Actions

Work Header

Jeweled Masks and Satin Gowns

Summary:

The list of things Louis would not do to be with Edward is an embarrassingly short list - and shockingly enough, dressing up as a noble woman is not on it.

Work Text:

"I can't believe I let you talk me into this."

Louis's complaint is low and hissed through his teeth, while he keeps his lips turned up into a properly polite smile. His mask does not cover his lower face, after all - only enough to make it impossible for anyone to actually place him as Edward's butler rather than a noble woman.

He understands why it was necessary for him to wear the mask, and even the wig - though he could have done with a shorter one. The dress, however, is something that had thrown him entirely for a loop - and, again, he can't believe he let Edward talk him into it.

"It's fine," Edward whispers back to him, hiding his own mouth by pretending to adjust his own mask. "I admit, it may have been overkill, but did you really want to risk being discovered?"

Louis winces a little at the thought, and shakes his head. "No, I suppose not."

Edward hums. He seems to be about to say something else, but before he can, the music starts, urging people either to leave the dance floor or find a dance partner if they want to stay. Some of the masked women immediately look to Edward, marking him by his silver hair - even with a mask, that's a dead giveaway to his identity. However, Edward ignores all of them in favor of Louis - he holds out a hand, and with his usual, gentle smile, asks, "May I have this dance?"

Louis, for the time being, lets go of his annoyance at his own attire, and places a hand in Edward's. Without having much confidence in how well he can mask his voice - he'd practiced for the past week or so, but he was certain he'd failed entirely in his efforts - he only gives a nod as his reply. It's enough, though. Edward beams, and places his other hand on Louis's waist. The touch sends a jolt through Louis, makes it all the more clear to him that they're dancing together, in public.

He gives Edward a somewhat shaky smile, and places his hand on the prince's shoulder.


Between the songs, Louis tries his best to stay quiet, and only speak to Edward. If someone else approaches Edward, Louis backs off as discreetly as possible - so he doesn't have to talk to them as well. Whenever Edward is done talking to whoever, he seeks Louis out again, always with a gentle smile and a touch to his hand, or his waist.

Near the end of the party - with just over an hour left - Edward leans close to him, and whispers into his ear, "What do you think... About us sneaking out early?"

Louis's heart jumps. He glances around nervously. "Will you be noticed?"

"Surely not. By now, it seems many have accepted that you're the only one I have my eye on tonight."

Louis's heart lurches at those words, and he toys nervously with the ends of the too-long wig. "...Okay," he murmurs. "Let's go."


They slip out of the building, and Edward immediately presses Louis to the nearest wall. It's a gentle touch - Louis knows he could push Edward away if he really wanted to.

Instead of that, though, he smiles and drapes his arms loosely around the prince's shoulders. He tilts his chin up, ever-so-slightly - almost daring Edward to close the distance.

It's an invitation Edward readily takes. Their lips meet, loving but desperate. It's a rare occurrence, for them to have time to themselves - out of the eye of even a single servant or knight. Even when they do have that time, Louis often finds that it's not a very long length of time - they usually can barely exchange a peck or two before someone comes around, risking them being discovered.

Perhaps that had been why Edward suggested this ridiculous scheme, he thinks, as their lips meet over and over, soft but wanting. He can understand it. He will admit that he rather enjoyed tonight, being able to openly look at, talk to, and dance with Edward.

To kiss him like this, without worrying that they will be caught.

He feels Edward's fingers skirt over his hip, a gentle, sensual touch that makes him gasp and cling to Edward. He feels a soft, breathless chuckle against his mouth, and he bites at Edward's lips lightly in response.

They separate, and Edward's eyes glow in the moonlight as he murmurs, "Shall we walk back into the castle? We can sneak in through the secret route."

Louis can't help but laugh, but he nods fervently. "I left a ladder just in case," he says, pressing one final kiss to Edward's lips.

Edward grins at him, and reaches to gently remove his mask, and then Louis's. Louis feels his face heat up - somehow, having his face unobscured while he's wearing this outfit is far more embarrassing.

If Edward notices his embarrassment, he doesn't show it. He takes Louis's hand into his own, and leads him off into the night.