Actions

Work Header

A Luthor and Datingapps?! (english version)

Chapter 10: Especially when they're cute. 2/2

Chapter Text

"Jess, you know all about what's going on with this company, right?" Lena closed the glass door of her office behind Kara and looked at her assistant.

"Well, superficially yes, it's part of my job, after all. Why do you ask, Miss Luthor?" 

The CEO revealed a neat stack of sheets and Kara wondered when she had grabbed them out of her office.

"I'd like you to run the team meeting for me today," she said, slipping the sheets to Jess.

"B-but Miss Luthor..I can't represent you at all!" 

Kara's eyes grew wide, "Oh no, no! Lena, you don't have to reschedule, we can do it another time-" Lena's hand on her lower (!!) back silenced her instantly.
 ...Well, maybe she gave away a teeny, surprised "Oh!", but who was paying attention........no one had noticed, right?

 "Jess, I am convinced that you will represent me excellently. You are my personal and only assistant for a reason. You will be given the same respect as I will, so don't worry. You will find all the important issues that need to be addressed today in these documents. I'm counting on you."

 Lena smiled confidently at her.

Jess still smiled back a little uncertainly, but cleared her throat and said, "Of course, Miss Luthor. I can handle that. Thank you for your trust."

The black-haired woman nodded and led Kara down the floor to the elevators. She pressed the button on the private elevator and the two got inside.

Kara's nervousness made itself known again, "Th-Thank you for rearranging your schedule just for me, Lena. That was really...nice." She smiled at Lena, who grinned at the blonde as well.

 Ugh, Lena's hand on her back really didn't make it any easier for Kara to get her pulse down to normal. But she didn't want her to take it away either. It felt so nice and warm. ....Somehow safe.

Lena continued to look at her without saying anything. Kara looked down into her green eyes. And again...time seemed to stand still. She noticed that Lena had little golden speckles in her eyes that almost seemed to glitter in the light. Simply beautiful. 

Only when she felt Lena's breath on her cheek did she realize how close they had gotten.

She instinctively took a step back even if she regretted it the next moment as Lena let her hand slide off her back.

 
"Sorry Kara, your eyes are just....really mesmerizing. I..sorry, that was probably a little close, wasn't it?" Lena gave a short laugh.

"Oh, no it's all right. You don't have to apologize, really." Kara quickly shook her head and smiled back at her, but stopped herself from taking Lena's hand at the last moment to support her statement. She wasn't the only one lost in the eyes of the other woman, apparently.

"Okay." Lena couldn't stop smiling. 'What's wrong with you, she'll think you're a complete idiot. Stop it.'

As long as Kara looked at her like that.... she just couldn't help it. Why should she, the moment was wonderful. She had never felt so...happy? Lena didn't know if it was the word she was looking for. The fact was that it felt good.

To be here with Kara.

Face to face.

All by herself. Just her and this pretty blonde....

 

A clearing of a throat interrupted her flow of thoughts.

 

"Um, Ms. Luthor? Aren't you going to push a button?" Jess's head appeared in the elevator doorway.

Both women looked at Lena's assistant, startled, as if they'd just been caught doing something.

"Oh, yes of course." the black-haired woman replied, pressing the button for the ground floor. The doors closed and Kara grinned slyly at them.

"Oops."

 "Yes. Oops." They both laughed.

Lena let Kara lead the way as the elevator announced it had reached the ground floor with a soft 'pling' and the doors opened again.

"Oh." Kara smiled and walked ahead of Lena through the foyer towards the exit.

'Seems I still have manners, so that' s good to know. Keep it up,' Lena thought.

She ignored the little devil on her shoulder who whispered in her ear that she had only used the excuse to look at Kara's butt. Although it was hard to ignore the obvious fact that she had Kara's backside right in front of her. Especially because Kara had quite a swingy stride. 

'Was she doing that on purpose?' Lena dismissed that thought right away, Kara was way too innocent.

Well...

She immediately had to think about their exchange of pictures again.

'Maybe I'm wrong.' she thought and couldn't suppress a small grin.

This time it was Kara who held open the door to L-Corp and let Lena go through first. They both grinned at each other, as if they just couldn't do anything else when they looked at one another.

