Actions

Work Header

At Last I See The Light

Chapter 4: Taking Her First Steps

Summary:

Rey leaves the tower for the first time in her life, but has conflicting feelings about her new sense of freedom.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The tower only had one entrance and exit, which was the window right on the top. For so long, it had been what was keeping Rey from the outside world, the only thing that could give her a taste of what it was like. She would stare at the grass and the river below, wondering what they felt like. How soft the grass was and how clean the water could be. All of these thoughts, yet she could not leave no matter what.

But now, Rey will finally get her answers as she was finally taking down that barrier.

She was leaving the tower for the first time in her life.

Overwhelmed by feelings of terror and nervousness, Rey hesitated at the window. Finn had already gone down, using rope to slide to the ground. He was waiting for her, yet Rey could not feel any sort of movement from herself. She tried to move her feet closer, but was unable to. 

So many thoughts swirled around her head. What if Grandfather found out? What if they couldn’t make it to the kingdom? What if she really couldn’t handle herself? She was able to knock out one guy with her staff, but how would she deal with multiple? Grandfather always said that she wouldn’t be able to survive the outdoors. Even with the Force as an ally, it couldn’t save her from the ruffians and thugs that wanted her healing.

Then Rey looked back at her painting, seeing the drawn version of herself living out her dream. She made a deal with Finn to take her to see the lanterns. She could not back out if it and she couldn’t stop herself from having everything she ever imagined. Rey was not staying inside anymore. She trusted in the Force, as it was telling her that this was the right thing to do. 

Rey picked up D-O and placed him inside the satchel around her shoulder. Her best friend would come see the lanterns with her, which he was happy about. She grabbed the rope, taking a deep breath as she prepared herself. Then she took her leap of faith.

Wind flew in her face as she slid down the rope. Rey laughed as she saw everything outside get closer and closer. Once she got close to the ground, she stopped herself as she dangled just above the grass. Slowly, she lowered one foot and then the other, the grass tickling her bare feet.

That was when it began to set in. Rey giggled as she laid down on the grass, letting it surround her whole body. A dandelion was next to her, its seeds being blown away by the wind. She chased after them, but froze in place when she felt cold water flow between her toes. Rey reached down and cupped the water in her hands, throwing it above her head.

”Wow, you really haven’t been outside,” Finn commented, his sudden voice startling Rey, as she had forgotten he was there.

”No… I haven’t,” Rey replied with a blush on her cheeks. “This is just… exhilarating!”

Finn smiled at her, not shaming her for never leaving before this. “There’s a lot more to see than this,” he told her. 

Rey looked over at the vines and lichen that covered the tunnel leading to the forest. She always watched Grandfather go in and out of the tunnel, always wondering what was on the other side. Now she would finally get to see it.

She took off running towards the tunnel, her heart pounding faster with each step she took. Rey pushed the vines out of the way as she finally made it to the other side. Trees stood tall as birds flew past her, the sun shining down brightly as she took in her surroundings. That was when it finally set in for her.

Rey had left the tower.

She was free.

”I can’t believe I did this!” Rey happily exclaimed to herself. But then fear started coming in, her smile going away. “I can’t believe I did this…”

Then the fear completely went away. “I CAN’T BELIEVE I DID THIS!” She shouted, laughing to herself.

Then the fear came back. “Grandfather will be so furious,” she muttered to herself.

“I mean, that’s okay!” Rey spoke to a flower as she sat on a rock on a lake, Finn watching her. “What he doesn’t know won’t kill him, right?”

”Kriff…” Rey’s voice echoed as she sat inside a cave, curled up in a ball. “This would kill him.”

Rey ran through the fields as Finn stood by, not sure what to say to her constant mood swings. She smiled wide, enjoying the feeling of the grass beneath her.

”THIS IS SO FUN!” Rey yelled, kicking a leaf pile as she passed by Finn, some of the leaves landing on his head.

Finn had no idea how she climbed a large tree, but Rey had done it, standing on a large branch as she rested her head on the tree. D-O watched as well, just as confused.

”I am a horrible granddaughter,” Rey told herself. “I’m going back.”

”I AM NEVER GOING BACK!” Rey screamed at the top of her lungs, rolling down a hill and laughing.

