Actions

Work Header

Reliance

Chapter 2

Notes:

Guys, I'm so HAPPY to see that you enjoyed the first chapter! So here is the next 🥰

Chapter Text



 

A normal dinner at the Niima’s is nothing but normal. It often begins with something over-cooking or boiling over, Rey cutting or burning herself in a hopeless attempt to make dinner. She’s exhausted by the time she’s home and she’s practically finished when the food is served. 

Then her children begin to either laugh-eating or bicker-eating. Laugh-eating often consists of Ben making a silly face and Ria thinking it’s hilarious and then this hell of laughter and throwing food across the table begins. By the time they’re getting ready for bed, the kitchen is a nightmare that Rey has to clean up.

Then there is bicker-eating. Ria has a bad day, Ben is her poor victim. He starts to cry and once he starts it doesn’t finish. Makaria screams and once she screams, that doesn’t end either. Food is thrown across the table but out of anger instead. By the time they’re getting ready for bed, the kitchen is a nightmare. 

So, dinners usually end the same. 

But today, it’s quiet. Too quiet. Rey is exhausted and invites Finn for dinner so he can do the dinner.  He does it with a huff, equally exhausted as a social worker, and makes some kind of meatloaf. Rey waits patiently for her children to begin. Laughter or bickering.

They do neither. They eat from their plates in silence. Eyes distant and distracted, nibbling on potatoes without complaints or compliments. Ben, who loves every kind of food, only pokes with his fork. 

Rey blinks dumbfounded and throws Finn a glare. He blinks, then leans towards her discreetly. 

“What the hell is wrong with your children?” 

Rey has no idea. 

“Kids?” They jump startled and straighten their backs nervously as if they’ve been caught doing something they aren’t supposed to do. “Are you alright? Do you like Uncle Finn’s food?” 

“Yes, mommy.” They sing in unison, almost comically. 

Okay, that is worrying. Whenever she asks that they always try to be as mean as possible to make Finn pretend-cry which they think is hilarious. It causes them to laugh and jump excitedly before rushing to hug and calm him like a baby. 

“...Did something happen today at school?” 

The siblings share a look that Rey will never be able to read, for she has no brother or sister herself. They seem to exchange words and sentences between a single glance. At first, Rey worries that Makaria might have done something bad and is threatening her brother to keep quiet about it. But they look equally conflicted.

“No,” Ben says and that’s final. They break eye contact and continue eating like robots. 

Rey is so confused, sharing a look with Finn. 

“Should I call Poe?” He whispers and Rey snorts. Like she needs Finn to invite his boyfriend to this mess too

“This can’t possibly be linked to a crime!”   

Finn gives her a look, before shrugging his shoulders. “Bet they killed someone.”

Rey kicks him under the table. 

 

 

“Was that really daddy,” Ben had asked when they were back at school. His eyes were wide and horrified. 

Their bags are still on their backs and they’re standing in the middle of the schoolyard completely in shock. Children are still playing and teachers scroll through their phones under a parasol. The rain continues. It’s as if they never left. 

“How else did he know about mommy's scar?” Makaria whispers, still dumbfounded. He also knew which letter it was, a K and an R, and mommy never shows her scar to anyone. 

How do I know?” The man had smirked, lips wide. “ I helped mommy heal after she got the scar.”  

Makaria didn’t think that her daddy would be so scary. Yet she can’t help but love him. Admire him. The way he sat on that bench, the way he scooped her up to place on his lap. And when he told Ria that she’s grown beautifully, that she’s daddy’s princess, she knew. 

“But mommy cries when we ask about daddy…” Ben’s eyes are once again tearing up, snot running down his nose. “He must’ve been mean to mommy-”

Makaria is scared of her father, but she loves him really much. So she gets angry when Ben doesn’t. 

“He said that mommy left him , so mommy must have been the mean one! Why are you always such a chicken, Ben?!” Now Ria’s eyes are starting to tear. “Don’t you want to have a daddy like everyone else?” 

“I- I do!” Ben cries, stomping his feet. 

While Makaria had sat in the man’s lap, dumbfounded and surprised, the man had then looked at Ben with scary eyes. The boy had shrunk under his gaze, wanting to run away but not without his sister. 

The man smiled. “Ben?” 

Ben swallowed, holding in a sob. The man knows his name. “...Yes?” 

“You look like your mother. So beautiful. Daddy’s sunshine.” 

Makaria was right. Ben wants a daddy like everyone else. He wants a daddy like all his friends at school. Picking him up after classes, carrying him on his shoulders. Making pancakes together and being daddy’s sunshine.   

