’s arm as they exited the smoking room, “I meant it,” he said seriously, “You and Penelope should stay here until she has the baby. It is no trouble for us and you have mentioned that you wanted to carry out some maintenance at Farnley; take advantage and stay here.”

 

Colin nodded, “I think we will,” he nodded, “The roads getting here were bad enough, with the amount of rain we have had since they will be terrible. Are you sure we will not be imposing?”

 

“You will not be,” Anthony assured him, “Stay here, get your maintenance done before everyone returns to town and when Kate and I travel up to see Fran, you and Pen can either head back to Farnley or head to town.”

 

“Thank you Anth,” Colin smiled, “I’ll send for some extra trunks in the next few days and we will stay.”

 

A few days into the start of 1817, the majority of the guests left Aubrey Hall for their own establishments leaving behind promises of correspondences and visits when they all returned to London in a few months for the start of the next season. 

 

Notes:

So there we have 1816 😊 next, we are onto 1817 and three upcoming babies! Just in case it wasn’t clear, the Earl and Countess of Penwood we are introduced to here are not Sophie’s father and Araminta - the full relationship will become clear in further chapters when the relationship between her and Benedict develops. Araminta will feature and she will be just as horrid as she is in the books but she is not in control of Sophie’s life and prospects as she is in the books as she has not been left with custody.

The angst is back in full force in 1817 so be warned! I should hopefully have the next chapter up in the next few days, the main plot of 1817 is another one that I have had written for a while so it will be published quicker!