Actions

Work Header

Injured

Summary:

Snap hates that he never gets time with Alys. He just got back from a mission only to have her called away in the middle of the night; and when she misses her check in, well he doesn’t know how to contain the anxiety. He can’t stand the thought of losing her.

Notes:

Dramatis Personae:
Resistance Pilots:
Temmin “Snap” Wexley, Human male
Jessika Pava, Human female
Wynesa “Ace” Antilles, Human female
Jayms Rook, Human male

Resistance Intelligence:
Alys Esme, Human female
Amye Jools, Chalactan female
Brill Tannyr, Human male
Cris Cloudcryer, Human male
Merek Jossen, Kiffar male
Nathai “Nat” Verin, Kiffar female

Others:
Gil Eldar, Human male, Bounty hunter

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Work Text:

D’Qar, 30 ABY

 

Snap groaned. Who would be comming at this hour? Glancing down, he was glad to see Alys was still sleeping. She was curled up against his chest, hair half obscuring her face, an ankle tangled in his; he loved her like this. The comm changed tone and she made a soft noise, rolling over. The noise continued and she whined when she couldn’t get free of his embrace. He gave a brief squeeze before releasing her.

Her conversation was hushed and short. Alys sat on the edge of the bed and rubbed her eyes before making her way to the ‘fresher. She came out several minutes later wearing a blast vest. Snap rose up on an elbow and she kissed his forehead. “Go back to sleep,” she said. “Agent Lynd has got herself into some trouble with Mandalorians. They think I can help.” 

“Be careful.” He sat up to cup her face in his hands and gave her a lingering kiss.

“I’ll be back before you know I’m gone. Now sleep. You just got back from a long mission.” She left, pulling out her datapad.

Snap sighed and laid back against the pillows. They never seemed to catch a break, always running from one mission to the next. He had returned - according to the chrono - just four hours ago from a week’s long mission and they had done little more than collapse in each other’s arms and now Alys was off again for who knows how long. Rolling over, he breathed in the scent of her shampoo lingering on the pillow.



Snap stood under the shower spray. He had been looking forward to spending time with Alys but instead woke up face down in her pillow with a stiff neck. Wrapping a hand around himself, he sighed; this would have to do until he saw her again. It wasn't her fault she got called away. Feeling as satisfied as he was going to get, he turned off the shower and made his way to the mess hall. 

It was less crowded than he expected, which meant he didn't have to wait for caf. He stood at the machine and drank half a mug before noticing the second mug with a sugar spoon sticking out of it. He must have made some for Alys without realizing it. What was he going to do with it now? She took her caf much sweeter than he liked. Sighing, he carried it over to the sink.

“Aren’t you supposed to be drinking that?” 

Snap jumped at Jess’s question and splashed hot caf over his fingers. “I made one for Alys but it's too sweet for me.”

Jess made a gimmie motion at the mug. She shrugged after taking a sip. “It's a little sweet but I'll drink it. We don't want to waste the caf,” she said with a laugh.

Snap shook his head. Refilling his mug, he grabbed a tray and made his way to an empty table. He was a little surprised when Jess sat across from him.

“So where is Alys? Didn't she meet you on the landing field last night?” She asked around a mouthful of food.

“Got called away in the middle of the night,” he said.

“At least you saw her. My girl is out on her own mission.” Jess frowned into the caf mug.

Snap reached across the table to give her shoulder a comforting squeeze. “I’m sure she’s okay.” 

Jess gave him a small smile. “I’m sure Alys is okay too.”

They ate in comfortable silence until Snap’s comm beeped. He needed to get to the command center for debrief. 



The sun was high overhead when Snap stepped out onto the tarmac and his stomach rumbled. Debrief had taken longer than normal since there was a lengthy report from the extended mission but the General seemed pleased at the intel they gathered and gave Blue Squad a couple days off.

He caught sight of his sister crossing the landing field and hurried to catch up to her. 

“You're back!” She exclaimed and launched herself at him.

He wrapped an arm around her shoulders and squeezed her to his chest. “Hey, Ace,” he said with a laugh. “Want to grab some food?”

“I was starting to get worried. You were gone so long and even Alys didn't know where you were,” she said and hurried to match his strides.