 

"So, do you have some favorite cafe we want to head to?" Kara joined Lena, who had already stepped onto the sidewalk in front of the building. She would go anywhere with her, that was for sure.

"Hmm, do you know Noonan's? Want to go there?"

Almost anywhere.

"Oh..uh, I think it's pretty crowded there at this time of day and um..all the students are probably really loud. You know, young teens and such..." Kara laughed tensely, her brain working at full speed to give Lena a good alternative to Noonan's. Under no circumstances did she want Lena's and her first date to become some sort of 'double date' just because James and Winn were going to join them sooner or later. She knew they were going to be there all day today because 
 
a) there were 4 doughnuts for the price of 2 today (while supplies lasted and they ordered the doughnuts to eat there not for takeout) and

b) their friends had decided to do some highly focused brainstorming to help Kara's 'rusty love life' get going - Winn's words. They were apparently really desperate about their game night.

 

And Kara knew they were going to freak out and Lena would've been her 'date' for the longest time because the guys wanted to be on their best behavior and it was very likely to go very wrong. Kara knew them, after all.

Besides, she already kind of wanted Lena to herself. Sorry not sorry.

"Um...okay." Lena laughed briefly at Kara's statement, but didn't think any longer about why she had made that decision. "Where do you want to go then?"

"Well, how about the park? I know there's a sweet old man there from time to time with his stand selling the best hot chocolate I've ever had!" 'Wow, that wasn't even a lie AND a really good plan B.' Kara praised herself.

"Does he sell coffee by any chance?"


"Yeah."


"Well, let's go then.", Lena beamed at her and the two walked side by side towards the park.

They chatted about all sorts of things on their short walk to the park.

Lena's work, Kara's studies, their shared love for food and for sports, Alex, Maggie, ...yes really about everything.

"...And then I said I'd really like to help out at one of the booths at the charity run this weekend. After all," Kara pulled up her shoulders with a laugh, playfully apologetic, "I really love food. And sharing it with people, or giving them the boost of energy they need during the run only makes me happier."
 

Lena laughed when they reached the 'sweet old' man's booth and said, "You're generally a very happy person, aren't you?" She looked at the blonde from the side, who studied the drink menu in detail and nodded her head affirmatively.

"Alex calls me jolly all the time, and I think that sums it up pretty well, doesn't it?" The black-haired woman twisted her lips into an approving smile and gave an almost whispered, "Yes, that sums it up very well."

Kara turned her head and looked at her for a fraction of a second, surprised, but then very much in love.

'Hold on..in love? Lena, don't jump to conclusions.', Lena blinked rapidly to clear the thought from her mind.

She cleared her throat, "And what are you taking? It's on me."

 "Oh, no Lena, you don't have to-"

"I insist." She looked at the blonde.

"...Hmm, all right, I'd like a hot chocolate with coconut flakes on the cream. Please. Thank you." Kara's grin almost made Lena laugh again herself. 

"Aye, aye, captain. You want to find us a free bench or something?" 

"Aye, aye, Captain." Kara saluted and kept an eye out for a place for them to sit.

Lena laughingly ordered for the two of them, and as she paid and turned around, Kara waved at her from a bench almost directly next to the long mud run.

"Well you sure picked a nice spot. I'm looking forward to this run." The black-haired woman handed Kara her cocoa and took a sip of her iced coffee.

Kara, already downing her hot cocoa as if it was water, choked and had to cough.

"You...you're participating in the run?"

"Yeah, sorry I forgot to mention that earlier when you were talking about it."

The blonde wiped some cocoa off her chin with a tissue. "Oh, it's no big deal. I'm just gleefully surprised that we'll see each other there eventually." She beamed at Lena.

"Sure I'll see you around, I'm looking forward to you providing me with 'the energy boost I need', ha!" She grinned and punctuated her statement by flexing one arm in Popeye fashion. She didn't know where she got this utter self-confidence, but she topped it off by tensing the other arm as well, carefully, so as not to spill her coffee, moving it into the same position.

"...Oh man, that was really stupid now wasn't it?" She looked at the blonde, who followed her short performance silently, but with a surprised look.

