Actions

Work Header

They Need You More

Summary:

Ducky nodded and babbled against Sapnap’s neck. The Caregiver disappeared into the bathroom and Karl retreated to his room. Ducky was in Babyspace, which meant he’d need a lot more attention and help. Karl didn’t want to pull their Caregivers’ attention away from him because of a stupid stomach ache and a tiny headache. Someone knocked on his door.

Notes:

Did I try to sleep, but my ADHD said "no, we're gonna type and post this story?"

Yes. Yes, it did.

Work Text:

Karl woke up with a pounding headache and a horribly churning stomach. His whole body ached and every time he tried to turn over, his muscles protested and his head pulsed. He groaned and carefully pushed himself up against the headboard. He was glad he’d put water and some Advil by the bed when he’d felt off last night. He took two Advil and downed the entire glass of water. It took fifteen minutes for the meds to kick in. He still felt hazy and sore, but well enough to make the trek to the bathroom and get ready. As he was heading back to his room, he bumped into Sapnap.

“Oh, hey. I was just coming to wake you up. You feeling okay?” the other asked.

Karl opened his mouth to say that he was feeling sick, but he was cut off by a sharp cry from Quackity’s room. Sapnap went in and picked up the Little, who shoved his thumb into his mouth. Sapnap cooed and replaced the thumb with a paci.

“What’s wrong, Ducky? Did you have a bad dream?”

The Little nodded and tucked his face into Sapnap’s neck, whining.

“How old are you feeling, baby?” Ducky held up one finger. “Oh, very Little, huh? Okay, let Daddy get you into a diaper, yeah?”

Ducky nodded and babbled against Sapnap’s neck. The Caregiver disappeared into the bathroom and Karl retreated to his room. Ducky was in Babyspace, which meant he’d need a lot more attention and help. Karl didn’t want to pull their Caregivers’ attention away from him because of a stupid stomach ache and a tiny headache. Someone knocked on his door.

“Come in!” he called.

The door opened and Dream walked in, smiling at him. “Hey. Ready for breakfast? We’re just having cereal because both Ducky and Mushroom are in Babyspace.”

“M’kay. I’ll be down in a sec,” Karl replied, voice hoarse.

“You okay?” Dream asked, frowning as he leaned against the doorframe. “You sound kinda sick.”

Karl cleared his throat and nodded. “I’m alright. Just tired.”

“Okay.” Dream watched as Karl shifted out of bed and stood up, wobbling a bit before heading downstairs.

When they got to the kitchen. Both Ducky and Mushroom were babbling as they ate their cereal. They both perked up when Karl and Dream walked in, reaching out for the two. Dream kissed both of their cheeks, but Karl went to the kitchen to make himself breakfast. He made himself a bowl of Cheerios with no milk, because he wasn’t sure his stomach could handle either his typical sugary cereals or the heavy, coating feeling of the milk. Sapnap noticed.

“Just plain Cheerios? Are you not feeling Little, sweetheart?”

Karl just shook his head and shoveled a spoonful of dry cereal into his mouth.

“Are you sure?” Dream asked. “Cause you can be Little, too. It’s not a big deal.”

“I know. Just don’t feel like it.”

Sapnap nodded, feeding Mushroom another bite of Lucky Charms. “Okay. You feelin’ alright? You look a little pale.”

“M fine. Just have a bit of a headache. I already took something to help.”

Both Caregivers nodded and Karl was grateful for their blind acceptance. He did kind of wish they’d see through his lies and half-truths. But that would be selfish of him. His brothers needed their Caregivers more. He didn’t want to be selfish just because he wasn’t feeling good. When breakfast was over, they crowded into the family room and watched Cocomelon. Karl curled up on the armchair, not wanting to get any of them sick. A couple episodes into the show, his stomach churned dangerously and he stood up abruptly, causing all his friends’ eyes to snap to him.

“I-I’m gonna go take a nap,” he told them, then left before they could ask questions.

He went back to his room, pulling his trash can over to his bed and laying down. He turned on some soft music and decided to scroll through Twitter for a bit. When his eyes got droopy, he put his phone down and closed them, slipping into Dreamland.

He woke up some time later with a heavily churning tummy, and he had just enough time to lean over the edge of the bed before he was vomiting into the trash can by his head. His throat burned with bile and tears sprung to his eyes. He really wanted his Daddies to come comfort him, but his brothers needed them more. He was fine. He’d be fine after some more rest. Still, he couldn’t help but sob as another wave of vomit escaped him. He didn’t register the door opening or someone walking in until the bed dipped and a hand rested on his back to rub gentle circles there.

“Shh, honey. Let it all out. You’re okay. Daddy’s here. Daddy’s got you, angel. It’s alright,” Daddy soothed.

Froggy sobbed, dry heaving. He hated feeling like this.

“D-Daddy? Sowwy, Daddy.”

“Oh, angel. It’s not your fault. You’re feeling pretty icky, huh?”

Froggy nodded, collapsing against the bed once he stopped throwing up. Daddy pulled him fully onto the bed, cradling the Little against his chest and rubbing soothing patterns into Froggy’s back.

“Wha bout bubbas?” Froggy asked after a while.

“They’re with Papa right now. They’re okay, but Daddy’s little angel needs some love and attention, too, huh baby?”

Reluctantly, Froggy nodded. “No feew good, Daddy. Icky F’oggy.”

“I know, baby. Let Daddy make Froggy not icky, okay?”

Froggy nodded again. “Mebycine?”

“Yeah, angel. Daddy’s gonna get you some medicine. Can you tell me how you feel?”

“Icky tummy an’ achy head. An’ achy body. Feew icky aww obew, Daddy.”

“Alright, angel. Do you wanna come with Daddy to get the medicine or stay here?” Daddy asked.

In response, Froggy wrapped his arms tighter around the man, who picked him up and carried him downstairs. Daddy set him down on the counter and then rummaged through the medicine basket. He pulled out the right one and measured it carefully. Once the medicine was ready, Daddy got Froggy a sippy cup of apple juice.

“Here you go, angel. This should make you feel better.”

Froggy downed the liquid, then took from the sippy cup and drank the juice inside in long, slow sips.

“C’mon, angel. Let’s go watch cartoons, yeah?” Daddy suggested.

Froggy nodded and reached out. Daddy picked him up and carried him into the family room, where they watched cartoons for the rest of the day.