“Well I'm back and everything went smooth. A milk run,” he said with a wink.

“Where is Alys?” She peered around. “I thought she'd make time to eat with you.”

“Got called away in the middle of the night.” He frowned.

“That sucks but means you might actually listen to me instead of making moon-eyes at her,” she singsonged. “You guys are really too cute. It's gross.” She made a gagging noise.

“Ace,” he said, a little exasperated. “Why didn't you tell me it bothered you?”

She stopped and put her hands on her hips. “It makes you happy. Why would I want that to stop? It's not like you're acting like Cris or Nat and Merek. It's not like I actually catch you making out …”

Snap laughed and she broke off. “Okay, okay but seriously let me know if it gets out of hand.”

“Temmin Wexley. Do you really think Alys would let it ‘get out of hand?’”

Snap sighed. He missed Alys and wished she was here. “Of course not. Now tell me what you've been up to.”

He followed her into the mess hall which was significantly more crowded at the mid-day hour and they struggled to find a table. Snap smiled when he saw Jess and her girlfriend almost sitting in each other's laps; at least someone got to spend time with their partner. 

“So, tell me what you've been up to,” he prompted when they finally found seats.

She chattered away about her new sim scores, exasperation at some of the new recruits she was training, and something Jogar did that he didn't quite get but made Ace laugh so hard she could barely tell the story. 

She hurried off soon after they finished eating to get some sim time in with her squad. Snap put their trays away and looked around the slowly emptying mess hall for his squad. Yolo was engrossed in conversation with several mechanics, Tallie and Paige were kissing in a corner, and Jess had disappeared. He was at loose ends. 

Wandering back out onto the landing field, he crossed into the hangar, intent of giving his ship a tune up. He spent most of the afternoon going over the ship and even did a cursory check on the rest of the squad’s ships, just in case they were called out again. 



Twilight was gathering when he noticed Agents Jools and Tannyr leaving the command center. Their faces were set in hard lines. Snap could tell something was going on and he immediately jumped to the worst case scenario. “What happened?” He hurried to catch up to them.

Jools glanced at Tannyr. “Have you heard from Captain Esme?” She asked.

Snap checked his comm. No messages. “What happened?” The panic starting to grow in his tone.

“Esme missed her check in,” Tannyr said.

“How long ago?” Snap knew it was a stupid question as soon as the words left his mouth. Alys never missed a check in. Once she had even commed during a shoot out.

“About four hours,” Jools said.

Snap’s entire body twitched. “What?! What are we going to do?” His voice was rising.

“We have to wait a little longer,” Jools said soothingly. “We can’t keep throwing agents into an unknown situation.”

“I’ll go,” Snap said. “I’ll do long range reconnaissance on the planet. Just tell me where she is.”

“Wexley -” Tannyr put a heavy hand on his shoulder - “Esme wouldn’t want you to do anything reckless. If anyone can get out of a situation with Mandalorians, it’s her.”

Snap was having trouble processing. Why didn’t anyone want to do anything? Alys was obviously in trouble. She would rip apart planets if he was this late checking in. He had to find a way to help her. 

“But if we don’t hear anything in six hours, I’m going after her - with or without permission,” Tannyr continued.

“I’ll pilot for you,” Snap said.

The two men shook on it. 

“You’ll let me know the minute she makes contact?” Snap asked Jools.

“Of course,” she said. “I suggest you two get some rest.”



Snap tried to follow Jools’s advice, he had to be sharp just in case he needed to rescue Alys. He ended up tossing and turning, clutching her pillow, imagining all of the horrible things that might be happening. He finally gave up trying to sleep at 0100 hours and walked to the command center. 

“Did you hear anything?” He asked Cris Cloudcryer who was stationing the agent comms overnight.

“Nothing yet.” Cris gave him a sympathetic smile.

Snap wandered over to Alys’s desk. It was hard to tell it was hers, there were almost no personal touches, just a worn datapad he knew she had since forever. It scared him how easy it would be to erase her entire existence. He rubbed his eyes. She had to be okay.

“I could help distract you,” Cris said.

“What?” Snap frowned.

“You know, take your mind off of things for a bit, Cuddles.” He made a gesture between them.

Snap glared. What made Cloudcryer think that he would ever be interested in … in his advances and especially now that Alys might not make it back? He turned on his heel and strode out onto the dark landing field.

