Actions

Work Header

Hero TV Live

Summary:

A collection of Keith/Agnes minifics, mostly happy, mostly canon-verse.

Notes:

I may post more minifics after, but the first 10 of these are from the Three Sentence Ficathon on Dreamwidth, hosted by [personal profile] rthstewart.

The rating may go up later.

Chapter 1: Tropospheric Chill

Notes:

Originally written for the 2021 ficathon, for the prompt: any, any, cold hands

Chapter Text

"Oh!" Agnes jumped at the brush of cold hands over her sides, dropping her own to cover them and wrapping her fingers around her lover's with a frown. "Shouldn't your gear protect you from getting this cold?"

"It does. It can only do so much, though; the higher I rise, the colder it grows." Keith supplied, shivering a little as Agnes's palms smoothed over his chilled knuckles.

Chapter 2: Queen of Heroes

Notes:

Originally written for the 2021 ficathon, for the prompt: any, any, superhero au

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

". . .isn't that your emergency alert?" Keith asked softly, nodding towards the bright PDA on Agnes' wrist; the green bands were flashing. "Don't you need to go?"

"Mm. . ." Agnes tapped a finger against her lips, her eyes going unfocused and limned with electric blue as she focused her power, looking beyond their surroundings and presumably locating and tracking the emergency. "No, I think they can handle it without me for one night." she grinned, holding out her glass, and Keith happily reached for the bottle of wine to top it off.

Notes:

I could not actually resist, though this is more of a role reversal AU, perhaps, considering. . . (Only not directly, because Keith is not doing Agnes' job. I have actually put Too Much thought into this AU from there though. ^^;)

Chapter 3: Patient Petting

Notes:

Originally written for the 2021 fication, for the prompt: Any, Any, Character brushing another character's hair

I have a forever weakness for haircare fluffs. >.>

Chapter Text

"Mm. . . You have an hour to stop that." Agnes said slowly, feeling as though she was having to pull her voice up from somewhere very far away.

Keith made a surprised sound, then laughed, pausing in his brushstrokes long enough to lean forward and kiss her shoulder. He resumed his task almost immediately and Agnes smiled, closing her eyes, stroking John's head absently as he nudged it into her lap.

Chapter 4: Nightmares Pushed Aside

Notes:

Originally written for the 2022 ficathon, for the prompt: any, any, their greatest fear

Chapter Text

". . .darling? Are you all right?"

Agnes didn't open her eyes, focusing on taking deep breaths - focusing on the warmth of the broad hand curling gently around her shoulder, and the strong body nudged up close at her back.

"I'm fine; go back to sleep, sweetheart." she said, her voice wavering just a little as she fought to compartmentalise - shutting away the images that had torn through her sleeping mind; a whirling backlash of a fiery storm, an explosion scattering fragments of tech and armour, shattered shards of pink-tinged ice . . . a dusky purple shadow plummeting from a clear sky.

Chapter 5: Ride

Notes:

Originally written for the 2022 ficathon, for the prompt: Any, Any, That's just too bad

Chapter Text

"Too bad about the rails shutting down this way; you take the train, don't you, Agnes?" Ryan says as Agnes descends the stairs towards the street, and she glares; had he been waiting for her? "Want a ride, then?" he asks, spinning his keys around his finger.

I would rather walk, Agnes thinks, refusing even to smile as she turns away from him - and right towards a very familiar approaching figure, preceded by a very happy dog.

"Hello, darling," Keith says, smiling, as John bounces on his front paws but does not jump, eagerly awaiting his hello scratch between the ears, "I heard about the train cutoff, so we thought we would come and collect you? The car is around the corner." he offers, along with his crooked arm, and Agnes smiles as she loops her own through it.

Chapter 6: Routine Patrol

Notes:

Originally written for the 2022 ficathon, for the prompt: any, any, genderbend

(So, F/F for just this chapter.)

Chapter Text

"Be careful out there, sweetheart." Agnes said, looking up as she put her tablet down on the table beside the couch.

"It's just a routine patrol, not even officially on duty." Keira said lightly, and Agnes eyed her. "I will be careful, my love." she amended, crossing the room and stepping over John, who wagged his tail but didn't rise.