”I am a despicable human being,” Rey groaned, lying face first into the grass, a worried Finn and D-O next to her.

”WOOHOO!” Rey yelled, running around a tree and jumping in the air, D-O following her while Finn was just leaning up against the tree. “BEST. DAY. EVER!”

Rey then resorted to just crying into her hands, sitting by a large stone as she let it all out. D-O stood next to her, asking her if she was okay. Finn then sat down by her, having witnessed all of these mood swings and wanting to do something to help her. He knew that this was her first time outside, but he didn’t know that there was someone behind this. Clearly this grandfather of hers was overprotective of her, the reason why, he was unsure.

”You know, I can’t help but notice,” Finn spoke up. “You seem to be a little at war with yourself about this.”

The girl looked up at him, a confused expression on her face. “What?” She questioned, unsure of what he meant.

”You just keep mentioning this grandfather of yours who seems to be really overprotective,” Finn told her. “Clearly he didn’t want you to go on this little field trip, but you’re out here now. And you know what? It’s a good thing to rebel and go on the adventure of a lifetime. Independence is important.”

Rey shrugged as she wiped away her tears. “Easy for you to say, you’re a Resistance member,” she remarked, which made Finn look away. “You get to fight for the kingdom and protect it. I’ve lived in a tower my whole life with nothing to do but paint the walls and spend time with D-O.”

“Fun for me,” D-O commented, which made Rey chuckle.

”That’s good to hear,” Rey replied. Then she groaned and threw her head back. “I just can’t help but feel a little guilty about this. I’ve never gone behind my Grandfather’s back like this before. The most I did was teach myself how to use a staff as a weapon. Now I’m breaking the most important rule he’s given me, and I am the only one who can know what I did.”

Finn bit his lip, sympathetic to her. He thought of all the times he had wanted to leave the First Order, but never could. It only took him committing the highest offense towards the kingdom to do so, and now he was a wanted man. But Rey didn’t need to know that part. Once he brought her back to the tower, he’d never see her again. They made a deal that he would take her to the kingdom and he would see it through. That’s what an honorable man did. The type of person he wanted to be.

”Trust me when I say that this is a good thing for you,” Finn reassured her. “It’s a great choice, you’re just overthinking it. Your grandfather doesn’t have to know anything about this. And if he does find out, it’ll already be done and he can’t do anything about it. It’s all going to work out.”

Rey smiled at him and stood up, Finn doing the same. “Thanks, I appreciate it,” she told him.

Just then, they both heard rustling noises from a nearby bush. Rey immediately shoved Finn aside and grabbed her quarterstaff from around her shoulder, pointing it at the bush. She seemed to be brave and focused, but Finn noticed that she was shaking. Fear was in her eyes, as if something programmed her to be afraid of the slightest noise. The thief assumed that this might be her Grandfather’s doing, but he didn’t say a word.

“SHOW YOURSELF, RUFFIAN!” Rey shouted, tightening her grip on her staff.

That was when a bunny jumped out from the bush, its wide eyes staring up at the girl. Rey’s eyes widened, but she kept her staff up. “Be careful, Rey!” Finn teased her. “It can probably smell your fear!”

Rey lowered her staff, looking extremely embarrassed. “Sorry, Finn,” she said, refusing to make eye contact. “I can get… a bit jumpy sometimes.”

Finn nodded at her and patted her shoulder. “Then we’ll just avoid any kind of ruffian or thug, especially the First Order,” he replied. 

“That would be… it’d be the best,” Rey agreed, putting her staff back over her shoulder.

”Though I do have to make a stop somewhere before we get to the kingdom,” Finn sheepishly said. “It’s just the Resistance headquarters. Gotta tell them that I have the stolen treasure and they can help keep the guards from mistaking me for a criminal.”

Rey looked nervous, but she nodded. “Okay then,” she replied.

Finn then took her band and led Rey through the forest.

Notes:

Next Chapter: Finn takes Rey to the Resistance headquarters, but may run into some trouble when the guards show up.

We will be meeting the Resistance soon enough! There’s just the whole thing of Finn lying to Rey about being a part of it and whether or not they will reveal to her the truth. Ah well, it gives Rey more human interactions!

See you next chapter!