It was why he was the first to see the strange ship break atmosphere. There were no sirens, so it must be transmitting the proper codes, but it wasn’t any ship he had seen before and it looked like it was cobbled together from old Clone War era ships.

The ramp lowered and a giant of a man walked out carrying a bundle. It wasn’t until he stepped into the light did Snap see the braid hanging over his arm and his heart skipped a beat. Please don’t let that be Alys. Med staff ran past him with a hover-cot and the giant laid the bundle down. It didn’t move. 

“No. Please,” Snap whispered to himself when the light caught the red hair. It was Alys. He took off at a run. “Is she okay?” He grabbed the arm of the nearest med staff.

“Sir, you need to stay out of the way.”

“Please. Is she okay?” They continued to ignore him and he was almost hit by a second hover-cot carrying Agent Lynd. 

The chaos had come and gone in seconds and Snap was left standing alone on the tarmac. He turned to find the man who had brought them in, hoping for answers, but Jorrus was leading him away. He hesitated for a moment, deciding who to follow before his heart told him and he strode off to the med center.

When he arrived, they could only tell him that they were working on getting Alys stable and that he could not see her. He sat heavily on the waiting room couch. He wasn’t leaving until he knew she was okay.



He didn’t remember falling asleep or Ace showing up but she was asleep under his arm.

“Sir?” A nurse - Clar he thought her name was - said. “Captain Emse is stable.”

“Can I see her?” He interrupted.

“She’s going to be in bacta treatments for a couple more hours,” Clar said with a shake of her head. “She's not awake yet. I suggest you get something to eat and maybe sleep in an actual bed. We will comm when you can see her.”

“What happened to Alys?” Ace sleepily asked and pushed herself upright. 

“She has a collapsed lung and we think concussion but she is going to be fine.” Clar started to walk away but turned back to repeat her recommendation to eat and sleep.

“When did you get here?” Snap asked his sister.

“You don’t remember?”

“Cris commed me to say Alys was back and that you were in the med center and probably shouldn't be alone.” She rubbed her eyes and yawned. “I knew it was serious when you barely recognized me.”

“Thanks for being here.” He squeezed her into a side hug.

“I’m going to comm the others. They’ll want to know Alys is going to be okay.” She moved off to send the messages.

Snap leaned forward on his elbows and rubbed his eyes. He needed to see Alys. They said she was okay but he wouldn’t believe it until he saw her. 

Ace came to stand in front of him. “You need to take care of yourself, if you’re going to look after Alys.”

He shook his head and sat back, unwilling to leave. Ace sighed and returned to sit next to him, wrapping his arm back around her. She always seemed to know what he needed and right now he needed to hold someone. They sat together in silence watching the nurses change shifts over the next half an hour.

“We brought you guys some food,” Nat Verin announced. Her husband, Merek Jossen, and Cris followed close behind. Passing out trays of food, they settled in every available seat in the waiting room. 

“Now who needs caf?” Cris asked. He counted the number of nods. “Would the lovely Wynesa help me?” He gave Snap’s sister a wink. 

She rolled her eyes but rose to follow him to the caf machine at the far end of the room. 

Snap watched as Ace slapped at Cris’s hand creeping around her waist. “Why does he do that?” Snap asked aloud. “Last night he even suggested that he and I …” He shook his head.

“I’m sorry about him,” Merek said with a sigh. “He flirts out of habit to keep his mind off the negative things and letting them cloud his judgment.”

“He doesn’t mean any harm,” Nat added. “He really looks up to Captain Esme and he was so worried about her not checking in.”

Snap sighed and shook his head. Alys seemed to think Cris was a good agent but they both didn't understand his flirtations. At least he wasn't awful about it like Rook.

“What are you guys talking about?” Ace asked and handed Snap a steaming cup of caf.

“Just how worried we all are,” Nat said. The others didn’t contradict her.

Snap started to eat but didn’t taste any of it and let Ace answer their questions about how Alys was doing. 

“How did they get back?” Ace asked, setting her tray aside. “Was it in that awesome ship?”

Cris nodded. “Agent Lynd sent a message saying they needed immediate medical assistance and that they were in a different ship. Something about her tone made me realize it was serious and to ignore the usual protocol.”