"Good," Agnes kissed her, brushing a hand along her jaw, "see you later, then." she murmured as Keira pulled away again.

Chapter 7: In Sight

Notes:

Originally written for the 2022 ficathon, for the prompt: any, any, soulmate mark in unusual place

Chapter Text

Agnes almost snapped out a reflexive question what the hell her new intern was staring at, then took a short, sharp breath and sent the boy scurrying off with new instructions.

She crossed into the bathroom, leaning over the sink with a sigh, tilting her head and examining her left eye. The familiar mark was impossible to miss - for anyone who looked her in the eye, anyone she looked at; a soft, but brilliant yellow sun and rays surrounded by softer silvery-blue stars that were harder to make out against the green of her iris.

Chapter 8: Proper Precautions

Notes:

Originally written for the 2022 ficathon, for the prompt: any, any a gentle fall of snow

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

"Are you coming with us, my love?" Keith asked, hooking John's lead onto his collar, and Agnes glanced at the window; the wind was sending huge fluffy snowflakes swirling in a glittering dance just outside, filling the air.

"It's fucking freezing. . ." Agnes muttered, shivering, then sighed, raising her voice. "Yes, just let me bundle up first. It's pretty, but I don't want to freeze any more than necessary."

Notes:

This was written back in January, and . . . I love snow but I have a dog - a dog with a thick fluffy coat, who doesn't feel the cold when she's in six inches deep of snow, well below freezing temperatures, and strong north winds. I was freezing a lot around then. >.>

Chapter 9: Shared Airspace

Notes:

Originally written for the 2022 ficathon, for the prompt: any, any, daemon au

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

"Dogs," Aeneas said as he came in to land on Agnes' shoulder, ruffling his feathers, "are not meant to fly."

Though his tone was more long-suffering than actually irritated, Agnes stifled her laugh and smoothed out his plumage soothingly, turning as Keith came in - shadowed as ever by Lana, grinning and wagging her tail and looking very much the opposite of aerodynamic. Even as she floated along near Keith's shoulder, her eyes glowing as she channelled their NEXT ability.

Notes:

Keith, who can fly float, I cannot see with anything other than a dog; Agnes meanwhile nicely suits a corvid. . .

Chapter 10: Sun and Snow

Notes:

Originally written for the 2022 ficathon, for the prompt: any, any, faerie AU

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Agnes stilled, the nape of her neck tingling, warning her to stop - to flee - as a shiver of power rolled through her, bearing with it all the warmth - and the strength - of the summer sun.

Her spun-snow skirts swirling around her, Agnes whirled with a click of her icicle heels on the stone paving to face the Summer Knight.

"Hello, my lady." Keith said with a smile, extending his hand to her, dampening his power so that it didn't sting so to be near him, and Agnes slowly relaxed as she put her own hand in her lover's waiting clasp, pulling in the winter winds that surrounded her so as not to bite at him in turn.

Notes:

Writing this one definitely left me wanting to write a proper length fae AU. . .

Also this is the last, thus far, of the Three Sentence Ficathon works . . . I may toss up some minifics not from the ficathon sometime soon, though; I am very stuck in Tiger & Bunny land right now for some reason. . .

Chapter 11: Petting

Notes:

A scrap of something I jotted down in a notebook while travelling. . .

Chapter Text

Agnes ran her fingers through her lover’s hair, smiling as he made a low humming noise and leaned back against the couch. The puppy in his lap nudged closer as his hand stilled, whimpering needily. Keith laughed softly and ruffled Johnjohn’s ears, giving one of them a light tug. His tail wagged even as his head sagged against Keith’s stomach.

Agnes scritched gently, nails digging through Keith’s hair, and he tilted his head into her hand. John, stretched out over the other side of the couch, sighed and tucked his head a little lower over Agnes’ ankles.

Chapter 12: Gorgeous

Chapter Text

“Ready, sweetheart?” Agnes asked, picking up her phone as she stepped out of the bathroom, checking the time.