Lena's cheeks got hot and she felt how embarrassed she was getting because Kara still didn't say anything.

Kara snorted and laughed out loud. Lena joined in with relief. 

"You're quite something!", Kara said between several laughs. 

"She's actually pulling my leg there, what do I think of that..." she said more to herself, smiling and winking at Lena.


She was glad Kara didn't think she was completely stupid and her cheek color returned to normal. "Sorry, but when you give me a pitch like that..."

"You're welcome." Kara was still laughing and shook her head.

"You know, for someone who runs an entire company by herself, you're pretty grounded. Not that I expected anything different, I just wanted to tell you."

Lena had never looked at it that way before. Never thought of herself that way. She always assumed that all the other corporate bosses were just arrogant snobs to the core. She had never considered that their job alone could have made them that way.

Perhaps because it had never been the case with her. Her mother, after all, was also an obnoxious person, without having had any really outstanding, professional successes.


"Thank you, Kara. I think it's nice that you think of me that way." She looked deep into Kara's eyes and smiled, trying to really get her gratitude across sincerely.

The blonde returned her gaze. And again, it was as if they were completely alone.

 
As few words as they had exchanged moments before, they now seemed to say as much to each other with their eyes. Both felt absolutely at ease.
Lena's gaze wandered briefly - just very briefly - to Kara's mouth, which was slightly open.
She had to swallow and looked for confusion in Kara's eyes..or permission.
The blonde's eyes couldn't have been warmer and as Kara leaned forward and brought her face closer to Lena's, she could see that her pupils seemed to have grown larger, almost as if she were feeling the same desire as Lena.

She let her hand slide off the bench toward Kara's and paused for a second before lowering it to her hand without ever taking her eyes off Kara.

Lena almost didn't notice how Kara quietly and quickly sucked in the air and how her pupils enlarged a bit more.


Almost.

As close as she was to her face by now, the suction of air and the change in Kara's eyes just didn't escape her.

And she noticed how it just fluttered in her chest. It felt warm and cold at the same time, but not in a bad way.

She didn't know why they had gotten so close again so quickly but she also didn't care at all.
Kara's tongue licking over her lips in a split second made her stop thinking.

Stop breathing.

Stop smelling anything except the light, sweet smell of chocolate coming from Kara's lips.

Stop hearing anything except the blonde's steadily quickening breath.


Almost simultaneously, both women leaned towards each other and Lena's chest seemed about to explode. She heard a soft, eager whimper from Kara and it broke her resistance.

She lightly but demandingly gripped the back of Kara's head and reached into her hair while pulling herself even closer. She felt Kara's hand at her waist. She pulled too, almost dragged, to close the distance.

Lena lifted her head a bit to finally be able to touch Kara's lips with her own, and Kara opened her mouth a bit more-.


 

"Miss, excuse me. Miss."

 

The pair practically jumped apart, that's how caught they both felt.

The old man from the refreshment booth stood in front of them, smiling cautiously.
"Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you. I just saw you sitting down here and I noticed you didn't give me a chance to give you your change back. Here you go." He handed the completely perplexed black-haired woman several banknotes and some coins. Lena accepted it with her mouth open.


"That's it, have a wonderful day both of you!"

As quickly as the man had come, he was gone again, leaving the two perplexed ladies behind.

Lena looked, first at the money in her hand and then at Kara. "I..." She didn't even know what she wanted to say. "You...so that..." She wondered if she was ever capable of speaking reasonably again.

Kara felt the same way, she blinked and took a deep breath. The blush on her cheeks remained, however.

"Yeah so...I um..." she laughed. At herself and at what had just happened.
" Do you wanna go for a walk? I think the wind might do us some good right now." She smiled, stood up and held out her hand to Lena.

Lena cleared her throat and took it. "Yes. Yes, you might have a point."
She also took a deep breath and her head cleared up a bit.

God, what had just happened? Or almost happened?


'Well,' Lena thought as she and Kara walked along the park path that was still passable. 

'I guess some women you just can't resist very easily.'

 

'Especially when they're cute,' Ms. Grant's sentence echoed in her ears.