“Is she okay too?” Nat asked.

“Yes. She was discharged hours ago and gave a debrief directly to the General. It helped get Gil out of the brig,” Cris explained. 

“Gil?” Snap asked.

“The guy that brought them back. I think he had a hand in keeping Captain Esme alive,” Cris said.

Ace put a comforting hand on Snap’s arm when he twitched.

“You guys are making too much noise,” Clar said from the doorway. “You really have to go. I will comm the minute you’re allowed to see Captain Esme.”

Snap glared at the others for getting him kicked out. “I'm going to stay but you guys have to go.”

“Tem,” Ace started softly after sharing a look with Nat, “I know you're worried but you can't do anything.” She tugged on his arm but he refused to stand and his weight advantage meant she couldn't make him.

“Don't you all have shifts to get to?” Snap tried another tactic to get them to leave.

“I just got off,” Cris said.

“We’re going to help Jools but it's still a little early,” Merek said.

“Good try Tem,” Ace said. “You won't get rid of us that easily. Even if I was supposed to be in the sims ten minutes ago,” she added quietly.

“You know better than to be late for things Ace,” Snap scolded gently.

“My squad will have to deal. I couldn't just leave you,” she said.

“You could talk to Gil,” Nat suggested. “He might be able to tell you what happened.”

Snap blinked at her several times before nodding. “Where is he?”

“Promise you'll rest after?” Ace asked.

He agreed with no intent of following through. He would talk to this Gil and then he was coming back here to wait.



The ship’s interior was dark and well worn. There were crates stacked along one wall and what looked like an arsenal of every imaginable blaster on the other. Walking down the narrow corridor, Snap noticed several bunks in disarray. Kicking something, he bent down and picked up the soft item. It was Alys’s blast vest, he recognized the different colored ribbons holding the left side together. His eyes went wide when he noticed the hole and fresh scorch marks. Clutching it tightly, he continued to follow the sounds of pounding deeper into the ship.

He reached, what looked like a galley converted into a workshop, and sat on one of the benches to watch the giant of a man work. This had to be Gil. He was tall, taller than Snap, and all muscle. His arms would flex and bulge with every strike of the hammer. His hair was graying and he had a large scar running across his face and disappearing behind an eye patch. 

“You must be Snap,” Gil said without turning around. “Al’ika is always talking about you.”

“They say she's going to be okay but I haven't seen her yet.” Snap wasn't sure why he was sharing.

“I didn't think you'd be here if she wasn't okay,” Gil said and continued to hammer at something.

Snap’s curiosity got the better of him and he moved closer. It was a vest of some kind, like a reinforced blast vest. “What are you making?”

“Something Rook should have done years ago. This will prevent things like that from happening.” He gestured to the vest Snap was still holding.

“She's not Mando. She doesn't deserve that armor.” Jayms Rook had snuck up behind them and spewed his hate.

Snap saw red and dropped the vest. Only Gil’s strong hand on his shoulder prevented him from charging Rook.

“Al’ika is twice the Mando you are, whether she formally joins or not,” Gil said calmly, still holding Snap back. “Now get off my ship. If I hear even a rumor you’re harassing her again, I will pronounce you dar’manda and so will your clan.”

Rook glared but left. There were crashing noises and swearing. Snap guessed he kicked a crate over on his way out.

“What does dar’manda mean?” Snap stumbled over the unfamiliar word.

“No longer Mandalorian. Disowned by family and clan. It’s the worst thing that could happen to a Mando. It should have been done ages ago.”

“How is Alys more Mando? How do you know her?” Snap was feeling overwhelmed all of a sudden.

“Sit down.” Gil pushed on his shoulder to get him to sit on the bench. “I don’t need someone else passing out on my ship.”

Snap sat and took several slow breaths. Gil went back to hammering the vest into the proper shape. 

“I first met Al’ika just after the New Republic moved to Nakadia. She was so young and fierce. I’ve been supplying her information, odds and ends I pick up, ever since.” Gil rubbed the back of his neck. “She’s like the daughter I never had; been asking to adopt her for years. She seems to think she would need to change to be Mando but she’s perfect the way she is. It would be a way I could take care of her.”