“Yes.” Keith stepped in front of her, and she looked up with a smile. He was wearing his suit, but his helmet was waiting on the bed. Keith clasped her free hand, bringing it up and bending to kiss it lightly. “Have I told you recently how completely gorgeous you are?”

Agnes turned her hand, stroking his jaw, and stepped into him. “Frequently.” she said fondly, and brushed a kiss to the corner of his mouth. It left a smudge of crimson lipstick - as brilliant as her dress for the evening's gala - but Agnes could touch up before they arrived, and Keith’s face wouldn’t be seen anyway. “Thank you.”

“It’s true.” Keith said earnestly, and Agnes laughed softly as she kissed him again.

Chapter 13: Flight Pains

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Agnes winced, feeling as though she had been rocked on her heels, her entire back lighting up with stinging pain that faded into a hot, dull ache in another breath, one ankle throbbing. She shifted her weight off it and leaned forwards over the control panel, snapping out commands for the cameras.

They cut the feed back just in time to show Sky High rising with a triumphant pose and a bow from the body blow he’d taken against a wall, catching himself before he could fall to the street far below.

He had also captured the last of the team of criminals, held in a whirling band of air, and Agnes smiled as she directed a split-screen showing all three heroes who had made captures. They were safely passed off to the police as Hero TV wound off for the night, and Agnes smothered a groan as she stretched, even though the ache was mostly gone now. She had a little more work to do before she could head home.


“I am sorry, my love.” Keith said softly, and Agnes shook her head, wrapping her towel a little more tightly around her hair.

“It’s fine.” Agnes reminded him again, gently, because she knew he meant it. She’d gotten used to staying on her feet against the battering blows of flight-falls and other such things long before she had come to Stern Bild and they had met, however. “You’re all right and so am I.” she reminded, moving over to the bed and freeing a hand to brush over his shoulder, continuing before he could protest any further. “And I don’t hurt any more; how’s your back? That was a rough one.”

Keith shrugged, but it was a little stiff. Agnes pursed her lips.

“I will be well.” Keith assured her, and Agnes huffed through her nose, but nodded. It hadn’t been a sharp enough pain to have cracked anything - she had felt that before, too; Keith had cracked ribs far too often - so he was probably correct.

“Good. Get some rest.” Agnes nudged him, and Keith sighed, letting himself sink back on the bed, turning over onto his side. Agnes winced at the vivid red splash of what would be an impressive bruise by morning. She leaned down and kissed his shoulder, then stepped away to finish drying her hair before joining him in bed.

Notes:

Hopefully obvious from context - set in an AU where soulmates feel, though do not mirror, one anothers' injuries.

Chapter 14: Sick Day

Notes:

Written for Whumptober 2022, Day 1, the prompt: Adverse Effects

(It's day 4 now, of course, but this idea only sparked on me last night. . .)

Chapter Text

Keith parted ways from his partner with a grin and a promise to meet at the training centre tomorrow - Nathan was busy with meetings at his office all day today - then headed on the rest of his route alone with his dogs. By the time they finished their loop back at the apartment John was slowing and while Johnjohn was still energetic, he was also panting heavily.

Keith patted them and urged them up the stairs, but didn’t push too fast. Once inside and turned free of their leads, they trotted off to the kitchen, and Keith heard them drinking noisily. Keith followed, leaving his empty water bottle on the counter and draining a full glass himself.

Then he padded quietly through the bedroom - Agnes was still in bed, curled on her side with the blanket nearly drawn over her face, now, to his surprise - snagging the clothes he’d laid out the night before and heading into the bathroom to shower.

Agnes hadn’t stirred when he emerged again, and Keith checked the time, then frowned. It was about half an hour after she usually rose.

“Agnes?” Keith called softly, moving around the bed and tugging at the blanket.

Agnes hissed as he drew it away from her face, evidently awake at least. She shuddered, pulling at the blanket.

“My love? Are you all right?” Keith asked, stroking her wild hair out of her face.

“C- cold.” Agnes stuttered, and Keith tensed. “And I f- feel awful. Everyth- thing hurts.”

Keith felt her brow. “Do you think you’re coming down with something?” he asked, drawing the blanket up around her shoulders again.

“Flu shot yesterday.” Agnes reminded with a grimace. “It doesn’t usually hit me this hard,” she struggled to get the words out, teeth chattering, “but. . .”

Keith nodded, hushing her. “I’ll get you another blanket.” He paused. “Is there anything else I can do?” he asked, rubbing a hand gently up and down her arm. Agnes shivered and shook her head, disappearing deeper into the blanket, and Keith frowned, rising to go and get another blanket or two.

Chapter 15: Shaken

Notes:

Written for Whumptober 2022, Day 7, the prompt: Shaking Hands

Also thanks entirely to M for this one, as she helpfully provided the idea. . .

Chapter Text

“Sky High, take the-”

Keith had already been heading down in the direction he expected Agnes had been about to draw his attention, but he paused at the sharp sound of her gasp in his ear. It was also unusual for Agnes to break off like that. “Agnes?”

“Wait, what is-”

Agnes’ voice disappeared in a high-pitched whine of feedback that made Keith recoil and nearly drop out of the sky in reaction, and then-

“Agnes!” Keith shouted as a blossom of ugly red-orange flame consumed the HeroTV van, pieces thrown in all directions. He dove, the fire illuminating the area - the streetlights had gone out in the explosion - well enough for him to see, though in a nightmarish cast.

Agnes was sprawled out across the asphalt, moving weakly, once, then going still. Her pale lavender blouse was dark across her back and side, and growing darker.

Keith dropped to his knees at her side, carefully moving her arm to find a gash over her ribs, bleeding heavily. He swallowed, throat burning and stomach twisting with nausea, and looked at Agnes’ face - her eyes were open, but glazed and unfocused, and her quiet mutters made no sense.

Keith yanked at his cape and folded it over Agnes’ bloody side, nearly dropping the fabric from his trembling fingers before he got it in place. He braced his shaky hands, one over the other, on Agnes’ side and pressed down hard. There was blood spreading across the street under his knees, he had to get the bleeding stopped.

“Sky High! Is that- Oh fuck.

Keith couldn’t quite open his mouth to speak, watching as Agnes went completely limp, eyes closing. He pressed a little harder on her side. She had to be all right, she had to-

“Ambulance is on the way! I’ve got two of the crew over here!”

“Sky High has Agnes!”

Keith heard the familiar voices, but didn’t quite catch any sense in the words. He couldn’t focus on anything but the beloved figure so worryingly still under his hands.

“Please,” he begged thoughtlessly, barely hearing the ambulance as it came, and the paramedics spilling out onto the street, tremors spreading from his hands through his whole body, “please. . .”

Chapter 16: Off Course

Notes:

Written for Whumptober 2022, Day 18, the prompt: "Just get it over with."

Another one largely thanks to M!

Chapter Text

Keith touched down lightly, careful as he helped his partner find his footing again. “Are you all right?” he asked, concerned.

“I’m fine, honey.” Nathan patted his shoulder, smiling, then wiggled a little in place, hands clasped by his jaw. “Nothing like being swept off my feet so dramatically!”

“Sky High!”

Keith cringed a little inside his helmet, but didn’t hesitate, pulling it off and turning towards Agnes.

“Thanks for the save, honey.” Nathan said, with a little shudder, and kissed Keith’s cheek. Keith smiled at him, shoulders easing a little - he’d known he was leaving the quadrant he’d just been assigned empty, but he couldn’t have headed off to cover it when he saw his partner already handling three attackers and being backed onto a scaffold ready to collapse at any moment.

Keith presented himself in front of Agnes, fingers flexing on his helmet. Agnes narrowed her eyes, the toe of one shoe tapping sharply on the tiles, twice.

Keith swallowed and dipped his head. “I understand. Just,” he paused, smiling weakly, his stomach knotting and his chest tight; he hated disappointing anyone, and Agnes’ pointed glare was particularly distressing, “get it over with.”

“What were you thinking?” Agnes demanded, crossing her arms and waiting expectantly.

Keith opened his mouth, trying to find the words to explain, then closed it again, shaking his head, holding his helmet to his chest, the upset making it impossible to string things together correctly. He would rather just-

“. . .what were you thinking?” Agnes asked, her expression still sharp and expectant, but less angry. “Explain.” She stepped forwards, her heels clicking rather than snapping harshly this time, and Keith bowed his head.

“We’re off the air and the situation is fully contained.” Agnes said, voice tart but not sharp, resting a hand on Keith’s wrist. “There’s no rush. Breathe.”

Chapter 17: Beyond the Pale

Notes:

Written for Whumptober 2022, Day 27, the theme: Pushed to the Limit

Some light/vague spoilers for the very end of season two.

Chapter Text

Agnes withdrew her arm from his, and Keith pulled out a chair for her. She seated herself, smiling, and Keith settled gingerly into his own chair, clicking his tongue at the dogs. Both settled obediently at their feet, and Keith looked around.

It had only been three days, but the city was looking much better already . . . though there was a long way to go, Keith thought, eyeing the rubble heaped across the street from the café.

“Oh! We’re so happy to see you back!”

Keith turned back with a smile, watching the familiar waitress - Anna - lean down to talk to Agnes.

“We’re so glad you kept supporting the heroes and got them back out,” Anna said quietly, “we’d have been toast without them. I hope they know how much the city owes them!”

Agnes smiled, chatting with Anna for a few minutes before she headed off with their orders. Agnes leaned forwards against the table, putting a hand over Keith’s wrist. “How are you feeling?” she asked softly, eyes shaded with concern.

Keith shrugged, but smiled at her. He was still tired and sore, but it was nice to be out again anyway. Agnes nodded, crossing her legs as she settled back - her ankle brushed his shin - and didn’t say anything more as Anna brought their drinks and food.

Keith’s brows rose as Agnes suddenly tensed. He followed the angle of her head - she hadn’t quite turned to look - and then-

“Yeah! The damn superheroes should have just let us handle things!”

There were several uniformed police at a nearby table.

“Exactly! It’s our jobs and they’re always interfering!”

Agnes twitched, and Keith leaned forwards, clasping her hand. “It’s all right, love.” he said quietly, trying to draw her attention. She met his gaze, her eyes blazing. “Agnes. . .”

“And with the riots? They only made everything worse!”

Agnes smacked the table with one hand, shoving back from it and throwing her napkin down over her plate as she stormed away. Keith winced, lunging to his feet, then pulling up short, biting his lip.

Excuse you.” Agnes’ voice was strident and clear as she made her way over to the small group of police. She was also very loud, demanding they explain themselves and barely giving them a chance to register her presence before continuing.

Keith looked down at John and Johnjohn; both of them had gotten up and Johnjohn was trying to follow Agnes, whuffing quietly. Keith pulled back on their leads and dug out his phone.

“Hello?”

“Fire! I- Ah,” Keith hesitated, “I need your help.”

“Aw, sweetie! Anything!”

“Agnes is,” Keith flinched as one of the officers tried to interrupt and Agnes got louder, “ah, there were some police officers being . . . less than polite about heroes, and Agnes is . . . correcting them.”

“Oh my!” Nathan said.

“I tried to stop her, but. . . Well.” Keith cleared his throat.

“It’s very sweet that you think I can do anything to stop Agnes when she’s on a tear, darling,” Nathan said fondly, “all right, here’s what I need you to do; turn your phone to video mode and start recording, all right?”

Keith nodded absently, starting to thumb his phone to switch modes, then paused. “. . .how is that going to help?”

“Oh sweetie, I didn’t say it was going to help, I said I need you to record this.” Nathan said, with a low laugh.

Chapter 18: Like This

Notes:

Please note the newly upped rating!

Chapter Text

“Like this?” Keith asked, lying back and offering up his hands.

Agnes smiled, clasping his hands for balance as she climbed over him, settling on her knees. A shiver ran through him, and Agnes hummed, smile widening. The heat of desire spread through her in turn, a tingling shiver of her own, and it made her pussy clench as she flexed her fingers around her lover’s hands.

Keith shifted slightly beneath her, breath hitching, and Agnes freed one hand, stroking his chest. She could feel the throb of his heartbeat against her palm. His cock brushed her inner thigh and Agnes twitched, drawing a short little breath.

Keith rubbed up and down her thigh with his free hand, and Agnes smiled as she shifted and drew her hand down over his stomach to his cock, curling around the shaft, hot through the latex. Keith’s hips arched, pushing up into her touch, and his lips parted on a soft thrumming sound of pleasure that made the hot coil in Agnes’ belly tighten.

She stroked lightly up and down Keith’s cock, arching her hips and biting her lip as she brought the tip into light contact with her pussy. Keith groaned, fingers tightening on Agnes’ thigh, and she took a breath, letting it out slowly as she rocked back and slid down, taking Keith’s cock inside herself.

Keith twitched but didn’t arch beneath her, his stomach muscles tightening; Agnes only distantly noted it, absorbed by the hot slide and the deep stretch of taking him inside her this way, rolling her hips to test the feeling.

Keith eased his grip on her thigh slowly, rubbing up and down again, and Agnes smiled, releasing her lip - it throbbed dully; she’d bit down harder than she’d quite realised - and rolling her hips again, a larger motion this time.

Keith rocked up into her this time, and Agnes let out a soft cry at the stab of hot pleasure that rushed through her, shifting her knees to brace herself more solidly.

Chapter 19: Midnight Comfort

Chapter Text

“What’s the matter, sweetheart?” Agnes asked, smothering a yawn as she pushed herself up, lingering traces of sleep swiftly swept away by concern.

Keith shook his head, but she couldn’t see his face; he was sitting on the edge of the bed, his back to her. She thought he was rubbing his face.

Agnes tugged her legs in, pulling a little more free of the duvet, and moved over to him. “Keith?” she asked softly, brushing a hand over his back. He twitched under her touch, but leaned back into it just a little.

Agnes shifted closer, spreading her legs to fit herself more snugly against his back, leaning into him and winding her arms around his waist.

“Hello, love.” Keith said, voice a little rough. Agnes frowned and dipped her head, kissing his shoulder. “I am sorry to have woken you.”

“Don’t be.” Agnes said immediately, shaking her head a little and hugging him tighter. Keith was always scrupulously careful not to disturb her - which she appreciated, as he rose far earlier than she did in the mornings - and for him to have forgotten himself enough to do so now. . . “Won’t you tell me what’s bothering you?” she asked, nestling her chin against his shoulder.

Keith drew a deep breath and let it out, just a little ragged. Agnes could feel the tremor running through him. “Just unpleasant thoughts. I would prefer not to. . .” He gestured weakly, formless.

“Hm.” Agnes kissed his shoulder again and snuggled against him, tightening her embrace. “As you wish, sweetheart.” she said, and he relaxed a little. Good. Agnes frowned thoughtfully. “Lie down with me again?” she coaxed, and Keith took another ragged breath. “Or do you need to get up?” she asked, mouth twisting.

Keith shook his head, turning to look at her. His smile was weak, but when Agnes smoothed a hand over his chest he sighed, covering her hand with his own. “. . .all right.” he agreed, and squeezed her hand.

Then he released his hold, and Agnes moved back, easing her own embrace and settling slowly down on her side. She stretched out one arm and Keith turned towards her, sliding his legs back under the duvet as he joined her.

Agnes tucked her arm over Keith as he curled close, and he relaxed a little more, sighing, his breath tickling over her collarbones.

“I’m here if you want to talk about it,” Agnes said, frowning slightly, “but even if you don’t, sweetheart. . .”

“Thank you.” Keith said against her skin, and Agnes hoped he would find some rest, whatever had so distressed him.

Chapter 20: For Puppy

Notes:

When I was looking for easy idle fluff thoughts a couple of months ago towards the end of the day, M suggested "making pancakes together" . . . and this is what happened; I have a friend who does this every time she makes pancakes. ;)

Chapter Text

“What are you doing?” Agnes asked, watching over Keith’s shoulder as he carefully poured four very small discs of batter into the skillet rather than using it all to make one proper sized one as she had expected.

Keith hummed, shifting the skillet and then twisting to look at her with a smile. “Puppy pancakes.” he explained, and Agnes blinked, then laughed. Keith tilted his head - such a puppy himself sometimes, she thought fondly, reaching up to stroke his cheek as she stepped back, allowing him to move. “I always make the little ones for John and Johnjohn.”

“Of course.” Agnes agreed solemnly, and Keith nodded once, smile widening. Agnes hummed, content and fond and amused all at once, and drew Keith into a light kiss. He made a little startled sound, then cupped a hand at her hip, tipping his head to meet her.

Agnes didn’t linger - the puppies’ pancakes would burn, she thought with another curl of amusement - drawing back after a few moments and rubbing her thumb over Keith’s lower lip. He kissed the pad of her thumb, and Agnes smiled at him. “Sweetheart.” she said softly, and Keith raised his eyebrows even as he nuzzled into her touch.

Agnes hummed, then gave him a nudge back to the stove, moving to the coffee maker herself - she had to step around Johnjohn, close by Keith’s side, and over John, lying in the middle of the floor - to refill both of their mugs.

Chapter 21: Contemplations

Notes:

. . .I may have been in a particular hurt/comfort kind of mood one evening back in November, yes.

Chapter Text

“Sweetheart, what are you doing up?”

Keith twitched, startled. Agnes’ hands slid over his back and around to clasp in front of him as she leaned against him, kissing his shoulder.

“I am sorry.” Keith said, finding his voice again. “I didn’t. . .” he trailed off, sighing, looking out at the velvety black of the night sky beyond the city lights.

“Didn’t mean to?” Agnes asked, and he shrugged. “Didn’t realise it was so late?” That too, really. “Didn’t think you would bother me?”

Keith blinked, startled, and lowered his gaze, turning his head a little only to be stymied by how closely his lover was holding him.

Agnes hummed, easing her hold and stepping back, and Keith turned to face her. “Darling?” he asked uncertainly.

Agnes reached up, stroking his face, and he closed his eyes, leaning into the touch. “It’s late, sweetheart.” she said softly. “Far later than you are generally to be found out of bed. Is something wrong?”

Keith shook his head a little. “Just . . . thinking.” he admitted, opening his eyes again.

Agnes hummed again, arching a brow, but she didn’t press. “Are you upset?” she asked, searching his face, and Keith smiled.

“No.” he said, and it was honest; his thoughts had not been the sweetest, but it was nothing of immediate concern . . . and he felt better, grounded suddenly in the now of his life, with Agnes here and drawing him back.

Agnes made a noncommittal noise, stepping in and kissing his cheek. “Good, then. Are you coming to bed?”

“Yes.” Keith said, and caught her around the waist before she could move away. “I’ll come now.”

“If you need longer. . .” Agnes said, and he shook his head. Agnes smiled. “All right, then. Come on, sweetheart.”

Chapter 22: Fear

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Agnes’ head spun and her mouth was throbbing faintly as Keith drew back, his hands tight on her hips. Which was probably good, as she was all but swaying on her feet. She took a moment to steady herself. “What-” Agnes took a breath, shaking her head slightly, and raised a hand to Keith’s face. “What was that, sweetheart?” she asked quietly.

Keith swallowed visibly, then took a ragged breath. “When that explosion- The comms went down,” he said thickly, fingers flexing on her hips, “and it looked like. . .”

Agnes frowned as his voice shook. “Keith?” she prompted gently, and he drew a great, hitching breath.

“All we could see - all I could see, even from up- up there,” Keith jerked his head, eyes flicking away from her face for the barest instant, up to the sky he had been flying in so recently, “was the explosion, the fire, the rubble where- where the van was. And your voice wasn’t in my ear any more and I was so afraid. . .”

Agnes’ eyes widened as it dropped into place. “Oh, sweetheart.”

Keith smiled weakly. “I’m- I’m so glad you’re all right.” he said, quiet and shaky.

Agnes stepped in against his body, winding her arms around his shoulders and drawing him tight to herself, ignoring the less than comfortable jabs from parts of his hero suit. A gentle shift and a brief, hard squeeze encouraged him and he wrapped his arms entirely around her waist, clinging at least as desperately as he had kissed her, hard and sudden and dizzying.

“I’m safe.” Agnes promised, lips brushing his ear, and swayed absently, smoothing one hand over the back of his head, fingers brushing through his sweaty hair. “I’m right here.” she murmured, and let him shake and hold on, grounding himself.

Notes:

The van had moved prior to the explosion, so Agnes was unharmed and unshaken and unaware that anyone might have thought they were caught in it.

Chapter 23: Playful

Chapter Text

A fleeting, ticklish brush just by one corner of Keith’s mouth made him jump, the dozy vestiges of sleep swiftly cleared away. He opened his eyes just in time to see Agnes grin at him, then-

He closed his eyes reflexively as she bent very close to his face, and was rewarded with a feathery kiss over one eyelid.

Ah. That ticklish, butterfly flutter of a feeling.

Keith grinned back at his lover as she pulled away and he opened his eyes again. Agnes slanted a playful look his way, her fingers sliding along his wrist, then dipped her head to drop another feathery kiss just beneath his jaw.

She ducked away before Keith could bring his arm up around her, laughing softly.

Keith reached for her, pulling on a mock frown. “Agnes, love-”

Agnes pressed a firm kiss to his lips this time, and Keith’s breath caught in his chest. His hands curled on nothing as Agnes twisted away and rose from her perch on the edge of the couch, a quick step bringing her easily out of reach.

Keith put his feet on the floor, tossing aside the throw he’d been napping under, and Agnes danced away, laughing, as he rose . . . only to let herself be caught a moment later, fingers trailing along his hip.

Keith smoothed one hand up her back in turn, and she smiled at him, tilting her head to accept his soft kiss. He kept her close, lingering, and Agnes hummed against his mouth, relaxing in his arms as he nuzzled her gently.

“Hello darling.” Agnes murmured as their lips parted, and Keith grinned, resting their brows together.

Chapter 24: Herbert vs. Agnes

Notes:

Written for the 2023 round of the Three Sentence Ficathon (which opened yesterday!), for the prompt: any, any, soulmate goose of enforcement

(His name is Herbert. M has secured this in my mind, among other things, for in my mind this is M's Soulmate Goose. XD)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Herbert eyed the colourful group, and then his summoners, very displeased; he hated frigging NEXT, damn it - he'd been frozen, flambéed, electrocuted, doused in cold water, flung through the air, bruised his beak on apparently invulnerable human, and bitten by a crazed lizard who had ripped out half his flight feathers. He was done with this-

"Go on! This one's not even a NEXT!"

Herbert cocked his head, then eyed the group again, swiftly finding the woman his summoners were indicating, standing by the NEXT and tapping her heel impatiently. How bad could it be, then?

Notes:

. . .I may or may not be tempted to write the longer Keith/Agnes story this naturally implies. XD It was already in mind before the ficathon, anyway. . .

Chapter 25: Comfort

Chapter Text

Agnes nudges Keith out of the way when he hovers uncertainly around her - perhaps he feels he should take her jacket or something, she thinks, and shrugs it off herself, leaving it behind as she nudges Keith back into his own living room, towards the couch.

‟I- I apologise.” Keith says as he sinks down onto it, eyes looking even brighter than usual with the wet glimmer of tears. ‟I only. . . I only very much . . . needed you here.” He sniffed, smiling weakly. ‟Right now.”

‟It’s all right.” Agnes says, settling a little closer and smoothing a hand up and down his back. She is well aware that she is very not good at being comforting, in the main; if her presence is enough to make Keith feel better. . . Well, that she can do.

She runs her fingers through his already tousled hair, nails trailing lightly over his temple and behind his ear, and he sags a little, bowing forwards, elbows on his knees. Agnes contemplates him for a moment, then curls one arm around his far shoulder and leans against his side; she can feel his ragged, shuddering breath, and wonders if she should-

Keith relaxes, just a fraction but enough to notice, reaching up and wrapping one hand over hers on his shoulder, so Agnes leans into him a little more firmly, idly rubbing his arm with her free hand.