Even if Ben felt like throwing up in horror, he couldn’t help to feel happiness bloom inside him through the soil that was his anxiety. Daddy’s sunshine; that’s all he wants to be! But even if it felt good and Ben wanted to be greedy, he couldn’t ignore the feeling that something was wrong. 

“... I do,” Ben mumbles, defeated. Head hanging in worry. He really does, as much as Makaria. 

“We promised daddy not to tell mommy,” Makaria whispers, as anxious as her brother. “So we can meet him again.” 

 

 

 

Rey is twirling the spoon in her now cold-coffee cup, sighing loudly. 

“You alright?” 

Rey looks up, smiling when she sees Snap standing before her. A loose tie around his neck and suitcase in his hands. His hair a bit ruffled as if he just got out of bed. He works near Jakku café at an office and still gets his coffee here on lunch breaks. It was a bit nerve-wracking when they first started dating, but now it only makes Rey happy. It’s a delight taking her own breaks together with him. 

“Did the newbie spill steamed milk all over the floor again? Wait, is he still a newbie if he’s worked here for a month now?” 

Rey chuckles, shaking her head. “It’s you that calls him a newbie, not me!” 

Snap sits across her, putting his bag on the floor with a soft smile. “You want to tell me what’s bothering you?”

Once again, a sigh leaves her lips and Rey wipes her palms against the beige work-apron she wears. Every parental battle is like going to war blindfolded and this is once again an unknown battlefield. Where do you go, and who do you talk to? It’s endless thinking that drains her energy. 

And Snap is easy to talk to. Whenever he gives her that smile, filled with understanding and adoration, it feels like everything is going to be alright. 

“My children… They’ve been so weird the past couple of weeks.” 

Snap raises an eyebrow. “Weird?”

“Makaria’s teacher called and told me that she’s extremely distracted during classes; doesn’t even react when the kids are being mean like she used to. Ben isn’t as joyful, doesn’t hug me as much, and is also distracted at school. They’re quiet, obedient, and like- communicate through eye contact! It’s so weird - I don’t understand what’s going on.” 

Snap leans back on his chair with a thinking hum, scratching his chin. “Well, I don’t know much about kids, but it sounds to me that they’re sharing a secret.” 

Rey raises her eyebrows before she starts to chuckle. “No.

“No?”

“No,” Rey snorts, shaking her head. “Ben can’t keep a secret, he tells me everything! He would never…” 

Would he?

“I don’t know Rey,” Snap sighs, leaning back on his chair. “Whatever it is, don’t force them to answer. Let them just know that you’re there for them.” 

Snap has a point. Forcing her kids to come clear doesn’t seem like a good idea; it'll only scare them into thinking that whatever secret they’re keeping will lead to scolding. Reminding them that she's there for them, however, will create a safe place for them. Maybe even guilt trip them into confessing, but Rey won’t admit that out loud. 

“You’re really good at this,” Rey nods, impressed. Pointing at him with the spoon. “I like that.” 

Snap smirks. “I’m good at other things too.”

Rey scoffs unimpressed, but her cheeks are tinting violently. It’s like she’s a teenager all over again, the mention of sex making her react this silly. It’s actually kind of nice. She likes that about Snap too. 

Rey thinks twice before answering. “Well, you get to prove that on Friday.” 

His eyes widened. “Will I?”

“Mhm. Break’s over,” Rey exclaims, standing up hurriedly and brushing imaginary crumbs off her apron. Trying to hide her reddened face. Clearing her throat, she throws him a glance. He’s never looked this smug and happy before. It gives her enough courage to set a time. “Pick me up at 12?” 

 

 

 

Makaria is only eight years old, but even she’s smart enough to realize that her elementary school is really bad. 

Every day after classes, when they and the rest of the hundred students play outside, Ria and her brother sneak behind the building. Away from the prying eyes of teachers and playing children. There, they climb through the hole in the fence and walk a bit down the road. To the bench where the old man sits every time. 

They’ve met daddy every day. Has for the last couple of weeks. He always smokes, eyes distant in the woods surrounding him. But when the children run towards him with happy cries, he flicks it to the side and opens up his arms with a smile. 

“Daddy!” They yell in unison, jumping into his lap. He smells like smoke and man perfume. Uncle Poe sprayed some on Ben once and he liked it. Daddy’s smells better, though.

Daddy never says anything, just kisses them each on their head, and then sets them on his lap. Sometimes he brings them candy, a lollipop each that they devour happily. Daddy always brings them food when there is fish at lunch because he knows the siblings hate it. 

Today he brought toys. Ben got a racing car that can go really fast when you pull it backward and Makaria a Tamaguchi. Everyone in her class got one, so when she told daddy with a pout, he got her one the next day. 

Makaria has never been happier, sitting in daddy’s lap and playing with her purple toy in the middle of nowhere. He hugs her against his chest, watching Ben play a further bit away while taking phone calls when they come. It’s a bit scary sometimes, the way he hawks over them with dark eyes, but they’re used to it now. 

After the siblings are content and happy, with either sugar or toys, daddy starts asking questions about mommy. Makaria thinks he misses her because he wants to know everything. About where she works, who she works with, how many friends she got, what she wears, and when she sleeps. 

The children don’t mind answering; it’s their daddy, after all. 

Then they have to go back after an hour or so. Daddy always reminds them not to tell mommy about this. He even has to take their toys; they can’t take them home. 

When they get back to school, sneaking into the background, it’s like they never left. Children swing on the wings and play tag around the yard. The teachers scroll through their phones. 

Yeah, maybe not the best school. 

 

 

 

They’re sitting in the living room playing with Lego, whispering to each other, when Rey decides to butt in. Because they are never this silent and obedient, and sure; it may be a bit nice, but this is not them. Rey rather has them screaming and laughing - just being themselves. 

She starts to question Finn. Maybe they did kill someone. 

“Kids,” she begins. Causing the younglings to turn their heads towards their mother as she sits on the ground with them. “I want you guys to know that I’m there for you,” Rey says. Undertoning there  a bit dramatic. “So… if there is anything you want to tell me, I’m here to listen.” 

The siblings share a look; eyes wide and panicked, and Rey waits patiently. They exchange words and expressions through their single eye contact and it’s quite fascinating, but she needs them to tell the truth so she can help and save them from whatever secret they’re holding. 

“Okay. Thanks, mommy,” Makaria says, going back to play with the Lego. Ben joins his sister and the conversation is over. 

 

 

 

“Does your mother have a boyfriend?” 

Makaria, who’s busy feeding her Tamaguchi, looks up to meet daddy’s eyes. He never really talks so when he does, it feels like she has to put her fullest attention on him. Otherwise, it feels like he’ll get mad and bad things will happen. 

Ben hums happily, leaning against daddy’s chest and picking on the car's wheels. It doesn’t seem like he’s as afraid to talk with daddy without eye contact as Makaria is. Maybe he’s too little to understand. 

“His name is Snap,” Ben says, making small ‘vroom vroom’ sounds. “He’s nice but Ria doesn’t like him. She kicked him once.”

“Stop saying stupid things, Ben!” Makaria cries, face becoming crimson in embarrassment. She doesn’t want to look childish and stupid in front of daddy, but then she hears him snort. 

With a glance, she sees his lips turned into a smirk - amused by his daughter's hatred for the poor man. He kisses her on her cheeks and Ria’s tummy feels all bubbly in happiness. Maybe she did a good job kicking his shin. 

“It’s okay, princess,” daddy assures. “I’ll get rid of him and make mommy mine again.” 

Both Ben and Ria, who sits on each leg, look up at him with raised eyebrows. Daddy has always told them to be careful, not to tell them about him, and that mommy shouldn’t know. Now he claims the opposite and the siblings light up in joy. 

“Are you finally going to meet mommy?!” Ben laughs, his freckled cheeks turning pink in delight. 

Daddy hums in agreement, kissing Ben’s temple with a smile. “Soon we'll be a real family.” 

 

 

 

Why Ben thought starting a tickling game in the middle of dinner was a good idea, Rey will never know. It began with a poke on Ria’s arm and then she did it to him and suddenly food and laughter were thrown all across the kitchen.

Rey is too exhausted to tell them off, but she can’t help but smile seeing her children laugh-eating. Everything seems to be back to normal. 

 

 

 

Fridays are Rey’s only day off managing the café. Ever since Maz retired and put the business in her hands, she’s never had a break. From renovating the old location to educating new baristas. So when the staff assured her that they would manage and the opportunity to get a free day on Friday was given, Rey took it. 

While the kids were at school, she would clean the apartment. The small fucking apartment she got at 19, with one room and shitty wallpapers. Where the windows by the kitchen are always covered with curtains and locks constantly activated. 

After that, she would put on some movie, maybe drink wine or tea, and cook some lunch. Buy some Chinese if she was lazy. Then take the bus and pick up the children. 

Ever since she started dating Snap, however, Fridays have been their days off. Snap doesn’t have to be in the office constantly - he can pretty much work from home whenever. So while the kids are at school, there was no need to hire a nanny. They would pretty much have dates in the middle of the day. It’s not the most romantic but being a mother isn’t always romantic and Snap understands that. He’s a nice man. 

What’s not so romantic is having sex in the middle of the day. Because that’s what she plans to do. To have sex with him for the first time. 

Rey’s ready. She is. This time, she won’t freeze up when he puts his hands on her. This time, she’ll relax and enjoy. The children are at school playing, the café is running along great. He is locked up and won’t touch her ever again. There is nothing that can stop her from feeling good. 

So after she waves the children goodbye by the school entrance, she goes home to shower. Shave, scrub and moisturize. Sexiest lingerie she owns; a black lace bra and matching panties. Over that, a knitted dress and black pantyhose. Hair in three buns, mascara, and gold eyeshadow. 

Done. 

Before Rey gets ready to leave, the door knocks, and Rey is surprised when she sees a delivery man, holding a big bouquet of flowers. It’s in every color, fresh and beautiful. A nice contrast to the gray autumn month ahead, and a nice gift that makes Rey’s inside tingle. 

“Rey Niima?” 

“Yes, that’s me.” 

She signs a paper and when she places the bouquet in a vase, in the middle of the kitchen table, her lips twist into a big smile. There is a card resting between the petals and Rey sighs in happiness when she reads the heartwarming words. 

I can’t wait to see you.

Snap is such a man. 

He’s supposed to pick her up by the corner of Jakku café at 12 PM. Rey wanted to greet her staff and ask the newest if everything is going alright before the date. So after she does, she goes outside to wait. It’s a bit cold and cloudy - the concrete is wet. It rained all night. She doesn’t mind though. She’s in a good mood over the bouquet. 

Cars pass by and Rey waits. She looks around, back at her wristband, and down the streets again. The blue Toyota doesn’t show up and a mere fifteen minutes then 30 pass by without any sight or message from Snap. 

Anxiety collects and becomes a rock inside Rey’s stomach. She can’t help but feel bad about all this. It’s not like him to be late and when he is, he always texts her to let her know, so she doesn’t have to freeze waiting outside. With furrowed eyebrows, she takes up her phone. Nibbling on her lips as she thinks of calling him.

Then her phone vibrates and Rey jumps startled when she sees Snap calling. 

“Hello? Snap,” Rey asks through the phone with a chuckle, worried and nervous. “Where are you? You can’t just buy me flowers and bail on me...” 

“Rey…” He sighs and she can hear his background loud and clear. Ordering voices and machines beeping. It almost sounds like… “I’m at the hospital.” 

Rey froze in place. “ What ? Are you alright?” 

“I don’t know what happened,” Snap groans, and she can almost see him drag a hand across his face. “I was just about to jump into the car and then I looked up and it just… like, aimed at me.” 

Rey is left speechless, a shiver running down her spine. This situation feels eerily similar to what has happened in her past and it must be a coincidence. Yes, it must be. 

But the lie doesn’t calm Rey an ounce. Not one bit. She has a bad feeling about all this and assumptions are enough for her to panic. It feels like her sight is blurring and suddenly it becomes hard to breathe. As if every breath weighs several pounds.

“I just got a scratch but someone still called an ambulance and they insisted that I go get myself checked-”

“What- What model was the car,” Rey asks, panicked. Voice shaky and under no control. 

“... How did you know it was a car?” 

“Just answer the question!” she screams, clearly getting side glances from pedestrians, but she’s sweating and desperate. Now it’s just hard to breathe.

“It was… I think it was-” 

Rey’s phone vibrates against her ear and when she looks at the screen, it’s her children’s school that’s calling. And of course, it’s rude and completely improper to hang up on her boyfriend. Especially when he’s in the hospital after an accident. 

But something inside of Rey roars. Bubbling in her stomach like fire, burning her from the inside out with a panic that has her hands trembling. Something is wrong, incredibly wrong, and she needs her children now. She needs them all together, backed into a corner and in her eyesight so she can be ready to protect them. 

Rey hangs up on Snap and answers the elementary school number. She prays that it's just Makaria who has hit someone or that it’s just Ben that’s dramatically crying after mommy’s warmth. Just prays that everything is normal. 

“Ms. Niima,” a panicked teacher begins. “We had a substitute teacher who couldn’t possibly know but your children have been picked up by a man who claims to be their father. Should we call the police?” 

The phone vibrates once again and it’s a message from Snap. 

It was a black SUV. 

A quiet second passed by, Rey’s mind blank. She blinks at her screen. One, two, three times. She cannot hear the cars driving by, nor the teacher asking if she’s still present on the phone. Everything stills, eyes re-reading the words a hundred times, and Rey fears that the next moment is when she simply dies. When it becomes too much for her system. 

It’s way too quiet inside of her and Rey recognizes it as the calm before the storm. The calm before she loses her shit. And she loses it when Snap sends the last text. 

And what did you mean by flowers? I never bought you any.