“She doesn’t like to accept help.” 

Gil let out a booming laugh. “That she does not.” He sobered up. “It’s probably why I didn’t notice something was wrong until she collapsed.”

“What happened?”

“She walked right into a trap. That Lynd is an idiot and tried to infiltrate a Death Watch squad on her own. It’s a good thing I keep an eye on what those radicals are doing.” Gil paused to smooth out some of the metal of the vest. “Al’ika had already got Lynd free when I got there.” He whistled. “She always was a good with explosives but I think this time she was a little too close.”

“Is that how she got the concussion?” 

“That would make sense.” Gil nodded. “They were in the middle of a shoot out. I still don’t know how she managed to use the rifle while in binders.” He shook his head and kicked at the sawed apart binders on the floor. “I set down between them but I couldn’t completely cover them from the jet packs. 

“I didn’t even realize she was hit until I found her collapsed when we reached hyperspace. She wasn’t breathing right.” Gill rubbed his eye. “I thought I was going to lose her. Had to shake the base location out of Lynd.” He shook his head. “That child has never been in combat before and was in hysterics.”

“Thanks for getting her back safe.”

“I’m going to give you the same warning I gave Rook. Al’ika loves you and I will hunt you down if you hurt her.” Gil came to stand over Snap and clapped him good naturally on the shoulder. “You give this to her.” He pressed the vest into his hands. “It will keep her safe.”

“You’re not going to give it to her yourself?”

“I’ve been away too long. Look for me on Takodana and remember what I said,” he finished with a significant look.

Snap disembarked the ship clutching the vest. He shielded his eyes and watched Gil break atmosphere. He was glad Alys had someone looking out for her. Making his way back to the med center, he hoped that they would let him see her.



Soft fingers running through his hair woke Snap up. It took a minute to figure out where he was. Clar had snuck him in and let him sit with Alys but he must have fallen asleep hunched over the cot. 

“Snap?” Alys croaked.

“I’m right here.” He moved the fingers from his hair and kissed them. “You’re safe, back on base.”

“My chest hurts.”

“Let me get the doctor.” 

She tightened her grip on his fingers. “No. Don’t go.”

“Okay, okay.” He sat back down and kissed her forehead.

“What happened?”

“You had a collapsed lung and a concussion. Gil brought you back.”

Alys frowned like she wasn’t processing.

Snap traced the bruising the binders left around her wrist. “I was so worried,” he confessed. “When you missed the check in I wanted to go out there and find you.”

“I thought I wasn’t gonna …. See you again … Can you hold me?” Her eyes filled with tears. 

He wanted nothing more than to hold her forever. He carefully climbed into the narrow cot, trying not to jostle her but she still hissed in pain and he pressed kisses to her temple. Finally, she was tucked under his arm and relaxed. 

“You’re safe now,” he whispered and kissed her forehead. “Just rest. I’m not going anywhere.”

Her breathing was still a little labored but she fell back asleep almost immediately.

He didn’t know what he would do if he lost Alys. This scare had made him realize how much she really meant to him and he was going to find a way to show it, but for now it was enough just to hold her. 

 

 

Notes:

This is set in a Happy AU of the sequel trilogy with parts of the original trilogy and Star Wars legends included.

Since this is AU, there are some minor changes, mostly to the Sequel Trilogy events, using information from Before the Awakening by Greg Rucka. Instead of Lieutenant Muran dying when his starfighter is caught in the Yissiria Zyde's hyperspace wave he is only injured. This still results in Rapier Squad (with Muran) leaving the Republic to join the Resistance.

Events of The Last Jedi are also altered. The Resistance manages to evacuate D'Qar without losing the bombers and most of the starfleet. They are caught by the First Order over Crait. The bridge is still attacked but not as bad. This means Leia and Ackbar are badly injured but live and Holdo is put in temporary command. Poe still tries to mutiny and they do get into the escape pods but instead of using the Holdo Maneuver on the Supremacy, she rams the ship to disable it and give time for The Echo of Hope (the starcruiser mentioned in Before the Awakening) to reenforce them. Everyone lives and manages to escape Crait.

Events of The Rise of Skywalker are only altered to allow Snap Wexley, Leia, and almost everyone to survive the Battle of Exegol.

Series this work belongs to: